Norton Security (formerly Norton Antivirus)

Compare Antivirus Software companies

Research top Antivirus Software companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I have recently been charged by Symantec for a renewal of Norton security. I was unaware that I had this product as my PC came with a security package from another company. The charge was debited from my PayPal account. I contacted PayPal but they said they had an instruction to pay any charge to Symantec. I have no recollection of ever having given such an instruction. Despite several e-mails to Symantec, I have received no satisfaction and no refund. The last 3 e-mails I sent have all been unanswered. Presumably as I live outside the USA, Symantec think I am fair game to be ripped off in this way. My advice to anyone seeking a security system is do not use Symantec, unless you wish to be ripped off.

Norton started blocking safe websites like my school's website so I contacted customer support. After wasting an hour of my time, they told me the issue was that I only had basic and I could upgrade for "free" to fix the problem. I said, "Yes it's free now but I'll have to pay for it eventually won't I?" She said, "Yes, $39.99 when your subscription ends." They purposely screw up your computer to trick you into giving them more money. Ridiculous. I will never use Norton again.

I purchased in February 2017 to go with my regular Norton Anti Virus. It worked for 1 month and I let them know. I have been on the chat line several time but they could not fix or get it to work. They contacted me and downloaded two time info from my machine, said their techs needed it to find out where the problem was. I have yet to use, which I already paid for, not have I heard from them that we can fix. How can I get a phone number to speak to someone in management? You can't, IT'S SET UP THAT WAY. You cannot even check to see if they are legitimate. Can you help me?

I had Norton 360 Premium on my computer to protect against viruses and malware. My computer crashed several times. I ran scans after re-starting, and Norton informed me that my computer was safe. The last time this happened, I was unable to run a restore program, and could only get a blank screen. I had to buy a new computer, and got a different anti-virus program. I contacted Norton to cancel, and to get a refund for the 131 days left in my subscription. I was told I could not cancel after 60 days from renewal, and they refused to issue a refund. I was forced to pay them for the 131 days I will not have their product.

I noticed that Norton charged my Amex $117 yesterday. When I called they told me That I was signed up for auto renew, which I can't remember. When I said I wanted to cancel and get a refund I was told there would be a $80 cancellation fee! Additionally, the auto renew price is double what the same product costs retail. Never again Norton, what a scam.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Norton Security?

Norton Antivirus stinks. When you log on or startup machine the disk access is at 100% until you disable and re-enable Norton. To log it takes anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes. Norton is truly a worthless anti-virus. Called Norton a million times and problem is never resolved. There on solution is to re-install software that fixes nothing. Buy Kasperov or another anti virus software.

I installed Norton in my laptop and worked well until I restarted the computer. Then the internet connection did not work. Their instructions were to take the firewall down, which I did. The problem was not solved. Then the instruction were to uninstall the program, which I did. That did not solve the problem. After talking to four different persons for over an hour and a half, the technical department in essence said that since I uninstalled the program and I did not have internet, it was not their problem to check with the internet company. I did.

The wireless connection works on five other devices and my WiFi card in the computer identifies the network but it is unable to connect. It is not the wireless service or modem, or the computer. Norton claiming that because the program was uninstalled, it is not their problem. So much for customer services. If and when I restore the internet connection that was messed up by Norton, I am going back to McAfee Security Software which I had in the computer prior to installing Norton. Terrible experience with Norton.

I paid 49.99 to Norton Security in January for a year subscription. Now it's July 10, Microsoft did an update and deleted my Norton. I call customer service, told them I couldn't get into my email because they had my email wrong. After a few attempts to get them to correct their mistake on my email, what I got was a bunch of upsells wanting me to pay another 50.00. Told them I had my Card transaction to prove I paid for the product. He totally ignored what I was saying, insisting that I pay another 50.00 for him to get Norton back to work.

This company has nothing but a bunch of con artist trying to scam you out of money. He accessed my laptop without permission, then as I told him I was Not going to give him any more money, he told me he couldn't help me. About 10 minutes after I hung up with him.. I seen he was still accessing my laptop. I shut it down, shortly after I get a call, from him. I told him to get the hell out my laptop, and he finally hung up. Will never ever go back to Norton... they are nothing but scammers and Con artists.

Every time that I download or update a program, Norton alerts me that I need to fix a problem. This is after being alerted that it is 'Safe'. I (or we) should not have to this. I thought that is what Norton is supposed to do.

Bought "Norton Security Deluxe" at Walmart 6/26/17. When home tried to "download" software on computer using the product key. Got error message "Try later". After trying a number of times, "Call support". Was told that Walmart didn't "activate" the box and to return to Walmart to have it activated. There was NO other choice, (It's 60 miles to Walmart.) -- It doesn't matter, we have no way of activating the product. I WILL go back to Walmart and GET MY MONEY BACK. This is crap. I will buy a different product. I will NEVER buy Norton again. The only reason I bought it was I had Norton 20+ years ago and it worked. This is how companies change, now it's time for me to change -- products.

I've used the Norton Security when it was packaged with a computer I bought or it was a free trial. It was download, click and install. Set it to automatic all update and scan periodically. No customer service interaction. Nothing too out of the ordinary, same as other options. It was easy to use and seemed to do a decent job of protecting me. However, the free version would be nice. I refuse to pay for anti-virus when there are Avast and AVG and Malwarebytes available for free. Norton is a respected name, so I'd definitely use if free.

Norton Security has a professional layout and the software is very easy to use. The products does not have too many popups and can run seamlessly in the background. When the product was purchased, an email link was sent where it can be downloaded and installed in a matter of minutes. No further authentication was required like product key or logging in. Also, the link can also be forwarded for installation in other devices with the same procedure. However, it slows down computer (not too much though) and 50-80 dollars for anti-virus software can be deemed steep especially when there are free alternatives.

I had it installed by someone else. The Norton program really seems to make my computer run slow and shut down a bit, so I chose to use a different brand and had it out in my computer by somebody else. I like it much better than Norton and glad I switched. I don't like Norton personally. I can't use something that slows my computer down whatsoever and I don't recommend it. But if it didn't slow my computer down I believe it would have given me the protection I needed.

I like that Norton is easy to use and offers functionality across operating systems and mobile device. It also offers various software depending on the consumers' needs. It's easy to install too. I like the dashboard for the program so it's easy to choose what you want to do and you can see how scans are progressing. However, the price for the software is a little high when you compare with other software providers. But I see Norton as a trusted anti-virus software program and have used it before.

Norton Antivirus is the best company when it comes to antivirus software. They are a good reliable company and they help protect your computer. It was already installed on my laptop so I was able to use a trial of it but I liked it so much that I bought it after the trial period expired. I like them a lot and I like it the way it is. I recommend it to everyone to protect your computer.

When I first got my Norton antivirus software I really did enjoy it. I downloaded the software from the website. Then it automatically installed itself on my computer. Once it was installed, it automatically downloaded all of the necessary updates and ran a full virus scan on my computer. I hardly had to do anything and it was simple to use. Also, it regularly scanned my computer and kept itself updated and I never felt at risk when I first started using it. But I noticed that as my annual "subscription" to Norton Security was coming to an end, my computer was starting to act up. This seemed to be much more than a coincidence and very fishy. It honestly seemed like a way for them to get me to renew my subscription. I didn't cave in though, I am now using Avast.

Norton Security is easy to use and download. It is readily available for anyone to get and install. It is easily done by going to their site and agreeing to the terms and clicking a few buttons. It is made so that any person can do it. Norton does an OK job at keeping my computer safe and it is cheap if not free. But it is somewhat of a flaky program since it give me false alarms. It is slightly overrated and is just super popular among normal people who aren't very fluent with computers.

I had no problem getting it installed. It's a step by step process that is very easy to understand and it was pretty straightforward for me. I really liked the software! They make me feel very secure! It would be nice if it was free other than a free trial though! But Norton is a very good brand with a great reputation. I would recommend them to anyone!!

Norton Security is a very good anti-virus, very complete and has a lot of great features that make your computer healthier. It also maintains my computer very clean and fast. So far it has what I need and what my PC requires. They have a very well develop software. Also installing it was not hard at all, their process is very intuitive, very user-friendly and pretty cool.

The Norton Antivirus is effective, easy to buy or download and takes just minutes to install. However, they no longer offer the free 1-year trial and it really bums me out. I feel like if they offered this again, business would be better. Other than that, the product works just fine. Also, just download and install, no fuss, no muss, no coconuts.

Norton Antivirus is easy to use with a clear interface and helpful website. Doing a scan is easy and there are options for quick scans as well as deeper scans which require more time. In the past I have found Norton to be a bit too slow and makes the computer sluggish. I would appreciate options to install a full package and perhaps a more basic version if the computer is slowed down by the software as long as it is still able to scan and protect my data. Other than that, the Norton Antivirus is easy to install and I did not need customer support as the process was quite self-explanatory. Once installed it is able to do an immediate scan.

It is easy to use, my family bought a disk set and just installed it into our computers. Naturally, it takes a couple minutes to load but it is a quick click set up and we didn't even need to call customer service. It's slightly pricey but worth it. Also, the software has a tendency to pop up quite often for notifications of updates or when my subscription is ending. But it is guaranteed to protect your computers and catches even the tiniest viruses. When there is a safety issue when browsing the web, the software will provide a warning and describe the types of risks your computer is at.

I like the fact that Norton Security is a name brand, it gets good reviews, it updates to keep current and can handle the toughest viruses. It is also worry free for the most part. But Norton as well as other antivirus software can be intrusive. It can slow the computer down some and if you cancel they will constantly bug you. It is not foolproof so there is that odd chance of it not working properly. Antivirus can also block things you may not need blocked. But Norton is easy to use. You just need to install it through a disk or online and it will take you step by step to set it up properly. It takes a little bit of time to register it and adjust it to fit your needs. I did not encounter any problems I could not figure out myself but it is good to know that customer service have your back if you need assistance.

Norton Antivirus includes deep scan for viruses, trojans, and malware. Also includes a firewall and recycling bin cleaning. However, it can be a bit intrusive on your system, and difficult to uninstall if you wish to do so. I think this might be troublesome for less savvy users. Also it can be a bit pricey. Nevertheless, it is simple to install, but it can be time-consuming. I typically update the software annually. I have no need to contact customer service and I find it very easy to use.

It's easy to download and install, which is the only thing I like about Norton. No customer service representative needed during this time. However, I find it hard to understand and navigate, and the interface needs to be clearer. Also, forced popups all the time is annoying.

When I was in college my father purchased Norton Antivirus for my laptop. The first version was very slow. There were too many pop ups due to home use. But whenever I upgraded to the newer version it speed up a bit. Installing the program was easy. First you download the Norton remove and reinstall tool. Next you go to the download window and read through the license agreement that comes up. Then you will click agree. Next click on remove and reinstall, continue or remove, and finally restart your computer. Norton is somewhat obsolete though as compared to other antivirus systems and a lot slower than some other systems I have tried. Otherwise, would recommend Norton to others.

It was installed automatically, no problems. I entered the software key and it installed fine. I like that the software runs quietly in the background and doesn't announce everything it is doing and that updates are automatic and I don't have to worry about remembering to update. Its great graphics keep getting better but in a security software a lot of times it's unnecessary. I don't like the amount of resources it uses at times.

Buy it, download and install. Not too difficult, a bit slow to load but alright. But not quite as advertised, supposed to be lightening fast etc, but not my experience at all. It slows down my computer and too much advertising comes with it with no way to stop the ads from coming. Also when I used the backup it takes forever to load what is saved back into the computer and customer service says it is my fault, pretty poor. Overall it is ok, but I do not use anymore, too ponderous and costs more than it is worth.

Norton Security was pretty straightforward with the instructions but you have to remember to allow the changes to happen or otherwise you risk the chance of not having the software downloaded. Corrupted installations are also a risk that you can run into while downloading. I'm not too savvy on the technical lingo, but I enjoy the pop-up block features as well as scanning suspicious material before downloading and these are top features I tend to look for when I'm looking for antivirus software. Norton is rather popular as well. However, some websites need to marked as safe or they will not be shown and the user has to keep in mind to make sure that their websites aren't blocked as well.

Norton Antivirus software is hands down our favorite because it is low priced, gives me information as to what is happening at least monthly and automatically updates. Though sometimes the auto update has inconvenient timing. However I like Norton better than anyone else. It was extremely easy to install to my computer, my husband is electronically challenged and even he could install norton antivirus software to his own computer.

Expert Review

Shelley ElmbladFinancial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.    More about Shelley→

Norton Antivirus has been protecting computers since 1982 and was purchased by the software development company Symantec in 1991. The Norton Security division offers antivirus and other security solutions for home and business.

• Works across devices: Norton Security works across all PCs, Macs, smartphones and tablets, but you will have to upgrade to the deluxe or premium version to protect multiple devices. Annual subscriptions range from $59.99 to $89.99 across three versions, and discounts are offered for the first year of protection.
  • Norton Power Eraser: If you suspect that traces of malware remain after scanning your computer, you can use the Power Eraser to restart your computer and then dig even deeper to detect the most aggressive malware.
  • Strong anti-phishing: Norton uses several layers of security to detect fraudulent websites that try to steal your personal information. This stops identity theft.
  • Award winning software: Over the years, Norton has been awarded by PC Magazine as a top choice in antivirus software. Awards were granted after thorough testing.
  • 100% guarantee: If Norton Security can’t clean a virus from your computer or device at any time during your subscription, you will get your money back.
  • Best for Individuals and businesses.

Compare Antivirus Software