Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.38/5

eSmart Tax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eSmart Tax?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about eSmart Tax ?

Original review: June 17, 2019

Liberty tax’s online tax application is unbelievably bad for what should be a relatively simple process. I’ve had several chats with their customer service, who seem to not have any idea how to fix the web glitches. The solution: visit a Liberty Tax office, to pay them MORE money. If you actually want to submit your taxes online without a hassle, Do NOT use Liberty Tax.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I submitted a request for an extension, and their screen would freeze at one point. Then I got past that screen and there were no further prompts (no "NEXT" button). My status said "In Process". I tried contacting support but the lines were busy. Online support said "We cannot respond now - please send us an email and we will get right back to you". So I emailed them. They never got back.

I've used eSmart Tax for years, and "In Process" means that they are sending forms to IRS - and I wait for word from the IRS. Not so this time! Even though there was no "Next" button on the screen, they never sent anything. I contacted them on the 16th to see if my request to IRS is done, and they told me that "In Process" now means *I* have to do something - even though there was no prompt on their screen. When I explained that to them, all she could say was "you can't file for an extension now because it's too late". No explanation as to why the "Next" button, or some prompt, was missing. When I complained, she disconnected me.

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: April 12, 2019

To my recent surprise, I received a notification from my state tax board that they had not received my state taxes for 2016 and 2017. They are assessing a penalty against me. I filed my state taxes through eSmart tax online and have documentation to prove that yet apparently eSmart tax took my money but did not file the returns. I am deeply concerned that the site is either not being managed well or is fraudulent in some way. Going forward I will not use them again. I recommend to stay away from this company, eSmart Tax.

Original review: April 12, 2019

They will lose your tax return and then say contact IRS. BEWARE! FRAUD COMPANY. If you would like to have the headache of using an uneducated unprofessional and rude customer service experience then make sure you use this company. The Chat feature will turn off as they please so don't get on customer service's bad said... Good luck.

Original review: April 10, 2019

This was on the IRS site as a free way to file for an extension, but at the very end after spending quite a while filling out necessary and extraneous information, it informed me that at 73 years old, my age does not qualify me for free filing! I wonder how old you have to be. IRS should not be recommending them. Trump must know the CEO.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I chose eSmart Free File because it was listed on the IRS website. At first it was great. Very easy to use. However, I started my tax return on Jan 29th and I STILL have not been able to efile my state taxes. I was able to file my Federal return right away, but when trying to file my state, I get a "rejected" error. The error states

"This state is currently turned off for electronic filing. This may be because the state is not yet approved for e-file. You may re-open the return and transmit just the Federal return now then e-file the state return at a later date, once e-file has been activated for the state."

I've chatted online with customer service multiple times, and always get the same response... "we don't know when it will be turned on." Wisconsin has been accepting returns electronically since 1/29. It is not Wisconsin. It is this software. It is now 2/19... 3 weeks after I submitted my federal taxes and I am still not able to efile state. Not only is this a GIANT inconvenience, but it's making me very nervous about getting audited due to faulty software. This company should NOT be listed as a reputable place to do your taxes online! They are VERY SKETCHY. I wish I would've stuck with TAXACT!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

As a US citizen living in Canada for the last 9 years, I've filed my U.S. tax return via paper. This year I thought I would try e-filing for the first time since moving away. I chose this eSmart Tax site because it was one that was recommended by IRS for free file. The process of filling in all my information was fine. But when I submitted my return via e-file, I received a "rejected" status. When I inquired further, the rejected message said my return had been randomly selected for security verification and to contact customer support. I hopped onto the online chat and was given instructions to email my driver's license to an email address (which seemed legitimate) and that I'd receive an email immediately. So I fired a picture of my license off to the email...

I tried to log on to eSmart Tax again to use the online chat feature again, but now I get a message that my login and password are invalid. I have never felt as uncomfortable with a website as I have with this. They have my personal information and it's as if they have locked me out. Even if they fix this, I won't use this site again. I'm far from impressed. I would not recommend them. Shady experience makes me wonder if this is a scam.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I filed my tax return as I always do and received an error message email from eSmart Tax stating they had a coding issue and were correcting it on their end and no action was required on my part. I received this email again within a week so I entered into the chat and asked why. They stated my return was in Virginia's hands which was not the truth. It hadn't been submitted yet due to a software update which still doesn't make sense. I will not be using them again. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: April 17, 2018

We used eSmart in the past, but this year they failed so bad. After filing our returns were rejected saying "Your electronic signature was rejected because the prior year Adjusted Gross Income does not match IRS records. Please verify that the Prior Year AGI entered is correct." We reviewed our Fed & State AGI was correct, as proved from last year's returns from eSmart. Via Chat, eSmart agreed and said to resubmit and they would flag our account as "bypass" so it would go to IRS. We asked chatter to explain why this is happening and how does bypass work, but she ignored our question and closed our session. Never asked if we had more questions, just, "Thank you, bye." So we followed her advice and resubmitted again, but again it rejected.

We then tried to open Chat again, and got message "Chat not available, please email", so we emailed but no response. We could never get back into a chat session, so it was like our account was flagged. There is no phone #, only email or contact a local office, so we did, and offices say they don't support eSmart, but we can come in and file with them, but have to pay again. Really?! ESmart is so bad, we're done with them.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I have been using esmart.com for tax preparation (Liberty Tax) for the past couple of years but something has changed within this tax preparation company so I will not be coming back next year. I always file my federal and state tax returns on opening day of IRS to prevent fraudulent returns which you are encouraged to do per social media. I have been waiting since Jan 29th of 2018 for eSmart to download the state of Michigan state tax preparation so I can efile it. I have never had this issue in the past and will not be returning next year. Customer Service (both per email and chat) blames the state for not providing them timely access to their download but I filed the state of Michigan on another tax preparation site (Eztax) for another family member who also used eSmart in previous years and had no issue there. That return was already accepted by the State of Michigan which means the delay is on eSmart (liberty tax) not the state of Michigan.

It is obvious that Liberty Tax who provides the service for Esmart.com wasn't ready for a service they advertised and most of all they are operating under false pretenses. After complaining day after day, I am constantly being told that states are being downloaded every day, so keep checking back to see if my state is ready yet for efile. Who has time for that! Once I complete my Federal, I don't want to check back every day for weeks to complete and efile my state return which means they have no idea when it will be ready on their tax preparation site which is a service they provide for and charge for.

This is outrageous! What bothers me the most is that I should have been informed before starting and paying for my Federal Efile that my State is not available and they have no idea when it will be ready which would have given me the choice to change to another tax preparation tax site because once you pay and efile for your Federal return you are locked into that online preparation site because you can't file your state without the Federal at other places. They have you locked in and most of they don't care. That is not acceptable and very alarming and BAD BUSINESS. It's been 14 days and counting that I have been waiting for a service that should have been provided with opening day of IRS.

eSmart Tax author review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

This is the online version of Liberty Tax Service. As part of Liberty Tax Service, eSmart Tax makes several promises to its customers, including satisfaction, accuracy, biggest-refund and lock-in guarantees.

• Ways to file: This company has online and in-store filing. If you used a competitor site for filing in a previous year, you can easily import your tax information to eSmart’s website.

• Services: eSmart Tax has three basic plans that cover every type of tax situation. Its programs are ideal for simple tax situations, complex filings and contract workers.

• Tax security and fraud protection: This company won’t share your personal information with any third parties or outside organizations. Its website has a high level of encryption and firewall protection.

• Cost for services: All three plans cost $44.95.

by Melissa Hincha-Ownby Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

eSmart Tax Company Information