Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.70/5

Jackson Hewitt provides online and in-store tax services for consumers at nearly 6,000 locations nationwide. Jackson Hewitt offers three different levels of service and guarantees that consumers get the biggest possible refund by using its software.

BOTTOM LINE

Jackson Hewitt is a tax service and software company with three plan options. The company has a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all tax refunds.

PROS

• Easy to file online or in-store
  • Drop-off services available
  • Nearly 6,000 locations

CONS

• Independently franchised locations

Top Jackson Hewitt Reviews We Found

I always receive great service and knowledge when I visit Sherry. ... I make an appointment and I'm always seen on time. I recommend her to anyone not knowing much about a tax return. She will break it down for you and make sure you understand everything. Thank you sherry ... see you in February.

Fast & easy filling tax office. Clean friendly staff & satisfies all my tax needs. Will refer people to their office. Very knowledgeable on tax questions & offers great loans. I never experienced any issues with my refund, way to go Jackson Hewitt.

What is Jackson Hewitt?

Jackson Hewitt is a nationwide tax service company that specializes in tax preparation, tax filing and debt resolution. The company offers services online and in physical locations, so you can choose your ideal tax experience with Jackson Hewitt by dropping your taxes off at a location near you or filing your taxes online with the assistance of a Jackson Hewitt tax professional.

To get started with Jackson Hewitt, visit the company's website and create a MyJH account. You need to provide:

• Your name
  • A username
  • A valid email address
  • Security questions
  • A phone number

Once you’ve created a MyJH account, you can upload and organize your tax documents, pick a filing office and get assistance from Jackson Hewitt’s tax professionals. If you’d rather work with a tax professional in person, you can drop your taxes off at a Jackson Hewitt office or Walmart location instead of registering online.

Jackson Hewitt provides a Maximum Refund Guarantee, which states the company reimburses you $100 if you don’t receive the best possible refund.

How much does Jackson Hewitt charge?

Jackson Hewitt has three plans for different taxpayers’ needs:

• Free plan: This plan is a good choice for people with up to $100,000 in taxable income who file simple tax returns. The free plan is ideal for those who file with W-2s, receive unemployment income or are eligible for the earned income tax credit (with no dependents).
  • Deluxe plan ($29.99 plus $36.99 per state filed): The Deluxe works best for families with dependents, people paying student loans or educator expenses and those who have retirement income.
  • Premier plan ($49.99 plus $36.99 per state filed): This plan is suited for those with complex tax returns. It's the best option for taxpayers who are self-employed, own rental properties or have an income of more than $100,000.

Jackson Hewitt FAQ

How much does it cost to get your taxes done at Jackson Hewitt?
Jackson Hewitt has three plans that cost different amounts:
  • Free plan
  • Deluxe plan: $29.99
  • Premier plan: $49.99
What do I need to take to Jackson Hewitt?
What you need to bring to Jackson Hewitt depends on which forms you need to fill out to file your taxes. A person filing a basic return should bring:
  • Photo ID
  • Last year’s federal and state tax returns
  • Social Security card
  • Wage statement
Does Jackson Hewitt do tax advances?
Yes, Jackson Hewitt provides refund advances of up to $3,200 on a prepaid card. You can apply on its website.
How do I check my refund status with Jackson Hewitt?
You can check your refund status by logging in to your MyJH account and visiting the Returns Status page.

Is Jackson Hewitt worth it?

Jackson Hewitt receives high marks from customers looking for an in-office experience. The company also has several offices throughout the U.S., so it is very convenient. However, its three different service plans cost more than many of its competitors and are not as in-depth as other do-it-yourself tax programs. If you want a face-to-face experience, Jackson Hewitt is a strong candidate; otherwise, be sure to research other options.

Jackson Hewitt Reviews

Original review: March 26, 2020

My appointment was cancelled with AARP due to Cov-19. I remember seeing Jackson Hewitt sites in some of our local department stores. I went on my computer to locate the nearest office near my home. I found one less than three miles from my home. I called and spoke with Mr. **. I was able to get a appointment later that day. My husband and I were greeted by Mr. ** personally. After offering us a seat in his office we were offered water or soda. We had all our paperwork together. MR. ** went through the paperwork and worked on our taxes. He was intelligent and professional. His fee was very reasonable. He submitted our taxes electronically and gave us a copy. We will definitely have him do our taxes next year.

Original review: March 6, 2020

When I came in Walmart in Sterling, IL went to Jackson Hewitt. They provided me with all the information that I need. When I had questions they were professional about my questions that I have asked today. They had excellent customer service. Very Professional. Their prices were excellent. They greeted me with great professional manner and I was very well respected. They were very polite. I would recommend people going there first than any other tax service company existing. If you have any questions. They are open all year round for you 24/7. I love that in a business. Very highly recommended business.

