1.20/5
Based on 80 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good furniture store?

Last updated: April 21, 2018

103 West Elm Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 21, 2018

I ordered the Eddy Flip Sectional Sofa in 2017, and the item was delivered on 12/27 without any delays. However, the delivery folks noticed that the legs for the ottoman piece of the couch were missing.They said that they would get in touch with their warehouse to request shipment of the missing piece right away. I was told that someone would call me with an update. While someone may have called (I receive many calls from toll free numbers), nobody left a message. After a few days, I received a set of legs that did not fit. I called Customer Service, explained the situation, and I was told that they had no record of legs being shipped but that an order for the legs was being placed.

To make a VERY long story short, it is now April 21st (4 month after delivery of the couch), and 2 more shipments of legs that do not fit (in addition to my having to return ship the other legs and hours on the phone with Customer Service, I still do not have the legs for the couch, and there isn't a good solution in sight. I am not able to speak to a supervisor because each customer service representative states that he/she is not "authorized" to put me through to a supervisor. So far, the delivery fee of $129 has been waived but I have paid for the couch in full. I was told that I would be owed "compensation" of $100 in form of a voucher once the issue has been resolved. However, there appears to no solution. I enjoy West Elm products both for their design and affordability but there has to be a BETTER way to take care of customer concerns.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I bought the Henry sleeper sofa (2-Piece Pull-Down Full Sleeper Sectional W/ Storage) for $2696.93. From day one the lower cushions slide out every time you sit on them causing the upper cushions to slump down. The sections do not fit together evenly and one side is higher in the rear than the other. The couch creaks every time you sit on it and the fabric pills. In my other living room, I have a Crate and Barrel couch that is 14 years old that still looks exactly the same. The Henry couch looks ragged. I am so disappointed and not surprised to see similar complaints about West Elm products. I contacted West Elm and they offered me new inserts at a 15% discount. This will do me no good since the same thing will happen again. This piece is poorly made and I will never shop at West Elm again.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: April 9, 2018

I bought a (Finn) sofa two years ago, right after 6 months the cushions were flattened and out of shape. Also the fabric would attract little piece of the throw and they are all stock to the couch making it look terrible. On top of that every few days I have to adjust the one leg that's loose. I have paid a lot for this and now, I am ready to throw it out. I can ask someone to come in and fix it or change the fabric and the foam itself, but isn't it throwing good money after bad?

Original review: April 6, 2018

This is only the second order I've placed with West Elm and, after the first, I vowed to never order from here again. I should've listened to myself. I placed an order only to be told after the order was placed that the item was back ordered. That was almost a MONTH ago. The estimated delivery date kept getting pushed back and now there's no estimated delivery at all on my order. Haha. I've talked to 4 or 5 different customer service reps (and they've all been friendly), however nobody is able to help with this issue. So, I have a $300 charge just hanging out on my bank account. How does this terrible company stay open?

Original review: March 26, 2018

On February 19. 2018 I placed an Order for the Valencia Set 4, Right Arm Sofa and Left Arm Chaise, worn velvet, in light taupe. Please see the following for a play by play of the proceedings and how West Elm failed: Initial delivery of item purchased and paid for was scheduled for Saturday, March 17, 2018 - nearly one month after I purchased the items. The delivery arrived and they delivered: 1 - Left Arm Sofa - light taupe. 1 - Right Arm Sofa - dark green.

The driver told me when he initially picked up the two items above, he had realized the mistake and contacted the warehouse. The warehouse said that was the order so the driver proceeded with the delivery. He brought these items into my home and I was in complete and total shock. This was not just "wrong". It was the complete opposite of what I had ordered! The delivery driver contacted the warehouse and following that a representative from West Elm called me and said the right items would be shipped and delivered to me by the following Saturday, March 24, 2018. The representative said the sofa would be left at my apartment so I wouldn't be left without any seating. Frankly, I think that was just an excuse to try to put off bringing the items back to the warehouse, but I digress.

I had previously scheduled a housewarming party for more than 50 guests for March 18, 2018. I obviously had to cancel since my apartment looked like a circus of colors. I rushed to cancel catering, pay cancellation fees because my living room looked hideous - absolutely hideous. My entire living room layout was ruined and my grey and white living room had a DARK GREEN EYESORE of a sofa. I had to stare at these wrong items in my living room all week long which only irritated me more than provide me with any comfort. But I was patient and understanding that mistakes happen and knew that I would get the correct items the following Saturday. I rescheduled my party, contacted all my guests. I made arrangements on my part.

Saturday, March 24 arrived. I make arrangements again: I pay for someone to stay at my house and receive the delivery as I could NOT miss work yet another Saturday for a mistake that was no way related to me. As I am leaving my house, the delivery driver arrives. He had absolutely no idea he had to remove the previously delivered sofas. He also brought me a RIGHT ARM CHAISE. AGAIN, the wrong item. He had no apologies, no excuses, except that he was just doing his job. The driver took the green sofa after I insisted and said someone from customer service would contact me.

An entire day went by and NO ONE from customer bothered to contact me. It was written on the delivery receipt which items were wrong, yet customer service didn't bother to call. I took the initiative and called customer at 3:08 PM and spent 44 minutes on the phone with a representative. I had a party to host the next day and again needed to make arrangements to correct the mistake on West Elm's part. The representative kept asking ME for suggestions as to what should be done.

This situation is extremely stressful - I had a party RESCHEDULED from the previous Sunday to accommodate West Elm's mistake - West Elm commits the error YET AGAIN - no one bothers to call me and when I reach out to correct West Elm's mistake - the representative asks ME what should be done. I had a party the following day - I was counting on West Elm's responsibility and commitment to excellent service and was disappointed YET AGAIN. How??? To make matters worse, the representative informed the reason I kept getting the wrong items was because the items I ordered was OUT OF STOCK. With little to no hope of ever getting my sofa that same day, I cancelled my housewarming party. Paid the cancellation fees and was completely and totally embarrassed to inform my 50+ guests that I had to cancel on them, yet again.

Why was I not informed of this out of stock situation back on February 19th when I initially placed the order? Or the following week? West Elm had up to 4 weeks before the initial erroneous delivery to inform me that my item was out of stock. I could have made arrangements, bought a different sofa, not scheduled a party. I could avoided this and not have endured the emotional stress and financial loss. After I couldn't suggest anything to the representative - I don't work with furniture, I work at a law office - she escalated my call to a "lead" and said someone would return my call. This was at 4:53 PM on Saturday. March 24. It has been over 50 hours and no one has contacted me. Two days have gone by and no one has contacted me - Not by e-mail not by phone - absolutely NOTHING. Not an apology, not a solution, nothing.

My apartment looks like a mess - the sofa is in the wrong spot, the chaise is in the opposite spot - the layout of my living room is crowded and wrong. I had to cancel my housewarming party because I am in no mental state to host a party under the extreme stress of having to rearrange everything due to no fault of my own. Why was the wrong item delivered to me not once, but twice? Why am I having to sit here and type this email? Why has West Elm not reached out to me? As per your website, your commitment to your customer are as follows: "Our values come alive in the work we do and in our products—and they live on with you."

The work that has been done by West Elm in my order has been nothing but disappointing, frustrating and downright disrespectful. I am still without the correct item, I am still at a loss as a consumer, my house still looks like a MESS. This has not only cost me financially, but emotionally. It has been extremely stressful. The order was placed over a month ago. The money was deducted from my account right away, in a matter of seconds. It's a simple order, it's a sofa. I am not asking West Elm to fix the country's financial deficit, bring about world peace, or end world hunger. I am just asking for a sofa, the correct one. One that is in stock. One that will match the initial layout of my living room. To make things worse, I am having guests coming from abroad stay with me starting this Thursday, March 29th. What am I supposed to do? How am I supposed to host if my living room looks like a mess? I am still waiting for a callback...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about West Elm?

Original review: March 26, 2018

Completely horrible experience with this company. While the people in the store nice, their delivery company is awful - they don't answer their phone, don’t communicate about your order, and I would particularly caution you about buying if you live in NYC - they seem to have no desire to comply with building hours and insurance requirements, which essentially means you won't get your furniture. On top of all of this, they charged me twice for shipping and now I’m waiting for that to be reimbursed.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I don’t have to words to express how frustrating shopping on West Elm's website is. Products without notice go on backorder and you may not receive it for months. Then certain products you may or may not ever receive. No you won’t be charged if this happens but you won’t be notified either. Christmas I made the grave mistake of ordering gifts from there and it was a total mess. Instead of fixing the problem and apologizing they defend their very off sales practices. I cannot stress enough how insanely frustrating this experience has been.

Original review: March 18, 2018

Sectional Sofa - So much for spending $2500 and expecting quality. Purchase December 2016; frame snapped after a year. I will NEVER purchase anything from West Elm ever again. And I will tell my friends to do the same. Rip off!

