1.25/5
Based on 114 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Jackson Hewitt

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 18, 2018

1104 Jackson Hewitt Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I used Jackson Hewitt for my first and last time they charged more 407.00 to file my taxes and then the bank denied me and I still got charged for it. And on top of that she told me that I'm getting a paper check sent to me. I have filed my taxes with Turbo Tax for the last 3 yr and I have never had any problems. So I will be using Turbo Tax again next yr or H&R Block. And I even e-filed and still don't get my refund until Feb. 22nd and I filed the 8th of Feb. They are crooks and they don't explain anything to you. So people beware of Jackson Hewitt because they will scam the hell out of you. JS! Be careful and ask questions about everything and read the fine print. Trust me. I was supposed to get 4275 back and now I'm getting 3868 so you tell me. I guess I should have been more aware of my situation but I know now and it won't ever happen again. TRUST ME. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

After using JH for more than 10 years, filing the standard deductions, for my 2015 return the preparer said I should itemize my return. I said several times that I do not itemize, and have any receipts or documentation. She said that I would not need it. Well, I agreed and signed all paperwork given. I thought I could trust the so-called professional. I was then audited for this return. After contacting JH about this, I was given a huge runaround and then told that I "signed the papers, so I am responsible". I told the preparer several times that I only file standard. It was only due to her advice that I itemize as she assured me several times I would not need any further documentation. And now JH will not accept that their employee caused me this issue. I will never use JH again and I urge everyone else to not use them also.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I thought I would try Jackson Hewitt again after not using them for a while. Big mistake. First off the man who has the local franchise makes preparers go home if there are no customers which means that there is only one preparer in the office most days DURING TAX SEASON! I had my taxes started by one person but we had to put the return on hold because I had an incorrect form. She told me that all the prepares have years of experience so I could come back any time to finish my return without an appointment. Again, big mistake. The woman I went to the following week could not even use the lockbox keypad to get into the office. Anyway, as simple as it seemed to me to have her finish the return it took her 2 hours to work it out and she still didn't know what to do with the 1099B.

I did try to leave several times but was uncomfortable that she would mess up the sections of the return that had already been completed. And, she had to call the manager several times during my appointment to find out where certain sections where on her screen. I finally left. I went back a third time, had a 4:00 pm appointment - one preparer and 2 families ahead of me... At 6:00 pm I finally got to sit with the preparer to finish my return. Unbelievable! He fumbled around and didn't give me a form I requested - told me to come back another day for the local tax form. I said he better get it sorted because I was not coming back. He called the manager several times to ask basic questions he should have known the answers to if he really knew his job.

I didn't feel confident at all that my taxes were correct so I asked a few questions but didn't get a good feeling about the responses. Then he asked how I wanted to pay for the service before he even told me what the refund was going to be. He told me the fee was $450.00. I told him that was outrageous and demanded a discount which he reluctantly gave me after he called the manager again. I paid, he pushed some papers around the desk, put some in an envelope and handed it to me. I was so annoyed after having waited 2 hours I walked out and decided to review the 1040 when I got home. Well, when I got home there was no 1040 in the envelope. Just some papers about how to plan for retirement etc. I was furious, but, he never explained that I could print the document myself from their website (had to do my own research to find out that information).

FOR THE PRICE I WAS CHARGED THEY SHOULD HAVE PRINTED OUT THE 1040 FOR ME IN THE OFFICE. And, I never did get the local tax form, had to get it from another source. It was such an awful experience having to go back twice after the first visit to deal with totally incompetent people. There was a great deal more that added to my frustration that I will leave out of this review. I will not EVER go back to Jackson Hewitt and I would hope that other people read these reviews/complaints before they venture into a Jackson Hewitt to get ripped off.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

So for the last ten plus years I have filed my own taxes this year I however decided to use Jackson Hewitt after a friend recommended them since you can get the express refund advance. I myself was against this from the start because I know it’s usually just too costly but we really needed the money sooner this year so we decided to give it a whirl! Well that turned out to be a huge mistake!!!

We made our appointment and the lady told us that the amount you get is based upon your tax return amount so we assumed (which yes you should never do) we would get the 3,200 back without a problem since with our state and feds we get about 4,800 back. Well that surely wasn't the case!! We did all the paperwork. Never once was any of the details that is in the paperwork ever gone over with us in person! She prepared our taxes and then gave us the grand total of 380.95 to prepare our taxes and apply for the loan. So we decided I guess it would be fine to lose the extra 280.00 to get some money a bit faster since I know everybody needs to make something I get that...

Anyway she said well you guys sign the form which is on a little electronic pad so we both sign and then all of a sudden she starts sending our signature to all these others forms that we were never shown or were they gone over with us about she said was just the stuff about the loan information and tax stuff. We never thought much about any of it. The lady gave us our paperwork and gave us the American Express card to activate which is where in a few hours 2-4 she said you will get your money. She told us we would get a text when the money funded well many hours later still no text as stated so I decided to call my card. Well my shock when I called the card and the money was there a whopping 500.00.

I was shocked to say the least as this was not what I expected. So my husband called the lady who prepared our taxes pretty upset and asked what’s up with the amount. You said it was based on the amount we were getting back in taxes and said she didn't see any problem with us getting the whole 3200. She said she was very surprised and didn't know why it was that way so she gave us a number to call corporate and talk with them and make a complaint. Well they weren't helpful at all and gave us another number to call then we talked with a lady and filed a complaint with her. Told her how dissatisfied we were with this process and how that they never went over any of the details with us in person. We felt as if we were scammed! Why on earth would we pay 380.95 to only get back 500.00. Makes no sense why would we do that?!?

Well as my husband was speaking with this lady I was reading all the paperwork that came in our tax folder from the lady that she printed off for us and electronically transferred our signatures without going over this paperwork and there I read the “fine" print and there is where it states when you apply to get the up to 3200 loan you may only get 100, 200, 500, 750, 1300, or max amount of 3200!! Not once during this tax preparation was this explained to us or gone over which is totally why we felt scammed! Which hence why my husband was filing a complaint. This was on Jan 26th and we were told we would have a call back from a "higher up" within 24 to 48 hrs!

Well today is Feb. 16th and we are still waiting on this call... Lol you keep waiting because they don't care if they follow up or not all they want is your money!! More like scam. You outta your money!! Fast forward back to today’s date Feb.16th so I see my state income tax was sent to us on the 15th of Feb. according to the state site so I call the tax office once again to see why the money wasn't funded to our card and she said she didn't know she would make a call and find out.

Well when we originally filed our taxes we were told the money to pay the tax fee and the loan money would come out of our federal money so that's what we expected. Well wrong!! The tax lady did call us back and tell us they the money funded on the 14th of Feb. according to Jackson Hewitt (which was not the same as the state site hmm... odd) and they took our state money to pay the loan back which would have been fine if they at least we're honest and told you that upfront!!

I'm am so extremely dissatisfied and feel as if we have been scammed!! They should have to tell you all this upfront which they don't and that's very unprofessional in my mind and feel as if they are purposely not telling you this or training their staff properly! I feel bad as the lady who prepared our taxes was very nice but now they have to deal with people like us because they aren't trained properly to explain this stuff or perhaps they don't want to tell this because they would lose out on a lot of money! I would have been better off to file my own like I always have and it would have saved myself the extra money!

When speaking with the lady today she said she was glad we called because they had no idea that they would be taking people's state also, if it comes first they were never told that and while she was looking into our stuff she already had another call concerning the same issue where was their state money? Lol. She said at least she knows now and can know what to tell them but feels bad that they were never told this to be able to inform clients! So my advice is beware when dealing with Jackson Hewitt because all they care about is getting your money and have absolutely no care in the world if they live up to their word as a business!!

They also included in our paperwork. The instructions to log on to their website to be able to access your paperwork for yourself. Well that doesn't work either and when I called the lady and told her this. She really thought I was wrong. Well imagine her surprise when she went and looked and said, "Oh boy you are right!?" I just said, "Yeah I tried to tell you the printed out instructions that your company printed for your guys to give out to clients is not correct and they still have not fixed the problem which is extremely unprofessional!!" They care more about just taking your money and who cares about the service you get! As of today’s date I still can’t log on to their site and view any of my information! I would never recommend them to anyone nor will I ever use this service again! It is a very hard lesson learned! Beware!!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Giving this company a 2nd chance was a mistake. After having my 2010 taxes messed up to the point I was awarded the 5000 Gold Guarantee I vowed to never allow Jackson Hewitt to prepare my taxes again. Instead I learned how to prepared them my self. However this year I decided to give Jackson Hewitt another chance. This turned out to be a mistake. Prior to getting my taxes done I explained to the tax preparer some of my concerns. The preparer nicely avoided some of my question regarding the fees, If I qualify for the RAL loans.

After waiting 4 days I contacted the main office and was notified that my taxes were not even filed because there was some question. I was waited another 3 days before calling again to see why my tax pro hadn't bother to contact me. Due to my lack of confidence in the preparer I requested that my returns be sent to another office.

For nearly a week none of my question were answered, I kept being bounce around to several different locations in the Grand Rapids area meanwhile has bothered to communicate with me regarding My taxes. After being sent to 4 four different locations before ending up at despite having a appointment I had never been so disrespected. Eventhough I was given several apologies I will never have Jackson Hewitt prepare my taxes again. To prevent this from happening to someone else I am volunteering to prepare anyone taxes in the Grand Rapid Wyoming Area Free of Charge.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jackson Hewitt?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

This is my first year using Jackson Hewitt and I am very disappointed in how it went. I decided to go with my fiance to file our taxes. I filed separately from him. I called before we went to make sure we would be seen. The woman told me she had nothing else for the day and of course we could walk in (the one in Walmart). When we got there she said, "I have two appts so I won’t be able to get to you until an hour or so". It's 5pm I’m starting to get annoyed since we talked 30 minutes ago but things happen so we wait... and wait... and wait until it is 7:30 and I’m sick of waiting. I walk into her booth and ask if we can finish tomorrow. She said, "Sure. Come by the actual Jackson Hewitt building". It's 10:30am the next day... she’s not there!

So we are filing with someone else and then she shows up 11:00 and takes me to another room to file. She says nothing about the fees besides the $36 to get it in a check. When we got done she had charged me $575 to file. I spent almost 2 hrs to have my taxes filed while listening to her drone on about her personal life and they said, "We will call when your return comes in." Well I left a bad survey and they refuse to call so now I have to call to find out when my return will be there. Please go anywhere else to file your taxes. These people are scamming you.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I made an appt, to get my taxes done (I usually do them myself), so that I could get the Express Refund. First off, she didn't have my appointment and was getting ready to leave, but was nice enough to do my taxes for me real quick, while her daughter walked in and out looking over her shoulder at my information, not acceptable. Then she quickly finished my taxes and told me the fee, which was over $350. I have never paid that in my life and even at that point she couldn't tell me if I would get the express refund. A day later I call to see why I haven't heard anything and I'm told I was denied the Express Refund and I told them that was the biggest waste of money and they told me they can't do anything to help me.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I went in to get my taxes done after having a bad experience with H&R Block charging me 369 dollars last year to do my taxes with me also filing self employed with regular employment. This year I had 2 W2 form and was charged 499. This was ridiculously high, I feel People are being taken advantage of and I would recommend you use a CPA instead of the franchises like HR and Jackson Hewitt, Liberty.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I set up an appointment for 2:30 and arrived at 2:15 only to have to sit and wait until 3:00 pm!! That should have been my clue to leave while I should have! Then the attendant; Shalda ** took an hour to enter all my information and then made me sit and wait another 45 minutes while someone else checked her work???Then the sign said a fee would be about $40.00?? She tells me that I'm to pay $334.00?? I had a personal CPA do my taxes last year and only charged me $250.00 and I didn't sit around and wait. When I asked why I was being charged so much she didn't know

I didn't feel confident with her filing my taxes and I will never use this poor excuse of a tax filer again!! Save yourself time and money; do not use Jackson Hewitt!

After taking their survey of which I told my poor experience; I get an email days later; that they had been trying to contact me? They had my phone number and I had not received any phone calls at all; lies!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

My first and my last using Jackson Hewitt, the preparer never inform me of their fees. I know it was dumb of me not to ask my mistake because if she would have told me that their fees were 500 dollars they would I have never did them. What they did was not worth 500 dollars. They couldn't even explain to me why it was so high. Are give me a breakdown. She just said that's their fees. Never again.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Terrible experience! Upon arriving at Jackson Hewitt, I asked upfront what fees would be charged and was told fees are charged depending on how many papers they would need to prepare. My form was yet simple! First time I came in with check stubs at that time I didn't have my 1040s and was told no problem! Interesting! So with that being said I started being charged 400 plus then I came back with my W-2s and was told now the charges were 569 dollars. Why? MY main problem is how did they arrive to this conclusion about what the charges are and why aren't there any breakdowns of this on paper. Why are there additional charges if you say I just need my check stubs for that sorry 200 advance. So sad how they take advantage of people. How do they sleep at night! Taking food out of people's mouths. Lesson learned. Burn me once but you won't burn me twice!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

This is my second year filing with Jackson Hewitt. Last year, I filed with them not only for the refund advance but because it was my first time having to file married jointly and my husband’s first time filing taxes in like 10 years. The preparer was really nice, however, we were not told about the fees in advance. So, today - 2/4/18 - we go and file our taxes at the same location with the same preparer because we need the refund advance again. Mind you, I had already started my own tax return with TurboTax who estimated my tax refund to be a little over $4500. We go, everything gets put in, all the same info, but our refund with JH comes out to be over $1000 less than what Turbo said it would be.

We ask and the preparer says we made more this year than last year but less taxes were taken out (which doesn’t make ANY sense coz I filled out my W4 so more taxes were withheld from my paycheck than needed). I even told her that TurboTax estimated our refund to be more and she just shrugged it off. I guess the good news is that we were already approved for the refund advance and we’ve gotten it, but after that gets deducted, and the tax prep fees, we’re only going to get like $1800 as a refund which is about 50% less than what we got back last year when we made less in 2016. Next year, I’ll just go through TurboTax.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

1st time user - never again. Word to the wise. This and all tax services are only useful if you have children and/or qualify for EIC. My measly $414 refund was cut by more than half by their fees which they can't reveal to you until after filing. Also be sure to have $60 on you if you want to cancel the filing. I'll go back to doing my own. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Wife and I filed this year, Married filing separately, We went to the Fremont Walmart location on Albrae Rd, Mallika and her associates were outstanding. The associate did all the prep work and Mallika proofread it all and explained everything in detail, answering all of our questions. Pricing we paid half of what we paid someone last year. Knowing what I know now would never go back to other source. We will go back to Jackson Hewitt and Mallika again next year. I strongly recommend using this location for your tax services.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

The first time I used JH a few years back. I vowed to never use their service again due to how difficult it was to obtain my refund when it was administered. BUT this year when I find out H&R Block was no longer doing the Emerald Card and Advance, I looked at JH to see they were doing a pre qualified service that I did do. I was qualified for $750 and they have me a code to give the tax lady. I went and filed and have her the numbers and she told me not to put the code in because I should be approved for more.

I drove over a hour and dismissed the annoying fact of how they disburse my money to get the much needed advance. Needless to say I didn't get the guaranteed and it really hurt us when we started to count on that. Also... IN set up their little tax station right by the front registers at a loud Walmart and by the emergency exit and bathroom. So imagine a Lois, cold area that smelled like **. Emphasis on **. I nearly vomited multiple times. Plus they ran out of paper and were not able to give me any paper documents. Also their fee was a lot larger than that of H&R Block. I highly do NOT recommend this place.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

My husband and I were pre approved for the 3200 instant refund before filing our taxes. We went over to the closest Jackson Hewitt location and began filing our taxes and told them we had been pre approved for that instant refund. They told us that we should have no issues at all getting that instant refund since we were already pre approved. In the past we have filed ourselves with Turbo Tax to save money on fees. We only used this service this time because of the preapproval we received.

Long story short we ended up paying over $400 in fees to file and an hour later after receiving our refund card we were told that we had been denied our instant refund. I would recommend not using this company. We felt as if this was a scam to get people to file for more money in fees and it was a huge waste of our time and money! I wish there was a way to go after them for this and get our filing fees returned. We will definitely never being doing business with this company again.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

My refund only 2900 and yes they gave me the 750 advance but charge me 526 to prepare my taxes. I'm mad and then when I called they were rude at main office. On top of that he got a nerve to say nothing free. I'm not rich and I know nothing free but 526 is too dang on much and I want some of that 526 back. Who do the lawsuit? I'm with them 100%.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I went to JH solely BECAUSE they advertised the "rapid refund", I filed, they explicitly told me that it would be "no more than 24 hours" before I would have money on their American Express card that they hand out. Here we are, 84 hours later, and NO MONEY!! I usually can't get ahold of anyone to answer my questions, and when I do they just try to say that there is nothing they can do--that it looks like the IRS approved the refund, and now it's stuck at the bank that handles the CCard.

SOMEONE should be held accountable for their false advertisement (JH, the IRS, or the bank) but SOMEONE, out of THREE AGENCIES, should be held responsible for doing their job!! I know that if I don't do MY job correctly, as expected, not only can people die, but I can lose my job, and every effort will be afforded to make it right. People--like myself--make life choices based on financial expectations, promised to us by these agencies. This type of business practice is unacceptable and should not be tolerated. This company should be put out of business!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

This is my first time filing with Jackson Hewitt and I will say I was not happy. There are fees that are never disclosed. They tell you it’s just the 49 to file, draws you in doesn't sound like a lot right? Well I decided after it was all said and done to pull up my documents online and review my tax return and I noticed a total of $578 total charges of fees taken. $509 alone was one fee. When I called to asked what that were the fees for the rep’s response was that it’s the fee to prepare the documents. To me that is absolutely unheard of over five hundred dollars just to prepare paperwork, better yet just to put my information into a computer. I will never go to Jackson Hewitt to file again and I will be sure to let everyone know because it shouldn't cost almost six hundred dollars in fees just do my tax return for that I could have done it online and paid less than $100.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

