3.5/5 (1329 ratings)

File your taxes for 35% off. Use code SLAYIT35

Get Started with TaxSlayer

Visit Site

About Intuit - TurboTax

TurboTax is a user-friendly tax preparation software program. TurboTax walks you through your state and federal taxes with clear prompts, letting you pay, file and receive returns immediately. TurboTax subtracts its fees from your federal refund with your permission. TurboTax also guarantees to cover any IRS or state debt resulting from a calculation error.

Pros

• Does all the math for you
  • Spanish-speaking services available
  • Tax services for every situation

Cons

• Misuse may create incorrect returns

Bottom Line

TurboTax is an online tax prep and filing software with plans for every tax bracket. It has a 100% accuracy guarantee and promises to help you get the fastest refund possible.

Top Intuit - TurboTax Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Been using TurboTax for many years and love it. It is exceptionally thorough and that is GOOD. Never ever had an issue from IRS on my returns. It has so many wonderful features th...

Verified

Well developed software app by reputable Quicken leads me to trust the tax legality & app reliability. ... I was able to file with confidence that my return was correct. Price is ...

File your taxes for 35% off. Use code SLAYIT35

Get Started with TaxSlayer

Visit Site

How does TurboTax work?

TurboTax coaches you through filing taxes step by step and makes the process simple by centering the process on your lifestyle, not your taxes. Instead of asking about your tax bracket, TurboTax asks about your:

• Job(s)
  • Income
  • Homeowner status
  • Children and dependents
  • Charitable donations

From this information, TurboTax determines what tax bracket you fall in and what forms you need to complete. By filing your returns electronically, TurboTax gets you the fastest refund possible.

TurboTax does all of the math required for your tax forms and guarantees 100% accuracy. Before transmitting your returns, the company uses its CompleteCheck software to run a comprehensive review so nothing gets missed. Once you submit your taxes, TurboTax sends an email confirmation, and you can keep up with filing and tax return progress on the TurboTax app.

TurboTax resources

TurboTax gives taxpayers access to plenty of tax tools and resources on its website, including:

• Self-employed expense estimators
  • Quizzes to help you find out what tax bracket you’re in
  • W-4 withholding calculator
  • ItsDeductible donation tracker

TurboTax offers services in English and Spanish.

How much does TurboTax cost?

TurboTax has four plans with different benefits and services:

• Free plan: If you have a simple tax return, TurboTax doesn't charge you anything to use its services. This plan covers W-2 income, earned income tax credit and child tax credit.
  • Deluxe plan ($60): If you opt for the Deluxe plan, TurboTax searches for more than 350 possible tax deductions and credits. This helps you maximize deductions on your mortgage or property taxes.
  • Premier plan ($90): With the Premium plan, TurboTax adds investment income reporting services for taxpayers with stocks, bonds, employee stock purchase plans or other investments. This plan also gives customers one-on-one time with a TurboTax specialist.
  • Self-Employed plan ($120): TurboTax designed the Self-Employed plan for personal and business income and expenses. You get access to a TurboTax specialist who searches for available industry-specific deductions.

TurboTax FAQ

Is TurboTax Online free?
TurboTax Online is free for simple tax returns like W-2 income, earned income tax credit and child tax credit. If your taxes are more complicated, you need to purchase one of TurboTax's other plans.
Does TurboTax get you the best refund?
TurboTax promises to get customers the best refund possible in the shortest amount of time. The software itself isn’t necessary to get the best refunds possible on your tax returns, as taxpayers are entitled to their refund amounts, but the company's software helps ensure you don't miss potential deductions.
Is it worth it to use TurboTax?
TurboTax's services are worth considering if you're a small business owner or a contract worker, as they tend to have the most complex type of taxes. The software is also helpful for people who don't want to file their own taxes but would prefer a cheaper option than hiring a certified public accountant.
Is it safe to use TurboTax Online?
Yes, TurboTax uses fraud prevention and other security measures to keep your personal information safe.

Is TurboTax good?

TurboTax offers multiple levels of tax services, including a free plan for basic tax returns. Its specialized service is an excellent option for small business owners and contract workers. If you're searching for a tax specialist that operates online only, TurboTax's services might be right for you.

Intuit - TurboTax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - TurboTax?

Original review: April 27, 2022

I picked up Turbo Tax Deluxe (disc version) at a local retail location. My hope was that it would live up to what was advertised and what I had heard about the product. I wanted to be able to efile my taxes AND to make it easier in the future. However, this was not the case. When entering my information into the software, I noticed that when it asked for the AGI, the software would change the amount that I entered. I had not used tax software previously and entered the amount as it was on the forms from the previous year, which was also submitted to the IRS. So, after I tried to efile, I received an email and text that the return was rejected by the IRS. I followed the instructions that were provided and found again, the software would NOT accept the information I entered.

After 40 min on hold and a horrible phone tree, I finally was able to speak with Eric in customer service. He explains that tax software rounds up and that there is a "workaround" in place for this issue. He tells me to select that I didn't file last year. Wait a min, isn't that lying to the IRS? He assures me that it is not lying to the IRS and there will be no issue as it is actually a 3rd party. Hold on, if it is a 3rd party, why does the email and text say it was rejected by the IRS?

Additionally, why was I not notified that my information was being provided to a 3rd party, this was done without my knowledge OR consent. Eric assures me that there will be no issue and this will work. Reluctantly, I followed his instructions. I also said to him that if I have to print and mail my return, I expect a full refund on the software. He said this would not be a problem. After Eric punched me off the phone (so he wouldn't get in trouble) I received another email and text indicating my return was rejected by the IRS.

Fast forward to now, I have been in contact with the Intuit Office of the President, the agent, Candace, which turned out to be one of the most unhelpful customer service agents I have ever encountered. I have emailed the executives that are listed on the Intuit site and have not gotten a response, I sent the email 6 days ago. It has become obvious to me, the culture of horrible customer service starts at the top. I requested a refund on the purchase price of the software AND to have my information removed from the Intuit systems, I also wanted my info removed from the 3rd party system as well. The only response I have received is to submit forms which in turn, puts more of my information into the Intuit system.

The last email (which I am considering posting online) informed me that "I appreciate your candid feedback regarding this matter, and I will provide that feedback to our teams so we may continue to improve. I am sorry we could not reach a more mutually agreeable position on this matter; however, this is our final response." So, their final response is to pass the buck and still not resolve the matter at hand. Good job Intuit OOP agent, way to make a first-time customer feel "valued"

Since I have worked in customer service for most of my working years, I have a very high expectation from CS agents, especially those working in an escalations dept. If you, as a customer want an easy experience, I strongly urge you to find something other than Intuit products since this experience was everything BUT easy.

Original review: April 19, 2022

Charging college students a minimum of $60 when most of us are not working due to full time at school seems completely unreasonable, especially with the removal of the IRS free file program. Your "free" program should list right from the beginning that if you are a student it will not be "free" - instead it waits till you put every single detail in, and are about to file to tell you that actually you have to pay for the deluxe package. And on top of this, for the first time I have seen, you also are charging an additional $49 for filing to my state (IL)? So the $60 including basically nothing, even though in previous years it covered both federal and state? So not only did you decide to get rid of your free program meant for individuals like me and other groups, you also decided to make it even worse by adding a fee that almost doubles how much it was to file in the past. Absolutely repulsive behavior.

I made $0 in tax returns this year but had to come up with $108 because I could not figure out how to use other websites, and do not have time to figure out another way as a full time student. You are absolutely price gouging a vulnerable population but at least your website is user friendly. Otherwise I would have given 0 stars.

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2022

I have used TurboTax happily for over 10 years. Filing my taxes for 2021 was a whole new experience. The explanations were few and far between. In one case when I was in the income section, a blank line, like a photo of a line from the actual tax form showed up with no descriptor other than to say to enter my last year's tax refund (didn't say federal or state), and when I did the review of the document that amount had been labeled my county property tax refund (which it wasn't) under other miscellaneous income. When I put in $300 for charitable donations allowed under the standard deduction, it said it would ask me more about them later which it never did, nor did it ever explain that I didn't need to provide that info. It also never gave me an opportunity to enter my contributions to my Roth IRA for the Retirement Savings Credit. Of course, they make you pay before you review your final documents and by then you cannot clear and start over.

After spending 4 hours trying to fix these problems by clicking on every single option that came up, I went to bed for 5 hours before waking up at 7 a.m. so I could talk to a human w/o being on hold forever. She was able to view my screen and put her mouse where she wanted me to click, but she had no clue what to do either. In fact, she knew less than me because I had 4 hours experience on her! She just kept going over and over the same items trying to do the same thing I had already done.

After an hour of this, and repeated requests to connect me with a higher-up person (who of course never got back to us) I had to hang up while she kept begging me to try the same things over and over. I could not file because I could not click yes on the statement that everything in my return was true. So, I'm out $165. There is no screen that pops up or any email that asks for your feedback. And no address to send a complaint or request a refund. So, I guess filling out these reviews online is the only way to let them know. The good news is I went on FreeTaxUSA and did the whole thing easy peasy: free for Federal, $15 for State, free for Property Tax Refund (completes but does not file) and even a $7 dollar Deluxe add-on that provides in person support and Audit support if needed.

Original review: April 14, 2022

Ordered all of the free versions for filing taxes knowing at the end they would charge me in one way or another anyway. Yes, I was charged, fine (I guess...even though everything was "free"). Premium Services were added on and could not be removed resulting in an additional $44.99 of fees. Contacted Customer Service five different times and in different ways, whenever I'd get on the phone after waiting 20-30 minutes they would hang up when I answered or no I'd sit on the phone hoping someone would answer me, which they did not. Pretty sure TurboTax should be in a ClassAction Lawsuit based upon their shady practices. Steer clear.

Original review: April 14, 2022

At 8:10 pm Eastern time, I experienced an extremely rude Turbo Tax advisor who also was ignorant. Supposed to be helping people - not berating them! I will not ever use Turbo Tax again and I have been a 10++ year customer. Luckily I have a call into a competent tax advisor who felt sorry for me and my situation. He said that Turbo Tax definitely gave wrong information and whoever it was that I talked to should not be doing taxes at all. I would give a negative star if I could. I was shocked that Turbo Tax employs such undignified people. I will definitely be taking my business elsewhere.

Original review: April 11, 2022

You’d have thought one W2 and one 1095A (the Healthcare Marketplace report) was simple enough to qualify for free, but NO – it costs $69 to file Federal and State with just these two forms (versus $15 FreeTaxUSA.com which at least is upfront with their $15 for filing state).

Original review: April 11, 2022

Have been a TurboTax user for 35 years. This year discovered that transfers to the State program leave something to be desired. Turbo Tax expects you to know the state tax law and make manual adjustments. When contacting the helpline, the representative who was an Enrolled Agent confirmed it was the user of TurboTax that had to make adjustments for many differences between Federal and State and sent me the Franchise Tax Board's instructions. So, one must know the California tax law to be certain their state return is correct.

Original review: April 9, 2022

For so many years I have used TurboTax! I have told friends and family to use TurboTax! And they have. NEVER AGAIN. I FOUND THAT MY SON WAS CHARGED MORE THEN I PAY, For an account that should absolutely be FREE! He has minimal income? I am so disappointed actually. They are borderline criminal! I will NEVER USE THEM AGAIN and will inform all they are not to be trusted! If you are doing Taxes run away from TurboTax.

Original review: April 8, 2022

I bought a 50$ disc & when I filed my taxes I was charged an additional 70$ for the service, when your company claims NO additional charges. I emailed the company & attached a picture of my receipt & received a email back stating that I would receive a refund that was TWO WEEKS ago...

Original review: April 5, 2022

I am completely blown away by the incompetence going on at TurboTax. My wife and I signed up for the "Full Service" return that would supposedly provide us with a tax preparation expert to help us file taxes for my LLC business and my wife's Social Security Disability 1099. We were first connected on the phone to a woman who was only there to explain how to upload documents to their website. Okay, cool, that seemed unnecessary but I guess for a first time internet user it would be helpful. Then we were connected to a woman who walked us through uploading all of the documents that our tax "expert" would need. We uploaded everything and were assigned a woman named Malissa who would prepare our taxes, and we were told she would be in touch.

Days went by. We were checking the website 10+ times a day to see if anything was happening, but the message on the homepage just continued to say "You're all set!" After a week went by, I signed into the Intuit site and clicked the field to send a message to Malissa. There were two messages there from her that we had not been notified about in any way. One was from the day we uploaded the documents, and the other msg was from 3 days after that, she had requested that we both file Schedule C documents and upload them. In that message she also made a weird threatening statement that basically said "if you don't upload these documents by tomorrow I will be shutting your return down".

We scrambled and uploaded the documents immediately, and sent her some questions in the chat/message window because we needed advice on how to fill them out correctly. She never replied. We waited another 5 days, checking the website constantly to see if anything was happening. Today we got an email saying "Your Full Service return has been cancelled. We're sorry this happened. Please file again and submit everything again, and you will now have to pay an extra fee for an extension."

Our jaws hit the floor. We requested a call to find out what was going on and were connected to a woman who had no clue about any of this and could not answer any of our questions, but she happily suggested that we start over and submit everything again and pay for the extension fee. Nope. I have never encountered such ineptitude in my life. We need help with this stuff because taxes are complicated and we were afraid of making mistakes or messing something up. I'm pretty sure I have more knowledge about taxes than any of these TurboTax people. Actually feeling very relieved right now that they didn't file for us because who knows what kind of mistakes they would have made that they would have then not been responsible to fix.

Going with Taxfyle now, we were immediately connected to a CPA and we're working with him right now to get everything filed. The price is also literally half of what TurboTax is asking for for Full Service prep. I can't say anything for TurboTax's free services, but please don't spend your hard earned money on this "Full Service" baloney. We can't help but wonder how many people have wound up in hot water because their "tax expert" at TurboTax just shut their return down for no reason after the filing deadline.

Intuit - TurboTax Company Information