3.4/5 (104 ratings)

About Bitdefender

Bitdefender Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bitdefender?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bitdefender?

Original review: June 26, 2021

Bitdefender was easy to install and has been very efficient from the start. Each day I get a short message that all is well with my antivirus and I don't need to take any further action. I haven't had any issues with computer slow down or interference. Bitdefender seems to be catching any viruses and dealing with them before I notice. This is my first year with Bitdefender and it's been a very positive experience.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I called four times to resolve a problem with the VPN, and each time I was put on hold and then disconnected. The last time I gave the support person my phone number in case it happened again. It did and he never called back. Also tried their email support service but could never send it out regardless of the browser I used. Again, truly awful customer service.

Get buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

This is an adware product. It will spam you continuously with its offerings. You could be in the middle of a presentation and you'll get a spam notification popup advertising some pointless upgrade from Bitdefender. It's absolutely not an appropriate product for professional use. Their product also auto-renews at twice the price you originally paid. From what I've read, most InfoSec professionals recommend just using Windows Defender, included with Windows for free, adding uBlock Origin, and scanning any suspicious files with Virus Total. I haven't seen Bitdefender mentioned in any real recommendations.

Original review: July 31, 2021

They emailed me on July 15, 2021 to renew my subscription which I did through Paypal for $96.06. On July 19, 2021 they billed my paypal account again for the same subscription and charged me $160.11. When I complained, they didn't want to refund one of the charges. They wanted to extend the subscription through 2023. They said I enrolled in their automatic renewal. (What?) I can't do business with a company that pulls a fast one over on me. I'll take my business (and money) to a company with legitimate practices. I am contesting the charges with paypal and am closing my paypal account as a result of this. Bitdefender is trying to make me an offer I can't refuse or cancel.

Original review: July 26, 2021

Don't do it! I purchased Bitdefender anti-virus and within one week their program made it impossible for me to delete files, and it made it impossible to move files from one location to another location. It blocked me from navigating files and told me that I am not authorized to move a file. I used admin and all kinds of tricks to override their prohibition, until I finally gave up. I had to install another anti-virus software (free by the way) to force delete their garbage from my computer. I lost the files that bitdefender changed and made impossible to open or use. I don't remember how I finally got rid of bitdefender from my computer but it's gone... Almost.

What isn't gone is their annual automatic debit for renewal. I cancelled the renewal of their automatic subscription, but it didn't cancel. No, of course not. It (they) tried to debit my account for $98.00 and my account rejected it ONLY because my account (that account) had less than $98.00 in it. So, when I got a notification that bitdefender (cocombitdefendercom) tried to debit my account for $98.00 dollars, I called my card company and had my card cancelled and applied for a new card. So, that should take care of that problem of bitdefender getting my money.

And then, there's the problem of logging in to my bitdefender account. Apparently, from what I have read in these reports, people can't log in to their account, or they can't turn off the auto renewal. Well, I can't log into my account. I tried twice but the password "is wrong." The password isn't wrong. I keep IMMACULATE records of all of my passwords on everything I use. I have them all typed out in alphabetical order on 5 sheets of paper A-Z. I KNOW that my password for bitdefender wasn't wrong. So, I played along... I requested a new password reset. They sent me a link. So, I attempted to reset my password and SHAZZAAAM! Their login page told me I tried too many times and that I could try again in 15 minutes. No, that's plenty. I'm not playing anymore. Game over.

So, now my bank card is no longer active, so these ripoff scam artists can go eat cracked corn, because I don't care. They aren't getting another dime from me. If they try it again, and if they somehow hack into any bank account or card that I DON'T have on file with them (because I only used one card with them [the one I cancelled and applied for a new one]), I will be reporting these ** to the Attorneys General Office and filing a complaint against them. Now, you do what you want. The chances are you already had a bad experience with them, which is why you're here. If not, and if you are thinking about buying a bitdefender subscription, or if you are thinking about trying them out for free just to see what happens. Good luck! I warned you!

Original review: July 14, 2021

This may be an OK anti-virus but it is not compatible with all software. I have a small CNC program I need for my business. Every change in Bitdefender blocks it from running again. I have to uninstall Bitdefender from my computer to use my software and then reinstall. A total waste of time. Their tech support is entirely robot run and cannot address any specific issues. It only generates a stream of useless, generic, time wasting suggestions. Tech support is terrible you cannot deal with a human being. When I first started using Bitdefender they were a smaller company and could actually provide support. Not anymore. If they cannot solve this problem in the next few days I will get a refund and use another product.

