2.75/5

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Avast Antivirus

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Avast Antivirus Reviews

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

Hi, I been reading your negative reviews. 99% of them are not paid memberships. They do not know how to delete cookies, or LAZY. Or do a virus scan or a boot scan. I love your bank mode. I been a Paid member for a least 15 or more years. I also have the VPN. It is slower but, I rather wait to be protected than be hacked. Out of the years I been a member, Just once I had a problem. VPN is Great. Now these days. Every website is trying to steal your cookie information, tracking, what you look at on the web. Love the VPN. Also I take common sense, Learn the basics, Delete cookies, Never open emails you DO not Recognize. Never do online banking on your cell phone. Dahaa.

Hi, S.:

Thanks for your feedback and for choosing Avast for your online security needs!

-Avast Team

Original review: April 21, 2019

I have installed Avast after malware got onto my computer, and I had to do a full restart of Windows 10. I already have Mcafee, which costs money just to protect you from a virus.>:( I shouldn't have to pay just to be protected. If the company believes in the customer and wants to actively be there for the customer, not just to get money, they would make this aspect free. I understand the other aspects, but you should be protected from malware on your computer. I was going to originally install Norton, because I've used that Anti-virus protection before, and, I like Norton, but I also know they make you pay, for literally everything, so I decided to try a new Anti-Virus. I found Avast upon my search. It looked good from the logo and the website.

I installed it and immediately was impressed with the user-interface. When I got re-directed somehow to another website, it protected me immediately, and even buzzed letting me know. Not only that, it told me what drivers to update, (although I only have free version so I cannot install this), but I can install the drivers manually myself, now that I know what drivers to install. I also swear my computer was speedier since this app install! This protects me from what I need to be protected, without money-costing me, because they care about me, not just my money.

I just love this product so much! Everything is perfect with this! I am going to stick with this Anti-virus forever! I love this Anti-virus so much, that I decided I am going to upgrade so It'll install drivers for me and do lots more! This program has so many features versus Mcafee, (which I also have but won't do anything because not paid!), and so much more than what other virus-protection services have. It also has good Anti-virus tests to prove it! Thank you so much Avast, you have changed my life for the better. Definitely will recommend!!

Hi, Sophia:

Thanks for your feedback and for choosing Avast for your security needs!

-Avast Team

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: April 15, 2019

I have Avast Premier, Cleanup and SecureLine. SecureLine is working normally. Premier and Cleanup have both been completely out of service for 2 days, starting April 3, 2019. Cleanup simply will not open. Trying to open Premier gets a black square on-screen that says, "UI failed to load. This is embarrassing. Your protection is running, but the UI is having a really bad day." Well, this is the 3rd day. What's happening with Avast? Can't find any news stories related to problems at Avast. Is it just me?

Hi, Gloria:

Thanks for reaching out! We'd recommend running a repair to try to resolve the issue. Instructions for this can be found in our website.

If this does not resolve the issue, please contact us privately with your name, Avast account information, and your preferred contact email address so we can work with you directly.

-Avast Team

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I'm using free Avast Protection. Recently, Avast has interfered with my computer by replacing Adobe Reader with its Avast Browser for reading PDF files. It has made it impossible to use any other programmes for reading PDF files, preventing me for installing Adobe Reader again and actually making Adobe disappear as an option for reading PDF files. I wonder if it is the company's policy?

Hi, Pawel:

Thank you for reaching out! Our software would not have replaced your existing product with our browser without your permission. There would have been a option when installing our browser to include PDF documents. Please check your default programs list in Windows for the option to switch it back. If this does not resolve the issue, please contact us privately for further assistance and we'll be happy to help!

-Avast Team

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I have been a user of Avast since 2008. They started as a great company and their software was excellent. In the last two years they are requiring more and more money for more and more so-called fixes that were to be fixed under Premium....now they call it ultimate. I now have four programs that are suppose to help. I asked for service and was told I needed even more....worst of it is they become so in tangled in your system, it is impossible to ride your computer of them. They always are very apologetic and tell me they will fix the problem by sending me a link that will not work. I have tied to contact them via e-mail and now my e-mail is screwed up. I swear, these people are evil.

Hi, Kurt:

Thanks for your feedback. We'd like to help resolve any issues and questions you may have. Please contact us privately with more details and we'll be happy to assist!

-Avast Team

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avast Antivirus?

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

Be very careful if you sign up for a free trial to any of their add-ons. I had a 60 day trial of both Avast premium and Avast cleanup. Near the end of the trials I was emailed to notify me of this about both products (unfortunately one ended up in my spam folder, I'm sure they would say this is not under their control). I cancelled premium but could not see my subscription for cleanup on my account so assumed it would cancel with premium.

I have now been billed for cleanup and have been sent an email at 5:15 on a Sunday night telling me this. On their website there is no email address or way of contacting them/complaining other than by phone. There are no details of their hours of service and when I called I only got hold music, not even an indication that I had reached the correct company. I cannot sit on the phone for an unknown period of time trying to resolve this so I guess they have got my money. Adding insult to injury I cannot even open their product on my computer so I have paid for absolutely nothing. That is a scam in my opinion and the fact that I cannot complain or contact them by any other means is ridiculous.

Hi, Brittany:

Clicking Support on the top of our homepage at avast.com, then on Refund Request will bring you to a page with instructions on how to request a refund. If you'd prefer, however, you can privately send us your full name, subscribed email address, date and amount of the charge, and for which product you're requesting the refund and we'll be happy to help.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

Trying to get through the Omni device instruction process is like training a shoe salesman to do brain surgery. 8 steps, 8 pages, click (no response), double click (no response). In the box was a 3 by 3 inch "Get started" quick and easy 4 step process. Yeah right. I will be returning this product for a credit.

