1.28/5
Based on 101 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

597 TaxACT Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 13, 2018

I used TAXACT online software for filing my 2017 Tax. After filing, I received a penalty notice from Franchise Tax Board California for incorrect calculation of taxes. When I contacted Franchise Tax Board they explained to me that TaxAct software has incorrectly calculated my taxes and TaxAct determined that I do not owe penalty however as per the FORM 5805 instructions the penalty should have been assessed and Franchise Tax Board calculations are correct. All the data that I entered into TaxAct while filing the taxes were correct but TaxAct software has major bug in determination of estimated tax payment penalty. To be specific, as per FORM 5805, if the 2016 AGI is greater than $150K, the 110% of Taxes paid in 2016 should be entered in Part II Line #5 in the form.

This requirement is very clear on FORM 5805 and very basic check to determine the penalty. But TaxAct does not have this check. This software calculation error may have impacted all their customers not just me. Contacted their customers service but they are of no use, very bad experience. If you received a penalty notice from Franchise Tax Board California related to estimated tax payments, then it is due to wrong calculation by TaxAct, please be aware. I will never use TaxAct again. Stay away from them!

Original review: July 13, 2018

Used TaxACT 2017 for federal return. It calculated I owed $2400. Yesterday I received a refund for almost $1600. Tried to contact TaxACT for help understanding what was wrong. After filling out their contact form for help the page is not available. - I will never use this program again. In the past I also used the state add-in. It never calculated the tax correctly.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 1, 2018

Fees were 90.00 for basic joint married return with no deductions. My old bank account was just charged by TaxACT Republic Bank for 17 more dollars last week. This was not the account I paid TaxACT with. The account is used for one specific bill pay and TaxACT additional charges 5 months after transaction caused me an overdraft fee. Outrageous!!! Feds need to investigate TaxACT for fraud. Fees are not disclosed and transactions are unauthorized for hidden fees. Do not use TaxACT!!!

Original review: June 8, 2018

I've used TaxAct.com for years, paying them to E-File and send what I owed. Never again. This year, after struggling with a MUCH more difficult-to-navigate user interface, I paid that extra money so they could extract what I owed and send it to the Feds and (first time it's been available for CA) the state. I was super excited that it was able to knock out both this year. INSTEAD THEY TOOK MY MONEY AND PAID NEITHER. I will never use them again.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I used TaxACT in 2016 for my taxes, so used them again this year, because I thought it would be easier, as they could pull the information from my previous year's tax return. Not so much. I filed 3/4/18 and everything went through. Nearly 2 months go by, no return, so I finally look online and it says I didn’t actually file. I attempted to e-file once again, it told me I could not file. I finally end up paying $66 to file YET AGAIN and still am unable. In the meantime, they have already got $66 from me (for their “free” version), I have already got a penalty fee from IRS and STILL unable to file... after countless hours! Never again will I do use this service!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taxactonline.com?

Original review: May 3, 2018

This is the first time I used TaxACT for my income tax and will be the last. I completed a very simple tax return and now the IRS has put a hold on my taxes. I filed electronically 04/11/3018. I am now being told my tax refund will be on hold for another 9 weeks. This is ridiculous. Never again.

Original review: April 26, 2018

After several years of using TaxAct, this year fewer things are actually free and to my utter amazement, BEFORE finishing taxes OR clicking on final buttons for filing, the process began to "hold funds" from my account, not releasing them for 8 days... This must be illegal.

Original review: April 21, 2018 I have used TaxACT for five years in the past. I never had a problem until this year. My return was rejected at least 14 times by the IRS. The reason given was for improper name, improper Social Security number, improper 2016 adjusted gross income amount, improper pin from 2016. None of these were incorrect. I tried to call TaxACT support number and was told by recording due to the high volume of calls I need to call back later. Instead of being able to wait on hold till the next available representative they hang up on you so you cannot ever get through to anybody. I called 76 times in three hours, I got the same results every time, None!
I then tried their email support, and wrote out exactly what my problem was and now it is been over a week and still have not received a response from TaxACT!

Next year; Back to TurboTax!

Original review: April 18, 2018

My first year as a Tax Preparer was a success. Thanks to TaxACT and their wonderful staff! I honestly wouldn't have done it without you guys! Being my first year I had a lot of questions and concerns regarding returns, the staff was always available in a timely matter which is essence in this field. I would definitely recommend this software! See you next year!

Original review: April 18, 2018

I didn't even think twice about what software to use for this year's return. TaxACT had been faithful for many years. I now wish I had paid closer attention to the ads for others because I will be choosing one of them next year. The software was much less user friendly than I remember, the cost is MUCH higher and the whole experience was more stressful. Banking information (for my refund) that had been imported for several years was suddenly could not be verified. Customer support, on several attempts, was a recorded message that call volume was too high to service those of us with a paid account. Too bad. So long TaxACT.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Advertise free filing and they go up every year. I did not even e-file through them they charged me $39.99 for my federal and $39.99 for state return as well. You have to pay these fees to file or they will not file for you, this will be the last year I am using them. They are a HUGE JOKE. They need to be reported to BBB!!!

Original review: April 17, 2018

We have used TaxAct in the past, but "what happened" this year? The price to file increased threefold, the help buttons were not "helpful," and once you file with the high prices, you are now unable to access the status of your filing. What has happened to TaxAct? We will no longer use them.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Not easy to use, fees are a ripoff - I have used Tax Act for years and it has become more confusing and difficult to use each year. It used to have a reasonable cost but not this year. $37 to file state taxes? That is ridiculous. Never will use them again.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I have used TaxAct for several years and been Very satisfied. The software was easy to use and I paid about $30 to e-file both state and federal returns. However, this year the price to use the software alone for deductions was $29. Then it came time to actually file and the price jumped to $37 each to file my state returns. So I figure I’ll just print them and mail them. But then it charges $37 to print each form!!! Why?!?

I’ve paid my money to use the software, you’re not e-filing for me, but you’re charging as if I had. Why have the prices skyrocketed? The only difference I can see is it’s more difficult to use than previous years. I didn’t even get a digital receipt for paying... 3 different times mind you. There was no option to pay in one lump sum and it’s my own fault for not writing down confirmation numbers. I paid the money because I spent hours trying to figure it out, but I won’t be returning next year. What used to be $30 cost $108. This level of price gouging has me looking for a new company. At their prices I could get someone else to go through the hassle of preparing my taxes for me.

Original review: April 11, 2018

The website is terrible; every other button logs you out for no reason whatsoever, and it's poorly laid out to where finding your way is a nightmare. It costs too much; for these prices I may as well hire somebody to do it for me.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Something went very wrong with this company. Loved TaxACT for years. This year prices doubled, software is crap, my return didn't file, last year's information did not populate into the return. Very unhappy former customer. Very sorry to have to leave.

Original review: April 8, 2018

Last year I had the worst experience with TaxACT and I said that I would not return. But this year I needed to get the return downloaded and could not find it. I went on to a customer service chat and it was frustrating to say the least. She was as helpful as a brick wall. She saw that I overpaid and didn't offer to do anything for me. Which is ok because I wasn't looking for a refund I simply wanted to get a hold of my return. After spending about 30 minutes back-and-forth with her the connection was conveniently lost. I went back to regain our connection and she did not answer. So much for customer service. They will not have my business again. I don't know what happened to TaxACT but something is terribly wrong there now.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I have been using TaxAct for years and have never had any problem with their question answer section or just filling out the forms. Over the years they have upped the program requirement to accomplish filing the same content I filed 15 years ago. So I have gone from $10 to $40. I understand that, but going from Deluxe to Plus at $20 more in the last year, then to not be able to file electronically because the advanced program, which cost more, I'm using this year lacks a form I don't even need is ridiculous. And this form is what I need to file electronically. Someone is putting roadblocks in the Program that tries to make you upgrade even when you don't need to. Rip Off. I'm pissed. I don't know how many people I turned onto TaxAct, but never again. Very dissatisfied with this new philosophy and money grab.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I got my entire thing done and then it wanted me to review things, it jacked up everything I had done and there was no undoing it without getting out and back in. I only started with them because of their $5 offer. My work is all gone and the $5 offer is too. I wasted so much time on their site, $5 is too much for their garbage.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I have been using TaxACT since the early 90s. Before, if I had a problem I could always bounce over to the tax form itself and enter the data on the line number. This year the forms are all hidden from view. Everything is menu or question driven. It took me over an hour just to find by accident where to put the property tax figures at. And that was with using their instructions on how to get to that field. I even made a mistake by purchasing their "Upgrade" in hopes the tax forms would appear. Nope! Sure didn't. That was a $39.95 mistake.

I had to do taxes for two different states. I wasted my entire Saturday trying to get the taxes filled out with their program. The program was not taking the data and sharing it with the other form. It got so bad I did the taxes manually. Somehow, I hit the right combo online and it finally calculated out to what I had down already on paper even though I couldn't see the actual forms. Now for another $74.00 they will allow me to submit the two states electronically. $113.95 total and probably close to 16 hours spent doing them. Plus this makes day 4 of not receiving an email from them about the forms not calculating between the states.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I have been using TaxACT 3-4 years. It was good and cheap. But this year I have experienced money grubbing practice while doing my taxes. Schedule C is suddenly gone and I had to purchase "freelance..." That's about as close as you can get to being robbed. I will use another company next year, even if it costs more. Because I choose to pay more, not because I "have" to pay. That was low... Very very low.

Original review: March 27, 2018

They are deceptive on their pricing and structure of filing, not only is it not free but, they charge an excessive amount. You have no idea how much until you have wasted your time filling out the pages. Do not use this company for taxes!

Original review: March 27, 2018

My daughter is away at school and I was helping her prepare her tax return. It's fairly simple as she doesn't make a ton of money. I completed her return and gave her the information so she could access her return and file it. We're not able to access the partially completed return because the program does not recognize the email address or phone number. I will be starting the return over with a different program. Don't waste your time with this one.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Thanks TaxAct for NOTHING. You DROPPED the BALL on ME and NOW I have YOUR MESS to clean up! TaxAct NEVER e-filed my tax return from 2017, EVEN THOUGH I have ALL of 'hard copies' of my tax return from their electronic return that I printed out. Obviously I printed these out for my records. In the meantime, the IRS sent me a letter not that long ago saying they received my check to them, BUT NEVER received my tax return. And recently I was on HOLD for about 22 minutes with the IRS. I gave up. (Obviously, this is a WHOLE OTHER issue). Anyhow, DO NOT USE TaxAct.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I read everyone comments above or below - I agreed with all of them. My owner personal problem with TAXACT. I want to share it with everyone. I am a paid customer and I need help but I got NOTHING!! I just started using TAXACT this year for a small business. I have difficult time adding Self-Employment Tax form and needed some help. I called the customer service (319) 373-3600 early in the morning. I selected the option "For do it yourself and have questions"... NO ONE PICK UP MY CALL - ALL I GOT WAS an answering system saying, "We have a high call volume and cannot pick-up this time". The next thing was, "Good BYE" or, "Go to our website." I should have checked the reviews before I paid them. Maybe I should ask for a refund for poor customer service!!!

Original review: March 23, 2018

I have never had such a difficult time filing my taxes. It would have been easier, honestly - and free - to file paper returns. It was a very bad surprise when I was forced to pay $59.95 to access Schedule C, though I had only $1500 of self-employment income. You don't find out the price until the very end, of course - at which point you have already invested many hours of your time.

Also, the software encouraged me to make an IRA contribution, showing a dramatically increased refund amount if I did so. So I did it. And then using the same info on me the system already had, it then told me I was not eligible for any IRA deduction AND that my IRA contributions which it had encouraged me to make - as part of some commercial partnership that makes money for TaxAct - would actually cost me an additional $500+ in taxes owed! This software is crap. Don't use it. They have no regard for customers.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I used TaxACT for my 2017 tax return. The calculation were all wrong. Even though I was doing my federal tax return, it ran calculation to pay tax to Nebraska. My return would have been $1,629.9 but I received only $752.00 because TaxACT had pay tax to Nebraska from my federal return. It is awful.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I’ve used TaxACT for many years and this year they have increased their pricing quite a bit... Having said this I found a huge flaw in their software which my brother who is a CPA said is a horrible flaw most people won’t catch, it’s a programming error on their part. I’ve called and emailed TaxACT a number of times to address and warn them of this error. I suspect they increased their rates because they are going out of business next year with the new simpler tax reform, but who knows, they’ll certainly have a few lawsuits as their programming error would have cost me over $11,000 plus penalties.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Previously, TaxAct Plus included Schedule C and C-EZ. For 2017, they have included the forms in the initial input screens then made them non-accessible for either viewing or printing. They now require an additional payment of $35 to access these forms even though they are already completed in the software package. To make matters even worse, the system prevents printing the completed returns for federal and state unless the additional $35 module is purchased. Having used TA for several years I am extremely upset by this new approach and will no longer use their software. How can they expect me to pay $35 extra just to access one page Schedule C-EZ. Had to print every page separately this year because complete return would not print due to this money-grubbing change. Used Schedule C-EZ direct from IRS. No more TaxAct for me! They have lost a 10 year customer!

Original review: March 20, 2018

I have used TaxAct every year since 2000. Every year I paid $12.95 to efile a federal return (no state), with a small business. This was using a full software application that was powerful and well written. Even when calling customer service, they were simply wonderful. Then in 2016, almost overnight, they raised the price by about 4x. And, at that price I am forced to use a poorly written web interface that is not user friendly for long time customers.

At $12.95 the product was probably too inexpensive. But, to raise the price on long-time customers by 4x and at the same time provide a much poorer interface? This is one of the worst customer service mistakes I have seen made by a company. This product went from being one of best values to one of the worst in one bad PR move. And, their customer service is now really poor. It is my belief that the customer service is poor due to the bad attitudes of employees having to deal with an angry public. Way to go TaxAct. You screwed up a terrific company.

Taxactonline.com expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

TaxACT launched in 1998 and has grown to become the second most popular tax software program available. For the past seven years, TaxACT has maintained its number two spot, providing tax preparation and filing services to more than 38 million customers.

• Economical: TaxACT is a great solution for money-conscious consumers. The company’s top of the line package, the Ultimate Bundle, only costs $21.95 and includes federal and state return filing fees.

• Transparency: TaxACT prides itself on its transparency – there are no hidden fees or gimmicks, pricing is straightforward and available upfront.

• Mobile app: Customers can download and save documents using the new TaxACT mobile app.

• Interface: TaxACT is one of the more cumbersome products on the market and customers with a complex return may be better off spending a little extra money to save both time and frustration.

• Customer service: Customers that need tax help or assistance troubleshooting a problem will have to make a long distance call as no toll-free number tech support number is available.

• Best for: Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals, Sole Proprietors

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby

Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

TaxACT Company Information

Taxactonline.com
www.taxact.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business