3.48/5
Based on 201 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

767 McAfee Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 9, 2018

I just got off the phone with customer service and they are refunding my money but I still have to pay double to remove it from my credit card for renewal. I need this issue resolved as soon as possible... I don't have double the money so they don't keep charging me! I'm VERY upset!

Original review: May 31, 2018

When I called in for help to install, very pushing in trying to sell me more help. I told them I have someone who can clean my computer. When Deborah kept pushing the issue while in my computer I grabbed the mouse to close her out of my computer & we fought back & forth with the mouse. I was so shocked. That happen this morning!

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 24, 2018

FRAUD. I never signed up for auto renewal. I work for a company that requires its own security and charges me $75.00 a month for tech support and security. McAfee drafted $100.99 for a renewal which I did not want nor need. I spoke with three different customer service reps, 2 in the Philippines, 1 in the US. All 3 contradicted themselves several times throughout the call. They lie and made stuff up just to get you off the phone. I called ANOTHER rep in Texas who suggested I conference call my bank to expedite my refund to ensure the money would be in my account the next day all the while knowing that the company wouldn't do that. McAfee takes 5-7 business days to refund money that they fraudulently stole from you. Worst customer service ever.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I have a severe complaint about McAfee products and the lousy customer service department including the very stupid supervisors. McAfee support charged me 107.00 twice on my bank account. They are only supposed to charge me yearly. Not every damn month. I requested a refund and I was told by a very stupid supervisor that if I want a refund they are going to cancel my protection on my computer. What kind of sense does that make. None. My expiration date on my lap top computer is in 2019. First of all they are charging me once a month instead of once a year. They are supposedly investigating this but they have no answers. Why is that. I am so pissed off by this. You need to seriously investigate this crappy company. They are crooks and frauds. Signed with extreme disgust.

Original review: May 15, 2018

When I called McAfee today to have them re-install the antivirus they told me I had a virus and that's why I don't have McAfee on my computer and they charge me #199.00 to remove the virus and re-install it again, They hardly speak English, they are most of them from India. I told them I paid for antivirus BUT I got a virus because of you. I'm calling my bank tomorrow and have my money refunded.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about McAfee?

Original review: April 25, 2018

This product does not deserve any stars. I read the highly rated reviews; a trial version came with my HP laptop, so it must be good, right? And; McAfee offers a "100% Satisfaction Guarantee." The software did not catch the virus I got about day 40 . To add insult to injury it occurred while I was writing my novel. More than 400 pages were replaced by McAfee with this message: "This issue may be due to virus infection, we do have a free virus removal support option and in order to avail that you may need to turn on McAfee automatic renewal. Shall we go ahead?"

There is NO Customer Service. They never responded to my chat inquiry or my email. I call their scheme simple blackmail. There are too many good, reputable (and free) antivirus programs out there. Even my company's IT department won't recommend McAfee. (THEY told me how to rid the new laptop of the virus). DON'T BUY THIS PRODUCT.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Technician James made a big error. Charge me for service by saying, "You need these programs." As far as I know were never received on my computer. Cannot get in touch with James. McAfee does not have a e-mail address and a fax number. Impossible to reach James to help with this issue. As for as I KNOWN gave James $533.57 for service. Have not receive a invoice to match my credit card statement. Have a contract for 2 year ending December 2018. WANT MY MONEY BACK for service never received.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I downloaded McAfee Antivirus on my laptop, it did all the updates, upon restarting the computer, my screen was black with only the cursor visible. My second laptop's screen also went black after the McAfee updates. Repairman said this is a very common and typical problem of McAfee and Webroot antivirus software being corrupt and thus corrupting the computer and particularly Windows systems. Maybe if consumers were warned of such, antivirus software ratings wouldn't give consumers a false sense of security.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Problem started when I went to renew my client's corporate antivirus software. I clicked on the link. They sent me to their web store. Went to a form with all my contact information already on it. I clicked to submit my payment, and I got a message that my postal code wasn't valid. Considering it came from their records, and it's been valid everywhere for the last 30 years this was a surprise. Ok so I called the next day to finish the order.

The helpful person couldn't find it at first, then said I had two accounts (true) and he was able to amalgamate the accounts, and put through the renewal, although the price was not what they said in the renewal email. This process took 2 hours, including transfers from one department to another and a full hour on hold before I spoke to anyone. Called back in the evening to check the prices. The customer service person had trouble locating the account, then stated that the sales department is closed for the night so they couldn't do anything for me. This took 90 minutes.

