3.9/5 (1197 ratings)

About McAfee

McAfee Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about McAfee?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

I've been a customer for a few years but no longer required the service. Called to ask for the service to be removed until I required it again when I purchase a new laptop as you can't do this yourself. I wanted a refund and was told I couldn't get one as I was a few days past 60 days the auto renewal. I'm a Live Chat earlier the same day. I was told I would be refunded. No consideration for customer loyalty and the live CSR just talked over me continually until I just hung up as he wouldn't listen and just repeated himself non-stop. #mcafee @mcafee needs to up their customer service game if they expect someone to ever come back when they require protection again. I wouldn't have even given 1 star if there was an option.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2022

Their customer service is not qualified for their position. Unable to speak clear English. I asked for a American assistance. They did not transfer me. Instead hung up on me. I finally got through to someone through technical support and canceled my subscription. Terrible customer support system trying to save money.

Get buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2022

McAfee antivirus software works well and I wanted to renew - UNFORTUNATELY - the company is only product orientated, which means it focuses all their attention on producing a very good product BUT heaven forbid if you need 'customer service' basically there is no customer service just automated responses. Yet another global tech company who treat individuals as credit card numbers and when you need "real" service it all falls apart. You can read the endless lists and lists and lists of questions and answers but no human support whatsoever. No customer focus means customers get tired of dealing with internal auto-response systems and leave frustrated. Thankfully there is plenty of choices out there for antivirus who are customer focused and offer reliable customer service. McAfee has a good product but their sales/product orientation means that once they get your money, they care little about anything else.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2022

The everyday pop ups were very annoying. I accidently signed up twice because of it. Every time I called for customer service I got the runaround. Passed from agent to agent. Finally got a refund for one subscription and they shut off my service. Every time I called it was an hour or two on the phone and I got nowhere. I just deleted their app from my computer and I would like to warn people that this is the worse experience I have ever had with customer service and you have to pretty far to beat the bad customer service at ATT.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

DO NOT BUY THIS SOFTWARE PRODUCT!! I have had trouble installing McAfee before. I just bought a brand new computer, and I tried to install it. No luck. I called customer service, and I got a very nice and competent rep. She took remote control of my computer. I was on the phone for hours! She tried THREE SEPARATE TIMES and IT WOULD NOT FULLY INSTALL!! It took hours! Uninstalling the part that was there, and then installing part of it, but it would never fully install - on my brand new computer. I finally gave up.

My subscription goes until next May - six months away. I had paid $138 for this subscription. She transferred me to the billing department - and I asked politely for a refund for the remaining six months - which I could not use. NO - said the billing department person. No refunds - period. I called them thieves, and said they have a "racket" going. They sell software that CANNOT be installed, and then they charge for it - and keep all the money!!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2022

After 4 years with McAfee Computer security company, I requested cancel my membership and ask for refunds. The company refused to do so. That is ridiculous. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2022

I was enrolled in auto renewal without even realizing it. I got an email telling me my account was auto renewing that day. I called immediately to cancel but was told I would only get a 40% refund. I haven't even had a pc in quite some time so have not used the service at all. The renewal was $118, much more than I originally paid for the product when I bought it several years ago. Their protection may be good but their practices are predatory. I highly suggest not doing business with this company. Their customer service is horrible.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

Want to cancel 5 yr subscription I was railroaded into taking! All I want is a refund... Talk with someone with broken English, very hard to understand! Supervisor supposed to return my call.... 3 hrs later, no call! So frustrated!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

I purchased this product from Wal Mart in the clearance section. When I attempted to set up the key code information it gave an error message and stated that the key code was already used. I contacted Mcafee customer service and was told that the key code was already used by someone else with a different email address from my own. The rep told me that I would need to find the purchase receipt and send in a photo of it. This would be an extensive search for me as I own a business and it would entail digging thru 100s of receipts to find it. I only paid $8.39 for it in the clearance section. Mcafee should have resolved this issue without asking the customer to jump thru a lot of hoops. I will not be purchasing any products from Mcafee in the future.

Original review: July 24, 2022

McAfee snuck in an autorenewal to my contract. They let me know afterwards that I'd been charged. I tried to call but of course had to wait for much too long. I sent an email 4 months ago but received no reply at all. Now they say it's too late for a refund. They promised me a call back from a supervisor which did not happen. Then I received an email stating that the case had been resolved. Now they have me on hold again for ages. This is an absolute scam! Stay away!

McAfee author review by Shelley Elmblad

Founded in 1987, McAfee is a longstanding and trusted name in antivirus software for consumers and business because of how the company has continued to advance products to keep up with a changing industry over the years. Now a part of Intel Security Group, the brand will be eventually be renamed.

• Global threat intelligence: McAfee uses this process, which collects data from millions of sources from around the globe, to offer real-time protection against viruses and other malicious threats.

• Protection for all devices: One McAfee subscription with a 30-day money back guarantee includes antivirus protection for all PCs, Macs, iOS and Android phones and tablets and Android watches. Anti-theft features for mobile devices lock down the device and can locate it when lost or stolen.

• Parental controls: This feature offers filtering and monitoring of what children can access and see when they are online. You’ll have to upgrade to McAfee Total Protection at $89.99 to get parental controls. Two other options cost $79.99 and $59.99, and discounts may be offered for the first year.

• True Key Identity Manager: This is a secure software password vault that is used to log into mobile apps, websites and devices using a combination of facial recognition, fingerprint or devices.

• Home network scanning: McAfee can scan a home Wi-Fi network to detect unprotected devices.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Advisor

Shelley Elmblad is a writer with years of experience covering small business, mobile apps, personal finance and tax software. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

McAfee Company Information

1987
    2821 Mission College Blvd.
    Santa Clara