Whirlpool Dishwashers
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Whirlpool Dishwashers

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 16, 2017

383 Whirlpool Dishwashers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

We bought the dishwasher as part of our major kitchen remodel. After 1 year, 10 months of successful operation, the wash motor failed. We are now faced with paying about 1/3 of the cost of a new unit, after less than 2 years. I don't expect new appliances to last forever, but less than 2 years is ridiculous. I would definitely not recommend this product to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Bought a Whirlpool dishwasher approx. 3 years ago from Home Depot and it just quit working. Troubleshooting did nothing. Called Whirlpool to make sure there was no recalls on it. I have owned many Whirlpool appliances and bought this last one because of past good experience. Turns out, after $300 plus repair, it was the control panel. The repairman said, "This should not have happened, it is like new." I asked him if he thought it was a lemon? He just looked down, it happens. I am so disappointed in the quality of Whirlpool. I no longer can just buy their products with confidence.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

The Gold Series Whirlpool dishwasher has some cool features for changing the configuration of the shelves, etc. After that it's all downhill. Poor washing, worse drying. In the past 6 months I've tried: less dishes, redistribute them differently every use, lower/raise upper shelf, use liquid detergent, powder packets, drying agent... nada. Absolutely NO remnant of food can be on the dishes. Of course I rinse everything well prior to loading washer; this one wants them CLEANED. I don't give a flying fig how loud a machine is as long as it's doing its job. This one quietly does very little. AND the genius who designed that horrid cutlery basket needs a new job.

The basket slides onto the inside of the door, making it difficult to reach into; it can sit on the outside of the lower tray but it falls off at the slightest disturbance. The baskets are narrow with hinged lids; the lids have small and medium slits so items are placed individually. If your cutlery is the right size! Ours is a little wide in the handle, they don't fit and must be placed into the opened, narrow baskets and butt up against each other. We are only 2 folks, I cook one meal a day and run the washer TWICE because bowls and pots take up the entire space, so I either wash the remainder by hand or keep the sink full of dirty pots and dishes. LOVELY. Bring back the old washer!!!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

My family purchased a Whirlpool stainless steel dishwasher at Lowe's for around $500. We were replacing a very old GE dishwasher which was so loud you had to leave the room anytime you started it because you couldn't even talk over it. We love the new Whirlpool dishwasher. It is so quiet we thought it was broken at first because we couldn't hear it running and even though it cleans exceptionally well we still sometimes have to look to see that the light is on to know that it's actually running. The whole family agrees this may be one of the best purchases we've ever made. The only con I could think of is my son and I put the dishwasher in ourselves and this is the first one we've ever done and the instructions weren't as clear so we had to redo the piping of the waterlines a couple of times to figure out in what order to be done. But everything hooked up correctly and worked immediately without a problem. Couldn't be happier.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

We bought a nice stainless dishwasher from them and got the three year extended warranty. Parts of the racks have slowly been breaking off, and now it's started leaking from the bottom at the end of its cycle. We called Home Depot only to find out we were 3 days over the warranty, and basically out of luck! We will never buy another Whirlpool again, or shop at Home Depot.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: July 18, 2017

We purchased our Whirlpool Gold Series dishwasher WDT790SAYM3 three years ago at Lowe's with an extra year of warranty. At first, I loved this dishwasher. It cleaned the dishes very well. Right after the dishwasher was a year old it quit washing the dishes. A repairman came and put in a new motor and it worked well again for the next year. However, as soon as our warranty expired, it quit working exactly as it had before. This time, we contacted Whirlpool's corporate office and they were kind enough to have it repaired again. At this point, I have to add that all of the wheels had fallen off of the bottom basket and were zip-tied on, and the top rack continually came off the tracks (corporate did not fix those issues). At that point, this was the 3rd motor in just over 2 years in this piece of junk.

This motor lasted 7 months before dying. In case anyone needs to know, we ran this dishwasher at least once every day, and once in a while, twice a day. To me, this is normal use. At this point, we've given up on this dishwasher. I thought it would last us a minimum of 5 years without any issues because it was the most expensive dishwasher we'd ever owned. Since we gave up on this dishwasher, we went dishwasher shopping, only to realize that whirlpool makes 90% of the dishwashers in the U.S., all with the same interior design/ basket wheels, etc. that are pure junk.

