1.48/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

212 West Elm Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I ordered the Emerson dining table on 8/25/18. Was supposed to be delivered on 9/8. The delivery was canceled without my knowledge and rescheduled for 9/11. The table was delivered damaged. When I called back I was told that I would have a replacement table delivered on 9/25. Never happened, instead they sent someone to repair the table, I told them I wanted a new table. I was told that I would have a replacement by 10/2. I have been calling customer service since and all they can tell me is the order is in process. Customer service is terrible, no one seems to know anything, keep getting transferred or hung up on. It is 10/16 and I still have no idea when I will get my replacement. My card was already charge the $850.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

West Elm's customer service and reliability just keeps getting worse and worse. I purchased almost $5,000 worth of furniture and decor via Havenly's design services from West Elm. It is way past the quoted arrival date and I cannot get anyone to respond to either me, or the Havenly rep. Apparently it can take up to 5 business days to get a response? This is unacceptable. I purchased and paid for these items in early August and I have no idea if/when I will receive them at all. One person has apparently stated my items are on backorder, and "they don't know" when it will be available. How is that an acceptable response?

Funny, I ordered them months ago, you'd think someone from the company would get in touch with me by now considering I paid for them! Nope, I can hardly get but the most vague of response from this terribly managed company. I called the customer service line and was on hold for over 25 minutes but no one ever picked up. I cannot get a reply via email. Their shipping prices were outrageous (over $500 dollars to have it all shipped!!) and I literally do not know if I will even be getting them. Never again will I give this company a dime.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

My husband and I went to West Elm to purchase a mattress, bed and bench for our bedroom during their Labor Day sale. The in store shopping experience was sub-par due to lack available associates to help with our purchase. The customer service experience following that was horrible and resulted in us canceling the majority of our order after countless hours on the phone, email and over a month of waiting. We were originally told our mattress would arrive in 8 to 12 days. After 8 days and no tracking information, I began calling customer service to which I was mostly told that there was no way someone could find out an ETA on delivery, they could not contact the vendor (Leesa), and that someone from West Elm would look into this and get back to me.

The average call to West Elm's customer service line has taken at least 40 minutes or more to get someone to look into our order. After calls every two days for a month and a week, I was finally told, by someone claiming to be a supervisor, that my inquiries would do no good, no one would get back to me, I could cancel my order and order with a different brand or I could wait an undetermined/unspecified amount of time and keep checking my order status on the site. To that, I decided to contact the mattress vendor directly on Twitter. They were delightful and got back to me right away - promising to take care of our order immediately. Our mattress is en route now and by the time it arrives will have been in less than 8 business days from when we contacted them.

We have canceled the rest of our order for the bed and bench with West Elm - and even to do that I had to be transferred between three different people and spend 43 minutes on the phone. I have emailed several times to their support@westelm.com email, but they do not respond. We will not ever be shopping with them ever again and I will not be recommending them to anyone I know. Terrible, rude, and often unresponsive customer service.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I have gone through every avenue possible to get help with my order. It was placed 16 weeks ago and not a single persons can tell me where it is or when it will arrive. I have been promised by 5 different people that they'll get to the bottom of the situation and unsurprisingly, I haven't heard back from a single one. I will never deal with this company again.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I ordered a coffee and end table from West Elm (both of which were faulty) and the service I have received has been absolutely horrible. The base of the coffee table is installed upside down, whereas the screws and assembly stickers are facing upwards. Neither the pictures or the display model in their store is like this. Upon delivery, I was told by the delivery team that "this is how it's supposed to be." In addition, the marble on the end table does not sit flush with the stand, so it wobbles whenever you place something on it.

