Shop Now
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.34/5

McAfee Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about McAfee?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about McAfee?

Original review: April 3, 2020

I was more than satisfied until I was contacted by this firm in the US telling and showing me how many errors I had in my system and he had me believing him. It is the way he was actually showing me the errors that made me believe him and it cost me $250. He told me not to renew with McAfee because I would not need them anymore. I got to admit that I got suckered.

Original review: April 2, 2020

I've used McAfee's Anti-virus (and internet) software for over 10 years; I trust McAfee to protect the content of my desktop computer. Over the years, viruses and malware have been identified and safely removed from my hard-drives. Nothing more serious has occurred. Having been with them so long, I've also experienced many of their products and updates. I'm always pleased with their clean-and-simple user interface, such that the important functions can easily be performed and reported. Any notifications are appropriate and understandable, so I've never had to contact their support staff. I highly recommend McAfee!

Get buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 28, 2020

I had previously been trying a VPN to help protect along with an antivirus software. Through advertisement I looked into McAfee as a alternative. What drew me was besides the antivirus software it offered a VPN along with it as well as protecting all of my other devices. I think that is a good deal ???. Plus knowing they have been doing this for some time now, the name being associated with computer protection and offering help if something should be of concerned gives me a good feeling of security.

Original review: March 23, 2020

I really like the ease of McAfee. Install and it monitors EVERYTHING!! McAfee notifies me if there is a site I should not visit while I am browsing. I installed it on my laptop and was then able to protect my phone and tablet. I am no longer uneasy about trying to find the end of the internet!!?? Easy peasy. Love it and definitely would recommend!

Original review: March 22, 2020

I never have to worry about my pc getting the Coronavirus or any other virus. When I couldn't download McAfee a real person walked me thru it and it was downloaded. Simple as that. I trust McAfee on all my computers, at home and at work. Thanks McAfee for keeping us safe and virus free. If I find a site that is not secure McAfee will let me know and give me the option to secure it or just exit. Awesome.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

So, when I got my brand new gaming computer, I got a free trial of McAfee. This trial lasted a month, and once it ended McAfee started putting hundreds of pop ups on my computer telling me to renew the product. I had gotten a better Anti-Virus (Norton) and didn't want McAfee anymore so I kept clicking 'Accept Risk' and 'Ok' to all of the pop ups. But yesterday one of these pop ups had only one option I could click: 'Buy Now'. the pop up covered the entire right hand side of my screen, and I had to restart my computer to get rid of it. Furthermore with McAfee, I found out they have been charging me ever since then even though I'm not actually receiving the Anti-Virus Software.

When I questioned the support team, it turned out how just about every other bad review said it was, except with my experience they were denying the fact that they used pop ups as a way to influence people to buy their product. If you ever buy this product, you may as well cancel your card and switch banks because you CAN'T GET A REFUND OR CANCEL THE PAYMENTS! They would try to charge you until you die, and even after that they would take money from your life insurance for a product that you don't receive or need. I hope people actually notice how much they are being charged instead of writing reviews that make the company seem as though it's the best thing since sliced bread. Thanks for reading (if you read the whole thing) and just remember to not sign up for it because it's a downright scam.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

I bought a new computer this time last year. McAfee was installed on it automatically with the purchase. Not something I opted for but I decided to go with it. This morning I woke up to a charge of $128.39 to my bank account. They did now notify me of this renewal fee, "which they say they will do before making a renewal fee charge". I searched for a notification that a pending charge will be made in case I missed it. There isn't one!! Also, I can't make sense of my subscription. I have a computer and a smartphone on it... but when I go into my McAfee subscription it only shows one device, the computer, but when I go into my phone it is there. This is dodgy and confusing. I don't like it... AT ALL AND THIS MAKES ME NOT WANT TO DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

The Mcafee antivirus software was ok, however it was not user friendly in the least. I did not renew and found an unauthorized $127.19 charge to my account. They said I opted for that service. I didn’t.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

Around March of 2020 my computer died. I had purchased a service contract with McAfee in December of 2019. In June of 2020 I purchased a new computer but did not find out until September of 2020 that McAfee's service was not compatible with my new computer. I asked for a refund for the unused portion of my service contract and was basically told to screw off. I have spoken with other people who have paid for services from McAfee and been told that this is very common from them. I would suggest nobody waste their money on any service from McAfee. You will not get the service you pay for.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I received an email about two months BEFORE my subscription was going to expire. I did NOT want to continue with their service. I went into my account and verified that "auto-billing" was turned OFF and yet I received a bill on my card this month for another year. When I called I was read a "script" which didn't address my concerns. After a couple minutes of being deflected and ignored, I hung up. I can not recommend this company based on their fraudulent billing practices.

McAfee author review by Shelley Elmblad

Founded in 1987, McAfee is a longstanding and trusted name in antivirus software for consumers and business because of how the company has continued to advance products to keep up with a changing industry over the years. Now a part of Intel Security Group, the brand will be eventually be renamed.

• Global threat intelligence: McAfee uses this process, which collects data from millions of sources from around the globe, to offer real-time protection against viruses and other malicious threats.

• Protection for all devices: One McAfee subscription with a 30-day money back guarantee includes antivirus protection for all PCs, Macs, iOS and Android phones and tablets and Android watches. Anti-theft features for mobile devices lock down the device and can locate it when lost or stolen.

• Parental controls: This feature offers filtering and monitoring of what children can access and see when they are online. You’ll have to upgrade to McAfee Total Protection at $89.99 to get parental controls. Two other options cost $79.99 and $59.99, and discounts may be offered for the first year.

• True Key Identity Manager: This is a secure software password vault that is used to log into mobile apps, websites and devices using a combination of facial recognition, fingerprint or devices.

• Home network scanning: McAfee can scan a home Wi-Fi network to detect unprotected devices.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

McAfee Company Information

1987
      2821 Mission College Blvd.
      Santa Clara