Find a Loan Modification partner

Take a Financial Relief Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

Carrington Mortgage Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrington Mortgage Services?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrington Mortgage Services?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

Our mortgage was just sold to Carrington and I had no idea how good we had it! Look forward to paying a $5 fee every month just to pay your bill and don’t expect any information on early pay off unless you own a fax machine. Completely unbelievable how antiquated this company is - you’ll have to call in for everything…

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

They were very patient and every time we called about any questions was always there to help and answer. Answered my emails fast. Very professional. Overall I had a very good experience with them and Highly recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

I sent my mortgage check via mail, as I have for almost 10 years. I sent it two weeks and they "haven't gotten it". I said, "So you wait for the grace period to cash it to charge me the late fee." So, not only do I have to pay online to make a payment but I also have to do a stop pay because Carrington will also cash the check even if I pay online. I'm getting screwed because these animals won't cash my check. Who does that?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

Maricela is a true gem. She was very helpful and considerate to our situation. I believe in Carrington Mortgage as a homeowner's partner and not just a mortgage company. If Maricela ** is representative of all Carrington Mortgage employees, then all under the Carrington Mortgage umbrella are safe to know that they have a partner in their corner that understands the plight that honest homeowners are going through during these unprecedented times. A partner that will go out of their way to help homeowners to work through this difficult time and get back on their feet.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Belinda made me feel like she actually cared about my situation, and I felt that she really wanted to help find the best solution for my family's needs. Very informative and full of helpful suggestions. She answered all my questions I had at that time. I wish there were more people like her to talk to, especially when dealing with something as big as a Morgage. I would say, even though my situation is stressful, Belinda made it seem possible to get my behind Mortgage problem fixed. I definitely think if there is a person who deserves special recognition, it should be Belinda!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

We recently refinanced our house and were working with Tyler **, Senior Loan Officer at Carrington Mortgage Services. At first we were impressed by their offer - until we shopped around. They tried charging us an extra $7,500 in fees compared to other lenders. Their process was not transparent - using "non-refundable" lender credits. Loan estimates were wildly inaccurate. They also had a hard time understanding offers from other companies. Our experience with Tyler was good, he explained the limitations of Carrington's system. The problem is clearly with Carrington's processing, not Tyler.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Your Best Catch Recommendation: Richmond, TX, I was very pleased working with Chad N. a Sr. Loan Officer with Carrington, Mortgage. Chad approached me making me aware and providing detail how Carrington Mortgage could give me different options on loans to help me financially. Chad gave me confidence and trust in making this decision. Thanks Chad N.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

My mortgage was purchased by Carrington back in August of 2021, I told this company that I was a 100% disabled veteran who tax exempt, I provided all my documents and even proof from the Dallas County Tax office, they told me that their analysis department will run a check and will let me know what my new monthly mortgage rate would be in 15 days. Well today I called because I'm still being charged the full amount and was told that in will take 90 more days. This is unacceptable to customers and and to the veteran community. I want all my over payments back.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

This "financial institution" legally obtained my loan. The first year they neglected to pay my property taxes. Some time later I was hospitalized and was unable to work for 6 months. I called, and emailed, begged and pleaded but was denied mortgage assistance even though they supposedly have a "Mortgage Asistance Program". They began foreclosure and I got a pay off amount. I had to be bailed out by my parents. I obtained a cashier's check and the next day the amount I owed went up another 500. No real explanation for this. I paid the full amount including the extra 500. I continue to make my payments on time for a over a year, but unknown to me, there was another 400 in fees not included or mentioned in any way during my phone calls and payments. That 400 ballooned into $1200.

I filed a dispute and of course they found no wrong doing. That $1200 was stolen from me. I continue to make on time payments except one week I made my payment 1 day too early and they took it as an additional payment rather than the monthly payment. As soon as I noticed this I called them. They said it would be taken care of, and was being sent to a manager. 4 months later I continue to get late fee notices and am told "It is sitting on a managers desk." I fully believe their plan is to keep ignoring me and hope I forget and just pay them more money. If your bank sells your loan to Carrington, refinance immediately! THIS COMPANY NEEDS TO BE SUED OUT OF EXISTENCE.

