Find the Best Lighting Stores
Compare Reviews for Top Lighting Stores
Read 4,848 Reviews
Offers an extensive online selection of over 10 million items supplied by 10,000 partners. Find furniture and furnishings, from décor and accents chairs to beds and beds for pets. Pricing for sofas starts at less than $300.
Read 403 Reviews
Offers home furniture and furnishing choices that strike a balance between aesthetics and affordability. Products are handcrafted from organic and sustainable materials. Pricing of a Stella Mid-Century Loveseat starts at $799.
Read 83 Reviews
One of the largest lighting retailers in the country, Lamps Plus has an extensive online store and showroom across the western U.S. They offer clearance savings on select products as well as several customer service options.
Read 35 Reviews
Ferguson Enterprises has the latest designs for home bathroom fixtures and appliances. Their online guides help you choose the right bathroom vanity, bathtub, shower and more.
|Hampton Bay Lighting|
Read 76 Reviews
Read 8 Reviews
Lighting Direct is a part of the Build.com network of stores. The online retailer offers an extensive variety of indoor and outdoor lights as well as lamps and home décor. Customer support is available seven days a week.
|Build.com||Read Expert Review|
As of 2011, Build.com’s network of online home improvement stores form one of the largest online home improvement retailers. Its various specialized sites cater to individual home improvement departments.
|Circa Lighting||Read Expert Review|
Circa Lighting was founded in 1998 in Savannah, Ga. and is dedicated to providing an outstanding customer experience. Circa offers an assortment of products from some of the most influential talent in the industry.
|Destination Lighting||Read Expert Review|
Though it began as a brick and mortar store in 1917, Seattle-based Destination Lighting has since joined with stores in Wash., Ore., Idaho and Texas. Their online store focuses on customer service and DIY resources.
|Lumens.com||Read Expert Review|
Lumens began as a lighting showroom in California, and, with the website’s launch in 2006, Lumens moved their shop online as well. They feature U.S. and international products as well as stock from independent manufacturers.
Considerations when choosing a lighting store
Style and inspiration
Remodeling or improving a home means looking at various styles to fit your needs. For this reason, many online lighting stores have resources to inspire you to find the style that works for your house.
- Style type: Different vendors carry different styles. Some specialize in traditional or popular designs while others offer international and unconventional styles.
- Showrooms: Lighting stores usually have showrooms where store associates can help you see what their stocks look like in model rooms. For online stores, many companies have virtual showrooms to inspire decoration ideas.
- Idea boards: Some of the best decoration ideas come from fellow consumers. Company websites often have idea boards where consumer that post their own lighting projects to inspire others.
After finding a style that’s right for your room, finding the right price becomes the next priority. Shopping around is key to catch the styles you want for the price that fits your improvement budget.
- Low price guarantee: Some lighting stores will guarantee their prices. If they do not have the lowest price listed, they may match or beat a lower price from a competitor.
- Coupons: Online retailers may list available coupons for the items they sell. Make sure you check to see if there are coupons before making a purchase.
- Rotating sales: A patient consumer will want to monitor sales closely to receive the best deals on lighting products. Regular sales may offer lighting products at reduced prices if you catch them on the right day.
- Open-box items: Most sites that allow returns will offer like-new returned items, or “open-box” items, at discount prices.
Not everyone who wants to remodel their home is a professional. Lighting retailers, therefore, often focus on customer service to help consumers at any step of the process, whether they’re furnishing a new home or updating their current lighting.
- Online chat: One of the quickest and easiest ways to get in touch with a service representative is through online chat. Most online lighting stores have sales associates and experts waiting to answer your questions.
- Consultation: If you’re buying lighting products from a showroom, you can usually schedule consultations with experts or interior designers.
- Expert installation: Installing lighting can be complicated, so most consumers will likely want an expert’s help in remodeling their homes. Lighting stores often have electricians who can help install new fixtures for a fee.
Shipping and delivery
Finding the right product in an online lighting store means having it shipped to you. Depending on the size of the object and the distance it travels, some stores may offer deals on shipping or delivery options.
- Free shipping: Qualifying orders may ship free from certain lighting stores. Usually, free shipping is limited to products that cost $50 or more, though rates may vary.
- International shipping: Products shipped overseas are subject to more expensive costs, and some stores may only ship domestically.
- Freight shipping: Larger light installations may require freight shipping. This form of shipping generally costs more than standard shipping because of the product’s weight or its fragility.
- Delivery options: Most companies ship and offer curbside delivery. However, some companies offer white glove delivery, meaning that movers will place your item in the place where you want it. White glove delivery may be a smart option for delicate lighting fixtures.
Many consumers want to install lights and remodel their homes by themselves. For do-it-yourself projects, lighting stores often have guides and blogs for consumers.
- Installation guides: The most common DIY resources in lighting stores are installation guides. You can look up your product and then consult the guide to figure out how to set it up.
- Blogs: While some store blogs are devoted decoration, others are devoted to DIY projects with technical help and advice.
If you have a place of business, like an office or hotel, that needs new lighting, companies may offer deals for outfitting your space with their products. It may be worth your while to see which companies will sell their products at discount prices for your business.
- Personalized service: Working with company trade services often means working closely with a representative of that country. You should make sure the lighting design company is giving you personalized service to get the most out of your trade deal.
- Trade-exclusive products: Some lighting fixtures are only available through trade deals. Outfitting your place of business with exclusive lights may be a possibility depending on the company.
- Purchase minimums: Some companies will only agree to trade partnerships if your company purchases a certain number of products. Make sure you can meet the product qualifications when you consider trading.
Types of lighting stores
Few shopping experiences can beat a physical store, especially when you want to purchase something like lighting. Lighting showrooms let consumers walk around and see lighting fixtures from all angles in a real setting.
For consumers who do not live near showrooms, online stores may be the best option. These stores deliver products to consumers’ homes, and many have virtual showrooms to give consumers ideas about how their lights will look when installed.
Home improvement stores
Home improvement superstores sell much more than lighting products, making them ideal for consumers who need a few other items in addition to lights to bring their remodeling jobs together.
Types of lighting store shoppers
Most consumers looking for lighting products are planning remodeling projects. Whether you are changing the decoration of an existing room, adding a room to your home or preparing your house for selling, improving the lighting can increase the value of your home and improve a room’s appearance.
If you’re building your home, you will want to consider carefully your choice in lighting.
Interior designers always need to keep aware of the latest trends in lighting styles. Resources like showrooms and idea boards for lighting stores can help interior designers give their clients ideas.
If you want to do your own repairs and installation, lighting stores will have the resources for you. Installation guides and expert consultations should give you the information you need to get your project finished.
Hotels and offices
Many companies offer trade deals with hotel groups and businesses to feature their lighting products. Hotels looking to install new lighting to match their décor and business needing lights for their workers could benefit from the services lighting stores offer.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Lighting store expert reviews
Founded in Savannah in 1998, Circa Lighting is manufacturer and retailer of lighting fixtures and products. They have showrooms in Savannah, Ga.; Atlanta; Charleston, S.C.; Chicago; Greenwich, Conn.; Houston; and Washington D.C.
- Online catalog: Circa’s entire line of products is available to view online through a digital catalog.
- Customer consultation: When looking for lighting solutions, consumers can consult with Circa’s employees to make sure they find the right lighting solutions to match their needs.
- Top-tier designers: Circa showcases the work of some of the most influential designers in the lighting industry. These designers have profiles available to view on the Circa website.
- Free shipping: Circa Lighting provides free shipping on their products delivered within the continental U.S. They also offer international shipping to over 50 countries.
- Circa Lighting blog: With consumer profiles and decorating tips, the Circa blog is a resource for consumers looking for lighting solutions or needing design ideas.
- Best for: Circa Lighting is best for consumers and businesses who want stylish lighting solutions that blend form and function.
Founded in 1976, Lamps Plus is a Los Angeles-based privately owned company that aims to give consumers excellent customer service and a large selection at low prices. Lamps Plus’ online and showroom locations contain over 70,000 designs.
LightingDirect.com is an online lighting retailer that offers a wide variety of lighting fixtures and styles. It is part of the Build.com Network, a group of stores dedicated to home improvement.
Build.com is one of the largest online home improvement retailers. It began in 2000 when the owner launched the site FaucetDirect.com, and it was renamed Build.com in 2010 to cover its expanding inventory.
- Network of stores: With stores like LightingDirect.com, VentingDirect.com and FaucetDirect.com, Build.com has stores that specialize in different parts of the home improvement process.
- Social media: Build.com has a social media presence on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Houzz to share ideas and projects with home improvement enthusiasts.
- Safe shopping: Encrypted checkout and rigorous system testing keeps consumer information safe and secure.
- Build.com Deals: Rotating featured deals on lighting and other home improvement products help consumers save money on popular brand products.
- Product specialists: Build.com has a team of dedicated product specialists to help consumers with their lighting and other home improvement projects.
- Best for: Build.com is best for consumers looking for lighting fixtures and other home improvement products.
Destination Lighting’s company history dates back to 1917 when it was founded as Seattle Lighting Fixture Company. As the company expanded, lighting companies from other states became part of it to form Destination Lighting, a full-featured lighting and shopping service.
- Company blog: Destination Lighting’s company blog contains valuable information, from decoration inspiration to quick lighting tips to brighten a room.
- Coupons and discounts: By working with top lighting manufacturers, Destination Lighting can offer coupons and discounts on select lighting products to consumers who sign up on the site.
- Social media profile: Destination Lighting is active on Facebook, Instagram and Houzz to share ideas and connect with consumers.
- Specialist service: Because Destination Lighting is a lighting-only store, the customer service team are trained lighting experts ready to help consumers with their questions and projects.
- Installation guides: Destination Lighting offers several installation guides for indoor and outdoor lighting fixtures.
- Best for: Destination Lighting is best for DIYers and consumers who want to install their own lights.
West Elm is a branch of Williams-Sonoma, Inc., that was founded in 2002. Ninety percent of their products are designed in-house from organic and sustainably sourced materials.
Lumens started as a small showroom in Sacramento, Calif. that sold contemporary lighting products. In 2006 Lumens launched its website and has since become one of the largest online lighting stores, selling contemporary designs from big-name companies and small independent designers alike.
- International designs: Lumens offers a range of styles for consumers, including international styles that may be hard to find otherwise.
- Expert service: Lumens’ customer service team of lighting experts is available for consultations and troubleshooting at any stage of the design process.
- Shipping and delivery options: Lumens offers free shipping on most items, but larger items may require freight delivery. Curbside delivery is standard, but there is a White Glove delivery option on some products.
- Ideas + Advice: Lumens’ Ideas + Advice section on the website has numerous decoration ideas as well as a series of guides and advice for how to improve lighting and home décor.
- Sales and promotions: Lumens has regular promotions and clearance items. They also sell open-box returned items at discount prices, though stocks are limited and change quickly.
- Best for: Lumens is best for consumers looking for stylish lighting solutions from an online retailer.
Founded in 1953, Ferguson offers wholesale prices on plumbing, lighting and other home improvement products for consumers. With over 1,400 locations in the United States, Ferguson has a nationwide reach as well as a robust online store.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.