Call toll free
4.60/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1956, Clayton Homes has been helping families build happiness through homeownership. We are committed to providing affordable, quality homes with a diverse range of builder offerings. Our homes include traditional, modular, tiny and manufactured homes, as well as apartments, military barracks and college dormitories. We are recognized as an innovator in our industry and pride ourselves on our integrity and reputation. Contact Clayton Homes today to own your own slice of the world to call home.

Clayton Homes Gallery (4)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1223 Clayton Homes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

My husband and I were looking for a place and we were trying to find something as quick as possible because we were living with family. I was going through Facebook and saw a trailer. I told my husband about it and gave him the number of the guy from Clayton Homes. He informed us of a few different trailers that he had around the area. We went and looked at them and we picked one over here at Oak Crest. After we picked it, we went up there, talked to him, tried to get approved, but we didn’t get approved for that amount. We got approved for a lower amount. So, we came home, I started looking online for trailers and I found one that we really liked. I asked them if we could make it work and then we continued with the process. It was pretty quick. The rep made everything really, really easy. He gave us his cellphone number and told us to just let him know if we had any questions.

We love our home, but there has been a few things that we’ve noticed. It seems like one side of our house is higher than the other, like it wasn’t leveled. But it could be because we’re not on a concrete foundation. Also, one side of our house stays cooler than the other. So, the side where our laundry room and our kitchen is stays cold, but the side with the bedroom is not. That’s one thing that’s upsetting about it. We’ve met somebody in the neighborhood that bought from Clayton too and we’ve gone and hung out at her house, and my husband and I felt like our home was just thrown together as quick as it could’ve been. It's like her house is Michael Kors, and we went to Walmart and grabbed a purse.

All of her cabinets have shelves in them, they’re all finished and the insides are all soft and smooth. We have shelves in our top cabinet, but in our bottom cabinets there aren’t any. I also had to go buy the sticky liner to put inside of our doors and cabinets because it looked like pressed particle board was just thrown in there. But I recommend Clayton Homes to people. I’ve seen several of their homes and they are great homes. It was just looking at ours and at a friend's house, and we saw the little differences. There could’ve been some extra finishing touches done on this home.

Clayton Homes response

Kortany, thank you SO much for the detailed feedback! We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us and all of the details about your home. We're so glad to hear that overall you love the home and that your home buying process went smoothly. We're going to follow up regarding some of the issues you're experiencing and see if there are any options. Someone will be in touch with you shortly!

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I was very satisfied with the home-buying process at Clayton, as well as with the way the consultant communicated with me. Everybody was really nice and very helpful. They made it easy to get the home.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for the positive review, Brenda! We're so glad to hear everything went so well!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Over a period of 4 months while living out of state we communicated via email. The sales rep was asked numerous times in writing to make sure to include ALL Fees associated with having a home delivered and set up in Terra Mar in Edgewater Florida. We were "Guaranteed" it would not exceed $15,000 for the entire process. Having never purchased a manufactured home we relied on his expertise, BIG MISTAKE! The actual fees exceeded $46,000. Which included some government fees which we understand but these all should have been disclosed.

Here is the best part. Just got a voice mail from the rep now handling this via his General manager. Their answer to solve problem "buy a cheaper single wide" instead of the double wide we had picked out so our numbers would line up... Wow. Unfortunately our only recourse is to let people know to steer clear of this company... BAD BUSINESS.

Clayton Homes response

Jeff, we're so sorry to hear about your experience. A member of our Customer Advocacy Team at our corporate office will be in touch with you directly for more information on your situation. Thanks for bringing this to out attention!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I highly recommend Clayton Homes. Their service is excellent and I’d prefer friends go to them. The person I worked with in purchasing the home was really good. Everything went along fine according to the way they said the whole setup is. As far as delivery, I was really pleased with the whole scenario. I love my Clayton home.

Clayton Homes response

That's great, Michael! We appreciate you taking the time to tell us how well your experience went! We're so glad that you were so pleased with the whole scenario. Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

My home broke down after the Hurricane Harvey and so I was in need of another one. I was looking for a used home, however, there wasn't any and everybody had gotten damages from the hurricane. Also, we were looking in the Houston area and nobody had one that I could afford. My daughter and I drove by Clayton Homes and met David. He was very nice, helpful, and constantly kept in touch with me. And even now, whenever I have something that I’m not satisfied with, I would just call him and get him pictures, and he would try to make stuff happen by me, ‘cause I do have to work. I even had some problems but they would take care of it.

