2.64/5
  • 1 star
Based on 38 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for an Antivirus Provider?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 27, 2017

48 Kaspersky Anti-Virus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I was able to put the security software on my computer no problem, my boyfriend's computer is a different matter. Can't do it. Can't get hold of them with online chat even after three days. Phoned them up, said that he would contact me in 10 minutes with a fix. 8 hours later still waiting for a phone call. Getting a different security system for the other computer. Will not purchase Kaspersky again. I purchased the three computer system, at a store.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

When I first bought my computer 15 years ago I started out with Trend Micro internet security, I never had issues with viruses at all. I switched to Kaspersky internet security and now my computer is basically junk. It will barely turn on. I called and told them what was going on, the representative told me I must have had a virus before downloading Kaspersky. He referred me to a crappy computer cleaning service that cost me another $200.00. They got on my computer remotely, I watched them download a bunch of free Trojan removers, adware removers and a bunch of other crap. My computer worked a bit better for a couple weeks then it went back to basically being fried. I would NEVER recommend Kaspersky to anyone!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Awesome software. The company I work for (a trucking company) uses it so I have it on my personal computer. I have never been hacked. It's great at stopping spyware and malware as well as viruses.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I especially like the protected browser for my on-line work. This is primarily why I chose the program. The "More Tools" also allows me to "clean" up my computer and provide another level of security. I've had no issues with installation with the updates and the renewal even as I have continued to use Windows 7 (mostly due to some creative programs that will not transfer to Windows 10).

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

He had to secure antivirus secure passwords. It's probably the best Phantom Virus I've ever used and I've used quite a few. I'm never using other antivirus but Kaspersky and everything so organized and set up the way I wanted it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaspersky Anti-Virus?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

This has been a great security software for us to use. Grateful for the quality & the support received from customer, easy to use & follow. Upgrades are easy to use as well.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Kaspersky is very good antivirus product. It protects PC from viruses, bloatware, adware and etc. But also cost a lot of money. But it is worth that money.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Formerly used McAfee, but found it dreadful for performance. Changed to Kaspersky just over 3 years ago and very happy since! Though only needed once, support was timely and spot on.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I have pleased with Kaspersky for quite a long time now. But I have also used Malwarebytes also, as a backup. Malwarebytes does catch serious issues. But Kaspersky is my primary coverage.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

My virus software is included with my Best Buy tech support, I have the choice of which software to choose and I have choose Kaspersky. The only support for this software has been through my Best Buy tech support and I have had no problem with the software. I love my tech support membership and the Kaspersky software is easy to use, protects my computer better than other virus software I have used in the past. Overall, I believe even if I did not have Best Buy tech support, I would purchase this software for my computer devices.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I have had Kaspersky Anti-Virus premium package going on 6 years and never had my computer compromised at all. You can get their premium package for a period of 3 years with automatic updates and they do a complete scan of my computer every 24 hours.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Kaspersky does hamper the use of some websites but does a great job of keeping out viruses. It has been purchased and installed by my corporate office on all of our more than 4,000 computers.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I received an email thanking me for renewing my subscription. When a charge showed up on my statement I called to have the charges removed as no invoice was provided, the product was not downloaded and it was charged to an expired credit card. They refuse to refund the erroneous charge. I was told it was because my financial institute must have given out my personal information allowing the charge to go through. This is illegal in Canada.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I purchased Kaspersky over a year ago. My subscription expires on Feb. 18, 2018. A few days ago my Kaspersky security stopped working. I called the 800 number, and was in touch with Kaspersky tech's in the Philippines. They were no help. Eventually they told me I needed to be transferred to a higher department and pay for the help. I did not do this since I still had an active subscription. I eventually attempted to uninstall Kaspersky, and I can't. There are files on my computer that are from Kaspersky I can't uninstall. I get a message saying "application upgrade in process. Removing the application is not allowed now". This is the conclusion of the whole matter: WARNING DO NOT BUY KASPERSKY PRODUCTS!!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I was trying to get a refund and wow was this a challenge. First, the site did not work for 3 hours to process the refund. I called customer service and they confirmed it. Then 5 hours later, time measured from my first call, I logged in to my Kaspersky account to learn, if the site was working and only to discover that one can change the auto-renewal, but there is no clear and simple path on how to get your funds back or refund. After talking to the customer service again, I was finally able to get a confirmation number to get my money back and promised it within 10 to 15 days. Why not within 24 hours? So, I will monitor on how long it will actually take. I am posting this because I wasted 5 hours to get a refund, a process that should take a few minutes online and done with it. So, beware when signing up. Kaspersky takes your money quickly but not the other way around.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I have been in IT since 2000. I have used many different types of anti-virus and malware and security software over the years. Kaspersky by far is hands down the best out there. Real time updates. They are instantly on top of any new threats that come out and put out updates to prevent you from getting hit by the new threats. I recommend the Total Security. It gives you antivirus protection, malware protection, firewall protection, webcam blocker (to outside sources. Cough Government). It can check your email for bad/virus attachments, it can block ads/banners (which will help older pc's load webpages faster), a virtual keyboard so no keystroke virus recorders can detect your keystrokes/passwords/etc...

