Cupertino, CA

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.78/5

Trend Micro develops security software for home, business and cloud computing environments. The company offers a free 30-day trial, and its software is compatible with PCs and Macs as well as iOS, Android and Kindle devices. Additional features include web monitoring and ransomware protection. Security software pricing starts at $39.95.

Trend Micro Reviews

Original review: May 11, 2020

I've been working with Trend Micro software for over 15 years. The corporation I worked with for many years used their enterprise protection, and I've used their consumer/home protection. Overall I've been happy with the software; useful reports across multiple devices, and effectively has caught and notified me when malicious happenings occur (sometimes installing valid software that is NOT a problem too [false postitive] which I was able to override).

There was a period some many years ago where their software seemed to cause excessive CPU utilization, but that hasn't been a problem for easily over 7 years now. And there was one case where NONE of the antivirus software detected a problem on my mom's computer (TM, Norton, Kaspersky, etc) but MalwareBytes DID identify a few problems. Given that experience, I put TM up with the best of them, and possibly MalwareBytes a notch higher based on that one experience. Understanding each software may catch something another may not, this assessment based on limited experiences truly is subjective.

As others have warned, be mindful of your "auto-renew" settings if you don't want a minor hassle when your license auto-renews and you try to have it undone. Happened to me and honestly it was not a big deal to have undone.. They were pretty good about the refund. The only real negative I'd say is that you'll often find better "new license" pricing at online resellers than the price of the renewal; I'd like to see renewal pricing for loyal members *significantly* lower than it currently is.

Original review: April 4, 2020

I am not sure that this is actually giving me the protection I was hoping for. It was part of my Best Buy packing for my new laptop. It's not what I would have purchased by any means. My work was looking at my computer and he applied his antivirus "Malware", I believe, and it found a virus that Trend did not pick up. I am wanting to change but there are so many out there. I don't know what is best.

Get buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 27, 2020

Trend Micro was recommended to me by my computer go-to-person in Cincinnati and has been used by me most of the time. I had several years with Norton and McAfee, but found going with Trend Micro better for me.

Original review: March 16, 2020

I've had Trend Micro 3-4 years now, never noticed any major issues until the most recent update. This update wasn't compatible to my Mac so I had to call the company and fully install it that way. A few months afterwards, my laptop started to noticeable lag, apps wouldn't open, had trouble restarting/shutting down and my battery began to drain RAPIDLY. I almost had to purchase a whole new Macbook until a tech expert told me Trend Micro might be the issue and it was. Immediately after uninstalling, my laptop seems to be working fine.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

I tried to remove this program in order to get a free protector from my internet company only to have a pop up come up saying that I must remove some of my files in order to remove trend program and I am not willing to do that because I did not have to remove any files when adding this program. I have contacted this company and waiting for a response before taking further action.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trend Micro?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I purchased a software package in 2019 but download never worked and they never wanted to help so went on to purchase Kaspersky which has been great. However, today I was notified by my bank my account was in debit because Trend had apparently set up an auto payment. They just debit your account without notice. I contacted them and after to and fro-ing they issued a refund but would not have a bar of giving me back the $30 overdrawn fee they caused me to get. Said they sent an email which I never received, BEWARE - DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THEM. THEY KEEP YOUR CREDIT CARD DETAILS AND JUST TAKE WHAT THEY WANT WHEN THEY WANT. I have lodged a report with ACC. Jow can companies just get away with this sort of behaviour, nothing more than scammers.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I wish there was a -star..one star is way too much. They tried to scam me out of $15,000.00 when I asked for a refund. They hire rude people. Their call center isn't even in this country. It's in India. Never give them access to your computer even if they are support. They can not be trusted. If you use them you will be doing at your own risk. There are better antivirus programs out there.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I had to reset my computer three times when I had it because when I put on, it would not allow me to do anything. Some mysterious reason, it crashed my computer. Took it off after some frustration. Mine did not work with Gmail nor Firefox. Since taking it off and putting another well-known antivirus on my computer works perfectly.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

I purchased Trend Micro Web Security for PlayStation®4 (Add-On Content) 19.99. Trend Micro Kids Safety for PlayStation®4 (Add-On Content) 19.99 a year ago. I never used it nor where there any instructions on how to configure it. In the fine print I found out the hard way you automatically renew people. You then went ahead and charged me for both of those through Sony without my consent on 8/18: I disputed the charges (since I never used the software originally nor did I authorize the renewal nor did I have the knowledge of checking if there was an auto renewal setting to uncheck because there were no instructions in the original purchase.)

Sony then locked me out of using all the games on my PS4 because I refused to pay for your software that I didn't use or authorize the renewal for. This is totally unacceptable. Sony's customer service rep refused to unlock my gaming account without paying for this. I am letting the community know about your horrible practices with customers and I can assure I am not purchasing your software anymore and I am switching gaming systems due to Sony protecting you. The next system will be an X Box.

Original review: July 30, 2019

We called to ask for help on how to add a device under their protection. The man that we talked to was super rude and was talking to us like we were dumb. If you need help, good luck if he answers the phone.

Trend Micro author review by Shelley Elmblad

Trend Micro is a global security software company that was founded in Los Angeles, CA, in 1988. They develop security software for the home, business and cloud computing environments.

• Free trial: The company offers a 30-day free trial. Trend Micro is available for PC, Mac, Android, iOS and Kindle devices. There’s a 30-day money back guarantee on paid products.

• Security options: A number of different price points are available depending on which level of security is needed for one or multiple PCs priced from $34.95 to $49.95. Mac software is $29.95 per computer.

• Web monitoring: Trend Micro can monitor and control which websites are visited to prevent kids or employees from visiting certain sites.

• Ransomware protection: Ransomware encrypts files to make them inaccessible, then the computer user is charged a fee to get a key to decrypt files so they can be used again. If Trend Micro detects an attempt to encrypt files, it quickly backs up those files up then fights the encryption.

• Social network privacy: Trend Micro checks privacy settings on Facebook, Google+, Twitter and LinkedIn and lets you know if you’re open to identity theft.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Trend Micro Company Information