Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.81/5

Jackson Hewitt provides online and in-store tax services for consumers at nearly 6,000 locations nationwide. Jackson Hewitt offers three different levels of service and guarantees that consumers get the biggest possible refund by using its software.

BOTTOM LINE

Jackson Hewitt is a tax service and software company with three plan options. The company has a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all tax refunds.

PROS
  • Easy to file online or in-store
  • Drop-off services available
  • Nearly 6,000 locations
CONS
  • Independently franchised locations

Top Jackson Hewitt Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jackson Hewitt?

I always receive great service and knowledge when I visit Sherry. ... I make an appointment and I'm always seen on time. I recommend her to anyone not knowing much about a tax return. She will break it down for you and make sure you understand everything. Thank you sherry ... see you in February.

Fast & easy filling tax office. Clean friendly staff & satisfies all my tax needs. Will refer people to their office. Very knowledgeable on tax questions & offers great loans. I never experienced any issues with my refund, way to go Jackson Hewitt.

What is Jackson Hewitt?

Jackson Hewitt is a nationwide tax service company that specializes in tax preparation, tax filing and debt resolution. The company offers services online and in physical locations, so you can choose your ideal tax experience with Jackson Hewitt by dropping your taxes off at a location near you or filing your taxes online with the assistance of a Jackson Hewitt tax professional.

To get started with Jackson Hewitt, visit the company's website and create a MyJH account. You need to provide:

• Your name
  • A username
  • A valid email address
  • Security questions
  • A phone number

Once you’ve created a MyJH account, you can upload and organize your tax documents, pick a filing office and get assistance from Jackson Hewitt’s tax professionals. If you’d rather work with a tax professional in person, you can drop your taxes off at a Jackson Hewitt office or Walmart location instead of registering online.

Jackson Hewitt provides a Maximum Refund Guarantee, which states the company reimburses you $100 if you don’t receive the best possible refund.

How much does Jackson Hewitt charge?

Jackson Hewitt has three plans for different taxpayers’ needs:

• Free plan: This plan is a good choice for people with up to $100,000 in taxable income who file simple tax returns. The free plan is ideal for those who file with W-2s, receive unemployment income or are eligible for the earned income tax credit (with no dependents).
  • Deluxe plan ($29.99 plus $36.99 per state filed): The Deluxe works best for families with dependents, people paying student loans or educator expenses and those who have retirement income.
  • Premier plan ($49.99 plus $36.99 per state filed): This plan is suited for those with complex tax returns. It's the best option for taxpayers who are self-employed, own rental properties or have an income of more than $100,000.

Jackson Hewitt FAQ

How much does it cost to get your taxes done at Jackson Hewitt?
Jackson Hewitt has three plans that cost different amounts:
  • Free plan
  • Deluxe plan: $29.99
  • Premier plan: $49.99
What do I need to take to Jackson Hewitt?
What you need to bring to Jackson Hewitt depends on which forms you need to fill out to file your taxes. A person filing a basic return should bring:
  • Photo ID
  • Last year’s federal and state tax returns
  • Social Security card
  • Wage statement
Does Jackson Hewitt do tax advances?
Yes, Jackson Hewitt provides refund advances of up to $3,200 on a prepaid card. You can apply on its website.
How do I check my refund status with Jackson Hewitt?
You can check your refund status by logging in to your MyJH account and visiting the Returns Status page.

Is Jackson Hewitt worth it?

Jackson Hewitt receives high marks from customers looking for an in-office experience. The company also has several offices throughout the U.S., so it is very convenient. However, its three different service plans cost more than many of its competitors and are not as in-depth as other do-it-yourself tax programs. If you want a face-to-face experience, Jackson Hewitt is a strong candidate; otherwise, be sure to research other options.

Jackson Hewitt Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jackson Hewitt?

Original review: March 12, 2021

I love Jackson Hewitt because they offer the tax advances, one with a fee and one without, and a smaller one as well. I used 2 out of 3. This really helped me at the beginning of the year, what with Covid-19 drama and all.

Original review: March 8, 2021

My tax preparer Stephanie is awesome! She is thorough and answers all my questions if she doesn't know she will go find out! She goes the extra mile for her clients. Hope she prepares my taxes again next year!

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2021

Leanna ** is by far the sweetest person that I have ever had do my taxes. She always has a smile on her face and is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. She makes filing taxes a fun experience. This is the second year in a row that I have gone to her and I won't be going to anyone else as long as she's still working here. Filing taxes use to be a time consuming headache and a hassle but now it's a easy and fast experience that leaves me feeling accomplished with one less task on my to do list. So thank you to Mrs ** for making filing my taxes a pleasant experience.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

As soon as you walk into this office, you are greeted with a smile, a great atmosphere, very professional staff, and very knowledgeable, with all products and services, very informative and helpful in every aspect of being of service to their customers. A very comfortable experience.

Original review: April 14, 2021

I went and did my tax return married filing jointly and when the return came American express serve card denied me any right whatsoever to our account. I called Jackson hewitt. They wouldn't help then came our stimulus. I was denied any right to it as well. So overall I was given what little my husband allowed me to have and nobody would help. Jackson hewitt basically said, "Sorry." Wouldnt even attempt to correct. I feel as if my taxes and stimulus wasn't both stolen.

Original review: April 6, 2021

We took my boyfriend's taxes that they charged $50.00 for last year. Pedram spent close to 2 1/2 hours working the keyboard before announcing we would have to pay $386.00! WOW! When asked why it went from $50.00 to $386.00 Pedram couldn't answer. Claimed "It's the software". Claimed he was texting a manager to request a discount but no answer. My boyfriend's on Social Security with 2 forms ONLY! We went home and went to the IRS website and did the tax preparation for FREE in less than one half an hour. Taking advantage of disabled people is a disgrace. They should be fined!

Original review: March 10, 2021

Due to my anxiety level & me being mentally exhausted beyond words, I'm unable to repeat every single lie, mess up, disrespectful manager, no knowledge employee, hours upon hours, & the feeling of someone just robbed me. I can't tell you 1 time I've ever had a single issue since the first year I was of age to file until I came here. Always go with your intuition b/c had I done so I wouldn't be here severely stressed, angry, and feeling defeated. Literally had to leave after spending 4 hours of misery for her to complete a very simple 1 person hoh w/ dependents, & 1 job with 2 w2's (2 positions at work) & her telling me it would be around 200 (she used JH site) then when completed turned into close to 900 (she made sure she did everything right on their estimator & was just as puzzled as me but didn't know why)!

I told her I'd be back to sign later. Went back like a fool & it has been a nightmare. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've flat out been lied to & now I'm losing my electricity, my only vehicle, & our phones. Filed 1/21/21,accepted 2/11/21, no money, no answers, no date, & per jh it hasn't been 21 days yet, today 3/9/21. If you want to keep your sanity (took me 4 sheets of paper front & back to beginning to end of this horrific experience I've had) do not have your taxes done here.

Original review: March 1, 2021

Jackson Hewitt didn't tell me that if they used my 2019 earned income credit and child tax credit I wouldn't get my refund for 6 to 9 months so now my electric will be shut off. I will never go through them again. This is the second time I've not been able to get the money I needed to survive because of them. They should give me the money and wait the 6 to 9 months to get it themselves.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

Had taxes done at Walmart in Palm Springs done. Was to receive tax preparation credit for $50.00. She had previous years of preparation for less money and did not give me credit. Asked her and said I should have reminded her before she hit send. Oh well, too bad. She was very stoic, no personality. Not friendly at all. Will use another tax preparer next year and not make any referrals to my local neighbors.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

$664 DOLLARS TO FILE TAXES *I think it's important I share my experience*. Before I begin I want to advise prior to making a apt the office was already aware of what situation I needed help with. And I'm sure there have been situations like mine with previous clients where in the end it ended up costing the taxpayer higher because of whatever needed to do done. So in no way was I looking for anyone to tell me "Hey it's gonna be $664 to file up front". How would they know? But I was expecting Kristy ** to advise when I came to her prior something on the lines of "hey I've seen this in similar situations this. Could be a bit costly" but no. That would be too honest I guess.

Here is my story - I went to Jackson Hewitt and was assisted by Kristy ** and Kyle **. I had come in to see Kristy prior and told her about my tax situation due to my job was not withholding correct state taxes. I had moved out of state. I advised I was scared I may owe and I'm a single parent (so apparently money was on my mind). At no point during my initial conversation prior to coming in for my tax apt was I advised that I had a "more complex situation" that may require a higher fee to prepare taxes (even if they did not know the cost upfront they knew we needed to use multiple forms which is what they're now stating drove the price up). So I made the appointment all I saw was a friendly person who was eager to help in Kristy. I went in, got my taxes done and in the end they charged me $664. I was beyond shocked.

When I began to look puzzled Kristy advised me "I know you're wondering why it's that high. It's because you have a lot of papers. It's a lot of work". Honestly my concern was had I known upfront the estimated cost in fees I could have then decided if I wanted to use their services or not but I was not given the option. No one brought up cost until it was over. Let alone I knew my tax situation was confusing but again I still believe I should have been told upfront. This may be a little more and let me decide beforehand if I am ok with the fees BEFORE she filed my taxes. She advised me I needed a lot of forms that drove the cost up but at no point did she stop and say "hey this is looking a little costly. Would you like me to continue"? To me this was dishonest and I will not be returning EVER. At Least when I went to HR BLOCK (whom Kristy complained about while I was there) I still knew no matter what my taxes would NOT skyrocket to over $600.

Again to be clear I am not stating Kristy does not deserve any compensation because she did file my taxes. I AM saying Kristy was dishonest and did not disclose the fees upfront (and again if she did not know the fees upfront that is fine too but I am not the first customer who sat in front of her with my case so she knew it would require multiple documents which in her case is worth the price. I should have been informed that before we started.) Had she done so then I could have choose to stay or leave and I would have left and went to HR Block. Next day - I called the location to speak to Kristy to disclose my concern. She told me "I could have just got up and left????". I understand that but I'm also not a ungrateful person.

I am a honest single mom and I was blindsided it did not take a rocket scientist to see when I came to her prior that I had a complex situation. She knew this so my thing is even if you didn't know the cost up front to tell me you knew I would not be paying a fee similar to a customer whom did not have my situation would be paying. I called Kristy to asked if my information was already accepted by the IRS. I would have reserved the services and went to Block but she stated it was so I could do nothing. I will be taking this further filing a complaint with *BBB *PA State Board of Accountancy.

I see Jackson Hewitt has a lot of complaints regarding fees. To make myself clear again Kristy knew my situation prior. She knew I was a single parent and worried about my tax situation due to my job. If it cost per documents as she described as to why my filing fee was so high why didn't she been stop. She told me to go get documents and kept stating before we began this is a lot. She should have said "I understand your situation but we do charge per document. Could cost a lot". Do you want to proceed? I was blindsided and I am hurt. I not only have to pay back taxes to PA due to my employment but a huge chunk of my taxes were taken $664. This was the Jackson Hewitt in Bloomsburg PA.

Jackson Hewitt Company Information