1.18/5
Based on 124 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1162 Jackson Hewitt Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

Dont ever use Jackson Hewitt to file your taxes, they are a bunch of idiots (right from the tax filing agent to the customer service people), worst experience of my lifetime. I opted to file my 2017 year's taxes using Jackson Hewitt because they had a season office opened up in Walmart, which was close to my house. First, my E-file did not go through, they had some issues with their tax software, and I was promised by the agent that it would be taken care of. Fast-forward 2 months, I call the IRS (as I did not receive my state refund even after 2 months). IRS tell me that they did not receive my tax papers yet.

Called the Jackson Hewitt customer service team almost every day. They could not even figure out if my taxes were filed electronically or if it was paper filing. Finally they said they would get a manager to give me a call. All the while I've been calling the Jackson Hewitt customer support. Got a case ticket created, but no response, all I get to hear is the manager is going to call you. After 10 days of chasing, calling every day, finally the manager Mr. David ** (or something from Atlanta team) calls me and explains me that they have issues with their software and they cannot do E-filing (this you get to hear after 2 months after the tax deadline). HORRIBLE TAX SERVICE COMPANY. They need to be sued for taking customers for a ride. Never use them. Stay away from them... A big mistake doing business with them. I would have given a ZERO star, but that option is not there in this website.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 13, 2018

I decided to try Jackson Hewitt because I had paid my CPA for 2016 $250.00 and the sign at Walmart showed starting at $40. I made my first appt for 2/5/2018 and had to sit and wait for the agent for over 30 minutes! She was very unprofessional and filed my taxes incorrectly; she forgot to enter all of my contributions of which I gave her my documents! She stated that I owed the IRS $2,661.00 and then proceeds to state that I had to pay $334.00 for her sorry services. So I made another appt for 2/12/2018 to get an amended tax forms of which this agent found that I only owed $511.00. So I sent my check certified mail to the IRS on 2/13/2018 of which they cashed my check on 2/21/2018! Then June 9, 2018 I received a letter from the IRS stating that I owed them $2,186.28 with failure to pay fees and interest charges.

So I set up another appt for Tuesday, June 12, 2018 for 10:00 am; of which I arrived at 9:45 and the office was closed; so I stood outside in the heat waiting until 10:10 am and called the number provided to ask where was the agent? I was told that she was stuck in traffic and on her way. I stood outside waiting until 10:25 am when she finally arrived. After expressing my frustrations; all the agent who was not professionally dresses told me "she would look into my issue?" So after calling the IRS and waiting another 10 minutes just to get an agent; the agent confirms that they had received the amended tax forms on 2/17/2018 but that it had not been processed yet? And that it might take up to 30 days to process?

I left the Jackson Hewitt office at 11:05 am. I got home and decided to call for a supervisor to request my refund for the time that I'd spend printing all my documents and having to wait outside their office for the agent; come to find out the agent was the supervisor and that she would file my request for a refund but that the lady who does them only looks at them once a month? And that I'd have to wait?? Then the very next day, at 9:00 am I received an email from Jackson Hewitt, stating "we missed you?" So I called them to state that I was at the appt the previous day and she just said that it was automatically sent??? This company is a poor excuse of a company and are not knowledgeable about how to file your taxes correctly! Do not waste any time with them or pay for their sorry services! You will regret it! I certainly did!!

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I filed my taxes Feb 5, 2018. It's now May 18, 2018! I'm highly disappointed with their services. My tax preparer was the worst, it was my first time filing taxes. I'm 19 yrs old and I feel like she came over on me. I was charged so much for everything... Every time I try to check my refund status it says they cannot tell me anything about my taxes. SMH I can't believe they screwed up this bad. I went up there and filed by myself and told her specifically I am not on my mom's taxes anymore. Somehow I ended up being added on to her taxes and that's what screwed everything up for.

The crazy part is my mom just got her taxes 4 days ago and she filed before me and the same lady messed hers up. She went thru a lot to get her taxes and everything for her was screwed up. They sent in an envelope for her to fix the preparer's mistakes and said it will take up to 16 wks for them to even look at the envelope. I haven't heard anything about my taxes. All I know for this long wait I'm getting extra or I'm gonna put them thru hell with my auntie's lawyer. I hope Jackson Hewitt can see this. You guys screwed up the wrong taxes! Don't ever file with JH. Their services are the worst. I'm going to Turbo Tax next time. I wish I did that in the first place. I hate Jackson Hewitt and their preparers who does not know what the heck they're doing!!!

Original review: May 8, 2018

These people totally overcharge for what they do, and make mistakes that causes delays in refunds. Main reason used them was to expedite return (2017 IRS tax return). Seriously could have done better myself. Advise people to check around and get estimates before deciding who to use.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Would not recommend anyone going to Jackson Hewitt... filed my taxes February 15, 2018. This is May 7, 2018 and still no return... even took this matter to corporate and they are as unprofessional as their tax preparer. Was told I would get a phone call in 72 hours. Two weeks later I was told the person handling the case closed it... without a phone call or anything from Jackson Hewitt. So here I sit 3 months later got charged $350.00 and no return and no answer... oh except I have wait another 16 weeks for my return. NOW IF THAT ISN'T POOR BUSINESS... I don't know what is. Matter of fact that's pretty sorry and inexcusable!!!

Updated on 06/01/2018: So after writing a review a month ago and going back and forth with the so called customer service escalation dept still nothing resolved. I also got another letter from the IRS about a miscalculated 1040x form... doesn't surprise me. Jackson Hewitt is a joke and a rip off. I got charged for my check to be automatically deposited to my account and I received my check in the mail. The only response I have got is from another tax preparer that had no business giving a response. Corporate or regional manager has done nothing but cause me a lot of grief.

I filed my taxes on February the 15th and after all the unprofessional and mistakes made by Jackson Hewitt... I get my return finally on May 25th. They owe me my fees back and some because I am doing everything possible to close them down. Jackson Hewitt in the state of Tenn. you are not welcome and after looking at all the complaints all over the internet it won't take much... YOU'RE DONE!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jackson Hewitt?

Original review: April 27, 2018

What else is there to say? 7 straight years with no federal refund problems and they mess it up and get me audited. Still no return. Office closed, clothing store for the summer and fall about to be set up - except for this time I’m going right to Liberty Tax or H&R Block. ** them, they just steal your money and don’t care. I needed that money, I can’t believe these people!

Original review: April 26, 2018

Charged too much money and never got a copy of the work they did. Said "Go to this form and enter to pull up info" and it wouldn't let me do anything. Not happy. Would like my tax prep fee back and the 100 I should of got for switching.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Can't get my refund due to ignorance on the preparers' part - I was very dissatisfied with their service. The preparer was not well educated and seemed more interested in me than my taxes. She completely screwed up my tax form and I had to redo it with another preparer and then he screwed it up again. So now after 4 months of waiting my taxes still have not shown up. So to anyone thinking of using these idiots I strongly recommend H&R Block or anyone else. My 3 year old could get it done for you in way less time and better handwriting. ☺

Original review: April 19, 2018

I normally don't complain due to me being a retired Navy Veteran but the way I have been treated at your Chenal Parkway establishment has been the worst I have dealt with. Held on to my tax paperwork for 3 weeks. Lack of communication all around. Managment sent me a letter instead of calling me to inform me of what is going on. Ms. ** has been rude in her letter to me by ending it with “Thanks!” Why is she thanking me in a letter that she is trying explain why she is charging me all these extra fees from previous years that I already paid. I even showed the receipt to her. I will never use your tax services again and I will not recommend any of my fellow Veterans use it either. Also I still haven't received my income tax check as of 19APR18.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I went to The Jackson Hewitt office in Jackson on April 14th 2017, as my computer was inoperative. They had done taxes for me in the years when I was working and I never paid more than $50. I should have asked, but I thought they couldn't charge a lot to a person on social security with two annuities that were under $720; and I had all the figures and 1099s in order and itemized. The total was over $300 and with some bull crap discounts like seeing an advertisement on TV it was brought down to $287 which is outrageous for a senior's small income. I had been doing it on Taxact for under $20, and it was $29 this year on Turbotax. That's gouging. Needless to say, I'll never use them again.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Jackson Hewitt of Turnersville NJ (inside the Walmart Supercenter) prepared my taxes this year. The woman seemed very uneducated about the entire process. She had my fiancé (who was there and provided a driver's license) listed as my child. She called her manager during the appointment to double check her work. After we were done and had been issued our state and federal returns, we took our taxes to a different Jackson Hewitt office. They could not believe how badly this woman messed up our returns. The state was off by over $400. And the federal was off by over $600. So they filed amendments and now we are again waiting for returns. The good news is we will be getting our $1000+ back. The bad news is we paid this ridiculous office hundreds of dollars to short us $1000+. Thank goodness we felt so unsure of her work that we had a different office double check it. She should be fired.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Went for the first time, the average cost is between$ 60.00 and $100.00 but after the preparer completed the process she ask me if I want to have it mailed or direct deposit. Then I was hit with a$ 419.00 charge for just filing for a 1600.00 return. No extras. Please clarify this as this isn't fair.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Took advantage of us. Paid $400 for a messed up return. They say they take customer service seriously, but it is a lie. They don't care. If there is a problem, the customer is blamed and accused. Corporate management is no help. Their guarantee is useless. Sad that no one is holding them accountable for their actions.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Arrived for my 11 AM appointment a few minutes early, but ended up waiting for an hour and 15 minutes with my 1-year-old. Preparer zipped pretty quickly through my return, got me an ok refund. Then tells me his service will cost $459!! Should have walked out, but after investing so much dang time and the deadline so close, I filed. I expressed how unbelievable that rate was, and he justified it with "due diligence and liability". I've worked in taxes before, and in no way is that a legitimate charge for an easy 1040. Still in contact with corporate, whom are not much better to deal with so far. Preparer called me like some hero to say he thinks I was overcharged. Went in to see him and he hands me a $100 bill. Struck me odd, unprofessional. After discussing JH's "business" ethics a little more, I put the bill on his desk and told him I'd take my chances with a remedy from corporate.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I am very disappointed with Jackson Hewitt Tax Services and I will never use their service again! First of all the tax preparer screwed up my taxes, I filed Feb. 2nd and did not receive my very small refund until April 12th. She was on the phone with her boyfriend while filling my taxes talking about her drama, very unprofessional! They charged me an outrageous amount in fees. I have never been so disgusted and I hope they lose their business license!

Original review: April 14, 2018

This is the biggest scam ever. Please make as many people aware of this scam as possible. My friend was ripped off and taken advantage of. On top of that, the return was not done correctly and they are refusing to honor their "guarantee". Paid $400 for a basic tax return. That is highway robbery. They do not inform you of the charges until they are done with the return, then threaten you if you don't pay them. We have to hire someone else to fix the mistakes. Terrible customer service. They are out to rip off the uneducated public. I hope they get investigated for their unethical business practices. Someone needs to report this company.

Updated on 04/15/2018: Someone I do not know has contacted me online and said the person we tried to receive help from at the JH location told management we called her inappropriate names that was against her race. I'm actually shocked and saddened to hear this. They have sunk to a new low. We would never say such a thing to anyone. As upsetting as the situation was, that would have been uncalled for and it never happened. No one would deserve to be called a nasty name, especially against their race. Ever.

I can't believe this honestly. First, steal their money, refuse to fix a tax return and then accuse them of calling them an inappropriate name. All we can do is pray for people like this. There is enough anger to go around and not enough prayers. I don't know what this lady is thinking or why she would make up such lies. I know her job must be difficult. Keep this lady in your prayers please. People, be careful. You might want to think about recording all of your conversations when dealing with this company. If anything should go south, they will lie and make up stories, blame you and refuse to help you... And worse, make up lies about you afterwards. Good luck to you JH. You should be ashamed of yourself for what you are doing to the American people. It is only a matter of time before the Lord comes.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Jackson Hewitt says they will give you $20.00 for each client you give them. If you believe that you will believe anything. The person who sent me did not get his to this day which has been 2 years now. I took 2 people in and only got one $20 payment. They claim I got other things? That is not what their sign says. After talking to the Corporate Office and not getting what was promised some of my friends say the signs are gone. Still no payment. Good grief. Are they so crooked that they can't abide by their agreements? As much as they outrageously charge you would think they would?

Original review: April 10, 2018

We have had our taxes prepared at Jackson Hewitt (44th and Wadsworth location) for over 10+ years. This is the WORST customer service we have ever received! They lie to cover up their mistakes and will never let you speak to a Manager much less give you their number. We have spent over 5 hours in trying to get the problem resolved only to be told that our taxes still were not done! And they wanted to blame us... Do not recommend them at all.

