Call toll free
4.96/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Total Defense has been a global leader in Internet security and anti-malware software since 1992. Total Defense products protect you, your family, and your PCs, Macs, Android tablets and smartphones against viruses, ransomware, and identity theft. Total Defense's friendly US-based technical support and customer care teams are committed to protecting consumers from the dangers of online threats everyday.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1138 Total Defense Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 20, 2019

I contacted by email and a follow up phone call and got connected to Dan **. I further explained my problem and things I did not understand like pressing fix now in one section would create an outcome in 3 others and how come it backed up all my files to the cloud. At this point Dan asked me a few questions and from that he was able to tell me about this new suite, upgraded 1week ago and all things relevant to keeping our computer safe and importantly how to access the cloud if need be. I went from a guy in panic to feeling soothed by his ability, the way he went about explaining things with his very calming approach. This guy is an absolute asset to you as he was to me in attending to our concerns. Thanks Dan and Total Defense 10 plus years with you. An Email a phone call and all fixed in 10 minutes and we are in Melbourne Australia. Thank you all Billie **.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Customer Care and Technical Support Associates are courteous and prompt, thorough, professional and ready to tackle any issue. I am appreciative of the substantive response to my questions. As a discerning adult, I am always careful online, and I feel secure knowing this company strives to provide the very best in computer protection. Overall, I believe this product is a great value.

Total Defense response

Thanks again Evelyn for your awesome review!

Original review: March 4, 2019

Good Day All! My name is Kenyatta and I recently completed a call concerning a refund for making an additional purchase by mistake. I made a mistake also with the young man's name and said his name is 'Tyler' and I have learned that his name is Taylor! I am sorry Taylor because I do not like my name to be mispronounced! I won't forget you because that is my child's name too! I connected with him at approximately 10:35 a.m today. I do not normally take time out to do surveys. However, when someone has done a well or exceptional job I try to tell them or the subordinate at the time. Surveys take time that I do not want to commit to; and I do not usually complete them. I want to take the time to say that Good and Solid Customer Service to the people these days is few, far, and in between; and even sometimes slim to none!

This is why I am able to say Taylor provided that Good and Solid Customer Service today and I appreciate it! I want The Total Defense Company to be aware of this matter. My call was brief but handled well. I appreciate Taylor for providing service to me today. Please be sure to acknowledge Taylor concerning this matter. Also, whenever your employees are representing the company in an appropriate manner. I told Taylor I know everyone in the world is going through something (challenging) in their personal life. Total Defense please remember when individuals can put themselves aside for the time being at their jobs to assist or help others: give the credit when it is due! Give the person their flowers while they can STILL smell them! God is good ALL the time; and ALL the time God is good!!! Thank you again for time concerning my expression. Thank you for all of your help today Taylor! Goodbye!!!

Total Defense response

Thank you for your feedback Kenyatta!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I called your customer support number yesterday to seek some clarification on my renewal. I've been a customer for several years but this was my first call/contact. I was so impressed with the gentleman who answered my call, Gary **, that I felt I must share my experience. He answered with the most welcoming, kind voice, I felt I could see his smile through the ethers, he listened carefully to my question, pulled up my account and answered my questions quickly, clearly. I was so pleased with his response, his kindness and hint of wit which I so appreciated.

His kindness, knowledge, manner of responding to me gave me confidence in your company that you truly care about your customers and their concerns. Gary ** exhibited, demonstrated excellence in customer relations in every respect. He truly is a role model for other employees, companies to emulate. His knowledge, kindness, personality and manner are second to none. I am a most happy "Total Defense" customer, have been for the past years, but my first contact with a question for Mr. **, has made me an even happier customer. Mr. ** should be commended for his excellent, second to none, customer service. Thank you Gary!

Total Defense response

Great to hear! Thanks Dale!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

After struggling with the installation of this service and speaking with several of the customer service representatives I walked away from the process for several days. This morning Sept. 26 I again started to try and install this wonderful looking service. I called the customer service line and to my great surprise I got a tremendously experienced representative. He was very friendly and very professional all at the same time. I explained my concern and he apologized for my difficulties with the installation. He was very precise with the instructions on how to go from start and get my system set up. Within less than 10 minutes we had the system up and protecting my desktop system, something that I had been struggling with for two days and nights.

This service rep was amazing, it felt like he was looking over my shoulder and could anticipate any mistakes I was about to make. I really appreciate the quickness in which he was able to direct me in the installation process; this gentleman deserves a great big " atta boy" and in my opinion is a shining star at your organization. Thank You all so very much.

Total Defense response

We always like to hear from our customers Robert!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Defense?

Original review: May 24, 2019

Excellent service from the beginning. Realize how inept I was with my computer skills. They were extremely helpful. Installation went smooth after they remoted in. Also helped claiming my rebate. I would refer this service to my friends and family.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I am not computer literate. Taylor installed my Premium Total Defense internet security package for me. He is very knowledgeable & very helpful. He did an excellent job for me. He is also very courteous. I would recommend him to assist any of my friends.

Original review: May 22, 2019

After I downloaded and activated the file, I was told my account was expired 708 days. Called your support line and Taylor worked with my computer to clear up the error. Now I have to work on my second computer. Fingers crossed!

Original review: May 21, 2019

Mr. ** was outstanding in assisting me with installing my internet security. Would refer him to any of my friends if needed with assisting with the Total Defense Internet Security. He was able to connect to my computer and make the process very easy!

Original review: May 21, 2019

Could not hook up printer. Infection in network. They went into computer and took care of four threats and some viruses. Mr. ** went through both laptops and cleaned them up. Thanks again for everything. Hopefully I can hook my printer up now.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Great customer service! I Did not have to wait long and he was very nice and patient. Highly Recommend not only for internet security but being able to speak with someone so promptly was fantastic. Thank you very much for the help today.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Lori ** is great. I called with questions regarding my two separate subscriptions and wondered if it was a good idea to combine them into the Ultimate product. She understood my questions and lead me to the right answer regarding the renewal of my various subscriptions. Thank YOU!!

Total Defense response

We're delighted that you are pleased with our support Steve!

Original review: May 17, 2019

I had to reset my computer to factory settings. I called to have my Total Defense reinstalled. There was no waiting on hold. I got right through and spoke to Gary. He was able to reinstall my software in no time. Very impressed with your service. I wish all companies were this efficient.

Total Defense response

We love to hear from our customers. Thanks Mark for your feedback!

Original review: May 17, 2019

Daniel ** was a great help. I could not renew online so I had to call in. When I told Daniel what I wanted, he told me that it was not the same plan that I was renewing. The one I had prior was only going to be $29.99. This was $50.00 less. This saved me and gave me a discount so I really really appreciate it. Thank You for your help. Thank You for your product.

Total Defense response

Great feedback Sherian! We genuinely appreciate it!

Original review: May 17, 2019

I was reordering my Total Defense contract and I was very pleased with the way my questions were handled. The rep. walked me through the process very professionally. His instructions were clear and easy to follow.

Total Defense response

Many thanks for your feedback Barb!

Original review: May 17, 2019

I recently purchased an new Unlimited subscription, but I was still receiving messages on my screen that I needed to renew my subscription. I found this to be confusing. I called for support and your tech Gary said that I needed to activate my new subscription. He took care of everything, including installing the latest product version. Thank you for the great help.

Total Defense response

Thanks Kathy! That's great to hear!

Original review: May 16, 2019

I had an issue with my computer and they were easily able to fix issue less than 10 minutes. They were able to handle the issue from their computer screen. Customer service was excellent and able to help with the process. I would and will recommend in the future.

Total Defense response

Glad we were able to assist. Thanks Ray!

Original review: May 16, 2019

Called as I had a problem with my new anti virus. Taylor was Very knowledgable and friendly associate... Seemed to know what he was doing and explained what he was doing and why. Offered assistance on any thing at any time in the future and thanked me.

Total Defense response

Glad we were able to assist you George!

Original review: May 16, 2019

I would just like to let someone know about the great service that was provided to me by your support rep Gary. I have dealt with many customer reps in the past. Gary was very kind, polite, and it was nice to speak to someone who clearly speaks English. Thank you for the great help.

Total Defense response

We appreciate your feedback Ray!

Original review: May 15, 2019

Problems Activating Subscriptions - Worked with tech support Taylor **. He re-installed the virus software and activated it on our laptop (ELLEMIKE). He also had to un-install and clean up the TD virus software on our desktop (OWNER-HP) and re-install the virus software. Very professional and efficient.

Total Defense response

We appreciate your time Michael!

Original review: May 15, 2019

David ** assisted me today in locating and installing my Total Defense software in a very professional and friendly manner. I would recommend Total Defense and David to anyone desiring computer defense software. I have used Total Defense on my laptop for many years and have yet to be bothered with virus or malware problems.

Total Defense response

Much appreciated. Thanks Hugh!

Original review: May 15, 2019

Dan,"the man" helped me a great deal. He helped me through the renewal process as I ran from the phone to my computer. I found him very knowledgeable and patient. As an old man I need patience. I don't have a cell phone so he had to direct me as I ran from computer to phone.

Total Defense response

Many thanks for your feedback Charles!

Original review: May 15, 2019

I have been a loyal Total Defense customer. I had a special offer to renew my Unlimited subscription for 2 years. I tried to renew it on my own, but I was not successful. I am not very computer savvy. I was able to call in for support after locating your number on the website. Gary was able to help me get my renewal done and he also installed a newer version of the product, since I was running an older version. Great help was provided to me.

Total Defense response

Thanks Edward! That's great to hear!

Original review: May 15, 2019

I would just like to say that I am very impressed with the quality of service I received from your company. Previously, I used McAfee and their service team was non-existent. I called for help activating my Unlimited product purchased from Conn's and Gary was extremely nice and helped me resolve the issue in no time. Super service!

Total Defense response

Much appreciated. Thanks Maria!

Original review: May 15, 2019

For an unknown reason we had to reinstall our Total Defense security. I was at work trying to communicate with messages, and forward responses to my husband, in the end my husband called and we got the issue fixed. Everyone was so understanding and helpful! I have been with you for several years, this was the first glitch we ever had. I plan on continued services with the Total Defense team.

Total Defense response

Glad we were able to assist. Thanks Linda!

Original review: May 14, 2019

Gary did a wonderful job installing my software. He was fast and courteous. He was also friendly and made sure that I knew what he was doing as he went along. I am very happy with the support I received and would recommend Total Defense to my friends and family.

Total Defense response

We appreciate your feedback Debbie!

Original review: May 14, 2019

I wasn't able to download the antivirus and Daniel helped me to do it. He was very patient with me and took me through. He did a good job. Now my antivirus is working. I'm very happy and grateful to him. Well done Daniel.

Total Defense response

Awesome! Thank you Gladys!

Original review: May 14, 2019

This was indeed a pleasant experience dealing with Dan. I did not, or recall my password, but I was able to renew in a matter of a few minutes. I would most certainly recommend this product/service to others. Again, thanks a million.

Glad to hear it Ernest!

Original review: May 14, 2019

I purchased a Premium subscription from Aaron's. I needed help with the install and called for support. I tried to install it myself with no luck. Gary was very helpful. He was able to explain the program to me and help get it installed. Thanks again!

Total Defense response

We always like to hear from our customers Charity!

Original review: May 14, 2019

I just talked with Total Defense support. I had an old laptop that I wanted to add my protection to. Your rep Gary was extremely helpful. I have had Kaspersky in the past but their service was horrible and the support was non-existent. When I called Total Defense there was no waiting on hold. I will definitely recommend Total Defense to my friends.

Total Defense response

We appreciate your feedback Roberto!

Total Defense expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Total Defense software protects your internet-connected devices from malware and viruses. It is a subscription service that you can renew annually for optimal protection, and the company guarantees results.

• Services: In addition to malware and virus protection, Total Defense also offers PC tuneups and online backup services.

• Protect all your devices: Total Defense can protect all of your internet-connected devices, like laptops, desktops, tablets and more. For $60 you can cover five devices for a year; if you need more coverage, you can always add it on.

• Free tech support: You can call the tech support or customer care line weekdays during business hours for help with downloading, installation, updates and more.

• Automatic renewal service: Total Defense automatically renews your service at the end of a year so you don’t have to go a day without protection. Of course, you can also cancel your service at any time.

• Virus-free guarantee: If a virus happens to slip through Total Defense’s protections, the company will remove it for free. If they can’t, you’ll get your money back. They also have a money-back guarantee if you aren’t happy with the service up to 60 days after your purchase.

• Best for: people with internet-connected devices and computers to protect from viruses and malware.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Total Defense Company Information