2.13/5
  • 1 star
Based on 56 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for an Antivirus Provider?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 5, 2017

65 Trend Micro Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Easy to use, easy to install. I've always felt like they are really keeping track of the bad stuff out there. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to set up the auto scan function.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I feel safe and have not had a problem using Trend Micro. I have used it for over 10 years. I like they help direct me away from potentially harmful sites.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I purchased a lifetime deal for this software, but it will not transfer over to the new updates. They want me to pay for the upgrade. Also, the software blocks me from downloading Microsoft Word updates as well as my HP printer. I do not mind the protection, but it has made my life a little more difficult using programs that I do need.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I've used this service for the past 3-4 years. Don't see a heck of a lot of difference between them and Norton or McAfee. They run the usual scans and inform me of their results same as the others that I mentioned and once used.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I love this software and used it for about 5 years. Just wish it didn't cost so much. But you do get what you pay for and I would not trade it for another virus protection. You can use it on multiple devices and I use it on my Samsung Galaxys8+ and my Tab.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trend Micro?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I had McAfee for a couple of years, and I turned off the auto-renewal option, because I think it's overpriced, and the corporation I work for used Trend Micro for approximately 750 employees. Trend Micro allows you to protect up to 5 devices, and I've now protected my iPhone, my last computer which was a Lenovo that crashed and required replacement, and I now have Trend Micro on my Dell. Trend Micro also emails each user a monthly report of all of the scans conducted, and anything malware, viruses, and all other issues that could jeopardize security of personal information. To date, I've received two reports, and the "heath" of both computers, Lenovo and Dell, are both safe and sound. It's actually the most effective software at the lowest price.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I find this software easy to use and very reliable. I've never contracted a virus and have always been warned of suspicious files, websites or emails. It makes me feel safe.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I'm a computer tech and I've used this software for many years. It stops all intrusion attempts into my computers and is much better than all other similar software.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

This software is fabulous and the support team can't be beat. It was the ONLY antivirus software that was able to clean a virus off my computer. At the time that I got the virus I did not have Trend Micro, however, they provided a FREE virus scan and cleaned my computer. I have been with them for about 12 years now and have not had a virus since then. They are the best!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I get their premium pack for 3-5 P.C.s (it's been so long now), PLUS I am protecting 2 Smartphones! IF I feel something has gotten through I do a quick scan with both "MalWare Bytes" as well as "Avast!" & wham-bam, thank you ma'am.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Great product, no spam emails, and it gives a monthly report. Have used it for about 4 years for all desktops and has worked efficiently and quick. Excellent, highly recommend.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I've recently had my laptop completely overhauled and so I wanted to make sure I got safe, predictable antivirus protection. I went to a officeworks store and purchased trend micro maximum security internet protection and followed the directions in the packet. I got this problem straight away saying that although it recognized my validation code, it was unable to be activated until I called the number on the screen.

I called it and it all seemed kosher until this guy said it wouldn't work and could he remotely access my pc as there were some problems with the settings and he could fix them. I thought this was possible since my computer was like new and I hadn't done anything to it yet. So he was bringing up all these complex looking system files one after the other and said that I had a serious problem, a few of them, firstly my IP address has been compromised, and that the settings showed a bunch of insecured violations from somebody who had accessed my computer and kept saying complicated jargon that totally freaked me out. My hair was standing on end!!

He said he could fix it all up, and also give me another year of trend micro free for the bargain price of $299!! Isn't that wonderfully generous! I nearly swallowed my tongue, and just said, "No I can't afford that." He then gave me $100 off so a bargain price of just $199. I said I still can't do it, he basically just hung up on me. I spent the next few days trying to find out what was wrong with my computer, my IP address and wondering what the hell I was gonna do with this internet security that I had just wasted $40 on.

I went on their site (not the one listed on the pack) and lo and behold the site looked different, the phone number was different. So I called them and they had no reference to me having ever calling and trying to activate my license, at all. I was able to activate my antivirus with no problem. I then told him about my experience and he didn't seem overly concerned at all.

I had to really emphasize the fact that I purchased this pack from a very large, well known chain and it was obviously a scam. He asked me for the link address and once I told him said that it was an old expired web address that they no longer use. He really couldn't have cared less. I emphasized again that he needed to tell the manager or something. He said okay and hung up.

I kept getting emails from Trend Micro, I'm not sure why but they were driving me crazy with them. I ignored them and finally after 2 weeks, for some reason it's asking me for the activation code again, like I never even had it, or purchased or activated. I had returned the pack to the store and they are dealing with the fake packs as well they gave me a refund, so I uninstalled it and will NEVER use it again or recommend it to anyone.

