1.38/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Avast Antivirus

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 11, 2017

57 Avast Antivirus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I have been with Avast for years. They have recently changed their numbers so that all you get if you want basic customer service of an admin or billing type nature is a recording saying you must go online (Avast.com/support), type in "contact an agent" (yea, right... What a bad joke...) which then directs you to another link where you must download the Avast Support Tool, then fish through all of that to finally send a message. Then you might get an email about how busy they are and how important you are and how someone will get back soon (Email? Phone? Via the online link? They don't say... i.e.- worthless!! Are you just supposed to sit by something all day wondering how they're going to contact you?).

After a day and a half of no response, I called tech support (who is really just there for the paid tech support) and they did call back but couldn't help with the issue. I had a paid subscription service and Avast doesn't have the decency as a company to allow you to talk with a human anymore because, let's face it, that costs money and they're against that. Even for billing!! You'd think they'd want their money, but alas, that too is only available via online. TERRIBLE!!! I am chucking this company as far as I can throw them. Good riddance.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I have used Avast for years, recommended it to my friends/relations for their computers. After recently updating I'm finding that my PC performance is less than half? I cannot find how to improve performance. Avast - an Avast client is typically running at 40+% CPU Usage perpetually - worse if I'm running Chrome browser. Other than changing Antivirus software - how can I get better performance?

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Upon the recommendation of friends and a reasonably strong Consumer Reports Score, I got rid of AGI when I realized I had been the victim of one of the companies claiming to clear your computer of trojans and phishing software and downloaded Avast Internet Security. Avast started out with a "free" download that eventually cost me $300.00 once they convinced me that they had to clean my "root directory." The cleaning process took them four hours and when they finished this preliminary sweep and cleaning, several applications that were working before they took control of my computer were no longer operating. I had to argue with them and demand to speak to a supervisor before they restored my computer to where I could once again save documents in Microsoft Word and access my email account on Yahoo, which were not malfunctioning before they supposedly removed the malware.

I still can't use Firefox because of something they did that I can't explain. They claim nothing they did could have been the cause of the Firefox problem, yet I can't access Firefox without an Avast password. The computer thinks I have paid for an Avast password keeping system, which I do not have and have no record of paying for, yet without this password, I can't use Firefox.

Today I lost my internet connection and an Avast popup advised me to call Avast Total Care about the problem. It took 45 minutes for them to verify that I had an account, though I gave them my account number. Then they said there was nothing they could do and denied the Avast system prompted me to contact them. Avast has been obnoxious and condescending throughout our brief relationship. I only signed up for the service on Aug. 31, 2017, and I have reported them to the Better Business Bureau.

I admit I don't know much about how computers work or why they are so easily hijacked. I am accustomed to reading books and understanding concepts. I'm lousy at dodging technology hype. Is there a book that sets out the baseline of information a person needs to know to use technology these days? By baseline, I mean the basics upon which to continue to update and build knowledge as things change. I thought Avast was the company to trust, but I was wrong. Every week they offer something else I "need," and at this point I no longer believe them about anything.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Note: False Positive on HTml:Script-inf notices. I've gotten False Positives on at least 3 web authoring utilities I use and was trying to report this to help Avast out and let them know about the utilities and Authors but Avast is not set up to work with their clients! Very disappointed in the circular website to phone back to website setup Avast has to discourage anyone reporting problems. I was going to report That this is a false positive (typical Avast false detection). The file is part of ckEditors File Upload Facility and there is nothing in that file that is a virus.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I have been using Avast for years. About a year ago it began arbitrarily deleting files. It deleted files that control my chicken brooder. It deleted files that control my aquarium environment. I restored these files and set exceptions for them in Avast settings. BUT - with the next update, everything set to default and my files again got deleted. And this always happens overnight when it can do the most damage. Avast was a great product for many years. Today it's an utter nuisance. Don't go anywhere near it if you value your files.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avast Antivirus?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I have used Avast for several years now, I have not ever seen them on any top 5 detection, prevention, or removal list for malware but they are always ranked pretty highly, especially comparing their free version to other free anti-malware software. I absolutely love their boot-time scan feature too. I bought their Internet Security a few months back and had never had any issues with the software or its protection. My computer ran into some problems and I ended up reinstalling from a thumb drive Windows 10 that I got directly from Microsoft's website and from a safe computer.

