4.00/5

Need a good mattress?

Purple Mattress

BOTTOM LINE

Purple offers an alternative to memory foam mattresses with its smart grid technology. While the original model doesn't allow you to choose a firmness level, they're designed to be medium-firm, which should suit most sleepers.

PROS

• Designed for pressure relief
    • 100-night in-home trial
    • Alternative to memory foam
    • Supporting products available

CONS

• Original mattress has less edge support
    • Mattresses are heavy

Top Purple Mattress Reviews

I sleep all night without tossing and turning. No more aches and pains. My back quit hurting. I'm feeling great. I sleep so much better. I have enough energy that help me get through my day without taking naps.

Had issues with shoulder pain. Purple reduced pressure points. It sleeps cooler and made me sleep more restfully. Price was more than I wanted to spend, but love it so far. We will see how it holds up over time.

Need a good mattress?

What is Purple mattress?

Purple mattresses are marketed as an alternative to popular memory foam mattresses that are designed specifically to relieve pressure. Purple operates entirely online and offers free shipping and returns, plus a 100-night trial and the Purple mattress warranty is 10 years. In addition to two mattress models, Purple sells pillows, bedding, mattress protectors, mattress platforms, power bases and pet beds.

100-night risk-free trial

Free shipping & returns

10-year warranty

Purple mattress materials and construction

Original Purple mattresses are made with layers of support foam, comfort foam and Purple’s unique Smart Comfort Grid technology made of hyper-elastic polymer addressing pressure points and providing extra support to areas like your shoulders and hips.

The New Purple mattress combines its Smart Comfort Grid technology with support coils, making it more of a hybrid mattress offering.

purple mattress materials

Purple mattress comfort

Both models from Purple offer pressure relief and motion isolation while also designed to sleep cool. Some individuals may find more support on a spring mattress, which the New Purple mattress provides as the brand’s hybrid model. All Purple mattresses are non-toxic and hypoallergenic. Unlike traditional memory foam mattresses, Purple mattresses’ top grid layer provides sleepers with firmer support, so they don’t feel as if they’re “sinking in.”

• Firmness: The Original Purple mattress is a medium-firm mattress, generally ranking around 6/10 on the firmness scale. The New Purple mattress comes in three firmness levels: soft, medium and firm.
      • Sleeping position: Purple mattresses are designed for all sleeping positions, including side, stomach, and back.
      • Motion transfer: Purple’s Smart Comfort Grid is motion-isolating.
      • Edge support: The New Purple mattress has improved edge support.
      • Sleeping hot: Unlike traditional memory foam mattresses, the Smart Comfort Grid allows for consistent airflow and helps draw away body heat while you sleep.
      purple mattress comfort

Purple mattress prices

Purple sells two mattress models: the Original Purple mattress and the New Purple mattress. Price ranges from $649-$1899, but the average Purple mattress cost is $999 for a queen. Financing is available.

Mattress SizeOriginal PurpleNew Purple
      Twin$649$1299
      Full$899$1499
      Queen$999$1599
      King$1299$1899
      California King$1299$1899

Are Purple mattresses good?

Purple mattresses may be a great choice for anyone looking for an alternative to memory foam or traditional spring mattresses. The advanced Smart Grid Technology provides a lot of promise in the areas of pressure relief, body contouring, support and cooling. While prices are a bit higher than traditional middle-of-the-line innerspring mattresses, they’re about on par with foam mattresses, hybrid mattresses and other bed-in-a-box brands. With a 100-night risk-free trial, we think Purple mattresses are certainly worth trying.

Purple Mattress Reviews

Original review: March 7, 2019

I like how sturdy it is and it how's my back from not hurting when I get up in the morning and it keeps me cool at night when I am trying to sleep and it has a soft feel to it makes it comfortable to sleep with my wife next to me. It is a very well made mattress that lets us both get a good nights sleep and we both feel nice and refresh in the morning when we get up. I think they make one of the best mattresses out there for the money. It is a great value for what we paid for it. It had every thing that I wanting in a mattress and got it at a great price and it let me try for a 100 days to see how much we liked it and could send back if we were not happy with how it performed for us while sleep and could send back free of charge. You got to love the part of trying it out.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Great reviews on the Purple Mattress for issues such as long term back pain issues, pregnancy back and leg pains, and it keeps you cool at night and is very soft. But I do not particularly like the depth of the Purple Mattress, I feel like with a couple more inches added it could be thicker and more comfortable overall and I do not like the soft ridges. Still, the Purple Mattress has a flexible, pliable and plush, cool feel to it that helps significantly with my husband's chronic back pains and relieves my pregnancy pains.

Get expert buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Purple Mattress brand is a better brand than other mattress brands because of the quality and the customer service they provide. I am a big fan of the brand. They are on another level. I love how comfortable the Purple Mattress is. It really is a joy to sleep on. It is a great product and I have enjoyed using it. I have had no problems and would recommend it to my friends. I would definitely buy it again in the future.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

My husband has arthritis and we thought this mattress would help him. He was waking up in pain and we thought our old mattress was to blame. He looked online for a mattress that would help him and we found this company. It is incredibly comfortable. It forms to your body in a way that a spring mattress cannot. I wake up feeling like I had a good night's sleep. I really miss my Purple Mattress when I'm away from home. But it took my body a month or so to adjust to this mattress. I wish that happened quicker because I thought about returning it at first because I was uncomfortable.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I really liked the feel of it but the other mattress there was also really comfy but this one when you sit in it it feels like you're dreaming in a cloud of heaven. It feels as if you sit you will fall through but yet sturdy. It's so soft. But the price cost way too much. I was thinking about buying another but I liked it and thought to myself I might as well buy it because it was so comfy, I think they used a special material. I would recommend that everyone buy this bed. I really love it and enjoy it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purple Mattress?

