eSmart Tax

Compare Tax Services

Research top Tax Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

The people were nice and extremely helpful. They walked me right through the program, and it was fast and easy. They also expanded the detail and direction in which my data was used and received. The refund experience was also good and I got back what they said I would. I thought the refund would be a long time but it was actually faster than I had been sent. Filing was not hard at all. I thought it was a real learning experience and I would do it again if I ever needed to.

Have contacted them many times to no avail. Not happy with their service at all. Quite difficult to get ahold of them most of the time. Data is not accurate. It's a shame that they aren't reliable when they had a great concept. The refund takes so long it's annoying. A lot of people online have submitted their experience as well and it is entirely disappointing. Filing experience was not fun and I didn't like any of it. If this company listened to their customers well then they wouldn't be in such a rut.

Customer service is easy and very nice and helpful with any questions I might have had. And very easy to talk to. No long holding period. The data security is very safe and reliable. Encrypted and hacker safe. So your information will not get lost or stolen. It's a simple system that works very well. The refund is all I was looking forward to. And was designed to be very easy to find out what your return was gonna be. And it made sure to get the most it can. I did not like the filing program at all. It seem to be bit of a task to file your taxes. But they claim it to be easy to use. Well for me it wasn't that easy to use. It took me a little while to finally figure it.

I didn't even have to use any troubleshooting function and I can tell you that the Customer service is ridiculously good. The instructions given and forms used were crystal clear. I felt like I knew what I was doing the entire time. I felt like steps were made to protect my personal information. I completely trust the data security of this project. I will use it again and recommend it and I wouldn't do that if there was any doubt that my identity would be stolen. My refund came back to me in the exact amount I had put in for and it was much more than I thought. This next year I plan to file much earlier than last year because this system was so easy and fast, I just want my money faster. I am not exactly a computer person and I have had many, compounding, issues with technology over the years, but even I was able to breeze through the forms. They put it in terms that even I could understand and it made me feel as if I were in control of the experience.

It is a great system that helps me to measure cost rates. I really like the interface and the number of options has to calculate tax rates, apart from the cost which is very cheap compared to other. It's very secure. Amazing experience, I say again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eSmart Tax ?

I definitely recommend it as it meets the expectations and adapts to all needs. It is a basic and elemental tool for our activities. It is of great trust and enjoys high appreciation in the market which assists.

The few questions I had were outlined clearly or accessible via help assistance links on the site itself and easy to navigate it. The reason I selected them after careful research: epic in apparent that they gave charity, was cutting edge, top of the line and exactly what I was looking for my purposes. Associated fees, process, security and handling of sensitive financing data was top-notch, although the turnaround time was longer than expected. Filing with eSmart is just as simple as TurboTax but much more secure and easy to comprehend even with the myriad of changes and additional forms necessary for us this go round.

I know of many services of this kind. I would like to know more and I am open to new expectations of service, but this is enough for me. I think I keep my data safe and well protected other things. The service provided me is very good. I recommend it to my friends and my co-workers.

Help explain step by step process to help you receive your maximum refund and every deduction available to you. Staff to work for customer service was friendly, easy to talk to, and really made my experience with the company pleasurable. To my knowledge my security and privacy was pretty secure. I had to provide adequate amount of identification so I'm satisfy no one else can file in my name. Their refund policy makes it to where I can get a portion of my payment back or file for free the following year. Filing was easy, company did most of the work to make sure I got my full refund. I received my refund in a timely manner so overall I was satisfied with my filing.

The customer service experience was very helpful in terms of me being able to navigate the software properly and fill out all of the information correctly. The site is encrypted so there is a lot of data security. You don't have to worry about your information being stolen and used for identity theft. The refund experience was great. It took me less than a week to receive my refund. And I was able to receive my refund by direct deposit into my bank account. Filing was very fast and easy. It saved me time and money by not having to pay someone else to do what it allowed me to do Made Simple.

Customer service was friendly and helpful. It was easy to use and understand. I could enter information and go back and work with it when I was ready. Security seemed sufficient and I could understand it. I felt safe and secure in entering my data. I didn't think it would be easily hacked. I felt informed and confident in my use. Refund experience was fast and easy. It was quick and easily understood. I felt confident with the results. It was a pleasant experience that was helpful. The filing experience was easy to understand. I could comprehend and fill out questions with confidence. I knew what it was asking and knew the answers.

I've never had to use customer service as the software is very easy to use. I'm sure if I needed it, they would have been helpful as their software. Your information goes directly to the state and federal government. I always felt very safe with it. I had no reason to not trust the software program and looked it up first to make sure it had not been hacked prior to my use. The refund experience was extremely easy. I got my money so fast! When you do your taxes by paper, your refund tends to take longer. When you use the software program, you get your refund so quickly, you really will be happy you did e-file. Trust me when I say, you will be so happy you will switch all future taxes to e-filing!

Agents were very thorough and efficiently walked me through the process. I was very pleased with the results and have lower payments now. Security seemed to be satisfactory. I encountered no issues during the service period that would make me feel otherwise regarding the security. The refund process was unnecessarily complicated. I had to call 5 times to speak with 5 different people. The only reason I was refunded in the end was because I asked for a supervisor. Filing was fairly straightforward. It was set up in the same way as most other tax applications and I was able to do so through my mobile device.

The customer service was great. Whenever I had a problem or concern they would answer in a timely manner. No matter what I needed, all I had to do was call and my concern would be dealt with. The data security is top notch in the business. They make sure that all your important information is safe and secure. I never have to worry about a data breach and my info getting stolen. My refund came faster than I expected. I finished my taxes and submitted them through the website. They said that my refund would be in my bank account in a couple of weeks by it came in just a little over a week. The filing experience was easy to understand and follow. They gave me simple examples to use and where I could find certain information. But overall, it was easy to understand.

Customer service was decent. They did their jobs but were not very friendly. Somewhat helpful, but expected me to do most things on my own. The data security was sufficient. It was not the best available but overall I was satisfied. Could have been a little better though and more thorough. There were no problems with my refund experience. It was about the same wait as with any other service I've used and the refund was the same. The filing experience was fairly easy to understand and simple enough to use. It was similar to other services out there. I was able to complete the filing process quickly.

The customer service was okay. The only thing I would change is the amount of time it takes to get my refund and the percentage taken out by the company. They provided a secure service. I felt like my personal information and my identity were safe with them. The only thing I would change is they should make it easier for me to access my own information online. Their site isn't very user-friendly. I got a decent refund. But the percentage taken out by the company is a little high. I could have got a better rate if I had gone somewhere else. The filing experience overall was generally okay. I would use them again now that I know what to expect. I would also maybe recommend them to my family, friends, and coworkers.

I like this brand very much, I will recommend this to everyone with the same problems, and to everyone I know/have met in my life because this company is good. I will ask my friends to visit their Facebook. The filing experience is very good and I will go to their page and leave really good positive feedback on their website.

They were very understanding and patient. Took the time to listen to you and really understand things and then help, making you feel understood the whole time. Haven't had any issues or feeling that things were compromised. I would recommend, and always felt my information was safe. Received a refund quickly. Much happier with this experience than any others I've used in the past. Although I don't think anything is ever quick enough. Easy to file and make sure everything was together and in on time. Very easy to use and happy with the way everything was handled.

Customer service were professional, friendly and knowledgeable. They were very helpful in making sure I understood the process and information pertaining to IRS processing. The data security I feel was good, I felt comfortable know my information was safe and protected in the hand of the tax audit representative. I was really impressed with the refund experience, they set the tone for when I could expect my money and it actually came before the expected date. The filing experience was easy and convenient. It was easy to electronically transfer my information, enter information and find out what my expected money was.

I think they had great customer service because when I called they help me out a great deal and answered all of my questions very well and kept asking me if I had more questions. I think they had great data security because I have not had any problems with any of my information getting in the wrong hands or the wrong people. I had a great refund experience because filling out the forms was very easy. I got my refund very quickly and I was very happy with the refund. The filing experiences very easy. You could kind of say it was 1-2 not much else to do. The forms were very easy to fill out to get them on their way.

I didn't really need to have much interaction with customer service. I was familiar with how it all worked. This was all pretty straightforward and was easy to comprehend. I felt comfortable and mostly confident in the security provided. It all seemed together and coherent. I was satisfied but also a little disappointed in the money. That is not the fault of service. It falls more on the system. The filing was user friendly and I found the experience to be smooth. I found certain sections and steps a little repetitive and redundant. Perhaps other parts could have been less wordy and more intuitive.

Many of my friends said that they are satisfied and would use the service again. The data security was average. I had heard that some people had problems in the past but I did not have any. The refund experience was fine and I didn't have any overt problems getting my refund. My filing experience was fine.

The customer service was incredible. The person I spoke with was knowledgeable, courteous, and returned my emails in record time. Customer service makes a business and was very pleased with theirs. I was informed from the start that all data was security protected. Any time I attempted to backtrack to enter additional information, I has to re-enter that information. This ensured me that my personal information was well protected. I received my refund in ample time. I also was provided a way to track the time in which I was to receive my refund. I requested it be deposited into my checking account, and it arrived as scheduled. Using the service to file my taxes was easy. The step by step instructions were helpful and easy to follow. In my experience, this was the easiest and quickest way to file.

I enjoyed their customer service. They're so kind and I appreciated their help. I felt like I could ask any question and they always had the right answers. Use all security measures as they help keep your information safe. I never worried about entering my information into their program. It was safe, easy and I was able to get information quickly and safely. My refund was significantly higher than if I did it myself and I was grateful for the program's assistance. It was easy and I still got more money back. It was very efficient and I enjoyed using the money! The filing was easier but still difficult and a little stressful. I wish there was a better system for completing this part. Filing is the most annoying part but I couldn't figure it out.

Everyone at the company was very helpful. They made me feel important and made sure all of my needs were taken care of before the conversation ended. I never had to worry at all about my information being stolen. They were very vigilant in making sure I was as secure as possible and were able to gain my trust. I had no need for a refund but as I am told they have a wonderful policy. They want to make sure they keep their customers so they do everything they can to make sure needs are met. It was a very organized filing experience. I knew where everything was and didn't need to search through piles of papers and folders to find what I needed.

Submitted my Federal and State returns in April, they were both rejected. I "fixed" both returns and resubmitted, as far as I knew both returns were accepted. Come to find out (over a month later - and way after April 15) that they had rejected both my returns again. I contacted support and they informed me that a new security update in the software was the reason, and it rejected my returns because either my name, date of birth, or address had changed since my last filing. Err, none of that has changed for over 3 years and I stated that to the support person multiple times. The only answer the support person could give me was "sorry for your inconvenience". Yeah? Tell that to the IRS now that my returns are late!!! You think they care that your company screwed me???

In conclusion... the customer service is just awful for eSmart Tax, and as they are backed by Liberty Tax I'm thinking that this is just an extension of their own craps service. I will never use eSmart or Liberty Tax again. The experience was simply awful... and I get to pay a late penalty because they refuse to accept any responsibility for their errors. Go elsewhere, or be prepared to get screwed by this ghetto company. Thanks for nothing eSmart and Liberty Tax! Appreciate it!

First year for this worthless website. First, I couldn't print my return until it as accepted by the IRS and my State. I needed a form from the State return to file my local taxes, but I had to wait. Even though I had paid for this, I was not allowed to print it. I even called and wasted 15 minutes of my time until I was finally told that I had to wait. So, my returns are accepted, I was able to print out everything I needed. Then I tried to download to my computer. I tried this lots of times and every time I got the first page and the last page. All the pages in between were blank. Still can't figure this one out.

So needless to say, I will be looking for another site next year. One that I can print my tax papers out when I pay for it and it also has to let me save it to disc. I keep all my taxes returns on my computer and backed up on a flash drive. Until this year, so I will be missing 2015 for the rest of my life. Never again eSmart Tax. You just weren't worth the trouble.

This is the worst website for interactivity and comprehension I've ever gone through. You cannot amend figures once they are saved, you have to figure out where the mistake is, delete all the info in that section and start again. Otherwise, you will try to change info over and over in vain. On top of all that, eSmart does not inform you of serious errors until you have filed and print your returns. Very poor tax prep website.

I filed both my returns. I paid $39.90, which has been charged to my bank account. An email arrived saying my taxes were submitted, then eSmart Tax about the status, I'm told I must send information that isn't pertinent to my taxes much like others' complaints.

My son tried to submit a simple tax form for a very small refund and it was rejected through this system. The company then emailed requesting personal information including a copy of a Driver's License which is not relevant to tax reporting. They said it would have to go through a verification process. This is not acceptable. We have filed through free fileable forms with no issue. The IRS can verify pertinent information themselves, they do not need a third party to do it. This company is seeking information for some other reasons. I would not trust them to do taxes for anyone. If you're in their system, I suggest deleting your account. I would report this company to the IRS. They should not be linked to the IRS website. Furthermore, simply try to get a hold of someone, where is their phone number?

Expert Review

Melissa Hincha-OwnbyTax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.    More about Melissa→

eSmart Tax is the online version of Liberty Tax Service's popular in-person offerings. As part of Liberty Tax Service, eSmart Tax provides several guarantees to customers including satisfaction, accuracy, biggest refunds and a lock-in guarantee. The lock-in guarantee ensures that you pay the fee you agreed to when signing up for the service, regardless of what the price is when you file your return.

• Free audit assistance: CPA audit assistance is provided at no charge to customers that have used eSmart Tax to successfully file a federal and/or state return.
  • State-only option: Taxpayers can choose to file only a state return using eSmart Tax’s software.
  • Easy interface: eSmart Tax has an easy-to-follow, interview-style approach to preparing and filing your taxes.
  • Foreign support: eSmart Tax does not support taxpayers that are part-year residents of the United States.
  • eSmart design: The software design can be difficult at times to understand.
  • Best for Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals