4.5/5 (153 ratings)

Lock in your rate

Rates are expected to jump after the next Fed meeting

About Vanderbilt Mortgage

Vanderbilt Mortgage and Finance (NMLS #1561) is a national housing lender that operates under the umbrella of Berkshire Hathaway. It specializes in financing both new and used manufactured, mobile and modular homes. Vanderbilt also finances improvements for these types of homes, including energy-efficient upgrades.

Pros

• Direct lending for used home purchases
  • Accommodates borrowers with lower credit scores
  • Numerous payment options
  • Home improvement loans with zero down

Cons

• No home equity loans or HELOCs
  • No in-person branches

Bottom Line

Vanderbilt Mortgage is a national lender helping people finance the purchase of new and used manufactured, mobile and modular homes. It works with all types of borrowers, including those without great credit. A loan specialist helps walk you through the application.

Vanderbilt Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanderbilt Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanderbilt Mortgage?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

They were the first company that gave me and my husband a chance and they handled our entire loan with utmost respect and courtesy. They were fast and sufficient. My rep Seth constantly kept in touch about our loan and answered every question I had. He was able to get us approved for an multi mobile home for $164.450.00. Now we are working with Clayton home to pick out me and the husband dream home. I would recommended Vanderbilt Mortgage.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

Vanderbilt's rep was very nice, but her communication skills wasn't well. She emailed us when we emailed her. But as a first time homebuyer, I wanted to speak to somebody in real life, not just through email. Every time I would call her to ask her a question, she would never be there. So I never got to spoke to her unless it was the first time, and once or twice in the middle, and towards the end, but that was about it. We had one misunderstanding about the numbers and it created a whole ordeal. And we almost backed out, but we got it figured out. It delayed it at least a month. It was quick, but it was stressful at the same time.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

With the communication that we've had with Vanderbilt, we haven't had any issues. There wasn't any confusion or any miscommunications. Everything was done via email or through the portal. Everything was pretty well taken care of.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

The mortgage process at Vanderbilt was the simplest of all the others that I checked out and the best deal as far as interest and APR. I just did it over the internet. I also liked their terms. The interest rate was a little bit higher than I expected, but not too bad, considering that I'm rebuilding my credit.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

Everybody at Vanderbilt that we talked to was very friendly and helpful. They did the best they could to help me.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

They were really good. They explained a lot of things and answered calls when we had questions. The rep we worked with was really helpful. If she needed something, we got back to her quickly. She kept us in the loop about everything.

Original review: July 31, 2022

It wasn't a good experience with Vanderbilt. It would have been a lot better if they would have kept in contact. I've only heard from them two times throughout the whole time. We were supposed to close on the 11th. The last time I heard from him was on the 1st of that month. I drive a truck. I had to schedule time off around the 11th. I got the week off for the 11th. The 11th came, but I didn't hear a word from him. I had my Realtor get ahold of him. We ended up closing last month on the 16th. I still haven't heard a word from him.

Original review: July 30, 2022

Vanderbilt helped us make it easy for our first home purchase. The process was simple. Zach helped us out and it went by quickly. He asked us all the information we needed right at the beginning. We were able to collect that for him and give it to them. After that, it took a month to make sure that the paperwork was done correctly. We were closing before you knew it. I'm pleased. Zach was very clear and concise. He communicated with us a lot. He was calling us when he needed something or making sure that if we needed anything, we called him. When we called, he answered his phone, which is a big deal.

Original review: July 29, 2022

It was very easy to communicate with Vanderbilt during the loan process. It was slow going, but it was around tax time. I had a problem getting some information I needed for them. On their end, they were good.

Original review: July 17, 2022

We went through two reps. The first one was not good at all. We could never get a hold of her. We were told we would have a closing date as quickly as possible and we worked with them for almost four months to try to get closing. The response time from the loan specialists could be improved. The process was almost five months when we were told it would be 90 days. Other than that, it's great.

Original review: July 15, 2022

Everything was great with our experience with Vanderbilt. They stayed in touch with us.

Original review: July 14, 2022

We were happy with the process at Vanderbilt. We didn't have any problems working with them.

Original review: July 6, 2022

The loan process was very smooth. We did everything through the internet and there were no issues. I worked with Seth and he was very committed to stepping up with everything.

Original review: July 5, 2022

The Vanderbilt experience was great. The application process was quick and easy, although I would have liked it if there was an option to be able to refinance. Other than that, the rep we worked with, Danielle, was so sweet. Working with Vanderbilt made my life a lot easier.

Original review: July 4, 2022

Give Vanderbilt a call. The process was a little time-consuming but communicating with them seems very easy. I had a good experience with the rep and I got a good quality farmhouse.

Original review: July 3, 2022

They were the first company that gave me a chance and they handled my entire loan with utmost respect and courtesy. They were fast and sufficient. My rep Heather constantly kept in touch about my loan and answered every question I had. If she didn't have the answer, she found someone who did. I got a magnificent home. My wife and I love everything about it.

Original review: July 2, 2022

Working with them was good. I got a good quality traditional home. I like everything about it including the size and the way it's made and how it's large when you go to the bathroom. I also like the tub. We got a handicap shower for my husband.

Original review: June 23, 2022

With the loss of my loved one, Mikale & Morgan went over & beyond to help me during a financial heartship. With their caring understanding gave me ease with allowing me to defer some payments. I was so nervous about the situation when requesting and Mikale assured me that she was going to do everything she could and the M&M's came through. Thank you Vanderbilt Mortgage for hiring people with Sympathy/Empathy.

Original review: June 22, 2022

The process was quick and easy and whenever I dealt with the loan officer, my experience was good.

Original review: June 11, 2022

Vanderbilt has been good. They were the first one that reached out to us when we were trying to buy a home and get this process started. We first started the process a few months ago. We applied through one place and they got back with us within three or four days. However, whenever you go to a different county or different city, you have to re-qualify for each one every time. We started out in two different counties and we had to redo it and redo it. Finally, we found the one that we wanted in Richmond and Vanderbilt got back with us instantly. The reason it took so long was because my wife hadn't worked for six months. As soon as her six-month period had hit, Vanderbilt was right there whenever we called.

Original review: June 10, 2022

We had to sell a home to buy another one, and the rep was wonderful. I talked to her one time, and she gave me a pre-approval almost immediately then started dealing with the place we were buying a mobile home from. One part I didn’t like was the closing agent wanted ridiculous stuff. He asked for our closing statement and we hadn't closed yet. That was minute though. We closed on May 30th and bought the mobile home on May 30th as well. It didn't take anything, but the guys at the place we were buying a mobile home from had to really jump in there and get some stuff done. Overall, Vanderbilt was the easiest part of our experience. Also, the homeowners insurance that they offered us is right in line with what it should be and it's got great coverage. We're happy.

Original review: June 9, 2022

Vanderbilt has been prompt. The questions we’ve had have been answered. The only thing I don't understand with Vanderbilt is this one thing. Vanderbilt went ahead and funded the loan and we’re supposed to get two months free whenever we bought the house. But we're not even in the house yet, and that two months has already started.

Original review: June 8, 2022

Would not recommend to anyone! Tried to buy home. They wanted 1000$ up front for fees. Had to have their appraiser who had to come from another state to do appraisal. Which cost 5x as much as a local one would have. Then he appraised it for a ridiculously low price. The comparables in area were in line with the offered price. To finance with Vanderbilt it would have been almost a 50% down payment. So financing fell through. Out of the 1000$ I received a 45.50 refund. So 955.00$ make a few phone calls? Really? Beware is all I can say.

Original review: June 8, 2022

The place we got the mobile home from communicated with Vanderbilt and got us more information. Our loan officer was difficult to reach. If she's not there, she should have somebody else communicate. Other than that, it was an easy process for us. Our friends asked us how the process was and I let them know.

Original review: June 7, 2022

The process went well. It was quick, and communication was real easy. We mainly talked in person with the representative. All in all, Vanderbilt did a good job, and I would recommend it if friends were looking for a mortgage company.

Original review: May 29, 2022

The experience with Vanderbilt was great. But for the communication part, when we called in, the person that we needed to speak to wasn't there most of the time. But with everyone else, they all helped. We got to close within two and a half weeks. We initially put an application out with someone else and they kept asking for more and more paperwork. It was a headache. But with Vanderbilt, it was stress-free because they did it for us instead of us having to go and do job verification, give them a signed form and this and that.

Original review: May 28, 2022

Communicating with Vanderbilt was very easy. The reps were excellent.

Original review: May 27, 2022

The experience was awesome. The reps are perfect and they did everything quickly.

Original review: May 26, 2022

My experience was quick and easy. They were very open. They answered every question very easily.

Original review: May 25, 2022

The process was fairly straightforward. Everybody was very helpful.

Vanderbilt Mortgage Company Information