4.65/5
  • 1 star
Based on 315 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1956, Clayton Homes has been helping families build happiness through homeownership. We are committed to providing affordable, quality homes with a diverse range of builder offerings. Our homes include traditional, modular, tiny and manufactured homes, as well as apartments, military barracks and college dormitories. We are recognized as an innovator in our industry and pride ourselves on our integrity and reputation. Contact Clayton Homes today to own your own slice of the world to call home.

Clayton Homes Gallery (4)
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 14, 2017

490 Clayton Homes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Six months ago, we purchased a home from Clayton Homes. They are local here in town. The home buying process was easy and fast. We got all the paperwork done in a month. Their reps were very friendly, prompt and helpful. Our experience was great and we’re very satisfied. Talk to them and they’ll help you out.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

My home consultant was very nice, very friendly and always ready to answer our questions about stuff. And he communicated a lot which is the best thing. He was always on top of it and told us if he had any issues or anything popped up, and made sure that we are aware of what we had to do. We did a little bit of customization for our home. There were wide of options but, we weren't too picky. We liked it so much we just went with basically how it was.

The linoleum floors did really really well. It's easy to clean. The island and the kitchen was really nice as well, very open and inviting. A lot of people as soon as they walk in say, “Wow it looks really nice". However there's been some issue as far as quality on some of the items in the house. There were issues with some of the outlets for the entire kitchen, only some of the lights worked. And there were also issue with the hot water heater where it wasn't actually plugged in. But, as far as the cosmetics of it has been very great. I settled the issue with that. And as soon as I called them, they came out immediately and got that fix for me.

Everything's taken care of immediately. Overall it was fantastic! People don’t look at the trailer like they did 20-30 years ago. Its a lot more accessible and easy to do now. They're expensive for what they are. But my price was very good for what I got. But, looking at some of them they're expensive and you could almost buy a house for it so, I'm very satisfied with it.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Home buying process with Clayton was fine. Their people were friendly and were always in communication with me. They were great.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

We have had nothing but problems with the home and the company, our siding blew off so did our roof shingles. The cupboards are all falling off the hinges because they left them on during the move here. The shower in the master bath has been torn apart for months waiting for the right tile to be installed (they sent the wrong one two times before), and one of the faucets doesn't work. We have been waiting for a year for these issues to be fixed and are still waiting. To top everything off we just had an inspection done of the foundation for the home and it failed. They did everything wrong.

So now we have a new house that's falling apart that we can't even finance because it failed inspection and we can't sell, and the entire home we have been living in for a year has to be lifted up so the foundation can be fixed. DO NOT. DO NOT. DO NOT buy a home from this company. They hire the cheapest contractors to do the work from beginning to end. We even have a ton of paint spots on the floor from the factory. They take absolutely no pride in their work because they will sell the home regardless. Do yourself a favor and have a house built no matter what. It will save you a huge hassle in the end and the quality will be 100% better. I will NEVER buy a manufactured home again.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Clayton Homes had what I was looking for as far as a used mobile home. I paid cash so they gave me a fair deal for the cash price. I was able to work with the movers and the setup people that they used. I paid them to set the mobile home up and I had no issues. Everybody was very friendly and I’m very happy with my home. I've referred others looking for a mobile home to go to Clayton first.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clayton Homes?

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

We bought our single wide home new in 2003. While shopping we looked around at several different companies but end up deciding on Clayton because the salespeople were so nice and friendly. Worst mistake ever... as we've found out since, friendly salespeople is ALL this company has going for it. Our home is now 14 years old and it's falling apart despite us taking good care of it. The trim is falling off, the laminate countertops are peeling off, the laminate on the cabinet doors is bubbling and peeling and looks crappy. We've had to replace almost every doorknob because they all just fell off. We have a cabinet that wasn't even built square and actually bows out on the side. The front doorway wasn't even built square so our door hasn't ever properly closed. We can't even close our door well enough to lock it. It's super poorly insulated and we fight HIGH electric bills in the winter.

