4.70/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

BOK Financial Mortgage, formerly HomeDirect Mortgage, is part of a multi-billion dollar financial services group offering online mortgage origination. Our automated online application takes the hassle out of applying for a mortgage and provides an experienced mortgage banker to guide you through the loan process. We offer Conventional, FHA, Jumbo, VA, Advanced Medical Professional mortgage loan options as well as refinance. Contact us today to learn more about BOK Financial Mortgage.

BOK Financial Mortgage, a division of BOKF, NA. Member FDIC, Equal Housing Lender.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOK Financial Mortgage Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I am a HomeDirect Mortgage employee so I knew that I was at about 80% LTV and I could get rid of my MI. And based on the type of loan that I had where it was borrower-paid MI through premium pricing at the rate, I wanted to lower my rate because my rate went down by a full percentage. I've been monitoring rates for a few years. I went with their conventional conforming, a 30-year fixed program. As a customer, it only felt cumbersome to me because I knew the process and there was a level of expectation that I don't think the general consumer has. But I thought that specific to the communication by my loan officer was lacking. I felt that could have been improved.

The online application process was okay. Having done origination 15 years ago, I felt like there were some things that were missed, but it wasn't a big deal. And once the application itself was reviewed, somebody, either the originator or his assistant contacted me back and got those data pieces handled. The application and underwriting process was the least explained to me. I had gotten feedback from friends who had done loans with Bank of Oklahoma and people that had sold their homes and knew the buyers were financing through Bank of Oklahoma, and they said, "We were told the loan was approved. And then, two days before closing, we were told it wasn't." They didn't have a loan. The reason why that has bearing on my situation is because I understood better how that could have happened, when specific to my situation, I was told that we had gotten approval, which I guess was just the AUS.

And then, when I thought it should have been going to closing, they were like, "Oh, we need to get your HOA information." They should have known about that from the moment that they had the AUS piece of it because it was defined in the AUS piece. So, the fact that that detail slips through when I thought it should have been going to closing, I think that was a little clunky. And I'm not super excited to know that perhaps if consumers need explanation of that, I don't know that loan officers are adequately explaining it, at least it wasn't, in my situation.

The communication with my loan officer was just fine. But having a different level of understanding of the process and of the system, some of the questions that I was asking weren't normal questions. So, from that perspective, it may have not necessarily turned him off or put him on edge, but I think it was one of those things that he was like, "Okay. Well, sure. We're busy, so closing is gonna be in a month." And I'm like, "No, but we have approval on the second day of the application because I got you everything you needed. So, why aren't we going to closing?"

Details like that were frustrating to me simply because I didn't understand that the volume had increased such that there was a delay, and I think that that could have been set up better at the beginning. Nonetheless, the loan officer was able to answer or I was able to clarify and rephrase so that he could understand what I was asking. The rate was good and I think that the rep met my expectations very well, but there wasn't any above and beyond as far as any type of additional engagement. I love BOK and I think that they're the way to be. Ultimately, we have the customers' financial benefit in mind, and I think that our people operate in that mindset. So, I like it. I would recommend HomeDirect Mortgage.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 2, 2019

I wanted to refinance to lower the interest rate and at that time, HomeDirect was giving the best interest rate. The agent was also very responsive. After I reached out to the guy and left a voicemail, he reached back out to me and we went through the process for an approval. Then we locked the interest rate right away and proceeded with the standard process. I provided all the documents in a matter of weeks and that was how we ended up closing the refinancing process.

The process took about a month. Most of the information was filled by the agent himself. But I also went to the website, which was pretty straightforward and convenient. I created a login account and filled out a bunch of information. This is my fourth time through the mortgage process and HomeDirect is the most convenient I’ve filed with so far. The process was the smoothest compared to other processes I had gone through. The agent with whom I was dealing with for the entire process was very nice too. He was on top of the things.

Initially, we moved very fast but during the closing time period, things were a little bit delayed and there was a little bit of skepticism at the end of the process. There's a closing amount and I would need to hand over a cashier's check. A person contacted me and then we signed all the documents right before the closing. Then she said we could hand over the check to the person from the Connecticut escrow company and she would mail it to them. But it wasn’t very clear. I didn't know very well the person with whom I was meeting and she didn’t provide me any ID. I was handing over a cashier's check to somebody and there was a chance of being involved in fraud activities. I've heard a lot of stories about having frauds during the closing process. My wife and I were in a little panic mode.

