1.34/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

254 West Elm Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

First of all, the shipping date for the order I placed kept changing every single day. I have ordered another item before, and I have double confirmed that my address was correct. However, I never received the item like I was suppose to yesterday because the address was incorrect. I have contacted UPS and they have confirmed to me that the street name was missing a few words, therefore the driver could not locate the address and failed to deliver the item. I have took time off work to be at home yesterday awaiting the package. Not only did I lose valuable work time, I have no furniture, and now I have no idea when it will be delivered.

1.) Stop using UPS for home delivery because there's no way anyone can track the delivery timeframe, also for people living in condos and apartments, it's a nightmare. Please use delivery service that will contact the customer beforehand or allow the item to be left without signature. 2.) Please please make sure to confirm the shipping address is correct!!! This is common knowledge and I'm shocked my address was incorrect. 3.) Provide a better customer service care, I'm tired of hearing "that's nothing I can do". It's your fault, so yes you need to do everything you can to fix the problem.

4.) Your furniture department is a mess, since I can see that most problems are with delivery, you need to make changes to your management. I'll never shop at West Elm again, and I would advise anyone ordering their furniture to never use West Elm, I don't want you to go through what I'm going through. I also had an extreme hard time with my couch delivery as well.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Before you buy from West Elm this holiday season please consider my experience purchasing ONE ITEM. Issues with my Order: (Keep in mind that every one of these issues has required at least 3 phone calls before progress was made.) I ordered the Art Display Coffee Table on October 7th and waited over a month before they scheduled delivery. I called West Elm to change my delivery address, but the customer service rep I spoke with must not have actually changed it in their system because it was still delivered to my old address.

When the Art Display Coffee Table finally arrived it was DAMAGED and instead of the WALNUT wood display, I received a piece of WHITE PLASTIC. Numerous calls were placed to rectify and replace the damaged and pick it up. I was told that the new coffee table would be dropped off when they picked up the damaged item, but a week later they only PICKED UP THE DAMAGED ITEM, BUT DID NOT REPLACE. I was then told my replacement coffee table was put on hold -- the customer service rep could not explain why this happened, but assured me they would contact for delivery soon, THEY DID NOT.

I called several more times to figure out how I could get the coffee table delivered and I was told it would be coming in the mail this time, but of course it didn't. I had to make numerous more calls before the coffee table was actually sent, but my issues don't stop there... I received TWO COFFEE TABLES so now I am again forced to call West Elm Customer Service, who assured me that UPS would be getting in touch with me to schedule pickup -- THIS STILL HAS NOT HAPPENED.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I ordered the metal curtain rod in gold and in the process of installing it one of the brackets broke. I called customer service to ask that they send another bracket. They stated that you have to send the original back to them. I explained it was partially installed and I would have to remove it from my walls making more holes and making it more difficult to re-install. They stated they would not send another until the whole thing was returned and they had the product. I explained we would like to get our curtains hung and don't want to have the additional time waiting, just dispatch the item now. They refused and would not let me talk to a supervisor. I sent an email complaining and am going to wait to see if anyone else responds before removing this from the wall.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

My experience with WEST ELM has been horrible and a nightmare to say the least. Last week during Black Friday/ Cyber Monday deals, I signed up for the credit card and was interested in buying curtains. I went to the store in Summit, NJ two times to place the order because I was hoping for them to look me up so I could use the West Elm credit card and earn rewards/ reap benefits with free shipping. I went to the Summit, NJ store two times. The first time, I was in the process of ordering the curtains when the sales associate went on break in the middle of it. The next sales associate said, "Yes we do not have the item in the store," and THEN WALKED AWAY. I stood there completely dumbfounded as I was in the process of already ordering it. I then called the customer service line a few hours later and they stated they couldn’t help because I didn’t have my card from West Elm in hand.

A glutton for punishment, I went back the next day again to try to get the best of the deal and again I was ignored and left completely in disbelief how little this store care about their customers. I called back customer service today to explain my situation again and now that I received my card would like to place the order. Also the current coupon code stated that it was expired. They stated that the store and online are two different things and that they can “honor” the current coupon code however I will still have to pay shipping so what was originally $250 total with taxes will be $350 with taxes.

