1.40/5

738 TaxACT Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 19, 2019

Was my first time using TaxAct. I thought it was so easy to use that I had to research to ensure it was legit. The software explained my taxes and compared it to previous years to show any discrepancies. Only minor problem was that the help section didn't offer solid information about 1099-B forms. However Google answered my question. Best part of this program was that the tax prep fee was only $5 since I was a first time user!

Original review: March 19, 2019

TurboTax is easy and quick to use. If you are familiar with tax items or schedules, avoid the prompts to pay for an "upgraded service". I have used them for years and they are accurate. I have only once have had to use a paid version because of a one time tax problem and everything worked out great.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I file a simple 1040; no deductions. For me, everything was free. It was very easy; all I had to do was fill in the blanks from my 1099-R’s. Since I recognize they have to make money somewhere, they are rather annoying with pushing so many superfluous products and services, but I am fine with that. Two hours and everything was filed and my refund is on its way. I am very pleased.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Easy to do, easy to understand, easy on the pocketbook, easy to respond, easy to file. It is a snap. Don't use others unless there is other issues with you. It was my choice after trying other programs and that is something I was not willing to do.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I used TaxACT for the first time this year. It was so easy and painless. I only did a simple 1040. But it was free! Looking forward now to my refund. TaxAct is highly recommended in my book... Better than TurboTax, H&R Block and all of them IMO.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taxactonline.com?

Original review: May 11, 2019

I have used TaxAct for several years but this year for 2018 taxes was very hard to use, I purchase the Deluxe Edition because I have to file a state non resident return. This year I had some Capital Gains to file but the program I purchased did not include a Schedule D, had to purchase that additionally. The whole program was very hard to work with and now I hear from the IRS that Sch D had errors -- it has cost me an additional $162.00 in TAXES. I will be using another program next year!

Original review: May 9, 2019

I got hit with a 77 fee which was taken out of my bank account without my knowledge like 35 days after I filed. Had no clue as a single filer with 1 disabled dependant the system moved me into a higher package. So you can't take deductions or even claim a dependent and expect anything to be free. I will never use this program again.

Original review: May 7, 2019

For two years after doing my federal taxes it automatically generates the state on both years the state has sent my money back. This year I owed the feds nothing but they said I owed the state 184.00. Of course I paid them the fees to file my WV state. Why wouldn’t I. So the state sends my money back. I ask them for my filing fees back. You know they say they're 100% correct. The answer was well I filed it so that’s what's in their agreement. I think this free. Filing of Federal is a scam so you will pay them for State but at least you would think they would have the state correct but if you owe the Federal nothing it generates a fee that you owe the state so you pay them fees.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I never received confirmation about taxes being received or accepted by IRS. I keep checking and I am told they have no record. Galaxy never filed my taxes. They took the money from my account though. Now I have to contact the IRS tomorrow and find out what I have to do to submit my completed taxes. My bank will be notified and I will file a formal fraud charge with my bank and a fraud complaint with the IRS. My husband has been out of work with a double knee replacement. I needed that refund to pay bills as we have exhausted our savings. This is causing hardship to my family. My husband was forced to go back to work two full months ahead of schedule because the refund didn't come. He is jeopardizing his recovery as he isn't able to continue physical therapy. They are only open until five pm. I may talk to an attorney.

Original review: April 19, 2019

This company never responded to my issues with filing this year (for tax year 2018) and then they would not close my account. Their website was non-functional 3 days between 4/10-4/15 so unable to file with them, switched to H&R Block and was thrilled at how much easier and better prepared their there website was to handle the traffic of tax season, will use them from now on, you should do the same!

Original review: April 19, 2019

TaxAct failed to file my return even though I went through all the steps and got to the screen that said, "Let's prepare for 2019 tax returns." Kept wondering where my response from the IRS was so went back to my TaxAct account and lo and behold the return is waiting to be filed. It's 0419 now and I refiled them. I wonder what will happen now? Will they get filed this time or no? I've been using TaxAct for over 10 years. I am so disappointed. What a horrible breach of trust.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I purchased a business bundle package with TaxAct. I have been a customer of theirs since 2013 and until this year (2018) have only needed to file a personal federal and state return. For that, it works fine. I have a basic understanding of tax so most of the questions I need answers to I am able to find on my own. HOWEVER, after starting a business in 2018, I decided to take advantage of TaxAct's Business Bundle 1120S package and paid $200. I figured it was worth it because I would get extra support and assistance with filing a more complex return. WRONG.

