2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.00/5

Wayfair is an online retailer that sells furniture and household items, including fixtures, appliances and cookware. With the "Room Ideas" section of its website, customers can explore curated home design styles and purchase items from those collections. Most items are eligible for returns and full refunds within 30 days of delivery. The Wayfair Credit Card Program lets you receive discounts, financing and credit rewards.

BOTTOM LINE

Wayfair sells a variety of home goods and furniture. The website offers 3D visualization tools, gift registries and store credit cards. Customers can use filters on the company's website to make searching easier.

PROS

• Rewards and perks
  • Product variety
  • Low delivery fee
  • Registry option

CONS

• Assembly required
  • Some items are pricey

Top Wayfair Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wayfair?

I ordered a cocktail table from Wayfair. After reading some reviews I became apprehensive, but I had a great experience, I received both email and texts advising of delivery date and time. The package arrived about a half an hour into that time window.

Looking for a new piece of furniture?

Shop for your home on Overstock

Visit Website

Looking for a new piece of furniture?

Shop for your home on Overstock

Visit Website

Wayfair products and website features

Wayfair’s inventory is made of home goods across several categories. Some of the most popular categories include:

• Furniture: Sofas, coffee tables, TV stands, headboards, dining tables and desks
    • Bed & bath: Comforters, quilts, linens, pillows, mirrors, towels and shower curtains
    • Kitchen: Dinnerware, drinkware, cookware, utensils, appliances and food storage
    • Baby & kids: Cribs, beds, dressers, organizers, bookcases and outdoor toys
    • Storage: Shelves, racks, cabinets, drawers and baskets for all room types
    • Lighting: Chandeliers, sconces, lamps, shades and landscape and solar lighting
    • Outdoor: Furniture, grills, planters, fire pits, trampolines, sandboxes and mailboxes

You can create lists and registries on Wayfair’s website to save wanted items or notify family and friends about particular items on a gift wish list. You must have an account to create a list or registry, but you don’t need an account to shop from one. All registry items include free shipping.

Another helpful feature on Wayfair’s website is the 3D visualization tool, which gives you the ability to create and save rooms to help plan and visualize specific items or furniture in your home.

You can download the Wayfair app to quickly access the company’s extensive catalog, visualize products in your space with the “View in Room” feature, track packages and more.

Wayfair prices

Wayfair offers products ranging from budget items to luxury pieces, so pricing varies based on what you’re shopping for. For budget-conscious shoppers, Wayfair provides a filter-sorting system that lets you look up items by price, sort from low to high or set a custom range.

Wayfair shipping cost

Most orders from Wayfair include free shipping, but the company charges a flat rate of $4.99 for any order less than $35.

Wayfair credit card

The company offers a store credit card that can be used at all Wayfair-managed brands, including AllModern, Birch Lane, Joss & Main and Perigold. Using the card gives you free shipping with no order minimum and other rewards, such as 3% back in rewards or special financing. The card has no annual fee, and it typically includes an introductory offer.

Wayfair FAQ

Is Wayfair owned by Walmart or Amazon?
    Neither Walmart or Amazon owns Wayfair. Wayfair was founded by Niraj Shah and Steve Conine in 2002.
    Is AllModern part of Wayfair?
    Yes, Wayfair operates five branded retail websites, including Wayfair. The other sites are AllModern, Birch Lane, Joss & Main and Perigold.
    Is Wayfair a reliable website?
    The Wayfair site is reliable and used by consumers across the United States. To view customers’ experiences with Wayfair and its website, read our most recent reviews.
    Is Wayfair good quality?
    Products on the Wayfair site are good quality, though the company does not manufacture the products it sells. Customers who are unhappy with their purchase can return or exchange the item at no cost.

Is Wayfair legit?

Yes, Wayfair is a legitimate company with safe practices surrounding shopping, shipping and consumer privacy. Wayfair provides customers with a one-stop shopping experience that lets you purchase home goods, furniture and appliances from one site. The company has several features on its website and app to help shoppers visualize Wayfair products in their home, which is helpful to online shoppers. Some items can be pricey, but Wayfair offers a vast selection of products at a range of price points.

Wayfair Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wayfair?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

In February 2020 I purchased a couch loveseat and a chair and numerous other living room items The couch and love seat. From from the red barrel collection which is pretty expensive. It was delivered in March and I was very pleased with it until November 2020 when I noticed the padding in the back one side of the sofa was going flat and starting to hurt my back and I was disappointed because I had paid so much and and I was dreading to contact them because I thought I would get a run around and tell me there was nothing they could do. But we was a shock when they wrote me back and told me to donate mine to charity or give it to someone in need, that they were shipping me a brand new replacement. I was in total shock and I cannot say enough about how pleased I am and will be doing more business with him in the future. Thank you Wayfair so much.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Recently purchased some bar stools and a large patio umbrella. Bar stools shipped extremely quickly and were at my door in 3 days. Stool quality was generally good with some screw holes slightly off, but was still able to use the original hardware and everything went together and is very solid. I'm an engineer by trade and a hobby carpenter, but I decided to go store bought for this need and don't regret it. Have received a lot of compliments.

The patio umbrella was more complicated. Shipped quickly, but did not come with the base which was included in the product description. Made a request for missing parts on their website and got an automated reply that parts would be shipped. Didn't hear from them for a few weeks and seeing all the horror stories lately feared the worst. Sent a message to customer service and received a prompt and courteous reply with a tracking number. Got the stand a few days later. Umbrella and stand seem well made upon first inspection. This was an overall good experience. There was an issue with one of the products, but Wayfair made it right with very little effort on my part. Considering the logistics nightmare caused by COVID-19, I am more than happy with the service and company. Give them a shot.

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 9, 2020

Decorated my whole house through Wayfair. I have to say, I was skeptical about ordering online, but Wayfair made it not only very easy, but I was able to keep within my budget and the products purchased were great quality/buys! I did have an issue due to the timing of my move and shipments wherein the items were not able to be held on vacation hold due to the Fedex's policy (NOT Wayfair) but I will say, they worked with me EVERY step of the way with calls providing updates from the customer service reps. Robin was especially amazing and helpful. All items were packaged very well and I have to say the quality was far better than the furniture store that I had purchased before finding Wayfair. So I highly recommend this company. Topnotch customer service team also. The employees all seem to be very happy and go above and beyond.

Original review: March 7, 2020

Ordered 9x12 carpet, grey and white. Received carpet and didn't realize until after it was all laid out that the pattern seemed off. So I looked at my invoice where it shows picture and it was completely different in regards to pattern-still grey and white though LOL in fact, I used the carpet's sticker to try and search Wayfair for this specific rug they sent and I can't even find it on there! Other than receiving the wrong rug (which I am just going to keep because I do actually love it), shipping was on time. I just can't believe wayfair shipped the wrong item. I understand so many of the "wrong item" reviews now! Rug in living room is one I didn't order, screenshot is of rug I actually ordered.

Original review: March 5, 2020

It's clear to me Wayfair hires and trains great customer service representatives and managers. It's already nice that the website is functional and easy to use but when questions or problems inevitably arose the service team knew exactly what to do and tried to resolve the problem as quickly as possible. PayPal screwed up my payments after a credit card declined due to a bug (I had the credit available), and PayPal decided to then charge the entire amount to my bank checking account without ever asking or even notifying me. I did NOT have my bank account set up as a primary or backup payment method. Among 5+ payment methods to choose from in my PayPal account, none of which are set as preferred payment methods, what makes PayPal think they have the right to charge my bank account unauthorized?

Despite this incredibly stressful event that almost left me without money for rent, Wayfair still solved the problem for me after I made a couple calls over the course of two days and I had my money back and had my credit card directly charged instead for the order. As a result of this however, I will never use PayPal again unless it's my only option.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

I ordered a chair on November 28 1 to 2 week delivery. Now new year January 10 no chair. Emailed customer service and they said that they had no tracking number yet for the item and said look at the site for updates. I would not order again and will let everyone I can know not to also.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

Wish it could be NO stars. While shopping online, I got notified from my bank of a withdrawal from my account... from WAYFAIR! It went through PayPal, which was not linked to Wayfair. Wiped out my bank account. I immediately (within 5 minutes) canceled everything, while trying to figure out what happened. I contacted Wayfair and they said they canceled all but one item... the most expensive... because it had been shipped.

I would have to wait for it to arrive and arrange to have it sent back. (I asked how they shipped within 5 minutes...no answer.) Today, SIX DAYS later, I get a message from WAYFAIR saying my item shipped. SIX DAYS ago it couldn't be canceled because IT HAD BEEN SHIPPED! I also have not been refunded for the other items. Automatic payments are now being denied from my account because of THEIR MISTAKE. They had the nerve to send a 10% off coupon off a future order (A FUTURE order?! Ha!) I am hoping these reviews and a local tv story will keep others from this headache!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

Do not buy from Wayfair!! I have placed 3 different orders in the last 6 months and each order resulted in refunds because Wayfair never shipped my items. When I asked Wayfair about the status of each order they had the same response -- our supplier was unable to fulfill. If that is true, why would Wayfair take my money and hold it until I demanded a refund? I am convinced their business model is one of simply taking a float on customer funds until they demand refunds.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

Every transaction I have made with Wayfair has been a horrible experience involving hours of fightings, callbacks, e-mails, and reschedules. My first ordered, they were not able to cancel, and despite confirming the cancelation was within minutes, they wanted to charge me a fee for "returning" the very product I was canceling. The next product did not arrive with any of the screws, and the time for the screws to be delivered was longer than it would take for an entire new coffee table to be delivered. So in the end their solution was to send me an entirely second coffee table, so I had one with screws and a series of parts I had to dispose of myself. Then I ordered a dresser, upon realizing I ordered a child's dresser I had to wait 5 days to find out of the warehouse could cancel the order. They could not, for whatever reason, and I had to return it myself. Again, I had to fight for them to waive return costs.

Finally, with the correct dresser, I asked for help building this. I live alone and have a bad knee. The assembly agent was not able to arrive for nearly a week after the initial order. This wasn't too big of a deal, however, the day of the schedule the agent was a no call no show. I had to work with two agents, and all they could do was give me a follow up call the next day for a reschedule. Wayfair will not compensate you for any mistakes, errors, or miscommunications even if they admit to it. Nor do they have any escalation pathways to speed up resolutions. You can get the same products for less with better service at Target.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

I ordered a couch on November 26th, and was given a delivery date of December 10th. I knew it would probably take a bit longer due to the season etc. So I waited and checked the website daily. On December 22nd it said it was unable to be delivered due to heavyweight, but that I would contacted. I didn't receive anything, no notice, no calls. So I checked again and it said it had been delivered on December 29th. So on January 4th I called Purolator to find out where it was. They said they tried to deliver it on December 29th but no one was home. We were definitely home all day on the 29th. But they told me they would have the depot contact me to make arrangements to be delivered, and they would contact me the next day. I didn't hear anything, but then got an email asking for the package information so they could track it down.

The next day still nothing from them, so I emailed back asking where it was and what was going on, I have a life and can't sit around waiting for them. I received an email stating they were trying to find it and would get back to me. At this point I am angry. I contact Wayfair and they contacted Purolator, who told them a trace was on the package... So Wayfair offers to send out a new one... Who knows when this one will get here. I think Wayfair needs to figure out who they are shipping with and make sure they are actually doing their job.

Wayfair Company Information