3.8/5 (268 ratings)

About Bitdefender

Bitdefender Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bitdefender?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bitdefender?

Original review: July 30, 2022

I am a majorly ticked off customer. Just got pinged for $151.00 by these jerks. Checked and they have me subscribed for three different versions of Bitdefender in a two person home. Checked my records and they charged me an additional $49.00 last year. They warned me my subscription was expiring. I believed them, because I "opted out of auto-renew." I even discussed the matter over the phone. OBVIOUSLY, the only way to opt out of Bitdefender is to treat them like an attack on your card and cancel it. When a virus program acts like what you're trying to defend against, are they really an anti-virus program? Avoid them, unless you want the prices to MORE THAN double and to be billed for product to which you did not subscribe.

Original review: June 27, 2022

No matter what $25 or $35 deal you get for 1 year with 5 devices for total protection antivirus internet etc. YOU WILL BE CHARGED $95 upon yearly renewal. It took me chatting 3 x to them, and each time they said they would send me an email and they would follow up with reply. NOPE! I had to chat with them 3x and now it was 7 days since they took my money. Finally said they would issue a refund, and I would get it back in 5 days. SO a total of 12 days. They are very irresponsible with refunds. And since they are not based in the USA you can't do much. Bitdefender is a good virus malware program but buy it on eBay or Amazon without subscription renewal. Without warning $95 was missing from account. No courtesy email, nothing.

Get buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 18, 2022

This is one of the worst nightmare piece of antivirus software we have ever purchased.

(1) Installation on multiple computers (purchased a 5 PC license) a horror. The company will NOT, not even on request, give you the link to the full download. You only get a starter mini package and then have to repetitively download over and over again the full 500+MB package. Good luck when your company has 100+ machines to cover... I had to research the user forum to find the link to the complete download package - So facit: It is available, but the company are unwilling to share - ZERO stars!

(2) But it gets is worse: After about one week the software was detecting a thread in one of our Chrome browser tabs and froze up, leaving a white or black field on the screen to make it impossible to operate the PC any further. A reboot did not help, after the thread was discovered again, Bitdefender software crashed again and blocked the PC. No help was offered from Bitdefender, Refund was not offered, even the suggestion to make a donation to the Ukraine was refused.

Summary: Horrible company, incompetent customer service and NOT working anitvirus software! Stay away, not waste your $$$, purchase the much better and way more reliable competitor software (McAf...).

Original review: May 6, 2022

Stick with the facts (06-May-22). I have email Bitdefender about payment and change to 4 company's account details. I got advice to send through details which was already include into the email send (auto response likely) I have used more than one email to get little to no service. I waited 2 weeks for a response only to find that they request order details which as already include in the email send. I was unable to renew after 2 weeks of emails, some emails just got response that request was complete with no action taken by Bitdefender support. Be warned. (I a Bitdefender client for the last 8 year and have never experience this lack of service in my life) I work in the IT Department.

Original review: March 30, 2022

The Internet Security platform is solid and usually functions as designed. HOWEVER, when problems arise, getting anything but 20 min hold times and disconnections from customer service is the norm. After being on hold for the third time for 18 minutes and being cut off again, and after dealing with contact screens that simply freeze and activation login links that eternally state that the `server could not be reached', we spent just under two hours attempting to reinstall the program. Not sure about anyone else, but when a product fails to operate as hyped and requires hours of end-user effort to get it back up and working, it makes me want to bill the seller for those wasted hours.

Original review: March 24, 2022

I picked up Bitdefender when my router was having an issue with some sort of worm, to make sure nothing from that got into my files. Since then, I have been bombarded with pop-up after pop-up, pings and alerts for hypothetical problems I could have, and the software I should buy to prevent it. 2-4x a day this thing will advertise a service, the window appearing in front of whatever I'm doing, to sell me more of itself. I regret ever spending money on Bitdefender. Do not buy this malware disguised as protection for your computer. I haven't used the mobile app, but I can't imagine it's any less intrusive.

Original review: March 24, 2022

I tend to evaluate new products for my desktop especially when they're not FREE. The BitDefender product looked like a great product for Virus protection so I bought into it. The company also had a number of other products they wanted me to purchase, but I declined not knowing they would subsequently hit me up with daily popups for those same products. If I knew I was going to have to tolerate these daily annoyances I would have selected a different product. I will NOT renew my license to use BitDefender when my 1-year license expires.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

The Bitdefender software crashed my laptop. I was no longer able to access public access files. Even after uninstalling the software on both systems (Mac 2021 MacBook Pro and a 2020 iMac), I still cannot access anything on my iMac. I have found remnants of their software in various areas. Deleting that has still not fixed the issue. Tech support has been worthless and with a bad attitude as well. I have yet to find a way to leave a review on THEIR website. I will now have to reformat my hard drive and do a complete reinstall of the Macros as well as my programs and data in order to resolve this issue. What a nightmare!!! DO NOT BUY THIS SOFTWARE!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

I had the standard 3 licence Bitdefender and then realized that it only covered Windows devices so I asked them to upgrade so I could cover my Samsung devices and I would pay the difference. They said no. Even after making a request higher up. I am amazed they they care so little for their customers. They make no effort to make sure that they are getting the best product for their needs.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

I have used Bitdefender for years and had a good experience over time. The past December, one of my email accounts, phone, and bank accounts got hacked. I was notified via email by the bank that changes were being made. My wife informed me that my number showed a different number when I called her. My passwords stopped working for an email account that I use regularly. I immediately called customer service about what I needed to do, and I was asked, "What would you like for us to do?" I was confused. They gave no advice and told me there was nothing they could do for me if I got hacked. I thought that was their specialty. Customer service was very short with me, and then we hung up. I expected warnings and alarms to go off when this nightmare first started. Instead, I got a shoulder shrug.

Bitdefender author review by Shelley Elmblad

Headquartered in Bucharest, Romania, Bitdefender is an internet security company. Its partners and subsidiaries provide anti-virus and anti-spyware software for consumers and businesses. Bitdefender was founded in 2001.

• Applications: Bitdefender’s products include web protection, firewall, parental controls, encryption software and more. These can protect your computer or business network against viruses, spam, adware and more.

• Protect all smart devices: These days, your PC and laptop are not the only vulnerable devices in your home. The Bitdefender BOX uses hardware, cloud technology and software to protect all of your smart home devices like smart TVs, smartphones, Wi-Fi thermostats, baby monitors and any other device or appliance that connects to the internet.

• Business solutions: Bitdefender has many options for businesses of all sizes. You can protect all endpoints and data centers by fortifying your infrastructure. You can also detect persistent threats and identify and avoid cyber attacks.

• Trial downloads: You can try most of Bitdefender’s software solutions for free for 30 days. Just visit their website to download your trial version.

• Free antivirus software: Bitdefender has several free software solutions including the Home Scanner, which detects all of your connected devices and lets you know if they are vulnerable to security risks. You can also download several free security apps for your smartphone or tablet.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Advisor

Shelley Elmblad is a writer with years of experience covering small business, mobile apps, personal finance and tax software. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Bitdefender Company Information