3.7/5 (135 ratings)
Find a Mattress Brands partner

10 suggested offers from our partners.

Our favorite mattress companies of 2021

Shop Now

About Purple Mattress

Purple designs its mattresses for pressure relief with layers of support form, comfort foam and hyper-elastic polymer to accommodate all sleeping positions. Each mattress comes with a 100-night trial, and shipping and returns are free. The Purple Mattress starts at $649, the Purple Hybrid starts at $1,299 and the Purple Hybrid Premier starts at $1,899.

Pros

• Designed for pressure relief
  • 100-night in-home trial
  • Alternative to memory foam
  • Supporting products available

Cons

• Original mattress has less edge support
  • Mattresses are heavy

Bottom Line

Purple offers an alternative to memory foam mattresses with its smart grid technology. While the original model doesn't allow you to choose a firmness level, they're designed to be medium-firm, which should suit most sleepers.

Top Purple Mattress Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I sleep all night without tossing and turning. No more aches and pains. My back quit hurting. I'm feeling great. I sleep so much better. I have enough energy that help me get thro...

Verified

Had issues with shoulder pain. Purple reduced pressure points. It sleeps cooler and made me sleep more restfully. Price was more than I wanted to spend, but love it so far. We wil...

10 suggested offers from our partners.

Our favorite mattress companies of 2021

Shop Now

What is Purple mattress?

Purple mattresses are marketed as an alternative to popular memory foam mattresses that are designed specifically to relieve pressure. Purple operates entirely online and offers free shipping and returns, plus a 100-night trial and the Purple mattress warranty is 10 years. In addition to two mattress models, Purple sells pillows, bedding, mattress protectors, mattress platforms, power bases and pet beds.

100-night risk-free trial

Free shipping & returns

10-year warranty

Purple mattress materials and construction

Original Purple mattresses are made with layers of support foam, comfort foam and Purple’s unique Smart Comfort Grid technology made of hyper-elastic polymer addressing pressure points and providing extra support to areas like your shoulders and hips.

The New Purple mattress combines its Smart Comfort Grid technology with support coils, making it more of a hybrid mattress offering.

purple mattress materials

Purple mattress comfort

Both models from Purple offer pressure relief and motion isolation while also designed to sleep cool. Some individuals may find more support on a spring mattress, which the New Purple mattress provides as the brand’s hybrid model. All Purple mattresses are non-toxic and hypoallergenic. Unlike traditional memory foam mattresses, Purple mattresses’ top grid layer provides sleepers with firmer support, so they don’t feel as if they’re “sinking in.”

• Firmness: The Original Purple mattress is a medium-firm mattress, generally ranking around 6/10 on the firmness scale. The New Purple mattress comes in three firmness levels: soft, medium and firm.
  • Sleeping position: Purple mattresses are designed for all sleeping positions, including side, stomach, and back.
  • Motion transfer: Purple’s Smart Comfort Grid is motion-isolating.
  • Edge support: The New Purple mattress has improved edge support.
  • Sleeping hot: Unlike traditional memory foam mattresses, the Smart Comfort Grid allows for consistent airflow and helps draw away body heat while you sleep.
purple mattress comfort

Purple mattress prices

Purple sells two mattress models: the Original Purple mattress and the New Purple mattress. Price ranges from $649-$1899, but the average Purple mattress cost is $999 for a queen. Financing is available.

Mattress SizeOriginal PurpleNew Purple
Twin$649$1299
Full$899$1499
Queen$999$1599
King$1299$1899
California King$1299$1899

Are Purple mattresses good?

Purple mattresses may be a great choice for anyone looking for an alternative to memory foam or traditional spring mattresses. The advanced Smart Grid Technology provides a lot of promise in the areas of pressure relief, body contouring, support and cooling. While prices are a bit higher than traditional middle-of-the-line innerspring mattresses, they’re about on par with foam mattresses, hybrid mattresses and other bed-in-a-box brands. With a 100-night risk-free trial, we think Purple mattresses are certainly worth trying.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purple Mattress?

Original review: May 11, 2022

This is ridiculous service for the amount of money spent. I ordered 3 things, a mattress, seat cushion, and sheets. Seat cushion arrived randomly without any tracking info, dirty, opened, and stepped on, I have yet to hear back from the warranty claim dept from 6 days ago. Sheets were ordered almost 2 full weeks ago, haven't shipped. The mattress HA who knows if it will ever arrive.

