4.75/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

HomeDirect Mortgage is an online only ‘direct’ lender that specializes in obtaining home loans at great rates for our clients. Our automated online application process will save you time and money. HomeDirect has experienced mortgage bankers to help guide you every step of the mortgage process. Contact us today to learn more about HomeDirect Mortgage.

HomeDirect Mortgage, a division of BOKF, NA. Member FDIC. Equal Housing Lender.

HomeDirect Mortgage Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1520 HomeDirect Mortgage Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: April 21, 2019

I got a VA loan from HomeDirect Mortgage. It was my first time ever buying a house and their steps in getting a loan were pretty straightforward. It was easier and less daunting than I thought it was gonna be. Their online application process was convenient, easy to use, and easy to follow. The application and underwriting process took two months, but I know it because my house was new construction. I had planned to wait until the house close (GRAM - CLOSED). I was happy with the process and it was very good.

The agent who I worked with was Tim. He was able to explain all of the steps and he explained the math behind the numbers. I appreciated that he kind of dumbed it down when I needed to. He explained it very clearly in a way that I could understand, and he's made me feel good about it. He seemed like a very intelligent individual who wasn’t trying to take advantage of me in any way. He truly made it seem like he was on my side, so I felt comfortable. He was also very responsive. I could get hold of him either through email, text, or phone call, and he never took more than a day to get back to me.

Home-buying is a very stressful process, but working with HomeDirect Mortgage made it easier and relieve (GRAM - RELIEVED) some stress. I had a very positive experience and I'm happy with them. I couldn’t be happier with my service or the rates that I got. I felt confident that I was getting the best rate available. I would highly recommend my friends to use HomeDirect Mortgage.

NIII:
A friend recommended HomeDirect Mortgage to me.
I was working with the real estate agent who found the house and HomeDirect was a mortgage firm that my real estate agent had an experience with. I called around to several lending companies and HomeDirect was one of the big-name ones. I ended up comparing all their notes and the personalities of the lenders, and I ended up using HomeDirect based on that.
It was all positive dealing with the reps.
The lending process was very good [and really smooth], and I was happy with it.
His expertise and quality of service were phenomenal, and I was very happy. I would recommend him to anybody else, as I already have to my son.

---

REMOD:

I was doing an upgrade appointment for a house and that prompted me to apply for a mortgage. A friend recommended HomeDirect Mortgage to me. Also, I was working with the real estate agent who found the house and HomeDirect was a mortgage firm that my real estate agent had an experience with. I called around to several lending companies and HomeDirect was one of the big-name ones. I ended up comparing all the notes and the personalities of the lenders, and I ended up using HomeDirect based on that. I got a VA loan from them.

The steps in securing a loan from them were straightforward. It was easier and less daunting than I thought it was gonna be. The online application process was convenient and easy to use and follow. The lending process was very good and really smooth. It took two months, but that was because my house was a new construction and I had planned to wait until the house closed.

It was all positive dealing with the customer service representatives. Tim, the rep that I worked with, was able to explain all of the steps, the reason behind all of them, and the math behind the numbers. It was a complicated process. I appreciated that he dumbed it down when I needed that, and he explained it very clearly in a way that I could understand. He has made me feel good about it. I felt confident and comfortable working with him. He seemed like a very intelligent individual who wasn’t trying to take advantage of me in any way and he truly made it seem like he was on my side. He was also very responsive. It was great that I could get hold of him either through email, text, or phone call. He never took more than a day to get back to me so that was very good. His expertise and quality of service were phenomenal and I would recommend him to anybody else, as I already have to my son.

Home-buying is a very stressful process, but HomeDirect made it easier and relieved some of that stress. I'm happy with the rates and the terms of the mortgage that I received. I felt confident that I was getting the best rate available. It wasn’t the best timing as mortgage rates have been lower, but I felt like I did the best that I could. I couldn’t be happier with my mortgage and the service. I had a very positive experience with HomeDirect and I would highly recommend them.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Our Realtor put us in contact with Ronald of HomeDirect and kinda went through it that way. We considered other lenders but he was quicker to get what we wanted and he was able to provide us the best rate upfront. Ronald was very easy to get in touch with. If we couldn't get him to answer right then, he usually called back pretty soon afterward.

This is our first time buying a house so the entire thing was a trial by fire, and every step through it was marred with some sort of ridiculous bureaucracy that I’m not used to 'cause I'm in the army. There was quite a bit of paperwork I needed to fill out. I bought plenty of things before and buying a house was probably could have been the most absolutely painful thing in the world for us. For somebody to sit there and tell me exactly how much my mortgage is gonna be for a month was just absolutely ridiculous. But our Realtors and Ronald were really good. They made it as painless as possible although there was still a lot of red tape to go through no matter how easy they tried to make it. It wasn't anything on our part or on their part, it was just the process itself. It was going through the motions.