The most recent thing that happened, which really opened my eyes to exactly how incredibly crappy these homes are made, is a roofer recently FELL THROUGH OUR ROOF as he was putting a new roof on. We recently had some storm damage (Wind blew a section of shingles off) so we had new shingles put on. The roofer was up there removing the shingles and stepped on an area that was pieced together. When they built it, they took a bunch of little scraps of that pressed chipboard and PIECED them together without any sort of good support.

He basically stepped right on that spot and his FOOT FELL STRAIGHT THROUGH OUR CEILING. Now, get this... the spot he fell through wasn't in the area that was damaged and all the wood was fresh and clean... NOTHING ROTTEN or anything. Now if that isn't a crap job of a build, I don't know what is! It makes me sick thinking of all the money we've forked into our home. We'll be lucky if it's livable by the time we get it paid for. Speaking of paying for it brings up the other part of this horrible company. VANDERBILT. Hands down the worst company to have to deal with ever... but that's opening up a whole different can of worms and I don't have time at the moment to get into all that. So PLEASE... if you're looking for a home and you come upon a Clayton Homes center... DON'T STOP. KEEP RIGHT ON GOING.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Clayton had a show house and we looked at it. They called me about the one just came in from factory and that’s when I went ahead and pay cash for the house. I like most of the home itself. My wife and I, we looked at other homes and they were nice. But, my wife was talking about the Breeze II. And we wanted a four bedroom because I still have two grandchildren together with me.

Everything worked out real good. And I believe the house was made in Sulphur Springs Texas. And I’ve heard a lot of good about that. The price was reasonable. And it was to the point where we figure that was the best option. I've been very happy with the people at Clayton in Porter Texas, starting with the manager down to the young man who has just started working there. Their people brought the house in and they set it the way I wanted. They put the house together and the finish inside. Everyone did a great job! It really worked out good for us. However I had a few little issues with the house but the lady who handles sending out the worker to come out and make the real small adjustments responded very quickly. And they’re really pleasant people to deal with. I've been very very satisfied about the Breeze II. I've been very happy with it. It was very energy efficient.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

We bought a Clayton model home off of the lot. We thought there were permits being done already but then we found out that they hadn’t started it. They put us in a hotel room a little bit longer than we thought, but overall it was fine and they were easy to work with. We love the layout of our home and the rooms but the only thing we’ve not liked were the cabinets that were in the kitchen. They were very cheaply made. When we took them apart, they were very light and easy to move. I would rather have the nice ones already put in and paid that. So, we replaced the cabinets with some that were durable. Other than that, everything else is good quality and I’ve enjoyed it. I would recommend Clayton Homes but people should make sure that they see what cabinets come with the house.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

Wanting to move closer to family from Florida to Kentucky, and four (4) years of research, it was decided to locate a Clayton Homes business close to where we were moving. April, 2017, we found a home and paid cash. Agreements were signed, process outlined, etc... In June, 2017, we returned to Kentucky to check on next steps and found there were some delays: 1) Rep had not been to property to examine feasibility of property we purchased; 2) Were told the full "crew" had 'walked out' and there were 30+ other people waiting ahead of us.

In July, 2017, after numerous and countless emails, texts, phone calls, it was decided we officially retired and moved 2nd week of August. We were told we were NEXT to have our home delivered to our land. We were then informed by an employee, that crew had not quit/walked off job; they had all been released. Upon arrival in Kentucky, we found that not even a shovel of dirt had been moved and were told they were waiting for us to arrive. SO, storage units were rented as movers were arriving within 2 weeks thinking delivery would be into an actual house; a place to stay for 4 of us was needed; etc...

On October 10, 2017, a complaint was filed with the Clayton office in TN; after 3 weeks of phone call messages not being returned from them, another call was made to another "advocate" and 68 pictures were emailed and a four page listing of damages/items to be repaired/fixed. NO RETURN RESPONSE from anyone at Clayton Home's office in TN to date (Dec 2, 2017). After many more phones calls, visits to local office, as of late October, our house was still not ready for occupancy.

1/2 of house was delivered damaged first week of September (severe crack in ceiling of living room and the roof; and frame damaged/tongue) and mover damaged home on road en route to location; (pictures taken); second half of home was delivered one week later; 2 windows were left open -- rain soaked bedroom carpet and other into kitchen; 1/2 of home delivered in dark (sun had set 1/2 hour earlier - picture of darkness was sent to sales rep as we had been informed the crew said we would not allow them to finish their job) and we did stop the crew from attempting to get it anchored in pitch black due to safety concerns of them and the home.

After getting 2 pieces put together, damage was noticeable inside and out. (Pictures taken). Towards end of October, 6 months after house was purchased and available, inventory of the condition of home was taken. We had purchased the furnishing package and NO items were secured for move -- consequently broken items on floors (glass particles - pictures taken) -- including refrigerator which slid about 4-5 feet during move. Our present accommodations were not available after 3rd week of October. Consequently we located a hotel for a while.

A full inventory was taken of house damages etc., and presented them to a manager from the local Clayton Homes; a meeting on our property was held with him, a representative from Fleetwood Homes. They were -- specifically Fleetwood rep -- extremely rude and condescending to point one of us had to leave the room due to the tone and bullying tactics of the conversation. After many more days of delays, a rep from Fleetwood arrived to repair "some" of the damages but as of four weeks later -- 12/2/17, has not returned to finish replacing molding missing resulting in an opening in the walls/corners.

As of today, we still only have one means of egress from house which is safe; the HVAC or HV system is STILL not working properly, it is bringing outside COLD air into house when heat is put on; water is expelling from pipe for the AC even though AC has not been turned on in 4-5 weeks; corner edges are cracked outside of home; front door is broken and has been broken since day home was delivered; loose lever on hot water heater, ceiling in living room is falling again (although it had been repaired shortly after delivery); bathroom fan is hanging loose; etc., etc., etc...

Another call was made to the local Clayton Homes on November 30, 2017. Response was promised on Dec 1. No calls received. We have over 68 pictures of damages and 4 pages of issues. GREATEST CONCERN: we have guardianship of two grandchildren -- "under age" -- aged 11 and 14. We can only put so many blankets on them when temperatures are in the '20s and '30s and the air is blowing into the house via vents.

My recommendation is to read the reviews on this company and take them seriously. Working for 45-50 years to purchase a home to retire in and to safeguard our two grandchildren and have nothing to show for it was not our dream. Info I've received on other Clayton dealers is hearsay and therefore will not elaborate. I am addressing the Clayton Homes of Benton and the customer advocate dept. (customer complaints) at the TN main office.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Home arrived on our property. We have pictures and films of that process, we're told a tire that wasn't attended to flew up and damaged the floor from underneath. We're still not sure where the damage is located. That has been put off on the trim out crew and they were unable to find it. We have no heat, now day 2 waiting for someone to come figure out way. We had water turned on yesterday and this morning upon arriving see water pouring out from under our home. So we have now paid cash for a home we cannot live in. Our fireplace flue was not hooked up, we were told our fireplace people would do it. If we choose to burn wood and not gas logs then there is no fireplace people. I believe when home was installed this should have been done. Connections arrived with the house. We have spoken to the factory on some issues, we're told they would call us back the next day. No phone call.

Scott,

We are sorry to hear about the issues you have been having with getting service completed on your home. A team member from our Customer Advocacy Team will be reaching out to you shortly.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Everyone was good to me at Clayton Homes. I wasn’t expecting to get the loan, but when I applied for it, they had lenders that work with people with less than perfect credit. Then Clayton told me that I was approved for the loan. They had set up the whole thing like they were supposed to and everything went smoothly. The home consultant was good and answered all of our questions. We had always wanted to get a different trailer because of the size, then the one we wanted came up. The home consultant worked with the builder down there and we took a long beach drive there, then Clayton said, “No problem. We’ll get it ordered.” They understood about everything and set things up just as we wanted. There were a lot of rearrangements that had to be done with the other trailer that we thought we were going to get. But they were able to get for us the longer trailer that we wanted, so we didn’t have to get the shorter one.

The only thing was, Clayton had told me that my home was set up for moving in by a certain date. So, we assumed that they would have everything done by then and we were ready to move out from our previous place. But then they turned around and said, “We didn’t say that.” They need not say something that isn’t actually going to happen. We had to move because the place we lived in had already been rented out to someone else. Despite that, however, I'll recommend Clayton Homes to people and I'd buy again from them.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I purchased a 2017 Clayton home 16x80 and upon first glance it looks amazing!! Myself and the seller did a QUICK walk through and I was very excited about the layout and all the neutral colors. I ended doing a lease to own option and the asking price was $56,400.00. As we were moving in we were doing the new construction clean up and to my surprise the house literally started to fall apart. I started by washing all the walls floor to ceiling and as I'd come across the strips that covered the seams of the sheetrock they literally FELL OFF just by hitting them with a wash rag! So I stopped altogether and walked around the entire home inside and out. WOW. I am so very disappointed in the quality of the craftsmanship. Not only did they shoot the nails too far through the wood on the trim but also around all the door trim!!

Everything was falling off the walls!! #2 under all my windows where they had pre hung curtains were wrinkled spots where they messed up on installing the wallpaper. Here's the real kicker... I decided to do a detailed inspection of the exterior of the house and I about had a heart attack!! During transport of the house they screw wood slats to the form of the home to keep the siding from coming off as well as down the side of the home about 10 feet back from the front of the house. Keep in mind that they said the house was done and really for move in! No joke. There were screw holes everywhere on the siding! Before I went to tell management I decided to jump up on the roof before I went and spoke my piece about the place. There was literally 147 screw holes in my shingles! None of them were sealed.

I've now been here for 30 days and I've had ABSOLUTELY NO PROGRESS to the repairs on my home. After I spoke to management about the issues with the house I was told I had to contact Clayton Homes to file a warranty!! Or the manager would do so for me. Here I moved in on Nov. 2nd and here in Minnesota it's winter!! I'm still waiting today for the repairs to be started! Ok. I got to vent a little about these homes. Now let's talk about what was promised. I was promised a shed with the home along with a deck and skirting and NONE OF IT HAS BEEN INSTALLED YET TO DATE!!!

The purpose of me ranting and raving about this is because I spent so much money and for what??? To be treated like a number! Here is almost December 1st and the ground is freezing and there's still no skirting. There are over 30+ brand new homes in this community so I decided to take a walk and look at some of my neighbor's homes with their permission and much to my surprise all 5 houses I looked at were in the same shape as my home!! FALLING APART!!! Maybe we just got the short end of the stick on this one but then again maybe not! I went to management with my concerns and yes I was a little upset. But I was told if I'm unhappy I can just move out! SAY WHAT!!! Ummm what about fixing my home instead of telling me too just move out! SERIOUSLY!

All in all... This was a HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE. Now I'm sitting here with no skirting, holes in my siding and roof, I have 2 very large holes in the belly of the house, I'm missing siding in spots, my front columns are all bent, my doors have gaps where air comes through, I have had 2 faucets break, a drain pipe was cracked, the bathroom waterline was broken, all the doors need to be readjusted because they're tight on the top and there a gap a out 3/4 of an inch on the bottom!! All the trim needs to be replaced. People... Even my kitchen drawers don't close right! I'll end this here because I could rant all day. CHOOSE WISELY WITH CLAYTON HOMES!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Buying a home from Clayton Homes has been great. My home consultant, Steve, was awesome and he communicated very well. I didn’t have to always call. Instead, he always called me and kept me updated. He even allowed me to switch homes until I got the exact home that I could afford and that I like. Even after I got the home, he was pretty good. If I had any issues, he asked somebody to come out to make sure that everything was done properly. He also called and checked in to make sure that it got done. He was on top of his game from the beginning to the end.

