Call toll free
4.75/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Vanderbilt Mortgage and Finance, Inc. is a national housing lender that has been in business for more than 40 years, specializing in new and used manufactured and modular homes.

Vanderbilt Mortgage offers a variety of financing programs for customers with great credit, less than perfect credit, and for first time homebuyers. We help families just like yours find the right financing program to obtain the home of their dreams.

Contact our team of experts today, and let us help you start the process of becoming a homeowner.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

Vanderbilt Mortgage Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: June 10, 2019

Except for the communication, it's been an okay process with Vanderbilt. It took a little bit over a month to complete which I was satisfied with. But the reps could improve on answering phone calls and voicemails. We had talked to Elizabeth and Jessie. We tried calling and calling and calling and we could never get in touch with them. We leave voicemails and nobody ever called us back. When we have filed for homestead exemption and since the beginning of last week, I've been trying to send the paperwork and I cannot get in touch with nobody. I've emailed and I've called them. I've sent the paperwork to the email that Jessie had given me a while back and I haven't gotten any answer back from that.

A couple of days later, someone from customer service called and told me that I needed to send it to the tax email that she had given me. I emailed it and it gave me two responses saying that it couldn't be delivered. So I called the customer service number back and they gave me a fax number. I tried faxing it twice but there was no answer. I called them back and they told me to retry the process again. I've tried the process and got the same exact answer. So I just went the other route and mailed a hard copy to Vanderbilt tax department but I haven't heard anything from them. I'm just wondering if the homestead exemption is actually gonna be taking place. I've asked for a number to call the tax department but they can't give me a number.

Our first payment is due July 3rd but that's why I'm kinda scared that I'm gonna be pushed further back for the homestead exemption. Someone had called saying how much the payment is, when's it due, etc. but we haven't gotten a statement in the mail. I'm not sure when they'll send one, but I wanna make the payment. When I logged in online, it says that our payment's not due.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Vanderbilt's application and underwriting process took close to two months. The closing was very simple. I told them the challenges that I had, and they found solutions to it. We had a challenge because we had a home that we had to do a deed in lieu on. It is in a very difficult area in Tulsa, and it was getting robbed on such a frequent basis that there wasn’t much left, and we tried putting people in it, and they'd come home and find the thieves in it, and we couldn't do anything. That was four years before that, and so they asked us to do a deed in lieu. The banks wouldn't touch us, as a result of it. They said, "You have to get the company to drop," and the problem I had was nobody could tell me how to do it. Vanderbilt did not make an issue of it, and I thought that was fantastic.

There were times, however, they were asking for things that were not necessary, that were rather ridiculous. With one company that I had financed the snow blower through, they wanted me to get a payment history for the last 12 months. I called the company, and they said that it was ridiculous and that they would refuse to do it.

Also, some of the things, when they got down towards the end, they just threw out. They said, "It's necessary." But we spent a lot of time kinda chasing our tails at times. What made it extremely difficult for me was because we sold our home in Michigan on August the 6th, and we had to be out the 30th. And so we have no time to come down here and get anything started. And so, everything was in storage in Michigan, and so trying to come up with everything was just a nightmare for me. In communicating with them, I usually went over to Clayton Homes and talked with them.

Overall, Vandebilt was all very helpful. They would contact on a fairly regular basis and tell me how the loan process was going. For most people, I think it would go through without a hitch. It was the moving process that got me, and not having access to all of the records. I brought everything that I thought I would need, and I had no idea of the process, how difficult it was to get loans at this point.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

The application and underwriting process at Vanderbilt Mortgage was handled in a timely fashion. I wasn’t sure what they wanted, so the lady who was helping me with buying a mobile home took care of everything and helped me fill out the application. It took about a week before I was told that I was approved. Then when I first started calling them and wanted some information, I kept trying to get the person that was taking care of the loan, but there was a receptionist that came on the line and kept telling me that it was their busiest and she was sorry that no one would give me a call back. I called four times and I couldn’t get anybody to call me back.

I’m still not in my house because of the rain and stuff, and I sent in a payment for October and November. However, I’m still not getting an amortization from Vanderbilt. I called customer service to get some information, and this lady was an absolute gem. She was apologizing all over the place, and there wasn’t a thing that she needed to apologize for because I wasn’t on the computer at the time because the house had not been delivered to my property due to the weather.

Several weeks later, an auditor called me and said that my payment date had been moved back. I told her that I already sent in two payments, but she could not see my account on the computer. I also told her that I wanted an amortization that was run by Vanderbilt showing that I would be paying 77,000 in interest because when I pulled it up on the computer, it was coming up with below 60s. She then called me back again and said that I could get it from customer service.

I got a welcome call several weeks ago and the Vanderbilt rep told me that my first payment was not due until March. I then asked what happened to my other two payments, which he said were applied to January and February. I’m fine with that. I also asked him about an amortization and he told me about this website where an amortization statement would be and I would be able to see my payments and what was applied.

I was disgruntled with Vanderbilt, at first, because I thought they were just really going super-slow, but that was because of the weather and they could not initiate anything until after my house was on the property. So, once I've understood that, I don’t have a problem with them at all. I’m still waiting for an amortization that shows me that I’m gonna pay them $77,000 in interest. But eventually, I’m sure somebody is gonna wake up and send me one.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Vanderbilt's loan process was great. I was able to do it in between my load or after work because it was so hard for me to get off from work. I talked to them about it, so they worked around my schedule. When I met with their rep, he was willing to wait until I got there. I live in Jeanerette which is about 35 to 40 minutes away and at the time I got off my bus, he told me to take my time through traffic because he was not going anywhere. They also normally got back to me if I had a concern even if they sent an email and a lot of times, I didn't catch their calls because I was driving my bus. But I checked my email often when I got home in the evening or when I stopped somewhere.

At the time I could move in, they pushed the date back from my first payment, which was December 1st. I was wishing it would have been January but you can't have everything. Other than that, I had a good experience with them. We had some delays because of the weather but it wasn't their fault and the application process didn't take long. The transparency of their lending process was cool, too. There was one thing that I wanted that I couldn't get but the lady explained to me that I didn't wanna go above my means. I wanna have a double-wide trailer but with the income I was making, she was right because I still have to live. I can't just buy stuff and not be able to pay the rest of my bills. So, they didn't just let you do it, like some people who are gonna try to find a way then get stuck it in.

I went through Vanderbilt before when I was married and at the time I split up with my ex husband, he stopped paying the loans, so I had to take them over. Vanderbilt worked with me and I explained that to them when I was first getting this loan here as I was doing it by myself. It was like I was starting over and I was scared. Also, I don't like rejection because I work as hard as a I can taking care of my daughters and they told me not to worry. They also said that they were gonna do what they have to do and help me as much as they could. Then they got all the information and made it happen. I liked that because I didn't wanna go to anybody else because I wasn't familiar with anyone else. Other than that, I was telling one of my girlfriends to talk to Vanderbilt, even though she never did anything with them. You never know what it's gonna be unless you act, and you can only get a yes or no answer. It ain't gonna hurt to talk and to ask.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

The application and underwriting process took less than a week. First off, I went in, looked at trailers, and found out which one I liked and wanted. I had filled out the application and I worked with Keith. He was very personable sharing with me about his kids and wife, and that he was becoming an uncle. I'm a teacher and he asked about my school and my kid. I could see him on another street, and he would know my name and about my family. He was excellent. He gave me his phone number, and I could text him, and he would answer right back.

His guy, David, got my information and said that based on my info, it looked like I was gonna be approved, so I should expect a callback from them right away, within two weeks. And within five days, I got a call. They told me they were gonna run my stuff, and then I have 180 days from that day to get approved. As long as I have the money by September the 9th, they will hold my loan up that long. I told them I could have the money by then. They said they would save it for me and they would put me on file, and I was good to go when I bring the money. It was very easy and simple. They were very nice and they would remind me and ask me how I was. They were checking on me, making sure that I was still looking, and wanting. They were interested in me even though I wasn’t an active customer. After that, I went in with my deposit. We closed the next week and we got the house that same week.

When they asked for paperwork, they would remind me about it and would allow me to ask questions. Or if I needed help finding or getting it, they would tell me where to go. So, they worked with me a lot. The lending process needs to be streamlined though. I turned something in to the local office here, but then the corporate office would send me an email saying they haven't received it. And so, they would call me, and then I would have to call them back and tell them that I already turned it in. Then, I would have to call here. But it was easy to communicate with them. They gave me many options to choose from to try to contact them and even directly screenshot information to their representatives.

Everybody in the office did excellently, was friendly and open to all kinds of crazy questions from a 37-year-old who has never bought anything other than a car. They went above and beyond. I called up there many times just to check and see, and everybody knew the answer. If they didn’t, they found the answer and called me right back. However, we’re having a little bit of hiccups with the water department who is supposed to get out there. It’s part of my loan, and it’s still not done. I'm about to pay my mortgage, and I’m not yet able to live in the house which I got for a month and half now. So, that’s a little annoying. But other than that, Keith had someone come out and fix the damages. Except for a few things that are needed to be done like the hooking up of the sewage and getting the underpinning, everything has been great and I already have recommended them to somebody.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanderbilt Mortgage?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

The buying process at Vanderbilt was so easy. The application process was a little long, but it was pretty good. The only thing that aggravated me a little bit is that I have to keep making payments on a credit card account. They wanted me to have a zero balance so that we could do the closing. But every time I thought I had a zero balance, something else popped in and I had to keep paying until it was zero.

But the reps really went out of their way to help me out. They didn't have to pay some of my credit card balances in order to do the closing. And they certainly made things easy for me, especially when it came to the escrow. I don't have to handle any of the bills, like the homeowner's insurance and the property tax or something. That's what I love about it because I had an escrow up in Pennsylvania where I'm originally from, and all the bills came to me and then I had to submit the bills. It took a lot of time and energy. My consultant, Ryan, was great. Anything he had questions on, he brought them right up. He didn't hesitate on anything and got everything done faster than I expected.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

Vanderbilt did a good job on my mortgage. It was a quick process and everything went smoothly. I've gotten houses and had vehicle loans before, and this was the easiest and the best loan application I've had. I did not have to wait around for somebody to get back to me. They would call and they would tell me if they needed any more information, and I would provide it. Within a day or two, they would tell me what was going on. They kept me in the loop on everything. Vanderbilt is the best way to go.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

Robin ** gave me the best experience with a Vanderbilt phone call that I’ve ever made. She helped me understand what was going on with an escrow account and explained everything vividly and I appreciate it very much. Thank you Robin! You were very sweet, very detailed and you seemed to care a lot about my issue and I appreciate that. I thank you very much. I wish you very much success in your future. God bless.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

We are half into redoing some stuff with the insurance. It’s gonna change to escrow. It’s taking a little bit of time, but it should be fixed, within four to eight weeks. They could also improve on the communication between the insurance company, the home center, and all that. Trying to get everything worked out on my escrow has been difficult because it’s hard to get them to talk. And you’ve got three to four points--Assurant Home for Vanderbilt, and then, through the person who sold it, and they're all trying to communicate. It’s email here and there. It's time consuming.

Overall, it was a good experience. I felt good about the loan representative. We went step by step with everything. Vanderbilt ran my credit. I had good enough credit to get the loan without having to put my land up for collateral. It’s just having to wait. That’s the biggest issue, but that's normal. It wasn't difficult to do business with Vanderbilt and we are in the home now.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

The signing and all procedures we went through with Vanderbilt took a couple of hours. Everybody I talked to and dealt with were professional and really good people. I had questions and when I would call, they worked with me well, answered all the questions I had, called me back, and made sure everything was good. Everything went great and it was really pleasant. I would highly recommend Vanderbilt.

Vanderbilt Mortgage Company Information