3.6/5 (249 ratings)

About TaxAct

TaxAct is a software program that helps you file your state and federal taxes. The software provides step-by-step guidance for preparing your tax return, whether you are filing a basic federal return or are a self-employed user looking to get all the deductions for which you qualify.

Pros

• Accuracy and max-refund guarantees
  • Variety of helpful tools
  • More affordable than other programs

Cons

• Fees for state returns
  • Less accessible customer service

Bottom Line

TaxAct is tax-filing software that guides you through tax preparation with a question and answer format. It lacks the frills of some other tax software, but it also offers a lower price point.

Top TaxAct Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I love Tax Act because they are a reputable company recommended by the IRS. Very user friendly. Very accurate tax filing. That get you the most refund in a timely manner. And it w...

Verified

Easy to use, asks all the right questions and provides answers you might need in each category. Brings up items that the average citizen does not think of without help. This is th...

What is TaxAct?

To get started with TaxAct, visit its website to determine which plan is right for you. TaxAct has four plans to choose from:

• Free: This plan works well for straightforward claims. The company recommended it for filers with dependents, college expenses or retirement income. The package handles W-2 income, dependents, child tax credits, current students, retirement income and more.
  • Deluxe+: TaxAct says this is its most popular plan. It’s suitable for homeowners with deductions, credits and adjustments. Customers get everything from the free plan, plus itemized deductions, mortgage interest, real estate taxes and more.
  • Premier+: This plan benefits users who have investments or rental property. It offers prioritized support. The plan has the same features as the Deluxe+ plan, plus stocks, sale of homes or other investments, investment income expenses, rental property income and more.
  • Self Employed+: This plan is for self-employed taxpayers looking to maximize their deductions. Users get everything from the Premier+ plan as well as year-round tax resources, help with freelance, business and farm income, personalized business deductions and more.

TaxAct provides a $100,000 accuracy guarantee and a maximum-refund guarantee. You have access to your returns for seven years after the filing date.

How does TaxAct work?

Once you sign up for TaxAct’s services, you can begin filing your tax return for free. You're not obligated to pay until you've completed the return and are ready to file. Like other tax software, TaxAct uses a question-and-answer format to guide you in preparing your taxes. Support is available through the entire process.

TaxAct will help reduce your risk of being audited by checking for omissions or other errors. It offers a real-time refund status, so you're always in the loop about your refund progress. There are also some free tools on the website, such as a tax calculator, self-employment tax calculator and a tax FAQ page.

TaxAct pricing

TaxAct has a plan for every budget and need. It offers a free plan for filing federal taxes. Its popular Deluxe+ plan costs $54.95, while the Premier+ plan is $79.95 and the Self-Employed+ plan is $109.95. There is an extra fee for state filing that ranges from $29.95 to $54.95 per state.

TaxAct FAQ

Can I use TaxAct for previous years?
E-filing of previous years isn’t available with TaxAct, but customers can print their completed tax return and mail it to the IRS. If you’re looking to purchase previous editions of TaxAct, downloadable programs are available as far back as 2012. Online programs are offered for the previous year.
Is TaxAct really free?
TaxAct offers four plans: Free, Deluxe+, Premier+ and Self-employed+. Customers can choose between the free plan or one of the paid plans. State taxes still cost $29.95 or more per state filed.
How do I contact TaxAct?
TaxAct offers email and phone support. Customer service hours vary depending on the time of year.
What bank does TaxAct use for refunds?
TaxAct partners with Republic Bank & Trust Company for refunds. You can choose to have your software fees paid from your tax refund. The IRS deposits it with Republic Bank, which deposits the proper amount into your account.
Who owns TaxAct?
Blucora owns TaxAct. Formerly known as InfoSpace, Blucora is a financial service provider.
Is TaxAct free for federal and state taxes?
TaxAct is not free for both federal and state taxes. There is a charge per state filed.
Does TaxAct charge for direct deposit?
There is no fee for direct deposit. Your banking information can't be changed once you input it, so it's essential to make sure the information is correct. Otherwise, the IRS sends you a check, which can take up to six weeks.

Is TaxAct legit?

TaxAct is user-friendly, affordable software that just about anyone can use. With extra features and plans for every budget, we think TaxAct is a good option for first-time filers or people who want a completely online filing service.

TaxAct Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TaxAct?

Original review: March 2, 2021

After 10 years of use, TaxAct has proved to be a solid and efficient software. The price is less than the others and still offers the same services. The process is streamlined and the prompts are easy to follow, especially with investments and a rental property. After gathering your paperwork and info, it takes a few hours. It has itemization and educational tools and "Xpert" help if you have a question. Audit protection is extra. I'll continue with Tax Act until I need to hire tax professional.

Original review: March 1, 2021

I have used TaxAct the past couple of years in order to file both my state and federal taxes without any problems whatsoever. When they say they are able to file the most accurate return, they mean it. I say that because they allow more options to choose from when it comes to deductions, for instance, when filing. The platform as a whole is simple to use and the pricing options are quite fair, as well. You can save even more, (20% off the cost of your federal filing), when you visit their website via the following link: https://refer.taxact.com/s/**.

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 1, 2021

This program is simple to use, and free because I just use it to check my hand done returns. It seems to catch any mistakes and omissions so I just keep restarting it until I get it right. If I really need it, I can opt for the pay-for version and file that way but have not had to do that as yet.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

I have used TaxAct for about 10 years now. My taxes have grown more complex since I started, with me now needing to use their small business package. Once I have all my tax documents, I typically sit down one evening and walk through the process on TaxAct's website (it's browser-based so you don't need to download any software). It usually takes me 45 min. - 1 hr. to complete, which includes multiple reviews and checks (both by myself and flags that TaxAct brings up to review). I've been really pleased with it and like that I can easily download a copy of my completed form at the end, which I keep for my records. I decided to first try TaxAct when I went to a major tax preparing company and it cost about $250 for the person to sit there and ask me questions and they enter it into their computer. I can save a lot of time and money by just having TaxAct ask me the questions and I fill it in accordingly. Really, really easy to use.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

I have used TaxAct.com to prepare and file my returns for the last 4 years. It's an easy to use application that has gotten even easier each year. I have a complicated return that is made so much easier using this site. The only reason I gave it 4 stars is because the fees have gone up quite a bit since last year. My return cost so much more than I expected with one fee after another.

Original review: July 12, 2021

I've been using Taxact for several years now. I efiled my tax return on April 14, 2021. It is now July 12, 2021, 3 months later, and I still have not received my return. When I contacted the IRS they said it was delayed because I entered a rebate amount in line 30 of my tax return. I did not. I entered the correct amounts of stimulus I received in both boxes and taxact somehow calculated I was owed additional money and put an amount into the rebate box. I've found that several tax prep companies have the same issue with their software.

I've tried contacting taxact but have gotten no assistance. They send me automated responses that have absolutely nothing to do with my problem. I reply to every email saying it was of no assistance and to please give an actual solution, and they send another automated response of no use. This just goes on and on. I'm pissed.

I'm a single mother of 3 and desperately need that money to keep my head above water. On top of that, I paid to have "professionals" assist me with my taxes and instead wind up waiting months for the money I worked all year to earn. It's absolutely infuriating!! I can assure you I will NOT be using their service in the years to come. Aside from creating errors on my return, they don't even have the decency to respond with apologies or solutions. They couldn't care less about their customers. Thanks taxact! 3 months and counting...

Original review: June 14, 2021

I switched from TurboTax to TaxAct, this year. It was very to fill out. I am self employed so I wasn't sure what to do. I filled my taxes no problem, but I haven't received my refund. I CAN'T track it because I'm self employed. Their website says it takes like 21 days to receive your refund. It has been 3 months. I'm thinking I should have stayed with turbo tax.

Original review: May 17, 2021

I have used the paid version of Taxact before with acceptable results. This year, I tried to assist my mom with her very simple tax return and it looked like the free version would work. I got through all the data entry but forgot to enter her estimated state tax payments for the year. When I did this, Taxact demanded about $50 to upgrade to a paid version and would not even allow me to review her data or look at the 1040 preview form anymore. This is unfair and I lost all the time entering her data. I ultimately switched to a truly free tax program for Federal and did her very simple state taxes the old fashioned way, with paper. Nobody from Taxact ever tried to help me with this and I don't plan on using them ever again after this bad experience, even paid versions.

Original review: May 10, 2021

I had been using TaxAct for more than 6 years. I always have had good experiences until this year. I had 2 problems, neither has been resolved. The first is more of an IRS issue where I had to file an amended return and the IRS has yet to even acknowledge it so what they think I owe is very different than what I really owe. However, TaxAct's "expert" Audit Protection Service didn't even understand the IRS rules around one of the line items (I actually educated them on the topic by pointing them to an IRS publication!). They (or I should say, we) crafted a letter to the IRS for follow-up; I'm not sure when it will be acknowledged.

The second is a true bait-n-switch on their Refer-A-Friend program. The terms that are currently stated on their website are very clear: "A 'new' TaxAct customer refers to anyone who did not file with TaxAct in the previous tax year." With that being said, the PREVIOUS year refers to 2019. I referred my son this year to file his 2020 taxes; he did file with TaxAct in 2018 and previous years but filed them himself in 2019.

After following up with TaxAct since they never sent the referral bonus, I received an email from Amanda in their Support Department and I quote, "Unfortunately the referral reward was declined as it was determined the referred friend has already been a TaxAct customer in 2018, 2017 and prior years. The purpose of the Refer-A-Friend program is to recruit new customers who have never heard of TaxAct or who have never used our services, that includes last year, but not limited to the year prior. I will put in a request to review the language used on our help pages to indicate a more accurate description of eligibility for the new customers recruited with the Refer-A-Friend program."

Regardless of what they think is the Refer-A-Friend "purpose", the terms that are CURRENTLY stated on their website are very clear and should be honored. Amanda chose not to honor them and ignored further follow-up attempts; classic bait-switch. I am definitely done with TaxAct.

Original review: April 18, 2021

I/we have used TaxAct to e-file our tax returns since before 2015. This year, for the 2020 return, I selected TAXACT free e-file through the IRS portal. Of course, since I was already registered with TAXACT, it asked for our logon credentials. We have a very, very, very, simple return, as simple as can be, but, still, it takes hours to gather everything you need, go to various sites to get information, and complete the return. After all of that, without saying anything about price until both the Fed and State returns were ready to be submitted, with full refund of our withholding on both, TAXACT said it would cost $124.90. Previously, for the years I can still see, it was $37, $29.95, $29.95, and $79.95. That secretive pricing policy, with no upfront information, is a pure scam!!!! & good luck trying to get ahold of anyone at TAXACT. I emailed them, with no reply, and when I started CHAT, I was at 59 minutes!!!!

TaxAct Company Information