3.66/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Gateway was founded in 2000 and has grown to become one of the largest privately held mortgage companies in the country. Although much of Gateway’s success can be traced to key milestones and the team members who made them happen, it all comes back to maintaining our sights on a core set of values and purpose. We call this Our Vision.

Gateway’s Core Purpose is to originate and service home loans. We do this in lockstep with our Passion to Strengthen Families. Not just the 100,000+ customers who use our mortgage services each year, but also the families of our dedicated team members, our industry partners, and the other citizens of the countless communities we serve around the country. Gateway Team Members believe that one of our great responsibilities is not only to empower the American Dream of home ownership, but also to make a positive impact on our communities and the people who need help. We invite you to read more about how Gateway Gives Back.

Finally, when you choose Gateway, you can expect to find a company that has a tradition of success but stays true to its roots. Although we have been recognized multiple times by independent third parties for our growth and culture, you can count on a local, caring mortgage professional who is committed to you, your family, your home—and your community.

View More View More

70 Gateway Mortgage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

The Tom ** team in Edmond exceeded my expectations. This loan process went significantly smoother than my previous experience. The entire team is professional, responsive, and very helpful. Tom was more difficult to get ahold of, but I quickly learned that his team was able to provide everything I needed. I will definitely recommend Gateway to anyone I know who is in need of a lender.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Everyone at Gateway Mortgage was extremely helpful and extremely flexible during the purchase process of our new home! Special thanks to **! We were informed and assisted with every step of the process and having the flexibility to communicate via phone, text, email, and in-person to complete the process was great! As a first time home buyer I can't imagine the process getting easier than the staff at Gateway Mortgage made it. Thank you!!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

This team at Gateway did what no one else has done for me. From notification I was purchasing to completion took roughly 3 weeks and mind you this was during the Christmas time frame. I had briefings every other day if not every day to keep me on top of everything going on. No other bank I have worked with and there have been a few, has come anywhere close to this kind of service. The rates were very competitive and the service was second to none. They will always be my first call and as long as nothing changes, my last. I have already started recommending personal friends to them and I will tell everyone that needs loan assistance you need to call them first. After that call, make two more calls to competitors, sit back and see that what I'm telling you isn't true. These are just the numbers, wait till see their customer service in action.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Their service is simply outstanding. They are second to none. I was pushed to close in 25 days by the seller, and Gateway closed me in 21 days. This was around Christmas time with all the holidays. They came through.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Fast, friendly and easily the most simple loan experience I've ever been a part of in my life. Michael, Jessica and Harlie seem like friends to me now and I will go nowhere else for my banking and loan needs in the future.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gateway Mortgage?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Nothing but positive things to say about Ronae **, her team and Gateway Mortgage. They are incredibly knowledgeable and helpful throughout the entire loan process. Not once did I feel I was being mislead or given bad advice. I walked away with a loan I was happy with. I would highly recommend Gateway Mortgage Group and will definitely use Ronae again. Experienced & Resourceful - They Are The Whole Package.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Dorothy ** at Gateway Mortgage helped me to buy my dream house!! She was knowledgeable and quick to respond to my many questions regarding the paperwork and the entire process. When I first spoke to her on the phone, she was friendly and helpful and within a day I had my preapproval to find my house! I couldn't be happier with how it all went and am now living in "my happy place" thanks to Dorothy and Gateway Mortgage!!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

They made the process easy and make you feel like a priority. It was very easy to get a hold of someone whenever I had any questions. They made every step of the process easy and understandable. If I move again I will use them again.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Our mortgage broker Todd was wonderful to work with. He went above and beyond to help us get all the items we needed to close on our home. He was very pleasant to work with and kept us informed at every step.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Decent experience with rates above other competitors. We closed this loan even though we found lower rates because we were halfway through the process and did not want to delay our progress. We have 2 more homes to refi in the next 60 days and will give Gateway a chance to compete for them but whoever can complete the loan for the best price will get the deal.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I absolutely love Ms. **, she's amazing and Connie was awesome as well. She is a gem and makes you feel so comfortable. She is truly a blessing and made good on every promise. I would definitely recommend her to friends looking for lending services.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Issac was great. Would highly recommend to anyone looking to buy a house in the area. Made is as pain free as possible for buying a house. He made himself available 24/7 for questions and worked hard to get us the closing date we needed.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Brad was extremely helpful in guiding us through our first mortgage. My wife and I are very grateful to have found Gateway and their knowledge of how the 203k loan process works. We highly recommend Gateway to anyone looking for a mortgage.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

