Norton Security (formerly Norton Antivirus)

Compare Antivirus Software companies

Research top Antivirus Software companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

The Norton Suite I have on my PC is the one from Comcast/Xfinity. Norton allowed Trojan DNS Changer to infect my computer. After speaking with Comcast they assured me that Norton tech department would help me to resolve this problem. After several phone calls they wanted to access my computer remotely. With all due respect I am not letting some unknown person, in god only knows what country to play around with my computer, and for $99 and if it was not removed it would cost more money for further attempts! I am now going to review Kaspersky and a few other highly rated programs and buy a full program with USA 24/7 support.

I purchased Norton Antivirus and tried to install it. An error came up saying it can't install on my computer, and to call a number. I called the number and talk to a "Norton" person or so I thought. He told me to check some things and then described how he could take over my computer to look at what was wrong. First mistake, I let him go remote on my computer. He found a lot of errors and possible hacker threats. He said they could fix that and I needed to talk to one of their techs.

Another "Norton" tech came on the phone and said he could fix the problems and then I could install the antivirus. He gave me about 3 options ranging from 99 dollars to 269 dollars. I repeatedly told him, "No, I just want to install an antivirus." He said I couldn't until I paid for some of his products. I admit the conversation got heated and words were said, he still had my computer on remote. After a long battle I said I was done and was going to leave, he said something about "Remember what you said to me" and "Let's see how you use you computer now" and did some things faster than I could shut it off. He hung up and my computer shut down, turned back on, and had a code to put in before I could use it. He hacked my computer. Now I can't get into it because it has a code.

Of course I called Norton back but got a person in a different state who said they couldn't and wouldn't do such a thing and they had no way of finding out who I was talking to, and gave me the runaround. I asked for a manager who was no help and just argued with me about who I talked to. Long story short I will never buy a Norton or Symantec product again. I will tell everyone I know and make sure all my friends never buy Norton products. These guys are hackers and have a terrible customer service. I can't say how mad I am and HATE Norton. Now I have a 40 dollar Norton Antivirus that is useless to me. Thanks Norton.

When I first downloaded Norton I got this bad feeling. IDK. So then when I got it I installed the extensions 'blah blah blah'. Then, at the bottom of my screen it said "Windows Firewall turned off". Also, it said "Virus Protection off. Click here to turn on". I was like NORTON GO DIE. I quickly pressed both things and turned them back on. I quickly uninstalled Norton, and searched up: "Secrets of Norton, worst security ever." I scrolled down a bit, and sure enough I found this website. Hopefully I can help some people by this. (:

I first want to say that the program itself is great protects your computer well. It is setting it up that will hurt your computer and your pocket book. I have used their new way by going onto their Norton.com/setup and it has burned me twice. How I got burned is there are web fraudsters using Norton's logo to enter their own site say, "We cannot set up your program because there is a virus in your computer, but if you pay $$$ we can fix it." First time scammed 2nd time computer may be infected. My problem is Norton has not fixed this problem and I am paying for it. This a warning for all who want to use Norton which has a major security flaw in their online setup. "How ironic" is this.

I discovered last month march 2017 Norton had been taking a yearly subscription from my bank account since 2012. I never received any product or antivirus and when I contacted them they refunded this year's amount of £79.99 and have ignored me since. There was no contact whatsoever as I deleted my aol email account in 2012. These people are white collar crooks. I'd advise anyone to freely download comodo dragon antivirus free. I've done so since 2012. A great, helpful company and free. No catches, no subscriptions, nothing required. Avoid norton con company at all costs. What they charge for is free all over the internet.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Norton Security?

It's more like a virus than an antivirus for your computer. Installed Norton Security on a sluggish laptop and in proceeded to slow down even further and would not invoke some of the apps. After working for hours and hours with third world auto bots they were able remotely foul up the machine so much so that it can no longer work in normal Windows, only in safe mode Windows. Worst product ever and the most incompetent service personnel in the industry. It would have been cheaper to take it to a tech geek who can speak English without sounding like he has a mouthful of marbles.

Had an issue with Norton Wi-Fi Privacy not loading on my laptop. Did a chat session with an agent (in India, I think) who connected remotely to my machine, then totally hosed my Windows and didn't fix the problem. I was finally able to get everything BUT the KEYBOARD to function properly. And, the machine runs so slowly now that it is almost impossible to use. So, I called tech support and got India again. He forwarded my call to the Wi-Fi Privacy "Expert" in India, who was at a loss and forwarded my call to another "Expert." This time I got a woman in the Philippines who described herself as a "Customer Relations Expert." Now we're getting somewhere, I thought. Silly me.