The house is a little bit different from the home that I had. It could have been a little bit bigger, as well as the cabinet space. My other home had a pantry and this one doesn't have. However, the house is very efficient on my light bill. I haven’t had a high light bill since I’ve been here. In my old home, my light bill stayed almost at $370. I felt like I got a good deal from Clayton. I live in a flood zone and I got the house put up to the height that I needed. I got my porch put on, skirting, and all of that. I like my house.

Clayton Homes response

We're so happy to hear that you like your home, Marjorie! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We're glad to hear that the home buying process went smoothly and that you enjoyed working with David. Your feedback regarding the design elements of your new home are beneficial for us as well, and we will pass these along to our Home Building Group. Congratulations on your new home!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clayton Homes?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

We looked up Clayton Homes on the internet when we were looking for homes and they were closest to us. Our finances were right so we purchased a new home and we were very satisfied with the quick process. Ashley and April were great. They were right on anything we had to answer or any calls we had to call there. We like the way the home is and we've noticed savings in our utility bills. I recommend Clayton.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for the positive feedback, Ashley! We're so pleased to hear that your home buying experience went so well! It's great that you enjoyed working with Ashley and April as well, we'll be sure to pass along your praises to their team! Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

When we decided to start looking at mobile homes, we looked everywhere that was close and Clayton Homes had a clean lot overall. They had very nice, helpful, kind and very welcoming people. They had what we were looking for, which was at a good price right off the bat. We continued to look after that, but compared back everywhere we went to Clayton, which stayed on the top of our list.

We had several consultations with Clayton's reps, talking about different things and it all went fine. They explained how the homes were built and how they were insulated. They told me everything I needed to know and I haven't run into any surprises. I didn’t feel misled on anything or any kind of high-pressure sales. They answered our questions and told us stuff that we hadn't thought to ask about yet. Working with their people there, we were really pleased from start to finish.

We got the home we wanted and, as it turned out, we also dealt with a good local business. We've had the home for less than a year, but so far, we're very pleased with it. I'd tell friends to go to Hot Springs and see if Clayton has a home that they want and that they'll feel good about dealing with the people there. I'd also tell them that they can trust Clayton.

Clayton Homes response

We're so thrilled to hear that everything went so well, Jeff! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. It's so great that you're happy with both your home and your home buying experience. We're also very happy to know that you trust us enough to send your friends to us!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I was gonna stop and take a look at some of the homes in Kentucky that were on the lot and I didn’t see anything there that I wanted to buy. When I went back home to Ohio and went to another lot, I talked to one of Clayton Homes' sales representatives there and they told me that they could custom-build me one. I started out in Marion, Ohio but it was then put in in West Virginia so they switched me over to another manager, Rich, from Barboursville, West Virginia. He's worked with me intensively in getting everything the way I wanted it. I bought the home and paid cash for it up front so I was pretty particular about what I wanted.

I had a full fireplace put in the living room and a half fireplace put in the den. I had the living room, the den, four bedrooms, and everything with laminate wood flooring. I also upgraded switches, roofing, insulation, colors, the cabinetry, the kitchen, stainless steel appliances and everything that I could get. I was pretty adamant about the building's construction process. Whenever I asked for certain things, their rep was on the phone, back and forth with the factory reps to see if what I wanted could be done. It was about the six-inch outer walls, the thicker, better floor joists, and the energy-saving insulation.

I'm satisfied with my new home other than a little bit of finish up work they have to do. I've got a cracked window that's gotta be replaced and they ran out of some of my baseboard. It's small details and nothing major. I'm really happy with my new home because of the help and the information, plus they let me get on and take a factory tour while it was being built which was great. It's like a model home. When we get set up here, I'll probably even have people come in and be able to look at it.

Clayton Homes response

Wow! That's so great to hear, Mark! We're so glad to hear that Rich and our Barboursville team was able to take such good care of you! It's great that you were able to customize your home and get it to be just exactly what you wanted and needed. How neat that you also got to tour a facility, aren't they impressive? We'll follow up on the repairs you're still needing and someone will be in touch. Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

My brother-in-law was going through Clayton Homes and he recommended them to us. Our home consultant, Cindy, was great and knowledgeable. She helped us find the home that really fit our budget and that was right for the size. We originally picked out a home and after we got everything back, she helped us figure out which home was really best for us, and we didn't have any trouble at all. Everything has been fine as far as the quality. We had a breaker issue and another issue with the actual manufacturer, True Homes, but they were quick to fix it.

