3.8/5 (88 ratings)

About Ace Hardware

Ace Hardware is a hardware retailer with more than 5,000 stores across the globe. Customers can shop from many different top brands to find what they need for home maintenance and repair. Many Ace hardware stores are independently owned and operated.

Ace Hardware Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ace Hardware?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ace Hardware?

Original review: July 26, 2022

I purchased a replacement key fob 2 1/2 months ago and the key stopped working. It has left my daughter stranded at school. The Duncanville/Dallas locate told me that the warranty is for 2 weeks. This was not discussed when I purchased the key nor did I receive anything in writing saying it was good for 2 weeks. I paid nearly $200 dollars. Alex, the manager, originally offered to refund the money if I could bring him the key. He called back and said that the owner and corporate said he couldn't. This was the 1st time I had used Ace in a long time. I WILL NEVER SHOP THERE AGAIN. I now have to ship a broken key to her to try and get the car to a location to get the key fob reprogrammed. I was told that was my responsibility.

Original review: May 11, 2022

Similar to most rewards programs, with Ace Hardware rewards, when you buy something, you get rewards 10 points per dollar spent. But:

- To use those rewards, it can take upwards of a month to apply it to something you buy next time. You won't see this minute but important point on the customer end, but call their customer service and they'll reveal it.
- To make it worse, let's say you were lucky and the reward is working. But the exclusions list for applying Ace rewards is almost all the products 'the average hardware store shopper' would 'normally' buy at a hardware store.

- Most of the major hardware product brands (sold by Ace hardware as well) are excluded for rewards usage by default regardless.

So the probability is very low for real usage of Ace rewards for something a customer might actually want to buy, rather than getting tricked into using 'free money' from rewards to buy something customer didn't want to buy to begin with. It's a gimmick. It's a terrible copy of rewards programs used by competitor hardware stores.

And the cherry on top is Ace Hardware's telephone customer service. Wow. Unbelievably terrible. They will provide absolutely zero help regarding rewards. They will say something along the lines of "I don't know, whatever the website says is what we see also and there is nothing we can do'. Ready for some laughs about what's excluded from rewards at a 'hardware store'? Check out the Ace hardware rewards exclusions list that can be found on the link below: https://acehardware.bold360ps.com/Payments-Pricing/Exclusions/

My 2 cents is don't support unethically operated businesses like this. Take your valuable money to another business who doesn't trick you with half truths and unpractical jargon. I have rated 1 star out of 5 stars because a less than 1 star rating was not possible. If it was, I would give something as close to 0 stars as possible.

Get buying tips about Lighting Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

BUYER BEWARE - ACE HARDWARE WILL NOT HONOR A CRAFTSMAN LIFETIME WARRANTY AFTER 90 DAYS. After 90 days since purchase you have to contact the manufacturer directly for an exchange. I called ACE’s Customer Service line and was told the same thing. Never again will I pay a premium for Craftsmen hand tools at ACE Hardware.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

They shipped half of my order to me - and half elsewhere! They won't ship me the other half - "it's already been delivered". So now I'm going to have to find it and go get it myself or buy it again. Never had this problem with other big box stores. Don't waste your time and money with these morons.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2021

This was a simple order that was for 4 strands of red and 6 strands of green LED Christmas lights. The total order with shipping and tax came to $141.98. When I received the confirmation I laughed because the order looked like I had ordered 16 boxes which you will see with the attached picture, but of the the 10 total strands actually ordered, 6 were being shipped to me, as I wanted them to, but the other 4 were being shipped to my local store for pickup. I immediately emailed them back because I was shocked that someone in order entry would not have questioned this order and called or emailed me asking if this was my intention.

They informed me that they could not change the order and entered it according to customers selection. How I selected this was ridiculous, but it told me that Ace Hardware did NOT make it clear AT ALL when I was checking out like most stores do, but even more so for them not to contact me and question it just shows you the lack of customer care and service.

Five days after I placed the order my 4 boxes were ready for pickup at Ace Hardware and I was still waiting for the other 6 to get to my house. Another 5 days went by and when I didn't get the six that were shipped to my home I contacted Ace Hardware and inquired as to where my shipment was because I couldn't track the order. The response from Sonia D. still has me upset because she gave me the tracking number that I did not have, and actually told me to contact FedEx as to the delay. I couldn't believe it because first of all I don't have a FedEx account, second of all this isn't my property to be calling on. I have to say I was so upset that I replied to her and told her how shocked I was that she would actually be telling me to do her job.

I'm still shocked as I'm typing this because I'm wondering if this is Ace Hardware's policy and total lack of customer service or is this an employee who is just extremely lazy. The real kicker was right below her name is Ace Hardware's motto which is: "Helpful is our Business - Caring Is our Commitment." My order showed total lack of commitment or helpfulness and I will tell you about a year-and-a-half ago we stopped purchasing our water from our local Ace Hardware because of their laziness also. An ending note is also that after this order I ended up ordering another 16 boxes of lights from Menards which would have been another $307.78. If Ace Hardware was more caring or helpful I would have never looked elsewhere. Those $307 orders add up when you have dissatisfied customers.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

Did not honor their ACE Rewards program. I emailed 3 RFI's and they chose not to respond (I don't think that they ever do). Incredibly poor customer service. Tried 2 different stores with same results - nothing.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

Ordered a Mastercraft smoker on Nov. 12. I get a notice on late Nov 15th that my order has been cancelled with no explanation. This smoker was supposed to be for Thanksgiving. They continue to advertise and take orders for it off their site. This is deceiving at best. I agree with some of the other post that going into the store is much better but ordering online with ACE is a mistake. It should be called Joker Hardware not Ace.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

I went to Ace Hardware which is Gus Brooke out in Lansing Illinois to exchange a Craftsman tool where she told me they do not do online orders and they were very mad about talking to me so I called Ace Hardware customer service. Spoke to a Spanish customer service representative and he was clueless. How can Ace Hardware operate like this? Shame on you people.

Original review: June 8, 2021

Buyer beware! Ace Hardware uses a "bait and switch" approach. When called out on it, they repeatedly state it is the same product, even after proving proof they are not. The company refuses to pick up fake product and take responsibility for this practice. They pass the buck to the pick up location store, which cannot do anything either because it is an online problem. These tactics are to get the customer to just give up. After purchasing an $600+ product you think they would want to keep you as a customer. Horrible experience and on-line practice.

Original review: May 4, 2021

Buyer Beware! You cannot return purchases if they are USED. I purchased via Ace online a Corona ComfortGel 40.72" length weeder for about $16 plus tax, and had it delivered to a local Ace affiliated hardware store nearby, Tashmans on Santa Monica Blvd in West Hollywood, CA for my pickup. Unsure if this would be ideal, I left all the tags and wrap on and tried the tip out to weed. Didn't like it and returned it well within the 30 days. The clerk cheerfully gave me a credit but when the manager discovered she took back a return that was 'used' he was livid and I found myself facing off this manager who came at me as if I was going to relinquish my credit back. I was still in the store having keys made, etc.

First off, it literally had a little bit of dirt on the tip which I saw the manager easily rub off with his fingers. I had only tried it out once, maybe twice, to make sure I didn't want it. I had ended up purchasing an upgraded more expensive Corona weeder that cost $30 and that performed far superior than this long handled stick thing I had just returned. Secondly, I learned that returns can only be returned if unused. How ridiculous is that? It is at the discretion of the affiliated Ace store whether or not they accept your used return. My return was not abused or filthy and had all the tags still attached on it. All it has was a little bit of dry dirt on the tip. Literally a little bit. I do not intend to purchase anything further from Ace Hardware stores especially with this low level of customer service and satisfaction.

Ace Hardware Company Information