Original review: July 8, 2021

I went to their website in good faith to pay for and download the Anti-Virus Software. After paying for the one year subscription I was shocked to see I was purposely locked into a webpage with no escape by this company. Their goal here after confirming your purchase is not offer you the download or any information what-so-ever. They purposely do not give you a way to leave the page short of shutting down Google altogether. This is because they offer you a $29 fee to automatically install the Virus Software for you. They make it purposely vague so you think you may have already paid and all you have to do is click that $29 since it is the only place on the screen you can click.

There is no Opt out button or No Thanks button. This is scary behavior form a virus protection company to see those who are supposed to be protecting you trying to scam you for another $29. That page should have an Opt out button and then take you directly to the download page. Worse, I waiting for 15 minutes and nothing happened on that page, so I closed Google and checked my emails to see if maybe they sent it to me. There was no email. 1 hour later I had to call support just to get what I had paid for. I had to ask the guy to send me the email which allows you to get the software you paid for. This company is scary bad. This is horrible behavior and makes one wonder if they are willing to do a scam like this. How do we not know they are the ones creating the viruses just to sell the anti virus software. BE Very Wary of this company. I am positive when my 1 yr subscription is up I will move on based on this alone.

Original review: June 30, 2021

My Bitdefender annual subscription auto-renewed with absolutely no notice. It's also impossible to turn off auto-renewal in your account. So, I called them to cancel auto-renew and I was put on hold indefinitely until I finally became frustrated enough to hang up. I've had to call my bank to dispute the charge. I've also had my bank block any further charges from this company. I will not be doing business with them again.

Original review: June 3, 2021

Used Bitdefender for years but lately I've given up on them improving anything. Box2 subscription which is cloud service costs more than Netgear armor which is basically same experience of protection..Why? They removed vault options without notification making me decrypt GB of data manually with program, removed VPN to its own app which is buggy and crashes or has connect issues. Hotspot shield used by others don't have this issue. It basically seems to sit on pc and that's about it, it did not detect my camera or mic was being used by chrome or dells pc doctor. It misses accurately if devices are actually ok or not via cloud service with box 2, box was always crashing, resets needed, you name it. It's probably why they don't sell them anymore right now. I actually showed them once it was routing traffic to VA and using AWS cloud services basically leaking out its own encrypted channel.

Total Security scans fast but other than its Auto mode you only have a shred tool or optimize and that is it, Kaspersky, Norton, TrendMicro and others have more to offer and that says a lot since I left Norton's core option years ago with it being worse than bitdefender's. Basically top two products today are Bitdefender and Kaspersky and so far Bitdefender taking over netgear products making lagging networks or acting as a middle man cloud gateway and several issues has made it a maybe to me to use. Some of the best programmers in the world come from Russia, and Bitdefender hires them in Romania!

Original review: May 28, 2021

Bitdefender refuses to renew my Box subscription unless I provide their payment processor 2CHECKOUT a faxed photo copy of credit card and photo ID. Hundreds of dollars on worthless system. Been a Bitdefender customer for years. You have to question the competence and integrity of a company that can’t process credit cards. Submitted 3 different cards, after the rejections called all 3 banks to see if there was a problem, banks said no problem on their end. Bitdefender essentially denying me access to a system I purchased in good faith and been using for years. Spend your money on Norton or some other reputable company!

Original review: May 25, 2021

Bitdefender's heuristic scanning results in false positives against legitimate software, which is not unusual. What is unusual is that it also stomps .DAT files accessed by that software. This results in corruption of Pervasive/Actian/Btrieve database files resulting in massive record loss and the need to repair or replace the .DAT files.

Bitdefender author review by Shelley Elmblad

Headquartered in Bucharest, Romania, Bitdefender is an internet security company. Its partners and subsidiaries provide anti-virus and anti-spyware software for consumers and businesses. Bitdefender was founded in 2001.

• Applications: Bitdefender’s products include web protection, firewall, parental controls, encryption software and more. These can protect your computer or business network against viruses, spam, adware and more.

• Protect all smart devices: These days, your PC and laptop are not the only vulnerable devices in your home. The Bitdefender BOX uses hardware, cloud technology and software to protect all of your smart home devices like smart TVs, smartphones, Wi-Fi thermostats, baby monitors and any other device or appliance that connects to the internet.

• Business solutions: Bitdefender has many options for businesses of all sizes. You can protect all endpoints and data centers by fortifying your infrastructure. You can also detect persistent threats and identify and avoid cyber attacks.

• Trial downloads: You can try most of Bitdefender’s software solutions for free for 30 days. Just visit their website to download your trial version.

• Free antivirus software: Bitdefender has several free software solutions including the Home Scanner, which detects all of your connected devices and lets you know if they are vulnerable to security risks. You can also download several free security apps for your smartphone or tablet.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Bitdefender Company Information