After many issues with entering the information, I ended up having to file an extension because customer support was nonexistent. I would call only to be told that no one was available due to high call volume and that I should try my call later. I filed the extension thinking after the April 15th deadline, most people would have filed their returns and I would finally be able to get through to someone who could actually help me. WRONG AGAIN. I was able to finally reach a customer support representative, but his help was limited to pointing me to where I could find the information on the IRS site or how to make changes within the software.

To say I was furious would be an understatement. I felt like I overpaid for what I actually got. I will no longer be doing my taxes with them going forward because I do not think they are suited for small businesses that have legitimate concerns about how to file their taxes properly and need assistance. If you have a simple return, I think TaxAct is fine. But if you have a more complex return that requires a better understanding or more assistance from an actual tax professional, go somewhere else. I did not realize how unhelpful customer support would be for tax-related questions for a $200 product. You live and learn and this was an expensive mistake. I hope this review will at least save someone else from making the same one.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have used TaxACT for 4 years now and this will be my last. I did not mind the steady increase in price because of the ease of using. I will never use again. It has turned into a convoluted mess of deceptive sales pitches and window after window. Give us information so we can help you. I.e sign up for our services before you can file. And the filing process wow what a joke. First you pay for software and filing fees, then sceen(s!) later you file fed then they nightmare you with state checks and double checks before you can file. As an aside if you leave the software and come back it does not remember where you were. Rather it goes to a generic menu. You get to guess. NEVER AGAIN WHAT A NIGHTMARE.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I have used TaxAct for about 8 years and have always been very pleased until this year. I filed an Extension on April 12 after banking hours, paying the amount due by bank debit. Yesterday I looked for a pending debit and it never showed up, not today either. When I paid the amount, I was then taken to the screen to pay the "not-free" filing fee. I entered my credit card and got a response that the card had been successfully validated, but I could not go to the next screen. An error message popped up from TaxAct saying, "An error had occurred. Please try again." I did 3 times and kept getting the same message, so I closed the browser.

Yesterday TaxAct shows I filed $**** with my extension so I owe nothing. But I cannot find my extension. I had lots of problems filling out information this year and am extremely frustrated and disappointed. I won't use them again. A friend called with the same problems, and I read another review this morning that said the same thing. And, by the way, TaxAct went down for maintenance while I was online and is still down.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Have used TaxACT for last 5 years but, never again. Tried for 2 hours to click back to business income deductions which was not recognizable, if it was there as I was entering info. When I wanted to go back to make changes, links kept me in a continual loop of signing back in. Site kicked me back to sign in/email code verifications/captcha pictures, repeatedly. I was in this loop for over 30 tries within only 2 hours. Gave up, running out of time. Then, spent an additional 3 hours trying to get to 4868 Extension forms with the site kicking me out to re-sign in & more captchas over & over & over, at least another 20 plus attempts, until I went thru browser to get to site via search, rather than the years of emails that I had kept in folders. Another 5 sign ins until I finally got to a 4868 form & finally filed around 9:30 pm.

TaxAct site malfunctioning has cost me extra $ in late filing fees & sending my excess funds to overestimate, in case I owe. The links within the site were not functioning & kept sending me back to sign in. I sent emails for assistance & never got replies. Now, I am in fear that the extension filing did not take, I have so little faith in TaxAct, now. It was 3-4 hrs extra work, longer than it should have been. I have never owed for last 33 years, but this year, I will owe a penalty because the site would not allow my timely filing. Don't use TaxAct. You will regret it.

Original review: April 15, 2019

They tell you that you can file your federal and state taxes for free, Guaranteed. BS. I was charge $90.00 to file. I will never use them again. I will go through the trouble of paper tax forms before I ever use them again. I would rather get punched in the face before using them again. They are greedy **. I would give 0 stars if that was available. They lie directly to you. Screw them. I hope they see this review. I'm never going to recommend them to anyone.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I have used TaxACT for years to complete my tax return and my son's tax returns. Every year, they get worse. Higher fees, no customer service - Their phone numbers are light the "bridge to nowhere." I selected "Basic" return for $1 to file Federal return and $1 extra to file state return for my son's return. He has exactly TWO tax documents - a W2 and a student loan interest form - that's it! When I got to the end of the return, I was told that I HAD to upgrade to their Deluxe return (which comes with an exorbitant fee!) The return is done! There is no reason for this fee other than a crummy, greedy bait and switch tactic.

Currently, my phone number is sitting in their queue for a call back from customer service. I'm not holding my breath. If they actually call back, I am planning to insist on the fee that I selected - $1. If they do not remedy this atrocity, I will NEVER file with TaxACT again. I also will make sure that none of my friends, family, acquaintances and random strangers never use TaxACT. They suck.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Just like other reviews below, you get to the end and they say "Oh we need this much to file your taxes because of this". I owed nearly $40 in fees just because of student loan interest!! REALLY? I have always sung praises of this company but not anymore. And really, if fees are now required for student loan interest, that's fine BUT TELL ME UP FRONT!! Reading the reviews below, I'm not the only one this happened to.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Keep getting this message, no phone support at all. I have used the e-filing steps in order, over and over and still get this message. My credit card has a charge pending so I know they have my payment. So after all of this and using TaxAct for 5 years, I am done. No help at all on the phones, call back later message due to high call volume. I never dreamed this would happen on 4/15. So now off to mail my returns and work on getting credit for what I paid for and did not receive. "Starting Over. We are sorry, the e-filing steps must be followed in order. If you cancel the e-filing steps, or leave them for any reason, you must check your return for accuracy again. You will need to go back through the filing steps."

Original review: April 15, 2019

I've been using TaxACT for quite a few years and they get more money-hungry every year. If they were up-front about it, I'd be more OK with it. What they do is tell you that it's going to be a particular price, then when you're done and trying to submit, they start tagging on extra costs. Oh, want to file your state taxes instead of re-entering them on a different site? $40. Oh, you can't actually e-file with the information you've been entering for the past 3 hours. $5 extra to upgrade to TaxACT Premiere+. Doesn't matter that I don't fall into the categories they say require TaxACT plus. Want to take your TaxACT payment out of your refund? No problem. (Oh yeah, in the small print - there's a $45 processing fee for this.) I've seen less shady wire transfer scams.

The thing that makes me most upset is that they wait to do all of this until you're done entering all the information up front. One of about five or six different fees is disclosed up front and they hook you with it because you've already done all this work. After you get done, they also tell you that you can't access any of the information you've entered unless you pay to have extended access. You can print a copy of your returns, but that's it. TAXACT IS A SCAM.

Original review: April 15, 2019

In previous years, I have used and recommended TaxACT for filing taxes. This year, however, I retract all recommendations. They have made it so that they MUST charge for every little thing. Do you have a middle name? $29.95. Do you have, or have had, a pulse? $29.95. Do you have health insurance? Either way, $29.95. And that's only getting started. God forbid you have any other "reason" for additional charges. These guys are losers. Nothing about their pricing is up front, unless you believe FREE. Which will cost you $29.95.

Original review: April 14, 2019

100% Accuracy Guarantee is bunk!! I used TaxACT to prepare my 2018 Federal and State tax returns. Their program led me to request an Advance Tax Credit. In the end I was supposed to receive Over $12,000. Three weeks later, I received a letter from IRS, that I would Not be able to claim Advance Tax Credit, and my total refund was $0!!! I tried to phone TaxACT at the numbers provided, a message told me their lines were busy and they could not accept my calls. I repeatedly called, approximately 15 times, and received the same message. I then started the Email run-around. The Guarantee is bunk, and the runaround is ridiculous. I am very disappointed and dissatisfied with this company, and will not use them again.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I decided to change this year and use a free tax site. TaxACT says they are free. They are NOT. When you are done, they will NOT allow you to file for free but force you to pay $49 for their service to file. Now I have to find another service after having all the work done in advance... I waited until today since I owed the federal gov't $500. I thought I was ready to file until they threw this wrench into the works. We should NOT be forced to follow the law and pay our taxes and be also charged an outrageous fee for a simple tax return! Under federal law, these agencies are REQUIRED to allow you to use their software for FREE if you earn less than $60k. I am well below that benchmark. SCAM!

Original review: April 14, 2019

I used the free filing on the TaxAct app on my Android phone. I thought I was all finished on Friday April 12th. Then I get a email on Saturday saying I need to finish my filing, even though I had put in bank info for efile. I had to go back in and finish it. Then when I went back to get copy of my tax form, they backed me out of e-filing to paper filing because I asked for copy. I then went back and refiled for direct deposit. I did get confirmation email, but now I am dangerously close to deadline and not sure if IRS is going to pick up my e-filing in time. The app was very glitchy and it took a long time, because I keep getting bounced out and had to start again, both on Friday and Saturday.

You cannot tell if you have really filed, until you get their email. If you use this method to file, be sure to file at least a week before deadline, to save major worry that you will not get filed in time. Hopefully someone else will have better app next year or TaxAct will clean up their bugs. I did give them two stars instead of one, because it is more convenient to file with your phone, than digging up your laptop. They would have gotten three stars if their app was compatible with my Android tablet, instead of just my Android phone.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I decided to give TaxAct another try this year while doing my daughter's tax return. I was so underwhelmed by the glitches. I put all the tax info in and this is your basic teens tax return and it wouldn't let me pay at the basic rate. It automatically bumped me to deluxe. I couldn't find a button to reverse it and then they were going to add on a $55 fee for e-filing. Instead of paying $40 it was going to $144 for a basic tax form. Next year I'm doing it by paper and mail-in. Oh and when I went to go to file, all my info was not saved. It was a pain, but I switched to TaxSlayer. Not 100% thrilled with them, but they had a much better price and easier system. Plus they do respond to questions right away.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I thought I would save a couple bucks by using TaxACT instead of TurboTax or H&R Block. When I try e-file their software gets stuck in a loop and never gets to the screen where I actually e-file. I contacted customer support (by email since they only have phone support from 8am to 8pm and it was 10pm) and they still haven't gotten back to me two days later. I finally got a response by tweeting at them. Their default response it to try a different browser. Since I had already tried on 4 different computers, their suggestion was to file for an extension. This is unacceptable when I had brought the issue up 5 days before the tax filing deadline. At this point, I could have done my taxes faster by hand.

Original review: April 12, 2019

They are asking for $5 to upgrade to Premium edition to be able to print. Should have told you before you sign up and purchase. What a scam! Have used TaxACT for a few years and this will be the last.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Filed from an email and didn't realize it had taken me to TaxACT plus which doesn't charge for a simple 1040 but on the plus it does! So I was charged almost fifty dollars for a simple 1040 and my state! I WILL NEVER USE TAXACT AGAIN!!!

Original review: April 11, 2019

TaxACT will not allow me to file a state extension and does not explain why not. The alerts take me back to the same form without explaining specifically which of the fields on the form it does not like. I called repeatedly and am told that "Due to high call volume, we are unable (unwilling) to answer the phone." Some business model - no customer service. I will have to print and US-mail the form to my state since TaxACT refuses to do what I am paying for.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Like so many reporting here, I have been a TaxACT customer for years, but this will absolutely be the last. Federal return went normally this year, and was accepted by the IRS, but due to an adoption in 2018, my return had credits on it that do not transfer to the NY return. TaxACT not only failed to exclude these, it turns out there isn't any way at all to manually override fields within the NY return. NY return ended up rejected by the state, had to be manually done, and mailed in. Paid for premium support that clearly does not exist, either via phone or email. Was going to be 1 star, but adding one due to the fact that I finally got a human to answer through the billing option under phone support. They issued a refund for the cost of the state return, and offered a half off credit for next year, which I will not use.

Taxactonline.com expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

TaxACT launched in 1998 and has grown to become the second most popular tax software program available. For the past seven years, TaxACT has maintained its number two spot, providing tax preparation and filing services to more than 38 million customers.

• Economical: TaxACT is a great solution for money-conscious consumers. The company’s top of the line package, the Ultimate Bundle, only costs $21.95 and includes federal and state return filing fees.

• Transparency: TaxACT prides itself on its transparency – there are no hidden fees or gimmicks, pricing is straightforward and available upfront.

• Mobile app: Customers can download and save documents using the new TaxACT mobile app.

• Interface: TaxACT is one of the more cumbersome products on the market and customers with a complex return may be better off spending a little extra money to save both time and frustration.

• Customer service: Customers that need tax help or assistance troubleshooting a problem will have to make a long distance call as no toll-free number tech support number is available.

• Best for: Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals, Sole Proprietors

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

TaxACT Company Information