Call toll free
4.59/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1956, Clayton Homes has been helping families build happiness through homeownership. We are committed to providing affordable, quality homes with a diverse range of builder offerings. Our homes include traditional, modular, tiny and manufactured homes, as well as apartments, military barracks and college dormitories. We are recognized as an innovator in our industry and pride ourselves on our integrity and reputation. Contact Clayton Homes today to own your own slice of the world to call home.

Clayton Homes Gallery (4)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1437 Clayton Homes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I've seen houses by Clayton, and we really liked two of them. Where I live, we pass them by the road. The home was beautiful when I walked in. Everything was really neat and I liked what I saw. It was a standard purchase and the overall process was wonderful. The reps were nice, helpful and friendly, and the quality of our home is wonderful as well. The people at Clayton are great to talk with and deal with, and when you ask them for some advice, they own it. I'll recommend Clayton Homes.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I was very satisfied with the home buying process at Clayton. The salespeople were very helpful, very knowledgeable and very friendly. They answered all of my questions when I was buying the house and the financing was worked out. After it was set up, I had a couple of problems. But they took care of all those problems, and everything’s good. We got to pick out everything for the house. We had French doors added, got to pick out the carpet, the wall colors, tile and countertops. They did everything right.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I liked the models that I saw from Clayton Homes. I went with them and the purchasing process was fine and simple. It was a good experience. The reps from Clayton did a great job. The quality of the house is good as well. But I still have a couple of things that need to be repaired. I've got a light going out in the kitchen and there's an outlet in the back bathroom that doesn't work.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

We worked with Chris and Ella, and they were very helpful and personable, and pleasant to work with. They were always very responsive.Clayton Homes had the unit that I wanted. It's a trailer so I have to keep my expectations at a certain level, and they have met those expectations. We bought the trailer right off the lot. It was already there. There was a modification that we wanted and they took care of that for us, so that was nice. They're actually in the process of fixing an issue this week. There was a leak in the dishwasher at installation. It was just a small leak so it wasn't detected until I had done some damage to their floor. The particle board in the flooring got damaged and they're coming this week to repair that.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I was looking for a house and one of my friends recommended Clayton. I went to Bossier, looked around and the salesman was great. He kept asking me if I needed anything and if everything was okay. He was so nice. I got a different sink because it was white and I wanted black because I have a boy, so that worked out. The home buying process went well. They even call me from time-to time to make sure that everything’s still working out for me. I had a great experience and I love the quality of our home. I would recommend them for anyone that’s looking for a home.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clayton Homes?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I'm very satisfied with the home buying process with Clayton Homes. The application process was easy and everything went smoothly. It only took two weeks for me to get approved. They were interested in helping me get what I needed and what I wanted. They got me in a home that I could afford and the one that I really liked. I was renting a house and I was paying way too much for it. My electric bill was $500. But the highest electric bill in my home now is less than $115 so I'm saving money and I'm extremely happy.

Also, they're the nicest people when I still call them to ask something. I had a concern about my air conditioner. I called Clayton Homes and the rep said that they will get somebody out here. But I told her that I've already called the number that was in my unit. Then she said, "Well I would have done that for you." They've been great.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Clayton is the place to go because they stand behind what they promise. Whatever they said, they delivered. We got a brand-new home from them and the process was excellent. It wasn't aggravating and it was easier than what we thought it would be. The application process went smoothly, although it was a little long. Even so, the home consultant was wonderful and my husband and I really liked him. He was very forthright with home phone numbers and everything, and we had good interactions with him. If I had any questions or concerns, all I had to do was either call the camp down at Clayton in Morganton or send a message to his private cell number.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

We bought a 2019 Tru Homes double wide and the sales person was wonderful. His name is Brian and I recommend him to anyone. He was very friendly and worked hard to get us into our home. Then they delivered it and set it up and we moved in it December 2018. Then they told me to make a list of everything that needed to be fixed so I did. I had 3 pages of things that needed fixed and one thing was the screen door wasn't straight. It had a big gap at the top and a small gap at the bottom. So the guy came and said he got it close and I didn't look till he was gone and I seen how he fixed it. He loosened half the screws on it and just left it like that and I told him that the screws holding the doors up most of them are stripped out and he told me there wasn't anything he could do about it.

