2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.09/5

Clayton Homes is a manufactured home builder that offers an array of home types, from traditional site-built homes to tiny homes. With a focus on green building practices and multiple customizable features available, Clayton Homes can help you achieve homeownership within your budget.

Clayton Homes Gallery (4)

BOTTOM LINE

Clayton Homes offers a wide array of home types and prices to choose from along with energy-efficient features and options. The company works with multiple name-brand home equipment and appliance brands.

PROS

• Customization available
  • Choice of quality home brands
  • Energy-efficient homes

CONS

• Potential land restrictions
  • Complex modular home financing

Top Clayton Homes Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clayton Homes?

The home buying process at Clayton was very easy. I couldn't ask for anything better. Their manager Tracy was outstanding. If I had any questions, she handled it right away... Everything was taken care of whenever I talked to her. We got a top-notch quality home.

I was recommended by a family member that owned a home through Clayton Homes. The buying process was easy. There was no stress and I was never pressured into buying a home. Everyone there was nice. … I would definitely recommend the one here from Anniston.

What is Clayton Homes?

Clayton Homes is a homebuilding company that offers a variety of home styles, including tiny homes, modular homes, apartment complexes and more. The company has been in business for more than 60 years and has experience with the intricate and complex processes that go into building your perfect home. The company is ISO 14001- and LEED-certified for green building projects. It also offers ENERGY STAR-certified homes for environmentally conscious buyers.

How does Clayton Homes work?

After working with a Clayton Homes specialist to design your dream home, the next step is to find the right land and secure financing. If you haven’t found the right space for your Clayton Home, the company’s team of professionals work with you to find land that fits your needs and budget.

Clayton Homes are built by first selecting from a variety of trusted home equipment and appliance brands, including MOEN, Frigidaire and Georgia-Pacific. The steel foundation is then laid before the flooring and plumbing system is installed. Next, the exterior walls and roofing are constructed, followed by a thorough inspection. Additional land improvements can be made if necessary or requested.

Clayton Homes prices

The cost of a home from Clayton Homes is based on factors including the size, brands used, type of home and selected features. Most homes start in the $140,000 range. The average price of a Clayton Home built in 2019 was $312,286.

Without land, the average price for a home built off-site cost $78,817. You can expect additional costs for various features such as energy-saving appliances or materials. Homeowners looking to reduce costs can work with Clayton Homes to eliminate features or opt for more affordable home appliance and equipment brands.

Clayton Homes FAQ

Who owns Clayton Homes?
Clayton Homes is owned by Berkshire Hathaway. The company was created in 1956 by Jim Clayton.
Are Clayton Homes modular?
Clayton Homes does build modular homes. Other home types are also available for purchase, including site-built homes and tiny houses.
Do Clayton Homes come furnished?
No, homeowners are required to furnish their homes. Homes built by Clayton Homes do include kitchen, bathroom and other appliances requested by the homeowner.
How much are Clayton Homes?
The price of Clayton Homes varies based on the selections made by the buyer. Costs include the price for labor, the appliances and materials selected and other various fees.
How much of a down payment do you need for Clayton Homes?
The amount of down payment necessary for a Clayton Home depends on the financing you receive. For instance, FHA loans require a minimum of 3.5% of the sales price as a down payment.
Does Clayton Homes help find land?
Clayton Homes helps customers find land for their homes. If the consultant is unable to find land, the company has an extensive network of local real estate professionals ready to help.
Is Clayton Homes a good company?
With the variety of homes and features available, along with energy-efficient options and green building certifications, many customers agree that Clayton Homes is a good company to work with.
What credit score do you need to get a Clayton home?
The credit score needed to buy a Clayton home is based on the loan type required. Conventional loans will need higher credit scores, usually in the 680 or higher range, while FHA loans are available with lower credit scores of 580 and above.
Are Clayton Homes built well?
Yes. In addition to quality building practices and materials, each build is thoroughly inspected. Each build comes with the Clayton Built stamp of approval, which is the company’s commitment to building excellence.

Are Clayton Homes good?

Clayton Homes provides a myriad of home types and features to choose from. These homes are ideal for the homebuyer who wants some control over the homebuilding process without the hefty price tag. Additionally, the company’s commitment to green building and energy-efficiency is a benefit for homeowners looking to actively reduce their energy bills or carbon footprint.

Clayton Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clayton Homes?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I've known about Clayton since I was about 16 years old and the first time I ever purchased was when I was 18. It was with Clayton up in Tennessee. They have always been top-of-the-line. We'd had house plans drawn out for years of what we wanted and when the hurricane came in and destroyed our home, we went to Lake City, to Deerlake and all over the State of Florida, Georgia and Alabama looking for someone who would build what we wanted.

My husband was working in Nashville and he was driving by a Clayton place and saw The Abigail. He pulled in and looked. It was about 80% of what we had drawn over the years. So, he told me about it but Panama City didn't have one at the time. So, we drove all the way across to Georgia. The woman up there was one of the rudest people I've ever talked to but I gave a brief look anyway. Then, I waited a few months until they got one in Panama. I went and looked at it, and when I started questioning about adding extra windows, doing different things, so on and so forth, is when D.C., the rep, told me that they could do anything we wanted. So, I was hooked. We went to Jasper, Alabama and looked at the factory, which was when I was set on it and when I wanted it.

With the problem now, I called DC, who is the lot manager in Panama City. He was the first one we spoke to. I kept calling until they got that home in over there and then, Stephanie called and let us know it was in but not together. So, I called D.C. I told him that I wanted to look at it and that I don’t need it together. I just need to see the front half of the house. He said that he would get the stairs and we would go in it.

We have carpet in the house and we have that linoleum we paid top dollar for. It’s supposed to last for 25 years. They didn't sand down the floors like they were supposed to and they also didn't make sure that the things were sealed before they put it in. We've only had our home a few months and because of the COVID, the young man, Boris, couldn't come back out and do a lot of fixing. The whole floor has got to be replaced. I've got some places where it’s 4 to 6 inches, and there’s no way I’m gonna let them pack it when I gave $12,000 for it. I’m gonna have to get a lawyer to fight it to make sure it's done.

Also, there are humps. If you throw an area rug down and one of your kid’s balls or a toy gets under, you can feel it. So, that is the biggest issue that I have with our house. I don’t call DC and complain to him about it because there's nothing he can do. There's no need to complain to Jeremy either but I have talked to a young lady up at Clayton in Jasper, Alabama. I was a contractor and I used to build homes from ground up so I know what the process is. They didn’t sand the floor and they didn’t put the board that was supposed to be put underneath this. It's supposed to be a seamless, airtight floor so that the floor was supposed to be sucked down to the existing floor, and they didn't do that.

The construction of it is fine but I’m a detailed person. My center island is off three quarters of an inch. So, instead of it being 3 foot from counter to counter all the way down on each side, it’s not. It wasn’t put in right either. The way that they built this home was they were behind. They were pushing out a lot of homes for the hurricane victims. I get it but what I don’t get is sloppy work. I even had to screw everything up when I came to the house. Even my siding is popping off the house. It’s not cut right. Every time I've had somebody call me and ask me if I would recommend Clayton, I would say yes, all the way across the board. But if I ask if I could talk to them about the factor, they would say no.

There are other high dollar issues. I told them when I first got the home that the toilet rocks left to right and it’s due to the fact that the floor is not level. So, the floor wasn't locked down properly. There were no head bolts put in the floor to hold it so that the toilet wouldn't do that. If you don't put it on the beam you put it on the edge of the beam, it's gonna work its way down so it's always going up and down. You have beams that go across the floor, that's what the board connects to. So if it's not there, and it's over on the side of the beam, then the floor is gonna go up and down. They have stated that they had to go underneath the house and do things, which means that they got to cut my insulation. It’s a repeated problem.

I bought an extended five-year warranty but at the same time, I'm not gonna claim any of this on my homeowners insurance because I'm not gonna let my homeowners insurance go up because the factory chose to do a shoddy job. Also, they put the dryer vents four inches from the wall and it is six inches, so you've got a 10 inch gap between the wall and the back of your dryer, which has my dryer six inches in front of my return air. So I have to move the dryer, unhook the dryer, pull it out, to drop the returned air to take the filter out. It was slap it together and get out of here because they were behind schedule. At the same time this was going on was when they fired that one factory manager and hired somebody else, and put in another one.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Madeline, customer experience is of the upmost importance to us, and we take feedback very seriously. We are currently looping in our Customer Advocacy team in order to look into the matter, and we appreciate your patience.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 22, 2020

We liked the experience with the salespeople. A lot of the other Clayton Homes that we went to, the salespeople followed you around saying, “We wanna know what kinda money do you want to spend? What kinda payment are you looking to be in?” I don't like that. But over at Johnson City, they didn't do that. People know what they can afford to buy. When we looked, they said, “You go out, take a look. You see something you like, come back in, let us know and we'll talk about it.” We got what was already there because I liked what I saw and it was done the way I wanted it. I also liked the colors. The quality was decent. They were better than a lot of the others.

Our biggest struggle was we bought late in the year and the weather held us up from getting it. It took us about three months to be able to get in and get it moved here. We've officially moved in here in January and there's still a lot of things that need to be done and it seems like feet are getting dragged. There's some discrepancies with the people at Clayton on as to when to do things and when not to do things. There's a vapor barrier that has to go underneath the home and there's still some discrepancies on that. We still haven't gotten that done. Some of the people at Clayton say that it should’ve been done already. The manager at Johnson City told us that we gotta get our underpinning put up first. But that's kinda like putting the horse behind the cart. It seems like it would be something that would be harder to do with the underpinning up because they have to go under the house to do it.

We finally got our front door replaced yesterday. The door was messed up on the lot, which is understandable because they told us that people would go in and look at the homes and not close the doors and the wind would blow and catch them and warp them. They worked on the door twice before they decided to replace it. They put a bunch of shims in and it was so funny when the guys took the door out yesterday. About 50 shims fell in the floor. The guy said it was crazy. But when they replaced the storm door, they didn't send the door handle for it. But the guys were really nice about it. They even went to town and bought one and brought it back. But it wouldn’t fit and the guy said that’s because a lot of mobile home things are made where you have to go back to a mobile home manufacturer to get stuff. So he just pieced together what was on the old door.

When they worked on the door, my door handle was actually two different colors. The guys that was here yesterday tried to make things right. I've got four mini blinds that needed to be replaced and they brought out blinds and it had my name on the box. When they opened them up, they were the wrong size. It took them three tries before they finally got the right screens to put back in my home because there were screens missing and there were some that were messed up on the home when I bought it. They finally got them squared away a couple of months ago.

When the guys were here yesterday, they said that they would go back and let them know that the wrong blinds was sent out but I have no clue how long I have to wait for new blinds because it took me forever to get them. Also, I had to have the blinds replaced on my sliding glass door. The blinds fall off of it all the time. I had the guy put them back on yesterday. Now, this blind has only been up for a month and a half but it was messed up when the boy put it up. The boy said that he was gonna tell them that it wasn't right. Apparently there are some clips inside of it that were broke off.

I'm still waiting to hear about my bathtub in my master bath. When they brought the home out, I had to go through and clean everything before I could even move stuff in. When I was cleaning all the dust and fills out of the bathtub, I noticed that there was a puncture hole in it. I talked to somebody at Jiles about a month ago and I'm still waiting to hear about that. It seems like if you talk to one person then it's like everybody tries to make good with everything. But it seems like there isn't a chief at the helm that takes responsibility to try to correct things. The people that came out here to work on stuff have been great.

Clayton Homes response

Lisa, thank you so much for reaching out and sharing this feedback with us. Here at Clayton Homes, we strive to provide a world-class customer experience while meeting your needs. Please contact us if you run into any further issues with getting items completed.

Original review: May 25, 2020

The Clayton Homes manager that I bought the home from lied to me from day one until I got this home finally put in. And it cost me money getting the home put in. I’m very dissatisfied with the Decatur office. If I’d known that it was gonna be that way with them, I would’ve never bought it at the Decatur. I would’ve gone to the other Cullman office. I was very dissatisfied with him and the sales rep that actually sold me the mobile home.

I paid 3,000 in cash upfront for the mobile home and then I paid to have the electric in and to have the septic done and everything. He did not follow up with anything. I had to get on him hot and heavy about it to get it in on time. He still didn’t get it on time and we’re running the rainy season. And it cost me money as far as getting my driveway and that put in because the rainy season hit. Now, my driveway is settling and sinking because they didn’t get it in on time. They even forgot to find the actual contract for me to get my tags for the mobile home when they made the bill. They kept telling me they were not responsible for that. And I had to call the main office and get on to them to get him to come back and do it.

Also, the mobile home when we were looking around didn’t have everything in it. I ordered it special and I’ll be darned if they didn’t ruin that. They messed up everything that I ordered. It had stuff in it that the other one had and it wasn’t supposed to. But I had to be satisfied with what was in it because if I ordered it, it would take them another week for me to get it and I couldn’t wait a week because we got a lot of rain coming.

They had carpet in it and it was not supposed to be carpet. It had mirrors on the walls, which it was not supposed to have because they start taking mirrors off the walls, they glue them things on and when you do that, you tear everything off when they do it. But that’s fine and the rest of it was hardwood. And then the sink in one of the main bathrooms was crooked and everything. The guy told us that it would cost more to fix it. But another guy, Joe, had that thing tore out, put back in, and had it looking perfect. I said I didn't want anybody coming out except him. He was the only one that seems to know what he's doing.

As far as the home, my wife loves it. It's a nice home. We have a few cracks in it and stuff like that, but that’s from the moving and from the settlement. And as soon as it gets to where we can do it, I'm gonna have Joe come out and take care of it. Once I met him and got some people in there that I could trust, it was good and everything.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Fred, thanks so much for reaching out and sharing your experience with us! We value customer feedback, and we thrive from it as it betters our processes. We will be sure to forward the frustrations that you experienced to the appropriate parties. We're happy that overall, you and your wife love the home! We wish you all the best!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

We looked at all different places and we always kept going back to Clayton. We had Jay for our salesperson, and he was the most terrific, awesomest person ever. The house sold itself to start with, but he went to every effort to make everything perfect. If there was something that we were concerned about he answered all the questions. He even fixed the problem that we had about where the house was laid out because we didn't know that it could be switched around different. He was spot on everything and he made suggestions. He was with us the whole way, letting us know everything that was going on, including the guys that would be coming out, doing this and that. We had a lot of rain during that time so there were concerns but he kept us informed on everything.

And Jay wasn't pushy at all. He said, "Take your time if you're not ready to put down your deposit or make sure that's the right house that you want." And we went to other places that were kinda like, "You gotta put $2,000 down right now or it's not gonna be here." We were looking for a certain mudroom laundry room. We didn't want something with just the washer and dryer fit in. We wanted something bigger. And everybody else aside from Clayton only had small laundry room. We weren't thinking about a porch until we saw the Clayton model one day when we were out there and Jay said, "Oh, yeah. You can add that on if you want." So we ended up adding a porch on the end where the laundry room is. The laundry room is just like a mini-kitchen. It's just wonderful because I got my washer, dryer and I got cabinets.

I also wanted a certain place to put a freezer because in my other house we had the freezer just sitting out in like a little deep area and I couldn't stand that. So we worked around that. Jay also helped us out with the colors. We had a couple little, minor things, but the guys set their appointments and they came out there and got everything done lickety-split.

I was worried about not having a place to stay in between the transition. But Jay said, "Don't worry. Don't worry. It's all gonna work out. You're gonna have electricity and water into it. We'll get everything where you can move in." I didn't wanna have to pay for a hotel and have extra expenses. Everything worked out perfect. I'm a worrywart to start with and Jay made me feel very confident that everything was gonna go great, and it did.

Dave and his crew, who set up our house that day, were awesome just as well because they were the cleanest. We walked in the house after they first set it up and they were doing stuff inside, and they swept and mopped. It was just awesome. They didn't have any trash outside. They were as pleasant as can be. We spent a lot of time with them out there, putting everything together. Dave came out and helped us with the sewer line. The guys worked really hard even when it was like 100-and-something degree weather. Clayton at Florence couldn't have made it any better or easier buying a house. All the people there were just wonderful. I'd recommend them to anybody and everybody.

Clayton Homes response

Hi, Billie. Thank you so much for reaching out regarding your recent home buying purchase with Clayton Homes! We are so happy that you had had such a wonderful experience! It sounds like Jay really went above and beyond to make sure you were pleased with everything and well informed on the process. We hope you continue to enjoy your new home!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I liked working with Lauren and Clayton Homes very much. They were fantastic people and I got anything I needed done. I can complain about my trailer but I can't complain about them. The reps were good and they answered any questions I had as well as any problems, or they came. They were excellent. I also like my home very much and I'm very happy but I have come across some major issues that I’d like to wrap them on the head. A couple of months ago, there were seven people in here, and all of a sudden, we heard what sounded almost like a small bomb. Everybody got scared and ran out. We had it checked several times and nobody could find anything but I know something happened.

The reps from Clayton were gonna come down last week so that I could set up an appointment for the boys to come down. I have a feeling that I have a crack in my ceiling but that has nothing to do with Clayton Homes. Then, in my closet, there is daylight that comes in in my bedroom. So, they're supposed to be fixing that. It sounds like an airplane in my house when my furnace is running. It is so loud and it's because of the door. They should put a better-quality door on it. You don't know about it and you don't think about it when somebody comes and sells you. You're looking at it but you're not hearing it because everything’s shut off. If I heard that, I wouldn't have bought the trailer. But I have a beautiful home and I'm slowly getting it to where I want although that door is so annoying.

Clayton sells the homes but they're not the ones who build it. I cannot condemn or blame them. The dealings with them and the girls were fantastic but the crack in my ceiling has been the second or third time. My home is all in level and it’s a good-sized one. It's easy to maintain, well-insulated and comfortable. I have enough room to turn around. Some places were small and they jacked my lot rent up because they're doing some waterlines and adding people on to that. I can either sell the trailer or I'm gonna start looking for some land. If I can afford to pay for the lot rent, I can afford to buy a land. I am really upset because I'm on a limited income and this has been putting a hard burden on me and I'm debating what I wanna do because it's difficult. I was very upset with it. I got a letter in the mail and I sat down and thought that I couldn’t do this. I don't do anything and it's not like I have all kinds of stuff going on.

I have my trailer sitting here on the lot and the only thing that I get is that they pick up my garbage and I have my water and sewer but it's $376 a month. That's too much. I am really pissed off because I wouldn't have bought the trailer. I can handle $300 a month but when you add another almost 100 bucks on it, I'm not okay. But the ladies came in and I requested them to put a step-in shower in for me and I love it. I got the barn door on and I love that too. It's all been good.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 10, 2020

I stopped by to see a model on a Clayton lot in West Virginia south of New River Gorge. The manager Glen **. **. Was quite rude. I guarantee he saw how I was dressed and made assumptions. I wasn’t allowed to see the model without an address in the county. I asked if I could get a copy of the model. He said no. Said look online. Well guess what sir. I don’t know what the model is to look at it online. I’ve spoken to Clayton reps in Florida. All of them have been nice. They said if I see a model on a lot anywhere in country. They can build it in Florida and to the codes of the state. This guy Glen didn’t Care about his company or the service he rendered. I suggest stay away.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Frances, thank you for reaching out and sharing this experience with us. We're sorry to hear about this. We will private message you to learn more details and we look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

We bought a Drake Mobile Home with a Den from Clayton Homes in Rosenburg, TX 1 year ago. It is an open plan just like we wanted with a very large island in the kitchen. Everything fits our needs perfectly just like we had in mind. We love it!!! We did have a few problems in the beginning with the home, which I am sure is to be expected. Thanks to Bob the General Manager things were taken care of in a timely manner, from the sale to the repairs. He treated us in a friendly but professional manner. I would also like to thank Marty and Frank who were the fixers of our repairs. Two great guys that both worked very hard. Thank you to all of you!! We would recommend Clayton Homes in Rosenburg, Tx for the purchase of your Mobile Home.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for the kind words, Marion! We really appreciate you, and we're so glad you chose Clayton Homes for your home-buying needs!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

The Clayton Homes consultant that I worked with, Mark, was awesome. He always had time to answer my questions, whether I just happened to be driving by at Stockton or if I called them. He always explained things in such a way that I could understand them. He was always willing to go the extra mile. As far as the time frame, it took quite a while but it wasn’t their fault. It was my fault. I had some credit issues so we had to wait until we got those cleared up. In the home, I had a bathtub changed out. I had those kitchen counters changed out. I had to have all of the doors widened for my son's wheelchair. So far, the quality's been great. The few issues that I had, they fixed all of them.

Lynda,

This is such wonderful feedback regarding one of our retail locations! We strive to provide this type of customer care at each home center, and we're so happy that Mark went above and beyond for you! We hope you and your family enjoys the home for many years to come!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

I went through the process with Billy and Jerry, and they were real good salesmen. They did a real good job. I'm in a better home now since I got the home through them.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much, Lorine! We truly appreciate the kind words!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

Clayton's rep was very good and had excellent knowledge. We bought one of their homes and it took a while for it to become available. Still, they were professional and we had an easy and comfortable experience doing business with them. We're completely satisfied.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Jackie! We're so glad you and your family had a wonderful experience!

Clayton Homes Company Information