Call toll free
4.77/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

HomeDirect Mortgage is an online only ‘direct’ lender that specializes in obtaining home loans at great rates for our clients. Our automated online application process will save you time and money. HomeDirect has experienced mortgage bankers to help guide you every step of the mortgage process. Contact us today to learn more about HomeDirect Mortgage.

HomeDirect Mortgage, a division of BOKF, NA. Member FDIC. Equal Housing Lender.

HomeDirect Mortgage Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1455 HomeDirect Mortgage Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: April 21, 2019

I got a VA loan from HomeDirect Mortgage. It was my first time ever buying a house and their steps in getting a loan were pretty straightforward. It was easier and less daunting than I thought it was gonna be. Their online application process was convenient, easy to use, and easy to follow. The application and underwriting process took two months, but I know it because my house was new construction. I had planned to wait until the house close (GRAM - CLOSED). I was happy with the process and it was very good.

The agent who I worked with was Tim. He was able to explain all of the steps and he explained the math behind the numbers. I appreciated that he kind of dumbed it down when I needed to. He explained it very clearly in a way that I could understand, and he's made me feel good about it. He seemed like a very intelligent individual who wasn’t trying to take advantage of me in any way. He truly made it seem like he was on my side, so I felt comfortable. He was also very responsive. I could get hold of him either through email, text, or phone call, and he never took more than a day to get back to me.

Home-buying is a very stressful process, but working with HomeDirect Mortgage made it easier and relieve (GRAM - RELIEVED) some stress. I had a very positive experience and I'm happy with them. I couldn’t be happier with my service or the rates that I got. I felt confident that I was getting the best rate available. I would highly recommend my friends to use HomeDirect Mortgage.

NIII:
A friend recommended HomeDirect Mortgage to me.
I was working with the real estate agent who found the house and HomeDirect was a mortgage firm that my real estate agent had an experience with. I called around to several lending companies and HomeDirect was one of the big-name ones. I ended up comparing all their notes and the personalities of the lenders, and I ended up using HomeDirect based on that.
It was all positive dealing with the reps.
The lending process was very good [and really smooth], and I was happy with it.
His expertise and quality of service were phenomenal, and I was very happy. I would recommend him to anybody else, as I already have to my son.

---

REMOD:

I was doing an upgrade appointment for a house and that prompted me to apply for a mortgage. A friend recommended HomeDirect Mortgage to me. Also, I was working with the real estate agent who found the house and HomeDirect was a mortgage firm that my real estate agent had an experience with. I called around to several lending companies and HomeDirect was one of the big-name ones. I ended up comparing all the notes and the personalities of the lenders, and I ended up using HomeDirect based on that. I got a VA loan from them.

The steps in securing a loan from them were straightforward. It was easier and less daunting than I thought it was gonna be. The online application process was convenient and easy to use and follow. The lending process was very good and really smooth. It took two months, but that was because my house was a new construction and I had planned to wait until the house closed.

It was all positive dealing with the customer service representatives. Tim, the rep that I worked with, was able to explain all of the steps, the reason behind all of them, and the math behind the numbers. It was a complicated process. I appreciated that he dumbed it down when I needed that, and he explained it very clearly in a way that I could understand. He has made me feel good about it. I felt confident and comfortable working with him. He seemed like a very intelligent individual who wasn’t trying to take advantage of me in any way and he truly made it seem like he was on my side. He was also very responsive. It was great that I could get hold of him either through email, text, or phone call. He never took more than a day to get back to me so that was very good. His expertise and quality of service were phenomenal and I would recommend him to anybody else, as I already have to my son.

Home-buying is a very stressful process, but HomeDirect made it easier and relieved some of that stress. I'm happy with the rates and the terms of the mortgage that I received. I felt confident that I was getting the best rate available. It wasn’t the best timing as mortgage rates have been lower, but I felt like I did the best that I could. I couldn’t be happier with my mortgage and the service. I had a very positive experience with HomeDirect and I would highly recommend them.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Our Realtor put us in contact with Ronald of HomeDirect and kinda went through it that way. We considered other lenders but he was quicker to get what we wanted and he was able to provide us the best rate upfront. Ronald was very easy to get in touch with. If we couldn't get him to answer right then, he usually called back pretty soon afterward.

This is our first time buying a house so the entire thing was a trial by fire, and every step through it was marred with some sort of ridiculous bureaucracy that I’m not used to 'cause I'm in the army. There was quite a bit of paperwork I needed to fill out. I bought plenty of things before and buying a house was probably could have been the most absolutely painful thing in the world for us. For somebody to sit there and tell me exactly how much my mortgage is gonna be for a month was just absolutely ridiculous. But our Realtors and Ronald were really good. They made it as painless as possible although there was still a lot of red tape to go through no matter how easy they tried to make it. It wasn't anything on our part or on their part, it was just the process itself. It was going through the motions.

I'd like to sit and write it out in person and I'm not a fan of doing things online. However, due to the distance, it wasn't feasible. We bought a house in Georgia while I was living in Louisiana, and our mortgage is out of Oklahoma where a VA coming from Washington, DC. So, the online was literally the only way to do it other than mailing the document or we wouldn't have gotten the process done in 35 days.

I would have liked to have seen a list of, "This is how it works.” Show me the brass tacks, almost like a flowchart, instead of showing me the closing documentation which everything is categorized by number and then explaining to me by number what each piece of it is and where each individual or fee went to. It seemed like every time I turned around, there was some sort of fee that--not necessarily we always had to pay. Sometimes, the seller had to pay it or pulled out of the good interest money.

They could just give me a piece of paper or two, tell me everybody that's involved, and where they're coming out of, because there were a couple of times where I saw there was a charge coming out of some other location, and that was some obscure fee that we had to go through this guy to get that kind of deal. A lot of that would probably have been easier had we all been able to sit down in one location and go over everything.

There were some errors the day before closing that we picked up out of the CDO, that had we all been able to just sit down and talk about it, we would have seen it. It was later explained to us it wasn't an error, but there was some miscommunication. It had us down for an interest rate of 4.75% and when we explained that we were gonna buy down to 4, which was the lowest we could buy down to, they said okay and that would be the rate we'd get on our closing document. The day before closing comes around, they said no and that needed to reflect what we were gonna buy it down to. Our Realtor called Ronald and they had a conversation. Towards the end, communication needs to be more, rather than less, as opposed to any other point in the process.

All of this was kinda new to me. It took me a while to wrap my head around that my interest rate was something that was locked in at that time whatever the market would say it would be, but I could only buy it down so much. I find that kind of ridiculous and that to me doesn't make any sense. That was never really explained to me why I couldn't do that. I had to go do my own research, which a lot of this was me doing my own research. They should be upfront and maybe have a brief explanation as to why I couldn't buy down past 4. But it was more of a pleasant experience than it could have been. The lender was very professional and really helped us through the process. All the comments I just made aside, they did actually a really good job, and we appreciate it.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I like the fact that HomeDirect doesn't sell the mortgage and that is one key factor why I went with it after my research. I spent 30 plus years with my company before I retired, and I had a mortgage with my company moving every three years. I also had my mortgage with my company’s credit union and they sold the mortgage, and it really pissed me off. Also, HomeDirect was expedient in their response. They did a good job with the online application process and I was really most impressed with. The person that got back to me, Dan, was more professional and actually followed up with a phone call, which personalized the service, which I liked. I looked up his credentials online and in doing that, I wanted to make sure that before I gave all my personal information, that I wasn’t gonna be scammed. So, I was giving questions through the process to make sure that I was not being scammed.

He filled everything out. All I had to do was review and sign off on it. There were only a few minor mistakes and I could just go back and tell him that he needed to do this on the review process, and he would correct it and send it back. And then, I would review it and electronically sign it. There were three pieces of paperwork that were not in the electronic paperwork and at that point, I sold my house in Houston and I was in a build. I didn’t have my home office and so I couldn't fax, print out, or easily sign and get the stuff back to him. I would have preferred everything electronically where I could’ve reviewed it. Also, we had to do all of the stuff twice and that was a little burdensome. I didn’t know why it had to be like that.

The process started right around June and it didn’t finalize ‘til December because it was a new home build. With a new home build, there are a lot of steps that go through it that needed to be done. And so, the communication loop between Dan, the builder, and the sales agent were dropped quite a few times, and I had to run around and manage that, and I didn’t like that. If I didn't do that and become more of a mini project manager and run around and get things done and make sure that everybody was in contact, then it would delay the closing even further than it was delayed.

The closing became delayed because the assessor didn't call out the appraiser. Once the assessor called up the appraiser, he didn't get back to us that there were problems with the appraiser. It was a minor thing that could have been handled right at the home site and buttoned up. Also, we didn’t know there was a 72-hour wait time before the closing and that wasn’t communicated back. That was all done on a Friday and so that clock didn’t start ‘til Monday morning. The appraiser came back the second time on a Friday afternoon, turned around and came back and redid it. That could have happened two weeks prior and we could have made the original closing date. HomeBridge just needed to be able to wrap up all the communication ‘cause it was dropped and the personal touch was not quite there.

In hindsight, if I would have done this loan differently, I would have gone to a local place and worked with a bank just because I would have had a person. But I got along with Dan really well. If he would have been here, I would have worked with him. I’m not complaining about them, it’s just that there were a lot of little things that couldn't be done over the internet. You have to be able to go in and develop that relationship and go in and take care of things, and sometimes, this is one of them. When you’re running into a wall, you just have to be able to get in the car and take care of it. However, the rate and terms I got were pretty good. I was waiting and waiting, and then interest rates were going up, so I went ahead and locked in. Then Dan got me a little bit of a lower percentage. I’m a veteran, so I went through the VA and that part was good.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I was looking on Zillow and it asked, "Are you a veteran?" I clicked "Yes" and Mark from HomeDirect reached out to me based on that inquiry. Mark was very open, he answered a lot of my questions and he seemed very knowledgeable. Being that I am a first-time homeowner, he was very patient. I stuck with him because I felt comfortable.

I initially spoke with Mark about what I was looking for and he asked me a couple of preliminary questions about income. When I was settled on what kind of home I was looking for and that I knew I was ready to start the process, he sent me the application through email and everything came back pretty quickly. Anything that he needed after that, he requested and we worked very well in getting him additional information.

HomeDirect was very easy to work with in the sense of my income because all I really had was my disability benefit. But they never made it seem like I didn't make enough. I worked on my credit score a little bit before I went through with the loan. I waited about a month or two from the initial contact with Mark. He continued to keep in touch with me, he knew my plans, and he offered to give me tips on things that I could do to increase my credit before I filed the initial application.

From there, I followed their lead on extra paperwork. My broker said they were gonna need a bunch of paperwork so when I told Mark that I wanted to be proactive and asked him to give me a list of everything I needed to compile to make sure he had everything, he gave me that list ahead of time. He was able to answer future questions that we had to understand. He said, "It's not set in stone, but this is what will determine your interest rate. This is the type of plans we have. This is what you could be looking, I'm putting down."

When we had one deal fall through, it was really great that Mark was really encouraging during that time. He told me that these things happen and not to worry about it. I told Mark that I needed some time because I was really discouraged and he told me to take my time and to get myself together. They'd be ready when I'd be ready to get back on the ball. And they absolutely were. When I had questions about how the interest rate worked, Mark he told me that from day to day, it could fluctuate. They could lock it in for this amount of time and there was an extra fee to lock it in for extra days. He explained that to me. All in all, it worked fine.

Once it started getting closer to the closing and the underwriting part of it, Tony came in. He asked more questions and he helped me take care of that part. He was Mark's assistant and he dealt specifically with the underwriting portion. From beginning to end, when I initially started looking without having the application process, it only took me six months all in all. From what I heard in some horror stories, it was pretty doggone good.

The only thing that was offputting was when I began to sign papers, it was with Bank of Oklahoma. I was a little bit thrown off by that. If you take the time to read the paperwork, that's just the bank who finances HomeDirect. Sometimes, you have one company dealing with you and then they sell your businesses to another company and you don't know that.

Soon after closing, someone from the Finance Department reached out through email, gave me an online account number and walked me through that. It was upfront, mentioned about the monthly payment, and how much interest was gonna be added with the penalties. I really love that there was no penalty to pay it off early. When I purchased my car, I was not even aware that I could get penalized for paying it off early. With HomeDirect, I found out that there was no such penalty. They gave me an amortization table so I knew exactly how my payments would break down for the next 30 years. They were very efficient. I was just able to e-sign things. With the whole system that they had, I got an alert when each step was completed.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

We lived in Florida and right now, they're getting hammered with a horrible, horrible, hurricane. They're getting devastated. We suffered too two hurricanes there and that was a factor why we decided to move. We have a son who lives here in Las Vegas and we have two daughters who live in California. They couldn't be happier that we moved to Las Vegas because this is our favorite place to come. So, we're closer to our family. When you get older, that's very important and that was the tipping point. Even though we had family on the East Coast, moving to Las Vegas was an easy decision for us.

When the representative for the Realtor supported the financial arrangement that had been proposed, I was under the impression that we were not locked into the rate because nobody ever told me about a lock-in on the rate. I let it drift to the last couple of weeks. So within a week, we decided that we were gonna switch because I talked to the financial guy and he said, "No, there's nothing else I can do." At that point, we were threatened that we were in breach of contract and that we could be sued.

There were all kinds of sabers being rattled at us, but for us, it was a matter of principle. In my opinion, we're being ripped off and steered toward a financial arrangement that was definitely not to our benefit. We reached out to a number of other financial institutions and it was unanimous, absolutely nobody agreed with the situation that we were in. They thought it was appalling that we would end up in that sort of a trap at the end, and being threatened. Interestingly enough, that came from our real estate agent who's representing us.

HomeDirect was the one that saved our butts. I'm a vet and when I talked to their reps, they said, "You need to do a VA loan. You'd be foolish not to do a VA loan." I said, "They never said anything about that." The Realtor just literally blew it off and said, "No, it's not a good deal." We do know that the Realtor don't get as much money when you do a VA loan. VA is a little bit more pro-consumers and they're friendlier toward the veterans.

HomeDirect steered us in the right direction. When we went to Kent at HomeDirect, he had the right questions, he explained exactly what he wanted without any confusion about what he needed and if I had any questions or concerns, he would help me through it. He was there, he was hands-on and he was in constant contact. There was no gap in the process. He was right there all the way right up to the end. He not only got us everything, he got us the VA loan within two weeks. That was almost miraculous in itself and it was right on the spot. It was the best experience. We bought and sold houses over the years. I'm 77 and this is, by far, was the best experience we've ever had with a mortgage broker. The experience was absolutely perfect. We were very happy with the situation.

When we sold our house in Florida, we live in our RV in the summer. And so, we were doing e-signing all the way across the country. We would be e-signing on our computer's documents, getting the documents copied, sent and downloaded from the internet, and then printed, copied and sent. Even though a lot of people our age are afraid of computers, this is the age we're in and it worked beautifully right up to the end although there were a couple of situations where the software was incompatible and we had to use a different method to get our result. We did it all electronically and it was wonderful.

The rate and terms were very good. The rate that we were being forced into was almost 5.2% and the average at that time was 4.6%, nationwide. It was between 4.4%-4.6% here in Vegas, so that was very competitive. We could have gotten a 4.125%, but because we got assistance with our closing from the VA at 4.25%, we got 4.25%. Right now in this market, you'd be very happy with a 4.25%. Overall, I had a very good experience working with HomeDirect Mortgage and I would recommend them to anybody.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeDirect Mortgage?

Original review: June 16, 2019

I was purchasing a new home. And getting a conventional loan from HomeDirect was very painless. I Google searched up-to-date financing rates. And in order to do so, they have sent me to a HomeDirect website. In order to see those rates, I had to put in my phone number, which I usually don't do. But I put in my phone number to see the rates. And then, I was contacted by a mortgage officer from HomeDirect shortly after that. I liked their lower origination cost and closing fees. And the online application process did not take very long.

As far as receiving the application, then me completing the application, and then receiving an approval for the application, that process was short. It took three hours, but it was within the same day. The underwriting process was fairly average. We didn't need to request an extension at all, so the underwriting was able to be done within the schedule of the closing. All in all, I don't know how the process could get much more convenient. HomeDirect has their portal available, where one is able to upload documents straight to the portal. And those documents are shared both with me, the applicant, and the mortgage officer. The terms are good, too. They had very competitive rate terms. And what I learned was there were sort of ways to rework the loan within a certain time period after closing. There was no early payoff fee. Working with HomeDirect secured me a loan to buy a new home, so I'm living in a new home.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I had an adjustable-rate mortgage which the interest rate was going up. I refinanced with HomeDirect because of their interest rate and the online application process was fine and easy enough. However, the application and underwriting process took way too long. I made my application beginning or middle of March and I didn’t close until the very end of May. There were some significant delays because of the bank but that might have been a one-time thing.

Other than that, I worked with Tyson and he did a great job. He was very straightforward and I got the feeling that he was an honest guy and he was trying his best to do a good job. I was asking him if the market rate drops during my application process, whether my interest rate would drop, and he tried to find out whether that would happen or not. As for the rate, it seemed that the market rate was below what I finally got. But Tyson told me that that may have been because it assumes at least a 1.0 charge and I was going for the lowest cost rate. He got me the best rate I could get.

Original review: June 15, 2019

HomeDirect has been with us for quite some time now. We did refinancing through them and the application process took about four weeks. The gentleman that did it all for us was great. We never had to worry about anything. He emailed everything that was going on and sometimes daily, so I have no complaints. All my questions were answered. I’m 85 years old, and I know when I’ve been treated right. They really did good stuff. Everybody that I had contact with was great. I’ve never had to call up to complain about anything.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I went for a VA loan with HomeDirect. I've been talking to Matt, the guy who helped me, for about 2 years now on a couple of purchases and he's been great to work with. He's easy to get in touch with. He's very responsive and very quick to handle things. Securing the loan was a simple process. Matt called me and did my application over the phone. The entire process took a few days at the most to complete. It's probably the easiest mortgage I've done and I've had like 8 mortgages. The rate and the terms are very good too.

Original review: June 13, 2019

We chose to contact and apply to HomeDirect Mortgage based solely on its impressive reviews and very good internet general surveys of online mortgage companies. Until the moment we decided to pause our thinking and ultimately change the direction of our application; the impression given to us after that decision left us frustrated and perhaps thankful we didn't do business with them. Based on fact and not interpretation we simply sent written notice that we changed our minds of our application. We took for granted that would be the end of our possible association until receiving an email response just short of demanding an explanation.

It wasn't enough for the loan officer to accept our decision but to process yet another mortgage offer. One that was completely different from our original application while despite having knowledge of our application cancellation; processed our $600 appraisal fee. Although it has been acknowledged from the loan officer confirming the processing of our appraisal fee refund request; it never occurred. If one looks back at prior reviews related to this circumstance; it appears to be a very concerning business practice as one customer stated waiting 5 months before receiving their refund. This experience impresses upon us as a very bad commentary for a very good financial institution. I place full blame on the loan officer's ill-advised, zealot-like inconsiderate professionalism.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I currently have HomeDirect and I’ve been with them for three years. I got a VA loan to do some remodeling to my house. I contacted the person I dealt with the last time and then, they set everything up. The online application was quick and easy, and took only about half an hour of my time. Then, from start to close, it was a month and a half, which was fine. It was mostly just waiting on the appraisal. Aspen, the person who processed the loan, answered all my questions quickly via email and I felt very comfortable working with him. HomeDirect gave me what I wanted on the rates and terms. I had 3.75 but the rates went up in the last three years, and I still got a 4%. They did the underwriting for 20 years instead of 30, so I could still pay it off sooner than what my original loan was. We finally got the payout and we just now started working on our house.

Original review: June 13, 2019

HomeDirect had the best rate I could find for the lender credit offered. But my loan officer, Matt, had a misunderstanding on the lender credit. He was under the impression that the lender credit could only be applied up to the closing cost when in fact, it's the actual amount of the credit. It's a dollar amount. So that delayed closing a little bit but I finally got the full credit after I delayed the closing. Except for that misunderstanding, it all went pretty well. I did a refinance and the application process was easy. It was pretty much what I expected with the documentation. From application to closing, it took about a month and they were very responsive. It was easy to get ahold of anybody if I had questions or concerns.

Original review: June 12, 2019

We wanted a home and we were able to work out a great deal with HomeDirect. The process was simple. The actual application was quick but it took a couple of days to get approved. My mom, as the realtor, had a little bit of interaction with the rep and she got frustrated with something. But other than that, they were prompt in answering emails or returning calls. Overall, we're happy with our experience HomeDirect and to be in our home.

Original review: June 11, 2019

We were buying a home and HomeDirect was recommended. In closing the loan, they kept very open lines of communication and made it very clear and easy to understand throughout the whole process. The lady we worked with, Julie, was good and explained a lot of stuff to us. When we had questions, she was always very quick to get back to us when we wanted to talk to her. So, that was the best part. I was very pleased with how it all went down with HomeDirect.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I was recommended to HomeDirect Mortgage from other people's experience. I looked into them and they seemed like a good company to go with. I got direct contact for Julie and reached out directly to her. I explained what my situation was, what I was looking for and why I was looking then I gave the referral and she got my information. We worked from there and I was impressed with how much she was willing to work with us as the lendee and how easy she was to get a hold of. She really seemed authentic in wanting to help get us not only just a good loan, but also a good experience. We were extremely comfortable working with her. She answered all my questions and it would seem like she gave me an honest and correct answer.

The loan was for a new home purchase and the process was fast. It took about four days. We were just working with the person, keeping them in the loop, and it worked out. It was smooth. I got a really good rate too. At least, no one was able to beat it when I shopped around. I was real happy with that part. The online portal for making payments isn't the greatest or the most intuitive. But other than that, the experience has been great. Working with HomeDirect Mortgage made the lending process really easy and intuitive.

Original review: June 10, 2019

HomeDirect had better rates than all the other banks I talked to and they were easy to work with. They were efficient with everything and helpful. We were buying a new home and HomeDirect made the experience a lot more comfortable than what I've had in the past. There was a lot less headache than dealing with other banks. The process for the FHA loan was smooth and everything was good. It took less than a month. The online application process was easy and straightforward, and the lending officer I worked with, Joshua, was outstanding. He was understanding and highly experienced. He broke everything down for me and his response was adequate. On every question I had, he promised to give me the answer within a matter of 24 hours from the time I asked.

Original review: June 9, 2019

I got a 30-year refi with HomeDirect and the process of getting it was good. The application and underwriting process was easy and took six weeks from start to finish. The rep was very good, attentive and completely addressed everything to satisfaction. Also, we’re happy with the rate of the mortgage.

Original review: June 9, 2019

I was refinancing and I went with HomeDirect for the low closing cost. The application process was straightforward. I just had to do some extra calls, but it was manageable. The documentation was easy to receive and update. Everything took around 20 days which I thought was a pretty decent time. I was working with an agent, Matt, and he was really nice to deal with. He had clear communication. I was getting some different price from others and I was quoting him, and he was nice to oblige. Everything went smoothly and I would recommend HomeDirect.

Down the line, I would like to refinance again. I have the option of going with others but I have been through so much so I was thinking it will be easy to refinance with HomeDirect again. Because the rates are going down, I would like to do it in a couple of months but Matt said that he cannot work with me until 4 to 5 months. Also, I paid my 6 months of taxes with the previous company and also through HomeDirect. I don't know if that could have been avoided. I'm working with Matt to find out if the title company already paid the taxes because my previous company only paid the taxes for six months.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I purchased a new house and my lender set me up with HomeDirect. The lender that I went with was a friend and he got me a better deal compared to another place that I was looking at. HomeDirect got the application and underwriting done in about a month, which was really quick. They were great because we ended up doing for sale by owner. That was my first time doing that and they were super helpful the whole time with the questions that I had. Ryan, the rep I dealt with, was so prompt with getting back to me, plus I have his cellphone number. He would always answer any question even on weekends and evenings. I was 100% comfortable working with him. He was very knowledgeable and was able to get me other resources that I needed when I asked, like setting me up with a new insurance person.

The last time I bought a house, I felt like I was always looking for stuff. I had to do that this time as well, but Ryan had it set up. I knew exactly what I needed and he didn't come back a million times to say that I also needed this and that. He was on top of what I needed, so I didn't have to go to the bank 900 times to get stuff. HomeDirect made my life super easy.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I was buying a new house and at the time that I was doing my research, HomeDirect had the cheaper interest rate. I reached out to them and they responded. They told me what I needed to send in and we went from there. It was easy to apply and they were quick to respond. Everything was done within 30 days. The rep was quick to figure things out when we got into a bit of a jam. He was very good to work with. He seemed to be very well-experienced and he knew what he was doing.

Original review: June 7, 2019

We were looking for a new house and got a conventional loan from HomeDirect due to the benefits that we got by working for BOK Financial. We have on our internet bank site for employees a portal for employee loans, so we submitted an inquiry through there and my mortgage banker emailed me. Most of the stuff was done through email and he set up a portal for us to be able to submit any documents that he needed. He was great to work with. When we were finished, I sent emails to his boss and his boss’ boss telling them how great of a job he did. It was smooth sailing the whole time. They were better than competitors and we were happy with them.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I lacked funding and needed money for a new home purchase. We got a couple of different estimates on rates and once I emailed a representative of HomeDirect based on a recommendation, simultaneously emailing other companies for similar estimates, she had the best rate. So, we went with a pre-approval. Once we found a house, we locked in the rate, under contract, and we e-signed docs. Other than that, we used email and phone. I was impressed with the speed and efficiency with which Julie, our contact through 90% of the process, got back to us every time we had a question. I felt good working with her and I had no issues.

Original review: June 6, 2019

We wanted to refinance to a lower rate and because of past relationships, we went with HomeDirect. The application and underwriting process took a couple of weeks and I was impressed with the follow-up made by Sam, the rep. I was very comfortable working with him. He gave me options and I didn’t even think about the 20-year until he showed me why it was a better one. He was very knowledgeable in all the products plus, the rates and terms that I received were good. It was a great experience with HomeDirect.

Original review: June 6, 2019

We worked with HomeDirect before when we purchased our home and it was awesome. That was why we decided to use them to refinance. Good brokers are hard to come by for lending. The application process was all easy and pretty standard, and Seth was really on top of everything. He made it super easy like he did last time. I was impressed with his attention to detail. I also don’t do well with people who take their time and Seth is eager to get things moving. I was very comfortable working with him. He’s pretty awesome. I didn’t love the appraiser but that has nothing to do with HomeDirect. From the time we contacted HomeDirect to possibly refinance to the time we closed, it was only three and a half weeks. That wasn’t bad. We got a 30-year VA loan at 4.25%.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I hit the button on Zillow and I was contacted by someone from HomeDirect. We were a first-time home buyer and everything worked out fine with my loan officer. However, the underwriting process was kind of scattered and there was a lot left up in the air. There was a lot of back and forth between the underwriter and the mortgage loan officer, because I would need one thing, then I would need something else, and then I would need something else. So, I couldn't get all the information all at once.

My original loan officer was Ronald and he got laid off when we were going through the process. No one told me about it and I had to ask. I'm assuming I wasn't the only client that Timothy, the rep, had to handle and he had multiple others that just kept asking. He always answered the phone when I called him and for whatever reason, if I didn't, he always got back to me quickly. Everything was good working with him. He was courteous and made sure all my questions were answered. Also, I’m happy with the rate of the mortgage. Working with HomeDirect impacted my life greatly. I have a house now, so that's good.

Original review: June 4, 2019

HomeDirect was recommended to us for our VA loan and the online application process made it simple and it was user-friendly. It took 10 minutes. Their reps worked very professionally and diligently to help me close the loan. Julie, the rep I worked with, helped me with any questions I had and didn’t leave me questioning. I had questions about the loan and she broke it down on a separate document, identifying what cost meant, like the technical terms. I was very comfortable working with her. HomeDirect helped me buy my home fast and easy when I was in a hurry for the military. So, I benefited a lot. It’s the way to go when applying for a mortgage.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I was buying a house and I liked the competitive rates of HomeDirect. We just happened to make the right move at the right time for when the rates were lower. Tyson, the rep, was friendly and seemed to be knowledgeable when it came to his position, and the trends and factors for getting us approved. We felt we could trust him and work with him. He stayed in contact with us or helped us find a resolution. We got a conventional loan and it was easy to use the online feature during the application process. It wasn't challenging and it was very user-friendly. We were a new build and we were waiting on some things so the application and underwriting process took about 30 days. But I was comfortable with the process probably because of my prior lending experiences.

Original review: June 2, 2019

My real estate agent told me the rate that she was recently offered by HomeDirect, and it was a little lower than some of the other I heard around. Their application process was fairly simple and efficient. I worked with Timothy and he spent quite a bit of time on the phone with me before I applied, answering some questions I had. He was incredibly responsive to all of my phone calls and emails.

Original review: June 2, 2019

I wanted to refinance to lower the interest rate and at that time, HomeDirect was giving the best interest rate. The agent was also very responsive. After I reached out to the guy and left a voicemail, he reached back out to me and we went through the process for an approval. Then we locked the interest rate right away and proceeded with the standard process. I provided all the documents in a matter of weeks and that was how we ended up closing the refinancing process.

The process took about a month. Most of the information was filled by the agent himself. But I also went to the website, which was pretty straightforward and convenient. I created a login account and filled out a bunch of information. This is my fourth time through the mortgage process and HomeDirect is the most convenient I’ve filed with so far. The process was the smoothest compared to other processes I had gone through. The agent with whom I was dealing with for the entire process was very nice too. He was on top of the things.

Initially, we moved very fast but during the closing time period, things were a little bit delayed and there was a little bit of skepticism at the end of the process. There's a closing amount and I would need to hand over a cashier's check. A person contacted me and then we signed all the documents right before the closing. Then she said we could hand over the check to the person from the Connecticut escrow company and she would mail it to them. But it wasn’t very clear. I didn't know very well the person with whom I was meeting and she didn’t provide me any ID. I was handing over a cashier's check to somebody and there was a chance of being involved in fraud activities. I've heard a lot of stories about having frauds during the closing process. My wife and I were in a little panic mode.

This was a big amount we were handing over to somebody and we don't know that person. She was not even associated with either HomeDirect or the escrow company. She was just hired by the escrow company and the escrow company asked me to hand over my check to her. During the earlier process, the escrow company was in town and you go to the office in person and then they hand over the check. At least you know that things may not go wrong because you know the location and you meet the people face to face. You know they are a legit company. This time, the escrow company was in Connecticut. Everything is remotely handled, which is fine, but with the way the online fraud activities are going on, people are losing trust. Having a physical location makes people feel more comfortable with it being such a large transaction.

There was some skepticism on whether HomeDirect is legit or not. This is my fourth process and we never had this kind of experience where everything was remotely handled and we never got in touch with any physical person or physical location. They should provide some sort of evidence to the customer, like their location and their license number. Some sort of confidence needs to be given to a subscriber. We didn’t end up handing over the check to that person because we didn’t know her very well. But we got all the paperwork fine then we asked the escrow company to send us their wire transfer information. So it was one more day of delay but we eventually wire-transferred then we closed the process.

But after handing over the money, there wasn’t any follow-up. I was expecting somebody from HomeDirect to reach out to me, either through a phone call or an email, saying that they had received the fund, that everything with the refinancing process was complete and how much we would be expecting for the first month. But there wasn’t any communication. So I was a little skeptical then as well. I was wondering whether I really did the correct job. After a few days, I reached out and asked whether we were finished. The rep told me that our fund was in our account and not to worry about it. Those last four days during the closing time was a little inconvenient for me and my family.

Original review: June 1, 2019

We were making a new home purchase and at the time, HomeDirect had the best rate. The application process was also super easy and smooth. I did most of it over the phone and from end to end, including all the paperwork that I had to email in, it took a couple of weeks. But that was more on my end. I had to do some stuff. The only hiccup that we encountered was close to closing. I was trying to adjust my APR to have the lending credits cover all my closing costs, and the closing cost came in a little higher than expected. But by the time I got that information, we didn't have time to adjust my closing cost. On the other hand, they were very personable. Erica was the representative I primarily saw and she was always available. I would call on the weekends and evenings because there were so many things and she was always open to talking and answering my questions. I would definitely recommend HomeDirect Mortgage.

HomeDirect Mortgage expert review by Michele Lerner

This direct lender is a division of Bank of Oklahoma Financial. It uses the latest technology like an online automated application system to help clients get the money and information they need as efficiently as possible.

• Online application: The online application makes applying for a mortgage easy. With a bit of information, you can submit an application, and a loan officer will contact you directly.

• Mortgage calculators: There are several online calculators free to use. If you have questions about your principle, taxes, APR, refinancing and more, these calculators can help.

• VA loans: This company helps veterans apply for VA loans with specialists trained to make sure you get the service you need.

• Mortgage basics resources: You can access numerous resources that include breakdowns of mortgage terms and costs as well as some FAQs on the website.

• Part of BOKF: This lender subsidiary of the Bank of Oklahoma Financial. This means that they are backed by a multibillion dollar financial company, ensuring your finances are in capable hands.

• Best for: first time homebuyers, people looking for mortgage help and veterans in need of VA loans.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

HomeDirect Mortgage Company Information