1.67/5
Based on 33 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Kaspersky Anti-Virus

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 13, 2017

35 Kaspersky Anti-Virus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I purchased Kaspersky over a year ago. My subscription expires on Feb. 18, 2018. A few days ago my Kaspersky security stopped working. I called the 800 number, and was in touch with Kaspersky tech's in the Philippines. They were no help. Eventually they told me I needed to be transferred to a higher department and pay for the help. I did not do this since I still had an active subscription. I eventually attempted to uninstall Kaspersky, and I can't. There are files on my computer that are from Kaspersky I can't uninstall. I get a message saying "application upgrade in process. Removing the application is not allowed now". This is the conclusion of the whole matter: WARNING DO NOT BUY KASPERSKY PRODUCTS!!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I was trying to get a refund and wow was this a challenge. First, the site did not work for 3 hours to process the refund. I called customer service and they confirmed it. Then 5 hours later, time measured from my first call, I logged in to my Kaspersky account to learn, if the site was working and only to discover that one can change the auto-renewal, but there is no clear and simple path on how to get your funds back or refund. After talking to the customer service again, I was finally able to get a confirmation number to get my money back and promised it within 10 to 15 days. Why not within 24 hours? So, I will monitor on how long it will actually take. I am posting this because I wasted 5 hours to get a refund, a process that should take a few minutes online and done with it. So, beware when signing up. Kaspersky takes your money quickly but not the other way around.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I have been in IT since 2000. I have used many different types of anti-virus and malware and security software over the years. Kaspersky by far is hands down the best out there. Real time updates. They are instantly on top of any new threats that come out and put out updates to prevent you from getting hit by the new threats. I recommend the Total Security. It gives you antivirus protection, malware protection, firewall protection, webcam blocker (to outside sources. Cough Government). It can check your email for bad/virus attachments, it can block ads/banners (which will help older pc's load webpages faster), a virtual keyboard so no keystroke virus recorders can detect your keystrokes/passwords/etc...

I have been using Kaspersky for about 10 years. I put it on every pc that I work on, or recommend it to any user I have to fix their pc where they only had some "free" anti-virus software but yet they still had many viruses on their pc. Let's face it, you get what you pay for. AVG, McAfee are crap! Norton tries to take over your whole pc and is very annoying. There are a few others that are ok, but none as good as Kaspersky.

There are some people on here saying that it messed up their pc. I'd be willing to bet that these people don't know the difference between and exe file and dll file. Their pc is probably an old POS anyway. Invite your geeky/nerdy/techy friend over and get them to set it up for you. Buy them some beer, or flirt with them. They'll take care of you and your POS pc.

And about the call service being in India, HELLO McFly, they aren't the only ones. (Why do you think Trump wants big companies to bring their business back to the US and give big business Tax cuts? If you keep charging ridiculous taxes, any company will go overseas to do their business!) Now people are giving Kaspersky a hard time because they "might" be in cahoots with the Russian Government. These people must be Democrat leftists.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

Kaspersky is an internet security company. They have ignored multiple attempts to unsubscribe to them, and continue to charge me. I have tried multiple ways to unsubscribe, and none of them work. Sometimes after following multiple steps of their complicated unsubscribe directions the website will quit working, but if I were to resubscribe from the same webpage it still works... Pretty convenient. I am in the process of reporting them to more places.

Original review: July 28, 2017

I have been trying to get an issue resolved with my Kaspersky software for five days now. I have attached a picture of the error I am getting and they send me an e-mail stating that the ticket number(s) I am giving them have been closed and say nothing about the attachment I am sending them. They have the ABSOLUTE WORST customer service I have ever dealt with. They are constantly passing the buck to a different department who, in turn, does the same thing. I have decided to cancel my subscription with Kaspersky and let everyone know how horrible they are if you have an issue. I will post how they dealt with me regarding getting my refund. There are a lot of anti-virus software companies out there - choose anyone but Kaspersky.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaspersky Anti-Virus?

Original review: July 28, 2017

They advertise the free Kaspersky Antivirus but the download link does not work. I have tried from 4 different computers, two internet providers, and two browsers. Contacted support via the chat, extremely unhelpful and terminated the session without resolving any issue or acknowledging the problem.

Original review: July 27, 2017

Kaspersky ruined my computer for months after I used it. I trusted it because BestBuy gave it to me with a new computer. It was a Mac so I didn't try it on the Mac, but I installed it on my PC. I have been bombarded with errors and it got so slow I could hardly use it. It kept losing my connection to the internet often and it rebooted often and many other things. I decided it couldn't get any worse, so I uninstalled it and purchased PC-MATIC. Everything started working again and I doubt they will refund anything, but I'll try anyway. Also, when I called for help, the man was very rude and made me feel like a dummy. For the record, I am retired now, but I was a Programmer/Analyst for over 25 years, so I don't think I am as dumb as they treated me.

Original review: July 26, 2017

BEWARE of "KASPERSKY LABs" SCAM!!! Couple months ago. I got a promotional e-mail from www.softkey.ru Company, which is one of Kaspersky Laboratories agents, offering me to extend my license for Kaspersky Total Security products. I accepted their offer and paid for the product. So-called activation keys were delivered to me. When I tried to activate a new license I was getting an error message. Called Kaspersky Labs customer service. Informed them about my problem. They advised me to fill out an application for a refund, which I did. After playing red-tape with me for a few weeks they denied my refund, giving me a bogus reason, that the activation keys were delivered to me, which is according to them is a final point and proof of product delivery.

So, turns out they are not in business of selling software products!!! They are in business of selling useless combination of numbers!!! BEWARE of their SCAM!!!

Also, based on my past experience with Kaspersky Antivirus I have to point out that it is slowing computers down very significantly. Sometimes, bringing them to a complete stand-still. Since my license extension fiasco with Kaspersky I switched to ESET NOD32 product and enjoying great increase in my computers performance. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY with KASPERSKY Labs Products!!!

Original review: July 16, 2017

I have been using Total Security for a number of years now. I use it on 2 desktop computers,and 3 cell phones. I have used it on one desktop computer that had a virus on it and I could only fix it using the Kaspersky Total Security Rescue disc. It immediately located a Trojan horse virus and quarantined it for later deletion... Voila, the computer was up and running again and no problems since that time. The frequent virus definition updates are right on & provide the "zero day" protection. That is, as soon as new viruses come online Kaspersky does a tremendous of finding them & issuing an update. I have scheduled Full Scans, Quick Scans, Vulnerability Scans & several other scans. If one reads all the instructions & information about how to use Kaspersky you should have no problems. I am concerned that other users have had numerous problems. I highly suspect that these users have not read the instructions carefully.

You MUST follow all the directions carefully. I use the Safe Money portion and also the password manager. Both function superbly for me on all devices. It is absolutely an excellent password generator & it is easy to manage. It has been several years since I first purchased Kaspersky Total Security but I renewed for 3 years in 2016. Recently there have been several media articles about Kaspersky being run by a Moscow Russia entity. There has been much mistrust about Kaspersky and that they may be involved with the Russian Government. My personal opinion is that even though Kaspersky is owned by a Russian, he can not afford to cause problems by interacting with the government to spy on the users of his software.

So far it is only speculation. If it can be proven that he is in cahoots with the government beyond any reasonable doubt then I will uninstall my version of Kaspersky and remove any residue from all my devices and find another Firewall/Anti-virus company. Until that time I will continue to use Kaspersky as I have found no better software that does what Kaspersky Total Security does. It provides an excellent VPN (Very Private Network), the Kaspersky Secure Connection. That is, encrypts anything going out from your computers or devices. Overall, for my money, Kaspersky is the best. Highly recommend!!

