4.78/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Gateway was founded in 2000 and has grown to become one of the largest privately held mortgage companies in the country. Although much of Gateway’s success can be traced to key milestones and the team members who made them happen, it all comes back to maintaining our sights on a core set of values and purpose. We call this Our Vision.

Gateway’s Core Purpose is to originate and service home loans. We do this in lockstep with our Passion to Strengthen Families. Not just the 100,000+ customers who use our mortgage services each year, but also the families of our dedicated team members, our industry partners, and the other citizens of the countless communities we serve around the country. Gateway Team Members believe that one of our great responsibilities is not only to empower the American Dream of home ownership, but also to make a positive impact on our communities and the people who need help. We invite you to read more about how Gateway Gives Back.

Finally, when you choose Gateway, you can expect to find a company that has a tradition of success but stays true to its roots. Although we have been recognized multiple times by independent third parties for our growth and culture, you can count on a local, caring mortgage professional who is committed to you, your family, your home—and your community.

View More View More

337 Gateway Mortgage Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 17, 2019

Our real estate agent referred us to Gateway Mortgage to buy our house and we applied for a first-time homebuyers loan with them. At the time, we kinda looked around a little bit and they had the best rate as well as the lowest interest that we could find that would go with us. Our loan officer, Josh, told us that the process was gonna be really easy and for the first couple of weeks, it was. We just took all of our paperwork and information up there and gave it to them. Then, he ran through the numbers with us and told us what to expect for our payments and how long it would take. He would sit down and explain things to us. He was great and he helped us a lot.

But after a while, I kinda got a little bit disappointed with them because we would take on information and instead of telling us what else we needed at that moment, they would wait two weeks before telling us what they needed to the point where we almost ended up having to push our closing date back because they forgot some of the paperwork. But now, we've got it all settled and it worked out. Everything's good but we had to be on top of things.

Other than that, I like the online application process. It was easy for us to read through their website and it laid things out for us that we could understand the process without having to talk to anybody about it. But the application and underwriting process ended up taking two months and it would have been better if they would have been more on top of things. Communication was a big thing like letting us know what all we needed to have before the day it was due. All in all, it has been an experience but I'm glad that Josh was there. They were all there for us going through all that we went through, so I would use them again.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I am a veteran and I wanted to take advantage of the VA home loan to purchase my first house. My co-worker went through Gateway Mortgage to get her home loan in this area and she said that it was good. Although the application was a bit stressful, it was nothing that was so overwhelming. There were a couple of times where it was a little disturbing because I was told that it might take weeks but I called the other side where the underwriters were waiting for documentation and I got it expedited. It only took a week and Gateway definitely helped along with providing me phone numbers to call for verification, what kind of forms that they needed and documentation.

The VA home loan is a little more particular as far as the underwriting, so they had a weekly update in the beginning and as we got closer and closer to closing, they worked with me almost on an everyday basis, which was cool. An itemized list of forms, paperwork and documentation should have been provided at the beginning though to make it easier for me because then I could've been more prepared on who I was gonna call and what I was gonna get. But it was still done in a really timely fashion. Gateway Mortgage was phenomenal. It was a stressful time and there were pages and pages of paperwork but the fact that they would take my phone calls and they would respond with me via text messages when I was at work was handy. If I'm not at my phone, I don't have to try to find the time to listen to a voicemail. I'm able to look at a text message quickly and then respond accordingly. That was above and beyond.

The company’s reps were personable, super professional and they have a nice building. The rep I worked with, Aaron, took the time to call me and discuss my loan process before it was even at the underwriting process when he was out-of-town on a personal matter. At first, I felt bad when he mentioned that but he told me that it was totally fine. He also would contact me on a Sunday which was amazing. I'd recommend Gateway Mortgage to friends and families. Working with this company got me in a house and I'm a homeowner now.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I came across Gateway Mortgage through our realtor. She highly recommended them and Mike, whom she just worked with in the past. She highly suggested him, so we went with him, and everything was awesome. He did a great job explaining everything and walking us through the whole process. He expedited it for us because we were on a bit of a timeline.

