2.02/5

48 Lamps Plus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 18, 2019

I order 2 chandeliers on 2 different occasions. The first chandelier cost us $150.00 to return. The 2nd chandelier would have cost us $300.00 to return but thankfully we found someone to buy it instead. This is such poor customer service, a discredit to Lamps Plus. I will never ever do business with this company again!

Original review: May 16, 2019

I purchased this fountain via Amazon Prime - vendor Lamps Plus. After a week of use I was having problems with the pump clogging. I discovered that the basin was flaking off its finish allowing small flakes to clog the pump. In order to keep it running, I had to drain and refill the fountain every day or two! The company, Lamps Plus, advised me to purchase a sealing product, or paint, to coat the basin. They did not offer a return or refund including shipping. They did not seem to care. $250.00 plus shipping and it is up to me to fix it. Do not do business with Lamps Plus.

Get expert buying tips about Lighting Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 4, 2019

Beware! Purchased and paid for lamp I did not receive, just because FedEx said they delivered it! Was told after 3 months of calls to dispute with my bank or contact my local police department! So you're on your own!

Original review: May 1, 2019

I ordered two wall lamps at a local Lamps Plus store. After five weeks the lamps arrived at my home, but one had been manufactured incorrectly; making it impossible to hang without tearing sheet metal inside the fixture. Proper hanging hardware was also missing. After sending photos and emails, and numerous phone calls, the company failed to even understand what hardware was needed. I eventually gave up on trying to teach them their trade; concluding a better course would entail a refund a shopping elsewhere. But just getting someone to provide confirmation that I'd brought back the lamps took almost a week.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I purchased a 3 tier outdoor fountain about 4 months ago and now the finish is peeling and bubbling. When I contacted customer service the rep Sam said I needed to seal the fountain prior to filling it since I live in Florida with the "salty air". I live in central Florida nowhere near the ocean!! I am now asked to return the defective unit and wait for a new one. When I get the new one I am to seal it. Why would I go through all of this to get another possible defective finish that I have to seal. They know this fountain is outdoors, in the elements, when they sold it. This product is shoddy and should be assembled with a sturdy, outdoor finish. This company is terrible and should be put on notice for selling shoddy products. $400 dollars is a lot to spend in something that needs refinishing months later. I hope my new car finish holds up in the Florida weather and I don't need to repaint it myself!!! What a joke!!! Buyer beware!!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lamps Plus?

Original review: April 10, 2019

Last year I bought a ceiling fan paid 459.00. Well the fan just stopped running. Call Lamps Plus to find out how much it would cost to buy a new motor. I was not asking for anything free. They kept giving to department to department. I was on the phone for 3 1/2 hours. They they gave me a different number. By then my head was pounding from all that. Called the next day. Another 45 minutes that only to told to call the original place I had called first. So I had to call an electric person only to find out that it could be reset from the remote. Instead of telling me to try that they wasted my time and money. There are plenty of stores like them and don't need that kind of poorly informed sales reps. I will never ever shop there again. It's unfortunate that they have such poor poor customer service.

Original review: April 4, 2019

My wife and myself saw some barstools online that we really liked. When we walked into the Denver store they told us that they only had the top of the stool and not the legs in the store. Very weird huh? That should have been our first red flag. Nevertheless we did like what we saw online and at the price we decided to buy. Since there were none in stock they said they would ship to us from California. When I went online to track the order I enabled mobile text updates so I knew when they would arrive. I never received one update the entire shipment.

The stools arrived today and one was very damaged with dents and scratches and the other with an entirely broken leg. I called the store to see how to replace them and they told me they would order new ones to the store and I could come in and swap the damaged out with the new. I wasn't happy about it but complied. The same associate then called me back 5 mins later and told me actually the policy would be for me to spend the $220 upfront to buy the replacement stools and then when I went in to swap them out they would refund me. Are you kidding me?

