Call toll free
4.76/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Vanderbilt Mortgage and Finance, Inc. is a national housing lender that has been in business for more than 40 years, specializing in new and used manufactured and modular homes.

Vanderbilt Mortgage offers a variety of financing programs for customers with great credit, less than perfect credit, and for first time homebuyers. We help families just like yours find the right financing program to obtain the home of their dreams.

Contact our team of experts today, and let us help you start the process of becoming a homeowner.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1768 Vanderbilt Mortgage Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

The application and underwriting process at Vanderbilt Mortgage was handled in a timely fashion. I wasn’t sure what they wanted, so the lady who was helping me with buying a mobile home took care of everything and helped me fill out the application. It took about a week before I was told that I was approved. Then when I first started calling them and wanted some information, I kept trying to get the person that was taking care of the loan, but there was a receptionist that came on the line and kept telling me that it was their busiest and she was sorry that no one would give me a call back. I called four times and I couldn’t get anybody to call me back.

I’m still not in my house because of the rain and stuff, and I sent in a payment for October and November. However, I’m still not getting an amortization from Vanderbilt. I called customer service to get some information, and this lady was an absolute gem. She was apologizing all over the place, and there wasn’t a thing that she needed to apologize for because I wasn’t on the computer at the time because the house had not been delivered to my property due to the weather.

Several weeks later, an auditor called me and said that my payment date had been moved back. I told her that I already sent in two payments, but she could not see my account on the computer. I also told her that I wanted an amortization that was run by Vanderbilt showing that I would be paying 77,000 in interest because when I pulled it up on the computer, it was coming up with below 60s. She then called me back again and said that I could get it from customer service.

I got a welcome call several weeks ago and the Vanderbilt rep told me that my first payment was not due until March. I then asked what happened to my other two payments, which he said were applied to January and February. I’m fine with that. I also asked him about an amortization and he told me about this website where an amortization statement would be and I would be able to see my payments and what was applied.

I was disgruntled with Vanderbilt, at first, because I thought they were just really going super-slow, but that was because of the weather and they could not initiate anything until after my house was on the property. So, once I've understood that, I don’t have a problem with them at all. I’m still waiting for an amortization that shows me that I’m gonna pay them $77,000 in interest. But eventually, I’m sure somebody is gonna wake up and send me one.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Vanderbilt's loan process was great. I was able to do it in between my load or after work because it was so hard for me to get off from work. I talked to them about it, so they worked around my schedule. When I met with their rep, he was willing to wait until I got there. I live in Jeanerette which is about 35 to 40 minutes away and at the time I got off my bus, he told me to take my time through traffic because he was not going anywhere. They also normally got back to me if I had a concern even if they sent an email and a lot of times, I didn't catch their calls because I was driving my bus. But I checked my email often when I got home in the evening or when I stopped somewhere.

At the time I could move in, they pushed the date back from my first payment, which was December 1st. I was wishing it would have been January but you can't have everything. Other than that, I had a good experience with them. We had some delays because of the weather but it wasn't their fault and the application process didn't take long. The transparency of their lending process was cool, too. There was one thing that I wanted that I couldn't get but the lady explained to me that I didn't wanna go above my means. I wanna have a double-wide trailer but with the income I was making, she was right because I still have to live. I can't just buy stuff and not be able to pay the rest of my bills. So, they didn't just let you do it, like some people who are gonna try to find a way then get stuck it in.

I went through Vanderbilt before when I was married and at the time I split up with my ex husband, he stopped paying the loans, so I had to take them over. Vanderbilt worked with me and I explained that to them when I was first getting this loan here as I was doing it by myself. It was like I was starting over and I was scared. Also, I don't like rejection because I work as hard as a I can taking care of my daughters and they told me not to worry. They also said that they were gonna do what they have to do and help me as much as they could. Then they got all the information and made it happen. I liked that because I didn't wanna go to anybody else because I wasn't familiar with anyone else. Other than that, I was telling one of my girlfriends to talk to Vanderbilt, even though she never did anything with them. You never know what it's gonna be unless you act, and you can only get a yes or no answer. It ain't gonna hurt to talk and to ask.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

The application and underwriting process took less than a week. First off, I went in, looked at trailers, and found out which one I liked and wanted. I had filled out the application and I worked with Keith. He was very personable sharing with me about his kids and wife, and that he was becoming an uncle. I'm a teacher and he asked about my school and my kid. I could see him on another street, and he would know my name and about my family. He was excellent. He gave me his phone number, and I could text him, and he would answer right back.

His guy, David, got my information and said that based on my info, it looked like I was gonna be approved, so I should expect a callback from them right away, within two weeks. And within five days, I got a call. They told me they were gonna run my stuff, and then I have 180 days from that day to get approved. As long as I have the money by September the 9th, they will hold my loan up that long. I told them I could have the money by then. They said they would save it for me and they would put me on file, and I was good to go when I bring the money. It was very easy and simple. They were very nice and they would remind me and ask me how I was. They were checking on me, making sure that I was still looking, and wanting. They were interested in me even though I wasn’t an active customer. After that, I went in with my deposit. We closed the next week and we got the house that same week.

When they asked for paperwork, they would remind me about it and would allow me to ask questions. Or if I needed help finding or getting it, they would tell me where to go. So, they worked with me a lot. The lending process needs to be streamlined though. I turned something in to the local office here, but then the corporate office would send me an email saying they haven't received it. And so, they would call me, and then I would have to call them back and tell them that I already turned it in. Then, I would have to call here. But it was easy to communicate with them. They gave me many options to choose from to try to contact them and even directly screenshot information to their representatives.

Everybody in the office did excellently, was friendly and open to all kinds of crazy questions from a 37-year-old who has never bought anything other than a car. They went above and beyond. I called up there many times just to check and see, and everybody knew the answer. If they didn’t, they found the answer and called me right back. However, we’re having a little bit of hiccups with the water department who is supposed to get out there. It’s part of my loan, and it’s still not done. I'm about to pay my mortgage, and I’m not yet able to live in the house which I got for a month and half now. So, that’s a little annoying. But other than that, Keith had someone come out and fix the damages. Except for a few things that are needed to be done like the hooking up of the sewage and getting the underpinning, everything has been great and I already have recommended them to somebody.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

My mother financed a single wide with Vanderbilt back in ’86. I was there and I said that if I ever went back with somebody, I wanted it to be like Vanderbilt. Then when we went to buy a modular, we ended up getting Vanderbilt. So it was a win-win situation. It was our first time purchasing a home and we had read about certain things that you need to purchase a home. We tried to get much of what we needed to have and what we knew to have in place to make the process easy. But along the way, we ran into a couple of hiccups with some of our information.

But Vanderbilt actually made it easy for us to go through the process. All calls were answered and returned too. They were prompt and they were right there with me through the issues. When we ran into an obstacle, they pretty much showed me the right direction that I should go to get it taken care of. We were going through a checklist and when I met one obligation, we moved on to the next thing. We went down the list and it was a good experience for me.

The first guy I talked to at Vanderbilt was very positive and uplifting. He gave me the motivation to see it through to the end. I worked with a lot of different people and when we got out of one team’s zone, we went to the next zone with that team. Whatever their specialty was, we would get that information. Michael, in particular, was very helpful and was instrumental in getting me started. He steered me in the right direction and motivated me to keep going. A lot of people think they would do this and that then it would be over with. Michael told me it was more of a process that we had to go through.

It was a real learning experience. The process was not hard or tedious. But there are certain criteria that you have to meet and things that they need you to provide them with. The quicker you provide them with the information they need, the quicker you can move on to your next situation. Once we got everything checked off the checklist – all the information they needed, everything we needed to provide them with and everything they needed to provide us with – we then signed the deal. It was that easy. I would definitely recommend Vanderbilt Mortgage because they’re very easy to work with. It’s not, “Well, either we’re gonna do this or we’re not gonna do this.” They guide you as much as the federal laws allow them to tell you.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

We tried a year ago to get a home loan mortgage and it was before I had my two years in with my union hall. The loan company that I dealt with said that it was not a problem. We were 72 hours away from closing when they called saying that they couldn't verify my income so they were backing out. I also tried to go to my personal bank and they said that unless I was putting it on a foundation or I give them 20% down, I should forget about it and it was not going to happen. They also said that they were not using my land as a down-payment on closing cost so it ticked me off a little bit because I’ve dealt with my bank for the last 16 years.

I was a little on the nervous side when I started dealing with Vanderbilt but I had a great interaction with my loan specialist. The first guy I dealt with was brutally honest but wasn't rude, and I appreciated it. I would rather have someone be upfront with me about how I can get this to work than saying they would find a way and make it work but then would not make it happen because of something they should have told me upfront. Vanderbilt specializes in a certain home manufacturing company mortgages and they said that I could use my land as a down payment and towards my closing cost. They were recommending it so it was less out of pocket for me.

We started with them at the beginning of August and we closed December the 1st. It took a little longer than usual because I was a union worker, and they wanted me to work at the same job from start to finish and that was almost impossible in my field. Everything was good to go and they wanted to do a verbal verification of employment with my employer. But I got laid off the day before and went to a new job the following day so they wanted to rerun pay stubs for 30 days.

Finally, somebody talked to the right person and they understood that I was a union worker and they knew that I wasn’t gonna be at the same job for the rest of my life. I had to send them every pay stub for the last two years since I’ve joined the union so they could match my W2 with my pay stubs that I worked for many different companies. They did what most other places would do and did my W2s, my tax returns, pay stubs, and everything into account. Vanderbilt made everything as quick and painless as possible than I ever thought it would be and if someone was out looking for a mortgage loan, I would try and get them to go and deal with Vanderbilt because they were by far one of the best people bank-wise that I’ve ever talked to and dealt with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanderbilt Mortgage?

Original review: June 14, 2019

Vanderbilt's lending process was exceptional. The rep was friendly and she always kept me informed of everything. She always called me back. They said I was in a flood zone but I did some research and found out that it wasn't. So they did more research and fixed all that. Also, I couldn't' do anything during the week so they sent a notary out on a Saturday to meet up with me to close. Vanderbilt has been pretty quick about getting the loan closed and they have been really easy to work with. They have met all my needs and their impact on my life is pretty big. I own a home now. I've recommended them.

Original review: June 13, 2019

The process with Vanderbilt Mortgage wasn't very long. It was a couple months and they were great. They kept us informed and told us what paperwork was needed. It was easy to communicate with them and if we had problems, Laura took care of it right away. They've done a good job and everything was good.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Vanderbilt's lending process is good. It took about a month to complete and getting ahold of the rep was pretty easy. They explained everything that I needed to know about the mortgage pretty good.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Vanderbilt was real good because we ran into a couple problems with the accounting, and we would just communicate it with them and they were real good about working with us and trying to get everything we needed done for the loan. If I needed anything the rep I dealt with said I just have to call. And they were always there and they kept me up-to-date on whenever my payment was due, if they see that I was falling back on the due date. They always just pushed it, gave me the extra month to have my payment in. I recommend Vanderbilt.

Original review: June 10, 2019

Except for the communication, it's been an okay process with Vanderbilt. It took a little bit over a month to complete which I was satisfied with. But the reps could improve on answering phone calls and voicemails. We had talked to Elizabeth and Jessie. We tried calling and calling and calling and we could never get in touch with them. We leave voicemails and nobody ever called us back. When we have filed for homestead exemption and since the beginning of last week, I've been trying to send the paperwork and I cannot get in touch with nobody. I've emailed and I've called them. I've sent the paperwork to the email that Jessie had given me a while back and I haven't gotten any answer back from that.

A couple of days later, someone from customer service called and told me that I needed to send it to the tax email that she had given me. I emailed it and it gave me two responses saying that it couldn't be delivered. So I called the customer service number back and they gave me a fax number. I tried faxing it twice but there was no answer. I called them back and they told me to retry the process again. I've tried the process and got the same exact answer. So I just went the other route and mailed a hard copy to Vanderbilt tax department but I haven't heard anything from them. I'm just wondering if the homestead exemption is actually gonna be taking place. I've asked for a number to call the tax department but they can't give me a number.

Our first payment is due July 3rd but that's why I'm kinda scared that I'm gonna be pushed further back for the homestead exemption. Someone had called saying how much the payment is, when's it due, etc. but we haven't gotten a statement in the mail. I'm not sure when they'll send one, but I wanna make the payment. When I logged in online, it says that our payment's not due.

Original review: June 9, 2019

I would highly recommend Vanderbilt. The loan went through pretty quickly and everything was great. They’re really polite. Any questions we had, they were right on top of it. They answered them without any hesitation. They were really good to deal with. What stood out was the rep's output on all the information on the loan and going over everything and explaining everything in detail. She was really good with all that.

Original review: June 8, 2019

Vanderbilt's lending process was fast and it was everything we really wanted and needed. They were very responsive. Whenever we called or sent an email, we heard from them on the same day. They gave us multiple options and also gave us time to weigh our options. The guy that we dealt with was in no rush and easy to talk to. He was friendly and honest with me. The entire process took about four months which I was completely satisfied with.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Vanderbilt's lending process took less than a month. We did it over the phone and they were very sweet people. It was very easy to get ahold of anybody from Vanderbilt if I ever had any questions. If the rep, Louis, couldn't get ahold of me, she would get ahold of my daughter so they could get ahold of me.

Original review: June 5, 2019

We’ve closed on the trailer, but we’re having a problem getting everything set up. Still, the process was easy. I just waited till things got done. I dealt with the people at the mobile home place, and let them deal with things.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Vanderbilt is a really understanding Mortgage company, they understand and they will help resolve your issue in any way possible. Dallas ** is such a sweet person to work with. They make it easy to keep your home if you come into financial problems, they are there you just have to communicate with them and let them know what's going on. Thanks again Vanderbilt.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Vanderbilt is the best company to go with. Their application process was good though it was a lot of paperwork. If I could’ve done something online, that would’ve been better ‘cause I did four applications. But everything was straightforward and they are always there to give us feedback. The rep was very informative and very helpful. If I had a question, I could always call her or send her an email and she would normally have the answers to all my questions. If she didn’t know for certain, she would just call me back. She’d go to a higher manager and ask them just to give me the correct information. She’s awesome. I was very satisfied with Vanderbilt.

Original review: May 29, 2019

The people at Vanderbilt Mortgage were very helpful with some of the stuff we had to do beforehand to get the house. We had to get a construction note for several of the things we had to do, a well, septic and et cetera. They were very polite and helpful with pretty much everything from start to finish. They’ve pretty much started doing all the paperwork and getting in touch with everybody. They asked for the documents, and the stuff they needed on their end, just like income and background check. Everything was just very good and very quick. I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: May 28, 2019

Less than a month after I had my deposit with Vanderbilt, I was approved. Their reps got everything ready so that I could close on the day that we ended up closing on without having any issues or problems. They did a really good job, especially the person who called me back and explained what my rates and costs are going to be and when my monthly payment would start. Overall, it's a good company to go with.

Original review: May 7, 2019

After the sudden death of my spouse I found myself dealing with estate requirements. Also I became sole owner of our loan. Worried and scared for my financial certainty, Vanderbilt provided me with confidence that everything would be taken care of. A probate personnel manager, David, helped me so very much. The estate will soon be final. Thank you so much Vanderbilt. I'll be forever grateful. If I could give you more stars than 5 I sure would.

Linda Kay

Original review: May 1, 2019

The application and underwriting process with Vanderbilt Mortgage took a few days. They worked with the home center well as far as getting me approved because it was borderline. It was easy to communicate with them during the whole process and the transparency of their lending process was good.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I enjoyed working with Vanderbilt Mortgage. Everything went well and it wasn’t difficult at all to conduct business with them. They took me step by step on what was going on and they called me every day to keep me updated. But the application and underwriting took a while because we were dealing with Restore and Vanderbilt couldn't do anything until Restore made a decision on whatever they were trying to do. Other than that, I recommended Vanderbilt to my sister.

Original review: April 25, 2019

The application and underwriting process with Vanderbilt Mortgage took about a month. Their reps called me a lot, which was nice. We dealt with a lender right before Vanderbilt, but they didn’t call me that much and we didn’t know where the process was at. I dealt with a few different people at Vanderbilt and they answered my calls. When I talked to two or three different people, they were all very good. They kept me updated and were always interested. It was very easy to communicate with them.

Original review: April 23, 2019

We got our first house through Vanderbilt Mortgage. The application and underwriting process took a couple of weeks and it was good. Vanderbilt helped out a lot to close the loan and they were perfect. They took care of everything I needed to do and they called a bunch of times and let me know what was going on. They emailed me everything, so I wasn't out of the loop at all. As far as communication, it was easy. Anytime I needed to call or email them, they answered back right away and took care of everything. My brother is getting the same house and he is going through Vanderbilt now, too. He asked who I went through. I told him it was Vanderbilt and that they took care of everything. So, when he was asked who he wanted to go through, he said, "Vanderbilt, yeah, that's the one we wanna go through 'cause they did my brother's house and everything went fine."

Original review: April 22, 2019

Vanderbilt has been a good loan company. Working with them has put me in a new home and the application and underwriting process did not take long at all. They called me and gave me a quote, then I went up there. Their rep met me at the mobile home place and then I filled out the application. The rep was good.and she explained everything. They also kept in contact and were on top of it during the process. And everybody that I dealt with has been terrific - the sales team, the mortgage team as well as the set-up crews. It has been a life-changing experience overall.

Original review: April 21, 2019

I am a first time buyer and Vanderbilt has done all kinds of things to help me out. They gave me all the information and explained everything to me in detail. They also told me what they needed upfront. Communicating with Vanderbilt is sometimes hard. We talk by email and texts, and I've talked on the phone with them, but sometimes you can talk to somebody and sometimes they're busy. Nevertheless, they're easy to work with and I have recommended them.

Original review: April 20, 2019

While the application and underwriting of my loan took a couple of months, Vanderbilt got it done. However, I hope they could look at the actual profit-loss statement of my business so they would know what I actually profit instead of what my taxes look like. The taxes do not represent what I profit in my business and on being a trucker. We truckers get to take off our living expense for every day we are on the road. That right there takes $15,000 off of what they think I'm making. Other than that, doing business with Vanderbilt is easy and the transparency of their lending process is good.

Original review: April 19, 2019

The people at Vanderbilt helped me a lot. I worked with Frank, the guy who sold me the trailer, and he was very helpful. When I had questions or concerns, they call me. I understood everything. All in all, the application and underwriting process took less than a week and since working with Vanderbilt, my life changed a lot for the better. I'd tell everyone that it's good to try with them.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I had a great experience with Vanderbilt. The first time I had a loan with them, the application and underwriting process took about a month. The second one took two days. While they were upfront with me in everything, the only hiccup was I had to prove that I made over the amount that they wanted for the loan. In fact, at first I was approved, and then they were like, "We don't quite know. We have to verify that." I had to show them that I made that amount that was pre-qualified.

After talking to my third manager, they understood that I made well enough over the amount they wanted to have. Although it all worked out in the end, if someone made the money that the application says, that person should be qualified. Other than that, it's easy to get a hold of someone from Vanderbilt. I keep reaching out and then they reach out at me within 24 hours. In addition to that, Vanderbilt made things a lot easier for me, especially when it came to understanding how everything works.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Vanderbilt did an awesome job and they got everything straightened out. The application and underwriting process was completed in a month. I spoke to three different people and they kept in contact with me. Most of the time, whenever I called, someone would talk to me right then and let me know what was going on.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Vanderbilt called me on daily to ask me questions and see how everything was going. For any questions I had, I would give them a call and they had the answers right there when I needed them. I worked with Caden, my loan specialist, and he did a good job. It was kinda new to me so he was still trying to learn the ropes. I was very happy that the application and underwriting process was very quick. It was faster than I expected and I was very shocked when they told me I got approved for the house.

Vanderbilt Mortgage Company Information