Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.38/5

Bitdefender Reviews

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I bought Bitdefender for Mac which I purchased on Dec. 20, 2019 for $29.99. I was not satisfied with the software, it did not prevent Bing redirect, so I uninstalled it and requested a refund in writing on 3 occasions: Dec. 30, 2019; Jan. 4, 2020; and Jan 6, 2020. Their ONLY response me was an e-mail from offering me 3 free months of service. Why would I want 3 months of a product which does not meet my needs? On Jan. 7th I filed a dispute with PayPal and the SAME DAY I received an email from Bitdefender that they could not issue me a refund BECAUSE I filed a dispute. PayPal denied my dispute and now the 30 days "refund" period has expired. I feel this company gave me the run around so that the 30 day refund period would lapse. This is POOR BUSINESS. I am writing this in hopes that others do not do business with this company!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

The product causes unrecoverable system crash on Macbook Pro. Bitdefender support was not capable of supporting the crash. Result was the need to completely reformat my computer and resulted in complete data loss. There are many threads on the Apple support website and other internet discussion forums that chronicle the same performance and experience. I contacted Bitdefender for only a prorata refund of my subscription. They refused.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

They renewed my subscription and when I asked them for a refund they are giving me the run around trying to extend a program I no longer need as my company is shut down. They are a sham and not to be in business with.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

I have mailed them with complaints and have asked for a refund and they have been unresponsive. Finally just gave me the run around and no refund. The cost of this product is too high and they are constantly trying to sell upgrades to an already poor product. My computer runs slower with this product as well.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

I cancelled the subscription the same day 12/8/19 it was charged on my credit card and requested a refund for this unwanted and unused subscription. 10 days, 2 online chats & 2 emails later, I still don't have a refund. Instead they sent me an email trying to discount the price, extend the subscription and give me a partial refund. I will have to go through my credit card if they don't refund me in the next day or so. I cannot recommend the customer service. Customer service gives the run around saying only sales department can issue refund, they are very busy etc.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bitdefender?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I am simply getting tired of their poor beyond any limit, absolutely dumb technical service. They never were to resolve any issue I've addressed them by far within 2 years. Today right after I've found that my OSX application won't let me switch to the BD Central I gave them their last chance and gave up because of the highest level of negligence and stupidity they've shown. Do not recommend.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Very long story, I’ll cut to the chase, been a customer for years and years, sure, annoying with their firewall and their scripting for threat detection is a bit hit and miss, however I have an entire server type setup at home, laptops, computers, servers, iPads, iPhones, android gadgets.... You name it.... And before you immediately think I may be lax on passwords or any of the usual ‘common mistakes’ as a network administrator (many, many lifetimes ago), I have ALWAYS been right on top of it. Anyway. The ENTIRE SYSTEM, completely stripped, I've lost Terrabytes of data, every password in the house and electronic item has been changed, by the way, just malicious, or perhaps a challenge, I have no enemies....

And WHO uses the ‘lock and wipe the mobile phone’ function on someone you are hacking from... Bulgaria.... I know this, as a manifesto was the only thing left on one of my iPads, exclaiming that what they are doing is ‘noble’ and the world needs to know that Bitdefender are ‘evil’ etc etc. Sooooo.... The cyber police here in Australia don’t really care, as I’m VERY careful with my money and none went missing, even though I now have a MASSIVE concern for identity theft at anytime from now.

I called Bitdefender, got some ‘bloke’ in another Eastern European block country who sent me an email with a logging program on it. I had a quick look and am still waiting to hear back, despite several furious emails. I had two firewalls too, one downstairs and the other up. I would pay them money to find out how they did it, cause I have been glued to all of my things for the last 10 days or so, looking for ANY sort of trace. There’s nothing and Bitdefender clearly couldn’t care less. 100% Truth and nothing but the truth, as it’s now night 11 0343hrs in the morning and I’m pouring over my XBOX, because YEP! They got into that too, how did they turn it on? Really professional. Which is exactly what I was paying Bitdefender to be for years and years. Still apoplectic with rage. HAD to put one star in there. That star is for them letting me know never to spend a cent on them and spend the rest of my days telling people to stay away.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I inadvertently bought 2 products from this company in Australia, because the screen for confirmation popped up twice during payment processing. I immediately contacted the company and after a 28 minute wait was connected to their customer service. Although the company has a 30 day money back guarantee, the staff member did not have authority to refund the money, saying he needed to refer it to "senior sales representatives". 2 days later (!), and in spite of 2 emails to the company, I have neither heard from them nor have I received a refund of the 2 x $44.99 I have paid.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

The product works fine as far as I can tell. I got a renewal email for 1/2 price, so I took it. Instead of a confirmation, I got an email that something was left in my cart. This turned out to be untrue, but I did a duplicate renewal before checking. So, OK, fine, I have 2 years subscription for 1/2 price. Next, I got an email that the auto-renew had been canceled. Then, I got charged full price for another auto-renewal subscription. When I called customer service, he could do nothing. My advice: if you like the product, be very careful with your renewal! RK

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

Don't waste your time or your money with this useless Antivirus protection. It protects nothing. I had three PCs hit with Ransomware all the while this was supposed to protect them. It literally has in the settings ransomware listed as one of its protections as if to protect the PC. Luckily I had backup images of each PC. But less than a month later I was hit again... and again... and again. One PC hit 4 times for a total of 6 times all together. Their tech support was absolutely no help at all.

Not sure about Bitdefender?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Antivirus Software for you.

Bitdefender expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Headquartered in Bucharest, Romania, Bitdefender is an internet security company. Its partners and subsidiaries provide anti-virus and anti-spyware software for consumers and businesses. Bitdefender was founded in 2001.

• Applications: Bitdefender’s products include web protection, firewall, parental controls, encryption software and more. These can protect your computer or business network against viruses, spam, adware and more.

• Protect all smart devices: These days, your PC and laptop are not the only vulnerable devices in your home. The Bitdefender BOX uses hardware, cloud technology and software to protect all of your smart home devices like smart TVs, smartphones, Wi-Fi thermostats, baby monitors and any other device or appliance that connects to the internet.

• Business solutions: Bitdefender has many options for businesses of all sizes. You can protect all endpoints and data centers by fortifying your infrastructure. You can also detect persistent threats and identify and avoid cyber attacks.

• Trial downloads: You can try most of Bitdefender’s software solutions for free for 30 days. Just visit their website to download your trial version.

• Free antivirus software: Bitdefender has several free software solutions including the Home Scanner, which detects all of your connected devices and lets you know if they are vulnerable to security risks. You can also download several free security apps for your smartphone or tablet.

• Best for: individuals and small and enterprise-sized businesses.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Bitdefender Company Information