1.67/5

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

233 Avast Antivirus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I downloaded it to check. I could not uninstall - as time goes on, it gets worse. IT will cause you to lose 50% of your time if you work on the computer like I do. I can track my past 2 months to be a total waste of time waiting for the internet. I finally opened the program interface and searched each setting. There is a setting that allows 3rd party companies to trace all of your moves. I don't remember the info I read interpreted they allow the pro hackers to see and verify every single file they scan - hence why it is free. It give WAY MORE PROBLEMS than it fixes. I had serious deadlines, and did not know what was wrong with my computer. I calculated the difference and the computer will run like a 1999 dial up or slower. I noticed data rates and transfers were also extremely high.

Later I found 2 sites that literally copied my site, registered domain names and tried selling them back - it's a freaking disastrous program! if I count the weeks lost from slow connections - they will owe me thousands. They have to be linked to real antivirus companies. It's easy to become a hacker - Google how. Try it - it's just a matter of knowing how to do it. No special skills needed. They may be selling your info or allowing you to have it free and follow a Facebook format - let the hackers pay you instead - makes it easy for them. This program appears in my experience to BE THE HACKER machine where they charge for your info.

Hi, Dennis:

Thanks for your feedback. We'd like to help ease your concerns about what happens with your information as you security is our primary objective. You can find our Privacy Policy here: https://www.avast.com/privacy-policy

If the traditional uninstall method isn't working for you, we offer a utility here that will: https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/Uninstall-Antivirus-Utility

If you have any additional questions, we would be happy to assist you directly.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
    Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Updated on 02/14/2019: After my review here I was asked to contact you privately. But what do you mean by that? I can't seem to contact you here and if you mean write an email to Avast customer service, well I have done that several times and filled in forms, but nobody is replying to me, it's ridiculous. That's why I came here in the first place. So now what do I do? Where do I message you privately?

Original Review: Have emailed and filled in forms several times now, but no response so far. Why is it taking so long to at least confirm that my mail is received? Possibly one of the worst customer services ever. At least let me know my email was delivered and being reviewed.

Hi, Ben:

We apologize for the delay and would be happy to help! Please contact us privately with any questions or issues you're experiencing, your full name, and contact email address. If it's something we can't address directly, we'll get it forwarded to the team that can!

- Avast Team

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I have nothing against Avast as a product, my complaint is against customer service. More specifically, the refund department. I am scheduled to receive my refund - in 5 to 7 business days, and I'm extremely unhappy with that, as that seems like an overly long time to receive a refund. I mean, they were able to immediately charge me, so why the delay?

Hi, Pamela:

We apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Recently purchased and downloaded Avast Security Pro and Avast SecureLine and when I logged on to the company's website to note the status of my account, noticed only the SecureLine license was noted under the purchased licenses. Called customer service on a weekend morning (10:15 a.m. local) and after being on hold and waiting 45 minutes to speak with an operator was able to speak long enough to pass my contact info in case the call dropped and my email associated with the account. Just as we were talking about confirming the email account the call dropped out. It's been over 20 minutes and no call back.

Hi, Chris:

We're sorry for the inconvenience and would like to help! Please contact us privately with your full name, Avast account information, your purchase receipt for Avast Security Pro, and your preferred contact email address. Please include the number you dialed so we can ensure you were speaking with genuine Avast support.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
    Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I used Avast in the past and had no problems with it, and the only problem I have now is that when I start up my computer, and click to bring up Google, 2 websites pop up... Google, as expected, and the Detroit Public Library, as not expected. How can this be fixed?

Hi, Robert:

Our software wouldn't be bringing up the DPL website. Have you checked your Google settings? We'd recommend clearing the cookies and history in your browser, then rebooting your computer.

-Avast

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avast Antivirus?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I paid for my Avast but the annoying pop-ups keep coming every other day trying to sell me -- If I paid for this, why am I being asked to pay more to resolve things? Just does not make sense. I would recommend that Avast include everything in the price of their software and drop the pop-ups trying to sell more stuff.

