3.11/5

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

McAfee

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

819 McAfee Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

As per other people, I contacted McAfee to cancel my subscription after it had been automatically renewed (A WHOLE MONTH EARLY). They stated that they would refund me, and that it would take 5 working days. It is now 2 weeks later and I have still not received my £89.99. On the day that they took my subscription, their website stated that the product had been reduced from £89.99 to £45! I have been in touch with them on the 0800 number, only to be going around in circles. This company needs investigating. I note that another reviewer has still not received a refund, even after 3 months! This is disgraceful. I am now waiting for an 'Accounts Supervisor' to ring me back, but I don't hold out much hope. I intend to take this matter further. They should not be holding onto people's money. I am sure that in the past I have taken my 'Automatic Renewal' off, but it appears to have magically turned itself back to 'On'.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

All good with the McAfee until renewing my account. I’ve closed that c card so they couldn’t charge me automatically. Emails came. And when intruded to renew it was 70$, actually more expensive than if you would wanna purchase a new license. Now here’s the best part of it . My computer started to be “glitchy”. Couldn’t browse etc. I’ve uninstalled McAfee and guess what, computer runs smooth and fine. Is this what you scammers do now. You actually put a virus on that so call antivirus that slows computers down if you don’t renew your subscription? SHAME SHAME SHAME.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

My credit card was automatically charged for another year in May 2019. I called and canceled immediately. They claim that I would get my refund. I called about a week or two later and they claimed it was refunded. It was not and now it's been 3 months and I'm still waiting. Never subscribe to this company!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

The problem with McAfee is once it's in your life it never goes away. I had it preinstalled on my Lenovo gaming laptop and they give you the bogus deal to activate it for 70% off and I took the bait. It was more annoying than anything with pointless popups telling me I'm still ok. I canceled it and that is when it got bad. Every time I got onto my laptop after the subscription ended it would remind me every day that I am at risk and the pop ups would close games I'm in and ruin my position. When going to program files to uninstall it tells me I don't have the admin rights to delete it. Hard factory reset and the virus of a program is still there. So do not buy if you are in it for the long haul because it will not leave you. Keep in mind this is my first time seeking out a place to leave a review to hopefully save a device out there.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

Today I noticed a sub-folder that appeared under my Outlook Inbox called McAfee Anti-Spam. I wasn't too alarmed at first as I have McAfee LiveSafe installed as my anti-virus software. However, when I opened that folder, I found a lot of emails in there that aren't SPAM. Sure, that can happen, I've seen it before but what troubled me is that all of the e-mails in there were from my different Bank Accounts, Experian correspondences, and some of my business e-mails. So I looked at the settings for LiveSafe and noticed that e-mails flagged as ANTI-SPAM are forwarded to McAfee. The default selection is "Entire Email".

My interpretation of that is, all of the information in my e-mails have been forwarded to McAfee. Those e-mails contained bank account balances and transactions, credit card balances and spending, credit scores, confidential business information from some of my clients. I turned off the ANTI-SPAM but have been unsuccessful deleting that sub-folder they placed under my Inbox folder. This review is meant as a word of caution to any users of that software. My subscription ends this month. Will not RENEW.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about McAfee?

Original review: July 28, 2019

I installed McAfee as an assistant to help keep my PC safe. Throughout the years of having it, I've come to realize my computer is slower, weaker, can barely stay connected to the internet anymore, and God do I have to pray to not lag while playing Plants Vs Zombies, base game. Which come on, do you know my specs? Do you know the games requirements? My computer boasts power that should be able to easily run it (I used to run it super fast before McAfee got involved). Let's not mention how obnoxious it is just to remove the program, due to having 3-4 different sub-installed programs you can't just remove the program the easy way, it takes 3 restarts to finish rather than just uninstalling all and restarting once. PLEASE either make your program YOUR program or make it less blatant that your Norton ** is up.

By Norton ** I mean your program looks and feels exactly like Norton, save for the fact that Norton always sped my computer up, I've come to the strong realization that McAfee is the virus. It is the software hurting my hard drive. Uninstalling it has already shown fruit. Like I can run games again with over 10 fps, no thanks to McAfee's 59 background programs slowing everything down. Please again, either make it your own program or just straight up beg Norton to be part of their service ‘cause McAfee is a menace to software. My experience with McAfee? Always being told that my Admin account doesn't have the authority for things on my computer. So you mean to tell me, on my VERY OWN PERSONAL COMPUTER that I have no authority? What gives you the right to just shove your software ** into my computer and take my admin access away?

Original review: July 21, 2019

Dear McAfee technician and correspondent help. Thank you for your great support in helping me to install security on all my devices. I just want to express my gratitude for the three persons that assisted. Persons on chat Amal, and the persons who took control and guide the process. The tech who help my mobile devices. Thank you, great job. Your patience, your kindness and explanations. All of you are a great asset to the company. Thank you, great job.

Original review: July 11, 2019

Attempts to contact the service for cancellation is impossible. Have tried telephone and was disconnected. Had a Chat session with an individual which lasted 20 min and was informed my account was cancelled. The next day my was charged bank acct was charged again before normal cycle. This company does not respond to complaints. Should be prosecuted.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I canceled Safe Connect in March and had a confirmation case #. My credit card is still getting charged. Called and representative McAfee said it was not completely canceled, only the access key was removed but the not the subscription. This is a thief behavior, robbing customers.

Original review: June 28, 2019

Beware McAfee Anti-Virus Software. My subscription to my McAfee Anti-virus software recently expired so I clicked on the provided link to renew. Having duly paid the $39.99 renewal fee I downloaded the update but had to call a provided number to have the software activated. The call respondent had me download software to take control of my computer. He spent a long time explaining that my system was not fully covered and had several exposures. Problems that precluded him from finish the installation of the software with correction of the problem. Unsurprisingly, he had a solution for me: For only $449 he could clear the issues and offer me lifetime protection or a one year solution for only $299! When I refused, he asked my my age then told me he could offer me a senior citizens price that was slightly lower.

At this point I told him just to activate what I had paid for. He told me he couldn't so I told him to refund my money and I would find an alternative solution as I was disgusted with the sales practice. He agreed but warned me that any problems from here would not be their responsibility. I am now suspicious of what might have been loaded to my system, during his control session, that I don't know about. Trust is gone and I will never purchase a McAfee product again.

McAfee expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Founded in 1987, McAfee is a longstanding and trusted name in antivirus software for consumers and business because of how the company has continued to advance products to keep up with a changing industry over the years. Now a part of Intel Security Group, the brand will be eventually be renamed.

• Global threat intelligence: McAfee uses this process, which collects data from millions of sources from around the globe, to offer real-time protection against viruses and other malicious threats.

• Protection for all devices: One McAfee subscription with a 30-day money back guarantee includes antivirus protection for all PCs, Macs, iOS and Android phones and tablets and Android watches. Anti-theft features for mobile devices lock down the device and can locate it when lost or stolen.

• Parental controls: This feature offers filtering and monitoring of what children can access and see when they are online. You’ll have to upgrade to McAfee Total Protection at $89.99 to get parental controls. Two other options cost $79.99 and $59.99, and discounts may be offered for the first year.

• True Key Identity Manager: This is a secure software password vault that is used to log into mobile apps, websites and devices using a combination of facial recognition, fingerprint or devices.

• Home network scanning: McAfee can scan a home Wi-Fi network to detect unprotected devices.

• Best for: Families, businesses and people handling highly sensitive information.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
      Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

McAfee Company Information

1987
      2821 Mission College Blvd.
      Santa Clara