Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.82/5

McAfee Reviews

Original review: March 13, 2020

I was very startled to find that McAfee took $127.61 out of my checking account, WITHOUT my authorization. I called them to find out what was going on. I spoke to a customer service rep. Told him about the unauthorized withdrawal. I told him that the last time I used the protection plan was 2016. He then went into my computer and stated that I had 2 virus's and, that I HAD to remove it in order for my account to be canceled and my money refunded. He then tells me that it would cost me $400 to do this. I told him again that I did not have the money. He said that he could arrange a payment plan. I argued with this man for another 20 minutes. I told him repeatedly that I DID NOT have the money, because THEY had taken it from me without my permission.

He kept telling me that I was not understanding him and that I HAD to do this, in order to refund my money. I finally told him I wanted to talk with a Supervisor. He gave me the number of another person. I spoke with a woman. I went through the whole process again. I interrupted her and told her that I only wanted my money back, Nothing else. She transferred my call to the Refund Dept. I went through my situation AGAIN for the 3rd time. After talking with him for about 35 minuets, he told me that I had to pay to remove the Protection Plan from my computer. I told him in no certain terms that I was going to pay them any money. I demanded my $127.61 back and nothing else from them. He told me that he had to talk with his supervisor.

He came back to me and then told me that, he could remove the plan from my computer for $40 and they could refund me $87.61. After another go around, and another discussion with his supervisor, he finally told me that he would refund the money, and that it would take 5 to 7 business days for it to be put back into my account. At the end of the conversation he had the nerve to ask me to take the brief survey at the end of the conversation about my experience. Then I was disconnected. I could not believe this was happening. What kind of customer service was this? Trying to force you to spend money in order to get your money back. I have dealt with Customer Service Departments before but, never, have I had to deal with such treatment by any of them, like I had to deal with last night.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I made an online purchase of the McAfee Total Protection for 5 devices for only $39.99 on their website but found it difficult to download the product. For 10 devices it cost $49.99, for 5 devices it cost $39.99 and for 1 device the cost is $34.99. A difference of $10 and 5$ between the 3 products, I suppose the low prices is a clear indication that this is a scam if the download installation won't work and you can't get your refund back. I received an email with a download link and a receipt but no contact email.

After downloading the setup installation from the link and running it I was unable to download the product. A window reads problem with installation. Tried a couple of times to download but still same message. Tried the pre-install tool, won't work either. The service request number won't work either. If you want a refund there is no contact email or chat window only a phone number to contact. I am not sure if scammers are using the mcAfee website for their benefit or is it just mcAfee service. At this moment I don't know how to get a refund. Contacting them by phone is way too expensive as I don't live in the US.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 2, 2020

Absolute waste of money. Mcafee took double for first year. Then took the next year's renewal out in advance without my permission. Tried to get in contact but no one answers. Sent several messages and no reply.

Original review: March 1, 2020

I have purchased their anti virus software and have had many problems over the years with it not functioning properly. After doing personal business on my laptop, I always clear out my browsers and shred my temp files. I will also check for any viruses. The software will not always launch. I have to shut down my computer and re-boot. It takes over 6 hours to do a full virus scan. I would expect that time to be reasonable if I had fully used my all of my memory. But I am only using 25% of it. I purchase another device and had McAfee installed and have confirmation that it was installed properly. I don't use that device very often, but when I do, a pop window keeps telling me that I have to renew the subscription. The subscription I purchased was for 1 yr. and is only 5 months old. As a result of these irritating issue, I do not believe I will be purchasing any software from this company anymore.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

Watch out for their popup ads, misleading, looted $51.00. The pop asked me to renew my subscription by paying 50 or some dollars and after paying it I realized it's not what I wanted. It was for some other service and they won't pay my hard-earned money back - thieves.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about McAfee?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Because McAfee was never signed up for, never downloaded by me and still pops up more than (any) other pop up is proof that McAfee is basically malware. Why would anyone pay for a service that is essentially a virus on its own? It took me hours to delete it from my system because of how deeply it embeds itself. If I had a rivalry or a grudge against someone, my gift to them would be McAfee "anti" virus. I have never been more annoyed by a product, ever. I never wanted this program, say no to its "deals" daily and they still repeat the questions daily. Never, ever use this terrible program. As soon as I deleted it I got less pop ups than when it was actively "removing threats" lol... It is basically a placebo and malware for your computer and they want you to PAY for it. Nope.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

I wish I could give this no stars. I used the McAfee Anti-Virus for three years, and found it to be non-effective. I still was getting viruses and had to take my computer to the repair shop several times to get rid of them. I received a notice in October 2019 asking me to renew the subscription for one year. An 11-page document was sent, in which an "automatic renewal" statement was buried, in type so tiny I overlooked it. On November 11, 2019, I received a notice from McAfee that my subscription was renewed for $127.61, which was put on my credit card. I immediately wrote them asking them to cancel the order.

Since then, I have been arguing with McAfee and my credit card company trying to get this charge removed. McAfee insists that I ordered the service, while I insist that I didn't. My credit card company say it has no control over the matter. Yesterday I was on the phone with both of them trying to resolve the matter. A representative of McAfee said they would "get back" to me, but never did. I have received several emails from McAfee asking me to "activate" this service, which I have not done. I think this is an underhanded, questionable way to do business and urge anyone interested in this service not to order it.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

This software came with my computer, so I didn't really have a choice in the matter but hey, free software for a broke college student. Now the subscription has expired and it's giving me multiple pop-ups a day. Some telling me to renew my subscription, others trying to get me to go to adult websites, and some even telling me to vote republican. I have not been able to find a way to remove the software entirely off my computer because I cannot find it. Do yourself a favor and do not get this.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

An auto renew for McAfee just went through my credit card. I did not opt in for this when I originally bought the software a year ago. To obtain a refund, I found a link in the 2 pt font (yes, that's really small) in the email about the auto renewal, followed the link, hunted through pages of their website and then filled out a form to request a refund. Then, I received a message telling me to phone them and quote a service number. Why?

I called and then sat on hold (natch) and when I got through, provided the exact same information as I had filled in on the website. There was no value-added by having to call. It is just a chance for their sales guy to try and convince to to stay. I refused to listen to the guy's sales pitch or respond to questions about why I didn't want their software. He then put me on hold for three more minutes (!) to process the refund. I don't do business with companies that deliberately waste my time to further their own interests. They stole 20 minutes of my day. Done with McAfee.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

Your customer service representative, Rick, was very helpful and patient straightening out my overlap in renewals. He took time with me and saw what had happened.....explained to me. I am very grateful for his expertise and patience..

McAfee expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Founded in 1987, McAfee is a longstanding and trusted name in antivirus software for consumers and business because of how the company has continued to advance products to keep up with a changing industry over the years. Now a part of Intel Security Group, the brand will be eventually be renamed.

• Global threat intelligence: McAfee uses this process, which collects data from millions of sources from around the globe, to offer real-time protection against viruses and other malicious threats.

• Protection for all devices: One McAfee subscription with a 30-day money back guarantee includes antivirus protection for all PCs, Macs, iOS and Android phones and tablets and Android watches. Anti-theft features for mobile devices lock down the device and can locate it when lost or stolen.

• Parental controls: This feature offers filtering and monitoring of what children can access and see when they are online. You’ll have to upgrade to McAfee Total Protection at $89.99 to get parental controls. Two other options cost $79.99 and $59.99, and discounts may be offered for the first year.

• True Key Identity Manager: This is a secure software password vault that is used to log into mobile apps, websites and devices using a combination of facial recognition, fingerprint or devices.

• Home network scanning: McAfee can scan a home Wi-Fi network to detect unprotected devices.

• Best for: Families, businesses and people handling highly sensitive information.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

McAfee Company Information

1987
            2821 Mission College Blvd.
            Santa Clara