1.89/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

443 Whirlpool Dishwashers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

We replaced our kitchen appliances and went with Whirlpool. The oven and Refrigerator haven't had any issues yet but the dishwasher has been crap since it was installed. While it looks 10 times better than my old dirty dishwasher it replaced, its main function of washing dishes is 1/4 the of the quality after running two or three times. Not to mention the average cycle time is 4-8 hrs. Dishwashers by design, should be convenient and save time. Whirlpool managed to remove both of those traits from this Dishwasher and now their "warranty" service said they can send out a technician but I will have to pay for it if it’s not covered under warranty!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

We special ordered this from Lowe's a few years ago. It was not a cheap model. The top rack has broken and we had to pay to have it fixed. The plastic rollers on the bottom keep breaking. That happened at the 1 year mark. Now the heating element at the bottom is rusted and the piece that is supposed to turn to disperse the water does not turn. I am so very disappointed!

Get expert buying tips about Dishwashers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

We purchased a Whirlpool Overhead microwave and Quiet Dishwasher in May of 2017. Within the first year, the microwave needed new sensors installed. The repair person said this was a design flaw and he was getting many calls. Then at 13 months, the dishwasher wouldn't drain. The repair person fixed the problem and left reset directions because this can commonly happen. Now at 18 months later, the drainage problem won't resolve even with the reset. Whirlpool extended the warranty by 6 months but won't cover this repair. Two appliances, two problems. Don't buy Whirlpool.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Whirlpool corporation is one of the worst company I'm dealing with, we bought a new home and had new Whirlpool appliance incorrectly installed in Sept 2018, I raised a ticket in Oct 2018 for my dishwasher which doesn't open properly, flamingo services in Atlanta came and unplugged dishwasher saying it's not installed properly. I wait for more than 30 days for parts to arrive and my dishwasher to be fixed. Called Whirlpool/Flamingo. Both don't give confirmation as to when the parts will arrive (note they haven't been shipped by distributor). Wow seriously???

Please I'm already facing inconvenience since more than month on a brand New appliance. They say no compensation no replacement. Only I will have to wait indefinite time for dishwasher to be shipped and repaired. So much of inconvenience and customer service says she will not call me back and I will have to follow up? What service is this, infinite wait??? Mine is still in warranty, #Georgia #cumming

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Machine was leaking underneath. Had an independent person to check it out and it was determined that it was leaking from underneath the pump. He was not equipped to do the repair himself but I paid him for his time. I then called Whirlpool and they referred me to one of their authorized repair service contractor. The technician, who came over, had been made aware of what the problem was and confirmed by looking under the machine, which had been left opened, that this was the problem. I had to pay him $100 for the service call and this would also apply to the next call to repair it by replacing the pump and assembly for $244 for the parts.

I since learned that a pump could be ordered for $149 without the assembly but would require more work to install without the assembly coming with it. I also had purchased an extended warranty from Sears But they are no longer in business in Canada, as we know. I called Whirlpool in Canada to explain the situation as such and asked if perhaps they could give me a discount on the purchase of the pump and assembly and after being put on hold for a number of times I was told no since the warranty had expired. The machine is close to 5 years only.

May I add that if you call the service repair directly instead of going through Whirlpool themselves, the service call is much less which I also brought to their attention but they did not seem to care. I looked at other reviews and I saw that other people had similar problems with the machine. Whirlpool is not a good reliable company and one should not deal with them. Buy from a reputable manufacturer with a good track record.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Purchased a Gold Series Whirlpool dishwasher, Mo. No. WDT720PADW2, From Maruszcak in Schererville, In. on 1-29-16. Approximately a year later door was replaced by Whirlpool because of paint problem due to faulty design. Replaced door is now peeling and rusting by exhaust vent also. Contacted Whirlpool and they will do nothing more. They said it was a favor the first time they replaced the door. They feel this is a cosmetic problem! I paid a total of $675.03, Their repairman would charge a $100.00 to look at it and another $235.00 for a new door.

