West Elm Reviews

3.3/5 (1166 ratings)

About West Elm Reviews

West Elm Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about West Elm?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about West Elm?

Original review: May 14, 2022

Original estimated delivery by March 31 but never receive the item. Contacted customer service last month, was told will update my order status in 3-5 business days but never hear back from them again. If they are not going to ship my item, they shouldn’t charge my credit card in advance.

Hello Yiling,
Thank you for contacting us. Our elevated support team has sent you an email to the email address provided on your order to further assist.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: May 9, 2022

My partner and I ordered a couch on April 16th and it was supposed to be delivered May 13th - May 30th. Just this past week, we found out that it was going to be backordered a few days (delivered May 16th - June 3rd) which is fine. But now we found out our couch won't get here until June 6th - June 24th. This couch was not our first choice. The only reason we settled on this couch was because it was supposed to be delivered in 4-6 weeks. Or first choice was estimated to have a June 15th to June 30th delivery and we didn't want to wait that long. Now I don't know when our couch will arrive. I've called customer service and they can't provide me with any more information than I already have.

I can't believe I am spending this much money on a couch just for it to be backordered again and again. And again, the whole reason my partner and I didn't get our first choice was because we didn't want to wait this long! We were planning to order more furniture from West Elm once our couch was delivered but with their delivery times, I don't think we will anymore.

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: May 9, 2022

West Elm did not work with me on resolution.

Original review: May 5, 2022

I purchased Ashton outdoor dining table. I won't go into details of the long wait and a number of rescheduled deliveries, we've all heard about the supply chain issues and it's all understandable. After it was delivered to us in the winter we were very excited to use the new outdoor table when the weather got warmer. After a few days of table sitting outside without any use we noticed white spots started to appear randomly all over. The table is black and the white spots are quite large in size and very visible! I wish I could attach the pics so you could visualize. Tried cleaning with a mild detergent per the instructions on the website but to no success.

I reached out to East Elm customer service for further guidance. The response that I got was that we were "not supposed to leave the item in direct sunlight for extended periods of time and are supposed to cover the item or bring it in when it is raining. Because the item was left outside uncovered during the rain, it would have caused warping, etc. which does mean this is not a defect as it was listed in our care instructions."

So... this is advertised as OUTDOOR table. West Elm suggested 1. to bring a 120lbs table inside every time it rains?! 2. not to leave the item in direct sunlight whereas the pics on their website show this table outside in sunlight! This is clearly NOT AN OUTDOOR table and it became defective because it was outside! Of course, West Elm did not take any responsibility and instead let me know that I was not following their direction for the outdoor table that was clearly not meant to be used outside. Also, their strategy is handle situations like this that are frequent based on other reviews here is to apologize, apologize, apologize but really do nothing to remedy the situation.

Hello Vlad,
    I am so sorry for the experience you have had. Please feel free to send your order details to support@westelm.com with reference to Case ID 206604. Our elevated support team is waiting to help you.

Original review: May 5, 2022

I don’t know who else to write to at this point to get this issue resolved. This was an email I wrote to west elm in early April and I still haven’t gotten my issue resolved. This email is to follow up in reference to the issue I have been having with a bed that broke in less than a year after it was delivered. At this point, I am extremely frustrated. Prior to this experience, the West Elm/Williams Sonoma brand was my "go-to" store for my furniture/home needs. We had planned on purchasing the rest of the furniture for our new home from West Elm, but I am having 2nd thoughts about that.

I started this process back in June 2021 when I emailed West Elm customer service in reference to the drawers on the bed that had collapsed. After waiting months for delivery, our bed, amongst other furniture, was delivered and installed by Fidelitone delivery service on January 7, 2021. The bed broke by June 2021. I emailed pictures and went through the required claims process. On August 28, 2021, after my multiple follow-ups and several emails later, a repairman was sent to fix the bed. The same repairman determined that the drawers could not be repaired and the bed would have to be replaced. Again, after several follow-ups, calls, and emails on my part, I was told a new bed was ordered and I should receive it by the beginning of November.

After not receiving the bed, I followed up and was told that someone dropped the ball and the bed was NEVER ordered like it was supposed to. By this point, it was January 2022 and I was told that the bed was no longer available or in stock but that the drawers would be replaced...I patiently waited. I received an email about the delivery that was to take place on March 5, 2022. I noticed that it only mentioned (1) piece of furniture, therefore I took a proactive stance and called to confirm, since we have multiple drawers that needed to be replaced, not just (1). I was advised by the delivery company (Fidelitone) that the whole bed would be replaced and that was the reason the email only mentioned (1) piece of furniture (1 piece=1 bed).

Since they are supposed to be the experts and I am not in the furniture business, I took their word for it. Upon delivery on March 5, 2022, and after emptying out all of the drawers and moving other furniture out of the way, since we were expecting a whole new bed, we were told by the delivery men that they were only replacing (1) drawer! Which didn't make sense because we have multiple drawers that have collapsed and I had made that clear when I filed the claim back in JUNE 2021 and when I called for clarification before the delivery date.

On March 5, 2022, during the attempted delivery (we were advised, by the customer service rep via phone, to refuse the delivery due to the incomplete order). The delivery company spoke with the Fidelitone representative and they took the item back with them. I spoke with Emily, from the delivery company, who stated she would send an email to West Elm stating all the issues I've been having. I also spoke with Audrey, a West Elm representative, who stated she would be noting the account and ordering (4) drawers and following up with me on March 12, 2022, which never happened.

Here we are on April 11, more than a month later from my last correspondence and almost a year since I started this process, and my issues are yet to be resolved. On April 5, 2022, I received an email asking me to schedule the pickup of the drawers from the attempted delivery on March 5th. Those drawers were never dropped off so I'm not understanding what they are supposed to be picking up. I attempted to call Fidelitone but the phone just rang and I was prompted to leave a message, which I did.

Again, I have been very patient throughout this process but at this point, I am in awe with the disorganization and lack of follow-up from West Elm. This is not what I expected at all. I hope you agree with me that this is not acceptable under any circumstances. It's been almost ONE YEAR and my issues have yet to be resolved...we still have a broken bed. It's even more frustrating because the cost of furniture from West Elm is not cheap and I, therefore, expect better quality and response. The bed didn't even last a whole year. The West Elm/William-Sonoma chain is very respectable and we have spent thousands of dollars with both name brands, this incident truly surprises me.

West Elm response
    I am so sorry for the experience you have had. Please feel free to send your order details to support@westelm.com with reference to Case ID 206597. Our elevated support team is waiting to help you.

Original review: May 5, 2022

We purchased outdoor furniture from West Elm on February 25th through our designer, and we have documentation of the purchase. All the purchased pieces said in stock or soon to be in stock. As time has gone by, we have received bits and pieces of the order, benches without the table, cushions without the furniture, and the side tables. Now we are hearing our table is delayed until August, and have received changing stories as to where the rest of the furniture is located. In early April, we received a message from West Elm saying the furniture would be delivered in the next couple of weeks and since, we only received the cushions.

We are so frustrated with the changing timeline because if we knew that they would be delayed until August, we would cancel the order and find something in stock so that we had somewhere to sit this summer. With the changing timelines and partial deliveries, I feel like they keep you on the hook. Also, now we are storing large cushions, without anywhere to put them. How can a company lie continuously to keep people on the hook for purchases without any responsibility and consistent communication? My recommendation is to not ever purchase from West Elm again unless you can see the furniture and have printed documentation that it truly is in stock.

Nancy and Doug

Hello Nancy and Doug,

Thank you for contacting West Elm.

We are truly sorry this has been your experience, can you please send us an email to support@westelm.com with your order number? We would like to take a look at your order and assist you.

West Elm

Original review: May 4, 2022

I placed an order on January 9th for 2 arm chairs. I knew that with supply chain issues they would not be delivered for some time. The initial expected delivery was March 29. On March 29th, the order is updated with expected delivery between April 8-12. On April 4th, pushed back again until April 22-26. Apparently, the products "shipped" on the 18th, and would be ready to schedule delivery between the 4/28-5/2. That is the last update email that I received from West Elm. I called them to schedule delivery and they gave me the number to a local delivery service. I spoke with them and was told that they have not received the items and have no way of knowing when they will. Meanwhile, West Elm has charged my card, then refunded the charge on numerous occasions. The automated West Elm phone line now says the items will be ready for scheduling delivery on May 13.

I knew there would be delays when ordering furniture online but there is a lack of transparency in my interactions with this company. They can't tell you where the products are that were ordered or any legitimate timeframe for when they will be delivered. I would be fine with waiting if I were given the realistic delivery date, instead of it changing 5 times with no end in sight. I obviously cannot speak to the quality of this furniture but the customer service has been subpar.

Hello Rachel,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your order.

I am truly sorry to hear that you are having this experience, can you please email us at support@westelm.com so that we further assist you?

West Elm

Original review: May 3, 2022

We ordered a bed which was in-stock and ready to be shipped to our zip code between 5/9 and 5/23. Once ordered, the email confirmation came back with a September ship date. Talked with Crystal in customer leadership who was incredibly argumentative and was absolutely no help in resolving the problem. They are advertising completely false information on their website to get you to buy the product and then switch to something different once ordered. Bait and Switch. Stay away from this company.

Hi Gary,

Thank you very much for reaching out. Would you please email us at support@westelm.com with your order details and reference your Consumer Affairs inquiry? We are here to help.

Sincerely,
    Kimi T.

West Elm

Original review: May 2, 2022

My husband and I purchased the Glasgow Floating 48 Single Walnut/Dark Gray Open Storage Console for our bathroom. Instead of listing this vanity as "Glasgow" as in the sales listing my email confirmation from West Elm lists this item name as the "Bathurst Floating 48 Single Console." Then, the items that arrived has yet a different name "Goreme-48". Upon investigation this Goreme product seems to be the exact same product as one listed on Wayfair for nearly half the price.

After emailing customer service- they told me it is in fact the EXACT same product as the one listed on the Wayfair site marked up. After pointing out that West Elm has this product as three different names and this seems very deceptive, they told me they don't "price match" and even refused to discount me for the vanity. My husband and I have been long time customers of West Elm are very disappointed to see this, as we have always trusted West Elm and West Elm products and this practice seems highly deceptive and misleading to customers. Shame on West Elm for this.

Hello Joanna,

Thank you for contacting West Elm.

I am sorry to hear about the experience you have had with our company, I am going to email the email address on file in regards to your order.

Original review: April 27, 2022

Starting in December of 2021, a number of items were ordered for a client of mine - for a new household. Not only did many of the items (rugs, bed frames, media console) arrive months later - with no communication, but when they did finally arrive they were either damaged (twice!) or arrived without parts or were the wrong item.

I honest-to-god spent over 25 hours on the phone with either customer service or the delivery company trying to figure out how to get our items that were fully paid for but arriving in pieces or not at all. Notes upon notes were added to our order numbers/account but there was never any follow up and nothing was ever escalated to upper management. I lost years off of my life trying to wrangle products that we spent a great deal of money on....and finally closed communication up after they offered a small discount on a couple of the items. I will never, I repeat, never order anything from West Elm again and I highly recommend people. Avoid them unless you love burning money.

Hello Amanda,

Sincerely,
    Kimi T.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: April 27, 2022

We ordered a 6 drawer MidCentury dresser to be used as a dresser and changing table for our twins. A few months later, a huge crack appeared in the leg of the dresser, which looks like a flaw in the wood that was made worse either by usage or maybe upon delivery--making it unsafe to be used in a child's room or in a home with a child. A few months later we are still dealing with getting a refund or a safe replacement. No fewer than four different agents have said they would provide me with a list of dressers that have safety ratings and that aren't backordered or delayed for several months. Neither of those things have happened. I have a chain of emails going back to December and this broken piece of furniture still in my house--out of the twins' room of course.

I've been told I could get a full credit refund but they can't provide safety ratings for any other piece of furniture for the baby's room. Imagine that--a piece of furniture marketed to a baby's room but no safety ratings provided. Then they said they would refund to the credit card, which has since expired and doesn't exist. They said they can't offer a refund any other way. I would like a full refund in the form of a check and for them to remove this from my home--and for West Elm to acknowledge they're selling dressers that are going to kill a child someday.

West Elm author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

West Elm is a branch of Williams-Sonoma, Inc., that was founded in 2002. Ninety percent of their products are designed in-house from organic and sustainably sourced materials.

• Fair Trade Certified™: All of West Elm’s products are Fair Trade Certified™. Fair Trade is a movement that creates sustainable opportunities for workers through trade agreements. A percentage of product cost at West Elm is paid directly to a worker’s fund.

• West Elm LOCAL: The West Elm LOCAL program finds local workers and features their products in West Elm stores. This program builds local economies and grows small businesses.

• Design services: West Elm offers services like room planners, inspiration articles and consultations with stylists and designers. Costs for consultations can vary.

• West Elm blog: West Elm’s blog contains posts about company news, design trends, lifestyles and consumer profiles. The blog also contains links to guest features from publications like Architectural Digest and The Atlantic.

• Brand extensions: West Elm’s various branches include West Elm Workspace, West Elm Hotels and West Elm To the Trade. These groups focus on workspace products, hospitality products and trade deals for brands respectively.

West Elm Company Information