2. Mortgages

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.61/5

BOK Financial Mortgage, formerly HomeDirect Mortgage, is part of a multi-billion dollar financial services group offering online mortgage origination. Our automated online application takes the hassle out of applying for a mortgage and provides an experienced mortgage banker to guide you through the loan process. We offer Conventional, FHA, Jumbo, VA, Advanced Medical Professional mortgage loan options as well as refinance. Contact us today to learn more about BOK Financial Mortgage.

BOK Financial Mortgage, a division of BOKF, NA. Member FDIC, Equal Housing Lender.

BOK Financial Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BOK Financial Mortgage?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about BOK Financial Mortgage?

Original review: March 23, 2020

BOK Financial reached out to me to find out if I wanted to refinance because it was an opportunity to get rid of my PMI and lower my mortgage payment. Their rep, Michelle, was great. She was extremely helpful and responsive. She walked me through the process. I also had an issue with the notary. It was supposed to be a situation where they would come to my home but the person called me and spent a great deal of time talking to me about how allergic they are to pets, and I'd have to confine my dogs. Then he didn’t wanna come to my house because even the fact there had been dogs here would be a problem. I told him that it was his job to go to people's homes. It was getting dramatic.

We made arrangements to meet at a nearby Starbucks. The guy went to the wrong Starbucks and they got salty with me on the phone because he was in the wrong place. I provided them the feedback because, at that point, it was like a comic relief in that respect, but Michelle definitely took steps to make sure it was resolved. I wasn't looking for financial compensations but she said that it was just ridiculous and we couldn't have that. They refunded a portion of the cost.

There was a pretty significant difference between the initial conversations we had, the estimate of what the closing cost would be, and what they actually ended up being. It was something that really struck me when I got the final paperwork. But at that point, I was so far down the road and I still went forward with it. Michelle was able to explain to me why that was the case. She was willing to talk to me through the concerns I had.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I went through divorce, and so, I had to pay my ex off. And I have another house that has been completely paid for that I had to take the mortgage out on in order to do that. I also needed to pay off the loan. I was given really good rates on the mortgage that I had on the home with BOK and I was happy with them. Another thing I like about BOK is they don’t sell the loans.

I’ve got cash-out refi. I had the house completely paid for and then I took cash from it. The application process was painless and efficient. It took maybe a week or so. Jim has been the only lender I ever work ‘cause he’s very trustworthy. He was a straight shooter. So, if he can do something for you, he tells you. If he can’t, he’ll tell you that as well. And he doesn’t come up with hidden costs later down the road when you’re thinking, “Okay, this is what we got,” and then, the all bait-and-switch type of thing. I did work in the past with lenders that would tell you one thing and then on the midnight hour changed it or it had some hidden costs there. With Jim, everything’s straightforward and transparent, which is what I really like. And this isn’t the first transaction he’s done, not only for me. I’ve recommended him to family, friends and colleagues of how well he’s done.

Working with BOK impacted me in a very positive way because of the interest rates. Prior to years ago, when I first met Jim, I was with Wells Fargo looking to refinance and they couldn’t compete with the rates and the terms. So, I wanted to try BOK. I was a little nervous because they were out of state. But everything went very smoothly. I have a 15-year loan with them for a few years at 2.75 fixed rate. Now, unfortunately, it's a 4.5 at a 30-year ‘cause it’s not my primary residence that I pull it from.

Now that everything’s closed, Jim can get my primary residence down to 3.5. My ex didn’t allow that to happen, unfortunately. So, it wound up costing me more to get that down. That has no reflection on Jim. Jim told us what was the best thing to do and how to do it. I can just refinance. It’s just a difference between closing costs. I don’t know how the rates would change, if they’d change for the better or the worse, upfront, in a couple months’ time. But I am gonna be reaching out to Jim here shortly. And we’ve already discussed and he already knows that I’m coming to refi and put the loan back on my primary residence, not my investment home.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I called my current finance company to see if they were able to give me a more competitive rate. The loan officer that I worked with was real forward and told me that he couldn't. But he wasn't trying to keep me from getting a better rate, so he referred me to BOK Financial. I refinanced with BOK and the process was really simple. I did an application over the phone. The loan officer from my previous loan was friends with my loan officer from my current loan, so they worked together to get a lot of the information prior to even starting up the application. So, it was real seamless.

The BOK rep who I worked with was very intricate as far as telling me what I needed and straightforward in telling me what she could do. It was very interactive. We spoke mostly via email and she was quick on the response. I was quick on the response, so we were able to take care of things. She is a very personable and nice lady. I enjoyed working with her and happy that she could make things happen for me.

BOK was really on top of everything and I refinanced two homes, my primary home and a rental property. We moved quickly on the primary home and took less than a month. Because it was a VA loan refi, it wasn't much needed and it didn't need an appraisal or anything like that. But the rental property process was a little bit more extent and I just wished it could have gone by a little bit faster, but that wasn't on them. It was just the process and I got spoiled by the first process. The second home took close to 2 months and it was a little slower than what I expected but it finally happened. Still, I'm happy with that.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I had my loan through HomeDirect Mortgage before I did the refinance. I didn’t know the process would take long because this is the first refinance I’ve done, and it seems like forever. But they communicated what was going on every step. If I had any questions, they were really good at answering quickly. They communicate through email, which works for me. I like their eagerness. They were doing what they said they were gonna do or following through with any questions I had, and that made me feel really good.

I was pleased with the whole process. The only thing that was so weird was HomeDirect wanted me to pay off the company that I was paying off instead of just paying them. HomeDirect sent me a check to send to the company, and what a hassle that was. Why can't they just electronically fund them themselves? There were five or six checks and four of them went through right away, and then one of the companies, Service Financial, sold the loan to Capital One. I told HomeDirect, “They just sent me a thing saying that it’s not Service Financial anymore.” They told me that I needed to do this or that and still send it to them. Eventually, they sent it to Capital One and paid it. But with the HSBC one, I'm still having it worked out. HSBC said that it was sent to someone else and that they were made out to that company. But I had to mail it into the company with the monthly statements. So, I don’t know what to do with that.

I’ve emailed the lady I worked with through HomeDirect and she said, “That’s something that we can’t deal with. That has to be through them." They said it was the title company’s requirements. But it's just so weird. I have to send one check to a company I know doesn’t have the loan anymore. And then, I’m still waiting on one which they said went to someone else, and they sent it back to them. This happened a couple of weeks ago, and they emailed me and said, “We’ll mail it out to you Monday.” If don't have it, then I still can't send it to these people. It makes no sense in adding an extra step.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

HomeDirect Mortgage's online application was simple. I took a 15-year fixed loan and from start to finish, the application and underwriting process took about four weeks. It was mostly due to weekends and holidays, I was waiting for some paperwork to come through. There is a disconnect between customer service and the underwriting team. And one point, the closing agent they sent out sent a check to us with instructions to send it back to the company.

When we did, they returned the check and said they couldn't accept a check that large, even though it was written by their own closing agent. Then, they applied an overdraft fee, which they said they could waive as a courtesy, but that took care of my one-year courtesy adjustment. I didn't wanna do that and it wasn’t my fault. They could see that a new mortgage was started with the same company but they said that that was a problem of underwriting and not their cost center. They didn't do anything about it, which was frustrating since I’ve done about a million and a half dollars in the last two or three years with them. If it’s in-house, take care of it with the customer, then figure it out in-house afterward.

When I have questions, my loan originator and his underwriter assistant person respond within the same day or, if it was late in the evening, first thing in the morning the next day with answers and an action plan. By working with HomeDirect Mortgage, I got a better rate, lower term, my mortgage only went up a little bit for the rate, and I dropped 13 years off of it.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

BOK Financial Mortgage and BOK Financial customer service is horrible! Talking to cust. srv ALWAYS requires a minimum of 30 minutes on hold. I requested a payoff statement for a refi. They *only* snail-mail them, and it took more than 3 weeks, holding up my refi. Of course, they have a recorded statement all days and times, "we are experiencing higher than normal call volumes, we apologize for the wait." Nonsense! Call volumes are what they are. If you call to apply for a new loan, there is no wait time, but once you are their customer they simply don't care. AVOID BOK Financial at all costs!

Original review: April 1, 2020

We refinanced the mortgage that we had with them. The process was fairly automated. The website is very nice where I could upload the documents and respond to the questions. The representative from the specific bank was very helpful. He was very responsive. I would get a response to my email within just a couple of hours. It was a pretty straightforward process. It took about a month from the time that it was locked in to the time that I finally signed all the papers. Overall, I like the ease of getting ahold of these people and having them respond back. Everything went really smoothly.

Original review: March 28, 2020

We took a VA loan from BOK Financial. We were buying a house and we already had them before. Getting the mortgage was pretty simple. I was comfortable with their rep. They told me what documents they needed. Application took 30 minutes, and anytime they needed anything or any updates, they called me and let me know. I got a good rate, too.

Original review: March 27, 2020

I wasn’t having any luck at my credit union. Somebody told me to try a bank and that Bank of Oklahoma was a good place to do that. I applied online and then somebody contacted me. She did my application and got me approved for it. She was in Kansas where she made it kinda difficult. But she was always available and we just did everything over the phone and on email. The process went real well. The only thing that I didn’t like was a lady that was helping me with all this said it was the FDA that required so much information. But other than that, it was fine to me. My interest rate is really good.

Original review: March 22, 2020

I had a refi with BOK. The overall experience with them was good. Their rate is lower than the big banks and they can match the bigger banks’ offer. The process took around 21 days from the time I contacted their rep to closing. The website was really good. When the rep updated, I got an email saying something’s updated so I don't have to call him to see the status.

BOK Financial Mortgage author review by Michele Lerner

This direct lender is a division of Bank of Oklahoma Financial. It uses the latest technology like an online automated application system to help clients get the money and information they need as efficiently as possible.

• Online application: The online application makes applying for a mortgage easy. With a bit of information, you can submit an application, and a loan officer will contact you directly.

• Mortgage calculators: There are several online calculators free to use. If you have questions about your principle, taxes, APR, refinancing and more, these calculators can help.

• VA loans: This company helps veterans apply for VA loans with specialists trained to make sure you get the service you need.

• Mortgage basics resources: You can access numerous resources that include breakdowns of mortgage terms and costs as well as some FAQs on the website.

• Part of BOKF: This lender subsidiary of the Bank of Oklahoma Financial. This means that they are backed by a multibillion dollar financial company, ensuring your finances are in capable hands.

by Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

BOK Financial Mortgage Company Information