1.67/5
  • 1 star
Based on 6 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 16, 2017

6 Avira Antivirus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Cannot uninstall Avira after 6 hours - I've tried Revo Uninstaller Pro, IObit Uninstaller and spent hours in the registry and other files deleting everything I can, then having it replaced by Avira. A uninstaller file comes with the program but doesn't work, another file I downloaded from Avira is suppose to clean the registry... but doesn't, or, the registry entries are just replaced.

Original review: July 6, 2017

@Jim of Kaplan, LA... The reason the ZoneAlarm antivirus software got disabled is because if you have too many anti-virus softwares on your computer, it can actually cause more issues. Honestly, I haven't had much experience with Avira, but based on the reviews I just read, it doesn't seem all that great. MalwareBytes to me is a really good Anit-Malware program, but since there is no real-time protection, it can't be used as the main anti-virus software. Since I backed up and restored other files to my computer the other day, lots of things just basically vanished off it. So I am looking at reviews.

Also, this is for the person that said: "Once installed, you cannot uninstall it." I had that Same exact issue with Avast on my computer. Avast wouldn't even work at all on my computer and as soon as I tried to uninstall it, it would Not allow me to. There were only three options: 1. was to repair and there were 2 others that I forgot of and even when the software got repaired, it still would not work for me. Anyways, be very careful with how many softwares you choose to download and be sure to look-up and read reviews before deciding on whether or not, you want to get it for your computer.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 24, 2017

I downloaded Avira to try it. It offers a VPN, a software updater, etc. I downloaded all of them. Soon I noticed Zonealarm was disabled. I kept having to run another cleaner to disinfect. Terrible. It got worse and worse. I finally uninstalled the whole package. Now my computer runs like new. Fast. I don't recommend anyone to download this piece of crap. If you do, don't say I didn't warn you.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2016

Avira boasts a product that is free. It's not really. After a while, they hold you hostage by making it difficult to get into email or websites by giving you a 44.99 renewal screen every time you try to get in. On their site, they offer 21.99 annual subscription. Go figure!

Original review: March 16, 2016

Was not able to solve update problem that required frequent reboot of cable modem. Lots of features and dependable protection considering that it's free. Very reliable for protection, not so much for issues caused by updates. I used Avira Free Edition for YEARS, and until recently I had no problems. However, early in 2016, I began having issues after every Avira update - I would have to reboot my cable modem after every single update. Got tiresome, so I switched to Avast. No such problems now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avira Antivirus?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2016

Once you have installed this virus program you CAN NOT get rid of it. It will not uninstall.

Avira Antivirus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Avira Antivirus is a German multinational antivirus software company that offers Internet security for many different devices worldwide. In business since 1986, Avira launched one of the first antivirus programs.

• Cloud-based scanning: Avira has a very high detection rate for cloud-based scanning. When a suspicious file is detected, it is checked in real time in the cloud for faster service.

• Free: Avira offers free antivirus software, with more comprehensive protection with paid software Antivirus Pro at $44.99 and Internet Security Suite for $57.99. Instead of offering a firewall, Avira works with Windows Firewall. Avira is available for PC, Mac, Android and iOS devices. 30-day money back guarantee.

• System tune up: The highest Avira version includes tools for keeping your computer running faster and encrypting files to prevent anyone from hacking into them.

• Unwanted software shield: This feature finds potentially unwanted software that can be running from within legitimate software on your computer.

• Easy to use: Avira’s dashboard is easy to use, and antivirus settings are easy to find so you can tweak them to fit how often you want your computer scanned.

• Best for: Individuals and businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
Shelley Elmblad

Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Avira Antivirus Company Information