The only negative thing with Clayton Homes is the timeframe, but that’s just how it works. You can’t buy a home in 48 hours, which would be nice, but Clayton Homes was always ready to take the phone call and answer any questions that we had. When I walked in, Cindy was always available for me. She would always get right back to me in a phone call, usually the same day unless she had to wait on somebody else to get something. Also, it was nice having a personal touch. In her interactions with our family and kids, she really got everything memorized, so it was nice. She handled herself very well. I had no bad experience with Clayton and I would definitely recommend them.

Clayton Homes response

We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed working with Cindy! It's great to know that your home buying experience went smoothly and that she was right there by your side throughout the process. It's also good to know that the your manufacturing issues were resolved quickly. Congratulations on your new home, Adam!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I worked in Waynesville and I pass by Clayton Homes' location every day. There was somebody always there and they answered all my questions. Their reps spent time with me when the local provider was never there and didn't act like they cared if I bought anything or not. At Clayton, I was very satisfied with the home-buying process as a whole and I found it pretty easy. Their reps were very knowledgeable and I understood everything.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, Elizabeth! We're glad to hear that everything went smoothly and that you were satisfied! Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

We're really satisfied with the home buying process at Clayton Homes as well as with their representative. They were easy to work with. Everything that we’ve asked or anything has been taken care of immediately. They were very helpful and very knowledgeable and answered every question I had. We sat down and they gave me everything that they had or all the information I needed. As far as the application, it took just a few days and it was pretty easy. Clayton made it a lot easier for me to get into a new place to live. They made it a simple process. I received the house after about a week and a half and I love the actual home. It was an all-around good experience and I highly recommend them.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for the positive feedback, Aaron! It's great to hear that your experience went so well! We appreciate that you'd highly recommend us as well! Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Clayton Homes was one of the first places I went to when I started getting interested in a mobile home. I went to several places later, and I was really impressed with Clayton Homes. When I walked in there, I had no idea what I was looking for. The consultant was patient with me. We went through everything, and I was just real pleased with it. The salesman, the home, and the way it was built were impressive. I love the home I am in now. Everything's convenient. I’ve had a couple of minor things, and they’d come out and fixed it real quick. They have done a professional job.

Clayton Homes response

That's great to hear, Arlie! We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your home buying experience. We're flattered that you are so impressed with everything! That's exactly what we strive for. Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I worked with Clayton Homes in the past and my experience with them was all good. Denise, the consultant, is good at what she does. She's done it for years and I always liked her. She knows the process well. Clayton Homes let me finance my down payment, and I paid it over seven months. And then after that, they closed it out. If you want Clayton Homes, go get them.

Clayton Homes response

That's so great to hear, Jimmy! We're so happy to know you enjoyed working with Denise! We appreciate you recommendation and you taking the time to share your experience with us!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I liked Clayton Homes' application process. They didn’t push me into anything. I made my own decisions, what I wanted to do, and when I wanted to fill the application out. I like doing that instead of going through the door, signing the application and being pushed over. My home consultant had a good sense of humor and he played but when I told him to get to business, he got to the business.

I really liked that Clayton Homes explained the installation really well. If I had any questions, I just asked them. If I didn’t understand what they were talking about, they stopped and explained to me exactly what they were talking about further on. Working with Clayton Homes made everything a lot easier. We're living in a nice home for $800 a month, and we bought it from Clayton instead of renting. Go with Clayton Homes. They are the fastest. They take care of their customers and the customers are number one.

Clayton Homes response

Wow! We appreciate the kind words, Gregory! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us! We're so glad to hear that you had such a good working relationship with your home consultant. We're also very glad to hear that you're enjoying your home and that you'd recommend us!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

It was getting too expensive to rent in my town and I saw Clayton Homes. We picked a house and got what we wanted. The reps were always good and we love our house. Everything is way better than what I used to live in. Clayton is a good way to get a home and I've recommended it a couple of times.

Clayton Homes response

Congratulations on becoming a homeowner, Mary! We're so glad to hear that everything went so well. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

We had a great interaction with the Clayton Homes representative. Their level of knowledge is up there and I was approved in a couple of weeks. Clayton Homes had a good impact in my life and they got me a house now. I had a great buying experience and I recommended them to a few people. They're a very good company to go look for a house. The home was good and I have no problem with it.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for choosing Clayton and letting us make a good impact on your life, Damon! We're so happy to hear that everything went so well and that you're happy with your home and your home buying experience. Congratulations on your new house!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I've known Clayton Homes for a long time and because they have what I liked on the lot and the price is right, I have decided to go with them. The reps have been good and they've tried to keep up with all the customers and their requests. It's a very big job but they're doing their best. I worked with a rep and I would tell him what my problems were and he would resolve everything. He told me that he was gonna be with me through the whole process from beginning to end but I felt like he got sidetracked with so many other customers and so many other deals. I had to talk to whoever answered the phone and I didn't have any one person who followed me all the way through.

Now, I am given the electrician who also does a lot of work. I talked with him the most than he did doing official work for me 'cause there wasn't a lot of problems and the home was up to snuff. I also dealt with someone who works for Clayton who hired a guy and left him here to do a job that he couldn't do right. He also told me he was gonna get back to me in two weeks but he didn't. I have to persuade him to come on and get the work done as soon as possible.

I'm satisfied with the overall home buying process. My daughter had a terrible deal with one individual so that made me really appreciate Clayton more because I can see that they were really there for me more than they were for her. They're all trustworthy and honest people and that's all I can ask for. They're dedicated to treating people right and trying to put them in a satisfactory home. Overall, my experience with them has been good.

Clayton Homes response

Barbara, we're glad to hear that your experience was good overall. Your feedback is very important to us and we thank you for taking the time to share it with us. We also appreciate you sticking with us even when things got busy at the Home Center!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Mona did a pretty good job explaining everything to us. She was very patient with us, and she communicated very well. We heard from her every day on what was going on, what was needed, and she just made it really, really simple for us. From the install to everything was great. We love the quality of our home so far. Clayton Homes do what they say they would do, and we’ve told several people about our experience.

Clayton Homes response

That's great to hear, Kevin! We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed working with Mona and that she did such a great job for you! It's also great to hear that you love the quality of your home as well. Thank you so much for letting us know!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Updated on 11/07/2018: We went out to our home this morning and 2 men were there getting ready to install the siding. YAY (sarcasm). Went in the house to do another 'walk thru' and those men wore their muddy shoes into my new home and on my new carpet. The 'trim' guy who was there the day before did not finish, he lacked one little piece of strip on the carpet at the bathroom door, HOWEVER he left a HUGE lump in the middle of the hallway floor. Has to be redone, no question. He 'repaired' the crack in the living room ceiling but the crack is still there.

The closets were left HORRIBLY undone and just plain unpainted and definitely NOT what we picked out for our walls. The kitchen cabinets are uneven and missing pieces so that it looks like they took OLD cabinets out of someone else home and put them in ours. My husband text Nate (manager of Clayton Homes in Cleveland TN) requesting a meeting at our home and Nate's response was that he would call my husband in tomorrow.

The siding guys were off on the left side about 3-4" HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN? the home is level, they also didn't complete the job and left a giant spot uncovered. I tried to call the lady who called us yesterday and report all of this but reached a department that had nothing to do with this review or the follow up call I did receive. One call. If I can upload all of these pictures, I will. Someone needs to see this... I'm at the point of no return on this.

Updated on 11/06/2018 : It got worse!!!! After my initial review I received a call, promised a callback today and NOTHING. We were able to walk into our home and look it over and OMG it’s a complete disaster! Unfinished closets, missing strips, nicks, dings, someone destroyed my kitchen sink and the only other ones in there were trim and set up guys. The kitchen cabinets look like some kind of paper was stuck to them and not a good job at all doing it, where the busted pieces off of it they tried to paint/color over to hide it.

A huge crack in the ceiling, shower door won’t close, bedroom door don’t close, bathroom door won’t close. Sliding glass is off so bad you can’t latch or lock it. Something has stained my kitchen floor and there are scuffs on the wall. Trim crew wore muddy shoes in my house...filthy carpets to add. And the siding was started today and it’s so unlevel it’s shameful! The floors squeak and pop like crazy. Oh and the caulking??? OMG. A kid could’ve done a better job. I’m beyond upset now!

Original: Hello. This is our experience, still in progress: In August 2018 my husband settled a personal injury case and we had cash to pay for a home. We chose Clayton Homes in Cleveland, Tn because it was close to us. We visited several lots/homes and chose a Tradition 52B. We paid CASH in full for this home and during this whole process we heard from realtors and past customers that Clayton Homes would set your home on your property and leave it for months. I did not believe it. Man... did they make a believer out of me!

