Find the Best Tax Software and Services
Compare Top Tax Software and Services
Read 629 Reviews
Requires a minimum $10,000 tax debt. Initial fees range from $500 to $750. Gives full or partial refunds for services not rendered. Accredited by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. Offers free consultations.
|Intuit - TurboTax|
Read 3,101 Reviews
Intuit TurboTax is a company that has created software solutions for tax completion and filing. TurboTax was developed in the mid-1980s by a San Diego-based company called Chipsoft, which was ultimately acquired by Intuit.
Read 773 Reviews
TaxACT is a company that allows customers to complete, file, and print their taxes for free via the Internet. With its headquarters in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, the company is a subsidiary of Blucora Internet services.
Read 1,379 Reviews
Jackson Hewitt is a large tax preparation company with more than 6,300 locations across the United States. The company offers customers help in filing their taxes via a Jackson Hewitt franchise or easily online.
Read 2,715 Reviews
Offers multiple kinds of tax services. Free and paid plans available. Work with tax professionals. Get 24/7 customer support. Multiple ways to receive service both online and in-store.
Read 93 Reviews
TaxAudit.com is a company that was originally created by TaxResources, Inc. This company provides its customers with tax audit representation and taxpayer education so that they don't have to deal with the IRS on their own.
Read 160 Reviews
TaxSlayer is a company with a range of products to help customers e-file their taxes. Based in Evans, GA, Taxslayer has several different product options for customers to choose from -- Basic, Classic, Premium, Military, and more.
|Tax Group Center|
Read 114 Reviews
Requires a minimum tax debt of $5,000. Tax relief services start at around $1,500 and include a 100% price protection guarantee. Employs tax attorneys and CPAs on staff. Member of the California Tax Education Council.
|Liberty Tax Service|
Read 415 Reviews
Founded in 1997, Liberty Tax Service offers reliable tax services to clients in both the United States and Canada. The company is headquartered in Virginia Beach, VA, and has franchise locations across the country.
Read 40 Reviews
Free1040TaxReturn.com offers its customers safe and secure, simple tax completion and filing services for convenience. The company offers an easy filing process, and currently serves customers in 21 U.S. states.
What to consider when choosing tax software
The most important feature of any tax software program is accuracy. An inaccurate tax return could cost a taxpayer hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Both errors in favor of the taxpayer and in favor of the IRS can be costly.
- Error check: Most tax software programs run an error check prior to filing the tax return.
- Accuracy guarantee: Companies typically offer an accuracy guarantee, which ensures that the calculations the program completes are accurate. The guarantee doesn’t cover human mistakes, though, so it is important that taxpayers verify all of the data entered into the system.
- Professional review: Some programs allow taxpayers to pay an additional fee to have their return reviewed by a tax professional.
Ease of use
No matter how accurate and well priced a tax software program is, if it isn't easy-to-use then customers will take their business elsewhere. Tax time is stressful for many taxpayers, and the last thing anyone wants is the challenges of a difficult to use program.
- Online programs: Web-based software programs eliminate the need for a local software installation, which reduces compatibility problems.
- Interviews: The most popular tax software programs use an interview approach to gather tax data; this makes tax preparation a simple and hassle-free process.
- Table of contents: In addition to the interview approach, many of the more popular programs allow taxpayers to pick and choose specific forms. This is a great feature for more experienced users.
Data security is of the utmost importance. Hackers, unscrupulous employees, fires and floods are just a few of the ways that your data could be compromised or lost.
- Data security software: A completed tax return has everything an identity thief needs to set up financial accounts in your name. Tax software companies need to utilize the latest in security software and post a security policy online.
- Account disclosures: Tax software companies should disclose what happens to your credit card or bank account information when your return is complete. Is the data stored for future use or removed from the system?
- Disaster recovery plan: Companies should also have an adequate disaster recovery plan in place because a fire or natural disaster could destroy your data. Taxpayers that failed to make a personal backup won’t have access to important financial records.
Help and support
Tax software, at its core, is a do-it-yourself project. There is a reason that taxpayers, by the millions, opt for software programs over an accountant – they like the DIY aspect. However, people do run into problems, so a solid help and support system is an integral part of any tax software package.
- Live chat support: Companies can provide longer support hours by utilizing a live chat support service.
- Phone support: Even web-based programs need to have a phone support option because there are some problems that can’t be solved efficiently using text-based interactions.
- Knowledge base: Most DIY taxpayers would rather research their problems than wait for a customer service response, which makes a comprehensive knowledge base a valuable resource.
Tax refund options
Gone are the days of waiting months for a check from the IRS to arrive in your mailbox. While taxpayers can still opt to receive a paper check, the IRS and most tax software programs offer direct deposit and other refund options like U.S. Savings Bonds, prepaid debit cards and more.
- Direct deposit: All of the major tax software providers offer customers a direct deposit option.
- Paper checks: The IRS and software companies still offer paper checks to taxpayers expecting a refund.
- Prepaid debit cards: A prepaid debit card loaded with the refund is a great option for taxpayers without a bank account.
A tax software program that offers multiple filing options is preferred. While online filing is a popular choice, not every taxpayer has access to the Internet or wants to submit sensitive data electronically. A program that offers both online and print and mail options leaves this decision up to the customer.
- Online: All of the popular tax software programs allow online tax filing, in addition to tax preparation services.
- Print and mail: Some programs allow taxpayers to print and mail a copy of their returns.
- Online and print: The best option is to file your return electronically and then print a copy for personal records.
Types of tax software
Online tax software
An online tax software program is entirely web-based. The program shouldn’t require any downloading, aside from a plugin or two. Most online programs store historical tax return data and allow users to download a copy for personal records.
Downloadable tax software
Unlike online programs, a package that is downloaded or purchased at a local computer store involves a local software installation. Returns can often be prepared without an internet connection, although connectivity will be required for product updates and electronic filing.
Tax software apps
The rise in popularity of smartphones and tablets has opened up a new segment of tax software – mobile applications. Some tax programs allow a return to be prepared and filed entirely through a mobile app, while other companies use apps to supplement an online program.
Professional tax software
Even tax professionals use software to complete tax returns. There are a variety of products marketed specifically to tax professionals but the vast majority of individual filers will never need to research or use these products.
Tax software and service questions
- What software do CPAs use for taxes?
- There are over a dozen tax software programs for CPAs to choose from. The software that your CPA uses will depend on their personal preference and your tax needs.
- Who is the cheapest tax preparer?
- It depends on your tax needs. There are multiple do-it-yourself tax preparation programs with varying levels of services, but use them at your own risk. It may be less stressful to hire a professional.
- Are online tax services safe?
- If you’re working with a reputable tax service company, yes. Don’t give a company your personal information without checking a few things first, like:
- Their BBB rating
- Their consumer reviews
- Their rates and fees
- Do I need a license to prepare tax returns?
- Yes, the IRS states that anyone who prepares taxes must have a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN).
- Can I file my business taxes myself?
- Yes, you can file your business taxes yourself using online tax software.
- What is the easiest tax program to use?
- Picking the easiest tax software will depend on your specific needs. While a tax professional will cost more than doing your taxes yourself, it could save you a run-in with the IRS.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Tax software reviews
This company gives you easy access to tax software while guaranteeing maximum refunds. It offers services nationwide, with live CPAs available to answer questions or offer assistance. Start filing your taxes by entering some simple information about yourself regarding any major life changes. Based on your answers, it recommends the right tax solutions, while also directing you to possible tax deductions.
This company has comprehensive tax filing services for every kind of filer. It has a maximum-refund guarantee, a money-back guarantee and a satisfaction guarantee. Head to its website and answer a few questions to find out which tax filing plan is right for you.
This company’s online tax services are affordable and easy to use. It has 24/7 support, and its software lets you complete your tax forms from any mobile device, including your phone.
This company offers tax services online and in-store, and it even has free filing services for simple tax returns. If you’re unsure how to file or what forms to fill out, visit H&R Block’s website and answer a few questions. Its software then directs you to the correct tax forms to fill out.
This company offers customers tax software and services in-store and online. Depending on your status, you may be eligible for free filing. Once you’ve filed your taxes, Jackson Hewitt lets you easily check the status of your refund through your online account.
This is the online version of Liberty Tax Service. As part of Liberty Tax Service, eSmart Tax makes several promises to its customers, including satisfaction, accuracy, biggest-refund and lock-in guarantees.
Compare Top Tax Software and Services
Read 55 Reviews
eSmart Tax provides its customers with helpful and reliable online tax preparation services for both federal and state taxes. This company is the online division of the larger tax services company, Liberty Tax.
|TaxSimple||Read Author Review|
TaxSimple offers customers simple online tax software for help with federal and state taxes. The company has been in business for over 30 years, and they offer three levels of service to help with tax completion.
|Power Tax Relief||Read 30 Reviews||Out Of Business|
Power Tax Relief is a company that specializes in tax resolution for customers who need help in filing their taxes. The company handles a range of situations, from IRS Liens, late tax returns, wage garnishment, and more.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.