2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

3.1/5 (978 ratings)

About West Elm

West Elm Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about West Elm?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about West Elm?

Original review: May 29, 2021

I had been eyeing this sofa for a few months and after careful review decided this was the best choice for me. Now West Elm is notoriously known for being expensive (cough) “overpriced” a bold person may say..but it wouldn’t be West Elm if it wasn’t, would it? This sofa is DEEP! And the quality Superb! Upon ordering I did ask for some kind of a discount. ASK! Don’t be shy! They gave me $100 off! Albeit the shipping was $399, yes that hurt... but it came from L.A. and I live in Montana. The sofa came earlier than expected (how cool is that?) and the delivery service out of Missoula was TOP NOTCH! Delivered my sofa without a scratch, tear, or stain. Thanks guys. I am rating my experience ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️. P.S. I ordered this sofa Feb 13th 2021 and it arrived May 28th 2021 (so if you're patient go for it! If not... try Wayfair.)

Hi Kars,

We are so happy you are loving your new sofa and we truly appreciate hearing from you! You are a valued customer, and we appreciate your patronage.

West Elm

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

For anyone WAITING for their couch, I just my couch DELIVERED today. Here’s a short summary: 14th Oct 2020: Ordered couch through the Store in Chelsea, NYC. 5th - 21st Dec 20: First Delivery Date, but postponed. 28th Dec- 10th Jan 21: Second delivery Date, but postponed. 14th Jan - 28th Jan: Third Delivery Date. Called West Elm STORE to ask for update and they said the couch has been delivered to Cranbury, NJ and is being loaded for delivery. 19th Jan: Got email from West Elm to schedule Appointment for 26th Jan. 26th Jan: Couch DELIVERED.

Couple of pointers:

1. Never spoke to the Customer care helpline, rather I called the store directly ONCE where I placed the order.

2. I know it is frustrating to wait for a couch and mine was delayed by a month from the initial estimate. But eventually things came through.

West Elm response

Hello A, thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the delay you experienced with your order, but we are happy to hear your couch was delivered successfully! Your comments are appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Alyssa S

West Elm

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 28, 2021

Unless you enjoy waiting in the balance for your furniture to maybe arrive in this century do not waste your time ordering from this business. I ordered a table and two dining chairs mid-May. When they delivered the table a chair was missing. So I literally have a table and one single chair. They have charged and credited my card three times which I was told is to ensure the funds are still there. This entails having to hawk eye my statement to ensure they're charging and crediting the same amount each time. In addition to this I've been told three times it's going to be delivered, even scheduled the delivery, only for them to tell me it's been delayed. Online it says the product is in stock and ready to ship, they're telling me it will be October before I see it. Not worth the hassle and I will not be ordering from this company ever again. There is clearly a reason they don't allow reviewed on their site...

Hello Maggie,

I am so very sorry your order arrived incomplete! Please send us an email to support@westelm.com include your order number and details so we can look into this for you. Thank you

Original review: July 27, 2021

I purchase a table and two chairs on April 18th. Both of my items were received on April 20th. Initial delivery was extremely fast and I have no complaints. However, after attempting to assemble the items, we noticed both chairs and table were damage. I immediately called customer care at West Elm and they informed me they would be sending a replacement. This was on April 26th. Today, three months after I still haven't received my item and after contacting West Elm several times, there is never an answer when I will be receiving my items.

Resolution response: Aug. 4, 2021

Products are great and the item did eventually arrive. Not sure if it was a technical error, but some sort of update when shipping is delayed and an automatic notification of the delay would go a long way for items that run out of stock.

Original review: July 26, 2021

I ordered a duvet set a month ago, it was set to be delivered in a couple days and was shown as being in stock. I ordered another item at the time which was delivered promptly. Now we’re a month later, the order is being pushed back for a fourth time. There has never been a notification about the order delay. Customer service is painfully slow to respond, seems like it’s an organization issue and not the fault of the individual agents. I was guaranteed delivery by a certain date at one point, only to have that date pass and to go to the site to check the status to find it had been changed again with no notification.

Originally they said they were waiting to ship until part of my order arrived, based on their site it seemed like the shams. I would have ordered just the duvet to have it expedited, but that was not offered as an option, nor was shipping components separately. Now, according to the site the duvet is sold out and the shams are available. So basically each component of what I ordered was there, but at different times and they refused to send them until both were together, which they seem to have lost track of. The other item I ordered was great in quality and promptness. I love their products but am not sure it’s worth ordering with them.

