3.8/5 (608 ratings)

About Jackson Hewitt

Jackson Hewitt provides online and in-store tax services for consumers at nearly 6,000 locations nationwide. Jackson Hewitt offers three different levels of service and guarantees that consumers get the biggest possible refund by using its software.

Pros

• Easy to file online or in-store
  • Drop-off services available
  • Nearly 6,000 locations

Cons

• Independently franchised locations

Bottom Line

Jackson Hewitt is a tax service and software company with three plan options. The company has a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all tax refunds.

Top Jackson Hewitt Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I always receive great service and knowledge when I visit Sherry. ... I make an appointment and I'm always seen on time. I recommend her to anyone not knowing much about a tax ret...

Verified

Fast & easy filling tax office. Clean friendly staff & satisfies all my tax needs. Will refer people to their office. Very knowledgeable on tax questions & offers great loans. I n...

What is Jackson Hewitt?

Jackson Hewitt is a nationwide tax service company that specializes in tax preparation, tax filing and debt resolution. The company offers services online and in physical locations, so you can choose your ideal tax experience with Jackson Hewitt by dropping your taxes off at a location near you or filing your taxes online with the assistance of a Jackson Hewitt tax professional.

To get started with Jackson Hewitt, visit the company's website and create a MyJH account. You need to provide:

• Your name
  • A username
  • A valid email address
  • Security questions
  • A phone number

Once you’ve created a MyJH account, you can upload and organize your tax documents, pick a filing office and get assistance from Jackson Hewitt’s tax professionals. If you’d rather work with a tax professional in person, you can drop your taxes off at a Jackson Hewitt office or Walmart location instead of registering online.

Jackson Hewitt provides a Maximum Refund Guarantee, which states the company reimburses you $100 if you don’t receive the best possible refund.

How much does Jackson Hewitt charge?

Jackson Hewitt has three plans for different taxpayers’ needs:

• Free plan: This plan is a good choice for people with up to $100,000 in taxable income who file simple tax returns. The free plan is ideal for those who file with W-2s, receive unemployment income or are eligible for the earned income tax credit (with no dependents).
  • Deluxe plan ($29.99 plus $36.99 per state filed): The Deluxe works best for families with dependents, people paying student loans or educator expenses and those who have retirement income.
  • Premier plan ($49.99 plus $36.99 per state filed): This plan is suited for those with complex tax returns. It's the best option for taxpayers who are self-employed, own rental properties or have an income of more than $100,000.

Jackson Hewitt FAQ

How much does it cost to get your taxes done at Jackson Hewitt?
Jackson Hewitt has three plans that cost different amounts:
  • Free plan
  • Deluxe plan: $29.99
  • Premier plan: $49.99
What do I need to take to Jackson Hewitt?
What you need to bring to Jackson Hewitt depends on which forms you need to fill out to file your taxes. A person filing a basic return should bring:
  • Photo ID
  • Last year’s federal and state tax returns
  • Social Security card
  • Wage statement
Does Jackson Hewitt do tax advances?
Yes, Jackson Hewitt provides refund advances of up to $3,200 on a prepaid card. You can apply on its website.
How do I check my refund status with Jackson Hewitt?
You can check your refund status by logging in to your MyJH account and visiting the Returns Status page.

Is Jackson Hewitt worth it?

Jackson Hewitt receives high marks from customers looking for an in-office experience. The company also has several offices throughout the U.S., so it is very convenient. However, its three different service plans cost more than many of its competitors and are not as in-depth as other do-it-yourself tax programs. If you want a face-to-face experience, Jackson Hewitt is a strong candidate; otherwise, be sure to research other options.

Jackson Hewitt Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jackson Hewitt?

Original review: March 12, 2021

I love Jackson Hewitt because they offer the tax advances, one with a fee and one without, and a smaller one as well. I used 2 out of 3. This really helped me at the beginning of the year, what with Covid-19 drama and all.

Original review: March 8, 2021

My tax preparer Stephanie is awesome! She is thorough and answers all my questions if she doesn't know she will go find out! She goes the extra mile for her clients. Hope she prepares my taxes again next year!

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2021

Leanna ** is by far the sweetest person that I have ever had do my taxes. She always has a smile on her face and is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. She makes filing taxes a fun experience. This is the second year in a row that I have gone to her and I won't be going to anyone else as long as she's still working here. Filing taxes use to be a time consuming headache and a hassle but now it's a easy and fast experience that leaves me feeling accomplished with one less task on my to do list. So thank you to Mrs ** for making filing my taxes a pleasant experience.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

As soon as you walk into this office, you are greeted with a smile, a great atmosphere, very professional staff, and very knowledgeable, with all products and services, very informative and helpful in every aspect of being of service to their customers. A very comfortable experience.

Original review: July 19, 2021

Horrible as Hell. You guys charge me hundreds to do my taxes do my income tax for me. However, you guys make a mistake and I get penalties to do a payment amendment. You guys said you will cover the interest that will be charge, but when I went to hand you guys the paper the IRS send me, you guys did not even seem to care or even pay the interest. Instead, IRS even send another bill at me with a higher interest than before saying that I did not pay the interest when you guys are the one who is suppose to take care of it. Is this how you guys treat your customers when you guys make a mistake? It is just about $13 interest at first that you guys have to pay the IRS instead of me for your mistake, now it rises to $36. I can't even contact you guys since it's on a machine that does not even gives me an option. Seriously, I felt like I got Scam by you guys for 4 whole years asking you guys to do my income tax.

Original review: May 11, 2021

Due to Covid and time constraints I ended up at local Jackson Hewitt. I have very basic taxes but was having trouble getting IRS to acknowledge my free file return. My normal family firm charged me $64 for a more involved return last so I had the idea this would be about the same. It wasn't. I was charged $318.00 and if I had the money taken out of my tax refund it would cost $49 more. I obviously was upset and the preparer couldn't tell me why mine was so much. Later, on a few websites I found that a 1099R is 300.00 but mine is just plain income, no deductions, no schedules, no savings or IRAs just monthly income from early retirement (I was laid off). All she had to do was take standard deduction, check the tax table, and subtract to get refund or what was owed. That's it. They never told me or showed me prices. Ask them before they start on your return! This is a J.H. that's been in business for years and you get to their info through the website of the parent J.H. company.

Original review: April 15, 2021

Jackson Hewitt filed my taxes last year. They messed them up. Had to get someone else file an amendment. Jackson hewitt said they would return the fee I paid over a month ago. Still no refund. Getting runaround. Dont waste your time or money.

Original review: April 14, 2021

I went and did my tax return married filing jointly and when the return came American express serve card denied me any right whatsoever to our account. I called Jackson hewitt. They wouldn't help then came our stimulus. I was denied any right to it as well. So overall I was given what little my husband allowed me to have and nobody would help. Jackson hewitt basically said, "Sorry." Wouldnt even attempt to correct. I feel as if my taxes and stimulus wasn't both stolen.

Original review: April 6, 2021

We took my boyfriend's taxes that they charged $50.00 for last year. Pedram spent close to 2 1/2 hours working the keyboard before announcing we would have to pay $386.00! WOW! When asked why it went from $50.00 to $386.00 Pedram couldn't answer. Claimed "It's the software". Claimed he was texting a manager to request a discount but no answer. My boyfriend's on Social Security with 2 forms ONLY! We went home and went to the IRS website and did the tax preparation for FREE in less than one half an hour. Taking advantage of disabled people is a disgrace. They should be fined!

Original review: March 10, 2021

Due to my anxiety level & me being mentally exhausted beyond words, I'm unable to repeat every single lie, mess up, disrespectful manager, no knowledge employee, hours upon hours, & the feeling of someone just robbed me. I can't tell you 1 time I've ever had a single issue since the first year I was of age to file until I came here. Always go with your intuition b/c had I done so I wouldn't be here severely stressed, angry, and feeling defeated. Literally had to leave after spending 4 hours of misery for her to complete a very simple 1 person hoh w/ dependents, & 1 job with 2 w2's (2 positions at work) & her telling me it would be around 200 (she used JH site) then when completed turned into close to 900 (she made sure she did everything right on their estimator & was just as puzzled as me but didn't know why)!

I told her I'd be back to sign later. Went back like a fool & it has been a nightmare. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've flat out been lied to & now I'm losing my electricity, my only vehicle, & our phones. Filed 1/21/21,accepted 2/11/21, no money, no answers, no date, & per jh it hasn't been 21 days yet, today 3/9/21. If you want to keep your sanity (took me 4 sheets of paper front & back to beginning to end of this horrific experience I've had) do not have your taxes done here.

Jackson Hewitt Company Information