How much does a mattress cost?
Mattress prices depend on quality, materials and size
Most people spend around $1,000 on a new mattress. Depending on the type, mattress prices start somewhere between $50 and $500, with air mattresses at the low end and entry-level innerspring and foam mattresses at the high end. You can expect to pay $1,800 to $3,000 or more on luxury models. Many of the top mattress brands offer financing programs to qualifying customers.
Average mattress prices by type
Price plays a significant role in the final decision for most mattress shoppers, and there are many types of mattresses available at different price points. If you’re on a budget, check out our resource on our favorite affordable mattresses. Below, we break down each mattress type and what price range you can expect to pay, according to the Sleep Foundation.
- Average innerspring mattress price: $1,050 (queen)
- Innerspring mattress prices typically range from $500 to $1,200 or more. This is a traditional type of mattress and one of the most affordable. The price varies based on how many springs you have — the more you have, the more comfortable most people think it is. These mattresses often break down faster than other models, so the price point may be lower.
- Average foam mattress price: $1,050 (queen)
- All-foam mattress prices can range from $500 to $1,200 or more. Foam mattresses are usually considered the best option for those who are on a budget. The price of a foam mattress depends mostly on its density and how much foam is used. You can easily customize a foam mattress with toppers and other features to make it better fit your needs, but it will come at a higher cost.
- Average latex mattress price: $2,000 (queen)
- Latex mattress prices can range from $1,000 to $2,500 or more. These typically offer more cooling aspects than some other materials, which may provide more comfortable sleep. Latex mattresses can conform to your body and offer some pressure point relief, making them comfortable for those who sleep on their sides. They're also made from more natural products. The price here depends on how the latex is made and how much is used.
- Average hybrid mattress price: $2,050 (queen)
- Quality hybrid mattress prices can range from $1,000 to $3,000 or more. Many people think that hybrid mattresses combine the best of both worlds. With hybrids, you typically have a foam topper placed above an innerspring layer — the number of coils and type of foam affect the price. These mattresses offer the comfort of memory foam with the support of an innerspring layer. Hybrid mattresses are an increasingly popular choice because they can be easily tailored to people’s personal preferences and needs.
Additional costs for a new mattress
There are a few other costs to consider when purchasing a mattress, including shipping, the foundation and base you choose and whether you need to pay for mattress removal. These can vary by company and situation, so it’s important to budget for them in case they’re required.
- Shipping: Some companies offer free shipping, but others don’t. Just in case, you should plan to pay around $100 for mattress shipping.
- Delivery: Some mattress retailers offer standard delivery for free. Others offer white-glove delivery, an all-in-one service that includes delivery, mattress and foundation setup and removing your old mattress. This costs anywhere from $100 to $300, depending on the company and the mattress you purchase.
- Removal of old bed: You may want to pay your delivery person to remove your old bed when they bring you your new one. This saves you the headache of trying to find a location that lets you dispose of a mattress. Keep in mind that not all city trash companies will pick up a mattress.
- Foundations, frames and accessories: The cost for foundations, frames and accessories vary based on where you buy them, the mattress size and the style you prefer. On average, bed frames cost around $215. A box spring can cost between $100 to $250, and a frame can range anywhere from $75 to $2,000. Bed frames and box springs aren’t always necessary, but many people prefer having them.
- Returns and exchanges: Finding the perfect mattress isn’t easy. Many companies offer free exchanges within a specific window of time but may charge a shipping or removal fee. Still, this is more affordable than buying a new mattress in a year when you realize the one you purchased isn't the right fit.
Mattress brand price comparison
Most people can find a high-quality queen-size mattress for around $1,000. While this may seem expensive, a new mattress is an investment that can make a big difference in your overall well-being. It’s important to remember that more expensive mattresses typically last longer and come with better warranties. Below, we compare price ranges for our five top-rated mattress brands.
|Brand||Starting cost*||Category||Warranty||Customer satisfaction|
|Saatva||$1,800||Hybrid||15 years||Read reviews|
|Cocoon by Sealy||$930||Foam||10 years||Read reviews|
|Purple||$1,149||Foam||10 years||Read reviews|
|Luma Sleep||$899||Hybrid||10 years||Read reviews|
*For a queen-size mattress at the time of publishing
Mattress cost FAQ
- When do mattresses go on sale?
Many retailers host large mattress sales events on Memorial Day and Labor Day. Generally, brands and retailers offer sales whenever they need to clear out back inventory. Companies tend to put out new models during the summer, so you can usually find good deals on clearance items around that time.
- What affects mattress prices?
When comparing the same size mattress with different companies, factors that can make it more expensive include size and materials.
- Mattress size: Mattress stores typically sell twin-size mattresses the cheapest, and each size up adds another $100 to $200. For example, if a company offers a twin mattress for $500, the full will likely be around $600, the queen will be $800 or $900 and the king around $1,000.
- Mattress materials: Latex and hybrid mattresses are typically more expensive than foam and innerspring mattresses. While thicker mattresses were traditionally more expensive than thinner ones, advancements in the market have made this a pretty weak comparison point.
- How much does a twin mattress cost?
It’s common to find twin mattresses prices between $100 and $500 — the average cost is around $300. The price depends mainly on the material and brand.
- How much does a full-size mattress cost?
A full-size mattress typically costs between $200 and $600.
- How much does a queen mattress cost?
Depending on the materials, queen mattresses cost anywhere from $300 to $2,000.
- How much does a king size mattress cost?
It’s hard to find a quality king-size mattress for less than $1,000. More luxury models are priced at up to $5,000 or more. However, there are some king-size options, including air mattresses, that cost less than $500. In general, brand-name king-size mattresses cost about twice as much as twin options.
- What is the cheapest mattress?
Air mattresses are typically considered the cheapest options. Air mattresses can cost as little as $50. While it may not be as comfortable as a luxury foam mattress, it can be a usable stopgap until you can buy the mattress of your dreams.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.