1.10/5

formerly Norton Antivirus

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Norton offers online protection for your computer, tablet or smartphone. Choose from a variety of plans starting at just $5.99 depending on your needs. New plans offer LifeLock Identity Theft Protection and enhanced security for all your devices to give you the peace of mind that your personal data is kept secure.

BOTTOM LINE

Norton Security offers comprehensive digital protection services, from malware to ID theft protection, for one monthly price.

PROS

• ID theft protection services
  • Virus protection promise
  • Affordable plans

CONS

• Covers limited number of devices

Top Norton Security Reviews

This is the only antivirus I've used for the last twenty years and it's always kept in good stead. Thumbs up. I would recommend this without reservation.

I have used other software in the past and always ended up regretting that decision. Overall Norton has been the best for me. Their customer support is very helpful and 24 hours.

Norton Security features

Depending on which plan you select, Norton offers a variety of services to protect your devices and personal information. Their virus protection promise guarantees a full refund if their software catches a virus and their US-based restoration team can't remove it.

Plan features include:

• Lost wallet protection
  • Credit monitoring
  • SSN and credit alerts
  • Data breach notifications
  • Bank and credit card activity alerts
  • Fictitious identity monitoring
  • Court records scanning
  • 401k and investment alerts

In addition to these features, plans each offer a level of reimbursement for losses due to identity theft. Called the Million Dollar Protection Package, the feature includes stolen fund reimbursement starting at $25,000 and coverage for up to 1 million in legal fees.

Comparing Norton Security plans

The three most popular plans offered by Norton Security are the Standard, Deluxe and Select plans. While they have much in common, there are key differences in their parental control, ID theft protection and cloud storage.

PlanStandardDeluxeSelect
Standard10GB1$7.99
Deluxe50GB5$9.99
Select100GB5$14.99

Norton Security cost

Norton’s security packages range from $8 - $35 per month, or $40 - $260 per year. If you opt to pay annually, you can save up to $90 on the total cost.

Do we recommend Norton Security?

If you're worried about your digital devices or identity theft, we think Norton Security is an excellent option. Their partnership with LifeLock expands the scope of their offerings, allowing them to serve multiple areas of your life with one streamlined service. Affordable plans are available, and comprehensive options exist for added protection. Bonus features like cloud storage and parental control make Norton a great go-to for most digital security needs.

Norton Security Reviews

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

I have been a user of Norton for many years and during the past week have been very disappointed. On 1/10 I called as my PC was running slowly and the technical support person made everything worse. Also he left in the middle of cleaning a disc. The next day, I lost my tool bar, task bar, use of Chrome and restored these myself. On 11/12/11/13 and 11/14, I could not shut off my PC. I had to do it manually. Also, I lost use of applications and of backup. I spoke with several supervisors and was told a Tier 3 supervisor would call me between 1-5 p.m. Eastern time. No one called. I am still having problems.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

The product does not work with Vista as it says on the package! They wasted my day with let's try this and that. Even let them try their remote help to just waste more time and because I bought it at Curry's they wont be able to refund me for up to 4 to six weeks, and their staff say stuff like, "We will contact you back within a hour no they did not!"

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

Tried to take advantage of UPGRADE of LifeLock to include Norton 360. As the online offers seemed to vary from the one I was offered I called. Waited 10 min. Then spoke with three agents, each unable to help -- and was transferred then to one who was supposedly the go to person for this transaction. That conversation was bizarre: at one point, I was told that I was "talking to someone else in the room" and that was creating a "security issue." I live alone, explained there was no one in the room. Asked for supervisor. Another 5 minutes on hold. A supposed transfer but it was to another On Hold Line. Good products. Terrible customer service.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I have been with Norton for a few years now. I received an e-mail from Norton asking me to update my billing information, I realized that I had not updated Norton with my updated credit card however my subscription renewal was not for another month. I logged in and their account information said I had a balance for $5.99. I went ahead and updated my account. As soon as I updated my account a charge of $139.99 was charged, and I was notified while I was still on their website. I called immediately and requested a refund and to cancel my subscription. The representative explained to me that an email was sent to me 45 days ago about the renewal and was probably in my junk file about the renewal. As he was getting into a lengthy explanation that sounded like a script he was reading I received an email that they had received my renewal payment. In my inbox not my junk mail.

I stopped him and explained to him that what he was saying was not true and further Norton Security misrepresented themselves by not stating on the billing account that a renewal charge of more than $5.99 was going to be charged. I requested a refund and he did so but it could take 5 to 45 business days. I am not sure how Norton Security is going to retain customers if they continue to be fraudulent in their practice. This company is selling anti fraudulent software and then commits fraud themselves. They have lost my business.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

These thieves have stolen close to 700 dollars over the past 7 years without me noticing it because they auto renewed what was supposed to be a one time subscription. I was able to catch it by pure luck while deleting my emails and got a refund for yet another auto renewal for this year. I asked they refund me for all the years they've been auto renewing without my permission or consent and this lady from overseas tells me she couldn't do that. How is it legal to auto renew someone's subscription without them choosing or setting the option to do so. I don't auto-renew anything. Not even my Sprint bill or cable bill.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Norton Security?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

On 8/13/19 I signed up for Lifelock to help make my internet usage a bit safer. And you can probably see I am not able to use Lifelock because in less than 2 months of being with you, I have a horrible virus on my laptop and it is now useless. I had some other antivirus programs that caught viruses and warned me before they could do damage. But when I started using Lifelock, it rendered those other protections useless, as I have now discovered. I am now using an IPad and I will not utilize Lifelock. I not only wasted $262.49, I will need to purchase a new laptop and go back to the antivirus programs that actually protected me.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

I purchased Norton 360 Deluxe in a retail store using cash. I have used Norton in the past and missed the very fine print stating that a credit card or PayPal was now required for activation. Since I don't actually have a credit card I called asking how to get past the credit card requirement since I had already prepaid for a 1 year subscription. Their suggestion was for me to enter someone else's credit card and then delete it. Considering that they are supposedly an internet security company I cannot believe they suggested I commit fraud by using someone else's credit card. Sorry Norton. You have lost my business.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

I was a loyal customer for over 15 years with Norton as my Antivirus software provider. Last year I purchased an annual subscription not realizing my previous subscription was active with 65 days remaining, it was my mistake because I'd used a different email address and payment method resulting In 2 accounts. I phoned asking to delete one, merge info into a single, also whether I 'd get credit for the 65 days + the almost 1year I had just purchased. The representative stated I'd get full credit on both account and she sent me an email confirming my virus protection is good until May 2020.

Two weeks ago I received notice my subscription will expire Nov. 6, 2019. I called explaining the two accounts and the EMAIL Confirmation I Received from Norton Indicating the expiration date of May 2020. After two Exhausting phone calls NORTON REFUSED TO HONOR THE EMAIL THEY SENT AS CONFIRMATION as to when my protection would expire. Needless to say I will no longer be a NORTON Subscriber! I have purchased protection with another provider. Good Riddance Norton, you took my money and Failed to honor your confirmation.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I have been a Norton customer ever since the inception of the company and the latest version of Internet Security is the worse I've ever seen. Upon Startup, it locks up my machine on disk space (windows 8.1, core i5) for almost an hour as it does its thing. I guess that their new strategy for protecting the machine from threats is to make your machine unusable, very creative! Norton customer service recommended that I uninstall it which is fine by me as I've now gone to the website and turned off the automatic renewal and am now researching other software suppliers. Perhaps if they spent more money actually debugging their software other than on celebrity endorsements, their software would work to standard.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Norton is now forcing its users to install the Internet Security Browsing extension. Since the last update it has a permanent red Browser at Risk warning that won't go away unless the user installs the browser extension. It has a "fix" button that doesn't actually do anything and it has an "ignore" option that doesn't work either. This is **. I never wanted this extension as I have no intention of allowing Norton keep track of my browsing and banking information. Norton has crossed the line. There are so many antiviruses out there now that are actually better than Norton and less intrusive. It was just a matter of being used to it. NORTON HAS LOST ITS LUSTER.

Norton Security (formerly Norton Antivirus) Company Information