2.82/5
Based on 53 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

428 Whirlpool Dishwashers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 11, 2018

Purchased new DW 1/2017. Had problems from the beginning. Just had 4th service call, 6-11-2018. New control board and heating element installed 4/2017. Board failed again. Serviceman just left and he ordered a new board. It's a Kitchen-aid KDFE104DSS. Kitchen-aid isn't the same since Whirlpool bought them. Not going to buy Whirlpool anything again.

Original review: May 26, 2018

We've been in this house for almost 4 years so the dishwasher (Whirlpool WDT790SAYM) is no older than that, maybe even 2.5 since I think I got it home in my CX-5 which is 2.5 years old. Anyway, never really had a problem with it and we run ours maybe once a day or twice in a row every 3 days. Last night I remember running a load and this morning noticed the dishes were dirty but the inside of the tub looked clean. So I plop another pod in and tried to run it again and sat there and watched it. It filled up with water but then nothing. After 20 minutes I opened the door and steam came out so the heater element was working and there was water at the bottom. I tried various things but nothing. Canceling still works.

So either I try to get this fixed, or buy a new one. This wasn't a cheap dishwasher either. My wife balked when I 1st bought it considering she thinks a $300 model is better than most of these $500+ models. Right now I can't argue with her since we just replaced an expensive Samsung washing machine that lasted maybe 5 years. There's another review of this model on these forums and the person tried to get it repaired many times and it appears maybe the same thing is happening to us. I won't go down that road considering repairs like that exceed the cost of a new dishwasher.

Get expert buying tips about Dishwashers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Our 3 1/2 year old dishwasher is falling apart. First the left slider broke on the top rack. We ordered a replacement part ($74) and when ready to install, discovered the right rack was also falling apart. At that same moment, the rollers fell off the bottom rack! It seems the plastic parts cannot tolerate the heat in this dishwasher (just a guess). We’ve returned the new replacement part and are shopping for a new dishwasher. It will not be anything from the Whirlpool line!

Original review: April 19, 2018

The only reason I am giving it one star is because it looks good in my kitchen. This dishwasher does not clean the dishes. I’ve had it serviced twice, both having to wait for parts, I am very disappointed. Having to run the dishwasher two times to find myself hand washing... Is annoying. Dissatisfied. I don’t put certain dishes in and run very scant loads. Family of six is not happy!

Original review: March 29, 2018

What a horrible machine! From the day that it was installed not one time it gave me good cleaning. I spent so much money servicing it. Costed me over $700! I am done putting money into it! I am washing by hand! If you want a dishwasher where you can hand wash and God forbid your rinse with the machine (you will have to rewash everything) then this is the machine for you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: March 21, 2018

Purchased a Whirlpool dishwasher less than 3 years ago. Absolutely horrible! The LEDs stopped working on the control panel within the second year. A few months after that the heating element stopped working. Replacing the element and thermostat did not help. The warranty only last for a year, and now I know why. Whirlpool does not stand behind their products and they were completely unwilling to help, and were quite rude honestly. I will never buy a Whirlpool product again!

Original review: March 13, 2018

From the beginning, we were not really happy with the performance of the machine, which we felt was not cleaning as well as it should. Now it doesn't take the soap at all. The washing process goes on perfectly but without soap, so the dishes remain dirty.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Purchased 11-02-2016. This Whirlpool/Kenmore dishwasher is falling apart. Top rack wheels are totally broken, ordered parts 4 times, gave up. Now they are held together by gorilla glue. I have gone through 3 gray plastic end caps for the top rack runners. Now one is contained by a plastic slip tie. Last week it started leaking. Sears was totally useless. Whirlpool keeps sending me back to them. Now, I have to go buy another new dishwasher. It will not be a Whirlpool. Next time getting the extended warranty.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Generally great performance, however, some pots and pans require some soaking/scraping to completely clean. Glasses are clear ( with rinse aid), silverware is clean, and drying is effective.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Best stainless steel built dishwasher we could find in this price range. Well built with lots of room and easy access to both drawers. Easy to clean filters and a nice modern look.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I feel Whirlpool has a terrific portable dishwasher. I really like the way it is set up and it is a very nice looking unit. They could improve on their customer service towards their customers. My dishwasher got a crack in it at the top of the door where you open it and they would not send anyone out to fix it for me. I paid a pretty penny for this dishwasher and felt they should have fixed it for me. This happened in the 1 year warranty period. Otherwise I am very happy with it. I had previously had another one that lasted me 14 years.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

