Intuit - TurboTax

Compare Tax Services

Research top Tax Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We had been using Turbo Tax for years with no problems... Or so we thought. Then recently we had funds in a savings account that were seized Premier Credit who were collecting for the Indiana Dept. of Revenue. When we called the DOR they said it was for failure to pay 2012 taxes of $462. Looking back on our records, we showed a confirmation from Turbo Tax that the tax return was submitted to the IDOR and funds were to be withdrawn from our checking account to pay the taxes owed.

Fast forward to this year. I try to withdraw money from our credit union only to find there is a tax levy on the account and they are seizing $237 from the account. This came as a real shock as this is the first we knew about any problem with the DOR not getting their money. The bottom line is that now, instead of owing the DOR $462 we owe them over $1100 because of penalties. A call to TurboTax offers no solution and they actually hint that it's "our" fault for not checking our bank account to make sure the funds were withdrawn. Really? I don't mind paying the taxes that are due, but I am not willing to pay the penalties for something that is obviously NOT our fault... Especially when we received a confirmation email from TurboTax for the 2012 return. This whole thing has turned into one big fiasco. I will never use Turbo Tax again.

TurboTax messed up 4 times in filing my paperwork and finally fixed it so the IRS would accept it. After a few months I needed my tax return, so I go online to download it just to find that it was only the original document WITHOUT any of the changes. I called and figured they could easily fix that and the woman just kept arguing with me about the fact that there were no changes made. Now I have to go to the IRS and get the proper documents because TurboTax only has the messed up ones.

TurboTax does not calculate the modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) correctly. The problem is that the TurboTax MAGI calculation worksheet used to determine passive activity limitations, does not include social security benefits, thereby making the MAGI appear lower than it should be. In my case, I have social security benefits. That should have been added back in the the AGI to determine the MAGI. Because TurboTax didn't include it in the MAGI calculation, I will now owe 2015 back taxes, fees, and penalties as well as back additional medicare fees. I have attempted to contact Intuit many times to resolve this issue, but they have never responded. My experience with TurboTax has been very costly and I do not recommend it to anyone especially those that have a home business and rental property as I do.

I have used TurboTax a dozen time since my first one. This time I didn't get my taxes. Received Jan 19, after a month I tried to contact TurboTax. They are robots. Don't have a way to talk. First my w2 was fraud filed so I had to prove my identity. Then they gave me a deadline for 4 weeks to review and they would send a letter or check. They missed deadline. Then they said 4 weeks, no response again etc. It is now October and they gave me another deadline. This has happened to majority of TurboTax users, just read message boards. I truly believe that was their fault. Unless you got extra money and aren't depending on it, try for yourself. They lost my business. Oh and the fees they charge you for certain warranties, if it is not paid by our refund they take it out of bank if you don't get your refund after a month or two.

I have purchased tax version home and business for years 2013, 2014, and 2015. 2013 and 2015 both have had errors that wiped out part of my refund. They claim they get you the best return. Did better when I did it using the fill in forms from IRS. Don't waste your money. I will not use again. They test their product using data that will work without a hitch but when I put in my savings bond income that was used for education and should have been tax free I ended up paying taxes on it because their software could tell the difference between 1027 and 1027. Both are the same but software said differently and I was stuck in a loop where it wouldn't transmit. I have to give up the tax free status and pay the tax on it just to get it through. Cost me $200 of my refund.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

Filed for an extension. They randomly decided to wipe out all of my info online. I called a number of times and complained until I got something for my troubles (software). They claimed it was free and wouldn't wipe out my information. Did the return AGAIN, then they tried to charge for the software. Called a few more times. One person said I could get a code if I called back when I was using the software and get the charge wiped out. Called again to execute... no such thing. Claimed I could only print and send the state to avoid payment. Tried to e-file the Fed return. Got kicked back for verification issues. Nothing but a headache just to PAY TAXES (no refund). How can a presidential candidate evade taxes (of which could single-handedly fund a government organization) but I can't pay my taxes without the struggle of a lifetime? Free or not... I WILL NEVER EVER EVER USE TurboTax AGAIN!!!!

Turbotax offers the choice at the beginning of the program to walk you through "everything" or else allow you to "choose" for yourself what you want to work on. I chose the latter since my taxes are fairly simple. The only difference that year were nontaxable rollovers. Turbotax, however, did not distinguish between my pension and these nontaxable funds, even though I had explicitly specified that my pension was taxable and not an IRA/SEP/SIMPLE. Box 2a, moreover, defaulted to the nontaxable category. This contradiction should have been flagged in Turbotax's final review.

