2. Mortgages

Gateway First Bank

Gateway First Bank
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.57/5

Gateway was founded in 2000 and has grown to become one of the largest privately held mortgage companies in the country. Although much of Gateway’s success can be traced to key milestones and the team members who made them happen, it all comes back to maintaining our sights on a core set of values and purpose. We call this Our Vision.

Gateway’s Core Purpose is to originate and service home loans. We do this in lockstep with our Passion to Strengthen Families. Not just the 100,000+ customers who use our mortgage services each year, but also the families of our dedicated team members, our industry partners, and the other citizens of the countless communities we serve around the country. Gateway Team Members believe that one of our great responsibilities is not only to empower the American Dream of home ownership, but also to make a positive impact on our communities and the people who need help. We invite you to read more about how Gateway Gives Back.

Finally, when you choose Gateway, you can expect to find a company that has a tradition of success but stays true to its roots. Although we have been recognized multiple times by independent third parties for our growth and culture, you can count on a local, caring mortgage professional who is committed to you, your family, your home—and your community.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Gateway First Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gateway First Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gateway Mortgage?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

I was looking for a new home and what I found was an unfinished one. Gateway Mortgage was one of the very few lenders that would loan on something like that, so I went with them. I worked with their rep named Shana and she was very awesome. It was the second mortgage like this in the area at that point, so we had some difficulties through the way. But it was never with the mortgage company. It was because my house was almost classified as duplex instead of a full family home. It has two stories and the staircase was on the outside. But we talked with the assessor and the group, and we found a solution for that. We had to have it re-assessed after that point, so the process took a little longer than it should have, mainly because I had to have the assessor go out there twice.

The whole loan process took a month and a half total but it was not too terrible. Also, Shauna always contacted me and gave me updates throughout everything, so things went very smoothly. When I would ask a complicated question, she would say that she would ask this person and they'd respond in an hour. And she found everyone I needed to ask questions to and got me the answers I needed.

The fact that it was all online now was highly convenient, too. Any questions she had, we would just email back and forth. I also did most of my e-signatures online, so it was very quick and she was responsive. Then, we had one issue because of the home I was trying to get. Aside from not not being completely built, the home was a foreclosure and that made it so difficult to get a loan on it. It was a slight risk for the mortgage company, so I had to prove that it was not going to be a terrible investment. I did all that online, then I met with their rep, and I had all of the information I needed. All in all, working with Gateway has been pretty positive and though I never heard of them before this, I would recommend them to people because they were willing to take a chance on me.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

Gateway Mortgage was recommended by my realtor. So, I applied with them and everything was pretty much online. Their website was user-friendly, really easy to use, and very clear. And they showed documents back to us for signing. Also, the rep I worked with was good. She responded quickly and accurately to most things. But there was one instance where we had some confusion on an issue. When we were trying to get closed on a certain timeframe, there was some information that wasn't conveyed to us that delayed the closing. Some things are inevitable, but not having that communicated to us was a little disappointing. Still, my overall experience was really positive with her. This loan was for a new home and from what we can see, the terms and rates that we got were all very competitive as well. We're satisfied with them.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I got tired of paying rent, ultimately, and so I got a USDA Rural Development loan program. The realtors that I got involved with were in the same building as Gateway, so they're who I went with. Gateway did their job very well, however, I had some issues with the process because I underestimated the entire home buying process. There were things that I didn’t take into consideration, including how extensive it was dealing with an unethical seller. So, I had a hard time with the process a couple of times and there were some times where I just wanna pull my hair out, but it had nothing to do with Gateway as they did everything that they were required and asked to do. They went through all the procedures and processes.

I worked with Gateway representative Beverly and she was sweet. She was very professional and knew what she was doing. There was never any gap in any of the paperwork. It was always thoroughly explained to me along the way. If there was any additional documentation, she was forthcoming with, “Hey, we’re gonna need this.” And if there was an imperative, she would also tell me, “Hey, we need this as quickly as possible to help expedite the process.” Overall, Gateway impacted my life such that I’m a homeowner now and that’s a big step. And if a friend or family member were to ask me about using them to buy a home, then I would be behind them 100%.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I applied for a mortgage to get the most of my investment on a new home so I didn't have to buy with cash. With the rates nowadays, I thought that would be a good financial decision. I met one of Gateway’s executives and I thought that he was extremely competent and he was very eloquent selling his product. So, I felt very comfortable going with Gateway.

The process of getting the mortgage with Gateway was very straightforward. They explained really well the mechanics of the loan itself, and the rest was just submitting documents and it was pretty easy. In just a couple weeks, we had everything done. The online application process was super easy as well. I got that done within 10 to 15 minutes, so it was great. Until the house was closed, it was a while just because it was a long escrow period. But on Gateway’s part, that was a couple of weeks.

The customer service at Gateway was very helpful and very straight to the point. Perhaps they're a little bit hard to reach, which is understandable. They're probably handling a million of those. The smallest piece of criticism would be that it's not so easy to get a hold of them, but they do call you back and they do answer all your questions, so I’m very pleased. For me, Gateway's efficiency, rate and customer service stand out. They're excellent. I would definitely recommend them to anybody.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

Lori ** is my loan officer, and she was exactly the type of person I needed on the other end of the line -- patient to explain everything, reassuring when I was at my most stressed, and persistent when I needed a push to meet a deadline. This was especially important because I had one offer fall through, and the next one needed to turnaround very quickly for me to have a new place to live in time. She was able to help me close in 3 weeks from the offer acceptance! At the beginning of our conversations, Lori basically let me name my desired monthly mortgage payment, then worked backwards from there to determine what kind of offer I could afford to make, and how much downpayment I would need. She was thorough in anticipating my costs, so there were no big surprises at closing. I am really impressed at how accessible she was throughout the whole process -- she's a really hard worker and gets the job done.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

My homeowner's ins. is paid by Gateway Mortgage. It was cancelled 3 times for not being paid on time. Got it started back up and they paid it 3 times in a 4 month period . Gateway says not their fault, ins fault. Ins. says Gateways fault. Both tell me to fix it. I had nothing to do with this, but Gateway has raised my payment by $130.00 a month so they can get the money back that they (not me) overpaid. I put my home up for sale to get away from them. I would never tell anyone to do business with them. I was never allowed to talk to anyone but the person who answered the phone. C S in Warsaw Mo.

Resolution response: Aug. 7, 2020

I did get a callback from the company and they resolved my issue. Giving us our late fee back along with not reporting our credit rating. We also got an apology from the lender. It was all very much appreciated and in a timely manner.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH GATEWAY! Horrible experience! My wife and I called Jeff **'s team to do a refi as we were with Gateway for our original mortgage. In between our refinance Jeff quit the company and went to Loan Depot, still kept us on as clients just never told us he left Gateway. We didn't find out until the middle of the refinance. He advised us to not make our July payment and request a payoff for the end of month. End of July comes and Jeff is no longer in the picture as he went back to Gateway Mortgage and we had to start all over.

We got a collection call about our July payment and that there is a late fee and it will hit our PERFECT credit. Never have we been late on a payment. We made the payment right away and asked that they reverse the credit ding since it was their employee who told us to skip the payment. They said absolutely not and said they will have a manager call me back in 48 hours... Still have not heard from anyone. Don't get fooled like we did thinking this is a good honest company. They don't care about you and will not try and help you out. During a Pandemic, you would think this company could accommodate on a mistake that THEIR employee made and reverse the credit report, but no - they don't care. Make sure you read all the 1 star reviews before making your decision - there is a clear trend in them. We are having much better luck with LoanDepot.

Original review: April 9, 2020

Our experience with Gateway has been miserable. They have been horribly unprofessional and unreasonable with us concerning a payment discrepancy. We had a FICO score over 800 before Gateway implemented a change in our mortgage payment without ever providing so much as an email to inform us of the payment change. We had never, ever been late on a payment. Gateway provide NO proof of service that our payment was changing. Our automatic payment was submitted as scheduled, well in advance of the due date and Gateway did not credit the payment because it was not the full amount. When we contacted them to address the issue they were rude, disrespectful and flippant about the entire matter. After a year there has been no resolution. I would not recommend Gateway under any circumstance.

Original review: March 6, 2020

The company kept on charging PMI even after the 80% of value met. The insurance department did not drop the automatic deduction. Efforts to have them credit/refund the excess amount were fruitless. Appointment to talk to anyone was like an appointment to the moon. Pocketing un-earned money is not fair and I hope to get another mortgage company and stop doing business with a company which is not sincere and transparent. If they called, then it was "ExACTLY WHEN I HAD INFORMED THEM THAT I WAS AT WORK AND CANT TALK ABOUT MY PERSONAL MATTERS". I had a very dry customer service experience and counted as just a number to them.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

To whom it may concern,

I thoroughly enjoyed working with Tom ** and his team in Edmond, OK. They were the only mortgage company open the day after the 4th of July. We moved from Ardmore to Edmond, and we were so appreciative of how Tom and his team treated us. They were ready to help, easy to work with and very professional. I have and I will continue to recommend them.

Sincerely,

Micah

Gateway Mortgage author review by Michele Lerner

One of the largest privately held mortgage loan companies, the local branches of this mortgage loan company give their customers personalized attention. Use their digital loan tool that walks you through every step of the mortgage loan application process.

• Local experts: Get a home loan from a local branch that delivers personalized customer service and a home loan that fits your exact needs. There are nearly 200 branches nationwide.

• Mortgage calculator: Use Gateway Mortgage’s online mortgage calculator to help you determine what loan is most affordable for your needs.

• Choose your loan type: Gateway Mortgage services all types of home loans, including FHA, VA, Jumbo and Home Possible loans. Talk to your loan officer to determine what type of loan is best for your home.

• Refinance options: Gateway Mortgage also offers refinance options if you want to refinance your existing home loan to get a better rate and terms.

by Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Gateway First Bank Company Information