2.7/5 (2227 ratings)

File your taxes for 35% off. Use code SLAYIT35

Get Started with TaxSlayer

Visit Site

About Jackson Hewitt

Jackson Hewitt provides online and in-store tax services for consumers at nearly 6,000 locations nationwide. Jackson Hewitt offers three different levels of service and guarantees that consumers get the biggest possible refund by using its software.

Pros

• Easy to file online or in-store
  • Drop-off services available
  • Nearly 6,000 locations

Cons

• Independently franchised locations

Bottom Line

Jackson Hewitt is a tax service and software company with three plan options. The company has a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all tax refunds.

Top Jackson Hewitt Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jackson Hewitt?

Verified

I always receive great service and knowledge when I visit Sherry. ... I make an appointment and I'm always seen on time. I recommend her to anyone not knowing much about a tax ret...

Verified

Fast & easy filling tax office. Clean friendly staff & satisfies all my tax needs. Will refer people to their office. Very knowledgeable on tax questions & offers great loans. I n...

File your taxes for 35% off. Use code SLAYIT35

Get Started with TaxSlayer

Visit Site

What is Jackson Hewitt?

Jackson Hewitt is a nationwide tax service company that specializes in tax preparation, tax filing and debt resolution. The company offers services online and in physical locations, so you can choose your ideal tax experience with Jackson Hewitt by dropping your taxes off at a location near you or filing your taxes online with the assistance of a Jackson Hewitt tax professional.

To get started with Jackson Hewitt, visit the company's website and create a MyJH account. You need to provide:

• Your name
  • A username
  • A valid email address
  • Security questions
  • A phone number

Once you’ve created a MyJH account, you can upload and organize your tax documents, pick a filing office and get assistance from Jackson Hewitt’s tax professionals. If you’d rather work with a tax professional in person, you can drop your taxes off at a Jackson Hewitt office or Walmart location instead of registering online.

Jackson Hewitt provides a Maximum Refund Guarantee, which states the company reimburses you $100 if you don’t receive the best possible refund.

How much does Jackson Hewitt charge?

Jackson Hewitt has three plans for different taxpayers’ needs:

• Free plan: This plan is a good choice for people with up to $100,000 in taxable income who file simple tax returns. The free plan is ideal for those who file with W-2s, receive unemployment income or are eligible for the earned income tax credit (with no dependents).
  • Deluxe plan ($29.99 plus $36.99 per state filed): The Deluxe works best for families with dependents, people paying student loans or educator expenses and those who have retirement income.
  • Premier plan ($49.99 plus $36.99 per state filed): This plan is suited for those with complex tax returns. It's the best option for taxpayers who are self-employed, own rental properties or have an income of more than $100,000.

Jackson Hewitt FAQ

How much does it cost to get your taxes done at Jackson Hewitt?
Jackson Hewitt has three plans that cost different amounts:
  • Free plan
  • Deluxe plan: $29.99
  • Premier plan: $49.99
What do I need to take to Jackson Hewitt?
What you need to bring to Jackson Hewitt depends on which forms you need to fill out to file your taxes. A person filing a basic return should bring:
  • Photo ID
  • Last year’s federal and state tax returns
  • Social Security card
  • Wage statement
Does Jackson Hewitt do tax advances?
Yes, Jackson Hewitt provides refund advances of up to $3,200 on a prepaid card. You can apply on its website.
How do I check my refund status with Jackson Hewitt?
You can check your refund status by logging in to your MyJH account and visiting the Returns Status page.

Is Jackson Hewitt worth it?

Jackson Hewitt receives high marks from customers looking for an in-office experience. The company also has several offices throughout the U.S., so it is very convenient. However, its three different service plans cost more than many of its competitors and are not as in-depth as other do-it-yourself tax programs. If you want a face-to-face experience, Jackson Hewitt is a strong candidate; otherwise, be sure to research other options.

Jackson Hewitt Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jackson Hewitt?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

I sat down, told the woman I was upset that HR Block charged me 400.00 for my taxes. She never told me she was going to charge me 581.00. I’m a single mom, I own nothing. This was insane. And robbing me.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

I just got done filing my taxes with Jackson Hewitt and I’m just plum sick, they charged me $800 to do my taxes which I could have done at any other tax place and I would have got $1000 more on my refund.

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2022

The 2022 season for the early refund and dance started on December 12th 2022. Well I went in today December 13th 2022 with my pay stubs in hand all documentation. I've been a customer of Jackson Hewitt for many years. Everything went through very smoothly and was told right off the bat by the tax preparer aka the office manager whose name just happens to be Candie that was approved for $1,000. Now I have never been denied an ERA so being approved was pretty much expected. Well the following day December 14th 2022 I get a phone call from the bank and let me clarify that Jackson Hewitt no longer uses they switched over to some POS place and I'll explain why I say that. So anyways I called the bank. They tell me I've been red flag because my Experian report is locked. Well no duh...

I lock all my reports and besides I've never ever had to unlock them when I filed for an ERA before, so it was kind of a shock. Been waiting longer than 24 hours for an actual approval even though I was already told that I was approved by the branch manager a woman that's been doing taxes for many many years and even had her own practice doing it. Anyways I'm on the phone with the bank representative. He's explaining to me that I have to unlock the report. They just need to verify who I am so I do. I unlock it and I'm talking to him. He's running my name and he pushes my application through and tells me everything's all good. My name is no longer red flag so I'm like okay cool and he said to wait for an email so I wait. Well got the email today pretty much 1 hour later after I get off the phone with the bank rep and by the way this all happened today or at least most of it. I applied for the ERA yesterday.

So I got the email just flat out telling me that I am denied any kind of ERA and that I will receive a letter from the bank in 30 days. Now none of this ever happened when Jackson Hewitt was with MetaBank for all the era approvals so I guess you have to have excellent credit not a blemish on your credit report just to get an era that they're going to pull from your federal refund anyways so they're not losing any money they're going to get it back they're just advancing you part of your refund but not this thing they're a bunch of God damn leeches so I will not use Jackson Hewitt again because if they're going to go with this Bank and make you feel like a fool and charge you out the ass for services that you are not getting then I'll just go somewhere else maybe a little more expensive but at least I won't have to deal with dishonesty or having some Bank make you feel like a fool.

And by that way the bank that Jackson here is using now is The Republic Bank and Trust Company. So if you don't have great credit or if you have a few blemishes on your credit report or by the way make sure that all your reports are unlocked so that they can snoop through all your personal files but I wouldn't even attempt to apply for the era if you don't have great credit because you will most likely be denied and made to look like a fool especially the end of the year when you have never been denied before and could have definitely used that advance that they would have gotten back regardless. Anyways everyone have a good night. Jackson Hewitt kiss my **.

Original review: May 9, 2022

I would have given 0 stars if possible. This has been the WORST Experience ever. I would NEVER recommend this company to anyone and have shared this experience in person to everyone I know. I scheduled an appointment in early February. When I arrived at the closest office near me, I waited 30 minutes and no one showed up. When I finally got through to a person via phone to ask what was going on - they were 200 miles away and had no idea what was going on. I then called another JH office, made an appointment, worked with a specialist (Dwight). We decided to wait to file, per the agent's suggestion because he said it would be cheaper in a month. The agent kept all original paperwork.

When I called back in a month and a half (before tax day), they had no idea who I was. When I gave them my name they dug deeper and said per their records I had been contacted and I asked them to shred my documents. I hadn't been contacted and they could not give me a supposed date this had happened. Dwight said he contacted me several times and I didn't want to pay the fees (none of this is true, he NEVER called). I WAS LIVID! They connected me with a regional manager who then connected me with someone in Alaska. The Alaska agent (Katrina) supposedly found my information in the system, took my payment for filing, and supposedly set up my monthly payments with the IRS.

After filing I was sent an email to log into Jackson Hewitt to retrieve my paperwork. The link did not work, I had no access to my documents. The Alaska agent said she would look into it. That was over 3 weeks ago and I haven't heard from her, nor has she answered her phone. I then contacted the regional agent, he said he would mail me a copy of my documents, it's been 2 weeks and I still do not have them. I have asked SEVERAL times about my auto pays to the IRS. They have no answer and said they are busy and they'll get back to me when they have time. At this point I wonder if things have even been filed, where all my personal information has been sent out to, and what are my options for moving forward?

I am beyond upset, LIVID, frustrated, and mad! I HAVE NEVER BEEN TREATED SO POORLY!!! In the end the regional manager (Lloyd) said I was a liar. He said his people are educated professionals who have no reason to lie. He said it was easy enough to look on the IRS Site to figure out my payments - even though the filing agent told me nothing of what he followed up with me and said. He was rude and beyond condescending. I still have no paperwork and no idea what the real truth is.

Original review: April 20, 2022

I completed my taxes on 4/15/22 at the Jackson Hewitt located in Walmart at Green Acres Mall with Tax Preparer, Silton Grossett. Whenever I’ve filed my taxes, it takes about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. It took Mr. Grosset 5 hours 45 minutes to complete my taxes 12:58 PM - 6:46 PM (timestamp from Google Maps). He was extremely slow at no fault of my own. I had all my documents ready. He made several mistakes and had to go back to correct. Initially, I was told I would be getting back $5500 refund, then after he received my payment, he changed the refund amount to $1839 because he said that he made a ‘mistake’. He had to make a few phone calls for advice. He also missed my property taxes for the year. This was verified by another Tax Preparer/Reviewer from Jackson Hewitt.

On top of that, he charged me $814! He should have discussed the fee upfront. I’m a single filer with 0 dependents and do not own my own business. I did have capital gains tax on the sale of a 2nd home. I asked him whether it was based on time. He said no, that it was based on the amount of paperwork. I did not have a lot of paperwork. I did not have that amount of money on me. When I asked if I could pay by credit card, I was told that his machine was broken. So, I had no choice but to Zelle it to his boss, Saeeda Pasha since I didn’t have my checkbook. I only had enough cash on me to pay what I thought it would have cost. He also wanted me to come back another day to sign since he couldn’t print the returns. I told him no. I did not want to continue this nightmare.

I strongly believe that my tax returns were incorrectly filed, and am frankly very concerned. My tax return will have to be amended. I inquired about an adjustment in the erroneous/unreasonable charge of $814, and was told that this exorbitant fee was due to my capital gains paperwork. How is that even possible? The message, “File taxes starting at just $59 in Walmart” with Jackson Hewitt is a joke.

Original review: April 6, 2022

My first and last time using JH. I was charged $534 in preparation fees which I’m still unclear as to what exactly those fees were for? The rep wasn’t very experienced she had to keep asking her colleague questions. What’s more, she told me the amount of my refund but what I actually received was nowhere near. In turn I called the office spoke with mgr. He rambled some explanation as to why and when I asked about the fee he stammered all over himself stating it was for preparing your taxes. I will not use JH again nor will I recommend to anyone. I’ve never experienced anything like this before and was definitely overcharged for the poor service I received. A total rip off…

Original review: March 17, 2022

The reason we chose this establishment was because of the $100 discount for new clients. I explained the cost of the other preparer and stated we did not want to spend that much. The preparer was very personable and she explained everything about the W-2. We get to the end of our appointment when the paperwork was printed out and saw that it was 100 more than the other one and the total was $600 for 20 & 21 for a single person with no additional forms, no deductions. That is absolutely ludicrous. They get you with the $100 coupon. I will never be back and I suggest you do your research before choosing them.

Original review: March 11, 2022

Why do we have to give even one star? Don't ever go here. It cost 349.00 to do my taxes and another 100 in fees. I have no allowances, single one W2. It's a scam. Save yourself a headache and stay away.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

I went there about 1044 on 2/26/22 at the Seabrook TX location. I walked and instead of good morning or a hello. It was I just got here. My system is not even up. It was not only what she said but the way she said it. I will not be returning to that location. Some people should not be in customer service.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

Have used them for years and this year has been the worst! 1st the women messed our taxes up (she did admit that), we paid $800 in fees which is triple than any other year! They have a guarantee that states you get the biggest refund or you get your fees back plus $100!! Complete lie! We showed proof of other tax agencies who could of got us more back! Jackson Hewitt does NOT honor that guarantee! Trying to get any assistance is impossible! We have called every number, escalation, created a ticket and nothing! It’s wrong to advertise a guarantee you don’t even honor! And highway robbery to charge $800 and then mess up our taxes! Never will go there again! Crooked!

Jackson Hewitt Company Information