Sleep Number and Tempur-Pedic are two popular specialty mattresses. Sleep Number offers adjustable and smart beds with customizable firmness (air pressure) of the mattress using a remote control. The mattresses are marketed as ideal for couples as each sleeper can choose their own setting (their “sleep number”) and adjust their side of the bed to suit their needs.
Tempur-Pedic offers memory foam innerspring hybrid mattresses that automatically respond to the sleeper’s body weight and shape through contouring. Both mattress brands are known to be high quality but offer very different features.
Sleep Number vs. Tempur-Pedic Comparison
|Price (for a queen)||$999–$5,099||$2,199–$7,499|
|Models available||Classic Series, Performance Series, Innovation Series||Tempur-Cloud, Tempur-Contour, Tempur-Flex, Tempur-Adapt|
|Support||Air and foam||Springs and memory foam|
|Firmness||Customizable||Varies by model|
|Cooling||Average||Potential to sleep hot|
|Trial period||100 days||90 days|
|Warranty||25 years||10 years|
|Customer satisfaction||Read reviews||Read reviews|
|Price (for a queen)||Models available||Support||Firmness||Motion transfer||Cooling||Trial period||Warranty||Customer satisfaction|
|$999–$5,099||Classic Series, Performance Series, Innovation Series||Air and foam||Customizable||Average||Average||100 days||25 years||Read reviews|
|$2,199–$7,499||Tempur-Cloud, Tempur-Contour, Tempur-Flex, Tempur-Adapt||Springs and memory foam||Varies by model||Minimal||Potential to sleep hot||90 days||10 years||Read reviews|
Mattress construction comparison
Sleep Number layers: Sleep Number mattresses come with one or two air chambers. This “DualAir” technology allows users to adjust the firmness of their bed according to their Sleep Number. A layer of comfort foam rests on top of the air chambers, and a final pillow top layer provides added comfort.
Tempur-Pedic layers: Tempur-Pedic mattresses are made of four layers: a base layer, a support layer, a comfort layer and a cooling cover. Together, these layers support the spine by adjusting to body weight and shape. They’re constructed out of premium foam, which is designed to keep sleepers cool all night long.
Sleep Number mattress firmness: Sleep Number mattresses are available in three models: Classic Series, Performance Series and Innovation Series. The Classic Series includes dual adjustability, responsive air technology and Sleep IQ to track how well users are sleeping. The Performance Series includes all of these features plus enhanced pressure relief. The Innovation Series offers everything the previous two models offer, plus temperature balancing to absorb and release excess heat throughout the night.
Tempur-Pedic mattress firmness: Tempur-Pedic mattresses are available in four models: Cloud, Contour, Flex and Adapt. Each model comes in variations such as Supreme, Elite and Luxe. With this wide range of mattresses, sleepers can choose a mattress with truly personalized comfort.
How long does a Sleep Number mattress last?
Sleep Number beds are reported to last over 20 years and, in fact, come with a 25-year warranty.
How long does a Tempur-Pedic mattress last?
Tempur-Pedic’s lifespan is typically 10 years, which is about average for a mattress.
What sets Sleep Number beds apart?
- Complete customization: Sleep Number and Tempur-Pedic offer adjustable bed frames for customized head and feet positions to help with circulation or alleviate snoring. Sleep Number beds are equipped with a remote control that allows users to pick a number between 0 and 100. The higher the number, the firmer the mattress.
- Sleep tracking: Sleep Number beds also come with Sleep IQ, which tracks the user’s sleep each night to help find their ideal Sleep Number setting.
- Affordability: While both Sleep Number and Tempur-Pedic are on the pricier side, Sleep Number prices are much lower than Tempur-Pedic.
- Durability: Sleep Number beds come with a 25-year warranty.
What sets Tempur-Pedic beds apart?
- Contouring materials: Tempur-Pedic offers comfort and support with two layers of premium TEMPUR foam material that adapts to the contours of the sleeper’s body.
- Climate control: The TEMPUR-Adapt series also features a SmartClimate dual cover system with a zip-off outer layer that remains cool to the touch and a super-stretch inner layer for added comfort.
- Pressure point and pain relief: Tempur-Pedic mattresses come with layers of foam above their innerspring core, which allows for increased pressure point relief and can help those who suffer from back pain.
- Motion isolation: The foam used in Tempur-Pedic mattresses helps to prevent motion disturbances for those who share a bed with a partner.
Sleep Number price: A Classic Series twin-size Sleep Number mattress costs $499, while a California king from the Innovation Series will cost $5,799.
Tempur-Pedic price: The price of a Tempur-Pedic mattress will also vary by size, ranging from $1,699 for a twin to $8,599 for a California king.
|Customer satisfaction||Read reviews||Read reviews|
|Twin||Twin XL||Full||Queen||King||California King||Split King||Customer satisfaction|
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.