2.53/5
  • 1 star
Based on 150 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 14, 2017

635 Carrington Mortgage Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

These professionals were heaven sent to me. I was completely overwhelmed by their effort to give me an outstanding rate for my loan and explained the refinancing process and guided me through it. Everyone in the office was highly professional and extremely detail-oriented. They made sure that nothing fell through the cracks. They even got me a better interest rate than the bank itself, was offering!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Our mortgage was sold from BOA to Carrington in March 2017. During this time we were in debt consolidation due to BOA not working with us! Our debt consolidation was over July 21st 2017. We were discharged Carrington signed off on the debt said it was paid in full. Never have received a bill or monthly statement. Called Carrington and told them I want to make September’s payment and they told me that they couldn’t accept it because we owed March thru at that time was August. I said we were in debt consolidation you had gotten the money that was owed. I was told to pay my bills and this wouldn’t happen to me. Called numerous times. Got a different story every time I called. In September I had signed for a package from Carrington. It was a letter to intent to foreclose on our house. I called Carrington. Told them this is wrong and not right. They gave me a foreclosure date of October 24th 2017.

I told Carrington they needed to review of our total account and that they needed to make the correct changes to our account… I was told that takes 30 days. They got the letter and mortgage payment for Sept and Oct 2017 on Oct 5th. They never put it into the system until October 18th so that gave them until November 18th 2017. During that time we hired a lawyer because Carrington was breaking the law of a bankruptcy. YOU CAN NOT COME AFTER SOMEONE FOR A PAST DEBT AFTER THEY WERE DISCHARGED FROM BANKRUPTCY. DURING THIS TIME OUR BILL WENT FROM 3 grand to 9 grand in a matter of 3 months. Our attorney said they broke several laws and that there are in contempt of the bankruptcy court. The week of November 18th 2017 we received a letter from Carrington mortgage stating they needed more time to complete their review, they wanted another 15 days to review our records.

In the meantime our attorney had sent a letter to Carrington and the bankruptcy courts and to Carrington Mortgages attorney. Our attorney had our mortgage payments. He sent them to the Carrington Mortgage and they cashed the check. December 6th 2017 we get a package from Carrington, my heart sank. I sat on my couch for 30 minutes before I opened it, it stated that they were sorry and that they had screwed up that it was gonna take time to correct the changes. In the meantime Carrington reported we were over 120 days past due on our mortgage to the credit bureaus (4 of them to be exact) and that it could take 60 to 90 days for that to be fixed. So we tried to call in December’s mortgage payment and I can’t call in our mortgage payment because I’m not on my fiancé bank account.

I was told to have him call in to make a payment, by the time he gets out of work they are closed and I was told he had to continue to speak with the bankruptcy department because they have not done the paperwork to close out our bankruptcy, THEY HAVE HAD THE PAPERS SINCE AUGUST… We cannot pay our mortgage online until they close out our bankruptcy. My fiancé is hearing impaired but not to the point he needs the hearing impaired line but by the time he gets out of work they are closed, if we mail it in it will be late. What do you do? I have no choice but to mail my mortgage payment in at this point. This is all still being straightened out at this time…

My experience with Carrington is not good. I have been cursed and told to pay bills, hung up on multiple times during the time they have had our mortgage. My fiancé and are still deciding if we are gonna try and have Carrington pay our attorney fees etc. for this huge mess that was their fault and didn’t want to their job and look at all the proof that they’ve had and that we’ve sent in to them. I do not recommend this company

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Thank you BOA from going from one horrific experience to another. Owned my home for 10 years got transferred to Carrington in August 2016, since then it has been a nightmare, I was supposedly behind one payment when it was transferred, BOA never said or sent anything about the payment but fine, I make the payment, this took 3 months to iron out, because of that one of my payments was "late" so for this month I was charged a $20 inspection fee to make sure I still reside in the home. Really... I call you, you send me registered letters, OBVIOUSLY I am still in the home. Customer service chat line are illiterate people, who can't type a English sentence correctly and customer service as well as supervisors are useless. We will see what next month’s payment brings.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Carrington connects lists properties and makes prospective buyers get prequalified through Carrington Mortgage Services by phone in order to put a property in contract. Then a buyer is abandoned if the property is under $50k. Carrington expects a buyer to pay all closing costs including realtors. There are high loan fees and higher than normal interest rates. Loan officers are in California or Connecticut. It is an unpleasant, painstaking experience.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

My Mortgage was recently transferred from BOA to Carrington. We did not get a bill or any information on where to send the payment, so I called Carrington and spoke with a representative there who told me that for new customers our first payment would not be due for 60days (January). I said, "That's great, I would like my escrow redone since it was wrong". She said that would take about 2wks. I did not pay my November payment. I put the money into the heating for winter only to get a call from Carrington that I am now 30 days late. And my escrow would be done in 60 days.

Now I owe two payments which I do not have and they are sorry for the miscommunication. No help or responsibility on their part. It's all my problem. I was told that a Supervisor would review it and call me back 2wks later. The only call I got was looking for my November and now my December payment and they had has no information on any Supervisor calling me back. Just once again sorry for the miscommunication and when will you be making your payment. Time for a new Mortgage Company, Go elsewhere!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrington Mortgage Services?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

A million thanks to Eileen, who worked a miracle for my entire family! My other mortgage company ripped us off and we had big problems with them. I called Carrington Mortgage for help and they sent us to Eileen who was super professional and provided us help that money can't buy. She guided us and explained everything in clear detail, questions were all answered and directions were clear, without her, I can't imagine we would have gotten this loan. I would recommend her to anyone who wishes to get a loan without headaches.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Robert at Carrington Mortgage helped us purchased our new home. He was extremely detailed and very knowledgeable. All our doubts were gone, he answered every question we had in a timely manner and were very friendly throughout the process. We highly recommend him and their services.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Done this for the first time, and thanks to Carrington for sending me an incredible team to take care of everything to me. I'm a first time home buyer and every single thing was new to me, The team took time to let me understand every step in detail and it was done in a very comprehensive manner. They have laid options and what I should expect cleared all my questions and put me at ease all throughout the complexity of the process. Indeed, the whole process of purchasing my home was absolutely seamless due to this team. I am so impressed by how professional and personable they are.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

We've got a few people from this company worked with our home refinancing, and we could not be happier. The entire process, from the time I reached out to them until the documents were signed, was seamless. The team walked us through every step of the process and made our experience very pleasant. They helped us chose our best option! Aside from the many emails sent to us and needs to reply, we didn't run into any annoyances the entire time. For me, that was truly an exceptional customer service; we were given exactly what we were looking for; a great rate with a better term. This entire process would have most definitely been more painful if we had not worked with them.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Working with Robert of Carrington Mortgage was a breeze. Robert was recommended to by a friend after knowing my intention of purchasing a home. I knew the process could have been a headache, but thanks to Robert of Carrington Mortgage for the wonderful service being rendered to me. He helped me with all the papers and other important document to get ready and speed up the process and the whole process was very transparent; all questions were answered with clear explanations. I've never felt more comfortable with a big purchase and I was able to get an awesome interest rate. I would highly recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I have worked with Eileen at Carrington Mortgage and I would be very happy to definitely recommend her and the company. I love the fact that I'm working with dependable people, as opposed to some giant bank. This company has the most reliable people for any mortgage transactions, and Eileen is one of them, she has always been incredibly fast and responsive to my needs and truly values my satisfaction. They connect to other local title companies which can really speed up the closing process. I've always felt confident that I'm getting a good rate, and I feel like I can trust them to work on my behalf.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Like everyone else, we were sold to Carrington. Starting 1/1/18 our pay dates will change and we want to change our dates with Carrington. (Twice a month). After 3 calls, the 2nd one was cut off, after 15 mins to get anyone, finally I got someone who could at least comprehend. They had nothing. All they could offer was a late fee of $162.00 every month if we kept it on automatic. I work for a very large bank who does accommodate. We are looking to refinance and it will not be with Carrington!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Recently B of A sold my mortgage to Carrington. Initially I didn't get the information to make the payment and had to make multiple calls to get the information to make a timely payment. The next month I made the payment before the overdue date yet got a call early in the morning 4 days later. I had just checked my checking account and it had already cleared. The woman said that she would need to check their computers and hung up. This month I made an online payment on the first of the month. On the 2nd I got a call at 7 am wanting to know when I would be making the payment. These people are making me nuts.

The original loan was for 20 years. I am down to the last 25 payments. I will be paying them off this month just to be done with them. That is if they will give me the payoff amount. They seem to want to do a 3 way call with my credit union, the credit reporting agency and myself. On top of that they charge $5 for each payment unless you write them a check or send a money order. Who has checks, I usually pay on a company's website-$5 charge. I never agreed to that charge when I signed the original contract. Apparently payments through their site go through Western Union.

I have a good credit rating and object to their stupid calls just because I won't use their site and have my bank draft them a check each month. This outfit acts like it is a collection agency with calls every month and too stupid to check their computers to see if a check has already cleared. If you can get a loan anywhere else take it. I have never been late with a payment and don't need their monthly calls.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Carrington got the job DONE - EARLY! I worked with Donnie ** and my client was thrilled with the ease of the transaction! I have been a Realtor for 10 years and this transaction was smooth and Mr. ** kept me updated consistently so I never had to guess the status of the closing. Great job and I would definitely work with Mr. ** again!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I have never missed a payment but I'm told I'm 3 behind. They said they can apply my payments as they see fit. Looking for a lawyer to sue them for fraud. I have yet to receive a bill or receipt in two years.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

My house loan was sold from BofA to Carrington about a year ago. The payment has ALWAYS been on time... either early or not later than the 7th of each month at the very latest. We never had any problems with them until today. I got a call from the "collections department". She tells me that I am in default and it's in collections because they didn't get it yesterday, the 1st.

I told her I use bill pay with my bank and it was sent out yesterday, the first, but that didn't matter to them. It was late according to her... our statement and contract even states that it's not considered late until the 15th. I asked her what in the hell was she even talking about. I told her that what Carrington does, is illegal... apparently after reading tons of consumer complaints about them, I am not alone. Almost everyone has gone through the same harassment with these people. They need TO BE INVESTIGATED!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Carrington bought my mortgage about 7 yrs ago. I put my house on the market, and it sold fairly quick. I called Carrington to discuss the checks from my insurance company for damaged roofs. I sent them a copy of my divorce decree and the warranty deed that my ex signed the year of our divorce. I called to verify they had received these documents and to request checks be made out to me only. I explained that my ex has been gone 12 yrs now, nowhere to be found, and could they make the checks out in my name only. They agreed. Now after closing, they are telling me they can't make the checks out to just me. They have to put her name on there as well. I have no way of contacting her, last I heard, she is on to marriage 3. So I am out quite a bit of money because I can't deposit the checks. Beware of this company. They lie and give you the runaround.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

My experience with Carrington was professional, accurate, and very positive. Done in quality time with exceptional instructions. Very well done. The employees I dealt with were very patient, and very courteous. Exceptional.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

We had Carrington Mortgage team helped us when we were so in need. These professionals were dedicated to their job, they were always ready and willing to help and very honest and transparent too - our questions/ concerns were addressed accordingly. They offer options and guidance and has a constant communication with us. Our business with them went so smoothly, we could hardly believe it! And that was due to excellent customer care, hard work and awesome job. Thank you so much Carrington Mortgage team.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

We were referred to our lender. I admit that we really need an assistance financially because we're first time home buyers and like the majority and this would be the biggest purchase of our lives thus far. From the beginning to the end our lender made it seem as though we were her only clients. We were updated every step of the way and she also gave us her personal contact in case we needed it. I can say that, she really took the whole bunch of stress upon our shoulder. She even told us that this was to be a joyous time and not one filled with stress. All of the staff worked tirelessly on our behalf, and I’m so grateful about it.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I had a wonderful experience when I first encountered Carrington Mortgage Services. My Agent Lori ** is wonderful. She always educated me on the process and everything that was happening. She contacted me and informed at every turn. I could ask any question and as many questions as I have and she would answer every one. Love her. We need more customer service like her.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Throughout the refinancing of my home mortgage, I worked with professional, knowledgeable people who were always able and available to answer my questions no matter how stupid. Vanessa ** was especially helpful. She definitely earned her pay working with me. The reason for my review and rating is because of Vanessa and others working with her.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I have worked with Carrington Mortgage for multiple refinances and a home purchase, and I couldn't be happier with the service they provided. These people are real, always been incredibly fast and responsive to my needs. They also have great connections with local title companies which can really speed up the closing process. I've always felt confident that I'm getting a good rate because of their help.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Where to begin with Carrington Mortgage services... My loan was sold to them earlier this year and I purchased my house a little over 3 years ago, I have never missed a payment up until this summer. I contacted customer service and told them I was unable to make a full payment, they reassured me that it would be ok and that I could do a repayment where they would break that 1 month payment up over the next 3 months. The following month I called in to make a payment but to later find out that the amount I paid was not the correct amount. SO now I had someone call me and tell me that my account is 60 days past due and the last 2 payments that I made were not applied to my account instead they are sitting in an escrow until the total amount due is paid in full.

Now it's been 2 months that I have been going round and round with them. I call yesterday to make a $1200 payment to what I thought was going to catch me up but now they refused to take my $1200 payment and said I now owe over $1700 from all the fees my account has accrued. I would of never had these fees if they would of just applied the 2 previous payments and not have them sitting in an escrow fund. I don't know how it is legal for them to refuse to accept a payment or have funds sitting there now being applied to my account. This company is the worst and has now ruined my credit score over the last 2-3 months! I am going to see what I can do to get away from this lender as fast as possible.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

In March of 2017 I was approved for loan mod with Bank of America. We had been through ringer with them. They had set our house to be sold on 1 November 2016. We started a chapter 13 bankruptcy as the only means we had to block the sale of our house. We had previously attempted to do a loan mod to make everything right with our Mortgage. My wife and I both had become disabled since we bought the house. They finally approved the loan mod in March. I told my lawyer we could forgo the 13 because we no longer needed to do it because the loan mod was now in place. So in May we converted a chapter 7. In April our loan was transferred to Carrington. In early May our homeowners put a lien on our house for approximately $2000 because they did not want it discharged under the 7. Carrington wrote me and told me there was an issue with the title and that our loan mod could be in jeopardy.

