4.78/5
Based on 735 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

HomeDirect Mortgage is an online only ‘direct’ lender that specializes in obtaining home loans at great rates for our clients. Our automated online application process will save you time and money. HomeDirect has experienced mortgage bankers to help guide you every step of the mortgage process. Contact us today to learn more about HomeDirect Mortgage.

HomeDirect Mortgage, a division of BOKF, NA. Member FDIC. Equal Housing Lender.

HomeDirect Mortgage Video
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 12, 2018

753 HomeDirect Mortgage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 12, 2018

Great experience. Our loan consultant, Jamie, was very helpful. They offered a competitive rate and got the loan processed quick. They even help get a title issue resolved. We initially went through LendingTree and we picked them above all others due to how comfortable Jamie made us feel.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 11, 2018

My husband and I had a great experience with HomeDirect Mortgage. Stephen was very easy to work with and was extremely knowledgeable. He was always available to answer any questions we had throughout the process. He was never pushy when we were making our decision as to which company was going to be best for our needs.

Original review: April 3, 2018

HomeDirect Mortgage did a good job on my loan for my new home. I know the loan officer personally and he took care of everything for me. He was knowledgeable and fast. I really didn't have to do a whole lot. Their online application process was simple and quick, and we got everything done in less than a month.

Original review: April 2, 2018

We took a subsidy home loan from HomeDirect Mortgage for a new purchase. They were recommended by a friend and they ended up having the best interest rate that we could find. I contacted the same mortgage officer my friend used and she initiated the process. We came through all the hoops that we needed to. The process was simple. Our mortgage officer was very prompt. She got things done in a very expeditious manner. When I had questions or needed answers, she was very knowledgeable and responded very quickly. I felt very comfortable working with her. The process took 30 days, which worked out just fine. Also, they were very helpful and professional and helped us with our needs. We’re happy to have a new home and we’re happy to continue working with them in the future if we decide to purchase a new home.

Original review: April 2, 2018

We bought a farm and we got a loan for the new purchase of a used house. We got the best rate from HomeDirect Mortgage and they had the best overall services. We ended up using our VA and they sold themselves as being very VA-friendly. There were some closing costs that they picked up on and tried to make that as best as they can. It was streamlined as far as that goes. My wife was more involved in lining everything up with the gentleman from the HomeDirect and had to get all of the documentation straight.

It was quick and we didn’t run into that many glitches. Our interactions with the representatives were all well. We either got phone calls or notices of any documentation we did and we followed up on. We had one single point of contact and we had their direct number. The rep sent us stuff directly to either an email notification that my wife would get to our iCloud or to our Gmail accounts, whatever that we needed to be followed up on.

Overall, they’re excellent. They sell themselves that they were familiar with the VA loans. And we understand the majority of the VAs are going to be in young soldiers, airman, marines, and sailors or first-time home buyers. But if we were buying a forever home or a retirement home or a mansion that was over a half a million, then that would be a little different nature. We’re needed to have more money upfront to be able to close. They were knowledgeable about all that down to the literal dollar. We expected to pay about 6,000 more when we went to technically close than what was required so we were happy about that. 21,000 versus 27,000 when buying a 500,000 plus on home makes a big difference.

We got really fortunate because interest rates are going to go up so we locked that in. They stayed in abreast of this really quick too to tell us, “Let’s get this locked in.” So, we got a good lower interest rate as we could at that timing anyway. We’ve got a new home. We shopped around. And we had to nail down to two or three that we were comfortable enough with, that were familiar with the VA, and they were willing to do a VA. We’ve been moved in for about a month or a little over now. We closed and then we didn’t get position until the 21st of February. HomeDirect Mortgage is very good and I would recommend them. I would tell my friends that if they’re familiar with the VA process and what requirements are from out of the VA, that would be a plus. But one nice thing is having one point of contact to go back and forth to, rather than going to a phone chain or back and forth.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeDirect Mortgage?

Original review: April 1, 2018

I wanted to refinance and I emailed HomeDirect. They were on top of it and they did all the work. And every time they had questions, they would call me or sometimes email because I wasn’t available. The online application process was self-explanatory and detailed so I didn’t have any issues completing it. The refinance process took about three weeks. The next day after I submitted the application, the rep already called me and he explained all the details and options I had. He was open and very approachable, and I could call any time I had an issue. HomeDirect lowered my interest rate, and for me, that’s really good. The people at HomeDirect did an awesome job helping me out. They’re very user-friendly and knowledgeable about their subject, and I will definitely recommend them.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I didn't want to waste too much time getting the stuff HomeDirect Mortgage already have. I just have to update my information so I refinanced with them and got into the VA loan program. They had a good rate as well and I felt good about it. I already had a loan with them a couple of years prior so it was easy to go through the same process again. Once I finally committed to it, the application and underwriting process took about a month which was fine. I didn’t feel too stressed because I was already locked in with the rate so it wasn’t a big deal.

The lending process felt seamless and easy because all their transactions were electronic. First thing I had to sign, I just had to type. I picked, pointed and clicked with my wife. If they’re going to improve anything, it would be the speed of the process. They could speed it up for a week or two so as short as possible. Nevertheless, they were always eager to help and train you, making the customer feel at ease. Working with HomeDirect Mortgage was nice because I was able to put some money out, pay some bills and still have a very good rate. I appreciated that they did such a good job and have a good rate. For that, I’d use them again for the fourth time.

Original review: March 31, 2018

My realtor has been using HomeDirect Mortgage for years and she recommended it. HomeDirect's application process was simple. I just sent in my banking information to Andrew, the loan officer, and everything went fairly quickly. Andrew was great. He’d answered the phone anytime I called and fixed any problem I had within a reasonable time. The application and underwriting process took about 14 days, which was the time that we needed it to be done. We locked in over the weekend because the rates were going to be going up during the next week. So, I got the best rate available. I wish they could make a bi-weekly payment of the mortgage available. But other than that, HomeDirect was excellent.

Original review: March 31, 2018

We made a new purchase. I looked up on the internet and I browsed top lending companies for VA loans, and HomeDirect Mortgage was one of those that came up. I went to LendingTree and a lot of people contacted me, but then I did a secondary check with HomeDirect and the loan officer who worked with us was fantastic. He was able to deal with everything that came up and he made the process really smooth. He got everything done such as the approval and a commitment letter and he was able to get those turn around pretty quickly to be able to keep things moving for us. He was really good and the online application process was very user-friendly for me.

However, we had a bit of hold up during the application and underwriting process because the real estate attorney didn’t get my loan officer the information that my loan officer needed. That wasn’t on HomeDirect and more on the real estate attorney that we had, but that ended up being okay. I was most impressed by my loan officer's professionalism, promptness, knowledge, and the fact that he treated us like somebody who might be his only client. His level of expertise was excellent and the rates were good as well. We had tried to get a loan earlier and then the rates took up slightly and he was watching it for us. And then we paid it down to get a bit lower rate but it was all worth it. The VA loan is a bit different but regardless of the loan, I would recommend HomeDirect.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Our HomeDirect Mortgage rep, Joe, did a 15-year fixed refi on the house that we sold and he did a really good job. The lender was in Ohio when we sold our house in Oregon and they recommended somebody. Joe got an alert that we were being pinged for loans, so he called up. He had way better rates and he was much more knowledgeable with the VA system. He knew his stuff. The online application process was fast and easy. If I didn't know a thing, all I had to do was find a piece of paper, figure it out, and then type it in five minutes. Since Joe had already given us a loan to refi our house a couple of years prior, it was nearly updating our information. He said, "Yeah, we got this, this, this, this and this. I need you to give me the new stuff or this one. We need your 2016 taxes now but I've got your 2015." It was already on file with him and was very easy.

We really like the rate and terms of the mortgage that we received and we know it was the best that we could get for the time. We're super sad the interest rates weren't as low as before but we asked some other companies about rate quotes and HomeDirect provided a really good quote and we were very happy with that. The lender credit was very nice and there was no hassle and no fuss. I'm very comfortable with HomeDirect and I really love them. They are astute and way better than the other companies.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I went with HomeDirect's VA loan program for a new home purchase. We had to go through all of the steps that are associated with VA. However, the inspector gave us a really low estimate on the price or value of the house. So, we put in a complaint letter and justified why we felt that was an inaccurate estimation. We had them do a reevaluation and it came back higher but still not as high as we needed. Fortunately, the owner of the place accepted a lower bid as we bade about $4,000 above the asking price. The owner ended up bringing the value down to the point where we could afford it. If it hadn’t been for that, we would have had to cancel out on the deal. So, that was the major problem and that set us back about two months. And after that, the application and underwriting process took about three weeks, which seemed normal and acceptable.

