2.42/5

437 Whirlpool Dishwashers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I purchased a Whirlpool 3 years ago. It was on the lower end for price so my expectations were not that high. It does an average job cleaning dishes so for the price I could give it 4/5. The pump and motor just went and had to be replaced. Almost the same cost as replacing the whole machine. The repair technician that did the work stated that this was a very common problem with Whirlpool in recent years. Of course this is not covered by warranty. So if you purchase a Whirlpool realize you are rolling the dice.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

This Maytag dishwasher is awful. The parent company is Whirlpool and their customer service is as bad as their products. I bought this dishwasher and less than a week later the pump isn't working and stagnant water is sitting in the machine. It took Whirlpool 3 weeks to replace the machine and they sent over another defective machine. This time it lasted less than 2 days. The Whirlpool customer reps are rude and vindictive and antagonize the customer with their lack of service. Called corporate office with no help from Cust. Service and was told to leave a message with the operator and await a callback. With this fiasco I wouldn't buy another Whirlpool or Maytag product again. BTW. I'm still awaiting my callback from the corporate office... I'm not holding my breath. I called the company that I bought the dishwasher from to see if they can help me unload this machine and get a different brand...

Get expert buying tips about Dishwashers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Bought a Whirlpool dishwasher and just over a year later all the wheels fell off the bottom rack. Called to get replacements and it was going to cost me over $200. I paid $800 for the whole machine. I would NOT recommend Whirlpool. I have now heard of other people having the same issue. Very disappointed. Will probably buy a new dishwasher as it will probably happen again with the replacement wheels.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

In 2016 I purchased a Gold Series dishwasher. In 2017 Had to have the door replaced because of bubbling paint and rust around exhaust vent. Door was replaced by Whirlpool. It's 2017 and the same thing is happening again. They are sending a technician out again. This is obviously a defect in this model no. (WDT720PAPW2). I wish Whirlpool would just give us a refund. I have a feeling that the doors will be replaced yearly. Plastic parts fall off occasionally. Pots and pans do not come out clean. I have to hand wash those. Will not clean off Barbecue sauce off of the silverware. It was also very difficult to install, and sticks out past the cabinets. I am very disappointed with this product.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Purchased this dishwasher in 2015. It has been horrible. The unit has never cleaned sufficiently on any cycle. I run the unit in the evening for the full cycle with heat. It takes almost 4 hours. The dishes are still soaking wet the next morning. We would be considered "light use" as a family of two. I hand wash any larger pans or cookware as the racks do not support anything of midrange weight or above.

With the poor cleaning, I purchased a additional silverware rack and placed it more centrally to attempt better cleaning. It remains mediocre at best. The most recent irritation is the door latch has started pulling free from the unit and remains attached to the door! I have to take pliers and remove it from the door and reaffix it into the housing of the unit. Will never recommend this nor will I ever purchase anything from this company in the future. Sad to see the quality falter to the point of absolute failure.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

We got a "DEAL" for this nightmare for nearly $700 back in 2014. Nothing but problems. Constantly finding plastic pieces at the bottom... some identifiable; others not. They are from the cheap parts within. The control board lights (all but 1 works) went just after the 1 yr mark. We are now having to replace the top Rack Adjuster (MORE CHEAP PLASTIC), as it has been barely hanging on for the last year and a half... constantly fighting it, as it would drop all the dishes if you moved it wrong.

Now, the water is not draining at all... period. We clean this religiously - always rinse dishes completely, use rinse aid, never stuff dishes. Today we find a random plastic piece, which we are now trying to identify. NOTE: we don't put plastics in the dishwasher. So, today a new plastic piece and major drain problems. We are in the market and purchasing a new French Door Refrigerator and Front Load Washer. Will NOT be going with anything Whirlpool. Not much better these days, but this name has a big RED NO for us. Made it even worse when we contacted for help after that 1 yr mark. NO HELP AT ALL.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I purchased a home that came with Whirlpool appliances. I begged the company for GE or Maytag. Of course they went with the cheapest they could find. I must admit the microwave gets very hot but the dishwasher is a piece of crap! The water doesn't get hot and the dryer doesn't work. They tried to tell me it NEEDED Jet-Dry. I own 4 homes and have lived in all of them. I've NEVER used Jet-Dry and all the others work perfectly. Run as far as you can from Whirlpool!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Buy anything else. This WHIRLPOOL WITH STAINLESS INTERIOR WDF560 SERIES is the worst dishwasher I've ever owned. Huge fail Whirlpool. MADE IN THE USA! I will never buy another thing you make again. I can't say ONE redeeming thing about this dishwasher. I hate it! It has a high temp wash, a Sani cycle & heated dry + a stainless tub. Using all of the above + having an SS tub yet everything comes out dripping wet. The cheap silverware baskets are poorly designed & positioned on the side to the back in addition to a tall tub making it difficult to access anything in them. The baskets are also cheap and poorly designed. All the spacings are the exactly the same with no proper spacing for pots, pans or larger items. These cheap racks will have a short life. It's outrageous to spend 649.00 for such an inferior product. Buy a cheap dishwasher! This thing is no better than a builder grade that looks good.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Whirlpool Dishwasher Model WDT7820PADMO was installed last October. Small parts began detaching themselves from the first day. Then machine leaked onto floor two weeks ago and I shut it down. As it was purchased from Sears, they and Whirlpool have batted responsibility for repairs back and forth until proof of extended warranty was supplied to Whirlpool. They then scheduled a repair job for a week later with an unqualified technician, who naturally refused the job. Upon callback, I was rescheduled for a day two weeks hence. As it turned out, the repairman would not be near my home on the appointment date. Luckily, I tried to move the appointment up, as the repair service said Whirlpool did not supply proof of the extended warranty. I saved five days waiting time by rescheduling, but have to supply proof of extended warranty yet again. All this for a dishwasher that takes three hours per load, and doesn't do a particularly good job of cleaning.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Purchased new DW 1/2017. Had problems from the beginning. Just had 4th service call, 6-11-2018. New control board and heating element installed 4/2017. Board failed again. Serviceman just left and he ordered a new board. It's a Kitchen-aid KDFE104DSS. Kitchen-aid isn't the same since Whirlpool bought them. Not going to buy Whirlpool anything again.

Original review: May 26, 2018

We've been in this house for almost 4 years so the dishwasher (Whirlpool WDT790SAYM) is no older than that, maybe even 2.5 since I think I got it home in my CX-5 which is 2.5 years old. Anyway, never really had a problem with it and we run ours maybe once a day or twice in a row every 3 days. Last night I remember running a load and this morning noticed the dishes were dirty but the inside of the tub looked clean. So I plop another pod in and tried to run it again and sat there and watched it. It filled up with water but then nothing. After 20 minutes I opened the door and steam came out so the heater element was working and there was water at the bottom. I tried various things but nothing. Canceling still works.

So either I try to get this fixed, or buy a new one. This wasn't a cheap dishwasher either. My wife balked when I 1st bought it considering she thinks a $300 model is better than most of these $500+ models. Right now I can't argue with her since we just replaced an expensive Samsung washing machine that lasted maybe 5 years. There's another review of this model on these forums and the person tried to get it repaired many times and it appears maybe the same thing is happening to us. I won't go down that road considering repairs like that exceed the cost of a new dishwasher.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Our 3 1/2 year old dishwasher is falling apart. First the left slider broke on the top rack. We ordered a replacement part ($74) and when ready to install, discovered the right rack was also falling apart. At that same moment, the rollers fell off the bottom rack! It seems the plastic parts cannot tolerate the heat in this dishwasher (just a guess). We’ve returned the new replacement part and are shopping for a new dishwasher. It will not be anything from the Whirlpool line!

Original review: April 19, 2018

The only reason I am giving it one star is because it looks good in my kitchen. This dishwasher does not clean the dishes. I’ve had it serviced twice, both having to wait for parts, I am very disappointed. Having to run the dishwasher two times to find myself hand washing... Is annoying. Dissatisfied. I don’t put certain dishes in and run very scant loads. Family of six is not happy!

Original review: March 29, 2018

What a horrible machine! From the day that it was installed not one time it gave me good cleaning. I spent so much money servicing it. Costed me over $700! I am done putting money into it! I am washing by hand! If you want a dishwasher where you can hand wash and God forbid your rinse with the machine (you will have to rewash everything) then this is the machine for you!

Original review: March 21, 2018

Purchased a Whirlpool dishwasher less than 3 years ago. Absolutely horrible! The LEDs stopped working on the control panel within the second year. A few months after that the heating element stopped working. Replacing the element and thermostat did not help. The warranty only last for a year, and now I know why. Whirlpool does not stand behind their products and they were completely unwilling to help, and were quite rude honestly. I will never buy a Whirlpool product again!

