3.9/5 (278 ratings)

About Bitdefender

Bitdefender Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bitdefender?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

I am so annoyed with Bitdefender. Before purchasing, lots of reviews said it was good for Windows machines and that it rated highly. What they all conveniently failed to mention is how much it bogged down a Windows computer. So much so that my everyday tasks became daunting, time-consuming and inefficient. I emailed them. The reps - who can't really do much because it's a fundamental problem with the fundamental product - were cordial and kind enough. The product simply does not do a good job at balancing security with computer efficiency. And YES, I did un-toggle many of the features, but no difference in performance occurred. Bitdefender is one of the few purchases in my life that I have made only to later regret.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

Bitdefender Anit-Virus functions as well as comparable anti-viruses. Nothing exceptional. It is support that is lacking in this company. Auto-generated emails are only useful if they pertain to the situation at hand. Bitdefender auto emails contain erroneous information in which one can only ascertain their true intent, if having knowledge of the procedures of this company. Much time I have wasted contacting this company to straighten out their messes caused by auto-generated emails.

They finally make a specific reply stating what their true intent was, which should have been stated in the first place in order to prevent miscommunication and more time wasted contacting them again and again. Their emails are from a non-monitored box and one must go online and log in in order to communicate each time. Common sense does not prevail here in that auto emails are not appropriate in every instance. Please get it together Bitdefender and put a little effort into your customer support.

Get buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

NO STAR - Zero Review. Notified that my 2 year/10PC subscription expired today (it actually has 449 days left) and BD disabled all services. All machines unprotected now and no response from BD CS. I have been using this software for over 11 years and EVERY subscription has had issues. They conveniently delete your 'payments' from their central app and you have to work through your bank to find the payment to them. This often takes weeks, while your systems are idled. They conveniently delete previous subscription data (date/amount/id code) thereby erasing your renewal/paid subscription from their system - YOU have to prove you purchased their software from them.

Had I been an auto-renewal sucker, they would have renewed my subscription 15 months early. NEVER use auto renewal as you can buy software retail for 1/4-1/3 of the renewal price. I can now attempt to resolve this issue and idle all of my systems for 4-8 weeks or purchase a reputable software package, delete BD TS & VPN and move on. No one can afford to be down for months. Save yourself the grief and purchase another product.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2022

Save card details and renew at 3 times more price from market without any email to customers. They cut $94.99 for total security for renewal whereas market price is $38. Do not buy online. Do not give card details.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2022

These password changes and the 2 verify is just ridiculous. Tech support sucks, uninstalling the thing sucks. I don't know if I'll ever get this thing uninstalled, let alone get them off of the annual recharge of my cc. I will just cancel the dam cc if I have to.

Original review: July 30, 2022

I am a majorly ticked off customer. Just got pinged for $151.00 by these jerks. Checked and they have me subscribed for three different versions of Bitdefender in a two person home. Checked my records and they charged me an additional $49.00 last year. They warned me my subscription was expiring. I believed them, because I "opted out of auto-renew." I even discussed the matter over the phone. OBVIOUSLY, the only way to opt out of Bitdefender is to treat them like an attack on your card and cancel it. When a virus program acts like what you're trying to defend against, are they really an anti-virus program? Avoid them, unless you want the prices to MORE THAN double and to be billed for product to which you did not subscribe.

Original review: June 27, 2022

No matter what $25 or $35 deal you get for 1 year with 5 devices for total protection antivirus internet etc. YOU WILL BE CHARGED $95 upon yearly renewal. It took me chatting 3 x to them, and each time they said they would send me an email and they would follow up with reply. NOPE! I had to chat with them 3x and now it was 7 days since they took my money. Finally said they would issue a refund, and I would get it back in 5 days. SO a total of 12 days. They are very irresponsible with refunds. And since they are not based in the USA you can't do much. Bitdefender is a good virus malware program but buy it on eBay or Amazon without subscription renewal. Without warning $95 was missing from account. No courtesy email, nothing.

Original review: May 18, 2022

This is one of the worst nightmare piece of antivirus software we have ever purchased.

(1) Installation on multiple computers (purchased a 5 PC license) a horror. The company will NOT, not even on request, give you the link to the full download. You only get a starter mini package and then have to repetitively download over and over again the full 500+MB package. Good luck when your company has 100+ machines to cover... I had to research the user forum to find the link to the complete download package - So facit: It is available, but the company are unwilling to share - ZERO stars!

(2) But it gets is worse: After about one week the software was detecting a thread in one of our Chrome browser tabs and froze up, leaving a white or black field on the screen to make it impossible to operate the PC any further. A reboot did not help, after the thread was discovered again, Bitdefender software crashed again and blocked the PC. No help was offered from Bitdefender, Refund was not offered, even the suggestion to make a donation to the Ukraine was refused.

Summary: Horrible company, incompetent customer service and NOT working anitvirus software! Stay away, not waste your $$$, purchase the much better and way more reliable competitor software (McAf...).

Original review: May 6, 2022

Stick with the facts (06-May-22). I have email Bitdefender about payment and change to 4 company's account details. I got advice to send through details which was already include into the email send (auto response likely) I have used more than one email to get little to no service. I waited 2 weeks for a response only to find that they request order details which as already include in the email send. I was unable to renew after 2 weeks of emails, some emails just got response that request was complete with no action taken by Bitdefender support. Be warned. (I a Bitdefender client for the last 8 year and have never experience this lack of service in my life) I work in the IT Department.

Original review: March 30, 2022

The Internet Security platform is solid and usually functions as designed. HOWEVER, when problems arise, getting anything but 20 min hold times and disconnections from customer service is the norm. After being on hold for the third time for 18 minutes and being cut off again, and after dealing with contact screens that simply freeze and activation login links that eternally state that the `server could not be reached', we spent just under two hours attempting to reinstall the program. Not sure about anyone else, but when a product fails to operate as hyped and requires hours of end-user effort to get it back up and working, it makes me want to bill the seller for those wasted hours.

Bitdefender author review by Shelley Elmblad

Headquartered in Bucharest, Romania, Bitdefender is an internet security company. Its partners and subsidiaries provide anti-virus and anti-spyware software for consumers and businesses. Bitdefender was founded in 2001.

• Applications: Bitdefender’s products include web protection, firewall, parental controls, encryption software and more. These can protect your computer or business network against viruses, spam, adware and more.

• Protect all smart devices: These days, your PC and laptop are not the only vulnerable devices in your home. The Bitdefender BOX uses hardware, cloud technology and software to protect all of your smart home devices like smart TVs, smartphones, Wi-Fi thermostats, baby monitors and any other device or appliance that connects to the internet.

• Business solutions: Bitdefender has many options for businesses of all sizes. You can protect all endpoints and data centers by fortifying your infrastructure. You can also detect persistent threats and identify and avoid cyber attacks.

• Trial downloads: You can try most of Bitdefender’s software solutions for free for 30 days. Just visit their website to download your trial version.

• Free antivirus software: Bitdefender has several free software solutions including the Home Scanner, which detects all of your connected devices and lets you know if they are vulnerable to security risks. You can also download several free security apps for your smartphone or tablet.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Advisor

Shelley Elmblad is a writer with years of experience covering small business, mobile apps, personal finance and tax software. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Bitdefender Company Information