2.97/5

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Bitdefender

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

39 Bitdefender Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

I discontinued Bitdefender a year ago because it was glitchy and never updated properly. I disabled auto billing and discontinued the product. I just discovered I was auto billed $68CDN for a product that is no longer on my computer! Don't deal with this company. I think they are scam artists. I am NOT HAPPY.

Original review: July 28, 2019

A complete waste of time. I wanted to install this on an older system, so first it downloads the 400 mb file. Then it checks for softwares it needs to install and says I need to install IE10, okay, so I go ahead and install that however it resets the process so now I have to download again. No worries I am a patient man, then it installs and tells me to restart to finish installing. After I restart and it is installing, it gets stuck at 62% and says installation error, process rollback! So I'm at square 1 again. I decided to give it a third try (yes because I'm stupid I guess). It downloads the 400 mb file again, for the third time now, while I'm just hoping with fingers crossed that it works this time but what do you know! The installation failed again now for the third time.

Maybe the software works good when it's setup, maybe it's the best free anti virus out there, but the installation process is a nutjob, like, why not download what you need first! Then try and install it, that way if the process fails, people aren't stuck in an endless loop of downloading the same file over and over again. Thirty minutes of my life I will never get back. Please try something else, just from the installation process I can tell this is just a load of crap. Utterly useless.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 8, 2019

A virus attacked my browser software and locked the screen up. I switched to my other browser and run a scan for virus contamination.... Bitdefender's scan showed no virus or other problems. All this time I had a screen locked up and unusable! Very unhappy with this product. Cancelled the service, and will never use again. I had this service only two months and when I asked for a refund, was refused. Very poor customer service.

Original review: July 8, 2019

Bitdefender Total Security is causing my laptop to lose connection to the internet. It happens after being connected fine for over an hour, and then it loses connection. I reported this 5 weeks ago to their support people. New support people reply to me after about 3 or 4 days… and most suggest updating the network card driver (even though I have done this weeks ago… and also told them) and just keep stringing me along with stupid suggestions instead of trying to sort the issue out. I have had to completely uninstall Bitdefender and at least my laptop does not lose connection to the internet. I am now searching for more reliable protection software. Terrible support. My Ticket number is **.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I've only used this for about a 3 weeks. Initially I liked it very much, process wise, I still like it. The problem is some malware which suddenly is on my computer that had not appeared with Norton. My issue at this point is a request for support from Bitdefender and all I have received is two emails in two days, stating they are reviewing my request. I bought another product to solve my issue, as I await for a response, if they do. Got deep discount on purchase, so I will consider, I got what I paid for.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bitdefender?

Original review: June 11, 2019

I purchased a 1-year subscription to Bitdefender Total Security 2019 on October 8, 2018 based on the Ad comps. I had a difficult time installing the VPN and installing on more than one machine although I paid for the multiple subscription. As a result I cancelled the install and wrote Support. Support wrote back with information that did not resolve the problem. Several emails back and forth followed which left the situation unresolved. Finally I learned that I could call Romania for live support. Several more calls, no resolution, although one support rep said he would try and extend my service. Unfortunately his supervisor said he could not. I am left with six months on one machine and too frustrated to spend more time writing, and calling customer support.

The VPN it turns out is extremely limited unless you pay a large surcharge. Read the very fine print. Support failed to successfully help me install the program on additional computers. Instead, I get a message asking me to pay for another subscription! My subscription is supposed to expire on October 7, 2019. Nevertheless. the website, Bitdefender central, continues to lock me out if I do not put support on the phone, (see subscription expired, (sic) See emails log on October 8 verifying purchase for a year, picture under Bitdefender logo) and it will not let me install on more than one machine because the site says my code is used (see picture), even though only one code was used, the others did not work. Please see photos. PS Received this error message on photos: "IMG_20190611_17..." exceeds the maximum upload size (5 MB).

Original review: June 9, 2019

They don't even respond to emails. I have been following with them from past 5 months. Yes you won't believe but they don't even look for emails. Only ticket is generated but there is no resolution and reply coming back. They don't have phone contact to reach them from India.

Original review: May 20, 2019

It work great for 3 years, BUT. This week got hit by Indian phone scam. It got past Bitdefender using "Teamviewer" probably through ONEDRIVE. Something very suspicious about how this happened. I tried reporting it to Bitdefender but it locked up on me while gathering info from PC.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Like other anti-virus companies, beware! First, they charge you for the anti-virus, then for drivers' updates and who knows what else. I got rid of AVG for this reason and I am now having the same problem with Bitdefender. They take advantage of people who are less technical and do not know the difference. Now Bitdefender was charging me for a remote installation from 'multiple platforms', which I do not need and I have only one laptop. You think you are getting the 'total protection', but it's the anti-virus plus and then something else. AVG was charging me another amount for a driver update. I left them to go with the other one and got the same issue.

I am 54. I never played video games in my life and I do not use my Blackberry cell phone for data neither do I use different 'APPs', only my laptop, the one and only thing I use to go online. I am old school and I do not need all those superfluous options. All I need is a good Anti-virus which also protects me from malware. Is that too hard to understand?

Original review: May 14, 2019

First it took many attempts to download the product with the help of one of their techs. He had me close many other products that I had paid for in the past few months and years. Once it was loaded it slowed down the boot up time and also shutting down. Each time I turned on the computer it would take longer than the last time. Also Windows started having problems. When when I requested a refund it was a day before any response. Now each day they ask if I want more help to get the program working correctly. It always takes them around 24 hours to respond to any correspondences. After a week of this I just would like my refund.

Bitdefender expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Headquartered in Bucharest, Romania, Bitdefender is an internet security company. Its partners and subsidiaries provide anti-virus and anti-spyware software for consumers and businesses. Bitdefender was founded in 2001.

• Applications: Bitdefender’s products include web protection, firewall, parental controls, encryption software and more. These can protect your computer or business network against viruses, spam, adware and more.

• Protect all smart devices: These days, your PC and laptop are not the only vulnerable devices in your home. The Bitdefender BOX uses hardware, cloud technology and software to protect all of your smart home devices like smart TVs, smartphones, Wi-Fi thermostats, baby monitors and any other device or appliance that connects to the internet.

• Business solutions: Bitdefender has many options for businesses of all sizes. You can protect all endpoints and data centers by fortifying your infrastructure. You can also detect persistent threats and identify and avoid cyber attacks.

• Trial downloads: You can try most of Bitdefender’s software solutions for free for 30 days. Just visit their website to download your trial version.

• Free antivirus software: Bitdefender has several free software solutions including the Home Scanner, which detects all of your connected devices and lets you know if they are vulnerable to security risks. You can also download several free security apps for your smartphone or tablet.

• Best for: individuals and small and enterprise-sized businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
      Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Bitdefender Company Information