Find a Mattress Brands partner

2. Homeowners
  3. Mattress Brands

3.8/5 (36 ratings)
Find a Mattress Brands partner

10 suggested offers from our partners.

Our favorite mattress companies of 2021

Shop Now

About Purple Mattress

Purple designs its mattresses for pressure relief with layers of support form, comfort foam and hyper-elastic polymer to accommodate all sleeping positions. Each mattress comes with a 100-night trial, and shipping and returns are free. The Purple Mattress starts at $649, the Purple Hybrid starts at $1,299 and the Purple Hybrid Premier starts at $1,899.

Pros

• Designed for pressure relief
  • 100-night in-home trial
  • Alternative to memory foam
  • Supporting products available

Cons

• Original mattress has less edge support
  • Mattresses are heavy

Bottom Line

Purple offers an alternative to memory foam mattresses with its smart grid technology. While the original model doesn't allow you to choose a firmness level, they're designed to be medium-firm, which should suit most sleepers.

Top Purple Mattress Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I sleep all night without tossing and turning. No more aches and pains. My back quit hurting. I'm feeling great. I sleep so much better. I have enough energy that help me get thro...

Verified

Had issues with shoulder pain. Purple reduced pressure points. It sleeps cooler and made me sleep more restfully. Price was more than I wanted to spend, but love it so far. We wil...

10 suggested offers from our partners.

Our favorite mattress companies of 2021

Shop Now

What is Purple mattress?

Purple mattresses are marketed as an alternative to popular memory foam mattresses that are designed specifically to relieve pressure. Purple operates entirely online and offers free shipping and returns, plus a 100-night trial and the Purple mattress warranty is 10 years. In addition to two mattress models, Purple sells pillows, bedding, mattress protectors, mattress platforms, power bases and pet beds.

100-night risk-free trial

Free shipping & returns

10-year warranty

Purple mattress materials and construction

Original Purple mattresses are made with layers of support foam, comfort foam and Purple’s unique Smart Comfort Grid technology made of hyper-elastic polymer addressing pressure points and providing extra support to areas like your shoulders and hips.

The New Purple mattress combines its Smart Comfort Grid technology with support coils, making it more of a hybrid mattress offering.

purple mattress materials

Purple mattress comfort

Both models from Purple offer pressure relief and motion isolation while also designed to sleep cool. Some individuals may find more support on a spring mattress, which the New Purple mattress provides as the brand’s hybrid model. All Purple mattresses are non-toxic and hypoallergenic. Unlike traditional memory foam mattresses, Purple mattresses’ top grid layer provides sleepers with firmer support, so they don’t feel as if they’re “sinking in.”

• Firmness: The Original Purple mattress is a medium-firm mattress, generally ranking around 6/10 on the firmness scale. The New Purple mattress comes in three firmness levels: soft, medium and firm.
  • Sleeping position: Purple mattresses are designed for all sleeping positions, including side, stomach, and back.
  • Motion transfer: Purple’s Smart Comfort Grid is motion-isolating.
  • Edge support: The New Purple mattress has improved edge support.
  • Sleeping hot: Unlike traditional memory foam mattresses, the Smart Comfort Grid allows for consistent airflow and helps draw away body heat while you sleep.
purple mattress comfort

Purple mattress prices

Purple sells two mattress models: the Original Purple mattress and the New Purple mattress. Price ranges from $649-$1899, but the average Purple mattress cost is $999 for a queen. Financing is available.

Mattress SizeOriginal PurpleNew Purple
Twin$649$1299
Full$899$1499
Queen$999$1599
King$1299$1899
California King$1299$1899

Are Purple mattresses good?

Purple mattresses may be a great choice for anyone looking for an alternative to memory foam or traditional spring mattresses. The advanced Smart Grid Technology provides a lot of promise in the areas of pressure relief, body contouring, support and cooling. While prices are a bit higher than traditional middle-of-the-line innerspring mattresses, they’re about on par with foam mattresses, hybrid mattresses and other bed-in-a-box brands. With a 100-night risk-free trial, we think Purple mattresses are certainly worth trying.

Purple Mattress Reviews

Original review: June 26, 2021

While we didn't keep the Purple Mattress they were awesome about the return. Just fill out the form and get your confirmation number and then arrange the pickup. We will try a different model in the future.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

It's a great mattress. Never dips or holds heat. An awesome full night of sleep every night. Have been through so many mattresses in the past 8 years. Finally got the right one! Son slept on it when he came for a visit. He's a big fellow and said he sleepy great.

