1.33/5

2348 Home Depot Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I was told by the store that if I wanted the military discount, I would have to go online to sign up for it. After searching Home Depot's website with no luck, I called their customer service. Karen got my call. After putting me on hold numerous times, she told me to fill out the form to get a grant to get the discount??? Really, a grant? I asked for the supervisor who was Linda. Rude and condescending. She kept putting me on hold and finally said I had to go back to the store to fill out the form. This whole process took over 1 hour. Unbelievable that NO ONE knew how to get the military discount.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Refers to store #1848 El Cajon, CA. I purchased a washing machine on Sunday, 9/16 from this store. I had to find help in this department. I asked Scott who was standing in the adjacent department if he could help me. His response "Oh I guess I can." I told him what I was interested in for a clothes washer. His information was sparse at best. Fortunately, I had a good idea of the machine I wanted. Scott wrote the ticket up. Everything looked good until I noticed he had charged me for a set of water hoses that I had not asked for. The problem started at this point.

I had paid with a debit card (cash). Scott and other people in the appliance department and at the customer service counter could not figure out how to adjust my ticket. Their solution was to cancel the sale and issue another sale. That would mean I would have to use my debit card again and hope they could issue me a credit on the first purchase the next business day. I declined, their next solution was for me to wait for the delivery in 11 days and return the extra water hoses for a refund. Good grief! I have worked in retail management for 40+ years. We made mistakes, but, we never let a customer leave our store without a resolution to their purchase problem. Especially, if we caused the problem.

Get expert buying tips about Home Supplies and Tools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Never trust Home Depot for the delivery service since they will subcontract other companies to deliver your items. They will call you on the date of delivery stating that the company does not have enough trucks for that. If you can't handle, do not charge customers for the express delivery. Now instead of 2 days it will be 5 days. Do not trust their delivery system.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

They took three tries to get the color right then after two additional trips to the store they did not close the cover properly. Got all over myself and the front floor of my car. 700$ worth of damage. When I left the store they said that they would cover the damage. However 5 days later some faceless smuck from the insurance company called and said it did not matter that the cover wasn't closed properly it was my fault for not securing better. That even though I was still in the parking lot and going 5 miles an hour it tipped over so it was my fault for not securing it better. They would not pay for the damage. When I left the store in good faith after they said they would cover they hid COWARDLY behind a insurance company. SHAME on you Home Depot for outright lying. If I had lied and said I hit a bump they would cover but unlike Home Depot I was taught to tell the truth.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

We purchased a 5 year plan for our new $3000+ LG fridge. It broke twice in 2.5 years. The first time the repair was smooth. This time the repair process has been terrible. No return calls, promises of being there in 4-5 weeks to check out the fridge and lack of compassion overall. Never buy LG and never shop at Home Depot...pass the word.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Depot?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I had ordered a product online that Home Depot did not carry in their stores. After 3 emails pertaining to the delayed shipping dates from the original promised date I received a email that the product had been front door delivered. There was no product at the "front door" and I was at my home all day. I have never not once had a problem with packages being delivered to my home by Mr. B. He seems to know how not to lose your paid for products.

I called the shipping company that Home Depot uses and they basically said it was up to Home Depot to make things right. I called HD's customer service and they said I had to dispute the charges with my bank. What a waste of time and money. Hopefully I will get my money back. I'm just worried that the second package that was with the original order will arrive. It was more money. By the way that second package has been delayed 4 times.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Ordering online with the Home Depot was the worst experience I have ever had. I paid for delivery and installation. They refuse to tell me more than 12 hours before they plan to arrive at my house. They explained that they can't set a delivery window until they load the truck the night before. Then they give you an automated call with your window between 4 and 7 PM the night before. This gives me no time to inform my employer when I will not be in the office. This kind of service more than just poor. It is downright rude. I will not shop here again and neither should anyone else.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

My husband and I will never order any appliance from The Home Depot ever again. On 8/12, we purchased a dryer and set up delivery for that following Saturday, 8/18. We got notification that it would be delivered between 11-1 PM and that we would receive a call 30 minutes in advance. 12:45 rolled around and we didn't hear anything, so I called them. It took all day and ME calling them 4 times to find out that the manufacturer never shipped the dryer and the warehouse never received it. Since it was a Saturday, the warehouse couldn't get in contact with the manufacturer to sort out the delay; I was told somebody would call me back within 3-5 days.

That following Friday came, and I never heard anything so I called again. Turned out that dryer was on back order, and they rescheduled the delivery for today (9/12), without speaking to me first. So, I took the day off work and received notification yesterday that my dryer would be delivered between 10-2. Well, 1:50 rolled around and again, no call. I called The Home Depot and AGAIN, they don't have my dryer out for delivery. The gentleman who took my call got in contact with the warehouse and was told they received it at 7:30 AM, but I wouldn't be getting it today.