I'd rather hand wash dishes forever than waste one more penny on an appliance like this. So, after doing some research online, we're going to try a Miele, German made, dishwasher. Hopefully, it will stand up to its reputation. I want to end this by saying that my grandmother had a dishwasher that worked for 40 years. Appliance companies know what works long-term and what doesn't, and I will not support a company that mass produces trash.

Original review: July 13, 2017

3-year-old appliance with no damage. Enamel is bubbling and has rust the size of a dime. It is not exposed to water or damaged. Whirlpool's only recommendation was that I buy a new Repair +1 service plan to see "if" it would be covered under warranty. This is a product door/paint is defective not something that I should have to buy an additional repair plan for. No other options were offered. Very disappoint with the company and today's interaction.

Original review: July 13, 2017

Purchased a home recently that had a Whirlpool dishwasher installed within it. Haven't lived here for more than 2 weeks. Go to use the dishwasher a week ago and the dishwasher won't turn on. It's brand new! We tried resetting the breaker and all the tricks on the website page. So we called Whirlpool to have them send someone out and diagnose the problem... a week later. The appliance repair man comes out and says it's not receiving the proper voltage for the dishwasher to run. So I contact the electric company that installed the electric wires within the home and they came out the next day to check their work. The electrician found that there was the proper voltage coming into the lines for the dishwasher to run and in fact it is the dishwasher. So at this point I'm back to square one and called Whirlpool again.

At this point, I just wanted them to replace the dishwasher with a new one (same model, no upgrade) since it hasn't even been 30 days of owning the thing and it's already having issues. I haven't even used it once. I didn't think I was crazy for asking for a new one. Especially when the problem seems to be electrically related. They tell me another person has to come back out and deem the product unrepairable for them to exchange the product for a new one. They tell me it's going to be yet again another week for someone to come deem it repairable or not. But wait "here's a 75 dollar Visa gift card for your inconvenience." "How about you spend the 75 dollars on hiring a technician to come fix it today?"

Had a similar problem with a LG appliance and they sent me a new one with no hassle without even sending a tech out to see if it was repairable or not. Buyer's beware! Don't waste your money on Whirlpool. Clearly they do not care about their customers. They would rather spend more money in technician fees than to just admit their product isn't functioning correctly and replace it.

Original review: June 19, 2017

I paid about $400 for this dishwasher and the regular price was over $600. Got a good deal. It washed dishes wonderfully. All I had to do was scrape the chunks off. It cleaned the rest. BUT... at a certain point, it started NOT cleaning. It was only about 6-7 months old. It was to the point where everything just came out kind of slimy and food grit was re-deposited on the dishes. I cleaned both filters. I made sure there was enough Rinse-Aid all the time. I ran hot water in the sink before starting to make sure the temp was hot enough. My husband went online and someone had instructions about cleaning the water intake because it could sometimes have sediment buildup. Not a difficult process, but there was no gunk in the intake filter.

When I listened to a load it seemed like it drained, (most start with that), paused, rinsed for a couple minutes, paused, drained, paused and refilled for the wash cycle. So the pump worked, the arms went round and sprayed. Nothing was in the way of the arms. After it started the wash cycle, it seemed to just stall. It would spray for about a minute and then stop. I'm not sure it sprayed after that. The timer kept counting down. It said dishes were "clean", but it was an absolute waste of time. I was ready to go buy a cheap dishwasher and throw this one in the dumpster. I think it is a 720 padm??

Just after my husband checked the water intake filter, we started another cycle. When it was rinsing, he opened it up and everything seemed to be working ok. It drained, then filled and started the washing cycle and then stopped. He opened it back up and surprise, the water was full on the front level by the float (that turns the water filling off). But in the back of the dishwasher, there was only about an 8th of an inch of water. Online it said the water should fill to just about the top of the heating element. It WASN'T. Problem? It wasn't LEVEL. The instructions when installing said it should be leveled. We did when installing it (when it worked great). But looking back, we put in a new hardwood floor about the time it stopped working ok and we didn't put 2 and 2 together. We did not re-level. When we pushed the dishwasher back into it's built in cabinet, it must have gotten OUT of level.

