4.49/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Clayton Homes

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1956, Clayton Homes has been helping families build happiness through homeownership. We are committed to providing affordable, quality homes with a diverse range of builder offerings. Our homes include traditional, modular, tiny and manufactured homes, as well as apartments, military barracks and college dormitories. We are recognized as an innovator in our industry and pride ourselves on our integrity and reputation. Contact Clayton Homes today to own your own slice of the world to call home.

Clayton Homes Gallery (4)

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 16, 2017

358 Clayton Homes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

We met with Ryan, Clayton's salesman, and we discussed what was going on. He took us out, we looked around, and he described the houses very well to us. He was able to guide us right through what the different houses were and the not so obvious differences between how he thought our family would do in the different kinds of houses that they had. He knew what he was talking about and when we found a house, he detailed what we were supposed to do and what documents we needed. Then my wife and I acquired everything and submitted them. When Clayton Homes needed another kind of document, I was able to run and hand it to them. Their whole staff was great and they held our hand until we knew where we’re going to get the unit and when it was going to be delivered. They were very helpful in arranging all the other things that needed to be done, such as surveying, which was a great help to us.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I was very happy with the way the Clayton Homes consultants treated me. They're very personable and they went out of their way to help me in my budget and in getting what I wanted. They've been more than accommodating and they spent more than enough time with me. They asked me what I really want, and they tried to find it and they showed me. I got a new small mobile home and I had carpet in the living room, which I didn't want. So after I bought it, I had my brother put in vinyl tiling. And I needed something to go around the corner where we pulled up the carpeting. So I asked Clayton if I could order the quarter round and they ordered it for me. They called me as soon as they got it and I got it right away.

And when my daughter came in complaining about things, I told her that my mobile home cost me what my car cost. And I'm living in it. Other people are under a misconception. The only thing that I should have noticed, is that the bathtubs are smaller than normal bathtubs. Also, when there was a crack in my kitchen floor and they came to fix it, I had envisioned the whole floor replaced. They put something over it but it's still there. Otherwise, I was very happy with my home buying experience and I would recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

The guy we dealt with from Clayton Homes was very friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating. The whole process went well, even the way the mortgage was set up. The whole crew seemed good and professional. It's an excellent deal.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I liked the way the Clayton Homes were laid out and built. I also liked the price of the particular model I bought. Rick, the rep that I worked with, was good, helpful and friendly. He knew a lot about the houses and I had a good experience with him. Any of the things that may have popped up were taken cared of and addressed quickly. I bought the house, had it moved to the property and then I sold it as it was an investment.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

We got to deal with Tami who was Clayton Homes' project manager. She was in on her day off and she was great. Everything went pretty well. I'm retired so I was there watching everything and I was surprised with everything that went on. We actually went to the factory and saw the whole production line. That was interesting and so I knew how everything was done. That was good and I liked that. We've seen the modular before it was shipped.

The first crew Clayton had to put everything together looked good but they proved that they weren't. They didn't know what they were doing and I guess they were used as temporary help. Clayton fired them and brought somebody else in. The people who came in the second time knew exactly what they were doing and touched base with me on everything. I was a little leery about a couple of the workers as well. I had a big flagstone sign in front of my house with my house number and the name of the street on it, and one of them drove over it when he was setting my modular. They paid for it and replaced it, but it was still a little bit frustrating. But overall, they're very professional. I was pleased with what Clayton did. We've lived in the property for over three years before we actually did this but it worked out well. We're happy our utilities are not that expensive and everything seems efficient.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clayton Homes?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

My credit wasn't the best but Clayton Homes still worked with me, so I was very satisfied. They bent to get me in my home because they thought I wanted it. Even when I moved into my trailer and something broke, I called them and they came right out. They were awesome. My son is buying a home and now he's been looking at one from Clayton in Oklahoma.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

There was a Clayton Homes dealer right down the street from the property that I was moving to, and our interactions with their consultants were good. It took about a month to finalize and purchase our house. So far, the overall quality of the home is okay and my light bill has never been over $150. I had a couple of strips that popped off and the back patio door lock was messed up but all the problems were fixed pretty quickly.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I was highly satisfied with the home buying process and consultant at Clayton Homes. The salesman, the general manager and everybody there made me feel like family and I feel like I have two new friends. Even the maintenance man, Larry, who came and did the little things that were wrong was fantastic. I would recommend Clayton Homes to anybody, which I already have done to several people, because of the their professionalism and the home speaks for itself. I had an easygoing experience and I am very happy with the home.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Clayton Homes has lots of models that I could go see. Their representatives helped and let me see all the different homes I wanted. I’m very happy and I love the home I purchased. There were a few cosmetic issues but they’re good about fixing them for me. They gave me little porches so I could get up and down, which were real basic.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

