2.32/5
Based on 34 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

34 Lamps Plus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I ordered a table lamp and paid for it via Paypal. I realized immediately that Paypal had an old address and the lamp was being shipped to the wrong address... So I called customer service within 5 min of ordering to change address. They were closed and told me to leave message which I did. In morning I called customer service since I hadn't heard from them... It was within an hour of them opening. The lamp HAD NOT BEEN shipped. They tell me they have no control...and the lamp is being shipped to old address. AGAIN it had not shipped...when I called or wrote. I feel this is very poor business practice. THIS IS WHY AMAZON IS TAKING OVER SMALL BUSINESS.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Bought a vanity light for $190. The return shipping cost $47! Not worth taking a risk at buying something online through them if the cost of return is that high. In addition to the cost of return, the return process of getting a “return authorization” and printing and filling out the form was very time consuming and old fashioned. After you fill out the forms it’s up to you to choose a shipping company, taking your package there and making arrangements for return. What a hassle. For the record, we chose the cheapest shipping at FedEx.

Get expert buying tips about Lighting Stores delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I ordered a ceiling fan and after it arrived contacted them via “chat” to see if I could purchase a remote for the fan. The agent said there was a remote available and then asked me if I would also like to purchase the wall control. I didn’t even know that was an option. My husband was with me and I asked his opinion and he said, “why not”. I asked the agent how much for both and after getting the price I agreed to purchase both. She placed the order directly and then called me for my credit card number.

When the package arrived, it only contained the remote, not the wall control. I contacted them again through “chat” and they denied I ordered the wall control. I asked them to look up the previous “chat” and send it to me because I knew the agent asked me if I wanted to purchase the wall control. They EDITED the chat (you could see the font change) so that her question to me about the wall control was deleted. As I said earlier, I didn’t even know a wall control existed and my husband was with me when the agent asked me if I wanted the wall control. VERY DISHONEST SELLER! I would NOT purchase from these people ever again. Too bad I can’t give ZERO STARS!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I tried to return these very sun damaged outdoor lights and I was told I cannot as it’s past 60 days. It took slightly over 60 days for the sun to damage them. I was offered a small discount on more expensive lights but would have to pay the shipping. I’ve already paid shipping once and paid someone to install them. Now I will have to pay someone to uninstall and reinstall. I will never buy anything from this company again. Please let your friends and family know this company has inferior products and useless customer service. Thievery comes to mind.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I purchased two white replacement shades that were trimmed in a white grosgrain ribbon at the top and bottom. Item #R0144. I have trade account with them so these were to be resold in my interior design shop. They had been on display with the protective plastic on them for about 4 months when I noticed that the ribbon trim had completely turned yellow and was coming off the shades entirely. Customer support was not at all interested in replacing these defective shades and said I was just stuck with them at my expense. I am sure that if the shades I bought had yellowed then the more of that original stock would have also shown this problem. They were not interested in even looking into the problem for me. In a world where we have so many choices I would not chose Lamps Plus again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lamps Plus?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

They charged us $28.00 to get the lamps we ordered here. They were not suitable for us and when we went to return us the UPS clerk said that it would cost us $112.00 for each lamp to return it!!! We paid less than $100.00 for each lamp. They have to remedy this! They lost a good customer in me and I will tell everyone I know in person and online not to fall for the low price - they stick you with the merchandise by making it impossible to return. STICK WITH AMAZON!!! They know how to grow business and customer loyalty. I can't tell you enough. Do not fall for this scam!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I ordered lamps back in September 2018. I told customer service that one of my lamps was just discolored upon arrival. I was told by a representative to return the item. I wasn't able to get a refund until I send the item back. I didn't want to wait 14 days to get a refund so I purchase a new set of lamps. When the new lamps arrive I noticed they were the same exact lamps I sent to them just restained. I am still waiting on the outcome for new lamps... BUYER BEWARE!!!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Musical pricing. 3 venues, exact same fan, Lamps Plus the seller on all three venues (including their own site), 3 different prices. Two days later, different pricing again. Really? Get ready to jump through hoops to get the best deal. Be ready for the "we match competitor's prices, not our own" speech when you attempt to match THEIR OWN price. Not Impressed.

Original review: July 25, 2018

After attempting to order a ceiling fan, I found out I had to pay extra for the remote but I couldn't order it online and had to order it on the phone. Paying $86 for the remote control was terrible enough and then the fan arrived without the remote, which now I find out won't arrive for three weeks! I would never have bought the ceiling fan if I knew that because I either have to wait till the end of the summer to pay an electrician to put the damned thing up or I will have to pay an electrician twice to come back and sync the remote to the fan which will be high up on the ceiling. What a terrible store. Don't order from them. Ever.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Strongly advise not to buy from this company. Bought 2 lamps, one had a damaged lampshade. They shipped another, but that one was damaged by UPS in transit. They wanted to ship another one, but after much discussion, they offered a 25.00 credit. I countered with 50.00, but that was nothing compared to the time/days I wasted with this company and now having to buy not one but 2 lampshades to match both lamps. With each shipment, you must stay home all day waiting for shipment. You can't buy any lampshade for under 75.00 from this company, yet they offered 25.00, but I countered with 50.00 and they accepted. I was not going to spend another day waiting for another shipment, so I took the offer.

The company has 2 websites. One for US and one for Canada. The pricing in US is approx. 100% less, but they will not allow you to purchase on the US website. They tell you they CAN'T ship to Canada, but you can use our Canada website. When you order from the Canadian web site, you'll find the product is shipped from their US site! Accordingly, the Canadian Web site is just a way to take advantage of high Canadian pricing. Amazon and eBay allows Canada to purchase from their US sites so this company has found a loop hole to get higher pricing and avoid the dollar exchange (If I would have been able to order though the US site, it would have cost 33% less (including $ exchange)). With all the problems associated with my order, they insulted me with an offered of 25.00 credit.

As for the quality of the lamps, there are many. The wire on the lampshades that connect the shade to the lamp are not welded, but taped and 2 of the 4 wires were not connected to the shade. There was a ribbon like trim around the shade that resembled a roller coaster with the ribbon going up and down all the way around. The shade at the top and bottom rims were dirty. The lamp base rocked on the table. It didn't sit flat. The decorative design inside the glass was crooked and uneven and yet they promote this lamp as high quality. I've read several other complaints about this problem. These lamps are 99.00 in the US site and on sale for 169.00 (regular 229.00) or 190.00 with tax in the Canada site. That's over 100% increase from the regular price. THE VERY NEXT DAY that I resolved this issue, the lamps were taken off the site. Things that make you go hum...

Lamps Plus tells me they have no control over shipping once it crosses into Canada. I wanted them to ship the lampshade to the UPS store, so I wouldn't need to stay home all day, but the UPS store wanted $5.00 to ship it to their store for me to pick up. I asked Lamps Plus to pay the 5.00, but they said it would be too much trouble so they rather give me a 50.00 credit and leave me without a lampshade. I now understand that lampshades are far more than 50.00 and I'll need 2 to match the other lamp. Now you know why I'm strongly advising not to buy from LampsPlus.ca.

Original review: May 11, 2018

We ordered a 400$ chandelier and it arrived damaged and could not be used due to being made incorrectly. WE had a 150 dollar electrician bill as well. My Husband and myself emailed and called them numerous times to work out a solution. After three weeks of dealing with their awful customer service, their only offer was 100 off the broken piece of simply return it. We have to hire an electrician AGAIN to safely take it down to return it but they refuse to compensate. Do NOT shop with this company because you will absolutely regret it.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Think twice before buying from these people. Their return policy is misleading. With the two big box stores they will allow returns no matter the reason. The wife bought a lamp from Lamps Plus and it came in a plain box without a picture so I didn't know what it was supposed to look like. The instructions pitiful without clear illustrations, and no parts list. So once I assembled and installed the lamp the wife says it doesn't look right and is supposed to hang lower. We go over the instructions and look through the box and do not see any more parts. Finally after pulling the last styrofoam out of the box we find a couple of rods taped to the bottom.

At this point wires are cut to length and we cannot put these rods on to extend the lamp. We call the Lamps Plus phone number and explain the problem with the packing and poor instructions and they are telling us that sorry we're out of luck and it's going to cost us $50.00 dollars to return or exchange this product. With the poor directions and hidden parts this was a loser from the start and we will never buy from this company again and will stick with stores that stand behind their products and really to mean it when they say customer satisfaction.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Do not order from this company!! Their products descriptions are incomplete & misleading. They give you the impression your return shipping will be taken care of however it is not. They do not stand behind their products and website! DO NOT ORDER THROUGH THEM.

Original review: March 12, 2018

We ordered two lamps in January. Called in February to cancel the order and "mysteriously" the order was shipped out that very day. We received the lamps and immediately returned them. We called to verify that they had received the lamps. They gave us a refund for one of the lamps, but not the other. I called the past 3 weeks and every time spoke to very nice people who said I would have my refund in 24 hours (names were Kimberly, Arthur and Mario). Today we said we would let our credit card company dispute the charge and his response was "DO WHAT YOU GOTTA DO". Really?

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I ordered a lamp on January 8th. Their website stated it would ship in 2-4 weeks. I received an email after I ordered the item changing the shipping date to February 21st. On February 21st I received an email changing the shipping date to April 30th. I have made complaints to the company via customer service and online reviews but the shipping date on the website was changed to a lesser amount. Today it says it ships in 1-2 weeks. I have still not received my lamp. I believe they are making false promises and they have removed the review I wrote. If a company allows customers to write reviews I don't believe it is ethical to remove an unfavorable review.

Resolution response: Jan. 30, 2018

Company followed up with this review, and the issue has been resolved. Thank you Catherine.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Product arrived damaged, it was a heavy high end floor lamp with a glass shelf. The glass shelf wasn't even in bubble wrap, the box the item came in was so inadequate for such a heavy piece that it caved and split during shipping. The glass shelf was shattered and the globe was chipped. Lamps Plus told me they could not send me a new shelf that I had to return the item.

When I complained about the packaging being damaged they offered me $25 credit to buy a box. I have no idea where to get a box that big so I took the item to UPS. UPS did not have a box that big. I left it there for packaging on the next business day. UPS just called me and said it will be $180.00 to pack the item. Today, I have left 2 messages with Larry at Lamps Plus, who gave me the $25 credit, and He has not yet gotten back to me. This item is heavy, just getting it to my car was an effort. I have been inconvenienced and I am out of pocket. Pathetic packaging. I am stuck with this lamp and no way to package it and send it back.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I called to order a ceiling lamp. The people there can nearly stay awake and have no product information and will tell you everything is perfect. Never a problem with anything. So I tried to order something and they doubled billed me; AMEX immediately showed that the card was billed twice. I kept repeating exactly what the two responses from Amex said. They said something was wrong with my card. Then they said in order to correct the problem I would hear from the fraud dept in four days.

Then they wanted even more credit card information, they charged me but claimed not to be able to find the order. What a bunch of crooks!! Stay away from this co. Now I have to deal with AMEX, to get these crooks off my back. They will blame anyone else, and tell you all about how their system works, I don't need their inner machinations. I just needed to cancel the order which they would not do. I can't give an order number because they said they didn't have one.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Our delivery was not received by us, meaning after being left on the front porch was either stolen or it was delivered to a wrong address? Nobody received the item from our household, period. You would think Lamps Plus would try to send us another one or refund! They offered no solution, other than, "Go to your bank and dispute it." As if the money was taken from account wrongfully. Obviously our bank will not agree to it. And we are left with no Lamp, $300 gone and a frustration that have to live with. My question is, if a company is washing their hands once an order is dropped at customer's doorsteps, shouldn't they also have a stronger policy to obtain a receive signature? I would be glad if the delivery person left a note that this will be left at such and such address for pick up or a later delivery. Horrified. Customer comes last.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

Purchased a lamp thru Amazon steered to Lamps Plus, online purchased July 27. Called August 13, no lamp, said delivered August 1st, advised that is a lie. Rep said would expedite, advised must have by August 18. August 16 no lamp, August 17 no lamp, called August 18 advised next week. These guys are the scum of online purchases. My next contact is Amazon to see if I can get them removed, BBB shows them with 86% negative rating. They deserve every complaint.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

The lamp that I spent 299.99 plus shipping for was shipped in a huge box and encased in styrofoam packing that disintegrated during the process of unpacking, creating an incredibly large mess of tiny static-charged pieces of styrofoam throughout two rooms of my house that will take me days to clean. In addition, the lamp itself looks okay, but is substandard in quality and not at all worth the price that I was charged. No more business from me for Lamps Plus!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I fell in-love with chandelier at Lamps Plus. Before buying the chandelier, I checked other websites to see if I could find a lower price. Sure enough, I found a lower price. I immediately contacted Lamps Plus via email to request their 120% price match guarantee. After 3 days of waiting, however, no one replied to my inquiry. Because so much time had passed, I was worried the promotional price for this item at the other store would expire. So, I finally called into the Lamps Plus customer service number. I spoke with a representative and explained what had happened. The representative double-checks the website where I found the lower price. She agreed it was the same item and even said, “We price match from this website all the time.” Before she could honor the promotional price, she said she needed her manager to approve the price match, but her manager wouldn't be available until “tomorrow”.

I told her I was worried about the promotional price not being available “tomorrow”. She replied, ‘As long as the item was the exact same, then Lamps Plus should be able to price match the chandelier.’ The next day, I checked the website where I found the chandelier for a lower price. Sure enough, the promotional price had expired and the item was now significantly more. Shortly after, the Lamps Plus representative called me back. She said her manager would not approve the price match. She explained the item could not be price matched because ‘the price would be too low and Lamps Plus just couldn't do it’, and ‘Lamps Plus has an agreement with this website to not match their prices’.

If an agreement was in place, then why wasn’t I told yesterday when I called? Why was I told, “we price match this website all the time”? And, why did no one ever respond to my email inquiry? THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE. Because I was waiting on Lamps Plus to respond to BOTH of my price match inquiries, I can't even buy the light on the website where I found it! So much for that “Price Match GUARANTEE”.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I placed an order for lamp and accessories on May 29, 2017 and paid in full. Was told it'd take 4 weeks. After several delays, I'm now told that my order won't come until September 15!!! It is RIDICULOUS. I've sent email to cancel this order and expect a full refund.

Original review: July 2, 2017

I bought a table lamp from Lamps Plus over a month ago. I had to return it as the bulb showed out of the top. I repackaged it and followed their instructions. I called them and paid an additional $10 for a pickup. 2 weeks later it was FINALLY picked up and they sent me a confirmation that it was picked up. Forward 2 more weeks STILL NO CREDIT. DO NOT BUY FROM LAMPS PLUS IF THERE IS ANY POSSIBILITY OF A RETURN.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

Cords and plugs and lights all the light bulbs I need. I like shopping there because it is bright. I like light bulbs. It makes me happy to buy there. I will go back. Their light bulbs are good. They don't break and seem to last a lot longer than ones from other stores. Anyway I like their goodness. Good products there. I like the store. It's big and easy to shop in. They have many bulbs. Mississippi is the best store anyway. Customer service wasn't the best. I had to find my own things to buy. No one there to help me. I was alone. They need more workers. Other than that it's a good store.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

Customer service is wonderful. I had some difficult lighting needs and they were able to help me work things out. I love their home decor section. We have only had our lighting installed within the last thirty days, so it's hard to judge what it will be long term, but have every confidence in the structure of their products. Their prices are generally what you would expect to pay at any home improvement store (Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, etc) but I believe they carry a broader range of products at several price points. They have a GREAT team. From the secretary to the installers, all were very polite and professional. It's very apparent that they love their jobs and are there to help and direct, whatever your lighting needs.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2016

They have a huge selection of every type of lamp you could be looking for, whether its small or large. From table lamps to floor or ceiling lamps they have a wide selection to choose from. The 2 table lamps that I purchased have been wonderful and I have not experienced any problems. I purchased about 4 years ago. They have maintained the color of the base with no scratches. They are a little bit more pricey but the quality outstands other places where I have purchased lamps before. The sales associates at Lamps Plus are extremely helpful and knowledgeable in their products. They also leave you alone to browse if that is what you desire.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2016

I was looking for ceiling fans, they had an excellent selection on display and even more that they went over with me in their catalogs. There was also a large selection of models and finishes of outdoor lights, and indoor ceiling, wall, and bathroom lights to select from which were on display, and they also had a large selection available by catalog. I was impressed that they had more of a variety than other local stores. I purchased a ceiling fan which I use daily constantly for several months at a time in Arizona and it is extremely well made, quiet and energy efficient. It is also extremely attractive.

It is an excellent value both energy wise and for aesthetic purposes. It does an excellent job of keeping the room cool, has a remote with several options on it, and is extremely attractive. The sales rep took their time helping me, showing me the sizes and colors that the models in the catalog would compare to, went over the features and appropriateness for the different room sizes we were purchasing for, and comparison to the other models. They did not try to upsell me.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

The selection is wide and varied. There are table lamps, floor lamps in many styles, sizes, colors and materials. There are wall sconces, over the counter lights, bathroom lighting, chandeliers, hanging lights and built in lighting. Any type of lighting fixture with a wide selection of prices can be found. The lamps and hanging fixtures I purchased are very durable and sturdy. I have had the hanging lights for 10 years and they still look new. The lights look very high end and expensive, with detailing you would find in a much more expensive product. I was very happy with the quality. I was pleased with the quick service and the help I received with my order. Friendly and helpful employees who gave me their full attention. They listened to what I was looking for and made suggestions without being pushy.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2016

The variety they have in this store is great! They have everything for your lighting needs and they offer them at very good prices for everyone's budget. The products I have bought are of very good quality. I know that I will be able to use them for years. I believe the value is worth what you will pay for most of the products they carry. Customer service at my location was good. The only bad thing was that there was only one cashier and so there were a few people to ring up. I think they could've done better to have enough staff.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

I bought a beautiful Martha Stewart lamp there and a stand alone tree type lamp with three branches. Looks beautiful in my living room. I also bought a sofa table there with pineapples on the legs. Also bought night light turtles for me and my mother in law, and also bought a decorative light that has wrought iron stems and light up roses. It's beautiful. It is a place I always enjoy shopping. As I said I have bought several products and their durability has been all you could ask for. No problems even though some have been shipped across country, everything has always worked just like it should.

Their prices are very reasonability and the quality is very good also, and beautiful design, and style for everyone. I would good back for their products over and over if I needed more but everything last and is durable and beautiful. Wonderful customer service. We bought while we were on vacation and they shipped our products home for us waiting to shop so we would be home before they arrived.

Lamps Plus expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1976, Lamps Plus is a Los Angeles-based privately owned company that aims to give consumers excellent customer service and a large selection at low prices. Lamps Plus’ online and showroom locations contain over 70,000 designs.

• Store workshops: Free in-store events teach consumers how to install lighting and give attendees ideas for lighting décor.

• Lamps Plus Open Box: Lamps Plus allows consumers to buy open-box items at discounted prices. These items are like-new products that are inspected and undamaged, and they all come with a one-year warranty. Selection changes daily.

• Social media presence: Lamp Plus’ Pinterest and Instagram accounts are updated regularly with design photos to give consumers decorating ideas.

• Installation service: Lamps Plus has a staff of electricians and contractors who are insured, bonded and licensed. Quotes are free, and their work comes with a two-year guarantee.

• Coupons and savings: The Lamps Plus website offers several coupons for the products they sell. They also give discounts to new homeowners.

• Best for: Lamps Plus is best for consumers who want bargains on a large selection of styles of light fixtures.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs