1.31/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

276 West Elm Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I ordered a nursery set on September 3, 2018. My pieces were supposed to be in stock between mid-October and mid-November. I received confirmation that all pieces arrived at the warehouse in early November, but when scheduling the delivery the warehouse said a trailer never arrived that West Elm insisted did. West Elm kept telling me to contact the distribution hub and the distribution hub kept telling me to call West Elm. No one seemed interested in helping resolve the concern, just blaming others.

After at least 15 hours on the phone with West Elm and the hub, they finally called to say everything was fixed in mid-January. We scheduled delivery, however when the truck arrived they only brought one item. The guy said the manager would call me, but no one did. I finally got a hold of someone who rescheduled the delivery for me. They rescheduled another delivery two weeks later (and we had to take off work again) only to have them bring more items, but one of which was totally wrong! So again, I call both the hub and West Elm customer service. Apparently they labeled a piece of Pottery Barn patio furniture with my name on it, and didn’t notice for over 3 months that it wasn’t a glider. They reordered the piece without contacting me, and I got a random auto generated email receipt saying my piece would be ready in mid April, after my due date.

When I called customer service they were condescending, saying my issue was simple, a chair was lost and needed to be reordered. When I requested a discount of 5% off per month it was late, they said they don’t discount items for the inconvenience a buyer has or delayed delivery. The representative said he had no supervisor and there was no process for filing a complaint about the customer service team. He refused to provide any compensation for the multitude of calls and literal days spent on the phone. I ended up canceling the item with nothing to show but frustration and sated energy. I cannot believe they can do this to customers! I paid in full 6 months ago, and was going to carry a baby to term faster than they could get me my furniture!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Ordered two chairs in November and was finally told they would be delivered on February 2. When the truck arrived, only one chair was in the van. I immediately called customer service and was transferred to the furniture department, which disconnected me before I could speak to anyone. It took multiple emails and over ten phone calls before I finally reached someone, who told me the chair had just been mislabeled and was at the warehouse after all. They arranged to have it delivered... two weeks later. Finally, the day before the delivery, I get a call from the warehouse and a very rude woman said, "Yeah, we don't know what this order is. Never seen it before." She then hangs up on me.

I call customer service again, and am put on hold for over an hour before I finally reach the escalation department. She calls the warehouse and is told that yes, the chair is there, that it will be delivered the next day as promised, and that she would call me to confirm in the morning. Morning comes and goes, no call. Delivery window comes and goes, no chair. I call the escalation specialist and she checks into it; turns out the chair was never there, and that they went ahead and ordered me another one that would "be here in three weeks".

By now, I'm furious, and ask what they are going to do to make things better. The best they offered was 15% off, which was the exact same amount I got off back in November when I ordered the chair. Needless to say, I canceled the order completely, and will never shop at West Elm, Pottery Barn, or any of the other crooked chains in this dysfunctional family of stores!

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I placed an order on July 28, 2018 and received part of the order on February 15, 2019. After 7 months of waiting the order arrived incomplete, there are lost items and they do not know what is going to happen with my order. I have been paying punctually since November 2018 for an order that I still do not receive and West Elm did not know when I could receive the missing items.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I ordered a concrete coffee table in 2017 and was told 2-3 weeks delivery. It took several months. It developed spider cracks over the entire top and I contacted the company...multiple times. I was told to send photos (after a lengthy time) and I did. Then nothing! I contacted them many times until finally they offered me an exchange. Not wanting to deal with the same issue I declined. It took multiple phone calls and emails to have it picked up. That was three months ago. Everyone is always sooo nice on the phone, apologizing for delays etc. What they don't do is fix the problem. I don't want a store credit, I want a refund.

