1.18/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1184 Jackson Hewitt Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I set up an appointment to go in for a tax refund advance on 1/3/2019. Got there early, everything was going great. Informed my tax preparer Brandi, that I may have a corrected 1099, So I only wanted to apply for the loans, not to submit my taxes. She assured me MULTIPLE times that we were not submitting my taxes because she "didn't want me to have to file an amendment if my 1099 was corrected." GREAT!! She gave me some paperwork to bring back in with me with my corrected 1099 to finish up my taxes and correct them if necessary. Finished up, signed for the loan, got an estimate of what my refund would be. Great day. I even got home and did the survey for her (ALL 10s). Next day, come to find out there was a computer system error for the refund advances and Jackson Hewitt needed to update their system and reprocess the loan.

Again I was reassured over the phone by Brandi that this was resubmitting the loan and my taxes are NOT BEING FILED and I still needed to bring in the paperwork she gave me and my corrected 1099 to submit my taxes. I called the customer service line a few hours later to try and make sure that there were no more errors, they tell me my loan is saved, but not resubmitted. They call Brandi, she assures them it's submitted. Ok, we go through this another 4 times that evening, customer service saying it isn't submitted, Brandi telling them that it is. Whatever at this point, it's either submitted or not, I don't even care at this point, I'd wait and see what happened. Got a denial email the next day, doesn't say which loan I was denied for, Brandi told me if I was denied for the "Go Big Refund Advance" that I'd need to click on a link in the email they send me, to change to the "No Fee Refund Advance". Look at the email, nothing to click on.

I called Brandi back, she said "they will send you a follow up email and the link will be in there". Not surprised at all, I never got a follow up email. I was done with Jackson Hewitt, they can't even tell me correct information about a loan application, why would I go back and finalize my taxes through them? No one can tell me which loan if not both I was denied for, tried customer service, Facebook, in store, and through MetaBank. I am done with Jackson Hewitt. So imagine my surprise when I get an email stating that the IRS has accepted my federal refund??? Surely not, I never submitted my taxes with Jackson Hewitt this year. Oh yeah, it was sent over. Called customer service again, was transferred around a few times, few different phone calls, finally got escalations. She assured me the regional manager of that location would contact me to resolve this.

Got a call from Fred, apparently in order to submit a refund advance with a 1099. The taxes HAVE to be submitted...and APPARENTLY my tax preparer informed me of this, even though she assured me multiple times that she was NOT submitting my taxes AND THAT I STILL HAD PAPERWORK SHE GAVE ME AND NEEDED IN ORDER TO SUBMIT THEM. He is happy to file an amended return if my 1099 is corrected, but there's nothing else he can do for me without a copy of a recording of Brandi telling me she was not submitting my taxes...

This is straight up FRAUD, I am being FORCED TO PAY THEIR FEES, and there is nothing in this world that would make me go back through Jackson Hewitt for anything, so now I am forced to pay for someone else to do an amended return, and my tax refund will be late because of this. Looking around Facebook and reviews, turns out I am not the only one this has happened to. Something needs to be done about this.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Pre-qualified for early refund advance. Went in yesterday and I filed Single, head of house, with (2) W-2 and dependents. That's it. No homeowner, no additional credits or deductions needed. Just a standard deduction. I was charged $450 for tax fees, another $79 for audit protection, and $49 refund assistance fee. $578 to file taxes that I've always filed for free. The only fee that was mentioned to me what the audit support and that was it. I assumed that was the only fee. He skipped through all the paperwork and did not allow me the time to read any documents.

Typically you're advised that this is your full return amount, this is our price and this is the difference that you will receive. That didn't happen here. I was led to believe the final number was the full amount the IRS was refunding, less $79. Never was I asked what "Tax package' I wanted to use. I NEVER would have selected a $450 option. This was plain out theft. This man saw that my income was only $30k last year with 5 dependents and tried to steal $578 from my return. Thankfully I used my paystubs and have not provided any W2's yet so I have the ability to cancel completely.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I filled out the online form to see if I pre-qualified for an advance. I was told I was pre-qualified for 2000.00. I specifically asked several times while my taxes was being prepared how much will I receive and the lady doing my taxes claims she didn't know the amount, that I will be notified within an hour of the amount I will get. We found out an hour later we were denied, but couldn't cancel because they had already filed for 435.00. This place is a scam.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Decided to go with Jackson Hewitt for tax preparation in 2018. Since I'm single, no dependents, they only needed to file the EZ forms for federal and state. Proceeded to complete my tax returns, have me sign them and then tell me that I was denied, because I was a 'first-time' filer. This year, they began by calling me to come in and early file my taxes, assured me that I qualified for an early advance because they already have all my documents from last year. I completed paperwork on Jan. 9, 2019--rep told me the $550.00 would be deposited into my bank account within two days. Two days pass--no deposit. I check my email and 27 minutes after I completed filing (Jan. 9th) Jackson Hewitt sends me a denial, saying Metabank denied my advance.

It's obvious that their employees have been 'trained' to lure unsuspecting customers in with false promises. They're making really good money off filing EZ forms--especially if you take the standard deduction. When you're a person who could use a little extra cash after the holidays (and you've worked hard all year paying Uncle Sam), why does this company repeatedly rob us? HAD THEY BEEN HONEST UP FRONT, I would not have filed my taxes with them again. Lesson definitely learned here; I won't fall for their phone calls and false promises of rapid returns.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Went to Jackson Hewitt office in Ocala FL 01/03/2019. I was a happy returning customer until 20min after prefixing my taxes. The person that did my prep was good until I asked about my advance that I get every year. No problem. It’s always the same deal. I do a prequalify online. They say yes, give me a quoted amount and book an appointment. You go in either prefile or file depending on what documents you have at the time of appointment. The tax preparer tells me the same thing I hear every year I go here. I’m preapproved of course. No concerned there.

I get my documents and my new temp serve card and told you will have your funds in as little as 10 min but can take up to 24hours. No big deal. About 20 min after I leave I receive an email not a text like I authorized from Jackson Hewitt saying I was denied my refund advance!!! Out pure disbelief I pull over and call not my office but the corporate number. The rep that I explained my issue to tells me. We don’t make the decision to approve or deny your advance. Meta Bank is our loan provider and has the final decision for approval. Excuse me. Then why is the email coming from JH and why is JH sending emails and then telling me online and in person I’m preapproved for 700 now and then 1700 when I complete my filing by submitting my w-2 when I get it??? You had me a card for my advanced funds to boot and it’s not my first advance with them.

So why isn't Meta Bank's name on the email and if that’s the case why is JH taking my info and telling me I’m preapproved. How do you know that if the decision/authority for approval is not yours. FYI they can’t charge you anything until you actually file meaning I will take my w-2 somewhere else and finish filing and JH will not see a dime of my money period! You can’t finalize without my paperwork.

I will give JH a fair chance to makes this right only because the office I go to is awesome and the people there are worth the high price. But that’s it. JH is lucky they have them or they wouldn’t have nothing. JH the ball's in your court. You made the statements of approval for funds. I expect it to be honored. If not maybe my lawyer can help y’all look over your emails and online statements just to make sure your font and bold lettering are in the correct places and the correct size. If that happens I’ll take my Business elsewhere and make sure not one person I know ever spends their hard earned money with you. MetaBank has an automated system prerecorded to tell all Denies that they are SOL and that’s final. That tells me they already had this previously planned to deny just about everyone this year and not being upfront about it. Hope Meta Bank cover JH loses this year.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jackson Hewitt?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I wish I had read other reviews before going to Jackson Hewitt! They did the same thing to my husband and I. We were told that the bank approved our refund advance, there was even a pending deposit in our bank account. It was late in the evening by this time, so we didn't think much of it. Woke up the next morning to no deposit in our bank account. Called to find out that we were denied. We asked 3 times if the advance was based in credit and were told no. Apparently it was. Because we get a sizable refund each year and were not approved for a couple hundred dollars. This was our first and last time going to Jackson Hewitt. $450 to prepare our taxes and we were lied to. Will stick to doing them yourself.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have filed my taxes using Jackson Hewitt for several years. As in years past I was contacted by phone and email stating I was pre-approved for refund advance loan. Nothing has changed much regarding my tax situation. I file my taxes and am asked to sign electronically several times never shown the tax preparers screen. Still, I was trusting as I've filed for many years without any real problems. I was told that I was approved for the advance but she didn't have the exact amount yet but that it would load shortly on the card I still had from last year. She goes to the printer, collects a stack of documents, staples them into a folder and hands the folder to me saying the funds should be loading anytime and I'll receive a text stating the amount, have a nice day.

After 2 hours had passed and nothing had loaded on my card I called and they said they were having computer issues. Give it another hour. Another 2 hours later I call and am told they are having to put some through again because of a computer glitch but I would have my money by the end of the day. I call back before the office closes and am told I was denied and they can't tell me why. I don't have any offsets or owe any money so zero'. How was I pre-approved, approved at the time she supposedly filed my tax info, then later at the end of business denied?

I feel like they are a sinking ship scamming people and using fraudulent practices just to get business. I have read many scary reviews for them and will be going in the morning to void my contract with them. To top it off I look in the folder and there are no copies of anything tax related. It's 50 pages of their fees and info on their so called advance. Since when do you not get a copy of your return? Serious red flags here. TurboTax here I come!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

On December 22nd I had an appointment to get a refund advance. I was lured in with a pre-approved letter. I get my taxes every year, but this year they set me up with my American Express card and said I would receive my advance in a few hours. Not even 20 minutes later I received a denial because last year they messed up on DOB so my information didnt match from last year. They told to come back with W2 and they would see if I qualify then. To be honest the only reason I use Jackson Hewitt is for the refund advance. Now I guess I'm going to save 450.00 because I will not be filing with Jackson Hewitt. Also they dont give you max credits that you deserve. They overcharge.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Never filed with JH before until I saw they do advance on tax return. I entered all my info ss# and all online. It told me I was approved and to take all my info in to tax advisor. I took a screenshot of approval. Went to see advisor at JH. She entered all my stuff. Turns screen around it says I'm approved. She gave me Amex card told me $475 will be on card in 24 hr and the rest will arrive when I bring back w2. Ok fine. I signed papers and left the store. 20 minutes later I got email from JH say MetaBank denied advance. They claim I may owe IRS. I call IRS and I owe them nothing. Now I'm upset. In just paid someone $450 to have someone else do my taxes based on a false approval. I usually file on my own with TurboTax should've stuck with that. I'll never do JH again. What they don't tell you is that everything is based on credit approval. Check the reviews I'm not the only one. I will not recommend anyone to JH.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I have done my taxes with Jackson Hewitt for 4 years. Got rapid refund every year but this got denied which I find odd since same employer same self-employment since 2001. I even got a phone call from office I used in past telling me I'm approved to come in on December 19, 2018. I go on 22nd and go through all of it since you have self-employment can't do anything until Jan 2nd. I asked how is the advance different from last year and year before and so on apparently it's not. I also found out the employee gets commission on each return and I was charged a fee advance on my return paperwork yet I got denied. This is illegal. Jackson Hewitt is fraud. Don't go. I won't finalize my return with them.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Jackson Hewitt in Jonesville NC I have been filing with this company every year and never got denied for their RAL loan. I went in the office in Jonesville Dec.26 and they messed up on my taxes so it took me 2 days to get an answer back whether I was approved or not so after all said in done they denied me after losing my info in their system so my advice never get your taxes done by people who lie to your face. Snake is a snake on concrete or in the grass.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I was at Jackson Hewitt on Dec 19th. Had a nice experience. Before I could leave my seat was approved for the advance without an, "Email or text Ms **." Very pleasant person, patient and caring Ms **, Ms ** also Ms **. 3815 eastern ave. Try this place. A lot more positive energy and welcoming women.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Worst experience ever. They have you in there for hours. Give you a ** Amex card. Tell you check in an hour!! But forget to tell you it’s totally up to the bank. They tell you create an account even before you leave the office. They ask you to set up text notifications to receive info about your loan. Who time you expecting an email/text about funds being deposited in an hour!! But oddly I receive an email 26 mins after leaving the office, "Congratulations you been prequalified,

but read down, "Sorry we couldn’t approve you." Total misleading people for business!! But a no one is gonna let Jackson Hewitt file their taxes if they not approved fees too HIGH!!! They need to be shut DOWN.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Went in for a appt at 12. Wasn’t seen until 3. Have gone to Jackson Hewitt for 6 years - have always got the refund advance. This year not only was I there for 4 hours I also got denied. They said I had offset but I 100 percent didn’t. I called the IRS then I called MetaBank. They said all decisions are final. So I contact Jackson Hewitt after seeing this has happened to numerous loyal customers. Jackson Hewitt tells me to come back and apply again in January and get a 3500 dollar loan. I told her that’s pointless - if I’m not Approved for 400 dollars I’m not going to be approved for 3500. This is a serious issue.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I was told I was prequalified for the refund advance , so i booked an appt. I went in there 12/19/18 at 440 pm for my 500 pm appt and sat for 3 hours even with an appt because they only had one worker and guess what, the advance was denied so I wasted 3 hours of my time for absolutely nothing and she didnt have the guts to tell me I didn't get approved for the up tp $400 because of how long I waited! Definitely not filing my taxes through them, turbo tax here I come again!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I went in today and was approved for a advance loan. 30 mins after the loan I was still in the office and I received an email telling me I was denied after being approved. I do this year after year for the last 18 years and the reason from the bank that I've paid off year after year through taxes was my income lowered...yeah by 40.00. I asked the agents. All they said was, "Try later. We're having computer issues." It was confirmed by the bank of denial. I guess this was a sign saying save the 500.00 J.H. fee and do my own taxes this year.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

2113 W Owen K Garriott Rd, Enid, OK - So I was prequalifed for $350 tax advance. I went to the office today. I waited 45 minutes after submitting my information to receive a card from a worker there who had written $150 on the back. I was expecting that amount to be deposited to your American Express card. I went to the store. The card declined. Happened to check my email to find out I wasn't approved. Why was I given the card with that amount then. I believe if you don't file year before you get denied. I usually always get approved. But last year I was only receiving a small amount not enough to let Jackson Hewitt file for me. This year I get denied. I believe they lure people in with pre-qualification results just to get business. I will stick with Turbo and continue to do my own taxes.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I used Jackson Hewitt for the first time. Worst experience I've ever had. I wasn't given a temp card, but received a permanent American Express card in the mail. Needless to say my refund was on that temp card and someone utilized all my refund. I requested it be replaced and the VP Jonathan closed my case. He basically called me a lie. I was charged for 2016 filings when the preparer told me my return was rejected and I had two options. We canceled the return and I completed it on my own. They went back and keyed in a 225 charge on that temp card I never received. Isn't that ironic? How do you have the card information but I don't have it? Not to mention my personal information was leaked and is being used. Unprofessional, thieves, liars and crooks! I'll never refer friends nor will I return to them ever.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I filed when we had the hurricane here and we could use our 2017 income. I did my taxes beforehand but because I had never filed when there was disaster relief I wanted to makes sure I had everything correct so I decided to go have them done at this company, and I will NEVER EVER EVER recommend this company to anyone, the lady working rushed was rude and rushed even more as people walked through the door, she was the only preparer working. I knew that I qualified for the exemptions for disaster relief such as pulling my 401K, she told me I did not qualify and I knew I did but she wouldn't listen. She never explained anything to me as we went along or at the end.

So when I left I went to another Jackson Hewitt and explained the situation and the guy told me I was right I did qualify for the exemption and explained all my paperwork, I asked him, "Since that means the preparer made a mistake and did not get my largest refund back does that mean the guarantee will be honored?" And he said, "You know you just might. That's a great question. Let me ask the owner and I will call you and let you know." The answer was NO. They were not honoring their false advertisement.

I called Corporate who said they have nothing to do with the franchises and I said, "UH YEAH YOU DO BECAUSE THE JACKSON HEWITT NAME IS ON THE FRANCHISE SO THEY ANSWER TO SOMEBODY and if it ain't you then you need to tell me who and give me the info." Well they opened 3 or 4 cases. Told I get called back within 72 hrs every time and NEVER did and Every time I called I was told the case was closed but nobody called me about anything! This is so ridiculous that these companies are ripping people off and NOTHING is being done, Consumer Rights don't matter anymore? I hope a class action suit is filed. I will be a part of that, it's not okay for companies to lie and make billions and not be held accountable!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I will not be using Jackson Hewitt ever again or will I recommend. Last year I went to Hewitt located in Hollywood FL and it’s the worse place to go. A pray that they gotten the lady Yvette with the dreads out of there. Speaking of unprofessional she’s the worse. She talks about you like you're not there. Calls you silly and talks to the customers like you a kid. I watched her make on employee stay after she told her she had a family emergency with her mom. The poor lady had tears in her eyes and had to do a lady 2 hr return. If you think the nasty ** let the employee leave hell no. Boy I tell you if it was me would’ve ran out that place. She told me and my husband we was silly for not having all the paperwork and that she couldn’t help us.

Since she turned us away we went up the street to H&R BLOCK. Had no problem at all. Hewitt needs to retrain their employee well at least the one EVETTE that works there. Jackson Hewitt responded to me but I felt what’s the use of responding back to them. I went to the Block. I was a customer of Hewitt for 20 years but that one lady Yvette ruined it. Now I’m a customer of the block. NEVER GO TO LET JACKSON HEWITT IN HOLLYWOOD FL OFFICE LOCATED ON HOLLYWOOD BLVD. RUDE UNPROFESSIONAL EMPLOYEE EVETTE.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I would like to start out by saying I'm a young business owner (24) and I don't have excess capital running around. I had ALWAYS used a private company to do my taxes until she retired and sold her business to H&R Block. I hadn't been thrilled with the fees I'd incurred once it switched to an H&R Block office. I was working at Home Depot when Jackson Hewitt secured a partnership thing with Home Depot for their employees. We all want to save money and so because of the discount I would get as a Home Depot employee filing through Jackson Hewitt, I jumped at the savings! When I called to file my extensions, the ignorant woman on the phone told me that you don't file extensions for LLC's. And that I was wrong and couldn't get an extension for my LLC. Form 7004 is the LLC tax extension through the IRS.

I had just been through a massive car accident and a house fire. Yes, both those devastating things in one year. I wasn't on top of my game and thought maybe I'd made a mistake. Maybe there isn't a form to file an extension for an LLC. Here I am a year later and the IRS slapped me with a $4,702.49 late penalty for not submitting an extension. Jackson Hewitt is crap, their representatives are obviously untrained non-professionals. I'm so frustrated, angry and disappointed that I would have been so misguided and taken advantage of in such a fashion. When choosing your tax professionals, Do Not and I repeat, DO NOT use Jackson Hewitt. Nothing but illiterate, bafoons that have no business handling things they know nothing about!!!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

My spouse and I were promised by Hewitt preparer if a mistake was made on tax forms Hewitt would be responsible. Now the company is denying that and we are stuck with $3,000 mistake made by Jackson Hewitt. We are on fixed income. Both retired and my husband is under tremendous stress how we will pay this.

Original review: July 20, 2018

My very first experience with Jackson Hewitt, and I have to say that I have never been so disappointed. I filed in March 2018 at the Walmart location with Evelyn. First of all she spelled my name incorrectly, I called later the same day to let her know. She replied by telling me that it will be corrected and mailed out the next day. I called about a week after just to verify that the correction was made, and I was told it wasn't. I was also told that it would not matter. (Ok then...) Being that it was not filed electronically, I knew that I had to wait 6-8 weeks before trying to follow up. The middle of May 2018 was when I finally started to follow up with Jackson Hewitt. Before I did that, I used the IRS refund tool online. I even went as far as to call the IRS but my documents were not there.

I then called Jackson Hewitt and was directed to another location as the one inside of Walmart was closed. I spoke with a lady named Donna located on Shaw. She confirmed that there was no record of my documents being mailed out. Can you imagine all the things running through my head? My family just moved out here to California and we were depending on this money to help us get a vehicle. All Donna said was to go to her office and sign more documents to have it go through the whole process of being mailed out again. So, I went to her office which is not near my house at all to sign papers that I had signed already 2 months ago. I was also reassured that I would be getting a phone call from a manager.

It is now July 2018 and no phone call yet. That is not all, after signing said documents, she told me it would be faster if I went down to the IRS myself to drop off the documents. How dare she? Because of that I asked for a reimbursement of the fee because I was now doing their job. Instead of assisting me and giving me peace of mind all she kept telling me, was to see her personally next year so that she could assist me. I am trying to complete this year, and there will not be a next year. She said if I went to her this wouldn't happen again.

I went down to the IRS as I was told but was dumbfounded when I got there... I had to mail it in. They did not accept it just being dropped off. So, now Donna gave me information that was not verified! Let me remind you, I have no vehicle. It took me 2 buses to get to her office then 2 to get to the IRS then 2 back home. Now it is a problem for me. With so many situations of identity theft, I was so upset that I had to mail out a second set of tax papers. I called the IRS to find out if they received my documents at the end of June 2018. When they told me that they did, I also had to verify that it was only one. I did not want to take the chance of getting in trouble for filing twice because of Evelyn at Jackson Hewitt.

My family and I trusted your company and brand that you represent with very sensitive and important information. How upsetting. You would think, that if a mistake was done on their end that they would call to follow up. Oh no, do not hold your breath for Jackson Hewitt to provide excellent customer service. I was the one that called when I finally received my tax in July 2018. I wanted to ask if they had already started the process to reimburse me for the fee which was $299.95 by the way. I called Donna, and she sounded confused. So again I had to explain the whole situation. Really, things like this should be documented. I understand that I am not your only customer but don't be so unprofessional about it.

Great even just good customer service would have been her calling me to reassure me that she had already begun the process of my reimbursement. That is the least that they could have done! Then I was told that I would only get $250 back because they can't reimburse me for the direct deposit fee. What??? Are you kidding me, so reimburse me for all my bus ticket fees then and all the time I had to take out of my busy day to help you do your job. How inconsiderate of them.

Never again will I conduct business with Jackson Hewitt. A little piece of advice, you work for a tax preparation company like so many others out there. You provide all the same products and similar services. Prices are almost similar as well. Customer service is what brings customers back. It is so easy to get customers but retaining customers is what keeps the business going. So yes, you got me as a customer (first time) and I will no longer be one. A total waste of time and money.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Bayshore office, Port St. Lucie, Fl. A husband and wife team, wife's name is Stella. They have had my taxes about 1 month, Stella called me and said could I pay her $264 for redoing my 2015 taxes, weeks ago, now that I have the money to pay them, they will not return my phone calls. They know what a dire situation I am in. I will be getting in touch with IRS next.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Dont ever use Jackson Hewitt to file your taxes, they are a bunch of idiots (right from the tax filing agent to the customer service people), worst experience of my lifetime. I opted to file my 2017 year's taxes using Jackson Hewitt because they had a season office opened up in Walmart, which was close to my house. First, my E-file did not go through, they had some issues with their tax software, and I was promised by the agent that it would be taken care of. Fast-forward 2 months, I call the IRS (as I did not receive my state refund even after 2 months). IRS tell me that they did not receive my tax papers yet.

Called the Jackson Hewitt customer service team almost every day. They could not even figure out if my taxes were filed electronically or if it was paper filing. Finally they said they would get a manager to give me a call. All the while I've been calling the Jackson Hewitt customer support. Got a case ticket created, but no response, all I get to hear is the manager is going to call you. After 10 days of chasing, calling every day, finally the manager Mr. David ** (or something from Atlanta team) calls me and explains me that they have issues with their software and they cannot do E-filing (this you get to hear after 2 months after the tax deadline). HORRIBLE TAX SERVICE COMPANY. They need to be sued for taking customers for a ride. Never use them. Stay away from them... A big mistake doing business with them. I would have given a ZERO star, but that option is not there in this website.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I filed my taxes Feb 5, 2018. It's now May 18, 2018! I'm highly disappointed with their services. My tax preparer was the worst, it was my first time filing taxes. I'm 19 yrs old and I feel like she came over on me. I was charged so much for everything... Every time I try to check my refund status it says they cannot tell me anything about my taxes. SMH I can't believe they screwed up this bad. I went up there and filed by myself and told her specifically I am not on my mom's taxes anymore. Somehow I ended up being added on to her taxes and that's what screwed everything up for.

The crazy part is my mom just got her taxes 4 days ago and she filed before me and the same lady messed hers up. She went thru a lot to get her taxes and everything for her was screwed up. They sent in an envelope for her to fix the preparer's mistakes and said it will take up to 16 wks for them to even look at the envelope. I haven't heard anything about my taxes. All I know for this long wait I'm getting extra or I'm gonna put them thru hell with my auntie's lawyer. I hope Jackson Hewitt can see this. You guys screwed up the wrong taxes! Don't ever file with JH. Their services are the worst. I'm going to Turbo Tax next time. I wish I did that in the first place. I hate Jackson Hewitt and their preparers who does not know what the heck they're doing!!!

Original review: May 8, 2018

These people totally overcharge for what they do, and make mistakes that causes delays in refunds. Main reason used them was to expedite return (2017 IRS tax return). Seriously could have done better myself. Advise people to check around and get estimates before deciding who to use.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Would not recommend anyone going to Jackson Hewitt... filed my taxes February 15, 2018. This is May 7, 2018 and still no return... even took this matter to corporate and they are as unprofessional as their tax preparer. Was told I would get a phone call in 72 hours. Two weeks later I was told the person handling the case closed it... without a phone call or anything from Jackson Hewitt. So here I sit 3 months later got charged $350.00 and no return and no answer... oh except I have wait another 16 weeks for my return. NOW IF THAT ISN'T POOR BUSINESS... I don't know what is. Matter of fact that's pretty sorry and inexcusable!!!

Updated on 06/01/2018: So after writing a review a month ago and going back and forth with the so called customer service escalation dept still nothing resolved. I also got another letter from the IRS about a miscalculated 1040x form... doesn't surprise me. Jackson Hewitt is a joke and a rip off. I got charged for my check to be automatically deposited to my account and I received my check in the mail. The only response I have got is from another tax preparer that had no business giving a response. Corporate or regional manager has done nothing but cause me a lot of grief.

I filed my taxes on February the 15th and after all the unprofessional and mistakes made by Jackson Hewitt... I get my return finally on May 25th. They owe me my fees back and some because I am doing everything possible to close them down. Jackson Hewitt in the state of Tenn. you are not welcome and after looking at all the complaints all over the internet it won't take much... YOU'RE DONE!!!

Original review: April 27, 2018

What else is there to say? 7 straight years with no federal refund problems and they mess it up and get me audited. Still no return. Office closed, clothing store for the summer and fall about to be set up - except for this time I’m going right to Liberty Tax or H&R Block. ** them, they just steal your money and don’t care. I needed that money, I can’t believe these people!

Original review: April 26, 2018

Charged too much money and never got a copy of the work they did. Said "Go to this form and enter to pull up info" and it wouldn't let me do anything. Not happy. Would like my tax prep fee back and the 100 I should of got for switching.

Jackson Hewitt expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

Jackson Hewitt started out as an in-person only tax service provider, but in 2010 the company expanded with the launch of Jackson Hewitt Online. The online tax software service is aimed at those taxpayers that are comfortable preparing and filing taxes themselves, which introduced the Jackson Hewitt brand to a new market.

• In-person option: Jackson Hewitt offers both online and in-person tax preparation services.

• Expanded online support: All Jackson Hewitt online packages come with free unlimited live chat support.

• Great price for freelancers: The Premium package, which is designed for 1099 contract employees and freelancers, is priced significantly lower than some competitors.

• Phone support: Phone support is available with the premium package.

• Website: The JacksonHewittOnline.com website is very basic.

• Best for: Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

Jackson Hewitt Company Information