2.94/5

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Kaspersky Anti-Virus

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Kaspersky Anti-Virus Reviews

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

My Kaspersky software was up for renewal. I received a pop-up message that it was about to expire. I went to the application and there was no 'RENEW' button as stated there would me in the tutorial. I called and got tech support and he informed that I would need to call their customer service at (877) 232-4588. I had my email address, License number and all other information. The customer service representative (CSR) informed that without an order number I would need to go back to where I bought my PC and have them help me. I have had my PC for 3 years and had no issues before this with Kapersky but apparently they do not care about existing customers. Two hours of time wasted and they have no regard for existing customers. Stay away from this product!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

Unfortunately, zero stars is not an option. My license for Kaspersky is about to expire. I had to go and buy a new version of Kaspersky "Total Security" at Officeworks because Kaspersky's on-line renewal is twice the price of the retail (not discounted) version. Think about the ethics of that as a starting point!! I had trouble downloading the new version of Kaspersky Total Security. No verification email was sent to my valid email address despite several attempts. I tried trawling through the on-line help, but nothing was available. Eventually I rang the help line.

Why does Kaspersky only offer help if you are prepared to allow them to take control of your computer remotely? (They rudely hang-up when you politely decline.) This is the first rule of secure computing - don't install programs that allow remote access! Harvey Norman in Australia won't sell Kaspersky. I am beginning to understand why! I am going to try to get my money back from Officeworks tomorrow. I'll bet I have trouble doing that as well. Oh well, another $96 down the gurgler.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

Very disappointed in this product. Just to be clear, in the past, a few years before I purchased the 2018 edition I have had no issues with Kaspersky. It seems that this new practice or model is just not up to standard. Pros: Some sense of security. Cons: Slows the PC dramatically. Caused internet issues. Caused issues when connecting devices through USB ports. A big hassle when trying to cancel subscription. (In my opinion made deliberately difficult so as to dissuade consumers from finding a way to cancel their renewal payment.) Does installed other programs which slows the PC even more. Products are installed all over the place, making uninstalling a real hassle. Pretty expensive for something that does not work as efficiently as your standard Windows defender and firewall.

This product is not very good at all. The cons listed are from my own personal and frustrating experience. Also note, when I contacted Kaspersky staff to help with an issue (the issue being that my iPhone could not be connected to my PC to it up) staff told me it was my fault. Even though a day before the iPhone connected with no issues as i did not have Kaspersky installed the day prior. I went ahead and uninstalled the Product and restarted the PC and had no issues connecting my iPhone to the PC.

Biggest issue is when trying to configure your Kaspersky to suit your needs, only to see that the settings or options are different to the ones presented on their help website and on tutorial videos. With some options missing altogether. Very frustrating. I cannot comment too much on other functions as i had not used it extensively, uninstalling it the day after it was installed and issues began cropping up. I haven't used any programs since and i have had no issues with viruses. If you visit safe sites and don't download from unsecure sources then there should be no need for any additional anti virus software. If you take care of your PC, running tests, doing backups and visiting secure sites, you should be in the clear. But do not take my advise on that, Seek professional advice about PC security. In the end its, your hard earned money, and you have the right to fair consumer opinion. So as to make the right decision.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

Last year my experience with Kaspersky Total Security was very positive. It didn't slow down my computer, ran quietly in the background, and did what it was supposed to do. I liked the interface, and the customer service was very good. I recommended it to all my friends, and I also renewed. Well, this time around (2019) it has been a horrible experience. It screwed up my computer so completely that I thought my laptop was dying. It froze constantly. Whenever I tried to do something I'd get that spinning wheel cursor (I use a Mac) and I'd wait, sometimes 5 minutes, for it to stop. Then I'd do the next click and it'd do the same thing. I practically had time for a shower just waiting for pages to load.

I had to force close programs, and force shut-down constantly. When I turned it back on I never knew if it was going to start, or how many times I'd have to try and restart before it took. It was really a nightmare. I reset PRAM/NVRAM, I reinstalled the OS, I ran hardware tests, ran disk utility. I booted in Safe Mode. Any possible solution that I found on the internet, I tried. Then I thought, 'well, let me try replacing the hard drive.' So I did that. Same problem. At that point I figured something was terribly wrong with my laptop and was about the take it to the computer guy.

Then I remembered when I was doing my research about the best antivirus programs a year ago, that some people wrote that some antivirus programs can actually wreak havoc on your computer. Hmmm... one last attempt before I spend what is likely to be a lot of money... I uninstalled Kaspersky and voila! My laptop is just fine. Back to its normal, unprotected self, and I am back to researching anti-virus programs. I took it off my Android, too. There are still 217 days remaining that I paid for, but oh well. Just so you know, I don't usually do reviews, but this has been such a horrible experience. Maybe it will work for you, maybe it won't. Enter at your own risk.

Original review: July 14, 2019

I have been customer since 2013 and it worked fine. This year nothing really worked properly. According to the recent reviews many other customers had problems starting in 2018. So I decided to go with a different company. The problem is I can't get to the website to undo the auto-renewal!! It directs here and there but nothing works which I concluded after 3 hours of trying. My only hope is that they have my old and deleted card and will not be able to get to the money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaspersky Anti-Virus?

Original review: June 30, 2019

I am a cryptographer for a major Canadian bank. The installation on my home computer was slow and then I could not update the virus database nor run any scans. Kaspersky simply did not run after multiple installs and fixes. I had used McAfee for years and it was a resource hog but at least it worked. Terrible experience and support. Find something else!!!!

Original review: May 15, 2019

Have you all read on reputable sites that Kaspersky has hacked U.S. intelligence community computers? They have a real problem with the fact that they have strong ties to Russia. So, I am skeptical of them to begin with. So, I had system resource problems and began uninstalling programs. When I uninstalled Kaspersky Free Antivirus, not only did it leave most, or maybe all, of the folders and files in my program files but I could not delete them. I tried LockHunter but it couldn't unlock them or delete them even when it said it would delete them on restart. I finally went into safe mode to delete them. Thank God I know how to do that but I'm wondering if they can use the files left on computers to track users' information. I would not put that past them. I had the same thing happen with Avast. Do they have any Russian ties?

Original review: March 23, 2019

Card processing just doesn't work, PayPal/Digital River payment doesn't work, no order confirmation for 2 days, no response from support, unable to renew license during one week. People, stop using them... I must say it after 15 years of being their customer...

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

For three years, we have been trying to cancel the auto withdrawals from our credit card. The customer service reps keep saying they will stop the auto withdrawals (we have not used it for nearly five years) and refund the credit card. They repeatedly say that the refund will show up within three months (why so long?). Instead of issuing any refunds they have charged the credit card six more times!!! We had to cancel the credit card to make them stop. The US government has taken it off all their systems due to suspected spying. If I could give it zero stars, I would. The owner is a friend of Putin. I will never recommend them even if the software works. No wonder they are interfering in our democracy. They are crooks.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I have been Kaspersky customer for many years but usually used 1-year subscription for my PC. Last time, in November 2017, I have renewed Kaspersky Internet security but have chosen 2 years package. First year of usage suddenly I have started experienced some troubles with Windows starting up - my laptop often required restart just to make Windows running. I never thought that it has some connection with antivirus that I have bought however my Windows software is original and purchased from authorised distributor. But second year of Kaspersky subscription started from very unpleasant things.

First, in My Kaspersky profile it was shown that I have no subscription at all and secondly my laptop has been shutting down and/or restarting every time when Kaspersky was trying to run database update or to scan my PC. I checked setting but haven't find anything abnormal. So, I complained to the CC of Kaspersky and asked to fix this issue. Now, more than one month I waste my time by writing/replying to the company. I have spent time to retrieving some system reports and providing them with extra info. Nothing has been repaired yet.

My laptop still gets blue/black with stripes screen and gets shut every time when it tries to update or run Kaspersky. I have paid money but my PC stays unprotected and getting faulty. And nobody does anything to fix it. I requested their company to return me amount paid for second year of subscription so I can purchase another antivirus software but they just ignore my request. I don't know if anybody else faces such problems or it is just me being so unlucky. Whatever, but I surely will never go for Kaspersky antivirus anymore.

Kaspersky Anti-Virus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Kaspersky Anti-Virus was developed in 2006 by Kaspersky Lab, an international security company that operates worldwide with 300 million users. Kaspersky Lab is based in the U.K. with U.S. headquarters in Massachusetts.

• Free trial: Kaspersky offers free trial downloads for Windows PC, Mac and Android, and business antivirus with applications for servers as well as desktop computers. There is no version for iOS devices.

• Many price points: Antivirus software options range from $19.99 to $99.99, often with deep discounts. The highest option, Total Security, protects up to five computers and mobile devices of your choice. There is a 30-day money back guarantee.

• Home and business options: There are three levels of antivirus software for home use offering basic to ultimate protection. Business solutions are defined by business size with three levels from small business to enterprise environments.

• Virus & Spyware Removal: If your computer is not running optimally or you suspect there’s malware before you install the antivirus software, Kaspersky can remotely connect to your computer to find problems, and remove malware hiding deep in your system. The service costs $99.99.

• Virtual keyboard: This technology lets the user enter passwords and other data using mouse clicks instead of a keyboard so keyloggers can’t capture this information.

• Best for: Individuals, families, people handling highly sensitive information and businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
      Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Kaspersky Anti-Virus Company Information