3.93/5

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Malwarebytes

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

44 Malwarebytes Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 6, 2019

I never ever auto renew anything because I often find a better product in a year. They auto renewed without my permission which overdrew an obsolete credit card costing me $45.00 in overdraft fees. I called thinking it was a simple error but the coldest rudest boy pointed me to a famous slight of eye trick corporate advertisers use...

To place order you hit BUY button... It take you to billing page. You fill in card info... Scroll down to huge button saying PLACE ORDER large lock to add to distraction... Just above the button, in fine print is a line "By placing this order you agree to the Terms and Conditions and auto-renewal" in BLACK but Terms and Conditions stands out in BLUE and as we all know, there are always a box to select... NO box... NO option so of course you hit PLACE ORDER and don't notice to the right "By placing this order you agree to the Terms and Conditions and auto-renewal". He laughed said it was "right there" did not have anymore time.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Update on 04/11/2019: April 1 or 2 of 2019. I get an email notice from Malwarebytes that 39.99 was being deducted AUTOMATICALLY from my bank account? And not only that, on about February of 2018, they showed me an invoice stating that I purchased the order! I DID NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING from them!!!! When I asked them the name of the AGENT who initiated that sale, not a word back from them? (Fernando was the Rep I wrote to?)

Yes, they said that they would return the latest 39.99, but when I thought about it, why shouldn't I get the So-called Purchase price too, for I never purchased anything from them! I told him that via email, and have yet to hear the NAME I asked for, or that they would send that total of $79.98! I am not senile and I am not vulnerable because I am a senior citizen! What kind of so-called Tech outfit is that to play games with me! First of all, my daughter gave me a FREE site that would take care of most of the problems, that is if there were any? I used the FREE site before as well! I know people do their best, but like I explained to Fernando, (I think that was his name,) that someone wanted to get a few extra bucks by submitting my name and numbers? Where they got all that stuff, I do Not know, but I feel scammed and want that full $79.98 back?

Original: Somehow, I did come in contact by those people, but I did not want to buy-in to their services! I wrote to them just in case they did get the wrong idea, but all I got from them was an Automatic payment system for stuff I did not want? I wrote to them early on telling them I did not want to subscribe to their cost-inducing program! By the way, I couldn't afford another expense! I feel like suing them!

Then when I got my latest email from them telling me about the yearly 39.99 yearly fee they were deducting from my account "AUTOMATICALLY", I wrote again with no response from them? I don't want their junk, I just want my money back because of unfair advertising practices! Are they doing this to all Seniors? To those contemplating dealing with them, make sure you are not set up for Automatic billing! I never did that in the past and will never do that in the future! Not my way, especially with a meager S.S. check each month! This is the truth and the authorities have been notified, I assure you of that! Thank You... Tom.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: July 1, 2019

My ticket was finally escalated to a senior tech (Technical Team Lead) who worked with me faithfully AND knowledgeably AND WITH a sense of real continuity for I think over a month on just about a DAILY basis until the RTP failures finally ceased. 'Finally someone who wasn't just repeating the party line, reading from a script, ignoring my feedback and issue details, passing the buck, and wasting my time! VERY refreshing. AND impressive. To THIS AGENT I'd give five stars +! That agent even agreed to keep my ticket open on an extended basis (because it was taking roughly a month between RTP failures). I'm afraid I'm sticking to my review about the first-line "support agents", however. They can be very frustrating to deal with (I got to where I could download the support tool, send up the logs, and reinstall the product in my sleep), but professionalism DOES exist at Malwarebytes and they DO strive to update and improve their product (which in the world of IT security, is the name of the game - security providers CAN'T rest on their laurels and be considered competent and they MUST deal with vulnerabilities or other issues raised by the use of popular, widely-used, sometimes uncooperative & unwilling to collaborate, third party providers, e.g., browsers). I wish it hadn't taken so long to have my repeating over-and-over-and-over-again issue finally escalated to someone who could handle it, but it did eventually happen and that person knew their business. I'll obviously continue to use their product, but dread the prospect of having to get back in line with first-line support over the next real issue should one arise...

Original review: April 2, 2019

For almost a year the product's RTP (real-time protection) has failed on something like a monthly basis. Win7 HP x 64. Actually, when this happens the application and its features can no longer be accessed, necessitating a restart in order to temporarily be able to access it and so in a sense the product itself fails as well as the RTP. I've contacted Tech Support every time, and they've been unable to resolve the issue. They close tickets after a few weeks, and so I keep getting new trouble ticket numbers, and new tech support agents, who tend to repeat the same instructions I've heard before (send logs/update/reinstall, after which the product usually functions again for about a month). I really would not recommend anyone spend money on this product unless they can improve the quality of it and their tech support. It's security software, and so IMO should be more reliable and, well... SECURE!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I don't suggest you use a credit card or ATM card with these people. I have had issues with them charging my card for over 5 years and it's very difficult to get a refund. They just don't stop "auto renewing" not matter who you call or what you do on their website. BEWARE!! And if someone gets your credit card number and uses it for their software you're screwed because they need an email address to even look up the purchase not the CC#!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I have been using Malwarebytes' Premium product for over three years. I use it with another Virus Software product. Malwarebytes does as advertised, it identifies Malware, other products do not. I would highly recommend both the premium and free product. Customer Service is quick to respond.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Malwarebytes?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

This ignorant company keeps having their ads pop up on my screen all the time intimidating me to purchase their service. I have to hit two ads they have in order to delete it. Every time I open or close the computer their ad pops up in middle of screen. Very ignorant & inconsiderate. Will never use their services especially with complaints I read about them. They bully people into buying their service by keep popping up on the screen. Terrible.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I want to warn customers whom it may concern about selecting the ~ Nov. 2018 "UPDATE" for their FREE version of Malwarebytes Anti-Virus software. Be prepared for the company to deceptively wrest control away from your PC's Windows Defender (main firewall) and to reset all your previous settings per manual and periodic use of Malwarebytes.

I have used this free software for several years and want nothing more to do with this company... EVER. The insidious deception involves leading diligent PC customers to intuitively believe they need an update. After all, what could be more important online these days than to be running the latest, most secure updates of malware & virus protection?

WRONG! Malwarebytes wasted over an hour of my time (not including this communication to warn others) investigating why my trusted Windows Defender shield icon with reassuring green checkmark had disappeared from my Win10 Taskbar, then having to do troubleshooting web searches, then REMOVING Malwarebytes from Programs and Features FOREVER, then having to restore my settings, all the while having to restart my laptop a couple times, not knowing why there had been a red check mark in my Defender shield icon (when it finally did reappear!). NEVER AGAIN! Windows Defender is all I need. Buh-bye Malwarebytes trash... And good riddance!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Last year I paid $40 USD to subscribe and when the time came around, it was very difficult to find anywhere to log in. I wound up having to Google "Malwarebytes Login" after the subscription renewed, and then figure out how to use their partner site to request a refund which has sat on "Pending" since Friday. Once you purchase a license, you should also immediately learn how to login to their awful website. This model screws over their customers.

Original review: July 25, 2018

When you call for help, you cannot get anyone in the US. I am usually good with accents but had a tough time trying to understand even after several calls. They refuse to transfer me to the States, they tried to transfer me to someone who had less of an accent. I have paid for Malwarebytes for several years and tried to run it on a computer I had not used in a few months. It said I had to pay for a Premium Trial. I ran it on another computer at the same time just fine. The help center said they needed to have remote access to my computer to help me! They didn't look up my account to see that I have paid or anything. They are independent tech support - not Malwarebytes - I am not letting someone from I can barely understand take control of my computer!!! They never did help me.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Malwarebytes would be a GREAT antivirus program if only it (the free version) had some type of customer support. Also, though MB does a great job of protection, it does seem vulnerable to exploits.

Malwarebytes expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Malwarebytes.org - Malwarebytes started in 2004, and since then it has detected and removed over 5 billion pieces of malware while running alongside antivirus software. Today, more than 200 team members across the globe contribute to keeping Malwarebytes effective and up to date.

• Multiple platforms: Malwarebytes runs on PC, Mac, Android and iOS devices to find worms, spyware, rootkits and more. You will need to install antivirus software separately; Malwarebytes detects and removes deep malicious code that is often not found by antivirus solutions.

• Free: The free version of Malwarebytes is very capable at finding and removing malware, but does not run constantly in the background for real time protection. Upgrade to the paid PC premium version for $24.95 for more scanning options and always-on screening. Malwarebytes only offers a free version for Mac right now.

• Business versions: Malwarebytes offers four business options with annual subscriptions for $29.95 per seat up to $49.95 per seat. Businesses with over 100 seats can contact sales to discuss pricing.

• Chameleon technology: If your computer is infected, you won’t need a separate bootable disk to repair it. Malwarebytes’ Chameleon driver stops malware from terminating or modifying processes so you can remove malware immediately without restarting your computer.

• Antivirus compatibility: Malwarebytes will run without a conflict on computers that have installed any of the antivirus software listed in this guide and many others.

• Best for: Individuals, business, families and people handling highly sensitive information.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
      Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Malwarebytes Company Information