Clayton Homes

Compare Home Builders & Developers

Research top Home Builders & Developers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

When I say I WOULD NEVER AGAIN BUY ANYTHING FROM CLAYTON HOMES, I mean never, I bought a trailer in August 2007, it was GARBAGE, I already never wanted a trailer, but after Katrina, I had no choice. Well for starters THE FLOORING WAS PARTICLE BOARD, NOT REAL WOOD, ROOF WAS LEAKING, just a hot mess. If I could turn back the hands of time I would. Thanks for letting me vent. Desperate in Louisiana.

We visited Clayton homes in Mobile Alabama and it turned out to be the biggest mistake my wife and I have ever made. If I could go back and change any of it I would, we should of went to Wayne Frier Homes. It's such a long story. It would take me a couple of hours to detail all the problems that we have had and it still continues after 2 years with no resolve. All I kept hearing is that's "we will take care of it in a couple of days," those days are still in waiting. Clayton Homes SUCK, SUCK, SUCK. I want my money back. I don't feel safe in a piece of ** tin can. I cringe when a storm approaches, I cringe at the thought of a hurricane, and I cringe when I send in a payment for a piece of **.

Thank you Clayton for not listening to what I wanted and what your salesman Steve provided. Lies, lies, lies. I'm so ashamed to say I own a Clayton home. If anyone wants to find a home in a mobile home please do your research, look at the reviews. I'm a first time home buyer and I trusted someone that was trying to help but turned out to pad their own pockets and didn't give two ** about the consumer. I will do all in my power to direct others away from Clayton Homes.

I purchased our Fleetwood home in 2000. I was never so disappointed and this purchase fireplace burnt up in 1 year Plumbing falling apart leaks everywhere from bathrooms 2 kitchen toilets sinks kitchen sinks tubs showers - they all like kitchen cabinet kitchen cabinet drawers falling apart. Heating? What heat? The house is cold all winter and the house is cold all winter. The bills are atrocious. This $55,000 home was not worth signing the paperwork. Now fixing it up can't sell it. No one will buy it because it's a Fleetwood home. Wish I would have known before I bought Fleetwood. It was a waste of our hard-earned money.

Went to look at a new home. Was not sure if Clayton Homes could replace my current home with a new one more up-to-date. Sure they could. Informed them the title to our current home was deeded with the property. It was "No Problem." They could handle that. LIE!!! They couldn't do it. Sent emails to see if I would receive my money back... NO RESPONSE!!! So, I assume I am out of the $750 they needed to do appraisal/title/taxes. I would no longer recommend them to anyone. When you say I will get my money back, I assume I will get my money back. THIEVES!!! LIARS!!! I will now look into getting a home built for me instead of ever going to Clayton Homes again!

Very disappointed with Freedom Homes... I would not recommend anyone and will post this on every page that I can find... My wife and I lost everything after the 2016 flood and Living in a Travel Trailer. After looking for a home we found the ONE!! Our salesman give us a flyer on the sale. The floor model Lexington - it has the serial number on the flyer. It was very clear that we would get the one on the lot. We wrote everything up paid $1000.00 down to secure the home. (SO THAT IT WOULD NOT BE SOLD) Now we are told they sold our home and can't get another one for months if then. I have a signed Sales Agreement and they cashed my 1000.00. After going around and around with manager, he said "Nothing I can do." How SAD is this that they don't care. I have to start this process over again. IT'S NOT RIGHT.

The manager said it an error and it's not. THEY KNOW WHAT THEY WERE DOING. Did not call us. We had to find out by going up there. WE WERE PLACING INSURANCE ON IT. I have called twice to CMH Homes in Maryville TN the home office and they have not called back. This is not over. I will do everything that I can to get the word out!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clayton Homes?

Have had our home for 2 years and have had nothing but problems. Purchased in OKC. I feel like I live in a cardboard box. They skimped in every possible way with quality. It took a week in 97 degree temps to receive our AC unit. Since then it is a constant freeze up! Have refilled refrigerant twice. Now after spending $300 to diagnose, we have discovered Clayton used cheap aluminum piping causing the refrigerant to seep out. Including the unit itself. Will have to buy a new unit and copper piping. Paneling pieces falling apart. Shingles flying off the roof. Water stains in the ceiling. Window panes falling out. Oh and my sons ceiling fan literally fell out of the ceiling yesterday with it on high and him in the room! Luckily not hit. It's a beautiful home but looks are deceiving.

