Jackson Hewitt

Compare Tax Services

Research top Tax Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I wouldn't even give this company 1 star if it were my choice! This is the most horrible, unprofessional, inaccurate, and rude bunch of people ever! I'm lost for words with the service they provided to me and as I'm seeing these reviews, MANY, MANY others had the same experience! I went to file my taxes (which I'm a certified tax preparer) and always prepare my own but due to certain circumstances I was in need of the advance. So I decided to bite the bullet and have them done and pay the fees... Biggest mistake ever to choose Jackson Hewitt!!!

I am head of household with 2 dependents and my preparer was Grace in the Weatherford, TX location on Palo Pinto St. When she originally filed my return it got kicked back from the IRS and she told me the code was stating, "One of my dependents had been already claimed on another person's taxes." I was very shocked!! I have been a single mother of two since day one, always cared for them 100%, claimed them on my taxes, and never had one slight issue before this. I freak out, take off work, miss a whole 8 hrs of pay to be able to call and wait on hold with the IRS to get to the bottom of this.

In the meantime, Grace goes ahead and files just me and one of my dependents, and advises me that I will have to file an amended return for other dependent after the first was received. Come to find out after I was going to file the amendment myself, I get that return and get the paperwork out to find that my one dependent had not been claimed on someone else's return, Grace had simply entered his SS# number incorrectly causing the IRS to kick it back. So, not only did Grace not catch her careless mistake by entering the SS# wrong, she incorrectly interpreted the IRS code on top of that!

I called to Jackson Hewitt and speak to Grace and bring it to her attention. She said, "Let me look this over and I'll get back with you." She then calls me back and begins to make all kinds of excuses to as why it wasn't her fault, and there was nothing she could do. I told her I was very unhappy that I not only paid $600 to have my taxes messed up, now she is refusing to do the amended return without me paying an additional $100! I told her I needed to speak to her boss. She rudely said I was being ridiculous and hung up on me! As I was googling the number to the area manager Grace called me back and offered to do the amendment for $50 instead of $100, I disagreed and told her that made absolutely no sense to pay someone anymore than the $600 I already paid, because of her mistake. She then finally said, "Ok we will do the amendment for free."

This was a Friday evening I spoke to her, I asked her if she was going to be there Saturday, she said yes. So I go in Saturday morning and she wasn't even working, she was off and purposely avoided me. I was beyond furious at this point!!! Well, there was a very nice preparer that Saturday and she did get the amendment done for me but I just still couldn't swallow paying the $600. I spoke to the area manager and she was very, very rude and not understanding whatsoever and pretty much told me I was lucky they were even doing the amendment at no cost, refused to refund any of the $600 fee for them to prepare (MESS UP) my taxes, and I would never recommend Jackson Hewitt! Bad business for sure!

Jackson Hewitt in the Joliet Walmart off of Jefferson St are completely ridiculous. I called them a few minutes before close because all I needed was a member of management’s phone number or the owner’s phone number from a previous incident. I was ignored twice. I proceeded to call again because they were not closed yet and I needed that phone number. A lady answered the phone, refused to give me her name, set the phone down for 4 minutes and hung up on me. I called again and was ignored once more. I called again because at this point I am livid, why was I hung up on when all I asked for was a supervisor’s phone number? She then answered the phone and proceeded to yell at me and tell me I was harassing her and that she had reported my phone number to the police and continued to call me a different name. I told her multiple times my name and asked for management phone number or extensions and was hung up on.

The branch manager called me from a different phone number and proceeded to scream at me once again, calling me another name, saying she had caller id and that I was lying about my name and phone number. When I asked for the owner’s phone number or extension ONCE AGAIN she replied with "Well that ain't going to happen" and hung up. This is completely ridiculous. This franchise needs to work on customer service. I also work in the retail industry and if a member of my staff were to speak to someone with such a tone or even say the things that they did, they would be fired immediately.

I filed my tax return with a IPIN number and the first tax performance didn't enter the number correctly. So I was notified that I would need to complete a mailed in returned. So it to took them 2 weeks to turn the electric rerun into a mail in return. So the IRS informed me it would need to be signed by the tax performance and myself. They told me that an electric signature was ok. So now 6 weeks later I received a letter stating they could not process my return because there is no signature on the document received. So they still want to pay full price for them completing my return wrong.

