1.72/5

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Willoughby, Ohio

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

276 AVG Antivirus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Just tried to install my antivirus. Stated I had to call toll free number. Why? Seems pretty straightforward! Spent 45 minutes with Sam in India, trying to do what I could do. Then he does a little clean up of my computer, which I didn’t ask for, and suddenly states that I have to pay for his services. What the hell? I can install myself. I didn’t need to call! There was never anything said about having to pay for technical support, and what is it always someone in another country that barely speaks English? Very disappointed. Now I don’t know if he has all of my information on my computer files? Thanks a lot AVG!

Hi, Natalie:

Thank you for reaching out! This is highly unusual and we would like to investigate whether it was genuine AVG Support you were instructed to contact as well as from where you purchased/downloaded the software. Please contact us privately with the URL you purchased/downloaded it from, the phone number you were instructed to call, your purchase receipt, and your preferred contact email address so we can work with you directly.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
    Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

After McAfee (in its early days) and having had a virus infection during that time I tried several other Antivirus programs. Several years ago I settled on AVG and haven't had an infection since, but received several warnings about dangerous emails and sites I tried to view. The warnings are inflaming and threatening RED thus IMPOSSIBLE to ignore! And carries a selector stating GET ME OUT OF HERE. Good so far and no functional complaints. The problem starts when I need help with something going above my cranium, then invariably the operator/technician is in the Philippines (I always ask their location or can tell by the time difference... need to ask that also) and usually speaks pretty good English with an accent. After allowing remote access (always watch what they're doing!!!) they load a program that shows lots of RED warnings and then COMES THE SALES pitch.

They CAN remove all these problems but it will cost XXYY amount of dollars but... there are options etc. At such time I usually deny further access, and cancel the phone call. While the AVG program seems to have been keeping my PCs free from attacks, their continuous attempt to get more money out of my pocket is an enormous negative. Surely I understand that companies can only exist if revenue keeps coming in and if an annual subscription does not have sufficient clients the company may cease to exist, simple economics 101, but... if they cannot tell you upfront (or won't) what fixing problems would cost, then why make an annoying PC problem worse by making your person miserable as well? It seems to this 87 yr old a problem that finds its origin in less civility, less integrity and more greed, but then these are just my experiences and opinions expressed.

Hi, Hendrik:

Thank you for reaching out and providing feedback! Notifications for our other great features and products can be adjusted by clicking Menu>Settings>Privacy and unchecking the corresponding boxes.

If you have any additional questions or any issues that need to be addressed, we would be happy to help you directly! Please message us privately with your question or a description of the issue, your AVG account information, full name, and preferred email address.

-AVG Team

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I used their product for many years. However I found out that it is not needed any longer. So I uninstalled the programs (which is very hard to do since they obviously want to avoid that you quit for good). I closed my account with them. A week ago I received an invoice for subscription removal. Very hard to contact them as email address doesn't work, tel no. is wrong... Finally I managed to cancel the subscription and was promised to from now on I have no obligations and my account is closed. Just now I received another statement telling me that my credit card has been debited against Eur 76,99 €. Such practices are just not tolerable!

Hi, Friedrich:

We apologize for any inconvenience. Please contact us privately with your full name, AVG account information, the product in question, an invoice number if you received one, and your preferred contact email address so we can help get this resolved for you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I think the product probably works but talking to people in a foreign country that have trouble with the English language is not helpful and you buy the program and can't figure out how to download it and use it then you try again and they sell it to you again.

Hi, Dwaine:

Thank you for reaching out! We'd like to help get your software up and running for you! Please contact us privately with more information about the issue you're experiencing and we'll be happy to assist!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Updated on 11/02/2018: This response is for educational purposes... AVG responded to my complaint with the same cookie cutter reply they send to everybody else who complains about their products and services. They try very hard to make their scam seem legitimate. And sadly there are millions of vulnerable people needing help that are being exploited by AVG. If you sell me something and then you do something in the background to cause it not to work, and then you want to charge me to undo or fix what you did that caused it not to work to begin with is the definition of a fraudulent transaction ie... SCAM SCAM SCAM!!! Somebody needs to put a stop to this type of internet fraud. Talking adventure.

Original Review: I have been using AVG PC Tuneup for a number of years. It automatically renewed the other day which was fine, because I liked the product and wanted to continue using it. Today I got a message when I tried to open PC Tuneup that it had expired. I called AVG for assistance and Muhammad answered the phone and I allowed him to take control of my computer remotely to troubleshoot the issue. After he went through my computer OS looking at everything and asking me about certain programs that had nothing to do with the issue. He put me on hold for a little while then he informed me that he would need to uninstall AVG PC Tuneup and reinstall it but he was going to have to charge me a $100 tech support fee for doing it.

I told him to shut off his access to my computer immediately. I told him I wanted a complete refund and I would not be using the AVG products anymore. They programmed their software to lock up on purpose so they could charge me more money to fix it. I don't want anything to do with a company that runs scams on ignorant customers who don't know how scams like this work. They sell you something then tell you it will cost you more money to fix it when their install software causes the issue in the first place.

They carefully planned this in advance of the issue they caused and I want everybody to be aware of the upsell scam AVG is running to fix issues they cause themselves in order to milk more money from unsuspecting customers. They try to sell you on it being legitimate service. I have been scammed by other companies who offer internet and computer services who offer one product but continue to find unrelated issues to upcharge you to fix because the initial product they sold you did not cover the additional services they want to charge you for. Total scam - beware of anybody asking for more money after they sell you one product.

Hi, Frank:

We're sorry to hear you had issues with your registration and would like to ensure you were calling genuine AVG support! Please contact us privately with the phone number you called, your AVG account information, full name, and your preferred email address so we can address the registration issue and investigate the support issue.

-AVG Team

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AVG Antivirus?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Recently I found out that for the last two years I had been paying for two identical subscriptions on the same account. I contacted customer support and they told me they could not refund me for the incorrect subscription. I acknowledge that I must have signed up to the two subscriptions. But as they were identical on the same account I don't know (a) how this should be allowed to happen, (b) why I can't be refunded. There is no AVG email address to send details to so I am very disappointed and significantly out of pocket.

Hi, Thomas:

Please contact us privately with your account details, which subscriptions were duplicated, and your preferred contact email address and we'll be happy to help you directly.

-AVG Team

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I'm sorry but this was not helpful at all. I purchased several of your products over the course of 4 months. I have (all year memberships) of mobile security (bought at least two memberships), deep cleaning, VPN, and internet security. I have them spread out on this account and ** and another account. I have multiple accounts as this "thing" changes my password and locks me out.

I haven't been able to utilize the internet security because the computer would not allow the download. I've called your technicians multiple times. They did what they called an "attempt" to download remotely but were too impatient to wait for the download to finish, left, and the download never completed. Needless to say, the malware remained prevalent. I called multiple times again. I mentioned how Norton attempted a rescue but failed and your technician said: "well, if Norton couldn't do it, I'm not sure what you're expecting from us." How embarrassing for AVG. Had he let me finish my sentence without cutting me off he would've been better informed and knew that poor customer service on Norton's part is what deterred successful intervention and resolution to this issue. The same service I've received from AVG thus far.

You can highly recommend but have been nothing but a disappointment and an inconvenience. Your cleaning app is the only product that has served any real purpose or use. Your VPN never connects, your internet security software refuses to download and your technicians are too impatient to provide quality technical assistance. Your mobile security only arms the malware with additional resources as it uses your permissions to inflict more damage my software, property, and devices.

I'm hereby requesting a full refund for all of your products, except the cleaning app. They have been deemed defective, inefficient, and ultimately have contributed to the furthering of damage to my devices, software, and equipment. Since I've purchased your product(s) I have lost three laptops and I'm now on my fourth cell phone which I will be doing a warranty exchange this Friday. I've switched carriers two times and ISPs once (Comcast to Verizon) and you (AVG) who bolstered and store protection, security, and membership have been reticent, absent, and utterly unhelpful. Kindly inform status of refund or proposed plan to facilitate resolution today, please. Thank you.

Hi, Jason:

We're sorry to hear you've had this experience and would like to investigate further, as well as help get your issues resolved. Please contact us privately with your AVG account information, a description of the issues you experienced, the operating system versions on the affected devices, if you had any other antivirus/antimalware software installed on them, the phone number(s) you called to ensure you were speaking with genuine AVG support, and your preferred email address.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

TOTALLY furious with this. In conjunction with PayPal they auto billed me and then when contacted offer me a refund only to send me an email full of jargon. Approximately halfway down the email then ask me to reply to this email should I want a refund. When I did reply and also contacted PayPal AVG will only refund through the method in which the payment was received and then PayPal will charge me to receive the funds back to my account. Long story short I'm being charged by Paypal for a service/product I previously canceled and now being charged to receive money that I never wanted to spend in the first place. Paypal and AVG both crooks!

