Call toll free
4.79/5
Based on 665 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

HomeDirect Mortgage is an online only ‘direct’ lender that specializes in obtaining home loans at great rates for our clients. Our automated online application process will save you time and money. HomeDirect has experienced mortgage bankers to help guide you every step of the mortgage process. Contact us today to learn more about HomeDirect Mortgage.

HomeDirect Mortgage, a division of BOKF, NA. Member FDIC. Equal Housing Lender.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

836 HomeDirect Mortgage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 19, 2018

I talked to a couple of different lenders and I liked the HomeDirect Mortgage person I talked to. The interaction seemed good and the application process was straightforward. Everything went well, and it was an easy refi. The rates and the terms of the mortgage were good and quite fair. Working with HomeDirect was a little better than it was with the other lender.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 17, 2018

We wanted to buy a house so we looked into applying for a reverse mortgage. Over other lenders, HomeDirect’s rates were the best available and the representative was very available and helpful. His name was Ryan. Ryan went above and beyond to make the process make sense to a new home buyer. He also went out of his way to explain and took a lot of time to educate us on the process overall before we even committed to going with them. And throughout the process, he was very on the ball with paperwork and deadlines and communication. It was a very professional process.

The first time we contacted Ryan was before it was time to fund the loan, so there was a sort of gap in time. Initially, we contacted him in July for a letter in the beginning but we didn’t close until March, until the house was finished since it was a new build. We expected a painful process based on our friend’s experiences but HomeDirect far exceeded all of that. Ryan went beyond what I would've expected any person working in customer service in lending to do. He was very forthright. My experience with HomeDirect had been great and I can’t imagine working with anybody else in the future. We plan to go back to them for the next purchase, specifically to Ryan if he’s still working there.

Original review: June 13, 2018

We bought a house and turned to HomeDirect for mortgage primarily due to their rate. Also, Dick, the mortgage guy, was on his game. We had a tight timeline and he was very confident he could make it. And so, we went for it given their commitment to make the date we had. We filed the paperwork and then within a couple of weeks, we were done with the application. And then we went to escrow which was another two weeks. We closed in less than 24 days; it was really fast. And we didn’t have to do much. We gave Dick the information and he came back with it. He was extremely responsive and got back to us on our concerns within hours, right in the same day. There was a secure transport of information, which made me comfortable. In the three mortgages I've now done, it was the least painful one.

During our home-buying experience, there were so many parts that we were just going back and forth with the realtor. The escrow was a little bit tedious too. The mortgage part was actually the easiest part as it was streamlined. Dick knew the things we needed, and we signed the documents then the rest of it just happened. We got back everything. And then we even got back some extra money. Given all that, we've recommended HomeDirect Mortgage.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I found HomeDirect at that ridiculous LendingTree deal. Mark, HomeDirect's rep, just happened to catch me at the right time but everybody else didn't. When you get flooded with 20 calls within about 10 minutes' time, it's ridiculous. Mark communicated well and I wasn't willing to hang up on him, whereas I was willing to with everybody else. He wasn't pushy, was fair and he kept me on the phone. He did a good job.

The process was simple. I was able to settle everything on my phone. There were only a few times that I had to print something and fax it out. It took a couple of months for the loan to go through because my old home had to sell and I had to take the proceeds from that for the downpayment for the house that I bought. Then the loan had to be underwritten. I had an excellent experience dealing with them. The market fluctuated during the first 30 days in which rates went up and came back down. Mark was able to do a few things and he was able to keep me locked in the entire 60 days at no additional fees.

Original review: June 11, 2018

HomeDirect Mortgage was referred to me. And it was easy to weed everybody else out. HomeDirect's rates were better and I could pick up the phone and call the person I'm working with. I worked with Matt, and he was a good and helpful person. When I first got his information, I contacted him. I sent him the contract from the actual builder, and he pulled me up a quote after he got my credit report, and he tried to help me out as best as he can to give me the best rate. He also gave me options, so I could go with Option A and Option B. He checked back with me the next day and he had what I needed. If I needed anything else or if I had any issues, he was really good and easy to get in contact with.

The application and underwriting process took less than 30 days, and it was done before my closing date. I had another guy that I was working with for almost two months, and Matt managed to give me more information and lock me in faster than he could. He did more in three days than the other guy did in a month. I was talking to about four loan officers before I found Matt, and he happened to be faster and more efficient than the other guys were. It is sad because he's not even in this state, but he's better than everybody else I've met here.

The area that I bought the house is kind of screwing me over, which was nothing that HomeDirect can control. But as far as the rates that they gave me and the company, they're better than anybody else had. Buying a house, trying to find a house, and trying to find the right mortgage were more stressful than I thought they would be, and Matt made it a whole lot easier. Overall, between Matt and Janet, I couldn't ask for a better team. And whenever my folks ask me who they should go with, I'll direct them straight to them. After all the headaches I've had with other lenders, I wouldn't send them to anybody else except HomeDirect.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeDirect Mortgage?

Original review: June 11, 2018

We wanted to consolidate some bills and so we applied for a mortgage. Communicating with HomeDirect Mortgage was fine but we were having some sewer line work done on our house and of course, having a VA loan, they were pretty picky. So, when the inspectors came through they noticed something that needed to be fixed. Another time, the termite inspectors came through and they saw something which the VA missed. I had to get both of those fixed thereafter. Still, I thought the rate they gave me was appropriate.

Original review: June 10, 2018

We were buying our first home and HomeDirect was offering a lower interest rate than other lenders. Getting our mortgage through them was easy. The underwriting process took between 30 to 45 days and our loan officer, Timothy, was awesome. His customer service was excellent and he is why I would do business with HomeDirect Mortgage in the future.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I wanted to cash out a refi and my trusted realtor referred me to HomeDirect Mortgage. Working with them was relatively straightforward and their rates were competitive. They took ownership over communicating what I needed to give to them, updated me along the way and coordinated the whole process out of my hands. They made it really easy for me unlike another lender who was not local to me who made buying a house through them a miserable process. Also, they set and met expectations really consistently. I didn’t feel like at any point they said one thing and then backed out on it or did something that I didn’t anticipate.

Original review: June 9, 2018

We applied for a mortgage to get help in purchasing a new home and we ended up with a VA loan. We chose HomeDirect Mortgage due to their rate. We got a hold of Ron from the Bank of Oklahoma and he guided us through the whole process. Ron was a tremendous help and we filled out papers whenever he would send them. The application and underwriting process took a month and we got good service. My husband, Bob, took cake of investigating all that and he felt we got the best rate possible at that time using VA.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I went with HomeDirect Mortgage to refinance and the rate was great. The online application process was pretty easy and the overall process took a month and half. They were willing to work with the percentage that I wanted and they were willing to keep it at that. Everybody else was probably a percentage point or a percentage point and a half above HomeDirect.

Both of the reps that I worked with were great and they were pretty good. However, the person that talks to the clients should explain who they are because what happened with me was I talked to the HomeDirect guy and I talked to him a couple of days in a row. Originally, when I talked to the HomeDirect guy, he told me the percentage rate that he promised he could get me and I told him what I wanted to get. And then, I talked to him the next day and everything was going fine. He just needed information from me.

Then the same day that afternoon, I talked to somebody else and they pretty much had convinced me that they were from HomeDirect. They asked me for something that I had already sent HomeDirect and I sensed that something ain’t right. HomeDirect had sent me a packet and the guy from the other company asked me to do something that had to do with money. So, I set the phone down and looked at the paperwork that HomeDirect had sent me and I found out that the person that I had been talking to was from a totally different company. And all I said to that other guy was, “You know what? I changed my mind. I’m not gonna do anything.” Other than that, our experience with HomeDirect Mortgage was great and everything worked out fine.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I have several different properties and I have different lenders. With HomeDirect Mortgage, the rep I worked with was to the point and he knew what he was doing. The application process was pretty simple but there wasn’t a lot of communication. I didn’t know a lot of what was going on and there was not a lot of feedback on the process, where we were, and if there where any issues or anything like that. I was kind of wanting a little more of feedback in the process. Also, they told me specifically they were not gonna sell my loan but I got a letter this week that they sold my loan already. It was kind of disappointing because I spent all the time setting up all the stuff on auto pay. And now, I gotta redo it all. It's always a hassle. Other than that, everything was good and I’m pretty satisfied with HomeDirect.

Original review: June 8, 2018

We had a refinancing with HomeDirect Mortgage. They told us what we needed and the process was done very quickly. But there were things we found out incrementally that were not specifically stated to us. Also, we wanted to take out an additional $20,000 and we were told that we would be able to, but it ended up being less than that. It was on the paperwork and we told them what we wanted and as our adviser, we would expect that if we weren’t able to get it, they would have pointed that out to us.

Also, I was rushed to sign the paperwork by 3:00 that day. We didn't want to lose, so we didn’t take the ample time which was our accountability. But it was also the accountability of the person who should be providing customer service because if they need me to rush doing something, then they should point out the salient points. Otherwise, don’t rush me. It was those customer service elements that were missing. There were also some pushiness that I would have preferred not to have, but I don't think that it was mal-intent. It was not the best experience I've had, but overall, we were satisfied with HomeDirect Mortgage.

Original review: June 7, 2018

We purchased a new home and applied for a conventional loan. We went with our adviser who went from another company to HomeDirect Mortgage. We did a 21-day close and it was simple. We got him all the stuff and he was in direct contact with us all the time via email, call and text. There was no stone left unturned, and the experience was very smooth. The rate was also reasonable as far as everybody else goes.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I did my mortgage online with HomeDirect and it took two to three days, and it was simple. The rep was awesome. He did my my process very fast and explained every document very clearly. They did a pretty good job and if I need another home in the future, I will go to them again.

Original review: June 5, 2018

HomeDirect was able to give me lower rates, lower fees and a more streamlined process. I needed a refi in a variable rate my broker Dave was able to help me out a lot. He was accessible by phone, text or email and he was knowledgeable. Refinancing took about 30 days and the processing was perfect.

Original review: June 4, 2018

My experience with the mortgage process was a very good one. Mr. ** was on top of it all the way, very knowledgeable about it and answered all my questions in a very timely manner. I would recommend him very highly.

Original review: June 4, 2018

At 6.75%, we were at a higher interest rate and we wanted to take advantage of a lower interest rate. HomeDirect was one of the first to respond to our online inquiry about a possible refinancing, and Kent, the representative that we dealt with, was very clear as far as what type of cost we're involved in. Plus HomeDirect was one of the lowest costs as far as providing a mortgage refinancing. The application was pretty simple to do as there was frequent communication with Kent. Plus the mechanism that they use as far as uploading documents was very simple and straightforward. We saved about $800 a month as far as the expenses alone. It's given us peace of mind knowing that we’re sitting at a more competitive rate and the interest that we’re paying for the mortgage is more reasonable than what we were in before.

Original review: June 3, 2018

We wanted a smaller rate for our loan. I went to one of those Dollar Tree types where they compete and HomeDirect gave me the best deal. I went through Jesse and his assistant, and they did everything they said. The interaction was done through email and it went smoothly. Our credit is an 800 so the process went fast and everything was done in two to three weeks. I set up an automatic payment, which was simple to do. My mortgage payment is about $1,400 less a month. It’s easy to get online and check my statement out. My HomeDirect experience has been pleasant and I’d recommend them.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I was looking to refinance. I called a bunch of different places trying to find what their lowest VA rate was and HomeDirect had the lowest by far by almost half a percent with the H&R and the other company. So, I went with HomeDirect and the whole process, from the application to when everything was finalized, took three and a half weeks. When I misplaced the paper for the termite inspection, I had to wait for the guy to get back to me if they could email me a different copy so I could send it to HomeDirect. Other than that, it was a very smooth experience. Before they did anything, they would explain it to me and ask me many times if I had any questions. It was perfect and I recommended them to a bunch of friends. Joseph was the rep working with me and he was awesome. If it would be your very first time ever to buy or refinance a house, he'd be the guy you want. He came to my house and explained the stuff to me face-to-face.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I was looking for a home and got a VA loan from HomeDirect Mortgage. It was pretty easy because I've used them back in 2014. We did a 45-day close. However, there was a difficulty in communicating between the mortgage lender and the agents involved. Somebody was usually frustrated because somebody was planning something else out. There should be more communication so that information is clear. Also, the rates were ridiculous and I would have liked to see more options. We tried to lock in a rate for a secondary home and on a Friday, it was one number. Then by Monday, it was a completely different one. There were a lot of inconsistencies and by the time we locked ours in about 30 days later, the rate was already up a full point.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I looked online for lenders and I was very happy with HomeDirect Mortgage. I was okay with the online application process. Jesse, the rep that I dealt with, was really good and the thing that won me over was his knowledge of mortgages. He got everything done in a timely manner and he locked me in quickly, right before the interest rates went up. HomeDirect was very efficient and professional. They did a good job and expedited everything very nicely. I was happy to close with HomeDirect and I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I was getting a competitive and excellent rate from HomeDirect. So, I opted to go and refinance with them. I applied online and all communication was done through email, so, it was kind of convenient for me to do it while I was at work. The loan officer also asked the right questions and answered if I needed to have things answered.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I was purchasing a new home, and I already had a mortgage lender but the rate was really high. Then Dirk sent me an email one morning saying, “Just FYI, VA’s gone down to 3.75", so I told him he had my attention and we went from there. HomeDirect Mortgage has been doing a fantastic job for me. The online application process was fine, although the lending process was really tough on us. But, Dirk did a great job and I love that HomeDirect has their underwriters on-site, so it really helps. It took 30 days to complete the process. I have already recommended them.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I wanted to move to Arizona for the climate and went with HomeDirect for a VA loan. There was some pressure to get the loan done really quick and I was able to get a hold of the person at the time that I needed them from HomeDirect. I got a very good loan rate too. Their online application process worked fine though there were a couple of things in the overall process that they could have done better.

The inspector miscalculated the square-footage of my house. It was 200 square feet smaller than he had put on his report. And he also at the time of the inspection said that we needed to have the water tested which was in an area of 40,000 people and I had a water system. I called the regional VA office and they cleared that up. So, I am having the county re-measure my home and once that’s done and I have the information to verify that it is smaller, I will be putting in a complaint with the VA regarding the inspector. There were also some things going back and forth between my HomeDirect rep and my realtor, which they both could have lightened up a little bit and worked together. But I had a good experience with my rep. He was in Kansas but he was able to answer the questions I had.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I was with U.S. Bank before then HomeDirect Mortgage was suggested by my realtor. I also inquired with other lenders like Quicken Loans and they told me that the rate and terms I was asking for is impossible. Then I asked HomeDirect and Jeffrey gave me the exact rate I wanted without me mentioning it. I was really meant to be with them. I did a refinance and the online application process was fairly easy and good. Application to approval took 30 days exact or so. Jeffrey did everything very smoothly and informed me. It was very comfortable working with him. He was very helpful, open, honest, and available. Working with HomeDirect has been very good and I'm very pleased. If I were to refinance again, I'd definitely give them a call back.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I was buying a house for more space and I heard that HomeDirect had great rates so I went with them and got a typical 5% conventional type of loan. Their online application process was fine and my experience has been very smooth. If it was for a slightly low appraisal and the seller wanting to fight it, we would have been clear to close in two weeks. I'm a loan officer too, so I knew what they would need and got all the initial paperwork to them upfront. Their rep, Katie was on the ball as I would have been. I was happy with the rates and terms HomeDirect offered. I had previous home that I sold after I closed on this home. It was through our local credit union and I reached out to them to see what they could offer and without a competitive look, HomeDirect was definitely beating them and they squirm mightily to try to match it. They did but I wanted to stick with Katie. She did a really great job for us, so I was very satisfied.

Original review: May 28, 2018

We wanted to purchase a new home. We decided to apply for a mortgage and since HomeDirect had a better interest rate over others, we applied with them. Their reps were very professional and very helpful. We got a VA loan and the process of obtaining it was easy. The application and underwriting process took 30 days, which was right on the mark, and the rates and the terms of the mortgage were the best at the time. So, it worked out well.

Original review: May 27, 2018

We just moved into a new area so we looked into getting a mortgage and decided to go with HomeDirect because of their rates. Everyone was very polite and easy to work with. They were all very helpful and if we had any questions, they were answered promptly. And everything seemed pretty straightforward. HomeDirect made it simpler than I expected.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I needed to do a cash-out refi and I was looking to take some money off of my house. I applied online and Sam from HomeDirect Mortgage contacted me right away. He was super friendly and helpful so I felt good working with him. The application was super easy too. It was even quicker than my expectations. The process took three weeks and I was really happy. I was able to do the refinance and get the money I needed. It was a big help. HomeDirect Mortgage seemed pretty reputable and I had no issues with them. I would recommend them.

Original review: May 26, 2018

We applied to HomeDirect Mortgage online and was asked for some documents to verify. We were trying to get pre-approved and we wanted to know what range we could be looking at homes based on what we wanted our mortgage payment to be. HomeDirect Mortgage worked with us and then they gave us the range and we got approved for it. They moved very quickly and the application and underwriting process took six weeks. In the process of buying a home, the least stressful part was dealing with HomeDirect Mortgage. Everything else was a mess but this was one thing that went the way it should have from beginning to end.

Customer service was very attentive and responsive. If I had a question, somebody called or emailed me within the same day. I never went 24 hours without an answer to what I needed. And they were very clear in what they needed from me. The instructions were easy to read and interpret. The whole situation was the best we’ve ever been in and we’ve owned four homes. I even have the guy’s phone number. He told me I could call him if I am looking for a home and had a question about anything. And that was awesome. I only used it one time. Instead of waiting until Monday, I was able to get my answer on that Sunday. It was the best experience.

We told other people that HomeDirect Mortgage was the place to go for efficiency and communication. I felt supported through the process and also felt more of the connection with those people than I did ever before so it didn’t matter to me that it wasn’t face-to-face. And it’s because of the way they structure their process from the very beginning, through the middle, to the end. If you wanna go through this pre-approval process, HomeDirect Mortgage is gonna be with you through the whole process.

HomeDirect Mortgage expert review by Michele Lerner

This direct lender is a division of Bank of Oklahoma Financial. It uses the latest technology like an online automated application system to help clients get the money and information they need as efficiently as possible.

• Online application: The online application makes applying for a mortgage easy. With a bit of information, you can submit an application, and a loan officer will contact you directly.

• Mortgage calculators: There are several online calculators free to use. If you have questions about your principle, taxes, APR, refinancing and more, these calculators can help.

• VA loans: This company helps veterans apply for VA loans with specialists trained to make sure you get the service you need.

• Mortgage basics resources: You can access numerous resources that include breakdowns of mortgage terms and costs as well as some FAQs on the website.

• Part of BOKF: This lender subsidiary of the Bank of Oklahoma Financial. This means that they are backed by a multibillion dollar financial company, ensuring your finances are in capable hands.

• Best for: first time homebuyers, people looking for mortgage help and veterans in need of VA loans.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

HomeDirect Mortgage Company Information