Original review: July 12, 2017

I am angry that their customer service and tech support can barely speak English. I wish I could give Zero stars. I am extremely angry that after spending almost an hour on the phone, and allowing them to remotely access my computer, it no longer works at all, and it is currently in a computer shop. When I wouldn't agree to let Kaspersky fix it, he started scolding me and warning me of dire consequences if I didn't let them fix the problems. I refused.

Then I received an angry call from Kaspersky tech support a couple of days later, again being rude and scolding me for taking it to a shop. Additionally, I'm very angry that they will not refund to me the remainder of my subscription cost, prorated for the time since March. I believe that their business practices are unethical and un-American. I know now that they are being investigated by the FBI for ties to Russia. I'm sorry I ever gave them even one penny of my money. The Kaspersky company is un-American, so are the employees, and their refund policies suck!

Original review: July 4, 2017

On 5/31/17 I paid $59.00 for a license to use Kaspersky on 5 home computers. Today is 7/4/17 and I have removed the application from all three of our computers. This application takes over your computer and makes it virtually impossible to interact with Google, Pinterest and many other internet sites. Each time I logged onto Google, I kept getting prompts for unsafe certificates. I would take the time to click through at least 12 warning screens only to have them pop up again 10 minutes later.

When I went to my banking site, the MONEY app tried to take over for password protection and was a challenge to fight back. Based on what I have read on this site, I'm lucky that I was able to disable Kaspersky without problems. I uninstalled on all three computers; cleared it out of my downloads folder; did a disk clean-up, and lastly, did a full system search for anything with a prefix of kts or kas. Looks clean. I think it's worth noting that I purchased the program based on the VERY HIGH recommendation of what I thought was a trusted software review site. Hmmmmm... Maybe they were getting paid to give it a high rating. In the future, I'll stick with reviews from actual users. It's a better measuring stick. Live and Learn!

Original review: July 2, 2017

I have been using Kaspersky Internet Security on my home PC and two others that I maintain for family. All three machines run Windows® 10, both Home and Professional. I am not an IT pro, I am what used to be known as a Power User. Kaspersky's products are not for beginners. Period. If you don't know how to change your homepage in your browser, or that apps are actually programs, or if you don't know what .exe, .dll, .iso, or .bat are, then you might want to get someone that knows about computers to set up your security.

I purchased a 3 year service plan for 3 devices, and I have 131 days left. I have had only one issue with Kaspersky in that time, and I caused it myself. I knew it would break, and I broke it anyway. Otherwise, it has performed flawlessly. It updates the definitions several times a day, it runs the scans when they are scheduled to run, it blocks ad banners in the browsers as advertised, and it's not a major resource hog. But let me say this again, this is NOT Windows® Defender™. This is not a piece of software that you install and forget. You must learn how to use it. It can break your computer if you don't know what you're doing. It can lock you out of your own machine. It can wipe your data if you configure it incorrectly.

Top antivirus testing labs and reviewers have all said the same thing, Kaspersky makes excellent programs. I agree wholeheartedly. I have used AVG, Spybot, AdAware, BitDefender, and a host of small, free anti-virus programs through the years. Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 is definitely one of the best I have used. It is extremely configurable, it's relatively lightweight, and its zero-day detection rate is above 99.7% in most real-world testing. Most of the time the zero-day detection rate is 100%. Webcam lockouts, mic lockouts, real-time program monitoring, heuristic analysis of your usage and usage patterns, bi-directional traffic monitoring, parental controls, and a VPN are good add-ons to have.

There are an estimated 400 million people that use Kaspersky's products worldwide. Think about that when you decide to write a review claiming that they don't know what they're doing, or that they're a ripoff, or that they did something to your computer. It's kind of like blaming Boeing for building an airplane that you can't fly because you're not a pilot. I recommend Kaspersky Anti-Virus, Kaspersky Internet Security, or Kaspersky Total Security to anyone that is willing to learn how to use it, or that knows someone that can set it up for them. TL;DR: Kaspersky products are good. They are not for beginners. Learn how to use things before you write bad reviews.