First thing I did after installation was download and install Avast Internet Security. It would not accept my license. I logging into my avast account from their website and made sure I only had one computer on it, deleting the old one, and still no luck. I restarted, repaired, and reinstalled Avast and it would not recognize the license Avast gave to me from their support page to be valid even though it showed I had 218 days left for it on my account. I don't everything but I know quite a bit. I halfway through a cybersecurity degree and about to take my Security+ cert too. We have delved into ethical hacking, VPNs, Network Security, and Firewalls to name a few classes.

I have learned more than your average pc user to say the least. So I called their customer support, they remote connected to my pc and I watched them fumble around dumbfounded as to why things were not working. They started going through folders and in AppData found a folder labeled CEF and asked if I knew what it was. I said I was not familiar with it so they said they would look it up. They pulled up a website on my computer and scrolled down, past explanations for this CEF folder which stated it was normal, it wasn't cause for concern, it was sometimes used with this and that, and went to the part where it could sometimes be used for viruses. They insisted this was preventing Avast from installing properly and that my computer had a virus.

They directed me to their total care packages and said they could fix the issue themselves if I paid either $119 or $199 for their package. To recap, I paid money already for their product to prevent myself, fix if infected, and use other services that could help in the situation they suggested I was suffering from, and their solution was to spend more money. When I explained the very unlikelihood of their suggested thoughts on why Avast would not install and why, they insisted that this was the only way they could help get their product to work which I already paid for. I told them basically my problem was not with my computer but with their software so I was better off just going to a competitor and saving $50-$150. They then said that in that case they would be willing to give me a $40 discount...

I uninstalled their program, downloaded Malwarebytes premium, surprise surprise no infection was found. Popped in a thumb drive and booted up Vipre Rescue just in case I was dealing with a tricky bastard and again, no virus. I ran a SFC/Scannow which verified all system files were sound and updated all my drivers and I came to the simple conclusion that I had before, it wasn't my computer, it was their program. No issues with anything else and clearly these people are just looking to screw over customers and get their money. They had no interest in fixing a problem for a paying customer and simply wanted me to cough up more money.

I feel truly sorry for those less knowledgeable who would not be able to see through their misdiagnosis at best and straight up scam at worst and have been swindled out of hundreds of dollars. This is not a good company with your best interest at heart. Stay away from them. Over 200 days left on my license I have decided to move onto a competitor.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I kept getting emails about re-newing Avast CleanUp. I did not respond by to one and that was to cancel my renewal. Today I get an email and they have already charged my MC $41.99. I went to go their site to cancel yet again called avast.com/find-order and could not sign in using my ID & PW or the alternate Email & Last 4 of my SS. The site kept saying "Invalid Info" and the site just kept returning me to the Look Up Your Order page. When I called the support person kept me online for many minutes and then because he could not help me I got his supervisor. The supervisor wanted to charge me $80 bucks to cancel a $41.99 order I didn't place or re-new.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I re-installed my O.S. last week and have a bare bones setup with minimal apps/drivers installed. I woke up today to a pop-up on my desktop from Avast (which is another problem unto itself) telling me I have "performance" issues. I thought, "Oh yeah, this should be funny". So I clicked on the "fix my pc" button to investigate the log of "errors" they found and boy did I have a hard time getting up from the floor after laughing so hard. I'm running Windows 7, client, and Avast tells me I need to "tweak to allow multiple TS Sessions".

That's a server function! Why in the hell is Avast asking me to tweak my TS settings when it's relating to Terminal Services? As for their list of "user tweaks": foreground lockout timeout, menu show delay, extended sounds... Really Avast? Really? Are you so pathetic that you grab for money from unsuspecting people by virtue of telling them the equivalent to "You have a bug on your windshield, and you're now using too much fuel. Let us rebuild your engine with parts you don't need."

I used to support Avast as their software was okay for a free package, but with the desktop popups happening a lot more now (a virus in itself) and now these flaky reasons to send them money to "tune" my PC! I studied computer systems engineering in the 90s, and have been using computers since the TRS-80 was a thing, and it's with this background that these tactics are seen as a complete insult to the PC community. You want my money Avast? I have lots of it, you just need to EARN it, and not by lying.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I noticed a charge on my Visa card from Avast. When I called to ask why they had charged my card, the recording sent me to the website. Once there, it asked for my account, then told me I didn't have one. When I tried to create an account, it told me I already had one. When I FINALLY got to a human being, he took me through the same steps, with the same results. To be fair, this charge initially was made by my husband, knowing we had an account with Avast and assuming it was a charge I would agree to. When I learned of it, I tried to cancel it. When I received notices, I tried to cancel them. Apparently that didn't work. I have disputed the charge with Visa.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

Lied up front for everyone. I my credit card got my $179.99 back! I had to provide estimates from 2 computer repairs services that stated that replacing a hard drive would get rid of any virus because they told me that still wasn't good enough! This was a couple a years ago (10/15-1/16) but people are still having trouble with them. Here's the story: Had problems after an update with Avast Antivirus and downloading VLC media player that "required it's browser". Later VLC said that wasn't their home site. They were at the top of the search page. Started getting blue screens later. Called Avast and they looked and found “conduit” a browser hijacker. The agent played it up as a high risk to my computer and online account transactions. Some other issues were also found and overly exaggerated. I know now. I asked him “If it is so bad then why didn't your software catch it”.

He Found a folder from Norton AntiVirus and said they were conflicting and stopped them from catching it. I have never had Norton loaded in my computer. I did a free virus search and then removed it. May have been left from that. He found a Comodo file and said that has to be removed. I said it's empty. He said it had to come out. (Later I pointed it out to the tech and he just deleted it. No big deal.) He said it would cost $179.99 for a one year plan to clear it up. I could use every week if needed. I needed the tools and licenses to remove it and the other issues. Well I said I would just get a new hard drive and upgrade my windows since I still have XP. He said “That won't work. It's in your computer!”. I said, "You mean that it is somewhere other than software?" He said, "You have to do this first before you do that." He pulled up an article about conduit on Wikipedia. I couldn't read it while he was talking and there was a dialog window over it.

He had access to my computer with quick connect. So I had no choice according to him. First tech fumbled around and lost connection. The second did a lot and my computer did run faster. Still got blue screens with the same error messages “YOUR SYSTEM HAS RECOVERED FROM A SERIOUS ERROR” and researched conduit and there are sites that tell you how to get rid of it. It is a nuisance not the risk he pointed out. The main point is my idea would have worked! So I called back and explained and pointed out the fraud (lies, misinformation, fear tactics, and high pressure sales tactics). They reviewed my account and said I had service done and have a one year plan so they could make an appointment with a more skilled tech. I said I had service done because your salesman told me all of those lies! He said maybe he was confused over the many viruses out there was all. I said then he was wrong.

I want my money back. I said “So you have no problem with one of your sales reps getting my contract by lying or using false information?”. He was quiet and then says, "Your computer was infected." I said I know it and he said getting a new HD and Windows upgrade wouldn't fix it. That is wrong. When I researched it, it said that removing a hard drive to get rid of a virus is like moving to a new home to get rid of a mouse and he agreed. At least he said, "Uh huh." He never denied that. So my idea would have not only worked. It would have updated my computer for about the same amount of money!

