3.32/5

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Willoughby, Ohio

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

309 AVG Antivirus Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 14, 2019

I contacted AVG because my paid subscription for anti-virus protection had suddenly reverted to AVG-Free. After restoring the full version, the tech said I should purchase their premium plan to clean-up the system and enhance performance. I said I didn't need it. She kept pushing - I said that even the 3-month package was more than I was prepared to buy. She said "What if I give you a discount? How about $50?" I decided to try it out, I paid and she turned the call over to another tech. The tech did "something", said everything was good. The next day, my computer would not load past the welcome step. When I phoned again the tech fiddled around for an hour and started it remotely. The next time I rebooted the machine, the same thing happened.

This time I was told that this was my last day of support (2 weeks not the 3 months that the first person had indicated I was buying). When I explained that the problem had been caused by their tech (which they did not dispute) and wanted them to extend the support time, their response was that they had solved the original problem and so that was all they had to do.

I finally talked to a supervisor who very condescendingly said I could have ONE phone call in the next two week period without have to give them more money. The appropriate response would have been "Don't worry about the time, we'll work with you to make sure that the problem is solved." If the problem is in fact fixed, there would be no more calls and this response would cost them zero dollars; if the problem is not fixed they would be acting responsibly and correcting the error. (Imagine taking your car to a mechanic to have the brakes adjusted, having him accidentally damage the engine and then saying "I fixed the brakes so I don't have to do anything else.")

Since then I have noticed several AVG services running on my system that I do not recall seeing before. One is avgbIDSAgent, the other is AVG Service. If I understand correctly, neither one is necessary for virus protection or internet security, but both are large resource consumers. Shut down and start up on my machine are much slower than before AVG made changes to the system. In addition, the network printer which is still installed as the default printer no longer is automatically selected by the text editor I regularly use (I have located and fixed the problem). At this point it is unlikely that I will use my ONE call to clean-up the remaining problems since I have no idea what might happen the next time AVG connects to my machine. If necessary, I will find a reputable local tech and pay to have the work done.

In all, I spoke to 6 technical support people. The techs refused to listen to me explain the actual problem and kept interrupting and wanting to solve some problem that they know how to fix. They gave no credible explanation of what had caused the problem (original or AVG-caused). Instead, they kept telling me that: 1. My machine is old. 2. My software is old. 3. I click too many things. 4. My expectations are too high (this was after about the fourth or fifth "fiddle and reboot" and programs which I use all the time were grindingly slow). 5. There are too many programs starting up (start up had not been a problem before AVG worked on the system). 6. And whatever the problem is, it's not them.

I have been developing computer software for decades and do understand how a computer works and am perfectly capable of discussing problems with a technician. In fact, I received an email from one tech thanking me for the clarity of my description of the problem he was helping me solve - he listened. To sum up, the technical support was mediocre at best, the customer support extremely poor and the sales technique misleading.

Hi, Bonne:

Thanks for reaching out! We're very concerned to hear this and would like to look into it further. Please contact us privately with your full name, contact email address, support ticket information, the number you dialed (so we can ensure you were speaking with genuine AVG Support), billing information (amount and name listed on the charge), and any additional details about the issue your system is experiencing.

-AVG Team

Original review: June 3, 2019

Well looks like everyone is in the same boat. I have been using AVG for years and always paid after receiving a invoice. This time I was charged out of the blue. Good luck calling. When I rang to complain the guy hung up on me after he tried to tell me I must have given permission to. Looks like it might be time for a new Anti-Virus.

Hi, Jonathan:

Thanks for reaching out! We send email reminders 30 days prior to the end of our customers' subscription period, then submit the charge 2 weeks prior to the end to ensure no loss of service. We'd like to find out what happened in your case. Please contact us privately with your full name, subscribed email address, which product this was for, and any support ticket information you may have received so we can investigate further.

-AVG Team

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 12, 2019

My laptop was hacked twice in spite of having AVG. Also after I had advised AVG to cancelled the automatic subscription they just deducted from my card next 12 month subscription.

Hi, Grad:

Thanks for reaching out! We're concerned to hear you had this experience and would like to get more details about what happened. Please contact us privately and we'll be happy to help!

Original review: May 4, 2019

On April 5th 2019 bought AVG Antivirus Ultimate at Best Buy Gatineau. Open the box to install on April 30 but there was no activation code in the box. I went to Best Buy Gatineau on May 1st to find a solution. Spoke with Kevin ** who suggested to contact AVG. He took the complaint and said I would get call next day as it needed to be escalated. No call received still as May 4 from BestBuy. Contacted AVG, they indicated they were unable to do anything. It was reseller issue. In my opinion, the merchant didn't fulfill their contractual obligations as they didn't provide the product as it supposed to be with an activation code.

Hi, Pat:

We're sorry to hear you've had this experience and would like to get more information about what happened. Please contact us privately with additional details, your full name, email address, and Best Buy purchase receipt so we can investigate further and help get it resolved.

Original review: May 4, 2019

I took a free trial option from the AVG Free antivirus to evaluate their paid option. 25 days before the expiry of the free trial AVG has billed PayPal. I tried to contact PayPal but their website says that I cannot cancel for a year and there is no way to contact anyone. I have contacted PayPal but from Googling the problem it appears that this is the AVG method. It's catch as catch can. Why should I have to waste my time by their impossible cancel payment format? That's not an honest way to do business and should be stopped. In the meantime, I have made print screens and will cancel via PayPal. Bryan **.

Hi, Bryan:

Thanks for reaching out! We'd like to help get this resolved for you. Instructions for cancelling your subscription can be found on our website.

Please forward your full name, email address, and purchase receipt to us privately so we can assist you further.

-AVG Team

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AVG Antivirus?

Original review: May 2, 2019

I see today that the billing issue I'm having is very common. Go figure. Just like some of the other reviews I cancelled AND uninstalled AVG a week give or take a few days into the free trial and thought nothing more of it. Then today I get an email about an automatic renewal for 49.99. I contact "customer service" the "premium customer service" as they are called (complete waste of time) only for them to tell me they cannot help me, that I must find my original email that has the license/serial number of the product and order number and submit a ticket/cancellation request AGAIN. Not sure what's so premium about a department that could not even help with cancellation.

Hi, Ebony:

We'd like to help get this resolved for you. Please contact us privately with your full name, contact email address, and any support ticket information you may have received and we'll be happy to assist!

Original review: May 2, 2019

AVG charged my credit card today for AVG products I had unsubscribed to. At least I tried to. They had done so even though there were weeks left before the expiration date of the products I had unsubscribed to, and had deleted from my pc months ago. I don't know what else I could've done to cut loose from this very annoying product. I have lodged a dispute about the charges and have requested a refund through the AVG site. I'm not a newbie, but AVG did 'get me'. Now I'm mad.

Hi, Douglas:

Thanks for reaching out. Instructions for cancelling your subscription can be found on our site.

Please note, it can take up to 10-14 business days (depending on your bank). If you'd like us to check on this for you, please contact us privately with your full name, email address, and purchase receipt information and we'll be happy to help!

Original review: May 2, 2019

I thought I had uninstalled this product, then I got an email today saying my subscription has been renewed automatically & has been charged to my credit card ending in **. That card was cancelled 12 months ago. I've learnt that anti-virus software from any company is not necessary. Should my new card be charged I will be chasing a refund.

Hi, Garrick:

Thanks for reaching out! As our customers occasionally have the need to uninstall our software when switching to a new device, refreshing their operating system, etc, subscriptions aren't cancelled automatically through this process. To cancel your subscription, please visit: https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en&urlName=Cancel-automatic-license-renewal&q=cancel+avg+s

If you have additional questions, please contact us privately and we'll be happy to help!

-AVG Team

Original review: April 28, 2019

The auto renewal policy of yours has given me great depression. I did not authorize payment of $49.99 and I have requested for a refund. Am I going to be refunded or not? That is what I would like to know.

Hi Emaan:

To ensure our customers don't have an interruption in their service, the default option during the initial installation (this can be disabled by unchecking the box) is for automatic renewal. Instructions to turn automatic renewal off can be found on our website.

-AVG Team

Original review: April 6, 2019

License subscription expiration PC tuneup when I paid for a 12-month subscription. I have paid for a 12-month subscription and the warning appears that my license has expired. I have paid for this license a number of times and have been a long time customer. If this issue is not resolved I will take my complaint to the Australian Department of fair trading, write up an internet post, withdraw my subscriptions with other products I currently subscribed to and install a competitors product. This is not the first time this has occurred and I am tired of wasting my time resolving these issues. Thank You.

Hi, John:

We apologize for any confusion and would like to help get this resolved for you. Once the purchase process is complete, you will receive an activation code. Please visit us here to activate your software: https://www.avg.com/en-us/activation

If you have further questions, please contact us privately here and we'll be happy to help!

AVG Antivirus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

AVG Technologies specializes in software for consumer and business internet security, personal privacy and identity protection. Founded in 1991, AVG now serves over 200 million monthly active users.

• Works across devices: AVG has developed antivirus software that works on PC, Mac, Windows Phone and Android and iOS phones and tablets.

• Free: AVG’s basic antivirus software is enough to support most basic needs and is free to download. Upgrade to AVG Pro for $59.99 to add a firewall, password protection and more with a 30-day money back guarantee.

• Remote protection: Scan PCs for viruses and remove viruses remotely with your mobile phone.

• Link Scanner: This feature works while you are on a website, Twitter or Facebook. AVG analyzes links in all three places to keep you from clicking on a link that will install malicious software or take you to a criminal website.

• Community and real time protection: When an AVG user encounters a new threat, the software automatically sends updates to protect all users. Outbreak Detection technology finds the newest malware outbreaks in real-time.

• Best for: Individuals and families.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
      Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

AVG Antivirus Company Information