2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

3.4/5 (1375 ratings)

About West Elm

West Elm Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about West Elm?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about West Elm?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

We bought the Harris sectional May 2020, by May of 2021 the seams are coming undone on the chaise section of the couch (at the end where no one touches or sits) For a 3k couch I’d expect better quality. I’ve emailed, and called at least 5x and they tell me that’s normal… to have seams coming undone after 1 year is their quality standard? I am extremely disappointed I wasted money on this couch, no one will help us fix it as it’s past the year mark when I called. Will never buy another thing from West Elm or its subsidiaries.

The entire chaise part seems to have poor quality- it’s lopsided and doesn’t meet up to the couch properly (large hole between where they should meet). Shame on me for not calling them right when I noticed that, I had just had a newborn so it was an annoyance but I had other things to take care of obviously. The times I called customer service they either hung up on me or told me too bad so sad bye. This company makes overpriced junk. Funny we bought a swivel chair from Article the exact same time, use it daily and it’s pristine. Shame on your quality standards West Elm!

Hello Caity,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am so sorry to hear of your quality issues. Please send us your order details to support@westelm.com and our elevated support team will be happy to further assist.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

I purchased a mirror on Oct 1st. Within a week, the price was reduced by $100. I called the customer service for price adjustment. My request was denied after I called two representatives. I got different responses from different representatives. I couldn't even cancel the purchase, though the item has not been shipped based on the information I saw on my end. Price adjustment within a week of purchase was provided by other businesses, yet not available at West Elm. The customer service gave inconsistent answers. The webpage of West Elm does not allow product review from customers. I was a loyal customer before. However, I no longer think their service is customer-friendly. Plus, the quality of some West Elm products is not justified for the price tag.

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

Ordered the Lana Upholstered Storage bed and ottoman in September/October of 2020. It’s now October 2021 and the order still hasn’t been received. There was an attempted delivery of the bed a few weeks ago, but there were pieces missing in the order which meant the bed couldn’t be put together. West Elm then refunded the order instead of giving us the bed we want and have been waiting for. This is absolutely ridiculous — a huge waste of time and money to be waiting a year, not provided all the pieces, and then refunded which was not the intention. Completely unacceptable.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

We purchased a Sofa back in June 2021, Delivery date was September 20, they changed the delivery date to Oct 06, again today they changed it to Oct 20. One of the customer support reps told that it won't come before December but this so-called Premier Support (Williams Sonoma Service Team) won't accept the statement regarding the December Delivery date and they told me they do not know how that Rep got that info. They keep on giving false hope. And the funnier part is the store, from where we purchased the item. They have no clue and they are not even ready to bear any responsibilities, all they say is, "We will contact Customer Support," LOL. This company is a mess.

West Elm response

Hello- Thank you very much for reaching out. We apologize for the scheduling issues you are experiencing. Would you please email us at support@westelm.com with your order details? We are here to help.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

West elm company's customer service totally disregards the fact that their products are of very low quality. They do not replace, repair or refund any broken or defective items. None of our calls were returned for several months trying to fix our furniture. We even offer payment for spare/ broken parts. Nor did the manager bother to help resolve our broken furniture problem, as he was always "busy". Don't waste your money!

Hi Valeria,

We thank you very much for reaching out. Would you please email us at support@westelm.com with your order details? We are here to help.

Sincerely,

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

I ordered 3 chairs in May that were supposed to be here in July. Total mix up in their warehouse and I’ve had to fight for the chairs, cushions, any shred of info or some semblance of functional transparency and I’ve spent countless hours (literally an hour on average at a time) on the phone and hounding them trying to get the bottom of a still missing order, trying to return and get a refund. It’s been since May and it’s now October. I’ve called dozens of times. Still getting the runaround now. Will never ever do business with this company again. Total scam, sham, headache and nightmare, like Groundhog Day. Emotionally exhaustive. Waste of time, money and energy.

Hello Lily,

Sincerely,

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

We purchased a heavy metal bed frame from West Elm and had it delivered and assembled. We recently wanted to add a headboard, and noticed that the bed had been wrongly put together by West Elm/their delivery contractor. When we contacted West Elm, we were told they could not help us anymore as the order was too long ago (13 months) and after a year it is considered "wear and tear".

While I understand the policy, the bed had not been moved or barely used during this time. It was clearly their mistake. West Elm had an opportunity to easily surprise and delight a customer with relatively low effort and they failed. In an era of so many choices, I would not recommend West Elm solely based on the fact they do not stand behind their products or service they provide. West Elm should take a look at companies like LL Bean, Patagonia, Apple, etc who are able to stand behind what they sell.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

My first time ordering West Elm, and it was nightmare. They constantly changing the delivery time (4 times) and they showed up off the appointment time and canceled my delivery. I requested refund. They won’t refund my $175 delivery fee. I am paying $175 for nothing. Not gonna order anything from west elm or Pottery Barn in the future. There are many other companies ships free return free with better quality items.

Hello Jayden

I am so sorry for the problem with your delivery. Feel free to send a private message with your order details and we would be happy to look into this for you. If you prefer to communicate by email you can send this information to support@westelm.com with reference to ID 191086. We look forward to hearing from you.

Julie C.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

I splurged on a set of organic percale sheets. By the time I got them, washed them, and put them on my bed, it was around 30 days from the purchase date. These are are, without a doubt, the lowest quality sheets I've EVER owned. Within the first wash cycle (washed from new and used for <2 weeks) the flat sheet started pilling so badly that I thought there was somehow sand in the bed. I washed them thinking this might help, but the issue only got worse. That sandy feeling is pilling on the fabric, not anything in the bed. The sheets feel DISGUSTING. I've never experienced anything like it from other brands. I've reached out to their customer service department now multiple times and received no response.

Hello Domie,
    Feel free to send a private message with your order details and we would be happy to look into this for you. If you prefer to communicate by email you can send this information to support@westelm.com with reference to ID 191018. We look forward to hearing from you.

Julie C.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I ordered 2 light fixtures (among MANY other items over the past year) from West Elm this January 2021. At the time of my order, the estimated shipping date was for April. That was ok, I get it-due to Covid, there are shipping delays everywhere. They were delayed several times, but were finally shipped and I received them on June 3. However, I did not receive all of the pieces. What I got was 2 rattan shades and only 1 lighting kit. So, I couldn't hang/install them. I thought, oh, this should be easy to rectify, so I called them, explained it all and was told they would ship the other lighting kit within the week. Well, what I received instead, were 2 tiny screws and an L wrench. At this point, I'm getting frustrated. Waited 6 months for these fixtures and just having issues.

So, I both emailed (no response whatsoever) and called. I explained the situation all over again, adding the part about the latest shipment of screws. All I need is the lighting kit. The part that is electrically attached to the ceiling, and holds the lightbulb inside of the shade. Was told, they would ship it and I would receive it. 3 weeks later, still nothing. I call again. Explain it all over. This customer service agent said, 'I'm just going to send you a whole new fixture to ensure that you get the piece you need." Which I appreciated. Got it yesterday 9/29/21 and guess what? No.Lighting.Kit. Just the rattan shade. Again. I am at my wit's end. Why is this so hard? I am super disappointed as I just feel like this was an easy fix. I have spent thousands with West Elm over the last year. Rugs, lamps, desk, all sorts of stuff.

West Elm author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

West Elm is a branch of Williams-Sonoma, Inc., that was founded in 2002. Ninety percent of their products are designed in-house from organic and sustainably sourced materials.

• Fair Trade Certified™: All of West Elm’s products are Fair Trade Certified™. Fair Trade is a movement that creates sustainable opportunities for workers through trade agreements. A percentage of product cost at West Elm is paid directly to a worker’s fund.

• West Elm LOCAL: The West Elm LOCAL program finds local workers and features their products in West Elm stores. This program builds local economies and grows small businesses.

• Design services: West Elm offers services like room planners, inspiration articles and consultations with stylists and designers. Costs for consultations can vary.

• West Elm blog: West Elm’s blog contains posts about company news, design trends, lifestyles and consumer profiles. The blog also contains links to guest features from publications like Architectural Digest and The Atlantic.

• Brand extensions: West Elm’s various branches include West Elm Workspace, West Elm Hotels and West Elm To the Trade. These groups focus on workspace products, hospitality products and trade deals for brands respectively.

West Elm Company Information