Webroot AntiVirus

Compare Antivirus Software

Research top Antivirus Software recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Overall the antivirus was "OK", I had to install additional software such as Malwarebytes to get everything protected. The biggest issue I had with Webroot was that when the time to renew came up, they wanted $80 for renewal, which is insane for any personal software. But then when I went to cancel it since it was on an old computer I was getting rid of, it wouldn't let me, using the steps they had in their email on "How to Cancel". I looked for an online support or phone number to call to find out why but I couldn't find anything. So I kept coming back 2 more times over the 30 day period and was still unable to get the subscription to cancel. Long story short, they tell you can cancel but make it next to impossible to do so, right until the 30 days is up. As soon as they get your money, the instructions worked perfectly. I wonder why?

Easy for anyone to use. Excellent and fast response. Only feature I do not use is their back up, so no comment on that. Everything else you would expect is very quick and very thorough. Good value for the money. Efficient program. User friendly. 1000% better than Norton. Never had any sort of failure or problem with this Anti-virus system, going into my 3rd year now. I am a senior with very few computer skills. This system seems to be perfect to keep my computer safe and clean. I formerly used a Norton 360 system which was a never ending problem. There was NO service at all with NORTON! WEBROOT is a sweet dream in comparison.

I had trouble with a new subscription and a customer service agent fixed the trouble in a few minutes. Never had any trouble after that. Virus definitions are always up to date and a cloud based service use almost no PC resources. Never had a infection that wasn't detected. I never have to worry about websites, transactions or security EVER! If you search for Webroot deals there are usually coupons or offers to get you started.

Being in IT, I have tried all the latest anti-virus applications. All have their issues and many are just bloatware. Looking at you McAfee. I have no problem recommending this to my friends and family. It holds up well with the various anti-virus testing that av-comparatives which is trusted review for the industry.

I purchased WebRoot for my daughter's new computer because the antivirus software seems to get good reviews. When we inserted the WebRoot CD into the computer, nothing happened. There was no response of any kind. The instructions don't include any customer support phone number. Just a support email address. Uh oh. So I googled the WebRoot customer service phone number. I got a woman with a British accent who did nothing to address the issue. She asked for my email address and said someone would get back to me by email. Uh oh again. No one got back to me by email after several hours, so I emailed customer service myself. The next day, I got a canned email response that was a repeat of the instruction manual. None of which applied to the problem of the CD not working at all. WebRoot customer service is non existent. The product doesn't work at all. WebRoot and its customer service are completely useless.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Webroot AntiVirus?

I had been using Norton's antivirus program for 3 years, which cost about $60 per year. A few months ago, my laptop became infected with Conduit and Mystart browser hijackers, and Norton failed to recognize/remove them. I unwittingly downloaded a "free" removal program from SpyHunter, it counteracted with Norton and crashed my computer. Norton not only cost me the subscription fee, it cost $500 for my laptop, all my irreplaceable pictures, documents and songs! Yesterday, after my Norton subscription expired, I purchased Webroot (for 3 computers) at Wal-Mart for $19.99. I installed it on my daughter's laptop, and it removed Conduit after only a few seconds! I am thrilled with Webroot, and will be a loyal customer from now on!

I had been using Webroot spy sweeper and anti-virus programs for over a year. Webroot periodically asked me to update my spy sweeper program with a newer version. When I did this due to problems with installing the new update I lost all anti-virus and spy sweeper protection. I immediately emailed Webroot support which Webroot's homepage promises a response within 1-2 days. I waited for a response for 4-5 days.

I followed the letter of what the support team instructed me to do but within 7 days my computer system crashed. I don't know if this is due to an attack/virus my computer contracted while I was waiting for Webroot to provide its promised support or if it was due to Webroot's new update clashing with other programs previously on my computer and bringing down the system or other causes. Regardless, at the very least Webroot did not deliver on its promised prompt tech. support. I initially chose Webroot since it had high ratings in consumer rating information. These high ratings appear to be unfounded and I am writing on the off chance that this may help others not choose this product.

On 11/22/2002 I purchased through AOL Direct Cache & cookie 4.5 Invoice # **. Now I am told this is out of date by E-Mail from customersupport@webroot.com. I would like to know why you would let me install outdated programs. And what AOL is willing to do to fix this problem and keep a long time AOL user happy.

Expert Review

Shelley ElmbladFinancial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.    More about Shelley→

Webroot Inc. is the largest private company that provides Internet security for individuals and businesses. Founded in Boulder, CO, in 1997 with offices around the world, over 7 million consumers, 1.5 million business users and 1.3 million mobile users are protected by Webroot.

• Home security: Home antivirus software is offered for PC, Mac, and Android and iOS tablets and smartphones. Prices range from $19.99 to 79.99, but those prices are frequently discounted. Webroot offers a 70-day money back guarantee, longer than most competitors.
  • Webroot Infrared: This multi-layered protection engine intelligently adapts to your changing security needs while identifying suspicious files and handling malware activity before it harms your system.
  • Enterprise level protection: Webroot's high-end, sophisticated security offers enterprise level systems and security vendors threat intelligence that is accurate and safe.
  • Business solutions: Endpoint Protection is antivirus and security software for Servers, VMs, PC, Mac, Android and iOS devices in small to medium business. Endpoint protects from infections and data theft without sacrificing network performance.
  • Identity Shield: This financial and identity theft prevention feature protects your passwords, credit card numbers and other personal data against theft by keyloggers and other malware attacks. Anti-ransomware is also included in the software.
  • Best for Individuals, families, people handling highly sensitive information and businesses.

Compare Antivirus Software