Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
Whirlpool Dishwashers
3.95/5

Whirlpool Dishwashers

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

451 Whirlpool Dishwashers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 18, 2019

7 months ago we had a Whirlpool dishwasher installed into our home. While away on vacation the piece inside malfunctioned and caused major damage as water filled the home. Whirlpool claims, that because it’s a part that they contract out to another company, they “Whirlpool” are not responsible! If you purchase a product from Whirlpool and they put their name on that product, then Whirlpool should stand by its product. Well... beware, you’re not going to compensate from Whirlpool! We urge you, make sure of whom the parts of the product your buying from belong to, before you buy it FIRST! Never again!

Original review: March 5, 2019

I don't take pleasure in writing this review and to the readers, please know that this is the truth without bias. Before you buy from Whirlpool or purchase their extended warranty, you should know: I am writing this review based on my personal experience. I purchased the extended warranty in 2017 (approximate) for three years. In 11/2018, our Whirlpool dishwasher, model wdt920sadm2, which was purchased with our new home in 06/2016, began having issues and was not drying the dishes properly. I called Whirlpool warranty and requested service.

Approximately 10 days later, a repairman from Convenience Appliances Service Inc. (repair tech) came and fixed that problem (wasn't drying). My wife turned on the dishwasher the very same day and we came back and the floor was flooded with water. We believe this was contributed to the initial repair and has never happened prior to that. Fast forward, approximately 5 service calls or more later (not embellishing), the dishwasher is still not repaired and the technician can’t figure out where the leak is coming from. On 02/25/2019, I received a phone call from Ms. **, Whirlpool/AIG care team (AIG is the underwriter) and was offered $540.75 and I would be required to complete a “proof of destruction affirmation” form.

I accepted the offer and received an email the same day stating: "Thank you for contacting Whirlpool Extended Service Plans Consumer Care Team. Per our conversation, I have attached the affirmation of destruction for your dishwasher. Please verify the information, sign, and return to us. Once we receive the affirmation of destruction back, we will start to process your prepaid debit card. That card takes 10 to 15 business days to process and will arrive to you by FedEx. If you have further questions or concerns regarding your Whirlpool appliances, please contact us directly by calling toll-free (866) 931-7390 to reach a representative for immediate addressing of these issues between 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET daily, or by emailing AIGservice@whirlpool.com whenever the need arises. Sincerely, Mable. U.S. AIG CARE TEAM."

That same day, I received an emailed the affirmation of destruction form back to Whirlpool on 02/25/2019. I was impressed at the time that they reviewed the repair case history and made this fair offer. My wife and I began to look for a new dishwasher and canceled the future service appointment with Convenience Appliance Services because of the offer and acceptance.

On 03/01/2019, I received a call from Convenience Appliance stating that Whirlpool contacted them and they are taking back their offer because their employee (Whirlpool) didn’t follow the terms of the contract. I called Whirlpool/AIG care team and spoke to ByonBera who stated that she was sorry to hear this complaint and would forward this to her manager for resolution. On 03/04/2019, I received an additional call from the Convenience Appliance Services Inc. and they stated that Whirlpool representative was not very nice to them and that they still wanted them to come out again to my residence on 03/11/2019.

On 03/04/2019, I called Whirlpool/AIG care team again, and spoke to Tandy, who again apologized and read their company script and that they are sorry but still reneged on their offer. She then transferred me to John, who again read through his script/terms of the policy. I explained in detail that Whirlpool contacted (as per their email) me directly and they made the deal. I never called and asked. I completed the affirmation of destruction as requested and was promised $540.75 within 10 to 15 days by FedEx. John stated that he would have to kick this up to their resolution department above him to see if this can be rectified. John stated that this has never happened where the customer is involved (mistakes are normally caught before the customer is contacted) and that he could understand my complaint and frustrations.

I received a call back from John on 03/04/2019 that Whirlpool will not keep their offer and that a repairman will go out as scheduled even though they made the offer without solicitation! Incredibly upsetting and disappointed!!! I have never experience anything even close to this from a major company like Whirlpool. It is evident that they don’t keep their word, that customer satisfaction doesn’t matter even if they are 100 percent wrong, and that their dealing are very deceitful!

We since canceled our order for a new dishwasher and are now forced to wait for the next repair attempts again. If you get anything from this long-winded review, really think twice of making a Whirlpool purchase, or their extended warranty! Whirlpool really could care less of their customers and in addition, their warranty, in my opinion, is a scam. After this I, nor my family will ever purchase a Whirlpool brand appliance again. So please be careful and learn from my experience. Never again! Whirlpool should be ashamed of themselves.

