TaxACT

Compare Tax Services

Research top Tax Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

The so called "expert" on bottom of page states total costs for "ultimate bundle" costs only $21.95 and includes all federal and state fees. This is a flat out LIE and this "ConsumerAffairs" company should remove it. They have pulled a TurboTax and greatly raised the rates this year. Trying to squeeze all of us for one more year.

I've been filing with them for years. Never any problem until last year... when they wouldn't acknowledge my locked in rate of $14.00, for all returns, (that was a semi-premium cost). I found my receipt, (from them), & they agreed to reduce my rate to the $14.00. I locked in again for this year, (I did it last year), but they either didn't send a receipt, or I misplaced it. I think it was for $17.00 for everything. Now... they said I never locked it in. So the fee is $60.00. They could really care less.

I have used TaxACT for 3 years to prepare several family trust returns. Easy to use first 2 years. This year has been a disaster. Cannot review entire return unless you print and pay $60 and if you discover mistake it costs another $60 to fix. Could do multiple returns for one fee, now it's $60 for each return. Price was $30 last year so it's doubled price with inability to review entire return with all schedules. Also last year I could import 1099-B, now I have to manually enter all transactions. Total garbage. Last year using TaxACT. Very unhappy.

I rarely write reviews but I feel so strongly - this year, costs doubled, donation assistant remained offline and most significantly, I was unknowingly pushed to a 3rd party to be a middleman for tax payment to the IRS. I filed federal and state together in an identical way, as I have done for the last 20 years with TAXACT, yet this year when checking status, I got a cryptic note saying a 3rd party would work my payment. The 3rd party exacted a fee for the service. Once figured out, I logged into the IRS directly and paid through the website without a fee and saved the $32 fee. I don't like being tricked, I don't like features not working, I do not like a price jump for no other causal value other than greed. After 20 years of commending TAXACT to others, I'm finally going over to TurboTax.

I have used TaxACT for as long as it has existed. I have been pleased until this year. What happened? Was the company acquired by another tax preparation company? Who knows? I live in Texas. TaxACT recommended I prepare a Louisiana state tax return because I won a slot machine prize in Louisiana. It says I received social security payments. I didn't.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taxactonline.com?

This is my first year using TaxAct Professional. While the system is somewhat cumbersome to navigate, the end product was fine and e-filing was easy. For the first few months everything was fine, then my clients with daycare and other business use of home were ready for this year's tax return. Unfortunately, TaxAct professional cannot handle Form 8829. This is the first software I have used that does not include a Form 4562 attached to Form 8829. Usually you can enter a client's depreciation schedule into the return and it properly completes the Business Use of Home. Not with TaxAct - as a result you need to utilize a work around and paper file the return. This is not acceptable for a company that advertising "grow your practice" using their software. They have just eliminated a segment of the market that is growing. Unless your client uses the new simplified calculation, you are out of luck.

Since TurboTax was able to handle this scenario, I mistakenly assumed any program being marketed to professionals would also be able to properly complete the form and e-file the return. This is a major strike against the software. Looks as though I may need to research another new software for next year. Support estimates response time at 2-3 business days. After 5 days I sent an email asking for a status update. Very poor follow through on their support network.

I have used TaxAct as a professional for a few years but this year they have become completely ridiculous with their logging in to my computer to prepare a tax or look something up. First I have to click I'm not a robot, then I have to click on the right appearing boxes, then I have to enter a code they send me via phone text... ughhh... Too time consuming!

I have used tax act for years and never had any problems, until this year. First I was locked out with my password and had to open a new account and start from scratch with all of my data. The program was extremely difficult to use. If you were new to doing taxes you would have missed most of your deductions. Was hard to find the proper pages to put your information/deductions in. I managed to get through with my taxes just to find out the price was increased by $20 from last year. Next year I will look elsewhere.

It states it is free but for whatever reason I was being billed 15 dollars. No explanation and no reason. It clearly states FREE!!! I guess I could have paid and been finished but I choose to use TurboTax and they offer free filing but you have the option to upgrade. The TurboTax site also is easier to use. I chose the free version and that's what I got. I do not recommend the TAXACT SCAM!! VERY DISSATISFIED!!

I've used the service for four (4) years. Functionally, the product is a little quirky, but once you get used to it, it works well. My frustration (and reason for leaving) is the fact that they sent an offer LATE 2015 (when there is only 1-2 months left in the tax year) to lock your rate for their service. It does state 2015, but since I'd already file my taxes 9 months earlier - my assumption was that it was for the following (2016) tax year. Once I completed the current year, I was surprised to find that I owed the full retail rate ($35 in my case). I went ahead and paid it, but I won't be doing business with them in the future. Why would you advertise an option to lock in your rate - when there's only 1-2 months left in the tax year? To me it's deceptive advertising. My mother always said, "If there's smoke in the kitchen, there's probably a fire close behind." I don't want to get burned! I'll be trying TaxSlayer next year.

I have used TaxAct.com for a number of years and have had no problems until this year. Almost every time I signed in with my correct user id & password, plus the "Captcha" info, I was immediately redirected to sign-in again or when I clicked on the "Continue where I left off" button. Then when I finally got through after several sign-in attempts, I was directed to a page that I had already filled out before. After completing a few previous filled-out pages and possibly a few new ones, all which were saved, I was then forced to exit and sign-in again. This went on for many hours over 3 days. I tried a different browser, rebooted my computer, used a different computer, cleared out the cache-same problem. When I contacted the customer service on chat, they wrote this was a problem they could not help with and directed me to email or call. I emailed my issue, but have not received a response.

I finally called customer service. The service technician claimed it was a browser issue, not theirs & instructed me to clear out my cache, even after I had told her that I had already done that. There was no apology for the inconvenience and no further offer to look into the problem. She admitted that she could see that I had signed in many times over the last 3 days. So I tried again and again. I finally got to the final step to e-file my returns, after paying for the service (which was much more than I paid last year), and I was sent back several times to other areas of return to view. Finally was able to submit and I was sent back to the sign-in page once more, but I did receive an email that it had been submitted. This is all unacceptable. I have had no problems with my internet or getting on any other website. TaxAct.com software is the problem. I will not use them again.

I filled out the questions as I did for many years and when I came to the end it asked me to give them a credit card number for the $10 that I requested to upload last year's tax return. And when I got to the end I could not print my tax return, I would have to pay the IRS directly right then and there. I need my copy and I buy a money order to send it April 15.

I have used TaxAct for a number of years. I purchased the 2016 Federal and State versions for a total of $61. Based on my experience, I will no longer use TaxAct to prepare my tax returns. There are two reasons for this decision. The first reason is the "bait and switch" technique associated with electronic filing of your return. The program implies that the cost is merely $10 to file electronically. However, after several steps an additional $25 dollar charge is revealed. I think that many taxpayers may end up paying this fee, due to confusion or just plain exhaustion. The second related problem is that when I attempted to print my federal and state returns, I discovered that the state return cannot be printed. Multiple contacts with TaxAct customer service were unsatisfactory. The response was that final NM state tax forms were not yet available. As of this final day in February 2017, the forms are not available from TaxAct. I will be seeking paper forms elsewhere.

Just logged on to TaxAct to begin my federal filing and was first shocked by the extraordinary rise in prices. Next, instead of logging in and importing last year's filing, I had to create a new login name, password and answer three security questions. Now, I know this is because of all those little hackers living in their mother's basements, but I got through it. Next, it asked whether I wanted to import last year's return. Well, yes, this is why I use TaxAct because they already have the basic answers and can prompt me for 1099 info from the same companies as last year. The only file I have ever gotten from them is a .pdf, but now they are asking for a file with another extension and which I do not have which means I have to begin again from the very beginning.

I don't know whether they were bought out or what, but this is totally unacceptable. Now I'm going to have to find another way to submit and figure my taxes. The old TaxAct was easy to use and friendly. I didn't get far enough into this new thing to have an opinion. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm outta here and will mourn another loss in my world.

I used them the first year with no problem except for printing and I was able to reach them for help with that. Since then I have never been able to reach them for help and they won't let you back on their website. This year I paid $65.00 for efile and another $25.00 that I was unclear what it was for. So I efiled anyway. I got my refund from Federal (IRs) within about 2 weeks. I was unable to verify if they took out the charges they wanted, perhaps that is what the extra $25.00 was for. I thought I was paying the $65.00 for help but can't even get back on the website to verify what I already put. It seems they don't recognize me, they keep asking the same questions.