The sales rep was sometimes borderline rude when asking questions about our home, she once told me to tell the contractor to 'not worry about when the house was going to be on the lot, she'd let us know' then said 2-3 weeks. The home arrived the very next day. After we had the pad finished, we had PERFECT sunny weather for 9 days straight. Then it rained hard for 2 solid days. Guess when they brought the home out? That's right, in the slop and mud and set it there, ruining a section of our pad (it was solid mud at this point) and messing up the yard we'd already put grass seed on.

Fast forward (joke) to last week, they came out... When? Of course, the day after it stormed and set the front side of the house on blocks. DESTROYING our driveway and the side yard. We spent 1,000 on rock and another 250.00 in paid labor to help get it the way we wanted and now I can't get my Camaro down my OWN driveway. NO ONE has said a peep about fixing it either. Two days later they were out to attach the other half and block it up. That was LAST Monday, 10/29/2018 and the trimmers FINALLY came out Friday 11/2/2018 after 3 p.m. (when we were told, promised even, that they would be there 10/30/2018) and did very little work and they disappeared. No one showed up over the weekend at all.

ALL this time I was in constant contact with our sales rep. She told us everything we wanted to hear and then finally told us that they only have but ONE (1) crew to set up and ONE (1) crew to trim and more homes than just ours to construct. This was NOT what we expected as we were told after our home was on our property that it would be 2-3 weeks at the most and then we could move in. We've paid RENT 3 months now that we've owned a paid in full home, if you think for one second this is 'okay' and 'good business' yall are WRONG. At the VERY least I want my driveway FIXED so I can drive my car in and out. We don't have the money to invest in it again. Yall ought to be ashamed. Seriously.

Also, there is a HUGE popping sound walking from the kitchen into the master bedroom and I bet it's not fixed, along with the HUGE crack in the ceiling. Clayton homes are beautiful. Clayton Homes reps are no better than a used car salesman. Clayton Homes reps will tell you exactly what you want to hear UP to the day your home is set on your property. Then they don't give a care. Clayton Homes destroys your drive and yard and doesn't care. Clayton Homes can't keep contractors employed for some unknown reason. Clayton Homes needs to pay me 500.00 or fix my driveway. Clayton Homes needs to pay me at least 650.00 for 2 months rent (prorated) I should not have had to pay. Let's see if I get the typical "We're sorry" response...

Clayton Homes response

Hi Kathleen, thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. A member of our Customer Advocacy Team is going to look into your situation and then will be in touch with you.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

There's a Clayton Homes dealership right down the road from my office, and I had seen the mobile home over there. I went in there and told the salesman what I needed, and he said, "I've got what you need." We went out and looked at it. It had a handicapped-accessible bathroom and a walk-in shower, which were two of the things I was looking for. He was very knowledgeable. He knew what he could do and what his bosses will do or allow him to do as far as pricing is concerned. I couldn’t have asked for a better fellow to work with. The process was streamlined and as painless as it could be.

I bought the home for my mother-in-law who is 90, and we had to have it pre-built and the power running, and the sewer system installed. From start to finish, it took a month but 95% of that was my time as opposed to theirs. Clayton had the house in stock and they were ready to deliver it the next day after we paid for it, but I wasn’t ready for it. They left it sitting out on the lot, and when I was ready, I called them and they delivered it the next day.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us, Robin! We're so glad to hear that your home buying experience went so smoothly and that you were able to get exactly what your mother in law needed.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

The process at Clayton Homes wasn’t bad. The one thing we had to deal with was a certain lender that kept losing our paperwork over and over again. Clayton did their job perfectly, but the lender we went through kept asking for more money. But Clayton helped us through it. Brian helped us find deals throughout the whole process so we wouldn’t have to shell out so much money in the long run. They're reliable and hardworking employees. We wanted a new type of home and I love the fact that ours is in a cul-de-sac. We're in a new development area that's nice and quiet, and the open floor plan is fantastic.

Clayton Homes response

That's so wonderful to hear, David! Your home and its location sound amazing! Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your experience. We're so glad everything went well. Congratulations on your new house!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Clayton Homes had a better deal than the other companies. They made the home-buying super easy and convenient. Their home-buying process was simple and their people were easy to work with. Also, the application process was very straightforward. Interacting with my home consultant was easy. It was on a personal basis. I could call him with any questions or concerns I had, and he did a great job. I would recommend Clayton Homes to anybody. They were able to explain everything to where I could understand it. They knew what they were talking about, too.

Clayton Homes response

We're so happy to hear that James! We aim to simplify the home buying process as much as possible since it can be so complicated. It sounds like your home consultant did a great job of that! Thank you so much for telling us about your home buying experience and congratulations on your new home!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I've been completely satisfied with Clayton Homes' service. It took longer for them to get the house built but it didn’t take long for the application to be completed. The representative was very good and cooperative. Rafael, the man who comes out to fix all the odds and ends that needed to be fixed is very polite and efficient. If there was a problem, I call Clayton Homes and they put it on the ticket, and then Rafael comes out and fixes it. The only time I've had to wait was when we had so much rain. It rained for about 10 days here and they couldn’t get to me. But other than that, they're just right on the ball. Since I moved from Abilene out to Clyde, it’s been a great experience. I live next-door to my grandson and across the street from my son, and both of them have Clayton Homes.

Clayton Homes response

Dora, thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us! We'll be sure to pass along your praises of Rafael! How wonderful that you're able to live so close to your family! We're so happy to have all of you as part of our Clayton family. Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Another mobile home company turned me away and when I was looking online if there were used mobile homes, I saw Clayton Homes. The page came up and I tried to read but I messed up. I couldn’t get it back so I went out there. Doug, the rep, didn’t let me go until the application was filled out and sent for approval. He tried hard and it was like he was trying to get a home for himself. However, the amount I was approved for me was not enough for our home to be moved in the city limits. I had an inheritance and I called so they sent me some of my inheritance and I got the home. I was very satisfied with the process and Doug helped me through everything. Now, he’s working with my daughter. I worked with the whole staff too and they treated me like they have known me for years. I love them and my home.

Clayton Homes response

How wonderful, Jacqueline! We loved reading your review! It's so great to hear that the whole team went above and beyond for you. We're so glad that your home buying experience went so well, and we appreciate that your daughter also chose Clayton!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I liked Clayton's houses as well as the gentleman who I dealt with. Also, the people at Clayton Homes were fantastic to work with and were always very nice, cheerful and helpful. I talked to them several times and they answered my questions. When I would go over to look at the house then come home and think of another question, I could call them and they always had the time to talk to me. Overall, I am very satisfied with the home buying process. I also love the quality of the home.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you, Marsha! We found your review to be very nice, cheerful, and helpful! We're so glad to hear everything went so well and you're satisfied with both the home buying process and the quality of the home. Congratulations on your new house!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

The service at Clayton Homes was great. The lady rep helped me real good. She sat down with me and told me everything, and went through the home and the credit process with me. I've been in the home a couple of weeks now and I love it. I've sent a couple of people who have been looking and trying to find a home to Clayton.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for your compliments, Elbert! We love that you love your home! We're also very flattered that you've sent a couple people to us, thank you! Congratulations on your new house!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

We had a double lot on our property and, after the hurricane, we were able to pull it out and pay cash for a home to replace the one we had. We were going with a different company but the lady we were dealing with was terrible. And so, we ended up going with Clayton, where everybody that we met was wonderful. Our salesperson was David and their head was Drex, and they hooked us up with their thing. However, they should be a bit more informative upfront and have a list for the homeowners with everything that has to be done like getting water and the permit. Not having bought a mobile home before, we got the trailer and moved, and then a constable knocked on my door and told me that my house was too close to the road and it was not permitted.

I love my five-bedroom Clayton home and the people at Clayton were really good to get out there and put the wood siding awning then get it painted to match the house. However, we haven't been able to get anything fixed. I got places on the floor that creaks, the master bathroom shower feels bumpy and the beam across the ceiling that holds the fan is starting to bow. They told me to make a whole list of things that were damaged. There are a million things, though, and I would have been happy if they would come and check it.

Clayton's service department, where Jennifer is concerned, has been terrible. When we first moved in, I made a list, and there was a hole in the bottom of the main hallway. It was there before we moved, and I was told it would be fixed. They’ve come out five times, but they never brought sheetrock and never got that hole fixed. We also had a crack in the ceiling that went through the whole length of the dining room. They fixed that one but it caused another hairline crack so I sent some pictures and I got nothing done. The front screen door was broken as well and they got it working, but I was told that it was going to be replaced. And then, the trim on all my windows are busted up. We're supposed to seal the windows and I told them that I was fixing to call somebody else for that. One time, I had rain running in there. After the hurricane, I know what the water did to my other house and I don’t want that.

They couldn’t install the carpet in the back, too. They ordered a piece but it wasn’t big enough. They said that they’re gonna replace the square in the middle, but then the hallway would have two different carpets. They never fixed that and I still don’t have my carpet in the hallway. I also have to keep a runner on top of the seam in the back between the three bedrooms because it won’t seal. Maybe the steamer was too hot when they tried to seal it or it got too stretched. But actually, I think the carpet was on the showroom and was walked on enough. Some of those carpets look a little worn, but it’s fine.

Also, they damaged the eave when they put it together. They came to fix it but they never put the 45 up there to seal the roof on each side. So, that was open. Then they kept sending people to fix something, but they had no equipment. They came out five times and it took around four months before they fixed it. They also told me that they didn’t have any supplies in when they came out to fix my ceiling. They put in old and rotty insulation up there, which I am not happy about. They were supposed to be out like a month ago and they never showed up, and they didn’t even call. My husband is frustrated about that as well. These are issues with whoever is doing the organizing and getting people out to fix nothing.

The service department is making Clayton look bad. They say a lot of things but they don’t get anything done. And though Drex is on top of it, if he can't tell his sales people to make sure this gets done and he doesn’t make sure it gets done, then something is wrong with the service team. Overall, I love my trailer. I just wish they'll fix the things they said they would.

Clayton Homes response

Brenda, we appreciate your detailed feedback regarding your home and your home buying experience. We are going to follow up with your Home Center and your Home Building Facility on the issues you've had. A member of our Customer Advocacy Team at corporate will also be in touch with you. We're happy that you're satisfied with your home, but it sounds like there is a lot of room for improvement. Thank you so much for sharing.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

We were right next to Clayton Homes where we used to live and when our contract was gonna end, we ended up with them. They already had a home set up and they would also set up the destination. I was satisfied with the buying process and I haven't had any problems. All the people who worked there helped me out to get everything settled down. They updated me in every way when I was trying to get everything situated and I have no complaints. The quality of my home is good and I love it.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for letting us know, Edwin! We love hearing that your home buying experience went so well and that you have no complaints! Congratulations on the new house!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

We ordered our home in June 2017 from Clayton Homes of Cookeville TN, signed the paperwork on 7-14-17 and it was delivered to our property in August 2017. We moved in on 8-31-17. It went downhill from there. We had several small issues that needed to be repaired/replaced including bubbles in the ceiling, exterior doors not sealing properly when closed, dishwasher not secured properly, interior doors not closing properly and some minor other stuff, but all was fixed. Mind you, all repairs done by Clayton Home's contractors. EVERY contractor left their garbage including nails and screws in our driveway and around our house. Each time a contractor came to repair something, I was left to clean up their mess for an hour or more.

Then the first major issue. The roof cap blew off - completely. It was found that the contractor did not put it on properly. It was fixed in about a week. Second major issue. The skirting blew out in several places - both sides and the back of the house. It was found that the contractor did not install it properly or secure it. This was "repaired". The skirting blew out again. It is still not repaired. Third major issue. The siding had major bubbles in it between windows on the front and the back of the house. This was "repaired" twice. The siding on the front of the house still has major bubbles. It looks like a drunk person put it up while on a boat in major tidal waves.

Fourth and worst issue of all. We have been having a major dust and dirt problem in our house. We dusted, swept, and mopped twice a week, and it still looked like we hadn't cleaned for months. My husband, who rarely gets sick, has been sick 3 times this year. The last time, putting him in the hospital for 9 days with double pneumonia - 6 of those days were spent in the ICU. I myself, rarely get sick, until now. I have had respiratory problems for over a month now. Coughing constantly, having a hard time breathing and unable to sleep well due is my life right now. Our 1 year old grandson develops allergies and a skin rash when he comes over to our house. Our daughter's asthma intensifies when she is here. Our son-in-law also has allergy problems when visiting. My 13 year old son gets sick with a cold or allergies every time he is at our house.

We had an HVAC professional come to our house on to 10-30-18 to look over the HVAC unit and entire system. He found the ends of the ductwork (4 total) to all have damage. There were holes, rips, tears in all of them. It was letting all the dirt, dust, bacteria and mold into our home. There was a hole in the floor under the inside unit where dust and dirt was coming in. It didn't matter what kind of air filter we had, because the dirt is just bypassing it. The outside main unit was only placed on a plastic platform without having a rock base. Our whole HVAC unit was trash, and we are getting sick because of it.

