4.5/5 (551 ratings)

About Clayton Homes

Clayton Homes is a manufactured home builder that offers an array of home types, from traditional site-built homes to tiny homes. With a focus on green building practices and multiple customizable features available, Clayton Homes can help you achieve homeownership within your budget.

Pros

• Customization available
  • Choice of quality home brands
  • Energy-efficient homes

Cons

• Potential land restrictions
  • Complex modular home financing

Bottom Line

Clayton Homes offers a wide array of home types and prices to choose from along with energy-efficient features and options. The company works with multiple name-brand home equipment and appliance brands.

Top Clayton Homes Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The home buying process at Clayton was very easy. I couldn't ask for anything better. Their manager Tracy was outstanding. If I had any questions, she handled it right away... Eve...

Verified

I was recommended by a family member that owned a home through Clayton Homes. The buying process was easy. There was no stress and I was never pressured into buying a home. Everyo...

What is Clayton Homes?

Clayton Homes is a homebuilding company that offers a variety of home styles, including tiny homes, modular homes, apartment complexes and more. The company has been in business for more than 60 years and has experience with the intricate and complex processes that go into building your perfect home. The company is ISO 14001- and LEED-certified for green building projects. It also offers ENERGY STAR-certified homes for environmentally conscious buyers.

How does Clayton Homes work?

After working with a Clayton Homes specialist to design your dream home, the next step is to find the right land and secure financing. If you haven’t found the right space for your Clayton Home, the company’s team of professionals work with you to find land that fits your needs and budget.

Clayton Homes are built by first selecting from a variety of trusted home equipment and appliance brands, including MOEN, Frigidaire and Georgia-Pacific. The steel foundation is then laid before the flooring and plumbing system is installed. Next, the exterior walls and roofing are constructed, followed by a thorough inspection. Additional land improvements can be made if necessary or requested.

Clayton Homes prices

The cost of a home from Clayton Homes is based on factors including the size, brands used, type of home and selected features. Most homes start in the $140,000 range. The average price of a Clayton Home built in 2019 was $312,286.

Without land, the average price for a home built off-site cost $78,817. You can expect additional costs for various features such as energy-saving appliances or materials. Homeowners looking to reduce costs can work with Clayton Homes to eliminate features or opt for more affordable home appliance and equipment brands.

Clayton Homes FAQ

Who owns Clayton Homes?
Clayton Homes is owned by Berkshire Hathaway. The company was created in 1956 by Jim Clayton.
Are Clayton Homes modular?
Clayton Homes does build modular homes. Other home types are also available for purchase, including site-built homes and tiny houses.
Do Clayton Homes come furnished?
No, homeowners are required to furnish their homes. Homes built by Clayton Homes do include kitchen, bathroom and other appliances requested by the homeowner.
How much are Clayton Homes?
The price of Clayton Homes varies based on the selections made by the buyer. Costs include the price for labor, the appliances and materials selected and other various fees.
How much of a down payment do you need for Clayton Homes?
The amount of down payment necessary for a Clayton Home depends on the financing you receive. For instance, FHA loans require a minimum of 3.5% of the sales price as a down payment.
Does Clayton Homes help find land?
Clayton Homes helps customers find land for their homes. If the consultant is unable to find land, the company has an extensive network of local real estate professionals ready to help.
Is Clayton Homes a good company?
With the variety of homes and features available, along with energy-efficient options and green building certifications, many customers agree that Clayton Homes is a good company to work with.
What credit score do you need to get a Clayton home?
The credit score needed to buy a Clayton home is based on the loan type required. Conventional loans will need higher credit scores, usually in the 680 or higher range, while FHA loans are available with lower credit scores of 580 and above.
Are Clayton Homes built well?
Yes. In addition to quality building practices and materials, each build is thoroughly inspected. Each build comes with the Clayton Built stamp of approval, which is the company’s commitment to building excellence.

Are Clayton Homes good?

Clayton Homes provides a myriad of home types and features to choose from. These homes are ideal for the homebuyer who wants some control over the homebuilding process without the hefty price tag. Additionally, the company’s commitment to green building and energy-efficiency is a benefit for homeowners looking to actively reduce their energy bills or carbon footprint.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clayton Homes?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

Clayton Homes has been around for a while. And they've made a bigger name for themselves over the last few years. Standardizing mobile homes is what they've done. So, they built them to a standard and of forced everybody else trying to build them to stick to a standard. We settled here in south Tennessee. And the market drove me to look at one a little less expensive, because everybody was looking for way above market. The manufactured homes that Clayton had may have gone up in price, but they didn't do the three-fold, what traditional housing was doing.

I looked at the specs of a normal house. They probably do the same exact thing. I'm building exactly the same thing if I would have built my own house and did the same thing. So, I might have had a different pitch on my roof. But the standards of this house is the same almost exactly, if not better. I believe they're built in a factory. They're built, sustained inside an enclosed environment. You're not leaving your wood outside, getting saturated while you build. I had manufactured before. I've messed around with a couple of different ones, even in Alaska. They vary now since HUD is involved and the standards of housing has gone up.

They’re stick-built houses is what they really are. They're just brought in in two pieces and put together. I'm very happy with this one here. Not to mention the Athens Clayton home distributor. They care about their individual reputations. And they care about what they're doing. Richard, the engineer. And Alex, the salesperson. They were so personal. They didn't stress anybody out and didn’t put anybody under pressure. They know they can sell houses. When I made that decision, they were more interested in making sure that I selected them for a reason. So they carried out that reason.

Richard was the PM for the project. He kept me informed. I don't know if anybody even understands what it's like to try to get anything done right now, in the last three years since COVID. And parts and people, getting people to the right place to do the right thing, AC guys, power guys, dirt guys, all that. It's practically impossible. But this guy was on top of it. I knew he had probably 20 other customers and running around for 20 other people, but he made me feel like I was the most important one he had. It was an overall good experience.

Most people freak out when they come to buy these things. They think they're getting ripped off, or they think something's gonna happen. Or maybe it does happen. They don't pay attention sometimes to the time that it takes. And I was fortunate because Clayton had this model. It just came in and they were using it as a show model, and I talked them out of it.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback, Jon! We appreciate you taking the time to share your detailed experience in purchasing a Clayton Home.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 31, 2022

We were looking at houses and got one that was almost identical to the one we wanted. In order to get the one we wanted, we had to wait seven months and we didn't want to wait that long. I like the house but there are a few things I don't really like about it. They put a faucet in the back of the house but they didn't put one in the front of the house. There was no electrical either. The original one we looked at had one. When we walked around the house initially, it was still in two half pieces so we couldn't really get the total thing. We wish they would put electrical and water in front of the house and the back. We have a half acre of land in front of the house that we have to run hoses all the way round from the back to the front. I told Clayton about this and they just said that was how it came from the manufacturer.

Ross was our rep and he was good. But with the contractors, a lot of them suck. According to Ross, they already fired the contractors that did a bad job. Ross moved from a salesman to a manager and he got all brand-new people coming in. But at that time, the contractors they had was very **. They left stumps off of the yard they told us they removed. The ones that did the blocks into the house, I had to go out. They left the slurry off of the front yard. When I went over to the other one looking for sticks to pick up to mow the yard, they threw all cut blocks off of the yard over there. I got rid of them. Whatever company was doing the blocks, they did the back to the house. We sent a message to Ross about the color of blocks that we wanted put on the house. They put the back up. We went three weeks with nothing being done.

I drove one day and the guy was putting all the blocks back up onto the pallet. I go, "What's going on here? Are they bad blocks or something?" He no but they were the wrong blocks. They were gonna have to tear that down. He added, "They said they're supposed to be beige." I told him that they were supposed to be that gray because the house is gray. I asked him to put the blocks back. We lost three weeks on that.

The people doing landscaping on removing the stumps told us they were gonna be there. They didn't remove everything. The reasoning was they didn't realize that there were hills and stumps. The house had to be moved back because of the hill. We wanted it dug into the hill but we were told that it wasn't possible. We're happy to be on top of the hill.

Another thing is there is a little hallway that you go through the laundry room to go out the back. They only put a switch in the very back of the house and nothing toward the front. If you're going out to go outside, on the front hallway, you have to flip the light on in order to see to make it to the other light and to light up that hallway so you can see down it all the way. I let Clayton know all those stuff.

Also, there was the thing with the light switches. With the one that does the kitchen and the little hallway by the master bedroom, you would think the second one would be for the one in the kitchen. No, they put the one by the master bedroom. The last one is for the other light for the kitchen. That doesn't make any sense. When you're coming through the front door and you hit the light switch, what lights which should be the closest to the door? Or even when you're walking out, shouldn't the porch light be the closest one to the door that you can turn it on? But when you're going out, you can flip it off. The furthest one away from the door, the three switches, is the outside one. I can go in there and I can get the electric company to change that. The next one is for the fan and the closest to the door is the main lights to turn it on.

