3.65/5

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Malwarebytes

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Malwarebytes Reviews

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Disaster! Pop up reminder to upgrade to latest version, 15 times a day, so I eventually clicked on INSTALL: It removed the older version, which worked fine, restarted my PC without a new version! I was left without any AV guard. I clicked support and got nowhere, even 2 days later NO answers from Malwarebytes teams, just bot replied to my emails saying they'd get back to me (when? Some good when you have an emergency!) So, I tried re-buying the package, as new, thinking I'd get a refund, as I could prove I had 2 product keys for the same PC. Well, I had to download ANOTHER version, pay around 40 Euros (I'd last paid in GBPounds £18, April 2019). Would it work? No! Downloads then won't execute after unpacking itself. SO frustrating. I will never use those cowboys again. Still waiting on that promised Email, 2 days later... and refunds overdue.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

Beware from this company. Recently I have experienced the worst experience of my life from a known antivirus company. I had installed the trial version of Malwarebytes. After 15 days it started asking me to upgrade the account. On last Friday they had Black Friday discount of flat 50%. So I went ahead and upgraded it. AFter making the payment I was expecting my product license key but it never delivered by them. Then I tried to contact their support team which is very very difficult task. They have made it purposely so we never able to catch them. They have chat support. If you click on it; it says no 1 is available. Then if you click on other then it takes you to their Forum which is of no use to me as I needed to speak with their customer service department. Then the number which was provided nobody picks up the call.

Then someone I managed to find a support email ID but not for individual but for business purpose. Hence I raised the ticket. AFter no getting response for 5 days when I dropped a mail to that same email ID with case #; they simply responded and closed the ticket without providing any solution. Now my money is gone. I am unable to catch these ** who are there only to get money and no provide license keys to customers. Hence I came to Consumer Affairs so that if you could get my money refunded and get this company closed or open a legal case against them. Here is Case# ** which I had raised against them. I don't have any other detail with me. Even if I login to My account it's not showing any transaction. I have just my bank detail that says I made the payment to this company of so and so date in the amount.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

It has been my experience, that every time I use Malwarebytes, it never finds anything threatening, yet it picks up programs I have paid for and use almost daily (such as any and all IObit pograms, of which I use (and LOVE) four: ASC, Uninstaller, Driver Booster and Smart Defrag). Earlier today, which is in fact the reason I was prompted to write this review, I wanted to download the highly-rated EaseUS MobiMover - an alternative to the awfully bloated iTunes which is normally required for iPhones, and Malwarebytes would not let me on any site in order to download it telling me it was a Trojan!

Since it gave me the option of adding the site(s) to my Malwarebytes exception list, I did so, installed it, ran it and THEN I scanned with Malwarebytes so that it could find this "Trojan" it warned me about, and of course, it picked up nothing. THAT prompted me to get to the bottom of why it kept picking up my IObit programs and whether this "Malwarebytes" was really as good as it is purported to be. Well, first, I discovered that there are a lot of lively debates about each program picking up the other as malware, and of course, you have opinions on both sites. I did find however that on the Malwarebytes side, A LOT of people were coming to the defense of Malwarebytes - BUT they all seemed to be ASSOCIATED with Malwarebytes.

Anyway, after looking up and reading some "real people" reviews on Malwarebytes, but MOST OF ALL, based on my OWN experience, I uninstalled Malwarebytes. I LOVE how IObit helps keep my systems in TIP TOP shape (although they need to work on lowering some of their prices or on maybe developing a low-priced bundle which includes all of my favorites) and for me, Malwarebytes did not prove itself enough (ever, really) for me to keep it over another program which does more, and better.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Buyer beware! Malwarebytes sets auto-renewal by default, and the first time you will hear of it is when they have already charged your card for renewal (in my case, $65). Try to get a refund, and they direct you to the third-party payment processing company (2co), who will tell you they can't refund you because they sent the money to Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes (Cleverbridge) then implied that I was too stupid to provide the correct information to 2co, and basically wished me luck.

This company will auto-charge you for renewal and then refuse to refund your money, even if you haven't used their product for more than a year. If you're inclined to do business with people like this, please make sure you figure out how to turn off auto renewal, and then turn it off! As for the product, I don't see that it ever did anything for me. The price for the product is ridiculously high. The product itself, in my opinion, is classic malware.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I've been an MBAM customer for many years. When I first purchased the product I got help several times and it was friendly, prompt, and not greed-based. I purchased a lifetime license key/ID combo that CLEARLY stated it was for use on three computers. I have no idea where I made the purchase; the only thing I remember is seeing the deal via a cNet advertisement. Years later it suddenly stopped working on two of the devices upon which I had it installed. When I contacted customer service it was like the CSR was reading off a script: "that wasn't true, you were mixed up, etc." I'm not stupid - I know what I purchased, and I made a note of that when I recorded my Key & ID.

So there was strike #1. Then in other years past I purchased three more lifetime key/IDs and installed them on devices. Over the years I made sure my Subscriptions tab in my MBAM account was accurate, and when I needed to decommission a device I removed the credentials from that device, then when I got a new device I installed and once again made sure my Subscriptions tab was correct. Just within the last approximately six weeks, the message started appearing on one of my devices that my "trial" had expired. I never had a trial installed on that device - I'd had one of my lifetime key/ids installed. I tried to re-enter my credentials and got the msg "this is blacklisted."

I went back to my online account and could not log in. I'd enter my credentials and hit Login and the cursor would endlessly spin. I tried for days on end and finally got in. The first thing I did was check on my Subscriptions tab - there were devices listed under three of my licenses that I'd never seen before. I deleted them.

Because of the problems with logging in and the Subscriptions tab, I thought the MBAM site had been hacked. I changed my password. I also submitted a ticket outlining the problems. Over a week went by, in which time I tried repeatedly to log in again and could not. When I finally got in, I again changed my password and had to delete NEW strange devices off three of my keys. I put in another ticket.

After over a week a tech emailed me and proceeded to give me the runaround. Not at all the kind of help I'd received in the past. Finally the fellow tells me bluntly that MBAM will not help me unless I give them a RECEIPT for the purchase of my licenses. I was dumbstruck. I do not hoard receipts for items from years past, and also I'm sure I bought all these via the web and I have no idea where I got them. Instead, I recorded the key & ID for each. That was the vital info!

Now I've been checking online and have found numerous posts about similar things happening to other customers. I believe that MBAM has gotten greedy and is going through their customer base and wiping out keys that were purchased as Lifetime. Their excuse for not needing to address the problem is that they won't provide customer support unless the customer can give a receipt, which they know is highly unlikely for the customer to have. MBAM isn't the company it used to be. I'm confident that as more people post what is happening to them, we will finally see other companies fill the void by providing an affordable app with HONEST customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Malwarebytes?

Original review: May 6, 2019

I never ever auto renew anything because I often find a better product in a year. They auto renewed without my permission which overdrew an obsolete credit card costing me $45.00 in overdraft fees. I called thinking it was a simple error but the coldest rudest boy pointed me to a famous slight of eye trick corporate advertisers use...

To place order you hit BUY button... It take you to billing page. You fill in card info... Scroll down to huge button saying PLACE ORDER large lock to add to distraction... Just above the button, in fine print is a line "By placing this order you agree to the Terms and Conditions and auto-renewal" in BLACK but Terms and Conditions stands out in BLUE and as we all know, there are always a box to select... NO box... NO option so of course you hit PLACE ORDER and don't notice to the right "By placing this order you agree to the Terms and Conditions and auto-renewal". He laughed said it was "right there" did not have anymore time.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Update on 04/11/2019: April 1 or 2 of 2019. I get an email notice from Malwarebytes that 39.99 was being deducted AUTOMATICALLY from my bank account? And not only that, on about February of 2018, they showed me an invoice stating that I purchased the order! I DID NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING from them!!!! When I asked them the name of the AGENT who initiated that sale, not a word back from them? (Fernando was the Rep I wrote to?)

Yes, they said that they would return the latest 39.99, but when I thought about it, why shouldn't I get the So-called Purchase price too, for I never purchased anything from them! I told him that via email, and have yet to hear the NAME I asked for, or that they would send that total of $79.98! I am not senile and I am not vulnerable because I am a senior citizen! What kind of so-called Tech outfit is that to play games with me! First of all, my daughter gave me a FREE site that would take care of most of the problems, that is if there were any? I used the FREE site before as well! I know people do their best, but like I explained to Fernando, (I think that was his name,) that someone wanted to get a few extra bucks by submitting my name and numbers? Where they got all that stuff, I do Not know, but I feel scammed and want that full $79.98 back?

Original: Somehow, I did come in contact by those people, but I did not want to buy-in to their services! I wrote to them just in case they did get the wrong idea, but all I got from them was an Automatic payment system for stuff I did not want? I wrote to them early on telling them I did not want to subscribe to their cost-inducing program! By the way, I couldn't afford another expense! I feel like suing them!

