2.65/5
Based on 127 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 23, 2018

687 Carrington Mortgage Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 23, 2018

I gave them 1 star, because 0 stars are possible. My mortgage was sold to these people by BoA. I have no issues before but now they seem to try everything to keep you from paying your mortgage. I was told that the transition would be easy and the terms would all remain the same, such **. When asking to escalate a call to management or a supervisor they ask you to fax the request and someone will return your call, everything is recorded (according to them) but you have to fax to request a transcript of conversations, they are quick to want to know your financial status --> why? Because they are banking on a foreclosure. I now have to Western Union my payments because they won't take them over the phone, online or by check. And credit is posted to your account a day late... DO NOT do business with this company!! And if you are stuck, like me, seek to refinance with a more legitimate, customer-friendly company like I am doing now.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Had issue with this company since day one with my escrow. It feels like nobody in the service department knows anything about how escrow works. In March I received an email that my mortgage went up $500 because they miscalculated my escrow last year. Even after running my analysis several time they kept telling me that I came short of the property tax. Apparently, they used my 2016 prorated rate for my 2017 property tax, which they had to add the difference they paid in 2018 escrow.

However, they told me that the shortage was 3,414 because my property tax came to be 4,497 which is inaccurate. Kept telling them that my 2017 taxes are exactly the same as my 2018. They told me I had to get supporting documents from the city to prove my property tax. I was able to obtain these documents in 30 min, but it's annoying that I am doing their job once again. At this point I feel that they are committing fraud by charging me $1000 more than what I owe.

Get expert buying tips about Harp Loan and Loan Modification Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I would recommend Carrington Mortgage Service without any hesitation. Everyone was fantastic, easy to deal with, professional and very trustworthy. They were very helpful during the whole process of refinancing our house. It was absolutely a pleasure working with this company and they were able to help us the way through. Thank you so much!

Original review: May 15, 2018

Not the best mortgage company in terms of helpfulness of their staff. My mortgage was sold to Carrington Mortgage in 2016. The first issue we had with them was that no one from Carrington told us that they do not use our escrow money to pay our HOA bill. Bank of America did this, and we were told by Carrington that nothing in terms of payment amounts, escrow, etc. would change. We were then hit with a late fee from our HOA company because Carrington did not use our escrow money for it. When I asked Carrington to reimburse me my late fee, the associate said Bank of America would need to that because they misinformed me. This is completely incorrect, I was hit with a late fee because Carrington did not communicate this.

Another issue I've had with Carrington is the absolute nightmare I have had trying to setup auto payments. I set up auto payments with my old bank account over the phone, and then shut them down because I switched banks. When I called to do this, I was told that they couldn't set up auto payments with the new account because it would take 3 business days to complete the shut down of the old account. I went online to set them up, but the confirm letter I received after doing this was for a much higher amount than I entered on the online form. I never agreed to pay that amount, I know for a fact I entered my mortgage amount.

After canceling that, I tried to call back to set up auto payments for the correct amount with my current bank and was told that there was no way they could set up auto payments over the phone, even though I am certain I did this previously with my old account. I was told that since I did not want to do the online form, I would have to get a form in the mail, complete it and fax it back. Auto payments would then take another month to process. They make the auto payment process so difficult because they charge a $5 convenience fee to make a one time mortgage payment online, and they are attempting to get as many of those out of me as possible. I am so dissatisfied with Carrington Mortgage because their customer service is abysmal!!

Original review: May 11, 2018

Bank of America sold my mortgage to this less than competent company back in 2017. They messed my escrow account up and have me paying an additional $140 a month. I called to have them fix this and to see if they would take a partial, smaller, payment at the old rate BoA had. They said their systems weren't set up to accept partial payments. BS, I find it hard to believe that a company of this size does not have that capability. That being said, we are now 30 days into the initial phone call about their error and still have no resolution.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrington Mortgage Services?

Original review: May 8, 2018

Ed from Las Vegas is exactly right with his review. They will not allow you to make early payments or additional payments to pay your mortgage earlier. They will only delay and stall you until you just quit and they take more of your money. Carrington bought my mortgage from Chase and I have no choice but to get ripped off by them. I haven't had my home long enough to have enough equity to get refinanced so I'm literally stuck with these vampires. Tomorrow I'm calling the attorney general in my state to file a complaint. STAY AWAY FROM CARRINGTON MORTGAGE AT ALL COSTS! They will bleed you for as long as they can and the customer service is equally as bad.

Original review: May 3, 2018

DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY. GET AWAY FROM THEM AS SOON AS YOU CAN. They will charge you fees, update their computer system slowly so that there is no accurate response and will not allow you to get your mortgage paid down early then make every excuse as to why their systems are not updating properly. These people do not care about you. They will pretend not to receive your payment and will attempt to foreclose on your property. My loan was sold by Bank of America to Carrington Mortgage Services 3 years ago (they were almost just as bad). If you can find a new lender who treats you with respect, I highly recommend you jump ship as soon as you can. These people are in the business of making money by any means necessary. Even if that means kicking you to the street. They are not to be trusted!

Updated on [05/04/2018]: While on the phone with Carrington, for the 4th time today... they straight hung up on me. BTW... now they say extra payments I have made (which I want to go to principal) will be applied to future monthly payments. What normal thinking individual wants to put extra money on monthly payments and not the principal to make future payments more effective? Their system booted me off at 5 pm exactly while speaking to a customer representative! Did they call back? Not a chance. Tell me, "Is this the kind of company you want representing one of your largest assets?"

Original review: May 1, 2018

I have been working with Mr. Aaron ** at Carrington Mortgage. He has been assisting me in saving my 26 year home. Mr. ** has been nothing other than superb. I know there are many negative reports of mortgage companies not helping homeowners save their home but, with Carrington, that is not the case. Not only, with the assistance of Mr. **, but with the true compassion of Carrington Mortgage, my family and I still have a home. If you are in the market to purchase your dream home or refinance, go with Carrington Mortgage. You will not find a better company or a better group of people that truly understands. Sometimes life happens beyond our control. Thank you to Carrington Mortgage and Aaron ** for all your assistance.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I can genuinely say that I had an amazing experience with Carrington Mortgage Services and they never fail to amaze me. I am currently refinancing our home and these guys are truly a great help. Smooth transaction, it was done in an extremely professional and convenient way.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I bought my home in 2008 and the loan was transferred a few times until it got to Bank of America. My payments were on time and current. I requested to go through HARP to lower my monthly payments due to a change of income and was able to do so. However they would only lower the payment a minimum amount and tell you to apply again and they will lower it again. I had to do this process two times until they lowered it to a more affordable payment; therefore a total of 6 payments were supposed to be put at the "end of the loan." Now B of A. employed Carrington Mortgage Services to service the loan; receive payments; address concerns etc... And they have put all 9 required payments back into the loan and are in the process of foreclosure stating "WE determine when it's the end of your loan and you either pay the "forgiveness missed payments" or we will foreclose."

Original review: April 20, 2018

This company is horrible and a nightmare to families. They received and deposited an electronic payment I sent thru my bank and they never reflect the payment on my account. In other words, they are NOT crediting payments, and dates to show that your mortgage payment was received/made. I'm in the process of contacting RESPA, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, etc. My loan has never been late and payments has always been paid months ahead. So, I DO NOT have any bankruptcy issues. My loan was sold to Carrington through BOA and it has been a total nightmare.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I recently sold my house this month... Lost my husband almost 2 years ago. Dealing with this company has been but an out of control circle. The sale closed on Apr 16th, the money wired on Apr 18th - after a new issue from them on the 17th. They are still cold calling me demanding payment and/or foreclosure. They faxed my payoff info to a number in MN, I live in AZ... They keep changing my payoff - for whatever reason - and rejecting the wire. My house closed on Apr 16th! My issue caused by their incompetence has "been escalated", I'm afraid to who & what will happen next. Stay far, far away from this juggernaut of incompetence called Carrington Mortgage Services.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Excellent! I had a great experience with the Carrington Mortgage Services! The service was exceptional. Very convenient and they made the whole process uncomplicated. They made sure I had everything I needed to complete the whole process. I highly recommend these guys!

Original review: April 16, 2018

Carrington was truly a great help when refinancing our house. The whole process was very easy and convenient! I couldn't be happier with the service we received from them! The staff was very responsive, friendly, hardworking and professional. They were able to answer all my questions thoroughly and very knowledgeable. I highly recommend them!

Original review: April 11, 2018

Avoid at all costs. Loose paperwork lie about fees and will ruin your credit report. I did not choose them but they were forced on me after my loan originators sold my loan to them. They forced an insurance policy on me even though I have one and when problems arose, their insurance didn’t cover costs and I wasn’t out of a lot of money. Do yourself a favor and look somewhere else.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Carrington Mortgage Service purchased my account from Bank of America in June 2017 without notice. I was in the middle of a modification with BOA when Carrington was sending me statements. At the same time BOA was responding to my paperwork and sending me more paperwork to fill out. Finally started dealing with Carrington in August and applying for a modification. In the process I get served with foreclosure papers. I call the law firm and Carrington to find out what the deal is?? They said I was missing paperwork, so they decided to foreclose. In the end I was not missing paperwork, I email all of my paperwork to them, because unlike other mortgage companies, they're too cheap to use FedEx... I live in Maryland, they're in California.

Since August it has been nothing but a headache! They not only filed for foreclosure in 1 county which is on public record, but they filed a foreclosure in a county I don’t even live in, which is now on public record, since then they withdrew. They are not willing or able to service anyone’s account. They're just filing foreclosures on people. I have contacted a forensic audit lawyer to go over the BOA loan, that I truly think is illegal from 2008. I also will be filing a motion against the law firm and Carrington mortgage for violating my rights on their foreclosure paperwork. Funny that all the good reviews on this company are coming from the state of CA...hhhmm. This company needs to be shut down. I say we all do a class action suit against them.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Carrington Mortgage Service was truly a great help for refinancing our house. The whole process with them was very easy and convenient! I couldn't be happier with the service we received from them! The staffs were very responsive, friendly, hardworking and professional. They were able to answer all my questions thoroughly and the staffs were very knowledgeable. I highly recommend them!

Original review: April 1, 2018

I've been with Carrington Mortgage for 7 yrs and have modified my home twice, each time they were very courteous and helpful. So far all I have to say about this company is that they've been nothing but good.

Original review: March 28, 2018

We sent the Account Executive for Carrington Mortgage Services the credit report, letters of explanation, income documents, divorce decree, everything he asked for. He said that he ran the scenario past an underwriter with those details and they can approve the loan. Our realtor then found a house to purchase, we wrote the contract, paid the deposit, paid for the appraisal, and paid for inspections. After everything, Carrington came back and said the underwriter has denied the loan for something in the credit report that they had before we ever started the process. They claimed that we told them something different and tried to play the he said, she said game, but we had sent them everything and documented what we told them by e-mail and they are complete liars! I will never do business with this company again!

Original review: March 28, 2018

On 01 February 2018 after ten years of servicing my mortgage, which we never had problems or missed a payment, Bank of America sold my mortgage to Carrington Collections Inc. Carrington Collections is the name stated in their answering services, however, their representative stated they are also a mortgage company. Since this time my mortgage payments have increased a total of $80.00 per month and it is only March. The Carrington representative stated my escrow had to be increased because Carrington requires a higher balance in my escrow account and for the first time ever my escrow balance was -$31.71, my escrow has never been in the negative.

I also set up an auto payment plan at the beginning of March 2018 that was suppose to have started with our 01 April 2018 payment process only to be informed by the Carrington representative the request did not get processed until 27 March 2018 and our April payment will not be automatically paid, we have always been paid one month ahead of our payments, however, we were told we can make the payment manually online to stay one month in advance. I no longer trust Carrington enough to make a manual payment after this mess and reading other horrible reviews. Also there are two offices located in Tampa FL, however, they do not handle mortgages they hand collections? How can Bank of America sell my mortgage to a collections company? Be warned. Constantly review your account if you have had the horrible experience of having your mortgage sold to Carrington Collections by Bank of America.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Carrington Mortgage is the worst company I ever had to deal with. They have lost paperwork that was sent multiple times, I have dislocated my shoulder and was out of work for a few months and they would not help me with a modification... As soon as I can get rid of them I will, and would NEVER RECOMMEND THEM TO ANYONE. THEY ARE HORRIBLE.

Original review: March 26, 2018

If I could give them zero stars I would. My husband and I started a modification with this company in October 2017, we are now in March 2018. We started modification paperwork in October after my husband and I were struggling to make our payments because he lost his job, we sent everything in, called to confirm they'd received it and they said that they did, however that department was behind. In December we received a denial stated they didn't receive the paperwork we sent, then put our house in foreclosure.

We quickly refiled the modification paperwork and have been going back and forth with them for months. We sent them paperwork, they need more paperwork, we send it in, they need more. Now it is public that our house is up for auction on April 3rd, they say the FC is on hold till April 14th, but won't send us anything in writing to confirm. My husband calls and gets a different answer from someone else every single time. I was in REO properties for 7 years working with banks daily, this is this most incompetent company I've ever dealt with.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Carrington took over my mortgage from Bank of America in February with no notice. The March bill was received by mail and paid on time to Carrington, with their printed payment coupon to the address on the coupon, but they are claiming I haven't paid because the amount due was changed internally at Carrington AFTER I sent payment.

While recognizing there was an error on their part, (I paid the printed amount on the printed bill as I have for 10 years) and my payment was accepted and cleared the bank within days, they won't process the payment until their 'revised' amount is paid by me. A 'disputed charge' takes 30 days to process, putting me in the time frame to be marked as 'delinquent', while the error was entirely their fault and all my paperwork is consistent with the amount sent and processed by my bank and on time. No one at any end of numerous calls 'is authorized' to address the error made by Carrington. I'm moving the loan as soon as I am able.

Original review: March 26, 2018

The service was truly one of a kind! Carrington is one of the best companies I have ever worked with. Greg and his team were very easy to work with and always professional. I was amazed that they were able to help us get our mortgage so we could buy a new house. The whole process took about 25 days which is faster than some of my friends have told me about their home buying experiences.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I was looking for a company that is trustworthy and very reliable that could help us a find a way to refinance. I found Carrington and these guys did an amazing job! The service was truly beyond my expectations and it was fast and very convenient! They were able to discuss every detail that I needed to know about refinancing and everything went very smoothly. Thank you so much!

Original review: March 20, 2018

I have a loan through this company for my home. After thousands of dollars for a attorney to bar my trespassing, property damaging neighbor from my property and the sheriff department not enforcing the restraining order and the prosecutor not prosecuting the neighbor I requested mortgage assistance. From July 2017 through December 2017. Numerous times I sent the same information filled out exact as they wanted, submitted all documents on more than one occasion, mailed priority mail, confirmed delivery, so I know they received them. I got letters saying they received everything, then said they didn't receive. I would send again, they would send letters saying they have everything, I would get a offer in 20 days. The same thing for 7 months.

In November 2018 I got notice. They sold the loan in the middle of this. Saying they sold my loan Chase, never had gotten anything from Chase on the loan or mortgage assistance requested. One of the two sent a subcontractor to leave a note on my door. It was found in the driveway 2 day from the stated delivery date. I mailed all information on the case. Police reports. Expenses. Etc. Then without proper legal notice to move, they hired a servicer to break into my home, change locks which I called law and made a report and they left my bathroom water on and damaged a exterior door bad enough it wouldn't lock, so the door was open when I checked the house. Yes lock me out with door unsecured. I called the servicer and left two messages, one about the bathroom water, the other the door was wide open and.the damages found on the premises. Screens, tampered windows. Etc. I took pictures and cleaned up the mess.

The house has not been foreclosed, I haven't received legal notice to vacate and the deed is in my name. Still requires me to cut grass and pay insurance and taxes. One might have thought they would have followed federal law and the mortgage assistance, sued the nutty neighbor for damages on this said property first before illegally breaking into my home, attempting to lock me out creating more damages. Plus no trespasses sign and purple paint are on the property. All again illegal and unlawful. I will be happy to join any class action lawsuits regarding Carrington Mortgage.

Updated on 05/03/2018: So when Carrington failed to process and offer assistance, they completed the foreclosure, I was locked out of my home by the mortgage service company. JP Morgan stated they bought the loan on the auction of my home, which is untrue as Carrington had already listed them as a switch in mortgage at the end of 2017. Of Course they denied anything on the phone and was kind enough to have their attorney Martin ** write a demand letter for their property on 4-24-2018, not allowing it for mail time which I received on 4-28-2018, called the attorney office and request approximately an additional month to move, faxed the information and priority mail confirmed delivery all reports I had sent to Carrington, the response was no more than, "I will forward all information you send to my client, however by the letter you have until May 8th 2018 to get out or I will do whatever the client wants (Jp Morgan)."

I explained I was not afforded the opportunity to do a modification or request assistance from JP Morgan that I had started with Carrington, there was no response and no time was granted as requested. Both CMS and JP Morgan nor their attorney ** (office Kansas City MO) could even tell me where to leave the keys to prevent any additional break in damages as they had already created in March 2018. This unethical banking practice has left me no choice but to leave my home and file bankruptcy.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Closed on my first mortgage late this past Friday. This was due to the mortgage company waiting until the last minute to contact the mortgage company for approval of the loan. Now today, Monday, my loan officer has to tell this company to speed up the process of releasing the funds so the title may finally be transferred and I may actually get the keys to my place. Very slow with responses. I seem to not be a priority for this company. Hopefully will never have to do business with them again in the future after this is all over.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Amazing job helping me refinance our house. I have an FHA loan and they gave me a streamline loan which was really easy and really fast to do. The process was so easy. I didn't have many questions but for the questions I did have I got quick answers. I've lowered my payment by a couple hundred bucks every month and will end up spending less on interest over time too. Glad I did this when I did. I hear rates are going up now! Let's see what Trump can do about that!

Original review: March 16, 2018

My loan was recently bought by Carrington from BofA and at first I wasn't happy about it because it took a while to get my new payment information from them. But right after everything got settled I had some personal issues come up that made it difficult for me to make my mortgage payment. I called Carrington and they were able to work with me on a payment plan until I can get back on my feet. I'm not sure if Bank of America would have done the same but I'm really happy that Carrington did. Thank you to the customer service team for helping me out!

Original review: March 14, 2018

These guys were really something! I had some issues with my credit score and some late payments in the past since I own my business. Sometimes work ebbs and flows but Carrington really got the job done for me. I ended up with a rate a little higher than what I'd like but since I was able to consolidate debt, buy a home and get my finances right set it was totally worth it. I'll probably refinance in a year or so to bring the rate down. You can bet I'll be doing that loan with Carrington as well.

Carrington Mortgage Services Company Information