Jackson Hewitt

Compare Tax Services

Research top Tax Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I went to Jackson Hewitt on February 7th 2017. My experience was awesome. It took a little longer than I thought it would but other than that they did a great job. Yes I was approved for my loan for 1,000 dollars and I receive it within two hours.

So done with doing my taxes here - I really should of learned my lesson the first time they messed up my taxes. Plus I never even got a folder. They just hand me a stack of papers. This year they said I didn't qualify for the $50 Walmart card when they told me I would be getting it???? I just can't - they lost a customer today.

I went to Jackson Hewitt because they were advertising $1,300 advance and a $25 $50 Walmart card. I actually did get the $1,300 Advance on my refund and I'm happy about that but the $50 gift card I received in my email and when I finally went to use it there was a zero balance. When I called to complain the agents told me that they would call me back. After they found out about it when they would call me back they pretty much told me that they looked at the account and that it had been used on this particular date and another particular date and that there was a zero balance. Without me giving them any of the card information on my information they were able to look at the card's funds and what happened with it.

I never asked him that because I didn't think about it until later but they said the manager told them that and that the man just said that they could not reissue a card because apparently my email must have been hacked because the only way someone would have the information to the car to use it would be to go on my email and I never gave "them" my email or the card number and they had the information. So somebody explain how to me I am going to go to the police.

If there was any way I can start investigation or file charges on this local area and Morristown Tennessee for a scam. If anybody else has been done like this please contact me at **. I am trying my best to get this resolved without going through all of these hurdles. If I get it resolved I will repost and apologize to Jackson Hewitt but until it is resolved if it is resolved I have nothing but complaints and concerns. I'm worried that if they stole or scanned me for $50 0 is there a bigger scheme behind everything else too.

I am a twenty year Jackson Hewitt customer. I never had a problem with them all these years until now. I have only 1 w2 but this year it took over three hours to do my taxes because the poor lady that was doing them had never done tax returns before. Instead of having someone there who could walk her through it they left her to figure it out on her own. I finally got done and went home and the next day got a call from JH saying they had to make a couple changes on my state return and that I needed to come back to the office to do more paperwork. So I went back up and signed the paperwork. My state return is in dispute because of the changes the OWNER of the franchise made on my state return. I called JH and told them of the problem and filed a customer care complaint.

A week later I was called BACK to the office again because now since JH told the state of Kansas that I was a resident of Kansas all year they now needed a copy of my lease and rental agreement. I took in the paperwork they were asking for and expected them to fix it. The owner keeps saying that it doesn't matter how long I lived in the state of Kansas as long as I am now a resident of Kansas and will not fix it even though I have said many times and my w2 shows that I lived in MO for part of the year. The customer care complaint I filed was never turned in. I was told that I would hear back from them in 24-72 hours. I waited two weeks and never heard back so I called again and was kept on hold for a half hour. I asked many times to speak to a supervisor and was not allowed to. I finally hung up and called the corporate complaint number again and would not even give them my name until I got a supervisor on the line.

When I finally got a supervisor I was told that they could see that I had filed a customer care complaint but that the person who was supposed to turn it in never did so it never got done. Now they are saying again that I will hear back from them in 24-72 hours. I feel like I paid them to send me up the proverbial river. I always pay a professional to do my taxes because I am not qualified to do them myself and want the peace of mind in knowing they are done right and that I don't have to worry about going to jail or anything like that.

Right now I am terrified that I may end up in jail or prison because they jacked up my tax return. I wouldn't want anyone else to go through this, that is the only reason I am writing this... I thought I was paying for peace of mind and now I am so worried I am making plans for my daughter in case I end up in jail or prison. PLEASE DO NOT GO TO JACKSON HEWITT UNLESS YOU HAVE A LAWYER ON RETAINER TO FIX YOUR TAX PROBLEMS.