I would give this company zero stars but that is not an option. I went here for my yearly taxes and the woman doing them had no idea what she was doing. I asked her for clarification on a simple question that I later looked up on TurboTax and she looked at me bewildered expecting me to tell her the answer. She was not friendly or educated on taxes and I did a better and more accurate job when I went home and re-did them in order to fill out my state taxes. I had to do state separately because it took her a whopping two hours for a federal return because she didn't know how to even type properly and I had plans after. I guess the one class they allow anyone to take and pass could account for the service. Seriously felt like a random person just walked into the office and sat down behind the counter to do my taxes like is this serious?!! Complete waste of money.

I have never had a worse experience doing my taxes. First off it was rejected 3 times then the guy doing the taxes put down I didn't have insurance so I was penalized. Had to file a amended return. They say if it's their fault they will pay your prep fee. Huh all lies. The manager was too chicken ** to even call me back. Now I have to wait 13 weeks for the rest of my return. This was the new Boston, Texas office. Do not go there. A lot of people have complained on them everywhere. I will be reporting them to the Better Business Bureau. Have a good day.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jackson Hewitt?

I have been calling Jackson Hewitt on Jefferson Avenue in Salem, Massachusetts every day. The IRS website said my check was mailed 3/2/16, not to my house though because the owner's son Kevin who did my taxes had it go to their office and they are going to let me know when it arrives there which I never heard of. I called today and spoke to the Receptionist, Ashley who said she looked for my check and I went to ask her another question and she hung up on me. I called her boss Nancy who had given me her cell phone number because of the trouble Kevin, the owner's son had caused me. I have already received my state check, but not my federal. Needless to say I am very upset. Is there a lawyer I should go to or someone I should be calling regarding the Jackson Hewitt in Salem, Massachusetts?

I was robbed essentially, I have not received my state tax return and was charged $500 in undisclosed fees for my tax preparation! I did not have my AGI number or whatever so I had to file with someone, and they are not helpful when you're shocked with the amount received versus the amount signed and promised. And the lady screwed up my account number and I had to fight to receive a paper check!

So it's 2012 tax time and my father just passed away leaving me with a decent inheritance. My husband and I decide to go to Jackson Hewitt to get our taxes done as that was really the only tax place in our small town. Everything goes smoothly until 2013 when we get a letter from the IRS saying we owe them $16,500 because of missing tax information from 2012.

Well I immediately call Jackson Hewitt and the office boss at the time and I meet, turns out the kid that did our taxes did not even file 3/4 of the paperwork we brought in including my inheritance information and my husband's job w-2's. So we try to have them submit the information and the IRS declines it saying they want the money and not the paperwork so we sell our house and pay the IRS off. As we were in the middle of moving anyway. Then to find out because we had the Gold member Jackson Hewitt paid us only $5,000. So for their screw up we only got them to stand behind their company and people for $5,000 worth of damage.

After that we think it is over but cut to February 2017 and a very surprising unpleasant bill from the State of Colorado saying we never even submitted 2012 taxes to them. Apparently the kid never submitted anything and we owed them $4,000 and they had been trying to get a hold of us for 4 years to correct the mistake so what started out as $2,000 has now become $4,000 in penalties and fees.

I once again dialed Jackson Hewitt to have them correct the mistake and they didn't answer the phone the first 10 times I called. I finally was able to get a hold of someone and she said she would leave a message for her boss, since she couldn't look that far back in the system. So I wait 2 days and still no call back. I finally got mad enough to call back another 10 calls. Later the "boss" stated that since the gold membership paid us for the IRS screw up in 2013 there is nothing that they can do at all. I will never use this company again. They have screwed us over to the tune of $20,000 and counting. I recommend to all my friends and family and anyone I meet to NEVER EVER USE JACKSON HEWITT. If they have more bad comments than good HOW ARE THESE JERKS STILL IN BUSINESS???

I live in Pass Christian Ms. I used the local Jackson Hewitt office and filed my federal and state tax on the 23rd of January! Recently I started checking the Ms state Tax website because I didn't understand how a month has gone by and I hadn't received my state tax. The website didn't recognize any of my info so I called the office to find out they haven't finished or filed my state tax paperwork. The icing on the cake is the tax preparer acted like I had no right to be upset and that it wasn't a big deal and no remorse for the inconvenience they caused me and took no responsibility saying eventually they would have caught it. She also implied that I shouldn't be mad because they file the state tax for free so I should get over it. I then replied I paid 500 to get my federal file so it damn well should have been free. The only reason she knew a month out is because I called them. I'm flabbergasted and never dealt with so much disrespect!

Since I've been going to Jackson Hewitt they always charge me over 200 dollars for doing my 1040 form, and I've been seeing the advertisement where the fee is supposedly 48 dollars, so why am I being charged an extremely high amount for the 1040 form? My information is already in their computer, so they have little or no typing to do. I am being cheated, and that really upsets me. I am done with Jackson Hewitt, and someone needs to do something about them. I may be old, but I'm not crazy, and I know when I'm being cheated.

I went to Jackson Hewitt this year because I needed a tax professional. While my preparer was wonderful, the day I received my refund check they called me to recall the check telling me it would bounce if I deposited it! I had already cashed it with my bank. Now I have to wait for my bank to take the funds to cover this check. Been 4 days and I can't even get the reissued check! I've tried calling the national call center, they were very rude and unable to help me. I've had to call my bank 5 times, and I've been calling JH every day, they don't answer the phones. I've left messages. I'm getting nowhere. I paid 530 for them to do my taxes, and they got paid.

Do not file with these scammers. It has always cost me around $100 to file my taxes, single with no dependents. They did not ask me for any deductions and promised me a $50 Walmart card. They didn't even give me a quote. They even quoted me "We're going to hook you up." What a bunch of bologna. After it was all said and done, they told me it would be $300! Ridiculous, I have never paid that much. If I knew it was going to cost that much, I would of learned to do it myself and next year that's exactly what I'm doing. Getting a hold of customer service? Forget it, it's impossible. I even called corporate to complain and they told me that I would have to contact the office that filed it! That they were a franchise and that they couldn't help me! Unbelievable! H&R Block only charged me $82 last year. I will never file with these idiots again. And better yet, how are these dummies still in business?!

Being charged 20 dollars for not being satisfied for what the results were in tax preparation. Calling the company and being told that you all don't charge just to look. Hearing from the representative that she would make sure Corporate got my complaint and they would contact me about it, and never hearing back from anyone. Is that what Jackson Hewitt is all about? If you all do that to everyone that's not satisfied, how much money are you making? Extra!

My daughter had JH to do her taxes, they charged her too much. Federal refund was 4472. 00 and state was 602.00. They charged her a 1000.00 to do her taxes and on top of that she got to do amendment now because they told her that she can't claim her oldest daughter that turn 18 this month. IRS Law states that a child under 19 can be claim and if child is still living at home and attending school you have till age 24. This person that did her taxes is stupid and need to be fired. Next I am doing her amendment and want everyone to know if you want to be cheated out of what you work hard for then go to them because they don't believe in Vaseline. This makes scammers look innocent. JH are nothing but crooks and the IRS needs to audit them.

I was OVERCHARGED for terrible service, I will never trust this company again. The old man who did my taxes in Wal-Mart lied to my face, and he never disclosed the fees, he rushed through everything. When I called to complain they are totally powerless to help you because they don't have the authority to issue any money back, so there is no point to complain. This company is a total SCAM! I GUARANTEE they are getting huge kickbacks from Wal-Mart!!! THAT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL! Why do I want a Free-Walmart gift card that puts an extra $50 in fees SO IT'S NOT FREE. YOU ARE PAYING FOR IT!!!! Total Scam, DO NOT TRUST JACKSON HEWITT!

We went to Jackson Hewitt yesterday to get our taxes done. It cost us almost $500!!! We have been doing it for $100 for the past four years. The ONLY reason we did not walk out is because we were promised an advance. It's been 24 hours and we were told the advance would be put in our account within one hour. It still isn't there. We have called 5 times to check the card! We also saw the advertisement that they'd give us $100 for switching. Nope. Didn't happen. It's ON THE WEBSITE so shouldn't they be honoring what they advertise? I'm sick to my stomach about this. You live and learn! Will NOT be using them again.

P.S. We also waited for two hours to get our taxes done, then it took a freaking hour for the woman to do them. She was friendly enough but very unprofessional. I can't count the amount of times she got up to grab a bite to eat (remember, this is 4 in the afternoon) or get something to drink or use the bathroom! Just very unprofessional. We also did not get a $25-$50 Wal-Mart card, like they advertise. So if anyone can help us out here, we'd appreciate it.

The girl I had do my taxes was very nice!! But I should of waited and went to a real accountant but I just wanted to get them done!!! They said they gave me $50 dollars off. What a joke. My form was not that hard. The only thing I have is a house. It cost me over $200 bucks. Will never have them again or recommend them to anyone.

The offers they promise are bogus!!! I worry that when they did my taxes they made mistakes as the tax lady did not ask me a lot of questions. First time using somebody to do my taxes and it has been just a god awful experience. They told me that for doing my taxes with them I would get a $50 Walmart Gift Card at the end. I thought that is a nice bonus. I had a appointment picked out for 5 pm. I got there 10 minutes before my appointment but the lady let another guy walk without a appointment and started helping him. That really frustrated me but I wanted to get this done so I waited.

Over a hour later she finally got done with him. That should have been the sign for me but I continued. Well she did my taxes without asking a lot of questions. When she got to the end she told me her computer would not let her select the gift card. At this point I had a sick fiancee at home with a 7 month old ill too and was well over a hour and half behind. I told her I have to head out for now due to this.

I have been trying for well over a week to get this straighten out. I have emailed, chatted and even made a twitter account to contact Jackson Hewitt on this. I get the same answer every single time. "Call your local office at 651-829-3531 and ask for Benjamin." Best part of the office is every single time it says the office is unavailable please call back at another time. EVERY SINGLE TIME!!! I tell the national office this and they don't give a damn. They just vomit out the same reply. At this point it's not even about the money it's about getting what I was promised by them.

My soon to be Sister in law owns her own law firm and is a consumer rights lawyer. I twitter them that if this isn't resolved today that they will be getting a call from her. This is insane that I have to resort to this to even get any type of help. God forbid if they screwed up my taxes!!! Take it from a person who has had personally experience from them. STAY AWAY!!! This feels like a company that is a huge scam!!!

They charge too much to do your taxes. You don't realize the amount until after they do them. They don't tell you the amount beforehand. You don't see it until after they send it off. From now on I would be using turbo tax and preparing my own taxes. A lesson learned - I paid $400 to do something that only would have taken me 20 minutes to do. I know now.

Both of my experiences with Jackson Hewitt were very unpleasant and very unprofessional. The only reason I returned the second time (at a different location) was because I was obligated to file my taxes with them from applying/accepting the refund advance offer. When I visited the first location I had dropped off my information due to the line being so long; I was told I would be contacted the next day to sign and finalize my advance, I was never called and every time I tried to call there was no answer.

I returned to the same store the next week when they had lost ALL appointment schedules and apparently had no way of accessing them or anyone who could. They continued to accept walk-ins before the clients with appointments and those that were only there for "pickups". 75% of the staff didn't show up to work without calling and it wasn't the first time they'd done so is what I was informed. I waited 2.5 hours!!! I took my W2's to another location hoping for a better outcome but was unfortunately even more upset.

After filing my taxes and not once explaining anything to me she sent me on my way only to find out a few weeks later she had NEVER sent my State taxes and the only way she found out is when I had to call her and ask why the website was reporting it not found. Over the next 2 weeks I had trouble with them having incorrect ss#, not returning my calls, informing me that my state refund had been received and used in full to cover the advance and fees that I "owed" them when actually my State refund check was received in my mail the next day. I'm furious and disgusted with how rude the tax "professionals" were. I will never again use Jackson Hewitt and I will definitely not be referring anyone to them.

I filed my taxes with Jackson Hewitt because I needed the advancement for an emergency. When I went to file my taxes, I felt like they were asking me a lot of personal business that had nothing to do with taxes. I only had 1 w2 and it took him 3 hours to submit my information. I even left and came back an hour later and it still was not complete. I was suppose to get the 50.00 gift card but because the preparer and his supervisor didn't know how to load the advancement on the card, I didn't get the 50.00. When the preparer finished my fees were almost 500.00 for 1 w2.

When I finally received my paperwork from my job, I had to go back because that was where I received my loan. Even though it took less than 30 mins, the last preparer did not enter my information incorrectly because I was about to be penalized for 2500 for no insurance. They also didn't ask me for any deductions for gas, uniforms, and educational supplies that I wanted to file as well. That was another 5 to 6 hundred dollars I could have claimed on my taxes.

I will never go back to them again and I advise everyone else to do the same. I told them that it was false advertising that they were doing with the loan and the card and the preparer told me that's how they get customers. I was so disappointed. Next time I will do my own on TaxHawk where I only paid 16.00. Please people don't go here to do your taxes. It's a total rip off. I'm not even giving them any stars because I was not happy with none of the service. Oh, because I was not able to get the 50.00 card, they offered me coupons. SMH.

I went to have my taxes done and when I was done they told me it was going to cost me $620.95. When I went in and asked them how much it was going to cost to have them done they told me that the most it would cost is $200 which was a lie. Very disappointed with them. Since it cost us so much we told them to take it out of our refund and I still haven't gotten anything back from my taxes. Next year I am filing my taxes on my own. This place is ridiculous and charges way too much to have taxes done. I will never recommend anyone go there. They are a major rip off!

Where to start! I went to JH on Friday Feb 2nd. I gave the JH tax preparer all of my documents including my PIN that was needed to complete my paperwork. The preparer was also new to filing taxes and did not mention any of the products or services that JH offered. I received a receipt with coupons to refer a friend. I was at a Wal-Mart location and so I was to receive a 50$ coupon and a 25$ discount on my taxes as a sale. The tax preparer told me that I should receive a confirmation within a few hours. I did not receive anything. Out of curiosity, I called another JH location the next day and was informed that there was filing error and it was missing my PIN. I attempted to contact the office, but the rep I worked with was not there until the next day.

Instead of waiting, I went to the location at 4pm in the afternoon and the location was closed. The hours of operation stated they would be open until 7pm. I called the supervisor John from the listed numbers and he informed me that I would have to wait until tomorrow. The next day, I go to the location and wait 20 minutes for the preparer to say "It only took me 5 minutes to enter this. I don't know what happened." I said as an inconvenience I would like to discount my fees. The supervisor offered me $20 off. I was expected to pay almost $300 worth of fees. Not satisfactory. I then received an offer of 75$ off. I accepted because the total discount should have been a total of $100 off including their $25 discount they offered.

The 75$ off was listed, but remember when they offered a 25$ discount just for doing the taxes, well that was included in the 75$. How can you offer an additional 75$ off and not follow your promise? I did not ask to take off 25$ off initially that was your promotion. After 3 weeks (not 21 days yet) my taxes have been approved and have been approved for over 3 days and I was told that I still have to wait for it to hit my account. I will never go this incompetent place again.

Well I filed my taxes on February 4 and the tax preparer did not calculate my earnings right. I think Jackson Hewitt owe me some more money because I didn't receive my 50 dollars like they said on the card and she did not calculate my earned income. I suppose to get more than what she told me I was getting back. I been dealing with these people for 4 years and never had this low amount or refund and the tax preparers always explained to me every step and amount I was getting back.

This was the first time they have messed up in four years of using them. However we will never use this business again! First of all when the guy that prepared our taxes has us review that all his information was correct we told him that the town was incorrect since we have moved states in the past year but he never changed the town. And when I call American Express to see where my card is that my refund is coming on they inform me that the town was still wrong and they do not send cards to PO boxes and that is the ONLY address we have.

This place is such a joke. They are just here to make $500 or more off of you and are so misinformed it is ridiculous! I'm not the only one that has had issues with this company, my sister-in-law has been issued four different cards and now her return has been issued but they do not have the card it is on out of the four they have. Please do not use this company, you will be better off just getting a payday loan and paying it back when you get your return than taking that stupid American Express card...

I was doing income tax return at Jackson Hewitt for years. Last year it was a challenge, as my income tax return was not done correctly and I had to go back twice to do the addendum. Their manager Scott helped me to do my income tax return. This year I went to the same location just to find out that the previous manager and few other people are IN PRISON! I was told by one of the income tax people that their company was sold and bought by another person, so they have "new team."

The person was extremely unpleasant and asked me for the paperwork. I give everything I had, after asking me few questions, he start arguing with me about numbers and information I was providing to him. He then stated that he need about 30 minutes to put this info into the computer. 40 minutes later I came back and he said to me, that he has more questions, but was extremely rude and argumentative. I asked for his supervisor. The supervisor happened to be another guy, who was sitting with his back to me, he turned around and once again start asking me questions all over again.

Another 40 minutes later he said that I would have to come back as he can't complete the income tax. Shortly after that he stood up and took off, he came back few minutes later and handed me the phone. He said: "this is my new boss and you need to talk to him." I took the phone and spoke with another man, who was not rude, but explained to me that ALL PREVIOUS PEOPLE FROM JACKSON HEWITT WENT TO PRISON FOR FRAUD! You can imagine my panic!!!

For years I was doing income tax return paying big money to them thinking that they are professionals! The person on a phone confirm with me that he is the new owner of the company and it is a privately own company, so it would be better for me to find a CPA who will do income tax return. I wasted 2 hours of my time! NEVER AGAIN! THEY ARE NOTHING BUT FRAUDULENT COMPANY. BE AWARE!!!

I been trying to report this lady for the longest, since January. It really wouldn't matter to me now that I went to H&R. My husband and I went in to the Hollywood, Fl office I think it was on a Saturday back in January to have our taxes prepared. My husband and I have our own business. There was a lady sitting in the back desk with dreads. She's very rude and very unprofessional. I think Jackson Hewitt needs to train their employers to not be rude to customers. I think she judged us cause we're so young looking. She told us we was silly to come in without all of our filing information. I don't know where she felt she had the right to judge us on what to file without. I think she needs to start to letting the IRS do their job and she continue to sit on her ** and prepare taxes.

Had taxes filed. They tell all fee are coming out of federal, but lo and behold they take your state refund and charged me over 300.00 to file. So it seems to me they are cheating people out of their money. I will never use Jackson Hewitt again. They gave me the advance last year and didn't take my state refund. I hope they get theirs.

Went to JH to get my taxes done and because the federal taxes are being held up my state taxes came first. I went up to the JH office and found out that they took my state taxes to pay fees. My problem is that I wasn't told that this would happen nor was I notified that my state taxes was even received. At a time when people is looking for their money to come, I feel that this is very deceptive business. I will be using TurboTax next year and will never do business with JH again.

Do not file your taxes with any Jackson Hewitt office. I did my taxes with them and the tax preparer took it upon her to enter my filling status wrong. After I told her I wanted to file single she still filed me as head of household. Now my taxes will be delayed and probably penalized thanks to her. Now I'm gonna have to pay a fine. I do not suggest anyone go to them.

Expert Review

Melissa Hincha-OwnbyTax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.    More about Melissa→

Jackson Hewitt started out as an in-person only tax service provider, but in 2010 the company expanded with the launch of Jackson Hewitt Online. The online tax software service is aimed at those taxpayers that are comfortable preparing and filing taxes themselves, which introduced the Jackson Hewitt brand to a new market.

• In-person option: Jackson Hewitt offers both online and in-person tax preparation services.
  • Expanded online support: All Jackson Hewitt online packages come with free unlimited live chat support.
  • Great price for freelancers: The Premium package, which is designed for 1099 contract employees and freelancers, is priced significantly lower than some competitors.
  • Phone support: Phone support is available with the premium package.
  • Website: The JacksonHewittOnline.com website is very basic.
  • Best for Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals