Call toll free
4.72/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

HomeDirect Mortgage is an online only ‘direct’ lender that specializes in obtaining home loans at great rates for our clients. Our automated online application process will save you time and money. HomeDirect has experienced mortgage bankers to help guide you every step of the mortgage process. Contact us today to learn more about HomeDirect Mortgage.

HomeDirect Mortgage, a division of BOKF, NA. Member FDIC. Equal Housing Lender.

HomeDirect Mortgage Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

HomeDirect Mortgage Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: June 2, 2019

I wanted to refinance to lower the interest rate and at that time, HomeDirect was giving the best interest rate. The agent was also very responsive. After I reached out to the guy and left a voicemail, he reached back out to me and we went through the process for an approval. Then we locked the interest rate right away and proceeded with the standard process. I provided all the documents in a matter of weeks and that was how we ended up closing the refinancing process.

The process took about a month. Most of the information was filled by the agent himself. But I also went to the website, which was pretty straightforward and convenient. I created a login account and filled out a bunch of information. This is my fourth time through the mortgage process and HomeDirect is the most convenient I’ve filed with so far. The process was the smoothest compared to other processes I had gone through. The agent with whom I was dealing with for the entire process was very nice too. He was on top of the things.

Initially, we moved very fast but during the closing time period, things were a little bit delayed and there was a little bit of skepticism at the end of the process. There's a closing amount and I would need to hand over a cashier's check. A person contacted me and then we signed all the documents right before the closing. Then she said we could hand over the check to the person from the Connecticut escrow company and she would mail it to them. But it wasn’t very clear. I didn't know very well the person with whom I was meeting and she didn’t provide me any ID. I was handing over a cashier's check to somebody and there was a chance of being involved in fraud activities. I've heard a lot of stories about having frauds during the closing process. My wife and I were in a little panic mode.

This was a big amount we were handing over to somebody and we don't know that person. She was not even associated with either HomeDirect or the escrow company. She was just hired by the escrow company and the escrow company asked me to hand over my check to her. During the earlier process, the escrow company was in town and you go to the office in person and then they hand over the check. At least you know that things may not go wrong because you know the location and you meet the people face to face. You know they are a legit company. This time, the escrow company was in Connecticut. Everything is remotely handled, which is fine, but with the way the online fraud activities are going on, people are losing trust. Having a physical location makes people feel more comfortable with it being such a large transaction.

There was some skepticism on whether HomeDirect is legit or not. This is my fourth process and we never had this kind of experience where everything was remotely handled and we never got in touch with any physical person or physical location. They should provide some sort of evidence to the customer, like their location and their license number. Some sort of confidence needs to be given to a subscriber. We didn’t end up handing over the check to that person because we didn’t know her very well. But we got all the paperwork fine then we asked the escrow company to send us their wire transfer information. So it was one more day of delay but we eventually wire-transferred then we closed the process.

But after handing over the money, there wasn’t any follow-up. I was expecting somebody from HomeDirect to reach out to me, either through a phone call or an email, saying that they had received the fund, that everything with the refinancing process was complete and how much we would be expecting for the first month. But there wasn’t any communication. So I was a little skeptical then as well. I was wondering whether I really did the correct job. After a few days, I reached out and asked whether we were finished. The rep told me that our fund was in our account and not to worry about it. Those last four days during the closing time was a little inconvenient for me and my family.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 21, 2019

I got a VA loan from HomeDirect Mortgage. It was my first time ever buying a house and their steps in getting a loan were pretty straightforward. It was easier and less daunting than I thought it was gonna be. Their online application process was convenient, easy to use, and easy to follow. The application and underwriting process took two months, but I know it because my house was new construction. I had planned to wait until the house close (GRAM - CLOSED). I was happy with the process and it was very good.

The agent who I worked with was Tim. He was able to explain all of the steps and he explained the math behind the numbers. I appreciated that he kind of dumbed it down when I needed to. He explained it very clearly in a way that I could understand, and he's made me feel good about it. He seemed like a very intelligent individual who wasn’t trying to take advantage of me in any way. He truly made it seem like he was on my side, so I felt comfortable. He was also very responsive. I could get hold of him either through email, text, or phone call, and he never took more than a day to get back to me.

Home-buying is a very stressful process, but working with HomeDirect Mortgage made it easier and relieve (GRAM - RELIEVED) some stress. I had a very positive experience and I'm happy with them. I couldn’t be happier with my service or the rates that I got. I felt confident that I was getting the best rate available. I would highly recommend my friends to use HomeDirect Mortgage.

NIII:
A friend recommended HomeDirect Mortgage to me.
I was working with the real estate agent who found the house and HomeDirect was a mortgage firm that my real estate agent had an experience with. I called around to several lending companies and HomeDirect was one of the big-name ones. I ended up comparing all their notes and the personalities of the lenders, and I ended up using HomeDirect based on that.
It was all positive dealing with the reps.
The lending process was very good [and really smooth], and I was happy with it.
His expertise and quality of service were phenomenal, and I was very happy. I would recommend him to anybody else, as I already have to my son.

---

REMOD:

I was doing an upgrade appointment for a house and that prompted me to apply for a mortgage. A friend recommended HomeDirect Mortgage to me. Also, I was working with the real estate agent who found the house and HomeDirect was a mortgage firm that my real estate agent had an experience with. I called around to several lending companies and HomeDirect was one of the big-name ones. I ended up comparing all the notes and the personalities of the lenders, and I ended up using HomeDirect based on that. I got a VA loan from them.

The steps in securing a loan from them were straightforward. It was easier and less daunting than I thought it was gonna be. The online application process was convenient and easy to use and follow. The lending process was very good and really smooth. It took two months, but that was because my house was a new construction and I had planned to wait until the house closed.

It was all positive dealing with the customer service representatives. Tim, the rep that I worked with, was able to explain all of the steps, the reason behind all of them, and the math behind the numbers. It was a complicated process. I appreciated that he dumbed it down when I needed that, and he explained it very clearly in a way that I could understand. He has made me feel good about it. I felt confident and comfortable working with him. He seemed like a very intelligent individual who wasn’t trying to take advantage of me in any way and he truly made it seem like he was on my side. He was also very responsive. It was great that I could get hold of him either through email, text, or phone call. He never took more than a day to get back to me so that was very good. His expertise and quality of service were phenomenal and I would recommend him to anybody else, as I already have to my son.

Home-buying is a very stressful process, but HomeDirect made it easier and relieved some of that stress. I'm happy with the rates and the terms of the mortgage that I received. I felt confident that I was getting the best rate available. It wasn’t the best timing as mortgage rates have been lower, but I felt like I did the best that I could. I couldn’t be happier with my mortgage and the service. I had a very positive experience with HomeDirect and I would highly recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Our Realtor put us in contact with Ronald of HomeDirect and kinda went through it that way. We considered other lenders but he was quicker to get what we wanted and he was able to provide us the best rate upfront. Ronald was very easy to get in touch with. If we couldn't get him to answer right then, he usually called back pretty soon afterward.

This is our first time buying a house so the entire thing was a trial by fire, and every step through it was marred with some sort of ridiculous bureaucracy that I’m not used to 'cause I'm in the army. There was quite a bit of paperwork I needed to fill out. I bought plenty of things before and buying a house was probably could have been the most absolutely painful thing in the world for us. For somebody to sit there and tell me exactly how much my mortgage is gonna be for a month was just absolutely ridiculous. But our Realtors and Ronald were really good. They made it as painless as possible although there was still a lot of red tape to go through no matter how easy they tried to make it. It wasn't anything on our part or on their part, it was just the process itself. It was going through the motions.

I'd like to sit and write it out in person and I'm not a fan of doing things online. However, due to the distance, it wasn't feasible. We bought a house in Georgia while I was living in Louisiana, and our mortgage is out of Oklahoma where a VA coming from Washington, DC. So, the online was literally the only way to do it other than mailing the document or we wouldn't have gotten the process done in 35 days.

I would have liked to have seen a list of, "This is how it works.” Show me the brass tacks, almost like a flowchart, instead of showing me the closing documentation which everything is categorized by number and then explaining to me by number what each piece of it is and where each individual or fee went to. It seemed like every time I turned around, there was some sort of fee that--not necessarily we always had to pay. Sometimes, the seller had to pay it or pulled out of the good interest money.

They could just give me a piece of paper or two, tell me everybody that's involved, and where they're coming out of, because there were a couple of times where I saw there was a charge coming out of some other location, and that was some obscure fee that we had to go through this guy to get that kind of deal. A lot of that would probably have been easier had we all been able to sit down in one location and go over everything.

There were some errors the day before closing that we picked up out of the CDO, that had we all been able to just sit down and talk about it, we would have seen it. It was later explained to us it wasn't an error, but there was some miscommunication. It had us down for an interest rate of 4.75% and when we explained that we were gonna buy down to 4, which was the lowest we could buy down to, they said okay and that would be the rate we'd get on our closing document. The day before closing comes around, they said no and that needed to reflect what we were gonna buy it down to. Our Realtor called Ronald and they had a conversation. Towards the end, communication needs to be more, rather than less, as opposed to any other point in the process.

All of this was kinda new to me. It took me a while to wrap my head around that my interest rate was something that was locked in at that time whatever the market would say it would be, but I could only buy it down so much. I find that kind of ridiculous and that to me doesn't make any sense. That was never really explained to me why I couldn't do that. I had to go do my own research, which a lot of this was me doing my own research. They should be upfront and maybe have a brief explanation as to why I couldn't buy down past 4. But it was more of a pleasant experience than it could have been. The lender was very professional and really helped us through the process. All the comments I just made aside, they did actually a really good job, and we appreciate it.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I like the fact that HomeDirect doesn't sell the mortgage and that is one key factor why I went with it after my research. I spent 30 plus years with my company before I retired, and I had a mortgage with my company moving every three years. I also had my mortgage with my company’s credit union and they sold the mortgage, and it really pissed me off. Also, HomeDirect was expedient in their response. They did a good job with the online application process and I was really most impressed with. The person that got back to me, Dan, was more professional and actually followed up with a phone call, which personalized the service, which I liked. I looked up his credentials online and in doing that, I wanted to make sure that before I gave all my personal information, that I wasn’t gonna be scammed. So, I was giving questions through the process to make sure that I was not being scammed.

He filled everything out. All I had to do was review and sign off on it. There were only a few minor mistakes and I could just go back and tell him that he needed to do this on the review process, and he would correct it and send it back. And then, I would review it and electronically sign it. There were three pieces of paperwork that were not in the electronic paperwork and at that point, I sold my house in Houston and I was in a build. I didn’t have my home office and so I couldn't fax, print out, or easily sign and get the stuff back to him. I would have preferred everything electronically where I could’ve reviewed it. Also, we had to do all of the stuff twice and that was a little burdensome. I didn’t know why it had to be like that.

The process started right around June and it didn’t finalize ‘til December because it was a new home build. With a new home build, there are a lot of steps that go through it that needed to be done. And so, the communication loop between Dan, the builder, and the sales agent were dropped quite a few times, and I had to run around and manage that, and I didn’t like that. If I didn't do that and become more of a mini project manager and run around and get things done and make sure that everybody was in contact, then it would delay the closing even further than it was delayed.

The closing became delayed because the assessor didn't call out the appraiser. Once the assessor called up the appraiser, he didn't get back to us that there were problems with the appraiser. It was a minor thing that could have been handled right at the home site and buttoned up. Also, we didn’t know there was a 72-hour wait time before the closing and that wasn’t communicated back. That was all done on a Friday and so that clock didn’t start ‘til Monday morning. The appraiser came back the second time on a Friday afternoon, turned around and came back and redid it. That could have happened two weeks prior and we could have made the original closing date. HomeBridge just needed to be able to wrap up all the communication ‘cause it was dropped and the personal touch was not quite there.

In hindsight, if I would have done this loan differently, I would have gone to a local place and worked with a bank just because I would have had a person. But I got along with Dan really well. If he would have been here, I would have worked with him. I’m not complaining about them, it’s just that there were a lot of little things that couldn't be done over the internet. You have to be able to go in and develop that relationship and go in and take care of things, and sometimes, this is one of them. When you’re running into a wall, you just have to be able to get in the car and take care of it. However, the rate and terms I got were pretty good. I was waiting and waiting, and then interest rates were going up, so I went ahead and locked in. Then Dan got me a little bit of a lower percentage. I’m a veteran, so I went through the VA and that part was good.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I was looking on Zillow and it asked, "Are you a veteran?" I clicked "Yes" and Mark from HomeDirect reached out to me based on that inquiry. Mark was very open, he answered a lot of my questions and he seemed very knowledgeable. Being that I am a first-time homeowner, he was very patient. I stuck with him because I felt comfortable.

I initially spoke with Mark about what I was looking for and he asked me a couple of preliminary questions about income. When I was settled on what kind of home I was looking for and that I knew I was ready to start the process, he sent me the application through email and everything came back pretty quickly. Anything that he needed after that, he requested and we worked very well in getting him additional information.

HomeDirect was very easy to work with in the sense of my income because all I really had was my disability benefit. But they never made it seem like I didn't make enough. I worked on my credit score a little bit before I went through with the loan. I waited about a month or two from the initial contact with Mark. He continued to keep in touch with me, he knew my plans, and he offered to give me tips on things that I could do to increase my credit before I filed the initial application.

From there, I followed their lead on extra paperwork. My broker said they were gonna need a bunch of paperwork so when I told Mark that I wanted to be proactive and asked him to give me a list of everything I needed to compile to make sure he had everything, he gave me that list ahead of time. He was able to answer future questions that we had to understand. He said, "It's not set in stone, but this is what will determine your interest rate. This is the type of plans we have. This is what you could be looking, I'm putting down."

When we had one deal fall through, it was really great that Mark was really encouraging during that time. He told me that these things happen and not to worry about it. I told Mark that I needed some time because I was really discouraged and he told me to take my time and to get myself together. They'd be ready when I'd be ready to get back on the ball. And they absolutely were. When I had questions about how the interest rate worked, Mark he told me that from day to day, it could fluctuate. They could lock it in for this amount of time and there was an extra fee to lock it in for extra days. He explained that to me. All in all, it worked fine.

Once it started getting closer to the closing and the underwriting part of it, Tony came in. He asked more questions and he helped me take care of that part. He was Mark's assistant and he dealt specifically with the underwriting portion. From beginning to end, when I initially started looking without having the application process, it only took me six months all in all. From what I heard in some horror stories, it was pretty doggone good.

The only thing that was offputting was when I began to sign papers, it was with Bank of Oklahoma. I was a little bit thrown off by that. If you take the time to read the paperwork, that's just the bank who finances HomeDirect. Sometimes, you have one company dealing with you and then they sell your businesses to another company and you don't know that.

Soon after closing, someone from the Finance Department reached out through email, gave me an online account number and walked me through that. It was upfront, mentioned about the monthly payment, and how much interest was gonna be added with the penalties. I really love that there was no penalty to pay it off early. When I purchased my car, I was not even aware that I could get penalized for paying it off early. With HomeDirect, I found out that there was no such penalty. They gave me an amortization table so I knew exactly how my payments would break down for the next 30 years. They were very efficient. I was just able to e-sign things. With the whole system that they had, I got an alert when each step was completed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeDirect Mortgage?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I had a lot of equity in my house, and I wanted to regain my VA certificate, so I went from VA to conventional. I went with a fixed rate program in HomeDirect because they had my old mortgage and it would be easier. It was a good process, and the application and underwriting took 5 minutes. I called them up and said, “Hey, can you switch us over to conventional?” The originator, Jim, put me on hold for 3 minutes and then it was done. The rest of it was just processing. He stuck with it from the beginning and there wasn’t a whole lot of personnel changes, so that was good too. My experience was efficient, effective, professional, and timely.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

I got a 30-year fixed conventional loan and the process was very straightforward and easy to understand. The online application was great. I wish even more banks would do it that way. For somebody who's busy with kids and a demanding job, it's definitely a preferred process. The application process was quick while the underwriting process, which was on the bank, took a month. Still, it was super smooth and I felt good about the way HomeDirect worked with me. I had to do a lot of the legwork myself, but I was willing to do that in order to close the loan and get the rate. Also, the rate was highly competitive and the terms were transparent.

My loan officer was Steve was a really good guy, approachable and really honest to me. He was willing to work with me and he returned my calls and emails in a timely manner. I was very comfortable working with him. It was probably the fifth or sixth house that I purchased recently. He's a pro and I felt like I was prepared to talk to him. Now, I have spoken with people who ask, "How did you get that rate? How did you close?" and I told them that it's a no BS way to go about getting a loan as long as one has everything in order as far as what is needed to take part in the application process. It's painless.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

We have a great experience overall with HomeDirect Mortgage. Our loan officer is very wonderful and responsive, and he took all his time to answer our questions and concerns. They came and confirm before we closed the loan after we locked our rate. The rate was lower as well, and we asked them to give us a little bit lesser, but we already have the lowest. I understand if they lock it and the rate goes up, maybe they can keep it that way. But if it goes down, that would be great. And I would be happier if they can go down too.

I got an early move-in and my home is fine. I did not ask for a renovation but I’m spending a lot of money trying to put in upgrades. So, I want to reach out to our loan officer to see if they can give us compensation for the renovation, and then we add it to the mortgage. Other than that, we’re very happy and I already referred HomeDirect to a few people including a couple of family members who are looking for loans.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I had researched HomeDirect online and they were the lowest quote that came back to us. I refinanced with them and the process took a bit of time. We started in the middle of June, and we closed at the end of August. The rep we dealt with was great and attentive. I call on weekends and after business hours, and he always answers. He gave his personal cell phone if I ever had any questions, and I always thought about questions after I was done talking to him. My friends that ended up refinancing with another company got a 0.25% difference lower. But other than that, we still saved a lot a month. Overall, I’ve already recommended a couple of people.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

I used USAA about 6 years ago. USAA also became terrible, so I never went back to them again. I came across Matt from HomeDirect and right away, it was a really good experience. I've used Matt for 5 loans already and our interactions have been great. I had a mortgage for a new home purchase and the rate and terms were competitive. I turned one buddy, a retired air force guy, over to Matt, and he got a refi through Matt. The guy I bought the house from, who was a retired Marine colonel, got Matt's number and is looking to call him as well 'cause they're looking to buy a house in North Carolina.

HomeDirect Mortgage expert review by Michele Lerner

This direct lender is a division of Bank of Oklahoma Financial. It uses the latest technology like an online automated application system to help clients get the money and information they need as efficiently as possible.

• Online application: The online application makes applying for a mortgage easy. With a bit of information, you can submit an application, and a loan officer will contact you directly.

• Mortgage calculators: There are several online calculators free to use. If you have questions about your principle, taxes, APR, refinancing and more, these calculators can help.

• VA loans: This company helps veterans apply for VA loans with specialists trained to make sure you get the service you need.

• Mortgage basics resources: You can access numerous resources that include breakdowns of mortgage terms and costs as well as some FAQs on the website.

• Part of BOKF: This lender subsidiary of the Bank of Oklahoma Financial. This means that they are backed by a multibillion dollar financial company, ensuring your finances are in capable hands.

• Best for: first time homebuyers, people looking for mortgage help and veterans in need of VA loans.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

HomeDirect Mortgage Company Information