The home buying process for Clayton Homes was good and the consultant was excellent and did a great job. We love our little house. It's very cute and I’m happy with how it looks. However, we didn’t like that the contractor didn’t deal with PG&E. Originally, when he came, he was going to do it, and then my husband made a mistake of paying him with the last and final payment. He came in and got his last payment and then told my husband that we need to contact PG&E. It was one of our biggest gripes because we felt it would have been his responsibility to get PG&E to run the wires over to the granny unit for my dad to live in and also the utility pool that needed to be moved closer to the granny unit. It was a pain and it would have been nice if the whole PG&E thing was more clarified.

It would’ve helped if they had a better layout of what to expect with our contractor. I knew it was written out and it was also itemized that we were able to take off even the bid that he gave us for the parking. We found out it was cheaper to go with cement than asphalt but he blew that one off as well. We were also able to get a local air conditioning company to do the AC install for $500 cheaper than the one that works for Clayton Homes.

The contractor didn't reach out to do that footwork for us. There was some homework on our part that we weren’t really expecting and it was crazy because we had just purchased this home. The only reason we purchased it was because it had a spot for granny that we could put on the property for my dad. This house sat vacant and there was a lot of stuff that we needed to do. The kitchen sink leaked, the stove wasn't working and a lot of little things going on.

We felt left out to figure things out on our own in a couple of areas. We also felt we were being the contractor because we got a plumber out there to put a water softener because we're on hard water. My other experience is with the contractor that came out to do the finishing work. A friend who stayed in our home said that there are still cracks on our walls. We were wondering if we were still able to call the contractor and send him back out because the trim pieces look like they need more putty.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Purchased a repo from Athens. Started with quotes including set up with skirting and steps. Time of closing was lied to stating Vanderbilt decline the charges which Vanderbilt stated was not true. Never received itemized statement what charges were. Going on two weeks no water coming to my home. Called over and over stated people were coming and still nobody has called or showed up. Have requested a Regional Manager to contact me still nothing.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Christina. We apologize for your recent home buying experience and would like to assist you. Someone from our team will be following up shortly to discuss your experience in detail.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

My overall experience with Clayton Homes was excellent and I’m extremely satisfied with the home buying process. Everything went great from the moment I walked in, to them showing me the home. They held my hand the whole way and guided me through. It was wonderful. Everything from A to Z was top-notch, including their home consultant. Also, I want to give my salesman, Wes, a high praise because he was awesome. He gave me tips on even furnishing the home, and most people wouldn’t go out of their way to do that, but he did so I greatly appreciate it. I would refer Clayton Homes 10 times out of 10.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I love my Clayton home. The consultant was great but the financing process was stressful. The experience has been a learning process.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Clayton Homes was excellent. They were so professional and did what they said they were going to do and they did everything in a simple manner with respect. I've had a good experience and I'm tickled to death.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I recently talked my wife into buying a Clayton Homes. It was the biggest mistake of my adult life. From the time we signed it was all about their schedule and needs and not about us. To start, we were forced to receive the home three weeks before we were ready. I mean forced because I continued to tell Randy in Alvin that we were not ready, gave him a date that we would be ready and still got delivery three weeks sooner than we wanted. Well that was the easy part. When it arrived it was a complete mess. I found over 25 dents in a 4-16 foot ceiling area that were half filled and repainted a different white. There were over 25 nails sticking through the entertainment center as well as six missing pieces. We found a 2 inch rip in the kitchen floor that was glued. All but a handful of trim pieces are too long or too short. In short it looks like the carpenters were chasing the thing down the road to finish.

I called the manager Dave in Alvin and asked if he could arrange to have all the problems fixed before we move in. He said we needed to wait 30 days and have power. When I asked if there were no generators available in TX he got silent. I also found two handfuls of debris on the floors including two prescription pills. This is only a small part of the many problems. I called customer service with a series of questions not once but twice. They took my statement, I asked to speak with someone about the lack of quality control. I also stated I didn't want to speak with Dave the manager. Well Dave was the only response I got and I’m still stuck.

Two weeks ago they sent contractors out with a three item list to fix, I have quality problems with every floor, window, wall and ceiling. When I talked with the contractor he explained that they would have come out with generators to fix the problems before we moved in. It just would have taken a call from Dave. My suggestion is DON’T DEAL WITH CLAYTON HOMES. Once they got our money they were done. The salesman always answers my questions with, “it should work” but never does. Now I pray for a hurricane so we don’t have to deal with this sad mess.

Mr. McCool,

I apologize for the experience you've had thus far. We take pride in the quality of our homes and appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback so we can work to improve. A member of our Customer Advocacy Team will reach out to you privately to discuss the situation further. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Clayton Homes answered most of our questions and they were very accommodating and when I couldn’t get any results from anyone else, they got the ball rolling for me. We started the home buying process with them a year and a half ago. The paperwork went through pretty quickly, and we moved in a year ago. It was in a reasonable amount of time but we were still trying to figure out what property we wanted. We’d never bought a manufactured home and we’ve never been through this process before. I’ve always dealt with a stick frame house where you look at the house and if it's the one you like, you buy it and move in. We had no clue what was all in the process and we're a little bit underwhelmed by the whole thing. Clayton Homes made an effort but I wouldn’t do it again with them. I was not impressed with their attention to detail and the whole process.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Clayton Homes is an awesome company to do business with and their homes are very nice. The home consultant was awesome, and she understood everything that I wanted to be done to the home. The buying process was slow but everything was fine. It started in February and I closed on my home on December 23rd. It was a long process with the banks, getting receipts in and checks processed. But they came out and took care of the plans that needed to be done when I first got my home. And once the house was done, they took care of me, too. I’d definitely recommend them to anyone who’s looking to buy a home.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

We’ve been trying to purchase from Clayton Homes in Fredericksburg VA. So far the experience has not gone well. Very disorganized not following up. Keep going over budget. Still trying to buy a house through them. I hope they start trying harder because I’m done with the runaround. I still have some hope they might try to turn this around.

Billy,

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your buying experience has been going so far with Clayton. A Customer Advocate is going to reach out to you and see if there is anything we can do to help.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I had wonderful help from Marjan, my salesman from Clayton Homes. He was very good and he helped me figure out how we could change the walls around and do things so that my house can work for me. At first, I had good transactions with the contractors that actually planted it on the ground but it became very poor. However, the experience was good overall. The house we got is good for what I wanted.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, Nancy. We are glad to hear that your experience with your home consultant, Marjan was so wonderful. It's important for us to hear your thoughts on the contractors who worked on your home so that we can improve our processes, and we sincerely appreciate you making us aware.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

The process of buying a home from Clayton Homes was absolutely amazing. Everything that they did for us was amazing. They were on time with everything they said they were going to do. Rick was also amazing. Any questions we had, he answered them. Anything we needed, it was taken care of promptly. If I have to do it again, would definitely choose Rick at Clayton Homes to do my home buying again. I would also definitely refer anybody looking for a home to them.

Clayton Homes response

That's wonderful news, Valerie! We appreciate you taking the time share your experience with us. Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

I'm very satisfied with the home buying process with Clayton Homes. Their people were informative and when something came up and needed to be fixed, they'd been out here to fix it. The home consultant was very friendly, outgoing, and intelligent. He helped me get through some problems and I couldn’t be happier. The land that I got did not perk so I worked with the landowner and I have a sanitation field on another piece of property, which was a big help. The consultant helped me get the overall price down on it.

We moved into our home a year ago, and I'm very satisfied with the quality of the build. My electricity went up a little bit but it was to be expected because I've been doing a great deal of canning where I've had the stove on for nine hours at a shot. The rep also helped coordinate the purchase of a garage with another company to go along with the house. We have a huge deck with a ramp on the back of the house. My mother lives with my wife and I and we got handicap toilets in the bathrooms and a handicap shower for my mother. Although the process took longer because of my land problems, it was very well coordinated through Clayton Homes.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I felt comfortable with the people I dealt with at Clayton Homes. They were good to work with and they helped me out through the whole process. It was a tough experience because we were given a lot of information but I’m really surprised it went smoother than I thought. We were trying to figure out exactly what we wanted inside the home and they were very helpful in getting me everything that I was trying to get.

I got high-efficiency appliances and some extra installation. My home got bigger than my last one but I noticed my power bill dropped so I was really happy. I went from a mobile home to a modular home and I like the energy efficient windows. It's well-constructed and very big, and when you get up next to it, you can't feel any cold coming through it. I also had a big picture window put in and that was one of the things that they helped me with because I followed in one similar to it. They worked hard and got me some information and everything I needed to get exactly what I wanted. We had problems along the way but once everything got settled, everybody did what they said they were going to do and when they said they were going to do it. Everything turned out better than I expected and I'm very happy with the home. It's a good home and a good buy.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Clayton Homes gave us one of the best deals to get a brand new house. We only financed the house since we owned the property it sits on. They didn't offer any customizations besides the vinyl color and the dishwasher for our home. But the buying experience was pretty good overall. I wasn't a huge fan of the FHA with all the paperwork and all the hoops you go to jump through but it wasn't necessarily Clayton Homes' fault. We had somebody named Destiny as our consultant and she was really good. I could call her and she'd call me back in five minutes with an answer. But they switched us to two new people and I didn't have a good response from them. Sometimes I had to call them back because they would forget. But other than that, they've taken care of me when it comes to getting stuff fixed.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Clayton Homes did me a good job. I like the way their reps explained about how I can get a home. When you're looking for a home, Clayton Homes is the one. They won't let you walk off without getting one.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

So far, everything's going well with Clayton Homes. My previous experience in terms of home buying was very nice and with good relation. The home consultant got everything operating the way it should go. I was satisfied overalll.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

The salesmen at Clayton Homes have been absolutely great. This is my first time buying a big purchase like the trailer and they were really knowledgeable. They helped me every way they could. I’m really impressed with them. The trailers that they wanted me to have in the first place wasn’t going to be ready in time for me. So, they brought a trailer in from another lot and made sure it was there three weeks before the original date. Titus was the one who helped me and he updated me every day. I could call them anytime and my questions will be answered.

Clayton Homes response

We love hearing how satisfied you are, Kayla! We take pride in offering a personalized home buying experience and in providing quality homes. We'll be sure to let Titus's team know how great he is doing! Congratulations on your new home and first big purchase! We appreciate you choosing Clayton and taking the time to share your feedback.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

The Clayton Homes reps were excellent and I'm satisfied. I got the home that I wanted, but I wanted more heavy duty cabinets inside. The reps walked me through the process and hosted everybody well. All in all, the customer service and the process were good and I recommended them to people who asked.

Clayton Homes response

That is so great to hear, Antwuan! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback. Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

The associates were really nice and willing to help. They were friendly, helpful and courteous. They did everything they could to help us out. I had a really pleasant experience with Clayton Homes.

Donald,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with Clayton. Our sales professionals work hard to ensure each customer has a good experience when buying one of our homes.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

The home buying process with Clayton Homes took a couple of hours and it went okay. The home consultant was good and honest. However, I wish I hadn’t bought a Clayton Home since it's falling apart. The ceiling looks like it is falling down and all the molding is coming off of it. We had to put the molding back up, it just falls down and I can see every rafter in the ceiling. I have insurance but my insurance won’t pay for something that was not built well. Clayton Homes sent somebody out but the boys that came said they couldn’t fix it. They took some pictures and it looks to me that they’re going to have to rip all the ceiling out. They should fix my mobile home. It's nothing against anybody that worked at Clayton Homes and the man who helped me was a very good man. However, the trailer built was the worst I’ve ever seen.

Ann,

Thank you for bring to our attention the issues with the quality of your home. Clayton strives to build top quality homes for all of our customers. When we fall short of that expectation we want to know. Someone from our Customer Advocacy Team will be reaching out shortly to talk to you.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I purchased my Clayton Home almost 5 months ago. Worst experience ever! Doors have been leaking. Repairman keeps coming out but no fix. Roof leaked my house. Had inch of rain from kitchen to living room. Floors walls and insulation under my house was soaked 4 days! I had sink in kitchen leaking repaired twice not fixed! Finally I fixed it! Mold under sink and up my walls now! Trim coming off everywhere and lots of trim is crooked like a two year old put it up! Now they wanna come and replace a lil sheetrock and trim and call it good. That way right after warranty is out I'm stuck with rotten boards in wall and floors! Unacceptable!!!! Outside the house is not level the siding is bowed out and about to pop off!!! I am thinking about getting a lawyer and putting all over newspapers and social media how terrible these homes are built!!!

Joseph,

We are so sorry to hear about the experience you have been having with Clayton. Our Customer Advocacy Team will be reaching out to you shortly to see how we can help to get your issues resolved.

Clayton Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

Clayton Homes was founded in 1956 and specializes in affordable, quality-built modular and manufactured homes. It offers floor plans for a wide variety of home sizes and styles.​

• Different building methods: Clayton builds traditional site-built homes, modular homes, manufactured homes and tiny houses.
    • Offers trade-ins: Customers can trade in their current home for a new manufactured home in order to save on costs.
    • Homes with basements are available: Clayton Homes can be ordered with a full basement.
    • Model homes available in most locations: Users can visit a Clayton Home Center to see model homes or set up a tour.
    • Environmentally friendly: Clayton has received an ISO (International Organization for Standardization) certification for green building standards.
    • Customizable options: Homebuyers with specific needs can get a custom-built home.
    • Best for: Clayton Homes is best for people on a budget, buyers with time constraints and people with special needs.
    Profile picture of Joseph Truini
    Joseph Truini

Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Clayton Homes Company Information