Call toll free
4.96/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Total Defense has been a global leader in Internet security and anti-malware software since 1992. Total Defense products protect you, your family, and your PCs, Macs, Android tablets and smartphones against viruses, ransomware, and identity theft. Total Defense's friendly US-based technical support and customer care teams are committed to protecting consumers from the dangers of online threats everyday.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

810 Total Defense Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I had an ad pop up on my computer that I could not remove. Taylor guided me through the process of removal while able to take control of my computer and he was able to complete the task. I am not computer smart and he had the patience to guide me. Thank you.

Total Defense response

We always like to hear from our customers Salvatore!

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I spoke with Gary. I was very impressed with the manner in which he solved the problem I was having. I am so glad I went with Total Defense. I am hopeful that everything will work out okay. I am looking forward to working with them in the future.

Total Defense response

We appreciate your feedback Emma!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I called to renew my subscription to Total Defense, because I had forgot my password. My credit card that was on file was compromised and I have a replacement card. When I called, the number was incorrect on the email I received to renew. Another number was an inactive one also.

Total Defense response

Glad to hear it Patricia!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

She was very friendly and knowledgeable in what she was doing and what was needed to be done to fix the issue (upgrade from unlimited to ultimate security). Lori stayed on phone line with me while using Team viewer to take care of the issue. Tell my laptop had to reboot to update and fix the problem.

Total Defense response

We always like to hear from our customers Michael!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Critical error encountered during Total Defense download installation. Same error was encountered on several installation attempts. It was also discovered that a recent Windows 10 upgrade was being held up due to an out of date BIOS file on the computer. The BIOS file was updated by the user and the Windows upgrade successfully completed. Tried to download and install Total Defense after the upgrade completed. Although it appeared the TD installation completed user was unable to open the software. TD support team cleaned computer and installed TD software successfully.

Total Defense response

Thank you for your great feedback David!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Defense?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Thank you very much for your patience and understanding, you readily helped me with my rebate issue and also fixed my problem setting up my Total Defense. Your help was very much appreciated, please continue to do the fine work you do. Happy, happy, happy. Have a good day.

Glad to hear it Arthur!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

My experience today with your customer service was pleasant, friendly and very helpful, as he is very knowledgeable, of the system and provide the necessary solution to my problem. Thank you for the prompt assistance, I was very impress with his patient towards my ignorant of the situation.

Total Defense response

We always like to hear from our customers Claudia!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I am a senior and not to computer savvy. I used the Chat line for help as I have hearing loss too. The chat line Rep was so very helpful to correct problems with my Total Defense Account. I'm happy to say my account is up and running again. And my computer is now fully protected. Thank you.

Total Defense response

Thank you for your feedback Teresa!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

There was a red box on the scan page that said, “No tuneups completed”. I really like my PC TuneUp software and wanted to make sure that I was actually making my computer work better when I ran the program.

Total Defense response

We appreciate your time Alan!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I spoke with Gary for help on 1/09/2019 and 1/10/2019. He was very patient with me, courteous, and knowledgeable. I had some kind of an internet problem and he had to back me out of Total Defense security and reinstall it. Done successfully.

Total Defense response

Thank you for your great feedback William!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Lori was able to clarify whether a virus subscription renewal had occurred at the due time for one of two email addresses which I have. Her analytical skills distinguished between the two, and resolved the issue satisfactorily by informing me that the renewal had occurred. Thank you Lori.

Total Defense response

We appreciate your feedback Peter!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Daniel was extremely polite and professional. He handled my problem quickly and efficiently. It was a pleasure to have him handle my concerns. I seldom have this experience when dealing with other support people.

Glad to hear it Richard!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I am 61 years old and I had a virus on pc. I call Total Defense, spoke to Danial and in ten minutes it was solved. Greatest guy I know today. Lowered my blood pressure and put me at ease. Best experience I ever had. Danial ** my man!!!

Total Defense response

We appreciate your time Lawrence!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Gary ** was very professional when assisting me with renewing my Total Defense account. He made me feel that my request was as important to him as it was to me. I am glad that I was introduced to Total Defense.

Total Defense response

Thank you Glenda for your feedback!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Gary did a great job helping me with an issue I had on my old laptop yesterday. I am a long time customer of Total Defense and every time I've had need of your services they have been. I have been well satisfied. I am very happy Total Defense is located back in The USA.

Total Defense response

Thank you for your great feedback Richard!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

He was just nice and very helpful and He help get the annoying box off my screen and I was to thank him for being so understanding and helpful. So whoever his boss is please get him a raise or a bonus.

Glad to hear it Mary!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Called to inquire about my auto renewal and about a troubling message on my computer. I ran a quick scan and saw no issues and your agent confirmed it. He was VERY helpful and has my THANKS and will continue to use Total Defense.

