2. Homeowners
  3. Lighting Stores

4.4/5 (117 ratings)

About Lamps Plus

Lamps Plus has both stores and an online site offering a huge selection of indoor and outdoor lighting fixtures, furniture, and home decor. Lamps Plus was founded in 1976 and has been named a Top 10 Housewares/Home Furnishings retailer by Internet Retailer Magazine and Digital Commerce 360.

Pros

• Free shipping on most items
  • Fast chat and phone support
  • High-quality products
  • Big discounts

Cons

• Complicated returns
  • Shipping fee on Open Box items

Bottom Line

Lamps Plus is a lighting, furniture and home decor retailer with mostly mid-range pricing and a wide selection of quality products. Its “Open Box” items sell for up to 70% off but don’t come with free shipping.

Top Lamps Plus Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We recently ordered new lighting for our whole house, about 30 light fixtures in all, from Lamps Plus. We are so happy with the quality, they make our house look great. ... Great ...

Verified

I found Lamps Plus via Facebook and bought a beautiful fountain on their website. They have great selection with free shipping. I love their video on the fountains so I can get a ...

What is Lamps Plus?

Based in the Southwestern U.S., Lamps Plus is a large lighting retailer that sells lamps, furniture and home decor at mid-range prices. In addition to lamps, light fixtures and ceiling fans, Lamps Plus sells furniture like sofas, desks and cabinets, as well as a variety of home decor items, including mirrors, fountains and bedding.

Lamps Plus has its own line of products but carries dozens of other nationally recognized brands too. It also offers a line of products, called Open Box items, that have either been returned or displayed in stores — it sells these with discounts up to 70%.

Trade professionals are eligible for Lamps Plus Pro, a program that offers special industry pricing. New homeowners may sign up for a one-time-use coupon of $15.

How does Lamps Plus work?

Customers can purchase Lamps Plus products through the LampsPlus.com website or in brick-and-mortar stores throughout the Southwestern U.S. and parts of the Pacific Northwest. Lamps Plus inventory is also available through other large online retailers like Amazon, Walmart and Wayfair.

Most products, excluding Open Box items, are eligible for two-day free shipping. You can speak with a live agent by phone seven days a week from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. PT. Live chat is available Monday through Friday from 4 a.m. to 8 p.m. PT and on weekends from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. PT.

In addition to a wide range of products, Lamps Plus offers a handful of special services. For example, its online lighting design services lets shoppers call for free advice from a certified lighting and design expert.

Customers in California, Arizona and Nevada can call for a free quote and have purchased items installed in their home by a licensed, bonded and insured electrical contractor.

Lamps Plus cost

Lamps Plus inventory offers mostly mid-range pricing, although it has a handful of low-range and high-end products.

For example, the price of a full-size sofa ranges from $625 to $4,750. The majority of these selections are in the $1,000 to $2,000 range, which is considered an average price for a sofa.

A few Lamps Plus product price ranges:

• Chandeliers range from $23 to $18,500
  • Floor lamps range from $24 to $4,000
  • Wall mirrors range from $60 to $2,500

Most Lamps Plus products are eligible for free two-day shipping. Orders $49 or less charge a $5 shipping fee. Items that appear in the “Open Box” tab require specialized shipping costs based on destination, size and handling required. Some Open Box products require special delivery because they arrive pre-assembled.

Lamps Plus FAQ

Where are Lamps Plus stores located?
Most of the stores are located in the Southwest — specifically Arizona, California, Colorado, Nevada and Texas. There are a handful of stores in Washington and Oregon. Customers can also order online in the U.S. or Canada. International shoppers outside of Canada must spend $200 or more and pay by wire transfer.
What is Lamps Plus’s return policy?
Lamps Plus requires all customers to speak with a customer service specialist by telephone in order to get a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA). Items cannot be returned without an RMA — even in the store. All returns must be made within 60 days of purchase, and all merchandise must be in the original packaging. The return policy excludes white-glove and blanket-wrap delivery items, which arrive pre-assembled, unboxed or made-to-order.
How are shipping costs calculated?
Most items at Lamps Plus are eligible for free two-day shipping. Items under $49 require $5 for shipping. Any additional shipping costs are calculated by size, weight, destination and, most importantly, the type of delivery required. Oversize items, pre-assembled furniture and custom order prices are calculated differently. Due to the special handling required, shipping on Howard Miller furniture and grandfather clocks is priced separately.
What is Lamps Plus’s warranty policy?
In addition to any existing manufacturer’s warranty, Lamps Plus offers an additional one-year extended warranty that covers repairs or replacements of the item. As with most warranties, the Lamps Plus One-Year Warranty doesn’t cover incidental damage; rather, it covers flaws in the materials or poor craftsmanship. In order to be eligible, customers must save their receipt.
What kind of payments does Lamps Plus accept?
American Express, Visa, MasterCard and Discover are all accepted on LampsPlus.com, as well as PayPal. Customers who wish to pay with a personal check or money order must call customer service to arrange payment. Purchase orders are accepted but must be faxed.

Is Lamps Plus legit?

In general, Lamps Plus is reliable and has good customer service with quick responses via phone and chat. Items found under the Open Box section offer deep discounts — sometimes as high as 70%. However, shipping on these unboxed items can often be high, particularly for rural customers. Because of the shipping prices, buyers might want to do a quick comparison before selecting Open Box products.

The company also requires all customers to receive a Return Merchandise Authorization from a live agent in order to return an item. Nonetheless, Lamps Plus retails a wide variety of products in various styles and with a range of prices, and the company sells high-quality products at reasonable prices.

Lamps Plus Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lamps Plus?

Original review: July 24, 2021

The correct rate for my address is 6.25%. You are consistently charging me 8.25%. This is the state rate of 6.25 plus a city rate of 2%. I do not live in a city or other sales tax area so I do not owe that extra 2%.

Lamps Plus response

Hi Paula - we are very sorry to hear about your experience and thank you for your feedback. Sale taxes are charged based on the bigger county zip code. It may be that you are in part of a county that charges a different tax rate amount other than what is associated with your overall county. Our team is in the process of investigating the details and are working on resolving this matter with your respective order. Thank you for the comments.

Get buying tips about Lighting Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 23, 2021

The lamp came and it was unassembled, but it was easy to assemble, and it's a nice lamp. It's the style I want. I would have liked if it was a bit sturdier. The lamp it replaced was a-30 year old heavy lamp that we didn't have to worry about anybody knocking it over. This one is a bit more on the flimsy side, but it looks nice. So, it serves the purpose, as long as no one touches it. Go on the website and see if you can find what your interest is. There were a lot of filters on the Lamps Plus website, so that I could filter to get the qualities of the kind of lamp I was looking for. There was quite a wide variety there, all kinds of styles. Go for it.

Lamps Plus response

Hi Beverly - we appreciate your feedback. We do have a lot of choices in table lamps, and all your advice on how to filter to find designs is perfect. Glad you found a design you liked and we hope you enjoy it!

Original review: July 7, 2021

I had to return an item recently and got charged an $8.00 return fee. Very disappointing. The amount is nominal, and couldn't possibly make a difference to Lamp Plus's bottom line. But the practice is very off-putting to customers. Other stores simply don't do that. Is it worth $8 to piss off your regular customers?

Lamps Plus response

We are very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your experience with us. We see that the item you purchased did not qualify for free returns, so we honored a discounted shipping label for $8. You can check to see if an item qualifies for free shipping and/or free returns by checking under the item price on the product page. Should you have any questions or need anything else, please do not hesitate to contact us. We apologize again for any inconvenience this situation may have caused.

Original review: May 8, 2021

The selection was really good. It seemed like they had some good things that fit my style. So, it’s nice. My experience was pretty good. Except that the shipping took a little bit of time. Because now, everyone's used to Amazon's one- or two-days’ shipping. But it's not that it took longer than what Lamps Plus told me. It came when they told me it was gonna come. It was just longer than Amazon. I like the lamp that I got from Lamps Plus. It's great. But I sent some others back because they didn't fit the space well. It's hard when you're shopping for it online to know what it's gonna look like. They could have 3D images of the lamps and that would be helpful to be able to envision them in the space a bit more.

Lamps Plus response

Thank you for the review and the comments. We are working on the 3D views of our designs, so that's something that should be appearing on some designs later this year. Thanks again and enjoy your new lighting.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

I ordered a table lamp from Lamps Plus and it arrived about 10 days later... However, when I opened the box, the lamp base had a large crack in it, probably from shipping. I called Lamps Plus the next day and spoke with Tammy (bm). I dreaded the idea of having to repack the lamp and ship it back, but Tammy requested I send her a picture of the crack (which I did) and they would send me a new lamp. Seven days later, I received my new lamp. Having worked as an insurance agent for over 30 years and dealing with hundreds of thousands of satisfied customers, I know the difference between terrible customer service and superb customer service. Tammy went over and above and in doing so, I would not hesitate to order from Lamps Plus again... and, by the way... I LOVE my lamp.

Lamps Plus response

Thank you for the kind words and feedback about our customer service, we appreciate it. We hope you enjoy your new lamp!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

More and more people are using their smart phones to access the internet. Going to retrieve a code is not realistic as you cannot return to the original page! I have have not finished some orders for this very reason.

Lamps Plus response

Hi - not sure what code you are referencing. Are you referring to a coupon code? If you are clicking from an email we have sent you, you should have the option to add the code to your shopping cart before you start browsing. If you come from a third party site that we do not control this may not be the case. If you have a code and would like to apply it to an order just contact our customer service team and they can assist you. Thank you for the comments.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

I have been looking to replace my outdoor lamp for a while. And I am very thankful to have found this one. It is very close in keeping with my home style. And I am very pleased to have found it at such a wonderful sale price! Thank you Lamps Plus!!!

Lamps Plus response

That's great to hear, thanks so much for leaving your review and letting us know your feedback.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

The purchased of this lamp was extremely convenient because the website suggested the extra preferred bulb and dimmer switch that we also wanted. We look forward to receiving the lamp within one week, and we really appreciate the free shipping offered with the purchase.

Lamps Plus response

We appreciate getting your feedback. Thank you for the comments and rating, and we hope that you will enjoy your new lamp.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Have been looking for a new motion detector for backyard. Couldn't find anything I liked. Decided to give Lamps Plus a try and went from not finding anything to trying to figure out which one I liked best. Would definitely recommend you.

Lamps Plus response

Thank you for the comments! We do have a large selection of outdoor motion detector lights. Glad to hear that you found one that you loved. Thanks again and enjoy your new lighting.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

Thought I had placed the order online and David called about 30 minutes after and said he noticed I had been looking at the ceiling fan, I told him I had placed the order and actually I had not. Thank you David. Order should be on the way.

Lamps Plus response

Hi - thanks for your comments and glad we were able to get your order processed and on its way to you.

Lamps Plus Company Information