2.52/5
Based on 75 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

77 Kaspersky Anti-Virus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I was a loyal Kaspersky Antivirus customer for the past decade, plus formerly, I had recommended what I felt to be a superior product to many other individuals, and a few organizations. Increasingly over the past decade, however, I was concerned about Kaspersky's tendency to usurp my right-of-choice relative to control over its self-serving and invasive marketing tactics, and my computer property. Additionally, I found it increasingly frustrating to locate accurate account information (including previous purchases and proof of Opt-Out requests for not participating in auto-billing) on the Kaspersky site, or its authorized retailer, Digital River. Product 2018's near-expiration marked the watershed moment when I went shopping for a competitive product, and made the switch. And I am wholly satisfied with my decision to do so (Bitdefender Internet Security 2019).

Kaspersky should step up their Customer Service game (in particular in light of prevailing privacy concerns of their North American customer base), and lose their invasive, nagsome near-expiration marketing strategies. For the last two weeks of the customer's paid-for license, the customer's computer is beset with intimidating messages displayed in glaring red-is-for-danger, "There's a problem with your license", and daily popups indicating "Renew now"-- all of which the customer is powerless to disable. Since this issue has been a reported issue with Kaspersky products for each of the 10 years that I was a loyal customer, I/"one" must conclude that Kaspersky is arrogantly indifferent to the concerns/needs/rights of their paying customers. In a globally competitive market, why should I/"one" continue to pay for such an experience? Answer--I no longer do, and neither do my referrals.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I have not been able to login to my account for a year. Kaspersky renewed my subscription without my permission last year and customer service is not helpful. Something like resetting a password should be simple and not require a phone call, but if you have to call it should be resolved immediately and was not. One the customer service people I spoke to actually laughed at me! I had the correct password, but still could not login to my account. I don't recommend any company that can't resolve a simple password reset.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I was looking for a little more protection for my MacBook and the saying "If it's not broken don't fix it" was never more appropriate. After extensive research it came apparent that Kaspersky Anti-Virus was the best for the MacBook from various sources but none of them Apple. I went ahead and purchased it and it was the most controlling, obstructive software I have experienced. It caused problems with the running of my MacBook and I needed to uninstall it. After many attempts and going around in circles I had to call Apple Care who managed eventually to clear my MacBook of it. Please do not download this onto a MacBook. The reason that many people, including myself buy Apple is because of the security. It is easy to believe that you need more and that is what these companies rely on. Trust Apple and live well alone.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I was looking to migrate to a new Anti-Virus/Security Software. I contacted them via their website and it was recommended that I install their "Total Security" trial and then upgrade to the full version. The trial didn't even last 3 days before I found how buggy the software was. I could not even open a normal browser window without Kaspersky on its own launching a "Protected Browser" and it was always to the exact same website.

I reported these issues and heard nothing back from them regarding this. Being ignored tells me many things as I am a Software Engineer by trade. Needless to say I decided that there was a huge lack of support and there were too many bugs/issues with it so I used the Windows "Programs and Features" to uninstall the program. I even restarted the computer.

I then installed the next on my list to try application. When it installed I received a message advising me that Kaspersky was still installed on the computer. Being told this I went to see if I could find anything on the internet regarding this... Found an article saying that there might be scheduled tasks that were not deleted, checked it out and it was not the case. Also, I did not see any files left on the computer.

I contacted them and things even became more crazy... I had to give them control of my computer and they attempted to reinstall their software (I had a new product and it prevented them from doing this, something I told them would happen). Ended up uninstalling the new solution so they could then re-install their solution to uninstall it again.

