1.24/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Norton offers online protection for your computer, tablet or smartphone. Choose from a variety of plans starting at just $5.99 depending on your needs. New plans offer LifeLock Identity Theft Protection and enhanced security for all your devices to give you the peace of mind that your personal data is kept secure.

714 Norton Security (formerly Norton Antivirus) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 11, 2019

Norton Internet Security Premium for 10 devices is listed for $54.99 online and on the Norton website. Norton sent an email asking me to renew and pay $109 for 1 year and get 6 months free, or pay $189 for 2 years and get 12 months free. Those prices are DOUBLE and TRIPLE the normal price. Last year I had to turn off auto renewal because Norton would automatically charge 50% more than the normal price. I have never seen a company so unethical and disloyal to its customers.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I had used Norton for years and like many others on here they took money a month early. I did not get any notices or anything. It was 96 dollars. They did refund after I called and canceled. It caused me to have a thirty six dollar overdraft. That was a lot of money to me. Maybe somebody will start a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I am flabbergasted that Norton Security company can do this. I turned off autorenewal on my computer. Norton security has been sending me emails and have mailed me notices in the months of Dec 2018 and Jan 2019 that my service is to expire in freaking August 2019. That's 8 months away, WTH??? The company has badgered me that I must turn it on asap... I never did as I am shopping for other antivirus software. I just received notices they billed me anyway. The only way I can see how this occurred is there was an update on all software on phone and they turned it on... to have the audacity to charge me knowing that I never physically turned on autorenewal chafes my hide. Security, yes I need security. Pray tell who can protect me from them???

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

My computer crashed after Norton blocked an "attack", I have lost all my data. It took several hundred dollars to recover my computer and I reinstall programs. Tdata was all lost, even though I had the extra storage to save data... Norton never paid my expenses, they kept telling me it was not their fault... Eventually I have cancelled all my services with them and got confirmation emails that I have switched off auto renewal on my credit card back in 5/2017. Yet they have charged me for renewal for 2018 and just now in 2019. When I called them, they said they will not refund the charge from 2018 because they had a breach in their system and that somehow justified (??) stealing their customer's money and charging me for something I have not authorized. Ridiculous at the best, fraudulent the worst.. Stay away from this company!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

A couple of days ago I tried running a Quick Scan on my computer that uses Norton Security software. When I did, the program reported a 3038, 104 error. Following Norton's instructions, I removed and reinstalled the software. When I rebooted the same error message came up. I then contacted the Norton Technical Support people. Three separate technical support people tried numerous things to fix the problem. They never fixed it. Worse yet, after their worthless efforts my computer was in worse shape. For example, I could not connect to the Internet and several programs that were on my system were deleted by the work of the Norton people. Overall, they have abysmally poor technical support. When it comes time to get new anti-virus software I will buy something other than Norton. How utterly disappointing!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Norton Security?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I purchased Norton's Premium Antivirus package and was automatically billed in December 2018. In January 2019 I'm billed for their Basic AntiVirus product. I called customer service and got a guy who I couldn't understand - Indian, Pakistani, Bangladesh, I don't know. What I wanted to know was how come the double billing that I never made - and automatically to my credit card at that. Never got back to me, even though I complained on the survey a day afterwards. Who runs this ham-n-egger outfit?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

This is the second year in a row that my checking account was charged for Norton renewal. I didn't even have a debit card on file last year, and they were still able to get my debit card information from my bank and charge my account. I asked how that was even possible without my consent. This time my account was charged a whole month in advance, and made sure I did not sign up for automatic renewal, due to what happened to me last year. Lo and behold it happened again this year!! Their business practices are horrible, and dishonest. I did not budget that $100 dollars into my bills and utilities for the week!!! Word of advice, check your account with them monthly, remove any credit card or debit card information from your account, and make sure AUTOMATIC RENEWAL is TURNED OFF!!! This is unfair, dishonest, and ridiculous to customers!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Upgraded to new computers. Downloaded newest Norton 360 for Windows 10. Have used Norton since they were PC Tools in the 80's. The new Vault has me swearing at my computer. Every Morning my Vault is closed. Before I can log in to the Vault I must log in to Norton. (After 20 seconds...) I am asked to login to my Vault. If I update anything or my computer restarts I must go thru the 2 logins again! I am told that Norton now stores my Vault at their servers. My wife and I live at home. Physical security is not an issue! Unless our computers restart we should not have to log in 2 times again. Also, given the overall lack of security at large server sites I am very uncomfortable with Norton maintaining my Vault!!! I am now researching other security software!!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