Another thing is the trim is coming off. If you barely bump it, the trim work will come off. I got ahold of Ross and when they did one of the pieces, the manufacturer left a piece off on the house. Overall, we had no problem with the personnel at Clayton Homes. They did everything they were supposed to do. Ross and the guys are working with the manufacturer about getting somebody out to fix an issue with a siding that buckled.

There are just some of that little stuff that if tweaked would make the home a lot better than what it is. The kitchen cabinets are beautiful but when you open up the door, instead of being two levels a shelf, there's not another shelf inside the cabinets. There should have been a shelf there. Right now, I'm working on trying to get the yard done because the guy left a lot of stumps out in the yard. He also dug out the ditch and flattened it. The agreement was that they would put in one pipe. The guy found 50 different ways not to put the culvert pipes in.

Now, we have coming off the street into the house instead of going into the ditch and around the back. It runs straight down the driveway at us. His words were, "I don't think there was one there." We can't go back. They told Ross and Martin, who was the manager at the time, that there was nothing they could do and they weren't gonna come out and do anything.

The electrical people held us up too because they were supposed to come and put the box on. They said they would have us all hooked up before the electrical company comes out. The electricity ran all the lines that had the poles up. They were waiting on the electrician to put the box up on the house. We got very irritated about the process. When we started last year, we were told that the contractors will have everything done by May. May came and Ross said, "The contractor says because of the weather," which some of it was a bunch of crap because they just didn't want to do it right. "We'll have you in by the 4th of July." The 4th of July came around and it wasn't done yet. It became by Halloween and that didn't happen either. It became by Thanksgiving then Christmas. But that didn't happen.

We signed the paper in January and we couldn't move in until February because the landscapers didn't put the stairs in for us. We're waiting for them to put that in. That messes up on trying to get grass to grow because they only do so many feet away from the house. Also, the grass they put in was crap and died. It didn't even grow.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Christopher, thank you so much for reaching out and sharing this feedback with us. Clayton Homes strives to provide a world-class customer experience. We appreciate you sharing the concerns and issues you had with setup. This information will help us to better improve our communication processes. If you should have any further concerns, please reach out to your retailer.

Original review: July 18, 2022

The purchasing process was great and we love our home. It's getting the little detailed things done and getting things fixed properly in a timely manner that we're having an issue with. There's a little bench seat with little cubbies that goes up under the area where the TV goes. It took forever to get that. The service people finally brought it out here and they didn't have a trim to trim it out with. That was probably a month and a half ago that they were here doing that. They finally came back out this past Thursday with the trim and trimmed it out. Clayton was also supposed to fix the pantry door because it bowed at the top. When you shut it, you can tell it's not even and it sticks out in one corner. They said they have it closing better and that's the best that they can do.

On all four corners where the house sits on the block foundation, you can stick your hand up in there. This means that anything can get up under the house like little animals and rodents. Clayton was supposed to fix that. Someone came and all he did was walk around the house with some spray foam. He sprayed gobs of foam that's hanging out where it's exposed. It looks horrible. They only fixed the corners. If you walk around the house, you can see where the house is not sitting flush on the cement block foundation and there are still places where animals can get up under the house. We've already killed two mice in the house because they were getting in under the house.

I have pictures that I took over the weekend of where that spray foam was sprayed in one corner. Now, it's even got the corner piece of the siding bowing out because he just stuck that can up in there and sprayed away and an animal can eat through that spray foam. Clayton is not fixing the problem but putting a band-aid on it. They should just get it fixed and be done. It's to the point that my husband told me that when I send the picture to Ashley, the girl I've been dealing with at Clayton, I was to let her know that they need to contact my husband and their sub can come on my husband's schedule when he was going to be at home. My husband was done and he's to the point that if they don't get it fixed right, he's ready to go somewhere and see if there's any help that he can get.

When you call Clayton and tell them, they send somebody out. The people that they're sending just walk around scratching their heads like they're not quite sure how they need to fix something. They leave and you have to hope that they will come back within a few weeks. It's been that way the entire time. When we were trying to get in the house, they would come and work a day or two then they would disappear. My husband is the one that had to keep contacting the sub to get them to come back out and finish so that we could get moved in. It was a lot of stuff.

There's a crack in the wall that has come up and we told Clayton about that weeks ago. The rep said she would notify the guy that was coming out to complete that trim and fix the pantry door and all the places on the foundation. But the guy that came did not know anything about that and those were not on his list. He went out and he came back in. He said, "I have good news and bad news. I can fix it, but I can't fix it because I don't have any mud on my truck." But if he was driving that far, shouldn't he have everything he would need? That's the way it's been the whole entire time.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Mrs. Pullum, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We're sorry to hear of these frustrations, and we wanted to address your concerns below. The service team has been to the home. The stucco is done correctly. The vinyl hangs over the stucco and you can't see any gaps. It was advised that the customer seems to be attempting to completely seal the bottom of the home, which we do not advise doing, as it needs to breath to prevent mold. However, the customer was insistent on closing the gaps. He has closed all the vents and doesn't want to open them because of pests, but the customer does live in a wooded area. We had a contractor seal the corners and porch as a courtesy while he was there to do other repairs. The crack in the kitchen was a new crack and the first time it was heard about was when he was there that day. We did not know in advance it was there. We did inform the customer that next time we had someone available in the area we would get the sealant trimmed down (you have to let it expand to seal, then cut back) and fix the new crack that had just happened. We encourage you to reach out to your retailer regarding any further questions.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

I went to Clayton and had a very bad experience the first time and I swore I would not go back. The little man that was there met me and my friend on the front porch. That was back when it was cold a year ago. He said, “We're taking by appointments only and I got an appointment in five minutes.” I said, “Oh, that's okay. We got a couple questions we'd like to ask you and then we'll go.” And he said, “Okay.” And I said, “Can we maybe step in? Because it's kind of cold.” “Yeah, but I got an appointment in five minutes.” I said, “It’s fine. It’s fine. We’ll be gone.” So, I left. Told my friend, “A bird in hand. I won't be back.” Anyway, I went back and asked Michael, who was the young man, and he said, “He's no longer with us.” And I said, “Well, good because I can understand why.”

Then I got Candice. She was who I bought my home from. She was very good but after the sale, she was not. And instead of pacifying me when I called her, she was, “Don't call me. Call Nikki. She is in charge of that.” “Well, I don't know who's in charge of what. Why couldn’t you just pass the message along since I got you on the phone?” I even said to her, “Candice, you’ve got to have service after the sale.” Nikki was fabulous. Billy, who has nothing whatsoever to do with me, was fabulous. If I needed anything, and I asked him can he do it, he would.

I had a little issue with my heating and air conditioner unit outside. The air conditioner man got COVID and was down for some time. But when they put my trailer in here on my land, he told me, “You got air but you don't have any heat, but we'll get yours fixed.” It was October, and I complained. I called people. “I need my air. I need my heat fixed.” I finally got him out here to fix it and I said, “Did you remember to bring something to put under that air conditioner? ‘Cause you didn't do that before.” And he said, “No, I got a man but I forgot about it.” “Okay. When you think about it, do it.” At some point, he came out and did it and I never even knew he did it until a friend of mine said, “Hey, you got your pan under your air conditioner.”

Blake, the young man who if I got an issue and he would come out and fix it, has been out here a couple of times because the drawers in my kitchen have broken. And they're not as good a quality as I would like for them to be. Other than that, I'm good. I would recommend Clayton.

Clayton Homes response

Cynthia, thank you for reaching out and sharing your feedback with us. We strive to provide exceptional customer experiences, and we're sorry we could not meet your expectations at this time. We are so thankful any issues have been attended to and the team you are working with is staying in good communication with you.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

My daughter bought a Clayton home years ago and it seemed to be a pretty decent home. She recommended that maybe we would look around and see what they had and when we decided to purchase from them, I got sticker shock. I didn't dream that the mobile homes had increased the amount that they had. But once I got adjusted to the sticker price and I found that Vanderbilt was willing to finance anything within reason, we went from there. The rep we had went out of his way to talk to us and settled anything that needed to be settled. If something was not put together correctly and needed to be adjusted, he had somebody on it right away. It turned out just about everything had to be adjusted because after moving a mobile home, everything was pushed in in the wrong place. Maybe it was the illusion that reset doors and windows. But rather than wait two or three weeks, he had them the same day or the next day.

Right now, we are still doing custom things to the home. We needed more cabinet space, so bought some cabinets and got them in. One other thing was our bathrooms. We weren't satisfied with the mirrors and the light was reflected in the wrong place. But we put in new medicine cabinets in each bathroom. Then, we wanted to hang pictures and it was difficult because they always want to come loose and bolts want to come out. But we figured if the wall was untaggable, we were able to put things in the walls and the pictures would stay there long if we want them.

Aside from that, our home is not going to repair very easy. If something breaks, it's going to have to be replaced. Our floor looks like tile, but it's linoleum. It’s too easy to scratch the top surface and ours got scratched the time when they were moving stuff in and out when we moved in. And since it is linoleum, it’s one thing and you got to fix all of it. If I had to do it all over again, I would say go with a house and don't get a trailer. The lady that lives out here had seen them when they brought the mobile home on to the property. She said that they pushed it in such a manner that it looked like it was going to fall completely apart. But it lived through it and nothing was broken.

All in all, the home is about as good as you can expect in a mobile home. Plus, Clayton has done everything they could do to make things better for us and people could depend on the fact that they are going to sell them a good living space. A mobile home’s got a lot going for it, too. It's easy to clean, to keep warm, and to keep cool in the summer.

Clayton Homes response

Warren, thank you so much for sharing your buying experience with us. We love how you were able to add and customize the home to meet your needs! Many of our homes offer certain floor customizations based on needs.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

We were looking at a couple of dealers and Clayton looked like it was much better. They gave us a very good deal because we paid for a mobile home in cash and not a loan. The people were very friendly and polite. The quality of this home is not 100% like when you build a house on a property. But compared to the other mobile homes, our home is the best quality that I know. The only thing is to open the window in the kitchen area and in the master bedroom toilet because those are not open. We will probably change these in the future because we really need to have the open window because we need fresh air anyway, especially for disabled people. Also, people came about a week ago to do a repair. The back door was not closing properly. There was also a problem with the locker because it was not possible to use it. The people repaired everything and right now, it's good but it's still not perfect.

Clayton Homes response

Irina, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. We are happy to hear feedback from our customers and will be sharing with our builders. We appreciate you choosing Clayton Homes.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

Clayton has fine people. The only thing was the presentation of the house was a little lengthy and there were no chairs to sit on. The home itself is fine. The foundation they put it on is questionable because it's wooden. They should have put it on cement because it would have kept the mice out. I had a mouse problem afterward. They didn't seal it up very well, and they had a bump in the floor. They came out and fixed that. That was nice. I'm having a problem with the outdoor faucet. It's leaking when it's on. So, we have to call him for that. Other than that, they've been really good.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for sharing your homebuying experience with us, Michael! We want all of our Clayton Homes customers to have an exceptional experience. We encourage you to contact your retailer regarding any concerns you may have so that they can be addressed during your warranty period. We appreciate you choosing Clayton Homes!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

I missed some of the documents to sign, and the rep had something else to do in Jackson. He came to my house and we signed the documents. He went above and beyond than what most people do. I'd recommend Clayton Homes to somebody. Also, I've rented out the house. It's brand new, and it's under warranty too.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for sharing, John! We love to hear testimonies such as this!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

I went in and spoke with Jenny, the sales manager, and went from there. She was very organized and set up all the financial side of things for us. I was impressed that on any questions that we had, she was very knowledgeable on what we were purchasing. The home buying process was very easy and streamlined. I had a very good experience with Clayton. The home is 2,100 square feet. When we walked in, it was everything I was looking for. It has the arched doorways and large bedrooms, more of a cabin-type style home. So far, I've been very satisfied with the quality. It’s very well-built. I’ve been here about six months and I like the cabinets. They’re real wood.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your purchase process and thoughts on your new home! We're so happy you love it!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

My husband and I were looking at mobile homes for over a year at homes because we moved from Massachusetts to South Carolina. I had plenty of time to go through mobile home manufacturers. I knew the layout of our property so what would be the best way to get the layout that matches where the driveway needed to be, to where the entryway and back and forth? I spent tons of time on the Clayton website. We were at Clayton Homes out of Beaufort and the gentleman that we dealt with was absolutely stellar. His name is Lou and he wasn't high pressure. Any questions we had, he got back to us immediately. Any problems we had, we got an instant reaction and help. It was very positive customer support.

The Southern Belle is a very nice style house and I liked the layout. It has a lot of shiplap in the kitchen, a little in the living room, and a little in the master bathroom. I just got through painting all that because the home comes to you and it's all one color. I used a lighter blue in the laundry room and a very light gray throughout the living room and dining room area. I had some greens in the bedrooms and I used some dark colors on the shiplap in the master bath. It matches the countertops that we put in. That came out nicely. Our countertop has a spotted effect. There are a lot of grays and blacks in it and a little brown. This is a great home and we're loving it. There were a couple of bumps but we expected them. Clayton homes are very well-built and people are gonna be happy.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you, Ginger! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on selecting and living in your home! We're happy you love it!

Clayton Homes Company Information