I finally wrote everything down but I still can't get in, they keep wanting me to start over. Now the state refund hasn't been received, I finally got a phone number for the state refund and the recording said it would be up to 3 months. I will never use Tax Act again, they have gone downhill. And Turbo Tax costs too much. The form I used was 1099 R because I am retired.

This year will be my 3rd year using TaxACT if I can even get my return processed. The 1st 2 years I never had a problem. So I know how to enter a tax return. I only use TaxACT for my business, however I have been using Free Tax USA for my personal return for 7 years. Free Tax USA does not do business returns. So I have experience with two softwares and can definitely tell the difference in TaxACT v. Free Tax USA. TaxACT does not give thorough explanations if you have a question about something.

I am having trouble processing my current return. I believe it is a computer glitch. When it asks for the ownership percentage it will not let me put in any numbers even though they ask to put it in as a decimal. The only # that will work is zero. So this is the 1st issue I have contacted customer support for and so far they have not responded or not been helpful. I used the online version 1st to submit an issue and it's been a few days and no contact. So today I called and was on hold for a long time. Then it took 5 minutes to verify my account information all for them to tell me I'm in the wrong department, which was the technical department. They said I needed tax preparation help and I must be answering one of the questions wrong. So I will have to call back, select the correct department, and wait on hold. Well when I called the correct department a message came on that said, "due to high call volumes you'll have to call back later". Then it hangs up.

Long story short, I may just take the time to enter everything into another online business program. I will probably get done with that before they get back to me from my original email request, or get a hold of them. I am an accountant and know how to file both personal and business tax returns. I know that this is a computer glitch. Giving it the extra star only because I didn't have any problems the 1st 2 years.

I have used TaxACT for last 5 years and been satisfied with the product. I used it for my taxes which required self-employed business income, capital gains on stock transactions, itemized deductions, and on another return which has a lot - 30 or so... stock and option trades to report. In previous years this all worked rather smoothly and I was satisfied... until this year.

As of today, 2/24/2017... the electronic import feature from TD Ameritrade, to import all my transactions directly, was still not available. It wasn't available about 10 days ago when I wanted to start my returns. Last year I believe it was available in early February as there had been no problem. I called TaxACT, they told me it will be available by the end of the month. So further delays for me. And a much higher price this year! If not available on the 28th I am requesting a refund of my $70 paid. Sorry to say this will be my last year of using TaxACT. I hope additional problems are not presented as I finally get to do my returns.

I have used TaxAct for several years. After finishing the tax, TaxAct failed to deliver the e-file in both state and federal. The files returned in various reasons. I would never used their e-file again.

I been doing my taxes along with my kids and brother. Through the years the price has been more than fair. Last year it was $20. This year it's $50. Our info, income etc is the same every year. I'm very upset! My family will be doing their taxes elsewhere. I feel I have been scammed! I'm a senior and disabled. This is not right! Federal taxes have always been free!

I have been using TaxACT for a number of years, like most of you. Prior years had no complaints fees were reasonable. Not aware of any mistakes in the government's favor. In 2015 the fee was half of the 2016 fee. This year all has changed - fees doubled, software mistakes I having a very difficult time dealing with. Costing me money, as well as possibly an audit. Which they don't back up their work. This year really makes me think, how many years were mistakes made without my knowledge. Next year will be a very different story, it will not be about TaxAct... I'M DONE.

I have used TaxACT (online) for more than 8 years and though it was not free (we have long schedule D and schedule C) it was reasonably priced and I was able to verify that all the forms were correct before paying. In four of those years I had contact support and wait for them to fix certain bugs before filing. This year I am now unable to view the forms (IRS or State) and their support doesn't seem to be aware that views were available in previous years. The only response from their support tells me to pay and file, then I can print all the forms. They know nothing about viewing forms!

