1.41/5

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Willoughby, Ohio

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

288 AVG Antivirus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I had been an AVG customer for over three years. It seemed over the past 18 months when AVG provided a monthly upgrade, I would lose compatibility with my email application (Outlook). When you initiate a call to their "customer service" team, they are slow to respond and in some cases had no idea what the latest upgrade contained or how it would impact my system. In fact, when I called after their recent January 3, 2019 update and advised them I lost the anti-spam application they told me they no longer offered the anti-spam capability. Three days later the application reappeared. I have had enough and installed a new anti-virus system of one of my two PCs. Goodbye AVG!!!

Hi, Lewis:

First we would like to thank you for being a loyal customer over the past 3 years. We're sorry to hear you've been having issues with Outlook and would like to help get them resolved, as well as ensure you were speaking with genuine AVG support. Please contact us privately with more details about the issue, any support ticket information you received, the phone number you dialed if this was by phone, your AVG account information, and your preferred contact email address.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I HAD been a loyal customer for nearly 2 years! What I found was that they attempted to persuade me to keep buying "new programs" all the time. I hesitate to say "without any noticeable benefit". I had reason to change my email login for a month when my computer got hacked and THAT is when the problems started! BECAUSE the email login is WHAT establishes your "membership" I lost all access to update all programs and ended up getting "infected" with a particularly nasty "virus". AVG refused to help me BECAUSE they could not verify "my computer" login. I tried (repeatedly) to explain what had happened - they even had the gall to state that I had stopped paying for "subscriptions" when they became due. There was NO subscription DUE until April '19. They have lost me!

Hi, Julie:

Thank you for reaching out! We'd like to investigate what happened and get this resolved for you! Please contact us privately with more details about the possible virus, how you determined you may have been hacked, the number you called for support as well as any ticket information (so we can ensure you were speaking with genuine AVG support), your full name, and preferred contact email address so we can work with you directly.

-AVG Team

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I paid $69 to purchase this product. I downloaded and installed. It would not work. It kept saying to reinstall it. I called AVG tech support. After about an hour or so, the tech the problem needed the “development team” to fix it. I waited three days with no response. I finally called and was transferred to another higher tech level. After several unsuccessful attempts to load and run the program, he said there were previous virus program fragments in my registry. He said he could clean them out for $99 for a one time removal fee or $199 for an annual tech assistance option. I declined both. I then uninstalled the AVG software and installed another virus program with no problem. I will never buy an AVG product or service. I felt they should have fixed my problem at no cost. I am out $69 and don’t see how I can recoup my money. Buyer beware.

Hi, Vince:

We're sorry to hear you had installation issues and would like to learn more about what happened. Please contact us privately with which version of our software you purchased, the version of Operating System you have on that device, tech support ticket information as well as the phone number you called (so we can ensure you were speaking with genuine AVG support!), any error messages, etc, as well as your full name and AVG account information.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
    Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I purchased the unlimited retail version of AVG Internet Security. First it installed the version that I purchased, but said that it expired in one month. I called support and the steps they gave me resulted in the free version being installed instead of the retail version with a 1 year subscription. I followed the instructions provided to the letter. I contacted AVG support and they said they would send me a link to get the version that I purchased. The link provided installed the free version again along with their secure web browser that I did not want. I am (was) a long time user of AVG products. Greed is a terrible thing!

Hi, Dennis:

Thank you for reaching out! We apologize for any confusion. Our software needs to be activated once installed. Instructions for registering the software can be found here: https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en&urlName=Registering-Products-Purchased-via-Retail-Store-or-Reseller&q=how+to+activate+product+with+online+code

If you have any additional questions, we would be happy to assist! You can reach us privately here.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Updated on 01/13/2019: I previously reviewed AVG for a minor issue that turned into them telling me there were multiple issues with my computer and that it would cost me $109 to repair. Which in itself seems suspect since my computer is less than a year old and gets very little use. After the review, on this site, they responded with seemingly concern and asked me to contact them privately. I did. That was nearly 10 days ago and still no reply. It's quite obvious they don't care about their customers. Once my contract is up it is unlikely I will ever purchase an AVG product again.

Original Review: I contacted tech support the other day for what I assumed was a minor issue. My AVG ZEN portal was telling me I needed an update to my internet security, however when I try to update it gets stuck in a connection screen and never starts. Called AVG support to figure out what was going on. After being on the phone for about 20 minutes I was told that there were multiple issues with my computer and that it would cost $109 to fix.

This is ridiculous. I pay a yearly subscription to AVG and now I'd have to pay an additional $109 for technical support? What kind of scam is this? When I told them that financially I could not afford that, I was quickly told I could be given a discount. Once I explained that I couldn't afford the discount either, the tech support guy basically stopped caring about anything I had to say and was quick to get me off the phone. Needless to say I will not be renewing my subscription to AVG and will be looking for a new anti-virus software to use. Very disappointing. They also did not fix my original issue.

Hi, Matthew:

Thank you for reaching out! We're sorry to hear you've been having issues updating your software. Have you tried running a repair or reinstalling it? Repair instructions can be found here: https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en&urlname=How-to-repair-AVG

We'd like to get more information about the issue you experienced as well as the number you called so we can ensure you were speaking with genuine AVG support. Please contact us privately with more details.

-AVG Team

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AVG Antivirus?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Purchased from Walmart and installed on 12.1.18. It shows that I installed it in November... not so. It put an add on onto my computer which I noticed when it appeared that someone else had control. YEAH NOT GOOD. Called AVG and they wanted control of my computer and a could be fee of $79 then another possible fee of $149. This is a scam. If you sold a no good product, correct it or reimburse the consumer. I have removed AVG from my computer but the add on is still there and until I can locate the link it added, I am screwed. I AM FILING A COMPLAINT WITH THE ATTORNEY GENERAL AND BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU AS OTHERS SHOULD DO!

Hi, Lisa:

Thank you for reaching out! We would like to get more information about what add-on you're referring to, what behavior was occurring to make you believe someone else had control, and information about your support experience (including what number you called so we can ensure you were speaking with genuine AVG support). Please contact us privately with your AVG account information, your full name, and preferred email address so we can assist you directly.

-AVG Team

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I purchased your 2 year Internet Security Feb. 12, 2017. Jan. 24, 2018 my desktop froze with instructions to call this 844 area code. $200 for tech to unfreeze computer and another plus $300 ransom for another year. Now have a 30 day trial with AVG VPN. Not a happy camper.

Hi, Dennis:

Thank you for reaching out! We'd like to get more details about the issue you experienced, as well as ensure you were speaking to genuine AVG support! Please contact us privately with the number you dialed, your full name, AVG account information, your preferred contact email address, and a full description of the incident as well as any support ticket information you received so we can investigate further.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

This company is a backdoor scam. Once they get ahold of you you are “stuck”. When joined they did a ‘scan’ of my computer. For only $149.00 they would remove all the horrible things they found on it. When they did the ‘tune up’ that came with the membership it roasted the normal operating systems. I had to shut the AVG down and one at a time restore the proper functions of the video card and processing. Then, after I got things straightened out and cancel the membership, 11 months later I get an email from them telling me they’re going to renew my membership for only $50. I “re-canceled” my account and I am watching very closely to make sure that they don’t try to charge it again.

Hi, Louis:

Thanks for your feedback! We're sorry to hear you had issues with your computer and would like to get more information. Please contact us privately with additional details.

While we're sorry to see you go, instructions for canceling your subscription can be found here: https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en&urlName=Cancel-automatic-license-renewal&q=cancel+avg+subscription&supportType=home

If you have any additional questions or feedback, please let us know!

-AVG Team

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I've used both AVG and AVG free in the past. In 2018, they've changed their marketing drive or something. Now, all I get are non-stop begging for me to renew/switch to AVG paid (depending on what computer I'm on). I was annoyed and let the subscription lapse and cancel. The credit card they had was dead anyway (went to a different one). They must have tried to charge it anyway, despite the cancellation because in the several months since, I've been hounded by AVG's popups begging for me to renew (hey! Here's a gift! Renew now, and we'll give you a deal!).

Now their new thing: Hijacking my browser. I use Chrome. I LOVE Chrome's ability to stop ads, etc. AVG decided they could do better, and started asking me non-stop (since about a week ago) to make my browser default to AVG's browser. Uh... no thanks. So, I clicked on the decline button and it installed itself anyway. Now my Chrome browser is clogged with their garbage. I've had to uninstall & reinstall a clean copy. Goodbye AVG! It's been over a decade from me, but I'm switching to something else, I don't care if it costs more. I've used Bitdefender before and it never gave me trouble like this.

