Consumer Complaints and Reviews
I downloaded Avira to try it. It offers a VPN, a software updater, etc. I downloaded all of them. Soon I noticed Zonealarm was disabled. I kept having to run another cleaner to disinfect. Terrible. It got worse and worse. I finally uninstalled the whole package. Now my computer runs like new. Fast. I don't recommend anyone to download this piece of crap. If you do, don't say I didn't warn you.
Avira boasts a product that is free. It's not really. After a while, they hold you hostage by making it difficult to get into email or websites by giving you a 44.99 renewal screen every time you try to get in. On their site, they offer 21.99 annual subscription. Go figure!
Was not able to solve update problem that required frequent reboot of cable modem. Lots of features and dependable protection considering that it's free. Very reliable for protection, not so much for issues caused by updates. I used Avira Free Edition for YEARS, and until recently I had no problems. However, early in 2016, I began having issues after every Avira update - I would have to reboot my cable modem after every single update. Got tiresome, so I switched to Avast. No such problems now.
Once you have installed this virus program you CAN NOT get rid of it. It will not uninstall.
Shelley ElmbladFinancial Software Contributing Editor
Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.
Avira Antivirus is a German multinational antivirus software company that offers Internet security for many different devices worldwide. In business since 1986, Avira launched one of the first antivirus programs.
- Cloud-based scanning: Avira has a very high detection rate for cloud-based scanning. When a suspicious file is detected, it is checked in real time in the cloud for faster service.
- Free: Avira offers free antivirus software, with more comprehensive protection with paid software Antivirus Pro at $44.99 and Internet Security Suite for $57.99. Instead of offering a firewall, Avira works with Windows Firewall. Avira is available for PC, Mac, Android and iOS devices. 30-day money back guarantee.
- System tune up: The highest Avira version includes tools for keeping your computer running faster and encrypting files to prevent anyone from hacking into them.
- Unwanted software shield: This feature finds potentially unwanted software that can be running from within legitimate software on your computer.
- Easy to use: Avira’s dashboard is easy to use, and antivirus settings are easy to find so you can tweak them to fit how often you want your computer scanned.
- Best for Individuals and businesses.
Compare Antivirus Software
Avira Antivirus Company Profile
- Company Name:
- Avira Antivirus
- Year Founded:
- 330 Primrose Rd., Suite 610
- Postal Code:
- United States