1.25/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

297 West Elm Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 19, 2019

My saleswoman was wonderful. After waiting 6-8 weeks for my ‘custom’ made couch to be delivered I received half of the cushions I ordered and the other half were a different material! I have called West Elm and Williams and Sonoma, the saleswoman was not available, and I was told to email some strange address to which I received a response 4 days later. The response I received was, "We will contact you in 5-7 days." I haven’t heard anything since. I was charged a decent amount for my couch and I had to pay $300.00 to have it shipped. West Elm has nice stuff but their customer service is terrible and so is their response time. Absolutely no personal attention. I’m sorry I purchased my couch through this company.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Purchased a floating wall shelf from West Elm and had it delivered to my home. Item received does not match the product description or the photo - those show a dark walnut shelf with black brackets, item received was a medium brown shelf with silver brackets. While trying to return the item for what I feel was a misleading representation of what I ordered, spent over an hour talking to multiple agents, only to be told I can't receive a full refund. Despite the misleading description, I am responsible for shipping charges and my net refund will be less those costs. Not sure how it took an hour to arrive at a less than satisfactory resolution. I won't shop here ever again. Save your money and shop elsewhere.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I have bought quite a few items to furnish a new home in the last six months and my daughter has too for her home. They claim on their website a flat rate shipping charge of $199 for furniture and other items which sounds great BUT recently when I tried to buy a collection of outdoor furniture for a few thousand dollars they told me the shipping would be $525. That's outrageous. Have they not heard of free shipping? What does a flat rate shipping charge of $199 mean to them? I thought the more I order the better the shipping deal. Not true. You would think they would welcome someone purchasing items costing thousands, but no, not West Elm. They would not lower the shipping cost below the $525. I called several people regarding this. When I ordered one dresser I had to pay $199 and so I did. But that doesn't work in my favor now. You can't have it both ways West Elm.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Customer service at both Pottery Barn and West Elm is horrendous. Multiple furniture orders have been completely botched. I waited 10 months for a chair ordered for my nursery. Another order was completely wrong on $5000 worth of merchandise. With every phone call to customer service you get a different runaround. Clearly it is not the fault of the people on the phone but the company for not investing in proper training and not caring enough about their customers to provide good service. Terrible experience. Shop elsewhere.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I ordered 2 curtain rods in December and I received 2 curtain rods however when reviewing my credit card statement I noticed I was charged twice so I was charged for 4 rods. I contacted West Elm and was told no problem they would process the refund so I waited. I never received the refund so I contacted them again and was told it takes more time so I waited. I contacted them today and they won't give me my money back that they stole from me... I have to dispute it with my credit card company. I was on the phone for more than 45 minutes to find this out. West Elm is as low as you can get... They owe me 126.80.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about West Elm?

Original review: April 4, 2019

I ordered a console and 'matching' bookshelf. When I looked at the price, the free ship code was not honored. On the 4th email exchange with a different person each time, I asked for it to be honored or I needed to cancel my order. I was told 4 times, by 4 different people they cannot apply codes after purchase. I said I did add the code, it was apparently West Elm's mistake. I woke up to an email by yet another person, saying after looking more closely at my order, furniture is not covered under the free ship code but they were able to cancel one of the items. This is 12 hours, but one item was too far in the delivery system to cancel. Had I known furniture was not part of their well advertised but sneaky free ship promotion, I would not have had a problem in paying the one shipping fee.

I asked them to please reinstate the order of the matching bookcase to at least have the bulk ship fee. The 6th or 7th different person said they cannot do that - I would have to reorder and pay another shipping fee. I asked to please speak live with a person regarding this. I was answered yet again by another person that asked what time would be good to call. I gave her a 4-hour window. You guessed it - no call. There are many things that were sour and way too time-consuming about this experience - all having to do with subpar customer service. I nor my 8 young adult children will never be shopping at West Elm again... Too stressful and time-consuming to support a company that really just does not care about their consumers.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I ordered a sofa on 2/16, checked on 3/14 and was told it was not processed, no call, no e-mail, no nothing. On 3/14 I was told that I would receive a call from the home delivery department to schedule delivery. No call, nothing. I called two days later and no one can give me a status nor explanation, only an apology. To date, the sofa is now apparently not being delivered until end April/beginning May while I was told it was ready.

