2. Homeowners
  3. Lighting Stores

3.9/5 (228 ratings)

About Ace Hardware

Ace Hardware is a hardware retailer with more than 5,000 stores across the globe. Customers can shop from many different top brands to find what they need for home maintenance and repair. Many Ace hardware stores are independently owned and operated.

Ace Hardware Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ace Hardware?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ace Hardware?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I love the personalized service at Ace. And the last time I used their paint the color and quality were great and there was no bad smell!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Years ago I was introduced to woodworking and won the Industrial Arts Medallion Award and every sense I’ve had a passion in creating wood projects. I happen to go into Ace and was extremely pleased with the quality of lumber they carried. After my purchase I couldn’t wait to get started of building a pine clothing chest and was amazed how well it came out. When family saw it the orders started coming in. Three days later going back to Ace for more lumber the clerk noticed that I back and after sharing the photos of the project they too wanted a chest made. So with my new found friends at Ace I look forward to shopping there. Being at home durning this pandemic it make it easier to go right in and they know what I’m there for.

Get buying tips about Lighting Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 8, 2021

Buyer beware! Ace Hardware uses a "bait and switch" approach. When called out on it, they repeatedly state it is the same product, even after proving proof they are not. The company refuses to pick up fake product and take responsibility for this practice. They pass the buck to the pick up location store, which cannot do anything either because it is an online problem. These tactics are to get the customer to just give up. After purchasing an $600+ product you think they would want to keep you as a customer. Horrible experience and on-line practice.

Original review: May 4, 2021

Buyer Beware! You cannot return purchases if they are USED. I purchased via Ace online a Corona ComfortGel 40.72" length weeder for about $16 plus tax, and had it delivered to a local Ace affiliated hardware store nearby, Tashmans on Santa Monica Blvd in West Hollywood, CA for my pickup. Unsure if this would be ideal, I left all the tags and wrap on and tried the tip out to weed. Didn't like it and returned it well within the 30 days. The clerk cheerfully gave me a credit but when the manager discovered she took back a return that was 'used' he was livid and I found myself facing off this manager who came at me as if I was going to relinquish my credit back. I was still in the store having keys made, etc.

First off, it literally had a little bit of dirt on the tip which I saw the manager easily rub off with his fingers. I had only tried it out once, maybe twice, to make sure I didn't want it. I had ended up purchasing an upgraded more expensive Corona weeder that cost $30 and that performed far superior than this long handled stick thing I had just returned. Secondly, I learned that returns can only be returned if unused. How ridiculous is that? It is at the discretion of the affiliated Ace store whether or not they accept your used return. My return was not abused or filthy and had all the tags still attached on it. All it has was a little bit of dry dirt on the tip. Literally a little bit. I do not intend to purchase anything further from Ace Hardware stores especially with this low level of customer service and satisfaction.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

2nd time I've made a purchase online at my chosen store and when I arrived or called they did NOT have the item in stock they claimed to have online. Avoid doing business with this "Retailer". My mistake was making the same mistake twice. Won't happen again for any purchase!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

My husband and I used an Ace gift card on 12/30/2020 to purchase a Blackstone griddle for same day in-store pickup via their website. Approximately 2 hours after completing our online order we received an email from Ace CANCELLING the order. The reason was their local store didn’t have sufficient stock. We go back to their website to reorder the griddle from a different local Ace store, only to discover they never refunded our gift card when they canceled our order. Long story short, after 2 weeks of emailing and calling and being given countless excuses, we still had NOT received our $228.95 refund.

Since we had used a gift card and had no recourse with filing a dispute with our bank/credit card company, we ultimately felt we had no other choice but to file a complaint with BBB. Thankfully, within 2 days of filing the complaint, our problem was resolved, but it NEVER should’ve taken such extreme measures to get the refund we were RIGHTFULLY owed. We were shocked to see numerous complaints on BBB for the SAME issue. Several people fought Ace for MONTHS before being refunded!! So... BEWARE!! If you ever use an Ace gift card and have your order canceled, you may find yourself not refunded and fighting an uphill battle to get your funds back. We will NEVER shop @ Ace again.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

Zero stars is too generous a rating for the disservice and disrespect I received from Ace Hardware's cavalcade or contemptible curs. As far as I'm concerned, the entire operation couldn't go bankrupt fast enough to suit me. I purchased an Ace component online that failed to live up to its product specifications due to poor workmanship and inferior materials. The product, manufactured by Ace, is marked with an Ace Satisfaction Guarantee. Apparently, the Ace satisfaction guarantee isn't worth the cardboard it's printed on.

I called Ace customer service. The Ace agent instructed me to place an order for a replacement product online, using my credit card, and have the replacement item shipped to my local Ace store. I followed the Ace representative's directions to the letter. The Ace agent also instructed me to take the defective cord to my local Ace store. He said as soon as the old cord is returned to the Ace Hardware store, he would credit my credit card for the amount I paid for the replacement item. Once again, I followed the Ace customer service person's specific instructions verbatim. Did I receive a refund? No. Instead, the Ace customer service person bamboozled me into thinking I would. I attempted to speak to a supervisor about this deception, but no Ace customer support agent would connect me to one.

Do yourself a favor, folks. Make your life a helluva lot easier by taking all your business to Ace's fine competitors. Unlike the belligerent, duplicitous nincompoops at Ace, these superior business entities treat a customer as a necessity, rather than an adversary. There's an old adage in business. If you don't take care of the customer, somebody else will. Bye-bye Ace. You're a disgrace.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

Purchased a trash can and Yetti mug, with a total of $14 shipping for both. They shipped the Yetti mug, but didn’t advise the trash can was no longer available. Charged me $14 to ship the Yetti mug, which based on their site would 5.33 to ship. They are willing to give me 7 dollars back, still profiting off my shipping, not to mention. The loss of my coupon too.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

I purchased a patio door handle and it was shipped on August 25, 2020 (Order # **). It arrived damaged. I tried to return it to North Plymouth (MA) Ace Hardware; the owner refused to help. After 2 phone calls (Lisette & Shelley, spelling?) on September 17th, I had an Incident # ... **. I sent pictures to the email they gave me. Another phone call (Diteria, spelling?) said I was given the wrong email address. I sent the pictures again on Sept 24th. Still no response. On October 10th I called again (Aleesha, spelling?) to check status ... still haven't heard.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

Ace Hardware is a great company when you go and shop inside the store. But be aware of online orders. Highly unprofessional customer service that barely speaks English. Items get lost, undelivered or come damaged 8 times out of 10. Stay away from online orders if you value your time and nerves!!!

Ace Hardware Company Information