Best Antivirus Software Companies
Antivirus software is used to detect, prevent and remove viruses and spyware, stop hacking and phishing attacks and protect consumers from identity theft. This software is essential to prevent loss of data and personal information and to keep computers and mobile devices running effectively.
Most antivirus software now runs on PC, Mac and Android and iOS mobile devices and may include a firewall to prevent access to computers and networks. Parental monitoring options keep minors protected by limiting access to selected websites.
Compare Antivirus Software Reviews
Read 1,336 Reviews
Total Defense protects all your internet-connected devices from viruses, malware, identity theft and more, PCs, Macs and Android Devices. Free setup and installation and free phone support from their friendly support team.
|toll freenumber(877) 906-8816 Visit Website|
Read 303 Reviews
Avast is a company that is dedicated to making people around the world safe. The company offers three levels of protection - Free Antivirus, Internet Security and Premier.
Read 766 Reviews
Norton AntiVirus is a virus-protection program developed by Symantec. It offers an array of security services for computer protection and also provides consumers with educational resources on how to stay safe online.
Read 321 Reviews
AVG is a company that focuses on the digital protection and privacy for its customers. It offers cloud-based security solutions as well as security software to meet the distinct needs of consumers and businesses.
Read 829 Reviews
McAfee specializes in comprehensive anti-virus solutions and technology-security services for both consumers and businesses worldwide. The company, based in Santa Clara, California, is a subsidiary of Intel.
Read 49 Reviews
Bitdefender is a Romanian internet security company. It offers computer security software including anti-virus and anti-spyware programs to protect your laptop, PC and any connected devices. It also has free software options.
Read 220 Reviews
Webroot's SecureAnywhere is a cloud-based anti-virus product that protects PC users from viruses, malware, identity theft and more. The company was founded in 1997, and it is headquartered in Colorado.
Read 90 Reviews
Kaspersky's anti-virus software provides real-time protection from known and emerging security threats and helps improve the performance of PCs. The company first released this product in 2006.
Read 47 Reviews
Malwarebytes is a company committed to giving consumers a way to be malware-free. Their benefits are that they clean infections, prevents future infections, blocks malicious websites, scans fast and hides from malware.
Read 19 Reviews
Avira Antivirus is a product that is dedicated to keeping your technology devices safe and data private. The company that created the product, Avira, has been in existence for more than 25 years.
What to consider before selecting an antivirus software
Consumers should decide what type of antivirus service they are interested in. There are three basic types of antivirus software.
- Installed software: Many companies offer software via download or DVD that’s installed on the computer and device. The software detects existing viruses and stops new infections.
- Cloud-based: Other companies provide cloud-based services that monitor devices and scan suspicious files in the cloud in order to speed up response times.
- Parental monitoring: Some virus protection companies also offer parental monitoring that can track the websites that are visited and limit access to certain sites.
Warranties are good to have no matter what type of service a consumer is paying for. They help to cover different aspects of the service in the event something goes wrong.
- Unhappy with service: If a consumer is unhappy with antivirus software, some warranties offer a refund within a certain period of time.
- Data protection: Some antivirus companies offer money back if a virus or malware is found and the software can’t remove it.
- Software glitch: A warranty may also cover issues with the software or offer free upgrades if a known issue occurs.
Antivirus companies can have vastly different pricing structures. Depending on the needs of the consumer, certain plans might be more appealing than others.
- One-time purchase: Many antivirus software companies offer a one time download or a software DVD for a flat fee with upgrades being required annually or later. Antivirus signatures that define what the software blocks are updated as they become available.
- Subscription services: Customers who opt for a subscription service get software updates as they happen along with antivirus signature updates. Subscriptions are annual and can renew automatically, and some companies offer a discount for multiple-year subscriptions.
- Tiered pricing: Many companies have different tiers of pricing, usually with a basic but effective antivirus software version and one or more higher-priced versions with more features.
A company's history can be very informative when it comes to choosing which antivirus software company to work with.
- Former clients: Check out the company's list of former clients to see if they have worked with any clients in your industry before.
- Reputation: Working with established companies will sometimes result in fewer issues than brand new ones that are still working out issues.
- Rate of progress: Consumers should pay attention to how often a company comes out with new products and updates its existing products and try to work only with companies that are constantly progressing.
Business vs. individual
Some companies focus on home computer security while others deal with businesses. Most antivirus companies serve both markets but prioritize one.
- Parental monitoring: Home computers and other devices used by households with small children should look for companies that offer parental monitoring of computers.
- 24/7 emergency assistance: Businesses should look for companies that can respond to security breaches immediately in order to minimize their effect.
- Fast scans: Businesses should look for companies that perform fast scans daily or hourly to catch any security issues before they infect users.
Customer support is a very important part of choosing an antivirus software company. Consumers should be confident that they are working with a company that has their best interests in mind and is available to assist them.
- On-call assistance: If something goes wrong with the software or security service, the best companies will not only have technical experts on call to help but will have dedicated support personnel for each account in order to ensure that these issues are handled in a timely and efficient manner.
- Sales: The sales process should go smoothly, but if you run into any problems support personnel should be available to help you find the product you need.
- Warranties/refunds: The company should be able to quickly process warranty issues and refunds.
Types of antivirus software
PC antivirus software works by scanning your system for viruses. It runs in the background of your computer at all times, scanning Internet downloads, zip files, even Word documents, for suspicious activity including viruses, worms and malware. In addition to scanning every download, antivirus software will perform full-system scans on a set schedule, usually once a week. During these full-system scans, your software will make sure there aren’t any viruses hanging around dormant in unused files on your computer. You can buy PC antivirus software on a disc or have it downloaded and installed on your hard drive. Some PC software is available as a free download, while other systems come at a price. Typically, the free PC antivirus software will do the major tasks you need including checking for viruses and malware and performing routine system scans. The benefits of paying for PC antivirus software include access to a 24/7 help desk, parental controls and more elaborate firewalls to block intrusions.
Many antivirus companies develop software for Mac computers. They provide virus protection that works on Mac desktops, MacBooks, iPhones and iPads.
Many companies provide cloud-based services. These are real-time services that detect something happening on a device and copy a fingerprint of it into the cloud in order to scan it immediately for viruses. This helps reduce the time it takes to detect suspicious activity or malware. The cloud works incredibly fast, making it a good choice if you have high-speed Internet. Another benefit of using cloud antivirus software is that cloud updates are done automatically by the cloud system, which means updates won’t interfere with your downloads or otherwise slow down your personal computer’s processing.
Most antivirus companies now offer virus protection apps for keeping smartphones and tablets free of malicious code with apps for Android, iOS and Windows Mobile devices. You can use one antivirus brand on your computer and another on your mobile devices if you like.
People who should use antivirus software
Many businesses, both large and small, run the risk of having their entire systems infected with viruses. This can cause the company to be unable to operate, sometimes for days at a time. It's important for businesses to make sure their computers are protected with antivirus software.
Individuals who use computers or mobile devices to connect to the Internet at home or away from home should make sure their devices are protected from viruses. Antivirus software will help ensure that they don't have to make costly replacements to products that have been compromised.
Highly sensitive information
Some people or groups have to deal with highly sensitive information such as medical records, police files, financial information, etc. These groups need to have antivirus software that is even more secure than average users need along with the infrastructure to support the software across a large network.
In addition to the needs of individuals working on home computers or mobile devices, families or households with children will need extra virus protection that monitors and filters Internet usage. This helps keep children safer while they are using the Internet and is a feature that many antivirus companies offer.
Antivirus software expert reviews
VIPRE is an award-winning internet security solution for your home or business. It uses advanced AI systems, cloud-based threat assessment systems and real time behavior monitoring to protect you against cyber attacks.
Total Defense software protects your internet-connected devices from malware and viruses. It is a subscription service that you can renew annually for optimal protection, and the company guarantees results.
Based in Spain, Panda Security is a multinational company focusing on antivirus software and cyber-security technology. Panda Security operates in over 180 countries and boasts more than 30 million users.
Founded in 1987, McAfee is a longstanding and trusted name in antivirus software for consumers and business because of how the company has continued to advance products to keep up with a changing industry over the years. Now a part of Intel Security Group, the brand will be eventually be renamed.
AVG Technologies specializes in software for consumer and business internet security, personal privacy and identity protection. Founded in 1991, AVG now serves over 200 million monthly active users.
Norton Antivirus has been protecting computers since 1982 and was purchased by the software development company Symantec in 1991. The Norton Security division offers antivirus and other security solutions for home and business.
- Works across devices: Norton Security works across all PCs, Macs, smartphones and tablets, but you will have to upgrade to the deluxe or premium version to protect multiple devices. Annual subscriptions range from $59.99 to $89.99 across three versions, and discounts are offered for the first year of protection.
- Norton Power Eraser: If you suspect that traces of malware remain after scanning your computer, you can use the Power Eraser to restart your computer and then dig even deeper to detect the most aggressive malware.
- Strong anti-phishing: Norton uses several layers of security to detect fraudulent websites that try to steal your personal information. This stops identity theft.
- Award winning software: Over the years, Norton has been awarded by PC Magazine as a top choice in antivirus software. Awards were granted after thorough testing.
- 100% guarantee: If Norton Security can’t clean a virus from your computer or device at any time during your subscription, you will get your money back.
- Best for: Individuals and businesses.
Trend Micro is a global security software company that was founded in Los Angeles, CA, in 1988. They develop security software for the home, business and cloud computing environments.
Kaspersky Anti-Virus was developed in 2006 by Kaspersky Lab, an international security company that operates worldwide with 300 million users. Kaspersky Lab is based in the U.K. with U.S. headquarters in Massachusetts.
Webroot Inc. is the largest private company that provides Internet security for individuals and businesses. Founded in Boulder, CO, in 1997 with offices around the world, over 7 million consumers, 1.5 million business users and 1.3 million mobile users are protected by Webroot.
ESET is an IT security company headquartered in Slovakia that that was founded in 1992. ESET produces a number of antivirus products for PC, Mac, Linux and Android, and iOS protection for businesses, all with a 30-day money back guarantee.
Avira Antivirus is a German multinational antivirus software company that offers Internet security for many different devices worldwide. In business since 1986, Avira launched one of the first antivirus programs.
BullGuard Antivirus is a newer player in the antivirus software arena. Established in 2002 and headquartered in London, the company’s guiding principle is to provide security tools that are easy to use for the average user while maintaining the most advanced security technologies for PC and Android devices.
Malwarebytes.org - Malwarebytes started in 2004, and since then it has detected and removed over 5 billion pieces of malware while running alongside antivirus software. Today, more than 200 team members across the globe contribute to keeping Malwarebytes effective and up to date.
Czech-based Avast was the first company to offer home network security and is dedicated to providing free antivirus protection to homes, schools and businesses around the world. Founded in 1988 and headquartered in Prague, Czech Republic, Avast also has locations in the USA, Germany, China, South Korea and Tawain.
Headquartered in Bucharest, Romania, Bitdefender is an internet security company. Its partners and subsidiaries provide anti-virus and anti-spyware software for consumers and businesses. Bitdefender was founded in 2001.
Compare Antivirus Software Reviews
Trend Micro offers a wide range of security solutions for protecting consumers and businesses on multiple devices. The company was founded in 1988 and is headquartered in the Las Colinas area of Irving, Texas.
ESET is a company dedicated to providing virus-protection solutions for both home and corporate users. It creates different types of anti-virus security products that work across a range of platforms.
VIPRE Security was founded in 1991 and offers affordable internet security for home or business computers. VIPRE keeps your computers safe from viruses with an interface that is easy to use. You can contact VIPRE for a free trial.
In business since 1990, Panda Security offers antivirus and malware prevention technology to home users and businesses in over 180 countries.
BullGuard Antivirus offers comprehensive protection against different types of viruses, spyware, and malware. The company was founded in 2002, and it offers live customer support 24 hours a day.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.