4.65/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Vanderbilt Mortgage and Finance, Inc. is a national housing lender that has been in business for more than 40 years, specializing in new and used manufactured and modular homes.

Vanderbilt Mortgage offers a variety of financing programs for customers with great credit, less than perfect credit, and for first time homebuyers. We help families just like yours find the right financing program to obtain the home of their dreams.

Contact our team of experts today, and let us help you start the process of becoming a homeowner.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

Vanderbilt Mortgage Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

My experience with Vanderbilt Mortgage has been really good although I’m still new with them. The application process was really fast and it was not a long and drawn-out. I received a partial approval and did the steps. It all happened quickly and I was not sitting here wondering if I was getting it or not. So, it was good. I had to go and re-sign everything again with the company that I went through on Vanderbilt’s behalf because there was a change to my loan. It was not bad nor an inconvenience and it was because the delivery date on my home got postponed, so they had to change some stuff.

I liked how Natasha from Vanderbilt called me. I'm a first-time home buyer, never bought anything big like this so I'm not familiar with terms and the process. She went over what the steps were and some of the things that were covered. Then, she emailed me immediately my documents for me to sign. I received it and she was great. On a loan, for something that big, I wanna be able to talk to one specific person about it. So, it was nice and it made it a lot easier.

Everything was clear during the lending process and Vanderbilt told me everything that I needed. I didn't know that I was responsible for installing power, but it was fine. The message was clear and I got it installed with the power company. I walked in off the street and I wasn't sure if I would qualify for anything. I've been through a lot of really tough stuff in my life and I'm just me by myself and I never thought I would be able to own my own home or property, and Vanderbilt made that possible. So, I really like the company. It’s a company I would definitely use.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 10, 2019

Except for the communication, it's been an okay process with Vanderbilt. It took a little bit over a month to complete which I was satisfied with. But the reps could improve on answering phone calls and voicemails. We had talked to Elizabeth and Jessie. We tried calling and calling and calling and we could never get in touch with them. We leave voicemails and nobody ever called us back. When we have filed for homestead exemption and since the beginning of last week, I've been trying to send the paperwork and I cannot get in touch with nobody. I've emailed and I've called them. I've sent the paperwork to the email that Jessie had given me a while back and I haven't gotten any answer back from that.

A couple of days later, someone from customer service called and told me that I needed to send it to the tax email that she had given me. I emailed it and it gave me two responses saying that it couldn't be delivered. So I called the customer service number back and they gave me a fax number. I tried faxing it twice but there was no answer. I called them back and they told me to retry the process again. I've tried the process and got the same exact answer. So I just went the other route and mailed a hard copy to Vanderbilt tax department but I haven't heard anything from them. I'm just wondering if the homestead exemption is actually gonna be taking place. I've asked for a number to call the tax department but they can't give me a number.

Our first payment is due July 3rd but that's why I'm kinda scared that I'm gonna be pushed further back for the homestead exemption. Someone had called saying how much the payment is, when's it due, etc. but we haven't gotten a statement in the mail. I'm not sure when they'll send one, but I wanna make the payment. When I logged in online, it says that our payment's not due.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Our house got destroyed in the hurricane and it happened six weeks after we closed with Vanderbilt. We waited so long for debris removal and Vanderbilt was the least of our worries. They did such a wonderful job and they were on top of everything. They always kept in communication. They were done with us within a month and it was really fast.

Initially, we were looking at how much we could put down because right after the storm, we drained our bank account. Later, when I got some more money from the insurance company, they were happy to take the contingency off because we initially had a contingency to sell our home in Texas first and that would’ve taken forever. I called back and I said, “Hey, can you do the calculation? How much can I put down in order to get the loan approved in addition to...” Those were two mortgages for two different homes and they did the calculation within half an hour. They came right back and said, “Hey, if you can put this much down, we’ll be able to approve a loan for you so that you don’t have to wait for the contingency. You don’t have to wait to sell your house.” They explained the calculation and they did such a wonderful job.

I was most impressed by the communication. They were on it and if I couldn’t get through or I had a question and it happened to be off hours, I could leave a message and they would call me back as soon as business opened. It was nice to not have to wait for somebody to call me back when I had a question. The responsiveness was excellent. I'm happy to have the experience with Vanderbilt.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Vanderbilt Mortgage filed at a bunch of different places trying to get a good interest rate and took about a good month process from the time they’ve done that and they called me back in to get a response and the time that it all took to get completed. Some of the questions they asked during the lending process didn’t make much sense, especially getting the insurance part. It was probably a formality they got to go through, but I didn’t understand why the mortgage company needed six months' worth of bank statements. Maybe they were trying to get a history or trying to get a payment history when my checks hit, but I liked the part that they set everything up to be bank drafted. I didn’t have to go through my bank and say, “Hey, look. I need this set up for this day, and this day, and then next month, and this day, and this day.” Vanderbilt set all that up. I got a bi-monthly payment and I like it.

The people that I worked with were cordial about everything they’ve done. If I had any questions, I could call them up. Most of the time, I just call them up and put in the girl’s extension number, and it took me right up and we would talk a little. Another guy called me one time before talking about the flood zone and he was nice, too. All in all, it wasn’t a bad experience. I was glad they set all the payment stuff up. It comes out of my check. I know when my check hits or the payment comes out. I ain’t gotta wait two or three weeks or another week because some of my payments are set up every 19th of the month.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Vanderbilt's application and underwriting process took close to two months. The closing was very simple. I told them the challenges that I had, and they found solutions to it. We had a challenge because we had a home that we had to do a deed in lieu on. It is in a very difficult area in Tulsa, and it was getting robbed on such a frequent basis that there wasn’t much left, and we tried putting people in it, and they'd come home and find the thieves in it, and we couldn't do anything. That was four years before that, and so they asked us to do a deed in lieu. The banks wouldn't touch us, as a result of it. They said, "You have to get the company to drop," and the problem I had was nobody could tell me how to do it. Vanderbilt did not make an issue of it, and I thought that was fantastic.

There were times, however, they were asking for things that were not necessary, that were rather ridiculous. With one company that I had financed the snow blower through, they wanted me to get a payment history for the last 12 months. I called the company, and they said that it was ridiculous and that they would refuse to do it.

Also, some of the things, when they got down towards the end, they just threw out. They said, "It's necessary." But we spent a lot of time kinda chasing our tails at times. What made it extremely difficult for me was because we sold our home in Michigan on August the 6th, and we had to be out the 30th. And so we have no time to come down here and get anything started. And so, everything was in storage in Michigan, and so trying to come up with everything was just a nightmare for me. In communicating with them, I usually went over to Clayton Homes and talked with them.

Overall, Vandebilt was all very helpful. They would contact on a fairly regular basis and tell me how the loan process was going. For most people, I think it would go through without a hitch. It was the moving process that got me, and not having access to all of the records. I brought everything that I thought I would need, and I had no idea of the process, how difficult it was to get loans at this point.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanderbilt Mortgage?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Vanderbilt was good when I called and vent my frustration out with the home center. They helped push it along a little bit. I got confused because I didn't know if the home center is connected with Vanderbilt or not. I knew what was going on with the loan side of it, but I didn't know what was going on with the home center side as far as while the construction was being done. I had to reach out and ask, "Hey, when is the process gonna start?" Because they gave money up for the land home package and the home center was having issues with the land. I would call Vanderbilt to help me and they did.

I was very unhappy with the home center, but Vanderbilt would understand, call, and try to relay messages that I couldn't get through to the home center. The whole process took a little over a year and we had a couple of loan specialists through the process, 'cause it took so long. But they answered our questions, they answered the phone any time, and they called me back when they said they were gonna call back.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Vanderbilt gave me a chance when no one else was willing to work with me and tell me what I needed to do to put my family in a home. They took the time out and got that accomplished for me. They had a very quick and to-the-point application process which took about 10 minutes. I had to wait a little while for underwriting, though, and that took a little bit shy of a month for me because I had to pay off some things and get some things situated. Other than that, Vanderbilt worked very well with me.

The only thing was I started off with David and he kind of left me hanging in a way. I know people have to take vacations, but I wish you can just start off with one person or stick with that one person. I ended up with a Bridget and I wish I had started off with her and had her the whole time. I could easily get in touch with her and she kept me informed. She told me what needed to be done and she was really on everything. She worked with me through email, calls, and even went as far as texting me. Everything with her was fine.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

Anytime that I’ve talked to them, they were always nice and answered our questions. Also, their process was pretty cut and dry. It took two weeks.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

They called and explained everything, and went over the loan with me. The home loan process was quick and easy, with only a couple of days between applying and getting approved.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

In the past, we were living in California and Vanderbilt financed for a motorhome for us. Then I applied again with them. The application and underwriting process was very good. It was longer and easy because all the time when I needed something and I called them, they answered me in the soonest possible. They resolved everything and what I needed to do.

Vanderbilt Mortgage Company Information