2.61/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

West Elm

Looking for a good furniture store?

330 West Elm Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 11, 2019

I had a BIG issue with their phone customer service and after repeated failures I went into the store and spoke to Carla ** (She is one of the managers). She took care of me by first actively listening, acknowledging my frustration and then going out of her way to resolve the situation. Happy to report I left the store feeling really good about the store, opposite of what I felt when I got into the store. Carla ** changed my mind from a negative to a positive one and because of that I will be back at the store to spend some more money. NOT ONLINE. But in-store is the way to go. Thank you Carla.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I found this sofa on the Apartment Therapy website sofa rating story and knew I had found the sofa of my dreams that fit in my tiny living room. I ordered it the same day and according to the site, expected a 2-4 wait time. The next morning an email from West Elm was waiting on me saying that the sofa was in stock and to choose a delivery date. I could have chosen delivery within 5 days of my order, but I chose a later date for my convenience. Through this period, I was regularly notified as the delivery date got closer of the time of day it would be delivered. The delivery driver called when he was about 30 minutes away. The two delivery guys brought in the sofa, put on the legs, took out the trash and put the sofa where I wanted it. They were in and out in less than 20 minutes. I LOVE the couch! I will order from West Elm again.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I had been searching for a stylish, comfortable couch for months and months. The second I tested out the West Elm Drake couch in one of their stores, I fell in love. It looked great. It was SUPER comfortable. PRICE: The price wasn't bad (not insanely expensive, but not super cheap that I felt like it wasn't good quality). I waited until they had a good sale online to buy the couch, so I got it at an even better price. DELIVERY: I had zero issues with the delivery. The couch was supposed to take 6-8 weeks to create and delivery, and the estimate for me was spot on.

DURABILITY: I have only had the couch for a few weeks, so I cannot speak to long durability yet. But so far I am SO happy with my purchase, I love lounging on my new couch and showing it off to friends. SNUG FACTOR: It is also the perfect depth, and great for snuggling. This was an VERY important factor in my couch making decision. It is also great that the back cushions are removable to make even more snuggling space, but I haven't had to move them yet because it is pretty deep as is.

STYLE: The mid century look of this couch is amazing. I've tested a lot of MCM style couches with the buttons on the back, and I find them usually pretty uncomfortable. But for whatever reason this couch doesn't have that issue at all -- it is extremely comfy! SUMMARY: Don't let the bad reviews scare you away. I'm sure things go wrong sometimes and unfortunately people with complaints are more likely to report than satisfied customers. I just love this couch so much that I wanted to make sure I submitted a good review for people out there who might be on the fence.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I purchased the Enzo Reclining Chair about 2 years ago now. When the couch had around 4 months in our house, the storage arm portion broke. It is such a beautiful couch but the storage arm is very poorly constructed. I reached out to West Elm and sure enough they sent over a person because they would be able to "fix it". We paid nearly $3,000 - we should've gotten a replacement for such a short period of time of us having this couch! Either way, I agreed of course because I did love the couch. The guy came over, called West Elm to let them know that he could fix it. They made him leave because they couldn't approve it on the spot - he was a third party. A few weeks later, they called me back to make the appointment for him to come back to fix the couch. All I can say is that it was such a joke of a fix. I would say he patched it up.

He let me know that we should be extra careful with the way we open and close that part of the couch as it makes an immense pressure on the outer portion. Instead of it working smoothly, when you open and close it, the brackets basically push up against the wood inside the box. I don't know how else to explain this. Either way, we made sure we were even more careful than before. Needless to say, our couch just broke yet again. I'm over it. I was never offered a refund, just to "fix" the couch. This is unbelievable. Please stay away from West Elm couches. There's a reason you can't leave reviews on their website....

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

I purchased the Andes Ottoman - Extra Deep to go along with the Andes sectional. One of the crossbars that spans between two legs split in the middle within two months of owning it. After taking apart, the crossbars are made with flimsy plywood with the grain going up and down, making it easy to split. It's a poorly designed and cheaply constructed piece of furniture that can't possibly last. West Elm refused to take any responsibility for the poor quality and did nothing to resolve. I will not be purchasing any additional furniture from West Elm based on this experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about West Elm?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

This has happened 2 or three times now from West Elm. Place order for duvet and shams. Duvet gets shipped and shams get backordered. Shams stay on backorder with "date to expect" changing every couple of weeks. Keep sending emails asking where are my shams? Keep Getting answers that they will be coming. Eventually, they will say they are sorry but we can no longer get this product. Now I'M STUCK WITH A DUVET AND NO SHAMS!!! I ORDERED A SET!! IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT DON'T LEAVE IT UP FOR SALE!!!! VERY ANGRY! WILL NOT BE ORDERING AGAIN!!

Original review: July 30, 2019

If you are going to sign up for the credit card for their rewards, you should read this. I signed up for the credit card when I purchased few furnitures as they had a promotion of giving twice reward points. Using "reward certificate", I've made few purchases. However, I wasn't happy with the items so returned. The clerk said I will get the credit back to the original payment method.

Few weeks later, I still didn't get the credit back so went back to the store. It turns out there was a fine print saying "The Rewards certificates are only valid to be used once on a purchase. If the purchase is canceled or returned, the certificate is forfeited and unable to be replaced." which I cannot find because their website no longer has my "reward certificate" information for me to verify. Store clerk said it's corporate issue. Customer service just hung up on me when I asked if I could talk to the supervisor. I sent a message to customer service and they said they are sorry. If that's the case, why would the store even accept the return? It's very shady business and I will never shop at West Elm or any of their sister companies.

Original review: July 25, 2019

Over the past few months, I have ordered about 3,000 worth of furniture and rugs from West Elm to furnish my new condo. I will no longer shop at West Elm! Their flat rate shipping policies are ridiculous and arbitrarily assigned. I have paid flat rate shipping for a large furniture order and it made sense due to the size of furniture and the white glove delivery. I have also received furniture items such as a couple of media storage units and a large bedside table via UPS and they were delivered in great shape. No problems!

However, a few days ago during the 20% off sale I tried to order a small side table that weighed no more than 10 pounds and with the discount applied, the flat rate shipping was 130.00 more than the item itself! West Elm's response to me is that they have had bad experiences with UPS and they are no longer using UPS services. On their website however, there are still numerous furniture items listed that are sent via UPS. The West Elm Customer Service response to me this morning was completely bogus. They still use UPS, so they lied outright to me! They are making huge profits, despite their frequent sales, due to their shipping policies. They have the highest shipping rates across any of the online shopping sites that I have used. West Elm is a huge rip off! I will no longer shop at West Elm, or any of their affiliates.

Original review: July 24, 2019

My first experience with West Elm was much the same as this one. I’m done now. I will never order again from this seller. Nor will I visit any of their store locations. This time I ordered a trinket tray on March 24, 2019. I received it July 23rd with no explanation for the 4 month delay. According to the shipment tracking site, it was first picked up for delivery on July 18th. So once it was shipped it only took 5 days to get here.

Original review: July 23, 2019

I would think twice before registering at any of their brand stores including West Elm, Williams Sonoma and Pottery Barn. My daughter was registered at West Elm. She went into the store to exchange a gift. They told her they would have to mail her a gift card for the value of the item and if she wanted to purchase an item that day, it would have to be paid for out-of-pocket. Another words, she could not exchange the item that day. She would have to wait for the gift card. Tell me how absurd this is?

West Elm expert review by ConsumerAffairs

West Elm is a branch of Williams-Sonoma, Inc., that was founded in 2002. Ninety percent of their products are designed in-house from organic and sustainably sourced materials.

• Fair Trade Certified™: All of West Elm’s products are Fair Trade Certified™. Fair Trade is a movement that creates sustainable opportunities for workers through trade agreements. A percentage of product cost at West Elm is paid directly to a worker’s fund.

• West Elm LOCAL: The West Elm LOCAL program finds local workers and features their products in West Elm stores. This program builds local economies and grows small businesses.

• Design services: West Elm offers services like room planners, inspiration articles and consultations with stylists and designers. Costs for consultations can vary.

• West Elm blog: West Elm’s blog contains posts about company news, design trends, lifestyles and consumer profiles. The blog also contains links to guest features from publications like Architectural Digest and The Atlantic.

• Brand extensions: West Elm’s various branches include West Elm Workspace, West Elm Hotels and West Elm To the Trade. These groups focus on workspace products, hospitality products and trade deals for brands respectively.

• Best for: West Elm is best for businesses and consumers who want to support local workers and Fair Trade with their purchases.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs