Call toll free
4.97/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Total Defense has been a global leader in Internet security and anti-malware software since 1992. Total Defense products protect you, your family, and your PCs, Macs, Android tablets and smartphones against viruses, ransomware, and identity theft. Total Defense's friendly US-based technical support and customer care teams are committed to protecting consumers from the dangers of online threats everyday.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

548 Total Defense Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I called about some downloading issues I was having on my new laptop. The customer service was great! My issues were resolved. If I ever have problems in the future I will not hesitate to give them a call, they are very helpful. Thank you so much for taking the time to fix my downloading and installation issues.

Total Defense response

We appreciate your feedback Cristina!

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Hell of a nice guy, especially for putting up with a dumb carpenter who is pretending to be a computer expert! It is good to know there is a still a company that provides tech support in a positive manner and doesn't make we customers feel like dopes. Kudos to Gary.

Total Defense response

Glad we were able to assist. Thanks David!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Gary was excellent! He got me installed right away and he called me back when he said that he would. I am looking forward to using Total Defense for many years to come if the service is this good. I will tell my friends and family to use Total Defense!

Awesome! Thanks Joseph!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Mr. Carlos was great with me. He explain all the process and I can resolved all my problems with the installation inter net security and the revated. Carlos explain to me very fast and didactic; with his help everything was easy and understanding. Thanks Carlos!

Total Defense response

We appreciate your feedback Damaso!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I thought I was in my Amazon web page trying to hook up my amazon fire stick so I called for help to install it but it got to suspicious and they told me all kinds of things my computer was hacked, but then I realized and called you guys and Total Defense fixed everything.

Total Defense response

We're delighted that you are pleased with our support Karen!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Defense?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Gary was very helpful and solved my problem very fast and efficiently. The steps he gave me were very easy and precise. It was an overall great and quick experience. I look forward to calling again. This is my first time using this company's products and I'm loving it so far.

Total Defense response

Glad we could assist you Gabriel!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Troy, was so very helpful to me. My computer had lots of issues that I didn't know about. I explained it to him much as I could, and he got the job done. Now I'm up and running very smooth, thank you so much.

Total Defense response

Great to hear! Thanks Annette!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Great technician, helped me completely with my uninstall of my other software and download new Total Defense on the laptop. Dan helped me answer all my questions about the service and was very knowlegeable about the software. I tried doing this by myself and had issues on my own. I couldn't do it without the help of Dan.

Total Defense response

Thank you Bernadette for your feedback!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

My phone call was answered promptly and courteously. My update information was quickly taken care of, and I received an immediate response verifying this via email. I wish all my calls to other companies were handled as well. I am very pleased with this service.

Total Defense response

We always like to hear from our customers Anne! Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Gary is very pleasant and friendly. When I first called I thought I would be on hold for a while but I was not. Gary was American and I could understand him clearly. He is very helpful and we got straight to the issue.

Awesome! Thanks Paula!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Technician Daniel ** resolved my several problems and helped me install the Total Defense program. I was completely frustrated attempting it on my own. He resolved the matter completely to my satisfaction. This was important because I am not technically inclined but must use a computer in my work as an unpaid first responder in animal disaster response for Nassau County, NY.

Total Defense response

Thank you Beverly for taking the time!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Gary ** was very helpful in assisting me in my new application for total defense. He very courteous, knowledgeable in explaining Total Defense. He gave me a superior overview of Total Defense security for my laptop and desktop computer in laymen terms. I had no problem in understanding what to look for with security and what action I should take immediately by calling total Defense. Have one of their experts to do a full scan and resolved the issue. I can always look forward to Gary to give me full details of his finding and to resolve the issue.

Total Defense response

We're delighted that you are pleased with our support Gerald!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

My Total Defense Antivirus renewed successfully on my credit card but was asking me for a 7 digit alphanumeric character that was not proved in my email. I called customer support and spoke with Dan. He suggested that he remotely access my computer but I was uncomfortable with that so he took the time to walk me through, step by step, what needed to be done. Although that didn't work and I needed to grant him remote access to my computer anyway, he made me feel completely comfortable and talked to me through the process. I am very satisfied with Total Defense and their support team! Thank you Dan!

Total Defense response

Great feedback Louis! We genuinely appreciate it!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Handled the issue expeditiously and was very polite. Took care to make certain he understood what was happening and took the appropriate measures to remedy the situation. It was a pleasure to deal with your tech and I would certainly recommend the product in the future. Customer service is critical to sales and it's my pleasure to say it was certainly refreshing to deal with someone that understood this view.

Total Defense response

Always great to hear from our customers. Thanks Michael!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

The service that I received was very helpful to me since I do not know enough about computer systems. The person was professional and very easy to work with. He took care of the install for me. I would recommend them to anyone. Thank you very much.

Total Defense response

Much appreciated. Thanks Gary!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I am a very satisfied customer. Mr. Daniel ** (Total Defense) He walked me through the problem with my computer program. Everything turned out alright. He was Awesome. We corrected the problem. My computer was being hack, and Mr. ** guided me through and helped me to walk me through the Apps and continued to tackle the problem. Once again, Thank you for your assistance.

Total Defense response

Glad we were able to assist. Thanks Victoria!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Received Total Defense from Mediacom. I tried to install and somehow did not do it correctly. Representative came on the line when I asked for help she walked me thru the process of setting up she provided instructions, we were still unable to install since another software was still installed. She was able to remove and update the program and got it activated.

Glad to hear it Eloisa!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Window was telling me that my total defense had expired. Call we did a online repair and the man that help me. He got in my computer and fixed it for me. Did a good job. So thanks Total Defense. I would tell my friends about Total Defense. As it works great and does what it is suppose to do. Thank you.

Total Defense response

Thank you Timothy for your feedback!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

He did a great JOB for me. Thank you very much. He was very patient with me. I could not have done this without him. Besides downloading the protection for this computer, he helped me get rid of some extra items that I did not need on the computer.

Total Defense response

Always great to hear from our customers. Thanks Dennis!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Gary was very helpful and he made everything super simple. He didn't take too long and made sure all my problems were fixed. Overall good experience and I had no issues. Will have no problem calling if any other problems occur.

Total Defense response

Thank you for your great comments Kassidy!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Taylor ** done a great job. If I need help again I rather talk to Mr. T. ** and I will tell my friends about how well he work with me on my computer. Thank you again! And he call me right back after he was done doing putting the anti-virus in.

Total Defense response

Thank you for your feedback Cynthia!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

My computer was running very slow and it may have been due to add-ons or other programs that I accidentally added. Daniel responded to my needs quickly and efficiently. I would highly recommend this company. He also had manners that I greatly appreciated... A very nice and professional young man!

Total Defense response

We are glad to hear it Barbara!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

After my computer CRASHED, Dell put new hard drive, motherboard in my laptop, I had to call your support group to handle my subscription problem. Taylor, did an excellent job directing me and solved my problem. I am very satisfied with the help I received and Total Defense program.

Total Defense response

We appreciate your comments Elwood!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Today after speaking with Dan and the kind way he assisted me in getting my protection updated, it made up for the impolite response from Avangate representative I spoke with. Great JOB Dan. He patiently waited until I was able to reinstall.

Total Defense response

Glad we were able to assist. Thanks Viveen!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Called Total Defense this morning and Dan picked up. He is knowledgeable, courteous, polite, good customer relations, and returns phone call in a timely manner. Dan helped to solve the problem. I can't say enough about the service. Excellent service from Dan.

Total Defense response

Always great to hear from our customers. Thanks Barbara!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Speaking with Tyler was very pleasant. He was helpful and really nice. He handled my problem with ease. I had thought I lost my renewal rate and he reassured me I didn't. He was very quick at solving my problem. Thanks again Tyler.

Total Defense response

Many thanks for your feedback Linda!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Carlos **, was very professional with exceptional customer service skills. He followed through with every thing, he said he was going to do. He also helped me with the instructions on the rebate. It's Thanks again.

Total Defense response

Glad we could assist you Yesenia!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Service rep Gary was great! He was able to help me get the Premium product I got from Aaron's installed on my computer. Everything worked out well and he answered all of my questions. He also ran a quick scan and it finished very quickly. I will be a long time customer for sure!

Total Defense response

We always like to hear from our customers Becky! Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

It was easy to understand, and also you could trust them in many things and also was not that expensive, also the employees were very nice and polite to me which was very good. So in overall this is the main reason I gave Total Defense 5 Stars for their great quality. Thank you.

Total Defense response

We appreciate your comments Jean!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I have had Total Defense for 4 years and am very satisfied with the protection it provides as well as excellent customer service. I would not even think of switching to any other provider. I highly recommend this service to anyone looking for a reliable product.

Total Defense response

Thank you for being a loyal Total Defense customer Ruth!

Total Defense expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Total Defense software protects your internet-connected devices from malware and viruses. It is a subscription service that you can renew annually for optimal protection, and the company guarantees results.

• Services: In addition to malware and virus protection, Total Defense also offers PC tuneups and online backup services.

• Protect all your devices: Total Defense can protect all of your internet-connected devices, like laptops, desktops, tablets and more. For $60 you can cover five devices for a year; if you need more coverage, you can always add it on.

• Free tech support: You can call the tech support or customer care line weekdays during business hours for help with downloading, installation, updates and more.

• Automatic renewal service: Total Defense automatically renews your service at the end of a year so you don’t have to go a day without protection. Of course, you can also cancel your service at any time.

• Virus-free guarantee: If a virus happens to slip through Total Defense’s protections, the company will remove it for free. If they can’t, you’ll get your money back. They also have a money-back guarantee if you aren’t happy with the service up to 60 days after your purchase.

• Best for: people with internet-connected devices and computers to protect from viruses and malware.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Total Defense Company Information