2.5/5 (533 ratings)

About Avast Antivirus

Avast Antivirus Software provides protection for your devices from viruses, malware and other potential internet threats. Avast is known for offering features you don’t often find in a free program, including a Wi-Fi network scanner, a password manager and a gaming mode.

Pros

• Password manager
  • Customizable protection
  • Free product is robust

Cons

• Previously sold user data
  • Can slow your device

Bottom Line

Avast Antivirus Software provides both free and premium protection against risks to your devices. The free version is pretty thorough, but the paid version adds many useful features.

Top Avast Antivirus Reviews

Verified

I discovered Avast by accident… I'm rather glad I did though, they deliver the protection in which they claim. … I'd highly recommend all that uses today's technology on a regula...

Verified

The Avast has been very good. I have not had any problems since using it. My computer has always been online. I would recommend avast. Avast has kept my computer clean. The price ...

What is Avast Software?

Avast is antivirus software designed to protect your devices. A subsidiary of AVG Antivirus, Avast is currently one of the most popular antivirus programs available. The company offers free and paid options for customers.

Along with antivirus and anti-malware software, Avast offers several other security services. Users can also purchase a virtual privacy network (VPN), anti-tracking software and BreachGuard.

What does Avast Software do?

The free program offers malware protection, a performance scanner and a scan scheduler. Its basic scan also finds network issues, out-of-date software, weak passwords, malicious browser add-ons and more. Features such as an email scanner, a secure browser and a URL screener are all available for free as separate tools.

As for the antivirus and malware scanning itself, independent lab tests give it a high rating. Avast detects most forms of malware before they reach your computer by quarantining and deleting the files. If it can't stop the malware before, it interrupts the downloading process.

The premium Avast software adds several features. These include:

• A file shredder
  • Webcam protection
  • Automatic software updater
  • A firewall
  • Spam protection
  • Secure folders for important files
  • Protection from phishing sites (sites that duplicate important login screens to steal information)

Avast Cleanup Premium helps improve your computer’s performance, and its driver updater takes care of old or broken drivers. Not everyone will find these premium features necessary, but they can be helpful. If you’re looking for more basic coverage, the Avast free software will do.

Avast antivirus price

Avast has a free option and paid options. While its free coverage is thorough, there are several benefits to the premium options. A one-year subscription for a single Mac or PC device is $69.99. You can upgrade your coverage to include as many as 10 devices for $89.99 a year. This includes PC, Mac, Android and iOS devices.

There is also an Ultimate option that includes a secure-line VPN, Premium Cleanup and Passwords Premium. Ultimate costs $99.99 annually for a single device or $119.99 a year for 10 devices. You can try the single-device subscription free for 30 days without a credit card, and there is a 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied.

Avast FAQ

How good is Avast Antivirus?
Avast Antivirus is generally ranked as a good program. Its free software is surprisingly robust, though its premium product isn’t always worth the upgrade for some users.
Is Avast safe for Macs?
Avast is safe for your Mac computer or laptop. It offers full protection for free.
Where is Avast located?
The Avast headquarters is in Prague, Czech Republic. There are Avast offices around the world, including two in the United States.
What is Avast behavior shield?
Avast behavior shield adds a layer of active protection to your antivirus program. It monitors for suspicious behavior in code.
Is Avast malware?
Avast is not malware and is safe to use on your computer or mobile devices. Its purpose is to detect and stop malware before it harms your system.

Is Avast safe?

Avast is a highly popular antivirus program and has been for a long time. It provides good malware protection and several features that you don’t often find in free software. Many people appreciate the password manager or Wi-Fi network scanner. If you’re looking for extra protection from internet threats, it’s worth checking out Avast Antivirus.

Avast Antivirus Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avast Antivirus?

Original review: April 14, 2021

Avast deducted $49.99 from my account without my Knowledge, noticing this I filed for a refund on March 31st 2021. They said they'll refund on or before 7 working days, until today Nothing has happened, No refunds & no communication, 14/04/2021, I am very very disappointed with AVAST.

Original review: April 9, 2021

Someone filed unemployment benefits in my name while having this software. It's unreliable and expensive. You'll still have issues even though you subscribe to the service. You're charged another good chunk of change when you call to get your issues fixed, but they tell you on the phone they can give you a deal and take some of the expense off. It's all a sales pitch. Even after you have been paying for protection, you will see things on your screen like you can get battery improvement or have an even more in depth cleaning of your computer if you pay more. There are other add on charges as well which just nickels and dimes you. Many of the technicians are hard to understand when you call for help, and since Avast is not based here, you will be charged an international fee in addition to what you already pay.

Get buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 14, 2021

I had an Avast account for some years now and I subscribe to a couple of products. The last renewal is a really bad experience for me specifically with the technical support. The Customer support agents don't have a clue about their software and they repeat to me solutions that they have on their website without resolving my issue. The only thing that they repeat is "Thank you for your patience", "Give me a couple of minutes" and in the end, they don't solve the problem. They want to remotely fix the problem but I don't let them do that if they don't have a clue about my issue. Still at this moment didn't resolve my issue. One thing that others reported in their reviews is that I have multiple licenses for the same product. That's a scam and I will notify my credit card to report like that. Technical Support is not helpful at all. PLEASE READ ALL THE REVIEWS BEFORE YOU BUY. I AM LOOKING FOR ALTERNATIVES...

Original review: March 5, 2021

Avast made an unauthorized charge on my credit card. I had an acct with them years ago that was cancelled. They kept my credit card info and charged my card $74.63 that was unauthorized. This is theft. This is what this company does, Uses past customers that no longer have an account and use their credit card to take money out of people's credit card. I’m glad I found it this year. I don’t know if I missed other charges before. Buyer Beware.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

I have used the Avast in the past and I don't know that it's any better than the rest but I have uninstalled all of their products off of all three of my devices. I had antivirus and they also clean your devices. I haven't used them in probably a year or longer. I just got a warning from my Gmail account telling me AVAST was wanting to access my Google Drive. How could they? They're not even on my devices? Anyway that worried me quite a bit. I contacted Google and changed my passwords but it still concerns me.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

I've had the paid Avast Premium software for a number of years. When I upgraded my computer and Windows to the latest products, Avast crashed my computer every day with the dreaded blue screen. I know it was Avast as I uninstalled their software for several months several times. It's easy to tell: when Avast is installed... Crash every day; when Avast is removed...no crashes of any kind!

So I contacted Tech Support in mid-December, they didn't reply until the end of the month and their solution completely crashed my entire operating system! I had to restore to a previous version of Windows! I wrote to them again, it took them two more weeks to respond and once again gave me a cryptic answer, no solution, no help whatsoever! So, I uninstalled the program for the 4th time, no crashes, no blue screen, no problems, I'm using Malware Bytes and Windows 10 Defender instead. Smooth as glass! Stay away from this software! Avast may have been good years ago, but now it's a mess!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

Avast continues to charge us for duplicate services and to charge services to our credit card without our authorization. In order to request a refund, you have to go through a complex form online; they do not publish their phone number. They do not seem to publish an email address for support. In general, a terrible company to do business with.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

Avast puts their software on your computer without you knowing it and then give you a 30 day trial without you knowing it. If they have your credit card number then it bills you for the software. I have had trouble since day one with their VPN product. It causes my Outlook email to now work and will not allow me to send out emails. I have disabled VPN and it has stuck something in the Outlook program. Calling the AVAST 800 number is a fiasco as you have to wait upwards of an hour to speak to anyone. Once you do get someone on the phone, they do not have a clue how other software works with AVAST. I have twice spent $70.00 for individual technical support only to have their "specialist" take control of my computer and them moving the cursor all over and causing nonsense programs to run. They tell you that it will take several hours to fix the problem, hoping you will go away and not watch them move the cursor all over the monitor screen.

I have watch them and have asked them what they are doing and they say that they are fixing the computer. I have spent money on other sources to fix my computer because the so called "tech experts" have not fixed the problems caused by AVAST software. I am seriously looking at other anti-virus software because AVAST is screwing up my computer and I cannot get some of the applications to work. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND YOU SPEND THE MONEY FOR SOMETHING THAT WILL DO BAD THINGS TO YOUR COMPUTER!!!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I prepaid a 1year subscription to Avast antivirus, I only have a desktop and a laptop, so at most I just need the 1 or 2 device protection... I always look for a good deal... and found it for $24.99. Somehow someway in the sign up process Avast must've eluded me and activated the renewal option... I'm VERY picky about any automatic renewal with anything I buy, I never like to get auto renewal. Because it's unexpected as to when you get charged again, and I guarantee most people will be pretty mad when a year ago you bought antivirus, and now a year later you notice a charge for much more. So you really get an unpleasant surprise when you see a charge, I do this with Amazon and other subcription based products... I always make sure auto renew is off.

I'm guessing Avast must put the auto renew info in some area or small print you really can't see when you sign up and buy the 1 year subscription.... So 1 year passes... without me even thinking about it, because I'm a no auto renew type of person, and Avast went ahead and charged me 84.99 for another year of Avast. So they auto renewed me without wanting to be auto renewed... and they automatically upgraded me to a 10 device premium plan without me even consenting, or asking for such a higher priced product during renewal. I called support naturally, and requested a refund which they DENIED!... I want people to be aware of Avast Antivirus A.K.A. "Digital River INC's." scam tactics, and don't want this to happen to anybody else...

Your best bet is to NEVER purchase Avast... just use a the free version of Avast so you won't get charged in the first place... which is when they store your payment info and make it difficult to find and remove... and they by default activate automatic renew, probably even if you made sure to deactivate it. I'd prefer not to do business with a company with such dishonesty... Even if I did purposely want the auto renew option, I would've expected to get charged the same 24.99 plan, instead of being upsold (more like robbed) to a product that nearly cost 4 times as much after taxes without your consent or without your knowledge. I'd suggest to go with BITDEFENDER or ESET antivirus... avoid the trouble an hassle, and the surprise of them reaching into your bank account and selling you a more expensive product with you having the slightest bit of knowledge this occured.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

I love Avast, however, trying to update the billing information is impossible. The renewal notice states you will be sent a renewal notice containing the Order ID you need to make any changes to your account. My bank account was just charged on 9/27/2020 without any notification and my account is about to be overdrawn. I have tried for the past several years to change it. I also contacted online support, but no response. It should not be this difficult to have access to your own billing information.

Avast Antivirus Company Information