2. Finance

Take a Financial Relief Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

Carrington Mortgage Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrington Mortgage Services?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrington Mortgage Services?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

From start to finish both Ben ** (loan officer) Debra ** (loan processor) were very responsive, pleasant and helpful. Anytime I had a question it was answered right away usually within an hour or two, but never longer than a day even over the weekend. Ben was really clear on what was needed and walked me through the process. The online submission system worked really well and was easy to use. Carrington was very cost competitive and ended up saving me quite a bit over the other two other loan quotes I got. I would definitely recommend both Ben and Debra personally as well as Carrington.

Original review: June 11, 2020

I didn't think everything would be as smooth since I wasn't doing everything at a physical location dealing with a person face to face. It felt great doing everything from the comfort of my home. I had John ** prepare all my paperwork and gave me all links and info on what documents I needed to gather and submit. He has a great team he works with also.

Get buying tips about Loan Modification Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2020

Carrington helped me to purchase my current home. Being a widow with a young child made home buying a hard process. Carrington helped walk me through the process and directed me to the best program for me. Carrington has continued to contact me over the years to see if I needed any refinance options and to reduce my payments and loan term. I would recommend them to anyone purchasing a home or business.

Original review: March 11, 2020

As the Executive Director of a HUD Approved Housing Counseling Agency as well as a HUD Certified Housing Counselor, I rarely experience such poise and patience from lenders/servicers staff when I call to glean information for my clients, (the borrower). Today was one of those rare occasions, and it was Special Servicing Specialist Jessica ** who afforded me her blessing of professionalism. I am passionate when it comes to getting the information required to support my clients. Sometimes my passion comes across as anger and sadly ignorance, although neither is my intention. If you listen to the taped conversation, Jessica had with me today; you will hear what I mean.

Jessica's skillset deescalated what could have become a less amicable conversation. Jessica ** is a Leader destined for Greatness, and Carrington Mortgage Services LLC is blessed to have her on staff, signed: Charles ** Executive Director and HUD Certified Housing Counselor of Integra Home Counseling Inc. soon to be known as "Envision Home."

Original review: March 1, 2020

I have been with CMS for a number of years. I have not had a bad experience, except for adding my property taxes into my mortgage payment. I had to go through my attorney in order to incorporate my property taxes by doing a loan modification, which also entitled me to a lower rate. I would recommend CMS.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

Trust is a hard thing to gain. Mr Ben ** loan officer and Ms Alisha ** were able to inspire trust with their confident, knowledgeable quick responses and guidance through the whole process. Very good experience working with them.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

My mortgage was sold by Chase to Carrington Mortgage.... a few months before my HUD PMI should have been dropped. I contacted Carrington, in writing, to ensure that they were going to remove my PMI in November, 2020. Yes, they would be doing that. Well, they didn't. When I called I was told that my escrow was short $700. When I asked to explain to me why, since I hadn't received any notice of that, and I've never been short in escrow, the customer service rep. hung up on me. Long story short, I talked to 5 people, and was told I'd have to wait until January for them to do an analysis of my mortgage and they would determine at that time if my PMI would be dropped. My mortgage is lower than was is required by HUD. I received different information from all 5 customer reps I talked to. I am filing a complaint, but I'm sure that will go nowhere! What a joke of a company.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

This experience can best be described as what NOT to do, an epic disappointment. The only positive I can find is that the people I spoke with were friendly. The beginning was fine. I had purchased this home July 2019 with Carrington as the mortgage carrier. Many companies were contacting me about refinancing and one day Carrington reached out and my interest happened to be piqued.

When I first spoke with the loan originator, it sounded so easy, so pain-free, so quick, so streamlined. Carrington already had the original mortgage. What could possibly go wrong? I had told them I didn’t want to come out of pocket for anything. Somehow, a new appraisal was required for the tune of $550. After a year, I have no idea why this couldn’t be waived, yet I acquiesced.

Moving forward. In this super easy streamlined refinance, I wasn’t required to provide bank statements, just the normal pay stubs and two years of taxes and W-2’s. I sent them away and soon, the under-writer chimes in requiring a copy of my divorce decree. Already this is interesting since there is no discernable way to tell I was I ever married. The taxes are all under my name as single and the children are listed with me. Offended doesn’t even begin to describe my feelings. I have no idea why my being married or not matters.

Of course, I ask the originator why and am told the under-writer wants to know the dates of the marriage and to see if I’m receiving child support or alimony. I tell the originator I feel the under-writer needs to be educated because 1) if I were currently married I couldn’t file taxes single 2) alimony has to be reported on taxes 3) it doesn’t matter if I’m married; he isn’t on the loan. Time passes and I think of even more reasons this is ridiculous. I find myself now under magically communicating with the loan processor. I have no idea how I’ve ended up here and have to ask her why I have her now.

Now that I have a new person, I go through my aforementioned frustration of the divorce decree along with my additional reasons of why this shouldn’t be required, namely 1) it wouldn’t matter if I received child support 2) it wouldn’t matter if I received alimony, I requested the loan be processed based on the income I provided, which would be my salary.

Now, the story changes and I am told the under-writer has requested this information to see if I am responsible for paying child support or alimony. Granted, this does make more sense. However, I would have disclosed this on my list of expenses. The loan processor tells me I’m lucky the under-writer accepted the decree in the manner I had furnished it because I had blacked out the names of the attorneys, as well as my ex-husband. I can assure you, one needs to know my ex’s name, nor the attorneys present.