January 4, 2019 - My last subscription to Norton Antivirus expired in April, 2008. Since then Norton has annually charged my credit card for a renewal - even though I ended auto payment on my account (it obviously did not work) and my profile shows no billing information. I discovered last year (2018) that this recurring renewal was happening and I contested it. Again this year they attempted to charge my credit card. I have disputed it again, they have agreed to a refund, and my credit card company is aware of this action. It will be a miracle if they follow through but I am watching closely. Bottom line is that Norton which is owned by Symantec and also markets Lifelock is unethical and dishonest. They claim to protect our computers from phishing, viruses and scams while charging people for services that are never delivered. Stay away from Norton products!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I was a loyal customer since the late 90's. It seems the product gets worse every year. I ran tests on my PC with infected files. Norton could detect but not remove. A majority of their techs, are clueless.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

BEWARE! BEWARE! BEWARE! Norton WILL steal from you. Never sign up with them, never take any of their products... Never deal with them. Full stop! They have taken £64.99 from my account, without my permission and will not refund it. I received no warning or correspondence from them. Because they did it using my debit card details my bank can't refund the funds apparently. Trustpilot needs a zero star option, as one star is one star too many.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I was charged $96.63 from my checking account for renewing my subscription a month before it was due. When I called to cancel, a customer service rep told me that she took off the auto-renewal and that my account would be credited in 7 to 10 days. I waited and there was no refund. I emailed the company and got no response from them, so after a few days I called again. I was told by a supervisor that the first rep never put in for a refund and that I would now get a refund in about 5 to 7 days. I do not recommend this company as I do not trust them. If for some reason I do not get my refund I will come back and write another review and turn them in to the BBB.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I've used Norton for at least a decade now. It used to be a very good and frankly dependable product. Now this is nothing more than one big ad for other Norton products. I get tons of pop ups for this or that Norton product negating the enjoyment of my online time. It gives pop ups constantly! What a sad thing this product has become. I now must look for another Antivirus product. Old dependable is no more.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I received notification that my antivirus was about to expire and I needed to renew it. I decided I was going to wait until near the expiration date (Dec. 2) to renew. Approximately 2 weeks after the notification I received a notice from my bank that a transaction for $149.98 was declined from my bank card. Since I knew of no such amount, I opened the notice and saw it was from Norton. I thank God that I had lost that bank card and it was cancelled. I remember nothing about an automatic renewal, but I do know I will not be renewing with Norton again. When l tried to reply to an email they sent; the notice said the email is not monitored, I had to call them. They have tried to charge that same card several times. A new subscription for the same product that I had is only $49.99. I am going to just let the subscription expire.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I have had Norton for a few years, the 2nd year, I was charged over $100, on my renewal. The third year, I found out if you go online, you can get the same service for $39.99, or less!! They OVERCHARGE, their loyal customers!!! ALSO, I found my computer was HACKED!! After doing all scans, POWER ERASER, I was informed, NO THREATS FOUND. But, I was hacked through my WI-FI!!! I disabled all wifi on my computer, but someone or something hacked its way in. I could delete a, "UNKNOWN", file. So, I opened up my computer, and physically removed the WIFI card, then did a complete WIPE. NO MORE NORTON!!! Waste of money on a worthless product.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I have been with Norton for over 20 years and whilst I was away on business I needed to access my bank accounts over an unsecure network. Got onto Norton and they sold me a WiFi security package for £29.99 on top of my normal 360 subscription. They informed me that they would install it for me and proceeded to remotely take over my computer. Altogether they spent over six hours trying to install this package to no avail. They added things and reinstalled things etc., etc. Now my computer is running really badly despite them taking it over on at least a six occasions. I really have had no joy from Norton as each time you deal with a different person and they almost always do not contact you back when they promise to do so. I for one will not be renewing my subscription and would advise others to avoid Norton to your peril.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

This company has an unfair practice of wanting you to sign up for automatic renewal. Most company that do this renewal on the subscription renewal date, not Norton. They renew you a month and a half early. Even after being faithful subscriber they raise the rate. You can look online independently and find a better rate. I find this kind of practice truly criminal. When I questioned the company concerning this practice they said that is the only way they can keep the malware updated. It's junk. I cancelled my subscription called in independently and got a better rate, and was covered instantly. Sad, Sad.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

If you want something that acts just like a virus and will never go away, this is the software for you. No matter how many times I remove and delete all files associated with Norton, like my crazy ex-wife, it creeps back into my life.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

My credit card from Sears billed me for a Norton product that I never ordered. They never gave me any detailed information as to which product they claimed I ordered. The cost of the item was $97.98. I looked at a list of Norton items and none matched that price. Sears insists that I gave Norton my card number for the item which is a lie. I searched my bank and credit card accounts and found no such purchase. I print a copy of all my purchases for at least a year and found none from Norton. The first and last time I used a Norton product was 2002 because they are very unreliable. I now have Avast.

Updated on 10/12/2018: I think that Norton is pulling a scam on the public because as Consumer Affairs can readily see that I am not the only one with this complaint. As of yet Norton has NOT answered my complaint. I asked for a detailed description of the item I presumedly ordered and a printout of my order. So far I have not heard from Norton.

Resolution response: Aug. 14, 2018

I Contacted Symantec or Norton the very morning that the money was taken from y Paypal account. I was told that same day that I would be getting a refund and my Paypal account also said "Refund Pending" of $94.50 C. Still I had to wait from August 4th until August 14th before I got my refund and I still have to wait another 6-8 business days for the money to go from Paypal back into my bank account.

I had to borrow money from family and contact a local food bank so that I wouldn't starve.

This my fault for ever trusting Symantec/Norton in the first place. If I had done some research into how they treat customers as opposed to how well their product works, I wouldn't have ever given them a dime.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Good-day, On August 4th I awoke to find that Norton had charged me a $94.50 (Canadian) Automatic Renewal fee. I did contact Norton via their Chat the same day and was told a refund would be issued. Now my PayPal account says Refund Pending. I need the money very soon as I am a handicapped pensioner and need to eat. I don't remember even allowing an automatic renewal and hadn't even used their product in 10 months. Still it's now 5 complete business days later and still no refund.

To me these guys are crooks who are holding my refund and many others so that they can collect interest. No wonder their stocks are down 26% and can't even release their Annual Report on time. For me it's Microsoft Security & Malwarebytes (free version). I donate to developers like Geek Uninstaller and Hiren's Boot CD because they are helping people and are trustworthy. Symantec/Norton you are not trustworthy and I find you to be both greedy and dumb. If you don't have the people's trust you aren't going to get their money.

Original review: July 2, 2018

Service has been reasonable - no viruses caught, and OK user interface. But I'm recently receiving urgent reminders to renew "Norton Family", that I dropped in 2016 (verified in "My Norton" on their site). They say it expires on July 23, 2018, which is patently false. This erodes the trust that Norton needs, to keep my business. Separately, despite my best efforts "My Norton" refuses to recognize most of my computers.

Original review: June 15, 2018

My website is **. It is safe and maintained by myjoomla.com. It has good standing on Google and others and yet, it is flagged up as a dangerous site by Norton Safe Search. Which is obviously to shepherd people into purchasing their products at the cost of others. Online there are reports of court cases, where they have false flagged other websites and have been found to be wrong and costly for those attacked by Norton for their own gains. Absolutely disgusted by their total disregard for websites and their followers. I have received many messages from people confirming with me that my site is safe.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Norton tried to renew my account one month before my subscription was over. They withdrew the amount I paid for a two year subscription to turn it into a one year subscription at the same high price. I caught it and they refunded my money and still terminated the service before my coverage. They needs to be stopped. They treat people terrible over the phone. I will use another provider. They needs to be put on the local news in every state.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Warning to seniors. If you purchase a Norton subscription please make sure auto renewal is off. We purchased a subscription in 2015. Without our knowledge we have been charged an outrageous price each year debited out of our account without our knowledge. We caught it this year and called Norton. The auto renewal is automatic so beware! It is a direct target at seniors knowing the older customers will not know to disable the auto renewal! They did not have our correct email so we did not get a notice. Each year starting in 2016 we were charged just under 100 bucks for a subscription. This year over 100 bucks. SO SENIORS BEWARE of Norton Security!!!! Without your knowledge your Credit Card Number or Worse in our case our Debit card info was saved.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I noticed that Norton charged me for a subscription although we have not used in years. I called the 877-297-5265 number and waited 32 MINUTES AND NO ONE ANSWERED. Then I called the 800-745-6034 and I am 10 minutes now and still no answer. If you download NORTON just be PREPARED TO NOT BE ABLE TO DISCONTINUE.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I have had nothing but issue with their so called support (chat or phone) regardless of the issue (none of which I have received any help with). They know nothing and do nothing beyond their script (non answers). They will find any excuse to hang up and disconnect on you, but yet they will deny that as well. Nothing is ever their fault. They have no accountability at all. I had one level 2 person tell me unless they (Symantec) get a court order they can't be fired (his words) and it shows on how they treat their customers (you know us who pay for a service).

Rather telling when a manager, supervisor or whoever more or less laugh in your face and do nothing. Any complaint is quickly ignored. Has one person tell me (with their obsession to do remote access, don't fall for this) that they can fix my issue by "looking for files" files that don't exist on my pc at all, really? Guess the dinosaur and alien who I "found" can fix anything as well? Rather ridiculous what they claim and how they fail to do anything. I'm sure there may be an exception or 2 but 95% at least you're basically talking to yourself.

Updated on 05/23/2018: I am now being denied any help and or support. Get told "I'm not allowed to contact" them (Norton/Symantec). I paid for a service but being denied help for paid service. They don't seem to have any accountability at all and make any excuse to do nothing. Nothing is ever their fault. These same "techs" (oxymoron) who can't or won't answer a simple question have an obsession with remote access (only a fool would allow that) to fix something they know nothing about. They only seem to know what's on their script. Oh and if you say "so" or "fix" or any other word they don't like at the moment it's "profanity" and an excuse used to refuse their help, really??? Should there not be actual "support" when you contact "Norton support"??? Seems they're just paid seat warmers. Rather disgraceful how they treat their users/customers.

Original review: May 17, 2018

A week ago my Norton Antivirus has stopped working... It makes my system very slow, I got really afraid that my data will get hacked but Thanks to Norton Technical Support team, they had fixed my issue within 20 minutes only and now my system is working fine. Really their people are very polite and professional. They do not charge much amount like others.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I really do hate Norton. Their product is good. Their business model is crooked and intentionally deceptive and penny pinching when it comes to the customer. Even though their current price for the equivalent product is 49.99, Norton automatically charged my credit card $129.99 for a renewal. When I called them to complain, they promised a refund and 10 days later, no refund. Since I am reading here that people are not receiving their refunds 30 days down the line, I'm sure I can expect to continue to be disappointed.

Also, they sold me the new product for $49 but did not add the extra 22 days still left on my old subscription. So they rip you off for a month of coverage also. When I told them over and over I don't want anything beyond the $49 coverage, they attempted to upsell me many times along the way as I was handed off to salespeople. This is a disgusting company with a disgusting business model now based on milking every penny from the customer. If anybody is interested in a class action suit, I am in. I really do hate Norton. Their product is good. Their business model is crooked and intentionally deceptive and penny pinching when it comes to the customer.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I have been using Norton Security for a long, long time. I also previously used it years ago when it was called Norton Antivirus (when viruses were just called viruses, before the dawn of malware). I even used Norton Utilities way back in the days of DOS in the late 80s and 90s (when viruses only existed on programs you downloaded from dial-up bulletin boards). I do not recall ever having a serious virus infection while running Norton Security or Norton Antivirus. I have used Norton Security to successfully remove viruses off infected computers which did not have anti-virus software on them.

I oversee many Windows PCs for myself, my family members and friends. I currently run or manage over 15 Windows PCs. Some of the PCs I work with are a little older, and will not run most of the current modern anti-virus offerings. Norton Security is an exception. Once installed, Norton Security is not very invasive to the overall PC operation. This allows Norton to work very well on older PCs, even on those with Pentium 4 CPUs.

One thing that should be mentioned regarding running Norton (or any antivirus program) is: you need to run the "virus signature updates" before you start doing your main work on that day. This is because: when an antivirus program does its updates, it may slow down your PC some, especially if it is older, or has a low power CPU. The same thing is true for running a virus scan on your PC. You should run your scans when you are not otherwise taxing the computer. Again, this logic applies to all antivirus software.

When I use any Windows computer, I always monitor my CPU usage and RAM allocation. This is how I continuously verify that my computer is running well, and that I do not have too many processes running. I can positively confirm, from years and years of experience, that I know Norton does not adversely impact the CPU usage of older machines that do not have a lot of processing power. I always run Windows Task Manager or some other sort of CPU usage monitor, like Process Explorer, etc.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I canceled my subscription 3 weeks ago. Was told it could take up to 10 days depending on my bank to refund my money. I have waited now 3 weeks for my refund and have not received it. Every time I contact them they inform me they have escalated the issue and I would be getting a call in 24-48 hours. Still no phone call. It's been about 4 days.

Norton Security expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Norton Antivirus has been protecting computers since 1982 and was purchased by the software development company Symantec in 1991. The Norton Security division offers antivirus and other security solutions for home and business.

• Works across devices: Norton Security works across all PCs, Macs, smartphones and tablets, but you will have to upgrade to the deluxe or premium version to protect multiple devices. Annual subscriptions range from $59.99 to $89.99 across three versions, and discounts are offered for the first year of protection.

• Norton Power Eraser: If you suspect that traces of malware remain after scanning your computer, you can use the Power Eraser to restart your computer and then dig even deeper to detect the most aggressive malware.

• Strong anti-phishing: Norton uses several layers of security to detect fraudulent websites that try to steal your personal information. This stops identity theft.

• Award winning software: Over the years, Norton has been awarded by PC Magazine as a top choice in antivirus software. Awards were granted after thorough testing.

• 100% guarantee: If Norton Security can’t clean a virus from your computer or device at any time during your subscription, you will get your money back.

• Best for: Individuals and businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Norton Security (formerly Norton Antivirus) Company Information