Jackson Hewitt

Compare Tax Services

Research top Tax Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I recommend no one go to Jackson Hewitt. They are a joke. Their employees don't know how to do their job. Make promises they don't keep. All their advertising is a lie. I have been waiting 24 hrs for my advance refund and then they call to tell me I have to come in and redo a part that I specifically asked about when I was in the first time. Now they say they don't know if I qualify for advance. It's all a big joke and a scam. They should close their doors never to open again.

Jackson Hewitt is the worst place you could ever go to have your taxes done period. They lie and promise things that they cannot deliver on and very rude workers at the call center - I was approved yesterday for a 200 advance but today I was denied. Their system is just a gimmick and do not believe what you hear/Read from this company. Horrible horrible experience and would never recommend them to nobody ever!!

Ohio area here. First off, there's absolutely no privacy in this office at all. Granted, this is one particular location out of thousands. However, it was an office location inside a strip mall, something that I thought would provide more privacy than inside a Walmart store, which is half of their locations. Good branding would mean that most locations are structured similarly. So either they don't have a consistent brand and you may find a location in your area that provides a higher degree of privacy, or beware that you may also encounter this privacy issue at the location you are thinking of visiting. Also note that inconsistent branding can lead to other issues on the backend or be a result of deeper issues within the company.

I was skeptical as soon as I walked in. Anyone sitting in the building could hear everything anyone else was saying. Someone could easily be writing down your social security number and other info. With the increasing rates of fraud and identity theft, this is definitely something to be concerned about. I've always done my taxes myself, as mine are usually pretty simple.

I usually use H&R Block online and have used both the free service as well as the upgraded program for a fee of less than $100. Due to some financial hardships I've endured recently, and knowing that the IRS will be holding my refund until at least Feb 15th because I'm claiming the EIC and additional child tax credit, I decided to explore my options. I went into JH to apply for the refund advance up to $1,300. There is an online application to get pre-approved, which I went ahead and filled out before making my appointment.

I asked about fees right upfront when I sat down. Even though it says the advance is 0% APR and no fees, having my taxes done in the office for a higher fee solely for the advance does make it an extra cost for me, so I needed to weigh all the factors. I didn't want to waste her time or my own if the fees weren't cost effective for my situation. This is when she became very defensive and then rude and unprofessional.

I understand needing a price range, as I assume the fees are partly associated on number of forms filed. I came in with a W2 and very basic info for a schedule C. I knew this would increase my cost, going into a business category. I also hoped that since it was probably the most basic schedule C, it wouldn't be too much extra in cost. Filing the schedule C is why I've paid fees with online filing services in the past.

I have a very small crafting business. Small as in only made $3k last year, just me and my sewing machine. One income category, with annual total clearly marked, and two expense categories, with annual total clearly marked. Net/loss clearly shown at the bottom. I didn't come here for judgement. I expect my tax professional to properly do my taxes as give me helpful tax tips. If I want someone to judge my finances, I'll get a financial advisor. Then they can judge all they want in order to direct me specifically with my entire life weighted into their factors.

I look young but at 31, I am surely an adult with enough time and experience to have developed a small business for myself. She made several assumptions based off my appearance. She assumed I had no children, and asked me about my business in a condescending tone. I had told her I had 2 children several times and she kept making comments about "one kid." She made me feel as if she was implying I had falsified a business as well. She asked me what I "could possibly spend $5,000 on for supplies?" I'm a crafting business. Crafts require materials, which cost money. I responded by listing items "Fabric, thread, yarn, needles..." I could see her pause for second, as if she realized how naive the question was and the conversation was starting to sink in.

My supply costs were high for my business but this person clearly has no business background. I still made money. She doesn't know if I spent 10 hours or 1,000 hours to make that amount. I didn't spend 5 MILLION. It's not an outrageous number for a small business. I was very put off just by her initial questioning in rebuttal to my fee inquiry. Some of her questioning was indeed necessary to get a price range. However, many questions were unwarranted and came across as extremely judgemental. I never even got a definitive price range.

The base price was $350. She made it seem that was the base price without the schedule C though. She advised me that she "just did one with for another family with several kids who also got the advance card" and their rate was over $350, but wouldn't say how much exactly. The way she stated it, it seemed there WAS a fee associated with getting the card itself to receive the advance on. At this point I knew I wasn't going to stay so I didn't ask any more questions regarding the fee associated with the advance or the card. I asked once more for a rate and she said "$350 to 400, $500... $600 to $700... I just don't know."

As I previously stated, I'm sure that part of the cost is based upon the number of forms required. The tax "professional" implied this today as well. So in that regard I can understand that having more children requires more forms, especially for each earned income credit claimed (which is a separate form just in case you weren't aware). At the same time, she's not doing this with pencil and paper. She's not even filling every form out line by line. The computer program formats it all. So I believe this is a huge part of the scam to raise their rates.

Hourly cost would be more clay effective to consumers, but they know those extra forms only take a couple extra minutes. They also know they can't break it down hourly because then the employees would get upset seeing the breakdown, knowing they're paid pennies to those dollars. They don't want such a detailed breakdown of allocated funds for the service. Seems highly deceitful.

I had a "$50 off $150+ tax preparation services" coupon that she said she "wouldn't" use. I asked if she wouldn't or couldn't use it and she gave me a dirty look and said it's not accepted. Not sure if anyone else could use this coupon or not. Retail me not had a 28% success rate reported for the coupon. I didn't respond since I feel my situation was based off personal factors and not the validity of the coupon.

I was very put off by my entire experience and will not be going back or using any of their products. Unless you have a complicated return or larger business, I wouldn't recommend using a tax office for your tax preperation needs. I completely understand working your butt off and falling short on cash at times, especially around the holidays. It's frustrating and hard to manage finances. As I was also trying to get the advance, I completely understanding having to weigh all the costs.

I urge you, PLEASE consider everything and make sure you know exactly what you're getting yourself into. I felt since JH couldn't be upfront with all their fees, that there may be hidden fees and fees at high rates. It was too risky for me, especially after knowing the base price. Online programs these days are pretty easy to use. With a small fee you can receive added imports of information and extra questions to help guide you through every step. The fees are a lot lower than the office fees.

I understand that in the office you're also paying that person for their time. The lady today reminded me of this, although I could barely hear her up there on her high horse. If you're willing to pay someone for their time though, make sure it's something you can't do yourself, and make sure the person you're going to pay is qualified for the job. Many tax offices employ people who have training but not a degree. Is someone without a degree, walking through basically the same steps on their modified system that you'd be doing with an online system of a similar caliber, really qualified to make over $100 an hour? Personally, I don't think so. I think it's a huge scam by all major tax preparation companies in our country. They feed off the low income and people's hardships.

For me, the late fees I would incur from the specific bills I needed the advance for becoming late without the advance, was significantly lower than $350. Nothing was getting disconnected at the time so having to wait some time and pay the late fees over the filing fee was a better option in the long run for me. You'll have to weigh your own situation to see if it's worth it for you. However, I'd strongly advise looking into another company besides Jackson Hewitt.

What do the Jackson Hewitt at my local Walmart with the intentions of getting the first time customer $200 advance ask every question I could about it the tax preparer 4 Jackson Hewitt assured me I would get $200 put on this American Express card that they provided within the hour... To make a long story short I was informed the next day by MetaBank that I was not approved even though the website that I found online while researching tax preparers says that there would be no credit check. They just did that so they could keep $190 they charged for doing my taxes. Had an unexpected expense that was the only reason that I went there. They are a very misleading company with no good intentions. I will be exercising my option to not have them not submit or have them tax preparer ever again. Beware of this company. They care not about the consumer.

My 2015 taxes when they finished I came home looked over them and noticed they left my house tax and interest out (I was suppose receive $2k and $1k from another.) When I got home I noticed they left off tax and interest from my 2nd home. I contacted them and they made an amendment and I ended up getting $188.00. I went back they said they made a mistake and done NOTHING AT ALL ABOUT IT. I will have H&R Block amend them. JACKSON HEWITT IS WORTHLESS.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jackson Hewitt?