They were unable to assist me with the issue and asked me to reach corporate. I thought I was speaking with corporate this whole time. I have never ever experienced such ** service and have no understanding why they even are in business. I have shopped at William Sonoma, Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn and never experienced this. I will never spend a dime here nor any of their sister stores. JUST ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED BY THIS WHOLE EXPERIENCE.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

We ordered this couch specifically to have weeks before Thanksgiving. They moved the ship date back twice without ever notifying us, leaving us stranded without a couch for over a month now. After being in touch with Customer Service AND the parent company, still no word on when it can be shipped. After many phone calls and emails now they are saying part of it is missing. It's been one month after the original ship date was supposed to be and still no word. This is on top of the original 6 weeks it takes to make the couch. So insane that they have this level of customer service sharing a parent company with Pottery Barn. Extremely frustrating.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about West Elm?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Placed an order for the Vertical Gramavox record player in late September because the products actual site said shipping would take longer. Woohoo I thought, I found it on West Elm's site. Not really. I have had holds for $600 go on and off my card since then- it's been 3 months and the product is never shipped so the holds expire and they say my card was declined, so I call back to give them my CC #, hold goes on and stays on for a week then the same ordeal.

Not ONE person returned my calls or emails as they said they would follow up, or even answer my questions would tell me to call again, or that the manager was assigned to watching it. Bottom line- 3 months after an order I was supposed to get in a week or so and it's now sold out on the companies site as well so thanks to West Elm I don't know when I'll get it. Idiots.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

This all started on September 27, 2018 when I went online to purchase two Audrey nightstands. I placed the two items in my cart and went to check out but it kept giving me a system error. I tried checking out twice with no success so I decided to call the customer service number for assistance. The representative help me place the order and all was good. Later on in the same day I realized that the nightstands had gone on sale so I call back to see if I could get the sale price in which the representative was very helpful and gave me a credit of the difference which was $171.04. The nightstands were to be delivered October 2 but there was a slight delay. Once they were finally delivered to my surprise the UPS driver brought six nightstands. I told him I did not order six. I only ordered two.

Apparently the two orders that I attempted to place online actually went through. He said I could refuse the other four which is what I did however I was charged for all six. What should have been a simple fix turned out to be a nightmare. I filed a dispute with the credit card company but was unsuccessful with that. For the past three months now I have been going back-and-forth with West Elm customer service to try to get this issue resolved and have still been unsuccessful. I was issued two refunds in the amount of $760.18 both which were later reversed.

Shortly after I received a refund for $345.53, $103.66 and another one for $294.53. I was told that I will also be issued a refund in the amount of $333.29 and also another one for $294.58 which equals a total refund amount of $1,371.62 which is still short $148.74 of the $1520.36 that I’m owed. I ended up having to write a letter to corporate to get the issue resolved. Nothing in West Elm store is worth what I had to go through And Comenity Bank is the worst credit card company to deal with as they only protect the merchant not the cardholder.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

This was my first experience with West Elm and I have to say that I'm not pleased at all. I've had the type of issue that others would like to have. 11/25/18 I made a $5,700 purchase. Keys was the sales associate. I had a pleasant experience that day and was happy after we submitted our order. I was comfortable at home prior to heading to the store and was going to place my order online. The ONLY reason why I decided to head into the city was because I wanted to make sure that my order would not ship for at least 2 weeks (the apartment I'm moving to is undergoing renovations). I was told this would not be an issue. On 11/26, I received an email from West Elm indicating that one of the items had shipped. On 11/27, I called West Elm to ensure that the items would not be delivered because the apartment was not ready and the contractors could not have items while they were doing the floors. I was promised this would not be a problem.

On 11/28, I received another email indicating that other items had shipped. I immediately called West Elm again. I was told that there was nothing they could do about items that had shipped and that I would need to call UPS. Therefore, I called UPS and provided tracking numbers. UPS mentioned that they could not help because the sender had restricted everyone from modifying the destination and timing. As such, on 11/29 I spoke to Jay from West Elm who told me that he would call UPS. He promised to call me back but never did. I then realized that UPS had a membership to their "UPS My Choice" which gives paid members the ability to redirect or delay the delivery of packages. I immediately paid and became a paid member. I attempted to log in online and stop the package but wasn't allowed.

After calling UPS again, they mentioned that the sender had placed a block and would not allow me to redirect the package. I immediately left work and walked to the store to seek help. I met with Keys again and reminded her that I had specifically requested items not be shipped out for 2 weeks. She stated that was not something she could control. After a while, she called a customer service representative who asked to speak to me. I spoke to Shannon. I explained everything to Shannon who suggested I become a UPS MY Choice member. I explained I already was. Eventually she said she'd call me back the next day after getting leadership involved.

Friday, 11/30 I received emails stating that 8 big boxes had been delivered and left in the front door. I tried calling the superintendent of the building to see if he could help and keep the boxes somewhere, but there was no common spaces available. It's a fire hazard to have these boxes in the hallway in the building for a long period of time, yet there was nothing that anyone would do about it. I had no option but to rent a U-Haul truck to move these boxes. I literally had to carry every box (Some weighing more than 20 pounds) one by one out of the building, onto the truck and up the stairs to my parents' apartment. Friday night, after moving the boxes to my parents' apartment, I get a call from Shannon who gives me good news. She had worked with UPS to return all items back to the warehouse until further notice.

Today, 12/3/18, I received an email from UPS stating that I would be receiving a package. Apparently the coffee table was delivered. This is a 78 pound package just sitting on my front door. I thought I would not be receiving any packages for at least 2 weeks, yet now there's another box there. I'm not sure why I paid $456.66 for shipping & processing. I literally paid for shipping and asked to not deliver for at least 2-3 weeks, and then ended up having to pay to rent a U-Haul to drive a truck in NYC traffic to move the boxes out of the way.

To make things worse, I now have a 78 pound box sitting in front of my door. I don't live there and the contractors cannot have these boxes in the apartment at the moment. I'm tired of being on the phone with West Elm. The customer service I have received since the first call I made on 11/27 is truly unacceptable. All I get is apologies every time something goes wrong. I cannot afford to rent another U-Haul to move the box sitting in front of the door, and I cannot keep spending hours on the phone if there will be no resolutions. I'm extremely dissatisfied and upset and don't ever plan to shop at West Elm again.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I ordered two sofa from West Elm, their website shown deliver time is 2 to 4 weeks. One month passed, no delivery, they extended to three months instead! One day after one month, I got an email say they will delivery my sofa in two days, I was very excited, but hours later they said that email was a mistake... Even that email was full of misspelling and error. Not impressed with this company. Avoid!!!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Before making a big purchase from West Elm read the many reviews here describing a frustrating and disappointing experience with NOT receiving furniture after it is ordered. In JUNE 2018 I ordered an upholstered sleigh bed online. At the time of order a message stated this was a custom order which takes about eight weeks to complete. In JULY 2018 I ordered a recliner and small wooden table and was given a delivery date of August. I tried to be patient and understanding when the anticipated delivery dates came and went. In OCTOBER 2018 I contacted customer service via email regarding the status of the furniture order and the response was for me to check the website within the next 10 days for an update on the order status. I did this and the website still said August delivery for the chair and 8 weeks for the bed, at some point the delivery date for the table changed to NOVEMBER 2018.

I emailed customer service two weeks after the first email to inquire about the status of my furniture and was given the same response. I waited the 10 days and checked the website and the delivery date info was unchanged. I called customer service and spoke to five different people and was left with the same "a supervisor will look into it and get back to you." I sent email number three a few days after the phone call to customer service. This time I informed the customer service department that I would be contacting the office of the CEO of Williams-Sonoma and West Elm. My phone began to rang, then I received three emails from three different people, all with the same story of "we are waiting to hear back from the manufacturer of the furniture."

FIVE months after I ordered the furniture I have not received anything, the website still says the recliner will be delivered in August (it is now December), the table was supposed to be delivered in November and has not arrived, and the bed says it is available for delivery but no one knows where it is. Oh, did I mention the whole room remodel was done around THIS bed? The room is painted and the linen is purchased just waiting for the bed. To change the bed now to something else would change the entire aesthetic of the room. I do not understand how a company can be so deficient in the delivery department. With so many similar experience by other customers I wonder how in the heck does West Elm stay in business?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I ordered the blue teal lucent rug from West Elm on November 26, 2018. The estimated delivery date said “November 29”. Today is November 30th and now order says “in process”. I spoke with customer service and they said that they don’t know when the rug is going to be delivered. They said that the rug “is likely on or near a delivery truck that is waiting for more merchandise to deliver”. I had a bad feeling about this order’s estimated delivery date from the beginning. Now after reading the reviews, I am very worried. I’ve been getting emails every day advertising rugs and sales. As if they don’t know that I just purchased a very expensive rug. No emails about shipping, delivery or follow up on the order. Hoping it gets delivered within a reasonable timeframe.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

We opened an account with Comenity Bank @ West Elm - Paramus, NJ store. Looking to order a rug online inside the store we realized the date was too far off to wait for the delivery. So later, we received a statement and we were billed for the rug: 1) I never received and 2) I never ordered. Three months later, I still didn't receive the money that I paid to credit card. They don't have the tracking number and they can't answer any questions I've asked about what exactly was I billed for? I would never open a card with Community Bank / West Elm. Hours if not days spend on this dispute with no resolution. But I am out of $482 dollars.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

We ordered our sectional from the Edina, MN West Elm location in August after recently purchasing our new home. It was the first furniture order we made and almost 4 months later we still don't have the sectional. No one from their customer service department can tell me where it is. The furniture delivery department phone number that I keep getting referred to has never answered my many calls or emails. We are likely going to dispute the charge on our card and tell WE to cancel the "nonreturnable" item. Thank god for American Express. Wonderful customer service and handling of these disputes. I'll never buy from West Elm again.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I bought the Peggy couch from West Elm in 2015 (google it to see how terrible this couch was) and was very disappointed in the quality. Buttons popped off and couldn't be replaced, the cushions kept creeping forward and had to be constantly adjusted- it was just a bad couch. In 05/2018, I realized that it had been recalled, so I called West Elm and arranged to have it picked up and refunded my money. It was picked up on 5/25/2018, and I am STILL (as of 11/30/2018) trying to get the merchandise credit I was promised. They have sent the credit to the wrong address multiple times despite multiple phone calls to correct them. They managed to send an unactivated credit to the correct address.

