2.90/5

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Bitdefender

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Bitdefender Reviews

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I purchased Bit Defender for my son's laptop on Sept 3, 2019 based on (what was obviously paid for) high rankings by PC Magazine for their product and the reasonable price that was advertised -- $42. Once I purchased the product, however, I was informed that to download the product, I would have to pay an additional $32. WTF??

A day later, my son's laptop was malfunctioning and unable to be repaired. I called Bit Defender and explained the details and asked for a refund, because we had already purchased a new laptop that had free anti-virus software for the first 6 months. I was told that my request would be forwarded to the appropriate department and they would decide whether or not a refund was in order. Three weeks later CRICKETS. So I called Capital One and asked that they get involved to help this scam company give me my refund. Do NOT use this scam company's products!!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

My computer was jacked up and I took it to a repair shop. Their description of the problem was exactly the following "Bitdefender installed 500 gh of files and corrupted Windows OS. The program definitely did not work seamlessly like computer protection should and was expensive. Also, their Tech Support is overseas and you can hardly understand them and they can hardly understand you

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

It's tough to tell if the software works. I can say in a year with three devices it has not caught or blocked any suspicious software, not sped up computer. It does require a large amount of CPU processing. The main complaint is pricing. It's a low price to begin, but it automatically sets up auto renewal, does not send a notice, and does not give any options to cancel. The renewal fee is three time more expensive. Trying to cancel but haven't been able to. If it feels like a scam...find something more credible.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

Kills the ability to browse the web (!) and maintain connections. You REALLY need to do a search for: Webpages won’t load since installing Bitdefender. There are THOUSANDS of people who’ve been ‘protected’ from going online and browsing! I can’t even properly load saved webpages from my local drives! Customer support is slow and pretty much useless. DO NOT believe the hype of paid reviewers on this or any site. BiteDefender BITES.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Bitdefender doesn't actually detect online threats - it blocks EVERY URL and leaves it to the user to accept the risk. Even sites that have been added to the exclusion list sometimes keep getting blocked, causing the user to continue overriding the block. I had a paid subscription for a year before realizing that I was throwing money away. It also attempted to remove a very common Autodesk product from my computer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bitdefender?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

I discontinued Bitdefender a year ago because it was glitchy and never updated properly. I disabled auto billing and discontinued the product. I just discovered I was auto billed $68CDN for a product that is no longer on my computer! Don't deal with this company. I think they are scam artists. I am NOT HAPPY.

Original review: July 28, 2019

A complete waste of time. I wanted to install this on an older system, so first it downloads the 400 mb file. Then it checks for softwares it needs to install and says I need to install IE10, okay, so I go ahead and install that however it resets the process so now I have to download again. No worries I am a patient man, then it installs and tells me to restart to finish installing. After I restart and it is installing, it gets stuck at 62% and says installation error, process rollback! So I'm at square 1 again. I decided to give it a third try (yes because I'm stupid I guess). It downloads the 400 mb file again, for the third time now, while I'm just hoping with fingers crossed that it works this time but what do you know! The installation failed again now for the third time.

Maybe the software works good when it's setup, maybe it's the best free anti virus out there, but the installation process is a nutjob, like, why not download what you need first! Then try and install it, that way if the process fails, people aren't stuck in an endless loop of downloading the same file over and over again. Thirty minutes of my life I will never get back. Please try something else, just from the installation process I can tell this is just a load of crap. Utterly useless.

Original review: July 8, 2019

A virus attacked my browser software and locked the screen up. I switched to my other browser and run a scan for virus contamination.... Bitdefender's scan showed no virus or other problems. All this time I had a screen locked up and unusable! Very unhappy with this product. Cancelled the service, and will never use again. I had this service only two months and when I asked for a refund, was refused. Very poor customer service.

Original review: July 8, 2019

Bitdefender Total Security is causing my laptop to lose connection to the internet. It happens after being connected fine for over an hour, and then it loses connection. I reported this 5 weeks ago to their support people. New support people reply to me after about 3 or 4 days… and most suggest updating the network card driver (even though I have done this weeks ago… and also told them) and just keep stringing me along with stupid suggestions instead of trying to sort the issue out. I have had to completely uninstall Bitdefender and at least my laptop does not lose connection to the internet. I am now searching for more reliable protection software. Terrible support. My Ticket number is **.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I've only used this for about a 3 weeks. Initially I liked it very much, process wise, I still like it. The problem is some malware which suddenly is on my computer that had not appeared with Norton. My issue at this point is a request for support from Bitdefender and all I have received is two emails in two days, stating they are reviewing my request. I bought another product to solve my issue, as I await for a response, if they do. Got deep discount on purchase, so I will consider, I got what I paid for.

Bitdefender expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Headquartered in Bucharest, Romania, Bitdefender is an internet security company. Its partners and subsidiaries provide anti-virus and anti-spyware software for consumers and businesses. Bitdefender was founded in 2001.

• Applications: Bitdefender’s products include web protection, firewall, parental controls, encryption software and more. These can protect your computer or business network against viruses, spam, adware and more.

• Protect all smart devices: These days, your PC and laptop are not the only vulnerable devices in your home. The Bitdefender BOX uses hardware, cloud technology and software to protect all of your smart home devices like smart TVs, smartphones, Wi-Fi thermostats, baby monitors and any other device or appliance that connects to the internet.

• Business solutions: Bitdefender has many options for businesses of all sizes. You can protect all endpoints and data centers by fortifying your infrastructure. You can also detect persistent threats and identify and avoid cyber attacks.

• Trial downloads: You can try most of Bitdefender’s software solutions for free for 30 days. Just visit their website to download your trial version.

• Free antivirus software: Bitdefender has several free software solutions including the Home Scanner, which detects all of your connected devices and lets you know if they are vulnerable to security risks. You can also download several free security apps for your smartphone or tablet.

• Best for: individuals and small and enterprise-sized businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
      Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Bitdefender Company Information