Original review: March 17, 2018

When you call West Elm 3 times and ask to speak to a manager and are told there are no managers available, it’s pretty frustrating. No managers in a huge call center? Really? When they tell you that a manager will call you back within 24-48 hours, it doesn’t relieve your frustration but at least there is hope. When no one ever calls you back, you lose total trust in the company. If West Elm cannot even have a conversation with you to hear you out about your concern, then obviously they couldn’t care one bit about their customers. Bye bye West Elm, fade slowly away.

Original review: March 14, 2018

The "salesperson, visual clerk" blonde hair with Tattoo on her neck demonstrated bias treatment to both me and my husband. Attending other while telling us she was busy. Spoke with manager, said he was going to contact regional Manager, have yet to hear back. Also, I constantly receive emails to order an item on my cart, with an attached promo code, but the promo code never applies to what they suggest I order on the body of the email. THERE ARE SO MANY EXCLUSIONS. We have purchased many items for our home from West Elm, and as much as I love the designs of their furniture, their Customer Service leaves much to be desired.

Original review: March 13, 2018

West Elm recently advertised 25% off of any one item purchased in the store. After going through a three-hour decision-making process to purchase, we were informed that the furniture was not on-site and we would have to pay to ship (costing more than the 25% savings). Most disturbing is that this is a pattern. We have been to West Elm three times and this scam has repeated itself three times. Three strikes, you're out.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I purchased the Andes sectional sofa in October 2017. When it arrived in December, I found it very uncomfortable and decided to replace it with the sectional Harmony. I placed the order for the Harmony in December 2017. I was told it will take 6-8 weeks of delivery. Of course that did not happen! It has been dragging for more than 3 months now without delivery. They once sent me an email that the delivery is ready and scheduled a time. On the delivery date, I got a call from the delivery company saying that the quality is not grade A and they can't deliver or provide any more information and I will be receiving a call from West Elm soon to explain.

They didn't call! I kept nagging them for an update, and they kept passing me along between customer service, to the furniture department, to the delivery company. Each time, I was given a confirmation number and I was told somebody would call, which never happened! I've never had such an unprofessional experience in my life! It's been ridiculous and unbelievable! Each time I tell myself that it cannot get any worse, yet it does. Just awful!!!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Last spring, we needed curtain rods for our master bedroom and my wife's office upstate and for two large rooms in our New York flat. We found a brushed nickel rod at West Elm that seemed to suit our needs. We bought one for my wife's office upstate, which I installed myself. Then we bought a long rod for our bedroom, which features a deep staircase under the windows. It's a deep drop onto descending wooden steps, so I hired someone local to install the rod, rings, and curtains last summer. Pleased at first, we ordered the same curtain rods and many more rings for installation in our place in New York.

All told, according to your site records, we spent something more than $563 on five occasions for brushed nickel rods and two types of rings sold with them. (I was told by a West Elm CS person earlier this year that all these orders were consolidated in December 2017 as order no. **, though this does not appear in my WE site account, and I have no idea what the order says.) Before we could arrange for those to be installed, I noticed that every time I drew or closed the upstate bedroom curtains, silver flakes would shower onto the staircase and our bed inside the banister. The rod was shedding paint in big streaks, revealing naked stainless steel. We have young cats that were walking on these flakes and then licking their paws, as cats do.

My wife and I were also breathing the dusty detritus. I became alarmed about the cats, our own health, and the horror of having to replace these things when we had just drilled holes in a difficult-to-reach spot that was perfect for the size curtains that we had just had custom-made for this location. I embarked on what became a fruitless series of calls with West Elm customer service. At first, someone said our problem was freaky and must reflect inadequacies unique to the rod we had installed; there was no chance paint would simply shed, she assured us. She arranged to send a new one, which I installed myself at considerable risk over the stairwell gap, using the original fittings placed by the handyman we hired last summer to install the rod. That's when one of the finials broke, so I couldn't get it to unscrew. Next, the replacement curtain rods started to shed silver paint.

I called West Elm back more than a month ago and spoke on Jan. 17 with a Richard ** in "customer care leadership." We exchanged email addresses, and he was to send me postal clearance to ship the unopened rods in New York back to West Elm for credit. Apologies were not in order, and I never heard from him again. Last week, I managed at considerable risk (using a wrench on your finial) to remove the flaking rods and the rings. All the stuff is arrayed on the floor of my sitting room in New York; I don't have a box to store the 6 tubular rod sections. I must now rehire the handyman upstate to 1) remove the useless West Elm fittings; 2) patch the holes in our hard-to-reach wall; 3) paint the spots; and 4) install the curtain rod and rings we just bought from Crate & Barrel in fresh locations that still enable our curtains to hang decently.

The two cash fees we will have paid him, plus the money we paid West Elm to buy this garbage, will easily have surpassed $800 by the time we are through-probably closer to $900. I sit here in New York with two unopened boxes containing rods, two damaged rods in three parts each, and boxed and bags of curtains rings, some used, most not. Kindly advise what I should do with them. Small Claims Court has become an attractive option. NOTE: There has been no response to my certified, registered letter. CAPTIONS: The first photo is of the replacement rod after a month in which we were away most of the time; the second photo (of three rods) shows what was left of the original rods when I removed them.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I purchased a Quick Ship (not a custom order) Andes 3-Piece Chaise Sectional from West Elm that was delivered Nov 2017. When it arrived the seat cushion was so hard it felt like sitting on a board. I called customer service and they sent another cushion which was more comfortable to sit on. After 4 months of sitting on the couch the cushion has collapsed and left a permanent butt print. I am not a large person. Rather than deal with West Elm again (that is another long and painful story) I took the cushion to my local upholstery shop to have a replacement cushion made, $425 dollars. When the upholsterer took the cover off the cushion the first thing he said was, "Where is the Dacron wrap?" He also explained the quality levels of the foam used to make cushions, my cushion consisted of a poor quality foam and single thin wrap of batting.

I can't say you get what you paid for as I did pay a good price for this couch. This is a good looking couch but the quality of the product used to make the couch is questionable. I also purchased a Custom Order Hamilton sofa and the materials used in this sofa seem to be of a higher quality and is not showing the same wear as with the Andes Quick Ship sofa. I will purchase small decorative items from West Elm because I like the look but will never purchase furniture or bedding from them again.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

Currently on the phone for an hour as I type this. The finish of my $675 kitchen table is flaking off. It is 14 months old and I have heard every excuse from their customer service. I cleaned it wrong, that's normal wear and tear, did you leave it outside, you need to have Furniture Medic inspect it for $150 before we can agree if it's a quality issue, emailing pictures rejected. Still on hold. Flaking at 14 months is indicative of poor workmanship. The finish coating is not adhered to the wood and did not soak into the work at all as apparent by the wood's pure raw color. This is common when the wood is dusty when finish is applied. The finish sticks to the dust not the wood. Still on hold as I type this.

Hello Tanner,

I'm truly sorry to hear you're having trouble getting help with this damaged table. I've sent you a private message with my order details so I can help.

Warm Regards,

West Elm Social Media Team

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

Couch was missing for a month - As I read these reviews, I see I’m not the only one who’s had furniture delivery woes. I should have read these first. We purchased a sectional sofa Nov of 2017. We were told with it would be a 6-8 week delivery time frame and it was due Jan 8-22nd. My husband and I had just bought our first home and were slated to move in Feb 1. Perfect. We thought we may even need to have them hold the couch for delivery until we moved in (LOL). Jan 22nd rolls around with no word from West Elm so I call customer service. Mind you, we also placed another order for a dresser, media console, bar cart and 2 nightstands in that time period, so a lot of money spent with these guys. I get transferred around a couple times and find out the couch now is slated to arrive on or before Feb 8. Ok, well that kind of stinks because we will be in our new home for a week without a couch but I guess we can make due.

I call a couple more times in the next couple weeks just to check on it and also the media console. Customer service told me it is in transit and Feb 8 still is the expected date. However, when I speak with the local furniture delivery for my media console, and ask them to check on the couch they say it doesn’t even look like it’s been RELEASED from the vendor yet! I was told customer service “doesn’t have the same system we have so they don’t see everything we see”. Great, so it’s now the week our couch is supposed to be delivered and we have no idea where it is.

So obviously this sparks concern and also a 3 week back and forth saga with West Elm nearly daily between customer service and furniture delivery. After being told the couch departed from the vendor Jan 24 (3 weeks prior) but not able to locate it, I ask to speak to a supervisor. 2 days in a row go by of customer service telling me a supervisor will call within the day, I finally get a hold of someone the 3rd day. She’s nice, but can’t really seem to tell me any new info. She says she will contact furniture delivery and call me back (I’ve already spoken to these people but ok).

So there we are, a month past the original delivery time frame with no real clue where this couch is. I’m big time stressing, I’ve spoken to probably at least 20 West Elm employees, and memorized the order number. We have been in our new home for weeks sitting in our living room in beach chairs, and we can’t have anyone come visit. Supervisor says she will contact the warehouse in New Jersey, stating it could just be sitting on a truck (great - my $2500 investment is sitting in a cold truck for months). She says she’ll call me tomorrow. No call. I’m so upset at this point I don’t even try to put up a fight and decide I’ll handle it after the weekend.

Lo and behold, last Saturday my husband gets a phone call that the couch is in and ready for delivery! Hallelujah! We received the couch FINALLY but this experience has truly scarred me from buying furniture from West Elm in the future. And it’s a shame because I love the look of their items and I have been eyeing a dining table but I’m just not going to do it to myself. Although everyone we spoke to was friendly, the little information I received varied from person to person and they didn’t really offer anything customer service wise. Instead of feeling taken care of, I was left confused, helpless and defeated. I was able to get delivery charges refunded but for the stress of it all I think more should have been done to try and make things right after spending thousands with this company.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I ordered a Harmony Sofa on Dec 2017 and was told the sofa would be delivered by the end of Feb 2018. I waited two months and found out that the date is postponed to April without any email notification. I called them and was told that part of my order was back-ordered so there is nothing they can do. I decided to be patient and I waited. Then I just checked the status of my order again on Feb 20th and found out that the delivery date is postponed to May!!! Again no notification and no apology. What's worse is that I was told I am not able to return the order! The only thing they can do is to issue credit for my future purchase. This is unethical!!! I don't want to buy from you again so what is the point of giving me West Elm credit! They just promised a delivery date they could never achieve and change the date whenever they like. And return is not allowed! Do not choose West Elm. Any other furniture store would be better than them.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I am not one to complain but am disappointed that West Elm won't replace a cracked leg on my Elton Settee because we bought it more than one year ago. It has only been used for a little over a year and for the price of the settee I would have hoped they would give me a replacement leg. The representatives were polite but told me they couldn't replace it and that I would have to go to a restoration business to have another leg made. I have bought several things from West Elm in the past, but no more. Buyer beware!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

We almost bought a Henry sofa for $699 with a Henry storage ottoman for $299.99 with the President Day coupon code giving us 20% off, and got all the way through a 2-hour decision making process and decided to place the order, only to discover that the promotion code didn't work on either the sofa, or the ottoman, because the sofa was considered "already discounted" and the ottoman was a "final sale item". What's the point of putting a big banner on your website advertising 20% off if it's actually a lie? Furthermore, it turned out the storage ottoman wasn't even going to be the same height as the sofa - it's 2 inches taller. How on earth were the designers so stupid that they couldn't even get the height correct?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

First, let me say that I have never written a bad review in my entire life. This is my first. I am 44 yr old business leader myself and I simply can't believe how bad this was. We bought a couch in October. Didn't deliver as scheduled because they put it on too big of truck. I was told by one of the representatives I called it was my fault. I should have told them they needed a small truck? I will say we have had numerous appliances and large furniture items delivered, and I've never had to tell a company what size truck to use. I had to advocate to get the earliest next delivery, which they scheduled wrong and I had to call back and change. Then they never showed up for second delivery and I had to call them. I had to advocate for myself again to get the next earliest delivery and finally because I honestly had no more days off in the near future had them drop it off when I wasn't home and I had to unpackaged and put the sectional together myself.

They said they would credit me for shipping due to all the issues. But they didn't do that either. I had to call back and advocate for myself again to get that changed. We received double reward points for the couch we bought. Unfortunately, the credit card company screwed up and only sent us single. Long story short when we went to place an order and use them, we were told to go ahead and place the order and when we got the other reward points numbers to call back and they would apply them. I had to call the credit card company and advocate like crazy to the double reward points we were due. Of course I called back when I got them and they then told me they couldn't add them (and the note the customer service representative said she put in the order to make sure I could add - wasn't there).

Not only that, but the customer service supervisor I spoke with didn't even care to hear my story and cut me off when I asked if I could tell my story, she actually said 'I know your story' and proceeded in a way that told me she obviously could care less. Needless to say the most frustrated customer service call I've ever been involved in. I did call another customer service care center of theirs and had a much more helpful call and was treated with respect, but I'm still waiting to hear back from a manager. All in all, worst operations, logistics, customer service experience I've ever had. The number of hours I've had to spend advocating for myself and the level of frustration isn't worth any of the product there.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I purchased a couch on 7/4 (the Hamilton Sofa) which after purchasing was on a backorder until 8/11. Prior to purchasing the couch, I went to the West Elm Store in Boston, MA and confirmed with the associate at the store that the quality of the couch fabric would withstand a dog and lots of use (I specifically asked about peeling off the fabric). I have a friend who had many issues with her West Elm couch fabric being of poor quality with peeling. I was assured that this type of woven fabric would not peel and was very durable.

After having the couch for 4 months, the entire chaise and cushions were peeling to the point where it was extremely noticeable and looked like a poorly made couch (this couch cost $1997.68 after delivery). I called West Elm customer service where the women told that since it was a craftsmanship issue that they would exchange the couch for a different one or credit me back to my credit card and pick up the couch at no cost. This was a very pleasant surprise to me - I spent about 20 min on the phone with the women going through other couches, however, none were the same size (I needed a specific size for my apartment) so the women let me know that then they could credit me.

The couch was picked up on 1/12 and I was told that once the warehouse received the item, inspected it, that then they would give me a credit back to my card (I also confirmed my cc # with the customer service rep at this point). She let me know that this could take a week on their end and then a few days for my credit card company to process. After about 2 weeks of no credit, I called West Elm and they assured me that the credit was being processed. After another week, I called and the women said no one actually processed anything and that they would process the credit back to my credit card and that again I would see the credit back in about a week after my credit card company processed it.

A few days later, I received a gift card in the mail from West Elm with the credit amount of the couch on it. To my surprise, I called West Elm and explained that I did not want a store credit, I wanted my money back. The woman assured me that it must have been a mistake and that the gift card dept would confirm that nothing was spent on the gift card and then within 24 hours of approval, they would credit my card on file. Today (2/16) I called back since I had not heard or seen a credit in a few days and spoke to a woman (Andrea) that tried to put the credit through again only to get a call back an hour later that since West Elm has a 30 day return policy there was nothing they could do and that I would have to keep the credit as a gift card.

As you can imagine, I was EXTREMELY frustrated since this was the FIRST time any representative (of probably 10 interactions) explained to me there is a 30 day return policy. I called West Elm back and was able to get in touch with a supervisor (Julianna) who told me there was nothing they could do and that they have a STRICT 30 day return policy (so strict that every representative I encountered failed to tell me or realize themselves that there was this strict policy in place?)

I explained to Julianna that clearly I would not have returned the couch (I most likely would have sold it on Craigslist) if I knew I was getting a store credit because what am I going to do with $2k to West Elm (mind you this is about the 3rd issue I have had with products from them - I will NEVER purchase anything again and have told this story to all of my friends who have wanted something from them). Julianna told me that her request to have this overridden would be rejected if she put it through. It took about 10 minutes of my arguing and getting very upset with Julianna to put my request through to her manager (who she explained probably won't be able to do anything either).

My note to West Elm is that I will tweet at you, Pottery Barn, your CEO, Williams Sonoma, I will call each week and write letters until I get my money back. I am not dropping this issue because I feel robbed of $2k. At this point, I see it as though you have over promised and under delivered and your customer services reps do not understand your return policy and have completely given me false information until it is too late for me as a consumer. I have never had a worse customer service experience where no one is on the same page, it takes about 10 min every time I call in to speak to someone and just about every time they have to transfer me to someone else because they can't answer my question.

Also, I now realize why you cannot leave reviews of your products on your website because then no consumers would purchase from you if people were able to hear the poor quality of your products and customer service. I look forward to never buying anything from your company again, but I do look forward to hearing back from someone at West Elm that can solve my issue.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Where to start...I ordered a couch and bed frame. In terms of delivery, the gist is that the delivery was late and even after having scheduled delivery (and me taking a day off work) I received a call the day of that delivery needed to be rescheduled. More importantly when the bed was delivered it was missing a piece that now 2 months later still has not been delivered.

On the materials side so far the bed has held up, but the couch... A couple days in I was sitting on the couch, went to adjust myself be leaning on the arm of the couch and my elbow went through the arm (I weigh 165lbs). It is clearly made with some kind of recycled cardboard. A few weeks later I noticed the top of the sofa back had also collapsed. And finally the legs on the chaise have begun to buckle. All in all, the couch is clearly made with cheap materials with no consideration to durability. We have bought other non-furniture items from West Elm which we have enjoyed without issue. I would be very skeptical of their furniture.

Hi David,

Please accept my apologies for any disappointment caused. I have sent you a private message containing my contact information. Feel free to reach out if I can help in any way with your bed and sofa. Regards, -Ramona

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I ordered a dress and sofa on Nov. 27th. West Elm kept delaying estimated delivery dates without notifying me. It seems the only way to get information on your order is to keep checking your order status, no one will contact you. Despite repeated delays, West Elm tried to charge me for the dresser. I indicated that I would be happy to pay once I have confirmation that the dresser is available and ready to ship.

Many weeks later, West Elm notified me that my sofa and dresser were ready to ship. They scheduled an appointment for Feb. 9th and said they'd notify me on the 8th regarding my delivery window. They never called; when I called them, they reported, for no logical reason that I can ascertain, that my entire order was canceled and the items returned to a distribution center. My only option to place an entirely new order. Not only that but West Elm offered nothing for my trouble; no discount, no resolution, no nothing. While I am a big fan of West Elm's products, this incident has resulted in a personal commitment never to purchase anything from them again. They demonstrate absolutely no concern for their customers. Shame on you, West Elm.

West Elm response

Audrey, please accept my apologies for the disappointing experience. If there is anything I can do to help, I have sent you a private message containing my contact information. Feel free to reach out if I can help in any way. Regards, -Ramona

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I bought an end table from West Elm on sale for $80. They shipped me the wrong end table, so I sent it back and they said they would ship me the correct one. A week after the correct one was supposed to arrive, I called them up after not receiving it. Without telling me, they decided not to ship the correct end table because it was no longer on sale and now retailed at $299. I asked them to please ship me the original end table at the sale price since they were the ones that messed up the order. They continued to refuse and offered to sell me the end table for $299 or give me a gift card for $80 to reimburse my old purchase.

I don't want to pay $299 for the end table because it is now worth that much and I really don't want a gift card for there, because I really don't want to do business with them in the future. I called again and asked to speak with a manager, they took my information and said that a manager would call me in the next two days. They never called. West Elm has shown me that they do not care for their customer. I recommend avoiding them if possible, they have made this process very difficult and have offered to do nothing that will satisfy me as a customer.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

2nd terrible experience with this company. Shame on me, but surprised they remain in business because their reputation is plummeting as their competition grows. Ordered online, given reasonably estimated delivery date. Two weeks after estimated delivery date and no still delivery, I sent an official inquiry about status. Zero follow-up or follow-through on claim... no response other than automated response that I'll get one... online, the product went from available to backordered to no longer available during this time. One less customer.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I ordered an ottoman for my son as a gift on January 20, got confirmation, delivery set up & confirmed for January 31 & then on the day before delivery, received a call that they couldn't fulfill the order because they don't have any more in stock. Called Customer Service, asked to speak with leadership team, got offered a 15% coupon off my next order, what a joke. Their inventory was done today & it showed no stock. What a poor excuse. I will never buy another item from this company no matter how much I like their items. My son had the chair & I bought the ottoman online, now an incomplete set & chair can't be returned - it was a final sale. Do not order anything online. Poor customer service, poor logistics in their warehouse & system doesn't work.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

My girlfriend and I ordered a coffee table for our home at the beginning of the month. We went into the store to pick it out and ordered it from there as well, and we were told that it would arrive in 4 to 5 days. After hearing nothing more about it for more than a week, we were later emailed confirmation that the table would be delivered a month from then.

This weekend, the weekend before the delivery was supposed to be completed, we received a dispassionate voicemail letting us know that one of the pieces for the table was missing, and that it wouldn't be available again until MAY, and that the order had been canceled. Any questions I might have (Who wouldn't have "questions" about something so ridiculous?) could be directed to their customer support line. No offer of a refund, no clues given as to what would happen at all.

Since then, I have called the customer support line 3 times. The first time, I explained the situation and to the rep and, without warning, without saying anything at all, she put me on hold for 30 minutes, before I gave up. The second time I called, I spoke again to a rep, who immediately told me she'd connect me to the furniture department and they would help me. After 15 minutes of holding, someone answered the phone and immediately hung up on me. I called again right after that, sat on hold for an hour, and had to get back to work. West Elm, I hope you read these, because I think this is the only way I'll ever get help on this. I want my money back.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

If you have four or more months to wait for furniture, then maybe West Elm is the store for you... We purchased a $2400 sectional sofa on Nov. 24, 2017. No one from West Elm informed us that it would, or could, take 4, possibly more, months to receive our sofa. Originally, we were given Jan 3-17 as a delivery window. We also purchased over $1700 worth of accessories and chairs to match our ordered sofa. So, if you're following along, we are $4100 in on purchases at West Elm. We took home our smaller items the same day and two weeks later picked up our chairs, but it is Jan 25, 2018 and we have yet to receive our sofa. We got an email on Dec 8 pushing our delivery date back to Jan 20-Feb 2. We called to check the status of our delivery on Jan 17 and were told that while one piece was ready for delivery, the main section will not be ready for delivery until the end of March.

So you're telling me we purchased a new home at the beginning of December, moved in and will not receive the main item for our living room until late March?! With no heads up when we placed our order?! Never once did a salesperson in the store tell us that there would or could be delays in our item being delivered. Once we placed our order, the store reps were basically done with us - except to add that all sales are final on our sofa purchase. Also, because we were not notified in a timely manner we are well past being able to return any of our $1700 purchases to match our sofa, even if we wanted to, due to the 30-day window being passed.

So we have lived in our new home basically two months now and have not been able to enjoy our living room or have friends over for housewarming because we are missing the main item of our living room due to West Elm constantly pushing back our delivery date. This is the worst possible customer service and I would never recommend making purchase from West Elm, unless you can take it home directly from the store the same day. Shop at your own risk!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I have contacted West Elm customer service a dozen times on this issue and they are not responding anymore. Twice they promised to send me new core cushions for the sofa I purchased. The cushions have not been sent and now no one will respond to my emails. They asked me to photograph my sofa cushions and the cushions of the sample at the store. I did and set them.

Then they stated that quality control did not have them. I resent them. Then they said they were overwhelmed and I would have to wait. I did. Then nothing. This has been going on since September 2017 and now no one will respond to my last four emails for over one month. What a horrible company. This sofa was advertised as the most comfortable sofa made by West Elm. The one I received is not at all like the sample and is SO uncomfortable. The cushions are flimsy and offer no support. I am in pain after spending some time sitting on it. I want NEW cushions or a refund!!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

The furniture is beautiful however the customer service is horrible. The delivery company that they use is absolutely terrible. I think is the worst company I have ever dealt with in my life. I've spend a lot of money, to get a phone call after a week, to book a delivery date after 2 weeks, and on the day of the delivery (today) I receive a call saying that the truck has broken down so they are unable to deliver it to me. OK. So the next available day is on the 8th of February. More than 2 weeks after the date that I suppose to have my furniture. Also, the delivery company can't say which period of the day they are coming, so I had to take the whole day off from work, so I'm losing money. And I've planned to send away my old dining table, so I have receive my new dining table today. And guess what. Now I've just lost a day at work, and more than 2 weeks without a table to eat!!! It is just unbelievable.

I've called the customer service and they are very sorry but there's nothing they can do. I have placed another order (1 week ago) which I still didn't get a phone call to arrange the deliver. And unfortunately I still have to buy another furniture. I'm already looking to spend my money somewhere else. Dreadful customer service. Terrible delivery logistics and customer service. They are very sorry but nothing they can do. Just avoid...

West Elm expert review by ConsumerAffairs

West Elm is a branch of Williams-Sonoma, Inc., that was founded in 2002. Ninety percent of their products are designed in-house from organic and sustainably sourced materials.

• Fair Trade Certified™: All of West Elm’s products are Fair Trade Certified™. Fair Trade is a movement that creates sustainable opportunities for workers through trade agreements. A percentage of product cost at West Elm is paid directly to a worker’s fund.

• West Elm LOCAL: The West Elm LOCAL program finds local workers and features their products in West Elm stores. This program builds local economies and grows small businesses.

• Design services: West Elm offers services like room planners, inspiration articles and consultations with stylists and designers. Costs for consultations can vary.

• West Elm blog: West Elm’s blog contains posts about company news, design trends, lifestyles and consumer profiles. The blog also contains links to guest features from publications like Architectural Digest and The Atlantic.

• Brand extensions: West Elm’s various branches include West Elm Workspace, West Elm Hotels and West Elm To the Trade. These groups focus on workspace products, hospitality products and trade deals for brands respectively.

• Best for: West Elm is best for businesses and consumers who want to support local workers and Fair Trade with their purchases.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs