Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!

Visit Website
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.50/5

Avast Antivirus Reviews

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

I have been using Avast Premier, VPN. Passwords and clean-up for almost five years, and love the company. I have all of these products on both my desktop (Windows 10 Pro) and my Surface Pro 6 laptop. It took time to learn how to use the products correctly, but I am happy and will continue to use Avast. I have yet to be hacked or have any malicious malware on either of my PC's. Thank you, the product does precisely what I want it to do.

Thank YOU, Jennifer!

We're always thrilled to hear from our satisfied customers!

-Avast Team

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

Hi, I been reading your negative reviews. 99% of them are not paid memberships. They do not know how to delete cookies, or LAZY. Or do a virus scan or a boot scan. I love your bank mode. I been a Paid member for a least 15 or more years. I also have the VPN. It is slower but, I rather wait to be protected than be hacked. Out of the years I been a member, Just once I had a problem. VPN is Great. Now these days. Every website is trying to steal your cookie information, tracking, what you look at on the web. Love the VPN. Also I take common sense, Learn the basics, Delete cookies, Never open emails you DO not Recognize. Never do online banking on your cell phone. Dahaa.

Hi, S.:

Thanks for your feedback and for choosing Avast for your online security needs!

-Avast Team

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 21, 2019

I have installed Avast after malware got onto my computer, and I had to do a full restart of Windows 10. I already have Mcafee, which costs money just to protect you from a virus.>:( I shouldn't have to pay just to be protected. If the company believes in the customer and wants to actively be there for the customer, not just to get money, they would make this aspect free. I understand the other aspects, but you should be protected from malware on your computer. I was going to originally install Norton, because I've used that Anti-virus protection before, and, I like Norton, but I also know they make you pay, for literally everything, so I decided to try a new Anti-Virus. I found Avast upon my search. It looked good from the logo and the website.

I installed it and immediately was impressed with the user-interface. When I got re-directed somehow to another website, it protected me immediately, and even buzzed letting me know. Not only that, it told me what drivers to update, (although I only have free version so I cannot install this), but I can install the drivers manually myself, now that I know what drivers to install. I also swear my computer was speedier since this app install! This protects me from what I need to be protected, without money-costing me, because they care about me, not just my money.

I just love this product so much! Everything is perfect with this! I am going to stick with this Anti-virus forever! I love this Anti-virus so much, that I decided I am going to upgrade so It'll install drivers for me and do lots more! This program has so many features versus Mcafee, (which I also have but won't do anything because not paid!), and so much more than what other virus-protection services have. It also has good Anti-virus tests to prove it! Thank you so much Avast, you have changed my life for the better. Definitely will recommend!!

Hi, Sophia:

Thanks for your feedback and for choosing Avast for your security needs!

-Avast Team

Original review: April 15, 2019

I have Avast Premier, Cleanup and SecureLine. SecureLine is working normally. Premier and Cleanup have both been completely out of service for 2 days, starting April 3, 2019. Cleanup simply will not open. Trying to open Premier gets a black square on-screen that says, "UI failed to load. This is embarrassing. Your protection is running, but the UI is having a really bad day." Well, this is the 3rd day. What's happening with Avast? Can't find any news stories related to problems at Avast. Is it just me?

Hi, Gloria:

Thanks for reaching out! We'd recommend running a repair to try to resolve the issue. Instructions for this can be found in our website.

If this does not resolve the issue, please contact us privately with your name, Avast account information, and your preferred contact email address so we can work with you directly.

-Avast Team

Original review: March 11, 2020

I purchased the Avast "Premium" Subscription. For the first month or two I was pleased then I would have a window pop up and say that my computer was running slow - registry issues etc. etc. and that Avast could come to my rescue and clean this up for an addition $36+ dollars a year! I did not have these problems when I started with Avast and I did not have them with Optimum or even the program that came with Windows 10. I believe it's intentional for the additional fees. I am sorry I ever gave my Trust or hard earned money to Avast.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avast Antivirus?

Original review: March 4, 2020

This product has been riddled with issues that are of no concern to the company no matter how high up in management I am able to chase. They are currently ghosting me because I asked for help and a resolution! Recognized reported issues that have been around for years (saw a review complaining of same issue in 2015) are still happening in 2020. Current issues has us replacing around a dozen computers due to core file corruption by Avast. Avast continues to try to reinstall itself over and over causing the entire system to be unusable. When trying to uninstall it causes full failure. This has caused my team hundreds of hours in support. HIGHLY suggest going with another more reputable company who will assist you when you have issues and not just take your money and run.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

I had a free trial for Avast Antivirus a couple years back. At the end of the trial I had canceled. However, I was charged 60.00 last year for it. I ate the cost, but checked again to make sure I had canceled. And I did. Well now, I just got charged Again, and I have an email from them stating that I was indeed canceled. So why did they take the money? Now I have an overdraft, that I cannot afford. I had opened a claim against them through my bank, and my account is frozen because of them. I cannot reach anyone, I cannot seem to get a refund. And believe you me, this is not a product I will ever recommend to anyone. I feel as though the only way to get them to stop taking money from me, especially money I don't have, is to change all my card and bank info. I really don't know what to do at this point.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

Had problem with my Avast VPN that wasn't turning off. As a subscriber of Avast Premier, I could call them and receive free assistance which I did. The associate (in the Philippines!) tried to resolve the problem but couldn’t help. I asked him if Malwarebytes that I also had running would create a conflict and be the problem since I read something about this issue. He said that there were no known issue of conflict between Avast and Malwarebytes. He then asked me if I wanted to get help from the paid Avast Tech support and sold me a $200.00 subscription.

The technician worked remotely on my PC for an hour without solving the problem then open Malwarebytes and disabled everything. The VPN was closing correctly after that. He told me that AVAST firewall was conflicting with Malwarebytes. I find that Avast totally cheated on me. If the first associate had told me that Avast could be conflicting with Malwarebytes, I could have solved the problem by myself as there was a solution on a forum. I plan to discontinued using any Avast product at the end of my subscription!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I’m a happy Avast user but they set up automatic renewal without authorisation and then tried to charge me a huge amount way over the amount the product retails for! What sneaky and underhand tactics which shouldn’t be necessary. Punishing loyal customers! Way to go Avast!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

This is a terrible situation to be in. I have several Avast products, but when I need assistance for anything related to their product, I cannot understand a thing the assistant says. This is very disturbing to me, as I can never get answers to my questions. I just told them to stop auto pay. I hope they did. When my subscription expires, I am completely finished with this company. June.

Avast Antivirus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Czech-based Avast was the first company to offer home network security and is dedicated to providing free antivirus protection to homes, schools and businesses around the world. Founded in 1988 and headquartered in Prague, Czech Republic, Avast also has locations in the USA, Germany, China, South Korea and Tawain.

• Keeps your online activity private: Avast won’t sell your private information to anyone, including the NSA, CIA or government.

• Unbreakable password: One unbreakable password protects all of your system’s other passwords.

• International: Find a business partner around the world who speaks your language and can provide local service.

• Saves schools money: Schools can get protection from threats and viruses for free without limitations on seats or time.

• Avast SecureLine: Avast’s SecureLine protects your iOS devices so you can maintain a secure connection on the go.

• No tracking with SecureLine: Avast SecureLine doesn’t keep logs of your online activity so what you do online is completely secure and untraceable.

• Best for: Individuals, schools and businesses.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Avast Antivirus Company Information