1.72/5

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

798 McAfee Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 16, 2019

I paid for an antivirus. I went to log in to download it per instructions, and where the link takes you is to pay for the product again. There was nowhere to log in. I went to the homepage, found "My Account" and tried logging in. It said wrong login information so I used Forgot My Password. I clicked the link to change my password on the email and it took me to the page to have to pay for the product again that did not have anywhere with "my account" "login" or any other possible way. I had to go back to the home page and never was able to get into the account, never getting the product. I contacted support and they claimed I never paid but I have proof the funds were deducted from my debit card. I sent a screenshot that I was charged and they said I still had to pay again.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I started my plan in 2015. Now when trying to renew for 2018 I find I have been billed for all these years and have not been covered by McAfee. They only want to refund one year payment. I have had to schedule a second phone call from manager because he never kept first phone call. Very rinky dink business.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I have been trying to get a refund for over 4 months since November last year and have been lied to on numerous occasions that a refund is on its way and nothing then happens. I have been given several different service numbers, been escalated to another department, spoken eventually to a supervisor but nothing has made any difference. I can only assume that they are stealing my money. I would never use them again. They are the worst company.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED! I have been having issues the past couple of weeks. I bought a Roku device and notice in the past week, I can seem to stay connected to internet. I spoke to my service provider. Of course everything is ok. I spoke to the maker of router. They were of no help. Then I spoke to Roku customer service and they actually found several errors dating back over a month. Trojan was in there along with incomplete updates and scans. Several error reports which never showed up on the scans. Myself not being well computer educated... I am now paying a tech form Cisco to go in and remove and fix files for me, $80, which isn't bad, to get everything right but why did I waste my money on McAfee that really should have caught these issues. I'm very disappointed and will steer away from any McAfee products in the future seeing for myself that they failed at what they said they would do!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I had McAfee Total Protection for several years, with the current subscription expiration on 3/13/2019. So today I clicked on their renewal popup and purchased LiveSafe for 2 years, now my McAfee expires 2/11/2021. Lost 1 month of coverage for wanting to be sure I am protected. Instead I feel screwed. WARNING don't get screwed by wanting to be a consumer of their product, don't renew until the last day of your subscription. Read the fine print.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about McAfee?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Recently noticed a monthly charge of 80 dollars being charged to my credit card monthly and has been happening for the last two years. I never authorized this payment as I have one computer and authorized only a payment of 20 dollars which they somehow deemed fit to sneak in an 60 dollars into my monthly charge. This is a lot of money for me to spend and incensed me when I figured out how much they were taking as I never agreed to this charge. When talking to customer service they were eager to refund me for only ONE MONTH because they claim I authorized this fee service (which I very well did not). After they agreed to be oh so kind to refund me a sarcastically generous 80 dollars their customer service rep proceeded to ask me if I wanted to pay a 60 dollar service for 50 percent off.

This was obscene and clearly a calculated script. From the quick response to offer me a one month refund as well as a "how about this service" arm-nudge which I rejected and then canceled my subscription entirely. Based on this interaction it is clear that this isn't the first time McAfee has been called for essentially stealing money as they didn't seem to care about giving a refund or anything else. This company and all its execs are crooked and just here for tech moneys. They do not care about their customers or their service, only money. So save yourself the stress I had and find a better service that isn't full of thieves and is credited. You will be much happier.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I am 83 year retired accountant and not one to make complaints but considering my recent experience I should warn others that they will never be successful with their complaints, no matter how justified their complaints are. In order to prove my points I detail below my recent experience with a level 3 American executive customer service assistant.

"On 2nd January 2019 my 2 years subscription was expiring and I renewed my subscription for 3 years on the same day in the afternoon. Despite my renewal on time I kept on receiving following messages "Your subscription was expired 7 days ago, your subscription was expired 15 days ago etc." I then sent an email to your office in India notifying the above and demanded an apology and appropriate financial compensation for this misleading information. In response to my email for this error they apologized for this error and extended my subscription for 3 months. As they were unable to offer financial compensation they escalated my complaint to Kendrick an executive customer service assistant in USA. Subsequently I received an email from Kendrick with a message he was more than happy to assist me if I respond to his email.

Immediately on receipt of his email I responded his email and he replied me with his offer of extending my subscription for extra 9 months to make a total 12 months which I accepted. After I received an email from Kendrick in which he mentioned I quote "this offer was nothing but a goodwill gesture only, as they have already extended 3 months this is valid." As I did not understand this sentence I contacted your members of staff in India and asked them if they understood this sentence but they were unable to explain to me either. However, they would send an email to Kendrick and I would hear from him. As I have not heard from Kendrick. I sent an email asking him how soon my account would be updated. As of to date he did not bother to respond to my email.

