1.87/5
Based on 112 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good furniture store?

138 West Elm Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 15, 2018

I ordered a dining table for our new house... they sent ONE email saying that I was going to get it on a certain date... that date came and went and NOTHING, no emails or any updates. I called and they told me that it was at the delivery company location and they would be calling me in 30 minutes to set up delivery... NOTHING. 2 days later I called again - this time I was told that they were super sorry and that everything was ready for them to deliver and would get a call in 15 hours to schedule delivery. NOTHING.

2 days after that I called AGAIN and now the person told me that they only had one of the items at the center and they needed the top piece to arrive, but that she was going to make sure that it's all moving forward. STILL NOTHING. Emailed her and she said that it's on the truck and will get a call. STILL NOTHING! And ZERO communication from West Elm. They haven't bothered to send any communication on the status of the item. TERRIBLE!!!

Original review: June 15, 2018

Extremely disappointed. I purchased a leather chair that I really love, unfortunately leather has a several stains and I immediately requested to replace this item. After a month (several conversations with West Elm representatives) new chair have arrived, but new item had even worse damage than a first one. I kept my first chair, but not happy with quality of the item and very unhappy with company.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I purchased a beautiful round dining table and loved the way it looked. Within 6 months we noticed that the paint/top layer started chipping. Around the one year mark I contacted customer service to inform them of the issue and we corresponded for weeks (a lot of waiting in between emails). I also sent pictures of the table, as requested. The final outcome was that the table was within manufacturers specifications and nothing could be done about it. I was so disappointed in the response and poor quality of the product. I don't have money to buy a new table, which now looks shoddy in my new home.

West Elm response

Hi T- I'm so sorry to hear that your table has chipped. I would like to chat with your about this and I have just sent you a private message with my contact information. Thank you! Susan

Original review: June 13, 2018

I'm so disappointed. I found a tower shelf I really wanted and found only West Elm had anything similar to it. I proceeded to place my order and found that they would not ship to Hawaii due to the size of the tower shelf. Lucky for me, there is a service called Shiptohawaii that I was able to have West Elm deliver my shelf to for delivering to Hawaii. I went to West Elm's site and gave shiptohawaii the box dimensions and weight and agreed to their ocean freight. I ordered through WestElm.com and received an email to contact them to schedule my delivery. I explained to them several times, that this was a warehouse where they ship to me in Hawaii since they would not ship directly.

The driver called me this morning to let me know he was a couple minutes away. The shiptohawaii warehouse then emailed me that the shelf came assembled and they are unable to send it to me in the condition that arrived. I called West Elm and was transferred to the Furniture Delivery Department. The CS agent there told me that I would have to return the item before they could send me one that was disassembled in the box. I looked at the website again later that day, and the description listed clearly states "assembly required." Now I'm on hold again for over 40 minutes trying to explain that the condition of the shelf is not what I ordered. I just need a boxed one sent to the address I listed and this assembled on picked back up. I don't understand why this is so hard for them to process as this is clearly their mistake.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I purchased the mini pebble jute rug over black Friday of 2017. I received it and after a month had to call and tell them it was falling apart. The loops kept coming up and getting stuck on your feet, it was shedding terrible, and there were loose ends popping out everywhere so every time I vacuumed it I had to trim it. I called and they said it must be a defected rug and picked up the old one and sent me a new one. This happened around Christmas 2018. They said if there were any other problems to call and they will take it back at any time. So I called the beginning of May and told them it keeps getting worse every month and that I am returning it because my new rug is falling apart more than the first rug shipped. They said they would schedule a pick up to get it and that my credit card would be credited. No one called me to schedule a pick up for 2 weeks.

I kept trying to call the furniture phone number they gave me and was waiting on hold forever. When I called West Elm, they said they cannot help me and to call the furniture dept. So when I finally got ahold of the furniture department they insisted they were picking up a coffee table and chairs, and would not listen to me that it was a rug. So then I had to wait forever to get a manager to discuss this with... Complete waste of my time and NO customer service. When the rug people were finally scheduled I called 3 times to confirm prior since my initial experience was terrible and they gave me 3 different time frames, a different one each time I called. The customer service is horrible.

Then the day they were supposed to pick it up, I called to see if they were coming to get it a half hour before my time window was up and I got transferred to a person who told me they couldn't help me, that they were in California. She said she cannot contact the driver to see if they are coming but the driver will be contacting me a half hour before arriving, that is their policy. No one called me, EVER. They showed up a hour late. When I asked the driver why he didn't call me a half hour before he turned around and walked away and said he wasn't taking the rug… So I called West Elm, got a manager, and threw the carpet out my front door for them to take. At least the West Elm person was helpful and horrified. Now the rug is gone so I just have to deal with getting the money credited back to my card which all the West Elm representatives say is easy and happens in 2 to 4 business days. WELL not easy.

The rug was picked up May 26th and I still have not been credited. Everyone I spoke to told me the amount was going back to my card. Now they are telling me that they are giving me a store credit. They supposedly are saying they cannot credit my card because there is a 30 day return policy. This all came up way after the fact, after they picked the rug up. So if you order West Elm merchandise that falls apart after 30 days you are stuck with a West Elm store credit. Really? Why would I ever order another thing from you? I have spent hours calling West Elm trying to get the rug picked up and my credit to go through. Not to mention I had to pay for movers to move the furniture on and off the rug 4 times.

Then when I called back and spoke to another representative because I was so furious she looked up my order and said they don't have an up to date credit card for me to credit back. She said your old card expired in December so just give me the new number and I will get it credited. This was 5 days ago. I call today and someone told me they denied the request because they already sent me the gift card. This is the worst experience I have ever had with a furniture company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about West Elm?

Original review: June 12, 2018

I have made several considerable purchases throughout the years from West Elm because I really like the products, but I recently placed an order in April of 2018 and it has been the worst experience with a company and their customer service. I have spoken to approximately 12 people in reference to my order and as of this date I have not received it because I was told by a representative that the company decided to make some changes and delay my delivery. I was even hung up on by a representative. This is outrageous and is the last time that I will be purchasing from this company. It is sad because there is no customer service culture. Really disappointed.

Original review: June 10, 2018

My wife purchased the West Elm Window Daybed a while ago and I just got around to putting it together. I was expecting very high quality given the price we paid for it. I was immediately struck by how easily the bolts stripped when installing with the included allen wrench. The bolts were not crossthreaded and the furniture was aligned as well as it could, since the parts were aligned with pseudo mortise and tenons; nevertheless, the second bolt I installed was completed stripped before I could finish installing it. I'd have to live with a slight gap between the end of the long metal front bar and one of the end pieces.

Next, I installed the back piece, which spanned the full length of the bed, and was again lined up with mortise and tenons. I was able to install the bolts on one side with no problem. When I got to the other side, I had the really force the thing together to stay square, and then it was a struggle to get the top bolt in. It should have been aligned already because of the mortise and tenon, but again, due to poor manufacturing, I had to struggle to get the bolt aligned with the threads. When I got to the bottom bolt on that side, I faced the same issue, but after a few minutes I managed to get the bolt into the threads and not cross threaded.

Before it was halfway installed, the bolt began to strip. At that point I decided to use a pretty common trick for installing or removing stripped screws and bolts: I grabbed my Dremel and cut a slot into the bolt head so that I could continue installing it with a screwdriver. The first turn of the screwdriver just tore out the remaining metal of the bolt head. In all my years of putting together furniture, I don't think I've ever encountered a company that used metal this soft. If someone told me that the bolts they used were made out of hard cheese, I'd believe them.

Anyway, the only way I was able to continue inserting the bolt was by grabbing the head with vise grips and turning it that way. I somehow managed to get it installed a little bit further without the head shearing off. Since I was actually gripping the head to turn it though, I could not install the bolt all the way into the recessed hole. Just another product defect I'll have to live with. Next, I got to installing the two triangular inside corner blocks to hold the bed square. The first went in with no problems. On the second one, the bolts couldn't reach the threads when they were inserted all the way into the corner blocks. I had to take out my Forstner bits and bore out the hole a little deeper.

With the frame finally assembled, I took the slats out of the box. Imagine my lack of surprise when the slats, fully spread out over the bed frame, could not reach all the way across. The way these are installed, you take the furthest slat on one end, run a bolt through one side of it into the frame, and then screw the other side of that slat into the other side of the bed. Then, you do the same on the last slat at the opposite side of the bed. The problem here is that slats simply don't reach that far. If I bolt and screw the first slat in through the predrilled holes, the last slat falls very short of the location it's supposed to go. There really isn't anything I can do to fix this other than cutting the webbing that connects the slats.

This is the point I reached when my wife got home and saw me in a fit of rage. I told her never to buy anything from West Elm again, and she told me to stop working on the bed before I put my fist through the wall. If this review can stop one person from buying a piece of furniture from West Elm, I feel like I will have some sort of redemption. For the price I paid for this furniture, I'm in complete disbelief at the poor quality of the fasteners, and nonexistent quality control.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: June 8, 2018

I ordered a number of items on May 1. I was moving and looking for a chair I could get quickly as well as a more comfortable chair that would take longer. Since I have no furniture for my new place this was important to have at least one chair to sit in. I also ordered a rug and a few other odds and ends. The rug, etc arrived within a few days and I received confirmation that my Luna chair was in the warehouse in Katy TX and would be delivered between June 1 and June 5. When I had not heard from anyone on June 5, I called and was on the phone for 45 minutes.

I was finally told by a woman named Diamond that I would be called to schedule the delivery in the next day. When no one called, l called back the next evening and spoke to Barbara who again told me that I would be called the next day to schedule delivery. Nothing happened except receiving an email asking me for feedback on Barbara so I complained that I had not been called by anyone as promised. These are all called to their furniture dept. I called tonight and was told that my call was being transferred to Jessica, a supervisor but oddly when Jessica got on the line she claimed that she could not hear me even though my call was connected to wifi and everyone else could hear me plus all my wifi was working.

She hung up and when I called back the woman who answered the phone could hear me until I told her that Jessica had hung up on me and then suddenly she couldn't hear me either. No response to my email, no call back as promised on any days. Now online the order status has changed to say that the item is in route to the warehouse - I have emails stating that it arrived already. Today, for the first time I was told that they couldn't "split" the order for 2 chairs even though the original order did not state that the chairs had to come together.

They are not only unreliable but also untruthful. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow I planned to raise a dispute with American Express for a complete refund for both chairs because I am no longer interested in doing business with West Elm. I have shopped there in the past as well as at Williams Sonoma Home, Pottery Barn and PB Teen and while I have noticed the steady decline in service, I have not had such poor service in the past. I decided not to order the other furniture items I planned to order this week due to the poor service.

West Elm response

Hi B - I'm so very sorry for the experience you have had with the chairs and thank you for bringing it to my attention. A private message has been sent with my contact information and I look forward to hearing back from you soon. - Katie

Original review: June 4, 2018

The reviews for this sofa, especially the ordering/delivery process overall, were so poor that we really hesitated to make this purchase. While I don't question the validity of the other reviews, I wanted to let everyone know that our experience to date has been excellent. I placed my order online two weeks ago (after first testing the sofa in the King of Prussia store - where service was also quite good and all my questions were answered), and our sofa was delivered today.

Appointment scheduling was easy (also online), I received an updated delivery window one working day ahead of delivery, and the delivery team called 30 min. before delivery to let me know they were on the way a little ahead of schedule. The sofa was delivered in excellent condition, the team moved it several times to make sure I was happy with the location, and cleaned/removed all packing materials. While I obviously can't yet speak to the durability/wear of the sofa yet, the ordering/delivery process has been excellent and the West Elm Hamilton Leather Sofa was delivered in excellent condition.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I love the idea that is West Elm. The coordination of the furniture with the accessories makes it easy to put together a room that reflects my personal style. West Elm is one of those stores you go in and you feel right at home with the great associates that really go out their way to help you achieve the look you sometimes can't describe in words. But West Elm needs to lower their shipping prices because the merchandise is really quality but when you add in the shipping it sometimes becomes cost prohibitive.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I purchased a set of their best highest count cotton sheets and received thin non cotton feeling sheets for a high price. I can get better quality and better feel at JCPenney for a cheaper price. I was sorely disappointed after all their hype to receive sheets that don’t feel like any cotton sheets I’ve ever felt. At the same time I purchased a faux fur throw for $80 + shipping (on sale) that is so thin and so badly made that it looks like a first timer sewed it together, and took 5 months to receive. I have seen much nicer faux throws that feel luxurious at other stores, but this one and the sheets went to the donation pile. The only thing I’m keeping is the overpriced European pillows that are for looks only and are covered by none West Elm pillow cases.

I tested West Elm with a couple purchases to see what their quality standards are and they have known. Lots of lovely looking products but it isn’t what you get. My son was looking at some items to purchase from here and thank goodness I purchased these items first and told him to look elsewhere. I don’t get around easily so shipping items back for a refund isn’t an option so they’ll go to charity. Whenever trying new online companies purchase small things first, before going all out, check their quality first. I’m out some money but it’s better than the thousands my son would have invested especially with their poor customer service.

West Elm response

Hi Anna, I'm so sorry to hear of your disappointment, and I would like to discuss this further. I have sent a private message with my details and look forward to hearing from you. Thank you! Ramona

Original review: June 2, 2018

West Elm is a great store. The options are great choices and selections that are of need to me and my family. I love their store with everything. GOOD AND I LOVE THE BRAND. ALSO, VERY SAFE AND GREAT FEELING. It’s an experience I would do again without any problem. But they are not very efficient with not so good quality and not well put together or organized. Could have been way better.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Their pieces are modern but still feminine and cozy. I like the name and the simplicity of it as well. You won't find the same stuff anywhere else. Feel like it's what Pier One used to be. The price tag is expensive though and they're also far, seeing as the ones I go to are in malls nearly 45 minutes to an hour away. But their stores don't feel cluttered and there's a running theme with all of their merchandise as well. I also do enjoy shopping on their website and I feel like there's even more on there than in store.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Experience was positive. The colors and styles are neutral and simple. Feel the customer service is quality with respect to delivery and ordering. The clean style of furniture and displays in the store: gives the shopper several options as to where furniture can be used. The general feel of the store is warm and friendly. The customer service and attention to customer is very good. The store can feel a little crowded though. There can be a lot of items displayed in a very small area at times too. It can be a little difficult to see and get to all items. The pricing could be more competitive or offer more sales. Would also like to see the square footage of the stores a little larger.

Original review: May 27, 2018

West Elm is convenient and not really expensive. They have many types of furniture that is very nice and organized. It was easy to find the type of furniture and design I wanted. I like how everything is neat and is clean. I also like the amount of furniture the store has and different designs. It was a great experience.

Original review: May 26, 2018

My experience was wonderful. The store has a different name which strikes curiosity and the location is close to where I live and right off a freeway frontage road so easily visible with ample parking. The store is well laid out with different sections for the different rooms of a home. I like the different styles and colors of each room with added items for either function or complementary purposes. The store is easy to navigate and one room flows nicely to the next. I also liked how easily items could be changed from everyday things to holiday decor by adding a few different decor touches. A store that gives many ideas for your imagination!

But it would be nice if there was more kitchen appliance suggestions to match decor items so it looks more pulled together when grouped. Also I did not think there was enough color and patterns, sizes and style of draperies and curtains. Some homes come unusual shaped windows or you might want the illusion of a larger window so you would require more width in window treatments, the same for length for home with very high ceilings you may want the room to appear as the windows are much longer to accommodate the high ceilings. I am aware that some changes can be arranged by custom ordering but that usually drives the price much higher than the more standard sizes. But all in, a very easy and nice place to visit.

Original review: May 25, 2018

West Elm believes in nothing but the best furniture for my home and my complete satisfaction. I always find the help and guidance I need to properly choose the furniture I need for my home. This brand offers only some of the highest quality furniture and accessories for the home and is very highly customer driven. But maybe they can make their products more affordable for the frugal decorator. But my overall experience with this brand remains to be highly impressive, because of the great and friendly employee knowledge of the brand's products.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I like the unique furniture that West Elm carries. They have a wide selection of products at great prices to choose from and I like that you can purchase online very easy. I like the fast shipping that they offer and the costs of shipping too. I have ordered many pieces here to go with my decor and it has spiced up my house a lot and brought everything together in the house nicely. I have gotten great compliments for my decor of the items I have purchased here. My overall experience with this store has been excellent and I love shopping here.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I ordered a number of things: sofa, kitchen table, tv console, coffee table. The kitchen table was back ordered and the console was taking some time to prepare, but the sofa and other materials were ready to be delivered right away. The problem? None of the furniture items are still here, after 20 days of ordering furniture. So one week ago, I thought it was weird that West Elm wasn't contacting me about orders so I called them. They directed me to the furniture delivery department, which told me that they will put in a request to deliver the sofa and coffee table earlier. They said a furniture guy would contact me within 24-48 hours.

45 hours later, I figured no one was going to call me, so I called customer service again. This person directed me to the furniture delivery department. It put me on hold for 30 minutes, and proceeded to hang up. I called again. Put on hold for 20 minutes, got to talk for 10 seconds, then the phone hung up. I called again, and this time, the furniture department received. I asked why the furniture wasn't coming, and she said that it was their policy to send all items at one-go, unless the consumer contacts them first to separately send them; I asked them why they wouldn't tell me this before-hand, no answer.

I tell them then send me the sofa first -- they say, "Well the console table is arriving in the warehouse in about a week, that's too short, so I don't think the department in charge of logistics will approve that." I tell them, "Well, I put in the request two days ago as well, and the delivery is likely going to be delayed 1.5-2.5 weeks, how is that 'too short'?" She disagrees with me. I ask her to give me a direct line to the logistics department. She refuses -- it's apparently impossible for me to talk to them.

I told her I put in the request 2 days ago as well, and asked her why they didnt contact me when they promised me to contact me in 24-48 hours. She replied "well it's not 48 hours yet, is it?" I am dumbfounded. I ask her "seriously, so they would've contacted me in the next hour or so, is that it?" She says "maybe." So I tell her to put in the request again. She doubts it will be approved. I ask her to please call me even if it isn't approved to give me an update. She says okay. This time, 24-48 hours passed. I still don't know, and have no idea when my furniture is going to arrive.

Every single customer service member, regardless of the department, was terrible and rude. They never gave me an apology for the miscommunication or non-communication, it was all about policy this, policy that. Well go shove your policy up your **. I asked her then hypothetically, if 10 items were ready to deliver, and 1 item was going to come in your warehouse 1 year later, are you going to wait for a year for delivery, unless I contact you first? You aren't going to contact me? She said yes to that. Jesus Christ. I heard all furniture stores were terrible, and I used CB2, Crate and Barrel and West Elm, but West Elm Customer Service has to be the worst among the 3 (or 2, since CB2 and C&B are the same pretty much). Also, just separate your orders and call them first because this stupid place apparently wont call you first. Don't use em.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I purchased a Industrial Modular Bookcase to put next to my Industrial Storage Mini Desk. Both of these are in the same design line, and are supposed to be modular. The heights of both of these are advertised at 30". Unfortunately, this is all just false advertising. The height of the bookcase is at least 1" shorter, and looks horrible next to my desk. I know these things happen, and they have little control of manufacturing defects from outsourced places... but it's the way they handled this that really frustrated me. I contact their customer service with all the pictures and receipts. They basically told me to go to the hardware store and see if I can get the correct height legs for my bookcase. Completely crazy to think that hardware stores would have the legs of furniture West Elm designed and manufactured in India. I will be returning it. Never, ever again.

West Elm response

Hi Shahriar-I'm so sorry to hear this and I would like to discuss this further. I have sent a private message with my details and look forward to hearing from you. Thank you! Susan

Original review: May 20, 2018

West Elm is a mid century furniture at affordable prices. Location close to my condominium. Store has nice decor and staff generally friendly. However, I've had difficulty with online orders being lost resulting in delay of delivery. I had to reorder an item and ultimately took almost 2 months to receive it. In person visits at furniture store have been fine. But they could use more staff for consultation which would decrease wait time.

Original review: May 9, 2018

The furniture item was well made & stylish but the options to review was too cluttered & not user friendly. I wasn't as happy as I thought I would be. They should offer more items at clearance, more sales, a loyalty program would be nice. But I liked the furniture item very much, service was good, exactly what I expected but I think the prices they charge is too much. I could probably get something comparable elsewhere. I probably wouldn't waste my money there in the future.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I ordered a dresser from West Elm. It came on May 02, 2017. And it was defective the day it arrived. The company's customer service cannot call to schedule a repair in 10 days. Just scheduling, not actually coming into your home to fix it. And they said appointments are at least 2 weeks out. Which means that you will pay money up front, wait for 2 weeks for it to be delivered. And then wait for another 24 days for someone to come into your home to fix it. In order to return it, I was transferred back and forth between the Service Delivery Team and the Furniture department. And each transfer, you need to repeat "why you are calling." My first call was at 11:09 am. Now... more than 1 hour and 20 minutes later, I was able to schedule a return.

Their customer service is the worst that I have seen from any furniture company. Yes, Wayfair was able to issue refund the same day if it's defective. West Elm wants to wait for another week or so to refund. And they say "we do this to every customer." It's time we say no. Don't be fooled by their pretty Instagram account. Like everything else on Instagram, it's fake. I will try to submit a complaint with the consumer protection agency. This will not end here.

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time out to share your experience, I'm truly sorry to hear it's be a poor one. I'd like to help you get this resolved. I've sent you a private message with my contact information, so I can assist.

Warm Regards,
    Sharla-

Pottery Barn Social Media Team

Original review: May 8, 2018

First of all, I do NOT recommend anyone try to order anything online from them, or even buying any furniture from them, if you have not seen it in your local store on display, or you don't have a cc that give you a price match guarantee, or both of the above. I was so excited to find the "Dorian" sofa when I was browsing through the internet, went to the store, didn't find it there. The sales person informed me that if I would like to see it in person, they could have it shipped to the store for display, but the shipping is on me. Yup, you heard it. And their shipping for furniture? Starts at $199 and for items over $199 is $299 (tax counts too! you're looking at a piece of furniture that's $999? Sorry, tax will make you pay $299 shipping instead). That's INSANE compared to other furniture companies.

But, me being a sucker for their fabulous design, I thought OK I’ll just buy it online. Because for a reputable company, I trusted their pictures to be taken professionally, that should display the item close to how it is suppose to look in real life. NOPE! Upon receiving the sofa, the color is completely off. It showed a beige/off white color online, and the real thing is a mouse gray. It doesn't go well with my home's color scheme. If the color was represented correctly on the pictures, I would not have made a purchase. And there's more to come, they dropped the price from $999 to $799 within 7 days I purchased, when the sofa was still on the truck. I called customer service for a price adjustment. Guess what? Nope they don't do price adjustments, all they'll offer is a GC in the value of price difference, not getting your extra tax or extra shipping back. And since this is a "Final Sale" item, they won't cancel it either.

They try to lure you into purchase by putting up heavily tuned images that looks perfect online, but you have nowhere to go even if the item is not as described. And you know what? As of today, 3 weeks from purchase, the price of the sofa has dropped another 20%. (Heck did I buy a defective item? Why are they trying to desperately to get rid of that sofa?) But of course, they will just tell you to suck it up because it's their company policy. Customer service was a nightmare as well. They don't have an assigned person to follow through your case, every time you email them, you get a different person answering your email. You get someone on the first email saying one thing, and then on the second one they'll just revoke it. If you're a person with lots of money to shell out, or have patience of a saint, go head and purchase from them, if not, I would recommend staying away.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I ordered several things. They hold up nicely and were customized with monograms. The furniture is easy to assemble, lightweight without being cheaply made. They work well for what they were made for. It was good and I love the quality and design of the furniture. I ordered online and the shipping was fast and packaged well. Love the catalog has new things in it each time. It’s young and fresh and trendy for young people. Unique furniture I can’t find in other stores. I like styles are modern and useful ideas for functionality and organization. Looked other places for similar stuff but couldn’t find. Would recommend West Elm to a friend or family member. I especially like the organizational functional things and would love to see more of that. The color selection and patterns available in each product. Also, the prices are a bit higher than I’d like to pay for certain things.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I liked that there were different styles and colors available in the different pieces of furniture. I like to mix and match and shopping here made it very easy to do so. But I would prefer to be able to have more helpful and knowledgeable store workers. I like to find what I am looking for without hassle or attitudes from store workers. And I don’t like to deal with peoples attitudes, it changes my shopping experience and most like will not continue to patronize them if I run into those kinds of issues. But my overall experience was okay.

Original review: May 5, 2018

Love how authentic the store feels. It felt much more like a smaller mom and pop store that you felt good about purchasing items from more so than a typical mainstream store that more people shop at. Also, quality merchandise that is much more handcrafted than what you would see at a more mainstream furniture store. It was a fun experience. But I wish there was a larger inventory. Have had instances where I was looking for something in particular and it was out of stock at the moment.

Original review: May 4, 2018

We’ve been waiting for bedding since March. It’s been on backorder for the 4th time since purchasing online (even though it said available). I’m a designer shopping for a client on a design deadline & I will NEVER purchase anything again online. When contacting customer service, on the phone she could care less & basically blamed it on the warehouse.

West Elm response

Hi Marianna: I'm very sorry you have not received your bedding by now and understand your disappointment. A private message has been sent with the delivery information and I look forward to hearing back from you soon. - Katie

Original review: May 4, 2018

My overall experience was great. The store suits personal style as well as style of home. Sales associates are very attentive, helpful and knowledgeable. On the occasion I was there to make a large purchase of several statement pieces for my home, it helped me to feel less overwhelmed. But they can be a bit imposing. Depending on the mood you're in or the occasion you're shopping for, that can be a negative or a positive thing!

I like how the furniture is situated and presented in actual settings and displays as they could be in your own home. I like how it's coordinated, and the store is well-lit and inviting. However it can feel quite cluttered despite being a very large space. It's hard to feel like you've really looked at everything without spending several hours browsing.

Original review: April 29, 2018

West Elm has a variety of items for lots of rooms to look at, they also have addition items such as lamps, fun to shop, can stay there for a long time just browsing lots of knick knacks etc to give you an idea of the what the full room can look like. I liked the options and all the items in the store, it had a new smell and keep me interested. Have a fun time browsing and looking at room ideas, there is a lot to look at, can spend a long time dreaming about new decorations and new room ideas. It was a great experience and one I'd do again when I needed to purchase more things.

West Elm expert review by ConsumerAffairs

West Elm is a branch of Williams-Sonoma, Inc., that was founded in 2002. Ninety percent of their products are designed in-house from organic and sustainably sourced materials.

• Fair Trade Certified™: All of West Elm’s products are Fair Trade Certified™. Fair Trade is a movement that creates sustainable opportunities for workers through trade agreements. A percentage of product cost at West Elm is paid directly to a worker’s fund.

• West Elm LOCAL: The West Elm LOCAL program finds local workers and features their products in West Elm stores. This program builds local economies and grows small businesses.

• Design services: West Elm offers services like room planners, inspiration articles and consultations with stylists and designers. Costs for consultations can vary.

• West Elm blog: West Elm’s blog contains posts about company news, design trends, lifestyles and consumer profiles. The blog also contains links to guest features from publications like Architectural Digest and The Atlantic.

• Brand extensions: West Elm’s various branches include West Elm Workspace, West Elm Hotels and West Elm To the Trade. These groups focus on workspace products, hospitality products and trade deals for brands respectively.

• Best for: West Elm is best for businesses and consumers who want to support local workers and Fair Trade with their purchases.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs