2.7/5 (33 ratings)

Take a Financial Relief Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

Carrington Mortgage Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrington Mortgage Services?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrington Mortgage Services?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

I contacted Carrington Mortgage Services to refinance my existing loan, upon calling I was connected to a loan officer, Ben **. He made the process so easy and so smooth. I highly recommend Ben as your loan officer. Ben was very professional, knowledgeable, kind and responsive. It was an absolute pleasure to work with Ben and the loan processor Julie **, who finalized all the paperwork in a timely manner. I was very happy with her help as well. I would refer all my family and friends for any mortgage services they made need. Very satisfied client. To Ben and Julie, It was a pleasure doing business with you! I have been so impressed by your thoroughness, detail and consideration. I appreciate everything you’ve done for my family and I. Thank you again for such a great experience.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2022

The past 19 months have been very difficult for me (COVID/medical issues) and I got behind in my mortgage payments. I was recently granted a forbearance for my mortgage and I called to see if there was anything that I needed to do and to say "Thank You!" From the moment that Belinda answered the phone I felt like I was a person and not just a loan number. She was bright and cheerful and professional in everything that she did. Belinda explained everything regarding my situation and made certain that she answered any questions that I had. I was so relieved by the end of the conversation that I became tearful (but they were tears of relief and happiness). Belinda treated me with respect and dignity. She is a true credit to your company and I look forward to working with her.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

I wanted more information on refinancing my current mortgage. Had no idea where to begin or what questions I needed to ask let alone know what answers to look for. Bridgett was very helpful and patient. Her explanations were right on mark. By the time our conversation was complete I was very confident about understanding the plan. If you find yourself needing help understanding the process of refinancing a mortgage please call Carrington Mortgage and ask for Bridget **, She's an asset to Carrington Mortgage. Mortgage holder V.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

10 stars in all area. Very professional and caring. Go far and beyond than what is asked. This is truly a company for the Veterans and Military families. Wish we had more companies out there that cares for their clients.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

15 years as a customer, struggled during covid so was on a plan. Wanted to start paying this Spring and they would not take payment until I applied again for assistance. Applied 5 times, they take a month to get back and request the same info over and over. Would not take a monthly payment from me for 6 straight months yet reported me late to credit bureaus. This torpedoed my score and no other mortgage firm will work with me. How do you refuse money and still report late? Time to call 60 minutes and 20-20.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

I called in today as a new customer to Carrington with some questions about my loan. Andrea addressed all of my concerns and provided me with additional insights that I didn't even know I needed. She was extremely helpful, understanding, patient and giving of her time: top-notch, professional service. As a new customer, this was really a great first impression of the company. If everyone else at Carrington is as helpful and pleasant as Andrea, then the company is certainly set up for great future success. Thank you Andrea! - Jason B.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

I set up payments every month by phone to come out of my account. For the month of November the rep somehow did not process my payment and now they are reporting me ONE day late to the credit bureau after two years of on time payments!!! What a joke. Their rep is incompetent and now I am going to suffer. Shopping around for a new lender. I know there is better out there!!! Pissed over a day! S. **.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

I would give them 0 stars if I could.. These people bought my mortgage, And then instead of putting my mortgage payments towards my mortgage they Put it in an unsettled fund account and then tell us that we're behind every month. We then have to call them every month to tell them it's the mortgage payment it doesn't belong in unsettled funds.. Then they are always send foreclosure notices even after we make the payments.. We have had them for 3 months and before we made our first payment they screwed up and it's been a problem since. Somehow they they are saying that we owe an extra $500 but can't Provide where this goes or why we're behind $500 when we pay every month on time. These people are refusing to transfer our service to another mortgage. They seriously earthly need to be held responsible for something because this is ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2021

