3.17/5

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Willoughby, Ohio

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

AVG Antivirus Reviews

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I purchased the AVG VPN a few months ago. It worked for awhile, then stopped working. I purchased a valid Activation Code at the time and now the program is telling me it's not valid. I've emailed AVG back and forth for several weeks to no avail. I've followed all the tech support instructions they have given me such as uninstalling and reinstalling the product. I've logged in and the system confirms my subscription but yet it will not allow me to turn the VPN on. Their product is not working and I have requested a refund. This is their response:

"Thank you for contacting AVG. We are sorry to hear that you feel this way, and can understand your frustration. Our hands are tied in this matter as the refund was requested after the 30 day refund period had passed. As a result, we are unable to process a refund. We are bound by our 30 day refund policy, which you may view here. Thank you for your understanding."

The problem is I'M NOT UNDERSTANDING. I want my money refunded. This is the first time I have used a PAID VERSION of any of their programs and it certainly will be the last.

AVG Antivirus response

Hi Robert, we're really concerned about this and want to get to the bottom of the problems you're having. Please either send us a private message here, or contact us via email directly at avg-team@avg.com. It will be helpful if you can provide your registration email as well as any ticket or support case numbers from your contact with our support team. We look forward to getting this straightened out. -AVG Team

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I got a new computer, my first windows desktop in quite some time, and I opted to sign up for a credible antivirus software that would hopefully mitigate one of the windows meltdowns I had experienced in the past. I ran the free AVG antivirus scan and it told me to upgrade to clear some suspicious files on my BRAND NEW computer. That should have been a red flag right there. Anyway, I proceeded with my subscription.

Fast forward a few months and I decided to run another computer scan. I run the scan and the computer goes through three different scans. The last of the three scans detect some suspicious files and sends me to a screen telling me to upgrade my service to remove the files. I quickly notice that the upgrade they are telling me to sign up for is the upgrade I was already subscribed to. I then realized I had run the scan while not being signed into my profile so they did not detect that I had already paid for this functionality in their software. So I sign into my profile and re-run the scan expecting these suspicious files to be removed at the third step.

When I re-run the file I now find there are FOUR SCANS, NOT THE THREE I HAD RUN THE FIRST TIME WHEN NOT SIGNED IN! This time the third scan titled "Advanced Issues", which had originally detected numerous threats to my computer and prompted me to sign up for a subscription, ran through with NO ISSUES DETECTED!! Better yet, the added fourth scan titled "Performance Issues" was run and it now detected "threatening files" which were not covered by the subscription I had already paid for and told me I had to UPGRADE MY SERVICE.

This is complete larceny. They determine what is threatening or not based purely on your subscription status, and then report it in a scan with functionality only accessible to you if you upgrade to their next tier of service. It makes me sick that I paid this company the first time. SAVE YOUR MONEY and go to a different anti-virus software. This is not the AVG I remember from the early 2000's.

Hi, Curtis:

Thanks for your feedback! The difference between the number of scans that were run likely had to do with signing into your subscribed feature set. While we do include some free trials of our other great products in our packages, we do offer the ability to customize them to fit your specific needs by clicking Menu>Settings>General>Troubleshooting>Add/Modify Components. Notifications can also be adjusted by clicking Menu>Settings>General>Personal Privacy.

-AVG Team

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I had the trial version of the premium AVG. When the 30 day free period expired, I chose not to continue with it but kept the free version. Shortly after, I had a major computer meltdown (coincidence?) which I fortunately was able to restore with the exception of my Outlook which I mostly restored. I concluded it was an issue with AVG so I COMPLETELY cleaned/removed my computer of it. What I never would have expected from this company is the obvious retaliation, even if it and its parent company, Avast, are both from Czechoslovakia.

I have several email addresses including two that I rarely use, of which one has NEVER been used in the 5 years I've had it and it's not something typical which a robo-spammer would pick up on. Now all of a sudden, every single one of them is receiving spam which come in series several times a day, with the same content. Another coincidence? Really? I don't think so. What I don't get is, I'm just one user. Why retaliate against one user?

Hi, M:

Thanks for reaching out! While our software would not have caused the issue you experienced, we'd still like to help figure out what happened. Please contact us privately with more details and we'll be happy to investigate further!

-AVG Team

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

They have sent charges to my AmEx card three times in the last week. Twice in one day from two different companies and again yesterday after I called them to make sure my account was cancelled for the second time. The account was cancelled online over a year ago. AmEx has denied the charges. They must have a known problem with AVG.

Hi, Andy:

Thanks for reaching out! We'd like to get more information so we can better assist you. Please contact us privately with your full name, subscribed email address, the number you dialed (to ensure it was genuine AVG Support), the amounts and dates of the charges, and for which products and we'll be happy to help get this resolved for you!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

I went for the free AVG, then got notices for deals on more security. I went ahead and got the Secure VPN. After some research and rethinking I no longer wanted to use AVG. Contacted them and cancelled. I could not believe they emailed me to say more or less "too bad", NO REFUND. Time up on their 30 day policy. They will not prorate. So I am out $48. My opinion, is same as stealing. I will repeat this on BBB website. This is part of the email from AVG. "Generally a 30 days refund policy applies to the purchase of AVG software. If you are not satisfied with your AVG product, you are entitled to a refund, if it is requested within this time period.

Since your request came after the 30 days, we are unable to offer you a refund for your purchase or a prorated refund."

Hi, Sherry:

We're sorry to hear you haven't been entirely pleased with our software and would like to help get it customized to your specific needs. Please contact us privately with any questions and we'll be happy to help!

-AVG Team

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AVG Antivirus?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

AVG has to be the worst ever antivirus. I am so fed up with it, it keeps popping up all the time - I have tried to get rid of it several times but there is nothing on the program that I can delete it. It seeMS THAT THIS PROGRAM HAS ME TRAPPED.

Hi, Marie:

We're concerned to hear this and would like to help! Please contact us privately and let us know what is popping up and what troubleshooting steps you took to resolve the issue so we can better assist you.

-AVG Team

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

I purchased the service agreement and AVG protection plan for two years around $350. Ever since they installed everything via remote access my contracts which can be up to 90 plus pages, can no longer print from laptop to printer. I spent 57 minutes on the phone with Rod this evening, then waited for a call for 17-min for a more technical supervisor to help me. The guy that I was finally transferred to kept speaking over me telling me what had been done. Obviously, I was more knowledgeable on the sequence of event, as he misrepresented them. I just wanted the issue resolved in a timely manner, as agreed when I purchased the service. He seemed very confused in his English and appeared agitated and irritated with the complexity of the problem. I've used AVG for many years, but will seek a more reputable resource that honors their commitment to quality service.

Hi, Daniel:

Thanks for your feedback! We'd like to get this issue resolved as well as ensure you were speaking with genuine AVG support. Please contact us privately with more details including the number you dialed, any support ticket you may have received, and troubleshooting steps that were taken to resolve the issue and we'll be happy to assist!

-AVG Team

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

Blocks my needed vpn, has no live support to get help, my computer is worse since installing, tries to take over, not user friendly, I paid for a year and now it tries to still sell me upgrades. Doesnt install on other devices!! They give you the free one for phone etc,. Over all terrible.

Hi, Doug:

We want to help clear up any confusion! While we do occasionally notify our customers of our other products, these can be adjusted by clicking Menu>Settings>General>Personal Privacy and unchecking the corresponding boxes. Under Troubleshooting, clicking Add/Remove Components will allow you to further customize our software. We're limited by how many characters for our response. Please contact us privately and we'll be happy to help with your other issues.

-AVG Team

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

Two months ago, I have subscribed to the free trial for 60 days, expiring on 22 oct 2019.. Today 18 Oct, I have notified that the automatic renewal has been renewed and charged 69.99$ before I was going to cancel it.. that was surprising for me and that leads me to try to request a refund.

Hi, Ahmed:

Thanks for reaching out! We apologize for the inconvenience and would be happy to assist in getting this resolved for you. Please contact us privately with your full name, subscribed email address, the details of the charge (amount, date, product, etc), and the date it was supposed to expire.

-AVG Team

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

Tried to uninstall AVG but it wouldn't uninstall the entire program. I tried to delete it from the registry but it had embedded itself so much into it I could not possibly get it all. What's worse, was I tried to look up "uninstalling AVG" and the program actually blocked me from viewing these sites. Eventually I had to completely rest Windows 10 back to the beginning and reinstall all of my programs again.

Hi, Bryan:

Thanks for reaching out! Our software was not designed to block you from searching for the uninstall instructions on our site, so we would like to learn more about what you experienced and what kind of editing was performed prior to this highly unusual behavior. Please contact us privately with more details.

AVG Antivirus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

AVG Technologies specializes in software for consumer and business internet security, personal privacy and identity protection. Founded in 1991, AVG now serves over 200 million monthly active users.

• Works across devices: AVG has developed antivirus software that works on PC, Mac, Windows Phone and Android and iOS phones and tablets.

• Free: AVG’s basic antivirus software is enough to support most basic needs and is free to download. Upgrade to AVG Pro for $59.99 to add a firewall, password protection and more with a 30-day money back guarantee.

• Remote protection: Scan PCs for viruses and remove viruses remotely with your mobile phone.

• Link Scanner: This feature works while you are on a website, Twitter or Facebook. AVG analyzes links in all three places to keep you from clicking on a link that will install malicious software or take you to a criminal website.

• Community and real time protection: When an AVG user encounters a new threat, the software automatically sends updates to protect all users. Outbreak Detection technology finds the newest malware outbreaks in real-time.

• Best for: Individuals and families.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
      Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

AVG Antivirus Company Information