Hi, Karen:

While we do occasionally let our customers know about our other products (including our other antivirus software packages, optimization products, etc), these notifications can be adjusted by clicking Menu>Settings>General>Personal Privacy and unchecking the corresponding boxes.

If you have any additional questions, we'd be happy to help! You can reach us privately here.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Hi, I have started a 60 days free trial. After that I realized that my money gone away. I did a refund request, but I dont have the Credit Card that I used to 60 days free trial anymore, so if they will send my money back I will not get it, because that Credit Card was cut off. I have tried to email the company, but without any help. What should I do, please help me?

Hi, Zsolt:

Please contact us privately with your full name, Avast account information, which product, the amount billed, and your preferred email address and we'll be happy to help!

-Avast Team

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I'm using free Avast Protection. Recently, Avast has interfered with my computer by replacing Adobe Reader with its Avast Browser for reading PDF files. It has made it impossible to use any other programmes for reading PDF files, preventing me for installing Adobe Reader again and actually making Adobe disappear as an option for reading PDF files. I wonder if it is the company's policy?

Hi, Pawel:

Thank you for reaching out! Our software would not have replaced your existing product with our browser without your permission. There would have been a option when installing our browser to include PDF documents. Please check your default programs list in Windows for the option to switch it back. If this does not resolve the issue, please contact us privately for further assistance and we'll be happy to help!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I bought an upgrade for my current Avast Pro Antivirus 1 year license to upgrade it to 1. The Internet security package, 2. To support three devices. Although the money was paid through my Paypal account, I didn't actually get the upgrade. It's not reflected on my Avast account or in my actually installed software, and yes I have tried reinstalling. I contacted customer support two times already and there hasn't been a reply for over a week. Absolutely unacceptable. Either give me what I paid for or refund me.

Hi, Yvonne:

Thank you for reaching out! We'd like to get this resolved for you. You should have received an email with an activation code within 2-3 days after purchase once the transaction cleared. Please contact us directly and let us know where you purchased the upgrade from (a link would be helpful if it was not purchased through your Pro software), date of purchase, your Avast account information, your full name, and preferred contact email address.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I have purchased your Avast Internet Security but pop ups occur periodically that problems are occurring with speed, password security, etc. When I click "fix" I am forwarded to purchase other products. Several months ago I tried a free trial of the Avast cleanup, which I am told by your technical department that it is not the same as internet security, but for $119 more I can delete some compromising programs. I thought the Avast Internet security was the whole package and am disillusioned by the repeated "pop-ups" alerting me to "problems". My current subscription runs until 5/27 and am thinking twice about using Avast again.

Hi, Carol:

Thanks for reaching out! Notifications for our other products can be adjusted by clicking Menu>Settings>General>Personal Privacy area. If there are any components you'd like to add or remove, Menu>Settings>General>Troubleshooting>Add/Modify Components.

If you have any additional questions, please contact us privately and we'll be happy to help!

-Avast Team

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I have been using Avast for a while with only minor problems other than the constant pop-ups trying to sell something. After the last update however BOTH of my computers were (are) screwed up really bad. It is impossible to remove all of the software as files are hidden all over the place. Believe me, I have tried everything to get rid of it with no success. I took one computer to a technician and it is even driving him crazy trying to remove all of the hidden files. He has been working on it for 3 days now. My other PC I am going to have to remove all of my files and reinstall the operating system to get rid of this junk. Oh, and Avast, don't bother replying with your standard "Let's get to the bottom of this and private message us to take care of it." I see you say the same thing over and over to everyone.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I am trying to cancel this anti virus protection on my mother’s computer. I unfortunately don’t have any information regarding her purchase of the product and she passed away in June of 2018. When I finally found a phone number to call the customer service rep could not have been more rude and unhelpful. I didn’t get the service canceled and am at a loss how to do that without an order number.

Hi, Laurie:

Thanks for reaching out! Our deepest condolences on the loss of your mother.

We'd like to help get this resolved for you. Please contact us privately.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

BEWARE. I signed up to the free trial period but found that once the anti virus software was installed, my PC slowed down. I then decided to uninstall it and my PC went back to normal. 7 days before the renewal date, I emailed that I did not wish to go ahead with 1 year contract. I received an email confirming my request but then they took payment without further notice. I have emailed several times and they just use delaying tactics. The last email said I needed a letter from my bank on their headed paper confirming they were not dealing with this dispute. As if a bank is ever going to do that!

Hi, Linda:

Thanks for reaching out! We'd like to address both of your concerns. Our software was designed to be light on resources, so we would like to get more information about this. Please contact us privately with more details.

We'd also like to help get the billing issue resolved. Please contact us privately with which product, the amount charged, your full name, and your preferred contact email address and we'll be happy to help.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

So, today I turned on my PC and what do I see?! I have Avast Free Antivirus!!! HOW?? I NEVER installed it! It was not there yesterday when I turned my PC off! I never asked for it and don't need it! So somehow it made its way to my PC and was set to install on next start up! And normally I complete full format of all hard drives and a clean install of windows every 3 to 4 month! I am very careful with what I do, how I do, I use VPN, have antivirus, when I install something, I double check all the tick boxes and so on! This Avast is the first virus that I know (in last 15 years or so) that made it to my PC!

I would like to understand how this software made it to my PC?! I know for a fact I did not install it! And I did not install any other software yesterday that could have Avast hidden in the installation file! Actually, I haven't installed ANY software for last several weeks! To say that I am pissed off does not even start to describe how I feel! Now I have to format my hard drives and reinstall my Windows 10 + all the softs I need! So far I asked this question on Avast forum, but no official answer!

I tried to uninstall it, but no luck as it says system can't access path; I downloaded uninstall tool from Avast, started PC in safe mode, run the uninstall tool as an admin but same (or pretty much the same error)! Looked at folder settings and they are all greyed out- I can't change them! By definition a computer virus is a malicious software program loaded onto a user's computer without the user's knowledge and performs malicious actions. So Avast Antivirus from my point of view is actually a virus! I do understand it's not the case, but I never asked for it, so for me it is! Also Avast has brought a friend- Google Chrome! Can't say 100%, but I am sure that was not there yesterday!

One more concerning thing- is it normal for this antivirus to change the programmes that are launched on start-up? 6 extra programmes that I never set to launch on start-up now do- HandyAndy, Discord, Web Companion (never had this before so probably another one of Avast's friends), TomTom Home, YouTube Downloader, Perdition Gaming Mouse Drivers and PyCharm. Overall, I am definitely not happy with having Avast antivirus pushed on me without my knowledge! Especially when I already have an active antivirus on my PC! (and 2 antivirus programmes running together on same PC is not a good practice). Still looking for a way to log an official complaint about this, but so far no luck!

Hi, Renars:

Thank you for reaching out! We'd like to find out what happened, as well, as our software would not have installed itself without your permission. Please contact us privately with more details and we'll work with you to get this resolved.

-Avast Team

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Tonight I was experiencing very slow ISP speeds. I rebooted my router and it did not improve. I cleaned up my cache and several other maintenance steps, restarted, etc. No improvement. Then I received an AVAST message of having broken registry items, junk in cache (which I just cleared), several apps slowing my computer down etc. If offered to download their premium cleanup trial. Strangely it downloaded at a great speed. Then I directed me to a page agreeing to pay unless I cancelled. I closed it and uninstalled. Now my internet speed was fine. Once a company uses this type of tactics, I simply do not trust them for anything!

Hi, Mike:

Thanks for your feedback! Our software was designed to be light on your system's resources, so we would like to investigate what happened. Please contact us privately with more information, your full name and preferred contact email address, and which version of our software you're running so we can look into this unusual behavior for you.

-Avast Team

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I run Avast driver updater free trial scan and they show 30 drivers were out of date. Bought the software. Paid $20.00 for it. After paying the $20.00 run the scan again and they show me only 4 drivers were out of date and out of the 4 not even one was of any use. I wasted my money with this good for nothing garbage. I'd give them minus zero stars if I could!

Hi, Arcadio:

Thank you for your feedback! We'd like to investigate what happened and help get this resolved for you. Please contact us privately with the list you were originally given, the abbreviated list you received after purchase, a description of why each was not of any use, your purchase receipt, full name, and your preferred contact email address.

-Avast Team

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Avast uses pop-ups to alert you about something it's detected on your computer, like: Do you know there is software slowing your PC? So I click the 'Fix' button. This takes one to an advertisement to purchase an additional add-on. So very annoying and frustrating. I believed I was purchasing a 'whole' product, not 50% of it, and then repeatedly being nickeled and dimed for additional features.

Hi, Dutch:

Thanks for reaching out! While we do occasionally notify our customers about our other great features and optimization software, we offer our upgraded customers the ability to adjust these by clicking Menu>Settings>General>Personal Privacy and unchecking the corresponding boxes. Alternatively, clicking Menu>Settings>Notifications>Silent mode will silence ALL notifications. If you have any additional questions, please contact us privately here and we'll be happy to help!

-Avast Team

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I used to love Avast. I started with the free version about 20 years ago and then went for the paid Premium version. In the spring of 2017 I started getting emails warning that my subscription was about to expire. I paid for a one year renewal. On the road, I still kept getting the renewal reminder emails and didn't have a record of my renewal so I renewed for two years; in other words, the first year had been paid for twice. I was told this when I phoned yesterday [Jan. 8/19]. In spite of receiving double payment for one year, they would not give me a refund for that one year citing the 30 day refund policy, they being both an agent and a supervisor. When I asked why they kept emailing renewal notices and not alerting me of the double payment, they said that their system was not set up to deal with this.

This all came up when I called because Avast got a payment for an auto-renewal for Avast Mobile and I had them look up my account. On the mobile side, they said that in spite of it being an Avast product, Digital River, who represents Avast Security, does not deal with the mobile side. Hence, when I canceled my auto-renewal with Avast, it didn't cover the mobile app. For this they told me to contact Google PlayStore. I had already contacted PayPal for a refund but now find out that there are three different players.

I therefore have two payment issues, one on the computer version side and one on the mobile side. But it doesn't stop there. Both versions are constantly interfering with my usage by trying to sell me other Avast products. As well, my phone constantly has a menu screen on activation of the phone which says "Swipe to dismiss" which screen comes up also when I phone a company that asks me to use the numbers to navigate. I often lose the call/navigation trying to get rid of this annoying Avast menu. My love for Avast has now turned to hate and I would advise anyone considering it to go elsewhere --"Caveat Emptor".

Hi, George:

We apologize for any confusion. Please contact us directly with your Avast account information, your full name, and any sales receipts you may still have so we can look into this for you.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Over the past several years, as my husband and I read more, and more about the importance of protecting your personal information from Hackers online, and General Thievery... And being Senior Citizens, & not terribly knowledgeable about such subjects, I decided to pay for Software/Programs from what I thought was a reputable company. It started out, that I would use a free version, and when I received emails noting that the 1st one was about to expire, I decided that I ought to go ahead and pay for it; as time passed, I would receive an email that another free product was about to expire, so I allowed all of them to renew to paid subscriptions, then, I had an issue recently that precipitated my making a call to Avast for clarification.

The young man was very friendly, and seemed to take care of my issue, but in order to solve part of the problem, there was a step that I was not able to do on my own, due to my lack of knowledge, so he offered, and I accepted for him to "gain access to my pc to fix the issue", which he did; but then, during this call, I had asked for a refund on one of the programs I had paid for. He said he would submit a request. The next day, we had an additional charge for 52.99 on our Bank. I called Avast. Then, I started reading reviews online about this company... Concerned by what I read, I called again, and the woman actually Argued with me!

Sorry, but I don't put up with that... But I was polite, and asked her to please refund for all 4 programs, and I got the same response as I had read in so many of the reviews I read... The 30-day thing. I persisted, saying I no longer wanted to do business with them, and was told she would submit my request. Then, today, I see yet another $52.99 charge on our Banking!!! I must make yet another phone call, and so I have taken to writing this review; Buyer Beware!!! Especially Senior Citizens who don't know all they should about choosing Software to protect your PC. I also plan to take this issue to Social Media, if my next call yields no/unsatisfactory results!!!

Hi, Cynthia:

We're sorry to hear you had this experience and would like to ensure you were speaking with genuine Avast support! Please contact us directly with the phone number you called, your full name, your Avast account username, and your preferred email address so we can investigate further.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Today I turned on my laptop and opened Avast Premier, got a "Failed to load UI, this is embarrassing" error. I looked it up, followed the instructions on the Avast website, still not working. Had to reinstall the program and expose my computer to harm just to get the damn thing working again. You WILL get popups, even if you pay for Avast. Most of the times I open Avast, it says something like "You are being tracked online!" or, for instance, right now it says "Your drivers are out of date!" and there is always a "resolve" button or something similar. You can click on resolve, and it will bring you STRAIGHT to a page where Avast then wants you to BUY ANOTHER SERVICE! UNBELIEVABLE! I bought Avast Premier but there are literally like 20 other services that Avast offers that aren't included. It's not even as simple as just paying more money, because you have to purchase all of these services separately which each takes a long time.

I had no idea going into this that Avast would SPAM me with constant crisis messages that all bring you to similar checkout pages for more of their bullish software. The most annoying part of this whole ordeal is that there is NO WAY TO GET RID of the popups that appear in the bottom of Avast premier's window. Even clicking resolve will not close it, as once you leave the checkout window (because you realized that it was an advertisement popup even though it appears just like a normal alert message), the message is still there. Call me a whiner, but I refuse to support companies that bother paying customers with ** advertisements. 1 star, and I am getting a refund and uninstalling Avast.

Hi, Cameron:

Thanks for your feedback! While we do occasionally notify our customers of our other awesome features and optimization products, our Premier customers have the ability to adjust these notifications by clicking Menu>Settings>General>Personal Privacy and unchecking the corresponding boxes.

We hope you'll give us another chance! If you have any additional questions, we'd be happy to help you directly. Please let us know!

-Avast Team

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Loaded a free trial. 2 weeks later to the day the computer would not boot up. 120 GB of legal work for critical cases seized... 12 hours later of rebooting and booting and booting again and again I was able to get in via Safe Mode and did an uninstall of the AVAST software and immediately returned the computer to operating normally. What a stressful mess. Avast should be shut down.

Hi, Be:

We're sorry to hear you had computer issues and, while our software would not have prevented it from booting on its own, we would like to investigate to see if there was a conflict of some sort (possibly with another antivirus/antimalware product?). Please contact us directly with more details on what you saw, any error messages you may have received, etc, so we can look into this further.

-Avast Team

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

My husband ordered the Avast Antivirus product - 2 yrs for multiple computers and paid for it on his credit card in June 2018. In Sept 2018, we were charged two more times for this product on the same day and for a higher amount. When I called to report it, I was originally told it was because the first must have been a trial and then the second charge was for the year. I found the June receipt and explained it and was told that because it was more than 30 days since the charge it would have to be evaluated by leadership and they would determine if a refund would be given. We were told we would have a response in 48 hours.

It took over a week and our request for a refund was denied as it had been more than 30 days since the original charge. Shame on Avast. We were charged 3 times for a product and months apart. Then when the issue reported we are denied a refund when we should not have been charged again in September. Terrible customer service. Watch your billing statement closely for this scam from Avast.

Hi Stefanie,

We apologize for the trouble you've reported and we want to reassure you that if any issues remain, we'll get this taken care of. Please respond to us here with the details of your purchase. It will be especially helpful if you can provide the invoice number (in your purchase email) as well as the email you used. We look forward to hearing from you and getting this resolved.

Avast Team

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Avast's service department performed a system clean up on my computer. It messed it up severely. I had to take it to a local repair shop to have fixed. The cost of the clean up service is nonrefundable. I tried to get one but Avast told me they have no record of the transaction. DON'T use this service.

Hi, Paul:

Thank you for reaching out! We're concerned and would like to ensure you were speaking with genuine Avast support when this occurred. Please contact us privately with additional details as well as your full name, preferred contact email address, and the phone number or website you went to for the system cleanup so we can investigate further.

-Avast Team

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I subscribed for the antivirus protection for my laptop and mobile...did it actually cover both? Nope! But the best part of it is that it was subscribed through payment with using my cellphone company...never my actual bank account. That fee was $27.99 monthly (laptop). It was $11.99 monthly (for mobile). AND YET AGAIN ONLY SUBSCRIBED FOR THE $27.99 MONTHLY (WHICH INCLUDED LAPTOP **AND** MOBILE DEVICE). The $27.99 was part of my cell phone bill (as I knew it would be). But after the first payment was made I noticed some discrepancies occurring through its scans and when I logged onto my bank account to pay my other bills.

So, still in less than 30-days of subscribing to their service - I CANCELLED MY SUBSCRIPTION TO THEM BY BOTH THEIR END (AND THROUGH MY CELL PHONE COMPANY). It wasn't until today 12/26/2018 that it was noted that a charge for $21.59 came straight out of my CHECKING ACCOUNT, from this particular company (dated on Christmas Eve -12/24/2018). I've made a FORMAL COMPLAINT THROUGH MY BANK and now they're conducting the investigation on this company(in hopes to get the $21.59 reimbursed back to me)! STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY AND PROTECT YOURSELF...do better searches on these companies. I thought I had until I came across a few doozies.

Hi, Thomas:

Thank you for reaching out! We would like to get more information about which of our products, where you purchased our software, who you cancelled it through, etc, so we can look into this highly unusual situation. Please contact us privately with more details as well as your full name, Avast account information, and preferred contact email address so we can work with you to get this resolved.

-Avast Team

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

After uninstalling Avast -- using both the avast uninstaller AND My Uninstaller 7! -- I have found numerous instances of Avast on my computer, including core machine and USA. When I run other antivirus scans, they identify a problem but my machine shuts down with no warning before the scan is finished. After a reboot, I go to event logs and find Avast updater is still working! It's causing the problem. Well, among other things. I was so angry that I did what they always say you should NEVER do -- I deleted every instance of Avast on my registry keys.

When I finished, my computer was gutted -- no control panel, no recover, no browsers, nothing. Only my personal files. I was able to reinstate my computer -- along with Avast of course and I'm still looking for a way to cleanse my machine. I also found a WordPad file named Avast back end. It was all in Chinese. When I plugged it on on online translation program, it didn't translate well, but it seems to me it was a step by step transcript of my actions on my computer.

Hi Merry,

We wanted to address your concerns here! It sounds like there are problems here unrelated to Avast. Have you tried using System Restore to restore your system to a known working point, or reinstalling the OS? Have you tried running an Online Repair of Avast? Please contact us or here on ConsumerAffairs, so we can help further!

Avast Team

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Full version of Avast Internet Security Failure - I have been using Avast for many years. About 2 1/2 months I started to get a slow down in my computer and didn't know why. I thought it was the new version of Chrome that was doing it. But, when I ran Task Manager it showed that Avast Service (32 bit) was causing my Disk Utilization to exceed 90% up to 100% and making my computer unusable until it subsided. The Avast program has taken the disk into the red and used 99.6% all on its own. Everything freezes at that point, and it has been getting increasingly worse.

At first it was doing this about every 10 to 20 minutes and lasting only a minute or so. Now, it has gotten to the point where it happens every few minutes, and lasts for 5 to 10 minutes. It is very difficult to get anything done. I have tried disabling some of the features, and components to resetting it. Nothing has worked. I have sent in complaints but all goes unanswered. I am at the point of uninstalling the program and trying PC Matic or something else. I am very frustrated with Avast at this point after being a loyal customer for over a decade. I just want it fixed! It is on one of my older computers, running Windows 8.1 (which I have never had an issue with).

Hi, Michael:

Thank you for reaching out! We apologize for any inconvenience and would like to help get this resolved for you! Our software was designed to be light on your system's resources, so we're concerned and would like to investigate further. Please contact us privately with your full name, preferred contact email address, Avast account information, troubleshooting steps you've taken, information about your computer, and which version of our software you're running.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Bought this product in early 2018. I do a lot of research on the computer and need protection. Soon after loading this, I had a lot of website warnings/freezing/ransomware sites continually popping up without Avast protecting me. Soon after, they said I had a "virus" that needed "special attention" from their expert team and had to pay $100 something to fix my computer. These same things kept happening UNTIL I took it off my system and got Malwarebytes premium instead. No more issues! Not until I took this crap off my computer did my computer start running well again. It not only doesn't protect you, I think they infect your computer to get you to upgrade to more protection, then still continue infecting your system. Very suspect company!! Beware!

Hi, Mike:

We're sorry to hear you had this experience and can assure you our sole goal is to protect you and your information, so we're concerned and would like to investigate this issue. Please contact us privately with your Avast account information, full name, site where you purchased the software, the download link you used, and a full description of the unusual behavior.

-Avast Team

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I have been a customer of Avast software for years but I got a new computer with new software and cancelled Avast. Then I got charged for renewal. Called Avast and had to pay them to remove me from their records. Avast Software is a dishonest company! Be aware of them!

Hi, Patrick:

We're sorry to see you go and would like to ensure you were speaking with genuine Avast support. Please contact us privately with the number you dialed and any ticket information you received, as well as your full name and Avast account information so we can investigate further.

In the meantime, instructions for canceling your subscription can be found here: https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/Cancel-Digital-River-auto-renewal

-Avast Team

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I canceled my account with them 6 months ago. I also phone them and said everything. Things was all done. I had been with them for 5 yrs. After 4 and half years started getting problems with them so I canceled. Now they have conned me out for £40.

Hi, Alan:

We're sorry to hear you had problems with our software and canceling your subscription. While we're sad to see you go and would happily help address any issues, you can find instructions for canceling your automatic renewal here: https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/Cancel-Digital-River-auto-renewal

Please contact us privately with your name, Avast account information, and the amount charged so we can help get this resolved.

-Avast Team

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Purchased a special promotion for Avast Antivirus to “clean up” my laptop. Well now I Cannot turn it on - it just sat on my lock screen spinning endlessly and when I use the power button to turn it off it will not turn off - the little blue light still showing that my computer is on but my screen is black and the fan is Not running. I cannot print the words in my head right now.

Hi, Heather:

Please contact us privately with additional details including your Avast account information, full name, and your preferred email contact address and we'll be happy to assist you directly.

Avast Antivirus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Czech-based Avast was the first company to offer home network security and is dedicated to providing free antivirus protection to homes, schools and businesses around the world. Founded in 1988 and headquartered in Prague, Czech Republic, Avast also has locations in the USA, Germany, China, South Korea and Tawain.

• Keeps your online activity private: Avast won’t sell your private information to anyone, including the NSA, CIA or government.

• Unbreakable password: One unbreakable password protects all of your system’s other passwords.

• International: Find a business partner around the world who speaks your language and can provide local service.

• Saves schools money: Schools can get protection from threats and viruses for free without limitations on seats or time.

• Avast SecureLine: Avast’s SecureLine protects your iOS devices so you can maintain a secure connection on the go.

• No tracking with SecureLine: Avast SecureLine doesn’t keep logs of your online activity so what you do online is completely secure and untraceable.

• Best for: Individuals, schools and businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
    Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Avast Antivirus Company Information

1988
    1700 S Amphlett Blvd.
    San Mateo
    www.avast.com
    Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.