1.93/5

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

203 Avast Antivirus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Purchased a special promotion for Avast Antivirus to “clean up” my laptop. Well now I Cannot turn it on - it just sat on my lock screen spinning endlessly and when I use the power button to turn it off it will not turn off - the little blue light still showing that my computer is on but my screen is black and the fan is Not running. I cannot print the words in my head right now.

Hi, Heather:

Please contact us privately with additional details including your Avast account information, full name, and your preferred email contact address and we'll be happy to assist you directly.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

After stopping the automatic renewal a week before it was to take place, my computer completely stopped working. I can't even turn it on or off. Cannot reach anyone by phone. How do I get in contact with them.

Hi, Kendra:

Please contact us privately with additional details including your full name, Avast account information, and preferred email contact address and we'll be happy to help!

-Avast Team

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I liked Avast Anti-virus so much I decided it might be worth paying for. I signed up and after the first year reduced fee decided it was too much for my budget to pay $59.99. So I canceled my subscription and stopped Auto-renew payments. I thought that was the end of it but no for the past 2 years I have been charged $59.99 for nothing. I have no active license, I am only paying for the privilege of trying to contact Avast, which if you aren't looking for technical support, is actually impossible. Think twice before using this service, it really is daylight robbery!

Hi, Ailie:

We'd like to help get this sorted out for you. Please contact us privately with your Avast account information, full name, dates and amounts of the charges, cancellation confirmation, and your preferred contact email address and we'll be happy to help.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Avast appears to be perpetrating a scam on people that fall for their "free trial" of Premium Cleanup. I downloaded the product yesterday, ran a scan, and followed their instructions for improving my functionality. Upon completing the steps I found that Microsoft Office was no longer available to me. After calling and speaking to technical support, it was explained that they could restore my computer by paying a fee to have a technician fix the problem. I complained and they offered a discounted rate of $79.

What am I going to do – shop around? No, I had them fix it, and kept telling them how unfair it was that their product caused the problem, and yet I had I had to pay them. One technician claimed it was due to Microsoft Update. I called BS on that, and they were unfailingly polite – well trained in taking your money and not admitting it was their problem. This is unethical behavior, and all the technicians appear to be well-versed in customer service tricks to try to make the consumer feel good while spending money unnecessarily. I asked for a refund of my technical fee, and they thanked me for patience. In other words, no.

Hi, Frank:

Thank you for your feedback! We would like to ensure you were speaking with genuine Avast support as well as get more information about the issue you experienced. Please contact us privately with your Avast account information, full name, preferred email address, support ticket information, error messages you may have received after the scan, and the phone number you called so we can investigate further.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

So, I was using Avast for about 2 years before I had an incident where they were like, "Oh! You have been using our product for more than 2 years, we recommend you upgrade, here's a free trial." Don't do it. Never pay for an antivirus. I clicked on the free trial and before I knew it, I received multiple payments under my account for: $65.00, $85.00, and another payment of $85.00. All of these payments were refunded, until I got another payment, of $85.00. Keep in mind, after receiving the first payment, they said that I had enabled 'Automatic Renewal', which I disabled, because I was extremely pissed off that I had been charged 4 times in total, so I was pretty fricking angry. I'd recommend Malwarebytes, easy to use, comes with a paid version, don't pay for it. Unlike Avast, MB only has 1 service to offer, which is the main antivirus, which for some people they will enjoy the capabilities of a more simple software.

Hi, Matt:

Thank you for reaching out! We're sorry for any confusion. The option to enable or disable automatic renewals would have been included in the initial free trial agreement. We want to ensure your subscription has been canceled to avoid any further unwanted charges. Please contact us privately with your Avast account information, your full name, and your preferred email address so we can get this handled for you.

-Avast Team

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avast Antivirus?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I've been using Avast FREE version for over 10 years, it help me block off harmful popups and ads, even a little suspicious connection they can handle it quickly and clean, virus scanning work really good and my computer is totally virus/malware/ransom free now. To those who rated 0.5, I'm pretty sure they are hired by other companies or are "smart" people who get their laptop from Best Buy or Walmart.

Hi, Testa:

Thanks for being a loyal customer for more than a decade! We're thrilled to hear you've been pleased with our software's ability to keep you and your information safe!

-Avast Team

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Since 2005 I have utilised Avast antivirus free version and later paid, and despite being free, it has protected my computer from virus, malware and recently stopped countless of ransomware attacks that have been going haywire on the Internet line in my area. Reading countless of the negative reviews of this program I can without a doubt say these people have no idea what they are doing, it surprises me they even know how to turn a computer on.

Avast unlike many other AV software I have tested, has successfully managed to isolate viruses and malware even in archived files surprisingly. Another astonishing feature with Avast subsequently missing from vast majority of other AV programs is customisation in the installer letting you decide exactly what you want included and what you want excluded.

Avast AV also gives you good control of settings, all the annoying features can be easily turned off, Avast has always had a good interface which really helps navigating through the various advanced features. Avast not only lets you quick scan but also do complete scans, Avast also includes a boot scan option which will scan your computer before Windows boots, extremely helpful in removing very dangerous threats.

Despite this, Avast will not compromise in safety even on the free version and will constantly give you offers on the paid variant, there no reason not to accept. Avast is also one of the extremely few that STILL supports Windows XP and Vista to this day letting you safely use older computers with Internet connection. As someone who still has to rely on old systems for crucial software support, this is a Godsent gift to not having to worry about ransomware attacking old systems thanks to Avast.

All my clients really like Avast except the annoying pop-up reminding them to buy the software but people having previously had their computers attacked by virus has never had issues after I installed Avast free Antivirus on their systems afterwards. It can without a doubt be said that Avast tops all charts in review sites for best protection, features, user friendliness, and excellent customer service willing to help. It is hard to understand why Avast themselves receive such harsh critique when they are just trying to help, but in reality there is no helping the helpless.

Hi, Johnnew:

Thanks for your feedback and for being an awesome Avast customer! We're thrilled to hear you've been pleased with our software!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Been a client for many years as a paid member. Yesterday when on news page I clicked a link for audio and it froze 80% of my computer. After contacting AVAST they said it was not their fault and passed me to a company that charged me for solving the issue. So I just as well use a free anti company and then be expected to pay if something goes wrong as this. The SCAM was listed as a MICROSOFT issue with a false phone number to contact. I sensed it was a SCAM and did not telephone it. It was then I contacted AVAST directly. I would like a full explanation as to the reason AVAST did not protect me at the outset.

Hi, Jack:

We'd like to get more information about the issue you experienced as well as ensure you were speaking with genuine Avast support. Please contact us privately with additional details including which browser you were using, the website in question, any error messages you may have received, support ticket information, which version of Windows/Mac is on the affected device, your Avast account information, and your preferred email address so we can work with you directly.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I am currently trying to uninstall, but it installed after I completed the survey. I use Symantec, and don't want any other service. I don't understand how they tricked me into downloading it. It happened only a few days ago. It finally uninstalled without any current effect on my computer. Obviously my keyboard is working. I just don't know how it ended up on my computer. I gave it one star only because it showed up uninvited.

Hi Scott,

We hope you'll give Avast another try. We want to reassure you that we do not trick users into installing Avast in any way. Occasionally, our software may be bundled along with other trusted applications but Avast would only install if you selected to do so. You may want to check into the software program that was installed.

If you have more information about what happened exactly, such as screenshots or the "survey" you mention, we can investigate further!

Avast Team

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Beware of cyber scam from your antivirus software. Today, we got a call from a representative of Avast saying they owed us $229 (they said this over 7 months ago) for overcharging for product we never received. To do this, however, they needed to access our computer and then we were to get our bank access online. They said this way, they would black out our screen and theirs, while a transfer deposit was made to our bank. When they were done, they asked me to verify that the transfer to our bank account was $229. I told them it showed $2,229. They wigged out and said they needed to retrieve the $2000 and we should go to our nearest Walmart store and buy a gift card for $1800 (because now they said they would give us an extra $200 for our inconvenience). That is when a red flag went up and said no.

