Call toll free
4.80/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

HomeDirect Mortgage is an online only ‘direct’ lender that specializes in obtaining home loans at great rates for our clients. Our automated online application process will save you time and money. HomeDirect has experienced mortgage bankers to help guide you every step of the mortgage process. Contact us today to learn more about HomeDirect Mortgage.

HomeDirect Mortgage, a division of BOKF, NA. Member FDIC. Equal Housing Lender.

HomeDirect Mortgage Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1112 HomeDirect Mortgage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

We were originally getting a home loan with USAA. We were approved but the process changed. The woman there wasn’t any help and she was just trying to get rid of us. One of the guys that I worked with referred me to HomeDirect Mortgage and it worked out great. I liked how fast they let me in. We got the VA loan with them. Our interest rate was great. It was very fair and I was totally happy with it. The whole process, including that of USAA, took a couple of months. HomeDirect’s side was phenomenal during the process, though. I couldn’t thank their rep enough as she did such a great job. And their guy Barry would call me right away to let me know exactly what I needed. The sooner I got it, the better.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

After evaluating a couple of mortgage companies, I decided to go with David from HomeDirect Mortgage. I was convinced by the offer he made. It was good working with him and I was comfortable with him. The loan process was smooth. David explained to me everything that was possible. I had many inquiries, but he was very patient. Every document that was shared for the signature, he tried to explain what were the clarifications that I may have. Since this was my first time, he made sure that I understood what we were doing. Then on every document that had been signed out, he’d make sure that he sends a mail before and after. He'd also ask if I had done everything. He would even send a reminder if I delayed anything.

I had a log-in where I can go and monitor what was happening. During the employee verification process, we had to go back and forth a couple of times. It took quite some time to get in touch, but he made sure that he facilitated talking to the right person. The rate was pretty decent. There were some mortgage lenders that provided us less, but that was based on the cost where you put down more discount points. That seems to be the usual thing that they do. The 4.6 seems to be an ideal rate comparing zero discount points and other factors. I’ve been hearing from people about their experiences with mortgage and based on that, what I experienced was far better. I highly recommend HomeDirect.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I was buying a new home. HomeDirect had competitive interest rates and they were down there, probably on the top five. Their process was very easy and smooth too. Dan helped me out. He was very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful any time I needed him. He was very responsive and proactive during the whole process. He explained the whole process and the little details. He went above and beyond. Things were made a little bit easier since he knew what he was doing. But the online application process was a little redundant. I would fill in stuff online then I'd have to give the same information back to Dan or he would ask for the exact same information I'd filled in.

Also, further in the application or approval process, I had to provide the exact same information that I gave them. Maybe there were some people that weren’t sharing documentation and I had to fill out the same documents three or four times. It wasn’t a big hassle, though. I just sent them in the document I already filled in that I kept. Once we got the closing letter and they started the underwriting, it took a couple of weeks. People should check HomeDirect out and give them a try.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

My wife and I had been together for 12 years and we were in an apartment. At this particular point in time, I’ve watched Staten Island home values go up. I was either gonna be priced out or just gonna watch them keep going up and up. So, I decided to use the VA loan and give it a go. We found a house that we absolutely loved. I had three lenders that I put out there and HomeDirect came in with the least interest rate and the better deal, incentive-wise. The other company was really close, but ultimately, I went with whatever bottom-line was the best.

I worked with Ryan, and he was definitely receptive and responsive. Buying a home in New York State is no easy task, no matter who the insurance or mortgage broker is, but Ryan made it significantly easier. He was great. The whole process was a month and a half. The underwriting process took three weeks. And from the time we closed, it was three weeks to a month. I was satisfied with HomeDirect and would recommend them. I would reach out to the same mortgage broker again.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I was buying a new home and moving to Texas. HomeDirect was one of the most recommended lending providers. But, one of the biggest issues we had was going back and forth with the correct street name of how it was spelled. Google Maps says one thing and the city says another thing. But the whole process took about 45 days and that was reasonable. I had asked for a little bit longer closing time, so it worked out well and it was the most incredible experience I had. This is the second home I purchased, and I chatted the specifics with my lender, and he did absolutely incredible. He went above and beyond to keep me in the loop on things and to expedite the process. I am so grateful to have met him.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeDirect Mortgage?

