2.03/5
Based on 63 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Cupertino, CA

71 Trend Micro Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

I bought their 12 month 6 device protection and they stopped it a few months later without notifying me... My computer has been hacked and now my business website is not accessible from my computer. My website I have worked so hard on and everything is on my computer... I have lost out on so much business because of them. This has been so extremely upsetting. I rang them the other day and they told me bad luck. Refused to refund me my money etc... I have now had legal advice, have been in touch with the ACCC and we are taking this further. Next step is Department of Fair Trading. You are not going to get away with ripping people off. GO WITH NORTON PEOPLE - SAVE YOUR TIME, MONEY, COMPUTER AND SANITY.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I have not renewed my subscription for 3 years but they keep on ILLEGALLY charging my credit card each year. When I call they promise to remove the charges but never do! Plus all calls are sent overseas so my concerns fall on deaf ears!

Trend Micro | Reviews • Complaints • Ratings | ConsumerAffairs

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Resolution response: March 30, 2018

Trend Micro contacted me and resolve the issue that I had. Thank you.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I am 2 year Trend Micro user and contacted them to get some help. Requested money for advice? When I told them that I am a user and I have requested the person's name and employee ID. Reply was my name and my phone number. What a disgusting customer service that Trend Micro got? Cheers for all users.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I have never experienced such bad customer service. We have TM (Trend Micro Endpoint Security) for business at work. I have raised a support case with them in December and now end of February it is still unresolved. I keep chasing every few days or so and each time I am told they are working on it. Admittedly the issue reported is slightly non-standard, but my impression really is that they are just waiting until I give up. I will seriously reconsider renewing this product and recommending to any of my customers.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

**WARNING** --- I purchase Internet Security Maximum for (5) users, which also included their software called Password Manager. So I asked how do I set the Password Manager for each user. They told me that each user would have to set up a Trend Micro user/password for each user to keep each users password separate in Password Manager. The master user/password that you use to set up your Trend Micro account is the ONLY user that get to use Password Manager with unlimited passwords. All others gets to use a TRIAL VERSION before it asks for MONEY to buy/activate additional users. Do not purchase for multiple users unless you want to keep spending money. VERY MISLEADING... RIP-OFF...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trend Micro?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I have been using Trend Micro Maximum Security for a few years & protection has been fine. I have a problem with their renewal though. My subscription date is December. In October I started receiving renewal offer emails from them. They offered a pretty good deal, so I took it. When I checked my subscription it showed that I had added a year. I had changed credit cards, though, & couldn't afford to have them bill Auto Renewal to the card # I had on file. I very specifically turned OFF Auto Renewal & double-checked it. Suddenly in December I got an email saying my subscription had been renewed. When I checked I found that my subscription was now paid till December 2019. I called in & the agent refunded the extra year & gave me 2 months free subscription, but I sure don't trust them anymore & them billing the wrong credit card will cost me. The agent never apologized for what happened, so I'm doubtful it was an accident.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Easy to use, easy to install. I've always felt like they are really keeping track of the bad stuff out there. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to set up the auto scan function.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I feel safe and have not had a problem using Trend Micro. I have used it for over 10 years. I like they help direct me away from potentially harmful sites.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I purchased a lifetime deal for this software, but it will not transfer over to the new updates. They want me to pay for the upgrade. Also, the software blocks me from downloading Microsoft Word updates as well as my HP printer. I do not mind the protection, but it has made my life a little more difficult using programs that I do need.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I've used this service for the past 3-4 years. Don't see a heck of a lot of difference between them and Norton or McAfee. They run the usual scans and inform me of their results same as the others that I mentioned and once used.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I love this software and used it for about 5 years. Just wish it didn't cost so much. But you do get what you pay for and I would not trade it for another virus protection. You can use it on multiple devices and I use it on my Samsung Galaxys8+ and my Tab.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I had McAfee for a couple of years, and I turned off the auto-renewal option, because I think it's overpriced, and the corporation I work for used Trend Micro for approximately 750 employees. Trend Micro allows you to protect up to 5 devices, and I've now protected my iPhone, my last computer which was a Lenovo that crashed and required replacement, and I now have Trend Micro on my Dell. Trend Micro also emails each user a monthly report of all of the scans conducted, and anything malware, viruses, and all other issues that could jeopardize security of personal information. To date, I've received two reports, and the "heath" of both computers, Lenovo and Dell, are both safe and sound. It's actually the most effective software at the lowest price.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I find this software easy to use and very reliable. I've never contracted a virus and have always been warned of suspicious files, websites or emails. It makes me feel safe.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I'm a computer tech and I've used this software for many years. It stops all intrusion attempts into my computers and is much better than all other similar software.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

This software is fabulous and the support team can't be beat. It was the ONLY antivirus software that was able to clean a virus off my computer. At the time that I got the virus I did not have Trend Micro, however, they provided a FREE virus scan and cleaned my computer. I have been with them for about 12 years now and have not had a virus since then. They are the best!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I get their premium pack for 3-5 P.C.s (it's been so long now), PLUS I am protecting 2 Smartphones! IF I feel something has gotten through I do a quick scan with both "MalWare Bytes" as well as "Avast!" & wham-bam, thank you ma'am.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Great product, no spam emails, and it gives a monthly report. Have used it for about 4 years for all desktops and has worked efficiently and quick. Excellent, highly recommend.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I've recently had my laptop completely overhauled and so I wanted to make sure I got safe, predictable antivirus protection. I went to a officeworks store and purchased trend micro maximum security internet protection and followed the directions in the packet. I got this problem straight away saying that although it recognized my validation code, it was unable to be activated until I called the number on the screen.

I called it and it all seemed kosher until this guy said it wouldn't work and could he remotely access my pc as there were some problems with the settings and he could fix them. I thought this was possible since my computer was like new and I hadn't done anything to it yet. So he was bringing up all these complex looking system files one after the other and said that I had a serious problem, a few of them, firstly my IP address has been compromised, and that the settings showed a bunch of insecured violations from somebody who had accessed my computer and kept saying complicated jargon that totally freaked me out. My hair was standing on end!!

He said he could fix it all up, and also give me another year of trend micro free for the bargain price of $299!! Isn't that wonderfully generous! I nearly swallowed my tongue, and just said, "No I can't afford that." He then gave me $100 off so a bargain price of just $199. I said I still can't do it, he basically just hung up on me. I spent the next few days trying to find out what was wrong with my computer, my IP address and wondering what the hell I was gonna do with this internet security that I had just wasted $40 on.

I went on their site (not the one listed on the pack) and lo and behold the site looked different, the phone number was different. So I called them and they had no reference to me having ever calling and trying to activate my license, at all. I was able to activate my antivirus with no problem. I then told him about my experience and he didn't seem overly concerned at all.

I had to really emphasize the fact that I purchased this pack from a very large, well known chain and it was obviously a scam. He asked me for the link address and once I told him said that it was an old expired web address that they no longer use. He really couldn't have cared less. I emphasized again that he needed to tell the manager or something. He said okay and hung up.

I kept getting emails from Trend Micro, I'm not sure why but they were driving me crazy with them. I ignored them and finally after 2 weeks, for some reason it's asking me for the activation code again, like I never even had it, or purchased or activated. I had returned the pack to the store and they are dealing with the fake packs as well they gave me a refund, so I uninstalled it and will NEVER use it again or recommend it to anyone.

VERY suspicious, it's possible the whole company (Trend Micro) has been compromised by either disgruntled ex-employees or employees who are moonlighting for extra cash. Dangerous anti virus, seems a new way of these scumbags to get to us and our hard earned money. I work 3 frickin jobs to make my ends meet, I don't lie and cheat and pretend to be someone I'm not. I no longer trust these Asiatic call centre types. They cannot be trusted.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I have used Trend for over 6 years. I have only had to call their CS department once. It is very easy to install on your cell and laptop. We have it downloaded on 3 of our devices.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Trend micro seems to keep viruses off my laptop. It offers a choice of a quick scan which takes only a few minutes or a thorough scan which takes about an hour or more. I feel the full scan offers good protection.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I am glad that I changed to Trend Micro for my antivirus and ransomware protection. I use it on all my devices as well as my phone and have had good results. On occasion it has found that someone was trying to gain access to one of my computers and I was alerted immediately. Another reason I am pleased with Trend Micro is that I have control of the software on my computers and that application on my android devices. I would highly recommend Trend Micro for home or for a business.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I had been a long time user of Trend Micro products... on 5 PCs. Because Trend Micro's antivirus protection was slipping and because their price per seat was rising, I went with Norton Antivirus. Well, guess what's been showing up on my PC and displaying unwanted popups, Trend Micro! I had run Revo Uninstaller and tried to get rid of them. They won't go away. Question, do you want to trust your data to a company that gets into your computer and won't go away? I no longer trust or respect Trend Micro.

Original review: July 22, 2017

Well I got Trend Micro with a new computer. It worked initially, but then nothing on the Internet would load, until I took Trend Micro off of the computer. Then, when I did that, everything went back to normal. I do not recommend it, Norton is much better!

Original review: July 20, 2017

Trend Micro has been ripping us off for years. We just learned that Trend has been charging us for their Antivirus software renewals for 3 years even though we don't even own that computer anymore. It crashed 3 years ago under the watchful protection of their great software so there was no way to cancel the renewal that we unknowingly signed up for. This type of "fine print" authorization should be against the law and Trend should be ashamed of scamming people that have not even updated their software in years. They lost a customer for life and I will trash them every chance I get unless they refund our money.

Original review: July 17, 2017

When adding additional licenses on Trend Micro they will charge the full term cost, but short term end your new added licenses to the expiration date of your previous licenses. They only show the short term end date of the added licenses after payment and check out. Called customer support but they would not adjust the price to fit the short term of the added licenses. Trend Micro scams their own customers!

Original review: May 12, 2017

This software was inefficient and hard to use so I canceled it 2 years ago and replaced it with Avast, which is excellent. Trend Micro charged my bank card $80 without any notification a month ago. When I called to reverse the charge, they claimed it had exceeded a 30 period (whatever that means) and would not reverse the charge. This is FRAUD. A charge of this kind should always be accompanied by a notification email. Don't buy this product!

Original review: March 5, 2017

Badly slows down PC, for few minutes after boot, the PC is effectively useless when TM starts. And the user is NOT able to kill TM process at that stage. Then when TM stabilizes it non stop eats ~ 50% of the CPU. The only way to make the PC functional again is to EXIT the TM (luckily at this stage this is at least possible). So in summary on the fly security protection is gone (after exiting TM) which denies the purpose of buying security SW for an online protection. But I must admit that at least the SCAN run manually yielded 100% clean PC so far. I contacted TM about the amount of CPU that it steals and I have received NO REPLY - They simply do not care!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2016

Someone with a computer name ** used my name, license number, etc. to install the software. I don't know this person and have never given my information out to anyone. TM customer service was EXTREMELY unhelpful in this regard - quite rude actually! Refused to issue me another license #. Also, the software is largely useless - lets hackers through Internet Security AND slows down my computer significantly. I changed my PW several times, with no effect whatsoever. I wish I could rate it a ZERO or even minus zero.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

I'm really not a fanatic of Trend Micro solutions as it has been proven to be ineffective with the latest "crapware". They are slower than competitors to post updates. And their management interface is user-unfriendly. One of my customers was infected by the latest "Locky Crypto" .zepto which was attached as a ZIP containing a per destination Email address "custom" base64 JavaScript to download the ransomware binaries in chunks in order to bypass Firewall protections. Once running on the client station it removes the shadow copy.

In no way Trend Micro Email Gateway, End-Point, nor server protections was alerted that an end point was having a suspicious activity on server by systematically processing each directory and files the user has read and write access to. I'm even thinking that the virus execution was triggered when it was sent automatically to Trend Micro (Some files correlates with the time the encryption process has started).

Now about security software in general: They should lock out a user which is bulk modifying or deleting files until an system administrator gives clearance. This would limit ransomware impact on a few files. Secondly, because Microsoft doesn't even comprehend the concept of sand boxing. A so-called security product should add a few keys in the SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICY in order to prevent execution of executables in %(Local)?AppData%(Temp\(Rar*|7z*|wz*|*.zip)|exe in order to allow easy clearance of legitimate software which downloads extra stuff while running their setup.exe (eg Firefox, Office) or achieve the same goal in order to prevent automatic execution of (un)wanted softwares (even if because of MS lack of sand boxing it has to prompt you to update Windows). Nothing is better than offline backup (external USB disks). Will make at least your data "safe" from fire, physical robberies Or and cloud storage.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2016

Purchased premium cover for up to 6 devices. It causes Windows devices (laptops and surface pro tablet) to run at snail's pace or freeze completely. Forget about the master password protection - it expects some complicated master password to be created, that you have to use every time for it to log you in... Instead of the easily accessible, saved password that you would otherwise be using. Forget using it on your iPhone, it wants to be running in the background ALL THE TIME to do anything (such as tracking your data usage). Totally a waste of money - I had never before paid for antivirus software, having always been well catered for by AVG free. Cannot say the Trend Micro product is worth paying for, in fact, totally the opposite.

Trend Micro expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Trend Micro is a global security software company that was founded in Los Angeles, CA, in 1988. They develop security software for the home, business and cloud computing environments.

• Free trial: The company offers a 30-day free trial. Trend Micro is available for PC, Mac, Android, iOS and Kindle devices. There’s a 30-day money back guarantee on paid products.

• Security options: A number of different price points are available depending on which level of security is needed for one or multiple PCs priced from $34.95 to $49.95. Mac software is $29.95 per computer.

• Web monitoring: Trend Micro can monitor and control which websites are visited to prevent kids or employees from visiting certain sites.

• Ransomware protection: Ransomware encrypts files to make them inaccessible, then the computer user is charged a fee to get a key to decrypt files so they can be used again. If Trend Micro detects an attempt to encrypt files, it quickly backs up those files up then fights the encryption.

• Social network privacy: Trend Micro checks privacy settings on Facebook, Google+, Twitter and LinkedIn and lets you know if you’re open to identity theft.

• Best for: Individuals, families and businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
    Shelley Elmblad

Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Trend Micro Company Information