4.95/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Total Defense

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Total Defense has been a global leader in Internet security and anti-malware software since 1992. Total Defense products protect you, your family, and your PCs, Macs, Android tablets and smartphones against viruses, ransomware, and identity theft. Total Defense's friendly US-based technical support and customer care teams are committed to protecting consumers from the dangers of online threats everyday.

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 19, 2017

55 Total Defense Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

First and foremost, I don't ever take the time to fill out a review about my phone experience like the company ask me to do. However, this call was above and beyond my satisfaction. Lori ** was extremely helpful and patient with me! She was very thorough from beginning to end of the call. She also made me feel very comfortable as she had to connect remotely to my computer. I had a lot of questions, in which she patiently answered very complete and persist. I would like to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH to Total Defense and more importantly to Lori ** for your assistance and help today!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Lori at Total Defense Cust Svc was extremely professional and congenial, assisting me with my renewal. Her handling of my issues, removed the stress of it. If all of your cust svc agents handle your customers as well as Lori, you will always have customer loyalty and return business. Not to mention "word of mouth" - Testimonials. Thank You.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Total Defense customer engineer, Felix, provided me with prompt and expert support, and quickly solved my installation problem. He was patient, polite and persistent - all I could have wished for from a customer support engineer. He is truly the kind of back-up support person that develops customer allegiance from inexpert computer users like myself.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

My customer service rep was named Gary... He did an amazing job answering my questions about renewing my yearly subscription to Total Defense... It took just a few minutes to assure me that my computer was fully protected, and that I had nothing to worry about... As a senior citizen, he (and Total Defense) made me feel confident about my coverage. Well done!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Lori ** saved my day, she was so helpful.. I wish I lived by her. Made my day - professional and a bright spot. Will never forget her. I love PC tune up and just purchased anti virus with Lori's help.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Defense?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

My experience with the Total Defense Antivirus Software has been exceptional on both my kids' windows laptops. My local PC Richards retailer where I bought my laptops highly recommended Total Defense for antivirus protection. I decided to purchase it as it came with a rebate and I could not be more pleased with the performance. It does not appear to slow down the laptops speed as other big box antivirus names has in the past. The best feature is the parental controls in my opinion. I can set restrictions on my children's laptops and allow certain websites domains like Minecraft for my son. I get automatic email alerts if they try to access social media sites or other non appropriate content based on the age settings or content selection checkbox options. Summary reports also get emailed to me weekly and the automatic antivirus updates are transparent. I would highly recommend Total Defense to my friends and family!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Tech support helped me set up Total Defense on my computer. When it was time for renewal, they extended me approx. one week before I had enough money in my bank to cover my next year subscription. Feel really protected with Total Defense.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I have purchased many software programs to repair my computer in the past, but this application is awesome. I run it every time those guys in Seattle decide to push out security updates. TDS is an awesome software tool that keeps my older computer operating at peak performance. I couldn't believe the performance difference! You could actually see it!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Total Defense is amazing. I use several of their products and have for years. They have stopped computer issues prior to problems and have been better than their competitors. The best defense on my computers I have used to date, period! I highly recommend their products!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

There have not been any incidents since installing this product on my computer. Protects as promised, and I highly recommend Total Defense over the other leading software that is available. Staples introduced me to Total Defense, and I plan on renewing!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Every time that I have contacted customer service I have found them to be courteous, friendly and best of all, easy to understand. I have yet to hang up with my problem unresolved. The software is very user friendly. After setting up the scan, maintenance and update schedules the program can be hands free with Total Defense protecting my computer in the background. I have used Total Defense for 3 years and I’m totally satisfied with it.

Total Defense response

Thanks for your feedback on our support team, Kathy!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

It is better than any other one I had tried. Best for business and protection for your information. I really appreciate that you help and have helpful representatives. They are very nice people who are willing to help and do their best to help.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Total Defense works with you and your computer, like a silent partner, not slowing it down or otherwise competing for attention. In 3 years with using this product I am happy to say, that so far, I have not experienced a virus or malware issue.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Lori was able to complete my renewal transaction as I was unable to do so on my iPad. She was very professional and timely in her responses. She reviewed my contract and was able to complete what I had not been able to do at home. She then went over the data again to make sure all was correct. She then emailed me about the transaction.

Total Defense response

Thank you for the feedback you provided on the support you received when calling into our support team!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Since I have signed up with Total Defense I have had no problems with my computer. I feel it protects and defends me from getting unwanted stuff that causes major problems. I highly recommend this service for protecting your computer.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I have several occasions where Total Defense has advised against opening an email or a web page - which I chose not to open - and then later hear that some of my friends received malware because their computer software did not protect them. I keep recommending Total Defense. I'm a believer.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Upgrade to new product/AV issue - I have had to contact Total Defense support with issues several times over the years including a virus. They don't quit until they can resolve your issue, very knowledgeable, customer friendly, responsive and respectful. Their products have been serving our family with satisfaction for many years.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I am loving this product. It protects up to five of my devices in my home. We have never had any virus or malware problems since using this product. I am very please to say I am using for my second year and will continue to use and will also suggest to friends and family.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

My experience with Lori a representative/technical support adviser was extraordinary. She was well informed and knowledgeable about the total defense operation. She knew what questions to ask me to assist me with my issue in order to get it resolved. Lori helped resolve my issue in a timely fashion and was very courteous. Her ability to navigate me through the system gave me confidence in utilizing Total Defense as my MAIN "Total Defense" to protect my devices.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I had to renew my subscription to Total Defense and had an issue because of residual files left on my computer. One easy phone call to TD was all it took!!! I didn't have to wait on the phone for a long time and my Agent was soooo nice and very helpful!! Thanks Total Defense for having my back!!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Not only did I just renew this great product, I had a great experience with customer service in particular with Lori **. She was patient, friendly and helpful with me so I understood my product and billing. Lori is a great asset to Total Defense. Thanks Lori, you’re the best!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

I researched online, checked the different companies out, liked what I read from Total Defense and have been with them ever since. I’ve been with them since 2013 when I bought my desktop. I liked that I could purchase their product online and they didn’t have any extras which they tried to get money out of me for. It was their product and only their product. I have the unlimited internet security and it’s for $79.99 a year, which is an excellent price. It’s protected my computer and it lets me know when there’s something wrong. I’ve only had to call their team twice. The first time was when my subscription wouldn’t renew online. The other time was a week ago. I had an alert come up which said that my computer wasn’t secured, that the product needed updating, but it wouldn’t let me do it. Their tech fixed the problem within seconds, though.

If you don’t have anything on your computer, get Total Defense because it’s an excellent service and they always get back to you right away if you send them a message. When purchasing, just follow the directions and make sure to write down your key once you’ve subscribed and punch that key in and it does everything else for you. Overall, their people are very polite and they go out of their way to help. I’d recommend them to anybody.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Thanks to your product for the protection of my PC. With so much deceitfulness happening in today's day and age, it is wonderful to have a product that is dependable. I am not technologically inclined, so I depend on your technicians for any questions or issues that I encounter.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

After several attempts I was unable to complete the installation. So I Called Customer Support. A very nice and competent man spent the necessary time to solve the problem and complete the installation. He was professional, well mannered and very competent.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

The product is quality. I used to be a Firedog technician at Circuit City, and have experience with nearly all AV software there is. As such, I have had at least one, albeit even small, complaint about each software. For a long time I personally settled on Webroot, but finally ran into issues with the firewall and saw a few malware slip through. I have ZERO complaints after years of using Total Defense. I have never had a single thing slip through nor have I had any glitches.

The only recommendation I would give to the developers is make it more gamer friendly as, albeit rarely, I have had the software interrupt a game. The only other possible feature addition I would like to see is a SSD mode for the tune up software to avoid superfluous defragmentations on these drives. However, this is well above and beyond as the software is already fantastic! I love the 3-year subscription option and the large number of licenses for the ultimate edition - which is not very well marketed, but a pleasant surprise - so to cover all of my devices!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I have had 360 for years and when my computer went down with driver issues I was forced to get a new computer. With the new computer came Total Defense as part of the package. With 360 I would have to spend more money for a separate malware program. With Total Defense it came with the package. So I did not have to spend any extra money like an extra 100 dollars for a malware product. I thank Total Defense for putting in the extra mile in their product, and look forward to many years of use.

Total Defense response

This is valuable feedback, Gordon. Thanks so much!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Always rec'd a quick response from customer service, I've had Total Defense for a long time and it works great, update are great, and it doesnt slow my pc down at all, not a memory hog. Easy to use. Would recommend it to anyone, I have it on three different devices.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I have called the help desk several times. They will sign onto the computer and help with many tasks. Very nice and helpful on every occasion. I would recommend to anyone looking for a good Virus Protect and PC Tune Up.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I love this security program. It scans automatically and give a report of what was scanned and any problems that were found. I think this is the best program for security I have ever had. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a security program for their computer.

Total Defense response

Great to hear! Thanks, Dave!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I enjoy the features the safety program gives, and the thorough scanning it provides. I love how you can use it to guard your child's online experiences. The parental features are more direct in keeping your child's internet experience limited, but also giving them the range they need to do certain school assignments.

Total Defense response

Thank you for providing your feedback on our parental controls feature. Much appreciated!

Total Defense Company Information