Call toll free
4.78/5
Based on 673 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Vanderbilt Mortgage and Finance, Inc. is a national housing lender that has been in business for more than 40 years, specializing in new and used manufactured and modular homes.

Vanderbilt Mortgage offers a variety of financing programs for customers with great credit, less than perfect credit, and for first time homebuyers. We help families just like yours find the right financing program to obtain the home of their dreams.

Contact our team of experts today, and let us help you start the process of becoming a homeowner.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1128 Vanderbilt Mortgage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

We put the loan application in in February and the loan was tied up by April so it took roughly two months. We had to wait for the trailer to show up to close. I was in Wyoming and they were in Texas so I had to schedule it and go down there for the final walkthrough. Vanderbilt helped quite a bit in closing the loan. I knew what I needed as far as the paperwork went, but this was a different process and they were able to walk me through the loan and tell me how the trailer works versus a house and what papers were to be filled out.

My suggestion was to have a checklist that you tick off, showing the loan process once you’re approved then the process once that’s approved. When you close, you’re funding the loan and the people that you bought the trailer from would know the money is there. But they can’t get it until after you've booked the loan with Vanderbilt. Having that written down for people would be astronomical. I am such a visual person and talking on the phone was hard. Nobody told me about booking so having that process, like the steps you might go through, would be nice.

I was always calling and talking to Randy and he was always giving me advice on how things worked. He was very professional and courteous. He was always very personal and willing to explain anything over and over again. I wasn’t getting it and I got tired of asking the salesperson I bought the trailer from because I thought I was irritating him. I knew everything was okay but there was that uncomfortable feeling when you’re trying to think when you’re three states away and I wanted to be comfortable with the process. With Randy, I never felt like imposing. I had his extension number and whenever I had a question and he wasn’t there, I would leave him a message and he always got back to me relatively soon, like within the day. Sometimes it was even sooner than I expected. He was awesome and it was great to work with him.

When I questioned the price of the homeowner’s insurance that Vanderbilt got for my motorhome, they let me call a couple of companies to see if I could get a better price. The girl that handled the mortgage insurance part didn’t have a problem with the fact that I wanted to do that. And of course, Vanderbilt had come up with the best price so it really worked well. It was double what I pay at my little house in Wyoming so I was concerned of it being so high. But apparently, with all the hurricane and trouble with these types of mobile homes, the prices had been jacked up. The girl said she figured the same thing is gonna happen to homeowner’s policies in the next year because we’ve been having so much damage across United States and that made me feel better.

I also liked the fact that she explained that the insurance portion was built for mobile homes in that company that I was with and works solely with mobile homes. That made me feel better because they understand the market better. I had a great experience with Vanderbilt the whole way through. I never had any issues with them and I would tell others to go for Vanderbilt. They were honest and upright with me.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I really liked Vanderbilt's process and I would refer family and friends to them. But there could have been better communication. I had a whole bunch of different people calling and maybe there could have been just one main person. Also, every time I called Vanderbilt, I got an automated system and it was hard. I would try to get a hold of one person and then they'd pass it alternatively from one person to another. It was frustrating. Then one time, I called Chris, the loan officer in charge I knew, and left him a message but it took him a couple of days to get back to me. That was the only issue I had though. That aside, he was a people person and I really liked him.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Working with Vanderbilt on our mortgage took a while and it seemed like we had to sign extensions five times. The length of time it took to get things figured out was frustrating. There were times we got answers back to our questions fairly quickly. But most times, it took a while to wait. It took them two days just to send an email sometimes and I was also always talking to someone different. I must have worked with three people and some of them were really nice but it was very hard to get a hold of them. We would call and call, and when they wouldn't answer, we'd leave messages. The only time Vanderbilt got back to us was when we called the home manufacturer and then they would get a hold of Vanderbilt. If we had an easier way to communicate with them, the experience would have been a lot better.

Original review: June 17, 2018

The loan application was easier than I thought it was gonna be. The application and underwriting process took two to three months, and communicating with Vanderbilt was fairly easy. They seemed to be upfront about everything and they explained very well.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I had a good experience with Vanderbilt Mortgage. Conducting business with them was relatively easy. Their loan specialist was easy to work with as well. Her name was Ashley and she did the work and she did it well. She was always responsive when I called to ask her questions. Vanderbilt did the regular process of collecting information and processing. At that time, I was waiting to sell my house but because our house wasn't sold and time ran out, we had to redo the underwriting and application. So far, I'm satisfied with the way everything went and if someone were to ask me about Vanderbilt, I would tell them that they were fair with me and they did their work efficiently. They did a good job.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanderbilt Mortgage?

Original review: June 16, 2018

Everything was good and turned out fine when I applied for a loan with Vanderbilt. They were fairly easy to deal with and very communicative. I got constant calls and emails from them making sure that I was getting them the right info and if they couldn't get a hold of me, they got a hold of my wife. I was also able to get with my loan specialist, Diego, or his assistants, and I was impressed with his willingness to get my loan approved. Their process seemed fair to me and for the most part, everything went smoothly. But the application and underwriting took a month and a half to complete because Vanderbilt had an issue dealing with my work. They needed two years continuous employment and since I worked for a company that has a camp agency crew that works with it, I was at camp at first then I got hired on full time in September. So, Vanderbilt kinda had an issue confirming that I was working with the same company

Original review: June 16, 2018

It was my first time buying a house and I was very satisfied with my experience with Vanderbilt. My loan specialist was a good guy. He asked me if I had any questions or stuff that I didn’t understand and he would explain them to me. I understood everything clearly. The application and the underwriting took four months, and they notified me and kept me up to date on when I was gonna be having my loan closed. They worked with me to take care of that process and it was whenever it was a convenient time for me. I would recommend them.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Everything Vanderbilt had done was awesome. They kept in contact and kept me up to date as far as what was going on on my end and about how long the process would take. The process was really easy. The loan agent was really easy to work with. I felt really good working with her. I’m glad she was my loan agent.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Vanderbilt was wonderful. The mortgage part was within three months and it was easy with them. They called me and made sure that I had everything I needed and they answered every question that I had because I had a lot. They were just very personable and treated me like they actually wanted my business. Also, My FHA person explained everything to me and she made sure that I was comfortable with the home loan terms and that I knew what I was signing. It was just black and white and there was nothing hidden. Everybody, from beginning to end, was great to work with and they were always available when I needed them. They were right on point the whole entire way and they made me happy that I chose Vanderbilt. I referred one of my friends to them and she got a home shortly after I did.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Vanderbilt did a really good job. They verified my income and figured out how much everything was gonna cost. They made sure I could afford the payments. I spoke with a couple of people there and they were good. They referred to me by my first name, which was nice, and they gave me time to get the information that they needed. I was impressed with the speed with which they pushed the process through and the application and underwriting took two weeks. They were also readily available and upfront. Plus, they were very friendly and very easy to work with.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Vanderbilt helped me real good and the application and underwriting process didn't take that long. It was probably two to three weeks and I went through a lot of customer service people. There was always someone to help me and they were friendly. Overall, it was a very good experience.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I thought the process would take a long time, but it didn't. I was shocked. It really went quickly and smoothly. The Vanderbilt representatives explained everything to me and answered any kind of question I had to ask them in a way that I could understand. I was nervous and they gave me time. They were very polite and helpful. They did everything perfectly and it was a wonderful experience.

Original review: June 14, 2018

The application and the underwriting process with Vanderbilt took about six weeks. Vanderbilt was really good to us. They were really nice people and they did everything I had. I enjoyed my interactions with my loan specialists. I worked with two people -- a guy and a girl. Lauren was one of them who was helping us the most. The ability to work around me with my work was impressive. I'd asked them to call my fiancée and they'd call her instead. I had to come home that May because I had thought about something, I had to call them and they were really polite about everything. I had a lot of questions as this was my first home and any little thing that I asked, it was answered professionally.

Working with Vanderbilt, overall, was easy. It was just mainly the time and how long it took. It felt like it went on for a while. I work six weeks then I get laid off and wait for the next job. I didn't have a steady income so I was always jumping but that's how my line of work is. It would be nice if there was some kind of process that's just purely off to W2's because I made $85,000 last year, but because I didn’t have a steady income I felt like I got hassled a little bit with that.

They ran the price of the trailer and I bargained hard with this lady who sold me the trailer. I got the price down to $46,000 and then I got the sales tax too which I was looking at around $50,000. Vanderbilt was telling me that I was approved for $65,000 and they said with zero down. Then they came back later and was trying to make me put money down so they just kinda switched.

As for the transparency of Vanderbilt's lending process, I didn't like it too much. I didn't know if it's with Vanderbilt or whoever I did the closing with. I had to close and sign all these papers, and the gal was just trying to tell me to sign something. I had the paper and I started reading it and it was not that I don’t have to go to court with Vanderbilt but I couldn't bring them to court. I felt like a lot of the paperwork, they beat around the bush. They try to get me to sign stuff that they weren’t making me very aware of. Somehow, I didn't quite comprehend how I went from $45,000 up to $56,000. I understand I got tax title and license and interest but it was just that when we were doing our closing paperwork, I felt like there was a lot of stuff just thrown in there. So if anyone asks about Vanderbilt, they were very nice people but pay attention to the contract that you're signing.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I had surgery and was out of work and couldn’t make my payments. My single point of contact, Tony **, saved me! He got my payments put to the end of my loan. I consider him my hero! I was so stressed and he worked with me. Don’t be afraid to call if you are having problems. The people at Vanderbilt are willing and able to help keep you in your home. I also want to thank Candace who took care of me when Tony wasn’t available.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I tried to set my payment every two weeks instead of once a month but Vanderbilt said I was supposed to do it before the loan process was done. So, I missed out on that. I wish they could be more upfront about what needs to be done before the closing part. Other than that, their reps were good and anytime I had a question, they answered it. They were professional and it wasn't hard to communicate with them. The application and underwriting process took about a month and it was easy to do business with Vanderbilt.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Working with Vanderbilt was the easiest I've ever seen. It took like two days. It was not very long at all and it all went really smooth. Anytime I called, I immediately had somebody to talk to me and everybody was really good. They explained everything thoroughly and were helpful with everything. They treated me like a person and not a number.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I love how transparent Vanderbilt’s lending process was. I also appreciate the communication and the fact that they made the process easy. And when we had issues, they told us exactly what we needed to do to fix the issue. We were approved and closed in 30 days and they worked with us as far as calling us every step telling us what they needed from what we sent or trying to understand things. They were really involved, always helping and they told us what was going on. When we first found the one home we wanted, they gave us a price, and my mom said that we can't afford it. The lady we were working with told her the loan amount that she needed to look at. It was just real quick, and it was all good.

Original review: June 12, 2018

The Vanderbilt Mortgage application and underwriting process was pretty quick. It only took less than a month. They called me and explained how everything worked in a detailed manner and I understood what they were talking about pretty well. If I had any questions, they gave me a number where I could call. Also, the loan specialist was being honest. It was pretty easy to conduct business with Vanderbilt and through working with them, I got a new place for my kids to live. I already recommended this company to a couple of friends.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Vanderbilt Mortgage did well in helping to close my loan. The only issue I had with them was the one time that someone forgot to file something which held up the process for a little while. That has taken them longer than what it should have, like verifying my employment, and so they had to take almost two weeks. In the end, the application and underwriting process took about a month and a half to be completed. Also, I had originally communicated to Vanderbilt that I wanted to do utilities and water included. And with that, be able to waive in the home before I had to start paying on it but it never got included. They said that they would see what could happen and that's understandable but they didn’t even try to do anything with me or ask me anything about it.

On the other hand, I was most impressed with the fact that Vanderbilt actually work reasonably quick to get me an initial offer through the loan. It came to me at a rapid pace. And while I didn’t have many interactions with my loan specialist, Tammy did well and was very nice. Yet they also could have let me know what was going on a little bit more. I was able to call but it was hard to get a hold of somebody. Other than that, the overall transparency of the lending process was very good. They were very open in letting me know what was going on when they did speak with me about everything.

In general, conducting a business with Vanderbilt was really easy and everything went well once everything got done. It was a good experience except for that one slight hiccup with the paperwork from the one in Oregon and them not including my utilities. But things happen and I should have been a little bit more open about that. So, I'd recommend them but others should make sure that they are on top of their paperwork and make sure that everything gets taken care of.

Original review: June 11, 2018

We closed the loan from the company where we bought our trailer and Vanderbilt worked with them. Communicating with Vanderbilt wasn't difficult and I went back and forth with their loan specialist. She was extremely nice and was very involved with everything. I asked her everything I needed to know and she got all my questions answered. Since working with Vanderbilt, I've found them to be a good loan service. However, the only problem we had was that whenever they came, it took them almost two weeks to bring the papers to us after we signed at closing. Still, Vanderbilt gave us a great deal and they helped us get a loan when nobody else would.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Vanderbilt is a very good company to get a loan from. They try to work with you the best they can. The whole process took about less than a month and they did everything in a timely manner. If we needed something or we didn't do something right, they let us know immediately and we got it taken care of. They worked really well and fast. They would email us if they wanted to contact us, and I would call back if I had any questions. Everybody was fairly easy to get a hold of. Jaima was really kind and she knew what she was talking about. She was willing to go out of her way to help us try to figure everything out.

Original review: June 11, 2018

The mortgage process at Vanderbilt could've been a little quicker, but one of the ladies that was handling that department was sick and they forgot to pass my information to somebody else. But still they did good. Once we were approved, it was very easy. The people at Vanderbilt were informative and helpful. They were also down-to-earth and very easy to understand. I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: June 10, 2018

The lending process of Vanderbilt Mortgage was easy to understand and I was impressed that it was fast The underwriting process took a month to be completed. The rep helped me a lot and explained to me about the loan and how the lending process works. Every time we went there, she was nice. Vanderbilt Mortgage helped me get a better price and a bigger loan, and I've already told some friends about them.

Original review: June 10, 2018

The loan process with Vanderbilt was easy as far as filling out all the paperwork. We heard back not too long after we put the paperwork in and they came back with an interest rate and how much down. Once we made the decision to go ahead, everything was simple as far as the phone calls and talking to the different departments. One drawback was that every time I called, I got somebody different. It was hard to talk to the same representative from the last time I called. Also, a lot of times when they called, it was while I was at work. But those are the only things that I didn’t like about it. Everything else was good. They were all nice and friendly. One time, there was a mix up on one of the addresses and they called and asked questions about it. Then I realized what happened with it and called them back. I clarified all that and it went real smooth. It didn’t really delay the process that much.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Vanderbilt Mortgage worked with us. The underwriting process, however, took a few days to be completed. The longest part was getting the house put together because the weather turned bad, so we had to wait for the weather to clear up. But, other than that, if it hadn’t been for the weather, they would have been done extremely quick with everything. Talking to them was very easy. If the payment wasn’t where we were comfortable with it, Randy, our loan specialist, would try to get it down lower. He would call and check in and go over everything with us until we were satisfied with it. He kept us informed on everything, too. They always called back pretty quickly. The process was easy to understand as well. I would recommend them to anybody.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Everything went good with my application with Vanderbilt Mortgage. The process took about a month from start to finish. Their reps were courteous and professional. And it was easy communicating with them. I was always kept up with everything.

Original review: June 9, 2018

The loan specialist at Vanderbilt was very polite. She helped me with my instructions on what days I need to pay and how much it is a month. Communicating with her was also really easy. Every once in a while, I had to leave a message but they usually called me back. Everything was easy whenever they took me step by step through everything. I had a hard time understanding the differences with the insurance and they explained all that to me. The full packet we had to do took 20 minutes and everything was smooth.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Vanderbilt Mortgage's transparency on their lending process is very good. They made it pretty well cut-and-dried and self-explanatory on closing my loan. They were very thorough in explaining things and there wasn’t a whole lot of rigmarole with it. When I called my loan specialist twice about something, it didn’t take any time to get it done. I wish dealing with the home builder was as easy as it was to deal with Vanderbilt.

Original review: June 8, 2018

We started the process with Vanderbilt Mortgage in February and we signed the papers in May. They kept me informed of what was going on and they did really well. Everything was upfront. If I had any questions, they'd answer it. We were trying to find something that would be in our price range and every time that Wade came back, we'd have to find something different and then he'd call us within a few days and tell us what it was with that particular time. They're really good in their customer service.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I had a great experience with Vanderbilt Mortgage. They did a really good job keeping me informed. I was hearing something every week. I got texts and emails, and they gave me quick phone calls to update me where they were at the process. It really helped out. It made me feel good knowing that somebody was keeping an eye on it and knowing that they actually cared.

There was a little bit of an issue with my company in getting me the pay confirmation. My company was taking forever but even though that, Vanderbilt stayed in contact and up-to-date with me if there was anything they could do to help to get that process sped up. The loan specialist did a really good job with that. Everybody I talked to throughout this process had helped me greatly as far as answering any questions. A lot of it didn’t even involve the actual mortgage, like disability insurance. Even though that wasn’t something they did, they helped point me in the right direction.

Vanderbilt Mortgage Company Information