4.71/5
Based on 501 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Vanderbilt Mortgage and Finance, Inc. is a national housing lender that has been in business for more than 40 years, specializing in new and used manufactured and modular homes.

Vanderbilt Mortgage offers a variety of financing programs for customers with great credit, less than perfect credit, and for first time homebuyers. We help families just like yours find the right financing program to obtain the home of their dreams.

Contact our team of experts today, and let us help you start the process of becoming a homeowner.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 19, 2018

825 Vanderbilt Mortgage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Vanderbilt Mortgage offered a good deal and I told them what the seller was asking and they made the loan to fit. They said it would be 45 days at the most to process my application. But due to some issue with the land, I closed after 59 days instead. The process took a while but anytime I sent them an email, they always responded. And they were clear with everything that was going on. I spoke with a few different people and they were always helpful. At one point, I wanted to offer the loan just a little bit and I wanted them to do a land survey to know exactly what they would buy. But they never did it.

When I got the quote back on the mobile home itself, it valued more than what the loan amount was for, even without land. I wanted to do the trailer and one lot. Then I would just buy the other three lots from the individual. If I could, I wanted to have some little land in my name as well since I want to build on it. But at the same time, I didn't want to build on it until it was paid off because if something were to happen, I didn't want to build on land only for it to be taken away.

I had asked Vanderbilt Mortgage about that and they told me that I had to split up the other three lots to do that. Then I would have to get a survey done and I would have to pay more for that. But I don't see why they didn't do a survey on the four lots themselves when the loan went through. They don't know where the property lands are because there was no resurvey done. When I closed, I had highlighted what was supposed to be the property lands and it included the neighbor's property. They said my down payment was for the appraisal of the home. It was supposed to be for the land but they never looked at anything as far as land wise. The only thing I ever saw was the appraisal of the trailer home itself. Other than that, Vanderbilt Mortgage was great and working with them was pretty easy.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Vanderbilt Mortgage processed my loan quickly and took only three weeks, which is what I needed. Everything went step-by-step like it was supposed to. The only communication I had with their rep was through email, but everything happened with no problems. And, she would respond within 30 minutes if I had a question. I had a question where I spoke with someone and they got me to his phone within two or three seconds. We were in a bind since we were selling one home and had no place to go. We told them the date when we were closing on the home that we were selling and said that we needed to have the loan done as close to that date as possible. They did really well and only missed by one day. I'd suggest giving Vanderbilt Mortgage a try.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Vanderbilt Mortgage was prompt about my loan application. It took them just about a couple of weeks to close on my loan. The process was also accurate and it was just a battle of signing the papers. It was easy to communicate with their loan specialist too. When Vanderbilt had the papers all drawn up, he and I met and sat down. We talked for about 40 minutes and he explained to me what I needed to do and what they expected of me. He was pretty thorough and he made sure I understood what was going on. The only question I had that was never answered was what kind of warranty we had on the house. Still, I highly recommend Vanderbilt. They were concerned about how things went.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I've had Vanderbilt for years. The first time we used Vanderbilt Mortgage, my husband and I had a single wide. We had them until they sold the mortgage over to 21st Mortgage. When my husband passed, I sold our old home. I bought a new home and did it for my daughter and my son-in-law. I was tickled pink when Vanderbilt jumped right on it and said they would carry the mortgage. I have nothing but great things to say about them.

During the process, they contacted me and they sent things through email and kept me posted on everything. They constantly asked me if there was anything else that I needed. They made everything very simple and I didn't have to do anything. The communication was excellent and seemed like one-on-one. In addition, the loan officer was there if I had any questions. The process was straightforward. There was no guesswork about anything and no "read between the lines." I'd recommend Vanderbilt. I did it before and I would do it again.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I bought a 2017 28 x 56 double-wide trailer which has three bedrooms and two bathrooms with Vanderbilt's help. I was nervous because I’ve never applied for a loan before but they were very comforting and made it very easy. They explained everything and did everything for me. They were awesome and they had no problems in answering anything. The entire process took less than a month to complete and their loan specialist was very friendly, caring, and detailed. Some people make me feel stupid but she didn’t and I didn’t feel judged.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanderbilt Mortgage?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I'm thankful for Vanderbilt Mortgage. They gave me a chance to get the loan I needed and get my own place. I told the rep April everything and she told me what I needed to do which I did. All of their people were nice, patient and polite. They helped and quoted the work well. It was also easy to get in touch with them and their lending process was visible. The application and underwriting process didn't take too long and everything went pretty decent.

But there was a miscommunication where I somehow didn't understand at that time. There was one thing I was questioning. It had nothing to do with the email on the list and the list on that go off my payments so it got settled. It was extra on the loan. But it would be nice if I could get the payments cheaper. Vanderbilt would be a good place to try even if you have a lot of credits and you're just getting started. They are decent people with a great work file.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

The application and underwriting process was super quick with Vanderbilt. They called me and asked me how they could make the loan better for me and they called or emailed me with every update and every step of the process the whole time. It was super easy to get in touch with them. Everybody answered their phones or gave me the correct phone number to call to talk to who I needed to talk to. And they got back to me immediately via email or phone call when I have questions or concerns. Also, I was able to email my papers to the loan specialist and they let me know when they received them so there was no delay in the process. The lending process was super transparent and I would totally recommend Vanderbilt. They were really easy to get along with and led me through the process considering it was my first time buying a home.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Vanderbilt was really friendly. I have their callback number and I would constantly send them text messages and leave them a voicemail to call me back if I needed them. The application took thirty minutes and the whole process took two weeks. They did a good job and I would recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

The home loan process at Vanderbilt Mortgage was very easy and it was made simple for me to buy my home. In addition, their people were very helpful. They walked me through the process and helped me with every step. Brittany was my loan specialist throughout the whole process. My W-2's from years prior had to be researched and she did that for me. In addition, I was impressed with her organization, and she was always quick to answer my questions when I communicate with her through text or call. Overall, conducting business with Vanderbilt was very easy and it was the most transparent part of buying a home.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Vanderbilt Mortgage's application process only took a week or two to finish. Moreover, they waited until the trailer was built to where it could be moved. We communicated some through text and when I called them, they got back to me as soon as they could. In addition, they weren't rude. I'm satisfied with everything that Vanderbilt Mortgage has done.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Vanderbilt's application and underwriting process was terrific. It took a month and a half and they worked with me really well. However, the loan specialist that I dealt with, told me one thing then the manager would say another. But other than that, they're the best people to work with. I would recommend them highly.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Vanderbilt worked with our pay scale like when we were getting our paychecks. It was really easy to communicate with them and every time I would call, they would answer. Also, it was easy to deal with Wade, my loan specialist, and if I had questions, I could email them and they would email me right back. The application to closing was not even two months and the transparency of the lending process was good. Doing business with Vanderbilt, overall, was easy. I'm going to refer them.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I started to finance my mobile home through Vanderbilt until I read some of the reviews from their customers! My heart goes out for the people they ripped off! Their loan specialist called a few days ago and I politely told him to just put my file in the paper shredder! Today I received a written quote from them! Big difference from what I was told on the phone and the written quote I received! Total loan amount, quote on phone $49,365.00. Written quote $66.120.00! Monthly payment quote on phone $470.00 for 23 years including escrow, written quote $563.00 for 30 years not including escrow! Bi-weekly quote on phone $218.00 including escrow, written bi-weekly quote $282.00 not including escrow!!!

They also sent me a letter explaining how they will have to do an appraisal and valuation on my property at my expense! I'm pretty sure I made it very clear that my property was NOT going to be used for as a down payment and I was NOT going to sign the deed over to them!!! Luckily I have enough money in a 401K account to write a check for my mobile home and not have to deal with a company like Vanderbilt! It blows my mind that several states attorney’s offices have not gone after them for predatory lending practices!!!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

The people at Vanderbilt Mortgage were very informative. They touched base with me every single day when something would change or if something came up. They talked to me on first name basis like they knew me for 10 years, so it made it a lot easier. There was only one time I called and they didn't get in touch with me within 24 hours. And every other time, it's within two to eight hours.

And while it was so easy to work with them, having a local office would be an improvement because I'd rather sit down and talk to somebody face to face instead of over the phone or email. Other than that, I don't feel like they hid anything from me. When I asked them a question, they were more than welcome to answer it entirely. If someone would ask about Vanderbilt, I would tell them the rate's good and the payment plan's more than acceptable. In addition, personability to me is a big thing and I'm impressed with how polite they were in helping us get a loan.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Vanderbilt gave me a better deal than the other companies that I had. The application process took about a couple of weeks and it was easy to communicate with them throughout the whole process. Also, everything was clear. Their rep, Trip, was a lot of help, professional, and courteous. I'm very pleased with the three-bedroom home we got and Vanderbilt was a good company to go with.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

The application process and the underwriting were quick. Any questions I had, Vanderbilt answered them very quickly and in a timely manner. They were easy to get a hold of and the phone center was easy to work with. They've helped in a lot of different ways and did a good job. It was nice to be able to talk to somebody versus doing everything online and a lot of mortgage companies are going to that now. The plan worked out and I was very happy to have people on the phone talking to me and answering any questions, which made it more personable.

I had spoken to one person who didn't know the answer. That person had to get another person, so I ended up speaking to a few different people. Vanderbilt can improve by personalizing. It would be hard to do that but there could be one person to deal with a handful of mortgages versus having to go through a lot of different people to get some answers. But other than that, communicating with Vanderbilt was easy. They were always upfront with any question I had and if they didn't know the answer, they would always get back to me. I was impressed by how easy it was to submit different numbers on different homes and different land passages, and they were able to get back in with it on time. The transparency of their lending process was good. I appreciate everything they did and I would recommend Vanderbilt to anybody who would ask me about them.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Vanderbilt Mortgage helped to close my loan and their reps were very nice. They worked with me and kept in touch with me week by week letting me know what was going on. I didn’t have to call in and wonder all the time what was happening. If I had a question, they answered right then and usually solved the problem there. The application and underwriting process took about three months. It could be a little faster but they’ve done everything that they could. There were also a few things that needed fixing with the house before I moved but they’ve been in and repaired it. Then, a few days ago, a Vanderbilt rep came in, went around the house taking pictures, and made sure that everything was taken care of.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I'm a truck driver. I was approved quickly and Vanderbilt gave me the first monthly payment that I was gonna make and I told them was, "I can't do that. We're going to have to do something different." It took another two weeks before I got back down there. Vanderbilt set three different loans that they could do with different trailers. We looked at another trailer the last time before we signed our paperwork and that's the trailer we ended up getting. By the time I was ready to sign, I knew exactly what I was signing for. We were kind of blindsided at the end but we got that worked out before we signed. But it was very clear on Vanderbilt's end. The application and underwriting process took two months.

Vanderbilt was awesome and it's very easy to communicate with them. I could not ask for a better group of people to talk to throughout the loan process. If I had a question or if I was worried about something, they sit and talk to me, got me through it, made me understand what I was looking at on paper or what I saw that I was trying to remember. I'm very happy with Vanderbilt. I worked them to death by having them do different trailers. They were very nice and very courteous with the whole process. They get my information to them and I really appreciate everybody's time that they put in. If they couldn't get with me, they didn't leave me on the phone, they'd say, they'd call me back and that's the way it should be. I really enjoyed working with Vanderbilt.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Vanderbilt was quick on a lot of things, even with the process, and I was satisfied with everything. The underwriting process could’ve been done faster, and it took about a month and a half. Sharon, my loan specialist, was pretty good to work with, and she was professional. She was there when I needed her even throughout the process, and she was quick to answer right back any questions that I had or send me text messages. They let me know where my application was and where it was going to go, which was good. I felt very comfortable communicating with her. It was like talking to a sister and we could talk about anything. We are in our new home now. I have a four-bedroom property which is a good size for myself, my husband, and my three kids, so I’m happy with it. Now that I go home and the house is already warm and set up for us, it’s a big relief off of my back so I love it.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

The people at Vanderbilt did a really good job. The process went really nicely and I enjoyed it. It was really easy and wasn't long. My rep was a really nice guy and he went over everything thoroughly and made sure I understood how the process was. They were also easy to get a hold of. Whenever I called, I gave them my name and account number and they answered all of my questions very easily. They called and checked up on me to make sure that everything was all right. You don’t get good service like that anymore.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

The application and underwriting process with Vanderbilt took less than a month. There were a lot of issues but it was easy to communicate with them, and they got back to me right away if I had questions. My loan specialist would pick up the phone, point and update anything we needed, and then they called to verify information more than one time. We didn’t have to wait long and they kept us updated. The home is a four-bedroom and two-bath. It’s wonderful but there are a couple of other things that they have to come and fix that we have been finding. Other than that, everything was done good with Vanderbilt, and I referred them to someone who was looking for a home.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

If you're purchasing a mobile home, Vanderbilt is the best one to go with. They were easy to get in touch and get back with and the girl that we worked with was excellent. She was very polite, kind, patient and all the things that you want whenever someone’s working with you on a loan. Our application and underwriting process went well and took less than a month.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

A couple of people from Vanderbilt Mortgage called me a few different times and went through everything with me. They worked with my wife the same way. Everything went good and smooth. Also, every time we called, they were right there ready to answer questions. The loan specialist told me the price and asked if I was okay with it. The process took about two weeks to finish, which was really quick. The only catch was that I'm going to have to make my first payment before I even get the home. Vanderbilt is good to get a loan from and they are easy to work with.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

The loan process I experienced with Vanderbilt has been better than the process of getting our home. They've been very helpful and they've answered all the questions I have.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

When I applied for a loan, Vanderbilt ran my credit and they approved me. The seller did everything to send all the documents to Vanderbilt and I just had to provide my income. The process didn't take long at all and I didn't wait around for months. The reps were friendly and I've had no problems when I had to resubmit documents.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

The loan was a buy for loan and the first time I was contacted by Vanderbilt, for some reason they didn’t get the message that it was actually a buy for loan so they had to redo the paperwork. But that was the only glitch that I had and it was no big deal. Overall, the process was good and the people that we called were very nice and explained everything well.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

We wanted to do a VA loan and for some reason, it didn't go through. The homebuilder suggested Vanderbilt and we felt pressured to go with them so that made me unhappy. During the loan process, everything was done over the phone and online. The homebuilder pretty much took care of everything. It took a minute for Vanderbilt to approve the loan and when we had to sign some papers, it was done through DocuSign. They financed our home and I’m very happy for that. They were also easy to work with so I would recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I've had a good experience with Vanderbilt so far. They're good people to work with. The lady that we dealt with was nice. We signed the papers in the office at the place I bought my home from. She came, took the information that she needed and got back to us quickly. She also kept asking us if we have any questions. Whenever they call, my wife and I would go right over there and ask them questions. One thing went wrong, however. I signed my name wrong on one piece of paper. So I went back and got it signed. Once we got that squared away, that was it. I would recommend Vanderbilt.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

We got information from the home seller and they gave us a couple of different places. We applied to a couple different places and Vanderbilt was definitely better than the other company. We applied online and they said “Okay.” We filled out a form and then we sent it in. It took half an hour to do the form and then, it took several days to go back and forth with them. Also, their reps did a good job and I was pleased with it. We got everything done back in November but the house is not even finished. Vanderbilt was great overall.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

My daughter got a loan through Vanderbilt Mortgage and I thought they were good, so I did it too. I had a good experience with them. The reps were great and nice. They explained everything to me and I liked the process. A friend at work was looking for a trailer and I told her to go through Vanderbilt Mortgage.

Vanderbilt Mortgage Company Information

www.vmfhomeloan.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use