2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

4.3/5 (523 ratings)

About Clayton Homes

Clayton Homes is a manufactured home builder that offers an array of home types, from traditional site-built homes to tiny homes. With a focus on green building practices and multiple customizable features available, Clayton Homes can help you achieve homeownership within your budget.

Pros

• Customization available
  • Choice of quality home brands
  • Energy-efficient homes

Cons

• Potential land restrictions
  • Complex modular home financing

Bottom Line

Clayton Homes offers a wide array of home types and prices to choose from along with energy-efficient features and options. The company works with multiple name-brand home equipment and appliance brands.

Top Clayton Homes Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The home buying process at Clayton was very easy. I couldn't ask for anything better. Their manager Tracy was outstanding. If I had any questions, she handled it right away... Eve...

Verified

I was recommended by a family member that owned a home through Clayton Homes. The buying process was easy. There was no stress and I was never pressured into buying a home. Everyo...

What is Clayton Homes?

Clayton Homes is a homebuilding company that offers a variety of home styles, including tiny homes, modular homes, apartment complexes and more. The company has been in business for more than 60 years and has experience with the intricate and complex processes that go into building your perfect home. The company is ISO 14001- and LEED-certified for green building projects. It also offers ENERGY STAR-certified homes for environmentally conscious buyers.

How does Clayton Homes work?

After working with a Clayton Homes specialist to design your dream home, the next step is to find the right land and secure financing. If you haven’t found the right space for your Clayton Home, the company’s team of professionals work with you to find land that fits your needs and budget.

Clayton Homes are built by first selecting from a variety of trusted home equipment and appliance brands, including MOEN, Frigidaire and Georgia-Pacific. The steel foundation is then laid before the flooring and plumbing system is installed. Next, the exterior walls and roofing are constructed, followed by a thorough inspection. Additional land improvements can be made if necessary or requested.

Clayton Homes prices

The cost of a home from Clayton Homes is based on factors including the size, brands used, type of home and selected features. Most homes start in the $140,000 range. The average price of a Clayton Home built in 2019 was $312,286.

Without land, the average price for a home built off-site cost $78,817. You can expect additional costs for various features such as energy-saving appliances or materials. Homeowners looking to reduce costs can work with Clayton Homes to eliminate features or opt for more affordable home appliance and equipment brands.

Clayton Homes FAQ

Who owns Clayton Homes?
Clayton Homes is owned by Berkshire Hathaway. The company was created in 1956 by Jim Clayton.
Are Clayton Homes modular?
Clayton Homes does build modular homes. Other home types are also available for purchase, including site-built homes and tiny houses.
Do Clayton Homes come furnished?
No, homeowners are required to furnish their homes. Homes built by Clayton Homes do include kitchen, bathroom and other appliances requested by the homeowner.
How much are Clayton Homes?
The price of Clayton Homes varies based on the selections made by the buyer. Costs include the price for labor, the appliances and materials selected and other various fees.
How much of a down payment do you need for Clayton Homes?
The amount of down payment necessary for a Clayton Home depends on the financing you receive. For instance, FHA loans require a minimum of 3.5% of the sales price as a down payment.
Does Clayton Homes help find land?
Clayton Homes helps customers find land for their homes. If the consultant is unable to find land, the company has an extensive network of local real estate professionals ready to help.
Is Clayton Homes a good company?
With the variety of homes and features available, along with energy-efficient options and green building certifications, many customers agree that Clayton Homes is a good company to work with.
What credit score do you need to get a Clayton home?
The credit score needed to buy a Clayton home is based on the loan type required. Conventional loans will need higher credit scores, usually in the 680 or higher range, while FHA loans are available with lower credit scores of 580 and above.
Are Clayton Homes built well?
Yes. In addition to quality building practices and materials, each build is thoroughly inspected. Each build comes with the Clayton Built stamp of approval, which is the company’s commitment to building excellence.

Are Clayton Homes good?

Clayton Homes provides a myriad of home types and features to choose from. These homes are ideal for the homebuyer who wants some control over the homebuilding process without the hefty price tag. Additionally, the company’s commitment to green building and energy-efficiency is a benefit for homeowners looking to actively reduce their energy bills or carbon footprint.

