3.67/5
Based on 21 reviews that contain star ratings

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

VIPRE Security is an antivirus software company that provides the ultimate protection against malware and ransomware. Their products safeguard personal data and business networks from dangerous threats on PCS, Macs and other devices. VIPRE is easy to install, has a simple interface and is one of the world’s leading authorities on antivirus testing.

ABBB Rating
View More View More

21 VIPRE Security Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: May 20, 2018

I sent the question below; to VIPRE and this answered my question. You are part of BYTEFENCE!!! I am confused. I purchased Vipre on HSN and each time I am trying to use the product keys it has put your information (BYTE) on the screen to BUY. So my question is I have a lifelong plan with VIPRE not understanding why your program keeps popping up to purchase. I notice your codes only take numbers and I have NUMBERS AND LETTERS. So can you tell me what is going on? This package was a lifetime purchase through HSN. Thank you!!

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Received message that my antiviral program had errors and it said I should contact the maker. I then tried to do this Saturday afternoon, only to get a recording giving me business hours Monday to Friday. Meanwhile my computer was locked up with it telling me to call Microsoft. I know this is a phony lockout. So I cut all power to the computer. I then restarted it and had no problem. I checked the Vipre software and all my security settings were set to off. I reset them to on and then checked again to find them off again. The Vipre software was not working. It has been 24 hours since I tried to report the error in the software and still no reply. I Uninstalled the software. I only had for 4 months and installed another company's software. I think one star is plenty good for this company that seems to only protect you 5 days a week. I guess they think hackers do not work on weekends either.

VIPRE Security response

Dennis, Your experience and frustration is not what we wanted nor is acceptable and for that we apologize. We have made updates to our support experience and the issue was industry wide and affected multiple vendors. We want you to know we are committed to earning your loyalty back in the future. If there is anything we can do to make this right, please do let us know. Again, our sincere apologies for this unfortunate situation. We missed the mark and we own that.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I have had all the well known brands of anti-virus software for years at a time. All of them--including at least 1-2 of the best known free ones. ALL OF THEM EVENTUALLY CAUSED DISASTERS with my desktop computers. VIPRE has NEVER caused such problems And, I've NEVER had a malware problem since using VIPRE--now for more than 12 years IIRC. I have referred countless friends, loved ones and associates to get VIPRE. None of them have ever felt bad about doing so. I liked the option that seems to have been phased out to buy the VIPRE service for the lifetime of a desktop computer. I want to find out if it is available for my iPhone 7. IMHO, VIPRE and ghostery.com are super ways to use the net. I pray that all the staff at VIPRE have a blessed CHRISTmas and a great new year. They put out and service in friendly quality ways a top flight AV software. I think it's simply the very best.

VIPRE Security response

Wow, Delbert. Thanks so much for taking the time to review our company and products. We strive for excellence in everything and while we do. Have a great year and we value your business.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Customer service is local and it's working fine for me. Haven't had any problems with the product since I purchase the product 3 yrs ago. I am happy cause it taken care of my computer viruses and malware quite well. I'm very pleased.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Good company. Have used them for two years and no problems. Easy to use and understand. We have’t had any issues. We have used others and had bad luck.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VIPRE Security?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I LOVE VIPRE ANTIVIRUS!! It has performed a million times better than the McAfee program that I used to use! I HIGHLY recommend VIPRE. I purchased it on HSN and It is good for years and for use on many of my electronics.

VIPRE Security response

Stephanie, Thanks so much for your review. We appreciate your business and know you have a choice. If there is anything we can do ever, please let us know. Have a great day, Kimberly

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Have used Vipre with lifetime license on two different laptops. It has been 100% secure. Zero license renewal fees make it worth the one time purchase cost of $100 easily.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I had the lifetime subscription of Vipre on my last computer and it was fantastic. I was hooked on Windows 7 and resisted the change to Windows 10 as long as I could. My 9-year-old computer finally died and had to get a new one and it came with Windows 10. There seems to be an incompatibility issue however with my Vipre subscription running with Windows 10. Maybe after my current antivirus subscription expires, I'll attempt to go back to Vipre with the hopes that the incompatibility issues will have been ironed out by then.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Immediately after installing the software for VIPRE, I had issues opening anything in Foxfire and Internet Explorer. The issues were so bad that I had to uninstall the program before I could use my computer to access the internet. I have never been more dissatisfied with any program I have ever used. At this point, if asked, I will advise anyone to NOT use VIPRE!

Curt,

I am sorry to hear about your experience last year with our product and apologize for your experience. While we strive for excellence in all we do, occasionally we have situations that fall short. If there is anything we can do to make this right, please feel free to email us. All the best, Kimberly

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I received a message that there was an update for Vipre and the software would not let me out until I selected to update. I selected to update and my laptop crashed. This happened on a Friday night but couldn't get support until Monday morning. The tech I spoke with told me there was problem with my internet and sent me a file so he could remote into my PC. I couldn't see the emails he sent and he said he couldn't help me without accessing my laptop. So I went to my Windows store and they said something got corrupted with the Vipre update. They had my laptop for 2 days, cleaning, and restoring it. I also had them remove Vipre and I requested and received a refund.

VIPRE Security response

Paulette, We apologize for your experience. We know how frustrating it is when your computer is unavailable and how precious your data is--for that we sincerely apologize. We have since updated our product and have been reviewed as a 5-star product on independent reviews. While we realize it is probably too late, we wanted you to know we take your concerns very seriously. All the best, Kimberly

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

My previous place of employment introduced me to VIPRE. They networked over two hundred computers and had no problems once VIPRE was installed. I chose to install VIPRE on my home computer 5 years ago and I've had no security problems since using VIPRE.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

They have been very affordable and legal. They can help correct any problem and they review things regularly. They have not created any problems for me and my computer. Our local computer repair/service business recommended VIPRE to their customers and I was so happy that VIPRE makes me feel safer.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Although I had downloaded VIPRE Antivirus and renewed for over a period of six years, I noted that my version was "2016" so I contacted customer help. The technician walked me through the steps needed to UPDATE my version. This was simple and got my computer straightened out very quickly!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Been a long time user, mostly interested in Vipre because its adaptive firewall. But like with most of the established software, it's getting worse every major revision. Latest version is the worst, for example there are no possibility for "stealth mode", because the ** popups are disruptive for both my work and hobbies (such as eSports). For a power user such as myself, this is unacceptable and you obviously are trying to make this into a more "idiot proof" software (and like in almost every other example in the world, it never works, it just gets worse for everyone). This will be my last subscription and I'm forced to move into something else, such as NOD32 which I know from experience can run in stealth mode without any annoying popups and messages.

VIPRE Security response

Hi Markku, Thanks for your feedback and we do take this seriously. We know about the issue you brought up and have strived to provide a world-class system. Since then, you will be happy to know that we are now a 5-star product as reviewed by independent third party sites. We take your feedback seriously and apologize for your experience. Have a great day.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I use VIPRE antivirus software for a number of years now and I can definitely say it has worked just fine so far! I am happy with the product and I see no reason, for the time being, to migrate to some other antivirus provider for my Windows operated computer. Highly recommended!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I am running Win 7 and needed to download and install a windows patch to activate all the functions of the latest Vipre Software. Now my computer runs slower than before. Not too happy about this issue. If I would have known that I would have to install other software just to make this one work I would not have done so.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I would like to be able to monitor what is being scanned like Norton displays as it scans. I would like to be able to set the computer to turn off at the end of the scan (like Norton). I am not sure it is monitoring every potential threat.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I have had Vipre ever since I did a beta test many years ago. I have never had a serious problem with intrusions, Vipre has caught them all. There was one very suspicious email that I called about and the tech walked me through safely disposing of it! I would highly recommend Vipre to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

In my phone there are 238 files and 311 Apps. When Vipre Mobile makes full scan in my phone the results are only between 228 to 289 files and Apps together, why? According to Google Apps download the Vipre Mobile requires to read my sms messages, why?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I purchased new subscription, tried to install it, would not install per the directions. Contacted VIPRE on the phone was put on hold for half an hour before anyone responded. They resent the direction, tried to install again, the software kept getting stuck. Then the product code expired, sent them an email. No one responded to the e-mail, not sure if they opened a ticket or not. Currently in limbo, not knowing if the software works or not. Don't have the time or patience to stay on hold for extended time. Horrible customer service and product support.

VIPRE Security expert review by Shelley Elmblad

VIPRE is an award-winning internet security solution for your home or business. It uses advanced AI systems, cloud-based threat assessment systems and real time behavior monitoring to protect you against cyber attacks.

• VIPRE Home: VIPRE Home provides firewall protection, network monitoring, file scanning, email security, antivirus protection and more for your home computer for $38.95 per year. You can add up to 10 computers on your plan for additional fees.

• Business: VIPRE offers its same security protection product to businesses. You can buy the software for five work computers for total of $120 per year, or $24 per seat per your. VIPRE’s rates decrease as you add more seats, meaning you could pay as little as $12 per seat per year for your business.

• Free trial and demo: You can try VIPRE Security free for 30 days for your home PC. If you need security solutions for your business, VIPRE can set you up with a free quote and demo as well.

• U.S. based support: VIPRE Security is made in the United States, and they offer free tech support for customers in the U.S.

• Easy to use: VIPRE has taken extra care to make sure its product is easy to use. Menus make it easy to schedule scans, find updates, quarantine infected files and anything else you need to do to keep your information safe.

• Best for: home and business PC users who need easy protection.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

VIPRE Security Company Information