4.5/5 (500 ratings)

About Clayton Homes

Clayton Homes is a manufactured home builder that offers an array of home types, from traditional site-built homes to tiny homes. With a focus on green building practices and multiple customizable features available, Clayton Homes can help you achieve homeownership within your budget.

Pros

• Customization available
  • Choice of quality home brands
  • Energy-efficient homes

Cons

• Potential land restrictions
  • Complex modular home financing

Bottom Line

Clayton Homes offers a wide array of home types and prices to choose from along with energy-efficient features and options. The company works with multiple name-brand home equipment and appliance brands.

Top Clayton Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clayton Homes?

Verified

The home buying process at Clayton was very easy. I couldn't ask for anything better. Their manager Tracy was outstanding. If I had any questions, she handled it right away... Eve...

Verified

I was recommended by a family member that owned a home through Clayton Homes. The buying process was easy. There was no stress and I was never pressured into buying a home. Everyo...

What is Clayton Homes?

Clayton Homes is a homebuilding company that offers a variety of home styles, including tiny homes, modular homes, apartment complexes and more. The company has been in business for more than 60 years and has experience with the intricate and complex processes that go into building your perfect home. The company is ISO 14001- and LEED-certified for green building projects. It also offers ENERGY STAR-certified homes for environmentally conscious buyers.

How does Clayton Homes work?

After working with a Clayton Homes specialist to design your dream home, the next step is to find the right land and secure financing. If you haven’t found the right space for your Clayton Home, the company’s team of professionals work with you to find land that fits your needs and budget.

Clayton Homes are built by first selecting from a variety of trusted home equipment and appliance brands, including MOEN, Frigidaire and Georgia-Pacific. The steel foundation is then laid before the flooring and plumbing system is installed. Next, the exterior walls and roofing are constructed, followed by a thorough inspection. Additional land improvements can be made if necessary or requested.

Clayton Homes prices

The cost of a home from Clayton Homes is based on factors including the size, brands used, type of home and selected features. Most homes start in the $140,000 range. The average price of a Clayton Home built in 2019 was $312,286.

Without land, the average price for a home built off-site cost $78,817. You can expect additional costs for various features such as energy-saving appliances or materials. Homeowners looking to reduce costs can work with Clayton Homes to eliminate features or opt for more affordable home appliance and equipment brands.

Clayton Homes FAQ

Who owns Clayton Homes?
Clayton Homes is owned by Berkshire Hathaway. The company was created in 1956 by Jim Clayton.
Are Clayton Homes modular?
Clayton Homes does build modular homes. Other home types are also available for purchase, including site-built homes and tiny houses.
Do Clayton Homes come furnished?
No, homeowners are required to furnish their homes. Homes built by Clayton Homes do include kitchen, bathroom and other appliances requested by the homeowner.
How much are Clayton Homes?
The price of Clayton Homes varies based on the selections made by the buyer. Costs include the price for labor, the appliances and materials selected and other various fees.
How much of a down payment do you need for Clayton Homes?
The amount of down payment necessary for a Clayton Home depends on the financing you receive. For instance, FHA loans require a minimum of 3.5% of the sales price as a down payment.
Does Clayton Homes help find land?
Clayton Homes helps customers find land for their homes. If the consultant is unable to find land, the company has an extensive network of local real estate professionals ready to help.
Is Clayton Homes a good company?
With the variety of homes and features available, along with energy-efficient options and green building certifications, many customers agree that Clayton Homes is a good company to work with.
What credit score do you need to get a Clayton home?
The credit score needed to buy a Clayton home is based on the loan type required. Conventional loans will need higher credit scores, usually in the 680 or higher range, while FHA loans are available with lower credit scores of 580 and above.
Are Clayton Homes built well?
Yes. In addition to quality building practices and materials, each build is thoroughly inspected. Each build comes with the Clayton Built stamp of approval, which is the company’s commitment to building excellence.

Are Clayton Homes good?

Clayton Homes provides a myriad of home types and features to choose from. These homes are ideal for the homebuyer who wants some control over the homebuilding process without the hefty price tag. Additionally, the company’s commitment to green building and energy-efficiency is a benefit for homeowners looking to actively reduce their energy bills or carbon footprint.

Clayton Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clayton Homes?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

Clayton Homes has been around for a while. And they've made a bigger name for themselves over the last few years. Standardizing mobile homes is what they've done. So, they built them to a standard and of forced everybody else trying to build them to stick to a standard. We settled here in south Tennessee. And the market drove me to look at one a little less expensive, because everybody was looking for way above market. The manufactured homes that Clayton had may have gone up in price, but they didn't do the three-fold, what traditional housing was doing.

I looked at the specs of a normal house. They probably do the same exact thing. I'm building exactly the same thing if I would have built my own house and did the same thing. So, I might have had a different pitch on my roof. But the standards of this house is the same almost exactly, if not better. I believe they're built in a factory. They're built, sustained inside an enclosed environment. You're not leaving your wood outside, getting saturated while you build. I had manufactured before. I've messed around with a couple of different ones, even in Alaska. They vary now since HUD is involved and the standards of housing has gone up.

They’re stick-built houses is what they really are. They're just brought in in two pieces and put together. I'm very happy with this one here. Not to mention the Athens Clayton home distributor. They care about their individual reputations. And they care about what they're doing. Richard, the engineer. And Alex, the salesperson. They were so personal. They didn't stress anybody out and didn’t put anybody under pressure. They know they can sell houses. When I made that decision, they were more interested in making sure that I selected them for a reason. So they carried out that reason.

Richard was the PM for the project. He kept me informed. I don't know if anybody even understands what it's like to try to get anything done right now, in the last three years since COVID. And parts and people, getting people to the right place to do the right thing, AC guys, power guys, dirt guys, all that. It's practically impossible. But this guy was on top of it. I knew he had probably 20 other customers and running around for 20 other people, but he made me feel like I was the most important one he had. It was an overall good experience.

Most people freak out when they come to buy these things. They think they're getting ripped off, or they think something's gonna happen. Or maybe it does happen. They don't pay attention sometimes to the time that it takes. And I was fortunate because Clayton had this model. It just came in and they were using it as a show model, and I talked them out of it.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback, Jon! We appreciate you taking the time to share your detailed experience in purchasing a Clayton Home.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 31, 2022

We were looking at houses and got one that was almost identical to the one we wanted. In order to get the one we wanted, we had to wait seven months and we didn't want to wait that long. I like the house but there are a few things I don't really like about it. They put a faucet in the back of the house but they didn't put one in the front of the house. There was no electrical either. The original one we looked at had one. When we walked around the house initially, it was still in two half pieces so we couldn't really get the total thing. We wish they would put electrical and water in front of the house and the back. We have a half acre of land in front of the house that we have to run hoses all the way round from the back to the front. I told Clayton about this and they just said that was how it came from the manufacturer.

Ross was our rep and he was good. But with the contractors, a lot of them suck. According to Ross, they already fired the contractors that did a bad job. Ross moved from a salesman to a manager and he got all brand-new people coming in. But at that time, the contractors they had was very **. They left stumps off of the yard they told us they removed. The ones that did the blocks into the house, I had to go out. They left the slurry off of the front yard. When I went over to the other one looking for sticks to pick up to mow the yard, they threw all cut blocks off of the yard over there. I got rid of them. Whatever company was doing the blocks, they did the back to the house. We sent a message to Ross about the color of blocks that we wanted put on the house. They put the back up. We went three weeks with nothing being done.

I drove one day and the guy was putting all the blocks back up onto the pallet. I go, "What's going on here? Are they bad blocks or something?" He no but they were the wrong blocks. They were gonna have to tear that down. He added, "They said they're supposed to be beige." I told him that they were supposed to be that gray because the house is gray. I asked him to put the blocks back. We lost three weeks on that.

The people doing landscaping on removing the stumps told us they were gonna be there. They didn't remove everything. The reasoning was they didn't realize that there were hills and stumps. The house had to be moved back because of the hill. We wanted it dug into the hill but we were told that it wasn't possible. We're happy to be on top of the hill.

Another thing is there is a little hallway that you go through the laundry room to go out the back. They only put a switch in the very back of the house and nothing toward the front. If you're going out to go outside, on the front hallway, you have to flip the light on in order to see to make it to the other light and to light up that hallway so you can see down it all the way. I let Clayton know all those stuff.

Also, there was the thing with the light switches. With the one that does the kitchen and the little hallway by the master bedroom, you would think the second one would be for the one in the kitchen. No, they put the one by the master bedroom. The last one is for the other light for the kitchen. That doesn't make any sense. When you're coming through the front door and you hit the light switch, what lights which should be the closest to the door? Or even when you're walking out, shouldn't the porch light be the closest one to the door that you can turn it on? But when you're going out, you can flip it off. The furthest one away from the door, the three switches, is the outside one. I can go in there and I can get the electric company to change that. The next one is for the fan and the closest to the door is the main lights to turn it on.

Another thing is the trim is coming off. If you barely bump it, the trim work will come off. I got ahold of Ross and when they did one of the pieces, the manufacturer left a piece off on the house. Overall, we had no problem with the personnel at Clayton Homes. They did everything they were supposed to do. Ross and the guys are working with the manufacturer about getting somebody out to fix an issue with a siding that buckled.

There are just some of that little stuff that if tweaked would make the home a lot better than what it is. The kitchen cabinets are beautiful but when you open up the door, instead of being two levels a shelf, there's not another shelf inside the cabinets. There should have been a shelf there. Right now, I'm working on trying to get the yard done because the guy left a lot of stumps out in the yard. He also dug out the ditch and flattened it. The agreement was that they would put in one pipe. The guy found 50 different ways not to put the culvert pipes in.

Now, we have coming off the street into the house instead of going into the ditch and around the back. It runs straight down the driveway at us. His words were, "I don't think there was one there." We can't go back. They told Ross and Martin, who was the manager at the time, that there was nothing they could do and they weren't gonna come out and do anything.

The electrical people held us up too because they were supposed to come and put the box on. They said they would have us all hooked up before the electrical company comes out. The electricity ran all the lines that had the poles up. They were waiting on the electrician to put the box up on the house. We got very irritated about the process. When we started last year, we were told that the contractors will have everything done by May. May came and Ross said, "The contractor says because of the weather," which some of it was a bunch of crap because they just didn't want to do it right. "We'll have you in by the 4th of July." The 4th of July came around and it wasn't done yet. It became by Halloween and that didn't happen either. It became by Thanksgiving then Christmas. But that didn't happen.

We signed the paper in January and we couldn't move in until February because the landscapers didn't put the stairs in for us. We're waiting for them to put that in. That messes up on trying to get grass to grow because they only do so many feet away from the house. Also, the grass they put in was crap and died. It didn't even grow.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Christopher, thank you so much for reaching out and sharing this feedback with us. Clayton Homes strives to provide a world-class customer experience. We appreciate you sharing the concerns and issues you had with setup. This information will help us to better improve our communication processes. If you should have any further concerns, please reach out to your retailer.

Original review: July 18, 2022

The purchasing process was great and we love our home. It's getting the little detailed things done and getting things fixed properly in a timely manner that we're having an issue with. There's a little bench seat with little cubbies that goes up under the area where the TV goes. It took forever to get that. The service people finally brought it out here and they didn't have a trim to trim it out with. That was probably a month and a half ago that they were here doing that. They finally came back out this past Thursday with the trim and trimmed it out. Clayton was also supposed to fix the pantry door because it bowed at the top. When you shut it, you can tell it's not even and it sticks out in one corner. They said they have it closing better and that's the best that they can do.

On all four corners where the house sits on the block foundation, you can stick your hand up in there. This means that anything can get up under the house like little animals and rodents. Clayton was supposed to fix that. Someone came and all he did was walk around the house with some spray foam. He sprayed gobs of foam that's hanging out where it's exposed. It looks horrible. They only fixed the corners. If you walk around the house, you can see where the house is not sitting flush on the cement block foundation and there are still places where animals can get up under the house. We've already killed two mice in the house because they were getting in under the house.

I have pictures that I took over the weekend of where that spray foam was sprayed in one corner. Now, it's even got the corner piece of the siding bowing out because he just stuck that can up in there and sprayed away and an animal can eat through that spray foam. Clayton is not fixing the problem but putting a band-aid on it. They should just get it fixed and be done. It's to the point that my husband told me that when I send the picture to Ashley, the girl I've been dealing with at Clayton, I was to let her know that they need to contact my husband and their sub can come on my husband's schedule when he was going to be at home. My husband was done and he's to the point that if they don't get it fixed right, he's ready to go somewhere and see if there's any help that he can get.

When you call Clayton and tell them, they send somebody out. The people that they're sending just walk around scratching their heads like they're not quite sure how they need to fix something. They leave and you have to hope that they will come back within a few weeks. It's been that way the entire time. When we were trying to get in the house, they would come and work a day or two then they would disappear. My husband is the one that had to keep contacting the sub to get them to come back out and finish so that we could get moved in. It was a lot of stuff.

There's a crack in the wall that has come up and we told Clayton about that weeks ago. The rep said she would notify the guy that was coming out to complete that trim and fix the pantry door and all the places on the foundation. But the guy that came did not know anything about that and those were not on his list. He went out and he came back in. He said, "I have good news and bad news. I can fix it, but I can't fix it because I don't have any mud on my truck." But if he was driving that far, shouldn't he have everything he would need? That's the way it's been the whole entire time.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Mrs. M, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We're sorry to hear of these frustrations, and we wanted to address your concerns below. The service team has been to the home. The stucco is done correctly. The vinyl hangs over the stucco and you can't see any gaps. It was advised that the customer seems to be attempting to completely seal the bottom of the home, which we do not advise doing, as it needs to breath to prevent mold. However, the customer was insistent on closing the gaps. He has closed all the vents and doesn't want to open them because of pests, but the customer does live in a wooded area. We had a contractor seal the corners and porch as a courtesy while he was there to do other repairs. The crack in the kitchen was a new crack and the first time it was heard about was when he was there that day. We did not know in advance it was there. We did inform the customer that next time we had someone available in the area we would get the sealant trimmed down (you have to let it expand to seal, then cut back) and fix the new crack that had just happened. We encourage you to reach out to your retailer regarding any further questions.

Original review: July 8, 2022

We liked the way the house was laid out. The size of it was good, too. There were a few little minor issues, but they were taken care of within a week. The biggest problem was the sliding glass door. One of the rollers underneath was all jazzed up and it couldn't be repaired. It had to be replaced. They just brought out a whole new door a couple of days later and put it in. The service has been excellent. One thing that really impressed me is the kitchen counter is L shaped. There's one area that's below where the two corners come together. It's inaccessible from the kitchen side so they put a door on the living room side for us for free.

There was an issue on my end, getting the lot prepared to have the trailer brought in. We had groundwater issues that took forever to take care of. So we ordered the trailer near the beginning of December. But we didn't take delivery till sometime late January. All that time, it sat on their lot. I'm sure they were anxious to get it moved into position, get it off the lot, but they weren't pushy about it. They called once a week saying, “How's things going?” We'd say, “Yeah, we're plugging along.”

I was amazed at how they moved that home in. From the time they arrived on site, it was only about two hours and it was not the easiest place to put a trailer. It's in a mobile home park. You got five foot on one side and eight foot on the other, and they somehow managed to squeeze that thing in without hardly any problems at all. It was a very amazing operation and it was very quick.

We like the overall quality of the home. The only thing I wish I had, was an idea where all of the electrical wiring runs behind the walls. There’s been a couple of occasions where I've had to drill a hole through a wall to run the cable TV because there's only one outlet that's attached to the outlet on the outside of the trailer and that's the entertainment wall. I've got TVs in other rooms, too, so they had to drill holes.

The woman that I dealt with from Clayton was great. She was very knowledgeable about her product, the processor and the paperwork. I also worked with a man and he came out a week after the trailer was put in place and went over some things with us. Any problems we had, he reported them and had them taken care of right away.

Clayton Homes response

Dennis, thank you so much for reaching out and sharing your Clayton Homes buying experience. We're pleased to hear that every process of purchasing and receiving your home went so well!

Original review: March 8, 2022

We found a home that we fell in love with. We felt that it was known for us and we brought that to the attention of Frank, the manager of the Clayton Homes location in Candler, North Carolina. We looked at several homes and always came back to the home that we ended up getting. Frank guided us through the process from beginning to end and he was very helpful in making our selections of interior options and exterior. It was a difficult time because it was through COVID and there was a lot of roadblocks, a lot of places that we could have stumbled. But he helped us keep going and a lot of that was because of all the restrictions out there. It was difficult because manufacturing was shutting down that there were various places couldn't get supplies and couldn't get product in, all those kinds of issues that Clayton had had to deal with.

Frank came out to the property that I was interested in purchasing and helped that process go smoothly in acquiring the property and bringing it into Clayton back home because he knew that based on the property, he could sell that home any day of the week for more than he was selling it to us for. We knew that and he knew that but he made it work well for us, and it wasn't that easy at times during that timeframe of 2020 and ‘21.

Country Air is the name of our home and it was a popular home and there were a lot of people after it. There were manufacturing issues because they were at capacity trying to crank this particular model out. We didn't have a lot of custom work done. We just made the exterior selections of windows and entryways and things like that that we wanted. Electrical was the main thing and we had some extra outlets dropped. Now that we're in it, the home could be better. I don't know if it had a bumpy ride getting here. But overall, we're more than satisfied with it and we’d do it again.

We've got a few cracks and we had the plumber out yesterday. He was very good. He took care of our attic issue. We had a bit of a bumpy ride because one of the vent pipes from one of the bathrooms came disconnected. We had a heavy downpour and we had rain come in through the vent pipe and ended up running down one of our walls. We don't have our wall painted. I haven't pushed for that yet, but I'm sure that if I do, Clayton will take care of that.

Clayton Homes response

Reginald, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We value your input as our customer. We're so happy that you're loving your new home!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

My aunt and uncle purchased a property through Clayton Homes. We also purchased around the same time because we purchased right next door to each other. The model that we chose was already on the property when we bought it, but it very much suited our family. We have three girls, a set of twins and an older daughter, and the way it was sectioned off there towards the back of the house and the open floor plan worked out very well for us.

Clayton Homes was trying to build quickly in the area, and if they could have slowed down a little, it would have been a little better. Other than that, it's not horrible. We have called them on a couple of issues to have them come out and fix them. A couple of issues, they’ve sent us the pieces to have it fixed. There were trim pieces that they said, “Well, that's not our responsibility.” So, we had to go through and fix them. We have had some bigger issues as well, including a roof leak during a rainstorm, and they had somebody in the area who came over and helped fix it.

We also had an issue at the time of closing. We got a call from our daughter at school and had to go pick her up and bring her with us to the closing. We called and told them, “Hey, we've got a issue. I know we need to close.” They said, “You know what? We'll hold. Please go get her. Do what you need to do. We'll wait.” We were very satisfied with everything. They went out of their way and met us out here. They were amazing to work with, and their professionalism would not deter me from telling people go to Clayton.

Clayton Homes response

Amanda, thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! We love hearing about our team members going above and beyond to ensure that our customers have a wonderful homebuying process!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2023

We are thrilled with our house and we absolutely love it. We have two little kids and we are expecting twins. So we picked a four-bedroom and it had two bathrooms. We needed that extra bedroom. Everything was super easy to do and we had a great experience with Clayton Homes. We worked with Jessica for most of the time. She knew a lot about the houses and the different packages and setups that the house had. So she helped us pick one when we talked to her about our family dynamic. Then we worked with a man named Taylor for the construction part.

Both Taylor and Jessica were knowledgeable and super kind to us. They called us all the time and updated us, which was good, because I didn't have to wonder what was going on with my house. We showed our place and only had to come out here a couple of times. They put our home exactly where we wanted it and it worked out good for us. Clayton Homes is there to help you and they would help you pick a good home.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us, Bethany! We are so happy you've had such a wonderful experience.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

Everything I've had to deal with Clayton Homes was a positive experience. They have checked back with me and made sure everything was okay. Everything went pretty smooth. The delivery was pretty much on time with everything. They responded to everything we had to ask about if we had any problems. So it was a reasonable period of time it took to do everything. The home is excellent. My daughter loves it. I have a piece of property and the staff at Clayton helped me arrange for the sale of that. They were life changers for us.

Clayton Homes response

Anthony, thank you so much for sharing! We are so happy that you and your family chose Clayton Homes!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

Clayton Homes had everything we need, as far as bedrooms. The communication was good. They texted, kept in touch, and kept us updated. We had minor things fixed in the house that probably happened while they were moving, like trim popped off. They contacted us to make sure that everything was good. It was a positive experience. It was very simple.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Donnie, thank you so much for providing this feedback on your homebuying experience!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

The guy with Clayton Homes that took care of us was wonderful. Any question we had, he made sure he did his very best to get the answer and helped us along with the long process. However, we've had trouble with some of the interior like the ceilings and the walls. We've had to have them come out quite a bit. We're waiting on them to come back out to do some more work on the house. They are pretty quick to come out but I don't feel like they focus on fixing the problem. It's more or less of covering the problem.

Clayton Homes response

Coby, thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Clayton Homes strives to provide exceptional customer experience, and we're happy to hear communication has continued throughout the process. Please do not hesitate to reach out to your retailer regarding any concerns with repair.

Clayton Homes Company Information