3.06/5

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

McAfee

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

McAfee Reviews

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

McAfee AV is not be compatible with Windows 10 and/or Chrome. McAfee Antivirus has a glitch that incorrectly notifies some users that their version of Chrome is out of date, and it shows the update as a "critical" need. I'm running Chrome 77.*.***, but McAfee Antivirus shows I have version 49.***. I've spoken to McAfee; they are aware of it, but they have no solution. Their only suggestion was to uninstall it, and then reinstall it. No improvement, no change. After that, they've stopped returning my emails.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

1 lisense was short 1 digit. I called/wrote. Meanwhile I got another and installed and downloaded. Screenshot for conformation. While using computer, it said McAfee expire. Called/wrote. Was told to reinstalled, tried it and it said it was already installed. No refund was sent.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

This company wasted me half day to deal with them and finally got my refund. Last year, the Company lured me to buy their internet protection service. I didn't choose or authorize auto renew; however, the company made auto-renew as a default setting to my account and charged me $131 for my single computer service this year. The refund process gave me a lot of hassle. The representative kept on persuading me to keep the service. After I repeated "please just refund me the money" for four times, he said, "Since you only have one device, we will give you a deal $35 for the whole year." I said "refund me" and you could send me the promotion. He said he could not send me the email. Finally, I rejected all the BS and got the refund. The guy told me the company was going to email me the promotion.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

The clue to this company's existence is in their name. McAfee = "Make A Fee". Continuous calls from 'representative' asking (almost telling) me to install updates to software I no longer have. £100 wasted on them a few years back. Since a discussion with computer systems expert, I have reinstalled operating system. My computer now runs much faster without antivirus software. I'm now just careful with what I run, e.g. emails and third party software.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I was searching for a new antivirus program where I could use a Trial Version for a month to test them out. I got to McAfee's website and located the area for a free months version. It did not distinguish from PC or Mac and only indicated it was a trial program. I downloaded it and it was an exe file and I have a Mac, so of course it doesnt work.

I searched the site for a Mac Trial Version, but nothing, so I contacted their Support via Chat. I told this man what I wanted and he said he would email me a link, so I sent him my email address. While still in chat I check my email only to find a link to creating a new password on their site. I told him I was not interested in creating an account, I just wanted a Trial Version for Mac. He then wanted to screen share to install it and I refused. After about 20 minutes going around with him, I exited chat. Then I started getting telephone calls from McAfee, which I blocked, but has continued for 3 calls now over several hours. Years ago, I used to like McAfee and used their software back in the early 80s I think, but no more! Not sure what happened to this company, but I will never recommend them to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about McAfee?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I have had McAfee Antivirus for 11 months and they never seem interested in actually scanning my computer for viruses until I contacted them to cancel my subscription. Scans were not automatic. I tried to cancel every way possible and their website does not allow that, so I cancelled their automatic withdrawal from my checking account. Two days later they managed to withdraw $109.99 from my checking account, anyway, and it is STILL impossible to contact them. These people are nothing but con artists. They shut down parts of their own websites so that they can say you never notified them of the cancellation. My next step will be to notify the Federal Trade Commission.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

Never ever use auto - renew - it is a con, you pay for a year but they auto renewal taking your money at the beginning of the 11th month. Also on their own website they advertise special offers which are much better deals and cheaper than auto renewal. Auto renewal is a con. New customers get a much better choice and deal.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

I purchased McAfee antivirus and actually my computer had some other issues and they would not give me a refund. Never used it. Never installed it. Never did anything. These people are trash. I wouldn't recommend them to a dog. They need Federal lawsuits filed on them. Please don't buy nothing from these people.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

I came home from vacation and found McAfee had charged my new credit card for a product that I did not order. They agreed to refund the amount they charged but could not explain to me how they got all the information on my new credit card without my knowledge or consent. BUYERS BEWARE.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

McAfee slows down your PC so much, way too expensive, and had to uninstall. It should not come pre-installed on any computer. I am so glad it uninstalled it. How are they still in business? So many people have had the same experience.

McAfee expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Founded in 1987, McAfee is a longstanding and trusted name in antivirus software for consumers and business because of how the company has continued to advance products to keep up with a changing industry over the years. Now a part of Intel Security Group, the brand will be eventually be renamed.

• Global threat intelligence: McAfee uses this process, which collects data from millions of sources from around the globe, to offer real-time protection against viruses and other malicious threats.

• Protection for all devices: One McAfee subscription with a 30-day money back guarantee includes antivirus protection for all PCs, Macs, iOS and Android phones and tablets and Android watches. Anti-theft features for mobile devices lock down the device and can locate it when lost or stolen.

• Parental controls: This feature offers filtering and monitoring of what children can access and see when they are online. You’ll have to upgrade to McAfee Total Protection at $89.99 to get parental controls. Two other options cost $79.99 and $59.99, and discounts may be offered for the first year.

• True Key Identity Manager: This is a secure software password vault that is used to log into mobile apps, websites and devices using a combination of facial recognition, fingerprint or devices.

• Home network scanning: McAfee can scan a home Wi-Fi network to detect unprotected devices.

• Best for: Families, businesses and people handling highly sensitive information.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
      Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

McAfee Company Information

1987
      2821 Mission College Blvd.
      Santa Clara