The rinse part worked I guess. Then it drained and re-filled. After re-leveling the dishwasher, we opened the door at that point. The water was a level depth front to back and side to side. My husband explained what he thought had been the problem to me. When the wash cycle starts it fills, the float shuts off the water at the appropriate level. THEN... the dishwasher starts to pump and fill the arms and the tube up the back that feeds the upper washing arm. So much water goes into the arms and up that tube, the dishwasher looked almost empty of water again. As the dishwasher was now level, it began adding water to compensate for the arm/tube filling. Before the float would shut off too soon because the front part of the tub was full but the back wasn't. Without enough water, the dishes were NEVER going to/COULDN'T get clean.

The re-leveling made sure that the float didn't turn off the water filling until there was much more water, the CORRECT amount. The next load cycled all the way through, spraying much more than I'd heard before and the dishes were clean. P.S. I also got some dishwasher cleaner and used that on a couple empty cycles. I NOW "LOVE" this dishwasher again. FYI If my husband wasn't "handy" I'd have junked this thing. We HAD leveled the dishwasher when we installed it. Just didn't realize it COULD get un-level just pulling it in and out of the cabinet to install new floors. Check out all the troubleshooting stuff in the manual. But if it doesn't help, put a level inside across the bottom rack, front to back and side to side and make sure the bubble is in the middle of the two lines.

The previous dishwasher I had, just made like a fountain of water that went up the middle of the dishwasher into a sort of funnel filling the upper arm. THIS one has that tube up the back and it curls down under the filter and I'm guessing it is more sensitive to being OFF LEVEL, because the tube doesn't go straight down, it curls and lays across the bottom of the tub. Without being level, there was never enough water to suck up that tube to start the the actual wash cycle and it just stalled there till the timer said "clean" at the end. IE: dishes never did wash. BUT IT DOES NOW! Woohooooo!

Original review: June 19, 2017

We purchased a mid-grade Whirlpool Gold Series dishwasher a little over 2 years ago. 14 months in, the motor failed, requiring a $295.00 repair/replacement. That was nine months ago, and now the motor has failed again. That is outrageous! No more expensive repairs on this piece of junk. It's going to the scrap heap. We just ordered a Frigidaire. While I have no experience with that brand, it can't possibly be as bad as Whirlpool.

Original review: June 16, 2017

We purchased a Whirlpool Gold Dishwasher about 8 months ago. Immediately called for service as dishes did not clean after running over 3 hrs. Was told it is operating as designed. I followed all the tips and it still continues to not clean. Plastic wear and cups stay wet, plates aren't clean. We have changed detergents pods as well. We may junk it and buy something else. Recently purchased clothes washer and did not buy Whirlpool. Very, very disappointed. I should have kept my 12 yr. old GE Dishwasher that wasted water... But cleaned my dishes. Not happy with Whirlpool!

Original review: June 14, 2017

Good Morning. We recently built a home with Pule in Nexton, which is located in Summerville, SC. The appliances we chose came with the dishwasher, stove and microwave. Everything other than the dishwasher has been doing great, but as for the dishwasher I am extremely upset...we are newly weds and received two nice sets of glass and at least 12 of them have been broken in the dishwasher. Please advice.

Original review: June 13, 2017

I have a Whirlpool GoldSeries dishwasher and I wish I had never bought it. I’ll start with the cons because I don’t think any other dishwasher on the market matches this: After 3.5 years either the motherboard or the motor is trash. It will cost so much to fix it that buying a new dishwasher is a better option. I paid more than $800 for the dishwasher + $200 for the install + $75 for the service call to find out it is garbage. I used it about 2-3 times per week, which adds up to about 455 uses total for the time I used it. This shows that the cost of this dishwasher, without operational cost considered, is $2.36 per load (or $307.14 per year if you prefer). No other appliance I have ever owned was as expensive, over its lifetime, as this dishwasher.

Whirlpool customer service was difficult to get a hold of and then obstinate and useless. The dishwasher would stink if it was not cleaned regularly. Pros: It is quiet and it cleans the dishes well. Recommendation: Do not waste your money on this. Many other dishwashers are quiet and clean dishes but not many will be this big or expensive. A disappointment over their lifespan.

Original review: May 26, 2017

We purchased a Whirlpool Gold Series dishwasher from Lowe's approximately 2 years ago. Serial P32105232. We noticed a dark stain coming up in the hardwood floor. It was a water leak from the dishwasher appears to be from seal when water cycle leaves unit. This has caused over 70k damage to our home. Ruined entire hardwood floor kitchen cabinets warped so all need replaced. Our insurance company has made a disaster after owning home 10 years. Custom cabinets that match the laundry room as well. No to mention. The jackhammer used to bust up 800 sq foot of flooring and the concrete dust in our entire home. Please advise recourse.