On another note, I was not required to provide this very personal document the first time the company processed the loan. The rules for the under-writers should be the same. As far as I can tell, this is an under-writer on some power trip who is gathering unnecessary documentation because he has the “power” to do so, at a great cost to me.

The under-writer continues to puppet the process and now demands contact information for my previous employer since I changed jobs last June. Again, information the company had when they first processed the loan. Apparently, the tax returns and W-2’s were insufficient for him to make a logical conclusion. I was able to provide my hire letter and exit interview, showing my dates of employment.

Finally, the closing date is set. I am relieved. I have had enough anger, embarrassment, and shed enough tears by now. The day has finally come, and I will be free, or so I thought. The CD is in, the witness is present, the attorney is present. All the papers get signed and everyone is happy. I’m getting money back and that’s always nice. The closing was on Wednesday, 14 October 2020. On 15 October 2020, my account is debited for the original mortgage. Here we go again. How bizarre, I think. This should have been completed at closing, when the house was paid off. I figure Carrington will catch it right away and refund the money. No.

The following Tuesday, a check arrives. It isn’t for the full amount of what I’m to get back, but I think to myself, well this must be because I make bi-weekly payments. The other check is sure to follow. Wrong again. On 21 October 2020, a week after closing, I receive an email from Carrington. It’s a revised CD. No explanation, except it’s revised and to retain for my records. I notice that my payment amount has increased and the money I was to be getting back has changed. It’s now for the check I received the day before.

This can’t be right, a CD can’t change once the house has closed, can it? I start to research, then I call a friend I have in real estate to confirm my research, and then finally the attorney. No, the CD can’t change. The attorney says if Carrington made a mistake, it’s up to them to fix it. I have signed documents; they’re notarized. How can I be held to something I didn’t agree to?

I contact the loan processor, who was equally surprised. She agrees the CD can’t change and doesn’t know what to do. After some research, she finds I should have only received the amount of the check. The CD was wrong, but the attorney is right, it can’t change, but she doesn’t know what to do. She’ll call back. She doesn’t. I follow up the next day with an email and ask about the erroneous payment. I end up getting a back from the originator. A mistake was made. It’s Carrington’s fault. The long and short is I have no recourse, except through litigation. I’m thinking, surely the company could refund the cost of the appraisal, something to make this right.

The originator says he can expedite getting the escrow from the original loan back to me. I must explain how this is not in my favor. Calculator in hand, I walk him through the numbers and explain that he needs to transfer those funds into the new loan, so my escrow doesn’t wind up short. I won’t go into the antagonizing detail of those conversations. The erroneous payment? I should instruct the bank to cancel the ACH payments. Again, not a smart move since my mortgage won’t get paid at all. Carrington needs to handle that on their end with the independent loan numbers. I hear it’s being handled. The next day, he realizes the payment was erroneous and sometime, I’ll get that money back.

As of now, almost two weeks after closing, an escrow analysis is still occurring and I’ll hear back soon, and I am assured that the payment will be lower and at that point I’ll have another revised CD. Being that I am not in the mortgage industry, I look to them for guidance and advice. Certainly, there are things I am not aware of. However, I don’t feel like I should shoulder the responsibility of providing information about escrow payments and transfers, payments, and CDs. The rules for underwriters should be the same.

A month later, I receive refund check for the escrow, despite the fact that I specifically it be transferred to the new loan. I also learn that the erroneous payment has somehow found its way into the escrow, no notice to me, and I won't be getting that money back. I'm still trying to figure out how $2,100 + $860 = $2,200, but with Carrington math, I don't think I'm getting very far. Now, they tell me I have to cash the check so I can transfer the money back to escrow. Another surprise is waiting for me. In order for me to do this online to ensure it goes to escrow, they charge me a convenience fee. Anywhere else would be better than Carrington. They lost my confidence, my trust, and my money.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

I was speaking to a loan officer out of the Anaheim office regarding a mortgage refi. I have 780+ credit score, and no accent when speaking English, so the conversation was fine for the first 15-20 minutes. The second that he found out that I am not an American citizen, he changed from a loan officer who wants new business to someone with zero interest to even continue the phone call. I asked him if he would check if and how we could proceed with the mortgage refi or shall I investigate it myself. He said "I will just say no to you right now".

Out of confusion, I called 2 other lenders just to double check whether it is the true that I can not refi with my work visa status, the answer is no problem. Finally, I called Carrington general number back and got routed to a gentlemen in the Phoenix office to ask the same question, and he said should not be an issue either, and kindly offered to check for me and let me know tomorrow.

This simply saddens me... You can make your own judgements of this person's behavior. Also, please check Carrington Mortgage Services on Glassdoor, turns out that former employees felt racism from within Carrington as well. I urge Carrington management to correct this prejudice and set a good morale to treat its employees and customers.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

This is a review that anyone can trust. THIS IS THE TRUTH. If anyone is smart they will stay away from this company. They do what they can so you can't sell your house so they have an income. They tell you one thing and do another. They do not work with you if you are in the hospital and cannot access your bank to make your monthly mortgage. They start foreclosure process. They tell you they will take the late payments off on a certain date and then do not do it. Please do not trust this company.

Carrington Mortgage Services Company Information