Get expert buying tips about Dishwashers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Less than 3.5 years use on a 2015 Whirlpool dishwasher...total costs to repair would be $600. This just to let other know. Whirlpool did nothing for me when the same issue showed 15 months after purchase and again 18 months later. Absolutely horrible experience. I don't want them to contact me and I post this as a warning to others. They just want to sell you high priced service contracts. Terrible dishwasher and even worse customer service.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Whirlpool Gold appliances are junk!!! Our dishwasher just stopped working one day. It was about 2 years old. We tried all the troubleshooting ideas we found on the internet. Nothing worked. I had a 13 Year old working dishwasher when I bought this one. Sure wish I had left well enough alone. I think there should be a class action lawsuit against Whirlpool. I had also purchased a new electric range... It is constantly giving me an error message when I try to use the oven. We have to flip the breaker and that sometimes helps. I bought 4 of the Gold appliances... I’m holding my breath on the other 2. I thought I had done a good job researching before I bought. I remodeled my kitchen. It turns out that a company that I believed was reputable and worthy of my business are not.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

We had an old Whirlpool dishwasher that worked great for over 20 years. It had the ole tried and true knobs in front. We replaced it with another Whirlpool when we updated the kitchen. That one had the new electronic panel in front, it lasted 6 years then we had all kinds of problems and finally replaced it with a Bosch, also with a electronic control panel. We have had this one 4 years and it is not working at all. Won't start and keep a cycle on. Spent $500 on it and it's a piece of crap. Thousands of complaints on the internet for these new types of dishwashers. The electronic controls panel are faulty, and probably get wet from repeated use. Go back to the knobs. They worked for years and years!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

We bought the Whirlpool Gold Stainless Steel dishwasher around 4 years ago and the pump and motor assembly went out. We spent top dollar on this dishwasher and should of lasted a lot longer. I’m no longer going to buy anything Whirlpool makes.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I bought this dishwasher in Nov. 2018 to replace one that was barely working. I have enjoyed using it much more than my old one. It's very quiet and does a great job of cleaning dishes, pans and silverware. The only problem we had was installing it. The leveling screws do not hold their height adjustment when the dishwasher is pushed across the floor during installation because the leveling screw pad was changed from steel to plastic and the tapped hole for the leveling screw is too loose. The effect of this - whereas the steel pad would slide the plastic pad will grab, turn and move the leveling screw out of adjustment. Especially if it's tapped hole is too loose. So we went to Home Depot and bought 4 5/16 nuts and used them as lock nuts on the 4 leveling screws. This cost 50 cents.

Once we installed it everything worked perfectly. It does take longer to complete a cycle than my old one - 3 hours vs. 2 but it uses less water and does a great job of cleaning. You must use a drying agent with your dish soap or it won't get dry enough. Also, if you use the short 1 hour wash it won't have as much time to dry and some dishes won't be completely dry. I usually wait to do a full wash with the normal cycle - 3 hour.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I bought the Ikea dishwasher (model IUD8500BX1) in 2014. Because it’s from Ikea, it has 5 year warranty. I was using it daily, as I have a family of 5 and we cook and eat at home most days. I have called Whirlpool at least 4 times according to the repairman that was here today. I've already had to replace the pump because it was holding up water. After which, mold started occurring in the washer. The technician who came out found 4 fault codes on the machine. He was prepared to replace sensors and the circuit board for the heater and the pump, since it likely had mold. But Whirlpool says the parts are "functional" therefore the replacement parts won’t fix it. He is not allowed to replace anything.

Considering the mold is an after effect of the failure to drain, you would think they would fix the mold as well. A replacement dishwasher would be nice, but at least replacement of the internal plastic parts that I can't clean. Instead, they tell me to bleach wash it and run a cycle with bleach. Guess what, I've already done that. And according to the technician he's never seen a dishwasher have this much mold when it’s used as often as I use it. If you are buying this product thinking they will stand by their product, think again.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

We replaced our kitchen appliances and went with Whirlpool. The oven and Refrigerator haven't had any issues yet but the dishwasher has been crap since it was installed. While it looks 10 times better than my old dirty dishwasher it replaced, its main function of washing dishes is 1/4 the of the quality after running two or three times. Not to mention the average cycle time is 4-8 hrs. Dishwashers by design, should be convenient and save time. Whirlpool managed to remove both of those traits from this Dishwasher and now their "warranty" service said they can send out a technician but I will have to pay for it if it’s not covered under warranty!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

