4.70/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Gateway was founded in 2000 and has grown to become one of the largest privately held mortgage companies in the country. Although much of Gateway’s success can be traced to key milestones and the team members who made them happen, it all comes back to maintaining our sights on a core set of values and purpose. We call this Our Vision.

Gateway’s Core Purpose is to originate and service home loans. We do this in lockstep with our Passion to Strengthen Families. Not just the 100,000+ customers who use our mortgage services each year, but also the families of our dedicated team members, our industry partners, and the other citizens of the countless communities we serve around the country. Gateway Team Members believe that one of our great responsibilities is not only to empower the American Dream of home ownership, but also to make a positive impact on our communities and the people who need help. We invite you to read more about how Gateway Gives Back.

Finally, when you choose Gateway, you can expect to find a company that has a tradition of success but stays true to its roots. Although we have been recognized multiple times by independent third parties for our growth and culture, you can count on a local, caring mortgage professional who is committed to you, your family, your home—and your community.

View More View More

198 Gateway Mortgage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 17, 2019

Our real estate agent referred us to Gateway Mortgage to buy our house and we applied for a first-time homebuyers loan with them. At the time, we kinda looked around a little bit and they had the best rate as well as the lowest interest that we could find that would go with us. Our loan officer, Josh, told us that the process was gonna be really easy and for the first couple of weeks, it was. We just took all of our paperwork and information up there and gave it to them. Then, he ran through the numbers with us and told us what to expect for our payments and how long it would take. He would sit down and explain things to us. He was great and he helped us a lot.

But after a while, I kinda got a little bit disappointed with them because we would take on information and instead of telling us what else we needed at that moment, they would wait two weeks before telling us what they needed to the point where we almost ended up having to push our closing date back because they forgot some of the paperwork. But now, we've got it all settled and it worked out. Everything's good but we had to be on top of things.

Other than that, I like the online application process. It was easy for us to read through their website and it laid things out for us that we could understand the process without having to talk to anybody about it. But the application and underwriting process ended up taking two months and it would have been better if they would have been more on top of things. Communication was a big thing like letting us know what all we needed to have before the day it was due. All in all, it has been an experience but I'm glad that Josh was there. They were all there for us going through all that we went through, so I would use them again.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I am a veteran and I wanted to take advantage of the VA home loan to purchase my first house. My co-worker went through Gateway Mortgage to get her home loan in this area and she said that it was good. Although the application was a bit stressful, it was nothing that was so overwhelming. There were a couple of times where it was a little disturbing because I was told that it might take weeks but I called the other side where the underwriters were waiting for documentation and I got it expedited. It only took a week and Gateway definitely helped along with providing me phone numbers to call for verification, what kind of forms that they needed and documentation.

The VA home loan is a little more particular as far as the underwriting, so they had a weekly update in the beginning and as we got closer and closer to closing, they worked with me almost on an everyday basis, which was cool. An itemized list of forms, paperwork and documentation should have been provided at the beginning though to make it easier for me because then I could've been more prepared on who I was gonna call and what I was gonna get. But it was still done in a really timely fashion. Gateway Mortgage was phenomenal. It was a stressful time and there were pages and pages of paperwork but the fact that they would take my phone calls and they would respond with me via text messages when I was at work was handy. If I'm not at my phone, I don't have to try to find the time to listen to a voicemail. I'm able to look at a text message quickly and then respond accordingly. That was above and beyond.

The company’s reps were personable, super professional and they have a nice building. The rep I worked with, Aaron, took the time to call me and discuss my loan process before it was even at the underwriting process when he was out-of-town on a personal matter. At first, I felt bad when he mentioned that but he told me that it was totally fine. He also would contact me on a Sunday which was amazing. I'd recommend Gateway Mortgage to friends and families. Working with this company got me in a house and I'm a homeowner now.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I came across Gateway Mortgage through our realtor. She highly recommended them and Mike, whom she just worked with in the past. She highly suggested him, so we went with him, and everything was awesome. He did a great job explaining everything and walking us through the whole process. He expedited it for us because we were on a bit of a timeline.

