Shop Now
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.31/5

Avast Antivirus Software provides protection for your devices from viruses, malware and other potential internet threats. Avast is known for offering features you don’t often find in a free program, including a Wi-Fi network scanner, a password manager and a gaming mode.

BOTTOM LINE

Avast Antivirus Software provides both free and premium protection against risks to your devices. The free version is pretty thorough, but the paid version adds many useful features.

PROS

• Password manager
  • Customizable protection
  • Free product is robust

CONS

• Previously sold user data
  • Can slow your device

Top Avast Antivirus Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avast Antivirus?

I discovered Avast by accident… I'm rather glad I did though, they deliver the protection in which they claim. … I'd highly recommend all that uses today's technology on a regular basis to give Avast a call, and start your protection today!

The Avast has been very good. I have not had any problems since using it. My computer has always been online. I would recommend avast. Avast has kept my computer clean. The price is very competitive.

Avast Antivirus Shop Now

Unsubscribe at any time.

What is Avast Software?

Avast is antivirus software designed to protect your devices. A subsidiary of AVG Antivirus, Avast is currently one of the most popular antivirus programs available. The company offers free and paid options for customers.

Along with antivirus and anti-malware software, Avast offers several other security services. Users can also purchase a virtual privacy network (VPN), anti-tracking software and BreachGuard.

What does Avast Software do?

The free program offers malware protection, a performance scanner and a scan scheduler. Its basic scan also finds network issues, out-of-date software, weak passwords, malicious browser add-ons and more. Features such as an email scanner, a secure browser and a URL screener are all available for free as separate tools.

As for the antivirus and malware scanning itself, independent lab tests give it a high rating. Avast detects most forms of malware before they reach your computer by quarantining and deleting the files. If it can't stop the malware before, it interrupts the downloading process.

The premium Avast software adds several features. These include:

• A file shredder
    • Webcam protection
    • Automatic software updater
    • A firewall
    • Spam protection
    • Secure folders for important files
    • Protection from phishing sites (sites that duplicate important login screens to steal information)

Avast Cleanup Premium helps improve your computer’s performance, and its driver updater takes care of old or broken drivers. Not everyone will find these premium features necessary, but they can be helpful. If you’re looking for more basic coverage, the Avast free software will do.

Avast antivirus price

Avast has a free option and paid options. While its free coverage is thorough, there are several benefits to the premium options. A one-year subscription for a single Mac or PC device is $69.99. You can upgrade your coverage to include as many as 10 devices for $89.99 a year. This includes PC, Mac, Android and iOS devices.

There is also an Ultimate option that includes a secure-line VPN, Premium Cleanup and Passwords Premium. Ultimate costs $99.99 annually for a single device or $119.99 a year for 10 devices. You can try the single-device subscription free for 30 days without a credit card, and there is a 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied.

Avast FAQ

How good is Avast Antivirus?
    Avast Antivirus is generally ranked as a good program. Its free software is surprisingly robust, though its premium product isn’t always worth the upgrade for some users.
    Is Avast safe for Macs?
    Avast is safe for your Mac computer or laptop. It offers full protection for free.
    Where is Avast located?
    The Avast headquarters is in Prague, Czech Republic. There are Avast offices around the world, including two in the United States.
    What is Avast behavior shield?
    Avast behavior shield adds a layer of active protection to your antivirus program. It monitors for suspicious behavior in code.
    Is Avast malware?
    Avast is not malware and is safe to use on your computer or mobile devices. Its purpose is to detect and stop malware before it harms your system.

Is Avast safe?

Avast is a highly popular antivirus program and has been for a long time. It provides good malware protection and several features that you don’t often find in free software. Many people appreciate the password manager or Wi-Fi network scanner. If you’re looking for extra protection from internet threats, it’s worth checking out Avast Antivirus.

Avast Antivirus Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avast Antivirus?

Original review: March 28, 2020

I discovered Avast by accident actually while looking up something else on the Play Store. I'm rather glad I did though, they deliver the protection in which they claim. I started out using the free version, within a week or less I decided to purchase the premium. Using Avast helped me realize how vulnerable my data, among other components of my device really were. Their deep and successful scans for any virus, or anything else that may be potentially malicious convinced me the importance of their service. Billing or any other technical support are prompt and knowledgeable in handling your questions or concerns. I'd highly recommend all that uses today's technology on a regular basis to give Avast a call, and start your protection today!

Original review: March 23, 2020

I have used the free version of Avast and there are a few ads but not too many. I have used avast for years without any issues. I am comfortable with my current subscription. I am thinking about buying a paid service from them because they have always been there and offer great protection and services. I even recommend it to my family and friends.

Get buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: March 22, 2020

This program is simple, easy and can be done by even the most computer challenged user. I have used this program off and on over many years and always come back to it. I have had computer techs from various companies that I've worked for use it and install it on many computers for the companies I've worked for. AVAST has saved me many a times by cutting down time almost in half. And it helped me to be able to the work myself instead of calling and waiting on an IT to come do what AVAST can do.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

I have been using Avast Premier, VPN. Passwords and clean-up for almost five years, and love the company. I have all of these products on both my desktop (Windows 10 Pro) and my Surface Pro 6 laptop. It took time to learn how to use the products correctly, but I am happy and will continue to use Avast. I have yet to be hacked or have any malicious malware on either of my PC's. Thank you, the product does precisely what I want it to do.

Avast Antivirus response

Thank YOU, Jennifer!

We're always thrilled to hear from our satisfied customers!

-Avast Team

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

Hi, I been reading your negative reviews. 99% of them are not paid memberships. They do not know how to delete cookies, or LAZY. Or do a virus scan or a boot scan. I love your bank mode. I been a Paid member for a least 15 or more years. I also have the VPN. It is slower but, I rather wait to be protected than be hacked. Out of the years I been a member, Just once I had a problem. VPN is Great. Now these days. Every website is trying to steal your cookie information, tracking, what you look at on the web. Love the VPN. Also I take common sense, Learn the basics, Delete cookies, Never open emails you DO not Recognize. Never do online banking on your cell phone. Dahaa.

Avast Antivirus response

Hi, S.:

Thanks for your feedback and for choosing Avast for your online security needs!

-Avast Team

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

I was scammed by this company. Avast was saying I had two accounts when they never notified me about the second one nor did I ever agree to it. I found out when I canceled my subscription to the one account I knew about but even though I took out my card information Avast was still able to charge me from the second account that I never agreed to.

When I tried to get my refund they tried to say it was my fault for not reporting it when Avast wouldn't answer the phone or get return my messages. For what reason would I have two accounts that doesn't make any sense but they just want to keep my money without understanding any reason. They never even sent me an email confirmation about this so-called second account. I was forced to change my card number so that they can't steal my money and blame it on a third account I never agreed to.

I will definitely not be recommending Avast to anyone, my experience with them was terrible. Be careful from this company. It may be good back years ago but now they don’t care about their customer. They only care is where to get money or scam you, and really careful what card you put in their account. Even you delete it from your account, they keep the record of it in their system without your permission. I have mails and everything to prove what I’m saying. If someone wants to say this is a lie and I have proof when they promised me to give me my money back and changed their mind in the next couple days.

Original review: July 25, 2020

I purchased the Avast VPN 1 year and 3 months ago. It worked just fine until a few days ago. The program completely stopped working. I started a service ticket through their support. Then the nightmare began. Their support is slow to the point of being almost non-responsive. 2 days later they sent an email telling me to reinstall the program. I followed their instructions, but nothing worked. Another 2 days passed, more instructions, but still the program will not work on my computer. Support has not responded to my last email reply 1 day ago. I asked for a refund, even a partial one would do, but I'm past the 30 days after renewal so I'm out of luck. I'm out $150 total with nothing to show for it. They did offer to possibly move me to one of their other products, but based on their support, it would be nuts to try something else. Based on my experience and their poor customer support and service, I cannot recommend any Avast product. Buyer Beware.

Original review: June 25, 2020

Avast will automatically update your software causing Microsoft Office programs to not work. This update will happen conveniently AFTER their 30-day refund policy. So after you spend several hours fixing your computer you will also be out any monies you spent on their crap software.

Original review: June 4, 2020

I used this antivirus for a year and did not want to renew. The software expired on my system and did not renew. I installed a competion product and paid for it. Little did I know that Avast renewed nevertheless based on previous payment method. Very unfortunate! Fighting hard to get a refund but they will not!

Original review: May 31, 2020

I called on Avast Antivirus phone number +1-855--948-3900. Great services provided, they are always available 24*7. I must say, they are doing a very good job and very helpful person. They clear all the issue of my laptop.

Avast Antivirus Company Information