After putting me on hold for 5 minutes she politely informed me that my problem wasn't Norton's fault and that they would do nothing further to help me. I (not so politely) informed her that it surely was Norton's fault, and demanded she give me the phone number of someone here in the States to help resolve the problem. Get this: "We have nobody in the United States." Either she's lying, or Norton has absolutely no regard for their customers. Well, I'm uninstalling all Norton products from my various devices, even though my subscription has a while to run. Anybody have any suggestions for a good security company? I will continue to dig deep on the web to find a phone number for an executive with Norton or Symantec. I'm done with their products, but not with them. I caution everyone to avoid this company.

Norton security had been expired for a few days but still allowed me to click 'renew'. Later attempted to install on 2nd computer but support tech intervened, ran a check on both computers and told me both were infected with lots of malware and other bugs that were affecting performance. Windows 8.1 laptop has been on Norton since new. The other computer is 13 yrs. old with XP. The tech advised me it was possible that Norton could not be installed on the older computer but explained that for $349.95 he would do a thorough cleanup on both laptops.

I'm actually embarrassed that I fell for that line, that all our computers could/would become infected and eventually cease to work since it's always a network problem. Having paid almost that much to have 2 computers debugged in the past, the price didn't seem that far out of line. The XP laptop belongs to my husband and although browsing was his only activity on it, he managed to get around the web. I use the past tense because browsing is much more limited than before the so-called clean-up. Sure enough, Norton couldn't be installed on the XP and I'd purchased the Deluxe version that is supposed to provide protection for 5 devices. I'd already paid $49.95, plus tax, for another year's subscription.

This clean-up process started a few minutes after 7 pm and continued for the next 8 hrs. and 35 min. At some point after midnight I was told to expect a call at 9 am the following morning. Around 2 am I explicitly informed the technician I was going to bed and did so at approx. 2:30, only to receive 2 more calls within the next hour. Another tech called the following day and supposedly finished installing some protection on the XP. He couldn't access the computer remotely, although that had been done the preceding evening. I was asked to position the 8.1 so that he would be able to see the XP. I wonder how the finishing work would've been completed if I'd had only 1 computer.

So, I've paid Norton and their support team over $400, still don't have the protection I expected and have already been looking for a new laptop for my husband. This will certainly be my last year with Norton. I asked why my 8.1 had 67 bugs since Norton is the only security software that's ever been installed. The answer was something about a firewall and updates although I'd run a scan shortly before renewing my subscription. Even if I'm responsible for some of the problems, the language difficulty often makes a challenging installation extremely time consuming and tiring.

I paid Norton for about 7 years, the only time I need assistance it took my 2 days trying to contact somebody to really help me, the employees Santosh, Lyzajenn, Charmil, Bhupendar, Ankush, Simram they never help me at all. My computer is worst. Bad service.

I had a crash despite being a Paid Subscriber to Norton Security Premium, and Norton ID Protection Elite on March 6, 2017. On that day, 8 debits appeared on my bank statement all unauthorized by me. In essence, my checking account was hacked leaving me with no $$ and a negative balance. I had been unable to go to my bank until the 18th due to being sick and heavy snows. The bank is currently checking these unauthorized charges.

When I contacted Norton chat tech, I got paid my paid subscriptions back but in such a half-assessed fashion. I also told the chat rep about the unauthorized debits and gave the rep the name of the site. The twit spent a few minutes checking out the details I submitted and said, "That's not from Norton." Of course not, I clearly stated it was from "...." I ended the chat. What the heck is Norton Protection Elite all about? Have had problems before with these clowns but this on top of a hack bank account is beyond belief. I would not trust Norton to wash my dishes. Now I know why Norton does not participate in ConsumerAffairs - a bunch call centers overseas.

I was very upset when I got an email from Norton Security saying they charged my Debit Card 96.00 dollars for Internet security. First of all, I did not have auto-renew on. Second, they charged me more than double the price I could have found it for if I would have looked for it myself online. Third, they did this with no warning or permission from me 20 days before my Internet security even expired. Fourth of all, I was lucky that I even had the money in my account. The only reason I did was because I had just got my tax return. I will never use their service again. It is companies like this that I even need internet security for in the first place. To hell with them.

2 times in the past Norton Security Anti-Virus Software (up 5 computers) charge me $89.99... without my permission. I called wasted 3 hours on the phone and even got my bank involved on 3 way conference call to get my money the same day. I'm not waiting 15 days, Norton is worst company to do business with... for what! Software. They are borderline fraud. You don't charged people without their permission at the time of the sale. Even the BANK told me they have issues with this vendor charging unauthorized payment on customers... and their ruthlessness on paying customer back. I hate Norton. Now I have to cancel my debit card again!!!

Norton charged four subscriptions to my same five computers. When I found out they refused to credit me. I was on the phone for an hour with "Neil" in the Philippines who did NOTHING FOR ME! Do not use Norton and especially do not use anyone in the Philippines. Demand to talk to someone in the U.S. One hour waste of time, no solution, and stuck being ripped off due to no more time. This is why my friends all say never use an offshore customer service center. AVOID NORTON AT ALL COSTS. USE ANY OTHER SECURITY.

This the second year in a row they charged me $94 for an auto-renew on an anti-virus policy that I have cancelled at least once. It even got so bad that I cancelled my credit card (btw, a good way to get rid of MOST auto-renew services that you don't want, but NOT Symantec!) Somehow, Symantec tracked down my NEW card through American Express. (Thanks Amex! And btw your cancellation will be coming very soon as well.)

The only positive experience I can take away from this, if you can call it that, is that on the third annual cancellation attempt (i.e. just now) I actually was quickly connected to a rep, he was pleasant and processed my order promptly. Of course, he couldn't help himself into trying to pitch me on a discount they have if I want to continue with the service. Uhh, are you kidding me?? No thanks.

I cancelled Norton Security and auto renewal on 8/02/2013, however Norton's auto renewal kept right on billing my PayPal Card for three more years. I asked for a refund and am still waiting. This is unethical business practices and borders on fraud. Other reviewers of Norton on ConsumerAffairs have had similar experiences. Unfortunately, Norton comes install on most computers and offers a free trial period, which entices consumers to give it a try. What consumers have to remember is, that Windows also has anti-virus protection, so why bother with Norton. Norton is like a virus, you can't get rid of them.

When you subscribe to Norton they automatically put you on automatic annual renewal and I was billed for $139.41 while the current advertised price for the product is $39. They make it very difficult and time consuming to cancel. Such a shame because they have a good product and I would have been a lifetime customer if they did not resort to such unethical business practices.

Norton virus is a thief. This is the second year they’ve gone into my account and take out money to renew my subscription without my consent. Here is what happens, you buy their product and you don’t click their little box that tells you to "click here if you want us to renew you automatically next year." When your subscription ends, they send you an email letting you know that your subscription is about to end. Ok, thanks for the reminder but you disregard the email because you don’t have the money or you are not ready to renew.

Well, it doesn’t end there. They go into your account, again, “WITHOUT” your permission, renew your subscription and renew it at the highest costing product they have. I reported them to BBB last year, and they did it AGAIN this year. Why is BBB not protecting us from these thieves; these lowdown, dirty, unscrupulous, unethical and questionable business practices that has got to stop.

Most of the calls go to the Philippines. Some of their Agents do not speak English well, are slow, not well trained, have an attitude and some lie just to get rid of the call. This is a reflection onto Symantec. Is this the type of service a customer has to endure for over ten years??? I will of course not review the service!

I just wanted to comment on people who don't know how to set up their antivirus programs and then say bad things about them. Adjust the setting that says Remove Infected Folders to ASK ME and then when you're prompted you can choose at that time. Beware, when it's set to remove folder it might be a windows program folder and then your operating system will have to be reloaded. By default it won't remove folder. This is good. I have been testing antivirus antimalware programs for years on multiple computers and the paid version of Norton with all the settings adjusted right and turned on works best with the paid version of Malwarebytes with all the settings adjusted right. There is no one program that gets it all as of yet that I've found.

My biggest complaint with Norton is when you go to renew they want to charge way more than I paid before even though I am a repeat customer buying family 10 packs for years. The auto renew should always be turned off after you enroll. Log back in with fresh browser page and turn auto renew off. They all Lie and overcharge. I do recommend Norton if set up right and used with Malwarebytes paid if set up right. IF YOU'RE LOOKING SOMETHING PERFECT YOU NEED TO TALK TO JESUS CHRIST. This is my experience.

Worthless garbage. After a full scan, it removed my mail INBOX completely because it found a malware in an email from 3 months ago. I had 2 years of emails so it didn't even quarantine it. It just removed ALL emails instead of one attachment. Get something else. Tech support is worthless.

I called both companies on 9-22-2016. One said I had 1000 problems and one said I had over 10,000. Both wanted me to paid $199.00. I said "no!" I already subscribe to Norton antivirus and the carton does not say what it does cover! Both said it does not cover these types of problems. Clearly states what it does. Bought at Costco. Also covers 10 machine computers or iPods or iPhones "premium" etc.

Both wanted $200 to fix. One for only my laptop & 6 months. The other is for one year. Is this fair to consumers or pushing sales instead of just helping me? In the past Norton did not charge just to help. My computer (laptop) was not working properly. That is why I called them and "both took over control of my computer" because I needed help but not to buy. Thinking they would help, I gave them permission to both on the control of my laptop. It is converted tp windows 10 system.

Today, I went to Microsoft sales and repair in Cerritos Mall, in Ca. The repair person did a diagnosis and found NO viruses & NO malware or Kernel issues or app stoppages! One or both websites showed me the above issues to scare me into buying, but I didn't. The Microsoft company made me realize that the other websites were trying to sell me more product that I did not need to buy. Nothing wrong with my computer! Thank you Microsoft. The two websites are not consumer friendly (like me). I felt like I was being forced to buy their additional product and they want me to pay for help on a Norton product! I said NO way!! They need to be looked into on this practice. Please. Thank you.

I recently bought a HP all in one then purchased the Norton virus protection plan. When I put in my product key it would not load it. It says that the product key was good but the computer was not right. This computer is new with Windows 10. I contact their gurus, they were trying to fix it but then they tried to say that I needed to spend another 300 dollars to Microsoft to fix it. This is hwy robbery.

I have been using Norton Antivirus for over 10 years. I was very upset to see that I had an automatic renewal for my antivirus for $93. When I purchased it last year it was $59.99 and they are advertising it online right now for $39.99. Not only was I informed that this was for the Deluxe package (which I did not have or want), but my antivirus was not even due for renewal for another month. They have no right to take it upon themselves to upgrade my original order without my consent. Where they get $93, I don't know, because the Deluxe package is regularly $79.99 and is on sale right now for $49.99. When I called and complained they refunded me some of the money, but I will not be doing business again with Norton.

I began to deal with an extreme cyber harassment and defamation online thanks to Twitter, Marketing and advertisement companies, have been continuously been hacking into my computer and stealing photographs and reusing them. Using images of a friend that died many years ago, family members and myself, under insulting online companies. In the UK which are one of the most Racist and Discriminant countries in the EU have been worst. Government websites, medical official websites, complaints websites have all participated in this abusive, demeaning and extremely insulting online hate campaign. Sadly Norton are participating in this. I've been trying to use their secure browser and all of my searches are completely irrelevant or personal insults.

Received bill for $117.69 for Norton renewal. Did not authorize this charge. When I called the number for Norton on my Visa bill, I got an automated telemarketing sales pitch for everything from DirecTV, auto insurance, life alert, etc. etc. and could not get a live person on the line. I disputed the credit card transaction with my credit card company and reported Norton to the California State Attorney General's office. Received IMMEDIATE response from Atty General's office and credit to my account. Norton rep left message on my answering machine that "you automatically agree to yearly renewal on account unless you opt out when you purchase this software." I will never do business with Norton again due to their sneaky business practices.

Norton scammed me out of $96 and change for a subscription renewal that was supposed to include 25 GB of backup. They just tried to charge me more when I questioned why I was not getting it.

On 13 July 20.16 I received a threat notice of a Trojan.cryptolocker. I contacted support for Norton via chat and allowed a person from call center in India to help. I was advised the threat was removed yet the following days experienced many issues with my pc. I was no longer allowed to log in at all on my computer. If it were not for my access to my MAC to research the issue this pc would have become useless to me. This pc would begin to boot and simply power off. Over and over this happened until I learned, on my own, to reboot in safe mode, which did not always work, and follow internet instructions, not provided by Norton, did I get this pc to load to windows.

I stayed logged on because I only was using this pc to watch videos on Youtube only. If I powered off or logged out I was shut out. My original administrator login was no longer useful in starting the pc. If it were not for the fingerprint scanner I probably would not ever been able to use the pc again. Today I began to experience more issues and tried to go right to Norton and noticed all Norton icons and links were absent. Blah, Blah, Blah. Norton has greatly disappointed me and now falls to the category or trust as McAfee. If it were not for Malwarebytes, this pc would be in the trash. $1200 worth of crap because of Norton.

I did not realize that the Norton Internet Security on my laptop, (which I DO NOT USE), was on auto-renew. (Their emails went to my spam folder, so I did not see them.) I called in to Norton customer service to cancel the renewal and get a refund once I saw the pending debit against my account. The rep basically called me a liar and told me to stop talking. Then, he proceeded to try to tell me that I had to keep it and he would only give me 50% of the purchase price back. Considering: I had not really used the laptop since I took my bar exam in July of 2015; it is now July 2016 (a year later); and I have another laptop, surface, and desktop that I use consistently, why would I pay almost $100 to secure something that does not need to be secured? After he finally initiated my full refund, I asked to speak with his supervisor.

First he would not transfer me and insisted that I wait for a callback. I told him he could just place me on hold until one is available; it did not matter how long. He then put me on hold and after a few minutes, disconnected the call. While Norton may be a popular company, not all of the products work efficiently (i.e. Norton Wi-Fi Privacy Secure VPN for your mobile device). Furthermore, if you have an issue or want to stop using their product, the company does not have the best customer service. I could possibly understand if I was rude to the representative, used profane language, yelled at him, etc. However, I did not. Therefore, his behavior was completely unacceptable. I would caution purchasing a product when you may or may not receive any necessary assistance. There are several other products that can safely secure your electronic devices. Please do your research before making a purchase with any company.

I bought the Norton Security on or about July l, 2016 for five computers. When I installed it on the first one it had me call the company. When I did the man for the company said he would need to go in my computer and do some work to it. After he did for about a hour he installed it. The second computer the same thing about I need to call the company and he said he would need to fix it for a cost of $99.00 so I did. The third one the same thing, call the company. This time the man said it would be $399.00 to fix it. I told him to cancel the whole thing and give me credit for the $99.00 I paid for Norton and the $99.00 I paid for the man to do something to the other computer. Now when I use my computer I get a read out that says "Error" and reinstall Norton. What a MESS.

I've been a Norton (Symantec) customer for well over 20 years and the one compliment I can give them is that their products work. I've used their antivirus for over 20 years and never gotten a virus. Now that that's out of the way, let me explain why I entitled this Consumer Affairs entry "Unethical and Unscrupulous." You guessed it... It has to do with their automatic renewal feature. Now, despite not being aware and, if memory serves me correctly, specifically not signing up for auto-renewal, I somehow managed to enroll? So, today they billed me a whopping $89.99 for my two-computer licensure? I thought this was a huge jump from what I normally pay, so I stopped the automatic payment (which took 25 minutes because of course they don't provide you with any cancellation number or anything). Then I googled their current products.

My question to them "I can get the same product (different name but same capabilities, same 5-computer coverage) for $49.99 on their website. So, why were they billing me --- their repeat customer of 20 years -- $89.99? I thought they would want to know this. Perhaps there was an error? After a 45-minute discussion with a manager, all I can say is "I was wrong." They KNOW it's not fair, but they are just hoping the consumer isn't aware. Sad...

Expert Review

Shelley ElmbladFinancial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.    More about Shelley→

Norton Antivirus has been protecting computers since 1982 and was purchased by the software development company Symantec in 1991. The Norton Security division offers antivirus and other security solutions for home and business.

• Works across devices: Norton Security works across all PCs, Macs, smartphones and tablets, but you will have to upgrade to the deluxe or premium version to protect multiple devices. Annual subscriptions range from $59.99 to $89.99 across three versions, and discounts are offered for the first year of protection.
  • Norton Power Eraser: If you suspect that traces of malware remain after scanning your computer, you can use the Power Eraser to restart your computer and then dig even deeper to detect the most aggressive malware.
  • Strong anti-phishing: Norton uses several layers of security to detect fraudulent websites that try to steal your personal information. This stops identity theft.
  • Award winning software: Over the years, Norton has been awarded by PC Magazine as a top choice in antivirus software. Awards were granted after thorough testing.
  • 100% guarantee: If Norton Security can’t clean a virus from your computer or device at any time during your subscription, you will get your money back.
  • Best for Individuals and businesses.

Compare Antivirus Software