2.14/5
Based on 91 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Last updated: April 18, 2018

115 Avast Antivirus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 18, 2018

In the past I was pleased with AVAST. However when I receive my new iPhone X, the software preempted the effective communication of my Gmail. The determination was the address software was stopping Gmail from being sent. I have this technicians told me candidly they do not really support the Apple OS. And they were not sure what they could do. I discontinued the software. The rub is I had over 400 days left on my subscription and billing refuse to credit me any of the money back. So now I am paying over a year's subscription for software I cannot use not do I now have on my devices.

Hi Patrick,

We'd like to help you out! We have several apps for iOS, but they are different than Avast Antivirus on your PC or Mac. Can you tell us exactly which Avast app you were using on your iPhone, and how you were using it? Also, how did you purchase the subscription (through the App Store?)

Please contact us and we'll be happy to work with you to get to the bottom of the issue!

Original review: April 18, 2018

These people are always advising you of updates without really advising you if you're just updating software or if you'll be charged. Never actually shows anything about the price or if you are going to be charged. I absolutely hate this. If you ask for a refund, they say "Oh, it'll take 5-7 days to process your refund". They certainly can charge you in 24 hours -- but no they cannot do the refund immediately. My opinion is stay clear of this company.

Hi Shelda,

We are always updating Avast to ensure the best protection and performance for our customers, so you may get notices from the app that tell you when Avast has updated.

This is not the same as upgrading; you would be required to go through the purchase process in order for your initial subscription to be created and charged.

If you're having any issues at all with your subscription, please reach out to us and we'll make sure things are taken care of!

Avast Team

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: April 18, 2018

Avast used to be my anti-virus software of choice years ago but it seems like they've sold out to some sketchy company. I signed up for the 'free' trial and it kept prompting me for a special price of $19.99 to get the premium version of the software. At the end of the 30-day trial my bank account was charged $42.79! I got the phone number associated with the charge from my bank because I could not locate a contact phone number on the Avast site. Upon calling I got in touch with a call center staffed by Indians.

After 20-minutes on the phone I was told that my premium account had been canceled and the $42.79 charge would be refunded to my bank account. Well, I never got a refund. In addition to that the software kept prompting me to sign-up for the premium version. If I didn't get a refund then I should still have the premium version of the software, right? After four-months without a refund I called Avast back to verify that I should be entitled to the premium version of the software since I never got a refund. Again I got an Indian man at a call center. Whenever I call they want to have remote access to my computer. I went ahead and allowed the guy to access my computer in order to activate the premium version of their software.

But that's not what the guy did. Instead he started rooting around in my browser history and telling me that I'd visited all these unsecured websites that had messed up my computer. He was going to refer me to a technician in my area to have my computer serviced. My computer is only four-months old!!! There's not a thing wrong with it. In addition to that, it turned out that I do not have the premium version of their software but have some additional software that's supposed to just clean-up unnecessary files on my computer. So for $42.79 I didn't even get their premium software but some useless side-app. The bottom line is that this is a company that has virtually no customer service and appears to be a dishonest racket. Run!

Avast Antivirus response

Hi Danny, we're very concerned here and would like to help. First, we'd like to ensure that you contacted Avast official support (as compared to a third party separate from our customer service.)

Our official support team can be contacted here: https://support.avast.com/en-us

Please privately respond to us with the information from your original purchase, the phone number you contacted, and any additional information you were provided -- we'll get things straightened out.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: April 17, 2018

I did not want my subscription to renew, so I requested it to be canceled and my money refunded. I received three confirmations saying a refund was processed, it's been three weeks now and I haven't received my refund.

Avast Antivirus response

Hi Jude, we appreciate you bringing this to our attention, and we're happy to get things taken care of. Please respond to us privately with your purchase information and the confirmation of your cancelled renewal when you get a chance, we'll get everything straightened out for you!