I worked out a payment plan with the HOA to get the lien lifted in October, and wrote Carrington to see if the plan would suffice to remedy the title issue. They did not respond to calls or emails. The last part of June Carrington sent me a letter stating that my loan mod had been revoked and I was reverting back to the previous mortgage. Because of the lien. I got the lien lifted and wrote and called Carrington and ask them to reinstate the loan mod. They told me all I could do is reapply for the loan mod. What started out as a $3000 problem had grown into a $31000 problem and once they found out that our chapter 7 was discharged they once again started the process of coming after our house.

They made no attempt with me to help clear up the situation with the lien. They never gave me any dates stating if I did not have it resolved they would revoke the loan mod. I asked many times to speak to a manager or person in high authority to resolve the situation and they would not let. I once again had refile 13 to protect us from Carrington taking my house. I believe their only interest is to take our house and not to honor a contract that was made for the loan mod in good faith that I made all the payments on time. This is very evil and it seems like this is how they do business. They should be ashamed of themselves. People work long and hard to buy their homes, to take person house of a small sum of $2000 is woeful. With no effort let the person remedy the situation. I spent 29 years in the Military so I could buy this house and now they are trying to take it.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Excellent mortgage broker, highly recommended! The process went smoothly and the broker worked really hard to close within 30 days. Everyone that I worked with were highly knowledgeable and have a high sense of value- nothing, but great service. I would highly recommend Carrington Mortgage to anyone planning to purchase a home or a refinancing needs. In my case, I have had nothing less than an excellent experience. Thank you so much.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Two thumbs up for this company. The broker was so easy to work with and very helpful. He was also very responsive to my emails and my questions were answered including my concerns. Most importantly, he saves me from the hustle and bustle.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I accidentally sent them my student loan payment on top of sending my mortgage payment for September. I called and asked if I could just have the payment sent in error counted towards my October mortgage and I'll just pay the difference. They told me that I would have to pay the balance in full before they could do it (which I had no problem with), but they were going to charge me $20 to take the payment by phone because the online system does not allow you to pay ANYTHING LESS than the full balance due (and there is a $5.00 fee to pay it online).

I told the service rep I'm not paying Carrington $20 to take money from me and that I'd send a bill paycheck for the remainder. However, the rep then told me it takes up to 15 business days for them to reverse the error payment. That means I'll probably still be hit with a $35-$40 late fee because they didn't have the entire amount coded in THEIR systems in time!!! I've had nothing but headaches since my mortgage changed from Chase to Carrington. I hate this company and wish to God I could go back to Chase!!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

My husband is in the army and we decided we would put some feelers out to see if we were at a point yet with our credit that we could buy a home here in Colorado. PCS Partners put me in contact with Carrington Mortgage LLC since they are a company that works with people with lower credit scores. Right off the bat I mentioned that my husband's student loans were currently being disputed with the department of education and asked if that would be a problem... Carrington said, "No problem. We can definitely work around that." They gave us a preapproval and we started the process of buying a home, put offer in, went under contract, paid for inspections and 1 week before closing we were informed that their underwriter would not let us proceed due to the school loan situation. All along the way I was checking in with them and kept being told everything was looking great and going smoothly... Then BAM...

They wouldn't follow through with our loan. But what really grinds my gears is the fact that when our realtor called them out on this whole situation they had the audacity to say that I had not mentioned the school loan situation prior to even receiving the preapproval in order to cover their butts. From what I have heard this is a common thing happening over and over with them. They need to be held accountable for their actions. If they can't finance someone they should just say, "Hey that's not something we can do." But in the end we dodged a bullet and I am so happy we found a better lender! Shame on you Carrington Mortgage for being dishonest and treating military members like chopped liver.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

This is my second review of Carrington. I am a US Army veteran with excellent credit whose loan was purchased by Carrington from Bank of America. They now are Charging me a $5 convenience fee for making an online payment. I currently have two other home loans thru other banks, there is no convenience fee on their sites. I sent an email to their resolution center... Surprise... No reply. Carrington Mortgage is absolutely terrible... STAY AWAY.

Carrington Mortgage Services Company Information