When I was looking at homes Clayton told me that they purchase the property, that way development wasn't held up, then the land and home would be sold as a package to me. If I took the lot model I would be able to move in by August 31st. I bit hook line and sinker!! I ended up purchasing the land and home in the same loan but Clayton did not purchase the land. Because this delayed development they committed to having me in by September 30th. It didn't happen, one error after another!

They gave me the keys to have the washer/dryer delivered and the bank was supposed be coming that day. When I entered the home I was shocked! Door frames were lying on the floor, the carpet was not nailed down, the toilets had been used and disgusting! Mud/dirt had been spread throughout the house, plaster dust was everywhere. I called and they sent someone out immediately... It took them 3 more days. Then I was finally given the keys and the steps into the house front or back were not done and they make you sign a document saying that it's ok that cabinet doors are crooked and that nails and staples may be loose or showing. What the heck!!

I still have the following problems: toilet lids don't belong to the toilets I have, the exhaust fan in the master was removed and not replaced yet, there is a chip in the counter where a nail came up, the panel on the back of the island has all the staples popping out and it's heavily scarred, the fan hood over the stove is white and the appliances are black, the nails in the carpet are very painful when you step on them. The dishwasher isn't hooked up, the window sills in the living room are bubbled and warped, the light over the kitchen island does not work. The blind in one room was cut too short and falls when you try to open it, the first time it scarred my wine table. There is no icemaker in the freezer like what was presented. This is the most exhausting and regretful decision I have ever made!

I purchased a mobile home from Clayton Homes in Dyersburg, in November of 2015 (the Breeze) at a cost of over 36,000. I am extremely dissatisfied with the quality of materials used on and in this home. To begin, the model I viewed on their lot had appliances like GE, Maytag, Whirlpool. The unit I was given had Frigidaire, somewhat lesser quality appliance. Then, had to call them to fix border of wallpaper not being tacked down properly, unfinished cabinets, rough, unpainted surfaces, the master bath vinyl floor had 1 inch staples exposed, the wallpaper is tissue thin, anything hung or adhered to it tears it, the carpet in both rooms 1/8 inch deep, hardly a plush carpet. Doors that do not remain closed (possible unlevel) and uneven gaps around door frames. ALL of the vinyl siding around my home is rippling, as if it's melting in the heat, There are gaps in the siding allowing rain and moisture to affect the insulating materials, outlets not working.

There are numerous other issues in addition to what I have mentioned which I HAVE addressed to the sales rep and maintenance person at Clayton, numerous times, the first was on 07/20/16, then 08/02/16, 08/30/16 then 09/21/16. I believe they are waiting for my 1 year manufacturing warranty to expire, in November, so they will not have to fix these problems. Though I did purchase an extended 5 year warranty, and fear it will not be honored. I do not recommend anyone to purchase Clayton homes, and I will pursue further with the CEO to correct all the issues. I have used, literally, every cent I had, to purchase this home and all that was necessary to set it up. I am disabled and unable to work, and feel I was taken advantage of by this company. And will hold them liable for any health or safety issues I may get due to their negligence.

I purchased my new home in 2014 (August) from Clayton Homes in Anderson SC. My home was made in 2013. Ever since this high priced piece of crap has been moved out here I have had problems after problems. I have just replaced my roof as of September 26, 2016. The roof was put on with staples and was put on wrong. Pictures to follow. They will tell you what quality the homes are built, bait you and when you sign the contract getting a decent contractor to fix the issues within the year of signing was almost impossible. Now after a little after 3 years and having to pay a $500.00 deductible for my new roof it is time to complain AGAIN. I would like my deductible paid back to me. I discourage anyone wanting to purchase a new mobile home to NOT go to Clayton Homes. I know if I could do it all over again I would and would run the other way.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Originally, our home was beautiful. We did not look as carefully as we should. The closets that are not walk in are not finished. There are rough edges that should have been covered. We signed our contract. We didn't move in till the 2nd week of August. There were some needed repairs including an open wire small square in my clothes closet. Our atrium door leaked and the entire frame needed to be replaced per one contract person. The last person who was out here said we were out of warranty. We are stuck with a door frame that is warped. When one of the painters came out, he got white paint on the beige. I basically was told we were SOL. We were even told by this last contractor that even though it's a manufacture defect, there might event be a $50 deductible. I sent a number of people there for purchases. Our sales person continues to see what he can do, but now, I cannot at all recommend this company.

We purchased our home in July 2016, the breeze 2. It was supposed to be this great home and fit our budget. 2 weeks into being in our home we had water coming into our hallway bathroom down the wall. We contacted Clayton to have someone come out to access the problem. The person who came said we had a shingle on our roof that was loose so he secured it back down and told us not to worry. 2 days later a bad storm came, we had more water. Now almost my entire ceiling is covered in green, black and pink mold.

3 days after this my oldest daughters bedroom across from that bathroom had water coming from under the floor into the bottom of her walls. I have ceilings in almost every room that have to be fixed by the factory including cracks, I have floors with bubbles in them, carpet that was cut too short, island in the kitchen came away from the walls and more. I had someone come to my house nearly 6 weeks after the mold started and it has over taken the entire bathroom, we cannot use it at all.

The guy got on my roof and found nails, staples and holes big enough to fit a screw driver in, and that's how water was getting in our home. I was told a contractor would be calling me and here it is yet another week gone by, to my surprise no phone call from anyone. Me and my family thought life would be great in our new home, but we are mistaken, we're living in absolute hell, and the amount of work that has to be done in our home is beyond ridiculous. I'm very close to seeking an attorney.

After spending a solid year looking for a home, I finally convinced my now husband to check out Clayton Homes. He lived in a 30 year old single-wide for 12 years and refused to live in a trailer any longer. He lived in the perfect location on family land and as picky as we were on location/land/privacy it made sense to stay where he was. The first model we walked into he could not believe it was a "trailer". We went to several different locations to check out the different models and I was not impressed by the "pushy" sales people who automatically assumed we had bad credit...fyi my husband and I both have incredible credit especially for "millennials".

Luckily we were recommended to Clayton Homes in Harriman. We never felt pushed or rushed. The whole staff went above and beyond. Their base models were upgraded from other Clayton Dealers (bigger water heater, dry wall throughout instead of paneling, etc.). We originally started the process with Vanderbilt Mortgage...boy did we quickly regret that! The interest rates are outrageous and the people we dealt with did not have a clue about customer service or professionalism. After my husband and I both lost it at separate times with our loan officer we found out we could finance with Mortgage Investors and quickly switched. Our interest rate is just like that of a regular stick built home and not 6-7% like Vanderbilt.

It took us two and a half years from the moment we first walked in to a Clayton dealer until we closed on our home. It took a lot longer than we had originally hoped but we had to fight with the county on issues (is the road considered a county road, will the house be too close to the road...etc.). We have now been in our home for over a year and a half and we love it! It was so exciting getting to pick out wall colors, cabinets, counters, flooring, window/door options and so on. The house fits us just perfectly and has become our home.

We knew when we purchased the house that it is a mobile home. It is factory built. The quality is not going to be the same as that as a stick built home but we got everything we were looking for in a home. Yes, we've had to re-glue some of the kitchen counters and other things like that but that is no big deal. Within the first year, we had a guy come out every few months to fix some things that did not get done before closing but Clayton took care of it. I have truly been amazed at how much we save each month in utilities. Our utilities bill for our 1500 sq ft homes is less than what I was paying each month for my 500 sq ft apartment and we won't even begin to discuss what his bill was in his old trailer.

We also pay less per month with mortgage than I did in my apartment. Course it helps that we already had the land. Every time someone comes into our home they are surprised that it is a mobile home. Even the layout is not the traditional mobile home layout. I have recommended Clayton Homes in Harriman to several other people but I tell them to go through Mortgage Investors if they are able to and NOT Vanderbilt Mortgage. We would not have done it any other way.

A week before closing they backed out of the deal. Then I had a 754 credit rating, they did their dropped to a 704. After they backed out of the deal they ran my credit again over 3 months later driving my credit down to 656. Why the hell are they still running credit checks? Beats the hell out of me.

We have a Clayton that was ordered and paid for in full by my mother 9 years ago. She suddenly passed less than 8 months of moving in, I then moved in to care for my ailing father. From the day it was set up, promises were made and never done. The men setting it up tracked red mud through the house the first day. That was to be replaced. Nope never happen. The floors were to be 3/4" plywood to support a wheelchair nope that is pressed board. All the plumbing has had to be worked on, every door handle replaced, all sinks, toilets, the only thing that hasn't been replaced is the garden tub and that's because it's never used but water backs up in it from the washer and shower because it's just not right.

The worst of it is the fact that 3 years after moving in I discovered the back wall for some reason was soft and gave when you touch it. Well we find out that water from rain has been running between to outside walls and inside walls since day one. That did come put gutters on the home but that didn't stop the water and now we have black mold growing inside the walls and we have to replace the floors and walls. Now I have emails, called, explained, yelled, cried and scream till I'm am blue in the face with these people.

I have even sent them pictures of the mold and where the walls are falling apart. We also had to replace the water heater, after getting to it behind a wall in the closet we found that the main wire from the box on the top of it was sitting in water. When we called the electrician he said it's a miracle the house didn't burn down around you. Again Clayton has ignored everything I have sent them or all my calls. I'm reaching out to every consumer board there is so in hopes they will stop screwing people over.

Purchased single wide mobile home in 2015 and the nightmare begins. The home wasn't ready when promised, was wrong color when delivered. I-beam racked and it pushed toilet in master bath up over 2 and half inches causing other things to go out of whack tub, dishwasher and create unevenness of floor along I beam. Master tub moved and upon complaining to manager he informed me that tub was flangeless and this was normal so I called headquarters and they came and removed surround that was damaged by I-beam movement and found flange hadn't been screwed off. Tub in master bath had a bad mixing valve and took over a year for them to fix.

It was only upon getting in touch with the state of south carolina housing and manufactured homes board that clayton homes finished the repairs. I will tell you that the BBB was a waste of time and actually were making excuses for Clayton Homes and upon doing some research it came to my attention that companies pay "Dues" to be members of Better Business Bureau so you can I'm sure figure who is their primary concern. The problems are too numerous to keep going and parallel other complaints here but I would recommend that you research your state for a regulatory board. That will help you as it has me. I will say though that this was one of my most miserable experiences and I would recommend telling everyone not to do business with clayton homes. Also understand the better business bureau's real goal. That being to collect dues.

Clayton Homes are a joke. I bought property they kept stalling on the closing date. They stated they could buy the land with the home although after 3 months nothing was taken care of and I lost my dream land. The manager Phil and Lisa were not giving us any answers. It was a really bad experience for me and my boyfriend who used to own a finance company. I am glad it did not work out considering the complaints that they have on their homes.

I have a 6 yr extended warranty. Mitchell claims no I don't despite paperwork showing it was included in my purchase price. Now 3 days later Mitchell cannot find my file with the 800# for the warranty. Claims not their problem that they left 2 holes behind my sealed in tub that has started collecting moisture and letting air come thru the access panel. Said maybe they made the holes so they could reach up and fix piping while being manufactured but not their problem. I cannot get anywhere with them.

I have filed a BBB complaint and am waiting. In the meantime, more moisture and damage is happening to my wall behind the tub and my sink cabinet that is connecting on the other side of wall where access panel is in molding and making me sick. Why does mobile home companies think they can get away with this? They even said that they have cancelled all warranty companies from their company. Hmm maybe because they have substandard quality and lie to people trying to make a home for themselves.

I bought a new home from Clayton in 2014. It was a high-end model and they had to build it. It cost more than some doublewides and is energy saver. First off I was rushed thru the process and once they sold the home the service department stink. They came out 4 times to fix a gap in front door and it is still not fixed and they waited till the warranty ran out. All they wanted was to sell the home and rush thru a phone call saying they came out on time.

The molding is falling off the walls and the cabinet doors fell off and it is leaking in the front door when it rains. The washer is no good. Trouble with refrigerator. House is literally falling apart and I am a single woman trying to support 4 people and is 62 years old. My credit was excellent and I traded in my older mobile home and paid a big down payment of $40,000 and this was part of my retirement. If anyone is looking to buy from Clayton don't you will be sorry. This house will never last 20 years like my other home.

So first let me say if I could give less than one star I would. We purchased an IRC modular home from Clayton of Denver in 2014. It is now 2 years later and I am constantly fixing things on my brand new house. From day one we have had nothing but issues with Clayton. We have had to fight to get them to come out and fix any warranty work and after they came out to fix it, it was broken worse than before. We eventually quit calling them and just fixed it ourselves. So first off one side of the house sits an inch and a half higher than the other side which is extremely visible from the inside looking at the ceiling (Clayton refuses to do anything about it). Our upgraded furnace has now been broken 4 times. 3 of which are a wiring issue that still isn't fixed. Our furnace drain was never ran to the outside so it drained into the belly insulation until it eventually burst and flooded our basement.

In the dead of winter, Clayton sent out their contractor who made it leak worse and would never return my phone calls. Had to fix it myself. Plumbing doesn't drain properly (Clayton set someone out to look at it but then never saw anyone again) still doesn't drain right. T connector on water lines to the washer and toilet were not crimped right and flooded my basement and master bath. I have yet to find anything in this house that is square. I have one wall that is almost an inch out of level (most likely cause by the house being set incorrectly). The structural I beam that supports the middle of my house is twisted and was not grouped in. I was standing on the basement one day and could see daylight between the house and the seal plate. Clayton did fix this. The list goes on and on.

We are a young couple and this is our first house. I would never recommend Clayton to anyone. We could have built a customer home for $10,000 more and I kick myself every day for not doing that. In all likelihood the house will become a chicken coup on my farm and we will have a quality home built right. Stay away from Clayton!

We bought a Clayton Modular home that was nine years old. Recently we were doing some remodeling. When we pulled up the subfloor to fix the creaking, we found live wires under the flooring. Just laying there. No wire caps or anything. Nice to know the people who build these houses are so worried about the lives of the people living in them.

We purchased our home in 2009. Since day one, we have had issues. My son was born a couple months after moving in. We had to have drywall redone and I had to confine myself in my room with a newborn with dust flying. We have holes in our wood floors from cigarettes dropping from installers. Door knobs falling off... That's just the minor stuff. We purchased a triple wide and made upgrades. We paid a large amount of money for this **! The day they attached the home, we overheard them say, it's not attaching right. We brought that to the attention of the people of Clayton. Nothing was done. Our gutters were falling apart because some crackhead was hired to install them then later they can't find him!

We are on our 10th leak in our roof and shingles fall off all the time! We contacted Clayton thinking there is a warranty on a roof... Nope! They told me I have to make an insurance claim. Insurance told me it was Clayton's fault. Again, nothing got done! We recently pulled up all carpet in bedrooms because of my son with allergies. They put the carpet on top of all the dust from the drywall! No wonder my child stayed sick! I also had to have sinus surgery from all the dust in this house! So if you think you need to buy a Clayton Home, DON'T DO IT!!!

Bought my home in 2015. Four months later trouble with a/c unit freezing up. Called and was told I was the problem that I didn't do proper filter change, molding began falling off. Was told I didn't get shelves in cabinet because I didn't order them. Can't get things fixed. Water running into windows. Middle house stays 74. My bedroom stays 89. Closets can get as hot as 94. Air around backdoor, door knobs falling off. After just one year toilet seat cracked in half. I only weight 124 lbs. Kitchen sink fell apart. Bathtub turned yellow within a month, surround not put in right. Floors squeaking. Air flowing under both bathtubs. Electrical problems, either outlets not working or coming completely out of wall. Hung two pictures on wall used toggle, and both fell making large holes in Sheetrock. Counter tops have four inch cracks with died proxy covering problem. Large bubbles in vinyl flooring.

Cabinets so low over bathroom sinks you have to turn your head to brush your teeth. Mold forming around backdoor. Sewer lines not hooked up properly. Front glass door never shuts. Was told things would be fixed but still waiting then told warranty ran out. Cannot understand that I had good credit, makes good money but interest rate over 9%. Why hasn't others gotten together for a lawsuit against this company, plus the finance company is part of company, so other options not gone through! I'm 53, stuck for 24 yrs in a single wide, falling apart after one year and payments of 700.00. Something needs to be done. This includes the seller of home, constant runaround, no callbacks, rude! Worst part, can't resale home because value is half of what I paid plus no one else will finance a Clayton single wide! Stuck in a Cracker Jack box with too damn many surprises!

We purchased a home with Clayton Homes of Charleston, SC in March of 2015. Our entire experience was rushed, we were new/young home buyers. First they told us that they could get someone to clear our land for really cheap. Well that person fell through and now we don't have a cleared yard, like we were originally told. Made a promise they couldn't keep and we have to deal with their lack of caring. Our loan amount was supposed to cover it. We had to fight with them to get things fixed and some things still aren't fixed correctly.

After living here for a few months, our roof started to leak. They "patched" the roof where it was leaking, but didn't even think to look at the rest of the roof or to see if there was mold growing. Our roof still leaks!!! These people are only concerned with getting your money. They obviously do not care about their customers or their reputation!

The steps that were put on the house are the wrong size. When asked about this I was told that they had already purged our file and didn't have the paperwork anymore. What company purges files so quickly?? And the steps, they are already falling apart! I regret even dealing with this company! If you're reading this, go with a different company. If they make things right, I will update this review.

We purchased our in August of last year. We've had nothing but problems with their service department ever since. Getting them to come out and see what needs to be done they just tell us we'll be out but they never show up. We've had problems with the trim in the kitchen and that problem is it's not there. They said a repair crew from North Carolina would be up here to do some and they would have take care of it. That was 9 months ago. I guess they must of broke down coming up here because they never showed up. We can't do it because we don't have the trim.

The appliances they gave us is nothing but junk. Hell I couldn't sell it because it doesn't work right. The flames on the stove are hard to adjust. The refrigerator keeps adjust the temp on its own. The washer wouldn't do a decent size load and they are Whirlpool. They never came back to finish touching up the paint. We had a water leak that they fixed 6 weeks later. The only good thing is its sales. They are nice enough they tell you everything you want to hear. I've had people ask me about buying a new home and I told them to stay away from Clayton. My wife and I wanted to spend our last few years in a home we wouldn't have to worry about. But I guess our golden years are nothing but nightmares.

Sales manager and manufacturer came out several times. ALWAYS (just cosmetic). Anything wrong was always the other guy's fault. Trim CONSTANTLY popping off from day one. Nail gun holes everywhere. Floor boards popping up squeaking. Doors not level in any room. Cabinet doors not level. Four knobs fixing to come off several doors. Signed papers on house 5/30/15 and still adding to problem list. You have a year of warranty and they will come in and "fix" problems. I called 2 weeks before year was up about for trim coming off again and some things manager in sales office promised to do. We had over 45 pictures of repairs needed. They couldn't make me an appointment and it would be a couple of weeks. Ha, we just got wrote off. Tired of fooling with us. No we haven't heard from them about last complaint. DON'T DO IT! NOT WITH CLAYTON! BAD REP!!! I just believed in giving people a chance and they were very charismatic.

I purchased a brand new 2012 16x80 mobile home from. Clayton Homes in Charleston West Virginia. I upgraded the windows, walls, floors. Thinking this would be a great choice. Here, in the past few months, every time it rains, water is coming through my walls, causing mildew throughout my house, ruining my carpet. I am completely sick, thinking I paid 50,000 for a home that is falling apart.

We signed our closing papers in Dec 2015 before any work done on land. We received house on March 5, 2016. We still are not in our home. Clayton Homes paid our first month mortgage but are refusing to pay anymore. It may take another 3 months. Should I get an attorney?

It was so bad that I almost had a heart attack. They lied from the time we walked in. We paid for upgrades and they put carpet that was worse than in the show homes. Promised to get us new carpet but just in master bedroom. House is not on cement slab and it already is coming apart. They fixed it once. Not good. The people that worked there all lost their jobs but they never made it right with us. So sad my blood pressure is still high. Don't believe anything they say. I guess they train them that way to be dishonest. They still owe us our money. We put up 500.00 plus interest. Can anyone help us or Clayton Homes make this right???

We were promised over and over that we would be moved into our new custom ordered manufactured home by the last week of December 2015. We didn't even sign papers to begin ordering the home and construction on the property until December 11, 2015. Our house was delivered to the property on December 2, 2016. That was after numerous changes to the floor plan because Clayton Homes kept messing the plans up. We said from day one we wanted a French door. It was delivered with a patio door. We had to fight to get the French door we wanted. We also custom ordered extra lights in both bathrooms. Both were messed up. We also ordered (and paid extra for) outlets on every exterior corner. We cannot use for much of anything without blowing a breaker.

Instead of being on their own breakers they are connected to the interior of the house. Such as entire sections, bedrooms and bathrooms, living room and hallways, kitchen and laundry rooms. Our foundation was not installed properly and now we have nothing but a house that is falling down around us. Almost all of our piers were loose within 6 months of living in it and they came and tightened them and added more bit since they have not fixed the foundation. According to the private home inspectors we have hired, it is just going to happen again. We had a crown in the living room marriage line that went away when they tightened the piers. But now we have ripples in our linoleum. The linoleum that we were told was high quality that you can't set any furniture on or it leaves a permanent dent in. Every wall has cracks in it.

The manufacturer Fleetwood sent Trent Case and his son out to do repairs. The taped and mudded a couple of the hundreds of cracks but got mad when we pointed out that they missed 99% of them. After that they just slapped some caulking over them or paint. I had already painted some rooms different colors and they just used generic paint. The house originally was on top of my custom paint even though I told them I had custom paint. They also replaced caulking that was falling off at the ridge line between wall and ceiling. They used a razor blade to cut the old stuff and just let it fall down. That included falling onto my floor, furniture, plants, and into my open turtle tank filled with water. They also had to regrout in bathrooms and kitchen. There was grout all over the tiles and the counters left for me to clean up.

Due to me being a disabled veteran we had been told beforehand that they would take care of all cleaning and moving of furniture. That was not the case. And after they left they wrote up a work order and lied to Fleetwood complaining that we would not help them with cleaning or moving furniture. The kitchen sink, bathroom faucet have not been puttied. Window sills are coming apart and windows do not close. Walls are not plumb and are shifting (due to foundation). Door trims are coming apart and doors no longer shut properly or will not open (including front door). Glass was missing out of peephole on back door. Carpet was not tacked down to tack strip and within 3 months already needed to be stretched out. We paid extra for combination smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in every room.

We now have only 1 combination alarm and the rest are just cheap smoke alarms. They have been replaced 3 times because they have been wired wrong and go off almost every night. We have not been refunded for having been given cheaper alarms. We have a metal roof. The metal is twisting and lifting up and screws are falling out due to the shifting foundation. Missing screws means empty holes to allow rain and snow and other moisture which will cause mold. They have refused to fix it. In places you can see daylight between pieces of the metals. We have never asked for more than what we paid for more. We have been met with opposition and flat out refusal and plain rudeness and nothing but a bunch of lies from day one. They promised us a dream home. Instead they gave us the worst experience of our lives and a nightmare of a house (I can't even begin to call it a home).

Down payment kept going up. Been in this trailer for about 4 months. The work on this home is a joke like it was thrown together. Things don't line up. Trim popping loose, gaps, just a shifty built home. They want their money on time. Well I wanted what we paid for. Vanderbilt is very rude. Clayton Homes needs to be sued. They are a con package. I'm ready to walk away from these people and take my loss because I really don't have nothing worth paying what they want. My 72 trailer was in better shape. Wished I'd thought about looking at the reviews because I'd rather be homeless than live in a place that's already falling apart. All the hard earned money gone to hell. They definitely have a racket going on. If this place is huddle approved then had needs to step in. They need to be bankrupted and close their scam housing down. Very disheartening.

Expert Review

Joseph TruiniHome Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.    More about Joseph→

Clayton Homes was founded in 1956 and specializes in affordable, quality-built modular and manufactured homes. It offers floor plans for a wide variety of home sizes and styles.​

• Different building methods: Clayton builds traditional site-built homes, modular homes, manufactured homes and tiny houses.
  • Offers trade-ins: Customers can trade in their current home for a new manufactured home in order to save on costs.
  • Homes with basements are available: Clayton Homes can be ordered with a full basement.
  • Model homes available in most locations: Users can visit a Clayton Home Center to see model homes or set up a tour.
  • Environmentally friendly: Clayton has received an ISO (International Organization for Standardization) certification for green building standards.
  • Customizable options: Homebuyers with specific needs can get a custom-built home.
  • Best for Clayton Homes is best for people on a budget, buyers with time constraints and people with special needs.

Compare Builders & Developers