2.64/5
Based on 111 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

148 Avast Antivirus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 11, 2018

My computer began slowing down and videos were freezing up. I tried Avast Boot Scan for the first time, and now my computer is having serious freezing/locking up issues ALL OVER!! So, I'm in the Dominican Republic, and the only number I see listed is the 844 number. Tried googling for an AVAST international number to call but there isn't one. Biggest surprise is these non-customer service professionals have a chat room where I can contact a tech. THIS IS UNHEARD OF!!

So, in a nutshell, my computer is locking and freezing in all websites and videos due to running their boot scan for the first time, I can't contact customer service because these unprofessionals don't have an international phone number on their website??? And lastly, NO CHAT ROOM FOR TECH???!!! What the devil??? For minimal customer service, I'll need someone from Avast (preferable a tech) to contact me with their E-MAIL ADDRESS so that I can contact them and perhaps get the problem resolved completely. Also, I'm continually having to cut the VPN on, and I want it on AT ALL TIMES. I have the setting on for this, but it still keeps shutting off.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: June 10, 2018 ALL MY DESKTOP FILES GONE!! AVAST CANNOT EVEN RETRIEVE THEM! What a waste of time and money. After Avast recommended I clean up my PC 100% It did more! It deleted my desktop files and can't recover them now, after I contacted the technical department - they informed me they are now irretrievable!

After reading all the online reviews at various review sites I realize now that I have made a BIG mistake in choosing this company. It appears that it used to be a good product but judging from other reviewers online - apparently NOT. I guess my files are gone forever and one would expect a company to have some sort of retrieve files tool in their product. Considering my time and money spent and especially the missing files this is a huge disaster!!!

Hi, Denis:

We assure you our software would not delete any files without your permission. You may be able to restore your files by clicking Protection>Virus Chest, check the files to restore, click the drop down arrow next to "Delete", and click restore.

The Rescue Center also allows you to undo certain changes made by Cleanup Premium (click the rescue icon on the right side of the Cleanup Premium interface).

If you require further assistance, please contact us privately.

-Avast Team

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: June 9, 2018

I keep getting notified my Avast is about to expire. I was recently charged over $70 for this program, and started a review of the credit card charges associated with Avast. I have been overbilled since 2013! I had a go around with this company at the end of 2013 for a refund. I never received a credit, but did receive a letter from Avast stating I was approved for refund. I will now delete this program. Like many others, I work two jobs and have no time to dispute all of these charges. This is the reason so many online "companies" can make undeserved money. We simply do not have enough time, and end up conscientiously paying our bills without enough scrutiny, which is the BIG problem today! It really hurts the ethically conducted businesses who use the Internet for sales. This experience with online purchases and many others I've fallen victim to, sends me to brick and mortar, and REAL people.

Hi, Linda:

We would like to get more information about this. It's likely you originally purchased the software at a discounted "new customer" price. All renewals are done at full price and you are given the option to automatically renew when first setting up your software.

Please contact us privately with more details, any support ticket information you may have received, receipts, etc, so we can investigate and assist you further.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: June 6, 2018

In the two-three years I've used Avast, I've been pleased overall with the efficiency of the program. I purchased their "Premier" package last year, and all was going well--UNTIL A Microsoft update blew my system into near oblivion, and in the rescue process many of my downloads were erased, including Avast. Today I called Avast support, and was led straight down the garden path by two individuals whose English was poor and motivation was clearly written in dollar signs. In the end, they attempted to hook me into an ongoing support program which would have cost me $200 beyond the fee I already paid. When I hung up, I had still had no Avast Premier, but I certainly had a VERY poor opinion of this money-grubbing company.

Hi, Jamie:

We're sorry to hear you had this experience and would like to ensure you were speaking with genuine Avast support as support is included in our Premier package. Please contact us privately with the phone number you called and more details so we can investigate further.

To restore your subscription, simply download the Free version and insert your activation code (Menu>My Licenses). This code can be found under Licenses in your Avast account.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: May 31, 2018

Years ago the service was 5 star. In the past few years they've sourced it out and it's impossible to know what co. you're dealing with. If you renewed, for example, on 6/1/17 another co. who handles Avast will send alerts stating that you're license has expired. There is no way to contact Avast to complain because of the other outsourcing cos. involved and it's impossible to know which one you've initially purchased the software from.

Hi, Louise:

A list of approved vendors can be found here: https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/Fraudulent-sales

If you have any additional questions, we would be happy to help! Contact us privately here and let us know.