I spoke with at least 10 people (after lengthy holds and transfers) and was told by all, including one supervisor, that I would get a refund. No refund. The latest supervisor now says "no refund, store credit only." What BS! This is 4 months after my first phone call. And to talk to her supervisor, well you put in a request and wait 24-72 hours for a return call. Given that the last first supervisor never called back when she said she would, I don't have much hope that I'll get a call. The product was of very poor quality, was overpriced, and they don't stand by their sales. Give it a pass.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

West Elm has by far the WORST customer service. I placed an order (not a special order) which I subsequently needed to amend 3 minutes later due to an employee mistake. I was told this was not possible. I could not cancel the order as it was already “processing” for an item with a scheduled delivery date 1 month in the future! They said I could return the item when it arrives in a month but I will lose the shipping costs. I talked to my local store, I talked to the manager of that store, they called their dedicated store ordering line, and finally just told me to call customer service on my own. Customer service is a complete JOKE. They couldn’t be less helpful. I have been a loyal shopper for years, but never again. Take your money elsewhere. I know this will be my LAST time shopping with this retailer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about West Elm?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

We have had our ottoman for about 18 months. Within the first 6 months, one of the legs kept coming loose. We were sent replacement legs, but the problem appears to be inside the ottoman - screw is too short and slips from the leg. Customer service said that since it was not an issue in the first 30 days we are out of luck basically. I am a Trade member and have ordered over $10,000 in products over the last 2 years - you would think they would replace this after the same leg fell off 4 separate times and it is not fixable. I will look to CB2 and other companies from now on.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

West Elm: The Company of Contradictions. List of contradictions: I was told when I purchased my custom order couch in store that the delivery service would remove my old sofa and put in my new one. NOT TRUE! Upon delivery, I was told that this was not the case by the delivery man who is a saint named Larry. He was great and deserves to work for a better company. I can’t imagine how many times he is left apologizing to customers of West Elm.

I was given a delivery window (printed on my receipt) for the couch delivery. NOT TRUE! The delivery window was pushed back to a later date and I was NEVER NOTIFIED of this. So I had to do some research to find that the delivery window was indeed changed at some point in time. Who knows when this happened, but why would I need to be informed as the customer, right?

I was told in an automatic reply email sent by the customer service department at westelm.com that they “will reply to most messages within 48 hours.” NOT TRUE! I sent two e-mails and NEVER heard back from them. I still to this day have no response. *Oh, they did charge me for my couch within 2 days of sending the first email. NOT SHADY AT ALL.

I signed up for a delivery window spot on a Sunday (very convenient) with a specific delivery window. NOT TRUE! I received a phone call two days before my “delivery” that Sunday is actually not an option and the woman was very confused as to why the system lets people sign up for Sunday delivery. So I signed up for an option that didn’t exist. I rescheduled for a different delivery day and was given a specific delivery window. NOT TRUE! The delivery service showed up to my house 2 hours early without warning.

I called customer service in a fury upon delivery and was told that I would be refunded for my delivery fee. I left the conversation somewhat satisfied that someone somewhere seemed to care about this horrible service. NOT TRUE! I received a phone call about 5 minutes later from the customer service number. They left a voicemail that this was in fact, unfortunately NOT TRUE and that they are actually not able to refund my delivery charge.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I generally not write reviews for the CS, because it's always an average/good experience. Well, not the case here. I bought the decor item to put on the wall. That specific color was out of stock, so I was informed to wait for about a month, which I was ok with. After one month I didn't receive any updates and I wrote to CS and asked. I got the response that it won't be available until next month. OK. After one more month, I received an item, and it was the wrong color.

I wrote to CS again and asked for the exchange. They agreed but did not send me the return label. I emailed again and then received the return label. I returned the item and received the one I actually purchased. Great, although it came in in USED condition and looked nothing like a picture. I was already mad at that point and email again asking for a refund. They said they'll provide the return label for me to ship it back, and guess what? They never did. So I had to email again and ask for the label.

I immediately sent it back and since then 1 month later I still did not see any refunds on my bank statement. I emailed and been told that I have to wait for another week or so. Eventually, I received a MAIL from them with the gift card inside, instead of the cash return! I was extremely mad at that point. I emailed them saying that I don't need the gift card and would like to be refunded to the original form of purchase. They agreed and said it will take up to 7 business days. After 7 days I emailed and they replied that it will take another 14 business days. Long story short, I had to wait for 1 MORE MONTH to finally see the credit on my bank account. This is insane and I never had such an experience with any other company. Will never buy a thing from them ever in my life!!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