Again, they got all excited and said they would lose their job and fired and we needed to do it now. Told them we will check it out with our bank and the attorney general office in Nebraska to see if they were scamming us. Long story short... it is apparently a scam but when we tried calling AVAST, they did not want to hear what we had to say but try and sell us Avast all over again saying they could save us money from what we currently were paying. We are still scratching our heads over this one. If these people from India were actually scammers, wouldn't Avast want to know about this from us? Guess not. What does that tell you?

Hi Patricia,

The person who called you was *not* a representative of Avast, and was unfortunately a scammer, as you verified as well. We're glad that you knew something was up and took appropriate action.

The report of this scam will be investigated by our team, and we appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

If you do currently use Avast, we appreciate it very much and hope that you continue to have good experiences with our software.

Avast Team

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Updated on 11/19/2018: I initially posted a review on November 10, 2018 as to the effect that uninstalling the Avast! antivirus program did to my computer. Said uninstall totally crashed my computer. Due to this review I received a very solicitous response from Avast about the issue and additional information was requested by them (and provided by me). See below:

Operating system was Windows 7 Ultimate Edition. PC was 12 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD in RAID-1 configuration. Motherboard was ASUS Republic of Gamers (ROG) Rampage II Extreme with Intel I7. Graphics card was Nvidia 500 series GTX. Boring DVD, keyboard, and mouse. Uninstall went as follows: 1) Invoked uninstalled Avast! from the Add/Remove Programs control panel. 2) Uninstall finished. 3) Rebooted machine. 4) Misbehavior on reboot. 5) After multiple reboots, the ROG boot screen came up, but Windows 7 failed to complete its boot-up. 6) Multiple reboots, but never any ROG boot screen again, let alone Windows 7 boot-up

7) Finally, irregardless of rebooting, ROG boot screen does not appear and keyboard is not recognized. Keyboard is a Logitech G910 backlit keyboard, but the lights don't come on anymore. 8) Keyboard and mouse do work on another computer that is being used as a fill-in until the ultimate fate of the previous computer is decided. 9) No other programs were installed/uninstalled at the same time as Avast! was uninstalled. 10) Avast! was the latest version of the Free version

Outcome of initial communication with Avast's "higher levels of support" indicated that the information provided above was not even reviewed before their initial "support" response. Secondary contact resulted with this sentence as part of their response: "If your computer will not boot up at all you are facing with a hardware issue, probably." Note the word "probably". Given that I have reviewed 10 complaints posted on this site against Avast for 2018 alone (5/15, 6/10, 6/11, 6/20, 6/28, 7/14, 7/30, 8/21, 9/13, and 10/11) that specifically implicate the presence of the Avast! antivirus in the permanent loss/or alteration of files as well as damage to the actual functionality of the computers involved.

At least 3 of these posts indicated that the reviewer had to seek paid technicians to repair the damage to their operation systems and files. I find the likelihood that my experience is not the result of hardware failure especially given that my computer had absolutely no issues with functionality prior to the uninstall.

The latest communication has the "tech" suggesting that the sudden, total lock up of my OS as a huge coincidence although the only variable in the equation between perfect functionality of my computer and it's now current status as a very expensive piece of metal statuary was my choice to uninstall their software. Now I am looking at paying out somewhere between $1,000 to $1,500 to obtain an equivalent replacement for the computer damaged by this software. I am fortunate that my husband is a computer programmer and has decades of experienced with computers so he was able to recover all of my photos and documents. Not all are so fortunate. Think long and hard about the value of your data before letting this software invade your computer.

Original review: Recently uninstalled Avast Antivirus software and now my computer does not recognize my keyboard (or any other external components) so there is no way to restore system settings. Bricked my machine! Don't jeopardize your data by using this software which seems designed to destroy your computer on uninstall.

Hi, Stephanie:

Our software is not designed to affect your keyboard and would not have blocked your external devices, so we would like to get more information about this highly unusual issue. Please contact us privately with additional details about which product you uninstalled, the operating system version you're running on that device, whether anything else was installed at that time (different antivirus, etc), and your preferred email address so we can work with you directly.