VERY suspicious, it's possible the whole company (Trend Micro) has been compromised by either disgruntled ex-employees or employees who are moonlighting for extra cash. Dangerous anti virus, seems a new way of these scumbags to get to us and our hard earned money. I work 3 frickin jobs to make my ends meet, I don't lie and cheat and pretend to be someone I'm not. I no longer trust these Asiatic call centre types. They cannot be trusted.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I have used Trend for over 6 years. I have only had to call their CS department once. It is very easy to install on your cell and laptop. We have it downloaded on 3 of our devices.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Trend micro seems to keep viruses off my laptop. It offers a choice of a quick scan which takes only a few minutes or a thorough scan which takes about an hour or more. I feel the full scan offers good protection.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I am glad that I changed to Trend Micro for my antivirus and ransomware protection. I use it on all my devices as well as my phone and have had good results. On occasion it has found that someone was trying to gain access to one of my computers and I was alerted immediately. Another reason I am pleased with Trend Micro is that I have control of the software on my computers and that application on my android devices. I would highly recommend Trend Micro for home or for a business.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I had been a long time user of Trend Micro products... on 5 PCs. Because Trend Micro's antivirus protection was slipping and because their price per seat was rising, I went with Norton Antivirus. Well, guess what's been showing up on my PC and displaying unwanted popups, Trend Micro! I had run Revo Uninstaller and tried to get rid of them. They won't go away. Question, do you want to trust your data to a company that gets into your computer and won't go away? I no longer trust or respect Trend Micro.

Original review: July 22, 2017

Well I got Trend Micro with a new computer. It worked initially, but then nothing on the Internet would load, until I took Trend Micro off of the computer. Then, when I did that, everything went back to normal. I do not recommend it, Norton is much better!

Original review: July 20, 2017

Trend Micro has been ripping us off for years. We just learned that Trend has been charging us for their Antivirus software renewals for 3 years even though we don't even own that computer anymore. It crashed 3 years ago under the watchful protection of their great software so there was no way to cancel the renewal that we unknowingly signed up for. This type of "fine print" authorization should be against the law and Trend should be ashamed of scamming people that have not even updated their software in years. They lost a customer for life and I will trash them every chance I get unless they refund our money.

Original review: July 17, 2017

When adding additional licenses on Trend Micro they will charge the full term cost, but short term end your new added licenses to the expiration date of your previous licenses. They only show the short term end date of the added licenses after payment and check out. Called customer support but they would not adjust the price to fit the short term of the added licenses. Trend Micro scams their own customers!

Original review: May 12, 2017

This software was inefficient and hard to use so I canceled it 2 years ago and replaced it with Avast, which is excellent. Trend Micro charged my bank card $80 without any notification a month ago. When I called to reverse the charge, they claimed it had exceeded a 30 period (whatever that means) and would not reverse the charge. This is FRAUD. A charge of this kind should always be accompanied by a notification email. Don't buy this product!

Original review: March 5, 2017

Badly slows down PC, for few minutes after boot, the PC is effectively useless when TM starts. And the user is NOT able to kill TM process at that stage. Then when TM stabilizes it non stop eats ~ 50% of the CPU. The only way to make the PC functional again is to EXIT the TM (luckily at this stage this is at least possible). So in summary on the fly security protection is gone (after exiting TM) which denies the purpose of buying security SW for an online protection. But I must admit that at least the SCAN run manually yielded 100% clean PC so far. I contacted TM about the amount of CPU that it steals and I have received NO REPLY - They simply do not care!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2016

Someone with a computer name ** used my name, license number, etc. to install the software. I don't know this person and have never given my information out to anyone. TM customer service was EXTREMELY unhelpful in this regard - quite rude actually! Refused to issue me another license #. Also, the software is largely useless - lets hackers through Internet Security AND slows down my computer significantly. I changed my PW several times, with no effect whatsoever. I wish I could rate it a ZERO or even minus zero.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

I'm really not a fanatic of Trend Micro solutions as it has been proven to be ineffective with the latest "crapware". They are slower than competitors to post updates. And their management interface is user-unfriendly. One of my customers was infected by the latest "Locky Crypto" .zepto which was attached as a ZIP containing a per destination Email address "custom" base64 JavaScript to download the ransomware binaries in chunks in order to bypass Firewall protections. Once running on the client station it removes the shadow copy.

In no way Trend Micro Email Gateway, End-Point, nor server protections was alerted that an end point was having a suspicious activity on server by systematically processing each directory and files the user has read and write access to. I'm even thinking that the virus execution was triggered when it was sent automatically to Trend Micro (Some files correlates with the time the encryption process has started).

