2.4/5 (991 ratings)

About West Elm

West Elm Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about West Elm?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

This place is a total scam. They are selling furniture they do not have; you order $6k worth of "fast ship" furniture, pay for it, to be sent within 3 weeks, they give you a date. Furniture is still not here after 14 weeks; and now they "lost it". Customer service is absolutely no help, after spending hours and hours on the phone, and they are not willing to compensate for the issues. Absolute scam, do NOT order from West Elm - try Crate and Barrel, they at least have the actual furniture.

Hello Martha,

I am so sorry to hear of the issues you have encountered with your furniture order. I have sent you a private message to further assist.

Warm regards,
Kimi T.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Jan. 17, 2023

We ordered two bathroom vanities for our boys' bathrooms that sustained damage due to a major water leak. Website indicated that the vanities were available. So, we placed our order. Weeks went by, nothing. Then out of the blue an e-mail advising us that there has been a delay and that shipping will be delayed by 6-10 weeks. At this point we should have cancelled but we held out. 7 weeks later another e-mail postponing delivery again! At this time our kids have been crammed in a single bedroom waiting for the vanity delivery before they can move back to their rooms. We figured that we are in it this far to trust West Elm that they will eventually deliver. Well, we just received an e-mail cancelling our order because "the product is sold out"!

Thanks West Elm for providing false hope by 'lying e-mail' after 'lying e-mail' and for purposefully playing 'delay tactics' after 'delay tactics' for your benefit with zero concern for those trusting that you are not another scumbag company only out there for what is best for you. We are now months behind on something that could have been resolved early on if only West Elm would have been a honest company. Shame on you!

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

Very disappointed in the customer service at West Elm in Princeton, NJ. Unfortunately, this is my second time in this store at this exact location with the same experience. Went in this past weekend to look for living room furniture that I seriously thought I would purchase in store after a few questions were answered. I never got the chance to get these questions answered as I was never approached or given a chance to inquire. One saleswoman said hello after I’d been in for about 10min. I asked for color samples and she directed me to the right location to look for them, offered to meet me over in that location shortly, but never showed. As I browsed through the swatches, I was approached by 2 other salespeople who needed swatches for themselves for other customers. I excused myself so they could find what they needed. I was barely given the time of day by the one male salesperson.

The sales lady did ask what color I was looking for and attempted to help find it. When she couldn’t locate the color, the help stopped there. She never inquired about what color family I may be interested in or even what furniture piece I was interested in. This store has multiple color shades available in couches. I’m pretty sure I could’ve been persuaded to look at a similar color and found what I needed had I been helped a bit further. After a second round back to the couch of my interest, there were 3 cashiers behind the desk (all seemingly busy although no other customers were in front of them checking out). Not one ‘hello’ or ‘can I help you’ was offered as I browsed the display directly to the right of the counter. Eventually, I asked for help from a gentleman behind the counter. He did answer a few questions but did not delve any further than what I asked. He then proceeded to ask another group of customers if they needed any help.

So in total, I spent about 20-25min browsing with 4 salespeople interactions in this store and still left with no furniture after I was confident I would purchase something. Let’s be clear, I will not be returning to this location again or recommending it to anyone looking as the customer service is poor. I did consider the fact that I am ** and possibly this was the issue with getting assistance. But I’ve seen other reviews with the same complaints so there’s an obvious problem here that needs to be addressed (from whichever standpoint the issue arises). With so few in-store shopping options available, I would expect customer service at such a “high end” furniture store to be excellent. This was the exact opposite. I’ve received much better service at less expensive furniture stores. I would assume that the staff would be trained to at least attempt to draw people in to feel comfortable looking around and eventually purchasing.

West Elm states that they offer design services and such but simply getting a “hello!” Or “May I help you?” seems to be a bother. I’d leave 0 stars for this review if possible. I have an entire bedroom set and several accent pieces from West Elm which I purchased online (sight unseen) because once again, when I looked in store, I was ignored and never helped. I am very happy with my purchases but completely second guessing ever purchasing from this store again, whether it be online or in store. Do better.

Hello Devon,

I am so very sorry you have received less than stellar customer service. If you need assistance placing an order please call 888-779-5172. They will be able to help and answer your questions at the same time. Kind regards, Tammi

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

A few years ago I furnished my bedroom and office with pieces from West Elm and have regretted it pretty much ever since. There is a reason they don't allow specific product reviews or ratings on their website. The bedframe, (tufted grid in queen), has been the bane of my existence. “White glove” service stripped most of the screws when installing and half of them weren't even seated all the way. So, between 2 moves and significant rigging, the bed is a nightmare of creaks and groans. It's just cheap screws seated in even cheaper particle board. Nightstand legs have warped comically, lamps fell apart within a year and the desk started to lose its finish seemingly on its own. Save your money and buy much cheaper. Forking out the premium here doesn’t get you what it should. Quality.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2023

This used to be a decent company. The last few orders have been miserable. Recently, I ordered a dining room table, chairs and bench. They sent the table (which didn’t function properly), and no chairs and no bench. I’ve tried multiple times (calls, emails, social media messaging - everything). I literally cannot get my product delivered or cancelled. They have basically stolen my money.

Hi Rick,

I will be sending your a private message. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2023

West Elm's business model of selling inexpensive but stylish products produced in East Asia at a substantial markup led me to expect that they would have a great website and we would enjoy excellent customer service. My most recent experience has dashed this expectation. Let me explain. We ordered a small vanity from the West Elm website for our bathroom remodel. The only option presented on the website is "white glove delivery." This turned out to be untrue, and the delivery person just dropped the box off on our wet and snowy driveway, not even alerting us of the delivery with the nearby doorbell.

When we called to complain, hoping to get someone to acknowledge the bait-and-switch nature of the delivery process, instead of getting a "sorry, we should change the website", we got the runaround. Only after 45 minutes did we get bumped to the 'escalation team member' calling herself 'Monique.' Monique treated us poorly, unwilling to look at the website and reacting to us in a very abrasive and rude fashion.

I don't know about you, but getting treated in a condescending and rude fashion by a representative of a company that just sold you a $1200 item that is not so different from what Ikea markets for $300 is hard to take. To make matters worse, Monique treated my wife - a medical provider accustomed to dealing with difficult patients and de-escalating conflicts - in the rudest manner imaginable. After informing her that she was the "last car" on the customer service train and we had no further recourse, SHE HUNG UP ON US.

The West Elm escalation team apparently prides itself on escalating the conflict with customers. And it's their outrageous treatment that has gotten me writing this review today, not the shipping issue. And because I am not prepared to have my beautiful wife treated this way, we've done a little escalation ourselves. We've talked to the manager of the West Elm near us and have attempted to get the regional manager involved (lots of promises of "he's in a meeting and will return your call right after!" that don't yield any call or email.) I hope this review is read by the team at West Elm and influences them to improve their customer service. If not, I hope it gives a tentative customer some realistic idea of how they will be treated when they have a complaint.

Hi Tim,

I am sorry you and your wife received less than stellar customer service. I just sent you an email in response to your complaint. Thank you, Tammi

Original review: Jan. 14, 2023

I ordered a new dresser in January 2022. Expected delivery was April 2022. About a month after placing the order, in February 2022, I received an email that the delivery would be delayed until June 2022. Since then, the dresser has not arrived. I have never received an email since updating on delivery date. Every time I check the order the delivery date is pushed about 30 days, but over a year later, it has yet to arrive. West Elm also will not cancel the order or refund my money. They cannot do so until the dresser docks in the US which they cannot guarantee. This is truly disappointing that the company continues to hold on to my money without a product or any idea when it may arrive.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2023

Andes sofa, delivered 7/20/22, was returned due to quality problems. It's been 6 mos and WE has yet to refund despite at least 10 hrs on phone w/ 10 cust serv reps all claiming I'd be refunded in 3-5 days.

