1.16/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 21, 2017

1043 Jackson Hewitt Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I signed up and paid for the online class at the Slidell, LA branch office. I was told if I had problems with my log on or password to contact them from Monday through Thursday 10 to 4. I cannot access my account to log on, so I called on Thursday at 10. I was told that the person who changes the account is not there. This person may or may not show up until 4 days later. Meanwhile, I have tried numerous times to access this account. I asked for a refund, but was told no. So, unless I hear from them, I will assume that I have lost my money. Today, I can't get my money back, I can't access the account, and nobody will return my call. I guess they are used to complaints. Oh well, lesson learned. I just think that someone should call back as it is STATED in the documents I received from them.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Using Hewitt Financial Services (hewittfs.netxinvestor.com), I saw that one of my stocks jumped from 2.80 to 29.10. I got excited about a similar jump in the past (with a different stock), but found (called a reverse split) that the number of shares decreased, so the overall value remained the same. Naturally, I didn't want to get excited so I researched what happened. The only thing I could find were articles noting the increased stock value. Having done research (and feeling good) I created the sell order. The stock sold immediately. I even confirmed a few days later everything looked fine.

A good amount of time later, I checked my account and the money was gone. Combining the research I did with a conversation with a nice lady at Hewitt FS, this is what seems to have happened. The stock sold and the money went into my account. Days later, HFS corrected my account noting that I should have a reduced number of the shares (basically a 1-to-11 reverse split). Problem, the stocks no longer exist. Two weeks later, Hewitt Financial Services attempted to correct their problem by purchasing more of the stock (at a much higher value) and of course passed their mistake to me.

I will explain this with an example: (made up numbers) Let's say I had 100 shares valued at $5. If the value increases to $50 (based on a reverse split), I should only have 10 shares (keeping my value at $500). If I still had the 100 shares, I could sell them for $5000. In my case, I did. (back to the example), Hewitt Financial Services determined I should have 10 (already sold) shares instead of 100. They corrected this by buying 90 shares at a higher price (let's say $70) and removing the money from my account. So instead of having $5000 or even $500 (original value), I have 0 shares and $1300 removed from my account.

I did nothing wrong and lost a lot of money (much more than the $1300 in the example) for their mistake. While on the phone with Diane at their Customer Service/Trading Desk, I asked what I could do about this. She said that I could write a letter detailing my situation. I asked what writing a letter would do for me. She said, I would receive an explanation of what happened. I use multiple sites (Schwab, Etrade, etc) and Hewitt Financial Services is the only one with this type of issue. I will never use them again for any trade and I am going to start pulling my money out of my account as soon as I can. My only hope is that anyone reading this will think twice before making the same mistake I made.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 20, 2017

They did not file my 2013 tax return after paying this service. I found this out in 2016 causing many problems with the IRS and I filed it in 2017. Now it is too old to get a return. Jackson Hewitt unwilling to help or amend this problem.

Original review: June 18, 2017

It has been 9 weeks since I have filed for my tax return when they said 3 to 6 weeks tops to receive my money. The IRS sent me a document saying there was an error when filed. I had to fill out this document and send it back to the IRS and now wait for God knows how long. I will never use Jackson Hewitt again and will inform everyone I know not to also.

Original review: June 8, 2017

I had an appointment to have my taxes filed on June 6, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. inside the Walmart store on Shopping Way Drive in West Memphis, AR 72301. When I went there, I explained to the preparer, **, that I had had my former preparer file for an extension in early April because I had to leave town suddenly due to a family emergency. When I returned to West Memphis in late May, I learned that the former preparer had failed to file for the extension. Upset and disgusted, I turned to Jackson-Hewitt because of its stellar reputation. ** said she'd verify my former preparer's failure with the IRS, but that she's have to call them. She added that trying to get a human at the IRS is often a long wait and that if I leave my tax info with her, she'd call me after she had talked to the IRS and then I could return and she'd file my return.

