Clayton Homes Reviews

Find a Best Home Builders partner
4.1(3,899)

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Clayton Homes

Clayton Homes is a manufactured home builder that offers an array of home types, from traditional site-built homes to tiny homes. With a focus on green building practices and multiple customizable features available, Clayton Homes can help you achieve homeownership within your budget.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Customization available
  • Choice of quality home brands
  • Energy-efficient homes
Cons
  • Potential land restrictions
  • Complex modular home financing

Featured Reviews

Verified
Seaford, DE

The home buying process at Clayton was very easy. I couldn't ask for anything better. Their manager Tracy was outstanding. If I had any questions, she handled it right away... Eve...

Verified
Jasper, AL

I was recommended by a family member that owned a home through Clayton Homes. The buying process was easy. There was no stress and I was never pressured into buying a home. Everyo...

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

What is Clayton Homes?

Clayton Homes is a homebuilding company that offers a variety of home styles, including tiny homes, modular homes, apartment complexes and more. The company has been in business for more than 60 years and has experience with the intricate and complex processes that go into building your perfect home. The company is ISO 14001- and LEED-certified for green building projects. It also offers ENERGY STAR-certified homes for environmentally conscious buyers.

How does Clayton Homes work?

After working with a Clayton Homes specialist to design your dream home, the next step is to find the right land and secure financing. If you haven’t found the right space for your Clayton Home, the company’s team of professionals work with you to find land that fits your needs and budget.

Clayton Homes are built by first selecting from a variety of trusted home equipment and appliance brands, including MOEN, Frigidaire and Georgia-Pacific. The steel foundation is then laid before the flooring and plumbing system is installed. Next, the exterior walls and roofing are constructed, followed by a thorough inspection. Additional land improvements can be made if necessary or requested.

Clayton Homes prices

The cost of a home from Clayton Homes is based on factors including the size, brands used, type of home and selected features. Most homes start in the $140,000 range. The average price of a Clayton Home built in 2019 was $312,286.

Without land, the average price for a home built off-site cost $78,817. You can expect additional costs for various features such as energy-saving appliances or materials. Homeowners looking to reduce costs can work with Clayton Homes to eliminate features or opt for more affordable home appliance and equipment brands.

Clayton Homes FAQ

Who owns Clayton Homes?

Clayton Homes is owned by Berkshire Hathaway. The company was created in 1956 by Jim Clayton.

Are Clayton Homes modular?

Clayton Homes does build modular homes. Other home types are also available for purchase, including site-built homes and tiny houses.

Do Clayton Homes come furnished?

No, homeowners are required to furnish their homes. Homes built by Clayton Homes do include kitchen, bathroom and other appliances requested by the homeowner.

How much are Clayton Homes?

The price of Clayton Homes varies based on the selections made by the buyer. Costs include the price for labor, the appliances and materials selected and other various fees.

How much of a down payment do you need for Clayton Homes?

The amount of down payment necessary for a Clayton Home depends on the financing you receive. For instance, FHA loans require a minimum of 3.5% of the sales price as a down payment.

Does Clayton Homes help find land?

Clayton Homes helps customers find land for their homes. If the consultant is unable to find land, the company has an extensive network of local real estate professionals ready to help.

Is Clayton Homes a good company?

With the variety of homes and features available, along with energy-efficient options and green building certifications, many customers agree that Clayton Homes is a good company to work with.

What credit score do you need to get a Clayton home?

The credit score needed to buy a Clayton home is based on the loan type required. Conventional loans will need higher credit scores, usually in the 680 or higher range, while FHA loans are available with lower credit scores of 580 and above.

Are Clayton Homes built well?

Yes. In addition to quality building practices and materials, each build is thoroughly inspected. Each build comes with the Clayton Built stamp of approval, which is the company’s commitment to building excellence.

Are Clayton Homes good?

Clayton Homes provides a myriad of home types and features to choose from. These homes are ideal for the homebuyer who wants some control over the homebuilding process without the hefty price tag. Additionally, the company’s commitment to green building and energy-efficiency is a benefit for homeowners looking to actively reduce their energy bills or carbon footprint.

Clayton Homes Reviews

Stars Rating

• 64%
  • 14%
  • 5%
  • 5%
  • 13%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clayton Homes?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clayton Homes?
    Staff

Reviewed June 23, 2023

Everything with Clayton Homes was amazing. I would recommend the team there at McComb to anybody in the world. I liked their professionalism. Opal came out and greeted me and my three children. We had recently lost our home to a tornado, and she was so professional. She looked at these homes with us as if she was moving in them with us. I truly appreciated it. She understands. She was good. My anxiety was high. I was so worried. When you got three children, you've got a place to go. I have family, but when you have somebody that says, "Okay, we can help you. You're gonna be okay. Don't worry, don't worry, don't stress. You go home tonight. You let me work on this paperwork tonight. Tomorrow, I'll give you a call back."

We got a very spacious home. So far, so good. I am so pleased to have my home. I love Clayton. They made my closing process so easy and simple. They even brought in someone that does all the paperwork. They walked me through the process. We talked about the back end of the note versus the front end of the note. I'm a questionnaire. I just have to ask questions. I want to know, if I pay extra here, how would it fit me in the 30 years? They sat down and broke it down to me very well.

Pinned

We are so happy to hear that you had a positive experience, Bessie! World-class customer care is what we strive for!

Staff

Reviewed June 23, 2023

We were gonna build, then just decided to go with Clayton instead. We went in with a particular floor plan in mind and talked to them about our timeline and that was a big factor in it. The rep said, "Well, with that timeline, we can get whatever you want or we have a model here that's, basically, what you're wanting." It ended up being better than the one we had picked out. They matched what we wanted with what they had and saved us some money in the process. Also, Clayton was ready to go within weeks, but we had some zoning hoops to jump through. From start to finish, it took six months, but 99% of that was just us going back and forth with the county and zoning stuff, which Clayton was helpful with too.

The house is great. We've been in since right around Christmas of last year and so far, so good. The showerhead wasn't tightened down and it was dripping a little, but it was an easy fix. The service person came right out and fixed it. We have no issues, and we've recommended Clayton Homes to friends, specifically, the one in Ringgold that we used. The rep, George, and the lady that was there were super helpful. She's been our main point of contact during the entire process. I was super happy with the whole experience.

Pinned

We're so happy that you are loving your home, Alexander!

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed June 21, 2023

Clayton Homes has better quality than any of the other places and their professionalism is a lot better than the rest. Before I knew it, we were approved, and everything was rolling. It was too fast for me. We told them we wanted to wait till we were ready for what we wanted. A few months later, the rep contacted me and asked me if I wanted to check what she got. The hardest part was waiting between houses to have our home removed and have the new one brought in. But we got to see our new house before it came. Everything was a perfect experience. I couldn't imagine it going any smoother. We love everything about our home. We like the quality. But it's funny because every time I look around, everything's a little off it seems. It's probably the way the trailers are made. The leveling seems a lot higher than what I would have expected.

We've had them come out twice for little things like the sliding door wasn't locking properly. The repairman said it was the way it was installed. In my master closet, one of the racks came down. It was because they didn't have a center rod in there which they were supposed to have. That was a quick fix. Every time I've called, it's been smooth. They get back with me right away. The first time, the repairman came out the next day because he was in the area. The second time, it was two weeks because it had to be on my schedule. They called us when they were on their way out.

Pinned

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, Devona!

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed June 15, 2023

We called Clayton Homes and they were really sweet, nice and helpful. So, we decided to go ahead and drive up there. The lady that helped us get our home waited on us to see the home that we wanted to see. It's almost 2,000 square foot home. It has a real fire, wood-burning fireplace. It's beautiful. We have a huge island in the kitchen, which is nice. It's very spacious. The house itself is spacious. All my stuff is very rustic. I've got beams done in wood that came with the home. Then I did the wood accent. Each bedroom has a walk-in closet. As far as the home buying process, we ran into some snags here and there, but they were very good and patient.

Angel was our person and she is, by far, the sweetest person. She helped us whenever we needed help and guided us through what we'd need before signing and what we needed here or any questions that we have. She gave me her personal cellphone number, which to me, means a lot because things come up. We were very pleased with her. Overall, everything took about six months, which for a home is not bad because there's a lot that goes into it. So, I think that's a good span of time. Working with Clayton was wonderful. We've been waiting to get into a house for five years, and to us, they tried to make it as seamless as possible. It was a very pleasant experience. They were really nice all the way through and helpful on what to do and where to go next.

Pinned

Julie, thank you so much for sharing your buying experience and congrats on finally getting your forever home!

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed June 14, 2023

I went out there at Clayton and they had a 2020 model. It was the one they had set up for showing people. I bought it. It was cheaper than buying it if I had ordered one. Clayton took care of everything. They called a guy over from Northpoint Financing and he met me over at Clayton's and helped get everything going. Kelly was my salesman and I dealt with him 99% of the time. There was also Anthony. Joe is the one I've been talking to up here last.

Putting the home in was fine. But I almost got in trouble putting the septic system in. The guy here in Harrison County up here in Indiana made me put an above ground system in and nobody around me has an above ground system. A regular system would have cost me around 10,000 or 12,000. An above ground cost me 24,000. The guy said going through the hardpan is the worst thing you can do. He said the State of Indiana says you can't go through the hardpan. I didn't think about it until a friend of mine got a number for me and I called Indianapolis. They don't know where the guy came up with what he said. But it was too late as I had put in the septic above ground. The State of Indiana prefers you to have an above ground system now. But as far as going through the hardpan, there are no rules on that.

Because of the septic thing, it delayed me about two months getting the trailer put in. I started trying to buy this trailer in the last of June or July. Clayron brought it out last of September and I moved in on November the 9th. That aside, everything else worked great. I bought too big of a house. I'm 68 years old and I live by myself. I bought a three-bedroom house. I got the smallest bedroom and I have a room where I got an exercise bike and a total gym thing set up in it.

Clayton has been here to fix the siding on the front of the trailer. Windstorms took it off. Underneath the bedroom window, there's a double window. There's a double window in the living room too. Clayton sent their guy here to fix it twice. He never did quite get it fixed. And then their main guy over the maintenance department came out. I called them on Monday morning and he called me right back. The manager over at the maintenance department said, "I haven't been there... Now, is it where we put the siding on each end when we put the trailer together?" I said, "No... It's actually done by the factory." The main guy had to put a couple of new pieces in because the wind ripped them out. I haven't had a problem since.

I was called after that was done and was told, "Yes. That was done by the factory... Somebody down there didn't do it right." Where it goes up underneath the windows, you got to trim that to fit. They didn't trim that. They just stuffed stuff in there and made a big bow in it. The wind got in behind and popped it out and it ripped it up.

Pinned

Thank you for sharing your experience and this feedback with us, Clark!

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed June 5, 2024

From start to finish, and still a year after our home was supposed to be finished, we are extremely dissatisfied. We have finally resorted to giving this review after experiencing a long list of problems with our home and with the lack of service that Clayton Homes has provided. There have been dozens of rodents coming into our house from underneath the house because it was not sealed properly. A Clayton representative told us that everybody who lives near farmland has rodents in their house and refused to seal where the plumbing comes through the floor of the house.

We were never given the chance to sign off on or claim needed repairs on an initial walk-through of the home as promised and were left with a long list of needed repairs from day one which still haven’t been fixed even after we have requested it and even though we were promised a warranty. Light fixtures were left hanging from the eves of the house with birds and birds nests in it. Many nails are popping out of the walls, almost every drain to the sinks and all of the bathtubs were not connected or were broken and have caused damage which Clayton will not fix.

One repairman told us to glue our own torn floor down with Gorilla Glue and then left the job undone and other repairs halfway done, left my laundry dryer completely disconnected from the wall, leaving us without the ability to do laundry, left us with long pieces of siding for the exterior of the house, to do ourselves as if it our job to fix it and assuming we have a place to store such long pieces of siding. Our sinks and counters have rubber caulking smeared all over the place and the repairmen leave paint drips and drywall mud all over everything (the entire house and floor, light fixtures, etc); we were told that is our job to clean it up.

When I called Customer Service about this they never did anything at all about it and only said “Thank you for sharing this with us”. A week later, I called Customer Service again and they hung up on me within the first 30 seconds as soon as I said I head calling with a complaint. Without a doubt, we are not getting what we were told our money would pay for. This whole experience has been a complete nightmare for us. There’s so much more. We feel we have been scammed.

Pinned

Thank you for reaching out, Ryan. We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues and we'd like to loop in the appropriate parties for support. So that we may better assist, please private message us your phone number and email, as well as your location of purchase. Thank you.

Installation & SetupSales & MarketingPricePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed June 5, 2024

I could go on for days complaining about our Clayton Tahoe. From the very beginning, it’s been a nightmare. Our salesman has a bumbling fool that didn’t take notes. We ended up with the wrong color home. Everything was later than promised. Upon delivery, the driver said he hit a power line and tore part of our roof up. The driver promised to tear it all up and replace it to be like brand new. They purposely showed up without notifying me so I had no proof what they did to fix it, but it’s obvious they didn’t do it right. Was supposed to be a power plug in the laundry room, they had to come out and install it because I guess they forgot at the factory? The only plug in the master bath didn’t work, so they sent some hillbilly out to fix it and he couldn’t figure it out. So as he whines and complained about Clayton himself, he ran a new line and if you could see it you’d laugh.

I now have an electric line under the sink, which I’m sure isn’t code. None of the doors close right. Nothing is level. Nothing is square. We found really sharp metal shavings in the carpet for months after moving in. The counters look like cellulite. Everything is made out of particle board. All the cupboard knobs were screwed in off center. Noticeably off center. They ordered new ones, and told the builder not to put the drawer pulls on as we would do it ourselves. Well they didn’t listen and told the maintenance guys that they fixed their jig and they should be good now. The maintenance guys didn’t check though until they brought them here to install them. They were ALL off center again. Think about that! You get a complaint that every single drawer pull is visibly off center, you replace all 12 drawers, and make the exact same mistake. THAT is “Clayton Quality”. I wouldn’t hire their people to build a birdhouse.

Now, tonight, just over a year later, our roof is leaking. A 1 year old house, with water damage. This house cost almost $300k, and we have a leaking roof. There are SO MANY other issues too. They didn’t sweep the floors good before they put the vinyl floors down, and you can see it. Just like the cellulite counter tops. The sloppy plumbing. The fact that no one told us the paint they use isn’t paint. It’s a tinted cheap primer. So we have to repaint everything. The seam where they joined the two halves together looks like crap. I’m going to do my best to get the roof fixed and sell this piece of junk. I’ll do everything in my power to warn others. Do not buy a Clayton home. I promise you WILL regret it if you do. I learned the hard way. It happened during Covid when you couldn’t find anyone to build a stick frame home.

Now I wish we would have just waited. These cheap cardboard box houses aren’t even worth 1/4 of what they charge. And they are shady! They lie to you, stall, and do everything possible to make that 1 year warranty work for them. And look at their responses to other complaints. They blame the homeowner for a roof leak or plumbing problems. They know what they are doing. Think of Clayton as a used car salesman. They are going to promise you the moon and the stars until you close. They probably throw corporate parties where they celebrate who ripped off the most customers that year. They probably have big laughs every time they make a sale. There really needs to be a class action lawsuit. These people are scamming senior citizens and vets. Shameful. One day they will stand before the Lord for judgement though, and karma ALWAYS comes back 10 fold.

Pinned

Thank you for reaching out, Angelo. We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues and we'd like to loop in the appropriate parties for support. So that we may better assist, please private message us your phone number and email, as well as your location of purchase. Thank you.

Customer ServiceInstallation & Setup

Reviewed May 31, 2024

We purchased a Clayton home brand new. We are seniors and recently found out the roof was installed wrong causing it to leak. Our insurance denied our claim because of poor workmanship. I went to Clayton homes and was told it was our fault for not inspecting the roof every six months. And we could tar all the nail heads showing. How are we supposed to do that. We had no idea the crappy job they did on the roof. I would never purchase a Clayton Home again as their customer service SUCKS.... I am looking into getting an attorney.

Pinned

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, Laura. Customer service is of the upmost importance to us and we take feedback very seriously. Can you please give us a call at 1-877-264-2812 so we can document your concerns? We look forward to hearing from you.

Resolution In Progress
      Profile pic of the author.
      Installation & Setup

Reviewed May 30, 2024

One of the worst decisions I have ever made. The house came with dozens of flaws and problems. The house was installed over clay that was less than a foot over topsoil and rotting grass. The grading of the pad was done by a company hired by Stuart ** the general manager of the Hixson location. Rainwater was allowed to flow and stand under and around the house from March until September, causing the grass to rot and the house is sinking as a result. We filed a fraud complaint.

Don't count on getting any help from Tennessee. It appears so far that they will side with Clayton Homes Hixson. Money talks. A compaction test was supposed to ordered before the house was installed. The state inspector had to order it a week before we were able to finally set foot inside the house. And it was only a compaction test. No inspection was ever done under the house, or around the piers or footings. Topsoil is 7 inches below the surface and the house is sitting directly on top of it. We can't finish the sunroom until the sinking problem is addressed.

Pinned

Good afternoon Jane, thank you for sharing your experience with us. Clayton Homes strives to provide world-class care for each and every customer. After reviewing all documents submitted associated with this complaint, the state has determined this complaint has been closed. An approved installation report, as well as an engineer's soil report provided by the licensee, adequately provides documentation that all reasonable efforts have been made to satisfy this complaint.

Resolution In Progress
      Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed May 24, 2024

I want to thank Porsche ** for its great gift of service and response in the process of buying our house. Your quick, efficient, respectful and professional response was of great help and satisfaction to us. It was a pleasure to work with her.

Pinned

We are so happy to hear you had a wonderful buying experience with our team, Sandra!

Clayton Homes Company Information