Worst place to have your taxes filed. Express refund is a joke. They say it will be taken out of your federal tax return but take it out of your state tax. Called and asked where my state was and they said that I wasn't even in the system. That's kinda weird because I had my taxes filed there. Called the same office I had my taxes filed at and they tell me that I'm not in the system. Worst place to have my taxes filed. Should've took them to H&R Block. Never had problems with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jackson Hewitt?

For a basic tax return they will charge you about $400-500... Most people have no problem since this is just a reduction of their overall tax refund. However, why spend that much of your hard earned money for a basic service, you can go elsewhere for a much lower price. If you drive around your area during tax season you will notice dozens of tax prep providers. Here is the real let down, they "hide" the keys to the customer file cabinets in the paper shredder. Simply visit a Jackson Hewitt kiosk located inside Walmart after 9 pm and peek inside the paper shredder. Here you will find the key that locks up customer files, completed tax returns that contain all your important information. It seems like a large company like JH that processes a few million annual returns would be able to spend the extra money for employees to have their own set of keys instead of hiding them overnight.

They are LIARS!! I was approved for the loan and they told me it would be taken out my federal. They straight up took my whole state... NEVER GOING BACK THERE AGAIN! LIARS LIARS!!!

Ok so on the 8th of January I went to see if I qualified for the loan. I did. I received it within 30 mins. They told me I have to bring my w2 to them and my last dependent (I had only given them 2 dependents and I have 3 but didn't have the 3rd's social security), and at that point they would fix it and then I would receive the other 800$ on my card. Well I receive 800$ on the 11th of January, I was kind of surprised since I haven't given them my w2 yet nor my last dependent. So my in-laws went to file my taxes and the IRS said it was already filed and rejected my taxes.

I called the corporate office and they said I went into the branch on the 12th with my w2 and that's how I got the 800$. I said NO, I didn't receive my w2 until Jan 27th. How the hell could I have given them my w2 on the 12th? And besides I received that 800 on the 11th. So now I have to do my refund on paper and it's going to take 6 to 8 weeks before I get them back. They are liars and scammers too. Don't trust them. Horrible people... I have to wait 'till they open to resolve this but it's not going to fix the fact that I now have to wait 6 to 8 weeks for my check...

Ripped off on fees -- My daughter lives in Wichita, Kansas and she filed both state and federal there this year, and the fees for her state refund was the full amount she was due to received. She was to get back $14050 and they kept the whole amount for the fees. Now she's worrying about her federal tax as to if they will also keep that and no she did not get a loan as she had lost her ID and had to wait till her next payday to get a replacement ID so she was denied the loan. I've heard so many complaints on Jackson Hewitt. They should be forcibly closed and sued for every cents that they took customers for.

I have used Jackson Hewitt in the past always high prices but since everyone in the world is struggling hard I thought I would give it another chance. I asked several times how much it would cost Jackson Hewitt to do my tax's. They would not disclose a price (like they used to) to trap people in the end of their tax return to get upset. I was so upset. First they tried to charge $400.00 fee's on top of fee's. I am single mother on fixed income.

So I made the lady do my tax's. Call someone and get it down $287.00 but I couldn't use $50.00 gift card. That was still outrageous for one for 5 minutes of time to easy form I will tell everyone that Hewitt Jackson rips people off. Your dishonest and I hope you go out business. When I went there in the past you had hundred of people. Now the site was empty. Now I know why the library does your taxes for free!!! And turbo taxes only charges $50.00, H&R block charge 34.99 to do it online. Hope this review is viewed by all and they stay away Jackson Hewitt. Shame on you!!!

I read many negative comments about this company and I disregarded them. I should have considered them. I filed my taxes with Jackson Hewitt(JH) hoping I would qualify for a tax refund loan, which by the way I was qualified for by Metabank, the bank that's partnered with JH for this loan. However, it's been four days since I filed and I still don't have an answer... even though I was charged a fee for the refund loan application. I was told by JH that there was an error on their end that had prevented my application from processing and that they would try to resolve it and get back to me. No one has contacted me about the issue again, and every time I call them, I get through to a "National Customer Care Representative" which by the way never knows anything and all they can do is transfer me to my local tax preparer, which of course does not understand what the issue is or pick up my fall.

I was charged $388 because the preparer prepared a 1040A and a schedule C for $400 I earned with Uber in 2016. My wife and I filed, we had 2 W-2's. That's a lot of money for very little work... anyway, if you have any issues with this company you will notice they won't resolve anything for you. Now all I can hope for is that there were no issues with my return and that I will get my refund. This company should not be in business, they suck at their job.

I went into my local Walmart to do my 2016 taxes on Feb 01, 2017. I have been going to Jackson Hewitt for the past 7 yrs and never had a problem filing w/ them. Anyway this year I was asked by my preparer if I wanted to apply for the "rapid express loan". I figured why not. So she did my application and within an hour I received an email stating I was approved for the max, $1300. Like everyone else I thought that this amount was just a pre-approved amount and my "real" amount would be like 200 bucks. The next day Feb 2nd I checked my personal bank account because I don't like gift cards/money cards and the whole 1300$ was in my account.

I paid Jackson Hewitt 500$ to file my taxes and to do the EIC. I have 1 child. For me It's worth it. Every year that's about the right amount that I usually pay out. IDK if there's anywhere cheaper but I guess I keep going back because I haven't been screwed by them yet also. I try to read my preparers, if they are new at filing then I'll ask to see someone more experienced. You can tell by the way your preparer looks uncomfortable. I had to change my preparer before because she got confused and started to call her management over the phone. Ask your preparer how much experience do they have in filling your "certain" type of taxes. Watch their body language, ask questions, etc. Remember if you're feeling uncomfortable or you have to 2nd guess your preparer, just say "no"!

I have had the same experience as most people here in Cleveland GA office on hwy 129. They have lied to me and promised things about an advance that is not true. They charged 400$ for filing my taxes and then when I called the main office the main office informs me that my taxes have not even been filed and they can't even find me in the system! They got my birthday wrong and put my name in wrong. They have hippa violations in the trash can in the office and then when you confront them they yelled at me and tried to make it sound like I was lying! This is crazy and I am also calling the IRS and the BBB in the morning and making a police report because this is a huge scam and a even bigger headache and heartache for families that need what has been promised! I am glad I am not the only person they are doing wrong but we all need to report them to stop this scam!

Usually do my taxes online myself. Purchased a house this year, so I went to Jackson Hewitt. Explained my bank was purchased and I would have to call my correct account in, but they sent my taxes with my old account information. I called the next day, they can do nothing, it was my responsibility. Informed them their website would not authenticate per the information they gave me for access. They have nothing to do with the website, not their problem. I even had to show them where to find the credit for the new furnace and blower I had to have installed, so I'm sure I really didn't need them.

They said with my taxes, and interest, and medical the standard deduction was more, and I would get the 200 credit. My cost is 186 and the IRS may send my check via snail mail, again my problem. Honestly, their problem. They are not properly trained, no customer service skills whatsoever, and rude. Save your money, go elsewhere. For those in Cumberland, MD, this was at the Mall.

I went to Jackson Hewitt for the first time yesterday after running into hardship and being pre-qualified for the refund loan. I thought this was a way to get a little Advance on my tax refund. I had already figured out online using three different free tax preparation sites what I was getting and figured that if they could help me to get the refund loan it would be worth paying a couple dollars since it's not available online through their services. After going in and spending an hour with one of their workers and being quoted a price of $350 and ending up over $500 to prepare my taxes I was disgusted. But being hard times and need a small Advance like I said I would have had and went through with it.

Well of course the tables turn and a few hours later I received an email that I was not getting the refund loan even though I had pre-qualified for up to $1,300. I really think it is more of a scam to get you to come into their office and pay for their services vs jointed online for free. I think this needs to be researched and see if there isn't some kind of a class action suit that could be brought against them. I for one would be more than happy to go and give all my information up to go after them for this.

