Norton Security (formerly Norton Antivirus)
3.36/5
Based on 125 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Norton Security (formerly Norton Antivirus)

695 Norton Security (formerly Norton Antivirus) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution response: Aug. 14, 2018

I Contacted Symantec or Norton the very morning that the money was taken from y Paypal account. I was told that same day that I would be getting a refund and my Paypal account also said "Refund Pending" of $94.50 C. Still I had to wait from August 4th until August 14th before I got my refund and I still have to wait another 6-8 business days for the money to go from Paypal back into my bank account.

I had to borrow money from family and contact a local food bank so that I wouldn't starve.

This my fault for ever trusting Symantec/Norton in the first place. If I had done some research into how they treat customers as opposed to how well their product works, I wouldn't have ever given them a dime.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Good-day, On August 4th I awoke to find that Norton had charged me a $94.50 (Canadian) Automatic Renewal fee. I did contact Norton via their Chat the same day and was told a refund would be issued. Now my PayPal account says Refund Pending. I need the money very soon as I am a handicapped pensioner and need to eat. I don't remember even allowing an automatic renewal and hadn't even used their product in 10 months. Still it's now 5 complete business days later and still no refund.

To me these guys are crooks who are holding my refund and many others so that they can collect interest. No wonder their stocks are down 26% and can't even release their Annual Report on time. For me it's Microsoft Security & Malwarebytes (free version). I donate to developers like Geek Uninstaller and Hiren's Boot CD because they are helping people and are trustworthy. Symantec/Norton you are not trustworthy and I find you to be both greedy and dumb. If you don't have the people's trust you aren't going to get their money.

Original review: July 2, 2018

Service has been reasonable - no viruses caught, and OK user interface. But I'm recently receiving urgent reminders to renew "Norton Family", that I dropped in 2016 (verified in "My Norton" on their site). They say it expires on July 23, 2018, which is patently false. This erodes the trust that Norton needs, to keep my business. Separately, despite my best efforts "My Norton" refuses to recognize most of my computers.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 15, 2018

My website is **. It is safe and maintained by myjoomla.com. It has good standing on Google and others and yet, it is flagged up as a dangerous site by Norton Safe Search. Which is obviously to shepherd people into purchasing their products at the cost of others. Online there are reports of court cases, where they have false flagged other websites and have been found to be wrong and costly for those attacked by Norton for their own gains. Absolutely disgusted by their total disregard for websites and their followers. I have received many messages from people confirming with me that my site is safe.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Norton tried to renew my account one month before my subscription was over. They withdrew the amount I paid for a two year subscription to turn it into a one year subscription at the same high price. I caught it and they refunded my money and still terminated the service before my coverage. They needs to be stopped. They treat people terrible over the phone. I will use another provider. They needs to be put on the local news in every state.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Warning to seniors. If you purchase a Norton subscription please make sure auto renewal is off. We purchased a subscription in 2015. Without our knowledge we have been charged an outrageous price each year debited out of our account without our knowledge. We caught it this year and called Norton. The auto renewal is automatic so beware! It is a direct target at seniors knowing the older customers will not know to disable the auto renewal! They did not have our correct email so we did not get a notice. Each year starting in 2016 we were charged just under 100 bucks for a subscription. This year over 100 bucks. SO SENIORS BEWARE of Norton Security!!!! Without your knowledge your Credit Card Number or Worse in our case our Debit card info was saved.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Norton Security?

Original review: June 1, 2018

I noticed that Norton charged me for a subscription although we have not used in years. I called the 877-297-5265 number and waited 32 MINUTES AND NO ONE ANSWERED. Then I called the 800-745-6034 and I am 10 minutes now and still no answer. If you download NORTON just be PREPARED TO NOT BE ABLE TO DISCONTINUE.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I have had nothing but issue with their so called support (chat or phone) regardless of the issue (none of which I have received any help with). They know nothing and do nothing beyond their script (non answers). They will find any excuse to hang up and disconnect on you, but yet they will deny that as well. Nothing is ever their fault. They have no accountability at all. I had one level 2 person tell me unless they (Symantec) get a court order they can't be fired (his words) and it shows on how they treat their customers (you know us who pay for a service).

Rather telling when a manager, supervisor or whoever more or less laugh in your face and do nothing. Any complaint is quickly ignored. Has one person tell me (with their obsession to do remote access, don't fall for this) that they can fix my issue by "looking for files" files that don't exist on my pc at all, really? Guess the dinosaur and alien who I "found" can fix anything as well? Rather ridiculous what they claim and how they fail to do anything. I'm sure there may be an exception or 2 but 95% at least you're basically talking to yourself.

Updated on 05/23/2018: I am now being denied any help and or support. Get told "I'm not allowed to contact" them (Norton/Symantec). I paid for a service but being denied help for paid service. They don't seem to have any accountability at all and make any excuse to do nothing. Nothing is ever their fault. These same "techs" (oxymoron) who can't or won't answer a simple question have an obsession with remote access (only a fool would allow that) to fix something they know nothing about. They only seem to know what's on their script. Oh and if you say "so" or "fix" or any other word they don't like at the moment it's "profanity" and an excuse used to refuse their help, really??? Should there not be actual "support" when you contact "Norton support"??? Seems they're just paid seat warmers. Rather disgraceful how they treat their users/customers.

Original review: May 17, 2018

A week ago my Norton Antivirus has stopped working... It makes my system very slow, I got really afraid that my data will get hacked but Thanks to Norton Technical Support team, they had fixed my issue within 20 minutes only and now my system is working fine. Really their people are very polite and professional. They do not charge much amount like others.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I really do hate Norton. Their product is good. Their business model is crooked and intentionally deceptive and penny pinching when it comes to the customer. Even though their current price for the equivalent product is 49.99, Norton automatically charged my credit card $129.99 for a renewal. When I called them to complain, they promised a refund and 10 days later, no refund. Since I am reading here that people are not receiving their refunds 30 days down the line, I'm sure I can expect to continue to be disappointed.

Also, they sold me the new product for $49 but did not add the extra 22 days still left on my old subscription. So they rip you off for a month of coverage also. When I told them over and over I don't want anything beyond the $49 coverage, they attempted to upsell me many times along the way as I was handed off to salespeople. This is a disgusting company with a disgusting business model now based on milking every penny from the customer. If anybody is interested in a class action suit, I am in. I really do hate Norton. Their product is good. Their business model is crooked and intentionally deceptive and penny pinching when it comes to the customer.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I have been using Norton Security for a long, long time. I also previously used it years ago when it was called Norton Antivirus (when viruses were just called viruses, before the dawn of malware). I even used Norton Utilities way back in the days of DOS in the late 80s and 90s (when viruses only existed on programs you downloaded from dial-up bulletin boards). I do not recall ever having a serious virus infection while running Norton Security or Norton Antivirus. I have used Norton Security to successfully remove viruses off infected computers which did not have anti-virus software on them.

I oversee many Windows PCs for myself, my family members and friends. I currently run or manage over 15 Windows PCs. Some of the PCs I work with are a little older, and will not run most of the current modern anti-virus offerings. Norton Security is an exception. Once installed, Norton Security is not very invasive to the overall PC operation. This allows Norton to work very well on older PCs, even on those with Pentium 4 CPUs.

One thing that should be mentioned regarding running Norton (or any antivirus program) is: you need to run the "virus signature updates" before you start doing your main work on that day. This is because: when an antivirus program does its updates, it may slow down your PC some, especially if it is older, or has a low power CPU. The same thing is true for running a virus scan on your PC. You should run your scans when you are not otherwise taxing the computer. Again, this logic applies to all antivirus software.

When I use any Windows computer, I always monitor my CPU usage and RAM allocation. This is how I continuously verify that my computer is running well, and that I do not have too many processes running. I can positively confirm, from years and years of experience, that I know Norton does not adversely impact the CPU usage of older machines that do not have a lot of processing power. I always run Windows Task Manager or some other sort of CPU usage monitor, like Process Explorer, etc.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I canceled my subscription 3 weeks ago. Was told it could take up to 10 days depending on my bank to refund my money. I have waited now 3 weeks for my refund and have not received it. Every time I contact them they inform me they have escalated the issue and I would be getting a call in 24-48 hours. Still no phone call. It's been about 4 days.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I was trying to do 2 things on the phone: give Norton my new debit card number and ask about Norton's connection with LifeLock. I had to wade through promotions for vacations, medical alerts, and free offers. The first connection was so bad I had to call back. I had some problems understand support persons English. I was cut off twice. I THINK I got my debit card changed but I was never able to find out about LifeLock. I spent at least 1 hour on the phone and online. After my experience, I am considering looking for another virus protection service.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I have used Norton Mobile Security for 15 months, but the last month has been problematic. In the latest release, they push very hard to get you to buy additional Norton products. The latest is the warning that your network has been compromised (in big red letters), and that you should try their VPN. (I was using a Hotspot Shield VPN so this option was not necessary.) I spent 2 days changing logins and security settings on my modem, to no avail. Finally, on their user forum yesterday, they admitted that this was the result of their overzealous software, and that the next release would correct this. I am switching to someone else (Bitdefender on my PC has been very good - if a bit intrusive).

Updated on 03/31/2018: Norton responded, "We're terribly sorry for the inconvenience caused to you due to the potentially incorrect alerts from WiFi Security. We have released an update we believe should resolve this issue. Please update your app to the latest version 4.1.0.4063". My response: "...potentially incorrect alerts..."?? To quote the warning box, "An attacker is attempting to decrypt this network and may view and alter your communications." Does this sound like a "potential" threat?? It clearly says that my network is under attack. Yes, I have not seen this message since I updated the app, but I still lost time and had a lot of grief all because Norton wanted me to buy their VPN product."

Original review: March 25, 2018

I been using Norton for many years since the Norton System Works 2001 days. I never any of there products crash on me or anything. I had a few issues with installation and Norton's support helped me. Norton to me is way better than McAfee. Norton keep up the good work!

Original review: March 21, 2018

Norton was using an email address that is inactive and we didn't know existed to bill us automatically for over 12 years. When we realized we had been charged over a $1,000, we contacted them about this fraud or scam. So far they are unwilling to refund these charges. They will not give me the email address they were using to supposedly "notify" us, so obviously we got no notices for renewal. They will not provide the "supposed" computer that was being covered on renewal. They want me to log-in to an account that I am unaware of and cancel the auto renewal! I feel someone has hacked us over a security product and Norton is responsible for this fraud!

I have asked repeatedly for account information which they have not provided. I have asked for complete refund, which we have not received. I have asked for a supervisor or someone in management to call us to explain all this, and no one has called. I am posting very negative review here for Norton products and their lack of professionalism. They have deceived and taken advantage of two senior citizens. Any suggestions for anyone to post critical remarks about their behavior? I don't know what an "order number" is for this because we didn't know it existed until this week.

Updated on 04/26/2018: After over 2 months of trying to get Norton to refund our monies, they are still stalling and refusing to do the correct thing. How can you charge repeatedly for a product that was not being used, nor did we even know we were being charged for which were going to an inactive account, and Norton KNEW they were not being delivered or in service. Wrong and shameful. This is not a good business practice and this continued for over 12 years. There are extenuating circumstances here and Norton knows this but refuses to do the professional thing and fix this problem.

Original review: March 19, 2018

First they will overcharge you if buy direct and then take your credit card details to catch up with you again 12 month later by overcharging you again by renewing your software without your knowledge. But then after you complain about that, your email address will be permanently blocked from entering your Norton account in order to purchase another and cheaper Norton antivirus program. This is very stupid behaviour from a big company like this one, as it helped me to move on to search for an alternative product which is not only better but also cheaper. Don't let this idiots control your life.

Original review: March 6, 2018

This company takes your money for anti virus protection then causes you to be sent unwanted emails if you use their Norton search service for almost anything. In summary, this company will cause you lots of harassment if you use their Norton search engine.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I called and explained an issue that I had with Symantec taking a political position with other entities. The agent told me that Symantec was receiving a lot of feedback. I was told that when I received 'Norton Security Deluxe' by mail, I should call back with the Product Key and a return/refund would be processed. In the meantime I downloaded Kaspersky (previously, I had used Norton for 20+ years). When I called back with Product Key, which was verified by agent, I was told that the refund could not be issued.

Symantec gave me incorrect information (which was recorded and noted on my Case #) and then backed down and didn't follow through with their promise to refund. There is clearly poor corporate leadership at Symantec, with regard to: 1. Customer Product Support - (inconsistent, unreliable), 2. The company's primary mission of providing excellent products and services to their customers - (leveraging the political agendas of a few corporate individuals onto their customer base is inappropriate and must be boycotted). I am not a member of the NRA. I have been a satisfied Norton/Symantec customer.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I bought a new computer. I contacted Norton to switch account to new computer. I was told the new computer did not support Norton. I asked for a refund on the remainder of the account. I was told that because I had the account for more than 60 days, I would not receive a refund. There are 275 days left on the account. They are thieves. I was then told I would receive a phone call from someone who could rectify this situation. 48 hrs later, no call. I contacted Norton several times today and have been blocked. I will never purchase anything from them and will advise others to do the same. They are stealing money from people and getting away with it.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

Bought one year of coverage for multiple devices. After a Windows upgrade, had to bring in a computer tech to fix my work computer since Norton was interfering with my Office programs. (He recommended using a different virus program). At that point, I had already purchased "Core" for my home computer. Could not install, hours on customer service, not working, then finally asked to return it. Got refund. Then Norton terminated entire subscription at that point, including the year we had previously paid for, only 3 months into it. Now vulnerable to viruses on home computer. Called customer service. They denied we ever had a subscription outside of Core.

Meanwhile I got other virus coverage since Norton left us hanging. Then I dug through e-mails for proof of subscription, found it, called customer service AGAIN and requested a refund for 3/4 of subscription. They agree to reinstate it, but no refund ("past 60 days"). Already found replacement virus protection, so we didn't want Norton reinstated. The supervisor then said he would take my refund request to the "escalation committee" (which was really a way to end the phone call and do nothing more). Horrible experience. We gave them multiple chances to make it right and they didn't. So much of my time wasted.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I was having computer issues so I took my computer to a tech who found 43 viruses on my computer. A couple viruses were extremely dangerous and were the root cause of my computer issues. I was shocked because I purchased Norton software to protect my computer after reading so many positive reviews. As it turns out, most computers he works on has Norton and/or Kaspersky software and he is constantly finding viruses on. I called Norton to get a refund and was told I was passed the refund period. I will never trust Norton.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I am experiencing software issues as well website issues. I called support but the representatives helped as much as possible but some issues remain.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Renewal is difficult even after paying yearly fees. We keep on getting message that you are not protected. No phone contact info. Very strange so stopped using to minimum that pc and switched my usage to Apple.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I always used a free antivirus program in the past and they seemed adequate. But I have a much better feeling about Norton. It tells me what it did and I feel confident that it's taking care of me.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I have used other software in the past and always ended up regretting that decision. Overall Norton has been the best for me. Their customer support is very helpful and 24 hours.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I've been using Norton for 5 yrs & never had a worm or bad virus. Now that's what I call a great antivirus program. Tech support is great & they spend a long time with you if necessary until the issue is corrected.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I am generally happy with my Norton SW but I have had about five instances over the last three years where it stopped working for no apparent reason and required a remove and reinstall. Once upon reinstall I lost my backup information and had to back up from scratch.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I have used Norton for over 10 years. I have never had a problem. If you need help, there is online chat available. It is a great program! I have never had a virus!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I have used Norton/Symantec for computer protection needs since about 1985. An Oregon based company that I trust. They have helped when I have had a problem and I am confident they have their customer's interests in mind. They have a reasonable cost for multiple devices, needed today.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Years ago Norton found a virus, notified me and took it out, I have been a faithful Norton user since. Norton support has even helped me with other compatibility issues which I was not sure if they were related to antivirus software. The cost of Norton has always been decent.

Not sure about Norton Security (formerly Norton Antivirus)?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Antivirus Software for you.

Norton Security expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Norton Antivirus has been protecting computers since 1982 and was purchased by the software development company Symantec in 1991. The Norton Security division offers antivirus and other security solutions for home and business.

• Works across devices: Norton Security works across all PCs, Macs, smartphones and tablets, but you will have to upgrade to the deluxe or premium version to protect multiple devices. Annual subscriptions range from $59.99 to $89.99 across three versions, and discounts are offered for the first year of protection.

• Norton Power Eraser: If you suspect that traces of malware remain after scanning your computer, you can use the Power Eraser to restart your computer and then dig even deeper to detect the most aggressive malware.

• Strong anti-phishing: Norton uses several layers of security to detect fraudulent websites that try to steal your personal information. This stops identity theft.

• Award winning software: Over the years, Norton has been awarded by PC Magazine as a top choice in antivirus software. Awards were granted after thorough testing.

• 100% guarantee: If Norton Security can’t clean a virus from your computer or device at any time during your subscription, you will get your money back.

• Best for: Individuals and businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
    Shelley Elmblad

Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Norton Security (formerly Norton Antivirus) Company Information

Norton Security
    1995
    350 Ellis Street
    Mountain View
    us.norton.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business