Compare Antivirus Software Reviews
Antivirus software is used to detect, prevent and remove viruses and spyware, stop hacking and phishing attacks and protect consumers from identity theft. This software is essential to prevent loss of data and personal information and to keep computers and mobile devices running effectively.
Most antivirus software now runs on PC, Mac and Android and iOS mobile devices and may include a firewall to prevent access to computers and networks. Parental monitoring options keep minors protected by limiting access to selected websites.
Top 10 Best Rated Antivirus Software companies
|Read 58 Reviews|
Total Defense protects all your internet-connected devices from viruses, malware, identity theft and more, PCs, Macs and Android Devices. Free setup and installation and free phone support from their friendly support team.
|Read 46 Reviews|
Webroot's SecureAnywhere is a cloud-based anti-virus product that protects PC users from viruses, malware, identity theft and more. The company was founded in 1997, and it is headquartered in Colorado.
|Read 20 Reviews|
In business since 1990, Panda Security offers antivirus and malware prevention technology to home users and businesses in over 180 countries.
|Read 13 Reviews|
VIPRE Security was founded in 1991 and offers affordable internet security for home or business computers. VIPRE keeps your computers safe from viruses with an interface that is easy to use. You can contact VIPRE for a free trial.
|Read 579 Reviews|
Norton AntiVirus is a virus-protection program developed by Symantec. It offers an array of security services for computer protection and also provides consumers with educational resources on how to stay safe online.
|Read 36 Reviews|
Kaspersky's anti-virus software provides real-time protection from known and emerging security threats and helps improve the performance of PCs. The company first released this product in 2006.
|Read 5 Reviews|
Avira Antivirus is a product that is dedicated to keeping your technology devices safe and data private. The company that created the product, Avira, has been in existence for more than 25 years.
|Read 57 Reviews|
Avast is a company that is dedicated to making people around the world safe. The company offers three levels of protection - Free Antivirus, Internet Security and Premier.
|Read 208 Reviews|
AVG is a company that focuses on the digital protection and privacy for its customers. It offers cloud-based security solutions as well as security software to meet the distinct needs of consumers and businesses.
|Read 49 Reviews|
Trend Micro offers a wide range of security solutions for protecting consumers and businesses on multiple devices. The company was founded in 1988 and is headquartered in the Las Colinas area of Irving, Texas.
Financial Software Contributing Editor
Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.
What features matter most?
Consumers should decide what type of antivirus service they are interested in. There are three basic types of antivirus software.
- Installed software: Many companies offer software via download or DVD that’s installed on the computer and device. The software detects existing viruses and stops new infections.
- Cloud-based: Other companies provide cloud-based services that monitor devices and scan suspicious files in the cloud in order to speed up response times.
- Parental monitoring: Some companies also offer parental monitoring that can track the websites that are visited and limit access to certain sites.
Warranties are good to have no matter what type of service a consumer is paying for. They help to cover different aspects of the service in the event something goes wrong.
- Unhappy with service: If a consumer is unhappy with antivirus software, some warranties offer a refund within a certain period of time.
- Data protection: Some antivirus companies offer money back if a virus or malware is found and the software can’t remove it.
- Software glitch: A warranty may also cover issues with the software or offer free upgrades if a known issue occurs.
Antivirus companies can have vastly different pricing structures. Depending on the needs of the consumer, certain plans might be more appealing than others.
- One-time purchase: Many antivirus software companies offer a one time download or a software DVD for a flat fee with upgrades being required annually or later. Antivirus signatures that define what the software blocks are updated as they become available.
- Subscription services: Customers who opt for a subscription service get software updates as they happen along with antivirus signature updates. Subscriptions are annual and can renew automatically, and some companies offer a discount for multiple-year subscriptions.
- Tiered pricing: Many companies have different tiers of pricing, usually with a basic but effective antivirus software version and one or more higher-priced versions with more features.
A company's history can be very informative when it comes to choosing which antivirus software company to work with.
- Former clients: Check out the company's list of former clients to see if they have worked with any clients in your industry before.
- Reputation: Working with established companies will sometimes result in fewer issues than brand new ones that are still working out issues.
- Rate of progress: Consumers should pay attention to how often a company comes out with new products and updates its existing products and try to work only with companies that are constantly progressing.
Business vs. individual
Some companies focus on home computer security while others deal with businesses. Most antivirus companies serve both markets but prioritize one.
- Parental monitoring: Home computers and other devices used by households with small children should look for companies that offer parental monitoring of computers.
- 24/7 emergency assistance: Businesses should look for companies that can respond to security breaches immediately in order to minimize their effect.
- Fast scans: Businesses should look for companies that perform fast scans daily or hourly to catch any security issues before they infect users.
Customer support is a very important part of choosing an antivirus software company. Consumers should be confident that they are working with a company that has their best interests in mind and is available to assist them.
- On-call assistance: If something goes wrong with the software or security service, the best companies will not only have technical experts on call to help but will have dedicated support personnel for each account in order to ensure that these issues are handled in a timely and efficient manner.
