2.19/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Carrington Mortgage Services

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 16, 2017

614 Carrington Mortgage Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Throughout the refinancing of my home mortgage, I worked with professional, knowledgeable people who were always able and available to answer my questions no matter how stupid. Vanessa ** was especially helpful. She definitely earned her pay working with me. The reason for my review and rating is because of Vanessa and others working with her.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I have worked with Carrington Mortgage for multiple refinances and a home purchase, and I couldn't be happier with the service they provided. These people are real, always been incredibly fast and responsive to my needs. They also have great connections with local title companies which can really speed up the closing process. I've always felt confident that I'm getting a good rate because of their help.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Where to begin with Carrington Mortgage services... My loan was sold to them earlier this year and I purchased my house a little over 3 years ago, I have never missed a payment up until this summer. I contacted customer service and told them I was unable to make a full payment, they reassured me that it would be ok and that I could do a repayment where they would break that 1 month payment up over the next 3 months. The following month I called in to make a payment but to later find out that the amount I paid was not the correct amount. SO now I had someone call me and tell me that my account is 60 days past due and the last 2 payments that I made were not applied to my account instead they are sitting in an escrow until the total amount due is paid in full.

Now it's been 2 months that I have been going round and round with them. I call yesterday to make a $1200 payment to what I thought was going to catch me up but now they refused to take my $1200 payment and said I now owe over $1700 from all the fees my account has accrued. I would of never had these fees if they would of just applied the 2 previous payments and not have them sitting in an escrow fund. I don't know how it is legal for them to refuse to accept a payment or have funds sitting there now being applied to my account. This company is the worst and has now ruined my credit score over the last 2-3 months! I am going to see what I can do to get away from this lender as fast as possible.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

In March of 2017 I was approved for loan mod with Bank of America. We had been through ringer with them. They had set our house to be sold on 1 November 2016. We started a chapter 13 bankruptcy as the only means we had to block the sale of our house. We had previously attempted to do a loan mod to make everything right with our Mortgage. My wife and I both had become disabled since we bought the house. They finally approved the loan mod in March. I told my lawyer we could forgo the 13 because we no longer needed to do it because the loan mod was now in place. So in May we converted a chapter 7. In April our loan was transferred to Carrington. In early May our homeowners put a lien on our house for approximately $2000 because they did not want it discharged under the 7. Carrington wrote me and told me there was an issue with the title and that our loan mod could be in jeopardy.

I worked out a payment plan with the HOA to get the lien lifted in October, and wrote Carrington to see if the plan would suffice to remedy the title issue. They did not respond to calls or emails. The last part of June Carrington sent me a letter stating that my loan mod had been revoked and I was reverting back to the previous mortgage. Because of the lien. I got the lien lifted and wrote and called Carrington and ask them to reinstate the loan mod. They told me all I could do is reapply for the loan mod. What started out as a $3000 problem had grown into a $31000 problem and once they found out that our chapter 7 was discharged they once again started the process of coming after our house.

They made no attempt with me to help clear up the situation with the lien. They never gave me any dates stating if I did not have it resolved they would revoke the loan mod. I asked many times to speak to a manager or person in high authority to resolve the situation and they would not let. I once again had refile 13 to protect us from Carrington taking my house. I believe their only interest is to take our house and not to honor a contract that was made for the loan mod in good faith that I made all the payments on time. This is very evil and it seems like this is how they do business. They should be ashamed of themselves. People work long and hard to buy their homes, to take person house of a small sum of $2000 is woeful. With no effort let the person remedy the situation. I spent 29 years in the Military so I could buy this house and now they are trying to take it.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Excellent mortgage broker, highly recommended! The process went smoothly and the broker worked really hard to close within 30 days. Everyone that I worked with were highly knowledgeable and have a high sense of value- nothing, but great service. I would highly recommend Carrington Mortgage to anyone planning to purchase a home or a refinancing needs. In my case, I have had nothing less than an excellent experience. Thank you so much.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrington Mortgage Services?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Two thumbs up for this company. The broker was so easy to work with and very helpful. He was also very responsive to my emails and my questions were answered including my concerns. Most importantly, he saves me from the hustle and bustle.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I accidentally sent them my student loan payment on top of sending my mortgage payment for September. I called and asked if I could just have the payment sent in error counted towards my October mortgage and I'll just pay the difference. They told me that I would have to pay the balance in full before they could do it (which I had no problem with), but they were going to charge me $20 to take the payment by phone because the online system does not allow you to pay ANYTHING LESS than the full balance due (and there is a $5.00 fee to pay it online).

