Get matched with the best Tax Relief company for you!

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

TaxACT
1.42/5

TaxACT

TaxACT Reviews

Original review: April 19, 2019

Was my first time using TaxAct. I thought it was so easy to use that I had to research to ensure it was legit. The software explained my taxes and compared it to previous years to show any discrepancies. Only minor problem was that the help section didn't offer solid information about 1099-B forms. However Google answered my question. Best part of this program was that the tax prep fee was only $5 since I was a first time user!

Original review: March 19, 2019

TurboTax is easy and quick to use. If you are familiar with tax items or schedules, avoid the prompts to pay for an "upgraded service". I have used them for years and they are accurate. I have only once have had to use a paid version because of a one time tax problem and everything worked out great.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I file a simple 1040; no deductions. For me, everything was free. It was very easy; all I had to do was fill in the blanks from my 1099-R’s. Since I recognize they have to make money somewhere, they are rather annoying with pushing so many superfluous products and services, but I am fine with that. Two hours and everything was filed and my refund is on its way. I am very pleased.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Easy to do, easy to understand, easy on the pocketbook, easy to respond, easy to file. It is a snap. Don't use others unless there is other issues with you. It was my choice after trying other programs and that is something I was not willing to do.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I used TaxACT for the first time this year. It was so easy and painless. I only did a simple 1040. But it was free! Looking forward now to my refund. TaxAct is highly recommended in my book... Better than TurboTax, H&R Block and all of them IMO.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taxactonline.com?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

WARNING! TaxAct let me file an extension thinking it had gone through their system. It gave me a screen shot upon completion, stating: "Filing Extension - Complete." "You have completed the filing extension process." But it did NOT file the extension--in fact, it somehow tied it to a second return that I wasn't aware of or even filed. I end up getting hit with a $1,000+ penalty for failure to file a return.

Fast forward to today--I asked the people at TaxAct to please send me a letter I could use to help get an abatement of a $1,000 fine from the IRS. I even sent them a screen shot of the extension notice. THEY REFUSED- AND CLAIMED IT WAS MY FAULT. Again, I wasn't even asking for money from them, just help in saying there was some confusion and that's why I should receive an abatement. But no--they won't admit ANY kind of responsibility for the confusing screen shot and have refused to help me at all. I will NEVER, EVER use TaxAct again. Live and learn, but they clearly didn't have my back on this.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I was a TaxAct customer for years, even as they continued to raise the price every year. I'm a professional preparer and left TaxAct, because the price for the preparer completing 100 returns is the same, for a firm preparing 1,000 returns or more. When I attempted to negotiate a price for the small time preparer, the sales person was sarcastic and support has always been terrible. A question to the support team may not be answered, for two days or more. I do not recommend TaxAct.

Original review: July 13, 2019

I used TaxACT this year to prepare my individual tax return. For the first time ever in my adult life, I owed. I made a debit payment using TaxACT's payment system and assumed the IRS had my payment. In early June, I received a notification from the IRS that my payment had not been received by them. After hours of research, I discovered the payment had never been taken from my account. I have spent 7 weeks trying to reach TaxACT to resolve this issue and in the meantime, my penalties and interest are climbing. Every time I call, the CSR says they can't handle this situation and I must use email. I have sent 4 emails and every time get an auto response that they are "very busy" and I'll receive a followup email from a CSR within 48 hours.

I finally mailed the IRS a check today. I have no idea what happened and why my payment didn't go through but I'm pretty ticked off that I had to spend $40 on penalties and interest. And, still nothing from TaxACT. Are they real? Is there anyone actually answering this email address they make you use? Pathetic. Was a TurboTax user for 18 years. I'll be switching back for sure.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I have used TaxAct for several years but this year for 2018 taxes was very hard to use, I purchase the Deluxe Edition because I have to file a state non resident return. This year I had some Capital Gains to file but the program I purchased did not include a Schedule D, had to purchase that additionally. The whole program was very hard to work with and now I hear from the IRS that Sch D had errors -- it has cost me an additional $162.00 in TAXES. I will be using another program next year!

Original review: May 9, 2019

I got hit with a 77 fee which was taken out of my bank account without my knowledge like 35 days after I filed. Had no clue as a single filer with 1 disabled dependant the system moved me into a higher package. So you can't take deductions or even claim a dependent and expect anything to be free. I will never use this program again.

Taxactonline.com expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

TaxACT launched in 1998 and has grown to become the second most popular tax software program available. For the past seven years, TaxACT has maintained its number two spot, providing tax preparation and filing services to more than 38 million customers.

• Economical: TaxACT is a great solution for money-conscious consumers. The company’s top of the line package, the Ultimate Bundle, only costs $21.95 and includes federal and state return filing fees.

• Transparency: TaxACT prides itself on its transparency – there are no hidden fees or gimmicks, pricing is straightforward and available upfront.

• Mobile app: Customers can download and save documents using the new TaxACT mobile app.

• Interface: TaxACT is one of the more cumbersome products on the market and customers with a complex return may be better off spending a little extra money to save both time and frustration.

• Customer service: Customers that need tax help or assistance troubleshooting a problem will have to make a long distance call as no toll-free number tech support number is available.

• Best for: Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals, Sole Proprietors

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

TaxACT Company Information