This was a big amount we were handing over to somebody and we don't know that person. She was not even associated with either HomeDirect or the escrow company. She was just hired by the escrow company and the escrow company asked me to hand over my check to her. During the earlier process, the escrow company was in town and you go to the office in person and then they hand over the check. At least you know that things may not go wrong because you know the location and you meet the people face to face. You know they are a legit company. This time, the escrow company was in Connecticut. Everything is remotely handled, which is fine, but with the way the online fraud activities are going on, people are losing trust. Having a physical location makes people feel more comfortable with it being such a large transaction.

There was some skepticism on whether HomeDirect is legit or not. This is my fourth process and we never had this kind of experience where everything was remotely handled and we never got in touch with any physical person or physical location. They should provide some sort of evidence to the customer, like their location and their license number. Some sort of confidence needs to be given to a subscriber. We didn’t end up handing over the check to that person because we didn’t know her very well. But we got all the paperwork fine then we asked the escrow company to send us their wire transfer information. So it was one more day of delay but we eventually wire-transferred then we closed the process.

But after handing over the money, there wasn’t any follow-up. I was expecting somebody from HomeDirect to reach out to me, either through a phone call or an email, saying that they had received the fund, that everything with the refinancing process was complete and how much we would be expecting for the first month. But there wasn’t any communication. So I was a little skeptical then as well. I was wondering whether I really did the correct job. After a few days, I reached out and asked whether we were finished. The rep told me that our fund was in our account and not to worry about it. Those last four days during the closing time was a little inconvenient for me and my family.

Original review: April 21, 2019

I got a VA loan from HomeDirect Mortgage. It was my first time ever buying a house and their steps in getting a loan were pretty straightforward. It was easier and less daunting than I thought it was gonna be. Their online application process was convenient, easy to use, and easy to follow. The application and underwriting process took two months, but I know it because my house was new construction. I had planned to wait until the house close (GRAM - CLOSED). I was happy with the process and it was very good.

The agent who I worked with was Tim. He was able to explain all of the steps and he explained the math behind the numbers. I appreciated that he kind of dumbed it down when I needed to. He explained it very clearly in a way that I could understand, and he's made me feel good about it. He seemed like a very intelligent individual who wasn’t trying to take advantage of me in any way. He truly made it seem like he was on my side, so I felt comfortable. He was also very responsive. I could get hold of him either through email, text, or phone call, and he never took more than a day to get back to me.

Home-buying is a very stressful process, but working with HomeDirect Mortgage made it easier and relieve (GRAM - RELIEVED) some stress. I had a very positive experience and I'm happy with them. I couldn’t be happier with my service or the rates that I got. I felt confident that I was getting the best rate available. I would highly recommend my friends to use HomeDirect Mortgage.

NIII:
A friend recommended HomeDirect Mortgage to me.
I was working with the real estate agent who found the house and HomeDirect was a mortgage firm that my real estate agent had an experience with. I called around to several lending companies and HomeDirect was one of the big-name ones. I ended up comparing all their notes and the personalities of the lenders, and I ended up using HomeDirect based on that.
It was all positive dealing with the reps.
The lending process was very good [and really smooth], and I was happy with it.
His expertise and quality of service were phenomenal, and I was very happy. I would recommend him to anybody else, as I already have to my son.

---

REMOD:

I was doing an upgrade appointment for a house and that prompted me to apply for a mortgage. A friend recommended HomeDirect Mortgage to me. Also, I was working with the real estate agent who found the house and HomeDirect was a mortgage firm that my real estate agent had an experience with. I called around to several lending companies and HomeDirect was one of the big-name ones. I ended up comparing all the notes and the personalities of the lenders, and I ended up using HomeDirect based on that. I got a VA loan from them.

The steps in securing a loan from them were straightforward. It was easier and less daunting than I thought it was gonna be. The online application process was convenient and easy to use and follow. The lending process was very good and really smooth. It took two months, but that was because my house was a new construction and I had planned to wait until the house closed.

It was all positive dealing with the customer service representatives. Tim, the rep that I worked with, was able to explain all of the steps, the reason behind all of them, and the math behind the numbers. It was a complicated process. I appreciated that he dumbed it down when I needed that, and he explained it very clearly in a way that I could understand. He has made me feel good about it. I felt confident and comfortable working with him. He seemed like a very intelligent individual who wasn’t trying to take advantage of me in any way and he truly made it seem like he was on my side. He was also very responsive. It was great that I could get hold of him either through email, text, or phone call. He never took more than a day to get back to me so that was very good. His expertise and quality of service were phenomenal and I would recommend him to anybody else, as I already have to my son.

Home-buying is a very stressful process, but HomeDirect made it easier and relieved some of that stress. I'm happy with the rates and the terms of the mortgage that I received. I felt confident that I was getting the best rate available. It wasn’t the best timing as mortgage rates have been lower, but I felt like I did the best that I could. I couldn’t be happier with my mortgage and the service. I had a very positive experience with HomeDirect and I would highly recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Our Realtor put us in contact with Ronald of HomeDirect and kinda went through it that way. We considered other lenders but he was quicker to get what we wanted and he was able to provide us the best rate upfront. Ronald was very easy to get in touch with. If we couldn't get him to answer right then, he usually called back pretty soon afterward.

This is our first time buying a house so the entire thing was a trial by fire, and every step through it was marred with some sort of ridiculous bureaucracy that I’m not used to 'cause I'm in the army. There was quite a bit of paperwork I needed to fill out. I bought plenty of things before and buying a house was probably could have been the most absolutely painful thing in the world for us. For somebody to sit there and tell me exactly how much my mortgage is gonna be for a month was just absolutely ridiculous. But our Realtors and Ronald were really good. They made it as painless as possible although there was still a lot of red tape to go through no matter how easy they tried to make it. It wasn't anything on our part or on their part, it was just the process itself. It was going through the motions.

I'd like to sit and write it out in person and I'm not a fan of doing things online. However, due to the distance, it wasn't feasible. We bought a house in Georgia while I was living in Louisiana, and our mortgage is out of Oklahoma where a VA coming from Washington, DC. So, the online was literally the only way to do it other than mailing the document or we wouldn't have gotten the process done in 35 days.

I would have liked to have seen a list of, "This is how it works.” Show me the brass tacks, almost like a flowchart, instead of showing me the closing documentation which everything is categorized by number and then explaining to me by number what each piece of it is and where each individual or fee went to. It seemed like every time I turned around, there was some sort of fee that--not necessarily we always had to pay. Sometimes, the seller had to pay it or pulled out of the good interest money.

They could just give me a piece of paper or two, tell me everybody that's involved, and where they're coming out of, because there were a couple of times where I saw there was a charge coming out of some other location, and that was some obscure fee that we had to go through this guy to get that kind of deal. A lot of that would probably have been easier had we all been able to sit down in one location and go over everything.

There were some errors the day before closing that we picked up out of the CDO, that had we all been able to just sit down and talk about it, we would have seen it. It was later explained to us it wasn't an error, but there was some miscommunication. It had us down for an interest rate of 4.75% and when we explained that we were gonna buy down to 4, which was the lowest we could buy down to, they said okay and that would be the rate we'd get on our closing document. The day before closing comes around, they said no and that needed to reflect what we were gonna buy it down to. Our Realtor called Ronald and they had a conversation. Towards the end, communication needs to be more, rather than less, as opposed to any other point in the process.

All of this was kinda new to me. It took me a while to wrap my head around that my interest rate was something that was locked in at that time whatever the market would say it would be, but I could only buy it down so much. I find that kind of ridiculous and that to me doesn't make any sense. That was never really explained to me why I couldn't do that. I had to go do my own research, which a lot of this was me doing my own research. They should be upfront and maybe have a brief explanation as to why I couldn't buy down past 4. But it was more of a pleasant experience than it could have been. The lender was very professional and really helped us through the process. All the comments I just made aside, they did actually a really good job, and we appreciate it.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I like the fact that HomeDirect doesn't sell the mortgage and that is one key factor why I went with it after my research. I spent 30 plus years with my company before I retired, and I had a mortgage with my company moving every three years. I also had my mortgage with my company’s credit union and they sold the mortgage, and it really pissed me off. Also, HomeDirect was expedient in their response. They did a good job with the online application process and I was really most impressed with. The person that got back to me, Dan, was more professional and actually followed up with a phone call, which personalized the service, which I liked. I looked up his credentials online and in doing that, I wanted to make sure that before I gave all my personal information, that I wasn’t gonna be scammed. So, I was giving questions through the process to make sure that I was not being scammed.

He filled everything out. All I had to do was review and sign off on it. There were only a few minor mistakes and I could just go back and tell him that he needed to do this on the review process, and he would correct it and send it back. And then, I would review it and electronically sign it. There were three pieces of paperwork that were not in the electronic paperwork and at that point, I sold my house in Houston and I was in a build. I didn’t have my home office and so I couldn't fax, print out, or easily sign and get the stuff back to him. I would have preferred everything electronically where I could’ve reviewed it. Also, we had to do all of the stuff twice and that was a little burdensome. I didn’t know why it had to be like that.

The process started right around June and it didn’t finalize ‘til December because it was a new home build. With a new home build, there are a lot of steps that go through it that needed to be done. And so, the communication loop between Dan, the builder, and the sales agent were dropped quite a few times, and I had to run around and manage that, and I didn’t like that. If I didn't do that and become more of a mini project manager and run around and get things done and make sure that everybody was in contact, then it would delay the closing even further than it was delayed.