I would like to point out this is a person who is employed by McAfee to support customers to their satisfaction, my question to the management is this the right person to be employed in this responsible position, whose service is denigrating, demeaning and unprofessional and he even does not know how to write proper English. I have no other word but to say I am disgusted.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I'm not one to write complaints but considering my recent experience I feel I should warn others... I ordered their one year clean-up protection for my Mac, roughly $100.00. Upon ordering and being directed to their customer service they proceeded to try and upsell me for more protection. I mentioned I did not want to put out that much money - almost $600.00 if I recall. They then proceeded to drop the price which was about half. I continued to decline but the phone rep kept talking over me and trying to sell me on their product. I repeatedly said, "No, I do not want to put out that much money," but he would not listen to me. I eventually raised my voice so as to have them hear me and I said "no means no"! With that the rep hung up on me. I am now online with my bank reversing the initial charge as this had been a horrible experience and I will never give this company my business again.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I have had LifeSafe for 4 years now. I think the trouble people are having with the auto renewal is they don't realize they turned it on. You have to watch what you are doing when you set up new software. You have to make sure that companies don't sneak things in you don't want. Yes there is one thing that McAfee did to me. I bought my computer from Dell and it came with LifeSafe pre-installed but I didn't realize that it also had another antivirus program with it. So when it renewed I was shocked to see how much cost to renew. I called them right away and yes they tried everything in their power to make keep the subscription for both. You just have to firm and know what you want. Please don't let them push you into something you don't want. All companies try to upsell - it is not just this one. This is how they make their money.

As far as the product goes I HAVE NOT had one virus in four years. I go to sites that they say are dangerous sometimes even knowing the risk. You need keep your software up to date, use settings in your browsers to help out also. Oh and set it up right in the first place for your needs. If you do not know how find someone that can help you. Even if you have to go to YouTube. But other than this I like this software over the other one they use to put on computers all the time. Which I don't think I can name. But with that one I always had problems.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Last year, I bought McAfee antivirus at £31.99 for 1 year protection but I was not aware of that my auto renewal was on and this year on 21 Dec 2018 they charged me £89.99 for another year protection as auto renewal. During that same period they are advertising the same product with 70% discount which is £26.99. I absolutely not happy with this.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Just 1 week ago I purchased the McAfee Total Protection plan for up to 10 devices so I could share the protection with my other devices and my sister. Since I paid and downloaded the product, every single day I get a pop up that my "computer is at risk" that my protection has been used up. This is a personal computer, I do not use it all day every day and even if I did, should my protection expire within a week? My father had McAfee and often asks about pop ups and I tell him that he likely clicked on something or did not update his protection when updates were available. Now I see that he was COMPLETELY correct. It is confusing for anyone to continuously get these pop ups. I highly recommend you go literally ANY OTHER COMPUTER PROTECTION SERVICE.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I would never use or recommend Mcafee. They keep popping up on my screen harassing me, a big nuisance. No consideration or respect for anyone.

They want your money & don't deliver, a lot of complaints on them. I'll be filing a complaint with the proper agencies.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I ordered the software after having looked at a few different companies. Mcafee said that their software would be compatible with my MAC and it was not. I am fairly good with technology and I feel confident in saying that it was not user error and was coming from their end. No big deal really, but it took me over 4 weeks to get a refund. I sent upwards of 5 emails regarding my refund as per the website's instructions and got nowhere. It took a lot of work on my part to get my money back for their defective product. I do not recommend their services.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

These people are thieves! They took my yearly subscription a month in advance. I called and asked for a refund. I was told that since it was still pending, that it would be back in my account in 48 hours. When it did not appear, I called again. I was told by the supervisor Chris that is would actually take 5-7 business days. I was understandably upset, the reason being is that when they took this money out of my account, they overdrafted it and I now owe my bank $200 in overdraft fees. It has not been 8 days and I still have not received my money back, meaning I cannot even deposit a paycheck or it will take some of it for the fees. This is robbery at its finest. I just got off the phone with them again and was told that there is an error with the refund and they will let me know when they can give it back. DO NOT USE THEM!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Denigrating, demeaning and unprofessional service. It took them 4 hours of pushing another product on to me which I did not ask for, I just want to get my service for what I paid for but they were not willing to assist! Shocking shocking shocking experience. I have 3 months left on my so-called protection with McAfee, pls do not buy it. The tech support in Australia is hopeless and insulting. Even the supervisor!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I tried to install McAfee Virus Protection on my old computer. It never installed correctly and slowed my performance. I removed the protection and figured it was gone. McAfee has a default auto renew on this service. I was charged double what my first year cost automatically. The email telling me this charge was going to occur conveniently ended up in my junk email. Called customer service for the company. It is not even McAfee, but a third party company. They tell me it will be $100 to stop service. I told them I will just despite charges with the credit card company for free. He begin raising his voice telling me I can't do this because McAfee is a reputable company. My thoughts after this experience is just the opposite. Stay away!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to honestly and accurately report our experiences as consumers. McAfee Safe Connect is an application that didn't work on my device since April of 2018 day of my subscription, I am being charged despite the fact that the application is not working and they are not willing to refund my account. The lesson here is for USA consumers to stop doing business with any company that is outsourcing their services overseas because, overseas companies are not following USA rules and second, it is NOT secure in every aspects, and finally, why are they sending jobs overseas while people in the USA need jobs and we are giving our money to other people outside USA.

