2. Homeowners
  3. Mattress Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.09/5

Purple designs its mattresses for pressure relief with layers of support form, comfort foam and hyper-elastic polymer to accommodate all sleeping positions. Each mattress comes with a 100-night trial, and shipping and returns are free. The Purple Mattress starts at $649, the Purple Hybrid starts at $1,299 and the Purple Hybrid Premier starts at $1,899.

BOTTOM LINE

Purple offers an alternative to memory foam mattresses with its smart grid technology. While the original model doesn't allow you to choose a firmness level, they're designed to be medium-firm, which should suit most sleepers.

PROS

• Designed for pressure relief
  • 100-night in-home trial
  • Alternative to memory foam
  • Supporting products available

CONS

• Original mattress has less edge support
  • Mattresses are heavy

Top Purple Mattress Reviews We Found

I sleep all night without tossing and turning. No more aches and pains. My back quit hurting. I'm feeling great. I sleep so much better. I have enough energy that help me get through my day without taking naps.

Had issues with shoulder pain. Purple reduced pressure points. It sleeps cooler and made me sleep more restfully. Price was more than I wanted to spend, but love it so far. We will see how it holds up over time.

What is Purple mattress?

Purple mattresses are marketed as an alternative to popular memory foam mattresses that are designed specifically to relieve pressure. Purple operates entirely online and offers free shipping and returns, plus a 100-night trial and the Purple mattress warranty is 10 years. In addition to two mattress models, Purple sells pillows, bedding, mattress protectors, mattress platforms, power bases and pet beds.

100-night risk-free trial

Free shipping & returns

10-year warranty

Purple mattress materials and construction

Original Purple mattresses are made with layers of support foam, comfort foam and Purple’s unique Smart Comfort Grid technology made of hyper-elastic polymer addressing pressure points and providing extra support to areas like your shoulders and hips.

The New Purple mattress combines its Smart Comfort Grid technology with support coils, making it more of a hybrid mattress offering.

purple mattress materials

Purple mattress comfort

Both models from Purple offer pressure relief and motion isolation while also designed to sleep cool. Some individuals may find more support on a spring mattress, which the New Purple mattress provides as the brand’s hybrid model. All Purple mattresses are non-toxic and hypoallergenic. Unlike traditional memory foam mattresses, Purple mattresses’ top grid layer provides sleepers with firmer support, so they don’t feel as if they’re “sinking in.”

• Firmness: The Original Purple mattress is a medium-firm mattress, generally ranking around 6/10 on the firmness scale. The New Purple mattress comes in three firmness levels: soft, medium and firm.
    • Sleeping position: Purple mattresses are designed for all sleeping positions, including side, stomach, and back.
    • Motion transfer: Purple’s Smart Comfort Grid is motion-isolating.
    • Edge support: The New Purple mattress has improved edge support.
    • Sleeping hot: Unlike traditional memory foam mattresses, the Smart Comfort Grid allows for consistent airflow and helps draw away body heat while you sleep.
    purple mattress comfort

Purple mattress prices

Purple sells two mattress models: the Original Purple mattress and the New Purple mattress. Price ranges from $649-$1899, but the average Purple mattress cost is $999 for a queen. Financing is available.

Mattress SizeOriginal PurpleNew Purple
    Twin$649$1299
    Full$899$1499
    Queen$999$1599
    King$1299$1899
    California King$1299$1899

Are Purple mattresses good?

Purple mattresses may be a great choice for anyone looking for an alternative to memory foam or traditional spring mattresses. The advanced Smart Grid Technology provides a lot of promise in the areas of pressure relief, body contouring, support and cooling. While prices are a bit higher than traditional middle-of-the-line innerspring mattresses, they’re about on par with foam mattresses, hybrid mattresses and other bed-in-a-box brands. With a 100-night risk-free trial, we think Purple mattresses are certainly worth trying.

Purple Mattress Reviews

Original review: June 25, 2020

Starting looking for the right mattress in Nov 2019. We tried 4 different ones. Layla, Beautyrest, Foster & Stearns and DreamCloud. Then we decided to give PURPLE a try after a friend referred it and long conversations with several different sales folks who actually answer the phone and respond to emails. We got the Hybrid 4, the one with the 4" crate due to the fact we are a little on the heavy side and did not want to sleep on the coils. It is perfect.