Before I even got the home, Clayton's reps told me all the different banks that I could have financed through. They walked me through the paperwork and before I could sign everything, they gave me the breakdown of the mortgage as well as how everything can be paid. There were lots of things I did not know before I got there or never had experience with and they gave me good tips on the things I needed to look out for and those that I needed to be aware of as far as credit goes. Once I got approved, they told me not to get nothing else because it would affect my credit when I'm purchasing a home. Overall, Clayton Homes should keep up the good work. I have also recommend three people to them.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Our home buying experience with Clayton Homes went well. Their consultant was very informative and funny. I had a little trouble with understanding how things were going to go in planning out my property and setting up utilities and she was really good at explaining those things to us. When I went in, I wasn’t even sure if I was ready to buy a home because I was concerned that my credit score wasn’t where it needed to be. So, she encouraged me to just go ahead and fill out the application and we’d see where I stood. And that way, I could figure out what I needed to do to get to where I needed to be. I got a conditional approval initially and so I had to turn in some stuff. But she was really helpful with it. And when I get frustrated, she would just talk to me. She was really great. In the end, I didn’t have to work on my credit at all. My score was actually higher than I thought. I now have my own house, it's my first home and everything is really good.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

The representatives of Clayton Homes have done great and stayed in touch with me to let me know everything that’s being done and how the progress is coming with my home. They’ve also answered every question that I had. I was really pleased with that and I was very satisfied with the home buying process.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Clayton Homes is in our hometown. I've always seen it but just never had to stop before. I decided one day to stop. Then I bought a mobile home for my granddaughter and then I bought the one that I just purchased and the quality is fine. The sales person was just so friendly and seemed well to do. The home buying process was great. They explained it all and it went smoothly. Miss Donna just wanted to help us so much. She was wonderful. I customized a lot of things in my home. I put ceiling fans in every room. I put one of the bathtubs I liked in one of the other homes, brought it in mine and they put it in there for me. I also put a utility sink in the utility room and they customized that for me, upgraded our kitchen. I also put atrium doors on both sides of the kitchen.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

When Clayton was bringing the trailer, the bottom part hit and it broke some plumbing pipes when it got set up. I called them and asked them If they want me to wait and they'll send somebody out because my plumber was there to hook everything up when he found it and they told me to just go ahead and get him to do it and they would pay it.

I've sent the invoice, and I've had to call four times, and they’ve never paid him. They keep telling me that it's corporate. But other than that everything else was great. Everybody was awesome. My mom has been in the trailer for months. Their people made the buying process very easy and they were very helpful. Anytime that we did have problems, they always took care of it.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

My mom and dad were buying a house the same time as my wife and I were. We went in and walked through the houses from Clayton Homes. My wife and I were thinking about what we're buying and looked online for a couple. Clayton Homes broke down our prices on what we could afford. I said the exact monthly payment that I didn’t want to go over and they made sure that we didn’t go nowhere near it. It was a nice and simple process. The first home consultant that we had was Alesha but she ended up transferring out. She left us with Steve, which is the manager of our site and home down here in Mobile, Alabama. He calls me all the time to make sure if there’s anything else I need or if anything is wrong.

I had everything that could go right but what really stood out was their customer service. It was my first time every buying a house. Any questions I had, I can call them up and if they’re busy with someone else, they'd still get back with me within the day or the following morning. They’re always looking for ways to improve themselves without anyone else saying. When there's something incorrect that came from the manufacturer, they'd say, “Okay, let me see how I can fix that.” Instead of, “Oh, well that's all back on them, there’s nothing we can do about it.” I enjoyed everything with them and I’d recommend Clayton Homes to anybody.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017
I’m very, very satisfied with Clayton. I went through a smooth process. One of the companies was a little delayed in getting back with us to do repairs or corrections. But the manager that sold me the home sent contractors out to take care of everything. So, he went out of the way to make sure I was happy.

