2.01/5
  • 1 star
Based on 65 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for an Antivirus Provider?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 28, 2017

76 Avast Antivirus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I have used Avast for many years with good success. Recently my printer would not work after Avast said my driver is outdated and for a fee it will update drivers. Is Avast messing with my drivers? After checking my task manager I saw Avast Driver updater was hogging up space. Went to Avast settings and disabled driver updater and things settled down. Restarted computer and all is well. I believe these extra services that Avast wants money for is actually harming our computers.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

An unauthorized "automatic renewal" hit my acct for $64 for simple anti-virus protection on one computer; the first year had been about $20. The Indian help desk tied me up for 30 minutes and commandeered my computer after which he agreed to credit back the $64 IF--get this--I paid a "cancellation fee." I asked how much the cancellation fee was and he said $79!!! He then dared me to contest the charge with my bank. The guy was rude and incompetent.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Purchased a subscription. Installed Avast. My download speed went from around 30 to 0.9 to 1.1. Avast recognizes that it slows speed on its site and proposes some "workarounds" which amount to turning off several protections. That didn't work. Another computer on the same network is still getting 30, the Avast infected laptop is barely reaching 2.3 now and then. I have canceled my subscription and requested a refund. How DARE Avast advertise that it is "lighter" and faster. Nonsense.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I have been a subscriber of Avast for a number of years. In the beginning, the service was great, but in recent times their service has gone from customer service to promoting upgrades and $$. It seems that Avast is now finding "issues" all the time and when you want to resolve it, you must upgrade to another program. I was totally out of service almost of all of 2017 because they had applied my account to another computer. Now I have been informed that my Premier and Cleanup will be automatically renewed by December 5th. I tried to open my account to update my credit card information and I could not access my account. I called the telephone support number and got a woman who could barely speak English and could not seem to understand what it was I wanted.

She kept me on the phone for nearly half an hour while she "checked" my account, and then suddenly kicked me off the phone altogether. I still cannot access my account. It seems that Avast is now looking for issues in order to get you to upgrade. As I write this, a pop up has appeared half a dozen times that they have detected a potential virus and recommend that I run a scan. I have run the scan 3 times and each time it says there is no virus detected. Then the pop up appears again to tell me I need to scan for the virus they have detected. I am totally frustrated with Avast. If I can find a better substitute, I will probably opt out.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I purchased Internet Security in August, 2017, from Avast and now they are telling me to purchase the Cleanup Premium because there is 100 gig of temporary files that need to be cleaned from my hard drive. I look at my C drive and sure enough, it is 100% full with no space remaining. So I delve into some research to see what is taking up all the space on my hard drive and there should be 100 gig of free space on my 250 gig hard drive but somehow it is all used up.

I only can find 126 gig of files on my hard drive, so what is using up the remaining space? Has Avast really hijacked my hard drive and then wants to sell me cleanup software to get my hard drive space back. This is a scam and I can't believe that I have made a purchase from this underhanded company. I will be asking for my money back and telling everyone I know that this company scams its customers. I will be requesting a refund from my bank to cancel the purchase if they won't refund it back to me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avast Antivirus?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Recently, I have been experiencing trouble auto filling web forms with my iMac Contact Information. So I started checking into a potential conflict with Avast blocking pop-ups. It seems for my entire System, Passwords and Web, "No Shields are Activated." Who turned them off? It certainly was me. They show zero files infected but zero files were scanned. Is this a Scam? Do you have to pay a sizable upgrade fee to get any protection? When trying to login to my account with Avast via my Google Account, "Avast would like to: View your e-mail address" and "View your basic profile info." Shouldn't they have this information? Also, a popup window appears asking for permission for Avast to install a new helper tool. Are they really giving you any security with their free app?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Warning on Avast Cleanup Premium - Very buggy and dangerous software from Avast! I am an Avast Premier and Avast Anti Virus subscriber for many years now until I used this Avast Clean crap. It deleted and destroyed 159GB of my very important files!!! It scans and says it will delete 159GB or temporary program files and cached files and so I clicked yes. Only to find out it deleted permanently all my important files in DOWNLOADS folder. I’m using Windows 10. Very crappy and disastrous piece of ** from Avast!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I used to have Norton. They kept going up every year. Avast works wonderfully for a fraction of the cost. Norton just wanted too much money, and their customer service wasn't all that great.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Try Avast and you will like it! There are lots of antivirus out there for choice, some are free, some are with annual fee. If you like to pay for the program, that's great, and do it as you wish, pay for service, as by paying fee, you might get so called customer service etc. However, if you are looking for free software, then this is the one you could consider, as they offer you both free & paid version, the different at least is you can reach customer for live help and Q & A etc. There are may be more other service or benefit for paid software, but since I only choose no fee side, so you need find out yourself. But, personally, I use free version and I feel I am protected and I am fine with this status so far.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Avast (free version) has degraded to the point that their obnoxious marketing annoyances are too numerous to tolerate. But it's only given me a few false positives in 15 years, it doesn't overload older hardware, it updates automatically if you want it to. If you complain about the marketing pop-ups on their forum, the cheering section will put you in your place.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I ended up going with Avast as there was a virus and they really helped me. Regarding coverage, they are a little higher price, but I think they are worth the price. I really have not had problems contacting them, except they are foreign and difficult to understand.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I signed up with AVAST ANTIVIRUS PREMIER PACKAGE 6 months ago. After a week or so they changed my service so it would not clean my computer. Basically they took out the "FIX IT" option. They lie to you when they sell the product stating PREMIER is the total package you need. It works a few days then after that you can only see notices showing "YOU HAVE A PROBLEM", but when you call them they say that requires a new product. The first time I called I said "GIVE ME BACK MY MONEY", they added a 2nd service and double charged my card. So they apologized and added cleanup.

Now 6 months later on Halloween night, I tried to set up my computer to play Halloween music for the kids and a notice popped up stating my subscription had expired. They agree I have 6 months left on Premier, but said I have to pay for "Clean up". Basically they scam you for 6 months on a one year plan. They do not even offer a 6 month plan. SO YOU'RE STUCK! I think I will make a AVAST BAD REVIEW FACEBOOK PAGE just to cost them money. RIP OFF!!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I have been using Avast for 10 yrs and has never gotten a virus, and is constant on updating information on new virus, and tells you how damaging the virus will be to your phone or PC.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Avast is not bad but it takes forever to download, I checked my settings, etc and are fine. I use the free app so maybe that's why the download problem probably to aggravate you til you upgrade.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I have used this antivirus software for about 5 years and so far it has been good. The only problem I've had is with the firewall. It's a little bit cumbersome to use.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Avast Antivirus is free and works well. I also don't click on unknown links etc - and am fairly computer literate. I think it is the best deal and have used for years.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

So far I haven't gotten any viruses. I had it for 2 or 3 years. I use other clean up tools. So all together, I have not had any problems. I have used Avira and AVG in the past. They were OK at the beginning but as time went on AVG began acting like a virus. I tried to uninstall using their online software and it failed. Had to contact service dept. Two technicians and they couldn't uninstall completely. Awful. Avira had lots of ads, and seemed like it just wasn't acting right. Uninstalled it.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

After the Kaspersky scare earlier this year, I switched to Avast when our IT specialist recommended them. At first, I liked (and still do) the intuitive interface. I did the trial and it worked well, so I decided to buy the premier protection package for a year. That's when the trouble happened. When my trial ran out, I should have been switched automatically to the paid subscription for protection, but got a flashing red message that says "Your License Has Expired." It looked scary so I called technical support.

They said protection was still running in the background so I was protected (good!) but the message said the protection was expired (bad!). Turns out, it was just way to get me to call so they could sell me another package ($80) to "remove conflicting antivirus programs." What?! Best buy will do it as part of their annual laptop maintenance program, which is about $30 per year. A much better deal. Either way, $80 to get the warning message cleared is immoral. For the subscription rate, you shouldn't have to wonder whether your subscription is working because of a purposefully misleading warning.

Oh, and I also bought the Avast VPN SecureLine VPN program. But it regularly gets disconnected in hotels and other public wi-fi systems when I need it most. Pretty unreliable. My thought is, if Avast is trying to upsell you like this, how else might they be cutting corners with your protection or otherwise trying to maximize profit from us instead of protecting us?

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Just a call for help and they are there. Although I can fix whatever myself with their online help. The money that I paid Avast is nothing, if I had to pay a technician coming to my home.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I have been with Avast for years. They have recently changed their numbers so that all you get if you want basic customer service of an admin or billing type nature is a recording saying you must go online (Avast.com/support), type in "contact an agent" (yea, right... What a bad joke...) which then directs you to another link where you must download the Avast Support Tool, then fish through all of that to finally send a message. Then you might get an email about how busy they are and how important you are and how someone will get back soon (Email? Phone? Via the online link? They don't say... i.e.- worthless!! Are you just supposed to sit by something all day wondering how they're going to contact you?).

After a day and a half of no response, I called tech support (who is really just there for the paid tech support) and they did call back but couldn't help with the issue. I had a paid subscription service and Avast doesn't have the decency as a company to allow you to talk with a human anymore because, let's face it, that costs money and they're against that. Even for billing!! You'd think they'd want their money, but alas, that too is only available via online. TERRIBLE!!! I am chucking this company as far as I can throw them. Good riddance.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I have used Avast for years, recommended it to my friends/relations for their computers. After recently updating I'm finding that my PC performance is less than half? I cannot find how to improve performance. Avast - an Avast client is typically running at 40+% CPU Usage perpetually - worse if I'm running Chrome browser. Other than changing Antivirus software - how can I get better performance?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Upon the recommendation of friends and a reasonably strong Consumer Reports Score, I got rid of AGI when I realized I had been the victim of one of the companies claiming to clear your computer of trojans and phishing software and downloaded Avast Internet Security. Avast started out with a "free" download that eventually cost me $300.00 once they convinced me that they had to clean my "root directory." The cleaning process took them four hours and when they finished this preliminary sweep and cleaning, several applications that were working before they took control of my computer were no longer operating. I had to argue with them and demand to speak to a supervisor before they restored my computer to where I could once again save documents in Microsoft Word and access my email account on Yahoo, which were not malfunctioning before they supposedly removed the malware.

I still can't use Firefox because of something they did that I can't explain. They claim nothing they did could have been the cause of the Firefox problem, yet I can't access Firefox without an Avast password. The computer thinks I have paid for an Avast password keeping system, which I do not have and have no record of paying for, yet without this password, I can't use Firefox.

Today I lost my internet connection and an Avast popup advised me to call Avast Total Care about the problem. It took 45 minutes for them to verify that I had an account, though I gave them my account number. Then they said there was nothing they could do and denied the Avast system prompted me to contact them. Avast has been obnoxious and condescending throughout our brief relationship. I only signed up for the service on Aug. 31, 2017, and I have reported them to the Better Business Bureau.

I admit I don't know much about how computers work or why they are so easily hijacked. I am accustomed to reading books and understanding concepts. I'm lousy at dodging technology hype. Is there a book that sets out the baseline of information a person needs to know to use technology these days? By baseline, I mean the basics upon which to continue to update and build knowledge as things change. I thought Avast was the company to trust, but I was wrong. Every week they offer something else I "need," and at this point I no longer believe them about anything.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Note: False Positive on HTml:Script-inf notices. I've gotten False Positives on at least 3 web authoring utilities I use and was trying to report this to help Avast out and let them know about the utilities and Authors but Avast is not set up to work with their clients! Very disappointed in the circular website to phone back to website setup Avast has to discourage anyone reporting problems. I was going to report That this is a false positive (typical Avast false detection). The file is part of ckEditors File Upload Facility and there is nothing in that file that is a virus.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I have been using Avast for years. About a year ago it began arbitrarily deleting files. It deleted files that control my chicken brooder. It deleted files that control my aquarium environment. I restored these files and set exceptions for them in Avast settings. BUT - with the next update, everything set to default and my files again got deleted. And this always happens overnight when it can do the most damage. Avast was a great product for many years. Today it's an utter nuisance. Don't go anywhere near it if you value your files.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I have used Avast for several years now, I have not ever seen them on any top 5 detection, prevention, or removal list for malware but they are always ranked pretty highly, especially comparing their free version to other free anti-malware software. I absolutely love their boot-time scan feature too. I bought their Internet Security a few months back and had never had any issues with the software or its protection. My computer ran into some problems and I ended up reinstalling from a thumb drive Windows 10 that I got directly from Microsoft's website and from a safe computer.

First thing I did after installation was download and install Avast Internet Security. It would not accept my license. I logging into my avast account from their website and made sure I only had one computer on it, deleting the old one, and still no luck. I restarted, repaired, and reinstalled Avast and it would not recognize the license Avast gave to me from their support page to be valid even though it showed I had 218 days left for it on my account. I don't everything but I know quite a bit. I halfway through a cybersecurity degree and about to take my Security+ cert too. We have delved into ethical hacking, VPNs, Network Security, and Firewalls to name a few classes.