Horrible customer experience and I should know. I'm a CX consultant for some of the world's largest brands. It's reasons like this why Jeff Bezos is the richest man in the world. You need to serve the customers needs first instead of the business. The writings on the wall here Lamps Plus start packing your bags you'll be belly up soon with practices like this.

Original review: April 1, 2019

We purchased more than $2000 worth of fixtures and we wanted to return those items. Company will only take small items for return shipping cost and big items they will ask you to send yourself and pay the shipping cost which could be huge. So this is big rip off for online shopper who are willing to take a chance to purchase thousands of dollars of merchandise with a understanding that they can return... Don't buy anything from these scammers with fine prints for their scam.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Lamp and lights products are all overpriced. Some items l returned l had to pay over $60.00 to return. l will not be buying anything else from them. Consumer Service agent was very rude when l was trying to make a return. l have bought at least 6 ceiling fans from this company.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Wanted to return item bought online (didn't look as pictured) to get a return authorization number and then the circus began. called customer service number on the middle of a Monday, message said they were closed and call back during normal hours. As per other reviews this seems common, it is frequently out of service. Called the Canadian number just for fun and it gave the same message for all of North America. Tried the online chat function, took 5 min to respond to my first question, another 20 to get return number, with 5 min gaps between their responses. You have to hunt them down if you want to return anything and you have to pay return shipping, so don't buy if there is any chance you want to return. Positive reviews seem to be for store purchases.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I purchased a fan thru Lamps Plus using PayPal. I watched my shipping info for a week but it never shipped. Then I get an email saying they received my cancellation of the item. I contacted customer service and was told it was discontinued and they didn't have one to ship me but would help me pick another fan. I watched that fan for 3 months before I bought it and it said it was the last one. But judging by the reviews it seems they don't like when you use PayPal for your order since that is where most of the complaints come from. Very disappointed. They waited 9 days to tell me this, had they shipped it the day I ordered it perhaps I might have got it and they would not have sold it to someone else.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I ordered open box lights. 3 of them. The site said, "error, contact customer service, nothing was in your cart." Called CS, they were closed. Checked my email to verify if there was a confirmation. None. Checked again. None. Reordered. After the second order placed, confirmations for BOTH orders popped up. I immediately canceled one order. Received a message next day saying can't be canceled and I would have to pay for shipping. $60. I emailed, called and argued and finally they agreed to waive the shipping. Received shipping labels. Once they received the items, they deducted the $60.00 from my refund. I emailed. They said, nothing they can do, that I am responsible. Will NEVER do business with them again. Not done fighting it, but don't see much hope given the negative customer service reviews I've since read.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I ordered a chandelier. Very nice and it said ships today. I paid via PayPal and after two days the status was pending so I knew it didn't ship. I looked online and saw that Walmart could deliver. I cancelled the order but their site was down but it said, "Please leave information." and I left everything including the fact that I got it from Walmart. Called, texted and sent email. I get the chandelier from Walmart (exact one) and a couple days later Lamps Plus comes. I call immediately and was told, "Sorry. We will send you return instructions etc." Then the dance started with the next person who couldn't find my order, another one who wanted pictures etc. I had 5 different people and went to one person 4 times. I sent a picture of the installed chandelier.