Since I hadn't heard any more from her since there as of this writing at 4:00 pm CDT two days later, I dropped by the office a few minutes ago and she told me she hadn't started my taxes, neither had she called the IRS. I'd think that since my appointment was two days ago, she would have given my taxes high priority... as a matter of fact started trying to contact the IRS immediately after I left there Tuesday at 10:00 a.m. (since that was the time of my appointment) and at least started entering my basic info into the Jackson-Hewitt's computer system. Furthermore, I myself called the IRS just a few minutes ago, was able to talk to someone within 5 minutes and learned the status of my request for an extension (which, unfortunately but as I suspected was NOT filed by my former preparer).

Furthermore, the IRS customer service rep told me that tax preparers have the capability to talk to an IRS customer service rep almost immediately since they have a special line for their calls, simply because they ARE qualified, registered preparers. ** didn't seem to know that...or chose not to disclose it for whatever reason. I don't know **'s last name since she was wearing no badge/tag, but I can tell you that she was working at the Jackson-Hewitt business inside Walmart on 798 W. Service Road in West Memphis, AR, the phone number being 870-735-4428. Since I had heard and read such outstanding reviews of Jackson-Hewitt, I was both surprised and dismayed that I received such bad (actually, no service at all) from **. I'm taking my business to H&R Block.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jackson Hewitt?

Original review: June 2, 2017

A great nephew of my wife was murdered 1 1/2 years ago. When we finally got the nephew's wallet after the trial, we found a Jackson Hewitt prepaid tax refund card and we were able to determine that there was a little over $1000 in this account. We have been trying to cash this card since 2-9-17. Note the nephew only has his mother and my wife as relatives. The mother is in a nursing home and my wife has the power of attorney.

Since 2-9-17, we have contacted Jackson Hewitt/American Express ten times and have faxed them different information that they requested five times. Each time we respond, they would come back with more information that they needed and we complied. Finally, we received a letter from the American Express Resolution Team requesting forms filed thru the court system. In checking with an attorney, we found it would cost us way more than $1000 to do this. American Express has led us on for 4 months and hindered us at every turn. I guess American Express will get to keep the money rather than the nephew's mother who is in a nursing home and need this money to fix her teeth.

Original review: May 18, 2017

My 80-yr-old mother went to Jackson Hewitt on 4/12/17 and filed her taxes. First week of March she still hadn't heard anything so we began calling JH but couldn't get anyone to answer the phone. After numerous phone calls to JH and the IRS and spending hours on hold waiting... We finally get the IRS to tell us they got mom's tax preparation from JH on MAY 3RD (21 DAYS AFTER SHE E-FILED WITH JACKSON HEWITT) they said her refund was sent to JH on May 9th... But Jackson Hewitt's bank sent it back as "Questionable"... We asked the lady from the IRS what that meant and was told "Exactly what I said".

Furthermore we were told it would be another 6 to 8 weeks before mom's refund would be sent back. Why did Jackson Hewitt wait 21 days to send mom's tax e-file out. Why would their own bank not accept the refund once it was sent. Why does it take 6 to 8 more weeks for the IRS to resend a refund it's already approved and sent already. Mom filed for direct deposit so it shouldn't take this long. She's 80 yrs old and retired. She was depending on her refund to pay bills. Her cable has been cut off, electric and gas was turned off. All because she didn't get her refund when she was supposed to. I don't know who to call to fix this... JH and the IRS both have been no help.

Original review: May 12, 2017

I filed my income tax with this company for the first time and I was thinking I was getting a good deal. My first issue was my electronic refund being rejected so I had to mail in a paper return, which was $125 (wayyy cheaper than the electronic which was like $460). Anyways I did the tax advance for $200 and I placed my bank account information on the return... tell me why I filed my return on February 8, 2017, didn't receive any info until May 1st that my return would be direct deposited to my bank and that I had to wait until the 5 day period to give them time to process my money into my account. Turned out that they didn't even put my bank account information on the return and put another unknown bank instead and I have to wait another 90 days just for this unknown bank to respond to the IRS since they placed a trace on my money.

Never again will I file with Jackson Hewitt. They are so unorganized and the man that does the year round help does not respond to your requests and ignores your messages as if he does not want to help you when they made a mistake. I outta sue them for sending my money to the wrong bank and making me wait to receive my money in the mail... matter of fact I'm about to get started on that right now!!! Just ridiculous! Stay away from this company and don't you dare think about using their tax advance service, you will regret it like I did. "Lesson learned". Never again.

Original review: May 5, 2017

I was told because I had to mail in my returns I did not qualify for the $50.00 money card. The tax preparer finished up and said blah blah blah. I owed for him doing my taxes just under $600.00. Reading other reviews there is always an excuse and pretty much same pay owed no matter if easy or complex. He said the return would post onto this credit card he handed me in six to ten weeks.

Well on May 2 I got a phone call that my check was in. I then was told that tax season is over and I will have to drive to Cleveland, Ohio (55 miles away) to pick up. Then when I went to Wal-Mart to cash my check I was informed that cash checking season is over and they can not help me. I explained to the manager that I have no checking or savings account. SHE TOLD ME to go to a check cashing store and they should be able to help me. I informed her that I did not want to pay $300 more to cash this when Wal-Mart charges $6.00. I was also told that $6 is only fee Wal-Mart would ever charge.

I have called district manager, "I am not receiving calls at this time. Leave a message and I will get back to you at my earliest discretion." Website no longer taking feedback, check back next tax season. "Wal-Mart, we are not affiliated with that company we lease space," Jackson Hewitt. "We are a franchise and not responsible for conduct of others." So lied to, hefty charge, and excuses for why differ but still excuses and no check or fair tax return price.

Original review: May 2, 2017

I've used Jackson Hewitt-Chantilly for many years. They have been helpful in the past, but I've never needed follow up support. Today I called because I had questions about both my federal and state returns which I owed money on, but set up debits for the payments. None of the payments have been taken out of my bank. The person answering the phone said they don't do follow up on payments and that once the returns are filed and accepted, they are done with their support. I was told I would have to call both the IRS and Virginia Tax offices if I wanted any assistance. It appears to me that Jackson-Hewitt doesn't stand behind what they did after they received their payment. I am very disappointed that in the beginning I'm told all about their "legendary" customer service but when I needed help, all I got was someone who didn't want to put any effort into providing any.

Original review: May 1, 2017

Used Turbo Tax to do my original taxes. I was told I needed to send in a 1095A. Thought it would be easier to have Jackson Hewitt prepare this form for me since they were set up in my local Walmart. I couldn't be more wrong. On my visit there, I was told it would be $72 to do the amendment. I thought it was a little steep since my taxes were done already. I decided to let them do it since I was there. I was told they couldn't actually do it there because they lacked the computer ability. I was told it would be sent to Pittsburgh to be finished. I then promptly get a call stating I owed another $138. The $72 was just a down payment. I argued the point, stating that this was not what I was told. She then stated that I must have misunderstood. I know what I was told. I then gave them the number on my credit card to have the remainder charged.

I call back to make sure that my taxes were indeed completed and sent out. I was assured they were sent on March 21. After waiting for six weeks and no refund, I called again. I talked to a young man who was rude and only wanted to get me off the phone. I asked when my refund was sent out and he said he would have no way of knowing. After I stated that they did the refund, how could he not know, he checked and gave me the date March 24th. An entirely different date than I was given on my first inquiry. He then proceeded to tell me I wouldn't be getting a refund because of the amendment. The last inquiry gave me a total of my refund. I was then given the name of the man who actually did my amendment, I was told he was busy with a customer. I will be calling back and someone better have some answers, I can't wait to hear his response. :( I will NEVER use Jackson Hewitt again, I wish I had read the reviews first.

Original review: April 28, 2017

Had Jackson Hewitt do my taxes. They messed them up and cost me to lose a tax return and have a tax lien on myself. I went back to have them fix it and they charged me for it, and I had to pay it to get the lien released. SCAMMERS.

Original review: April 25, 2017

Never use these scumbags! They are liars from hell, their tax preparers are not CPA's and are not qualified to do anything but flip burgers. EXPENSIVE? Yep! Incompetent? The worst! Customer service? Non-existent! They screwed up our taxes and even though we purchased their "GOLD STANDARD" package? The only gold standard they had was how much they charged us, THERE'S the gold! Everyone out there that this company screwed over? Do what we're doing and SUE the crap out of them!!!! Go after them!!! We are! Oh and don't let them blame you because they hire people that could never cut it in the real world and remember that they don't care about you in any way.

