Call toll free
4.96/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Total Defense has been a global leader in Internet security and anti-malware software since 1992. Total Defense products protect you, your family, and your PCs, Macs, Android tablets and smartphones against viruses, ransomware, and identity theft. Total Defense's friendly US-based technical support and customer care teams are committed to protecting consumers from the dangers of online threats everyday.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1229 Total Defense Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 20, 2019

I contacted by email and a follow up phone call and got connected to Dan **. I further explained my problem and things I did not understand like pressing fix now in one section would create an outcome in 3 others and how come it backed up all my files to the cloud. At this point Dan asked me a few questions and from that he was able to tell me about this new suite, upgraded 1week ago and all things relevant to keeping our computer safe and importantly how to access the cloud if need be. I went from a guy in panic to feeling soothed by his ability, the way he went about explaining things with his very calming approach. This guy is an absolute asset to you as he was to me in attending to our concerns. Thanks Dan and Total Defense 10 plus years with you. An Email a phone call and all fixed in 10 minutes and we are in Melbourne Australia. Thank you all Billie **.

Total Defense response

Glad we were able to assist. Thanks William!

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Customer Care and Technical Support Associates are courteous and prompt, thorough, professional and ready to tackle any issue. I am appreciative of the substantive response to my questions. As a discerning adult, I am always careful online, and I feel secure knowing this company strives to provide the very best in computer protection. Overall, I believe this product is a great value.

Total Defense response

Thanks again Evelyn for your awesome review!

Original review: March 4, 2019

Good Day All! My name is Kenyatta and I recently completed a call concerning a refund for making an additional purchase by mistake. I made a mistake also with the young man's name and said his name is 'Tyler' and I have learned that his name is Taylor! I am sorry Taylor because I do not like my name to be mispronounced! I won't forget you because that is my child's name too! I connected with him at approximately 10:35 a.m today. I do not normally take time out to do surveys. However, when someone has done a well or exceptional job I try to tell them or the subordinate at the time. Surveys take time that I do not want to commit to; and I do not usually complete them. I want to take the time to say that Good and Solid Customer Service to the people these days is few, far, and in between; and even sometimes slim to none!

This is why I am able to say Taylor provided that Good and Solid Customer Service today and I appreciate it! I want The Total Defense Company to be aware of this matter. My call was brief but handled well. I appreciate Taylor for providing service to me today. Please be sure to acknowledge Taylor concerning this matter. Also, whenever your employees are representing the company in an appropriate manner. I told Taylor I know everyone in the world is going through something (challenging) in their personal life. Total Defense please remember when individuals can put themselves aside for the time being at their jobs to assist or help others: give the credit when it is due! Give the person their flowers while they can STILL smell them! God is good ALL the time; and ALL the time God is good!!! Thank you again for time concerning my expression. Thank you for all of your help today Taylor! Goodbye!!!

Total Defense response

Thank you for your feedback Kenyatta!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I called your customer support number yesterday to seek some clarification on my renewal. I've been a customer for several years but this was my first call/contact. I was so impressed with the gentleman who answered my call, Gary **, that I felt I must share my experience. He answered with the most welcoming, kind voice, I felt I could see his smile through the ethers, he listened carefully to my question, pulled up my account and answered my questions quickly, clearly. I was so pleased with his response, his kindness and hint of wit which I so appreciated.

His kindness, knowledge, manner of responding to me gave me confidence in your company that you truly care about your customers and their concerns. Gary ** exhibited, demonstrated excellence in customer relations in every respect. He truly is a role model for other employees, companies to emulate. His knowledge, kindness, personality and manner are second to none. I am a most happy "Total Defense" customer, have been for the past years, but my first contact with a question for Mr. **, has made me an even happier customer. Mr. ** should be commended for his excellent, second to none, customer service. Thank you Gary!

Total Defense response

Great to hear! Thanks Dale!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

After struggling with the installation of this service and speaking with several of the customer service representatives I walked away from the process for several days. This morning Sept. 26 I again started to try and install this wonderful looking service. I called the customer service line and to my great surprise I got a tremendously experienced representative. He was very friendly and very professional all at the same time. I explained my concern and he apologized for my difficulties with the installation. He was very precise with the instructions on how to go from start and get my system set up. Within less than 10 minutes we had the system up and protecting my desktop system, something that I had been struggling with for two days and nights.

This service rep was amazing, it felt like he was looking over my shoulder and could anticipate any mistakes I was about to make. I really appreciate the quickness in which he was able to direct me in the installation process; this gentleman deserves a great big " atta boy" and in my opinion is a shining star at your organization. Thank You all so very much.

Total Defense response

We always like to hear from our customers Robert!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Defense?

Original review: July 15, 2019

Called to report I had received notices that there was an upgrade done to Total Defense protections and needed to be updated. Taylor was very helpful, he knew immediately what it was and walked me through it and made sure everything was okay before we hung up, he was great to work with. This was on 6/19/19, I had a computer problem, just getting through back emails.

Original review: July 15, 2019

An unidentified black box, that I was told had to do with the audio, was popping up on my screen but every time it appeared my mouse would stop working properly. The black box is gone now and I hope it does not come back!!!!

Original review: July 15, 2019

Windows download probably eliminated my Total Defense Program. You reinstalled. Young man was courteous and extremely efficient. Thank you very much! I`m required to write 40 words. Don`t really have anything else to say other than mission accomplished. The young man deserves a pay raise.

Original review: July 13, 2019

Daniel ** was great in helping me renew my Total Defense on my computer, he had knowledge and was very easy to understand. Great personality. Very kind man. He can be trainer if not already one with his experience and knowledge. Walter

Total Defense response

Thank you for the 5-star review, it was our pleasure to assist you.

Original review: July 12, 2019

On the 4th of July my computer went crazy, started screaming, loud directions and a red screen. No way out of it except to pay 200 dollars at another person and then I looked awful. I called Total Defense a few days later. They fixed the problem, now I want to be successful again.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Excellent help for a 86 year old in distress. Your agent/fixer was patient in handling my situation quickly and explained in detail how to fix the problem. This is the second time in the 2 years I've had your service.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Recently renewed my Total Defense account, however; encountered a problem loading that software on one of my laptops. Very thankful that the Total Defense customer service person did such a quick and effective job in getting my laptop redirected to my recently renewed account. Great service!

Total Defense response

Glad we were able to assist. Thanks John!

Original review: July 12, 2019

The customer service experience was outstanding, very professional knowledgeable, and courteous, he knew what to do immediately and resolved the issue in less than 5 minutes, this associate is an asset to your company. I will definitely be using your product in the future.

Total Defense response

Thank you so much for the 5-star review and such positive feedback regarding your support experience with Total Defense.

Original review: July 11, 2019

Taylor ** responded in a most professional manner to our various questions, many of which were couched in my, admittedly, somewhat deficient knowledge of computer terminology. He explained everything very clearly, and we feel confident that Total Defense is providing a very secure and comprehensive security system for us.

Original review: July 10, 2019

Dan ** had to take control of my PC and then he corrected the issue I was having. He helped me understand the new software and was patient and knowledgeable. He spent over 1/2 with me and never rushed me at all. It was a good experience.

Total Defense response

We're happy that you are satisfied with the support you received!

Original review: July 9, 2019

Taylor is amazing. He put up with my impatience. Totally satisfied. He walked me thru process. I appreciate Taylor. He needs a raise please. Y'all have a brilliant employee. I would hire him today and just met him today. Keep up the good work.

Original review: July 8, 2019

Carlos ** was very polite, knowledgeable and solved my issues remotely causing minimal interruption in my daily activities. Carlos also called me back when work was completed. I would recommend this service to any potential user.

Ron

Original review: July 8, 2019

The technician was very professional, assertive, and efficient. He was happy to do exactly as I asked and respond courteously to my inquiries calmly and politely. This was my second call, and both gentlemen, Carlos and Taylor, who helped me on two different occasions were both top notch. I felt comfortable relaying my needs/concerns even with my base knowledge of technology and technological terminology.

Original review: July 5, 2019

Contacted your help desk to determine if I had installed your product. I did not Spoke with Taylor who took charge of my PC installing the security system for me. He was very helpful and patient and I appreciated his expertise.

Original review: July 2, 2019

Got a total runaround until I finally got hooked up with your service. After that it was smooth sailing. Thanks! The problem started when my printer would not connect to my computer. I called my internet provider and they referred me to my computer manufacturer who then referred me to the printer manufacturer. Then I went back to Mediacom and they eventually connected me to Total Defense.

Total Defense response

Glad we were able to assist. Thanks Daniel!

Original review: July 2, 2019

I am very thankful that Taylor was able to clear out my computer without any issues. He was quick and explained everything he was doing with great clarity. I wont hesitate to call again if I have any more issues. Hopefully I will get Taylor every time.

Total Defense response

Thank you for your review, it’s was our pleasure to assist you.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I was getting system scans during the day which slowed my laptap. I thought I had the scans set for overnight only to find out that my backups were set for overnight. Taylor pointed my to the correct place to set up my system scans. Hopefully, now my scans will occur overnight.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I really was stress out trying to activate this PREMIUM internet security, for weeks. Not being able to catch you guys during my work hours. Today I was off tho. Thanks to the gentlemen that help me, I was able to get this place on my computer & now I'm on to my t shirt business.

Sincerely yours,

Robert

Original review: July 2, 2019

Taylor was extremely accommodating and helpful. He solved my problem quickly and efficiently and was able to get my computer restarted. He worked diligently to get the best price possible to renew my subscription. He was wonderful. I would highly recommend him to any friend in need of assistance.

Total Defense response

We appreciate the opportunity to help and love the feedback.

Original review: July 2, 2019

Lori ** was a "GEM" to talk to and she was able to quickly sort out my problem. It was a pleasure to have her help me out. I had received an email that said that our subscription had run out, but Lori assured me that this was wrong. We've used your products for years (and years before your Company took over from the Australian product). Excellent. David

Total Defense response

Your patronage to Total Defense for the past years is more than appreciated. I hope you continue to enjoy your experience with the company.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I received an email stating that my renewal needed to be paid, but I had already paid it by check In June and the check has already cleared my account. The one helping me was able to see that I had made the payment. Thank you for your help.

Original review: June 28, 2019

I renewed my annual subscription of Premium Internet Security for $79.99, but I noticed the discounted price ($59.99) that was being offered on the website. I used the online Chat to ask about the possible $20 refund, and Taylor ** immediate responded and addressed the request. There was no hassle, wait time, etc, and the process was convenient. Thank you for your customer service! On a related note... I know the pricing/discounts/offers are outside of Support Team's realm and the timing may not align with the users, but it would be beneficial to the customers if it's already calculated into the automatic renewal when applicable. But I also understand it's part of the business...

Original review: June 28, 2019

Renewing my account. Taylor was great helping me. Thank you. He was very good knowing I wasn't experienced with computers. Would recommend Total Defense. He could help me anytime. Never had any trouble with any virus. It took less than 5 minutes to activate the service. That was very fast.

Total Defense response

Thank you for your 5-star review, it was our pleasure to assist you.

Original review: June 27, 2019

Australia is 14 hours ahead of USA eastern standard time. Your help phone is active (am to 6PM which is Australia Eastern standard time 11pm to 8am). Inconvenient!! However up early and a smooth download and install followed, no bother.

Original review: June 27, 2019

Pop-up on virtual machine. Taylor focused in on the issue and resolved my concerns in short order! It was determined that I did not need an anti-virus for the virtual machine as it is never used for online services. I appreciated that greatly. John

Total Defense response

Great to hear. Thanks John.

Total Defense expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Total Defense software protects your internet-connected devices from malware and viruses. It is a subscription service that you can renew annually for optimal protection, and the company guarantees results.

• Services: In addition to malware and virus protection, Total Defense also offers PC tuneups and online backup services.

• Protect all your devices: Total Defense can protect all of your internet-connected devices, like laptops, desktops, tablets and more. For $60 you can cover five devices for a year; if you need more coverage, you can always add it on.

• Free tech support: You can call the tech support or customer care line weekdays during business hours for help with downloading, installation, updates and more.

• Automatic renewal service: Total Defense automatically renews your service at the end of a year so you don’t have to go a day without protection. Of course, you can also cancel your service at any time.

• Virus-free guarantee: If a virus happens to slip through Total Defense’s protections, the company will remove it for free. If they can’t, you’ll get your money back. They also have a money-back guarantee if you aren’t happy with the service up to 60 days after your purchase.

• Best for: people with internet-connected devices and computers to protect from viruses and malware.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Total Defense Company Information