TaxACT

Compare Tax Services

Research top Tax Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I'm trying to file my NYS CORP return and their system keeps telling me forms are not yet approved by NYS. After calling NYS this is not true. They keep giving me the runaround. A very unprofessional company with horrible customer service. Will never use again.

I had a question about an apparent error in TaxAct's calculations, but could not reach them by phone. One phone number never rang and the other just gave a busy signal - in February! That's when I came here and saw all the other trouble people have with TaxAct now. Guess that's the end of my business with this company after 14 years of using it.

Price lock guarantee is very confusing. Back in November 2016 TaxACT sent a email to me indicating they responding I could take advantage of the cyber Monday price lock guarantee. In effect, I would be able to get certain features which I would not be charged for. I responded accordingly and thought everything was all set for my 2016 filings. Upon completing my filings, I was charged approximately $60. I assumed it was to be free. I believe that TaxACT made the process of accepting the cyber Monday offer so complicated that most people we are not able to participate in it even though they thought they qualified. Repeated emails back-and-forth between me and the company were to no avail. And I am out $60. I would strongly consider not using them in the future.

I have been using TaxACT for roughly 8 years. It has always been good. However, after this year the price for a standard 1040 more than tripled to $40 and the price for the fed e-file fee went from $15 to $65? Also the software was so frail it took almost 4 hours to get thru the basic return without having to go thru pages I have been thru twice before. TaxACT has never had "great software" but this year it's noticeably worse. I will definitely not be using this "service" any longer. Very disappointed.

After several years using TaxAct with very good results, since the 2015 and now 2016, last year I use them. Application getting really difficult to use, fees are now in every corner, and of course, they wait until the last screen to submit the electronic version for a direct deposit service to hit you with a $25 charge, just to use direct deposit. 2016 cost of the download double plus $25 band fee, just about how much a CPA would had charged me to do my taxes. Done with TaxAct. PLUS - called them and it seems like they have just two people answering calls. Took forever to get a life person. BYE TAXACT!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taxactonline.com?

TaxAct is absolutely garbage, DO NOT use it. It is riddled with bugs, crashes regularly, and the advertisement for a "free return" is absolutely false. My return was free, but my boyfriend's was $90 for NO REASON. Our returns were nearly identical but they charged him $90 for what should have been a free return. Absolutely ridiculous, DO NOT waste your money on this worthless service.

I've use TaxAct for a number of years and if I ever use it again I'll be very careful. This year after going through the most tedious process I've ever gone through I'm asked if I want my fee deducted from my return, I said yes. It never told me it was going to cost me $25 to do this or I would have paid by credit card for no extra charge. I could have cancelled the filing but after 2 hours I felt it wasn't worth it. I'm told I can do it on TurboTax FREE from now on or I can do it by paper easy enough. Very deceptive to me, it should have been made clear to the user that if you do it by CC there is no extra fee and if you take it out of taxes it will cost you.

I have used TaxAct for the past 3 years and it is not free, by any means. The cost to file has gone up each year. First year was only $14 and state was free. Then next year was $24. This year almost $60. Will not be using them this year.

I received a promotional email offer from TaxACT on January 22 which offered the Premium version of their software for 55.00. I clicked on the link from the email on February 4 and the price was 70.00. I called TaxACT customer service and they said their website said the $55.00 price expired on January 31. The expiration of their price IS NOT mentioned in the promotional email (even in the small print). They refused to honor the price from the email. This is deceptive and false advertising. An honorable company would honor their agreements. I have used them for 3 years and will not use them this year OR in the future.

I wanted to go out on my own this year, so I decided to use TaxAct Professional. I got all the paperwork together everything approved I opened up my business and was so embarrassed I could not efile. They took my money for efiling but they were not going through so I lost customers and they will not refund my money for the returns that did not go through. PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY. THIS COMPANY IS EMPLOYED WITH A BUNCH OF CROOKS.

I've used TaxAct for years, and have been relatively satisfied. Sometimes cumbersome, I've grown accustomed to its interface. It's always been frustrating at the end to get to the right point of printing/e-filing, but until April 2016 all had worked well. Completing our relatively simple 2015 Federal & State returns, I submitted them for e-filing. Everything checked out, and at first, I received a message saying our returns had been accepted by the IRS/State. A few minutes later, I received a message saying No, they in fact had been rejected by the IRS, and consequently by the State. I "fixed and filed" my returns FIVE TIMES, WITH NO SUCCESS. And NO SUPPORT FROM TAXACT. The next day, I tried again, with the same result. I printed the message pages, and the returns, and mailed them via certified mail to IRS and the State.

A few months later, I received a letter from IRS that we have an amount of money that has been paid in but no return to match it to. I re-sent the return. Nearly a year later, I'm now receiving the same letter from IRS. Considering IRS has an agency full of dolts, I believe the problem stems back to TaxAct. Frustrated, I will once again need to print all these pages and submit to IRS. As of right now, I have no idea whatsoever if the TaxAct e-filing ever went through, if IRS or the State received either return, because I'm dealing with companies and agencies who obviously don't care about the people they serve or those of us who buy their services. GRRROOOWWWLLL!

TaxAct sent the wrong account number! I reviewed my e-file. The correct account number/Rn is shown. But the account number has dashes 000-000-000. No matter what I DID the dashes would not go away. Now I have to wait for a paper check. For both state and federal.

I never had a problem with TaxAct until last year. I have a Daughter who during the 2015 year was 16 turned 17 at the end of the year and was a full-time high school student. TaxAct would not let me claim her; I entered in the info exactly as I was suppose to, but for some reason never got a question asking if she was a school student. I don't know why I didn't question it, I thought maybe because she had a part-time job (working 3 hours a week). Now During the 2016 year she was 17 turned 18 at the end of the year still full-time high school student and yet again would not let me claim her and yet again never asked the question if she was a school student.

So I file anyway thinking it must be something, but then later find out as long as your child is living under your roof and is a Full-Time Student whether it's High School or College you can claim them!! So I immediately start trying to reach out to them. I sent emails via their website, never got response to any of my emails. Finally searched for phone number, which was also a long grueling task (they don't have it easily accessible). So I call, go through the choices only for the system to say "we are experiencing high call volume, this call will end" then hung up on me. I try back several times and the number is now busy. DO NOT RECOMMEND TAXACT AT ALL!!!

Does anyone know why when I go to the e-check status it tells me "a return matching the data was not found" but then when I log on to TaxACT it says "you have e-filed your return" and then when I go to 2016 e-file status report my federal and state have been accepted on 1/26/2017. But then when I go to where's my refund it also tells me that I have no information available. But before when I got the email and text saying that my state and federal had been accepted by the IRS I could see my status and the bars on where's my refund. So I look into my e-file and this is what it tells me "We are showing the following errors with the returns you are attempting to e-file.

"Federal Return - The Taxpayer Identification Number for the primary taxpayer on this return has already been used on a return filed with the IRS for the current year. If you have verified your taxpayer identification number and found no errors, you need to file your return on paper. You should also contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 (or through the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 1-800-908-4490)."

WHAT SHOULD I DO? Has my taxes been filed or what? Should I send in a paper copy? I have never had as many problems as I have had this year on TaxACT. I don't even know what to do. Or get a clear answer as to whether or not my return has been filed say website one place says yes one place says no. Please help!!!

Every time I need to call for a question concerning my account I get the best service. One representative in particular named Monica, will not forget her name as its the same as my daughter's. Monica was extremely patient and helped me update my password. She answered all my questions and even took my order of the software by phone. It is because of great service that I continue to use taxact. Thank you!

TaxAct is not a free filing service. I started to file this year 2017 and they wanted to charge me $60 for state and federal. I cancelled everything. Will never use them again. I can file for free. Very disappointed.

TaxAct -- what a nightmare. Spent around 5 hours TRYING to file with TaxAct, and my taxes are EASY. Site is NOT user-friendly. Encountered repeated technical issues trying to print required documents. At the end of my "free" filing, I find I'm charged $20 + $5 from some "Republic Bank." Finally canceled the return and went to TurboTax. What a contrast! Easy to use, quickly done, and NO hidden fees at the end. Free means FREE!

I've been with TaxACT for years, but this will be the last one. I got through the process then onto e-filing. The dollar amount stated to efile was a bit over $10. I went thru the process (which honestly took longer than doing my taxes). On the page that asked how I wanted to pay, I clicked to deduct the amount from my refund. Okay fine. Then I get to the very LAST page and it tells me the amount they'll take is over $32. I didn't see that amount anywhere else. At that point I just wanted it done, so went ahead. But they've lost my business because of it.

After trying H&R Block a little complex and difficult to understand. The cost was too high to deal with it year to year. I used TurboTax's program for several years but have had issues trying to find archived taxes even after paying extra for that service. Again, too pricey. TaxAct became my favorite because it was easy to navigate and cost effective. I have access to my taxes for 7 years without additional fees. Though all three have had free federal and state filing fee for lower income taxpayers for several years TaxAct, to the best of my knowledge, was the first to offer it to the "average joe" middle class working taxpayers. I highly recommend it. Best Tax Program for Your Buck!

On the night before individual income tax returns are due they choose to shut their site down. Continuously I have been frustrated with their technical incompetency and customer support. You have to have poop for brains to even consider shutting your system down the night before taxes are due. You cannot login to their system to work. WTF TAXACT, seriously.

With the 2015 version you have to upgrade to Premium ($40) to be able to print Schedule C. This is a way of forcing people to pay more otherwise the return can not be printed. But there is a way around this. You can still print each form manually. On Schedule C, I just fill in a blank form from the IRS website and printed this. Then just mail the form. I am not sure if you can file electronically if you are not a Premium user.

This company is a robbery tool. It is creating "free" version of software, that is sitting in your computer along with all forms you filled and filed. BUT you are never able to print them after you filed. NEVER. That is what they are explaining to you, pushing you to purchase their stupid product AGAIN. It is clearly robbery tool. Moreover, the specialists there are rude, incompetent and at such place could not be trusted. Do NOT trust them your information. Go somewhere else.

TaxACT has improved on the technical issues that drove the IRS payment mishaps of past filings but the back-end load that gets dropped once the return is verified, submitted and filed more than doubles the "bait" price they advertise. I was expecting my $19.99 TaxACT experience to total out to $30-35 with filing and payment transfer to the IRS, but it ended up totaling up to about $50. The process of filling out the form was relatively good, with a finale.

I've used TaxAct for over ten years. There is a flaw in the program that figures the self-employed insurance deduction for page one if you have Obamacare; this has been confirmed. If you are the owner of a Sub-S, in a partnership, or have a schedule C, and receive a 1095-A, review VERY carefully the amount TaxAct uses for your self-employed health insurance deduction. Very simply, if you have enough profit and/or W-2 wages from your business, the amount of the health insurance deduction should equal your actual out-of-pocket amount paid for health care plus or minus the adjustment for premiums on page two of your return. (The deduction is limited to profit plus wages (Sub-S) from the business.) You may have to amend previous years' returns.

I filed with TaxACT for last year like I did the year before. This time I too found out that my income tax information was not submitted by TaxACT. They have gotten me in trouble with the IRS. When I realized my information was not submitted I went back and tried again. Everything was done as it was supposed to be, but I found out the information still was not submitted. It is only when I read these reviews that I see that this has happened to others. TaxACT put me in a serious mess with the IRS for not submitting my information and we all know the IRS: they could care less about how, they just want my hard earned money, no matter what. TaxAct, you are deplorable!!!

I filed my 2015 NYS taxes with TaxACT, and still have not received my refund! I received confirmation from TaxAct stating my New York electronic return was accepted on 3/2/2016. Well it's been almost 7 months and still NOTHING!!! I will NEVER use TaxAct again. I'm still trying to find out what happened to my check...

I checked with the irs.gov, to see when my refund would arrive. I filed, paid and received the receipt. IRS couldn't find anything, on the phone, or the site. I logged into my TaxACT site, and it said, it wasn't completed nor filed. I should continue where I left off. After complaining to them about why they debited my account before it was completed, telling me that it was, they decided to issue a refund, in 2 to 15 days. I will never use them again, and I wouldn't advise my worst enemy to use them. My question to them is why did they charge me if the documents were not completed?

I've been filing taxes for a long time, but have never been more confused than filing with TaxAct. To make a long story short, I had to contact the support team due to the fact that it's June 28th, and I just discovered my taxes hadn't been filed.... and I paid twice! I had confirmed, sent, looked-at, scanned, printed, viewed, re-viewed, re-re-viewed, waited, and anticipated.... only to now worry that my federal and state filing had not been filed. Use this site with caution, or don't use it... it's up to you! I should have read the complaints, and noticed the 1 star rating... first!! Nope, nope, nope.

I am furious with their service. On google, they advertised free filing for both state and federal. Throughout the process, since I did not have the most basic filing needs (I submitted one additional form), they had to bump me to the next price point, which they stated was about $10. That's just fine. But when it came to check out, they charged $24.99. Then, when I had to leave and come back to complete it, they charged me again, and doubled the amount. In total, I paid these guys $74.99. When I called to request a refund for the second faulty charge, Mark (who was actually very polite and human), told me that the amount was correct because the price was 24.99 for each; federal and the two states that I filed to. I will NEVER use TaxACT again. Be upfront and clear with your prices instead of lying and sneak-charging!

We did our college-aged son's taxes in February. He owed money. We filed the forms electronically using TaxAct, and authorized credit card payment using their VPS (Value Payment System). Tax Act and the IRS accepted his return. Tax Act never followed through and made the payment! We received an unpaid taxes notice from the IRS in May, including late payment penalties and interest fees. Today, June 20th, we received an email from Tax Act saying, "Our records show that when filing your tax return, you chose to make your tax payment by credit card through Value Payment Systems (VPS). Unfortunately, the payment was authorized but never settled, so the tax payment may not have been completed." Why didn't they pay? Were they just keeping our money and how many others? How annoying. DO NOT USE TAXACT!

Expert Review

Melissa Hincha-OwnbyTax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.    More about Melissa→

TaxACT launched in 1998 and has grown to become the second most popular tax software program available. For the past seven years, TaxACT has maintained its number two spot, providing tax preparation and filing services to more than 38 million customers.

• Economical: TaxACT is a great solution for money-conscious consumers. The company’s top of the line package, the Ultimate Bundle, only costs $21.95 and includes federal and state return filing fees.
  • Transparency: TaxACT prides itself on its transparency – there are no hidden fees or gimmicks, pricing is straightforward and available upfront.
  • Mobile app: Customers can download and save documents using the new TaxACT mobile app.
  • Interface: TaxACT is one of the more cumbersome products on the market and customers with a complex return may be better off spending a little extra money to save both time and frustration.
  • Customer service: Customers that need tax help or assistance troubleshooting a problem will have to make a long distance call as no toll-free number tech support number is available.
  • Best for Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals, Sole Proprietors

Compare Tax Software and Services