3.28/5

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Webroot AntiVirus

Webroot is an award-winning cybersecurity company with over ten years of experience in threat intelligence services. Webroot’s cloud-based program stops millions of threats in real time to help protect your business, and customers. They offer the smarter services, multi-vector protection and superior resources you need to take control of your business and grow.

220 Webroot AntiVirus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: April 18, 2019

Webroot charged me an unauthorized two charges of $59.99 which they stole directly out of my PayPal. When I complained and contacted them they refunded one charge but refuse to refund the other. When I call, they keep transferring me back to the main menu and do so over and over again until the system hangs up. When I email they won’t accept me giving them the PayPal transaction IDs or even screenshots of the charges. I am furious. They are liars and cheat people out of money. I have been fighting for my refund for 6 days now to no avail.

Hello Natasha,

I would like to resolve this for you. Would you mind sending me an email with your transaction details so I can locate the order number?

Lara - Webroot Community Team

Original review: March 31, 2019

I am getting ready to renew Webroot (the 5 license SecureAnywhere). I have it for almost 2 years now on two laptops and two desktops. It was a difficult choice to transition from Norton AV that I used for many years but the Symantec overhead was slowing down my computer too much. Webroot does not seem to slow down my home network or computers. I do not use it on my iPhone though - those app ratings seem pretty low. I have no complaints on the desktop, laptops or robust home network. Caveat: I have not had any need to use customer service for technical issues so am unable to comment either pro or con on their customer service, sorry.

I did contact Best Buy when I wanted to upgrade after a year at the initial subscription. That sales inquiry, while every one was polite, was frustrating. I bought the laptop and Webroot from Best Buy initially... but they sent me to Geek Squad but GS doesn't service the Webroot so they sent me to someone else who sent me to someone else who got me to Webroot Sales who was unable to upgrade my Webroot subscription because it was through Best Buy... but did open a totally new account at the upgraded subscription I wanted and facilitated a partial refund of the old account through Best Buy. Whew!!! There's half a day spent on the phone. That was the only problem I had, though. Just a sales issue, but it was challenging.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I purchased a key on Monday, March 11, 2019. I had an issue with getting the key to work and let me download. I called and spoke to Andrew in tech support, he walked me right through the process. It was my lack of sleep while traveling that I didn't follow the prompts as instructed. It loaded and was working much faster, burning much less background resources than McAfee. I had another issue unrelated to their software where after doing the Dell updates that mangled my OS. I called tech support again and spoke to Hunter, then Josh. They stayed on the line with me for quite a spell, fixing my issue in safe mode. I only wish my Admin were as adept in solving issues and providing solutions. Thanks so much.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I've had Webroot SecureAnywhere since May 2014. I never had to contact them for service until today 3-5-2019 and only because I needed to add my new laptop to my existing account. This has proven to be one of the worst experiences that I have had with a company to whom I was paying for service. On a call into their 800#, I pressed the '2' for Consumer Service Support and it played a recording that directed me to use their online support. The online support wasn't working for me so this is why I called to speak with a Tech.

I found another 800# for them and it gave me a live person, who was only directing calls. I was transferred to speak with a Tech but when they supposedly answered, the call mysteriously cut off. I had tried using my KEYCODE to get into my account to add the new laptop; ONE time it let me in only for me to discover that the account shows that I had NO or '0' devices being protected. I tried to download the product again and again and again but NOTHING worked. Oh and I did try the online CHAT, which just sent me on a wild goose chase. I know how to handle this... In 47 days my product coverage is up for renewal... NOT!!!

Hello Janet,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. If you are willing to do so, please send me an email so I can investigate this further. I can be reached at wcommunity@webroot.com. And again, I am sorry that you have had this experience.

Lara - Webroot Community Team

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

A previous review stated, "Customer service is also very friendly and extremely talented." That is nothing but ** and is doubtless planted by a Webroot shill. First of all, if you try to buy one year's worth of anti-virus coverage for $29.99, they will instead charge your credit card over $80.00! BAIT AND SWITCH IS ILLEGAL!!! If you try to dispute the charge, they will continue to screw you over by refusing to speak with you, send you to dead end voicemails, and using their automated voice messaging system to just terminate your phone calls. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!

Hello,

Would you mind contacting me directly so I can investigate this? I can be reached via email.

Lara - Webroot Community Team

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Webroot AntiVirus?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I didn't renew my Webroot Antivirus. I was planning on renewing it over the weekend but before I could my computer stopped working. My neighbor (Geek Squad ordinaire) helped me troubleshoot. Within 30 seconds of rebooting something was kicking off 1000s of processes and slowing my computer to a crawl. Working in safe mode he determined it was Webroot. Uninstalling the program solved the problem. Not cool Webroot. You shouldn't impersonate a virus to cause us to renew.

Hello Melanie,

It sounds like SecureAnywhere may not be functioning properly. The best course of action would be to contact our Support Team by submitting a ticket. They will be able to assist you to make sure that the software is working correctly.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Purchased total protection for 5, used on only two. One of them got infected and started getting slow, slower, and now it won't even boot. Got no help from Webroot, called and left messages via emails. The PC is now useless. Immediately went back to my old provider (McAfee) to save the other PC. Still have not heard from Webroot, however, got emails for renewal...which I'll cancel. Stay away from this product. I am a current customer and my review is based on my experience, giving one star, which it does not deserve.

Hello,

If you feel that your PC has been infected with a virus that is not being detected we recommend that you open a support ticket so one of our threat research specialists can investigate and make sure that everything is set up correctly. We offer free virus removal for all of our customers, as well as rollback and remediation to revert any unwanted changes made by malware, so if anything is amiss our team will help you resolve the issue shortly.

Lara - Webroot Community Team

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

After my Webroot subscription expired the program slowed down my computer to the point it was no longer starting up or running. I was also not able to renew the subscription because of it. I tried all kinds of ways to troubleshoot, however only after I uninstalled Webroot in safe mode was I able to use my computer again. I will never again buy this program.

Hello Tina,

What you are describing is very uncommon, would you mind reaching out to our support team so we can investigate further? We can be reached at 1-866-612-4227.

Lara - Webroot Community Team

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I recently purchased a new iMac at Best Buy to replace my old iMac 2013 that was running Webroot Secure Anywhere and which was installed on my 2013 iMac at Best Buy. I brought the new iMac home and started the process of transferring everything from the old to the new iMac. The exchange was flawless with the exception of Webroot now interfering with my ability to operate my new iMac. About every 30 seconds, Webroot (which now WAS NOT protecting my new iMac) kept interrupting me on my computer regardless of if I was on my wifi or not. I finally had to go through a long process at home to uninstall it.

I sent an email to their support address. I got a response with what looked like a password, but no link to use it on. I went to their website through an internet search and there is NOTHING there that allows a customer to reinstall their product. Some "support." Thanks Webroot for the lackluster help and your abysmal product for my iMac. I'll be going back to Best Buy to see what other products they can install on my iMac.

Hello,

Thank you very much for your feedback. These concerns are best addressed by one of our tech support agents. We recommend that you contact our support team so that we can assist you further: https://www.webroot.com/us/en/support/contact.

Lara - Webroot Community Team

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I renewed my subscription by buying a new keycode and adding it to my account. Been doing that for years with no issues. But the last time I did that all my saved passwords in the password management got deleted. Apparently 'cause the last keycode didn't get renewed within 45 days and didn't care that I had an active keycode subscription still on the account. I contacted support and their resolution? Disconnect from the internet and export the passwords by downloading and saving it to cvs file... um... "disconnect" from the internet and "download" a file that apparently is empty 'cause they deleted it? Did the laws of physics change or did Webroot hire the dumbest IT people they can find? Thanks, now I have to recover usernames and passwords from hundreds of sites I've accumulated for years.

Hello Travis,

As a matter of data security and privacy, we only keep passwords for 45 days after the associated keycode expires. You were using a keycode and instead of renewing, purchased another keycode. Because of this, the associated keycode expired, passed 45 days, the data was purged after this. We don't want to keep data around forever, especially sensitive info like that. As for the CSV method, our support team was attempting to help you recover what was lost from your web browser.

