1.44/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

693 TaxACT Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 23, 2019

I filed 1/30. ID verified 3/7. Deposit sent from IRS 3/20. Republic shows nothing. Not received yet. So I called Treasury. No offset. It's 3/23. WHAT'S THE HOLDUP. I have filed with TaxACT for years and I've never had issue. But this year is totally different. How long does it take to show they received my funds?

Original review: March 19, 2019

TurboTax is easy and quick to use. If you are familiar with tax items or schedules, avoid the prompts to pay for an "upgraded service". I have used them for years and they are accurate. I have only once have had to use a paid version because of a one time tax problem and everything worked out great.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 18, 2019

I have used TaxACT several years, it continues to raise rates. On March 5th I finished using their services and paid with personal debit card. IRS states money was deposited on the 12 to Republic Bank, pending charges for their services. DOUBLE CHARGE. I can't find my refund and TaxACT or Republic not answering texts. WARNING DON'T USE.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Comprehensive, accurate, inexpensive... What more can you ask? Tough league, many good teams; why not go for the (proven!) Power provider?!?

Original review: March 17, 2019

Have used TaxAct for the last 8 years, and this will be my last. TaxAct online has reached a new low. It was difficult to use, was not user friendly, disorganized and could not go to the forms without extreme difficulties. Paid for premium but could not get any assistance at all. Could not find a number to call and was limited only to the online help which also was not very useful. Somebody should be fired for putting this piece of garbage software online. I shudder to think what their audit protection will be should that occur -- or if I will even be able to contact them.

Recommendations for the TaxAct people: 1. Put an information link next to EVERY entry item so that it will take you to a) applicable IRS regulation, or b)TaxAct suggested information and then let user decide which one they want. 2. Put a list of all forms used on page so that you can click to view entries on the applicable form. Telling me in review to check a numbered form does not help if you cannot find it. 3. Improved your help topics and add contact us phone numbers -- especially for those that paid for the premium services. 4. Go back about 4 years to when it was a much easier and user friendly product. This year you have reached a new low. Utterly disgusted in TaxAct Online for 2018.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taxactonline.com?

Original review: March 17, 2019

Downloading New Jersey and Pennsylvania along with your federal at the end when you do your States module and you say no it pops up the other state anyway. Also when running the alerts that causes confusion by how things are worded and seems to keep steering you towards International dividends.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I am writing to say that I have been using this software for the last three years. Yesterday I got audited for 2016 which is the first year that I started using their software and have a huge tax liability to pay (due in 7 days!) due to some errors and miscalculations made. I live in one state but work in a nearby state, and basically TaxAct calculated my allowance for credit paid to the other jurisdiction as 100% but the state said the credit allowance is 30%. Therefore I do not get the 100% credit as I thought and now have to pay back taxes, penalty, interest etc. I am worried about the other years as taxact has calculated the same thing every year... I am now moving onto another software and trying to compare the two. I tried to call TaxAct about this audit issue as I have premium defense but there is no customer support during tax season! I will not use them again.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I file a simple 1040; no deductions. For me, everything was free. It was very easy; all I had to do was fill in the blanks from my 1099-R’s. Since I recognize they have to make money somewhere, they are rather annoying with pushing so many superfluous products and services, but I am fine with that. Two hours and everything was filed and my refund is on its way. I am very pleased.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I have used this company for many years and help friends and family do their taxes with the software. Prices have increased over the years, which I can understand, but it has turned into a bait and switch operation. With a relatively simple straightforward Standard Deduction return I started off with Basic+ for $12. I do not think the state price is even revealed at this point. After investing all the time with inputing the data and near the very end when you are about to file, TaxAct then reveals I must upgrade to the Deluxe+ because I had a NYS refund from the year before. Since I did my return with TaxAct the year before, the program not only knows I received a NYS refund, it knows the exact amount and automatically filled it in the forms for me.