Hi, Squiffy:

We're sorry to see you go! Notifications for our other products/features can be adjusted by clicking Menu>Settings>Privacy & unchecking the corresponding boxes. If you'd still prefer to cancel your subscription, you can find instructions here: https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en&urlName=Cancel-automatic-license-renewal&q=cancel+avg+subscription&supportType=home

We'd like to get more information about your browser issue. Please contact us privately with more details.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I, too, had AVG automatically renew without my permission. My credit card declined the charge. I called AVR and told them I did not want to renew. They sent me a cancellation notice. All very nice, and I told my credit card company that they did not need to investigate. Guess what... the charge is on my bill again! It caught the first day of the billing cycle, so I did not see the new charge for a month. Called again. They sent another cancellation notice. I will be watching my card for a prompt refund, but I am not confident. If you need to trick customers, how good is your product?

Hi, Barbara:

We apologize for the inconvenience and would like to help make this right! Please contact us privately with your AVG account information, full name, email address, and the cancellation notices you received so we can get this resolved for you.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

On November 23, 2018, I noticed that AVG took out $99.99 of my bank account, without my permission, to renew my AVG product. First of all, they charged me double for the very same products I paid for in the first place. Secondly, when I called their customer service to find out what happened, I was told that if you order the products online, it will automatically take out monies from your account unless you contact them. I don't remember ever seeing that when I purchased the product. The first time I called them (on the 23rd of Nov), I was told that it will take 5-7 business days before I will see my money back in my account. On the 3rd of December, my money still WASN'T back in my account, so I called them again.

They told me they would help me out on the phone to get it taken care of. I asked the CSR how long will it be before I see my money back and he said 72 hours. Now it has been 72 and I just got off the phone with AVG customer service and the same crap. To be honest with you, I have used and loved the AVG products but when it comes to dealing with your money with that company, I wouldn't trust them. I know I will not buy AVG again because they have too much access to my bank account for me to feel safe with them.

Hi, Patricia:

We'd like to apologize for any confusion. You likely signed up at a discounted rate for first time customers (renewals are done at full price). When you purchased the software, there would have been a box for automatic renewals. This is marked by default to ensure our customers don't have any lapse in service. We would like to help get your refund processed. Please contact us privately with your AVG account information, full name, and email address and we'll be happy to assist.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Company Took money from me without Permission and did not notify me on any transaction. The company is shady and I will never use them again EVER!!! They take your money when you don't ask them which quite honestly is illegal.

Hi, Jeremy:

Thanks for reaching out! We assure you we would never charge you without your express permission and would like to help get this resolved. When you first signed up to use our software, there was an option to set up or disable automatic renewals. A renewal email is then sent out approximately 30 days prior to your subscription expiration date. While we will hate to see you go, please contact us privately and we'll be happy to assist you directly.

-AVG Team

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Just tried to install my antivirus. Stated I had to call toll free number. Why? Seems pretty straightforward! Spent 45 minutes with Sam in India, trying to do what I could do. Then he does a little clean up of my computer, which I didn’t ask for, and suddenly states that I have to pay for his services. What the hell? I can install myself. I didn’t need to call! There was never anything said about having to pay for technical support, and what is it always someone in another country that barely speaks English? Very disappointed. Now I don’t know if he has all of my information on my computer files? Thanks a lot AVG!

Hi, Natalie:

Thank you for reaching out! This is highly unusual and we would like to investigate whether it was genuine AVG Support you were instructed to contact as well as from where you purchased/downloaded the software. Please contact us privately with the URL you purchased/downloaded it from, the phone number you were instructed to call, your purchase receipt, and your preferred contact email address so we can work with you directly.

-AVG Team

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

After McAfee (in its early days) and having had a virus infection during that time I tried several other Antivirus programs. Several years ago I settled on AVG and haven't had an infection since, but received several warnings about dangerous emails and sites I tried to view. The warnings are inflaming and threatening RED thus IMPOSSIBLE to ignore! And carries a selector stating GET ME OUT OF HERE. Good so far and no functional complaints. The problem starts when I need help with something going above my cranium, then invariably the operator/technician is in the Philippines (I always ask their location or can tell by the time difference... need to ask that also) and usually speaks pretty good English with an accent. After allowing remote access (always watch what they're doing!!!) they load a program that shows lots of RED warnings and then COMES THE SALES pitch.

They CAN remove all these problems but it will cost XXYY amount of dollars but... there are options etc. At such time I usually deny further access, and cancel the phone call. While the AVG program seems to have been keeping my PCs free from attacks, their continuous attempt to get more money out of my pocket is an enormous negative. Surely I understand that companies can only exist if revenue keeps coming in and if an annual subscription does not have sufficient clients the company may cease to exist, simple economics 101, but... if they cannot tell you upfront (or won't) what fixing problems would cost, then why make an annoying PC problem worse by making your person miserable as well? It seems to this 87 yr old a problem that finds its origin in less civility, less integrity and more greed, but then these are just my experiences and opinions expressed.

Hi, Hendrik:

Thank you for reaching out and providing feedback! Notifications for our other great features and products can be adjusted by clicking Menu>Settings>Privacy and unchecking the corresponding boxes.

If you have any additional questions or any issues that need to be addressed, we would be happy to help you directly! Please message us privately with your question or a description of the issue, your AVG account information, full name, and preferred email address.

-AVG Team

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I used their product for many years. However I found out that it is not needed any longer. So I uninstalled the programs (which is very hard to do since they obviously want to avoid that you quit for good). I closed my account with them. A week ago I received an invoice for subscription removal. Very hard to contact them as email address doesn't work, tel no. is wrong... Finally I managed to cancel the subscription and was promised to from now on I have no obligations and my account is closed. Just now I received another statement telling me that my credit card has been debited against Eur 76,99 €. Such practices are just not tolerable!

Hi, Friedrich:

We apologize for any inconvenience. Please contact us privately with your full name, AVG account information, the product in question, an invoice number if you received one, and your preferred contact email address so we can help get this resolved for you.

-AVG Team

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I think the product probably works but talking to people in a foreign country that have trouble with the English language is not helpful and you buy the program and can't figure out how to download it and use it then you try again and they sell it to you again.

Hi, Dwaine:

Thank you for reaching out! We'd like to help get your software up and running for you! Please contact us privately with more information about the issue you're experiencing and we'll be happy to assist!

-AVG Team

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Updated on 11/02/2018: This response is for educational purposes... AVG responded to my complaint with the same cookie cutter reply they send to everybody else who complains about their products and services. They try very hard to make their scam seem legitimate. And sadly there are millions of vulnerable people needing help that are being exploited by AVG. If you sell me something and then you do something in the background to cause it not to work, and then you want to charge me to undo or fix what you did that caused it not to work to begin with is the definition of a fraudulent transaction ie... SCAM SCAM SCAM!!! Somebody needs to put a stop to this type of internet fraud. Talking adventure.

Original Review: I have been using AVG PC Tuneup for a number of years. It automatically renewed the other day which was fine, because I liked the product and wanted to continue using it. Today I got a message when I tried to open PC Tuneup that it had expired. I called AVG for assistance and Muhammad answered the phone and I allowed him to take control of my computer remotely to troubleshoot the issue. After he went through my computer OS looking at everything and asking me about certain programs that had nothing to do with the issue. He put me on hold for a little while then he informed me that he would need to uninstall AVG PC Tuneup and reinstall it but he was going to have to charge me a $100 tech support fee for doing it.

I told him to shut off his access to my computer immediately. I told him I wanted a complete refund and I would not be using the AVG products anymore. They programmed their software to lock up on purpose so they could charge me more money to fix it. I don't want anything to do with a company that runs scams on ignorant customers who don't know how scams like this work. They sell you something then tell you it will cost you more money to fix it when their install software causes the issue in the first place.

They carefully planned this in advance of the issue they caused and I want everybody to be aware of the upsell scam AVG is running to fix issues they cause themselves in order to milk more money from unsuspecting customers. They try to sell you on it being legitimate service. I have been scammed by other companies who offer internet and computer services who offer one product but continue to find unrelated issues to upcharge you to fix because the initial product they sold you did not cover the additional services they want to charge you for. Total scam - beware of anybody asking for more money after they sell you one product.

Hi, Frank:

We're sorry to hear you had issues with your registration and would like to ensure you were calling genuine AVG support! Please contact us privately with the phone number you called, your AVG account information, full name, and your preferred email address so we can address the registration issue and investigate the support issue.

-AVG Team

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Recently I found out that for the last two years I had been paying for two identical subscriptions on the same account. I contacted customer support and they told me they could not refund me for the incorrect subscription. I acknowledge that I must have signed up to the two subscriptions. But as they were identical on the same account I don't know (a) how this should be allowed to happen, (b) why I can't be refunded. There is no AVG email address to send details to so I am very disappointed and significantly out of pocket.

Hi, Thomas:

Please contact us privately with your account details, which subscriptions were duplicated, and your preferred contact email address and we'll be happy to help you directly.

-AVG Team

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I'm sorry but this was not helpful at all. I purchased several of your products over the course of 4 months. I have (all year memberships) of mobile security (bought at least two memberships), deep cleaning, VPN, and internet security. I have them spread out on this account and ** and another account. I have multiple accounts as this "thing" changes my password and locks me out.

I haven't been able to utilize the internet security because the computer would not allow the download. I've called your technicians multiple times. They did what they called an "attempt" to download remotely but were too impatient to wait for the download to finish, left, and the download never completed. Needless to say, the malware remained prevalent. I called multiple times again. I mentioned how Norton attempted a rescue but failed and your technician said: "well, if Norton couldn't do it, I'm not sure what you're expecting from us." How embarrassing for AVG. Had he let me finish my sentence without cutting me off he would've been better informed and knew that poor customer service on Norton's part is what deterred successful intervention and resolution to this issue. The same service I've received from AVG thus far.

You can highly recommend but have been nothing but a disappointment and an inconvenience. Your cleaning app is the only product that has served any real purpose or use. Your VPN never connects, your internet security software refuses to download and your technicians are too impatient to provide quality technical assistance. Your mobile security only arms the malware with additional resources as it uses your permissions to inflict more damage my software, property, and devices.

I'm hereby requesting a full refund for all of your products, except the cleaning app. They have been deemed defective, inefficient, and ultimately have contributed to the furthering of damage to my devices, software, and equipment. Since I've purchased your product(s) I have lost three laptops and I'm now on my fourth cell phone which I will be doing a warranty exchange this Friday. I've switched carriers two times and ISPs once (Comcast to Verizon) and you (AVG) who bolstered and store protection, security, and membership have been reticent, absent, and utterly unhelpful. Kindly inform status of refund or proposed plan to facilitate resolution today, please. Thank you.

Hi, Jason:

We're sorry to hear you've had this experience and would like to investigate further, as well as help get your issues resolved. Please contact us privately with your AVG account information, a description of the issues you experienced, the operating system versions on the affected devices, if you had any other antivirus/antimalware software installed on them, the phone number(s) you called to ensure you were speaking with genuine AVG support, and your preferred email address.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

TOTALLY furious with this. In conjunction with PayPal they auto billed me and then when contacted offer me a refund only to send me an email full of jargon. Approximately halfway down the email then ask me to reply to this email should I want a refund. When I did reply and also contacted PayPal AVG will only refund through the method in which the payment was received and then PayPal will charge me to receive the funds back to my account. Long story short I'm being charged by Paypal for a service/product I previously canceled and now being charged to receive money that I never wanted to spend in the first place. Paypal and AVG both crooks!

Hi, Stacey:

While we cannot help with PayPal's policies and are sad to see you go, we would like to help you ensure your subscription is cancelled. Please contact us privately with your AVG account information and we'll be happy to assist you directly.

Resolution response: Sept. 17, 2018

I am writing an amended review of my 8/5 review of AVG. I have been contacted with very good and professional reps from AVG. My subscription fee was refunded and my compliant has been resolved. I also want to point out that in my initial review that I was in a panic mode and had to rely on my mobile phone. I had inadvertently called two bogus fraudulent phone numbers who used the AVG logo. They get away with it, so it's your job to find the genuine company.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I had purchased an AVG tuneup in Dec. 2016 for two years. After 18 months of using the program which I thought was not all that great IG constant reminders every day to upgrade or buy additional protection. OK. I believe it was June of 2018. I used the program for a tune-up and running a scan. I noticed that the scan stayed on 12 percent. So I thought it needed more time, however after 2 hours the scan was still at 12 percent. I proceeded to stop the scan and mouse or keyboard commands were unresponsive. My next step was to shut down the computer which was also unresponsive so I unplugged the power source and waited several minutes and initiated the power. To my surprised after booting up I still was where I left off. I could not even get to a safe mode. I proceeded to contact AVG which became extremely difficult. I eventually called a phone number .

I had to use my smartphone to search. The first number I called I spoke to which seemed like a shady rep. I conveyed my complaint and was told that it would take 24 hrs to be contacted. I moved on to another AVG phone number and this rep was completely useless. Did not listen to me and suggested I contact a local computer repair service. The rep kept repeating that I should allow them to give them access to my computer remotely. I tried to explain that I could not use any commands on my computer. That fell on deaf stupid ears after much frustration and feeling that my computer had been hijacked I hung up and fortunately when I tried to access my computer again I was able to get to a safe mode option. Therefore I was successful in ending the scan . My next step was to uninstall their program.

After that was completed I called a third AVG phone number and got a third incompetent rep. I proceed to cancel my subscription and wanted a refund for the last 6 months of my subscription. The rep replied that was not possible. OK. So I wanted a confirmation e-mail for cancellation and then I realized I had changed my e-mail address since I purchased the subscription in 2016. So I proceeded to request a e-mail address change and was told that they needed to access my computer. Can you believe that access my computer for a e-mail address change?

So I had to call a fourth phone number and finally was able to change my e-mail address because I could not trust this company or whatever they are not to renew my subscription. Of course they would not refund the remaining 6 months left in my subscription. I would advise all to stay clear of AVG avoid this company like an incurable disease. Seems like all they want to do is get access to your computer. This company should not be permitted to do business a complete fraud. My experience was a terrible nightmare.

Hi, Greg:

We would like to get more information about the scan issue you experienced as well as look into the 4 numbers you dialed to see if any of them were connected to genuine AVG support! Please contact us privately with more details.

-AVG Team

Original review: July 30, 2018

At the end of last month I received a subscription renewal notice informing me that £76.49 would be taken from my card in two weeks time. I have been a paying customer of AVG for at least 8 years with a subscription every two years for five computers of just AVG Antivirus. I don't need any greater functionality than virus scanning as I don't want any interference via additional firewalls or monitoring to interfere with the smooth operation of my PCs. I later received notification that my account had been debited £121.99 by Digital River on behalf of AVG, an overcharge of £45.50 or 60% of the payment I was expecting to have taken. Having called AVG customer service, which sounded like an Indian contact centre, I was informed that they COULD NOT ISSUE REFUNDS, but instead could extend my expiry date to 4 years from 2 years if I took the AVG Internet Security upgrade - a product I don't want, rather than my Antivirus only product.

I'm sure that taking more money than is due and not allowing refunds constitutes theft and is illegal under most international financial regulations. If you have a subscription with AVG I suggest you check with them how much they intend to take from you. Remember I have an e-mail stating how much they were taking but they changed the amount and overcharged anyway with no refund available. I could find nowhere to e-mail to complain and have this on record except for verbal discussions with customer service so there is no paper trail for this. It's plain robbery. Forward charging me for 2 years now (2 years in advance), when I only want my regular 2 years is no compensation. AVG may have a poor product or be out of business in 2 years so why should I be forced to pay for an extra 2 years now. I will be contacting my card issuer's fraud team as I can send them the renewal notice.

Hi, Mark:

We'd like to get more information about this and work with you to get it resolved. Please contact us privately and let us know which number you dialed so we can ensure you were speaking with genuine AVG support as well as your AVG account information, the date of the charge, name that appeared on the charge, which software package you're currently using, a copy of your renewal email, and your preferred contact address and we'll get it escalated for you.

-AVG Team

Original review: July 18, 2018

Found a Trojan horse linked directly to the company. No, I did not use another antivirus program to find it. I hunted it down manually by going through files that I didn't recognize. I do not recall the exact name of the file, but found that it took up a disproportionate amount of disk space, but I do know that it started with the name "AVG" and was confirmed by many to be a Trojan horse virus. I can only say I am extremely thankful that this product was given to me by my mother. I don't want to even think about what the credit charges look like for her. Not to mention the inability to turn it off, all the malware that came in the folders, and the PUP files that were able to get in despite AVG being in use at the time.

The only good thing about this product I could find was the shredder. I'm not usually one to believe in conspiracies, but I think it's safe to say that some antivirus companies create some computer viruses in order to scare people into paying the companies for their protection. I have but one thing to say about companies like that: Disgusting. I recommend against EVER installing this fraudulent program. From what other reviews I've read, looks like I got lucky that it wasn't worse.

Hi, Nina:

Our goal is to protect you from viruses, malware, hackers, and more, so we're concerned and would like to find out more about this. Please contact us privately with additional details about your observations, findings, and where your mother obtained the software so we can work with you to get this sorted out. We look forward to hearing from you!

-AVG Team

Original review: July 13, 2018

Was unexpectedly debited for £49.99 by a firm "Digital River Ireland", email associated does not work, so opened a dispute with Paypal. Traced "Digital River" to AVG. Two weeks later, no reply to Paypal dispute. AVG say because of this dispute, they are unable to issue a refund or offer any assistance. So why not respond to Paypal? Obviously a con. The agreement was for £3.99 monthly. As well as the non refund, install any AVG product and you will be bombarded with popups regarding online security and PC performance. Another ploy to wear you down until you inadvertently click on something which allows them to debit your account. This is what I believe happened to me.

Hi, Howard:

We assure you we'd never charge you without your permission and would like to help get this resolved. Please contact us privately with the amount charged, billing details (date, name, etc), your AVG Account information, and your preferred email contact address.

We do notify our customers about our other great products from time to time. In our paid products, customers can disable those notifications by clicking Menu>Settings>Privacy and unchecking the desired boxes.

-AVG Team

Original review: July 3, 2018

Was automatically charged $73.99 to renew antivirus protection. Was unable to download, so let tech support try remotely. They disconnected twice. Contacted advanced support, where I, too was told I’d have to pay at least $119 for them to download. Now fighting for a refund. They have a 30 day policy, but I’ve been trying that long to get the product. Move on to another antivirus company.

Updated on 07/04/2018: Just to be fair, I have been issued a full refund. However, I had to do a lot of yelling and jumping up and down to get it.

Hi, T.P.:

We're sorry to hear you had issues downloading our software, but glad to hear you received your refund.

-AVG Team

Original review: June 25, 2018

I have had AVG for a decade, yesterday I clicked on the AP on my laptop and noticed the page looked different and did not have the AVG logo on it. I called AVG and questioned this. I allowed them to emulate into my computer and during a scan a page of installed items appeared. The agent claimed that the reason I was getting an incomplete screen while trying to access the AVG scan feature is that I have several antivirus programs installed. Well they were on the screen but I had NEVER seen them before! Of course I was offered several fixes at a fee, up to $199.00, I declined. As soon as the call and connection ended I pulled up all I had installed and NONE of the items that were listed on the screen during the conversation with the AVG agent appeared. I reinstalled AVG using my license number and all was resolved. Curious at best. I am now very suspicious of AVG, anyone else have this issue with them.

Updated on 08/05/2018: I first posted the problem with AVG in June 2018. I had an agent at AVG emulate into my computer where she ran a report claiming my computer had issues and that AVG could fix them at a cost. I declined, after the call I ran my own report and nothing showed up that was a threat or issue. I also called my own computer tech who ran several tests and scans and nothing showed up that was an issue. This is the last response from AVG... I am still waiting. Company response 6/29/18, "Thanks! I'm forwarding this on to our support team now for further investigation."

Hi, M:

We're glad to hear the reinstall resolved your issue and would like to get more information about the support call to ensure you were speaking with genuine AVG support! Please contact us privately with the number you called so we can look into it for you.

-AVG Team

Original review: June 20, 2018

Do not trust this company. I used their product with no problems but decided to switch providers to consolidate accounts on all my computers. I received a renewal email from AVG that said my account was cancelled because they could not charge my credit card. Then today I received an email saying my account had been renewed using my credit card. Sure enough, I now have a charge for renewal. I have tried to contact them on their website, that is a joke. Apparently they are having "problems" with their site. NEVER USE this company, do not trust their billing.

Hi, Bill:

We're sorry for any confusion. Customers must cancel their accounts prior to their renewal dates in order to avoid being charged. Please contact us privately with your AVG account information and the amount of the charge so we can get this resolved for you.

Original review: June 19, 2018

This is a scam that tries to get your personal information. They did a auto subscribe without my consent. They knew they could not do over a hundred charge on PayPal so they did two separate transactions at 2:08 am!! I tried to refund thru PayPal. But they stated it was auto payment and could not. Canceling PayPal also. I send an email to AVG, received nonsense of sorry to see you go if I wanted to stay they would give me this for free blah blah. No, I never gave consent nor did I get a notification of intent of withdrawal. I replied stating, "No, I need my money refunded." They in turn stated they could not because the bank and a dispute, which was untrue because I have not contact my bank yet since they replied via email.

Called my bank, found out they is not block or dispute and they stated they thought the email was odd. Found a number to AVG to call and this person was saying he can help me, asking me not for the case numbers but what software. I told him what does that matter. When I stated I wanted the refund he then asked my computer information to gain access!! I couldn't believe I heard correctly, I asked him to repeat it and sure enough, "madam I'm going to give you a few steps to help me gain access to your computer to get your refund." I then said, "You're crazy. Give you access to my personal computer?!!" Yelled at him and hung up. Now I have a dispute and the bank is involved. People do not do any until you read the reviews, there's more bad than good. BE CAREFUL AND NEVER GIVE YOUR INFORMATION TO ANYONE ONLINE OR ON THE PHONE.

Hi, Ana:

We assure you we would never charge you without your consent and would like to resolve this very unusual issue for you. Please contact us privately with where you purchased our software from, the details that appeared on your PayPal and bank accounts (name, amount, etc), and the phone number you called so we can ensure you were dealing with a genuine AVG retailer and genuine AVG support.

Original review: June 19, 2018

AVG emailed me to inform me my anti-virus renewal could not be processed because my credit card expired. I did not want to renew my subscription, therefore, did nothing since they couldn't process the renewal anyway. Today, the renewal amount was taken out of my bank account. My credit card number is the same, only the expiration date changed. Apparently, AVG took it upon themselves to try out new expiration numbers to see if they could automatically renew. I spent over 45 minutes on the phone with foreigners (no offense intended), to be told that my renewal was not yet processed!!! Um, but the money is already debited to my account??? I will have to call back in a day or two to try to process a refund!! If I didn't contact them to ensure proper information for a renewal, it's rather obvious - I DON'T WANT TO RENEW WITH YOU!!! Shady, shady practice. I would, now, never use this company if they were the last ones on earth. Dirty dealing.

Hi, Deborah:

Please contact us directly with the information that appeared in your bank account as well as your AVG account information so we can look into this for you and get the issue resolved. The charge may have been made prior to the card's expiration.

-AVG Team

Original review: May 31, 2018

I use the free AVG Antivirus service and it works for me, no problems, it gives me updates as well as giving me the ability to upgrade the service.

Hi, Anna:

Thanks for choosing AVG for your security needs!

AVG Antivirus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

AVG Technologies specializes in software for consumer and business internet security, personal privacy and identity protection. Founded in 1991, AVG now serves over 200 million monthly active users.

• Works across devices: AVG has developed antivirus software that works on PC, Mac, Windows Phone and Android and iOS phones and tablets.

• Free: AVG’s basic antivirus software is enough to support most basic needs and is free to download. Upgrade to AVG Pro for $59.99 to add a firewall, password protection and more with a 30-day money back guarantee.

• Remote protection: Scan PCs for viruses and remove viruses remotely with your mobile phone.

• Link Scanner: This feature works while you are on a website, Twitter or Facebook. AVG analyzes links in all three places to keep you from clicking on a link that will install malicious software or take you to a criminal website.

• Community and real time protection: When an AVG user encounters a new threat, the software automatically sends updates to protect all users. Outbreak Detection technology finds the newest malware outbreaks in real-time.

• Best for: Individuals and families.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
    Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

AVG Antivirus Company Information