2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.29/5

West Elm Reviews

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

Shopped around a long time for an attractive, comfortable, and reasonably priced settee that was made in America, and was thrilled to come across West Elm! Everything out there seems to either be made in China, or super expensive. My Bradford sofa is assembled and hand upholstered in the US, and you can select from many colors (I chose Cayenne and it is BEAUTIFUL). Since it is hand upholstered it took several months to receive, but actually arrived a little earlier than the promised date. It appears to be high quality, is very comfortable (fairly firm), and very stylish.

I also ordered the Sebastian chair in Dark Horseradish. It was on closeout so was very reasonable. Although it is imported it still seems very good quality, is comfortable, and is also very stylish and pretty. Apart from a little hold up with my chair not coming on time (I called and they fixed it immediately), I am very satisfied with my West Elm experience and would shop here again for sure and would certainly recommend them. *I would give a 4.9 rating if I could, just because of the delay with the chair.

West Elm response

Hi Louise, Thank you for your kind words! We really appreciate hearing from you and will pass your feedback along. You are truly a valued customer! West Elm

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I was expecting the worst after reading all the terrible reviews of West Elm - particularly with regards to delivery and customer service. My experience was good - I got what I ordered (a media console that was on sale), in perfect shape, when West Elm initially said they would deliver. In addition, I was able to cancel an order that was revealed to be out of stock (after I ordered) and had a delivery time several months away. The West Elm phone rep was courteous, responsive and refunded my money for that purchase. All in all, a good experience. The only reason for 4 rather than 5 stars is a) because it was lame to order something only to find out it wasn't in stock, and b) if I wrote a 5 star review, people would think it was phony! Really it should be 4.75. Maybe West Elm is getting their act together, but for me it was a good experience.

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I bought a small townhome after my home burnt down, so I needed to buy all furniture. I couldn’t figure out how to make my downstairs a living and dining area without feeling crowded. I went to West Elm and the designer designed my area on her computer. The delivery was on time and clean and careful and when they brought in my buffet and it felt crowded, I just asked them to please take it back. Then, if you have their credit card, you get a lot of money back in rewards. They are my favorite company!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: May 22, 2020

I bought the organic cotton Geo duvet in king sized. I was looking for a simple white duvet, and this one looked gorgeous on the website. While the website does not have reviews, it was recommended in a New York Magazine article so I thought that it would be good. I received the duvet and was instantly disappointed. While the top of the duvet is thick and nice, the underside definitely has a lower thread count, is cheap feeling, and VERY thin. I kept it because I didn't want to deal with the hassle of returning it and the top part definitely looks nice. Now I have the reoccurring problem of weird yellow/tan stains showing up after every time I wash it.

I have never had this happen with my bedding before, and have always had white duvets and sheets. I am washing according to instructions. These weird tanish/yellowish stains just show up in random spots of the duvet after every wash. My friend, who is a tailor, informed me that this can happen when the materials are cheap and/or cheaply processed in order to make them white. Do NOT spend your money on this. After this experience, I am very suspicious of buying anything from West Elm again. It is also ridiculous that they do not allow product reviews on their website. I am sure I would have been led away from buying this if they did.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: May 20, 2020

My experience with West Elm has been a very frustrating one. I ordered a modular Harmony on March 21st which is nowhere close to being delivered. In fact, the tracking says it's been “in transit" since April 24th. Today is May 20th and that status has not changed. I’ve called customer support multiple times (each averaging an hour long) only to be told what I've already known since April: “it’s in transit”. Sadly, no one from West Elm seems to know exactly where my items are.

Each interaction with a customer support representative yields a new story: one person says it’s still in transit; another says it’s arrived at a distribution center and waiting to be unloaded; another says the distribution center opens May 12th; another says the distribution center is still closed. The most ridiculous was a supervisor who told me the governor is prohibiting furniture home deliveries due to COVID... But, my dining table from CB2 was delivered the day before that phone call. When I pointed that out, he immediately changed his story to...wait for it...the order being in transit.

I understand there may be delays due to COVID, but there has to be a level of communication to make the customer understand the situation and not feel forgotten. It's the least they can do as they certainly had no delays charging me $6544 in March and early April for this order and another that I also have not received. I am seriously considering disputing these charges with my credit card company as the refund process seems equally frustrating per previous reviews.

Although I never wanted to be a Karen, I've turned to twitter to get some sort of reply. West Elm is seemingly responsive and asks you to email their "ELEVATED" support team and assures you that they "will be in touch". Excited at the prospect of finally receiving some resolution, I email their "elevated support". I receive a response via DM saying that they are "working on this" but to be patient as I am within my estimated delivery window of 5/14-5/28. Again, I am cognitively capable enough to read this on the tracking page. The issue lies in the fact that this is my THIRD delivery window. Two delivery windows have come and gone in the past with absolutely no explanation or update. I'm afraid this will continue if I don't take action. I respond to support explaining my concerns.

I get an email back from Amy saying that her colleague, Deborah, who was helping me, will be out of the office until June 2nd but rest assured they "are still working on my behalf". So I respond to Amy of my concerns. No response. I send another email to Amy. This time, Susan responds. Susan says her colleague, Amy, is now out of the office. First Deborah, now Amy, who's next? Susan? Glad to know I'm being bounced around. Susan says she can see that my order is...wait for it...in transit. When West Elm assured me that they "are still working on my behalf" despite all my support representatives being out of office, I expected more than someone repeating the tracking information I can read myself. I've come to learn that although West Elm responds quickly on twitter asking you to email support, there is no response or resolution when you do. It seems like it's just an act to portray a positive public image.

Currently, I am back at square one. I've emailed Susan back and am waiting for some sort of update. It's already been 2 MONTHS since I've placed my order and no end in sight. I wonder how much longer I will have to wait? Usually when you pay for something, you're supposed to receive something. I forget what it's called when you don't receive what you paid for...oh right... a scam!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about West Elm?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: May 18, 2020

I purchased a framed print from West Elm. My order took about 2 months to receive. When I did receive the print it was severely damaged! The frame had multiple gouges. I immediately contacted their customer service and per their request I e-mailed them photos of the damage. They then sent me a replacement. After an additional 2 month wait, I received another damaged print. The replacement print was bubbled and again had multiple gouges in the frame. I again called customer service. After waiting on hold for over an hour, the representative said she would issue me a refund of $318.16. She then asked me to hold while she processed my refund and about 20 minutes later the phone hung up. Ugh! I again called West Elm after waiting for another 30 minutes.

I explained to the customer service representative that I had previously called and was being issued a refund and the phone call disconnected. She then said she did not see any previous notes from the representative and asked if they could send me a replacement. She then said my refund would take 6-8 weeks to receive. She then said she would e-mail me a return label and that I would have to go to the UPS Store to return the print. I explained to her that my printer is broke and that we are in quarantine in Washington State and I am high risk. I asked her if she could mail me a return label or have the UPS driver bring one.

She then said if I was not able to bring the print to a UPS store within their two week return window I would have to call back and at that time they would again e-mail me another label in order to restart their 2 week return window. I again explained to her that Washington State state has a stay at home order and I would be unable to return it within the next two weeks. She then said "well then call back and once we receive your return we will issue a refund in the amount of $318.16 about 6-8 weeks after we receive your return". Is this how you treat your customers West Elm?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: May 12, 2020

I ordered a bed from West Elm on April 19. The details online said that it was "In Stock and Ready to Ship" for my zip code. I called customer service before placing the order to confirm that despite everything that is going on right now they would deliver my item. The customer service rep confirmed, and so I placed my order and they promptly charged my card. The estimated delivery window given was April 27-May 11. May 11 has come and gone, and my order status on the website is "Awaiting Other Items in Order" and the new delivery window is May 19-June 2.

After being put on hold for 45 mins to talk to a customer service rep, I was informed that the "hub" where my delivery is supposed to come from is closed, and was given information such as "it may open in a couple days, or a couple weeks". I tried to get answers to reasonable questions such as "why are you still accepting orders then?" and I was repeatedly met with the unhelpful response "it is just that the hub is closed". Also, the rep admitted that there were never any other items that they were awaiting, they just put the order in that state so that they don't have to give an update on the delivery status. They should either *stop* accepting orders or be more *honest* about the state of deliveries. They should at least refund the delivery fee. Who knows if I'll ever get this bed...

Original review: May 7, 2020

UPDATED 5/11/2020: Grab a snack, you might be here awhile reading this one... I'm going to start by saying, what a pathetic company. Top 5 worst companies I have ever dealt with. And now I know why they won't let customers write reviews on their website as it would be detrimental for them. We ordered a dining room table and we were told we would be contacted within 14 days. Well after 14 days WE contacted THEM asking what was up. They seemed super confused as to what was going on and I was put on hold several times just to be told "You should be contacted within the next day by the delivery company, it's been sitting in their warehouse in your city."

Three days later... radio silence. Not a word from anyone. So yet again, I sit on the phone for an hour for someone to pick up and tell me the same thing, "It's in the warehouse and they should have called you by now." So she gives me their number and tells me "if they don't call within 24 hours, you call them." Call my crazy, but why aren't they calling the delivery company?

So I call the delivery company/warehouse, and the guy tells me it has not come yet and he has no clue what I am talking about. Wonderful! So I get on the phone with West Elm a third time because I apparently have nothing better to do.?! I sound like a broken record but she tells me it should be there. I tell her it's very much not. So she says she can't really do anything about it so she contacted some other department and you guessed it, I will be contacted in the next day or two. I told her how many times I have been told "you'll be contacted" and I haven't been, she didn't really care nor she didn't want to provide me with a contact just in case I was the one doing the contacting, again.

I have full confidence that West Elm will not be contacting me based on their horrible track record. I will never ever shop here again and I do not recommend anyone to purchase large furniture from West Elm. If you are looking for great furniture stores, some that I have had great experience with are: Crate & Barrel / CB2 / Room & Board, WayFair, Overstock, Target, and Pottery Barn (even though they are affiliated with West Elm they are ok.)

ORIGINAL REVIEW: Every time I go into West Elm, or look on their website, I love what I see. I've always been really skeptical to order anything or buy anything from them because of the very mixed reviews. I ended up ordering a dining room table and 2 house plants. I have no idea when the table or plant is coming; the 1 plant has been delivered however. We were told that we would be notified when our table is coming and we have still yet to hear from West Elm.

I ordered the 'Dried Linum' plant, and what came in the mail certainly is not what was pictured on their website. Mind you the way they packaged it also damaged the product as well. The box was too short so they had to fold the long branches down and they cannot be fixed now. Also, the photo of the 'Dried Linum' online is way fuller than what comes in the mail. It is really disappointing because West Elm's prices do not meet the quality of their product at all especially, in this situation. I wouldn't recommend West Elm and I will shop at other home decor stores instead.

West Elm response

Hello Kendra,

Thank you for reaching out. I am sorry to hear how the Dried Linum plant was packaged and we would like to speak with you about it. We would also would like to provide you with an update on your Dinning Table. At your convenience please email us at support@westelm.com with your order details and we will be in touch.

Kindest Regards,
      Susan

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: May 5, 2020

I ordered $600+ worth of bedding (linen sheet set, velvet quilt & pillowcases, and down comforter), and it was all extremely subpar. Here’s a big red flag: when a company doesn’t allow/post reviews of their products, it’s not a good sign. I wish I’d had more sense, before ordering. I washed the sheets & destroyed the packing for the velvet comforter, so I can’t send those back. The down comforter was repacked immediately. I will never shop West Elm again.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: May 3, 2020

We ordered the Harris Loft Sofa from West Elm in January. Because we wanted a special fabric, the delivery was scheduled for early March. Believing that west elm is a renown and well reputed company that delivers on time, and believing in the tracking status which still said early March, we already got rid of our old sofa to make room for the new one. By mid-March we still had not heard anything from west elm - not even a message that the delivery was delayed. I called them and was told that the delivery was now delayed until early April. In the meanwhile I had to get alternative furniture (at a cost) to make my family not sit on the floor. Then in April, I receive a message that the order is again delayed. Our sofa finally arrived in late April (>3 months after ordering it and 2 months after the original delivery date) - BUT with the wrong legs and in very cheap quality. The finishing is very badly done:

(i) The seat cushion is smaller than the sofa frame and hence there is a large gap between the cushion and the armrest (which is even larger when one sits on it).

(ii) The seat cushion is too soft, showing that they are trying to save material. Since we like firmer seating, we went to the store to get their advice and to test the sofa. What we got now is saggy and far too soft, making us wonder how this should ever endure more than a few months until one sits on the frame.

(iii) The seating area is tilted towards the back, meaning one sits deeper in the back of the sofa and not straight. This might be comfy for a while but is not supporting a healthy posture, and it sucks when one wants to lay down for a nap on it. Overall, we are super disappointed with our purchase and wish we had chosen another store - even IKEA makes better quality furniture. For the price we paid for this small sofa one expects something of higher quality and sooner delivery!

West Elm author review by ConsumerAffairs

West Elm is a branch of Williams-Sonoma, Inc., that was founded in 2002. Ninety percent of their products are designed in-house from organic and sustainably sourced materials.

• Fair Trade Certified™: All of West Elm’s products are Fair Trade Certified™. Fair Trade is a movement that creates sustainable opportunities for workers through trade agreements. A percentage of product cost at West Elm is paid directly to a worker’s fund.

• West Elm LOCAL: The West Elm LOCAL program finds local workers and features their products in West Elm stores. This program builds local economies and grows small businesses.

• Design services: West Elm offers services like room planners, inspiration articles and consultations with stylists and designers. Costs for consultations can vary.

• West Elm blog: West Elm’s blog contains posts about company news, design trends, lifestyles and consumer profiles. The blog also contains links to guest features from publications like Architectural Digest and The Atlantic.

• Brand extensions: West Elm’s various branches include West Elm Workspace, West Elm Hotels and West Elm To the Trade. These groups focus on workspace products, hospitality products and trade deals for brands respectively.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team