Updated on 04/13/2018: Well, here I am again. On April 11th the customer care department said they would have someone contact me in 24-48 hours (I was hopeful) and I have heard from NO ONE yet. It has now been over 48 hours. Guess they really don't care about wanting our business!

Original review: April 6, 2018

Hi. I am trying to book an appointment for at 1301 N Congress Ave, and the answer that I am getting since early these morning is please dont come, I understand you must be busy, the only thing that I can think is you dont want people to continue using your tax services. I apologise if I disturb these morning, I will try to find another place.

Original review: April 6, 2018

We had appointment yesterday at Brockport Wal-Mart, we had been called twice to confirm. We left the area at 4:10 ten minutes after our appointment time. If you were not going to be there on time you could have called us. But no, we were not that important to you. But that is ok, H&R Block took us in without an appointment and we were able to get them done. I will be sure to tell my story as often as possible.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I scheduled an appointment for this morning with Jackson Hewitt at their request after they called me two days ago. I showed up ahead of time and waited and waited and waited. The tax preparer did not show up nor did I receive a phone call to cancel my appointment. The weather here today was very bad and I thought about canceling but did not want to do that to them. They, however, had no such consideration for me. I tried calling but was unable to connect to a person. I then went to H&R Block and they did my tax return without an appointment. I would not recommend Jackson Hewitt to anyone and will never use them again.

Original review: April 4, 2018

The beginning of this year they illegally filed my tax return with false information and without my permission. They said it was a glitch in their computer system which I don't believe. I have been going thru hell trying to get them to refund my fees which still have not been refunded and trying to get them to amend my tax return. I have spoken to several district managers who are very unprofessional and have lack customer service. I call them and have leave messages with several district managers and no phone call gets returned. I have sent so many emails to the district managers and still get no response. I have wasted so much of my time and even missed work due to the fact that they did this to me and caused so much stress in my life over this. I have children that I trade off every year and this year it was their father's year to file and he couldn't even Efile his return because of their mistake and now has to wait months to even get his return.

Original review: April 1, 2018

My wife and I have used Jackson Hewitt (Debbie **) for 3 years and have felt that our returns were prepared correctly until this year. We found that there were many mistakes made and so I contacted our tax person to let her know. She said that she would go through our return with a fine tooth comb. That was a few weeks ago and we have not heard from her. We are very disappointed!

Original review: March 29, 2018

Went to JH for the first time, and was way overcharged, did not receive 100.00 switch. Was told that the district manager would call me and have not heard from anyone... I am beyond mad, I need my money and they more or less stole it. PLEASE PLEASE do your taxes yourself or take them to H&R Block!!! JH are SCAMMERS!!!

Original review: March 28, 2018

I have gone to Jackson Hewitt now for 3 years, I thought at some point they would appreciate my business and my bill would become stable. They have gone up on my taxes being prepared all 3 years, to the point that I just paid them 430.00 dollars to do a 30 min job. I just thought that a repeat customer would be shown that they appreciate my business. I did not get that feeling at all, wish I had been smart enough to find another service sooner before I felt scammed by this company. Believe me I will find someone else next year, and will spend the rest of my life telling people not to use Jackson Hewitt as a tax service.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I had my taxes done with Jackson Hewitt - Modesto, CA office. I was PREQUALIFIED for the tax advance for $500.00. I brought that form with me to my appointment and showed my tax lady. She said I "should get approved then." When my taxes were done, she told me it would cost me $540.00 to file a simple one W2 ez1040 tax return. I normally do my own taxes but needed that advance to pay a bill, so went ahead and accepted their fee to complete my FEDERAL ONLY.

Shortly after I left that night from my appointment I received a email saying I did not get the advance. I feel this company does a SCAM with those advances, they prey on people's desperate moment with that advertising of ADVANCE MONEY NOW, and do not tell them the criteria they need to meet to get approved. When seeing online if you are approved for it they ask for your SSN# so if you can print that approval and show them you should get it. After receiving my taxes I did write a review on my horrible broken promise I received from Jackson Hewitt, and was contacted by a "MANAGER" of Jackson Hewitt by the name of MELISSA. She listen to my story and stated they would return my fee, and I would hear back from her within 48 hours.

Two weeks passed and never heard from her again. I tried following up with her and could never reach her by phone. Other so-called Managers from the same office in MODESTO told me they did not feel comfortable helping me since MELISSA was the one who spoke to me first. One of the MODESTO "Managers" was named TRISHA, and she went as far as to yell at me and then HUNG UP ON ME. I then proceeded to contact JH Corporate office via Facebook messenger as instructed by their corporate office recording.