Trying to speak to a supervisor is not possible as I have left numerous requests for someone to call me back to no avail. When I am transferred from 3 different department to supposedly a supervisor extension, I receive a recording that the department is closed. I do not expect this from West Elm, I expect this from a mom and pop store. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING THAT IS NOT IN STOCK OR IN THE STORE!!!! I am cancelling my order and shopping elsewhere and will use social media to spread the word.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I purchased a Sebastian armchair and West Elm decided to ship it out using UPS. Never heard of furniture being delivered by UPS. The doorbell never rang and my neighbor told me a large box was left in my front yard on a busy street. The box was picked up by strangers who drove off with my $400 chair. I called West Elm as I was very upset and they told me to take it up with UPS and file a claim. I am now out $400, have no chair and have to go through the headache of UPS claim processes. Really surprised by the poor customer service. Will not be shopping here again. It's too bad because I actually called hoping to get help and what I received instead was a "not my problem."

Original review: March 28, 2019

My wife and I visited the local West Elm retail store in Mill Valley on a Friday, and ordered and paid for outdoor furniture. The only piece the store had in this collection was a small table. We viewed it to confirm the color of the wood. When we returned home, we decided that the finish would not go well with our existing outdoor furniture, so I called the store the next day to cancel the order. Confusion at the store, so I called again the next day and was told someone would get back to me ‘right away.’ Nothing. Called each of the next two days, and was told the manager was ‘working on it’ and would call me. Nothing. Finally called customer service, four time over the next ten days. Each time I got a different explanation for why the order had not yet been cancelled.

Today I spent another 25 minutes with CSR, who still couldn’t confirm or explain why the cancellation had not been completed. Entered a complaint/chargeback with my credit card bank. In addition to not having any of their outdoor furniture on display at any of their stores in the SF Bay Area, they now show the same collection at a significant discount. They are inducing the customer to order online, pay the freight on an item that exists only in the virtual world, and then pay to have it returned if it doesn’t meet your expectations. Very shoddy business practices.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I have had several unsatisfactory customer service experiences with West Elm, but this last one is the final straw. I will use up any credit I have and never, ever use or recommend them again. The whole story is long and painful, but in a nutshell: I ordered a sofa, chair and ottoman in November for a client who had just built a house. It was to be delivered in 8-10 weeks (custom fabric). After 3 months and hearing nothing I contacted West Elm in January I believe and learned that the fabric had been backordered and the sofa would not be delivered until March, almost 5 months after it was ordered.

At this point, my client had moved into her new home and had no living room furniture. She had decided she would cancel her order and find another sofa set. West Elm agreed that if she continued with the order she would receive a gift card of $300 for all of the inconvenience (the entire set was about $2,300 on sale) after it was delivered. I asked for an assurance several times that this would happen and was assured it was in the notes and would definitely happen. She and her supervisor promised! The sofa was finally delivered and had several bad snags in it. The deliverer called West Elm, sent photos, and they offered to refund her 10% if she kept the sofa which she did.

Today, March 28 I called West Elm to ask about the gift card that was promised to compensate for the sofa being delayed 3 months and was told that because the other compensation was accepted (for the snags) the gift card (for the delay) was overridden by upper management and would not be issued. I was shocked and dumbfounded. I talked with Mitchell **. (he would not give me his last name) badge number ** who said he was the final word on this and that they can only compensate once and there will be nothing more coming. He also stated (in his arrogant, sucks-to-be-you voice) that they had no obligation to notify the customer of this over-ride. He admitted that when my customer called about the snags and was offered the discount that she should have been told about this, but, oh well, they didn't mention it and too bad.

I responded, "Let me get this straight, I (my customer) was promised a gift card; they accepted a discount for the snags; which was less money than the GC, they were never told the GC was cancelled by "upper management" (I was ready to puke if I heard that one more time) and West Elm has NO responsibility to keep their promise when my customer originally wanted to cancel the order until the CG was promised?" Yes, that's exactly right he smugly told me. I asked, still in disbelief, "So, a West Elm representative and her supervisor can make a promise, perhaps one they shouldn't have, and West Elm has no responsibility?" Yeah, pretty much that's it. NEVER AGAIN.

West Elm is dead to me (except for all the bad press I will give them and my diligence in persuading all of my friends and colleagues to never use them. Use Wayfair. Or Hayneedle. Or your local, reputable furniture store. I highly recommend Flexsteel products which quality furniture stores offer. Truth be told, West Elm's quality had diminished over the years anyway. Sucks to be them.

Original review: March 27, 2019

West Elm will sell you something on a Thursday, then have a huge discount for that weekend but will not honor the pricing. They'll ask you to return your items and purchase again which is so inconvenient for everyone involved. However, I was going to do just that, return my items and then repurchase at the discount. This is where it gets even shadier, they purposely delayed it until the sale had ended and now I couldn't get the discounted price anymore. I've been shopping at West Elm for years and half my home is West Elm and I'm sad to say this has pushed me over the edge and I will no longer shop with them.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Sales and ordering the couch was fine. Delivery was ok. Couch arrived with a snag on the cushion. Customer service called me and told me to upload photos. This was done on 3/15 and til now there is still no resolution. Every time I call in the, the person on phone transfers me to another department. It just feels so unorganized.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Good afternoon, my name is Asia ** and I am West Elm Card holder for over two years. I have been trying to get in contact with the company regarding my dissatisfaction with furniture. I purchased an Andes sections in mid 2017. A couple of months later I realize that the upholster was poorly made. The zipper of the pillows were poorly attached, the pillow stuffing on the top layer of the pillows were of poor quality. I went into the store numerous times to voice my complaints and was told someone would get back to me. No calls were ever followed up.

I continued to do my research and see that a number of customers have written into the company with the same sentiments. I ever tried to reach out via social media. I see that the company has no department that even follows up on compliments. In addition, though my research I notice that a lot of people have just decided to reach out to the news outlets and public publications. I too will be doing the same. The amount of money customers dish out to purchase your products, it makes no sense that there is not a repair department or a compliment department to assist customers. I will also be reaching out to the Better Business Bureau.

It’s not like my compliments are recent. I have been complaining from the start and now here I am having to purchase a new sofa due to the poor quality of the very expensive one I purchase. I will be forwarding this email to all home décor publications, news outlets and review sites. If you wish to talk to me to come up with some sort of resolution please do not hesitate to contact me.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I bought a $1.500 dining room table and after 2 years (used very little) the wood top started to crack open. West Elm replaced it but now not even three weeks later I already have 2 cracks. The wood obviously has not been worked properly. It is made in India I believe. I can't get my money back. A store credit for such a large amount I would not be using.

Original review: March 10, 2019

Buyer Beware:@westelm does not care about their customers. They do not carry major items in store and will charge you an to ship to store or home. Shipping takes 3 weeks, in which time, they will not price match current prices, even though you have not received the item. Try to return and repurchase for the new price? They’ll charge you to cancel the order and then charge you for shipping again. I will not be shopping there again.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Never trust West Elm. I ordered a rug mid-October. It was back-ordered. Showed up the end of November, except it wasn't the rug, it was someone else's table. I got West Elm to pick up the table from my house as it was too heavy for me to lift and ship myself. They tried sending the rug again; it ended up in a different state to a previous address I no longer live at (I also never placed the order with this address). Finally I said I'd like a refund to my credit card because it wasn't worth all the hassle. Was told I would get one. Waited. Called back. They were waiting for me to return the rug I never received. Was apologized to. Waited. Called. Waited. Emailed. Waited. Get merchandise credit. Emailed because that type of refund was not what we agreed on. Waited. Emailed. Waited. Emailed. Waited. New email as of this morning. Hounding them down to get this refund has been a giant pain and I will never, ever, order from them again.

Original review: March 7, 2019

DO NOT EVER order wallpaper from West Elm! I ordered 8 total rolls. 2 of the 8 rolls were the complete wrong color/defective. I had already put up 6 rolls when the last 2 we opened were the wrong color. I returned the 2 to West Elm and waited over 1 month for the next 2 to arrive. When they did they were defective too. This process happened 4 times and each time the item was the wrong color. Each time I had to call customer service and wait for too long to try to talk to someone who could help me get the correct wallpaper to match what I had on the wall.

The customer service is awful, you never get a clear answer and basically give you the runaround. After almost 5 months of waiting & after the 4th delivery was wrong again, I called again waiting on the phone for almost 2 hours to speak to someone in Leadership/customer care. To be told they can only reimburse me for the 2 defective wallpaper. They could not reimburse me for the 6 on the wall. It is absurd I have to pay for their defective product and mistake! I had even been told from another rep I could get my money back and then never heard from her again. It seems when they do not deliver a quality product or defective product, the customer is just left to have to accept it! I have been told multiple times that I would get a call back from someone and each time I get nothing. BEWARE of their business practices and all the other reviews that seem to say something similar. No wonder you can't leave reviews on their website!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Updated on 03/27/2019: Never received a call back after my many phone calls and emails. 3/1/19 my husband and I went into the store and talked to the store manager. We explained what was happening. He was EXTREMELY nice and really wanted to help us. He told us he would contact corporate and find a solution. I left there feeling so much better. 3/6/19 I get a call from the store manager that he is having Pauline ** from corporate contact me. 3/6/19 Pauline calls me and tells me to send more pictures. 3/7/19 I send the pictures to Pauline. She confirms that she has received the pictures and that she will review and get back to me.

3/11/19 I call Pauline for an update. No response. 3/14 /19 I call Pauline and ask for another update. No response. 3/20/19 I email Pauline asking for a response. 3/23/19 I get a response from Pauline that West Elm does not cover pilling of their fabric and that they would send me a complimentary fabric shaver. I feel so taken advantage of. What a waste of our hard earned money and time. This is a 3 month old couch that looks 10 years old!!! It looks so bad that we have it covered with blankets. The sad thing is we choose West Elm because we thought they had good reputation. Turns out they don't. After googling West Elm fabric I found that many others have had the same issues as I have. I guess I know why you don’t have reviews of your products online. So disappointing!

Original Review: One nightmare after another... We bought the Drake sofa the end of October. They assured us we would have it by by Thanksgiving or the first week in December. Well Christmas was coming and we were having a houseful. The sofa showed it was in Salt Lake but the warehouse could not deliver it until after Christmas. We have a truck so I begged to let us pick up the sofa ourselves. After talking to several "manager" we were given special approval to pick up.

We picked up the sofa on December 19, 2019.

By mid January the fabric looked 10 years old! It is piling and sagging. On February 9, 2019 I called the City Creek store, since that is where we ordered it. I was given a customer care number to call. I called that number only to find out it is just for store associates. I called the store back and was given another number. It took about 45 minutes to file a report with a very nice customer service lady. She said I would receive an email with instructions on sending pictures in.

On February 14, 2019 we still had not received the email so I called again. The report never got filed?? Really? Another 30-45 minutes and I filed a new report and immediately got the email. On February 16, 2019, I sent the pictures as instructed. On February 20, 2019 I had not heard anything so I resent the pictures as instructed.

February 25, 2019 STILL had not heard anything. I called the direct line that was given to me on February 14, 2019. That line is for Pottery Barn shipping issues. NOT West Elm. Got transferred to West Elm. That was the wrong department. Amy said she would stay on the line to get me to the correct department. She just transferred me to The wrong area. That person.. Didn't get his name.. Transferred me to a rude woman in the Southern CA area. Also the wrong area but she assured me that she found my emails and sent them on to Northern CA which is the correct area. This ordeal was 36 minutes. What a waste of time!!! February 27, 2019. Still no response. No resolution. At this point I just want my money back and don't want to deal with West Elm, Pottery Barn or William Sonoma EVER AGAIN!!! We bought a West Elm couch because we wanted a quality product and excellent customer service. So disappointing!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I ordered a blanket using key rewards and a credit card. I didn't receive the blanket and the status showed as In Process. After waiting quite some time, I called to determine the hold-up. The problem was that one of the rewards had already been used. They never notified me there was a problem. Not once. I called to find out, then later decided to proceed with the order, called back and gave my credit card number. I heard nothing. I called to check on it today and they have a record that I called and gave my card #, but no order was placed. I give up. I'm waiting on a refund for a return sent early in the month and am concerned I will need to gear up for a fight to get my money back. And fight I will. I will not shop with West Elm again. There are too many companies who care about customer service to spend money with one who doesn't.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I purchased a coverlet and sham that I returned five days after having received them. Two weeks later I realized that I hadn't yet received any acknowledgment of the return, nor a refund. Thus began what would become my part-time job for the next six weeks: calling West Elm customer service, telling my story, being assured that my refund would be posted within 5 business days -- only to call again, and again, and again. Speaking to "a supervisor" didn't help. Calling daily didn't help. Finally I began calling their corporate HQ in San Francisco and sending nasty emails with "Thieves" in the subject line to customer service. After another two weeks I finally received my refund. I will NEVER EVER purchase anything from West Elm again. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I never write reviews, but the customer service saga that I've been dealing with for two and a half months needs to be shared! Last August, I reached out to West Elm about a defective couch that I had purchased and they agreed to exchange it for a new one. They could not honor the original price, so I waited until I had a coupon and bought the new couch in September. I paid $3,882. They delivered the new couch and picked up the old one on the same day - December 1st. This is when the problems began!

Two weeks after the couch was returned, I called to see when my refund would be applied to my West Elm credit card. They had NO RECORD of the returned couch and the amount of money I was due. I was transferred and accidentally hung up on, and no one called me back despite having my number on file. I had to call again the next day and ended up spending an hour and a half on the phone with them. The rep said she initiated/released the refund and it should appear within a few days. At this point, I thought the issue was resolved.

Two weeks later, I still did not have a refund, so I had to call customer service AGAIN. The new rep didn't have notes in my file so I had to go through the entire story a second time. I spoke with Carol ** and at the end of the call she gave me her extension and told me to call her directly if I didn't see the refund check in the mail in 3 weeks.

Oddly, about 3 days later I received 2 merchandise credits (not a refund check). I called Carol directly and expressed my frustration that I did NOT want store credit and instead wanted my almost $4,000 refund applied to my credit card bill! At this point, I had already missed a payment on my credit card because it was taking so long, and was subsequently charged interest and a late fee. Carol was able to issue a $200 credit against the new couch order that I could apply to those fees.

Fast forward another two weeks, and the merchandise credits still had not been applied to my credit card bill! Exasperated, I called Carol back and she wasn't sure why that department hadn't applied them yet. Clearly the departments within West Elm do not talk to each other and speedy issue resolution is not a priority!

It is now February 23rd. The merchandise credits were applied to my credit card bill, minus $100. Why would they not apply the last $100 of the credit to my bill?! Additionally, I have a $380 balance of interest and late fees that I should not have to pay given how long it has taken West Elm to resolve this issue! But every time I talk to Comenity Bank, they say there is nothing they can do. They refunded me $56 (the most recent late fee + interest).

At this point, I am so tired of dealing with West Elm customer service, I will probably have to pay the remaining $380 myself, which I am so angry about! I will not be buying anything from West Elm any time soon as I have been so soured by this experience. Fair warning to anyone out there considering making a big furniture purchase - expect to have issues that take months to get resolved!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I ordered a nursery set on September 3, 2018. My pieces were supposed to be in stock between mid-October and mid-November. I received confirmation that all pieces arrived at the warehouse in early November, but when scheduling the delivery the warehouse said a trailer never arrived that West Elm insisted did. West Elm kept telling me to contact the distribution hub and the distribution hub kept telling me to call West Elm. No one seemed interested in helping resolve the concern, just blaming others.

After at least 15 hours on the phone with West Elm and the hub, they finally called to say everything was fixed in mid-January. We scheduled delivery, however when the truck arrived they only brought one item. The guy said the manager would call me, but no one did. I finally got a hold of someone who rescheduled the delivery for me. They rescheduled another delivery two weeks later (and we had to take off work again) only to have them bring more items, but one of which was totally wrong! So again, I call both the hub and West Elm customer service. Apparently they labeled a piece of Pottery Barn patio furniture with my name on it, and didn’t notice for over 3 months that it wasn’t a glider. They reordered the piece without contacting me, and I got a random auto generated email receipt saying my piece would be ready in mid April, after my due date.

When I called customer service they were condescending, saying my issue was simple, a chair was lost and needed to be reordered. When I requested a discount of 5% off per month it was late, they said they don’t discount items for the inconvenience a buyer has or delayed delivery. The representative said he had no supervisor and there was no process for filing a complaint about the customer service team. He refused to provide any compensation for the multitude of calls and literal days spent on the phone. I ended up canceling the item with nothing to show but frustration and sated energy. I cannot believe they can do this to customers! I paid in full 6 months ago, and was going to carry a baby to term faster than they could get me my furniture!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Ordered two chairs in November and was finally told they would be delivered on February 2. When the truck arrived, only one chair was in the van. I immediately called customer service and was transferred to the furniture department, which disconnected me before I could speak to anyone. It took multiple emails and over ten phone calls before I finally reached someone, who told me the chair had just been mislabeled and was at the warehouse after all. They arranged to have it delivered... two weeks later. Finally, the day before the delivery, I get a call from the warehouse and a very rude woman said, "Yeah, we don't know what this order is. Never seen it before." She then hangs up on me.

I call customer service again, and am put on hold for over an hour before I finally reach the escalation department. She calls the warehouse and is told that yes, the chair is there, that it will be delivered the next day as promised, and that she would call me to confirm in the morning. Morning comes and goes, no call. Delivery window comes and goes, no chair. I call the escalation specialist and she checks into it; turns out the chair was never there, and that they went ahead and ordered me another one that would "be here in three weeks".

By now, I'm furious, and ask what they are going to do to make things better. The best they offered was 15% off, which was the exact same amount I got off back in November when I ordered the chair. Needless to say, I canceled the order completely, and will never shop at West Elm, Pottery Barn, or any of the other crooked chains in this dysfunctional family of stores!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I placed an order on July 28, 2018 and received part of the order on February 15, 2019. After 7 months of waiting the order arrived incomplete, there are lost items and they do not know what is going to happen with my order. I have been paying punctually since November 2018 for an order that I still do not receive and West Elm did not know when I could receive the missing items.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I ordered a concrete coffee table in 2017 and was told 2-3 weeks delivery. It took several months. It developed spider cracks over the entire top and I contacted the company...multiple times. I was told to send photos (after a lengthy time) and I did. Then nothing! I contacted them many times until finally they offered me an exchange. Not wanting to deal with the same issue I declined. It took multiple phone calls and emails to have it picked up. That was three months ago. Everyone is always sooo nice on the phone, apologizing for delays etc. What they don't do is fix the problem. I don't want a store credit, I want a refund.

I spoke with at least 10 people (after lengthy holds and transfers) and was told by all, including one supervisor, that I would get a refund. No refund. The latest supervisor now says "no refund, store credit only." What BS! This is 4 months after my first phone call. And to talk to her supervisor, well you put in a request and wait 24-72 hours for a return call. Given that the last first supervisor never called back when she said she would, I don't have much hope that I'll get a call. The product was of very poor quality, was overpriced, and they don't stand by their sales. Give it a pass.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

West Elm has by far the WORST customer service. I placed an order (not a special order) which I subsequently needed to amend 3 minutes later due to an employee mistake. I was told this was not possible. I could not cancel the order as it was already “processing” for an item with a scheduled delivery date 1 month in the future! They said I could return the item when it arrives in a month but I will lose the shipping costs. I talked to my local store, I talked to the manager of that store, they called their dedicated store ordering line, and finally just told me to call customer service on my own. Customer service is a complete JOKE. They couldn’t be less helpful. I have been a loyal shopper for years, but never again. Take your money elsewhere. I know this will be my LAST time shopping with this retailer.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

We have had our ottoman for about 18 months. Within the first 6 months, one of the legs kept coming loose. We were sent replacement legs, but the problem appears to be inside the ottoman - screw is too short and slips from the leg. Customer service said that since it was not an issue in the first 30 days we are out of luck basically. I am a Trade member and have ordered over $10,000 in products over the last 2 years - you would think they would replace this after the same leg fell off 4 separate times and it is not fixable. I will look to CB2 and other companies from now on.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

West Elm: The Company of Contradictions. List of contradictions: I was told when I purchased my custom order couch in store that the delivery service would remove my old sofa and put in my new one. NOT TRUE! Upon delivery, I was told that this was not the case by the delivery man who is a saint named Larry. He was great and deserves to work for a better company. I can’t imagine how many times he is left apologizing to customers of West Elm.

I was given a delivery window (printed on my receipt) for the couch delivery. NOT TRUE! The delivery window was pushed back to a later date and I was NEVER NOTIFIED of this. So I had to do some research to find that the delivery window was indeed changed at some point in time. Who knows when this happened, but why would I need to be informed as the customer, right?

I was told in an automatic reply email sent by the customer service department at westelm.com that they “will reply to most messages within 48 hours.” NOT TRUE! I sent two e-mails and NEVER heard back from them. I still to this day have no response. *Oh, they did charge me for my couch within 2 days of sending the first email. NOT SHADY AT ALL.

I signed up for a delivery window spot on a Sunday (very convenient) with a specific delivery window. NOT TRUE! I received a phone call two days before my “delivery” that Sunday is actually not an option and the woman was very confused as to why the system lets people sign up for Sunday delivery. So I signed up for an option that didn’t exist. I rescheduled for a different delivery day and was given a specific delivery window. NOT TRUE! The delivery service showed up to my house 2 hours early without warning.

I called customer service in a fury upon delivery and was told that I would be refunded for my delivery fee. I left the conversation somewhat satisfied that someone somewhere seemed to care about this horrible service. NOT TRUE! I received a phone call about 5 minutes later from the customer service number. They left a voicemail that this was in fact, unfortunately NOT TRUE and that they are actually not able to refund my delivery charge.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I generally not write reviews for the CS, because it's always an average/good experience. Well, not the case here. I bought the decor item to put on the wall. That specific color was out of stock, so I was informed to wait for about a month, which I was ok with. After one month I didn't receive any updates and I wrote to CS and asked. I got the response that it won't be available until next month. OK. After one more month, I received an item, and it was the wrong color.

I wrote to CS again and asked for the exchange. They agreed but did not send me the return label. I emailed again and then received the return label. I returned the item and received the one I actually purchased. Great, although it came in in USED condition and looked nothing like a picture. I was already mad at that point and email again asking for a refund. They said they'll provide the return label for me to ship it back, and guess what? They never did. So I had to email again and ask for the label.

I immediately sent it back and since then 1 month later I still did not see any refunds on my bank statement. I emailed and been told that I have to wait for another week or so. Eventually, I received a MAIL from them with the gift card inside, instead of the cash return! I was extremely mad at that point. I emailed them saying that I don't need the gift card and would like to be refunded to the original form of purchase. They agreed and said it will take up to 7 business days. After 7 days I emailed and they replied that it will take another 14 business days. Long story short, I had to wait for 1 MORE MONTH to finally see the credit on my bank account. This is insane and I never had such an experience with any other company. Will never buy a thing from them ever in my life!!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

West Elm has the worst customer service. I bought a dining table from West Elm on Dec 16, 2018, it's been more than 1.5 months and I have not received the item yet. But my credit card has been charged with the price of the dining table. Numerous phone/email conversations with the customer service over the past month has not resolved the issue and I have no idea how I can either get the table delivered or get my money back. I bought a dining table from West Elm on Dec 16, 2018, it's been more than 1.5 months and I have not received the item yet. But my credit card has been charged with the price of the dining table. Numerous phone/email conversations with the customer service over the past month has not resolved the issue and I have no idea how I can either get the table delivered or get my money back.

West Elm expert review by ConsumerAffairs

West Elm is a branch of Williams-Sonoma, Inc., that was founded in 2002. Ninety percent of their products are designed in-house from organic and sustainably sourced materials.

• Fair Trade Certified™: All of West Elm’s products are Fair Trade Certified™. Fair Trade is a movement that creates sustainable opportunities for workers through trade agreements. A percentage of product cost at West Elm is paid directly to a worker’s fund.

• West Elm LOCAL: The West Elm LOCAL program finds local workers and features their products in West Elm stores. This program builds local economies and grows small businesses.

• Design services: West Elm offers services like room planners, inspiration articles and consultations with stylists and designers. Costs for consultations can vary.

• West Elm blog: West Elm’s blog contains posts about company news, design trends, lifestyles and consumer profiles. The blog also contains links to guest features from publications like Architectural Digest and The Atlantic.

• Brand extensions: West Elm’s various branches include West Elm Workspace, West Elm Hotels and West Elm To the Trade. These groups focus on workspace products, hospitality products and trade deals for brands respectively.

• Best for: West Elm is best for businesses and consumers who want to support local workers and Fair Trade with their purchases.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs