Call toll free
4.43/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1956, Clayton Homes has been helping families build happiness through homeownership. We are committed to providing affordable, quality homes with a diverse range of builder offerings. Our homes include traditional, modular, tiny and manufactured homes, as well as apartments, military barracks and college dormitories. We are recognized as an innovator in our industry and pride ourselves on our integrity and reputation. Contact Clayton Homes today to own your own slice of the world to call home.

Clayton Homes Gallery (4)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1729 Clayton Homes Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: May 28, 2019

My nephew and my grandson went with me and we were trying to get to Albuquerque. This was in December 16 and it was so snowed out. We couldn’t get through. We turned around and we were gonna go back to Winslow where we were staying and my grandson asked if we could go to Chino Valley. So, late in the afternoon, we got down there and Clayton Homes were the first properties that we saw. I looked around and it was perfect. So, my nephew said that we should go down a little more. Maybe we could find out more about them and see if they had any homes for sale. We stopped at Clayton Homes and started looking at the models.

The rep offered us a snack and he said that if we wanted, he could tell us good places to go for dinner. He showed us homes, layouts and insurances that were available. He didn’t sell anything. He just showed us everything we wanted to see. It sold itself. We put down payments on three of them that afternoon. One for each of us. The home buying process with Clayton Homes was so simple and easy. Matt was the best-informed and the most reasonable. He was on top of everything. Sharon was great and the owner, Dave, was incredible. Even Jay, the manager who came out to survey the property, spent more time with me so we could figure out the layout of the house. Eddie was right on top of any questions I had.

I had plenty of customization. I wanted the soaker tub, instead of the regular. I didn’t want a back door, so I got an area where I could put in a freezer or a sink in the utility room. I didn’t want any carpeting at all, so they traded me the shutters that were in there, for putting in the wood floor. Then, when we were signing the deal, they said that they would give me the mini-blinds for free. I loved it. Everything about the experience was 100% over the top.

I was out there by myself because we were trying to sell my house here in Hemet. At 1:30 in the morning on a Sunday, the winds were blowing at 60 miles an hour and there was rain. I couldn’t hear a thing in my bedroom which showed how well-made they are. But I heard this drip and I got up and looked all over for it. Finally, I was ready to turn off the bathroom light and there was water in the tub. I looked up and I saw it coming in the mini-blinds. I called the rep, Matt, and he answered the phone. He told me he would take care of it.

He sent out two emails to the owners, one to Jay, the project manager, and one to Eddie, who does all the repairs. Eddie called me at 9 o’clock the next morning. He said he got the email and asked if it was okay to come out. He took down the fascia and pulled out the caulking. He told me what happened. They had multiple homes that were all alike, and they caulked some of them for Northern Arizona and some for Southern. They did that on a Thursday. On Friday, they hauled my home up here and it didn’t even have a chance to stick or dry. He took out all the caulking and the windows. He dried everything off, put it back, put on the fresh caulking and the fascia back up, and repainted. He came in the house and did the same thing with those windows. He dried up the floors and left two towels out because he was not sure what was gonna happen with the two. He said they should be okay, but it was where most of the water came in.

There are 11 windows in the house and he did 7 of them. He said that they never had problems with those windows above the sink and the washer and dryer. I asked how often they have these kinda problems and he said that they did 88 homes last year and only had problems with 5. I have not had a problem with it since. I have recommended Clayton to friends. I have friends who are going out with me in August, right at the hottest part of the year, because they don’t believe how nice the temperature is where I live. I've invited all of my friends to come out and stay so they can actually see it and see where it is.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for the positive feedback, Katherine! We're so happy to hear that you came across us in Chino Valley and ended up buying a home. Congratulations!

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I had a disappointing experience with the Clayton dealership in Sulphur Springs. My daughter-in-law and son had bought a home from them and they had nothing but problems. I also had a problem while I was there and it ended up being a big mess. I couldn’t get anything to get anywhere. I had gone back to them right before I purchased the home and they strung me along for about two weeks. They tried to put me in something that I didn’t even want or like. They said, “Well, it's a home,” and I told them I'm not gonna pay for something I don’t want.

One day, I went into the dealership in Texarkana to see what they had. The salesman there said, “Oh, we can get you into this house for under $60,000, blah, blah, blah.” I said okay, then I left. I thought about it and said to myself, “I'm gonna call back and talk to the manager.” I called back and talked to Leon and he was absolutely the best thing that fell out of the sky that day. He was amazing. He said, “Come back up here. I'll walk you around. We'll find you something. We'll find you something you like.” We went back up there a few weeks later. We were walking around and I saw the trailer that I had seen at the Sulphur Springs dealership. I loved that trailer -- the layout, look, and everything. I said that I love that one, but I also said that their salesman already told me they can't do that one. He asked, “Why not,” and I said that I didn’t know.