Now about security software in general: They should lock out a user which is bulk modifying or deleting files until an system administrator gives clearance. This would limit ransomware impact on a few files. Secondly, because Microsoft doesn't even comprehend the concept of sand boxing. A so-called security product should add a few keys in the SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICY in order to prevent execution of executables in %(Local)?AppData%(Temp\(Rar*|7z*|wz*|*.zip)|exe in order to allow easy clearance of legitimate software which downloads extra stuff while running their setup.exe (eg Firefox, Office) or achieve the same goal in order to prevent automatic execution of (un)wanted softwares (even if because of MS lack of sand boxing it has to prompt you to update Windows). Nothing is better than offline backup (external USB disks). Will make at least your data "safe" from fire, physical robberies Or and cloud storage.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2016

Purchased premium cover for up to 6 devices. It causes Windows devices (laptops and surface pro tablet) to run at snail's pace or freeze completely. Forget about the master password protection - it expects some complicated master password to be created, that you have to use every time for it to log you in... Instead of the easily accessible, saved password that you would otherwise be using. Forget using it on your iPhone, it wants to be running in the background ALL THE TIME to do anything (such as tracking your data usage). Totally a waste of money - I had never before paid for antivirus software, having always been well catered for by AVG free. Cannot say the Trend Micro product is worth paying for, in fact, totally the opposite.

Original review: May 10, 2016

Sadly, I have been infected a twice with a virus and had to pay good money to have them removed. The most recent occurred May, 2016 and it cost me $159.99. I contacted Trend to discuss this, and, in short got nowhere. However, I did find out, after being a subscriber for 4 years that I could have contacted them for help. Who knew! I found out the hard way. I have been getting monthly reports from Trend telling me my PC is threat free. Yet I have been infected. Trend security has failed me miserably. I will not renew and most likely switch to Kaspersky's. Too much to explain here, other than NOT HAPPY with Trend's lack of customer care.

Original review: May 8, 2016

I am unable to get to my Facebook account. Thanks to Trend Micro. I understand Facebook's concern over internet security but this is ridiculous!!! I already use Malwarebytes and I have no interest in using the other company. I let them scan the system for viruses but I think I made a mistake. When I had an online chat with a representative about the situation they wanted my phone number. That's when I knew the whole thing was a scam and I refused. I am not going to give them money for something I don't want!! Now I'm not sure what to do.

Original review: March 16, 2016

The only times I had issues with this software was when I was renewing my subscription. For whatever reason the renewal either did not reload properly, or wanted to charge for another download. In each instance I communicated with the vendor and always had complete satisfaction with the fix. It was mostly annoying not trouble. After bad experiences with another brand I went with Trend Micro (was called Guard Dog back then) because of good reviews I had read. Trend Micro caught them all and always let me know what it was they stopped and provided a detailed report.

In the early days the price was less than the competition with what I considered to be much better protection. Like I have said; never did I have any kind of malware get through to my system & I used this software at least 10 years, maybe longer. The only reason I stopped is in 2011, I went with a Mac system and did not feel it was necessary any longer. I considered it to be quality software at a reasonable price. I used my Windows PC extensively for both business and personal use and never had any malware that made it into my system. I never had to professionally clean my system up of unwanted programs either. I especially liked that Trend Micro did the work I needed it to do without being very intrusive like many of the competition.

Original review: March 16, 2016

They're very helpful and knowledgeable but lack a sense of genuine concern. I would have rated them better, but recently they made changes which do not allow other anti-spyware systems on my computer. There is no single anti-spyware is going to, by itself, catch more than 70-75%. I want the flexibility of using other programs such as Malwarebytes. Because of the aforementioned problem I will not be auto-renewing this year. I have always liked Trend Micro. Their Housecalls was the ONLY thing I found back in the late 90s which identified, helped me to isolate and then dispose of the WIN95CIH virus.

Original review: March 16, 2016

Whether I forgot my password or switched the activation from one computer to another one, it can be done promptly without a single phone call. It protects but not blocks even a suspicious website. If I confirmed that wasn't, the software will remember. It's powerful with half the price that I paid for other name brand antivirus software. It caught a lot of viruses without bothering me for 2 years in a row and I am still using it. Try it yourself to believe, I prefer not to hot sell it to other.

Original review: March 14, 2016

I was careless about access to my Facebook and Trend Micro has hacked my Facebook. I cannot sign into Facebook unless I purchase a Trend Micro product. I'm getting no help from Facebook and it appears that Trend Micro has invaded my network and massively slowed down my computer.

Trend Micro expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Trend Micro is a global security software company that was founded in Los Angeles, CA, in 1988. They develop security software for the home, business and cloud computing environments.

• Free trial: The company offers a 30-day free trial. Trend Micro is available for PC, Mac, Android, iOS and Kindle devices. There’s a 30-day money back guarantee on paid products.

• Security options: A number of different price points are available depending on which level of security is needed for one or multiple PCs priced from $34.95 to $49.95. Mac software is $29.95 per computer.

• Web monitoring: Trend Micro can monitor and control which websites are visited to prevent kids or employees from visiting certain sites.

• Ransomware protection: Ransomware encrypts files to make them inaccessible, then the computer user is charged a fee to get a key to decrypt files so they can be used again. If Trend Micro detects an attempt to encrypt files, it quickly backs up those files up then fights the encryption.

• Social network privacy: Trend Micro checks privacy settings on Facebook, Google+, Twitter and LinkedIn and lets you know if you’re open to identity theft.

• Best for: Individuals, families and businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
Shelley Elmblad

Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Trend Micro Company Information