Total Defense response

We love to hear from our customers. Thank you for your feedback Michael!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

While trying to renew my subscription to Total Defense, I encountered some problems with the download. I had a small laptop which had not been used for a year or so and the anti virus software had expired. I ran into problems I could not solve, so I called customer service. I was put in touch with Carlos **, who was very helpful. My problem had several levels of difficulty, and he synced in to my computer and it was really cool to be able to watch as he clicked through and solved all of the problems in a short amount of time. He fixed a lot of issues which kept the download from happening, and in the end, everything worked perfectly. You have a good Tech working for you. He was patient with me (as I was a little anxious) and he worked through the problems systematically and with skill. He solved the problem, and that was the goal. Thanks, Carlos, you made my day.

Total Defense response

Thanks for your loyalty Kathy!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Dan worked diligently, professionally and successfully on my install issue. I cannot say enough good things about his performance. Your company should feel fortunate to have a service focused individual like Dan on your team! If you'd like more specifics, don't hesitate to contact me.

Total Defense response

Much appreciated. Thanks George!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Problem was resolved quickly and completely. Very nice tech and I will recommend this to anyone and everyone. Thanks for being so quick, polite and efficient. I am so relieved to know my new computer is well covered with protection.

Total Defense response

Many thanks for your feedback Carol!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Lori was the service representative who remotely accessed my computers and helped me install Total Defense Premium and Total Defense PC Tune-up. She was very knowledgeable and thorough. She didn't end our session until she knew everything was installed and working correctly. The best installation experience ever!!

Total Defense response

Glad we were able to assist. Thanks Sharry!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Thanks for taking your time with me. I was very happy with the young lady I spoke with, in reference to getting a refund, thanks again... She told me that I was too early with my renewal request and that I should wait until my expiration date on old account is close to being over.

Total Defense response

We appreciate your feedback!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I was very pleased with the service Daniel ** gave me with setting up my system. He was extremely knowledgeable and patient with me considering I am not a tech person. I appreciate his help in setting this up. I know with Total Defense I will be in good hands if I have any problems in the future.

Total Defense response

Glad we could assist you Karen!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I have work in management and customer service for many years and I can truly say that the service I receive from Total Defense Support was excellent. Not just by Mr. Gary ** that kept in contact with me by email but other representative for the company that I spoke with by phone. Thank you Total Defense Support. Keep up the good work.

Total Defense response

Thank you Shari for taking the time!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

She was so helpful, I have tried to talk to others they could not help me, this person was so helpful and very polite. I would and do tell everyone how great Total Defense is, this is my second time with you, and I love it. Thank you.

Total Defense response

Thanks for your valuable feedback Regina!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I needed help setting it up on my laptop and the young man helped me through it. The gentleman that answered the phone helped me and walked me through the process where I can understand it and was able to download onto my laptop. Thank you for the help.

Total Defense response

Glad we were able to assist. Thanks Megan!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Gary provided good customer care. He was professional and knew what procedure to follow to correct my trouble with installation of security program. I did not know how to download program since it has McAfee on it and I could not get McAfee off using instructions.

Total Defense response

Many thanks for your feedback Diane!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

My experience with Taylor, a TOTAL DEFENSE INTERNET SECURITY employee was pleasant, enjoyable, and fruitful. Taylor was very professional, clear and above all patient with me and of course he got the job done. The TOTAL DEFENSE app is now in my laptop and if it as good as their employee they have a winner.

Total Defense response

Great feedback Joseph! We genuinely appreciate it!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I will recommend your company to friends. This is the first time I have had to use tech support and Gary was very helpful and solved my problem. The problem I had was somehow Total defense got replaced with Avast.

Total Defense response

We love to hear from our customers. Thank you Ronald!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Gary was very courteous, friendly and professional. It was a pleasure talking to someone you could UNDERSTAND and who didn't sound like they were reading from a script. Talking to him was like having a conversation with a friend or neighbor.

Total Defense response

Thank you Edward! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback!

Total Defense expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Total Defense software protects your internet-connected devices from malware and viruses. It is a subscription service that you can renew annually for optimal protection, and the company guarantees results.

• Services: In addition to malware and virus protection, Total Defense also offers PC tuneups and online backup services.

• Protect all your devices: Total Defense can protect all of your internet-connected devices, like laptops, desktops, tablets and more. For $60 you can cover five devices for a year; if you need more coverage, you can always add it on.

• Free tech support: You can call the tech support or customer care line weekdays during business hours for help with downloading, installation, updates and more.

• Automatic renewal service: Total Defense automatically renews your service at the end of a year so you don’t have to go a day without protection. Of course, you can also cancel your service at any time.

• Virus-free guarantee: If a virus happens to slip through Total Defense’s protections, the company will remove it for free. If they can’t, you’ll get your money back. They also have a money-back guarantee if you aren’t happy with the service up to 60 days after your purchase.

• Best for: people with internet-connected devices and computers to protect from viruses and malware.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Total Defense Company Information