JH is **. My husband and I filed with them and they screwed us big time. The lady told us we were approved for the 3200 in advance... And gave us the prepaid card and all. Told us it would be on in a few minutes up to 2 hours... Come to find out. She put my husband on the application and not me. He was denied. I was approved. Due to him having to owe child support and us filing jointly we were denied. The tax preparer did not tell us this! Waste my money filing through them. No one fixed no problems. So I will never go back to JH. They are greedy and money hungry!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Stay away from here. I have done my taxes there 4 years in a row and each year I have gotten significant price increases. Today I went look for my hard copy of my 2016 return. Lo and behold there is none! Seems they charged me $18 to store it. After an hour trying to retrieve it online (good luck with that) I called customer service and these people could care less. It took me 15 minutes to find out they would even try to help me and asking for a supervisor is a joke (you will not be connected). My only recourse is to go across town in the rain to a JH office and jump thru hoops there. Needless to say I will be using TurboTax for a fraction of the price.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I filed my 2015 taxes in 2016 at the Jackson Hewitt office in Suisun City, CA. The tax preparer made 2 mistakes. One, she checked the box that said we didn't have medical insurance, the second mistake stated that we paid more than double the amount in property taxes than we actually paid. In 2016, we were fined $ 1500, because of the medical insurance mistake. I had to ask our tax preparer from H & R Block to correct the mistakes made by Jackson Hewitt, since the representatives had no idea how to fix it. In October 2017, I received another letter from the IRS stating that I owed $3,000 thanks to another mistake made by the same rep on my 2015 taxes. This time, it was due to the amount she incorrectly calculated for paid property taxes. She doubled the amount and now we're stuck with the bill. I've tried to get the mistakes corrected by Jackson Hewitt because I paid extra for the Gold Assurance guarantee.

I took a day off in November to drive all the way to Sacramento since the Suisun office is only open during tax season. The woman at the Sacramento office was extremely unprofessional, and said that she would file a claim for me but did not provide paperwork or anything. She said I had to wait 6 weeks for an answer. I made over 24 calls because I never received anything in the mail, and later found out she didn't file anything at all. I've been transferred from one manager to another, and the problem is still there. I scheduled an appointment with the Suisun office to get this corrected and when I showed up, no one was there to meet with me. I'm beyond frustrated and feel that Jackson Hewitt staff are unprofessional and act as though they aren't responsible to correct their mistakes. I keep getting the run around, and have no idea how to get them to fix the problem they created.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

It took 2 visits totaling around 3 hours to complete my taxes that usually take me 20 minutes on TurboTax. I live about an hour away - very inconvenient. Issue #1: Breach of contract. The preparer stated (in the presence of myself and a witness) that I would receive my email informing me of my advance amount within one hour and my advance would be in my bank account within 24 hours. Both untrue. JH CS was very rude and not at all helpful when I pointed this out. Karen at CS tried to condescend to me about wishing I had been approved for a larger advance. I reminded her that was not the nature of my complaint. My complaint is chiefly about breach of contract, mistakes unaddressed, and false advertising. Inconvenience, incompetence, and rudeness notwithstanding.

Issue #2: Mistakes were made on my return. I pointed them out to the preparer, and she never addressed them. I had already run my taxes on TurboTax. One mistake is that the balance didn’t change after she entered daycare credit. I am eligible for daycare credit. Because I used TT, I know precisely how much that should have affected my return. This was after I had to pressure her to enter the daycare info bc she didn’t want to fix it. Another issue is that the preparer stated I am -required- to claim business expenses for my student support business. This is detrimental to my case, and my expenses are minimal and not provable since I never kept receipts. And it is not required by the IRS - others including a private CPA, H&R Block, and TurboTax never required this.

Issue #3: The pre-approved refund advance from JH website is a lie. JH CS -says- it’s irrelevant and just a marketing tool. Obviously, but it’s also a serious blight on the company’s integrity. It is, in fact, false advertising. Other issues abound, such as Kim, the area manager being even more rude and LYING, saying there is no CS escalation available to me to address these issues. Clearly there is — they reply to people on this forum regularly! Redeem JH in the eyes of the public, escalation department! Let’s hear how you address these serious flaws, constituting in a couple instances criminal activity.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I filed last year with Jackson Hewitt and I was approved for the loan with a problem. I was pre approved this year for up to 3200 for the loan so I applied the first time for the loan using my check stub. I was denied. They said, "Come back with your W2. You might can approve you for the second loan." I was denied again. At this point I'm pissed off. I call MetaBank and they said the reason were they couldn't identify my identity. I'm like WTF. I file with yall last year and was approved in 30 mins. Everything is still the same job address and identification even my ** email... Turbo tax here I come. I'm done. Jackson Hewitt full of ** and they charge too damn much.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I decided to go to JH because H&R Block is incompetent and I needed a loan this year. I normally do my own taxes on TurboTax and save so much with no problems. Well JH pre-approved me for 3000 considering my return was over 9000. I was not skeptical. I went had the taxes done and was never even approved or notified. I had to call 2 days later to find out I was denied and so the whole Jackson Hewitt thing was pointless because I could have done my own taxes on TurboTax and saved about four hundred and something dollars for a $50 loan processing fee that I got charged for some loan that I didn't even get approved for is ridiculous.

It's a waste of rip off and I think H&R Block and Jackson Hewitt should be put out of business because they are both scamming people for all their money cause H&R Block does the same exact thing. And to boot they don't even start accepting Jackson Hewitt tax forms to be accepted from the IRS until January 29th. I could have filed and been accepted already from TurboTax doing all my damn self for $75 and did you think anybody would stop and tell me that and then advance. No never. Not one time. Rip off and waste of time. Don't bother going here.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

On January 26th my wife and I went into Jackson Hewitt kiosk to get our taxes done. Normally we use Turbo Tax because our taxes are fairly simple and the price is reasonable. We decided to go with JH this year due some minor financial issues in the past year and it was my daughter's sixteenth birthday and we were hoping to do something special for her. So we saw the Advance Refund advertised, did some research, (pre-qualify) etc. Everything seemed all good. So, we met with Susan our preparer, she was nice, seemed knowledgeable and we proceeded to move forward. With everything verified and in order we received our temporary card and we were informed that we should be receiving our advance in a couple of hours at the most. She even "checked" the website to be sure the card got registered etc. All Good.

Forty five minutes later we receive an email stating we were denied. No reason. We would be receiving something in the mail in thirty days. So I called JH. Susan was gone, I spoke with Patty who told me that JH has no control over anything to do with Advance Refund, it is all up to Metabank, and to call the number on the back of the temporary card. Then she hung up. I called the number, all automated responses. I searched the web and attempted to contact Metabank from numbers I found. All Automated responses. No Humans, No help. I then attempted to contacted JH through other customer service numbers. Again Automation, No help.

I was forced to return home and cancel most of the plans we had for my daughter's sixteenth birthday. I am beside myself with anger and disappointment. JH will not again receive my business. I don't know if anyone from JH or MetaBank will read this or even care but I now that I have filed this here, my wife is simultaneously on her rather extensive amounts of social media accounts relaying her feelings. I will not deal with JH ever again and will steer anyone who asks from their service.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I recently got a $200 loan from them in December which I planned on paying back out of my next check. Before I even received my W-2 someone fraudulently filed my taxes at the location I got the loan without me present and without a W-2 and without my knowledge or consent. They used my last paystub and filed incorrect amounts which lowered my return. I have never in my life had something like this happen. I’m fuming mad and can’t get ahold of anyone at the 800 number. Supervisors are not calling me back and they are saying they don’t know how this happened. I’m contacting a lawyer on Monday. DO NOT FILE THROUGH JACKSON HEWITT. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

Let me start by saying that I have faithfully utilized Jackson Hewitt's tax preparation services for the past 15 years. In that time, I have never had issue... until 2018 for the tax prep of year 2017. I have utilized the same location for the past 7 years. This location seems to have a very low staff turnover rate and the faces are generally familiar from year to year. The staff is and always has been very courteous and professional. My issue was with the services this year. This is what happened to me; I, like quite a few others on here, am in a bit of financial distress due to the company that I was with for the past 21 years recently eliminating my position. I went to JH a few weeks ago, with my pay stub and was allotted a $400.00 loan/advance on my tax return. I recently received my W-2 and went back to JH, on 1/24/18 to complete my return and hopefully qualify for the remaining $2,800.00 advance.

