3.8/5 (311 ratings)

About Avast Antivirus

Avast Antivirus Software provides protection for your devices from viruses, malware and other potential internet threats. Avast is known for offering features you don’t often find in a free program, including a Wi-Fi network scanner, a password manager and a gaming mode.

Pros

• Password manager
  • Customizable protection
  • Free product is robust

Cons

• Previously sold user data
  • Can slow your device

Bottom Line

Avast Antivirus Software provides both free and premium protection against risks to your devices. The free version is pretty thorough, but the paid version adds many useful features.

Top Avast Antivirus Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I discovered Avast by accident… I'm rather glad I did though, they deliver the protection in which they claim. … I'd highly recommend all that uses today's technology on a regula...

Verified

The Avast has been very good. I have not had any problems since using it. My computer has always been online. I would recommend avast. Avast has kept my computer clean. The price ...

What is Avast Software?

Avast is antivirus software designed to protect your devices. A subsidiary of AVG Antivirus, Avast is currently one of the most popular antivirus programs available. The company offers free and paid options for customers.

Along with antivirus and anti-malware software, Avast offers several other security services. Users can also purchase a virtual privacy network (VPN), anti-tracking software and BreachGuard.

What does Avast Software do?

The free program offers malware protection, a performance scanner and a scan scheduler. Its basic scan also finds network issues, out-of-date software, weak passwords, malicious browser add-ons and more. Features such as an email scanner, a secure browser and a URL screener are all available for free as separate tools.

As for the antivirus and malware scanning itself, independent lab tests give it a high rating. Avast detects most forms of malware before they reach your computer by quarantining and deleting the files. If it can't stop the malware before, it interrupts the downloading process.

The premium Avast software adds several features. These include:

• A file shredder
  • Webcam protection
  • Automatic software updater
  • A firewall
  • Spam protection
  • Secure folders for important files
  • Protection from phishing sites (sites that duplicate important login screens to steal information)

Avast Cleanup Premium helps improve your computer’s performance, and its driver updater takes care of old or broken drivers. Not everyone will find these premium features necessary, but they can be helpful. If you’re looking for more basic coverage, the Avast free software will do.

Avast antivirus price

Avast has a free option and paid options. While its free coverage is thorough, there are several benefits to the premium options. A one-year subscription for a single Mac or PC device is $69.99. You can upgrade your coverage to include as many as 10 devices for $89.99 a year. This includes PC, Mac, Android and iOS devices.

There is also an Ultimate option that includes a secure-line VPN, Premium Cleanup and Passwords Premium. Ultimate costs $99.99 annually for a single device or $119.99 a year for 10 devices. You can try the single-device subscription free for 30 days without a credit card, and there is a 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied.

Avast FAQ

How good is Avast Antivirus?
Avast Antivirus is generally ranked as a good program. Its free software is surprisingly robust, though its premium product isn’t always worth the upgrade for some users.
Is Avast safe for Macs?
Avast is safe for your Mac computer or laptop. It offers full protection for free.
Where is Avast located?
The Avast headquarters is in Prague, Czech Republic. There are Avast offices around the world, including two in the United States.
What is Avast behavior shield?
Avast behavior shield adds a layer of active protection to your antivirus program. It monitors for suspicious behavior in code.
Is Avast malware?
Avast is not malware and is safe to use on your computer or mobile devices. Its purpose is to detect and stop malware before it harms your system.

Is Avast safe?

Avast is a highly popular antivirus program and has been for a long time. It provides good malware protection and several features that you don’t often find in free software. Many people appreciate the password manager or Wi-Fi network scanner. If you’re looking for extra protection from internet threats, it’s worth checking out Avast Antivirus.

Avast Antivirus Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avast Antivirus?

Original review: June 26, 2021

I use AVG free and Avast free. These two anti virus programs work great, just as good as anything you can buy. I have never had any issue on any of my computers nor has anyone I have recommended these to. Also, the big anti-virus programs are just too full of bloat ware and take up way to much space on the hard drive.

Original review: June 18, 2021

I use the free version of Avast, and it helps me with notices in real time when there is a problem. It blocks malware on websites, and it even helps me to update software on my PC. I plan to upgrade to the paid version for even more helpful functions.

Get buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 16, 2021

The free service is very good. However, to get any problems fixed on clean up (even though I subscribe to the upgraded service, meaning a secure Internet) they want you to subscribe to an additional service, meaning you need to to spend more money - and it doesn't let you empty out the trash file on your own.

Original review: June 13, 2021

Avast recommended by a computer friend. Does work on my computer. I did research. Seems fine to use. Had no issues at this time. Going on 3 years. I was using AVG free & had an issue...big time. Took hrs to clean up & upgrade to a better antivirus. Everyone has their favorite. Choose what will work for you. Doing free anti-virus is fine till you have an issue. Be best do your research, what will work for you, how often use your computer...work or home & information on your computer.

Original review: June 12, 2021

Great program! Even has a money saving app with it that shows cheaper prices and coupons. Has caught a lot of viruses and trojan horses on my computer! The price is right as it is free but you can buy the full program for a yearly fee. They are always up to date on their virus definitions and easy directions explained throughout the system!

Original review: July 26, 2021

Avast keeps putting large blue squares in front of what I am doing on my screen, even after I canceled my subscription. Their constant ads to upgrade was one of the reasons I canceled. I do not know how to stop these ads since there is no way to contact them about it.

Original review: July 10, 2021

When I bought Avast VPN and security software they never make it clear they use automatic renewal and just charged me over $100 to try to renew software I did not need. I do not know why America has no law against the default for purchases to include automatic renewal. This is a sneaky way to to behave. They send you an email which was buried in my spam. All other subscription products I use tell you when the subscription is going to expire IN THE APPLICATION. Avast just steals your money after an email.

Original review: June 17, 2021

I TRUST Them And They Are Doing A Good Job Keeping My Online Things Safe. I Just Set It Up For Auto Scan And They Stay On Top Of My Updates. Good Job. All Anti-virus Can Do Better In Different Areas And So Far They Have Kept Me Protected

Original review: June 15, 2021

I had been using Avast for 2 to 3 years and found this antivirus very useless, cannot be trusted, and recently they behave like a scam to consumers. When Avast was still installed in my computer, I was still victims of viruses, and trojan horse still brought me to the wrong website and collected my information through their fake websites. Avast also loaded my computer with so much of their advertisement that made my computer very slow and constantly draining my battery.

Avast is not only very weak and cannot be trusted, but it is scary too that made me stay away in any of their application because it is acting like a scam recently. Beware! Avast lure the consumer to install their "free antivirus", then, once avast completely managing your computer, it is pushing lots of applications including a "premium free trial" that will automatically renew without your knowledge and consent. You would only shock that your credit card already charge with very expensive avast charge, but it's too late because Avast would never refund your money back even the fact that you did not subscribe it, and even the fact that it is only a couple of hours after the autorenewal date. It was such very very bad business I ever encountered in my life; Avast charged my credit card for $53.00 right after I uninstalled avast antivirus in my computer and never refund my money even I did not use their antivirus. Beware of avast antivirus! Do not be a victim like me. Sad...

Original review: June 15, 2021

I love Avast. Always working on my computer and phone. We've never had a problem with it in the about ten years we've had it. I would recommend it to everyone. It's relatively low priced as well.

Avast Antivirus Company Information