3.8/5 (228 ratings)

About Avast Antivirus

Avast Antivirus Software provides protection for your devices from viruses, malware and other potential internet threats. Avast is known for offering features you don’t often find in a free program, including a Wi-Fi network scanner, a password manager and a gaming mode.

Pros

• Password manager
  • Customizable protection
  • Free product is robust

Cons

• Previously sold user data
  • Can slow your device

Bottom Line

Avast Antivirus Software provides both free and premium protection against risks to your devices. The free version is pretty thorough, but the paid version adds many useful features.

Top Avast Antivirus Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I discovered Avast by accident… I'm rather glad I did though, they deliver the protection in which they claim. … I'd highly recommend all that uses today's technology on a regula...

Verified

The Avast has been very good. I have not had any problems since using it. My computer has always been online. I would recommend avast. Avast has kept my computer clean. The price ...

What is Avast Software?

Avast is antivirus software designed to protect your devices. A subsidiary of AVG Antivirus, Avast is currently one of the most popular antivirus programs available. The company offers free and paid options for customers.

Along with antivirus and anti-malware software, Avast offers several other security services. Users can also purchase a virtual privacy network (VPN), anti-tracking software and BreachGuard.

What does Avast Software do?

The free program offers malware protection, a performance scanner and a scan scheduler. Its basic scan also finds network issues, out-of-date software, weak passwords, malicious browser add-ons and more. Features such as an email scanner, a secure browser and a URL screener are all available for free as separate tools.

As for the antivirus and malware scanning itself, independent lab tests give it a high rating. Avast detects most forms of malware before they reach your computer by quarantining and deleting the files. If it can't stop the malware before, it interrupts the downloading process.

The premium Avast software adds several features. These include:

• A file shredder
  • Webcam protection
  • Automatic software updater
  • A firewall
  • Spam protection
  • Secure folders for important files
  • Protection from phishing sites (sites that duplicate important login screens to steal information)

Avast Cleanup Premium helps improve your computer’s performance, and its driver updater takes care of old or broken drivers. Not everyone will find these premium features necessary, but they can be helpful. If you’re looking for more basic coverage, the Avast free software will do.

Avast antivirus price

Avast has a free option and paid options. While its free coverage is thorough, there are several benefits to the premium options. A one-year subscription for a single Mac or PC device is $69.99. You can upgrade your coverage to include as many as 10 devices for $89.99 a year. This includes PC, Mac, Android and iOS devices.

There is also an Ultimate option that includes a secure-line VPN, Premium Cleanup and Passwords Premium. Ultimate costs $99.99 annually for a single device or $119.99 a year for 10 devices. You can try the single-device subscription free for 30 days without a credit card, and there is a 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied.

Avast FAQ

How good is Avast Antivirus?
Avast Antivirus is generally ranked as a good program. Its free software is surprisingly robust, though its premium product isn’t always worth the upgrade for some users.
Is Avast safe for Macs?
Avast is safe for your Mac computer or laptop. It offers full protection for free.
Where is Avast located?
The Avast headquarters is in Prague, Czech Republic. There are Avast offices around the world, including two in the United States.
What is Avast behavior shield?
Avast behavior shield adds a layer of active protection to your antivirus program. It monitors for suspicious behavior in code.
Is Avast malware?
Avast is not malware and is safe to use on your computer or mobile devices. Its purpose is to detect and stop malware before it harms your system.

Is Avast safe?

Avast is a highly popular antivirus program and has been for a long time. It provides good malware protection and several features that you don’t often find in free software. Many people appreciate the password manager or Wi-Fi network scanner. If you’re looking for extra protection from internet threats, it’s worth checking out Avast Antivirus.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avast Antivirus?

Original review: April 15, 2022

Well, I have bought Avast Premium Security from the partner avast-tn.com. I really appreciate all the features starting from the efficient firewall, the wifi inspector, the remote access shield, but what is impressed me is that I can prevent access to apps and block my webcam when I need. And also the password protection is also feature I really like. Good job!

Original review: March 6, 2022

While I generally enjoy Avast, they peridically use scare tactics to get me to upgrade for more money; they will send popup that they "saved" me from virus/malware, even though I never entered that site.

Get buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

Hello, I have just bought Avast Ultimate from their partner avast-tn.com. Avast Ultimate contains SecureLine VPN. I was impressed by the MIMIC protocol that makes my connections secure and never blocked.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

I tried a free 2 month trial which I canceled through their chat line a few days before the trial ended as I did not use the product and decided I didn't want it. They billed me anyway after I thought it was canceled and when I checked out again they said I had not turned auto-renewal off, which I thought would have been done when they told me I was unsubscribed and canceled. I could not even find my account to turn that off and had to start the cancellation process all over again. For an antivirus company they seem very shady as far as their billing, unsubscribing and cancellation process goes.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

Tried Avast Antivirus product through promotion. At end of promotion Avast attempted to charge my bank account 3 weeks ago and I stopped the charge. Avast contacted me to advise charge was refused. I confirmed decline and advised did not want their product. Today saw Avast charge for $95.61 on my credit card. This was unauthorized charge and the credit card was relatively new and not used with Avast. How did they get my credit card number? Charging me without notification to my credit card that they should not have access to, after I declined their last attempt to charge my bank card. This was a sleazy attempt to push their product and has all the makings of a scam. Avoid Avast. It took over an hour in the phone to get them to agree to refund. I will wager that my refund does not come without another phone call and/or a small claims lawsuit. So disgusting!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

DO NOT buy from Avast. Their website says try free for 60 days and also, 30 money back guarantee. I tried it for 3 days and it did not work as expected. Found out they charged my charge card for 1 year subscription. Went online and hit the cancel tab. Went straight to India troubleshooting. The guy wanted to reconfigure my computer to see if it will work correctly. I would not allow him to do that. He gave me the sales dept number that I needed to call to cancel and get a refund. Once again back to India to a salesperson I could hardly understand. She wanted to send me back to tech support. I said I wanted a refund. She said, "We do not do refunds." I reminded her that the website said 60 day free trial and 30 day money back guarantee. She left and came back to the phone 5 minutes later.

She tried to read off a list of all kinds of software that she wanted to give me instead of a refund. I again told her no. She then said she could not find my confirmation number or email that was used to purchase. I got very upset and loud. She then said, "Ok I found it and I will issue a refund." And, that she will email a cancellation refund confirmation. 8 hours later I received an email they cannot find my order and wanted more information. I contacted PayPal and put the order into dispute and will be contacting my bank tomorrow that paypal is linked to. This company is a scam. Stay far away from them.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

PayPal informed me that AVAST had charged my account for $74.36. I do not use AVAST, I have not used AVAST for several years. This was charged to me without my knowledge or consent. I have been emailing AVAST for a couple of weeks; they either say they will investigate this and get back to me within 48 hours or they just ignore me. I think they are spinning out the time so that at some future point I will have "timed out". I am trying to contact online attorneys. BEWARE of these people.

Original review: July 26, 2021

Avast keeps putting large blue squares in front of what I am doing on my screen, even after I canceled my subscription. Their constant ads to upgrade was one of the reasons I canceled. I do not know how to stop these ads since there is no way to contact them about it.

Original review: July 10, 2021

When I bought Avast VPN and security software they never make it clear they use automatic renewal and just charged me over $100 to try to renew software I did not need. I do not know why America has no law against the default for purchases to include automatic renewal. This is a sneaky way to to behave. They send you an email which was buried in my spam. All other subscription products I use tell you when the subscription is going to expire IN THE APPLICATION. Avast just steals your money after an email.

Original review: June 26, 2021

I use AVG free and Avast free. These two anti virus programs work great, just as good as anything you can buy. I have never had any issue on any of my computers nor has anyone I have recommended these to. Also, the big anti-virus programs are just too full of bloat ware and take up way to much space on the hard drive.

Avast Antivirus Company Information