3.34/5

1297 Jackson Hewitt Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I've used them before and like everyone else I went in for the advance. At first I was approved for two hundred dollars then when I got my W-2 I was approved for twenty-five hundred. Great. I received it but I've received several letters from Metabank saying my return isn't complete. I've called the office and was assured it is nothing. I'm hoping they are correct. Now I'm waiting on the call that says they can do my state taxes because right now they don't have the software. IDK what that's all about but they need to hurry up and get it. I want to be done with this tax season already. Mark assured me that he would call me back when it's time but I've never had to do or pay for my state and federal separate. I don't like the back and forth.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I went in to file my taxes with Jackson Hewitt on January 26th, 2019. Typically I have a very easy return with only one w2, 3 dependents and school loan information, so I have historically used TurboTax. This year we have a vacation coming up next month and I saw their ad online about filing your taxes with them and getting an advance. I did their pre-qualification and I qualified for a $2,500 advance with 0% interest. I made my appointment and did my taxes with Dave at a Phoenix Walmart location. He did my taxes fairly quickly and efficiently. He issued me an American Express card and explain that once my return was accepted then the banquet would review and approve my advance.

It was only when I went home that I started to read these awful reviews and I got a sick feeling in my stomach. My credit is not great and I was under the impression that this advance had nothing to do with credit but more to do with your return amount. I worried that I had just spent nearly $500 paying someone to file my very simple return just to have to wait for the IRS to issue a check anyway. I was pleasantly surprised to receive an email from the bank and from Jackson Hewitt today January 28th with my official approval and my American Express card was loaded immediately with my advance. It was a two-day turn around even though it was on a weekend that I filed so I have zero to complain about. I only gave four stars because of the cost of filing such a simple return otherwise they would have received 5 stars.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I was at Jackson Hewitt on Dec 19th. Had a nice experience. Before I could leave my seat was approved for the advance without an, "Email or text Ms **." Very pleasant person, patient and caring Ms **, Ms ** also Ms **. 3815 eastern ave. Try this place. A lot more positive energy and welcoming women.

Original review: June 15, 2019

1st and last experience with Jackson Hewitt. Worst Experience ever and poor Customer Service.Their fees are Outrageous but I thought being a bigger name they ought to be good. So being a single mom tight on money I still spent the $400. Patiently waited 3 MONTHS and hadn't received or heard anything about my taxes. So I decided to finally call the office that I filed at AFTER calling the State 1st and being told they had No record of it. Princeton, MN office 300 21st Ave Princeton, MN THEN tells me well you're suppose to fill out a form along with your taxes and send them in?

1st off I was NEVER NOT once given a "form" along with my paperwork that they supposedly filed and NEVER was I ever told I needed to send or do ANYTHING for that matter. Secondly so WTF did I pay $400 for then if I have to do it myself? When I could've just filed it myself then for FREE. I paid the fee so I could have the convenience of not having the hassle of having to do it being a single mom and my busy schedule. I was then told I could NOT speak to a Supervisor and to just leave a msg and that they do NOT give back any sort of reimbursement for any of the fees I paid. Very rude lady, completely unsympathetic and could care less. Very unprofessional. I most certainly will not be returning and I will be sure to share my story with anyone that I come across and will not be recommending this business to any of my business friends or friends/family.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 3, 2019

Omg!! Save your money and NEVER go to Jackson Hewitt!! Jean from Jackson Hewitt on Deerfield Rd in Orlando was my tax preparer. This woman lied to me and said Jackson Hewitt would refund my fee just to get my business. She messed up my tax return then lied and said "don't worry my manager has approved for us to refund your fee $150." Now, the building closed and everyone at Jackson Hewitt swears they don't know what I am taking about!! Bad business and liars!! Somebody needs to go to jail for lying to customers!! Do yourself a favor and go to H&R block!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jackson Hewitt?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 27, 2019

This is the first time my husband and I have ever used Jackson Hewitt and it will be the last. First the lady lost my husband's social security card. Then a week later called to tell us it was in their desk drawer. Since it was out first time we were offered 100 off preparation and 100 gift card through email. Never got the email gift card. Then they came back and said we had to fill out fraud papers cause someone used my 9 yr old social. Then they had to mail in our taxes. Still have received our state taxes and we filed in March. Called to ask about the gift card that was promised and they said, "Well since you had to mail in your return we can’t offer you that." Was never told about that. This company is the worst. WILL NEVER USE THEM AGAIN!!!!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 14, 2019

The preparer was not qualified. Too frequently, her response was, "Have to check with my supervisor". I knew about filing taxes than she did. Trying to build a relationship for the future. She was not familiar with the taxable wage brackets, did not know about filing online vs paper copies, had me do both unnecessarily. When I complained the company did not seem to care.

Original review: May 11, 2019

After two months help filing my taxes I could not get a hold of anybody. All the stores are closed. I had to deal with the IRS. Got a call from the IRS. There's no sense in dealing with these scammers when you have to deal with the IRS yourself then. The stores are only open here in my town one store one day a week for about 4 hours so hopefully the employees not sick then you'll have to wait a week for your check like I was going to have to do. The worst tax preparing Company by far in the nation. I will never do business with these scammers again!!!

Original review: May 9, 2019

I am a first time user of Jackson Hewitt and I will never use them again. I have never received my Walmart e-gift card for being a Walmart employee. I have been calling talking to escalation who has been no help. They now said I’m a loser because the gift card is in my email and it is not there. I checked my inbox, spam trash, junk, everything, it is not there. I never got the $100 for switching from a different company. I will never use them and I hope none of you will use them too. They are full of empty promises when they advertise. You are the worst company ever...

Original review: May 5, 2019

I filed my taxes on February 2018.. Got my state refund with no problems even though my name was misspelled. Received a letter from the IRS. Went a few days ago to verify my identity.. No luck. Went back and picked up my 1040 form. Lady wouldn't even type my name correctly. Now I have to go back to IRS in two months for the same problem.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Worst experience I’ve had in my life...waited for almost three hours to be seen. Finally sat down. She reviewed my taxes, eating a banana and pulling food out of her mouth cause she didn’t like the texture...disgusting, it’s just me and my husband filing nothing complex whatsoever, both have W-2's. Took her two hours to complete while she answered the phone and helped others. Charged me out the ** to file. I will never ever go back to the awful company. She told me I would have been charged way more at H&R Block to file. My parents own their own business with stacks of papers and receipts and take their taxes to an actual CPA. Get charged the same amount. I was charged for three W-2’s. I knew I wasn’t going to get much back this year but now I’ve broken even because of the god awful filing price. Terrible service, terrible everything!!!

Original review: April 13, 2019

This was my first time filing my taxes with Jackson Hewitt inside of Walmart. I’ve had to come three times, and each time it seems like the ladies did not know what to do. I’m sitting here waiting on my third appointment. My appointment time was 1:00 and I’m just now getting seen at 1:32pm no apologies.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I made an appointment to have my taxes done for a second year in a row and had an awful experience. The fees are outrageous and I sat there for a full three hours waiting and left having paid but now I have to go back next week to another location 45 minutes away because they were not able to resolve their issues and print out the papers to sign. The agent seemed engaged and personable, but there was no help or support from corporate when needed. The supervisor went to lunch while I was sitting there waiting for something to happen.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I filed tax return with JH. The person who did it for me try to do the least he could. He did not check all the number and made a lot of mistakes. He was so careless and irresponsible. Although he work for JH, I had to help him with tax filing because he does not know enough about taxes. Their service is very poor and irresponsible. All they want is my money, that's it. They made a lot of mistakes and gave me troubles with IRS. I am so unhappy with them. PLEASE DO NOT USE THEIR SERVICE.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I went to Jackson Hewitt on February 2, 2019 and had my taxes done and the still waiting to get them back the person that did my taxes forgot to add in my 1095 form. So to make a long story short I will not be returning to Jackson Hewitt next year they really don’t care about what you have experienced or been through because I called home office and no one never called me back or did anything. It doesn’t make any sense they charge you so much but want refund the money when they mess up your taxes.

Original review: March 30, 2019

We have had our taxes done yearly by JH since 2012. This year, 2019, we are still waiting to receive our refund after receiving a letter from the IRS that our taxes were prepared incorrectly taxing us $433 a year rather than the correct amount of $216. So, over the years, we have overpaid over $1400 because of JH mistake! I contacted JH to amend the last 3 years returns to at least recover $600 of the $1400 they’ve managed to screw us out of. After the manager having a power trip know it all attitude, I was hung up on. We are now going to have someone else amend them and we will NEVER again use JH and will be sure to let everyone know the quality, or should I say the lack of quality we received and the irreversible mistakes that cost us hundreds of dollars!

Original review: March 27, 2019

We had our taxes done the year before by Jackson Hewitt and decided to have them prepare our taxes again for 2018. We are so sorry we did not look up any of their reviews. The young lady doing my taxes (Jennifer **) said she's new but if any problems arise her boss is there to guide her. An hour later in preparing my taxes Jennifer quoted, "You Owe $67,000 for 2018." I said WHAT!!! She then called her boss (Cindy) to come and review this amount. Jennifer agreed this sounds like too much and needed her boss to correct any mistakes made. Her boss told us she's been doing taxes over forty years and operates other offices. Another twenty minutes and Cindy found a $2,000 error which now shows I owe $65,000. I said this cannot be accurate. Cindy then said "I Wouldn't Lie To You. I know What I'm Doing."

We went home, couldn't even sleep that night due to the stress of what they said we owed. The following day we contacted an I.R.S. attorney which cost us $2,150 to research this problem. After preparing my taxes the amount came to $1,589.00 owing to the I.R.S for 2018. How can a tax firm (Jackson Hewitt) be off $63,411.00? And be so arrogant?

Original review: March 22, 2019

First of all I have been with these people for 20 years. Every year the price to do my taxes has gone up. Right now it almost 500 dollars to filed my taxes in January. The 29th to be exact. It's March. They filed my state taxes which I haven't gotten yet. They said 5 to 7 weeks so I called on today and I have to go get a freaking print out and send it my self. Why they did do that at first? I will never do business with these people ever again. Bad business I say. I should get at least some of my fees back.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I filed my taxes with JH on February 5, 2019. This is my second year filing with them and I got completely screwed by them. I was charged way more this year to file my taxes with them. They charged me 624.00 to file one W-2 with a dependent. I had the same amount of info as last year and was charged way less in 2018. The tax preparer didn’t explain to me why I was being left with 83.00 after filing with them. She made it seem like it was the IRS that found that amount correct for me. I didn’t work very much in 2018 but it still didn’t make sense as to why I was only receiving 83.00.

I went home and looked online and saw the full amount I was suppose to be getting. I complained and complained and wrote JH on FB trying to get someone to explain their fees to me. No one could. Finally they agreed to let me file a second W-2 for free. At this point I was dealing with the GM of JH. LaTonya was her name. She was extremely unprofessional. She told me I could email her my W-2 form and she would file it for me. I did and didn’t hear anything back. I emailed her to see if she received my information, no response. I called her office and they told she would call me back. She never did. That went on for an additional two weeks after me emailing her.

I called the customer service line again and complained AGAIN on how poor the customer service was. LaTonya finally called back and I missed her call. That was on a Friday. I called that Monday and she wouldn’t even get on the phone. She had one of her employees tell me the amount I would be receiving. She was very quick and treated the situation like I was bothering them. I won’t be returning to them. Not only did the overcharge me and could never tell me why it cost me that much but the customer service is deplorable!

Original review: March 19, 2019

I’m only giving one star because zero star is not available. I would never recommend this company for tax preparation. They charged me over $100 more this year over last year which was still overpriced and I had the same exact information only different amounts. When I asked to reconsider my fee, the only option they gave me was for a $50 coupon for my taxes next year. Was basically told to go ** myself. Kept sending me back to the local office and wouldn’t allow me to speak with anyone outside of that office.

I told them I would never be back and the coupon was a joke. I have a basic return of W2 and K1 and was charged $375, almost half of my return. Then they didn’t even give me copies of my return. Not only that but when they couldn’t figure out my state return because of the K1, they said we will just inflate your income which will raise the amount you owe to cover it because they didn’t want to spend the time to fix the forms. This place is a money-stealing joke!!! Go elsewhere.

Original review: March 19, 2019

These folks promise gift cards, try and collect one of them! Rotten folks and let me put it this way, do it yourself and prevent an ulcer!! JMO on these folks!! Family members as well have had horrific experiences with these folks. Why did a discount store chain allow them to set up shop in their stores? P.S. They wash their hands of the mess!

Original review: March 19, 2019

I went to have my taxes done for 2018. I was charged $575.00. They did not send W2 and I end up having to send them after waiting a month and half. Also I am still waiting on my taxes. Do not file with them. Go to free place or anywhere else. Please please do not go there. I am about contact my local channel news because this is too much. About be 2 months. Still no movement on my taxes. Keep saying not complete. Every worker there should be hold on crime charges for playing with IRS, state, and personal info.

Original review: March 18, 2019

On Feb 6, 2019 I had my taxes done at Jackson Hewitt. They asked for a check routing number. The next day my account was debited the amount of the tax prep fee ($375). Six weeks later lo and behold, my account is debited once again by Jackson Hewitt for $375. When I contacted them, they said the money would be returned to my account but five days later, I'm still waiting. It is just criminal what they can get away with. Not only do they charge more than lawyers charge per hour, they bill you twice.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 15, 2019

I pay them over 600 dollars to do my taxes and I was 2 years getting my 2015 state refund and now I'm just learning that after being charged over 600 this year I have to go to the Jackson Hewitt office get copies of my W-2 form and send it to the IRS myself because it was not sent by my professional tax people that I paid a very large amount of money to for tax service and I will have to do this myself and wait another month and was not refunded any of my money back or even a simple apology...that is ** but they get away with it and I know not the only one who has been through this before with Jackson Hewitt.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I have used Jackson Hewitt 2 years in a row and both times the tax preparer did not pay attention to my wishes and it has caused me to wait three times longer to receive any money. When I call to ask questions the preparers have been rude and short trying to hurry me off the phone. This will be my last year using them.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I have been given a runaround with them since doing taxes with them on January 28th. Told the lady that was preparing my taxes that I had the market place insurance. She said okay. A month passed then I got a letter from the IRS stating I needed to submit two forms since I had the marketplace insurance. The forms were submitted and had to wait three extra weeks to get my refund because the tax preparer failed to tell me that I needed those forms. Then they closed my Amex Serve card the day I got my state refund apparently due to fraud, but then I found out they took my state refund to say refund advance fees.

Never before had fees come out of state refund only federal. So now that the IRS had sent my refund and since my card was closed the money is being flipped to a paper check. Now I have to wait a few days to receive the check. NEVER again will I uses them. Most frustrating experience ever and I don't know how they are still in business. With all these bad reviews THEY should be reviewed as a company.

Original review: March 11, 2019

While the man who prepared our taxes was pleasant, I was shocked at the final cost of over $350. We waited for over a month and received a letter from the IRS that certain forms had not been provided, which held up our Federal refund even longer. I couldn't help but wonder how forms were forgotten when we had a professional file for us? I had always filed my own in the past with no problems, but the one year I hire someone problems abound. Our refund was also $300 less than the expected amount although the reason has yet to be explained. I know it wasn't the cost of tax prep because the state refund had been issued and money was taken. When we asked JH about why this happened, he simply replied: "I can't give you an answer." Needless to say, we will be doing our own taxes in the future.

Original review: March 8, 2019

We've been getting our taxes done thru Jackson Hewitt going on 13 straight years now & until this year never really had any problems with them but after this last experience we've just had this time we definitely won't ever be coming back. Not only did the lady preparing our taxes this year have absolutely NO clue what she was doing she also screwed us out of getting the 1 thing we use them for which is the rapid cash refund. This lady had NO clue what she was doing like we were just absolutely blown away with the amount of knowledge this woman didn't know...

She actually kept asking us what things meant (like certain abbreviations, etc.). Then legit couldn't even answer pretty much not 1 question we asked her making me having 2 repeatedly keep flagging down the other tax preparer last for the answers to EVERYTHING!! She just kept making so many mistakes throughout our appt making it insanely obvious she absolutely no clue what she was doing!! Like putting my children down as being abled to be claimed by others which they are not... Then just repeatedly kept entering all sorts of other information wrongly as well making this appt this time around 10 million times longer than any other year we've gone 2 them...

But then if all that jazz wasn't already bad enough to add insult to injury at the very end also somehow ends up completely screwing us out of the 1 thing we ever bothered even coming back for every year thus far which is THE RAPID SAME DAY CASH REFUND THING WE DO EVERY YEAR!!! Now if hearing all that wasn't absolutely already horrifying enough well it gets better...

After sharing everything that had happened throughout our Appt, like all the mistakes, as well as the absolute lack of knowledge this preparer had, & etc. The Mt Pocono Office Site Manager (Mrs. Linda **, EA) promises to give us a complete refund for the entire amount of their preparation fees which was give or take like $600+ dollars that they have the flipping berries to even be charging people in the 1st place given said services not only decides she's just gonna blow us off for the next almost 25 days even after umpteen repeated calls were made on our end just trying to resolve our particular matter all in hopes of the possibility of still continuing tax services w/ them but still day after day we heard NOTHING back... She kept saying, "Oh I haven't heard anything back yet from corporate" then would promise to call with answers by the end of that particular business day but surprise, surprise she NEVER did!

So after giving her well over an entire month to find answers on this "refund" she promised we decided to give her at least 1 more try to make this right because I mean my husband & I are not jerks & we def understand that people do get busy & things do happen so we decided to stop in 1 more time 2 days ago to see what we can find out but she was so rude to us I couldn't even believe it so finally we had enough & asked her if we could just have the nine for this person she claims she's been calling or at least her boss's name, & number being how everything at this point has just gotten like way beyond the point of ridiculousness & it's just absolutely unacceptable at this point & she looked me square in the eye & flat out told me No!!!

And as she actually sat there actually smirking & rolling her eyes at me had the nerve to then proceed to tell me that getting her bosses # wouldn't ever, EVER happen proceeding to say in the most cockiest way that she is her own boss & she will call when she calls!!! Like whaaat?!? Seriously Who acts like this??! I'm telling you save your time, money & sanity & just go some place else or better yet just do your own taxes cause I'm telling you this place has turned into your absolute nightmare! And after after 13 loyal years of coming back year after year along with all of our many friends & family we've sent their way will no longer use these guys ever again!!! After all this we are without a doubt beyond done!!!

Original review: March 7, 2019

We had gone to Jackson Hewitt for the first time this year. We usually go to H&R Block or would have a family friend do them for us but this time we thought we would try something different, mostly for the advanced payment that wasn't supposed to have cost a dime. First of all we didn't get the advanced refund we paid fifty dollars for them to tell us no and one week because the Jackson Hewitt lady doing our taxes got a social wrong. She had mixed up 2 numbers. They had not called us to fix the situation... Not once. So there's a week, after it was fixed and put in right an hour later they said we had not qualified. Every single time we had went to our previous place we had qualified because we always have gotten at least 8000.00 back. So that was 50 bucks down the drain plus the 575.00 they cost to do a ** job and slower return that I have ever had. And they do this automatically so that fifty is going to be taken.

We did not get the 200.00 for switching either. Then the card they gave us finally received money on it over the 20 days plus the week because of their mistake. We had used the card a couple times and my husband accidentally put in a wrong pin once... They locked it down, but not that same day four days later. Also locking us out of the account login. After we had called to fix it we had to call again because she did not unlock the account on the site. Calling them was a huge hassle. It would take over an hour wait every time.

We made yet another call because we had not yet received the personalized card and it had been at least 20 days. They said we had never called in to get one at all which was a lie. But we had only called to ask how long it was supposed to take. That was the only question we could get out but was not answered whatsoever because they DO NOT LISTEN to your problem. They had informed us they would have to send it now. Two days later we got a card in the mail. Card was useless because they had sent a replacement now after we had tried explaining we only wanted to know how long and we had indeed called the day of the taxes to get this done. We had only wanted to make sure the address was right and get a timeline.

So now we have two cards that we cannot use. Finally got one to work and unblocked with days of time consuming calls. WE STILL now have to wait ten more days for the replacement card that we "had not put in for the first time." This took 20 days. The first time they said 7-10 days. This was the absolute WORST experience ever. I will never go back EVER!!! And I am not usually a complainer.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Only 1 star because I was forced. They totally made a mess of my taxes. It is virtually impossible to get anyone to correct it after tax season is over because all offices have closed. It was then when I was notified by SCDOR and NCDOR. I ended having to pay over $200 interest because of Their mistake. They refuse to stand behind their guarantee.

Jackson Hewitt expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

Jackson Hewitt started out as an in-person only tax service provider, but in 2010 the company expanded with the launch of Jackson Hewitt Online. The online tax software service is aimed at those taxpayers that are comfortable preparing and filing taxes themselves, which introduced the Jackson Hewitt brand to a new market.

• In-person option: Jackson Hewitt offers both online and in-person tax preparation services.

• Expanded online support: All Jackson Hewitt online packages come with free unlimited live chat support.

• Great price for freelancers: The Premium package, which is designed for 1099 contract employees and freelancers, is priced significantly lower than some competitors.

• Phone support: Phone support is available with the premium package.

• Website: The JacksonHewittOnline.com website is very basic.

• Best for: Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

Jackson Hewitt Company Information