Original review: April 15, 2018

DRI AVAST charged has charged my account and I sent an email to the company. I have no indication of license number is or what product it is for. Although the outgoing message is very polite, there is no indication how providing a response. I have waited for over 48 hours, have not even received an email stating it is being worked on. These days most large companies at least send you an email acknowledging receipt. Given what I have read online about the difficulty of canceling the auto pay, I am very concerned. Will keep you posted.

Hi P.,

We'd like to ensure that your request is fulfilled. This sounds like a renewal for an Avast subscription, from one of our approved eCommerce providers (Digital River)

Please contact us with as much information as you can, including your email address, so our support team can investigate further and get things straightened out!

Avast Team

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avast Antivirus?

Original review: April 15, 2018

Don't know how this Avast Antivirus got on my computer and now I can remove it. Every time I try to uninstall it fails to do so. I do not trust this software especially since I did not download it. I believe it piggybacked on another software I downloaded now I can't get rid of it. Now that it is on my computer I'm afraid all of my private information will be stolen by this Russian company. That is well known for overbilling and stealing credit card information. HELP!

Hi Baba,

If you'd like to remove Avast (assuming you are on a Windows system) you can do this through the Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs. We also offer an uninstall utility as well: https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Also, your privacy and security is of our utmost concern -- many of our products are designed to do just this. Avast is based in the Czech Republic.

We hope this information helps and we thank you for trying Avast!

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: April 14, 2018

Avast internet security is crashing all the times on my computer. Also the scanning is not working and blocks all the time. When I ask Avast for help, there is just no answer. It is the first company I met that is not helping its paying clients. This is just cheating.

Hi Jaak,

We'd very much like to help. Can you clarify if it is just Avast that is experiencing the issue, or are there other issues on your PC? Does the Avast client load and operate normally with the problem occurring elsewhere?

The first thing you can try is an Online Repair, if you are on Windows. Go to the Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Highlight Avast and click Change -> then select Online Repair.

Please let us know if this resovles your issue!

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: April 8, 2018

Avast runs 4 different operations on the startup which takes up almost 50% of the disk, RAM, CPU... Please is there anyhow Avast can be improved so that small processor laptop users like me could benefit with Avast services. I am using windows 8.1. Premium user of Avast Security and Cleanup Premium.

Avast Antivirus response

Hi Abdul, we'd like to help you out with this. Would you be able to provide more information such as a screenshot or details of the processes that are running (from Task Manager or another tool?) Our support team can work with you to determine what's happening and make sure Avast is running smooth on your system. You can email us at avast-team@avast.com or contact support directly here: https://support.avast.com/en-us

We hope to hear from you soon and thank you for your business.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: March 26, 2018

As with other people who have written reviews of Avast, I too did not realize that they were double and triple billing me until I woke up and saw that too many charges were coming through over a period of time. They count on you seeing the charge and ASSUMING that it is renewal time. I had been paying using PAYPAL - When I realized what was happening, I tried to contact AVAST, was given the run-around from person to person and finally a phone number in RUSSIA! I contacted PAYPAL and my credit card company to alert them that they should block AVAST and DIGITAL RIVER (their other fake company) from any further charges.

That was almost a year ago and today I was AGAIN billed for two subscriptions from AVAST - DIGITAL RIVER! I immediately contacted them and they said they would again cancel all subscriptions. I called PAYPAL and filed ANOTHER COMPLAINT about the company and am awaiting a credit before I cancel PAYPAL since they have no control over keeping charges from being made by a company I specifically requested by blocked in my account! I do not understand how AVAST can continue to operate. Who are they and where is the actual headquarters?

Avast Antivirus response

Hi Linda, we can't apologize enough for the difficulties you had in cancelling your auto-renewal. I'd like to assure you first that Digital River is an authorized, legitimate eCommerce partner of Avast. If you haven't tried yet, you can easily disable auto-renewal either via our portal or your My.Avast account. We'll provide a link below. Please contact us via avast-team@avast.com and we'll do whatever we can to help. https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/Cancel-Digital-River-auto-renewal

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: March 18, 2018

I am writing you in the hopes you can help me get what is fair out of this company ‘’Avast’’ which I feel has preyed upon me for years. The reason I have waited so long to address this issue with them is that on numerous occasions when I wrote or called the company I got a complete runaround, misdirection, and stalling that I believe is intended to break the complainants resolve is seeking justice.

Initially, I received a courtesy notice that a product would be renewed on the such and such date. I proceeded to cancel my Avast product prior to that date, was shocked to find I had still been charged. When I investigated I was told that I had canceled a different Avast product. Further investigation revealed so much deceptive business practices that I feel it is intentional. Apparently, over the years when intentionally renewing my Avast product, I was I. getting sold 3 -5 duplicate or similar products, products with slight variations in the services provided and or names and many of them overlapping, and many of them duplicating free products that came with my pc.

So not only does the company sell many different Avast products, The notification of renewal email do not come with their specific names, they are intentionally misleading where it should say your ''Avast internet security program'' is up for renewal it simply says update your Avast subscription. So I canceled something without realizing I had other Avast products that were still auto-renewing.

Many of these products should cancel each other out. If you have product "A" you don't need product "B" sort of thing. Yet I was barraged with emails telling me I needed this or that to keep my computer safe, running fast, protected. If I canceled a product I received a high alert email within a month warning me why I needed to buy the product to protect my computer. I noticed no difference in how my computer functioned but that is beside the point all I wanted was one yearly subscription for Avast ant-virus I ended up with GrimeFighter, Avast Premier, Avast Antivirus, Avast Internet Security, over 500 in charges. To further confuse matters many of their products changed names and when seeking resolution for an unauthorized charge you find out you have to contact a different vendor.

When I finally got over my seething frustration and contacted the proper vendor clearly stating I would never have renewed because after May 2015 I moved and no longer had a computer and therefore I didn't need their product at all... Explaining all this I was chastised and questioned about why I waited so long— to that question my answers are, "Because customer service has made fixing these problems so difficult. I dread addressing these issues more than any issue I have ever had with any company—ever."

Then they offered me an extension of their product/service. That was a year ago. I get really angry and feel like, "No. This is wrong." I have been victimized by the unscrupulous business practices of a company that turns out to be used in Eastern Europe and seems totally uninterested in doing business along ethical lines. I am hoping that they will respect my claim if it comes from my bank and not treat me so shabbily. CANCEL THIS. REFUND MY MONEY.

All I want is a refund for ANY PRODUCTS I WAS CHARGED FOR AFTER MAY 2015--- products I was deceptively charged for after I lost my home in May 2015 and no longer had a PC with which to use their product. VERIFIED PURCHASER My bank statement would be my receipt to make it a verified review. Instead I submit two screen-shots of correspondence with Avast proving I bought their product as my bank won't let me search beyond two years ago.

Avast Antivirus response

Hi georgianne, we'd like to work with you personally to ensure that we investigate your case here. I assure you that we'll do everything we can to get things straightened out for you, and that either you have only the Avast services you want or need, or that your subscriptions are properly cancelled. You can reach us directly at avast-team@avast.com. If you can provide any additional info, such as your My.Avast account name or order numbers, that will help also!

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: March 11, 2018

Before I start my review, I want to address a common complaint in the hopes that it will help other people. When you sign up for Avast, KEEP THAT ORIGINAL CONFIRMATION EMAIL. It was the only email from which I was able to cancel my auto renewal by clicking on the "Order Portal" link. Cancelling your auto renewal in any other way is nearly impossible. The email they'll send you when it's time to renew offers an option to cancel, but when you click on the link, your information will always be "invalid".

Here's what you do: Find the original email, click on the "Order Portal" option, and input your order number and password from that order confirmation. Input it three or four times. (You'll be told the first few times that your information is invalid. Keep trying. It will eventually go through.) Then, click on Edit Membership and go through the disable auto renewal steps TWICE. The first time will purposely NOT work. After that, click out of the screen and back in to make doubly sure that you've been opted out. If not, repeat above steps until successful.