Hello Amanda,

I have just sent you an email. Sincerely, Tammi

Original review: July 26, 2021

Charged for our sectional over a month ago, initial delivery date was two months ago, and the people who delivered it two days ago only have the sofa piece. They told us the sectional is lost and never put on their truck and they have no idea where it is and no one seems to know where the chaise is and they also didn’t even have the correct hardware to put the sofa piece they did have together. Basically we have have of a sectional sitting on the floor of our living room right now...

Needless to say we this is a huge embarrassment and we will not be hosting anyone. We have Been bounced around from customer service to delivery to the warehouse about a million times and then we just receive a voicemail which we have left countless messages and never received a call back. Reached out to customer service via email as well. Not a single person has been helpful and this has been the most frustrating experience with a company that we have ever dealt with. Still cannot believe we paid $4000 FOR THIS! No one is able to help us. I am genuinely concerned if we no longer keep calling or following up that we may never receive our actual sectional. Do yourself a favor and take your business to crate and barrel. We will NEVER shop here again or recommend this to anyone.

Hi Lauren,

Thank you very much for reaching out. Our elevated support team has reached out to you at the telephone number provided on your order to further assist.

Original review: July 23, 2021

I purchased a dresser & 2 nightstands on May 6, for the delivery date only to be rescheduled several times. Finally I get the email to schedule my delivery appointment for July 24. A day later I got a call saying that my nightstands, which had come in the month prior but were on hold waiting for the other order (dresser) to come in.. only to be told my nightstands were now not in stock AGAIN! They had shipped them to someone else. Now I have to wait another MONTH for my nightstands. This will be 4.5 months later! Absolutely ridiculous. They are only giving me a ridiculous small credit for their mistake and for the inconvenience. I am livid.

Hello Aimee,

I sincerely apologize for this experience! Please email our elevated support team at support@westelm.com with your order number and details, and we will investigate this for you. Thank you!

Original review: July 23, 2021

We ordered for 2 accent chairs way back in March 2021 this year and they postponed the delivery date 2 times without even calling us and informing us of the delay. We kept calling them regularly to enquire about the status of our delivery and the customer representative did not have any visibility or clue on when the actual delivery would take place and no guarantees were given ever. At the end of almost a 5 month wait when they again postponed the delivery date and we got upset this time, they mentioned that our order items were lost. Once again no call to the customer and total disregard to customer satisfaction.

The representative mentioned that they no longer support this product. We corrected her stating that yes you do display that product on your website. On mentioning this the rep corrected herself and re-ordered the items once again. Today when I checked the delivery date has again been postponed by another month and once again no one called to inform us beforehand on any further delay. West Elm is supposed to be a premium brand furniture store and they do charge a premium price for their items. However when it comes to customer service experience there is a lot lacking on that front. The irony is that they have deducted the item amount fully few months back. I am really upset and thought would leave this review so that others are aware of this.

Hello Raghu,

I sincerely apologize you have had this terrible experience! Please email our elevated support team at support@westelm.com with your order number and details, and we will investigate this for you. Thank you!

Original review: July 22, 2021

Ordered a piece of furniture in May. Delivery was pushed from July to August. Now I get an email that delivery is postponed for September. In two weeks most likely they will send me another email saying delivery is pushed for October. My advice to you: Do Not order anything from West Elm.

Hello!

I sincerely apologize your order has been delayed! Please email our elevated support team at support@westelm.com with your order number and details, and we will investigate this for you. Thank you

Original review: July 22, 2021

BUYER BEWARE. -We placed order for a sofa in Mid March 2021. -Never got any updates on the online tracker. -Called end of May they said there are delays. -Called 2 times in June, different reps so had to re-explain everything multiple times, the reps said they would reach out the vendor and get to me but never did. -Called in July - was told we would get a dedicated person to follow up and she promised to keep us updated. -Got one update that delivery was on time even though tracker said otherwise. - During my multiple conversations with the sales rep they would consistently blame the vendor and say they do not have direct contact with them and all they can do is put an alert on my order and wait for a response which can take up to a week. Yet I never a call back from any of the reps with the vendor’s response.

- Still have not heard back from the “dedicated staff”, no more updates after the first time. - Our estimated delivery has been changed 3x and counting. This has been and continues to be a very frustrating process. The combination of lack of transparency, continue extended delays (understand it's Covid but it’ll be 5 months. And counting...), inconsistent customer service, misleading information including inaccurate delivery status times and dates and lack of clear communication. I am hoping to cancel my order for full refund and can promise that I will never shop at west elm again and will recommend the same for my family and friends. Stay tuned I will provide updates once West Elm sends back the same response as they did to all the other similar past reviews.

Hello Quynh,

I sincerely apologize your order has been delayed! Would you please email us your order details or concern at support@westelm.com? We are here to help.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 20, 2021

West Elm is completely unable to set or meet a date to provide goods. I'm not sure how they get past the FTC 30-day rule, but expect delay after delay adding to weeks and months of hold up. They will charge you - they will also charge you heavily for delivery - but cannot provide any availability dates with accuracy. They will also hold all "flat rate" deliveries until all products are available - meaning an item that may show up within 2-3 months of the original date will be held until all are available (in my case 6-8 months after promised delivery).

In the case of furniture the company was already poor at delivery dates, taking months past original promises to actually produce goods. With supply chain slowdowns, they are now almost a year out. In my specific case, an order for summer furniture placed in March was promised for May, then delayed until July. Their agent recommended a cancellation/re-order to get the current date. So with a re-order in May they promised July. Then moved it to August, then later in August (their current "official" date) but their agent says nothing will arrive until at least October.

Hi Colin,

We thank you very much for reaching out. Would you please email us at support@westelm.com with your order details? We would like to contact you to help.

West Elm

Original review: July 15, 2021

I have made multiple purchases from West Elm over the past 8 years, having furnished two homes and working on a third. For this most recent project, I purchased a dining table with four chairs, a media credenza, a carpet/rug, two living room chairs, a coffee table, a floor lamp, and a sofa. The total for his latest project was several thousand dollars. Some of this process has been acceptable; however, I'm extremely disappointed by the extremely long delivery times, especially for the sofa. We ordered the sofa with an delivery time of weeks. After placing the order, we were informed it would likely take 20 weeks - four months - for this sofa to be delivered, and, beyond that, it might take longer and the actual delivery date remains unknown. When we questioned this and asked our designer to respond to us within the next day, he told us he was going on vacation and "instructed" me to contact him when he returned.

After additional back and forth, he forwarded our correspondence to his "manager." The manager responded via email late one evening, told us there was nothing he could do and that he was also going on vacation and would reach out to us when he returned the following week. It was a complete brush off. The only option we were given was to cancel the order, meaning we would need to start from scratch with another company - which I am still considering. On what planet does it take four months or more to delivery a sofa, and why were we repeatedly told anything but what they were going to do about it? Again, I am extremely disappointed in West Elm's ability to deliver a product in a timely manner, and the inexcusable way it was addressed, supposed in the name of "customer service." At this point, I have to reconsider whether I will use West Elm for the next project.

Hello Scott,

We are sorry for the delay in your order! Please send us an email to support@westelm.com with your order number and details so we can investigate this for you. Thank you.

West Elm author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

West Elm is a branch of Williams-Sonoma, Inc., that was founded in 2002. Ninety percent of their products are designed in-house from organic and sustainably sourced materials.

• Fair Trade Certified™: All of West Elm’s products are Fair Trade Certified™. Fair Trade is a movement that creates sustainable opportunities for workers through trade agreements. A percentage of product cost at West Elm is paid directly to a worker’s fund.

• West Elm LOCAL: The West Elm LOCAL program finds local workers and features their products in West Elm stores. This program builds local economies and grows small businesses.

• Design services: West Elm offers services like room planners, inspiration articles and consultations with stylists and designers. Costs for consultations can vary.

• West Elm blog: West Elm’s blog contains posts about company news, design trends, lifestyles and consumer profiles. The blog also contains links to guest features from publications like Architectural Digest and The Atlantic.

• Brand extensions: West Elm’s various branches include West Elm Workspace, West Elm Hotels and West Elm To the Trade. These groups focus on workspace products, hospitality products and trade deals for brands respectively.

West Elm Company Information