Original review: April 22, 2017

I went to Walmart to get my taxes done in West Sacramento. When I was getting them done the lady said that I can pay $78 or $127 dollars so I went with the $78 dollars for them to charge me. Last year I did my taxes at the same place. I paid $50 dollars and I received much more last year than this year. Why was I charged so much this year when I was getting less back. I should have only paid the $50 this year. I was charged more this year because she did the gold guarantee and I did not want that. I only wanted to pay $50 this year. She made it seem like I had to pay the $78 or $127. She did not go over anything with me.

So I did get my state refund back. It was $141 and I only received $13.05. Jackson Hewitt took $127 out of my state refund and I do need all the money I can get because I have 2 cats that I have to take to the vet. One has a hematoma on his ear and the other needs her eye removed and now it's going to take longer for me to come up with the money to get them to the vet. So thank you Jackson Hewitt for ripping me off. Please if you are thinking about having Jackson Hewitt do your taxes don't let them. They will try to take more off your money that you work hard for.

Original review: April 22, 2017

JH has done our taxes for over 10 years but this year they have done a poor job with terrible customer service. Our tax preparer did not do her job and send the correct forms to the IRS and the IRS requested more information on forms that should have been sent by our preparer. We paid $390 for our taxes to be done and we are still waiting for our return and Jackson Hewitt has not made any attempt to help us as we wait. We should not have to pay for a service that was not provided!

Original review: April 21, 2017

The manager Lori ** and Johnny ** both run this business poorly. Files aren't kept in locked filing cabinets, office supplies are not provided as they should be, they get mad when you don't pay for supplies for them and then turn around and get mad if you buy your own supplies when they don't supply them. They also owe me money and have not paid me. Their offices are filthy and they're never available when you need help. A customer had his hand in his pocket and was threatening me because the owner Lori wouldn't take the fault for a prior tax return she had done. Instead she let me sit in the office with a man who potentially could have harmed me because she didn't want to handle her business as a manager. This company needs to be SHUT DOWN. Lori also offer $50 gift to customer and then turns around and takes it out of their return.

Original review: April 18, 2017

My husband and I had our taxes prepared for years with another reputable company but their fees became more than we could handle being retired, when my husband was working and we got a sizable return, it was fine and we felt very protected, being retired is almost living on a third of your income, along with owing monies, we find it difficult to do, therefore, we stumbled on Jackson Hewitt in Penn Hills shopping Center, they offered tax prep for $48 because I am still working as an independent contractor, I do have deductions to claim, but trust me, not many. We were finished with our file and were told that would be $430, I was floored, we not only owed the IRS but we now owe this exorbitant amount to JH, I hate even saying their name... so we are now going the route of doing our own on the Free sites because we qualify to do so.

We started our journey only to find that we were required to have a PDF file of our last years return, JH has that, I called and was told that they could not do it today (takes a minute to pull that up) but yet... they said if we came in, they could prepare our taxes lol, but she couldn't pull our PDF until tomorrow. I was furious to say the least, I know, I am a procrastinator and would have had this all done prior to the deadline day, but there is something about owing the IRS instead of receiving that makes one wait till the last minute, I can remember being so excited when we got a sizable amount back when kids were home and we were working, gosh we ran as soon as the W-2's were in the mailbox, now I actually forget about it till the last moment. Really hurts the wallet when you are retired, then to trust someone like JH and be hung up on... is so very frustrating.

I asked her why they had time to prepare my taxes but could not take a few minutes to pull up my PDF, she literally hung up the phone on me, that is when I decided to get online and file a complaint with the BBB and ConsumerAffairs, this company should be shut down or at the very least fined in some way, they also promised us a Walmart card which we never saw, my husband went back to claim it and they were out of them and that promotion was over. I just cannot stand people who take advantage of poor souls and this is one of those greedy companies.

They in my estimation promote false advertising, that is why we walked in the door, I asked if that was the going rate and was told, "Lets run your return through and we shall see." I thought, "Ok, so it can't be that much more." I told her that I was an independent contractor, I was not informed it would be so much more, I don't think anyone gets out the door with the $48.00 and a gift card. BEWARE.

Original review: April 18, 2017

Jackson Hewitt was the service my daughter used to prepare her taxes. After a problem she had, I was given power of attorney and legally permitted to finish her taxes on her behalf. When she started her taxes she elected the American Express payment method. Now JH and AMERICAN EXPRESS are each indicating that they will place the refund on the original card, that was given when my daughter started her taxes. Well that card no longer exists. It was lost, stolen? I really don't know where it is. I do KNOW I DON'T have it. American Express is sending me to JH who in turn is sending me to American Express. No one wants to help, so that 100% guarantee doesn't apply when it comes to "assistance". They rip you off by charging you 638.00 plus change to do your taxes. They get their money and keep giving you the run around.

No one knows where the DM disappeared to. SHE is MIA to use their words! Seriously? No one knows where the DM is? What kind of company doesn't know where the district manager has skulked off to? No one wants to just write a new check. No one wants to answer for the questions about the refund nor do they care. All they want is their money for preparing the return. I'm sending this to the IRS, THE State Attorney General and to my congressman.

Now JH is going to put money on a card that doesn't exist. Seriously? What is wrong with these people? This is the Court Street location in Burton MI. JH & AE indicate that a personalized card will be sent once the original card is activated. But if you don't have the card how can they send you a personalized card? Neither company is indicating that either one can help me in getting this resolved. AE wants me to go to JH, JH sends me back to AE. IT'S A NIGHTMARE. DON'T USE THESE PEOPLE.

Original review: April 18, 2017

2016 Tax Return. I will try to make this short and sweet. 2015 we had the BEST manager with Jackson Hewitt, Miss Gretchen was beyond helpful and reasonably priced for the help she gave us. This year was a gong show from beginning to end. Went into the office Friday evening with most information and found out we needed a few other items so made an appointment for Monday morning. Arrived at 9 am to find the door locked, lights off and no one to answer the phone. By 9:15 we left. The rep called my husband and said to come back at 7 pm and I should have known the service would suck and it did. She was the only one in the office. The phone was ringing every other minute. Customers coming in constantly. We knew the focus was not completely on us. We had numerous questions and we were treated with "You should know that or what a stupid question" attitude.

We were charged close to $500 which was outrageous for the service and information we received. I am usually not a complainer but there is nothing worse than feeling like a complete nuisance to someone who is supposed to be assisting you. I will not return to this company unless Miss Gretchen comes back. That is a true manager and customer service rep.

Original review: April 18, 2017

Made an appointment at 96-05 Queens Blvd in Rego Park, Queens, NY where I always go. I can't walk more than a block or two so I had to take a cab. When I got there not only was my Tax preparer not there but the store itself Sears was closed down. Has been for months!!! Spent $15.00 and had to find someone to stay with my husband. Stroke victim. Another $11.00 to go back home. The JH website still has this address as a place to file??? I was in tears. This is not a good reflection on a business. Now, today I have to take another cab to Astoria Blvd to again try to do my taxes. I sure hope someone is at this place or I can't file!!! Not right!!!

Original review: April 12, 2017

We were not told that it was $405 to file the taxes. This is a hefty amount to pay after just getting out of the hospital and having all the bills that go along with being dismissed and paying for new medicines and oxygen. NEVER GOING BACK TO THESE RIPOFFS.

Original review: April 10, 2017

I got a refer-a-friend coupon from my friend who did his tax a couple of weeks ago at the Walmart office on 2405 Vestal Pkwy E, Vestal, NY 13850. However, neither a promotion nor the $20 discount were added on my bill and I was charged $130 dollars. I am so upset about it since my friend who referred me not only got a Walmart $50 gift card, but also he was charged only $90. Also, I was there with two of my friends and none of them got the $20 discount either. The person working there tried to call his boss and finally he told us that it is the system problem and he doesn't know a solution for that.

Original review: April 9, 2017

I went today to do my 2016 taxes. The lady looked like was new. Nothing wrong. Everybody should have an opportunity, BUT I wasn't able to claim my 2,000 dollars that I put every year for my retirement. I told her a few times. Looks like she didn't know what I was talking about, and her answer was that was nothing she could it do base I need it a 1099-R form. OK I paid and left. When I got home I call IRA and their reaction was WHO told these? I planner and they say is WRONG that form is only if you withdraw money out of your IRA. I call Jackson Hewitt, not answer. They put me on hold, they disconnected, and know I don't know what to do. Probably I will end up going to a different place and have it rectified, pay more money.