Now, in regards to the actual product... I've had Avast for a year and it has successfully stopped numerous viruses from infecting my computer, so as far as protection is concerned, I'm satisfied with it. I won't be renewing, though, because I don't like shady companies who try to force you to stay with them through unethical means.

Avast Antivirus response

Hi Barney, first we'd like to thank you for your business, and for your feedback on Avast. We're glad we were able to help keep you safe.

In regards to cancelling the renewal -- the method for cancelling does depend on the eCommerce provider who processed your order, but generally can be done via the Order Portal, or your My.Avast account. Here are the instructions from our FAQ: https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/Cancel-Digital-River-auto-renewal

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: March 6, 2018

I run 2 business & have 4 rentals, I'm the first to admit my accounting stinks. I noticed, while doing my 2017 taxes that AVAST has been charging me on 2 cards and from checking for 4 years. I have not idea how they got an additional card number and my checking account number except that they have access to my computer since they were my virus protection and internet security. The first person I spoke with reversed my 2018 charge but I was charged for internet security 3x a year for 3 years on 2 order number and 4 years on another.

They are telling me it is too late to fix things because I am over the 30 day grace period. Who charges their customers 3 times for the same product. Now I am REALLY worried about my internet security. I realize I should have caught this a long time ago but since it was coming as a charge in 3 locations, I would enter it on my taxes and figured I was just seeing the same thing I had already entered, not realizing I was seeing it in 3 different accounts, 3 different times. Beware of this company and their "customer service" company Digital River.

Avast Antivirus response

Hi Amy, we apologize for any trouble you had -- we're here to help do everything we can to straighten things out. Your security and privacy is our top priority; rest assured that Digital River is an approved, legitimate eCommerce provider for Avast Software. We'd like you to reach out to us at avast-team@avast.com with any details you can provide, either your order info or case numbers from when you contacted support, so we can help directly. Thank you for your patience!

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

When support for Windows XP was discontinued and Window Essentials antivirus support for XP ended, I installed Avast. It worked fine for a while, more than a year, but then I started having problems with Word 2007. When I changed directories to insert a photo the program would abort. I still had Word 2000 that I used occasionally and it stopped working. I am certain that the Avast program caused Word 2000 to uninstall spontaneously. After I uninstalled Avast about three months ago I have not had any problems with Word 2007, but have no means of reinstalling Word 2000. There were other problems that have not appeared since Avast is no longer there.

Avast Antivirus response

Hi Richard, we appreciate your feedback here. Avast would not be capable of uninstalling other products on your PC! If Avast detected a threat in any of your programs or files, the action you have set up in the software would occur (block, move to virus chest, etc.) Our team would like to know more about the specific issues you had on your machine so we can investigate further. Please reach out to us at avast-team@avast.com at your earliest convenience!

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

They can kiss my big toe for all worth. I purchased the 1 year all access antivirus, May 2017. Had to refresh my PC in December because of running issues. Couldn't locate my account info in the Account section, for reactivation, so went to their website. Absolutely NOWHERE to email Support, much less any toll-free number listed. Just a useless wasted page of b.s. links to click on, that reroute you everywhere, except to the business you need. So fed up with the nonsense, I Happily UNINSTALLED Avast and switched to AVG, which I had previously, and actually HAS support contact.

Avast Antivirus response

Hi Leanette, we'd like to help however we can. On our support site when you search for a topic, we do have a link to contact us via email. This can be found here: https://support.avast.com/en-us/contact/

For your activation code, you would be able to find this along with your purchase receipt or email, or in your My.Avast account portal.

If you're continuing to have issues, please email us at avast-team@avast.com or the support link above, we're here to help.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Product seems sound, however this isn't' about the product. It is about unethical use of my personal information! Either they sold my information or they have a breach on their credit card servers. The reason I know this is I NEVER use that information online. For this purchase I used my mobile number instead of my home as I usually do. It now has gotten several calls and I am getting new spam to my HOME email of which I also never use for online purchases. Too much going on since I made this avast purchase to be a coincidence. One of them was a mortgage company from out of state trying to validate my address.

