2.73/5
Based on 118 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

700 Carrington Mortgage Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 18, 2018

Impressive! I am pretty much happy with the experience I had with the Carrington Mortgage Service. The company went beyond our expectations and did a great job of handling our refinance process. The agents were absolutely professional, very accommodating and the communication was fantastic! Fast and such an excellent experience! Provided us with everything we needed and we can't say enough how great the service was. We always felt like we mattered. Thank you so much.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Great experience I had so far! Working with Carrington made our refinancing more easy and very convenient. They were able to respond to our calls and emails promptly and they were very fair and extremely professional. Much better service than other mortgage companies I dealt with. I am extremely satisfied with my experience with this company and would love to recommend them!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 6, 2018

Very quick and easy loan process! Working with Carrington staffs was fantastic. I am very amazed with the quality of service received and they were able to answer all questions asked. Was able to refinance our house within a couple of weeks and extremely pleased. Thank you so much!

Original review: July 5, 2018

I had a fire to my home in December 2017. I contacted the Loss Claims Department and filled out the proper paperwork to rebuild. I've been trying to get an inspection done from Carrington for 3 weeks and no one can provide me with a supervisor. I've also been given an advocate email with no response for over a week. My contractor has halted work because of this. They are holding a large amount of my insurance money. A considerable amount more than what is my mortgage. Totally unacceptable.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Carrington Mortgage took over my loan from Bank of America July 2016. January 2017 I was unemployed but manage to make my mortgage payment through March. April was unable to make payment, I was hired in April, received my first check 05/18/18, made my April payment. I told Carrington Mortgage I will make 2 payments in June. I received 2 letter the same letter from Carrington stating Notice of Intent to Foreclosure. They sent this letter when you are 30 days delinquent. Today 06/21/18 I received a letter typed on my first door after telling this me they will have 2 payment on 06/29/2018.

I would not do business with this mortgage company. They are horrible. I take this type of action as harassment and attempting to intimidate the customers if you are 30 to 60 days delinquent. I have worked in the mortgage industry and we didn't send Notice of Intent letter until the customer are 90 days delinquent. If you are having any type of problems with your mortgage company file a complaint with the Department of Justice (DOJ) and there are other companies you can file your complaint. If you keep silent these types of company continue to mistreat people. Speak up and complain.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrington Mortgage Services?

Original review: June 21, 2018

Carrington Mortgage preys upon those who have lower credit scores, they will try to take advantage of you especially if you appear to be desperate. I was one of those desperate people, around 2 weeks ago, I applied to get a loan with them and when I sent the paperwork to be looked at by a real estate lawyer he told me to run. I have a VA. They wanted to put me in a FHA with an interest rate of almost 12% for 30 years.

I only have 13 years left on my house, when I calculated the price up I would have paid over $333,000 for a house whose value is around $115,000. Therefore, I decided to tell the loan officer I was no longer interested. They still gave my number to an appraiser who tried to schedule an appointment and I told the appraiser I was no longer interested. Ever since I told this company I am no longer interested they have continued to pull my credit, which has caused my scores to go down 30 points. If you have poor or bad credit stay away from this company. They will make your situation worse than it is.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Carrington Mortgage bought my mortgage from Bank of America in Feb 2018. When I went to pay my first payment with Carrington, they didn't even have an account number for me. They said to put my BOA account number on my check. I had to mail a check because they did not have my account online. When I finally was assigned an account number and went to make my next payment online, they charge a $5.00 fee to pay your mortgage online. They charge a fee for every kind of way to make your payment unless you send a check to them or have auto draft. I signed up for auto draft for the next payment. She I scheduled the next payment, my normal monthly payment showed what I had been paying for over a year.

Since this was my first auto draft, I checked my mortgage account a few days before it was to be taken out of my bank account and the monthly fee was $60.00 higher than what I had posted for and taken out of my bank account. I called Carrington and was told they decided they wanted a certain amount of back up equity and since it wasn't there they decided to increase my loan monthly charge by $60l00 a month. I never got a notice about this. I was signed up for email notices. So I cancelled auto draft and told them I was going to refinance my loan with a mortgage company I could trust and actually feel comfortable with. I spoke with a local mortgage company and was able to refinance my loan and get away from Carrington.

