Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.83/5

TaxAct offers online, downloadable and mobile solutions to assist with do-it-yourself tax filing. Select from free filing programs or pay for services to complete more complicated tax filings. With the TaxAct app, you can file taxes on your smartphone and receive your IRS refund through direct deposit. TaxAct guarantees accuracy, satisfaction and the maximum refund.

TaxAct Reviews

Original review: March 23, 2020

Their support was great but my taxes got too complicated for me to do them myself. I needed PA and CA state plus federal. I had several K-1 forms from Charitable Gift Annuities with multiyear deductions carried forward for 5 years even though I could deduct 50% off of my income (now 60%). And their price got too high, the difference between having them done and doing them myself became smaller and smaller. Took me days and days to complete, having them done took 2 hours and $90.

Original review: March 22, 2020

I love Tax Act because they are a reputable company recommended by the IRS. Very user friendly. Very accurate tax filing. That get you the most refund in a timely manner. And it was free for federal and state. I highly recommend this tax service to everyone.

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 21, 2020

I've always used TurboTax, was very pleased with my decision to change. They had an issue with downloading the PDF from TurboTax but that is resolved. It was very easy to navigate through the screens. A very nice experience. My refund came very quickly and can't beat the price-free.

Original review: March 15, 2020

I love this company. I have been using Taxact for 15 years now. You go step by step and even review before you submit the final. They offer so many different packages to fit every need you could have. I have had to call and use a tax professional several times because I was lost. It was simple and not at all a pain like I thought it would be! They make it so simple and easy and their customer service is outstanding!

Original review: March 14, 2020

Tax Act is quick and easy to use. It prompts you through the entire process and transfers your info from the federal return to the state return as you fill out the federal. It is free to file both returns if you are taking the standard deductions. I've been using Tax Act for years and have no plans to change.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TaxAct?

Original review: June 26, 2020

I've used Tax Act for years, ignoring the problems in navigating the site, because it was reasonable. But this year they changed the pricing, and most importantly they didn't tell me the price until I was ready to file. The price more than doubled from last year (from $60ish to $140) for the same type of return. When I complained, they refunded $25 to me (after initially offering $15). This will be my last year with them. Honestly, it would also be less confusing if I do them by hand, like I used to do!

Original review: June 17, 2020

I have downloaded the TaxAct program for many years without an issue. The download version is now too expensive, so I decided to use the online version to file. After completing the form, I discovered that there was an error in the calculation of total deductions. About a dozen attempts to reach customer service were automatically ended following an automated message that stated that due to the high call volume they couldn't take the call.

After finally reaching someone, he put me on hold for several minutes while he researched the issue. At around 7:05pm Eastern Time the gentleman took me off hold to tell me that there was some type of calculation error (yes, that's why I called) possibly related to a limitation but he could not investigate this further because they are now closed and that I have to call back tomorrow to get someone to help. Understanding that the problem may not be simple and requires more research than he could perform with me on the phone since they are now closing, when I asked if he could look into this tomorrow when he returns back to work and get back to me, his response was "No that is not possible" and he just hung up! Very unprofessional!

Original review: May 15, 2020

Taxact used to be an easy reliable program to use, This year it was about impossible. I'm self-employed and had a very hard time finding where I needed to input my info, Such as I got all the way to the end of the federal and I was never offered to input my work mileage. I spent over 2 hrs trying to track that and other sections. Very confusing program now. I finally quit and went to Turbotax, completed and filed my federal and state taxes in 30 minutes. Tried Taxact one more time for my Girlfriend's taxes where the only input needed was her income, mortgage interest, HSA and property taxes. Same results, It was all over the place, 45 Mins. Quit and used Turbo. Complete in 20 minutes.

Original review: April 30, 2020

Advertises that they file independent contractors' taxes for no fee. But after they take your private info you suddenly discover partway into the process that there is no Schedule C form to itemize business expenses. So in fact they do not provide filing services for independent contractors. I believe they call the old "bait and switch," a fully illegal practice.

Original review: April 21, 2020

This software is a scam. You spend an hour or more preparing your return and when you go to e-file they start stacking fees until they are more expensive than paying for any other service! Beware. They are literally the worst!

TaxAct author review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

This company has comprehensive tax filing services for every kind of filer. It has a maximum-refund guarantee, a money-back guarantee and a satisfaction guarantee. Head to its website and answer a few questions to find out which tax filing plan is right for you.

• Ways to file: TaxAct has e-filing services that allow you to easily file your taxes and track the status of your return online.

• Services: Its tax filing services are ideal for homeowners, people with rental property income, self-employed workers, and filers with retirement income or dependents.

• Tax security and fraud protection: TaxAct implements multiple security measures to protect your personal information, including complex password requirements and the use of Google Authenticator.

• Cost for services: TaxAct has free filing services for simple filers. Its paid services start at $54.95 and go up to $109.95.

by Melissa Hincha-Ownby Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

TaxAct Company Information