After delivery, I called customer service and was told someone would be contacting me to either repair or replace the items. I was never contacted, and this was now 6 days ago. I then contacted them via email hoping for better results and STILL haven't received a response, now 2 days ago. So not only did I pay $129 for delivery, but I have been inconvenienced, placed on hold, AND taken time off work. I have purchased a number of items from this company and this type of service is absolutely unacceptable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about West Elm?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I ordered a sofa from West Elm July 14th. Due to the nightmare of their delivery logistics, I canceled the order in late July & was promised a full refund. I have yet to get my $2,640. Shocking cust serv.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I had been searching for a stylish, comfortable couch for months and months. The second I tested out the West Elm Drake couch in one of their stores, I fell in love. It looked great. It was SUPER comfortable. PRICE: The price wasn't bad (not insanely expensive, but not super cheap that I felt like it wasn't good quality). I waited until they had a good sale online to buy the couch, so I got it at an even better price. DELIVERY: I had zero issues with the delivery. The couch was supposed to take 6-8 weeks to create and delivery, and the estimate for me was spot on.

DURABILITY: I have only had the couch for a few weeks, so I cannot speak to long durability yet. But so far I am SO happy with my purchase, I love lounging on my new couch and showing it off to friends. SNUG FACTOR: It is also the perfect depth, and great for snuggling. This was an VERY important factor in my couch making decision. It is also great that the back cushions are removable to make even more snuggling space, but I haven't had to move them yet because it is pretty deep as is.

STYLE: The mid century look of this couch is amazing. I've tested a lot of MCM style couches with the buttons on the back, and I find them usually pretty uncomfortable. But for whatever reason this couch doesn't have that issue at all -- it is extremely comfy! SUMMARY: Don't let the bad reviews scare you away. I'm sure things go wrong sometimes and unfortunately people with complaints are more likely to report than satisfied customers. I just love this couch so much that I wanted to make sure I submitted a good review for people out there who might be on the fence.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Absolutely terrible experience. West Elm shipped a coffee table with powerdust beetle larvae infestation to my home. The infestation became apparent after larvae chewed through to the surface - visible tiny holes I dozens and sawdust droppings on the carpet. West Elm came and picked up the table and I expected a refund. 10 weeks passed and no refund issued. Every time I call West Elm, they say a check has been sent out. At this point, I think I probably will not get refund of $550 back. I absolutely recommend NOT to shop with West Elm - as the company will not refund your money back for their defective product. I just called West Elm again and was transferred to UPS which has nothing to do with the refund.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I ordered a full bed set a month ago costing almost $3,000. The items were on back order. The bed and dresser should have been delivered no later than today. I called customer service delivery helpline last week and they said the item was in stock and I would get a call from them regarding delivery time either Friday Sep 28th or today Oct 1st being the latest. Today I called the delivery helpline and was told that my order was “in process” and instructed to call the general customer service line. I then proceeded to wait on hold for over 20 minutes. I then call the manager at the store location I bought the furniture for help because I obviously wasn’t getting anywhere.

I got a callback 15 min or so later from customer service saying my order was not “fully processed.” I asked why when I called last week the customer service women didn’t see my stuck in process order and she said at that point in time she didn’t see it as a red flag! So basically my order was not fully processed therefore wasn't put on the delivery list. So now I won’t have my furniture for another wk and a half... if I’m lucky. Had I not called and been on their back about my order it would have just sat there and no one would have contacted me.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

We ordered a sofa and chair two months ago. Our delivery date came and went with no delivery and no communication. When we called, we were told that an error had occurred in their paperwork and that we needed to call the delivery company to reschedule our delivery. We would've never known this or had anything communicated to us had we not called. We were told by delivery company that next available delivery would be in one month. We were naturally pretty put off by this so we called West Elm customer service and is always the case with them, we waited on hold for at least 15-20 minutes per call and then were transferred back and forth to different representatives.

Each time we'd have to explain the whole situation over again and would be placed on hold for long periods of time while these people wasted our time doing who knows what. We demanded a refund on shipping and were told that we would indeed get that refund. It was the very least they could do. However, I still have yet to receive that refund.

Then we asked shipping company to please deliver in the afternoon because we had no way of being home during the week for a morning delivery. So of course they called the day before scheduled Friday delivery and said the only time they could deliver was between 9-11AM, when both my wife and I were working. When we said we couldn't be there during that time, they told us they couldn't guarantee when or if (!!!) the delivery could be rescheduled but that it'd be at least another month.