-Avast Team

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avast Antivirus?

Original review: May 30, 2018

Avast is free, easy to download, and works equally as well, if not better than the programs that you have to purchase. My employer prefers it to all other programs and I use it at home as well.

Hi, Robin:

Thanks for choosing Avast for your security needs!

-Avast Team

Original review: May 27, 2018

I like Avast. I've had it for years. It was the first anti software I ever used and I'm still using it. I never had a problem with it that I had to call service dept. And it's free too.

Hi, Nancy:

We're happy to hear it! Thanks for being a loyal Avast customer over the years!

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: May 26, 2018

I got a bad virus from Avast Antivirus and I have been trying to find another free one. Also, I have been trying to get one to help me not to hurt me if possible which I'm starting to think not.

Hi, Jacqueline:

Our software is designed to protect you from viruses, not give them to you. We'd like to get more information about what you're experiencing so we can assist you better. Please contact us privately with further details so we can help get this cleared up for you.

-Avast Team

Original review: May 25, 2018

I have used and trusted Avast for many years and have never had any trouble with this product. I have found that this software is better than Norton or McAfee. Avast Antivirus can be trusted and I recommend this software to anyone.

Hi, Joann:

Thanks for being a loyal customer over the years and for your feedback!

-Avast Team

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have used Avast over the last 5 years or so including the IP masking software. I disliked the IP proxy software as it would not work with certain websites I elected to frequent, and I don't feel Avast has the right to determine what sites I do or do not frequent. Other than this, I know their antivirus software is very robust and easy to work with, so I pay for multiple machine coverage. Great product.

Hi, Bill:

Thanks for choosing Avast! We're thrilled to hear you've been pleased with our antivirus software. You can add exclusions to specific URLs, files, etc, by clicking Menu>Settings>Exclusions. If you have any additional questions or require additional assistance, please contact us privately and we'll be happy to help!

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: May 22, 2018

I have spent the last two days trying to get through Avast sales business team and it seems they do not care about supporting possible new clients. I have just spent 30 minute on the phone, after been transferred from Avast support team, waiting for anyone in the business department to answer the phone so I can ask a question about your services. I have a company with 45 employees that are in need of a solution like Avast (or at least the solution is in the information shown in your website) and it seems you (Avast) do not care or have the need of gaining more clients.

There is no telephone number to contact the business team. There is no UK number to contact the business team. After you get through someone on the non business side, their only suggestion is to provide a location US number. This is after answering a call made to Avast's UK customer support number (0800 085 4825). Their customer support team cannot think further from their script/training. Although your website offers solutions to Mac systems, your customer support team does not offer solutions for Macs. What is the correct answer? Not having a 24/7 business customer support is just unprofessional. If you ask me today, with the experience I have had in the last two days, I will never become customer of Avast.

Hi, Mr:

We apologize for any inconvenience and would like to help answer your questions, please feel free to respond to us here. Avast Business does support Mac workstations.

You can also contact our business team directly online; this goes directly to our business support team, who then will get in touch with you on your case:

Finally, you can message us here with your business case # for followup.

-Avast Team

Original review: May 21, 2018

I used this software for a group of computers for grade school students and didn't have any problems keeping the updating schedule and virus scans. I haven't used the customer support, but the knowledge database is helpful. I have found this to be the less hands-on software. Set it and forget it.

Hi, Silvana:

Thank you for choosing Avast!

Original review: May 20, 2018

I'm not sure if there's a free version for Avast, but I have paid for this so called antivirus, that is slowing down my computer. It's not an antivirus when it constantly installs things on your computer, and constantly send pop-ups with messages prompting you to "scan" to find the stuff it installed and then asks you to "upgrade" and pay more to remove the stuff that this so called antivirus has installed on your computer causing it slow down.

Do NOT believe the reviews on PC Mag because they are paid for by Avast. They won't let me submit an independent review from an actual consumer. Read the consumers' comments on PC Mag reviews instead. They are honest and accurate. DO NOT BUY THIS VICIOUS SOFTWARE THAT SLOWS DOWN YOUR COMPUTER PROMPTING YOU TO BUY UPGRADES. I see a pop-ups from Avast on an average of 10 minutes. Extremely annoying, especially when you're in the middle of typing something important, such as this review.

Hi Rana,

Our team works hard to keep Avast light on your system; you shouldn't be noticing any performance issues at all! Can you tell us how you are measuring this (through Task Manager, etc.? What are you seeing?)

Also, if you have an upgraded version, you can easily disable notifications for other Avast products in the Settings menu.

Please get in touch with us directly here so we can work with you to get things working perfectly!

Original review: May 20, 2018

I have used Avast Antivirus for over 15 years and they have never let me down. While operating in the background it has prevented countless attacks and quarantined programs before they activated. Great software from a great company.

Hi, Robert:

Thank you for being a loyal Avast customer over the years!

-Avast Team

Original review: May 19, 2018

It seems to keep my computer running just fine. Never have any issues. A very good antivirus software. My husband is the "tech" in our house & he is the person who installed it.

Hi, Connie:

Thanks for choosing Avast for your security needs!

-Avast Team

Original review: May 18, 2018

Have used Avast for years with great performance. Only thing I don't like is constant trickery to buy an advanced package. Have it installed on several computers & recommend it often.

Hi, Michelle:

Thanks for choosing Avast! We give our upgraded customers the ability to disable our notifications by clicking on Menu>Settings>Privacy and unchecking the appropriate boxes. If you have any other questions, we would be happy to assist you privately. Just let us know!

Thanks, again!

Original review: May 17, 2018

Avast charged me 85.00 dollars for services I don't even have. I called customer service. They were very rude. Told me I was hacked and needed to pay a fee to get my money back. And then hung up on me.

Hi, Kathy:

Please contact us privately with the phone number you dialed as we would like to investigate this further and put you in contact with genuine Avast support. We can assure you we would never charge you for anything without your express permission, so any details you can include (date of charge, amount, name listed as biller on your billing statement, etc) would be helpful.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I have been using Avast for at least 5 years. There have been several incidents where a virus was blocked by it. They notify me as to the actions I need to take. They also have available ransom protection and online secure VPN line.

Hi, Julie:

We're happy to be of service! Thanks for choosing Avast!

-Avast Team

Original review: May 15, 2018

Got a notice that there was an update on my Avast Anti-virus program. Did it and had to reboot. When I tried to put my password in, my computer wouldn't accept it and locked me out. Called Avast tech support and the only way they knew how to fix it was to bring it back to factory settings and I'd lose EVERYTHING on my computer. They told me to pay for a tech to fix it. I told them they need to cover that charge as their program was the problem. Spent $239 with Dell who was able to save my computer. They found no viruses, malware, or ransomware. It was the Avast update that caused it. Contacted Avast and after 1 1/2 hours of talking to everyone I could they wouldn't pay me back the $239 I had to pay Dell. DO NOT GET AVAST PRODUCTS!!

Hi, K K:

Thanks for reaching out! This is an unusual issue and our software should not have had any effect on your device's lock settings, but we'd like to look into the matter further. Please contact us directly with your support ticket information, error messages, which version of Windows you're running, and what Dell indicated caused the issue so we can investigate.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: May 14, 2018

I'm pretty satisfied with Avast for the most part now that they've finally come out with the new safe web browser and other new programs. However, one annoying thing I keep running into is the fact that the VPN keeps shutting off for some reason. I have the selection to turn on automatically when connecting to unsecure wi-fi as well as selection to show current status in Windows notification area -- however, neither of these have ever worked for the 9 months I've had it. It would be great for the VPN to automatically connect every time I open the browser, which I assume happens, but after I surf the net I think about checking and more times than not, it's off.

Hi, Mason:

Thanks for reaching out! We're glad to hear you've been pleased with our web browser and antivirus software, and we'd like to help resolve the issue you're having with the VPN software. It sounds as if you may have had issues with your initial installation. Running on online repair or a fresh install may help resolve this. Please contact us privately with more details so we can further assist you.

-Avast Team

Original review: May 10, 2018

I paid for and downloaded their internet software package and immediately started having various problems. Suddenly, among other things, I was being asked for a Microsoft password for Outlook, that must be entered, the only password I had for Outlook was not recognized. I contacted their tech department, I was helped by a lady whose English I could barely understand. She was able to get my password reset, but in her remotely rebooting my computer, a box suddenly appeared saying a particular registry file was now missing, which caused a number of problems. I was told by her they could fix that, if I paid for their tech support, what????

They create a problem and then want me to pay them to fix it? That's absolute insanity, right out of SCAM land. This was then repeated to me by an arrogant supervisor. So, bottom line: THEY WANT YOU TO PAY THEM TO CORRECT THEIR MISTAKES!!! I photographed every screen as she was working on my computer. So, we'll see. I strongly suggest you avoid these people like the plague!!!

Hi Jim,

We would normally recommend that you contact Microsoft (or your internal IT folks) to have them reset your Outlook password. Avast Internet Security would have no ability to change or modify your Outlook account.

We'd also like to investigate your support call; we're concerned you were not in touch with Avast genuine support. Please privately contact us here with your license number and case or ticket # from the call, so we can work with you personally.

Avast Team

Original review: May 8, 2018

I have had an AVAST Internet security subscription for years. The product is OK but the customer support none existent. The biggest problem is their scamming business methods. In November my subscription got upgraded (customer loyalty) to include their PC clean up product. I didn't care and never chose it nor used it. Then in May 2018 (because they already have my credit card details) they then bill me for the PC clean up product as "automatic renewal". But I have never asked for it. Dont want it and now I have to fight for a refund for a service I never signed up to. This is a behaviour of criminal character. I will now cancel everything with this immense fraudulent company. AVAST is a scammer. Stay away!

Hi Carsten,

We'd like to assure you that we would never bill you, or renew a subscription, unless you had approved it. Our team will investigate this directly with you to resolve any problems you had with your renewal. Please contact us with the information on your account (order or invoice #, email you used, your Avast license info, anything we can use to look it up) and we'll make sure things are corrected.

Avast Team

Original review: May 4, 2018

Avast frequently pops-up screens stating that your computer "might be" at risk and solicitations to upgrade your antivirus program to some paid subscription service: Avast Internet Security, Avast SecureLine or something else. This is an aggressive and unfair promotion of their products. However, the problems start once you buy one of these updates. When I subscribed to Avast SecureLine, the license exclusively states that it is a Multi-device upgrade. Beware of the trick! once you buy one of these updates. When I subscribed to Avast SecureLine, the license exclusively states that it is a Multi-device upgrade. Beware of the trick!

When I called Avast support, the support person (Brian) tried to explain me that (surprisingly!!!) "Multi-device" means one computer!!! Similarly, I upgraded to Avast Internet Security, and the license is for "one user". But in the minds of these guys "one user" also means just one computer. These are all tricks to get money from the customers. What is a "device", what is a "computer" and what is a "user" is twisted in order to put hand into the customer's wallet. Ugly and unacceptable business practice!

Hi George,

We do have notifications in our Free antivirus about other Avast products you may like -- those can be disabled if you upgrade to paid antivirus.

For SecureLine, we have several options. If you only want to use it on up to 5 PC's, you can purchase up to 5 Windows licenses. We also have a multi-device option which supports 5 activations on multiple device types.

We'd like to help straighten things out with your licenses -- please reach out to us so we can work with you personally!

Original review: April 25, 2018

I called customer service to resolve an issue regarding the malfunction of their program. Neither the scan, the cleanup, nor the vpn were working. According to them, the issue was complicated and needed to be resolved with another of their (costly) product. I downloaded another free anti-virus, found the threats (that Avast was unable to detect apparently) and deleted them. I proceeded to reboot my computer and everything worked. It took me 5 min (including rebooting my computer) to do so and no money. If a free anti-virus does a better job, why should I stay with Avast? Especially when they expect me to pay more when their product doesn't work.

Avast Antivirus response

Hi Kevin -- we're very concerned about this and would like to help. You shouldn't be seeing these issues with Avast Free. Can you contact us with more specific information? It will be helpful to know: exactly which Avast products you were using, the OS and update version running on your PC, and more details on what wasn't working (specific events). Please let us know and we'll work with you to get things running as they should be, and we appreciate your patience.

Avast Team

Original review: April 23, 2018

It needs to give me more bang for the bucks it charges. Overall, it stops viruses and it works well. It works very efficiently and lets you know when your subscription is due to renew.

Avast Antivirus response

Thanks Robert, we're glad you are enjoying Avast and that we're helping to keep your PC protected.

Can you tell us more about the features and functionality you are looking for? Which product are you using currently?

Avast Team

Original review: April 22, 2018

I have used Avast Antivirus and used to be satisfied, but not as good as used to be, always pushing you to buy. I have bought it but it seemed to disappear and cannot find it.

Avast Antivirus response

Hi Donna, we'd like to help. It is true that Avast Free will occasionally show notifications for other Avast products and is how we can support a Free option. We work hard to provide the best experience for our Free users.

If you have purchased Avast and have an active license, please reach out to our support team with the email you used to purchase, and we can help track it down. You may also want to search your emails for your purchase receipt. Let us know!

Original review: April 18, 2018

In the past I was pleased with AVAST. However when I receive my new iPhone X, the software preempted the effective communication of my Gmail. The determination was the address software was stopping Gmail from being sent. I have this technicians told me candidly they do not really support the Apple OS. And they were not sure what they could do. I discontinued the software. The rub is I had over 400 days left on my subscription and billing refuse to credit me any of the money back. So now I am paying over a year's subscription for software I cannot use not do I now have on my devices.

Hi Patrick,

We'd like to help you out! We have several apps for iOS, but they are different than Avast Antivirus on your PC or Mac. Can you tell us exactly which Avast app you were using on your iPhone, and how you were using it? Also, how did you purchase the subscription (through the App Store?)

Please contact us and we'll be happy to work with you to get to the bottom of the issue!

Original review: April 18, 2018

These people are always advising you of updates without really advising you if you're just updating software or if you'll be charged. Never actually shows anything about the price or if you are going to be charged. I absolutely hate this. If you ask for a refund, they say "Oh, it'll take 5-7 days to process your refund". They certainly can charge you in 24 hours -- but no they cannot do the refund immediately. My opinion is stay clear of this company.

Hi Shelda,

We are always updating Avast to ensure the best protection and performance for our customers, so you may get notices from the app that tell you when Avast has updated.

This is not the same as upgrading; you would be required to go through the purchase process in order for your initial subscription to be created and charged.

If you're having any issues at all with your subscription, please reach out to us and we'll make sure things are taken care of!

Original review: April 18, 2018

Avast used to be my anti-virus software of choice years ago but it seems like they've sold out to some sketchy company. I signed up for the 'free' trial and it kept prompting me for a special price of $19.99 to get the premium version of the software. At the end of the 30-day trial my bank account was charged $42.79! I got the phone number associated with the charge from my bank because I could not locate a contact phone number on the Avast site. Upon calling I got in touch with a call center staffed by Indians.

After 20-minutes on the phone I was told that my premium account had been canceled and the $42.79 charge would be refunded to my bank account. Well, I never got a refund. In addition to that the software kept prompting me to sign-up for the premium version. If I didn't get a refund then I should still have the premium version of the software, right? After four-months without a refund I called Avast back to verify that I should be entitled to the premium version of the software since I never got a refund. Again I got an Indian man at a call center. Whenever I call they want to have remote access to my computer. I went ahead and allowed the guy to access my computer in order to activate the premium version of their software.

But that's not what the guy did. Instead he started rooting around in my browser history and telling me that I'd visited all these unsecured websites that had messed up my computer. He was going to refer me to a technician in my area to have my computer serviced. My computer is only four-months old!!! There's not a thing wrong with it. In addition to that, it turned out that I do not have the premium version of their software but have some additional software that's supposed to just clean-up unnecessary files on my computer. So for $42.79 I didn't even get their premium software but some useless side-app. The bottom line is that this is a company that has virtually no customer service and appears to be a dishonest racket. Run!

Avast Antivirus response

Hi Danny, we're very concerned here and would like to help. First, we'd like to ensure that you contacted Avast official support (as compared to a third party separate from our customer service.)

Our official support team can be contacted here: https://support.avast.com/en-us

Please privately respond to us with the information from your original purchase, the phone number you contacted, and any additional information you were provided -- we'll get things straightened out.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Easy to install and great support. The cost is nearly zero compared to most! Great value, excellent service, never had a problem in years. Would recommend it to anyone.

Avast Antivirus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Czech-based Avast was the first company to offer home network security and is dedicated to providing free antivirus protection to homes, schools and businesses around the world. Founded in 1988 and headquartered in Prague, Czech Republic, Avast also has locations in the USA, Germany, China, South Korea and Tawain.

• Keeps your online activity private: Avast won’t sell your private information to anyone, including the NSA, CIA or government.

• Unbreakable password: One unbreakable password protects all of your system’s other passwords.

• International: Find a business partner around the world who speaks your language and can provide local service.

• Saves schools money: Schools can get protection from threats and viruses for free without limitations on seats or time.

• Avast SecureLine: Avast’s SecureLine protects your iOS devices so you can maintain a secure connection on the go.

• No tracking with SecureLine: Avast SecureLine doesn’t keep logs of your online activity so what you do online is completely secure and untraceable.

• Best for: Individuals, schools and businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
    Shelley Elmblad

Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Avast Antivirus Company Information