1.34/5
  • 1 star
Based on 34 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good furniture store?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 9, 2017

46 West Elm Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I’ve never expected that the store like this one will have such a bad customer service. I’ve ordered 1 king duvet cover and 2 King shams from them. After a week or so I got my duvet cover but 2 Euro shams... I checked my order if it was my mistake, but it wasn’t. So I contacted store and they told me that they ordered pick up for the wrong items for the next day and that they already shipped the right ones. But nobody picked them up the next day and I didn’t receive anything within the next few days from them.

So I contacted one more time. They scheduled the new day for pick up, which they did. And kept saying that we will send you your shams ASAP. After few more days I realized that they didn’t send me the tracking number for the original shams I ordered. So after contacting them they started apologize for the fact that king shams are not anymore available (!). So they will send me a refund. After a month I checked my account for the return and it wasn’t there. After it they didn’t reply for 2 emails. They lied to me a couple of times, and didn’t send nor product nor issued the refund. The worst customer service ever!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I bought 2 hutches, 1 day bed, and a chest of drawers online during Black Friday. I did not realize that the 2 hutches in 4 boxes was going to be delivered by UPS and left near the front door of my condo which I am first closing on in a couple of days. My day bed and drawers are coming Inside assembly. All during the order they said multiple pieces will be combined for one delivery. It said HOME DELIVERY so thought the same delivery people would bring that. I cannot unbox and set up my own furniture. This is not overstock that I am ordering from. Customer Service it seems has gotten in touch with UPS and it may be shipped back to the store, the customer service rep was supposed to call me back.

I also got a pending charge for the total order on my credit card, a pending charge for one of the items, and a credit charge for each of the three items. So I was charged $4000 twice and it ate up all the credit limit I had for 6 days - never rolling off when they actually did the charges. I have $330 left on my credit balance. I have never had furniture in my entire life delivered by UPS.

West Elm response

Hello Lynne,

I'm sorry to hear you were not aware that the hutch would ship via UPS. I've reviewed your order and I see the hutch has been returned to us and your refund has been applied. Unfortunately, we cannot change the way the hutch is shipped, but our retail store may be able to help you with getting the piece if you're still interested. I'd be happy to help you with this if you are. I can be reached at support@westelm.com, I'd be happy to help you in any way I can-Thank You-Sharla

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

I ordered a Henry sectional sleeper sofa a few months ago. The white glove delivery service provided by West Elm did not set up my sleeper sofa correctly so the bed does not pull out from the couch the way that it should. I realized this after the delivery men left and called West Elm right away (within a half an hour) to see if they could come back and finish the job. West Elm said that they would have someone call me back and at up a date for the sofa medics to come and fix the issue. A week went by and they didn’t call me to set up the appt. It is several months later and that scenario has repeated itself 4 times since.

I call West Elm, they take down all my info and then they tell me that someone will call me to set up a date for their guys to come out and finish the job with my couch. It is getting ridiculous at this point. What does a customer have to do to finally get their pull out sofa to work properly? I thought I’d write a review here so that others could hear how poor the customer service is since I don’t know what else to do. I’ve even gone into the store and they tell me that no one can help me in there. I’m very frustrated and will not ever be buying anything from West Elm again. It’s not worth it.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

First, I would like to say that I have been happy with the products I have purchased in the past (you get what you pay for and for the price, the product is good). This review is for policies and my customer service experience. I bought a duvet set online, which had a release date for about 2 months out. One month before it was to be shipped, I received an email informing me that the items were backordered and it would be another month before shipping. That's annoying but I really like the duvet set so I'll deal with it. But then I noticed that they were offering a free shipping promo and since my duvet set has not yet shipped, why not ask them to honor the promo for my order? It was going to save me about $25. So I call in and I am on hold for just over an hour (it's a good thing my morning was open!).

