Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.17/5

Avast is a free antivirus software program. It also includes a password manager, Wi-Fi scanner, gaming mode and hardened browser. This software is compatible with recent versions of macOS, iOS, Android and Windows. Avast’s optional Premium and Omni editions have yearly fees but provide additional protection against malware.

Avast Antivirus Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avast Antivirus?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avast Antivirus?

Original review: March 28, 2020

I discovered Avast by accident actually while looking up something else on the Play Store. I'm rather glad I did though, they deliver the protection in which they claim. I started out using the free version, within a week or less I decided to purchase the premium. Using Avast helped me realize how vulnerable my data, among other components of my device really were. Their deep and successful scans for any virus, or anything else that may be potentially malicious convinced me the importance of their service. Billing or any other technical support are prompt and knowledgeable in handling your questions or concerns. I'd highly recommend all that uses today's technology on a regular basis to give Avast a call, and start your protection today!

Original review: March 23, 2020

I have used the free version of Avast and there are a few ads but not too many. I have used avast for years without any issues. I am comfortable with my current subscription. I am thinking about buying a paid service from them because they have always been there and offer great protection and services. I even recommend it to my family and friends.

Get buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 22, 2020

This program is simple, easy and can be done by even the most computer challenged user. I have used this program off and on over many years and always come back to it. I have had computer techs from various companies that I've worked for use it and install it on many computers for the companies I've worked for. AVAST has saved me many a times by cutting down time almost in half. And it helped me to be able to the work myself instead of calling and waiting on an IT to come do what AVAST can do.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

I have been using Avast Premier, VPN. Passwords and clean-up for almost five years, and love the company. I have all of these products on both my desktop (Windows 10 Pro) and my Surface Pro 6 laptop. It took time to learn how to use the products correctly, but I am happy and will continue to use Avast. I have yet to be hacked or have any malicious malware on either of my PC's. Thank you, the product does precisely what I want it to do.

Avast Antivirus response

Thank YOU, Jennifer!

We're always thrilled to hear from our satisfied customers!

-Avast Team

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

Hi, I been reading your negative reviews. 99% of them are not paid memberships. They do not know how to delete cookies, or LAZY. Or do a virus scan or a boot scan. I love your bank mode. I been a Paid member for a least 15 or more years. I also have the VPN. It is slower but, I rather wait to be protected than be hacked. Out of the years I been a member, Just once I had a problem. VPN is Great. Now these days. Every website is trying to steal your cookie information, tracking, what you look at on the web. Love the VPN. Also I take common sense, Learn the basics, Delete cookies, Never open emails you DO not Recognize. Never do online banking on your cell phone. Dahaa.

Avast Antivirus response

Hi, S.:

Thanks for your feedback and for choosing Avast for your online security needs!

-Avast Team

Original review: June 25, 2020

Avast will automatically update your software causing Microsoft Office programs to not work. This update will happen conveniently AFTER their 30-day refund policy. So after you spend several hours fixing your computer you will also be out any monies you spent on their crap software.

Original review: June 4, 2020

I used this antivirus for a year and did not want to renew. The software expired on my system and did not renew. I installed a competion product and paid for it. Little did I know that Avast renewed nevertheless based on previous payment method. Very unfortunate! Fighting hard to get a refund but they will not!

Original review: May 31, 2020

I called on Avast Antivirus phone number +1-855--948-3900. Great services provided, they are always available 24*7. I must say, they are doing a very good job and very helpful person. They clear all the issue of my laptop.

Original review: May 28, 2020

I've been an Avast customer for about 5 years. A few employees from my Corp. Tech department recommended it. But after about a year the same department discouraged it because Avast clogs the cloud operations and jams the local PC in it's efforts to collaborate with or against other programs. I've "NEVER" had an instant or even 30 second "start up" experience with the main / premium software. You would think that their "PRIME" would be fast. Just the opposite. And do I have a new computer? Within a year old.

My HOPE is that it is protecting me. Who would know? Who has the time to wait for it to start up? I paid for a number of components and am locked in for now - but looking for something better. Bottom line - SLOW, SLOW, SLOWER, AND SLOWEST antivirus software I've ever worked with. Last - communicating with the support without paying more is just another opportunity for me to "work for them" instead of them working for what I've paid for in business services. Not happening. Sad. Frustrated. Disappointed. Searching for something better.

Original review: May 6, 2020

We have had free version of Avast for years. Never an issue. 5-6 months ago we had our first horrible experience with avast. I think at one point in 2018 we had paid for a year's sub, then due to kids and life stuff we had told them we were not going to renew, to take us off their list. They assured us they would not automatically renew our subscription.

Sometime late last year they did it anyway, not just draining our account dry with regular avast renewal, but they added a more expensive feature too. They charged for Avast Antivirus Premium as well as their Avast Antivirus Cleanup. Furiously, myself and my bank person sat down on speaker phone to get a refund as they had not only taken money from us for a renewal to something we EXPLICITLY told them not to renew, but added another service of their own accord, which I did not think possible.

The Avast representative we spoke to was incredibly rude, uncooperative and it took over an HOUR on the phone to force them to refund what they stole from us and DEMANDED they never do this again. Stupidly, we both assumed they would honor that. Saturday. May 2, 2020, PRECISELY JUST after 4pm WHEN OUR BANKS WOULD BE CLOSED, rendering us 100% unable to call our bank and fix the issue. They AGAIN took money from us, draining our account completely as they renewed a year's worth of Avast Antivirus Premium AND Avast Antivirus Cleanup.

With this COVID virus keeping us isolated, work has died off to a damned TRICKLE, and my husband and I are left trying to keep our heads above water with two children ONE OF WHICH HAS A MEDICAL CONDITION, we cannot AFFORD to have this blatant abuse of power. I was absolutely LIVID. We needed that money so we could buy food for our CHILDREN who we now also have to homeschool on top of all the other financial difficulties.

Immediately I called, furious, and for once in my life I was barely able to keep my cool. I DEMANDED they refund what they stole from us. Told them we have two children to take care of and the money they took from us without our consent for a SECOND TIME IN LESS THAN 6 MONTHS, was supposed to be for medical and food supplies. They stated the processing of refund would take 5-7 days, time WE DID NOT HAVE. I demanded they remove all information on our account, and card and don't ever try and do this again or they would have a legal battle on their hands.

Now we are reading OTHER recent reviews, seems they are doing this to EVERYONE IN A TIME OF CRISIS when NONE of us can afford this crap! We are faced with the uncertainty now if Canceling our card, AND closing our bank account to reopen a new one would even make a difference. I am reading of those who have canceled their cards, and yet still, AVAST is finding ways to take from them by renewing subscriptions they did not ask to have renewed, or blatantly renewing when they were told to CEASE AND DESIST.

Jobs have been lost by the multitude of thousands, numbers I can't even begin to try and fathom. Parents are now home, stuck, at home, many unable to work, or having hours SEVERELY cut because they now have children to homeschool. Funds are at an all time low. NONE OF US can afford to have stupid companies going around taking from us when we have nothing we can spare, nothing to give.

This is THEFT, FRAUD. I am sitting here freaking out because my AVAST is telling me "Hey, renew your subscription, it runs out in 11 days! Hey, renew Both Avast Premium and Avast Cleanup it runs out in 11 days." And here I am wondering 'oh my god, what are we going to do if they renew both a THIRD time even if we change our card? Even if we go to extremes and close our account and reopen a new one?'

We have CHILDREN, we need to be able to take care of them, and ourselves, without worrying about some company dishonorably thieving from peoples accounts!!! The very SECOND we find another antivirus program that is free to use (there are plenty out there) and we get everything closed down AVAST is GONE, permanently, never to be used again. And you can bet, that I will be one of those people, that sit there calling them multiple times a freaking month now, to be sure they keep us the ** off their stupid renewal list. Because if this happens again, they are not just going to refund our money they are going to cover all the expenses and funds of what they DENIED us by taking from us when they KNEW and were TOLD MULTIPLE TIMES, not to take.

Avast Antivirus author review by Shelley Elmblad

Czech-based Avast was the first company to offer home network security and is dedicated to providing free antivirus protection to homes, schools and businesses around the world. Founded in 1988 and headquartered in Prague, Czech Republic, Avast also has locations in the USA, Germany, China, South Korea and Tawain.

• Keeps your online activity private: Avast won’t sell your private information to anyone, including the NSA, CIA or government.

• Unbreakable password: One unbreakable password protects all of your system’s other passwords.

• International: Find a business partner around the world who speaks your language and can provide local service.

• Saves schools money: Schools can get protection from threats and viruses for free without limitations on seats or time.

• Avast SecureLine: Avast’s SecureLine protects your iOS devices so you can maintain a secure connection on the go.

• No tracking with SecureLine: Avast SecureLine doesn’t keep logs of your online activity so what you do online is completely secure and untraceable.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Avast Antivirus Company Information