This collection agency bought our loan from another company last year though we have never paid even one day late. When I asked their CS why they bought our loan and they denied that they are a collection agency yet it says so in their welcome recording on the phone. It has been a year now and they still don't report to credit agencies, so our perfect payments are not reported. I would not have chosen this company and it's unfortunate that they bought our loan.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2021

I am a 70 year old handicapped woman that was having trouble with my payments since my husband died. My s. s. money changed. I lost when he died so asking Carrington to help me by lowering my payment. They said no. My son was willing to co sign for me if I could refinance. Anything would help. I didn’t want to lose my house. Well they said no to all. Then covid hit so they said I didn’t have to make payments till we saw what they’d do about covid. They would put me on a Modification so I agreed. Well two weeks later there were Sheriffs at my door to foreclose on my house. So I called Carrington begging them crying, "Please I don’t want to lose my home." I hired a lawyer and went to court. Got me nowhere and they give me 10 days to get out!!

Here I was handicapped, nowhere to go, no money, lawyer took it all! I had to stay with a friend or the streets. They took my house right from under me sick and all. They did not care!!! 3 months later house sitting empty and I’m sitting sad!!! Don’t deal with this company!!! It’s a terrible company. They took my house right from under me without trying to help me!!!!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

I am trying to do a cash out refinance with my current mortgage company, Carrington Mortgage Services. My assigned "loan officer," Esayah **, was on top of things at first, but when he could not find an appraiser, it started get hard to get in touch with him. After 3 months of waiting, with very few updates that were received only after I pushed for information, Esayah asked me to try to find an appraiser myself. Well I did, then I was ghosted by the Esayah for about a week. When he finally reappeared, he said he had an emergency and had no time to setup remotely. The appraisal was finally completed and submitted on a Friday. Esayah emailed that the appraisal was received and was what they expected. It's been several days since then, and I can't get a hold of him again. I have called to complain and got nowhere, all I could do was leave a message and got no call back. I'm very disappointed and dissatisfied with this loan officer and company!!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

Our mortgage was just sold to Carrington and I had no idea how good we had it! Look forward to paying a $5 fee every month just to pay your bill and don’t expect any information on early pay off unless you own a fax machine. Completely unbelievable how antiquated this company is - you’ll have to call in for everything…

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

They were very patient and every time we called about any questions was always there to help and answer. Answered my emails fast. Very professional. Overall I had a very good experience with them and Highly recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

I sent my mortgage check via mail, as I have for almost 10 years. I sent it two weeks and they "haven't gotten it". I said, "So you wait for the grace period to cash it to charge me the late fee." So, not only do I have to pay online to make a payment but I also have to do a stop pay because Carrington will also cash the check even if I pay online. I'm getting screwed because these animals won't cash my check. Who does that?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

Maricela is a true gem. She was very helpful and considerate to our situation. I believe in Carrington Mortgage as a homeowner's partner and not just a mortgage company. If Maricela ** is representative of all Carrington Mortgage employees, then all under the Carrington Mortgage umbrella are safe to know that they have a partner in their corner that understands the plight that honest homeowners are going through during these unprecedented times. A partner that will go out of their way to help homeowners to work through this difficult time and get back on their feet.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Belinda made me feel like she actually cared about my situation, and I felt that she really wanted to help find the best solution for my family's needs. Very informative and full of helpful suggestions. She answered all my questions I had at that time. I wish there were more people like her to talk to, especially when dealing with something as big as a Morgage. I would say, even though my situation is stressful, Belinda made it seem possible to get my behind Mortgage problem fixed. I definitely think if there is a person who deserves special recognition, it should be Belinda!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

We recently refinanced our house and were working with Tyler **, Senior Loan Officer at Carrington Mortgage Services. At first we were impressed by their offer - until we shopped around. They tried charging us an extra $7,500 in fees compared to other lenders. Their process was not transparent - using "non-refundable" lender credits. Loan estimates were wildly inaccurate. They also had a hard time understanding offers from other companies. Our experience with Tyler was good, he explained the limitations of Carrington's system. The problem is clearly with Carrington's processing, not Tyler.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Your Best Catch Recommendation: Richmond, TX, I was very pleased working with Chad N. a Sr. Loan Officer with Carrington, Mortgage. Chad approached me making me aware and providing detail how Carrington Mortgage could give me different options on loans to help me financially. Chad gave me confidence and trust in making this decision. Thanks Chad N.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