I don't understand how you can pay $2,000 into taxes and Jackson Hewitt says you're only getting $400 back. Doesn't add up. So I can't get the express refund because supposedly I'm only getting $400. I have to get over $500 back which isn't true according to HR block that I'm only getting $400 back. My boyfriend got the advance of $500 but will only get $200 now and $300 later when bring w-2 in. How does that make sense?! I'm doing the advance because I need money now! Not later. They will try to make you lose money and I would never recommend this place to ANYONE! Horrible business.

These people are robbing us blind teaming up with Metabank for advance loans. They make you think you will get 1300 in commercial then tell you to prequalify. They send email saying you can get 200-1000 then tell you to make appt, making you think you will get to choose the loans amount and get it that same day. When they pick the amount based on your year to date which JH, don't put your full amount 1000 short so Metabank don't give you the higher loans, only giving you 500 and you don't get it all. Only 200 that day and 300 in Feb.

That is crazy and JH is charging 500 to do your taxes just to get 200 for advance loan. I thought we would get 1000 that same day. They are crooks which Monday I'm having it reverse and give back their 200 card and will wait till Jan 6, file taxes myself saving 400 and will get my full refund including that 1000 JH didn't add. They are setting self up for class action lawsuit.

This place is absolutely terrible from every inch and level in the book. The workers are absolutely unreliable. They have no idea of what they're doing and the owner is just the icing on the cake. They lie, they skip customers after customers, their computers are always down, they always only have 1 signature pad, they never answer their phones. I mean overall beyond terrible. Poor customer service and the office is dirty, garbage beyond full, desk are dusty. I hate this office. Beware before wasting your time with JACKSON HEWITT 41 E SUNRISE HIGHWAY IN LINDENHURST NY.

Got a Tax Warrant Today. They calculated our 2011 taxes, got us audited, our earned income tax credit disallowed, charged us 400 dollars for the disservice. Took their 400 off the top of our State tax return, which they calculated, and now the State wants that money from us. Read the reviews. They are criminals. Tell everyone you know. If you want proof email me. I have pictures of the tax warrant notification.

Had my Taxes Done. They lie about what your fees will be. Do Not Have your taxes done here. You'll play hell getting your money off your American Express. American Express is what's used mainly in overseas. It's not widely used in United States. Read on of issue of the American Express is because all your information is going to another country. A third party lender. Once you get down to 10 dollars on your card you can't get rest off it unless you have an account where American Express is used. They lie about fees. There's numerous fees associated with this company. What was suppose to be a 250 fee turned into a 540 fee. Had a lot issues getting my taxes done. Stay clear of this place. You'll Regret going there. You can get your Taxes done elsewhere for way cheaper. Mine was done Feb 2016. What a Bunch liars and rip off. They should be sued.

I get my sister file my 2015 taxes, I was happy get done then I get letter back from IRS showing someone else name and ss number. I call my sister so she what happen then told she going fix it. Then month later I get another letter from IRS. I had to verify who I was. Now I am trying get my money but when I go to Jackson Hewitt they never there or when I call never answer the phone. I have went to IRS place get things right. They have everything right. Told go back to place. Then Aug 3 had me check with right name and address still wrong ss number. They void the check send it back. When I talk to Jackson Hewitt republic bank they told me they have send check back to IRS so they get right. When I call IRS they told all they have to do is cut another check with right ss number but jackson hewitt republic bank told me they have send back then IRS get with you.

It's Oct now still have not get no money from them. I am tired of this. Where is my money at. I work everyday nothing show for it. When jackson hewitt republic bank told me on phone that send money back to IRS on Sept 9 now month and some later. I have not seen nothing. When I call to jackson hewitt on Ramada Rd she never there or don't answer my call. When I do get hold her she have everything say nothing show for it. When I check IRS website showing they have my money. They having me go around the circle with this. I am tired. I need help get my money that I work for. I will never going back to jackson hewitt. They are wrong and hated I used them this year. Never again. Never trust someone. Never again.

They did my 2012 taxes in 2013. The tax preparer did not include money of my W-2s and said, "You have a $6K refund." We were so excited. We had moved in 2013. In 2014, when we filed with H&R Block, the tax preparer had skimmed over our previous tax year, which I love about them, and found we owed because Jackson Hewitt did not input my W-2. We didn't have any money to pay the IRS and just kept to ourselves that we owed because we did receive the money in a lump sum.

When we finally received a letter from the IRS in 2015, we noticed that we were being charged fees and I figure it was time we call Jackson Hewitt because it was not our fault they did not input my W-2. My husband spoke to a woman named Linda in January of 2016 (moved again), who said she would work on it for us. She never got back to him. I just called today and the woman said it was passed the 30 day contact date and the 3 year guarantee date. That's it? Nothing? It's now on us? I will no longer use Jackson Hewitt and I will sway everyone from them. In other words, you have to know the ends and outs of tax preparation in order to find out if there is an issue with your taxes to begin with. They are banking on your ignorance.

I got rejected by the IRS two times, and each time she would say it was this or that, but definitely was her mistakes! I was supposed to receive my money on the Emerald card but received a check instead. Also referred two customers to them, and told I'd receive a 50.00 check in May. When I called to ask they were rude and had no such knowledge of this. Why are they not being investigated with all the same complaints from past customers? We are victims is what we are!!! I'll never ever even consider using them again!!! Hustlers in Disguise.

The district manager or Aruellia ** keep leading me on and leading me to believe that I was going to receive the money with that was not returned to me. I've been waiting for 2 months, still no word. I've left her plenty of messages. She's always busy. She never wants to get back to me for some reason. It seems like this lady does not want to help me, so therefore, this review is the way this review is - no stars, and she just seems like she does not want to help me for being a tax preparer, thinking they would. I got no satisfactory for my taxes for 2016 and the reason for this bad review is also they made several mistakes, not on my part, their part on my income taxes not once, not twice but three times.

I am going to start off by saying that I am highly disappointed in Jackson Hewitt. I paid for the Gold-guarantee. Filed my taxes 02/19/16 and still do not have my refund due to mistakes made by JH. I am still being hit with surprises that are resulting in a further delay of my refund. I have filed complaints demanding my fee paid to be returned to me. They first sent me a check for $200 back in March and then a check for $258 just recently. I paid $518 to JH and was told that I would receive all of my fees paid. Why are they retaining the rest of my fee? I am waiting on an answer to that. Below, I have mentioned some of the situations that I have ran into (so far).

My husband and I being in the company of a JH staff member whom made a prejudice remark while we were wrapping things up with the preparer. Having to return to the JH office on several occasions after being called by preparer that forgot to sign a section of the return or forgot to tell us to sign/initial a document. Contacted by the IRS stating that my SS number and name was an issue. Preparer not advising the use of my legal name and married name correctly. Being told that the Injured Spouse form could not be filed electronically. Finding out on April 21 that my Preparer told me to send my state return to the WRONG ADDRESS. JH COULD NOT RETRIEVE MY TAX DOCUMENTS - I had to send my copy to them for them to tell me what was going on.

Finding out by local JH manager (transferred to after 3rd complaint was filed), that I was shorted roughly $400 because my preparer plugged in the wrong information on federal return. Manager did amendment and told me that sending it in would not further delay my return already being processed. Just found out today that my amendment was received and that I would have to wait an additional 16 WEEKS before I get my refund. Just a disaster. I would not recommend Jackson Hewitt to anyone. This situation has affected my livelihood. I am waiting on a refund of $6000 that I desperately need for many things, including summer care for my children. Parents - I'm sure you can relate!

I file my taxes February 3, 2016 with Jackson Hewitt. Biggest mistake I have ever made in my life. It took 4 different people making huge mistakes. Here it is May and I am still dealing with Internal Revenue. As the result of their careless ongoing mistakes it has affect my health insurance. I am so done with Jackson Hewitt. The Gold seal means absolutely nothing. They should refund our money back from the first time we used their lousy service. I give them a 0.

My 2015 Amended Tax Return was filed with the Jackson Hewitt office on Sycamore View Road in Memphis, TN on March 21, 2016. I was told by the tax preparer that my return would be picked up by UPS the following business day. To date, the IRS has no record of my Amended Tax Return. I've made repeated attempts to contact Jackson Hewitt via telephone and email, to only receive automated responses. When I speak with people from customer service, their only response is that they are "only the call center" for Jackson Hewitt and cannot access my records.

Three days ago, I was told by one of the representatives that she in fact located my electronic documents in their system, but couldn't understand why they were never sent to the IRS. She further stated that she would overnight my Amended Tax Return to the IRS, and that she would even send me a screenshot of the tracking number. I've yet to receive it. I've been a customer of Jackson Hewitt for nearly 10 years, and this tax season will be my last business with this company. My family has been extremely inconvenienced by their unprofessional behavior, and I'm now in the process of seeking legal recourse to recover my $2000 refund plus filing fees.

So I filed my taxes with Jackson Hewitt 04/03/16. They took $280 from my account, 5 weeks and 3 days later I contact the IRS where they tell me my refund is nowhere to be found on their system. To call Jackson Hewitt and verify the information. Funny thing is the only "customer service" phone number is a store locating number that directs me to a voicemail. How am I supposed to get answers? This is unacceptable and I will turn this into a legal matter. Do not trust these people with your money. They are nothing but a bunch of thieving liars!

JH did my taxes 3 years ago. They made a mistake with my forms. Got a letter from the IRS saying I owed them 7 grand. Contacted JH and went to their office with my paperwork showing their mistake. Promised they would pay the interest and penalties. Guess what, after several visits and phone calls nothing happened. Still waiting for that check. I have reported them to the IRS and the Better Business Bureau. The IRS was very interested in this company.

Updated on 05/03/2016: I was advised to mail the letter I received from the IRS so that I could a check for the interest and penalties. Well I called the office where I got my taxes done, they are closed. Cannot send mail because of that. Went to the office on High Street in Pottstown PA, they are closed. Guess the joke is on me. I knew they would not take responsibility.

Took all supporting documents to file before deadline and sat with preparer for hours. He was going to have the return reviewed by his partner. Have not heard anything since, and the deadline has passed. I feel like my taxes are being held hostage with no ransom note. I have made many calls, left many messages and today I left a message that I am considering filing a complaint. I do not have an invoice, so therefore have no receipt.

I had my taxes done on Jackson Hewitt on March 25 by ** on 8280 N Cortaro Rd, Tucson AZ 85743. Last four of the SS **. At that time I was told I would receive a 50 dollar card from Walmart and my daughter Angie ** would get 25 dollar card from Walmart for referring me to them. Today is April 27 and either of us have received the cards. We have called and talk to many rude people about this problem.

Now they are saying it's my fault because the person that did my taxes entered my E-Mail address in wrong and I was supposed to have noticed that before I left. Well after all the questions and all the stuff you go through when you have your taxes done I guess I should have noticed the error but the person that did my taxes should have copied it down correctly. She was the professional - not me - that's why I went there in the first place. Now I question the accuracy of the tax forms they did.

If you can't copy an E-Mail address correctly did they mess up my taxes?!! My daughter and I have call and asked about the cards and talked to mean nasty rude people and after all that my E-mail address has not been changed. I'm so tired of calling people and having to explain the same story and being treated like I'm lying or that they never heard of such a thing. Don't these people have a records of my calls, somewhere, on my account???

After all of this mess I don't think I will be returning to JH next year and me or my daughter will not be referring anyone to your services in the future. I have been in customer services for years and if I would spoke to anyone the way I was spoken to I would have been fired. My opinion is if the customer service people are so rude and nasty to people, the company they work for is not a nice place to work. I can't even rate my experience with JH because it was so bad.

This is the second year I have used them. As I labeled my review, EXTREMELY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. First of all to be called Honey or Dear is wrong by a tax representative. Entitled to a gift card but I had to makes several trips back to investigate and finally receive, charged twice for their service on my MasterCard payment, promised several telephone calls but never received any and now after more than a month since my taxes were done still attempting to resolve their double charge. Extremely upset with the representatives I have had to deal with and these individuals should be scolded on their customer contact. Hopefully their duplication of charges with soon be rectified.

I had taxes done at Jackson Hewitt and spent over 200$ which according to ads I should have received a 50$ gift card but was told not available because his bosses don't like to give out free stuff. I was also told that I would get a paper check faster than direct deposit so I agreed and when check was available I went there 3 different times over 3 days only to find out location had closed in the middle of tax season. Took me 2 weeks to track down check and not only that I also received a letter from IRS that I have an additional 500 coming to me because taxes were prepared wrong. I tried contacting a district manager and was told every time that they would get back to me within 24 hours and still to this day, 2 months later I still have yet to get a response from management. The whole experience was very frustrating and disappointing.

I have used Jackson Hewitt for many, many years. This year has to be the worst experience I have ever encountered. I will never use this service again. I would not recommend this service to anyone as well, as I have in the past. For one, I was told I was getting back a certain amount after the fee of which almost was in the amount of about $400 bucks. I would have never in a million years have signed that tax paper if I knew my check would be half of what the tax preparer advised me it would be. I work all year and I would not want to have to give half my check to Jackson Hewitt.

Then when I tried to resolve the issue after receiving my check the preparer basically told me I was ** out of luck. So I let that go. Now my State was held for 90 days and finally processed, and now I can't get anyone at the damn office to give me my check because no one is there. I called Corporate yesterday to see if they could have another branch deposit into my account and of course that could not be done. Now I'm waiting for MY money that is being held by your corporation. Jackson Hewitt is on my list of DO NOT USE. This company has made over $5000.00 or more off of my services and hard-earned money throughout the years and this is what I get in return.

I have used this company to complete and file my taxes online twice. I am a full-time student working part-time. Last year I used the free version of the software, as an option of the irs.gov website for those with low incomes. I ended up owing hundreds of dollars despite making about $20,000 a year seemingly because I had to pay taxes on my scholarships. (Before this amount was entered I didn't owe anything.) This year, I again visited the irs.gov website and selected their service. I was taken to the website, clicked on "do your taxes for free", and I signed in and began my taxes. Upon completing the taxes I was happy that this time I was receiving a refund. But then I also noticed that instead of using the free service, I had been using the premium service. I tried to get customer service help on the chat app of the website, but did not get contacted by anyone. I wanted to see if I could use the free service and likely still get the same refund.

Without any customer service I filed the taxes. After filing the taxes, and going back to the site to check on their status, I saw their homepage had the price breakdown by various editions and that they had somehow automatically started me on the most expensive, and unnecessarily complicated version of their software. This is poor customer service, and the process seemed misleading since I was automatically given the premium service, despite starting the process through the "free" link. They have made their page unnecessarily difficult to navigate through the price and service options.

My husband did our taxes there this year. I seen a sign, lots of them saying you get a $50 Walmart gift card. Which we didn't get. But today I went to their site and saw taxes had to be done by march 31st. That's OK but then take down your signs. I found it slightly misleading. Spent 280.00 to have them done and I understand it's my fault for not visiting the website to see the dates of the offer. Just felt slightly misled by signage not removed. Boo. Will return to H&R Block next year.

I e-filed both my federal and state tax returns with this company. I was sent an email that my federal tax return had been rejected and I needed to go back into the website to put in my Adjusted Gross Income from last year or my electronic pin from last year. Well, I had no electronic PIN so put in my AGI from last year's return. I got another email that it had been rejected. I did it again and it was rejected again. I then called the local Jackson Hewitt office who told me that they did not handle online e-filing and to call this 800 number.

I called the 800 number and spoke to someone named "John" who would not give me his last name. So called John was of zero help and told me to call my local Jackson Hewitt office and get help from them. Remember this is the office that gave me the phone number to "Zero Help John." I told him this and he told me to log on to the site that I had already been on to file my taxes and get information there. I then clicked on phone support that stated that I would have to pay $74.95 for their deluxe edition. What a ** website... And what a bunch of idiots behind it. I will now do my taxes on my own and avoid this frustration. I urge consumers out there to not use this company!!!

I am a previous customer who has used Jackson Hewitt before. I dropped off my taxes to my local Kalispell branch yesterday at 3pm. I emailed my W2 at 3:30pm and then called to speak with the branch manager. She was unavailable so someone took a message for me and said the manager would call me regarding my W2 and taxes. I did not get a call back. I called several times last night to follow up and could not get an answer.

I called many times today, even calling another branch and still no call. At this point I have heard nothing and no one has gotten back to me, my taxes are not filed and I am very upset as we are now past the deadline. Kim the manager never called me back. Needless to say I won't be using Jackson Hewitt again as they are unreliable and do not follow up with their customers or even answer their phone. I would like a call back from corporate regarding this. But I would not be surprised if I hear nothing, based on my experience so far.

DO NOT I repeat DO NOT and again DO NOT USE THIS "SERVICE" TO DO YOUR TAXES!!! I've used another online service in the past, but they were getting too proud of their service IMO so I moved on elsewhere. I only even use online tax websites because it's faster than forms and I can do all the filing and paying online and simple. I guess not, anymore. So, enter Jackson Hewitt. I've heard of them, figured a large tax preparer should have their ducks in a row. Nope.

My first indication to stop and go elsewhere was entering information for my Schedule A, and then the program not using it to calculate my taxes due. Uh... I didn't just enter all that because I felt like it. No, had to find the spot to change it from "Standard deduction to itemized deduction" rather than it figuring that out on its own that it would make sense to use my Schedule A information.

I seriously should have stopped right then and there, and gone somewhere else. But, I was stupid and I didn't. MY mistake. So I go back to review and file, now that I'm all prepared to, and guess what? I go through each step, click continue... and continue... and so on... enter last years AGI for verification... at no point am I prompted to enter my account information. Next thing I know, I get a screen saying "Success! Your taxes have been e-filed!"

Success? Seriously? Ok, sure... and how exactly do I now pay the IRS what I owe them??? I'm not kidding here, one worthless chat window, 5 phone calls, and 8 people, and one hour later, I finally speak to a person at Jackson Hewitt with somewhat of a brain and he directs me to the IRS form I will need to file, there's no other option given. Great. So I go off on my own, and lo and behold... the IRS has a way to e-pay them right there. It's a two day delay because of time of day, but supposedly I'm not going to get hit with penalty or interest. We'll see. I would never recommend these clowns to do your taxes, they flat do not know what they're doing. Period.

Updated on 04/20/2016: I wrote a review on Monday, the real April Fools day, and I also wrote an email to Jackson Hewitt at the link they provided me in an email sent to me. Well, this is the response I received: "Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address: Mail server for "jacksonhewitt.com" unreachable for too long". So contacting them via email is, obviously, a total waste of time. Good luck if you decide to use this worthless company.

My experience with Jackson Hewitt was horrendous. I paid $186.00 for horrible customer service. I thought Jean was a nice older lady who knew what she was doing, however I later found I was wrong. A few hours after completing my taxes Jean called me to tell me she needed me to come back in because of a discrepancy. We took care of it and told her I didnt receive my $50 Wal-Mart gift card. As the sign reads INSTANT Wal-Mart gift card. She said now that my taxes are complete I'll receive it. I waited a day, called and spoke with Mary who was very rude. She said because the tax transaction was put on hold I wouldn't receive the gift card. I told her that I shouldn't be penalized for a mistake I didn't make. After days of calling and getting nowhere I stopped in. I spoke with Jean, she said that she had to call the general manager but she was too busy too and her current customers were her priority not me.

I explained to her that I am a customer and I just wanted them to follow through on what was promised. I asked for the general managers number so I could sort this out myself and was told she's not allowed to give that info out to anyone. Well finally I get a call from Peter the general manager. I can't get the gift card because of a technicality and that I was acting like a crackhead over $50. I was understandably upset and honestly very uncalled for. (I know that I can be very rude but on that occasion I was cordial. Well nice enough anyway.) I do have his number and occasionally when I'm angry I call up good old Pete and say obscene things to him. It brightens my day!

Compare Tax Software and Services