- Sales: The sales process should go smoothly, but if you run into any problems support personnel should be available to help you find the product you need.
- Warranties/refunds: The company should be able to quickly process warranty issues and refunds.
What are different types of antivirus software?
PC antivirus software works by scanning your system for viruses. It runs in the background of your computer at all times, scanning Internet downloads, zip files, even Word documents, for suspicious activity including viruses, worms and malware. In addition to scanning every download, antivirus software will perform full-system scans on a set schedule, usually once a week. During these full-system scans, your software will make sure there aren’t any viruses hanging around dormant in unused files on your computer. You can buy PC antivirus software on a disc or have it downloaded and installed on your hard drive. Some PC software is available as a free download, while other systems come at a price. Typically, the free PC antivirus software will do the major tasks you need including checking for viruses and malware and performing routine system scans. The benefits of paying for PC antivirus software include access to a 24/7 help desk, parental controls and more elaborate firewalls to block intrusions.
Many antivirus companies develop software for Mac computers. They provide antivirus services that works on Mac desktops, MacBooks, iPhones and iPads.
Many companies provide cloud-based services. These are real-time services that detect something happening on a device and copy a fingerprint of it into the cloud in order to scan it immediately for viruses. This helps reduce the time it takes to detect suspicious activity or malware. The cloud works incredibly fast, making it a good choice if you have high-speed Internet. Another benefit of using cloud antivirus software is that cloud updates are done automatically by the cloud system, which means updates won’t interfere with your downloads or otherwise slow down your personal computer’s processing.
Most antivirus companies now offer apps for keeping smartphones and tablets free of malicious code with apps for Android, iOS and Windows Mobile devices. You can use one antivirus brand on your computer and another on your mobile devices if you like.
Who's it for?
Many businesses, both large and small, run the risk of having their entire systems infected with viruses. This can cause the company to be unable to operate, sometimes for days at a time. It's important for businesses to make sure their computers are protected with antivirus software.
Individuals who use computers or mobile devices to connect to the Internet at home or away from home should make sure their devices are protected from viruses. Antivirus software will help ensure that they don't have to make costly replacements to products that have been compromised.
Highly sensitive information
Some people or groups have to deal with highly sensitive information such as medical records, police files, financial information, etc. These groups need to have antivirus software that is even more secure than average users need along with the infrastructure to support the software across a large network.
In addition to the needs of individuals working on home computers or mobile devices, families or households with children will need extra protection that monitors and filters Internet usage. This helps keep children safer while they are using the Internet and is a feature that many antivirus companies offer.
VIPRE is an award-winning internet security solution for your home or business. It uses advanced AI systems, cloud-based threat assessment systems and real time behavior monitoring to protect you against cyber attacks.
- VIPRE Home: VIPRE Home provides firewall protection, network monitoring, file scanning, email security, antivirus protection and more for your home computer for $38.95 per year. You can add up to 10 computers on your plan for additional fees.
- Business: VIPRE offers its same security protection product to businesses. You can buy the software for five work computers for total of $120 per year, or $24 per seat per your. VIPRE’s rates decrease as you add more seats, meaning you could pay as little as $12 per seat per year for your business.
- Free trial and demo: You can try VIPRE Security free for 30 days for your home PC. If you need security solutions for your business, VIPRE can set you up with a free quote and demo as well.
- U.S. based support: VIPRE Security is made in the United States, and they offer free tech support for customers in the U.S.
- Easy to use: VIPRE has taken extra care to make sure its product is easy to use. Menus make it easy to schedule scans, find updates, quarantine infected files and anything else you need to do to keep your information safe.
- Best for: home and business PC users who need easy protection.
Total Defense software protects your internet-connected devices from malware and viruses. It is a subscription service that you can renew annually for optimal protection, and the company guarantees results.
- Services: In addition to malware and virus protection, Total Defense also offers PC tuneups and online backup services.
- Protect all your devices: Total Defense can protect all of your internet-connected devices, like laptops, desktops, tablets and more. For $60 you can cover five devices for a year; if you need more coverage, you can always add it on.
- Free tech support: You can call the tech support or customer care line weekdays during business hours for help with downloading, installation, updates and more.
- Automatic renewal service: Total Defense automatically renews your service at the end of a year so you don’t have to go a day without protection. Of course, you can also cancel your service at any time.
- Virus-free guarantee: If a virus happens to slip through Total Defense’s protections, the company will remove it for free. If they can’t, you’ll get your money back. They also have a money-back guarantee if you aren’t happy with the service up to 60 days after your purchase.
- Best for: people with internet-connected devices and computers to protect from viruses and malware.
Based in Spain, Panda Security is a multinational company focusing on antivirus software and cyber-security technology. Panda Security operates in over 180 countries and boasts more than 30 million users.
- Home user protection: Panda Security offers one free month of its Panda Protection software, which protects all of your devices including smartphones and smartwatches. The technology allows you to lock and wipe your devices remotely at any time.
- Family monitoring: For users with children, Panda Protection allows you to monitor what other users are doing on the internet. You can block inappropriate content and keep track of users’ locations.