The consultant was very informative and professional too. They went into great detail with what I would receive, what I was purchasing and my design. I changed the layout by putting a porch on side of the house. Clayton delivered what they promised, and it's a very good home.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I was very satisfied with the home buying process over at Clayton in Austin. I read on a website that PJ was the one everybody was recommending to go to as a salesman. When I walked in, he was the first person I met and he was great. He is very knowledgeable and he knew his job and everything about the house. Everything he said to me was on point. It was true. He took me exactly to where I wanted to be and I didn’t have to spend a lot of time looking for what I wanted. He was very professional and friendly, and we actually ended up being friends.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

We were very satisfied with Clayton Homes. Their reps were great, answered all of our questions and got back with us if they didn’t know the answer. Also, when we had a water leak, they were right there to fix it. We had to get the area dried out because we didn’t find the leak until the water saturated the closet. Then they got the mold people out there to check it for molds. They tore it out, then, they had to dry it out for a few days. It went two weeks before they got everything fixed and painted back.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

The home buying process with Clayton was good and easy. They did everything so I didn't have to do a whole lot. The consultant was intelligent about the whole process and she explained it out to me. I would tell others to check into Clayton Homes if they were looking into buying a home.

Clayton Homes response

We appreciate you taking the time to share this feedback, Joel! We'll be sure to pass along your praises of your home consultant to her team. Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I am very pleased with my home and everybody that has come to see it says it's beautiful. My favorites are my bathroom, and my kitchen, the open concept part of the house. It's fabulous. My guest bathroom is very beautiful and it looks like a master bath. Kristi, our home consultant, was fantastic. She has helped me so much through the process and took a lot of the stress out for me. When it should have been on me, she said, "Let me deal with it, I know what to do", and she guided me through the whole process and told me exactly what to expect, and was wonderful. She called me whenever something needed my attention, and helped me all along the way. She went overboard and she was very good.

I was impressed with how Clayton worked with me and got the things that I wanted in this particular house, and for accommodating me. This house did not have a second story and they worked with me on the floor plan, the things that I wanted to change about, and just did it to my specification. Everything turned out better than what I thought it would. Dan who works in the manufacturing company helped a lot too. He showed me pictures to make sure that it's what I wanted, and we went out to the factory, and he let me see the process of how they get a home and watched it being built. It was very good and they were excellent.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you SO much for such thoughtful feedback, Lisa. We loved reading how happy you are with your home and everyone you worked with at Clayton! We'll be sure to pass along your praises of Kristi and Dan to their teams. Congratulations on your new, custom, home!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Our buying process with Clayton Homes was fine. In fact, their reps were very helpful. We had a few issues and they took care of all of our problems. They answered every time we called for something and they follow through any time we need anything. Their home consultant was excellent. We've never bought a mobile home and we didn't know what to do, or how to get electric hooked up, etc. And they had all kinds of people ready to do that who were willing to help us. They walked us through everything that we needed to do. So, I at least didn't feel stupid talking to the electric company.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

My wife and I purchased a new manufactured home in 2001 from a Clayton Homes retail center in Casa Grande, Arizona. This was our first manufactured home and it'll be our last. As with any home, you expect to have a few issues over time and numerous problems will inevitably occur like finding dirt under the carpet. However, we found a few very serious problems shortly after purchase with others much later either due to necessary replacement or during remodeling or repair which can only be described now as "quality control" issues. We found an incorrectly installed A/C unit during replacement and grossly inferior windows discovered with a little time and weather.

Finally, severe quality control issues were found during a remodel of the kitchen and guest bathroom. We discovered large holes in the floor in both areas, rat droppings, and part of drywall was missing (behind the tub) exposing the outer insulation. The large holes allowed rodents, outside air, and dust to freely enter our home unbeknownst to us. See photos. The most unforgivable problem, perhaps due to our lack of experience, was that we were never given an option for upgrades at the time of purchase. Had we known, we would have certainly opted for better windows and 2x6 studs in the outer walls.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I was very satisfied in my home buying experience with Clayton Homes. The home consultant was excellent. Everything that we asked, he had an answer for. He knew everything right off the top of his head and didn’t have to stop and leave us to go talk to somebody else to get the information. Everything was right on the money and he didn’t BS us about anything. I’ve already been recommending people to Clayton Homes.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I bought the lot model, and I’ve been having problems with it ever since. But Clayton Homes has been great about what they could do. The company, itself, is doing good but their contractors are kind of lax and some of the work of the getting done are shabby. I had a leak in my small bathroom. They came in and they replaced it, but they left out a few parts. The plunger that lifts, that stops the water doesn’t work. They left that part of it, and they changed the batteries for the smoke detectors, and one of them wasn’t even connected. And it still doesn’t work. The master bath had a low part in it that the tub, it wouldn’t drain all the way. It only took about three or four months to get it done, get it replaced.

Clayton should make sure the model that is set up on the lot is complete and ready to go because I tried to turn on a circuit breaker and it completely shorted out because they had a big old wire going from one end to the other that caused the short, and it left a lot like that. And some things weren’t done like I got a laundry room, it had no vents going out for the dryer. Do not to buy the model home because that’s what we bought and that’s what we got and it had all kinds of problems with it. But I’m happy with the place we have although we’d put a lot of work and time waiting for it to get up to snuff.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

We went and looked at the trailer house. They said its price and I beat them down a little bit. They had a few little issues and they took care of it. And they called a lot to see if I had any issues. For $40,000, the quality is exceptionally well. It was a smooth experience with Clayton Homes.

Jeremie,

Clayton works hard to provide a smooth and hassle free home buying experience. From first time home buyers to those looking to upgrade their current living situation our sales teams are here to guide through the home buying journey. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience with Clayton.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

We got in our Clayton Homes mobile home around March. They had a good process and I really enjoyed dealing with them. I also loved the rep who helped me out. She's been really good. She came out here and knew what it took to get my best interest in. She was also down to earth and I really appreciated her. But there are a couple of things that I still got to get them to do.

There's a septic tank line connected to my home but it's not yet covered up so they still need to finish that. For some reason, they're a little bit slow about getting it done. I told them about it a while back and they came out, but they covered only half of it. As far as everything else, they’ve come in and fixed pretty much everything that I had a problem with. Also, to my understanding, mobile homes are not going to be custom-built. But there are a few things in there that I wish were done a little bit better like the molding and the curtain rods which are an inch and a half out of level. Overall I’m happy with Clayton Homes and the home that I got from them.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

We were riding around looking for a home and we rode to Clayton Homes. I love my home and it was a good deal. We got the best price so that was a good decision. The consultant was excellent. They were helpful and they let me know what was going on. They had everything in a row for me so I knew what I had to do and what I had to get to them, and it was easy. They were nice to me the whole time, and if I had any questions, they’re more than willing to answer. They go above and beyond. If they continue being on top of stuff like they are, they’ll do great. We’ve already told others that Clayton is a good group of people to work with if they’re trying to buy a home.

Clayton Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

Clayton Homes was founded in 1956 and specializes in affordable, quality-built modular and manufactured homes. It offers floor plans for a wide variety of home sizes and styles.​

• Different building methods: Clayton builds traditional site-built homes, modular homes, manufactured homes and tiny houses.

• Offers trade-ins: Customers can trade in their current home for a new manufactured home in order to save on costs.

• Homes with basements are available: Clayton Homes can be ordered with a full basement.

• Model homes available in most locations: Users can visit a Clayton Home Center to see model homes or set up a tour.

• Environmentally friendly: Clayton has received an ISO (International Organization for Standardization) certification for green building standards.

• Customizable options: Homebuyers with specific needs can get a custom-built home.

• Best for: Clayton Homes is best for people on a budget, buyers with time constraints and people with special needs.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini

Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Clayton Homes Company Information