3.26/5

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Willoughby, Ohio

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

AVG Antivirus Reviews

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

Tried to uninstall AVG but it wouldn't uninstall the entire program. I tried to delete it from the registry but it had embedded itself so much into it I could not possibly get it all. What's worse, was I tried to look up "uninstalling AVG" and the program actually blocked me from viewing these sites. Eventually I had to completely rest Windows 10 back to the beginning and reinstall all of my programs again.

Hi, Bryan:

Thanks for reaching out! Our software was not designed to block you from searching for the uninstall instructions on our site, so we would like to learn more about what you experienced and what kind of editing was performed prior to this highly unusual behavior. Please contact us privately with more details.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

I bought a 2 year subscription after reviving email from them. Email clearly stated that add ons of DRIVER UP DATEM and PC TUNERS were included free. I even clicked on ADD in the form and costs came up $0.00. I spent more than two hours trying to get this corrected with them. End result is that the email was not as stated and if I wanted those items it would be extra. I even went through the email offer with them. They basically said that it was not what is stated. I have used the free version for years. This will be the last time I use them.

Your order, plus other common purchases.
      AVG Internet Security AVG Internet Security i
      AVG Driver Updater i

$39.99 $0.00

Total: $159.99

Hi, Albert:

Thanks for reaching out! We'd like to learn more about the experience you had as well as the email you received. Please contact us privately with more details and we'll be happy to help get this resolved for you.

-AVG Team

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I did a “free” trial for AVG Tuneup. It did nothing to speed up my computer so I turned off auto-renew. I got billed anyways. I had insufficient funds in my account so I got hit with $29 NSF fee from my credit union. I assumed my bank covered the difference so I requested a refund from AVG. I got an email confirming my refund would be processed. I called AVG about the NSF fee and was told my refund needed to processed first before providing additional help. I was also told I was still subscribed in spite of 2 attempts to terminate my account, one involving direct customer support. I later got an email from PayPal that AVG’s billing service would reattempt to bill me in a few days and to ensure I had funds in my account. I contacted AVG and was reassured I would not be billed again.

I was billed again, hit with another NSF fee and the PayPal took the AVG refund as reimbursement for billing I was assured would not happen. AVG support treated me like I was lying--claiming the money was actually being added to my account, not taken out. I eventually had to request to speak to management. I provided her with screenshots from my bank and copies of emails, a letter from PayPal explaining that on their end how Digital River billed me on behalf of AVG multiple times and AVG correspondence.

I was told someone would contact me within 5 business days. It's been over 5 weeks. I sent a follow-up email. No reply. If I had added the money to my account to prevent a second NSF fee they would have taken more of my money and never gave it back and not be bothered with responding to the fact that there are some problems with billing system they may or may not be aware of that would have totaled $108.00 for a service I’m not even subscribed to. My guess is when this sort of thing happens customer service that people just give up. This comes at a time when I’ve been hit with emergency medical expenses and I have wasted several hours a week from my already strapped schedule calling my bank, PayPal, and AVG trying to get this situation resolved.

After seeing other complaints here about people with cancellations, I have no reason to believe this won't happen again this time next year even though I have supposedly been removed from their system. While I am not entitled to a full refund, the fact that 2 attempts to cancel my subscription failed even with customer support intervention costing me money I desperately need right now.

I do not recommend any of AVG services-- I’m clearly not the only person who had trouble canceling my subscription. I've also learned they sell your search history, overall malware protection is mediocre at best and has caused significant problems for paid members computer function. Throw in random pop-ups that slow down your computer designed to scare you into buying more protection. Save yourself the struggle and google best free & paid antivirus software to find something better for your computer.

Hi Anna,

We're concerned about this and would like to resolve the issue. Please email us directly at avg-team@avg.com or private message us here — it will be very helpful if you can provide information about your purchase (purchase email, license info) as well as your interactions with support (support emails or case number).

We'll investigate what happened and work with you directly to get things all set.

Thank you for your patience and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

AVG Team

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

I’ve been an AVG user for years, at $99.00 per year. The more recent software has continuous, fear based pop ups, always leading towards buying another of their products. It really is extremely intrusive. Because of these pop ups I actually bought the same software that I already had on my computer. How is that even possible??

I only became aware months later, when I got an email reminding me of automatic deduction coming up the following month, for my original yearly subscription. After emailed them, giving all details, asking for a refund, they not once answered my questions, just told me how they cared, which they obviously didn’t. They just reminded me of their refund policy with typical corporate language. Suffice to say I will not be using AVG again.

Hi, Steve:

Thanks for reaching out! We'd like to investigate what happened. Please contact us privately with your full name, contact email address, support ticket information (if you received any), and which products were involved so we can look into this for you.

-AVG Team

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I have been an AVG customer for more than 4 years. I had the AVG products removed from all of my devices and replaced after discovering 6 viruses on my primary laptop. Last night, I initiated the "Unsubscribe" process. After waiting over 2 hours to receive a notification that the process had been completed, I discovered that it could take up to 24 hours. There is NO justification for that time lag. Needless to say, it did NOT take that long. However, I just noticed that the expiration dates all occur AFTER the next scheduled renewal. If I am charged, I will file a complaint with the Texas Attorney General's office and the Federal Trade Commission.

Hi, Regina:

We're sorry to see you go and would like to learn more about the viruses you stated you found as we take your security and protection from viruses very seriously! Please contact us privately with more details. To address your concerns about our renewal process, we send an email to our customers approximately 1 month prior to the end of their subscription. Billing occurs approximately 2 weeks prior to the end of the subscription to avoid any interruption in service.

-AVG Team

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AVG Antivirus?

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

We tried AVG free and liked it. As a result, we bought the Internet security from Staples, and installed it when the free trial expired. As with other reviewers, it kept reverting to the expired free version after a day or so. When we called Avg, the representative tried to upsell a repair and maintenance package. We were told that our computer had problems. We had not noticed any at all, and their free version worked fine. I expressed my dismay at being up sold but was told that it was their policy. When I asked the rep to disconnect from my computer, he did not and was argumentative. If a security company tries to separate you from your money, there is a problem. Refusing to disconnect is a serious problem. Tallying over a customer, just rude. I am going back to my former Internet security. Wish I had read the reviews.

Hi, Dagmar:

Thank you for reaching out! We'd like to ensure you were speaking with genuine AVG support! Please contact us privately with the number you dialed. Additionally, our software simply needs to be registered once installed in order to access your upgraded feature set. Please let us know if you registered the software after installation prior to the issue you experienced, or if you require assistance with the registration process, and we'll be happy to help!

-AVG Team

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

I have fully paid-up subscriptions to AVG Business and AVG TuneUp, yet I keep getting email saying they are expiring (they aren't) and I need to buy more. They inundate me with yet more emails suggesting I buy products I ALREADY HAVE. I have attempted to resolve this sensibly by writing to them. All I get are platitudes and more emails saying BUY. When my current subscription expires, I shall be moving elsewhere.

Hi, Peter:

Thanks for providing your feedback! We'd like to help get this sorted out for you. Please contact us privately with your full name, email address, and what date is being listed in the emails and we'll be happy to look into it!

-AVG Team

Original review: June 14, 2019

I contacted AVG because my paid subscription for anti-virus protection had suddenly reverted to AVG-Free. After restoring the full version, the tech said I should purchase their premium plan to clean-up the system and enhance performance. I said I didn't need it. She kept pushing - I said that even the 3-month package was more than I was prepared to buy. She said "What if I give you a discount? How about $50?" I decided to try it out, I paid and she turned the call over to another tech. The tech did "something", said everything was good. The next day, my computer would not load past the welcome step. When I phoned again the tech fiddled around for an hour and started it remotely. The next time I rebooted the machine, the same thing happened.

This time I was told that this was my last day of support (2 weeks not the 3 months that the first person had indicated I was buying). When I explained that the problem had been caused by their tech (which they did not dispute) and wanted them to extend the support time, their response was that they had solved the original problem and so that was all they had to do.

I finally talked to a supervisor who very condescendingly said I could have ONE phone call in the next two week period without have to give them more money. The appropriate response would have been "Don't worry about the time, we'll work with you to make sure that the problem is solved." If the problem is in fact fixed, there would be no more calls and this response would cost them zero dollars; if the problem is not fixed they would be acting responsibly and correcting the error. (Imagine taking your car to a mechanic to have the brakes adjusted, having him accidentally damage the engine and then saying "I fixed the brakes so I don't have to do anything else.")

Since then I have noticed several AVG services running on my system that I do not recall seeing before. One is avgbIDSAgent, the other is AVG Service. If I understand correctly, neither one is necessary for virus protection or internet security, but both are large resource consumers. Shut down and start up on my machine are much slower than before AVG made changes to the system. In addition, the network printer which is still installed as the default printer no longer is automatically selected by the text editor I regularly use (I have located and fixed the problem). At this point it is unlikely that I will use my ONE call to clean-up the remaining problems since I have no idea what might happen the next time AVG connects to my machine. If necessary, I will find a reputable local tech and pay to have the work done.

In all, I spoke to 6 technical support people. The techs refused to listen to me explain the actual problem and kept interrupting and wanting to solve some problem that they know how to fix. They gave no credible explanation of what had caused the problem (original or AVG-caused). Instead, they kept telling me that: 1. My machine is old. 2. My software is old. 3. I click too many things. 4. My expectations are too high (this was after about the fourth or fifth "fiddle and reboot" and programs which I use all the time were grindingly slow). 5. There are too many programs starting up (start up had not been a problem before AVG worked on the system). 6. And whatever the problem is, it's not them.

I have been developing computer software for decades and do understand how a computer works and am perfectly capable of discussing problems with a technician. In fact, I received an email from one tech thanking me for the clarity of my description of the problem he was helping me solve - he listened. To sum up, the technical support was mediocre at best, the customer support extremely poor and the sales technique misleading.

Hi, Bonne:

Thanks for reaching out! We're very concerned to hear this and would like to look into it further. Please contact us privately with your full name, contact email address, support ticket information, the number you dialed (so we can ensure you were speaking with genuine AVG Support), billing information (amount and name listed on the charge), and any additional details about the issue your system is experiencing.

-AVG Team

Original review: June 3, 2019

Well looks like everyone is in the same boat. I have been using AVG for years and always paid after receiving a invoice. This time I was charged out of the blue. Good luck calling. When I rang to complain the guy hung up on me after he tried to tell me I must have given permission to. Looks like it might be time for a new Anti-Virus.

Hi, Jonathan:

Thanks for reaching out! We send email reminders 30 days prior to the end of our customers' subscription period, then submit the charge 2 weeks prior to the end to ensure no loss of service. We'd like to find out what happened in your case. Please contact us privately with your full name, subscribed email address, which product this was for, and any support ticket information you may have received so we can investigate further.

-AVG Team

Original review: May 12, 2019

My laptop was hacked twice in spite of having AVG. Also after I had advised AVG to cancelled the automatic subscription they just deducted from my card next 12 month subscription.

Hi, Grad:

Thanks for reaching out! We're concerned to hear you had this experience and would like to get more details about what happened. Please contact us privately and we'll be happy to help!

AVG Antivirus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

AVG Technologies specializes in software for consumer and business internet security, personal privacy and identity protection. Founded in 1991, AVG now serves over 200 million monthly active users.

• Works across devices: AVG has developed antivirus software that works on PC, Mac, Windows Phone and Android and iOS phones and tablets.

• Free: AVG’s basic antivirus software is enough to support most basic needs and is free to download. Upgrade to AVG Pro for $59.99 to add a firewall, password protection and more with a 30-day money back guarantee.

• Remote protection: Scan PCs for viruses and remove viruses remotely with your mobile phone.

• Link Scanner: This feature works while you are on a website, Twitter or Facebook. AVG analyzes links in all three places to keep you from clicking on a link that will install malicious software or take you to a criminal website.

• Community and real time protection: When an AVG user encounters a new threat, the software automatically sends updates to protect all users. Outbreak Detection technology finds the newest malware outbreaks in real-time.

• Best for: Individuals and families.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
      Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

AVG Antivirus Company Information