We did a conventional loan program. We just had to set up some initial info and do the credit check. One of the coolest parts for me was that it was all digital, so I didn’t have to fax in anything. I could just upload it to the portal that they have and it ended up linking bank accounts. One of the things that we’ve done in previous loans was I would print out a bank statement, then a couple of months later, the same people would come back and say that they need the bank statement. It got super repetitive and annoying, but I didn’t have to do any of that with Gateway. They were on top of it all and the portal really helped out. It was the smoothest mortgage process that I have ever been a part of

The loan officer rode that balance between being super helpful and being super annoying and pressing like, “Hey, just touching base, touching base.” I didn’t get a million and a half emails, but he was always available when I had a question. Anytime he needed to do some digging, he got back to me within a super short period of time. It was very evident that anytime he needed to dig for something, it wasn’t like, “Yeah, I’ll definitely dig for that,” and then I had to track him down a week and a half later. He was very obvious and he would say he was gonna get it done, and he did it in a very timely manner. He was super polite and was a really nice guy. He was very knowledgeable about what it was that he was doing. I couldn’t recommend him more.

I would tell others to consider going through Gateway for a loan. They handled everything very well and very professionally. This is the third loan that we’ve done. The first one we did was with a little branch in a small town that we lived in and the most recent one that we did in North Carolina was with Wells Fargo, and it was a freaking nightmare. Gateway blew my mind. I never realized that a mortgage loan process could be as easy as it was until we went with them. I would tell somebody, “110%, go with them.” I’ve already referred Mike to a couple of friends in the DFW area that are looking to buy a home as well.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

We had a lot of bills. At the time, we were doing some changes with our finances and thinking about buying another house. We decided to apply for a loan and I was gonna refinance with the company that already held our mortgage, but they weren't giving me any information and were sidestepping. I knew that the price was gonna go up. My real estate agent then referred me to Aaron from Gateway Mortgage Group and we decided to get a 30-year fixed loan.

We got to go to Gateway's office and do things in person, which I really liked. There, we sat down with Aaron and got things going. The application was alright and I appreciated how it was set up. However, I didn't like that Aaron asked for a lot of personal information that I felt wasn't necessary. I was a little upset with that, but I was prepared. I took in everything that I had experienced from other refinances that we had done in the past. I was also a little uncomfortable because I didn't know Aaron. But in the end, we conformed and gave him the information. Aaron told me exactly what he was gonna do and I appreciated, respected and was impressed with his honesty. My comfort level then went up a lot.

The closing process, however, took too long, We closed on the 28th and that forced me into making my payment for January. Because of that, instead of having two months for free, I only got one. On March 1st, I have to make my first payment, and it's really putting a bind on me. But we're gonna go ahead, make it, and go from there. I also got a note from Gateway about an insurance policy where they'll make the payments and so forth in case something happens to either my wife or myself, whether it be a disability or whatever. I need that kind of insurance, so I'm gonna give them a call.

Everything worked out right and we paid off all of our bills except for the small ones, which we're working on right now. Our mortgage is a little high but I'm not worried about it. We'll make some other moves and hopefully, we can pay this loan off in 15 years. I wanted the 30-year fixed rate for my comfort level as we have a tight budget. Thus far, I've referred Gateway Mortgage Group to a couple of people. Check them out, you'll be happy.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I was buying a house and I started looking at several lenders and then I had to narrow it down to two. The biggest thing was Gateway's Kris' transparency. She was always there to answer questions and she felt honest. So, we went with them. The process of obtaining the mortgage is always a little bit of a pain but Kris was able to do most of it via email. There was only one time that I ever went to her office. And this was new construction, so it kinda dragged out over by eight months.