I told the service rep I'm not paying Carrington $20 to take money from me and that I'd send a bill paycheck for the remainder. However, the rep then told me it takes up to 15 business days for them to reverse the error payment. That means I'll probably still be hit with a $35-$40 late fee because they didn't have the entire amount coded in THEIR systems in time!!! I've had nothing but headaches since my mortgage changed from Chase to Carrington. I hate this company and wish to God I could go back to Chase!!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

My husband is in the army and we decided we would put some feelers out to see if we were at a point yet with our credit that we could buy a home here in Colorado. PCS Partners put me in contact with Carrington Mortgage LLC since they are a company that works with people with lower credit scores. Right off the bat I mentioned that my husband's student loans were currently being disputed with the department of education and asked if that would be a problem... Carrington said, "No problem. We can definitely work around that." They gave us a preapproval and we started the process of buying a home, put offer in, went under contract, paid for inspections and 1 week before closing we were informed that their underwriter would not let us proceed due to the school loan situation. All along the way I was checking in with them and kept being told everything was looking great and going smoothly... Then BAM...

They wouldn't follow through with our loan. But what really grinds my gears is the fact that when our realtor called them out on this whole situation they had the audacity to say that I had not mentioned the school loan situation prior to even receiving the preapproval in order to cover their butts. From what I have heard this is a common thing happening over and over with them. They need to be held accountable for their actions. If they can't finance someone they should just say, "Hey that's not something we can do." But in the end we dodged a bullet and I am so happy we found a better lender! Shame on you Carrington Mortgage for being dishonest and treating military members like chopped liver.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

This is my second review of Carrington. I am a US Army veteran with excellent credit whose loan was purchased by Carrington from Bank of America. They now are Charging me a $5 convenience fee for making an online payment. I currently have two other home loans thru other banks, there is no convenience fee on their sites. I sent an email to their resolution center... Surprise... No reply. Carrington Mortgage is absolutely terrible... STAY AWAY.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

My loan was transferred to Carrington from BOA and I've tried contacting them since July 10th, trying to make payments but they could not accept them. First of all when I tried to make payments to Bank of America they would not accept them because the loan had been transferred. The second excuse when trying to make a payment was, I could only speak to the Bankruptcy Dept. The third excuse when trying to make a payment was they were short staffed, so I was unable to speak to anyone from the Bankruptcy Dept for several weeks. Fourth excuse I could not make a payment, my account was still in processing because Bank Of America had not sent all the information. I was finally able to make 3 payments in August and I was told that BOA had not sent the previous payments to Carrington.

I called Carrington on the Sept 19th and Bank of America had not sent the payments that were made to them since the beginning of 2017. Just received a call from my bankruptcy attorney telling me that the creditor for my mortgage had not received a payment and I HAD TO SEND MY PAYMENT HISTORY FROM MY BANK for the 3 months I paid. This seems to be a pattern with BOA and Carrington.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

Refinanced with them - no problem. Filed bankruptcy on credit cards only and the constant mess with Carrington is unreal. No one answers the phone, can never get statements and huge unusual fees are being taken from Escrow Account without explanation and they are constantly trying to raise the mortgage. Seriously the worst business institution ever dealt with in 50 years.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I called Carrington Mortgage today, Friday, Sept. 1st at 2:45 pm CST to make a payment on my loan. I was transferred from customer service to the bankruptcy department. Our loan is part of a pending bankruptcy, so this department is the only one who can take payments over the phone. They do not allow payments on their web site for people in bankruptcy. The customer service agent came back on the line to tell me that everyone in the bankruptcy department had been sent home early for the holiday weekend, so there was no one available to take my payment today... Excuse Me??? Their web site clearly states their business hours are M-F, 9 am to 6 pm EST. There is no mention on their website stating departments would be closing early for the holiday. I asked to speak with a supervisor who verified there was no one available to take my payment.

She could not understand why I was so upset because I could clearly call back and make the payment on Tuesday of next week. Yes, this is a true statement, but my payment is due on the 1st of each month. You can bet if my payment was late, these idiots would be blowing up my phone trying to get their money! She told me the President of the company, who I assume is Ray Brousseau, dismissed the bankruptcy staff early. This guy must be brilliant! How do you operate a business by letting all your staff, who have a responsibility to service customers, leave for a holiday weekend? Shouldn't you require at least one person to stay and run your business?

