Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
3.53/5
Based on 1,480 ratings submitted in the last year

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

2640 Home Depot Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution response: Oct. 25, 2018

Home Depot stepped up to the plate to make my project work, with no hassles. No hassles. I was treated with respect, and my concerns were taken seriously by an assistant GM. I wasn't referred to any lower level folks except to facilitate progress. I was contacted every time I was promised, with helpful results. Not at any time was a "no" involved. THANK YOU HOME DEPOT!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I ordered a full set of Thomasville kitchen cabinets from Home Depot. They went into production on time, and were delivered as promised. We had the kitchen measured 2 times prior to payment, and one time after that resulted in a 3 inch change. Something in the plans got mixed up or skewed, my island at almost 11 feet long was short 3/4" for an 24" appliance bay. Crown molding was also incorrect. In one trip to the store, I was able to start a professional and courteous path to my project's success, which cost HD $2,200 out of pocket. It took a week for manager approval, but the materials were ordered and delivered as promised. The outcome is amicable despite a 3 week delay in construction, and I would recommend using this service despite this issue.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

After reading some of the reviews they almost appear to be vindictive. I never really write reviews, however after reading some of these, I feel it is necessary to relate my experiences. On 14 October I went looking for a 4 door french Samsung fridge. I checked out everyone all day long and when checking out Home Depot I was advised that not only was their price the lowest, they would guarantee lowest price plus 10% cheaper. I found the fridge I wanted at Lowe's for 3698 but it was damaged back and front and although listed at 3600 I was able to talk them down to 3000 delivered, however that was a damaged unit. Then Rona had a buy 2 of same brand and save the taxes which is basically a 12% discount.

I then went back with their offer to the very nice lady at Home Depot, she confirmed my paperwork and applied the discount to the fridge plus the additional 10% and free shipping. It was a very smooth transaction, no arguing or fine print just matching the lowest price I found plus an additional 10% off. I was given a choice of delivery dates which were confirmed 3 times by text/phone call and even received a phone call from them confirming my measurements for the larger than normal fridge would fit.

On the confirmed delivery date I received a call 15 minutes ahead of truck arrival and they arrived with my fridge boxed 15 minutes later as promised. The fridge was boxed upon arrival and was unboxed in my presence, the truck remained on the street so not to mark up my custom tinted driveway and they carefully carried the fridge of 175 kg (380 pounds) by straps into my house.

Never have I had a better purchase and delivery service then what I received from Home Depot. The fridge I purchased was $4242.41 delivered along with a cheap dishwasher for my guest suite. All in all I saved $945 compared to other brand stores including Costco I might mention. Both my wife and I were so impressed with the sale and exceptional service that we went looking for a new wall oven and found one at Leon's on sale for $99 cheaper than Home Depot. Needless to say back to Home Depot, with different sales associate and a savings of $445 with oven to be delivered on this coming Friday.

Like I said previously I do not write reviews, however after over 32 years in Law Enforcement I see how people twist and turn things around to benefit their side, including threats of listing a poor review. I was not asked to write this review, however after reading some of these reviews they really appear to be self-serving, if you read between the lines. So be a proper investigator, judge for yourself and see what Home Depot offers in regards to their price match policy and service. I saved on all three items or both orders the sum of $1,390 and if you consider that I would have paid 12% on top of that for tax it comes to over $1,550. This is now my first review and probably my last, I only wrote it because of all the negative reviews which you do not have to be an experienced trained investigator to see the real reason they are posted.

Get expert buying tips about Home Supplies and Tools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Sept 5 we purchased over $6,000 in appliances at the Home Depot Store, Langley BC. Our sales associate was incredibly knowledgeable, courteous and patient. As we rang in the sale we presented a lower price on a range we saw, she took the time to investigate it through the internet and her supervisor. They gave us the range at the same price PLUS beat it by 10%. She had to open a Home Depot account for us in order for us to save another 10% overall. She explained and encouraged us to purchase warranties and for US it made sense. She did all this even when she was about to walk out the door, she stayed and completed our order. She was so wonderful, Home Depot has won my business! Her name was Carmen and she deserves to be acknowledged and I just wanted to say thank you to her and Connor who rang through the sale for a job well done.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Today, I had one of the best customer experiences ever. ** at the 2650 W. Thunderbird Rd., Phoenix, AZ 85023 store helped me fix an order that a past contractor of mine had completely screwed up. And yes her expertise was invaluable. But more importantly she was kind, compassionate, and customer-centric. She made me feel valued as an individual customer.