I did receive a lot of help from a "unnamed" girl, but again my complaint went unresolved. Yesterday I called corporate and filed a complaint against all of the MODESTO office and was told that I would receive a call within 48 hours AGAIN, TWO hours later I received a call from MELISSA at the MODESTO office who told me they would not be refunding me my money since they did my taxes right! I did tell her she was 2 weeks late at returning my call, and I already filed another complaint with corporate. She informed me that she is the one that would be handing that complaint as well. I ended the call. If I do not receive any help from Consumer Affairs or BBB, I plan to do a CHARGEBACK with my bank. IN CLOSING: Do not get roped into using this company EVER! When there is a problem they won't help you or return calls or even care for that matter. VERY DISSATISFIED.

Original review: March 27, 2018

About 1 week ago I went to the Bel Air office of Jackson Hewitt to have my taxes done. I had called and had an appointment AND had even asked before I went in if the tax preparers were familiar with a certain form # 1099C. I was assured there would be no problem. Well the preparer had NO CLUE what to do with the form, and she did not seem to have any way of checking with someone else, or referring to any reference books or even Googling it for goodness sake! Needless to say I left and went to HR Block where the preparer knew exactly what the form was and how to handle it. Shame on you Jackson Hewitt! Your sole function is to PREPARE TAXES... You need to hire better people or have more backup information available for them.

Original review: March 24, 2018

Don’t use this service and never to file your tax here. They’re scammers. The one in Walmart promising you Walmart 100GC 'cause it’s a scam. The guy Terrie at the Walmart Hesperian Blvd said the card will come in an hour and it’s been 2 weeks now. It didn’t come. They will block your calls and you will never hear from them. They will give you misleading information about your tax and you will pay more 'cause these guys are like bunch of thieves! So beware!

Original review: March 20, 2018

Very disappointed with the service I experienced. I don't care how much money they offer me. I will never use Jackson Hewitt again! They filed my taxes within ten minutes because it was almost time for them to close and they were ready to go. To pay over $400 to have my taxes filed and can't even call and ask questions about my taxes without Mrs. ** getting all rude with me trying to rush me off again. I could have just did them myself. Never again will I go to Jackson Hewitt in the Liberty Square Plaza in Hinesville Ga.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I wish there was an option for "0" or negative digit stars. They left a W2 off the tax return which in turn caused back taxes to be owed, interest accrued on that amount, as well as penalties. When it was taken in to them, in order for them to honor their so-called "Gold Guarantee" that promises "reimbursement of penalties and interest charged by a taxing authority if a Jackson Hewitt tax preparer makes an error preparing your tax refund", they flat out refused stating that I gave up that entitlement when I signed the tax return and their form. Are you kidding me???!! The form I had signed was the one stating the tax return was correct to my knowledge.

So BEWARE that you will NOT actually be protected from error via their "Gold Guarantee". What was the point in my paying somebody to prepare my taxes if I basically needed to "prepare" them again in order to catch an error?? I made multiple unsuccessful attempts to contact their headquarters and lost countless hours attempting to retrieve the accurate phone number to headquarters. I was consistently given an incorrect number, a robotic system number that did not go anywhere other than in circles, or a number that only connected me to another local office which would in turn give me another one of the numbers mentioned above! It was complete and utter disregard! After seeing the same pattern, being I was connected to so many local offices before being redirected to beginning again, it was obvious they were trained to misdirect complaints BY Jackson Hewitt.

Jackson Hewitt expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

Jackson Hewitt started out as an in-person only tax service provider, but in 2010 the company expanded with the launch of Jackson Hewitt Online. The online tax software service is aimed at those taxpayers that are comfortable preparing and filing taxes themselves, which introduced the Jackson Hewitt brand to a new market.

• In-person option: Jackson Hewitt offers both online and in-person tax preparation services.

• Expanded online support: All Jackson Hewitt online packages come with free unlimited live chat support.

• Great price for freelancers: The Premium package, which is designed for 1099 contract employees and freelancers, is priced significantly lower than some competitors.

• Phone support: Phone support is available with the premium package.

• Website: The JacksonHewittOnline.com website is very basic.

• Best for: Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby

Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

Jackson Hewitt Company Information