We started talking and he asked how I was gonna do it. I said that I was gonna pay cash and he said, “Well, it's that much big difference.” Nobody else had let me get me that far. He said that they could do it and that he could get me a discount. We ended up doing the paperwork. We got it done and cut in the check. Not even three weeks later, they were bringing my house out and it was amazing from the beginning until the end that I got the one I wanted. I got the one that I was in love with and I got to deal with somebody like him and got to meet him. I feel blessed because he was absolutely the best, the sweetest person I've ever met.

I've given great reviews to Clayton in Texarkana because of the fact Leon went above and beyond. As a salesman or as a dealership manager, he didn’t even have to get involved and he didn’t even have to do anything. He could have just let it go. He was so pleasant and so nice to deal with. He was an awesome person. The guys in the office were really sweet and very helpful, and always wanting to know how things are going. I would really love to nominate Leon or whatever I'll have to do to get him some recognition for the work that he has done. I called with a complaint and he was on it. The stove was messed up and he was on it. He has been fantastic and I really would like to see him get the recognition he deserves.

I picked the home up straight off the lot. There were some things that were different, like the refrigerator, that were different from what I had picked out. I didn’t choose any colors, flooring, and carpet. I fell in love with the house just as it was set up. It had a very rustic farmhouse style to it. It was called the Anniversary, but they changed the name of it now to the Farmhouse. It had the farmhouse sink and a lot of cute little neat stuff. However, we had a little bad problem with the snow. We had a guy come out and tell us, “Oh, it's this. Oh, it's that,” and supposedly fixed it, but not even two weeks later, we had somebody else come back out to do the same thing again. After about three times, we finally got one and so far, it has not messed up since we got it replaced. They brought us a different unit all together and it has been fine ever since. There have been no problems, no issues.

The dishwasher is still messed up, though. It will not do the heated dry cycle at all and it is getting to where it is not washing really good. I'm gonna give Leon a call and see if he can send someone out. He is very good about getting on the problem and getting it solved, and that is what I liked. He is a man of action and when he finds out there is something wrong, he takes care of it. He is amazing. I feel blessed from the moment I walked in the door and talked to him until now. I feel lucky because I had a great salesman. If I hadn't dealt with him, I wouldn’t have the house right now.

I love the house overall, although there were just a couple of things. We've had some appliance issues with the stove and we had one with the refrigerator freezing up on the inside and not doing what it was supposed to do. But other than the appliances, I'm totally happy with this house and I couldn’t be happier. We got an extended warranty and mine is around eight years. It covers everything, so we are pretty set on that and I'm glad I did it because, with the stove issues, you never know. Just because you buy something new doesn’t mean it might not be defective.

Toni,

We are sorry to hear that your experience with our Sulphur Springs Home Center did not meet your families expectations. Home Ownership is a very special thing and we want to make sure every Clayton customer feels the same way when interacting with Clayton. We would like to reach out to you to learn more about your experience.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I stuck with one person to cut down on some of the confusion in purchasing a modular home. So, I went with Clayton Homes. I had a good salesman, Monroe, who worked hand in hand with me and explained everything as I went along. I was impressed with his congeniality. He was also very complimentary and he sucked me right in. The relationship between me and Clayton's salespeople was very good and they’re nice people to have in the community. Clayton's overall process was also good and they kept me notified.

But at the manufacturing level, they must’ve hired all the incompetence from miles around. I have a tub and they put a wood skirt around it. They also put in a new outlet. But the ventilation system is not working right and the master bedroom is very cold. They came yesterday and put in another ventilation duct in the floor. So it was a little better last night, but not really good. There are still some major problems here that somebody’s gonna have to deal with. But every time the fan comes on to heat the place, the return air is so high that it sucks air right in through from the outside. I had to get the AC people to explain that to me. I’ve been working with Clayton Homes here in Spotsylvania and they've been very cooperative and sympathetic to the problems. They also sent somebody right out. But these things keep showing up.

When I came in in the bedroom, the electrical outlet was hanging out of the wall. Somebody just somehow stuck the receptacle in there and didn’t nail it down to a stand. Apparently, when they unplugged their Sawzall from a nearby receptacle, they pulled the receptacle right out of the wall. There has been a lot of stuff like that. Plus, I need to address the issue with the insulation in my ventilation piping. I also had a little trouble with the air conditioning not being what I thought it would be. The bill payer is uncomfortable. Aside from that, my front and my back storm doors won’t close and they never fit right from the get-go. They hit the door casing and as far as doors, I had to slam on past that to get the storm door to close.

So far, I had 27 items that were pretty well took care of. Clayton got people down here and they were good people. They had no attitudes or anything like that. Right now, I’m about to launch a new punch list in a new billing. That's when they finish putting the building together, then everybody goes to work and develop some punch list of discrepancy or problems and submit it back to the contractor. I got a five-year guarantee on everything and I’m just playing along with the way they’re working and we’ll get them all fixed eventually.

But my point of view is that I bought a new house with all new appliances and equipment, and all should be practically new. But Clayton does not have a good professional inspector, particularly with this house. It went out with a lot of discrepancies and I didn’t expect some of the problems that I'm coming up with now. It makes me wonder whether the people that are in the office understand what’s going on in the field. I talked with the salesman about coming out in the house and he said he has never been out to the house. All he does is sell them.

Clayton has more than one person out there running the show anyhow and these are some things that somebody in the upper echelon needs to look at in Clayton Homes as far as quality control. Everything looks good when you get it, but it ain’t so good. I’m not trying to make any noise though. I just wanna get what I paid for and get down the road. But I’ve never been angry about anything. Their reps were very cordial to talk to at the home site and mostly, I was very satisfied the people at Clayton. But I don’t like the people they hire to do the skilled work. They certainly aren’t very skilled. I got a bath tub sent here right next to an outside wall that has no siding between me and the outside. So, that is one situation. I’ve been trying to get things straightened out since last May when we went to closing and things are moving along slowly. But they did get the first list worked out back in November.

Clayton Homes response

Glenn, we sincerely appreciate your detailed feedback. Thank you so much for taking the time to share all of your information with us! We're glad to hear that your home buying experience went so well. However, we're very sorry to hear about all of the issues you've had with your home. As far as the ongoing issues you're having, we are going to follow up with your Home Center and Home Building Facility and someone will be in touch shortly. Thank you again, this type of information is very crucial for our company in bettering our processes.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

When I decided to purchase a home, I checked out Clayton and other home manufacturers. The other manufacturers didn't seem like they were built as well as Clayton Homes, so I stuck with Clayton. I checked in to have a home built, but it was more reasonable for me to have the Clayton Home put down, 'cause I was retiring, and I didn't want a big house now. For the price and structure, I felt like it was a good bang for the buck. The home buying process took a while with the finances, but it was good after all that was said and done. Their rep was helpful and even if I didn't get to talk to her too much when I last dealt with her, she's very concerned about any issues that we had in the house. She pointed out a few things that we may have overlooked to make sure that everything was covered that might have been scratched, and we went over all of that kind of stuff.

George over at Clayton Homes where we bought was very helpful and he did a fantastic job working with us. He can answer any questions we had and he stuck with us, 'cause we've been trying for close to two years before we have got it. It took so long because at the time we were starting to finance it, my daughter was still in college, and I had a parent loan. At the time, the parent loan doesn't come until she ends school so the question with the finance company was how much was I gonna be paying a month for the parent loan part, and I couldn't tell them because she wasn’t out of school at the time. But once she's finished, then I negotiated with the student loan people and everything was fine.

We've also had some issues with the paint peeling on the cabinets, and we brought it to their attention. We sent pictures to George and the lady, and the lady dealt with the factory people. The factory people came out and replaced all the cabinet doors that were peeling. They worked hard and did a great job. The cabinets, after they left and all, they need to do the same thing. They even brought new indoor doors because some of them were scratched and minor damaged. When I shut them against the door stopper thing, the wood that goes all the way down the door to keep you from going past and when you shut it, it hits the bottom of that wood. It was off for about a quarter inch, and it was closed at the top. But they brought new doors and replaced all of them.

However, when they brought them from the factory on the truck, there wasn't any paper or cardboard between the doors. It had the tendency to scratch on it so the doors they put on was in a worse shape than the ones that were originally on there. I went on ahead and rehung all the old doors back myself after they had left and brought it to their attention when they came back out with some more doors, but it was like the same thing. They still just stacked them on top of each other. They ended up fixing the main thing that was in the hallway where the two spare bedrooms were by taking the door off in the doorframe and fixing the doorframe 'cause it was the problem and not the door. They fixed all that and got it all painted back.

There are still some issues because of the problem with those particular type of white cabinet. After a period of a little time, the paint kinda chips on them and they're not paintable. If they were painted, we're gonna have brush streaks on them. Right now, they're smooth but they're trying to figure out an alternative on how they're gonna fix the cabinets and they're supposed to send a crew back out to handle that. Overall, their product is sturdy and not cheap, and I feel happy with the quality of our home. If someone asks me about Clayton Homes, I will tell them it was a wise choice to go with them. We spent more to make sure that it was energy efficient, and we had to upgrade on a lot of stuff in there, but it was well worth it. I would highly recommend them over anybody else.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for your detailed feedback, Stephen. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed working with George and that your home buying experience went well. The financing can be complicated, but thank you for sticking with us! The information you provided about the cabinets and how your replacements were transported is very beneficial! We will make sure this feedback gets in the right hands. Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

We started with Clayton Homes in Lexington around 2014, but before that, we've been going down to Sanford and we saw Vanderbilt Homes, Clayton Homes, and Country Fair Homes. We looked at all of those, then we came back to Clayton Homes and we finally saw what we liked. Their price was better as well. The first one we went to was down in Sanford, where we first saw Clayton Homes, but we realized there was Clayton Homes right here in Lexington, so we went to the Lexington location instead. Everybody in the office was great to us, not only our personal sales rep. When we walked in and had questions to ask and if our rep wasn’t there, everybody would be willing to answer any questions we had.

We started looking and decided that we do some changes with the house, and they were willing to work with us. They went to the manufacturer with answers they didn’t know and the head guy from the manufacturer came up to Clayton Homes here in Lexington and sat down with me to let me know what I could or couldn’t do. They did everything I wanted and did a bunch of changes for me. We absolutely love the house. Not only that, they are really good too. If we have a problem, I've called them and within some time the next day or within two days, they have somebody out there. The problems had been minor and we haven't had anything major at all.

We customized the family room that was a living room and it had a dining room at the end of it. It also had a doorway to go into the hallway and to the kitchen. They let me take the little half wall out and get rid of the dining room. It's all family room now as you walk in. They also let me do a half wall, but I wanted to make it into a foyer since the house didn’t have one. It was just a walk-in to a living room area. Then, they let me take up part of the columns that were in the archway because I didn’t want the column.

Some of the big changes were where the family room was. At the end of the kitchen, I made that a dining area with a glass slider door instead of windows because I don’t need a living room and a family room. We needed a bigger family room because of all the kids in the family we have when we have them over. So, right now, the way with my archway here between the family room and the kitchen and when all the families are here in the family room, I can see and talk to all of them while I'm doing stuff in the kitchen. It's very family-oriented and everything is so easy to get to. I also rearranged the kitchen a bit. I wanted two ovens, so I've got a slide-in range and, on the end of the wall, I have an oven and a microwave over the top of it into a cabinet. They let me put a pantry in my kitchen as well.

We also put another pantry at the end for the dining room. One whole wall is nothing but a huge pantry for dishes. I put dishes and party supplies in it. They also let me rearrange the master bathroom. I changed it all around. I took the tub out and put a larger shower stall in there. I also made a private party area. And being a woman, I wanted a sink and a vanity, so on one side of the wall, we had two double sinks. I did a sink and a vanity for me and, on the other wall, we did a 30-inch sink for my husband and a linen closet. The house was so customized. Everybody who walks into it really likes it. We've had people stop by after we moved in and they asked if they could come in and look at it. Also, in this house, you can't hear it when it rains outside and the house is very well insulated. In the winter time, it is very warm and during this hot summer, it's great. I only have the air conditioning set on 75 and it's cool in here.

Clayton Homes worked with us in every aspect. We were coming down every couple of months talking to Clayton Homes and seeing what they could do. I had another place that was gonna do some stuff for me, but Clayton Homes was right here and everybody was really nice. There isn’t a person in that office that wasn’t nice to us and still is. I've been recommending them to several people. There's one couple that really wants this house, but they can't afford it. We got a heck of a price compared to when we were looking down in Sanford. They worked with us and really gave us a great price. The house had one price on it and I customized it which brought it up a bit more, but it was worth it. We still feel we came out of hand every bit of the stuff they did to it and we really got a great deal.

Clayton Homes response

Toni, we LOVED reading your review! Thank you so much for the kind words and for taking the time to share your experience with us. We're thrilled that you loved working with our Lexington Home Center and that you were able to customize your home to meet your exact needs. Congratulations on your new home and thanks again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clayton Homes?

Resolution response: Aug. 12, 2019

The sales person was able to resolve the issue.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

My wife and I purchased a 2019 single wide from Clayton Homes in Leesburg Georgia in May of 2019. The Salesman Ronnie was fantastic and Friendly. We had no issues with him at all. The Maintenance Manager Val was superb in getting the home ready to move into and always very helpful and Friendly. The man in charge of getting the Electrician and Air conditioner contractor in place was not helpful at all. I attempted to call him and 4 different occasions the last was the 27th of June to ascertain the progress of the Electrician setting up the electric and air conditioner with no avail, he had either left for the day or had just stepped out.

I ended up contacting the salesman to get the info, and I was told that the Setup manager informed the salesman that I had contacted the Electrician my self and informed the company that I was not ready for the power to be hooked up. (THAT WAS A TOTAL FALSEHOOD) I didn't even know who the Electrician company was at the time. The salesman was also told that this was done on a conference call (fALSEHOOD #2.). Progress has been made on the house and setup is getting done with the help of Val and a contractor hired by the company to fix the few items pointed out during a walk through.

The set up MGR Bert is still MIA we have not any contact with him since the closing Mid June and he informed us to contact him about set up issues as the salesman had done his part. I think that sales office should take him out of the picture all together before some other customers get lied to and don't get their home set up in a timely fashion. We had already made a house payment on the new home and had no electricity or Air conditioning. Thank goodness we were not moved in yet.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention, Kevin. We're sorry for the issues you've experienced. At this point, we've been notified that your salesperson was able to get your issues resolved and that your review has been updated. Thank you for taking the time to get it updated as well!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

We're younger and nobody wanted to deal with us around here. They wouldn't take us seriously. I saw Clayton Homes through Facebook, and I went down in Charleston where they are and ended up getting a home there. The rep I worked with was David. He was really good. We gave a price range to start out with. He listed about everything we wanted to see down there and gave us no rush at all. He even stayed over that one day because we were trying to make our minds. That was a big decision. I found a home in the lot and it is everything we wanted. We had a faucet in the bathroom and it started leaking. I had to kill the water to the house. And a guy came out the next day which was on a Sunday. He fixed the faucet and the back door that we were having trouble with. Clayton really did good.

Clayton Homes response

Kenneth thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are happy to hear David was able to meet your needs and find you a forever home. It is also great to hear we were able to remedy your repair needs quickly.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

The application process at Clayton was very smooth. Everyone was wonderful. They did everything they said they would do. One time, as soon as they put the house together, I thought it had been leaking, and I called and talked with Sam, the manager down. I was about to panic. He got in his car and rode out to my home. It turned out that the drywall wasn't dry yet. We had a big rain and I thought it had leaked. I like the build. We ordered our home and got the colors and the countertops that we wanted. I got what I ordered.

Clayton Homes response

Carol, it's very kind of you to take the time to tell us about your home buying experience. We're so glad to hear that everything was wonderful! It sounds like Sam really went above and beyond to make sure everything was right for you! Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

We had been to several different places and we liked the quality of Clayton. When we had our second visit, we got a little more in-depth about it. The representative was very knowledgeable, offered suggestions and helped us out a bit. I've been very pleased with the home-buying process. We flipped the plan from end to end. I made changes in the kitchen. I also had a custom shower put in into the master bath. We chose the colors as well. We also changed the appliance package that came in. I’ve enjoyed our new home a lot so far.

Clayton Homes response

We appreciate that you reached out, Rodney! We love to hear from our customers about their home buying experience. It's so nice that you were able to customize the home to be exactly what you want! We're happy that you're enjoying your home. Congratulations!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

Clayton had the best prices for the quality of their homes. The home buying process was very smooth. They answered all of our questions. They’d call us as soon as possible. The home consultant was nice and he helped us get exactly what we wanted. We just fixed some stuff up. Working with Clayton has been pretty good. They got us a new home, a place that we live every day so it's excellent.

Clayton Homes response

Well that's just so wonderful to hear, Nicholas! We are so happy that your home buying experience went so well. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and congratulations on your new home!

Clayton Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

Clayton Homes specializes in affordable, quality-built modular and manufactured homes. It offers floor plans for a wide variety of home sizes and styles, from tiny homes to 4 bedroom houses.​ Their homes are all designed and manufactured in the United States.

• Range of home types: Clayton builds traditional site built homes, modular homes, manufactured homes and tiny houses.

• Offers trade-ins: Customers can trade in their current home for a new manufactured home in order to save on costs.

• Homes with basements are available: Clayton Homes can be ordered with a full basement.

• Model homes available in most locations: Users can visit a Clayton Home Center to see model homes or set up a tour. Visit their website to find a home center near you.

• Environmentally friendly: Clayton has received an ISO (International Organization for Standardization) certification for green building standards.

• Customizable options: Homebuyers with specific needs can get a custom-built home.

• Best for: Clayton Homes is best for people on a budget, buyers with time constraints and people with special needs.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Clayton Homes Company Information