I have learned more than your average pc user to say the least. So I called their customer support, they remote connected to my pc and I watched them fumble around dumbfounded as to why things were not working. They started going through folders and in AppData found a folder labeled CEF and asked if I knew what it was. I said I was not familiar with it so they said they would look it up. They pulled up a website on my computer and scrolled down, past explanations for this CEF folder which stated it was normal, it wasn't cause for concern, it was sometimes used with this and that, and went to the part where it could sometimes be used for viruses. They insisted this was preventing Avast from installing properly and that my computer had a virus.

They directed me to their total care packages and said they could fix the issue themselves if I paid either $119 or $199 for their package. To recap, I paid money already for their product to prevent myself, fix if infected, and use other services that could help in the situation they suggested I was suffering from, and their solution was to spend more money. When I explained the very unlikelihood of their suggested thoughts on why Avast would not install and why, they insisted that this was the only way they could help get their product to work which I already paid for. I told them basically my problem was not with my computer but with their software so I was better off just going to a competitor and saving $50-$150. They then said that in that case they would be willing to give me a $40 discount...

I uninstalled their program, downloaded Malwarebytes premium, surprise surprise no infection was found. Popped in a thumb drive and booted up Vipre Rescue just in case I was dealing with a tricky bastard and again, no virus. I ran a SFC/Scannow which verified all system files were sound and updated all my drivers and I came to the simple conclusion that I had before, it wasn't my computer, it was their program. No issues with anything else and clearly these people are just looking to screw over customers and get their money. They had no interest in fixing a problem for a paying customer and simply wanted me to cough up more money.

I feel truly sorry for those less knowledgeable who would not be able to see through their misdiagnosis at best and straight up scam at worst and have been swindled out of hundreds of dollars. This is not a good company with your best interest at heart. Stay away from them. Over 200 days left on my license I have decided to move onto a competitor.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I kept getting emails about re-newing Avast CleanUp. I did not respond by to one and that was to cancel my renewal. Today I get an email and they have already charged my MC $41.99. I went to go their site to cancel yet again called avast.com/find-order and could not sign in using my ID & PW or the alternate Email & Last 4 of my SS. The site kept saying "Invalid Info" and the site just kept returning me to the Look Up Your Order page. When I called the support person kept me online for many minutes and then because he could not help me I got his supervisor. The supervisor wanted to charge me $80 bucks to cancel a $41.99 order I didn't place or re-new.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I re-installed my O.S. last week and have a bare bones setup with minimal apps/drivers installed. I woke up today to a pop-up on my desktop from Avast (which is another problem unto itself) telling me I have "performance" issues. I thought, "Oh yeah, this should be funny". So I clicked on the "fix my pc" button to investigate the log of "errors" they found and boy did I have a hard time getting up from the floor after laughing so hard. I'm running Windows 7, client, and Avast tells me I need to "tweak to allow multiple TS Sessions".

That's a server function! Why in the hell is Avast asking me to tweak my TS settings when it's relating to Terminal Services? As for their list of "user tweaks": foreground lockout timeout, menu show delay, extended sounds... Really Avast? Really? Are you so pathetic that you grab for money from unsuspecting people by virtue of telling them the equivalent to "You have a bug on your windshield, and you're now using too much fuel. Let us rebuild your engine with parts you don't need."

I used to support Avast as their software was okay for a free package, but with the desktop popups happening a lot more now (a virus in itself) and now these flaky reasons to send them money to "tune" my PC! I studied computer systems engineering in the 90s, and have been using computers since the TRS-80 was a thing, and it's with this background that these tactics are seen as a complete insult to the PC community. You want my money Avast? I have lots of it, you just need to EARN it, and not by lying.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I noticed a charge on my Visa card from Avast. When I called to ask why they had charged my card, the recording sent me to the website. Once there, it asked for my account, then told me I didn't have one. When I tried to create an account, it told me I already had one. When I FINALLY got to a human being, he took me through the same steps, with the same results. To be fair, this charge initially was made by my husband, knowing we had an account with Avast and assuming it was a charge I would agree to. When I learned of it, I tried to cancel it. When I received notices, I tried to cancel them. Apparently that didn't work. I have disputed the charge with Visa.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

Lied up front for everyone. I my credit card got my $179.99 back! I had to provide estimates from 2 computer repairs services that stated that replacing a hard drive would get rid of any virus because they told me that still wasn't good enough! This was a couple a years ago (10/15-1/16) but people are still having trouble with them. Here's the story: Had problems after an update with Avast Antivirus and downloading VLC media player that "required it's browser". Later VLC said that wasn't their home site. They were at the top of the search page. Started getting blue screens later. Called Avast and they looked and found “conduit” a browser hijacker. The agent played it up as a high risk to my computer and online account transactions. Some other issues were also found and overly exaggerated. I know now. I asked him “If it is so bad then why didn't your software catch it”.

He Found a folder from Norton AntiVirus and said they were conflicting and stopped them from catching it. I have never had Norton loaded in my computer. I did a free virus search and then removed it. May have been left from that. He found a Comodo file and said that has to be removed. I said it's empty. He said it had to come out. (Later I pointed it out to the tech and he just deleted it. No big deal.) He said it would cost $179.99 for a one year plan to clear it up. I could use every week if needed. I needed the tools and licenses to remove it and the other issues. Well I said I would just get a new hard drive and upgrade my windows since I still have XP. He said “That won't work. It's in your computer!”. I said, "You mean that it is somewhere other than software?" He said, "You have to do this first before you do that." He pulled up an article about conduit on Wikipedia. I couldn't read it while he was talking and there was a dialog window over it.

He had access to my computer with quick connect. So I had no choice according to him. First tech fumbled around and lost connection. The second did a lot and my computer did run faster. Still got blue screens with the same error messages “YOUR SYSTEM HAS RECOVERED FROM A SERIOUS ERROR” and researched conduit and there are sites that tell you how to get rid of it. It is a nuisance not the risk he pointed out. The main point is my idea would have worked! So I called back and explained and pointed out the fraud (lies, misinformation, fear tactics, and high pressure sales tactics). They reviewed my account and said I had service done and have a one year plan so they could make an appointment with a more skilled tech. I said I had service done because your salesman told me all of those lies! He said maybe he was confused over the many viruses out there was all. I said then he was wrong.

I want my money back. I said “So you have no problem with one of your sales reps getting my contract by lying or using false information?”. He was quiet and then says, "Your computer was infected." I said I know it and he said getting a new HD and Windows upgrade wouldn't fix it. That is wrong. When I researched it, it said that removing a hard drive to get rid of a virus is like moving to a new home to get rid of a mouse and he agreed. At least he said, "Uh huh." He never denied that. So my idea would have not only worked. It would have updated my computer for about the same amount of money!

So I asked for someone else to talk to and he said he was the supervisor. I asked for someone higher up. He said there was no one higher up. So according to him I called and got the top man in the whole company for complaints first try! Does anyone believe that? I said, "Right now I'm going to finish the work myself because I don't trust you anymore and I'm going to file a complaint with the FCC." So for now I called my credit card and contested the charges as fraudulent and they have credited my account and are going to be the go between for now to settle this. I wonder if they are going to be honest with this or be like some other people I have met in the past. You back them in a corner and they come out lying. Wish it was recorded and I could have put up a link for you hear it. I did get refunded 2016.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I bought and paid for Premier Anti virus. When something slowed down and couldn't get my External hard drive to work and my PC Avast software. Tech support lady said she ran test and my computer is about to crash. That I needed a whole new Internal hard drive replaced. And her supervisor concurred. Yet when I went and did the research myself it was just a DNS server error and a USB drive reset. Had to spend 2-4 hours doing my own research to get Avast to work again. Why did I pay such a stupid company to protect and clean up my PC, only to have them tell me the wrong info and waste so many hours of my busy day? Unreal and totally made me not trust in their support and company.

Avast Antivirus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Czech-based Avast was the first company to offer home network security and is dedicated to providing free antivirus protection to homes, schools and businesses around the world. Founded in 1988 and headquartered in Prague, Czech Republic, Avast also has locations in the USA, Germany, China, South Korea and Tawain.

• Keeps your online activity private: Avast won’t sell your private information to anyone, including the NSA, CIA or government.

• Unbreakable password: One unbreakable password protects all of your system’s other passwords.

• International: Find a business partner around the world who speaks your language and can provide local service.

• Saves schools money: Schools can get protection from threats and viruses for free without limitations on seats or time.

• Avast SecureLine: Avast’s SecureLine protects your iOS devices so you can maintain a secure connection on the go.

• No tracking with SecureLine: Avast SecureLine doesn’t keep logs of your online activity so what you do online is completely secure and untraceable.

• Best for: Individuals, schools and businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
Shelley Elmblad

Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Avast Antivirus Company Information