I'd like to sit and write it out in person and I'm not a fan of doing things online. However, due to the distance, it wasn't feasible. We bought a house in Georgia while I was living in Louisiana, and our mortgage is out of Oklahoma where a VA coming from Washington, DC. So, the online was literally the only way to do it other than mailing the document or we wouldn't have gotten the process done in 35 days.

I would have liked to have seen a list of, "This is how it works.” Show me the brass tacks, almost like a flowchart, instead of showing me the closing documentation which everything is categorized by number and then explaining to me by number what each piece of it is and where each individual or fee went to. It seemed like every time I turned around, there was some sort of fee that--not necessarily we always had to pay. Sometimes, the seller had to pay it or pulled out of the good interest money.

They could just give me a piece of paper or two, tell me everybody that's involved, and where they're coming out of, because there were a couple of times where I saw there was a charge coming out of some other location, and that was some obscure fee that we had to go through this guy to get that kind of deal. A lot of that would probably have been easier had we all been able to sit down in one location and go over everything.

There were some errors the day before closing that we picked up out of the CDO, that had we all been able to just sit down and talk about it, we would have seen it. It was later explained to us it wasn't an error, but there was some miscommunication. It had us down for an interest rate of 4.75% and when we explained that we were gonna buy down to 4, which was the lowest we could buy down to, they said okay and that would be the rate we'd get on our closing document. The day before closing comes around, they said no and that needed to reflect what we were gonna buy it down to. Our Realtor called Ronald and they had a conversation. Towards the end, communication needs to be more, rather than less, as opposed to any other point in the process.

All of this was kinda new to me. It took me a while to wrap my head around that my interest rate was something that was locked in at that time whatever the market would say it would be, but I could only buy it down so much. I find that kind of ridiculous and that to me doesn't make any sense. That was never really explained to me why I couldn't do that. I had to go do my own research, which a lot of this was me doing my own research. They should be upfront and maybe have a brief explanation as to why I couldn't buy down past 4. But it was more of a pleasant experience than it could have been. The lender was very professional and really helped us through the process. All the comments I just made aside, they did actually a really good job, and we appreciate it.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I like the fact that HomeDirect doesn't sell the mortgage and that is one key factor why I went with it after my research. I spent 30 plus years with my company before I retired, and I had a mortgage with my company moving every three years. I also had my mortgage with my company’s credit union and they sold the mortgage, and it really pissed me off. Also, HomeDirect was expedient in their response. They did a good job with the online application process and I was really most impressed with. The person that got back to me, Dan, was more professional and actually followed up with a phone call, which personalized the service, which I liked. I looked up his credentials online and in doing that, I wanted to make sure that before I gave all my personal information, that I wasn’t gonna be scammed. So, I was giving questions through the process to make sure that I was not being scammed.

He filled everything out. All I had to do was review and sign off on it. There were only a few minor mistakes and I could just go back and tell him that he needed to do this on the review process, and he would correct it and send it back. And then, I would review it and electronically sign it. There were three pieces of paperwork that were not in the electronic paperwork and at that point, I sold my house in Houston and I was in a build. I didn’t have my home office and so I couldn't fax, print out, or easily sign and get the stuff back to him. I would have preferred everything electronically where I could’ve reviewed it. Also, we had to do all of the stuff twice and that was a little burdensome. I didn’t know why it had to be like that.

The process started right around June and it didn’t finalize ‘til December because it was a new home build. With a new home build, there are a lot of steps that go through it that needed to be done. And so, the communication loop between Dan, the builder, and the sales agent were dropped quite a few times, and I had to run around and manage that, and I didn’t like that. If I didn't do that and become more of a mini project manager and run around and get things done and make sure that everybody was in contact, then it would delay the closing even further than it was delayed.

The closing became delayed because the assessor didn't call out the appraiser. Once the assessor called up the appraiser, he didn't get back to us that there were problems with the appraiser. It was a minor thing that could have been handled right at the home site and buttoned up. Also, we didn’t know there was a 72-hour wait time before the closing and that wasn’t communicated back. That was all done on a Friday and so that clock didn’t start ‘til Monday morning. The appraiser came back the second time on a Friday afternoon, turned around and came back and redid it. That could have happened two weeks prior and we could have made the original closing date. HomeBridge just needed to be able to wrap up all the communication ‘cause it was dropped and the personal touch was not quite there.

In hindsight, if I would have done this loan differently, I would have gone to a local place and worked with a bank just because I would have had a person. But I got along with Dan really well. If he would have been here, I would have worked with him. I’m not complaining about them, it’s just that there were a lot of little things that couldn't be done over the internet. You have to be able to go in and develop that relationship and go in and take care of things, and sometimes, this is one of them. When you’re running into a wall, you just have to be able to get in the car and take care of it. However, the rate and terms I got were pretty good. I was waiting and waiting, and then interest rates were going up, so I went ahead and locked in. Then Dan got me a little bit of a lower percentage. I’m a veteran, so I went through the VA and that part was good.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I was looking on Zillow and it asked, "Are you a veteran?" I clicked "Yes" and Mark from HomeDirect reached out to me based on that inquiry. Mark was very open, he answered a lot of my questions and he seemed very knowledgeable. Being that I am a first-time homeowner, he was very patient. I stuck with him because I felt comfortable.

I initially spoke with Mark about what I was looking for and he asked me a couple of preliminary questions about income. When I was settled on what kind of home I was looking for and that I knew I was ready to start the process, he sent me the application through email and everything came back pretty quickly. Anything that he needed after that, he requested and we worked very well in getting him additional information.

HomeDirect was very easy to work with in the sense of my income because all I really had was my disability benefit. But they never made it seem like I didn't make enough. I worked on my credit score a little bit before I went through with the loan. I waited about a month or two from the initial contact with Mark. He continued to keep in touch with me, he knew my plans, and he offered to give me tips on things that I could do to increase my credit before I filed the initial application.

From there, I followed their lead on extra paperwork. My broker said they were gonna need a bunch of paperwork so when I told Mark that I wanted to be proactive and asked him to give me a list of everything I needed to compile to make sure he had everything, he gave me that list ahead of time. He was able to answer future questions that we had to understand. He said, "It's not set in stone, but this is what will determine your interest rate. This is the type of plans we have. This is what you could be looking, I'm putting down."

When we had one deal fall through, it was really great that Mark was really encouraging during that time. He told me that these things happen and not to worry about it. I told Mark that I needed some time because I was really discouraged and he told me to take my time and to get myself together. They'd be ready when I'd be ready to get back on the ball. And they absolutely were. When I had questions about how the interest rate worked, Mark he told me that from day to day, it could fluctuate. They could lock it in for this amount of time and there was an extra fee to lock it in for extra days. He explained that to me. All in all, it worked fine.

Once it started getting closer to the closing and the underwriting part of it, Tony came in. He asked more questions and he helped me take care of that part. He was Mark's assistant and he dealt specifically with the underwriting portion. From beginning to end, when I initially started looking without having the application process, it only took me six months all in all. From what I heard in some horror stories, it was pretty doggone good.

The only thing that was offputting was when I began to sign papers, it was with Bank of Oklahoma. I was a little bit thrown off by that. If you take the time to read the paperwork, that's just the bank who finances HomeDirect. Sometimes, you have one company dealing with you and then they sell your businesses to another company and you don't know that.

Soon after closing, someone from the Finance Department reached out through email, gave me an online account number and walked me through that. It was upfront, mentioned about the monthly payment, and how much interest was gonna be added with the penalties. I really love that there was no penalty to pay it off early. When I purchased my car, I was not even aware that I could get penalized for paying it off early. With HomeDirect, I found out that there was no such penalty. They gave me an amortization table so I knew exactly how my payments would break down for the next 30 years. They were very efficient. I was just able to e-sign things. With the whole system that they had, I got an alert when each step was completed.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

We lived in Florida and right now, they're getting hammered with a horrible, horrible, hurricane. They're getting devastated. We suffered too two hurricanes there and that was a factor why we decided to move. We have a son who lives here in Las Vegas and we have two daughters who live in California. They couldn't be happier that we moved to Las Vegas because this is our favorite place to come. So, we're closer to our family. When you get older, that's very important and that was the tipping point. Even though we had family on the East Coast, moving to Las Vegas was an easy decision for us.

When the representative for the Realtor supported the financial arrangement that had been proposed, I was under the impression that we were not locked into the rate because nobody ever told me about a lock-in on the rate. I let it drift to the last couple of weeks. So within a week, we decided that we were gonna switch because I talked to the financial guy and he said, "No, there's nothing else I can do." At that point, we were threatened that we were in breach of contract and that we could be sued.

There were all kinds of sabers being rattled at us, but for us, it was a matter of principle. In my opinion, we're being ripped off and steered toward a financial arrangement that was definitely not to our benefit. We reached out to a number of other financial institutions and it was unanimous, absolutely nobody agreed with the situation that we were in. They thought it was appalling that we would end up in that sort of a trap at the end, and being threatened. Interestingly enough, that came from our real estate agent who's representing us.

HomeDirect was the one that saved our butts. I'm a vet and when I talked to their reps, they said, "You need to do a VA loan. You'd be foolish not to do a VA loan." I said, "They never said anything about that." The Realtor just literally blew it off and said, "No, it's not a good deal." We do know that the Realtor don't get as much money when you do a VA loan. VA is a little bit more pro-consumers and they're friendlier toward the veterans.

