Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.97/5

McAfee Reviews

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

Don't purchase McAfee. First of all they had a sale of $42 several months ago, so I purchased, but when I went to download and use it, it would not work. I called the company and they said they had to return my $42 and reorder. To this date I don't remember exactly what they said, but I remember it sounding sensible. So, I had to order again, but I never noticed 'til I checked my account a few months later that I was charged $62, now too late to cancel. I know, I know, I should have noticed when I placed it but I assumed it would still be the sale price. So, I was gypped.

Then after I started using it, I noticed my computer slowed to the speed of a slug. After trying several things, I ended up deleting McAfee and everything worked as it should. A few months later I had to reformat my hard drive for other reasons. McAfee was one of those apps I reinstalled. Again, my computer slowed down when the app wasn't even running. After remembering deleting it before, I deleted it again for the last time. I'm so glad to have my computer working right. Oh, their service is in some foreign country and they could not understand what I was trying to say. Bring our jobs back to the states where people can understand us!!! I'm going to be on guard for them scamming me again when I try to cancel.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I purchased a Lenovo All-in-One and a 30 day trial of McAfee was already installed so I decided to give it 30 days to show me it was beneficial. I’ve never needed anything more than the protection you receive from Windows. Everything was fine until the pop-up from McAfee that the trial was over and to purchase the software to keep my computer safe. I declined the purchase and went on with life. I got pop-ups, just like others have posted, usually one to three per day. I declined each purchase. After a few days of that, my computer was running like I was on dial-up. Now, it takes a half hour or better to get on my credit card website, most times it will time-out and I have to start over. I’ve had to pay all my bills on my phone because I just don’t have that kind of time nor patience.

I have deleted all the McAfee crap off my computer and it didn’t make a difference. I have resigned myself to having to take my ONE YEAR OLD computer to the Geek Squad and hope they can help. Just for information purposes, I have Hughes for internet and already paid them 75.00 to check the system and that’s all peachy. The Geek Squad will be another 250.00. I am SO upset. SHAME on Lenovo for partnering with such a terrible company like McAfee.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I initially bought the antivirus package as I trusted McAfee but I decided not to renew as I did not see any significant benefits to paying for it, especially as I had heard of many good free alternatives. Now I've downloaded BitDefender and did a scan only to discover I've had an infected file on my laptop for a whole year with McAfee never notifying me about it. Now I know for sure I made the right choice by not renewing.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

Every year I try to renew my subscription and have problems. My account sign in will accept my password. I purchase the new subscription. When I attempt to download it DOES NOT accept the same password. Technical Support cannot help. They pass me to Sales (for some unknown reason). Sales passes me back to Technical Support. Currently waiting for a callback in 48 hours. I suspect that my subscription has never been working. I have purchased Total Protection for the last few years and have to wonder if it WAS EVER working and was EVER protecting my computer. Shame on me for not checking.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

Bought from a retail store. When I tried to install the download was interrupted by a error message. It gave a code of "0000x1200DS1." Phoned the 1-800 support and told the person who answered what had happen. The first thing he said was that he needed to get access to my computer, so I did. After a dos window open up on my screen and scrolled by he told me that people in my home have been opening spam e-mails. That all the smart devices in my home now had something called Asprox Botnet. He started making a list of how much I was going to have to pay to get rid of it on all my devices. He told me there was nothing I could do myself to get rid of it not even taking the computer repair can fix it, that I would have to go through him to get it fixed.

Then he brought up a old Wikipedia from that this infection can stop files from being loaded and that's why I can't load McAfee. I told him I was not doing anything until I looked in to it and that this whole thing he was doing sounded like a scam. He got very upset told me go ahead look into it but your going to have to call me back if you want to use your computer, and hung up on me. I have looked into it. Asprox has not been around in many years and our computers show do sign of having Asprox, we have never opened a spam e-mail and have always keep windows updated (which is what prevents getting Asprox). The new version Wikipedia says that "While mostly considered inactive since 2015, more recently supposed infection has been used as a scare tactic in tech support scams." So in to the TRASH with McAfee and on to better things

How do I know I can trust these reviews about McAfee?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I've about had it with McAfee blocking my game and causing 100 percent disk usage and causing not responding firestorm viewer, I had to shut off the real time because it was using 100 percent cpu and memory, and if they don't fix these issues, I am going to quit using mcafee, they claim they are protecting my computer, but so far they have dumped things into my registry while I was in the middle of game play and blocked my game plug ins even though I whitelisted them, they even blocked my Dell programs, this is beginning to annoy me, big time.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

McAfee 30 day trial was already loaded on my laptop win I purchased it. The 30 day trial has ended & I get so many Mcafee pop ups that cover 25% of my screen & makes it impossible to read the information on the screen. This company must be so hard up for customers that the only way they can make it impossible for users to see their screens. The problem does not go away if you purchase their product you receive just as many pop-ups trying to get you to upgrade. DON'T BUY THEIR PRODUCT AND AT SOME POINT THEY WILL BE OUT OF BUSINESS.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

My computer is now running like a charm, Mcafee antivirus has been deleted from my computer because I had too many issues, never again will I have this crap antivirus on any of my computers... Stay away.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Last year we reached out to McAfee to let them know that we no longer had the computer with McAfee as we had upgraded and turned the old laptop in to be recycled. McAfee refunded the auto-draft and told us that we would no longer be auto drafted. Fast forward to this year. Got the $128.69 auto draft. I immediately contacted McAfee and told the operator that we no longer had the laptop with McAfee. She argued with me that she could not refund the amount even though my request was within the 60 day refund window. I kept telling her that we did not have any devices that had McAfee. Needless to say, I had to dispute the charge on my credit card. I have no idea what is going to happen now.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Received no antivirus product download (1st year subscription/10 devices)! Contacted customer support, spent an hour & a half on the phone but to no avail. At this point, I'm out $29.99 which has already been drafted from my account, I have no antivirus production & no tech support could help. Only to be told that a supervisor would have to call me back between 2.5 - 3.5 hours. 1 star too many! I wish I would have come here to read the reviews of others comments about their product/service experience before I made the mistake of trying to purchase. Lesson learned!

Not sure about McAfee?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Antivirus Software for you.

McAfee expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Founded in 1987, McAfee is a longstanding and trusted name in antivirus software for consumers and business because of how the company has continued to advance products to keep up with a changing industry over the years. Now a part of Intel Security Group, the brand will be eventually be renamed.

• Global threat intelligence: McAfee uses this process, which collects data from millions of sources from around the globe, to offer real-time protection against viruses and other malicious threats.

• Protection for all devices: One McAfee subscription with a 30-day money back guarantee includes antivirus protection for all PCs, Macs, iOS and Android phones and tablets and Android watches. Anti-theft features for mobile devices lock down the device and can locate it when lost or stolen.

• Parental controls: This feature offers filtering and monitoring of what children can access and see when they are online. You’ll have to upgrade to McAfee Total Protection at $89.99 to get parental controls. Two other options cost $79.99 and $59.99, and discounts may be offered for the first year.

• True Key Identity Manager: This is a secure software password vault that is used to log into mobile apps, websites and devices using a combination of facial recognition, fingerprint or devices.

• Home network scanning: McAfee can scan a home Wi-Fi network to detect unprotected devices.

• Best for: Families, businesses and people handling highly sensitive information.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

McAfee Company Information

1987
            2821 Mission College Blvd.
            Santa Clara