2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

4.2/5 (523 ratings)

About Clayton Homes

Clayton Homes is a manufactured home builder that offers an array of home types, from traditional site-built homes to tiny homes. With a focus on green building practices and multiple customizable features available, Clayton Homes can help you achieve homeownership within your budget.

Pros

• Customization available
  • Choice of quality home brands
  • Energy-efficient homes

Cons

• Potential land restrictions
  • Complex modular home financing

Bottom Line

Clayton Homes offers a wide array of home types and prices to choose from along with energy-efficient features and options. The company works with multiple name-brand home equipment and appliance brands.

Top Clayton Homes Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The home buying process at Clayton was very easy. I couldn't ask for anything better. Their manager Tracy was outstanding. If I had any questions, she handled it right away... Eve...

Verified

I was recommended by a family member that owned a home through Clayton Homes. The buying process was easy. There was no stress and I was never pressured into buying a home. Everyo...

What is Clayton Homes?

Clayton Homes is a homebuilding company that offers a variety of home styles, including tiny homes, modular homes, apartment complexes and more. The company has been in business for more than 60 years and has experience with the intricate and complex processes that go into building your perfect home. The company is ISO 14001- and LEED-certified for green building projects. It also offers ENERGY STAR-certified homes for environmentally conscious buyers.

How does Clayton Homes work?

After working with a Clayton Homes specialist to design your dream home, the next step is to find the right land and secure financing. If you haven’t found the right space for your Clayton Home, the company’s team of professionals work with you to find land that fits your needs and budget.

Clayton Homes are built by first selecting from a variety of trusted home equipment and appliance brands, including MOEN, Frigidaire and Georgia-Pacific. The steel foundation is then laid before the flooring and plumbing system is installed. Next, the exterior walls and roofing are constructed, followed by a thorough inspection. Additional land improvements can be made if necessary or requested.

Clayton Homes prices

The cost of a home from Clayton Homes is based on factors including the size, brands used, type of home and selected features. Most homes start in the $140,000 range. The average price of a Clayton Home built in 2019 was $312,286.

Without land, the average price for a home built off-site cost $78,817. You can expect additional costs for various features such as energy-saving appliances or materials. Homeowners looking to reduce costs can work with Clayton Homes to eliminate features or opt for more affordable home appliance and equipment brands.

Clayton Homes FAQ

Who owns Clayton Homes?
Clayton Homes is owned by Berkshire Hathaway. The company was created in 1956 by Jim Clayton.
Are Clayton Homes modular?
Clayton Homes does build modular homes. Other home types are also available for purchase, including site-built homes and tiny houses.
Do Clayton Homes come furnished?
No, homeowners are required to furnish their homes. Homes built by Clayton Homes do include kitchen, bathroom and other appliances requested by the homeowner.
How much are Clayton Homes?
The price of Clayton Homes varies based on the selections made by the buyer. Costs include the price for labor, the appliances and materials selected and other various fees.
How much of a down payment do you need for Clayton Homes?
The amount of down payment necessary for a Clayton Home depends on the financing you receive. For instance, FHA loans require a minimum of 3.5% of the sales price as a down payment.
Does Clayton Homes help find land?
Clayton Homes helps customers find land for their homes. If the consultant is unable to find land, the company has an extensive network of local real estate professionals ready to help.
Is Clayton Homes a good company?
With the variety of homes and features available, along with energy-efficient options and green building certifications, many customers agree that Clayton Homes is a good company to work with.
What credit score do you need to get a Clayton home?
The credit score needed to buy a Clayton home is based on the loan type required. Conventional loans will need higher credit scores, usually in the 680 or higher range, while FHA loans are available with lower credit scores of 580 and above.
Are Clayton Homes built well?
Yes. In addition to quality building practices and materials, each build is thoroughly inspected. Each build comes with the Clayton Built stamp of approval, which is the company’s commitment to building excellence.

Are Clayton Homes good?

Clayton Homes provides a myriad of home types and features to choose from. These homes are ideal for the homebuyer who wants some control over the homebuilding process without the hefty price tag. Additionally, the company’s commitment to green building and energy-efficiency is a benefit for homeowners looking to actively reduce their energy bills or carbon footprint.

Clayton Homes Reviews

Resolution response: Aug. 26, 2021

It's good to know that Clayton has committed to a re-training session so that this problem doesn't become chronic.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

In general, the construction is good. But there is an area that needs more attention: the caulking of the exterior windows. My 1 year warranty expired around 10 days ago! Yesterday we had a major, BLOWING rainfall, and three of my windows leaked from the head (top) of the windows, and water dripped down onto the sill. I borrowed an extension ladder and removed the top trim on the exterior side of the windows and found no caulking was used at the window head other than the caulking at the top side of the window trim. And the bead of caulking used at the window head trim was not continuous, which explains the leaks. I can replace the caulking myself. But some homeowners cannot. WHY DIDN'T CLAYTON HOMES CAULK THE WINDOWS PROPERLY WHEN THEY WERE INSTALLED IN THE FACTORY? It doesn't take much more time to do it right the first time!!!

Clayton Homes response

Michael, thank you for reaching out in regard to your leaking window in your Anniversary model home. We appreciate your patience while we review the information that you provided. We reached out to our home building facility in Waco, Texas with your concerns of the windows not being properly caulked during the build of your home. They have acknowledged these concerns, send their apologies, and are planning to implement some training classes in the facility to ensure we are building a better product going forward. We would like mention it’s always a good idea to check your home sealant every year. In your Clayton Homeowner Manual on page 21, its recommended to check around roof & wall vents, windows and door frames, and other openings in the wall & roof at least annually. Remove any materials that are cracked, dry, or peeling away. Re-caulk or reseal with flexible, non-hardening caulks and sealants. You can also find many more helpful tips on pages 21-27 that will provide you with the necessary knowledge to maintain and get the most out of your Clayton Anniversary home.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 10, 2021

The purchasing process at Clayton was simple. Everything was explained to us as we went along, step by step, very clear what was going on from one step to another. Any kind of paperwork or anything that they needed from us was simple. They made it very simple. The whole experience with them was so easy. I’d need things sometimes explained to me in layman's terms and they did exactly what I wanted them to do. I brought in a notebook with me every time I spoke to them. I wrote down everything. If I didn't understand it, they had no problem explaining it simpler to me. They were just really good people to work with.

When I met the rep, Morgan, she was very kind. I said to her, “Just go step by step with me because I'll get overwhelmed.” I'm a police dispatcher, and my days are just crazy. She told me exactly step by step what I needed to do. I told her, “Okay, what's the step after that?” That was the only time she gave it to me in advance, was when I said to her, “Okay, I got that.” She also hooked me up with everybody that I needed to be hooked up with like the bank. She went way over and beyond. She was just a great person to work with.

We bought land in July. Right before we bought the land, we went into Clayton and said, “How does this process work if we wanted to buy our own land and have a home put on it?” We told her what we were looking at. She told me I just have to go from there and to get a closing done on that, to get the property, get the closing done, and then get all the paperwork over to them. She just took it from there.

She went a little further. There was a well that was supposed to be on the property that we bought, but we never found it. And we didn't want a well. We wanted to get public water and there weren't any lines. It was never lived on. It was just completely open land. Nobody wanted to take responsibility for it, whether it be the city or the county. She went way over and beyond. She got in touch with the county, and said, “These people just bought this and they're gonna live on it. You're messing with our livelihood. Somebody has to take responsibility for this piece of land and put the pipes down.” They did it with no charge. They ate about $5,000. There was no charge because it was just such a process. They didn't understand who was gonna take it and who was gonna be responsible for it. She went to bat for us.

She gave us choices and options of what we wanted. When we went to look, she gave us an open court of what we wanted. She let us go through each one of them and didn't pressure us into anything. Just told us to take our time and think about what we wanted. If we had picked something that was out of our upbringing, she gave us options for something different. We told her what we had wanted and she stayed in that area.

