Vanderbilt Mortgage

Author picture
Written by
Author picture
Edited by

What do you prioritize most?

About Vanderbilt Mortgage

Vanderbilt Mortgage and Finance (NMLS #1561) is a national housing lender that operates under the umbrella of Berkshire Hathaway. It specializes in financing both new and used manufactured, mobile and modular homes. Vanderbilt also finances improvements for these types of homes, including energy-efficient upgrades.

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • Direct lending for used home purchases
    • Accommodates borrowers with lower credit scores
    • Numerous payment options
    • Home improvement loans with zero down
    Cons
    • No home equity loans or HELOCs
    • No in-person branches

Vanderbilt Mortgage Reviews

Stars Rating

• 74%
    • 15%
    • 5%
    • 1%
    • 5%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanderbilt Mortgage?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanderbilt Mortgage?
      Loan Process

Reviewed Oct. 18, 2013

There is 15,000 dollars of damage done to my home by 3 teens. I owe a little over 3,000 dollars to pay off my home. My insurance company, Assurant (very nice and friendly), mailed the check to Vanderbilt (not nice or friendly and they lie) so they can sign it and mail it to me so I can start repairing my home. Well, Vanderbilt said that they were not going to sign the check until I sign it first because I'm still making payments on my home. I ask Vanderbilt if I pay off my loan if they would sign the check over to me and they said no, because it would take time to even get my title and that they would still have to process the check because their name is also on it.

It would be so much easier if I didn't have to go through them. Just sounds so time consuming and what if I didn't do something right, would I have to pay out of pocket? I would have to be worried about sending pic and receipts. Something about this just does not feel right. They should just be happy for me to pay my loan off so they wouldn't have to monitor everything. Even if it does take time to get the title, they will still have my information on file. This really makes me feel skeptical but I guess I don't have a choice.

Reviewed Oct. 7, 2013

In August, I called and asked about a Modification due to my circumstances, and I was paid to date but knew I might have a problem in September. They took all my info and denied me. I did not make the due date payment. On September 10, 2013. When I do not make a payment on the due date, I should not be getting irate calls from their reps talking stupid about when I am going to pay them. If I am paying on the 30th day of same month of due date, they need to get a grip and not be threatening me from the 10th thru the 29th of the month after I have told them of my situation when I loss 3,000.00 monthly of my income, and especially if I never missed a payment in 6 years with a balance of 5,000.00 left on mortgage. I'm a disabled vet with PTSD! The last thing I need is to go off on these people!

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaffLoan Process

Reviewed Aug. 17, 2013

I purchased a home with Vanderbilt last year July, and I was late a couple of times due to financial problems and the co-signer didn't move it, like he was supposed to. I was left with the mortgage, and when I asked for a modification loan because I am on a fixed income, and they said no. They were rude and nasty, and said no. So they told me to be out by the 28th of June 2013. I would not recommend anyone to get a loan with them.

Reviewed Aug. 7, 2013

My boyfriend bought a home through them and got behind a bunch of times. I just ran my credit score and saw that the account has been sent to collections 17 times and it's on my credit report! How can they submit an account to collections that my name is nowhere on the deed/title/mortgage???? He has since paid it off, received the title with his name as sole owner...yet, my credit is ruined!

StaffRates

Reviewed Aug. 6, 2013

I would advise anyone that may consider financing a home with Vanderbilt Mortgage to read and make sure that they understand the loan they are going to apply for as the salespeople are very eager to hurry you up and get you in your "new home" and in debt for years with the highest interest they can stick you with and forbid any situation come up that you cannot make your payment. They are the meanest bank I have ever had to deal with as they talk to you like you are not even a person with feelings. I suggest you look for another way to buy a home unless you are certain life's not gonna throw you any curve balls.

Customer Service

Reviewed Aug. 2, 2013

Back in January of 2007 I became permanently disabled from a fall. I paid on the new 2001 14x64 trailer until June of 2009 when my life savings ran out. I was still waiting my disability to start but it took 2 years and 7 months. I called Vanderbilt Mortgage because I ran out of money. Their manager told that a voluntary foreclosure is better than a forced foreclosure. So I sent the trailer keys back to them after I moved out of the trailer. They sold the trailer for $8000 within a couple of months.