Original review: June 28, 2017

The worst software I have ever used. Followed by the worst tech support I have ever experienced. I can go into the details but it's with every aspect of the software. I used the business version of this which is supposed to update our computers as well as run antivirus. Well updates don't get done. Kaspersky sends files (updates) to computers when they don't need these files (causing wasted network resources). Tech support answer is uninstall / reinstall and wait until tomorrow. Antivirus let a virus through. Loses connection with my computers. Doesn't even update the Kaspersky database on systems. Hell even the server that Kaspersky was running on didn't have all updates applied. Completely useless product.

Original review: June 27, 2017

I called to ask why I had 2 different expiration dates for the software. I was transferred to tech support. After 3 1/2 hours on the phone with them because they totally messed with my operating system, I called an outside tech support to come and fix what they messed up. AWFUL.

Original review: May 12, 2017

I bought it at Walmart, installed it, I use Firefox, and my home page is Yahoo. After installing when I clicked on Firefox page comes up it won't connect to Yahoo. I called Kaspersky. They said they could sent me to tech support but I would be charged. I finally uninstalled it. Now my Firefox and Yahoo work fine. I can not get my money back so I am out 30 some dollars for nothing. I may as well took the money and cut it up with scissors. Do Not Buy or install or use this product. It is a Ripoff. This company, now I know is based in Moscow, Russia... no wonder it is a Sham.

Original review: May 6, 2017

Kaspersky destroyed my os. I downloaded the free 30 day trial of Kaspersky Internet Security 2017. It was a new machine with a fresh install of windows 10, everything worked great until... After installing Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 which went well I was asked to restart my computer which I did. At that point my machine would not boot back up to windows 10. I spent all day Friday like over 8 hours trying to reboot to my OS and it just wasn't happening. I called Kaspersky Tech support and they had no solution and then had the nerve to want to charge me somewhere in the neighborhood of $119 to connect to my computer and try and fix the problems their software had created, I was like, "Really?"

So I had no choice but to re-install my OS because when I use the restore point it worked but I was left with a OS that had a bunch of problems that were not there prior to installing this software. First my sound failed and no matter what I did upon re-installing the sound card software it just wouldn't work, my search tool would not work thereafter and most of the functions of the OS became corrupted and it turned into a nightmare.

Two days later, today I am looking at a complete wipe of all my data and doing a re-install of all and losing all of my data, music, bookmarks and files, let alone I will spend all day re-installing all my applications, games, music and setting up all the preferences for all the applications. I am very good with machine, I build machines, had no virus and never seen anything like this and I know it was this software that caused all the problems and causing my machine to become corrupted. I highly recommend having all your data saved to a hard disk or cloud prior to installing this software onto your machine, I am not going to use this at all. It wasted two days of my time.

Original review: April 28, 2017

Ever since they have came out with new version, computer lock up and runs slow. WARNING do not put on if you are running QuickBooks. Had to take to tech to get it removed. I can not get refund because it has been more than 30 days. I had 3 years still had 930 days left. They will not do anything for me.

Original review: April 6, 2017

I purchased a computer for my wife at Best Buy and received Kaspersky Internet Security free with a 2-year protection plan. Upon installing it on the new laptop I realized that it could be installed on up to 3 devices for free and thus installed it on my Lenovo laptop. Within minutes the system slowed to a crawl and would not let me navigate my files or the internet connection. I tried to uninstall and received a message that I was not able to since I lacked administrative rights. I contacted Kaspersky which sent me an uninstall link which I used first on my wife's laptop, and it worked however it would not allow an internet connection once removed.

I ended up resetting the entire computer from new, then it was fine. This is proof that the software designer does not like it to be removed. Further proof is when I went to run the uninstall on my laptop, it went into blue screen and has been stuck in a loop since, not a single F4, F8, F10 command will work and a Windows boot disc gives me a message that the hard drive is now locked. I have removed the hard drive and have an IT professional wrestling with it now but has been unsuccessful. All of my files and pictures are now gone and this PC has never given me a problem in the 3+ years that I have owned it. It would be an understatement to say that Kaspersky owes me a laptop because the contents that are now gone are way more important. I advise anyone reading this to stay away from this terrible sham of a program.

Original review: April 6, 2017

Kaspersky Anti-Virus is the worst Tech Product I have ever seen in my entire life. Take risk if you want but this product is NOT recommended for any means... The product itself is NOTHING superior nor useful but the most important thing is this Company will NOT stand behind their products when problems. They took the money and has NOTHING to do with you afterward. Maybe it is my bad luck with them but I do not buy this product ever again in my life... What a biggest scammer & unprofessional!!

Original review: April 2, 2017

I purchased a new laptop that has no DVD. I purchased the Kaspersky security a few years ago. I called as to how get the software installed. They said they would do so but claimed a problem. Refered me to the computer "event log" and indicated the problem was there and for $199 a year they could do this and do that, etc. I did not buy into the sales pitch. Something was wrong. I called a friend and found out I could download via the Internet using my key. I did not without any issues. Not a pleasant experience when someone tries to trick you into buying something NOT NEEDED. Thankfully I had other resources. BAD Kaspersky!

Original review: March 22, 2017

I've been using Kaspersky software since 2012 and have been very happy with it until 3/18/2017. I received an E-mail on 2/27 from their third party sales force Digital River. What a deal 2 years for the price of one. Installed it and away I went. Comes 3/18/2017 Bust buy of which last year I had the same issue and updated to my internet and protection script. I canceled the Bust buy renewal. When Best buy canceled the renewal it canceled all the Kaspersky software. I contacted Best Buy and their reply was "that's not our problem we just canceled your subscription!"

I contacted Kaspersky. I talked to the IT people and they said it was a subscription issue and told me to call them. I called them and they said it was an IT issue. I ended talking to 6 different people on Saturday March 18. I obtained 1 problem log. I was told that someone would reply on Monday March 20th. March 20th came along and no reply so I called again and got the runaround and finally talked to Manager and he said that a new 2 year activation code needs to be issued and he only had access to 1 years codes. He said he would contact me with in 48 hours. I also obtained a problem log code.

The evening of Monday March 20 I received a reply from the problems logs that read "if you have an issue contact us through the e-mail log system". Wednesday March 22nd. I had not received any replies. I called to cancel my account and re-apply for another entire code. Why is it so difficult to get anything done. It cost Kaspersky more in labor hours than it would have if they just fixed it in the beginning.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

Let me start off by saying that this software I'm using is the 30 day free one from the Play Store. I have another anti-virus software that out of the blue was no longer compatible for my cellphone (evening though I had the premium version). I did my reach and Kaspersky came out with high ratings. I do banking and my business on my cellphone and I need protection. So to start it off the software kept draining my battery and my cellphone stayed hot (scared my battery would explode). Then it say add numbers you want blocked and they can't contact you, still got those calls.

I'm a subscriber to a PC newsletter that I get every week. Yesterday, I received newsletter that stated Kaspersky stated 75% of Ransomware comes out of Russia. I say all of this to started on 2/15 I used Chrome(which Kaspersky say make my default browser) which before two weeks ago was another browser. Yesterday, 2/20, I logged into my business website because I get weekly security alerts. I had 98 hack attempts to my business website with all of the browser users being Chrome. I never before had so many hack attempts in one week (had my website for 2 years). I check and see what countries coming up and some of these I never had, some being Russia, Prague, Czech Republic, Poland and France, Brazil.