We did a conventional loan program. We just had to set up some initial info and do the credit check. One of the coolest parts for me was that it was all digital, so I didn’t have to fax in anything. I could just upload it to the portal that they have and it ended up linking bank accounts. One of the things that we’ve done in previous loans was I would print out a bank statement, then a couple of months later, the same people would come back and say that they need the bank statement. It got super repetitive and annoying, but I didn’t have to do any of that with Gateway. They were on top of it all and the portal really helped out. It was the smoothest mortgage process that I have ever been a part of

The loan officer rode that balance between being super helpful and being super annoying and pressing like, “Hey, just touching base, touching base.” I didn’t get a million and a half emails, but he was always available when I had a question. Anytime he needed to do some digging, he got back to me within a super short period of time. It was very evident that anytime he needed to dig for something, it wasn’t like, “Yeah, I’ll definitely dig for that,” and then I had to track him down a week and a half later. He was very obvious and he would say he was gonna get it done, and he did it in a very timely manner. He was super polite and was a really nice guy. He was very knowledgeable about what it was that he was doing. I couldn’t recommend him more.

I would tell others to consider going through Gateway for a loan. They handled everything very well and very professionally. This is the third loan that we’ve done. The first one we did was with a little branch in a small town that we lived in and the most recent one that we did in North Carolina was with Wells Fargo, and it was a freaking nightmare. Gateway blew my mind. I never realized that a mortgage loan process could be as easy as it was until we went with them. I would tell somebody, “110%, go with them.” I’ve already referred Mike to a couple of friends in the DFW area that are looking to buy a home as well.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

We had a lot of bills. At the time, we were doing some changes with our finances and thinking about buying another house. We decided to apply for a loan and I was gonna refinance with the company that already held our mortgage, but they weren't giving me any information and were sidestepping. I knew that the price was gonna go up. My real estate agent then referred me to Aaron from Gateway Mortgage Group and we decided to get a 30-year fixed loan.

We got to go to Gateway's office and do things in person, which I really liked. There, we sat down with Aaron and got things going. The application was alright and I appreciated how it was set up. However, I didn't like that Aaron asked for a lot of personal information that I felt wasn't necessary. I was a little upset with that, but I was prepared. I took in everything that I had experienced from other refinances that we had done in the past. I was also a little uncomfortable because I didn't know Aaron. But in the end, we conformed and gave him the information. Aaron told me exactly what he was gonna do and I appreciated, respected and was impressed with his honesty. My comfort level then went up a lot.

The closing process, however, took too long, We closed on the 28th and that forced me into making my payment for January. Because of that, instead of having two months for free, I only got one. On March 1st, I have to make my first payment, and it's really putting a bind on me. But we're gonna go ahead, make it, and go from there. I also got a note from Gateway about an insurance policy where they'll make the payments and so forth in case something happens to either my wife or myself, whether it be a disability or whatever. I need that kind of insurance, so I'm gonna give them a call.

Everything worked out right and we paid off all of our bills except for the small ones, which we're working on right now. Our mortgage is a little high but I'm not worried about it. We'll make some other moves and hopefully, we can pay this loan off in 15 years. I wanted the 30-year fixed rate for my comfort level as we have a tight budget. Thus far, I've referred Gateway Mortgage Group to a couple of people. Check them out, you'll be happy.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I was buying a house and I started looking at several lenders and then I had to narrow it down to two. The biggest thing was Gateway's Kris' transparency. She was always there to answer questions and she felt honest. So, we went with them. The process of obtaining the mortgage is always a little bit of a pain but Kris was able to do most of it via email. There was only one time that I ever went to her office. And this was new construction, so it kinda dragged out over by eight months.