Above all, there is no way to communicate with the original company located here in the USA. Very disappointing for a company like McAfee to be taking consumers hard earned cash and not providing the services they have previously agreed to honor. I am willing to provide additional information in this regard "to who it may concern".

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Malware program has a habit of popping up when shutting down and telling me that something needs fixing but when I try to get it fixed I ALWAYS get a screen trying to sell more Malware. You would think that they could manage to recognize subscribers, other companies do. When I did get through to talk with someone, he was heavily accented and tried to charge me for fixing. I declined his hard sell and fixed the issue myself for 0 cost. I don't even know if he was a McAfee employee. There again, you would think they would have better security!!! If he was an employee I find it despicable that they would try to charge for fixing something that was a simple fix and something I thought Malware prevention was included. All in all, I'm finding the program a FAIL.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I cancelled my subscription with McAfee many years ago, as we were still getting viruses on our home computer and felt the service was not working for us. However, it seems they have an automatic renewal with our bank, and even though you cancel, they will continue to take your money every year until you stop the auto-renewal. In order to do this you need to log into your account, but we have since moved house, changed our computer, and e-mail address, so we haven't been able to even access our account! Customer services are a waste of time, one person says we cancelled in 2013, yet today I have spoken to someone in California, (we live in England) who says there is no record of us canceling.

If we can provide proof that we cancelled, we might be able to get some help from the bank, but McAfee does not have an e-mail address, or postal address, so we would only have been able to cancel on the phone! They told me they would have sent out e-mails 30 days before taking money from our account, but we have never recieved any, and we are unable to access our original e-mail account, so we couldn't have known this was happening. I am unable to see how a company can legitimately take money from anyone without providing a service, and their cust service seem geared up to make things as difficult as possible, leading me to believe that this is all done deliberately. This is their biggest scam of all, check your bank accounts people, and make sure you turn off auto-renewal in your accounts unless you want to be tearing your hair out like myself!!!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Not happy with support. Try to get a refund. The supervisor was supposed to call me. Have not heard a word from him to help me. I would not recommend McAfee to any of my friends. I will never use them again. You get the runaround from them.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Used the product for years. I decided to run a manual scan, only to have the software tell me that my subscription expired six months ago. I was shocked, but figured I got careless. I logged on to my account, which showed the my subscription expires in 2019. And there is no way to contact them. I tried a chat room and heard nothing. They've left me exposed even though I am paid up.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Does anyone know a way to block their ad, I have ad blocker but it still pops up every half-hour? This ad slows my PC. Interrupts whatever app in FB or a game, I sent emails asking then to stop. I will report you to BBB and any other authority I can find. Renew with McAfee LOL!!! In your dreams!! STOP ALREADY!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Anti-virus is OK but has false positive they have done nothing about. Support is very attentive but every call starts as though the problem is new even though it is them calling me - I gave up after months. The biggest problem is the renewal scam. 10 user Total Protect is available on their site for $44 but the renewal is $99! They throw in a "free" tune-up program value $69 but it is a pretty useless me-to product no one would value at $59 and anyway they say it is free. DO NOT auto-renew. They'll more than double the cost!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

This was by far the worst experience I have ever had. From the beginning I had nothing but problems. I could not even get the program to download even past the first step. I contacted Technical Support online, chatted live with people from India (first issue right there). None of the people would read what I wrote, they insisted on remotely accessing my computer and tried doing the simplest and most pointless things to get it to download (turning off my Time Machine Back-up, changing my screen saver) and spending over 2 hours until I had to kick them off my computer because they wouldn't listen to me. I finally asked, on my 3rd call, to have an expert/next level problem solver call me and they said I would have to wait 24-48 hours. I demanded a refund. Do not recommend this company let alone the product.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Went online to buy more anti spam and virus to protect my computer. A sales rep from McAfee said he would fix my problem. He said for $149 dollars he could help me. When he had finished and fixed the issue he stated that I could not pay by credit card that I should send a check instead. This sounded a little odd to me. In about three days later he called me to send a check to him or he stated that he would turn me to a third party for collection. I am in my early 70s with great good credit. I am retired military of 23 years of service to my country. I will not be harassed by a person who can't hardly speak English.

Original review: July 31, 2018

When I tried to renew I was directed to Quantum Technology in India. I thought I was n McAfee customer service. So they wanted to take direct control of my computer. Afterwards they wanted to extort over $300 for a three year subscription plus a browser blocker for even more. I only wanted to renew a $30 subscription. What a scam! Also they wanted another $30 to install the garbage. This company is nothing more than a blood sucking lying leech rip off. Avoid at all costs!

Original review: July 30, 2018

What a load of horse manure! First you buy the software which by the way is now just a code, not a disk you install. The code then says 'invalid'. You are then directed to a customer service representative who gets access to your computer and tells you that a hacker has blocked the installation. You will get some kind of 3 year protection for 399.99!!! Yeah right! Sorry I'm not that gullible. Sucks because I installed McAfee last year with no problem. Luckily I don't store banking info on my computer.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I was told that by purchasing a 3 year subscription for around $300 that it would include Anti-virus software for this term AND TechMaster support for this term. However, I was misinformed by 3 different support persons when deciding and now they tell me that the money only covers anti-virus. This is no real savings since the anti-virus is about a hundred a year. I am very disappointed in McAfee. Additionally, even though, the TechMaster support personnel are good at what they do, they are foreign English speakers and some are difficult to understand. They often do not understand the issues when explained in normal conversational English.

Original review: July 1, 2018

McAfee Billed to New CC W/O Permission. That's right, BEWARE! Even if your credit card information on file with McAfee is inactive or no longer viable (expired), McAfee will retrieve your NEW CC information from Master Card/Visa (others?) and then bill your NEW credit card with a subscription. Customer service at McAfee stated that they have this agreement in place with banks to "protect" their clients and ensure digital security.

My concern is that this policy is predatory and forces unwanted products onto those who may not want or need them. Those caught up in McAfee's CC update policy could easily include individuals who are deceased, unsophisticated, or be providing subscriptions to retired machines/devices. In my case, I was billed for a renewal subscription while reviewing other providers for a possible change. A violation? Tech companies should not have the ability to search for and secure updated credit card information when details on file have expired. In particular, companies should not be allowed to make a charge to a new CC account without the cardholders' permission.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Honestly, McAfee is basically installed by default in most computers regardless of whether or not you want it. Once it expires, there are constant pop ups about renewing it. And deleting it is a whole process that proves this company doesn't care about customer service but only about have customers and keeping them - not because they want to but because getting rid of it is such a hassle. This is a difficulty I have never faced with any other protection company. To delete it, I had to google multiple things and DOWNLOAD a McAfee service to uninstall their OWN service. I literally could not simply uninstall it. This extremely frustrated me and I will never be downloading this service willingly again.

I was extremely disappointed with the fact you had to download a McAfee product simply to delete McAfee completely, it's a waste of time and in my opinion used to make it difficult so that customers keep it because they cant or don't care to go through the process. But I recommend going through the process of deleting it and adding another protection service such as Norton. Anything BUT McAfee.

In the link you need to download to delete McAfee completely, if you go down you will see MCPR tool to download (once again one of the main reasons I will never use this product again, you have to download one of their product to delete all their programs???). I recommend Norton unless you have another company you prefer.

McAfee expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Founded in 1987, McAfee is a longstanding and trusted name in antivirus software for consumers and business because of how the company has continued to advance products to keep up with a changing industry over the years. Now a part of Intel Security Group, the brand will be eventually be renamed.

• Global threat intelligence: McAfee uses this process, which collects data from millions of sources from around the globe, to offer real-time protection against viruses and other malicious threats.

• Protection for all devices: One McAfee subscription with a 30-day money back guarantee includes antivirus protection for all PCs, Macs, iOS and Android phones and tablets and Android watches. Anti-theft features for mobile devices lock down the device and can locate it when lost or stolen.

• Parental controls: This feature offers filtering and monitoring of what children can access and see when they are online. You’ll have to upgrade to McAfee Total Protection at $89.99 to get parental controls. Two other options cost $79.99 and $59.99, and discounts may be offered for the first year.

• True Key Identity Manager: This is a secure software password vault that is used to log into mobile apps, websites and devices using a combination of facial recognition, fingerprint or devices.

• Home network scanning: McAfee can scan a home Wi-Fi network to detect unprotected devices.

• Best for: Families, businesses and people handling highly sensitive information.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
    Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

McAfee Company Information

1987
    2821 Mission College Blvd.
    Santa Clara