4.9/5 (212 ratings)

About Total Defense

Total Defense has been a global leader in Internet security and anti-malware software since 1992. Total Defense products protect you, your family, and your PCs, Macs, Android tablets and smartphones against viruses, ransomware, and identity theft. Total Defense's friendly US-based technical support and customer care teams are committed to protecting consumers from the dangers of online threats everyday.

Total Defense Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Defense?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

TD support in enabling recovery of my Total Defense coverage. I was very nearly scammed by an intricate and clever ruse. Those parties gained access to my computer and actually transferred funds between our bank accounts. But was caught them just before they would have transferred $30K in funds to their own account.

Naturally we were concerned about our compromised bank accounts. After we secured those with the financial institutions. We next turned our intention to re-securing the computer. I hoped that Total Defense might be able to provide support, but wasn't sure. I called into TD and was connected with Laurie of the TD Tech Support. Laurie listened to my description of the situation thoughtfully, and quickly assured me that TD would help.

Laurie quickly identified that, when the scammer held control of my computer, he uninstalled our Total Defense capabilities. Laurie then patiently stepped me through the process of restoring Total Defense, as well as removing the software that the scammer had loaded on my laptop to gain control of it. Whereas it took many/hours or days to re-secure our financial accounts, Total Defense was able to restore our computer-based security in only 30-45 minutes. Of course, through the resourcefulness and professionalism in support from Laurie and the TD team, we've realized far more value than what we paid for our Total Defense subscription. Very much appreciated.

Total Defense response

Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with Total Defense is greatly appreciated.

Get buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

When I went to renew my subscription with Total Defense for the first time since I purchased it, upon checkout, an ICON appeared saying I had "Coupon Codes". I clicked on the first one that said: "WELCOME 25" The 2nd one simply said: "WELCOME". When I did that and clicked on "Checkout", it didn't take off anything on my order.

I called the "877" number that appeared on the website and spoke to Customer Service Representative, Lori **. She said she wasn't aware your company had never used coupon codes. However, to her credit, she refunded me $20 towards this renewal because I am a new customer. It was much appreciated as I am going through a rough time right now. Thank you for employing people like her, she is a credit to your company!

Total Defense response

Thank you for the review. We truly value your continued business and look forward to serving you in the future.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

I am Sr. Citizen & called & talked to Carlos. He was very kind & told me he would send email with link to download and make changes. I "think it worked". I didn't know that it was going to do something to the "old" laptop which already had Total Defense on it, but it is now fixing issues on that computer for T.D. so I hope I didn't do something wrong as just this morning it said I was fully protected. The download had me uninstall McAfee which came on the new computer. Thanks for caring for us old folks. Carlos said I could call him back if I had problem. The reason I didn't give 5 star is because everything is a little bit of a problem for me.

Total Defense response

Original review: March 2, 2022

Today I called because I had renewed my Total Defense online, but was still getting notices that I was unprotected. ** gave me clear directions on how to fix the issue, but she also went into my account. There, she saw that I had a subscription which had auto renewed, which I was unaware of. Along with the one I had renewed online, I was over covered. She looked at both. Asked me a few questions and quickly assessed my needs. She canceled the less appropriate one, assured me the other one was in effect, informed me I would receive a refund, and gave me simple instructions to follow so I could see it was activated (which worked by the way.) It was a delightful experience. Fast, efficient and friendly. She did a top notch job and this experience makes me want to stay with your company. Thank you **!

Total Defense response

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your Total Defense subscription renewal and look forward to serving you in the future.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

I received an automated call from VISA this morning with possible fraudulent activity from a Digital Store. I called VISA and while on the phone I used the email option to contact Total Defense for confirmation on the price. After finding out it was Total Defense from VISA there was already a response with the amount from Lori. I let VISA know this was an authorized charge and they said they flagged it so the next attempt would go through. Just as any fyi Total Defense tried twice. Exceptional service by Lori **. Imagine at this day and age I got a response most expeditiously, accurate information and all while still on the phone with VISA. Hoping the charge was able to be processed. Any questions you can reach out to me at **.

Total Defense response

Thanks, your feedback regarding your recent experiences with Total Defense is appreciated.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

Today I had the pleasure to speak to your representative, Dan, concerning automatic payments to my account. I am happy that I enrolled in the Total Defense program, but I cannot continue with automatic payments. I will continue to make payments, but I will do it via my email. Dan was very professional and pleasant to work with today. I will tell a friend.

Total Defense response

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

I purchased a new laptop and wasn't sure whether what options existed with my current license. Service was prompt with information and links to what was required for me to download the software. I was able to download the software which was inclusive of my current license. It also removed the existing anti-virus software which came with the laptop.

Total Defense response

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

Spoke with Dan twice and he was very patient and extremely professional. He talked me through the installation process and then helped me with a password reset issue. Hope to be able to claim a rebate for this Total Defense, Not used to working with Chromebooks but Laptops.

Total Defense response

Thank you for your feedback! We truly value your continued business and look forward to serving you in the future.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2023

Dan helped me get the correct screen on the computer so that I could download Total Defense. I was shocked when I looked on my up arrow and did not find Total Defense there. I recently had a new printed installed, Maybe that is when I lost Total Defense. Dan was very considerate as I am not that computer savvy. Thank you.

Total Defense response

Thanks, happy to hear you've experienced excellent service from our highly skilled technical support team.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

Agent was able to set me up right away to this warranty. Agent was very professional and courteous. She went above and beyond expectations. I wished all customer service agents could be as professional and courteous. Thank you.

Total Defense response

Thanks for the wonderful rating. Glad our customer care team could help.

Total Defense author review by Shelley Elmblad

Total Defense software protects your internet-connected devices from malware and viruses. It is a subscription service that you can renew annually for optimal protection, and the company guarantees results.

• Services: In addition to malware and virus protection, Total Defense also offers PC tuneups and online backup services.

• Protect all your devices: Total Defense can protect all of your internet-connected devices, like laptops, desktops, tablets and more. For $60 you can cover five devices for a year; if you need more coverage, you can always add it on.

• Free tech support: You can call the tech support or customer care line weekdays during business hours for help with downloading, installation, updates and more.

• Automatic renewal service: Total Defense automatically renews your service at the end of a year so you don’t have to go a day without protection. Of course, you can also cancel your service at any time.

• Virus-free guarantee: If a virus happens to slip through Total Defense’s protections, the company will remove it for free. If they can’t, you’ll get your money back. They also have a money-back guarantee if you aren’t happy with the service up to 60 days after your purchase.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Advisor

Shelley Elmblad is a writer with years of experience covering small business, mobile apps, personal finance and tax software. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Total Defense Company Information