Original review: April 2, 2017

My wife and I had our taxes done by Jackson-Hewitt for the first time this year at a Walmart store located at 1100 S. Randall Road in Elgin, Illinois on 2-28-2017, with a promised $50 Walmart refund for doing so. I printed out the $50 coupon a week or so after having our taxes done, but when I tried to use it at a Walmart in Batavia, Illinois, I was told there was no money on it. After calling customer service and a manager several times over a two week period with no assistance, I was finally told the card had been used in Crystal Lake, Illinois two days after we had our taxes done. I haven't been to Crystal lake in almost 10 years, and I know that after I printed out the coupon on-line, that I had placed the coupon in my wallet, and did not remove it until the day I tried to use it in Batavia.

I still have the copy of the coupon in my possession, which means someone has hacked into the Jackson-Hewitt system, and took the information, and used it to make a purchase at a Sam's Club store in Crystal Lake, Illinois. The Jackson-Hewitt company is extremely disorganized, and I was told they would get back to me on several occasions, but I had to visit the store at least four times before I finally got some answers. It is very likely that a Jackson-Hewitt employee got my information for the $50 rebate coupon, and spent it, leaving me with nothing. For anyone reading this, Please do not ever have your takes done by Jackson-Hewitt, and don't fall for their fake offer of any kind of a $50 or $100 coupon rebate, as their system is not secure from hackers.

Original review: March 29, 2017

I prepare taxes. A client filed with these folks last year. She wasn't given copies of anything just a refund check with receipt of service paid. So I have her call for info... local office refers her to corporate. Corporate refers her to IRS. So I call corporate. They curse at me and hang up on me. Client was with me when I made call. She witnessed their inappropriate behavior. This company is a joke. Needless to say I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: March 24, 2017

Jackson Hewitt advertised $48 tax service then charged me $233 without any explanation! They also promised a $50 Walmart gift card if you used their service which they didn't give me but said I would get an email sometime telling me how to get the gift card which I have never gotten!

Original review: March 21, 2017

I wouldn't even give this company 1 star if it were my choice! This is the most horrible, unprofessional, inaccurate, and rude bunch of people ever! I'm lost for words with the service they provided to me and as I'm seeing these reviews, MANY, MANY others had the same experience! I went to file my taxes (which I'm a certified tax preparer) and always prepare my own but due to certain circumstances I was in need of the advance. So I decided to bite the bullet and have them done and pay the fees... Biggest mistake ever to choose Jackson Hewitt!!!

I am head of household with 2 dependents and my preparer was Grace in the Weatherford, TX location on Palo Pinto St. When she originally filed my return it got kicked back from the IRS and she told me the code was stating, "One of my dependents had been already claimed on another person's taxes." I was very shocked!! I have been a single mother of two since day one, always cared for them 100%, claimed them on my taxes, and never had one slight issue before this. I freak out, take off work, miss a whole 8 hrs of pay to be able to call and wait on hold with the IRS to get to the bottom of this.

In the meantime, Grace goes ahead and files just me and one of my dependents, and advises me that I will have to file an amended return for other dependent after the first was received. Come to find out after I was going to file the amendment myself, I get that return and get the paperwork out to find that my one dependent had not been claimed on someone else's return, Grace had simply entered his SS# number incorrectly causing the IRS to kick it back. So, not only did Grace not catch her careless mistake by entering the SS# wrong, she incorrectly interpreted the IRS code on top of that!

I called to Jackson Hewitt and speak to Grace and bring it to her attention. She said, "Let me look this over and I'll get back with you." She then calls me back and begins to make all kinds of excuses to as why it wasn't her fault, and there was nothing she could do. I told her I was very unhappy that I not only paid $600 to have my taxes messed up, now she is refusing to do the amended return without me paying an additional $100! I told her I needed to speak to her boss. She rudely said I was being ridiculous and hung up on me! As I was googling the number to the area manager Grace called me back and offered to do the amendment for $50 instead of $100, I disagreed and told her that made absolutely no sense to pay someone anymore than the $600 I already paid, because of her mistake. She then finally said, "Ok we will do the amendment for free."

This was a Friday evening I spoke to her, I asked her if she was going to be there Saturday, she said yes. So I go in Saturday morning and she wasn't even working, she was off and purposely avoided me. I was beyond furious at this point!!! Well, there was a very nice preparer that Saturday and she did get the amendment done for me but I just still couldn't swallow paying the $600. I spoke to the area manager and she was very, very rude and not understanding whatsoever and pretty much told me I was lucky they were even doing the amendment at no cost, refused to refund any of the $600 fee for them to prepare (MESS UP) my taxes, and I would never recommend Jackson Hewitt! Bad business for sure!

Original review: March 16, 2017

Jackson Hewitt in the Joliet Walmart off of Jefferson St are completely ridiculous. I called them a few minutes before close because all I needed was a member of management’s phone number or the owner’s phone number from a previous incident. I was ignored twice. I proceeded to call again because they were not closed yet and I needed that phone number. A lady answered the phone, refused to give me her name, set the phone down for 4 minutes and hung up on me. I called again and was ignored once more. I called again because at this point I am livid, why was I hung up on when all I asked for was a supervisor’s phone number? She then answered the phone and proceeded to yell at me and tell me I was harassing her and that she had reported my phone number to the police and continued to call me a different name. I told her multiple times my name and asked for management phone number or extensions and was hung up on.

The branch manager called me from a different phone number and proceeded to scream at me once again, calling me another name, saying she had caller id and that I was lying about my name and phone number. When I asked for the owner’s phone number or extension ONCE AGAIN she replied with "Well that ain't going to happen" and hung up. This is completely ridiculous. This franchise needs to work on customer service. I also work in the retail industry and if a member of my staff were to speak to someone with such a tone or even say the things that they did, they would be fired immediately.

Original review: March 13, 2017

I filed my tax return with a IPIN number and the first tax performance didn't enter the number correctly. So I was notified that I would need to complete a mailed in returned. So it to took them 2 weeks to turn the electric rerun into a mail in return. So the IRS informed me it would need to be signed by the tax performance and myself. They told me that an electric signature was ok. So now 6 weeks later I received a letter stating they could not process my return because there is no signature on the document received. So they still want to pay full price for them completing my return wrong.

UPDATED ON 03/28/2017: So I complained that my 2016 tax return was filed incorrectly. So I received an email asking for my personal info so they could resolve my issue. All I can say is bad customer service. They are just as bad as the person who completed my return incorrectly. Why would you ask for my personal Info and do nothing and never responded in over a week. I hope any that read this please save your money and your time filing with this company. The truth is not within this company and to save yourself a really big problem. They state they will completed your return right the first time and it sad to say that this is not true.

Original review: March 12, 2017

I would give this company zero stars but that is not an option. I went here for my yearly taxes and the woman doing them had no idea what she was doing. I asked her for clarification on a simple question that I later looked up on TurboTax and she looked at me bewildered expecting me to tell her the answer. She was not friendly or educated on taxes and I did a better and more accurate job when I went home and re-did them in order to fill out my state taxes. I had to do state separately because it took her a whopping two hours for a federal return because she didn't know how to even type properly and I had plans after. I guess the one class they allow anyone to take and pass could account for the service. Seriously felt like a random person just walked into the office and sat down behind the counter to do my taxes like is this serious?!! Complete waste of money.

Jackson Hewitt expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

Jackson Hewitt started out as an in-person only tax service provider, but in 2010 the company expanded with the launch of Jackson Hewitt Online. The online tax software service is aimed at those taxpayers that are comfortable preparing and filing taxes themselves, which introduced the Jackson Hewitt brand to a new market.

• In-person option: Jackson Hewitt offers both online and in-person tax preparation services.

• Expanded online support: All Jackson Hewitt online packages come with free unlimited live chat support.

• Great price for freelancers: The Premium package, which is designed for 1099 contract employees and freelancers, is priced significantly lower than some competitors.

• Phone support: Phone support is available with the premium package.

• Website: The JacksonHewittOnline.com website is very basic.

• Best for: Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby

Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

Jackson Hewitt Company Information