1.26/5
Based on 68 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good furniture store?

West Elm

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 20, 2018

84 West Elm Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

We almost bought a Henry sofa for $699 with a Henry storage ottoman for $299.99 with the President Day coupon code giving us 20% off, and got all the way through a 2-hour decision making process and decided to place the order, only to discover that the promotion code didn't work on either the sofa, or the ottoman, because the sofa was considered "already discounted" and the ottoman was a "final sale item". What's the point of putting a big banner on your website advertising 20% off if it's actually a lie? Furthermore, it turned out the storage ottoman wasn't even going to be the same height as the sofa - it's 2 inches taller. How on earth were the designers so stupid that they couldn't even get the height correct?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

First, let me say that I have never written a bad review in my entire life. This is my first. I am 44 yr old business leader myself and I simply can't believe how bad this was. We bought a couch in October. Didn't deliver as scheduled because they put it on too big of truck. I was told by one of the representatives I called it was my fault. I should have told them they needed a small truck? I will say we have had numerous appliances and large furniture items delivered, and I've never had to tell a company what size truck to use. I had to advocate to get the earliest next delivery, which they scheduled wrong and I had to call back and change. Then they never showed up for second delivery and I had to call them. I had to advocate for myself again to get the next earliest delivery and finally because I honestly had no more days off in the near future had them drop it off when I wasn't home and I had to unpackaged and put the sectional together myself.

They said they would credit me for shipping due to all the issues. But they didn't do that either. I had to call back and advocate for myself again to get that changed. We received double reward points for the couch we bought. Unfortunately, the credit card company screwed up and only sent us single. Long story short when we went to place an order and use them, we were told to go ahead and place the order and when we got the other reward points numbers to call back and they would apply them. I had to call the credit card company and advocate like crazy to the double reward points we were due. Of course I called back when I got them and they then told me they couldn't add them (and the note the customer service representative said she put in the order to make sure I could add - wasn't there).

Not only that, but the customer service supervisor I spoke with didn't even care to hear my story and cut me off when I asked if I could tell my story, she actually said 'I know your story' and proceeded in a way that told me she obviously could care less. Needless to say the most frustrated customer service call I've ever been involved in. I did call another customer service care center of theirs and had a much more helpful call and was treated with respect, but I'm still waiting to hear back from a manager. All in all, worst operations, logistics, customer service experience I've ever had. The number of hours I've had to spend advocating for myself and the level of frustration isn't worth any of the product there.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I purchased a couch on 7/4 (the Hamilton Sofa) which after purchasing was on a backorder until 8/11. Prior to purchasing the couch, I went to the West Elm Store in Boston, MA and confirmed with the associate at the store that the quality of the couch fabric would withstand a dog and lots of use (I specifically asked about peeling off the fabric). I have a friend who had many issues with her West Elm couch fabric being of poor quality with peeling. I was assured that this type of woven fabric would not peel and was very durable.

After having the couch for 4 months, the entire chaise and cushions were peeling to the point where it was extremely noticeable and looked like a poorly made couch (this couch cost $1997.68 after delivery). I called West Elm customer service where the women told that since it was a craftsmanship issue that they would exchange the couch for a different one or credit me back to my credit card and pick up the couch at no cost. This was a very pleasant surprise to me - I spent about 20 min on the phone with the women going through other couches, however, none were the same size (I needed a specific size for my apartment) so the women let me know that then they could credit me.

The couch was picked up on 1/12 and I was told that once the warehouse received the item, inspected it, that then they would give me a credit back to my card (I also confirmed my cc # with the customer service rep at this point). She let me know that this could take a week on their end and then a few days for my credit card company to process. After about 2 weeks of no credit, I called West Elm and they assured me that the credit was being processed. After another week, I called and the women said no one actually processed anything and that they would process the credit back to my credit card and that again I would see the credit back in about a week after my credit card company processed it.

A few days later, I received a gift card in the mail from West Elm with the credit amount of the couch on it. To my surprise, I called West Elm and explained that I did not want a store credit, I wanted my money back. The woman assured me that it must have been a mistake and that the gift card dept would confirm that nothing was spent on the gift card and then within 24 hours of approval, they would credit my card on file. Today (2/16) I called back since I had not heard or seen a credit in a few days and spoke to a woman (Andrea) that tried to put the credit through again only to get a call back an hour later that since West Elm has a 30 day return policy there was nothing they could do and that I would have to keep the credit as a gift card.

As you can imagine, I was EXTREMELY frustrated since this was the FIRST time any representative (of probably 10 interactions) explained to me there is a 30 day return policy. I called West Elm back and was able to get in touch with a supervisor (Julianna) who told me there was nothing they could do and that they have a STRICT 30 day return policy (so strict that every representative I encountered failed to tell me or realize themselves that there was this strict policy in place?)

I explained to Julianna that clearly I would not have returned the couch (I most likely would have sold it on Craigslist) if I knew I was getting a store credit because what am I going to do with $2k to West Elm (mind you this is about the 3rd issue I have had with products from them - I will NEVER purchase anything again and have told this story to all of my friends who have wanted something from them). Julianna told me that her request to have this overridden would be rejected if she put it through. It took about 10 minutes of my arguing and getting very upset with Julianna to put my request through to her manager (who she explained probably won't be able to do anything either).

My note to West Elm is that I will tweet at you, Pottery Barn, your CEO, Williams Sonoma, I will call each week and write letters until I get my money back. I am not dropping this issue because I feel robbed of $2k. At this point, I see it as though you have over promised and under delivered and your customer services reps do not understand your return policy and have completely given me false information until it is too late for me as a consumer. I have never had a worse customer service experience where no one is on the same page, it takes about 10 min every time I call in to speak to someone and just about every time they have to transfer me to someone else because they can't answer my question.

Also, I now realize why you cannot leave reviews of your products on your website because then no consumers would purchase from you if people were able to hear the poor quality of your products and customer service. I look forward to never buying anything from your company again, but I do look forward to hearing back from someone at West Elm that can solve my issue.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Where to start...I ordered a couch and bed frame. In terms of delivery, the gist is that the delivery was late and even after having scheduled delivery (and me taking a day off work) I received a call the day of that delivery needed to be rescheduled. More importantly when the bed was delivered it was missing a piece that now 2 months later still has not been delivered.

On the materials side so far the bed has held up, but the couch... A couple days in I was sitting on the couch, went to adjust myself be leaning on the arm of the couch and my elbow went through the arm (I weigh 165lbs). It is clearly made with some kind of recycled cardboard. A few weeks later I noticed the top of the sofa back had also collapsed. And finally the legs on the chaise have begun to buckle. All in all, the couch is clearly made with cheap materials with no consideration to durability. We have bought other non-furniture items from West Elm which we have enjoyed without issue. I would be very skeptical of their furniture.

Hi David,

Please accept my apologies for any disappointment caused. I have sent you a private message containing my contact information. Feel free to reach out if I can help in any way with your bed and sofa. Regards, -Ramona

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I ordered a dress and sofa on Nov. 27th. West Elm kept delaying estimated delivery dates without notifying me. It seems the only way to get information on your order is to keep checking your order status, no one will contact you. Despite repeated delays, West Elm tried to charge me for the dresser. I indicated that I would be happy to pay once I have confirmation that the dresser is available and ready to ship.

Many weeks later, West Elm notified me that my sofa and dresser were ready to ship. They scheduled an appointment for Feb. 9th and said they'd notify me on the 8th regarding my delivery window. They never called; when I called them, they reported, for no logical reason that I can ascertain, that my entire order was canceled and the items returned to a distribution center. My only option to place an entirely new order. Not only that but West Elm offered nothing for my trouble; no discount, no resolution, no nothing. While I am a big fan of West Elm's products, this incident has resulted in a personal commitment never to purchase anything from them again. They demonstrate absolutely no concern for their customers. Shame on you, West Elm.

West Elm response

Audrey, please accept my apologies for the disappointing experience. If there is anything I can do to help, I have sent you a private message containing my contact information. Feel free to reach out if I can help in any way. Regards, -Ramona

How do I know I can trust these reviews about West Elm?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I bought an end table from West Elm on sale for $80. They shipped me the wrong end table, so I sent it back and they said they would ship me the correct one. A week after the correct one was supposed to arrive, I called them up after not receiving it. Without telling me, they decided not to ship the correct end table because it was no longer on sale and now retailed at $299. I asked them to please ship me the original end table at the sale price since they were the ones that messed up the order. They continued to refuse and offered to sell me the end table for $299 or give me a gift card for $80 to reimburse my old purchase.

I don't want to pay $299 for the end table because it is now worth that much and I really don't want a gift card for there, because I really don't want to do business with them in the future. I called again and asked to speak with a manager, they took my information and said that a manager would call me in the next two days. They never called. West Elm has shown me that they do not care for their customer. I recommend avoiding them if possible, they have made this process very difficult and have offered to do nothing that will satisfy me as a customer.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

2nd terrible experience with this company. Shame on me, but surprised they remain in business because their reputation is plummeting as their competition grows. Ordered online, given reasonably estimated delivery date. Two weeks after estimated delivery date and no still delivery, I sent an official inquiry about status. Zero follow-up or follow-through on claim... no response other than automated response that I'll get one... online, the product went from available to backordered to no longer available during this time. One less customer.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I ordered an ottoman for my son as a gift on January 20, got confirmation, delivery set up & confirmed for January 31 & then on the day before delivery, received a call that they couldn't fulfill the order because they don't have any more in stock. Called Customer Service, asked to speak with leadership team, got offered a 15% coupon off my next order, what a joke. Their inventory was done today & it showed no stock. What a poor excuse. I will never buy another item from this company no matter how much I like their items. My son had the chair & I bought the ottoman online, now an incomplete set & chair can't be returned - it was a final sale. Do not order anything online. Poor customer service, poor logistics in their warehouse & system doesn't work.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

My girlfriend and I ordered a coffee table for our home at the beginning of the month. We went into the store to pick it out and ordered it from there as well, and we were told that it would arrive in 4 to 5 days. After hearing nothing more about it for more than a week, we were later emailed confirmation that the table would be delivered a month from then.

This weekend, the weekend before the delivery was supposed to be completed, we received a dispassionate voicemail letting us know that one of the pieces for the table was missing, and that it wouldn't be available again until MAY, and that the order had been canceled. Any questions I might have (Who wouldn't have "questions" about something so ridiculous?) could be directed to their customer support line. No offer of a refund, no clues given as to what would happen at all.

Since then, I have called the customer support line 3 times. The first time, I explained the situation and to the rep and, without warning, without saying anything at all, she put me on hold for 30 minutes, before I gave up. The second time I called, I spoke again to a rep, who immediately told me she'd connect me to the furniture department and they would help me. After 15 minutes of holding, someone answered the phone and immediately hung up on me. I called again right after that, sat on hold for an hour, and had to get back to work. West Elm, I hope you read these, because I think this is the only way I'll ever get help on this. I want my money back.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

If you have four or more months to wait for furniture, then maybe West Elm is the store for you... We purchased a $2400 sectional sofa on Nov. 24, 2017. No one from West Elm informed us that it would, or could, take 4, possibly more, months to receive our sofa. Originally, we were given Jan 3-17 as a delivery window. We also purchased over $1700 worth of accessories and chairs to match our ordered sofa. So, if you're following along, we are $4100 in on purchases at West Elm. We took home our smaller items the same day and two weeks later picked up our chairs, but it is Jan 25, 2018 and we have yet to receive our sofa. We got an email on Dec 8 pushing our delivery date back to Jan 20-Feb 2. We called to check the status of our delivery on Jan 17 and were told that while one piece was ready for delivery, the main section will not be ready for delivery until the end of March.

So you're telling me we purchased a new home at the beginning of December, moved in and will not receive the main item for our living room until late March?! With no heads up when we placed our order?! Never once did a salesperson in the store tell us that there would or could be delays in our item being delivered. Once we placed our order, the store reps were basically done with us - except to add that all sales are final on our sofa purchase. Also, because we were not notified in a timely manner we are well past being able to return any of our $1700 purchases to match our sofa, even if we wanted to, due to the 30-day window being passed.

So we have lived in our new home basically two months now and have not been able to enjoy our living room or have friends over for housewarming because we are missing the main item of our living room due to West Elm constantly pushing back our delivery date. This is the worst possible customer service and I would never recommend making purchase from West Elm, unless you can take it home directly from the store the same day. Shop at your own risk!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I have contacted West Elm customer service a dozen times on this issue and they are not responding anymore. Twice they promised to send me new core cushions for the sofa I purchased. The cushions have not been sent and now no one will respond to my emails. They asked me to photograph my sofa cushions and the cushions of the sample at the store. I did and set them.

Then they stated that quality control did not have them. I resent them. Then they said they were overwhelmed and I would have to wait. I did. Then nothing. This has been going on since September 2017 and now no one will respond to my last four emails for over one month. What a horrible company. This sofa was advertised as the most comfortable sofa made by West Elm. The one I received is not at all like the sample and is SO uncomfortable. The cushions are flimsy and offer no support. I am in pain after spending some time sitting on it. I want NEW cushions or a refund!!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

The furniture is beautiful however the customer service is horrible. The delivery company that they use is absolutely terrible. I think is the worst company I have ever dealt with in my life. I've spend a lot of money, to get a phone call after a week, to book a delivery date after 2 weeks, and on the day of the delivery (today) I receive a call saying that the truck has broken down so they are unable to deliver it to me. OK. So the next available day is on the 8th of February. More than 2 weeks after the date that I suppose to have my furniture. Also, the delivery company can't say which period of the day they are coming, so I had to take the whole day off from work, so I'm losing money. And I've planned to send away my old dining table, so I have receive my new dining table today. And guess what. Now I've just lost a day at work, and more than 2 weeks without a table to eat!!! It is just unbelievable.

I've called the customer service and they are very sorry but there's nothing they can do. I have placed another order (1 week ago) which I still didn't get a phone call to arrange the deliver. And unfortunately I still have to buy another furniture. I'm already looking to spend my money somewhere else. Dreadful customer service. Terrible delivery logistics and customer service. They are very sorry but nothing they can do. Just avoid...

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

My first complaint is with West Elm's ridiculous and customer unfriendly policy of charging 10% shipping fees for items over $200. So the more a customer spends, the more they have the "privilege" of paying?! Who thought up this brilliant policy? Most other stores, including other large chain stores who sell furniture at similar, lower and higher price points, typically offer free or reduced shipping when customers make larger purchases. But not West Elm.

I recently purchased a number of items at my local West Elm store in Princeton, NJ for over $1,000. One of these items was an 8' x 10' rug. Since the rug wasn't in stock In this store, I was told could be shipped to me for $80. I was not as happy about being asked to pay a 10% shipping fee after spending well over $1,000. Especially for an item like a rug which is a lot lighter than actual furniture. The sales associate informed me that if they had it in their warehouse it could be delivered to the store at no extra cost and I'd just need to pick it up and the store. This seemed like a good solution until the time came to pick up the rug.

When my husband and I brought our car around to the West Elm customer pick up area, we were told, "I can't let you take it. The rug won't fit in a regular sized car so company policy says that I can't give it to you". Huh?? I expressed surprise and frustration at both this policy and that this was the first that I was hearing of it. Instead of apologizing to us for the miscommunication and inconvenience that this bizarre and previously unbeknownst policy had caused, the employees were both annoyed and unhelpful.

The only solution they could offer was to ask if we knew anyone who had a truck we could borrow to transport the rug. When I said no, they made reference to the fact that their manager was going to be very annoyed that they now had extra inventory. Um, excuse me? I was truly surprised at the poor level of customer service from these particular employees on top of my annoyance at West Elm for their ludicrous and customer unfriendly policies. As a result, I asked for refund as this rug was no longer worth the hassle. But as a previous West Elm fan, I no longer plan to shop there.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

In November I made 9 phone calls to West Elm Customer Service, for combined time of 65 minutes, and from December 2nd through January 1st, a total of 26 calls for combined 189 minutes. I am a proactive person, but this is completely unacceptable. West Elm holds itself to a high standard, and if I purchase a bed that is $1,000, I should be receiving that same amount in customer service/delivery/assembly. In the past, we have had issues with lower end furniture stores, thus we chose to allocate our money towards reliable/lasting furniture of which should coincide with spectacular customer service. Although we are very thankful for all of your help Mendi, that doesn't excuse all of the mistakes that have happened over the past three months since we purchased this piece in Mid-October.

We adore our bed (now that is is 90% put together), and we would love to continue shopping with West Elm, but for that to happen this needs to be compensated properly, and it needs to happen soon. We feel as if this needs to be elevated to corporate, so that others do not have to go through this like Chase and I did. If that is not the case, and your team believes that this situation does not need to be elevated, as mentioned above I am a proactive person, and will be sure that others know of this situation one way or another. We feel as if we have been taken advantage of, and this has been a very stressful situation for very simple task of delivering a bed frame /assembly. I hope that we can come to an agreement that makes everyone happy. Below I have listed (most of) the events in chronological order.

First Assembly -- November 21st, 2017. Kit missing. Left parts of bed in apartment (I said it was okay, because it was silly to take it all away if just the kit was missing). I took a half day to be home for the delivery. Customer Service Rep (Eric) said all compensation would be placed on the master card (of which I understand we used gift cards, but he said that would not be a problem and because of our issues he could place it on our master card) it was purchased on, said he would call back the next to set up a new delivery time (of which he did not), gave me his personal number of which I called left numerous messages, and never received a call back. Ever. Customer Service Rep 2, 3, 4 one of which finally got me set up with a new delivery date. Assembly team was very nice/helpful on who to contact.

Second Assembly -- December 4th, 2017. Wrong kit was delivered. Footboard missing. Parts still left in apartment (this I did not agree to, at this point our bed has been on the ground since November 21st, 2017). Took a half day to be home for the reassembly. Two assembly men not wearing uniforms and were engulfed with smoke. One assembly man stared at my breast for a good 25 seconds before he saw me glaring. Customer Service Rep after waiting on hold for 45 mins hung up on me after receiving my order number (this was only one of the issues I can remember with the customer service reps). Got in contact with the managers at West Elm in store, Jean, was very helpful. A few days later I began working with Mendi, and one other manager of which all have been very kind and helpful.

Third Assembly -- December 29th, 2017. Put bed together. Forgot drill (asked if we had a drill which is inappropriate). Team said they would hand screw in the slats -- of which they did not and only screwed in one or two slats, leaving 95% unscrewed, and left without saying another word. Reeked of smoke. Whole apartment was filled with the smell. I finally have my bed, and it is put together, but was told by a manager that she had done all that she could, and sent an email to the Retail Platinum Customer Service Department of which should be getting in contact with me within 72 hours. It has now been 10 days.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I ordered a couch from West Elm two months ago. With an original estimated delivery of 6-8 weeks, it was first delayed by another 3 weeks. Then, an hour before it was scheduled for delivery, they called to say that the couch was not at the warehouse. It was a nightmare trying to get in touch with anyone at West Elm who knew what was going on to try to find out where the couch was. They eventually found the couch and delivered it the next day (phew!) EXCEPT it was delivered WITH NO LEGS. The legs were just missing. It has now been a week since the couch was delivered, and even after several attempts to get in touch with customer service, I have not heard back from West Elm about the status of delivering the legs.

I finally was able to get in touch with someone today, only to find out that they might have to send a brand new couch as a replacement because the vendor does not have the legs in stock. This means I will have to wait ANOTHER 6-8 weeks for a brand new couch, ASSUMING that the second couch won't be delayed. It seems like all furniture ordered from West Elm is ALWAYS DELAYED. This entire process of ordering a new couch which SHOULD BE a simple process will end up taking over FOUR MONTHS. This is absolutely ridiculous. Save yourself the time and hassle and order a couch from another store. DO NOT ORDER FROM WEST ELM. West Elm might have nice designs, but it is definitely not worth the headache of dealing with their customer service. You can find similar quality furniture at other stores.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

We ordered a couch in early November, which was supposed to be delivered in mid- to late December. In mid-December, we received an email that delivery was delayed. When we received the email, we were out of the country. Upon our return a week ago, we almost immediately contacted West Elm's customer service department and were informed that one part of the couch was missing (ottoman) and could not be located. We were promised a call back several times, but no such call materialized. We continued to call the customer service department a total of close to ten times, because the promised call-backs never occurred.

Finally, we spoke with a supervisor on January 15th, 2018, who promised us that we would receive a callback today after the logistics department would check up on the whereabouts of the missing ottoman. Again, we did not receive this callback, and therefore, once again contacted the customer service department several times. Unfortunately, neither the customer representative we spoke to, nor her supervisor, wished to discuss this matter with us because both of them HUNG UP on us after we explained the problem. Because the delivery of our couch is now overdue more than a month and it is impossible to deal with this customer service department, we see no other option now than to cancel our contract and request that a refund of our money. I'm hoping this will not be too difficult. We're both lawyers, so we have resources.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018 I placed an order online yesterday at 10 pm for a bedroom furniture set. This morning I called and cancelled the entire order, it took me over an hour after being transferred three times, got an email cancellation at my request. Despite cancelling the order I just got an email with shipping information for the same order.

Tonight I called the service line again, got transferred three times after being told the order was "partially" cancelled, an hour later no one came on the phone and I got disconnected.

I just called again and once again I was transferred to the furniture department, the timer on my phone shows an hour and 15 minutes and I still have not talked to any one other than the operators answering the phone with a plain and curt West Elm! I have never experienced such bad customer nightmare, it is obvious the operators work from home, you can hear a lot of noise in the back, babies crying, tv, etc. Do yourself a favor and order from another company, I wish I would have and I wish I would have read the reviews before ordering from this terrible company.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

My partner and I bought a sectional sofa from West Elm and the anticipated delivery date was initially 6 weeks, then later increased to 8 weeks. Upon delivery, one of the three pieces of the sectional was the wrong color. The delivery guys told me to call customer service and I waited on hold for over an hour. After thirty minutes, I told the delivery guys to leave the two pieces that were the right color as I did not want to keep them waiting. The customer service rep I talked to (in the furniture dept) told me she would contact the warehouse to see if the correct piece was still there but would also order a replacement in the meantime. She said the replacement was in stock and would be delivered in no more than 10 days. She also refunded the shipping cost and, at my request, issued a gift card.

However, the next day I looked up the tracking number and it said estimated delivery date of 6-8 weeks. I called customer service again and the rep told me that date was correct and the previous rep I spoke to was mistaken. She said there was no way to expedite the order. I also told her I never heard back if they located the correct piece at the warehouse and she said they likely made the piece incorrectly. I requested to speak to a supervisor and 2 days later am still waiting to speak to a supervisor. We are having an engagement party in less than 2 weeks and will have half a couch for our guests to sit on. I feel this is unacceptable given that we paid over $3,000 for this sectional. We will be taking our business elsewhere in the future.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

We ordered a Leesa Mattress King from West Elm store in Manhattan, NY. We received a queen mattress in a box which has labels saying that it is a king mattress. We called West Elm. A rep who spoke to us that day, apologized and informed me on phone that she is initiating a replacement and we can expect a replacement in 15-20 days. More than month passed and nothing was delivered. I called West Elm again. This time the rep says, West Elm are not responsible and would never promise a replacement. Rep also says that there is nothing in call notes that talks about a replacement being initiated. Rep gives me a number to call the manufacturer (Leesa).

So I call the manufacturer and the rep at Leesa says, West Elm should actually take care of it. I told the rep the whole story and then the rep at Leesa apologizes and then says if I can send pictures of the mattress and box it the came in are sent, they will work with West Elm to determine if the replacement has to made. There is absolutely nothing else that I can do. My wife is a West Elm member and have purchased a lot of items from their store. I can assure anyone that we will not be buying anything from West Elm again and would never recommend anyone from buying anything from West Elm.

Hello Anusha,

Please accept our apologies for your West Elm purchase that arrived incorrectly. We have sent you a private message with a direct contact to reach out to if needed.

West Elm Social Media Team

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

I ordered 8 armchairs for my in-laws. They didn’t fit so I tried to exchange 6 for side chairs. I spent at least 10 hours on the phone with myriad representatives who could not issue return shipping labels because of some problem with their UPS contract. Each one tried the same things over and over after a lengthy hold time. Most seemed like nice people working part time from home with no authority and little knowledge. Frustrating. During the course of this I was referred to three managers. One never called back. One called and said she would arrange a courtesy UPS pickup but then said she was going to be gone for a while and never again returned emails. The third manager was extremely nice and can do but scheduled a pickup where the UPS guy came but would not take the packages bc we had no labels!!!

Finally he rescheduled properly and these chairs were finally gone. But now I can’t get a refund. I spoke with yet another part timer apparently because he didn’t understand why I was only credited back a small portion and he said he was not familiar with how to find employees’ extensions so I could return to the one helpful person I had come across of the 20 or so I spoke with. He said that he didn’t have power to really do anything so wanted to refer me to a manager. I declined as I’d been down that route before to no avail. Basically there are too few responsible knowledgeable and empowered customer service folks and lengthy hold times. Ridiculous. Can never order from them again. I’m so scared. Every time my kids hear me talking chairs they say “are you on the phone with West Elm again”.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018 We purchased a sofa and several other items from the Seattle store. Although things came late, we thought we would wait the extra time to get items we wanted.

We purchased the sofa at the same time as a coffee table and end table. The tables were to have a natural wood top. The end table came with not a natural wood finish but an ugly green wood top. We called and were told that we could bring it to the store and exchange for the floor model, which we did. The table came with scratches and some scrapes but we took it.

You see, we have the feeling that things always work out but I am beginning to believe the opposite. Reason? Well even though our daughters had had bad experiences with purchases and quality concerns, we ordered the sofa and were quite happy with the look. Then, after only five months of use we can’t sit on it without our backs hurting due to the structure of the cushions that have totally broken and left a huge dip on both sides of the sofa. This has caused the sofa to not be used. We would never recommend any purchase of the sofas due to these quality issues. Spend a little more if you want quality. I am very disappointed and am not sure what to do.

Hello Anne,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing this feedback with us. I'm so sorry to hear this has happened to your sofa after such a short amount of time. I've sent you a private message with my contact information so I can help.

West Elm Social Media Team

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

If nothing else, $3,000.00... I ordered a dresser for my new apartment. A few days later I ordered a bed. The time came to have the items shipped. I got on the phone. The ladies I spoke to initially were very nice people. I gave one, great reviews in a survey taken. The dresser was first. The day came. I get a call from a family member that there was a note on her door stating that the dresser delivery was attempted, but no one was home and they even tried to contact me via phone. Really? Ok. So why was I sitting there with no furniture? I called them and was told the same thing. I told them that, that address was the billing address (which you have to give since that is the address the credit card is associated with) and they were supposed to have shipped it to me and that, that was made perfectly clear on the order page and when I spoke to the lady handling the shipment scheduling process.

My number was also the number given for them to reach me, as I was asked about that specifically on that day. The lady told me I must've thought I gave this address and that it shows something else. I was put on hold for 15 mins after I stated that it wasn't my fault and to have them come over to the proper place as it was literally approx a half hour since they "attempted delivery". So all they had to do now was go in the right direction. She spoke for them without even checking on anything, saying "No, they won't after attempting delivery and no one's home." I said, "I AM HOME! So they did not attempt delivery." She put me on hold again for about 25 min. She came back on to mention rescheduling AGAIN and I said, "No, I want my things today. I am not taking time out of my day again for nothing."

She proceeded to begin with the same thing. I said, "Can I please speak to a manager?" She said, "Hold on". She put me on hold again. This whole on hold thing lasted for an hour and four minutes and I spoke to no one but her, for approx. 20 mins of that time. As this conversation with the lady began, a cable guy arrived on time as scheduled, asked me where I'd want everything, ran back to the truck for wire and a remote, completed the job entirely and neatly and at the end the system worked flawlessly. He did all of this in the time of 20 mins and left. I was still on hold. She never came back on the line and instead shifted me to another operator somehow. This one started calmer but with the same maybe it's your fault attitude. I explained that I did NOT mess up the address etc. She calmly and politely said. "Ok" and put me on hold after hearing my story.

She came back and was apologetic and said the order DOES show that I put the correct address and number etc. and she doesn't see how they could have messed this up. She said it was weird. She reassured me things would be ok. She put me on hold and came back with a shipment rep. She had an underlying disgusting attitude, like she was waiting for me to argue with her or something so that she could be nasty. She pretended to be understanding. Yet at the end, she starts with, "Ok so the first day available for delivery is..." I hit the roof. I said, "Ma'am, I am not going to wait another day and take time off from work, especially when this is completely the company's fault." I said, "I will not reschedule." If they do not drop the item by today I am going to be refunded.

I spent $3,000.00 with West Elm and they can't just drop something off at the correct address, but a cable guy can come in and do all this work in 20 mins and be gone? She said, "Well then sir there's nothing else I can help you with." If nothing else. If nothing else. I spent $3,000.00 and for what? For some delivery people to just do whatever they want? Great furniture, trashy people representing the brand. Everyone has a bad day. Everyone goes through things. This is not that. This is total neglect and lack of respect, along with covering for a terrible delivery company.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I ordered a four piece bedroom set from West Elm the beginning of Dec. The end tables arrived within 10 days and I was called to schedule a delivery. So far so good. In another 10 days the dresser was delivered however, the hardware was missing. I spoke to a representative who advised me to keep the dresser that the hardware would follow in 3 or 4 days. After 3 calls to the delivery outsourced company and 2 calls to the store no hardware had been ordered. I was on hold for almost an hour at the store and spoke to 3 different people. I was finally told the hardware would be at my home in a week or so. Although everyone apologized no one took responsibility to follow up in a week or so. The furniture is nice the service is terrible. I would never purchase from them again.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I ordered a table from West Elm on October 2 and as of yesterday the website has changed delivery times 4 times and now it only says in process. I have tried to get in contact with the furniture department through the website in addition to calling them at all times of the day but I cannot get through to a live person in the furniture department before having to hang up after excessive hold times. I'm sorry no less than 40 minutes each time is ridiculous and I have still not talked to anyone in the furniture department. I am paying for something that I cannot even use. It is a dining table and holiday wise we have already missed Thanksgiving and Christmas.

The customer service gatekeepers are no better and I would think that with a delay of this magnitude someone would have personally walked over to the furniture department to find out what the delay is and when I will be getting my items. I was an uneducated consumer because I purchased the item before reading this site, I am paying for shipping that sounds like when and if I do receive the item will be left on my doorstep. I would have never expected this from West Elm because I thought I was purchasing a quality item from a quality store but that is yet to be seen.

West Elm charges too much to have this type of service. To charge someone for something and not deliver it is fraud and I am offended by this treatment. My discretionary income is not such that I can afford to support a store who does not deliver goods in a timely fashion, they have yet to contact me to tell me anything about my purchase, encourages a pass the buck work atmosphere (the store is willing to take your order but leaves it up to you to figure out what is going on with it). Instead of opening hotels you need to make sure that your original business model is sustainable and as I has found out it is not. I do not plan on patronizing this store ever again.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Purchased a couch that was "Available" for "Quick Ship" under the false pretense that it was ready and available to be scheduled for delivery. After 2 weeks and no call to schedule a delivery, I received a notification that it would ship out 8-10 weeks later. Apparently, available just meant that the couch existed, but it still needed to come from overseas first. My guess is that they try to fill an order quota, THEN place orders with suppliers once they hit their numbers. I didn't receive it until 12 weeks after the purchase was made. Very deceiving with their shipping estimates to hook you in and take advantage of you as a paying customer.

A few months later I ordered night stands that had ink stains inside the drawers. Customer service said they would mail me a label, but it never came. 2 weeks later with a large package stuck sitting in my home, I had to reach back out to customer service about getting a label for the return. This time they emailed me a label. I don't know why the first rep didn't just send the email.

Gave them 1 more shot and ordered my wife a monogrammed jewelry box for Christmas. I paid for wrapping and when my wife opened it on Christmas, the monogram was incorrect. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to check the item for accuracy since it was wrapped. They gave me a hard time about refunding the $5 for wrapping and said the replacement would arrive today. I didn't receive any tracking info, so I just called and was just told it'll be here Thursday. Such poor communication and service. This is the only company I've ever felt offended by. Their sheer lack of responsibility for their mistakes/misinformation combined with poor quality control and customer support is enough for me to never shop there again. I'll buy items from a company who actually cares about customers and has some integrity.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

This place is a nightmare! I placed an order for throw pillows on 11/27/17 during a sale. I received the order and the quality was very poor. I returned the pillows and covers in-store on 12/9. I noticed shortly after that I was only credited 21.60 of the 105.82 total. I contacted customer service and was told that because the return was done in store, that I needed to contact the store directly. I was told the opposite when I contacted the store. I expressed my frustration to the sales clerk over the phone, and she said that she would call customer service herself (as if she were doing me a favor). The clerk called me back later that day to get my credit card number so that they could refund the missing amount to the credit card that I paid with.

I went on vacation for two weeks and came home to a store credit in the mail for the unrefunded amount. Here we go again. I contacted customer service who again was extremely unhelpful. The woman told me that she had to put a request in to void the store credit and then would "try" to refund my credit card. She was going to contact me back on Saturday with an update. As you can probably already guess, that never happened. Today (Tuesday) I call customer service yet again to have to re-explain the entire situation for what feels like the 100th time. I'm then told that I received the credit because these were final sale items.

The website did not indicate this when I purchased (or I wouldn't have) and when I told the customer service associate this, she said that it is under the return policy on the website something about items ending in a 7 or 9 are all final sale items. I go onto the West Elm website to look at the return policy and to find that information is nearly impossible. It is extremely misleading to not have items that are final sale actually marked "final sale". This was my last experience with such a horrible company. I wasn't surprised to see all of these other bad reviews. I honestly don't know how they can survive when this is how they treat customers. Luckily my credit card company reversed the charge without hassle.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Careful in being lured into the West Elm discount and delivery date promises. Making as many sales as they can on paper is more important than actual customer satisfaction and delivery of products. I ordered a couch (custom material) in early October on the promise that it would be delivered by Christmas with estimated delivery on receipt to be between 12/7 and 12/21/17, which fell between the 8-10 weeks from purchase, as stated in store (and online). That is what I was paying over $3K for and what I expected since this was a gift. The rep in the store even told me "it could even be EARLIER but that is the time frame".

Now it has been 12 weeks out and upon calling customer service last night and being placed on hold for over 48 minutes (see call image below - no joke) the rep told me the finish date has been moved to Feb 26-Mar 12. That new date would put the total time to get my couch from order at 6 months. 6 months! And no reason given... I got just "that is your new date... Anything else I can help you with?". I can't imagine that I am alone in thinking that it is a major issue for any reputable company to try to promise one date then justify 6 months to deliver any product they stand by... short of a company that is building a complete new home. Now I have to cancel order and go to a more reliable company like Restoration Hardware to get the service I expect for the price range. I normally don't write reviews but this company sunk to a new low and would have appreciated knowing in advance how terrible the experience would be.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

West Elm recently had a really great sale so I decided to buy several pieces for our living room, despite negative reviews on this site. I was extremely pleased with the whole experience. Within an hour of placing my order online, I received an email saying my furniture was ready and asked me to call a number to schedule. I called and the delivery was available three days later. They came on time as promised, with email and text updates along the way. The delivery personnel were very polite, the furniture was in perfect condition, and we are extremely happy.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Whatever you do, just don't purchase anything from this company unless you can physically walk out of a store with purchase in hand! It is simply not worth it. Their furniture delivery service is fundamentally broken. They have zero customer service and will not make any real effort to help. We purchased three pieces of West Elm's industrial modular system as a wall unit and experienced nothing but trouble from the very beginning. Two of the pieces were backordered but we could never track their delivery status online using our order number. Even though we paid for home set up and delivery through their delivery company large boxes were dumped on our lawn with no notice.

In one case my 75 year old mother in law and 16 year old son had to lug a box into the house. I have had to call their customer service line multiple times to get basic information, and have been put on hold for a MINIMUM of 43 minutes each time. When the last piece finally arrived, there was a crack in the cabinet door. West Elm was no more capable of resolving this problem. After more calls they again just dumped the replacement piece on our lawn with no notice even though it was suppose to delivered and set up by their delivery company. In the end, I had to directly call the company and schedule them to come out even though this was suppose to be done by West Elm.

And after all that hassle, they, of course, sent the incorrect replacement piece. I called again and was told the correct reorder would be placed and someone would call me back. Of course that didn't happen so after two calls where nothing was done, I waited on hold for over an hour and finally spoke with someone who verified the correct replacement order had never been placed. Finally after I insisted she do it while I was on the phone, the correct replacement order was placed and I received an actual order number.

I am not confident, however, that this will be the end of it. Really, just run away from this company. Their furniture department is incompetent and completely incapable of handling even the slightest problem. We ended up finding a great locally owned furniture store and purchase a number of items to complete our remodel. The experience was night and day.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I ordered a gift card on December 4th, 2017. When it didn't arrive in the mail within 8-0 days, I called and explained my concern that I had not received it. I was told I would have to wait a full 12 business days before they would do anything about it. I waited the full 12 days, and when it did not arrive on Dec. 20th, I attempted to call and have the card resent (they earlier said if it did not come within the 12 business days, they would over-night a new card). In my first attempt to call, I waited over an hour and was still on hold. I hung up and tried again about 2 hours later. This time I waited 45 minutes and was finally connected with a customer service representative. This young man told me that my best option for getting my card in time for Christmas was to drive 2 hours + round trip to pick one up in the nearest city! When I asked what happened to sending it over-night, as promised, I was told he didn't know anything about that!

I asked to speak to a supervisor, and after ANOTHER 30 minute wait, I spoke with "Courtney". Courtney explained she could do nothing until the next day at 3:00pm. That was the earliest she could "try" and work on the problem. She assured me she would call me the next day. She never did. She finally sent me an email and told me she could not issue me another card until the first one was voided. She didn't know when that would happen. But she did tell me I could go ahead and purchase an E-card so I would have the gift for Christmas, and she assured me she would refund my original purchase! They would not take care of anything while I was on the phone. They would only send "requests" to void my card and issue another. It turns out, their cards are issued via a third party, so they had no control over what happened to them!

The icing on the cake was that the very next day, after they sent a request for the card to be canceled, I received the card in the mail. 17 days after ordering it. But now we had submitted the request to have it voided, so you guessed it, I could only send a "request" to have the card reinstated! Since December 21st, I have heard NOTHING from this company. I do not know if the gift card has been canceled or not. I had to wrap it and give it to the person it was for, and tell her it actually might not work. I have never experienced worse customer service. I will never shop at West Elm again and neither should you.

West Elm expert review by ConsumerAffairs

West Elm is a branch of Williams-Sonoma, Inc., that was founded in 2002. Ninety percent of their products are designed in-house from organic and sustainably sourced materials.

• Fair Trade Certified™: All of West Elm’s products are Fair Trade Certified™. Fair Trade is a movement that creates sustainable opportunities for workers through trade agreements. A percentage of product cost at West Elm is paid directly to a worker’s fund.

• West Elm LOCAL: The West Elm LOCAL program finds local workers and features their products in West Elm stores. This program builds local economies and grows small businesses.

• Design services: West Elm offers services like room planners, inspiration articles and consultations with stylists and designers. Costs for consultations can vary.

• West Elm blog: West Elm’s blog contains posts about company news, design trends, lifestyles and consumer profiles. The blog also contains links to guest features from publications like Architectural Digest and The Atlantic.

• Brand extensions: West Elm’s various branches include West Elm Workspace, West Elm Hotels and West Elm To the Trade. These groups focus on workspace products, hospitality products and trade deals for brands respectively.

• Best for: West Elm is best for businesses and consumers who want to support local workers and Fair Trade with their purchases.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
    ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

West Elm Company Information

www.westelm.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use