Yesterday, I checked my credit scores and Vanderbilt Mortgage said on it I owe $14,449 on the remaining balance of the trailer. I got a letter from Vanderbilt Mortgage few months ago saying that I owe $15,908.62 and they ask me to start making payments. I started making $35 payments to them in July of 2013. I called them about the differences that I found and they said it was missed payments. The current balance is the current balance - no ifs and/or buts!!! All three credit bureaus says that I owe Vanderbilt Mortgage and Finance is $14,449 and not a penny more!!!

Reviewed Aug. 1, 2013

Because of the recession my husband and I lost good paying jobs. We have struggled with making our mortgage payments but have been making them. I have been dealing with one of the meanest and rudest people that I have ever had the misfortune to talk to. I informed them Friday of last week that I had put in to take a loan out against my 401K to help catch up the and today the called wanted to know if I made that payment. I get calls almost on a daily basis. After all the complaints against these people I am really surprised there hasn't been a class action suit filed. If I get the opportunity to move my mortgage to somebody else I will.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Received news that I had been approved for a loan through Vanderbilt Mortgage Company to purchase a $82,000 Clayton Home. After deciding to not follow through with the deal, a week later, I received a notification through the mail that stated "at this time, we cannot extend to you the line of credit." LOL I am so thankful that I did not follow through with the deal after reading so many negative comments from others. THANKS!

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Whatever you do please do not buy a home from Vanderbilt Mortgage. Their interest rates are as high as the law allows and you will get "Shafted". I bought a home from them in 2007 which was new - the cost was $70,000 which required a $10,000 down payment due to my credit history. The home was beautiful and I never had any problems until after 6 years, the HVAC stopped working... They said my warranty ran out about 5 months later. I was paying $1,000 per month for the house and lot rent ($215.00). After 7 years, I keep getting farther behind in my financial situation which I missed a few payments but sent them next day telegram... After 7 years, I had only reduced my debt down to $54,000. I paid $49,000 interest by the end of the 7th year...

They were the most rude, ignorant, unprofessional people that I have ever had to deal with. I don't know how they sleep at night... I am a firm believer that what you dish out will return back to you full fold. I have seen it happen... I think they are a bunch of uneducated idiots. Please do not buy from them. My home went into foreclosure and they just sold it for $40,000. Again, they will probably after all is done make about $150,000 off a home that is worth $70,000.

Customer ServiceStaffTransparency

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I have been a customer with Vanderbilt Mortgage for 15 years. I always kept my payments up to date until I lost my job in 2010. I have not been able to find another job as of now. My husband is the only person working. I have been behind on my payments off and on for the past year or so. It is very hard with only 1 income. I get calls 6-7 times a day from Vanderbilt. These are the most rude and impolite people I have ever dealt with. I have tried several times to explain my situation, but they will not listen. They talk to me like I am trash. I sometimes have to pay half a payment one payday and the other 1/2 the second payday, as my husband gets paid every 2 weeks. I have been humiliated on more than one occasion. These people are threatening, rude, and they could care less about their customers.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I mailed a payment overnight with a money order to make a payment. Next thing I know, we got a call from Vanderbilt Mortgage Co. saying that I was 2 months behind. So "RUDE" AND VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. "SO AGGRESSIVE". I was treated like I was delinquent for several months. I did advise them that I sent a payment overnight, but instead of talking, they were using a LOUD TONE OF VOICE and don't want to listen. Next thing I know, the same office calls my son's work and the person that was talking to my son was so AGGRESSIVE and RUDE. He was being listened to by my son's BOSS!! How ridiculous is the scene that this so-called "LOAN OFFICERS " do when they call their customers. Their skills show a lack of professionalism and they should train them better.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We bought a repossession from them in 2011 and were told by the man at Clayton that our payment would go down around $300 a month after we paid on it a few months. It has been well over a year and our payment is still $848 on a used mobile home - It is ridiculous not to mention they are the rudest people I have ever dealt with. They are heartless. They lied to get us to get the home and refuse to help when we get behind.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

They were very rude on the phone. I was told by one man that I could pay late and then told by another that he didn't have authority to say that. I am paying late due to previous stroke issues and recent surgery and forced retirement because of these medical problems. The phone calls upset me so much my BP goes to the roof with these people. It's not healthy for me to even accept phone calls from them. I have requested help and have given fin. info but they keep requesting again and again. Ridiculous repeats!! I am forced by circumstances to pay one payment behind three days into the next - no choice. Do I need legal assist?? I hope they understand.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Vanderbilt Mortgage financed a Mobile Home for my Daughter; she didn't even have a job. They never checked that. She had some cash that was left to her and that's all they wanted. The home was a 2004 model but they sold a 1998 heat and air unit instead of a 2004 and there is nothing we can do but keep fixing the unit. I would never finance through them and advise anyone else to consider another company. They won't do anything to help you with problems.