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

The tax repair were very patient with me. I didn't have all my paperwork. He talked very respectful to me and fit me back in so he can finish my taxes. So I'm saying if you want a respectful tax person stop in at the Walmart at the Fond Du Lac location.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I always receive great service and knowledge when I visit Sherry. Sometimes I get the early loan.. but she got me approved the very first time I walked in. I make an appointment and I'm always seen on time. I recommend her to anyone not knowing much about a tax return. She will break it down for you and make sure you understand everything. Thank you sherry.. Me and my daughter will see you in February.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

I've been going to Jackson Hewitt for the last 8 years! I've never had any problems! Ms ** at 3050 MLKing Jr drive in Atlanta and ** at 3581 MLKing Jr drive in Atlanta are the absolute best! They both work really hard to maximize your refund! I highly recommend either of these young ladies. Both are very professional and they both know the job of tax preparation! These ladies are awesome and deserve raises!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jackson Hewitt?

Original review: April 26, 2020

The Jackson Hewitt office in Katy, Texas on Franz road where I have been filing taxes for the past few years was unable to help me when I went in with questions this past week and could care less. I was told to wait in my car. This was the worst treatment And I had on a mask. I have paid over 500 dollars to file my taxes with your company since 2014 and had a few questions and this was the second office I had visited and no help was given. I will not be filing my taxes here next year and both ladies need customer service training.

Original review: April 24, 2020

After paying Jackson Hewitt over 500.00 dollars to complete my taxes 2019 I find out that you cannot call to get clarity about your taxes even after PAYING 500.00 for 15 of their time. When calling I was told "We can't help you" and was hung up. Thanks for being such an unethical company. I truly pray that others do not fall victim to this scam as they do not actually provide a service. Worst tax Company and they employ others with unprofessional customer services still who lack the ability to provide the service that you pay hundreds of dollars for. I would not recommend using Jackson Hewitt for any reason.

Original review: April 23, 2020

I usually use H and R Block but decided to switch. Since the Covid-19 crisis I found how greedy all tax preparation companies and the banks the associate with are. When looking for my stimulus checks I kept getting either no information or conflicting lies. The truth is the answers were in the contracts we all signed and they simply did not want the truth to get out till it had to because it would have stopped many people from continuing to use their products. Not to mention anyone they roped into using them after all this had started coming to light had got stuck in worse positions the me and others like me, which were millions.

The truth is these people are not needed. Do yourself a favor stay away from these over priced companies and their quick money schemes that lure individuals in. Most the time you can get your moneyless just as fast filing yourself or with a CPA which is HUNDREDS cheaper. Don’t be fooled these are mills and they only want to charge you outrageous fees for performing a service anyone can do. If you don’t believe that anyone can do it look around the office and take notice of the people about to do your taxes. Trust me not the brightest, most cannot type nor string a correct sentence together if their life depended on it. Just please don’t go through what I and millions have gone through.

Currently millions of people can’t even get access to their stimulus checks because of the countless errors on these tax refunds. ERRORS, on a process these people just paid possibly 500 dollars for. Please please please just don’t go to any of them not JH my HnR or whatever others are out there. Hire someone who knows what they are doing someone who went to school to handle numbers and money. They need your business and they will correctly do what you need to do and charge you a fair price.

Original review: April 21, 2020

Me and my girlfriend decided to use JH to do our taxes this year, regrettably. The woman who prepared out taxes was nice enough. However, a few days later when we went over them, we noticed that we were charged about $800 to do them. Outrageous! When we called to find out why we had been charged so much, the lady said "she would look into it and get back to us" and never did. Once we found out we would be getting stimulus payments, JH customer service told us they were "99%" positive it would go on our ridiculous AMEX serve card we regrettably elected to receive our tax refund on. They lured us in with the line that we could get an advance (that we were declined for) and our taxes would get to us faster (which it didn't). Now here we are, STILL WAITING for our stimulus check and neither JH or AMEX answers the phone with any answers as to why we haven't received our stimulus.

I also may add that when I went on IRS site to enter tax info and banking info, I was hit with an error message that my AGI was incorrect, even though I was using my W2 info. Turns out JH changed my AGI by ONE NUMBER and that is why IRS was rejecting!!! Needless to say, I will not be using JH ever again. I would also STRONGLY CAUTION anyone who does use them STAY AWAY from their ridiculous AMEX serve card option. They probably get a kickback from AMEX. Thanks for the run around JH!!!

Original review: April 20, 2020

Updated on 04/21/2020: The response I got from Jackson Hewitt was a simple one for most people but they put the wrong address in and it won't tell me anything. I can't change it. I can't do anything. Now I'm sitting here and eating food. Need to pay my bills and have no way. Thanks Jackson Hewitt.

Original Review: I went to get my taxes done. Got a 500 dollars in advance. We are going thru the coronavirus in Alabama too, I am supposed to receive $1,200 check. Went to Jackson Hewitt to ask about it and lo and behold they had my address wrong so now what I can't get it through the card because they advance me money. Now I have to wonder where my checks going. Go back to the government or me? Who knows!!!

Jackson Hewitt Company Information