The tax preparer had worked with me in the past and was very pleasant and efficient. She had everything completed for me, to my satisfaction, in approx. 20 minutes. I was told that I did qualify for an advance and that by this being the finalization of my 2017 tax return, it would take a bit longer for the advance to load on my card as all of my return data would need to process first but that I should receive a text/email within around 4 hours. I left the office at around 1:20pm. I never received any word so I called the office to touch base around 6:30pm that evening. I was told that the manager would give me a call back before closing.

The manager did call me back and again, was very courteous. He told me that the system was having some issues, that nothing was wrong with my return and that they had been seeing these advances taking up to 24 hrs to load and that I should call back around 1:30pm the next day if nothing had happened by then. Nothing happened so I called the office back at around 1:30pm on 1/25/18. I was told that this office location was having some system issues, that my return was "stuck" and that they were doing everything in their power to resolve the issue. I went online to the IRS website and found that the IRS had no information on my return (this made sense given that they aren't accepting returns until 1/29). I called the office back at 6:30pm to find out if any resolution to the issue had been found.

At this time I was told that the IRS had run some "hub tests" on my return as well as some other folks and that something had gone wrong with processing and these returns were stuck. I called back today around noon to ask about resolution and at this time I was told that this was in the hands of the IRS and that this JH had nothing to do with this issue nor could JH do anything about it and that they did not know when resolution would be found, that resolution would be up to the IRS... The person was not rude. They were even apologetic. The fees for the advance are not very high at all, $49.95 in fact. The fees for tax prep is a good bit more but it is us folks that need the advance(s) that are willing to pay those fees for simple, straightforward returns. It has just been a disappointing, frustrating experience this year, again, not with the staff, they have been as helpful as they could be.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Went in to JH to get taxes done and get an advance loan. Preapproved for 500. Got home. Checked my email. Denied! No explanation or anything. 50 dollar non- refundable fee. Just a Batman scheme to make 50 extra dollars per person. I'm highly upset. This was my first year at JH, and it's safe to say it's my last year. Thanks for misleading JH. No recommendations this way.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Went to local Jackson Hewitt office for the pre approved $1000. Well we always used turbo tax in the past and already figured that we would receive around $5000 back. We sat there for about a hour and was told that we would only receive around $3000 back and that the fee for the service would be $495. We questioned her about the discrepancy in the two taxes and she stated that we couldn't use our Daughter who is 16 saying that the cut off age to was 15 for a tax credit.

We ran our taxes thru a couple of online services and all were within $50 of turbo tax and also check the IRS website to find out that the child tax credit cutoff is 19. Turbo tax changes nothing to file taxes but a $29 fee for audit protection which is a guarantee that they have done it right. We never have had a problem with turbo tax. We were lured in by the $1000 online guarantee and after reading a lot of reviews that just what it is a lure. We are very happy that we didn't spend a penny with Jackson Hewitt and went with turbo tax. I feel really sad that so many people were fooled in a false advertising scheme. It's also sad that a company like Jackson Hewitt is behind it. Save your money and go elsewhere! Reviews tell all just read them.

Jackson Hewitt expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

Jackson Hewitt started out as an in-person only tax service provider, but in 2010 the company expanded with the launch of Jackson Hewitt Online. The online tax software service is aimed at those taxpayers that are comfortable preparing and filing taxes themselves, which introduced the Jackson Hewitt brand to a new market.

• In-person option: Jackson Hewitt offers both online and in-person tax preparation services.

• Expanded online support: All Jackson Hewitt online packages come with free unlimited live chat support.

• Great price for freelancers: The Premium package, which is designed for 1099 contract employees and freelancers, is priced significantly lower than some competitors.

• Phone support: Phone support is available with the premium package.

• Website: The JacksonHewittOnline.com website is very basic.

• Best for: Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby

Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

Jackson Hewitt Company Information

www.jacksonhewitt.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use