2.55/5

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Bitdefender

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Bitdefender Reviews

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I am simply getting tired of their poor beyond any limit, absolutely dumb technical service. They never were to resolve any issue I've addressed them by far within 2 years. Today right after I've found that my OSX application won't let me switch to the BD Central I gave them their last chance and gave up because of the highest level of negligence and stupidity they've shown. Do not recommend.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Very long story, I’ll cut to the chase, been a customer for years and years, sure, annoying with their firewall and their scripting for threat detection is a bit hit and miss, however I have an entire server type setup at home, laptops, computers, servers, iPads, iPhones, android gadgets.... You name it.... And before you immediately think I may be lax on passwords or any of the usual ‘common mistakes’ as a network administrator (many, many lifetimes ago), I have ALWAYS been right on top of it. Anyway. The ENTIRE SYSTEM, completely stripped, I've lost Terrabytes of data, every password in the house and electronic item has been changed, by the way, just malicious, or perhaps a challenge, I have no enemies....

And WHO uses the ‘lock and wipe the mobile phone’ function on someone you are hacking from... Bulgaria.... I know this, as a manifesto was the only thing left on one of my iPads, exclaiming that what they are doing is ‘noble’ and the world needs to know that Bitdefender are ‘evil’ etc etc. Sooooo.... The cyber police here in Australia don’t really care, as I’m VERY careful with my money and none went missing, even though I now have a MASSIVE concern for identity theft at anytime from now.

I called Bitdefender, got some ‘bloke’ in another Eastern European block country who sent me an email with a logging program on it. I had a quick look and am still waiting to hear back, despite several furious emails. I had two firewalls too, one downstairs and the other up. I would pay them money to find out how they did it, cause I have been glued to all of my things for the last 10 days or so, looking for ANY sort of trace. There’s nothing and Bitdefender clearly couldn’t care less. 100% Truth and nothing but the truth, as it’s now night 11 0343hrs in the morning and I’m pouring over my XBOX, because YEP! They got into that too, how did they turn it on? Really professional. Which is exactly what I was paying Bitdefender to be for years and years. Still apoplectic with rage. HAD to put one star in there. That star is for them letting me know never to spend a cent on them and spend the rest of my days telling people to stay away.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I inadvertently bought 2 products from this company in Australia, because the screen for confirmation popped up twice during payment processing. I immediately contacted the company and after a 28 minute wait was connected to their customer service. Although the company has a 30 day money back guarantee, the staff member did not have authority to refund the money, saying he needed to refer it to "senior sales representatives". 2 days later (!), and in spite of 2 emails to the company, I have neither heard from them nor have I received a refund of the 2 x $44.99 I have paid.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

The product works fine as far as I can tell. I got a renewal email for 1/2 price, so I took it. Instead of a confirmation, I got an email that something was left in my cart. This turned out to be untrue, but I did a duplicate renewal before checking. So, OK, fine, I have 2 years subscription for 1/2 price. Next, I got an email that the auto-renew had been canceled. Then, I got charged full price for another auto-renewal subscription. When I called customer service, he could do nothing. My advice: if you like the product, be very careful with your renewal! RK

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

Don't waste your time or your money with this useless Antivirus protection. It protects nothing. I had three PCs hit with Ransomware all the while this was supposed to protect them. It literally has in the settings ransomware listed as one of its protections as if to protect the PC. Luckily I had backup images of each PC. But less than a month later I was hit again... and again... and again. One PC hit 4 times for a total of 6 times all together. Their tech support was absolutely no help at all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bitdefender?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

If you choose auto renewal, they will charge you 3 times the price - $95.99 and will not give your money back. You can buy the same product for as low as $29.99. Every time you call same 2 people answers the phone with broken English. Good luck to all of us with this company...

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I contacted Bitdefender for a refund because I was charged twice. They refused to refund saying it had been more than 6 months! The overcharge was their fault... not mine!! I requested credit to my account since it was their error and have not received a response. Probably won't respond but I will post an update if they do!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

I've been a Bitdefender subscriber for several years and recently selected the "Auto-Renew" option. What a mistake! I was just charge $95.39 for the Total Secure 2020 version. This is a SCAM!!! I can buy the same version from Amazon for $29.99. Even the Bitdefender website sells the version for $39.99. I called and talked to a manager and asked why their auto-renew is 3 times the cost of Amazon and he replied that Amazon is not a partner. So What??? He could not explain further. Also, I found out that Bitdefender is a Romanian company. I'll now be using PC Matic, which is USA made.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I installed Bitdefender and didn't realize it was why my computer wouldn't work. I did a factory reset and it worked well. Reinstalled bitdefender and it bogged down again. It would barely run at all. Bad software.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

I paid and downloaded Bitdefender to get rid of a virus/malware which is quite known out there. Bitdefender did a scan and reported that my computer was clean! It has alerted me a few times about certain files wanting access to other files which is within Microsoft office on my computer, which makes no sense. I emailed them over a month ago and they haven't replied. I'm starting to think Bitdefender is a scam, so warning!!

Bitdefender expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Headquartered in Bucharest, Romania, Bitdefender is an internet security company. Its partners and subsidiaries provide anti-virus and anti-spyware software for consumers and businesses. Bitdefender was founded in 2001.

• Applications: Bitdefender’s products include web protection, firewall, parental controls, encryption software and more. These can protect your computer or business network against viruses, spam, adware and more.

• Protect all smart devices: These days, your PC and laptop are not the only vulnerable devices in your home. The Bitdefender BOX uses hardware, cloud technology and software to protect all of your smart home devices like smart TVs, smartphones, Wi-Fi thermostats, baby monitors and any other device or appliance that connects to the internet.

• Business solutions: Bitdefender has many options for businesses of all sizes. You can protect all endpoints and data centers by fortifying your infrastructure. You can also detect persistent threats and identify and avoid cyber attacks.

• Trial downloads: You can try most of Bitdefender’s software solutions for free for 30 days. Just visit their website to download your trial version.

• Free antivirus software: Bitdefender has several free software solutions including the Home Scanner, which detects all of your connected devices and lets you know if they are vulnerable to security risks. You can also download several free security apps for your smartphone or tablet.

• Best for: individuals and small and enterprise-sized businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
      Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Bitdefender Company Information