They then had me download an additional application and to have them run it while I was logged in to "Safe Mode". They then had me log back in and they said since it was not in the Taskbar it was no longer installed. As I am an IT Professional I was smart enough to have launched into the registry and found the first entry with "Kaspersky". They told me I would need to manually find and delete every occurrence. I could not believe what they were telling me. I also could not believe that they do not even have tools that will clean up a failed uninstall. As an IT Professional I cannot recommend this product and will stay away from it in the future.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I received two emails from Kaspersky stating that my renewal card has expired and they "will be unable to renew your subscription". No longer wanting to renew it all together I ignored the emails in hope that they will stop chasing a tail. Now I was expecting just one more email confirming that they were "unable to renew your subscription" but instead I got an email stating that "we're pleased to tell you that your Kaspersky Total Security has been automatically renewed," the following is a summary of your order etc "please keep this email as proof of your purchase". Without updating any payment details prior to this and at all, over the next couple of days I received a hefty $156.17 bill from my bank. Needless to say I was very unimpressed for the fact that they were able to bill a existing card that was expired. Currently awaiting for a refund after making some calls.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaspersky Anti-Virus?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Tried to cancel online, had more correct order number, but then you also have to input a password. When I clicked the forgot password, it never sent me a correct password. So I called. They wanted access to my computer, when I explained the computer that I am currently on Kaspersky wasn't on it, they still wanted access. Very suspicious. When I said, "I'm not going to give you access," they said, "You have to call your bank," which I did. Most legitimate business would rather take care of it themselves so you don't call a bank and they get a chargeback which affects the rating of their merchant account. Stay away from this company, use an American based company if possible.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I canceled the auto-renewal on my old subscription in June of 2018. It auto-renewed on July 1st and I was billed on August 3rd which was 30 days beyond the renewal date. When I asked for a refund they stated that I was beyond the 30 day window and could no longer get a refund. I believe this is unfair business practice as they know that if they wait until after the 28th of the previous month you will not see the cost until your next CC statement therefore not seeing it for over 30 days. I will no longer consider this company as a supplier to my household nor any company I work for from here forward due to this practice.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Last year I told Kaspersky very clearly I do not want the automatic renewal. Recently I received an email notice that my subscription will be renewed, using my credit card, 10 days prior to the end of my contract for $54.99. I did not agree to this amount. They offer the Anti-Virus service to new customers for $29.99. For $19.99 they offer a 1 year 1 device Anti-Virus protection in their online shop. That is the service I need and want. Kaspersky does not respond to my emails requesting to stop the automatic renewal of the service I do not want.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Problems with Product/Service. Complaint. I am an online student with ** Technical Community College (Jamestown, NC). January 2, 2018 I purchased a Kaspersky Anti-Virus product from my school's technology center within our school's bookstore. This was to replace my current ** product scheduled to expired the end of April 2018… (Show More of Complaint). Desired Resolution. Kaspersky is at fault by not reinstating to its vendors to include its refund policy. My packaging does not have that, therefore, I am entitled a refund of $70.44 to my Financial Aid or directly to me now that we are in the 2018-2019 cycle. That purchase was made during the 2017-2018 cycle.

Consumer Business Dialog. Business Management has reviewed the case this customer had opened with support previously and we stand by our decision to deny the customer’s request for a refund. Management explained that the vendor was not authorized to sell the product and recommended they contact the vendor directly. We understand the customer purchased this license in good faith and even offered them a complimentary code, which they declined.

Consumer. Better Business Bureau: I have reviewed the response submitted by the business and have determined that the response does not satisfy or resolve my issues and/or concerns in reference to complaint # **. I kept all of my email correspondence and none mention unauthorized vendor. The emails repeatedly referred to a 30 day refund policy not included in the packaging. I gave them my school's/vendor contact information which Kaspersky did not verify. The packaging has the school’s sales sticker with the date Spring 2015. I bought the sealed envelope January 2, 2018. I started my classes fall of 2016 and Kaspersky codes were sold the same way then. One of the links in the packaging directs back to my school’s tech support to assist with installing ANY software purchased through the school’s technology department. No software can be returned once opened.

I suggest that Kaspersky provide you with the phone transcripts and email correspondence. They are scam artist. I declined the free code because my daughter saw how frustrated I was and added me to her ** 360. Kaspersky isn't providing truth or facts. I'm so glad my school is selling ** 360 with **. It's not just the money, it’s the principle. This company has no positive post, nothing but complaints about their products and arrogant customer service representatives.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I am concerned it is affiliated with Russia and they use it to their advantage. We are looking for another Protection Software. I do not trust them and think they are trying to pull wool over American eyes.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Really solid software package, negligible performance impact and scans are relatively quick. I like the Safe Money feature although it sometimes hangs. Multi-computer order is the way to go. Ask for the five-computer package for the price of the three user. You have to ask but you will get it.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Kaspersky is excellent software but because of possibly that it could be a way of spying on us, I am dropping them in spite of losing financially 2 years of coverage.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I have used this antivirus security software in the past and I really liked it but it was a little bit high priced for it. Especially when you can do a lot of its functions for free with other antivirus security software.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Although somehow I got tricked on the tech support scheme this was when the antivirus was disabled completely couldn't even uninstall. So if someone could do this then they probably already on my computer. A TRIAL MALWAREBYTES PREMIUM caught stuff on my computer planted by the fake Kaspersky tech support.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I am very concerned about using this software, since these people are Russian. I have experienced security problems and my computer was hacked a number of times. I really think that it is due to the software.

Original review: March 18, 2018

With PC remote control they got control of my PC then transferred all my money out. With the ruse they were giving me a refund. I filed a police report and a claim with the fraud investigation department at my bank. I will post any follow up on results from the police or my bank. I do not ever expect to see my $1720. Again I had their service for eight months when they hit me. So much for PC Security. No stars due not even the one required above.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I signed up for the auto draft software where each year they take the money automatically from my account. Well, I tried to cancel it because I no longer have that computer and the representative told me they had to charge me 50 dollars in order to cancel my subscription. I've never heard of a business that does that, especially not at that price! That's crazy! So I said, "Ok. I will if I have to because I apparently signed a contract but I want to file an official complaint about it."

The representative got extremely rude with me, refused to allow me to file a complaint or put someone else on the phone. I wasn't even rude to him, I just asked to file a formal complaint as I do not think it's ok to charge someone that amount of money, or any at all for that matter, to cancel a subscription they no longer need. He told me that my complaint was invalid and refused to help me further. That is also crazy! That's terrible customer service! Don't purchase this unless you want to buy your way out when you're unsatisfied with the product.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Would not completely install, got hung up. Tried to uninstall. Would not completely uninstall. Has completely blocked my internet access to every single site. We are now trying to remove the program through other means and will try to get a refund, but I am not hopeful if their product is this crappy.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I've been a user of Kaspersky for over 10 years and haven't had any problems with it. Usually I do a better job of pricing, but this time I messed up and used the Kaspersky.com landing page promo. Found it $10 cheaper after the fact on Antivirusdeals.com. Otherwise, no complaints.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

This was recommended to me by Staples. I tried a few of the other ones but they were not as good. The only thing I found out recently about Kaspersky is that it is owned by a Russian fellow. This has me worried a bit but I assume it is safe. I realize it is a bit more expensive but if it protects the computer then my problem is solved. This program does notify you if you have been attacked. But instructions are easy to follow especially when you want to update first thing in the morning. Quick scan and full scan can be started. Also scan vulnerability. Try it.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I have Kaspersky Internet Security, and it works pretty well, but would like something that covered all malware etc. as well. I cannot afford what I would like to have.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Kaspersky is very difficult to set up. I had to contact customer service to help. I'm no computer pro but I'm pretty savvy. There are parts of the Total Security I don't use because I don't understand.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I've used various antivirus softwares. Kaspersky does things that I did not experience with others as: when I go to a website, they switch it to their secure sites; there is warning for suspicious sites which I have the option to block or continue; they put blocks on sites I request and the customer service has been excellent. They also provide monthly clean-ups.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

When I first looked up Kaspersky I picked a agent in India who wanted $200.00 and all my info. and let them take over my computer. I didn't let them because if their software was so good it should delete it anyway. I found a USA agent that sent me a virus removal tool. It worked. Later I found out they offer it FREE TO ANYBODY ONLINE. If it doesn't work first time you need to change parameters and update version. It's all FREE. Just a little work on you if you can read and follow instructions you have it made. Good luck. Oh it took me two times to get it right.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Have been using Kaspersky for about 2 years now and so far so good. Was using McAfee for a few years, Geek Squad changed me over saying Kaspersky was a more safe for antivirus software.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I have used other antivirus software and Kaspersky does the best job and lets me know about updates. But I had a problem and it took longer that I would like to have them take, but, in the end, they solved the problem.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

Wound up with viruses with Norton and especially with AVG. Have used Kaspersky for 3 years now and never a problem. They are really good and check everything.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I just do not like getting renewal pop-ups when my subscription is active. I think it was various downloads that cause confusion but I cannot locate where the old folders etc. are to remove them. It would be great that it automatically cleans out all of the old information no matter what device you order and install from if you install new but from now on I am only renewing to avoid that.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Pros: Product is effective, but sometimes difficult to use. For example, blocking a specific URL is a challenge. Customer service is fast, including phone support, and email exchange of troubleshooting steps. If asked to send a file, their review is quick and helpful to take the next step. Cons: Sucks CPU on Login until database is updated and scan is completed (I choose to scan daily). Password manager is inferior, LastPass is superior.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I was able to put the security software on my computer no problem, my boyfriend's computer is a different matter. Can't do it. Can't get hold of them with online chat even after three days. Phoned them up, said that he would contact me in 10 minutes with a fix. 8 hours later still waiting for a phone call. Getting a different security system for the other computer. Will not purchase Kaspersky again. I purchased the three computer system, at a store.

Kaspersky Anti-Virus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Kaspersky Anti-Virus was developed in 2006 by Kaspersky Lab, an international security company that operates worldwide with 300 million users. Kaspersky Lab is based in the U.K. with U.S. headquarters in Massachusetts.

• Free trial: Kaspersky offers free trial downloads for Windows PC, Mac and Android, and business antivirus with applications for servers as well as desktop computers. There is no version for iOS devices.

• Many price points: Antivirus software options range from $19.99 to $99.99, often with deep discounts. The highest option, Total Security, protects up to five computers and mobile devices of your choice. There is a 30-day money back guarantee.

• Home and business options: There are three levels of antivirus software for home use offering basic to ultimate protection. Business solutions are defined by business size with three levels from small business to enterprise environments.

• Virus & Spyware Removal: If your computer is not running optimally or you suspect there’s malware before you install the antivirus software, Kaspersky can remotely connect to your computer to find problems, and remove malware hiding deep in your system. The service costs $99.99.

• Virtual keyboard: This technology lets the user enter passwords and other data using mouse clicks instead of a keyboard so keyloggers can’t capture this information.

• Best for: Individuals, families, people handling highly sensitive information and businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
    Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Kaspersky Anti-Virus Company Information