I have been a TaxAct customer for years. This year when starting my usual tax info they wanted $10.00 to import my last year's tax information that was always done for free before. Then I chose the basic package and painstakingly inputted all my itemized deductions. But to advance and keep all my itemized work I would have to upgrade to a costlier feature or be stuck with a default of standard deduction which was substantially lower than my itemized. So here is a comparison 2015 TaxAct was $29.98 for Fed & State e-file 2016 same e-file cost me $60.00. This year it took me longer than normal, program did not work well, was a pain in the neck and a 100% increase in cost than last year. TaxAct lost a customer of over 15 years. SHAME.

While the application worked fine and I am happy with it, I am very unhappy that the price has almost doubled in one year. I typically do our return and several friends as well as family members, and this is going to cost too much. I will be looking elsewhere, despite being a faithful Tax Act user for over 7 years. I have also recommended it in the past to others but will not be doing so again.

Last time I will use TAXACT. Misleads you as free. Starts off lying about it being free if your income is less than "X", as it drags you slowly thru it then after all your time has been invested, it tells you if you have an HSA account, you have to upgrade for $27.00, then charges another $33.00 to file state returns. My state return was $75.00. They took $33.00 of it. That should be illegal.

TaxAct claims you will be able to file and print tax returns for free. IT IS FALSE! The programs allows you to get all the way to the end of entering all of your information and then requires you to pay substantial amounts of money to e-file or print a paper return. If you do not pay, you will not be able to access any of your information and will have wasted your time. FIND A TRULY FREE TAX SYSTEM!

I have being TaxAct for a few years... It's better than spending 400.00 or so with H&R Block or Jackson Hewitt. TaxAct only charges me about 30.00 to file my fed and state. Super easy and works for me each time. Republic bank is with bank that the funds are deposited from. TurboTax wanted to charge me 80.00 and they were also getting me back 300.00 less than TaxAct... Thanks TaxAct.

I'm trying to file my NYS CORP return and their system keeps telling me forms are not yet approved by NYS. After calling NYS this is not true. They keep giving me the runaround. A very unprofessional company with horrible customer service. Will never use again.

I had a question about an apparent error in TaxAct's calculations, but could not reach them by phone. One phone number never rang and the other just gave a busy signal - in February! That's when I came here and saw all the other trouble people have with TaxAct now. Guess that's the end of my business with this company after 14 years of using it.

Price lock guarantee is very confusing. Back in November 2016 TaxACT sent a email to me indicating they responding I could take advantage of the cyber Monday price lock guarantee. In effect, I would be able to get certain features which I would not be charged for. I responded accordingly and thought everything was all set for my 2016 filings. Upon completing my filings, I was charged approximately $60. I assumed it was to be free. I believe that TaxACT made the process of accepting the cyber Monday offer so complicated that most people we are not able to participate in it even though they thought they qualified. Repeated emails back-and-forth between me and the company were to no avail. And I am out $60. I would strongly consider not using them in the future.

I have been using TaxACT for roughly 8 years. It has always been good. However, after this year the price for a standard 1040 more than tripled to $40 and the price for the fed e-file fee went from $15 to $65? Also the software was so frail it took almost 4 hours to get thru the basic return without having to go thru pages I have been thru twice before. TaxACT has never had "great software" but this year it's noticeably worse. I will definitely not be using this "service" any longer. Very disappointed.

Expert Review

Melissa Hincha-OwnbyTax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.    More about Melissa→

TaxACT launched in 1998 and has grown to become the second most popular tax software program available. For the past seven years, TaxACT has maintained its number two spot, providing tax preparation and filing services to more than 38 million customers.

• Economical: TaxACT is a great solution for money-conscious consumers. The company’s top of the line package, the Ultimate Bundle, only costs $21.95 and includes federal and state return filing fees.
  • Transparency: TaxACT prides itself on its transparency – there are no hidden fees or gimmicks, pricing is straightforward and available upfront.
  • Mobile app: Customers can download and save documents using the new TaxACT mobile app.
  • Interface: TaxACT is one of the more cumbersome products on the market and customers with a complex return may be better off spending a little extra money to save both time and frustration.
  • Customer service: Customers that need tax help or assistance troubleshooting a problem will have to make a long distance call as no toll-free number tech support number is available.
  • Best for Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals, Sole Proprietors

Compare Tax Software and Services