1.32/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2415 Home Depot Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I bought these major appliances in 2017 and got the extended warranties. Both of them have a seal and a gasket issues. Both defective from the companies. Home Depot refuses to fix them. The refrigerator builds up ice inside the door which pushes the door slightly open, not enough for the alarm to go off. And fruit flies are also getting in the freezer. The washer leaks water when you open it because the gasket has a hump in it. Suppose to be flat. The water is suppose to drain back into the washer, not out. You pay big bucks for these items and the refuse to fix them. Not right at all that the customer plainly is getting screwed with your pants on. And they get away with selling defective appliances.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

We are still waiting for this to be delivered. Husband went to store in Evansville, IN and went to pay and had left his debit card at home, so, he ordered online. He saw they still had them in stock at the store and asked if he could come back over and pick one up. He was told no because a delivery ticket had already been printed (how hard is it to just delete). So we’ve been waiting for 10 days and was supposed to be delivered yesterday, guess what, no delivery and no tracking information.

He started calling both Evansville stores and was very rudely told he had to contact the .com since that is where the problem is. They said they tried to call, false again. He just told me that he’s been on a 30 minutes conference call with the .com and the logistics company and they will call to let us know when to be home once it’s on the truck. It damn well better not be another 10 days! What has happened to customer service, seems nobody cares anymore and is always trying to pass the buck. We have been loyal customers with Home Depot, but, Lowe’s it will be from now on! Don’t waste your time with runaround!

Get expert buying tips about Home Supplies and Tools delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

We bought windows from Home Depot a year ago and the screens do not fit and they are making no real effort to fix them. Please don't use their installation services. We are in Bonita Springs, Fl. and very disappointed with not being able to use our expensive windows to enjoy our winter weather.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

This place lies to you and screwed with your life. I had a defective toilet, been using it for about 9 months. I didn’t really know how to proceed with it since I never had a broken toilet before. So I went to the store and asked if I can get an exchange or refund. They told me they could only do store credit. I said fine, so I bought a new toilet, and asked them if it’s ok to bring back the old one after I get the new one installed, they said sure. They made it clear I will only get store credit. I said again, that’s fine.

After paying my plumber and get the new one out in, I took back the old one nicely packed. Then they say, "Oh no, we can’t take it back." I said I was promised they will give store credit that’s why I bought a new one and dragged this heavy stuff from home to here. Still, didn’t care. Now the manufacturer will exchange my old toilet. But what am I supposed to do with two new toilets? I only bought the new one because I was promised to get a store credit. They denied that what I was promised, and told me the last person was wrong. Well how is it my problem? Your own store employee was wrong especially she talked to a supervisor as well that day. This is totally messed up, misleading, and not good business practice. In a sense, I felt this is a new version of switch and bait. This needs to be fixed.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Never again. Beyond the customer service and quality of brand, Home Depot has become the McDonald’s of chain stores for home services. It took over 2 weeks for a Dishwasher to be scheduled only to be told I may have to wait another month before seeing it. Add calling an associate to request a refund I was told she was too busy to call the manufacturer and have it cancelled. Called the manager and he couldn't give me a turnaround time for when he will call to have it completed. I use to always vouch for Home Depot as the traditional home services store and I will never go back again. Lowe’s will have my service going forward. The reviews are already poor on Home Depot so, this shouldn't be new information going out into the world.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Depot?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I just bought. GE refrigerator and stove and Home Depot was wonderful. Dave in appliances was so thorough and helpful and Alexander was perfect when he delivered them. He made sure everything was working and just like I wanted it before he left. I will be back! Thanks guys!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Our hot water tank installation was a nightmare! The first hot water tank didn't work and the installer was very rude and damaged our from stairs taking the tanks in and out of the house. Then some the solder joints leaked and I woke up the next morning to a flooded basement. This was a year ago March and I have not had any reimbursement for the distress and damage my daughter and I have had to deal with. We couldn't lift the soaking wet boxes of clothing and fabric, and everything in our storage room including part of a unique record collection was ruined. Twice the plumbing company that they set up to fix the problem went out of business before they came to do the work. We had to wait several months before someone finally came and fixed the shoddy installation.

I contacted the store, customer service, and installations several times, and when I finally got in touch with someone that could do anything about getting this resolved they deflected back by saying that this happened long time ago as if it was my fault for not getting in touch sooner. If you are going to get Home Depot to install anything I would ask what company is doing the installation and get several references from that company before you let any Home Depot installations take place in your home.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I think Home Depot says they support veterans to get the attention... They will not give a discount for online orders. Since the stores really don't carry anything it's kinda useless. Lowe's will honor your service anywhere.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

If you are considering Home Depot home services, don't! The work was decent, and the product acceptable, but they do not stand behind their products or services. I have for 2 years now, been given every excuse, every story. Lied to, misled, and after two years no further ahead. I have 1 window that has leaked since day 1 when it was changed. And for all of the promises, they have yet to fix it, or repair the water damage inside my home or even say sorry. I'm sorry but just don't bother, spend your money on a company that cares, because this one just doesn't.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I had my Pergo flooring ordered in Home Depot at Downers Grove, IL. The female in charge of installation named Terri and her boss named Nitch. All my floor installation, the contractor didn’t use any silicone or foam rod to seal the perimeter which they suppose to do so. When they installed my stairs they cut through the drywall and messed up my newly painted wall leaving me a few long huge gaps along the stairs. And they told me that the cuts were there covered by stringers. I told them that there were no stringers ever. And they asked me if I do understand the English word “stringer”. The contractor and manager Terri did nothing but denying laughing at me.

This is racial discrimination. They not only messed up the $1300 stairs but also disrespect themselves. I don’t see any reason I will continue to shop at Home Depot anymore. They are nothing but a bunch of **. The I got the email, telling that the cuts were covered by the carpet and I couldn’t see. But I am the one who pulled all the carpet out and paint the wall. And they denied my claim. They denied the claim based on my race not pictures and evidence. I am taking this to legal action and will file complaint against Home Depot, because Home Depot is a ** faker who claim to honor Veterans but do ** to Veterans and customers.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Home Depot is the worst!! I have ordered a stackable washer and dryer. This is my 3rd delivery! I don’t know if it’s the company they use to deliver the products or GE but either way no one cares. Each appliance has been damaged! I don’t mean a light scratch on the side but DEEP DENTS like the appliance was ran over by the delivery truck! Incompetence! How does this keep happening? It’s a waste of money all the way around!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

My air conditioner went out in August and it took Home Depot to get Indoor Comfort 2 weeks to come out and then it took another week or two to get installation started. They had a man check air flow then and came out again to check it and he said it might not can be fixed a new unit 7100.00 later. I have kept on through the Decatur Home Depot which is a nightmare and I called a lady at Indoor Comfort and she said the man is on vacation which was another man's name she said he would be back Oct. 15 and then I called to ask the time he was to come out and it was not the man they said.

Then I talked with the Service Manager and he came today and he did several things but he said he was going to have to get the installation team come to check that far back flex for the kitchen where barely any air coming out and he swore he could fix it. It has been a run around through Home Depot which they sell you on that. Home Depot backs it 3 years and now this so called manager says by law there is just so much they can do.

So I call Atlanta and get a case number and let's see if that will work. If not the FTC is going to get a call from me and file a complaint. I'm sick of this mess plus while he was here today he got another call of an installation having trouble on an older home. So watch what you do. I have warranty papers and certificates and everything but is it worth the paper it is written on. Brand new unit and all the guts of the unit to distribute is new. That kitchen vent worked before. This is the second bad experience with Home Depot I have had and it was all my appliances. If they have a problem with a company installing air conditioners that is bad. The buck is being passed and it is going on 3 months now almost.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Went to Home Depot for a brand new dream kitchen. It turned into a nightmare from the design specialist to installer to the finish of the project. We are left with deficiencies, and products that were switched out without our permission or knowledge. Home Depot has thousands and thousands of our dollars and we are left with a nightmare. Several emails and request have gone unanswered. They are simply waiting for us to go away. Biggest mistake of our lives was walking into Home Depot to look at kitchens. Absolutely no customer service.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I placed an online pickup order yesterday around 10 am. I went to pick the item up around noon. There was only one elderly gentleman working at the “Service Counter.” He could not even see his computer screen. He was trying to help another couple for about 20 mins. I do not mind waiting, but this is excessive for an online PICKUP.

I could have gone in the store 3 times, purchased the item, and checked out. Instead, I had to resort to speaking to a floor supervisor who was not polite or helpful. He and another man made a call and said that the service counter "is apparently not moving fast enough for me.”. I asked the man if he could walk next door and retrieve my drill for me. He said he couldn’t and proceeded to take a customer that walked up. He even had them step around me instead of being helpful.

