Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.37/5

Avira Antivirus Reviews

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

30 year history: Had paid Norton AV until tired of paying, so went to AVG Free. It worked well for a long time then started having problems so went to Avast Free. It worked well for a long time then started having problems so went to Avira Free. It worked well for a long time, now it fights with Zonealarm. A while after I'm not using my system something initiates a "Workstation Setup" that tries to communicate with C:\Windows\System32.. and Zonealarm throws up a Suspicious Behavior Warning. Days later I discover it is Avira doing it, and when I check "Remember this setting" and hit "DENY" it continually throws up more, until it tries other files to get into. No way to discuss this with Avira and no online help on this subject. Completely uninstalled Avira and reinstalled new results in same thing. It acts like it's their computer not mine. Now Avira OnDemand File Scanner is doing the same thing but at least it tells you it is Avira.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

Multiple viruses and malware. I had to get HP SmartFriends to get rid of all the malware and garbage it didnt catch. VPN comes on and off whenever it wants. If you log out you have to reset your password every time because it won't take your password. Called them multiple times about it, and girl acted as if I was bothering her. Even asked to get off phone to get to other customers when my issue wasnt resolved. Sent some email that had nothing to do with issues and had to call again, was on phone for 45 minutes till I just gave up. Also cell phone app eats up battery in background. Very expensive to be as useless as it is. Even uninstalling it from computer is troublesome. STRAIGHT TRASH!

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS GARBAGE! They won't give you your money back either nor reimburse you for having to get other people to fix your computer. I dont even go anywhere online to pick up any malware. I have a much better program now for a quarter of what this costs and is better in every way! You have been warned!

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 26, 2019

This product behaves exactly like a virus. It sucked up my processor speed, it installed over 100 entries into my registry and removed my administrative rights. It took over an hour to remove every little bit of that stupid program. And some of it is still on my computer, I just had to go into the root and make it inactive. DO NOT INSTALL THIS "ANTIVIRUS".

Original review: April 2, 2019

I have a paid for version of Avira Antivirus software but keep getting an Avira messages popping up on my desktop telling me to update software. However, when I click to update the software then I get to a page suggesting I need to buy another product for £21. I had one today about Firefox, which is free so why should I pay £21 to update it. No clear instructions about blocking these messages.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I hope someone does come to this site to look at reviews before wasting their money. I wasn't as fortunate. I had used the "free" version of Avira and had a problem in September, 2018 and was talked into paying $212 (and some change) to remedy the situation. This month (March, 2019) I found that I was no longer able to scan and contacted Avira. They informed me that my system was corrupted and that in order to remedy that I would have to pay either $300 or $400 to remedy that situation. I am livid and found that the technicians are demeaning and rude, no matter how many times they called ma'am. Save your money and keep your blood pressure in check. STAY AWAY!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avira Antivirus?

Original review: March 4, 2019

Avira used to be a good free antivirus. However, after a recent Avira update, my computer starts up with Avira TURNED OFF! I have to manually turn it on every time my computer is turned on. Still sticking with it, I took the on-line advice and uninstalled and reinstalled Avira. I made a huge mistake and clicked on the top google search result for "Avira free download." Apparently, Avira has changed things and this link downloaded "Avira suite" which also included Opera browser, Avira Free Phantom VPN, Avira Free System Speedup, Avira Free Software Updater, Avira Password Manager, Avira Antivirus Security, Avira Privacy Pal.

I did not realize this until after download because there was no page to show what is being downloaded and NO option to unclick each software. Other freeware also try to download additional stuff, but we always get option to unclick them! Worst of all, it is basically impossible to completely uninstall Avira and its other software through the usual means like Programs and Features>uninstall.

After multiple tries and partial success, I resorted to manually deleting the file folders themselves, which I wish I didn't have to. Even then, the Opera browser download cannot be uninstalled, as it was installed in some secretive way, requiring apparently Herculean efforts, involving registry manipulations and multiple layers of manual removal needed. I gave up. Do NOT install Avira EVER, especially Avira "free" Suite!!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

If you are using Windows 10, never download this product. It absolutely refuses to be removed. Worse yet, it prevents you from updating your system. Ironic how Avira Antivirus prevents your computer from getting important security updates when it's supposed to protect it. It's even more ironic that an Antivirus is harder to remove than an actual virus.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I was having a problem with Avira's Phantom VPN Pro not working. I tried calling customer support but when they answered they had a recording that said their phone lines are not open. I emailed customer support and still have not got a response after 5-days...

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Hi, I go by Jules. I do not care for the free Avira version. Based off the reviews it was a bit lacking on the appealing side. However in early 2017 I was impressed with the reviews, VPN option and other factors. I love the ability to in depth customize how your computer operates. It's very simple for anyone with a few years under their belt of running antivirus and malware... may be a bit much for a newer/younger person just getting started. In a nutshell, I never considered the free version per the null reviews - I wouldn't know. Anyone who comments that Avira paid version is bad is worth laughing at in a sense that they're lying unintentionally or intentionally.

My favorite feature is the ability to clean the PC, optimize it, the VPN, and updating PC software. I think I run Avira Prime and it lets you use the product key on 5 devices that can quickly be removed to or not to add a new device. Not only is it worth the buck, they also do so well at blocking intrusions of any sort. I haven't gotten any notices of them in over a year. And I've noticed zero issues with speed, I've not needed to restart from a back up or anything - clearly it works very well. Naysayers of the paid version there shouldn't be any. Anyone complaining of the free-version, well I think you should read reviews before running software on your computer, "What were you thinking?"

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I am an IT manager with 20 plus years of experience. I decided to try the free Avira Antivirus software in order to try before I buy. I was not happy with the persistent and continuous pop-up selling and pushing to buy the PRO version. I am also very unhappy that the software is written so that (much like a computer virus) the Avira Antivirus software will not uninstall using the standard software uninstall commands in Windows 10. Unless you enjoy being punked and harassed by malware on your PC, I recommend that you never install Avira Antivirus software and tell your friends.

Not sure about Avira Antivirus?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Antivirus Software for you.

Avira Antivirus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Avira Antivirus is a German multinational antivirus software company that offers Internet security for many different devices worldwide. In business since 1986, Avira launched one of the first antivirus programs.

• Cloud-based scanning: Avira has a very high detection rate for cloud-based scanning. When a suspicious file is detected, it is checked in real time in the cloud for faster service.

• Free: Avira offers free antivirus software, with more comprehensive protection with paid software Antivirus Pro at $44.99 and Internet Security Suite for $57.99. Instead of offering a firewall, Avira works with Windows Firewall. Avira is available for PC, Mac, Android and iOS devices. 30-day money back guarantee.

• System tune up: The highest Avira version includes tools for keeping your computer running faster and encrypting files to prevent anyone from hacking into them.

• Unwanted software shield: This feature finds potentially unwanted software that can be running from within legitimate software on your computer.

• Easy to use: Avira’s dashboard is easy to use, and antivirus settings are easy to find so you can tweak them to fit how often you want your computer scanned.

• Best for: Individuals and businesses.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Avira Antivirus Company Information