1.20/5

2426 Intuit - TurboTax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I have used TT Deluxe for at least 20 years and am fully satisfied. It carries over relevant personal info and tax data from previous years and allows me to choose to go to a specific item or to allow inquiry about all items, depending on what I need. I use the bundled It’s Deductible to get defensible prices for the many household items we donate. Until two years ago I always printed and mailed in our CA return, but more recently have filed that electronically, too. It will be interesting to see how TT handles the CA adjustments this year, as the new Federal tax law makes it advantageous for us to use the standard deduction for the IRS but itemize for CA.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I am very disappointed with this product the year of 2016. I filled out your program correctly and now I have to pay taxes on a 1099R that your program didn't transfer from when I entered it into the program, so now I owe the IRS over $1200 + the interest rate. I barely have the money to do this now because I am 100% disabled as of January 2017. I will not recommend your service to anyone because technically you say you aren't responsible even though I feel you are because when you appropriately put in information, then it doesn't get added it is your responsibility because you own the software. I will now continue paying an accountant to do my taxes no matter how easy they are, because your software has shown me it is not reliable and has caused quite the financial problem for me.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

This company has extremely inefficient online software. They failed to ask what type of company I have on their online software. I learned after filing taxes with them for the last six years that I had the entire wrong program. The company had allowed me to file taxes for an S corporation as Sole-Proprietorship. They will not take responsibility at all. The money back guarantee is hogwash. I would not recommend TurboTax for anyone personal or business. They claimed to have done all these checks and balances, but fail to ask pertinent questions that affect how an individual is supposed to correctly file their taxes. I trusted this company only to learn now that I have potentially overpaid my taxes, had my company dissolved because the IRS thinks that I have not been filing taxes for my company and I may be hit with some hefty fees. This company is the worst with which I have ever done business.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Filed using TurboTax for years - received an audit notice for tax years ending 2014 and 2015 and a notice of proposed assessment for 2016, Schedule C filer using home for business purposes - the calculator provided in TurboTax failed to recalculate proper percentage of business use of home on Schedule C. Now I owe more money in taxes, penalties and interest than I have earned over the last three years... I will never use TurboTax again. Please take heed all Schedule C filers and find a CPA who knows your business/industry - if not you may come to regret depending on TurboTax - I have had to take out a home equity line of credit to pay the tax bill.

Original review: July 25, 2018

TURBOTAX CALCULATION GUARANTEE IS FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!!! I filed both my federal and state taxes using the TurboTax Deluxe program. 3 months post file date, I received a notice from my local tax commission advising I had 3 weeks to pay additional taxes owed. I called the TurboTax support group and a CPA reviewed my taxes. She said she could not find any explainable reason I owed additional taxes. I was an error in the program, and I should be reimbursed for the amount + interest + penalties. She then had me open a case with the customer service group to review & initiate my refund. I was advised that the guarantee would reimburse me for the $1.38 in interest & penalties only. WHAT A SHOCK! I AM SO ANGRY & will never use TurboTax again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

Original review: July 24, 2018

Being a 24 year Intuit - TurboTax customer (since Intuit acquired TurboTax from Chipsoft) - I was so disappointed with the 2017 product in every possible area. Intuit must be changing their product in response to competition and/or to somehow reduce costs and/or executive changes in their marketing and development groups - they certainly won't keep their long term customers with products like this. It took us 10 times longer to do everything this year and we often got different answers with successive attempts. The laborious idiotic questions we were forced to plow through were just ridiculous. -----I promised myself -- never again!

Original review: July 23, 2018

All I wanted to do was print my 2016-1017 taxes, I used the free edition and it's telling me I have to PAY??? And I don't even know what I have to pay or where to pay. This is CRAZY!!! And there not a number to call. This is holding up business for and costing me $$. This company sucks!!! I will never use them again as they have pushed me to H&R Block next year!!!

Original review: July 16, 2018

We filed our taxes thru TurboTax on April 10, 2017. Our NC state tax was accepted that day including payment info to pay our state taxes. On July 14, 2018 we received a notice that our state taxes were not paid with late fees and penalties. TurboTax did not submit our payment. I contacted TurboTax. The customer service representative tried to help. I was told that NC did not accept online payments, but for some reason, TurboTax allowed my return to process and accept payment information. Their website showed everything being processed on April 10, 2018. I was told that a supervisor was going to call me. I was emailed a case number. Two minutes later, I received another email. My case was closed. TurboTax costs us over $116 in penalties and interest.

