4.98/5
Based on 258 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Total Defense has been a global leader in Internet security and anti-malware software since 1992. Total Defense products protect you, your family, and your PCs, Macs, Android tablets and smartphones against viruses, ransomware, and identity theft. Total Defense's friendly US-based technical support and customer care teams are committed to protecting consumers from the dangers of online threats everyday.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: May 24, 2018

258 Total Defense Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 24, 2018

For Gary **: He was excellent! My computer had crashed and I needed my Total Defense moved into my new computer. He thought it would take around 25 minutes but it was done in about five! Thanks for his and your wonderful service!

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 24, 2018

The tech was very responsive and solved all the computer problems. Needless to say, I am very satisfied and would recommend your company to my friends. My computer has very slow and had pops ups so bad that I couldn't type anything. They are all gone now. This was a lot cheaper than buying a new computer. Thank you.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I wish to commend Ms. ** for her patience and her dedication to customer service. I had been given a rebate form by the salesman, who sold me the computer, which he claimed was for the anti-virus product he sold me. I activated the product but was unable to obtain the rebate. When I spoke to Ms **. She was extremely patient as she told me to use my smartphone to email the receipt and the rebate application given to me by the salesman. It took me two tries to do it successfully and she continued to help. She processed the rebate request and left me a very satisfied customer. Thank you.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Simple installation via download. I changed computers recently and the customer service department was on top of my questions about transferring my subscription to the new computer and responded the very next day. Since running the Total Defense software on my laptops for the past 6 years I have not had any compromises to my equipment and in reviewing the scan logs it is clear there have been many attempts. I would recommend Total Defense to anyone who has concerns about the security of their computer equipment without hesitation.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Great job! And polite. She instructed me to create an account to be able to add another device so, I did and by the time I entered all of my information and submitted it didn't work. But it wasn't her fault in telling me I need another e-mail address.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Defense?

Original review: May 22, 2018

Laurie was really fantastic. She helped me install the protection I needed for my Mac laptop. She even called me back when she needed more time to help me. Laurie was great and very patient. Thanks, I appreciate all of your help.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Was very pleased with the customer service today from Gary **/Tech. He was very helpful and the Total Defense icon has once again appeared. The security system Total Defense has been one of the better security systems I've had on my computer.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I was provided excellent service and was very satisfied of the representative's assistance. I called and I was promptly helped with my Total Defense software. I wouldn't doubt calling once again if I encounter any issues with my PC. If I could rate the representative I would give him 10 out of 10. Thank you!

Original review: May 22, 2018

The representative was very courteous and very helpful with my Total Defense installation. The service provided was great. I bought my protection from Brandsmart and I needed help with my installation and how the product works and the representative helped me with the installation and told me everything I needed to know about the product. Thank you!

Original review: May 21, 2018

I'm very satisfied with the service provide by the representative with my Total Defense installation. He was very tech savvy. Help a lot with my installation and with claiming my rebate. I would totally recommend Total Defense to friends and family. Thank you Carlos.

Original review: May 19, 2018

We have used Total Defense for several years now, seems to keep us very well protected, we don't the issues we had with previous companies. In the past I had to take my computer in for service and "clean up" 3-4 times a year, with Total Defense we don't have to. Great product, easy to renew each year and we have no complaints!

Original review: May 18, 2018

I have used Total Defense since about 2006 and the one virus that got through was terminated quickly thanks to the support team. I switched to another antivirus for about a year and will never do so again. Wholeheartedly recommend Total Defense!

Original review: May 18, 2018

I have had the service for two years. Excellent! I have never had a problem. The service automatically scans my computer and laptop and cleans up any possible problems. I get a detailed report of any threats or malware. They also warn me of any possible phishing emails! I highly recommend the service!

Original review: May 17, 2018

When I called to get Total Defense back on my computer because software issues caused me to get the computer restored, I was send an email link that brought me right back having Total Defense back as my security protection. It was easy and well directed by the Total Defense rep.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Very efficient installation of the product. I'm very glad I was able to speak with someone in Spanish that could understand me and the issues I was encountering. The technical support rep remote in to my computer and was able to install everything. Thank you very much!

Original review: May 17, 2018

It was a real pleasure to speak to Lori **. She was very knowledgeable and easily helped me with my issue. I had an addition question about quarantined Trojan viruses and she showed me how to delete past quarantined viruses. She made everything about renewing my subscription very smooth. She was very easy to speak to.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Help from Dan your agent at help center - I had some problems with my PC Pitstop download and within a very short time he was able to completely fix my problem. My problem was that the program would open and hang up and would not continue forward. I was so pleased how quickly he solved my problem and I would highly recommend Dan to anyone who has any problems with Total Defense PC Pitstop. He is a professional in my book.

Original review: May 15, 2018

My account was to renew on May 16. I thought I downloaded the updates, and then I wanted to remove the renewal on my account. Instead I denoted my account and was not aware the download was not made. I spoke with Nickolas this morning and he was able to fix my mistake. I have used your software for many years and very pleased with it. Your customer service area should be commended on the way they conduct themselves and the knowledge they have to help your customer.

Original review: May 14, 2018

The representative did a great job on the installation. I bought my Total Defense from BrandsMart here in Atlanta. The representative very helpful and provide assistance with everything I needed. Thank you very much! The rep didn't lasted long to resolve the issue I had on my computer and help clarifying everything about the product.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I called Total Defense after what I was informed was a browser hijacking. I spoke to Gary in their New York office and explained the problem. Within 20 minutes he had repaired a number of problems and my system runs great. Not the first time they took care of such issues. I recommend this product to anyone who owns a PC.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I am a Mediacom customer. Being computer illiterate, I was not able to install Total Defense on my PC. I called Total Defense and Gary was able to connect to my PC and install your product quickly and now I am protected. Thanks to Gary and his great customer service skills. He was a pleasure to talk to.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I am a Mediacom customer. I tried to install Total Defense a couple of times, but I kept getting an error message. I called Total Defense and the tech was able to connect to my PC and install your product quickly and now I am fully protected. Thanks to Total Defense and the great customer support team that you have.

Total Defense response

Your feedback is greatly appreciated Sharon!

Original review: April 10, 2018

I am an Aarons customer. I have been very happy with Total Defense. Everytime I call the Customer Support team they are able to resolve my problem quickly. Gary was very helpful with installing my Premium subscription on a second device. I would highly recommend Total Defense to friends and family.

Original review: April 4, 2018

My experience with the tech service representative Daniel ** was nothing more than spectacular. He was knowledgeable, attentive and friendly. He answered all my questions. He made suggestions which was helpful. I will definitely recommend Total Defense to family and friends. Thank you, Dan.

Total Defense response

Thank you Viren! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback!

Original review: April 2, 2018

I have been a loyal Total Defense customer for over 3 years. I have been very satisfied with the Unlimited product and the support I have received over the years. Whenever I call for help, my issue is quickly resolved. Gary was very helpful in resolving my issue.

Total Defense response

It was my pleasure to assist you Donald. Thank you for your great feedback!

Original review: March 30, 2018

I received outstanding service from Daniel and Carlos of Total Defense when I had an ad that kept appearing on my computer desktop. It was annoying to have to click off the ad each time I wanted to use my computer. The problem was solved and I was impressed that these employees did not give up on an less than savvy computer user!

Total Defense response

Thank you for being a loyal Total Defense customer. We appreciate your feedback!

Original review: March 28, 2018

I originally purchased my Total Defense Premium from PC Richards. I have been very happy with the protection and how easy it is to use the software. I called to have it installed on a second computer. Your support tech was excellent. He was very polite and patient. I would highly recommend Total Defense to friends and family.

Total Defense response

Great customer feedback Angela! We appreciate your loyalty!

Original review: March 21, 2018

Total Defense Mediacom Install - Gary was super to me so very nice and helpful. I have a head injury and asked him if he could help me by putting this on for me and he did helped me a lot so I thank you for hiring such nice people.

Total Defense response

It was my pleasure to assist you Beverly!

Original review: March 20, 2018

I had a problem with my last year download that I didn't know until just recently. I entered an email work ticket repair and called your customer service number and spoke with Gary. He called me back at home and fixed the issue very efficiently in a timely manner. He was very professional and stayed with this issue until resolved. I have used your virus protection for a few years and didn't know last year's update didn't load, luckily I didn't had any virus problems and didn't know the virus scans weren't TD but Windows Defender instead... Guess when I update my Windows to ten, the Defender must have had an issue with the Total Defense virus protection. Your customer service guru, Gary, is an asset to your company. Thanks.

Total Defense response

Thank you for those great comments Stephen. It was my pleasure to assist you!

Original review: March 19, 2018

I had a problem with someone remote dialing into my computer and added a bunch of adware that I wasn't able to remove myself. Total Defense team made this clean up easy and extremely hassle free. I am 100% satisfied with my purchase of this product.

Total Defense response

We are glad you were so pleased with the support you received Marketia, and for your great feedback!

Total Defense expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Total Defense software protects your internet-connected devices from malware and viruses. It is a subscription service that you can renew annually for optimal protection, and the company guarantees results.

• Services: In addition to malware and virus protection, Total Defense also offers PC tuneups and online backup services.

• Protect all your devices: Total Defense can protect all of your internet-connected devices, like laptops, desktops, tablets and more. For $60 you can cover five devices for a year; if you need more coverage, you can always add it on.

• Free tech support: You can call the tech support or customer care line weekdays during business hours for help with downloading, installation, updates and more.

• Automatic renewal service: Total Defense automatically renews your service at the end of a year so you don’t have to go a day without protection. Of course, you can also cancel your service at any time.

• Virus-free guarantee: If a virus happens to slip through Total Defense’s protections, the company will remove it for free. If they can’t, you’ll get your money back. They also have a money-back guarantee if you aren’t happy with the service up to 60 days after your purchase.

• Best for: people with internet-connected devices and computers to protect from viruses and malware.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
Shelley Elmblad

Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Total Defense Company Information