4.08/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Webroot is an award-winning cybersecurity company with over ten years of experience in threat intelligence services. Webroot’s cloud-based program stops millions of threats in real time to help protect your business, and customers. They offer the smarter services, multi-vector protection and superior resources you need to take control of your business and grow.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

211 Webroot AntiVirus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I renewed my subscription by buying a new keycode and adding it to my account. Been doing that for years with no issues. But the last time I did that all my saved passwords in the password management got deleted. Apparently 'cause the last keycode didn't get renewed within 45 days and didn't care that I had an active keycode subscription still on the account. I contacted support and their resolution? Disconnect from the internet and export the passwords by downloading and saving it to cvs file... um... "disconnect" from the internet and "download" a file that apparently is empty 'cause they deleted it? Did the laws of physics change or did Webroot hire the dumbest IT people they can find? Thanks, now I have to recover usernames and passwords from hundreds of sites I've accumulated for years.

Hello Travis,

As a matter of data security and privacy, we only keep passwords for 45 days after the associated keycode expires. You were using a keycode and instead of renewing, purchased another keycode. Because of this, the associated keycode expired, passed 45 days, the data was purged after this. We don't want to keep data around forever, especially sensitive info like that. As for the CSV method, our support team was attempting to help you recover what was lost from your web browser.

Lara - Webroot Community Team

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Wouldn't install on new CP. They told me it was a Trojan virus on my IP address and told me I can't fix it or get a new one but he said I could pay 250 to fix it. He insisted over and over that I should pay 250 otherwise I cannot download Webroot. Well I Googled it and it took 30 secs to get new IP address and voila. I had a new IP and Webroot was able to download. Thanks again shady agent in India.

Hello Trepp,

Sounds like you spoke with a tech support scammer, see here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Understanding-Tech-Support-Scams/ta-p/319696

For our real support, we can be reached at 1-866-612-4227 and it doesn't cost anything.

Lara - Webroot Community Team

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Purchased the $29.99 Webroot AntiVirus then cancelled the auto-renewal on Aug 30, a month before the my subscription ends and not only I was charged for auto-renewal but I was charged for the most expensive subscription at $79.99.

Webroot AntiVirus response
We are sorry to hear about your experience. If you call our sales team at 1-866-612-4268 they will be happy to get this resolved for you.

Sincerely, Webroot Community Support Team

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Apparently it's time to renew my subscription. Unfortunately, Webroot has locked my computer. I either have to renew or uninstall. Problem is the reviews online say if you uninstall it shuts off your internet and creates other problems. I can't research it any further because it will not allow me to use ANY program or search engine. Very poor marketing gimmick. Makes me lose any trust I may have had in them.

Webroot AntiVirus response
This is not a practice that we engage in, so there is either something wrong with the installation or another program interfering. We highly recommend that you call our support team at 1-866-612-4227 and they will be happy to assist you and get your machine back to normal.

Sincerely, Webroot Community Support Team

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I was working on an incident response case involving possible attacker on keyboard - environment infiltration was a possibility. We quietly deployed an EDR agent from third party Vendor and Webroot had no problems with it. 3 days in the investigation the EDR triggers an agent update and webroot decides that the EDR is malware and wipes out the entire install base for ** and giggles. We lost our ability to interact with the endpoints plus 4 days of telemetry. DO NOT use Webroot if you use software from small vendors in your shop. It was my mistake for not setting up exclusions in the first place but we use the same agent for many other configurations - Windows Defender, Eset, McAfee all of them have enough brains to figure out that we have our solution rolling in the background and fundamentally never mess with it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Webroot AntiVirus?

Original review: July 17, 2018

I have had Webroot since 2014 and it came with my new computer then thru Best Buy also! I am totally satisfied with this product and would not use any other! Used to use Norton but thought I would give Webroot a try and have used it every year since then! Easy to use and easy to install. Have not had to worry about viruses and attacks! Totally great product and their support is unbeatable! Keep up the good work Webroot!

Original review: July 4, 2018

I first dealt with WebRoot many years ago back in 2008 and back then they were a very reputable company. I could count on them to do the right things, to protect my computer. Now it is more of an invasion. After I downloaded the latest version of WebRoot it kept wanting me to open up my phone to its intrusive searches telling me I had all of these problems that needed to be "fixed." The issue and the thing that I could not believe, is that WebRoot had not run one scan, so how could they possibly know that I/my phone had any kind of problem?