Called the next morning, and got a discount for the problem with the pricing, (done) but noticed that I the computers with the expiring licenses were not listed on the website. I was transferred to Tech support, who couldn't find the data. Didn't know about the amalgamated accounts, and had to wait for the person who helped me originally to come in to complete the process. They'd call back in 2 - 4 hours when the person from the previous evening returned. This process took 3 hours.

Called back 5 hours from when I had completed the call with the last tech, as I didn't get a callback. Same problems finding the account, but was able to find it eventually. I stated the entire problem was caused on their end when they were messing with the account, and that they needed to fix it. I received excuses. I then asked for a manager, who wasn't available. Wasn't able to talk to anyone above the original tech, who, pretty much said that they couldn't do anything for me, and, after a total of 7 hours on the phone, told me I'd have to uninstall and reinstall the software I had just renewed - so it would work with the new customer portal. I was not pleased with this new piece of information.

The tech pointed me to the job ticket portal so I could see the responses and actions taken to that point (nothing) and summaries of our conversations, but clicking on the link on management portal - that I'm logged into - redirects me to their business support site, which requires a log in, and much to my surprise, the user name and password doesn't work. The tech on the phone was no help here either.

I asked the tech to leave a message for someone above him to call me in the morning, and left a detailed note for them to respond to - we're now about 15 hours from the start of their business day, and I'm still waiting for a call. So I'm at 7 and a half hours on the phone with them, do not have the problems resolved, and my best information now is I'm going to have to go to each individual computer and uninstall and reinstall their software.

So we're back to my title. I'm happy with the software, but will not deal with the humans they have working there again. They were pleasant, but I feel they lied to me on multiple occasions. I found them to be ill-trained, mistake prone, unwilling to provide any service above the bare minimum, and in some cases untruthful. By the time I was finished talking to them, I wasn't really sure what was true and what wasn't. I'd check my open problem ticket to see if there was any progress - oh wait - I can't, my login doesn't work. I guess that's one way to get rid a problem.

Original review: April 6, 2018

This morning I joined McAfee Antivirus... I gave them my Card Details with a promise of 30 Day money back Trail. After my computer crashed again and seen no McAfee installation on my computer I called the helpline. The Chap Gave me a code that taken total control of my computer remotely. I said, “I wanted to cancel now and go with another antivirus company.” He said I can check a box to cancel... I put my email number in the box to cancel. THEN SAID IT’S GOING TO COST $120.00 IN SERVICE FEES TO CANCEL MCAFEE. I have contacted my bank and cancelled my card. What a hassle. I hope no one else has to go through This Experience... I would rather have a virus. Thank you.

Original review: March 26, 2018

This antivirus has been preferred at every company I have been employed, so I trust that they are the best. I have never had any issue with security or use with this software. I have the ease of mind that my computer is safe. And the pop-up reminders are great! I don't have to worry about remembering updates or anything like that. Being able to set when I want updates is a nice feature as well.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I like the way McAfee seems safe and is easy to use and get. The system would be easy for people who are not as good with computers as me. McAfee was a little pricey but I didn't use the computer enough to know if the price was really a significant amount. The price was the main reason I stop doing it. Otherwise McAfee worked well for the most part and it was helpful. McAfee was okay and I would do again for a free trial.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I like McAfee a lot because it seems to work really well for me. You can renew online if you want or go someplace else. However, I would like for it to be explained better how it work, why it works and why it works so well. Still, my overall experience was very good and it makes me feel safe when using it at all times like with purchases. It really makes me feel comfortable when using it. Many people I know use this and they all have great confidence in it.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I chose McAfee because my sister recommended it. She usually uses it and really likes it. I really like that McAfee is easy to use and is updated regularly. I like that it sometimes shows me when there's a possible problem and I choose whether or not to address it. The only features I'd probably improve would be the option of allowing an update. Sometimes it's sad when it automatically tries to update on my computer and I'm in the middle of something. However, my overall experience with the software has been really good. I haven't had any viruses since using it.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I like all the features of this antivirus software, and it's been a lot better than other antivirus software. It's been a trusted antivirus software for some years now. It's secure, protects my files, passwords, and sensitive information, and I really don't have to worry about hackers or viruses attacking my computer. And the experience with them has been awesome, and they clearly live up to their word and my expectations.

Original review: March 25, 2018

McAfee antivirus software seems to be aimed at keeping you aware of all the possible threats to your security. The name was recognizable and I hoped they would live up to the good reputation they enjoy as top notch antivirus software. I like that it's easy to install and trustworthy... I wanted a software package that would live in the background and only interrupt me when it's really important and McAfee's less annoying than the free antivirus software that interrupts and disrupts what you are doing all the time to tell you that you should upgrade to be even more protected.

But maybe if it was more reassuring instead of all red and warning oriented. It would be nicer if it just kept a green light or a Happy smiley face unless it was dealing with a threat, somewhere in the corner of your screen. Then you could see it go back to happy when the threat is dealt with. Rather than using "scare the customer" so they will know how important our antivirus is to their security. I prefer a more positive approach. But overall, I found it useful, and felt safer with it installed.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I used this software because it came highly recommended to me by people who are knowledgeable in IT. It gets a lot of advertising. We received a lot of emails almost daily that explained its value. It was easy to use. But, I am not sure that the software really worked as we did get a virus on our PC. We have also used a Mac and the security has proven to be far more beneficial in keeping our stuff safe.

Original review: March 25, 2018

McAfee was chosen for me to begin with by my Dad. He was our tech person in the family and he researched everything before he bought it, so we trusted his judgment. I've kept it throughout the years because it does its job and I have never had any issues. I like that it automatically updates, and frequently checks to see if anything you have downloaded has any issues, not just viruses. It also checks data usage, and odd files that it finds that could be nothing, repeats or a virus. I trust this company a lot. But I seem to recall every year the price going up considerably, making me want to explore other carriers. However I would have to do research on them to see if they compare in quality. You do get what you pay for.

Original review: March 24, 2018

My overall experience with this software has been good, all I need is basic protection and McAfee was free with the computer that I purchased. I like the fact that it was easy to download and keeps everything updated automatically. It keeps everything safe for what I need too.

Original review: March 24, 2018

Got the laptop at Best Buy and McAfee was some of the sample software that was on there for it. The real time scanning in the calendar for easy scheduling of clean was really nice. But it should have more description on the findings. Sometimes it was like he just said what it was whether it's a virus or malware potential in one program and didn't really say the developer was or why you might have that file on there.

Original review: March 24, 2018

It always kept my computer safe. And I never had a problem with them. Easy to buy at local Walmart and serviced up to three computers at a time. Scanned my computer at the same time everyday. If a virus did pop up the free McAfee was quick and fast to resolve blocked it from my computer. I loved the peace of mind knowing my computer was safe. Because I have kids that would play on the computer. It was a great product plus the price was good. However, I would improve the speed of the disk downloading. It was very slow to install. But I really like once was installed on the computer. I never had to worry about getting a virus.

Original review: March 23, 2018

One day I was trying to download a resource pack for Minecraft (I am a Gamer) and it asked for "Your Passcode". I have never seen that before as it usually asks for your administrator's passcode. I could not type in my password and then I could not close the tabs and the installer. Then, the Password tab closed and the installer installed without me typing in the passcode. Then, I could not control my computer and the McAfee website popped up then closed. Just to confirm I did not buy the McAfee "AntiVirus". Really a Virus, But then my computer worked normally.

The next day I went to my computer and when I was searching the web and I was redirected to McAfee. I was constantly redirected to McAfee and it gives you a FAKE Apple website where a person that you chat to will do you NOTHING and ask you personal information. Then I went to a real Apple chat person and they check for a place where the malware could be hiding. By the way, the official name for the is McAfee Pop-Up Malware.

Back to the review, so the person checked for places it could be hiding and we found an ad malware in Safari preferences but that was only part of it. So she recommended Malwarebytes to me and I used the 30-day trial and it found the malware a DESTROYED IT :):):). Sorry, I forgot one thing. The last time it redirected me it brought me to a fake Apple website that said in a robot voice "We have found a virus on your computer and click this button to download software to delete it. If you delete this tab we will be forced to shut down your computer." AND THERE WAS A TIME LIMIT!!! Luckily, I noticed that it said an ad in the bottom, right corner and it said insecure website on the URL. I mean is Apple insecure?? They made the computer. Sooo I deleted the tab even though they said they would shut down the computer and it was a good choice... THEY LIED!!! So NEVER GET ANYTHING FROM MCAFEE. IT IS A SCAM!!!