My mortgage was purchased by Carrington back in August of 2021, I told this company that I was a 100% disabled veteran who tax exempt, I provided all my documents and even proof from the Dallas County Tax office, they told me that their analysis department will run a check and will let me know what my new monthly mortgage rate would be in 15 days. Well today I called because I'm still being charged the full amount and was told that in will take 90 more days. This is unacceptable to customers and and to the veteran community. I want all my over payments back.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

This "financial institution" legally obtained my loan. The first year they neglected to pay my property taxes. Some time later I was hospitalized and was unable to work for 6 months. I called, and emailed, begged and pleaded but was denied mortgage assistance even though they supposedly have a "Mortgage Asistance Program". They began foreclosure and I got a pay off amount. I had to be bailed out by my parents. I obtained a cashier's check and the next day the amount I owed went up another 500. No real explanation for this. I paid the full amount including the extra 500. I continue to make my payments on time for a over a year, but unknown to me, there was another 400 in fees not included or mentioned in any way during my phone calls and payments. That 400 ballooned into $1200.

I filed a dispute and of course they found no wrong doing. That $1200 was stolen from me. I continue to make on time payments except one week I made my payment 1 day too early and they took it as an additional payment rather than the monthly payment. As soon as I noticed this I called them. They said it would be taken care of, and was being sent to a manager. 4 months later I continue to get late fee notices and am told "It is sitting on a managers desk." I fully believe their plan is to keep ignoring me and hope I forget and just pay them more money. If your bank sells your loan to Carrington, refinance immediately! THIS COMPANY NEEDS TO BE SUED OUT OF EXISTENCE.

Original review: July 22, 2021

We have (unfortunately) been customers of Carrington for 6 years, for a rental property that we have. And everytime we have to have any communication with them, it's nothing but frustration. Customer service is literally the worst I've ever had to deal with. Avoid this company at all costs. They still require SNAIL MAIL AND FAX for communication and documentation. In 2021, in COVID times, you have to request by phone and then WAIT 3 days or more for documents to be mailed to you if you don't have a freaking fax machine (like normal people, who use email and online portals). It's like stepping back in time to 1995.

This last time when I was informed that I had to wait 3 days for them to put said document in the mail, even though I'm on a serious time crunch, the rep was unapologetic and rude, made no effort to help speed things along or find another solution. Which is their way. They don't give a flying crap about their customers. We'll be leaving Carrington soon, just to rid ourselves of this company, I will gladly pay a higher interest rate somewhere else.

Original review: July 15, 2021

I did not select this mortgage company. My mortgage loan was sold from Chase Bank. I have been on a automatic payment withdrawal for the life of this loan, over 11 years. I also pay an extra payment each month. I updated my account to have more withdrawn to pay off this loan even faster. As a result of making a change the automatic payment skipped a month, unbeknownst to me. I find out through American Express credit monitoring service. That Carrington has reported a missing payment. I call Carrington and the lack of professionalism and knowledge is just flooring. They tell me I have a credit because off my extra payment, but I also have a missing payment. What logic does that make? When I increased the automatic payment there is no notification that tells you to make a payment incase the payment skips... the worse part is I asked about being notified. Why didn't anyone call me.

The rep said, "The computer called you twice but you didn't answer." I ask why there was not voicemail and the rep says, "We don't leave a voicemail .." So am I suppose to know whose number is calling me unknown??? I know that every company has its pros and cons but this company is just horrific to deal with.. As a consumer who has paid their mortgage in an accelerated fashion it's kind boggling to me. There are people who have missed payments and there was no reporting to the credit agency. I have an error 1 time in 11 years and look at the mess. I am now searching to refinance with another company as I don't want to give Carrington anything extra!!!! If you have a choice there are too many great companies to choose from. Stay away from this one!!!! However if you are okay with Mediocrity and No customer Service, Go with Carrington.

Original review: July 14, 2021

I am set for bi-monthly payments, 1st and 15th of every month. I keep getting harassing letters from them saying my full payment hasn’t been received and I’ll be charged a late fee. Rep says she can’t stop the letters even though I pay bi monthly. This stresses me out, their system should recognize the payments (I never had this issue with my previous mortgage company). I shouldn’t get a letter every month saying my payments are late and I’m getting charged late fees when that’s not true.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I have been in the process of refinancing our Mortgage with Carrington. In so doing, I have come to work with an outstanding gentleman by the name of Zane **. Zane has been wonderful. He has been extremely helpful and takes whatever time is necessary to ensure we understand the entire process and all of our options. Any company should count itself fortunate to have him and customers can look forward to the very best of service.

Original review: July 2, 2021

Dawn ** is keeping me updated on everything going on with refinancing my home. She Is being very helpful during this process seeing as how it's my first time refinancing. The holiday weekend is coming up (4th of July) and has offered her assistance if I have any questions even during the holiday weekend. Not many people would offer that help. To me that is exceptional service.

Original review: June 25, 2021

After closing a refinance at the beginning of the year Carrington Mortgage Services, LLC began charging me additional fees (late fees, and online payment fees), although my account has been set up on AUTOPAY with Carrington for years. When I contacted Carrington to address the issues they (DOUBLE BILLED MY MORTGAGE FOR THE MONTH) in retaliation. I have NEVER made a payment late because of autopay. I filed a complaint with (CFPB) Consumer Financial Protection Bureau because Carrington stopped returning my calls and refused to respond to my emails.

Original review: June 10, 2021

My mortgage was Carrington by Chase in middle of a deferment. They refused to honor agreement with chase that skipped payments were just added to end of term. Basically repayment paused and restart like those 6 months never happened. Hired an attorney, had to give authorization to speak to my legal counsel multiple times as they are inept in keeping records or simply unable to read. I ended up paying 11 months of payments at one time to avoid their asinine and utterly ridiculous loan modification. They were wanting nearly 5k of my equity (increase loans by approx 5k) and to add 30+ months to my loan term to make up for 6 deferred payments at that time.

It took 4 months to get info to attorney to be verified to make sure my current balance they claimed was correct. Now they are trying to foreclose over 2 skipped payments even though I have a USDA rural development loan and still covered by cares act. You see the name carrington or any of their dozens of other dba names run, run, run. They are unscrupulous, immoral, unethical. Their employees have little ability to comprehend. Worst company I’ve ever dealt with.

Original review: May 24, 2021

Want to say that Michelle ** should be a supervisor as she is definitely the most kind and understanding of all the associates I have dealt with from Carrington. She was very polite and very professional in my situation. Michelle is the perfect role model as a associate in customer service. Please I want to Personally thank her for being an all around great person to deal with in my difficult situation.

Original review: May 21, 2021

Nick has gone above and beyond in working our moorage, all the hard work was done by him! All the miles of paperwork and research were completed with only minimal in put from us, literally they did all the work. My wife and I thank you for an outstanding job!

Original review: May 11, 2021

Unfortunately, I recently fell for this ongoing hype about being able to refinance my mortgage for a second time with Carrington Mortgage Services, LLC. My attempt to go through this whole ordeal just turned out to be a very big disappointment which played heavily upon my emotions. In hindsight, this was, indeed, a total waste of my valuable time, effort, energy, and money. I truly did think, before engaging myself in this process, that a second refinance with Carrington could have happened because all three of my credit scores were excellent; I have never missed a payment since the beginning of my account with Carrington in 2012; all of my mortgage payments have been paid in full and on-time. Carrington just previously refinanced my mortgage in 2017 and since then, I've been steadily making home improvements.

After all requested documents were submitted and checked, I was told, on March 22, 2021, by my assigned Carrington Sr. Loan Officer (Mary from Arizona) that I could now lower my interest to 2.85% and take three and one-half years off of my current loan period. I told her I didn’t want any cash out and that I wanted to use my chosen title company from my previous 2017 Carrington refinance. Mary eventually told me that the additional closing costs would be $4,000 and that although the standard time for closing is 30-45 days, she would try to get this done much quicker if possible.

I was then told that an appraisal was necessary and that someone would call me to set this up. The appraiser (Lawrence from Chicago) did call and we set an appointment for March 25, 2021. Lawrence was 15 minutes late. He took exactly 21 minutes to do this appraisal. As he performed his quick stroll through my house and property, I did point out my most recent home improvements including: new roofing and gutters on both the house and garage; painting of doors and trim on house and garage, new basement ceiling, furnace, water heater, and a current in-progress, front and back, yard and shrubbery update project. This appraisal cost me out-of-pocket $505.00.

On March 27, 2021, I received from Carrington, in the mail, my first Payoff Statement which I felt was incorrect with its inclusion of charges for interest, late fee, PMI, etc. When I made inquiry about these charges, I was told that because there was no set time as to when my closing might be, then these charges were being included just in case they were needed. Since this became of concern to me, I went ahead and made two payments, instead of just one, on my current account to counteract the possibility of my being late or behind on any amounts that could, for some reason or another, become due before the closing. I then received several Payoff Statements all with different figures and total amounts.

On March 30, 2021, I got a congratulatory email letting me know that my home loan process was progressing to its final stages with just a few more steps before the preparation of my loan documents for signing. I was told that Mary would be contacting me as soon as she received final approval to close. In the meantime, I was to complete Carrington’s My Loan Detail Certification prior to closing. On March 31, 2021, I reported to Mary that I could not access My Loan Detail Certification. I also informed her of the increasing number of various Payoff Statements. Her email response, on April 1, 2021, was that my loan would be updated as necessary. On April 8, 2021, I received three Payoff Statements, all with different figures and totals. I emailed Mary on April 13, 2021 asking for clarity of this issue and for the date of my closing.

On April 13, 2021, Mary called. During our conversation she mentioned that she was waiting for the appraisal which I told her was already posted online. She asked had I reviewed it and I told her I had and that I thought the appraiser’s opinion wasn’t right. She told me she would call me back once she had reviewed it. On April 14, 2021, I was in a meeting and couldn’t take a call from Mary. I left voice messages/emails for her April 14-15, 2021. I received, during the late afternoon of April 15, 2021, an email from Mary stating that she would be out of the office until April 20, 2021. In regards to another pending business matter I had, I emailed Mary on April 16, 2021 to let her know that it was imperative that she let me know the status of my loan application before April 20, 2021. In response, on April 16, 2021, Mary emailed me:

Hello Debrah,

Sorry our phones are down and I’m out of office. I reviewed your loan with management and unfortunately there is nothing we can do about the low appraisal value. This is not a subjective Carrington decision. We have to use third party independent companies to determine value. I wish this worked out for you. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Mary

My inquiry that followed: "So, does this mean that Carrington is not going to do the refinance?" Mary’s last email to me on April 16, 2021: "Debrah we can’t do a refinance with the value coming in higher than what you owe. I’m sorry. But the loan is denied." **** As I said earlier, this whole matter of my trying to again refinance my Carrington mortgage really turned out to be a real disappointment which played heavily upon my emotions. Overall speaking, this whole ordeal truly ended up being an absolute total waste of a lot of my valuable time, effort, energy, and money.

Carrington Mortgage Services Company Information