ezTaxReturn Reviews

Written by
Author picture
Edited by

About ezTaxReturn

Authorized as an IRS e-file provider, EZtaxreturn is an online tax-filing website with a flat-fee price, with many forms and schedules supported. For taxpayers with a simple federal return, filing online is free. The website claims you can file your federal and state taxes online in as little as 30 minutes. It is best for taxpayers with uncomplicated tax returns.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Free customer support
  • Flat-fee pricing
  • Max refund guarantee
Cons
  • Strict basic file qualifications
  • Not for all states
  • Cannot file previous years

What is ezTaxReturn?

EzTaxReturn is for non-complicated tax returns. It supports many forms and states, but it is not all-inclusive like its competitors. While it might be a great fit for W-2 workers, it does not fully support self-employment income because it does not offer depreciation and depletion. It can support one home office per business, though.

A few features that make ezTaxReturn stand out is that it allows unlimited free refiles if your return was rejected for any reason. It also says that it offers no-wait-on-hold phone support, and the free customer support is available seven days a week during business hours.

How does ezTaxReturn work?

EzTaxReturn works by guiding users through the process of filing their federal and state taxes online. Once you create an account, you can begin entering your financial information into the software. This includes details such as income, deductions, and credits.

As you input your financial information, ezTaxReturn automatically checks for errors and prompts you to correct any mistakes. After you have entered all your financial information, ezTaxReturn provides a summary of the return. You can review this information to ensure everything is accurate and complete. Once you are satisfied, you can finalize the return and submit it to the IRS and/or state tax authorities.

ezTaxReturn products

EzTaxReturn simplifies online tax prep with two services at flat-rate fees. If you qualify for a simple return, you will only pay $19.95 to file for state. However, unlike many other tax software companies, ezTaxReturn has stricter qualifications for simple files. You can’t claim any dependents and your income must be less than $50,000.

If you don’t qualify for the simple file, you can still prepare and e-file your federal, state or both.

EzTaxReturns offers three years of secure storage of your returns and three years of unlimited downloads on your returns (free simple files do not get three free years of downloads).

ezTaxReturn pricing

EzTaxReturn is upfront about all filing and additional fees. You can expect to pay the following:

• Simple return: $0 federal, $19.95 state, $19.95 both
  • Regular return: $19.95 federal, $29.95 state, $39.95 both
  • Audit support: $39.95
  • Amend return insurance: $9.95
  • Current-year amend return: $19.95
  • Pay with your refund: $29.95

ezTaxReturn FAQ

What refund options does ezTaxReturn offer?

You can choose to have your tax refund sent as a paper check or a direct deposit to up to three separate accounts. You can also have your refund sent to a new or existing prepaid card, although that can come with restrictions or additional fees.

Which states does exTaxReturn support?

EzTaxReturn supports state tax returns for the following states:

• Alabama
  • Pennsylvania
  • South Carolina
  • Virginia
  • Wisconsin
What refund guarantees does ezTaxReturn have?

EzTaxReturn will refund you if you get a bigger federal return with any other online tax program or tax professional. There is no mention of refund guarantees for state returns.

What investments can you include with ezTaxReturn?

You can include one rental property in your ezTaxReturn file if you don’t claim appreciation or depreciation expenses. You will not be able to claim investment interest as an itemized deduction.

Is ezTaxReturn legit?

