Find the Best Web Hosting Companies
Compare Reviews for Top Web Hosting Companies
Read 348 Reviews
A2 Hosting offers shared hosting, reseller hosting, VPS hosting and dedicated hosting. Prices for shared hosting is less than $10 per month. It boasts reliable uptime, 24/7 customer service and extensive developer tools.
Read 866 Reviews
Hosts over 80 million domain names. Other services include SSL certificate, email marketing and website building. Hosting plans available for Windows, Linux and Wordpress.
Read 71 Reviews
Founded over 30 years ago, Web.com helps customers build websites, social media pages, online marketing programs and e-commerce solutions. The company uses designers and writers versed in Google, Yahoo and Bing optimization.
Read 79 Reviews
Located in Houston, TX, HostGator specializes in shared, private, reseller and dedicated web hosting. The company was founded in 2002 by a student at Florida Atlantic University, and they currently host over 9 million websites.
|Network Solutions||Read 253 Reviews|
Founded in 1979, Network Solutions is a web hosting company headquartered in Virginia. Network Solutions has managed more than 6.6 million domain names and offers domain hosting for $0.99 per month.
|Ionos by 1&1|
Read 162 Reviews
1&1 provides web hosting services, email solutions and high-end servers in 10 different countries. Founded 26 years ago, the company handles many services including domain registration, site creation and technical support.
Read 179 Reviews
Founded in 1994 in NY, Register.com is a company that primarily provides domain names. Beyond domains, Registrar.com offers web hosting, ecommerce solutions, online marketing and email marketing solutions.
Read 91 Reviews
Located in Rolling Meadows, IL, Web Hosting Pad offers customers web hosting solutions at affordable prices. Along with their hosting solutions, the company also offers email accounts, domain names and marketing options.
Read 90 Reviews
Located in Pleasanton, California, Arvixe Web Hosting offers a variety of web hosting services. The provider offers free site building technology, an online store, unlimited disk space, unlimited email accounts and free domains.
|Bluehost||Read Author Review|
In business since 2003, Bluehost is a web hosting platform offering website support through WordPress and WooCommerce, as well as on the cloud and dedicated servers. Plans range from $2.75 to $119.99 per month.
What features matter for web hosting services?
Web design tools
Many business owners don’t have the time or inclination to build their own websites from scratch. An alternative to paying big bucks for a professional web designer is to use your web host’s built-in web design tools to create your website.
- Drag and drop functionality: If you can drag things where you want them, that’ll save time. Plus, you won’t need to know any web programming code to get your website up.
- Easy image uploader: Websites are visual media, so make sure you can easily post pictures to your site.
- Customizable menu with auto-populated contact tab: You’ll want these to make your website professional and easy to navigate.
No matter how great your web host’s other features are, you won’t get a lot out of them if you can’t figure out how to make them do what you want.
- Easy access on sign-in: There should be an obvious place to click to access the control panel. Even better, some web hosting companies automatically load the control panel upon log-in to the host.
- Clear labels with large icons: Once you access the control panel, the icons and labels should be easy to read and should tell you exactly where to click to access your email or upload files to your website.
One-click app installs
One-click installs allow you to add apps easily, so you won’t have to worry about manual installs or other technical details.
- WordPress installation icon: With this feature, you just have to click the WordPress icon to install WordPress so that you can integrate your blog into your site.
- One-click app shop: Your control panel should include an option to browse the one-click application store, choose an app that you want to install and click on it to add it to your website.
Significant storage and bandwidth
Even if your website is small now, it might grow tomorrow. You need a web host that offers large amounts of both storage and bandwidth so that it can continue to support your website once you expand it.
- Bandwidth limits: Large bandwidth means you and your visitors can upload or download large amounts of data. Get a plan with a lot of bandwidth so that you won’t run into trouble when you start getting a ton of web traffic and repeat visitors.
- Storage capabilities: Large amounts of storage allows you to upload multiple or large files. You’ll need to have storage in reserve for when you start to expand.
Having built-in e-commerce tools makes it easier to set up an online store. Even if you’re planning on using your site only as a personal site, you’ll want this function in case you change your mind in the future.
- Built-in shopping cart: The shopping cart tool allows users to add merchandise and pay for it all at once when they are done. Having a built-in cart allows you to add this function without having to code it yourself.
- PayPal button: PayPal is one of most popular online payment processors; the built-in button allows users to pay via PayPal and transfers the payments directly into your PayPal account.
You never know what email boxes you might need in the future. You’ll need extra email boxes if you decide to expand and hire employees, so you might as well get as many as you can without spending extra money.
- Support for multiple email addresses on your domain: You should be able to set up email addresses such as email@example.com in addition to your main email address for one flat fee so that you can create custom emails to meet your business’ needs.
- Ability to check email on the go: Your email addresses should be easy to configure for mobile devices as well as for your desktop email client so that you can check all of your emails no matter where you are.
24/7 technical and customer support
You may not think you need customer support at 3 AM, but what if your website stops working or you’re hit by a hacker in the middle of the night? It is known for offering free domain registration to customers.
- Free customer support 24 hours a day: You should be able to access a live person to help you with problems no matter what time it is without paying extra. That way you can resolve emergencies at 3 AM or over the weekend without shutting down your site.
- Quick response times: It doesn’t help to have customer support if you have to wait an hour once you call. Ideally, you should be able to get a quick response via email, chat or telephone.
- Live chat: If you’re too busy to talk on the phone, support via instant message may be for you. You can IM with tech support while doing other things so that you can get your problem resolved.
What are the different types of web hosting packages?
You share a web server with other websites and each pay a small fee for hosting privileges.
You have the right to resell some of the shared server space to other website owners and are given tools to help you do so.
Your website is stored on a cloud server, along with many other websites. You pay only for the portion of the cloud server that you use.
Virtual private server hosting
Although you use a shared server, you are allocated a specific amount of space on that server. Thus, other sites on the server don’t affect the performance of your site.
Dedicated server hosting
You pay extra in order to host your site on its own, private server. No other websites have space on the server other than your own.
Who needs a web hosting service?
Bloggers may or may not have additional pages on their website other than their blog, or online diary. Some bloggers write personal blogs about themselves and their family, while others write about political or social issues. Bloggers need the ability to install blogging apps, post blogs, and respond to reader comments.
Small business owners
Small business owners use their website to attract customers, make sales, and grow their businesses. They need to be able to design an online store complete with a catalog and shopping cart. They may also want to install a blog or a sign-up form for an email mailing list.
Web hosting companies
Web hosting companies purchase reselling hosting packages, then resell hosting to other people who want to create their own website.
Artists and writers
Artists and writers often create a website using their name as a domain. They need the ability to upload lots of photos and PDF files. Also, they may need to install a blog and want to offer users the ability to download materials from their portfolio.
Personal website owners
Young people, college students, and others who just want to express themselves sometimes create websites. They may want a blog, want to embed videos, or want to add music to their site in order to aid in their self-expression.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Compare Reviews for Top Web Hosting Companies
|Host Depot||Read Author Review|
Host Depot was founded in 199 and has been hosting domains ever since. Today, the company is headquartered in Coral Springs, Florida, and provides services including "Essential E-Mail," domain checkers and web hosting.
|HostIndia||Read Author Review|
Founded in 1999, HostIndia is a company that provides web hosting, internet and mobile solutions for those in India. Their goal is to provide great customer satisfaction and personalized service.
|MochaHost||Read Author Review|
MochaHost was launched in 2002 as an affordable solution for website hosting. Now headquartered in San Jose, California, the company specializes in hosting, design, ecommerce and other web services for consumers.
|PeoplesHost||Read Author Review|
PeoplesHost is a Web hosting company that prides itself on delivering fast load times. It also offers a guaranteed 99.9 percent uptime for all of its Web-hosting packages in both monthly and yearly plans.
|Superb Internet Corp.||Read Author Review|
Founded in 1996, Superb Internet Corp. is a web hosting service that has a price-match guarantee to ensure the lowest prices possible. It also has a satisfaction guarantee that allows customers a refund within 30 days of purchase.
|Webline Services||Read Author Review|
Webline Services gets points for affordability and a variety of hosting packages. Customers can take advantage of the domain registration and website design features, making it a one-stop shop for personal or business needs.
|WestHost||Read Author Review|
WestHost is a platform that offers domain name registration, VPS web hosting and dedicated hosting for small businesses. The company was founded in 1998, and have hosted more than 1 million domains.
|Yola||Read Author Review|
Yola is a web hosting company founded in Cape Town in 2007. In addition to hosting websites, they offer website building technology that can help consumers develop personal and business websites.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.