3.12/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 20, 2017

623 McAfee Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

My McAfee Total Protection was purchased a over 2 years ago & I was well satisfied. They have since added a new feature. Now, every time I boot up my PC a McAfee popup shows up in a minute or so and blocks whatever I am looking at. See attached photo. I called McAfee. They said, "You can't turn off that popup feature. Just ignore it. It's just a soft popup. Our customers like it." I find it infuriating. So if you love screen blocking Popups you will love McAfee Total Protection.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I am so tired of this program overriding my system when I chose not to use it! Stop!! I am the only user on my PC and yet when I try to delete this scam of a program they say I cannot because I do not have administrator access. I am the administrator!!! I have used this software on many of my computers and although I cannot confirm it, I really feel they plant the viruses so you feel you have to have them. For that reason I will not use them anymore and now when I have a new PC I have their alerts every 2 seconds trying to scam me in buying their product. I now have an alert on my screen that says buy our product or accept the risk!! I cannot close it but I have to "accept the risk"... Sounds like a threat to me and definitely a scam.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

McAfee came free for lifetime with my HP laptop purchase and I love it. It does what it's supposed to do and as long as I do the updates which are easy everything is good.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I have no real complaints about the performance or usability of this software and I have not used the customer support option. But my frustration is the cost of the recommended antivirus software.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

McAfee was free for me with my internet provider, they automatically protect everything that is on my network or being used in my home. It was free and I have no complaints.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about McAfee?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

We were using both Norton and McAfee before, but we no longer use any of the antivirus software because when we had them, we noticed that we got more problems and seems that it doesn't really help.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I have it through Bell Canada and have had zero problems. I can leave it to run automatically or can set it up to run anytime I want to also.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I find this software easy to use. Have not been disappointed. Know many others who use it and are happy with it. Would recommend it over other high priced antivirus software.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I definitely didn't like Norton as they allowed things to crash my Computer more than once. McAfee seems to allow some things in too but nothing has crashed yet.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I have used other products. McAfee is the only one that did not cause operating conflicts. So far I have had flawless operation. The virus scan runs itself and gives me a full report if I so desire.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I've been using McAfee on my tablet for over three years. I like the price and that it protects my tablet against viruses and other harmful things. I don't know much about computers or tablets or even my phone but, I do know this product does what it says it will do and it's easy as pie to download and run it. Thanks McAfee for a good product.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

McAfee software for antivirus support is very good. I have had some issues with the firewall but was taken care of very quickly. The new addition to the software is TrueKey. I thought since Intel owns both products they would be very good, BUT TrueKey has many issues. Many times it doesn't fill in the login nor password to locations that you set up. This should be automatic but it is NOT. They also have many issues with fields that require security answers. They automatically fill them in with either the login name or password. I worked with Tier II at Intel to resolve some of these issues but they do not seem to get fixed. The original version had no limits to how many accounts you set up. Now they give you 15 and if you need more and you will for an additional $20. They offer unlimited amount, so beware.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I do not like this software. It doesn't work right and when you renew they keep asking you over and over again. Makes no sense, would not recommend this software. It does not warn me when there is a bad site, spam, etc.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

McAfee is the most user friendly antivirus software out there. I have tried Kaspersky and Norton but prefer McAfee out of all of them. It provides the protection I need to keep all of my computers safe.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I have had this software for many years with an update yearly and I like it because it is easy to use and if I can do it then anybody can! I have had it on all of my computers and don't see any time changing.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

They told me my subscription had expired and that our computers were at risk. But I could not stop them from extending it free for awhile until I would decide to renew. I didn't want it but could not get it off my computer so I never felt secure and I installed different antivirus software. Then 16 months later, I got a bill for an automatic renewal... so for those months, we were paying for service for 2 computers. So we got no service from McAfee, and in essence, they cancelled a service that we had already paid for, and when we found this out after receiving service from another company, we were not offered a refund.

In my opinion, they stole from us. I finally had to uninstall the entire program. Obviously if I had not been getting all those messages about it, I would have kept on using it but there seemed to be no explanation or apology or attempt to find the reason for the problem. It is as if McAfee does not care or is incapable of understanding how to provide communication with customers.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I find it very aggressive and I have not had a virus get through it. This is my third year using it. I do have the full protection package. I would highly recommend it.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Been using min. 20+ years on everything from biz to personal use. I have always used in conjunction w/ Norton. Good value and good predictive asset. Try it out - if you don't want your system(s) to go down... It's worth it. OK for small/medium biz but not great at scalability but does well on IoT.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Horrible. I hate all anti software. Instead of protecting my system the software usually give me viruses when I download my game. I hate this with a passion.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I have never really had to use the customer support as far as I can remember. My first Dell computer came with McAfee & that's what I have stayed with for the last 15+ years.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I get this for free, so I can't complain, but I've never had any security issues either. They also have a pay version, which may be better, but I don't use my home computer enough to warrant paying for it.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

My computer experience and knowledge are limited so I need something that will do it for me and McAfee was recommended by a friend and that is what I have.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

McAfee is very good for antivirus protection. It is expensive yet easy to use. There is no limitation as to how many devices can be used on one account.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

It seems that every computer I get from HP has McAfee on it, the trial period is over then the problems hit. I had the same problem with this computer. I let the trial run out. Then when it did it caused my computer to not have any screen once I got through the startup with my computer. This was what happened to me the last time when I changed the software to another company. This time they warned me I had a day and then I suddenly had slowdowns and many other things happen. Then it just would not put the desktop screen on. Last computer it caused the same thing when I changed the software to different company. This time it didn't even give me a chance.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Overall it's a really good antivirus but tends to drain battery fast and it needs to have a deeper clean on the RAM and storage. Seem I always get a notification of not enough storage to download certain games and apps.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Have used several years without a major mishap yet. One time when I did require tech repair service I thought the fee of $70.00 was too high for a one time problem. Other than that experience has been satisfactory but according to surveys probably not one of the most effective.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I think they are great, I got a virus. Called McAfee and they cleaned it. Got my laptop started and made sure everything worked before they let me go. They took their time, did not rush me or put me on hold multiple times.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I have used the Mcafee Concierge Gold service for several years. Any problems I have encountered have been addressed promptly and thoroughly. One service covers all of my equipment.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I use Windows Defender and McAfee. I am using free versions, therefore I do not get optimum results. I have picked up viruses using AVG and Avast (free versions) as well.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Simple to use, low cost. Works well on both laptops, tablets and smart phone. I've used most of the other brands and truly believe McAfee to be the best.

McAfee expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Founded in 1987, McAfee is a longstanding and trusted name in antivirus software for consumers and business because of how the company has continued to advance products to keep up with a changing industry over the years. Now a part of Intel Security Group, the brand will be eventually be renamed.

• Global threat intelligence: McAfee uses this process, which collects data from millions of sources from around the globe, to offer real-time protection against viruses and other malicious threats.

• Protection for all devices: One McAfee subscription with a 30-day money back guarantee includes antivirus protection for all PCs, Macs, iOS and Android phones and tablets and Android watches. Anti-theft features for mobile devices lock down the device and can locate it when lost or stolen.

• Parental controls: This feature offers filtering and monitoring of what children can access and see when they are online. You’ll have to upgrade to McAfee Total Protection at $89.99 to get parental controls. Two other options cost $79.99 and $59.99, and discounts may be offered for the first year.

• True Key Identity Manager: This is a secure software password vault that is used to log into mobile apps, websites and devices using a combination of facial recognition, fingerprint or devices.

• Home network scanning: McAfee can scan a home Wi-Fi network to detect unprotected devices.

• Best for: Families, businesses and people handling highly sensitive information.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
Shelley Elmblad

Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

McAfee Company Information

1987
2821 Mission College Blvd.
Santa Clara