Clayton Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clayton Homes?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

My daughter bought a Clayton home years ago and it seemed to be a pretty decent home. She recommended that maybe we would look around and see what they had and when we decided to purchase from them, I got sticker shock. I didn't dream that the mobile homes had increased the amount that they had. But once I got adjusted to the sticker price and I found that Vanderbilt was willing to finance anything within reason, we went from there. The rep we had went out of his way to talk to us and settled anything that needed to be settled. If something was not put together correctly and needed to be adjusted, he had somebody on it right away. It turned out just about everything had to be adjusted because after moving a mobile home, everything was pushed in in the wrong place. Maybe it was the illusion that reset doors and windows. But rather than wait two or three weeks, he had them the same day or the next day.

Right now, we are still doing custom things to the home. We needed more cabinet space, so bought some cabinets and got them in. One other thing was our bathrooms. We weren't satisfied with the mirrors and the light was reflected in the wrong place. But we put in new medicine cabinets in each bathroom. Then, we wanted to hang pictures and it was difficult because they always want to come loose and bolts want to come out. But we figured if the wall was untaggable, we were able to put things in the walls and the pictures would stay there long if we want them.

Aside from that, our home is not going to repair very easy. If something breaks, it's going to have to be replaced. Our floor looks like tile, but it's linoleum. It’s too easy to scratch the top surface and ours got scratched the time when they were moving stuff in and out when we moved in. And since it is linoleum, it’s one thing and you got to fix all of it. If I had to do it all over again, I would say go with a house and don't get a trailer. The lady that lives out here had seen them when they brought the mobile home on to the property. She said that they pushed it in such a manner that it looked like it was going to fall completely apart. But it lived through it and nothing was broken.

All in all, the home is about as good as you can expect in a mobile home. Plus, Clayton has done everything they could do to make things better for us and people could depend on the fact that they are going to sell them a good living space. A mobile home’s got a lot going for it, too. It's easy to clean, to keep warm, and to keep cool in the summer.

Clayton Homes response

Warren, thank you so much for sharing your buying experience with us. We love how you were able to add and customize the home to meet your needs! Many of our homes offer certain floor customizations based on needs.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

We like the home a lot. We purchased it in the Phoenix area, but our house was two hours north of Phoenix. We loved the salespeople at Clayton Homes, the project managers and the people who helped out with the warranty issues. We know all of them very well because we had another Clayton home here in the Valley that we sold recently. We've had two Clayton homes at the same time, and there seems to be some kind of rivalry between the Chino Valley Clayton Homes office and the Mesa Clayton Homes office.

We purchased our first home from the Mesa Clayton Homes office. We went to our sales rep and had such a wonderful experience. We said, “We're buying some land in Chino Valley, and we would love to do another Clayton home with you.” They were very happy and really excited to get onboard with that. They suggested that we go to the Chino Valley Clayton Homes sales office and “Tell them that you're working with us in Mesa. Tell them that you just wanna see some model homes.” We went to the Chino Valley sales office to look at some models, and we told them, “Everybody from Mesa sent us here. We're working with them. They told us to come and see some models.”

The Chino Valley sales office got some of their contractors who just happened to be in there, and the sales rep, and they were trying to talk us out of working with Mesa. They wanted us to work with them directly, and they were bad mouthing the Mesa guys and saying, “You know, you don't wanna do that. And we know the area better, and they don't know what they're doing up here.” I don't know if that had anything to do with how our house looked when we first walked in, but I'm sure that the Mesa guys eventually had to say to the Chino Valley sales office, “Hey, do you have contractors in the area that we can use to put the house together?” ‘Cause I'm sure it wasn't the same people as Phoenix.

When we moved into the Chino Valley house, there was glue all over our countertop. We upgraded the countertops, and they weren't granite but Corian. We also had to use razor blades to try to scrape glue off the counters. They didn't even put fasteners on the shelving. When we went to put plates and glasses, the shelves just came crashing down. There were also a lot of things that weren't finished with caulking and grout. There were flooring issues and big scrapes in the laminate, and the flooring is scheduled to be replaced.

There were a lot of things that were vastly different from the experience that we had when we purchased our home in Phoenix. Whether it was doing the cabinetry or the countertops, it seems like that wasn't done very well. A lot of corners were cut, and a lot of things were missing, but the Clayton Mesa individuals stepped up to the plate and remedied everything. However, it would have been better if we went to the Chino office and not even told them that we were working with Mesa. If we would have just said, “Oh, we just wanna look and see some models,” it would have been a way more pleasant experience.