When I called Turbotax to say there must be a problem given the huge tax refund, they said they stood by their product. I subsequently called Social Security, my employer, and TurboTax for assistance. Eventually, the IRS hit me with a notice and fine, etc. Only by going walking myself through "everything" did I discover the problem. When I informed Turbotax about the IRS, the rep was rude and completely resistant to taking any kind of ownership with the problem.

I don't understand all the problems others seem to report. I've been using it to do my taxes for 20 years without problem. And my situation includes filing a K-1 for a partnership. Own my own home (primary residence, no vacation property). Manage my own stocks/bonds/investment portfolio. Retired with both regular and Roth IRA accounts. I've had no problems. For cases where people have filing issues, makes me wonder if they know how to do things right and get e-receipts to assure the filing has been accepted/received by the IRS.

We filed our taxes and I received a corrected W-2 from my employer for about $1,200.00 extra due to being on medical disability for 1 month. We filed an amended return and paid an extra $780 federal. I received a letter from the IRS asking for the related documents for the amended return (I thought these were already provided to them?). After sending them the corrected W-2, I received another letter saying I owe and additional $1700.00. How did they mess this up so bad? It's the weekend so I haven't been able to contact them yet. But I certainly won't be using them ever again and hope to get a refund on the cost of the software at least. DO NOT USE TURBOTAX!

TurboTax did not file my tax return properly and I got a penalty from IRS last month. After I filed a claim for accuracy with Intuit - TurboTax, they sent me an email asking me to contact IRS and saying that they do not receive any incoming email... Does anyone like to buy the no reliable services?

I have tried to use TurboTax for at least the last 3 years. Year after year, I get a notice from the IRS that I owe. I will never use TurboTax again, and I will tell everyone I know to never ever use them as well. I cannot stand these people.

Consumer Increased Rating!

We purchased the 2015 TurboTax CD and did our return... Then a friend asked my husband, who is an accountant, to do his. Supposedly, we can do up to 5 returns on our account. When we went to create a new return to do his friend's taxes, THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY TO CREATE A NEW RETURN... This is the most user unfriendly program we have ever used. Never again will we buy another TurboTax product.

I used Turbo Tax and never again will I ever! I tried doing my own taxes and I will never do that once again either. How on Earth, was my identity stolen for one? Also, now I have had to wait an additional 6 weeks and no feedback, no letter from the IRS. Nothing! It is craziness. I have called the internal revenue service and now I am going to have to mail in a form to the IRS Advocate address, because I need assistance. Where is my dang refund? I got my state one, so..??? It is ridiculous and not right at all to say the least! I e-filed my taxes the first time and that was a really long time ago to begin with. The second time, I was told to mail my copy in and I mailed in to the Texas address and nothing. I don't really know what I am going to do right now, though. Who knows where it is and I am to the point of just giving up. I guess I will just get another damn letter? LOL!

Filed my taxes with TurboTax. Received a letter from the IRS two months after filing, needing more information. In the meantime, turbotax double their fees for service and took it directly out of my bank account without warning. Never using them again and I hope others hear about their deceiving ways and do the same!

I used TurboTax because Tax Act upgraded their online security so much that it would not let me log on. Beware, they charge an almost $40 bank processing fee and a host of other fees that were probably disclosed somewhere in fine print. It is June 4th now and still no refund. What a scam!

Been paying taxes using TurboTax home business for the last 8 years. Found out TurboTax never asked me to pay Hawaii general excise state tax. Now I owe thousands of dollars and I thought using this software would keep me legal as I go. Now I am ruined.

Got a letter from the IRS stating I owed them over $5000 and I was using TurboTax for my tax preparations. Bad part was I used it while millions were using it at the same time just like what they did to the PlayStation network and the Microsoft servers. Too much requests at the same time made it glitch. I wouldn't believe TurboTax when they say they check their servers and found nothing wrong. Of course nothing was wrong now but there could've been something glitch. When a lot of people went on to their servers, that's how it glitch.

So TurboTax gets an "F" for the year. We filed our taxes on Mar. 31, and I was very careful entering all our data and so on. I paid the $65 fee to TT for the filing, and had them send our refund directly to us (direct deposit). We entered the account details, my wife was watching as I did all that, she remembers distinctly that I double-checked all the account info for the refund. Well, I didn't double-check my return (before filing) so the refund went to some unknown routing and account number somewhere... We looked at the routing and acct numbers that are on the actual 1040 form and they didn't come from anything I typed... Way to go TT, you failed this year, and I paid $65 for that?