This was our first time attempting to buy something out here on the East Coast. We are basically from the West Coast and had been through the purchasing of new home many times and had always gone through escrow companies. Whereas here, we ended up with three different lawyers that have to decide all of the funding costs. It seems like a difficult matter to come up with a smooth flow of things, and now, I don’t know whether it was us requesting a VA loan that messed things up or not, but it definitely was a lengthy process here and that seems to be the standard. If I talk to pretty much anybody in the New York area here, they'll tell me that it’s not a very expedient process.

The rep at HomeDirect seemed to respond to our questions and all the papers and stuff that needed to be signed and faxed and forwarded for his files. There was a lot of that that was involved, but we never really had any issues with him or with the representative of the loaner. And the rate was good since we were able to get a much better starting deal by accepting a higher interest rate. The higher interest rate for the loan still was something that we could handle, so it didn’t appear to be really detrimental to us. But it made a big difference with the overall closing cost. We’re now in an older house that has a lot of work to do but it was what we wanted to have anyhow. So, with HomeDirect, we got what we wanted and everything is rolling along fine right now.

HomeDirect Mortgage was fine but not necessarily outstanding. We still had to jump through a lot of hoops to get things done. But under the normal course of things, the rep, Jim, did what he needed to do. Jim was very professional about the stuff that he ended up dealing with and he kept up well informed of what was going on and what was needed. And he was pretty prompt at what he did. He dealt with my wife very personably, so it was a good experience except for the problem with the overall inspection value that was applied. It was Jim who told us to put in the complaint on that and we followed his instructions and got a reevaluation.

Original review: March 29, 2018

We had our second house burned down a couple of years ago so we started to rebuild. I took out a couple of different home equity loans to do that. I was at the limit at one of them so I had to take another one out. The rates were going up on home equities and the deductibility of them was in question. Home equity loans didn’t sound like they were going to be deductible so I went to the first mortgage with HomeDirect. I did a refinance to do away with the home equity loans and take out the first mortgage.

The process of obtaining the mortgage was like taking out another home equity and it took three months. I sent in 150 pages of documents and it was very frustrating, although not as bad as the home equities. But those were both horrible. The agent said I had no problem being qualified but they still asked for more paperwork that was much more than I thought was necessary. One time, I sent in 10 sets of 10 pages of documents. They were all the same and there was nothing different on any of them except the first two pages. They wanted it for every month so I sent in the whole one on the first month and then after that, since all the pages were the same, I sent in the first two pages, but they wouldn't accept it.

By then, I was out of the country and the agent said I didn’t need it to qualify, but they came back and wanted all those same pages. I told them to look at the first document because everything else was garbage. They didn’t accept them and it was frustrating, whether it was a home mortgage or a second mortgage. The online process was okay but once I filled out the app, it was all of the paperwork and the time I spent. I had to send 150 pages of different documents. The whole process was way too involved and they asked for too much. They dotted every I and crossed every T like it was a death warrant and everything had to be perfect.

When we were through with the process of me providing all the paperwork, they went to the title company and they made changes that they never asked me about and never told me they were making. Two of them, in particular, is going to cost me a lot of money. The first one was that our house is in trust for my wife. So, they wanted the trust document and I sent them a summary of it because it was lengthy. They accepted that and they left it in trust. In Michigan, we have a reduction of our real estate taxes, and when they took it out of trust, they eliminated the deductibility of my real estate taxes, which means I'm going to have almost a 50% increase in my taxes. They sent 120 pages over for me to sign and they sent a notary over who didn’t know anything about the documents. If I had to go through the 120 pages and read every line, it would have taken me a week and a half, eight hours a day. So, I just signed them.

Also, we caught a couple of things that they shouldn't have done. Because they took it out of its trust, I had to hire an attorney and he said I’m going to lose my exemption for 50% off on my real estate taxes. I asked why and he said it was the way HomeDirect did it, which they shouldn't have done. I closed on the loan but now, I got to battle it out. My attorney is going to see if I can get my tax exemption back. That was one problem and they never told me about it. It has caused me an extra cost and a big headache and I don’t even know if I'm going to get the exemption back.

My interaction with the originator, Kent, went fine and I told them at one point that with all the problems they were causing us, I felt like backing right out of the whole loan. And I didn’t like when Kent said, "Oh no, you've been in business for a long time. You know how things go. It's no big deal." I told him that it was a big deal because it was causing me all kinds of cost and headaches, and he just fluffed it off. Once they turned it over to the title company who did all of this, it was out of Kent's hands and there was nobody checking the title company so it caused me all kinds of problems.

I would not go back to HomeDirect because of what happened with the title company. The only thing I got was a lower interest rate which I was going to get no matter who I went with. When I did the mortgage with HomeDirect, I put my original house, not the one that I was refinancing on. Kent said that we did it in our original house because it was going to be easier, and I said okay. Now, there are some questions whether or not I can deduct that interest on that loan because it's on my second house, and that's part of the new tax law. I had my home equity loan with a bank and I had my condo in Florida as the collateral, that I had to put up as if I don’t pay, they get the condo. I also had another one with United Federal Credit Union for $200,000. The bank was $100,000. They put my main residence in Michigan as my collateral for HomeDirect.

They had to close my United Federal Credit Union because I had that house up as the collateral for that loan. Then the title company went and closed my home equity loan that I had taken out with the bank. And when they did that, the bank came back and I signed the documents along with 120 other pages of documents. They should not have closed it. They should have paid it off like they did the United Federal. They had to close United Federal because they had to put my residence on the new loan so that was okay. But instead of paying down to zero, they closed my home equity loan with the bank for my Florida condo.

I called the title company and asked why they did that. The rep said they had to because they were securing their mortgage against that house. I said they weren’t and they were securing that about with my main residence in Michigan, and I had the Florida condo on home equity line of credit with the bank. He checked and saw that I was right and they didn’t need to close that loan. I got charged $1,000 from the bank for closing the loan out because it was not in effect for three years. So now, I've got to pay another $1,000 and I asked my attorney if I have a claim against this title company.

When I had just gotten back from Costa Rica, they wanted to get the loan closed because we were two days away from the guaranteed rate that they had given me. I had to do it. I didn’t have time to read it and study and send it to my attorney. Now, besides paying my attorney again, I got to pay the bank. I told the bank that my plan was not to close this loan because I was going to use it for my Florida condo. I wanted to do it on a home equity and it was a lot easier. They said, "Well, you did sign the document. Even though the title company screwed up, you signed the document." The rep then said that it’s going to be a battle.

HomeDirect didn’t tell me they were closing out either home equity lines. The agent said he’d call the bank and tell them that we didn’t mean to close it out, but we just wanted to pay it down to zero. He called me back two days later and said that he got a confirmation that they were going to look at it. But by the time they got to the info, the loan has closed so I called the bank and I explained it and they said they had to go back through their pay-off department and see if they'll reopen it. I said I wanted the loan but I didn’t want it to be paid off. Now I've got to wait 30 days. I was going to start the "remodernization" of the condo and I've got to hold up on that too. It's been a fiasco and nobody's checking the title company. The title company never talked to me once, put together 120 pages of which I had to sign numerous times. My wife and I had signed 20 different times.

They're not interfacing with me, the borrower, and they should be talking to me. There were obviously two things they did wrong and nobody ever talked to me. It's going to cost me a lot of money, probably $3,000. I lost my real estate taxes, and if I lose that exemption, that's going to cost me $2,500 alone and then I get the $1,000 I've had to pay the bank for closing the home equity line which they screwed up.

Original review: March 29, 2018

The original mortgage that I with TD Bank was split between a home equity credit line and a first mortgage. And it was a seven-year adjustable rate mortgage. I was looking at LendingTree one evening and I wanted to find out what the rates were, so I gave them my information and I got calls from about 10 different people. The mortgage broker that I chose through LendingTree, the current mortgagee, was the only one who asked me whether or not I was a veteran, if I honorably discharged, and if I had ever used the VA loan before. No one had ever suggested I could use the VA loan, and the broker was able to consolidate my loan and do it through the VA. It was a refinance.

The mortgage process was very onerous as the VA requirements were very stringent. For example, I had prepaid my federal taxes and prepaid the state taxes. And yet, the VA wanted to know the sources of the moneys that I used to pay the taxes. Then I had to get a copy of the front and the back of the check to demonstrate that I actually had paid the taxes. The VA requirements were extremely picky and I had to comply with them. I have a well on my house and I had to have that tested to prove it didn't have bacterial contamination. I had to have the septic system checked to make sure that the septic system was not broken. They were stuff that I would never have done before at any other mortgage company. So I did everything that the VA wanted and it cost me a little more money, but at the end of the day, HomeDirect finally approved my loan.

The online application process was fine. It was quicker because when I filled something online, it is sent over to the broker. And he would call me or email me and tell me exactly what I wanted. If they wanted any documents such as my tax returns, he would send me a prepaid UPS address stamp or mailing, a label to put on the package and send it. They were very accommodating that way. The whole application and underwriting process took about six weeks. The rep was terrific and very cooperative. I could call him any time and he got back to me very quickly. He was excellent and I was very pleased with the service that he gave.

The rate and the terms of the mortgage with HomeDirect were excellent as well. I got 3.5, 30-year fixed, as opposed to an adjustable rate with the original mortgage that I had with TD Bank where the original home equity credit line started as a payment of $525 a month and after about six months, they raised it by a $100, saying that I was on a very low loan and they had every right to raise the rate. With HomeDirect's 30-year fixed, I don't have to worry about interest rates going up in the future. Working with HomeDirect Mortgage made me very happy that I had someone who was on my side. The rep took care of everything. He was a great intermediary and he saved me any direct contact with the VA.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I was buying a new house and HomeDirect Mortgage had the best rates for a VA loan. They also helped me buy the house pretty fast. We only lived in a hotel for a couple days when we first got to Virginia because the closing was so fast. We started in December and I closed on February 9th. As soon as I knew the house I wanted, the process only took probably about a month. But I had to wait on the seller to say I can have the house for a certain price and I wish I could’ve done the paperwork in November because from November to December, the rates went from 3.25 to 3.5. It was nothing to do with HomeDirect but I was upset at the fact that that extra 0.25 was added within a 20-day period. Nonetheless, the rate seemed good and 3.5 didn’t seem that high.

I also liked the fact that HomeDirect gave me some credit and I didn’t have to pay some fee that other people were gonna make me pay. That was another reason I picked HomeDirect. I had a good experience with them too. Their representative, Matt, answered every question I needed. I had all kinds of questions about the different rates and he went into each one in detail and let me know this and that. I would ask his opinion and although he can’t say which one to pick, he gave me his opinion and I went off of that. He was easygoing and he did everything I needed him to do.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I had an adjustable mortgage and I was concerned about the rising interest rates. HomeDirect Mortgage had a better overall cost. I filled out a couple of forms on the internet and I was contacted, then we went from there. I also called and inquired about the automatic draft and they answered my questions. Overall, I’m fairly happy with everything about the refinance experience with them. The whole thing took less than a month.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I already had a mortgage with HomeDirect and it was time to refinance from a 30 to a 15. I received a phone call from HomeDirect and moved forward with that. It was pretty much all done over the phone. Also, everything was done through DocuSign so, it was easy. However, the application and underwriting process was way too long. It took close to two months and that was a little alarming. I've been doing real estate about ten years so I felt pretty familiar with the way how mortgages work. It's pretty alarming considering you'd have to go through an entirely new underwriting process and I have to give my first born information and hand them out my left leg, even though they already had the mortgage itself in-house. There should have been an easier process than that because they already approved it the first time.

The collection of the information should be a lot less for somebody that's refinancing within the same company. And after that, I should be able to give them some updated W-2s, personal financial statement, and we move on. I already had given them two years bank statements when I did the loan the first time. I don't know why I need to give them another two years bank statements. Also, I wasn't very pleased with the gentleman that was helping me with the way that he was handling things. He was being pulled in many directions, whether he was overloaded with files or whether he just rather wasn't paying attention to the files that we were talking about. I felt like I was having to basically do somebody's job for them. By the time we got through, he kind of gave me a bad taste in my mouth.

It'd be nice when somebody calls to talk to me about the house that we're refinancing and if he knew what city he was in so if we misunderstand, there would be a discussion about terms of the load and financing, kind of help things from being structured in escrow. On the other hand, the rates and terms were very fair. I shopped around and it's competitive. But I probably won't work with HomeDirect Mortgage again because of that experience. It took two months to get something done that should have taken a matter of a couple of weeks. Find a local bank that would make life easier.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I had a good experience with HomeDirect Mortgage. We needed to refinance and HomeDirect was the most prompt. They responded quickly to my questions and they were also very thorough in their responses. I was considering five different lenders at that time and everything I asked for, their representative Jordan supplied. I'd like to know everything that’s going to happen in the process and whatever I requested, he would follow up immediately. That was very helpful for me to understand what to expect in the future. I had a really pleasant experience with him and everybody that I worked with that was associated with HomeDirect.

Additionally, the process was simple and user-friendly. The application and underwriting process took about 5 weeks. I was anticipating anywhere from six to eight weeks so it met my expectations. Moreover, the rate was good. I used to have a conventional loan. Now, I have a loan that has a PMI. So even though I got a good rate, the fact that I'm paying $115 in PMI is putting me at the fee that I was paying before at a higher rate. So while the rate sounds good, the PMI is throwing it off and I didn’t know too much about that at the very beginning. It was a learning process for me.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I was pleased with my experience with HomeDirect. The service was expeditious and they maintained outstanding communications with the lender. The timing was everything and once we realized that HomeDirect was offering a very competitive rate, we compared and shopped. We were enamored with Andrew who provided us assistance. He was always available to answer questions for us whether it was during office hours or outside of office hours. He went above and beyond to get the refinance done and I was really appreciative of his efforts. The online application process was fairly straightforward. I’ve been through the process before so, it was very efficient and was as expected. And I’ve recommended HomeDirect to the individual who previously had another lender some years ago.

Original review: March 26, 2018

We looked up the person we were dealing with. And he had years of experience and a good track record in terms of his reviews and stuff that we had found after we contacted him. They called and started talking about how they could help us, and we started digging into the details of how we could get things done. The online process was a lot of back and forth. It was not easy. It was cumbersome. The whole application and underwriting process took three months.

I think that the process would have been a lot easier had we been able to move forward right away, rather than having to go back and forth so many times with the lender. And there could have been a little more knowledge about the way the market was moving, and the way that our responsibilities as the borrowers could have been explained better. Some of their response was slow. We got favorable rate and terms, though. And HomeDirect Mortgage got our refinance done. It saved us money on our mortgage.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I refinanced our current mortgage with HomeDirect. They had good rates and were competitive with everybody else. We did most of the process online and had back and forth conversations mostly by email. The application process wasn’t difficult or time consuming and my loan rep was always kind, very helpful and knowledgeable.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I tried to go with HomeDirect Mortgage originally when I bought my house. They were so helpful, but we were not able to make it work. With the builder that we had, we would have lost everything with the lender. I had a crappy rate on my mortgage and I went back to HomeDirect Mortgage for my refinance. The process was streamlined and painless. We provided much of the documentation because their refinance is interest reduction.

We worked with the same person that we worked with initially. We provided them the payoff information and contact information to the existing people that are sourcing the loan. Then they provided us a quote. However, they needed to see us make six payments on the first loan in order to be able to refinance it. We locked in in December so they provided us their estimated closing cost and updated payment information. We closed in February and we signed the disclosures a couple of days ahead of time. And we had a notary show up at our house and signed all paperwork. Then it was completed and we just received the payoff confirmation from the old lender yesterday. The level of customer service was great. I was happy with the work done.

They are responsive to emails and phone calls. They exceeded all expectations. A lot of the documentation we had applied initially on the loan was not required because they were in still interest rate reduction. There was also no so it was simplified. The refinance reduced my mortgage payment $500 a month. I have referred my brother and sister to them. Moreover, I told some of my co-workers who said that they were looking to refinance that they should definitely check with HomeDirect Mortgage.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I used HomeDirect Mortgage in the past and I liked the guy I worked with. Jim did everything I needed him to do, so I used them again. After purchasing through another lender, we refied and HomeDirect's rates were the best ones out there. The application process was easy. It was much easier than it would be with another company. Jim was great and if we ever do this again, I'll use him.

Original review: March 25, 2018

We found a house down here in Georgia Lake and turned to HomeDirect for mortgage since their interest rate was lower than others. I contacted somebody online and they returned my phone call. I communicated to them what I wanted and they set everything up and we started the process. Their online application was easy. I got approval in three days. And then it took about two weeks for the entire process including the final analysis where they had to go through some employment verification.

My loan rep was Jessie and I was impressed with his professionalism and his knowledge about VA loans. He was very helpful and informative and really quick to respond anytime I had a question. He also had an assistant helping him out and I've passed them information along to her that she requested. And then Jessie, about a week later, asked me for that same information, that I had informed him that I had already given it to his assistant. So he checked and verified that he got it. And then he apologized to me for asking for it, that I already sent it though. It was a little bit of communication issue between him and his assistant but nothing that needed to be complained about. I'm very comfortable working with him.

I was very happy with the rate I got and it was one of the lowest rates that I found on Zillow. And then everything went really smoothly. I also think my good credit ratings helped. Working with HomeDirect made it much easier for me to obtain the loan. Their whole process was seamless and they really worked with me. Last time, about 35 years ago, I took a home loan and it was a lot different back then. There was no online application. And so this was much quicker and easier. I'd tell anyone interested in HomeDirect to make the application and that it's an easy process with them and they were very helpful.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I was 100% impressed and amazed with HomeDirect. I felt that the mortgage I got from them made everything a hell of a lot easier. I was able to have two months off of mortgage and my refinance helped me a lot to be able to get my life in order. So, I really much appreciated that. Everything happened fast and smooth, and I have to thank Ronald, the mortgage lender that I spoke to, for that.

He was a former marine like me, so I felt very comfortable, respected, and cared for. We spoke the same language, had the same understanding, and wanted the same interests for my betterment. He never let me make a phone call, leave a voice mail, and not get back to me right away. He did an amazing job and I want to deal with him for the rest of the time that I have this mortgage company. He needs to run HomeDirect Mortgage because he was an awesome guy. We communicated directly, talked about the possibilities of me refinancing, and my mortgage rate. We also talked about my payments and my payment plans. Everything worked out perfectly given the time frame of me refinancing my home to be able to get a lower mortgage rate. He guided me through the process like a friend.

He was very on point in getting everything situated and when the bank that I had to deal with was having an issue, he was able to communicate with them and me very well. He was very more knowledgeable than they were and he was working with me through it while he was working with them through it. Everything ended up coming out in the right avenue of approach to be able to get the refinance to go through. So I was very happy with HomeDirect. Given my credit at the moment, with everything I've gone through, and the rate I got was better than most, I'm hoping that within six months, when I can finance again, I would be doing that with HomeDirect, too. If others don't go with HomeDirect, they're retarded.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I was buying a house. I went on LendingTree and HomeDirect Mortgage had low rates. I called the gentleman up and he said nobody would be able to touch their rates. The guy was very knowledgeable, very helpful, and made the process pretty painless. Their process was also very quick and easy. I had to send him financial information and we went back and forth a couple of times with regards to making sure we had all the right forms and all the right W-2 information. Every question I had, he responded back immediately via phone or email.

The whole thing took less than a month to complete which was on the money. Then, when I went to close, my agent had to look twice at the rate that I was provided because they could not believe it. I bought quite a few houses, but those guys at HomeDirect did a really good job and I don't regret going with them. I referred a friend of mine to HomeDirect and he was on the fence of whether or not he was going to buy a new home. But after my recommendation, he said he would contact the POC that I gave him if he was going to do it.

Original review: March 23, 2018

When I decided to move back home from Virginia Beach, I scattered around ‘till I found a home that I wanted in Oklahoma which is where I was from. The process of obtaining the loan from HomeDirect Mortgage was done online and through mail and emails, except for the closing, and it took 45 days from start to finish. My experience with their reps was fantastic. Kerry was firm but polite. He was so considerate when I got a little bulky about some of the information he needed and he dealt with me very well. I don’t pass along information about myself willingly at all ever, but he got what he needed and he explained in details as to why. He didn’t leave me hanging.

He was a very nice man and I enjoyed working with him. However, I wish that I was able to fill out the thing online, in regards working with him. Every time I tried to open it to put anything on there, it kept telling me that I didn’t have the correct password. But I’ve had that password for eight years and I know it’s perfect but I never got to open it.

Original review: March 23, 2018

We were buying an investment property and for the new home loan, we stayed with the gentleman who got us another loan on another house four years ago. He moved companies and he works for HomeDirect Mortgage now. I've gotten three loans through him and he was awesome. I gave him all my paperwork and insurances then he went to do his job. He called me when to sign and told me what the interest rate was within the week. I wish I could have gotten a better interest rate but I know that the interest rates are bull. The Federal Reserve is printing money out of nothing and they're going to keep raising the interest rates. Economically, we're in trouble. But it's an investment property so I don't care. On my own personal property, I got a good rate from this loan officer and I would use him again. I love HomeDirect and I'll use them again.

Original review: March 23, 2018

The HomeDirect lending process was streamlined and easy to work with. I applied through my broker, whom I've been working with for a bunch of years. When he needed something signed, he emailed me and asked me for information. I got him the information he needs and it just went from there. It was stress-free. Everything was online and they sent out a mobile notary to sign, and my broker was able to close it up in 30 days. Working with HomeDirect got me a new VA mortgage and lowered my payment and interest rate, and I would refer my friends to my broker.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I found a couple houses on Zillow and I was trying to model some financing just to get some budgetary information. And there was a link there. And then there was like some PDFs that we e-signed and I got contacted by someone from HomeDirect. Once I started working with the gentleman, Josh, I was really impressed with his customer service, response time, patience to really take time to explain everything and answered my questions. I had a real comfort level with my experience with him throughout the early process and decided to go with him for the actual mortgage. He went above and beyond. I’m very, very grateful for his professionalism and his response.

Anytime I emailed, I got responses back right away. So I think every form of communication throughout the process was smooth and very, very effective and responsive. I filled out an online application. What I initially wanted was to get prequalified or preapproved so I got a preapproval letter from them. And then once we started narrowing down our search and locked in the property that we were interested in, they already had most of my information to get it appraised. I had to provide them with some pay stubs and some different bank account information and just some validations for the information that I put on that initial application.

It was an easy and straightforward process. I was very impressed and pleased because it was 20 years since I purchase my last home so a lot of things have changed with the process and the tools. It was much easier than the last time that I remember. We end up closing sooner than the target date. The HomeDirect team was very prompt. I had all my information, responded to the appraiser and got the information in quickly. Everybody seemed to be on their game and kept things going. I can’t say enough good things about the team at HomeDirect that worked with me throughout the process.

Plus the rate that Josh told me upfront was what I got. So I got locked in where there was no surprises. And the amount that I needed to close came in less than what he forecasted or budgeted early in the process and was very competitive for my credit score so that was a pleasant surprise. I had significantly less money that I needed cash to close which freed up some money for us to get some different furniture and things we needed for the move so it worked out great. We’re in the new house now and we absolutely love it. It’s quite a step up for us. And we’re just very, very happy. I would absolutely recommend them and share our positive experiences.

Original review: March 22, 2018

The owner of the house that I've been living in for three years now decided that she wanted to sell it. I didn't want to move, so I started looking around for mortgage companies that could handle a VA loan, and I came upon HomeDirect. There were a lot of steps in their application. I had to get an approval from the VA, as well as all the documents and inspections that the VA required. The banker was very helpful, and that was useful. He said he had been through thousands of these before, and that’s good, so I relied on his experience. He was very professional and I was comfortable working with him. If I have a question, I'd email him and he would get back the same day or the next day. Occasionally we'd talk over the phone, but we mostly interacted online.

The whole process took a month. We had a few glitches in terms of getting data back and forth, but that got worked out okay. Mortgage rates hit bottom late last year, and when this deal was going through, unfortunately, they increased a little bit. I just got in the mail today an invoice and the instructions and on how to send my first payment, and it's simple. However, I'm concerned about setting up an auto-pay from my regular bank account. I'm not sure how to do that yet. Overall, my experience with HomeDirect has gone well. If you're in a similar situation and needed a mortgage, I would recommend them.

HomeDirect Mortgage expert review by Michele Lerner

This direct lender is a division of Bank of Oklahoma Financial. It uses the latest technology like an online automated application system to help clients get the money and information they need as efficiently as possible.

• Online application: The online application makes applying for a mortgage easy. With a bit of information, you can submit an application, and a loan officer will contact you directly.

• Mortgage calculators: There are several online calculators free to use. If you have questions about your principle, taxes, APR, refinancing and more, these calculators can help.

• VA loans: This company helps veterans apply for VA loans with specialists trained to make sure you get the service you need.

• Mortgage basics resources: You can access numerous resources that include breakdowns of mortgage terms and costs as well as some FAQs on the website.

• Part of BOKF: This lender subsidiary of the Bank of Oklahoma Financial. This means that they are backed by a multibillion dollar financial company, ensuring your finances are in capable hands.

• Best for: first time homebuyers, people looking for mortgage help and veterans in need of VA loans.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

HomeDirect Mortgage Company Information