2.33/5
Based on 86 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Avast Antivirus

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 4, 2018

100 Avast Antivirus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I thought it was a lesser valued free set up, it's not. So I figure they will slow down my system in a random style. And it's slow that's why I'm downloading it. So I am going to buy a system, I already plan to right, but it would be cool to get a couple months free with their 2 month trial. NO. They still ask for a credit card... I really hate that, they also data mine you. So, I think I really hate that, but I'm stuck with this spy antivirus already so I figure I give my cc info, they will give me the FULL program for a couple months then automatically charge me after 2 months... NO. These idiots don't even give me anything more than it already. Didn't do for me even after they have my cc and agreement for 2 month trial. As if I want more than one system slowing antivirus on my pc - "free" or not.

Go with a real brand, this marketing makes me sick. 1 star is too much. Avast - remember that we need real antivirus every month and if you idiots would've just charged even for 12 months but get 2 free for a total of 14 - then I wouldn't be upset about you wasting my time. Now I regret taking other people's advice and wish I didn't have your backdoor spy software on my system. You are crap and I look forward to buying a new pc to clean my hard drive of you. I hope you never make another marketing ad ever and get bought out by a transparent real company that's just upfront with me and not your stupid antics. Couldn't be more disappointed, and I'm a person that expects to pay for software. Good software and protection without games. Get it together. I hope to find better options.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I was notified 14 days before, that they would rebill me for another year. Last down on the page, there were a box for a check sign for NOT automatic renewing. I set a check for NOT. Nevertheless... They billed me for another year... And I had NOT used the program for a year. Sorry for my bad spelling, I am Danish... I speak a lot better...

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I have used the Avast free antivirus for years and it seemed adequate. I must have upgraded at some time, because Avast turned out to have my credit card ON FILE. I have never used the upgraded Avast. My wife just discovered a charge of $69 from Avast in December 2017 and notified our bank. The bank also discovered there had been charges in 2015 and 2016 that were never authorized. The bank refused the charges for 2017, thus saving me $65, which was $5 more than the original statement. Avast refused to refund my other 2 years and thus scammed me for over a $100.

I asked that my credit card information be purged from their system but all I get is the following response. "We received and processed your request in accordance with our Privacy Policy (please refer to our Privacy Policy at **)." Avast will not acknowledge that my credit card information has been purged from their files, in spite of repeated requests. Always the same response noted above. I suggest always asking if your credit card information will be retained when ordering from anyone.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I have had the same issues everyone else is having, it's, (mainly), not with the quality of the product protecting me. Problems are with "if there is an issue that requires Avast to be contacted"! I was having to disable Avast because it would not allow me to open a program. That was the only way I could open it. Could I have found the fix, likely, but the mistake was contacting Avast. I pretty much had my computer held hostage. The first so-called technical guy I talk to turned salesman. Afterwards, I was forward to a real tech. I was sold something that just created more issues. Just like everyone else, getting them to understand and correct their wrong is fruitless. I still have to disable Avast to open or configure certain programs. I was a free user because I liked the service. I added some upgrades and went to the auto-renew. I paid my hostage fee and it wasn't repaired, so I'm making a change.

Maybe I'm missing something because I believe I have a solution to all these re-billings and added charges I'm reading about. Likely most paid by credit card. I contacted my credit card company, disputed my hostage fee asking it be credited, (of course with an explanation why), and told them to block any further charges from Avast. Seems to be a done deal, I don't have to contact Avast for anything else now.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

For a couple of years I used free Avast AV with no problem and Eset online scanner as backup. First Mistake: used 'free trial' version for 30 days. [NOTE: DO NOT BE FOOLISH AND 'BITE' ON THEIR "EXTEND FREE TRIAL" BY ENTERING PAYMENT INFO. Fortunately, I didn't. It appears they charge you even if you decline to buy]. When paid version trial expired, red ink warning said “You are unprotected!" ‘Danger!' And it locked me out of firewall settings. -- Sleazy scare tactics. Gave no instruction of how to uninstall paid version, but I figured it out. Just click 'subscription' on settings page, I think it was bottom left side of screen, and click to remove. It eventually*** reverts to free version after rebooting a few times but is not a smooth process.

I then ran Eset online scanner (free, just download small installer, which I already had installed. It's an excellent stand-alone backup for all AV's). There were thirty-nine viruses/malwares on my system that was clean before starting to uninstall Avast Internet Security paid version. Yes...39, after running boot scan AND Eset online prior to uninstall of paid version said system was free of all malware. Also, when still considering buying it before all this, I had called Avast tech support (allegedly in Philippines) to ask about the System cleanup module: it would not execute properly...just spun its wheels. Only ONCE did it complete. It listed the alleged 'problems' and then...simply closed instead of actually doing anything.

The tech told me to uninstall module, reinstall, etc, and when I told him I had tried that already, he said I had 'done it wrong' then. I asked if there was some sort of bug in the program and he proceeded to state that I was the ONLY person who had EVER had a problem with it, out of their millions of users. I just laughed and said aloha. THAT was when I decided to revert to the free version. It has functioned with no problem. I wonder if the paid version has been sold to another company, or somehow 'outsourced'? That is a shame. Avast used to be a trusted name in security. I will never BUY. That division is full of scam artists.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avast Antivirus?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I have the free antivirus from Avast; although they often tell you the things that are slowing down your computer and it can be fixed for a fee. They have stopped me from going into an unsafe website.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

In 2015, after using the free antivirus service for quite a long time, I decided to upgrade. I was billed either $39 or $32 (can't remember right now), for the paid subscription from 2015-2016. Somehow, an extra service was added and I was charged $59 for that. I complained to the Avast people and was told that I ordered these products and that I had also opted for the auto-renew option. I told them to cancel the $59 product and to cancel the auto-renew.

I didn't hear from them, and then discovered in 2017 that they had auto-renewed the programs again. Worse still, they told me that my original order in 2015 had been a 2-year contract so I had been charged for both programs (close to $100 per year) for two years. I was livid and spent hours on the phone trying to explain to people with accents difficult to understand what the problems were. I finally got the message through that I wanted them to cancel everything and to refund the 2nd year (2016-2017) which had not been ordered or authorized, and to return me to the free anti-virus which I had originally been using.

They cancel the two programs and refunded the charges for 2017-2018, and confirmed that the auto-renew had also been cancelled. I'm hoping this is true, but I won't know for sure until later this year. Even when the two paid subscriptions were in effect, there was no difference in the protection; however, I did notice a significant increase in junk mail in both of my email boxes. One in particular, my business email, would receive close to 100 junk emails every day which was very overwhelming. I also kept getting pop-ups from Avast wanting me to upgrade yet again to a 3rd program.

This increase in junk mail coincided with MSN changing their interface at the same time I upgraded the Avast programs. I assumed that MSN was to blame for the increase in junk mail. However, when I returned to the Avast free protection, all those junk emails stopped. I don't believe this is a coincidence. I firmly believe that Avast was responsible for all those additional junk emails getting through in order to try to coerce me into yet another paid subscription. I am still using the Avast free anti-virus program, but I am so disappointed with them and am considering purchasing either Norton or MacAfee service, or going back to AVG free service which had worked for me very well in the past. Be very careful when dealing with Avast, specifically regarding their paid services.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

One thing I really don't like about the latest Avast software is that it will occasionally present information on a pop-up page that says 14 or 15 or 20 programs are behaving poorly and your machine is running badly and some other things need to be fixed. It doesn't ever say what those things are nor does it present an opportunity for me to review the list of suspect programs or processes that they say are behaving badly, or... what exactly they are doing and what exactly is this bad behavior. They just offer a button claiming to "fix it". I've had programs like that in the past that say, "We will fix your PC for you..." They fixed it alright, I ended up having to reinstall everything.

I contacted Avast through their help page (in the antivirus software) several times and I have yet to receive a response. This unwelcome behavior persists with no apparent remedy. If it continues I'm considering going back to Avira which I used for many years and considered to be the best, especially among the free versions of the antivirus software available to the public. Avast works well, I just don't like this particular behavior. They won't explain it or provide details, so I don't trust it and I find it highly suspect. Hope that helps.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Confidence in the program and in the company: Avast does all that it proclaims to do, and it even has a free program. The paid program is not that expensive, either.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I just installed Avast and ran it once and noticed something very dangerous to do, namely it wants to fix or make corrections without letting you know what will be deleted, quarantined, or changed. I'm a techie and helped too many computer owners that took the word of a program to make corrections for them. Otherwise it appears to have a nice and simple GUI, great options and choices, but simple allowing a program to start changing files isn't wise.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

It's a great product that does what it is intended to do and is quite reasonably priced. I've used it for many years and am completely satisfied with the product.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

When I tried to log in to Avast security using a password that I had been using daily for over 6 months, I got a message that said my password was incorrect. I tried logging in several times and had to end up calling tech support. When I told them that I was blocked out and wanted to know why, their response was that they would have to take command of my computer and delete the password... At a cost of $50. I told them the problem wasn't on my end but they would not fix it unless I agreed to pay. Terrible customer relations. Stay away from them.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I have used Avast for many years. I have noticed that as long as you stick to what you intend to do on the internet, it works very well. Even if you stray just a bit the computer or laptop will be just fine.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I have used Avast for at least 10 years and have been totally satisfied. I started with the free for home version and have graduated to the premium version with a ton of extras that are great for me. It hasn't let me down yet!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I have never had my computer infected by anything since I have been using Avast. The only issues I have with them is that it seems like there is always something else they want to sell you so that you have various packages of varying protections instead of just having one or two packages. Adding these other protections adds up pretty fast, I went from the free anti-virus package which did work it seemed, to now I'm paying about $80.00/year. Still, the bottom line is that I've had no problems since I've been using Avast and I'd recommend their protection to most anyone.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

About a month after purchasing my Asus laptop I had a problem and a helpful Best Buy tech recommended that I download Avast for free and use it as my antivirus. So I did and I left it on for about year but never used it because it wanted me to update to a premium subscription for it to do anything and I didn’t want to so I always clicked decline. But after beginning to use my laptop for school more and being on public servers more I thought I would look into a good security system and I selected Norton which recommended uninstalling avast so I complied.

Two days later I was charged for a year subscription that I never selected. In all honesty I don’t even remember giving them my credit info or selecting auto renew (shocker they say it’s binding when auto renew is selected). So the next day I called their customer service and started to get my refund. All went ok until I heard him (barely audible with an accent and very very quiet voice) say something about a cancellation fee which I natural asked how much it was. He said 79.99 to cancel. The subscription charge was 53 with tax.

So they literally wanted to refund my money then recharge me more than the original amount. And after fighting with him for over a half hour on the phone and listening to him tell me it was my fault that I filled everything out and agreed to the terms and there was no possible way that I could get out of it I decided to just call my bank and have them go after avast to get my money back. So bottom line Avast seems to be a giant scam that leads you in circles when you have a problem. Would never. Ever. Ever recommend this. Not even to my worst enemy.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I'd used Norton Symantec previously and found it overpriced for what it delivered. The free version of Avast was better than the pricey Norton. I've since upgraded Avast to get additional features that I value.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I have used the expensive programs. Avast easily equals or surpasses all. Norton disappointed me by its sluggishness - I removed even when free with new computer.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Aug 2017 registered with Avast Antivirus, was protect, but then the nonstop pop-ups to upgrade now! Dec. 18, pop up told me to save your 442 passwords now! Then my computer blow up. Unable to run it, had to run it in Safe mode to remove the program and lost all my passwords!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

So far so good! Been using Avast for 3 yrs now and never have had any problems like I did with Norton Antivirus. It was horrible constantly problems not self explanatory at all!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I had to renew my Avast subscription this past August. I opted to increase coverage at the $64 rate from the $32 I paid the year before. I got nothing 'new' for my $$. The coverage is still the same I had for the $32 fee and every time I get msgs. from Avast that I need to do something to increase coverage, update a driver, etc., etc., they want to bill me another $1.99/mo or $24+ annually for each of these 'add-ons.' I have not paid any more $ into this and don't believe anyone should! For the extra $ I paid, most of these add-ons should have been included in my last license fee. To have to purchase all the additional options they want you to buy after they scare you into thinking you need them, one could easily have over $200/year into this!

And I believe they'd still try to sell you the same add-ons! Right now it seems one gets about the same protection as is offered in their Free download. It appears Avast has degraded itself to little more than a greedy extortionist company that cheats its customers! And of course you cannot talk to anyone there. It's a ghost ship ran by pirates who can't speak English, so therefore I will no longer be continuing my subscription with them once this one runs out.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

On Friday, my 2-year-old computer updated and Avast stopped working and my computer began running slowly and wouldn't download anything, particularly TurboTax that I needed for a deadline. I spent hours troubleshooting. I finally contacted Avast tech support yesterday and they assisted me with disabling Avast (said it was running despite it saying it wasn't) so I could download and then reactivating it. They apologized and said they were working on a problem between Avast and Microsoft. Tonight when I attempted to get assistance to download the final aspect of the program, tech support informed me they couldn't help me without a large charge because I wasn't the "right kind of member."

When I pointed out their program was the problem and their counterpart's assisted previously, they spoke very condescending and said my computer issues weren't their problem and to contact customer service. Customer service tried to transfer me back to the tech support that didn't want to assist me. At that point, I chose to get a refund and just uninstall Avast so I could finish my work and see if my computer would work. They couldn't even do that for me. I have to jump through more hoops and follow links to request my refund for a program that messed up my computer, made me miss a deadline, and has wasted hours of time and cause frustration and tears.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I use the free package and have been very happy with it. The other packages may have more bells and whistles but this is fine for my purposes. Also I feel exposed when the time is up and I have forgotten to renew my membership.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

