4.73/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Gateway was founded in 2000 and has grown to become one of the largest privately held mortgage companies in the country. Although much of Gateway’s success can be traced to key milestones and the team members who made them happen, it all comes back to maintaining our sights on a core set of values and purpose. We call this Our Vision.

Gateway’s Core Purpose is to originate and service home loans. We do this in lockstep with our Passion to Strengthen Families. Not just the 100,000+ customers who use our mortgage services each year, but also the families of our dedicated team members, our industry partners, and the other citizens of the countless communities we serve around the country. Gateway Team Members believe that one of our great responsibilities is not only to empower the American Dream of home ownership, but also to make a positive impact on our communities and the people who need help. We invite you to read more about how Gateway Gives Back.

Finally, when you choose Gateway, you can expect to find a company that has a tradition of success but stays true to its roots. Although we have been recognized multiple times by independent third parties for our growth and culture, you can count on a local, caring mortgage professional who is committed to you, your family, your home—and your community.

View More View More

160 Gateway Mortgage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 20, 2019

We were purchasing a home and needed the financing, and a friend of ours recommended someone from Gateway Mortgage Group. We provided financial information and the process was simple and easy. The people that we worked with were very helpful and gave me any help I needed as far as just not knowing how to do anything. They were also helpful as far as pointing me in the right direction. The whole application to closing process took less than 30 days. I had more than 20% to put down, so it didn’t take too long. I would definitely recommend Gateway, specifically Matt, the loan officer that helped me. I received great service and I appreciated the help.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Chris ** here in Omaha, NE was very thorough and detailed oriented from day one. She explained everything very well and was quick to response our inquiries. Even with increasing rates, she got us very good rate. Overall great experience and definitely recommend her.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Need to bring back option of biweekly payments. Makes it easier for customers now. I had to find a new way to make payments. Otherwise I have no other complaints. Everything else has been fine recently. Did a refinance and all involved were very helpful.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I received a correspondence from Gateway and I got a loan with them for a new home. I liked the overall interest rate and everything about the deal that they offered. Also, Josh, the rep I worked with, was fantastic. He contacted me and had to ability to make everything so I could understand it. The process was pretty easy and standard, too. From start to finish, the application and closing were completed in less than 30 days.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Had an excellent experience with Todd ** at Gateway Mortgage Group in buying my first home... Was a newbie and he walked me through everything and was professional and extremely knowledgeable. I would highly recommend Gateway Mortgage Group to anyone seeking a high end experience. I feel truly grateful to Todd for making my first experience such a great one. Thank you again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gateway Mortgage?

Original review: March 8, 2019

Excellent customer service and support from Chris ** and his team in Norman, Oklahoma!! Our experience with Gateway Mortgage and the title company were top notch. Gateway's email follow-up and support through the process are one of the best we have seen.

Original review: March 8, 2019

We had worked with a large mortgage company for over 5 months. We always got the runaround when we called with questions, never got straight answers and never knew who to talk to about what. We found a house we loved and wanted to make an offer and the company told us we weren't ready. We reached out to Don at Gateway Mortgage Company after being refers by our real estate agent, Jessica **, and he made it possible for us to make an offer THE NEXT DAY. He was professional and prompt throughout the whole process and we wish we would have found him sooner. The whole staff was great to work with and always answered our questions right when we asked.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Applying for a loan with Gateway Mortgage involved a lot of steps but it was easy. We did the application online. There were a lot of signings of documents but they handled most of it. They told us where to cross t’s and dot the i’s. We mainly worked with Brittney and then Jill and they were both great. They were very helpful. If we had any question, there was somebody there to answer whenever we needed it. We had so many questions but they didn’t hesitate. They answered the phone quickly and we were able to speak to them if we needed to. I would highly recommend Gateway Mortgage.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I’m totally satisfied with Gateway Mortgage, Mr. Ken ** was very helpful, informative, an pleasing to work with. This loan will get me going on the right path to improving my home. Thank you so much, I will recommend Gateway Mortgage to all my friends.

Original review: March 7, 2019

All I can say is OMG! Gateway Mortgage and our agent, Ken ** was the best! Ken let us know step by step what was going to happen and what we should expect. There were no surprises. Buying groceries is sometimes a worse experience than getting our mortgage done through Gateway. I would recommend Gateway Mortgage to anyone! Especially their agent, Ken **! Thank you again for making this transaction so easy and painless for us. Customer Service at its BEST!

Original review: March 7, 2019

We purchased investment properties and I’ve used Grant before, so when we were buying a house, we applied for a mortgage with Gateway. Grant is the guy that always does my stuff. He’s very knowledgeable and he keeps me updated on everything that’s going on. It has always been a very smooth process, and the amount of time that it takes is reasonable. It's four weeks or so, just like with everybody else. The process of obtaining the mortgage was really easy for me because my guy already has all my information from my previous purchases. Gateway does really well or I wouldn’t keep them.

Original review: March 6, 2019

The team at Gateway lead by Peter ** was absolutely amazing in providing accurate and timely information, guidance and overall professional services. Mr. ** assistance is priceless as he goes above and beyond to ensure the best for his clients. We closed on a new home in 28 days without any issues and completely satisfied with our Lander. Thank you.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I’m so pleased with Steve ** and Jennifer **. They made the process so easy they were there to help answer all my questions and gather the information to process the loan. I cannot say enough for both of them. They are great!!! I would recommend them and Gateway Mortgage to anyone seeking a lender. Thank you so much???

Original review: March 6, 2019

All areas were clear. No hidden charges. Mrs. ** was spot on. She kept my faith with this refinance. I was working with LLC cheats, and Quicken Loans again another loser company. I will always spread the word using Gateway. Great company. They tell it like it is. Thank you Gateway.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Brooke and Mary made the process as painless as possible! They helped so much. And very quickly at that. We got most of our loan process done from my desk at my home and my office. Any questions I had were quickly answered. I have already recommended many of my friends to them! Any future business I have to do will definitely be done with them!

Original review: March 6, 2019

Julie was exceptionally helpful through this whole process. She was very knowledgeable regarding our request for a VA loan and was able to get things done. It was very much appreciated. I would have no problem recommending Gateway and Julie to anyone who would be in the market for a new home.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Kris really cares about his clients experience and communicates well to ensure an extremely smooth and stress free loan process. The document upload website was easy to use and very helpful with organizing and uploading documents as you gather them.

Original review: March 6, 2019

It was our first time buying a home and Aaron made things very simple and smooth. He was able to answer all questions and concerns we had with buying a home with confidence. I will be recommending him and Gateway Mortgage to all my friends and family.

Original review: March 6, 2019

The staff at Gateway mortgage are easy to work with. They will help you with your home loan needs. Their team went above to get all my documents for processing and the process was pretty fast. I’m satisfied with their service.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Easiest transaction we have ever had! Shayne was awesome to work with!! Always available to answer any questions and made the whole experience actually enjoyable. We will definitely use Gateway again and recommend Gateway and Shayne to anyone that we know looking for a lender. They were ready to close in under three weeks and we could not have been happier!!

Original review: March 6, 2019

I needed to buy a house, and Gateway came recommended to me. I applied for a mortgage, and the reps were great. Working with Gateway has impacted my life positively, and I’m in the house now. Gateway should keep doing what they're doing.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I was tired of paying rent and so I applied for a mortgage. I was referred to Gateway Mortgage by one of my customers. And I went online and applied. However, there was a glitch in the system because I uploaded all my docs and then when they called me to tell me that I was approved, they still asked me to resend all of the docs. But that was not a big deal. The process was fine. I worked with Katie and she was good, too. She got everything done and handled in a timely manner. I own a home now and I would recommend Gateway to others.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I went to the Washington loan class and the guy from Gateway was really helpful, so I went with him. He was very responsive and he answered me when I needed assistance or questions. I got a lot of pushback from the processor though, and I didn’t like that. I’m personally in the business, so I know how things run, and so there were just certain things in that aspect where I know we could have pushed through. And we had to sit and wait at last minute, and that was from the advice of the processor. I told the loan officer to push it through anyway, and we did, and then we finally got an approval, but we had to sit for a week on it. The process took a month and half. It was longer than it should have. But overall, it was a good experience.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I was in contact with Gateway because my agent, the one that was helping me to find the house, recommended them. I was checking three options and finally, I decide to go with them because I was comparing by their interests and dealings. The process was really straightforward because I got the preapproval from them, giving them all the information. After that, they gave me a report on all the aspects. It was really quick and simple. I was talking with Ric all the time and they were really communicative. We met in a coffee shop and he gave me a lot of information and replied to my questions. After that, we had some phone conversations. It was a pleasure working with them.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

We went through a conventional loan with Gateway. It was for a new home purchase and my realtor recommended them. Obtaining the mortgage was very easy and our lending agent, Brooke, made everything simple over email. I was able to print everything that I needed to get a hard signature off and just gave it to her. It was pretty effortless on my part.

All requirements were clearly stated and the application process was seamless. I had never gone through that process before, so Brooke really helped us walk through every step with a lot of information and put it in layman’s terms. She really made it super easy and stress-free. And I really enjoy my experience with her. It took a little under a month from the time that we started the process to when we closed on the house. That was the timeline that we both agreed on through my finances. It could have even been shorter than that, but I needed it to be a little bit that length. We are in our first house and that's very exciting. We wouldn't have been able to do that without Gateway and I would definitely recommend them to anybody.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Gateway's online application process was really simple, clear-cut and easy. Jeff was a very energetic young man, and he was the only person I've really dealt with at Gateway. When someone talks to you, you can tell if they're trying to sell a bill of goods, but that wasn’t the case for him. He was really good and very professional, and he followed up. The office is right at the border between Boise and Meridian. But we closed in a town called Mountain Home, which is about 55 miles away, and Jeff came down to the closing in case we had any questions. That was service right there.

The process took two months tops from beginning to end, and that was because of the availability of the seller to close. This is the sixth house that I've purchased, and working with Gateway was probably one of the better experiences I've had. The only detractor I have is that I get an awful lot of mail from them. It could be just me where maybe I did not opt to receive all the notifications electronically instead of paper copies. But if I care enough, I'll research that and get that changed over. Still, I would definitely recommend for people to go through Gateway.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I know a couple of people who went through Gateway Mortgage Group. They said Gateway was good. I signed up with them and it was for a new home purchase. The process was easy and straightforward. The rep, Todd, gave me all the information. He was nice and he answered all of my questions. He was also easy to get ahold of and if he didn’t answer, he'd call back after a day or two. The whole process took about a month to finish. Overall, it was easy to go on with everybody and they did all the work.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

Leslie was fantastic at ensuring I got a home loan! I had a few issues due to the past, and some hoops to jump through. Leslie was able to help me get things in order so we could move forward quickly. Thanks so much for helping me obtain my forever home!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

Gateway Mortgage Group was at the top of the mortgage list when I was buying a house so I applied a mortgage from them. Working with them was very nice. Their reps were absolutely first class. Everything went very smoothly.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

We were buying a new house and our realtor recommended Gateway Mortgage Group to us. We then got a 30-year fixed from them. It took two months from the day we applied to the day we closed on the house and I was very comfortable with the process.

Gateway Mortgage expert review by Michele Lerner

One of the largest privately held mortgage loan companies, the local branches of this mortgage loan company give their customers personalized attention. Use their digital loan tool that walks you through every step of the mortgage loan application process.

• Local experts: Get a home loan from a local branch that delivers personalized customer service and a home loan that fits your exact needs. There are nearly 200 branches nationwide.

• Mortgage calculator: Use Gateway Mortgage’s online mortgage calculator to help you determine what loan is most affordable for your needs.

• Choose your loan type: Gateway Mortgage services all types of home loans, including FHA, VA, Jumbo and Home Possible loans. Talk to your loan officer to determine what type of loan is best for your home.

• Refinance options: Gateway Mortgage also offers refinance options if you want to refinance your existing home loan to get a better rate and terms.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Gateway Mortgage Company Information