Lara - Webroot Community Team

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Wouldn't install on new CP. They told me it was a Trojan virus on my IP address and told me I can't fix it or get a new one but he said I could pay 250 to fix it. He insisted over and over that I should pay 250 otherwise I cannot download Webroot. Well I Googled it and it took 30 secs to get new IP address and voila. I had a new IP and Webroot was able to download. Thanks again shady agent in India.

Hello Trepp,

Sounds like you spoke with a tech support scammer, see here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Understanding-Tech-Support-Scams/ta-p/319696

For our real support, we can be reached at 1-866-612-4227 and it doesn't cost anything.

Lara - Webroot Community Team

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Purchased the $29.99 Webroot AntiVirus then cancelled the auto-renewal on Aug 30, a month before the my subscription ends and not only I was charged for auto-renewal but I was charged for the most expensive subscription at $79.99.

Webroot AntiVirus response
    We are sorry to hear about your experience. If you call our sales team at 1-866-612-4268 they will be happy to get this resolved for you.

Sincerely, Webroot Community Support Team

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Apparently it's time to renew my subscription. Unfortunately, Webroot has locked my computer. I either have to renew or uninstall. Problem is the reviews online say if you uninstall it shuts off your internet and creates other problems. I can't research it any further because it will not allow me to use ANY program or search engine. Very poor marketing gimmick. Makes me lose any trust I may have had in them.

Webroot AntiVirus response
    This is not a practice that we engage in, so there is either something wrong with the installation or another program interfering. We highly recommend that you call our support team at 1-866-612-4227 and they will be happy to assist you and get your machine back to normal.

Sincerely, Webroot Community Support Team

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I was working on an incident response case involving possible attacker on keyboard - environment infiltration was a possibility. We quietly deployed an EDR agent from third party Vendor and Webroot had no problems with it. 3 days in the investigation the EDR triggers an agent update and webroot decides that the EDR is malware and wipes out the entire install base for ** and giggles. We lost our ability to interact with the endpoints plus 4 days of telemetry. DO NOT use Webroot if you use software from small vendors in your shop. It was my mistake for not setting up exclusions in the first place but we use the same agent for many other configurations - Windows Defender, Eset, McAfee all of them have enough brains to figure out that we have our solution rolling in the background and fundamentally never mess with it.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Yesterday, July 16, 2018, I opened a request to "fix" several attempts to access my password; MISTAKE. I watched, horrified, as my apps and firewall were deleted; Webroot agent Alex entered my screen because my Webroot security "flagged" this as "suspicious activity". To summarize a long frustrating day that followed this agent used his incredible patience with me to repair the damage done by intrusion. PLUS he installed a very thorough security system leaving me with visual instruction on its purpose and use. I am so thankful I had Webroot, this "guard" on my computer and agent Alex ** who worked tirelessly with me. Awesome. Grateful.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I have had Webroot since 2014 and it came with my new computer then thru Best Buy also! I am totally satisfied with this product and would not use any other! Used to use Norton but thought I would give Webroot a try and have used it every year since then! Easy to use and easy to install. Have not had to worry about viruses and attacks! Totally great product and their support is unbeatable! Keep up the good work Webroot!

Original review: July 4, 2018

I first dealt with WebRoot many years ago back in 2008 and back then they were a very reputable company. I could count on them to do the right things, to protect my computer. Now it is more of an invasion. After I downloaded the latest version of WebRoot it kept wanting me to open up my phone to its intrusive searches telling me I had all of these problems that needed to be "fixed." The issue and the thing that I could not believe, is that WebRoot had not run one scan, so how could they possibly know that I/my phone had any kind of problem?

I also keep a second virus protection program on my phone and after seeing what WebRoot reported I ran a scan which by the way is set up to run every hour. The report I received back is that out of 212 files on my phone 212 were reported to be clean and without viruses. This reminds me of when that company that was selling bogus virus protection programs "Cleaner something, and threatened people with the blue screen of death." This is what WebRoot is reminding me of and the path they are taking. It seems to be they have now began to rely on their past reputation to get them into the future. While their development department tries to create something viable, and sustainable that's worthwhile for the company.

Their problem is they do not have the talent so they are resorting to scare tactics and intimidations like the ones that I received. This scares people into an unnecessary upgrade in which they are forced to pay for, while WebRoot does no actual work. The public they serve is completely unaware that they are being duped. Those of us who do catch on, we delete their programs. I would hope that more of them would report WebRoot to the Consumer Affairs.

Hello Nelson,

I can assure you that Webroot does still work just as well (if not better) as the version you're referencing in 2008. We are not trying to scare anyone with any information, the tools built into our program are designed to advise and inform. To that extent, what you are describing is still not common, I highly recommend reaching out to our support team so we can investigate further and put your mind at ease (still no additional cost). We can be reached at 1-866-612-4227.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Webroot came with the computer I bought at Best Buy. I typically use McAfee but haven't had any complaints about Webroot and haven't wished once that I had gotten the other one. Webroot is Easy to use and there are not a lot of pop ups. I do not have any viruses and have had the computer almost a year. The icons are easy to use and are nicely designed. Works with my computer nicely. It was super easy to install, just go to the website and type in the code and it works! However, Webroot could put out a weekly summary report showing what they removed and when. That would give a better idea of how it's working. I don't even really know it's there because I barely receive notifications. Nevertheless, I would recommend anyone get this. A friend can even use the code you get.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Webroot has software that will automatically scan everything that you already have upon initial installation or originally have. For example any usb sticks, external hard drives, all the drives on your computer, burned CDs it basically can scan everything you own right off the bat. This is a very nice feature because no matter what antivirus you have had before you can already be infected and not know that. The second biggest feature that I like about Webroot Antivirus is that it has a multiple application suite depending on which you get, you can just use it for everything and be done with it. Anti-malware antivirus and I'm pretty sure it detects malicious connections made by programs although I haven't really had to mess with the networking side of things. This means one application does it all at once.

But it should have a very easy way to turn off and on. I don't need to open the application every time I want to do so. I also don't mind having to pick a time or what not but I would like an easy way to turn the whole thing on and off at the touch of a button. I would also like to be able to exclude a lot easier, a lot of the time whenever something is detected it is automatically quarantined, and you have to open up the app figure out what blocked it, and mark it in an exclusion which is a very tedious task if you have just started using the application recently.

Other than that, this is a great piece of software. I have actually worked for these guys and it is above almost all of the other available security software out there on the market today from its inception a long time ago. They have a great team of developers, and security experts that are constantly on top of the virus definitions, the block lists for sites, the known malware and probably follow a million other things I dont know even exist out there on the web looking for vulnerabilities. Also tech support is top notch, it was by far the easiest experience possible for the customer. They offer corporate solutions so you do not have to have to do business with a million different companies when it comes to securing your site and all on premise data. It also is very intuitive and constantly monitoring for everything that could be a risk. I highly recommend it.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Webroot was recommended by my college professor from my A+ class and so far it has served me well. I enjoy the fact that this software does its job and I don't pay anything for it. I am always open to products that are cheap and or free. I have never gotten a virus while using this product. Faster scans would be appreciated though.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Webroot AntiVirus is very easy to use and effective. It's also affordable and allows you to put it up to 3 other devices. And I love the extreme clean that it does. It digs down into hidden files and scans and does a full search after it finds the problems it allows you to kill. And still does a full clean afterwards. Customer service is also very friendly and extremely talented. I loved my experience with it. I choose this antivirus over Kaspersky and will continue to use it for a long time.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Webroot AntiVirus comes with the Geek Squad service, which is great in general as they helped me with computer issues and I have a lot. It also helped me detect malware before they could harm my PC with great damage. However, the looks needs more lively green in it as the green it uses is bland and generic. Overall, my experience with this antivirus software has been very excellent while McAfee has not been good and Norton ended up messing up badly.

Original review: June 17, 2018

It's proactive defense against more than just viruses and ability to catch viruses as well. When Webroot AntiVirus first started out, they only protected against spyware and had a firewall but they've become more complete now. However, I don't love the numbers they put up at independent anti-virus review sites. Those numbers need to be improved. Prices are always something that can be decreased as well.

Hello Barnett,

We believe our prices are very fair for what we offer, and as for the review sites, we have scored quite well on a recent review study done by MRG Effitas: https://www.mrg-effitas.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/MRG-Effitas-2018Q1-Online-Banking.pdf.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I like that while I had this antivirus software, I had fewer pop-up ads and no issues with viruses, whether high or low risk, getting through the software. I also like that I could rely on the software and it was not necessary for me to think about it unless I received an alert, which actually never happened, since Webroot apparently caught everything that came up. And as long as I don't have any issues I am happy with the product. This product satisfied that requirement and I have no complaints. Overall, I had a good experience with this product, which was recommended to me by the Geek Squad at Best Buy. Although I don't have that computer any longer, I would be willing to use Webroot again when I get my replacement.

Original review: June 16, 2018

McAfee causes viruses as I have just bought a new Dell laptop at Sam's Club and one of the first things the tech told my husband and myself was to uninstall the McAfee. On the other hand, Webroot AntiVirus gives great protection and would recommend to anyone who uses a computer on a regular basis. Anyone can install the virus protection and feel reassured to have great success with it, with no complaints and is reasonably cheap. However, it would be nice if it would protect against trojan viruses which seem to be roaming the computer world.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Webroot AntiVirus has good online info and download. It has many good features to protect a computer. It really helps to make America great again. It is a good product and scans efficiently although deep scans could be faster. It takes forever sometimes. Still, it is easy to use and works good. It is also available in CD and is easy to install. The price was the cheapest on the shelf at the local Walmart located in the town over. And I like the name of product. Also, the quality is good for the overall price.

Original review: June 15, 2018

It was recommended by a Best Buy salesman when I purchased my mother's Sony VAIO laptop. Webroot had a low local imprint on the computer meaning the software itself did not take too much space on the computer. The software was always up to date using cloud technologies to update virus definitions. On the other hand, I wish they'd make a basic version that is free and comparable to Avast's free version. Avast provides completely free decent protection while Webroot charges for the continual use of its product. But the overall experience was good and simple.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Webroot AntiVirus was advertised as one of the best, and so far my computer works very well. This product delivers and does not disappoint. It is simple and fast, and very efficient with keeping my computer clean of viruses. It is the best product for me. I would recommend this product to my friends and family and I will continue to use as a loyal customer.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Webroot AntiVirus did the job that it said it would - detected and removed threats. Scans were very quick and just took a few minutes. Cost was minimal for me as my son had a multi-device license. I liked the software. However, my pc at the time that I used Webroot ran slower and I was never able to get it to run faster. Pc tended to freeze up and had to be shut down and restarted.

Hello Marion,

This could very well be a hardware related issue, however I would still recommend reaching out to our support team so that we can see if there is anything we can do to remedy the issue. We can be reached at 1-866-612-4227.

Original review: June 14, 2018

The software was too easy to use, and offer different types of design. Also, the software offer me the opportunity to fight off virus. However, I would want to change the price and offer it free to use not on a trial basis. If they offer at a lower price then more people might be able to afford it. Still, my overall experience was very good and interesting.

Webroot AntiVirus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Webroot Inc. is the largest private company that provides Internet security for individuals and businesses. Founded in Boulder, CO, in 1997 with offices around the world, over 7 million consumers, 1.5 million business users and 1.3 million mobile users are protected by Webroot.

• Home security: Home antivirus software is offered for PC, Mac, and Android and iOS tablets and smartphones. Prices range from $19.99 to 79.99, but those prices are frequently discounted. Webroot offers a 70-day money back guarantee, longer than most competitors.

• Webroot Infrared: This multi-layered protection engine intelligently adapts to your changing security needs while identifying suspicious files and handling malware activity before it harms your system.

• Enterprise level protection: Webroot's high-end, sophisticated security offers enterprise level systems and security vendors threat intelligence that is accurate and safe.

• Business solutions: Endpoint Protection is antivirus and security software for Servers, VMs, PC, Mac, Android and iOS devices in small to medium business. Endpoint protects from infections and data theft without sacrificing network performance.

• Identity Shield: This financial and identity theft prevention feature protects your passwords, credit card numbers and other personal data against theft by keyloggers and other malware attacks. Anti-ransomware is also included in the software.

• Best for: Individuals, families, people handling highly sensitive information and businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
    Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Webroot AntiVirus Company Information