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

My sister previously used HomeDirect and she referred them to me. I had a very positive experience with their application process and I liked the person I was dealing with. He was very responsive at getting back to me when I had questions. Also, HomeDirect's rate was competitive with other rates because I shopped around and clearly, the rates are going up industry-wide which is not a cost to make anyone happy. I would recommend them to others.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

We were purchasing a new home and HomeDirect Mortgage has the lowest rates that we were referred to on a website that was comparing different rates. The application process was straightforward and the person I worked with was very responsive in getting us answers over the weekend when needed, and usually had a quick turnaround. We're happy with the rate and terms that we got. With the volatility at that time, some things have gone up and down sometimes, but it was good.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I was trying to settle my finances so that we would be able to purchase another home, so I applied for a refi with HomeDirect. I liked their pricing, as far as their lender’s fees, and the lending agent that I used. The customer service rep, Dave, did a wonderful job and I was impressed with his knowledge and his follow-up. The process of obtaining the refi was relatively painless and took 30 days. I gathered up the required documentation and sent it in as requested by the loan originator, then I worked with him to get whatever we needed. The online application process, though, was a little clunky and some things weren’t fully intuitive, but we worked through them. Everyone wanted to pull my credit, though, before they were gonna tell me what they were gonna offer to me, but they were fair and the rates and terms of the refi that I received were very good. Working with HomeDirect has enabled us to purchase another home through VA.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I was buying a house. HomeDirect offered me the best rate for a mortgage. My experience with them went great and I liked everything about it. They were easy to work with, friendly and they don’t sell my mortgage to anybody else.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

The application process with HomeDirect Mortgage was quick and a lot easier than the couple of other mortgages we have done in the past. I was able to get it fast-tracked and we were able to close in about two weeks which was nice. We worked with Stephen. He got back to me real quick and followed through with what he said he was gonna do. So I appreciated that. I would’ve liked to get a better rate but they beat whatever else I could find so it’s worked out.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

My experience with HomeDirect went well. I went with them because the other provider I had didn’t offer me a good APR. As far as communication and paperwork, everything was pretty smooth with HomeDirect. They got everything ready for the final closing. The process didn’t take long too. Once I found a house, the paperwork came through in about a few weeks. The rate and the terms were good as well.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

We were applying for a mortgage for a new-build house and it was the best time to apply for a mortgage, just before the rates started going up. I contacted a dozen or so lenders and the people that I talked to at HomeDirect Mortgage seemed to be most knowledgeable on the questions that I had and they were able to help me a lot. My experience with HomeDirect has been fine. The online application process was straightforward and any questions I had were dealt with. Overall, the lending process went smoothly. The customer service rep who helped me throughout the process was really good about being there when I had questions. In fact, he gave me his home phone number so I could reach him when he was out of the office. I could text or call him any time that I needed to and that was awesome.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I’ve gone through the loan process many times and the online application process with HomeDirect was easy. That took no time at all. But the application and underwriting process took about 40 days and they were the most difficult underwriter I’ve ever dealt with. I get that underwriters want every piece of information regarding your life that they possibly can get. But they wanted an explanation for this and that. And then we would be over 20 days and they would want an updated bank statement, which would then have more stuff in it. I own and manage rental properties. Not only that but I’m also in the army. Plus I work a job and I’m a personal trainer. So I get paid for that. I also have investments that I receive money from. So my money goes in and out of my bank account like liquid fire. The underwriter wanted to know what in the heck was going on with my bank account so I had to write letters as explanation for all kinds of madness.

This is one of the examples. I bought a house and since my brother and I have a joint investment account and he’s the primary, he had to technically send the money to my account so that I could purchase the property. He sent me the exact amount, down to the penny, and then I sent the underwriter my final disclosure showing how much I paid down to the exact penny. The underwriter already had my county records. They had my lease agreement for the property because it’s rented. They’ve got my W2 statements showing that I’ve been claiming that property. But I had to wait an extra four days because at 4 o’clock on a Friday afternoon, they wanted signed copies of a document that I already given them. And it was holding up my closing.

That was the reason I had to do a 45-day rate lock. I knew that with my financial situation, it was gonna be difficult. So if I had done a standard 30 days, I would’ve been screwed. And half of it wasn’t even my fault. I told Ryan that if I wasn’t on a time crunch, I would’ve dropped HomeDirect flat on their face. But Ryan was what kept me sane. He was the one who was very patient. He agreed with me that it was unreasonable but he was an excellent mediator.

The underwriter made it hard for him too and I have no idea how many hours he worked on my loan alone. He would call me at 7 o’clock in the evening sometimes saying he sent me an email. He would ask if I could do it for him and he would get it done that day. Even for him, my case was not easy. It was difficult for me and it was difficult for him. But it was the underwriter that was the problem. I already recommended Ryan and HomeDirect to my mom who is currently in process of refinancing their home now.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Kerry from HomeDirect was absolutely fantastic. He followed up on everything. If we called and had a question, he was right there. We could always get a hold of him. It wasn’t wait on hold for 30 minutes or voicemail, he’d call us back. There was too much paperwork though but their rates were fine. They were not that much lower or higher. They were in the middle of everything. And it was the service that we got that we appreciated.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

HomeDirect was one of the lenders that responded to us and their quote was a lot better than a lot of other places we considered. The application process was very straightforward and simple to do. We logged into their online program, entered our information and uploaded documents. The only hiccup was on my end, with my work, was getting verification to them. But other than that, everything went smoothly. I felt very comfortable working with Matt and his assistant, Steven, and the amount of follow-up with phone calls and emails to get everything done in a timely manner was impressive. Also, everyone, including the closing attorney, was impressed with the rate that we got. So, I was very happy how it worked out.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I was looking to buy a house. I started my mortgage process with a different bank and they set up the approval letter to a set amount. But the HomeDirect rep didn’t restrict my search to that amount. He told me to find a house that I’d like and they would work the numbers later, which was great for me. Their application process was fast and easy and their rate was low. Everything worked smoothly.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

We were buying a vacation home and I turned to HomeDirect for a mortgage as some references at work had good response with working with the company. I filled stuff out online for the application and then I worked with an agent to provide any additional information. That went pretty smoothly, and as a whole, the process was expeditious. I got a rate that is competitive and better in many cases. Also, HomeDirects' reps were outstanding. They were very responsive. Any time that I needed to get a hold of them, they were always quick to respond.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I was purchasing a home and I needed a mortgage. I compared interest rates and closing fees and HomeDirect Mortgage had better rates and fees. Their application process was simple. The initial process was all done online and then I had further contact through their representative named Jordan. He was great, straight to the point and very thorough. We worked very well together. The rate I got was perfect and wasn't inflated. I never needed to buy any points to get a good rate. I've already recommended HomeDirect.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

HomeDirect Mortgage's rates were competitive but the application process was lengthy. There was always one more of this or that. They would ask us to do something or they would need something from us. And I lost my rate lock. That was just pure greed. There’s no reason why somebody can’t extend something for another day. I told Steve that pulling stuff like that is bad for future business. When I went to show up at closing, nobody had told me about it and they charged me $393.

There was one thing about it too. The assistant, Terri, for some reason, thought I wanted my earnest money back at closing. I spent half the day trying to get what she needed and then it turned out that they didn’t need it. She said that she figured I was not wanting my money back. She was frustrated with me and I was frustrated her. On the other hand, Steve was the main guy and he seemed to be on it from the start and he did a fine job. It was late Saturday night that I needed a pre-approval letter from him and he did it. That was good.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I was getting a new home and the rate that HomeDirect Mortgage gave me was better than others so I decided to go with them. I filled out a minimal amount of paperwork and the application and underwriting process took three weeks. I worked with David. We had a lot of texting, emailing and phone calls, and he was able to get back to me in an hour or half a day at the most for any questions I had. He was very responsive, very available, very detailed and quick to help. His customer service was great.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

HomeDirect came to me and the rates were not too bad. However, I didn’t like the processing. I had to get too involved, especially with the title company. I also had to do more legwork.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Get hold of HomeDirect Mortgage. My wife found them on the internet and they had excellent ratings for dependability and honesty. I applied for a mortgage to buy a new house and my personal experience with them exceeded the ratings. They have a very easy loan application compared to conventional banks. David, our loan officer worked exceptionally hard for us. He went above and beyond my wildest expectations on any loan officer that I would have ever had. Like when the stock market went crazy and then interest rates were going up. Our lending officer called and told us that we should lock our rate in, in case it would continue to climb, which was good advice. Also, the lending process took 35 days from start to finish and that was magnificent because we bought homes before through conventional banking and sometimes, you’re looking at four months because they just go on and on and on.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

After speaking with Steve and knowing about the programs that he was able to offer, I applied for a new home mortgage from HomeDirect. He followed up and explained things to me very well. I was very comfortable working with him. The online application process with HomeDirect was fine and there wasn't any issue. The process took about 28 days and the final approval didn't happen until two days before our closing. The rate and terms of the mortgage were good too.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I was interested in buying our first home and I decided to apply for a VA loan with HomeDirect Mortgage. They were extremely straightforward and didn't try to take advantage of me. Their rep, John, was honest, answered any questions I had and didn't waste my time. He took the time to explain things to me or find any answers, and if he didn't have them right away, he called me back as soon as possible. Securing the mortgage was a little difficult but the HomeDirect guys helped me with it. The application and underwriting process was quick, about less than a couple of weeks, and the rates were awesome compared to everybody else. I'm very satisfied with HomeDirect and I'd tell friends to go with them.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I took a VA loan from HomeDirect Mortgage. I wanted to move and they came recommended from a friend at work. I was working with a mortgage broker and did not care if it was HomeDirect. I gave my business to him and I trusted his judgment. He was very knowledgeable and thorough. He was two steps ahead of my thought processes and answered questions before I had them. I filled out the things that he sent me and had very little contact with HomeDirect. The process took four weeks, which wasn't long. HomeDirect's rates were more competitive and I have no reason to doubt that my mortgage broker got the best rate that he could for me.

However, I would do without the repeated calls for follow up, which is out of the ordinary for the many other home buying experiences that I've had. Also, my information might have been shared with any number of different entities and that is something I definitely don't appreciate. I know you have to agree to that to qualify for lending, but I've bought many houses and this is the most that my information has been shared. Despite those things, the experience was very good and I would recommend my home broker.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I wanted to do a refi and since I had used HomeDirect Mortgage once before, had a good experience and was really satisfied, I went with them again. The application was simplified. I contacted Jim and I like his knowledge of the refinance and mortgage business. He was very thorough and courteous. We developed a really good communication right off the bat. He was also quick on getting back to me whenever I had questions. He walked me through the process and said that a lot of it was gonna be done online, which was really nice. I was able to electronically sign a lot of the documents. It was a smooth and quick process. It only took about three to four weeks. The rate and terms were also good. I would totally recommend HomeDirect Mortgage for anybody looking to do any type of home refi or mortgages. It was definitely a professional experience.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I was buying a house and I was shopping around for a mortgage company. When you look online and call different numbers, people will give you their feedback and their interest rates. HomeDirect Mortgage was the one that stood out for me. Then when my lender was talking to me, he understood where I was coming from and he worked with me from the get-go. Mr. ** understood his process so well and he was answering pretty much all of my questions. If he didn't know the right answer to the question I asked him, he would get back to me right away.

He also worked with me consistently. I was shopping around so I would ask him for a pre-approval and he would tell me to give him a couple of minutes then I would see one come in the mail. I would go ahead with it and whenever I don’t like the house, I would talk to him again. If there’s an increment in the price, I would ask him if he thought I could get confirmed for it and he would go in, look around and send me an email right away. He kept in touch and I never had to find out from him. He would give me the information beforehand.

The home I was getting was a foreclosure home so I went back and forth a little bit, which was understandable. Still, the foreclosure home took way less than they expected and I was impressed with how fast it all went. This was not my first house and with Mr. **, stuff was smoother than I had expected. Before, when I would go buy a house, I would talk to this person and it would be like begging. In contrast, Mr. ** made my life easier. He was the best person. The application and underwriting process was smooth. That’s why I would recommend him any day and any time. In fact, I’ve recommended him to five people and they’re working together right now. One person’s even about to close now so he’s doing something good.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

My realtor and I are pretty close and I trust his judgment. He has used HomeDirect Mortgage before for some of his other clients. I like that my HomeDirect agent kept in contact with me. He was great. The process took a month, which seemed quick. It could have been faster though. There were a couple of things at the end that should have been done at the beginning. The processor was having trouble verifying employment and should have asked for help a little earlier than when she did. Other than that, the rest of the experience was great.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I was buying a new home and I got a standard, traditional loan from HomeDirect Mortgage. I called in and their rep had prequalified me. He also helped me with gathering all of the documentation, which was interesting because I was in the middle of the move already and I was in another state. I was in Oklahoma and my other home is in Louisiana. Then my checking account is through a credit union in Seattle and my home equity line of credit is through a bank in New Orleans. So, the rep was not only amazing but he was a great partner with great communication. All in all, the application process took 20 minutes on the phone.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I was building a new home and turned to HomeDirect for a mortgage seeing that they were easy to work with once I inquired and got started. There was open communication and they were really on top of things. I was always able to get a hold of them and they were very accommodating, friendly and professional. The whole process was completed in two weeks and I got a rate that was very comparable to that of other companies. Everything was really great.

HomeDirect Mortgage expert review by Michele Lerner

This direct lender is a division of Bank of Oklahoma Financial. It uses the latest technology like an online automated application system to help clients get the money and information they need as efficiently as possible.

• Online application: The online application makes applying for a mortgage easy. With a bit of information, you can submit an application, and a loan officer will contact you directly.

• Mortgage calculators: There are several online calculators free to use. If you have questions about your principle, taxes, APR, refinancing and more, these calculators can help.

• VA loans: This company helps veterans apply for VA loans with specialists trained to make sure you get the service you need.

• Mortgage basics resources: You can access numerous resources that include breakdowns of mortgage terms and costs as well as some FAQs on the website.

• Part of BOKF: This lender subsidiary of the Bank of Oklahoma Financial. This means that they are backed by a multibillion dollar financial company, ensuring your finances are in capable hands.

• Best for: first time homebuyers, people looking for mortgage help and veterans in need of VA loans.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

HomeDirect Mortgage Company Information