Punctuality & SpeedRates

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I have been trying to get a home modification and trying to get interest rate lowered. They refuse to help in any way. All payments have been on time and they refuse to help!

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I foolishly trusted the company Luv Homes in Tyler, TX in March 2000. The salesman assured me about how solid the company was and how they take care of you when you're in need of help and info. The Insurance was 100% good guarantee, so he said... Well, minor repairs had to be done and the repairman usually came late and had me on a few times sign the work order he forgot this and that. Every time the problem wasn't fixed, I would call until someone would come out. One day, I got a good honest man. He went under the home and told us the house was older than they quoted us and it was dry rotted materials. They informed me about me signing. I learned to live with that.

The salesman told me my house payment would be $575, a lie. It was $760… year later, $815. Escrow, taxes were the reasons they claimed. I paid my own taxes. Insurance had me locked into them. I tried on a number of times obtain my own insurance. Now years later, ups and down in life, many threats by them with my payments. I had a kitchen fire. How come they talked to me like a dog and made me stay in the half burned home? The policy they advised me to get now didn't pay for hotel and it was an act from congress to cut the few checks they did. My contractor quit... complaint no payment... I'm calling, begging them to help me. I had 2 little children with asthma; smoke smell no problem to them. I needed rewire, new unit for heat and air and all appliances. It burned all those.

The company they sent out advised me to leave. It wasn't safe. Where was I to go? I found a man to do some patch up work after first contractor never came back. Vanderbilt wouldn't cut, finish off on home repairs and told me to file suit on contractors. I did. So almost year and half later, it happened my house burned down and I lost everything. The ** treated me like a piece of **. They again would not pay for hotel. Salvation Army was my hero. I was supposed to have had Good Insurance. I had 30 grand worth contents and they paid 14 grand. They told me I needed to continue to pay my house notes. No home, living where I could with 2 kids and a dog. One of the sales people told me she didn't care where I go, just give them their money.

Eleven and a half years, almost $800 a month. They claimed I owed them 57 grand. I was crying at work one day and a lady told me to call FEMA. They helped me with their words and knowledge on calling state insurance company. They made Vanderbilt cut another check. My house was paid off, their name and mine on check. Insurance and finance company together they get away with scams on people. I just wanted what was fair and not a handout. I paid insurance 11 and 1/2 years. Now today, they say I owe them $3,000 from my down payment? If there is someone out there starting a class suit against these crooks, please help me. If I don't get but a dollar and a tictac, I will be okay, just to have justice on this company. Where are the owners? Do they have hearts? They hire these people that have no hearts.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I just got a call from a Vanderbilt rep. This is the first time in 5 years I have been late on a payment. I was not late when I was helping with my granddaughter with cancer, when my husband had a quadruple heart bypass, or when I came up with some weird problem with my blood. But when my husband had his foot amputated and had to go into rehab and then I ended up in the hospital, I had no choice…She, the rep, was rude from the start. She demanded details. When I tried to assure her she would have the money within the month, her response was that is not good enough. I explained it would have to be. She is sending me a bill in the mail…not that she wanted to. Well, either she will accept payment or she won't...I don't much care at this point!

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed May 11, 2013

When I thought about buying a new home 8 yrs. ago, I went to Clayton Homes and found what I thought would be my dream home. I was told, "Your credit is not great but good, and your payment should be no more than $550 month." I can handle that. Boy, was I wrong! It is up to $820 now. I did okay making payments within at least the first 5 days but work got slow about 4 yrs. ago and it was rough trying to make it with 24 to 32-hour week.