My dishwasher is more than 10 years old. It functions but the interior baskets have broken and because my counter overhangs a couple of inches from the dishwasher the steam from the dishwasher has damaged the underside of the counter. It cleans ok but I would not buy this kind of dishwasher again.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

The dishwasher performs well but it is a little loud. The salesperson said that if I had purchased the model with a stainless steel tub, it would not run as loud.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

Does ok if you rinse the dishes real good. Not the best on pots and pans. And I've tried numerous brands of dishwasher soap both liquid and powder and block. I've tried arranging dishes in every way I could think of. No change. My old Kitchen Aid did much better.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I like the dishwasher. It cleans pretty well. Some time it soap doesn't open and the dishes don’t get cleaned. But when it’s working good the dishes get cleaned very well.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

This dishwasher is so far advanced from what came with our new home 18 years ago. It is absolutely the quietest machine. You have to look at the light display to know if it is even running. It's a well thought out unit with the exception of the silverware accommodation. They used a flat low-profile basket attached to the inside of the door. Not accommodating enough space wise. Solved by augmenting the more stars compartmentalized basket that came with the old dishwasher. Would recommend and purchase again in a heartbeat!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Average throughout. Not too loud; not soft. Dishes are clean. Racks are suitable for my china. I will go with a stainless steel interior next time. In the three years I have had this machine, I have had 2 service calls.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I love my dishwasher, have had no problems and it does a great job. Stainless steel interior is a plus. Give it a try, you will be satisfied with the performance.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I have a washer, dryer, dishwasher, hood vent, stove top, and oven, all Whirlpool. I can't say enough how pleased I am with this product. My old washer and dryer was over 23 years old when I needed to replace them. Thank you Whirlpool for making such a quality product.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Quiet running, does a great job cleaning and drying the dishes, experienced some cloudiness on the glassware but found that if I position them in the middle of the upper rack that issue was solved.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

It was made in America, I just love it and seem to do a great job. I had a Kenmore from Sears, that was made in South Korea before, and it had some issues.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

Have always loved Whirlpool. Like the silverware in the door. Doesn't take up space for other dishes. Cleans well and quiet. Trusted brand and would highly recommend Whirlpool. All of my appliances are Whirlpool, stove, refrigerator, washer and dryer. You might call me a diehard fan.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I like my dishwasher very much. Because we have hard well water I use Lemi Shine to cut down on any deposits. The top shelf is adjustable so that helps with large pans getting clean.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I've had this dishwasher for years and never a problem. My dishes are always clean and this dishwasher dries my dishes completely in a very short amount of time.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

The Whirlpool dishwasher is the best I have ever had! The pot scrubber just cleans anything off the dishes! I hate to wash dishes before I put them in the damn dishwasher!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Mid-sized, mid-range dishwasher. It is noisy, not quiet at all, and we must speak quite loud over it if we want to be heard. The wash cycle is quite long... not really a water saver.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

My Whirlpool dishwasher cleans ok but doesn't dry dishes when on "heat dry". Sometimes soap dispenser doesn't open so have to restart from the beginning, that means also using more electricity. I'm in a rental so would never buy this product. At my home I have a Bosch which I highly recommend.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

This is a portable I purchased from an extended family member. She got it new from Sears a couple yrs ago. I do not have a built in dishwasher and needed one to help when others were here. It works great.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I like the looks with brushed stainless steel and black. The most difficulty was getting someone to help get it and load it. But other than that, I've had no problems with the dishwasher.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I have a portable dishwasher. It does not dry the dishes when cycle is completed. I have to either leave the door open or take them out and towel dry them.

Whirlpool expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whirlpool is the leading manufacturer of home appliances. It operates in more than 170 countries and has global sales totaling over $20 billion.

• Discount dishwashers: Offering a full range of dishwasher products, even Whirlpool's most affordable models include features like a soil sensor.

• One-hour wash cycle: Clean dishes quickly and well using a Whirlpool dishwasher with a one-hour cycle.

• Dependable reputation: Whirlpool dishwashers have some of the lowest maintenance costs among comparable brands.

• Portable dishwashers available: Perfect for apartments or small kitchens, portable dishwashers give you more counter space where you need it.

• Say goodbye to silverware spots: With the silverware spray designed specifically for your flatware, Whirlpool gets rid of the most stubborn grime.

• Best for: Homeowners, apartment renters, families and businesses