Original review: May 22, 2017

We purchased our Whirlpool Gold Series Dishwasher W10698638A a little over a year ago and have been very disappointed with its performance. We have had to replace the control panel more than once and the cycle time is way too long, running for 4 hours and still not cleaning the dishes. I am currently in the process of hand washing a number of dishes that did not clean in last night's 4-hour cycle. Also, the plastics I wash always come out wet. I am just generally dissatisfied. When talking to Sears about a possible credit for a better machine, they blew me off. I hate that I use to be a satisfied Whirlpool and Kenmore purchaser for years but the brand has just gone down hill in my opinion.

Original review: May 22, 2017

Our home came with an Asko dishwasher, theoretically a premium device though the experience was not the best. Anyways, had to replace it after a few years and decided to buy a Whirlpool under the assumption that if an Asko kind of sucks, being so expensive, it was not worth the money to spend big bucks on an expensive dishwasher. I could not have been more wrong!

Bought a middle of the pack Whirlpool, I think we spend around $500. Complete junk. I had to use our Sears home warranty like 6 times. They replaced two times the computer board, all the sensors another couple of times, motor, you name it! Worst part is that all of the non essentials part that also broke off (wheels, and plastic pieces of the door) were not covered by Sears warranty so I had to end up using glue and all kind of contraptions to keep them together. Finally, when we decided to put our house in the market we replaced this junk with a Bosch. So far so good. Whirlpool actually never even washed properly, now with the Bosch we finally know what it means to have a dishwasher that really washes for real!

Original review: May 18, 2017

I bought a portable Whirlpool dishwasher on Jan.16 2016. We didn't buy extended warranty. After all, it was suppose to be new, should outlive us. It won't drain, my husband took the top off to see if he could fix it since I was told by Sears that no repair person is available in our area. I am only 10 Km from Saint John N.B. He found he couldn't take the front or back off, it's all one piece, he is 84 years old. Under the top, it shows different colored screws, which tells us it was a used one or had been re-conditioned. I am very disappointed in Sears, have been a customer for many years. Everything in my house is Kenmore except for the dishwasher, only because they had no Kenmore. I might add that it wasn't used much. It's just two elderly people and only used when we have company. I can't afford another one. I bought this one from 1,000.00 I won on Lotto Max. I am so upset about this. Appliances should last longer. My Kenmores have.

Original review: May 14, 2017

I bought all new Whirlpool appliances for my house. After three years, the dishwasher is now broken and the washing machine is now broken as well. The refrigerator has had service two times in the past three years. The only thing that works is the stove that I bought. Whirlpool is all junk.

Original review: May 8, 2017

March 1, 2016 I purchased a new Whirlpool dishwasher model WDF320PADW2. After just over 1 year of use, the unit quit. The pump only runs in the empty direction. It quit in the wash direction. Hums and smokes. This is not acceptable for a appliance to last just one month past warranty then totally quit.

Original review: April 29, 2017

My Whirlpool Dishwasher Model# DU980QPDP, just quit a few days ago after 21 1/2 years. We paid $554.04 for it back in 1995. It was the top of the line. Quiet, with 4 fold down shelves on the top rack. Silverware basket on the door. Also a separate knife basket on the door. It came with extra interchangeable door panels. When the white ones got dented we changed to the black ones. The racks are still in good condition. Never had one repair on this dishwasher, though I used it every day, sometimes twice a day. It had a 4 year warranty on the control panel and a 20 year warranty on the tub and door. We would have it repaired, but can't get the part.

Original review: April 19, 2017

Sole owner/operator for 6 years using same products that came packed with dishwasher. Bottom rack has simply crumbled away, prong by prong at first and now large sections. Inferior quality of coating and metal used for the forms, means it won't withstand the daily use for which a dishwasher is intended. Worst quality control ever!!

Original review: March 3, 2017

Bought all Whirlpool appliances for my home and the dishwasher doesn't work right and all that they can tell me is it's not even 7 months old. They don't have any repair technician around where I live so I'm on my own to get it fixed. So much for getting your money's worth.

Original review: March 1, 2017

I bought Whirlpool dishwasher (silver, Golden Series), after one year it just stopped for nothing and the circuit controller failed with error code E2/F2. So it was expensive but turned out to be totally unreliable. I had to pay $200 to get extended warranty and still waiting for the parts!!! Worst experience ever (uh Golden Series, for me it is Plastic Series). Will never buy any product from this company again.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

Whirlpool serviceman came out to see why our brand new dishwasher didn't dry the dishes and left pools of water on glass bottoms. Repairman said all the new dishwashers are like this. The heating elements do not heat hot enough so that the machine gets a higher efficiency rating. He said the solution is to use the dishwasher during the day and at the end of the cycle, open the door so the dishes air dry. My previous 24 year old GE dishwasher did a great job of drying the dishes even when we didn't use the heated dry cycle! The only reason we had to buy a new dishwasher is because we bought a new house. I am very disgusted with the Whirlpool dishwasher. Might as well do dishes by hand.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

We bought this at Lowe's. Initially, they got the color wrong. It took two trips to get the right color (white) then a third trip because all the parts were not there to install the dishwasher. After a few months the second shelf rail end caps fell apart. Now, after a couple of years the pump goes out. RUN from this manufacturer.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

My silverware, when it is washed, a piece or two comes through one of the openings in the basket and I have to work it out before I can lift it out of the dishwasher (MOD WDP320PAD50 Serial #F4432749) to put the pieces away. Please update your dishwasher by making the openings smaller for the silverware so I can stop cussing. Send me a new basket when you do. The dishwasher was in a new home I bought.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2017

Mold in my dishwasher right after having washed the dishes!! This is the first time I have seen the mold on the racks (lots of it!). However, my neighbor also has a Whirlpool and complains of the mold all the time. Also, my dishes often do not come clean. I would not have purchased a Whirlpool, but it came with the house, three years ago. Therefore, I do not have a receipt for it.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

Whirlpool Gold Series Dishwasher Model # WDT710PAYM6 - Purchased this dishwasher in July, 2014. Last week the dishwasher powered off mid cycle. Could not power back up. Tried a few suggestions found online to reset which did not work. I had both a plumber and an electrician look at it. All water lines were fine and power coming in and out of dishwasher and control panel was checked and all looked okay to electrician, but could not get the machine to power up. No longer under warranty. Very dissatisfied there is no recourse.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

I would like someone to explain to me why the 'control panel I.e. brains' of the dishwasher which is around water is so sensitive to WATER. My daughter is the owner of the house and purchased this dishwasher last summer (2016) and within weeks we were having issue with the sensors. This supposedly was not covered under warranty (it was a WATER ISSUE). So now a dishwasher which cost over 700.00 is a door stop!! Where is people’s common sense... yes I'm over 60 years old and very frustrated with the money that was spent for such an inferior product. Imagine having a dishwasher sensitive to water. The people who made it should give their heads a shake. Frustrated grandmother.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2017

Bought this dishwasher (Model No WDF530PAYB3) in 2013. First the plastic latch for the dishwasher detergent door broke. Then, the paint on the face of the door started to bubble, peel, and now is rusting. Next, the heating element broke. Lastly, it started leaked on my wood floor causing damage. 2013-2014 I bought that Dishwasher, Micro-Hood, Stove, Refrigerator, Washer, and Dryer all Whirlpool. All the kitchen appliances were Whirlpool Gold. They would not fix their product. Offered a discount on a new one as if I will ever buy Whirlpool again.

Whirlpool expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whirlpool is the leading manufacturer of home appliances. It operates in more than 170 countries and has global sales totaling over $20 billion.

• Discount dishwashers: Offering a full range of dishwasher products, even Whirlpool's most affordable models include features like a soil sensor.

• One-hour wash cycle: Clean dishes quickly and well using a Whirlpool dishwasher with a one-hour cycle.

• Dependable reputation: Whirlpool dishwashers have some of the lowest maintenance costs among comparable brands.

• Portable dishwashers available: Perfect for apartments or small kitchens, portable dishwashers give you more counter space where you need it.

• Say goodbye to silverware spots: With the silverware spray designed specifically for your flatware, Whirlpool gets rid of the most stubborn grime.

• Best for: Homeowners, apartment renters, families and businesses