Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.62/5

Jackson Hewitt provides online and in-store tax services for consumers at nearly 6,000 locations nationwide. Jackson Hewitt offers three different levels of service and guarantees that consumers get the biggest possible refund by using its software.

BOTTOM LINE

Jackson Hewitt is a tax service and software company with three plan options. The company has a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all tax refunds.

PROS

• Easy to file online or in-store
  • Drop-off services available
  • Nearly 6,000 locations

CONS

• Independently franchised locations

Top Jackson Hewitt Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jackson Hewitt?

I always receive great service and knowledge when I visit Sherry. ... I make an appointment and I'm always seen on time. I recommend her to anyone not knowing much about a tax return. She will break it down for you and make sure you understand everything. Thank you sherry ... see you in February.

Fast & easy filling tax office. Clean friendly staff & satisfies all my tax needs. Will refer people to their office. Very knowledgeable on tax questions & offers great loans. I never experienced any issues with my refund, way to go Jackson Hewitt.

What is Jackson Hewitt?

Jackson Hewitt is a nationwide tax service company that specializes in tax preparation, tax filing and debt resolution. The company offers services online and in physical locations, so you can choose your ideal tax experience with Jackson Hewitt by dropping your taxes off at a location near you or filing your taxes online with the assistance of a Jackson Hewitt tax professional.

To get started with Jackson Hewitt, visit the company's website and create a MyJH account. You need to provide:

• Your name
  • A username
  • A valid email address
  • Security questions
  • A phone number

Once you’ve created a MyJH account, you can upload and organize your tax documents, pick a filing office and get assistance from Jackson Hewitt’s tax professionals. If you’d rather work with a tax professional in person, you can drop your taxes off at a Jackson Hewitt office or Walmart location instead of registering online.

Jackson Hewitt provides a Maximum Refund Guarantee, which states the company reimburses you $100 if you don’t receive the best possible refund.

How much does Jackson Hewitt charge?

Jackson Hewitt has three plans for different taxpayers’ needs:

• Free plan: This plan is a good choice for people with up to $100,000 in taxable income who file simple tax returns. The free plan is ideal for those who file with W-2s, receive unemployment income or are eligible for the earned income tax credit (with no dependents).
  • Deluxe plan ($29.99 plus $36.99 per state filed): The Deluxe works best for families with dependents, people paying student loans or educator expenses and those who have retirement income.
  • Premier plan ($49.99 plus $36.99 per state filed): This plan is suited for those with complex tax returns. It's the best option for taxpayers who are self-employed, own rental properties or have an income of more than $100,000.

Jackson Hewitt FAQ

How much does it cost to get your taxes done at Jackson Hewitt?
Jackson Hewitt has three plans that cost different amounts:
  • Free plan
  • Deluxe plan: $29.99
  • Premier plan: $49.99
What do I need to take to Jackson Hewitt?
What you need to bring to Jackson Hewitt depends on which forms you need to fill out to file your taxes. A person filing a basic return should bring:
  • Photo ID
  • Last year’s federal and state tax returns
  • Social Security card
  • Wage statement
Does Jackson Hewitt do tax advances?
Yes, Jackson Hewitt provides refund advances of up to $3,200 on a prepaid card. You can apply on its website.
How do I check my refund status with Jackson Hewitt?
You can check your refund status by logging in to your MyJH account and visiting the Returns Status page.

Is Jackson Hewitt worth it?

Jackson Hewitt receives high marks from customers looking for an in-office experience. The company also has several offices throughout the U.S., so it is very convenient. However, its three different service plans cost more than many of its competitors and are not as in-depth as other do-it-yourself tax programs. If you want a face-to-face experience, Jackson Hewitt is a strong candidate; otherwise, be sure to research other options.

Jackson Hewitt Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jackson Hewitt?

Original review: March 26, 2020

My appointment was cancelled with AARP due to Cov-19. I remember seeing Jackson Hewitt sites in some of our local department stores. I went on my computer to locate the nearest office near my home. I found one less than three miles from my home. I called and spoke with Mr. **. I was able to get a appointment later that day. My husband and I were greeted by Mr. ** personally. After offering us a seat in his office we were offered water or soda. We had all our paperwork together. MR. ** went through the paperwork and worked on our taxes. He was intelligent and professional. His fee was very reasonable. He submitted our taxes electronically and gave us a copy. We will definitely have him do our taxes next year.

Original review: March 6, 2020

When I came in Walmart in Sterling, IL went to Jackson Hewitt. They provided me with all the information that I need. When I had questions they were professional about my questions that I have asked today. They had excellent customer service. Very Professional. Their prices were excellent. They greeted me with great professional manner and I was very well respected. They were very polite. I would recommend people going there first than any other tax service company existing. If you have any questions. They are open all year round for you 24/7. I love that in a business. Very highly recommended business.

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

The tax repair were very patient with me. I didn't have all my paperwork. He talked very respectful to me and fit me back in so he can finish my taxes. So I'm saying if you want a respectful tax person stop in at the Walmart at the Fond Du Lac location.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I always receive great service and knowledge when I visit Sherry. Sometimes I get the early loan.. but she got me approved the very first time I walked in. I make an appointment and I'm always seen on time. I recommend her to anyone not knowing much about a tax return. She will break it down for you and make sure you understand everything. Thank you sherry.. Me and my daughter will see you in February.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

I've been going to Jackson Hewitt for the last 8 years! I've never had any problems! Ms ** at 3050 MLKing Jr drive in Atlanta and ** at 3581 MLKing Jr drive in Atlanta are the absolute best! They both work really hard to maximize your refund! I highly recommend either of these young ladies. Both are very professional and they both know the job of tax preparation! These ladies are awesome and deserve raises!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

The person that did our Federal taxes did them WRONG!!!! Had to wait 4 months to find this out by getting a letter from the IRS, then had to make an appointment with another office 40 miles away from where we live, to have that person pretty much do our taxes over again the right way, took over an hour. Also our return was a lot less because of her errors. NEVER AGAIN WILL WE USE JACKSON HEWITT. DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Original review: July 12, 2020

Preparer was improperly trained and neglected to file paperwork on health insurance. Caused IRS to kick back return. I had to fix problem myself as my calls were never returned. Had to pay for bad job.

Original review: July 5, 2020

Worst experience of my life. I was charged $1,000. They had my information wrong. Held up my taxes. My address was wrong. I will never ever use this service and when I advised they messed my information up I was not compensated. They still wanted me to pay extra money after they messed up my taxes. Worst experience. I would not recommend this to anyone that I know.

Resolution response: Sept. 25, 2020

Finally, after ten more phone calls to local office and headquarters, they issued an escalation ticket. On September 21, 2020, we received our refund, which was a return of our payment because of all the mistakes that were made on our tax preparation. I have spent countless hours of my time to get this resolved, which should have been paid for as well. I would never recommend this company to my worst enemy. If you value your well-being, find somewhere else to get your taxes done where you know they will be done correctly.

Original review: June 24, 2020

This company is unbelievable. In early February, 2020, I went into Walmart in Castle Rock, CO to have two years of taxes amended 2017, 2018, and 2019 taxes done. I had always done my taxes on TurboTax but didn't know how to amend. It took nearly 7 hours to get them done because the gentleman doing them didn't know what he was doing.

In addition, the computer program didn't allow him to do amended so he needed to contact someone in a higher position to load the program. It took more than an hour twice to get in touch with her and get the job done. All the while, I'm sitting there waiting. He was really trying so I didn't want to make him feel stressed any more than he already was. When they were done, there was no ink in the printer so he couldn't print them out so I had to leave after all that and wait till they called.

I waited about a week with no call, so I stopped in after 11:00 when they were supposed to be open. I waited over an hour and no one showed up. I called "Brian" after looking for phone numbers which is no easy job. He said he would find out what was going on. No call back so I went home. Bryce ** finally called me saying he was the district manager. He said he would meet me there the next day. Of course, he didn't show up saying he had car trouble.

The next day, I met him there and he took over our taxes. He said he had years of experience and would take care of the mistakes he found himself. I called him several times in the next two weeks and he said he wasn't done with them yet. He said he had found multiple mistakes and that we would be reimbursed the over $300 we had paid. He said the check would be coming from home office directly to us. He finally called in about 10 days and said he would drop off our taxes to the same Walmart and we could pick them up. He went over the changes and suggested some ideas for how to handle them. I picked them up somewhere around the end of March. He said due to COVID, the check would probably take longer. It is now June 24, 2020, and we have received nothing from this company.

I called him once and he reiterated and that it might take some time. I have now tried to call him again and left a message. Yesterday, I tried again and he has blocked my number. I have never once been unkind or angry. I have tried hard to be patient and nice but this was the biggest mess by a company well known for doing taxes. I WOULD NEVER, NEVER USE THEM AGAIN AND WOULD RECOMMEND THAT PEOPLE STAY AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE. Jackson Hewitt cannot be trusted in any way, shape or form. I am now absolutely furious with how we have been treated as well as the exorbitant prices they charge for a JOB NOT WELL DONE.

Original review: June 1, 2020

I used Jackson Hewitt Tax Debt Resolution Services to handle an issue that I was having with the IRS. I could never get a straight answer on the best situation to remedy my outstanding tax issue, nor could I ever get a straight answer related to cost involved. The several employees I spoke to within the organization were all rude and condescending and very unprofessional in questions asked. I did not speak to 1 employee within the group that seemed to have any tax background or tax audit experience. I would stay far way from this provider, and save yourself the headache and hassle.

Jackson Hewitt Company Information