Hi, Stacey:

While we cannot help with PayPal's policies and are sad to see you go, we would like to help you ensure your subscription is cancelled. Please contact us privately with your AVG account information and we'll be happy to assist you directly.

Resolution response: Sept. 17, 2018

I am writing an amended review of my 8/5 review of AVG. I have been contacted with very good and professional reps from AVG. My subscription fee was refunded and my compliant has been resolved. I also want to point out that in my initial review that I was in a panic mode and had to rely on my mobile phone. I had inadvertently called two bogus fraudulent phone numbers who used the AVG logo. They get away with it, so it's your job to find the genuine company.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I had purchased an AVG tuneup in Dec. 2016 for two years. After 18 months of using the program which I thought was not all that great IG constant reminders every day to upgrade or buy additional protection. OK. I believe it was June of 2018. I used the program for a tune-up and running a scan. I noticed that the scan stayed on 12 percent. So I thought it needed more time, however after 2 hours the scan was still at 12 percent. I proceeded to stop the scan and mouse or keyboard commands were unresponsive. My next step was to shut down the computer which was also unresponsive so I unplugged the power source and waited several minutes and initiated the power. To my surprised after booting up I still was where I left off. I could not even get to a safe mode. I proceeded to contact AVG which became extremely difficult. I eventually called a phone number .

I had to use my smartphone to search. The first number I called I spoke to which seemed like a shady rep. I conveyed my complaint and was told that it would take 24 hrs to be contacted. I moved on to another AVG phone number and this rep was completely useless. Did not listen to me and suggested I contact a local computer repair service. The rep kept repeating that I should allow them to give them access to my computer remotely. I tried to explain that I could not use any commands on my computer. That fell on deaf stupid ears after much frustration and feeling that my computer had been hijacked I hung up and fortunately when I tried to access my computer again I was able to get to a safe mode option. Therefore I was successful in ending the scan . My next step was to uninstall their program.

After that was completed I called a third AVG phone number and got a third incompetent rep. I proceed to cancel my subscription and wanted a refund for the last 6 months of my subscription. The rep replied that was not possible. OK. So I wanted a confirmation e-mail for cancellation and then I realized I had changed my e-mail address since I purchased the subscription in 2016. So I proceeded to request a e-mail address change and was told that they needed to access my computer. Can you believe that access my computer for a e-mail address change?

So I had to call a fourth phone number and finally was able to change my e-mail address because I could not trust this company or whatever they are not to renew my subscription. Of course they would not refund the remaining 6 months left in my subscription. I would advise all to stay clear of AVG avoid this company like an incurable disease. Seems like all they want to do is get access to your computer. This company should not be permitted to do business a complete fraud. My experience was a terrible nightmare.

Hi, Greg:

We would like to get more information about the scan issue you experienced as well as look into the 4 numbers you dialed to see if any of them were connected to genuine AVG support! Please contact us privately with more details.

-AVG Team

Original review: July 30, 2018

At the end of last month I received a subscription renewal notice informing me that £76.49 would be taken from my card in two weeks time. I have been a paying customer of AVG for at least 8 years with a subscription every two years for five computers of just AVG Antivirus. I don't need any greater functionality than virus scanning as I don't want any interference via additional firewalls or monitoring to interfere with the smooth operation of my PCs. I later received notification that my account had been debited £121.99 by Digital River on behalf of AVG, an overcharge of £45.50 or 60% of the payment I was expecting to have taken. Having called AVG customer service, which sounded like an Indian contact centre, I was informed that they COULD NOT ISSUE REFUNDS, but instead could extend my expiry date to 4 years from 2 years if I took the AVG Internet Security upgrade - a product I don't want, rather than my Antivirus only product.

I'm sure that taking more money than is due and not allowing refunds constitutes theft and is illegal under most international financial regulations. If you have a subscription with AVG I suggest you check with them how much they intend to take from you. Remember I have an e-mail stating how much they were taking but they changed the amount and overcharged anyway with no refund available. I could find nowhere to e-mail to complain and have this on record except for verbal discussions with customer service so there is no paper trail for this. It's plain robbery. Forward charging me for 2 years now (2 years in advance), when I only want my regular 2 years is no compensation. AVG may have a poor product or be out of business in 2 years so why should I be forced to pay for an extra 2 years now. I will be contacting my card issuer's fraud team as I can send them the renewal notice.

Hi, Mark:

We'd like to get more information about this and work with you to get it resolved. Please contact us privately and let us know which number you dialed so we can ensure you were speaking with genuine AVG support as well as your AVG account information, the date of the charge, name that appeared on the charge, which software package you're currently using, a copy of your renewal email, and your preferred contact address and we'll get it escalated for you.

-AVG Team

Original review: July 18, 2018

Found a Trojan horse linked directly to the company. No, I did not use another antivirus program to find it. I hunted it down manually by going through files that I didn't recognize. I do not recall the exact name of the file, but found that it took up a disproportionate amount of disk space, but I do know that it started with the name "AVG" and was confirmed by many to be a Trojan horse virus. I can only say I am extremely thankful that this product was given to me by my mother. I don't want to even think about what the credit charges look like for her. Not to mention the inability to turn it off, all the malware that came in the folders, and the PUP files that were able to get in despite AVG being in use at the time.

The only good thing about this product I could find was the shredder. I'm not usually one to believe in conspiracies, but I think it's safe to say that some antivirus companies create some computer viruses in order to scare people into paying the companies for their protection. I have but one thing to say about companies like that: Disgusting. I recommend against EVER installing this fraudulent program. From what other reviews I've read, looks like I got lucky that it wasn't worse.

Hi, Nina:

Our goal is to protect you from viruses, malware, hackers, and more, so we're concerned and would like to find out more about this. Please contact us privately with additional details about your observations, findings, and where your mother obtained the software so we can work with you to get this sorted out. We look forward to hearing from you!

-AVG Team

Original review: July 13, 2018

Was unexpectedly debited for £49.99 by a firm "Digital River Ireland", email associated does not work, so opened a dispute with Paypal. Traced "Digital River" to AVG. Two weeks later, no reply to Paypal dispute. AVG say because of this dispute, they are unable to issue a refund or offer any assistance. So why not respond to Paypal? Obviously a con. The agreement was for £3.99 monthly. As well as the non refund, install any AVG product and you will be bombarded with popups regarding online security and PC performance. Another ploy to wear you down until you inadvertently click on something which allows them to debit your account. This is what I believe happened to me.

Hi, Howard:

We assure you we'd never charge you without your permission and would like to help get this resolved. Please contact us privately with the amount charged, billing details (date, name, etc), your AVG Account information, and your preferred email contact address.

We do notify our customers about our other great products from time to time. In our paid products, customers can disable those notifications by clicking Menu>Settings>Privacy and unchecking the desired boxes.

-AVG Team

Original review: July 3, 2018

Was automatically charged $73.99 to renew antivirus protection. Was unable to download, so let tech support try remotely. They disconnected twice. Contacted advanced support, where I, too was told I’d have to pay at least $119 for them to download. Now fighting for a refund. They have a 30 day policy, but I’ve been trying that long to get the product. Move on to another antivirus company.

Updated on 07/04/2018: Just to be fair, I have been issued a full refund. However, I had to do a lot of yelling and jumping up and down to get it.

Hi, T.P.:

We're sorry to hear you had issues downloading our software, but glad to hear you received your refund.

-AVG Team

Original review: June 25, 2018

I have had AVG for a decade, yesterday I clicked on the AP on my laptop and noticed the page looked different and did not have the AVG logo on it. I called AVG and questioned this. I allowed them to emulate into my computer and during a scan a page of installed items appeared. The agent claimed that the reason I was getting an incomplete screen while trying to access the AVG scan feature is that I have several antivirus programs installed. Well they were on the screen but I had NEVER seen them before! Of course I was offered several fixes at a fee, up to $199.00, I declined. As soon as the call and connection ended I pulled up all I had installed and NONE of the items that were listed on the screen during the conversation with the AVG agent appeared. I reinstalled AVG using my license number and all was resolved. Curious at best. I am now very suspicious of AVG, anyone else have this issue with them.

Updated on 08/05/2018: I first posted the problem with AVG in June 2018. I had an agent at AVG emulate into my computer where she ran a report claiming my computer had issues and that AVG could fix them at a cost. I declined, after the call I ran my own report and nothing showed up that was a threat or issue. I also called my own computer tech who ran several tests and scans and nothing showed up that was an issue. This is the last response from AVG... I am still waiting. Company response 6/29/18, "Thanks! I'm forwarding this on to our support team now for further investigation."

Hi, M:

We're glad to hear the reinstall resolved your issue and would like to get more information about the support call to ensure you were speaking with genuine AVG support! Please contact us privately with the number you called so we can look into it for you.

-AVG Team

Original review: June 20, 2018

Do not trust this company. I used their product with no problems but decided to switch providers to consolidate accounts on all my computers. I received a renewal email from AVG that said my account was cancelled because they could not charge my credit card. Then today I received an email saying my account had been renewed using my credit card. Sure enough, I now have a charge for renewal. I have tried to contact them on their website, that is a joke. Apparently they are having "problems" with their site. NEVER USE this company, do not trust their billing.

