Find a Home Improvement Contractors partner

Help me decide

1.8/5 (11 ratings)
Find a Home Improvement Contractors partner

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Build.com

Build.com is an online home improvement and remodeling store that offers a vast array of products with free shipping and occasional discounts. If you’re searching for home improvement products and want to compare prices online, visit Build.com’s website.

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

What is Build.com?

Build.com is a website that sells home improvement products. From bathroom sinks to deadbolts, the site has everything you need to complete a remodeling project. The company also offers special pricing for contractors and homeowners tackling multiroom projects.

Build.com offers a series of online resources through its learning center. Customers can access the learning center for design inspiration, step-by-step instructions and how-to guides for all types of home improvement projects.

How does Build.com work?

You can visit Build.com, browse the equipment and hardware and add products to your online cart as needed. When you’re ready to check out, follow the instructions to input shipping and billing information and complete the purchase.

Several shipping options are available, including free ground shipping on orders over $49. While Build.com does accept returns, the items must meet specific conditions and have been purchased within 30 to 60 days. Some items, such as paint, cannot be returned.

Build.com costs

Total pricing for products on Build.com is based on:

• The product you choose
  • How many items you purchase
  • Your shipping location and selection
  • Taxes and fees

For instance, a white Kohler farmhouse-style sink starts at $996.75. This product would qualify for free shipping under Build.com’s guidelines.

The website also offers a wealth of discounts and promotions, including up to 30% off select items, clearance products and coupon codes.

Build.com FAQ

Is Build.com safe?
Yes, Build.com is safe. Customers can review the website’s security and privacy policy page for further details.
Is Build.com a good company?
Build.com is a good company for homeowners looking to order parts and equipment for their home renovation or improvement project without hassle. Build.com is also ideal for contractors due to its professional pricing discounts and shipping policies.
Does Build.com offer free shipping?
Yes, free ground shipping is available on orders over $49. Free freight shipping is provided for orders of more than $1,499.
Who owns Build.com?
Build.com is owned by Ferguson plc. Ferguson plc operates in the United States as Ferguson Enterprises.

Is Build.com legit?

Build.com is a legitimate online store for home improvement and renovation products. The company stocks an extensive selection of home improvement tools, products and equipment helpful to those building a home or taking on a renovation project. It also offers significant discounts, coupon codes and manufacturer rebates.

Build.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Build.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Build.com?

Original review: July 12, 2021

I bought a lock dead latch from Build.com through Amazon.com for $20+tax. Found out Home Depot carry it for less than $7. I returned it and been charged $6 for return shipping which I did not be warned before purchase. I never have to pay for return shipping when buy anything from Amazon. If I have known about this fee, I would never buy it in the first place. Build.com should be clear about it.

Original review: June 9, 2021

On 21 March 2021, I placed an order at Build.com for a Kohler Santa Rosa toilet. My credit card was charged right away for the price of the toilet which was approximately $300. A week later the shipping company delivered several boxes from Build.com to my house. A few days later my contractors who were working on our bathroom renovation indicated that incorrect item was delivered: instead of one Kohler toilet two Toto toilets were delivered to me. The packaging slip that was attached to the boxes indicated my name and order details for Kohler toilet.

I immediately reached out to the Build.com customer service. After approximately 40 minutes of wait time I was connected to the representative who assisted me with the return or the items which were sent to me by mistake by Build.com. A week later the shipping company came to pick up the boxes (which were unopened since original delivery), however, they were not able to pick up the boxes since they were missing a pallet on which the boxes were originally delivered. This was due to the fact that my contractors discarded the pallet together with some of the construction debris in. I called the customer service again.

After an hour wait I spoke with the representative who indicated that they can’t pick up my order without a pallet (even though all the packages are unopened and in the same condition as they were delivered to me). I was suggested to go to Home Depot and seek for a new pallet there. Since I don’t have a car which can fit a pallet into, I sent another e-mail to Build.com requesting to resolve this situation since it was obviously not my fault that Build.com messed up my order (my order was never delivered and I was stuck with two toilets I never ordered).

Shortly after I received a call from Build.com and the representative indicated that they will arrange the pick up of the boxes by UPS (who do not require the pallet). She also indicated that I will get my money back shortly after the items are picked up. The next day the UPS guy came by and was able to pick up only two boxes (one toilet) since Build.com provided him with only two labels (while I specifically indicated that there are 2 toilets in 4 boxes). After correspondence with the customer service again I was assured that they will send additional two labels.

The next day the same UPS guy came with ONE LABEL for 0.5lbs package (!) and obviously did not pick up the second toilet since there are two boxes and their weight is definitely more than 0.5lbs. I sent another e-mail to the customer service but they responded that I need to “call in and ask to speak with a manager”. After my request to provide the direct phone number of the manager or ask him/her to call me (I don’t have time to spend additional hour waiting on the line and explaining the entire story from the beginning) there was a radio silence - Build.com customer decided to stop responding on my e-mails.

As a summary, I have never received my original order but was charged for it. It’s almost 3 months that I am dealing with Build.com and trying to get my money back for the order that I have never received. They suggested that I talk to the manager and stopped responding to my e-mails… I’m currently dealing with my bank to dispute this fraudulent transaction with Build.com. I would never do any business with this company!

Get buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 8, 2021

Build.com also known as Build with Ferguson is not a legitimate company. They take your order and your money with no intention of delivering the actual products to you. We spent $696 in March 2021 and never received our order nor our money back. After waiting for 3 months and continually checking on the status of our order month after month, we were told today that they had canceled the order due to the items being discontinued. Our money still has not been refunded. We received no products of any kind. We are still trying to get our money back. Do not buy from them unless you want to give away free money to a sham operation. Even the customer service agents' behavior seemed very shady. Buyer beware.

Original review: June 3, 2021

The level of incompetence with customer service is staggering. We ordered a full set of Kohler products. We review what was sent and a trim valve was missing. We contact them and they say "oh, we will get you another one". Later in the day, we get the "oh, we're not sure it's available" and we get an update it's on backorder for a month. That was in November!! We get monthly updates on each "fake" shipping date that it is delayed another month. We finally say screw it and order a similar looking one so we can actually use our new shower. If they had been upfront about delays, we could have just ordered the similar one and been done with it. But when they keep promising you a product and keep you on the hook, that is infuriating! And sorry, but the "covid delay" excuse is ** after more than a year.

So this new incompetent rep, Sara **, seems helpful at first, but when she bills us for a rough-in valve that we don't need, she becomes even worse than the previous reps. I have sent multiple emails to her in the last 4 weeks to get help and her solution? "Just stop emailing us!" That's just beyond unacceptable but apparently the way Build.com does business. Solution? Most certainly take your business elsewhere to a respectable company and not some anonymous, fly-by-night online place. I have learned my lesson and you have been warned.

Original review: May 24, 2021

Build.com is quick to take your money, they will promise you same day shipment and fast delivery. But they lie. I called them on 05/21/2021, was promised same day shipment, ordered show pan (). Today is May 24, online order tracking showing it is still in processing with estimated day shipping (this is a copy and paste from website): "Estimated to Ship by Fri, May 21st". Tried to call them many times, they are quick to connect to sales to place new order, but I was never able to reach customer service and ask about my order (usually called dropped after 40-50 min wait time). Terrible experience, I am not sure they have products they are selling in stock, and this can be the reason for delays and not answering calls. Avoid this company at any cost, they are just a bunch of crooks.

Original review: April 14, 2021

Avoid this company at ALL COSTS. Read other reviews, ZERO customer service. Do NOT do business with them. You buy something, You own it, no matter whose fault it is. I have been on hold well over an hour. Also, when I tried to use the chat function, after 45 minutes, when I was finally first in line they logged me off.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

Story about Build by Ferguson and their poor shipping services. I placed an order last weekend through Build by Ferguson. I ordered one shower door, one price, one number. Much to my surprise, it ships as two parts (no notation of this in the item description). In addition it shipped from two different carriers. Originally scheduled for delivery on Wednesday, 2/24 from both carriers. One of the carriers (Estes) never called me and the tracking info was never updated. By Friday, it still showed as being delivered on Wednesday.

The other R&L Carriers called immediately, but told me I needed to be present on Wednesday from 2-5pm to sign, they also told me I could complete a form to allow them to drop without signature, which I completed and emailed back the same day (Monday). Despite multiple calls with R&L, the item was never delivered.  After multiple calls I kept getting told, "You have to call back later and tell the other person." They never found my form yet I sent it, multiple times to the email they provided. Estes local terminal told me it was just delivered to them on Friday (despite being told it was to be at my house on Wednesday), but at least did offer pick-up services. Something that R&L would not do.

Moral of the story, stick with a reputable company and service. We may take for granted UPS, FEDEX and places like Home Depot and Lowe's, but they would never allow this type of customer service. Buyer beware and that's why I'm spending the time to write this in the hope that someone reads it and makes a better choice than I did.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I would recommend buying house repair items through Build.com. I bought two kitchen faucets. Their price was good, they applied the coupons automatically, and delivery was fast. The options to narrow search results could be better.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

You cannot return any appliances ordered from this site, and they don't tell you that up front. They have very deceptive practices and are a total rip-off. Their customer service is also horrible. Please share this post so others do not make the same mistake that I made.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Ordered 2 replacement cartridges for a Danze/Gerber bathroom faucet. Both parts showed in stock when I placed the order and paid for the order. I was sent a tracking number and also an email a day later notifying me that there was a back order. I sent an email to Build.com to see why there was a back order when both parts showed in stock. This was the response returned to me: "I contacted Danze and they confirmed the 101 shipped out today with tracking **. The 102 will ship out today or tomorrow but they just do not have tracking as of yet. I apologize, the back order date was an auto generated email from the manufacturer. Let me know if you have any questions."

The order arrived 2 days later but missing one item. The day the order arrived and I saw what happened I immediately sent a reply email to the person notifying them of the problem, but no response has been sent by the next day! I then called Build.com and waited at least 20 minutes for the next available agent to help me. When he answered my call I gave them my order number and explained that when I ordered they showed several in stock for both items but I did not get one of my items. He said that the shipping was scheduled for a month from now from the manufacturer. I explained that they showed in stock and I also received an email from Build.com saying that they would be shipping shortly. He then said that the manufacturer is out and it won't ship until next month.

Basically he didn't care. I said that this was bait and switch tactics. He said that they i.e. Build.com do not warehouse anything. They are strictly online ordering and send it to the manufacturers to fill. If the numbers are not right it is the manufacturer's fault. SO they have no dog in the fight and could care less if I buy or not because you buy online thinking that it is a large operation by the description of the web page but all they are is an office that is an order processing business. So I will never use them again and would recommend to others thinking of using them to be buyer beware. They are a lot of show but no go type of online company. The reason for ordering was that they showed in stock. But hindsight is that they don't stock anything at all!

Build.com Company Information