Now this is harsh. The same day we had the HVAC look at our system, we contacted Clayton Homes of Cookeville. This is serious. The is affecting our HEALTH! We were told they would come out and look at the skirting and the siding and see what could be done. Huh? What about the HVAC system? Was no one going to help us with the issues causing us respiratory and skin problems? We sent pictures that the HVAC pro took that clearly showed extreme excessive dust and damage to the ductwork. The HVAC pro even talked with Chris ** at Clayton Homes of Cookeville and TOLD HIM HOW BAD IT WAS AND HOW IT IS AFFECTING OUR HEALTH! On 10-31-18, Chris ** told us he sent all the pics and emails from us to the manufacturer and they would contact us. Chris told us he himself and his service manager would come out and look at the siding and the skirting the following day.

Today, 11-01-18, only Chris came out to look at the siding and skirting. I showed him all the areas of the skirting that was blown out. He said it just needed to be replaced. I TOLD HIM it ALL needed to be tore out and redone, because the first 2 times it wasn't done right! It will not hold if it isn't secured properly. He did not say a word about that. Then I showed him the siding on the front of the house where there were still bubbles and waves. He said the original "repair" was to the back of the house. I corrected him and said "no, this is the repair job your contractors did TWICE!" I told Chris that it needed to be taken down and redone for a 3rd time!

Fast forward to the afternoon. My husband received a call from the service manufacturer from Appalachian. He told my husband he received the pics and the "damage wasn't that bad". Are you kidding me! We are breathing in copious amounts of dust, dirt, bacteria and mold each and every day! My husband asked that he contact me, since I was at home. My husband gave him my cell phone number and the house phone number. The name of the service manager at Appalachian is Jerry ** by the way. So I waited an hour and didn't receive a call from Jerry, so I called him. No answer, so I left a voicemail. Jerry still has not contacted me. So here I am, deep cleaning my house again with a mask on, hoping that I can get enough dirt and dust out of our home. It takes 6+ hours just to clean the main living areas.

I am not waiting to die from suffocation of this nasty home because some jerk from the manufacturer and another jerk from Clayton Homes decides when they should "do something" about their major screw ups. So, here is the bottom line. If you have already bought a home from Clayton Homes, check your HVAC system including the ductwork. If you are thinking about buying a home, go somewhere else. So far, Clayton Homes of Cookeville and Appalachian will not make this right...until a judge tells them. I'm not waiting to be diagnosed with COPD or having to bury my husband due to double pneumonia. You aren't worth it!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Our home was paid in cash, a home that is over $100K. The house was delivered back in October 28, 2017. Yes, that was a year ago and guess what, the house is not 100% done. We had the Texas Housing Department involved and made a claim to BBB but still waiting. When can someone come and complete this house. They keep saying that we will have someone. Last time they said in 3 weeks they will send someone and that was 2 months ago? We even have the corporate office involved but still nothing. My suggestion is that if you guys are short in manpower, do not sell the homes yet! Complete the houses that are pending. I have talked to someone who also bought a home from you who is still waiting after a year.

Please, try to think, if this is your home, what are you gonna do? We are all customers by the end of the day and why are we treated this way? We have always been patient, so patient by I don't why this house has not been finished 100%. I know you guys are probably tired of hearing our complaints but you also have to think that we are the customer and we feel worse than what you do. I will get the housing department involved again here in the state and this time I will send a letter to the capital in Washington. There is a room here now that is painted with totally different shades and it is a mess. No one has came back since May. I just could not believe that we are treated this way.

Clayton Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

Clayton Homes specializes in affordable, quality-built modular and manufactured homes. It offers floor plans for a wide variety of home sizes and styles, from tiny homes to 4 bedroom houses.​ Their homes are all designed and manufactured in the United States.

• Range of home types: Clayton builds traditional site built homes, modular homes, manufactured homes and tiny houses.

• Offers trade-ins: Customers can trade in their current home for a new manufactured home in order to save on costs.

• Homes with basements are available: Clayton Homes can be ordered with a full basement.

• Model homes available in most locations: Users can visit a Clayton Home Center to see model homes or set up a tour. Visit their website to find a home center near you.

• Environmentally friendly: Clayton has received an ISO (International Organization for Standardization) certification for green building standards.

• Customizable options: Homebuyers with specific needs can get a custom-built home.

• Best for: Clayton Homes is best for people on a budget, buyers with time constraints and people with special needs.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Clayton Homes Company Information