Original review: July 22, 2021

We have (unfortunately) been customers of Carrington for 6 years, for a rental property that we have. And everytime we have to have any communication with them, it's nothing but frustration. Customer service is literally the worst I've ever had to deal with. Avoid this company at all costs. They still require SNAIL MAIL AND FAX for communication and documentation. In 2021, in COVID times, you have to request by phone and then WAIT 3 days or more for documents to be mailed to you if you don't have a freaking fax machine (like normal people, who use email and online portals). It's like stepping back in time to 1995.

This last time when I was informed that I had to wait 3 days for them to put said document in the mail, even though I'm on a serious time crunch, the rep was unapologetic and rude, made no effort to help speed things along or find another solution. Which is their way. They don't give a flying crap about their customers. We'll be leaving Carrington soon, just to rid ourselves of this company, I will gladly pay a higher interest rate somewhere else.

Original review: July 15, 2021

I did not select this mortgage company. My mortgage loan was sold from Chase Bank. I have been on a automatic payment withdrawal for the life of this loan, over 11 years. I also pay an extra payment each month. I updated my account to have more withdrawn to pay off this loan even faster. As a result of making a change the automatic payment skipped a month, unbeknownst to me. I find out through American Express credit monitoring service. That Carrington has reported a missing payment. I call Carrington and the lack of professionalism and knowledge is just flooring. They tell me I have a credit because off my extra payment, but I also have a missing payment. What logic does that make? When I increased the automatic payment there is no notification that tells you to make a payment incase the payment skips... the worse part is I asked about being notified. Why didn't anyone call me.

The rep said, "The computer called you twice but you didn't answer." I ask why there was not voicemail and the rep says, "We don't leave a voicemail .." So am I suppose to know whose number is calling me unknown??? I know that every company has its pros and cons but this company is just horrific to deal with.. As a consumer who has paid their mortgage in an accelerated fashion it's kind boggling to me. There are people who have missed payments and there was no reporting to the credit agency. I have an error 1 time in 11 years and look at the mess. I am now searching to refinance with another company as I don't want to give Carrington anything extra!!!! If you have a choice there are too many great companies to choose from. Stay away from this one!!!! However if you are okay with Mediocrity and No customer Service, Go with Carrington.

Original review: July 14, 2021

I am set for bi-monthly payments, 1st and 15th of every month. I keep getting harassing letters from them saying my full payment hasn’t been received and I’ll be charged a late fee. Rep says she can’t stop the letters even though I pay bi monthly. This stresses me out, their system should recognize the payments (I never had this issue with my previous mortgage company). I shouldn’t get a letter every month saying my payments are late and I’m getting charged late fees when that’s not true.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I have been in the process of refinancing our Mortgage with Carrington. In so doing, I have come to work with an outstanding gentleman by the name of Zane **. Zane has been wonderful. He has been extremely helpful and takes whatever time is necessary to ensure we understand the entire process and all of our options. Any company should count itself fortunate to have him and customers can look forward to the very best of service.

Original review: July 2, 2021

Dawn ** is keeping me updated on everything going on with refinancing my home. She Is being very helpful during this process seeing as how it's my first time refinancing. The holiday weekend is coming up (4th of July) and has offered her assistance if I have any questions even during the holiday weekend. Not many people would offer that help. To me that is exceptional service.

Original review: June 25, 2021

After closing a refinance at the beginning of the year Carrington Mortgage Services, LLC began charging me additional fees (late fees, and online payment fees), although my account has been set up on AUTOPAY with Carrington for years. When I contacted Carrington to address the issues they (DOUBLE BILLED MY MORTGAGE FOR THE MONTH) in retaliation. I have NEVER made a payment late because of autopay. I filed a complaint with (CFPB) Consumer Financial Protection Bureau because Carrington stopped returning my calls and refused to respond to my emails.

Original review: June 10, 2021

My mortgage was Carrington by Chase in middle of a deferment. They refused to honor agreement with chase that skipped payments were just added to end of term. Basically repayment paused and restart like those 6 months never happened. Hired an attorney, had to give authorization to speak to my legal counsel multiple times as they are inept in keeping records or simply unable to read. I ended up paying 11 months of payments at one time to avoid their asinine and utterly ridiculous loan modification. They were wanting nearly 5k of my equity (increase loans by approx 5k) and to add 30+ months to my loan term to make up for 6 deferred payments at that time.

It took 4 months to get info to attorney to be verified to make sure my current balance they claimed was correct. Now they are trying to foreclose over 2 skipped payments even though I have a USDA rural development loan and still covered by cares act. You see the name carrington or any of their dozens of other dba names run, run, run. They are unscrupulous, immoral, unethical. Their employees have little ability to comprehend. Worst company I’ve ever dealt with.

Original review: May 24, 2021

Want to say that Michelle ** should be a supervisor as she is definitely the most kind and understanding of all the associates I have dealt with from Carrington. She was very polite and very professional in my situation. Michelle is the perfect role model as a associate in customer service. Please I want to Personally thank her for being an all around great person to deal with in my difficult situation.

Original review: May 21, 2021

Nick has gone above and beyond in working our moorage, all the hard work was done by him! All the miles of paperwork and research were completed with only minimal in put from us, literally they did all the work. My wife and I thank you for an outstanding job!

Original review: May 11, 2021

Unfortunately, I recently fell for this ongoing hype about being able to refinance my mortgage for a second time with Carrington Mortgage Services, LLC. My attempt to go through this whole ordeal just turned out to be a very big disappointment which played heavily upon my emotions. In hindsight, this was, indeed, a total waste of my valuable time, effort, energy, and money. I truly did think, before engaging myself in this process, that a second refinance with Carrington could have happened because all three of my credit scores were excellent; I have never missed a payment since the beginning of my account with Carrington in 2012; all of my mortgage payments have been paid in full and on-time. Carrington just previously refinanced my mortgage in 2017 and since then, I've been steadily making home improvements.

After all requested documents were submitted and checked, I was told, on March 22, 2021, by my assigned Carrington Sr. Loan Officer (Mary from Arizona) that I could now lower my interest to 2.85% and take three and one-half years off of my current loan period. I told her I didn’t want any cash out and that I wanted to use my chosen title company from my previous 2017 Carrington refinance. Mary eventually told me that the additional closing costs would be $4,000 and that although the standard time for closing is 30-45 days, she would try to get this done much quicker if possible.

I was then told that an appraisal was necessary and that someone would call me to set this up. The appraiser (Lawrence from Chicago) did call and we set an appointment for March 25, 2021. Lawrence was 15 minutes late. He took exactly 21 minutes to do this appraisal. As he performed his quick stroll through my house and property, I did point out my most recent home improvements including: new roofing and gutters on both the house and garage; painting of doors and trim on house and garage, new basement ceiling, furnace, water heater, and a current in-progress, front and back, yard and shrubbery update project. This appraisal cost me out-of-pocket $505.00.

On March 27, 2021, I received from Carrington, in the mail, my first Payoff Statement which I felt was incorrect with its inclusion of charges for interest, late fee, PMI, etc. When I made inquiry about these charges, I was told that because there was no set time as to when my closing might be, then these charges were being included just in case they were needed. Since this became of concern to me, I went ahead and made two payments, instead of just one, on my current account to counteract the possibility of my being late or behind on any amounts that could, for some reason or another, become due before the closing. I then received several Payoff Statements all with different figures and total amounts.

On March 30, 2021, I got a congratulatory email letting me know that my home loan process was progressing to its final stages with just a few more steps before the preparation of my loan documents for signing. I was told that Mary would be contacting me as soon as she received final approval to close. In the meantime, I was to complete Carrington’s My Loan Detail Certification prior to closing. On March 31, 2021, I reported to Mary that I could not access My Loan Detail Certification. I also informed her of the increasing number of various Payoff Statements. Her email response, on April 1, 2021, was that my loan would be updated as necessary. On April 8, 2021, I received three Payoff Statements, all with different figures and totals. I emailed Mary on April 13, 2021 asking for clarity of this issue and for the date of my closing.

