Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.64/5

Avast Antivirus Reviews

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

Hi, I been reading your negative reviews. 99% of them are not paid memberships. They do not know how to delete cookies, or LAZY. Or do a virus scan or a boot scan. I love your bank mode. I been a Paid member for a least 15 or more years. I also have the VPN. It is slower but, I rather wait to be protected than be hacked. Out of the years I been a member, Just once I had a problem. VPN is Great. Now these days. Every website is trying to steal your cookie information, tracking, what you look at on the web. Love the VPN. Also I take common sense, Learn the basics, Delete cookies, Never open emails you DO not Recognize. Never do online banking on your cell phone. Dahaa.

Hi, S.:

Thanks for your feedback and for choosing Avast for your online security needs!

-Avast Team

Original review: April 21, 2019

I have installed Avast after malware got onto my computer, and I had to do a full restart of Windows 10. I already have Mcafee, which costs money just to protect you from a virus.>:( I shouldn't have to pay just to be protected. If the company believes in the customer and wants to actively be there for the customer, not just to get money, they would make this aspect free. I understand the other aspects, but you should be protected from malware on your computer. I was going to originally install Norton, because I've used that Anti-virus protection before, and, I like Norton, but I also know they make you pay, for literally everything, so I decided to try a new Anti-Virus. I found Avast upon my search. It looked good from the logo and the website.

I installed it and immediately was impressed with the user-interface. When I got re-directed somehow to another website, it protected me immediately, and even buzzed letting me know. Not only that, it told me what drivers to update, (although I only have free version so I cannot install this), but I can install the drivers manually myself, now that I know what drivers to install. I also swear my computer was speedier since this app install! This protects me from what I need to be protected, without money-costing me, because they care about me, not just my money.

I just love this product so much! Everything is perfect with this! I am going to stick with this Anti-virus forever! I love this Anti-virus so much, that I decided I am going to upgrade so It'll install drivers for me and do lots more! This program has so many features versus Mcafee, (which I also have but won't do anything because not paid!), and so much more than what other virus-protection services have. It also has good Anti-virus tests to prove it! Thank you so much Avast, you have changed my life for the better. Definitely will recommend!!

Hi, Sophia:

Thanks for your feedback and for choosing Avast for your security needs!

-Avast Team

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I have Avast Premier, Cleanup and SecureLine. SecureLine is working normally. Premier and Cleanup have both been completely out of service for 2 days, starting April 3, 2019. Cleanup simply will not open. Trying to open Premier gets a black square on-screen that says, "UI failed to load. This is embarrassing. Your protection is running, but the UI is having a really bad day." Well, this is the 3rd day. What's happening with Avast? Can't find any news stories related to problems at Avast. Is it just me?

Hi, Gloria:

Thanks for reaching out! We'd recommend running a repair to try to resolve the issue. Instructions for this can be found in our website.

If this does not resolve the issue, please contact us privately with your name, Avast account information, and your preferred contact email address so we can work with you directly.

-Avast Team

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I'm using free Avast Protection. Recently, Avast has interfered with my computer by replacing Adobe Reader with its Avast Browser for reading PDF files. It has made it impossible to use any other programmes for reading PDF files, preventing me for installing Adobe Reader again and actually making Adobe disappear as an option for reading PDF files. I wonder if it is the company's policy?

Hi, Pawel:

Thank you for reaching out! Our software would not have replaced your existing product with our browser without your permission. There would have been a option when installing our browser to include PDF documents. Please check your default programs list in Windows for the option to switch it back. If this does not resolve the issue, please contact us privately for further assistance and we'll be happy to help!

-Avast Team

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Hi there! I purchased Kidinspector and wanted to track my kids, but your anti-virus blocked the soft. I wonder why your antivirus didn't notify me that it was going to block the program? Why didn't it offer me to decide if I want to remove the soft? What's going on? Why do you block programs that your users paid for? P. S. I use free Avast.

Hi, Lily:

Thanks for reaching out! Adding an exception for your Kidinspector software should resolve the issue for you. Please click Menu>Settings>General>Exceptions>Add Exception and insert the file and folder paths to the list. If you need further assistance, please reach out to us privately with your full name and subscribed email address so we can have our escalation team reach out to you directly.

-Avast Team

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avast Antivirus?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I used a trial version of their software as just that, a trial. Later I find that I'm charged from my PayPal account without sufficient notice. I was sure I canceled. $60 for a file removing software? Not anything else than that, something I can do on my own and even more so something I can get other software to do for even cheaper. I spent a God awful amount of time talking with a customer support representing AVAST at a call center in the Philippines in attempts to get my money back and all I got was lip service as they played it down and refused to do anything else.

I then spent even longer waiting after that trying to reach their online reps to get something done, and just more lip service how they can't do anything about the money they took from me. All of this, it's basically scam marketing. Spend a few bucks and get Norton or McAfee or another program that won't sign you up to automatically take your money especially for how expensive this is. If you waste your time with this horrible company you may just end up jumping through further hoops to leave a bad review to warn future victims like I am. tl;dr This COMPANY is SHADY and USES DECEPTIVE MARKETING to take YOUR MONEY - AVOID at ALL COSTS.

Hi, Rob:

We're sorry to hear you feel this way, but would like to help get this resolved for you. Please contact us privately with your subscribed email address, full name, date and amount of the charge, and for which product this is for and we'll be happy to assist.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Purchased Avast Premium security two weeks ago. Today I realized that several programs were blocked and didn't work for two weeks, including Spyrix. That is a paid program I bought especially to monitor my son! The support advised me to add to it to the white list but I need the data that your premium version has deleted! Nobody will help me restore it now! That was the last time I purchased your antivirus soft.

Hi, Mary:

Please reach out to us privately here with your full name, subscribed email address, and any support ticket numbers you may have received so we can get this to our escalation team for further assistance.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Avast was one of the most reliable programs for me, I used it for several years. BUT! Recently I installed it on my daughter's computer where I used parental control software. I was satisfied with the fact that Avast prevents me from malware until I found out that it silently blocked Kidinspector. To make it clear, I paid for Kidinspector and I needed it on my daughter's computer. Avast blocked it and all the information collected from her computer was removed. I don't know what she was doing for 3 weeks because Avast deleted the software silently and didn't notify me! I'm so disappointed!

Hi, David:

Thanks for reaching out! If you're using our firewall on her computer, creating an exception and whitelisting the software should resolve the issue. Go to our website and do a search for Firewall FAQ. The first link that pops up should be article 48, which contains instructions on how to do this. If you have any additional questions or need further assistance, please reach out to us privately and we'll be happy to assist you directly.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
          Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I tried several weeks ago to verify whether I had canceled my subscription after the last renewal. I could not log in and was told that my email was not recognized, therefore I couldn’t verify, but I assumed because it was not recognized that I had canceled. Roughly two days before it was supposed to renew, I get an email, to that address, saying they had renewed my subscription.

When I followed the links to cancel before the deadline, I repeatedly got an error code. I reached out to the support link and never received a response. While trying to find a solution online I found a page to instruct individuals on how to get their email recognized. Really? So this is an ongoing issue and it’s up to the customer to resolve it in order to access their account? I have never had this issue with any other service, and it leads me to believe it’s intentional, and it’s concerning that a tech company would have these online customer issues if it wasn’t intentional.

My funds had already been processed by this point but I finally found an email address to request assistance, and a refund. They were quick to respond, and promised to have someone look into as soon as they could. I’m still waiting to hear anything else, and I certainly haven’t received my money. I understand that it was close to New Years, but if you’re going to renew subscriptions at this time, no matter the reason, then you should be prepared to have someone dealing with issues. Many of your customers were busy working, so I am not to sympathetic to the fact that I didn’t receive any help. I wouldn’t recommend them based upon their customer service, and the questionable nature of the login process.

Hi, Jason:

We'd like to check into this for you so we can ensure the issue gets resolved! Please contact us privately with your full name, subscribed email address, for which of our products this was for, and the email address you sent the refund request to and we'll be happy to assist!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
          Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I have a paid membership in AVAST, that is supposed to renew every year with a 30 day notice to me. I never received an email (Yes - I searched all my folders), and when I attempted to call the phone number they recommended to complain - I was on hold for well over 45 minutes. Major problems with this product customer service. When I tried to find out which credit card they used to renew, I got a message indicating all the possible companies I would have to contact to get this minor information. Guess I will have to just scour my email for the 6 or more possible names they also said might show up on my credit card. This is a hot mess.

Hi, D.:

Thanks for reaching out! Email programs/providers occasionally mistakenly mark our emails as spam/junk. Depending on the provider or email program, it may have been automatically deleted. We'd like to help get this resolved for you, as well as ensure you were calling genuine Avast support. Please contact us privately with the number you dialed, your full name, and subscribed email address so we can better assist you.

-Avast Team

Not sure about Avast Antivirus?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Antivirus Software for you.

Avast Antivirus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Czech-based Avast was the first company to offer home network security and is dedicated to providing free antivirus protection to homes, schools and businesses around the world. Founded in 1988 and headquartered in Prague, Czech Republic, Avast also has locations in the USA, Germany, China, South Korea and Tawain.

• Keeps your online activity private: Avast won’t sell your private information to anyone, including the NSA, CIA or government.

• Unbreakable password: One unbreakable password protects all of your system’s other passwords.

• International: Find a business partner around the world who speaks your language and can provide local service.

• Saves schools money: Schools can get protection from threats and viruses for free without limitations on seats or time.

• Avast SecureLine: Avast’s SecureLine protects your iOS devices so you can maintain a secure connection on the go.

• No tracking with SecureLine: Avast SecureLine doesn’t keep logs of your online activity so what you do online is completely secure and untraceable.

• Best for: Individuals, schools and businesses.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Avast Antivirus Company Information