3.6/5 (921 ratings)

About Wayfair

Wayfair is an online retailer that sells furniture and household items, including fixtures, appliances and cookware. With the "Room Ideas" section of its website, customers can explore curated home design styles and purchase items from those collections. Most items are eligible for returns and full refunds within 30 days of delivery. The Wayfair Credit Card Program lets you receive discounts, financing and credit rewards.

Pros

• Rewards and perks
  • Product variety
  • Low delivery fee
  • Registry option

Cons

• Assembly required
  • Some items are pricey

Bottom Line

Wayfair sells a variety of home goods and furniture. The website offers 3D visualization tools, gift registries and store credit cards. Customers can use filters on the company's website to make searching easier.

Top Wayfair Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Decorated my whole house through Wayfair. I have to say, I was skeptical about ordering online, but Wayfair made it not only very easy, but I was able to keep within my budget and...

Verified

I ordered a cocktail table from Wayfair. After reading some reviews I became apprehensive, but I had a great experience, I received both email and texts advising of delivery date ...

Wayfair products and website features

Wayfair’s inventory is made of home goods across several categories. Some of the most popular categories include:

• Furniture: Sofas, coffee tables, TV stands, headboards, dining tables and desks
  • Bed & bath: Comforters, quilts, linens, pillows, mirrors, towels and shower curtains
  • Kitchen: Dinnerware, drinkware, cookware, utensils, appliances and food storage
  • Baby & kids: Cribs, beds, dressers, organizers, bookcases and outdoor toys
  • Storage: Shelves, racks, cabinets, drawers and baskets for all room types
  • Lighting: Chandeliers, sconces, lamps, shades and landscape and solar lighting
  • Outdoor: Furniture, grills, planters, fire pits, trampolines, sandboxes and mailboxes

You can create lists and registries on Wayfair’s website to save wanted items or notify family and friends about particular items on a gift wish list. You must have an account to create a list or registry, but you don’t need an account to shop from one. All registry items include free shipping.

Another helpful feature on Wayfair’s website is the 3D visualization tool, which gives you the ability to create and save rooms to help plan and visualize specific items or furniture in your home.

You can download the Wayfair app to quickly access the company’s extensive catalog, visualize products in your space with the “View in Room” feature, track packages and more.

Wayfair prices

Wayfair offers products ranging from budget items to luxury pieces, so pricing varies based on what you’re shopping for. For budget-conscious shoppers, Wayfair provides a filter-sorting system that lets you look up items by price, sort from low to high or set a custom range.

Wayfair shipping cost

Most orders from Wayfair include free shipping, but the company charges a flat rate of $4.99 for any order less than $35.

Wayfair credit card

The company offers a store credit card that can be used at all Wayfair-managed brands, including AllModern, Birch Lane, Joss & Main and Perigold. Using the card gives you free shipping with no order minimum and other rewards, such as 3% back in rewards or special financing. The card has no annual fee, and it typically includes an introductory offer.

Wayfair FAQ

Is Wayfair owned by Walmart or Amazon?
Neither Walmart or Amazon owns Wayfair. Wayfair was founded by Niraj Shah and Steve Conine in 2002.
Is AllModern part of Wayfair?
Yes, Wayfair operates five branded retail websites, including Wayfair. The other sites are AllModern, Birch Lane, Joss & Main and Perigold.
Is Wayfair a reliable website?
The Wayfair site is reliable and used by consumers across the United States. To view customers’ experiences with Wayfair and its website, read our most recent reviews.
Is Wayfair good quality?
Products on the Wayfair site are good quality, though the company does not manufacture the products it sells. Customers who are unhappy with their purchase can return or exchange the item at no cost.

Is Wayfair legit?

Yes, Wayfair is a legitimate company with safe practices surrounding shopping, shipping and consumer privacy. Wayfair provides customers with a one-stop shopping experience that lets you purchase home goods, furniture and appliances from one site. The company has several features on its website and app to help shoppers visualize Wayfair products in their home, which is helpful to online shoppers. Some items can be pricey, but Wayfair offers a vast selection of products at a range of price points.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wayfair?

Original review: June 19, 2022

I bought a rug and living room table, both on sale and very reasonable for a retired senior. I made a mistake and ordered the wrong size and then they replaced it, but the color was the wrong one. When I told them how much I had to pay for the help to put the rugs down, move furniture and help with the packaging for the returns, they deducted all that from the rug price. The rug is beautiful and so is the table. There is never a problem with Wayfair about returns. Each time I've called with a problem, the CS Rep goes above and beyond to resolve it, staying on until the problem is resolved. Yes, some of their products are not on a par with Ethan Allen or other high-priced furniture stores, but these items are sturdy, well-made and will last, and are very beautiful. Another good thing with Wayfair is the large selection for every type of furniture. I shopped until I found what I wanted.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

We purchased a sectional from Wayfair. The shipping took a long time, but I think that had more to do with the shipping company. When it was first delivered, only half of it arrived, the other half was lost somewhere in the shipping warehouse. It eventually arrived 3 days later, with a tear in it. Wayfair immediately sent a replacement, and advised us to discard the ripped part. Overall, the customer service is great, they always fix their mistakes. However, I wish they would put some effort into finding a more reliable delivery service.

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

I ordered a bed that was back ordered by about a month. It was a 2-piece shipment and only one piece made it to me. The other piece was damaged by FedEx. After days of fedex being unresponsive, they finally advised it was damaged and being sent back to wayfair. I immediately contacted wayfair through their online chat and someone got to me in under a minute. They advised a replacement wouldn’t be shipped for ANOTHER month (which didn’t work with my timeline at all unfortunately). I asked for a refund since the new shipping window wouldn’t work for me, and they processed the refund immediately. Overall, an unfortunate situation that wayfair resolved fairly and painlessly. I won’t hesitate to shop with wayfair in the future.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

WAYFAIR!! I love the affair we’ve maintained!! Your app is super easy to shop with, and your customer service is phenomenal!!!! I have been blown away by the way you have handled a couple of shipments I ordered lightly. All the products are super great quality! But what really impressed me was the remedy you provided when an order was not tracking from UPS. Not only did you send me a 2nd shipment of the item I ordered, but when I ordered patio furniture and two pieces were damaged ~~ you immediately sent the replacement parts! AND you actually sent more parts than I needed! I appreciate your generosity so much! When I discovered that I had an extra shipment I called and your customer service was so lovely about making things right. You told me to go ahead and keep the second shipment for all of the trouble I had when I placed an order in April that was out of stock. WOW!!

You also sent me an apology email with a coupon for 10% off my next order AND $20 off coupon as well!! NO company treats customers like this! THANK YOU!!

It’s also wonderfully convenient that I can call on a weekend night and Customer Service is available! I am WOWED by you, WAYFAIR!!!! I think your prices are quite reasonable and the only issue I have is staying on your app toooo long! The one thing that could use some improvement ~~ if someone orders an item and they don’t get it because it's out of stock, it would be nice to let the customer know.  Super happy with you and I foresee a very lengthy relationship between us!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

I found the model and size I was looking for, at a very reasonable price. The quality is also very good. It requires assembly but the instructions are very clear and the task is straightforward. I was looking for a very special item since it is for an office with reduced space. Before buying it, I checked the furniture stores in my area and found that they do not carry armless couches. (One only model that I found was a lot more expensive than the one I bought at WayFair.) I had to call customer service for an issue related to delivery. I was very impressed by the quality of the customer service: talking to an actual person, DeVonne, who was very kind and helpful; a one of kind experience.

Original review: June 18, 2022

Purchased item as listed in title: "painting on canvas" and in the product overview: "one of a kind" and in the details: "painting", "acrylic painting" and "wood frame". However the delivered product was a merely digital print, possibly on canvas (hard to tell as it was glued to hardboard) with a particle wood frame, not even connected at corners well. Ok, I will accept particle wood is 'technically wood', but most people would not call it wood. Just like leather and plastic-leather are not the same. Or food and edible are not equivalent. Completely fraudulent listing in my opinion. I recognized it would not be "one of a kind" as it's Wayfair doesn't sell unique items, but I expected it to be a at least a proper and real printing, reproduction, or copy, not simply a image printed.

Customer service did provide a discount when I contacted them, without question and argument (clearly they are aware). As I bought this 'painting' on 70% sale, I will not complain further, but will not likely purchase again, and this review is being done. Interesting this item changed price for a few days, $140 to $40 when I bought it, then next week back to $140 then today was $140, then 15 mins later $100. After I got my refund, however they did not correct the fraudulent/misleading listing wording.

Original review: June 14, 2022

Scammers! Totally scammers! I've tried to canceled order that has not been shipped yet and they don't allow me to do so cause "it's too far in the shipping process". 3 days later I got an email that it has been shipped... Initially promise to deliver between June 14-16. In fact will be delivered on June 21. And I will not be able to return it because it's an open box. Money wasted. People don't make a business with this company.

Original review: June 4, 2022

The materials and diagram-based instructions are great. I would have given them 5 points but for one serious defect: They tried to cut costs by providing a soft aluminum square Allen wrench that warped and was unusable before even finishing half the assembly. I had to go buy an iron wrench to complete the assembly. If they replace the Allen wrench with an iron one, this would be a really great deal.

Original review: June 3, 2022

I have successfully used Wayfair for clients as a designer and personally for several years. In the last 2 years however, the quality of the furniture, the packaging and the customer service have completely gone downhill. Furniture repeatedly shows up with missing pieces or damaged. They replace it with more damaged furniture and replacement parts for missing items take weeks to arrive. Customer service reps while friendly, are not given the authority to rectify the situation aside from sending replacement items that show up late and damaged making them order processors, not actual customer service representatives. I've spoken to several designers that have had similar or even identical issues and we not only refuse to use Wayfair going forward, we advise people to avoid them at all costs.

This company went from being a trusted, respected partner with quality, affordable furniture and stellar customer service to a company that does not care about the quality of their merchandise or their customers once they have your money. Plenty of their competitors are happy to take their business and actually care about their reputation not just the bottom line.

Original review: June 1, 2022

I received an email today titled "Last Request Before Collections: Wayfair Order..." which says A) "We have made attempts to contact you regarding payment but have not received a proper response" and B) That I owe money for a previous order. Not only have I never received any prior notifications about an outstanding balance, but also the order in question had its shipping fee refunded to me because they never sent the original item and I was not paying for expedited shipping.

This email is absolutely unacceptable and I do not take kindly to the threat that they will "take legal action". They're trying to bully me into paying money I do not owe.

Wayfair Company Information