My loan was paid off on May 29, 2018 with Carrington. They still owed me my escrow balance of $1,458.67. Since I never trusted this incompetent mortgage company, I checked every day to make sure they showed my loan as paid and what my escrow balance was. I emailed it all to me and my husband. So today June 11, 2018, I checked my escrow balance and it was lowered by $45.74. I did an internet chat with one of their people and was told I was charged out of the escrow they owed me for HUD insurance that was for 6/05/18. They said it is a legal charge. So how can it be a legal charge for a loan that has no balance???

They lie and screw you over every chance they get. BELIEVE the bad reviews!!! I have experienced a lot of the same things. We asked May 30, 2018 when we could expect our escrow check and was told within 15 days which we gave only business days (should be this week?). So I told the chat lady that our check should have already been mailed, she said, "No. We have 15 days to mail it to you." So with only business days included they don't have to mail our check until June 19, 2018. PEOPLE DO NOT DEAL WITH THESE CROOKS!!! If you can get out and stay away from them!!!

Original review: June 11, 2018

Great service! Extremely friendly and they were able to answer all our questions and responds to our calls and emails in a convenient way. Everything went smoothly and never had any problem working with the employees from Carrington. I am extremely impressed with the service, they were very quick, proficient, honest and very reliable. I thank everyone who help us with refinancing our home and can't say enough how grateful we were for having this company!

Original review: June 6, 2018

This was a standout amongst other experiences we've had! The staff who took care of us were very knowledgeable and were very easy to reach by phone or email. They really made the whole process easy and stress-free. Decided to purchase a new house and this company was able to help us with ease. Thank you so much Carrington!

Original review: June 4, 2018

Don't use this company. They are unprofessional and do not help their customers, they put you in a negative state just to approve you for a loan mod. Credit report tanked over 100 points. Stay away from them, they're crooks.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Positive experience. A great company with, very extremely expert, prompt and honest employees. Gave us a good advice about purchasing our new home and was dependably receptive to my calls and emails, also returned my messages quick as could be expected under the circumstances. I had an incredible experience with the whole process and so far had no problem with the service they provide!

Original review: June 1, 2018

It was truly a pleasant experience having this company help us with our home loan. My wife and I decided to refinance our home and the people who assisted us from start to finish made the entire process significantly less stressful than I thought it would be. We had been extremely satisfied with the experience we had with Carrington Mortgage. They've been very helpful and professionally - they did an amazing job.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Carrington mortgage are horrible liars. I was told I would receive a call from the company about my lien release almost a month ago and I received nothing. My loan was paid in full and 3 months ago still a damn lien!!! Stay away from this company!!!

Original review: May 23, 2018

I gave them 1 star, because 0 stars are possible. My mortgage was sold to these people by BoA. I have no issues before but now they seem to try everything to keep you from paying your mortgage. I was told that the transition would be easy and the terms would all remain the same, such **. When asking to escalate a call to management or a supervisor they ask you to fax the request and someone will return your call, everything is recorded (according to them) but you have to fax to request a transcript of conversations, they are quick to want to know your financial status --> why? Because they are banking on a foreclosure. I now have to Western Union my payments because they won't take them over the phone, online or by check. And credit is posted to your account a day late... DO NOT do business with this company!! And if you are stuck, like me, seek to refinance with a more legitimate, customer-friendly company like I am doing now.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Had issue with this company since day one with my escrow. It feels like nobody in the service department knows anything about how escrow works. In March I received an email that my mortgage went up $500 because they miscalculated my escrow last year. Even after running my analysis several time they kept telling me that I came short of the property tax. Apparently, they used my 2016 prorated rate for my 2017 property tax, which they had to add the difference they paid in 2018 escrow.

However, they told me that the shortage was 3,414 because my property tax came to be 4,497 which is inaccurate. Kept telling them that my 2017 taxes are exactly the same as my 2018. They told me I had to get supporting documents from the city to prove my property tax. I was able to obtain these documents in 30 min, but it's annoying that I am doing their job once again. At this point I feel that they are committing fraud by charging me $1000 more than what I owe.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I would recommend Carrington Mortgage Service without any hesitation. Everyone was fantastic, easy to deal with, professional and very trustworthy. They were very helpful during the whole process of refinancing our house. It was absolutely a pleasure working with this company and they were able to help us the way through. Thank you so much!