On April 13, 2021, Mary called. During our conversation she mentioned that she was waiting for the appraisal which I told her was already posted online. She asked had I reviewed it and I told her I had and that I thought the appraiser’s opinion wasn’t right. She told me she would call me back once she had reviewed it. On April 14, 2021, I was in a meeting and couldn’t take a call from Mary. I left voice messages/emails for her April 14-15, 2021. I received, during the late afternoon of April 15, 2021, an email from Mary stating that she would be out of the office until April 20, 2021. In regards to another pending business matter I had, I emailed Mary on April 16, 2021 to let her know that it was imperative that she let me know the status of my loan application before April 20, 2021. In response, on April 16, 2021, Mary emailed me:

Hello Debrah,

Sorry our phones are down and I’m out of office. I reviewed your loan with management and unfortunately there is nothing we can do about the low appraisal value. This is not a subjective Carrington decision. We have to use third party independent companies to determine value. I wish this worked out for you. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Mary

My inquiry that followed: "So, does this mean that Carrington is not going to do the refinance?" Mary’s last email to me on April 16, 2021: "Debrah we can’t do a refinance with the value coming in higher than what you owe. I’m sorry. But the loan is denied." **** As I said earlier, this whole matter of my trying to again refinance my Carrington mortgage really turned out to be a real disappointment which played heavily upon my emotions. Overall speaking, this whole ordeal truly ended up being an absolute total waste of a lot of my valuable time, effort, energy, and money.

Original review: April 29, 2021

This mortgage company save us from becoming homeless, we sold our house without knowing that we are not qualified coz of some misunderstanding in my husband credit score. Some mortgage company turn us down, we are so sad coz I just give birth and I have a 4yr old boy. But Carrington Mortgage give us the change to have a home and we are so thankful that they save my family from becoming homeless. Thank you Carrington Mortgage..

Original review: April 19, 2021

I can't say enough about my dealings with Ben ** my loan specialist at Carrington Mortgage. As in the past, Ben is pleasant, knowledgeable, caring, and excellent with communication. He is easy to speak with and takes the time to explain every detail of the process and answer any questions you may have. My loan processor Tiffany ** was also excellent at keeping me informed as it came time to close. She responded to my emails immediately which is not something you often find. Based on my experience, I would highly recommend them.

Original review: April 14, 2021

Carrington Mortgage helped my family and I refinance so that we could fix up my grandpa's house. Everything was done in a timely manner and I didn't have to resubmit the same paperwork 100 times. They worked with us even when our credit scores were not great. They are great with communication and their website is so easy to use! I highly recommend them!

Original review: April 8, 2021

Carrington Mortage Services, LLC refinance our Home. Mr. Jody Michael ** (Joe), did an awesome job to help us refinance our home. He is very helpful, caring, patient, willing to work with you, answer your questions so that you can understand. We I appreciate all that Mr. Jody Michael ** (Joe) has done for us.

Original review: March 5, 2021

Carrington Mortgage is the worst company to have a loan with. We live in Houston Texas. Through Harvey, Covid and recent winter storm when asking them for a little bit of help with pausing a payment at least for one month to get our finances in order - they said the only thing they can do is to offer us the forbearance option with reporting us to the credit bureau! And you all know that this reporting stain stays on your record am for at least 3 years. We’ve been with them for 5 years without any late payments and this is how they treat you. So go ahead if you want to be treated like another number contributing to their statistics!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

Travis was very friendly, always available when I called, always let me know what was going on. Had much patience with me, and his professionalism was outstanding. He Made our refinancing so simple and easy. We were very happy and very at ease to work with him through this process.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

Trust is a hard thing to gain. Mr Ben ** loan officer and Ms Alisha ** were able to inspire trust with their confident, knowledgeable quick responses and guidance through the whole process. Very good experience working with them.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

From start to finish both Ben ** (loan officer) Debra ** (loan processor) were very responsive, pleasant and helpful. Anytime I had a question it was answered right away usually within an hour or two, but never longer than a day even over the weekend. Ben was really clear on what was needed and walked me through the process. The online submission system worked really well and was easy to use. Carrington was very cost competitive and ended up saving me quite a bit over the other two other loan quotes I got. I would definitely recommend both Ben and Debra personally as well as Carrington.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

My mortgage was sold by Chase to Carrington Mortgage.... a few months before my HUD PMI should have been dropped. I contacted Carrington, in writing, to ensure that they were going to remove my PMI in November, 2020. Yes, they would be doing that. Well, they didn't. When I called I was told that my escrow was short $700. When I asked to explain to me why, since I hadn't received any notice of that, and I've never been short in escrow, the customer service rep. hung up on me. Long story short, I talked to 5 people, and was told I'd have to wait until January for them to do an analysis of my mortgage and they would determine at that time if my PMI would be dropped. My mortgage is lower than was is required by HUD. I received different information from all 5 customer reps I talked to. I am filing a complaint, but I'm sure that will go nowhere! What a joke of a company.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

This experience can best be described as what NOT to do, an epic disappointment. The only positive I can find is that the people I spoke with were friendly. The beginning was fine. I had purchased this home July 2019 with Carrington as the mortgage carrier. Many companies were contacting me about refinancing and one day Carrington reached out and my interest happened to be piqued.

When I first spoke with the loan originator, it sounded so easy, so pain-free, so quick, so streamlined. Carrington already had the original mortgage. What could possibly go wrong? I had told them I didn’t want to come out of pocket for anything. Somehow, a new appraisal was required for the tune of $550. After a year, I have no idea why this couldn’t be waived, yet I acquiesced.

Moving forward. In this super easy streamlined refinance, I wasn’t required to provide bank statements, just the normal pay stubs and two years of taxes and W-2’s. I sent them away and soon, the under-writer chimes in requiring a copy of my divorce decree. Already this is interesting since there is no discernable way to tell I was I ever married. The taxes are all under my name as single and the children are listed with me. Offended doesn’t even begin to describe my feelings. I have no idea why my being married or not matters.

Of course, I ask the originator why and am told the under-writer wants to know the dates of the marriage and to see if I’m receiving child support or alimony. I tell the originator I feel the under-writer needs to be educated because 1) if I were currently married I couldn’t file taxes single 2) alimony has to be reported on taxes 3) it doesn’t matter if I’m married; he isn’t on the loan. Time passes and I think of even more reasons this is ridiculous. I find myself now under magically communicating with the loan processor. I have no idea how I’ve ended up here and have to ask her why I have her now.

Now that I have a new person, I go through my aforementioned frustration of the divorce decree along with my additional reasons of why this shouldn’t be required, namely 1) it wouldn’t matter if I received child support 2) it wouldn’t matter if I received alimony, I requested the loan be processed based on the income I provided, which would be my salary.

Now, the story changes and I am told the under-writer has requested this information to see if I am responsible for paying child support or alimony. Granted, this does make more sense. However, I would have disclosed this on my list of expenses. The loan processor tells me I’m lucky the under-writer accepted the decree in the manner I had furnished it because I had blacked out the names of the attorneys, as well as my ex-husband. I can assure you, one needs to know my ex’s name, nor the attorneys present.

On another note, I was not required to provide this very personal document the first time the company processed the loan. The rules for the under-writers should be the same. As far as I can tell, this is an under-writer on some power trip who is gathering unnecessary documentation because he has the “power” to do so, at a great cost to me.

The under-writer continues to puppet the process and now demands contact information for my previous employer since I changed jobs last June. Again, information the company had when they first processed the loan. Apparently, the tax returns and W-2’s were insufficient for him to make a logical conclusion. I was able to provide my hire letter and exit interview, showing my dates of employment.

Finally, the closing date is set. I am relieved. I have had enough anger, embarrassment, and shed enough tears by now. The day has finally come, and I will be free, or so I thought. The CD is in, the witness is present, the attorney is present. All the papers get signed and everyone is happy. I’m getting money back and that’s always nice. The closing was on Wednesday, 14 October 2020. On 15 October 2020, my account is debited for the original mortgage. Here we go again. How bizarre, I think. This should have been completed at closing, when the house was paid off. I figure Carrington will catch it right away and refund the money. No.

The following Tuesday, a check arrives. It isn’t for the full amount of what I’m to get back, but I think to myself, well this must be because I make bi-weekly payments. The other check is sure to follow. Wrong again. On 21 October 2020, a week after closing, I receive an email from Carrington. It’s a revised CD. No explanation, except it’s revised and to retain for my records. I notice that my payment amount has increased and the money I was to be getting back has changed. It’s now for the check I received the day before.

This can’t be right, a CD can’t change once the house has closed, can it? I start to research, then I call a friend I have in real estate to confirm my research, and then finally the attorney. No, the CD can’t change. The attorney says if Carrington made a mistake, it’s up to them to fix it. I have signed documents; they’re notarized. How can I be held to something I didn’t agree to?

I contact the loan processor, who was equally surprised. She agrees the CD can’t change and doesn’t know what to do. After some research, she finds I should have only received the amount of the check. The CD was wrong, but the attorney is right, it can’t change, but she doesn’t know what to do. She’ll call back. She doesn’t. I follow up the next day with an email and ask about the erroneous payment. I end up getting a back from the originator. A mistake was made. It’s Carrington’s fault. The long and short is I have no recourse, except through litigation. I’m thinking, surely the company could refund the cost of the appraisal, something to make this right.

The originator says he can expedite getting the escrow from the original loan back to me. I must explain how this is not in my favor. Calculator in hand, I walk him through the numbers and explain that he needs to transfer those funds into the new loan, so my escrow doesn’t wind up short. I won’t go into the antagonizing detail of those conversations. The erroneous payment? I should instruct the bank to cancel the ACH payments. Again, not a smart move since my mortgage won’t get paid at all. Carrington needs to handle that on their end with the independent loan numbers. I hear it’s being handled. The next day, he realizes the payment was erroneous and sometime, I’ll get that money back.

As of now, almost two weeks after closing, an escrow analysis is still occurring and I’ll hear back soon, and I am assured that the payment will be lower and at that point I’ll have another revised CD. Being that I am not in the mortgage industry, I look to them for guidance and advice. Certainly, there are things I am not aware of. However, I don’t feel like I should shoulder the responsibility of providing information about escrow payments and transfers, payments, and CDs. The rules for underwriters should be the same.

A month later, I receive refund check for the escrow, despite the fact that I specifically it be transferred to the new loan. I also learn that the erroneous payment has somehow found its way into the escrow, no notice to me, and I won't be getting that money back. I'm still trying to figure out how $2,100 + $860 = $2,200, but with Carrington math, I don't think I'm getting very far. Now, they tell me I have to cash the check so I can transfer the money back to escrow. Another surprise is waiting for me. In order for me to do this online to ensure it goes to escrow, they charge me a convenience fee. Anywhere else would be better than Carrington. They lost my confidence, my trust, and my money.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

I was speaking to a loan officer out of the Anaheim office regarding a mortgage refi. I have 780+ credit score, and no accent when speaking English, so the conversation was fine for the first 15-20 minutes. The second that he found out that I am not an American citizen, he changed from a loan officer who wants new business to someone with zero interest to even continue the phone call. I asked him if he would check if and how we could proceed with the mortgage refi or shall I investigate it myself. He said "I will just say no to you right now".

Out of confusion, I called 2 other lenders just to double check whether it is the true that I can not refi with my work visa status, the answer is no problem. Finally, I called Carrington general number back and got routed to a gentlemen in the Phoenix office to ask the same question, and he said should not be an issue either, and kindly offered to check for me and let me know tomorrow.

This simply saddens me... You can make your own judgements of this person's behavior. Also, please check Carrington Mortgage Services on Glassdoor, turns out that former employees felt racism from within Carrington as well. I urge Carrington management to correct this prejudice and set a good morale to treat its employees and customers.

Carrington Mortgage Services Company Information