We just purchased a home through Gateway and we couldn’t have been more pleased! We had to do a loan for repairs also and the whole process has been smooth! Getting funded and getting our contractor his money has been the easiest thing to do!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

As a small business owner, I thought a self-employed mortgage was going to be a nightmare, but it was just the opposite. Louis and his team made this such a smooth transaction with no stress or worries. They are very knowledgeable and made sure I understood the process. Highly recommend.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Working with Dorothy ** was a great pleasure. My confidence in her was almost immediate. At her initial consultation, she was upfront, realistic and explained the process thoroughly. She answered every question that I had which showcased her knowledge of the mortgage and home buying process. At a point when I became doubtful of whether or not to move forward with the process, Dorothy remained positive and exhausted every option on my behalf which I am grateful for. Dorothy was responsive and timely also. Something that both my realtor and I appreciated! To sum it up, Dorothy was an extreme asset to the team that supported me with purchasing my first home. I am truly thankful and appreciative of her commitment and will recommend her to everyone!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

From start to finish, Ben at Gateway Mortgage, made my first time buying a house experience not only exciting, but rather easy as well. I would recommend his services and the companies services to my closest friends and family. Will definitely use them again if/when we sell our house!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

My contract was sold to Gateway and when I started my payments they were a little over $100 cheaper. I called and asked why my payments were cheaper. They told me that they were giving me a better deal. I called and asked again why the difference and I got the same story. At the beginning of year two I was told I had not been paying enough so they were having to make my mortgage payment larger. I was a single mother on a very fixed income. I struggled with making the payments but made them. Fast forward to 2016 I ended up unemployed and tried like hell to get them to work with me on making a hardship package. They denied me every time. I was finally able to get a job but not before filing bankruptcy to keep my home.

I have paid over $26,000 to bankruptcy court. Other than attorney fees the money goes to Gateway yet I am magically still behind. My bankruptcy payment started out at around $1000. It is now at $1500 EVERY month because they keep adding fees to my case. I am now facing dismissal of bankruptcy because I CANNOT afford $1500 payments every month. I have been trying for two months now to do another hardship package and somehow they never get my emails until I email them multiple times then they ask why I emailed them so much.

They would not tell me what documentation I needed to send because it was considered coaching. I am once again having to send more documentation. I am so done with this crappy company. I'm to the point of letting my home go just to get out from under them. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM, THEY ALWAYS FIND A WAY TO SCREW YOU OVER with fees or changes with your mortgage payment amounts. This has been pure hell!!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

After my mortgage was transferred to Gateway, they changed the terms of my contract so that they use any extra money I pay on my principal to earn interest for the company while denying me the right to pay my mortgage down faster! I would have thought that was illegal, but apparently not. Stitt is running for governor...

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Our issues started when we were supplying the original documents Gateway needed. We would email them documents and they said they never got them and would have to send them 3-4 times. Once the loan was established and we started making payments the 1st 3-4 went through ok, then we had to stop a check through the bank because it went to the wrong P.O. Box that they gave me.

Then we started getting charged for insufficient funds charges and returned check charges and got the bank involved because the funds were available and only 1 payment had been stopped and it was immediately re-issued to Gateway. I am still trying to get those charges dropped. When calling in it to talk to someone you're always on hold or they drop your call when it gets time to talk with a manager who can do something. Gateway MORTGAGE is the WORST Company we've ever dealt with.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I have been trying to get my home reappraised to take the PMI off of my loan. Pretty simple right? After multiple calls and conversations I was quoted $325 & $425 for the reappraisal fee, either fee is fine just get it correct. Second I called to start the reappraisal process and the representative then says "ok I'm ready for the account and routing number when you are." I ask "do you not accept and credit or debit card for the payment fee?" "No sir we do not." "Can I go online and pay the fee?" "Let me check."

After about 10 minutes of waiting "you can make the payment online through your online portal with a debit card, however when you make that payment you need to be on the phone with a representative so that we can submit a ticket and ensure the payment is credited for the right item." WHAT A JOKE!! I told the rep at that time "they don't make it easy do they?" He agreed. PMI is a joke to begin with and I'm trying to get rid of it as my home will appraise for well over the required amount needed to remove it. My complaint is really the fact that of all the calls prior to understand what is required no one ever said you can only pay the appraisal fee with an account and routing number over the phone or a debit card online with a rep on the phone. WHAT A JOKE!!! If you have the option do not do business with this company. They have been nothing but a headache from day one!!!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Addition principal not posted to mortgage balance. They posted it unapplied. Having to phone Gateway custom care every other months and monthly about check not posted. I wish they would sell my loan. I sick and tired of Gateway. I pay auto draft on mortgage monthly. No problem there. Problem when I mailed check addition amount to mortgage balance. I wouldn't recommend if you can help it. My loan was sold to them. I had no choice. 10 Sep 2018 $560.56 Unapplied Amount. 09 Sep 2018 $560.56 Payment.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I would never recommend assuming an existing loan. It took 4 months and Ron ** was assigned the account and would not return emails and had a full voicemail and would not answer phone calls so we were stuck wondering how it was progressing. I was told sent to underwriters a month before I was. Now it finally closed and got email I still owe debt and late charge because they have not completed paperwork to change name on loan. Never ever use Gateway for assumption process.

Original review: June 19, 2018

This company cost me $800! And no house. When you go to get pre-approved for a mortgage, you generally get something that says you are good for this much funding to buy. So you then go looking. We never got anything from Gateway other than a verbal good for around 80k. So on that we (I and my Realtor) went looking. All the while sending documents and other information as requested to Gateway so they can process loan paperwork... "Yes; you are good to go Mr **..." Got that a lot of times. We found a house. Put earnest money on it and paid to have it inspected. We're set to target closing date. Get calls back from Gateway saying that they could not get our application through Underwriting. This was supposed to be done already. Liars, Deceptive practices. I would recommend NOT doing business with these people and find someone who does not have this history. Apparently they do this a lot.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Worst experience I've ever had, I pay my mortgage to only have them to tell me they didn't receive it. When I send them proof they say they will investigate it and then tell me I'm behind so I started a year ago sending payment with certified check and certified mail. Been paying over $5000 a month to "get caught up" because they still can't find my payments that I showed bank statement proof. I finally get "caught up" and now they started sending my payments back and telling me I'm behind, well I guess so if you don't accept my payment then I guess I would be never had an experience so difficult to make payments on.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I've never experienced a company that makes it so difficult to give them money, and when you can get logged in you'll be charged a service fee to make your payment. I think these folks are a bunch a crooks. I didn't choose this lender as my original lender sold my mortgage to them. I'm hoping Gateway sells this note or I sell my house to get away from them.

Original review: May 7, 2018

These people have totally wrecked what was working perfectly fine. Now it is impossible to log in without contacting the unhelpful representatives. So labor intensive just to pay a stupid bill. So mismanaged! And this guy wants to be governor? Right.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I have tried unsuccessfully for three days to log onto the Gateway system. I keep getting an error message that just says "try again" with no clue of what is incorrect. I finally called customer service today and after waiting on hold for 10 minutes while one recorded message interrupted another almost constantly spoke with a customer service representative. She said the system had been changed on March 20 and I needed to register again. I did that and got the same message. I shortened and weakened the password I wanted to use because the Gateway system does not allow any special character. I tried four times while I was on the phone with the woman.

I asked if there was someone I could talk to for technical support. The answer was "no". Gateway claims to "win customers for life". I regret the day I took out my mortgage with them 3 years ago -- the example today is just one more in a string -- a long string -- of examples of the reality that all Gateway cares about is Gateway and their customer service does not serve the customer. If it did not mean thousands of dollars in closing costs I would change mortgage lenders in a heartbeat. If you have not signed up with them yet my advise is to RUN as fast as you can to some other lender.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I have asked them and asked them to stop bothering me... Random phone calls to "check in". They even felt it necessary to send me a birth announcement when the local manager had a kid. They arbitrarily raised my escrow only to adjust it back and the whole loan process was a real pain. You will be much better served by ANYONE else.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

This is not a reputable company. Check the reviews. They said they could do a deal and couldn't. I would strongly recommend against doing any business with them. I sure wouldn't vote for their CEO of for the next Oklahoma governor.

Gateway Mortgage expert review by Michele Lerner

One of the largest privately held mortgage loan companies, the local branches of this mortgage loan company give their customers personalized attention. Use their digital loan tool that walks you through every step of the mortgage loan application process.

• Local experts: Get a home loan from a local branch that delivers personalized customer service and a home loan that fits your exact needs. There are nearly 200 branches nationwide.

• Mortgage calculator: Use Gateway Mortgage’s online mortgage calculator to help you determine what loan is most affordable for your needs.

• Choose your loan type: Gateway Mortgage services all types of home loans, including FHA, VA, Jumbo and Home Possible loans. Talk to your loan officer to determine what type of loan is best for your home.

• Refinance options: Gateway Mortgage also offers refinance options if you want to refinance your existing home loan to get a better rate and terms.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Gateway Mortgage Company Information