1.7/5 (31 ratings)
Find a Home Improvement Contractors partner

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Build.com

Build.com is an online home improvement and remodeling store that offers a vast array of products with free shipping and occasional discounts. If you’re searching for home improvement products and want to compare prices online, visit Build.com’s website.

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

What is Build.com?

Build.com is a website that sells home improvement products. From bathroom sinks to deadbolts, the site has everything you need to complete a remodeling project. The company also offers special pricing for contractors and homeowners tackling multiroom projects.

Build.com offers a series of online resources through its learning center. Customers can access the learning center for design inspiration, step-by-step instructions and how-to guides for all types of home improvement projects.

How does Build.com work?

You can visit Build.com, browse the equipment and hardware and add products to your online cart as needed. When you’re ready to check out, follow the instructions to input shipping and billing information and complete the purchase.

Several shipping options are available, including free ground shipping on orders over $49. While Build.com does accept returns, the items must meet specific conditions and have been purchased within 30 to 60 days. Some items, such as paint, cannot be returned.

Build.com costs

Total pricing for products on Build.com is based on:

• The product you choose
  • How many items you purchase
  • Your shipping location and selection
  • Taxes and fees

For instance, a white Kohler farmhouse-style sink starts at $996.75. This product would qualify for free shipping under Build.com’s guidelines.

The website also offers a wealth of discounts and promotions, including up to 30% off select items, clearance products and coupon codes.

Build.com FAQ

Is Build.com safe?
Yes, Build.com is safe. Customers can review the website’s security and privacy policy page for further details.
Is Build.com a good company?
Build.com is a good company for homeowners looking to order parts and equipment for their home renovation or improvement project without hassle. Build.com is also ideal for contractors due to its professional pricing discounts and shipping policies.
Does Build.com offer free shipping?
Yes, free ground shipping is available on orders over $49. Free freight shipping is provided for orders of more than $1,499.
Who owns Build.com?
Build.com is owned by Ferguson plc. Ferguson plc operates in the United States as Ferguson Enterprises.

Is Build.com legit?

Build.com is a legitimate online store for home improvement and renovation products. The company stocks an extensive selection of home improvement tools, products and equipment helpful to those building a home or taking on a renovation project. It also offers significant discounts, coupon codes and manufacturer rebates.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Build.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Build.com?

Original review: May 28, 2022

I will never again buy anything from this company. We needed a compact washer/dryer for our space, and Build with Ferguson was one of the few who sold the one we wanted and said they had it in stock. It was unavailable in any retail stores near us. By the time we purchased, we had already been without a washing machine for 3 weeks as ours broke and we tried unsuccessfully to have it repaired. We purchased from Build because their website said they could get it to us the fastest. A week later, they delivered just the dryer. Not only did they not call us to let us know that they weren’t delivering the washer (we were worried it at been stolen), they also dropped the dryer off at the bottom of the hill we live on, despite our explicit conversation with their freight carrier to please bring it to the back alley behind our house. My husband had to walk it 3 blocks by himself to get it in our house, including a bumpy gravel alley.

Then when we contacted them to find out what was happening with the washer, at first they tried to claim it had been delivered. Then after being passed around to multiple people and hung up on, they realized it was on back order. They said it should arrive “sometime next month” and eventually told us it was coming over 2 weeks later. We asked for a discount because of the significant delay, which they declined.

Then on the day it was supposed to be delivered, I got a call from the carrier saying they didn’t have it on the truck. I called Build and once again, at first they were confused, and put me on hold, and transferred me accidentally to the carrier. Then eventually they figured out that the carrier had LOST the washer somewhere in Atlanta, days ago. They couldn’t tell me how soon they’d be able to ship a replacement. I couldn’t take it anymore so I canceled and got a refund. Horrible experience, terrible customer service, and incompetence everywhere. Never, ever buy from these people.

Original review: April 25, 2022

We ordered two gorgeous Toto toilets from Build.com thru Amazon. They both arrived damaged, yet the boxes were fine. In the first box the toilet tank was shattered; in the second box the toilet base was shattered. In dealing with Customer Service in 14 different emails (so far), both through regular email service and the Amazon messaging service, the Build.com rep denied receipt of the photos of both toilets. After resending the photos, she denied receiving photos of the second toilet. In each email, all photos sent clearly showed the broken pieces in both boxes, and the damage. Their next request was to take better photos with more detail, which required cutting open the exterior mailing box as well as the Toto box. Additional photos were taken and sent through both platforms. We will not deal with this company again and hope Amazon drops them as a vendor.

Get buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 11, 2022

I purchased faucets for my bathroom from Build.com because I was told their prices are so good. NOT TRUE!! I paid over $250 more for 2 faucets than Lowe’s charges. I suggest you go there first. Customer service is terrible, they don’t answers emails or phone calls. I was put on hold forever then the call was deleted. Not happy with this company at all!!

Original review: April 3, 2022

I ordered a chandelier that had a larger description online and when the chandelier arrived the chandelier was a lot smaller than what was listed. Unfortunately the initial customer service representative was very rude and even laughed at me when I explained my frustration with having paid an electrician to install a chandelier that was small and built crooked. Even after she acknowledged their mistake with listing that chandelier incorrectly, I had to speak to a manager and that manager said all they could do was return the chandelier but I would need to pay to get it taken down as well as purchase a box because they don’t typically return the items without the box.

I was advised that I could not be compensated in any way for having already paid to have the chandelier installed or having to pay again to get it reinstalled although the mistake was made on their behalf. I am now out of the cost of having it installed and now having to have it taken down and having a new one installed. They weren’t willing to do anything to resolve their mistake and now I will need to wait another month at least a month to get the refund. Horrible company, will not do business with them in the future. Buyer beware. It costs $700 each time the electrician has to come out to install old and install chandelier. This will be an additional $1400 on top of the $700 for the initial uninstall and reinstall of the current chandelier On top of the cost of the new chandelier.

Original review: March 17, 2022

2 months ago I bought a fridge. They gave a delivery estimate of 3 months. I also bought an extended warranty for it - and found out later that the warranty starts on the day of purchase. NOT at delivery. AND it includes the 1-year manufacturer's warranty. Not quite a extended as it sounds... Then I got a call from the shipper (a month before scheduled) that my fridge would be delivered tomorrow on a semi: could they drive that to my house? No, not tomorrow, I'd either need a few days to clear the area or a smaller truck. The shipper said they could easily send it on a smaller truck. I called them a week later to see when to get my fridge (that I waited 2 months for) and learned that they sent it back instead. They claimed my money had been refunded, because I "refused delivery". Well, I had not received any notification of refunded money either. So what happened?

I had paid by PayPal and when I cancelled the fraudulent warranty, it was refunded to paypal. The fridge was "refunded to original payment method" in their system - which meant the money was NOT sent back to me until I complained. They simply sat on it. I asked if I could get my fridge from the shipper's terminal: no. They take customer's money as free loans and have no actual products to ship. Do NOT give them your money, Build with Ferguson is a fraud!

Original review: March 13, 2022

I have used Build.com in the past to purchase many items for my home improvement projects and the service is usually great. However, something happened recently that makes me doubt our financial institutions as well as these web-based retailers. Someone recently used an old Amex card that was associated with my Build.com account to purchase $2,000 worth of plumbing supplies.

I check my credit card accounts fairly regularly but this purchase happened right after one of my check ins. When I saw the charges on my card, I immediately called the credit card company but they told me because the card number was already associated with Build.com I should speak with them. It was Sunday so I would have to wait to actually speak with anyone so I started doing some digging. It seems even though the order was not made under the account I have with Build.com, my email address associated with the account did receive some notifications. The first was on 3/6, the day the order was placed. I did not receive an order confirmation but they did email me to tell me there was a problem with the payment information. I am not sure if the fraudsters fixed the issue because I didn't and yet, the order went through.

I got a second email on March 7th indicating the items were on the way. Luckily that email had the UPS tracking numbers and I was able to confirm the items were delivered to me at an address in NJ and were delivered on March 8th. For the record, I don't live in NJ, never have, don't know anyone in NJ and have never purchased anything to be shipped to NJ. I don't know if the residents that live in Princeton Junction are a part of the fraud or not but now that I had enough knowledge to about the fraudulent order, I did not want to wait until 3/14 to contact Build.com so I used the chat options. The person I chatted with was pleasant and has nothing to do with my frustration at this time. They informed me that the transaction was flagged on 3/10 by Build.com as fraud and that I would be receiving a refund.

My anger comes from the fact that Build.com knew the day of the order that something wasn't right because they sent me an email about it. However, they processed the order and shipped out the items in less than two days. The items were ordered on 3/6 and delivered on 3/8. It seems on the 10th they decided it was indeed Fraud, had charged my credit card but had not informed me that there was fraud. I found out because I actually check my charges. Had I not done so, I would have paid $2,000 for something I did not purchase and that Build.com knew I didn't purchase. Were they waiting to see if I would do something about it or if they were going to get to keep my money? I no longer have any faith in this company to do what is in the best interest of their customers.

Why is it that the people who are victims of Fraud are not informed and are only refunded if they catch it? The bigger question is why does a credit card company who knows that an account number has been breached and used for fraud in the past refuse to close down that card number completely and continue to let it happen?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

Build.com is owned by Ferguson’s Plumbing. They own an appliance showroom in Las Vegas and supposedly an installation service for appliances bought through them. We went to the Showroom with a decorator to remodel our kitchen. After ordering and fully paying for the appliances the salesperson never informed us that the rangetop was not actually available. 2 months later I was informed it would not be available for 6 to 8 months. I attempted to call our assigned saleswoman, Heidi, no less than 3 times leaving a message to call me back since she never answers a phone. I finally gave up and ordered my replacements on Appliance Connection. Getting my money refunded from Ferguson’s took 2 months and many more phone calls.

Last week the oven got delivered, but the Ferguson installers refused to install falsely claiming the custom cabinet was not deep enough (not true). I had to pay an additional $400 to have a professional appliance installer come to the house, push the oven into its custom space, and simply attach the electrical whip. Their installers acted annoyed that they had to perform work. I will NEVER order anything from this company again.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

Ordered a 72 in vanity with mirror. First shipment was lost. Second one arrived damaged on the inside. Reached out to customer service. Just asked for touch up paint. They now say they will provide a $250 credit to pay for the paint OR I can recrate the unit and return it for a refund. I'm 72. It weighs 750lbs. So I'd have to pay to return it. I could not possibly be more disappointed in this whole process. Customer service, shipping, product, vendor. All of it. Don't buy from them. They don't stand behind their product. Customer service person was horrible. Kept changing her mind as to what she could do.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

I placed a order over $1000 charging and had to return some items. BUILD sends me an email saying they received the return and issued a credit to the BUILD credit card I used. But no credit was issued. Two months later I'm calling and calling and all Build reps say "the credit was issued (I used their own BUILD credit card), we'll send your inquiry to our finance team." All this while BUILD credit card company keeps those collection calls from India coming.

After a while BUILD escalate your calls to "The Office of the President". This contact promises to resolve the issue but the only thing new they can come up with after studying the problem for nearly a week - is they have to see copies of your credit card statements as proof. Finally I contact BUILD credit card company to open a formal dispute (disputes are negative against credit scores by the way) and BUILD credit card company says "I can see in the computer system that your return for that amount was received, but BUILD is holding on to the credit and not processing it." That is how this company treats customers. Go elsewhere.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

I ordered a towel bar through Walmart.com. The order was filled by a third party -- Build.com. The box holding the towel bar arrived and I put it in the spare room till I was ready to install. The box did not look damaged to me. When I opened the box some time later, I saw the towel bar was bent and unusable. I contacted Walmart and asked how I could do a return and get a credit. Build.com contacted me and said they would be happy to help, but needed pictures so they could make a claim against the shipper. I took 5 or 6 pictures and sent them to the company. I received an email saying they didn't get the pictures. I sent them again. I received another email saying the same thing - that there were no pictures attached to my email. I sent the pictures again and have not received a reply. I emailed them later and asked what the status was -- no reply. I think their asking for pictures was a ruse to stall until I gave up on getting a refund.

Build.com Company Information