TaxAct knew at my very first screen that I would be required to upgrade and it should be clear at that point what the price will be. Now over an hour invested, what is a user going to do? Leave and start over with another program? The $12 turned into $38 and after the State for the final prices was $75. If I was told it was $38 at the start, I would not even be writing this and probably just used TaxAct and moved on. It is how they got to the $38 that is just shady. Not a company I plan on doing business with and for $75 for such a simple return, I may start my own side business doing taxes.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I usually get my return "accepted" by the IRS within a few hours. This year, I have been waiting 8 days. I have tried to contact TaxAct. I am using the premium edition, so I expect free and prompt support. However, I get a "not accepting phone calls because of large volume" (no way to leave voice mail), and also no response to my emails.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I filed for free last year and this year they added on fees and different tricks you into upgrading and paying extra to get your refund. Go somewhere else. Also because of "high volume" they literally just WILL NOT take your customer service call.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I've been using TaxAct for my partnership return for several years. This time I must warn people what happened to me. I work on a Mac (Mojave), VMWare Fusion (11.0.2) with Windows 7 (a horrible combination, it barely works so I've switched everything I can over to the Mac side now). Still, I must use some Windows. I downloaded the latest TaxAct 2018 for business, and it's been a nightmare! It crashed Windows twice, and my third try it crashed so badly that VMWare could not start up Windows after several tries, I figured out a fix for that, but it had done something to McAfee (turning off the firewall) so now my VMWare/Windows is virtually not usable because McAfee is now all messed up -- even after I uninstalled TaxAct. Buyer Beware! I'm never using TaxAct again.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I have tried getting TaxACT support for five days via voice and email. The voice line message indicates they do not take calls because of high volume and email gets no response. The software is not easy to use but it seems this is the best there is for do it yourself tax software for small companies. If it were more user friendly, one would not have much need for support.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Easy to do, easy to understand, easy on the pocketbook, easy to respond, easy to file. It is a snap. Don't use others unless there is other issues with you. It was my choice after trying other programs and that is something I was not willing to do.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Software is quite difficult if you don't know how to do taxes in the first place. Luckily I do, and I have been using TaxACT for a few years, so I know how to get around the few glitches that I have come across. I use it because I also have an S corp and need to file those taxes and not all brands have those forms. BUT, this year (2018), TAXACT seems to have outdone themselves in making things hard. Not only that, but I paid extra for the PREMIUM software so that I could have the PRIORITY SUPPORT if I needed it.

Well, guess what?? I called, pressed the prompt identifying myself as a priority user, and got the message that they were "TOO BUSY!!!" to talk to me!! I could perhaps find the answer to my tax question in the FAQ on the website!! And then got disconnected! And I paid EXTRA for this??? Well, not next year, I can guarantee you that!! I WILL find another brand of program that I can use.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I have used for 10 years and always easy and quick return. They have previous tax returns available if needed without having to freak out trying to find your copy.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I have to pick a free software based on age and income. This year my income is social security and retirement. I received two years of back pay in social security disability. Not sure how that will affect my AGI.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I thought my return was simple. Social Security income, Pension income, IRA withdrawal, Bank interest Married filing Jointly. Started at the beginning. Answered all the questions, filled in all my bank information for refund. When I got to the filing point (about 1 1/2 hrs later) pop up said to file I needed the deluxe version for $40 plus. Went back and found out that because I had more than $1500 interest a Schedule B needed to be filed, causing the up-charge. Got upset and deleted everything and found the IRS "FREE" file and it worked great with no charge. WHY CAN'T THEY OPEN FROM THE BEGINNING.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I've used TaxAct for 9 to 10 years and the last one to two years. TaxAct actually was making it harder to fill out my Fed and especially my State form (and I'm not talking about my 2018 yet). The questions and positioning of words/questions were getting harder to interpret. They use to allow you to pump out a sample tax form that you filled out on TaxAct to see if or not the answers/information that I was putting on the tax form was in the correct and in understandable locations. THAT HELPED ME GREATLY! But now, for the 2018, with how my State form has changed, it was even harder to interpret. PLUS, TaxAct was NOT ALLOWING me to pump out my Sample Tax Form, I couldn't see or figure out if I was filling my State Tax Form correctly.

They constantly were JAMMING EXTREMELY INFLATED PRICES THAT HAD TO BE PAID FIRST BEFORE I COULD SEE MY COMPLETED STATE TAX FORM. Something that should of taken me no more than 15 minutes or so was taking days to figure out. Finally I gave up (on TAXACT) and went online and found a reasonable priced tax company. Their system allowed me to pump off my completed tax forms so that I could see if I was filling it out correctly (before electronically sending it in). PLUS the prices were back down to earth like TaxAct used to be and now isn't. Bottom line, I'm done with TaxAct...

Original review: March 5, 2019

For the 2018 Tax Year TaxAct says that you can have your tax preparation fees deducted from your refund. When I received my refund an additional fee of $44.95 was deducted from the refund amount from Republic Bank. This bank transfers the money to the taxpayer’s bank account. TaxAct made no mention of this fee. My return was a basic 1040 with the standard deduction and I was not charged a fee for all prior years. I think TaxAct is getting greedy and charging extra fees including splitting the fees collected from Republic Bank. To avoid this fee pay the tax preparation fee with a credit card which is what I should have done in the first place. Shame on TaxAct for not disclosing this outrageous fee. I would avoid this company in the future because they failed to disclose fees. If they did no one would want to have the tax prep fee deducted from their refund.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I have been using TaxACT for more than seven years. Its ease of use through easy to understand Q&A to complete forms and its processing speed with both federal and state make TaxACT my go-to online tax service.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I changed my email address in the TaxACT preferences page last year. It still shows the correct email. But I still get notices after filing to my old address. The program help is worthless. It just gives no items found when searching on anything related to email addresses. When I called up the contact phone number my call was declined 20 times due to high call volume. The program should have a help section on email before you get to the submit button. I'm not changing my new email but guess what I am changing.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I have used TaxACT for 4 years now. Never had a problem and everything went smoothly. This year they are missing a page so my return keeps getting rejected by the IRS. You can’t get through to the department that can fix it due to high call volume. I was told to print it and send it in. (It will only get rejected by mail now.) The problem will still be there. The last person I just spoke with told me to go to a CPA and have them done. Another words pay again to have my taxes done instead of them fixing the problem. They also say email any questions. I have sent three and no response to any of them. Never again will I use TaxACT.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I used TaxACT for years and generally had a decent experience. That changed this year. Not only was their website utterly confusing to navigate but they throw in a lot of additional fees at the end after you've already entered all of your information and are ready to file. You have to upgrade to the "deluxe" version just to add a deduction which is literally nothing more than a couple of line items on a 1040. Then, don't expect to get your refund without paying an addition $45 for a bank transfer fee which on the surface appears at least mildly sketchy not to mention all of the consent forms they attempt to get you to sign in order to send your information to third parties. The fact that they are not upfront with their fees or their lame attempts to sell your information suggests that they are no longer a company worthy of your time or your dime. Please save yourself the trouble and go with another tax preparation software. I certainly will be.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I've used TaxACT for many years without a problem. Sure, the price has doubled over the last few years from $40-something to the near $90 I paid this year and last year, but my main complaint is this year's 2018 e-filing. I was never able to understand why it kept getting rejected when my 2017 AGI information was verified as correct. Because I tried several times to get it through, I then started to get IND-163 rejection errors, which now say that I cannot e-file at all because of "repeated unsuccessful attempts", and I now have to print it out. I paid extra for e-filing and cannot do it for the first time ever! Last year, and all years prior, I was able to e-file without any problem. This year it seems it's been made more complicated just to submit a simple e-file return. It's time to get rid of TaxACT and switch to another option. I'm sure not using this ever again!

Original review: March 2, 2019

You are limited to a low quantity entry Items of Items in all of the forms. Absolutely no Support Help. Also you can not reload a backup copy and you can not save a copy to a specific name. You can easily lose all your work. Limited downloads; If you are going to work on two computers you're screwed. Save yourself a load of headaches and buy something else; I used TaxACT Software in the past, however, all the 2018 stuff is total crap. SAVE YOUR TIME AND MONEY. GET SOMETHING ELSE.

Original review: March 1, 2019

TaxACT sold my e-mail to third parties even though I did not sign the consent with my electronic signature. I also specifically unchecked the box that said they could send me affiliate information. I also did my son's taxes with his e-mail and did not give consent for him and he has been receiving tons of spam e-mails as well. That is how I know it was TaxACT because this was an e-mail account we created specifically for his taxes, he has not used it for anything else.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Aside from the constant crashing, constant errors, many blocked links, misleading links, and many other very frustrating categories. This website has to be one of the worst built in all of history. This website has no business even trying to charge people for the terrible services they offer. Imagine calling yourself an efiling option when you can't even run a website well. Save yourself the time and if you are reading this review move on to the next option. I sat here for 30 minutes before I lost enough patience and gained enough spite to come write this review. I have literally never written a review in my life, that should go to show how terrible of an experience this was. That's how motivated I am to never let anyone experience this monstrosity of a website.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I received a 6-digit IRS PIN because of having had my identity stolen 2 years ago. Last I had no problem with entering that code in the appropriate box. This year that same box accepts only FIVE digits of the required IRS PIN. I'm waiting for an email response as they were too busy to take my call.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Went through IRS website to TaxAct link that claimed it was free to e-file if I made under 55,000 and was a particular age. After almost 2 hours it said it would cost 150$ to file through TaxACT. Absolute b.s. If I wanted to pay 150 I would go to a local tax professional and not have to lift a finger. It is likely cheaper to have my taxes done locally but I believed TaxACT was free.

Taxactonline.com expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

TaxACT launched in 1998 and has grown to become the second most popular tax software program available. For the past seven years, TaxACT has maintained its number two spot, providing tax preparation and filing services to more than 38 million customers.

• Economical: TaxACT is a great solution for money-conscious consumers. The company’s top of the line package, the Ultimate Bundle, only costs $21.95 and includes federal and state return filing fees.

• Transparency: TaxACT prides itself on its transparency – there are no hidden fees or gimmicks, pricing is straightforward and available upfront.

• Mobile app: Customers can download and save documents using the new TaxACT mobile app.

• Interface: TaxACT is one of the more cumbersome products on the market and customers with a complex return may be better off spending a little extra money to save both time and frustration.

• Customer service: Customers that need tax help or assistance troubleshooting a problem will have to make a long distance call as no toll-free number tech support number is available.

• Best for: Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals, Sole Proprietors

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

TaxACT Company Information