The refund was issued on April 8. The "Expert" I just spoke with said it would be bounced back to the IRS within 10 days, since details (name on acct assumedly) do not match. Then, the IRS cuts a check and mails it to you. 5-6 weeks later, you get your refund (by next year most likely). Again, thank you TT. We will NOT be using TT again! Don't they test that stuff?

My experience with TurboTax and Intuit who owns TurboTax has been the worst customer service I have ever tried to work with. I have called at least 20+ different times trying to resolve a billing problem and cancel a service I don't want. All they do is give you a different number to call or hang up on you when you ask to talk to a supervisor. Don't do business with this company. They will not cancel their bad service and will continue to bill you and hang up on you. Now when I call I get a message that the company is having a business meeting in the middle of the day, then call ends. Great service **.

I have used TurboTax for years but never again. Due to banking at a certain bank my State Tax was to be free. Nope didn't happen. When I wanted to file my taxes there was a charge of $59.98 and I am still not sure why I was charged this. I have sent three emails, chatted with someone online and spoke with a representative. I was hung up on after refusing to let this person take over my computer. I don't think so. I asked for a supervisor, he said he was the supervisor and I asked for someone in the United States and he refused, then he hung up on me.

Have used TT since 2008 and, while I've run across times when I didn't agree with the results and had to revise to my own version, I expect computer programs to handle simple math and transferring info from one form to another. (I'm terrible on arithmetic, so rely on calculators and programs like TT to handle the those basics.) In this case TurboTax 2014 manufactured a withholding amount of $800 some dollars on my pensions out of thin air. That created a refund, that was fictitious, only I didn't find out until over a year later! There was another item I needed to research, so I filed an extension in April 2015. When October came around, I forgot about doing the final filing. When I did remember it, I didn't worry because I "knew" I had a refund coming to me.

I finally got around to filing in April 2016, only to have IRS return the form asking for documentation on the withholding. When I checked the TurboTax file there was that fictitious $800+ on the 1040. When I drilled down, the source document was my pension and that $800 figure (properly) was nowhere to be seen. I was in shock. I was going to have to pay penalties and fees and... Oh no! So I went to town, where we fortunately have a local IRS office and spoke to them. Since I only owed about $100, my total due would likely be under $200. Not great, when I was expecting a refund, but survivable. Whew!

My next plan was to get more info from the TT file and complain to TT. The file was gone! There is no sign of it anywhere on my computer (neither a .tax2014 nor a *pdf file). I'm relatively computer savvy, so I checked EVERYWHERE! I found the program and a 2014 file for someone else that I'd done, but MY file is totally gone. How can a computer program do this? I'll never trust TurboTax again. (BTW, tried to add a copy of my Amazon order page for TT, which I downloaded from Amazon and your system said "file type not allowed".)

TurboTax failed to calculate taxes correctly when APTC repayments are required. The software seems to focus on the penalty calculation rather than the tax calculation. It does not accept Form 1095-A entry if you had ACA Marketplace coverage for a portion of a year. From this it generates IRS Form 8962, which is required to compute your premiums, and subsidies, and whether you are entitled to the APTC. It never completes this form, nor gives you an option to do so.

In my case, TurboTax finished the return and calculated a total $2,210 Tax Due without considering that I was required to repay 100% of the APTC received in 2015. I got a 12C letter from the IRS, requesting I submit a reconciled form 8962... which is impossible to do with TurboTax. I downloaded the form from the IRS with instruction, completed it, and it turns out I owe the IRS an additional $3,318 for which I had to file an amended return.

So Turbo Tax was off by $3300. Nowhere in the 2015 "Premium" package do they offer the opportunity to complete this form accurately. They do review your form 1040, say it is "done," and let you file it electronically while claiming that they will ensure all forms and calculations are accurate! Next year I plan to use a CPA to prep my taxes. Definitely less expensive than TurboTax!

A friend of mine told me that she would help me do my taxes using TurboTax because I needed to save money. We sat down and she helped walk me through the process. But, we both felt like there was something wrong so instead of going through with it I told her that I didn't feel comfortable going through with it and decided to pay someone else to do it. A month later I look at my credit card statement and they charged me. I did not authorize them to continue with the transaction and they charged my credit card. I called and the lady refused to let me speak to a manager and kept asking me how they got my credit card number. I was so furious with trying to get out of refunding my account and the problem didn't get solved. Pay someone else. They were off on my taxes and they will take your money anyway. Worse customer service.