The closing became delayed because the assessor didn't call out the appraiser. Once the assessor called up the appraiser, he didn't get back to us that there were problems with the appraiser. It was a minor thing that could have been handled right at the home site and buttoned up. Also, we didn’t know there was a 72-hour wait time before the closing and that wasn’t communicated back. That was all done on a Friday and so that clock didn’t start ‘til Monday morning. The appraiser came back the second time on a Friday afternoon, turned around and came back and redid it. That could have happened two weeks prior and we could have made the original closing date. HomeBridge just needed to be able to wrap up all the communication ‘cause it was dropped and the personal touch was not quite there.

In hindsight, if I would have done this loan differently, I would have gone to a local place and worked with a bank just because I would have had a person. But I got along with Dan really well. If he would have been here, I would have worked with him. I’m not complaining about them, it’s just that there were a lot of little things that couldn't be done over the internet. You have to be able to go in and develop that relationship and go in and take care of things, and sometimes, this is one of them. When you’re running into a wall, you just have to be able to get in the car and take care of it. However, the rate and terms I got were pretty good. I was waiting and waiting, and then interest rates were going up, so I went ahead and locked in. Then Dan got me a little bit of a lower percentage. I’m a veteran, so I went through the VA and that part was good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BOK Financial Mortgage?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

My mortgage was already with HomeDirect. I did the application for a refinance with the broker and we worked through it online. At the end of closing out our previous mortgage and then getting a new mortgage, I was assured that they would send the escrow check as part of the closing package. But they didn't cut the check for four weeks after the loan closed and they didn't mail that check that they already cut for another two weeks. It took a very long time for it to appear and I contacted them several times about it. I talked to my loan agent and he asked if I tried calling customer service. I called customer service and it was a bunch of non-answer answers from them. Then they finally mailed the check. Overall, the service from HomeDirect was good and we got a better rate.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

My HomeDirect Mortgage experience was perfect. Their reps were very nice, professional and knowledgeable. They gave me a good interest rate. And every time I had a question, I called them and they were quick to respond.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

Our previous loan was with HomeDirect Mortgage and because of the lower interest rates, I applied with them. In getting the 30-year fixed loan, everything was smooth. It was not painful. The application and underwriting took about 30 days. The loan manager called me right away when I showed interest and got all my info. It was very quick as far as getting the application approved. And any of the follow-ups that I had with him or his assistant was all quick, straightforward and simple. It all went through so easily. They submitted my info, got the approval, and then it went through underwriting. The rates and terms were good. I was happy with them. I have a lower loan payment now, so that’s always a plus.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I got a refi with HomeDirect and Daniel, the rep, reached out to me. There were a couple of follow-ups and quick calls that we did but our interaction was mostly through IM. Since we worked together last year, most of everything was already kinda figured out and documented already. So, it was all super-easy and he answered fast. He walked me through all the stuff and then, the notary person showed up at the house, and they got it all done. We started it at the beginning of September and closed in the middle of October, which was great. The rate was good and although I wish I could do it in 10 years instead, everything was fine.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I was doing an FHA refinance with them at a better rate of what we had. I have been in the mortgage industry for 40 years, so all of this came very easy to me. From a standard borrower's standpoint, I think the process was very easy as well. It was made very user-friendly using the HomeNow process. And my loan officer, Aston, was wonderful to work with. We probably had our approval and we were ready to close within 30 days. But we were in Europe for a couple of weeks, so we delayed it ourselves until we got back. So, it took 45 days. I understood the process and I did everything virtually, electronically but HomeDirect should make sure that somewhere in the process there’s a human contact.

BOK Financial Mortgage expert review by Michele Lerner

This direct lender is a division of Bank of Oklahoma Financial. It uses the latest technology like an online automated application system to help clients get the money and information they need as efficiently as possible.

• Online application: The online application makes applying for a mortgage easy. With a bit of information, you can submit an application, and a loan officer will contact you directly.

• Mortgage calculators: There are several online calculators free to use. If you have questions about your principle, taxes, APR, refinancing and more, these calculators can help.

• VA loans: This company helps veterans apply for VA loans with specialists trained to make sure you get the service you need.

• Mortgage basics resources: You can access numerous resources that include breakdowns of mortgage terms and costs as well as some FAQs on the website.

• Part of BOKF: This lender subsidiary of the Bank of Oklahoma Financial. This means that they are backed by a multibillion dollar financial company, ensuring your finances are in capable hands.

• Best for: first time homebuyers, people looking for mortgage help and veterans in need of VA loans.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

BOK Financial Mortgage Company Information