toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Clayton Homes

Katelyn, thank you so much for taking the time to share your home buying experience with us! We are so glad to hear that everything went well and that you are so satisfied. Please never hesitate to reach out should you need anything in the future!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Bill was the home consultant from Clayton Homes that helped us. He was very great from the very beginning. We went there one time to look around then we went to another mobile home dealer in the city but we decided to go back to Bill to ask some of our questions and he was so helpful and knowledgeable. He would answer everything that I had a question about. If he doesn’t know, he would get the answer to it. Then I also had some issues with the little things underneath the sink because they were busted so it was making the sewer smell go throughout our house.

As soon as we called him, he had someone call me almost immediately trying to come out to fix and look at it. Then they came out, fixed it and I never had any problem since. Even after that, he had given us his phone number and he was always available. I work full time and I have three kids so I don’t have time to always make phone calls but he would text me back about questions that I had. It was more than I could ever have asked for, ever. I really appreciate everything they did. There was another guy that worked there and he wasn’t very nice. But Bill was super great, and it was a hundred percent home buying process satisfaction.

Clayton Homes

Kellie, Thank you for taking the time to share your Clayton Homes experience with others. We’re happy that you’re enjoying your new home and that you had such a positive home buying experience!

Original review: July 13, 2017

We worked with a Scott here in Quicksburg and he has been wonderful. We debated on a few different homes and his help and experience helped us make the best decision possible and we’re very happy with our home. Anytime we’ve ever had a problem, he came out and did a walk through with us and sent somebody in very quickly and got things fixed for us. He had to order us a few new parts that were damaged in transport. Anytime I ever needed anything, I call him and he always gets right back to me. It was a fantastic experience overall and we just recommended my boss to come down and talk to Scott about getting a home.

Clayton Homes

Michael, Thank you for taking the time to share your home buying

experience with others. We’re happy that you’re enjoying your new home and saving on energy costs!

Original review: July 10, 2017

I'm very satisfied with our salesman and our home buying process at Clayton Homes. We got a brand new set of appliances that came with the house and our energy usage is astounding. We moved from a smaller house to a bigger one but our power bill has gone down. The appliances we are using are probably using the same amount of energy but the insulation of our heat pump is more efficient. We've been extremely happy with that. We also had a well dug, a septic system put in and I've added porches to the house aside from the standard 4x4's that you have to get in the same pass codes. So, we've extended those with a fence in a backyard. I grew up in the area and so we love the community. We would buy from them again if we ever needed another house. They were phenomenal.

Clayton Homes

Carol, all feedback is important to us so we thank you for taking the time to share your story. We sincerely apologize for the experience you've had thus far. A member of our Customer Advocacy Team will be contacting you soon to discuss your situation in more detail.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Absolute worst experience ever in purchasing a home. We went to Clayton Homes of Corinth MS and had salesman Blain **. We told him we were looking for something quick because we were in transition and living in a camper. We first talked to him the second week in January. We owned our own land and he said getting something from the lot would be the fastest. So we picked out the smallest double-wide they had on the lot. I knew getting approved would not be a problem, because we had excellent credit scores. Blain kept pushing Vanderbilt but Cascade had the best interest rates, so this was our first delay. Needless to say, I found out later why he was pushing Vanderbilt... They OWN Clayton Homes.

I paid a deposit on the double-wide in January to make sure it was not sold. We agreed on pricing and what all had to be done and was included. We finally signed the paperwork the middle of March. During the closing, the numbers did not match and discovered we had to pay for lots of extra stuff out of our pocket. Blain said... "I had to make the numbers match..." We were discovering that Blain was a "Used Car Salesman"... He lies, manipulates, and bullies. After weeks, they finally came and fixed the pad for our home (after my husband did most of it trying to move things along). Keep in mind our home is sitting on the LOT... It did not have to be ordered and nothing had to be done to it.