The "pilot freight company" never contacted me about WHEN I would be available for delivery, I just got a text message with the details saying "Your delivery will arrive on May 10 between 10am and 6 pm" - It is now May 11th and I have not heard from anyone from the freight company or from Purple. "You will receive a response within 24-48 hours". Ridiculous and unacceptable when you spend $4,000 with a company. They gave me a free pillow for "my inconvenience" - reviews are everywhere online with the same experience. Do yourself a favor and find another mattress company, DO NOT USE PURPLE.

Original review: April 4, 2022

I purchased a king size purple bed. On the website I was told that the company was going to install it. When I came home, I found the mattress outside (over 400 lbs) on the sidewalk. I am pregnant and I am petite. How was I supposed to bring that thing inside. Thank goodness it didn’t rain. The next day, I didn’t want to experience the same problem so I called the company. They couldn’t give me a time frame on when the base was going to be delivered. Later on, it just appeared on my front porch. After getting help to take the huge box inside, I found out that I was sent a wrong piece. They sent a wrong size bar. When I get a new bar in the mail, I will have to pick up the heavy bed and remove the purple plastic plank and try to place that bar inside.

This is the worst product and delivery. It makes it more frustrating when you have to call the company and explain your issue and then have to answer an automated email and repeat yourself more than once about what you are complaining about. I should have just purchased another Tempur-Pedic or a Sleep Number where people actually come out and help you.

Get buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 9, 2022

My teenager bought a purple mattress and frame. I know she really likes the way the mattress feels. The frame was "neat", extends, amazingly light. But in just over a year the middle metal bar across frame snapped off. Since bought directly from Purple was easy online to give email, address etc. and get warranty process started. But disappointed with strength of frame at this point in time. Very happy with customer service etc.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

So I bought the basic $1000 mattress. At first I thought the mattress and pillow were awesome. But it could have just been my excitement. It's been about a year now and it's impossible to sleep on my stomach or side. After laying on my side or back for about 3 minutes my spine starts to hurt. This is possibly the worst bed I've ever had. So far sleeping on my back I'm fine. But I'm personally not a back sleeper, so I have to force myself. DO NOT BUY THIS BED.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

I have NOT been happy with this purchase. Right after the sleep warranty was over it started to get hard and flat. Hurt my neck so bad I couldn't move it. I reached out to Purple. It has been over 2 months and I'm still getting the run around. I think they know these pillows are just a big scam. Over 150.00 for crap!! Crap!!! 10.00 Walmart pillow is better. DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY. THEY DO NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS. HORRIBLE QUALITY. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

On 12/19/2021 I left Mattress Firm (Cottman Ave, Philadelphia) feeling like I had been robbed. On 11/22/2020 I spent $5053.96 plus $404.32 in taxes on 2 Purple 3 Premiere Mattresses size TWIN XL, 2 adjustable bases, two sets of sheets, 2 pillows and 2 mattress protectors to complete my split king. I was very excited about my purchase because I believed the Purple Mattress to be of excellent quality. After approximately 7 months I noticed that the side of one of the mattresses was sagging. On October 5th, 2021, I decided that the sagging was too much to ignore and that I needed to file a warranty claim. I went online and found the process a bit confusing so I decided to pay the $79.99 advertised to have someone come out to file the claim for me. The money quickly left my account & I waited to be contacted with an appointment.

Days went by & I didn’t hear from anyone about my inspection. On October 25th, I called the store and was advised that they have nothing to do with the inspection and could not help me. They did not provide me any contact information of where I needed to call. I searched the internet & found the phone number. I called and was advised that they don’t send people out to my area (zip code 19152) and that I would have to file the claim myself. No explanation was given as to why they never contacted me. I was given a refund of my $79.99 which reflected in my account on 11/1/2021. I filed the claim myself, and on December 13th, 2021, I received an email that my warranty claim had been approved for the full purchase price of my mattress.

I went into the store this morning excited about finally getting a replacement mattress. The gentlemen working asked if I had decided on what mattress I wanted. I advised that I needed the same mattress because it was part of a split king that I had purchased a year ago. He processed everything and advised me that I had to pay $668.52. I knew I would have to pay the delivery fee, but why $668.52 extra? The associate, Earl explained that the warranty only covers the purchase price of the original mattress which was $1799.99 but that the mattress had gone up in price and was now $2,299.00 and I was responsible for the difference. I could understand if I had selected a different mattress, but I was exchanging a defective mattress for an identical mattress.

Since I needed the mattress, I paid the money. After leaving, I decided to check the advertised prices for my mattress. On Purple.com the mattress was on sale for $2069.00. On the Mattress Firm website it was also on sale for $2069.00. At this point, I was really feeling ripped off. I got on the phone and called Earl at Mattress Firm and asked him why I was being overcharged for the mattress when it was supposed to be on sale. He advised me that they cannot use the sale price on a warranty claim. It is easy for them to tell me that I have to pay the difference in price because the price went up but they had the nerve to overcharge based on the sale price at the time of the exchange. It felt like complete thievery.

As for the idea of not being given a one to one even exchange on a warranty goes against what most people would expect from a warranty. When I purchase a new car and something goes wrong, the warranty covers the repair regardless of the price. This is what one expects from a warranty. A change in price of the product should not be pushed onto the consumer or impact my warranty. I was sold a defective mattress that I purchased in good faith because I thought Mattress Firm was a reputable company. I should have received an identical mattress as a replacement at no charge.

I will never go back to Mattress Firm, never recommend the Purple Mattress, and I want to let everyone know about my experience so they think long and hard before stepping foot in a Mattress Firm and spending thousands on merchandise that may be defective and end up costing them stress, time, and possibly hundreds of dollars. Mattress Firm blamed it all on Purple Mattress saying that have to follow the rules Purple Mattress has in place. This is their response: Response from the owner 5 hours ago - "I am sorry but we must follow the manufacturer's warranty, which comes from Purple."

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

We bought the Purple 2 mattress three years ago, at first we thought it was great, probably because it was more comfortable than our old spring mattress. However, it just gets worse with time. By the 18 month mark we really didn't like this mattress anymore and by the 2 year mark we hated it. Now we are at the 3 year point and it's nearly impossible to sleep on this mattress. We both wake up constantly during the night trying to reposition due to the shoulder, hip, and back pain we experience sleeping on the purple 2.

Everything they say in the advertisements is a lie, like opposite day. It doesn't stay cool or breathe, it's the hottest thing we've ever slept on to the point we can rarely ever sleep with a blanket anymore. It doesn't relieve pressure, neither of us had constant pain while sleeping before this. It doesn't negate movement so you aren't awakened by your partner, it's the jiggliest thing ever and transmits every small movement throughout the bed just like a water bed. We have been shopping for a replacement for this thing for over 6 months now and I'm not sure I would even give it away to someone else when we get rid of it. Less than 3 years and I think this mattress only belongs in the garbage.

Original review: July 20, 2021

My son was originally promised delivery on July 14. He was then told it would be delayed until July 15. It is now July 20 and still have not received the mattress. On the 17th, he was told it was at a warehouse 10 miles from my house. On the 18th, it was supposedly on a FedEx truck headed to my house. In speaking to customer service today, it was clear they don't really have a clue where the mattress is or if it will ever arrive.

Original review: June 26, 2021

I purchased a Purple mattress a little over three years ago, and I had a Stearns and Foster pillow top mattress before that for about ten years that was way better. The Purple (my favorite color) had been a disappointment. I truly believe your mattress is all hipe and marketing sales technique. I'm obviously over the return date of my mattress, but I just wanted to give you my honest feedback since I saw your fourth of July ad online. I remember when the Purple started out as a mattress topper (and should remain), and your Hybrid Premier is basically just that, a regular coil spring mattress with the Purple topper. Since I'm so disappointed in my purchase I think I will do that buy a good mattress and put the Purple gel grid on top and see how that feels. If that doesn't work for me I'll use the gel grid for something else. I have a massage chair that probably could benefit from it.

Original review: June 26, 2021

While we didn't keep the Purple Mattress they were awesome about the return. Just fill out the form and get your confirmation number and then arrange the pickup. We will try a different model in the future.

Purple Mattress Company Information