Hi, Bill:

We're sorry for any confusion. Customers must cancel their accounts prior to their renewal dates in order to avoid being charged. Please contact us privately with your AVG account information and the amount of the charge so we can get this resolved for you.

Original review: June 19, 2018

This is a scam that tries to get your personal information. They did a auto subscribe without my consent. They knew they could not do over a hundred charge on PayPal so they did two separate transactions at 2:08 am!! I tried to refund thru PayPal. But they stated it was auto payment and could not. Canceling PayPal also. I send an email to AVG, received nonsense of sorry to see you go if I wanted to stay they would give me this for free blah blah. No, I never gave consent nor did I get a notification of intent of withdrawal. I replied stating, "No, I need my money refunded." They in turn stated they could not because the bank and a dispute, which was untrue because I have not contact my bank yet since they replied via email.

Called my bank, found out they is not block or dispute and they stated they thought the email was odd. Found a number to AVG to call and this person was saying he can help me, asking me not for the case numbers but what software. I told him what does that matter. When I stated I wanted the refund he then asked my computer information to gain access!! I couldn't believe I heard correctly, I asked him to repeat it and sure enough, "madam I'm going to give you a few steps to help me gain access to your computer to get your refund." I then said, "You're crazy. Give you access to my personal computer?!!" Yelled at him and hung up. Now I have a dispute and the bank is involved. People do not do any until you read the reviews, there's more bad than good. BE CAREFUL AND NEVER GIVE YOUR INFORMATION TO ANYONE ONLINE OR ON THE PHONE.

Hi, Ana:

We assure you we would never charge you without your consent and would like to resolve this very unusual issue for you. Please contact us privately with where you purchased our software from, the details that appeared on your PayPal and bank accounts (name, amount, etc), and the phone number you called so we can ensure you were dealing with a genuine AVG retailer and genuine AVG support.

Original review: June 19, 2018

AVG emailed me to inform me my anti-virus renewal could not be processed because my credit card expired. I did not want to renew my subscription, therefore, did nothing since they couldn't process the renewal anyway. Today, the renewal amount was taken out of my bank account. My credit card number is the same, only the expiration date changed. Apparently, AVG took it upon themselves to try out new expiration numbers to see if they could automatically renew. I spent over 45 minutes on the phone with foreigners (no offense intended), to be told that my renewal was not yet processed!!! Um, but the money is already debited to my account??? I will have to call back in a day or two to try to process a refund!! If I didn't contact them to ensure proper information for a renewal, it's rather obvious - I DON'T WANT TO RENEW WITH YOU!!! Shady, shady practice. I would, now, never use this company if they were the last ones on earth. Dirty dealing.

Hi, Deborah:

Please contact us directly with the information that appeared in your bank account as well as your AVG account information so we can look into this for you and get the issue resolved. The charge may have been made prior to the card's expiration.

-AVG Team

Original review: May 31, 2018

I use the free AVG Antivirus service and it works for me, no problems, it gives me updates as well as giving me the ability to upgrade the service.

Hi, Anna:

Thanks for choosing AVG for your security needs!

-AVG Team

Original review: April 21, 2018

Since 17 April, 2018, AVG has not been providing Anti-Hacking protection. I paid for full Internet protection, including Anti-Hacking protection. I called their 1800 number on the first day, the person I spoke to could not provide a link to restore the Anti-Hacking protection. Then a person called Bincy keeps sending me emails telling me that they are aware of the problem, and keeps telling me that I should not mention it on their Community Support page.

Also, I paid $59.95 for 12 month subscription, I notice that to renew the subscription next year (2019) it will double to $120.00. So nearly a week later I still do not have Anti-Hacking protection, even though I paid for it. The ACCC (in Australia) should investigate software companies that promise protection, accept payment to provide full Internet protection and are unable to do so, should not be allowed to continue their business. It is stealing and they should be dealt with like any other thief.

Hi, Rosa:

The discounted price was a sale price for new customers. Renewals are done at the full listed price.

Hacking protection refers to the firewall. We assure you your firewall, if enabled, is working properly. There is a known bug in the interface that incorrectly states the firewall is not running when it's enabled. This issue should be resolved. We recommend updating your software to the latest version and rebooting your PC. Please let us know if this resolves your issue!

-AVG Team

Original review: April 10, 2018

As a small business I strive to keep cost down and buy good products. I've used AVG for years but late last year I sprung for the Internet Security Version. I immediately found an issue I never had before. I can see my desktop PC from my laptop and access files as I have always done. However, any desktop PC cannot access the laptop. I fumbled around with the AVG interface for half an hour (I am not a novice with PCs or software, I consider myself at least competent if not a power user) and finally found the "Enhanced Firewall" on the laptop AVG install. The interface showing the working IP addresses and such is hi tech and looks cool but is NOT intuitive AT ALL.

Short story, I ended up TURNING OFF the hi tech firewall and turning the old Windows firewall BACK ON. Trying to change or edit permissions is a yeoman task! You click on the router IP and no provision for rules, unblock, block etc come up! AVG used to be a moderately simple to use product for me with experience in IT work and network security. However, this new version requires a degree in effective mind reading to use! Performance is great but if the firewall is a stone wall with difficult or unclear instructions or options "make a new rule" for example, a new rule for what??

You should be able to click on the IP of your router in their hi tech screen and say "Block or Unblock" end of complexity. I loved AVG because it was light, nimble and pretty effective but now I am not so sure. Evaluate the options and as I am, a business guy who hung up his RJ45 cables to do training find a product that is effective, easy to configure and cost effective. I don't know if AVG is or will continue to be that product!

Hi, John:

Thanks for your feedback. We're always interested in how our customers feel we can make our software even better. If you have any other thoughts about how we can further improve, please contact us privately and let us know!

-AVG Team

Original review: March 16, 2018

I ignored warnings when I was told that AUG steal your documents. So this morning I downloaded their free antivirus to try it out on my computer. I then went to work on my manuscript. I worked on it all day and then again in the evening and then the next thing I know the whole manuscript disappears and a message comes up saying 'fatal error'. So I did a search but, no, the file had completely disappeared from my USB stick. So now I am without my work - yes, I do have a backup file but it's old and has none of the work that I completed over the last few weeks. So I'm not happy with AVG - as far as I'm concerned AVG stole my work and did untold damage. This is not only amoral it's despicable also and the sooner governments put a stop to this kind of practice by multinationals the better.

Hi, Colette:

Thank you for reaching out. Our software won't delete anything without your permission. The file was likely transferred to your virus vault. Open the User Interface and click Options, Virus Vault, and select the appropriate file(s) to restore. If you have any additional questions or require further assistance, please contact us privately and we'll be happy to help.

-AVG Team

Original review: March 15, 2018

I recently was charged 49.95 by AVG software for what I guess is the "FREE" antivirus software... the only AVG product I have on my computer. The best part is they charged this to a brand new credit card number which is one day old and has never been used!!! HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE UNLESS THEY HAVE SPYWARE ON MY COMPUTER. I will repost once I contact my credit card company and dispute this charge. BEWARE OF AVG... I think they might be thieves.

Hi, Paul:

We assure you we would never charge you for anything without your specific approval and do not install spyware on our customer's devices. Please contact us privately with more information so we can investigate further. Please include the link to where you downloaded the software from, the name listed on the charge, etc.

-AVG Team

Original review: March 14, 2018

I recently called AVG because I upgraded from the free anti-virus to internet security. I downloaded the new add-on and everything worked fine until a few days later. It said I only had basic protection and I could not get it to update. I called AVG and was told by a Filipino agent that I needed "special tools" that would get rid of Avast on my computer and that it would cost me extra money. I was then transferred to her manager who tried telling me the same thing!

First off, Avast has free removal tools on their website along with every other company. I used this to take it off and went to the my subscription tab in AVG, clicked my subscription and inserted the info needed. This completely corrected the issue. No extra $$ needed. I'm also very upset that there are no American reps to speak with and all call center agents are outsourced to the Philippines. I have no problems with Filipinos, but our cultures clash. They are NOT friendly and seem untrustworthy. I'll finish my year since they have a no refund policy and switch to another company that values their customers!!

Hi, V.F.:

Please contact us privately with the number you dialed as it does not sound like you were speaking with genuine AVG support and we would like to investigate further.

-AVG Team

Original review: March 3, 2018

I recently purchased AVG Internet Security with the name Ultimate on the end but it doesn't say that on the software title, was told by customer service it is? Anyway, had trouble loading it on my netbook and called customer service and they obviously were wanting to sell me a tech support package for like $149.00, I believe it was, and I said NO but then got it loaded with better info from a customer service person. This AVG is for more than one computer and so I removed a free version of another brand of antivirus on my other computer, which is a desktop, that was working just fine and installed my purchased version of AVG, after removing the other free version of course. As normal it required the usual reboot only to just get to the desktop and then. Boom it reboots. It soon was apparent the software wasn't going to run and I then returned computer to an earlier time with the restore point.

