Willoughby, Ohio

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.38/5

AVG sells antivirus software for individual consumers and businesses. Its link scanner technology also prevents users from clicking malicious links. AVG’s software is compatible with PCs, Macs and Android and iOS devices. Its basic antivirus software is free, but AVG Internet Security costs $39.99 per year and includes a firewall and password protection.

AVG Antivirus Reviews

Original review: April 2, 2020

This software is on my laptop. It is effective and efficient to protect my work- writing a book and personal, and other subject matter. Even the free download is sufficient. It is also not as "Heavy" as Norton, meaning: it does not take up a lot of bytes, space, memory- which is a great benefit, because my laptop is small and does not have a lot of capacity for extra, added software.

Original review: April 1, 2020

The product I use is free and is still a good choice. It gets updated regularly. It protects me like all the other ones do. It is the best I have found for the price. Good choice. No trouble with it. Easy to use.

Get buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 28, 2020

Even the free version which I have had for 10 years has been very intuitive and is pretty reliable for blocking most threats. However it has missed some serious threats and is always showing pop-ups to try to sell more protection apps.

Original review: March 22, 2020

We are using the free versions accompanied by CCleaner and Malwarebytes all free versions. They work together scheduled during hours we are not in the computer. So far we have had no difficulty but monitor when new versions are available.

Original review: March 21, 2020

AVG offers a multitude of choices for software. They cover all aspects for antivirus software. Their daily scrub of my computer is very thorough and effective. Updates are often and very secure. I love the all encompassing aspect of one click search for viruses and clean-up. Or you can do separate searches yourself. They have an excellent rating from CNET and they are among the top virus software. Very good customer service with any problems.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AVG Antivirus?

Original review: June 14, 2020

Stay away from AVG!! It hijacks your computer and uninstalling is a nightmare. Almost impossible short of having to reformat your computer. The free version is even worse than the paid as it installs all sorts of 3rd party plugins.

Original review: June 1, 2020

I purchased a subscription for AVG Internet Security on 15 December 2019 and then received another reminder from them and accidentally purchased a 2nd subscription for the same product, AVG Internet Security, on the 19 December 2020. (Had memory problems after a medical event). They completely refuse to give me a refund on my 2nd accidental purchase, even though it is of totally no use to me! I have been a good customer over many years but I will NEVER purchase anything from them again. Nasty Customer Service. I resent this company a lot.

Original review: May 4, 2020

I contacted them because my computer stopped working and it was working perfectly fine before I purchased and installed this antivirus. I contacted tech support because the anti virus wasn’t opening up then they had me put my computer on safe mode. I clicked because I had a family emergency and I called back once it was all over. I got with another tech and he was not helpful at all, he said, "It’s $119 if you want me to help you fix this problem for this one time or $199 for you to be calling back if you have more issues." What do you mean? I shouldn’t keep having issues with your product! I said, "What? I put my computer on safe mode and other tech was helping me."

He “laugh” as if I were dumb and I got upset and said that I wasn’t told this before I put my computer on safe mode and that I paid for this antivirus and why should I pay for them to repair their problem and I said I rather cancel subscription since it didn’t work and he said it’s fine and I told him he was rude for laughing and just hang up. I will return call to cancel this that didn’t work and the customer service is horrible!

Original review: April 8, 2020

AVG secretly installs itself onto a computer through CCleaner. It is not possible to uninstall it without another app from AVG and a whole lot of trouble. Any app that needs secrecy to install itself is a VIRUS not a reputable antivirus. Should be sued for self-installing without user consent.

Original review: April 4, 2020

AV Total is powerful, but not very user friendly. The ad blocker works well. The cleaner finds the worst, viruses. I don't know about any others, because it doesn't keep track, at least not that I've found. It is rated as one of the best so I got it. I am neither satisfied nor disappointed by it. Any other would do the same things.

AVG Antivirus author review by Shelley Elmblad

AVG Technologies specializes in software for consumer and business internet security, personal privacy and identity protection. Founded in 1991, AVG now serves over 200 million monthly active users.

• Works across devices: AVG has developed antivirus software that works on PC, Mac, Windows Phone and Android and iOS phones and tablets.

• Free: AVG’s basic antivirus software is enough to support most basic needs and is free to download. Upgrade to AVG Pro for $59.99 to add a firewall, password protection and more with a 30-day money back guarantee.

• Remote protection: Scan PCs for viruses and remove viruses remotely with your mobile phone.

• Link Scanner: This feature works while you are on a website, Twitter or Facebook. AVG analyzes links in all three places to keep you from clicking on a link that will install malicious software or take you to a criminal website.

• Community and real time protection: When an AVG user encounters a new threat, the software automatically sends updates to protect all users. Outbreak Detection technology finds the newest malware outbreaks in real-time.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

AVG Antivirus Company Information