- Home user pricing: Panda Security offers a $3.99 per month plan with device and family monitoring. For $6.99 per month, you can add privacy protection. Plans can be cancelled at any time.
- Business security: Panda Security offers businesses endpoint protection, systems management, integration of all IT infrastructure devices and email protection. Panda has over 15,000 corporate customers around the world.
- Collective intelligence: Panda Security uses data sharing to collect millions of users’ information on malware attacks, which increases the software’s adaptability to new challenges.
- Best for: home users and businesses looking for an all-in-one virus and malware protection package.
Founded in 1987, McAfee is a longstanding and trusted name in antivirus software for consumers and business because of how the company has continued to advance products to keep up with a changing industry over the years. Now a part of Intel Security Group, the brand will be eventually be renamed.
AVG Technologies specializes in software for consumer and business internet security, personal privacy and identity protection. Founded in 1991, AVG now serves over 200 million monthly active users.
Norton Antivirus has been protecting computers since 1982 and was purchased by the software development company Symantec in 1991. The Norton Security division offers antivirus and other security solutions for home and business.
Trend Micro is a global security software company that was founded in Los Angeles, CA, in 1988. They develop security software for the home, business and cloud computing environments.
Kaspersky Anti-Virus was developed in 2006 by Kaspersky Lab, an international security company that operates worldwide with 300 million users. Kaspersky Lab is based in the U.K. with U.S. headquarters in Massachusetts.
Webroot Inc. is the largest private company that provides Internet security for individuals and businesses. Founded in Boulder, CO, in 1997 with offices around the world, over 7 million consumers, 1.5 million business users and 1.3 million mobile users are protected by Webroot.
ESET is an IT security company headquartered in Slovakia that that was founded in 1992. ESET produces a number of antivirus products for PC, Mac, Linux and Android, and iOS protection for businesses, all with a 30-day money back guarantee.
Avira Antivirus is a German multinational antivirus software company that offers Internet security for many different devices worldwide. In business since 1986, Avira launched one of the first antivirus programs.
BullGuard Antivirus is a newer player in the antivirus software arena. Established in 2002 and headquartered in London, the company’s guiding principle is to provide security tools that are easy to use for the average user while maintaining the most advanced security technologies for PC and Android devices.
Malwarebytes.org - Malwarebytes started in 2004, and since then it has detected and removed over 5 billion pieces of malware while running alongside antivirus software. Today, more than 200 team members across the globe contribute to keeping Malwarebytes effective and up to date.
- Multiple platforms: Malwarebytes runs on PC, Mac, Android and iOS devices to find worms, spyware, rootkits and more. You will need to install antivirus software separately; Malwarebytes detects and removes deep malicious code that is often not found by antivirus solutions.
- Free: The free version of Malwarebytes is very capable at finding and removing malware, but does not run constantly in the background for real time protection. Upgrade to the paid PC premium version for $24.95 for more scanning options and always-on screening. Malwarebytes only offers a free version for Mac right now.
- Business versions: Malwarebytes offers four business options with annual subscriptions for $29.95 per seat up to $49.95 per seat. Businesses with over 100 seats can contact sales to discuss pricing.
- Chameleon technology: If your computer is infected, you won’t need a separate bootable disk to repair it. Malwarebytes’ Chameleon driver stops malware from terminating or modifying processes so you can remove malware immediately without restarting your computer.
- Antivirus compatibility: Malwarebytes will run without a conflict on computers that have installed any of the antivirus software listed in this guide and many others.
- Best for: Individuals, business, families and people handling highly sensitive information.
Czech-based Avast was the first company to offer home network security and is dedicated to providing free antivirus protection to homes, schools and businesses around the world. Founded in 1988 and headquartered in Prague, Czech Republic, Avast also has locations in the USA, Germany, China, South Korea and Tawain.
Headquartered in Bucharest, Romania, Bitdefender is an internet security company. Its partners and subsidiaries provide anti-virus and anti-spyware software for consumers and businesses. Bitdefender was founded in 2001.
- Applications: Bitdefender’s products include web protection, firewall, parental controls, encryption software and more. These can protect your computer or business network against viruses, spam, adware and more.
- Protect all smart devices: These days, your PC and laptop are not the only vulnerable devices in your home. The Bitdefender BOX uses hardware, cloud technology and software to protect all of your smart home devices like smart TVs, smartphones, Wi-Fi thermostats, baby monitors and any other device or appliance that connects to the internet.
- Business solutions: Bitdefender has many options for businesses of all sizes. You can protect all endpoints and data centers by fortifying your infrastructure. You can also detect persistent threats and identify and avoid cyber attacks.
- Trial downloads: You can try most of Bitdefender’s software solutions for free for 30 days. Just visit their website to download your trial version.
- Free antivirus software: Bitdefender has several free software solutions including the Home Scanner, which detects all of your connected devices and lets you know if they are vulnerable to security risks. You can also download several free security apps for your smartphone or tablet.
- Best for: individuals and small and enterprise-sized businesses.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.