2.44/5
Based on 70 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Willoughby, Ohio

Last updated: April 21, 2018

258 AVG Antivirus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 21, 2018

Since 17 April, 2018, AVG has not been providing Anti-Hacking protection. I paid for full Internet protection, including Anti-Hacking protection. I called their 1800 number on the first day, the person I spoke to could not provide a link to restore the Anti-Hacking protection. Then a person called Bincy keeps sending me emails telling me that they are aware of the problem, and keeps telling me that I should not mention it on their Community Support page.

Also, I paid $59.95 for 12 month subscription, I notice that to renew the subscription next year (2019) it will double to $120.00. So nearly a week later I still do not have Anti-Hacking protection, even though I paid for it. The ACCC (in Australia) should investigate software companies that promise protection, accept payment to provide full Internet protection and are unable to do so, should not be allowed to continue their business. It is stealing and they should be dealt with like any other thief.

Original review: April 10, 2018

As a small business I strive to keep cost down and buy good products. I've used AVG for years but late last year I sprung for the Internet Security Version. I immediately found an issue I never had before. I can see my desktop PC from my laptop and access files as I have always done. However, any desktop PC cannot access the laptop. I fumbled around with the AVG interface for half an hour (I am not a novice with PCs or software, I consider myself at least competent if not a power user) and finally found the "Enhanced Firewall" on the laptop AVG install. The interface showing the working IP addresses and such is hi tech and looks cool but is NOT intuitive AT ALL.

Short story, I ended up TURNING OFF the hi tech firewall and turning the old Windows firewall BACK ON. Trying to change or edit permissions is a yeoman task! You click on the router IP and no provision for rules, unblock, block etc come up! AVG used to be a moderately simple to use product for me with experience in IT work and network security. However, this new version requires a degree in effective mind reading to use! Performance is great but if the firewall is a stone wall with difficult or unclear instructions or options "make a new rule" for example, a new rule for what??

You should be able to click on the IP of your router in their hi tech screen and say "Block or Unblock" end of complexity. I loved AVG because it was light, nimble and pretty effective but now I am not so sure. Evaluate the options and as I am, a business guy who hung up his RJ45 cables to do training find a product that is effective, easy to configure and cost effective. I don't know if AVG is or will continue to be that product!

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I ignored warnings when I was told that AUG steal your documents. So this morning I downloaded their free antivirus to try it out on my computer. I then went to work on my manuscript. I worked on it all day and then again in the evening and then the next thing I know the whole manuscript disappears and a message comes up saying 'fatal error'. So I did a search but, no, the file had completely disappeared from my USB stick. So now I am without my work - yes, I do have a backup file but it's old and has none of the work that I completed over the last few weeks. So I'm not happy with AVG - as far as I'm concerned AVG stole my work and did untold damage. This is not only amoral it's despicable also and the sooner governments put a stop to this kind of practice by multinationals the better.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I recently was charged 49.95 by AVG software for what I guess is the "FREE" antivirus software... the only AVG product I have on my computer. The best part is they charged this to a brand new credit card number which is one day old and has never been used!!! HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE UNLESS THEY HAVE SPYWARE ON MY COMPUTER. I will repost once I contact my credit card company and dispute this charge. BEWARE OF AVG... I think they might be thieves.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I recently called AVG because I upgraded from the free anti-virus to internet security. I downloaded the new add-on and everything worked fine until a few days later. It said I only had basic protection and I could not get it to update. I called AVG and was told by a Filipino agent that I needed "special tools" that would get rid of Avast on my computer and that it would cost me extra money. I was then transferred to her manager who tried telling me the same thing!

First off, Avast has free removal tools on their website along with every other company. I used this to take it off and went to the my subscription tab in AVG, clicked my subscription and inserted the info needed. This completely corrected the issue. No extra $$ needed. I'm also very upset that there are no American reps to speak with and all call center agents are outsourced to the Philippines. I have no problems with Filipinos, but our cultures clash. They are NOT friendly and seem untrustworthy. I'll finish my year since they have a no refund policy and switch to another company that values their customers!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AVG Antivirus?

Original review: March 3, 2018

I recently purchased AVG Internet Security with the name Ultimate on the end but it doesn't say that on the software title, was told by customer service it is? Anyway, had trouble loading it on my netbook and called customer service and they obviously were wanting to sell me a tech support package for like $149.00, I believe it was, and I said NO but then got it loaded with better info from a customer service person. This AVG is for more than one computer and so I removed a free version of another brand of antivirus on my other computer, which is a desktop, that was working just fine and installed my purchased version of AVG, after removing the other free version of course. As normal it required the usual reboot only to just get to the desktop and then. Boom it reboots. It soon was apparent the software wasn't going to run and I then returned computer to an earlier time with the restore point.

Again to try and make a long story short, they were trying to run me down that same rabbit hole and soon would've been wanting to sell me tech support again for second time. This reminds me of Norton Internet Security, I used their software for maybe 4 years and it later became buggy and wanted to sell tech support to me and reap profits. I might add that last year when I renewed AVG I was using the free version for a bit and it allowed me to use the AVG Tuneup, what a mistake. My hibernate mode never worked after that. I am done with these dummies, they permanently lost a customer just like Norton did. Oh and, after I purchased this AVG from Best Buy the girl then says, "By the way no returns." From now on I will say, "Okay want a refund but I didn't think I'd have issues with it," boy was I wrong. Don't waste your money. They are not the same company.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

AVG may have been a credible company in the past, but downloading their latest software on my desktop computer, I had the biggest nightmare I have ever experienced, and I hope nobody ever has to deal with it. After downloading their "antivirus" software directly from their site, I executed the installation and was prompted to restart my computer. Following the restart, I logged in as usual, and when my desktop image loaded up, it suddenly backed out and went back to the login screen, saying my "login credentials had expired" and I needed to "use an admin account". Well, being the only user on my computer, I WAS an admin, and I had been locked away from my personal files, business software, and years of work/images/videos potentially gone.

I immediately looked up AVG's number and called them and explained what happened, and was directed through their customer service to create another "User" account using the command line and fancy coding, and eventually they were able to create a new Admin user which showed the software which was downloaded on the computer for all users, but my desktop image and all personal files tied to my personal account were obviously still not accessible. I was then told by the "customer support specialist" that I had to PAY MONEY to get further help in getting back into my user account. I was outraged, they were telling me, "Well we fixed your computer but you want extended help which is going to cost you $129 for a one-time service fee".

They transferred me to a supervisor after I asked for one, and she tried to tell me that my computer was fixed and that any additional issues I was experiencing were due to "other problems on my computer which previously existed". She even had the audacity to say to me "My technician tells me that he was able to get an Admin account created and says that you were able to log in, were you not? I don't understand how AVG is responsible for you not being able to get into your personal files when you just told me you were able to log in..." I was outraged that they were trying to blame me for the problems I was having. I reset my computer every night and this problem was directly tied with the installation of their software. Before they put me on the line with some supposed "supervisor" **, I had asked the computer technician how common of a problem this was, and the guy said this type of thing happens all the time!

I mentioned this to the lady when she was insisting that the problem wasn't caused by their software and that I had to pay, and she said that the computer technician never told me it "was a common issue" and that the problem I was experiencing was a unique one which she had "never seen before" and which her "trusted software" never created. Complete and total **. After playing games with this stupid ** and being tied up with her for over an hour and a half, she finally gave in and shared a phone number for their "customer service" line. I figured she was just getting rid of me with another automated line or something, but it did eventually pick up with a human who simply instructed me to restore to a system restore point (inside the Admin account they created for me) to a time before the software was installed.

So after about 3 or 4 hours I finally had my computer back. However, at some point within the annoying hour and a half where I was talking with this "supervisor" lady who was INSISTING that I had to pay money (going over all her package pricing, etc) I was extremely exasperated. Towards the end I even got to the point where I told her that I would have to file a lawsuit against the company if I was forced to pay money to recover my data from a corporate entity which hijacked the use of my computer in the first place. I asked the lady where the company headquarters were located because I was trying to convince her that I was serious about suing them, really I was just ** her trying to get the help from her without having to pay $100-$200, but when I asked her that she answered that she was in Indonesia and that the company headquarters was in India.

There was a long pause after that where both her and I didn't say anything but mutually understood each other; that there was no chance that I could legally sue scammers located in these parts of the world. And now it makes perfect sense to me why they are not a US-regulated enterprise. Regardless, I told her that if I could not sue, that I would leave scathing reviews of my experience in any location I could possibly find, so that nobody else falls into the trap and has their personal computer hijacked like I did. After telling her this, she said "Oh yea? Oh so you are going to make a serious accusation against me like that? Well then if you are going to accuse us of something like that, that's a really serious type of thing, and we won't help you in that case."

I basically had to lie to her and apologize saying that I was just really frustrated and I wanted her to see how important this was to me, but I reassured her that I wouldn't leave bad reviews. And to be honest, I was planning on keeping my word and I really WASN'T going to leave bad reviews anywhere (even though I should have all along) UNTIL these ENTIRE LAST TWO WEEKS have been non-stop telemarketer abuse on the cell phone that I called her from. My cell phone used to not be that bad for these types of spam calls, but now I get telemarketer calls at least 3-4 times a day and it's strikingly obvious that the "supervisor" ** from AVG put me on their **-list after I made that "threat" to her of TALKING ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE. A-Stay A-Way from AVG. What a NIGHTMARE!!!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Downloaded what was supposed to be free software only to be hit with $60 fee months later. They hid this in 27 pages of legalese and stand by it. This is a total scam. I had no idea I would be billed for something I did not order but they sneak in under the fine print. Scam artists!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

They advertise $39.99 for nearly everything, but after you pay you will find it really doesn't cover much of anything and then AVG will start suggesting you upgrade so you can get the type of service you thought you were getting. If you're dumb enough to try it (I was) you will only get conned again! This time to get all of the professional features you will need to fork over another $20. These guys are a ripoff and their program is mediocre. When my service expires, I will definitely find a better, less expensive security program, and there are lots out there, I just found out after the fact.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I have been a paid customer over ten years with AVG including Internet Security and other programs. Until recently when problems started with staff communications and programs. AVG Security V.P.N. with various cost for same product, then problems downloading, but most important the direct debit. Previous Direct Debit was from AVG Now their accounts I understand are now run by "Digital River Ireland Sydney" (see reviews about this company Trend Micro Home Users Community). This has been listed as a scam. As a result my bank has now closed my account and are investigating. Not to mention the inconvenience this has caused.

I have attempted to inform AVG of this problem, the only way of contacting AVG is by their chat online. This is unsatisfactory when requested for an email address to forward information the answer was it is company policy not to give out email address. Once again very unsatisfactory, it appears this company is not interested in customer feedback. The chat person when I attempted to draw their attention to this problem, I was not treated as a customer should be and the comment constantly throughout the chat was and I quote "Digital River Ireland is a payment gateway company in partnership with AVG." This in turn is not recognized by my bank, as previous direct debits were listed as AVG. Being a Internet Security company one would have thought due to any critical changes to Direct Debit Paying customers would have been notified in person. Not a happy Camper.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I downloaded their sad CCleaner ripoff for a free trial to stop the pop ups that happened every time I tried to use their product. As it was a ripoff of a superior product. I canceled the service the same day. One month later, AVG removed 49.99 from my bank account. I take time out of my day to call AVG, again, to cancel my service. AVG returns the money. I check my account 5 days later and see AVG has deducted 49.99 from my PayPal account. Another call and 2 online chats with AVG get me nothing. They admit that yes I have canceled service, but they are going to have to "investigate" to see why they can't stop taking my money. AVG says I will have to be in the negative with my PayPal account until they figure out where they have messed up. I will never use AVG again, and it now my mission to let everyone I can know how shady AVG operates. DO NOT USE.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I purchased this software last year and was happy to use it and I believe it served me well. What I hate about AVG are the constant ads to buy more and more products. I find their harassing techniques to be aggravating, annoying and downright unprofessional. If you decide not to renew for another year, the ads increase to three a day with enticements and threats. When I chatted with their representative to complain about all these ads, he stated that "No one is forcing you to buy our software." He is right... and I won't. Not worth the hassle or loss of peace-of-mind. They have chased away this previously satisfied customer.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I've been using AVG for well over 10 years. Over the weekend, my computer caught a virus that's blocking internet connection and preventing AVG from launching. I've spoken to AVG via chat. Of course you're getting reps from India. And I don't have an issue with that. But because they're outsourced staff, they really don't listen to what your problem is. Apparently AVG can no longer fix problems if you cannot connect online. NO problem though. There are plenty of antivirus companies that can.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Over the years I've noticed the degradation of AVG - the deluge of pop-ups, sub-par performance in their UI, etc. Last night I finally decided to uninstall it... to find it was taking up 18.5 gigs of space. Granted, I'm running with 2.5 tb of space so 20 gigs is a drop in the bucket, but still. A few years ago it was barely 185 mb. This morning, after deciding to let Windows Defender helm the wheel with Malwarebytes as back-up while I did some research and talked to my full stack dev guy on what he uses and why, it spots what AVG scans have missed for, oh, SIX MONTHS? Windows Defender picked up Trojan.Poweliks that AVG had been missing on its full scan every week, on a quick scan. Run Malwarebytes and it spots roughly 41 instances of where this trojan has replicated itself. I would recommend skipping AVG. It's essentially adware at this point.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I had AVG antivirus protection yrs ago and had cancelled my subscription back in 2015. I just noticed a charge of 69.99 on my credit card bill this year. I don't notice it last year so they have been billing me for 2 years. They said they had send me an email informing me of the auto renewal to an email that I no longer even had which gives no choice to stop them. I have made over 10 calls to them and they emailed me back with one employee refusing to refund any money and another email says they will only refund this year's charge. So who do I believe. I believe this is a great injustice and should be stopped. I have read that companies like this are charging people for the rest of their lives for auto renewal even after they have cancelled their subscriptions. This is just wrong! I warn anyone who ever pushes a auto renewal button or that would even consider using AVG. They are thieves.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I have AVG software installed for 1 year starting in Sept 2017 thru Sept 2018. I was using my PC when a message said AVG needed to update so I said OK. When the PC restarted I had a screen that said Avast AVG was not valid and I needed a new license and my software had been disabled. After spending an hour with tech support they said Avast software (which is a division of AVG) had disabled AVG and then wanted to charge me to correct the issue. What a scam, beware of AVG... They are crooks from India at best.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I am 86 years old, my complaint is about (AVG eCommerce CY Limited). They took $53.99 out of my PayPal account without any notification to me, not happy with paypal for paying it without my confirmation, my complaint to paypal was answered by, they could not stop that payment, but would stop any future payments, on looking online complaints about AVG there are pages and pages about this behaviour. To me it appears to be a scam, I cannot find on AVG website how to send them a letter of complaint, I am deaf, so I can not ring them.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Not only the antivirus but the maintenance program for both desktop, laptop and iPhone for $40 per year makes it all very affordable. All my electronics are getting old and I still have no desire to replace with AVG watching over them. The anti virus is the free version and to my knowledge I haven't had an issue since using AVG.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Used Norton & McAfee many years ago but had issues with both. Too long ago to remember specifics but have used AVG since (at least 6 years) with no problems. Easy to install & run; doesn't interfere with anything else running. Have never needed to call on their customer service for anything.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

It is an excellent virus protection and if something is detected on my computer, I am usually notified that something is wrong and where to go to correct the problem.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I used a viral antivirus software from the time I owned my first computer. I'm a bit of a technophobic but the program is highly recommend by leading publications. My computer experience goes back to punch cards.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Installation very easy. Simple to use and seems to be effective. Does not overuse resources. A good choice for antivirus and price is great. Nice work and would advise usage.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I subscribed to AVG, after my Norton security let a virus piggyback in on an update of theirs. I haven't had any problems, but their ads are annoying.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I have used AVG forever. I have had no problems with this. I use it on my cellphone, tablet, and laptop. I will definitely renew this again. It's great.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

Even the free version is good. Easy to install is a necessity as I am technologically impaired. And AVG suits my needs and I even understand it. My previous Norton drove me nuts, but it came already installed on the computer.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I have not had any problems since I started using AVG Antivirus. The computer service person I use said I am "well protected". I suppose the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for," but, again, I think most things are overpriced. I highly recommend AVG Antivirus to everyone to use.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I have used AVG antivirus software for over 10 yrs and love it. I started with AVG FREE version but due to better scammers out there, I did switch to a version I pay for.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

These people are from different Countries they don't speak English. They do not refund money for their piss poor software. I have called them over 15 times to get my $21.36 dollar refund. All they do is lie. AVG software is real bad. I went to Norton Software and had excellent service. Don't let them take control of your computer. They deleted all my PDF files and screwed up my email server that had nothing to do with their Bad software. Had my computer fixed by a Professional, and he said don't ever use AVG. He has had a lot of his customers come in with the same issues. So just google their name and you will see all their complaints. Remember they don't refund on their software.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

From my experience, Sonos could not update nor Windows 10. AVG tuneup even at 98% optimized still did not help my PC. I am in no way tech savvy, however since I uninstalled both AVG products, Windows and Sonos have both successfully updated & PC is running like new.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

They offered 71% discount to upgrade from the free version to a year of paid. I bought it and on starting my computer the next day everything was off. I called them and they ran a "supposed" diagnostic scan and, after showing me a page that was supposed to be on my computer and showed things wrong, they said they'd have to fix my computer by remote and, oh, by the way, it's going to cost you $199.00. I told them I suspected a scam and told them I was suspicious. They started talking over me, cutting me off and I uninstalled their software and my computer was fine.

AVG Antivirus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

AVG Technologies specializes in software for consumer and business internet security, personal privacy and identity protection. Founded in 1991, AVG now serves over 200 million monthly active users.

• Works across devices: AVG has developed antivirus software that works on PC, Mac, Windows Phone and Android and iOS phones and tablets.

• Free: AVG’s basic antivirus software is enough to support most basic needs and is free to download. Upgrade to AVG Pro for $59.99 to add a firewall, password protection and more with a 30-day money back guarantee.

• Remote protection: Scan PCs for viruses and remove viruses remotely with your mobile phone.

• Link Scanner: This feature works while you are on a website, Twitter or Facebook. AVG analyzes links in all three places to keep you from clicking on a link that will install malicious software or take you to a criminal website.

• Community and real time protection: When an AVG user encounters a new threat, the software automatically sends updates to protect all users. Outbreak Detection technology finds the newest malware outbreaks in real-time.

• Best for: Individuals and families.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
    Shelley Elmblad

Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

AVG Antivirus Company Information