Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.83/5

TaxAct is a software program that helps you file your state and federal taxes. The software provides step-by-step guidance for preparing your tax return, whether you are filing a basic federal return or are a self-employed user looking to get all the deductions for which you qualify.

BOTTOM LINE

TaxAct is tax-filing software that guides you through tax preparation with a question and answer format. It lacks the frills of some other tax software, but it also offers a lower price point.

PROS

• Accuracy and max-refund guarantees
  • Variety of helpful tools
  • More affordable than other programs

CONS

• Fees for state returns
  • Less accessible customer service

Top TaxAct Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TaxAct?

I love Tax Act because they are a reputable company recommended by the IRS. Very user friendly. Very accurate tax filing. That get you the most refund in a timely manner. And it was free for federal and state. I highly recommend this tax service to everyone.

Easy to use, asks all the right questions and provides answers you might need in each category. Brings up items that the average citizen does not think of without help. This is the 5th year that I have used TaxACT for myself and family without any problems.

What is TaxAct?

To get started with TaxAct, visit its website to determine which plan is right for you. TaxAct has four plans to choose from:

• Free: This plan works well for straightforward claims. The company recommended it for filers with dependents, college expenses or retirement income. The package handles W-2 income, dependents, child tax credits, current students, retirement income and more.
  • Deluxe+: TaxAct says this is its most popular plan. It’s suitable for homeowners with deductions, credits and adjustments. Customers get everything from the free plan, plus itemized deductions, mortgage interest, real estate taxes and more.
  • Premier+: This plan benefits users who have investments or rental property. It offers prioritized support. The plan has the same features as the Deluxe+ plan, plus stocks, sale of homes or other investments, investment income expenses, rental property income and more.
  • Self Employed+: This plan is for self-employed taxpayers looking to maximize their deductions. Users get everything from the Premier+ plan as well as year-round tax resources, help with freelance, business and farm income, personalized business deductions and more.

TaxAct provides a $100,000 accuracy guarantee and a maximum-refund guarantee. You have access to your returns for seven years after the filing date.

How does TaxAct work?

Once you sign up for TaxAct’s services, you can begin filing your tax return for free. You're not obligated to pay until you've completed the return and are ready to file. Like other tax software, TaxAct uses a question-and-answer format to guide you in preparing your taxes. Support is available through the entire process.

TaxAct will help reduce your risk of being audited by checking for omissions or other errors. It offers a real-time refund status, so you're always in the loop about your refund progress. There are also some free tools on the website, such as a tax calculator, self-employment tax calculator and a tax FAQ page.

TaxAct pricing

TaxAct has a plan for every budget and need. It offers a free plan for filing federal taxes. Its popular Deluxe+ plan costs $54.95, while the Premier+ plan is $79.95 and the Self-Employed+ plan is $109.95. There is an extra fee for state filing that ranges from $29.95 to $54.95 per state.

TaxAct FAQ

Can I use TaxAct for previous years?
E-filing of previous years isn’t available with TaxAct, but customers can print their completed tax return and mail it to the IRS. If you’re looking to purchase previous editions of TaxAct, downloadable programs are available as far back as 2012. Online programs are offered for the previous year.
Is TaxAct really free?
TaxAct offers four plans: Free, Deluxe+, Premier+ and Self-employed+. Customers can choose between the free plan or one of the paid plans. State taxes still cost $29.95 or more per state filed.
How do I contact TaxAct?
TaxAct offers email and phone support. Customer service hours vary depending on the time of year.
What bank does TaxAct use for refunds?
TaxAct partners with Republic Bank & Trust Company for refunds. You can choose to have your software fees paid from your tax refund. The IRS deposits it with Republic Bank, which deposits the proper amount into your account.
Who owns TaxAct?
Blucora owns TaxAct. Formerly known as InfoSpace, Blucora is a financial service provider.
Is TaxAct free for federal and state taxes?
TaxAct is not free for both federal and state taxes. There is a charge per state filed.
Does TaxAct charge for direct deposit?
There is no fee for direct deposit. Your banking information can't be changed once you input it, so it's essential to make sure the information is correct. Otherwise, the IRS sends you a check, which can take up to six weeks.

Is TaxAct legit?

TaxAct is user-friendly, affordable software that just about anyone can use. With extra features and plans for every budget, we think TaxAct is a good option for first-time filers or people who want a completely online filing service.

TaxAct Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TaxAct?

Original review: March 23, 2020

Their support was great but my taxes got too complicated for me to do them myself. I needed PA and CA state plus federal. I had several K-1 forms from Charitable Gift Annuities with multiyear deductions carried forward for 5 years even though I could deduct 50% off of my income (now 60%). And their price got too high, the difference between having them done and doing them myself became smaller and smaller. Took me days and days to complete, having them done took 2 hours and $90.

Original review: March 22, 2020

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: March 21, 2020

I've always used TurboTax, was very pleased with my decision to change. They had an issue with downloading the PDF from TurboTax but that is resolved. It was very easy to navigate through the screens. A very nice experience. My refund came very quickly and can't beat the price-free.

Original review: March 15, 2020

I love this company. I have been using Taxact for 15 years now. You go step by step and even review before you submit the final. They offer so many different packages to fit every need you could have. I have had to call and use a tax professional several times because I was lost. It was simple and not at all a pain like I thought it would be! They make it so simple and easy and their customer service is outstanding!

Original review: March 14, 2020

Tax Act is quick and easy to use. It prompts you through the entire process and transfers your info from the federal return to the state return as you fill out the federal. It is free to file both returns if you are taking the standard deductions. I've been using Tax Act for years and have no plans to change.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

This used to be the best service around after TaxSlayer went goofy. Well nix that!! TaxAct is now ungodly expensive and their cruddy software refused to file my return...then it filed TWICE!! It was totally their fault. You can end up filing multiple times...no warning and no way to protect yourself from this laggy glitchy ** filing problem. I CALLED TAXACT AND THEY AREN'T EVEN THERE!! YUP... nobody's home. They had a storm. Nobody's answering the damn phone. So I emailed. They send me a clueless message about some stimulus check. Bottom line...Now I have to paper file my taxes!! They suck. They should be helping with all of this!! Not cool. Never again, TaxAct...ever.

Original review: July 6, 2020

Don't know what the hell TaxAct was thinking this year. They raised prices by a huge amount this year - would have been $140 to file vs. maybe 80-90 last year and 60-70 the year before. Almost doubling the price in two years is crazy for something that hasn't really gotten much better. TaxAct used to be a good mid-range online tax service that wasn't the best but was a good value. No more -- I switched to H&R Block. It was less than half the price through Amazon and frankly its easier to use with slightly less obtuse explanations. It also went a little bit faster because of the better import tools. Wish I had switched last year but had years of history with TaxAct already.

Original review: June 26, 2020

I've used Tax Act for years, ignoring the problems in navigating the site, because it was reasonable. But this year they changed the pricing, and most importantly they didn't tell me the price until I was ready to file. The price more than doubled from last year (from $60ish to $140) for the same type of return. When I complained, they refunded $25 to me (after initially offering $15). This will be my last year with them. Honestly, it would also be less confusing if I do them by hand, like I used to do!

Original review: June 17, 2020

I have downloaded the TaxAct program for many years without an issue. The download version is now too expensive, so I decided to use the online version to file. After completing the form, I discovered that there was an error in the calculation of total deductions. About a dozen attempts to reach customer service were automatically ended following an automated message that stated that due to the high call volume they couldn't take the call.

After finally reaching someone, he put me on hold for several minutes while he researched the issue. At around 7:05pm Eastern Time the gentleman took me off hold to tell me that there was some type of calculation error (yes, that's why I called) possibly related to a limitation but he could not investigate this further because they are now closed and that I have to call back tomorrow to get someone to help. Understanding that the problem may not be simple and requires more research than he could perform with me on the phone since they are now closing, when I asked if he could look into this tomorrow when he returns back to work and get back to me, his response was "No that is not possible" and he just hung up! Very unprofessional!

Original review: May 15, 2020

Taxact used to be an easy reliable program to use, This year it was about impossible. I'm self-employed and had a very hard time finding where I needed to input my info, Such as I got all the way to the end of the federal and I was never offered to input my work mileage. I spent over 2 hrs trying to track that and other sections. Very confusing program now. I finally quit and went to Turbotax, completed and filed my federal and state taxes in 30 minutes. Tried Taxact one more time for my Girlfriend's taxes where the only input needed was her income, mortgage interest, HSA and property taxes. Same results, It was all over the place, 45 Mins. Quit and used Turbo. Complete in 20 minutes.

TaxAct Company Information