She made it very easy and she really worked to my time schedule. Also, she had our best interest. She was there to give us different options, look at different avenues, and determine what was the best program for it. There are always things in there that aren't exactly like you want but she was very forthcoming with it. She was 100% above board and transparent. And she always got back the next day. A lot of my correspondence was late at night when I would get home from work but I don't think I ever had a response that was more than 24 hours, so it was very responsive. I was more than happy with her.

The online application process was not what I expected. I've done this before. I'm in the auto industry, so I get a lot of loan applications. Obviously, the mortgage is more complex, but I thought it really was nice to not have to spend time sitting in an office and dragging paperwork in, so it was as simple as they could. With the actual application, I don't think I spent more than a half hour and until we closed it took eight months. The lending process was about what I expected and it went as well as we could. I have and will recommend Kris and Gateway.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gateway Mortgage?

Original review: July 20, 2019

Gateway was amazing. They closed my VA Loan in less than 30 days. Chris ** team walked me through the entire loan process enforcing me of everything. I loved the videos explaining each step of the loan and what to expect next. My Realtor was kept informed on the process. I will recommend any person buying or refinancing to Chris ** and his team.

Original review: July 18, 2019

We were renting a house then our landlord pretty much said he had to move in within a month or 2. We had to be out of there so we decided we were just gonna buy a house instead. We did a first-time homebuyers program with Gateway. We talked to a couple of people, originally. A friend of mine who's getting into the retailer side of things kinda suggested we should talk to a guy, Monty, that he knows and works in Gateway. So, we went down and talked to him. He seemed better than the ones that we originally talked to. He was more willing to help and worked with our timeframe ‘cause we kinda had to have something pretty quickly.

Gateway kept us updated pretty much every step of the way. They were sending us a lot of emails. There was a lot of the paperwork but we were able to do the e-sign. It all went pretty quickly and really easily. Gateway’s online application process seemed pretty simple. It was pretty step-by-step and wasn’t all that complicated. I got it figured out when I'm not the most tech-savvy. We had a 2-month process to get the house and we got a house that we're satisfied with. We got 3 kids and each got their own room. I already got 2 other people go to Gateway.

Original review: July 17, 2019

We're very happy with Gateway. We purchased a new home and getting a mortgage went really well. It was quite straightforward. From the day we sat down to the day we closed was a month and a half, but that was mostly on the sellers. We could've closed sooner so it was really smooth. We've already recommended Gateway.

Original review: July 16, 2019

We were having issues and I heard that the agent that I worked with at Gateway could get us to close faster. The interest rate of Gateway was also better than the other ones I found. And the process was pretty easy and simple. With everything, the process took about 12 days. They were communicative, easy to talk to and very helpful. I was impressed by their loan officer, Carl's professionalism and how fast he was able to get everything done.

Original review: July 16, 2019

Elizabeth ** was our contact person with Gateway Mortgage (for the second time now), and once again she went above and beyond what most lenders would to ensure we understood each step and there were no preventable delays. Our closing was delayed from March until June (due to seller issues), but Elizabeth stayed on the ball and kept us updated the entire time. On more than one occasion I know she worked a late night to help service our loan to ensure it went through (due to underwriting needing multiple confirmations of income). I would (and have) definitely recommend Gateway (especially Elizabeth) to a friend!

Original review: July 15, 2019

An incredible Mortgage Team that went out of their way to ensure that my needs were being met. They were professional, polite, reassuring, expeditious and timely; a joy to interact with. I would highly recommend them to anyone in need of an attractive mortgage rate with a team that has your needs at the forefront of their actions.

Original review: July 15, 2019

Having a representative at the closeout is a plus and indicates that you care. I am impressed with Mr. Michael ** handling of my loan and extra help he gave me with the construction loan. His willingness to go the extra mile (from Ada to Yukon) to be present for the closeout and to answer question was a plus for me. I will suggest this bank to all my friends and family. THANKS.

Original review: July 15, 2019

We applied at Gateway after our realtor, Carol, suggested Gateway. We met with Jeanett over the phone at first and she told us what we needed. Once we started the loan process with Jeanette at the wheel we were so pleased and grateful for her patience with us and we felt like a part of a family. Megan was also wonderful to work with. They were always there to help us with any questions along the way. Any little roadblocks that came up were dealt with immediately and she took all the stress out of the whole process. We would definitely recommend the wonderful people at Gateway in Enid, Oklahoma.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I bought a new home and my real estate agent told me about Gateway. They’d had to do a bunch of research on my employers just to get the dates that I worked with them. Also, I really like the online signing that I didn’t have to show up in person. That was really handy. Rose, the lady that was helping me, really did a good job and she explained everything to me. I had one negative thing in my score report. Rose told me to get rid of it and I would get approved for a different program. S,o that’s the first thing I did when I first talked to her. I talked to my bank, I got rid of that one late payment, and that it was wrong. It brought my credit score up and I got approved for a better option. The application and underwriting process took over a month. We did everything as quickly as we could without missing anything. Overall, I’d definitely recommend them to a friend.

Original review: July 14, 2019

I took a loan from Gateway Mortgage for a new home and they were fine, but the application process was a little cumbersome. There was a good bit of miscommunication. The double paperwork, having to resubmit paperwork and submitting paperwork that was forgotten to be sent to me to sign seemed like a lot of back and forth. Everything was done by computer and portal, which was fine, but they should make sure all the bases are covered. They should also get the paperwork done so that it could move along a little quicker so that the interest rate doesn't increase in the time it takes from the first contact to getting the loan approved.

Original review: July 13, 2019

The whole experience in obtaining a Mortgage with Matt ** and his entire team is first class! Literally every step was smooth and effortless. Matt and his team go out of their way to guide you through the process and make sure it is easy and stress free. They are professional, answer anything you need them to with ease and are very easily reachable for whatever you need! It is above and beyond great service! I would never think about using anyone else to obtain a Mortgage and if you need one make sure to give them a call and meet with them!! 5 Star Service!!!

Original review: July 12, 2019

Molly is amazing, this is the second time we have had the pleasure of working with her. Who would have thought you could improve upon perfection, she made everything easy and quick. Thank you Molly for all of your hard work and we will diffidently continue to refer our friends and family to you.

Original review: July 11, 2019

My girlfriend and I wanted to buy a house and a family friend was working at Gateway. We got an FHA commission which was easy as we just scanned the paperwork and uploaded it. The process took a month and a half from when we put the offer, and I was very satisfied. Gateway helped us get a house, and that was our main goal.

Original review: July 10, 2019

Tami ** and her team were amazing. They showed tremendous professionalism and focus and really personified customer care. I would be remiss in not mentioning Evelyn who kicked the process off and was a warm and kind person from start to finish.

Original review: July 10, 2019

As a proud U.S. Veteran I would like to personally thank Michael ** for his outstanding customer service during my closing process. Michael and Rachele were informative and walked me through the entire process as a first time homeowner! I will be forever grateful!

Original review: July 10, 2019

I called a few other lenders, but the person that I talked to from Gateway, Sarabeth, was really helpful and I really liked her. Applying online was easy overall. In some aspects, this was almost relatively new, so some of it was a little difficult when I had to scan documents here and there. Still, I got approved and the people at Gateway were perfect.

Original review: July 9, 2019

For being a first-time home buyer, Jeff was always so attentive. Any issues that were brought up to his attention, he’d get back with me immediately and gave me feedback with different solutions. I highly recommend him. Thank you for everything!

Original review: July 9, 2019

Our Realtor gave us a few different options, and Deborah, the rep from Gateway, seemed comfortable to me. The whole process was just seamless and perfect. We were in South Carolina and we bought in Texas. I was kept up to date on everything. There were no hidden surprises and it was a really good transaction. I'd email her and within an hour, I'd have a response. From start to finish, the whole shebang, it was right about 45 days then we closed. We were using a VA loan as well so that added some time. But they pretty much got it figured out. Being a first-time home buyer, it wasn't stressful at all. All those fears of first-time home ownership, I don't really have those with Gateway. I'm a financial counselor myself so definitely I will recommend them in the future. I actually just recommended them to my mother.

Original review: July 8, 2019

Michael **, Area Manager | **, is always very professional, patient and accurate. He makes the process simple. I would highly recommend using Mike the next time you need a mortgage. Lastly, I enjoyed Gateway's use of video's to help explain the steps.

Original review: July 8, 2019

Dotty ** and her team did an excellent job refinancing the mortgage on our home. Dotty's communication with us, throughout the entire process, was exceptional. She is obviously very knowledgeable about the loan process, as well as being committed to great customer service.

Original review: July 8, 2019

My husband and I have been married for 36 years, so we have made many purchases on credit, from furniture, to vehicles, to homes. Our recent experience with Gateway Mortgage was hands down the most positive such experience. The staff we worked with were the perfect combination of professional, efficient, friendly, thorough, and approachable. And the little video snippets Gateway emailed to us all through the process were perfect -- informative, yet short and sweet. Although we're hoping this will be our forever home, if we ever do purchase another home, we will most definitely use Gateway Mortgage!

Original review: July 8, 2019

We were buying a house in Springtown, Texas and we needed a mortgage. We were looking for a VA mortgage, and the mortgage broker we were working with had not accommodated the VA mortgage. So, he recommended and passed us over to Gateway, and he picked a cap for us. The process of getting the mortgage through Gateway was easy. I'm a disabled veteran and that I was tax-exempt, but they were trying to get that worked out. But they did, so it was very nice. We had done some of the paperwork with the original broker, but we had to redo several pieces because of the Gateway form, but it was very easy to work with the automated system online. The application process with all of the different forms that we had to do took approximately a week.

There were some hiccups with accessing the website. And they had to call the IT support to get something reset so that we could get in with our passwords. But that was the only thing that we really had trouble with. And my Gateway Mortgage broker was very prompt about finding the information and giving it back to us. Working with Gateway took a lot of the stress out getting the paperwork done in time. We actually did two closings in one day. So, they did get the work done and processed and it went very smoothly. And we were assured that we were gonna be able to close on our house and come up here and close on our house here with Gateway Mortgage.

Original review: July 6, 2019

Outstanding seamless service as always. Thanks again Gateway and John **. Thanks to Lorelei too. Always above and beyond the call of duty. This is the third mortgage I have done with John and I would recommend him to anyone.

Original review: July 6, 2019

I have never gotten a mortgage on my own. At 69 years old you might think that odd. The ex wife is a Realtor and took care of everything.. John ** made me feel extremely comfortable during my whole mortgage process. I will recommend him highly to people. He is excellent....

Original review: July 5, 2019

Gateway, Jill, helped me through buying my second home. I was kept informed and all my questions were answered in a timely manner. I love the teamwork atmosphere of the office and how well they all worked together. I would recommend Gateway to anyone looking to buy a home.

Gateway Mortgage expert review by Michele Lerner

One of the largest privately held mortgage loan companies, the local branches of this mortgage loan company give their customers personalized attention. Use their digital loan tool that walks you through every step of the mortgage loan application process.

• Local experts: Get a home loan from a local branch that delivers personalized customer service and a home loan that fits your exact needs. There are nearly 200 branches nationwide.

• Mortgage calculator: Use Gateway Mortgage’s online mortgage calculator to help you determine what loan is most affordable for your needs.

• Choose your loan type: Gateway Mortgage services all types of home loans, including FHA, VA, Jumbo and Home Possible loans. Talk to your loan officer to determine what type of loan is best for your home.

• Refinance options: Gateway Mortgage also offers refinance options if you want to refinance your existing home loan to get a better rate and terms.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Gateway Mortgage Company Information