I've been a customer for years and nothing but PROBLEMS! They charge twice for single items; customer service is non-existent -- my tax returns delayed EVERY year for no reason -- I just cannot take it, so I'm never doing business again (it's like a thing where you say "I'll try again next time and it'll be better" or "it's just a fluke I have to wait months for my tax return." Just go elsewhere, really...

I have been a happy TurboTax customer for over 6 years now. Unfortunately, my income has been dramatically reduced since last year. I filed my taxes the same way I always do. I was never prompted to pick a product to file with. I have since found out that TurboTax always selects how you chose to file last year (no prompt or option on how to file). After reviewing my filing I found out that TurboTax charged me $104.99 for something I could have filed myself for free on the IRS website. What a racket! I will never use this service again and have contacted some of my friends in the Bay Area who work with press agencies and tv stations to add to the many complaints they are currently collecting against TurboTax! This happens to, on average 13% of tax filers through TurboTax!

TurboTax is a complete waste of time here. All it asks is if you had health coverage all year. Once you answer yes, it says that is all they need and you are "done". From this they generate IRS Form 8962, which is required to compute your premiums, and subsidies, and whether you got the correct credit if you were qualified. It NEVER completes this form, nor gives you an option to do so.

In my case, Turbo Tax finished the return and calculated a total $2520 REFUND all because of Obamacare. I got a letter (12c) from the IRS, requesting I submit a RECONCILED form 8962... which is IMPOSSIBLE to do with turbotax. I downloaded the form from the IRS with instruction, completed it, and it turns out I OWE the IRS $1230. For which I had to file an amended return.

So Turbo Tax was off by nearly $4,000. NOWHERE in the 2015 "Premium" package do they offer the opportunity to complete this form accurately, or even warn you. And yet they review your form 1040, say it is "done", and let you file it electronically while claiming that they will ensure 8962 is accurate! Not only is this incompetence and negligence on the part of Intuit, but fraudulent and can catch taxpayers off guard. Next year I plan to try different software to prepare my taxes.

I wish I would have check these reviews prior to using TurboTax. I did their free promo filing and got a bill for 76.99. When I called the girl said "oh it starts out free then it's not". Now they are saying they are going to withdraw directly from my check book, which scares me because I don't have the money to spend on this. If I would have know they were going to charge I would have done it manually myself!

I subscribed to TurboTax MAX and was promised that, if the need arose, I'd have access to expert advice. I went through their online request process and, on both occasions, was assured of a call within ten minutes. It has been over three hours since the first request (ID # **), and an hour since the second request (ID # **) but have not received a call.

I used TurboTax for my 2013 taxes. I filed married filing jointly, entered my W-2 information & my spouse's information & I received a confirmation # stating everything went through. Now, in 2016, I am getting a letter from the IRS stating I did not file my taxes in 2013!! WTF!! I have tried to retrieve my 2013 filing information, but all I was able to pull up was my spouse's information!! Thank you TurboTax!! I will never use you or recommend you to anyone!!

I did my taxes early (Jan. 30th) because I knew I would owe money on both federal and state. I went to check out and it was $91.00. I waited til April 12th to finalize and when I went to checkout it charged me $121.

Expert Review

Melissa Hincha-OwnbyTax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.    More about Melissa→

TurboTax is one of Intuit's many financial services products. Intuit, which was founded in 1983, has kept TurboTax at the top of the tax software industry. In 2013, more than 26 million taxpayers across the nation used a TurboTax service.

• Portability: Intuit’s TurboTax software is available on a variety of platforms including web-based, local software installations and even a dedicated iPad app.
  • Expert advice: TurboTax customers can chat live with a tax expert at no extra charge.
  • Business support: A Business version is available for use by multi-member LLCs, partnerships, S corporations, C corporations, and estates and trusts.
  • Review: Intuit removed the option to have a return reviewed by a Certified Public Accountant, a benefit that set it apart from competitors.
  • Customer service: Contacting customer service by phone is challenging; the TurboTax website requires customers to use a web form to provide contact information and view online help before releasing a phone number.
  • Best for Sole Proprietors, Small Business Owners, Taxpayers with Special Situations

Compare Tax Software and Services