So I asked for someone else to talk to and he said he was the supervisor. I asked for someone higher up. He said there was no one higher up. So according to him I called and got the top man in the whole company for complaints first try! Does anyone believe that? I said, "Right now I'm going to finish the work myself because I don't trust you anymore and I'm going to file a complaint with the FCC." So for now I called my credit card and contested the charges as fraudulent and they have credited my account and are going to be the go between for now to settle this. I wonder if they are going to be honest with this or be like some other people I have met in the past. You back them in a corner and they come out lying. Wish it was recorded and I could have put up a link for you hear it. I did get refunded 2016.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I bought and paid for Premier Anti virus. When something slowed down and couldn't get my External hard drive to work and my PC Avast software. Tech support lady said she ran test and my computer is about to crash. That I needed a whole new Internal hard drive replaced. And her supervisor concurred. Yet when I went and did the research myself it was just a DNS server error and a USB drive reset. Had to spend 2-4 hours doing my own research to get Avast to work again. Why did I pay such a stupid company to protect and clean up my PC, only to have them tell me the wrong info and waste so many hours of my busy day? Unreal and totally made me not trust in their support and company.

Original review: July 30, 2017

Avast anti-virus for Mac did not protect my Mac. In fact Apple said it had bloatware that destroyed it's interface so it crashed and my back up had failed so I have to start with a clean mac. I had premium service for Mac as well as their private VPN (paid). I called Avast and they charged me $150 for full professional help. It did not work. The tech people disconnected and nothing was resolved until I took it to the Apple Store. It was temporarily resolved. The VPN did not stop anything. Also these tech guys told me to go to the post office and ship very close by and they would still be working on it but they were not. It's a joke. I am going to do a charge back on it. Because there was nothing premium about it.

In the end the whole Mac had to be reinstalled but luckily pics were saved in icloud as well as docs and google photos as well as other online storage services for doc but apps are gone and have to reinstall. On my mac free Comcast Xfinity bitdefender found malware but I could only uninstall three out of 5 and Avast found it to be clean.

My tech people that I go to locally on my Lenovo installed free Avira because it also crashed. They say all anti-virus software is a joke. But the free avira had so many ads and pop-ups to buy it that I decided that the devil I knew is better than the devil I didn't know. The premium paid for service is laughable. So I put in the Avast free now and it also has pop-ups. I mainly use the Mac so it's not a big deal but I use windows for other things like Office not too often.

I am very disappointed in Avast and think it sucks now. Their VPN is not an always on VPN so you have to reconnect it. It didn't intercept antivirus on my mac or my windows 10 (paid versions of both antivirus and private vpn on both). I now use NORDVPN on my mac and their tech team is USA based so they can understand me and I can understand them. I am not averse to dealing with tech people outside the country but these days things are a little weird so probably better to deal with people in the USA and Nord can travel with you world wide. It's an always on VPN.

It's just not Avast or Avira, it's all the anti-virus software. They now have free access to our accounts that's to our government not caring about privacy anymore so they know what we like and bombard us with pop-ups. However Avast did not work on either the mac version or the windows 10 paid version when I paid for both and the VPN. They didn't even discount me or bundle the deal but it wouldn't have worked anyway!

The one thing they were good at is finding malware in MacMail my gmail on that but my gmail on chrome never had viruses or malware so the whole thing is weird since I never read macmail but I can't remove it because Apple doesnt let me so that is where some of it came from. Even though I did not access it I did try to remove it. Apple seems to think that it's impossible for a mac to have a virus because of their firewall which I used instead of Avast's and Avast recommended it as well. All of this stuff should be supplied by the government anyway due to all that is going on with hacking and collusion somewhere with foreign governments. In government and business, transparency is the key and not spying on what we click on like in the old days. Times are worse for consumers than ever.

Original review: July 27, 2017

Wish I would have looked on here before dealing with this company. I'm writing this from my phone because I can't use my computer after running their cleanup software. I noticed a charge on my PayPal account from a company I didn't recognize or authorize. Looked into it and found out it was Avast. I have their free antivirus software but have never purchased anything from them. Called tech support because the number for customer service directs you to their website.

When I went to their website there was no account with my email. So anyway I thought I would call tech support and get someone to direct me where to go. After 30 minutes of a heated discussion with a tech and supervisor I stupidly allowed them to remotely access my computer thinking I would prove to them I didn't order anything. Big mistake. They pulled up the software and showed that there was an order. Again, stupidly, I thought maybe I or one of my kids accidentally clicked something and since they refused to refund the money I may as well get some use out of the cleanup software.

REALLY BIG MISTAKE!!! After running the cleanup, I can't do ANYTHING on my computer. That's when I googled them and found all the complaints on here. Another phone call to Avast tech support. I tried to remain calm but after getting nowhere with tech support or a supervisor I was furious. Told them I read several complaints similar to mine and I wanted a full refund. They refused. Again. They even told me it was because my computer is so old and out of date. It's a year old. How would they even know that anyway?? According to them the only thing they did when they remotely accessed my computer was look at their software. Unless they were looking at other things on my computer they would have no idea how old it is.

Anyway, I refused to let them access my computer again. Told them I was filing a complaint with the BBB and my local police department for fraudulent business practices. Told them I would file for a full refund and reimbursement of charges to get my computer fixed. They kept telling me it must be a problem with my operating system. I asked for the name of their parent company and the supervisor refused to answer. Just said "thank you for calling" and hung up. I'll be taking my computer to a local repair place in the morning and praying I didn't lose anything important. And will make sure NOTHING from Avast is on my phone.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I downloaded the FREE Avast Antivirus and they somehow got my PayPal information that I NEVER give out and over drew my bank account charging me $49.99! When you call the number you goggle for their contact number it goes to their tech support and they want to charge you $99 an hour to remove it from your computer! Good thing I already know how to remove it! I'm on the phone with them right now demanding a refund. I will also be filing a complaint with the BBB. Do NOT EVER download their software to your computer. They will hack your bank information and PayPal information and rip you off!

Original review: July 14, 2017

I haven't been this aggravated in a long time! I experienced some problems in my computer after I lost all programs and local folders (minus my files) to a virus which Avast failed to intercept before it caused my losses. I had an Internet Security from them and it should've caught that bug. So I didn't complain about not catching that bug when I called but instead more important to me was to fix those problems. First of all I had a very hard time to understand their accent on the phone and it became a torture to try to understand them. I did my best and stayed on the phone with them for as long as they said they needed.

I explained in detail what the problems were but they insisted on a "free" diagnostic and as a result they recommended I buy their $150 yearly service where they'd be doing all kinds of improvements even though I told them I do all of that myself and only want them to fix my problems. But after so much persistence and offering to fix it for only one time $50, I thought well let me pay them. It'll be worth IF they solve the problems... Well, after spending so many hours on the phone and using their remote for diagnosing, etc. and more and more time on the phone... I was too tired to try it so decided to let my poor computer and myself rest until tomorrow.

Tomorrow arrived and the same problems were still there. So I called them, spoke with the supervisor and of course he denied everything until I told him I'm writing to the CEO, Mr. Vince Steckler. Then he said "Ok I'll ask the refund dept. and you'll hear from them." All of which was SO UNNECESSARY!!! For a lousy $50 they went out of their way to make my life miserable and convince me to buy that thing. The funny thing is I was thinking to get AVG instead but... I read that Avast is buying it!!! Hilarious huh? LOL!

Original review: July 7, 2017

Do not purchase this Avast software! I made the mistake of purchasing the software for 2 of my computers. I purchased the Avast premier version. Spend over $100.0. The program did not operate properly and adversely my Outlook program. I spend an addition $199.0 with AVAST CARE customer support. I spend literally spend 2 and 1/2 days over 15 hours on live online support. None of the technicians could solve the problem. I got so disguised that I remove the software from both of my computers. Take this as a warning, DO NOT BUY!!!

Original review: June 23, 2017

I had used Avast for many years without problems, then at the end of May, 2017, the software vanished from my laptop. A call to their tech support lasted 3 hours to fix at a charge of 49.99. I told them I had already paid an annual subscription to protect my computer and they said that tech support wasn't covered. In essence, they had me over a barrel. After getting a supervisor on the phone and explaining my disbelief they were charging me for something their software should have prevented in the first place... She didn't waiver. Pay the 49.99 or NO FIX. Reluctantly, I paid the 49.99 for one phone call, then the same problem happened just one week later.

Another call to tech support connected me with a person who was not only hard to understand but was rude and robotic when I asked for answers. I have subsequently stopped auto renewal and requested a refund of my payments. Two weeks have passed and I have gotten NO RESPONSE from their billing dept. If they even have a billing department. This is blatant negligence... The company should refund payments and close their doors if they cannot deliver on promises. DO NOT USE AVAST... SOMETHING IS CRITICALLY WRONG. INTERNET THIEVES!

Original review: June 22, 2017

Okay! Angry beyond belief and a little paranoid. I had been a Avast customer for over 10 years. Upgraded my computer. Bought new from Best Buy. I called the Avast help number to properly install my product prior to doing anything on the computer before plugging it in and connecting it to the internet. Avast does a scan. Says that they can't install Avast because it has a Windows problem. I would need to upgrade my support to have the Windows repaired first!!! ** After a long discussion about how it is possible this happened to a computer. They said it had a Windows error that would cause Avast not to work properly. **!!!

So (THEY) give me a number of a certified Microsoft troubleshooting business that then does a scan and confirms that it has a Microsoft issue... So I admittedly stupidly, buy into it thinking that somehow I caused the snafu. In short after much deliberation I Buy support for them. Go 1 year 250 bucks. I get them to put the computer back to factory out of the box condition. And bring it back to Best Buy with some words of disgust. Wait it gets better!!! I'm then immediately plagued buy phone calls asking me about my experience with this second party company. They seem way too concerned as to why I haven't used their company to reinstall their access program on my new computer... I then go to my friendly Microsoft store. I purchase a laptop from them. Have them install all the software and assure me that everything is perfect... Call Avast BeFORe doing anything. Now they go online. I plug the computer into the internet exact steps here.

They do their magic, scan, take over my computer, show me some files on the Windows computer that are Windows files and won't allow Avast to work properly??? Sound familiar? I admit I flipped out!!! But really? Really??? Then I researched Avast. WTF. Their headquarters are in some sub province of a Russian satellite country. OMG. So now I put my tinfoil hat on and ** pray my bank info isn't being ** out to every dirtbag in cyberland. I reAlize that this text is a futile attempt. Being the company exists outside of our jurisdiction at all.

I refuse to install Avast at all on anything and if you, as others, have been manipulated by this company which seems to be the new trend of theirs. Complain at very least! I still haven't gotten my money back from Avast. I canceled my auto renew. They owe me a hell of a lot more than a year. Really people. Research this company then don your tinfoil hat and revolt against these cybercommies. All kidding aside it was an awful experience and caused by unscrupulous business practices. Thanks for the space to reach others. Real Avast rating -?

Original review: June 18, 2017

Had a problem three weeks ago with Smart Scan sticking on 71%. Eventually phoned after trying several times to resolve the problem. I was told there was something running in the background on my computer causing the problem. The response was, "It will cost you £90 to solve." My reply, "I'll take it to my repairer." How much will he charge? £40. Ok we'll do it for that. Speaking with them by phone, the standard of English was poor. I think the Philippines was mentioned. Took three hours to remedy. My renewal is due shortly. I've tried twice on the site to cancel, without success. Firstly they were trying to charge £59.99 and then I had a pop up for £19.99. Fortunately I paid by card. I've cancelled this card to stop any payment. Generally, a poor experience. Not to be repeated.

Original review: June 16, 2017

1st off anyone wishing to contact me via facebook I am the only ** in Stratford, Ontario. There are so many people's nightmare stories that I can relate to, one being Peter from Kingston Ontario and many others. Hope you able to contact me... It all started with my laptop running slowly and already had the free version of AVAST, anyways I run a dog sitting business from my home and do a ton of business on my laptop and could not afford to be down and my other tech people were not able to look into for me so contacted AVAST and at she talked me into the AVAST security, then that is when it all went wrong... My laptop started crashing all together wiping everything out doc's, pictures, files everything gone.

So needless to say she talks me into tech support another $159... Where she says they will fix. What is going on??? Umm yeah right, so then they get in there and tell me I need cleanup now. Well if that isn't even a worse joke, everytime the cleanup would run, it would totally wreak havoc on my system and slow everything down and upon completely shutting down my system for the night after a clean up I would wake up to a completely wiped out system again! Then the idiot tech support people who you can barely understand, constantly when you phone up do not keep records of umpteen calls and some different person gets in there and wreaks more havoc, kept telling them that it was cleanup and one guy took it out and then another day when I said, "Why am paying for this if it not even in my system" and he said, "It's not clean up" and reinstalls it again, grrrr...

Sure enough next morning completely wiped out again... Have been telling these people I want all of my money back and now am getting the run around on that. Have placed what they call a ticket into customer support with no reply as of 4 days, so now I am going to phone them tonight and dispute it on my credit card! In total ripped me off close $300. Total ripoff! Anyone wanting to compare notes feel free to contact me, think something should be done about these scam artists!

Original review: June 12, 2017

Avast has been wonderful! I had a router problem, I was told I had a virus. Talked to Felix at Avast. He showed me how to check the back of my hard drive to show if I was connected through the router or not. That a green light would be on. There was no green light. I called our internet server (after many calls where they tried to fix it via phone by resetting, which did not work!). So I told them what Avast told me. They came out and they fixed my connection. I had no virus! Thanks to Avast. I'm telling you, without their help my problem would NOT have been solved. Thank you Avast!!!

Original review: June 3, 2017

Few days back while working on my computer a technical glitch had raised and due to which executing of work had become tough. This is why I had dialed Avast contact number at 1-800-875-393 (toll-free) and interacting with panel of experts over there gave me correct solutions for all problems arising in my system. Really I am very thankful to management and even recommend my friends to contact them for 360 degree solution.

Original review: May 31, 2017

I don't even want to leave that 1 star!! Let me start out by saying how much I used to LOVE Avast!! I've been a loyal customer for... I don't know, maybe 10 years? Whatever - a very long time! Way back when their WHOLE package was built into 1 amazing product. It REALLY WORKED!! Then the company got greedy and broke up the product into separate parts... I was not happy, but stayed on anyway. Now, years later, I have found the cleanup program doesn't work as well as it used, to year by year. This year, I bought it for the last time. I did the free scan for my new laptop, it had a list of gunk to remove by their product, so bought it to find that the WHOLE LIST DIDN'T CHANGE AT ALL. It kept giving me an "error" message. When I called their hotline they said it wasn't their fault, but a Windows problem, I had to call Microsoft.

Ok... no more cleaner product. Months later (yesterday) I was using their "safe zone browser" (you know thinking it's all "safe" - right?) I get a nasty popup, using a form of ransomware from computer pirates. So before I touched anything, I called AVAST'S 24/7 hotline for help. You know what they did? They held their HELP FOR RANSOM!!! It was going to cost me about $100 for them to fix the problem!!! I said, "but I was using YOUR 'SAFE ZONE' they shouldn't have been able to get through. That should be covered by you guys!! That's what I paid for!!" They disagreed. They said it was probably already in my system. I said, "how? I have never used anything but Avast since I bought this laptop 2 years ago!!" (I even refused to use the anti-virus program my computer came with because I trusted Avast more!!)

So that was yesterday... I refused to pay. So I still have computer hackers looking through my computer as I type this right now. I will NEVER BUY from AVAST AGAIN!! And I had convinced all of my Facebook friends, family members, co-workers to use Avast as well. NEVER AGAIN. I'M TELLING THEM ALL TO STAY FAR AWAY!!!

Original review: May 31, 2017

I've purchased their Premium product for £19.99 a year. This one was a simpler version of their full Premium license. Within 10 months, I was charged another £44.99 saying that my trial subscription had finished and I was being renewed to a full Premium one. It doesn't matter how many times you try to cancel this auto-renewal on their website or which instructions you follow. It's just impossible. And what made me very upset is why they just upgraded the product I had without my permission. If it's auto-renewal it should be for the same product you had previously. Very unhappy with Avast.