Clayton Homes response

Hello Yvonne, thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us. We strive to provide a world-class customer experience, and will share with the appropriate teams in order to improve customer service success.

Original review: July 10, 2021

The purchasing process at Clayton was simple. Everything was explained to us as we went along, step by step, very clear what was going on from one step to another. Any kind of paperwork or anything that they needed from us was simple. They made it very simple. The whole experience with them was so easy. I’d need things sometimes explained to me in layman's terms and they did exactly what I wanted them to do. I brought in a notebook with me every time I spoke to them. I wrote down everything. If I didn't understand it, they had no problem explaining it simpler to me. They were just really good people to work with.

When I met the rep, Morgan, she was very kind. I said to her, “Just go step by step with me because I'll get overwhelmed.” I'm a police dispatcher, and my days are just crazy. She told me exactly step by step what I needed to do. I told her, “Okay, what's the step after that?” That was the only time she gave it to me in advance, was when I said to her, “Okay, I got that.” She also hooked me up with everybody that I needed to be hooked up with like the bank. She went way over and beyond. She was just a great person to work with.

We bought land in July. Right before we bought the land, we went into Clayton and said, “How does this process work if we wanted to buy our own land and have a home put on it?” We told her what we were looking at. She told me I just have to go from there and to get a closing done on that, to get the property, get the closing done, and then get all the paperwork over to them. She just took it from there.

She went a little further. There was a well that was supposed to be on the property that we bought, but we never found it. And we didn't want a well. We wanted to get public water and there weren't any lines. It was never lived on. It was just completely open land. Nobody wanted to take responsibility for it, whether it be the city or the county. She went way over and beyond. She got in touch with the county, and said, “These people just bought this and they're gonna live on it. You're messing with our livelihood. Somebody has to take responsibility for this piece of land and put the pipes down.” They did it with no charge. They ate about $5,000. There was no charge because it was just such a process. They didn't understand who was gonna take it and who was gonna be responsible for it. She went to bat for us.

She gave us choices and options of what we wanted. When we went to look, she gave us an open court of what we wanted. She let us go through each one of them and didn't pressure us into anything. Just told us to take our time and think about what we wanted. If we had picked something that was out of our upbringing, she gave us options for something different. We told her what we had wanted and she stayed in that area.

They had a floor plan, and that was the most fun part out of it. Going in and picking out all the colors. It was great. It turned out exactly the way that I wanted it. When we were doing that, she said to me, “If there's something in here that clashes, we have professional people, and we'll just let you know that might not go together.“ But that never happened. Everything was just the way we wanted it to be.

It started in July and we were all moved in by the end of December. That was all it took and that was during COVID time. So, that was during the time that we didn't know if we were going to get our cabinets. We didn’t know if we were gonna get our appliances. Anything that came from Mexico, we didn't know if we were gonna get it on time. We didn't know how long it was gonna take and she kept on it. She made it work. We were in there a week before Christmas. She’s a top-notch woman. We couldn't thank her enough.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Emily, thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! We are so glad we were able to offer you a peace of mind throughout your purchase process. We appreciate you so much and are so glad that you chose Clayton Homes!

Original review: May 12, 2021

We looked at West Homes and the lady up there was really pushy. We had looked at Clayton in Rogersville and we had some price and it was a little bit over our budget, but I had heard really good things about them. We found the house that we wanted in Kingsport and we went back to Clayton in Rogersville and purchased it. We added some stuff to it like a fireplace and a sliding glass door. We wanted a family room. We liked the layout of this one.

Clayton in Rogersville has went way far and beyond to help us. They are excellent. They've always tried to work with us really well with anything that we wanted to change. Any problems we've ever had, they've always been right there and helped us. We had the construction loan. We both learned a lot in between the construction loan. They worked with the Eastman Credit Union. There was no communication about anything with the escrow place that they went through to do it. We didn't like that part. That did not have anything to do with Clayton. When we got our closing cost, it ended up to being 2,000 more than we thought because they got the surveyor and they didn't let us choose a surveyor. They didn't communicate with us to say, "This has went up. The surveyor is a lot more. Your closing cost is gonna be a lot more." When it happened, it was a surprise.

Neither one also didn't tell us that there will be a fee to do the conversion over what converted from the mortgage loan conversion from the construction loan to the mortgage loan. They didn't tell us that equating it was an $1,800 charge. We had put $1,000 down and they were like $800 short. Instead of making us pay that because it wasn't our fault, Clayton let that go.

I love Dylan. We still call each other. There are a few stuff that they're getting ready to do. What happened was, we have the decks build in. We didn't have the gate put on the back. So, I called him and I asked him how much would it cost for him to build me just the gate for the back like I got on the front. He said, "Oh, don't worry about it. We'll get that." So, he's having the guy that does the decks build us a gate. They're gonna kind of put it on.

I talked to Bobby this morning and he's waiting on the guys to bring the gate to come and do it all at once. One of my blinds broke and he ordered me another blind for my sliding glass door, and they're going to come and put that on. We had rocks put on our driveway that was in our construction loan and we didn't have enough to go all the way up our driveway. When I was gonna get this guy to do it and they told me they would get Chris to come out here and put me some more rocks, and they did. I loved that they surprised me and they did it for me. I would very highly recommend all of them. They've all been really good with us.

Clayton Homes response

Angela, thank you so much for reaching out and sharing your Clayton Homes buying experience. We're happy to hear that the team you worked with was very proactive in resolving any issues.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

I had visited a couple other places but they didn't have the selection like they did at the Clayton Homes in Dalton where we purchased ours from. We also considered finding the closest dealer and Clayton Homes had that. When we went up to the place there in Dalton, their rep, Chris, went over everything he could to answer any questions. We found a home that we really loved and it was one of the nice ones on the front of the lot. But with the bedrooms on the left side, the master was going to be mine and my husband's, but we needed more space on one side. So we added on an extra bedroom, then we combined two of those bedrooms and made a large master bedroom for my mother that was to live with us. Chris helped us with that.

Then, we paid our down payment so they would get started and it took them a while to make our home. It was on my birthday, in May, that it arrived to the store for us to go look at it. So the process started from the end of November all the way to May. But that was understandable with the COVID virus slowing everything down. Then for Christmas, they closed for two weeks, which we knew about beforehand. So the process took a little longer than we thought but our expectations may not have been realistic given today's circumstances with the virus.

So we went and looked at the home that they made in May, then it was June 1st that it was delivered on our property. After that, it was end September when we moved in and a lot of that was due to a lot of rain we were having, so it was hard to get things quickly. There were also a few times when I felt like the communication with Clayton's reps could have been better. But as a new person doing something like that, I was just a little insecure.

So far, we're very happy with the home and it feels like a solid one. We've been through one really bad storm, the effects of that last hurricane, and we were nervous because it was our first storm in it. Fortunately, the home's out in the field and the woods are backed off from us, so we didn't have to worry about trees falling on us. But we were nervous because the winds got pretty hard for Georgia. Still, we didn't feel like we needed to leave and go get somewhere safer. The home held up really good and there was no damage to it at all. The air conditioning and the heat seem to be really efficient, too. I'm happy with our electric bill. It went up a little this past month, but that's because it's been so cold. But the home seems to be very comfortable and a cozy place. It’s such a pretty home and it has the little built-in front porch on it with the stones on the column. We get a lot of compliments on it.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, Robin. We are so glad that you were able to build your dream home!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

The home is a lot better than what I had. The quality is great, so far. I'm pretty satisfied. I had great service with everybody.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2021

Everything went pretty smoothly. The sales staff was helpful. There was some stuff that would have been nice, though, if we were able to upgrade some amenities to the house. But we're unable to do much. One of the things that were weird was that we didn't get to pick the tile for the shower in the master bathroom. Clayton just put some random tile on it. But overall, we're satisfied with our purchase.

We were having an issue with the second bath’s shower drain and the techs had to make three trips out there to figure out the issue and fix it. During the third time, they had to cut Sheetrock, open up the wall behind the tub, and do something to the drain line. Then they had to repair the Sheetrock. They had to send someone else to do the Sheetrock repair. It’s filled up now.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

The rep was nice and he was there when I needed him or when I called. Also, he always called back. I love the home. Everything was good overall.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

The whole process went very smoothly with Alyssa. We really love the home. But I have issues with the foundation work because we already have a shifting house. We’ve only been in here for six months. But I was told that they don't do any of that.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

Clayton offered us a better deal and they were very helpful during the process. They answered all my questions. If I called and they weren't available, they called me back as soon as they were. For a mobile home, it’s good quality.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much, Audra! We are so happy that you chose Clayton Homes for your homebuying needs.

Clayton Homes Company Information