3.19/5
Based on 88 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

McAfee

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 9, 2018

640 McAfee Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

McAfee products come on many new PCs. You get a "free" subscription to their service, but you never had a choice (as with my Lenovo Yoga). It's preloaded and they even piggyback on legitimate registration info (not sure if Lenovo or Microsoft) from what you actually meant to buy and spam you incessantly to sign up. You also get constant pop-up notifications for the same until you uninstall. They also have a similar practice when you download Adobe Reader. There's no option not install. McAfee is a shady company that can't seem to market/compete on their product's own merit, so they've turned themselves in parasitic bloatware bundled with PCs.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I made two (2) Subscriptions to McAfee (unintentional) in May and September of 2017. Plus, they never told me that I had already made a prior Subscription. I am displeased with McAfee Anti-Virus Software and Customer Service. Therefore, I requested a Refund, but was told that since it has been over a month I couldn't receive a Refund. Previously, I was told by a Customer Service Representative with McAfee that I would receive a credit when my current Subscription expires.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER! Just **. Avoid all McAfee products. Don't buy. 5 damn days of fighting with these ** from the Philippines. Just avoid. Rip off. Rip off. Rip off. Had to close my bank account because of these **. No phone number for Santa Clara, CA. Thieves!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I relied on a popular PC magazine's report that McAfee is good protection. Don't rely on them. I downloaded McAfee Total Protection in November, 2017. Ever since it was installed their program turns on immediately after booting my computer up. I've read and read the McAfee forum and the moderator only gave false information. He guessed it was this and guessed it was that. Frankly, I believe he was not an American by the way he constructed his sentences. I haven't found any fix anywhere. It highjacks your computer the minute it boots. I won't ever download any of McAfee products in the future.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I use this product based on initial recommendation of my dad, now my techy children, so it is very long term use, off and on for 20 years. It has never let me down.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about McAfee?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I have used McAfee and I really preferred this but found it pricey. They do run Specials on this virus protector though. I would recommend this but just check for specials.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

My service provider offers this software with the subscription. In the past, I have contracted a virus using this software on my main computer hard-wired to the LAN.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

This was my first experience with an antivirus program and I didn't seem to have any problems with the McAfee program, and it seemed to work rather quickly as it went through the steps.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

In this past year that I've used McAfee LiveSafe, I've found very few threats or vandals on my pc that the software didn't detect. Also, it prevents me from browsing sites it deems unsafe - wherein if I were a more prudent person, I'd probably be more grateful for this feature.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

It takes time and always needing updates and other components and attention. It was a mistake and I am looking for a better one that has a reasonable price.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Great notifications if you're on a scam type website. Easy to use and easy to run McAfee's cleaner and several ways to run their cleaner. Great cleaning tools.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Almost every day, I get this page that keeps popping up with a scan that gives me details of what I may need to repair on my computer. It's great, but when I want to fix an error, I have to pay again. Why do I have to pay when I already pay for the service every year? That's mind boggling.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I have used this antivirus for a number of years and in general it does its job. Two things that I did not like automatic renewal and it missed something and I got a virus which it overlooked.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I'm new to McAfee, less than 2 months with new computer. I like the shred feature and the ease of use when navigating the program. The price up-front (first year) is reasonable, but after the first year, it triples.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

McAfee Security software did not secure my computer. After buying and using it was my first experience with problems with my computer, worms, bugs, and other difficulties that I invested in some professionals to mend.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Removed all my viruses immediately after I installed it. Easy to use, simple, basic, and a child can use it. Doesn't use words that are difficult to understand for those of us not techy like that. See for yourself.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

My computer came with McAfee software pre-installed. When the subscription ran out I tried switching over to Windows Defender and I couldn't because it claimed another software package was installed. I thought I fixed the problem, but I guess McAfee never really left my system, because even after I've uninstalled it Windows Defender can't turn on live time protections because there's another program blocking it. When I go to the Action Center and view installed virus protection apps it shows the Status of McAfee as Not Protected and the status of Windows Defender as Off. When I click on McAfee the Take Action button becomes enabled allowing me to sign up for a subscription to pay to be protected on a computer that I already paid good money for. When I click on Windows Defender it remains disabled.

I've uninstalled Mcafee software completely and Windows Defender is able to be opened, but Live Time protection is still blocked. I've gone to services and Windows Defender was already automatically running by this point. Finally I tried a System Restore in desperation and I'm back with the Mcafee software blocking windows defender and trying to scare me into paying them a subscription. I blame not only Mcafee, but the producers of laptops that have Mcafee pre-installed. This is a totally horrible racket. I know that Windows Defender would work just fine because I have it on other computers. In this case Asus is also to blame. I'm sure they're getting a cut of the profits from the victims of digital extortion who pay the subscription fee. From now on I'm checking to see if any so called "anti-virus" software is pre-installed to leech money from me after I've already paid for the laptop.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

My McAfee Total Protection was purchased a over 2 years ago & I was well satisfied. They have since added a new feature. Now, every time I boot up my PC a McAfee popup shows up in a minute or so and blocks whatever I am looking at. See attached photo. I called McAfee. They said, "You can't turn off that popup feature. Just ignore it. It's just a soft popup. Our customers like it." I find it infuriating. So if you love screen blocking Popups you will love McAfee Total Protection.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I am so tired of this program overriding my system when I chose not to use it! Stop!! I am the only user on my PC and yet when I try to delete this scam of a program they say I cannot because I do not have administrator access. I am the administrator!!! I have used this software on many of my computers and although I cannot confirm it, I really feel they plant the viruses so you feel you have to have them. For that reason I will not use them anymore and now when I have a new PC I have their alerts every 2 seconds trying to scam me in buying their product. I now have an alert on my screen that says buy our product or accept the risk!! I cannot close it but I have to "accept the risk"... Sounds like a threat to me and definitely a scam.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

McAfee came free for lifetime with my HP laptop purchase and I love it. It does what it's supposed to do and as long as I do the updates which are easy everything is good.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I have no real complaints about the performance or usability of this software and I have not used the customer support option. But my frustration is the cost of the recommended antivirus software.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

McAfee was free for me with my internet provider, they automatically protect everything that is on my network or being used in my home. It was free and I have no complaints.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

We were using both Norton and McAfee before, but we no longer use any of the antivirus software because when we had them, we noticed that we got more problems and seems that it doesn't really help.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I have it through Bell Canada and have had zero problems. I can leave it to run automatically or can set it up to run anytime I want to also.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I find this software easy to use. Have not been disappointed. Know many others who use it and are happy with it. Would recommend it over other high priced antivirus software.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I definitely didn't like Norton as they allowed things to crash my Computer more than once. McAfee seems to allow some things in too but nothing has crashed yet.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I have used other products. McAfee is the only one that did not cause operating conflicts. So far I have had flawless operation. The virus scan runs itself and gives me a full report if I so desire.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I've been using McAfee on my tablet for over three years. I like the price and that it protects my tablet against viruses and other harmful things. I don't know much about computers or tablets or even my phone but, I do know this product does what it says it will do and it's easy as pie to download and run it. Thanks McAfee for a good product.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

McAfee software for antivirus support is very good. I have had some issues with the firewall but was taken care of very quickly. The new addition to the software is TrueKey. I thought since Intel owns both products they would be very good, BUT TrueKey has many issues. Many times it doesn't fill in the login nor password to locations that you set up. This should be automatic but it is NOT. They also have many issues with fields that require security answers. They automatically fill them in with either the login name or password. I worked with Tier II at Intel to resolve some of these issues but they do not seem to get fixed. The original version had no limits to how many accounts you set up. Now they give you 15 and if you need more and you will for an additional $20. They offer unlimited amount, so beware.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I do not like this software. It doesn't work right and when you renew they keep asking you over and over again. Makes no sense, would not recommend this software. It does not warn me when there is a bad site, spam, etc.

McAfee expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Founded in 1987, McAfee is a longstanding and trusted name in antivirus software for consumers and business because of how the company has continued to advance products to keep up with a changing industry over the years. Now a part of Intel Security Group, the brand will be eventually be renamed.

• Global threat intelligence: McAfee uses this process, which collects data from millions of sources from around the globe, to offer real-time protection against viruses and other malicious threats.

• Protection for all devices: One McAfee subscription with a 30-day money back guarantee includes antivirus protection for all PCs, Macs, iOS and Android phones and tablets and Android watches. Anti-theft features for mobile devices lock down the device and can locate it when lost or stolen.

• Parental controls: This feature offers filtering and monitoring of what children can access and see when they are online. You’ll have to upgrade to McAfee Total Protection at $89.99 to get parental controls. Two other options cost $79.99 and $59.99, and discounts may be offered for the first year.

• True Key Identity Manager: This is a secure software password vault that is used to log into mobile apps, websites and devices using a combination of facial recognition, fingerprint or devices.

• Home network scanning: McAfee can scan a home Wi-Fi network to detect unprotected devices.

• Best for: Families, businesses and people handling highly sensitive information.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
    Shelley Elmblad

Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

McAfee Company Information

1987
    2821 Mission College Blvd.
    Santa Clara
    www.intelsecurity.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use