2.30/5
  • 1 star
Based on 78 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for an Antivirus Provider?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 13, 2017

231 AVG Antivirus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

These people are from different Countries they don't speak English. They do not refund money for their piss poor software. I have called them over 15 times to get my $21.36 dollar refund. All they do is lie. AVG software is real bad. I went to Norton Software and had excellent service. Don't let them take control of your computer. They deleted all my PDF files and screwed up my email server that had nothing to do with their Bad software. Had my computer fixed by a Professional, and he said don't ever use AVG. He has had a lot of his customers come in with the same issues. So just google their name and you will see all their complaints. Remember they don't refund on their software.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

From my experience, Sonos could not update nor Windows 10. AVG tuneup even at 98% optimized still did not help my PC. I am in no way tech savvy, however since I uninstalled both AVG products, Windows and Sonos have both successfully updated & PC is running like new.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

They offered 71% discount to upgrade from the free version to a year of paid. I bought it and on starting my computer the next day everything was off. I called them and they ran a "supposed" diagnostic scan and, after showing me a page that was supposed to be on my computer and showed things wrong, they said they'd have to fix my computer by remote and, oh, by the way, it's going to cost you $199.00. I told them I suspected a scam and told them I was suspicious. They started talking over me, cutting me off and I uninstalled their software and my computer was fine.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017
I gave them one star, because there is nothing lower. I have paid for AVG Antivirus for a number of years...over five...and have had few problems which they always were willing to fix. I have recommended the software to others, personally and professionally. However, I had a recent problem in which popups kept jumping up on my screen telling me my AVG was out of date. They offered an UPDATE button. When I clicked that button, however, nothing happened. Three different messages popped up telling me my AVG was out of date. None of the buttons worked for updating. I paid for one year antivirus coverage from AVG.

Partway through the year this business of my AVG being out of date started happening. During this same period, I learned the original company had been sold.

Well, guess what? It just isn't the same folks or the same business philosophy. They began by keeping me on a seamlessly never ending call with a technician who told me that my AVG was, indeed, out of date, because they had upgraded their software. Well, in my opinion, I should have been able to update my software antivirus coverage by clicking their update button. But their tech said, no, I would have to pay for that "fix." He said that I had remnants of other antivirus software on my system that was messing theirs up. Funny that it never bothered it at all until the company was sold. So, I was kicked upstairs to an incredibly rude supervisor, in India, who told me the same thing...i.e., that to fix their defective software for which I had paid a full year's coverage, I would have to pay.

This is a total scam. I paid for a full year's service. If, in the interim, they do something to their software that makes it no longer work on my computer, then they should fix it at no cost. This is akin to the airbag situation in certain auto makes. The airbag no longer works, so they fix it. They don't charge me for manufacturing or trying to change a faulty product. AVG used to be a good product. I trusted it. Now, I no longer trust it, nor would I ever recommend it to anyone. Their techs in India are trained to present arguments against the consumer in hopes that the consumer will just cave in and pay the money. This is not right. As for me, I intend to send this to as many scam agencies as I possibly can, and if I can find a government consumer protection agency, I will send it to them as well. It has been my experience that this is often what happens when a good company sells out to a larger company with no consumer values.

To that larger company, we are just a number. They don't need us because 10,000 others are waiting in line to be scammed. And think, if only 1/2 of their scams are ever contested, they come out ahead. I would invite anyone who cares about good service and buying a good product to boycott this bunch of scam artists. AVG is a ripoff in its current state, both in terms of quality of product and customer support or service.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I use AVG on my 3 laptops. I had viruses bad on my one laptop. I went in and once this was set up it cleaned out the viruses for me so I could use the laptops properly. I recommend this protection to all my friends.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AVG Antivirus?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

WAY too many nagging pop ups. Seems to use a lot of resources, & some IP banks have gotten really slow since install. That only occurs on the pc with AVG.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

My I.T. Guy recommended getting AVG. I was using TrendMicro & he said AVG offers better overall coverage for my desktop. I think at $69 it's pricey but I'll give it a year.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I think AVG software is excellent but in their attempt to keep me current they seem to over-subscribe me. I think at the present time there are at least three licenses that are current.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

AVG Antivirus is better than most. It's really all I use. If you get something wrong they do something about it. I love how they take virus off for me. They have a lot of viruses scans.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

AVG is free which is a big plus and it seems to work. Recently it has slowed and is pushing paid content which is annoying. But I don't want to pay for the expensive anti virus software.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

The software pops up randomly while I'm on my computer, just to tell me it wants me to consider using an advanced version. Well maybe I don't want to buy the advanced version.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

This software appears to slow down the system, more so than Norton that I have used for many years. Overall AVG works alright, except the company is trying to over-sell other related products. I have used the ultimate version of the product.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

The software does not embed itself in your system to the point of causing major damage to remove it. AVG updates on schedule and scans regularly. The support is also fast and friendly. 5 stars for me.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

This is a free antivirus. If you want to purchase it, it`s way below the costs of other antivirus software and it works great! I have used this for years after a friend told me about it. I downloaded it from AVG Free website. Try it!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

It's a free program that seems to be working quite well. It's saved me from quite a few forms of viruses and kept my family tree information safe. I've considered using one for which I have to pay, but stayed with AVG.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I can’t reach customer support. My credit card company gave me their 1 800 number and the man I got there was NO help at all. He kept trying to sell me other things. I told him NO and hung up. Then he called me on the phone 2 times AND I had not given him my phone number. SCARY!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Had multiple problems upgrading. Still waiting for tech support. Customer service good thankfully. Not sure it is slowing down my computer. Concerned.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

AVG Antivirus is a good product for free, at least it used to be. It now seems to be bloated with other options and it seems like it doesn't work as well as it used to.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I like the antivirus software that I use but am interested in knowing what other anti-virus software has to offer.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Excellent protection and it is FREE. Drawback is their constant irritating popups that solicit you to purchase enhanced, upgraded products. I have used this for over 12 years and have had very good protection as opposed to Norton and McAfee which slows my computer down and are expensive products.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Most of the time it is a free load and even when you have to pay it is reasonable. As far as protection AVG has done the job, even though I don't do a lot of searching and browsing. I think a lot of Anti-Virus costs are due to the scare that they put on people. If you regularly clean and delete things that you know don't belong on your PC then you may not have any serious SPAM, HACK, or MALWARE issues.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I used both the free and advanced features on both PC and Android. Help keep my phone and PC clean and uncluttered. Ads are not too intrusive and allow good flow.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

This was originally free but I intended to upgrade and not able to do so. My tablet order was continued as the free version even with AVG Customer support advice could not change Google Play Store subscription to paid. Software--especially--with ads-- so invasive it froze and overheated my new Acer 8 repeatedly.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Alright so I've been extremely patient and tried to give them time to help me with my problem. Either their tech support is inept or they just don't care, so this is me trying to get something accomplished. This will also be going on every review board and legal recourse I can find and have access to! So on Sept 24th I reached out to tech support as my phone started going off saying it was stolen. It stopped on its own but I wasn't able to get into my account to find out why. I documented this in the email. I received an email the following morning.

The message read as my phone was locked and how to unlock said phone. I sent a reply better explaining the actual issue and what my phone was doing. I didn't receive any response. The next evening my phone again went off saying it was stolen. I logged into my account and found there is an error with my SIM. I dug around on the site trying to find a way to contact tech support via phone as email didn't seem to get anywhere. I spoke with a lady who said she'd get me to the right people as she was part of the paid tech support. The person I spoke to said there was nothing he could do, that I'd need to wait for a response via email. This makes no sense!

I emailed back to the tech support ticket explaining this repeat of said problem. No response for another day. I reached out to their company, on Facebook, and was asked to please be patient as they were escalating the trouble ticket and I should have a response in a max of 2 hrs. This was yesterday evening at around 2300 EST. I didn't receive any response until 1407 EST. Nice 2 hrs but that's beside the point. The response stated that they understand I'm having trouble getting onto the webpage and that the problem is probably a temporary issue. NO mention of the actual problem with my phone or anything else. This is after I'd put in the last 2 emails that I was able to access my account and what the site stated was the problem.

So here it is the 27th, 3 days later, still no competent help and no other way of getting support! Keep in mind I PAY for this service! This isn't a free setup and hasn't been for over a year. That means that AVG is taking my money and when I have a possible breach, they're nowhere to be found! This is unacceptable! I'm not asking for much, I just want actual support for their product, that's it! As I have carried their software on all my machines, as paid services, I believe there should be some kind of support. AVG tech support might as well have asked me if it was turned on! I do electronic troubleshooting so I've already troubleshot back to your software. This is flat out ridiculous! Maybe by posting this inability or concern for a possible breach, something will get fixed. This will also be going to their corporate office. Maybe their C level will have more care!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

On August 25th 2017 AVG did an update since then I was not able to gain internet access without turning off AVG and having my computer unprotected while I was online. When I first contacted AVG about the issue of course they wanted a fee to correct the problem in which I refused saying "I pay You for a service which you're not providing." I spent countless hours (over 10+) trying to rectify the issue with numerous technicians with no results and that I must reinstall Windows 7 on my computer, when asked why does my computer run fine without AVG enabled there was no answer. For over 2 weeks AVG service had to be disabled in order to make the computer operate. I asked that I be compensated for that time and a refund for the remaining year of service I had paid them for.

THEY REFUSED TO ISSUE A REFUND saying that I had not contacted them to correct the issue remotely and that my 30 days since purchase had long expired due to the fact that I had purchased a two contact with them and one year wasn't even used yet and they also replied that they would take me off their auto renewal in which I had already done previously when I purchased their product. END RESULT is that they are not a company to deal with and My advice is to call your credit card company or PayPal and make sure they don't make a charge for a renewal on your account. I now have to go to another company in order to have my computer protected.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I am so frustrated with AVG. I used the free version for years and decided to purchase based on that experience, but they have disappointed me at every turn. The names of the programs are confusing and I believe that is by design, so that you don't exactly know what you have or what to expect. I have more pop ups now, with the purchased product, than I ever did before. I called for support and it was clear that I knew more than my support person, also, if I did need real help with the problem, that would cost extra. I have a subscription for another six months, and I am already shopping for a replacement. I really wanted to like AVG, and I have been recommending the product for years, but no more.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I used AVG for many years starting out with the free version and then went to the paid version. It was great but I upgraded to Windows 10 and AVG worked OK then AVG ZEN was installed and that’s when the trouble began. My computer slowed down and started to crash. I figured that it got a bad download and so I bought AVG Tune up which I had difficulty installing. I called the support team and they gave me a sales pitch to pay them to clean my computer which I assumed that AVG Tune up could do. I rejected them and demanded a refund after which Tune up magically installed and worked. These past few months my computer slowed down even more and crashed every day. I uninstalled all of the AVG products but ZEN would not uninstall and I had to call support and have them uninstall it.

Since then my Windows Defender and firewall took care of my anti virus protection. My computer runs great and no more crashes. Bottom line, AVG has become nothing but a ripoff with ZEN which installs with any of their products. I lost a few dollars but I will never download ANY AVG products in my computer. Don't use AVG and if you have it, get rid of it.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

On Aug. 28th, 2017, AVG downloaded a new program onto my computer (Windows VISTA) which, basically, crashed my computer. I was able to identify AVG as the problem since I was on my computer at the time of the download. When I called AVG, they acknowledged that they had received similar complaints. I was on the phone with AVG technicians for 4+ hours trying to fix the problem. After 4 days I was forced to uninstall AVG and purchase security protection from a different provider. AVG refuses to refund the 5 months remaining on my contract. I am not concerned about the money, but I believe it is possible the many, many AVG customers had the same problem and do not know that AVG is the cause. It is my opinion that AVG should send out an email to all their customers informing them that, if they have a VISTA platform, they may need to uninstall AVG to fix the problem.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

I purchased AVG Ultimate primarily because I was looking for a good duplicate file finding program, and heard that AVG was good. I installed the "Ultimate" program, but only the free version of the software was installed. I called tech support and they said they could solve the problem for only $199. Otherwise, "Tough luck." Not a reliable company. Feel free to use their free virus program, but don't bother buying anything from them.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

This company have been offering products that do not work. For example, while running AVG, a popup appeared stating that my drivers were out of date, 9 were downloaded and it crashed the computer. Safe known files were quarantined, it was an impossible task to avoid this, could not add the URL or file and could not turn off AVG at all. When I tried to change from AVG, undelete via all Microsoft modes did not work. System resources were used at a high level, all attributed to AVG programs.

AVG Antivirus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

AVG Technologies specializes in software for consumer and business internet security, personal privacy and identity protection. Founded in 1991, AVG now serves over 200 million monthly active users.

• Works across devices: AVG has developed antivirus software that works on PC, Mac, Windows Phone and Android and iOS phones and tablets.

• Free: AVG’s basic antivirus software is enough to support most basic needs and is free to download. Upgrade to AVG Pro for $59.99 to add a firewall, password protection and more with a 30-day money back guarantee.

• Remote protection: Scan PCs for viruses and remove viruses remotely with your mobile phone.

• Link Scanner: This feature works while you are on a website, Twitter or Facebook. AVG analyzes links in all three places to keep you from clicking on a link that will install malicious software or take you to a criminal website.

• Community and real time protection: When an AVG user encounters a new threat, the software automatically sends updates to protect all users. Outbreak Detection technology finds the newest malware outbreaks in real-time.

• Best for: Individuals and families.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
Shelley Elmblad

Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

AVG Antivirus Company Information