Avast Antivirus response

Hi Dan, we'd like to assure you that your security and privacy is top priority for us, so much so that many of our products such as AntiTrack, SecureLine VPN, and others are designed specifically to protect your privacy. Your information is safe with us, and you would be notified in the unlikely event of any incident that would affect this.

If you have any questions, please email us at avast-team@avast.com or view our Privacy Policy on https://www.avast.com.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I thought it was a lesser valued free set up, it's not. So I figure they will slow down my system in a random style. And it's slow that's why I'm downloading it. So I am going to buy a system, I already plan to right, but it would be cool to get a couple months free with their 2 month trial. NO. They still ask for a credit card... I really hate that, they also data mine you. So, I think I really hate that, but I'm stuck with this spy antivirus already so I figure I give my cc info, they will give me the FULL program for a couple months then automatically charge me after 2 months... NO. These idiots don't even give me anything more than it already. Didn't do for me even after they have my cc and agreement for 2 month trial. As if I want more than one system slowing antivirus on my pc - "free" or not.

Go with a real brand, this marketing makes me sick. 1 star is too much. Avast - remember that we need real antivirus every month and if you idiots would've just charged even for 12 months but get 2 free for a total of 14 - then I wouldn't be upset about you wasting my time. Now I regret taking other people's advice and wish I didn't have your backdoor spy software on my system. You are crap and I look forward to buying a new pc to clean my hard drive of you. I hope you never make another marketing ad ever and get bought out by a transparent real company that's just upfront with me and not your stupid antics. Couldn't be more disappointed, and I'm a person that expects to pay for software. Good software and protection without games. Get it together. I hope to find better options.

Avast Antivirus response

Hi Gerald, thank you for your feedback. We do have a free option: Avast Free, which does not even require you to register: https://www.avast.com/en-us/registration-free-antivirus

You may be asked for payment details on trial versions, if you wish to try a trial of our paid products, but this can be cancelled before the trial period ends. Or, you can continue using Avast Free :)

We also deeply respect your privacy and security, and you can find information on our privacy policy on our website.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I was notified 14 days before, that they would rebill me for another year. Last down on the page, there were a box for a check sign for NOT automatic renewing. I set a check for NOT. Nevertheless... They billed me for another year... And I had NOT used the program for a year. Sorry for my bad spelling, I am Danish... I speak a lot better...

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I have used the Avast free antivirus for years and it seemed adequate. I must have upgraded at some time, because Avast turned out to have my credit card ON FILE. I have never used the upgraded Avast. My wife just discovered a charge of $69 from Avast in December 2017 and notified our bank. The bank also discovered there had been charges in 2015 and 2016 that were never authorized. The bank refused the charges for 2017, thus saving me $65, which was $5 more than the original statement. Avast refused to refund my other 2 years and thus scammed me for over a $100.

I asked that my credit card information be purged from their system but all I get is the following response. "We received and processed your request in accordance with our Privacy Policy (please refer to our Privacy Policy at **)." Avast will not acknowledge that my credit card information has been purged from their files, in spite of repeated requests. Always the same response noted above. I suggest always asking if your credit card information will be retained when ordering from anyone.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I have had the same issues everyone else is having, it's, (mainly), not with the quality of the product protecting me. Problems are with "if there is an issue that requires Avast to be contacted"! I was having to disable Avast because it would not allow me to open a program. That was the only way I could open it. Could I have found the fix, likely, but the mistake was contacting Avast. I pretty much had my computer held hostage. The first so-called technical guy I talk to turned salesman. Afterwards, I was forward to a real tech. I was sold something that just created more issues. Just like everyone else, getting them to understand and correct their wrong is fruitless. I still have to disable Avast to open or configure certain programs. I was a free user because I liked the service. I added some upgrades and went to the auto-renew. I paid my hostage fee and it wasn't repaired, so I'm making a change.

