2. Mortgages

Gateway First Bank

Gateway First Bank
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.17/5

Gateway Mortgage Group is a mortgage provider that’s available in select states across the nation. It offers a wide variety of mortgage types, and its Lock & Shop program lets you lock in your interest rates. It’s a division of Gateway First Bank, and its website includes some helpful resources and loan calculators.

Gateway First Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gateway First Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gateway Mortgage?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

To whom it may concern,

I thoroughly enjoyed working with Tom ** and his team in Edmond, OK. They were the only mortgage company open the day after the 4th of July. We moved from Ardmore to Edmond, and we were so appreciative of how Tom and his team treated us. They were ready to help, easy to work with and very professional. I have and I will continue to recommend them.

Sincerely,

Micah

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

Cody is the best loan officer I have ever used! If you want a responsive, friendly, and open transaction he is your guy. He got me the best rates, stayed in contact as to the best timing for locking in my rates, and kept me posted at every step along the way. He is so easy to work with and you feel right at home with him from the moment you meet him. I recommend him wholeheartedly to everyone I know who's in the market. I will be buying an investment property in the near future and you can be sure Cody will be who I go to.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Jenn ** was and is the most professional person that I have every worked with. She went out of her way many times to help and resolve all of our questions and concerns, provided a superior quality of of service. She is a topnotch employee and should be commended for what she does for your company. I am so glad that I had the experience to work with Gateway. Thanks Jenn!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Victor ** served as my Loan Officer and did an outstanding job in listening to my refinancing requirements and delivering top notch service every step of the way throughout the entire process. I was truly pleased with the short amount of time we were able to accomplish everything and close in the time frame we agreed upon. Best experience I've had with a mortgage company by far.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

It was real smooth experience on buying my first home through a lender. Everybody stayed in contact and kept me updated, and helped me and answered any question that I had. They process was simple and quick. I would used this company in the future and would recommend to family and friends. They made it possible for my family to enjoy our new home.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

We could not be happier with the care and attentiveness that our mortgage team has provided. We are first time home buyers and are truly impressed by the service we received. Would not recommend anyone else. Thank you Marcia ** and Marcy **, Grand Prairie office.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

My homeowner's ins. is paid by Gateway Mortgage. It was cancelled 3 times for not being paid on time. Got it started back up and they paid it 3 times in a 4 month period . Gateway says not their fault, ins fault. Ins. says Gateways fault. Both tell me to fix it. I had nothing to do with this, but Gateway has raised my payment by $130.00 a month so they can get the money back that they (not me) overpaid. I put my home up for sale to get away from them. I would never tell anyone to do business with them. I was never allowed to talk to anyone but the person who answered the phone. C S in Warsaw Mo.

Resolution response: Aug. 7, 2020

I did get a callback from the company and they resolved my issue. Giving us our late fee back along with not reporting our credit rating. We also got an apology from the lender. It was all very much appreciated and in a timely manner.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH GATEWAY! Horrible experience! My wife and I called Jeff **'s team to do a refi as we were with Gateway for our original mortgage. In between our refinance Jeff quit the company and went to Loan Depot, still kept us on as clients just never told us he left Gateway. We didn't find out until the middle of the refinance. He advised us to not make our July payment and request a payoff for the end of month. End of July comes and Jeff is no longer in the picture as he went back to Gateway Mortgage and we had to start all over.

We got a collection call about our July payment and that there is a late fee and it will hit our PERFECT credit. Never have we been late on a payment. We made the payment right away and asked that they reverse the credit ding since it was their employee who told us to skip the payment. They said absolutely not and said they will have a manager call me back in 48 hours... Still have not heard from anyone. Don't get fooled like we did thinking this is a good honest company. They don't care about you and will not try and help you out. During a Pandemic, you would think this company could accommodate on a mistake that THEIR employee made and reverse the credit report, but no - they don't care. Make sure you read all the 1 star reviews before making your decision - there is a clear trend in them. We are having much better luck with LoanDepot.

Original review: April 9, 2020

Our experience with Gateway has been miserable. They have been horribly unprofessional and unreasonable with us concerning a payment discrepancy. We had a FICO score over 800 before Gateway implemented a change in our mortgage payment without ever providing so much as an email to inform us of the payment change. We had never, ever been late on a payment. Gateway provide NO proof of service that our payment was changing. Our automatic payment was submitted as scheduled, well in advance of the due date and Gateway did not credit the payment because it was not the full amount. When we contacted them to address the issue they were rude, disrespectful and flippant about the entire matter. After a year there has been no resolution. I would not recommend Gateway under any circumstance.

Original review: March 6, 2020

The company kept on charging PMI even after the 80% of value met. The insurance department did not drop the automatic deduction. Efforts to have them credit/refund the excess amount were fruitless. Appointment to talk to anyone was like an appointment to the moon. Pocketing un-earned money is not fair and I hope to get another mortgage company and stop doing business with a company which is not sincere and transparent. If they called, then it was "ExACTLY WHEN I HAD INFORMED THEM THAT I WAS AT WORK AND CANT TALK ABOUT MY PERSONAL MATTERS". I had a very dry customer service experience and counted as just a number to them.

Gateway Mortgage author review by Michele Lerner

One of the largest privately held mortgage loan companies, the local branches of this mortgage loan company give their customers personalized attention. Use their digital loan tool that walks you through every step of the mortgage loan application process.

• Local experts: Get a home loan from a local branch that delivers personalized customer service and a home loan that fits your exact needs. There are nearly 200 branches nationwide.

• Mortgage calculator: Use Gateway Mortgage’s online mortgage calculator to help you determine what loan is most affordable for your needs.

• Choose your loan type: Gateway Mortgage services all types of home loans, including FHA, VA, Jumbo and Home Possible loans. Talk to your loan officer to determine what type of loan is best for your home.

• Refinance options: Gateway Mortgage also offers refinance options if you want to refinance your existing home loan to get a better rate and terms.

by Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Gateway First Bank Company Information