2. Mortgages
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.71/5

BOK Financial Mortgage, formerly HomeDirect Mortgage, is part of a multi-billion dollar financial services group offering online mortgage origination. Our automated online application takes the hassle out of applying for a mortgage and provides an experienced mortgage banker to guide you through the loan process. We offer Conventional, FHA, Jumbo, VA, Advanced Medical Professional mortgage loan options as well as refinance. Contact us today to learn more about BOK Financial Mortgage.

BOK Financial Mortgage, a division of BOKF, NA. Member FDIC, Equal Housing Lender.

View More View More

BOK Financial Mortgage Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I am a HomeDirect Mortgage employee so I knew that I was at about 80% LTV and I could get rid of my MI. And based on the type of loan that I had where it was borrower-paid MI through premium pricing at the rate, I wanted to lower my rate because my rate went down by a full percentage. I've been monitoring rates for a few years. I went with their conventional conforming, a 30-year fixed program. As a customer, it only felt cumbersome to me because I knew the process and there was a level of expectation that I don't think the general consumer has. But I thought that specific to the communication by my loan officer was lacking. I felt that could have been improved.

The online application process was okay. Having done origination 15 years ago, I felt like there were some things that were missed, but it wasn't a big deal. And once the application itself was reviewed, somebody, either the originator or his assistant contacted me back and got those data pieces handled. The application and underwriting process was the least explained to me. I had gotten feedback from friends who had done loans with Bank of Oklahoma and people that had sold their homes and knew the buyers were financing through Bank of Oklahoma, and they said, "We were told the loan was approved. And then, two days before closing, we were told it wasn't." They didn't have a loan. The reason why that has bearing on my situation is because I understood better how that could have happened, when specific to my situation, I was told that we had gotten approval, which I guess was just the AUS.

And then, when I thought it should have been going to closing, they were like, "Oh, we need to get your HOA information." They should have known about that from the moment that they had the AUS piece of it because it was defined in the AUS piece. So, the fact that that detail slips through when I thought it should have been going to closing, I think that was a little clunky. And I'm not super excited to know that perhaps if consumers need explanation of that, I don't know that loan officers are adequately explaining it, at least it wasn't, in my situation.

The communication with my loan officer was just fine. But having a different level of understanding of the process and of the system, some of the questions that I was asking weren't normal questions. So, from that perspective, it may have not necessarily turned him off or put him on edge, but I think it was one of those things that he was like, "Okay. Well, sure. We're busy, so closing is gonna be in a month." And I'm like, "No, but we have approval on the second day of the application because I got you everything you needed. So, why aren't we going to closing?"

Details like that were frustrating to me simply because I didn't understand that the volume had increased such that there was a delay, and I think that that could have been set up better at the beginning. Nonetheless, the loan officer was able to answer or I was able to clarify and rephrase so that he could understand what I was asking. The rate was good and I think that the rep met my expectations very well, but there wasn't any above and beyond as far as any type of additional engagement. I love BOK and I think that they're the way to be. Ultimately, we have the customers' financial benefit in mind, and I think that our people operate in that mindset. So, I like it. I would recommend HomeDirect Mortgage.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I was doing a rate search on Zillow. I knew that the mortgage rates have been dropping and I was looking for a mortgage to lower my monthly payments. I went with HomeDirect's 30-year fixed conventional loan. This is the sixth time I've gone through a mortgage process and very similar, but pretty smooth. The closing was on time and I was kept up to date on everything, and I didn’t really have to do too much. It took 25 to 30 days and the online application process was fairly simple.

There's a little bit of miscommunication between who the title company was gonna be though. I was getting communication from two title companies at one point. I accidentally ended up paying one that we ended up not using a $175 fee for document processing. That was a little bit of frustration. I just purchased my home a year ago and I had heard about, like an R8 or something like that, credits. I just had the title insurance paid a year ago. So, I didn’t know if it was gonna be cheaper or not. So, I was kinda hoping to get a final disclosure document for the closing fees and costs. I said I used this title company a year ago, and if I could get a closing credit with them and it was cheaper, I'd like to go ahead and use them. So, I was communicating, but then the loan underwriter said that they weren’t communicating quickly enough, so they switched to one of their preferred title companies. And I wasn’t notified of that switch until after I had already paid a $175 processing fee to the original title company.