We special ordered this from Lowe's a few years ago. It was not a cheap model. The top rack has broken and we had to pay to have it fixed. The plastic rollers on the bottom keep breaking. That happened at the 1 year mark. Now the heating element at the bottom is rusted and the piece that is supposed to turn to disperse the water does not turn. I am so very disappointed!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

We purchased a Whirlpool Overhead microwave and Quiet Dishwasher in May of 2017. Within the first year, the microwave needed new sensors installed. The repair person said this was a design flaw and he was getting many calls. Then at 13 months, the dishwasher wouldn't drain. The repair person fixed the problem and left reset directions because this can commonly happen. Now at 18 months later, the drainage problem won't resolve even with the reset. Whirlpool extended the warranty by 6 months but won't cover this repair. Two appliances, two problems. Don't buy Whirlpool.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Whirlpool corporation is one of the worst company I'm dealing with, we bought a new home and had new Whirlpool appliance incorrectly installed in Sept 2018, I raised a ticket in Oct 2018 for my dishwasher which doesn't open properly, flamingo services in Atlanta came and unplugged dishwasher saying it's not installed properly. I wait for more than 30 days for parts to arrive and my dishwasher to be fixed. Called Whirlpool/Flamingo. Both don't give confirmation as to when the parts will arrive (note they haven't been shipped by distributor). Wow seriously???

Please I'm already facing inconvenience since more than month on a brand New appliance. They say no compensation no replacement. Only I will have to wait indefinite time for dishwasher to be shipped and repaired. So much of inconvenience and customer service says she will not call me back and I will have to follow up? What service is this, infinite wait??? Mine is still in warranty, #Georgia #cumming

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Machine was leaking underneath. Had an independent person to check it out and it was determined that it was leaking from underneath the pump. He was not equipped to do the repair himself but I paid him for his time. I then called Whirlpool and they referred me to one of their authorized repair service contractor. The technician, who came over, had been made aware of what the problem was and confirmed by looking under the machine, which had been left opened, that this was the problem. I had to pay him $100 for the service call and this would also apply to the next call to repair it by replacing the pump and assembly for $244 for the parts.

I since learned that a pump could be ordered for $149 without the assembly but would require more work to install without the assembly coming with it. I also had purchased an extended warranty from Sears But they are no longer in business in Canada, as we know. I called Whirlpool in Canada to explain the situation as such and asked if perhaps they could give me a discount on the purchase of the pump and assembly and after being put on hold for a number of times I was told no since the warranty had expired. The machine is close to 5 years only.

May I add that if you call the service repair directly instead of going through Whirlpool themselves, the service call is much less which I also brought to their attention but they did not seem to care. I looked at other reviews and I saw that other people had similar problems with the machine. Whirlpool is not a good reliable company and one should not deal with them. Buy from a reputable manufacturer with a good track record.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Purchased a Gold Series Whirlpool dishwasher, Mo. No. WDT720PADW2, From Maruszcak in Schererville, In. on 1-29-16. Approximately a year later door was replaced by Whirlpool because of paint problem due to faulty design. Replaced door is now peeling and rusting by exhaust vent also. Contacted Whirlpool and they will do nothing more. They said it was a favor the first time they replaced the door. They feel this is a cosmetic problem! I paid a total of $675.03, Their repairman would charge a $100.00 to look at it and another $235.00 for a new door.

I feel this is a design problem and they should replace it with a new model, a refund would be better. Very unlikey, because Whirlpool does not stand behind their products. The line also includes Maytag, Jenn-Air, Amana and Hot Point. Besides this I have found plastic pieces that have fallen off! I had to use plastic ties to keep them in place. Dishwasher does not clean well. Have to rinse everything first. Products are bad, stay away from them!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I purchased a Whirlpool 3 years ago. It was on the lower end for price so my expectations were not that high. It does an average job cleaning dishes so for the price I could give it 4/5. The pump and motor just went and had to be replaced. Almost the same cost as replacing the whole machine. The repair technician that did the work stated that this was a very common problem with Whirlpool in recent years. Of course this is not covered by warranty. So if you purchase a Whirlpool realize you are rolling the dice.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

This Maytag dishwasher is awful. The parent company is Whirlpool and their customer service is as bad as their products. I bought this dishwasher and less than a week later the pump isn't working and stagnant water is sitting in the machine. It took Whirlpool 3 weeks to replace the machine and they sent over another defective machine. This time it lasted less than 2 days. The Whirlpool customer reps are rude and vindictive and antagonize the customer with their lack of service. Called corporate office with no help from Cust. Service and was told to leave a message with the operator and await a callback. With this fiasco I wouldn't buy another Whirlpool or Maytag product again. BTW. I'm still awaiting my callback from the corporate office... I'm not holding my breath. I called the company that I bought the dishwasher from to see if they can help me unload this machine and get a different brand...

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Bought a Whirlpool dishwasher and just over a year later all the wheels fell off the bottom rack. Called to get replacements and it was going to cost me over $200. I paid $800 for the whole machine. I would NOT recommend Whirlpool. I have now heard of other people having the same issue. Very disappointed. Will probably buy a new dishwasher as it will probably happen again with the replacement wheels.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

In 2016 I purchased a Gold Series dishwasher. In 2017 Had to have the door replaced because of bubbling paint and rust around exhaust vent. Door was replaced by Whirlpool. It's 2017 and the same thing is happening again. They are sending a technician out again. This is obviously a defect in this model no. (WDT720PAPW2). I wish Whirlpool would just give us a refund. I have a feeling that the doors will be replaced yearly. Plastic parts fall off occasionally. Pots and pans do not come out clean. I have to hand wash those. Will not clean off Barbecue sauce off of the silverware. It was also very difficult to install, and sticks out past the cabinets. I am very disappointed with this product.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Purchased this dishwasher in 2015. It has been horrible. The unit has never cleaned sufficiently on any cycle. I run the unit in the evening for the full cycle with heat. It takes almost 4 hours. The dishes are still soaking wet the next morning. We would be considered "light use" as a family of two. I hand wash any larger pans or cookware as the racks do not support anything of midrange weight or above.

With the poor cleaning, I purchased a additional silverware rack and placed it more centrally to attempt better cleaning. It remains mediocre at best. The most recent irritation is the door latch has started pulling free from the unit and remains attached to the door! I have to take pliers and remove it from the door and reaffix it into the housing of the unit. Will never recommend this nor will I ever purchase anything from this company in the future. Sad to see the quality falter to the point of absolute failure.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

We got a "DEAL" for this nightmare for nearly $700 back in 2014. Nothing but problems. Constantly finding plastic pieces at the bottom... some identifiable; others not. They are from the cheap parts within. The control board lights (all but 1 works) went just after the 1 yr mark. We are now having to replace the top Rack Adjuster (MORE CHEAP PLASTIC), as it has been barely hanging on for the last year and a half... constantly fighting it, as it would drop all the dishes if you moved it wrong.

Now, the water is not draining at all... period. We clean this religiously - always rinse dishes completely, use rinse aid, never stuff dishes. Today we find a random plastic piece, which we are now trying to identify. NOTE: we don't put plastics in the dishwasher. So, today a new plastic piece and major drain problems. We are in the market and purchasing a new French Door Refrigerator and Front Load Washer. Will NOT be going with anything Whirlpool. Not much better these days, but this name has a big RED NO for us. Made it even worse when we contacted for help after that 1 yr mark. NO HELP AT ALL.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I purchased a home that came with Whirlpool appliances. I begged the company for GE or Maytag. Of course they went with the cheapest they could find. I must admit the microwave gets very hot but the dishwasher is a piece of crap! The water doesn't get hot and the dryer doesn't work. They tried to tell me it NEEDED Jet-Dry. I own 4 homes and have lived in all of them. I've NEVER used Jet-Dry and all the others work perfectly. Run as far as you can from Whirlpool!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Buy anything else. This WHIRLPOOL WITH STAINLESS INTERIOR WDF560 SERIES is the worst dishwasher I've ever owned. Huge fail Whirlpool. MADE IN THE USA! I will never buy another thing you make again. I can't say ONE redeeming thing about this dishwasher. I hate it! It has a high temp wash, a Sani cycle & heated dry + a stainless tub. Using all of the above + having an SS tub yet everything comes out dripping wet. The cheap silverware baskets are poorly designed & positioned on the side to the back in addition to a tall tub making it difficult to access anything in them. The baskets are also cheap and poorly designed. All the spacings are the exactly the same with no proper spacing for pots, pans or larger items. These cheap racks will have a short life. It's outrageous to spend 649.00 for such an inferior product. Buy a cheap dishwasher! This thing is no better than a builder grade that looks good.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Whirlpool Dishwasher Model WDT7820PADMO was installed last October. Small parts began detaching themselves from the first day. Then machine leaked onto floor two weeks ago and I shut it down. As it was purchased from Sears, they and Whirlpool have batted responsibility for repairs back and forth until proof of extended warranty was supplied to Whirlpool. They then scheduled a repair job for a week later with an unqualified technician, who naturally refused the job. Upon callback, I was rescheduled for a day two weeks hence. As it turned out, the repairman would not be near my home on the appointment date. Luckily, I tried to move the appointment up, as the repair service said Whirlpool did not supply proof of the extended warranty. I saved five days waiting time by rescheduling, but have to supply proof of extended warranty yet again. All this for a dishwasher that takes three hours per load, and doesn't do a particularly good job of cleaning.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Purchased new DW 1/2017. Had problems from the beginning. Just had 4th service call, 6-11-2018. New control board and heating element installed 4/2017. Board failed again. Serviceman just left and he ordered a new board. It's a Kitchen-aid KDFE104DSS. Kitchen-aid isn't the same since Whirlpool bought them. Not going to buy Whirlpool anything again.

Original review: May 26, 2018

We've been in this house for almost 4 years so the dishwasher (Whirlpool WDT790SAYM) is no older than that, maybe even 2.5 since I think I got it home in my CX-5 which is 2.5 years old. Anyway, never really had a problem with it and we run ours maybe once a day or twice in a row every 3 days. Last night I remember running a load and this morning noticed the dishes were dirty but the inside of the tub looked clean. So I plop another pod in and tried to run it again and sat there and watched it. It filled up with water but then nothing. After 20 minutes I opened the door and steam came out so the heater element was working and there was water at the bottom. I tried various things but nothing. Canceling still works.

So either I try to get this fixed, or buy a new one. This wasn't a cheap dishwasher either. My wife balked when I 1st bought it considering she thinks a $300 model is better than most of these $500+ models. Right now I can't argue with her since we just replaced an expensive Samsung washing machine that lasted maybe 5 years. There's another review of this model on these forums and the person tried to get it repaired many times and it appears maybe the same thing is happening to us. I won't go down that road considering repairs like that exceed the cost of a new dishwasher.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Our 3 1/2 year old dishwasher is falling apart. First the left slider broke on the top rack. We ordered a replacement part ($74) and when ready to install, discovered the right rack was also falling apart. At that same moment, the rollers fell off the bottom rack! It seems the plastic parts cannot tolerate the heat in this dishwasher (just a guess). We’ve returned the new replacement part and are shopping for a new dishwasher. It will not be anything from the Whirlpool line!

Original review: April 19, 2018

The only reason I am giving it one star is because it looks good in my kitchen. This dishwasher does not clean the dishes. I’ve had it serviced twice, both having to wait for parts, I am very disappointed. Having to run the dishwasher two times to find myself hand washing... Is annoying. Dissatisfied. I don’t put certain dishes in and run very scant loads. Family of six is not happy!

Original review: March 29, 2018

What a horrible machine! From the day that it was installed not one time it gave me good cleaning. I spent so much money servicing it. Costed me over $700! I am done putting money into it! I am washing by hand! If you want a dishwasher where you can hand wash and God forbid your rinse with the machine (you will have to rewash everything) then this is the machine for you!

Original review: March 21, 2018

Purchased a Whirlpool dishwasher less than 3 years ago. Absolutely horrible! The LEDs stopped working on the control panel within the second year. A few months after that the heating element stopped working. Replacing the element and thermostat did not help. The warranty only last for a year, and now I know why. Whirlpool does not stand behind their products and they were completely unwilling to help, and were quite rude honestly. I will never buy a Whirlpool product again!

Original review: March 13, 2018

From the beginning, we were not really happy with the performance of the machine, which we felt was not cleaning as well as it should. Now it doesn't take the soap at all. The washing process goes on perfectly but without soap, so the dishes remain dirty.

Whirlpool expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whirlpool is the leading manufacturer of home appliances. It operates in more than 170 countries and has global sales totaling over $20 billion.

• Discount dishwashers: Offering a full range of dishwasher products, even Whirlpool's most affordable models include features like a soil sensor.

• One-hour wash cycle: Clean dishes quickly and well using a Whirlpool dishwasher with a one-hour cycle.

• Dependable reputation: Whirlpool dishwashers have some of the lowest maintenance costs among comparable brands.

• Portable dishwashers available: Perfect for apartments or small kitchens, portable dishwashers give you more counter space where you need it.

• Say goodbye to silverware spots: With the silverware spray designed specifically for your flatware, Whirlpool gets rid of the most stubborn grime.

• Best for: Homeowners, apartment renters, families and businesses