Avast Antivirus

Compare Antivirus Software companies

Research top Antivirus Software companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Avast Antivirus is great choice going ahead. However there are different concerns identified with Avast antivirus. I have been using Avast Antivirus. It is safe. We totally depends on computers, tablets & phones and we surfing, socializing, banking & shopping online. So Avast Antivirus protects our system from virus.

I have used Avast for the past 4 years and have been a paid AVAST Premium user for one PC and 2 Laptops. I had no problems until two days ago, when I attempted to do a weekly scan of my PC, when I tried to start I got a message telling my the AV wasn't working. In my situation my Avast just quit working. I called support. The representative I spoke to took control of my computer to see if he could resolve the issue. About fifteen min into the call he informed me there were many conflicts on my computer so he turned me over to tech support but before anyone could do anything I was asked to pay up front for the service I thought I had paid for in 2016. I paid over $179 for 2 Laptops and one PC which I was led to believe included tech support.

At first she wanted over $140 for a subscription to the service since I didn't have that kind of money she continued to drop it down and eventually informed me the lowest she could go was $50 or I would have to live with the situation and not get it resolved. So I paid and was turned over to a technician who went through my computer and after 2 days (about 12 hrs) of total time, he eventually informed me that he could not resolve the issue because I was still using the Windows XP OS. He did clean up my computer, however he DID NOT resolve the issue.

I said all that just to make you understand the first person I spoke to and the Tech should have known the AVAST Software wasn't going to work on my system so now I am out $50 more and still cannot use the AVAST on my computer. If they told me upfront I would have told the first rep just to remove the AVAST from my computer. To me, this service is designed to get a customer's money no matter what! Since the original problem was not resolved I asked if there was a chance to get my $50 back. The tech informed me the payment was to clean up my computer not to resolve the issue. If the issue was resolved during this process all the better.

I volunteered to complete a survey. Avast pushed a pop-up advertisement half way through the survey. This is a new low from the marketing department. If they are going to use these tactics don't offer the free service at all. Not a bad product but there are plenty of competitors to go with.

I have a paid for subscription to Avast Pro on Windows 8.1. The most recent update (about 2 weeks ago) has caused by Oracle Virtualbox VM (running Windows 7) to slow down to such an extent, that it is affecting my development time. Even adding all the Oracle VM-related folders to the AV exclusion list had no effect. I had no choice but to "remove" it from my host OS and the speed difference is like night and day! Unless this is resolved soon, I shall not be using, nor renewing my subscriptions which is due 05/27/2017.

I have the basic free Avast. Downloaded a free trial of another product. 5 min later, says my license has expired. I run troubleshooter. Download "free trial" software to fix but don't get an activation code, although NOW they have my credit card. This has been going ON AND ON AND ON for a few hours now. I'M DONE!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avast Antivirus?

I've been 4 days... Starting with installing Avast Antivirus software, paying $199 to enable an IT guy to do it and ending with a crashed computer and losing everything. Avast is a complete ripoff and should be held accountable. There appears to be a number of lawsuits pending. Time to trash Avast. I have lost 4 days of time, $199 and face much more having it rebuilt... Not to mention loss of files. My order number was on the computer. I do have the original order ID.

Loved Avast for a long time because I was using the free version. Somehow I guess I ended up buying the paid version. It started out at 33 dollars. This last payment was 74 dollars, I asked three days after I was billed for the full year or however long the license is for. If I could get that refunded because it had risen so much and also you have to actually add the license to your program so I wasn't actually using the product that I paid for. But have had no response it has been 5 days. My bet would be they are going to wait another like 12 days or something and then be like "oh we are sorry you have had the chance to use it for 20 days. Now we can't do anything for you". Oh also the ads that they have wanting you to buy all their stuff just kept coming up more and more over the years. Sorry Avast. Looking for a new anti virus.

I've been a long-time loyal and paid Avast customer for over six years. I installed Avast on my new computer and within a year got a bug. I was unaware that McAfee was preloaded on my computer and had never paid for it or used it. Avast said that their software doesn't work with McAffee, and it was my fault, even though they never brought this to my attention. Shouldn't their software still work? Even though I paid about $200 last year to protect my computer, they wanted to charge me an additional $200 to fix it. Terrible and rude customer service. The supervisor was insulting and I will be cancelling my subscription. Disappointing.

I have used Avast on my desktop for several years and was happy with it. Recently my computer crashed. My tech restored everything except the Avast because (she said) I needed to do that one myself. (I was using the paid version, not the free download.) It wasn't due to expire for several months. Also, I had another version of it (also paid for) on my Android phone.

I called Avast and asked them to reinstall my paid-for Avast. The Avast representative found my purchase records, and suggested I should take my computer to a technical company every two months (or at the minimum, every six months) for a complete virtual cleaning. I knew that was ridiculous, so I just went back to my original request. Then he very kindly and patiently asked me if I was a top-level expert in working with computers. I said no, but that I'm pretty good. He recommended that I purchase their $300/2 yrs maintenance program. I said "No thank you", and restated my request. He said he would charge me $100. To give me the link to what I've already paid for? Yes.

I said I would just download the free Avast software then, and he said "No, that wouldn't work". He implied that there would be some sort of preventive on my computer. I doubted that, unless he put it there, but by this time I don't want to work with them anymore and said goodbye. I've now downloaded another antivirus program. THERE'S SOMETHING FISHY GOING ON WITH AVAST!

The sign up process is extremely confusing. The Avast online ads led me to believe I needed to upgrade various types of coverage. I purchased several kinds of coverage and was given a subscription ID. Then I received an Avast message saying I needed a license. So, I'm out of pocket for coverage but do not have a license to use the coverage. Very deceptive advertising.

In January of 2016 I purchased Avast Cleanup. However, I did not recall the purchase, never received a download and could never use the product. Did I try to? Yes, because a box popped up suggesting I optimize my computer so I tapped the button to "Cleanup" the computer. All I got was another box suggesting I purchase the product. I discovered this issue when in December of 2016 I was charged $39.99 for a renewal of the Cleanup product. I contested that charge and received a refund - I went through PayPal. After emailing and calling the company I discovered that due to Avast's policies no refund is possible. I suggested a complimentary product for the coming year to compensate for not receiving the earlier product. The answer was no. Avast's Antivirus seems to work. Maybe Cleanup does also. But customer service is lacking and buyers must be vigilant.

I've used Avast Free Antivirus before and it was as good as AVG. I've tried to install it on the PCs of my previous work and it worked fine. It's fast to open and scan. Now their new version is quite heavy on PC -- the size is big and it's slower to open compared to their old one. I have Win7 and the new version should have gone fast with my OS. So I just used another antivirus software to run on my PC. I'm still satisfied though; it's a good software.

I've gone through several antivirus softwares, from AVG to Norton to Avira. Avast is my personal favorite because it's probably the most effective and comprehensive virus scanner out there. Just a few minutes ago as I was typing this, it blocked a potential virus for me, which is phenomenal. I can't imagine how many times my Avast has blocked so many potential viruses on my laptop, and for that I am thankful. I've thought a lot about possibly getting the Pro version, but I figured the free version's enough to keep my laptop virus-free and I don't have Pentagon-level classified files on me anyway, so there. Thank you Avast for keeping millions of computers and laptops around the world virus-free. I will continue to be an avid fan and supporter!

I got the Avast Antivirus since November 2015 and I haven't had any major issues with it. It provides basic antivirus scan but requires me to upgrade to be able to use other features. I had a minor glitch once when I needed to update then the software will not get activated every time I open my computer - I had to manually activate it before using my PC. Another update fixed this issue, and I never had any succeeding problems whatsoever. Maybe the usual pop-up window reminding me to upgrade gets a bit irritating at times, but nonetheless, everything has been okay.

I purchased and installed Internet Security and the SecureLine VPN before beginning a vacation to Hawaii and the Philippines. My Lenovo Twist laptop was working fine when l left home. I had recently installed Avast Internet Security and SecureLine VPN, so when I was on hotel WiFi or any other internet source outside the main 48 states, I would not be infected or hijacked. Hawaii presented no issues. The first 5 days in the Philippines went fine. I connected the Secureline VPN each time I went online.

The 6th day I was there, my PC was no longer able to make a internet connection. Furthermore it began overheating with about 15 minutes of use, and would blue-screen. It seems infected with some type of malware. I have run scans, but have been unable to find or remove the issue. The Avast software was purchased to prevent this situation. I feel let down by your company and your product.

Since filing this complaint as a service request with Avast 2 months ago, there has been several back and forth emails. None of the suggested tactics by Avast support recovered Windows 8.1. I asked for a refund, but all they responded with "we're sorry, now try this." I finally sent in the laptop in for warranty work and had them format it and put in a fresh new OS. Whatever malware my device picked up in Manila left it useless. Avast was not able to identify it.

The reason for two stars instead of one, comes from all of the years I have used the free product. It's worked fine, I don't remember ever needing to format and start over. So the free simple version may be fine for use inside the USA, but when traveling abroad, I will be using a different anti-virus. It's not worth paying $85 to be disappointed.

Generally via e-mail and online forms. Responses are quick and thorough. Pop-up blockers, malware detection, suspicious sites, questionable "certificates", and all that I would expect from higher-priced software. I use the "Free" version and it's absolutely wonderful! Always up and running in the past 4 years since I've been using it, it "crashed" only once and even then, the customer support got me back up and running. Highly recommended and the "Free" version is this good, the paid must be extraordinary!

The first year it was free. The second year, I paid for it. Now they continually ask me to upgrade!! It seems like when I don't upgrade, my computer starts acting up. Speed, and virus protection, which I find both, ineffective!! Upgrade was easy. Just give that credit card information, and you are ready to go! I try not to put anything important on here, because I am not at all assured it will prevent a virus. I don't recall any information on what is covered, therefore I do not really know what it does!

Avast runs a forum style customer support, with lots of helpers in the forums who are very responsive. Avast is one of the most feature rich free A/V out there. You can personalize it pretty well. Avast comes with both free and paid versions of their product, and both are well above average. Avast is very reliable at catching and removing malware and viruses. If you're looking for a free A/V or a less expensive internet security tool that runs light in the background, Avast is a good one to consider.

We have very little if any control over our accounts. If we need to make a change, we have to contact CS to have the change made: i.e. method of payment, change of cc, or canceling account. The basic features worked good. The big problem is the deceptive way the company tries to trick you into purchasing more features that you really do not need. They do this when it is time to renewed the account and sometimes every time you turn on your computer. I have also caught many false positives.

The last time, I got hounded into trying new features, I said that is enough and had my account canceled. It was good at letting me know about updates needed. If they would stop pushing features that turn out to be untested and sometimes turn out to be bad, I probably would still have Avast in my computer. I do have the free version in my second computer, but will not put the pro version in like I had on my work computer.

No real need to contact them. Never had a problem with AVAST. The basic version has all of the features I need and a fun one: Pirate Talk. The optional features are good, but not essential for most users. One of the best features is it is one of the most efficient AntiVirus software products on the market taking the least number of CPU cycles. You can't beat perfect record and free. It does not always detect Malware however, so you need a separate program like MalWare Bytes to run occasionally.

Avoid programs like SpyBot that install routines that run on their own. No danger to your computer, but can cause slowing or freezing of your PC when you try to use it. It's been rock-solid on every PC I've used it on. The only exception has been users that override it and download viruses and virus-like Malware. Using common sense, this Antivirus works perfectly, with one exception: the FireFox browser. It has on occasion, blocked certain programs from executing on FireFox.

Has some problems reactivating subscription after a HD failure. Avast customer service kept sending auto answer emails after inquiry about my problem. Finally solved issue myself without help. I'm regularly informed by Avast that everything is OK. Had shopped for a multi year subscription. Based on published reviews and price paid, Avast was a good value at the time. Seem to work fine. I've had no problems with function of antivirus as far as I know. My major preference to have my security software working quietly in the background - for the most part Avast does that.

Features included with Avast free version are awesome - real time scanning, reports etc. The paid version is even better but too full featured for most users I imagine. I love the Silent Mode and the outdated software updater/scanner. Free version is great. Paid version comes with multiple licenses for the whole family to use and is quite affordable. Never had any issues with viruses or malware in 5+ years of using Avast! It is very reliable in catching and identifying issues. Great interface, easy to use. Unobtrusive. Lovely product. I won't use anything else.

Expert Review

Shelley ElmbladFinancial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.    More about Shelley→

Czech-based Avast was the first company to offer home network security and is dedicated to providing free antivirus protection to homes, schools and businesses around the world. Founded in 1988 and headquartered in Prague, Czech Republic, Avast also has locations in the USA, Germany, China, South Korea and Tawain.

• Keeps your online activity private: Avast won’t sell your private information to anyone, including the NSA, CIA or government.
  • Unbreakable password: One unbreakable password protects all of your system’s other passwords.
  • International: Find a business partner around the world who speaks your language and can provide local service.
  • Saves schools money: Schools can get protection from threats and viruses for free without limitations on seats or time.
  • Avast SecureLine: Avast’s SecureLine protects your iOS devices so you can maintain a secure connection on the go.
  • No tracking with SecureLine: Avast SecureLine doesn’t keep logs of your online activity so what you do online is completely secure and untraceable.
  • Best for Individuals, schools and businesses.

Compare Antivirus Software