Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.34/5

Malwarebytes Reviews

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

After purchasing the software, you may find later that the company will cancel your registration key as they did with me. When you contact them, they will now require you to prove that you bought it. Any tech company that is 20 years behind in "tech" isn't something you want on your system!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

I am a long-time user of Malwarebytes, first the free version and then the paid version. It worked fine for quite a while, but the latest version, Malwarebytes 4, is emulating malware itself. As has been mentioned in some other reviews, it quickly freezes my computer to the point of it being inoperable. First everything slows down to a stop and then all of my wallpaper icons disappear. I reset my computer three times before finally tracking down the problem to Malwarebytes.

Once I uninstalled Malwarebytes the problem was gone. But I had to reboot in safe mode to uninstall it since everything was frozen. I reinstalled Malwarebytes again just to be sure and yes, it froze my computer again. The uninstall software that I am using indicates that Malwarebytes is flooding my computer with an avalanche of files. If some people are able to successfully use the latest version of Malwarebytes without any problems, I wish I knew what the difference is between their computers and mine. After trying to research this problem online, I am still stumped. Unless I can find an answer, I will be forced to say goodbye to Malwarebytes for good. The only reason I am giving this review two stars instead of one is because of the good performance of Malwarebytes for so many years until recently.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I was advised by reputable computer expert that this software is the best for malware and so I tried vainly to make contact. Unfortunately could not manage maltreatment: making contact a huge headache. Couldn’t get a chat to happen online, called and couldn’t get a human on phone. Called again and waited, got promise to get return call. Got return call from robot that suggested I go online. That said everything to me. How are you the best yet offer no assistance in basic sales exchange? How is this the new normal? It’s not that expensive to have phone coverage. It’s not a great stretch to offer traditional customer service.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

This software was removed from my PC by the repair department of Best Buy last Summer. I have emailed their billing department in November and December to not renew my subscription in January. In January they billed me again. It is like throwing away a boomerang. Deal with them once, pay forever!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

Unfortunately I was unaware that the shady company Malwarebytes uses an auto-renewal "feature" for its products. Well, that feature happened last night and made a charge to my credit card, and now I can't even afford to get my prescription for pain medicine that I need every day until my hand surgery next month. Thanks Malwarebytes!!!! I have never had a cybercriminal use my card, only the cybercriminals known as Malwarebytes. It is very sad how they lure you into a false sense of security, only to rob you blind in the end. 0 stars. Avoid this garbage. It is a horrible product from a terrible company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Malwarebytes?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Once installed, Malwarebytes is nearly impossible to uninstall. I completely DISTRUST any company or product that takes my choice away. It took several tries to remove this garbage program from my PC. So unless you want the software forever, along with its constant and annoying ads for upgrading, avoid it like the plague.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Definition of malware: "noun. Software that is specifically designed to disrupt, damage, or gain unauthorized access to a computer system." I installed Malwarebytes on the recommendation of Apple Support. I've already let them know my opinion of their recommendation. First off, Malwarebytes does not support scanning external hard drives on Macs. Their convoluted excuse is that Time Machine should not be scanned. But I don't use my external HD for time machine. Another part of their excuse was that it was virtually impossible for an antivirus or malware to get installed on an external HD. Needless to say, I found numerous articles that contradict this claim. All I wanted was for my external HD to be scanned. So seeing as this was not possible, I proceeded to uninstall malwarebytes from my Macbook Pro. I used the malwarebytes uninstall feature.

After that I checked the HD for any malwarebytes files because I have no faith in most tech vendors. As I expected there was a file left in the StagedExtensions folder that could not be removed because it was required by Mac OS. I found it remarkable that my Mac OS could suddenly not function in a stable manner without a file that was only installed on it yesterday after having functioned just fine for over a year without it. I called Apple Support and their only solution offered was to do a restore OR completely reinstall my Mac OS. So, my sum experience with Malwarebytes is that it claimed it could not do basic scanning functionality of an external HD for what I view as highly dubious reasons and when I decided to remove it because of this lack of functionality, it could not be completely removed. If I could give a lower rating I would but I cannot.

Resolution response: Jan. 21, 2020

I recently left a 1-star review describing a renewal feature that in my opinion leads you to renew twice, and how I was refused a refund. A second representative with a completely different tone responded later, stating that I would be refunded. He then asked if I was satisfied with the resolution, and if he could close the ticket. Very different from the first rep. In any case, I was in fact refunded. Time is money. Mood affects performance. While my situation was resolved, it wasn't without significant costs in these areas.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I accidentally renewed my subscription twice, for which I was charged $40 twice. The response to my ticket asking for a refund for one of these was that I now have two years, no refund, and they closed the ticket without a response from me. I replied saying that I prefer to purchase renewals one year at a time, no response. I opened a new ticket, no response. How was I even able to renew twice??? I don't do that with other renewals. These guys have really shady financial practices.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

This program is downloaded to ball my devices at one price. It stopped AMAZON TECH SUPPORT from intrusion an number of times. It stopped wanted twice on my tablet, it tells you if a new app is safe or not, couple this with CC cleaner & you're in great shape. Once I sign out on my laptop or another device it Cleans an sites from the history for what sites or searches you were on. They offer 3rd level security & Re working on finger print scan. I think this is FAR AND AWAY BETTER THAN Norton & Life lock, they are both too expensive and bogus.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I first purchased a Malwarebytes product back in 2014. It was described as MBAM, malwarebytes anti malware. It worked well on my desktop but it was a disaster on my Lenovo laptop. It caused the laptop to become unresponsive and unusable. Tech support were unable to solve the problem and so I switched to their other product, MBAE, malwarbytes anti exploit, which worked fine on my laptop, and so I have used that all these years (until Dec 2019) even though it was probably obsolete and no longer supported. I continued to use their anti-malware on my desktop.

In Dec 2019 I decided to try their new product called Malwarebytes premium. I thought any issue it may have had with my laptop would have been found and solved. So I bought a license for 2 devices. Ya, you guessed it... It made my laptop unusable, freezing, taking 10 - 15 minutes to respond to clicking an icon, error messages that windows has stopped responding...

Support asked me to do a clean install using their support tool, which I did. I was unable to use my laptop since installing this and had to go into Windows safe mode to uninstall it. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it 3 or 4 times, sending logs to support so they could try to help. Nothing. After more than a week they asked me to send another set of logs for them to analyze because the previous logs showed no reason for the problem.

The day before I decided to try Bit Defender. It is free to try for 30 days. I uninstalled the malware stuff and put in bit defender. The laptop is happy. I replied to their email that I have uninstalled their software because it does not work on my system. They sent another email saying that unless I have comments or questions they would consider the matter solved. SOLVED???? Not even close! But yeah, I can find another device to use the malware license I paid for on, but when the subscription expires, I will be using bit defender. Malwarebytes puts out a good product, but I have heard of issues like mine, it does not work for everybody. Tech support should be faster and more efficient instead of leaving users waiting days for answers that never come.

Not sure about Malwarebytes?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Antivirus Software for you.

Malwarebytes expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Malwarebytes.org - Malwarebytes started in 2004, and since then it has detected and removed over 5 billion pieces of malware while running alongside antivirus software. Today, more than 200 team members across the globe contribute to keeping Malwarebytes effective and up to date.

• Multiple platforms: Malwarebytes runs on PC, Mac, Android and iOS devices to find worms, spyware, rootkits and more. You will need to install antivirus software separately; Malwarebytes detects and removes deep malicious code that is often not found by antivirus solutions.

• Free: The free version of Malwarebytes is very capable at finding and removing malware, but does not run constantly in the background for real time protection. Upgrade to the paid PC premium version for $24.95 for more scanning options and always-on screening. Malwarebytes only offers a free version for Mac right now.

• Business versions: Malwarebytes offers four business options with annual subscriptions for $29.95 per seat up to $49.95 per seat. Businesses with over 100 seats can contact sales to discuss pricing.

• Chameleon technology: If your computer is infected, you won’t need a separate bootable disk to repair it. Malwarebytes’ Chameleon driver stops malware from terminating or modifying processes so you can remove malware immediately without restarting your computer.

• Antivirus compatibility: Malwarebytes will run without a conflict on computers that have installed any of the antivirus software listed in this guide and many others.

• Best for: Individuals, business, families and people handling highly sensitive information.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Malwarebytes Company Information