TaxACT

TaxACT
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.35/5

Get matched with the best Tax Relief company for you!

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Get matched with the best Tax Relief company for you!

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

TaxACT Reviews

Original review: April 19, 2019

Was my first time using TaxAct. I thought it was so easy to use that I had to research to ensure it was legit. The software explained my taxes and compared it to previous years to show any discrepancies. Only minor problem was that the help section didn't offer solid information about 1099-B forms. However Google answered my question. Best part of this program was that the tax prep fee was only $5 since I was a first time user!

Original review: March 19, 2019

TurboTax is easy and quick to use. If you are familiar with tax items or schedules, avoid the prompts to pay for an "upgraded service". I have used them for years and they are accurate. I have only once have had to use a paid version because of a one time tax problem and everything worked out great.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I file a simple 1040; no deductions. For me, everything was free. It was very easy; all I had to do was fill in the blanks from my 1099-R’s. Since I recognize they have to make money somewhere, they are rather annoying with pushing so many superfluous products and services, but I am fine with that. Two hours and everything was filed and my refund is on its way. I am very pleased.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Easy to do, easy to understand, easy on the pocketbook, easy to respond, easy to file. It is a snap. Don't use others unless there is other issues with you. It was my choice after trying other programs and that is something I was not willing to do.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I used TaxACT for the first time this year. It was so easy and painless. I only did a simple 1040. But it was free! Looking forward now to my refund. TaxAct is highly recommended in my book... Better than TurboTax, H&R Block and all of them IMO.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taxactonline.com?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

Not only do the fees keep going North, this year there were boatloads of "disconnects" and redirecting back to the log in. Tried to do my husband's 8332 form; kept disconnecting with the dreaded "Let's try that again." No matter what browser nor clearing the cache, nor in incognito mode. For a non-custodial dad who needs to claim a dependent as fast as possible before the biomom/ex "forgets" that it is not her year to claim Junior, this is not a good situation. Speed in filing matters! Going to look elsewhere stat!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

Very disappointed in this company. Up until 2017 they were great. Decent quality software for preparing personal taxes with all the bells and whistles. I viewed them as an underdog. Never had any problems. I recommended them to everyone for doing their taxes on the cheap, even for complicated situations. Not any more.

They more than doubled their price overnight. I called and complained that I didn't get to "lock in" my price for the next year like I had done for many years. They let me pay what I wanted for that year. But, the next year was worse. So, I called and complained and they again gave me a discount. But, this year the 30% discount is still more than last year's "normal" price. And, I STILL refuse to pay. So, I am done with TaxAct. I don't know who took over the company since about 2016 to 2017, but it wasn't for the better. Good bye, TaxAct.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

MASSIVE BAIT AND SWITCH crooks. Used them last year, taxes were simple and didn't make much money. At the very end, after all the work is done, the free price jumped to almost $90, no explanation, just said my very simple return didn't qualify for free. Don't waste your time or money.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

First waited 2hours and 30 minutes to get a call back from sales person and what a horrible experience!! She mentioned that she was super tired since she has been working since 8 in the morning and not in a mood to talk to a customer. Instead of working with me on trying to find best program and price she kept repeating how tired she is and how late I am to order the program. Meanwhile it’s December when I am trying to order program.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

WARNING! TaxAct let me file an extension thinking it had gone through their system. It gave me a screen shot upon completion, stating: "Filing Extension - Complete." "You have completed the filing extension process." But it did NOT file the extension--in fact, it somehow tied it to a second return that I wasn't aware of or even filed. I end up getting hit with a $1,000+ penalty for failure to file a return.

Fast forward to today--I asked the people at TaxAct to please send me a letter I could use to help get an abatement of a $1,000 fine from the IRS. I even sent them a screen shot of the extension notice. THEY REFUSED- AND CLAIMED IT WAS MY FAULT. Again, I wasn't even asking for money from them, just help in saying there was some confusion and that's why I should receive an abatement. But no--they won't admit ANY kind of responsibility for the confusing screen shot and have refused to help me at all. I will NEVER, EVER use TaxAct again. Live and learn, but they clearly didn't have my back on this.

Not sure about TaxACT?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right tax relief company for you.

Taxactonline.com expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

TaxACT launched in 1998 and has grown to become the second most popular tax software program available. For the past seven years, TaxACT has maintained its number two spot, providing tax preparation and filing services to more than 38 million customers.

• Economical: TaxACT is a great solution for money-conscious consumers. The company’s top of the line package, the Ultimate Bundle, only costs $21.95 and includes federal and state return filing fees.

• Transparency: TaxACT prides itself on its transparency – there are no hidden fees or gimmicks, pricing is straightforward and available upfront.

• Mobile app: Customers can download and save documents using the new TaxACT mobile app.

• Interface: TaxACT is one of the more cumbersome products on the market and customers with a complex return may be better off spending a little extra money to save both time and frustration.

• Customer service: Customers that need tax help or assistance troubleshooting a problem will have to make a long distance call as no toll-free number tech support number is available.

• Best for: Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals, Sole Proprietors

by Melissa Hincha-Ownby Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

TaxACT Company Information