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

Using the Purple website, I found an authorized Purple Mattress retailer and bought a Purple Mattress in August. I wanted to love it. After using the mattress for 2 months, I still don’t love it. I am a stomach sleeper and I sleep better in hotels than I do on the Purple. So I tried to return the mattress inside the 100 day trial period for a full refund. Instead of getting a full refund, I’m told I can get a 62% refund if I bring the 200-pound mattress to the retailer myself. So much for the “100-night risk free trial” and so much for the “we’ll pick it up for free”.

I’ve called the retailer and Purple directly but as saying ‘too bad for you’ Purple doesn’t care that their authorized retailers don’t honor their claimed refund policy and the retailer (whose refund policy is claimed 4 months) doesn’t care that they don’t follow the refund policy and don’t care that they lie about what the refund policy actually is. It is just too bad for you the consumer. I would rather use a company with integrity.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

I own a Purple Powerbase (an adjustable bed manufactured/warrantied by Reverie for Purple). It worked for 3 months before the Control Panel Box broke. I have spent the last two (2) months trying to get Reverie to fix it. Working with Reverie is like trying to chase down someone to get them to do something that they don’t want to do. Most often, they say they will do something and then just don’t follow through with doing it at all – and so I am stuck having to waste my time, over and over again, to try to get resolve for what they haven’t followed through with e.g. having a technician contact me sending a part, etc..

5/19/19: $1600 Purple Powerbase Delivered. Powerbase worked for just over 3 months. 8/31/19: Purple Powerbase stopped working. I tried to troubleshoot the issue before calling Reverie. However, the accompanying manual contained images for an outdated control box so the troubleshooting directions, in the manual, were all wrong! 9/11/19: I called Purple, who said that their Purple Powerbase was made, and warrantied, by Reverie. So Purple immediately washed their hands of the issue and directed me to Reverie to obtain the warranty coverage.

9/11/19: Reverie (Nicole **) directed me to the control box panel on which the lack of lighting, indicated no power to the Control Panel Box. When directed to find the loose power adapter. I was unable to locate that part and she was not able to direct me to that part. When I indicated that the part may be attached to an underside bar, and not loose as she had indicated, but that I was unable to tell if it was being held by a black zip ties or black wiring. Nicole insinuated an installation error as it was not supposed to be attached to the underside bar.

And because I was unwilling to blindly cut the part away from the underside bar, since I could not see if it was attached by zip ties, or wires surrounding it, Nicole said she could do nothing more for me and refused to send a technician to troubleshoot/fix the issue despite the fact that neither she, nor the manual, could accurately direct me to the location of the referenced parts and their positions on the underside of the base which contained many, many wires.

9/11/19: I called Purple, again, to tell them that Reverie was refusing to send anyone out to fix the bed. Purple said they felt really bad for me but that there was nothing they could do for me since the Purple Powerbase was built for Purple, by Reverie, and was under warranty by Reverie. 9/11/19: I called the retailer, Mattress Firm, who immediately began advocating on my behalf, via phone calls and emails, to both Purple and Reverie.

10/18/19: I remain in month two (2) of trying to get Reverie to follow through with their warranty coverage on the Purple Powerbase. Imagine! A $1600 Purple Powerbase, built/warrantied by Reverie for Purple, that only worked for 3 months. Purple immediately washed their hands of the broken Purple Powerbase. And Reverie simply doesn’t care. I have been actively chasing Reverie to follow through with what they say they will do, to no avail. So, now, in the second month of being broken, I don't even have the required part to fix the Purple Powerbase. So save your money and run, run far away from the Purple Powerbase and/or anything built and/or warrantied by Reverie.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I have suffered from back and hip issues for years and wake multiple times at night with pain. To try and help, I searched out the newer mattresses. I have had a Tempur-pedic for a long time and over the years, it has 'hardened to the point that it causes more harm than good so I sought a replacement. I looked online and saw several but the Purple caught my eye with its 'eggs not broken' demo. I thought if it can do that, it might help my pain. I tried one out at Macy's and was impressed. It felt GREAT!

After discussing the mattress with the Macy's salesman and looking at it online, I determined that ordering online offered more benefits than purchasing at Macy's (free sheets for one thins and deliver and setup the other). I went to the Purple site and set up my order which included free sheets and delivery, set up and taking away my old mattress (or so I thought). I wanted to MAKE SURE so I did a chat online with a Purple rep BEFORE I placed the order to insure that I had everything right...I asked, "Will the mattress be delivered and set up for me?" (As mentioned, I am nearly 70 so not able to lug a heavy mattress up a flight of stairs and set it up). I was told YES. I asked, "Will they take away my old mattress?" I was told YES.

Today I looked on my porch and a big heavy mattress was sitting there, no setup, no taking away the old mattress AND I am now told my sheets that were ordered at the same time will not be here for another 2 days. I NEED the sheets in order to take advantage of the mattress fully (which is why I ordered them at the same time!). With the help of neighbors, I got the mattress set up but now I have serious doubts about anything they say. I called Purple TWICE and was told, oh, it only includes ground shipping. So, you can decide for yourself but after being told one thing and then another when it’s delivered, I think that is called 'bait and switch' isn't it?

My advice, if a company tells you one thing and does another, DON'T BUY FROM THEM. I will keep the mattress for now since I think it may help my pain but I would not order from them again, IMO, they are dishonest. I doubt they would honor the warranty they advertise anyway based on the experience I have already had with them.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Original review: April 3, 2019

Purple Mattress Company Information