toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

I purchased my home in Dec. of 2014. My husband passed in September of 2014 & I wanted a home with no problems and something I could move into and not worry about to start my life over. It was and still is nothing but a nightmare! I have repeatedly asked for the correct ductwork to be fixed along with numerous other issues and some were repaired while others were just patched over and look like a cheap home. I paid 119,00 cash for my house and I feel I was lied to taken advantage of and belittled numerous times mainly because I am a woman and because I was going through hell already so I guess they figured I didn't know better.

I have emailed, called and called and told those people no longer work here and I need a better attitude and maybe things would get done. They are rude, liars and I will never promote or buy from them again! Biggest regret of my life, trusting them to build my home like the model one they showed. Hope this helps others to not be tricked into believing they care!!!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I purchased my home in February 2014. I informed them that I needed them to provide the dirt to level off my land. They included this in my contract and I paid for this service. They never came to look at my land to see what needed to be done until they were ready to haul dirt. Once the manager got out here, he realized that it would take a lot to build up my land. Once he found someone who would do it, the company stated that it would cost much more than they allotted in my contract. The manager asked me if I would allow them to utilize the dirt that I had on my land from an area that was just there. I agreed to it. My contract was never changed to reflect this. This is now the latter part of the month of April. Once they got the leveling down, the problems began. Once the home was delivered the process began to break down.

There were numerous issues that I encountered. House was not and still is not level. Below is a list of issues and if they had been corrected. Floors squeak, AC unit flickering lights/pulling hard, Shower walls not secured in either bathroom, Closet floor in bedroom 1, Closet trim in bedroom 2 fixed, Kitchen drawer off track fixed, Piers (cracked bricks), Marriage Line unstable (caulking from repair is peeling, there is a gap between the molding and ceiling), Area around window in living room bulged out, House not level??? House not joined together properly, Front door stripping is off, Siding placed up without leaving space for dryer ventilation, Drip Edges around the house fixed, Siding coming off on the end of home fixed, Leaked under sink flooded kitchen may be damage to subfloor, Wall behind door in master closet stained or not painted (not even sure of), Stains left on carpet from first installers - purchased shampooer.

Bedroom doors are off and is not flush when closed (the top of door is rubbing the trim) fixed, Trim around Master bedroom is coming off, Gap at ceiling of master bedroom and living room, Front door will not close and catch, Roof leaked and stained ceiling fixed, Ceiling at front entrance is defected, Marriage line in ceiling caulking is peeling, Molding coming off in bathroom where they had to place a double floor trim to cover the hole in floor.

We had to buy a new and bigger home because we ended up with my 6 grandbabies. Jodys from the home site has gone beyond to help us find a great home. Always picks up the phone when we call. Love him. Great guy!!! And Vanderbilt bank has been great. Amy, Bruce, Jessie, David has went out of their way to make the loan work for our family! We didn't know what we was going to do with what we make and a new home but they made it happen. I will be forever grateful to them.

After reading ALL the reviews on these homes, I decided not to purchase one of these homes. Very poor quality and customer service in getting promises fulfilled. Refused to do things people purchased. I WILL NOT PURCHASE A CLAYTON HOME! I ADVISE THIS COMPANY TO CHANGE THE POOR SERVICE AND QUALITY!!!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'm a disabled vet and can not see or walk well. Clayton Homes took advantage of this. The house hit a tree during transport but Clayton Homes did not tell me, but tried to hide it from me. The entire front wall had shifted back, twisting the metal front door, damaging wall sheathing, buckling siding and damaging soft/fascia. They tried to patch up some of the damage, and then told me that there was nothing wrong with the front door, even though it would not close and allowed cold air in. Finally 8 months later they replaced the front door but it was only by accident that I found out about the home hitting a tree. There is still damage to the siding and sheathing.

Sub-floor improperly installed. One 4'X8' sheet is coming up through the vinyl. In the hallway the sub-floor was not butted up together and they laid the vinyl over the gap without fixing first so female relatives wearing high heels risk punching through. They laid the vinyl flooring over loose nails and screws. When I asked the factory rep why they didn't take the time to sweep the floor first, he told me "they don't have time. They have 8 minutes to install all of the flooring in a house. We go back and fix everything later on site". That means taking a knife and cutting through your vinyl floor to get the nail or screw.

They set this house 5 feet off the ground! Higher than any home they have ever set before, even knowing that I am a disabled vet and can't see or walk well. So high that they did not have stairs tall enough to fit so 9 months later I still do not have stairs to the front door. I paid for extra items like handicap doors and they did not install them. I paid for an upgraded filtration system but did not receive. Instead they installed a cheap Mexican furnace that takes a thinner (1/8"), and longer filter than you can buy, so I have to purchase two and modify them to fit. They installed a very small water line, and refuse to fix it so I am left with a trickle of water in the shower and sinks, and can not use the dishwasher.

My aunt had to clean for 4 days before I could move in. They didn't even bother to sweep the floors before shipping it. The cabinets and floors were covered in sawdust, cut off wood pieces, slopped paint, glue, etc... The end of the house, which was the front as it was towed down the highway from Tennessee was covered in road grime and oil and now is permanently stained. Clayton Homes could care less, and they have no pride in their work at all. They are only worried about getting paid. Once that happens, it is virtually impossible to speak with them.

Clayton Homes took 63 days to hook my gas up so I could not cook or take a bath during that entire time. When I called, I was told "it's top priority, the top of the list. We'll send someone out right away". Another two weeks would go by and I would keep calling with the same response. Then to top everything off, it took them ANOTHER 24 days after that to get me a refrigerator! I have no idea what I would have done if I had kids here. Living in this home is like living on a movie set. It's all smoke and mirrors. Once you open a cabinet or look a little closer with the lights on, you see just how cheap everything is. The cabinets are literally made of cardboard like material. The door and window trim is made from the same stuff.

Clayton Homes advertises Energy Smart Homes, but they DO NOT INSULATE AROUND DOORS OR WINDOWS!! I discovered this by accident when they replaced my front door. Take the door or window trim off the wall and you can literally look outside! No wonder I almost froze to death this past winter! Ice formed around the doors and windows when the temp dropped to minus 11. Moisture got behind the wall next to the back door, froze and sealed that door. We had to rent a 36000 btu heater to thaw it out and get it to open.

The furnace is placed in the wrong location. The end of the house so the master bed and bath get no air at all. My razor froze on the shower shelf during the winter. You freeze all winter and then roast all summer. I can not open any of the windows on nice days because the cheap windows they use have a design flaw. Every window and door frame have small drain holes on either side. Those holes are just big enough to let flies and mosquitoes into the home. If you close those holes up, water backs up and voids the warranty. So, if you have a nice day and want to let some fresh air inside... you can't. When I complained about the local sales crew, the manager at Clayton Homes of Troy started calling my relatives and hanging up when they answered. He would also leave 4.5 minute weird music on the voice mail if no one answered. I had to threaten legal action to get it to stop.

If you leave a negative comment on Clayton Homes website or Facebook page, they delete it and block you so that you can not leave any comments again. The local Clayton Homes of Troy Facebook page does the same thing. All of the positive reviews are from THE EMPLOYEES and their relatives which you don't know until after you have purchased and start to recognize names. Clayton Homes is a huge scam and rip-off! They have no pride in their work. Could care less. Don't want to hear from you. I was told that most people just accept what they get and that I should do the same. I paid $60,000 for something that cost maybe at most $15,000.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clayton Homes?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I purchased a Fiesta home from Clayton Homes, which was doing business as Luv Homes in 2006. Two or three weeks into it, I noticed a soft spot in the kitchen area. I send a letter and a list of other complaints I had at that time. They send someone out to check, I was told they couldn't find anything wrong. Then I noticed the bottom of the kitchen cabinet was starting to buckle out. Since then I have had numerous soft spots in the floor. There is water leaking through windows and areas around back door, which has finally caused the floor to weaken. I feel that I have been paying for something that is not worth it. I have also had a/c problems, mold problems, window that just burst out for no apparent reason and other problems.

My husband and I had looked at a lot of mobile homes in our area. Due to our credit not being the best we had put off trying to purchase a home until our credit was a little better. Clayton Homes had a special one weekend in our town so we thought we would try again even though we did avoid going to them due to the reviews. Well I can tell you the reviews are very true. We have had the worst first time home buyer experience you could possible have. We were not fully informed of certain issues we were responsible for when we volunteered to handle the skirting. We were not told we had to buy it out of our pocket if we were going to install it. They put us down as doing our own electrical work when we had told them we were only doing plumbing, skirting, pad, and trim out so we had to pay an extra $100 to buy the permit for the electrical.

I finally got the company to buy the skirting after it sat on our land for 2 months without any and we have installed it. The shingles are falling off and I have a list of about 20 things that is wrong. I have finally got the factory involved but have been told they will not fix any of the cracks in our sheet rock because that is part of the trim out and we are responsible for it. Our dining room floor is buckled and that is from the decking not being correct and they are supposedly going to send some contractors out that work for the factory to fix my list but I won't believe it until it is done. We have been in this home for 3 months and you can tell that this company does not care anything about fixing their issues because they always blame someone else and pass the buck.

If you are looking at buying a mobile home do NOT go to Clayton Homes anywhere. I would strongly suggest you read reviews and research these companies before making such a major investment. I will never recommend this company to anyone. I have only uploaded some of the outside issues, but I have a ton of other pictures from the inside that I don't have on this computer. The eve metal is bent to hell and there are holes in our vinyl siding that they sent someone out there 3 times to fix and still missed some. The shingles are broke and needing to be fixed.

I'm telling you in this company they don't believe in the customer is always right or making anyone happy or satisfied. They have one handyman for the entire panhandle they cover and he even told me he doesn't have time to stay at one person's home to fix a lot of issues because he has so many to do and he is the only one they have. It is poor management on their part to sell homes to people and then can not even make sure their homes are complete and able to be lived in comfortably and fix anything in a timely manner. It's ridiculous the kind of company they are and they get away with it even after so many bad reviews and complaints. I have filed a BBB complaint also and if they don't fix to my satisfaction I will be hiring an attorney which I know several because I work for attorneys. I feel sorry for everyone who has listed their complaints on here. It is sad to see Clayton is so bad throughout the country.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We purchased our home in February 2012 during the Minot Home Show. The Home was bought thru Iseman's of Minot. We were told our home had a PROPOSED delivery date of June 1, 2012. We had 4 months to sell our current home. We were so excited about this home, we kept looking on the Iseman's website at it!! My husband, not being very computer savvy clicked on the SD location by accident. We saw the same exact home that we just purchased for about $10,000.00 cheaper!!! I immediately called the number listed in South Dakota. The Sales Rep (Toby @ **) at this location sent me a QUOTE for the same exact house, being delivered to the same exact location for $10,000.00 cheaper than what we purchased it at the Minot Home Show. Keeping in mind this is when the Oil Boom was at their prime and sale prices skyrocketed out of control.

First thing I did the next morning, I contacted my Sales Rep, Mike ** with Iseman's Homes in Minot and told him I wanted to cancel our contract, due to the fact we were a victim of Price gouging!!! Upon request of the Sales Manager of Iseman's in Minot, he asked if I could send him a copy of the quote (which is dated March 12, 2012) I received from THEIR office in South Dakota. Meanwhile, the first couple to look at our current home, put a deposit down, with a contingency of our new home becoming available and livable.

On March 16, 2012 at 9:30 PM, we received a call from Timothy ** (cell # **). Tim advised us this was a true MISTAKE!! "The Sales Rep in South Dakota was a new Rep and didn't know what he was doing. The home he sent you a quote on was not a "NEW" home." If we were to purchase this home we would not be able to pick out the colors that we wanted. We spent approximately 45 min. on the phone with him. During this time, we realized Mr. **'s words were very slurred!! We had MANY, MANY questions for him. Questions that Mr. ** could not answer!! Mr. ** ended the call by stating " YOU PEOPLE ARE PISSING ME OFF" and hung up on us.

We received an email from Tim, stating that he was assuring us he is doing everything possible to make us happy. He had us convinced the cheaper home did not have anything we wanted in our original contract that we signed in Minot. Foolishly, we believed him!! Tim offered to take $1329.00 off our original purchase, and we were to keep this "hush-hush" due to them selling several homes at the Indoor Sale for our original price.

So we receive another quote from Tim, dated February 2012 for the lesser amount. To fast forward all this... June 1, 2012 comes, and guess what??? Per Mike ** at Iseman's in Minot, they have no idea where our house is!!! Since we have already sold our current home and will be homeless in a few weeks, good ole Mike ** offers us his camper to live in until they locate our house (nice guy huh!). We let our buyers know our predicament and they are willing to wait until our house is ready. Mind you, this is June!!! After a million phone calls and trips to the Minot Sales office they finally FIND our home. The time frame has now jumped to the middle of August!!! To make a long story short, we are finally able to move into our home October 2012.

This home was sold to us under the understanding it was "NORTH DAKOTA made". Hahahaha!!! The first storm that we experienced, half the siding of the home blew off!! We called Iseman's who told us we now needed to contact "Clayton Homes". I get in contact with Larry ** of Clayton Homes. I tell him what happened with the siding. He sends his crew out and reassures us that they have the problem solved. He STATED, "The siding was not properly attached, every other piece was stapled in, however we fixed it and you won't have any other problems."

The next winter comes, 2013, a few more pieces of siding fly off the home. We thought OK we can just get that fixed. 2014 comes, a few more pieces of siding fly off. Ok now this is becoming an issue. Upon speaking to the contractor who we had to hire to fix the siding on numerous occasions, he stated, "The entire house is only stapled together and the pieces of the siding are too far apart, they barely touch each other. You will continuously have this problem until you re-side the entire house!!!"

So now we contact Larry ** again. I let him know and send him emails and pictures of the siding, not only is the siding coming off, but all the windows on the North side of the house have been replaced by us, due to stress cracks, and they need to be replaced again, not even a year after replacing them with THEIR windows!!! I have also sent him pictures of all the cracks in every corner this house has to offer, including down the main seam where the two pieces were put together.

Larry ** and his "Uppers" told us, "As a customer courtesy, we will reimburse you the $125.00 you paid to Kolden Construction for the repairs done to the home in October 2016. And as already agreed to, we will be more than happy to send you 4 square of siding, at no charge to use towards future repairs." FUTURE REPAIRS!!! Which tells me they know they screwed me over and will not fix the problem but they are willing to send me material so I can fix it!!!

First of all, the siding they are willing to send me will not match the siding currently on the house, due to the poor quality of the siding and it's fading. Secondly, if they are will to send me material and parts for FUTURE repairs, what does that tell you... They know their quality of workmanship is poor. So I asked Larry, "If you bought a $100,000.00 Corvette, and all of a sudden the paint started chipping off, would you be satisfied with touch up paint for future repairs???" Well, this home is my corvette!!! My home is only 4 yrs. old and this company is telling me that due to the warranty expiring, the repairs to the siding is at my cost!!! Imagine that!!! A home that cost you well over $90,000.00 and it is already starting to deteriorate!!!

I am not sure if you can see the pictures, but I have included pictures to back my story. Unfortunately, I have a video of the siding blowing in the wind and your site does not support videos. Please contact me if you would like to see this video! This couple had no problem with that since they had a home of their own to sell. We stayed in CONSTANT contact with our Sales Rep. from Iseman's Homes in Minot ND; Mike **. Mike kept reassuring us everything was on schedule!!! Once May of 2012 arrived, I then contacted Mike **.

Bought this place 18 months ago new. Started having problems as soon as we moved in. Most of the trim inside had not been nailed on (some still hasn't). When complained they sent out repairman who hammered a few brads in and then covered them with white caulking, no paint. This left large places on molding that now look rough and unfinished. Next both doors began leaking when it rained, took 5 visits to fix problem. Wind hit back door and blew it across room and into inner door, inner door had to be remounted. Outer door had to be replaced as it had been incorrectly mounted at the factory. Pipes kept freezing in cold weather until well was covered with insulation. Entire house was out of kilter and slumped into the center between both halves (double wide). Inner and outer walls were cracked as home settled. Repair consisted of white silicone caulk and paint over caulk, which lasted about 1 month.

Oven stopped working after 3 months, had to wait 3 weeks for new part for repair. Floors began to warp and buckle after 5 months as supports began to sink into soft ground below home. Repair consisted of a new jack under one spot that was sagging, which caused the floor to raise and a dimple to appear in floor. Counter tops began peeling off in long sections, repaired 6 times over 1 year period. One month before warranty ended factory refused to make any further repairs. Air conditioner began freezing in summer when used. Installer came out 4 times to repair but it is still freezing and now the warranty is up. Walls were supposed to be textured dry wall, instead it is paper with plaster cover. All walls have cracked around windows. None of the inner doors would open or close properly when we moved in, took 4 months to get them corrected.

Floors began to creak and bounce after 6 months, caused by the joints not being laid over the floor joists so joints "float" causing entire home to shake and bounce when walking through. No correction was ever offered. Outer walls are concrete board, and all are cracking and separating from one another. Area around septic tank caved in and they sent out someone to refill it (after 4 months) then it caved in again about 2 months before the warranty ran out and they put off fixing it until the warranty ran out and now refuse to do anything. All outside pipes leaked and needed to be replaced.

Home was painted wrong colors at factory and when complained about was given correct paint and told to paint it myself. Insulation is a laugh, home gets to over 90 degrees in Summer with the airconditioner on, electric bill runs $300-400 a MONTH for energy efficient home. All in all, it has been a $147,000 disaster. Don't EVER buy from Clayton Homes, they make cheap garbage and don't stand behind it even when the warranty is still in force.

I have been in contact with this company to remove a mobile home on land I purchased. I was initially told the mobile home would be removed by 02/01/2017. We are now at 03/16/2017. When I made follow-up calls I was told "We are waiting on it to sell." This is my land and with that mobile home on it I cannot move onto the land. I have spoken to James ** twice (865-380-3000 ext. **). Each time he promised to call me back with a date for it to be removed. I have not heard from him or his company. Now when I call my calls are sent directly to voice mail. Because I cannot move onto my land I am being forced to drive 175 miles round-trip to work daily and another 60 miles a day to see my children. Guess I need to get my own tractor and put it in the road ditch and let them get it from the Highway Department.

I bought a home from Clayton Homes in Evans Co. It will be 4 yrs this summer. I had looked at this home for a yr. I knew it inside and out. I knew what features I wanted. I went to Evans Co because they sold Shultz homes and thats what I wanted. My nephew had got me hooked up with the salesman Justin. He had plaques on the wall for being the best salesman. This guy did not have his head in the game, I ordered the trailer with the features I wanted. As soon as they got their money which I paid cash for the work slowed to snail pace.

At the end of ordering we a were going thru the details I was starting to freak out at the price this home was costing me. We were going to go all gas in the home but Justin had said that a gas water heater if it went out are hard to install plus pricey so we went gas and electric. Then we discussed the voltage. I was going to save 100.00 to go with 100amp hm. When the electrician came to hook the trailer up he asked if I had ordered central air which I did, the electrician said there wasnt enough room in the box to hook it up so it cost me an extra 1075.00 to get another box for the central air.

Now to me when you are ordering central air its the salesman job to let you know you need 200 amp home. So instead of it costing 100$ it cost 1075.00. The trailer is the wrong color, my oven vent leaks water down on my stove when it rains. I was told that was normal. Anyway I had numerous things wrong, they came the first yr and did some inside work but ignored me the outside work. I upgraded the siding to cemplank which cost me more. It was not put on right. I was told that was normal. I wrote the BBB. Clayton ignored them.

So I got a lawyer. My lawyer sent off letters to clayton corp and the office and shultz. So then finally I heard back from the manager there Mike, he did his phony salesman ** apologizing for everything. So last summer they came out and worked 2 days and left not finished. So now spring is coming in on yr 4. I sent Mike an email getting madder and madder as Im writing it. So I get a call from them. They made an appt for today the 14th - 17th no show so Im going to try to get a hold of them tomorrow morning. If I dont hear back Im going back to the lawyer and Im suing them for the cost of my trailer.

My advice to those looking to purchase a trailer DONT GO TO CLAYTON HOMES and if you do, write everything down and keep all emails and text messaging. I saved everything!! They are the worst company I have ever dealt with. Makes me wonder if I wasnt a female if I would have gotten better service. Something needs to be done with this company. This is people hard earned money and lives that this company is messing with.

We have been told by two Clayton Homes that they would build us a house. The first never even went to my land. The second one told us it would be finished in April. They haven't even started on it. I have been doing this for 3 years. DONT TRUST CLAYTON HOMES.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

This is a warning to anyone buying a home from any Clayton lot in the Knoxville TN. If you have bought from any Clayton lot make sure tie downs were put on. I have lived in my home for over 13 years. I didn't know until I sold my house and was told it wasn't anchored.

Bought mobile home in Feb 2015. Doors, floors and most recently furnace have had issues. Just had to pay $425 for furnaces. Repairs on something 2 years old. Ceiling cracked doors don't close properly and outer doors not square. Mobile home not worth the money I paid.

My husband and I moved into our new Clayton home in May 2014. From day 1 of moving our home in we had problems. Our house flooded when pipes were hooked up wrong. Dishwasher wasn't hooked up correctly and flooded kitchen. AC didn't work. And the list goes on. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, we gave them over a year to get this stuff fixed.

Right after our year ran out on getting things fixed we had a leaking roof, glass door fell out of frame in the kitchen, fireplace leaked and smoked up the house, shower cracked, bathtub cracked, water leaked through light fixtures in the kitchen, ceilings were cracked, faucets were broken and toilet seats broke in half. The walls have gaps between them where they meet, cabinets that were dark wood now look like they are faded and have paint coming off of them.

We've had over 15 sets of contractors sent by Clayton Homes to come out to look at our house and fix it. They would all come one time and promise to be back in a week or so and never return. This house is 3 years old and is falling completely apart. Please listen to us when we say NEVER trust Clayton Homes or believe the mess that they promise. Something that we thought would last for a long time has fallen apart in less than 3 years. And now we are stuck with it. There are so many things wrong with this house that I could never list them all. But this is a very good sign of what they have to offer. Junk!!!

This is our first "Major" purchase and I'm a satisfied customer. Our first home we bought cash and we needed something bigger. One day while out just browsing we stopped by Clayton Homes in North Charleston because we have always loved their designs and quality. That's where we met our home angel agent Brad **. From day one Brad was honest and work extremely hard to help us get what we wanted. He was available almost every time I called and emailed me back with answers to any questions I had almost immediately. Many days we wanted to give up but he gave us reassurance that everything would be fine and that Vanderbilt would do all they could to work with us and they did. From start to finish with our situation the entire process took about 3 months to close. Our rates at good!

I read some of the reviews previously about how Vanderbilt is a rip off and they don't care about their customers, in doing so I compiled a list of questions based off of the complaints I read so that I could find clarity on what was expected and from the answers I received I came to one conclusion about the people who had complaints - all of them were either behind in their mortgage or couldn't afford it! As long as you pay your debts on time you don't have to worry about collection calls. Vanderbilt reserved the right to call about their payments the day you signed on the dotted line, so don't make them out to be bad guys when you are not holding up to 100% of your end of the deal. For any newcomers reading this post I recommend Clayton Homes of North Charleston and our angel Brad ** to assist you in the purchase of your new dream. Good Luck!

New home headaches. I purchased a new Clayton manufactured home in August 2016. It was delivered and setup in October and I have to say that my experience with Clayton Homes has been more than I ever thought. This is my 6th new manufactured home but the first one that I can say that I had issues with. In dealing with the issues of ice on my walls in the cold weather and a back door that won't stay shut when it gets cold to open access doors in the belly of the home that allowed Northern Illinois winter weather to get in and freeze everything up Clayton has stood behind the home 110%.

As for the dealer that I purchased the home from, well maybe they have stood behind it 68% of the time. Because we are so far away from any dealer Clayton Homes has hired area people to come in and take care of the issues that I've had. One of my major things is to keep all documentation either e-mail or written form. This will come in handy if side of the parties involved wants to do the hide and seek trick.

Clayton Homes Lebanon - It's not that the experience was too awful bad with this dealership but they use a podunk mortgage company out of Springfield. One man show and the one man is an **. To put it bluntly does not know what he is doing. If he did it would not have been one thing after another that he needed from me. My loan did close but no thanks to this loan company called home mortgage. I checked and they have not been in business long and with the treatment you get they won't be in business much longer. We can hope not any way rude not knowledgeable and can't remember one day to next what he did and didn't do day before. I may be young but I ain't stupid and wish I would have went to my bank where I bought my first house.

Clayton home... Stop. Don't buy. I didn't get what I paid for. They put me off for 8 mo. Then said my 1 yr warranty was up. Don't buy. I'm stuck. They took my money... They wouldn't fix their home. God I'm so disappointed.

STAY AWAY! We are always current on our 9 year mortgage but are looking at letting the home go into foreclosure. After only 2 years the roof leaks began and continue to show up in every room. We just found our 4th one 2 days ago after several days of moderate rain. Of course the one year warranty is long gone, and we have no more money to continue to fix so many leaks AND pay a mortgage and a lot fee. Inspectors have told us the roof installation was one of the WORST they have ever seen, and the roof shouldn't have to be replaced when we found the first leak. We are HEARTBROKEN. This home was intended to be our retirement home, and it's literally falling down all around us. God only knows where the next one will show up.

Neither Clayton Homes nor Vanderbilt Mortgage nor HomeFirst Insurance Agency (all owned by Berkshire Hathaway) will not stand behind us and help us by either making the necessary repairs or replacing this substandard lemon that fell off the assembly line. HomeFirst also cancelled our insurance after the first and only claim, so now we are paying higher rates elsewhere. I hope this information will help at least one other person to avoid the mess we have found ourselves in.

My 80 year mother bought a new custom ordered home. It is not the quality that was promised and their service department is also bad. I wish we would have not paid cash. The sales lady is a liar and product is inferior. The cabinets are destroyed already and are nothing but paper. I have reported them to the BBB in 2014 but nothing was done. Will never buy another.