I called and talked with them; everything seemed fine. Then it started - phone calls, many times a day, "When are you making payment?" Oh yeah, they said the same things to me as I have read here: borrow it, sell your things, do what you need to do. And when my dad passed 2 yrs. ago and I was trying to take care of that and travel to where he lived, they had no heart, not even, "I am sorry for your loss, when are you making a payment?" I wish I could refinance and get away from them but being late on payment it probably won't happen. This is very rude for a so-called business.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Wow, until today, I thought I was the only one that felt this way about Vanderbilt Mortgage. I have had the opportunity to deal with them a few times and they are the most rude and hateful staff of customer service people I have ever dealt with. They talk to you like you are 5 years old and have no sense and belittle you and try and make you feel really worthless and irresponsible. I am really surprised that they are able to conduct business like this because no matter what situation we are going through and why, we are still customers of Vanderbilt Mortgage and they should talk to us and treat us with the same respect that they would expect if they were the customer. Whoever is in charge at the top needs to take a good, long look at their operation. I would definitely not recommend this company to anyone, even my worst enemy!

Customer ServiceTransparency

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I am still having trouble with Vanderbilt bank. I have the whole balance paid off. I had the money shipped overnight by FedEx from 21 Feb 2013. They received it on 22 Feb 2013. I received the title and other paperwork by 18 Mar 2013. I was instructed to go to the DMV in order to get the lien taken off. This I did. Vanderbilt still owes me $134.31 from the escrow account. This they have not done. I hope that you enjoy the explanation as to why they will not send me the $134.31 as I did. They also owe overpayment. I told them that the payment would be there in 10 days. I was given a quote. I paid that quote but they received the money before 10 days. They need to pay me back the overpayment amount.

I would also like to add on an old complaint. Vanderbilt bank, as of to this date, still has not answered my question. I was told that in order for me to make an extra payment, I had to send in a special coupon to a different address. I did this and did everything I was told to do in order to make an extra payment. Instead, it was used as an actual payment and the regular payment was not drafted out. This was done every time I tried to make an extra payment and I had to call them every time to get it fixed. The question is why? I did as I was told. Also, why did the customer service personnel and their supervisors lie to me all the time? When I asked them as to why the extra payment was not used as an extra payment and why my normal payment was not drafted, I was told it was because it was too close to the draft date and it cancelled it out. They have tried every trick in the book to try and discourage me from making extra payments. The question is why?

Online & AppRates

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I purchased a single wide Clayton home with Vanderbilt Mortgage when my husband left me. I have a daughter and paid the mortgage bi-weekly of $212.00 for ten years now. I called Vanderbilt to tell them I wanted to pay off the mortgage (so that they will stop drafting from the checking account). Their website is down and can't get the payoff loan amount now. I don't want to be charged for the interest because they don't have their website up. Vanderbilt Mortgage sucks.

Punctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I bought a repoed home back in July of 2012. They were great all the way with everything. Then the fun began. They had a company out of another city do all the make-pretty work on the house. There were small problems that crept up but nothing big until my bathroom floors started to get weak. The problem got worse until I got someone in to look at it. Well, it turned out that while putting in new floor coverings, they took up the toilets to do a good job. Well, that’s where the good job ended. They put the toilets back down with no wax rings! Well it took a couple months to really feel the floors going. I had someone in and they put the wax rings in as well as gave me an estimate on the repairs. I contacted VMF and was not all that politely told that this was not their problem. Ok so it has been 6 months, but the repairman said it could have taken months for enough water to leak into the wood to cause this much trouble. I have never been late with a payment, or given them one day’s grief. I would have thought that maybe they might want to help. Shame. Shame. Shame.

Reviewed Feb. 23, 2013

After following my service member to another duty station, I had to leave my job. The economy was slowing down then and I was trying to recover from not finding work prior to the last assignment. We were trying to make payments on a tight budget. We called and asked for a "refi" and it was granted, but shortly afterward (we were late for a little over 10 days), the calls started; the harassing and the mail. We borrowed from everyone and called and explained; unfortunately, that wasn't good enough. We were told to try and find a job to help make ends meet. A representative came to new military home address bearing a form to sign over the property. Our response was, "No".

That's when it got worse. The telephone calls were coming in everyday, at least five times a day on the home phone and cell. I was told I had to get my service member to call back, or else. Sometimes I would pick up the phone to get the ringing to stop. I had asked for help again and just as before, the answer was "no". The calls and the letters continued. The most humiliating of all was having someone call and try to psycho-analyze why you are not paying your bills and try to play budgeter at the same time, saying "The military gives you this a month, why can't you pay your bills?" First of all, this person cannot compare a military person's life to theirs if they have not experienced the same thing. Anyways, after all the insults and negative tearing down, my mind went into shut down. We just feel that this is bull crap.

How can they honestly say that we didn't want to keep our home when the economy was good and the payments were being made? I really don't think that these people are caring enough, and are a bunch of greedy and heartless thugs. This post is not to boost the power the collections rep "Kristin" has, but to enlighten her that until she knows what is actually occurring in a person's household, don't assume jack! This company should be dealt with aggressively, and all loans reviewed.

Reviewed Feb. 17, 2013

My mother purchased a trailer using Vanderbilt Mortgage. She, unfortunately, passed away on Sept. 25, 2012. My mom did not have an estate or any funds at her death. Vanderbilt did not follow proper foreclosure procedure and took it upon themselves without papers to come and change the locks on the trailer and put a padlock on the door. I contacted Vanderbilt and asked to see the documentation that they had from the court for foreclosure and if they did not have them to come and remove the lock from the door. After two days, they came back out and removed the lock. The trailer is located in NC and I live in Kentucky. I did not co-sign for the mortgage but, on 2/14/2013, the sheriff showed up at my mom's trailer to serve papers. They are trying to sue me for what is owed on the trailer.

Reviewed Feb. 2, 2013

I bought my trailer when I was 27 and a single mother. I really thought I was doing something good for my children but, let me tell you, Vanderbilt doesn't care at all what your situation is, they just want their money. You make a partial payment and that's not good enough. They can and threaten to foreclose on your home. If your payment isn't in their office, in my case, on the 1st of each month, they are calling. Everyone you talk to at Vanderbilt is rude. They talk down to you, making you feel worthless. If I only knew what I was getting myself into. I have had my trailer on the market now for two years and can't sell because I owe too much. I have never felt so stuck. It's sad to think that what I was doing something good for my children, now feels like such a burden. It would be nice to see this company put in its place and taught that they can't treat people the way they do.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedLoan Process

Reviewed Jan. 25, 2013

In 2002, I got a loan with Vanderbilt Mortgage. I was late sometimes. As a single mom, I did my best to pay my bills. They were extremely rude when only a few days late. When I moved out after paying on the 7-year loan for 4.5 years, I was told that they would try to sell my home for what I owed and that all I had to do was sign it over to them. Since I was moving to another city, I thought that this was the best course of action. They were unable to do this and I ended up owning them $3,000. About 4 years ago, I settled the loan. They were supposed to report this on my credit. My credit still reads that it is under possession. Vanderbilt has left an awful taste in my mouth that just will not go away.

Customer ServiceStaffLoan ProcessRates

Reviewed Jan. 23, 2013

I must agree that the employees at Vanderbilt are the rudest and most heartless individuals I have ever had to deal with. I live on Long Island, New York, and in the midst of super storm Sandy, they could not have cared less. I was promised that they would hold up any legal action until the end of December. I no sooner was told that when I received a letter from their legal department stating that they were going to foreclose on my home.

Here we were, a community with downed phone lines, down trees, no communication because of cell phone tower damage, flooded streets and neighborhoods, and no job to go to because of flooded out buildings. Vanderbilt Mortgage not only denied me an extension, they told me that it was my fault that I let my loan get behind. They should not even be in the business of dealing with the public. They are full of lies and don’t care about anything but the almighty dollar. I have asked over and over if they would reduce my rate, and they laugh and tell me that is out of the question. I am stuck with a high rate, and they just see dollar signs. Shame on them!

Reviewed Jan. 14, 2013

Vanderbilt really doesn't care if you make your payments, need help or even information. As of last year, we've tried to get help in refinancing. All they want to tell us is "Due to economic times being hard, we can't help" - after we were told when we signed papers that after 2 or 3 years we could refinance. Well that was a crock. We started out with a $500 payment. By the time they waited until Christmas was over in 2009, our payment went to over $700. What a joke. We fell into the trap thinking they were going to help us. Very angry and disappointed in the way they do people. The government should check them and step like everything else they do and see. What can be done about telling the buyer **?

Reviewed Jan. 10, 2013

Every employee there is rude! They told me I need to make my mother aware that if I have to be 15 days late on my payment, she needs to pay it out of her Disability/SSI check. My mother co-signed 2 years ago before she became 100% fully disabled. After they harassed me, they called and harassed her. She told me she was having chest pains and was a nervous wreck from the things they were saying to her on the phone. This upsets me so bad that they call her right after talking to me. I could understand if they couldn't reach me and I was several months behind. I think they get bonuses for when they hit a certain number of "customers harassed." They are a ** company. This is, by far, one of my worst mistakes!

Reviewed Jan. 9, 2013

These people at Vanderbilt are savages! They have no remorse at all for anyone - no matter what the circumstance. I have been working in customer service for 10 years and would never, ever talk to my customers the way they have talked to me. Everyone is going through rough times. This economy is horrible. My husband got laid off and I was the only one working. We have two young children! We fell two months behind on our mortgage and I called to pay once we got our money together. They made me feel like a criminal to call and make a payment! Questioning me, making me feel like a dog - all because I wanted to make a payment! They were asking me questions that they had no business asking (personal questions) and were way out of line!

I was calling to make a payment and spent 30 minutes on the phone, while the man Justin was trying to lecture me! I asked for his manager Max and he was worse! I asked for his supervisor and he would not allow me to talk to him! I have never in 20 years dealt with any company that is allowed to talk to their customers the way that they do! I think we need to start a class action suit and soon! Please let me know if you are interested! This has got to stop now!

Reviewed Dec. 28, 2012

In March of 2012, my husband and I moved into a dream home that was owned by his cousin and her husband but financed through Vanderbilt Mortgage. We had been in the home for approximately three weeks when we found out the loan was in arrears for two months. Vanderbilt Mortgage contacted us about making arrangements to catch up the payments. Payment arrangements were made and I was working 12 hours a day. My husband also picked up extra work to make up payments that wasn't even ours to make. Apparently, that wasn't good enough for them. Before the payment was even due, they were calling not only me but our neighbors and family members and discussing things with them.

After more than one conversation with them about this, they are still doing it. They are the rudest, most inconsiderate, most ungrateful things (I won't even call them people). They called my husband's cousin and told her we are 60 days behind on payments when I have every receipt for every payment that has been made this year including the arrears. At one point, we were making two payments per month in the amount of $675. Year to date, we have paid $4,890.39 in interest and only $1,103 on the balance! Our monthly payments are $139.05 principal + $438.64 interest + $85.82 escrow = $663.51, but we have been paying $675. If anyone reads this comment, the only thing that I can say is please find somewhere else to finance through. If you don't, you will regret it for the entire time you are involved with them.

Reviewed Nov. 24, 2012

My husband & I bought our first home from Clayton Homes and financed through Vanderbilt Mortgage (Maryville, TN). We thought it was going to be the best thing to own our own home. I wished I had never seen this place. We have fallen on hard times a couple of times for different reasons. So we have gotten behind on some payments before. I would answer their calls at first but after talking with them, I would be so upset that I couldn't do anything else. They are the meanest and rudest people I have ever seen in my life. They threaten to take our home, told me to have a yard sale and sell our furniture and belongings, and told me to borrow money from anyone. They don't care what you are going through - they just want their money. I believe to work for Vanderbilt Mortgage, you are required to have no heart or compassion for anyone or anything. They have called my home phone and cell phone about 6 times in one day. If anyone is filing a class action suit against them, please let me know - I'll sign up.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaffRates

Reviewed Oct. 23, 2012

I purchased my home in 1999. I had a different finance company before Vanderbilt took over. I was notified by mail, but was not given a choice or wasn't aware of the outrageous interest rate. I have been late with a payment in the past, but have not been late in over a year now. My payment is $285.98/month. When I received my statement this month, I had paid $27.94 on my payment and the rest went to interest. This is outrageous! The rate is 80%, sometimes more.

When I was late in the past, even 1 day late, a woman named Melissa would call and she would be really rude and hateful. I told her I would have the money on Friday after I got my paycheck, and she went on to almost demand that I borrow the money off someone. She asked what I paid for my vehicle, my light bill, my phone bill, my groceries, etc. She also asked a lot of personal questions, none of which were any of her business. She was very disrespectful and rude. Another time, a man (don't remember his name) called and proceeded to actually use profanity to me and was acting like he was either high or drunk. They would call at least 3 times per day, sometimes late in the evening. I have actually had thoughts of letting them repossess my home. That would be a lot better than having to deal with these idiots. I want everyone to know how rude and disrespectful everyone at this company is. Please, people, do not finance through this company.

Reviewed Oct. 20, 2012

Vanderbilt Mortgage has the most ruthless and the nastiest people (Loan Officers/Collection Reps) working for them. At first their threats used to bother me, but not anymore. I laugh at them. I strongly believe that all of us complainants should file a class action lawsuit. This company is ripping off honest, hardworking people and it's a disgrace to us as Americans. Why can't we live in our own country free from such thugs a.k.a. Vanderbilt Mortgage? I say - class action!

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaffLoan Process

Reviewed Oct. 14, 2012

OMG! I thought I was the only one that got these nasty calls from Vanderbilt Mortgage! I hate that it is happening to everyone. I have never been more than 15 days late on my payment due to the fact that I only get paid once a month and it happens to fall on the 15th of the month. I have explained this to numerous members of the Vanderbilt collections team, and all they have to say is "you either need to borrow the money or plan your payments better". My husband is in construction, and we all know how unpredictable that industry is right now. We've had our home since 2005. When we bought our home, it took us 4 months to finally get in the home. When we finally did, my husband had to finish the dry wall in it due to the dealer did such a crappy job on it.

We actually had to contact Clayton homes and filed a complaint against the dealer that sold us the home due to so many issues with the home. But Vanderbilt is such a nasty company to deal with. I would love to get the home refinanced with another lender, but it is next to impossible to do. I would love to see someone do something about this company being so nasty to their customers. I could understand some directness if we were 5 or 6 payments behind and had no way of paying our mortgage, but being no more than 10-15 days late due to our paydays falling the way they do is pure crazy, and they knew this at the time of purchase and wouldn't change our due date! Well, the ball is in their court and they choose to play dirty.

Reviewed Oct. 11, 2012

Slow payments: These people are ruthless - Nicki, Kristen and Phillip calling 4 times a day. I have faxed over the copies of payments. They don't care if you're struggling. I had a stroke and was in the hospital. They don't care. "Pawn something," they said. My mother is 67 years old and suffers from dementia. They have threatened to throw her out in the streets. I'm sick of them. Rather you're late or on time, they harass you nonstop! I have asked them several times to do a loan modification. Their response was "We don't do that."

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedLoan Process

Reviewed Aug. 14, 2012

I am 12 days late on my loan payment - 12 days late! I called Vanderbilt to notify them that my payment will be there on Friday. They began to talk to me like a child for my payment being 12 days late. My payment is due on the first - it’s late any day after the first but there are no late fees. As of the 10th of each month, my account goes into collections. As of the 15th of each month, they call your references to tell them you are late and they never once leave a voicemail with you for the same. Can you believe this? I am actually making payments and I get talked to like ** for just calling to give a promise-to-pay date.

Reviewed Aug. 3, 2012

I have a complaint against Vanderbilt Bank. I have the payments drafted biweekly. I receive a statement every month. With that statement comes a coupon where I can send in an extra payment. On this coupon, it says "Your account will automatically draft as agreed. Please use this form to make an additional payment by mail if desired." I used this form to make an additional payment. They used this additional payment as a customer payment instead of an additional payment and did not draft out the normal payment. When I asked about this, customer service said that it had to be more or less than the actual payment for the coupon to work. This was done on the 20th of November 2009. The second time I used it, the same thing happened, only I put in over double the amount of the drafted payment. This time, I was told by customer service that it had to be under the amount of the drafted payment. This was done on the 24th of December 2009.

When I asked them to fix it, they said it was too late and could not fix it. So, I tried again being under the amount of the drafted payment. I was $4.89 shy of the drafted payment to make sure that it was not used as a customer payment. Vanderbilt still used it as a customer payment and did not take out the drafted payment as they were supposed to. They added on negative $4.98 to make it work. This was on the 27th of December 2010.

When I asked about what happened, customer service got me in contact with the accountant. I asked the accountant what happened, and she asked me if I had put "for PBO only" on the check. I said no because it had said that the coupon took care of that. She laughed at me and told me to put PBO on the check. I asked her to correct this problem. This is how she corrected it. She took the next draft payment, took it off, and used it all for the principal balance. She however did not draft out the payment to replace it. This left me short two payments. She did not remove the negative $4.98 as I had asked. This raised up the amount of interest that I owed. It also took away from my escrow, making it where there would not be enough to pay the insurance.

I asked how I could make extra payments. I was told that I had to go online and get a special coupon, print it out, and use it to make extra payments. The side effect of the extra payments was that it messed up the schedule of the drafted payments. The payments were every two weeks on a Wednesday. Then it changed to Thursday, then it changed to Friday. I never knew when the next draft would take place.

I got mad and went to the BBB. I made my case, and BBB accepted my case and contacted Vanderbilt. That got their attention. All of the things that customer service said that could not be fixed was fixed. I used the new coupons with no trouble until the 22nd of June 2012. They did it again. They used the extra payment as a customer payment and did not draft out the regular payment as they were supposed to. When I asked why, I was told because it was too close to the draft date and it cancelled out the draft. The funny thing is that the first draft was taken out on the 20th of June 2012 and they received my extra payment on the 22nd of June 2012. It does not matter what date the extra payment is posted or when the next draft payment is due; this should not happen.

When I asked customer service to correct this, she suggested that I use a phone check. The phone check has a $10.00 fee attached to it. I told her no. When I told her that I was going to call her manager, she found a way to fix the problem fast. If I cannot use the coupon sent to me every month and I cannot use the coupon from online, then how can I make extra payments? I was also sent an amortization. I cannot pay off the interest either by regular payment or by extra payments. I will even pay interest on my last payment. Is this legal? I was told by a customer service member that there was no magic way for me to make extra payments. I have tried BBB, CCA, HUD, and other organizations, but to no avail. Vanderbilt will not respond to them or to me.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

I'm so sorry for everyone who has posted complaints with this company but it is good to know that "we" are not the only ones to be harassed by this company. My husband & I purchased our doublewide through Chase in 2004. Shortly after our purchase, Vanderbilt took over our loan. Omg! That's when our hellish nightmare with this company began! At times, we might be a couple of weeks behind on our payment and the constant phone calls began. They will call you everyday and sometimes more than one time a day. No matter what your reason for being late is, it isn't good enough! We got several months behind like a couple of years ago when my husband was laid off from his job for like a year.

Everyday the calls would come, the constant harassment, talking to you like you were an animal, like you had no feelings! My husband went back to work a year later, worked about 6 months and was laid off again right at Christmas time. Do you think they care if your children receive Christmas gifts? No, they do not! Like others, we've been told to borrow the money. What kind of financial advice is that when you can't make the payment with them? Really! My husband & I have been told by them that we do not care about our family, that if we did, we'd make our house payment.

They've sent a guy out to our home several times to take pics & be sure that we are not abusing the home. He has always complimented on how nice our place is. We've been sent certified letters saying send a certain amount by a certain time & we always have. I admit that we feel like ** parents that we get behind but we don't need our mortgage company to tell us how sorry we are. We have been on time before and they still call and drive you crazy saying, like "just wanted to be sure you're sending your payment in." So, it doesn't really matter if you're on time or behind, you are going to hear from your Vanderbilt Harassment Team everyday!

I really feel sorry for those heartless people! I could not work for a company that trains their employees to behave this way to people. No matter what a person's situation is, it does not give another person the right to behave the way they do. My husband & I have both accumulated a lot of medical bills over the last year. I am 42 & have been diagnosed with diastolic heart failure. My blood pressure has been so high from all this stress. They have a screw you attitude. As long as they receive their money, that's all that matters.

We sent them in like half of a payment because we couldn't send the full amount and they sent it back to us yesterday. When my husband called & inquired about it, they directed his call to Legal Services. No one in Legal Services answered so we've been really worried & concerned about what this means. All I can say is that God has never let us down & He will take care of us! Each of you who've posted are in my prayers.

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed July 25, 2012

I bought a repossessed trailer in 2005 and made all payments on time (via monthly draft). This month in July 2012, my check got cut short out of the blue from the military. I called them and told them the situation and they told me that I should have planned for an event like this and that it was my fault for buying a mobile home I could not afford. They even got into my personal business and asked where all the money went and that if I could not respect to pay Vanderbilt first, then they should not have to work with me. I was told that if I do not make the payment as agreed by my contract, they would start foreclosure on July 31, 2012. I explained that I would be able to make 2 payments on the 1st of August 2012. They told me to go pawn something because they would not take payment on the 1st of August 2012.

It seems to me that Vanderbilt Mortgage company is taking advantage of people when they fall on hard times, no matter who they are. They make a lot of money this way, but it is legal. I will be talking to JAG tomorrow!