Original review: July 10, 2018

If you use this be prepared for the program not to open completed past returns, lose information and if you pay for audit defense throwing your money away. Worthless. IRS audit now going on for over 4 years and Intuit and TurboTax has only made it worse!!

Original review: June 25, 2018

I used TurboTax to do my 2017 State and Federal Taxes. It was received on February 4th and notified that the taxes for the Federal was accepted. It is now June 24 and I still have not received my refund. Contacted the IRS and they researched and told me that my refund was sent to TurboTax on February 22nd. They are now investigating and will contact me in four weeks as to why they have not forward the refund to my bank account.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I prepared my taxes for the first time this spring with TurboTax. The amount of taxes owed they came up with was incorrect for the State taxes of North Carolina and the address to send in the State taxes was incorrect so the State of North Carolina did not receive my taxes. Then I had to pay a $100 late fee to the IRS and retrieve my State tax money from the incorrect address which takes several weeks. I will not be using TurboTax again.

Original review: June 16, 2018

This year when doing my state income taxes, TurboTax doubled the amount of state income tax from my W-2, costing me to expect a refund, when I owed. I was also charged a penalty and interest. Turbotax has become increasingly costly and errors like this one are unacceptable. I'm done with them. An alternative would be to go directly to your state's revenue site and file online with them. Less money, more accurate.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I have always been a consumer of TurboTax since I can remember. However, this year was awful! TurboTax charged my $239.00 for a simple joint filing with dependents tax return. When I called to inquire why I was charged for the employee service (as if I was an independent contractor), I was told it would be refunded. However, in order to receive a refund I would need to pay the entire $239. I went ahead and paid the $239 with my debit card, called back to request a partial refund and was told it would take 5-7 days.

After the week had passed, I still didn’t see a refund on my bank card. I called 6 times before finally speaking to someone that said it would take 6-8 weeks to receive a paper check refund! This is absurd - it took TurboTax 15 seconds to take $239 not rightfully due and now I have to wait until the next quarter to receive a refund for services not rendered. TurboTax should be audited and found in violation of collecting revenues not earned!

Original review: June 12, 2018

I've done my taxes with Intuit every year since I joined the military (6 years now) and I've been mostly satisfied with the service. Their late political grandstanding is disgusting and I won't encourage that level of unprofessionalism by continuing to do business with them. They've begun cancelling and refunding all transactions they deem related to firearm purchases. Gun mugs, gun shirts, gun glasses, and sometimes actual gun sales. They're so bothered by the notion of an armed American citizen that they feel the need to cobble their business into a political platform. Like any business that alienates half of its customer base, you will be burned for it. It's an Orwellian effort at worse, and a childishly misguided business decision at best. I'll do my part to ensure you learn your lesson, Intuit.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I will never use TurboTax again! I used their program online and it showed a return of $20.00 for state taxes. I paid for the extra services and to file my taxes online. I got a letter from the state tax board stating we owe. I tried to contact TurboTax, but seems they are very difficult to get a live body or even an e-mail response when they screw up. No, I did not make an error in my input. I checked very carefully and reviewed everything before I submitted. I now have to figure out how I'm going to come up with $1000 in 5 days, which is impossible.

Original review: June 9, 2018

They don't tell you when you choose to have their fees deducted from the return that you will be charged basically the same amount to your account several months later for "processing fees" from that option. I will not be using this tax service again.

Original review: June 7, 2018

So my refund was short 35.72 with tax... Good way to lose a long time user. I shouldn't have to search small print after the fact to find it. My trust is gone. Bye. Good company... Greasy at $ marketing...

Original review: June 6, 2018

I typically use TurboTax every year with no problems. So, you would think customer service would be able to handle a loyal customer with ease. Well, that's not the case here. I had purchased their regular tax service and had added their alleged "expert service" to my package as I had a tax question that I needed help with. The alleged "expert" gave me bad and wrong advice! Which ended with me having to file an amended tax return. I called TT for a refund for the alleged "expert" service because it was wrong and they told me that even though it took all of 12 seconds to remove the money from my bank account to pay for it, it would take them 3 months to issue a refund for the service. Imagine.

As of today, I am STILL waiting on this refund. I've called 7 times now, and was given the runaround every single time. This last call, I was told that a supervisor would contact me within 24 hours... I was told the exact same thing 4 days ago. So... again, a lie. I am highly disappointed in TurboTax's customer service and their inability to respond to their customers in a timely manner. As a result, they have lost a loyal customer, which maybe to this billion dollar business, doesn't matter... regardless, maybe this review will help others.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I have used TurboTax for years and have used them for the last time. My tax refund was delayed due to my having to provide proof of COBRA payments because I was disabled and unable to work. It was taking too long for them, so I got a letter they were taking their fees out. I told them, "No, you can wait for your money just like I am waiting for mine." I was supposed to get my refund in March, instead I got it in May. They helped themselves to my account anyway before my refund got deposited. I told them I had ELECTRONICALLY AGREED TO WITHDRAWAL WHEN REFUND IS RECEIVED. It didn't matter. They helped themselves to my bank account anyway. So they have been BANNED from EVER taking ANYTHING out of my account again. I would STRONGLY ENCOURAGE USE OF ANOTHER tax preparation firm. If you have given them authorization for taking funds out, revoke it now!!!

Original review: May 18, 2018

I have used TurboTax every year for the past 25 years or so. Always liked the product until this year (2017). It now is horrible to use with a maze of silly questions that do nothing but guide you into areas you don't want -- in the past you were always able to easily input your data and see everything that it affected. That is all gone --- you are stuck with their stupid questions and I found almost certain to end up with an incorrect return. I have a MBA in Finance and can find my way around a 1040 pretty well. I did not agree with the TurboTax results on this year's return but filed it anyway as I was swamped and figured that I would do it again manually this summer and find an amended return. I heard from both the IRS and California within 30 days of filing our 2017 returns that I had overpaid both returns and they were sending me back the overpayments -- the amounts were substantial. I know I will never use TurboTax again. It is a product to AVOID.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I purchased the downloadable cd for business for 2017. I received CPA advice and his remote help to change the 1040 to reflect the resolution for a tax question. However, the resulted 1040 didn't reflect what was entered in the software input's parameter and although I paid for a full review from the TurboTax team, this error escaped the TurboTax team and was discovered by the IRS. When reviewed with a TurboTax professional, the TurboTax professional discovered that the tax software in fact placed numbers on the wrong line. When we tried to do an amendment, that form - 1040X had wrong line information. The TurboTax professional put in a escalation to address this so that I could do an amendment.

Doing the time software investigation, TurboTax consistently told me that I had enter something wrong, that they don't pay "my" taxes. TurboTax never told me that they had updated the software, but inside tried to make me feel that I had entered something wrong in the software. Once the an amendment is started in their software, the 1040 information is zeroed out. The 1040X (amendment) uses the information created from the 1040. Those amounts cannot be changed by you or I. However, when the software itself was updated, the information showed on the correct lines of the 1040X. I have a 1040X from a date before the software was changed and another file after the software changed with unlatching matching line information. The bottom line, the data (numbers) are the same, I can't change the numbers if I want to, so why are the amendments different? Because TurboTax modified their software to get the correct line information.

In spite of the fact that their software created and sent wrong line information that caused IRS to overpay me, and the fact that they had to modify the software to generate a correct amendment, they feel no guarantee is granted because there was no interest or penalties generated by the IRS. No, they wanted some of the money back. TurboTax was not accountable for the incorrect advice that was given to me by their cpa. TurboTax was not accountable for generating a tax return having incorrect line information and sending to the IRS. TurboTax was not accountable for not catching this error in their own review which I paid for. TurboTax was not accountable for any accuracy guarantee.

I know they are not responsible for paying my taxes, but should be responsible for their advice, their reviews and sending misinformation. Without their mistake, I would had not been overpaid. But what really got to me is that they never admitted to any mistake at any time. They tried to put the whole thing on me. I have amendments, documentation showing when they updated the software, letter advising me of their decision. With all of the mistakes they made, they used the fact that interests and penalties were not generated by the IRS to keep from paying $210. Nothing is credible with TurboTax. I will not use again.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I was charged $179.90 for live questions. Last year I was not charged for this. This is a new charged. I was not made aware of this charge until I was about to pay! They said they could not remove it because I use it! Told them I was not made aware of this charge until after I used it. I DO NOT FEEL IT IS FAIR TO CHARGE SOMEONE EXTRA SERVICE IF THEY ARE NOT MADE AWARE OF THEM. I ask to speak to a supervisor. They left me on hold for 15 minutes until they closed. This is not the first time that have done these. Will not use them again! We not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: April 30, 2018

Turbo Tax Canada 2017 - The worst software we have ever used. We paid $57 for that package. Very convoluted and there are minimal instructions. It takes you into infinite loops if you want to make one simple change. Unbelievable. Not even worth as free.

Original review: April 30, 2018

This sucks, you cannot trust the questionnaire mode to do it right, it's full of bugs that can cost you a lot of money if you're not careful. And I just despise the fact that there's almost no alternative than paying a private tax to Intuit every year. Why are we allowing this? Why can't the government provide the same service for free? It feels like a mobile phone provider, ripping you off with the complicity of the government.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I never used TurboTax before, and decided to use it for my son since he is just a teenager who made only around $2000 last year. I received "an offer" of 40% off and gave them a try. After the entire process I was charged the full price, which it was even more than what his return was. And it was rejected at the end. Don't have anyone to contact to fix the problem. FIRST AND LAST TIME USING TURBOTAX!!!

Original review: April 23, 2018

I have been doing my taxes with TurboTax for years. I always got backlash on how the business was a scam and overcharged, but I consistently used the product. This year they showed their true colors. I completed my taxes and paid extra for the audit support as I do every year. I received a letter stating my taxes were under examination so I thought I was audited. I followed up with audit support and never received any assistance. Just an email stating to wait for the letters from the IRS. Some help!! Then I checked my account and noticed TurboTax charged my account (that I only provided for my direct deposit) for the fees that were to come out of my income tax return. When I called I got the runaround for over 60 minutes and still never got a true reason why they charged my account. I will NEVER use TurboTax nor will I recommend them to any my patients or coworkers. I may be only one person but TurboTax lost a loyal customer.

Original review: April 21, 2018

TurboTax sent me an e-mail offering 50% off to use their product. I clicked that link, chose that option and proceeded to do my taxes for the next 2 hours. When it was time to pay it showed full price and not the 50% off. So before paying I got customer service on the line. She shared my screen so we were both looking at the same thing. She verified that I was supposed to have the discount but it was not showing and she could not get it to. After trial and error she told me to click the pay option on the screen and she was issuing a refund. Refund never came and several calls later the company's answer is that they don't know how to issue a refund because of the way it was paid so they won't. I'm told my solution is that the representatives that lied to me will be reprimanded. I've no doubt what they did is illegal. I've saved all my interactions with them and will proceed as far as possible to ensure they don't keep stealing from people.

Original review: April 20, 2018

When I e-filed my 2017 taxes on January 30 online through TurboTax's website I chose the standard free addition with the 1040A form. Which if you ask the cost for filing for that form on their website, it states $0.00 fee. When you begin the process of filing it provides you with different packages that they offer, with additional services that are included for a fee and you are also given the option to upgrade during the process, if needed. During the filing it asked about itemize for your gas, food and uniform. I begin to try to do that and realized it wouldn't be beneficial for the amount with the upgraded cost, so through the navigation I went back to the standard free filing (not itemizing).

TurboTax explained it was a navigation error (glitch) on the website. Which I believe is true because my amount of refund that it showed on the beginning and throughout the filing process never change with the amount to be deducted. Even when I was on the itemizing section page where it explained the fee for upgrading. Once I finished filling I was given the options to pay fees now or have them deducted from the refund if there were any. I chose to have it taken from the refund. I NEVER agreed or authorized to any other options or was I informed if the tax refund was compromised to a debt such as student loans, that I would be obligated to pay the fees by other means.

Until a email they sent me on March 14th stating I owe $82.37 for the fees. And they was going to attempt to collect it from my bank information which was only provided to deposit my refund. I was charged for the 2017 Turbotax Online Deluxe Tax Year 2017 Prep, 2017 Turbotax Online State Wv Tax Year 2017 Prep. I've called numerous times to get this error with the charges fixed before they try to charge my Bank account. Every representative I've spoken to said it shouldn't be a problem because it's obvious. I shouldn't have been charged for that package which provided services that I did not need and also did not use, when the free edition was all that was required for the type of tax filing.

I have numerous case numbers pertaining to this where have spoke with several. On 04/09 a attempt to debit the $82.37 from my checking account at the time didn't have the funds to cover it so the bank did a return item transaction, which caused a $36.00 fee to my account. On April 14th, I spoke with an agent Sheree; Case **, she also had her supervisor assisting her with resolving this issue. With this conversation they concluded that I should not be charged for the online Deluxe package because I didn't use the services with the package.

The supervisor advised her to also let me know the fee for filing state taxes, I will not owe for either because of the trouble. They advised me an email with a link will be sent to me on what documents to provide for the refund of $36.00 bank fee. **. Which has a incident reference **. I sent the requested documents that evening. I've tried calling to check on the status, but was never given an answer. Then on 04/16 another attempt to debit $82.37 from my account caused another $36.00 return item fee. So I called again and again and not one representative could even give me information to help me resolve this problem and put an end to it.

They just gave me the runaround. On 04/18 I sent a PDF file with both reflected fees to the URL for the refund request. Just got a email today 04/20 stated that because the bank he does not reflect NSF fee, it says returned item fee they will not reimburse me for those charges they caused to my bank account. And the reason it doesn't say NSF and it says returned item is because I don't have overdraft on my account but if there is an attempt debit I do get charged a fee to return that back to the sender. I also called and spoke with several representatives to find out why they are still trying to collect that amount and was it was resolved on 04/14 per the conversation reference case **.

The TurboTax representative stated that there will not be any more attempts to collect from my account. Spoke with a supervisor Matthew case # ** advised me he put detailed notes on the account reflecting the issue and try to get a result for me. He also stated my account reflects that I have had 17 interactions with other representative at TurboTax regarding this issue since 04/10. Going today 04/20 my bank and file fraud charges so hopefully I can get my $72.00 in fees they caused.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I filed an online extension with Turbotax (a free service). I know I put my husband's name on the line for that purpose, but when Turbotax sent in the extension request it put my name on twice instead of his name on the correct line. The extension was rejected. I got an email with a button to click to fix my extension but when I signed into Turbotax there was no place to click to fix the extension. So I tried to get help. Their support number gives no support for free services. You have to pay for support even if it was a problem with their software. There is no email to get help. Their online help desk only sends you to answers that do not help get the problem fixed (they tell you you'd better just go to the IRS site and pay instead of having the extension applied for through Turbotax.) What a mistake using this company! Avoid them!

Original review: April 20, 2018

I recently filed my 2017 with TurboTax. I owed $180 and when it came time to pay the TurboTax system rejected my Debit Card... I went to the 1040.gov website to make my payment and received a confirmation number. This morning I checked my bank account and the rejected payment from Turbo Tax went through resulting in a duplicate payment! I know it's not a lot of money but the hassle to get it returned from the IRS I think will be monumental. I would really recommend to people that they don't try and pay their taxes through TurboTax, but print their return and just mail in a check.

Intuit expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

TurboTax is one of Intuit's many financial services products. Intuit, which was founded in 1983, has kept TurboTax at the top of the tax software industry. In 2013, more than 26 million taxpayers across the nation used a TurboTax service.

• Portability: Intuit’s TurboTax software is available on a variety of platforms including web-based, local software installations and even a dedicated iPad app.

• Expert advice: TurboTax customers can chat live with a tax expert at no extra charge.

• Business support: A Business version is available for use by multi-member LLCs, partnerships, S corporations, C corporations, and estates and trusts.

• Review: Intuit removed the option to have a return reviewed by a Certified Public Accountant, a benefit that set it apart from competitors.

• Customer service: Contacting customer service by phone is challenging; the TurboTax website requires customers to use a web form to provide contact information and view online help before releasing a phone number.

• Best for: Sole Proprietors, Small Business Owners, Taxpayers with Special Situations

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

Intuit - TurboTax Company Information