Ladies and gentlemen!! Do yourself a favor!!? DO NOT APPLY FOR EXPRESS REFUND ADVANCE LOAN AT JACKSON HEWITT!!! I went to a JH at one S 4th Avenue in Mount Vernon wanted an advance loan. My tax professional name is **, told me I will get an email later today whether I get approve or not and that the funds will be AVAILABLE within 48 hours. Just to make sure, I asked another tax professional, was sitting right behind my tax professional who told me she had a customer who had to wait after 48 hours but was certain that customer will get the loan unless he/she owes money so I know I will get the loan.

Went home, got an email, stated I was approved for $200.00. So the next day which was Saturday, January 21st. Waited for hours before calling the 800 number to found out that I was not approve for the 1st loan. But wait?!!! What 1st loan??! NEVER was told but this supervisor who was on that day told me I was approve for the second loan but have to wait until I bring in my W-2s. I have been going to JH for YEARS and I am so disappointed how dishonest and untrustworthy these people on just to make SURE they have customers to get money for without being totally honest with them. Is it bad enough we have a good for nothing president to run our country to have people at JH rob our hard earned money. Next year I will check out H&R Block!!!

I prepared my own personal and business taxes online using JH software. The whole setup was unbelievably bad from the get go but when it came to sending my return, they flat lied to me. It stated when I would log in that they were sent but after several days I was told they had a problem with their software and they couldn't transmit the return. I paid $55 for poor software, no direction and then no transmission to IRS.

It cost over $700 in fees to file my 2017 Income Tax at Jackson Hewitt; that sticker shock came after my preparation was complete. If I had known I'd did my own tax filing. This company is getting rich off the poor. Also that up to $1300 loan... forget about it. That's just the lure to get you in the building. You will get an email stating you don't qualify for it within an hour after leaving the building.

Very dissatisfied customer. Omg they lead you to believe you are getting a loan toward your tax refund. Called and ask why I DIDN't. She said I was denied due to a bill I haven't paid. She gave me a number to call. So I DID, and just like I thought. I had nothing against me. All I can say is don't trust this company. My first time using them and my last. If I was rating them I would give them a big fat zero.

So it's not very long since I came here to US as a student, then after graduation, I joined the Army (it sounds weird I know.. but it happens). I saw TurboTax is offering free tax file service for the income through Army, I started filing tax through them step by step. They estimated my federal refund would be $2000 and my state refund would be around $500. However they said for state refund I have to file in person in NY where my permanent address was during my initial active duty. Confused by this, I decided to go to JH.

I recently moved to WV and I went to the Walmart here in Nitro Marketplace. I saw their booth and some girl was sitting and chatting with probably her boyfriend or whatever. I just stood there in front of the booth for good few minutes even though she saw me waiting before I finally managed her attention. I told her I never filed tax before and I don't know how to do this thinking that if I say I don't know much then she would give little more attention. Hah hah.. Man was I wrong. Knowing that I am naive and judging from my accent that I am not from here, she literally gave zero ** about my tax filing. Few minutes after I started there, one lady came and waiting on me and the girl from JH seemed she wanted to be done with me as soon as possible. She really did not spend much time on me. Finally she told me that I would get only $1600. I said, "Turbo tax is showing me $2000 why yours is less by so much?" She could not answer that.

MOREOVER, the main reason behind going there was to resolve my state refund issue. She simply said she cannot do that and asked to do it by myself online. I was so baffled. I did not know how to react. FINALLY, she told me I have to pay around $160 which she didn't tell me upfront. That time I felt so ashamed of myself that how much of a fool I am. Instead of filing tax in TurboTax for free and getting federal refund $2000 now ended up getting $1600, no state refund and spending $160 for that. She said I would get a call from her after 1 or 2 weeks and I have to wait for 21 days for my check.

I would slap my 2 days younger me for going there if I could go to the past. That's my story and I really hope this review helps someone losing their money. I am not here in this country for long but my suggestion is go for some online software. Also I forgot... Turbotax asked me about various expenses I had to pay for various reasons and I think that gives you some tax break. But that girl never asked me those questions. I just tried TurboTax but I think other online softwares are also good, at least better than JH. Peace.

No, I am not over exaggerating. For my 2013 tax return, THEIR tax preparer messed up my return causing me to receive more than I was suppose to back. Mind you, this was my very first time filing at 17 years old with my very first job. I did not know that she had messed up taxes until after I had already received my check, and spent it. Almost 2 weeks after that, I was contacted by the "manager" of the office that I went to. She explained to me that the preparer entered incorrect amounts and that my check was not accurate, and asked that I bring the check in. IT WAS LONG GONE. I told her this, she explained that it was fine and that I just needed to come in and sign some paperwork and that I would not owe the IRS as this was an issue brought on by the preparer being a thief.

Long story short, I now owe over 1500 to the IRS at 20 years old because I thought going to preparer was the BEST WAY to ensure that my taxes were done correctly. But, Jackson Hewitt will not pay back what THEY made me owe, but they will give me the $100 in interest. FREAKING RIDICULOUS!!! They did this not me, THEY SHOULD BE LIABLE!!! Do not go to Jackson Hewitt EVER!!!

First of all they do all this promotion about refund advance little to know you get caught up in a 200 advance and a 25 gift but it's only coming out your money too. The lady said I would get the rest when I bring my w2. That a lie. They didn't give nothing but 200. Where the rest of the 1300 dollar you advertised? Just all lies. Never again will I let them lie. False advertising just piss me off. You think people want to out in the cold behind 200 dollars? I could have done my own taxes and got back more. I really don't understand why tell people these things and then don't come through. Never again will I stoop that low. Not even a money back in 3 days. Nothing.

I went to Jackson Hewitt today at 3050 MLK Jr. Dr. in Atlanta, GA today to file. Not only was the location questionable but the company itself was worse. I saw Lead Preparer **... smh. A liar. I would have filed myself like I have been for the past few years but need a lump sum asap so decided to go elsewhere so that I may get an advance. She said I was qualified and approved. She activated my MasterCard and help me set up my PIN. She stated it takes a few minutes for the advance to hit the card. A few minutes pass then an hour passes. Still nothing. She then stated it can take up to 2 hours and she kept asking me if I received an email yet. I left and she said she would call me once it went through.

I received one email stating I was approved or pre-qualified for up to $1000. Then after hours pass and still no word from tax preparer, I called and asked for an update. She knew nothing and stated it could take up to 24 hours. Not to mention the $50 given just for having them file my taxes was not received on card either. An hour or so after that, I received an email stating I was denied for the advance! I was so disappointed and frustrated. I called her back and she stated she received the same info about the denial. I asked, "What's going on," and she stated she did not know and gave me a number to call. They are scam artists.

First off I went online to check about the post tax return by Jackson Hewitt. They tell you on their website to pre-qualify for the advance. You take the pre-qualification. The pre-qualify tells you that you are pre-qualified for $1300.00 to scam you to come into the office. That's where my story begins. I scheduled an appointment for Walmart to file my Schedule C self-employment. I go to Walmart for my appointment and they don't have anyone in that city to file them. They tell me I have to go to another city where someone who actually knows how to do them there. I spend $15 in gas going there. I get to Jackson Hewitt address 1711 Central Pkwy SW, Suite B Decatur AL 35601. I walk in and immediately feel like I made a huge mistake. Going against my better judgement. I continue to the secretary's desk to sign in.

Immediately she is being very rude, hateful and very judgmental and I feel like it has to do with racism for the way she was presenting herself toward me. The only ID I have is a Federally issued ID. She immediately has issues with it because it doesn't have an expiration date. So she informs me that I have to get a state issued ID in which was no problem. This was Saturday January 14, 2017. I return to the office on Monday January 16, 2017 to start my filing. Once again the hateful people was still acting the same way. The office only has 2 people in it and it still took them about an hour to get to me. When at last I get to the back to file the preparer leads on that I will be getting the advance of $1600. Knowing full well that it was a scam to get me to file so they can get my money.

Now take in mind I never file for advances on my taxes. But this year with the IRS not releasing anyone's refunds till February 23, 2017 I chose to spend a little bit more to get the $1300. After filing my taxes she states that I'm not really pre-approved for the advance yet. She informs me that the website is just an estimate based on last year's tax return which makes no sense. She states that MetaBank will make the decision. I don't get this information until after she gives me an American Express card. I am directed to go home and call within an hour and my money should be there or I would receive an email when it post. I receive an email telling me that I was denied and I can't reapply. I would receive a letter within 10 days explaining the reason or reasons why. I am also told that for having my taxes posted onto the card I would receive $50. So I register my card and check it and it says zero balance.

I make a call to the Jackson Hewitt corporate office looking for the reason why I have been denied and no $50 either. After being hung up on several times I finally get a supervisor on the phone. I explain to the supervisor that I feel like I was lied to and she gets rude and tells me that I have to call the Decatur office. I inform her that they were extremely rude and hateful and I was not going back period. I go into details explaining to her that I was lied to and I was not going to file with them. She tells me that my tax forms were electronically filed and the IRS has my papers and I have to use them. I immediately get pissed and tell her that I know that is a lie. I state to her that the IRS isn't taking tax returns until January 23, 2017 that I know that's a lie and she's full of **. Fortunately she hangs up on me. So I call again.

When I get the next operator she files a complaint and apologizes. She states that the office mgr will be contacting me tomorrow. I know Jackson Hewitt is a huge scam. They state online about the $50 added to card and guess what? To no avail no money. They are setting themselves up for a false advertisement lawsuit. They also charge you a bunch of hidden fees that they don't tell you about like - data and document storage assisted refund fees. Pls people save yourselves the drama and use another tax service. They are trying to charge me $399 for filing my taxes. Just as I told corporate I'm calling MetaBank and letting them know I will not be accepting any refund if it is filed by JH. I also told JH to Remove my taxes from their system and if they file I will sue them.

I was told that I signed the contract but it was signed under false pretenses and I'm not paying them anything and if they file them the next time a call comes to them from my end it will be my attorney with a class action lawsuit. This will be the very last time I ever go to JH. I'll post my results tomorrow on if they cancel or if I'm filing a suit. Stay tuned because I'm bringing hell down on JH. If anyone has the same issue or similar one I suggest you fight back. They will continue to screw people as long as we allow it. We need to put an end to that. If they can't conduct business the correct way they need to close their doors forever. I will be filing a complaint with the IRS, BBB, etc tomorrow.

I recommend no one go to Jackson Hewitt. They are a joke. Their employees don't know how to do their job. Make promises they don't keep. All their advertising is a lie. I have been waiting 24 hrs for my advance refund and then they call to tell me I have to come in and redo a part that I specifically asked about when I was in the first time. Now they say they don't know if I qualify for advance. It's all a big joke and a scam. They should close their doors never to open again.

Jackson Hewitt is the worst place you could ever go to have your taxes done period. They lie and promise things that they cannot deliver on and very rude workers at the call center - I was approved yesterday for a 200 advance but today I was denied. Their system is just a gimmick and do not believe what you hear/Read from this company. Horrible horrible experience and would never recommend them to nobody ever!!

Ohio area here. First off, there's absolutely no privacy in this office at all. Granted, this is one particular location out of thousands. However, it was an office location inside a strip mall, something that I thought would provide more privacy than inside a Walmart store, which is half of their locations. Good branding would mean that most locations are structured similarly. So either they don't have a consistent brand and you may find a location in your area that provides a higher degree of privacy, or beware that you may also encounter this privacy issue at the location you are thinking of visiting. Also note that inconsistent branding can lead to other issues on the backend or be a result of deeper issues within the company.

I was skeptical as soon as I walked in. Anyone sitting in the building could hear everything anyone else was saying. Someone could easily be writing down your social security number and other info. With the increasing rates of fraud and identity theft, this is definitely something to be concerned about. I've always done my taxes myself, as mine are usually pretty simple.

I usually use H&R Block online and have used both the free service as well as the upgraded program for a fee of less than $100. Due to some financial hardships I've endured recently, and knowing that the IRS will be holding my refund until at least Feb 15th because I'm claiming the EIC and additional child tax credit, I decided to explore my options. I went into JH to apply for the refund advance up to $1,300. There is an online application to get pre-approved, which I went ahead and filled out before making my appointment.

I asked about fees right upfront when I sat down. Even though it says the advance is 0% APR and no fees, having my taxes done in the office for a higher fee solely for the advance does make it an extra cost for me, so I needed to weigh all the factors. I didn't want to waste her time or my own if the fees weren't cost effective for my situation. This is when she became very defensive and then rude and unprofessional.

I understand needing a price range, as I assume the fees are partly associated on number of forms filed. I came in with a W2 and very basic info for a schedule C. I knew this would increase my cost, going into a business category. I also hoped that since it was probably the most basic schedule C, it wouldn't be too much extra in cost. Filing the schedule C is why I've paid fees with online filing services in the past.

I have a very small crafting business. Small as in only made $3k last year, just me and my sewing machine. One income category, with annual total clearly marked, and two expense categories, with annual total clearly marked. Net/loss clearly shown at the bottom. I didn't come here for judgement. I expect my tax professional to properly do my taxes as give me helpful tax tips. If I want someone to judge my finances, I'll get a financial advisor. Then they can judge all they want in order to direct me specifically with my entire life weighted into their factors.

I look young but at 31, I am surely an adult with enough time and experience to have developed a small business for myself. She made several assumptions based off my appearance. She assumed I had no children, and asked me about my business in a condescending tone. I had told her I had 2 children several times and she kept making comments about "one kid." She made me feel as if she was implying I had falsified a business as well. She asked me what I "could possibly spend $5,000 on for supplies?" I'm a crafting business. Crafts require materials, which cost money. I responded by listing items "Fabric, thread, yarn, needles..." I could see her pause for second, as if she realized how naive the question was and the conversation was starting to sink in.

My supply costs were high for my business but this person clearly has no business background. I still made money. She doesn't know if I spent 10 hours or 1,000 hours to make that amount. I didn't spend 5 MILLION. It's not an outrageous number for a small business. I was very put off just by her initial questioning in rebuttal to my fee inquiry. Some of her questioning was indeed necessary to get a price range. However, many questions were unwarranted and came across as extremely judgemental. I never even got a definitive price range.

The base price was $350. She made it seem that was the base price without the schedule C though. She advised me that she "just did one with for another family with several kids who also got the advance card" and their rate was over $350, but wouldn't say how much exactly. The way she stated it, it seemed there WAS a fee associated with getting the card itself to receive the advance on. At this point I knew I wasn't going to stay so I didn't ask any more questions regarding the fee associated with the advance or the card. I asked once more for a rate and she said "$350 to 400, $500... $600 to $700... I just don't know."

As I previously stated, I'm sure that part of the cost is based upon the number of forms required. The tax "professional" implied this today as well. So in that regard I can understand that having more children requires more forms, especially for each earned income credit claimed (which is a separate form just in case you weren't aware). At the same time, she's not doing this with pencil and paper. She's not even filling every form out line by line. The computer program formats it all. So I believe this is a huge part of the scam to raise their rates.

Hourly cost would be more clay effective to consumers, but they know those extra forms only take a couple extra minutes. They also know they can't break it down hourly because then the employees would get upset seeing the breakdown, knowing they're paid pennies to those dollars. They don't want such a detailed breakdown of allocated funds for the service. Seems highly deceitful.

I had a "$50 off $150+ tax preparation services" coupon that she said she "wouldn't" use. I asked if she wouldn't or couldn't use it and she gave me a dirty look and said it's not accepted. Not sure if anyone else could use this coupon or not. Retail me not had a 28% success rate reported for the coupon. I didn't respond since I feel my situation was based off personal factors and not the validity of the coupon.

I was very put off by my entire experience and will not be going back or using any of their products. Unless you have a complicated return or larger business, I wouldn't recommend using a tax office for your tax preperation needs. I completely understand working your butt off and falling short on cash at times, especially around the holidays. It's frustrating and hard to manage finances. As I was also trying to get the advance, I completely understanding having to weigh all the costs.

I urge you, PLEASE consider everything and make sure you know exactly what you're getting yourself into. I felt since JH couldn't be upfront with all their fees, that there may be hidden fees and fees at high rates. It was too risky for me, especially after knowing the base price. Online programs these days are pretty easy to use. With a small fee you can receive added imports of information and extra questions to help guide you through every step. The fees are a lot lower than the office fees.

I understand that in the office you're also paying that person for their time. The lady today reminded me of this, although I could barely hear her up there on her high horse. If you're willing to pay someone for their time though, make sure it's something you can't do yourself, and make sure the person you're going to pay is qualified for the job. Many tax offices employ people who have training but not a degree. Is someone without a degree, walking through basically the same steps on their modified system that you'd be doing with an online system of a similar caliber, really qualified to make over $100 an hour? Personally, I don't think so. I think it's a huge scam by all major tax preparation companies in our country. They feed off the low income and people's hardships.

For me, the late fees I would incur from the specific bills I needed the advance for becoming late without the advance, was significantly lower than $350. Nothing was getting disconnected at the time so having to wait some time and pay the late fees over the filing fee was a better option in the long run for me. You'll have to weigh your own situation to see if it's worth it for you. However, I'd strongly advise looking into another company besides Jackson Hewitt.

What do the Jackson Hewitt at my local Walmart with the intentions of getting the first time customer $200 advance ask every question I could about it the tax preparer 4 Jackson Hewitt assured me I would get $200 put on this American Express card that they provided within the hour... To make a long story short I was informed the next day by MetaBank that I was not approved even though the website that I found online while researching tax preparers says that there would be no credit check. They just did that so they could keep $190 they charged for doing my taxes. Had an unexpected expense that was the only reason that I went there. They are a very misleading company with no good intentions. I will be exercising my option to not have them not submit or have them tax preparer ever again. Beware of this company. They care not about the consumer.

My 2015 taxes when they finished I came home looked over them and noticed they left my house tax and interest out (I was suppose receive $2k and $1k from another.) When I got home I noticed they left off tax and interest from my 2nd home. I contacted them and they made an amendment and I ended up getting $188.00. I went back they said they made a mistake and done NOTHING AT ALL ABOUT IT. I will have H&R Block amend them. JACKSON HEWITT IS WORTHLESS.

I don't understand how you can pay $2,000 into taxes and Jackson Hewitt says you're only getting $400 back. Doesn't add up. So I can't get the express refund because supposedly I'm only getting $400. I have to get over $500 back which isn't true according to HR block that I'm only getting $400 back. My boyfriend got the advance of $500 but will only get $200 now and $300 later when bring w-2 in. How does that make sense?! I'm doing the advance because I need money now! Not later. They will try to make you lose money and I would never recommend this place to ANYONE! Horrible business.

Expert Review

Melissa Hincha-OwnbyTax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.    More about Melissa→

Jackson Hewitt started out as an in-person only tax service provider, but in 2010 the company expanded with the launch of Jackson Hewitt Online. The online tax software service is aimed at those taxpayers that are comfortable preparing and filing taxes themselves, which introduced the Jackson Hewitt brand to a new market.

• In-person option: Jackson Hewitt offers both online and in-person tax preparation services.
  • Expanded online support: All Jackson Hewitt online packages come with free unlimited live chat support.
  • Great price for freelancers: The Premium package, which is designed for 1099 contract employees and freelancers, is priced significantly lower than some competitors.
  • Phone support: Phone support is available with the premium package.
  • Website: The JacksonHewittOnline.com website is very basic.
  • Best for Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals