3.30/5

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Cupertino, CA

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Trend Micro Reviews

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I wish there was a -star..one star is way too much. They tried to scam me out of $15,000.00 when I asked for a refund. They hire rude people. Their call center isn't even in this country. It's in India. Never give them access to your computer even if they are support. They can not be trusted. If you use them you will be doing at your own risk. There are better antivirus programs out there.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I had to reset my computer three times when I had it because when I put on, it would not allow me to do anything. Some mysterious reason, it crashed my computer. Took it off after some frustration. Mine did not work with Gmail nor Firefox. Since taking it off and putting another well-known antivirus on my computer works perfectly.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

I purchased Trend Micro Web Security for PlayStation®4 (Add-On Content) 19.99. Trend Micro Kids Safety for PlayStation®4 (Add-On Content) 19.99 a year ago. I never used it nor where there any instructions on how to configure it. In the fine print I found out the hard way you automatically renew people. You then went ahead and charged me for both of those through Sony without my consent on 8/18: I disputed the charges (since I never used the software originally nor did I authorize the renewal nor did I have the knowledge of checking if there was an auto renewal setting to uncheck because there were no instructions in the original purchase.)

Sony then locked me out of using all the games on my PS4 because I refused to pay for your software that I didn't use or authorize the renewal for. This is totally unacceptable. Sony's customer service rep refused to unlock my gaming account without paying for this. I am letting the community know about your horrible practices with customers and I can assure I am not purchasing your software anymore and I am switching gaming systems due to Sony protecting you. The next system will be an X Box.

Original review: July 30, 2019

We called to ask for help on how to add a device under their protection. The man that we talked to was super rude and was talking to us like we were dumb. If you need help, good luck if he answers the phone.

Original review: July 9, 2019

Best Buy cancelled its contract with Kaspersky and offered me Trend Micro for the remainder of the contract which expires in August 2019. A few weeks ago TM kept sending me daily messages that it was scanning my laptop at a specific time on that day. It never happened. I finally contacted TM who then removed the message and as I found out today, the remainder of my contract without any prior notice. This gives me concern signing up with TM again as they seem to be unreliable. For some odd reason, they allowed me to keep their Password Manager... HaHa.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trend Micro?

Original review: April 13, 2019

I just bought a new laptop and the seller gave me a card with a key number on it for a free one year subscription. When I tried downloading the anti-virus protection it errored out and told me to call their 1-800 number which I did. They asked to remotely connect to my system which I allowed because I was given this from a trusted source. They said they would do a scan and call me back. I watched them while they worked on my system. About 10 mins later I get a call back from Devon, he has told me my call has be passed to him due to the severity of the issues found.

He essentially used scare tactics to tell me my entire brand new system out of the box had been compromised. I immediately told him to disconnect from my system! He wanted me to buy all sorts of services and I knew this was a scam. My computer had been out of the box for less than an hour and did not have any files on it, impossible it was compromised. I called my work IT and they helped me to a factory reboot to clear any malware they would have put on my computer and allow me to start fresh. I was panicked for a few hours, it was a horrible feeling. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY!

Original review: June 18, 2018

I bought their 12 month 6 device protection and they stopped it a few months later without notifying me... My computer has been hacked and now my business website is not accessible from my computer. My website I have worked so hard on and everything is on my computer... I have lost out on so much business because of them. This has been so extremely upsetting. I rang them the other day and they told me bad luck. Refused to refund me my money etc... I have now had legal advice, have been in touch with the ACCC and we are taking this further. Next step is Department of Fair Trading. You are not going to get away with ripping people off. GO WITH NORTON PEOPLE - SAVE YOUR TIME, MONEY, COMPUTER AND SANITY.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I have not renewed my subscription for 3 years but they keep on ILLEGALLY charging my credit card each year. When I call they promise to remove the charges but never do! Plus all calls are sent overseas so my concerns fall on deaf ears!

Resolution response: March 30, 2018

Trend Micro contacted me and resolve the issue that I had. Thank you.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I am 2 year Trend Micro user and contacted them to get some help. Requested money for advice? When I told them that I am a user and I have requested the person's name and employee ID. Reply was my name and my phone number. What a disgusting customer service that Trend Micro got? Cheers for all users.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I have never experienced such bad customer service. We have TM (Trend Micro Endpoint Security) for business at work. I have raised a support case with them in December and now end of February it is still unresolved. I keep chasing every few days or so and each time I am told they are working on it. Admittedly the issue reported is slightly non-standard, but my impression really is that they are just waiting until I give up. I will seriously reconsider renewing this product and recommending to any of my customers.

Trend Micro expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Trend Micro is a global security software company that was founded in Los Angeles, CA, in 1988. They develop security software for the home, business and cloud computing environments.

• Free trial: The company offers a 30-day free trial. Trend Micro is available for PC, Mac, Android, iOS and Kindle devices. There’s a 30-day money back guarantee on paid products.

• Security options: A number of different price points are available depending on which level of security is needed for one or multiple PCs priced from $34.95 to $49.95. Mac software is $29.95 per computer.

• Web monitoring: Trend Micro can monitor and control which websites are visited to prevent kids or employees from visiting certain sites.

• Ransomware protection: Ransomware encrypts files to make them inaccessible, then the computer user is charged a fee to get a key to decrypt files so they can be used again. If Trend Micro detects an attempt to encrypt files, it quickly backs up those files up then fights the encryption.

• Social network privacy: Trend Micro checks privacy settings on Facebook, Google+, Twitter and LinkedIn and lets you know if you’re open to identity theft.

• Best for: Individuals, families and businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
      Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Trend Micro Company Information