After telling them I could not take any more time off work and wasn't going to wait 3 more weeks for a dryer I should have had a month ago, they "graciously" rearranged their schedule to deliver it to me on 9/22. I know it's the manufactures' fault for the delay in shipment, but their customer service and communication sucks. The warehouse should have known well in advance that they didn't receive my dryer, and should have informed me ahead of time that I would not be receiving it.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I recently purchased a refrigerator from The Home Depot. Two weeks later and the appliance has not been delivered. I ADVICE ANYONE PURCHASING A MAJOR APPLIANCE TO SHOP ELSEWHERE. Not only does The Home Depot fail to deliver on their agreements, getting a human being on the telephone is nearly impossible. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. I'll continue to shop at The Home Depot for minor household items but it's unlikely that I'll do so for another major purchase or home service.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

IF YOU ARE THINKING OF USING INSTALLATION SERVICES FROM HOME DEPOT - DON'T DO IT!!! I recently purchased a new clothes dryer from Home Depot. Two installers delivered it but when they plugged it in, there was a loud pop sound. The installers said nothing, moved the dryer away from the wall, and then reset the 30AMP circuit breaker. They started the dryer and while it was running moved it back against the wall and there was another pop sound. They did this a third time but the pop sound was much louder. So one installer attempted to reset the circuit breaker with a hammer, at which point I told them to stop everything. I checked the circuit with a voltmeter and it was dead.

One installer speaking in Spanish only was pointing down to the gas shut-off valve and flexible exhaust vent in the room. I asked what the problem was and they said nothing. They wanted to leave the dryer with me as is, told me to call an electrician, and then wanted to go but I insisted that they take the dryer back. The next morning I had an electrician come in check out the outlet and electrical panel. He replaced the damaged circuit breaker and then pointed out there was hole burned into the flexible exhaust duct and also soot and melted aluminum deposited on the gas shut-off valve. Apparently electrical short circuits were occurring from the dryer power cable or the dryer itself, to the gas shut-off valve. The electrical shorts had melted a hole in the exhaust duct.

The installers were going to leave me with an exposed electrical short in the dryer and possibly a damaged gas line in my laundry room. This was a potential fire hazard or worse yet, there could have been a possible explosion if the gas valve had also been damaged and leaked. Never again will I use Home Depot services. This is the fourth installation job from Home Depot that was a disaster. The previous ones involved carpet installation, flooring installation, and a toilet installation.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Placed an order online on a 6 ft W-frame folding picnic table on August 28th with an expected delivery date of Sept 6th. Delivery didn't happen as promised on Sept 6th through UPS. Called Home Depot online service, I was given a tracking number and monitored the item in transit on Sept 6, ready for delivery on Sept 7th with a time frame at the end of the day delivery. Sept 8th, Sept 9th and Sept 10th came and passed without the item promising to be delivered at the end of the day on those above dates. Frustrated about this I finally called Home Depot customer service on Sept 10th after the time frame ended without any delivery again and spoke with Cindy who called UPS and find out what really happen. She said that deliveries are usually given to a carrier and that Home Depot doesn't have any control of the shipment process. She spoke with UPS and promised that it will be delivered tomorrow Sept 11th.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

We purchased a suite of new Samsung appliances from Home Depot. The refrigerator was delivered damaged. The delivery personnel called Samsung and put me on the phone with them. Samsung said they would replace the door within the week. That was five weeks ago, numerous phone calls and many hours on hold. Whenever I call they say they are going to call me back with resolution, but they never do. So I called Home Depot as well and get a runaround from them too. The last call said they had no record of a damaged appliance. Funny, they never said that on previous calls. Ultimately I purchased the appliances from Home Depot. They are responsible. It’s up to them to fix or replace and resolute with Samsung. Home Depot's customer service is very lacking and I do not recommend making any large purchases with them.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Sept 5 we purchased over $6,000 in appliances at the Home Depot Store, Langley BC. Our sales associate was incredibly knowledgeable, courteous and patient. As we rang in the sale we presented a lower price on a range we saw, she took the time to investigate it through the internet and her supervisor. They gave us the range at the same price PLUS beat it by 10%. She had to open a Home Depot account for us in order for us to save another 10% overall. She explained and encouraged us to purchase warranties and for US it made sense. She did all this even when she was about to walk out the door, she stayed and completed our order. She was so wonderful, Home Depot has won my business! Her name was Carmen and she deserves to be acknowledged and I just wanted to say thank you to her and Connor who rang through the sale for a job well done.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I am a veteran. I have on 3 occasions been denied my discount because my veteran medical card isn't an appropriate form of ID. I have since canceled my credit card and will not shop at Home Depot ever again. Lowe's has never given me a problem so I will purchase most of my home remodel items from them.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Today, I had one of the best customer experiences ever. ** at the 2650 W. Thunderbird Rd., Phoenix, AZ 85023 store helped me fix an order that a past contractor of mine had completely screwed up. And yes her expertise was invaluable. But more importantly she was kind, compassionate, and customer-centric. She made me feel valued as an individual customer.