HomeDirect steered us in the right direction. When we went to Kent at HomeDirect, he had the right questions, he explained exactly what he wanted without any confusion about what he needed and if I had any questions or concerns, he would help me through it. He was there, he was hands-on and he was in constant contact. There was no gap in the process. He was right there all the way right up to the end. He not only got us everything, he got us the VA loan within two weeks. That was almost miraculous in itself and it was right on the spot. It was the best experience. We bought and sold houses over the years. I'm 77 and this is, by far, was the best experience we've ever had with a mortgage broker. The experience was absolutely perfect. We were very happy with the situation.

When we sold our house in Florida, we live in our RV in the summer. And so, we were doing e-signing all the way across the country. We would be e-signing on our computer's documents, getting the documents copied, sent and downloaded from the internet, and then printed, copied and sent. Even though a lot of people our age are afraid of computers, this is the age we're in and it worked beautifully right up to the end although there were a couple of situations where the software was incompatible and we had to use a different method to get our result. We did it all electronically and it was wonderful.

The rate and terms were very good. The rate that we were being forced into was almost 5.2% and the average at that time was 4.6%, nationwide. It was between 4.4%-4.6% here in Vegas, so that was very competitive. We could have gotten a 4.125%, but because we got assistance with our closing from the VA at 4.25%, we got 4.25%. Right now in this market, you'd be very happy with a 4.25%. Overall, I had a very good experience working with HomeDirect Mortgage and I would recommend them to anybody.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeDirect Mortgage?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I was buying another home and I did a mortgage thing online where a bunch of different mortgage companies pop up and call me. HomeDirect contacted me after getting my information from that. They offered the best rates so I went with them. The application took less than a month which was super quick. My lender, Ryan was fantastic. I will definitely use HomeDirect's service again. They're super professional and super quick to get good rates. They were awesome working out of state with my Realtor and title companies.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I needed to buy a house when I got down here in Texas. A family friend helped us out and he got us in touch with HomeDirect. After everything was said and done, HomeDirect gave us a better interest rate than anybody else did. So it was awesome. The application and underwriting process took some time and it was roughly 30 days. There was a lot of things that they were asking of us that we needed to provide, and we did. It was kind of a back-and-forth. But there was good communication between myself and the two ladies that were helping us. So it turned out great. It went smoothly. We’re happy.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I needed to buy a house. I went with HomeDirect for the mortgage because of the closing cost for less. Their application process was fine. However, there were two things that were excessive. One of them, my mortgage broker guy got the underwriters to back off on it. He was great. He was just wonderful. He was on top of things. He informed me of what’s going on, where we’re at and answered all my questions. He made me feel like he was on my side, helping me get things done. The terms and rates were good, as well.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

We were looking into refinancing, and I went on Zillow and HomeDirect had the best rate. I filled out the application form and then submitted it. Then, the rep called me back and locked me in to where the interest rate was in. The application and underwriting process took about three days. I had to submit any extra documentation for the underwriters, and it took a while to get everything closed but that's due the number of loans that they had. We were cleared through underwriting quickly and waited on the closing process. I'm very excited and happy with the rate and terms of the mortgage that I received. Working with HomeDirect Mortgage made things a lot easier than a normal refinance process.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

HomeDirect's rates were better than anyone. They were very fair, lower than everyone else I saw. I did an online quote, and then, once I did that, I faxed in whatever information that they needed, and it went pretty smooth. The customer service team was very good and had a quick response. When I did an application with Veterans United, they would let you take pictures of your documents on your cellphone and just send them that way. That was a little bit easier than emailing, and faxing, and scanning. I hope HomeDirect could improve on that. But that was about it.

HomeDirect Mortgage expert review by Michele Lerner

This direct lender is a division of Bank of Oklahoma Financial. It uses the latest technology like an online automated application system to help clients get the money and information they need as efficiently as possible.

• Online application: The online application makes applying for a mortgage easy. With a bit of information, you can submit an application, and a loan officer will contact you directly.

• Mortgage calculators: There are several online calculators free to use. If you have questions about your principle, taxes, APR, refinancing and more, these calculators can help.

• VA loans: This company helps veterans apply for VA loans with specialists trained to make sure you get the service you need.

• Mortgage basics resources: You can access numerous resources that include breakdowns of mortgage terms and costs as well as some FAQs on the website.

• Part of BOKF: This lender subsidiary of the Bank of Oklahoma Financial. This means that they are backed by a multibillion dollar financial company, ensuring your finances are in capable hands.

• Best for: first time homebuyers, people looking for mortgage help and veterans in need of VA loans.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

HomeDirect Mortgage Company Information