Hi, James:

Thanks for reaching out! We'd like to help! Please contact us privately with more details about the setup issues you experienced and we'll be happy to assist!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

Tried Avast Antivirus free, didn't seem as good as reviews so I decided to uninstall. This is when the trouble starts, no uninstall programs will rid you of this. It's like treacle inside your computer. Finally went on Avast site to download Avast own uninstaller. After running that I found that the uninstaller was running in startup which meant my computer was asking me on startup whether I wanted Avast cleanup or windows. Tried RegEdit and removed all references to Avast, still getting startup asking Windows or Avast. The most insidious program I have ever come across. DO NOT INSTALL unless you like problems.

Hi, Michael:

Thanks for reaching out! We'd like to find out how you feel we can better meet your specific security needs as well as get more information about the issues you experienced with uninstalling our software. Please contact us privately with more details and we'll be happy to help get the information to our escalation team for review!

-Avast Team

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I guess it's true, nothing's for free. Avast has become just another corporate gangster driven by greed and the good ole valueless greenback. Their free anti Virus is crap. It used to be good, years ago. Those were the old days. Every time I turn around they're sending warnings that I need this and that, and oh here's a free trial. It's basically scam marketing. I won't go into the horror that I just experienced trying to upload a supposed "free trial" to clean my computer - Avast Supreme, or some such stupidity, other than to mention an hour's worth of lost time talking with two people representing AVAST at a call center in the Philippines with 4 different attempts to get it running on my new (2 months old) Windows 10 Laptop. How difficult should that be? Spend a few bucks and get Norton or McAfree. If you waste your time with this horrible company you may just end up jumping through further hoops to leave a bad review to warn future victims.

Hi, Randy:

Thanks for reaching out! We'd like to get more information about the challenges you experienced with upgrading for the free trial as well as your overall Support experience. Please contact us privately with additional details.

-Avast Team

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Avast antivirus was my biggest mistake in my antivirus choice. It slows computer badly, insufficient protection especially with malware (Kaspersky free version works much better). Along with that, you will have every-day pop-ups notification, to buy their other products. Very annoying. On the end, they tried me to charge the next subscription even if I already send Email that I want to cancel my subscription and they confirmed that my autorenewal is off.

Auto-renewal technics at Avast. Few companies tried to cheat me with autorenewal (Comcast, Grengeeks web hosting...). Comcast, for example don't send any email, you need to call them to cancel subscription. And after I called them they just ignored my call and continue to charge me without sending to Email. It was 4 years ago in golden time of autorenewal cheating. Avast uses technic - make it complicated until guy give up.

1. They don't have auto-renewal settings in my avast account, which is against law. 2. Now I need to go to support and ask for cancellation. They don't have ticket system, Finding support and asking a question is tricky and complicated. All directions lead to the knowledge base. Finally, I found it and wrote Email and they confirmed that is my subscription canceled (April 8, 2018) "Hello, Thank you for contacting AVAST Software. We've checked your email address and found that the auto-renewal feature for your subscription was already canceled. Your order will expire at the end of its validation period."

3. 20 days before my expiring my subscription they send me invoice that I will be charged for next year. Of course they will probably explain as a mistake (I am sure that everybody who cancelled their subscription will have same procedure). That is the golden point of all autorenewalS: If you miss that email you will be charged for something you NEVER GAVE PERMISSION. 4. They also send me a link to my account where I can manage subscription.  But it is again trisk, there is no autorenewall settings, only my billing history and updating subscription That account have more information than my.avast account. Practically there are 2 accounts: hidden with more information and my.avast account. 5. They probably will give up from my money but who knows how many people did not saw that email or just give up because of a complicated procedure. Law says that autorenewal must be set up in a visible place.

CONCLUSION: So, these people work against the law with intention to charge people subscriptions without their permission. Of course they explained that is for your convenience. I believe they make a good portion of income with auto renewal technics. In this way thousands of people are charged without their permission almost with doubled price. I am believer that all companies who do that tricks will die soon.

Hi, Mire:

Thanks for reaching out! Our notifications can be adjusted by clicking Menu>Settings>General>Personal Privacy and unchecking the corresponding boxes. Our software was designed to be light on your system's resources, so we're concerned to hear you feel it slowed yours. We're also concerned to hear you feel it was insufficient. Please contact us privately with more details. If you'd still like to cancel, we'd be happy to assist. Please include your full name and email.

Avast Antivirus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Czech-based Avast was the first company to offer home network security and is dedicated to providing free antivirus protection to homes, schools and businesses around the world. Founded in 1988 and headquartered in Prague, Czech Republic, Avast also has locations in the USA, Germany, China, South Korea and Tawain.

• Keeps your online activity private: Avast won’t sell your private information to anyone, including the NSA, CIA or government.

• Unbreakable password: One unbreakable password protects all of your system’s other passwords.

• International: Find a business partner around the world who speaks your language and can provide local service.

• Saves schools money: Schools can get protection from threats and viruses for free without limitations on seats or time.

• Avast SecureLine: Avast’s SecureLine protects your iOS devices so you can maintain a secure connection on the go.

• No tracking with SecureLine: Avast SecureLine doesn’t keep logs of your online activity so what you do online is completely secure and untraceable.

• Best for: Individuals, schools and businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
      Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Avast Antivirus Company Information