Hello S,

I'm very sorry to hear that you still haven't received a refund for your sofa return. I have sent an email to the email address we have on file for further assistance. We're here to help!

Regards,

Sincerely,
    Elizabeth R.
    Social Media Lead

Williams - Sonoma, Inc

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

I ordered an Andes Pop Up Storage Bed from West Elm in SEPTEMBER and I still don't have it (1/13/23)! They have pushed the estimated delivery date out 4 times now. The bed sat at a distribution center in New Jersey for 2 months and after several calls to find out why it wasn't scheduled for delivery, I was finally told that they LOST one of the main components of the bed! However, they never checked the order when it arrived at the distribution center and only discovered that one of the pieces was missing after I had called several times to check on delivery. They tell me the part will need to be remade from scratch by the international vendor and reshipped. They also tell me that even though this is their mistake entirely, they are unable to expedite that order. Meaning the manufacturing of the replacement part is in line with the rest of the new orders being placed today for new products.

I have spoken with three different customer service reps today alone. And although they were all very friendly and tried their best to be helpful, it appears that the system they use to communicate with each other will not allow them to actually fix this situation. I have received automated emails three times today alone, saying that my order has been placed, then it was cancelled and then it was replaced again and the date keeps getting pushed further and further out. My bed is now not scheduled to be delivered until the end of March!

This entire situation seems absolutely insane to me. I also received a call from the warehouse today saying that they wanted to schedule delivery. When I asked if they had all the parts needed to assemble the bed? The rep said, "uh well no actually." So they were going to try and deliver pieces that cannot be assembled into a bed! I live in a microscopically small New York Apartment. I have no room to store bed pieces that cannot be assembled! But now I am worried that between now and the end of March, when the replacement part finally arrives, they will lose the other parts of the bed. I really doubt I will EVER place another order through West Elm again. This whole process has been absolutely INSANE! BUYER BEWARE!!!!

Hi Kim,

Thank you so much for reaching out. I'm very sorry to hear that you are having some trouble receiving your bed delivery. I've sent you a private message for further assistance.

Sincerely,
    Elizabeth R.
    Social Media Lead

Williams - Sonoma, Inc

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

In December 2022, I purchased the Farmhouse Plaid Duvet King Sham Set and Farmhouse Plaid King Duvet. Both items were on sale, and I paid $116.91. Unfortunately, neither item worked, and I had to return them. I don’t live in a city that has a West Elm store and had to return the bedding via UPS. I understand shipping would be deducted. However, I did not expect to get a return of only $34.97. Shipping was not $81.44. I am extremely disappointed in West Elm and have decided not to do business with West Elm again.

West Elm author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

West Elm is a branch of Williams-Sonoma, Inc., that was founded in 2002. Ninety percent of their products are designed in-house from organic and sustainably sourced materials.

• Fair Trade Certified™: All of West Elm’s products are Fair Trade Certified™. Fair Trade is a movement that creates sustainable opportunities for workers through trade agreements. A percentage of product cost at West Elm is paid directly to a worker’s fund.

• West Elm LOCAL: The West Elm LOCAL program finds local workers and features their products in West Elm stores. This program builds local economies and grows small businesses.

• Design services: West Elm offers services like room planners, inspiration articles and consultations with stylists and designers. Costs for consultations can vary.

• West Elm blog: West Elm’s blog contains posts about company news, design trends, lifestyles and consumer profiles. The blog also contains links to guest features from publications like Architectural Digest and The Atlantic.

• Brand extensions: West Elm’s various branches include West Elm Workspace, West Elm Hotels and West Elm To the Trade. These groups focus on workspace products, hospitality products and trade deals for brands respectively.

West Elm Company Information