3.16/5

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Willoughby, Ohio

300 AVG Antivirus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
    Original review: April 6, 2019

License subscription expiration PC tuneup when I paid for a 12-month subscription. I have paid for a 12-month subscription and the warning appears that my license has expired. I have paid for this license a number of times and have been a long time customer. If this issue is not resolved I will take my complaint to the Australian Department of fair trading, write up an internet post, withdraw my subscriptions with other products I currently subscribed to and install a competitors product. This is not the first time this has occurred and I am tired of wasting my time resolving these issues. Thank You.

Hi, John:

We apologize for any confusion and would like to help get this resolved for you. Once the purchase process is complete, you will receive an activation code. Please visit us here to activate your software: https://www.avg.com/en-us/activation

If you have further questions, please contact us privately here and we'll be happy to help!

Original review: March 15, 2019

In January, 2019, I was reminded by AVG that my subscription would be automatically renewed on February 19, 2019. I immediately cancelled my subscription in January. Lo and behold, when I received my credit card statement in February, there was the $65.54 charge for renewal. I wrote AVG and requested that they remove the charge immediately, as I would be charged a late fee if not removed before February 19th.

After 3 different interactions with them demanding more information from me because they supposedly could not find my account, I received an apology this morning from Pavel **. He was sorry that it took so long to honor my request, but now the full amount would be refunded in “generally no more than 7 business days” because now it is in the hands of the payment operators. I am beyond angry with them because it falls on me now to call the credit card company to inform them of this situation. NEVER, NEVER do business with AVG!!!

Hi, Connie:

We're sorry to hear you had this experience and would like to look further into what happened. Please contact us privately with more details and we'll be happy to investigate further.

-AVG Team

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I'd been a customer for years, having paid for the full version. I woke up this morning to find my full version had been replaced with the Free version, and an "AVG Browser" had been installed without my permission. I did NOT download or run any installation software - THEY did it. Of course, to get into my paid account, I need to log in, but my login doesn't work. I've requested a password reset 6 times, and have never received the "change password email" they promised to send. This company is a SCAM - do not use! Now I'm worried I have autorenewal on, but I cannot access my account to turn it off.

Hi, Don:

We're concerned and would like to help! Please contact us directly and let us know if you recently updated your software, your full name, AVG account information, and approximately when you purchased your software and we'll be happy to get this resolved for you.

-AVG Team

Original review: March 13, 2019

Have used and paid for AVG Internet Security and AVG PC TuneUp programs for many years. New computer online early January 2019 and AVG placed free trial program, to buy for 3 years, 10 devices was priced at $89.99 plus tax. Adding PC TuneUP for unlimited (small print that's 10 devices) was an additional $49 for one year, $149 for three years.

Problem AVG "AUTOMATICALLY" renewed by previous subscription for PC-TuneUp (1 device/1 year) for $44.99 ($48.70 with Tax) on Jan 28, 2019. The next day AVG "AUTOMATICALLY" renewed previous subscription of AVG Internet Security (3 devices/1 year) for $83.99 ($90.92 with Tax). Both products: Tools (order# **) Internet Sec. (order# **).

I requested a refund separately for both products the same day (Jan 28, 2019 and Jan 29, 2019). Separately because each product on the refund request you must enter the Product KEY #. Each request generated 4 emails. a. An acknowledgement of my request, b. A notification that my order had been cancelled. c. An email stating my refund had been started and should be returned to my account (PayPal) in seven days. d. The following day, a survey on how happy was I with customer service with my problem.

We are now two months later and after each seven day period another request for refund (4 total requests for each product/all the same results, 4 emails but no REFUND). And Still I'm less Refund. So we go from almost buying the product to use on 10 devices for three years to HATING the company and how they treat their customers. They list a phone #; but for refunds you MUST use the website and complete the refund form to no avail.

Hi, Carlo:

Thanks for reaching out! To avoid customers being at risk due to a break in service, we offer automatic renewal as an option during the initial setup process. The default option is automatic renewal, but we offer the option to deselect this box for those who prefer to perform this manually. We'd like to help get this resolved for you. Please contact us privately with your purchase information, full name, AVG account information, and your preferred contact email address.

-AVG Team

Original review: March 4, 2019

About 5 months into the second year of my subscription with AVG I had some issues requiring my IT person. He said I only had AVG Free on my computer. Impossible I said. I have been paying for two years the premium protection product. On further inquiry he was right. I had purchased 12 month technical support. Did I need that? No. Did I use it? No. They offered me the product but can't deal with someone I have lost confidence in.

Hi, Dimitri:

We apologize for any confusion. Instructions for registering your software and activating your license can be found here: https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en&urlName=Registering-Products-Purchased-via-Retail-Store-or-Reseller&q=how+to+activate+product+with+online+code

Please contact us privately if you have any additional questions and we'll be happy to help!

-AVG Team

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AVG Antivirus?

Original review: March 1, 2019

On 23 Feb 2019 I purchased this, "product" believing it was as good as some of the airport ads made it out to be. I was misled immensely. After reading all of the reviews and having had to slug it out with the "tech support" people in The Philippine Islands, requesting an immediate refund, I found I was being lied to by people who do not even know their own product, let alone have any customer service skills. I was asked for a return phone number so that the could do a "follow up" call in which I adamantly declined after having read the reviews here.

Upon installation of this "product" I took note of several things. Pop-ups began almost immediately and never ceased until, I had to take my laptop back into the location where I purchased the laptop to eradicate the "product". I was then told that, "Under no circumstances should you ever buy or use AVG for any reason whatsoever". They provide little to no technical knowledge of their own product, the customer service reps have poor phone manners and attempt to talk over you (they don't like it when you do it to them - too bad), and furthermore any presumed technical support amounts to them transferring you to a rep in India, and that person spoke unintelligible English.

To further complicate matters, upon installation of this" product", when I attempted to import a scanned document, AVG intercepted that document 9 times and prohibited me from doing so. Shortly thereafter, the laptop was compromised in that no further internet access was made available, despite several attempts at a hard re-start (all programs shut down, battery pulled and allowed to rest for upwards of 30 minutes on SEVEN tries!).

As per my computer repair person, "AVG has a series of issues that allow it to intercept and stop any normal functioning and will not acknowledge or allow any normally used file to be utilized. After being in a verbal argument with the presumed "customer service rep -" Crystal, in the P.I. on 1 March at 2:55 A.M. her time and 10:55 A.M. my time, requesting and then demanding an immediate refund, I was placed on hold for well over 20 minutes. This situation is still ongoing and will soon enter civil litigation for false advertising, as well as a complete scam of the presumed "product".

A word of warning and caution to those who are or have considered buying this item, DON'T buy it, don't use it even if it's free. A complaint has been filed and sent to the Washington State Attorney General's Office in Olympia Washington for further action. Again, do NOT purchase this product and don't use the free version. It's worse and the subsequent results will most likely provide you with more than enough reasons to reach for a headache pain pill or three.

Hi, Don:

We're sorry to hear you had issues with our software and would like to look into this unusual behavior. We'd also like to ensure you were speaking with genuine AVG Support so we can investigate and get this resolved for you.

Please contact us privately with your full name, email address, any support ticket information you received, where you acquired our software, and any error messages you may have received.

Resolution response: March 13, 2019

The customer care was able to step in and ensured that I got a full refund for the tune up product which I never ordered. I will go on and install the antivirus and I hope it works perfectly.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I have used AVG antivirus / internet security for a decade and I always thought they were great. Until today. My AVG internet security suddenly alerts me that my subscription has expired, and I immediately tried to renew subscription from the installed software. Digital river, I was told, was the firm that was going to sell my AVG subscription. I was given the option for two add-on programs, which I ensured were not checked. It was the user interface, and I did not see any agreement to check on. I paid for internet security only at $29. Pronto I was charged $29 for internet security and another $29 for PC Tune up. Must be an error, I thought.

I now go online and the reviews for AVG are damning! One out of five stars? How could you kill this great business by allowing scammers get control of processes? Now I have the download links to both the internet security and the PC tune up in my email. I have not downloaded nor used the keys as I do not intend to lose money on this tune up thingy. I was still thinking of activating the internet security, but the reviews I have seen here have given me a change of heart. Look, I will still use internet security if you guarantee that there is no risk to my systems if I use this. For the PC tune up, no way! I want my money back. Did my beloved AVG sell the company to a set of grifters?

Hi, Adewale:

Thank you for reaching out! We would like to investigate what happened and help make this right for you. Please contact us privately with the 2 purchase receipts, your full name, and contact email address so we can get this resolved for you.

-AVG Team

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I signed up with AVG Free back in 2016, and decided to upgrade my account to the full version. Not only did they charge my account for the renewal fee, but they also doubled that charge and charged it to my credit card. I filed a fraud/dispute with my credit card and went through all the back and forth with that. I was found in favor on that dispute and my account was credited back for the doubled charges. I then cancelled my account and have confirmation via email that the account was cancelled and no further charges would be made.

I requested a new credit card with a new number after that incident. Today, I checked my credit card account and saw that on 2/7/19 they charged me again, the doubled charge. So now I am going through the process again of fraud/disputing the charge with my credit card. Not only do I no longer have an account with them, but they also charged my new card with a new number that was never provided to them. I would NOT do business with this company and use their antivirus program. They have been nothing but a nightmare!

Hi, Jennifer:

We would have no way of acquiring your new credit card number, nor would we charge you without your permission, so we're extremely concerned and would like to investigate! Please contact us privately with the biller name, amount, date of charge, your subscription cancellation confirmation, where you originally purchased our software from, your full name, and your preferred contact email address so we can look into this.

-AVG Team

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I had the free version of AVG, never had an issue until I decided to upgrade for $29 a year. Thought this was a good deal. Next thing you know they got hold of my computer and really trashed it. They removed all my pictures, my document file as well as Microsoft Office ($150 program I had no issues with). The "key" expired on this program and to get it back I would have to pay another $150. They deny erasing anything. I had no issues until I got the paid version of AVG. AVG SESSION should show the hell I went and am going through. I only saved pictures and files that are important to me, and they erased them all.

Hi, Daniel:

Thank you for reaching out. Our software was designed remove only what it's told to remove, so we would like to look into what happened. Please contact us privately with more details including any support ticket information you were provided, what action was being performed prior to noticing your files were gone, troubleshooting steps you took (i.e. recover files from the virus chest, etc), your full name, and your preferred contact email address.

-AVG Team

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I have a limited version of their "Tune-Up" software, and an hour ago I was tuning up my laptop. A message popped-up (as happens every two minutes with EVERY AVG product) and offered a full and complete version for $4.99/month. I clicked it, it loaded, and loaded for 10 minutes, but nothing. So, having been tricked by them before I wondered what would happen if I tried clicking on the "Pay for a full year up front" option... guess what? The option I wanted wouldn't load, the option they were really offering was my only option. I called demanding what they had just offered me 10 minutes prior: "We're so sorry we no longer offer it month-to-month"... How long ago did you quit offering it the way you just now offered it? I asked: "About a year ago." DISHONEST.

Hi, Derek:

Thank you for reaching out. We'd like to get more information about the version of our software you're running. Please contact us privately and let us know so we can investigate what happened.

-AVG Team

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

My subscription expired in the beginning of 2018 and the automatic renewal option was turned off a long time before the subscription expired. I have not been a subscriber to any of their products for a year and I have neither bought anything nor renewed anything. But AVG has drawn 89$ from my PayPal account nevertheless. I have asked for a refund at their website. They answered: "You've successfully canceled your AVG Internet Security subscription. You may continue using your paid features, however, until the end of your current subscription period on 26 February 2021. This is totally unacceptable, as I have not ordered anything from them."

Hi, Stefan:

Thanks for reaching out! We apologize for any inconvenience. Please contact us privately with your full name, AVG account information, billing receipt, and which product is involved and we'll be happy to help get this resolved.

-AVG Team

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I discovered that AVG software was on my computer against my knowledge. Once I discovered it, I deleted it and the same time I deleted the software from my computer. AVG debited my account in the amount of $54.00 for a full year and I didn’t even have the software on my computer for that length of time. They ripped me off and I will be contacting the BBB and attorney general for the unauthorized deduction of funds.

Hi, Jerry:

We would like to investigate this further to find out what happened as we would never charge you against your wishes and have no access to your accounts unless you were to provide it. Please contact us privately with the billing details you're seeing.

-AVG Team

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I had been an AVG customer for over three years. It seemed over the past 18 months when AVG provided a monthly upgrade, I would lose compatibility with my email application (Outlook). When you initiate a call to their "customer service" team, they are slow to respond and in some cases had no idea what the latest upgrade contained or how it would impact my system. In fact, when I called after their recent January 3, 2019 update and advised them I lost the anti-spam application they told me they no longer offered the anti-spam capability. Three days later the application reappeared. I have had enough and installed a new anti-virus system of one of my two PCs. Goodbye AVG!!!

Hi, Lewis:

First we would like to thank you for being a loyal customer over the past 3 years. We're sorry to hear you've been having issues with Outlook and would like to help get them resolved, as well as ensure you were speaking with genuine AVG support. Please contact us privately with more details about the issue, any support ticket information you received, the phone number you dialed if this was by phone, your AVG account information, and your preferred contact email address.

-AVG Team

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I HAD been a loyal customer for nearly 2 years! What I found was that they attempted to persuade me to keep buying "new programs" all the time. I hesitate to say "without any noticeable benefit". I had reason to change my email login for a month when my computer got hacked and THAT is when the problems started! BECAUSE the email login is WHAT establishes your "membership" I lost all access to update all programs and ended up getting "infected" with a particularly nasty "virus". AVG refused to help me BECAUSE they could not verify "my computer" login. I tried (repeatedly) to explain what had happened - they even had the gall to state that I had stopped paying for "subscriptions" when they became due. There was NO subscription DUE until April '19. They have lost me!

Hi, Julie:

Thank you for reaching out! We'd like to investigate what happened and get this resolved for you! Please contact us privately with more details about the possible virus, how you determined you may have been hacked, the number you called for support as well as any ticket information (so we can ensure you were speaking with genuine AVG support), your full name, and preferred contact email address so we can work with you directly.

-AVG Team

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I paid $69 to purchase this product. I downloaded and installed. It would not work. It kept saying to reinstall it. I called AVG tech support. After about an hour or so, the tech the problem needed the “development team” to fix it. I waited three days with no response. I finally called and was transferred to another higher tech level. After several unsuccessful attempts to load and run the program, he said there were previous virus program fragments in my registry. He said he could clean them out for $99 for a one time removal fee or $199 for an annual tech assistance option. I declined both. I then uninstalled the AVG software and installed another virus program with no problem. I will never buy an AVG product or service. I felt they should have fixed my problem at no cost. I am out $69 and don’t see how I can recoup my money. Buyer beware.

Hi, Vince:

We're sorry to hear you had installation issues and would like to learn more about what happened. Please contact us privately with which version of our software you purchased, the version of Operating System you have on that device, tech support ticket information as well as the phone number you called (so we can ensure you were speaking with genuine AVG support!), any error messages, etc, as well as your full name and AVG account information.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I purchased the unlimited retail version of AVG Internet Security. First it installed the version that I purchased, but said that it expired in one month. I called support and the steps they gave me resulted in the free version being installed instead of the retail version with a 1 year subscription. I followed the instructions provided to the letter. I contacted AVG support and they said they would send me a link to get the version that I purchased. The link provided installed the free version again along with their secure web browser that I did not want. I am (was) a long time user of AVG products. Greed is a terrible thing!

Hi, Dennis:

Thank you for reaching out! We apologize for any confusion. Our software needs to be activated once installed. Instructions for registering the software can be found here: https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en&urlName=Registering-Products-Purchased-via-Retail-Store-or-Reseller&q=how+to+activate+product+with+online+code

If you have any additional questions, we would be happy to assist! You can reach us privately here.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Updated on 01/13/2019: I previously reviewed AVG for a minor issue that turned into them telling me there were multiple issues with my computer and that it would cost me $109 to repair. Which in itself seems suspect since my computer is less than a year old and gets very little use. After the review, on this site, they responded with seemingly concern and asked me to contact them privately. I did. That was nearly 10 days ago and still no reply. It's quite obvious they don't care about their customers. Once my contract is up it is unlikely I will ever purchase an AVG product again.

Original Review: I contacted tech support the other day for what I assumed was a minor issue. My AVG ZEN portal was telling me I needed an update to my internet security, however when I try to update it gets stuck in a connection screen and never starts. Called AVG support to figure out what was going on. After being on the phone for about 20 minutes I was told that there were multiple issues with my computer and that it would cost $109 to fix.

This is ridiculous. I pay a yearly subscription to AVG and now I'd have to pay an additional $109 for technical support? What kind of scam is this? When I told them that financially I could not afford that, I was quickly told I could be given a discount. Once I explained that I couldn't afford the discount either, the tech support guy basically stopped caring about anything I had to say and was quick to get me off the phone. Needless to say I will not be renewing my subscription to AVG and will be looking for a new anti-virus software to use. Very disappointing. They also did not fix my original issue.

Hi, Matthew:

Thank you for reaching out! We're sorry to hear you've been having issues updating your software. Have you tried running a repair or reinstalling it? Repair instructions can be found here: https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en&urlname=How-to-repair-AVG

We'd like to get more information about the issue you experienced as well as the number you called so we can ensure you were speaking with genuine AVG support. Please contact us privately with more details.

-AVG Team

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Purchased from Walmart and installed on 12.1.18. It shows that I installed it in November... not so. It put an add on onto my computer which I noticed when it appeared that someone else had control. YEAH NOT GOOD. Called AVG and they wanted control of my computer and a could be fee of $79 then another possible fee of $149. This is a scam. If you sold a no good product, correct it or reimburse the consumer. I have removed AVG from my computer but the add on is still there and until I can locate the link it added, I am screwed. I AM FILING A COMPLAINT WITH THE ATTORNEY GENERAL AND BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU AS OTHERS SHOULD DO!

Hi, Lisa:

Thank you for reaching out! We would like to get more information about what add-on you're referring to, what behavior was occurring to make you believe someone else had control, and information about your support experience (including what number you called so we can ensure you were speaking with genuine AVG support). Please contact us privately with your AVG account information, your full name, and preferred email address so we can assist you directly.

-AVG Team

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I purchased your 2 year Internet Security Feb. 12, 2017. Jan. 24, 2018 my desktop froze with instructions to call this 844 area code. $200 for tech to unfreeze computer and another plus $300 ransom for another year. Now have a 30 day trial with AVG VPN. Not a happy camper.

Hi, Dennis:

Thank you for reaching out! We'd like to get more details about the issue you experienced, as well as ensure you were speaking to genuine AVG support! Please contact us privately with the number you dialed, your full name, AVG account information, your preferred contact email address, and a full description of the incident as well as any support ticket information you received so we can investigate further.

-AVG Team

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

This company is a backdoor scam. Once they get ahold of you you are “stuck”. When joined they did a ‘scan’ of my computer. For only $149.00 they would remove all the horrible things they found on it. When they did the ‘tune up’ that came with the membership it roasted the normal operating systems. I had to shut the AVG down and one at a time restore the proper functions of the video card and processing. Then, after I got things straightened out and cancel the membership, 11 months later I get an email from them telling me they’re going to renew my membership for only $50. I “re-canceled” my account and I am watching very closely to make sure that they don’t try to charge it again.

Hi, Louis:

Thanks for your feedback! We're sorry to hear you had issues with your computer and would like to get more information. Please contact us privately with additional details.

While we're sorry to see you go, instructions for canceling your subscription can be found here: https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en&urlName=Cancel-automatic-license-renewal&q=cancel+avg+subscription&supportType=home

If you have any additional questions or feedback, please let us know!

-AVG Team

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I've used both AVG and AVG free in the past. In 2018, they've changed their marketing drive or something. Now, all I get are non-stop begging for me to renew/switch to AVG paid (depending on what computer I'm on). I was annoyed and let the subscription lapse and cancel. The credit card they had was dead anyway (went to a different one). They must have tried to charge it anyway, despite the cancellation because in the several months since, I've been hounded by AVG's popups begging for me to renew (hey! Here's a gift! Renew now, and we'll give you a deal!).

Now their new thing: Hijacking my browser. I use Chrome. I LOVE Chrome's ability to stop ads, etc. AVG decided they could do better, and started asking me non-stop (since about a week ago) to make my browser default to AVG's browser. Uh... no thanks. So, I clicked on the decline button and it installed itself anyway. Now my Chrome browser is clogged with their garbage. I've had to uninstall & reinstall a clean copy. Goodbye AVG! It's been over a decade from me, but I'm switching to something else, I don't care if it costs more. I've used Bitdefender before and it never gave me trouble like this.

Hi, Squiffy:

We're sorry to see you go! Notifications for our other products/features can be adjusted by clicking Menu>Settings>Privacy & unchecking the corresponding boxes. If you'd still prefer to cancel your subscription, you can find instructions here: https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en&urlName=Cancel-automatic-license-renewal&q=cancel+avg+subscription&supportType=home

We'd like to get more information about your browser issue. Please contact us privately with more details.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I, too, had AVG automatically renew without my permission. My credit card declined the charge. I called AVR and told them I did not want to renew. They sent me a cancellation notice. All very nice, and I told my credit card company that they did not need to investigate. Guess what... the charge is on my bill again! It caught the first day of the billing cycle, so I did not see the new charge for a month. Called again. They sent another cancellation notice. I will be watching my card for a prompt refund, but I am not confident. If you need to trick customers, how good is your product?

Hi, Barbara:

We apologize for the inconvenience and would like to help make this right! Please contact us privately with your AVG account information, full name, email address, and the cancellation notices you received so we can get this resolved for you.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

On November 23, 2018, I noticed that AVG took out $99.99 of my bank account, without my permission, to renew my AVG product. First of all, they charged me double for the very same products I paid for in the first place. Secondly, when I called their customer service to find out what happened, I was told that if you order the products online, it will automatically take out monies from your account unless you contact them. I don't remember ever seeing that when I purchased the product. The first time I called them (on the 23rd of Nov), I was told that it will take 5-7 business days before I will see my money back in my account. On the 3rd of December, my money still WASN'T back in my account, so I called them again.

They told me they would help me out on the phone to get it taken care of. I asked the CSR how long will it be before I see my money back and he said 72 hours. Now it has been 72 and I just got off the phone with AVG customer service and the same crap. To be honest with you, I have used and loved the AVG products but when it comes to dealing with your money with that company, I wouldn't trust them. I know I will not buy AVG again because they have too much access to my bank account for me to feel safe with them.

Hi, Patricia:

We'd like to apologize for any confusion. You likely signed up at a discounted rate for first time customers (renewals are done at full price). When you purchased the software, there would have been a box for automatic renewals. This is marked by default to ensure our customers don't have any lapse in service. We would like to help get your refund processed. Please contact us privately with your AVG account information, full name, and email address and we'll be happy to assist.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Company Took money from me without Permission and did not notify me on any transaction. The company is shady and I will never use them again EVER!!! They take your money when you don't ask them which quite honestly is illegal.

Hi, Jeremy:

Thanks for reaching out! We assure you we would never charge you without your express permission and would like to help get this resolved. When you first signed up to use our software, there was an option to set up or disable automatic renewals. A renewal email is then sent out approximately 30 days prior to your subscription expiration date. While we will hate to see you go, please contact us privately and we'll be happy to assist you directly.

-AVG Team

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Just tried to install my antivirus. Stated I had to call toll free number. Why? Seems pretty straightforward! Spent 45 minutes with Sam in India, trying to do what I could do. Then he does a little clean up of my computer, which I didn’t ask for, and suddenly states that I have to pay for his services. What the hell? I can install myself. I didn’t need to call! There was never anything said about having to pay for technical support, and what is it always someone in another country that barely speaks English? Very disappointed. Now I don’t know if he has all of my information on my computer files? Thanks a lot AVG!

Hi, Natalie:

Thank you for reaching out! This is highly unusual and we would like to investigate whether it was genuine AVG Support you were instructed to contact as well as from where you purchased/downloaded the software. Please contact us privately with the URL you purchased/downloaded it from, the phone number you were instructed to call, your purchase receipt, and your preferred contact email address so we can work with you directly.

-AVG Team

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

After McAfee (in its early days) and having had a virus infection during that time I tried several other Antivirus programs. Several years ago I settled on AVG and haven't had an infection since, but received several warnings about dangerous emails and sites I tried to view. The warnings are inflaming and threatening RED thus IMPOSSIBLE to ignore! And carries a selector stating GET ME OUT OF HERE. Good so far and no functional complaints. The problem starts when I need help with something going above my cranium, then invariably the operator/technician is in the Philippines (I always ask their location or can tell by the time difference... need to ask that also) and usually speaks pretty good English with an accent. After allowing remote access (always watch what they're doing!!!) they load a program that shows lots of RED warnings and then COMES THE SALES pitch.

They CAN remove all these problems but it will cost XXYY amount of dollars but... there are options etc. At such time I usually deny further access, and cancel the phone call. While the AVG program seems to have been keeping my PCs free from attacks, their continuous attempt to get more money out of my pocket is an enormous negative. Surely I understand that companies can only exist if revenue keeps coming in and if an annual subscription does not have sufficient clients the company may cease to exist, simple economics 101, but... if they cannot tell you upfront (or won't) what fixing problems would cost, then why make an annoying PC problem worse by making your person miserable as well? It seems to this 87 yr old a problem that finds its origin in less civility, less integrity and more greed, but then these are just my experiences and opinions expressed.

Hi, Hendrik:

Thank you for reaching out and providing feedback! Notifications for our other great features and products can be adjusted by clicking Menu>Settings>Privacy and unchecking the corresponding boxes.

If you have any additional questions or any issues that need to be addressed, we would be happy to help you directly! Please message us privately with your question or a description of the issue, your AVG account information, full name, and preferred email address.

-AVG Team

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I used their product for many years. However I found out that it is not needed any longer. So I uninstalled the programs (which is very hard to do since they obviously want to avoid that you quit for good). I closed my account with them. A week ago I received an invoice for subscription removal. Very hard to contact them as email address doesn't work, tel no. is wrong... Finally I managed to cancel the subscription and was promised to from now on I have no obligations and my account is closed. Just now I received another statement telling me that my credit card has been debited against Eur 76,99 €. Such practices are just not tolerable!

Hi, Friedrich:

We apologize for any inconvenience. Please contact us privately with your full name, AVG account information, the product in question, an invoice number if you received one, and your preferred contact email address so we can help get this resolved for you.

-AVG Team

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I think the product probably works but talking to people in a foreign country that have trouble with the English language is not helpful and you buy the program and can't figure out how to download it and use it then you try again and they sell it to you again.

Hi, Dwaine:

Thank you for reaching out! We'd like to help get your software up and running for you! Please contact us privately with more information about the issue you're experiencing and we'll be happy to assist!

-AVG Team

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Updated on 11/02/2018: This response is for educational purposes... AVG responded to my complaint with the same cookie cutter reply they send to everybody else who complains about their products and services. They try very hard to make their scam seem legitimate. And sadly there are millions of vulnerable people needing help that are being exploited by AVG. If you sell me something and then you do something in the background to cause it not to work, and then you want to charge me to undo or fix what you did that caused it not to work to begin with is the definition of a fraudulent transaction ie... SCAM SCAM SCAM!!! Somebody needs to put a stop to this type of internet fraud. Talking adventure.

Original Review: I have been using AVG PC Tuneup for a number of years. It automatically renewed the other day which was fine, because I liked the product and wanted to continue using it. Today I got a message when I tried to open PC Tuneup that it had expired. I called AVG for assistance and Muhammad answered the phone and I allowed him to take control of my computer remotely to troubleshoot the issue. After he went through my computer OS looking at everything and asking me about certain programs that had nothing to do with the issue. He put me on hold for a little while then he informed me that he would need to uninstall AVG PC Tuneup and reinstall it but he was going to have to charge me a $100 tech support fee for doing it.

I told him to shut off his access to my computer immediately. I told him I wanted a complete refund and I would not be using the AVG products anymore. They programmed their software to lock up on purpose so they could charge me more money to fix it. I don't want anything to do with a company that runs scams on ignorant customers who don't know how scams like this work. They sell you something then tell you it will cost you more money to fix it when their install software causes the issue in the first place.

They carefully planned this in advance of the issue they caused and I want everybody to be aware of the upsell scam AVG is running to fix issues they cause themselves in order to milk more money from unsuspecting customers. They try to sell you on it being legitimate service. I have been scammed by other companies who offer internet and computer services who offer one product but continue to find unrelated issues to upcharge you to fix because the initial product they sold you did not cover the additional services they want to charge you for. Total scam - beware of anybody asking for more money after they sell you one product.

Hi, Frank:

We're sorry to hear you had issues with your registration and would like to ensure you were calling genuine AVG support! Please contact us privately with the phone number you called, your AVG account information, full name, and your preferred email address so we can address the registration issue and investigate the support issue.

-AVG Team

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Recently I found out that for the last two years I had been paying for two identical subscriptions on the same account. I contacted customer support and they told me they could not refund me for the incorrect subscription. I acknowledge that I must have signed up to the two subscriptions. But as they were identical on the same account I don't know (a) how this should be allowed to happen, (b) why I can't be refunded. There is no AVG email address to send details to so I am very disappointed and significantly out of pocket.

Hi, Thomas:

Please contact us privately with your account details, which subscriptions were duplicated, and your preferred contact email address and we'll be happy to help you directly.

AVG Antivirus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

AVG Technologies specializes in software for consumer and business internet security, personal privacy and identity protection. Founded in 1991, AVG now serves over 200 million monthly active users.

• Works across devices: AVG has developed antivirus software that works on PC, Mac, Windows Phone and Android and iOS phones and tablets.

• Free: AVG’s basic antivirus software is enough to support most basic needs and is free to download. Upgrade to AVG Pro for $59.99 to add a firewall, password protection and more with a 30-day money back guarantee.

• Remote protection: Scan PCs for viruses and remove viruses remotely with your mobile phone.

• Link Scanner: This feature works while you are on a website, Twitter or Facebook. AVG analyzes links in all three places to keep you from clicking on a link that will install malicious software or take you to a criminal website.

• Community and real time protection: When an AVG user encounters a new threat, the software automatically sends updates to protect all users. Outbreak Detection technology finds the newest malware outbreaks in real-time.

• Best for: Individuals and families.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
    Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

AVG Antivirus Company Information