4.77/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Vanderbilt Mortgage and Finance, Inc. is a national housing lender that has been in business for more than 40 years, specializing in new and used manufactured and modular homes.

Vanderbilt Mortgage offers a variety of financing programs for customers with great credit, less than perfect credit, and for first time homebuyers. We help families just like yours find the right financing program to obtain the home of their dreams.

Contact our team of experts today, and let us help you start the process of becoming a homeowner.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1798 Vanderbilt Mortgage Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Vanderbilt's application and underwriting process took close to two months. The closing was very simple. I told them the challenges that I had, and they found solutions to it. We had a challenge because we had a home that we had to do a deed in lieu on. It is in a very difficult area in Tulsa, and it was getting robbed on such a frequent basis that there wasn’t much left, and we tried putting people in it, and they'd come home and find the thieves in it, and we couldn't do anything. That was four years before that, and so they asked us to do a deed in lieu. The banks wouldn't touch us, as a result of it. They said, "You have to get the company to drop," and the problem I had was nobody could tell me how to do it. Vanderbilt did not make an issue of it, and I thought that was fantastic.

There were times, however, they were asking for things that were not necessary, that were rather ridiculous. With one company that I had financed the snow blower through, they wanted me to get a payment history for the last 12 months. I called the company, and they said that it was ridiculous and that they would refuse to do it.

Also, some of the things, when they got down towards the end, they just threw out. They said, "It's necessary." But we spent a lot of time kinda chasing our tails at times. What made it extremely difficult for me was because we sold our home in Michigan on August the 6th, and we had to be out the 30th. And so we have no time to come down here and get anything started. And so, everything was in storage in Michigan, and so trying to come up with everything was just a nightmare for me. In communicating with them, I usually went over to Clayton Homes and talked with them.

Overall, Vandebilt was all very helpful. They would contact on a fairly regular basis and tell me how the loan process was going. For most people, I think it would go through without a hitch. It was the moving process that got me, and not having access to all of the records. I brought everything that I thought I would need, and I had no idea of the process, how difficult it was to get loans at this point.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

The application and underwriting process at Vanderbilt Mortgage was handled in a timely fashion. I wasn’t sure what they wanted, so the lady who was helping me with buying a mobile home took care of everything and helped me fill out the application. It took about a week before I was told that I was approved. Then when I first started calling them and wanted some information, I kept trying to get the person that was taking care of the loan, but there was a receptionist that came on the line and kept telling me that it was their busiest and she was sorry that no one would give me a call back. I called four times and I couldn’t get anybody to call me back.

I’m still not in my house because of the rain and stuff, and I sent in a payment for October and November. However, I’m still not getting an amortization from Vanderbilt. I called customer service to get some information, and this lady was an absolute gem. She was apologizing all over the place, and there wasn’t a thing that she needed to apologize for because I wasn’t on the computer at the time because the house had not been delivered to my property due to the weather.

Several weeks later, an auditor called me and said that my payment date had been moved back. I told her that I already sent in two payments, but she could not see my account on the computer. I also told her that I wanted an amortization that was run by Vanderbilt showing that I would be paying 77,000 in interest because when I pulled it up on the computer, it was coming up with below 60s. She then called me back again and said that I could get it from customer service.

I got a welcome call several weeks ago and the Vanderbilt rep told me that my first payment was not due until March. I then asked what happened to my other two payments, which he said were applied to January and February. I’m fine with that. I also asked him about an amortization and he told me about this website where an amortization statement would be and I would be able to see my payments and what was applied.

I was disgruntled with Vanderbilt, at first, because I thought they were just really going super-slow, but that was because of the weather and they could not initiate anything until after my house was on the property. So, once I've understood that, I don’t have a problem with them at all. I’m still waiting for an amortization that shows me that I’m gonna pay them $77,000 in interest. But eventually, I’m sure somebody is gonna wake up and send me one.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Vanderbilt's loan process was great. I was able to do it in between my load or after work because it was so hard for me to get off from work. I talked to them about it, so they worked around my schedule. When I met with their rep, he was willing to wait until I got there. I live in Jeanerette which is about 35 to 40 minutes away and at the time I got off my bus, he told me to take my time through traffic because he was not going anywhere. They also normally got back to me if I had a concern even if they sent an email and a lot of times, I didn't catch their calls because I was driving my bus. But I checked my email often when I got home in the evening or when I stopped somewhere.

At the time I could move in, they pushed the date back from my first payment, which was December 1st. I was wishing it would have been January but you can't have everything. Other than that, I had a good experience with them. We had some delays because of the weather but it wasn't their fault and the application process didn't take long. The transparency of their lending process was cool, too. There was one thing that I wanted that I couldn't get but the lady explained to me that I didn't wanna go above my means. I wanna have a double-wide trailer but with the income I was making, she was right because I still have to live. I can't just buy stuff and not be able to pay the rest of my bills. So, they didn't just let you do it, like some people who are gonna try to find a way then get stuck it in.

I went through Vanderbilt before when I was married and at the time I split up with my ex husband, he stopped paying the loans, so I had to take them over. Vanderbilt worked with me and I explained that to them when I was first getting this loan here as I was doing it by myself. It was like I was starting over and I was scared. Also, I don't like rejection because I work as hard as a I can taking care of my daughters and they told me not to worry. They also said that they were gonna do what they have to do and help me as much as they could. Then they got all the information and made it happen. I liked that because I didn't wanna go to anybody else because I wasn't familiar with anyone else. Other than that, I was telling one of my girlfriends to talk to Vanderbilt, even though she never did anything with them. You never know what it's gonna be unless you act, and you can only get a yes or no answer. It ain't gonna hurt to talk and to ask.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

The application and underwriting process took less than a week. First off, I went in, looked at trailers, and found out which one I liked and wanted. I had filled out the application and I worked with Keith. He was very personable sharing with me about his kids and wife, and that he was becoming an uncle. I'm a teacher and he asked about my school and my kid. I could see him on another street, and he would know my name and about my family. He was excellent. He gave me his phone number, and I could text him, and he would answer right back.

His guy, David, got my information and said that based on my info, it looked like I was gonna be approved, so I should expect a callback from them right away, within two weeks. And within five days, I got a call. They told me they were gonna run my stuff, and then I have 180 days from that day to get approved. As long as I have the money by September the 9th, they will hold my loan up that long. I told them I could have the money by then. They said they would save it for me and they would put me on file, and I was good to go when I bring the money. It was very easy and simple. They were very nice and they would remind me and ask me how I was. They were checking on me, making sure that I was still looking, and wanting. They were interested in me even though I wasn’t an active customer. After that, I went in with my deposit. We closed the next week and we got the house that same week.

When they asked for paperwork, they would remind me about it and would allow me to ask questions. Or if I needed help finding or getting it, they would tell me where to go. So, they worked with me a lot. The lending process needs to be streamlined though. I turned something in to the local office here, but then the corporate office would send me an email saying they haven't received it. And so, they would call me, and then I would have to call them back and tell them that I already turned it in. Then, I would have to call here. But it was easy to communicate with them. They gave me many options to choose from to try to contact them and even directly screenshot information to their representatives.

Everybody in the office did excellently, was friendly and open to all kinds of crazy questions from a 37-year-old who has never bought anything other than a car. They went above and beyond. I called up there many times just to check and see, and everybody knew the answer. If they didn’t, they found the answer and called me right back. However, we’re having a little bit of hiccups with the water department who is supposed to get out there. It’s part of my loan, and it’s still not done. I'm about to pay my mortgage, and I’m not yet able to live in the house which I got for a month and half now. So, that’s a little annoying. But other than that, Keith had someone come out and fix the damages. Except for a few things that are needed to be done like the hooking up of the sewage and getting the underpinning, everything has been great and I already have recommended them to somebody.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

My mother financed a single wide with Vanderbilt back in ’86. I was there and I said that if I ever went back with somebody, I wanted it to be like Vanderbilt. Then when we went to buy a modular, we ended up getting Vanderbilt. So it was a win-win situation. It was our first time purchasing a home and we had read about certain things that you need to purchase a home. We tried to get much of what we needed to have and what we knew to have in place to make the process easy. But along the way, we ran into a couple of hiccups with some of our information.

But Vanderbilt actually made it easy for us to go through the process. All calls were answered and returned too. They were prompt and they were right there with me through the issues. When we ran into an obstacle, they pretty much showed me the right direction that I should go to get it taken care of. We were going through a checklist and when I met one obligation, we moved on to the next thing. We went down the list and it was a good experience for me.

The first guy I talked to at Vanderbilt was very positive and uplifting. He gave me the motivation to see it through to the end. I worked with a lot of different people and when we got out of one team’s zone, we went to the next zone with that team. Whatever their specialty was, we would get that information. Michael, in particular, was very helpful and was instrumental in getting me started. He steered me in the right direction and motivated me to keep going. A lot of people think they would do this and that then it would be over with. Michael told me it was more of a process that we had to go through.

It was a real learning experience. The process was not hard or tedious. But there are certain criteria that you have to meet and things that they need you to provide them with. The quicker you provide them with the information they need, the quicker you can move on to your next situation. Once we got everything checked off the checklist – all the information they needed, everything we needed to provide them with and everything they needed to provide us with – we then signed the deal. It was that easy. I would definitely recommend Vanderbilt Mortgage because they’re very easy to work with. It’s not, “Well, either we’re gonna do this or we’re not gonna do this.” They guide you as much as the federal laws allow them to tell you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanderbilt Mortgage?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I tried other places to get financing for a home and they kept wanting more from me each time and we went back and forth for eight months and got nowhere. Mr Dan ** took less than a month to get me in a brand new home. I would recommend this company to anyone. Thanks for all they have done for me. Vanderbilt the company to talk to.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

With Vanderbilt, the application and the signing of papers took 45 days. I wish we could've gotten a quicker signing date but I was still very satisfied with my experience. The rep did okay and it wasn't that hard to communicate with her.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I went up there at Vanderbilt Mortgage and I talked to the loan specialist. The lady was really nice and my interaction with her was great. Then I signed the papers and the process wasn't long at all.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

The application and underwriting process at Vanderbilt Mortgage took about a month and I didn’t have any issues. It was very easy as well as communicating with them. The rep had an answer to all my questions and helped me through the process.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

We started the process with Vanderbilt in December 2018 and the closing was in April. I had to wait for my tax money so they did wait for that. They were kinda dragging their feet because they would wait on me but they were very patient with me. Once I got my money for the down payment, the application kinda went very smoothly and very fast.

Everything was great. I loved every bit of my experience with them. The only thing that I did have (which I don’t really think that it was more or less Vanderbilt, I think it was just the miscommunication between the sale center and Vanderbilt) was I got my welcome home call about three weeks before I actually got my keys. They wanted me to have my first house payment. It was due August 1st and I haven't even been in the house for 30 days. But doing business with Vanderbilt was very easy. They kept me in the loop for everything. If there was a little problem that came up, they called me or emailed me. If it had taken longer to get information, they always kept in contact with me. I recommend Vanderbilt to anyone and everyone that I meet.

Vanderbilt Mortgage Company Information