3.7/5 (174 ratings)

About Bitdefender

Bitdefender Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bitdefender?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bitdefender?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

I have used Bitdefender for years and had a good experience over time. The past December, one of my email accounts, phone, and bank accounts got hacked. I was notified via email by the bank that changes were being made. My wife informed me that my number showed a different number when I called her. My passwords stopped working for an email account that I use regularly. I immediately called customer service about what I needed to do, and I was asked, "What would you like for us to do?" I was confused. They gave no advice and told me there was nothing they could do for me if I got hacked. I thought that was their specialty. Customer service was very short with me, and then we hung up. I expected warnings and alarms to go off when this nightmare first started. Instead, I got a shoulder shrug.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

I’ve used Bitdefender for over 3 years but this time will be my last renewal. I’m not a IT professional so I have no idea about its performance. However, the popup notifications (“Suspicious connection blocked”) are really annoying. They keep appearing at the right corner, preventing me from typing in another app. If I want to type again, I have to use the mouse to click on the windows I am working with. I tried to stop it but failed. I wrote to Bitdefender years ago but till now no improvements for this. They seem not to care about their customers’ feedback. If you don’t want to be annoyed like me, do not use Bitdefender Total Security.

Get buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

Was trying to set up printer and thought there was a conflict with Bitdefender and my computer as the vpn pop up kept coming up and then it would cancel the printer driver download. So I uninstalled bitdefender and lo and behold I got the printer installed. So went to reinstall and would not work. Tried customer service and they were no help at all. Told me someone would call back in 48 hours. Very poor customer service and to be honest this software has so many pop ups that are very annoying that I was not going to continue using anyway.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2021

I have an Orbi internet router and make a purchased an internet security Armor pro through Netgear Orbi app which owned by Bitdefender. By that time I activated the wrong Orbi router which I previously owned and requested Netgear to fix the problem so I could activate to my current Orbi router. The process took over a month and Netgear can’t solve the problem therefore pointing to Bitdefender. I contacted Bitdender and asked them to solve the issue. The process took over month again and still Bitdefender can’t solve it pointing to Netgear. I contact them back and forth but they blame other side. Finally I asked Bitdefender to remove the current security Armor pro then send me a different activation code or refund my money but they refused. Netgear and Bitdefender pointing finger at each other making me hanging in the middle without solution.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

I purchased this product in late 2020 for $29. It was automatically renewed two days ago for $94. That's not illegal, it's just brain-dead marketing. Is it a good product? Yes. Can you find similarly good products for much less money? Yes. I will be severing the "subscription" through my PayPal account and I'll be looking for another product at the end of the term.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

After almost a year using BD, I got the renew email. I simply called support (early morning) and told them I no longer needed the software. On the renew day, they charged me anyway so I sent an email AND called and told the support person about my previous contact with them. I was nice and told them I wanted a full refund of $64.98.

About a week later upon reviewing my card statement, I noticed a refund from them of $20 and change. I sent them another email and told them I DID NOT want an extended subscription but my full refund. I simply did not need BD any longer and wanted the balance of my refund, and wouldn’t pursue the matter further if I received it. I didn’t contact them again but waited. About a month and a half later I received a FULL refund for the purchase. So in my case I came out over $20 ahead after a year’s subscription - well, Merry Christmas!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

I received an email from BitDefender to renew my subscription, I followed the link provided and clicked on their renew button after my card was accepted I was taken to a new subscription page. I immediately sent an email to the link provided, and got a quick response from a 3rd billing party saying my email was being forewarned to BitDefender. After 3 full business days I contacted the credit card company to dispute the charge. I will never use BitDefender again.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I called four times to resolve a problem with the VPN, and each time I was put on hold and then disconnected. The last time I gave the support person my phone number in case it happened again. It did and he never called back. Also tried their email support service but could never send it out regardless of the browser I used. Again, truly awful customer service.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

This is an adware product. It will spam you continuously with its offerings. You could be in the middle of a presentation and you'll get a spam notification popup advertising some pointless upgrade from Bitdefender. It's absolutely not an appropriate product for professional use. Their product also auto-renews at twice the price you originally paid. From what I've read, most InfoSec professionals recommend just using Windows Defender, included with Windows for free, adding uBlock Origin, and scanning any suspicious files with Virus Total. I haven't seen Bitdefender mentioned in any real recommendations.

Original review: July 31, 2021

They emailed me on July 15, 2021 to renew my subscription which I did through Paypal for $96.06. On July 19, 2021 they billed my paypal account again for the same subscription and charged me $160.11. When I complained, they didn't want to refund one of the charges. They wanted to extend the subscription through 2023. They said I enrolled in their automatic renewal. (What?) I can't do business with a company that pulls a fast one over on me. I'll take my business (and money) to a company with legitimate practices. I am contesting the charges with paypal and am closing my paypal account as a result of this. Bitdefender is trying to make me an offer I can't refuse or cancel.

Bitdefender author review by Shelley Elmblad

Headquartered in Bucharest, Romania, Bitdefender is an internet security company. Its partners and subsidiaries provide anti-virus and anti-spyware software for consumers and businesses. Bitdefender was founded in 2001.

• Applications: Bitdefender’s products include web protection, firewall, parental controls, encryption software and more. These can protect your computer or business network against viruses, spam, adware and more.

• Protect all smart devices: These days, your PC and laptop are not the only vulnerable devices in your home. The Bitdefender BOX uses hardware, cloud technology and software to protect all of your smart home devices like smart TVs, smartphones, Wi-Fi thermostats, baby monitors and any other device or appliance that connects to the internet.

• Business solutions: Bitdefender has many options for businesses of all sizes. You can protect all endpoints and data centers by fortifying your infrastructure. You can also detect persistent threats and identify and avoid cyber attacks.

• Trial downloads: You can try most of Bitdefender’s software solutions for free for 30 days. Just visit their website to download your trial version.

• Free antivirus software: Bitdefender has several free software solutions including the Home Scanner, which detects all of your connected devices and lets you know if they are vulnerable to security risks. You can also download several free security apps for your smartphone or tablet.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Advisor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Bitdefender Company Information