1.92/5
Based on 12 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

12 Avira Antivirus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I am an IT manager with 20 plus years of experience. I decided to try the free Avira Antivirus software in order to try before I buy. I was not happy with the persistent and continuous pop-up selling and pushing to buy the PRO version. I am also very unhappy that the software is written so that (much like a computer virus) the Avira Antivirus software will not uninstall using the standard software uninstall commands in Windows 10. Unless you enjoy being punked and harassed by malware on your PC, I recommend that you never install Avira Antivirus software and tell your friends.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I, also, just received update for Windows 10. When installing received message "Avira antivirus not compatible with this version of Windows, please uninstall." I have never installed Avira, and the uninstall contained no such application. A search of my PC could find no such program. So, Win10 update could not complete because of Avira, and I find no Avira on my PC: "catch 22".

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Horrible, horrible product - Even the free version that I have cannot be gotten rid of in the computer with Windows 10. If you try and get rid of it, even reading their instructions, it re-inserts itself next time you turn on computer!!! And that's just the free version! No way would I pay for it, and will advise many others on social media of my bad experience. They have known of this for some time and won't do anything about it. BOOO AVIRA!!!

Original review: May 20, 2018

Just received update for Windows 10. When installing received message "Avira antivirus not compatible with this version of windows, please uninstall." I Have tried, Revo Uninstaller, 10bit Uninstaller, CC Cleaner, Spybot Search & Destroy and Avira's own uninstaller program. NOTHING WORKS. This product seems to be a virus on its own. Would advise anyone NOT to install this software.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I'm a gray-haired software development professional. Over the years, I've used a plethora of premium (meaning pay-per-play) anti-virus and anti-malware programs. Most have been competent. None have been without drawbacks. My current kit...which I've been using for the past three years on all my Windows 7 Professional computers and Android devices... Is AVIRA Internet Security Pro, Malwarebytes Premium, and Lookout Personal. My experience with AVIRA has been totally positive. I use their Software Updater Pro, Browser Safety, and Privacy Pal add-ins. Because I frequently change computers, I've had several opportunities to completely uninstall the AVIRA product suite... A process that proceeded flawlessly and, verified by an examination of the REGISTRY, cleanly.

I'm sure that AVIRA, like any other protection software, doesn't catch everything. That's why I routinely back up all my data in the unlikely event of ransomware. That's also why I don't go looking for trouble on the type of Websites known for it (laugh). But here's the largest reason for my affinity for AVIRA: Their online control center is well-developed and functions flawlessly (unlike my experience with Bitdefender).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avira Antivirus?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

We've used this for a couple years on Macbooks. It's unobtrusive and quietly does the job. Recently, I read a few bad reviews about it, so I deleted it from my machine (no problem using the uninstall provided) and installed Kaspersky. Kaspersky had some problems, so I uninstalled it and tried Avast. I went through many procedures (found through online research), but could not get Kaspersky off my system, according to Avast. Also, I thought Avast was intrusive and annoying. Finally I removed Avast (no problem using their uninstall procedure) and reinstalled Avira. I wanted to post this review because I haven't had any trouble with Avira, unless you count that caused by bad reviews.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Cannot uninstall Avira after 6 hours - I've tried Revo Uninstaller Pro, IObit Uninstaller and spent hours in the registry and other files deleting everything I can, then having it replaced by Avira. A uninstaller file comes with the program but doesn't work, another file I downloaded from Avira is suppose to clean the registry... but doesn't, or, the registry entries are just replaced.

Original review: July 6, 2017

@Jim of Kaplan, LA... The reason the ZoneAlarm antivirus software got disabled is because if you have too many anti-virus softwares on your computer, it can actually cause more issues. Honestly, I haven't had much experience with Avira, but based on the reviews I just read, it doesn't seem all that great. MalwareBytes to me is a really good Anit-Malware program, but since there is no real-time protection, it can't be used as the main anti-virus software. Since I backed up and restored other files to my computer the other day, lots of things just basically vanished off it. So I am looking at reviews.

Also, this is for the person that said: "Once installed, you cannot uninstall it." I had that Same exact issue with Avast on my computer. Avast wouldn't even work at all on my computer and as soon as I tried to uninstall it, it would Not allow me to. There were only three options: 1. was to repair and there were 2 others that I forgot of and even when the software got repaired, it still would not work for me. Anyways, be very careful with how many softwares you choose to download and be sure to look-up and read reviews before deciding on whether or not, you want to get it for your computer.

Original review: April 24, 2017

I downloaded Avira to try it. It offers a VPN, a software updater, etc. I downloaded all of them. Soon I noticed Zonealarm was disabled. I kept having to run another cleaner to disinfect. Terrible. It got worse and worse. I finally uninstalled the whole package. Now my computer runs like new. Fast. I don't recommend anyone to download this piece of crap. If you do, don't say I didn't warn you.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2016

Avira boasts a product that is free. It's not really. After a while, they hold you hostage by making it difficult to get into email or websites by giving you a 44.99 renewal screen every time you try to get in. On their site, they offer 21.99 annual subscription. Go figure!

Original review: March 16, 2016

Was not able to solve update problem that required frequent reboot of cable modem. Lots of features and dependable protection considering that it's free. Very reliable for protection, not so much for issues caused by updates. I used Avira Free Edition for YEARS, and until recently I had no problems. However, early in 2016, I began having issues after every Avira update - I would have to reboot my cable modem after every single update. Got tiresome, so I switched to Avast. No such problems now.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2016

Once you have installed this virus program you CAN NOT get rid of it. It will not uninstall.

Avira Antivirus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Avira Antivirus is a German multinational antivirus software company that offers Internet security for many different devices worldwide. In business since 1986, Avira launched one of the first antivirus programs.

• Cloud-based scanning: Avira has a very high detection rate for cloud-based scanning. When a suspicious file is detected, it is checked in real time in the cloud for faster service.

• Free: Avira offers free antivirus software, with more comprehensive protection with paid software Antivirus Pro at $44.99 and Internet Security Suite for $57.99. Instead of offering a firewall, Avira works with Windows Firewall. Avira is available for PC, Mac, Android and iOS devices. 30-day money back guarantee.

• System tune up: The highest Avira version includes tools for keeping your computer running faster and encrypting files to prevent anyone from hacking into them.

• Unwanted software shield: This feature finds potentially unwanted software that can be running from within legitimate software on your computer.

• Easy to use: Avira’s dashboard is easy to use, and antivirus settings are easy to find so you can tweak them to fit how often you want your computer scanned.

• Best for: Individuals and businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
    Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Avira Antivirus Company Information