Believe me, I am not a heartless witch. I am a department manager and I usually let my staff leave early on holiday weekends, but that means either I am here until closing, or a staff member stays. How is this any different than me going to the bank and they sent all the tellers home early on a holiday weekend and the only people present are loan officers who can't take my deposit or cash my paycheck? The sooner I can re-finance my loan with another lender the better!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

Kudos to all the employees of Carrington Mortgage for providing me an excellent service in refinancing our loan at a lower interest rate. I undoubtedly recommend this company to all seeking a reliable and trustworthy mortgage company. They were quick, efficient and professional. All our concerns were all answered in a timely manner. I truly felt their care. I have never experienced such excellent and caring customer service, until I meet them. Thanks you so much.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

The Carrington team is fantastic and truly know how to deliver exceptional service! They are not pushy, instead they lay many options for me to choose from and made the refinance process easy and worked very hard to bring me a refinance package with a great rate and terms. All of them goes above and beyond when dealing with complex situations. I can also say that they are trustworthy and makes me feel that I'm their most important customer. Throughout the refinance process, they have provided me a great guidance and outstanding customer service that meets all my expectations and even more.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

My loan was sold to Carrington Mortgage in the midst of a loan modification process with BofA on July 11, 2017. Carrington didn't know who I was for three weeks as I wasn't in their system yet and I was no longer with BofA. Eventually I was able to continue with my loan modification but was told I was not eligible because I don't meet the seasoning requirement. The reason given was that my loan had to be at least 12 months and I should have made up to 4 payments. My loan is 7 years old and I have made payments during this time. I am following the appeal process but I am also complaining to the Attorney General's office. Many people have this same and other awful experiences, please complain to your State Attorney general. Ohio and Florida have sued CMS, lets get other State Attorney generals to do the same.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

The rep was always ready and informative, also very helpful with our questions or concerns. She was amazing to work with and always went above and beyond our expectations when dealing with the complexity of the process. The entire transaction went so smoothly we could hardly believe it! The hard work and effort she put into the process made us feel very secure with our decision to refinance our loan. She also explained options, provided guidance and have a constant communication with us. Outstanding customer service simplifies the difficult process. Undeniably great!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

My broker is an excellent mortgage broker. He consistently gives solid mortgage advice and helped me to decide on things that would have affected my long term goal. From the start I haven't felt any pressure from him or the company itself, he consistently explains various options to make certain that when I do make a decision it's the right one! He is the kind of person that is willing to walk the extra mile and exerts a high level of professionalism and integrity to his clients.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

The Carrington Mortgage team was easy to work with and very helpful. I first contacted them through email and got a response quickly, the customer rep answered all my questions. Most importantly, though, he saved the day when there were errors with the appraisal, everything was fixed and ready in a very timely manner.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

We have been dealing with Carrington Mortgage for 3 years now, and have had nothing but frustration and difficulty with them. Like others leaving reviews on this site regarding their experiences, we too have been denied mortgage assistance every time we have applied. They also have misplaced documents we sent, and they continually required more documents, thereby delaying the RMA process. They gave us the totally wrong information regarding whether or not we could do a short sale on our house.

We also applied for a Deed-In-Lieu, and now they have come up with an excuse to deny us that action. They raised our monthly mortgage payment (they claim it was due to the status of our Escrow account) so that we are no longer able to pay our mortgage. My husband and I are in our 60s and are unable to secure sufficient employment to make the payments anymore. We tried 3 times to secure mortgage assistance, but were denied each time. We tried handing over the property to them via D.I.L., but they would not accept it; they came up with yet another excuse to deny us assistance.

We have been trying to do the best responsible thing we can do at this point, but to no avail. It looks like they are determined to force us into a foreclosure. Our NY State HUD counselor is suggesting we file a complaint with the Feds and State. My husband and I are ready to join in on a class action lawsuit with others against Carrington; how do we all go about it? We have had it with this mortgage company.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

This was my first time asking for help from a refinancing company, but I found Carrington Mortgage to be an extremely easy and helpful individuals to work with for my refinance. Basically, not my first choice, but after I have talked to one of their loan consultants, I said to myself that this is the kind of company I am going to work with. Also, their pricing was much better than the company I had been working with for the past one and a half year. When everything was comprehensively discussed with me, I finally decided to lock a rate and the appraisal was scheduled for the next week, my loan closed when said it would be; timing was very impressive! The whole process was stress free and fast - 5 stars for them!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Carrington Mortgage was the best experience I ever had with a refinance. I have purchased 2 homes and refinanced 3 times in the past 10 years and never had any bad issues with them, well, there were a couple of very minor lapses, but I am proud to say that, by far they were the most efficient Mortgage company I have worked with. They have online process too, which was very easy to follow and accessible, I found it very helpful in providing the documentation that was required. The rate I received was among the lowest from any advertised anywhere. For me, that's a big plus! I will definitely recommend them.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I heard about this company from a friend that had a positive experience with them. I also decided to use them for our home loan after an initial conversation with one of their loan specialists. I talked to a very helpful loan officer who have discussed with me everything about the process, responsibilities and expectations about the home loan. They offered us a rate that was better than I expected. Moreover, the process was very transparent and the communication was top notch. Overall, a pretty smooth transaction with them.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

My account with Bank of America was sold to this company and the experience has been awful. First time I was able to handle a transaction, the second time I was told I could not do that and was transferred to another department and was taken care of. Then this month, I was told that they changed their set up for making payments and that they were the department and would not transfer me. When I asked for the balance on my account last month and then this month I got two different balances. I totally dislike not knowing the exact balance from month. The big kicker was when I was told the first time that I called that I did not have to make another payment until March 2018! And at that time my account was zero! Come on! What is the set up here? When I am finished with this company, I don't want to do business with them nor Bank of America.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

Contrary to other reviews I read below, my experience with Carrington Mortgage was beyond and above the average, and I couldnt be happier with it. Back in Nov. 2016 my mortgage was sold to Carrington Mortgage and I've had nothing but excellent service ever since. They were always willing to listen to my needs, even gave me 15 day grace period for a delayed payment. Refinancing rules and contract were carefully followed and updates were promptly sent through emails. Escrow analysis was also stated correctly and was double-checked then the info was relayed to me immediately through phone calls. I find it very impressive that they truly cared about my satisfaction and the value of my time and money. Indeed, 5 stars!

Original review: July 31, 2017

Carrington is a horrible company to do business with. B of A sold my loan to them, and as much as I disliked B of A, Carrington Mortgage Services is worse. They raised my escrow in November 2016, and again in April 2017. My mortgage is now over $200 more than it was when it was with B of A. They cite increasing insurance and taxes as the reason. Since it was relatively stable under B of A, I don't understand how it could have jumped that much. Additionally, I really thought they could only change the escrow once a year. I very much expect there will be a lawsuit over this eventually. I, too, have tried to refinance, but due to the rising mortgage and missing the date of the changing escrow, I now have a black mark on my credit and have to wait a year to do anything about this. I highly recommend NOT doing business with Carrington Mortgage Services.

Original review: July 30, 2017

I don't know how you guys are still in business. You have drunks working next door to my house beating on it with a sledgehammer yes a sledgehammer right through my wall... Duh... Drinking all day and blaring music like they're on a farm... Try to talk to them, no one speaks English. I couldn't imagine running my business or my guys acting like these idiots. Very poor work ethics from the crew and very poor quality control from Carrington.

Original review: July 28, 2017

They were the most personable pros I've ever worked with. Phone call and even emails were handled properly with a quick response to all my concerns. I was very comfortable working with them every step of the way. Refinancing a house seems to be very easy with their help. Thank you Carrington!

Original review: July 27, 2017

I just learned today that my mortgage was sold to Carrington Mortgage Services. I called them up to get more information and the kind lady told me she didn't know and couldn't help me until my "account was boarded up." I'm not even sure what that means. So I got all the information about her I needed, i.e. full name, email, extension, department, etc. She wouldn't take my updated address, but she did say she will call me when my "account is boarded up." Not very promising. Anyway, I Googled for reviews about this company and that led me here. After reading 6 pages of reviews, I'm dead set convinced every 5 rating is a bought and paid for rating. There cannot be extreme positive and extreme negative reviews with nothing in between. Most of the negative reviews are detailed while the positive are a love fest with no details whatsoever. I'm already working on other viable options to get away from this company.

Original review: July 22, 2017

DO NOT I repeat DO NOT get a mortgage from Carrington. They are nothing more than debt collectors. Customer service is absolutely horrible and they treat you as if you owe them back payments. The loan went through in April of 17 and it took me 3 months to continue sending them documents even after they had everything from the v.a. after the loan was finalized and my payment was fixed, they tried to tell me my escrow account was empty and they needed to charge me extra, $90 more a month to cover my insurance. This is against federal law and they know it.

When I try to get it fixed I get nothing more than run around and the reps won't connect me with the proper office personnel. My selling agent isn't allowed to deal with my account. After you're sold a mortgage by the agent they aren't connected with the company anymore. I was sent a book showing me how awesome of a company they were and it was all lies. I have contacted multiple mortgage companies after only 3 months of having this mortgage and they have all stated that Carrington is a horrible company. Please do not fall for the trap and if you have please refinance and get away from this company.

Original review: July 20, 2017

At first we were completely clueless with the whole process and working with this company was the best choice we made. Our loan officer was honest and very helpful. Absolutely no delays and we were always informed in a timely manner. Any questions we had were answered without hesitation. The entire process was a pleasurable one. Will definitely be telling our friends about Carrington.

Carrington Mortgage Services Company Information