Find a Home Improvement Contractors partner

Help me decide

2.0/5 (17 ratings)
Find a Home Improvement Contractors partner

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Build.com

Build.com is an online home improvement and remodeling store that offers a vast array of products with free shipping and occasional discounts. If you’re searching for home improvement products and want to compare prices online, visit Build.com’s website.

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

What is Build.com?

Build.com is a website that sells home improvement products. From bathroom sinks to deadbolts, the site has everything you need to complete a remodeling project. The company also offers special pricing for contractors and homeowners tackling multiroom projects.

Build.com offers a series of online resources through its learning center. Customers can access the learning center for design inspiration, step-by-step instructions and how-to guides for all types of home improvement projects.

How does Build.com work?

You can visit Build.com, browse the equipment and hardware and add products to your online cart as needed. When you’re ready to check out, follow the instructions to input shipping and billing information and complete the purchase.

Several shipping options are available, including free ground shipping on orders over $49. While Build.com does accept returns, the items must meet specific conditions and have been purchased within 30 to 60 days. Some items, such as paint, cannot be returned.

Build.com costs

Total pricing for products on Build.com is based on:

• The product you choose
  • How many items you purchase
  • Your shipping location and selection
  • Taxes and fees

For instance, a white Kohler farmhouse-style sink starts at $996.75. This product would qualify for free shipping under Build.com’s guidelines.

The website also offers a wealth of discounts and promotions, including up to 30% off select items, clearance products and coupon codes.

Build.com FAQ

Is Build.com safe?
Yes, Build.com is safe. Customers can review the website’s security and privacy policy page for further details.
Is Build.com a good company?
Build.com is a good company for homeowners looking to order parts and equipment for their home renovation or improvement project without hassle. Build.com is also ideal for contractors due to its professional pricing discounts and shipping policies.
Does Build.com offer free shipping?
Yes, free ground shipping is available on orders over $49. Free freight shipping is provided for orders of more than $1,499.
Who owns Build.com?
Build.com is owned by Ferguson plc. Ferguson plc operates in the United States as Ferguson Enterprises.

Is Build.com legit?

Build.com is a legitimate online store for home improvement and renovation products. The company stocks an extensive selection of home improvement tools, products and equipment helpful to those building a home or taking on a renovation project. It also offers significant discounts, coupon codes and manufacturer rebates.

Build.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Build.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Build.com?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

I ordered a fridge 2 months ago and when ordered it did say it would take 2 months. After I ordered I had a sales rep state he will be my personal liaison for any other products needed as I was attempt to get all new kitchen stuff. I wanted to wait for the fridge before making any other purchases plus I noticed the price was about $500 high per item compared to my local high end appliance store. When delivery was to be close I started track the item to find the tracking number given said the item was delivered 6 days after purchase. I reached out to my liaison to get an automatic reply that he was busy, that was 4 days ago. It took me an hour on hold to reach someone who had no clue stating she was looking at the same info I saw online. Luckily I used my business AMEX where I disputed the charge and will be refunded my $2800+. Lots of advertising done by this company, shame they can't deliver.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

Their amazing US based customer service turns the wrong to the right. They stand behind the quality of their products and really care about customer needs. I would not hesitate to buy from them again and again.

Get buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

I ordered a wine cooler from build.com. It was 1200 dollars, and 135lbs. The item was scheduled for delivery by a freight company. The freight company arrived and would not bring the item to my front door, they wanted to leave it at the curb. Once that was explained, I told the driver I would NOT be accepting the delivery, because I live in the middle of Houston, and could not move 135lbs myself. I would reschedule the delivery. The driver took off, and left the wine fridge on the curb.

I called the freight company (they didn't care) and Build.com who also DID NOT CARE. They told me that I could return the item for 150 dollars. I explained that the item was left on the curb, and I declined it. No recourse for the freight company. The only way to get a refund is to have the same freight company come out and take items back to build.com. I will NEVER again use build.com. They do not stand behind their customers, allow their vendors to provide terrible service, and simply do not care if you have a bad experience. Buy from someone else. Especially if you need any customer service.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

If you're like me, you might start at the bottom of the reviews to see what "negative" responses were made. In short, we were sent a shower door kit that had mixed kit parts. We installed the framework over several days, only to find, at the end, the doors were the wrong size. I talked to someone on live chat, and they sent a new kit. I explained that I didn't intend to hunt down and pay for packing material, drive to a dropoff to send back. They sent a driver out to get the parts but he wouldn't take them because they weren't packaged up.

I called again to Build... and told them to send someone out to pick them up as they were...not our responsibility to package up the wrong product sent. A month later they charged us again $400 (which we will appeal with our Visa). Could only get robo-answers when I tried to call. Got on live chat and they wouldn't fix the situation. Beware, it's apparently a shipping company with little staff, no operators, and no way to fix an issue, even when it's their doing.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

Compared to Home Depot (where it's better to use Google to search than try their lame search), this site is fantastic. Prices are excellent. Beats Amazon. Seems like most negative reviews are about the delivery process. For me it's been great and got everything I wanted in a timely manner and at unbeatable prices. Highly recommend. Love to have an alternate to Amazon.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

We ordered a Kohler shower pan in June. Delivered with no signature (not approved by us for that, but dropped in the driveway) when unwrapped, it was damaged. Build immediately shipped a 2nd, expedited delivery, extra packing - NOT expedited - it took 4 days to get here, and it was dropped in our driveway, NO signature (again, not approved to do so by us), and NO packing on it at all - plastic wrapped to a piece of plywood. We are awaiting our 3rd pan. They will NOT take back the damaged items (they don't do that) and won't reimburse to have them removed ($50 once with receipt is the best they can offer). I have contacted R&L directly to make SURE I get the chance to refuse delivery if this is damaged and will be pursuing a full refund if it is. Had I read the other reviews prior to ordering I'd have probably paid more to get it thru someone else. Don't bother - it's SO not worth the hassle - pay the extra to have a better experience.

Original review: July 12, 2021

I bought a lock dead latch from Build.com through Amazon.com for $20+tax. Found out Home Depot carry it for less than $7. I returned it and been charged $6 for return shipping which I did not be warned before purchase. I never have to pay for return shipping when buy anything from Amazon. If I have known about this fee, I would never buy it in the first place. Build.com should be clear about it.

Original review: June 23, 2021

I ordered three kitchen pendant lights. I normally check reviews prior to ordering anything and in this case I did not. After I placed my order I looked and saw horrible reviews and got very nervous. Our experience was the complete opposite. Our shipment was sent within a couple of days. The tracking was on point and the items were exactly as expected!

Original review: June 9, 2021

On 21 March 2021, I placed an order at Build.com for a Kohler Santa Rosa toilet. My credit card was charged right away for the price of the toilet which was approximately $300. A week later the shipping company delivered several boxes from Build.com to my house. A few days later my contractors who were working on our bathroom renovation indicated that incorrect item was delivered: instead of one Kohler toilet two Toto toilets were delivered to me. The packaging slip that was attached to the boxes indicated my name and order details for Kohler toilet.

I immediately reached out to the Build.com customer service. After approximately 40 minutes of wait time I was connected to the representative who assisted me with the return or the items which were sent to me by mistake by Build.com. A week later the shipping company came to pick up the boxes (which were unopened since original delivery), however, they were not able to pick up the boxes since they were missing a pallet on which the boxes were originally delivered. This was due to the fact that my contractors discarded the pallet together with some of the construction debris in. I called the customer service again.

After an hour wait I spoke with the representative who indicated that they can’t pick up my order without a pallet (even though all the packages are unopened and in the same condition as they were delivered to me). I was suggested to go to Home Depot and seek for a new pallet there. Since I don’t have a car which can fit a pallet into, I sent another e-mail to Build.com requesting to resolve this situation since it was obviously not my fault that Build.com messed up my order (my order was never delivered and I was stuck with two toilets I never ordered).

Shortly after I received a call from Build.com and the representative indicated that they will arrange the pick up of the boxes by UPS (who do not require the pallet). She also indicated that I will get my money back shortly after the items are picked up. The next day the UPS guy came by and was able to pick up only two boxes (one toilet) since Build.com provided him with only two labels (while I specifically indicated that there are 2 toilets in 4 boxes). After correspondence with the customer service again I was assured that they will send additional two labels.

The next day the same UPS guy came with ONE LABEL for 0.5lbs package (!) and obviously did not pick up the second toilet since there are two boxes and their weight is definitely more than 0.5lbs. I sent another e-mail to the customer service but they responded that I need to “call in and ask to speak with a manager”. After my request to provide the direct phone number of the manager or ask him/her to call me (I don’t have time to spend additional hour waiting on the line and explaining the entire story from the beginning) there was a radio silence - Build.com customer decided to stop responding on my e-mails.

As a summary, I have never received my original order but was charged for it. It’s almost 3 months that I am dealing with Build.com and trying to get my money back for the order that I have never received. They suggested that I talk to the manager and stopped responding to my e-mails… I’m currently dealing with my bank to dispute this fraudulent transaction with Build.com. I would never do any business with this company!

Original review: June 8, 2021

Build.com also known as Build with Ferguson is not a legitimate company. They take your order and your money with no intention of delivering the actual products to you. We spent $696 in March 2021 and never received our order nor our money back. After waiting for 3 months and continually checking on the status of our order month after month, we were told today that they had canceled the order due to the items being discontinued. Our money still has not been refunded. We received no products of any kind. We are still trying to get our money back. Do not buy from them unless you want to give away free money to a sham operation. Even the customer service agents' behavior seemed very shady. Buyer beware.

Build.com Company Information