So yesterday I attempted to log out of my website the phone froze and would let me log out I had to shut it off. I get on my website today even though I closed the browser and turned off my website comes right up when I open the browser to get on my business site. Boy you wouldn't believe how busy those and more countries been busy trying to get in. All of these countries never before tried to hack my business website until I downloaded this software.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

Kaspersky is taking people's money. I purchased Kaspersky Total 2017 from Best Buy and when I was installing it I ran into an issue where Kaspersky wasn't working with Windows 10. Kaspersky would make my computer restart and delete itself from my computer. So I called the support line and got hung up on twice and finally when I got in contact with someone they managed to get me to buy another program called Secure Connection. So I got the unlimited connection and thought everything was fine. Man, was I ever wrong. So Kaspersky ended deleting itself again and wiping the computer. So I called the SUPPORT line again and this time I was told that I need to go back to Best Buy because that's where I bought it.

At Best Buy I was told to contact Kaspersky support line so I did again. This time I only got disconnected once on the phone and had to get online in chat. Since my computer was deleted I did have any codes for the secure connection and that "they couldn't find the order on their side" but was offered a replacement 4 full price. As for the Kaspersky Total Security I was once again told to go to my email fill out paperwork and maybe see if I got approved a refund. (Which I didn't get)

I've had Kaspersky for less than 2 week and it's been one thing after another. I've call them many time to help with the issues and not once did I feel as if they actually help the issues. I feel as if I was treat as a free loader that was just trying to pull one over when all I wanted was what I paid 4.

I recommend this product if you have money to waste and time to spare. Make sure all of your information is backed up and stored somewhere safe other than Kaspersky. I rate this program and customer service. o2 stars. I hope you don't get Marc ** as your support tech as he will call you back, speak a bunch of Spanish then hang up. Good luck with Kaspersky!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

Of course the product is poor. It slows your PC and is ineffective protection. Call center is in India and they do not help. But then auto renew you! So just Google Kaspersky and take clicks, every day, on the paid ads. That way you are charging them for something that does not work.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

In 2016 Kaspersky took two lots of money from my account and yet they didn't allow me to download the antivirus package. I managed to get one lot of money back but they kept the other 39 Euro, and nothing for it. It is the same story this year. They have taken the subscription from my account but there is no activation code available to me. When I try to obtain it they tell me I have to pay for it although I have already paid for it. No email address available to complain. Last year I did manage to email them but no reply.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2016

This software promises much but delivers far less. I have been trying to manage a network of less than 10 endpoints using Kaspersky Business Select for more than six months after a license update. Prior to this I had no problems - the original license came from Guardian Systems in 2013. They are located in some dog-awful place in Texas (what place is Texas isn't?). The renewal license came from the same place - supposed to be good until 2019. Once I applied it to the installation everything fell apart - I couldn't access endpoints that were formerly on the system, licenses on endpoints showed up as 'expired' and I couldn't fix them - the list goes on and on.

I'm DONE with Kaspersky - besides the kissy-kissy relationship between Eugene Kaspersky and Vladi the Emperor of Some of the Russias (and he hopes some more - good luck, sucker) I don't want to have anything to do with Russian based companies. This software is impossible - and the support is run out of Moscow. Most of the support people don't even understand English, let alone Russian. DON'T BUY KASPERSKY - you will regret it.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2016

No matter what third-party AV consumers tend to go with I always hear the same complaints. What many people fail to understand is there is always a trade off between convenience vs. security. Let's face it, the false positives and program incompatibilities hark on the former. However, on the positive side the consumer does get high detection rates and peace of mind knowing that your device is secure. Kaspersky AV is who I choose to go with because their AV suite is who I choose to go with. In reality, there is very little difference in who you go with (most of the detection rates are within fractions of a percentage of one another). What makes me a faithful Kaspersky AV customer is their best in class malware research team and their ability to provide a broad range of functionality across Linux, Windows, OS X, etc...

Original review: June 10, 2016

Since I installed this software I have had problems with compatibility with programs such as Facebook and internet banking. Spoke to tech support they told me to live with it until newer version comes out. Yesterday Facebook would not work at all, deleted Total Security anti-virus and all my programs now work fine. After explaining my problem to customer service I was told no refunds after 30 days even if you have 2yrs left on your subscription. Great customer service. Will use Viper in the future.

Original review: March 23, 2016

Support requires work. I opened a file that took 2 months to get an answer to and the answer does not address the original issue. If your issue is not addressed Kaspersky will close the file out and you must start all over again. My particular issue consisted of one problem on two different laptop systems (1) Windows 10 (2) Vista. The problem started on both laptops after updating to Kaspersky 2016. It took two months to solve the issue on Windows 10. Vista however still has the same ongoing issue. Has to do with secure money window not functioning when you go into your bank or other secure sites. P.S. It always worked just fine until updating to 2016.

All standard features as other security companies offer. Nothing really special. Has issues with Firefox, but so do other systems as well. If hacker really wants in they will get in. Operator of laptop fundamentally responsible for not being click happy & researching any questionable sites or downloads. I like most people are paying much more for the protection we are getting than we should be paying. With today's technology the price for security should be going down not up.

Kaspersky like all security software is not the answer to complete protection. Like having protected sex there is always a risk when surfing the net. A wrong or too quick click of the mouse or a poor decision without research can be hazardous to your computer's health. I can't say this enough. Regardless of whose software you are using ultimately you are the best defense against unwanted malware or problems. Be sure you do your research before downloading anything! Do not go to a website that you are unsure of, and most importantly take your finger off the mouse button and never click on anything you are uncertain of. You can't blame your software security on you being stupid.

Original review: March 23, 2016

I purchased a Kaspersky license and tried to install the application. The installation was incomplete at best. I could see the "K" logo in my system tray, but attempts to open the user interface always failed. There were no logs or other information I could find to diagnose the issue. Emails to Kaspersky resulted in canned replies which did not resolve the issue.

I finally tracked down a number to call and the person on the phone walked me through the same steps as in the email. I was told I would have to wait for a response from a Tier II technician (which I had been doing for two months). I refused and asked to speak with a supervisor or a TII tech right away. This was declined. I requested my money back and was told that since it was beyond the 30 day evaluation period I could not have my money back. I spoke to someone in sales and pointed out that the long delay was entirely due to Kaspersky not responding in a timely fashion. I eventually received my money back.

Since the application would not install on my Windows 8.1 laptop, I would have to say the only feature I observed is that $100 disappeared like magic. I see no value in this product at all. The product didn't work and the customer support was unable to help and unresponsive when I asked to be passed to a more senior tech. I will do all I can to make sure no one else overspends on this product. It didn't work, there was no meaningful customer support. Clearly this company functions simply to separate customers from their money.

Kaspersky Anti-Virus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Kaspersky Anti-Virus was developed in 2006 by Kaspersky Lab, an international security company that operates worldwide with 300 million users. Kaspersky Lab is based in the U.K. with U.S. headquarters in Massachusetts.

• Free trial: Kaspersky offers free trial downloads for Windows PC, Mac and Android, and business antivirus with applications for servers as well as desktop computers. There is no version for iOS devices.
    • Many price points: Antivirus software options range from $19.99 to $99.99, often with deep discounts. The highest option, Total Security, protects up to five computers and mobile devices of your choice. There is a 30-day money back guarantee.
    • Home and business options: There are three levels of antivirus software for home use offering basic to ultimate protection. Business solutions are defined by business size with three levels from small business to enterprise environments.
    • Virus & Spyware Removal: If your computer is not running optimally or you suspect there’s malware before you install the antivirus software, Kaspersky can remotely connect to your computer to find problems, and remove malware hiding deep in your system. The service costs $99.99.
    • Virtual keyboard: This technology lets the user enter passwords and other data using mouse clicks instead of a keyboard so keyloggers can’t capture this information.
    • Best for: Individuals, families, people handling highly sensitive information and businesses.
    Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
    Shelley Elmblad

Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Kaspersky Anti-Virus Company Information