Call toll free
4.98/5
Based on 360 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Total Defense has been a global leader in Internet security and anti-malware software since 1992. Total Defense products protect you, your family, and your PCs, Macs, Android tablets and smartphones against viruses, ransomware, and identity theft. Total Defense's friendly US-based technical support and customer care teams are committed to protecting consumers from the dangers of online threats everyday.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

360 Total Defense Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 19, 2018

Customer service rep was able to quickly and correctly help me get the product installed on a second device. Everything worked as he said it would and the software was installed in less than 10 minutes. Ran a quick scan and it finished in just a few minutes. Very pleased.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 19, 2018

Today service was excellent. I'm very grateful with the representative because he helped me with my installation. I really appreciate everything he did for me. I won't doubt getting in contact with Total Defense again. Thank you! I will totally recommend Total Defense to my friends and family.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Was shocked to get a message indicating that my subscription had expired when I knew I had another year left. I call HELP. Their hold time was minimal (quite shocking in today's world). Carlos looked up my info and after I described what was happening, the fix was easy and immediate. I have been with Total Defense for several years and always recommend this company to family and friends. Thanks for keeping it simple.

Total Defense response

Thank you for being a loyal Total Defense customer Dori!

Original review: July 19, 2018

Gary was a God sent for me. He talked in words that I could understand and was very helpful in getting this reinstalled on my computer. I wish you had 10 stars for him. He knows how to work with people of limited knowledge of computer.

Original review: July 18, 2018

The service was awesome and very high-quality customer service!!! He took care of the problem very quickly and had a he was very knowledgeable!! I will recommend this service to others!!! The guy knew what he was doing and made it very easy on me!!

Total Defense response

We thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback Christopher!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Defense?

Original review: July 18, 2018

Fast, friendly and helpful service. I was having trouble activating my antivirus that I had purchased 2 days ago. Thank you for resetting the code so I could get my computer up and running again. I didn't have to wait on hold for too long and the problem was easily resolved. Thank you!

Total Defense response

It was my pleasure to assist you Julie!

Original review: July 18, 2018

Technical problem (suspected virus and browser problems). Resolved by technician, Dan **. Excellent service. I have had this technician in the past and he always is patient and resolves my problems. He is one of the reasons I renewed my service contract. I appreciate his attitude. Thank You.

Total Defense response

Glad we were able to assist you James!

Original review: July 18, 2018

I called customer service and spoke with Gary **. Not only was he extremely kind, polite and patient, but he was also excellent in his ability to resolve the technical problem I was having with the Total Defense product. Outstanding customer service and product!

Total Defense response

It was a pleasure assisting you Maryangela!

Original review: July 18, 2018

Very professional and helpful. Gary solved the problem and it was a pleasure to deal with him and refreshing to experience such an excellent customer service. Total Defense has a employee in Gary who is a real asset and top notch in computer problem resolution.

Total Defense response

Thank you Thomas for that great feedback!

Original review: July 17, 2018

I called today be help with my Total Defense installation and was very satisfied with the representative. He was very efficient with the installation and explained everything to me. My Total Defense software is provided with Claro and Total Defense is awesome. Thank you.

Total Defense response

Thank you for your feedback Antonia!

Original review: July 17, 2018

He was very kind, and patient. He did a great job helping me renew my subscription! I appreciate such good customer service and I got it today with this gentleman. It is very common to be rushed off the phone these days, but I wasn't rushed off at all.

Total Defense response

Thank you for taking the time Joanne!

Original review: July 16, 2018

Asked for help. Given help instantly, excellent service, was told phone call will be returned when work is completed. When call back occurred, explanation was told as to work done. Asked if I was satisfied, yes and answered questions I asked. Excellent job!

Total Defense response

It was a pleasure to assist you Mary!

Original review: July 16, 2018

Gary has great customer service, very professional yet personable. Enjoyed speaking with him. He updated my account quickly. He also reassured me that if I needed further help he would be there to personally answer my questions. Thank you for your time. Blessings!

Total Defense response

Thank you for that great review Lori! It was my pleasure!

Original review: July 16, 2018

Tech was very helpful, very easy to renew and quick. Time on phone was very short and the tech was very good in explaining the renewal process, it took a very little time and I didn't have to wait long on getting them to answer phone call, every time I have called tech support they have been very helpful.

Total Defense response

Thanks Robert! Glad I could assist you!

Original review: July 12, 2018

Representative did a very wonderful job of assisting my needs. Was very friendly. She deserves 10 stars and a raise. I'm very please with Total Defense's services when I call in. Thank you rep. You did an awesome job. Keep up the awesome work.

Total Defense response

We appreciate your review Amber!

Original review: July 12, 2018

This security software was offered through Mediacom where I have an account. Daniel helped me get the service activated and was very helpful, polite and efficient. I truly appreciate that kind of tech support.

Thank you Kathy!

Original review: July 11, 2018

Spoke with Gary. Told him McAfee got downloaded somehow when I added Acrobat. He took care of everything by remote. He called me back so I didn't have to wait on the phone when he was done. I would recommend this service to anyone.

It was my pleasure Ken!

Original review: July 10, 2018

Last night I had a intrusion to my computer. A spammer. I call Total Defense to help. Daniel ** was a great help. It seems as if someone erased Total Defense from my computer. Daniel reestablished my coverage. I am extremely pleased with his service. Thank you!!

Total Defense response

Good to hear! Thanks Rosemary!

Original review: July 10, 2018

Customer service was excellent! Gary was clear speaking, patient and polite. My renewal was very quick and easy. I feel that customer service is extremely important in business yet it seems to be a dying art. It was very nice to speak to someone friendly and knowledgeable.

Total Defense response

Thank you for that awesome review Kult!

Original review: July 9, 2018

I had a scam on my computer that said I had a virus that would deactivate my computer and allow someone access to all my information unless I called a number for someone to "fix" it. I could not get rid of it even by turning off my computer. He (I think his name was Daniel) was able to solve the problem and was very helpful! I am very glad we bought Total Defense!! THANK YOU!!

Total Defense response

Thank you for taking the time Diana!

Original review: July 9, 2018

Gary was very professional and friendly. I like Total Defense because it does the job of protecting my laptop. I would recommend this product to family and friends. I have used other anti-virus protections, but will never go back them.

Total Defense response

Thank you for being a loyal customer Jeff!

Original review: July 9, 2018

Gary was extremely professional and competent and also very patient. My internet apparently kept going out and it took him much longer than it should have to uninstall and reinstall Total Defense. After numerous tries he was able to uninstall and reinstall Total Defense. He resolved the problem.

Total Defense response

I'm glad I was able to assist you Josephine!

Original review: July 6, 2018

I'm very happy with service I was provided, the representative was excellent. I needed help with my Total Defense installation. And I called Carlos and he helped a lot and he went through every detail of the software and explained every feature. I'm very satisfied with this service. Thank you Carlos!

Total Defense response

We appreciate your feedback Eliany!

Original review: July 6, 2018

I called to get help with my install. I purchased Unlimited from PC Richard. Gary helped me with my install and then helped me claim my rebate. Thank you to Total Defense for having a great support team! I will recommend Total Defense to my friends and family.

Total Defense response

Thank you for your great review Ahmad!

Original review: July 6, 2018

The customer representative was very helpful when dealing with my situation which was a difficult one. He was professional throughout the whole conversation we had on the phone. He is an asset to your company. He gave me some good news when he asked the rebate team. I was very happy.

Total Defense response

It was my pleasure to assist you Tony!

Original review: July 5, 2018

Dan was very friendly and efficient. Completed my renewal in no time. I was very satisfied in his experience, knowledge and friendliness. Will not hesitate to contact Total Defense again. I am completely satisfied! Thank you again!

Total Defense response

It was our pleasure to assist you Patricia!

Original review: July 5, 2018

Called to have my computer checked for possible malware/virus/ scam that popped up on screen. Checked for any installs and confirmed system was up to date and protected. Rep was very reassuring and knowledgeable. Very quick as well. I am fully satisfied with this program and service.

Total Defense response

Thanks for your review Rachel!

Original review: July 3, 2018

Resolving My Blockage with the Internet. Nick is very articulate and efficient. He walked me through a series of steps to resolve the blockage of the internet. Even though I was frustrated, he was was patient with me and got the job done. Thank You Nick!

Total Defense response

Thank you for your feedback Carmelo!

Original review: July 3, 2018

Your support staff Gary very helpful. He walked me step by step and kept me informed. Outstanding. Especially had bad experiences in past with other providers. There ARE many defense companies out there, but your support and understanding goes long way. I am definitely satisfied with the results. Keep up the great support. I would highly recommend your company.

Total Defense response

It was my pleasure to assist you Frank!

Original review: July 3, 2018

I will admit I wasn't originally a Total Defense customer. I was one of the other name brand customers. A funny thing happened, The place where I worked was running a rebate on the basic which made it free. I only had 3 months left on the other guys so I figured why not try TD. I was shocked to find my computer had been running with tracking software and a Trojan on it. The other guys just missed it. I have now been a customer of TD for 5 years. Just awesome product!

Total Defense response

Thanks for being a loyal customer Erick!

Total Defense expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Total Defense software protects your internet-connected devices from malware and viruses. It is a subscription service that you can renew annually for optimal protection, and the company guarantees results.

• Services: In addition to malware and virus protection, Total Defense also offers PC tuneups and online backup services.

• Protect all your devices: Total Defense can protect all of your internet-connected devices, like laptops, desktops, tablets and more. For $60 you can cover five devices for a year; if you need more coverage, you can always add it on.

• Free tech support: You can call the tech support or customer care line weekdays during business hours for help with downloading, installation, updates and more.

• Automatic renewal service: Total Defense automatically renews your service at the end of a year so you don’t have to go a day without protection. Of course, you can also cancel your service at any time.

• Virus-free guarantee: If a virus happens to slip through Total Defense’s protections, the company will remove it for free. If they can’t, you’ll get your money back. They also have a money-back guarantee if you aren’t happy with the service up to 60 days after your purchase.

• Best for: people with internet-connected devices and computers to protect from viruses and malware.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
Shelley Elmblad

Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Total Defense Company Information