Call toll free
4.96/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Total Defense has been a global leader in Internet security and anti-malware software since 1992. Total Defense products protect you, your family, and your PCs, Macs, Android tablets and smartphones against viruses, ransomware, and identity theft. Total Defense's friendly US-based technical support and customer care teams are committed to protecting consumers from the dangers of online threats everyday.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1010 Total Defense Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 25, 2019

Taylor ** removed the scammers and tested for problems. He was clear and helpful. I will know what to do if this happens again. We hung up so he could fix the problem, and he called back in 15 minutes once the problem was fixed.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 25, 2019

Love Total Defense unlimited security. Appreciate the quick and effective response from Dan **. A happy customer. I have been a Total Defense customer for many years. I run it on two computers and it works well. Hopefully I will remain a satisfied customer for years to come!

Original review: March 25, 2019

My experience was great. Daniel was amazing. I am not much on computers and Daniel helped me out so much. If I ever have any problems again I am hoping that I can work with him. He has excellent skills he deserves a big raise.

Original review: March 23, 2019

The service via telephone was excellent. The representative immediately understood the problem, which was fairly simple, and was able to take steps to resolve it quickly. He was polite and friendly. Also, the call was answered promptly with time on hold.

Total Defense response

Thank you for your feedback Gary!

Original review: March 23, 2019

I could not renew my subscription on line. I use it weekly. The phone was answered promptly with no argument with the computer directing me to my help. Your representative was cheerful and patient listening to me recite my difficulties in renewing on line. Taylor easily connected the remote control of my computer and gave instructions that were easy to follow. That fixed everything! He explained automatic renewal was often denied by American Express. Another card fixed that. Now I have 2 years not worrying about my computer's health.

Total Defense response

We always like to hear from our customers Benita!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Defense?

Original review: March 22, 2019

Your personnel very helpful. Took over computer. Nice. But no difference with Total Defense. Still very, very slow. It has been on for about two hours and is at 1.49 %. Computer is only 6 mo old. I have no idea what else to say. It would be nice is total defense worked properly.

Total Defense response

We appreciate your feedback Dan!

Original review: March 22, 2019

Lori gave me detailed instructions for installing TD on my husbands computer and on my android phone. What is usually a very frustrating experience for me turned out to be a very positive one. I will be happy to recommend TD to people I know in the future. Thanks Lori!!

Awesome! Thanks Claudia!

Original review: March 22, 2019

A problem occurred with payment. This was quickly resolved by your agents. Pity I had to wait up 'til 2300 hours due to time zone. On the plus side your support is in the States not India or the Philippines.

Glad to hear it George!

Original review: March 21, 2019

The technician was professional, kind, patient and helped solve my technical problems. I didn't understand the issues from not being able to finish the renewal process. Once I had purchased the renewal package in February of this year everything was handled in a timely manner.

Total Defense response

Thank you for your feedback Yvonne!

Original review: March 21, 2019

I called Total Defense because I had an issue with my rebate and DANIEL was so friendly, took care of the issue within minutes and made everything so easy for me. When I first got my laptop I called for help installing the program and again the guy was super helpful. Great team, would def recommend.

Total Defense response

Thank you for your time Mariely!

Original review: March 21, 2019

The technician was very helpful and my problem was resolved promptly. This is a very good program. This is my first time using it and I will recommend it to my friends. He was very polite and friendly. I have called for assistance twice and each time the issue was resolved. I am very satisfied with the product.

Total Defense response

We appreciate your feedback Brenda!

Original review: March 20, 2019

I wasn't sure about Total Defense but thought I would give it a try. Three times I had problems beyond my knowledge. Each time I was helped by a Technician who was extremely patient and resolved my problem. I would have taken it to a shop for $100 each time. Haven't had any viruses and did my own tuneup. Well worth the money.

Glad to hear it Sandra!

Original review: March 20, 2019

The two guys that helped me set up the Total Defense on my computer was very nice, had patience with me because I did not know what the heck I was doing and they very good at what they do. They need a raise. Would you please just think about it. Yall be blessed.

Total Defense response

Thank you for your great feedback Betty!

Original review: March 20, 2019

Taylor was able to help me in seconds. A few clicks here and there and my renewal was back in business. He was able to use the team viewer and see exactly what the problem was. Checked and tested ok. Thank you Taylor.

Total Defense response

We appreciate your time Richard!

Original review: March 19, 2019

Had an issue with the Auto-renew option, but I phoned Total Defense and Daniel sorted everything out, taking remote control of my desktop and uninstalling the old version and installing the new. The only improvement I'd recommend is extending the support hours. I'm based in Australia.

Total Defense response

Always great to hear from our customers. Thanks Dennis!

Original review: March 19, 2019

Rep Lori ** - She was so timely. She made my experience so smooth. Even tho I wasn't prepared for the question nor did I have all the necessary information she took her time with me and exercise great patience with me. I greatly appreciate your service. Thank you Lori ** for helping me today.

Total Defense response

Many thanks for your feedback Tawanna!

Original review: March 19, 2019

Computer was locked up. Mr. T. ** was amazing, patient, kind and described everything he was doing. Gave me pointers on a few things, He was courteous. Wish I had this type of customers in all aspects of business. This is the 1st time I've had to call. No wait time on phone. Awesome customer service!

Total Defense response

Glad we were able to assist. Thanks Constance!

Original review: March 18, 2019

Numerous TD scans of my PC revealed the presence of a Trojan GenericKD 31771018 virus. I tried many scan combinations to no avail and was very concerned. I contacted TD Support by email (Ticket #**) and after a few emails I finally called TD by phone late on Monday night Australian time 18th March and spoke to Lori ** who provided information as related to Outlook likely being the area of my PC where the virus was residing. She was very professional in her assistance and gave me much confidence in that the problem was not catastrophic since TD was scanning and cleaning continuously. All so far so thanks to TD support.

Glad to hear it Ron!

Original review: March 18, 2019

Taylor was great and helped me so much. He fixed both issues I had and helped me get my anti-virus software downloaded. I had issues with my activation code and he was able to come into my computer and fix the issue and get it started.

Total Defense response

We appreciate your time Kelcie!

Original review: March 18, 2019

Taylor helped with processing my renewal that lapsed. He indicated he would call me back in 15 minutes referring to my discount price of 39.99 which popped up on my computer screen. He was very polite and efficient. He called back in the timeframe he indicated.

Total Defense response

Thank you for your feedback Pamela!

Original review: March 17, 2019

Updating credit card information for renewal - It was a very pleasant experience. Thank you, Taylor, for all your quick and efficient assistance. As a senior citizen, I have to rely on the help of those much younger than me to keep my computer and personal information safe. You've done an excellent job.

Total Defense response

Thank you Angie for taking the time!

Original review: March 15, 2019

Taylor was very helpful and understood what I was explaining to him. I just called the Total Defense Rebate number because you can't email them when it says no reply in the email spot. I found that out when I ask my daughter why it didn't go through when I explained my situation with the rebate. That called for a laugh right there cause when you don't know much about computer technology you got to laugh about it. So thank you Taylor for your help. You're a good worker.

Total Defense response

We love to hear from our customers. Thank you Debbie!

Original review: March 15, 2019

The service guy was awesome, very helpful and informant. Would give more than five stars if I could. Will recommend to all my friends and family. Was willing to take the time to explain and show how to do everything step by step.

Total Defense response

Thank you Randy! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback!

Original review: March 15, 2019

It was noted I was without virus protection recently even tho I had paid the subscription. I called your number and Gary was very helpful in getting me back on track. He was efficient, and explained the process, keeping in touch by phone as he progressed. I appreciate the ease with which everything was handled. Thank you.

Total Defense response

We're delighted that you are pleased with our support Judy!

Original review: March 15, 2019

Taylor provided exceptional and friendly customer service. He was professional and knowledgeable. My renewal easier than the online process. I appreciate his ability to make this transaction quick and his ability to answer my questions. I will continue to use your product. Thank You Taylor!

Total Defense response

Always great to hear from our customers. Thanks Theressa!

Original review: March 15, 2019

The associate quickly resolved my request to renew my subscription to Total Defense. I choose to have an annual renewal for my subscription to Total Defense rather than an "ever green" option. This is all I have to say in this lengthy description.

Total Defense response

Great feedback Bob! We genuinely appreciate it!

Original review: March 14, 2019

Great customer service. Gary exceeded my expectations with kindness, patience and resolutions to my problems. He stayed on the phone walking me through everything I needed to do as I am technologically challenged at times. I appreciate him so much. An asset to your company. Thank you so much Gary.

Total Defense response

Many thanks for your feedback Alicia!

Original review: March 14, 2019

Recurring message that my computer is not protected. Immediate response to my call by a person was a great plus. Taylor ** uninstalled and reinstalled the product I supposed to have had (total protection) for my computer. Answer was quick, all I had to do was watch him do it.

Total Defense response

Thanks Armando! That's great to hear!

Original review: March 14, 2019

Transfer one subscription from old computer to new one. Taylor ** was knowledgeable and helpful!! I had a terrible time figuring out how to do that. Taylor got me thru it w/ a minimum of hassle and a LOT of patience!! Taylor used the "Remote" control function of my computer and checked my incompetence. All seemed good.

Total Defense response

Much appreciated. Thanks Dave!

Original review: March 14, 2019

Great experience with support that was provided. The service provided by your tech was very fast and efficient. He installed the software for me, answered all of my questions, and was able to solve all my issues. The tech was very professional and polite, and made sure I was satisfied with the outcome of our session before he ended the session.

Total Defense response

Glad we were able to assist. Thanks Chaisty!

Total Defense expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Total Defense software protects your internet-connected devices from malware and viruses. It is a subscription service that you can renew annually for optimal protection, and the company guarantees results.

• Services: In addition to malware and virus protection, Total Defense also offers PC tuneups and online backup services.

• Protect all your devices: Total Defense can protect all of your internet-connected devices, like laptops, desktops, tablets and more. For $60 you can cover five devices for a year; if you need more coverage, you can always add it on.

• Free tech support: You can call the tech support or customer care line weekdays during business hours for help with downloading, installation, updates and more.

• Automatic renewal service: Total Defense automatically renews your service at the end of a year so you don’t have to go a day without protection. Of course, you can also cancel your service at any time.

• Virus-free guarantee: If a virus happens to slip through Total Defense’s protections, the company will remove it for free. If they can’t, you’ll get your money back. They also have a money-back guarantee if you aren’t happy with the service up to 60 days after your purchase.

• Best for: people with internet-connected devices and computers to protect from viruses and malware.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Total Defense Company Information