Again to try and make a long story short, they were trying to run me down that same rabbit hole and soon would've been wanting to sell me tech support again for second time. This reminds me of Norton Internet Security, I used their software for maybe 4 years and it later became buggy and wanted to sell tech support to me and reap profits. I might add that last year when I renewed AVG I was using the free version for a bit and it allowed me to use the AVG Tuneup, what a mistake. My hibernate mode never worked after that. I am done with these dummies, they permanently lost a customer just like Norton did. Oh and, after I purchased this AVG from Best Buy the girl then says, "By the way no returns." From now on I will say, "Okay want a refund but I didn't think I'd have issues with it," boy was I wrong. Don't waste your money. They are not the same company.

Hi, Douglas:

Support is included on our paid products, so we would like to ensure you were speaking with genuine AVG support. Please contact us privately with more information so we can investigate further and help get your issues resolved.

-AVG Team

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

AVG may have been a credible company in the past, but downloading their latest software on my desktop computer, I had the biggest nightmare I have ever experienced, and I hope nobody ever has to deal with it. After downloading their "antivirus" software directly from their site, I executed the installation and was prompted to restart my computer. Following the restart, I logged in as usual, and when my desktop image loaded up, it suddenly backed out and went back to the login screen, saying my "login credentials had expired" and I needed to "use an admin account". Well, being the only user on my computer, I WAS an admin, and I had been locked away from my personal files, business software, and years of work/images/videos potentially gone.

I immediately looked up AVG's number and called them and explained what happened, and was directed through their customer service to create another "User" account using the command line and fancy coding, and eventually they were able to create a new Admin user which showed the software which was downloaded on the computer for all users, but my desktop image and all personal files tied to my personal account were obviously still not accessible. I was then told by the "customer support specialist" that I had to PAY MONEY to get further help in getting back into my user account. I was outraged, they were telling me, "Well we fixed your computer but you want extended help which is going to cost you $129 for a one-time service fee".

They transferred me to a supervisor after I asked for one, and she tried to tell me that my computer was fixed and that any additional issues I was experiencing were due to "other problems on my computer which previously existed". She even had the audacity to say to me "My technician tells me that he was able to get an Admin account created and says that you were able to log in, were you not? I don't understand how AVG is responsible for you not being able to get into your personal files when you just told me you were able to log in..." I was outraged that they were trying to blame me for the problems I was having. I reset my computer every night and this problem was directly tied with the installation of their software. Before they put me on the line with some supposed "supervisor" **, I had asked the computer technician how common of a problem this was, and the guy said this type of thing happens all the time!

I mentioned this to the lady when she was insisting that the problem wasn't caused by their software and that I had to pay, and she said that the computer technician never told me it "was a common issue" and that the problem I was experiencing was a unique one which she had "never seen before" and which her "trusted software" never created. Complete and total **. After playing games with this stupid ** and being tied up with her for over an hour and a half, she finally gave in and shared a phone number for their "customer service" line. I figured she was just getting rid of me with another automated line or something, but it did eventually pick up with a human who simply instructed me to restore to a system restore point (inside the Admin account they created for me) to a time before the software was installed.

So after about 3 or 4 hours I finally had my computer back. However, at some point within the annoying hour and a half where I was talking with this "supervisor" lady who was INSISTING that I had to pay money (going over all her package pricing, etc) I was extremely exasperated. Towards the end I even got to the point where I told her that I would have to file a lawsuit against the company if I was forced to pay money to recover my data from a corporate entity which hijacked the use of my computer in the first place. I asked the lady where the company headquarters were located because I was trying to convince her that I was serious about suing them, really I was just ** her trying to get the help from her without having to pay $100-$200, but when I asked her that she answered that she was in Indonesia and that the company headquarters was in India.

There was a long pause after that where both her and I didn't say anything but mutually understood each other; that there was no chance that I could legally sue scammers located in these parts of the world. And now it makes perfect sense to me why they are not a US-regulated enterprise. Regardless, I told her that if I could not sue, that I would leave scathing reviews of my experience in any location I could possibly find, so that nobody else falls into the trap and has their personal computer hijacked like I did. After telling her this, she said "Oh yea? Oh so you are going to make a serious accusation against me like that? Well then if you are going to accuse us of something like that, that's a really serious type of thing, and we won't help you in that case."

I basically had to lie to her and apologize saying that I was just really frustrated and I wanted her to see how important this was to me, but I reassured her that I wouldn't leave bad reviews. And to be honest, I was planning on keeping my word and I really WASN'T going to leave bad reviews anywhere (even though I should have all along) UNTIL these ENTIRE LAST TWO WEEKS have been non-stop telemarketer abuse on the cell phone that I called her from. My cell phone used to not be that bad for these types of spam calls, but now I get telemarketer calls at least 3-4 times a day and it's strikingly obvious that the "supervisor" ** from AVG put me on their **-list after I made that "threat" to her of TALKING ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE. A-Stay A-Way from AVG. What a NIGHTMARE!!!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Downloaded what was supposed to be free software only to be hit with $60 fee months later. They hid this in 27 pages of legalese and stand by it. This is a total scam. I had no idea I would be billed for something I did not order but they sneak in under the fine print. Scam artists!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

They advertise $39.99 for nearly everything, but after you pay you will find it really doesn't cover much of anything and then AVG will start suggesting you upgrade so you can get the type of service you thought you were getting. If you're dumb enough to try it (I was) you will only get conned again! This time to get all of the professional features you will need to fork over another $20. These guys are a ripoff and their program is mediocre. When my service expires, I will definitely find a better, less expensive security program, and there are lots out there, I just found out after the fact.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I have been a paid customer over ten years with AVG including Internet Security and other programs. Until recently when problems started with staff communications and programs. AVG Security V.P.N. with various cost for same product, then problems downloading, but most important the direct debit. Previous Direct Debit was from AVG Now their accounts I understand are now run by "Digital River Ireland Sydney" (see reviews about this company Trend Micro Home Users Community). This has been listed as a scam. As a result my bank has now closed my account and are investigating. Not to mention the inconvenience this has caused.

I have attempted to inform AVG of this problem, the only way of contacting AVG is by their chat online. This is unsatisfactory when requested for an email address to forward information the answer was it is company policy not to give out email address. Once again very unsatisfactory, it appears this company is not interested in customer feedback. The chat person when I attempted to draw their attention to this problem, I was not treated as a customer should be and the comment constantly throughout the chat was and I quote "Digital River Ireland is a payment gateway company in partnership with AVG." This in turn is not recognized by my bank, as previous direct debits were listed as AVG. Being a Internet Security company one would have thought due to any critical changes to Direct Debit Paying customers would have been notified in person. Not a happy Camper.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I downloaded their sad CCleaner ripoff for a free trial to stop the pop ups that happened every time I tried to use their product. As it was a ripoff of a superior product. I canceled the service the same day. One month later, AVG removed 49.99 from my bank account. I take time out of my day to call AVG, again, to cancel my service. AVG returns the money. I check my account 5 days later and see AVG has deducted 49.99 from my PayPal account. Another call and 2 online chats with AVG get me nothing. They admit that yes I have canceled service, but they are going to have to "investigate" to see why they can't stop taking my money. AVG says I will have to be in the negative with my PayPal account until they figure out where they have messed up. I will never use AVG again, and it now my mission to let everyone I can know how shady AVG operates. DO NOT USE.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I purchased this software last year and was happy to use it and I believe it served me well. What I hate about AVG are the constant ads to buy more and more products. I find their harassing techniques to be aggravating, annoying and downright unprofessional. If you decide not to renew for another year, the ads increase to three a day with enticements and threats. When I chatted with their representative to complain about all these ads, he stated that "No one is forcing you to buy our software." He is right... and I won't. Not worth the hassle or loss of peace-of-mind. They have chased away this previously satisfied customer.

AVG Antivirus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

AVG Technologies specializes in software for consumer and business internet security, personal privacy and identity protection. Founded in 1991, AVG now serves over 200 million monthly active users.

• Works across devices: AVG has developed antivirus software that works on PC, Mac, Windows Phone and Android and iOS phones and tablets.

• Free: AVG’s basic antivirus software is enough to support most basic needs and is free to download. Upgrade to AVG Pro for $59.99 to add a firewall, password protection and more with a 30-day money back guarantee.

• Remote protection: Scan PCs for viruses and remove viruses remotely with your mobile phone.

• Link Scanner: This feature works while you are on a website, Twitter or Facebook. AVG analyzes links in all three places to keep you from clicking on a link that will install malicious software or take you to a criminal website.

• Community and real time protection: When an AVG user encounters a new threat, the software automatically sends updates to protect all users. Outbreak Detection technology finds the newest malware outbreaks in real-time.

• Best for: Individuals and families.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
    Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

AVG Antivirus Company Information