They offered me a ship back for $62 that they would deduct. They are going to make me pay for their mistake. Particularly after they couldn't find the order and made me prove it and then send sku-picture of box--ship label etc. So my time clearly is not worth free shipping back. I have entire house to put fixtures in but they have lost my business. Too bad as my lifetime value as a customer was much higher than it would have been to free ship the chandelier back. The cost of each of the interaction with the staff exceeded the cost of shipping.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I had a lamp that didnt work so I contacted customer service via chat. They then forwarded the concern to technical service and I received a phone call within 1/2 hour. I ended up having to send it back so I emailed them. They responded immediately and sent me a return shipping label. I received full refund within one week of returning it. Amazing!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I ordered a table lamp and paid for it via Paypal. I realized immediately that Paypal had an old address and the lamp was being shipped to the wrong address... So I called customer service within 5 min of ordering to change address. They were closed and told me to leave message which I did. In morning I called customer service since I hadn't heard from them... It was within an hour of them opening. The lamp HAD NOT BEEN shipped. They tell me they have no control...and the lamp is being shipped to old address. AGAIN it had not shipped...when I called or wrote. I feel this is very poor business practice. THIS IS WHY AMAZON IS TAKING OVER SMALL BUSINESS.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Bought a vanity light for $190. The return shipping cost $47! Not worth taking a risk at buying something online through them if the cost of return is that high. In addition to the cost of return, the return process of getting a “return authorization” and printing and filling out the form was very time consuming and old fashioned. After you fill out the forms it’s up to you to choose a shipping company, taking your package there and making arrangements for return. What a hassle. For the record, we chose the cheapest shipping at FedEx.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I ordered a ceiling fan and after it arrived contacted them via “chat” to see if I could purchase a remote for the fan. The agent said there was a remote available and then asked me if I would also like to purchase the wall control. I didn’t even know that was an option. My husband was with me and I asked his opinion and he said, “why not”. I asked the agent how much for both and after getting the price I agreed to purchase both. She placed the order directly and then called me for my credit card number.

When the package arrived, it only contained the remote, not the wall control. I contacted them again through “chat” and they denied I ordered the wall control. I asked them to look up the previous “chat” and send it to me because I knew the agent asked me if I wanted to purchase the wall control. They EDITED the chat (you could see the font change) so that her question to me about the wall control was deleted. As I said earlier, I didn’t even know a wall control existed and my husband was with me when the agent asked me if I wanted the wall control. VERY DISHONEST SELLER! I would NOT purchase from these people ever again. Too bad I can’t give ZERO STARS!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I tried to return these very sun damaged outdoor lights and I was told I cannot as it’s past 60 days. It took slightly over 60 days for the sun to damage them. I was offered a small discount on more expensive lights but would have to pay the shipping. I’ve already paid shipping once and paid someone to install them. Now I will have to pay someone to uninstall and reinstall. I will never buy anything from this company again. Please let your friends and family know this company has inferior products and useless customer service. Thievery comes to mind.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I purchased two white replacement shades that were trimmed in a white grosgrain ribbon at the top and bottom. Item #R0144. I have trade account with them so these were to be resold in my interior design shop. They had been on display with the protective plastic on them for about 4 months when I noticed that the ribbon trim had completely turned yellow and was coming off the shades entirely. Customer support was not at all interested in replacing these defective shades and said I was just stuck with them at my expense. I am sure that if the shades I bought had yellowed then the more of that original stock would have also shown this problem. They were not interested in even looking into the problem for me. In a world where we have so many choices I would not chose Lamps Plus again.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

They charged us $28.00 to get the lamps we ordered here. They were not suitable for us and when we went to return us the UPS clerk said that it would cost us $112.00 for each lamp to return it!!! We paid less than $100.00 for each lamp. They have to remedy this! They lost a good customer in me and I will tell everyone I know in person and online not to fall for the low price - they stick you with the merchandise by making it impossible to return. STICK WITH AMAZON!!! They know how to grow business and customer loyalty. I can't tell you enough. Do not fall for this scam!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I ordered lamps back in September 2018. I told customer service that one of my lamps was just discolored upon arrival. I was told by a representative to return the item. I wasn't able to get a refund until I send the item back. I didn't want to wait 14 days to get a refund so I purchase a new set of lamps. When the new lamps arrive I noticed they were the same exact lamps I sent to them just restained. I am still waiting on the outcome for new lamps... BUYER BEWARE!!!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Musical pricing. 3 venues, exact same fan, Lamps Plus the seller on all three venues (including their own site), 3 different prices. Two days later, different pricing again. Really? Get ready to jump through hoops to get the best deal. Be ready for the "we match competitor's prices, not our own" speech when you attempt to match THEIR OWN price. Not Impressed.

Original review: July 25, 2018

After attempting to order a ceiling fan, I found out I had to pay extra for the remote but I couldn't order it online and had to order it on the phone. Paying $86 for the remote control was terrible enough and then the fan arrived without the remote, which now I find out won't arrive for three weeks! I would never have bought the ceiling fan if I knew that because I either have to wait till the end of the summer to pay an electrician to put the damned thing up or I will have to pay an electrician twice to come back and sync the remote to the fan which will be high up on the ceiling. What a terrible store. Don't order from them. Ever.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Strongly advise not to buy from this company. Bought 2 lamps, one had a damaged lampshade. They shipped another, but that one was damaged by UPS in transit. They wanted to ship another one, but after much discussion, they offered a 25.00 credit. I countered with 50.00, but that was nothing compared to the time/days I wasted with this company and now having to buy not one but 2 lampshades to match both lamps. With each shipment, you must stay home all day waiting for shipment. You can't buy any lampshade for under 75.00 from this company, yet they offered 25.00, but I countered with 50.00 and they accepted. I was not going to spend another day waiting for another shipment, so I took the offer.

The company has 2 websites. One for US and one for Canada. The pricing in US is approx. 100% less, but they will not allow you to purchase on the US website. They tell you they CAN'T ship to Canada, but you can use our Canada website. When you order from the Canadian web site, you'll find the product is shipped from their US site! Accordingly, the Canadian Web site is just a way to take advantage of high Canadian pricing. Amazon and eBay allows Canada to purchase from their US sites so this company has found a loop hole to get higher pricing and avoid the dollar exchange (If I would have been able to order though the US site, it would have cost 33% less (including $ exchange)). With all the problems associated with my order, they insulted me with an offered of 25.00 credit.

As for the quality of the lamps, there are many. The wire on the lampshades that connect the shade to the lamp are not welded, but taped and 2 of the 4 wires were not connected to the shade. There was a ribbon like trim around the shade that resembled a roller coaster with the ribbon going up and down all the way around. The shade at the top and bottom rims were dirty. The lamp base rocked on the table. It didn't sit flat. The decorative design inside the glass was crooked and uneven and yet they promote this lamp as high quality. I've read several other complaints about this problem. These lamps are 99.00 in the US site and on sale for 169.00 (regular 229.00) or 190.00 with tax in the Canada site. That's over 100% increase from the regular price. THE VERY NEXT DAY that I resolved this issue, the lamps were taken off the site. Things that make you go hum...

Lamps Plus tells me they have no control over shipping once it crosses into Canada. I wanted them to ship the lampshade to the UPS store, so I wouldn't need to stay home all day, but the UPS store wanted $5.00 to ship it to their store for me to pick up. I asked Lamps Plus to pay the 5.00, but they said it would be too much trouble so they rather give me a 50.00 credit and leave me without a lampshade. I now understand that lampshades are far more than 50.00 and I'll need 2 to match the other lamp. Now you know why I'm strongly advising not to buy from LampsPlus.ca.

Original review: May 11, 2018

We ordered a 400$ chandelier and it arrived damaged and could not be used due to being made incorrectly. WE had a 150 dollar electrician bill as well. My Husband and myself emailed and called them numerous times to work out a solution. After three weeks of dealing with their awful customer service, their only offer was 100 off the broken piece of simply return it. We have to hire an electrician AGAIN to safely take it down to return it but they refuse to compensate. Do NOT shop with this company because you will absolutely regret it.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Think twice before buying from these people. Their return policy is misleading. With the two big box stores they will allow returns no matter the reason. The wife bought a lamp from Lamps Plus and it came in a plain box without a picture so I didn't know what it was supposed to look like. The instructions pitiful without clear illustrations, and no parts list. So once I assembled and installed the lamp the wife says it doesn't look right and is supposed to hang lower. We go over the instructions and look through the box and do not see any more parts. Finally after pulling the last styrofoam out of the box we find a couple of rods taped to the bottom.

At this point wires are cut to length and we cannot put these rods on to extend the lamp. We call the Lamps Plus phone number and explain the problem with the packing and poor instructions and they are telling us that sorry we're out of luck and it's going to cost us $50.00 dollars to return or exchange this product. With the poor directions and hidden parts this was a loser from the start and we will never buy from this company again and will stick with stores that stand behind their products and really to mean it when they say customer satisfaction.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Do not order from this company!! Their products descriptions are incomplete & misleading. They give you the impression your return shipping will be taken care of however it is not. They do not stand behind their products and website! DO NOT ORDER THROUGH THEM.

Original review: March 12, 2018

We ordered two lamps in January. Called in February to cancel the order and "mysteriously" the order was shipped out that very day. We received the lamps and immediately returned them. We called to verify that they had received the lamps. They gave us a refund for one of the lamps, but not the other. I called the past 3 weeks and every time spoke to very nice people who said I would have my refund in 24 hours (names were Kimberly, Arthur and Mario). Today we said we would let our credit card company dispute the charge and his response was "DO WHAT YOU GOTTA DO". Really?

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I ordered a lamp on January 8th. Their website stated it would ship in 2-4 weeks. I received an email after I ordered the item changing the shipping date to February 21st. On February 21st I received an email changing the shipping date to April 30th. I have made complaints to the company via customer service and online reviews but the shipping date on the website was changed to a lesser amount. Today it says it ships in 1-2 weeks. I have still not received my lamp. I believe they are making false promises and they have removed the review I wrote. If a company allows customers to write reviews I don't believe it is ethical to remove an unfavorable review.

Resolution response: Jan. 30, 2018

Company followed up with this review, and the issue has been resolved. Thank you Catherine.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Product arrived damaged, it was a heavy high end floor lamp with a glass shelf. The glass shelf wasn't even in bubble wrap, the box the item came in was so inadequate for such a heavy piece that it caved and split during shipping. The glass shelf was shattered and the globe was chipped. Lamps Plus told me they could not send me a new shelf that I had to return the item.

When I complained about the packaging being damaged they offered me $25 credit to buy a box. I have no idea where to get a box that big so I took the item to UPS. UPS did not have a box that big. I left it there for packaging on the next business day. UPS just called me and said it will be $180.00 to pack the item. Today, I have left 2 messages with Larry at Lamps Plus, who gave me the $25 credit, and He has not yet gotten back to me. This item is heavy, just getting it to my car was an effort. I have been inconvenienced and I am out of pocket. Pathetic packaging. I am stuck with this lamp and no way to package it and send it back.

Lamps Plus expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1976, Lamps Plus is a Los Angeles-based privately owned company that aims to give consumers excellent customer service and a large selection at low prices. Lamps Plus’ online and showroom locations contain over 70,000 designs.

• Store workshops: Free in-store events teach consumers how to install lighting and give attendees ideas for lighting décor.

• Lamps Plus Open Box: Lamps Plus allows consumers to buy open-box items at discounted prices. These items are like-new products that are inspected and undamaged, and they all come with a one-year warranty. Selection changes daily.

• Social media presence: Lamp Plus’ Pinterest and Instagram accounts are updated regularly with design photos to give consumers decorating ideas.

• Installation service: Lamps Plus has a staff of electricians and contractors who are insured, bonded and licensed. Quotes are free, and their work comes with a two-year guarantee.

• Coupons and savings: The Lamps Plus website offers several coupons for the products they sell. They also give discounts to new homeowners.

• Best for: Lamps Plus is best for consumers who want bargains on a large selection of styles of light fixtures.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs