3.8/5 (3598 ratings)

About Intuit - TurboTax

TurboTax is a user-friendly tax preparation software program. TurboTax walks you through your state and federal taxes with clear prompts, letting you pay, file and receive returns immediately. TurboTax subtracts its fees from your federal refund with your permission. TurboTax also guarantees to cover any IRS or state debt resulting from a calculation error.

Pros

• Does all the math for you
  • Spanish-speaking services available
  • Tax services for every situation

Cons

• Misuse may create incorrect returns

Bottom Line

TurboTax is an online tax prep and filing software with plans for every tax bracket. It has a 100% accuracy guarantee and promises to help you get the fastest refund possible.

Top Intuit - TurboTax Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Been using TurboTax for many years and love it. It is exceptionally thorough and that is GOOD. Never ever had an issue from IRS on my returns. It has so many wonderful features th...

Verified

Well developed software app by reputable Quicken leads me to trust the tax legality & app reliability. ... I was able to file with confidence that my return was correct. Price is ...

How does TurboTax work?

TurboTax coaches you through filing taxes step by step and makes the process simple by centering the process on your lifestyle, not your taxes. Instead of asking about your tax bracket, TurboTax asks about your:

• Job(s)
  • Income
  • Homeowner status
  • Children and dependents
  • Charitable donations

From this information, TurboTax determines what tax bracket you fall in and what forms you need to complete. By filing your returns electronically, TurboTax gets you the fastest refund possible.

TurboTax does all of the math required for your tax forms and guarantees 100% accuracy. Before transmitting your returns, the company uses its CompleteCheck software to run a comprehensive review so nothing gets missed. Once you submit your taxes, TurboTax sends an email confirmation, and you can keep up with filing and tax return progress on the TurboTax app.

TurboTax resources

TurboTax gives taxpayers access to plenty of tax tools and resources on its website, including:

• Self-employed expense estimators
  • Quizzes to help you find out what tax bracket you’re in
  • W-4 withholding calculator
  • ItsDeductible donation tracker

TurboTax offers services in English and Spanish.

How much does TurboTax cost?

TurboTax has four plans with different benefits and services:

• Free plan: If you have a simple tax return, TurboTax doesn't charge you anything to use its services. This plan covers W-2 income, earned income tax credit and child tax credit.
  • Deluxe plan ($60): If you opt for the Deluxe plan, TurboTax searches for more than 350 possible tax deductions and credits. This helps you maximize deductions on your mortgage or property taxes.
  • Premier plan ($90): With the Premium plan, TurboTax adds investment income reporting services for taxpayers with stocks, bonds, employee stock purchase plans or other investments. This plan also gives customers one-on-one time with a TurboTax specialist.
  • Self-Employed plan ($120): TurboTax designed the Self-Employed plan for personal and business income and expenses. You get access to a TurboTax specialist who searches for available industry-specific deductions.

TurboTax FAQ

Is TurboTax Online free?
TurboTax Online is free for simple tax returns like W-2 income, earned income tax credit and child tax credit. If your taxes are more complicated, you need to purchase one of TurboTax's other plans.
Does TurboTax get you the best refund?
TurboTax promises to get customers the best refund possible in the shortest amount of time. The software itself isn’t necessary to get the best refunds possible on your tax returns, as taxpayers are entitled to their refund amounts, but the company's software helps ensure you don't miss potential deductions.
Is it worth it to use TurboTax?
TurboTax's services are worth considering if you're a small business owner or a contract worker, as they tend to have the most complex type of taxes. The software is also helpful for people who don't want to file their own taxes but would prefer a cheaper option than hiring a certified public accountant.
Is it safe to use TurboTax Online?
Yes, TurboTax uses fraud prevention and other security measures to keep your personal information safe.

Is TurboTax good?

TurboTax offers multiple levels of tax services, including a free plan for basic tax returns. Its specialized service is an excellent option for small business owners and contract workers. If you're searching for a tax specialist that operates online only, TurboTax's services might be right for you.

Intuit - TurboTax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - TurboTax?

Original review: March 6, 2021

I have been a Turbo Tax online user since 1998. It's a big plus to me to have the ability to import prior year's data and personal info, and to know the software is always up to date. There is a lot of help available for those special occasions, and pop-up help is always there to explain terms/definitions. If unsure about something, you can let it walk you through step by step, or you can input directly. Importing from financial institutions helps to prevent errors, too. Only negative is it can get a little pricey, particularly with state returns.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

I have been using Turbo Tax and its predecessors Cantax and Taxwis (Turbo Tax bought them both) since 1998. Trying to figure the various sections of the Tax Code in preparing the annual Federal/Provincial income tax is numbing as there are changes every single year. As it stands If I complete the forms manually, any mistake I make which would have given me a deduction, Canada Revenue will not correct it, however any mistake that cost CRA money will be corrected by CRA. Turbo tax has the tax code, form, explanations and suggestions to assist me in the preparation of my annual tax. It has found me $$ on many an occasion.

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

I've used Turbo Tax for a number of years. I've never had a problem with the software or the IRS. Questions to Turbo Tax are answered promptly. They have several products, I use the "Deluxe" edition as it suits my needs. I can enter possible deductions and determine if it's worthwhile or take the standard deduction. The software leads you through various deductions. Also, it's easy to simply transfer data from institutions and from last years Turbotax software, if used. By comparison, I used H&R Block software one time and did not find it as easy to navigate.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

Intuit TurboTax is great, it's very easy to use and it asks simple understandable questions to fill out your taxes. It makes taxes more understandable for someone that doesn't know how to do the taxes by long way or doing all the math. If you can't afford or just want to save as much money as possible Intuit TurboTax is the way to go. I've used this to do my taxes for the last 5 years and it has made it easy and you can get help if you spend a few bucks and they guarantee your taxes when you use the paid version. If you have simple taxes or know what you're doing then the free version will save you some money. This is a great tax software for everyone.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2021

After not finding my Intuit Turbo card from filing my taxes this year I was trying to find a way to get a new one of course because of Covid-19. And the delays of our state it puts a delay on everything that we do in our daily life and confuses us at times because I got confused and I was getting ready to give up. What I did was I had moved from a location that I did my taxes where they have on file. So I was putting my new address in and it kept booting me out because it was not the address they have on file.

What I can tell you is if everything is correct when you put it in you can disable your card, get a new one sent out, stop everything with your last account in case you did lose or misplace your card. I learnt today old 103 2021 that's when I put in my old address that I did my taxes on. It automatically went through. It went on and Captain my old card and I have a new one getting sent out. Patience is a virtue. Hopefully this will help some people or a lot of people. I'm in Maryland and thanks.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

I filed my taxes months ago and figured everything for be fine. I was told returns in my account in 14 days, that turned into 21 days, turned into over a month before my money was not direct deposited into, a thing I paid nearly $200 after I basic filed everything then at the last screen was forced to after they greyed out the free filing option right at the end, a move that should be illegal, but instead given to some other company, TPG, that then claimed they sent it to my bank but the deposit was rejected, a thing my bank has no record of, and that they sent it as a cashier's check. When I notified Turbo tax they basically told me it wasn't their problem, though of course in a very round about way.

TPG basically is unreachable, and after a month of waiting for this magical cashier's check that disappeared into the void, I think it was never sent, I'm told my only option is to either have then resend the check that I still think never happened, or let them send my return back to the IRS and they won't tell me how to claim my money at that point. Four calls to Turbotax throughout this whole thing and well, they not only aren't helpful, but tell me I have to jump through hoops to request a refund on the so called "Deluxe" service I paid for. How very "Deluxe" waiting months to not get my money and get told repeatedly every one of their screw ups is my problem to laboriously fix. I will never use them again and will post this review every place I can which funny enough, their own website has reviews, but no wait for users to leave a review.... Mmm, how very misleadingly shady...

Original review: July 26, 2021

How I see a tool like Turbotax is given its digital nature, it's able to cross reference inputs you may have entered incorrectly. For example, if you have two scenarios where it asks you for your property tax, it should either not ask me twice so as to prevent me from entering in incorrect information or it should pre-populate when asking for that information again it to allow me to check I entered it correctly. It's these kind of values that makes using a digital tool helpful. Unsure if the platform was making updates but it failed to do so in my 2019 return and now I'm being audited. When asking Audit Defense if I can refile due to the error, the representative in that service (separate company by the way), he said I couldn't and really only could either pay the fines or proceed with the audit. So if I had not used Turbotax to file and just used paper filing or purchase Audit Defense, I would be in the same situation I am now, figuring all this out by myself.

What did I pay for? Both of these services and tools I paid did not provide the things they promised. When I called in to get a refund for those services only for that year, I was routed to a community page to "file a request for a refund" but that form didn't exist. And in looking deeper, a refund wouldn't of been approved given it was past 60 days. A great loophole given most filing and audit request happen years after the fact. The product and service maybe good for the average 1040 filing but nothing else more complicated. 1 star for the bad business practices and inability for long time customers like myself to get resolution. No longer will use the product.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I had to wait months to write this review just so I could have a level head about it. I've used TurboTax Online in the past and had no issues, but this year they put me through the wringer and I will NEVER use them again. I was led to upgrade from the free version to Deluxe for my Federal Return, which I did and submitted. When I went to do my state taxes as normal, it was forcing me to continue in Deluxe and since I had already submitted my Federal, I was unable to change back to Free.

I called Customer Service and explained my situation, the woman gave me a code to downgrade the service and discount it so I wouldn't have to pay for the Deluxe version. I was instructed to put the code in at checkout and proceed as normal, which I did, but it still charged me $180 that I wasn't supposed to pay. Frustrated, I called Customer Service again, was transferred a few times and then told because I checked out (as I was told to do by their other representative), I was fine paying that amount. Clearly I wasn't accepting of that amount when I had called to get it fixed before checking out.

I called Customer Service and got a wonderful agent of 11 years who I believe truly tried her best to help me and seemed to understand my situation, but in the end she was unable to get past the same roadblock of her superior telling her since I paid, even though I was instructed to check out as I did, that nothing could be done. I contacted support through email and followed some steps that the last representative had given me, but after months of hearing nothing I am giving up.

DO NOT EVER UPGRADE with TurboTax, they will force you to do all of your returns in the upgrade, even if you do not need it, and there is absolutely NO warning about that and you'll end up paying more than it's worth. 0/10 recommend anything but the free version and customer service is cookie-cutter only, they won't help you if you have a real problem and they won't take responsibility if it's their fault.

Original review: June 16, 2021

I wanted to file my taxes with them, I paid $185 and waited for a CPA to tell me what to do, so I got a call from one of the CPA that's working for them, and she didn't know anything about anything, and all she did was referring me to online articles to answer my questions! It felt like she was not a real CPA. I decided not file with them and hire a real CPA. I asked back my payment, and they refused to pay it back, just like that. My advice for anyone is to stay away from this company. It is no more than A BIG SCAM!!

Original review: June 13, 2021

I have used TurboTax for the past several years. I am NOT a tax professional, yet every year I end up having basic questions that I end up knowing more about than any TurboTax "professional" I speak with, after about a half hour of research on the IRS website. This year, TurboTax screwed up my home mortgage interest deduction. I did a straight refinance of my home mortgage in 2020. TurboTax added the two mortgage loans into one total mortgage, without alerting me, and then based on that total amount capped my total deduction for interest paid in 2020--without alerting me. All of this is based on my own research and it's impossible to get a hold of anyone to verify, but based on past history they wouldn't know more than me anyway. Now I have to file an amended return, and if I do that through TurboTax, I'd have to pay. No thanks. I'll be doing my taxes elsewhere from now on.

Intuit - TurboTax Company Information