Ace Hardware

Ace Hardware Reviews

About Ace Hardware

Ace Hardware is a hardware retailer with more than 5,000 stores across the globe. Customers can shop from many different top brands to find what they need for home maintenance and repair. Many Ace hardware stores are independently owned and operated.

Ace Hardware Reviews

Stars Rating

• 23%
  • 18%
  • 14%
  • 1%
  • 44%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ace Hardware?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ace Hardware?
    Profile pic of the author.
    Customer Service

Reviewed May 31, 2024

Horrible experience. First time, last time. Purchased an item, received an email the item was ready for pick at the store selected, as we’re getting ready to pick up the item, get an email the order has been canceled and a refund issued. WHAT! Make up your mind. Called the Customer Support line and another waste of time. Rather than make things right, they basically said I’m not so many words. Sucks to be you. Figured to give Ace a shot for the sale item. Should have went to a competitor. Next time I will. One and done with them.

Reviewed April 27, 2024

I bought 4 bags of this "potting soil" last week. It was actually lumps of clay mixed with sand and rocks. I am really disappointed. It has no nutrients, the only organic matter was some stray sticks. Ace should know better than to put their name on this crap. I feel they owe their customers an apology.

Get buying tips about Lighting Stores delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Verified purchase
      Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedOnline & App

Reviewed April 11, 2024

I ordered 22 items from website, all showing in stock at store and available for curbside pickup in 15 minutes. Once order was received I got an email stating that my order was « Once order was received. I got an email stating that my order was « not yet ready. «  Upon reviewing the details of this email. It was disclosed that two of the items were in fact not ready for pick up and not at the store. The expected date that I could pick them up was a full week later. I then canceled those two items and continued to wait.

After three hours had gone by I went back to check the progress of my order. At that point it showed that all of the items on this order or in fact, not ready for any kind of curbside pick up, but that I would not be able to pick them up for another week. I contacted customer service at that point, requesting some clarification on their «. At that point it showed that all of the items on this order or in fact, not ready for any kind of curbside pick up, but that I would not be able to pick them up for another week. I contacted customer service at that point, requesting some clarification on their « curbside pick up « « and this was the response:

"Thank you for contacting the Ace Care Center. We always strive to provide amazing service and have taken care of your request.

We can just provide an estimated date and if the website told you it was on stock in 15 minutes that for the pick up orders the delivery date is depending the delivery schedule of the store.

After that can be that the store realized they didn't have it on stock so they change the status as coming from the warehouse, and every store receive a truck at least one day every week.

I see half of the order is cancelled by your request ** but the other half not, that is a pick up order **, that is coming from the warehouse. Please let us know if you want that we cancel that one too.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact us."

So I then went back on the website figuring they must have realized they don’t have it in stock. When I searched for these items again, once more, it said in stock and available for curbside pick up in 15 minutes. It looks like Ace has a policy of lying to its customers until after the sale has been completed. If you want a company that actually delivers on its promises, you’d best look elsewhere.

Verified purchase
      Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Dec. 2, 2023

We purchased a rv water pressure regulator from the Davis Ace Hardware in Springerville Arizona. We installed it, it did not work as intended. The water flow was very slow. We fussed with it for a while, with no change. It would not work as needed. My wife took it back for a refund a week later when she was heading into town. With the open package, and receipt in hand, she politely asked for a refund. She was exposed to having to go through several level of scrutiny, by different employees, at one point having to wait five to tens minutes while they chose to test it. An older gentleman came back and told her that it works. My wife said, it didn't work for us, and he said, "It works here."

My wife ask for a manager, and made contact with the owner. The owner said they could not return it, they had to make a storewide policy that if the item worked, they wouldn't accept returns. The reason she gave, was because people are returning air-conditioners, and heaters after using them for a couple of weeks. My wife said, she would not do something like that, and also replied, "So I just suppose to put this part in a drawer that doesn't work." The owner replied,"Oh I doubt that will happen."

My wife returned home very distraught, as she has never gone through such scrutiny for simply returning an item at an Ace Hardware store. We later put the regulator on, just to see it still not work. Our original was only replaced due to it had developed a leak, otherwise worked flawlessly. A few days later my wife called the manufacturer of the regulator and they were very accommodating. A Mr. ** was surprised to hear about issue, and advised to try again and let Davis Ace Hardware know, they will stand behind the product. If they had any issues that they could call him and he would verify it.

The following day I returned to Davis Ace Hardware and politely asked for a refund, stating my wife was in a few days ago and was not able to get a refund. I was referred to another employee and sharply told no we will not refund that item. I explained the part does not work as I have reinstalled it after they tested it and it still does not work. The employee stated "The owner has already made a ruling on this, and she had previously came down and talked to your wife about it." The employee said, they will not return it. I left without what I would call a fair resolution.

Essentially it as though both my wife and I were called liars. It is very unlikely at the store they were able to duplicate pressure and flow through the regulator that would be consistent under its intended use. My wife had asked them if they wanted to come over and test it with us, they were welcome. They said they could not do that, which I understand, but we had nothing to hide.

My assessment of the experience is due to the return policies being abused by others, we were victimized by their stereotyping. If we are doing something wrong, I get it, however we had a malfunction part, returned it with receipt a week later under the sixty days as required on the receipt. We did nothing wrong, but it was implied we had. To say the least it was a very disappointing experience.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Aug. 25, 2023

Ace Hardware in Susupe in Saipan. I already open claim to Attorney General. I will report to BBB, Consumer Affairs and all. I bought hose 08/24 then asked for refund 08/25 with same condition because the item is not washer hose but they denied because the product is soaker hose, not refundable. There is no damage at all, can not deny for no reason. I called Lois ** Ace Hardware cor MP to complain. Lois called Supervisor Angie and Angie lie to Lois that I bought 2 days ago and there is water in the hose. This business hurting innocent people by wrongdoing, lie, unreasonable policy. Why nonody explained to me before I purchase this is not refundable item. Why 2 employees eager to find items and recommended to me when I ask longer hose for washing machine? Why this Supervisor Angie lie to Company in front of customer. I recorded the lies.

It is only $29 lost. She took my receipt and products for no reason. I don't want to go back there again to ask my receipt and items. In the US, customer have their right to refund if the item is not damaged, not depend on it's Angie's good day or not. Company has to educate employee not to recommend soaker hose for washer machine. And if the item is not refundable has to customer know that's not refundable. Not up to ANGIE's mood.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed July 30, 2023

We have been going to this store for over 10 years now, not to mention we have spent thousands in this store over time. Most of the time we have a decent experience. HOWEVER....today we were treated like garbage by an employee named Carl, an older, know it all man with a terrible attitude and he talked down to my wife like she was stupid or something.

We were trying to get a key copied as we have done SEVERAL times in the past. They said they would not do it because we didn't purchase the key from them. Even though we have done this numerous time in the recent past for our car, motorcycle and 5th wheel. The customer in front of us got a key cut that he didn't purchase at Ace. The manager, Colin, a kid no more than 20 years old was contradicting himself about the 'rules" about cutting keys. He told us to go to the Ace Hardware in Gilroy to get our key cut because their rules are different. REALLY???? Wouldn't a "rule" be company wide? Well, they wouldn't do it for us, so we wont be going there anymore.

Sales & MarketingPriceProcess

Reviewed July 27, 2023

As of July 27, 2023, this program is less of a benefit. The new rewards coupon is Get $5.00 off of $30.00 spent regular price items. This just change from Get $5.00 when spending $20.00. And a while back it was to get $7.00 off. Does not work with sales items. This program has less and less value, not worth participating. We all know we have been stuck with higher prices due to someone's inflation economics. But cost have come down, but retailers are not pass their lower cost to the consumer.

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed June 7, 2023

Think twice before buying any item online and privately owned stores since they claim they are “not affiliated” with each other and each store has the right to deny you a refund with a valid receipt regardless of company policy. I purchased an Ego battery that would charge but not hold longer than 30 min. while in use. 3 days later I tried to return it only to be refused a refund/exchange. This item does not qualify as gas equipment as the owner stated, I hope the $180 is worth him losing local business. I was also told by the manager, to “take the battery and get out of his store” when asking for them to show me the store policy and his last name. Unfortunately, shopping local to support a business was a mistake. I also emailed corporate and never received a response and called customer service with no resolution. No seems to know their policy and makes it up as you talk to them!

PriceStaff

Reviewed June 1, 2023

On 5/22/23 I purchased a GE Universal remote to control my Vizio TV it would not set up or work the TV, today I went to return the remote for credit and was told I could not return it because I had opened the package. I told the clerk if I did not open it, I would never know if it would work or not. I was rather shocked to see that an Ace Hardware store would not credit me for the remote that I purchased that would not do what I bought it to do.

He also told me I did not read the directions correctly; I told him the directions were inside the package I had to open it to get them. I told the man that I would never buy anything else from that store. He went on to tell me he could not resale it because it had been opened, he said he would lose money and must just throw it away, I told him that was what I was going to have to do. He said if I went to Best Buy and bought something and opened it, they would not take it back. I went on to tell him this was America and most retailers will allow you to return merchandise for a refund. That is just common-sense customer service. At the end of our disagreement regarding the return he told to get out of his store, The price with tax was $9.23 it is a sad day when a store owner would pretty much run a customer off and lose future business over $9.23. The guy was abrasive and confrontational. Store info: Elistway Ace Hardware Jacksonville, FL 32221

Price

Reviewed April 12, 2023

I've tried over a dozen times to place an order with Ace Hardware, yet due to their unbelievably high shipping costs, I never have and NEVER will! I'm the procurement manager for our corporation, make ALL purchasing decisions and choose our suppliers, in which case Ace will never get our high-end business vs. all other suppliers of our industrial needs that offer FREE SHIPPING or extremely low, reasonable shipping. Example - had 3 cans of lacquer thinner in their cart, then when I went to check out the price DOUBLED due to their thievingly, over the top, high shipping. Bought it way cheaper from another reputable supplier, for the EXACT SAME THINNER, with FREE SHIPPING. Their HUGE loss!

Ace Hardware Company Information