EzTaxReturn is a legitimate online tax filing service that has been in business since 1999. It is an easy, flat-rate tax solution that will work with many uncomplicated situations. However, if you are looking for a tax service with more hands-on expert support or that can support complicated files, ezTaxReturn is not the right company for you.

ezTaxReturn Reviews

Stars Rating

• 67%
  • 7%
  • 4%
  • 8%
  • 14%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ezTaxReturn?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ezTaxReturn?
    PriceOnline & AppStaff

Reviewed Sept. 26, 2023

I use ezTaxReturn’s electronic website for filing and it makes it so simple even for someone like me. Their website is easy to see, read and find your way around. In a lot of websites, a lot of professional jargon throws you off and that's not the case with them. They're straightforward. ezTaxReturn is awesome. I give them my information and they seem to be respectful about how they handle it. They provide me with information so that I can determine whether I need something to change something. They give me the opportunity to have an opinion about what's gonna go in my file and allow me to check it electronically two or three times. Finally, I get to decide if I'm going to submit. The first time I filed, I didn't pay because I was under a limit. But I paid on my subsequent filing. It was affordable and extremely reasonable.

Dear John,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! It really means a lot to our Product Team to know that their work was appreciated and the impact it has within the organization. At ezTaxReturn, we strive to offer all our customers straightforward steps to file their returns and provide accurate guidance to the best of our ability. Our team is always ready to help and we look forward to serve you again next year.

Reviewed Sept. 15, 2023

The first time I used ezTaxReturn, it took two hours because I didn't have too much experience filing taxes online. But after three times, it was easy for me and my wife, because we do it together all the time. I was supposed to pay $50 the first time and ezTaxReturn gave me a $20 discount. I just paid $30. It was a good price because around the area I live in, they charge a lot of money. The second time, it was 40 and it's still 40. I referred ezTaxReturn to my friends and they started using them too.

Dear Jairo,

It's an incredible honor that you think highly enough of our service to refer ezTaxReturn to your friends. We’re glad we made your experience with us a great one and will be happy to see you and your friends again next tax season. Don’t forget to join our mailing list for discounts that you and your loved ones can make use of during your next purchase. Thank you so much for your valuable feedback!

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

PriceStaff

Reviewed Aug. 26, 2023

ezTaxReturn always sends me an offer for a discount, but I never get the code in there. It's hard. I get an email with a code and I wanna use it. I start the process from that email. But I get to that part and I've already checked out, it's not there. I'm sure it's a big thing of user error. But because I use the link, I thought it would be easy and be on there. ezTaxReturn should have something that says, "Add code now before they total." Because I couldn't go back once it's completed. I'm so scared I would start over. There's no way I'm gonna make a stop. What if that screwed everything up? And 20% off is not worth it. But for more than one year, I never got to use the discount. Which is usually only 5% or $20. But every bit helps. I have my own little business. So, I always have to pay in. Other than that, the reps were helpful.

Hi Rachel,

We're very sorry you were unable to use the coupon code provided for our program this past tax season and we will take your feedback into account as we look to improve our user experience. Please reach out in the future with any further questions that may arise or any additional feedback. We are always here for you.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedEase of Use

Reviewed Aug. 11, 2023

There are a lot of things that I like using ezTaxReturn for. I've been using them since 2015 online. I like that I can go back and see all of my tax stuff in one space, that I can download my tax stuff afterwards, and that they send me email notifications when I need to amend things. It's in the name. ezTaxReturn is easy to use. It makes it simple for someone like me who has a specific income. If I had more complicated tax filing, it wouldn't work. But for people that make under $50,000 a year that need to do their taxes quickly, it's a great service.

It would be nice that they would have a staggered payment for the taxes. So, if you make under 15,000 a year, you only have to pay $25 or $30 to file. And if you make above 15,000 up to 30,000, maybe you pay $20 to $35. It's a lot when I'm only filing for a bit to pay them 50 bucks. But usually, they let me do one of them for free. Other than that, it's great.

Dear Michelle,
      We are so happy to read that you liked our EZ service and we hope you'll continue to enjoy using our program. ezTaxReturn.com makes complicated returns easy and your feedback greatly helps our team in continuously improving the program. Please reach out to us if you need any assistance as we are just an email away.

Until next season!

Punctuality & SpeedStaffProcess

Reviewed July 22, 2023

I've used ezTaxReturn probably for five years now and I've never had a problem. It’s great that I'm able to file more quickly than I had done in the past and in turn, getting my refund more quickly. They keep my previous year tax returns on file, so that I can access them whenever I need them, as well as being able to roll forward any information in that tax return. The ease of being able to file a tax return is super wonderful. They have a wizard that walks you through each of the steps so, I never miss anything. If you need to stop midway through the process, it saves your progress and you're able to return and continue working on it. Sometimes, if you want to take a look at different alternatives, you can enter information, see how it affects the end result, and then go back and modify things as needed. So, it's very helpful. If people need an online tax return company, ezTaxReturn would be the company I would choose.

Hi Paula,

We greatly appreciate you sharing the details of your experience with our tax filing program. We also love to hear about customers coming back year after year. Please reach out in the future with any additional feedback. We are so grateful seeing our customers empowered and continually returning to use our program. Thank you!

Reviewed April 16, 2024

The process was fairly easy and straightforward, but if you have anything besides a W2 they have hidden fees at the very end. So if you spent 2 hours filling out your taxes like I did only to discover them at the end it's a pretty big bummer. While the fees are cheaper than most of the competitor sites it's still a sizable amount, and at least those sites tell you they will be charging you extra.

Dear Lucien,
      Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate your honesty and are glad to hear that you found our process easy and straightforward.

We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced regarding the fees. Transparency is a core value for us, and we strive to ensure that all pricing information is readily available to our customers upfront. Our pricing is on our homepage and our pricing page and upfront on all of our offerings and we have no hidden fees.

Staff

Reviewed April 15, 2024

I am very grateful for Tyan. She has done my kids' taxes and mine. She is amazing and very good explaining my questions. I will continue to go to her. This is my 2nd year and I am very pleased. Thank you for all your help and care.

Reviewed March 24, 2024

Warning DO NOT USE EZTAXRETURN. Yes - it may be free, but that is the only good thing about it. I just tried their software because the 'free' service I used last year now wants to charge me $50 for the same tax return forms as the previous year. Here is what happened: Entered all our personal info, income, expenses etc. without any issues. Their 'Federal Bottom Line' page indicated a tax due over $1200 more than what it should have been!

Clicked on the 'why' beside that incorrect number and it brought up the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gains worksheet which shows your total tax due on line 25. The number there was correct, but the software puts in a number that was over $1200 more than the number from the worksheet. This was flat out wrong and I used 2 other services to confirm that it was wrong. So, you get to file for free, but this inferior software will cost you hundreds if not thousand in tax due. In my case over $1100. Also, their software compute the overage we had through the Healthcare marketplace -guessing this would be a HUGE red flag to set you up for a potential audit.

Customer Service

Reviewed Feb. 13, 2024

I received an e-mail telling me my State tax return was rejected, with instructions to log onto my account and there would be complete instructions on how to correct the return. There is nothing on my account page that tells me how to make the correction and I cannot access my State return to make corrections. To date, I have sent four messages to request help and have not received a response. EZTax has taken my money but has done nothing to help me correct the situation.

Pinned

Thank you for your patience. We've been in touch with you and we're committed to assisting you every step of the way. We've prioritized your case and will maintain regular contact to provide the necessary assistance. Your satisfaction is our priority, and we're dedicated to resolving this matter to your complete satisfaction. Thank you for your understanding as we work diligently to resolve this for you.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Sept. 26, 2023

The experience with ezTaxReturn was grotesque. They were incompetent and very unethical. They harass people. They refused to do the taxes of my son as a mentally handicapped person because their service would have been free, and, therefore, they weren't going to make any money on him. I'm his guardian and I should have sued them. They were nasty jerks who discriminated against the mentally handicapped and they should be shut down by the IRS. People need to be warned about the shyster and immoral organization that they are. The company called us seven times this morning and I went off on them. I'm usually a pretty calm person but they were absolutely foul.

ezTaxReturn Company Information