4.77/5
Based on 579 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Vanderbilt Mortgage and Finance, Inc. is a national housing lender that has been in business for more than 40 years, specializing in new and used manufactured and modular homes.

Vanderbilt Mortgage offers a variety of financing programs for customers with great credit, less than perfect credit, and for first time homebuyers. We help families just like yours find the right financing program to obtain the home of their dreams.

Contact our team of experts today, and let us help you start the process of becoming a homeowner.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 18, 2018

971 Vanderbilt Mortgage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 18, 2018

Communicating with Vanderbilt Mortgage was simple. Drew, the guy at Springfield, said he would take care of everything we needed. Usually, we get a letter and then we contact Drew, then he gets ahold of our loan specialist. It was just three or four days to get the letter and then we contacted them. We were notified of everything, they were fast about it and there were no hiccups. It took less than a month.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 17, 2018

Doing business with Vanderbilt Mortgage was self-explanatory. It's pretty easy and straightforward, and they were helpful. Ashley, our loan specialist knew what she was talking about and she's confident in her work. If I had any questions, I just called and talked to them, asked them what to do and they answered it for me. If she was unavailable, it took a day or two to get back to me. The application and underwriting process only took a month at the most.

Original review: April 17, 2018

The application and underwriting process with Vanderbilt took some days and my daughter was really in most of it for me. I have my own insurance and there was something in there about my escrow which I don’t really have. I won’t be paying taxes because I'm in my daughter and son-in-law's property, so I didn’t need any escrow coming out at all. I just want the amount of my mobile home itself and that’s what I’m paying for. We've been trying to get this payment deal resolved for about a month now. My daughter has been working on this for me because she knows it more about this escrow business and I didn’t know a thing about it. So, everything is new to us with buying this mobile home.

My daughter has been trying to talk to Vanderbilt about this issue and we haven't been able to get across with anybody with that yet. I need to get that done as it’s still important that we did that. Nevertheless, everybody was very helpful and did their part during the loan process. I had more problems with the manufacturer than anything but it was easy to communicate with Vanderbilt. I was turned over to different people with each department and everybody was good. Overall, Vanderbilt's lending process seemed to have gone well and I would tell my friends to go with them.

Original review: April 16, 2018

All around, Vanderbilt seemed like a great company. They were recommended to me by a couple of folks. And when I purchased my home, they had a bunch of different mortgage lenders. I did my research and my homework and me and wife collectively chose Vanderbilt. I'm a first-time homebuyer and I'm so excited. My home is beautiful. Me and my wife picked out the home that we wanted and Vanderbilt made sure we got it. They did a fantastic job of getting me to point where I needed to be and gathering all the information and making sure they had everything done right the first time. Good team over there. There were times when I needed to speak with them and they always had someone available. It was addressed quickly. We communicated through email, phone, and text message. They made everything convenient for me. Both the application and underwriting process didn’t take that long. Just a couple of months.

Sarah, our loan specialist handled the situation and the whole process great. She was very professional with everything. It was very easy communicating with her. She was available any time I needed to speak with her. If she was out of the office or on vacation, there was someone that they had that would step right in and get my issues resolved. If there was someone in another division I needed to speak to, she made sure that they contacted me at their earliest and my earliest convenience. I would highly recommend Vanderbilt.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Vanderbilt Mortgage was super helpful. They made the loan process smooth and that was the easy part. I submitted the application May 26 and I closed on August 11 last year. There was a lady who took the application and she was so helpful in explaining the process and what steps. Then it went to Tanya, and she finalized everything. She was willing to explain the process and gave updates as far as where we were at. And even when the loan closed, she followed up during the construction of the home.

Every time I called, they were so kind in explaining things. They even emailed me often. We were able to do a lot of transactions through email as far as documentation that they needed. That was helpful and it saved time. Their communication was excellent and that's important when you are on this side of things and especially when you have not gone through it or have no understanding of the home loan process. It's important that they always take the time to explain and answer any questions and they weren’t impatient. I would recommend Vanderbilt simply because of their customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanderbilt Mortgage?

Original review: April 15, 2018

Vanderbilt Mortgage did everything great in relation to our loan. The process took about a month and they assisted us on through. We had a great experience with our rep too. We provided her with all of our information and whatever she needed, and then she handled everything. Working with them has been quick and easy. I would recommend Vanderbilt.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Been in this home 2 years and it's falling apart. There is no way to get this home refinance and get a lower mortgage because home has no equity. The insurance company and the home protection plan we purchase for five years of protection is owned and operated by Vanderbilt. The home protection plan was suppose to protect any problems that happen after the one year warranty ended. So far they don't cover anything like the carpet pulling away and bulking up cracks in the baseboards around the house, the closets weren't finished so now the sheetrock in them are cracking. Every time I call about something they send out an adjuster to review the claim and then say it doesn't affect the structure so it's not covered. I thought this company was going to be a good company to do business with but they are just another predatory loan company that preys on people. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: April 14, 2018

It was very easy doing business with Vanderbilt. I'm very happy about the process, which went smoothly. It took four days to complete and it wasn't very long. I also had a great experience with the reps and they seem to be good people. I told them what I needed and I was impressed with the way they got it and how I wanted it within first shot.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I had no experience in buying a home and the employees at Vanderbilt Mortgage were very helpful in answering all my questions and concerns. Through the process we hit a road block (no part of Vanderbilt's fault). I called Dylan everyday for updates and even though this problem was not his department, he made it his issue and he would always check the status of things and either call me or email me with updates. I am grateful for his help and I really appreciate him going above and beyond his job description to help me solve the problem. I am in my new home and loving it!

Original review: April 13, 2018

I started with Vanderbilt Mortgage back in July of last year. My situation was a little complicated though. I lived in a mobile home that's in my dad's name. So, when I went to purchase a new home of my own, I told my father. Through his agreement, I was going to pay off the home that was in his name because I was the one making the payments. But I included that home in the new deal with my new home and Vanderbilt had a difficult time because I talked to a girl in the middle of last month and she said that my paperwork was in and that the deal was done. They had sent an audit for my paperwork and there was a couple of things that I needed to initial. I sent that back and she said that it was good. So, the deal was complete.

I asked her if she was sure because the payment for the other home is due April 1st and she said that it was good, that they are going to pay off the loan, that the only thing I owe is for the new home and that the payment will be due May 1st. But then Vanderbilt kept calling back for the other home loan that's not even in my name. I've been dealing with that for the past two days. Nobody can figure out what exactly is going on. A guy named Brett had my dad call, put me on his loan so Brett was able to talk to me about it. I talked to them today and they still don’t exactly know what was going on. I spoke to Alex which is on Brett's team and he told me that he would call me back in about an hour but I haven't heard from him yet.

My concern and my father's concern is if they turn that in to some collection agency and ding his credit even though that loan should be paid off and that dent would be on my payments now. The loan with my father shouldn't even exist anymore. My experience with Vanderbilt was great. It's just that here at the end, all the things that I thought were in line, everybody has questions about and not everyone in the loop understands because everybody that I speak to says that I have to go speak to a supervisor or they have to talk to their manager. But everybody that calls me back is a different person so we have to start over every time.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Vanderbilt saw what options I had and adjusted what they could to help make the payments a little easier. They told me what I had already out for loans and that I would need stuff for the house, so they worked with me to manage to do that. The only thing that needed to be tweaked was maybe adding a section for a house like some furniture after getting the house. The loan process was pretty straightforward and it took about three days. They gave me the first rep and I spoke with him and they tried to get the process done as well as they could. We wound up going a different route and a different house, and we wound up working out better for what I can afford, which is the house I got now.

I asked questions about the loan and stuff, and Vanderbilt was easy to work with. I like the knowledge of the staff, their ability to work with me, and get what needed to get done on the phone. They know how to keep up to date and they're pretty good on keeping in touch on some things. It was very easy to get a hold of them, and they know exactly where to send you if they don’t have the proper answer to the question that you may have. The Vanderbilt people are pretty good about doing their job right.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I originally had a Longwood Country Place. The house was ordered done but the mortgage people let the loan expire and then decided to tell me 10 days after Christmas. They had put it to my charge that they were going to run on my credit, and so I tried to explain to them that my debt and income are going to be different. Vanderbilt's representative heard the story about how we had gotten run around and how we had a house that had been ordered, built and just sitting there. Vanderbilt jumped on, kicked butts, and literally the whole process was done in 10 days. I spoke several times a day with different people at Vanderbilt. We got screwed completely over at the Country Place but Vanderbilt literally did everything perfect for my finance with what I got from my bank. We walked in there with the credit score right at 800, offered what was unbelievable for a mobile home, and picked up the house of our dreams that we never really imagined we'll get.

The whole process can be confusing but when I compare the whole rigmarole and the lies and what happened with the other place and then I look at how I knew every step that what was happening and I was updated in, I just knew. I was explained on what was going on. Vanderbilt's lending process was very transparent and very simple. They probably need to adjust, but it was very easy to understand. Bruce was the loan specialist I spoke with and the Vanderbilt people were awesome. Everyone we talked to was extremely genuine and they were concerned about what our family had gone through. With that previous Country Place, it was over nine months waiting before everything was finally done.

But it happened to be that the day I went to the previous Country Place, Vanderbilt was there. They said, "Let’s go have your information. We've made you an offer several months ago. We realized we were looking at a different house now because things have changed." Everyone was super sympathetic to our situation. They treated us right and did their best to honestly right the wrong that happened. I couldn’t ask for more than what this company did to get us a home. Vanderbilt made everything right and as quick of a time as humanly possible. They made it all happen and they did what they said they were going to do.

Original review: April 11, 2018

There were a few minor stuff that I had an issue with when we used Vanderbilt. The first house went a little bit bad. They did everything and in some kind of way, it was more than what my credit would approve so that didn’t work out. I went to another one and it was like a back and forth thing. They finally said, “We’ll go with a newer one.” And it was a lot cheaper than the original one we were looking at. I wanted the one that was there on the lot. The other ones they had were taken so we went with that one.

When we did a finance application, they didn’t know exactly what I would be approved of. That should be better because at first it they said, “Okay, you can get this one” so that was the one I was looking at. And the next one, the newer one, I had an issue with that too. I had to do the will on that. That was the only way I could get the newer one for some reason. Vanderbilt called me during the process. But I haven’t moved in the house yet because I still I'm still lacking the will. It’s hard to find somebody to do a will. The only thing I got now is they want me to send in a payment but I thought I wouldn't start making my payment until I moved in. Other than those, they were pretty honest at Vanderbilt and everything was okay.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Vanderbilt did great. The lending process was very good and they know what they’re doing. With snow when we went through the loan process, they still met with us and did the closing on the loan. They went beyond what a company would do. They communicated by phone and they have walked me through the process. Everything about them impressed me. Their knowledge of everything got me in the right direction. The loan specialist called me if she needed to talk to me. I had a couple of questions that she answered and she also got me the answers that I needed. Vanderbilt should keep doing what they’re doing. I had a good experience and I would recommend them. They’re a good mortgage company to go through.

Original review: April 10, 2018

The people at Vanderbilt were very helpful and understanding and they break things down. It was very easy to communicate with them. The mortgage process took two weeks and everything was fine, but I was going to see if I can talk to someone about paying my taxes or insurance with the escrow.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I met with the lady at Vanderbilt with their lawyer and fixed things down with them. We went over everything and it looked good to us so we signed it and we got a home. And we left happy. The only thing that we didn't like was that she was like a middle person instead of us talking to the Vanderbilt people directly. She couldn't answer every question that we had. But she worked with us on our questions and everything went smoothly. It never felt like we weren’t getting what we needed as far as what we asked for. The application and underwriting took a week after we decided on the house that we were getting. It was a quick and simple process.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Vanderbilt is good and supportive of me in closing my loan. Since we started, the application and underwriting process took about eight months. The loan specialist was always on top of things and she would call us. She explained everything really nice. We had to go back and forth trying to understand her. Then we had some issues with the creditor and she told us what to do and what not to do. I had a very good experience with the agent. All of them were polite and if we had a question, they would call us back for the answer. Also, they would talk to the lender or to somebody else, and then they will call us right back and let us know what was going on. Vanderbilt did a good job and I recommend them. However, they told me the price was going to be $93,000 but on the paperwork that they sent me it was $134,000. I would real high recommend them.

Original review: April 9, 2018

The loan application and underwriting process at Vanderbilt Mortgage were fast. The application took about a week. And their loan specialist would call and tell me what was going on, what the bank said, and what was the loan amount approved. Whatever she asked me for, I'd get it and fax it to them and they were trying to get all the number and the stuff together for the mobile home. The communication was fine and every time I called, they always answer, if not, they'd call back. Also, they answered all my questions when I needed some answers. Overall, it was a long process, but we worked through it. And the people at Vanderbilt were really good to work with. I would recommend them.

Original review: April 8, 2018

The application and underwriting process with Vanderbilt Mortgage took about two weeks. I had one trailer picked out and then I went to another trailer. So Vanderbilt had to redo it but they were really efficient on everything they did for me. I worked with Elizabeth, my loan specialist, and she was always really friendly with me. I helped in getting all the information that she needed and she contacted me every time I needed to get something that she needed. I emailed and faxed stuff to her and it was a pretty easy process. Every time that we had a quote, they would call me and talk to me about it to see what I was interested in. There were several girls that would call me from different departments, but Elizabeth and Laura were the ones who worked with me the most.

The communication among us all was really good and we could call or text when they needed something. If they couldn’t get a hold of me by phone, they would send me an email or text me and I could call them right away. They kept me informed and they were really good about letting me know what I qualified for and that I could qualify furthermore if I wanted it. They never harassed me or tried to get me to buy a newer home and even though I qualified for more money, they never bothered me. I feel like it was a pleasant experience working with Vanderbilt and I didn’t get stressed out like I had in the past when I bought a home and it took so long. I would definitely tell my friends that Vanderbilt Mortgage was a good company to work with.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I talked to Vanderbilt Mortgage one time and they told me what I needed. Then I passed it on to the home builder and they did everything for me. The process didn't take too long and everything was good. It was easy.

Original review: April 8, 2018

We were shopping around for different vendors and Vanderbilt was one of the places, and we went back and forth with numbers. When the numbers didn’t agree, I would sort it out on where exactly the line-items were coming from and customer service was very helpful. The application and underwriting process took just a few weeks from the time we purchased the house to when it was finalized. In the beginning, Vanderbilt Mortgage was a little picky about the items I needed to provide, sometimes unnecessarily, but for my situation, it wasn’t overbearing.

My interactions with the loan specialist were excellent and they were very prompt in answering any inquiries. But I had some issues where the analysts weren’t on the same page with each other, so things got reported to one of the loan officers that wasn’t communicated to the others. And because of this, the reps were asking for things which had already been provided over and over. That was a little headache and it delayed the loan process a little by a few weeks, but I’m happy overall.

I'm impressed with their willingness to answer questions and that they did not shy away from anything I needed to be answered. When I asked, they gave explanations on everything, so they had a good transparency and I did not get the impression that they were trying to hide anything. However, the communication amongst the entire group that was involved with my account could be improved. And there were some charges which weren’t clear to me and they weren't upfront with those. They should give line-items for all charges and for all processes so people would know what the next process was going to be before it happens. Nevertheless, Vanderbilt is a good company to work with and I would recommend them to other people.

Original review: April 7, 2018

The application and underwriting process with Vanderbilt Mortgage took about a week and it was fairly fast. Kelsey and Sarah were very good people and they helped us out a whole lot. They stayed on top of everything and they were back every day to let us know what we had, what we needed to do next or what we were going to do. They kept us informed. And it was very easy to communicate with them. I called them, left some voicemail, and within ten minutes, they called me back. I appreciate all their hard work. Everything was handled and it was the easiest loan that I’ve ever gone to. I’d definitely tell others to do it. There was a guy that I work with and he’s purchasing a house, so I told him to go through Vanderbilt.

Original review: April 7, 2018

The application and underwriting process at Vanderbilt Mortgage didn't take long. This isn’t my first home loan, so I got everything together that the previous mortgage company had wanted. I had everything ready upfront and turned it all in. The only thing that Vanderbilt asked me for additionally was some proof that I paid off a credit card. The overall process was fine. While I wasn’t dissatisfied, I don’t know if I’m going to recommend anything to anyone.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Vanderbilt Mortgage was good, but the process took about three months because the woman that was helping me quit. And I didn't know if I'd still get the home or what was going on. Then a guy took over and he was good. Vanderbilt did well for me because I'm on fixed income and I still have the home. Sometimes, I'll first choose to call a certain process but they weren't in. But other than that, communicating with them was okay. They were right there if I needed them, and they were good at addressing my questions and they would explain everything to me. They were also caring. When I was getting upset, they would talk to me and calm me down. But they were so slow. I was living with somebody else and I felt so tired waiting.

Original review: April 6, 2018

When I applied for a home loan through Vanderbilt, the process went smoothly. The application and underwriting took a couple of weeks, which was a bit quicker than what I thought it would. Vanderbilt did what they had to do to work the loan but there wasn’t much that they had to because I’ve had everything and my income. The loan specialist was friendly and easy to talk to. I had a few questions and he answered them. Doing business with Vanderbilt was easy, and I got good response and approval.

Original review: April 6, 2018

The whole application and underwriting process took two weeks and I felt good about it. Vanderbilt Mortgage worked with me in every way and during the process, it was easy to communicate with them. The loan specialist kept in touch with me which impressed me. If I had questions and called them and ended up leaving a message, it would only take a couple of hours to get back to me to answer my questions. Everything was good. I could tell that they really tried. I would recommend them.

Original review: April 6, 2018

We had an FHA loan. The initial process with Vanderbilt Mortgage took around ten to twenty minutes to get it approved. When we first got there, all I did was write my name and they explained the details of what everything was. We had a lot of confusions about what the cost was and that was really helpful. They were very consistent. It was always one person that I was supposed to speak to initially but I always missed the call so I tried to call them back. Obviously, they’re busy. They’re talking to a bunch of other people so I had to talk to someone else. They didn’t fully know what was going on but they did everything up to their best extent to be able to help me out and answer any questions I had.

There were three different phases. With each phase, I had spoken with a different person that was handling it. I had one person that had to interview me to make sure and asked me all the right questions that they wanted to know. And then, there was the initial and we also had someone come down for the closing. The communication level with them was excellent and I felt very comfortable with them. Everyone was very nice and considerate. They were very clear with everything and I didn't have any issues with them. Vanderbilt Mortgage helps out every step of the way.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Vanderbilt was excellent and we had a great experience with them. They worked with us on everything and they were super friendly. The loan officer was very helpful. We emailed back and forth and if anything went wrong, she called. We were amazed at how quick the whole process was. And it was the easiest loan we've ever got. We referred somebody to them today.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I was impressed with the whole loan process of Vanderbilt Mortgage. When I went down and tried to get a new loan at my bank that I bank with all the time, they wouldn't even talk to me about a loan, especially on a mobile home. But when I went and put the application in with Vanderbilt, I figured I was going to get denied again, but it was approved with the conditions that I get my truck paid off. They talked to the lot where I got the trailer from. They explained to them what was going on and they got the trailer lot to pay off my truck for me, free and clear, so it didn't go on the tail of the loan.

During the application and the underwriting process, I had a bunch of other things going on, so it took longer than normal and it was fine. It would have been a faster process had I not had other things going on at the same time. Vanderbilt helped to get my truck paid off and they worked with me. They understood the situation at the time. They've been in the situation and know people who have been like that before. They were even concerned about my brother and how he was doing. They didn't have to ask anything about him but they showed care and concern. Communicating with them wasn't hard at all. If I had a question about something, I could call them right up and it wouldn't take long at all to get the answers that I needed because they were really good on their response time.

Their loan specialist was very kind and courteous. If I didn't understand something, she would explain it to me in easier terms. And Vanderbilt really made sure that I understood what was going on so it was a nice loan application to go through. I could not have asked for a better loan application or process to go through. They did a fantastic job and it was a great loan process. And if I buy another trailer, I'd go back to them again.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I financed my other home with Vanderbilt before so they’re good. The process took two weeks and they tried to help me out with all the stuff, how much the payment was going to be monthly and when to start the payments. Everything was all right and quick. It was also easy to communicate with the staff as they knew their stuff. They were nice and courteous and tell you what’s going on. They took care of everything. I talked to one of the people that worked for my loan specialist and he explained everything to me. I asked a question and he answered it. He tried to connect with the specialist but I didn’t have the chance to talk to her. She didn’t call back which she should have done. If a person wants to get a callback from the manager, you should get one from them.

Vanderbilt Mortgage Company Information