3.43/5
Based on 21 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

21 Bitdefender Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

At this time, not able to install. I bought this item from eBay. The person that sell this Defender, sent me a password to get it install. I have been for the last week or more and no way to make it work. The way Bitdefender today no CD and instruction were ease to install. Please do not buy from Bitdefender. They do not back you. I did contact Bitdefender. They said, "Ask your seller for help." I guess I lost my money. Anyway I am trying to get my money from eBay, I know they never fail.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I installed Bitdefender internet security and the VPN. First, my computer is so slow, web pages time out. When I do a full scan, I always get an error and it never completes. When I tried to install the program on my second device, the link only went to a 14-day trial version. I emailed customer service. After 3 days, I got a "sorry for the delay" email. After 4 days - still no response! Don't understand why PC Mag gave it such a good rating. It stinks.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I have had this product installed for over two weeks. I replaced AVG Internet Security with Bitdefender Total Security and I am very pleased. Installation went flawlessly and support information answered all my questions. This product is rated high within the Industry and I highly recommend it.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

NOT to be trusted. I purchased the total security product in 2018. In December it automatically renewed (which I was not aware of) and they advised that the renewal costs of £70 had been taken from my account by email. I noted that the cost was different from those quoted online and had also been discounted. I then proceeded to request a refund - as entitled. I was advised I could, but not before Bitdefender trying to sell me it at a discounted price. I then advised them that the account from which the money was taken was closed and therefore gave them an alternative one to return it to. I had not received the refund more than 7 days later allowing for the bank holidays. I contacted Bitdefender who advised that banks have been known to hold money. I knew this not to be true as I had already confirmed with the bank that it would be returned within 48 hrs to the sender when an account is closed.

In summary I have sent numerous emails and had numerous calls with the company advising me to contact my bank and that the refund was made and pretty much that's that. Essentially they are saying the refund problem is mine! I had to repeat my situation so many times and it baffled me that they kept saying the same thing, yet no understanding of what had happened or making any attempt to check the details and trace the "apparent refund". They even stated that I had made a Visa dispute and therefore nothing they could do (note this was on the last call- they never said this before) - this was a lie. I am not sure if they even attempted a refund.

Be very wary of this company and their billing agency Avangate. They will take your money and not necessarily at the cost of the product quoted online. It's shameful for such an apparently good product that they have very poor customer service (they did not listen at all and lied) and are clearly irresponsible, malicious and devious to hold onto money that is yours.

I would say after this experience do not buy Bitdefender at all - go for an equally good internet security package that has good customer service. Check autorenewal status and change it accordingly and for any comments regarding safeguarding your account - the customer is the one that feeds the business - it's the loyalty and good word/experience that keeps businesses going. It makes sense that a business act in kind. It's a joke that it prides itself on the protection it offers to customers, yet it takes your money sneakily and without embarrassment. The after service leaves me feeling angry and the whole experience leaves a bitter taste. AVOID.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Installed the program about 3 days ago. Since then I've experienced a massive decrease in PC speed and a increase in CPU usage. At one of my devices it even deleted my Outlook profile (pst) which prevented me from doing my work for an entire day. I'm at this very moment still trying to fix the ** it caused me. I would not recommend this program to anybody. I will not be using this for any of my devices. Anyone considering this should try any free software instead. I had fewer problems with Windows Defender. Don't waste your time!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bitdefender?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I purchased the five computer antivirus protection in Dec. 2017 for one year. During that time it was only installed on three computers, one computer crashed and replaced computer, IT tech uninstalled program on another computer and the third computer was also was replaced. Bitdefender was not reinstalled and hasn't been in use for about six months.

Dec 2018 my bank called to notify me of some charges on my credit card. At that time it was noticed Bitdefender charged my card $98.52. A search of junk email found a notice of renewal. This charge was unauthorized. An email was sent to Bitdefender asking for the charge to be credited back. I received an email stating to be patient as it is a busy time of year and the matter would be resolved. Then I received another email offering a discount on their services. Replied with, "Please resolve this matter in a timely fashion." This time I received the exact same email as the first time stating it is a busy time of year. My credit card company has opened up a case to dispute the charges.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

After not getting far with the installation on my PC and Smartphone I wrote the following email to Support: "I have purchased a 5 device Bitdefender Antivirus Plus on 6 Jan 2019. I have downloaded the installation package from Bitdefender Central as instructed. I ran the .exe file: bitdefender_windows_244917e2-f4df-4213-b2a6-af16d65449f7 and I ended up with a Bitdefender Security icon, which opens up a strange display window. See attached No.1.

Then I sent a link to my smartphone to install Bitdefender on it and things became even stranger. In Bitdefender Central I have the two following displays now. See attached No.2 and No.3. Although Bitdefender Central informs me that my Huawei KII-L22 is protected, there seem to be no way to check this on my phone! At the same time my Desktop is “At risk” and there is nothing I can do about it. The “help” so far I received consists of copies from the Bitdefender User Guide, which I already have. All in all, as the actual program, including the “help” I received seems to be useless, I would like to cancel my subscription to Bitdefender and ask you to return the 84.99 AUD subscription fee ASAP. As of 8 Jan 2019, I received no answer from Bitdefender. Consequently, I have removed Bitdefender from my phone, but I still have it installed on my PC, although I have no idea whether it actually works, as there seems to be no possibility to find it out.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I used the software for a year and it worked as designed. I canceled my subscription a day before renewal and my card was still charged for the 2019 subscription. I contacted customer service and have been waiting two weeks for a refund. Bitdefender says they are backlogged. Providing a refund should be pretty simple.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

This product is amazing. It not only manages to find all viruses, it discovers malware, does quick and complete system checks. It includes cleaning up the computer to make it faster. It check emails. I have never had a problem with viruses, emails or anything else with this product. It notifies me that a virus has been blocked as well as any other item that could harm my computer.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Great program. Easy to run and does not take up a lot of memory. It checks all email and attachments. The firewall blocks both incoming and outgoing traffic.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

They will help you resolve any problem to your satisfaction. I have been with them for a few years now and they have resolved the few problems I had usually involved billing.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Bitdefender provides virus protection without slowing down my computer, and it was easy to set up on multiple computers. The only challenge that I have ever had is that sometimes I can't eject an external hard drive if Bitdefender is running. I have to turn off Bitdefender's Autopilot function, eject the external hard drive, and then turn Autopilot back on. A small inconvenience for an otherwise great product. Overall, I'm happier with it than I have been with other virus protection software that I've used. I started using (including Avira & Sophos), both of which slowed down my computer.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I have had no issues with Bitdefender installed. It's easy to download and install and it easily transfers between old and replaced computers. Plus, it doesn't hog memory in the background. Price is average for good protection, but I feel this is superior protection.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

We've been using Bitdefender for eight years and Bitdefender box for one year. We have never had any of our ten devices compromised and it's a real comforting feeling knowing we are safe from data invaders.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

My final thoughts to the ratings and the overall sales and value performance and also to the usability scales as well as customer support in reviewing the overall test with details to make a big difference in describing my experience is good. To include enough of a real beginning towards others in the build up.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

It's a good solid antivirus product. It's kept me protected for almost a year now, and it's easy to use. It received excellent ratings from sources I trust, which is why I purchased it in the first place, but I wasn't disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I believe Bitdefender did a good job when there were ransom hacks. The company sent alerts, made frequent updates and I felt protected. Price-wise Bitdefender is very reasonable too.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Bitdefender's malware protection might or might not be effective (how would you know for sure?), but its interface and usability is horrendous. I.e. while it is updating or scanning it is almost impossible to do any other work on the computer, and it is not smart enough to update itself before scanning. I have seen it try to scan and update at the same time. And it is almost impossible to interrupt an update or a scan in progress like when you need to stop it and do other work at the time.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I switched from another antivirus. It was cheaper and it gave better service. They even fixed an issue the other company was not able to. If I need remote computer to computer IT support, it is cheaper as well. I DID research and they were ranked very high.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Bitdefender provides a secure "Wallet" for online banking, etc. that goes beyond A/V and mere firewalls. Necessary in today's internet environments. Optimizing and ransomware protections are also explicit. One can easily deploy those tools needed without a comprehensive manual. Bitdefender provides a regular review of threats and blocks. Updates to all areas seem timely... something one should not have to worry about with any software. Kudos to Bitdefender!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I installed Norton on the two PCs and I tried to update my Bit defender after Bit defender kept nagging me to upgrade to the latest free version which was very buggy. The latest version would not install and refused to register and I could not revert back to the previous version. Tech support was totally unresponsive.

Bitdefender expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Headquartered in Bucharest, Romania, Bitdefender is an internet security company. Its partners and subsidiaries provide anti-virus and anti-spyware software for consumers and businesses. Bitdefender was founded in 2001.

• Applications: Bitdefender’s products include web protection, firewall, parental controls, encryption software and more. These can protect your computer or business network against viruses, spam, adware and more.

• Protect all smart devices: These days, your PC and laptop are not the only vulnerable devices in your home. The Bitdefender BOX uses hardware, cloud technology and software to protect all of your smart home devices like smart TVs, smartphones, Wi-Fi thermostats, baby monitors and any other device or appliance that connects to the internet.

• Business solutions: Bitdefender has many options for businesses of all sizes. You can protect all endpoints and data centers by fortifying your infrastructure. You can also detect persistent threats and identify and avoid cyber attacks.

• Trial downloads: You can try most of Bitdefender’s software solutions for free for 30 days. Just visit their website to download your trial version.

• Free antivirus software: Bitdefender has several free software solutions including the Home Scanner, which detects all of your connected devices and lets you know if they are vulnerable to security risks. You can also download several free security apps for your smartphone or tablet.

• Best for: individuals and small and enterprise-sized businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
    Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Bitdefender Company Information