And as of now, I received notice that they are sending another card, but they left off the first number of my mailing address!! In the 6 months of dealing with that situation I have spent countless hours on hold and been shuffled between the "furniture department" and the "gift card department." Why they need a separate gift card department, and why it takes 1-2 weeks to "process" a merchandise credit card and put in the mail, I have no idea.

While this was happening, I ordered a new couch from West Elm (the Monroe) and waited 3 months for it to be delivered. Because everything about this company is terrible, it arrived broken (a screw was stuck in the hole where the leg needed to be attached). I immediately called West Elm telling them I was refusing delivery and would need a refund, and it took them over 2 months to refund my money despite them telling me it would be processed immediately. Because I thought the issue was resolved, the charge remained on my credit card balance and I accumulated >$100 in fees, which I didn't even realize was happening until the credit card company called to collect. In summary, this 6-month (and still ongoing) saga of trying to get a new couch as completely soured my view on West Elm forever.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Do not ever order from West Elm. I ordered a couch from them in September, and they gave me a set delivery date by November 21st. I never received my couch-- no one ever even tried to deliver it! They then "pushed back" the delivery date without my consent and zero communication, only giving me an "estimated shipping date." I called for weeks and weeks trying to find out where my couch was. No one seems to know where it is, or if it even exists. Then, I called customer service again and was hung up on numerous times. Basically, West Elm took my money and it seems as though the couch I ordered doesn't even exist. I had to file a claim with my credit card company. I will NEVER order from West Elm. This should be illegal to fraud people out of their hard earned money!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I try not to vent my frustrations on social media sites but I am not sure what else to do at this point and want to just find out if it has happened to other people!! On Sept. 7, 2018, I physically went to the downtown #WestElm store and placed an order for a custom couch. I received a printed copy of the order with the order number, etc. It shows an estimated delivery date of Nov. 5 - 12, 2018. I never heard anything for two months, never received an email, text message, anything!! Several times I went to the site to try and track it and it kept showing that it was shipped to Dallas on Nov. 4.

On November 13, I sent an email to #WestElm #worstcustomerserviceever to try to find out what was going on. I received a reply back on November 14 apologizing for the difficulty I’d been having. She said that she had researched and their records indicated an estimated delivery date of 11/19/18 and it was awaiting to be scheduled. She sent a phone number for the home delivery so I could speak with a specialist. She stated that upon delivery, she would refund my delivery fee for my inconvenience. I called the number and was told that they had nothing with my order number in the computer and did not have a couch awaiting a delivery for me. #aretheylyingorjustmakingupstuff.

On Nov. 9, 2018, I then went back to the downtown store where I had ordered it from and explained what was going on. The salesperson attempted to call someone but was not having any luck. She said that she would keep trying and get back to me. Later that night she left a voicemail that I should hear something by Friday, Nov. 24.

On the afternoon of November 24, I received an email with a brand new order confirmation, new order number and a new delivery date of Feb. 4 -18, 2019!!! I can assure you that there is not one piece of furniture that is worth waiting 5 months for!!! #donotwantanythingeveragainfromyourstore. I immediately called the store and asked to speak to the manager. She explained that they couldn’t find our sofa anywhere so they needed to reorder. This was without making any attempt to call, text, email me. #isanycompanythispoorlyrun!!!

I explained to them that if the couch was not found and delivered by the end of November, they would need to reimburse me for not only the missing couch but for my inconvenience as well. She said that they know nothing about an order from the time it is ordered until it is delivered!!! Again, #canacompanybethispoorlyrun!!! She was going to send an email to the upper management of the company to find out what could be done.

I received a voicemail today, Nov. 26 and she still had not heard anything. I called back and talked with her. She said that she had asked them to reach out to me. As of 9:30 pm, I have received nothing. I was outside at the time I talked with her and could not write down her email address. She said she would send it to my email address. I’m sure you can guess that I never received this either!!

I will hound this company until something gets resolved and then I can promise that I will #nevershopatWestElm #nevershopatpotterybarn #nevershopatpotterybarnkids #nevershopatwilliamandsonoma #allownedbysameplacesowouldnevergetwhatiorderedanyway. Then was talking to my niece and just found out the exact same thing happened to her cousin in Kansas City when she special ordered a chair!!! Good luck to all you people who placed orders hoping to have them by Thanksgiving!! #youwontevenhavethembychristmas.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My mom got me an 8x10 wool rug for over $1000, after only 3 months I have to throw it in the garbage, it has a bald spot. Impossible to cover. Customer service says since my mom doesn’t have a receipt they can’t do anything about it.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

My traumatic experience started on the very first day of my visiting the West Elm's Philadelphia store in Center City. I purchased a dinner table, 6 chairs, 2 large sofa for a total purchase price of about $6000. I found the sales representative to be fairly untrained with poor knowledge about the items especially the fiber type/color. We ordered the items and on review right then at the counter realized that the fabric was not exactly what we had expressed to the sales representative. Unfortunately the rep said that nothing can be done since the orders have already been placed in the computer and the company policy is that this is a FINAL purchase and CANNOT BE CHANGED. Even the 2 senior managers on duty stated the same. They said that the only way I can even TRY to change is by calling the customer department but they are VERY SURE that nothing will be altered with the order, nor it can be returned and repurchased.

I requested my sales rep to connect me to their customer service department. She called them but without speaking with them, told me to call them BUT ONLY AFTER 24 hrs because they will not have our order until after full 24 hrs. Needless to say I called the customer service the following day (after 24 hrs). It took me 1 plus hrs to even try to speak with a rep and much more time to try to explain what really transpired at the Philly store. The lady was nice and empathetic but told me that I should have called immediately asap after I realized about the fabric situation. She said that the store managers are wrong in saying that the orders take 24 plus hrs to register in the system. She said that on the contrary it's IMMEDIATELY visible to the customer department as soon as the order is placed in the computer store.

Anyhow the customer representative returned the items and repurchased with the sofa fabric that I had initially desired at the store. Suffice to say it took more than 2 hours for this process. I told her that the delivery of all the items will be after 11.15.18 (at the new address, since our rental agreement will be on 11.15.18). They had the wrong delivery address and the wrong date. They delivered ONLY ONE chair (out of 6) on 11.5.18 (10 days before via USPS) and obviously there was nobody to accept since they came early. I received an email about this nondelivery and returned item. I therefore called WE again to explain the wrong date of delivery. The person was unable to understand as to why this happened and blamed this on the SYSTEM FAILURE and incompleteness of the proper steps taken by the initial customer service representative.

He said he cannot place a new date UNLESS I RETURN and REPURCHASE the 6 chairs. I had no option but to follow his recommendations. This entire process took 2 plus hrs. Unfortunately in the meantime the dinner table got delivered but the delivery person could not locate the apartment despite the address of a large and familiar apartment complex 5 miles from Center City. They were in touch with my wife and after a time consuming process they finally came to the address. They took the table to the apartment and when they opened the box, the table had a fairly damaged part. They said they will keep the part here and will not take it. I emailed WE and my wife called them but this is yet to be resolved. I NEVER got a reply to my email NOR any supervisor called me to explain the entire system failure (despite the rep telling me that a WE supervisor shall reach out to me)…

The chair was RE- deliver BUT ONLY ONE CHAIR and that too before the 11.15.18. Luckily the apartment complex knew our names and kept the box in their storage to hand it to us. NOBODY really knows when the rest of the items will be delivered (i.e. the remaining 5 chairs, the 2 sofas and the new dinner table part). In the meantime we have the leased process completed and awaiting the delivery of the furniture so we can physically move in the apartment. Suffice to say we decided NOT to get the 3 bedroom sets (beds, TV consoles, dressers etc). We have these ordered through Raymour & Flanigan.

Hope this helps any citizen who is planning to buy from WE. I understand system failure but this experience was more than that and created a lot of trauma and wastage of unnecessary time, effort and energy. WE representative said that company policy is not to give any type of compensation to their customer even what me and my wife went through and still no sight of our rest of the furniture to be delivered.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I ordered three dining chairs from West Elm. I have not even received them yet, but I guarantee to you that no matter how wonderful these chairs are I will NEVER order from West Elm again due to the shipping experience. West Elm shipped all three of these chairs as three separate deliveries with three different tracking numbers. Two were scheduled to be delivered on a Friday and one on a Saturday a weekend that I would be away visiting family. I called UPS and tried to change the delivery date. They told me they were unable to do so because West Elm has restricted the options for the seller to change the delivery date.

I called West Elm. They told me there was nothing they could do because UPS did not allow them to change the delivery date. After much arguing, they agreed to send UPS an e-mail request. Fast forward three hours, I again call UPS. They never received any e-mails and told me that West Elm needs to call. I called West Elm. They told me there is nothing they can do. Again, after much arguing they called UPS and got them to hold the chairs in a shipping location half an hour away for me to pick up within 3 days (not what I wanted - I wanted them to be delivered a day that I would be home... But at least obtainable...).

The next day, I get a notification that one of the packages is being delivered today. Apparently West Elm got them to hold two of the packages, and not the third. I am now on the phone, once again, trying to get West Elm to call UPS to hold the third. Assuming I manage this, I will now have to cancel work in order to drive half an hour away to pick up these chairs (hopefully they fit in my car). Also I have now spent about 3 hours on the phone or on hold at this point. These chairs better cook me my dinner. In the meantime, DO NOT ORDER FROM WEST ELM.

Update: I am still on the phone. Why??? Because West Elm told me they would call UPS to sort it out and they put me on hold. I waited on hold for 20 minutes while they supposedly called UPS and then they hung up on me. I am calling yet again. UPDATE: I finally reached West Elm again. After another fun 30 minutes on hold they informed me that there is nothing they can do. The third chair will attempt to be delivered today (when I will not be able to sign for it, so it will be returned). Furthermore, they informed me that the first two chairs cannot actually be held for me to pick up, and they will be delivered Monday (again, when I will not be able to sign for them because I work, so they will be returned). At this point I said, "Fine, when they get back to you I want a refund. I will buy chairs elsewhere." Thanks West Elm for wasting four hours of my time with my family for nothing!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

If you need something in a timely manner, DO NOT TRUST THEIR DELIVERY DATES!!! I have been stung REPEATEDLY by West Elm's completely dishonest shipping estimates. They are utter rubbish. Pity because the product is good.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I wish I had read these reviews prior to spending $1900 on the Harmony down-filled sofa. I have been on the hunt for the perfect couch. I saw the Harmony online and saved up for it. We went to the store, sat on the floor sample, and decided this was our couch. We ordered a linen-blend material (that can hold-up to a 1 year old and a giant dog). The delivery date was supposed to be 10-25. I called West Elm literally 10 times trying to see why my couch wasn’t delivered on time. They gave me 20% off, and finally, almost a month later, we have the couch.

I AM SO DISAPPOINTED. It is not comfortable, and the material feels like sand paper. I expect to “sink in” to a down-filled sofa. Nope, I’m currently sitting on top of a hard “foam-feeling” platform. I should have just gone to Rooms To Go and spent $400 on basically the same couch. Of course, because it was a “custom order” I can’t return it. So here’s to hoping that we can “break it in.” I will never buy furniture from West Elm again. So mad.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I ordered a bed on Aug 25. The estimated available delivery date was around the first week of September. I started calling to follow up around mid-October. I was told that when the bed was delivered to the distribution center they forgot the side rails on the truck. Fine, I get it. But it didn't seem as though anyone was doing anything about obtaining the missing pieces until I started following up. Then the same excuse was given during a few follow up calls. The how didn't matter to me as much as what West Elm planned to do about it. It seemed to me that everyone was aware of the issue but not one person proactively took control of the situation to have the missing pieces located and delivered.

During one call I was told they did come in and transferred to their third-party vendor to schedule delivery. He then flippantly told me that information was flat out wrong and "if I were you" I would call them back. I did and then I was told it was "in transit" and to call back next week. Did that today. The rep I spoke to was sympathetic but could not give me an expected arrival date or even where it was 'in transit'. I ordered a bed at the end of summer and it is now the week before Thanksgiving and still nobody can tell me when it will be available for delivery.

The rep canceled the order for me today and refunded my $900 which I appreciate. I like the furniture but will never order from here again. What a waste of time and effort. To be clear, the reps weren't overtly rude, just indifferent and not helpful. Although the last two reps I spoke to seemed frustrated by the situation along with me. Perhaps their hands were tied and it's a process/training issue but either way it's a poor reflection on the West Elm brand. And judging by other online comments, my experience is not uncommon.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

This West Elm nightmare is finally over! After about 15 calls, hold times up to 2.5 hours, multiple unanswered emails, messages to managers that were never return, I will finally get the money back on furniture I placed. I have already filed a complaint with the NY State Attorney General requesting an inquiry into consumer fraud. If you have never made a purchase, DON'T! If you have, CANCEL IT NOW!

My story: On 9/24 I bought a nightstand table, dresser, and bed all of the same design. The nightstand table was delivered 10/5. The dresser was shipped to the warehouse 10/1. It never shipped to my apartment because the bed had not yet arrived at the warehouse. The bed is made by a vendor who West Elm has not control over. The bed was supposed to arrive at the warehouse 10/6-10/12.

10/12 I called to find out the status. I was told that the vendor has not yet shipped it to the warehouse and that there was no updated in the system on if the bed was still being made. A few days later I called back, and there was still no update by the vendor. The customer service representative said she would send out a message to the vendor but that they usually don't reply for 5-7 business days.

So a week later I called back and there still was no update in the system by the vendor. I asked to be transferred to a manager and was on hold for over 1 hour before I was connected. The manager said she would escalate things and give me a call back in 24 business hours. The next day, no call back from the manager. I called again, again was on hold for over an hour. Spoke to a manager Courtney **, who said she would send an urgent message to the vendor. I asked for her email so that I wouldn't have to wait an hour on hold just to get an update. She said she should hear something back in 3 business days.

3 days later I sent her an email, no reply. The next day I sent her another email, no reply. It has been 1 week now from my first email to her and still no reply! I called the service line, asked to be transferred to her directly. The agent replied she had just left the office and to try again tomorrow. I called the next day at 10 AM - was told she was not at the desk. I called an hour later 11 AM - was told she was not at the desk.

I called again making to be transferred to a manager. Another 2 hours on hold. I was connected to manager Jessie ** who said he sees in the system all the messages that have been sent to the vendor since October. It's now Nov 8th and the vendor has not even replied to the message! I asked, at what point does this become unacceptable? Do I just wait for months for my bed? He said he could cancel the order and issue a refund. I told him that I already have the side table which belongs to this collection. He said he could have it picked up and issue a refund. I wasn't sure at this time so he said that he would send another urgent message to the vendor and should have a reply in 3 business days (yeah right). I took his name and his email address.

Later that day I decided to go ahead and cancel the order. I called back, asked to speak to Jesse and was transferred to his voice mail. I left a message, saying we spoke a few hours ago and I decided to cancel my order, and for him to please call me back. It's been 2 days and still no callback! This was 4 PM and we initially spoke around 1 PM! I sent him an email with the same message, and still no email reply!

So I called back the main number, asked the customer service representative to cancel my order. He said he could cancel it but that I would have to pay the shipping fees for the dresser that was at the warehouse! I said that is ridiculous, that I'm only canceling because I never received the bed. I asked to be transferred to a manager. After being on hold for 1 hour, I was connect to a manager, who told me she would cancel the items but that I could only get merchandise credit for the nightstand table because I've had it for over 30 days!

I told her the only reason I had it so long was because I've been waiting for the bed to ship. I asked her to tell me when it was delivered and she said Oct 5. It was Nov 8 when I called, so it was only 33 days! I said, "Are you really not able to be flexible, it's only been 3 extra days! I don't want merchandise credit, I want my money back." She said, "Sorry, it's company policy." I asked to speak to her boss, who she said was Teresa the CEO. She said that Teresa would tell me the same thing but that she would give her my message and she will call me on Sunday.

I called back the customer service line, again asked to speak to a manager. I decided at this point I just want to get rid of this furniture and I was willing to lose the $300 in merchandise credit for the nightstand table. This time I was connected to the most helpful agent, Richard **. I told Richard the story and he said he understands and will be able to refund everything, including the side table! I told him another agent said that she couldn't and he said, "Well the management tells us not to, and I'll probably be slapped on the wrist for doing it for you. but I've been here long enough so they won't get rid of me." Seriously! I believe that is how senior management trains their staff! They train them to be mean to the customers and make things so frustrating with hold time and delays. And then when the customer wants to return something the management tells the customer care agents to not refund the money otherwise they risk their jobs!

Horrible! I've learned from this to NEVER buy anything on a company's website unless they allow customers to review their products directly on their website. I wanted to post a review about this issue with the bed but the website doesn't allow it! Compare it to Crate and Barrel where there is complete transparency and the company stands by its product, allowing consumers to post directly for all to see. And get this, 11/8 I ordered a furniture set from Crate and Barrel. The delivery date has already been scheduled for 11/14.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

We ordered a custom Henry sectional in Shadow Velvet with an ottoman from the West End Bellevue store. You really just place your order online on a computer in the store just like you would at home. It was supposed to take 8 weeks but it took closer to 3 months. We loved it and decided it needed a second ottoman. I figured just 1 ottoman ordered online should come faster. Nope, still took about 3 months. Then I notice when I rearranged the seat cushions in the sectional that there were Pottery Barn labels under the seat cushions of the sectional. It took forever and really didn't seem so custom since it had the wrong store's labels. The item is not inexpensive.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

The absolute worst experience in customer service I ever had. Regret purchasing at West Elm. Should have ordered from Wayfair or even paid double elsewhere to have better service. 2 months later no table that I’ve paid for. Have wasted hours on phone, email to get updates. Every time it’s a different excuse (lie). It has to be illegal that we pay for items that are g delivered within 30 days.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I ordered two sofas from a West Elm store in the beginning of July. They were supposed to come in in the end of August but did not arrive till September. The clerk in the store ordered the wrong sofas and they were much too large. We were told the replacement sofas would be in by October. When I called in the end of October I was told the beginning of November. I have been calling for days and all of the sudden they transfer me to delivery which they say is where the sofas are. I was told by delivery after I was first hung up on she would need a second set of eyes but would get back to me.

I have been told people will get back to me every day. I just received an email with a new estimated delivery date and new reorder number for the end of January. Six months after I ordered the sofas I got on the phone with customer service again and he was the first honest person and told me they ordered the exact same sofa as the replacement. The store realized this today after I've been calling for a week and expedited a new order but nobody had the inclination to call me. You get no answers. When I requested my money back because of the situation I was also given the runaround so I'd have 2 over large sofas that fill my whole family room that I would never have ordered. Who knows if I'll ever get the right ones and I'm out almost $5,000. Frustrated.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Great looking stuff, terrible experience: We ordered an 87" dining table on October 7th. They said it would be delivered in between October 30th and November 6th. Today is November 7th and no one knows where the table is. They are saying it will take 8-12 weeks. I have 25 people coming for Thanksgiving and now it seems I will have no table - not from West Elm anyway. I have talked with four different customer service representatives and two different scheduling representatives. I have wasted more than 3 hours of my life listening to the terrible hold music as well. We are in the middle of furnishing an entire colonial home and we loved the stuff here. We will never buy again from West Elm or and try to avoid any of the companies owned by the parent William-Sonoma.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Merchandise not received. Amex dispute in process. - I paid for two end tables and a chest of drawers. The manager, John, promised me the items would be shipped together for half the usual shipping charge, despite the fact that only the chest of drawers was being sold with half price shipping. He was going to “handle” the consolidation. Instead, I was informed by the salesperson he turned me over to that the chest would instead be shipped to the store, and I would have to get it, and the end tables, delivered on my own. I think that’s called “bait and switch”. The sales lady said that if they didn’t hear from me, they would call to resolve the shipping. I never heard from them again. The two charges are being protested and WILL NOT BE PAID. Meanwhile, I will further publicize this abusive practice by West Elm.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Ordered 3 Smythe chairs via the "Furniture Specialist" named Sarah. Sarah assured me they have the chairs and I'll get them soon. Emailed a West Elm Associate later the same day: "My question about the Smythe Velvet Chair Item # **. I may have ordered the last 3 chairs this morning. I ordered them this morning with Sarah, the Furniture Specialist at West Elm. My confirmation number ends in **. Please let me know that I did get the last 3 chairs or will I get a call in 2 weeks saying "sorry, but we messed up..."?"

A West Elm associate answered: "Rest assured: If you were able to place the order through a Furniture Specialist this morning, the chairs are yours. I only have visibility to what's currently available online and, as I noted, availability can fluctuate based on location as well as store availability. There's no need to worry." I called back 6 days later, guess what folks? I'm told the chairs are no longer available!!! I will NEVER deal with West Elm again, they are liars. They'll say anything to get your money. Buyer beware of this scam company.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Ordered 2 chairs in August. Delivery was delayed 2 months. Called over and over again for updates. Finally receiver a delivery date this week, last Tuesday. They delivered 1 of 2 chairs and are unable to locate the second chair. They cannot reorder a chair as it is no longer available. Their solution was to refund me for 1 chair. I ordered 2 for a reason. I didn't want one. When I asked for a full refund for both they have since ignored me and avoided contact to offer a solution. This is fraudulent and the business practices of this company are appalling.

West Elm expert review by ConsumerAffairs

West Elm is a branch of Williams-Sonoma, Inc., that was founded in 2002. Ninety percent of their products are designed in-house from organic and sustainably sourced materials.

• Fair Trade Certified™: All of West Elm’s products are Fair Trade Certified™. Fair Trade is a movement that creates sustainable opportunities for workers through trade agreements. A percentage of product cost at West Elm is paid directly to a worker’s fund.

• West Elm LOCAL: The West Elm LOCAL program finds local workers and features their products in West Elm stores. This program builds local economies and grows small businesses.

• Design services: West Elm offers services like room planners, inspiration articles and consultations with stylists and designers. Costs for consultations can vary.

• West Elm blog: West Elm’s blog contains posts about company news, design trends, lifestyles and consumer profiles. The blog also contains links to guest features from publications like Architectural Digest and The Atlantic.

• Brand extensions: West Elm’s various branches include West Elm Workspace, West Elm Hotels and West Elm To the Trade. These groups focus on workspace products, hospitality products and trade deals for brands respectively.

• Best for: West Elm is best for businesses and consumers who want to support local workers and Fair Trade with their purchases.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs