2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

3.7/5 (4449 ratings)

About Wayfair

Wayfair is an online retailer that sells furniture and household items, including fixtures, appliances and cookware. With the "Room Ideas" section of its website, customers can explore curated home design styles and purchase items from those collections. Most items are eligible for returns and full refunds within 30 days of delivery. The Wayfair Credit Card Program lets you receive discounts, financing and credit rewards.

Pros

• Rewards and perks
  • Product variety
  • Low delivery fee
  • Registry option

Cons

• Assembly required
  • Some items are pricey

Bottom Line

Wayfair sells a variety of home goods and furniture. The website offers 3D visualization tools, gift registries and store credit cards. Customers can use filters on the company's website to make searching easier.

Top Wayfair Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Decorated my whole house through Wayfair. I have to say, I was skeptical about ordering online, but Wayfair made it not only very easy, but I was able to keep within my budget and...

Verified

I ordered a cocktail table from Wayfair. After reading some reviews I became apprehensive, but I had a great experience, I received both email and texts advising of delivery date ...

Wayfair products and website features

Wayfair’s inventory is made of home goods across several categories. Some of the most popular categories include:

• Furniture: Sofas, coffee tables, TV stands, headboards, dining tables and desks
  • Bed & bath: Comforters, quilts, linens, pillows, mirrors, towels and shower curtains
  • Kitchen: Dinnerware, drinkware, cookware, utensils, appliances and food storage
  • Baby & kids: Cribs, beds, dressers, organizers, bookcases and outdoor toys
  • Storage: Shelves, racks, cabinets, drawers and baskets for all room types
  • Lighting: Chandeliers, sconces, lamps, shades and landscape and solar lighting
  • Outdoor: Furniture, grills, planters, fire pits, trampolines, sandboxes and mailboxes

You can create lists and registries on Wayfair’s website to save wanted items or notify family and friends about particular items on a gift wish list. You must have an account to create a list or registry, but you don’t need an account to shop from one. All registry items include free shipping.

Another helpful feature on Wayfair’s website is the 3D visualization tool, which gives you the ability to create and save rooms to help plan and visualize specific items or furniture in your home.

You can download the Wayfair app to quickly access the company’s extensive catalog, visualize products in your space with the “View in Room” feature, track packages and more.

Wayfair prices

Wayfair offers products ranging from budget items to luxury pieces, so pricing varies based on what you’re shopping for. For budget-conscious shoppers, Wayfair provides a filter-sorting system that lets you look up items by price, sort from low to high or set a custom range.

Wayfair shipping cost

Most orders from Wayfair include free shipping, but the company charges a flat rate of $4.99 for any order less than $35.

Wayfair credit card

The company offers a store credit card that can be used at all Wayfair-managed brands, including AllModern, Birch Lane, Joss & Main and Perigold. Using the card gives you free shipping with no order minimum and other rewards, such as 3% back in rewards or special financing. The card has no annual fee, and it typically includes an introductory offer.

Wayfair FAQ

Is Wayfair owned by Walmart or Amazon?
Neither Walmart or Amazon owns Wayfair. Wayfair was founded by Niraj Shah and Steve Conine in 2002.
Is AllModern part of Wayfair?
Yes, Wayfair operates five branded retail websites, including Wayfair. The other sites are AllModern, Birch Lane, Joss & Main and Perigold.
Is Wayfair a reliable website?
The Wayfair site is reliable and used by consumers across the United States. To view customers’ experiences with Wayfair and its website, read our most recent reviews.
Is Wayfair good quality?
Products on the Wayfair site are good quality, though the company does not manufacture the products it sells. Customers who are unhappy with their purchase can return or exchange the item at no cost.

Is Wayfair legit?

Yes, Wayfair is a legitimate company with safe practices surrounding shopping, shipping and consumer privacy. Wayfair provides customers with a one-stop shopping experience that lets you purchase home goods, furniture and appliances from one site. The company has several features on its website and app to help shoppers visualize Wayfair products in their home, which is helpful to online shoppers. Some items can be pricey, but Wayfair offers a vast selection of products at a range of price points.

Wayfair Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wayfair?

Original review: June 2, 2021

I ordered the Zayne Standard Bed for my bedroom a week ago from Wayfair and I'm actually realizing that how it feels to sleep on a high quality bed. My sleep is turned out to be healthy and a lot easier than before. There's no irritating sounds that old used beds make. Moreover the design is so attractive it is perfectly blended with my room's colour and design.

I'm 100% satisfied with the bed quality and design that Wayfair is providing. In addition, I also received free 2 day shipping offer too. I got the bed delivered at my doorstep in just 2 days for FREE! Can you imagine that such heavy objects are delivered to my house totally free of cost. The people that delivered the bed also set it up in my bedroom. I didn't need to call anyone else to set it up in my bedroom. I have experienced the best services from Wayfair that their people are so cooperative and hard working. And most importantly I was able to grab great discount on my order online via this site, **. Who wouldn't like to save on their spendings. I got 10% off on my order through this website. I copied the code and simply pasted it in the checkout. I would recommend to shop from Wayfair because they got best products and best services with great discounts available online.

Original review: May 1, 2021

I ordered an adjustable sofa from Wayfair for $389, while still waiting for delivery, the price of the item dropped to $289. I called Wayfair and asked them to do a price adjustment since I haven't received the item yet. They said they don't do that and it was against their policy. I was shocked because all their comparators do price adjustment when item goes on sale within 30 days. Customer service rep recommended to cancel item and for me to reorder it, she placed me on hold for 30 minutes then hung up. I got an email confirmation that the item was canceled but I was charged $160 handling fees, rep never mentioned that there is a fee. Just horrible experience, I'm going to delete my account and will tell all my family and friends about the bad experience.

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

I purchased a large furniture item, the stitching was off and there was a rip at the bottom. I was unhappy and wanted a refund. I went online the day that it arrived at my home and went through the quick and easy return. I uploaded pictures of the issue, and in moments they refunded my money. I was not asked to return the item! It was not what I wanted, and I don't have space for two in my home. I am a teacher and was able to donate it to one of my former students who is just starting out in her new place. This was so meaningful to me, and her! I can't say enough about how generous this was, not greedy and wasteful. I will for sure be shopping with Wayfair again, I am truly impressed.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

In February 2020 I purchased a couch, loveseat and a chair and numerous other living room items. The couch and love seat. From from the red barrel collection which is pretty expensive. It was delivered in March and I was very pleased with it until November 2020 when I noticed the padding in the back one side of the sofa was going flat and starting to hurt my back and I was disappointed because I had paid so much and and I was dreading to contact them because I thought I would get a run around and tell me there was nothing they could do. But we was a shock when they wrote me back and told me to donate mine to charity or give it to someone in need, that they were shipping me a brand new replacement. I was in total shock and I cannot say enough about how pleased I am and will be doing more business with him in the future. Thank you Wayfair so much.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Recently purchased some bar stools and a large patio umbrella. Bar stools shipped extremely quickly and were at my door in 3 days. Stool quality was generally good with some screw holes slightly off, but was still able to use the original hardware and everything went together and is very solid. I'm an engineer by trade and a hobby carpenter, but I decided to go store bought for this need and don't regret it. Have received a lot of compliments.

The patio umbrella was more complicated. Shipped quickly, but did not come with the base which was included in the product description. Made a request for missing parts on their website and got an automated reply that parts would be shipped. Didn't hear from them for a few weeks and seeing all the horror stories lately feared the worst. Sent a message to customer service and received a prompt and courteous reply with a tracking number. Got the stand a few days later. Umbrella and stand seem well made upon first inspection. This was an overall good experience. There was an issue with one of the products, but Wayfair made it right with very little effort on my part. Considering the logistics nightmare caused by COVID-19, I am more than happy with the service and company. Give them a shot.

Original review: July 22, 2021

We have ordered a patio table on 06/05/21 to enjoy outdoor meals this Summer. The table arrived damaged. When a replacement item has been ordered on 06/19/21, the company said they expect it in stock on 07/16/21 and to arrive on 07/22/21. No item has been shipped, no communication about it. When I called the customer service, they said it is now expected to arrive at the warehouse on 08/09/21 and delivered by 08/17/21. They can't promise that it will be delivered and all I hear is "we understand how you feel". There was zero communication about the status of the replacement and they have mismanaged the order which ruined our plans for Summer entertaining.

Original review: July 22, 2021

On Saturday, July 17th I placed an order for the above product with Wayfair. Since we had just moved, I had first gone in and changed my address to my new location. The credit card I used had the current billing address. I am not sure why Wayfair's system put in my old address as the shipping address. As soon as I received the confirmation email from Wayfair, I contacted them to rectify the issue. I was told I could not change the shipping address; I asked to cancel the order and I was told that I could not cancel the order either.

I asked to be transferred to a supervisor; same results. Since when you shop online with a company that you cannot cancel an order prior to it's shipping (the order didn't actually ship from Texas until Monday). I called back since the first two individuals I spoke to were so unhelpful. The next person I got (Helen L) was a little more understanding of the situation but could still not assist me (cannot cancel or change and order). She told me that I would need to wait until it shipped with a tracking number and contact the FedEx Delivery Manager to make a change to the shipping address. I thanked her and she even went as far as to email me the contact information for FedEx Delivery Manager (only one bright and shining moment in the entire transaction). Once I received the tracking number, I reached out to FedEx to see if I could change the delivery address. No I could not, it had to come from the shipper (Wayfair).

So back to Wayfair. I explained the situation all over again and even the piece with FedEx. I told them that FedEx said the shipper needed to speak with them to confirm the change in address. They put me on hold with the reached out to FedEx. They told me it was handled and that the address was changed in the FedEx system.

I am tracking the shipment online and I see it is still headed to the original location; I call back to Wayfair and got nowhere again. At least their customer service is consistently bad. I am not sure what their deal is, but it is definitely not a customer service oriented company and I will never purchase another product from them again (I have previously had multiple transactions with Wayfair and this is the first time that I have had issues with them). They have lost a customer with not only myself, but my family and friends due to their lack of customer service and assistance. I still do not have my package and it is currently headed in the wrong direction!!!

Original review: July 22, 2021

I loved Wayfair, bought a new house and decided to furnish it with Wayfair. Bought a dining room table that took a month to receive, partially. The delivery company didn't deliver the base, but reported that it was delivered. I called Wayfair and was told that I needed to call the delivery company. After throwing a fit on the phone, he said he would send them a message and they had to respond, but if they couldn't find the base - then we would have to get another one ordered. So I can wait another month.

I also ordered a patio set that was scheduled to arrive 2 months after my order, a firepit that was scheduled to be delivered a week after my order, I emailed them asking why it hasn't showed up, I was told it should show up at the end of the week, then when I looked at the status of my other orders they changed the delivery date to a month later. This is also the case with 3 rugs that I ordered. I cancelled all these orders and am now stuck with a table top with no base because I was dumb enough to open the box thinking maybe it was all included in the one box. So disappointed. I like the products that Wayfair offers, too bad they lost a ton of sales based on their awful delivery service.

Original review: July 21, 2021

Ordered a 6 piece king bedroom set on July 2nd and get confirmation that items will be delivered by July 12th. Ordered directly through their customer service as well, so these delivery dates were given by a representative. Part of my order arrives by the date. Missing two major items. Looking at the online portal they say status delivered. One of the items arrives late, other still missing. The late item that arrives has wrong pieces inside. Can't assemble. Customer service lets me know they can have replacement parts (dowels) maybe by July 28th. Cannot provide faster service, tracking or a case number. Just "you will get an email when it ships". 0/10 Experience with that. Apparently it will take nearly 3 weeks to get me a single packet of wood pieces.

As for the item that never arrived I am told that "Inventory on the website doesn't accurately reflect if they have it or not", as you may see as a repeating issue on many other reviews they just sell you the item, give you a fake delivery date and quietly backorder the item. They will then proceed to give you new fake delivery dates and item statuses but will never provide a tracking number because well.... it is fake. Pointing out that my original delivery date was given to me directly by a rep didn't matter, those dates are fake as well. On my third round they didn't even bother giving me a fake date, and just said, "We don't know when your item will ship." So now I am held hostage by having part of a matching set and missing the other. Wayfair has absolutely no inventory control or quality control for deliveries. They are unable to track inventory or know if it will be sent on time.

If you order something from them know that the delivery date is fake. If it does arrive in that time, lucky you, but from my now extensive interaction with their customer service it is clear that is not the norm and they have outright admitted that the dates don't reflect inventory. Safe yourself the hassle and just buy from a company that can provide the services directly.

Original review: July 21, 2021

Poor customer service from Wayfair. I received a defective furniture piece (I paid over $800) from Wayfair and they are not willing to replace furniture. They will allow a return but charge me for the return shipping? How does that seem fair that I have to pay return shipping for a defective piece of furniture? I would discourage customers from purchasing furniture from Wayfair -- the quality is questionable and their willingness to stand behind their products is also questionable.

Wayfair Company Information