Trend Micro

Cupertino, CA

Compare Antivirus Software

Research top Antivirus Software recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I'm really not a fanatic of Trend Micro solutions as it has been proven to be ineffective with the latest "crapware". They are slower than competitors to post updates. And their management interface is user-unfriendly. One of my customers was infected by the latest "Locky Crypto" .zepto which was attached as a ZIP containing a per destination Email address "custom" base64 JavaScript to download the ransomware binaries in chunks in order to bypass Firewall protections. Once running on the client station it removes the shadow copy.

In no way Trend Micro Email Gateway, End-Point, nor server protections was alerted that an end point was having a suspicious activity on server by systematically processing each directory and files the user has read and write access to. I'm even thinking that the virus execution was triggered when it was sent automatically to Trend Micro (Some files correlates with the time the encryption process has started).

Now about security software in general: They should lock out a user which is bulk modifying or deleting files until an system administrator gives clearance. This would limit ransomware impact on a few files. Secondly, because Microsoft doesn't even comprehend the concept of sand boxing. A so-called security product should add a few keys in the SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICY in order to prevent execution of executables in %(Local)?AppData%(Temp\(Rar*|7z*|wz*|*.zip)|exe in order to allow easy clearance of legitimate software which downloads extra stuff while running their setup.exe (eg Firefox, Office) or achieve the same goal in order to prevent automatic execution of (un)wanted softwares (even if because of MS lack of sand boxing it has to prompt you to update Windows). Nothing is better than offline backup (external USB disks). Will make at least your data "safe" from fire, physical robberies Or and cloud storage.

Purchased premium cover for up to 6 devices. It causes Windows devices (laptops and surface pro tablet) to run at snail's pace or freeze completely. Forget about the master password protection - it expects some complicated master password to be created, that you have to use every time for it to log you in... Instead of the easily accessible, saved password that you would otherwise be using. Forget using it on your iPhone, it wants to be running in the background ALL THE TIME to do anything (such as tracking your data usage). Totally a waste of money - I had never before paid for antivirus software, having always been well catered for by AVG free. Cannot say the Trend Micro product is worth paying for, in fact, totally the opposite.

Sadly, I have been infected a twice with a virus and had to pay good money to have them removed. The most recent occurred May, 2016 and it cost me $159.99. I contacted Trend to discuss this, and, in short got nowhere. However, I did find out, after being a subscriber for 4 years that I could have contacted them for help. Who knew! I found out the hard way. I have been getting monthly reports from Trend telling me my PC is threat free. Yet I have been infected. Trend security has failed me miserably. I will not renew and most likely switch to Kaspersky's. Too much to explain here, other than NOT HAPPY with Trend's lack of customer care.

I am unable to get to my Facebook account. Thanks to Trend Micro. I understand Facebook's concern over internet security but this is ridiculous!!! I already use Malwarebytes and I have no interest in using the other company. I let them scan the system for viruses but I think I made a mistake. When I had an online chat with a representative about the situation they wanted my phone number. That's when I knew the whole thing was a scam and I refused. I am not going to give them money for something I don't want!! Now I'm not sure what to do.

The only times I had issues with this software was when I was renewing my subscription. For whatever reason the renewal either did not reload properly, or wanted to charge for another download. In each instance I communicated with the vendor and always had complete satisfaction with the fix. It was mostly annoying not trouble. After bad experiences with another brand I went with Trend Micro (was called Guard Dog back then) because of good reviews I had read. Trend Micro caught them all and always let me know what it was they stopped and provided a detailed report.

In the early days the price was less than the competition with what I considered to be much better protection. Like I have said; never did I have any kind of malware get through to my system & I used this software at least 10 years, maybe longer. The only reason I stopped is in 2011, I went with a Mac system and did not feel it was necessary any longer. I considered it to be quality software at a reasonable price. I used my Windows PC extensively for both business and personal use and never had any malware that made it into my system. I never had to professionally clean my system up of unwanted programs either. I especially liked that Trend Micro did the work I needed it to do without being very intrusive like many of the competition.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trend Micro?

They're very helpful and knowledgeable but lack a sense of genuine concern. I would have rated them better, but recently they made changes which do not allow other anti-spyware systems on my computer. There is no single anti-spyware is going to, by itself, catch more than 70-75%. I want the flexibility of using other programs such as Malwarebytes. Because of the aforementioned problem I will not be auto-renewing this year. I have always liked Trend Micro. Their Housecalls was the ONLY thing I found back in the late 90s which identified, helped me to isolate and then dispose of the WIN95CIH virus.

Whether I forgot my password or switched the activation from one computer to another one, it can be done promptly without a single phone call. It protects but not blocks even a suspicious website. If I confirmed that wasn't, the software will remember. It's powerful with half the price that I paid for other name brand antivirus software. It caught a lot of viruses without bothering me for 2 years in a row and I am still using it. Try it yourself to believe, I prefer not to hot sell it to other.

I was careless about access to my Facebook and Trend Micro has hacked my Facebook. I cannot sign into Facebook unless I purchase a Trend Micro product. I'm getting no help from Facebook and it appears that Trend Micro has invaded my network and massively slowed down my computer.

I bought Trend Micro Maximum Security for 3 computers. On one computer I continued to get a pop up to download the system. I am not tech savvy and downloaded about 3 of these pop ups. Finally, I realized that I was already downloaded and should of ignored these pop ups. After an experience with malware or some malicious intrusion on my computer, Trend Micro turned off. I tried to download the programs and was informed that I was out of downloads and had to buy the program again! There was never any instructions about the downloading so this took me by surprise! I called the phone # on my receipt and the tech person was deceitful. He helped me download one computer then told me to do the rest by myself and got off the phone. Well, guess what... The other two computers won't download unless I buy new programs! I won't use this company again!

I bought Trend Micro Maximum Security 10 as I was conned by a salesman at Best Buy. This is WORSE than junk as its practically Malware in itself! You get no CD only a card with "instructions". When you go to the website recommended, the card becomes worthless as I had at least 10 additional steps that are not stated on the card and most required making choices with no explanation at all. When I backed out of it for the "Help" it was even worse. No phone number of any kind whatsoever.

I watched their "help video" which was even more worthless. Instead of telling you how to get through the 15 or so steps just to download, it only told you about the product once it was downloaded. After an hour or so, I got to where I input the password to "activate" the product.. And even that DID NOT WORK! I checked the code 3 times and even had my girlfriend look to see if I missed a digit! It just did not work.. Period! I immediately took this piece of crap back to Best Buy. Total garbage! This company should be put out of business!

I bought the Trend Micro product at Best Buy and there was no disc. I tried to install it from the paper instructions, to no avail, so I requested a disc be sent via mail. Two weeks went by, and no disc. In the meantime, I have a new laptop computer without virus protection. I called Trend and spoke to a technician, who supposedly was going to help me install it. He took remote control of my computer, and told me my laptop had corrupted firewall, and in order for him to install the program, I had to pay $249. I told him I didn't have $249, and he said I could pay some then, and then pay the rest later. Today, 10/2915, I called customer support and they gave my info to a technician, who came on the line and asked for my email address. He supposedly sent me a link for the installation. I waited several minutes, and no email, so he sent it again, and told me to check the spam folder.

I ended up having to get online and access the website with his instructions. I told him about my prior experience with a so-called technician (I did call Trend Micro), and he told me there was no way I talked to a Trend technician - it had to be a scam. He was very rude, and I just dropped it at that point. The installation completed, and 30 minutes later, I got 2 emails from him with directions about what to do - AFTER it was already done! I have used Trend for years, but this is the last time.

I have used Trend Micro Internet Security for about four years, and I had always been satisfied. My subscription came up for renewal in August of 2015. I renewed and downloaded the package again. Maybe it's a coincidence, but ever since that day, my computer has slowed down to a snail's pace, and Mozilla Firefox started crashing at least three times per day. I can't even use Mozilla anymore. I called Trend, and of course they blamed it on my operating system (I still use Windows XP). Okay, but then why didn't I have all these problems the day before I downloaded the Trend package?

Been a client between 12 and 15 years - used auto renewal for many of them. Was satisfied. Approximately 18 months ago started getting malware infections (run a web based business with sensitive financial data and contracts on my home desktop), am very, very software savvy. When received notice that my Trend Micro Titanium was renewing on the 19th, phoned the company, spoke with sales and they recommended I upgrade to TM Max Security and save $20 the first year - that was on 12/18/14. Have always purchased premium support in addition. Was promised by sales that my auto renewal for the next day would be refunded with 7-10 days. I also canceled my auto renew at that time (new product wanted to be sure it worked as promised - which was it protecting me against malware as they said it would).

Received my bill and was billed for both products. Called TM and they said check next month's bill, we will process. In March 2015 it was still not refunded. Called back, emailed multiple times, have all the correspondence since December 2015 with PROOF I paid for both. Their offer is, since I did not cancel within 30 days - actually I cancelled the SAME day it was charged - that they will give me a "free" year. Not sure it's free if I've already PAID for it, is it? That's not my concern, my concern is I am still getting malware and they say their program does not work with the #1 malware program out there - which I had to cancel that annual subscription (which was credited immediately to my card) - and cannot recommend ANY malware program to remove the issues TM cannot. When asked for a customer service review, TM refused to post it as it was against their "policies".

Problem deleting Plan Renewel Message - When I recently bought a new laptop, it came with a free Trend Micro software trial offer. That offer has now expired, and I don't want to renew it. The reminder to renew the plan shows up whenever I log in and I cannot close it or delete it.

Last year I signed up for a year of security and paid with my bank debit card. Never could get a hold of anyone as I couldn't get it downloaded and wanted a refund. Blew it off. Just found a "recurring debit charge" on my account. 1) I never ever allow a recurring debit charge from anyone and I never approved a recurring debit from Trend Micro. 2) Lost that debit card got a new one. 3) How did they manage to get that money out of the bank since it was a new card. Yes I am checking with the bank to find out why it was allowed and will looking into filing fraud charges. If this has happened to anyone else please contact me as it only takes 3 for a class action lawsuit.

I bought this security program from Best Buy and installed it on 3 devices. I never had such a nightmare with a piece of shotty software. The security shut down when I turned off my computer and I would go into my settings and find them on public network and share all. I could never get a hold on the phone with Trend and when I called on the phone I got Trend Micro supported by iyogi which is another company who tries to sell you more protection. I ended up having to buy the system discs to a Toshiba and HP laptop which cost me &100 plus because when I uninstalled the software it ripped the Microsoft product key from the computer. Don't buy this because you will be very very sorry for trusting this company with your devices.

Trend Micro - This company put an Automatic Renew on all purchases. Beware that you will billed automatically every year.

6 month subscription that is done in 1 month. If you say it is for 6 months, it should be 6 months, not 1 month.

I have been with Trend Micro for 7 years with no problems until this year. When my computer crashed and none of my local computer repair stores could fix it, so I purchased a new computer and call the tech support at Trend Micro to help me obtain my existing account with them. He remotely came on my computer and then told me I had Malware and spyware on my brand new computer that I would have to pay him from $199 to $499 to remove it and it included Trend!

So I decided to try to renew Trend Micro online by myself. Now when I try to add my credit card info to the security protection part/identity theft it will not allow me save the info to protect my cards! I tried to call Tech Support again for help with their own product and they gave me the same number that I had called earlier. Something is wrong with this company now. The original owners must have sold it to some criminals from Middle East! Now I have to take my brand new computer to the local repair store! Thank you Trend Micro!

I had purchased Trend Micro Maximum security product including cover for 3 computers and one mobile. Needing the mobile security I tried to download it but message said 'will not work in your country' or something to that effect. After contacting support I am asked to download a different free for all mobile security app. I say this is not acceptable. I am asked to download another product which it turns out covers me for one month! My problem is apparently sorted. No way!

A one month free trial does not cover what I subscribed and paid for either in product offering or time that I am supposed to be covered for. To add insult to injury last email was patronizing and misleading in its summary of my subscription. Partial delivery of a purchased product is not acceptable and support in these instances must be considered and demonstrate transparency. Any product that is offered as a replacement should be of equal quality and value and the product support team should be considered and know the details of the case prior to response. Really poor service and apparently unable to provide in full what they have sold?

I bought my laptop from Best Buy a few years back and it came preloaded with Trend Micro. It was free for the first year and when it came time to renew I thought it had worked as advertised and all virus protectors were basically the same. Well the problem is every year I have paid a subscription fee for another year of service but I get messages saying the program loaded onto my computer is their 2010 version and I need to buy the latest version in order to get protection from the latest viruses. WHAT'S THE POINT OF PAYING THEM TO ANNUALLY RENEW IF THEY DON'T UPDATE THE PRODUCT? This is a huge rip-off. Don't use Trend Micro unless you want to buy the full product every single year.

I purchased Trend Micro Titanium Security from QVC about a year ago, cost about $100. All of a sudden, it was turned off and I have no clue how this happened. It's supposed to be good until 2041. (ha-ha) I am not a computer savvy person so this is very annoying to me! Anyone thinking of buying this, DON'T!!

When you get a renewal email from them, the link they send brings you to a new program that costs twice as much, and you can't even find anything about your renewal! After you renew, then they send another scam email telling you that YOUR SUBSCRIPTION IS NOT ACTIVATED. It then directs you to another upgrade that costs more than the first scam, and again the subscription is activated. BUYER BEWARE!!

I have tried repeatedly to cancel my account with Trend Micro. I have some documentation from 2010 where they issued a refund. However, they started billing me again a few years ago. I cannot get a response from them and their website says that they have no record of my account. Yet they keep billing me, and I cannot seem to stop it. This company should be avoided at all costs. I do not even own the computer that I used this product on anymore.

I bought my computer from Best Buy and their Micro Trend Product was already on my computer. When it was time for renewal or upgrade. Well I thought I was automatically renewing the Internet Security 2015 in place of the 2014 one-year version I had. Well it turns out when it asked me to upgrade from my mobile app, which I had with one other device with computer previously. Well it only gave me the product for computer. I then realize it was the wrong product. I cancel the order but still do not know when they will give me my refund.

The service had been deactivated for almost three weeks on my computer. Call in to the Geek Squad service office. Within an hour and forty minutes of trying to asked for a refund. Well two people hung up, got switch over to two people who put me on hold twice for thirty minutes. Also calls were re-routed around to wrong departments. So in the end no one actually told me if they would be able to help me or send me to the right refund department that could help me.

The online website to process for refund would not work correctly. Well they are quick to take your money, but do not know about providing the right service or upgrade. Then they don't care and constantly harass you. Please I just want my refund back. Wrong product, wrong service I cancel now. I like my money back for a service or product I did not use. Who pays for something they cannot use at all in life? No one. I just feel it was false advertisement and a false charge and would like my money back. Please advertise your services better especially upgrades and renewals. Customers get trick into buying your services in which some have no idea when it time to be renewed they will get a different service or product than what he or she had.

Please be very careful of this company. You cannot cancel your auto renewal software license with this "company." (I use this term VERY lightly). After 5 emails stating that I had canceled the auto renewal and the so-called customer services stating that they had no record of me (they had enough records to charge me!), I finally received an email stating that they had renewed my license at a cost more expensive than I could purchase new in retail. I immediately emailed them again stating that I had emailed them many times and demanded a full refund against a fraudulent service, and that I regarded them taking monies from my account as illegal and theft. Funnily enough, this provoked a response and I am getting a full refund. DO NOT use this company!

For almost a year my machine was slower than molasses. I restored and restore and never thought that Trend Micro Titanium would have been the villain. I removed it, which was very reluctant to leave. I have now a new machine with Windows 7 starter.

I installed Trend Micro in my computer that had been fine for three years. Immediately it became unresponsive and Google Chrome stopped working. I contacted Trend Micro and they blamed Google and said it is not a fault with the program and for a fee they would help me. I took the computer to a tech shop and they completely removed Trend Micro from the system and it had a little life in it. They went through the complete system and removed Trend Micro where ever it was found and now my system is up and running and this is the computer that had the problem. I was contacted by no less than 5 "techs" from Trend Micro and was never offered assistance other than an excuse. I will never deal with this company and have no faith in them.

They are total thieves! I have contacted my credit card company to cancel their "auto renewal" that was never authorized! These morons give a bad name to the free market. They must be related to our present king! Do what you want, screw them when you can. Pissed off, what ever you want.

I purchased the software CD at a trusted retailer, went home to install and was forced to accept auto renew after hours of installation with a message I could log in and easily cancel auto renew after installation. I went in after install to cancel the auto renew several times, it would show auto renew off and I would log off. If I logged in again to check status, it would show auto renew on. I auto renewed off yet again and logged out. The computer I installed the software in never ran the same, I was within hardware specs required, but the system became so slow with the new Trend Titanium Antivirus ware that I threw it out.

A year later auto renew charges struck. I challenged them, I lost. Yet again, could not find a way to cancel auto renew. Trend site looks easy, click on the options, go in circles waste hours of time. Another year later, I challenge them again. Still can't figure out how to cancel the auto renew for the software. If you are very careful you can find a link to a service to handle changes to auto renew that requires you to enter your credit card from two years earlier that you don't have, or an order number (I have the original 20 digit number and password yet can't get in).

I'm expecting another charge in a few days. Deliberate obfuscation so that my money can be taken is thievery. When did Americans give up their rights to civil contract law and go straight corporate contract law with the click of a mouse. I only clicked as I felt my computer was then hostage to completing a process that involved complicated updates. I wish I had never purchased the CD. I wish anyone had warned me I was going down a long path that would get harder and harder to get out of.

Expert Review

Shelley ElmbladFinancial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.    More about Shelley→

Trend Micro is a global security software company that was founded in Los Angeles, CA, in 1988. They develop security software for the home, business and cloud computing environments.

• Free trial: The company offers a 30-day free trial. Trend Micro is available for PC, Mac, Android, iOS and Kindle devices. There’s a 30-day money back guarantee on paid products.
  • Security options: A number of different price points are available depending on which level of security is needed for one or multiple PCs priced from $34.95 to $49.95. Mac software is $29.95 per computer.
  • Web monitoring: Trend Micro can monitor and control which websites are visited to prevent kids or employees from visiting certain sites.
  • Ransomware protection: Ransomware encrypts files to make them inaccessible, then the computer user is charged a fee to get a key to decrypt files so they can be used again. If Trend Micro detects an attempt to encrypt files, it quickly backs up those files up then fights the encryption.

• Social network privacy: Trend Micro checks privacy settings on Facebook, Google+, Twitter and LinkedIn and lets you know if you’re open to identity theft.
  • Best for Individuals, families and businesses.

Compare Antivirus Software