It was not until the last week of April that it was delivered to our land. Then it was the end of May for the brick layers came to finished the foundation. All of this came after numerous phone calls and hearing lots of excuses. Finally, we thought we could start moving in... We had no hot water, all the doors would not shut, the ac unit was not leveled, cracks in the ceiling, toilet seats were broken, floors made noises, outside doors would not shut, cabinet doors were falling off, window siding was busted, carpet stained, no dryer vent, and on and on and on. CHEAP, products.

Blain kept promising all this would be fixed. Blain kept trying to get us to go ahead and sign paperwork and assured us that our home was under a year warranty. But we knew with all the promises and lies that if we signed, NOTHING would ever get fixed. I even tried to contact the corporate office... They never returned my emails or phone calls. We then waited over 4 weeks for a water sample to be pulled. Then he kept saying we had to sign final paperwork because our home was on our land. I told him NO because I was not satisfied with our home. I had to get Cascade involved and they are a buddy system. Blain would tell her what she wanted to hear and say that we were not doing what we were supposed to do.

We finally asked for legal advice. We were ready for them to come and get their cheap trailer and find something else. After mentioning a lawyer, they finally showed up to fix everything on my list. We signed after that the beginning of August. Yes, this quick process took 8 months. We endured excuses after excuses... Lies after lies. We could have built a custom home on our land in less time than it took to move a trailer from their lot to our land. This was the worst mistake we have ever made. We DO NOT recommend Clayton Homes.

Clayton Homes

Vickie, we are so glad to hear you were so well taken care of during your home buying process! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story with us. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you ever need anything in the future!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I'm a middle-aged single lady and Clayton Homes handled everything. The approval went through and the home consultant was great. We bought the one that was already on the floor. I've been in the house for nine months now and it's been good. It was easy, efficient and they made it possible for me to buy a home that was affordable and completely satisfactory. I put it on my own property and had the spot graded. It was a piece of a hillside and they graded it down and leveled it up for the mobile home. That seems to be fine so far and my energy bill is very good. It's a lot lower than the home I was renting which was a fairly new house.

Also, the appliances have been slightly upgraded but they're really good. We had one issue with a leaky spot on the roof and as soon as we called it in, they came and fixed it the next morning. I feel like I got a really good home for the value. The guys at Clayton did a really good job and I've recommended them to a couple people. It was a very good experience and I was completely satisfied.

Clayton Homes

We are so pleased to hear how happy you are with your home buying experience, Don! We take pride in both our home buying and our home building processes, so we are glad you are so satisfied. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

We went with Clayton Homes because we couldn't afford to rebuild and we really liked the way they constructed the homes after we looked at them. Our consultant was a great guy and he went out of his way to help us. The buying process was excellent, we're pleased with the product and happy to have it. It took us a while to decide when to move into our new home but once we did, it was not long because the house was built up in Waco, which was not far from us. It was a real enjoyable experience and we appreciated Clayton's help.

Clayton Homes

Eric, thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive experience. We are pleased to hear that you are happy with your and with the home buying process. Please do not hesitate to reach out in the future should you need anything!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I ordered a trailer from the factory 'cause I wanted a certain color. I like the appliances, but I wish they were a different color. I can't stand black furniture or appliances, but that's the only choice we had. We've lived here a little after thanksgiving of last year. The Clayton home consultant was really good and helped us a lot. He even called us for a couple of months after we bought the trailer to make sure everything's doing well. He recommended us to get the energy-efficient one and I'm glad we did. I was keeping an air conditioner at 66 degrees to stay cool in the house we were renting, but here, I have to turn this thing up to about 71, 72 degrees sometimes 'cause I'm too cold. All in all, everything they said was going to happen happened and if anything needed to be fixed, they fixed it. Clayton Homes is a wonderful place to go and I enjoyed the experience.

