2.76/5

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Kaspersky Anti-Virus

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Kaspersky Anti-Virus Reviews

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Tried calling and they have a bunch of random numbers and all customer service reps are so rude and not helpful at all!! I had a simple problem. I was charged 20 dollars on my PayPal for Kaspersky internet and I never got it on my computer. They could have told me how to download it or given me my money back since I never got it. But they did nothing except tell me to call other numbers!! and they were so rude and did not answer any of my questions.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

The prior years versions of Kaspersky worked fine, Kasperksy 11 has been a never ending battle to keep the system working and battle bugs/problems. Requires too many ports, and has had too little testing.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

As soon as I installed Kaspersky I was unable to download files more than 25% of the time. I am an experienced user and know that the files I was downloading were safe but I could only get them after disabling Kaspersky. It also deleted without asking a number of file that I know are safe and that had been on my computer for years.

Worst of all it killed my email program (Thunderbird). The process would start but not the program AND the thunderbird.exe process could not be killed short of a restart. Most restarts failed and I had to use the power button to force a shutdown and then restart. Tonight I uninstalled Kaspersky (that was a trauma too) and replaced it with another program. Magic! - The computer including Thunderbird now work as they should.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

I have purchased Kaspersky but they didn't provide the activation codes and there is no way of contacting them in Australia, nothing zilch, so if you want problems buy this garbage. Otherwise use a proper company.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

My Kaspersky software was up for renewal. I received a pop-up message that it was about to expire. I went to the application and there was no 'RENEW' button as stated there would me in the tutorial. I called and got tech support and he informed that I would need to call their customer service at (877) 232-4588. I had my email address, License number and all other information. The customer service representative (CSR) informed that without an order number I would need to go back to where I bought my PC and have them help me. I have had my PC for 3 years and had no issues before this with Kapersky but apparently they do not care about existing customers. Two hours of time wasted and they have no regard for existing customers. Stay away from this product!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaspersky Anti-Virus?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

Unfortunately, zero stars is not an option. My license for Kaspersky is about to expire. I had to go and buy a new version of Kaspersky "Total Security" at Officeworks because Kaspersky's on-line renewal is twice the price of the retail (not discounted) version. Think about the ethics of that as a starting point!! I had trouble downloading the new version of Kaspersky Total Security. No verification email was sent to my valid email address despite several attempts. I tried trawling through the on-line help, but nothing was available. Eventually I rang the help line.

Why does Kaspersky only offer help if you are prepared to allow them to take control of your computer remotely? (They rudely hang-up when you politely decline.) This is the first rule of secure computing - don't install programs that allow remote access! Harvey Norman in Australia won't sell Kaspersky. I am beginning to understand why! I am going to try to get my money back from Officeworks tomorrow. I'll bet I have trouble doing that as well. Oh well, another $96 down the gurgler.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

Very disappointed in this product. Just to be clear, in the past, a few years before I purchased the 2018 edition I have had no issues with Kaspersky. It seems that this new practice or model is just not up to standard. Pros: Some sense of security. Cons: Slows the PC dramatically. Caused internet issues. Caused issues when connecting devices through USB ports. A big hassle when trying to cancel subscription. (In my opinion made deliberately difficult so as to dissuade consumers from finding a way to cancel their renewal payment.) Does installed other programs which slows the PC even more. Products are installed all over the place, making uninstalling a real hassle. Pretty expensive for something that does not work as efficiently as your standard Windows defender and firewall.

This product is not very good at all. The cons listed are from my own personal and frustrating experience. Also note, when I contacted Kaspersky staff to help with an issue (the issue being that my iPhone could not be connected to my PC to it up) staff told me it was my fault. Even though a day before the iPhone connected with no issues as i did not have Kaspersky installed the day prior. I went ahead and uninstalled the Product and restarted the PC and had no issues connecting my iPhone to the PC.

Biggest issue is when trying to configure your Kaspersky to suit your needs, only to see that the settings or options are different to the ones presented on their help website and on tutorial videos. With some options missing altogether. Very frustrating. I cannot comment too much on other functions as i had not used it extensively, uninstalling it the day after it was installed and issues began cropping up. I haven't used any programs since and i have had no issues with viruses. If you visit safe sites and don't download from unsecure sources then there should be no need for any additional anti virus software. If you take care of your PC, running tests, doing backups and visiting secure sites, you should be in the clear. But do not take my advise on that, Seek professional advice about PC security. In the end its, your hard earned money, and you have the right to fair consumer opinion. So as to make the right decision.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

Last year my experience with Kaspersky Total Security was very positive. It didn't slow down my computer, ran quietly in the background, and did what it was supposed to do. I liked the interface, and the customer service was very good. I recommended it to all my friends, and I also renewed. Well, this time around (2019) it has been a horrible experience. It screwed up my computer so completely that I thought my laptop was dying. It froze constantly. Whenever I tried to do something I'd get that spinning wheel cursor (I use a Mac) and I'd wait, sometimes 5 minutes, for it to stop. Then I'd do the next click and it'd do the same thing. I practically had time for a shower just waiting for pages to load.

I had to force close programs, and force shut-down constantly. When I turned it back on I never knew if it was going to start, or how many times I'd have to try and restart before it took. It was really a nightmare. I reset PRAM/NVRAM, I reinstalled the OS, I ran hardware tests, ran disk utility. I booted in Safe Mode. Any possible solution that I found on the internet, I tried. Then I thought, 'well, let me try replacing the hard drive.' So I did that. Same problem. At that point I figured something was terribly wrong with my laptop and was about the take it to the computer guy.

Then I remembered when I was doing my research about the best antivirus programs a year ago, that some people wrote that some antivirus programs can actually wreak havoc on your computer. Hmmm... one last attempt before I spend what is likely to be a lot of money... I uninstalled Kaspersky and voila! My laptop is just fine. Back to its normal, unprotected self, and I am back to researching anti-virus programs. I took it off my Android, too. There are still 217 days remaining that I paid for, but oh well. Just so you know, I don't usually do reviews, but this has been such a horrible experience. Maybe it will work for you, maybe it won't. Enter at your own risk.

Original review: July 14, 2019

I have been customer since 2013 and it worked fine. This year nothing really worked properly. According to the recent reviews many other customers had problems starting in 2018. So I decided to go with a different company. The problem is I can't get to the website to undo the auto-renewal!! It directs here and there but nothing works which I concluded after 3 hours of trying. My only hope is that they have my old and deleted card and will not be able to get to the money.

Original review: June 30, 2019

I am a cryptographer for a major Canadian bank. The installation on my home computer was slow and then I could not update the virus database nor run any scans. Kaspersky simply did not run after multiple installs and fixes. I had used McAfee for years and it was a resource hog but at least it worked. Terrible experience and support. Find something else!!!!

Kaspersky Anti-Virus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Kaspersky Anti-Virus was developed in 2006 by Kaspersky Lab, an international security company that operates worldwide with 300 million users. Kaspersky Lab is based in the U.K. with U.S. headquarters in Massachusetts.

• Free trial: Kaspersky offers free trial downloads for Windows PC, Mac and Android, and business antivirus with applications for servers as well as desktop computers. There is no version for iOS devices.

• Many price points: Antivirus software options range from $19.99 to $99.99, often with deep discounts. The highest option, Total Security, protects up to five computers and mobile devices of your choice. There is a 30-day money back guarantee.

• Home and business options: There are three levels of antivirus software for home use offering basic to ultimate protection. Business solutions are defined by business size with three levels from small business to enterprise environments.

• Virus & Spyware Removal: If your computer is not running optimally or you suspect there’s malware before you install the antivirus software, Kaspersky can remotely connect to your computer to find problems, and remove malware hiding deep in your system. The service costs $99.99.

• Virtual keyboard: This technology lets the user enter passwords and other data using mouse clicks instead of a keyboard so keyloggers can’t capture this information.

• Best for: Individuals, families, people handling highly sensitive information and businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
      Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Kaspersky Anti-Virus Company Information