3.9/5 (899 ratings)

About McAfee

McAfee Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about McAfee?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about McAfee?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2022

I was enrolled in auto renewal without even realizing it. I got an email telling me my account was auto renewing that day. I called immediately to cancel but was told I would only get a 40% refund. I haven't even had a pc in quite some time so have not used the service at all. The renewal was $118, much more than I originally paid for the product when I bought it several years ago. Their protection may be good but their practices are predatory. I highly suggest not doing business with this company. Their customer service is horrible.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

Want to cancel 5 yr subscription I was railroaded into taking! All I want is a refund... Talk with someone with broken English, very hard to understand! Supervisor supposed to return my call.... 3 hrs later, no call! So frustrated!

Get buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

I purchased this product from Wal Mart in the clearance section. When I attempted to set up the key code information it gave an error message and stated that the key code was already used. I contacted Mcafee customer service and was told that the key code was already used by someone else with a different email address from my own. The rep told me that I would need to find the purchase receipt and send in a photo of it. This would be an extensive search for me as I own a business and it would entail digging thru 100s of receipts to find it. I only paid $8.39 for it in the clearance section. Mcafee should have resolved this issue without asking the customer to jump thru a lot of hoops. I will not be purchasing any products from Mcafee in the future.

Original review: July 24, 2022

McAfee snuck in an autorenewal to my contract. They let me know afterwards that I'd been charged. I tried to call but of course had to wait for much too long. I sent an email 4 months ago but received no reply at all. Now they say it's too late for a refund. They promised me a call back from a supervisor which did not happen. Then I received an email stating that the case had been resolved. Now they have me on hold again for ages. This is an absolute scam! Stay away!

Original review: May 20, 2022

I have repeatedly asked them to leave me alone. Now they contact me more. No customer service. This is my email account. If I don't want to hear from you I should not be forced. These people create the viruses that they charge us to correct. Every time I have used it in the past my computer crashed. No thanks. Your product is garbage.

Original review: May 13, 2022

The actual product was pretty good. My issue started when I read what they were doing with the information they collect. I changed service and now there is a McAfee Malware on my system that I can't remove. I get McAfee pop ups constantly. I would avoid at all costs.

Original review: April 28, 2022

I am a college student that got my computer a month before I started college. I purchased a one year subscription of McAfee and it has done nothing helpful. The only noticeable changes are that it keeps changing my default browser to yahoo and it makes it harder to open school documents. You'd think that opening documents on the same website all year would tell them that I trust it, but no there's still a pop up every time I try to open something.

Original review: April 22, 2022

On April 22 I get an email saying my subscription is going to expire in June. When I click on the link and go to my account to cancel my auto-renewal, it actually tells me my subscription is good until December 9, 2022! Then it threatens me to tell me I am losing constant protection if I cancel auto renewal but it describes as "ending my subscription and protection"! Very, very deceitful. I will be going to PC Matic for $50 vs $129 and no deceitful attempts to "renew" six months in advance!!!

Original review: April 18, 2022

I purchased my new laptop and purchased the 2 year subscription to McAfee for, I paid for the subscription on 12/13/21 (expires 12/13/23). Today I open my credit card statement (4/18/22) and they charged me $140!!! I don't owe them anything and it's not up for renewal. I called and was on hold for 23 minutes, spoke with an employee for 7 minutes, at first he says I can give you 50% off... I said NO, I already paid for the service!! I want a total refund! He put me on hold and than the call dropped. Find another provider with better Customer Service and an easier way to get ahold of them. They don't show any e-mail or other contact information.

Original review: April 9, 2022

Second year I was slammed with a "Second Subscription". McAfee sends multiple offers at multiple price points. "Here's a discount if you renew now". I activated VPN as part of subscription, and was Double Subscribed... overlapping timelines. 2021 they "fixed" their error, fast forward to 2021 and they slammed me for $159.99 on my Visa Card. Escalated to Fraudulent Charge at Bank.. Worst Customer Service from McAfee

McAfee author review by Shelley Elmblad

Founded in 1987, McAfee is a longstanding and trusted name in antivirus software for consumers and business because of how the company has continued to advance products to keep up with a changing industry over the years. Now a part of Intel Security Group, the brand will be eventually be renamed.

• Global threat intelligence: McAfee uses this process, which collects data from millions of sources from around the globe, to offer real-time protection against viruses and other malicious threats.

• Protection for all devices: One McAfee subscription with a 30-day money back guarantee includes antivirus protection for all PCs, Macs, iOS and Android phones and tablets and Android watches. Anti-theft features for mobile devices lock down the device and can locate it when lost or stolen.

• Parental controls: This feature offers filtering and monitoring of what children can access and see when they are online. You’ll have to upgrade to McAfee Total Protection at $89.99 to get parental controls. Two other options cost $79.99 and $59.99, and discounts may be offered for the first year.

• True Key Identity Manager: This is a secure software password vault that is used to log into mobile apps, websites and devices using a combination of facial recognition, fingerprint or devices.

• Home network scanning: McAfee can scan a home Wi-Fi network to detect unprotected devices.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Advisor

Shelley Elmblad is a writer with years of experience covering small business, mobile apps, personal finance and tax software. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

McAfee Company Information

1987
    2821 Mission College Blvd.
    Santa Clara