Original review: May 24, 2017

I have purchased a one-year subscription of Avast VPN Secure Online, after a 7-day trial version. The trial version worked perfectly; however, once I paid the US$39.99 for the 1-year subscription. It did not allow me to enter the subscription number they sent me via email. I was with technical support for over ONE HOUR, spoke to supervisor etc... The bottom line: either I pay US$49.99 for them to fix the issue and allow me to use the US$39.99 service OR I am out of luck! DO NOT BUY AVAST SERVICES. DO NOT BUY AVAST SOFTWARE. IT IS A SCAM!!! Once I asked for refund, they gave me the runaround and did not provide me clear instructions on how I could get my money back. I had to call credit card and ask them to dispute the charge in my behalf.

Original review: May 21, 2017

My father passed away April 11th this year. He had purchased Avast Antivirus software in the past, but unfortunately Avast was set to automatically renew. Even though the credit card he had used was expired the software company still renewed this software on it. I sent a message to the people at Avast, but never received a response. Now my father's estate is in probate and I'm the executor. I just received a letter from Avast going through the courts to collect on this charge, which means I have to pay more money to have my attorney involved. I explained to them in my message that I could send them a copy of my father's death certificate, but I never heard from them. Avoid this company.

Original review: May 20, 2017

For 3 years I've had standing orders in place to pay for avast products on my phone. Avast SecureLine, Avast Mobile Security, Avast Cleanup pro. Today I had a problem with one grade. So contacted Avast which is quite difficult. And I was informed they did not have any account of me whatsoever... and that I must have been using their free products!!! I have my standing order account to prove otherwise... avoid avoid.

Original review: May 19, 2017

I bought Avast Antivirus on 13/05/17 with my credit card. They promised to send me an activation code. When I did not get any response until 16/05/17, I sent them an email. Today is 19/05 already and still no answer to my email (Ticket ID: [**]) and no activation code. How difficult can this be to buy an antivirus??? Would never deal with them again.

Original review: May 17, 2017

Subscribed with Avast for the security software. Kept getting "pop ups" wanting to upgrade, which I always declined. Finally, my PC died and purchased a new system which I no longer run Avast. Then suddenly without warning, I see my bank account hit for over 100.00 for 2 separate programs of which I knew nothing about, don't even use them anymore. Complained to my financial institution and via conference call, contacted the 800 number listed for the transaction. Got some "red dot" that didn't even know what company we were calling about and was very very hard to understand. Could not resolve and bank account was hit for the stated amount. The red dot said it was because of an "automatic" renewal of which I was NEVER made aware of. NEVER EVER will I use Avast and will do all I can to discourage anyone else from doing the same.

Original review: May 16, 2017

I submitted a ticket over 12 days ago and still haven't received a reply. All I need is a simple refund of $20 for a new computer that I decided to send back, so I no longer need the coverage for it. I installed Avast and 2 days later decided I wouldn't be needing it. Customer support line just sends you in a loop back to the website that they apparently never answer. SOOO frustrating.

Avast Antivirus expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Czech-based Avast was the first company to offer home network security and is dedicated to providing free antivirus protection to homes, schools and businesses around the world. Founded in 1988 and headquartered in Prague, Czech Republic, Avast also has locations in the USA, Germany, China, South Korea and Tawain.

• Keeps your online activity private: Avast won’t sell your private information to anyone, including the NSA, CIA or government.
    • Unbreakable password: One unbreakable password protects all of your system’s other passwords.
    • International: Find a business partner around the world who speaks your language and can provide local service.
    • Saves schools money: Schools can get protection from threats and viruses for free without limitations on seats or time.
    • Avast SecureLine: Avast’s SecureLine protects your iOS devices so you can maintain a secure connection on the go.
    • No tracking with SecureLine: Avast SecureLine doesn’t keep logs of your online activity so what you do online is completely secure and untraceable.
    • Best for: Individuals, schools and businesses.
    Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
    Shelley Elmblad

Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Avast Antivirus Company Information