When I say I WOULD NEVER AGAIN BUY ANYTHING FROM CLAYTON HOMES, I mean never, I bought a trailer in August 2007, it was GARBAGE, I already never wanted a trailer, but after Katrina, I had no choice. Well for starters THE FLOORING WAS PARTICLE BOARD, NOT REAL WOOD, ROOF WAS LEAKING, just a hot mess. If I could turn back the hands of time I would. Thanks for letting me vent. Desperate in Louisiana.

We visited Clayton homes in Mobile Alabama and it turned out to be the biggest mistake my wife and I have ever made. If I could go back and change any of it I would, we should of went to Wayne Frier Homes. It's such a long story. It would take me a couple of hours to detail all the problems that we have had and it still continues after 2 years with no resolve. All I kept hearing is that's "we will take care of it in a couple of days," those days are still in waiting. Clayton Homes SUCK, SUCK, SUCK. I want my money back. I don't feel safe in a piece of ** tin can. I cringe when a storm approaches, I cringe at the thought of a hurricane, and I cringe when I send in a payment for a piece of **.

Thank you Clayton for not listening to what I wanted and what your salesman Steve provided. Lies, lies, lies. I'm so ashamed to say I own a Clayton home. If anyone wants to find a home in a mobile home please do your research, look at the reviews. I'm a first time home buyer and I trusted someone that was trying to help but turned out to pad their own pockets and didn't give two ** about the consumer. I will do all in my power to direct others away from Clayton Homes.

I purchased our Fleetwood home in 2000. I was never so disappointed and this purchase fireplace burnt up in 1 year Plumbing falling apart leaks everywhere from bathrooms 2 kitchen toilets sinks kitchen sinks tubs showers - they all like kitchen cabinet kitchen cabinet drawers falling apart. Heating? What heat? The house is cold all winter and the house is cold all winter. The bills are atrocious. This $55,000 home was not worth signing the paperwork. Now fixing it up can't sell it. No one will buy it because it's a Fleetwood home. Wish I would have known before I bought Fleetwood. It was a waste of our hard-earned money.

Went to look at a new home. Was not sure if Clayton Homes could replace my current home with a new one more up-to-date. Sure they could. Informed them the title to our current home was deeded with the property. It was "No Problem." They could handle that. LIE!!! They couldn't do it. Sent emails to see if I would receive my money back... NO RESPONSE!!! So, I assume I am out of the $750 they needed to do appraisal/title/taxes. I would no longer recommend them to anyone. When you say I will get my money back, I assume I will get my money back. THIEVES!!! LIARS!!! I will now look into getting a home built for me instead of ever going to Clayton Homes again!

Very disappointed with Freedom Homes... I would not recommend anyone and will post this on every page that I can find... My wife and I lost everything after the 2016 flood and Living in a Travel Trailer. After looking for a home we found the ONE!! Our salesman give us a flyer on the sale. The floor model Lexington - it has the serial number on the flyer. It was very clear that we would get the one on the lot. We wrote everything up paid $1000.00 down to secure the home. (SO THAT IT WOULD NOT BE SOLD) Now we are told they sold our home and can't get another one for months if then. I have a signed Sales Agreement and they cashed my 1000.00. After going around and around with manager, he said "Nothing I can do." How SAD is this that they don't care. I have to start this process over again. IT'S NOT RIGHT.

The manager said it an error and it's not. THEY KNOW WHAT THEY WERE DOING. Did not call us. We had to find out by going up there. WE WERE PLACING INSURANCE ON IT. I have called twice to CMH Homes in Maryville TN the home office and they have not called back. This is not over. I will do everything that I can to get the word out!!!

Have had our home for 2 years and have had nothing but problems. Purchased in OKC. I feel like I live in a cardboard box. They skimped in every possible way with quality. It took a week in 97 degree temps to receive our AC unit. Since then it is a constant freeze up! Have refilled refrigerant twice. Now after spending $300 to diagnose, we have discovered Clayton used cheap aluminum piping causing the refrigerant to seep out. Including the unit itself. Will have to buy a new unit and copper piping. Paneling pieces falling apart. Shingles flying off the roof. Water stains in the ceiling. Window panes falling out. Oh and my sons ceiling fan literally fell out of the ceiling yesterday with it on high and him in the room! Luckily not hit. It's a beautiful home but looks are deceiving.

When I was looking at homes Clayton told me that they purchase the property, that way development wasn't held up, then the land and home would be sold as a package to me. If I took the lot model I would be able to move in by August 31st. I bit hook line and sinker!! I ended up purchasing the land and home in the same loan but Clayton did not purchase the land. Because this delayed development they committed to having me in by September 30th. It didn't happen, one error after another!

They gave me the keys to have the washer/dryer delivered and the bank was supposed be coming that day. When I entered the home I was shocked! Door frames were lying on the floor, the carpet was not nailed down, the toilets had been used and disgusting! Mud/dirt had been spread throughout the house, plaster dust was everywhere. I called and they sent someone out immediately... It took them 3 more days. Then I was finally given the keys and the steps into the house front or back were not done and they make you sign a document saying that it's ok that cabinet doors are crooked and that nails and staples may be loose or showing. What the heck!!

I still have the following problems: toilet lids don't belong to the toilets I have, the exhaust fan in the master was removed and not replaced yet, there is a chip in the counter where a nail came up, the panel on the back of the island has all the staples popping out and it's heavily scarred, the fan hood over the stove is white and the appliances are black, the nails in the carpet are very painful when you step on them. The dishwasher isn't hooked up, the window sills in the living room are bubbled and warped, the light over the kitchen island does not work. The blind in one room was cut too short and falls when you try to open it, the first time it scarred my wine table. There is no icemaker in the freezer like what was presented. This is the most exhausting and regretful decision I have ever made!

I purchased a mobile home from Clayton Homes in Dyersburg, in November of 2015 (the Breeze) at a cost of over 36,000. I am extremely dissatisfied with the quality of materials used on and in this home. To begin, the model I viewed on their lot had appliances like GE, Maytag, Whirlpool. The unit I was given had Frigidaire, somewhat lesser quality appliance. Then, had to call them to fix border of wallpaper not being tacked down properly, unfinished cabinets, rough, unpainted surfaces, the master bath vinyl floor had 1 inch staples exposed, the wallpaper is tissue thin, anything hung or adhered to it tears it, the carpet in both rooms 1/8 inch deep, hardly a plush carpet. Doors that do not remain closed (possible unlevel) and uneven gaps around door frames. ALL of the vinyl siding around my home is rippling, as if it's melting in the heat, There are gaps in the siding allowing rain and moisture to affect the insulating materials, outlets not working.

There are numerous other issues in addition to what I have mentioned which I HAVE addressed to the sales rep and maintenance person at Clayton, numerous times, the first was on 07/20/16, then 08/02/16, 08/30/16 then 09/21/16. I believe they are waiting for my 1 year manufacturing warranty to expire, in November, so they will not have to fix these problems. Though I did purchase an extended 5 year warranty, and fear it will not be honored. I do not recommend anyone to purchase Clayton homes, and I will pursue further with the CEO to correct all the issues. I have used, literally, every cent I had, to purchase this home and all that was necessary to set it up. I am disabled and unable to work, and feel I was taken advantage of by this company. And will hold them liable for any health or safety issues I may get due to their negligence.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I purchased my new home in 2014 (August) from Clayton Homes in Anderson SC. My home was made in 2013. Ever since this high priced piece of crap has been moved out here I have had problems after problems. I have just replaced my roof as of September 26, 2016. The roof was put on with staples and was put on wrong. Pictures to follow. They will tell you what quality the homes are built, bait you and when you sign the contract getting a decent contractor to fix the issues within the year of signing was almost impossible. Now after a little after 3 years and having to pay a $500.00 deductible for my new roof it is time to complain AGAIN. I would like my deductible paid back to me. I discourage anyone wanting to purchase a new mobile home to NOT go to Clayton Homes. I know if I could do it all over again I would and would run the other way.

Expert Review

Joseph TruiniHome Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.    More about Joseph→

Clayton Homes was founded in 1956 and specializes in affordable, quality-built modular and manufactured homes. It offers floor plans for a wide variety of home sizes and styles.​

• Different building methods: Clayton builds traditional site-built homes, modular homes, manufactured homes and tiny houses.
  • Offers trade-ins: Customers can trade in their current home for a new manufactured home in order to save on costs.
  • Homes with basements are available: Clayton Homes can be ordered with a full basement.
  • Model homes available in most locations: Users can visit a Clayton Home Center to see model homes or set up a tour.
  • Environmentally friendly: Clayton has received an ISO (International Organization for Standardization) certification for green building standards.
  • Customizable options: Homebuyers with specific needs can get a custom-built home.
  • Best for Clayton Homes is best for people on a budget, buyers with time constraints and people with special needs.

Clayton Homes Company Profile