Original review: May 15, 2018

Not the best mortgage company in terms of helpfulness of their staff. My mortgage was sold to Carrington Mortgage in 2016. The first issue we had with them was that no one from Carrington told us that they do not use our escrow money to pay our HOA bill. Bank of America did this, and we were told by Carrington that nothing in terms of payment amounts, escrow, etc. would change. We were then hit with a late fee from our HOA company because Carrington did not use our escrow money for it. When I asked Carrington to reimburse me my late fee, the associate said Bank of America would need to that because they misinformed me. This is completely incorrect, I was hit with a late fee because Carrington did not communicate this.

Another issue I've had with Carrington is the absolute nightmare I have had trying to setup auto payments. I set up auto payments with my old bank account over the phone, and then shut them down because I switched banks. When I called to do this, I was told that they couldn't set up auto payments with the new account because it would take 3 business days to complete the shut down of the old account. I went online to set them up, but the confirm letter I received after doing this was for a much higher amount than I entered on the online form. I never agreed to pay that amount, I know for a fact I entered my mortgage amount.

After canceling that, I tried to call back to set up auto payments for the correct amount with my current bank and was told that there was no way they could set up auto payments over the phone, even though I am certain I did this previously with my old account. I was told that since I did not want to do the online form, I would have to get a form in the mail, complete it and fax it back. Auto payments would then take another month to process. They make the auto payment process so difficult because they charge a $5 convenience fee to make a one time mortgage payment online, and they are attempting to get as many of those out of me as possible. I am so dissatisfied with Carrington Mortgage because their customer service is abysmal!!

Original review: May 11, 2018

Bank of America sold my mortgage to this less than competent company back in 2017. They messed my escrow account up and have me paying an additional $140 a month. I called to have them fix this and to see if they would take a partial, smaller, payment at the old rate BoA had. They said their systems weren't set up to accept partial payments. BS, I find it hard to believe that a company of this size does not have that capability. That being said, we are now 30 days into the initial phone call about their error and still have no resolution.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Ed from Las Vegas is exactly right with his review. They will not allow you to make early payments or additional payments to pay your mortgage earlier. They will only delay and stall you until you just quit and they take more of your money. Carrington bought my mortgage from Chase and I have no choice but to get ripped off by them. I haven't had my home long enough to have enough equity to get refinanced so I'm literally stuck with these vampires. Tomorrow I'm calling the attorney general in my state to file a complaint. STAY AWAY FROM CARRINGTON MORTGAGE AT ALL COSTS! They will bleed you for as long as they can and the customer service is equally as bad.

Original review: May 3, 2018

DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY. GET AWAY FROM THEM AS SOON AS YOU CAN. They will charge you fees, update their computer system slowly so that there is no accurate response and will not allow you to get your mortgage paid down early then make every excuse as to why their systems are not updating properly. These people do not care about you. They will pretend not to receive your payment and will attempt to foreclose on your property. My loan was sold by Bank of America to Carrington Mortgage Services 3 years ago (they were almost just as bad). If you can find a new lender who treats you with respect, I highly recommend you jump ship as soon as you can. These people are in the business of making money by any means necessary. Even if that means kicking you to the street. They are not to be trusted!

Updated on [05/04/2018]: While on the phone with Carrington, for the 4th time today... they straight hung up on me. BTW... now they say extra payments I have made (which I want to go to principal) will be applied to future monthly payments. What normal thinking individual wants to put extra money on monthly payments and not the principal to make future payments more effective? Their system booted me off at 5 pm exactly while speaking to a customer representative! Did they call back? Not a chance. Tell me, "Is this the kind of company you want representing one of your largest assets?"

Original review: May 1, 2018

I have been working with Mr. Aaron ** at Carrington Mortgage. He has been assisting me in saving my 26 year home. Mr. ** has been nothing other than superb. I know there are many negative reports of mortgage companies not helping homeowners save their home but, with Carrington, that is not the case. Not only, with the assistance of Mr. **, but with the true compassion of Carrington Mortgage, my family and I still have a home. If you are in the market to purchase your dream home or refinance, go with Carrington Mortgage. You will not find a better company or a better group of people that truly understands. Sometimes life happens beyond our control. Thank you to Carrington Mortgage and Aaron ** for all your assistance.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I can genuinely say that I had an amazing experience with Carrington Mortgage Services and they never fail to amaze me. I am currently refinancing our home and these guys are truly a great help. Smooth transaction, it was done in an extremely professional and convenient way.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I bought my home in 2008 and the loan was transferred a few times until it got to Bank of America. My payments were on time and current. I requested to go through HARP to lower my monthly payments due to a change of income and was able to do so. However they would only lower the payment a minimum amount and tell you to apply again and they will lower it again. I had to do this process two times until they lowered it to a more affordable payment; therefore a total of 6 payments were supposed to be put at the "end of the loan." Now B of A. employed Carrington Mortgage Services to service the loan; receive payments; address concerns etc... And they have put all 9 required payments back into the loan and are in the process of foreclosure stating "WE determine when it's the end of your loan and you either pay the "forgiveness missed payments" or we will foreclose."