West Elm has the worst customer service. I bought a dining table from West Elm on Dec 16, 2018, it's been more than 1.5 months and I have not received the item yet. But my credit card has been charged with the price of the dining table. Numerous phone/email conversations with the customer service over the past month has not resolved the issue and I have no idea how I can either get the table delivered or get my money back. I bought a dining table from West Elm on Dec 16, 2018, it's been more than 1.5 months and I have not received the item yet. But my credit card has been charged with the price of the dining table. Numerous phone/email conversations with the customer service over the past month has not resolved the issue and I have no idea how I can either get the table delivered or get my money back.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

We ordered 6 frames from West Elm and we love the look of them. They are very pretty and clean. However, installing them was quite a nightmare. On the back of each frame, the two hooks to hang the frame on the wall are not aligned horizontally or vertically. Therefore, in order to properly measure to hang them, you have to measure each hook separately. Also the template they provided, would never work because of this reason and was not even the same size of the frame. Since all 6 were wrong, we didn't want to return them and get new ones because we were worried they would be wrong again. We went through the activity of measuring every single one. It took about 4 hours to hang 6 pictures!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I ordered 2 end tables and a tall chest for a guest room in October and still haven't received it!!! Beyond frustrated! Do not order anything from this store! We also ordered a small kitchen table for our apartment in NYC and went into the store to place our order. The sales person was very nice although said nothing about it being back ordered. It took 3 months to come in!! They delivered 5 chairs and no table and then when we inquired, they told us it was backordered. DO NOT buy anything from this store.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I ordered furniture in November. DOUBLED CHARGED IN DECEMBER for 2 chairs. Countless emails, calls to customer service. No resolution. Contacted my credit card company to dispute charges. Still waiting on my final delivery (Landry Bench). Had to call 5 different numbers to find out when it will be delivered. Come to find out, still not shipped. Btw, still waiting for resolution on me being overcharged. Countless hours, countless calls - NO RESOLUTIONS.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I found this sofa on the Apartment Therapy website sofa rating story and knew I had found the sofa of my dreams that fit in my tiny living room. I ordered it the same day and according to the site, expected a 2-4 wait time. The next morning an email from West Elm was waiting on me saying that the sofa was in stock and to choose a delivery date. I could have chosen delivery within 5 days of my order, but I chose a later date for my convenience. Through this period, I was regularly notified as the delivery date got closer of the time of day it would be delivered. The delivery driver called when he was about 30 minutes away. The two delivery guys brought in the sofa, put on the legs, took out the trash and put the sofa where I wanted it. They were in and out in less than 20 minutes. I LOVE the couch! I will order from West Elm again.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

My item (a dining table) was scheduled to be delivered today, 1/10. First I called to schedule the delivery. That went fine. Then I got an email saying the delivery was canceled. Then I got an email saying the delivery was scheduled. For some reason, my street name was very misspelled on the email confirmation, although it was correctly entered by me when I made the order. The morning of the delivery, this morning, I received a text message from the company that said the delivery would occur in 30 minutes and it said, "Do not reply to this message." The delivery team (I suppose the driver) also sent me a text message saying they were arriving soon. They did not ask me to reply. So I did not reply.

Now they say I missed my delivery (my husband was home waiting) and they cannot deliver today. I called the delivery scheduling line at 888-922-4119 and they told me I needed to speak with West Elm customer service. I was transferred to West Elm customer service where I spoke with a rep who said I needed to speak with the scheduling people. She was unable to assist. Also, she seemed angry at me. There are lots of places to buy an inexpensive mass produced dining table from with (hopefully) better service so I am canceling my order.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

BE WARNED! DO NOT BUY ANY FURNITURE FROM WEST ELM. We purchased Cast Trestle dining table during Black Friday sale. Confirmation email said it will be available latest 12/15/2018. Two weeks later, the order status page changed latest availability date to 01/07/2019. During this time we called several times to check the status, and no one was able to tell us anything. It seems they completely lost control over when the item will be available from their vendor. On 01/05/2019, we called and again they still don't know when the item will be available. It's obvious they have no control over their furniture delivery quality.

After more than one months of waiting without status update, we can only imagine there is no guarantee we will ever receive our table and cancelled the order. Note. One representative made a new order for us during one of the inquiry calls for free, because they thought the order was stucked somehow. The availability date was set to 04/12/2019 (more than 3 months away). It feels almost like a fraud where they take your money but do not guarantee your item will be available.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

DO NOT ORDER FROM WEST ELM!! CUSTOMER SERVICE WILL NOT HELP YOU. Their products look really nice but don't be deceived. You will ALWAYS pay through the roof for shipping because nothing ever seems to be in stock in the store. Want to return something or resolve a problem? Be prepared to be told "we can't help you" or wait 1 hour on the phone just to speak to someone. Have had multiple terrible experiences with this company -- keep trying to give them a chance and I've finally had enough. WORST WORST WORST company I have ever dealt with. Also, quality is comparable to Target. Don't be fooled by the prices. It's all crap and they apparently have zero desire to help their customers.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Worst customer service ever. I’ve spent thousands of dollars there between shopping online and going to the Princeton Marketfair store. I love everything in the store. When I made a massive purchase of multiple large mirrors, wall art, and other small pieces of furniture over the summer, I had tons of problems. No free shipping. I tried to order things in the store - many things were unavailable and items on the floor could not be sold to me.

When I opened one of the mirrors I ordered, it was cracked. I called the store and was told to bring it back in and have it reordered. When I managed to get it back in my car and drove all the way back to the store, they gave me a hard time about returning it and told me no one in the store would have told me I could return it. They eventually replaced it after days of going back and forth over the phone. Other things I ordered - paintings, a coat rack, even the replaced mirror - were chipped and damaged, but I didn’t even bother contacting them again.

For Christmas this year, my significant other ordered me some items and paid to have them gift wrapped. When he picked them up, they were not wrapped. He was told that they don’t offer that service. When I went to exchange a few of the items he bought me (but didn’t want to ask him for a receipt) I was told they will take nothing back without a gift receipt and will not even give me store credit. After spending thousands of dollars there, I earned a $15 reward, which has since expired! They are awful! So many of their employees have been rude and unaccommodating. It’s not even worth shopping there. I’m looking for similar things to the ones I wanted at other stores so I don’t have to shop there again. What a terrible way to treat loyal customers.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Without a doubt the worst experience I have ever had. Order this Zane Media Cart on Dec 16th. Was supposed to be delivered on Dec 19th, never arrived. Then was told it was expedited and would be here before Christmas, another lie. Received tracking number and shipping email from West Elm, UPS never picked up, West Elm can't tell me why it has not shipped, nor will they cancel order. Rude customer service people and poorly trained. Told me they would search dock for missing item would take 7 days, really. I will never order from them again. Once this is resolved will close out my West Elm account forever. Oh by the way they charged my account when I placed the order. So they got their money and I got nothing. Stay away from this fraud of a company.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I ordered a crib, conversion kit, mattress and double dresser with a changing topper in mid October - the crib, conversion kit and mattress arrived, but the dresser was scheduled a couple of weeks later. My daughter and husband happily put up the crib for their February delivery. As time has drawn closer to her due date, the delivery time has changed from November, to late December, to January - mid February and when I called they now say April!!! I mean does one really have to wait 6 months for a dresser to be made?? When I go on the website it says if I order the same thing today it would be ready for delivery February 16 2019 - So now what take apart crib, return it, cancel the rest of the order and go to Restoration Hardware??? This product is made in Vietnam so before order your furniture from West Elm that it may be months and months before you receive it!! So disappointed!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

West Elm furniture looks good and is tasteful. However, it isn't comfortable. Our problems really started when we returned an item. I can say it's barely 3 months later and I don't have my money back. Moreover, I have spent over 2 hours on multiple calls and holds. An absolutely terrible experience with customer service. I will never buy anything from them again.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Awful customer service, I placed an order for a Christmas tree Nov 19th, estimated delivery was Dec 5th. After multiple emails and calls I was given no answer as to why my tree hasn't been delivered and was told if I wanted to cancel I could. Fast forward to yesterday when I finally gave up and tried to cancel my order (which still read "in process" with no delivery date). I received an email letting me know that wasn't possible, and yet again no clear answer on when the tree would be delivered. Today after talking to one lovely woman I was told she put in a request for the cancelation, wonderful, only to receive a voicemail a couple hours later letting me know that wasn't possible and the tree would be delivered December 26th. You can't make this stuff up. Absolutely horrid customer service. Happy holidays. Never again, West Elm.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I moved into a new home recently and decided to get several new pieces from West Elm as their local store has nice pieces and the aesthetic for my style. I ordered two bed frames, dining room table and chairs, a rug and a shelf desk on November 16th with an estimated delivery days of early December. To start, nothing showed up in early December. After multiple phone calls, I managed to schedule delivery for one of the bed frames, the dining set and the desk today. The bed frame showed up missing side rails, which now need to be re-ordered, expected delivery mid-January. The other pieces have not been scheduled yet, a full one month after order and several weeks after estimated delivery date.

When I call customer service, I spend at least half an hour on the phone waiting for updates or more information, invariably the person is located somewhere else and cannot provide useful information, and has no ability to find an answer or follow up. In contrast, everything that I’ve ordered from All Modern has shown up quickly, on time, and in great shape. I will never buy from West Elm, Williams Sonoma or Pottery Barn again.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

First of all, the shipping date for the order I placed kept changing every single day. I have ordered another item before, and I have double confirmed that my address was correct. However, I never received the item like I was suppose to yesterday because the address was incorrect. I have contacted UPS and they have confirmed to me that the street name was missing a few words, therefore the driver could not locate the address and failed to deliver the item. I have took time off work to be at home yesterday awaiting the package. Not only did I lose valuable work time, I have no furniture, and now I have no idea when it will be delivered.

1.) Stop using UPS for home delivery because there's no way anyone can track the delivery timeframe, also for people living in condos and apartments, it's a nightmare. Please use delivery service that will contact the customer beforehand or allow the item to be left without signature. 2.) Please please make sure to confirm the shipping address is correct!!! This is common knowledge and I'm shocked my address was incorrect. 3.) Provide a better customer service care, I'm tired of hearing "that's nothing I can do". It's your fault, so yes you need to do everything you can to fix the problem.

4.) Your furniture department is a mess, since I can see that most problems are with delivery, you need to make changes to your management. I'll never shop at West Elm again, and I would advise anyone ordering their furniture to never use West Elm, I don't want you to go through what I'm going through. I also had an extreme hard time with my couch delivery as well.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Before you buy from West Elm this holiday season please consider my experience purchasing ONE ITEM. Issues with my Order: (Keep in mind that every one of these issues has required at least 3 phone calls before progress was made.) I ordered the Art Display Coffee Table on October 7th and waited over a month before they scheduled delivery. I called West Elm to change my delivery address, but the customer service rep I spoke with must not have actually changed it in their system because it was still delivered to my old address.

When the Art Display Coffee Table finally arrived it was DAMAGED and instead of the WALNUT wood display, I received a piece of WHITE PLASTIC. Numerous calls were placed to rectify and replace the damaged and pick it up. I was told that the new coffee table would be dropped off when they picked up the damaged item, but a week later they only PICKED UP THE DAMAGED ITEM, BUT DID NOT REPLACE. I was then told my replacement coffee table was put on hold -- the customer service rep could not explain why this happened, but assured me they would contact for delivery soon, THEY DID NOT.

I called several more times to figure out how I could get the coffee table delivered and I was told it would be coming in the mail this time, but of course it didn't. I had to make numerous more calls before the coffee table was actually sent, but my issues don't stop there... I received TWO COFFEE TABLES so now I am again forced to call West Elm Customer Service, who assured me that UPS would be getting in touch with me to schedule pickup -- THIS STILL HAS NOT HAPPENED.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I ordered the metal curtain rod in gold and in the process of installing it one of the brackets broke. I called customer service to ask that they send another bracket. They stated that you have to send the original back to them. I explained it was partially installed and I would have to remove it from my walls making more holes and making it more difficult to re-install. They stated they would not send another until the whole thing was returned and they had the product. I explained we would like to get our curtains hung and don't want to have the additional time waiting, just dispatch the item now. They refused and would not let me talk to a supervisor. I sent an email complaining and am going to wait to see if anyone else responds before removing this from the wall.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

My experience with WEST ELM has been horrible and a nightmare to say the least. Last week during Black Friday/ Cyber Monday deals, I signed up for the credit card and was interested in buying curtains. I went to the store in Summit, NJ two times to place the order because I was hoping for them to look me up so I could use the West Elm credit card and earn rewards/ reap benefits with free shipping. I went to the Summit, NJ store two times. The first time, I was in the process of ordering the curtains when the sales associate went on break in the middle of it. The next sales associate said, "Yes we do not have the item in the store," and THEN WALKED AWAY. I stood there completely dumbfounded as I was in the process of already ordering it. I then called the customer service line a few hours later and they stated they couldn’t help because I didn’t have my card from West Elm in hand.

A glutton for punishment, I went back the next day again to try to get the best of the deal and again I was ignored and left completely in disbelief how little this store care about their customers. I called back customer service today to explain my situation again and now that I received my card would like to place the order. Also the current coupon code stated that it was expired. They stated that the store and online are two different things and that they can “honor” the current coupon code however I will still have to pay shipping so what was originally $250 total with taxes will be $350 with taxes.

They were unable to assist me with the issue and asked me to reach corporate. I thought I was speaking with corporate this whole time. I have never ever experienced such ** service and have no understanding why they even are in business. I have shopped at William Sonoma, Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn and never experienced this. I will never spend a dime here nor any of their sister stores. JUST ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED BY THIS WHOLE EXPERIENCE.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

We ordered this couch specifically to have weeks before Thanksgiving. They moved the ship date back twice without ever notifying us, leaving us stranded without a couch for over a month now. After being in touch with Customer Service AND the parent company, still no word on when it can be shipped. After many phone calls and emails now they are saying part of it is missing. It's been one month after the original ship date was supposed to be and still no word. This is on top of the original 6 weeks it takes to make the couch. So insane that they have this level of customer service sharing a parent company with Pottery Barn. Extremely frustrating.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Placed an order for the Vertical Gramavox record player in late September because the products actual site said shipping would take longer. Woohoo I thought, I found it on West Elm's site. Not really. I have had holds for $600 go on and off my card since then- it's been 3 months and the product is never shipped so the holds expire and they say my card was declined, so I call back to give them my CC #, hold goes on and stays on for a week then the same ordeal.

Not ONE person returned my calls or emails as they said they would follow up, or even answer my questions would tell me to call again, or that the manager was assigned to watching it. Bottom line- 3 months after an order I was supposed to get in a week or so and it's now sold out on the companies site as well so thanks to West Elm I don't know when I'll get it. Idiots.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

This all started on September 27, 2018 when I went online to purchase two Audrey nightstands. I placed the two items in my cart and went to check out but it kept giving me a system error. I tried checking out twice with no success so I decided to call the customer service number for assistance. The representative help me place the order and all was good. Later on in the same day I realized that the nightstands had gone on sale so I call back to see if I could get the sale price in which the representative was very helpful and gave me a credit of the difference which was $171.04. The nightstands were to be delivered October 2 but there was a slight delay. Once they were finally delivered to my surprise the UPS driver brought six nightstands. I told him I did not order six. I only ordered two.

Apparently the two orders that I attempted to place online actually went through. He said I could refuse the other four which is what I did however I was charged for all six. What should have been a simple fix turned out to be a nightmare. I filed a dispute with the credit card company but was unsuccessful with that. For the past three months now I have been going back-and-forth with West Elm customer service to try to get this issue resolved and have still been unsuccessful. I was issued two refunds in the amount of $760.18 both which were later reversed.

Shortly after I received a refund for $345.53, $103.66 and another one for $294.53. I was told that I will also be issued a refund in the amount of $333.29 and also another one for $294.58 which equals a total refund amount of $1,371.62 which is still short $148.74 of the $1520.36 that I’m owed. I ended up having to write a letter to corporate to get the issue resolved. Nothing in West Elm store is worth what I had to go through And Comenity Bank is the worst credit card company to deal with as they only protect the merchant not the cardholder.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

This was my first experience with West Elm and I have to say that I'm not pleased at all. I've had the type of issue that others would like to have. 11/25/18 I made a $5,700 purchase. Keys was the sales associate. I had a pleasant experience that day and was happy after we submitted our order. I was comfortable at home prior to heading to the store and was going to place my order online. The ONLY reason why I decided to head into the city was because I wanted to make sure that my order would not ship for at least 2 weeks (the apartment I'm moving to is undergoing renovations). I was told this would not be an issue. On 11/26, I received an email from West Elm indicating that one of the items had shipped. On 11/27, I called West Elm to ensure that the items would not be delivered because the apartment was not ready and the contractors could not have items while they were doing the floors. I was promised this would not be a problem.

On 11/28, I received another email indicating that other items had shipped. I immediately called West Elm again. I was told that there was nothing they could do about items that had shipped and that I would need to call UPS. Therefore, I called UPS and provided tracking numbers. UPS mentioned that they could not help because the sender had restricted everyone from modifying the destination and timing. As such, on 11/29 I spoke to Jay from West Elm who told me that he would call UPS. He promised to call me back but never did. I then realized that UPS had a membership to their "UPS My Choice" which gives paid members the ability to redirect or delay the delivery of packages. I immediately paid and became a paid member. I attempted to log in online and stop the package but wasn't allowed.

After calling UPS again, they mentioned that the sender had placed a block and would not allow me to redirect the package. I immediately left work and walked to the store to seek help. I met with Keys again and reminded her that I had specifically requested items not be shipped out for 2 weeks. She stated that was not something she could control. After a while, she called a customer service representative who asked to speak to me. I spoke to Shannon. I explained everything to Shannon who suggested I become a UPS MY Choice member. I explained I already was. Eventually she said she'd call me back the next day after getting leadership involved.

Friday, 11/30 I received emails stating that 8 big boxes had been delivered and left in the front door. I tried calling the superintendent of the building to see if he could help and keep the boxes somewhere, but there was no common spaces available. It's a fire hazard to have these boxes in the hallway in the building for a long period of time, yet there was nothing that anyone would do about it. I had no option but to rent a U-Haul truck to move these boxes. I literally had to carry every box (Some weighing more than 20 pounds) one by one out of the building, onto the truck and up the stairs to my parents' apartment. Friday night, after moving the boxes to my parents' apartment, I get a call from Shannon who gives me good news. She had worked with UPS to return all items back to the warehouse until further notice.

Today, 12/3/18, I received an email from UPS stating that I would be receiving a package. Apparently the coffee table was delivered. This is a 78 pound package just sitting on my front door. I thought I would not be receiving any packages for at least 2 weeks, yet now there's another box there. I'm not sure why I paid $456.66 for shipping & processing. I literally paid for shipping and asked to not deliver for at least 2-3 weeks, and then ended up having to pay to rent a U-Haul to drive a truck in NYC traffic to move the boxes out of the way.

To make things worse, I now have a 78 pound box sitting in front of my door. I don't live there and the contractors cannot have these boxes in the apartment at the moment. I'm tired of being on the phone with West Elm. The customer service I have received since the first call I made on 11/27 is truly unacceptable. All I get is apologies every time something goes wrong. I cannot afford to rent another U-Haul to move the box sitting in front of the door, and I cannot keep spending hours on the phone if there will be no resolutions. I'm extremely dissatisfied and upset and don't ever plan to shop at West Elm again.

West Elm expert review by ConsumerAffairs

West Elm is a branch of Williams-Sonoma, Inc., that was founded in 2002. Ninety percent of their products are designed in-house from organic and sustainably sourced materials.

• Fair Trade Certified™: All of West Elm’s products are Fair Trade Certified™. Fair Trade is a movement that creates sustainable opportunities for workers through trade agreements. A percentage of product cost at West Elm is paid directly to a worker’s fund.

• West Elm LOCAL: The West Elm LOCAL program finds local workers and features their products in West Elm stores. This program builds local economies and grows small businesses.

• Design services: West Elm offers services like room planners, inspiration articles and consultations with stylists and designers. Costs for consultations can vary.

• West Elm blog: West Elm’s blog contains posts about company news, design trends, lifestyles and consumer profiles. The blog also contains links to guest features from publications like Architectural Digest and The Atlantic.

• Brand extensions: West Elm’s various branches include West Elm Workspace, West Elm Hotels and West Elm To the Trade. These groups focus on workspace products, hospitality products and trade deals for brands respectively.

• Best for: West Elm is best for businesses and consumers who want to support local workers and Fair Trade with their purchases.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs