Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.75/5

Bitdefender Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bitdefender?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bitdefender?

Original review: April 9, 2020

I have included many diversified Antivirus software during 24 past years (while also being an IT Computer Programmer). All other AntiVirus companies are also & repetitively including advertisements with something else for occasionally popping-up to purchase. But I have not at all seen any advertisement within Free BitDefender Antivirus, and clearly describing if a specified website or software when being blocked.

Original review: April 8, 2020

Some parts of the Bitdefender are confusing. I do not understand the VPN. And the payment part of it is too confusing for me to understand. It takes me to a different area that I really do not understand. It seems to be keeping my computer clean from viruses. I do a full scan every evening. We are using this one since it was rated really well.

Get buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 4, 2020

The anti-virus is silent, it does its job without bothering me. Due to the good name of the company I can feel safe using my PC, and not thinking too much about security. Never had a problem with it. The setup was easy, no hidden check-boxes that are ticked by default and install unwanted software. Just great!

Original review: March 30, 2020

After a extensive search for antivirus software 15 years and reading about the software programs out there. I decided on Bitdefender. I have been very very pleased with the software and their technical support. They are right there to solve any problem immediately. 5 stars on everything about the company.

Original review: March 23, 2020

On the pc it is as good as any competitor. On smartphones it could operate more seamlessly. Ie when the phone restarts or powers on, Bitdefender should also start working. However, whomever is the manufacturer of your cell phone probably has their own proprietary software running in the background that for whatever reason, blocks this from initializing at the point when the phone is restarted or powered on.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I recently purchased a 5 user license for my wife and my android and windows machines. I've used Symantec and TotalAV for years and years. I am a savvy Microsoft user having used Microsoft products starting with DOS 2.0. I've seen and worked with the lot ever since... I am a systems engineer and have programmed Microsoft products for many many years, so I should know what I'm doing. I have certification and experience using Microsoft products. I recently retired from Duke Medicine as Senior IT Architect Active Directory responsible for 120,000 user accounts, over 200k User groups and over 600k other misc objects, applications and medical appliances and computers and servers.

I have also been involved with Cybersecurity and worked very closely with our Security office. Duke was hacked 3 years ago through the "Kerberos Golden Ticket" flaw a few years back, and I was on the team working with external government and other security agencies to remediate and rebuild the entire Duke computer infrastructure. I also have experience with Cybersecurity and tools. I thought I'd take a break from Symantec products that I've been using for almost 30 years because I saw via the social media that BitDefender offered more and better security. SO I purchased the product and started using it on my Windows machines.

Immediately BitDefender deleted most of my Batch and powershell scripts because it said they were viruses. So I added all my script folders and scripts to the Exclusions, and still, every day I had to restore my scripts so that I could run them. These scripts perform Windows Startup functions and other Bing searches for information that I perform on a daily basis. I have done this for many many years. Every day I spend 30-60 minutes fixing and restoring what BitDefender keeps removing from my system. It's a disaster as far as I'm concerned.

I have reported this and submitted my scripts to Bitdefender several times, (at least 4) to get this issue resolved. All I hear back from BitDefender is Crickets and more crickets. I have offered my services to work with them in resolving my issues as well as give them some help in working with users who have multiple systems to create 1 single common repository to save Exclusions and BitDefender Application settings. The product appears to work, however the support and customer care is really very poor. I have removed the product from my machines to save my sanity and have reverted back to my previous AntiVirus software. Question: Would I purchase BitDefender again? My answer is emphatically: NO!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

I saw Bitdefender listed over and over as the best of the best in terms of security quality and with the Black Friday sale price being just $15 for a year I thought it was a perfect choice. However after downloading it the popup spam began. It constantly throws ads at you for its vpn, profile, and safepay services (I have my own vpn already and have no interest in the others), while I'm busy doing other things and every time I open my computer. They are not made easy to switch off, I had to look up a guide on how to do it, and even after turning them OFF I still get a few.

I also get constant "unsafe page" and "connection blocked" notifications while browsing the internet normally which are impossible to turn off and many people have complained about. There is no silent mode or critical only mode like other software I've used before. It's insufferable and spammy and I have initiated a refund after less than a week. It feels like using some sketchy free pc clean antivirus downloaded off a malware link.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

My Safari homepage kept being changed to Yahoo.com. I figured it was time to get virus protection, although I'd bought a Mac because those I know who have one told me I wouldn't need it. So, after researching software to help protect my Mac, I decided on Bitdefender. The problems started when they charged me twice for the same product. I contacted them and ask them to refund one of the charges; they offered me two years instead of the refund. I accepted.

Within months, and after the 30-day refund period, the problems with Safari and Bitdefender began to intensify - Bitdefender was not catching these adware programs, which I figured it would considering Bitdefender advertises itself as "cybersecurity". I used chat to contact Bitdefender and was greeted with a rather sullen and unprofessional associate who sent me links to two articles, which detailed the fix I'd already tried several times and which had stopped working long ago.

Bitdefender then offered to send me info on how to collect information from my system and forward it to them. Since they'd already double-charged me, I was loathe to let them root around in my computer. I declined the offer and asked what else was available. "Got to apple" is the direct quote. Unsatisfied with this flippant and annoying answer, I asked for the next name on the chain of command, the next person I would have to speak with in regards to this failure on their part. The rude and uncooperative employee told me that s/he was the only person I would need to speak with. Fine, I thought.

So, I asked for a refund of that second payment that they'd taken. "No, it was past the 30 days, so no refund under any circumstance." "But, surely," I argued, "you can't have a policy that covers charging a customer twice and how that second charge is also covered under the first 30 days of the first subscription charge." S/he assured me they did and that they would not be providing a refund. Then, as I'm surfing their Better Business Bureau profile, I'm shocked to discover that this company has a rather murky past when it comes to helping themselves to money that is not theirs. So, my lesson has been learned. I will continue to fight for my refund and spend whatever spare time I have ensuring everyone knows about this company and its unfortunate reputation when it comes to admitting their mistakes and misrepresenting their product.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

I purchased Bitdefender for 2020. I was very disappointed with the service especially how much the vpn slowed my computer. I was going to choose another company when my service ended. To my surprise bitdefender automatically renewed without my permission or authorization. I have been trying unsuccessfully through PayPal and bitdefender to get this canceled and get a refund. Do not buy this product unless you want to do business with a security company who ends up stealing your money and refuses to quickly refund it. They should never ever have the kind of access to paypal account. As far as I am concerned they are no different to a thug who robs you on the street. In fact they are worse because they have paypal backing them up to keep your money even after they are caught.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

Last year I got Bitdefender for my Mac, I remember turning off Autorenewal, because they charged me double the amount they offered total security for on Black Friday. I thought I was safe this year. So this year I got Bitdefender Total Security at a good price from Best Buy, $20 for a two year license. I redeemed my authorization code and registered the 2 year license which expires at the end of 2022 with Bitdefender. My Subscription Tab on the Bitdefender Central Website showed the Bitdefender license was accepted by bitdefender and I was all set for 2 years. Everything worked, and I was very pleased with this great deal.

On 6th December I got an email that I had been charged an extra $99.99 by Bitdefender for my new subscription. When I looked at My Subscriptions on Bitdefender Central, it showed that my autorenewal had somehow magically turned itself back on and I got charged me for an extra year without my permission. The charge came through Paypal so I asked paypal to stop the charge going through but no luck. They emailed back that because autorenewal was on, then the charge is legitimate. So I ended up paying 4 times more, for an extra 1 year subscription than I'd paid for 2 years from Best Buy. If that's not theft, I don't know what is.

Please let other people know, if you read my review, not to do business with Bitdefender. They WILL rip you off as they have done to me and many others from what I've read online. Sadly their product actually works very well on the Mac, in fact far better than any other product I've tried. The only thing I don't like about their product is that you can't get rid of their VPN. But I have given them one star because they are dishonest. By the way, don't bother contacting their support team, as I tried numerous times and got NO reply. Their support sucks, totally. So you're better off getting some other product from a more reputable company that won't try to rip you off. I am looking into other options once this subscription expires.

Bitdefender author review by Shelley Elmblad

Headquartered in Bucharest, Romania, Bitdefender is an internet security company. Its partners and subsidiaries provide anti-virus and anti-spyware software for consumers and businesses. Bitdefender was founded in 2001.

• Applications: Bitdefender’s products include web protection, firewall, parental controls, encryption software and more. These can protect your computer or business network against viruses, spam, adware and more.

• Protect all smart devices: These days, your PC and laptop are not the only vulnerable devices in your home. The Bitdefender BOX uses hardware, cloud technology and software to protect all of your smart home devices like smart TVs, smartphones, Wi-Fi thermostats, baby monitors and any other device or appliance that connects to the internet.

• Business solutions: Bitdefender has many options for businesses of all sizes. You can protect all endpoints and data centers by fortifying your infrastructure. You can also detect persistent threats and identify and avoid cyber attacks.

• Trial downloads: You can try most of Bitdefender’s software solutions for free for 30 days. Just visit their website to download your trial version.

• Free antivirus software: Bitdefender has several free software solutions including the Home Scanner, which detects all of your connected devices and lets you know if they are vulnerable to security risks. You can also download several free security apps for your smartphone or tablet.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Bitdefender Company Information