At this point, we were completely done with West Elm and cancelled the delivery, demanding a full refund. We were told on 9/20 that our full refund was "confirmed" and yet here it is 10/1 and we still have not received our refund. I just called AGAIN and spent 20 minutes on hold, only to be hung up on as soon as the hold music stopped and the line rang. Called back, and of course another twenty minutes later finally got someone on the line. I demanded to speak with a supervisor and refused to be put on hold. So the woman placed me on "elevated" status and said instead of holding, she'd have a supervisor call me back. Still waiting for that cal...I cannot fathom how ridiculously bad this whole experience has been. Total incompetence. I just want my refund so I can hopefully forget I ever made the mistake of ordering anything from by far the worst, most inept, bungling company I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I have always been a loyal West Elm customer, but after my recent experience I don't think I have the confidence to walk into another West Elm store ever again. Background: On August 2018, I placed a $2,000 order for a sofa to be delivered no later than October 2018. I was told by the representative on the phone that the couch should arrive late September or early October. Realizing that the delivery date was approaching, my fiancé and I sold our old Pottery Barn couch to make room for the new couch. Today (almost 2 months later) I decided to give customer service a call. After waiting for over 45 minutes, I got a hold of a supervisor who informed that the couch was backlogged until February 2018!!!

I was in disbelief "Why didn't anyone inform me? Why didn't I receive a simple phone call or email? Why am I just finding this out now? Where am I going to sit now that I just sold my old couch?" These were all the thoughts running through my head as the representative was trying to calm me down by offering me a petty discount on a future West Elm item. The representative told me there was nothing he could do but to give me a slight discount for future items. A discount does not make up for the amount of stress, anxiety, and agony I am feeling. As a person who shops at high quality stores like West Elm, Pottery Barn, and Williams-Sonoma, I am not concerned about the "next discount". I will spend whatever it takes to have the beautiful furniture I desire, which is why the proposed discount felt like a disconnected cop-out. Frankly, if I was looking for discounts, I would have gone to Bob's Furniture!

I feel as though the company pulled a "bait and switch," by completely lying to me. I placed an order with West Elm for a new sofa. I even sold my old sofa. Two months later I followed up on my order only to find out it's been back-ordered until next year. I hope you understand my frustration. I expect more from a place like West Elm. The company used to have impeccable service. Unfortunately, I do not feel that is the case today, especially by the looks of your unhappy Instagram comments.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I ordered a bed and a couch a month ago. Now, I thought I was ordering from a reputable business. The bed and couch were not custom fabric so was told it would be delivered in two weeks. Was told initially that West Elm would contact me when the items were ready for delivery - which means being received in the warehouse and then being scanned. OK so couch took three weeks - and no one contact me- I just kept following up until I got an answer. The couch came in - scheduled delivery - asked for a COI for by building (I cannot receive deliveries without it)- was assured by three different customer service agents that the request had to sent (to who??? no one will tell me).

On the day of delivery, I received a call from my management office that the COI was never received. The couch went back and I rescheduled delivery (took another day off work). In order to avoid this situation, I contacted West Elm several more times to ensure that the COI would be sent over - NO RESPONSE TWO DAYS BEFORE DELIVERY DATE. I've confirmed with the building management that it has not been sent over. Never mind the fact that I have no idea where the bed is and what the status of the bed being received is. At this point- if I don't receive my items that I paid almost $3000 - I will return the items and dispute the charges with my credit card company. This is outrageous- these people take your money and don't care about their customers at all. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY IF YOU VALUE YOUR TIME AND MONEY.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I purchased a floor mirror and was told it would be available in 5 days. After 5 days I contacted customer service and was on hold for 48 minutes. I was told that it would be an additional 5 days before it was available. After 6 days I again contacted customer service, on hold for 36 minutes, and was told that the mirror would not be available until February.

As I did not want to wait until February, foolish me ordered another floor mirror at $150 more. The mirror was delivered today and for $129.00 delivery charge it was just left. The mirror weighs about 150-200 lbs and I had to remove it from the box myself, dropping it on my foot while doing so, bleeding and swollen. I then had to dispose of the box by breaking it up. I called customer service to complain, only a 16 minute wait this time, and they told me I would have had to pay additional cost to have them remove the box. I will never purchase anything from West Elm again, they clearly do not care about their customers.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I purchased a build your own Harmony sectional in early November 2017. After months of delays and no communication from the company, the sofa was finally delivered in March of 2018. After many calls, they had offered me a discount due to the nearly 3 month delay in delivery, and I had to call 2 more times in order to get the refund applied to my credit card. Almost immediately, we noticed that in two places, the base of the couch was broken. We went to our store with pictures and they tried to help us connect with someone who could help - we were supposed to hear from an inspector within 5 days who would schedule time to come see the couch and approve the replacement. No one ever called or has come to our house, still.

We ended up somehow being connected (I believe) with the vendor, after many many calls. I was able to send them pictures of the couch, and they approved the replacement of two main parts - the double armless sofa and right arm sofa in June. It was supposed to be delivered around 8/25. Again, it has not been and we have not received any communication as to when it will be delivered. The most upsetting part of this is that the purchase was almost $5,000 - and we have spent a lot more at West Elm on rugs, tables, etc. I have gotten FAR better customer service for a bathing suit! How can they sell products that are this expensive and have such awful customer service.

All in all I have been happy with other West Elm purchases but the couch is terribly made and terrible quality. I found out that they 'switched vendors' midway through which caused some of the delay. I am not sure exactly what that means, but seems like they are using unreliable 3rd parties to make sofas, and there is no consistency in quality. I am really at a loss, I have lost sleep and have a pit in my stomach thinking about the time and money I spent on this couch, and at this point all that I want is for them to remove it and refund me.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

On 12/11/15, I purchased two "Reclaimed Wood + Lacquer Storage Dressers, Reclaimed Pine, Gray Wash" from the West Elm store in Burlington, MA. Then on 1/31/16, I purchased a third dresser. All are the same style and brand, but have different numbers of drawers. In early August of this year, I noticed that all three dressers are experiencing significant warping, to the point that the drawers are now difficult to close. I called West Elm's customer service line on 8/6, and spoke with Shante. She asked me to provide photos via email. I did so and never heard from her again, despite also sending follow-up emails on 8/18 and 8/22.

On 8/23, I called again and spoke with Carrie **. She asked me to send photos via email to their warranty service provider. I did so and then never heard from her or the warranty service provider again. I own several other pieces of furniture from West Elm that were bought around the same time, including 8 dining chairs, two beds, a coffee table, artwork, an end table, three nightstands, and a fourth dresser of a different style. I also hold a West Elm credit card account and have been a long-time customer.

To this point, I have been willing to pay more for those pieces, because I thought I was paying for quality and customer service. I'm surprised and appalled by their lack of attention to this case. I never expected that the problematic dressers would warp in only 2 years, and I was shocked when Shante told me that they only included a one-year warranty. Had I known that West Elm had so little confidence in the quality of their products, I would never have shopped with them. Given their terrible customer service performance so far, I'm pretty sure I'll never buy another piece of furniture from them again.

All of the other pieces of furniture from West Elm are in perfect condition, which suggests that the problem is with the engineered wood used in the three warped dressers. Because this is a flaw in the manufacturing process, I hold West Elm responsible for fixing the problem. I would like to be refunded for my purchase price. In lieu of a refund, I am also open to West Elm providing replacement furniture if they can guarantee that their supplier has improved the quality of their materials and workmanship or they can provide similar dressers from another manufacturer. I recently filed a complaint with the BBB and Williams-Sonoma offer no solution to my problem and considered the case closed? How in the world this company stays in business?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I ordered an 86 inch Henry sofa on Aug 16 - delivery scheduled for September 21-28. New delivery email says October 7 or later. I called, and a customer service representative told me that the manufacturer is not making sofas, there are no sofas, and there is nothing they can do. I asked to speak with their supervisor, sat on hold for a very long time, and they never picked up. This sounds a lot like theft?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I placed an order for 2 counter stools on 1st Sept and the delivery date showed 6th Sept, so we happily placed the order. On 5th Sept, it showed the delivery status as shipped and on 6th it changed to in process. I went to the store (it's right across the street) and I was told I would get a call when the products are delivered and that they were unsure on the date. I called the customer service after few days and was told it would be delivered on 17th Sept. Again in track your order it says shipped on 16th Sept, so relieved I went to the store to and was again told I would be called.

The store manager does not seem to respect a customer and did not even want to find out and let me know when my stuff would be delivered. Again, the same evening my husband and I went to the store to find out what was happening with our orders. Luckily, there were others who did all the investigation she could and we were told it would be delivered on 20th. I am still very apprehensive on receiving it on 20th though. If it further delays I would rather cancel the order. I do not understand how this store even exists with so many customer complaints. Never ever buy any product from this store if you want something within a week or two. Be ready to wait for months together with no actual confirmation on the delivery date, pathetic customer service to top it all.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I bought Peggy sectional 2 years ago and it was breaking apart and I filed a complaint. The West Elm offered to give me a 30% discount on new purchase and fully refund the price I paid for the Peggy sectional minus the delivery charges. I hesitated first to buy another product from them after the worst experience I had then thought they would have improved their products after the complaints on Peggy sofa and trying to hold on their customers. I made a big mistake. The new sectional was pricey but the quality is lousy. I got the sectional in April of 2018 and it is sagging. It is just used by me and my mom and we are not heavy people. I have furniture bought 15 years ago for 1/4 of the price and they are all just like new and that’s how I take care of my stuff. Please do not weasel your money and buy anything at West Elm.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

The review is for the online Westelm.com. The MOST incompetent and RIDICULOUS customer service. Original order in July. Furniture had scratches, not OK if you are spending this amount of money. Did not accept delivery and requested a replacement of the furniture. After 3 weeks and multiple calls, I was informed that they made a mistake and they had issued 2 gift cards instead. I only received 1 gift card. I made at least 10 calls explaining that they have issued a $2000 gift card with my money, without my knowledge and that I NEVER received it.

I requested to have the $2000 gift card VOIDED. One month plus later and around 20 calls, NO VOIDING of the non-delivered gift card and West Elm still requests that if I want a furniture replacement to go ahead and use the gift cards. The gift cards that I NEVER RECEIVED in full. You have STOLEN my $2000. Maybe one of your employees is a thief? Why would you issue 2 separate gift cards on the first place? DO NOT order anything from them.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

The worst customer service I have ever had it. At the time of purchase, a cashier told me that I will get my furniture (Sofa + love seat) within 2 weeks as it’s ready to ship it from the warehouse. I got the email confirmation and delivery date was Sep 6th and Sep 11th. I totally relied on the dates from West Elm and sold out my all furniture on Sep 5th. When I did not hear back anything from anyone, I called customer service. They were being so rude and asked, why did I rely on the delivery dates as mentioned on the email. Seriously? This is the 21st Century. Of course, I will rely on the email communication.

In last 5 days, I connected with so many people from customer service and every single person gave me the different information regarding the same order number. Everyone kept me on waiting like anything and even disconnected my calls. I am working mom, small kids at home, and literally no furniture as I sold out everything after getting the email confirmation from the West Elm. At one point, customer service also told to me that, "Feel free to cancel your order because we don’t know that when we will be able to deliver your furniture." Seriously? Literally horrible experience! Be aware and don’t order any furniture from West Elm. Don’t expect any service from the customer care department also!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I have tried repeatedly to secure the promised designed dollars from a large purchase I made in June, and West Elm has lied to me repeatedly: (1) I have a statement dated June that stated that my rewards would come by the end of the month. It is now September. (2) I called customer service in July and a supervisor gave me award numbers. They were not valid. They lied to me about the numbers. (3) I called customer service yet again at the beginning of September. I was told that the award certificates would be available through the secure message center at Comenity (the bank that services credit card). That too was a lie.

When West Elm finally responded to my complaint, they told me that Comenity Bank was to blame and they were without fault. Their message to me was condescending and dismissive, and they seemed incapable of understanding that I have also called Comenity (again, to no avail) -- the bank simply shunts me BACK to West Elm. West Elm's customer service has done NOTHING to help resolve this issue. I absolutely deplore the egregious manner in which I have been treated. Beware of West Elm, Williams-Sonoma, and Comenity Bank.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Purchased the Henry Chaise and Loveseat in Fall 2016, immediately called Customer Service to complain where the Chaise and Loveseat attach is a HUGE gap and they did not align. The back cushions were sagging in only days of receiving the couch, constantly fluffing them. In short, West Elm did try to make good and fix the couch, but could not align the 2 pieces. Therefore I was issued a replacement couch. After several months of constant phone calls to Customer Service and being placed on hold upwards to 15 minutes or more and being transferred to one department to another and disconnected, the replacement couch arrived. Within days the back cushions began to sag and flatten, the seat cushions began to flatten. This couch is only being used by 1 person and not on a daily basis. The seats began to squeak within a few months. For $2000+ the quality of the Henry is horrible. BUYERS BEWARE!

It angers me knowing I paid that amount for it to be thrown down the toilet. I own an IKEA Ektorp sectional for 14 years, gets more use than the Henry, and never have I had to fluff cushions or have squeaks in the structure, plus it is a fraction of the cost and much better quality - still one of the most comfortable sofas after 14 years. Additionally, the Henry's Graphite fabric does not easily clean when spot treated. The year old couch fabric looks like 10+ years of wear and I cover the couch with throw blankets to avoid pet hair. The reason I purchased a Henry is because a family member had one for 8 years and it was comfortable. Never had issues with the frame or cushions, she purchased it approx. 2010 - it seems West Elm jacked up the price for this sofa all while cutting corners on quality.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I was charged for a dining room table 4XS and for a 2nd I never purchased. Delivery date was 9/10. Never arrived. They cannot find me on the system despite billing me. 20hrs+ on the phone still no resolution.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I ordered a sectional furniture set in May. The advertisement indicated that it would take 4-6 weeks. I had to call multiple times through August and no one could give me an answer as to where it was. I was put on hold for extraordinary amounts of time and I was told that if transferred to a supervisor, she wouldn't pick up. On the day of delivery, 3 and 1/2 months later, I received a call that a piece was missing and couldn't be found. Every time I called, I was told someone will call me back within 24 hours and no one ever did. I then had to call multiple times for another two weeks to finally speak to someone who confirmed that she will place a reorder for me on the spot as no one ever did, despite telling me that was the case. The last piece will not be delivered until the end of October! If I am lucky. This has been, by far, the absolute worst customer experience I have ever encountered and would recommend to never, ever order from this company.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Bought Urban 12 Sofa set from West Elm Dallas store in March 2018, within 3 months I realized the quality was bad. All the seats are sagging then the feathers started coming out from the seats. Contacted the 1.888.922.4119, customer service number given on the email that had the order number, was told to talk to the store. Called the store and was asked to call back the same number again. Someone from the service department then called me, an email was sent asking for details and pictures and after that silence. Have followed up several times now. Order # **.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

After Hurricane Harvey I purchased 2 carpets. They immediately started to unravel. I did initially get a response but it all stopped short of a resolution. What happened to the quality they used to have? After reading all these negative reviews I have little hope of a favorable resolution but I’m holding out hope. I don’t see where any customers took legal action but if so, please share.

Updated on 09/13/2018: After my negative review of their rugs they sent an email asking if I wear high heels, animals that scratch the carpets or kids with shoes with cleats. I responded none of the above. I certainly hope they do not consider this case closed. It is not and I expect a better answer from them.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I ordered two couches a rug and a table from West Elm in May. I called the end of July to ask when it would be delivered. No answers. September 1st (4 months later) I call and they said it's ready. It arrives and they are missing a couch. I call they have no clue where it is. I call back and get hung up on, transferred, put on hold. 2 days later I am still calling with zero response. They have my money and have not yet to give my the product. Do not order from this terrible company.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I got this couch (Enzo reclining sofa) and returned it. I found it wasn't very comfortable and quickly showed signs of wear, even after only a few weeks of use, that were unacceptable for the price point. The fabric on the back panel got all wrinkly and the filling got misshapen. The foot rest is pretty short, and I say that as someone who's 5'4". For nearly $3,000, I was irate at the quality, so I returned it.

It took forever to actually get a refund (they initially issued as a store credit without asking me, and I had to call 5 times to get the credit back on my card and it still isn't there). Moreover, when they delivered it, they gave me the arm rest to a different couch, so I had to wait nearly a month more for the correct arm rest to arrive, and contacting customer service elicited an entirely apathetic response. Horrible experience all around with the product and CS. The whole process has taken months, during which time West Elm has held on to my $3000.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I ordered the Logan Industrial dining Table & 2 matching benches on July 4, 2018. Delivery time states 4-6 weeks. It has now been 9 weeks, and all I've seen in their tracking data is 'Available for delivery In Process'. I sent an email inquiry about the status of my order, but received NO RESPONSE. Not surprised after seeing all the other negative reviews. Decided to call Customer Service, waited 20 minutes on hold, got a rep who said delivery is tentatively set for Sept. 24, 2018 which is a full 11 weeks from the time I placed my order, and 5 weeks later than West Elm's outside delivery time frame stated on their site.

Based on the previous reviews... I'm not going to hold my breath for delivery of my order. I hope they prove me wrong, and if they do, I will amend this review. I wish I had checked out the reviews on this company before I placed my order! We've been without a dining table for months, and not only am I worried that I may never get my table and benches, but I'm also concerned that the quality may not be any good either. They have 3 weeks to deliver, or I'm taking them to small claims court to get my money back!

Updated on 10/02/2018: I wrote an ongoing situational review of West Elm about my order of the above mentioned table and benches earlier on Sept. 9, 2018. My original order was placed July 4, 2018. I have not received any of my order to date. Since then, I have contacted customer service for the 4th time, and received no response. The status of my table has since changed to scheduled arrival of Nov. 1 - Nov. 8, but they didn't mention of what YEAR! They just keep giving me pushed back delivery dates and at this point I don't believe any of it.

This company should be investigated for fraud and false advertising, and I strongly recommend that you avoid ordering from them, no matter how much you like the 'cool' look of their merchandise, particularly their furniture! Fortunately I do have some recourse to get the money they've already charged on my credit card back. It's called Small Claims Court. I strongly suggest anyone else who has that option to do so as well. I will not be strung along or fleeced by this horribly run business ever again! STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I recently bought a lamp from West Elm. The lamp came with half the pieces needed for a functioning lamp. For example, there was no harp in the box, which means I could not attach the shade to the base. So great - I paid over $100 for a lamp and received half the pieces. I promptly contacted customer service, and it took more than 4 weeks to get this return issue settled with multiple different people telling me different things. Their customer service is some of the worst I've ever experienced. So I go try to leave a review of my experience and this product on West Elm. Surprisingly, they don't allow reviews. So I start digging. Once you start digging, you realize that West Elm has terrible, overpriced products and extremely lacking customer service. No wonder they don't want reviews on their website.

I have to admit I've been a fan of West Elm for a few years. As a young adult, I felt I was ordering the hip, trendy furniture I needed in my adult life. SPOILER ALERT: Their quality has gone down. They don't make up for it in customer service. In the future I'll only be buying potentially decorative items from them (if they are on clearance for a reasonable price).

West Elm expert review by ConsumerAffairs

West Elm is a branch of Williams-Sonoma, Inc., that was founded in 2002. Ninety percent of their products are designed in-house from organic and sustainably sourced materials.

• Fair Trade Certified™: All of West Elm’s products are Fair Trade Certified™. Fair Trade is a movement that creates sustainable opportunities for workers through trade agreements. A percentage of product cost at West Elm is paid directly to a worker’s fund.

• West Elm LOCAL: The West Elm LOCAL program finds local workers and features their products in West Elm stores. This program builds local economies and grows small businesses.

• Design services: West Elm offers services like room planners, inspiration articles and consultations with stylists and designers. Costs for consultations can vary.

• West Elm blog: West Elm’s blog contains posts about company news, design trends, lifestyles and consumer profiles. The blog also contains links to guest features from publications like Architectural Digest and The Atlantic.

• Brand extensions: West Elm’s various branches include West Elm Workspace, West Elm Hotels and West Elm To the Trade. These groups focus on workspace products, hospitality products and trade deals for brands respectively.

• Best for: West Elm is best for businesses and consumers who want to support local workers and Fair Trade with their purchases.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs