AVG Antivirus

Willoughby, Ohio

Compare Antivirus Software

Research top Antivirus Software recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Day after NY my laptop locked up, I called in and they repaired it because I was under a monthly plan. On the following Friday, my PC got the same virus. I called AVG again, but now because it was a different virus, I would have to upgrade and pay $110 plus continue to pay the $10 per month. So after four hours with them calling back and forth, it appears to be fixed. They said to run only in Google on this PC.

So today, I called in because my laptop was acting up again and I could not use my microphone. They scanned it (they said) then said that I would need to call Google because the problem was with them. I called Google, they can fix it, but they need $299 to fix it. He showed me a problem in my programs and said the whole problem was caused by AVG. So if AVG says Google is best, and Google says AVG is not compatible with Windows 10 - why are they referring back and forth, and why is everyone asking for more money when I paid $35 for them to "fix" the laptop, another $110 to "fix" the PC and refer me to Google to fix a problem that AVG caused who wanted to charge me another $299 to fix a problem that one of them or the other caused.

I am 69 and disabled, and they are really taking advantage of me. I will be calling in the morning to try to recover some of the original payment. I did NOT go for the additional $299. I got scam fever at that point. My God, this could have went on all night. To make it all worse, the original charge for the $109 was run thru my bank three times. I will be using AVAST after I get my money back.

I kept getting messages that I would have to buy additional package to get full protection. I paid again through my account. When I tried to get my money back they interrogated me. I couldn't take it. Hung up. I sent the credit card statement in. They are not in USA. I kept getting messages I needed a server. I didn't have one. I downloaded a server app. It took over my computer, erased windows. AVG never worked. It never told me of a virus. I gave up on getting my money back. I'm paying 150.00 now to get rid of my viruses. Didn't get an email for confirmation of the purchase. I pick up my computer tomorrow... no repair receipt yet. I hope this is the credit card receipt I'm sending you. My phone won't let me open. I paid for the original package for the antivirus at Office Depot.

This AVG system started causing problems for my Windows 10 system and with phone calls to their techs they offered to fix it for about two hundred dollars. I declined and ever since I cannot delete their program from my system. Many repeated attempts to do so refuses to allow me, and they advise me to call their techs again.

Avast/AVG sold me a service for my Mac computer ($80/year) that included AVG Ultimate software and remote technical services to install the software and remove any malware. I later discovered that AVG Ultimate does not exist for Mac computers. AVG Ultimate software exists only for Windows computers. Avast/AVG technicians installed a readily available free version of antivirus software that does not include the features of Ultimate. The free software never worked. It went into a frozen state whenever it ran and therefore no malware could be detected or removed. Technical support abandoned its remote access and support knowing that the problem still existed.

Avast/AVG misrepresented the software they sold me (a FREE version!) and failed to provide the technical services and support they promised. AVG promises a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. It even states it on my online AVG account but that does not apply to purchases through their Avast business partner. AVG refuses to refund the purchase.

I turned on my computer this morning and could not get online. There was a message from AVG that hinted that if I bought addition coverage from them they would take care of everything. I have had AVG coverage for years and have been satisfied until now. This appeared to be a shakedown pure and simple.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AVG Antivirus?

Tried to make the in app purchase of AVG pro. Paid for the app with PayPal which although slightly more expensive than the add to the phone bill option, turned out to be one of the best decisions I made. I received the welcome email which continued the link to download the app. The link did not work. I got an error message telling me the fault had been reported. Tried the customer help/service link - that did not work either, got the same error message. Tried the AVG website from a computer, again none of the links worked. The website was still giving out the same error message.

Waited a couple of days to see if the website was working, still no joy. Tried to phone customer services, had a 20 minute wait on hold and spoke to a technical help guy and got cut off mid call. Tried again, had another 20 minutes on hold before speaking to someone else who told me it wasn't a technical issue and was passed to the sales support. Sales support wouldn't help - got told it was not a sales problem and referred me back to the website support despite me telling them the website links were not working. Tried to contact AVG through the PayPal contact system twice and got no response. Eventually recovered payment through the PayPal dispute process.

This crap is supposed to be "malware protection". It's so bad. It's basically malware itself. It hogs PC resources that it doesn't need making your computer run slower and it WILL NOT LET YOU REMOVE IT! I have uninstalled it 5 times now, I have even made it to the point where it lets you complete a survey after uninstalling. But, when you restart your computer it just comes back! It even hogs MORE resources because it immediately starts updating itself to the latest version because at least some of the patches were removed.

There are endless pop-ups that clog up your screen, always on start up and once or twice an hour while just using the PC. I promise you are better off with the default MS defender that comes on all Windows PCs than you are with this ludicrous product. I had the free version and I can't even imagine how much more intrusive and invasive the paid version must be!! If you update your PC regularly you are better off with NOTHING than to install this. If you install it you will regret it. I sure as hell do.

Hello, I am Rihana **. I am buy one AVG antivirus and I am face many problems. Then I am search in google AVG support number, then see to this (Toll Free) number 0800-090-3850. I am calling to this number. Those people are help me. Thanks.

I downloaded an update to my AVG Antivirus a few days ago after some download problems which meant for a short period I was not protected. I even asked at the time whether there was a virus affecting my system. It finally got sorted. I then started experiencing serious internet problems. This evening after several hours on a frustrating off shore phone call with their customer service team when they managed to temporarily "fix" my internet problem. I was told that my system had indeed been infected by the Zeus Trojan horse and I would need to pay AVG £129 to sort it out. I refused pointing out that I am paying for the protection of my system by AVG and I would expect them to supply me with a fix free of charge. I could in the background demanding money from other customers.

They then shut down my temporary internet connection and told me to find a technician. I have been a customer of AVG for more than 10 years and found their response this evening inexcusable. It felt very much like opportunistic behavior to make a fast buck from their customer when in a desperate situation. I would be interested to hear from other users of AVG and similar experiences.

AVG took an unauthorized payment of 72.99 for Anti-Virus. I contacted them 2 years ago and told them to stop taking money from my account for their antivirus and lo and behold they have done it again today 13-12-16 making me overdrawn. I tried to call them but the number just rang out all the time so I tried another 2 numbers - did not get past their automation. Any time the call was answered they cut me off, so went onto chat which took me 47 minutes exactly to get through, got some help. It felt as though they did not want anyone contacting them to ask for a refund because when I contacted their numbers listed on their website I didn't get through or got cut off.

Overall, I have wasted 2 hours of my working day where I now feel like throwing my works phone and computer out the window. This is the worst customer service I have ever had. The frustration just went from bad to worse. They were not helpful at all. The worst part of it is I would never buy AVG products and especially now because of the way I have been treated by them. Moral of the story is - if you want a good customer service and back up do not go for AVG.

Message to AVG: I contacted you on 2 occasions to tell you not to take unauthorized payments from my account. Yes you have told me that I will be refunded but who is going to refund the overdrawn charges from my bank and give me back the 2 lost production hours from my work. Maybe you should think of these things before you take money that does not belong to you. I have also had to contact the fraud department at my bank and Paypal just in case AVG do not refund my money. I mean can you trust a company that you cannot contact? Mmm...NO YOU CAN'T.

You idiots keep sending me pop-ups to upgrade my AVG anti-Virus, which I do not want to do! First you create Spam, and then you want me to pay you for the upgrade?? If you SOBs did not send me spam, I would not need to do it! I am fed up with your lousy operating methods, and if this does not stop, I will sue you for harassment! NO means NO, can't you understand that? Or are you one of these outsourced foreigners who does not speak or understand English? Last Warning! If you bother me again, be prepared to be sued, for a very large sum. I am sure that a company like you has enough money to lose, but I'll make the sum big enough so that it hurts you! Disgusted at your operating tactics.

I paid AVG over 50.00 for one year of Internet protection. After 6 months, I was sent an email stating that I had to “confirm” continuation of coverage. Their confirmation process failed. I then started to receive messages that the protection no longer worked. Tech “support" said they would fix it for 200.00 more. AVG is a ripoff. Don’t do business with them.

I installed AVG security suite about six months ago to clean up a serious duplicate file problem (the result of combining several computers' files onto a new computer). Most of these were photos and audio files and the tool did actually work very well. I paid for the full suite for unlimited devices and have installed it on all the computers in the studio. I have used AVG in the past, as well as Comodo. I still use Comodo for virus checking as well.

Aside: having two antivirus softwares sounds extreme, but over the years I have found that if you run these two together, eventually one of them will find something the other will miss. Since I may wander off into dirty little online alleyways from time to time, I like to keep my shots current. Usually I schedule the scans instead of having them run automatically; this keeps them from tangling up the CPU.

AVG's Tuneup extension seemed to have a lot of features that were desirable, such as putting programs you weren't using to sleep if they weren't being used. Fine, I like that okay. But it also has some features that you really, really need to read carefully and NEVER run without checking to see what their defaults are. The "delete log files" was checked and hey, you need that if you are going to be troubleshooting.

One issue that I'm thinking of here is "disable unused programs". I have a Windows 8 tablet that came with a bunch of stuff pre-installed. I have deleted some of them, some of the little games that I know I won't use, but others I don't know, maybe that one time I'll decide to make my own ringtone and need to use the ringtone editing tool. But maybe not. So I won't delete it, but I'm OK with disabling it.

That sounds really nice but what AVG actually did was disable Mozilla Firefox Updater, disable Microsoft Office Suite (I was USING Excel and Word in another window AT THE TIME, wtf), and other programs I used all the time. It did catch a couple of the pre-installed Windows apps but for the most part, this was not successful, and I wound up undoing the changes. This took me the better part of my day to figure out why programs weren't starting even if I clicked on the file name from inside the folder.

I thought I was going to have to reinstall Office, and had my disk and external drive plugged in. AVG wouldn't allow the drive to run because it was on "turbo mode" which disables things like backup drives. I accidentally found the problem, and its subsequent solution, when I was looking up how to get out of Turbo Mode.

But now I think I have a virus in my virus checker! Sometime in the last day a file called gmsd_us_007010190.exe has turned up in the services panel of the Task Manager. It calls Firefox and opens many windows. I have browser extensions such as NoScript and RequestPolicy that stopped it from running whatever it would have had those not been in place. I like Mozilla Firefox for its user-based offerings and keep my browser pretty locked down. AVG offers an online browsing protection but I don't want to use it, I like my system how it is thanks.

I looked in the Task Scheduler to find out where this fresh browser hell came from and it is being called BY AVG's TuneUp module. I disabled this task and all the other AVG ones as well, but disabling a task is not the same as removing a virus. I had AVG check its own directory and it found nothing. I had Comodo check the directory and it found nothing. I visually inspected every file name in the AVG program directory and did not find the above named executable in there, so it's hiding elsewhere. Both programs are in a race to see who will turn it up first.

In the meantime, today, every time I opened the AVG control panel it has flooded my screen with popups telling me that my McAfee subscription has expired. I have not installed McAfee. AVG is not a McAfee product. I try to click to make them go away and it crashes the control panel. I looked again in the AVG directory. There are some .zip, .zfs files. I clicked on one to inspect its contents (not extract them). There was a readme.txt file in it, which not only requires a password, but begins running an executable! I looked at this a couple times and then went into that folder and deleted everything installed on that day (11/25).

It's annoying enough that even though I bought the whole suite, it keeps giving me pop ups telling me that I should run their browser protection tool and keeps trying to sell me other items (Do I have to buy the whole company to escape from their marketing?). But to have it disable programs I was *using* and then start spamming me with ads from their competitor - which are not sized correctly for my computer, either - that's really irritating. The thought that they are probably not actually doing that but instead have been HACKED - their security service is whitelisted and runs outside the Comodo sandbox, which means it has access to ALL my files and registry - that is inexcusable.

It is a security program FAIL and I'm going to have to replace it. From what I see others complaining about, I'm also going to have to change the number of the card I used to buy this, since evidently AVG will auto-renew even after you tell them to cancel your subscription. This software used to be my go-to product. I am so disappointed in them. I have had to spend a lot of time ** my computer and I have a deadline that's going to be overrun now because of it. Clients understand you getting hacked but that's the last thing you want to tell someone when what you're giving them is a digital product. My reputation is on the line here as well.

We renewed our AVG Internet Security Business Edition and was double charged on our credit card. When I originally called to have the double charged fixed they assured me it would be removed. However 3 weeks later it was still on the credit card and you have exactly one month to request a refund. When I contacted our AVG account rep he was more concerned with us renewing our AVG desktop subscriptions than helping us. When I asked to speak to his supervisor, his supervisor was equally worthless. We ended up having to dispute both AVG charges with VISA in order to get the money refunded. Needless to say we took our business elsewhere. I also found out the AVG and AVAST are the same company.

My antivirus license got renewed automatically which I never requested. Anyway it is fine as it was hidden in my agreement somewhere. However, after it got renewed I am unable to apply new license. AVG is not ready to provide support on why I can't install their new version. They said they will charge me around 150 AUD for fixing my laptop. I am very disappointed with AVG and won't recommend anyone to use their products. Their attitude is not going to take them far.

Very unhappy with the service from the get go! Took a week for them to even acknowledge online payment and then another week to hear from them as to downloading... which did NOT work! I asked for my money back and am still waiting... now another week gone by!

I paid for the AVG product in 2015. At first, I was satisfied, but the program kept slowing my computer down, endlessly churning the hard drive. So when I got the "renewal next month" email, I was glad. This was my chance to dispose of useless software! I emailed that I did not want to renew, and received confirmation. Deleted everything AVG from my computer the day before the subscription was to expire. Thought that was the end of the matter. But NO!

A check of my bank account showed that AVG took the money for a renewal out of my account. Trying to get a human at AVG was a nightmare. I have little money so I was persistent. Even the online "helper" referred me to a website, and gave me the WRONG site at first! Made claim and waited to hear that my claim was "approved." Took another few days for the money to be returned to my account. To add insult, I was charged a $1.35 "foreign transaction fee." My advice: Stay FAR away from this company.

I bought TuneUp 2014 and am still using it. AVG started to open Internet Explorer pop-up windows with advertisement of their no added value, overpriced subscription model. The popups come about every 3-4 hours and no matter what you do (WebEx with 100+ customers and then AVG spam pop-ups are great).

Their support lies, is completely and utterly useless and their management should get fired on the spot as all they do is running the company into the ground. It is impossible to turn their spam ads off and the "solution" they offer is upgrading to the latest subscription-based version. SCREW YOU AVG TEAM - YOU ARE AS BAD AS THE SCAMMERS/SPAMMERS I WANT TO KEEP OUT BY USING A PRODUCT LIKE THIS!!

A couple of nights ago, before I logged off from my laptop I accidentally clicked on the AVG product icon... It has been a nightmare, everything disappeared: folders, pictures, email contacts, emails, bookmarks, EVERYTHING GONE OR SET TO DEFAULT! My husband was able to get my pictures and some folders. It does not seem that I am going to get my bookmarks back. Firefox and Chrome bookmarks are gone (which are the ones I use the most). This program is a piece of bologna and not worth the risk.

On 24 September 2016 all AVG Technologies of Amsterdam programs were, by my choice, deleted from my PC and my refund request submitted. AVG response declares that AVG will not refund my monies until 24 June 2017 which will be an unbelievable lag of 274 days, I.e., 9 months and 4 days! This anti-consumer, unacceptable, unprofessional, arrogant, disgusting, greedy, surely illegal, corporate policy calls for a class action lawsuit filed at the Permanent Court of Arbitration, The Hague, initiated by all former AVG customers from the date AVG accepted its first customer. Plaintiffs will seek payment by AVG of both actual damages for each member of AVG's aggrieved victim class as well as $99,000,000 USD punitive damages to be awarded on a proportional basis to all members of the class. Lawyers fees and reimbursements for all costs shall not exceed $1,000,000 USD. Claim dated 24 September 2016.

Downloaded and paid for AVG updater. It damaged my laptop. I cancelled the membership as per their terms and conditions and asked for a refund. I then saw that the payment was still pending from my bank account and they had not received it so I stopped the payment. I told AVG not to take any further payments from my account. However the same day they stole 19.99 from my bank account and now are refusing to give it back. I have uninstalled AVG and reported AVG to the financial ombudsman and the police. Foul scam company. No customer service. Just want to steal money from you. Product is useless. Stay away or they will just go on stealing money from you. I just hope they get shut down.

I had pop ups stating that I needed to renew the AVG Antivirus in August of $64.99. Instead I found an offer for $34.95. When I purchased it, it would not download. A pop-up stated to call this number for assistance AVG also. Well they told me they had to clean it up first with another fee. $25.00. The lady that assisted me showed me that the antivirus that I had wasn't due till September. Which is AVG. I told her to cancel it so I could not be billed for it. Well did not happen. AVG took it out of my paypal account without my knowledge. I have been sending in refund request. They are saying that they sent a refund request and that I had to respond to that. Well there was not one. These people are the sneakiest people I have ever been in contact with. PLEASE BEWARE. BIG RIP OFFS.

The program says I have a 29 days left, yet I cannot use everything. I want to test it all before I buy. AVG Zen is not included in the pro version? It won't scan registry for errors and server tune up functions appear to be disabled.

After using the AVG software (mediocre, at best) for a couple of years, I was billed for the 2016 version (NOT requested) on PayPal. I did not purchase a subscription with AVG, nor did I have an account with them. PayPal "investigated" and returned a verdict for AVG. So, basically, AVG signed me up for a subscription without my knowledge, and PayPal is complicit. Update: I just logged in at AVG. They have added yet another subscription. I unchecked (disabled) the subscription, logged out, and logged in again. The subscription was active yet again. Apparently, there is no way to opt out of an AVG subscription. I will close my PayPal account. PayPal is COMPLICIT with companies claiming to hold active subscriptions.

Absolute disaster! I paid for the AVG anti virus - It was useless and I contracted a computer virus and had to pay over $200 to have it removed. AVG promised to assist and NOTHING. For over 12 weeks I tried to contact customer service - Over a dozen unreturned emails - Repeating the same story continually to over 5 different people. Promises to get back to me within 24 hours and NOTHING!!! They are the "Faulty Towers" of Anti Virus.

Customer services are ridiculous. The anti-virus caused my device to crash. Cannot open computer which is 8 days old costing me money to get repaired. Going back to Norton... Also preventing me from downloading programs I need. Bye bye AVG.

$50 IN THE TRASH and possible more to repair your PC. The retards that created it will grab you by the balls, it is all a scam to keep you going buying more optional NON WORKING GARBAGE. And God forbid if you try "Scam and Repair" your drive C... it will simply hang on 12, 12 or 20% for hours, then you need manually start and keep tapping like a crazy maniac the space key because you only have A FRACTION OF A SECOND to stop it or will start again and hang. This is a WELL KNOW problem and AVG has done nothing to fix, talking about pay $50 to be annoyed. I know my PC has a virus, AVG said "ZERO" virus... they DO NOT SCAN your PC. THEY SCAM YOU. YOU ARE WARNED!! Pissed consumer.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Thankfully, the refunds I asked for have been processed. Someone else must have taken a look at my reply after I filled in a survey of their customer service.

Daniel of Sandbach, Other on

Original Review

AVG subscribed me to two of the same software in 2014, when I only purchased one. I never realised until recently. When I got in touch and filed a refund request I was given two options, combine the two subscriptions and get half a year (I don't know how £80 equates to 6 months subscription) subscription free or get that subscription in a different software. Inferring I could not have any of the money back. I've now replied to this, only to receive a separate email asking me for a reply. I think the first customer service agent must have ignored my reply.

When I was downloading a file online, there was no pop-up of the virus I didn't expect to receive. The next day, my dad saw a thing telling him to get Norton virus protection. AVG did not protect us from this virus/adware/malware!!! And yesterday I was downloading another file and it said that there is a threat, and I clicked on the "Protect me" option, and it claimed to "Successfully remove the threat". And today I was yet again downloading another file, and it issued me the same claim, and today when I was playing diep. io, my computer shut down and couldn't turn back on and I didn't know what to do!!!:( AVG didn't protect me from anything!!! If you're looking for a decent virus protection, I wouldn't recommend AVG. :(

AVG took out 2 lots of $49.99 from my bank account without my authorisation... I then asked for a refund, went around in circles to get someone to help me first off which took days... Then finally had some action after I went onto a Complaints Site. So, 14 days ago, I received 2 emails to say I would get 2 refunds of $49.99 put back into my bank account. I HAVE STILL NOT RECEIVED THESE REFUNDS!!! Fair's fair. I'm on a Pension, Cannot afford this money out of my account. Not Good Enough AVG!!!

Expert Review

Shelley ElmbladFinancial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.    More about Shelley→

AVG Technologies specializes in software for consumer and business internet security, personal privacy and identity protection. Founded in 1991, AVG now serves over 200 million monthly active users.

• Works across devices: AVG has developed antivirus software that works on PC, Mac, Windows Phone and Android and iOS phones and tablets.
  • Free: AVG’s basic antivirus software is enough to support most basic needs and is free to download. Upgrade to AVG Pro for $59.99 to add a firewall, password protection and more with a 30-day money back guarantee.
  • Remote protection: Scan PCs for viruses and remove viruses remotely with your mobile phone.
  • Link Scanner: This feature works while you are on a website, Twitter or Facebook. AVG analyzes links in all three places to keep you from clicking on a link that will install malicious software or take you to a criminal website.
  • Community and real time protection: When an AVG user encounters a new threat, the software automatically sends updates to protect all users. Outbreak Detection technology finds the newest malware outbreaks in real-time.
  • Best for Individuals and families.

Compare Antivirus Software