Call toll free
4.81/5
Based on 559 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

HomeDirect Mortgage is an online only ‘direct’ lender that specializes in obtaining home loans at great rates for our clients. Our automated online application process will save you time and money. HomeDirect has experienced mortgage bankers to help guide you every step of the mortgage process. Contact us today to learn more about HomeDirect Mortgage.

HomeDirect Mortgage, a division of BOKF, NA. Member FDIC. Equal Housing Lender.

HomeDirect Mortgage Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

872 HomeDirect Mortgage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

We worked with Dave and his assistant Steven when we applied for a mortgage with HomeDirect for a new-to-us home. The process could never be fast though because it was a VA. It was complicated and frustrating but that was the government. But also because it was a VA, we were happy with the rate. We went with the Bank of Oklahoma because they were able to give us the best rate. The mortgage is a 30-year and below 4%. Who can beat that?

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I was trying to check the rates with different lenders for a new home purchase and then I started getting all the emails and calls from different places. I went with a couple and went through the process to see what they could give me. My initial choice was someone else but I started talking to the HomeDirect agent and I really liked him. Also, the no-fee thing was good. The guy I dealt with was extremely helpful and a straight shooter. He was also very honest and very quick to get back to me.

As far as the closing dates, when I submitted the offer, that was already pre-approved when I put that in with my realtor and we picked our closing day before we talked to HomeDirect's guy. He told me before that it wouldn’t be bad whatever we would do. I went to see the house before but when I went back in, we found the house that we wanted. We told him the day we would buy it and he told me that wouldn’t be an issue and it wasn’t. Also, I'm happy with the rate and terms. It was extremely competitive. The overall application and process was extremely pain-free and easy. I've already recommended HomeDirect to a few other people.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I got a VA loan from HomeDirect Mortgage for a new home purchase. I shopped around and HomeDirect by far has the lowest rate I saw or even heard about. And their mortgage process was streamlined. Correspondence was mostly over the phone and through email. They also had a secure website to send documents through. We were done with everything that we needed to have at the 30-day mark and we were just waiting the last couple of weeks. It was the best process possible. Ryan, their rep was completely helpful. He worked with me and answered back immediately almost every single time I had a question. He definitely made sure that I had all the documents that I needed and was very responsive throughout the entire process. He made the process extremely easy for me.

When I did end up signing, the seller agent said that she was amazed by the rate and could not believe that I had that rate. And the person that I signed the paperwork with at the real estate office said that he just did a VA loan a day earlier and they got it at 5% and mine was at 4.25%. So, it was extremely a low rate and the agent didn’t even think that it would go through. She thought that I’d have a problem with getting the underwriting process completed because she thought that rate was too good to be true. So far, I’ve already recommended HomeDirect to someone else. My wife who was also a real estate agent started to recommend HomeDirect to other people as well.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

My friend used HomeDirect and I heard that he had a good experience and they had extremely competitive rates. I also had a good experience with them overall, but at times, I felt like I was in the dark regarding the status of where we are in the process. Most people pursuing home mortgages don’t really have a great understanding of all the steps of the process and it would have been helpful to be mentored or advised a little bit better along the way. The application and underwriting process were fairly swift. The long pole in the tent was the appraisal process, which took about two weeks.

At times, towards the end of the home buying process, it kinda felt like there was some finger pointing between HomeDirect and the local title company. As the buyer, I was trying to ensure that things were moving forward, so we could stick to our rate lock time period. I called the title company and they’re blaming things on HomeDirect, and I talked to HomeDirect and they’re blaming things on the title company. And both of these entities are supposed to be working on my behalf to get to closing, and it seemed like they just were not at the same page at times. I didn’t really feel like my best interests was looked at, especially when it came down to the wire and I had two hours to sign all the closing documents.

Eventually, they figured out what they needed to do and they got it done, but it wasn’t without prodding on my behalf. So, they could work a little bit better. Coming from Rhode Island and buying a house in Florida, I had to be on top of my communications with them and consistently be asking questions. Whereas if there was like a checklist step process that HomeDirect could give to their clients to help them work through that process and advise them along the way, it would enhance communication and better customer-client relations.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I was in the market for a refinancing so I could take some of my money that I've accrued and as I went online checking a bunch of the lenders, I found that HomeDirect had an outstanding reputation. Kerry, the guy I worked with at HomeDirect, was one of a number of people that called me and aside from the fact that I’d already done my homework, I liked what he had to say so we went on from there. I was told I could call anytime and I did, and Kerry was always available to talk to me. If I had any questions, he’d answer it right away.

HomeDirect got me the actual rate that was available at that time and the process was all done in a very quick period. We're done in around 28 days. So, I was very happy. And most of it was done electronically which was more convenient, thus making me even happier. With that, I would tell people that they should go with HomeDirect because they really take care of their clients.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeDirect Mortgage?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

HomeDirect offered me a really good rate and was easy to work with so I got an FHA loan from them for a new home purchase. Their rep was really good at communicating, keeping us up-to-date, and explaining everything very thoroughly. I was very comfortable working with him. I provided all the financial documents and the entire processing took about 30 days, which was fairly quick. We’re happy with terms of the mortgage that we got. I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I got a VA loan for a new home from HomeDirect. This was my second home loan which was much better than the first. HomeDirect's rate was lower and it was very easy to work with their representative. He was very straightforward and helpful all the way through. The process took under a month and overall, I was happy with the service.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Applying for a mortgage was our way so we could get a new house. We've used HomeDirect with our last house and this time when we decided we were gonna buy a house, we reached out to different lenders including the same contacts I've worked with HomeDirect. Since we had a very good experience the last time we used them and they have a very competitive rate, we went with them again. The application and underwriting process took about a month. However, there was a miscommunication at the very end between the lender and the title company wherein there was a document that was missing. But other than that, working with HomeDirect made our home buying process very smooth.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I had high interest rates and I needed lower interest rates. I have several rentals and a primary residence, and I refinanced with HomeDirect because I checked on cheapest prices. Lori, the girl who helped me out, was very good. I'd recommend her to anybody. I did the application online, but she did most of everything. We did a lot of talking over the phone, and everything she promised, she came through with. It took a little bit of time because things were changing, but everything worked out perfectly fine. The rates and terms were good too. I checked about six different places and had people, including the mortgage people that had my loan, sending me all the closing documents, but they couldn't compete with what Lori did. Overall, it's been good working with HomeDirect.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I bought a new house and was recommended with HomeDirect for a mortgage. I applied for a loan over the phone and everything was ready within about 40 days. I interacted with Dave the whole time. Everything was easy with him and he was always responsive and quick. The rates and terms that I received were the best that I could find too. I've recommended HomeDirect to at least two guys and they've gone through them.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I'm a military so I looked on to USAA and several sites as well. HomeDirect Mortgage's rates weren't the lowest but their service was the best so I got a VA loan from them to buy a house. The application and underwriting process took 30 days. I dealt with Dirk and Erik, and they were both extremely helpful and on the ball. HomeDirect was helpful in locking in my rates as quickly as possible. And they stood by that lock even though rates went up by a full point a day later. I'd recommend HomeDirect to anybody and I'm very happy doing business with them.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Seth was recommended by a realtor for my new home purchase. I was impressed with his ability to be competitive with the interest rate. HomeDirect Mortgage's application process seemed pretty seamless and the initial approval took less than a week. Seth preferred that I send the documents directly to him instead of uploading the documents to their website. It seemed that the website didn't need to be there. I'd get updates from the website which were helpful but I got a lot more emails and it started to feel spammy. Though it wasn't bothersome and I would definitely come through HomeDirect again.

I tried to be really clear with Seth that we were moving across the country and that I needed to know if he needed anything else from me because all our stuff was gonna go in boxes and I would not have access to it until after closing. Part of the way through our two-week trip across the country, they needed a copy of our trust. It was a little freak-out moment but he was reassuring and saying that if I couldn't find it, it would be fine. I ended up finding it. I scanned it in and had a copy on my computer but that half hour or so that it took me to find that copy on my computer wasn't really what I wanted to do on our trip across the country. Seth may have thought he had everything that he needed and the underwriters have pulled that on him but it worked out. I just sent Seth an email referring a friend to him and I wouldn't have done that if I didn't have a great experience with him.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I looked into getting the mortgage to buy a house and I got a 30-year VA loan from HomeDirect Mortgage. I had another lender lined up but they weren't able to give us the terms that HomeDirect was able to give. The mortgage process went well, and the application and underwriting process took 24 days. The rate and the terms I got were fantastic. HomeDirect Mortgage was easy to work with, had good rates and I really liked working with Matt.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

After I did a lot of comparisons and spoke with other lenders and different agencies, HomeDirect had the best interest rate on the market. They also had a very simple mortgage process. My POC representative, Julie, was awesome. She answered any and all questions I had in a reasonable time when I asked them via email or through the telephone. Their staff was great and very knowledgeable. Being a first-time home buyer, everything went smooth, easy and pretty good. It was self-explanatory, or if not, it was explained to me.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I've had a really good experience with HomeDirect in general. They have incredible rates and they don't charge lender fees. They also hold lien notes and then I forward that, making a payment to a different location. I'm a real estate broker and I work with Brian, and I send him a lot of my clients since he does a great job. He's also very people-friendly. Getting a mortgage went very well. At the end, there were a couple of things that the attorney did that was a little bit of a pain in the butt, but it’s normal jumping through hoops. There were also a lot of delays on the seller’s end, but it wasn’t too bad.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

HomeDirect was able to lock in the lowest rate that I could find so I got a VA loan from them for a new home purchase. The application process was simple since I'm familiar with doing mortgages. Erik, the loan officer who helped me, did a good job and knew how to get stuff done. He was on the ball and we got the processing done in less than 30 days which was pretty fast for a VA. They have their own VA underwriters which makes it a lot quicker than having the mortgage company send it over to a different VA underwriter to deal with it. Also, the terms that I got were good. I would recommend HomeDirect. In fact, I've already given Erik’s name to several people.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I was buying a house and I used a VA loan with HomeDirect. I’ve used HomeDirect before and the loan process was the same as we always do -- provide paperwork, bank statements and the credit report. The application and underwriting process went pretty well.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I retired from the military and got a new job. I moved to a new area and a couple of mortgage companies called me back quickly which included HomeDirect and I was convinced since I liked working with their rep, Dirk. He was attentive without being too pushy and responsive without bothering me constantly. He gave me enough room to decide and did a good job of walking the line of providing timely and adequate information without overwhelming me with multiple marketing calls and pestering me. There were a couple of pieces of paperwork that kinda got lost in email towards the end of it so when I went with the bank appraisal, I had to ask him twice to send that to me. He was very apologetic and it could have been my mistake due to there's a lot of emails going back and forth but it was all good.

I've bought and sold several houses so, I'm fairly familiar with the process of getting a loan and we had to verify all of our finances. We had to demonstrate a sound credit and had to have sufficient funds to pay the down payment. The online application process was very good and every time I do this, it gets a little bit easier and easier. The industry is doing a good job of evolving. I'm waiting on my VA disability claim to be settled. Once that comes in and if it's about 10% which I expect it to be, I would be able to go back to HomeDirect and get a refund of my VA funding.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I applied for a 30-year fixed VA loan from HomeDirect Mortgage for a new home. The rate and terms were good which made me decide to go with them. However, the VA's appraisal process was a pain. It took a while till I got the final mortgage approval and there were seemingly infinite numbers of papers to sign. But it makes sense for such a huge purchase. The entire process took about two months. I work with two people at HomeDirect and I don’t exactly know the delineation between each as far as who was doing what so it was a little confusing dealing with them. They need to have clear communication about the distinct roles and who does what. Nevertheless, they were very nice and very patient. It’s my first time buying a house, so I appreciated their help and demeanor through everything.

The VA was particularly good although I wish I purchased back in January before rates shot up in February for everyone across the board. I had a good experience with HomeDirect, overall. I would definitely recommend them as part of the process of obtaining a mortgage. People should at least put them in one of the few companies they should inquire about.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Our son and daughter-in-law live in Hillsboro, Oregon and we decided to try to live closer to them and our grandchildren. HomeDirect does not charge originating fees and we like working with a company that does that. We did the application for the VA loan on the phone, through email and text communication, and it was faster talking with the rep than doing it online. We have worked with Aspen, their rep, in three other mortgages. I've worked with some other people and I would not work with anyone else but her. We even followed her from one company to this one that she's in because she was so prompt and efficient. She was knowledgeable, very professional and patient with us. We took a lot of her time and she didn’t seem to show any agitation. She didn’t waste time and she got back with us right away if we had any questions. When was gone a week or more, she had an assistant that was on top of things with us.

We were very impressed and enjoyed working with her. Aspen gave us exactly what we needed in order to secure our loan and she was also very helpful when we didn’t know what to do and how to do it. To secure the loan, we had to meet several milestones and she kept in touch with us making sure that we were meeting those and helped us stay on the milestones we needed to stay on. The company had to do a credit check and check all the loans we had in the past and the other rental homes that we had. We also had to take care of some loans in order to secure this one.

With our last home, we got $6,000 added to the VA loan for energy improvement which VA would allow under the solar program and we requested that. Aspen did it before for us with another bank and when I talked with her about it for this, she said that the bank felt that there was too much paperwork and they didn’t wanna do it so her hands were tied. However, we did very well with the rates and terms of the mortgage and we got some lender credit. We are very satisfied with HomeDirect.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Working with HomeDirect has helped us move into a home that we really like in a nice neighborhood in the time we wanna be in, so we're happy with it. We got a great rep named Julie. She was super responsive and on top of everything. The process went super smooth and we closed really quickly. It was our first home and Julie walked us through everything. The only thing that was not super awesome was when she said she would masquerade in another company, but they weren't able to do it in the end.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I retired from the military so we were moving and we wanted to finally buy a home instead of live in safe housing or rent a house wherever we moved to. I shopped around and interviewed lenders and loan officers then I narrowed it down to two. When it came time to put an offering, one guy was on vacation and Ronald from HomeDirect was there and ready to go. We worked well together so I went with him.

I liked his responsiveness because I had a bunch of questions and I kept calling him and asking him stuff, and he would get back to me right away. There were times that it was a little late at night too because I had a pretty hectic schedule towards the end of my retirement with moving and getting the old house packed up. I was working weird hours and he was still very responsive no matter what time of day. I really appreciated that and he did a tremendous job. We had six months to prep and Ron was forward-leaning on making sure we got everything ready before we actually needed it. So, it really helped make things go smoothly with the communication with him.

During the underwriting process, he asked for documents and we provided the documents within a day or two, and then we continued with the process. So, it didn’t take long. We took the offering that was to close on or before July 24th and we were ready to close by July 16th because we had everything done. But the earliest that the seller could do it was July 19th and we had to do a program on that day. The major terms that I was looking for and that I asked for was 30 years and that there was no prepayment policy. That was something that was guaranteed. The experience was less painful than most people made it out to be and I already gave Ron’s info to my sister-in-law. I told her that she can't beat this rate because when we closed the house that day, the title people said that he had the lowest rate than anybody they’ve seen.

Original review: July 29, 2018

We got a traditional fixed rate 30-year mortgage from HomeDirect Mortgage for a new home purchase. Ryan has been my loan officer for my last home purchase and then I refinanced on that home. He's someone who I really trust to the extent that I took a slightly worst deal to finance with him. But it was worth it to know who I'm dealing with and that he was being upfront. He acted like a personal loan concierge. He gave me information about not only the offers from him but from other companies and really breaking them down and helping me understand them without pressuring me. He was very honest and forthright. If I had a random question like I couldn’t log in to the portal or when HomeDirect switched over, Ryan was in my email. And Instead of having to call the customer service, he handled the conversing for me and that extra mile of making things simple for me is really what makes HomeDirect stand out.

The process of of obtaining the mortgage was really easy. We did the loan so far in advance which was great because we built this home so things were getting a little hectic. Ryan sent us all of the pre-qualification documents early on so we could fill those out. It was less paperwork than I had to do for the builder’s lender which was nice because it was all online, all DocuSign online, which was very easy. Ryan also kept us up to speed with exactly what we would need to send and when we would need to send it. Also, Ryan's turnaround time was a matter of a few days on each step. I was never waiting on him. He was actually the one waiting on us because we were waiting on the builder. We did the pre-approval really early and then the underwriting had to wait for a little closer to closing. I know for a fact that that our mortgage is competitive in today’s market. I just wish it was better, but compared to what other people are getting, we did very well.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I looked into a mortgage because I was buying a house. I had a bad experience with Quicken Loans, and so I started looking for reviews on different mortgage companies and I found HomeDirect. I called them and they requested a lot of information, which I provided. And then, I went through their approval process and was approved. The documents were all waiting on me at my closing attorney’s law office, and it went as smoothly as could be.

I dealt with my mortgage lender, Tamara, and she was extremely easy to deal with throughout the whole process. She found a way to help me get approved within their guidelines and the federal guidelines. Also, I'm very happy with the rate and terms of the mortgage I received. I would recommend HomeDirect. They're a very easy mortgage lending company to deal with.

Original review: July 28, 2018

HomeDirect Mortgage was located near where I had worked. Then I found out that they could do my mortgage from Kansas all the way to Florida and I would have somebody close, and that made me feel really good. I felt so confident that I went with them. Also, there wasn't any origination fee. The reps that I worked with, Ryan and his assistant, Erik, were great and they kept me informed all the way. If I had a question, they handled it. I got answers when I emailed them and I got a response right away when I got on the phone.

But when I originally filled out the form online, I was asked if I rented or owned a house. We've sold our big house and we've been renting in Florida for the last years, but the website would only take on that I rented, so there was some glitch in the program. It could have checked each home that I've had, but when I gave one address, it automatically didn't check the other address and I couldn't go back. There was no way to comment on those things and if there was something that I didn't understand, there was no place to comment. Nevertheless, everything has been wonderful with HomeDirect and my mortgage with them was the easiest one that I've ever done.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I was moving and HomeDirect offered me the best interest rate. I got a VA loan from them and applying for it was easier than I thought it would be. The paperwork was straightforward and a lot of it was waiting around and dealing with the realtor than the lender for any changes and whatnot to the contract for the house. The lending process took about 45 days and during this time, their rep was pretty much available when I called and he always kept me informed which made the whole thing easy. He was very knowledgeable so I didn’t have any problems with him.

Original review: July 27, 2018

HomeDirect responds quickly and they are easy to work with. I ended up going with their 5% down central mortgage or a newly purchased home. I filled out a pre-approval request and then from there, I communicated with my mortgage broker. It's just as simple as sending the requested documents to him. The application took about 15 minutes, but the underwriting was delayed by me. It was ready to go in a couple of weeks. HomeDirect helped us get our loan closed very quickly on a Friday to get it recorded anywhere I'd move in. They're excellent. And I'd recommend them to people.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I was buying a house and used HomeDirect for mortgage since they gave me the best rate for the VA and the amount that I needed. The application process was pretty simple and easy. I worked mainly with two people, one of them was Dirk and he was wonderful. He's a consistent wordsmith, but there were other people in the organization that called my boss multiple times for employment verification. It was a little bit annoying. I had to mention it to Dirk and he got it taken care of.

Original review: July 26, 2018

We were getting a new house and ended up going for a 30-year VA loan through HomeDirect. When obtaining the loan, I requested their rate and then I spoke to a mortgage broker. The application and underwriting process was convenient. I needed to get some paperwork and so it took a longer time. But I was very pleased with the whole process and the two gals that worked with us were very helpful.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I wanted to buy a house so I turned to HomeDirect and ended up going with a VA loan. The application process was easy. I did all the basic stuff to get the mortgage; gave proof of employment and how much I make as well as past work history. There were lots of little issues with the VA but HomeDirect helped me with it. I had Chad working with me and he always kept me up-to-date, gave me calls whenever anything was changed, and then made sure I understood the process. I was very comfortable with him and overall, HomeDirect was good. They work with you.

HomeDirect Mortgage expert review by Michele Lerner

This direct lender is a division of Bank of Oklahoma Financial. It uses the latest technology like an online automated application system to help clients get the money and information they need as efficiently as possible.

• Online application: The online application makes applying for a mortgage easy. With a bit of information, you can submit an application, and a loan officer will contact you directly.

• Mortgage calculators: There are several online calculators free to use. If you have questions about your principle, taxes, APR, refinancing and more, these calculators can help.

• VA loans: This company helps veterans apply for VA loans with specialists trained to make sure you get the service you need.

• Mortgage basics resources: You can access numerous resources that include breakdowns of mortgage terms and costs as well as some FAQs on the website.

• Part of BOKF: This lender subsidiary of the Bank of Oklahoma Financial. This means that they are backed by a multibillion dollar financial company, ensuring your finances are in capable hands.

• Best for: first time homebuyers, people looking for mortgage help and veterans in need of VA loans.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

HomeDirect Mortgage Company Information

11880 College Blvd. #320
Overland Park
KS
855-314-7440
www.homedirectmortgage.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business