4.5/5 (550 ratings)

About Clayton Homes

Clayton Homes is a manufactured home builder that offers an array of home types, from traditional site-built homes to tiny homes. With a focus on green building practices and multiple customizable features available, Clayton Homes can help you achieve homeownership within your budget.

Pros

• Customization available
  • Choice of quality home brands
  • Energy-efficient homes

Cons

• Potential land restrictions
  • Complex modular home financing

Bottom Line

Clayton Homes offers a wide array of home types and prices to choose from along with energy-efficient features and options. The company works with multiple name-brand home equipment and appliance brands.

Top Clayton Homes Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The home buying process at Clayton was very easy. I couldn't ask for anything better. Their manager Tracy was outstanding. If I had any questions, she handled it right away... Eve...

Verified

I was recommended by a family member that owned a home through Clayton Homes. The buying process was easy. There was no stress and I was never pressured into buying a home. Everyo...

What is Clayton Homes?

Clayton Homes is a homebuilding company that offers a variety of home styles, including tiny homes, modular homes, apartment complexes and more. The company has been in business for more than 60 years and has experience with the intricate and complex processes that go into building your perfect home. The company is ISO 14001- and LEED-certified for green building projects. It also offers ENERGY STAR-certified homes for environmentally conscious buyers.

How does Clayton Homes work?

After working with a Clayton Homes specialist to design your dream home, the next step is to find the right land and secure financing. If you haven’t found the right space for your Clayton Home, the company’s team of professionals work with you to find land that fits your needs and budget.

Clayton Homes are built by first selecting from a variety of trusted home equipment and appliance brands, including MOEN, Frigidaire and Georgia-Pacific. The steel foundation is then laid before the flooring and plumbing system is installed. Next, the exterior walls and roofing are constructed, followed by a thorough inspection. Additional land improvements can be made if necessary or requested.

Clayton Homes prices

The cost of a home from Clayton Homes is based on factors including the size, brands used, type of home and selected features. Most homes start in the $140,000 range. The average price of a Clayton Home built in 2019 was $312,286.

Without land, the average price for a home built off-site cost $78,817. You can expect additional costs for various features such as energy-saving appliances or materials. Homeowners looking to reduce costs can work with Clayton Homes to eliminate features or opt for more affordable home appliance and equipment brands.

Clayton Homes FAQ

Who owns Clayton Homes?
Clayton Homes is owned by Berkshire Hathaway. The company was created in 1956 by Jim Clayton.
Are Clayton Homes modular?
Clayton Homes does build modular homes. Other home types are also available for purchase, including site-built homes and tiny houses.
Do Clayton Homes come furnished?
No, homeowners are required to furnish their homes. Homes built by Clayton Homes do include kitchen, bathroom and other appliances requested by the homeowner.
How much are Clayton Homes?
The price of Clayton Homes varies based on the selections made by the buyer. Costs include the price for labor, the appliances and materials selected and other various fees.
How much of a down payment do you need for Clayton Homes?
The amount of down payment necessary for a Clayton Home depends on the financing you receive. For instance, FHA loans require a minimum of 3.5% of the sales price as a down payment.
Does Clayton Homes help find land?
Clayton Homes helps customers find land for their homes. If the consultant is unable to find land, the company has an extensive network of local real estate professionals ready to help.
Is Clayton Homes a good company?
With the variety of homes and features available, along with energy-efficient options and green building certifications, many customers agree that Clayton Homes is a good company to work with.
What credit score do you need to get a Clayton home?
The credit score needed to buy a Clayton home is based on the loan type required. Conventional loans will need higher credit scores, usually in the 680 or higher range, while FHA loans are available with lower credit scores of 580 and above.
Are Clayton Homes built well?
Yes. In addition to quality building practices and materials, each build is thoroughly inspected. Each build comes with the Clayton Built stamp of approval, which is the company’s commitment to building excellence.

Are Clayton Homes good?

Clayton Homes provides a myriad of home types and features to choose from. These homes are ideal for the homebuyer who wants some control over the homebuilding process without the hefty price tag. Additionally, the company’s commitment to green building and energy-efficiency is a benefit for homeowners looking to actively reduce their energy bills or carbon footprint.

Clayton Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clayton Homes?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

I went to Clayton and had a very bad experience the first time and I swore I would not go back. The little man that was there met me and my friend on the front porch. That was back when it was cold a year ago. He said, “We're taking by appointments only and I got an appointment in five minutes.” I said, “Oh, that's okay. We got a couple questions we'd like to ask you and then we'll go.” And he said, “Okay.” And I said, “Can we maybe step in? Because it's kind of cold.” “Yeah, but I got an appointment in five minutes.” I said, “It’s fine. It’s fine. We’ll be gone.” So, I left. Told my friend, “A bird in hand. I won't be back.” Anyway, I went back and asked Michael, who was the young man, and he said, “He's no longer with us.” And I said, “Well, good because I can understand why.”

Then I got Candice. She was who I bought my home from. She was very good but after the sale, she was not. And instead of pacifying me when I called her, she was, “Don't call me. Call Nikki. She is in charge of that.” “Well, I don't know who's in charge of what. Why couldn’t you just pass the message along since I got you on the phone?” I even said to her, “Candice, you’ve got to have service after the sale.” Nikki was fabulous. Billy, who has nothing whatsoever to do with me, was fabulous. If I needed anything, and I asked him can he do it, he would.

I had a little issue with my heating and air conditioner unit outside. The air conditioner man got COVID and was down for some time. But when they put my trailer in here on my land, he told me, “You got air but you don't have any heat, but we'll get yours fixed.” It was October, and I complained. I called people. “I need my air. I need my heat fixed.” I finally got him out here to fix it and I said, “Did you remember to bring something to put under that air conditioner? ‘Cause you didn't do that before.” And he said, “No, I got a man but I forgot about it.” “Okay. When you think about it, do it.” At some point, he came out and did it and I never even knew he did it until a friend of mine said, “Hey, you got your pan under your air conditioner.”

Blake, the young man who if I got an issue and he would come out and fix it, has been out here a couple of times because the drawers in my kitchen have broken. And they're not as good a quality as I would like for them to be. Other than that, I'm good. I would recommend Clayton.

Clayton Homes response

Cynthia, thank you for reaching out and sharing your feedback with us. We strive to provide exceptional customer experiences, and we're sorry we could not meet your expectations at this time. We are so thankful any issues have been attended to and the team you are working with is staying in good communication with you.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

My daughter bought a Clayton home years ago and it seemed to be a pretty decent home. She recommended that maybe we would look around and see what they had and when we decided to purchase from them, I got sticker shock. I didn't dream that the mobile homes had increased the amount that they had. But once I got adjusted to the sticker price and I found that Vanderbilt was willing to finance anything within reason, we went from there. The rep we had went out of his way to talk to us and settled anything that needed to be settled. If something was not put together correctly and needed to be adjusted, he had somebody on it right away. It turned out just about everything had to be adjusted because after moving a mobile home, everything was pushed in in the wrong place. Maybe it was the illusion that reset doors and windows. But rather than wait two or three weeks, he had them the same day or the next day.

Right now, we are still doing custom things to the home. We needed more cabinet space, so bought some cabinets and got them in. One other thing was our bathrooms. We weren't satisfied with the mirrors and the light was reflected in the wrong place. But we put in new medicine cabinets in each bathroom. Then, we wanted to hang pictures and it was difficult because they always want to come loose and bolts want to come out. But we figured if the wall was untaggable, we were able to put things in the walls and the pictures would stay there long if we want them.

Aside from that, our home is not going to repair very easy. If something breaks, it's going to have to be replaced. Our floor looks like tile, but it's linoleum. It’s too easy to scratch the top surface and ours got scratched the time when they were moving stuff in and out when we moved in. And since it is linoleum, it’s one thing and you got to fix all of it. If I had to do it all over again, I would say go with a house and don't get a trailer. The lady that lives out here had seen them when they brought the mobile home on to the property. She said that they pushed it in such a manner that it looked like it was going to fall completely apart. But it lived through it and nothing was broken.

All in all, the home is about as good as you can expect in a mobile home. Plus, Clayton has done everything they could do to make things better for us and people could depend on the fact that they are going to sell them a good living space. A mobile home’s got a lot going for it, too. It's easy to clean, to keep warm, and to keep cool in the summer.

Clayton Homes response

Warren, thank you so much for sharing your buying experience with us. We love how you were able to add and customize the home to meet your needs! Many of our homes offer certain floor customizations based on needs.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

We like the home a lot. We purchased it in the Phoenix area, but our house was two hours north of Phoenix. We loved the salespeople at Clayton Homes, the project managers and the people who helped out with the warranty issues. We know all of them very well because we had another Clayton home here in the Valley that we sold recently. We've had two Clayton homes at the same time, and there seems to be some kind of rivalry between the Chino Valley Clayton Homes office and the Mesa Clayton Homes office.

We purchased our first home from the Mesa Clayton Homes office. We went to our sales rep and had such a wonderful experience. We said, “We're buying some land in Chino Valley, and we would love to do another Clayton home with you.” They were very happy and really excited to get onboard with that. They suggested that we go to the Chino Valley Clayton Homes sales office and “Tell them that you're working with us in Mesa. Tell them that you just wanna see some model homes.” We went to the Chino Valley sales office to look at some models, and we told them, “Everybody from Mesa sent us here. We're working with them. They told us to come and see some models.”

The Chino Valley sales office got some of their contractors who just happened to be in there, and the sales rep, and they were trying to talk us out of working with Mesa. They wanted us to work with them directly, and they were bad mouthing the Mesa guys and saying, “You know, you don't wanna do that. And we know the area better, and they don't know what they're doing up here.” I don't know if that had anything to do with how our house looked when we first walked in, but I'm sure that the Mesa guys eventually had to say to the Chino Valley sales office, “Hey, do you have contractors in the area that we can use to put the house together?” ‘Cause I'm sure it wasn't the same people as Phoenix.

When we moved into the Chino Valley house, there was glue all over our countertop. We upgraded the countertops, and they weren't granite but Corian. We also had to use razor blades to try to scrape glue off the counters. They didn't even put fasteners on the shelving. When we went to put plates and glasses, the shelves just came crashing down. There were also a lot of things that weren't finished with caulking and grout. There were flooring issues and big scrapes in the laminate, and the flooring is scheduled to be replaced.

There were a lot of things that were vastly different from the experience that we had when we purchased our home in Phoenix. Whether it was doing the cabinetry or the countertops, it seems like that wasn't done very well. A lot of corners were cut, and a lot of things were missing, but the Clayton Mesa individuals stepped up to the plate and remedied everything. However, it would have been better if we went to the Chino office and not even told them that we were working with Mesa. If we would have just said, “Oh, we just wanna look and see some models,” it would have been a way more pleasant experience.

Clayton Homes response

Hello Yvonne, thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us. We strive to provide a world-class customer experience, and will share with the appropriate teams in order to improve customer service success.

Resolution response: Aug. 26, 2021

It's good to know that Clayton has committed to a re-training session so that this problem doesn't become chronic.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

In general, the construction is good. But there is an area that needs more attention: the caulking of the exterior windows. My 1 year warranty expired around 10 days ago! Yesterday we had a major, BLOWING rainfall, and three of my windows leaked from the head (top) of the windows, and water dripped down onto the sill. I borrowed an extension ladder and removed the top trim on the exterior side of the windows and found no caulking was used at the window head other than the caulking at the top side of the window trim. And the bead of caulking used at the window head trim was not continuous, which explains the leaks. I can replace the caulking myself. But some homeowners cannot. WHY DIDN'T CLAYTON HOMES CAULK THE WINDOWS PROPERLY WHEN THEY WERE INSTALLED IN THE FACTORY? It doesn't take much more time to do it right the first time!!!

Clayton Homes response

Michael, thank you for reaching out in regard to your leaking window in your Anniversary model home. We appreciate your patience while we review the information that you provided. We reached out to our home building facility in Waco, Texas with your concerns of the windows not being properly caulked during the build of your home. They have acknowledged these concerns, send their apologies, and are planning to implement some training classes in the facility to ensure we are building a better product going forward. We would like mention it’s always a good idea to check your home sealant every year. In your Clayton Homeowner Manual on page 21, its recommended to check around roof & wall vents, windows and door frames, and other openings in the wall & roof at least annually. Remove any materials that are cracked, dry, or peeling away. Re-caulk or reseal with flexible, non-hardening caulks and sealants. You can also find many more helpful tips on pages 21-27 that will provide you with the necessary knowledge to maintain and get the most out of your Clayton Anniversary home.

Original review: July 10, 2021

The purchasing process at Clayton was simple. Everything was explained to us as we went along, step by step, very clear what was going on from one step to another. Any kind of paperwork or anything that they needed from us was simple. They made it very simple. The whole experience with them was so easy. I’d need things sometimes explained to me in layman's terms and they did exactly what I wanted them to do. I brought in a notebook with me every time I spoke to them. I wrote down everything. If I didn't understand it, they had no problem explaining it simpler to me. They were just really good people to work with.

When I met the rep, Morgan, she was very kind. I said to her, “Just go step by step with me because I'll get overwhelmed.” I'm a police dispatcher, and my days are just crazy. She told me exactly step by step what I needed to do. I told her, “Okay, what's the step after that?” That was the only time she gave it to me in advance, was when I said to her, “Okay, I got that.” She also hooked me up with everybody that I needed to be hooked up with like the bank. She went way over and beyond. She was just a great person to work with.

We bought land in July. Right before we bought the land, we went into Clayton and said, “How does this process work if we wanted to buy our own land and have a home put on it?” We told her what we were looking at. She told me I just have to go from there and to get a closing done on that, to get the property, get the closing done, and then get all the paperwork over to them. She just took it from there.

She went a little further. There was a well that was supposed to be on the property that we bought, but we never found it. And we didn't want a well. We wanted to get public water and there weren't any lines. It was never lived on. It was just completely open land. Nobody wanted to take responsibility for it, whether it be the city or the county. She went way over and beyond. She got in touch with the county, and said, “These people just bought this and they're gonna live on it. You're messing with our livelihood. Somebody has to take responsibility for this piece of land and put the pipes down.” They did it with no charge. They ate about $5,000. There was no charge because it was just such a process. They didn't understand who was gonna take it and who was gonna be responsible for it. She went to bat for us.

She gave us choices and options of what we wanted. When we went to look, she gave us an open court of what we wanted. She let us go through each one of them and didn't pressure us into anything. Just told us to take our time and think about what we wanted. If we had picked something that was out of our upbringing, she gave us options for something different. We told her what we had wanted and she stayed in that area.

They had a floor plan, and that was the most fun part out of it. Going in and picking out all the colors. It was great. It turned out exactly the way that I wanted it. When we were doing that, she said to me, “If there's something in here that clashes, we have professional people, and we'll just let you know that might not go together.“ But that never happened. Everything was just the way we wanted it to be.

It started in July and we were all moved in by the end of December. That was all it took and that was during COVID time. So, that was during the time that we didn't know if we were going to get our cabinets. We didn’t know if we were gonna get our appliances. Anything that came from Mexico, we didn't know if we were gonna get it on time. We didn't know how long it was gonna take and she kept on it. She made it work. We were in there a week before Christmas. She’s a top-notch woman. We couldn't thank her enough.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Emily, thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! We are so glad we were able to offer you a peace of mind throughout your purchase process. We appreciate you so much and are so glad that you chose Clayton Homes!

Original review: May 14, 2022

I've worked with Clayton Homes in the past, so it was an easy second transaction. I know the local people here in Morganton very well. They're fantastic. Michael, Carl, Francisco and Greg were great to work with. They were always right there when I needed something. Whenever I needed something or had a question or concern, they took care of it immediately. If not, they kept in touch with me.

I bought the repo the first time and this time, I bought a new one. It was a little bit of a lengthy process because of some of the delays with materials but that’s happening with everything. That wasn't Clayton's fault. The first one back 12 years ago was probably four years old when I got it but there was no major damage. It was just my daughter and I wanted to make it just a two-bedroom instead of two little bedrooms. They were kind enough to take a wall out, finish it up and make it one big room for her on that side of the house, which was really cool. However, the quality of that home from 12 ears ago is better than the quality of the one I just bought. I’m finding some of the things are very cheaply made.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Penny, thank you so much for reaching out and sharing your experience with us. We take customer feedback very seriously, and we will be sharing your feedback with our building teams.

Original review: May 12, 2022

I had a really good experience with them. The customer service people were friendly and knowledgeable. They knew exactly what I needed to do to get ready. They suggested some contractors and it worked out really well. We were supposed to get the house in May but we didn't get in till October because of the COVID. Other than the COVID stuff, the process was good. I highly recommend them.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for recommending Clayton Homes, Danny! We appreciate you!

Original review: May 11, 2022

Our home is going good so far. We've had a few things that they fixed every time that we needed them to.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us, Jeffrey! We really appreciate it!

Original review: May 10, 2022

It was great with Clayton Homes. The rep helped me a lot and the process was fast. It was a lot easier than what I thought it would be. The quality could have been a whole lot better though. I feel the house was thrown together very quickly. Some of the trim were popping off the walls. In my master bedroom, some of the wood don't match correctly. The cabinet doors are flimsy too. When you buy a home like that and you pay that price for it, I expected a little bit more for it.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Laura, we want to thank you for your feedback, we value our customer's input and experiences. Please know that you can reach out to your retail location with any concerns during your one-year manufacturer's warranty period.

Original review: May 9, 2022

I would send others to Clayton Homes. Everybody was nice. The maintenance guys respond immediately when they find out we have any kind of problems. Everything's been repaired except the screen door and the window. My office could have been a little bit wider though. Also, the closet in the bathroom is like a triangle and you can hardly get in and out of it.

Clayton Homes response

We truly appreciate your feedback, Rosa!

Clayton Homes Company Information