So if you do get any kind of mobile home check the screws holding the doors up before they leave and if they don't do anything I would get a attorney because you want your doors to stay up because sooner or later it will affect your home and if I would have known this I would have just built a new home instead of a trailer... And they just called me and their fix on the stripped screws on the door is to get bigger screws to put in instead of replacing the frame and door and get weather stripping for the back door to stop the moisture from coming in so just cover the problem and not fix anything... SO my suggestion is to build a house and don't go with a trailer house...

Clayton Homes response

April, we appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. This type of information is important for us to better our processes. We are going to follow up with both your Home Center and Home Building Facility regarding your door and then someone will be in touch with you!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Clayton Homes was the best place that I found. Their customer service was good. They helped us find the home that we were looking for and we got a bigger home than what we were living in. So far, we’ve had some issues on the home. It had a cracked window and right now, the roof is leaking on it. We’ve been trying to get a hold of Clayton to get them to see if they can come and fix it. In fact, we called them about 30 minutes ago and we’ve heard nothing from them.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Buying from Clayton Homes was great. It is our first time ever buying a home and they just made it so easy with their explanation on how things work and what we needed to do. It was very relieving. The application process was very simple and we were approved really quickly. We worked with several different people, but they all worked together as a team. One person did one thing, another showed us the house, and then we were moved to another person when we got to the process of buying our house. That person came out and looked at our land and the first trailer that we had.

After we had our house and moved in, we were passed over to a lady who handled any issues that we had after the settling of the house. We had to have the guys come back out and re-leveled the house because it had rained a whole lot and our house settled. They also redid some doors that all of sudden weren’t closing and had some minor fixes done with the floor because of the setting.

The people from Clayton are very helpful and knowledgeable about what they're doing. Unlike all the other mobile home places that we went to, Clayton was more about getting us into what we wanted. We went to other places and the first thing they did was ask for a credit check. Overall, we're very satisfied with Clayton because we can still call them and they'll come out. I would tell others that Clayton would help them out whatever their situation is. They are willing to work with anyone and find a solution to whatever problem they got.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

We still have some stuff that Clayton Homes got to come and repair that they haven't done yet, like some door moldings. They also got to replace a piece of wall that was damaged. The rug on the master bedroom's floor also has a tear in it that they need to replace. Other than those things, I'm very pleased with the home. For the most part my experience with Clayton has been good.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

The home buying process at Clayton was great. It was our first time, so we weren't really sure about what we were doing, and they helped tremendously through everything. Our sales rep in particular, understood that it was all new to us. Any time that we had a question, we'd text or call, and she would always get our answers to us. The home we purchased was kind of a model and it already had all of the upgrades. The quality of the home, as of now, however, is probably less than that of a standard big villa house. We've been living in it for about seven months now and we've already seen some issues. Clayton has been helpful with getting them fixed to their standard of warranty, but probably not to my standard. It was not what we had hoped they have done or would do. Still, we had found in Clayton the company that best worked for us and suited our lifestyle and what we liked.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for your honest feedback, Travis. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on your home buying experience and the quality of your home. We're going to touch base with your Home Center and Home Building Facility and see if there is anything more we can do to help.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

The people at Clayton were very nice to deal with. They weren't in a hurry. The manager, Allison, took time. We drank some coffee with my daughter-in-law and my son. When we left, Alison came out of the building, down the steps and got to the car and hugged every one of us. And I love the mobile home. I fell in love with the double walling. My son just installed one of the heater on, and I haven't turned down real low. It feels wide open and so insulated. The home is really beautiful and of nice quality.

The people from Clayton said they were not gonna give me the mobile home that was on the lot, but build me a brand new one. I do not like carpet in my house so what we had to do was spread out the linoleum around it. They did it and it was pretty. My daughter just came in and said, "Mom, this was like your home that you just moved from." When you walk in there's a living room, a sunroom and a dining room and every combination. It’s just open and I also love that.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Clayton Homes' prices were just well in our range and the price per square foot was lower than what I could build it for. I also like the layout of the house and everything that it had to offer. Ken, from Clayton, was great. Whether there’s any questions I or my wife had, he answered them right off. We had a little problem on set up, and we just gave him a call and he got it handled right away. I was very happy with the experience.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

We were first time home buyers and this was the worst experience I have ever encountered!! To start off with after putting a down payment on a trailer to “hold it for us” they sold it out from underneath us! Said they ordered another one and would give us an allowance to purchase the furniture that was like the other we had picked out but they seem to have lost the paper work as to what was in it!! After several calls they final cut me a check I had to go pick up and it wasn’t even close to what was in the other one!! Then they had us sign paper work on the trailer before they perked our land and I have called several times to ask about the perk And was told it will be fine. Not knowing that we are on three natural springs and living in a swamp and the smell is unreal!!!

When they delivered the trailer they hit a tree and messed some things on the out side up as well as the inside so they send their service man who just started and don’t know how to fix things too well due to lack of training. He has been to my place at least 3 times and things are still not right and still tearing up!!! I have contacted them several times requesting someone from the manufacturer come out and they ignore me!!! I have all the email trails!!! I have also contacted the Customer Advocacy Team with no response!!! The list goes on and on!!! I have only lived in my home since July and shouldn't be going thru all this!!! Please think twice before purchasing from Clayton Homes in Tazewell Va!!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I went to Mount Airy Clayton Homes to get myself a home. They had one sitting on the lot for quite a while but they kept putting me off like they were gonna sell it, but they never did. So, I called a rep at Winston and he said to go there and that he would sell me the same home for the same price. Ron and Scott, their home consultants, went beyond the call of duty trying to keep me happy. Thus far, I love my home and the openness of the kitchen into the living room. I also like that my home has two bathrooms, one on one end, and one on the other end.

I also love the closets that have enough space. The closet in the master bedroom that's in behind the shower is a godsend. Since I have it back there, I can get dressed in the bathroom. Also, I've had so many compliments on my porch from my brothers who looked at the way it was built. They said that the man who built my porch knew what he was doing. It is nice and it wasn't just thrown together. Overall, we're getting what we want from Clayton.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Clayton Homes has better quality with a lower price than what a lot of the other places had. The buying process was really good. We had a couple little glitches here and there that was a little frustrating, but overall, it was a good experience. We started in April and we were in by mid-June, but there were some problems with some of the doorways, and the factory had to come out and make some repairs, and that didn’t get done until almost August.

We customized several things in our home. We took out the tub and had a giant shower put in the master shower. That was awesome. They put in a shower in my mom’s bathroom where she didn’t have a big step up into a tub, it was just a shower, because she's disabled. It had a seat where she could sit down in it.

Everything's fixed except for the floor. I'm still waiting for them to send somebody out to fix it. It squeaks very loudly and wakes up my baby. They usually call me back on the day when I reach out to them if I have concerns, but it just takes a long time to actually get somebody out here to do anything. We called about a week before Christmas about the floors, and this is February, and they still haven't had anybody out here to fix it.

I really like our home and I really liked most of the people I worked with. The only comment that I would have is that the folks at the Northport branch should be a little bit faster to resolve issues. I could see having to wait two weeks to get some jobs lined up going in and out ‘cause I understand it's a pretty sparse place that people have homes, but two months is a little bit too long to have to make somebody have to wait. Other than that, everything's been great.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I was looking for a mobile home and went with Clayton Homes. John, the consultant, was very helpful. He was an outgoing, down home country boy. I picked a home that has a floor plan that would hold my dining room. It has a gigantic garden, too, in the back. I really like the layout of my home. But I would like something at the front entrance that would not be carpet. I’m planning the first chance I get to talk to John about getting the vinyl in the dining and kitchen rooms. If I can get a piece of that from the floor where my couch is sitting to the wall, it would make my carpet look a lot better. I've got rugs down there that I'm walking on because I don't have the yard work done yet, so it's not a clean walk in the house. Other than that, I had a good experience with Clayton Homes.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Our friend who works with my brother had recently gotten a Clayton home. She talked to my brother about her experience and said that we should definitely go to Clayton. And being that Green Acres, the only other home provider, is way overpriced for crappier stuff, we went with Clayton. The buying process was easy and Brent, the rep, did good. He even showed us the homes and helped us find what was gonna work best for us and our budget.

Getting the home built, however, was a bit more difficult and it took a little longer than I expected. It took some months after I got everything approved. There were very few people working on it, whereas the Clayton in Jackson has whole teams of people, so it gets done a little faster. Our foundations were done by one person in his 70s, and I felt bad for the guy. Some of the little strips that hold the pieces of the wall together had bows in it because I guess they were in a hurry. So, I'd just take a nail and nail it back in. Nevertheless, as far as the pricing goes and the quality of the building materials themselves, Clayton is good. In fact, the quality of the home that we have is better than that of Green Acres. The Clayton people were good people too and I liked them. I would definitely still recommend them to a friend.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

We were looking for a home close by the school where my daughter is going and contacted a couple of places and the manager at Arrowhead recommended Clayton Homes. I live in Texas, and we worked with the home consultant over the phone. He took care of the insurance and warranty stuff, and things that we needed. He did everything on the phone. We filled out all the paperwork on the phone. They did a very nice job. I never even saw the home until we actually moved in. So, they did everything when we got there.

They had a couple of technicians that came out for little things like the small adjustments on the door. But everything else was good. The trailer was good, and the only thing that was amiss was the appliance warranty that they took care of. The dishwasher in this place is not working. They changed every part of that machine and it’s still not working. Other than that, I’m very happy with them. They dealt with everything else right away.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Everything was great with Clayton Homes in the beginning. It was perfect. When we went to the site, they showed us a home that was a perfect fit for us. We didn't even go anywhere else. We were happy. They bent over backwards to see that we got this home and it didn't really take a whole lot of time to actually get to closing. Everybody was also friendly. When we made a phone call to them, they were very nice. But with my experience going forward, I'm not really happy. When they sold the house, they were like, "Okay. This is your problem now.”

When we first had the home being moved onto the property, their contractor ran the first part of the section of our home, tried to put everything together, and kind of fixed the floor. And then, we had trouble with getting other things actually fixed throughout the home that needed attention. When I tried to get ahold of Clayton Homes, they helped us along the way, but they wouldn't stay in touch with us. Every time I'd call in, I'd give them an update on what needed to be fixed. The contractor would then come out and fix one thing, and then they would leave. Then, I was like, "Okay, what about the rest of the stuff?" Nobody ever wanted to communicate with me and that's my main gripe. I have to be the one to constantly call Clayton Homes and say what is going on instead of them calling me if everything's on track. As a matter of fact, our anniversary date’s in July and we still have issues that we have not gotten fixed.

So, we wound up having to call the company that made the home. We made a complaint to the home office as well about what was going on because we weren't getting anywhere. That finally helped us out and got fires lit under people's tails to get stuff done. The company that made the home sent another contractor and did a lot of work that needed to get done. But, the things they fixed are broken again. Now, we still have no communication with the company. I also haven't heard from them on what they're gonna do about the other items that could not be fixed by the contractor they sent. No one wants to pick up the phone, so I'm back to square one. We're to the point where I'm ready to start talking to a lawyer. I would not recommend Clayton Homes.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

We went to visit Clayton Homes in Chillicothe and dealt with the salesman by the name of Denver. He was very nice and polite. He worked with us but we waited and at the end of 4 months, we could still not find out how much it was gonna cost us to buy the home. So one day, we were in Huntington, West Virginia and my wife was wanting a certain wood. It looked like Clayton Chillicothe did not have that wood. I told her to check the Clayton Homes down in Huntington and maybe they've got it.

There was a man named Rick in Clayton Homes Huntington and we told him that we had been dealing with the one up in Chillicothe for 4 months but we could not get a price of the home. He told us to give him 24 hours and he'll have something going on for us. My wife had all of the paperwork so we went over all the paperwork with him. He asked us to come back the next day and that he'll have the price. We went back the next day, and sure enough, he had everything we wanted. And so, we asked him if we can we buy a home off of him instead of the one at Chillicothe and he said as long as we've not paid anything down, then he can take our order. So we went with him and we've been very satisfied with him.

Clayton Homes response

Roger, thank you so much for the detailed feedback. We're sorry to hear that things didn't go well with our Chillicothe location. However, we do appreciate you letting us know that once you started working with our Huntington location everything was back on track. We're going to pass along your feedback to the appropriate parties. This type of feedback is important for us to better our processes. We appreciate you taking the time to share, and congratulate you on your new home!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

This is the worse place ever to purchase a mobile home! What was supposed to be a dream come true for me and my family is a living nightmare every day! Every day our mobile home we find more and more things seriously wrong with our mobile home! It is so bad we have been trying since March 2018 to get things fixed and still until this day can't get the home right and like the one we chose. The ones they did send to do some work made everything worse.

Now we are having a major issue with water in all of our light fixtures throughout the mobile home but can't get an answer to why not get it fixed. We also now have mold in one of our closets and still don't have things done or fixed. Always getting the runaround. I wish we would have never went to Freedom Homes. I am now in the process of getting an attorney to see what can be done. This is just sad the worse place ever to purchase a mobile home. I am now in the process of getting a lawyer.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Clayton Homes was near Joplin so I drove by the place and checked them out. I liked what they had. Their home consultants explained everything very well and as for scheduling, they did a really good job with that as well. The home buying process went very well and they also did a good job on the quality of the build.

Clayton Homes response

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how satisfied you are, William! It sounds like everything went exactly as we hope for you. Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I was trying to get a place put in here in Gold Beach and I wasn’t having too good a luck with anybody. Then, I went to Clayton Homes in White City and I talked to the salesman. His name was Ken and he was really nice and upfront. He explained every one of the homes that he had there and he gave me a paper that said different finances that I could go through in buying a home. He said we could look at other homes. I had been looking, going on almost two years to put a house here but we went with Clayton. Ken helped me arrange to get the house and a couple of months later, my house was brought out here. Their people put it all together and did the foundation work.

I’ve had three other homes and the last home that we put in, I did the foundation work and helped do it. But with this, they put it together really good. All the walls are good, the floors don’t creak and all the windows open up. It has been great. The process took six months but it would have been less if the title companies do disbursements here in Curry County. They only have one title company and if they don’t wanna do anything, they don’t. Nevertheless, my experience with Clayton Homes had been very good. In fact, I have told numerous people about it and people are thinking about putting more of their homes over here.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

After my horrible experience with Mobile Home Liquidators, I went to Clayton Homes and they did everything better. I was messed around with Mobile Home Liquidators for about six months, but I elevated my paperwork that I started to Mark in Crossville. Since I was pretty much homeless, I had to choose one off of the lot so I could get it immediately. Mark had one and then, once I took my paperwork out to him, I had a double-wide. I like everything about the quality of the build, except for the bathroom. They are not good quality and of poor material. The bathtub in my daughter’s room already has cracks in it. Given my experience, Clayton needs to improve the showers and the bathtubs because I still feel like I'm about to fall through the shower when I get in it. It doesn’t feel like it is very sturdy. That aside, I love Clayton. They were outstanding to work with and their home consultant did amazing.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

We acknowledge we did not buy the Taj Mahal of homes, but...the finish work stinks! Piece of trim broken, put it up anyway, bumpy floor tile, (something underneath) leave it. Damaged cabinet, hang it anyway. Customer service...sluggish to nonexistent. Some contractors (different each time), come out to repair things, have 2x made things worse. And heaven forbid if something does need replaced, they are stalling beyond belief. Our salesperson, was the nicest in the world, but just like buying a car, the customer service after is pathetic. Clayton, you've let us down.

Clayton Homes response

Cathy, we're sorry to hear about your experience. A member of our Customer Advocacy Team will be in touch soon for more information.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Ron, our salesman from Clayton Homes, was really fantastic and I couldn’t ask for a more enjoyable experience with him. He was very helpful and he answered all of our questions. I'm very, very impressed with the quality of the build of the house too. All of our issues have been addressed and it's been very good, so far.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

My experience with Clayton Homes could have been better. There were a lot of things about the home that was not pointed out to me and it would have been better if I got a walk-through before they put it on my property. Nevertheless, I was satisfied with their home buying process.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for your honest feedback, William. We're going to touch base with you for more information! We're glad to hear that you were satisfied, despite thinking things could have been a little better.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

The people at Clayton homes were great. They were very friendly and very helpful. Buying a home from them was pretty quick. We purchased one on the lot, and they delivered it when we were ready for it. While we have a few issues that they’re still in the process of manufacturing, I've found that the build is of good quality. As soon as we said anything, their reps were there to take care of it and answer any questions we had. I recommend them.

Clayton Homes response

That's great to hear, Racheal! Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your buying experience. We're glad to know that everything went smoothly and that you're happy with the quality of the home.

Clayton Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

Clayton Homes specializes in affordable, quality-built modular and manufactured homes. It offers floor plans for a wide variety of home sizes and styles, from tiny homes to 4 bedroom houses.​ Their homes are all designed and manufactured in the United States.

• Range of home types: Clayton builds traditional site built homes, modular homes, manufactured homes and tiny houses.

• Offers trade-ins: Customers can trade in their current home for a new manufactured home in order to save on costs.

• Homes with basements are available: Clayton Homes can be ordered with a full basement.

• Model homes available in most locations: Users can visit a Clayton Home Center to see model homes or set up a tour. Visit their website to find a home center near you.

• Environmentally friendly: Clayton has received an ISO (International Organization for Standardization) certification for green building standards.

• Customizable options: Homebuyers with specific needs can get a custom-built home.

• Best for: Clayton Homes is best for people on a budget, buyers with time constraints and people with special needs.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Clayton Homes Company Information