Get buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

After sleeping at my sister's one night I realized the next morning I had slept more soundly than I had in many months. The next morning, I exclaimed that I had much less arthritic pain than usual, and learned I'd slept on a Purple mattress. I took the Purple quiz and purchased just the right mattress for my home and have reaped the benefits of better, longer sleep and far less leg pain.

Original review: July 29, 2020

I have suffered from low back pain for about 15 years, I've been to chiropractors, physical therapy, and pain doctors. We just got our Purple 4 Mattress 6 nights ago, and I absolutely love it. I sleep all night, and when I get out of bed in the morning I can stand straight up with very little pain... I do still have some but I think with a few more weeks using the purple mattress it will be gone. Also, my hands used to fall asleep at night, and haven't once since I've been in the Purple Mattress. In my opinion, it was worth the money! I wish we would've bought it a long time ago.

Original review: June 26, 2021

I purchased a Purple mattress a little over three years ago, and I had a Stearns and Foster pillow top mattress before that for about ten years that was way better. The Purple (my favorite color) had been a disappointment. I truly believe your mattress is all hipe and marketing sales technique. I'm obviously over the return date of my mattress, but I just wanted to give you my honest feedback since I saw your fourth of July ad online. I remember when the Purple started out as a mattress topper (and should remain), and your Hybrid Premier is basically just that, a regular coil spring mattress with the Purple topper. Since I'm so disappointed in my purchase I think I will do that buy a good mattress and put the Purple gel grid on top and see how that feels. If that doesn't work for me I'll use the gel grid for something else. I have a massage chair that probably could benefit from it.

Original review: May 13, 2021

I bought this thinking we would sleep better plus wanted an adjustable bed frame. I wake every morning so does my husband barely able to walk. Arm pain. Back pain and hip. Im 41. He is 35. We are shuffling around like we're 90 now.

Original review: April 2, 2021

I bought after seeing the advertisement on Youtube. I though it was going to be the best mattress ever which it was for the first year and a half, but then after my back started hurting continuously. My mattress dips down in the center and bends my back into a banana shape. I wake up many times at night to move around due to my back hurting. I'm going to have to start sleeping in the floor till I find another mattress from a different company. Really wished it continued to work, but it's causing me a really bad backache.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

We've had this mattress for 6 weeks and the off-gassing odor is nearly as intense as when it first arrived. It makes our throats scratchy, our bedroom stink, and we have to change sheets every other night. It's truly awful! We've taken to sleeping in the guest room until we can get it replaced. The grid, while comfortable from a supportive standpoint, is at the same time too noticeable. You actually can feel the squares under your body through your sheets; it's odd. The motion separation is excellent, and it is much cooler than sleeping on a Tempur-Pedic, for which I'm giving the 2nd star.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

I tried both the Purple 2 then the Purple 3. Both gave me deep lower back aches and when I tried to return the second mattress they would not accept because it was less than two weeks over the timeframe but did not offer any solution either! Terrible product. Does not distribute pressure better than competition as claimed. Total gimmick, not developed by NASA scientists as claimed according to a sleep expert I consulted. Was actually a different company before it was Purple. Has a firmer waffle material and Purple does not last as long either, guess you get what you pay for, next trying Tempur-Pedic. My experience is already better with their product!!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

I ordered the Purple Hybrid Premier King for $2799. The website lead me to believe with the purchase of the mattress the company was offering a free gift deal with a value of $193. (Free set of king sized sheets and a free king plush pillow.) So I order and addition King Plush pillow for $64 as well to make it a set. I also purchased the mattress protector for $109. My total was $2972 without tax. I was very excited because I have wanted a Purple Mattress for years. Like many online shoppers I searched for any promo codes that may be available to apply to my purchase and found one that gave me an additional $150.00 off the $2972 plus tax total. Which matters even more because my purchase would be "cash" outright not financing or charging on a credit card.

When my PayPal receipt came to my email I realized that I was charged a total of $3241.14. A difference of $287.14. I called customer services to get it worked out. I was told it was because I "stacked coupons". They used the coupon and did not honor the deal from the website which I argued was NOT a coupon but a price from the internet purchase. The lady told me in a nice way that is your policy. No stacking coupons and that the "free gift" was a coupon. I then requested my purchase be canceled!!!! I would have never thought applying the "Promo Code" would increase my purchase total. I find it very disheartening that a company would advertise one thing then not honor it! PURPLE is not the company to purchase a mattress from!

Purple Mattress Company Information