I feel this is a design problem and they should replace it with a new model, a refund would be better. Very unlikey, because Whirlpool does not stand behind their products. The line also includes Maytag, Jenn-Air, Amana and Hot Point. Besides this I have found plastic pieces that have fallen off! I had to use plastic ties to keep them in place. Dishwasher does not clean well. Have to rinse everything first. Products are bad, stay away from them!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I purchased a Whirlpool 3 years ago. It was on the lower end for price so my expectations were not that high. It does an average job cleaning dishes so for the price I could give it 4/5. The pump and motor just went and had to be replaced. Almost the same cost as replacing the whole machine. The repair technician that did the work stated that this was a very common problem with Whirlpool in recent years. Of course this is not covered by warranty. So if you purchase a Whirlpool realize you are rolling the dice.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

This Maytag dishwasher is awful. The parent company is Whirlpool and their customer service is as bad as their products. I bought this dishwasher and less than a week later the pump isn't working and stagnant water is sitting in the machine. It took Whirlpool 3 weeks to replace the machine and they sent over another defective machine. This time it lasted less than 2 days. The Whirlpool customer reps are rude and vindictive and antagonize the customer with their lack of service. Called corporate office with no help from Cust. Service and was told to leave a message with the operator and await a callback. With this fiasco I wouldn't buy another Whirlpool or Maytag product again. BTW. I'm still awaiting my callback from the corporate office... I'm not holding my breath. I called the company that I bought the dishwasher from to see if they can help me unload this machine and get a different brand...

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Bought a Whirlpool dishwasher and just over a year later all the wheels fell off the bottom rack. Called to get replacements and it was going to cost me over $200. I paid $800 for the whole machine. I would NOT recommend Whirlpool. I have now heard of other people having the same issue. Very disappointed. Will probably buy a new dishwasher as it will probably happen again with the replacement wheels.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

In 2016 I purchased a Gold Series dishwasher. In 2017 Had to have the door replaced because of bubbling paint and rust around exhaust vent. Door was replaced by Whirlpool. It's 2017 and the same thing is happening again. They are sending a technician out again. This is obviously a defect in this model no. (WDT720PAPW2). I wish Whirlpool would just give us a refund. I have a feeling that the doors will be replaced yearly. Plastic parts fall off occasionally. Pots and pans do not come out clean. I have to hand wash those. Will not clean off Barbecue sauce off of the silverware. It was also very difficult to install, and sticks out past the cabinets. I am very disappointed with this product.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Purchased this dishwasher in 2015. It has been horrible. The unit has never cleaned sufficiently on any cycle. I run the unit in the evening for the full cycle with heat. It takes almost 4 hours. The dishes are still soaking wet the next morning. We would be considered "light use" as a family of two. I hand wash any larger pans or cookware as the racks do not support anything of midrange weight or above.

With the poor cleaning, I purchased a additional silverware rack and placed it more centrally to attempt better cleaning. It remains mediocre at best. The most recent irritation is the door latch has started pulling free from the unit and remains attached to the door! I have to take pliers and remove it from the door and reaffix it into the housing of the unit. Will never recommend this nor will I ever purchase anything from this company in the future. Sad to see the quality falter to the point of absolute failure.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

We got a "DEAL" for this nightmare for nearly $700 back in 2014. Nothing but problems. Constantly finding plastic pieces at the bottom... some identifiable; others not. They are from the cheap parts within. The control board lights (all but 1 works) went just after the 1 yr mark. We are now having to replace the top Rack Adjuster (MORE CHEAP PLASTIC), as it has been barely hanging on for the last year and a half... constantly fighting it, as it would drop all the dishes if you moved it wrong.

Now, the water is not draining at all... period. We clean this religiously - always rinse dishes completely, use rinse aid, never stuff dishes. Today we find a random plastic piece, which we are now trying to identify. NOTE: we don't put plastics in the dishwasher. So, today a new plastic piece and major drain problems. We are in the market and purchasing a new French Door Refrigerator and Front Load Washer. Will NOT be going with anything Whirlpool. Not much better these days, but this name has a big RED NO for us. Made it even worse when we contacted for help after that 1 yr mark. NO HELP AT ALL.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I purchased a home that came with Whirlpool appliances. I begged the company for GE or Maytag. Of course they went with the cheapest they could find. I must admit the microwave gets very hot but the dishwasher is a piece of crap! The water doesn't get hot and the dryer doesn't work. They tried to tell me it NEEDED Jet-Dry. I own 4 homes and have lived in all of them. I've NEVER used Jet-Dry and all the others work perfectly. Run as far as you can from Whirlpool!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Buy anything else. This WHIRLPOOL WITH STAINLESS INTERIOR WDF560 SERIES is the worst dishwasher I've ever owned. Huge fail Whirlpool. MADE IN THE USA! I will never buy another thing you make again. I can't say ONE redeeming thing about this dishwasher. I hate it! It has a high temp wash, a Sani cycle & heated dry + a stainless tub. Using all of the above + having an SS tub yet everything comes out dripping wet. The cheap silverware baskets are poorly designed & positioned on the side to the back in addition to a tall tub making it difficult to access anything in them. The baskets are also cheap and poorly designed. All the spacings are the exactly the same with no proper spacing for pots, pans or larger items. These cheap racks will have a short life. It's outrageous to spend 649.00 for such an inferior product. Buy a cheap dishwasher! This thing is no better than a builder grade that looks good.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Whirlpool Dishwasher Model WDT7820PADMO was installed last October. Small parts began detaching themselves from the first day. Then machine leaked onto floor two weeks ago and I shut it down. As it was purchased from Sears, they and Whirlpool have batted responsibility for repairs back and forth until proof of extended warranty was supplied to Whirlpool. They then scheduled a repair job for a week later with an unqualified technician, who naturally refused the job. Upon callback, I was rescheduled for a day two weeks hence. As it turned out, the repairman would not be near my home on the appointment date. Luckily, I tried to move the appointment up, as the repair service said Whirlpool did not supply proof of the extended warranty. I saved five days waiting time by rescheduling, but have to supply proof of extended warranty yet again. All this for a dishwasher that takes three hours per load, and doesn't do a particularly good job of cleaning.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Purchased new DW 1/2017. Had problems from the beginning. Just had 4th service call, 6-11-2018. New control board and heating element installed 4/2017. Board failed again. Serviceman just left and he ordered a new board. It's a Kitchen-aid KDFE104DSS. Kitchen-aid isn't the same since Whirlpool bought them. Not going to buy Whirlpool anything again.

Original review: May 26, 2018

We've been in this house for almost 4 years so the dishwasher (Whirlpool WDT790SAYM) is no older than that, maybe even 2.5 since I think I got it home in my CX-5 which is 2.5 years old. Anyway, never really had a problem with it and we run ours maybe once a day or twice in a row every 3 days. Last night I remember running a load and this morning noticed the dishes were dirty but the inside of the tub looked clean. So I plop another pod in and tried to run it again and sat there and watched it. It filled up with water but then nothing. After 20 minutes I opened the door and steam came out so the heater element was working and there was water at the bottom. I tried various things but nothing. Canceling still works.

So either I try to get this fixed, or buy a new one. This wasn't a cheap dishwasher either. My wife balked when I 1st bought it considering she thinks a $300 model is better than most of these $500+ models. Right now I can't argue with her since we just replaced an expensive Samsung washing machine that lasted maybe 5 years. There's another review of this model on these forums and the person tried to get it repaired many times and it appears maybe the same thing is happening to us. I won't go down that road considering repairs like that exceed the cost of a new dishwasher.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Our 3 1/2 year old dishwasher is falling apart. First the left slider broke on the top rack. We ordered a replacement part ($74) and when ready to install, discovered the right rack was also falling apart. At that same moment, the rollers fell off the bottom rack! It seems the plastic parts cannot tolerate the heat in this dishwasher (just a guess). We’ve returned the new replacement part and are shopping for a new dishwasher. It will not be anything from the Whirlpool line!

Original review: April 19, 2018

The only reason I am giving it one star is because it looks good in my kitchen. This dishwasher does not clean the dishes. I’ve had it serviced twice, both having to wait for parts, I am very disappointed. Having to run the dishwasher two times to find myself hand washing... Is annoying. Dissatisfied. I don’t put certain dishes in and run very scant loads. Family of six is not happy!

Original review: March 29, 2018

What a horrible machine! From the day that it was installed not one time it gave me good cleaning. I spent so much money servicing it. Costed me over $700! I am done putting money into it! I am washing by hand! If you want a dishwasher where you can hand wash and God forbid your rinse with the machine (you will have to rewash everything) then this is the machine for you!

Original review: March 21, 2018

Purchased a Whirlpool dishwasher less than 3 years ago. Absolutely horrible! The LEDs stopped working on the control panel within the second year. A few months after that the heating element stopped working. Replacing the element and thermostat did not help. The warranty only last for a year, and now I know why. Whirlpool does not stand behind their products and they were completely unwilling to help, and were quite rude honestly. I will never buy a Whirlpool product again!

Original review: March 13, 2018

From the beginning, we were not really happy with the performance of the machine, which we felt was not cleaning as well as it should. Now it doesn't take the soap at all. The washing process goes on perfectly but without soap, so the dishes remain dirty.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Purchased 11-02-2016. This Whirlpool/Kenmore dishwasher is falling apart. Top rack wheels are totally broken, ordered parts 4 times, gave up. Now they are held together by gorilla glue. I have gone through 3 gray plastic end caps for the top rack runners. Now one is contained by a plastic slip tie. Last week it started leaking. Sears was totally useless. Whirlpool keeps sending me back to them. Now, I have to go buy another new dishwasher. It will not be a Whirlpool. Next time getting the extended warranty.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Generally great performance, however, some pots and pans require some soaking/scraping to completely clean. Glasses are clear ( with rinse aid), silverware is clean, and drying is effective.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Best stainless steel built dishwasher we could find in this price range. Well built with lots of room and easy access to both drawers. Easy to clean filters and a nice modern look.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I feel Whirlpool has a terrific portable dishwasher. I really like the way it is set up and it is a very nice looking unit. They could improve on their customer service towards their customers. My dishwasher got a crack in it at the top of the door where you open it and they would not send anyone out to fix it for me. I paid a pretty penny for this dishwasher and felt they should have fixed it for me. This happened in the 1 year warranty period. Otherwise I am very happy with it. I had previously had another one that lasted me 14 years.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

My dishwasher is more than 10 years old. It functions but the interior baskets have broken and because my counter overhangs a couple of inches from the dishwasher the steam from the dishwasher has damaged the underside of the counter. It cleans ok but I would not buy this kind of dishwasher again.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

The dishwasher performs well but it is a little loud. The salesperson said that if I had purchased the model with a stainless steel tub, it would not run as loud.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

Does ok if you rinse the dishes real good. Not the best on pots and pans. And I've tried numerous brands of dishwasher soap both liquid and powder and block. I've tried arranging dishes in every way I could think of. No change. My old Kitchen Aid did much better.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I like the dishwasher. It cleans pretty well. Some time it soap doesn't open and the dishes don’t get cleaned. But when it’s working good the dishes get cleaned very well.

Whirlpool expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whirlpool is the leading manufacturer of home appliances. It operates in more than 170 countries and has global sales totaling over $20 billion.

• Discount dishwashers: Offering a full range of dishwasher products, even Whirlpool's most affordable models include features like a soil sensor.

• One-hour wash cycle: Clean dishes quickly and well using a Whirlpool dishwasher with a one-hour cycle.

• Dependable reputation: Whirlpool dishwashers have some of the lowest maintenance costs among comparable brands.

• Portable dishwashers available: Perfect for apartments or small kitchens, portable dishwashers give you more counter space where you need it.

• Say goodbye to silverware spots: With the silverware spray designed specifically for your flatware, Whirlpool gets rid of the most stubborn grime.

• Best for: Homeowners, apartment renters, families and businesses