Maybe I'm missing something because I believe I have a solution to all these re-billings and added charges I'm reading about. Likely most paid by credit card. I contacted my credit card company, disputed my hostage fee asking it be credited, (of course with an explanation why), and told them to block any further charges from Avast. Seems to be a done deal, I don't have to contact Avast for anything else now.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

For a couple of years I used free Avast AV with no problem and Eset online scanner as backup. First Mistake: used 'free trial' version for 30 days. [NOTE: DO NOT BE FOOLISH AND 'BITE' ON THEIR "EXTEND FREE TRIAL" BY ENTERING PAYMENT INFO. Fortunately, I didn't. It appears they charge you even if you decline to buy]. When paid version trial expired, red ink warning said “You are unprotected!" ‘Danger!' And it locked me out of firewall settings. -- Sleazy scare tactics. Gave no instruction of how to uninstall paid version, but I figured it out. Just click 'subscription' on settings page, I think it was bottom left side of screen, and click to remove. It eventually*** reverts to free version after rebooting a few times but is not a smooth process.

I then ran Eset online scanner (free, just download small installer, which I already had installed. It's an excellent stand-alone backup for all AV's). There were thirty-nine viruses/malwares on my system that was clean before starting to uninstall Avast Internet Security paid version. Yes...39, after running boot scan AND Eset online prior to uninstall of paid version said system was free of all malware. Also, when still considering buying it before all this, I had called Avast tech support (allegedly in Philippines) to ask about the System cleanup module: it would not execute properly...just spun its wheels. Only ONCE did it complete. It listed the alleged 'problems' and then...simply closed instead of actually doing anything.

The tech told me to uninstall module, reinstall, etc, and when I told him I had tried that already, he said I had 'done it wrong' then. I asked if there was some sort of bug in the program and he proceeded to state that I was the ONLY person who had EVER had a problem with it, out of their millions of users. I just laughed and said aloha. THAT was when I decided to revert to the free version. It has functioned with no problem. I wonder if the paid version has been sold to another company, or somehow 'outsourced'? That is a shame. Avast used to be a trusted name in security. I will never BUY. That division is full of scam artists.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I have the free antivirus from Avast; although they often tell you the things that are slowing down your computer and it can be fixed for a fee. They have stopped me from going into an unsafe website.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

In 2015, after using the free antivirus service for quite a long time, I decided to upgrade. I was billed either $39 or $32 (can't remember right now), for the paid subscription from 2015-2016. Somehow, an extra service was added and I was charged $59 for that. I complained to the Avast people and was told that I ordered these products and that I had also opted for the auto-renew option. I told them to cancel the $59 product and to cancel the auto-renew.

I didn't hear from them, and then discovered in 2017 that they had auto-renewed the programs again. Worse still, they told me that my original order in 2015 had been a 2-year contract so I had been charged for both programs (close to $100 per year) for two years. I was livid and spent hours on the phone trying to explain to people with accents difficult to understand what the problems were. I finally got the message through that I wanted them to cancel everything and to refund the 2nd year (2016-2017) which had not been ordered or authorized, and to return me to the free anti-virus which I had originally been using.

They cancel the two programs and refunded the charges for 2017-2018, and confirmed that the auto-renew had also been cancelled. I'm hoping this is true, but I won't know for sure until later this year. Even when the two paid subscriptions were in effect, there was no difference in the protection; however, I did notice a significant increase in junk mail in both of my email boxes. One in particular, my business email, would receive close to 100 junk emails every day which was very overwhelming. I also kept getting pop-ups from Avast wanting me to upgrade yet again to a 3rd program.

This increase in junk mail coincided with MSN changing their interface at the same time I upgraded the Avast programs. I assumed that MSN was to blame for the increase in junk mail. However, when I returned to the Avast free protection, all those junk emails stopped. I don't believe this is a coincidence. I firmly believe that Avast was responsible for all those additional junk emails getting through in order to try to coerce me into yet another paid subscription. I am still using the Avast free anti-virus program, but I am so disappointed with them and am considering purchasing either Norton or MacAfee service, or going back to AVG free service which had worked for me very well in the past. Be very careful when dealing with Avast, specifically regarding their paid services.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

One thing I really don't like about the latest Avast software is that it will occasionally present information on a pop-up page that says 14 or 15 or 20 programs are behaving poorly and your machine is running badly and some other things need to be fixed. It doesn't ever say what those things are nor does it present an opportunity for me to review the list of suspect programs or processes that they say are behaving badly, or... what exactly they are doing and what exactly is this bad behavior. They just offer a button claiming to "fix it". I've had programs like that in the past that say, "We will fix your PC for you..." They fixed it alright, I ended up having to reinstall everything.

I contacted Avast through their help page (in the antivirus software) several times and I have yet to receive a response. This unwelcome behavior persists with no apparent remedy. If it continues I'm considering going back to Avira which I used for many years and considered to be the best, especially among the free versions of the antivirus software available to the public. Avast works well, I just don't like this particular behavior. They won't explain it or provide details, so I don't trust it and I find it highly suspect. Hope that helps.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Confidence in the program and in the company: Avast does all that it proclaims to do, and it even has a free program. The paid program is not that expensive, either.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I just installed Avast and ran it once and noticed something very dangerous to do, namely it wants to fix or make corrections without letting you know what will be deleted, quarantined, or changed. I'm a techie and helped too many computer owners that took the word of a program to make corrections for them. Otherwise it appears to have a nice and simple GUI, great options and choices, but simple allowing a program to start changing files isn't wise.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

It's a great product that does what it is intended to do and is quite reasonably priced. I've used it for many years and am completely satisfied with the product.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

When I tried to log in to Avast security using a password that I had been using daily for over 6 months, I got a message that said my password was incorrect. I tried logging in several times and had to end up calling tech support. When I told them that I was blocked out and wanted to know why, their response was that they would have to take command of my computer and delete the password... At a cost of $50. I told them the problem wasn't on my end but they would not fix it unless I agreed to pay. Terrible customer relations. Stay away from them.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I have used Avast for many years. I have noticed that as long as you stick to what you intend to do on the internet, it works very well. Even if you stray just a bit the computer or laptop will be just fine.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I have used Avast for at least 10 years and have been totally satisfied. I started with the free for home version and have graduated to the premium version with a ton of extras that are great for me. It hasn't let me down yet!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I have never had my computer infected by anything since I have been using Avast. The only issues I have with them is that it seems like there is always something else they want to sell you so that you have various packages of varying protections instead of just having one or two packages. Adding these other protections adds up pretty fast, I went from the free anti-virus package which did work it seemed, to now I'm paying about $80.00/year. Still, the bottom line is that I've had no problems since I've been using Avast and I'd recommend their protection to most anyone.

Avast Antivirus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Czech-based Avast was the first company to offer home network security and is dedicated to providing free antivirus protection to homes, schools and businesses around the world. Founded in 1988 and headquartered in Prague, Czech Republic, Avast also has locations in the USA, Germany, China, South Korea and Tawain.

• Keeps your online activity private: Avast won’t sell your private information to anyone, including the NSA, CIA or government.

• Unbreakable password: One unbreakable password protects all of your system’s other passwords.

• International: Find a business partner around the world who speaks your language and can provide local service.

• Saves schools money: Schools can get protection from threats and viruses for free without limitations on seats or time.

• Avast SecureLine: Avast’s SecureLine protects your iOS devices so you can maintain a secure connection on the go.

• No tracking with SecureLine: Avast SecureLine doesn’t keep logs of your online activity so what you do online is completely secure and untraceable.

• Best for: Individuals, schools and businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
    Shelley Elmblad

Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Avast Antivirus Company Information