Original review: March 23, 2018

I found it to be easy to use and understand, and the price was very reasonable. I would choose to do it again. It is a very good value and I have heard from friends and family they also feel the same. If you do have questions you can contact a real person. But, I would improve the availability. I would like to see new offers from them maybe even some discounts, and loyalty rewards.

Original review: March 23, 2018

It watches the websites and warns me before I log into it that it might be questionable. It gives me a chance to reconsider my choice... Also monitors log ins for cookies attached and prevents them from getting into your computer. I like having someone watching out for me so I don't have to worry every minute. I just wish the housekeeping mode would run faster and that the software to automatically update to the latest viruses and bug out there so you would have the latest and greatest protection for your everyday use.

Original review: March 23, 2018

It came free with the computer that I purchased, so it was nice that I didn't pay for it. It was also easy to uninstall, if I wanted to do that. It reminded me of regular updates, but not in an intrusive way. However, it was not really clear what viruses it was scanning for or when it was scanning. I was unsure if I needed to do more to protect my computer. I'd heard of McAfee before, so that certainly helped prevent me from immediately uninstalling the software. But, I ended up uninstalling and using Windows Defender, instead.

Original review: March 23, 2018

McAfee is Super Simple and very super easy access. My grandmother who is very not-Technologically-advanced uses it every day, and will continue. But maybe they should try lowering the price or offering more budget-friendly packages or specials for returning customers aka my grandmother who's been with them for ten years. Other than that, McAfee is great and has used this company for 10 years. I've never had any issues with it, neither had my grandmother who uses it way more often than I.

Original review: March 22, 2018

McAfee did its job even though I'm pretty sure I still got a few viruses that got by. My parents used it so that's why I ended up using it myself. It was easy to download as well. I like that it would pop up when a virus was incoming and it would drop pop ups. It made my mind at ease. It would also tell me of unsecured sites before I ended them. But I didn't like their price. I would like that McAfee would be free or cost less money and have more options and would catch every single virus that was incoming.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I chose this McAfee antivirus software because of its excellent reputation as a software company. It was developed by a highly reputable software company that offers up-to-date virus protection, easy instructions and non-complicating troubleshooting. It's easy to maneuver and understand.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I like how simple and easy it is to set up and use on all my devices that I use to surf the internet. I really like this software above all the other alternatives. In general I really like this company for all my software needs. Although, I'm not too fond of their price range. They should set up a new rewards program for their loyal customers. Also set up a program where all the customer has to do is insert the software and or download the app.

Original review: March 22, 2018

McAfee was simple to find and easy for an inexperienced user to understand and use to its potential. I chose this virus software because it could be used on both iOS, Mac, and Windows platforms, and because I thought the subscription price point was reasonable. I liked that it could be used on all my devices, since between four family members, we have quite a few. McAfee also has a guarantee that I like where they will fix your issue free if a virus gets past their product and that the company stands behind their software.

But, I wish it were a more robust product for Mac the way it is for PCs. Mac always seems to be the stepchild, but at least viruses aren't nearly the problem they are for PCs. It also takes a long time to look at everything but I suppose there are a lot of ways that your computer can be compromised, so maybe that's a good thing. I was very satisfied with how easy it was to keep the software up to date, especially since it seems there are new viruses being released all the time. And updating the virus definition files was very simple.

McAfee expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Founded in 1987, McAfee is a longstanding and trusted name in antivirus software for consumers and business because of how the company has continued to advance products to keep up with a changing industry over the years. Now a part of Intel Security Group, the brand will be eventually be renamed.

• Global threat intelligence: McAfee uses this process, which collects data from millions of sources from around the globe, to offer real-time protection against viruses and other malicious threats.

• Protection for all devices: One McAfee subscription with a 30-day money back guarantee includes antivirus protection for all PCs, Macs, iOS and Android phones and tablets and Android watches. Anti-theft features for mobile devices lock down the device and can locate it when lost or stolen.

• Parental controls: This feature offers filtering and monitoring of what children can access and see when they are online. You’ll have to upgrade to McAfee Total Protection at $89.99 to get parental controls. Two other options cost $79.99 and $59.99, and discounts may be offered for the first year.

• True Key Identity Manager: This is a secure software password vault that is used to log into mobile apps, websites and devices using a combination of facial recognition, fingerprint or devices.

• Home network scanning: McAfee can scan a home Wi-Fi network to detect unprotected devices.

• Best for: Families, businesses and people handling highly sensitive information.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
    Shelley Elmblad

Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

McAfee Company Information

1987
    2821 Mission College Blvd.
    Santa Clara