But I think it ended up being cheaper in the end for the preferred title company, the Bank of Oklahoma, but I would have picked them from the beginning if I had known that the closing costs and fees would have been cheaper anyways regardless of the credits. They wanted a rushed paper or something from my HOA then the loan underwriter came back and said the reason why they were charging that rush fee was because they sat on my packet for 20 days or something like that and didn’t do anything, and they hadn’t done their work.

I should have never paid the rush fee because that was on them. The experience was great minus that one little hiccup. I wish that that would have been communicated a little bit earlier and more frequently. Once everything was set up and able to set up everything online, do auto pay and e-delivery of my documents, everything has been an easy and smooth process and transition. I have my first payment here, I think, in a week. So, everything good to go.

Original review: June 2, 2019

I wanted to refinance to lower the interest rate and at that time, HomeDirect was giving the best interest rate. The agent was also very responsive. After I reached out to the guy and left a voicemail, he reached back out to me and we went through the process for an approval. Then we locked the interest rate right away and proceeded with the standard process. I provided all the documents in a matter of weeks and that was how we ended up closing the refinancing process.

The process took about a month. Most of the information was filled by the agent himself. But I also went to the website, which was pretty straightforward and convenient. I created a login account and filled out a bunch of information. This is my fourth time through the mortgage process and HomeDirect is the most convenient I’ve filed with so far. The process was the smoothest compared to other processes I had gone through. The agent with whom I was dealing with for the entire process was very nice too. He was on top of the things.

Initially, we moved very fast but during the closing time period, things were a little bit delayed and there was a little bit of skepticism at the end of the process. There's a closing amount and I would need to hand over a cashier's check. A person contacted me and then we signed all the documents right before the closing. Then she said we could hand over the check to the person from the Connecticut escrow company and she would mail it to them. But it wasn’t very clear. I didn't know very well the person with whom I was meeting and she didn’t provide me any ID. I was handing over a cashier's check to somebody and there was a chance of being involved in fraud activities. I've heard a lot of stories about having frauds during the closing process. My wife and I were in a little panic mode.

This was a big amount we were handing over to somebody and we don't know that person. She was not even associated with either HomeDirect or the escrow company. She was just hired by the escrow company and the escrow company asked me to hand over my check to her. During the earlier process, the escrow company was in town and you go to the office in person and then they hand over the check. At least you know that things may not go wrong because you know the location and you meet the people face to face. You know they are a legit company. This time, the escrow company was in Connecticut. Everything is remotely handled, which is fine, but with the way the online fraud activities are going on, people are losing trust. Having a physical location makes people feel more comfortable with it being such a large transaction.

There was some skepticism on whether HomeDirect is legit or not. This is my fourth process and we never had this kind of experience where everything was remotely handled and we never got in touch with any physical person or physical location. They should provide some sort of evidence to the customer, like their location and their license number. Some sort of confidence needs to be given to a subscriber. We didn’t end up handing over the check to that person because we didn’t know her very well. But we got all the paperwork fine then we asked the escrow company to send us their wire transfer information. So it was one more day of delay but we eventually wire-transferred then we closed the process.

But after handing over the money, there wasn’t any follow-up. I was expecting somebody from HomeDirect to reach out to me, either through a phone call or an email, saying that they had received the fund, that everything with the refinancing process was complete and how much we would be expecting for the first month. But there wasn’t any communication. So I was a little skeptical then as well. I was wondering whether I really did the correct job. After a few days, I reached out and asked whether we were finished. The rep told me that our fund was in our account and not to worry about it. Those last four days during the closing time was a little inconvenient for me and my family.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I was buying a house and I went with HomeDirect Mortgage's VA loan program. HomeDirect's rates and fees were better and the people that I dealt with, Tyson and his team, were absolutely phenomenal to work with. I had contacted four different lenders. And we do our commercial and I do my personal banking with BOK. I contacted places like Veterans United and I made the assumption that because they do only VA loans, they would have better rates and so forth. And I was really disappointed. My local branch has always asked me, "Jo, why don't you reach out. When you're ready to buy another place, reach out and give us a shot." So I decided to do that. I called up. I got put in touch with Tyson.

Tyson walked me through the process and told me what their rates and fees were and gave me a list of things they needed. During the process, they needed one additional bit of information regarding some items that I had sold to process the down payment. So I provided that. And other than that, anytime they needed anything, he would put it through an email through the web portal, but also would pick up the phone and call me and say, "Jo, I sent you an email. I need X, Y and Z." I also worked with Donna, and she was also absolutely excellent to work with.

The application and underwriting process took probably 30 days, and the delays were because of scheduling, inspections and things that I needed to provide, and getting people out there. It's not in a metro area. The rates and terms of the mortgage were good. They were very competitive. What I bought was a combination factory and stick-built. And it's lakefront property over Grand Lake. Some people didn't wanna touch it. One of the lenders was 2 percentage points higher on the rate. For that type of loan, all you're gonna get is a 20-year loan. And I thought, "Okay, well, that's what I'm dealing with." Tyson said, "Jo, that's not correct. We do 30 years all the time. And that's what we're gonna do."

Working with HomeDirect got me the last home that I hope to ever buy and where I plan to retire. They made the process very customer friendly. They were very laid back and calm. Everything was like, "Don't worry about it. It's not an issue. We got it covered." It made the whole process comfortable and far less stressful. I have already recommended HomeDirect to a couple of friends.

Original review: April 21, 2019

I got a VA loan from HomeDirect Mortgage. It was my first time ever buying a house and their steps in getting a loan were pretty straightforward. It was easier and less daunting than I thought it was gonna be. Their online application process was convenient, easy to use, and easy to follow. The application and underwriting process took two months, but I know it because my house was new construction. I had planned to wait until the house close (GRAM - CLOSED). I was happy with the process and it was very good.

The agent who I worked with was Tim. He was able to explain all of the steps and he explained the math behind the numbers. I appreciated that he kind of dumbed it down when I needed to. He explained it very clearly in a way that I could understand, and he's made me feel good about it. He seemed like a very intelligent individual who wasn’t trying to take advantage of me in any way. He truly made it seem like he was on my side, so I felt comfortable. He was also very responsive. I could get hold of him either through email, text, or phone call, and he never took more than a day to get back to me.

Home-buying is a very stressful process, but working with HomeDirect Mortgage made it easier and relieve (GRAM - RELIEVED) some stress. I had a very positive experience and I'm happy with them. I couldn’t be happier with my service or the rates that I got. I felt confident that I was getting the best rate available. I would highly recommend my friends to use HomeDirect Mortgage.

NIII:
    A friend recommended HomeDirect Mortgage to me.
    I was working with the real estate agent who found the house and HomeDirect was a mortgage firm that my real estate agent had an experience with. I called around to several lending companies and HomeDirect was one of the big-name ones. I ended up comparing all their notes and the personalities of the lenders, and I ended up using HomeDirect based on that.
    It was all positive dealing with the reps.
    The lending process was very good [and really smooth], and I was happy with it.
    His expertise and quality of service were phenomenal, and I was very happy. I would recommend him to anybody else, as I already have to my son.

---

REMOD:

I was doing an upgrade appointment for a house and that prompted me to apply for a mortgage. A friend recommended HomeDirect Mortgage to me. Also, I was working with the real estate agent who found the house and HomeDirect was a mortgage firm that my real estate agent had an experience with. I called around to several lending companies and HomeDirect was one of the big-name ones. I ended up comparing all the notes and the personalities of the lenders, and I ended up using HomeDirect based on that. I got a VA loan from them.

The steps in securing a loan from them were straightforward. It was easier and less daunting than I thought it was gonna be. The online application process was convenient and easy to use and follow. The lending process was very good and really smooth. It took two months, but that was because my house was a new construction and I had planned to wait until the house closed.

It was all positive dealing with the customer service representatives. Tim, the rep that I worked with, was able to explain all of the steps, the reason behind all of them, and the math behind the numbers. It was a complicated process. I appreciated that he dumbed it down when I needed that, and he explained it very clearly in a way that I could understand. He has made me feel good about it. I felt confident and comfortable working with him. He seemed like a very intelligent individual who wasn’t trying to take advantage of me in any way and he truly made it seem like he was on my side. He was also very responsive. It was great that I could get hold of him either through email, text, or phone call. He never took more than a day to get back to me so that was very good. His expertise and quality of service were phenomenal and I would recommend him to anybody else, as I already have to my son.

Home-buying is a very stressful process, but HomeDirect made it easier and relieved some of that stress. I'm happy with the rates and the terms of the mortgage that I received. I felt confident that I was getting the best rate available. It wasn’t the best timing as mortgage rates have been lower, but I felt like I did the best that I could. I couldn’t be happier with my mortgage and the service. I had a very positive experience with HomeDirect and I would highly recommend them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BOK Financial Mortgage?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

I had two mortgages with BOK, so I did a refi. They have good interest rates. The representative was very quick to respond, nice and straightforward. We got a lower rate, so it allowed us to take out additional 40,000 cash-out and still pay the same in terms of principal interest each month. It worked out well.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

I did a mortgage refinance with BOK Financial and the process was easy. Application took 15 minutes but to get it to underwriting took 2 weeks since my originator was on vacation. I hope they have more support for my originator because when he was out on vacation, it all stopped. The person backing him up was also off, so there was no backup. Still, customer service has been good and I'm very comfortable working with them. It was an estate planning goal and it helped us fulfill moving towards retirement planning.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

I was financed by BOK and I did a refinance with them because of the cheaper interest. I called Daniel or Jay and got it going with him. I was gonna refinance with someone else, but BOK beat their interest rate which is what it boiled down to. I also didn't have to get any appraisal, so that was a bonus 'cause that's an extra 1,500 to 2000. During the application process, they left out few details in the end which I had to jump through hoops, but that's just what it is. The application and underwriting took no time, but I got ACE Credit so it was very simple. If something would have been done differently, it is to be able to sign the paperwork online and be done or not have to have somebody come to my house and jump through hoops. It's a pain. The first time I did it with them, I didn't physically sign papers. Still, working with BOK Financial saved me money.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I’ve used BOK in the past for my mortgage and I’m a current banker with them. I went with the conventional loan and the process was handled fine. It took a week and it was very easy overall. I was concerned about my well-being as far as making sure that I wasn’t getting into something over my head and something that wasn’t right. And the consultant was very helpful.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

We were ready to buy a new house, which was going to be our first. We were referred to BOK by a Realtor and we ended up getting the best interest rate with BOK and low fees. Everything went smoothly. We got pre-approved back in December and then decided which house to buy. It was really easy to communicate with everyone. They replied fast to all the emails and they were professional. Being a first-time homebuyer, we asked a lot more questions. We got a lot of information and advice, so that was good. I'm happy with the way that everything went and it's exciting 'cause now we own a house. I've also told my dad to get refinanced with BOK.

BOK Financial Mortgage expert review by Michele Lerner

This direct lender is a division of Bank of Oklahoma Financial. It uses the latest technology like an online automated application system to help clients get the money and information they need as efficiently as possible.

• Online application: The online application makes applying for a mortgage easy. With a bit of information, you can submit an application, and a loan officer will contact you directly.

• Mortgage calculators: There are several online calculators free to use. If you have questions about your principle, taxes, APR, refinancing and more, these calculators can help.

• VA loans: This company helps veterans apply for VA loans with specialists trained to make sure you get the service you need.

• Mortgage basics resources: You can access numerous resources that include breakdowns of mortgage terms and costs as well as some FAQs on the website.

• Part of BOKF: This lender subsidiary of the Bank of Oklahoma Financial. This means that they are backed by a multibillion dollar financial company, ensuring your finances are in capable hands.

• Best for: first time homebuyers, people looking for mortgage help and veterans in need of VA loans.

by Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

BOK Financial Mortgage Company Information