She was so good that I decided I will now purchase my granite countertops from Home Depot and more specifically from her even if they cost more than the company I was originally going to use. So to be clear she treated me so well that I will not price compare on my future purchases that involve her and her department. Thank you **!

Original review: July 29, 2018

On 7/10, I ordered a hot water tank online because the store did not carry the model I wanted. The estimated delivery was 7/24-7/27. Ridiculously long for a tank but I later learned it had to be built! I would've never ordered this online had I known! I wanted to track progress but the details provided were totally useless. I started calling HD store (Tukwila, WA) where I was to PU the unit around 7/20 (since it was shipped 7/13). They had no info either. As 7/24 approached, I called every day only to be informed that it would arrive maybe on 7/25. No tank on 7/25, so it was promised 7/26. No tank on 7/26, so it was promised 7/27. No tank on 7/27. This created havoc for scheduling a plumber! I called warehouse and they told me our order was stalled in Portland, OR and MAYBE we'd get it on 7/30.

On 7/28 we went into HD Tukwila store again and talked to Asst Mgr 'Kris'. She had tracked for us earlier and was surprised we still did not have our tank. She graciously swapped a more expensive model they had in stock and cancelled our online order. She also complimented us a few install accessories for our troubles. She went over and above to help a very upset (and greasy) customer and was apologetic for our frustrating online experience. I learned that going to the store is a better option than online. If I HAVE to order online, next time I will research about delivery before I buy. Kris the Asst Mgr has made a loyal customer out of us!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Depot?

Original review: May 20, 2019

I ordered a pallet of pavestone rocks. When the delivery truck got here they couldn't unload the pallet because the pallet jack couldn't handle the load. Why deliver them in that manner in the first place? Home Depot was suppose to redeliver them and they ended up cancelling my order. They didn't want to "deal" with it. What a sorry company.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Everything you can expect in the way of customer service from a big box store that pays very little to it's employees. The measure center is hopeless, manned by drones who can't answer the most basic question without putting you on hold and getting a manager. Nothing is customizable, it has to work with their cookie cutter software or you're out of luck. Go somewhere else.

Original review: May 17, 2019

We ordered artificial turf that was supposed to deliver on 5/9. The delivery call was made but the carrier said we had to unload the turf from the truck. This delivery is to a residential address, how would they expect us to unload it? Customer service were contacted and was told a resolution within 48 to 72 hours, but we received no call back. We did online chat recently to follow up on the issue and was told that it will take another 7 to 10 days for review. No one makes a heavy load purchase and think they need to unload it themselves. There should have been large prints to inform the consumer if that was the case. I wouldn't have purchased it or seek out another vendor who has carriers that could unload. We are having turf laid out prior to a backyard event but Home Depot is making this very difficult so I am not happy with their service even though we regularly buy their products at the store. Just don't trust them with delivery of large item.

Original review: May 16, 2019

It’s been several months that we have been trying to get satisfaction from a window installation that leaks and now we have water damage. They sent someone out which we thought was suppose recommend options but instead just automatically without discussion sloppily caulked the window. It still leaks and the damage is still there.

Original review: May 16, 2019

When I was looking at buying a new fridge the sales associate said yes there is free delivery and 20.00 for taking away the old one and also that they would hook up my ice maker that they knew how to do do all that. Then I kept looking found one on clearance. So I decided to buy that, now all of the sudden delivery is 99.00. They will not hook up ice maker and will not even with the 20.00 will not take away my old fridge.

I am a single old woman. I have no way to get the old fridge out. I can't move it, have no idea how to hook up a ice maker and should not have to pay 99.00 to deliver it!!!! I paid almost 1500.00 for this. I should receive the same customer service as someone who doesn't buy a clearance item!!! I spend a lot of money at Home Depot and this is how I am treated! This is not right! I am completely upset about this the more I think about and try to figure out how to even move this fridge. I guess Home Depot really doesn't care about about the older people that shop at their stores.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I purchased moldings online and the store called that they were out of them was out of them. I was told I couldn't transfer the order to a store that had them. I had to cancel the order. Easier said than done. Online wouldn't work. Had to call. Phone system is horrible. Finally got a person and got the order cancelled. I have to repurchase the moldings only to find the would hold my money 5 days. They took my money right away but they don't feel I deserve credit right away when it was their screw up. I do building maintenance for rental properties so I am always buying materials. I will NEVER purchase from Home Depot again.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I placed an order for a patio set back in March. In April my order happened to "get lost" during transportation. A 7 piece patio set went missing. No email was sent, I found out when it was past a week from delivery. Since then I have called 2x. The last call was towards the end of April to try and get the order shipped. It was then put on a backorder. Today May 13th, the rep told me that I have until June 17th to receive it and there is no ETA.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Had a lousy $500 Home Depot card and always paid it off. They took it away for some reason. Won't give them my business. Gave no good reason for taking the card away and I needed it for when I rented their vans. Always brought the van back how I got it, never caused any damage and still took my lousy $500 Home Depot card away. Pathetic after spending 10s of thousands there. Do yourself a favor and go to Rona or Home Hardware.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I paid for lumber on a "Will Call" basis four years ago. They called twice saying it was in and I showed up to find out it was a mistake and they still didn't have what I paid for. I borrowed a truck both times. They've never called again and I bought what I needed elsewhere. I emailed them at an address on their website concerning this and they never replied. My email simply got me added to their promotional offers emailings. I know they got my complaint because I now get their generic email offerings. I figure I'm just out my money but I won't go back.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Terrible product! The sales associate highly recommended Behr Deckover, stating it would fill in cracks and make old decks look new. One winter season and it is peeling off in sheets. Reviews are awful, can cause rot.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I purchase a 5 year protection plan for my LG refrigerator from Home Depot. I had 2 large storage bins to break so I file a claim with the protection team. They informed me that my plan would only cover 50 percent because it was cosmetic. When I bought the plan they said it covered everything. I went back to the store in Jackson Ms. and they me a brochure which stated Home Depot would pay 50 percent of the product. I purchased both bins and file my claim for reimbursement. They gave me the run around for 2 months and told me at the end, "We don't cover that." I tried to explain to the supervisor and someone in customer care that someone in the protection plan office said they do. They simply said, "We don't." I will not buy another major appliance from Home Depot.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Got a refund on an item 2 days still has not been credited to my account. Went in to the Home Depot to ask manager about my refund. When I told him I couldn’t believe a multi million dollar company couldn’t do quicker he reminded me Home Depot was a multi billion dollar operation but it takes up to a month to get refund. Yea I see why Home Depot is a multi billion dollar operation. They are making interest off the customer refunds that are sitting in their bank. In my opinion that is a scam move.

Original review: May 9, 2019

If you want to ruin your weekends or wait on Home Depot home delivery, you need to pay for their delivery services. I ordered April 27 and it’s May 10, still keeping my fingers cross. Never again! Will I bother with this mess again, I had much better experience with Lowe’s.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I would like to acknowledge BOB & ALECIA! Both were a pleasure to work with! I had a few issues to resolve, BOB IMMEDIATELY resolved all issues in a very respectable manner! ALECIA was an absolute pleasure to work with! She kept her promise in returning my calls in a promised time frame! ALECIA'S assistance was above expectations!

Original review: May 5, 2019

Deserves negative stars. Bought a new high end dishwasher online thru Home Depot. 2 guys showed up at my house claiming to be the assigned installers. I asked them for a business card/I.D. & none was given. First they tried to shake me down for more money than the agreed & prepaid online installation fee. The installation fee actually costs double, they said. They made vague threats about calling their employer to get a higher billing cost. I called their bluff, saying go ahead & call their boss. Then they said an extra $50 would do the trick, clearly wanting me to just hand over $50 cash. I said call to their office & get the real cost, which never happened. They froze for a bit, stalling to scam their extra $50. I said to call their office & for them to do what you have to to do to complete the installation. Get it done I said, despite their convoluted antics, drama, scams etc.

So the installation began to stumble along. The new dishwasher is different he said so the new one will call more to install. First he said the hole in the wood cabinet partition for the DW drain pipe was too small & must be expanded. Extra work=extra cost he quipped. He spent a few minutes putting a bit on a drill & then made the hole existing ~1 inch hole a little larger. That took ~5 minutes tops. Again he quipped that was more work & more cost. The DW's electrical totally baffled him for a while. The DW comes with 2 electrical kits. One kit that plugs into an electrical outlet like a fridge. The other kit is for hard wiring the DW directly into the power system, as had been the case for my old DW. He was befuddled cuz there was no ready plug in under the sink for him to simply plug in the DW. He said I would have get an additional plugin/electrical outlet added for him to simply plug in the DW.

I called his bluff asking him if he was in fact stating that I would have to employ an electrician. He waffled so I said to hard wire it in. He said he'd try, no promises, but alas that worked. At this point I got my laptop. Went to DW Bosch 800 installation instructions. Found the info on the 2 wiring kits & told him about the 2 wiring kits that come with new DW. He snapped that he had figured that out & was learning on the go. Like he leans by doing with mechanics. Conceding that he had no idea what he was doing. I could not see everything was doing cuz I was on the opposite side of the counter from where he was installing the DW.

He complained that his problems were my fault cuz I had not purchased the right DW for our kitchen. The installer said that the new DW was the short compact version & not designed for regular height kitchen cabinets which we have. Consequently, he left a gap in the between the cabinet counter top & the dishwasher below. He did not secure the DW which is loose & must be fixed. Never use Home Depot!

Original review: May 4, 2019

I will never purchase anything from Home Depot again. On March 30, 2019 I ordered a mini fridge online in Home Depot, with the assistance of the salesperson and a over the counter microwave oven and paid for installation package. The fridge was to be delivered April 2 and micro April 3, 2019. I wasn't told until late April 2, 2019 that they were unable to deliver the fridge until April 3, 2019. They were delivered by two different companies contracted by Home Depot. When the microwave was delivered, I was told the screws that came with the microwave didn't fit into the area and I would have to go purchase some that would, they would come back and install it.

I told them I couldn't do that ASAP, as I was waiting for mini fridge to be delivered. After two weeks of daily calls to Home Depot, and threatening, I was going to contact one of the TV stations in Phoenix that helps people resolve issues I was dealing with, I finally had it pick up by Home Depot and my account was credited on April 15, 2019. I ordered a microwave from someplace else April 29, 2019 and it was delivered and installed May 3, 2019 without a hitch.

Original review: May 3, 2019

All I wanted to do was return a product that I ordered online by using their courier Sameday Worldwide. It's taken me 5 days and over 2.5 hours on the phone with different people to arrange a pickup date. They always ask for "security" purposes my name and address but never once asked for my phone number, which was incorrect, and the reason the product was never picked up. Every time I called they would put me on hold to either "figure" out the problem or arrange another date. I would wait on the phone for a minimum of 20 mins and one day spent 1 hour and 21 mins for them to arrange another pickup. But because Sameday Worldwide had the wrong number they couldn't contact me. So I spent hours on the phone to figure this out.

Today May 3, 2019 I called to ask to speak to a supervisor and the guy transferred me to the survey that you do over the phone, but I wanted to speak to someone. I called back after doing the survey and said AGAIN I want to speak to the supervisor and the person on the phone put me on hold (10min) for him to come back and say we can offer you $50 gift card. I don't want a gift card. I wanted to speak to someone. But this is the mentality it seems. Give him a gift card and send him on his way. They need to fix this system, it's broken, and not user friendly.

I finally spoke with a supervisor who listened but had zero feedback other than to say, "I'm very sorry for your experience." Which every person I spoke with has said to me. Must be the first thing in the manual for them to read. I eventually called Sameday Worldwide to correct my number and they booked an appointment with me for tomorrow. It was that simple when I contacted Sameday Worldwide. Why couldn't Home Depot "customer service" do that!!

Original review: May 3, 2019

Ordered a stove from Home Depot Whitehall PA and FSA trucking company in Gouldsboro area PA was scheduled to deliver between 3 pm and 7 pm. We called at 5 pm because we had dinner reservations at 8 pm and was assured that we would have it by 7 pm. The delivery was never made, and the next day we called to find out what happened. What we were told was they don't know. Now they said, "We can deliver tomorrow", now you figure that the stove is still on the truck? Nope. All trucks are out on deliveries and this call was at 8 am sharp.

We call Whitehall Home Depot and they try to have it delivered and the trucking company FSA held its ground and told that manager it could not be delivered. Now we told each party we came up from NC to have a new stove and other stuff done on the week we were here and would not be back on the day FSA trucking wanted to deliver. So we canceled the order with Home Depot and let them know we will be doing all our large orders with Lowe's. It would of been nice of FSA to call to let us know the delivery could not be made. Home Depot don't care about hiring incompetent trucking companies. Thank God for free market! Going to Lowe's.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I ordered three items on Home Depot website specifically for STORE PICK UP near my home. Home Depot elected to send two of my items to my old address in a different city. I did not change my shipping address as I did not order anything to be shipped. They now refuse to refund my money though they sent item to an address in different city. I would not advise anyone to order from this store as they ignore your specific order requests, deliver items to inaccurate addresses then refuse to give you your money back for their mistake. BIG RIPOFF. THEFT!!!! I am also reporting them to BBB and FTC.

Original review: May 3, 2019

If you are planning a remodeling project please stay away from Home Depot. We ordered a number of items and they either came in damaged or did not arrive as promised. I have called each time and have been hung up on each time. We bought tile and 4/9 boxes were broken into tiny pieces. Our vanity and countertop were promised to be delivered on a Monday, it was delivered on Thursday. Now my project is delayed yet again because my shower base has not come in as promised on 5/2 between 330 pm - 530 pm.

My husband had to go out and purchase a different shower base otherwise work cannot continue. I called a 10th time and a supervisory CS person was calling the carrier US Pack and while on hold I was hung up on. I am tired of being unimportant to Home Depot. I used to shop there all the time but I am switching my business to Lowe's. My suggestion to Home Depot is to change carriers they use to deliver customers' items. I shop online all the time and have never had this many issues. Nothing ever came in broken. You get what you pay for. STAY AWAY FROM HOME DEPOT.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I ordered an impact driver online from Home Depot because they claimed I could pick it up in the store near my house in 3-5 days. It's been 11 days, and the delivery date has been delayed twice. I really needed this tool for a job, and if they didn't lie to me to secure the sale I could have gotten it from Amazon delivered in a day or two TO MY DOOR. I’m shocked that in this day and age when more and more people are shopping online, and with Amazon breathing down every retailer's neck, that a giant like Home Depot can afford to have their heads so far up their **. I’ll never order anything from Home Depot again.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I got a weed eater TB22 EC. I'm really handy with small gas engines. I make a living off of it actually. Troy-Bilt is the most problematic equipment I work on. Not only that when it comes time for replacement parts, such as a carb rebuild kit. Or any other parts, you're better off and going and buying a new one (of different brAnd unless you're fine with buying new every couple years).

This is just for the weed eaters and mowers I've worked on. I can't imagine going with a tractor. You better go with John Deere, or any other name brand. Save you time and the headache. Troy-Bilt, should be called ** built. Also pretty sad that the parts you do get come from Amazon from Hong Kong or some other across seas place. Like really?

Original review: May 1, 2019

I hire Home Depot to do the Kitchen and countertop in my kitchen. They only want to signed the contract agreement and they never follow up on installation or final products. You have to do it yourself. They don't deliver what they promise. The agreement was for more than $17,000. They don't explained all the details of what is going to be complete. Also I am being calling since December 2018 to finalized my invoice because they have to issued a credit for items that were never install and so far no answer.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Have a new baby in the family and paid for a carpet installation to be done for his nursery. Floor has been stripped as well as all furniture. Was told it would probably be a week or so — that was 13 days ago. The baby was born on 4/27/19, Got a call today with another 2-day delay (voicemail) and now they are not returning my calls. NEXT time, no big box stores (Home Depot and Lowe’s). We will go to local carpet dealer.

Original review: April 29, 2019

We ordered a dryer from Home Depot to be delivered. The first date of delivery we were told a delivery time of 11:30 to 3:30. Got a call at 2:30 stating the delivery would be there at 4:30. 5:00 get a one ring. Hang up. 5:15 I call and am told delivery truck called and left a message and home owner was not at home. That was the first lie. Next delivery date a week out. On that date had a delivery time of 11:00 to 3:00. Checked the app at 12 noon and said it was rescheduled to the next week. No call, no nothing. Called to find out what happened and was told the dryer had just gotten there. Really it was on your delivery truck last week. Second bold faced lie. Cancelled order and will never shop there again.

Home Depot Company Information