When I finally spoke with a customer service rep she told me that the promo couldn't be applied, despite the fact that the items won't be shipped for two months! I asked her to cancel the order so I could just place the same order online again and get free shipping. But after getting off the phone I was annoyed for two reasons: 1) the promo couldn't be applied to an order that hasn't shipped AND that I haven't been billed for; and 2) the rep didn't even offer to just place the order over the phone since she had all of my information up. So I'm debating whether or not to just wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals to see if there is a better promo since if there is, I will have to call and cancel again just to reorder again. Please make things easier for your customers and we will be much more willing to return. As of now, not sure if it's even worth making another purchase just so I can avoid calling customer service.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I place a substantial order with West Elm for a new home we were purchasing. The order consisted of a couch, dining table, bed, 2 area rugs, 2 console tables and a nesting side table. Most items were due in 1-3 weeks, with the couch and a few other items potentially taking up to 10 weeks, all due to be delivered before the Christmas holiday. I was told I would be able to have a partial delivery when placing the order as my dining room table was a 1-3 week delivery and I wanted the table for Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, after 4 calls to customer service and 3 calls to the delivery company and now approximately 5 weeks Since I placed my order, I still have no furniture in my home. I will have no dining room table for Thanksgiving, which was estimated to arrive in 1-3 weeks.

My couch is now estimated to arrive in mid January, 14 weeks after the purchase date and 4 weeks later than the estimated 8-10 weeks they provided. Customer service gives me a run around on the phone. Told me I wouldn't get my shipping fee back if I canceled my order, which was $299, so I was expected to eat the cost of delivery for nothing delivered or have no furniture at Christmas and wait until January. It has been the most frustrating purchase I have made to date and with no resolution or assistance from a customer service representative. It has been a complete regret and I would not recommend the hassle of this to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about West Elm?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I ordered 2 sofas and one chair on September 1. I was promised 8-10 week delivery. Current information shows that sofas will be delivered in 20 weeks and Chair is "in process" no delivery estimate. 1) Delivery times inaccurate. 2) Customer not notified when delivery changes. 3) Customer service agents are not helpful (it's a vendor problem). 4) Customer service agent dropped my call TWICE!!! 5) Email requests for information are unanswered. 6) Contacts to the Birmingham MI store where I purchased is no help. They tell me to call corporate. Very frustrating experience.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY!!!! I saw the box frame online for sale, called the location in Greensboro, NC to see if I could pick it up. The lady was beyond rude and told me I had to order it online. The item came two weeks later, with a long crack right down middle of the marble top, which the company had it fixed and sealed before sending it to me! So this was no freight damaged. They sent me a refurbished item! This was no way to do business and beyond shady. Had to send the top back and stuck with the box frame with company coming in that week.

On top of that the delivery guy put two dents on my brand new wood floor. We had built a home and we were there for only two days! I called customer service about the damaged top which took forever for someone to call me back. They told me that the top will get there in time for my housewarming party which was a week away, well that never happened. Called them again and again to have them tell me that it was being pushed back. The manager who I spoke with was also very rude and empathetical. She then hung up on me. This was my first and last time I order from this company!

Resolution response: Nov. 27, 2017

So i got my coffee table on 11/22/17 it came really early. I called them the day before because no one reached out to me to notify me of the estimated delivery date. When i called they told me that order was cancelled and I will get a refund. I was then transferred and that rep told me that it was not cancelled but a different unit is handling it. She then transferred me and I got voicemail I was very upset at this. The next day at 6:48 west elm delivery called me told me that they were 30 mins away at 7:14 I got my item. I wonder what would have happened if i left for work my normal time? Anyways i was really happy to get it my table before thanksgiving. I inspected it from top to bottom and its in great shape. I really like it and adds great character to my home.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I read these reviews and still decided to purchase and that was a terrible mistake. My delivery was between 12:30 to 2:30. At 2:15 I had to call them asking for an update smh. They called me shortly after and my item came 2:45. The item came damage. What a big surprise based on the reviews that a popular thing and I was no exception. The delivery guy took pics and called them. They told me they can get me a new one on Nov 29th. I told them I wanted a refund and they wanted to issue me a merchandise card, they already issued me one because on their website they advertised free shipping. When I was in check out they applied shipping.

I had to email them and they told me that the code is not on furniture. That was said nowhere in the advertisement so they issued me a merchandise card for the shipping cost (if you read the other reviews you'll see that's a popular thing of West Elm to mislead customers). Anyways I said, "Ok I'll take a new one." Because I went into my local West Elm and Pottery Barn and couldn't find anything worth value to buy. Seriously guys try to avoid west elm. The reviews are true.

West Elm response

Hi Kimberly,

I am very sorry for the issues you experienced with this order and understand how disappointing this must be. A private message has been sent to you with more information about the replacement table. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to assist.

Sincerely,

Katie

West Elm Social Media Team Lead

Resolution response: Nov. 8, 2017

West Elm eventually did pick up and deliver old and new rug concurrently. I just wish that they would have offered to do this initially rather than what was suggested.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

We purchased a rug which is aesthetically pleasing. However, upon walking on it barefooted, I discovered something sharp embedded in the rug. I was hesitant to cut it out because of possible damage. When I contacted the company, they were going to require me to wrap up a 9 by 13-foot rug for return. Only then, would they send a replacement, even though we had waited seven weeks to receive the original. In other words, we are going to do the easiest thing for us - almost nothing. I suggested that they have a new one delivered and the old one picked up at the same time. I ended up extracted the piece of metal with sewing implements. I am extremely disappointed with the lack of reasonable customer service from this company.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Purchased a couch and table and a rug. The ordering part was good. Everything thereafter... A TOTAL NIGHTMARE. Couch quality very poor, delivered with fraying already happening at the bottom of the couch. The so-called "white glove service" delivery service delivered it with an orange stain on one arm due to marker color on a piece of tape that was adhering screws to the couch.

A bigger nightmare to get the couch picked up for the return - initially requested the return roughly 8/8/17, scheduled pickup was finally picked up after two reschedules (one BEFORE Harvey where they didn't bother to call me to tell me it was rescheduled and one caused by Hurricane Harvey which again you guessed, no communication on their part) on 9/8/17. I took off work to be home for these, thanks a lot! Finally after all that I never got the couch credited back despite the fact the couch was received into the warehouse. Again had to call... and asked for the status of the credit to which rep said "sorry sometimes these things fall through the cracks". Wow. Never again West Elm.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I am VERY disappointed with West Elm as a company. I really like a specific table and saw that it was on sale with Free shipping noted for all items over $99. There was a small asterisk by it, so I looked for more info. on exclusions. The banner was not clickable (which would have been right, easy thing to do) and looking at page, I didn't see anything further.

When I tried to apply code, it says it wasn't applicable, I thought it was just a website error. When I purchased the table, I was shocked to see a $199 charge for shipping on a $569 table. Customer Service (Sahita and Ty) led to absolutely no help, just, "That's how it is, we always charge for furniture shipping." No response when I noted that their website was designed to trick people. I am very disappointed especially with the response which led me to believe I am definitely not the first person to express this concern. I like their products look, but I will not buy from a company that tricks people like this.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Worst customer service I have ever experienced! I order products that is available in stock, after order and at delivery I only get the side tables and I'm missing the middle table and the console! A month later I finally get a call about the missing items and we schedule it and I get an email confirmation and then they cancel the delivery on their own and after being stuck at home waiting for the delivery, I call and I get nowhere and can't even reach a supervisor. For the prices I paid, I sure got a lousy service and it was not worth the wait which is still going on because I still don't know when I will get the rest of my order! Very disappointed indeed.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I love the products West Elm carries. Sadly their customer service is abysmal and has wasted too much of my time that I will likely never shop there again. I basically furnish offices for a living and have never had so many orders not work out as with West Elm. When that happens, which is getting more and more frequent, they seem to have no idea how to do anything unless they are babysat and checked in on the entire way through the order. Even then you may not receive what you ordered. And even then, when you've been left high and dry, you may still have to spend 20 minutes on the phone to get your credit card refunded.

Most surprising of all is that someone left me a message (after a month wasted on one unfulfilled order) letting me know that they have more couches that I could choose from without offering a discount on future shopping for the inconvenience, nothing to try to keep me as a customer. I almost feel worse wasting more of my time on them by writing this review, but I do hope I can save everyone else some time. Steer clear!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I placed the order for sofa on July 7th. I was advised: Available for delivery by: Sep 04 Sep 18. Sept 18th came and I still have not heard from West Elm. I only noticed my credit card being charged in the last week for the full amount. I called West Elm. First customer service rep couldn't help me, I was transferred and waited 23 min. Danille from furniture department answered and "helped" me (her extension **). I was offered a discount for inconvenience. I accepted the discount under condition if she would let me know the delivery date by Tuesday 19th (24hrs). Today is Wed. Sept 20th 16:03 EST and I called Danille 3 times so far, left VM and have not heard back. This is very unprofessional. I was informed our conversation in recorded which I am happy for as I will needed when disputing my charge with the credit card company. Do not order customer made sofa from West Elm!!!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I ordered a couch back in April (it is not September). I have been on the phone for over an hour trying to locate said couch. The first time they sent it and never scheduled the appointment. After waiting on hold forever I finally got in touch with someone who said it had been sitting in the warehouse and no one told me. So then I scheduled the appointment and after finding coverage for my working and waiting forever on the couch, the "couch" that arrived was actually a chair that I did not order. After several more calls and waiting I discovered that my couch was lost and they had to make another one, which they promised would be there by September. Well now it is September and I have no couch and once again I am sitting on the phone for over an hour trying to reach someone. Please NEVER order from here!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