Heather,

We sincerely apologize about your home buying experience with Clayton Homes! We appreciate your feedback and would like to talk to you about your experience. Someone from our Customer Advocacy Team will be contacting you within 48 hours to discuss your experience.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I have been contacting you with issues since we moved into our home. When we done the "final walk through" as the installers called it. We had a notebook full of issues. I have gotten the run around from everyone I have been in contact with. First it was, "We will send someone out." Now they all want me to contact someone different or fax this email that. Last time you pulled that warranty has expired business. I'm sorry but don't try to pull that crap, when you were contacted within 6 days of setup. It's complete garbage how you treat your customers. We paid straight cash for our home in 2013.

Sad part is 3 other people warned us you would never show up to fix anything because they had been waiting for 10 years. I've got busted doors, messed up cabinets and counters, broke crown molding, floor issues, roof issues and tub issues to name a few. Also have busted vinyl siding, broke screen doors and frame all done the day you setup. Yet you can't send one person to do something. Class action lawsuit is sounding better and better. Looks like you've got plenty here to get it off the ground.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clayton Homes?

Clayton Homes

Charles, we are so glad to hear how pleased you are with both your home and your buying experience! Thank you for taking the time to share your story. Enjoy that concert in Napa!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

We bought a lot model from Clayton Homes. We took it exactly the way it was and like it so much. My wife made me buy all the furniture that it was staged with. The home buying process itself was pretty good. The salesperson was great as well. She just called the other day and gave free tickets for a wine tasting and a concert in Napa. Her knowledge and how friendly she was stood out about her. And even after we bought our house, she called once a week for about two months just checking in on everything. When we had a problem with the bathroom, she got a hold of the manufacturer and got it covered for us.

We also got all the appliances and those were very efficient. The refrigerator is a little loud though and makes a bit of noise but everything else works really good. We're actually getting ready to buy another one. The place we have is 40 acres of two 20 acre partials, so we're just going to put it in our next door. We're waiting for them to get the new triple white model in and then we're going to check it out. It was great. They made it easy and it was a good experience.

Clayton Homes

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story with us, Delmer! We are so pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable home buying experience. Please don't hesitate to reach out should you need anything in the future!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

Jim was our Clayton Homes home consultant. He walked us through every process and told us anything we needed to set with. He listened to everything and done the job well all around. We told him that we needed a gas when we first started looking, and he ordered it to come. We had a friendly atmosphere and it was an excellent experience. If I could recommend anybody to go to them, I would.

Clayton Homes

We are so pleased to hear how satisfied you are with your home buying experience, Aaron! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience! A member of our Customer Advocacy Team will touch base with you privately to follow up on you getting your few repairs completed and cabinets built.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

It took five different house plans and I created my own home. There are still a few things that Clayton Homes has to fix, like cabinet doors that broke off, but we're waiting on the factory to build them. All in all, it was time consuming and the plan had to go to engineers and then to the state, but I'm very, very satisfied with Clayton Homes and the service guys were unbelievable. When I had an issue and I called them, they put me in the books quickly. I'm very happy and pleased with them. One of the guys I worked with, a friend, went and bought one.

Clayton Homes

We would appreciate the opportunity to address your situation, Terri. Thank you for providing your feedback. We'll reach out privately to begin looking into the issues with your home buying experience.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I haven't even got past the conditional approval, and I have been lied to several times. Land home package Salesman "we have land home package, you want an acre and 30,000 right?" Me, “Yes, looking for an acre or more and 30,000 is my limit.” So we do the paperwork. It says home 66,8. 8000. Discount, total on home 58,5 then land 30,000. Cool right. No we leave after the 500. downpayment. Week later I go check, I am told, “Oh you look for your own land, pay an earnest fee then we take over from there.”

Okay 1 lie. We find land a week later an acre 25,000. We go in. Salesman "Oh no that is 15,000 more than it should be.” Me who we said and paperwork says 30,000 for land. Lie #2 “No no that is a total 10,00 for land 15,000 for well, septic (did you see that?). So that is not what we talked about.” Salesman, "Yeah that is land and improvements but I can send it back for a second look? It will be fine.” “Go ahead put 1000 on land we can get it approved?” I am so pissed by now. I do not understand? Can anyone explain this to me?

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We sincerely apologize for your recent purchase experience and would like to see how we can assist you. Someone from our Customer Advocacy Team will be following up with you shortly.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

From the start I paid cash for my home. If it wasn't one thing it was another starting from the hot water heater wasn't hooked up right so it flooded my back room and they refuse to replace the floor in which it flooded and would only replace 1 wall. Then my inside and outside roof sinks in throughout the whole mobile home. They said it was normal and they were not going to fix it. Now my air conditioner has been leaking for about a month now and no one will return my calls to come and fix it. I went by the place where I bought my home and no one was around. If these things are not fixed I am going to contact an attorney and file a class action lawsuit against Clayton Mobile Homes based on all these other complaints on this site also.

Clayton Homes

That is so great to hear, Amanda! We aim to provide a wonderful home buying experience, and it sounds like you had just that! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story with us and for choosing Clayton!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Clayton Homes has been very friendly, accommodating and was a big help with the issues I’ve had with the home buying process. Our consultant was very good. We had almost like a family experience. We went with the standard appliances which are actually energy efficient and so our bill’s very affordable. Since we’ve purchased the home and got them all set up, they still help us when we need something. If something breaks or wasn’t fixed right, they come out and they get it done. Overall, it was a wonderful experience.

I was going through a divorce so I had to buy a place to live. I like the fact that Clayton didn't have a salesman follow me because I did not want that. I wanted to figure that on my own, then they just told me that the unit I picked out was the Arch way and they went and ordered it. It turns out they did not need to order it and that I’d take the one on the rack. Even though the mortgage hasn't started, the financing and paying went quick and they finally got my home moved. The only thing that it took a while was getting everything again so they could turn the firewall. So far, I'm very satisfied with my home. Now I got a place to live and I'm just waiting on this divorce to go through.

Clayton Homes

James, we are so excited to hear how happy you are with the home buying experience you had with us. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback. Please don't hesitate to reach out should you ever need anything in the future!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

The home buying process through Clayton Homes was good and the people that I dealt with were nice and really helpful with everything. I had a couple of wishes I wasn't sure about and they took care of them right away. They also responded to any questions or problems that I have. Our Clayton home is a standard model and it's a summer home for us. I bought the lot that it is on and I love the location. The appliances are not top shelf but they're satisfactory for what we need. The air conditioning works fine with the humidity we have and it was keeping the place cool. I just received the bill the other day. And for half of the month that we're there, it was a $100. It was good. Over the winter, the energy bill was going well and I wish the home where I live is that cheap to heat.

Clayton Homes

Michael, we are so happy to hear how pleased you are with your home and the home buying experience! Thank you for taking the time to share your story. Enjoy your new house at the beach!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

We went down to Clayton Homes in Morehead, North Carolina. We talked to George, the guy who's in charge of the office down there, and explained what we wanted. We ended up ordering the home. George came in and everything was done the way it should have been done. Also, the main thing was that they followed through on what they told us they were going to do. The information we got was correct. The process took us about a couple months. We also had the home customized, so it had to be fixed at the plant. I have no complaints at all and I'm very happy. They got me a nice place at the beach. I had a great experience and I would recommend Clayton Homes if somebody was in the market.

Clayton Homes

Irene, thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive feedback! We are thrilled to hear that you are so pleased with your home buying experience. Please don't hesitate to reach out should you need anything in the future!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I liked the way the Clayton reps talked and they were very helpful in getting me what I wanted. They helped me a lot and really good about communicating with me throughout the home buying process. The gentleman that waited on me was very kindly and helpful.

Clayton Homes

That is so wonderful to hear, Francis! We are so glad you enjoyed the home buying process and that you are enjoying your beautiful new home! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story with us! We take pride in knowing you would refer your friends to us.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

Everyone that I talked to at Clayton Homes was very nice. They let us know everything that was going on step by step. The home consultant was very knowledgeable and she could explain everything I asked her. I enjoyed working with Clayton Homes. They were fabulous and they didn’t take too much time. My home is beautiful and I’m enjoying it. I will tell friends to go ahead and just talk to them and they'll tell you everything that you need to know.

Pauline,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story with us AND for recommending us to other buyers! We sincerely appreciate you and are so happy to hear how pleased you are with your home and home buying experience! We take pride in having knowledgeable salespeople who make the home buying process easy and it sounds like Matt was just that!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

We were very satisfied with the home buying process through Clayton Homes. Their rep, Matt, explained the whole process and worked with us. He was incredibly helpful and stayed with us through everything. So, we were very happy. Our Clayton home is exactly where it is supposed to be. Our energy bill has been low since we've been there. The highest one we've had was this month but the heat has been outrageous. Also, the appliances that came through Clayton are definitely better than what we had in our old house. Overall, it was a good experience. We accomplished everything that needed to be accomplished. And we recommended Clayton Homes to three other buyers who have bought a home through them.

Clayton Homes

Brandy, we are so pleased to hear how happy you are with your new home! We aim to provide a personal home buying experience tailored to each of our customers' individual needs. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your wonderful story! Thank you for choosing Clayton, and please don't hesitate to reach out in the future should you need anything!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I love Clayton Homes. The home consultant was awesome, she was a 100% knowledgeable and she told us everything we needed to know. I would refer her to anybody. I like that they walked around and showed us things. They gave us options with different prices. I thought I was only going to be able to get something smaller like a three bedroom single wide. They helped me get something bigger, a four bedroom double-wide, and I also have insulation in my house. I was living in a run down 1982 trailer and this is the finest I've ever lived. Between them and God, I'm living in a mansion. My experience was friendly, very nice, and it was like dealing with family.

Clayton Homes

Jason, we are so happy to hear that you are so satisfied with your home and home buying experience. It's also great news that your utility bill has exceeded your expectations thus far! Thank you for taking the time to share your positive story with us!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

We’re very satisfied with Clayton Homes and the process was very smooth. They stayed in contact with us through the whole thing and answered any questions we had. Malcolm was our sales guy and he was very helpful. We've been pretty happy with the overall quality of our home. There’s been some small things but nothing major. The dishwasher started making a funny noise the last couple of times we ran it, and I brought that to their attention just this weekend. Other than that, we're happy with everything. I had my reasonable doubt that the electric bill would be as good as they were saying but so far, our last utility bill was $160 which was pretty good, considering how large the house is and how hot it's been. Clayton Homes was very easy to deal with and the experience was a lot more pleasant than what I expected.

Clayton Homes

Claudia, we are so happy to read the story of your home buying experience! Thank you for choosing us to provide a home that meets all of yours and your brother's needs. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us!

Original review: July 31, 2017

We had been looking for a house and we found three homes that we absolutely loved with the salesperson in the mortgage company that we were working with. It turned out that those were manufactured homes so the mortgage company wouldn't finance it. After the third one that we found like that, we decided to get a manufactured home. We headed out to Clayton Homes and took a look at what they have. The process of buying our home was great once we finally found Tammy out there. She seemed to understand what we were looking for. My brother and I went in together to buy it. He’s disabled and even though he doesn't file taxes, he'll need to have this from social security and Tammy helped us get through all of that stuff. We love her.

We reached out when we thought about looking for two master bedrooms. If I'm paying half the bills, I can also have a master bedroom. They asked us to look at this one and as soon as we went into this thing, we fell in love with it. They made some modifications for us to make the other room seem more like another master bedroom. They took the door off of the actual bedroom and off of the actual den and moved it to the hallway so that when we open that one door, it's like a master bedroom. Now it's almost like our house has two master bedrooms on each end. I call the master bedroom on one end a "kickout room". Then on the other end, there's a den with the wood burning fireplace and a bedroom across from it. There's also a small front deck and then we got a 10 by 12 back deck with its back up into open trees and fields. It's really cool.

Whatever little bitty things that we came up with, they set about right off the system, so we know there were no problems at all. There's a bathroom for my brother which I thought was the main bathroom and they were able to make that different because he's legally blind and he's always terrified of stepping in and out of the bathtub. We asked them if they could make it like a walk in shower in the master bathroom and they said it's not a problem. So they went on ahead and did it. We kept telling people about the Clayton Homes and about it's either hell out there and they're missing out. It is a dream home for us. I'm 65 this year and my brother's 64. He kept on saying that he never thought he would be able to have a place like this. It is perfect.

Clayton Homes

Dona, thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive feedback! We are pleased to hear you are so satisfied with your home buying experience! Please don't hesitate to reach out if you ever need anything in the future!

Original review: July 30, 2017

Our experience with Clayton Homes has always been fine. We went through Oakwood Homes and the people there were very nice. They helped us with everything. I just got what was available and I didn't get to do anything extra. My daughter helped me get this place and she really did a lot for me. Also, it was really easy talking to the people at the finance company. I was satisfied that it turned out good and I would recommend them.

Clayton Homes

We are thrilled to hear how pleased you are with your home, Dewayne! We aim to provide an informative and as effortless as possible home buying process. Being a first time home buyer, we are especially glad that's what you experienced! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback and for recommending us to your family!

Original review: July 30, 2017

I dealt with Cindy and the Jeff down at the Oakwood Homes through Clayton Homes and they were wonderful and awesome. They were honest with everything and made the whole process easy. When I went in and picked the colors, they explained everything with my first time buying a home and made this thing very comfortable. I also had a price range that I wanted and they stopped there. That's what I was impressed about the most.

I got energy efficient appliances, my bill is 130 bucks a month, and I can't complain about that at all since I got two kids who are always watching TV in every room plus the AC runs all day. I also plan to add other features on my home sometime in the near future. I was totally pleased with Clayton Homes and I'd recommend them to anyone. My aunt and uncle lost their home to a fire back here about a month and a half ago and I recommended them to Clayton Homes. They are getting ready to get things started with them and get another home.

Clayton Homes

April, we are so pleased to hear how happy you are with your new home! Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback. We will definitely pass along your thoughts on the bathroom storage to the Home Building Facility! A member of our Customer Advocacy Team will be reaching out to you privately for more information on your dishwasher!

Original review: July 29, 2017

Clayton Homes' consultant did a good job with keeping me updated on everything that was going on. She made sure that I knew what was happening and why it was happening that way if it was taking longer than usual. She also made sure I was satisfied with everything. We moved into our Clayton home the first of November so we haven't been there a year yet. I like it but the only thing is even though it has a lot of room, there's not much storage in the bathroom and there's no cabinet space for you to be able to put towels and that type of stuff. However, it has a lot of cabinet space in the kitchen and in the little dining section which is great. But, that's a little bit excessive compared to where I needed it.

The dishwasher doesn't work very well. My dishes were getting cleaned for the first few times. But after about two months of using it, I hand wash the dishes before I put them in the dishwasher to run them because when rinsing the dishes off they were still not that clean. I made sure that I'm using the products recommended in the booklet but it doesn't make any difference. It's disappointing for me because in the apartment that I live in the dishwasher was old but it works. I didn't even have to rinse anything off and everything was clean. Other than that, the stove and the fridge are fine. Also, the power bill has been great. When summer came and my son was home all day, I felt like my electric bill was going to really go up but it hasn't gone up that much. That's awesome. I had a good experience and I have recommended them a couple of times already.

Clayton Homes

Anthony, we are so pleased to hear that you are so happy with the salesperson who worked with you through your home buying experience. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback! A member of our Customer Advocacy Team will be in touch privately to follow up on the repairs you are still needing done.

Original review: July 29, 2017

My wife and I were very pleased with our home buying experience with Clayton Homes. As far as I'm concerned DNI Homes set my house then Clayton Homes bought them out right in the middle of our buying process. We chose them because their saleswoman was very attentive from the minute we walked in that place. However, we ended up buying the model home due to a problem with the builder that was going to build our house. We started looking for a house in January, bought it mid-June and they had set and delivered it in November. I am recommending them but only on the basis of the sales person that we dealt with since I didn't really know anybody else there.

Now I do have some issues that happened during the process and we're going to see what happens in early August or mid-August to take care of some of the problems. I do not have a lot of big issues but there are about 15 to 20 things on a punch list that needed to be done. I talked to a Terry last week and she was giving me the name of the service department who's supposed to be here sometime mid to late August to do a few things they said that would need to be done.

I have a one window upstairs that has broken steel. I had a step back thermostat that was filtered out that I had to replace with a regular thermostat. I got my CFI's on the outside of the house. There are some lumps and bumps under the linoleum in the kitchen. There’s a piece of what feels like plywood under the carpet. And there's a decent part of the parting law when we separated the house. The guys who did it did a wonderful job except for one that I got to get redone. Sometimes it looks like it was done by a chain saw but I'm sure they'll take care of it. Other than that, I'm very pleased. I used to be a home builder myself so I know what it takes to make everybody happy.

Clayton Homes

We are so delighted to hear of how well your home buying experience was, Dennis! Thank you for taking the time to let us know what a great job our team at Oakwood in Millsboro is doing. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything in the future!

Original review: July 28, 2017

We went to Oakwood down in Millsboro. From day one when we walked in the door, we met Shelly down there. She was very informative and was right on the ball. She was very good along the way, explained a lot to us, and even told us to look around. And she said, "You'll probably come back" in which we did. We looked at about five other places and we actually came back to her. We bought our home through Clayton Homes. She turned us on some very up to the minute end financing people. We got our mortgage through them. Then our warranty is not even up yet and we bought an extended one that's got a five year warranty on it.

But we had a few minor things. We had a leaky faucet. We had our floors fixed, a bathtub and a master bathroom that wasn't getting hot in it that was because of the mixture of the bed. And they came right out and took care of it. A storeroom door wasn't closed correctly and the next day, Don was here and took care of it. Then the house was done in November and it was our wet season here in Maryland and the yard was mud then I informed them of it. They said they would take care of it and the grounds guy would be back when the weather was good. And they came back, leveled it and seeded it, and it looks great right now so we're very happy with it. We've already sent them another two customers. They’re very great and they've done a good job.

Clayton Homes

Carla, we are glad to hear that you are happy with your home and that you feel comfortable recommending us to friends. We appreciate your feedback regarding the buying process and will definitely make sure the appropriate parties are able to hear it. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us should you need anything in the future.

Original review: July 28, 2017

Overall, the home buying process with Clayton Homes was medium-easy. We had to go through a couple of different submissions because they were submitting our home plan out to Vanderbilt for approval. The process would be simplified a lot more if they would run an application to determine exactly how much I could get qualified for, then let me choose something after that has been determined. I gave them a price range but it was based on what I knew I could pay per month. They chose a home but my credit rating wasn’t that great which didn't help the process either. They ran it and in the first home that I had looked at, that I wanted to run with, it would’ve put the payment higher than what I wanted to be able to afford. I would’ve preferred to know that I needed to pay this amount of dollars tops. That would be my budget and within that budget, I'd go ahead and choose which home that I wanted to look at and would go for.

For the most part, their reps have been very responsive to any type of issue that I brought up. I had to have them come out a couple of times to fix these little imperfections because it’s a manufactured home where they have some things happen that they had to come out and fix. I love the house that I got but there are a couple of things about it that I really wish I could’ve done a little bit different. For example, For an example, I’ve got linoleum throughout the house except for in the bedroom and it’s a three-bedroom home. So bedrooms had the carpet and I really didn’t want carpet. It was a special deal that was going on because of the plan that I could qualify for. But I've recommended Clayton Homes to a friend.

Clayton Homes

Costella, thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback! We are so pleased to hear how happy you are with both your home and your home buying experience. We sincerely appreciate that you have recommended us to your friends, as well!

Original review: July 27, 2017

I've worked with Clayton Homes a couple of months ago and everything came out just right. The home consultant was great. The appliances were beautiful and the electric bill stays at a certain amount every month. It stays right at around $150 and that's great. I have the standard model and it’s located on the land I inherited from my mother so I’m okay with it. A couple of my friends asked about getting a home and I let them know that Clayton Homes was really good. They were spot on and made sure I got something that I would be pleased with. If anything comes up, they see to it right away. They were really excellent.

Clayton Homes

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Kris. We apologize for your recent home buying experience and would like to assist you. Someone from our team will be following up shortly to discuss your experience in detail.

Original review: July 26, 2017

We purchased our modular home from Clayton Homes in Rosenberg, TX. In December 2012 it was delivered and set up in March of 2017. Right away we had problems with the back door shutting, they finally send someone out several times to try to fix it. By summer we were having problems with the A/C. After we had the home about a 1 1/2 (of course the 1 year warranty was up) did we discover the sub flooring in the laundry room by the back door was rotten. The door had been leaking every time it rained under the threshold (which was wooden) under the flooring, we had no signs of damage until I noticed a huge soft spot in the floor.

We have had AC problems every year, we have had 5 different companies out and now I am being told the unit is a piece of crap and I need a new unit which will cost $3k to $5k. (The house is only 4 years old). All the molding around the door frames is coming off, along with all the door hinges starting to break. This so called modular home (which they kept telling me was built to higher standards than onsite homes, is falling apart). The list goes on and on, this is just the tip of the iceberg. When I filed a complaint with Clayton Homes, the response was "Sorry your year warranty is up and you can file a complaint with the Department of Housing if you like." My advise, stay away from Clayton Homes.

Clayton Homes

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Diana. We apologize for your recent purchase experience and would like to assist you. Someone from our customer advocacy team will be following up shortly.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Took Clayton 7 months to fix problems in my home and they didn't even fix them. The people who built the home did. And found other things wrong with the house. And now they are calling me a liar saying nothing is wrong with the home. Think it's time for me to get a lawyer.

Clayton Homes

We are so glad to hear how happy you are with your home buying experience, Gary! We aim to provide a home buying experience that is as efficient and easy as possible. Thank you for taking the time to share your story! We take pride in knowing you would recommend us to your family.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Clayton Homes took the proper steps and kept us informed on everything including what was going to be done each day and who was coming to do what they had to do. The home consultant was also very good as far as being detailed with what we want to change and add plus all that good stuff. He was very helpful and very knowledgeable. We had a good experience and everything went well so we’re very satisfied. I also have some family members looking for a home so we're trying to lean them towards the way to deal with Clayton Homes.

Expert Review

Joseph TruiniHome Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.    More about Joseph→

Clayton Homes was founded in 1956 and specializes in affordable, quality-built modular and manufactured homes. It offers floor plans for a wide variety of home sizes and styles.​

• Different building methods: Clayton builds traditional site-built homes, modular homes, manufactured homes and tiny houses.
  • Offers trade-ins: Customers can trade in their current home for a new manufactured home in order to save on costs.
  • Homes with basements are available: Clayton Homes can be ordered with a full basement.
  • Model homes available in most locations: Users can visit a Clayton Home Center to see model homes or set up a tour.
  • Environmentally friendly: Clayton has received an ISO (International Organization for Standardization) certification for green building standards.
  • Customizable options: Homebuyers with specific needs can get a custom-built home.
  • Best for Clayton Homes is best for people on a budget, buyers with time constraints and people with special needs.

Clayton Homes Company Profile