UPDATE ON 06/30/2018: Due to their dishonesty and putting the required HARP missed payments for refinancing back into the current loan (as they were to be put at the END OF THE TERM OF YOUR LOAN) I recognized I needed to sell my home as they attempted to foreclose on my home. Once they were contacted by my realtor they hurried up and started foreclosure procedures so I could not receive the full amount I would receive from the sale of my home. THEY ARE THIEVES!!! Therefore if they have received all missed payments, my loan was brought current; therefore they can't foreclose but they indicate they are still going to foreclose. Why???

Original review: April 20, 2018

This company is horrible and a nightmare to families. They received and deposited an electronic payment I sent thru my bank and they never reflect the payment on my account. In other words, they are NOT crediting payments, and dates to show that your mortgage payment was received/made. I'm in the process of contacting RESPA, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, etc. My loan has never been late and payments has always been paid months ahead. So, I DO NOT have any bankruptcy issues. My loan was sold to Carrington through BOA and it has been a total nightmare.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I recently sold my house this month... Lost my husband almost 2 years ago. Dealing with this company has been but an out of control circle. The sale closed on Apr 16th, the money wired on Apr 18th - after a new issue from them on the 17th. They are still cold calling me demanding payment and/or foreclosure. They faxed my payoff info to a number in MN, I live in AZ... They keep changing my payoff - for whatever reason - and rejecting the wire. My house closed on Apr 16th! My issue caused by their incompetence has "been escalated", I'm afraid to who & what will happen next. Stay far, far away from this juggernaut of incompetence called Carrington Mortgage Services.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Excellent! I had a great experience with the Carrington Mortgage Services! The service was exceptional. Very convenient and they made the whole process uncomplicated. They made sure I had everything I needed to complete the whole process. I highly recommend these guys!

Original review: April 16, 2018

Carrington was truly a great help when refinancing our house. The whole process was very easy and convenient! I couldn't be happier with the service we received from them! The staff was very responsive, friendly, hardworking and professional. They were able to answer all my questions thoroughly and very knowledgeable. I highly recommend them!

Original review: April 11, 2018

Avoid at all costs. Loose paperwork lie about fees and will ruin your credit report. I did not choose them but they were forced on me after my loan originators sold my loan to them. They forced an insurance policy on me even though I have one and when problems arose, their insurance didn’t cover costs and I wasn’t out of a lot of money. Do yourself a favor and look somewhere else.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Carrington Mortgage Service purchased my account from Bank of America in June 2017 without notice. I was in the middle of a modification with BOA when Carrington was sending me statements. At the same time BOA was responding to my paperwork and sending me more paperwork to fill out. Finally started dealing with Carrington in August and applying for a modification. In the process I get served with foreclosure papers. I call the law firm and Carrington to find out what the deal is?? They said I was missing paperwork, so they decided to foreclose. In the end I was not missing paperwork, I email all of my paperwork to them, because unlike other mortgage companies, they're too cheap to use FedEx... I live in Maryland, they're in California.

Since August it has been nothing but a headache! They not only filed for foreclosure in 1 county which is on public record, but they filed a foreclosure in a county I don’t even live in, which is now on public record, since then they withdrew. They are not willing or able to service anyone’s account. They're just filing foreclosures on people. I have contacted a forensic audit lawyer to go over the BOA loan, that I truly think is illegal from 2008. I also will be filing a motion against the law firm and Carrington mortgage for violating my rights on their foreclosure paperwork. Funny that all the good reviews on this company are coming from the state of CA...hhhmm. This company needs to be shut down. I say we all do a class action suit against them.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Carrington Mortgage Service was truly a great help for refinancing our house. The whole process with them was very easy and convenient! I couldn't be happier with the service we received from them! The staffs were very responsive, friendly, hardworking and professional. They were able to answer all my questions thoroughly and the staffs were very knowledgeable. I highly recommend them!

Carrington Mortgage Services Company Information