We just walked away from our first shopping experience with West Elm and it was a mega fail. This is especially bad because we were going to spend over $1300 on a chair. On 8/19, we initially ordered the Henry Power Recliner Chair in twill fabric for a 2-3 week delivery. Within 5 minutes we decided to go with the leather option instead. Since it was a weekend, we were told to wait until Monday for the 1st order to cancel then we could place the order for the leather chair, which was in stock locally. Monday afternoon we went to the store to complete our order and schedule a pickup of the chair. The sales clerk advised us there would be a price difference - we knew this because the tag in the store showed $1599 for the leather chair. HOWEVER, the clerk claimed it was a good time to buy because we were getting 30% off the price. The amount that was showing on her computer screen was not 30% off, it was 20%.

We can accept the clerk is bad at math and we did see the signs for 20-30% off in the store. As she was completing the order she said it would be a couple weeks for the chair to come in. Not once did she check local inventory until we told her we'd already been told it was available immediately. Only then did she call the warehouse. That was when we noticed the amount of the original price ($1699) she was basing the 20% off from was $100 more than the price showing on the floor model. In bold black letters the tag showed a list of this brand of furniture with the final item being the power recliner at $1599. We pointed this out to the clerk and she checked the tag and said the actual price was on a small sticker on the back of the printed tag and that was the price of that chair. One question I have is what chair are you selling for $1599 if not the leather chair it was attached to?

Then we decided to bypass the local store because of their poor sales staff and go straight to the internet to order the chair. It had a note next to an asterisk that claimed free shipping. But when I went to pay for the order it added $299 for shipping and handling. I have put way too much effort in trying to spend over $1300 at your store and have dealt with lackadaisical sales staff with poor math skills, false advertising, both in the store and online, and basically just a bad overall impression of a store. The sad thing is, we really wanted this chair so now we will have to search for a suitable replacement and let our friends know of this horrible experience.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

My son was moving from NC to Dallas. He purchased a bed online from West Elm and was given a date the bed was to be shipped. After hearing no updates from West Elm he called them to check on the status of the order and was told the bed would now be shipped 3 weeks past the date he was originally told it would be shipped. He is now in Dallas without a bed for 3 more weeks. He asked to cancel the order so he could go somewhere locally to purchase a bed and was told that he could not cancel the order. He is now forced to try and cancel through his credit card company. DO NOT ORDER FROM WEST ELM.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I purchased a coffee table from the West Elm website on 6/4. It is now 7/14 and no news of where this coffee table is. This was a very expensive piece of furniture and I am at a loss for words about the lack of customer service and updates I have gotten from the delivery service West Elm uses and the people at West Elm as well. First, I was out of the country and provided an alternate number they can call upon arrival. They called MY cell phone claiming they could not reach me (received this message when I came back from my trip). While the person waiting for my delivery did not get notified at all. Turns out the number was not updated when I asked them to update.

Next delivery was scheduled for a Saturday from 9:30-11:30. Also had someone wait at the house for it. At noon I received a call that they lost the coffee table and cannot locate it. How can someone lose a coffee table?! Not at the warehouse either. They requested a dock search at the warehouse as well as ordered a new one from GEORGIA (I live in Chicago) to arrive on 7/12. Called on 7/12, no updates in the system and they still don't know where my coffee table is. Two people have told me they will provide updates and track my table with me. I had to reach out myself to get no update at all because the system has no updates. For a high-end furniture store I am very disappointed and cannot see how this kind of lack of service is even possible. Safe to say I will not be recommending West Elm to anyone.

Original review: June 28, 2017

When my step daughter took time from work to receive her sofa delivery it was too large to fit up the steps. The delivery person gave her the name of a company that will come for the next delivery, take the furniture apart, move it into place and reassemble. All of this was set up for June 22nd. I took the day away from what I was supposed to be doing to help her out. We received the 2 hour window the day before which I passed on to the "furniture fitters". 1-3pm. I waited at the apartment for the call saying they were 30 minutes away which I was also to pass on to the furniture fitters who were standing by. The call never came. At 2:30 I called West Elm and spoke to Amber in the furniture delivery department. She said that the computer had canceled the delivery and no one had noticed. She gave me another delivery date weeks away which I told her no one could do and that they would need to have it delivered within 7 days.

She said she would look into it and have someone get back to me. I have had about 5 phone calls with West Elm each lasting at least 1 1/2 hours, each saying different things or disconnected and NO one following up or reaching out. And just one little thing, when you call the furniture delivery department it says your time on hold will be less that 3 minutes. It's always a 1/2 hour before the call is answered. I finally seem to have one good person who I spoke to yesterday, Vanessa, she is polite and apparently trying to get help from superiors but she is unable to reach them by phone or email. Is the company too large to work efficiently? What are these superiors doing that they cannot help with customer service?

Original review: June 18, 2017

I purchased the sofa Quinn Sectional on May 30, 2016 for $1,474.38 and today (6/18/17) the plywood base of the sofa detached from the staples. We were unable to place the plywood back to attachment piece to hammer with nails. The material inside the sofa is cheap (compressed wood chip held together by staples). Hammering the cheap wood with nails would destroy the compressed plywood piece. My husband and I work 15 hours days. The only time we lay on the sofa is at night to watch some TV before going to bed. I have no children and no visitors because we work too much to have time to socialize. But, I like nice things; Therefore, I trusted West Elm website to buy the sofa. Big Mistake. That will never happen again and I advise you to stay away from West Elm.

Original review: June 16, 2017

Ordered a table - Day 1. Was told it would get shipped on Day 28 (4 weeks should be plenty of time for them to work out any potential issues, internally - but no). I called on Day 27 to confirm delivery time and was only then told it was "damaged" in the warehouse, would not be delivered and we would NOT be able to reschedule until they knew more. We were NEVER notified if/when the table was ready.

We finally called them back on Day 35 and we were told by the phone rep that the table was "repaired". We said that we did not order a "repaired" or "refurbished" table and that if it did not appear brand new, we would refuse it. The rep confirmed and noted our account. We scheduled delivery with this same rep for Day 49, the earliest they could do! We called on Day 48 to confirm delivery time. We were then told that the table delivery was NOT scheduled at all! Unbelievable. Who runs this shipping warehouse? Who is accountable for what these reps tell you? No one. That's who.

We were then told by the rep that the table was replaced, so they did receive the note on our account that we would not accept a damaged table, but no delivery scheduled. We were told on Day 48, that they could not delivery on Day 49, as we were told, but we would have to wait until Day 51 at the earliest - a day I cannot be there to accept. I would have to take a day off work to accept a table 22 days after I originally was told it would be delivered? This is completely unacceptable "service" and having absolutely no confidence that West Elm will deliver on this new date anyway, I finally canceled.

Cancellation is a whole other headache with this company. West Elm will not confirm cancellation. They will not send an email, they will not send a confirmation notice. They will not send you anything. Yet, if you've been on their mailing list, you know that they email you EVERY DAY. But for furniture cancellations you just have to believe that they will cancel, and if not, call them back in 5 days. I have actually been through this before, and they did not cancel, did not refund, and I had to call back. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and was told it was canceled. I guess I'll just have to believe him. This is 2017 and I cannot believe they can do business like this. Do not bother ordering furniture delivered from this company. It is not worth the headache. I would gladly pay a another company more money for a table to avoid ever having an issue like this again. They've had my money for weeks and I have nothing.

Resolution response: June 10, 2017

When I never received the merchandise I ordered, I tracked the shipping and saw the items had been returned the West Elm warehouse. (Of course no one from the company had reached out to tell me what was happening.) I sent a message to customer service (this time in writing - having learned from my previous experience) and they responded that they were refunding my card for the cost of the goods (including the "non-refundable items") and giving me a gift card for the shipping cost. I think the outcome is a reasonable compromise, although I'm dissatisfied overall with the experience because it was a lot of unnecessary time and headache to get to this point which could have been offered at the get-go. Now I'm left with this bad taste for the whole family of brands and dread having to interact with customer service again. Then again, a $50 gift card doesn't buy much at West Elm so I will probably end up spending more money there (which I guess is the whole point).

Original review: May 24, 2017

I have had a terrible experience ordering online from West Elm. Their return/refund policy on online orders is one of the least customer friendly I have encountered in my lifetime. I purchased three sets of curtains recently using my mobile phone and was shocked later to find that shipping charges were nearly $50. (The CSR with whom I spoke was adamant that the shipping charges are on the screen before you submit payment but I honestly did not see them as I was clicking through and did not see the updated total. I remember ordered another time using my PC and they didn't show up until literally the last screen before you're finalizing - which is anything but transparent.)

Their initial email confirming the sale did not give a total price. Later I got a notice from my credit card company and honestly thought I'd been overcharged! At any rate, I decided to cancel the entire order. I was overpaying anyway and the shipping charge just put the total cost over my limit. I called the company (now about an hour after placing the order) and asked to cancel the order. The CSR with whom I spoke said that the order had already "gone to Processing" but that she would send an email and "hopefully" get it sorted out. I asked what she meant by "hopefully" and she said that she would follow up with them and make sure the order was canceled. She also said she'd send an email confirming that we'd spoken. I thanked her profusely and went about my work day.

About 5 hours later, when I checked my personal email and saw no message from West Elm, I called again. Now I was told that my order couldn't be canceled, that perhaps if someone had "contacted Processing earlier" something could have been done, but insisted that there was a "24-hour lag time" for "Processing" to check their emails and that it was out of their control. I explained that I'd spoken with someone with morning and that it was taken care of. They said no it hadn't, and also some of my items were final sale and could not be returned (i.e., I owned them even though they were sitting on a shelf in a warehouse).

By this time I was so angry and frustrated that I didn't want the products at all, let alone some sorry attempt at an accommodation. No worries - no attempt at accommodation was made. The best they could do would be to offer me free shipping on the RETURN (of course the final sale items were not refundable). The items had NOT by this time shipped, mind you. No reimbursement of shipping charges. No exception to final sale. Not even a discount on a future order.

I was told, in essence, to live with it. That I had no choice, 60 minutes after purchase on Wednesday morning, but to accept the unwanted products that were still sitting in their warehouse and to eat the unexpected shipping charge. There was a chance something could have been done earlier, but that chance was gone, thanks to the sales associate who forgot to click send on her email (and who apparently fed me misinformation). She would be dealt with accordingly. But I had no vested right to cancellation so I had not been wronged by losing this non-guaranteed opportunity for voluntary cancellation on their part. (The CSR also insinuated that I was lying at several points which was just incredibly disrespectful and completely baseless).

This was one of the worst encounters I've ever had online shopping. I am a principled person so now I will never be able to shop from Pottery Barn, Williams-Sonoma, or West Elm again. There is no excuse in this day of technology to insist that internal communications take 24 hours. To also choose not accommodate customers or do anything remotely inconvenient to the company to make customers whole leaves me with a taste of utter disgust in my mouth. How could I keep curtains that are now symbolic of the disrespectful way in which I was treated? This is now what I associate with this brand.

Original review: April 29, 2017

I bought this rug recently from West Elm, but >30 days ago so I am unable to return. I have emailed West Elm 3x in the past month and sent pictures of a warped rug. The rug has not been exposed to moisture or even had much traffic on it, so it is puzzling why it is warping. I have not heard back anything, despite the claim that you will hear back from customer service within 48 hr. I have been reading other complaints that their products are not high quality and based on this experience it does not make sense to me to purchase anything from them in the future.

Original review: April 19, 2017

Needed a replacement globe for their Eclipse Chandelier which they still show in their catalog. Went to the store to try to order glass replaced globe that broke while GENTLY cleaning. Store said they would look into it and call me but they were not sure they could due to past experiences with previous customers. They never called so I contacted the corporate office. After a few back and forth I was told they do not sell replacement parts, they buy them from a 3rd party vendor. I asked how to contact them, their cold response was to get on my server and try to find one. This is ridiculous! Needless to say I will forewarn anyone buying chandeliers ask about replacement parts and breakage.

Original review: April 8, 2017

Before placing the order, it was supposed to be shipped within 1 month, but after placing the order, it is heavily delayed. I asked to cancel the order, but they offered to replace the order and "generalize the associate's 25% merchandise card offer on a new order," I could not understand this 25% for the order for this replaced order or another future order not related to this bed, so I called call center. The problems are; 1. They do not track the history of the communications with customer. That means I need to explain once again if person in charge is changed. 2. It took time to check the latest product information. The bed I looked at website became sale, but they insisted old price for the bed. 3. They request me to send the screenshot of price and committed to call back but it took more than one hour and replied to me to call the call center again and explained to another person... It was the most poor customer service desk experience that I have had.

Original review: April 5, 2017

I have ordered numerous products from West Elm, with the exception of furniture. I ordered a dining room table that a month later has yet to arrive. Upon ordering, the ETA to my house with "white glove service" was 3 weeks. Their furniture department has absolutely ZERO idea what they are doing. I have been passed around each time I call to find out where my order is, getting a different answer each time. I don't believe they even have a customer service department. I was told I would receive a call back from a supervisor in 12-24 hours, 48 hours later I still have no call back. I hiiiighly recommend shopping for furniture elsewhere.

Original review: April 5, 2017

I purchased a carpet online and they have been giving me the runaround for the past 2 weeks in trying to return the rug. They "arranged" a pickup with UPS who never showed up to pick it up. I've been on the phone every day for the past 4 days for at least 45 minutes each time getting pawned off to different people and getting different information about when it will be picked up. The communication is impossible. Hard not to believe they are dragging this out so that I end up losing the refund or getting tagged with more restocking/return fees.

The customer service has been the worst I've EVER experienced. Rude, unhelpful, lack of information, no desire to resolve the issue. They should be fined for this especially with the prices they charge for their products. I had to finally fight to speak with a supervisor who is the ONLY one who is making any attempt to resolve this but it is STILL unresolved. Nobody has come to pick up this carpet for return and the scheduled pickup has been pushed again another day. How many more days before they will no longer accept the return? Outrageous.

Original review: March 20, 2017

It took us two months to receive a dining room table and a bench. Both came with noticeable scratches. We are sending back the bench and ordered two benches that I just discovered have been ready for delivery since March 6th. Zero communication. In addition, we ordered a headboard on January 4th and still haven't received our purchase (it's now March 19th). CB2 will get my business for big ticket items from now on.

Original review: March 11, 2017

Ordering a love seat was a mess of miscommunication, confusion and delays. West Elm is one of the worst companies that I have ordered from. Same with their affiliates Pottery Barn etc. Their site changed prices as I was trying to actually order a sofa. I could not order one as it was impossible to get a customer rep who knew what was going on. Totally incompetent or extremely poorly executed site management. Terrible. NOT RECOMMENDED.

Original review: March 4, 2017

They don't even deserve a one star. I scheduled a timeframe from 3 to 5 pm but they called me at 12 pm said they were already at my house. I told them I could only make it at 3 and when I got home they just left without calling me, won't picking up my calls, acting like I did something wrong. Later that day they had a front desk lady called, saying I had to reschedule since I was not at home. I am so shocked! Similar cases happened every time that their delivery never respect the time. I promise this is the last time I shop at West Elm.

West Elm expert review by ConsumerAffairs

West Elm is a branch of Williams-Sonoma, Inc., that was founded in 2002. Ninety percent of their products are designed in-house from organic and sustainably sourced materials.

• Fair Trade Certified™: All of West Elm’s products are Fair Trade Certified™. Fair Trade is a movement that creates sustainable opportunities for workers through trade agreements. A percentage of product cost at West Elm is paid directly to a worker’s fund.

• West Elm LOCAL: The West Elm LOCAL program finds local workers and features their products in West Elm stores. This program builds local economies and grows small businesses.

• Design services: West Elm offers services like room planners, inspiration articles and consultations with stylists and designers. Costs for consultations can vary.

• West Elm blog: West Elm’s blog contains posts about company news, design trends, lifestyles and consumer profiles. The blog also contains links to guest features from publications like Architectural Digest and The Atlantic.

• Brand extensions: West Elm’s various branches include West Elm Workspace, West Elm Hotels and West Elm To the Trade. These groups focus on workspace products, hospitality products and trade deals for brands respectively.

• Best for: West Elm is best for businesses and consumers who want to support local workers and Fair Trade with their purchases.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs