4.5/5 (175 ratings)

About Vanderbilt Mortgage

Vanderbilt Mortgage and Finance (NMLS #1561) is a national housing lender that operates under the umbrella of Berkshire Hathaway. It specializes in financing both new and used manufactured, mobile and modular homes. Vanderbilt also finances improvements for these types of homes, including energy-efficient upgrades.

Pros

• Direct lending for used home purchases
  • Accommodates borrowers with lower credit scores
  • Numerous payment options
  • Home improvement loans with zero down

Cons

• No home equity loans or HELOCs
  • No in-person branches

Bottom Line

Vanderbilt Mortgage is a national lender helping people finance the purchase of new and used manufactured, mobile and modular homes. It works with all types of borrowers, including those without great credit. A loan specialist helps walk you through the application.

Vanderbilt Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanderbilt Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanderbilt Mortgage?

Original review: April 14, 2022

The mortgage process with Vanderbilt went fairly quickly. Everything was wonderful and easy. Bethany, the one who helped me in the beginning until we went to closing, was absolutely amazing. She made the experience great.

Original review: April 8, 2022

The process was very extensive and it was a pain in the butt. The person who takes the applications could have done a much better job at pursuing the information that he needed. They were not very willing to help.

Original review: April 7, 2022

We never had any problems communicating with them. They were always very helpful.

Original review: March 31, 2022

With Vanderbilt, everything was well-planned and smooth. I had no problems with them at all. It was great doing business with them. The rep always kept me updated. I couldn't ask for a better person to take care of. She was always there when I had questions. She was a very sweet lady. In fact, I told them before I'd recommend her to anybody. I'm very satisfied with Vanderbilt and everything they’ve done.

Original review: March 30, 2022

The people from Vanderbilt are very good, professional and they were within our timeframe. They knew that I was in a hurry and they tried to speed it up and get things pushed through. They're really nice and personable. I worked with June, and I can't say anything but good things about her. She tried to work as fast as she could. She tried to help me as much as she could and she wasn’t slow like banks. Vanderbilt is not going to drag it out. They get it done for you. I had a better experience with them than I do with the regular banks. They seem to understand that people need to move. My overall experience is very positive, and I would recommend anyone that is looking for a mobile home to give them an opportunity.

Original review: March 29, 2022

Whatever I asked, Vanderbilt's reps are able to get me the answers through email or phone calls. Doing business with Vanderbilt was easy. They were in contact with me after that through phone calls and emails letting me know each step of the way what we needed and what we're waiting on.

Original review: March 28, 2022

I submitted my application with Vanderbilt on February 25th, and then in two and a half weeks, they had me approved. They moved my house in on the 17th of March and I moved in on Saturday. The customer service was phenomenal. I can't think of anything that I was dissatisfied with. There was no beating around the bush. They told me what I had to have and didn't sugarcoat anything. I've already recommended Vanderbilt Mortgage to four people here at work. I told them to seek Bill and he would move mountains if it was possible.

Original review: March 27, 2022

Everything with Vanderbilt was pretty easy and great. It was like a breeze to go straight through it. The customer service reps were all awesome.

Original review: March 25, 2022

Everything's been good. But I put down 6,000 on my trailer, and then they said I had to come up with another additional 5,000 at Christmas time. So that put a damper on things because I couldn’t get my trailer until April. That was surprising from Vanderbilt because I thought everything was straight up. But they said I had to come up with more money, and I asked them why and they said it didn’t add up.

Original review: March 24, 2022

My girlfriend did the application process with Vanderbilt for me. Then I got emails, and everything has been real good.

Original review: March 23, 2022

They were always very nice and informative. Whenever I needed any information, they were always there, and if they didn't know, they found someone who did know. The whole process was very quick. I was able to get the house within six weeks.

Original review: March 22, 2022

The communication was all through email mostly and some phone calls. It was pretty good and easy.

Original review: March 18, 2022

I just got a mortgage with Vanderbilt and we liked the home loan process. It was very fast and efficient. The rep was great and kept us informed. It was very good dealing with Vanderbilt.

Original review: March 13, 2022

Working with Vanderbilt was a good experience. It was fairly easy and everything went smoothly. The guy was patient and answered thoroughly any questions I had. He was professional.

Original review: March 12, 2022

The process took quite a while but everything went fine.

Original review: March 11, 2022

When they didn't answer, I left a message and they got back with me right away. They were very helpful.

Original review: March 10, 2022

We filled the application out there and the day after, we knew we were approved. They made the process very easy and lenient. They worked with us. They were very nice people. They were very easy to work with.

Original review: March 8, 2022

Vanderbilt is one of the only companies that will finance mobile homes and that's a plus. Their people were great and so was the communication. One rep i had was Kristen and my closer was Rachel. They were both very professional and polite. The only thing was the process was very frustrating. I jumped through a thousand hoops to get this house and it took months. Vanderbilt and the title company couldn't come to an agreement on a lot of things. A lot of that time was stalled because of the communication between the two. Part of the issue was the house’s problem. The total process took six months.

Original review: March 7, 2022

There was a mixup about me canceling my loan. The manager of the office where I bought the home sent out an email to everybody saying I wanted to cancel my loan. She said Vanderbilt said I canceled the loan so I called Vanderbilt and asked what was going on. A lady answered the phone and she kept asking if I still wanted the loan. I asked to talk to a supervisor because I was upset. They passed me to some guy and he was sarcastic like I should know everything that was going on. I hung up and then, three days later, Brandon called me. He was real calm. I explained everything and he apologized and told me everything. He also offered to file a complaint against the local manager here for me. Brandon is the only one that I ever want to work with at Vanderbilt. He's professional and he understands.

Original review: March 6, 2022

My communications with Vanderbilt have always been really good. They've always been very helpful, especially during repossession times.

Original review: March 5, 2022

It was pretty easy to communicate with Vanderbilt during the loan process and the reps I worked with were very informative and helpful. The only thing was that the process took several weeks but everything else was great.

Original review: March 4, 2022

The loan process at Vanderbilt was easy. My girlfriend handled a lot of it. But there were a couple of times when they needed to talk to me. If I didn't understand, somebody explained it. Everything with Vanderbilt was perfectly fine. They did everything they were supposed to do in a timely manner. There wasn't a red tape.

Original review: March 3, 2022

All the other loan companies wouldn't pay off the land before construction was done. Vanderbilt was the only lender that would cut the check for the land right away and not have to wait until they reached a certain phase of construction or the end of construction. Vanderbilt's customer service has been fine for the most part. But it was a lot of running around. They divide the information up between departments. It was a lot of call-you-back messages. Getting information was difficult but they're on top of letting you know when your bill is due. We had to eat the interest rate because Vanderbilt doesn't give a **. They have no application for credit as to your loan rate. They just tax you to make money. On top of everything and screwing you on the interest rate, their origination fee is drastically exaggerated from the market average. The average origination fee is anywhere from two to five grand. Vanderbilt's was eight.

Original review: March 2, 2022

Working with Vanderbilt is super easy. Everything's straightforward and everyone's been nice and helpful. Everybody I've talked to has been super understanding. They have worked fast with me and worked around our weird schedules.

Original review: March 1, 2022

Our experience with Vanderbilt was great. I had multiple representatives, and the communication between everybody we worked with was pretty spot-on. They all knew what each other was doing. It was also an easy process for us. Hopefully, other people's experience would be the same.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

Marisa, the rep, was very knowledgeable, and communication during the loan process was easy. Conducting business with Vanderbilt was fairly easy as well. They called and kept me abreast of what was going on and what the next step was.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

Communication was easy during the process and then it was mediocre after. It would have also been nice for Vanderbilt to give me a title application, showing that they can offer the title to be transferred over to my name. That way, I can get it registered. I didn't know I needed it. They told me everything I needed was in the closing paperwork that they emailed and sent me in the mail. But none of that was. They told me they can't get it for me, but I can try to go up to the Tag office and try to get it. But my only other option is to wait until the title comes in then they'll email me a copy of the title in my name. If anybody does business with Vanderbilt though, I highly recommend Bethany. She was wonderful. Anytime I had a question, if she didn't know the answer, she would always find it and then get back to me in a timely manner.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

They took care of us, and they were very nice, helpful, and walked us through everything. They were very great. Any questions we had, they were more than welcome to answer. I called them back a couple of times with questions that I had just out of the blue, and they never said, "I'll get back to you." They answered my questions right away. I would recommend them 100%. We were first-time homeowners, and it was really nice to be able to walk through.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

I was new to the process and didn't know what all was going on. I had a lot of questions and Vanderbilt got an answer for them. The rep was very helpful. I asked more questions and I got the answer I needed. Some of my questions might have been dumb, but Vanderbilt reassured me that all questions matter. They helped me understand what was being said and how things worked, and led me in the direction that I needed to be with them. And everything went as smooth as it possibly could have. It might have taken a couple of weeks. But once Vanderbilt got the information, they processed it as fast and as conveniently they could.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

We had to do all of the work for them. They would tell me they'd call me back on a certain day but I never heard anything. Also, I never received anything that had numbers on it. I know what my payment is and how many payments but I never got a total of what I was financing. Other than those, Vanderbilt was amazing and I would highly recommend them.

Vanderbilt Mortgage Company Information