I also keep a second virus protection program on my phone and after seeing what WebRoot reported I ran a scan which by the way is set up to run every hour. The report I received back is that out of 212 files on my phone 212 were reported to be clean and without viruses. This reminds me of when that company that was selling bogus virus protection programs "Cleaner something, and threatened people with the blue screen of death." This is what WebRoot is reminding me of and the path they are taking. It seems to be they have now began to rely on their past reputation to get them into the future. While their development department tries to create something viable, and sustainable that's worthwhile for the company.

Their problem is they do not have the talent so they are resorting to scare tactics and intimidations like the ones that I received. This scares people into an unnecessary upgrade in which they are forced to pay for, while WebRoot does no actual work. The public they serve is completely unaware that they are being duped. Those of us who do catch on, we delete their programs. I would hope that more of them would report WebRoot to the Consumer Affairs.

Hello Nelson,

I can assure you that Webroot does still work just as well (if not better) as the version you're referencing in 2008. We are not trying to scare anyone with any information, the tools built into our program are designed to advise and inform. To that extent, what you are describing is still not common, I highly recommend reaching out to our support team so we can investigate further and put your mind at ease (still no additional cost). We can be reached at 1-866-612-4227.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Webroot came with the computer I bought at Best Buy. I typically use McAfee but haven't had any complaints about Webroot and haven't wished once that I had gotten the other one. Webroot is Easy to use and there are not a lot of pop ups. I do not have any viruses and have had the computer almost a year. The icons are easy to use and are nicely designed. Works with my computer nicely. It was super easy to install, just go to the website and type in the code and it works! However, Webroot could put out a weekly summary report showing what they removed and when. That would give a better idea of how it's working. I don't even really know it's there because I barely receive notifications. Nevertheless, I would recommend anyone get this. A friend can even use the code you get.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Webroot has software that will automatically scan everything that you already have upon initial installation or originally have. For example any usb sticks, external hard drives, all the drives on your computer, burned CDs it basically can scan everything you own right off the bat. This is a very nice feature because no matter what antivirus you have had before you can already be infected and not know that. The second biggest feature that I like about Webroot Antivirus is that it has a multiple application suite depending on which you get, you can just use it for everything and be done with it. Anti-malware antivirus and I'm pretty sure it detects malicious connections made by programs although I haven't really had to mess with the networking side of things. This means one application does it all at once.

But it should have a very easy way to turn off and on. I don't need to open the application every time I want to do so. I also don't mind having to pick a time or what not but I would like an easy way to turn the whole thing on and off at the touch of a button. I would also like to be able to exclude a lot easier, a lot of the time whenever something is detected it is automatically quarantined, and you have to open up the app figure out what blocked it, and mark it in an exclusion which is a very tedious task if you have just started using the application recently.

Other than that, this is a great piece of software. I have actually worked for these guys and it is above almost all of the other available security software out there on the market today from its inception a long time ago. They have a great team of developers, and security experts that are constantly on top of the virus definitions, the block lists for sites, the known malware and probably follow a million other things I dont know even exist out there on the web looking for vulnerabilities. Also tech support is top notch, it was by far the easiest experience possible for the customer. They offer corporate solutions so you do not have to have to do business with a million different companies when it comes to securing your site and all on premise data. It also is very intuitive and constantly monitoring for everything that could be a risk. I highly recommend it.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Webroot was recommended by my college professor from my A+ class and so far it has served me well. I enjoy the fact that this software does its job and I don't pay anything for it. I am always open to products that are cheap and or free. I have never gotten a virus while using this product. Faster scans would be appreciated though.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Webroot AntiVirus is very easy to use and effective. It's also affordable and allows you to put it up to 3 other devices. And I love the extreme clean that it does. It digs down into hidden files and scans and does a full search after it finds the problems it allows you to kill. And still does a full clean afterwards. Customer service is also very friendly and extremely talented. I loved my experience with it. I choose this antivirus over Kaspersky and will continue to use it for a long time.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Webroot AntiVirus comes with the Geek Squad service, which is great in general as they helped me with computer issues and I have a lot. It also helped me detect malware before they could harm my PC with great damage. However, the looks needs more lively green in it as the green it uses is bland and generic. Overall, my experience with this antivirus software has been very excellent while McAfee has not been good and Norton ended up messing up badly.

Original review: June 17, 2018

It's proactive defense against more than just viruses and ability to catch viruses as well. When Webroot AntiVirus first started out, they only protected against spyware and had a firewall but they've become more complete now. However, I don't love the numbers they put up at independent anti-virus review sites. Those numbers need to be improved. Prices are always something that can be decreased as well.

Hello Barnett,

We believe our prices are very fair for what we offer, and as for the review sites, we have scored quite well on a recent review study done by MRG Effitas: https://www.mrg-effitas.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/MRG-Effitas-2018Q1-Online-Banking.pdf.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I like that while I had this antivirus software, I had fewer pop-up ads and no issues with viruses, whether high or low risk, getting through the software. I also like that I could rely on the software and it was not necessary for me to think about it unless I received an alert, which actually never happened, since Webroot apparently caught everything that came up. And as long as I don't have any issues I am happy with the product. This product satisfied that requirement and I have no complaints. Overall, I had a good experience with this product, which was recommended to me by the Geek Squad at Best Buy. Although I don't have that computer any longer, I would be willing to use Webroot again when I get my replacement.

Original review: June 16, 2018

McAfee causes viruses as I have just bought a new Dell laptop at Sam's Club and one of the first things the tech told my husband and myself was to uninstall the McAfee. On the other hand, Webroot AntiVirus gives great protection and would recommend to anyone who uses a computer on a regular basis. Anyone can install the virus protection and feel reassured to have great success with it, with no complaints and is reasonably cheap. However, it would be nice if it would protect against trojan viruses which seem to be roaming the computer world.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Webroot AntiVirus has good online info and download. It has many good features to protect a computer. It really helps to make America great again. It is a good product and scans efficiently although deep scans could be faster. It takes forever sometimes. Still, it is easy to use and works good. It is also available in CD and is easy to install. The price was the cheapest on the shelf at the local Walmart located in the town over. And I like the name of product. Also, the quality is good for the overall price.

Original review: June 15, 2018

It was recommended by a Best Buy salesman when I purchased my mother's Sony VAIO laptop. Webroot had a low local imprint on the computer meaning the software itself did not take too much space on the computer. The software was always up to date using cloud technologies to update virus definitions. On the other hand, I wish they'd make a basic version that is free and comparable to Avast's free version. Avast provides completely free decent protection while Webroot charges for the continual use of its product. But the overall experience was good and simple.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Webroot AntiVirus was advertised as one of the best, and so far my computer works very well. This product delivers and does not disappoint. It is simple and fast, and very efficient with keeping my computer clean of viruses. It is the best product for me. I would recommend this product to my friends and family and I will continue to use as a loyal customer.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Webroot AntiVirus did the job that it said it would - detected and removed threats. Scans were very quick and just took a few minutes. Cost was minimal for me as my son had a multi-device license. I liked the software. However, my pc at the time that I used Webroot ran slower and I was never able to get it to run faster. Pc tended to freeze up and had to be shut down and restarted.

Hello Marion,

This could very well be a hardware related issue, however I would still recommend reaching out to our support team so that we can see if there is anything we can do to remedy the issue. We can be reached at 1-866-612-4227.

Original review: June 14, 2018

The software was too easy to use, and offer different types of design. Also, the software offer me the opportunity to fight off virus. However, I would want to change the price and offer it free to use not on a trial basis. If they offer at a lower price then more people might be able to afford it. Still, my overall experience was very good and interesting.

Original review: June 14, 2018

It is very effective and provides strong protection against many viruses that are out there that could pose as serious threat to the breath of my computer. I tried others and they did not seem to clean my computer good enough so I choose Webroot so I think it was a good choice. But it should not be so expensive and scans could go faster then I would be happier.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I purchased a new computer and I agreed to give the software a try and have had no issues since I purchased the computer and renewing my monthly coverage. The software has proven it is good and trustworthy over other software programs that did not do what they say they were going to do. The features I like about the software are the quick scans that are conducted at a fast thorough pace and the devices I can have connected to the software.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Webroot does not require a lot of maintenance for it to run properly. It scans and does not interrupt anything I am trying to do on my computer. When it needs to be renewed, it notifies me quickly, so my anti-virus protection does not lapse. I have used it for years and have never had a problem with it. I chose this software because of how simple it is to use. There were only a few different types of coverage, so it was easy for me to choose which one I needed for my computer.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Webroot AntiVirus was recommended by an IT person and I have used it ever since without issue. Works well on all computers. Easy to use even for my parents in their nineties. It's effective and affordable. They're helpful, quick to respond when have a question and able to explain so I can understand. However, can only use on 5 computers otherwise have to purchase another license, would like the license to last for the life of the computer so don't have to renew all the time. Also, would like it to be more affordable. And I wish I didn't have to have any software but definitely need one in this day and age. Nevertheless, I have recommended it to others too and all who I know that use it like it.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Webroot was recommended by a girl who worked at Walmart whose bf was a software programmer. It is good for users who use the internet a lot. It does automatic scans which is good because I'd forget otherwise. They rarely bother me until it's time to renew. I have used this for several yrs and I keep renewing it. I usually renew one yr at a time. There are usually specials when it comes time for me to renew that I will gladly take advantage of. They could always come down on the price some though. Otherwise it's actually worth the price. I feel secure.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Webroot has fairly good reviews, though I was a bit nervous about its Cloud involvement. Sometimes, I'm not sure what is going on unless I click on it. Also, there is a feature that may interfere with my FF browser, but I'm not sure if it does, or not. But overall, Webroot has worked out pretty well. It doesn't require much memory, and it runs seamlessly in the background. It is a good Antivirus program, and it's easy to use. It is also fairly inexpensive, and does not include bloatware.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I use Webroot because it's provided by Best Buy's Geek Squad. They are responsible for making sure my computer stays protected so I am confident that Webroot's the best and that it will take care of any problems! I purchased the protection agreement when I bought my most recent computer from BB. I like that Webroot scans my computer in the wee hours of the morning on a regular basis to be sure there's nothing wrong. It also scans when there appears to be something suspicious.

Original review: June 10, 2018

My experience has been quite positive with the Webroot antivirus software. It was the number one recommendation given to me by Best Buy's Geek Squad. This is the 2nd computer that I've used this software, and, to date, there have not been any problems. I like the Webroot antivirus software because it ease to install and I also like its seemingly non present state that jumps to life if any kind of threat arises. It quickly posts a notice and begins to perform a threat removal.

Original review: June 10, 2018

It's affordable and efficient for the price. I also like that it scans constantly in the background. It warns me about all the issues that a website can cause and do to my computer. I also feel that this is one of the best programs I've used besides Norton antivirus. I also like how fast it scans and the removal of threat time is also quick.

Webroot AntiVirus is a product I'd definitely recommend to others and I foresee being a app that everyone will talk about. I like that this is the supported brand recommended by Geek Squad when you first buy a computer and have them help you set it up. I will continue to use this service as long as I have a computer and would be highly upset if it were to ever not be available no more. I've had it now for over a year and I'm highly satisfied and would not consider going back to the other programs I was using before. I love this program and I see this antivirus being under the top 5 list.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Webroot is unique and efficient. I like that it is innovative with the very newest software, effectively scans for all virus, and very high quality for the price paid for the product. It works great at what it is intended for.

Webroot AntiVirus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Webroot Inc. is the largest private company that provides Internet security for individuals and businesses. Founded in Boulder, CO, in 1997 with offices around the world, over 7 million consumers, 1.5 million business users and 1.3 million mobile users are protected by Webroot.

• Home security: Home antivirus software is offered for PC, Mac, and Android and iOS tablets and smartphones. Prices range from $19.99 to 79.99, but those prices are frequently discounted. Webroot offers a 70-day money back guarantee, longer than most competitors.

• Webroot Infrared: This multi-layered protection engine intelligently adapts to your changing security needs while identifying suspicious files and handling malware activity before it harms your system.

• Enterprise level protection: Webroot's high-end, sophisticated security offers enterprise level systems and security vendors threat intelligence that is accurate and safe.

• Business solutions: Endpoint Protection is antivirus and security software for Servers, VMs, PC, Mac, Android and iOS devices in small to medium business. Endpoint protects from infections and data theft without sacrificing network performance.

• Identity Shield: This financial and identity theft prevention feature protects your passwords, credit card numbers and other personal data against theft by keyloggers and other malware attacks. Anti-ransomware is also included in the software.

• Best for: Individuals, families, people handling highly sensitive information and businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Webroot AntiVirus Company Information