We downloaded the free Avast Anti-Virus and also ordered the 60-day free trial of the PC Cleanup Premium. They took our credit card information and charged the card immediately. Once I received the welcome email the license code they sent me would not work. FORGET about even trying to get anyone on the phone. It is impossible. They continue to direct you to the website. I have yet to speak to a human. I have wasted 2 hours and am worse off now than when I started.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I have used Avast for many years with good success. Recently my printer would not work after Avast said my driver is outdated and for a fee it will update drivers. Is Avast messing with my drivers? After checking my task manager I saw Avast Driver updater was hogging up space. Went to Avast settings and disabled driver updater and things settled down. Restarted computer and all is well. I believe these extra services that Avast wants money for is actually harming our computers.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

An unauthorized "automatic renewal" hit my acct for $64 for simple anti-virus protection on one computer; the first year had been about $20. The Indian help desk tied me up for 30 minutes and commandeered my computer after which he agreed to credit back the $64 IF--get this--I paid a "cancellation fee." I asked how much the cancellation fee was and he said $79!!! He then dared me to contest the charge with my bank. The guy was rude and incompetent.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Purchased a subscription. Installed Avast. My download speed went from around 30 to 0.9 to 1.1. Avast recognizes that it slows speed on its site and proposes some "workarounds" which amount to turning off several protections. That didn't work. Another computer on the same network is still getting 30, the Avast infected laptop is barely reaching 2.3 now and then. I have canceled my subscription and requested a refund. How DARE Avast advertise that it is "lighter" and faster. Nonsense.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I have been a subscriber of Avast for a number of years. In the beginning, the service was great, but in recent times their service has gone from customer service to promoting upgrades and $$. It seems that Avast is now finding "issues" all the time and when you want to resolve it, you must upgrade to another program. I was totally out of service almost of all of 2017 because they had applied my account to another computer. Now I have been informed that my Premier and Cleanup will be automatically renewed by December 5th. I tried to open my account to update my credit card information and I could not access my account. I called the telephone support number and got a woman who could barely speak English and could not seem to understand what it was I wanted.

She kept me on the phone for nearly half an hour while she "checked" my account, and then suddenly kicked me off the phone altogether. I still cannot access my account. It seems that Avast is now looking for issues in order to get you to upgrade. As I write this, a pop up has appeared half a dozen times that they have detected a potential virus and recommend that I run a scan. I have run the scan 3 times and each time it says there is no virus detected. Then the pop up appears again to tell me I need to scan for the virus they have detected. I am totally frustrated with Avast. If I can find a better substitute, I will probably opt out.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I purchased Internet Security in August, 2017, from Avast and now they are telling me to purchase the Cleanup Premium because there is 100 gig of temporary files that need to be cleaned from my hard drive. I look at my C drive and sure enough, it is 100% full with no space remaining. So I delve into some research to see what is taking up all the space on my hard drive and there should be 100 gig of free space on my 250 gig hard drive but somehow it is all used up.

I only can find 126 gig of files on my hard drive, so what is using up the remaining space? Has Avast really hijacked my hard drive and then wants to sell me cleanup software to get my hard drive space back. This is a scam and I can't believe that I have made a purchase from this underhanded company. I will be asking for my money back and telling everyone I know that this company scams its customers. I will be requesting a refund from my bank to cancel the purchase if they won't refund it back to me.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Recently, I have been experiencing trouble auto filling web forms with my iMac Contact Information. So I started checking into a potential conflict with Avast blocking pop-ups. It seems for my entire System, Passwords and Web, "No Shields are Activated." Who turned them off? It certainly was me. They show zero files infected but zero files were scanned. Is this a Scam? Do you have to pay a sizable upgrade fee to get any protection? When trying to login to my account with Avast via my Google Account, "Avast would like to: View your e-mail address" and "View your basic profile info." Shouldn't they have this information? Also, a popup window appears asking for permission for Avast to install a new helper tool. Are they really giving you any security with their free app?

Avast Antivirus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Czech-based Avast was the first company to offer home network security and is dedicated to providing free antivirus protection to homes, schools and businesses around the world. Founded in 1988 and headquartered in Prague, Czech Republic, Avast also has locations in the USA, Germany, China, South Korea and Tawain.

• Keeps your online activity private: Avast won’t sell your private information to anyone, including the NSA, CIA or government.

• Unbreakable password: One unbreakable password protects all of your system’s other passwords.

• International: Find a business partner around the world who speaks your language and can provide local service.

• Saves schools money: Schools can get protection from threats and viruses for free without limitations on seats or time.

• Avast SecureLine: Avast’s SecureLine protects your iOS devices so you can maintain a secure connection on the go.

• No tracking with SecureLine: Avast SecureLine doesn’t keep logs of your online activity so what you do online is completely secure and untraceable.

• Best for: Individuals, schools and businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
    Shelley Elmblad

Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Avast Antivirus Company Information

1988
    1700 S Amphlett Blvd.
    San Mateo
    www.avast.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use