Owe the IRS $10k+ in Tax Debt?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.37/5

1302 Jackson Hewitt Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 24, 2019

Tax Professional Pro training. I am so excited about starting my classes with Jackson Hewitt. I know I will learn from the best. I have got services in the past. I have income tax done by the best. I will tell everyone about their professionalism.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I've used them before and like everyone else I went in for the advance. At first I was approved for two hundred dollars then when I got my W-2 I was approved for twenty-five hundred. Great. I received it but I've received several letters from Metabank saying my return isn't complete. I've called the office and was assured it is nothing. I'm hoping they are correct. Now I'm waiting on the call that says they can do my state taxes because right now they don't have the software. IDK what that's all about but they need to hurry up and get it. I want to be done with this tax season already. Mark assured me that he would call me back when it's time but I've never had to do or pay for my state and federal separate. I don't like the back and forth.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I went in to file my taxes with Jackson Hewitt on January 26th, 2019. Typically I have a very easy return with only one w2, 3 dependents and school loan information, so I have historically used TurboTax. This year we have a vacation coming up next month and I saw their ad online about filing your taxes with them and getting an advance. I did their pre-qualification and I qualified for a $2,500 advance with 0% interest. I made my appointment and did my taxes with Dave at a Phoenix Walmart location. He did my taxes fairly quickly and efficiently. He issued me an American Express card and explain that once my return was accepted then the banquet would review and approve my advance.

It was only when I went home that I started to read these awful reviews and I got a sick feeling in my stomach. My credit is not great and I was under the impression that this advance had nothing to do with credit but more to do with your return amount. I worried that I had just spent nearly $500 paying someone to file my very simple return just to have to wait for the IRS to issue a check anyway. I was pleasantly surprised to receive an email from the bank and from Jackson Hewitt today January 28th with my official approval and my American Express card was loaded immediately with my advance. It was a two-day turn around even though it was on a weekend that I filed so I have zero to complain about. I only gave four stars because of the cost of filing such a simple return otherwise they would have received 5 stars.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I was at Jackson Hewitt on Dec 19th. Had a nice experience. Before I could leave my seat was approved for the advance without an, "Email or text Ms **." Very pleasant person, patient and caring Ms **, Ms ** also Ms **. 3815 eastern ave. Try this place. A lot more positive energy and welcoming women.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I thought Jackson Hewitt would be qualified to do taxes. My first appointment was with Frank ** at the Show Low, AZ office. He was very nice but when he said he didn't have 1041 forms I should have walked out. He said there was a consultant at another office who might be able to do them. He contacted Dawn ** at the Globe, AZ office who assured him she could file the 1041 forms (for estates and trusts). All my documents were scanned and sent to Dawn **. Several days later I hadn't heard from her. I called several times leaving messages with the receptionist and didn't get a call back from Dawn until I called Frank ** at the Show Low office to report that she wasn't returning my calls. Months went by and the taxes weren't done but when she needed personal information she could pick up the phone and call me. I gave her plenty of leeway to get them done.

My last phone call to her I was told by her receptionist that she was with a client, the taxes would be finished that day, that she had filed an extension for me, she would call me back later. I never heard back from her. I gave her a week, found a CPA who was willing to do the taxes. Called Dawn ** to let her know, of course she wasn't in, so I left a message with her receptionist letting her know she didn't need to finish the taxes, I found someone else but to call me so I could pay her for the work she did do. SHE NEVER CALLED! I was willing to pay her for her time and for filing the extension. You would think she would want to get paid for what little work she did do.

As a result I ended up having to pay interest and penalties because Dawn ** never filed an extension. If you’re looking for someone to do your taxes I recommend a CPA. The people at Jackson Hewitt are NOT Certified Public Accountants. They are tax consultants who can file taxes for you. Providing they have access to the right forms. TurboTax is a better alternative too. Advice for people who are unhappy. You can report the tax preparer to the IRS which is what I've done. They have a form at their website you can fill out. I started the whole tax process the first week of March 2019 and my taxes weren't completed until the end of July 2019. I didn't realize by going to Jackson Hewitt that I wasn't dealing certified public accountants, now I know they are just consultants.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jackson Hewitt?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 25, 2019

I went to them to get my taxes done at the end of March. I did not get my $100.00 promo refund. I called corporate and talked to Beulah **. She told me my refund was approved and I would get my refund. I am still waiting for it. When I called her she said she would look into it. I called several times and was given telephone numbers of people who never answer their phones. They just give you the runaround. They are liars and only want your money.

Original review: July 9, 2019

This was the worst experience with tax preparation I have ever had. The guy who did our taxes COMPLETELY screwed up our state return, and it was IMPOSSIBLE to get anyone to even RETURN OUR CALL, let alone resolve our issue. We wound up having to go to another area office, and finally get our return submitted correctly. The return was rejected SEVERAL times due to incomplete filing by JH. No one at the local office would return our call, or ever have any kind of office hours (though they were posted?). DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. DO NOT. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR and have your cousin do your taxes, they will do a better job than the incompetent folks at JH.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Had a Jackson Hewitt employee who quit 2 days after doing my taxes and had stole my state and federal tax refund. She changed the routing numbers on the bank account for my direct deposit to a bank she had access to and I did not (I can prove this). To make another long story short I was able to get my federal funds recovered with several hours on the phone and no help from Jackson Hewitt! I am still out 258 for my state plus I paid over 200 to get my taxes done! I understand Jackson Hewitt had a bad apple but they did nothing to make it right with me and I had several employees and managers say "they would call me back" what a lie that was. Several hours on the phone wasted and I'm still out my 258 and they will not reimburse me. Never use Jackson Hewitt!!

Original review: June 15, 2019

1st and last experience with Jackson Hewitt. Worst Experience ever and poor Customer Service.Their fees are Outrageous but I thought being a bigger name they ought to be good. So being a single mom tight on money I still spent the $400. Patiently waited 3 MONTHS and hadn't received or heard anything about my taxes. So I decided to finally call the office that I filed at AFTER calling the State 1st and being told they had No record of it. Princeton, MN office 300 21st Ave Princeton, MN THEN tells me well you're suppose to fill out a form along with your taxes and send them in?

1st off I was NEVER NOT once given a "form" along with my paperwork that they supposedly filed and NEVER was I ever told I needed to send or do ANYTHING for that matter. Secondly so WTF did I pay $400 for then if I have to do it myself? When I could've just filed it myself then for FREE. I paid the fee so I could have the convenience of not having the hassle of having to do it being a single mom and my busy schedule. I was then told I could NOT speak to a Supervisor and to just leave a msg and that they do NOT give back any sort of reimbursement for any of the fees I paid. Very rude lady, completely unsympathetic and could care less. Very unprofessional. I most certainly will not be returning and I will be sure to share my story with anyone that I come across and will not be recommending this business to any of my business friends or friends/family.

Original review: June 3, 2019

Omg!! Save your money and NEVER go to Jackson Hewitt!! Jean from Jackson Hewitt on Deerfield Rd in Orlando was my tax preparer. This woman lied to me and said Jackson Hewitt would refund my fee just to get my business. She messed up my tax return then lied and said "don't worry my manager has approved for us to refund your fee $150." Now, the building closed and everyone at Jackson Hewitt swears they don't know what I am taking about!! Bad business and liars!! Somebody needs to go to jail for lying to customers!! Do yourself a favor and go to H&R block!!

Jackson Hewitt expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

Jackson Hewitt started out as an in-person only tax service provider, but in 2010 the company expanded with the launch of Jackson Hewitt Online. The online tax software service is aimed at those taxpayers that are comfortable preparing and filing taxes themselves, which introduced the Jackson Hewitt brand to a new market.

• In-person option: Jackson Hewitt offers both online and in-person tax preparation services.

• Expanded online support: All Jackson Hewitt online packages come with free unlimited live chat support.

• Great price for freelancers: The Premium package, which is designed for 1099 contract employees and freelancers, is priced significantly lower than some competitors.

• Phone support: Phone support is available with the premium package.

• Website: The JacksonHewittOnline.com website is very basic.

• Best for: Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

Jackson Hewitt Company Information