Vanderbilt Mortgage

Written by
Author picture
Edited by

About Vanderbilt Mortgage

Vanderbilt Mortgage and Finance (NMLS #1561) is a national housing lender that operates under the umbrella of Berkshire Hathaway. It specializes in financing both new and used manufactured, mobile and modular homes. Vanderbilt also finances improvements for these types of homes, including energy-efficient upgrades.

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • Direct lending for used home purchases
    • Accommodates borrowers with lower credit scores
    • Numerous payment options
    • Home improvement loans with zero down
    Cons
    • No home equity loans or HELOCs
    • No in-person branches

Vanderbilt Mortgage Reviews

Stars Rating

• 73%
    • 16%
    • 6%
    • 1%
    • 5%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanderbilt Mortgage?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanderbilt Mortgage?

Reviewed April 8, 2022

The process was very extensive and it was a pain in the butt. The person who takes the applications could have done a much better job at pursuing the information that he needed. They were not very willing to help.

Reviewed April 7, 2022

We never had any problems communicating with them. They were always very helpful.

Reviewed April 5, 2022

The process was faster than what I thought it was gonna take. Communicating with them was very quick. They answered all the questions I had. If I had any questions later on, I just gave them a callback. I would gladly refer them to somebody else in the future.

Reviewed March 31, 2022

With Vanderbilt, everything was well-planned and smooth. I had no problems with them at all. It was great doing business with them. The rep always kept me updated. I couldn't ask for a better person to take care of. She was always there when I had questions. She was a very sweet lady. In fact, I told them before I'd recommend her to anybody. I'm very satisfied with Vanderbilt and everything they’ve done.

Reviewed March 30, 2022

The people from Vanderbilt are very good, professional and they were within our timeframe. They knew that I was in a hurry and they tried to speed it up and get things pushed through. They're really nice and personable. I worked with June, and I can't say anything but good things about her. She tried to work as fast as she could. She tried to help me as much as she could and she wasn’t slow like banks. Vanderbilt is not going to drag it out. They get it done for you. I had a better experience with them than I do with the regular banks. They seem to understand that people need to move. My overall experience is very positive, and I would recommend anyone that is looking for a mobile home to give them an opportunity.

Reviewed March 29, 2022

Whatever I asked, Vanderbilt's reps are able to get me the answers through email or phone calls. Doing business with Vanderbilt was easy. They were in contact with me after that through phone calls and emails letting me know each step of the way what we needed and what we're waiting on.

Reviewed March 28, 2022

I submitted my application with Vanderbilt on February 25th, and then in two and a half weeks, they had me approved. They moved my house in on the 17th of March and I moved in on Saturday. The customer service was phenomenal. I can't think of anything that I was dissatisfied with. There was no beating around the bush. They told me what I had to have and didn't sugarcoat anything. I've already recommended Vanderbilt Mortgage to four people here at work. I told them to seek Bill and he would move mountains if it was possible.

Reviewed March 27, 2022

Everything with Vanderbilt was pretty easy and great. It was like a breeze to go straight through it. The customer service reps were all awesome.

Reviewed March 26, 2022

They explained everything totally out to us, and answered all of our questions. They were professional and friendly. They were constantly in communication with us, either through phone call, email or text. So that was really good.

Reviewed March 25, 2022

Everything's been good. But I put down 6,000 on my trailer, and then they said I had to come up with another additional 5,000 at Christmas time. So that put a damper on things because I couldn’t get my trailer until April. That was surprising from Vanderbilt because I thought everything was straight up. But they said I had to come up with more money, and I asked them why and they said it didn’t add up.

Reviewed March 24, 2022

My girlfriend did the application process with Vanderbilt for me. Then I got emails, and everything has been real good.

Reviewed March 23, 2022

They were always very nice and informative. Whenever I needed any information, they were always there, and if they didn't know, they found someone who did know. The whole process was very quick. I was able to get the house within six weeks.

Reviewed March 22, 2022

The communication was all through email mostly and some phone calls. It was pretty good and easy.

Reviewed March 18, 2022

I just got a mortgage with Vanderbilt and we liked the home loan process. It was very fast and efficient. The rep was great and kept us informed. It was very good dealing with Vanderbilt.

Reviewed March 13, 2022

Working with Vanderbilt was a good experience. It was fairly easy and everything went smoothly. The guy was patient and answered thoroughly any questions I had. He was professional.

Reviewed March 12, 2022

The process took quite a while but everything went fine.

Reviewed March 11, 2022

When they didn't answer, I left a message and they got back with me right away. They were very helpful.

Reviewed March 10, 2022

We filled the application out there and the day after, we knew we were approved. They made the process very easy and lenient. They worked with us. They were very nice people. They were very easy to work with.

Reviewed March 8, 2022

Vanderbilt is one of the only companies that will finance mobile homes and that's a plus. Their people were great and so was the communication. One rep i had was Kristen and my closer was Rachel. They were both very professional and polite. The only thing was the process was very frustrating. I jumped through a thousand hoops to get this house and it took months. Vanderbilt and the title company couldn't come to an agreement on a lot of things. A lot of that time was stalled because of the communication between the two. Part of the issue was the house’s problem. The total process took six months.

Reviewed March 7, 2022

There was a mixup about me canceling my loan. The manager of the office where I bought the home sent out an email to everybody saying I wanted to cancel my loan. She said Vanderbilt said I canceled the loan so I called Vanderbilt and asked what was going on. A lady answered the phone and she kept asking if I still wanted the loan. I asked to talk to a supervisor because I was upset. They passed me to some guy and he was sarcastic like I should know everything that was going on. I hung up and then, three days later, Brandon called me. He was real calm. I explained everything and he apologized and told me everything. He also offered to file a complaint against the local manager here for me. Brandon is the only one that I ever want to work with at Vanderbilt. He's professional and he understands.

Reviewed March 6, 2022

My communications with Vanderbilt have always been really good. They've always been very helpful, especially during repossession times.

Reviewed March 5, 2022

It was pretty easy to communicate with Vanderbilt during the loan process and the reps I worked with were very informative and helpful. The only thing was that the process took several weeks but everything else was great.

Punctuality & SpeedLoan Process

Reviewed March 4, 2022

The loan process at Vanderbilt was easy. My girlfriend handled a lot of it. But there were a couple of times when they needed to talk to me. If I didn't understand, somebody explained it. Everything with Vanderbilt was perfectly fine. They did everything they were supposed to do in a timely manner. There wasn't a red tape.

Customer ServiceLoan ProcessRates

Reviewed March 3, 2022

All the other loan companies wouldn't pay off the land before construction was done. Vanderbilt was the only lender that would cut the check for the land right away and not have to wait until they reached a certain phase of construction or the end of construction. Vanderbilt's customer service has been fine for the most part. But it was a lot of running around. They divide the information up between departments. It was a lot of call-you-back messages. Getting information was difficult but they're on top of letting you know when your bill is due. We had to eat the interest rate because Vanderbilt doesn't give a **. They have no application for credit as to your loan rate. They just tax you to make money. On top of everything and screwing you on the interest rate, their origination fee is drastically exaggerated from the market average. The average origination fee is anywhere from two to five grand. Vanderbilt's was eight.

Punctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed March 2, 2022

Working with Vanderbilt is super easy. Everything's straightforward and everyone's been nice and helpful. Everybody I've talked to has been super understanding. They have worked fast with me and worked around our weird schedules.

Reviewed March 1, 2022

Our experience with Vanderbilt was great. I had multiple representatives, and the communication between everybody we worked with was pretty spot-on. They all knew what each other was doing. It was also an easy process for us. Hopefully, other people's experience would be the same.

Reviewed Feb. 28, 2022

Marisa, the rep, was very knowledgeable, and communication during the loan process was easy. Conducting business with Vanderbilt was fairly easy as well. They called and kept me abreast of what was going on and what the next step was.

Customer ServiceTransparency

Reviewed Feb. 27, 2022

I enjoyed working with Vanderbilt and I'm glad that I chose them, because everything was smooth. They really kept me up to date with everything, and everyone was nice. I worked with Tracy and another young lady. I called plenty of times, and they made sure they gave me answers to whatever questions I had or guided me in the right direction.

Reviewed Feb. 25, 2022

Communication was easy during the process and then it was mediocre after. It would have also been nice for Vanderbilt to give me a title application, showing that they can offer the title to be transferred over to my name. That way, I can get it registered. I didn't know I needed it. They told me everything I needed was in the closing paperwork that they emailed and sent me in the mail. But none of that was. They told me they can't get it for me, but I can try to go up to the Tag office and try to get it. But my only other option is to wait until the title comes in then they'll email me a copy of the title in my name. If anybody does business with Vanderbilt though, I highly recommend Bethany. She was wonderful. Anytime I had a question, if she didn't know the answer, she would always find it and then get back to me in a timely manner.

Reviewed Feb. 24, 2022

They took care of us, and they were very nice, helpful, and walked us through everything. They were very great. Any questions we had, they were more than welcome to answer. I called them back a couple of times with questions that I had just out of the blue, and they never said, "I'll get back to you." They answered my questions right away. I would recommend them 100%. We were first-time homeowners, and it was really nice to be able to walk through.

Reviewed Feb. 23, 2022

I was new to the process and didn't know what all was going on. I had a lot of questions and Vanderbilt got an answer for them. The rep was very helpful. I asked more questions and I got the answer I needed. Some of my questions might have been dumb, but Vanderbilt reassured me that all questions matter. They helped me understand what was being said and how things worked, and led me in the direction that I needed to be with them. And everything went as smooth as it possibly could have. It might have taken a couple of weeks. But once Vanderbilt got the information, they processed it as fast and as conveniently they could.

Reviewed Feb. 15, 2022

We had to do all of the work for them. They would tell me they'd call me back on a certain day but I never heard anything. Also, I never received anything that had numbers on it. I know what my payment is and how many payments but I never got a total of what I was financing. Other than those, Vanderbilt was amazing and I would highly recommend them.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaffLoan Process

Reviewed Feb. 14, 2022

The process was quick and super easy. It went smoothly and we didn't have any troubles. Everybody was real helpful. My wife called them before and they got right back with us.

Reviewed Feb. 13, 2022

Communicating with them was very easy. The three people I dealt with throughout the process had no problem answering questions. They were very kind and courteous every time we spoke. But, selecting their sales places where they allow financing to go through would have made our process a lot more efficient and swift. Other than that, the build I got is very good. It's not your average manufactured home. They came a long way.

Reviewed Feb. 12, 2022

Vanderbilt kept in touch me. At least three different ladies called to reach out to me for anything I needed. I think you have to have a pleasant voice to work there because everyone that called me was super pleasant and super sweet, and I never felt any pressure. Everything worked out. They took my application and next thing I knew, they were calling me up to close. They also put off the loan due date a few months because the home wasn't built and hasn't showed up yet. It was a super easy process. I was expecting for it to start being difficult at some point, but it never did. It was the easiest banking experience process that I've ever had. That's buying a $100,000 home so that says a lot. I would do business with Vanderbilt again.

Reviewed Feb. 11, 2022

The experience was good, overall. They're friendly and supportive. There are things I think outside of Vanderbilt's control that I would like to have had a better experience with as far as more loan options or APR options. But I know that they're not really able to do as much.

Reviewed Feb. 10, 2022

The process with Vanderbilt was very long but I don't think it was anything on their behalf. They needed more information because it was an estate and there were multiple heirs. It was overall a good experience.

Reviewed Feb. 9, 2022

It was good with Vanderbilt. It was easy to do business with them.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaffLoan ProcessTransparency

Reviewed Feb. 8, 2022

The communication with Vanderbilt was extremely poor. I don't know if Vanderbilt was short staffed but we never knew what was going on. The sad part is that the people we bought the house from had their mortgage through Vanderbilt and it was like they didn't even know they existed. After all was said and done, they called the previous owners and asked why hadn't they made their mortgage payment. They were missing some kind of a form that was supposed to have got sent out and it got sent late.

Everything in the end worked out but instead of driving down a nice, smooth, paved road, you were off road and in some ditches to get through this process. It was a lot of not knowing what was going on. If we hadn’t already started or been about two-thirds of the way through the process, I would have gone out of my way to find another lender. We bought a few houses in our time and this was, by far, the most difficult process we've ever gone through. Also, we had to send them $10,000 for a down payment and they told us we were supposed to send that to the title company. That was quite nerve-racking.

Reviewed Feb. 4, 2022

Vanderbilt was good about contacting me rather than me having to contact them, which I enjoyed. They were constantly checking up to see where I was at in the process. A few weeks ago, a woman called me and was asking me questions about things I need to get done. Her name was Dani. I had a lot of questions 'cause this was my first time dealing with any of this and she was very helpful. She repeated herself multiple times for me because I was taking notes and trying to understand. She was very patient with me which I appreciated extremely.

Punctuality & SpeedLoan Process

Reviewed Feb. 3, 2022

It took so long to get Vanderbilt to communicate with the other parties involved and it seemed like if I wasn't the one checking to make sure everybody was doing what they were supposed to be doing, it wasn't getting done. It was really a horrible process and it took forever. I had to lose my temper more than a couple times and no one really seemed to care. I started the process in September and they just moved in a week ago. Everyone was pointing a finger and we could have knocked off a month or two easily if people would have acted like they gave a damn. I'm self-employed, so I understand that it took an extra month to get everything going. But I never would have gone to them had I known it would have been such a freaking odyssey trying to get it all done. I'm totally disappointed with it and I wouldn't use any of them.

Reviewed Feb. 2, 2022

The reps were nice. They gave us everything that we needed and told us beforehand of what was going on.