She was so good that I decided I will now purchase my granite countertops from Home Depot and more specifically from her even if they cost more than the company I was originally going to use. So to be clear she treated me so well that I will not price compare on my future purchases that involve her and her department. Thank you **!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I purchased my LG washer from HD, at a higher price, because I was told it was in another HD warehouse and could be delivered in 3 days. It has now been three weeks and still no washer. The manager declares it is an LG problem, and LG said I should never have been told such information as they never know what models are being shipped from overseas. Home Depot has left me in the middle of this mess with no refund and no way out! DO NOT PURCHASE APPLIANCES FROM HOME DEPOT!!!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

1) Bait and switch: quoted a price at store and salesman quoted another.

2) Prices and service costs/prices NOT transparent.
3) Cancelled based on BREACH of CONTRACT before getting a response from Home Depot (HD).

4) Services provided 6 weeks late (past the original contract date).

If you like hearing "I'm sorry," overpaying, being ignored and your project late, then shop with Home Depot. There's a reason the door/window department is empty at the store. There is no advantage to using a large corporate entity for door/window installation. The final work was nothing close to what was described at time of purchase: e.g. demolition was covered up with cheap aluminum - which I am finishing myself. No customization or changes allowed. Damage to area while being installed needed repair - i.e. more work than doing the job yourself. Some of the work - trim - need to be removed and put back on correctly or replaced altogether. Spent over 20 hrs - everything documented - on the phone with their management & customer service to push the stalled project back on track, over a period of 2 weeks and daily calls to get them to do something... anything. This was very unprofessional and gave me a great insight to how dysfunctional HD is.

Now that I've had the HD experience, I know do better myself or at least the same quality of work. Although I will be on time and save a ton of money, headaches, hassles. At the end of the day, the material cost was a little high and the labor cost was astronomical (1.5 - 2 times more than the material costs). It was my mistake to think HD can do a better job, be professional and deliver on time. Please don't make my mistake. Also, I don't need to hear another "I'm sorry". I already am. I am now using their competition to buy everything needed for two bathroom renovations. They had my business until they lost it.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Called local Home Depot to order a water boss water softener. Told the employee I would need to have it installed. He told me the third party installer would contact me re cost of installation. When the company called they said they would need to see the location. Sounded reasonable, however the individual they sent had only one objective - sell me a $7000.00 water treatment (the water boss is approximately $550.00). When told that wasn’t going to happen, he had no further interest and left. They used my call as an excuse to send a fast talking, high pressure salesman to try and sell a product many times more expensive. What were they thinking?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

My husband and I purchased a Turf Beast self propelled lawn mower when it was being sold by Home Depot online as their special buy of the day. Unfortunately we were unable to use it until the following month because of several weeks of terrible weather. When we finally were able to use it we discovered that it did not work. The self propel feature was non existent and it stalled constantly. The grass was not overgrown and we had it on the highest setting but still it stalled every few feet. So we call Home Depot customer service hoping to exchange this for the exact same item. This was fresh out of the box, so we did not expect it to be an issue thinking that we were just unlucky and got a defective product.

It was then that we learned that the three month hassle free returns Home Depot boasted about when we signed up for our credit card had a clause stating that gas powered products could not be returned or exchanged after 30 days. We had no idea. Even after explaining that we couldn’t test it out in that time period because of weather we were told the same thing. So I straight up asked the representative “Are you telling me that we spent 400 dollars on a product that never worked and yet Home Depot will not do anything about it?” He replied “ Yes ma’am that’s exactly what I’m telling you”. I couldn’t believe it. So now we are left with a 400 dollar piece of crap with a worthless warranty and Home Depot doesn’t care. After years of shopping there nearly every week, I’ll never go back. Very disappointed in the lack of help from Home Depot. They should stand behind their products.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I wanted to remodel my entry way closet and reached out to Home Depot consultation team for a free in home consultation. I filled out the form online and received a phone call the same day for scheduling. However, when my appointment arrived no one showed. I called the number that was provided to me and explained no one showed. Another appointment was provided and again the same thing happened. I called the customer representative number again and the same response was given, "We don't know what happened and we tried reaching out to the consultant and their manager but is unable to reach team." Their solution was to offer me another appointment. Why would I want to make another appointment when my valuable time was wasted twice! If I am already having problems getting a consultation I can't imagine the problems I would have if I decided to hire them for my closet remodeling.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I go to Home Depot several times a week with my husband who's a contractor. Most of the time at Home Depot, there is NEVER AN EMPLOYEE AVAILABLE TO ASK QUESTIONS. I walked around the entire store and found no employees to help me. Where you ask are all of their employees? Stationed at the cash registers of course! Ready to take your money, but NOT available to help you with their merchandise. Is this company really so greedy that they can't hire a few employees to assist customers? Sad.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Bought doors and paid for doors on July 31st. Was told order and install would be 4 weeks out... it's now August 31st. We were told the doors just arrived and it would be September 25th before we could get them installed. I can install the doors myself but I paid to not have to do it. I think it’s ridiculous to have to wait 60 days or longer to get my front and back doors and screens installed. Very bad communication, horrible timeline and horrible customer service.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I ordered a small refrigerator for my motel and it was promised on Tuesday, August 28. Shortly afterwards I received notice it would not arrive until Friday, August 31. I was once again notified it won't arrive until Tuesday, September 4. This is needed for one of my motel rooms. I would never have ordered it from there had I realized the terrible delivery service. The item was last tracked to Richmond, B.C. which is only a few hours from where it needs to be delivered. Why I must wait for days while it sits in a warehouse somewhere is beyond me. STAY AWAY FROM HOME DEPOT!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I rented the tool at Home Depot and returned today. One employee made mistake and overcharged me. I've question on the charge to the other employee (who working in the tool rental instead of just a cashier). Gary told me he saw a mistake and couldn't fixed it unless I wait for the manager to come and fix the mistake.

After half an hour later before the manager showed up, his name is Jeff, he is the manager in the West Lebanon, NH store. The manager tried to tell me I've rented 3 items in the receipt (which I've only rented a jack hammer/one item only).

I've asked the manager to explain why they've charged me 3 items vs one, the manager told me he didn't work in the rental department so he didn't know what went on. The manager told me he was too busy to help me. He had to go and see other customer somewhere else in the store and asked me to wait for Gary waited on the others customers in line (after me) first, then call the manager back in. The manager was very rude and did not event care about the customer, what he said that was what it supposed to, even they've totally wrong about it. He didn't care. This was a horrible experience at Home Depot. I hope someone higher up take this to confederation and speak to Jeff.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Worst delivery experience and customer support. They removed the old dishwasher, hooked up the new one which caused a water leak, refused to put the old back in. When I was contacted for the replacement delivery and installation date, they lied about the date and I had to call in again to find out the real installation date. Meanwhile, I am stuck for 2 weeks without a dishwasher because of their incompetence.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I purchased a cat Halloween item. Item came to me broken. The item had no packing etc. The way the item was sent it happened before it was shipped. Call to get a new one. Stefanie in Resolutions was rude. Asked to speak to a supervisor and she said she was one. The lady before her said they were not. So she lied. Refused to let me speak to one. Have to take broken item to store. I choose shipping so I wouldn't have to go to store. Then I have to order a new one. So they lock my money up 2x before I get credited. Will never shop again. Lowe's would never do this.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

This is the second time HD has called to reschedule a delivery the night before a scheduled delivery date. This time I ordered the range that was in stock. They provided a date 5 days from the order date, but notified me of a reschedule due to the product being backordered. When I ordered it, the system stated there were 5 in inventory. Even worse, the new date is more than 3 weeks away, so I am without a stove for a total of 4 weeks waiting for HD. As I said, it's the second time this has happened to me. Not again with HD.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Bought Whirlpool washer & extended HD warranty. At 2 yr it broke. Called. CS rude. Refused to help at 1st. Finally sent man. Now 30 days & no washer. Leaked water. $2000 water damage to floor. Never again.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

This was an online purchase and return. CS is the worst I have ever encountered in my entire life: disorganized, deceiving, lazy, no sense of urgency, many mistakes, departments do not work together!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

To keep this short. Bought washer, it was delivered 5 days later dented. Refused washer as directed then when they rescheduled my delivery date it was 10 days later. It would be 18 days no washer. Canceled order and was told I could not get a refund for seven days even though it was a cash order directly out of my debit account. I never received a product and needed the money to buy another washer. Did not get my money back and went to Lowe's immediately after and had the same washer home in 45 minutes. I was a loyal Home Depot customer and I will refuse to go there now. When you design systems that fail your customers, you deserve to lose business. Thank you Lowe's. Manager at Home Depot told me he would get in trouble if he tried to bend the rules for me and refund me my money. I want the kind of manager that bends the rules because it's the right thing to do and treats their customers like human beings instead of a paycheck.

Home Depot Company Information