She made it very easy and she really worked to my time schedule. Also, she had our best interest. She was there to give us different options, look at different avenues, and determine what was the best program for it. There are always things in there that aren't exactly like you want but she was very forthcoming with it. She was 100% above board and transparent. And she always got back the next day. A lot of my correspondence was late at night when I would get home from work but I don't think I ever had a response that was more than 24 hours, so it was very responsive. I was more than happy with her.

The online application process was not what I expected. I've done this before. I'm in the auto industry, so I get a lot of loan applications. Obviously, the mortgage is more complex, but I thought it really was nice to not have to spend time sitting in an office and dragging paperwork in, so it was as simple as they could. With the actual application, I don't think I spent more than a half hour and until we closed it took eight months. The lending process was about what I expected and it went as well as we could. I have and will recommend Kris and Gateway.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gateway Mortgage?

Original review: May 15, 2019

We got a VA loan from Gateway Mortgage. We filled out the paperwork and talked with some people. Gateway was quick with helping us. Their customer service team emailed us and kept on top of our application. Kathy, the rep who helped us, kept us in the loop the whole time. She was very knowledgeable and told us what we needed to do.

Original review: May 14, 2019

The application process with Gateway was a little easier than most people explained it to be – with the complication and the headache. It was still mind-boggling but it was good. We were purchasing a new home and I was recommended to Gateway. Somebody gave me their number so I called and went from there. The process took maybe a month and a half.

Original review: May 12, 2019

A friend of mine in the banking business recommended Gateway to me. Applying with them was a good experience. It was very paperwork intensive. Much more so than I've heard from others. I was dealing with a government-owned home and that made the process much more paperwork heavy than usual. Still, their reps were there to step me through the process. Jill had to go out and get a little bit of education for me as this was the first time that she had done a mortgage on a government-owned home. She was willing to do it and really went above and beyond to make sure that she can pull out all the stops to make sure that we were doing everything correctly. Working with Gateway was a great experience overall. I am so thankful that my home ownership dream has become a reality they're an integral part of that.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I got an FHA from Gateway Mortgage when we needed a house. Their process was easier than other lenders and it was really simple. Their online application process is really good. Also, I called one of the ladies at Gateway and from there, she helped me out with everything. We did everything mostly through email, mostly and their response was very quick. When I had an important question, I’d call them. I had the perfect experience. Other people should go for Gateway.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Gateway's loan officer was awesome. He got all our questions answered within 24 hours. He and his team went out of their way to help us find the best mortgage for us. It was a great experience. I recommend them to anyone.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Getting a mortgage for my house through Gateway was easy and convenient. I spoke with their reps and felt comfortable with Thomas. He was very friendly, helpful, and responsive. The process took a couple of hours max. I emailed or called Gateway whenever I had questions and their reps responded prompty.

Original review: May 6, 2019

When we bought a lake house, we took a conventional loan from Gateway Mortgage. We were told by our Realtor that the loan officer, Todd, was very lowkey and that his office manager, Kathy, was very knowledgeable. When people refer me to someone and speak very glowingly of that someone, I tend to listen. And they were excellent to work with. The process of obtaining the mortgage was very easy. They spelled out exactly what we needed. Plus, according to my wife, a child could do Gateway's online application process. It's very easy to navigate and it's not like you had to do a lot of dropdowns.

I gave Kathy a hug at the loan closing. That was how much she was in contact with us when she needed to be. My wife is a school teacher and very hard to get ahold of her during the day. They worked with us so that everything would fit into our schedule. My wife and I both work during the week. They had the loan closing set up to be on Saturday and they allowed enough time for us to be able to drive from Kansas City down to where the closing was, about three hours away.

We had a wonderful experience with Gateway. It was, by far, the easiest home loan that we've ever had and we've purchased five homes now. We have our primary residence's home loan with another bank and we closed on that loan during the first part of July of 2018. It was the worst experience I've ever come across. Right now, I'm in the process of talking to Todd about possibly moving our home loan to Gateway. Working with them has restored my faith in a lending company. I would recommend them to anyone.

Original review: May 4, 2019

Original review: May 1, 2019

Gateway Mortgage financed my house originally so I chose them to refinance my home to get a lower interest rate and a lower payment. I did get my payment lowered and a lower interest rate but I was promised things that didn’t happen. My experience with them sucks. I was supposed to get March and April with no payments. Then, they sent me a statement saying that I owed nothing in April, but it was for my old loan. They called me last week and said that I was delinquent on a payment. I told them I got a bill from them saying that I don’t owe anything for April. They said they will have to check on it but when I called, they did not call me back.

By the time I got ahold of them, I figured out there was something wrong because I had two bills with different account numbers. I told them that it was their problem. I was told to send them the piece of paper which I did but I still never heard anything from them. So, I had to make last month’s payment and this month’s payment within a week period. I was not happy at all. This happened last week and they never called me back. I even had the guy’s name and left a message. I talked to this girl who said that there was nothing they could do. They sent me the bill and there’s gotta be something they could do. When I get a bill, I look at it but I do not have account numbers memorized. I asked the rep if I gotta make a payment to which she replied that they will waive the late fees which were 28 bucks.

So, I gotta come up with two grand in five days and that ain’t right. They wouldn’t call me back and wouldn’t work with me. So, I had to take money out of my savings account to make two payments. I did it less the late fee because I sure wouldn’t gonna pay it except if they sent me something that said I didn’t owe any money anyway. I’m not happy with the closing because I was supposed to get $1,700 back on closing. It was what the agent told me but I got 1,000 back. I got one month with no payments because the paperwork ran too long in February, so I had to pay February coming up to March. So, I missed out of one free month’s. It was what was promised, but it wasn’t on the contract. They are going by the contract.

I told them that they all need to make sure that when they are doing a loan refinance, I don’t send anything out with the old loan up as it is dead long before they sent me the bill. So, why did they send me a bill for zero on my old loan number? I thought it was the new loan because I was due for two months. I’m not happy with Gateway at all and I’ll get away from them as soon as I get the opportunity. I told them that I’m gonna go somewhere and get refinanced again. They never called me back. The whole application process took a couple of months from beginning to closing and it was difficult too because of their computer program. I had to do it on the phone because I don’t have a computer and it is very impossible to read the stuff on the phone. Gateway should quit relying on computers so much because not everybody got one. Also, I can’t do it at work and then they’re closed. So, I’m having to do it on my own.

Original review: May 1, 2019

On our second loan with them. We enjoyed the process, and we are extremely happy with the staff in the initial process. Then comes normal customer service.... nothing to write home about. One time, we were paying extra principal. Much to my irritation, there was a $10 charge. WHAT? Ok so now we send it snail mail. What a pain. This last time I sent $1600 electronically thru CHASE. Sent on April 17. Still haven't seen it applied. I called them on April 29...10 minutes with no human. Tried other number...another 10 minutes, no human. Sent them an email. April 29, still haven't heard anything. About 1- 1/2 hour to May 1st, MILDLY irritated. Doubt we will ever use them again in the future.

Original review: April 30, 2019

My Realtor recommended Lisa. We decided to reach out to her and she was fantastic. We couldn't have asked for a better experience. She walked us through the materials that we needed. We were first time home buyers and she had us understand the process, what everything was there for, what was needed, and what timelines we needed. Anytime we had a question, she was always there to answer our questions and was more than willing to explain things, as long as it took.

On Gateway's side, we didn't have any issue with closing. However, on the seller's side, we had some negotiating. The whole process from when they accepted our offer until we closed was just around three months. At the very last minute, we had to adjust the downpayment rate that we were going to give because of some needed work in the home that was discovered during the final inspection. Lisa jumped did everything she could to make sure that closing wasn't delayed any further. We really appreciate her help. If everyone in Gateway is like her, then they are on the right track to helping people in getting a home.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I was buying a home, and I was referred to Gateway. I found my loan officer through a friend, my financial advisor, and my mortgage broker managed everything. I had an outstanding experience with the rep that I was working with at Gateway. She was very timely, and she was willing to work on weekends and after hours, so she was incredibly available. I went with Gateway's conventional type of loan, and the process was steady and consistent. But near the end, although we had already been approved for a loan with them, it seemed as if Gateway was asking for more documentation than we thought was necessary. Our second submittal was an unusually high amount of documentation that was needed, especially since we were bringing 20% to the table. I would have liked to have seen a reduction in documentation. Still, overall, my experience with Gateway was pleasant. I was able to buy a home, and now I’m a homeowner.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I was going with Wells Fargo and my realtor was saying that I should go with a local lender. She made the set up for me with Gateway Mortgage. The agent that served me there was right on it. If anything changed or popped up, he always alerted me. I wished I could have gotten a lower interest rate but I can’t have everything you want. I’m a veteran and once they checked my credit score, the VA stood for the rest. Once my paperwork was submitted, it went through its own process. It was just a matter of time and it was done. Then I was told by one of the representatives that my loan was approved and what were some of the things that I would have to pay and that was it. I would recommend the Gateway Mortgage agent that I dealt with.

Original review: April 23, 2019

We wanted to get our own place. The people at Gateway were quick and reliable, and it was good to work with them. It was my wife who dealt more with the reps. There was Janet here in town, and she and her assistant were very wonderful to work with.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I needed to buy a house and I was a first-time home buyer. I had the house picked out already, so I told my realtor what I wanted to see and put in an offer the next day. The mortgage processing through Gateway was good and they worked well with me. Their rep Stacy worked hard and for long hours, and if I had any questions or concerns, they were answered promptly. I closed in 30 days after putting in an offer. Stacy worked around the clock to make sure that everything was getting done in a timely manner. I've already recommended her to my co-worker, who is in the process of working on a loan now. I've also recommended her to another realtor as well as a loan company to work through.

Original review: April 18, 2019

My realtor recommended Gateway Mortgage to me for my new home purchase. I got a conventional loan from them. Their rep Jill helped out a whole bunch and she made sure I knew everything as it was going on. We were done with everything two months before we closed and there are just some stuff at the end that we had to tie up. Jill was on top of things the entire time. I would definitely recommend other people to Gateway. I enjoyed the experience.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Awful. Went to a different broker & received a mortgage. Can't understand why my broker made me do the leg work with these idiots, but they are not only rude but hard checked my credit TWICE. Told me I had to settle some issues on my credit while another broker got me a mortgage.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I applied for a mortgage for a new home with Gateway. Everything was easy and smooth. The process took about two months but was was only because I had a set closing date that was down the road. Their reps were great. They handled all my concerns and questions promptly. I'd consider this company for a future home loan.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I got a mortgage from Gateway after a realtor recommended them. The process of doing that, however, was a terrible experience. The process itself was very detail-oriented and they weren't efficient at communicating. Basically, I was told numerous times a week for a couple of weeks straight that the thing they were asking me would be the last piece of information they would be needing. That, of course, opened up a whole new wave of things that they needed. Day after day, week after week, they come up with new information that doesn't jive with whatever the underwriter wanted. Even down to the week of closing, they were still asking for more information.

I was told that we could close early, before I would go on my trip, but that didn't happen. So I was dealing with everything when I was in China and Thailand. It was not a good experience. It was very stressful. Gateway should figure out how they communicate with whoever is selling the loan and whoever is underwriting more clearly in-house so that it's not continually on the borrower. Also, I talked to numerous other companies as well as the accountants with the title company and they were all shocked at how deep Gateway had to go prove I was qualified. I bought a house 18 months ago and the process was seamless, simple, and I had no issues. I would not recommend Gateway to another home buyer if he or she is someone I personally care for.