With memory foam you will sink in, and when you move it takes a few minutes to expand back to shape. NOT the case with PURPLE. That crate comes right back like it's trying to support your move. Also it cool! Like not hot kinda cool. It addresses all of the pressure points and my arms no longer fall asleep and my hips aren't slipping out. We are side, back and stomach sleepers. The price is steep and it's not a long trial or lifetime warranty however after one night we knew it was well worth it. I hope I can still say that in 10 years.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I sleep on my side, and on a regular mattress, I have to roll from side to side to relieve hip pain all night long. With the Purple bed, I sleep painless all night. It is the best mattress for me. I will never switch to another mattress company. I also have the Purple pillow. It's great.

Get buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 10, 2020

We've had the Purple 3 Hybrid mattress for about a month now. I have had shoulder and hip pain for many years. I was very skeptical, however after sleeping on the purple 3 hybrid I can honestly say that sleep great and when I wake up in the morning I feel very well rested.. The only thing I regret is not purchasing the purple 3 sooner!!

Original review: May 9, 2020

The purple mattress was recommended to us by a friend. My husband and I had been trying to find a good quality mattress that was comfortable for both of us. We had tried pretty much every brand of mattress at several different stores, laying on all of them and couldn't find one that we both liked. We decided to try the Purple Mattress, knowing that we had a one hundred day "trial" and if we weren't happy with it the Company would pick it up and refund our money. We have loved our mattress since the first night we received it, we feel well rested and do not wake up with back aches. We highly recommend this mattress.

Original review: April 30, 2020

This is the first new mattress my husband and I have purchased since we were married in 2001. Our first mattress was the one he already owned prior to our marriage. Over the years, we have both suffered from injuries/illnesses that effect our spines and joints. After a failed back surgery in 2010, I was unable to lay flat in a bed. I also have rheumatoid arthritis which caused me to need a total hip replacement in 2014. Due to complications, I ended up having to have my entire right leg and hip joint amputated. Between the back and the hip issues, until we purchased the new Purple Mattress in 2018, I had been only able to sleep in a recliner, thinking that wound be my only option for the rest of my life. My husband did a lot of research on mattresses and decided to buy a Purple, primarily for himself due to his shoulder and back injuries.

Once it arrived, I laid down on the bed just to try it out. To my complete surprise it was so comfortable and supportive I fell asleep! I have been able to sleep in our bed since we bought the Purple Mattress for the first time in 8 years! My husband also says it allows him to sleep well, comfortably and without added pain to his shoulders and back. We HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Purple Mattress! The prose is affordable and the comfort and support are amazing!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purple Mattress?

Original review: June 11, 2020

DO NOT BUY PURPLE MATTRESS. Although I thought it was great to sleep in we needed to return due to shoulder pain, they talk us into upgrading for the more expensive mattress and tell me the return is no problem, they handle all of it. I keep emailing and calling for instructions because the new one is on the way and the old one needs to be taken out. No one gets back to you. Now the new one is here, on the floor blocking my bathroom- they are too heavy to move on your own and the old one is here too, still on the bed.

NOW Purple tells me I have to arrange for the pick up and donation of the first mattress or they will charge me for both. If I knew this I wouldn't have upgraded- or I would have made arrangements days ago. It might be like this for weeks- and Purple is NOT helping- all of the sudden it's all my responsibility to do their job and what they advertise. DON'T BELIEVE THEIR FRIENDLY ATTITUDE. it's not what they advertise. They are liars and falsely advertise. They do Not make the return a simple process like they say even if you upgrade and buy another.

Original review: May 15, 2020

The mattress was easy to set up. Barely any movement felt by my partner. Very comfortable. We've had it for about 8 months and haven't had any problems. Even sleeping in the edge it has never collapsed. A completely better sleeping experience than our old spring mattress.

Original review: May 14, 2020

I love our Purple mattress! Definitely on the former side. Only recommend to people who like the feeling of memory foam. The only issue we saw is they offer a warranty but you somehow would have to shove it back into the air sealed bag which doesn’t really seem possible.

Original review: May 12, 2020

The mattress took a little while for my body to adjust, but once it did it’s great. I also got a mattress cover. If you can get sheets free I would highly recommend because regular sheets don’t fit properly, they don’t flex enough. Jersey sheets are the stretchiest I could find that work.

Original review: May 11, 2020

I bought the bed, frame and didn't check the white glove delivery. FedEx dropped my stuff off in the driveway. $3,000 I paid to drag the stuff in the house to have to pay somebody else to set it up. I found out I bought the bed for back sleepers not side sleepers. The bed for side sleepers is also the one for plus size people. The return process is a joke.

Purple Mattress Company Information