Jackson Hewitt

Written by
Author picture
Edited by

About Jackson Hewitt

Founded in 1982, Jackson Hewitt is a tax preparation service for individuals and businesses alike. Taxpayers can choose to file themselves with a flat fee or use a tax pro to file for them for an additional cost. There are over 5,500 locations across the country, including 3,000 Walmart locations. Jackson Hewitt also offers tax resolution services for tax issues like penalty abatements and liens.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Flat fee for DIY taxes
  • Guarantees
Cons
  • Tax resolution fees not published
  • Tax resolution not in all states

Featured Reviews

Verified
Douglasville, GA

It was a fast and pleasant experience. She was very friendly and professional and made sure I got every tax credit I could and made my experience very nice. I will most definitely...

Verified
Whatley, AL

My tax preparer Stephanie is awesome! She is thorough and answers all my questions — if she doesn't know she will go find out! She goes the extra mile for her clients. Hope she pr...

What is Jackson Hewitt?

Jackson Hewitt offers both do-it-yourself tax preparation software and in-person tax services with tax professionals. Pricing varies depending on which service you choose, but both options come with maximum refund and accuracy guarantees. You can add on audit support for an additional cost.

If you're facing IRS issues such as back taxes or property liens, Jackson Hewitt's tax resolution Services can help. You get a free consultation, and then pricing for these additional services varies based on your specific needs. Tax resolution services are available in all states except Minnesota and New Hampshire. Additionally, it cannot offer the state offer in compromise (OIC) service to clients in Illinois.

How does Jackson Hewitt work?

If you choose to file your taxes online, the company will guide you through the process, offering free, live chat support if you need it. You can switch between desktop and mobile filing, so you can file anywhere. Jackson Hewitt also offers W-2 downloads from your employer to make filing faster and will alert you if there is an error that needs to be addressed.

For in-person filing, you make an appointment at a Jackson Hewitt location and bring your tax documents. There is also an option to drop off your tax documents, and the tax pro will schedule a 15-minute call later on to go over everything.

Jackson Hewitt services

Instead of offering different tiers like its competitors, Jackson Hewitt offers two main tax preparation services: in-person and online. For online tax prep, it is a flat fee for all tax situations.

For in-person services, customers can choose between visiting a Jackson Hewitt building or a Walmart location that has a Jackson Hewitt office. For either of these locations, there is also a drop-off-and-go option, where you make an appointment to drop off your tax documents without needing to make a return visit. Your tax pro will schedule a 15-minute call, and once everything is finalized, you will be able to e-sign your return.

Jackson Hewitt pricing

Jackson Hewitt charges a flat $25 fee for online filing for any tax situation. This fee includes both federal and state returns and is accurate as of the time of publishing.

Additionally, you can choose to add on audit support for an additional $29.95 and opt to pay with your refund for an extra $24.95.

In-person filing starts at $65 at Walmart, but you need to inquire at one of the locations to get the exact cost for your tax situation.

Jackson Hewitt FAQ

Does Jackson Hewitt offer guarantees?

Customers are entitled to a maximum refund guarantee, 100% accuracy guarantee and satisfaction guarantee. Some of these guarantees have time limits, though, so be sure to read the company’s policy on guarantees. Guarantee coverage can also differ for in-person versus online filing.

Does Jackson Hewitt offer refund advances?

Yes, some customers are eligible for up to a $4,500 tax refund advance, depending on their expected refunds. However, these refund advance options are usually only available from January to February of that tax filing year as an incentive for early filers.

How long does it take to get a refund with Jackson Hewitt?

If you e-file a complete and accurate return and choose to have your refund deposited by direct deposit, then you should receive your refund from the IRS within two weeks. Different filing options and refund selections can add an additional two to four weeks to this timeline.

How do I get a copy of my return with Jackson Hewitt?

You can get a copy of your return either in person or online, depending on how you filed. If you filed at a location that uses the Electronic Signature & Storage (ESS) system (i.e., you electronically signed your return), then you should be able to access your return through your Jackson Hewitt account. If you didn’t electronically sign your return, you can request a copy in person with proper identification.

Is Jackson Hewitt legit?

Jackson Hewitt is a legitimate tax company that has been around for over 40 years. It has helped customers file over 60 million returns. It has weekend and night hours, as well as live chat support, so it is possible to reach a tax pro no matter how you choose to file.

Jackson Hewitt Reviews

Stars Rating

• 38%
  • 54%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jackson Hewitt?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jackson Hewitt?
    Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed May 8, 2024

Preparer was thorough and very helpful. Spent extra time helping us sort out expenses. 5 stars for prep. However, got letter from IRS stating that there was an error on the return. No response from preparer, emailed, called, left voicemails. We need this corrected! Our state refund was reduced by over $500 because a crucial document was not submitted. Husband and I both in wheelchairs with significant medical bills. In our circumstance, the state gives you credit, if you meet their criteria to make modifications to help you retrofit your home. There is a certificate that has to be included, it was not. No response!

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed April 5, 2024

We had our taxes done in McMinnville Tn by representative Kim ** and she was wonderful. She went above and beyond when my son’s tax return was rejected. She contacted the correct people to get the issue corrected and his taxes resubmitted. She was very nice and professional. I would recommend Jackson Hewitt and representative Kim ** to everyone that is needing a professional tax service and an efficient one that is willing to make sure the customer leaves their appointment feeling confident that if an issue arises it will be taken care and quickly.

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Profile pic of the author.
      Staff

Reviewed Feb. 25, 2024

My Wife, & I, have been getting our taxes done with Jackson Hewitt for the last 20 years. We have always gone to the same location, 1512 Lowes Blvd Ste 105, Killeen, TX 76542. The preparers there have done an outstanding job. We had our taxes done there today. 24FEB24, our preparer was **. She was very resourceful and professional. Some of our information from past years was input wrong. She meticulously took her time and went over our paperwork, and corrected it. We greatly appreciate it. JOB WELL DONE!!!! :)

Installation & SetupPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Feb. 13, 2024

We had scheduled an appointment at the Beaverton, OR office, but the office was locked when we arrived, and the tax preparer was late. Another person was ahead of us and the preparer took over a hour with them. Although we had a confirmed appointment, we left after waiting an hour and called Jackson Hewitt. To their credit, we were given a same day appointment at another office, and met a very helpful & friendly tax preparer. He completed our return in about 45 minutes. I can highly recommend both Jackson Hewitt and Nace **.

Staff

Reviewed Feb. 7, 2024

So kind and helpful. Like to have her back next year. I really like her and hope she can be there every year so please have her back every year. Thank you. Praise. I mean what more can you say about Jessica? She said she's a real nice sweet lady. She's outgoing, outspoken. I love her smile. Like I said her personality and how she treated me and she helped me through a lot of stuff today so I appreciate Jessica and I would like to see her again next year and the year after that.

Reviewed June 10, 2024

I filed my taxes in Jan. They double charged me, which I entitled to a reimbursement. It is June, and I've not received anything!! I never was helped, just got the runaround. I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING THEM. THEY HAVE JUST LOST A CUSTOMER!!

Price

Reviewed May 24, 2024

This company is a complete fraud. They promised to reduce my tax burdens to pennies on the dollar. In fact I get hit with the more penalties and interest and had to pay more. I negotiated on my own with the feds and with the state and got a much better deal. Don't use them.

Customer Service

Reviewed May 22, 2024

We went to Jackson Hewitt for 2021 taxes. We had the taxes amended because the preparer missed a form. She only amended the federal this year. We were sent notification we owed 2203.00 to state she neglected to amend. Jackson Hewitt refused to help us. They could have negotiated with the IRS on our behalf and or gave the fees owed due to their error. They won’t return phone calls and when we saw a gentleman by the name Sam he said nothing he could do, just pay it!!!

PriceStaff

Reviewed May 21, 2024

I would give negative star review if could as 1 star is as low as I can go. They charged me $300 and only did 1/2 job. When realized they'd lied to me about sending off, went back to Springfield TN office and employee there told me that her manager had put in mail herself to make sure got sent off.. yet ANOTHER LIE! PLEASE PLEASE learn from my stupidity!!! RUNNN!!! Have NOTHING to do with these horrible lying thieves!!!! Do NOT believe or trust them..

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed May 10, 2024

I did my taxes myself for free and wound up owing Federal so I thought I'd go to professional and have them to do it and hopes of a better result. Not only did I get the exact same result as doing it myself but she tried to charge me $350 that's almost as much as I owed in Federal. And what was the worst of all is that she did not give me my driver's license back! She did call a couple of times but I was at work and unable to answer the phone.

I did return the message several times for a span of 3 weeks. No one would ever answer the phone. I even left several messages asking them to mail my driver's license to my house and got nothing in return. I had to go purchase another driver's license. If they are this careless with a driver's license I would really hate for them to have government documents in their hands that belong to me. I'm so grateful that I backed out on letting them do my taxes. They cost a lot of hardship by not getting my driver's license back to me.

Jackson Hewitt Company Information