Original review: April 10, 2019

My experience with Gateway was great from start to finish. The mortgage was for a new home construction and the underwriting and application process was very easy. It was fairly smooth overall but took several months. Part of that was a little bit of waiting on taxes to get completed but no major lender issues.

Original review: April 9, 2019

We bought a rental property as an investment and turned to Gateway for our mortgage. I have a very good relationship with the mortgage lender, Stephanie. As a real estate agent, I was very familiar with the process and I do a lot of business with her. I talk to her on a daily basis. She is a hard-worker and she answers the phone night and day. She's also very detailed about everything and things are explained very well. I will always go through Stephanie for any home loan in the future, as long as she's at Gateway. Working with them, everything went well and the process wasn’t that hard.

Original review: April 8, 2019

It was my second time buying a house and Gateway Mortgage got recommended to me by the girl who helped me in buying the house. She wanted me to get with Candy, the loan officer, so I got a hold of her. She was really nice and I didn’t wanna make any changes after that. The online application was very easy and I got approved quickly. Candy was the one who helped me out and it was a good experience. Every time I called her cellphone, she was able to help me out on any questions and she was always there to give me an advice, so she did a great job.

When I was working on the process, it was really easy to call and really easy to get a hold of someone. It took me a couple of weeks to complete the application and get it done and closed. I was able to sell my house in a month and a half and I was already approved to buy another house. I liked Gateway. It was a good environment and I hope that I can get ahead of this one. I would definitely consider Gateway for the one helping us out again.

Original review: April 7, 2019

I was in the market to get a house with my wife and she knows somebody from Gateway so we went with them. The mortgage was for a new home purchase and the process was very easy. The online application process took a total of 30 minutes. I worked with Jeffrey and he was very responsive. He was informative and let me know of any updates that were going on throughout the week. Everyone had a pleasant attitude on the phone, and very professional and well-mannered through email. My experience with Gateway was above and beyond. They helped me and my wife out through a lot of the steps that took us to own a house and did everything they could to help us in any way possible.

Original review: April 5, 2019

My realtor recommended Gateway to us and they were really helpful. I did the process online and I gave whatever information Blair needed. He was able to answer a lot of questions since I'd never done this before. He gave me his personal cellphone number so if I had any other extra question, I could call him after-hours. He made sure that if I didn't understand something, it would be easy to approach him and get those answered. We got pre-approved in September, but they repre-approved us and did all that stuff in it. It wasn't very long and we put an offer in right away. I recommend my friends to them.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I was sick of renting houses or apartments. I read a couple of reviews online and Gateway Mortgage seemed like the right way to go. They were the easiest people to work with. My girlfriend’s friend recommended someone from Gateway Mortgage’s office. The rep was very knowledgeable. He sat down with me and explained every little thing. He helped us through absolutely everything. Plus, getting ahold of him was very easy. The online application process went very well. It was fairly simple and easy. I'm completely happy with Gateway Mortgage. They were great to work with and I'd absolutely come back again.

Gateway Mortgage expert review by Michele Lerner

One of the largest privately held mortgage loan companies, the local branches of this mortgage loan company give their customers personalized attention. Use their digital loan tool that walks you through every step of the mortgage loan application process.

• Local experts: Get a home loan from a local branch that delivers personalized customer service and a home loan that fits your exact needs. There are nearly 200 branches nationwide.

• Mortgage calculator: Use Gateway Mortgage’s online mortgage calculator to help you determine what loan is most affordable for your needs.

• Choose your loan type: Gateway Mortgage services all types of home loans, including FHA, VA, Jumbo and Home Possible loans. Talk to your loan officer to determine what type of loan is best for your home.

• Refinance options: Gateway Mortgage also offers refinance options if you want to refinance your existing home loan to get a better rate and terms.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Gateway Mortgage Company Information