1.63/5
Based on 142 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good furniture store?

172 West Elm Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I ordered a sofa and Ottoman from West Elm May 28, 2018 and it has not been delivered as of August 14, 2018. Since July, they have repeatedly but authorization holds on my credit card, totaling to about $8,000. I have called at least a dozen times and they have been unable to update me on the delivery time. Today, August 14, I called and they informed me that they had canceled my order without my permission and without notifying me. I still have all of the authorization holds on my card. I have been without a place to sit for weeks now and am so disappointed in the service and delivery. Can't imagine their couches are worth the money paid for them!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I have emailed West Elm 5 times, called twice which I was transferred numerous times and was on hold for 20 minutes. When I finally got to talk to someone I was put on hold for another 10 minutes. I never got a straight answer as to when my order will be shipped. When I ordered it said items in stock then when checking status it said backordered. Will ship approx. Aug 2 2018. No items shipped. When I finally got to talk to someone they said possible ship date Aug 16. Now online status says Aug 10. I have requested tracking info so I can make arrangements to be home for delivery but can not get West Elm to reply to emails. I even tried contact through Twitter. I have ordered from them 3 times in the last year and will never order from them again. Customer is what makes a good company. West Elm is lacking in that department.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

They have great looking product at a good price but if you have to order something from them you will be sadly disappointed. After multiple call - some of which I was on hold from 45 minutes, emails that were never answered, and customer service reps that couldn't help me or passed me around, I still don't have my furniture. Unfortunately, some of it was custom or I would cancel. I will never order from them again. Wish I have read all the previous comments here from people having the same problem!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I’ve never reviewed a furniture purchase before but my experience with West Elm was so bad, I feel I have to warn the others! Don’t risk the time-suck and aggravation I endured. Just shop elsewhere. Tl;dr: it took almost a month from my “quick-ship” sectional coming into stock to it finally arriving in my home—after a half-dozen delivery windows, two delivery attempts, and hours of phone calls. Still no compensation from West Elm for the hassle despite their assurances. Every misstep along the way was inexcusable and on West Elm. I know there are worse problems in life but my first and only West Elm experience was so bad that I’m not spending another penny at West Elm (or any of their related stores like Pottery Barn or Williams Sonoma).

Full story: we ordered the Andes sectional in the Pittsburgh PA store June 24. It was a quick-ship item and Agnes, our sales rep, was great. It all went downhill from there though. The sectional came into stock July 2. Our first delivery date was July 9. We were given a 3-5pm delivery window. We got a call during our window saying we’re pushed back to 5-7pm. No problem - I came home early but can wait. At 7pm they called to say DOT regulations require their drivers to be off the road by 7pm and they can’t come out today. Annoying, but these things happen I suppose. I called West Elm and after a long hold was told the drivers have a “two-day route” from Columbus so they can come the next day. They gave me a new delivery window the next afternoon (2-4pm) but that evening they emailed with a later delivery window (4-6pm).

July 10 we expected to finally get our sectional during the 4-6pm delivery window. Instead, we got a call from the delivery company—a bit after 4pm—saying they won’t come today and to call West Elm to reschedule. When we asked why, the driver or dispatcher said the truck had to be back in Columbus by 7pm (which is 3 hours away from Pittsburgh) and then rudely noted there’s no way he’s risking a $10,000 DOT fine for us. Um, say what? West Elm gave us a 4-6pm delivery window when its delivery truck has to be three hours away by 7pm? So basically our delivery was impossible from the start. This part, in particular, is inexcusable.

I called West Elm right away to figure out what is going on. The first rep just told me the system still says we’re on the schedule for today and basically that what I am saying happened made no sense. I called again later that evening and was told they can’t even reschedule me until the delivery driver cancels in their system. The rep filed a complaint for me and assured me West Elm will compensate me for the delay. Notably, not a single rep could get ahold of the delivery company to get information and the text status updates they promised never came. The next day, July 11, the delivery in their system still showed as pending (for the day before) and the rep had to do a manual override in order to give me another delivery window. This time I had to wait for a weekend (July 14) because I just couldn’t rearrange our schedules for a third weekday of getting home early.

On July 14, the truck arrived during our scheduled window. Finally, I thought, our sectional is here! They brought in one piece of a three-piece sectional. And that was all they had. They had no idea where the other two pieces were. The driver showed me that their loading documents only listed one piece, even though our email confirmation showed three pieces were scheduled to arrive. I had to reject the piece. As the driver was leaving, he told me West Elm’s warehouse called and they found the other two pieces. They were just sitting in Columbus, never designated for loading on the truck to Pittsburgh. Again inexcusable.

I was ready to just cancel my order at this point. But after more phone calls, West Elm assured me they will get me my top choice of delivery windows and will compensate me. No one would tell me how much compensation I’d receive though — one rep explained they’d at least credit me the $229 for delivery and likely more, but that they can’t discuss it until the sectional was delivered. They promised someone would call me after my delivery was complete.

I finally got all three pieces of my sectional during the 7am slot on Sunday, July 22 (not exactly a convenient time but it seemed like the only way to avoid getting bumped again). This final delivery went fine, though the drivers noted they were over-scheduled with more than a dozen deliveries for the day and a lot of other recent deliveries had been wrong or rejected.

Thus we finally got our order about a month after this “quick-ship” sectional came into stock. The quality is fine, but not remotely worth the aggravation. And it’s been more than two weeks since my sectional was finally delivered, but no one from West Elm has called me despite multiple assurances I’d be contacted about my credit. West Elm has been the single most inefficient and inept furniture company I’ve ever dealt with. I understand things happen, but West Elm’s problems seem to run deep: poor logistics management, overworked delivery companies, and under-staffed customer service. I’m done with this family of companies. And with all of these failings, West Elm doesn’t deserve your business either.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

We love the design of West Elm’s furniture and the experience in stores and purchasing items has always been great. When it comes to actually receiving furniture, that’s another story. In the last two years we’ve had 3 major purchase orders with West Elm (sofa, media center, chair, bed, dressers, ottoman). We ordered the couch in April and were told it would ship 2 months later in June, because of the custom fabric job. When we received the sofa in AUGUST, it was the wrong sofa (right fabric though). In order to not have to wait several months again, we decided to go with the stock fabric instead of the custom. We finally received our sofa in October. So, it took half a year to receive one very expensive sofa...

Our order with the dressers, chair, and ottoman were placed in late May and we were told they would ship in early July. This length of time was because one of the dressers was out of stock. When the dresser came back in stock everything was ready to ship. A month later we still hadn’t receive everything and when we called they said they were waiting on the ottoman (which has always said home delivery, which we told them this even though they know...). We called again a few weeks later and they said all the furniture was ready, except the ottoman, which had already been delivered to our home 2 weeks earlier. Now we are told the rest will arrive in a few days (August). We shall see...

Seems like getting furniture from West Elm is more hassle than it’s worth. We will no longer be purchasing furniture from here. When complaining to customer service they said, “we will let the warehouse know”. Okay... how do I know you’re actually doing that? I think West Elm needs to make some structural changes when it comes to handling their furniture. With that said, the delivery of the media center and bed (which came at the same time) were delivered when stated.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about West Elm?

Original review: July 31, 2018

Order a West Elm dining table in store. It was scheduled to ship on July 12. On July 12th, they called very late in the date after the scheduled time frame claim truck broke down and can't deliver. Rescheduled with them to deliver on July 29th. Got a call on July 28th said my order is canceled! I called back, waited for half an hour to talk to the customer representative. Told her the order is not canceled. She said ok and she will call me back. NEVER called back. July 29th. I called, they said the order is canceled and they can't do anything about it but they will transfer me to order service. That's 1 hour in already because their line has SUPER LONG WAIT TIME. Finally they transfer the call to order service. And the representative on the line informed me that it is not the correct line, they only handle pottery barn and they have to TRANSFER me again.

As I am WAITING on the line again for an hour, I emailed West Elm, posted on Facebook. They never got back to me on email and they asked me to pm my order number and NEVER get back to me. I continue to stay on the line and wait for the customer service to resolve the issue. HOURS passed by, you know what I get?? they said they will call me back in 12 hours. That was July 29th 12:09pm. Right now is July 31st 11:33am. I have not heard from west elm in any form, phone, email, FB. And I got my West Elm bill yesterday, they charged me for the dining table. How is that right??? Who is going to give me my table back and compensate me for all these time I wasted because of West Elm's HORRIBLE SERVICE.

Original review: July 28, 2018

The sofa delivered was broken and appeared to have been re-packaged. Was online for over 15 minutes and then, was transferred to "Furniture Dept" where nobody picked the transferred call for over 25 minutes, total time on phone: over 40 minutes. Still waiting for someone pick up the call. Very Very POOR.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I ordered the king Belgian linen bedding set less than a year ago and the elastic blew out already. I didnt overwash them and wasnt hard on them. Paying $500 for the whole set for them to say they can't exchange just the fitted sheet not even a year later is absolutely ridiculous. Needless to say that will be my last west elm purchase.

Original review: July 25, 2018 I ordered over 10K in furniture and they were happy to take my order. I requested to be held for 1 month until the apartment was ready. They said no problem. Well some of the furnishings were delivered before that date but thankfully the apartment complex was able to store it. The big problem came with a two piece sofa that they had record it shipped from the vendor May 06 and it can't be tracked. It's now July 25th and no sofa. I have put in over a dozen calls with the promise that this will be cleared up. Each time the person gives me their extension number and name. No one has ever emailed me or called me back. I have requested a supervisor but they won't call me. The charge on my account came June 6th. Now I will reverse this charge on my credit card due to nondelivery. Hard lesson learned. Don't order from West Elm.

i

Original review: July 24, 2018

At the end of the day on July 4, 2018, I purchased both a Leon sofa and a Rhyan bed. The store manager in Providence told me that I could receive an online receipt. Almost a month later, I am still waiting. After reading the terrible reviews for West Elm (both for its customer service and the quality of its furniture), I called about 18 hours later to cancel the order. I was told that was impossible, that the Leon sofa I had ordered was a custom order. However, they could refund the bed. Almost a month has gone by. I have spoken multiple times to the Providence store and to customer service (which takes forever to contact).

In addition, I have sent multiple emails. It is all such a waste of time! I still have no refund on the bed nor even a receipt for my purchase, which totaled ca. $2,200. This horrible customer service record is even more appalling given that West Elm is part of Williams Sonoma. They simply don't seem to care about their customers at all. Buyers beware!

Original review: July 24, 2018

I placed an order for a duvet cover & two shams on July 14th online. When I placed the order, it said available for immediate delivery. It said the items would arrive by July 20th. Then I received the confirmation email stating the items are on backorder and the estimated ship date wouldn’t be until July 25th. They charged my card for the $177. It is July 23rd and the items have not yet shipped. I called customer service and was told (with a dog barking in the background) that they should get more of these items in stock on July 25th and that I should have it on the 27th or maybe the 28th or maybe the 29th or 30th. She really went through each date. It was clear she did not know. Had I known these items were on backorder and wouldn’t ship on time, I 100% would not have ordered from here. I am moving on July 31st so it better be here by then. I am livid.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I have had one of the worst experiences with West Elm, and I am extremely disappointed. I bought two items from WEST ELM 22 days ago and received only one of them. In the receipt number they said that I would receive on July 12, then they changed to July 20 (TODAY) and today I received nothing. I called them and they said that I will receive on July 24. I asked the reason, they said it was the mail's fault??? Do not waste your time with this store.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I did not choose to deal with West Elm - it was a wedding gift registry. BUT I will tell you - I will warn any other potential couples to STAY AWAY FROM WEST ELM. I ordered four gifts and paid for gift wrapping. The gifts arrived unwrapped. I called to get a credit. They credited one (1) and not the other three. I have called twice and emailed once, it has been seven days and NOTHING. BEWARE - do not pay for gift wrapping with WEST ELM!!!

Original review: July 16, 2018

I have never had an experience with a store in my 80 years as poor as this one. I attempted to order a gift for a shower from a registry and was met with problems online. I then called West Elm to place my order. I received 2 platters, not one and was charged for 2. I called for return s/H label and took it to UPS. The second one was not wrapped so again I got a shipping label and went to UPS. I spoke to some wonderful customer agents who could not have been nicer. Jennifer ** in Las Vegas was exceptional as was Kristina in Georgia. Supervisor rude but was promised another platter, gift wrapped to arrive today. It did but was not wrapped but in a big brown carton. I spent a minimum of 7 hours on the phone over this problem and would never do business again with West Elm. Now I am waiting for the credit to my credit card for the unasked for platter and am looking forward to getting a call from a supervisor today. Gift still unwrapped!!!

Original review: July 16, 2018

Also usually won't bothers but since I'm an infuriating hold (AGAIN AND AGAIN) I may as well. The service is beyond terrible. The Rewards Program should be illegal. Cards expire; led to believe they can be used at Williams Sonoma, they can't. If furniture is in stock, maybe. Only if you are not paying exorbitant credit, or plan to use rewards dollars, which are slow to come and quick to expire. I believe the whole thing is fraudulent and should be investigated. Do not put yourself in any position where you might need customer service for anything.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I am not one to waste my time writing reviews, but I have had one of the worst experiences with West Elm, and I am extremely disappointed. Ordered a couch more than 2 months ago now. I called at least 6-7 times to follow up, and every time someone would give me a different answer or tell me they would call back to confirm the delivery date and NOTHING. Online it says the couch was DELIVERED 3 weeks ago. I paid $1500 for this stupid couch and $300 for delivery. Wow! Please spend your money somewhere else. These people should not be in the customer service business. Absolutely horrible!

Original review: July 13, 2018

Where do I begin with how angry and utterly dissatisfied (or rather PISSED OFF) I am at West Elm? They "promised" the dresser and bed I ordered were in stock and would be delivered in one week. It is now 6 weeks later and finally was going to have the items delivered last Sat. We got a call on Sat after waiting that the delivery would not happen because they were missing items! Do not order furniture from this company! They seem to take your money for items they cannot deliver!! The customer service, no joke, will hang up on you, even if you ask them nicely when you can expect your delivery. TERRIBLE!!!

Original review: July 12, 2018

Not one to usually write reviews but here goes... I ordered a leather sectional from West Elm in February of 2018. As it was a custom made product, the delivery date for my sofa was scheduled at the beginning of June. My delivery date week came around and I waited for a call to schedule my shipping - as I was told would happen. No call arrived. I called customer service several times and submitted email requests but no one seemed to know exactly what was going on. After several failed attempts at locating my couch, I was able to get in contact with a very helpful woman out of the Memphis shipping and distribution center. She informed me that only 2 of the 3 pieces of my couch were ready for shipment. The delivery of those two pieces arrived June 21st. It is now July 12th and I still do not have my third piece.

One would think that an entire couch would be made all at one time, right? I have called and sent in email requests for my final piece, but no one seems to know where it is. Each customer service rep, who seems to truly be trying their best, promises me that someone will be calling me or getting in touch with me to update me. No one has ever called me back - not a single time I have been promised someone would.

The customer service department cannot, for some strange reason, get in direct contact with the manufacturer. They submit an email to an internal department who then routes the email to the manufacturer. Seriously? That seems extremely insufficient - since several emails have been sent and no one has seemingly received them. Hopefully I will be receiving the final piece of my couch soon, but I do not have high hopes. You would think that after spending an INSANE amount of money on a custom couch I would have received an apology or some notion that my issue would be given some priority. Especially after they have charged me the FULL amount of my couch, even though I have been left with only 2/3rds of it. Safe to say I will never be ordering from West Elm again - shame because the products really are beautiful.

Original review: July 12, 2018

On March 2nd of 2018, the bed that we bought from West Elm was delivered and the delivery guys, wearing Williams Sonoma shirts, set up the new bed frame in the bedroom. I was in the other room trying not to get in their way, but hadn't realized that I had left my wedding and engagement ring in my jewelry dish on the dresser. It's just not something I thought about because I trusted that West Elm was sending respectable people to come into my home. While they were setting it up, one of the men swiped my beautiful diamond wedding band from the dish. I had only been married for 8 months, and I learned the hard way that you cannot trust anyone and you must have everything insured because this sort of thing can happen to you.

Unfortunately my ring was not insured, so even now after celebrating my one year anniversary, I still do not have a wedding ring. I noticed about 45 minutes after the delivery guys left my apartment and called West Elm immediately. The three guys were sent back to my apartment where I questioned them along with the police. In the days, weeks, and months following this incident West Elm has claimed no responsibility. Not even as much as offering to cover the delivery fee. They say they are "sorry for the inconvenience". We found out that these guys work for a trucking company (JJP trucking) that is very much off the map in New Jersey and they were hired by another company (MXD group) that subcontracts for West Elm.

Not one of these three companies involved will take responsibility, but really it is West Elm that is responsible. Needless to say, this has been one of the worst experiences of my life. They got away with it. My ring cost twice as much as the bed. I would give the bed back in a heartbeat if I could have my wedding ring back. I learned a lesson the hard way and I am reminded of it every day. I will never buy anything from West Elm ever again. I advise everyone to watch the delivery men, but really just don't buy from West Elm in the first place.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I have been a very customer of West Elm and have purchased an entire set of patio furniture from them. The problem came when I ordered curtains. Some of the items I ordered were the wrong color or too small for my windows. I was unaware that you only had 30 days for a return. Since my mom had injured herself and had back surgery, I was unable to take them to my place up north to see it they worked till a few weeks after delivery.

When I called for support they said I missed the return period but they would override it and give me my credit back on my credit card. I received credit on a GIFT CARD, No credit on my credit card. I called 3 more times and 2 times was told they would see that I would get a credit on my credit card. The last time I called they said they couldn't do it. I missed the 30 day grace period by one week. THESE COMPANY SUCKS! DO NOT BUY FROM THEM. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND A VERY UNFRIENDLY RETURN POLICY.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I have to admit, I am still pretty shocked at the depth of how poorly West Elm customer support actually goes. I ordered an item, and it arrived badly damaged. I called customer support, a rep told me she would send me a replacement, issue a 20% discount and asked me to please return the damaged item to my closet West Elm store. I did return the item as requested. I then waited for three weeks and no replacement arrived. I again contacted customer support, they apologized and explained that the previous rep had “forgotten” to process the replacement order. I again understood, things happen and I accepted the apology for the inconvenience and off I went.

Then lo and behold I see two charges for the same item pop up on my credit card. A little concerned as to why there would be two charges for an item, that was returned due to damage, and no replacement received yet? I contact customer support for a third time, I explain my situation and I am told “Oh if you have questions about your credit card you need to call your financial institution and they will investigate if it is really truly a double payment”. Errr what? So, what you're saying is you can charge my credit card without my authorization and I am supposed to just file a complaint with my bank so they can investigate whether or not I’m a liar and was really truly overcharged? This is 2018 right? Aren’t we in the “relationship marketing era”, aren’t your customers supposed to be -at the very minimum- treated with respect and not called liars?

I am then transferred from rude customer service rep to rude billing rep… all chirping this tune of “Ma'am – this is not our problem, this is your bank’s issue”. Finally, I end up with a “customer service lead” which now that I think about it was probably the most obnoxiously rude rep out of the three people I spoke to. I run through my issue with her, explaining the damaged item, etc., then she says “Let me check your replacement order, oh I see it was delivered yesterday”, and I’m like looking at my front porch hoping to see it but there’s nothing there. She then reads out the address it was delivered to. Yes, they sent it to an incorrect address, oops. So they sent me a really badly damaged item, they forgot to issue my return, they charged my cc twice, then accused me of trying to get my item for free, then sent the replacement to the wrong address. It just doesn’t get much better than this.

The rep – understandably embarrassed- then becomes defensive and spurts out “We emailed you two weeks ago asking to confirm your address and you never replied so this is your fault”. It was at this point I realized that West Elm really must have a toxic call/support center because the rude, incompetent customer support was clearly an inherent problem, lack of basic respect, defensive conduct, aggressive mannerisms (these things are legit at the very top of the list of “how NOT to treat your customer”). Defeated and in shock at the treatment, I disconnected the call knowing that never ever again would I ever pay a cent to West Elm as a customer. I will tell everyone who will listen about this disgraceful misconduct and warn them not to expect to be treated with respect, to not expect a quality product, and to watch out for unauthorized activity on your credit cards.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I greatly adore West Elm furniture but I am very disappointed in their customer service and internal billing policies. I recently purchased an entertainment console as part of their Fourth of July Sale. A sale which misrepresented the duration of the sale in hopes of incentivizing buying through deceitful advertising methods. The sale was said to end at midnight on July 4th and had a countdown clock to create a sense of urgency. However, what West Elm didn’t want consumers to know was that following the Fourth of July Sale at 20% there was another sale (Post Fourth of July Sale) that was 25% off. I purchased my entertainment stand on the last day of the Fourth Sale and called customer service the next day when I realized they had bumped the sale price. I asked for a price adjustment to which Customer Service told me West Elm does not issue under any circumstances as a corporate policy.

I then tried to cancel my original order to reorder with the greater sale price and was told that was impossible since the distribution facility had already started to prepare my order for shipment. The inability for order cancellation, I understand. But the refusal for price adjustments I was appalled by. Their sale was blatant deceitful advertising and was a carefully crafted sales initiative on West Elm’s part to get the biggest bang for their buck during the Fourth of July. For an American founded company, I’m pretty disappointed in their company’s morals and abuse of an American holiday.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Don't buy from West Elm! My West Elm Belgian flax sheet set ($249 for king size), specifically the fitted sheet, started getting thin after 1.5 years and now less than 2 years after purchase has holes appearing and they are essentially rendered useless. I only ever washed in cool gentle cycle with natural detergent. West Elm only credited me a lousy $50 to compensate me for this quality issue. I am extremely disappointed to say the least. I will use my credit and then never shop there again. I have sheets from 20 years ago that look brand new next to these. Expensive sheets should several decades if not a lifetime. $200 down the drain.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I must start by saying all of the Customer Service people are extremely friendly and compassionate but this is all smoke and mirrors designed to give the customer a false sense of security. I purchased a sofa online on April 7th, 2018. I ordered knowing the sofa was a special order and would not be delivered until June 11th through June 13th. I called customer service on June 10th to see if they were still on target for delivery and they said I should receive an email when the sofa was ready for delivery with instructions on how to set up a time.

Three additional calls later and a total of 3 hours of on hold time, I have still not received my sofa, nor does customer service have a clue as to its whereabouts. According to the online information, my sofa arrived in Industry, California on June 14th. I live about a 6 hour car ride from there. If it was possible, I would go pick it up. It is now July 1st and I still have no idea when or if my sofa will arrive. I have been shopping with West Elm for many years but this experience has convinced me to stop shopping with them.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I ordered a piece of furniture (Industrial Storage Modular System) several weeks ago. I was supposed to receive it over 1.5 weeks ago, but who knows where it is. I've tried calling customer service several times but each time I've had to wait on hold for over 30 minutes; furthermore, when I finally get someone, they say that they can answer the question and need to transfer me. And then I waited for another 30 minutes. The one customer service rep I did get in touch with told me that my furniture is with the delivery company and that it takes them up to 3 days to process the furniture, and give me a call to set up delivery. I have heard nothing. I've also emailed West Elm but they don't respond. I will never shop at West Elm again.

Original review: July 1, 2018

Bought a TV cabinet online on May 27th, expecting delivery early June. July now - three phone calls (each of which required an hour of hold time after transfers) still no product, no refund, no resolution and no answers! Last call they couldn't find it and said I would hear back in three days; nothing. Emailed customer service; nothing. Currently on hold. Poor customer service; have effectively robbed me of $1.5k so far.

Original review: June 28, 2018

My wife and I had bought one bed, the Emmerson from West Elm, found it too small, and bought the mid century queen sized bed. We have been waiting for information on the refund of the first bed. No email, phone call or contact regarding this. When we finally reached customer service after three hours on the phone, the service rep told us they were switching from an old system and were unable to process refunds at this time. In 2018, I find this hard to believe! Still waiting for information, and I am going to contact the BBB to file a complaint!

Original review: June 28, 2018

Ordered a dining table on June 19 with estimated delivery between June 25-27. When it still hadn't arrived on June 27, I tracked on their website, and it said it was delivered on June 26. However, it wasn't. I called customer service on June 27. After speaking initially with someone after 20 minutes on hold, I was transferred and on hold another 40 minutes. I finally had to hang up because I have a life. I called again very early the morning of June 28. Waited nearly 30 minutes to be connected to someone who told me it had been delivered to Memphis but that someone was supposed to call me to schedule delivery. That person put me on hold to transfer me. Another 20 minutes and I hang up. I called back later. Waited on hold 53 minutes before anyone came on. Finally, got a person who tells me it shipped (from GA) on June 21, but hasn't arrived in Memphis yet. I could walk from GA to Memphis in a week. Never ordering from this company again.

Original review: June 28, 2018

My husband and I went to the West Elm store and ordered a Quick Ship Harmony sectional on May 11th. The estimated delivery time was May 30th so I was pleasantly surprised to hear a phone call on May 18th stating that we could schedule our delivery and that May 26th was open. We had planned a trip with my parents for that weekend (Memorial Day) but because we have limited flexibility during the week, decided to cancel the trip to get our couch. On May 26th, about 2 hours before our scheduled delivery time, we got a phone call saying that the legs were broken and they were not going to deliver the couch. Not only had we cancelled our trip, but we had sold our old couches that morning so we were stuck sitting on camping chairs.

I was told that someone would get back to me in 48 hours. When I hadn't heard from anyone I called West Elm customer service. They said it could take anywhere from 7 days to a couple of months to get a new couch (are you kidding me?). The person I spoke with decided to create a replacement order (which was ordered on May 30th). She told me over the phone that it would be delivered anywhere from June 19-21st. I asked if there was a way to track the new order, just like the original (where I could see it online), she said no. Frustrated with this, I called back a few days later, to see if someone else could give me that information, no one in the customer service department could, however, someone in furniture was able to give me the order number.

When I tracked it, it said the estimated delivery was June 19th-21st. When the 17th of June rolled around and I hadn't heard anything, I called customer service, to which I was told that they have until the 25th to contact me, because it was just shipped that day! On the 25th it arrived in the Denver, I know because when I hadn't heard from anyone, I called them. After working with some people at scheduling, they were able to get me a June 28th delivery (which I very much appreciated). But on June 27th, I received a phone call at 7:00pm that my couch will not be delivered because they are "searching for the pieces." I will not be purchasing from West Elm again. I suggest that customers looking to purchase anything from West Elm have a backup plan!

Original review: June 27, 2018

Tried to purchase a Day Bed from West Elm. We saw the bed in a Marriott Hotel we stayed in. In fact there are brochures all over the hotel suite about how to buy the bed. Fell in love with the Day Bed and purchased it to supplement sleeping accommodations for a 50th anniversary party we were having. First the bed was delivered 2 1/2 weeks later than promised and 2 weeks after the event. When it was delivered it was delivered without ARMS and SLATS to support the cushions. Second delivery attempt they resent the trundle, no arms or slats. I've just spent two days trying to get hold of someone to resolve this issue. While I was typing this they finally called to tell me that they no longer stock that item and have no Arms or Slats to send me.

I've now been on hold with them for 1 hour and 49 minutes. I had to call 4 different customer service numbers, and finally had to call the Corporate office in New York just to get a number where I could talk to someone. Still not resolved except they want me to return the bed and they'll give me a couple of hundred bucks on another item from their stores. It is now almost a month after we place to order. I'm waiting for another level of supervisor to come to the phone to assist. My expectations are not high. I would not buy again from WEST ELM.

Not sure about West Elm?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Furniture Stores for you.

West Elm expert review by ConsumerAffairs

West Elm is a branch of Williams-Sonoma, Inc., that was founded in 2002. Ninety percent of their products are designed in-house from organic and sustainably sourced materials.

• Fair Trade Certified™: All of West Elm’s products are Fair Trade Certified™. Fair Trade is a movement that creates sustainable opportunities for workers through trade agreements. A percentage of product cost at West Elm is paid directly to a worker’s fund.

• West Elm LOCAL: The West Elm LOCAL program finds local workers and features their products in West Elm stores. This program builds local economies and grows small businesses.

• Design services: West Elm offers services like room planners, inspiration articles and consultations with stylists and designers. Costs for consultations can vary.

• West Elm blog: West Elm’s blog contains posts about company news, design trends, lifestyles and consumer profiles. The blog also contains links to guest features from publications like Architectural Digest and The Atlantic.

• Brand extensions: West Elm’s various branches include West Elm Workspace, West Elm Hotels and West Elm To the Trade. These groups focus on workspace products, hospitality products and trade deals for brands respectively.

• Best for: West Elm is best for businesses and consumers who want to support local workers and Fair Trade with their purchases.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
    ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

West Elm Company Information

www.westelm.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business