Norton Security Visit Website
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

formerly Norton Antivirus

Visit Website
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.11/5

Norton offers online protection for your computer, tablet or smartphone. Choose from a variety of plans starting at just $5.99 depending on your needs. New plans offer LifeLock Identity Theft Protection and enhanced security for all your devices to give you the peace of mind that your personal data is kept secure.

BOTTOM LINE

Norton Security offers comprehensive digital protection services, from malware to ID theft protection, for one monthly price.

PROS

• ID theft protection services
  • Virus protection promise
  • Affordable plans

CONS

• Covers limited number of devices

Top Norton Security Reviews

This is the only antivirus I've used for the last twenty years and it's always kept in good stead. Thumbs up. I would recommend this without reservation.

I have used other software in the past and always ended up regretting that decision. Overall Norton has been the best for me. Their customer support is very helpful and 24 hours.

Norton Security Visit Website

Norton Security features

Depending on which plan you select, Norton offers a variety of services to protect your devices and personal information. Their virus protection promise guarantees a full refund if their software catches a virus and their US-based restoration team can't remove it.

Plan features include:

• Lost wallet protection
  • Credit monitoring
  • SSN and credit alerts
  • Data breach notifications
  • Bank and credit card activity alerts
  • Fictitious identity monitoring
  • Court records scanning
  • 401k and investment alerts

In addition to these features, plans each offer a level of reimbursement for losses due to identity theft. Called the Million Dollar Protection Package, the feature includes stolen fund reimbursement starting at $25,000 and coverage for up to 1 million in legal fees.

Comparing Norton Security plans

The three most popular plans offered by Norton Security are the Standard, Deluxe and Select plans. While they have much in common, there are key differences in their parental control, ID theft protection and cloud storage.

PlanStandardDeluxeSelect
Standard10GB1$7.99
Deluxe50GB5$9.99
Select100GB5$14.99

Norton Security cost

Norton’s security packages range from $8 - $35 per month, or $40 - $260 per year. If you opt to pay annually, you can save up to $90 on the total cost.

Do we recommend Norton Security?

If you're worried about your digital devices or identity theft, we think Norton Security is an excellent option. Their partnership with LifeLock expands the scope of their offerings, allowing them to serve multiple areas of your life with one streamlined service. Affordable plans are available, and comprehensive options exist for added protection. Bonus features like cloud storage and parental control make Norton a great go-to for most digital security needs.

Norton Security Reviews

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

Purchased Norton 360 Deluxe in June of 2019. Entered into a non renewable contract for year until July 2020. They renewed subscription in January 2020 without authorization. After speaking with rep they offered a 70 percent refund and could not see that my subscription was valid until July of 2020. They confirmed account was not set up for automatic renewal but processed the 104 dollar charge anyway. I asked that they reverse the charge and they came back saying they would but that my Norton would be removed from my computer. They have voided the contract I have with them through July of 2020. This practice needs to be stopped.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

Norton deserves zero stars. In order to install Norton Antivirus on your computer it appeared that you are required to enter your credit card information to proceed with the install, very clever on Norton's part. I tried entering a false credit card number, but the system did not accept it. I entered a false credit card expire date and a false CVV number, knowing that those clowns were going to pull this stunt. I cancelled my automatic renewal on the web site, however they charged my card anyway for $104.99. I complained to Mastercard, but they said that Norton forces the charge through the system, even with the wrong exp. date and CVV number. Spent an hour on Norton's chat line to try to cancel. Norton tried everything they could to make this more difficult and to change my mind. They then sent me an email stating that the subscription would be cancelled at the end of another 12 months.

Then I phoned Norton 1-888-680-2809 and got the runaround from them. They wanted remote access to my computer to uninstall Norton, after which they would refund. Fat chance that I would let that happen. They hung up twice on me. Called back from another phone, got another person and they finally gave me the number of Norton Billing Department 1-877-294-5265. Jackie was very pleasant and within 1 minute she stated that I would get a full refund for the renewal I did not request. She even sent me an email to confirm the cancellation and refund. I am going to report my credit card lost to Mastercard so Norton doesn't pull this stunt again in 12 months. I am not even sure if Norton Antivirus even flipping works. Controlling the masses through fear! I should have done some research before loading Norton Antivirus. Too soon old, too late smart.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

They bill your credit card for renewal even though you stated NO AUTO RENEWAL. Then you have to try to get your money back after you learn of the renewal that was done for TWICE the price of other co.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

Norton is a scourge among even notorious internet and data security products aimed at the mass market. It acts much more like a virus than any virus it could possibly keep from your computer. Every single day it will remind you to renew, like a pop-up ad you can never ad block. Even once you finally uninstall the product there are still some background processes you can't get rid of unless you really know how. There are countless stories about how these people scam you out of money you don't consent to with invasive and manipulative policies that of course no one would read. Because if anyone did read them no one would ever buy this garbage product. I highly recommend you never consider installing Norton and recommend your friends and family also stay away from this curse of a product.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

After years of using NAV and as usual I waited for a sale of the latest version of Norton Antivirus at Staples. Returned home and tried to install the software. The software key was included but when I tried to activate it I couldn't without entering credit card details. But I've already bought the product. No Norton say, you've only bought a subscription as stated on the box (in very small letters), without your credit details they wont allow activation. Not going to happen.. called their help line, tried to speak to a service (joke) representative, couldn't understand what they were saying. Gave up and returned the box to Staples who refunded the funds without any problems, apparently I wasn't the first. Now using Bitdefender. It would seem that the decision makers in Norton have descended to the "never mind the quality, feel the width" business school. One step away from scam artists.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Norton Security?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

They automatically renewed my subscription for a year yesterday WITHOUT my consent at a price three times the amount of last year! Called customer service multiple times asking why. Spoke with a Matthew and Louis (manager) who refused to reverse the charges. Then lied to me and said the charge was removed. Then said my bank automatically paid them at my request?!?! Total liars. I had cancelled this in Feb 2019 and was surprised to see the $113.42 charge. No one speaks clear English. Refused to transfer me to United States Representative - said they needed 2 different phone numbers to leave a message for someone in Ireland to call me back in 24 - 48 hours. Total scam - has to file a fraud issue on my card. Next contact is BBB.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I called and talked to Mike concerning a renewal on our account. I had turned off automatic renewal Jan. 7. He informed me our Visa card had already been billed for $119.99, but he could give us a credit for $54.55, while taking the remaining amount for our next year’s charge. I told him we had turned off the auto renewal, and needed to check that charge before I committed to anything. When I checked the charge on our visa, the transaction was there, dated today.... Seems like a conflict that ironically the charge was initiated today! I called back and talked to Maria who apologized for the situation, and said they are supposed to value their customers. She is taking the charge off our credit card. We have had Norton for years, but when our year is over, March 9th, we are done. (Case #**)

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

I never before in my life wanted to throw my PC out in the garbage, but this app made it almost happen. Installed the app from the site. Typed in my code, it seems to work. 4 Days later, my dad gets a laptop and I use the same code (It's one for 5 end devices) and it suddenly said after DOWNLOADING IT TWICE, that it used his first license. Then I went back to my PC to check and it didn't use the license for which I literally had to type the code in. I had to Re-install Norton not once, not twice, but THREE times before it actually used my code. I had to restart my PC three times too. It gave me so much stress I just wanted to ask for a re-fund and buy an actual working anti-virus whose instructions actually work.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I used Norton for protection against computer viruses for many years and never had a problem – until now. Renewing my subscription was always a 2-minute affair, nice and easy. But this year, after entering the new product key, they redirected me to a billing site to pay again for an already paid product. And not only do they want me to pay again, the price went up by 56% (!), again: for a product I paid in full. There is no way around it. As I rarely give out my credit card number and even less so on-line, I refused to do so and now I am glad I didn’t. So this is where I cut my losses: I lost 25 Euro on the new but useless subscription and Norton lost a customer of many years. It is time to move on from that scamming factory!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

They automatically renewed my subscription for a year yesterday WITHOUT my consent at a price three times the amount of last year! Calling customer service this morning was a nightmare! Called nine different times to try to get someone I could understand in English with no success. Asked to transfer me to a US representative and they told me there were none! What???? I will be notifying my bank to NEVER, EVER allow Norton to charge anything to my credit card (officially blocked at my bank!) and will NEVER, EVER use this company again. McAfee does not do this and I will be going with them from now on. Thievery and dishonesty!

Norton Security (formerly Norton Antivirus) Company Information