They had a floor plan, and that was the most fun part out of it. Going in and picking out all the colors. It was great. It turned out exactly the way that I wanted it. When we were doing that, she said to me, “If there's something in here that clashes, we have professional people, and we'll just let you know that might not go together.“ But that never happened. Everything was just the way we wanted it to be.

It started in July and we were all moved in by the end of December. That was all it took and that was during COVID time. So, that was during the time that we didn't know if we were going to get our cabinets. We didn’t know if we were gonna get our appliances. Anything that came from Mexico, we didn't know if we were gonna get it on time. We didn't know how long it was gonna take and she kept on it. She made it work. We were in there a week before Christmas. She’s a top-notch woman. We couldn't thank her enough.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Emily, thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! We are so glad we were able to offer you a peace of mind throughout your purchase process. We appreciate you so much and are so glad that you chose Clayton Homes!

Original review: May 12, 2021

We looked at West Homes and the lady up there was really pushy. We had looked at Clayton in Rogersville and we had some price and it was a little bit over our budget, but I had heard really good things about them. We found the house that we wanted in Kingsport and we went back to Clayton in Rogersville and purchased it. We added some stuff to it like a fireplace and a sliding glass door. We wanted a family room. We liked the layout of this one.

Clayton in Rogersville has went way far and beyond to help us. They are excellent. They've always tried to work with us really well with anything that we wanted to change. Any problems we've ever had, they've always been right there and helped us. We had the construction loan. We both learned a lot in between the construction loan. They worked with the Eastman Credit Union. There was no communication about anything with the escrow place that they went through to do it. We didn't like that part. That did not have anything to do with Clayton. When we got our closing cost, it ended up to being 2,000 more than we thought because they got the surveyor and they didn't let us choose a surveyor. They didn't communicate with us to say, "This has went up. The surveyor is a lot more. Your closing cost is gonna be a lot more." When it happened, it was a surprise.

Neither one also didn't tell us that there will be a fee to do the conversion over what converted from the mortgage loan conversion from the construction loan to the mortgage loan. They didn't tell us that equating it was an $1,800 charge. We had put $1,000 down and they were like $800 short. Instead of making us pay that because it wasn't our fault, Clayton let that go.

I love Dylan. We still call each other. There are a few stuff that they're getting ready to do. What happened was, we have the decks build in. We didn't have the gate put on the back. So, I called him and I asked him how much would it cost for him to build me just the gate for the back like I got on the front. He said, "Oh, don't worry about it. We'll get that." So, he's having the guy that does the decks build us a gate. They're gonna kind of put it on.

I talked to Bobby this morning and he's waiting on the guys to bring the gate to come and do it all at once. One of my blinds broke and he ordered me another blind for my sliding glass door, and they're going to come and put that on. We had rocks put on our driveway that was in our construction loan and we didn't have enough to go all the way up our driveway. When I was gonna get this guy to do it and they told me they would get Chris to come out here and put me some more rocks, and they did. I loved that they surprised me and they did it for me. I would very highly recommend all of them. They've all been really good with us.

Clayton Homes response

Angela, thank you so much for reaching out and sharing your Clayton Homes buying experience. We're happy to hear that the team you worked with was very proactive in resolving any issues.

Original review: April 7, 2021

We talked to salespeople at Clayton Homes in Harrisonburg and they helped us decide what house we wanted. The rep was very personable and answered our questions. We had our eye on a couple of different pieces of property, but most of the ones I liked were up on a mountainside. They never got the manufactured home up there. The rep came all the way from Harrisonburg up to Woodstock to look at the property and the route to make sure they could get the home there and put it on the property. That was an extra degree of trust to do that because it would have been a real waste of time. We hadn't even purchased the property yet and he told us he could get it here. So, we went ahead and bought the property and started the process of buying the home.

We are from Maryland and we've never been to a home building process. When we first were looking at the houses, we asked if would he be able to manage the whole process from permits to well, septic. He took care of all that. Everything is complicated nowadays to do anything, especially during a pandemic, but they made it as easy as it could be by taking care of all these things for us that we had no clue how to do.

For the most part, the quality of the home is great. However, the day we moved in, a doorknob fell off of an interior door. Something like that shouldn't happen. But they came out and fixed it right away. One thing that surprised me was there's no access to the attic. We had a water stain on the ceiling around the light fixture in the master bath, cause the house sat on a lot for about a month before it was ready to put on the property.

When they were getting ready to come out, said, “We'll go in your attic and make sure there's no issue.” They came out and there was no attic access. I don't know if there’s supposed to be or not. But, the stain was no issue. It’s just like a little teeny thing which was painted over. As far as the carpet, we got the upgraded carpet and then we had some features. We were looking online and saw a couple of things that weren't on the house listed as options. So, we asked the rep. We wanted a utility sink in our laundry room and he worked that out.

Clayton Homes response

Daniel, thank you so much for sharing your feedback regarding your purchase process with Clayton Homes, and your post-purchase experience! We're happy to hear that the service technicians were able to resolve any issues you had in a prompt manner of time.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

I had visited a couple other places but they didn't have the selection like they did at the Clayton Homes in Dalton where we purchased ours from. We also considered finding the closest dealer and Clayton Homes had that. When we went up to the place there in Dalton, their rep, Chris, went over everything he could to answer any questions. We found a home that we really loved and it was one of the nice ones on the front of the lot. But with the bedrooms on the left side, the master was going to be mine and my husband's, but we needed more space on one side. So we added on an extra bedroom, then we combined two of those bedrooms and made a large master bedroom for my mother that was to live with us. Chris helped us with that.

Then, we paid our down payment so they would get started and it took them a while to make our home. It was on my birthday, in May, that it arrived to the store for us to go look at it. So the process started from the end of November all the way to May. But that was understandable with the COVID virus slowing everything down. Then for Christmas, they closed for two weeks, which we knew about beforehand. So the process took a little longer than we thought but our expectations may not have been realistic given today's circumstances with the virus.

So we went and looked at the home that they made in May, then it was June 1st that it was delivered on our property. After that, it was end September when we moved in and a lot of that was due to a lot of rain we were having, so it was hard to get things quickly. There were also a few times when I felt like the communication with Clayton's reps could have been better. But as a new person doing something like that, I was just a little insecure.

So far, we're very happy with the home and it feels like a solid one. We've been through one really bad storm, the effects of that last hurricane, and we were nervous because it was our first storm in it. Fortunately, the home's out in the field and the woods are backed off from us, so we didn't have to worry about trees falling on us. But we were nervous because the winds got pretty hard for Georgia. Still, we didn't feel like we needed to leave and go get somewhere safer. The home held up really good and there was no damage to it at all. The air conditioning and the heat seem to be really efficient, too. I'm happy with our electric bill. It went up a little this past month, but that's because it's been so cold. But the home seems to be very comfortable and a cozy place. It’s such a pretty home and it has the little built-in front porch on it with the stones on the column. We get a lot of compliments on it.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, Robin. We are so glad that you were able to build your dream home!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

Easy enough to make the purchase, the "warranty" is a joke. The factory left all the appliances connected to the water system loose. Not covered under warranty.... Nothing like have to pay for repairs on a new house. The walls are so crooked the doors on one half stick out on the bottom when closed. The siding has warped off the house over the summer. All the external trim is installed poorly once you get above eye level. Noticed today that the steel framing members are bent. That seems to explain the squeaking floors above that area. And let's not forget the attempt to use PEX pipe as a bushing on the NM cable. Holy fire hazard batman! Somehow I'm supposed to file that on my homeowners policy per the customer advocacy time. They actually refused to honor the warranty on the entire house over a shut off valve being installed on the hot water heater. I would not recommend this disaster to anyone.

Clayton Homes response

Mr. Schaeffer, Clayton strives to provide a world class customer experience, and we are sorry to hear that we have not met your expectations. Freedom Homes of Bryant offered to send a service man out to identify and repair a leak that you had reported on the wall behind the furnace/hot water tank. They booked this service, however, it was explained that if the leak was from any of the items that were modified after the home was purchased, the warranty would not cover the repair. At this point, it was requested that Freedom Homes be notified if this service date would work by that Friday.

They received no confirmation for service and had not heard anything until being notified of your concern via this avenue. Unfortunately, for any items modified or worked on independently outside of the warranty, those items’ warranty is void. Please reach out to Freedom Homes, and they will be happy to provide service on any warrantable items remaining.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

STAY AWAY! My foundation has been laying here uncovered since October 2020, septic guys (Klein/Honaker,) left large mounds of dirt in my front yard, and didn't even completely cover the tank, Clayton's response....that wasn't negotiated in the contract.... Well how was I supposed to know that was something that needed negotiated?? I paid over $7,000 for set up.. That's not included?? I invited the new manager to come and look at how my place was left, he cancelled, and hasn't called me back (2 weeks ago).

Last manager lied to me about an access door in the foundation. J R Electric (heat pump installer) confirmed the heat pump Clayton sent is not big enough for my house, the heat pump runs all day long in the summer, it will not shut off! And no gutters, another lack of information on their part. There's a list of smaller things that were supposed to be fixed as well, these are the biggest issues. Get yourself a house. Clayton homes is not professional. The only positive thing I can say, is their secretary is very nice.

Clayton Homes response

Daniel, thank you for reaching out and sharing this feedback with us. We have spoken with the Home Center, the manager did confirm he had to cancel the scheduled meeting but has since reached back out to reschedule with no reply. He has again attempted contact with no response yet to try to meet with you. The HVAC is installed in accordance to the size of your home and a computer program that advises us the proper size to install. The Home center GM was reaching out to the electrician to see and check this information. The warranty for the appliances is through Frigidaire and the customer will need to call regarding their warranty on the Ice Maker. Some of the service items listed the home center was unaware and will be happy to schedule service if you will reach out to the Home Center. We reviewed the Sales Agreement and the Grading was not listed as the retailers responsibility but in good faith they did offer $500 towards the backfill.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

We have been waiting 3 months for our referral to be processed. Why give a recommendation to the company and actually landed the salesman the sale? Why so long? You made money off me and my niece. So why not pay what is owed!

Clayton Homes response

Edward, thank you for reaching out to Clayton Homes and making our team aware of these concerns. We have reached out to your retail location, and they will be contacting you to remedy this experience. We appreciate your patience and apologize for your frustrations.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

We paid for the home on December the 7th and it wasn't delivered until the second week of January. My husband and I both had COVID about that time and we weren't in the home until the 27th of March. We have several problems with the home. There were some small factory issues and the fact that the house sat on the lot for a year and a half didn't help. But the techs are supposed to be working out of Addison Alabama, which is not their territory. We don't get good help out of Bowling Green and Clayton can't keep a service person there. Also, they don't have parts on their truck. All they have are ladders and a few tools. So, the people who come here say “Oh, yeah. That needs so and so. Let me run to Lowe’s and I’ll get it”. Those are things that they should have had on the service truck. One was a clamp on the handheld showerhead. I'm 79 and I have two knee replacements, and my balance is not good. I need my handheld shower.

I'm happy with Clayton and we like our home. But I'm very dissatisfied with Bowling Green. I wound up trying to get in touch with Kevin Clayton and I wound up with his assistant. That’s when I started getting things done.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Martha, we appreciate your feedback regarding concerns with your home. Clayton Homes strives to provide a world-class customer experience, and we're sorry these items have been delayed for you. We reached out to our home building facility, and they have informed us that they have communicated to you on the next steps and ordering the countertops and scheduling work orders. They let us know they have a technician scheduled to make these repairs as soon as the countertops arrive. Thank you for your patience as we work to get these issues resolved!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

The customer service at Clayton Homes was excellent. Anytime I had a question, the rep was right there. I was never real thrilled with the quality of the home because I like marble countertops. But as far as what I paid for, it's probably right there on par.

Clayton Homes response

Carrie, thank you for taking the time to share this feedback with us! We're happy to hear that you had an excellent customer experience!

Clayton Homes Company Information