Then when I got my latest email from them telling me about the yearly 39.99 yearly fee they were deducting from my account "AUTOMATICALLY", I wrote again with no response from them? I don't want their junk, I just want my money back because of unfair advertising practices! Are they doing this to all Seniors? To those contemplating dealing with them, make sure you are not set up for Automatic billing! I never did that in the past and will never do that in the future! Not my way, especially with a meager S.S. check each month! This is the truth and the authorities have been notified, I assure you of that! Thank You... Tom.

Resolution response: July 1, 2019

My ticket was finally escalated to a senior tech (Technical Team Lead) who worked with me faithfully AND knowledgeably AND WITH a sense of real continuity for I think over a month on just about a DAILY basis until the RTP failures finally ceased. 'Finally someone who wasn't just repeating the party line, reading from a script, ignoring my feedback and issue details, passing the buck, and wasting my time! VERY refreshing. AND impressive. To THIS AGENT I'd give five stars +! That agent even agreed to keep my ticket open on an extended basis (because it was taking roughly a month between RTP failures). I'm afraid I'm sticking to my review about the first-line "support agents", however. They can be very frustrating to deal with (I got to where I could download the support tool, send up the logs, and reinstall the product in my sleep), but professionalism DOES exist at Malwarebytes and they DO strive to update and improve their product (which in the world of IT security, is the name of the game - security providers CAN'T rest on their laurels and be considered competent and they MUST deal with vulnerabilities or other issues raised by the use of popular, widely-used, sometimes uncooperative & unwilling to collaborate, third party providers, e.g., browsers). I wish it hadn't taken so long to have my repeating over-and-over-and-over-again issue finally escalated to someone who could handle it, but it did eventually happen and that person knew their business. I'll obviously continue to use their product, but dread the prospect of having to get back in line with first-line support over the next real issue should one arise...

Original review: April 2, 2019

For almost a year the product's RTP (real-time protection) has failed on something like a monthly basis. Win7 HP x 64. Actually, when this happens the application and its features can no longer be accessed, necessitating a restart in order to temporarily be able to access it and so in a sense the product itself fails as well as the RTP. I've contacted Tech Support every time, and they've been unable to resolve the issue. They close tickets after a few weeks, and so I keep getting new trouble ticket numbers, and new tech support agents, who tend to repeat the same instructions I've heard before (send logs/update/reinstall, after which the product usually functions again for about a month). I really would not recommend anyone spend money on this product unless they can improve the quality of it and their tech support. It's security software, and so IMO should be more reliable and, well... SECURE!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I don't suggest you use a credit card or ATM card with these people. I have had issues with them charging my card for over 5 years and it's very difficult to get a refund. They just don't stop "auto renewing" not matter who you call or what you do on their website. BEWARE!! And if someone gets your credit card number and uses it for their software you're screwed because they need an email address to even look up the purchase not the CC#!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I have been using Malwarebytes' Premium product for over three years. I use it with another Virus Software product. Malwarebytes does as advertised, it identifies Malware, other products do not. I would highly recommend both the premium and free product. Customer Service is quick to respond.

Malwarebytes expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Malwarebytes.org - Malwarebytes started in 2004, and since then it has detected and removed over 5 billion pieces of malware while running alongside antivirus software. Today, more than 200 team members across the globe contribute to keeping Malwarebytes effective and up to date.

• Multiple platforms: Malwarebytes runs on PC, Mac, Android and iOS devices to find worms, spyware, rootkits and more. You will need to install antivirus software separately; Malwarebytes detects and removes deep malicious code that is often not found by antivirus solutions.

• Free: The free version of Malwarebytes is very capable at finding and removing malware, but does not run constantly in the background for real time protection. Upgrade to the paid PC premium version for $24.95 for more scanning options and always-on screening. Malwarebytes only offers a free version for Mac right now.

• Business versions: Malwarebytes offers four business options with annual subscriptions for $29.95 per seat up to $49.95 per seat. Businesses with over 100 seats can contact sales to discuss pricing.

• Chameleon technology: If your computer is infected, you won’t need a separate bootable disk to repair it. Malwarebytes’ Chameleon driver stops malware from terminating or modifying processes so you can remove malware immediately without restarting your computer.

• Antivirus compatibility: Malwarebytes will run without a conflict on computers that have installed any of the antivirus software listed in this guide and many others.

• Best for: Individuals, business, families and people handling highly sensitive information.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
      Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Malwarebytes Company Information