2. Mortgages
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.57/5

Vanderbilt Mortgage and Finance, Inc. is a national housing lender that has been in business for more than 40 years, specializing in new and used manufactured and modular homes.

Vanderbilt Mortgage offers a variety of financing programs for customers with great credit, less than perfect credit, and for first time homebuyers. We help families just like yours find the right financing program to obtain the home of their dreams.

Contact our team of experts today, and let us help you start the process of becoming a homeowner.

Vanderbilt Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanderbilt Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanderbilt Mortgage?

Original review: May 15, 2020

My credit is not that great. Also, my wife filed for bankruptcy four years ago. So with our income, our credit situation and with what we were wanting, Vanderbilt Mortgage gave ve us a fair deal. The application took about 20 minutes. It wasn't very long. The only thing that really took so long was because we couldn't make up our mind which house we wanted. Now we've already got our house and it's already set up, for the most part.

We went over a little bit more than what we wanted to spend per month but in the long run, it would not be as bad as we thought. I was also including the lot rent, but we had talked to my wife's parents and wound up putting it on their property. Now, we won’t have a lot rent so the little bit more we have on our house payment isn't that hard. If we would have the lot rent, I probably wouldn't have taken it.

When we first talked to the rep from Vanderbilt, she said that she was busy and every time we called, she couldn't pick up the phone. But for the most part, she’d call us back in a timely manner. Also, Todd was really good, and Abbie was the one lady that we talked to quite often and she was the one that would call us back most of the time. They did a good enough job. Now we're wanting to set up our house payment every two weeks but I don't know who I need to contact. But they did say that we could just call than they could point us in the right direction. For the most part, we had a great experience with Vanderbilt Mortgage.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: May 14, 2020

I filled out the Vanderbilt application and my boyfriend sent it to them. The guy wasn’t there that Friday but I brought the paperwork up there. One of the ladies who was like the receptionist made a copy and put it on his desk. Two weeks later, the guy from Tennessee was like, “I need this.” I told him that it has been up on the other guy's desk for the past two weeks. I didn't know why that guy had not faxed it to him. I told him that if my boyfriend was not happy then I was not happy. They would need something from him but they would call me every time. Every time my boyfriend would try to call, he could never get the guy that we were going through on the phone.

They had my boyfriend's number and if they needed something from him, they should have called him because I told them that if they could not get a hold of him, they should just leave a message and he would call them back. He would know exactly what they were talking about. If they need something from a specific person on the application, they should call them. When my boyfriend calls, he should be able to get ahold of them instead of them calling me instead.

The loan officer we had was great. I had no problems with this person as well as the guy in Tennessee. The one I had a problem with, however, was the one in Sumter. It was a whole communication thing. It was pretty much a failure in communication, especially when it came to my boyfriend. The guy wanted to give us a gift card for $2,500 to get our stove, fridge, washer, and dryer. We said, “No, we can’t. There’s nothing at Lowe’s that’s in stock.” The stove and the fridge each cost $1000 each, not to mention the washer and dryer are at least $500 each, if not more. I bought all these appliances before. $2500 was not gonna cover it.

Also, we were not told that we could customize certain things in our house. The guy that came out and fixed a few things that were wrong was like, “They don't tell you this, but…” We were gonna replace probably our dining room and our front room with ceiling fans with the light in it. That same guy came out here and fixed the front door that was crooked. You had to pull really tight to get it to click then there’s a big old gap at the top so if it rains, the rain would come in. One of our windows was broken and a few other things. That guy was the one that told us that we could have just had the few customizations that we would have liked before we signed the paperwork.

From the first day we went up there to the day we saw on the closing paperwork, the process was between 30 days and 45 days. Overall, I’m happy with the Tennessee office and pretty much everyone, except for the Sumter office. But the communication could have been a little bit better. Also, we can do the payment but it's a little high. Other than those, I would definitely recommend them. The overall quality is pretty good. There are just the little things here and there that we noticed, but it's not a big deal. My boyfriend does construction so he can see it pretty much before anyone else can.

Original review: April 27, 2020

I was looking at homes and when I decided what house I wanted to try to purchase, I was told what loan companies the builder worked with. And they recommended that I go with Vanderbilt, so I went with them. Everything took a good while to get finalized because my husband works with a lot of different companies, so it was taking them a really long time to get in touch with his employers. I told them that when the contract is up and he’s finished in the plant, he gets laid off then just waits for the next job. I was trying to explain to them the kind of work he does and they needed stuff explaining the gap period.

Also, there was one girl named Wendy who was kinda working on our stuff but she wouldn’t contact me about anything and it would be a week or longer before I ever heard from her. She asked me if there was any way I could get in touch with his employers, which would help out a lot, so my husband and I were trying to call whoever we could think of. He was trying to get numbers from everybody and we were calling and trying to hassle people into whatever we needed so Vanderbilt could get what they needed.

When I would call Wendy, I would leave messages and she wouldn’t return my calls. And I would email her but she wouldn’t email me back. When she did, it was just to say, "Hello. I still can’t get in touch with anyone, but I’m working on it”. So, I was really aggravated and I felt like I wasn’t in the loop, but I was doing everything that she asked me to do. If Wendy felt like she couldn't get in touch with anybody, she should’ve asked for a little more help or given it to somebody else earlier. And when I asked her if she could give the case over to someone else, it sounded like she was really upset that I asked that. She was kinda rude about it but she turned it over to her supervisor. Once it was switched over to her supervisor, they got in touch with everybody they needed to get in touch with and it was done.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

The application and underwriting process with Vanderbilt took around six weeks, which was quicker than I thought it was gonna be. The rep did a great job and they were very helpful and patient with me. They kept me informed on everything especially if you thought it was a little bit over the time limit that you were counting on. They would let you know what the holdup was. There was nothing left unexplained, which really made it good because you knew exactly what was going on and they exceeded the expectation by doing that. They did a fantastic job with that. Whenever they needed anything, they would let me know and I would get it to them. If I needed anything from them, I would ask them to send it to my email address and that way I could look at it and see what I’m doing. So, it worked out fine.

The people were very pleasant. If I called especially during a busy time of the day, they would let me know that someone would get back to me. All I needed to do was leave my name and phone number, and within a matter of an hour, they were back in touch with me. Each time I’ve reached a different person, they gave me their name and they were very pleasant, caring and wanted to offer their help. I’ve helped some people go through getting their home and this is one of the best experiences I’ve ever had. I have even sent people and recommended them to deal with them because it was such a good experience with us.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

I really like Vanderbilt Mortgage. My mother and I were getting a mobile home and were told that we were going through Vanderbilt Mortgage. The first call from them was great. They stayed in touch with us while in the loan process. They were polite and answered all our questions. And when we called them, they made sure that we got our answer. They might’ve put us on hold to talk to someone, but they helped us. At first, we had one rep but she couldn’t be with us anymore. Then we had another one. I also talked to some guy. All of them were professional. There was a lot I didn’t understand, but they helped me. If I didn’t understand something, they broke it down for me to understand.

When we first started, they went by my mother’s and my income. They gave us the numbers and how much to come down with. We were gonna use repo mobile home for the down payment and then $4,000 to go with the repo. They said yes at first, but a couple of weeks later, the numbers changed. About every two weeks, somebody called me and said that the numbers changed. Then it went up more money, then they called me back. It changed five times.

I thought that we would never get the mobile home because we didn't have $11,000. Also, our first payment is in the first week of March. I had talked to someone about a month ago and the lady said they were gonna mail us something about where to go and what to put on the money order, but I have not received anything. I was satisfied with everything else though.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

We've had nothing but a great experience with Vanderbilt. The whole entire application process to be totally approved took about between two to three weeks for everything. I did the application and somebody got back with me very quickly. They asked us some questions about where we'd like to keep our payments, what would we be able to put down and we worked with that. They got us a better deal than what we were really expecting as far as our down payment and our monthly payments. We were just totally pleased.

The rep was wonderful. She answered all my questions. She was available any and every time that I needed to talk to her. Sending documents, we did it through email. It was just perfect. They praised me because I have gotten everything done, which usually takes about five weeks, in about two weeks. The transparency was great, ‘cause we have some messed up credit. Income-wise, we knew that we were gonna make it. But this is our first time home, so we've never bought one before. So, getting them to help us understand every step of the way was great. Once we applied, at first the down payment was 11,000. We were like, “Oh, okay.” But then when they finally came through, the down payment was 2,000 cheaper. We were able to get that paid off, no problem. Everything went smoothly. I didn't have any problems doing the loan.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

Chris ** with VMF went above and beyond to help relieve some stress for me while I was on maternity leave and waiting for my benefits to kick in! He was able to extend two payments for me which was such a big help! I definitely suggest giving VMF a call to see what they can do for you if you need help making payments!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

I was sold my home in August 2005 and Vanderbilt approved my credit. I was proud that they were giving me a new home. After that problems with the home surfaced and the people I talked to were rude and did not want to help me. I was left with many repairs that I did not have the money for. The Vanderbilt mortgage company was always kind to me. I am just glad to get the home paid for and be able to do some repairs.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

It's been really good with Vanderbilt Mortgage. They were really easy with me getting up my down payment. They were always concerned and helping me in any way they knew how to.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

They are very good, professional and understanding. I had no problems. I call and if they aren't available, they call right back. The are very reasonable and easy to deal with. I would refer them to anyone.

Vanderbilt Mortgage Company Information