3.0/5 (1269 ratings)

About West Elm

West Elm Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about West Elm?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about West Elm?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

We ordered a $1,000 media stand that, to be fair, we knew was already on backorder and would take a while to ship. On their website, it stated that we would not be charged until the item shipped. Four months later we woke up to a $1,100 charge from West Elm with no confirmation email that our product had shipped. When I logged in to my account on their website, I confirmed that our media stand had indeed not been shipped and that the parts were back-ordered. After being unable to get ahold of customer service, we had to wait until Monday to speak to someone. By Monday, however, the charge had disappeared from our bank statement and the money was back in our account. That Friday, the exact same thing happened again, and again the following week. When we finally got in touch with someone, they said that they could not cancel our order until all of the parts came in (makes no sense, right?).

When we told them what happened, all they could say was that it was just to make sure we had the money before the item shipped but didn't know why it happened three times. Three days later, another $1,100 charge. They were refusing to cancel our order while repeatedly moving huge chunks of money in and out of our bank account. We had to call our bank, reject the charge and cancel our debit card. It was only after we told them we were canceling our debit card and refusing the charge that they finally agreed to cancel our order. I get that these guys are a legitimate company, but this was very sketchy.

Hello Alex,

Thank you very much for contacting us. A member of our elevated support team will contact you via Private Response to help with your order.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

I ordered a couch and paid $259 for in home/white glove service delivery. I tracked the couch using the link I was sent the morning of delivery. The couch was initially supposed to come between 2-4pm, but then at some point, it updated the delivery time to 4:45. I was waiting a block away (2 minute or less walk) and watching on the app to see if any updates would come. At 3:33 just minutes after I had checked and saw the time was still 4:45, I get a notification that the delivery driver is there, so I run over and see the couch has been left in boxes, not assembled, and with no phone call or anything from the delivery crew.

I immediately call the West Elm home delivery number (it takes a few minutes before I can get through to customer service), and I'm told they can't come back to assemble the couch today. I tell them, okay I will try to assemble it myself, but I want the delivery fee refunded since they did not fulfill their agreement with the "white glove" delivery team. Customer service tries to tell me that I signed for the couch and it says "Ok" under the signature, and I tell them that I absolutely did not sign for these boxes.

Fast forward to an hour and a half on the phone back and forth, and I'm so frustrated with the company that I just tell them I want to return the $3000 couch and will go to small claims for the delivery fee. They didn't uphold their end of the delivery agreement, so why would I pay for a service I did not receive? Customer service insisted there was nothing that they could do which is hilarious since we are talking about a huge corporation here that easily has the power to make their customers happy.

After reading all of these reviews here, on other websites, and online articles about the company, it seems like the company has a real problem with its refund policies. Is West Elm struggling so badly that it can't refund me the $259 for a service that they did not perform on an item that is already incredibly marked up? Anyway, the West Elm customer service person on the phone ultimately chose for me to return the $3000 couch rather than refund the delivery fee leaving me incredibly frustrated with the company and also the company losing that sale, so seems like we both lost out in the end.

Hello -

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are very sorry to hear of the issues you are having with your order and the delivery. Please send us an email to support@westelm.com with your order information and we would be happy to refund the shipping for the poor delivery. Thank you!

Sincerely,
Sara

Social Media Senior Lead

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

We spent $4000 on new furniture in-store for a new home we are moving into in 4 weeks time. We were promised delivery within 4 weeks because items were in stock in a US warehouse. The order confirmation then arrived by email indicating that no items from the order would be available before 7 weeks out. I have invested several hours in reaching customer service, and to this point I have made zero progress. The order inquiry system won't let you talk to a human. The delivery scheduling option connects to people who won't respond to back orders. The customer service line (Williams Sonoma?!) requires waiting through extended hold times to reach an agent. The agent I spoke with could do nothing but send an inquiry to the shipping people who I am not able to contact directly. This experience has been awful and I do not plan to ever do business with these miserable people ever again.

Hi Craig,

Thank you for contacting us. Our elevated support team has sent you an email to the email address provided on your order to further assist.

Sincerely,
    Kimi T.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!! DO NOT BUY FROM WEST ELM, YOU WILL NEVER RECEIVE YOUR ITEMS AND WILL GET CHEATED ON REFUNDS, WORST EXPERIENCE EVER. I ordered a full bedroom set, plus a desk and chair, on June 1 that was supposed to be delivered at the end of June, I wound up cancelling the order in August after multiple delivery dates cancelled. I ordered a couch that was suppose to be delivered in mid July. After 5 no show deliveries I worked with managers for a confirmed delivery date, I confirmed verbally with Manager the day before, flew back into town to accept the delivery and the delivery was cancelled that morning, with no phone call or no email.

I have noticed Wes Elm responding to all complaints with Leadership team will respond to you, WHAT A JOKE!!! THEY RESPOND AND NEVER FOLLOW UP!!! Something should be done about this company, it is unfair how they treat not only customers but people in general and good luck getting your funds back if you cancel due to their incompetence. I'll save you weirdos at West Elm the time to write one of your joke responses asking for an order number, here is the order number for the couch you cheated me on **.

Hello James,

Thanks for contacting West Elm.

We understand you are extremely frustrated and rightfully so, if you would like our assistance in resolving your order, please email your order number to supporrt@westelm.com and reference this review.

Christi T.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

We purchased a frame dining table with bronze base and marble top in June. We waited 3+ months for a delivery date. When the table and top were delivered, the marble top was cracked. Deliverymen took the top away, left the base, and promised that West Elm would be in contact with us. Guess what? When we called them, they informed us that they were no longer making these tops and that we would have to purchase a different table. Then we arranged for the base to be picked up, but since it is sitting in our second home, we had to arrange a special trip to meet the delivery team. We indicated a day that would work, anytime from 7 am to 8 pm, EXCEPT 1:30 - 3:30. Guess what? We received a text and email from the company indicating that pickup would be in the period 1:30 - 3:30.

We called to ask for a different time and were told that was no longer possible, so we had to reschedule and will have to make a second trip to take care of this. All due to their mishandling of the top and their decision to leave the base behind. Every call to West Elm or its delivery team requires 30-40 minutes on hold. We will never buy from them again.

Hello Gene,

Thanks for contacting West Elm.

We are so sorry to hear about your experience, can you please email us at support@westelm.com with your order number and reference this review? We would like to make sure this gets resolved.

Christi T.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

I ordered a couch from West Elm in July. Was told it was in stock and would be delivered in 2 weeks First lie. Each time delivery date approaches I get a new email delaying it more. Have called, have emailed and all I get is more run around and lies. Latest now it’s not coming until December, I have an empty living room!! Please I need my couch. This couch continues to be on sale as I am sent advertisements. Why are you pushing more sales when you cannot fulfill these orders. Please expedite my order!!

Hello Tayor,

I am so very sorry your order has yet to be received! Please send us an email to supportwe@wsgc.com, include your order number and details. Also add this case number 219430. Thank you

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

We bought furniture that was guaranteed to be in stock and we ONLY shopped items in stock. Everything was supposed to come within weeks. Over 3 months and the order is not complete. Got a dining room table base without the top. Spending hours on hold. Every time we call we are transferred around and given conflicting information. Today, we were speaking to a manager who was horribly rude. So disrespectful, so abrasive and entitled. Almost mocking us. I speak with an accent and she yelled at me - "Do you not understand what I am saying - listen to me before you ask questions..." Who talks like this? This was insulting, awful and disgusting, to be treated this way.

NEVER AGAIN will I shop at this store. I could have shopped anywhere and sadly, my money is stuck with them. And I STILL don't have furniture and they refuse to do anything for me in terms of discounts until the whole order is delivered but they don't deliver the pieces in time and I don't know if I want them at this price. Losing money because of them.

Hello Victoria,

I am so very sorry you had less than stellar customer service as well as your order has been delayed! Please send us an email to supportwe@wsgc.com along with your order number and include this AMS case id # 219427. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

We purchased 2 of the faceted emerald cut floor mirror for a project. Delivered and installed at the entry way in Dec 2020 (non coastal area home). A month ago we found a chip on the top of one of the corner of the emerald cut piece and one or two areas are desilvering. Two weeks later we found another chip similar to the first one and last week a third chip on another piece and more of the areas of the mirror desilvering. I contacted my glass fabricator. He said that this effect can happen if the cut mirrors do not have enough gap between them.

We contacted West Elm customer trade service 5 to 6 times on Sept 15, not only did we got cut off on every call, we asked that they call us if we do get cut off but the call back was never made. The only answer we got was that it is past the 30 days therefore they cannot do anything about it. I understand that there is a 30 day policy but a product like this should not have an expiration date and should be properly fabricated to last. The mirrors were set on a safe area, no children, no pets and well taken cared of. We purchase millions of dollars worth of products for our clients and I must say this is absolutely absurd to sell a product of poor quality.

Hi Peggy,

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

I ordered a dresser and they pushed back the delivery. When I finally got a call about delivery date they came and dropped off the furniture in my garage. The company did not put it together like I paid for. I get a call from the warehouse saying they lost my topper to the dresser and will have to reschedule another delivery. Didn't let me know when that would be or anything. Called customer service and it was horrible. The manager told me they would compensate me $150. I told him that I at minimum wanted to be refunded the 260 for shipping and assembly. This is two separate issues. The fact that part of my order is still missing and that the guy just dropped my stuff off and left. The manager kept asking what I wanted done, he was so unprofessional. I will never use this company again. If I don't get my item soon I will be disputing the transaction with my credit card company.

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you very much for reaching out. Would you please email us your order details at support@westelm.com and reference this Consumer Affairs inquiry? Our elevated support team is here to help.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

I ordered an outdoor loveseat for my daughter in August. As of September 9 it had not been delivered yet and was showing a delivery date up until October 13 so she canceled the order. They refunded the price of the loveseat, but their policy says they do not refund delivery charges, in my case $172 for an item that was never delivered.

After waiting on hold for over 30 minutes I spoke to a customer service rep who very kindly apologized that she was not authorized to refund delivery fees as per their policy. I explained that the item had never been delivered and she explained that they moved it from a warehouse to somewhere else therefore they have moving expenses. I asked if they had the loveseat in their possession why didn’t they just deliver it to my daughter? She wanted the item. She canceled the item because they said mid October delivery for something she was going to use outdoors in New York.

The customer service lady could not explain why they did not deliver it if they actually had it. But we canceled the order almost a month prior to when they said it would be delivered yet they still charge me a delivery fee For a delivery they never made! Please beware of the exorbitant delivery fees when you order because if you cancel you won’t get it back!

Hi Kimberly,

West Elm author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

West Elm is a branch of Williams-Sonoma, Inc., that was founded in 2002. Ninety percent of their products are designed in-house from organic and sustainably sourced materials.

• Fair Trade Certified™: All of West Elm’s products are Fair Trade Certified™. Fair Trade is a movement that creates sustainable opportunities for workers through trade agreements. A percentage of product cost at West Elm is paid directly to a worker’s fund.

• West Elm LOCAL: The West Elm LOCAL program finds local workers and features their products in West Elm stores. This program builds local economies and grows small businesses.

• Design services: West Elm offers services like room planners, inspiration articles and consultations with stylists and designers. Costs for consultations can vary.

• West Elm blog: West Elm’s blog contains posts about company news, design trends, lifestyles and consumer profiles. The blog also contains links to guest features from publications like Architectural Digest and The Atlantic.

• Brand extensions: West Elm’s various branches include West Elm Workspace, West Elm Hotels and West Elm To the Trade. These groups focus on workspace products, hospitality products and trade deals for brands respectively.

West Elm Company Information