Norton Security (formerly Norton Antivirus)
3.88/5
Based on 208 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Norton Security (formerly Norton Antivirus)

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Jan. 25, 2018

676 Norton Security (formerly Norton Antivirus) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I was having computer issues so I took my computer to a tech who found 43 viruses on my computer. A couple viruses were extremely dangerous and were the root cause of my computer issues. I was shocked because I purchased Norton software to protect my computer after reading so many positive reviews. As it turns out, most computers he works on has Norton and/or Kaspersky software and he is constantly finding viruses on. I called Norton to get a refund and was told I was passed the refund period. I will never trust Norton.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I am experiencing software issues as well website issues. I called support but the representatives helped as much as possible but some issues remain.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Renewal is difficult even after paying yearly fees. We keep on getting message that you are not protected. No phone contact info. Very strange so stopped using to minimum that pc and switched my usage to Apple.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I always used a free antivirus program in the past and they seemed adequate. But I have a much better feeling about Norton. It tells me what it did and I feel confident that it's taking care of me.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I have used other software in the past and always ended up regretting that decision. Overall Norton has been the best for me. Their customer support is very helpful and 24 hours.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Norton Security?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I've been using Norton for 5 yrs & never had a worm or bad virus. Now that's what I call a great antivirus program. Tech support is great & they spend a long time with you if necessary until the issue is corrected.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I am generally happy with my Norton SW but I have had about five instances over the last three years where it stopped working for no apparent reason and required a remove and reinstall. Once upon reinstall I lost my backup information and had to back up from scratch.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I have used Norton for over 10 years. I have never had a problem. If you need help, there is online chat available. It is a great program! I have never had a virus!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I have used Norton/Symantec for computer protection needs since about 1985. An Oregon based company that I trust. They have helped when I have had a problem and I am confident they have their customer's interests in mind. They have a reasonable cost for multiple devices, needed today.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Years ago Norton found a virus, notified me and took it out, I have been a faithful Norton user since. Norton support has even helped me with other compatibility issues which I was not sure if they were related to antivirus software. The cost of Norton has always been decent.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

This is the only antivirus I've used for the last twenty years and it's always kept in good stead. Thumbs up. I would recommend this without reservation.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I have used Norton Security for many years. It has saved my butt many times. It is very easy to use. Once installed there is not much you have to do. It will update itself, tell when you have a problem and many other things.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

In one form or another, I have always used Norton. The very, very few times I haven't I've been unsatisfied. In my opinion, Norton is the easiest to set up and use. Support is outstanding, too.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

Years ago, my IP used McAfee and I still ended up with viruses. Then my IP switched to Norton. It was the best decision ever. I have used Norton thru my IP for over 15 years and had no problems at all. I love Norton so much then I purchased two computers this year that came with McAfee free for a few months yet, I still disconnected it to install Norton.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

My wife and I were directed to Norton upon purchase of our first computer. It maintained our computer until it crashed about four years later with no possibility of revival.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Overall acceptable service but it comes at premium price. It is up to the individual user to gauge the value. There must be a better product out there.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Have been using Norton for many years. Over the years it has continuously improved and no longer slow down my Laptop performance, For the past few years I have used the free version provide with my Xfinity subscription.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I have used Norton and was fine with them. McAfee was already in my new laptop for one year. When I bought my laptop, the salesman talked me into two years with Secure T. I like them all but Norton was most affordable. I used Norton for years and when finished with Secure T will probably go back to Norton. Price is important to me because they are all fine antivirus programs.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Been running for several years, and not had any issues with viruses. Downloads are prompt and updates frequent. It scans other install software too. Overall good product.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I bought Norton Utilities when Windows 7 came out - for Windows 7!!! Today I was rebuilding an older computer with Windows 7 - which Microsoft still supports and is in many way preferable to Windows 10. Norton wouldn't Activate with my License on the box. I "chatted" with a non-English speaker for a long time who had no answers, except to tell me they file accounts by email address (not License number or name). I've retired a number of emails and have no records. I then called and got the same information from another non-English speaker... until he unearthed that 3x5 that said "we no longer support Versions 15 and older". This was version 14.5. If Microsoft is still supporting Win7 and this product was made for Win7 - WTF. AVOID Norton. And above all, never, ever use the Registry Defragger in Utilities (ever).

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Norton does its job very well. But the price keeps going up every year. And I keep getting offers on their products even though I already have the service.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I've been a fan of Norton products since the days of "Norton Commander", say 1988. I have purchased McAfee, used the free AVGAntivirus, and been subject to TrendMicro at work. For free, AVG is great; but overall I trust Norton/Symantec for their products. Currently my ISP provides a Norton suite of software, and I'm glad they do. I feel Norton has protected me from some very intrusive viruses.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Norton Customer Service provides excellent support no matter what the issue. I had an occasion where I could not perform a virus scan. I called Norton and my issue was immediately resolve through Technical Support. In fact, the wait time was within seconds and the Technician was able to resolve this issue in less than a minute. Since then, I have had no further issues and have been a subscriber for many years.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Norton is good because once installed it performs periodic sweeps and checks all incoming posts. Also it has blocked me from suspicious sites. It checks my laptop at night.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I have had Norton since 2003 but like everything else some a virus to slip by and infected the computer. Furthermore there were problems two years ago when the website directed me to a PayPal account and fraudulently took my money. But all in all I have had McAfee but still think Norton is better. I like the Norton Identity. Custom service is excellent!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I use the service that came with my device. It OK but it is not bulletproof. I still get crap and have to clean it out of my device. But for the most part it it's not bad. But if you have not actually bought the software itself. The company won't help fix or correct an issue. So if you purchase a device with it on there and you have a problem you will have to buy the software for them to help.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I have used Norton Security for a lot of years and I like the idea that anyone can use it, or you have security help at your fingertips. Many, many years ago, I tried McAfee or something like that, it wasn't any time at all, right back to Norton. To tell you the truth, I don't fill safe without my Norton Security.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

With only one exception, on the relatively few times I've needed to call them in the last eight years, the Norton support staff has gone above and beyond to help me not only understand the problem and fix it but to help me reset/fix programs and settings affected by the problem. A few times this year there has been an annoying W10 Edge popup about legit or not origin of source of site clicked on that Norton doesn't "notice" -- not block or give mirror warning -- and that popup difficult or impossible to delete w/o signing out or restart; haven't questioned or complained to Norton about it; believe is Microsoft protecting itself/license.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Norton Antivirus will cause major dysfunction to any PC. There are many software providers which are superior to Norton. Norton is highly overrated and a poor performer.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

My husband and I both use Norton Security on our computers and tablet. I feel very confident that we are fully protected. I would definitely recommend Norton to family and friends.

Norton Security expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Norton Antivirus has been protecting computers since 1982 and was purchased by the software development company Symantec in 1991. The Norton Security division offers antivirus and other security solutions for home and business.

• Works across devices: Norton Security works across all PCs, Macs, smartphones and tablets, but you will have to upgrade to the deluxe or premium version to protect multiple devices. Annual subscriptions range from $59.99 to $89.99 across three versions, and discounts are offered for the first year of protection.

• Norton Power Eraser: If you suspect that traces of malware remain after scanning your computer, you can use the Power Eraser to restart your computer and then dig even deeper to detect the most aggressive malware.

• Strong anti-phishing: Norton uses several layers of security to detect fraudulent websites that try to steal your personal information. This stops identity theft.

• Award winning software: Over the years, Norton has been awarded by PC Magazine as a top choice in antivirus software. Awards were granted after thorough testing.

• 100% guarantee: If Norton Security can’t clean a virus from your computer or device at any time during your subscription, you will get your money back.

• Best for: Individuals and businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
    Shelley Elmblad

Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Norton Security (formerly Norton Antivirus) Company Information

us.norton.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use