Original review: March 13, 2018

From the beginning, we were not really happy with the performance of the machine, which we felt was not cleaning as well as it should. Now it doesn't take the soap at all. The washing process goes on perfectly but without soap, so the dishes remain dirty.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Purchased 11-02-2016. This Whirlpool/Kenmore dishwasher is falling apart. Top rack wheels are totally broken, ordered parts 4 times, gave up. Now they are held together by gorilla glue. I have gone through 3 gray plastic end caps for the top rack runners. Now one is contained by a plastic slip tie. Last week it started leaking. Sears was totally useless. Whirlpool keeps sending me back to them. Now, I have to go buy another new dishwasher. It will not be a Whirlpool. Next time getting the extended warranty.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Generally great performance, however, some pots and pans require some soaking/scraping to completely clean. Glasses are clear ( with rinse aid), silverware is clean, and drying is effective.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Best stainless steel built dishwasher we could find in this price range. Well built with lots of room and easy access to both drawers. Easy to clean filters and a nice modern look.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I feel Whirlpool has a terrific portable dishwasher. I really like the way it is set up and it is a very nice looking unit. They could improve on their customer service towards their customers. My dishwasher got a crack in it at the top of the door where you open it and they would not send anyone out to fix it for me. I paid a pretty penny for this dishwasher and felt they should have fixed it for me. This happened in the 1 year warranty period. Otherwise I am very happy with it. I had previously had another one that lasted me 14 years.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

My dishwasher is more than 10 years old. It functions but the interior baskets have broken and because my counter overhangs a couple of inches from the dishwasher the steam from the dishwasher has damaged the underside of the counter. It cleans ok but I would not buy this kind of dishwasher again.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

The dishwasher performs well but it is a little loud. The salesperson said that if I had purchased the model with a stainless steel tub, it would not run as loud.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

Does ok if you rinse the dishes real good. Not the best on pots and pans. And I've tried numerous brands of dishwasher soap both liquid and powder and block. I've tried arranging dishes in every way I could think of. No change. My old Kitchen Aid did much better.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I like the dishwasher. It cleans pretty well. Some time it soap doesn't open and the dishes don’t get cleaned. But when it’s working good the dishes get cleaned very well.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

This dishwasher is so far advanced from what came with our new home 18 years ago. It is absolutely the quietest machine. You have to look at the light display to know if it is even running. It's a well thought out unit with the exception of the silverware accommodation. They used a flat low-profile basket attached to the inside of the door. Not accommodating enough space wise. Solved by augmenting the more stars compartmentalized basket that came with the old dishwasher. Would recommend and purchase again in a heartbeat!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Average throughout. Not too loud; not soft. Dishes are clean. Racks are suitable for my china. I will go with a stainless steel interior next time. In the three years I have had this machine, I have had 2 service calls.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I love my dishwasher, have had no problems and it does a great job. Stainless steel interior is a plus. Give it a try, you will be satisfied with the performance.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I have a washer, dryer, dishwasher, hood vent, stove top, and oven, all Whirlpool. I can't say enough how pleased I am with this product. My old washer and dryer was over 23 years old when I needed to replace them. Thank you Whirlpool for making such a quality product.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Quiet running, does a great job cleaning and drying the dishes, experienced some cloudiness on the glassware but found that if I position them in the middle of the upper rack that issue was solved.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

It was made in America, I just love it and seem to do a great job. I had a Kenmore from Sears, that was made in South Korea before, and it had some issues.

Whirlpool expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whirlpool is the leading manufacturer of home appliances. It operates in more than 170 countries and has global sales totaling over $20 billion.

• Discount dishwashers: Offering a full range of dishwasher products, even Whirlpool's most affordable models include features like a soil sensor.

• One-hour wash cycle: Clean dishes quickly and well using a Whirlpool dishwasher with a one-hour cycle.

• Dependable reputation: Whirlpool dishwashers have some of the lowest maintenance costs among comparable brands.

• Portable dishwashers available: Perfect for apartments or small kitchens, portable dishwashers give you more counter space where you need it.

• Say goodbye to silverware spots: With the silverware spray designed specifically for your flatware, Whirlpool gets rid of the most stubborn grime.

• Best for: Homeowners, apartment renters, families and businesses