2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.26/5

Looking for a new piece of furniture?

Shop for your home on Overstock

Visit Website

Looking for a new piece of furniture?

Shop for your home on Overstock

Visit Website

West Elm Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about West Elm?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about West Elm?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

Shopped around a long time for an attractive, comfortable, and reasonably priced settee that was made in America, and was thrilled to come across West Elm! Everything out there seems to either be made in China, or super expensive. My Bradford sofa is assembled and hand upholstered in the US, and you can select from many colors (I chose Cayenne and it is BEAUTIFUL). Since it is hand upholstered it took several months to receive, but actually arrived a little earlier than the promised date. It appears to be high quality, is very comfortable (fairly firm), and very stylish.

I also ordered the Sebastian chair in Dark Horseradish. It was on closeout so was very reasonable. Although it is imported it still seems very good quality, is comfortable, and is also very stylish and pretty. Apart from a little hold up with my chair not coming on time (I called and they fixed it immediately), I am very satisfied with my West Elm experience and would shop here again for sure and would certainly recommend them. *I would give a 4.9 rating if I could, just because of the delay with the chair.

West Elm response

Hi Louise, Thank you for your kind words! We really appreciate hearing from you and will pass your feedback along. You are truly a valued customer! West Elm

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I was expecting the worst after reading all the terrible reviews of West Elm - particularly with regards to delivery and customer service. My experience was good - I got what I ordered (a media console that was on sale), in perfect shape, when West Elm initially said they would deliver. In addition, I was able to cancel an order that was revealed to be out of stock (after I ordered) and had a delivery time several months away. The West Elm phone rep was courteous, responsive and refunded my money for that purchase. All in all, a good experience. The only reason for 4 rather than 5 stars is a) because it was lame to order something only to find out it wasn't in stock, and b) if I wrote a 5 star review, people would think it was phony! Really it should be 4.75. Maybe West Elm is getting their act together, but for me it was a good experience.

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I bought a small townhome after my home burnt down, so I needed to buy all furniture. I couldn’t figure out how to make my downstairs a living and dining area without feeling crowded. I went to West Elm and the designer designed my area on her computer. The delivery was on time and clean and careful and when they brought in my buffet and it felt crowded, I just asked them to please take it back. Then, if you have their credit card, you get a lot of money back in rewards. They are my favorite company!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I would give it a zero star if I could. I have placed my order on July and it was supposed to be delivered mid-September. After waiting months, I received an email about one more month of delay. If you think this is the frustrating part, you are wrong. I contacted customer service to ask about status. They said it is going to be delivered in 3-5 days (big lie), yet I received an email next day informing of another delay. They don't accept any responsibility and it has been the worst online purchase experience ever.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

I unfortunately cannot recommend ordering custom furniture from West Elm. After taking the time to visit a store in Boston to find our perfect couch, my fiancé and I ordered the Harris section in ink blue distressed velvet in early August to be delivered to our new home in Ann Arbor. The staff member we worked with was fantastic and we couldn't wait to have our new couch delivered in 7-9 weeks.

A week ahead of our delivery window, I called the store to see if the order was still set to ship in the estimated time frame and the employee on the phone mentioned that my order was for the urban sectional in olive distressed velvet (which is the incorrect model and fabric for my order). It turns out, the reference number for my order was given to another customer so their order was assigned to me. The sectional my fiancé and I spent an hour picking out was never made. So, my only option was to cancel the order and either order the couch again (hoping that this error didn't happen a second time) or go elsewhere. Not trusting a mistake to happen again, I wanted to cancel my order and move on. This was a week ago, and I have still yet to be contacted by the West Elm customer service team to process my refund.

I've called the poor store employee who sold us our sectional several times and she keeps escalating the issue, but I've had no success yet. I find it strange that storefront employees have to repeatedly reach out to corporate for an issue that seems so straightforward. I'm a bit frustrated that I've not only lost 7 weeks of waiting in my new house for a sectional that was never made, but now I have to keep calling to get a refund for an error that I was told was West Elm's fault.

This has been such a negative experience that I will never shop at West Elm again. I'm kicking myself for not hopping online to see the horrific reviews that pre-dated mine. I could have saved myself 7 weeks of waiting and the ongoing saga of trying to get a refund for a sectional I'm never going to receive. I only have kind things to say about the staff in the store I visited, but unfortunately, good customer service when you're placing an order doesn't make up for the fact that our order was incorrectly placed and we're struggling to get a refund.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

I have ordered four items on September 7. The latest piece of my item was supposed to get delivered at the beginning of October; however, except one item nothing has delivered so far and have haven't received any update on my three items. I have called total 8 times to the customer service and I have been transferred from one department to another then the phone got disconnected without giving any exact date for my delivery or a satisfactory reply. Today, I called again and one of the associate hung up on me. This is truly disappointing and the worst experience from such a big brand.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

We are first time homeowners and are in the process of furnishing our entire house. I placed an order in early September for a bed, dining table and a large area rug. The furniture pieces had delivery estimates of mid-September to early October while the rug had an ETA of early January. While not ideal the rug is less essential and we understand that all retailers are experiencing some shipping delays. However, it was not made clear to me when I placed the order in store that my in stock items would not be delivered until my rug was available. We now have no bed to sleep in and no table to eat at even though the items as of today are both at the delivery center. Also, West Elm has charged my credit card for almost the full amount of my order even though they are stating that they do not plan to ship until 2021!

While the pandemic has caused a lot of different issues, we have placed many home furnishing orders over the past few months from multiple retailers and I have not had anyone including sister companies of West Elm hold in stock items for months on end because one item is not yet available. I have also been asked to make a deposit for some items, but I have not had any retailers charge me in full for items that they are not actively in the process of delivering to me. Although it may be reasonable to ask customers to wait a few days or a couple weeks for an order to be delivered in it's entirety, it is unfair and unreasonable to ask people to wait 4 months for items you have available and are essentially holding in storage. Also, you are charging me and expecting me to pay for the items now although I won't receive them or be able to use them for months after I have to pay for them.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

Ordered a media console 07/24/20. Est. arrival date 08/27. Called 09/01 when not received. Discovered lost. Found 09/05 despite no follow up from management which I was reassured I would receive. Next available delivery date provided of 09/17. On that day it arrived completely and utterly irreparably broken. Refund 'submitted' 09/17 in the full amount to my credit card (confirmed correct credit card number on file). Follow up 09/21 to find a merchandise card was issued instead but reassured it would be fully refunded to the aforementioned credit card. Call on 09/28 to reassure myself that a refund would be coming, was told by next day at the latest. By 09/30 it was not received and called customer service again.

On this date, learned no refund had been issued but merchandise card had been voided (aka no refund submitted). Assured that would be submitted immediately. Requested to escalate to supervisor. Supervisor refused to send an email confirmation for my refund, that was my only request so I would have something in writing. It seems like they are refusing to refund me for a product I did not receive. Receiving payment for an item not provided is FRAUD. I am currently working with my credit card company to receive a refund (it is now October). I have also submitted an official complaint with BBB as this company keeps reassuring me the refund will 'be there tomorrow.'

Every time a speak to a new associate they look at my order number to find that the refund was not ever requested but tell me they received the okay from their supervisor to issue one today aka no refund was ever previously submitted. I am still awaiting my full refund in the amount of $1127.67 for a product never received and an order placed in July, it is now October.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

We bought a set of dishes in late 2018 and didn't really think to check on the warranty policy. However, by the middle of 2019 all of the dishes had chipped sides, either from the dishwasher or from normal wear moving them into and out of the cupboard. By the end of 2019, two of the plates had cracks all the way through them. In our 50+ years, we have probably had two other dishes that chipped or cracked like this, so we are not hard users or abusers of our dishes.

Of course we were chagrined to learn that the West Elm warranty only extended 30 days, which is ridiculous for product quality issues that are not visible until you use the items for a period of time. After 3 email exchanges, West Elm offered a measly 15% credit, which is unusable since the closest store is now over an hour away--because the local store failed. I encourage you all to boycott West Elm, especially for dishes and housewares.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

I ordered the Harris Tweed couch from West Elm in end of July this year. I cannot write a review of the product itself because I have yet to receive the sofa two months later. I am writing about the poor customer service I've received trying to locate my couch and set up a delivery time. I have called three times over the past week to West Elm customer service and I have been hung up on, ignored or told they would call me back and then no one has. The vibe I have gotten from their customer service reps is that they could care less about me as a customer now that they've charged my credit card and they have refused to offer any sort of courtesy discount or refund of the delivery fee, blaming outside companies they use for delays.

I had spoken at the time of ordering with the sales rep and the manager that I did need the couch by September 30th as I'll be having elderly relatives staying with me and they guaranteed it would be delivered between September 16-30. It is now the end of the month and I have been told now that I won't be receiving my sofa until mid to end of October, three months after I had ordered it. My husband also spoke with the manager, who was incredibly rude and unhelpful. We had been planning on furnishing our townhome with West Elm furniture but after this poor experience, we will not be purchasing any West Elm products in the future. I have ordered from Crate and Barrel and Milano's this past summer and have had no issues in terms of delayed delivery times and their staff have been nothing but kind and courteous. I would recommend them instead to any potential West Elm customers going forward.

West Elm author review by ConsumerAffairs

West Elm is a branch of Williams-Sonoma, Inc., that was founded in 2002. Ninety percent of their products are designed in-house from organic and sustainably sourced materials.

• Fair Trade Certified™: All of West Elm’s products are Fair Trade Certified™. Fair Trade is a movement that creates sustainable opportunities for workers through trade agreements. A percentage of product cost at West Elm is paid directly to a worker’s fund.

• West Elm LOCAL: The West Elm LOCAL program finds local workers and features their products in West Elm stores. This program builds local economies and grows small businesses.

• Design services: West Elm offers services like room planners, inspiration articles and consultations with stylists and designers. Costs for consultations can vary.

• West Elm blog: West Elm’s blog contains posts about company news, design trends, lifestyles and consumer profiles. The blog also contains links to guest features from publications like Architectural Digest and The Atlantic.

• Brand extensions: West Elm’s various branches include West Elm Workspace, West Elm Hotels and West Elm To the Trade. These groups focus on workspace products, hospitality products and trade deals for brands respectively.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team