1.08/5

formerly Norton Antivirus

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Norton offers online protection for your computer, tablet or smartphone. Choose from a variety of plans starting at just $5.99 depending on your needs. New plans offer LifeLock Identity Theft Protection and enhanced security for all your devices to give you the peace of mind that your personal data is kept secure.

736 Norton Security Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

My subscription doesn't expire for over a year. I have auto-renew turned off. But today I was alerted that my card had been charged and that my account had been already renewed. I'm not sure what kind of game Norton is playing. It seems they are trying to catch people not paying attention and charging their card. The fact that my subscription is good for over a year and on top of that, I have auto-renew turned off (I verified), I feel like Norton was trying to pull one over on me. With that, after this subscription ends, I will move on from Norton. I do not support these types of business practices.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I had changed my credit card information a couple of time throughout the year and Norton's auto renew was unable to charge my card 30 days ahead of renewal as the pop ups they utilized reminded me of 600 plus times. I gave up and loaded up my card info thinking it would be 29.99 because that is the only price mentioned in my billing history or account information. Cap One sent me a notification saying I had been charged 93.87. I got on their live chat, live from India and I was repeatedly told the "email told me what it would cost". These "emails" were literally sent after I made contact with the agent and were a super slimy way of covering this up and it isn't really even effective because the date and time are there too. I don't get it.

This agent did nothing and I had to call in and get pretty heated with another Indian agent just to get a refund confirmation which I am not entirely sure is legit because I seen no change on my Cap One page. I have been using Norton religiously for years without even considering alternatives but I'm done. Unless of course I don't get my refund then I guess I have 379 days to be upset. Why did you do this to me Norton?! Even with a refund you made me fight for it and sound like a total jerk when you supposedly have a no hassle return policy.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I can't access the Norton app on my laptop due to some glitch. Customer service hasn't fixed the problem despite multiple calls. I now have no viral protection because the last rep I spoke with uninstalled it in an attempt to fix the issue. On my last call, I had to tell the rep that I needed to get off the phone because he kept me on the phone for nearly 2 1/2 hours as he remotely did the same actions on my computer over and over again and to no avail. I am due to get a call back from the senior IT team. Was told that it would take 1-2 days but after reaching out after two days to find out what's happening, was told that for some cases, it takes longer in which they can't provide an ETA. Dealing with Norton has been the worst customer service experience ever. Would be helpful to have a phone number to call to speak to a live person in the USA, not overseas and well as work with someone skilled enough to be able to fix the issue.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I was infected with a hijacked search engine called G-Search Pro. Norton couldn't' find it or eliminate it. Geek Squad and Apple pros couldn't either. All the online suggestions didn't work (it does not appear in the apps so you can't delete it there; it is hidden). In desperation I tried a new software which claimed it could get rid of this malware called Combo Clean. First run it got rid of it. It also found 5 adware infections Norton also didn't' find. Norton you are slipping. Why should anyone use your product when there are better ones out there. You should add G Search Pro to your items.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 22, 2019

I had paid to put Norton on my Aunt's computer, but she became too old to use the computer so I cancelled it about two years ago. They charged me anyhow last year and I contacted and got it reversed. They charged me again this year even though cancelled, so I had to go to my credit card company to open a fraud dispute and get the credit card number changed, which is a huge inconvenience as I'll have to change it everywhere. I will never use a Norton product again, and I used to be a loyal customer.

Norton Security response
Hello Mark,
I hope this message finds you well. Just wanted to send a quick note to check if you had a chance to go over our reply to your review asking for more information. Could you check your private message at your convenience and get back to us with the requested information? We will be more than happy to help.

You may also reach us through various other support options provided at: www.norton.com/contactcs.

Raj

Norton LifeLock Member Services & Support

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Norton Security?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 20, 2019

Norton will not allow me to change my auto renewal option to do not auto renew. Norton billed my Visa $139.99 plus tax on May 22, 2019 for 3 devices for 1 year. It's now July 20, 2019 and my Norton account page where I am supposed to have the option turn off the auto renewal still show as "Authorization Pending". I've written to Norton without response. Norton grossly over charges when auto renewing for services that could have been purchased at a fraction of the cost. I can not recommend Norton because of their dishonest and unethical business practices. Shame on you Norton.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I had been an auto renew member with Norton for several years. My subscription was to renew in June, 2019 and so in May of 2019 I contacted Norton to cancel my subscription. On July 1, 2019 checking my credit card account I found that Norton had charged my account $116.58 for another 13 months (390 days) on June 16, 2019. I then proceeded to contact Norton again and that I should have never been charged since I canceled a month before. Norton employee said that I still had 381 days left on my subscription and the best they would do is give me a 50% credit. I said that this was not right but they would not budge. Do not trust them on a cancellation request. Go into your My Account and delete any credit cards or checking accounts for payment so Norton is not able to steal from you.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I called to cancel my subscription last year. At that time, I requested my auto-renew be cancelled and the charge reversed. I was told that they would do so. Imagine my surprise this year when I noticed I was still paying for Norton! The company refused to refund the fees they took after my cancellation even though per their records the last time I used the product was 2017. All the while trying to cancel for good, they were not the least bit apologetic and even tried to continue selling me -- aggressively -- on a renewal. Norton's sales and billing practices are untrustworthy. I will never do business with them again. Beware of getting caught in their web with any subscription plan.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I had to pick one star, or I was not able to leave this review; they deserve no stars! At one time, many of us had AOL (America Online) email accounts, right? Then, AOL became outdated and many of us moved on to Gmail and other services. I purchased a subscription to Norton Antivirus through my AOL email account back in the 1990's, but when Gmail came along, I wanted to switch to their better platform and services. So, in 2008 I canceled my AOL email account and opened a Gmail account; at the same time I moved my Norton Antivirus over to my new Gmail account and closed it on AOL. Sounds pretty simple, right? Flash forward to October/November of 2018 when I decided to no longer subscribe to Norton Antivirus on my computer through my Gmail account, I went online and clicked "unsubscribe" and all was good. Not so fast...

In December of 2018 a charge showed up on my credit card from Norton/Symantec. I checked my Gmail and confirmed that I had indeed cancelled my monthly subscription, then I called my credit card company to dispute the charge. A few weeks later, I received a letter from my credit card company, they had attached a letter from Symantec/Norton stating that I had not cancelled my subscription. It went on to state "If Customer needs further assistance, we would kindly direct them to our Norton Support Center via the following website". So I contacted Norton support immediately.

To my surprise, guess what I found out! My subscription through my Gmail account had been canceled, BUT they were showing that the charge was for an account on another email address, AOL! As I stated earlier, I had closed that AOL account when I transferred my Norton Antivirus from my AOL account to my Gmail account in 2008. So, for ten years, I was being billed on the same credit card for TWO Norton subscriptions; all the I while thinking the charges were only for one account, what company would ever double charge you....NORTON SYMANTEC!

After over two months on the phone with Norton Symantec, speaking with countless associates, supervisors and their supervisors, I had to repeat my story EVERY time I called. This sounds like a simple issue to all us regular folks, DOUBLE BILLING a customer for the same service is illegal; but apparently not to a billion dollar company like Norton Symantec with all their fine print, red tape and unscrupulous billing methods! After two months of being sent around in circles at Norton, guess what they offered me? They offered to mail me a check for $199.98, that's right, it equals a month and a half of what they had illegally charged me over 10 years!

Corporate thievery wins out again, at the expense of us consumers. Norton Symantec should be ASHAMED of their billing and customer service practices. The amount of money they took from me looks small to them, but it keeps food on my family's table and a roof over our head. If they only realized how hard we all work to survive... Do the right thing Norton Symantec, it is what is JUST and what us consumers deserve.

Original review: June 17, 2019

I had discontinued my subscription to Norton Antivirus for at least a couple of years and had uninstalled all Norton related software on my computer. However, Norton continues to reinstall itself on my computer. I don't understand how they are able to do this without my permission or my taking actions to install their software. The fact they are able to install themselves onto my computer without my permission is alarming. That seems to be the same way how virus gets onto people's computers. Norton is supposed to be an antivirus program and yet it is doing the exact thing their antivirus program is supposed to prevent and block. While it does not appear Norton has charged me, their practice seems predatory and viral. Norton needs to stop this practice. This is why I stopped subscribing to Norton in the first place.

Norton Security response
Hello Jane,

I hope you’re doing well. I have responded to your review through a private message. If you have any further questions, please reply back to our private message at your convenience. We will be more than happy to help. You may also reach us through various other support options provided on our website.

Raj

Norton LifeLock Member Services & Support

Norton Security expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Norton Antivirus has been protecting computers since 1982 and was purchased by the software development company Symantec in 1991. The Norton Security division offers antivirus and other security solutions for home and business.

• Works across devices: Norton Security works across all PCs, Macs, smartphones and tablets, but you will have to upgrade to the deluxe or premium version to protect multiple devices. Annual subscriptions range from $59.99 to $89.99 across three versions, and discounts are offered for the first year of protection.

• Norton Power Eraser: If you suspect that traces of malware remain after scanning your computer, you can use the Power Eraser to restart your computer and then dig even deeper to detect the most aggressive malware.

• Strong anti-phishing: Norton uses several layers of security to detect fraudulent websites that try to steal your personal information. This stops identity theft.

• Award winning software: Over the years, Norton has been awarded by PC Magazine as a top choice in antivirus software. Awards were granted after thorough testing.

• 100% guarantee: If Norton Security can’t clean a virus from your computer or device at any time during your subscription, you will get your money back.

• Best for: Individuals and businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Norton Security (formerly Norton Antivirus) Company Information