I have been using Kaspersky for about 10 years. I put it on every pc that I work on, or recommend it to any user I have to fix their pc where they only had some "free" anti-virus software but yet they still had many viruses on their pc. Let's face it, you get what you pay for. AVG, McAfee are crap! Norton tries to take over your whole pc and is very annoying. There are a few others that are ok, but none as good as Kaspersky.

There are some people on here saying that it messed up their pc. I'd be willing to bet that these people don't know the difference between and exe file and dll file. Their pc is probably an old POS anyway. Invite your geeky/nerdy/techy friend over and get them to set it up for you. Buy them some beer, or flirt with them. They'll take care of you and your POS pc.

And about the call service being in India, HELLO McFly, they aren't the only ones. (Why do you think Trump wants big companies to bring their business back to the US and give big business Tax cuts? If you keep charging ridiculous taxes, any company will go overseas to do their business!) Now people are giving Kaspersky a hard time because they "might" be in cahoots with the Russian Government. These people must be Democrat leftists.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

Kaspersky is an internet security company. They have ignored multiple attempts to unsubscribe to them, and continue to charge me. I have tried multiple ways to unsubscribe, and none of them work. Sometimes after following multiple steps of their complicated unsubscribe directions the website will quit working, but if I were to resubscribe from the same webpage it still works... Pretty convenient. I am in the process of reporting them to more places.

Original review: July 28, 2017

I have been trying to get an issue resolved with my Kaspersky software for five days now. I have attached a picture of the error I am getting and they send me an e-mail stating that the ticket number(s) I am giving them have been closed and say nothing about the attachment I am sending them. They have the ABSOLUTE WORST customer service I have ever dealt with. They are constantly passing the buck to a different department who, in turn, does the same thing. I have decided to cancel my subscription with Kaspersky and let everyone know how horrible they are if you have an issue. I will post how they dealt with me regarding getting my refund. There are a lot of anti-virus software companies out there - choose anyone but Kaspersky.

Original review: July 28, 2017

They advertise the free Kaspersky Antivirus but the download link does not work. I have tried from 4 different computers, two internet providers, and two browsers. Contacted support via the chat, extremely unhelpful and terminated the session without resolving any issue or acknowledging the problem.

Original review: July 27, 2017

Kaspersky ruined my computer for months after I used it. I trusted it because BestBuy gave it to me with a new computer. It was a Mac so I didn't try it on the Mac, but I installed it on my PC. I have been bombarded with errors and it got so slow I could hardly use it. It kept losing my connection to the internet often and it rebooted often and many other things. I decided it couldn't get any worse, so I uninstalled it and purchased PC-MATIC. Everything started working again and I doubt they will refund anything, but I'll try anyway. Also, when I called for help, the man was very rude and made me feel like a dummy. For the record, I am retired now, but I was a Programmer/Analyst for over 25 years, so I don't think I am as dumb as they treated me.

Original review: July 26, 2017

BEWARE of "KASPERSKY LABs" SCAM!!! Couple months ago. I got a promotional e-mail from www.softkey.ru Company, which is one of Kaspersky Laboratories agents, offering me to extend my license for Kaspersky Total Security products. I accepted their offer and paid for the product. So-called activation keys were delivered to me. When I tried to activate a new license I was getting an error message. Called Kaspersky Labs customer service. Informed them about my problem. They advised me to fill out an application for a refund, which I did. After playing red-tape with me for a few weeks they denied my refund, giving me a bogus reason, that the activation keys were delivered to me, which is according to them is a final point and proof of product delivery.

So, turns out they are not in business of selling software products!!! They are in business of selling useless combination of numbers!!! BEWARE of their SCAM!!!

Also, based on my past experience with Kaspersky Antivirus I have to point out that it is slowing computers down very significantly. Sometimes, bringing them to a complete stand-still. Since my license extension fiasco with Kaspersky I switched to ESET NOD32 product and enjoying great increase in my computers performance. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY with KASPERSKY Labs Products!!!

Original review: July 16, 2017

I have been using Total Security for a number of years now. I use it on 2 desktop computers,and 3 cell phones. I have used it on one desktop computer that had a virus on it and I could only fix it using the Kaspersky Total Security Rescue disc. It immediately located a Trojan horse virus and quarantined it for later deletion... Voila, the computer was up and running again and no problems since that time. The frequent virus definition updates are right on & provide the "zero day" protection. That is, as soon as new viruses come online Kaspersky does a tremendous of finding them & issuing an update. I have scheduled Full Scans, Quick Scans, Vulnerability Scans & several other scans. If one reads all the instructions & information about how to use Kaspersky you should have no problems. I am concerned that other users have had numerous problems. I highly suspect that these users have not read the instructions carefully.

You MUST follow all the directions carefully. I use the Safe Money portion and also the password manager. Both function superbly for me on all devices. It is absolutely an excellent password generator & it is easy to manage. It has been several years since I first purchased Kaspersky Total Security but I renewed for 3 years in 2016. Recently there have been several media articles about Kaspersky being run by a Moscow Russia entity. There has been much mistrust about Kaspersky and that they may be involved with the Russian Government. My personal opinion is that even though Kaspersky is owned by a Russian, he can not afford to cause problems by interacting with the government to spy on the users of his software.

So far it is only speculation. If it can be proven that he is in cahoots with the government beyond any reasonable doubt then I will uninstall my version of Kaspersky and remove any residue from all my devices and find another Firewall/Anti-virus company. Until that time I will continue to use Kaspersky as I have found no better software that does what Kaspersky Total Security does. It provides an excellent VPN (Very Private Network), the Kaspersky Secure Connection. That is, encrypts anything going out from your computers or devices. Overall, for my money, Kaspersky is the best. Highly recommend!!

Original review: July 12, 2017

I am angry that their customer service and tech support can barely speak English. I wish I could give Zero stars. I am extremely angry that after spending almost an hour on the phone, and allowing them to remotely access my computer, it no longer works at all, and it is currently in a computer shop. When I wouldn't agree to let Kaspersky fix it, he started scolding me and warning me of dire consequences if I didn't let them fix the problems. I refused.

Then I received an angry call from Kaspersky tech support a couple of days later, again being rude and scolding me for taking it to a shop. Additionally, I'm very angry that they will not refund to me the remainder of my subscription cost, prorated for the time since March. I believe that their business practices are unethical and un-American. I know now that they are being investigated by the FBI for ties to Russia. I'm sorry I ever gave them even one penny of my money. The Kaspersky company is un-American, so are the employees, and their refund policies suck!

Original review: July 4, 2017

On 5/31/17 I paid $59.00 for a license to use Kaspersky on 5 home computers. Today is 7/4/17 and I have removed the application from all three of our computers. This application takes over your computer and makes it virtually impossible to interact with Google, Pinterest and many other internet sites. Each time I logged onto Google, I kept getting prompts for unsafe certificates. I would take the time to click through at least 12 warning screens only to have them pop up again 10 minutes later.

When I went to my banking site, the MONEY app tried to take over for password protection and was a challenge to fight back. Based on what I have read on this site, I'm lucky that I was able to disable Kaspersky without problems. I uninstalled on all three computers; cleared it out of my downloads folder; did a disk clean-up, and lastly, did a full system search for anything with a prefix of kts or kas. Looks clean. I think it's worth noting that I purchased the program based on the VERY HIGH recommendation of what I thought was a trusted software review site. Hmmmmm... Maybe they were getting paid to give it a high rating. In the future, I'll stick with reviews from actual users. It's a better measuring stick. Live and Learn!

Original review: July 2, 2017

I have been using Kaspersky Internet Security on my home PC and two others that I maintain for family. All three machines run Windows® 10, both Home and Professional. I am not an IT pro, I am what used to be known as a Power User. Kaspersky's products are not for beginners. Period. If you don't know how to change your homepage in your browser, or that apps are actually programs, or if you don't know what .exe, .dll, .iso, or .bat are, then you might want to get someone that knows about computers to set up your security.

I purchased a 3 year service plan for 3 devices, and I have 131 days left. I have had only one issue with Kaspersky in that time, and I caused it myself. I knew it would break, and I broke it anyway. Otherwise, it has performed flawlessly. It updates the definitions several times a day, it runs the scans when they are scheduled to run, it blocks ad banners in the browsers as advertised, and it's not a major resource hog. But let me say this again, this is NOT Windows® Defender™. This is not a piece of software that you install and forget. You must learn how to use it. It can break your computer if you don't know what you're doing. It can lock you out of your own machine. It can wipe your data if you configure it incorrectly.

Top antivirus testing labs and reviewers have all said the same thing, Kaspersky makes excellent programs. I agree wholeheartedly. I have used AVG, Spybot, AdAware, BitDefender, and a host of small, free anti-virus programs through the years. Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 is definitely one of the best I have used. It is extremely configurable, it's relatively lightweight, and its zero-day detection rate is above 99.7% in most real-world testing. Most of the time the zero-day detection rate is 100%. Webcam lockouts, mic lockouts, real-time program monitoring, heuristic analysis of your usage and usage patterns, bi-directional traffic monitoring, parental controls, and a VPN are good add-ons to have.

There are an estimated 400 million people that use Kaspersky's products worldwide. Think about that when you decide to write a review claiming that they don't know what they're doing, or that they're a ripoff, or that they did something to your computer. It's kind of like blaming Boeing for building an airplane that you can't fly because you're not a pilot. I recommend Kaspersky Anti-Virus, Kaspersky Internet Security, or Kaspersky Total Security to anyone that is willing to learn how to use it, or that knows someone that can set it up for them. TL;DR: Kaspersky products are good. They are not for beginners. Learn how to use things before you write bad reviews.

Original review: June 28, 2017

The worst software I have ever used. Followed by the worst tech support I have ever experienced. I can go into the details but it's with every aspect of the software. I used the business version of this which is supposed to update our computers as well as run antivirus. Well updates don't get done. Kaspersky sends files (updates) to computers when they don't need these files (causing wasted network resources). Tech support answer is uninstall / reinstall and wait until tomorrow. Antivirus let a virus through. Loses connection with my computers. Doesn't even update the Kaspersky database on systems. Hell even the server that Kaspersky was running on didn't have all updates applied. Completely useless product.

Original review: June 27, 2017

I called to ask why I had 2 different expiration dates for the software. I was transferred to tech support. After 3 1/2 hours on the phone with them because they totally messed with my operating system, I called an outside tech support to come and fix what they messed up. AWFUL.

Original review: May 12, 2017

I bought it at Walmart, installed it, I use Firefox, and my home page is Yahoo. After installing when I clicked on Firefox page comes up it won't connect to Yahoo. I called Kaspersky. They said they could sent me to tech support but I would be charged. I finally uninstalled it. Now my Firefox and Yahoo work fine. I can not get my money back so I am out 30 some dollars for nothing. I may as well took the money and cut it up with scissors. Do Not Buy or install or use this product. It is a Ripoff. This company, now I know is based in Moscow, Russia... no wonder it is a Sham.

Original review: May 6, 2017

Kaspersky destroyed my os. I downloaded the free 30 day trial of Kaspersky Internet Security 2017. It was a new machine with a fresh install of windows 10, everything worked great until... After installing Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 which went well I was asked to restart my computer which I did. At that point my machine would not boot back up to windows 10. I spent all day Friday like over 8 hours trying to reboot to my OS and it just wasn't happening. I called Kaspersky Tech support and they had no solution and then had the nerve to want to charge me somewhere in the neighborhood of $119 to connect to my computer and try and fix the problems their software had created, I was like, "Really?"

So I had no choice but to re-install my OS because when I use the restore point it worked but I was left with a OS that had a bunch of problems that were not there prior to installing this software. First my sound failed and no matter what I did upon re-installing the sound card software it just wouldn't work, my search tool would not work thereafter and most of the functions of the OS became corrupted and it turned into a nightmare.

Two days later, today I am looking at a complete wipe of all my data and doing a re-install of all and losing all of my data, music, bookmarks and files, let alone I will spend all day re-installing all my applications, games, music and setting up all the preferences for all the applications. I am very good with machine, I build machines, had no virus and never seen anything like this and I know it was this software that caused all the problems and causing my machine to become corrupted. I highly recommend having all your data saved to a hard disk or cloud prior to installing this software onto your machine, I am not going to use this at all. It wasted two days of my time.

Original review: April 28, 2017

Ever since they have came out with new version, computer lock up and runs slow. WARNING do not put on if you are running QuickBooks. Had to take to tech to get it removed. I can not get refund because it has been more than 30 days. I had 3 years still had 930 days left. They will not do anything for me.

Kaspersky Anti-Virus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Kaspersky Anti-Virus was developed in 2006 by Kaspersky Lab, an international security company that operates worldwide with 300 million users. Kaspersky Lab is based in the U.K. with U.S. headquarters in Massachusetts.

• Free trial: Kaspersky offers free trial downloads for Windows PC, Mac and Android, and business antivirus with applications for servers as well as desktop computers. There is no version for iOS devices.

• Many price points: Antivirus software options range from $19.99 to $99.99, often with deep discounts. The highest option, Total Security, protects up to five computers and mobile devices of your choice. There is a 30-day money back guarantee.

• Home and business options: There are three levels of antivirus software for home use offering basic to ultimate protection. Business solutions are defined by business size with three levels from small business to enterprise environments.

• Virus & Spyware Removal: If your computer is not running optimally or you suspect there’s malware before you install the antivirus software, Kaspersky can remotely connect to your computer to find problems, and remove malware hiding deep in your system. The service costs $99.99.

• Virtual keyboard: This technology lets the user enter passwords and other data using mouse clicks instead of a keyboard so keyloggers can’t capture this information.

• Best for: Individuals, families, people handling highly sensitive information and businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
Shelley Elmblad

Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Kaspersky Anti-Virus Company Information