I wait at the Service Center for another 5 minutes, and Tonya appears to help me. Oh boy is she excited about it! I explained my situation again and she was unhelpful. Then, a Lift Operator named Ashley who was the MOD came over to me and gave me no good reason. She said it was a common complaint across the company. This is unacceptable and I will not be using Home Depot in the future. I will also be telling every single person I know to do the same.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

West Jordan Home Depot Utah. We was having issues getting our old hitch off the back our truck. These kids working in tool and rental helped us to get the new ball and hitch on we rented a skid steer. Young men Sam and Andrew and Jacob made sure we was taken care of and safe and amazing young men. Very satisfied. Deserve a 10.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Google searched for product, it gave me 4 diff companies. Home Depot was listed as having great deal, 60 some % off of a (4 pack). From 299 To 74. So we went to their site, to buy, no price. No deal. We called customer service about ad on Google. Scam/bait and switch.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Paid for 47 boxes of floor tile at a great price. When I went to pick it up they decided they would not honor the price and they will not give me the tile I paid 2 week ago unless I pay more. I think they are racist and want to extort more money from me because I'm Hispanic.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Last Friday (October 26) a crew arrived to deliver and install a replacement dishwasher. I bought it at the Cincinnati Colerain Rd. store where they assured me that it would be delivered and installed. The installers refused to do the installation because I had a granite countertop and it would require drilling 2 holes in the side of the cabinet opening for the side mount.

They suggested that I get a plumber to do it and refunded the installation charge. This is an incredibly simple job. It requires two pilot holes drilled into the cabinet sides and 2 screws. The installers seemed happy that they did not have to do the work. Home Depot needs to get a new installation company. This is ridiculous. Best Buy, Lowes and our local appliance store said granite countertops were not a problem. Do you think that I would buy another appliance a Home Depot?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Over one year ago we asked Home Depot to replace a flat roof on our outside patio. Our concern was pooling waste due bad drainage - we were clear that the roof had to be properly pitched - the salesman understood and assured us it would be taken care of properly. Shortly thereafter we noticed no improvement. Large pooling, sitting water. After several complaints we were told they would re-do the work but would have to wait until the following Spring because of the onset of winter. Since March 2018 we have been trying to get this done --- a lot of passing the buck. We have spoke to numerous people - poor feedback and referrals to different people. Someone called and said that "pooling" is normal? We were incredulous but if they knew this then they certainly should've said so and not taken our money! We are extremely dissatisfied and will ultimately have to get an attorney involved. I would never recommend Home Depot for anything!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Ordered Bruce hardwood floors from Home Depot and it was a nightmare from the beginning. The installers cancelled the appointment the night before after I had submitted time off from work. Installers arrived the following Saturday and neither one of the two installers spoke English. Every time I had a question or concern I was given one of their mobile phones to communicate to their manager. Workmanship was poor and they had to come back a few weeks later to tear up and reinstall some boards. On top of that the flooring is an inferior product and they had to come back a third time to remove boards which had jagged holes in it, splintered wood and a rough finish.

I continued to call my local Home Depot in Marlboro, NJ and the manager would not take my calls. The install department was more accommodating and I requested that an independent inspector come out to evaluate the floors. It was determined that the holes, divots, roughness was characteristics of the floor and there was nothing I could do. My granddaughter got two splinters in her feet from the wood and if you wear socks on the floors it grabs your socks. We now have to wear shoes in our bedroom in order to avoid the above. The wood samples we received from Home Depot were not indicative of the wood we got; we would have never ordered it. Customer Service is awful and spent $6000 on floors we absolutely hate. Will probably have to spend more money to engage an attorney to pursue on our behalf.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Their customer service starts at the bottom and works its way down. I placed my online order expecting it to come from my local store. But no, Home Depot had more important things to do so the order for 536 bricks were split between two other stores, further away (not the one that had the items in stock 3 miles away). Tried calling both the Stanford Ranch and Roseville CA stores to find the status of my order and was hung up on at least three times at each store. I asked to speak to a management team member at each store (11:00 AM) and each store replied their manager was at lunch and no other manager was on duty. So as I type this I only know that my order MIGHT be delivered by 8:00 pm as their official statement is it will be delivered between 6 am and 8 pm.

What an extremely lousy way to handle customer service. LOWE'S will be my choice as they give a 2 hour, not 14 hour delivery time, and call to confirm first thing in the morning... not 1/2 hour before delivery, and at the same or lower price. Worst customer service I have ever experienced and they have lost my business (over $15K this past year). Lowe's, here I come!!! (You can blame Home Depot Corporate Management 100% on this one as the buck stops at the top).