-Avast Team

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

This program slowed my computer to a crawl and I had to wait for over 10 minutes to open to the home screen. After many deletions of the many pieces of garbage this program consists of, it still pops up for no reason. Avoid this program if you want to have some control over your computer since it a piece of junk.

Hi, Jack:

Our software was designed to be light on your system's resources, so we're concerned to hear you feel it slowed your system down! Do you have any other antivirus or anti-malware software installed on your system that could be causing a conflict? Please contact us privately and let us know so we can better assist you!

-Avast Team

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Updated on 12/09/2018: I originally reviewed this product on November 1, 2018. Avast responded to my review with a message to contact them, that they would like to help, as they are telling others who are also giving not so stellar reviews. Well, obviously I had already contacted them and they would NOT help, hence the review. I did, however, recover the money through Paypal. I couldn't figure out how to edit the first review, only to mark it "resolved" which somehow seemed hinky to me, as they were not interested in resolving the issue.

Original Review: I used this "free" product in July 2017 in an attempt to clean a computer. It didn't help, the computer bit the dust. They charged me after the 30 day trial period and claimed I agreed to an auto-renewal. I absolutely did not. The default is agree to auto-renewal. I logged onto my account and stopped that feature two days after I downloaded the program. It was never used after that first try. This is a horrible way to do business! They refuse to refund the money. It does not show up on credit card as Avast but as Digital River.

Hi, Donna:

We'd like to help get this taken care of for you! Please contact us privately with your Avast account information, full name, the product in question, and your preferred email address and we'll be happy to help you directly!

-Avast Team

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I installed Premier Clean Up and had several issues come up that were working prior to purchasing. I called support and they said I would have to pay for troubleshooting even though it was their prod.

Hi, Rocky:

We're concerned and would like to get more details about the issue you experienced, as well as ensure you were speaking with genuine Avast support! Please contact us privately with additional details, your Avast account information, full name, and preferred email address and we'll be happy to assist!

-Avast Team

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Avast wanted £49.99 for 12 months AV after I tried the 6 week trial period. I didn't take this up & after a few days, I had an email from them offering the same product for a 'one off, special price' of £24.99, so they initially had tried to rip me off for £25.00. On principle, I didn't take this offer either. Then, to add further insult, another email, this time entitled 'We want you back', with a price of £19.99. Yet another ripoff. Ethical business practices? Huh!!!

Hi, Jeff:

We sometimes offer sale pricing to our current and former customers. We apologize for any confusion.

-Avast Team

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

This is my first time with AVAST and it automatically renewed without my knowledge or consent. Do not sign up for AVAST! There is NO option under my order details to turn off automatic renewal. I am trying to get a refund and have contacted support twice. I have received no email correspondence from them and no money back so far. I tried to stop the automatic renew through my PayPal account. They said I had to take it up with the merchant. Warning!!! DO NOT INSTALL THIS PRODUCT!!! Shady business practices.

Hi, Cynthia:

We're sorry for any confusion. The option for disabling automatic renewal is offered during the initial purchase process. We're sorry to see you go, but would like to help you directly with your cancellation. Please contact us privately with your full name, account information, and which product you'd like to cancel and we'll be happy to assist!

-Avast Team

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Cancellation of files for offline installs/updates: I have used and recommended Avast products for a decade or so. Some computers that require antivirus are offline and purposefully never connected to the internet. In my experience, Avast has always made files available for download so that offline computers could use their software. They have abruptly stopped offering this, and have left us in the lurch. A call to their support verified that they no longer offered files for offline installation or update, and that they might consider opening a request for that "new" feature. I have a current three-year subscription.

There are many computers out there that require anti-virus, but never go online. Also, presently, I do not see a way to install their software on any computer without being online and unprotected while performing the installation. Poor execution and service for transition from discontinued version: We have a three-year subscription for Endpoint, which they have discontinued. I had to call in to see what product to upgrade to, and they could not tell me. Said to just upgrade one of our computers that is online and see what it upgraded to. The computers that were online would not upgrade, so I spent hours looking for what to upgrade to.

One computer accepted the upgrade, and the license key. For over 24 hours, the second computer will not register the key, giving an error message to try again later. I had functioning software with a current license, and by following their installation process, now have a system that is "unsecured", since they will not accept and process a proper and valid product key. I have quite a few computers to install this on, and after the inability of Avast to accept and process a proper license key online, I have decided that finding a way to get the offline computers online for the purpose of installing Avast would be a very poor road to travel. In summary, Avast has failed in offering acceptable service and failed by discontinuing the vital capability of offline installation and updating of virus definitions. Avast, you have lost a long time customer and advocate for life.

Hi, Doug:

Thank you for your years of loyalty and for your feedback! We would like to discuss this issue further with you. Please contact us privately with your preferred email address as well as further details about your support experience.

-Avast Team

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

For sometime, I have been disappointed with Avast; most particularly when your "clean up" tool literally cleaned my computer. I had to have an IT person in to restore my pictures and other information from my external backup. I had an online support session with Microsoft this afternoon which apparently identified a virus that was undetected by your software and had literally slowed my computer to a CRAWL, a very slow crawl. Fixed. I never found Avast software updated automatically; always had to check and install updates. Pain in the rear. Just not satisfied at all; and, TO TOP ALL OFF, I still get to pay you for the remaining approximately 2.5 years of an unsatisfactory subscription.

Hi, Vicki:

Thanks for reaching out! Our Cleanup software is customizable and should not have cleaned anything you didn't mark for cleaning, so we're concerned and would like to look into this and your update issue further (as well as answer any questions you had about our software). We're also concerned about the potential virus, so please contact us privately and include more information about what Microsoft found, your Avast account information, and your preferred contact email address.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I have been with Avast for many years. I thought they were a decent company. I recently was given a new quote which I thought was too expensive. I decided to cancel. I had problems removing their Anti Virus Premium, so I contacted them which is not easy to find. They said they are not responsible for the removal of their product. They would have to charge me $50.00 Canadian to have their Tech Support remove it. I agreed provided they could remove it and restore my computer back to proper with internet access.

They remove it but now that computer has no internet access and it took 2 days 12 hours in total, to leave my computer in this mess. It worked just fine before Avast worked on it. They were suppose to call me back and resume repairing it, I never heard from them. Makes me wonder if they install something in their Anti Virus that you can't leave, that disables your computer. Looking for a Anti Virus? You might want to avoid Avast Premium.

Hi, Michael:

We're sorry to see you go, but would like to help and also ensure you were speaking with genuine Avast support! Please contact us privately with further details as well as your preferred contact email address and the number you dialed.

-Avast Team

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I am not getting anywhere with their customer service. Well... purchase Avast for £20 for one year and one PC... without knowing I was subscribing for a £59.99 bill on the following year, I nearly fainted and now that I want a refund they are giving me hard time. I open a dispute with PayPal but lost the case and they closed my dispute, after a few days the customer service says it's still under dispute and they cannot refund me and for me to investigate with my bank, what the hell is going on? I regret Avast forever. Will spread the word until I get my money back.

Hi, Maria:

The initial price you paid was at a discounted rate for new customers. We apologize for any confusion and would like to help get this resolved for you. Please contact us privately with your Avast account information, renewal receipt, and your preferred email address and we'll be happy to work with you directly.

-Avast Team

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

This is the third year in a row that I have tried and failed to stop the automatic renewal of this product. The instructions in their online "help" pages do not correspond to what I am seeing on the screen when I try to follow them. There is NO option under my order details to turn off automatic renewal. I have not found a way to contact the company. If there is contact information on their website, it is not easily recognized.

Hi, Catherine:

We'd like to help! Please contact us privately with your purchase information and your preferred contact email address and we'll be happy to work with you directly.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

This is about the BILLING, not the product. I signed up online for Avast Antivirus and selected the $19.95 package, plus, a free 7 day trial of their performance check software. I didn't want the automatic recurring charge for it, so I called and had that cancelled...or so I thought. I received a & 54.11 bill, which I realized only when searching for another charge.

I immediately called their customer service line, in the Philippines, and a man asked me for the reference number, which I gave him; said he couldn't find the transaction. Then he searched it by name and couldn't find it, then he said he had to search it by my credit card number, which I did not give him, as he should have had the other information without it and I greatly feared further inappropriate charges. I could hardly be more dissatisfied with the billing and the lack of documentation on their part, not to mention the fact their customer service rep couldn't find the charge by reference number, or by my name. That's just lousy customer service all around.

Hi, Bob:

Thank you for reaching out! We would like to ensure you were calling genuine Avast support, as well as help get this resolved for you. Please contact us privately with further details.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

After being with this shower for over 4 years I got an email saying they wanted double the money to renew the licence for my internet protection. After downloading new updates and paying over 70 pounds for this. I found myself unable to open any of the files I had on my computer. Contacting customer service was a disgrace. They are only out to exploit you and make more money. I have a feeling, this is why their latest updates creates a problem for you. I honestly think these muppets are harming our computers, rather than giving us what we pay for. AVOID AT ALL COSTS GUYS. You would sorry if you ignore my advice.

Hi, EJ:

Thank you for reaching out! You likely received a special discounted price for the initial subscription. The renewals are at full price.

Our software should not have prevented you from opening your files, so we would like to look into this further. Please contact us privately with more information (including any support ticket information and the number you called so we can ensure you were speaking with genuine Avast support) and we'll be happy to help get this resolved.

-Avast Team

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

How can an internet based company not have an email address or online help for potential and existing users? It beggars belief. Sadly Avast isn't the only guilty company. I have read a lot of the comments as I was going to come back to Avast on a special deal. By the sounds of it I'd be better off staying with the enemy! Again AVAST - make yourselves easier to contact. The hardest thing for consumers is deciding the best company to go with and a lot of you don't have the decency to make communication easy. Business 101...!

Hi, Ben:

Thanks for your feedback! We'd like to help answer any questions you may have! Please contact us privately and we'll be happy to assist you directly.

Resolution response: Sept. 6, 2018

It was my mistake. I recieved the mail after 4 hours. And running my scan now in premium version. Thank you avast :)

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I got a message from free Avast software that some technical glitches are spotted and needs to be fixed. In order to do that I need a premium account. I paid it through my debit card. But still, have not received any mail. My money is been withdrawn but didn't receive the license key yet. My mail id is: **.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Used to be modestly good antivirus, stopped viruses from downloading or connecting to the web. Advertising is false - I had the idea it would include my phone and then they wanted me to purchase separate software for that. I didn't. When it used to work, it took forever to run a scan and drastically slowed my computer - which has 4 gigs of RAM. Recently they made changes in the software. It scans EVERY file that opens on my computer, and must stop unspecified system files. It takes FOREVER to open EVERY web page at EVERY place in the page. Eventually the Internet connection breaks and it won't connect. Soon after that my computer slows to a crawl and then freezes.

I uninstalled, ALL problems disappeared. I reinstalled, problems came back. I uninstalled, all problems disappeared. Don't worry about what OS or browser, if Avast is worth money it works on all of them. Avast HAS no customer support, so don't even try it with the false offering to help me you plastered all over this page. I'm not interested in any case, your software doesn't work, so no amount of helping me will work. FIX it, and if you cared it obviously wouldn't be broken, so you're not going to fix it. Push me at ALL and I'll file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau for a partial refund for the time on my license since YOU broke your software. Don't even think about it. Only resolution I ever want is for everyone to know not to buy this piece of junk.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Have used Avast for years without issues. After resubscribing Jul 18, started getting requests to enter my "Master Password." Except I didn't have one. Contact them... took over an hour just to get to the first rep. Had to PAY for them to fix THEIR problem. After multiple multi-hour calls with tech support, they said it was fixed and that they had "cleaned up" my laptop. Immediately noticed that MS Office Professional was no longer functioning properly... features missing. Contacted Avast again. After more digging around their answer was... "It's a Microsoft problem so call them." Basically washed their hands of a problem they clearly created.

FOUR Microsoft sessions later (over 9 hours) with their most advanced engineering support, they still couldn't fix whatever Avast corrupted. Limping along now by working from a previous restore point. Moral of the story, Avast was just fine right up until there was (what seemed to be) a minor issue. Their support is a joke. In my opinion, DO NOT let their tech support do ANYTHING to your computer. Microsoft DEFENDER works just as well and is fully integrated/compatible. Suggest using it instead.

Hi, M:

Thank you for being a loyal customer over the years. We'd like to get more information about the issue you experienced as well as with your support experience. Please contact us privately with more details, your Avast account username, and your preferred contact email address.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Avast Tech Scam. Trying to resolve an issue of getting cancelation notices on my product - you cannot speak with anyone - you get an email response and it is very vague in its explanation and the problem is NOT solved. The problem is multiplied by double billing. I have an account! A PAID UP ACCOUNT - and I am billed again (Auto Billing). I will STOP this auto billing and as good as AVAST might be - paying twice for the service - they can't be that good. BEWARE!! Horrible customer service.

Hi, Jim:

We'd be happy to help you directly! Please contact us privately with your billing confirmation numbers/receipts and your contact email address.

Registering your software can be done by clicking Menu>My Licenses>Add a valid activation number. If you've performed this and the issue persists, please let us know.

-Avast Team

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Despite unsubscribing weeks ago Avast have taken a payment from our Company account. Tried to phone them but you are in a queue for ages and then they say leave a number and we will call you back, which they don't. Emailed their CEO who hasn't responded, other posts suggests that the CEO was fined for Fraud in the US. Terrible organization and am going to report the matter as theft to the police, both in the UK, Germany and Czech Republic. Don't trust this firm.

Hi, David:

While we're sad to see you go, we'd like to help ensure your subscription is cancelled properly and help resolve this for you. Please contact us privately with your Avast account information and a contact email address and we'll be happy to assist.

-Avast Team

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

My computer stopped working properly after installing the most recent Avast update (version 18.6.2349) on Aug 21. Avast forums indicated that there is a bug in this update, after three reboots my computer got completely stuck when trying to access the "repair" function so I phoned Avast tech # given on bottom of my most recent order confirmation **. This was the only phone # I could find after extensive searching.

Spoke with Stephanie in Manila & her supervisor. Told her that this is a problem with the update. She insisted on doing a "diagnostic," found extraneous problems and said I needed an advanced diagnostic. All she wanted to do was sell me this diagnostic. Her supervisor came on and said that I could have a "special" price: $49 instead of $119. There was no other solution. I have the feeling that this isn't a tech service at all - it is a point of sale for Avast products. I have paid for Internet Security and I am wondering why it is not supported by tech service, as claimed. I wasted an hour having a very frustrating phone conversation and I am no closer to resolving the problem with the faulty update.

Hi, Gail:

We're sorry to hear you've been having issues updating your software and would like to help get this resolved for you. Please contact us privately with your Avast account information, a description of the issue as well as any error messages you may have received, support ticket information you may have received, and which operating system version you're running so we can assist you directly.

Avast Antivirus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Czech-based Avast was the first company to offer home network security and is dedicated to providing free antivirus protection to homes, schools and businesses around the world. Founded in 1988 and headquartered in Prague, Czech Republic, Avast also has locations in the USA, Germany, China, South Korea and Tawain.

• Keeps your online activity private: Avast won’t sell your private information to anyone, including the NSA, CIA or government.

• Unbreakable password: One unbreakable password protects all of your system’s other passwords.

• International: Find a business partner around the world who speaks your language and can provide local service.

• Saves schools money: Schools can get protection from threats and viruses for free without limitations on seats or time.

• Avast SecureLine: Avast’s SecureLine protects your iOS devices so you can maintain a secure connection on the go.

• No tracking with SecureLine: Avast SecureLine doesn’t keep logs of your online activity so what you do online is completely secure and untraceable.

• Best for: Individuals, schools and businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
    Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Avast Antivirus Company Information