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

We had 2 appliances delivered on 10-23-18. The new ones were delivered fine. It was when the old fridge was being moved downstairs the guys dropped it and damaged the stair tread and the refrigerator. The delivery guys tried to make light of the situation by telling my wife that it could just be glued back and that it was no big deal. When my wife asked how did the tread get broken (only then did they admit to dropping the refrigerator.)

I called Home Depot to submitted a claim a very easy process. But then came the delivery company (Daryl Flood) call to challenge my claim. Mr. R ** asked me about the damage which I explained was the stair tread and damage to my old refrigerator. At that point he asked me how old my fridge was, I told him that it was 20 yrs old, at that point Mr. Wilson asked me what I wanted for the damage on an old fridge that was not worth anything. I proceeded to tell him that is not how I view it. We ended the call by him blowing me off by saying, "Well have a nice day."

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

When purchasing a Maytag washer and dryer in July 2018, at the Canton, OHIO, HOME DEPOT, I was encouraged to put the washer and dryer on their credit card, as there is 0% interest, if balance is paid in full within one year. When I received my first statement, it stated BOLDLY, ONE YEAR..."HASSLE FREE" returns!!! Not true, AT ALL!!! Spent a lot of time there and was told "I" have 48 hours to rent a truck, and bring them back to the store!!! I could get a refund, (minus stocking fee). They said, the items they are refering to must be UN-opened. Who in the world can tell if they "like" their new appliance of ANY kind, without first using it! I'm a senior citizen and they want ME to get a truck and haul them back to the store! UGGGGG. That sure doesn't sound like a "Hassle Free" return!

Resolution response: Oct. 25, 2018

Home Depot stepped up to the plate to make my project work, with no hassles. No hassles. I was treated with respect, and my concerns were taken seriously by an assistant GM. I wasn't referred to any lower level folks except to facilitate progress. I was contacted every time I was promised, with helpful results. Not at any time was a "no" involved. THANK YOU HOME DEPOT!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I ordered a full set of Thomasville kitchen cabinets from Home Depot. They went into production on time, and were delivered as promised. We had the kitchen measured 2 times prior to payment, and one time after that resulted in a 3 inch change. Something in the plans got mixed up or skewed, my island at almost 11 feet long was short 3/4" for an 24" appliance bay. Crown molding was also incorrect. In one trip to the store, I was able to start a professional and courteous path to my project's success, which cost HD $2,200 out of pocket. It took a week for manager approval, but the materials were ordered and delivered as promised. The outcome is amicable despite a 3 week delay in construction, and I would recommend using this service despite this issue.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

We contracted to have our kitchen cabinets refaced. We were told it would take approximately 4-5 days. The most unprofessional man and woman showed up. Every morning they spent the first hour in the bathroom and most of the rest of the day in their truck smoking. Two weeks into this they still weren't finished and what they had done looked awful. Quite a few of the cabinets had been measured incorrectly which was not their fault but they were going to leave without finishing what they could and fixing what they had done. They were forced to come back on Sat and rudely told us how we had inconvenienced them by insisting they come back. They did leave without fixing anything. After many calls and all kinds of empty promises they finally sent a man from Buckeye Cabinet Refacing.

He took one look and said it could not be fixed. He came back and took another week tearing it all out and redoing it. He did do good work but we were still waiting on some cabinets that had not been finished yet. When he left he said call him when the rest of the cabinets came in and he would finish. When they finally showed up we called and called and called and he would not return our calls. So more calls to Home Depot. They finally sent some poor guy who only worked once in a while to finish. Now we have drawer fronts falling off and bulging beneath the laminate they installed and all we get from Home Depot is, "You signed off." Save yourself some grief and don't hire Home Depot.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

The dishwasher is OK. A major part failed on a fairly new machine very quickly. Took 3 weeks to get someone to make an appointment to come out to look at the machine. The gentleman that did come was from GE. Nice and polite and showed up when he said he would. Last and only positive interaction with Home Depot. The guy who came out said part would be drop shipped to me and that he'd be back the following Saturday. Waited all day, no show no call.

Called on Monday was informed back ordered part. They'd let us know when to expect it. Never called. Called Home Depot after another 2 weeks they blamed GE. Said they had the part and would deliver immediately. Arrived 2 weeks later. Still nobody come out to fix the dishwasher. We're now at about 3 months and they are no longer returning my calls. Calling Better Business Bureau and Channel 5's consumer line tomorrow. Oh and on their warranty they guarantee quick repair of appliance replacement if they can't.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

After reading some of the reviews they almost appear to be vindictive. I never really write reviews, however after reading some of these, I feel it is necessary to relate my experiences. On 14 October I went looking for a 4 door french Samsung fridge. I checked out everyone all day long and when checking out Home Depot I was advised that not only was their price the lowest, they would guarantee lowest price plus 10% cheaper. I found the fridge I wanted at Lowe's for 3698 but it was damaged back and front and although listed at 3600 I was able to talk them down to 3000 delivered, however that was a damaged unit. Then Rona had a buy 2 of same brand and save the taxes which is basically a 12% discount.

I then went back with their offer to the very nice lady at Home Depot, she confirmed my paperwork and applied the discount to the fridge plus the additional 10% and free shipping. It was a very smooth transaction, no arguing or fine print just matching the lowest price I found plus an additional 10% off. I was given a choice of delivery dates which were confirmed 3 times by text/phone call and even received a phone call from them confirming my measurements for the larger than normal fridge would fit.

On the confirmed delivery date I received a call 15 minutes ahead of truck arrival and they arrived with my fridge boxed 15 minutes later as promised. The fridge was boxed upon arrival and was unboxed in my presence, the truck remained on the street so not to mark up my custom tinted driveway and they carefully carried the fridge of 175 kg (380 pounds) by straps into my house.

Never have I had a better purchase and delivery service then what I received from Home Depot. The fridge I purchased was $4242.41 delivered along with a cheap dishwasher for my guest suite. All in all I saved $945 compared to other brand stores including Costco I might mention. Both my wife and I were so impressed with the sale and exceptional service that we went looking for a new wall oven and found one at Leon's on sale for $99 cheaper than Home Depot. Needless to say back to Home Depot, with different sales associate and a savings of $445 with oven to be delivered on this coming Friday.

Like I said previously I do not write reviews, however after over 32 years in Law Enforcement I see how people twist and turn things around to benefit their side, including threats of listing a poor review. I was not asked to write this review, however after reading some of these reviews they really appear to be self-serving, if you read between the lines. So be a proper investigator, judge for yourself and see what Home Depot offers in regards to their price match policy and service. I saved on all three items or both orders the sum of $1,390 and if you consider that I would have paid 12% on top of that for tax it comes to over $1,550. This is now my first review and probably my last, I only wrote it because of all the negative reviews which you do not have to be an experienced trained investigator to see the real reason they are posted.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

In my opinion, this is the worst store I’ve ever seen. I bought a pantry and they refused to bring it to our home and take it out of the box. I was going to return it and they refused many times and the manager finally yelled at me saying they would return it costing me a 15% restock fee. I called corporate and was treated even worse, I would like to give them minus stars because they were so rude to me. Customer satisfaction means nothing to them. Again, this is my opinion. I found someone to get the pantry for me and the pull out drawers were not installed and didn’t even have predrilled holes. The doors do not close right so I am now left with an eyesore. I have an ugly piece of junk in my dining room. I would not recommend the Teays Valley, WV store. They only care about their money, My opinion is stay away from them.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

We used Home Depot because of convenience. The install was to be done Oct. 2, (Daniel-installer). They came, could not speak English. Told them if they had questions I'd be in the kitchen. 2 hours later I get a call from Home Depot, they can't do the install, they will reschedule. A shelf with 4 screws was in the way. I could have removed it in 5 min. The installers had left the house and never told me (because they could not speak English). I fought for a new date 2 days later and said to send me someone who speaks English. First scheduled time 10:00 am, no show, they call, 2:00 arrival, no show, I call them, they don't know, they arrived at 4:00 to do a job that will take 4 hours! They rescheduled. 7 days later final install, looks nice BUT they had unplugged the Verizon phone FIOS box in cellar, emergency battery ran out, shut the phone down.

My mom is 87, house bound, on oxygen. Without a phone line she loses her "First Alert" and any help she would need. I had tried to reach her the next morning and put me into a panic! The manager Christoper ** said "Well nothing happened so that's good, Did you like the carpet?" OMG!! If she had fallen or problems. This entire event was a disaster with management that had no compassion or concern. Inadequate installers (can't speak English). I even think he was tired of hearing from me. This all took over 20 phone calls. NEVER AGAIN! I'd rather pay more for good service.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Customer Service at Home Depot has seriously gone downhill! They advertise to delivery anytime. FAR from the truth! My area only has deliveries on Thursdays and you cannot request morning or afternoons. You get a four hour window and cannot change it. When you call or go to their online chat all you get is the same lip service and no actual SERVICE! They do not care about their customer's time frame. They do not care if their customers get upset by their lack of concern. Certainly do not care that they falsely advertise a service that they DO NOT provide!

Home Depot Company Information