1.2/5 (67 ratings)

File your taxes for 35% off. Use code SLAYIT35

Get Started with TaxSlayer

Visit Site

About Intuit - TurboTax

TurboTax is a user-friendly tax preparation software program. TurboTax walks you through your state and federal taxes with clear prompts, letting you pay, file and receive returns immediately. TurboTax subtracts its fees from your federal refund with your permission. TurboTax also guarantees to cover any IRS or state debt resulting from a calculation error.

Pros

• Does all the math for you
  • Spanish-speaking services available
  • Tax services for every situation

Cons

• Misuse may create incorrect returns

Bottom Line

TurboTax is an online tax prep and filing software with plans for every tax bracket. It has a 100% accuracy guarantee and promises to help you get the fastest refund possible.

Top Intuit - TurboTax Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Been using TurboTax for many years and love it. It is exceptionally thorough and that is GOOD. Never ever had an issue from IRS on my returns. It has so many wonderful features th...

Verified

Well developed software app by reputable Quicken leads me to trust the tax legality & app reliability. ... I was able to file with confidence that my return was correct. Price is ...

File your taxes for 35% off. Use code SLAYIT35

Get Started with TaxSlayer

Visit Site

How does TurboTax work?

TurboTax coaches you through filing taxes step by step and makes the process simple by centering the process on your lifestyle, not your taxes. Instead of asking about your tax bracket, TurboTax asks about your:

• Job(s)
  • Income
  • Homeowner status
  • Children and dependents
  • Charitable donations

From this information, TurboTax determines what tax bracket you fall in and what forms you need to complete. By filing your returns electronically, TurboTax gets you the fastest refund possible.

TurboTax does all of the math required for your tax forms and guarantees 100% accuracy. Before transmitting your returns, the company uses its CompleteCheck software to run a comprehensive review so nothing gets missed. Once you submit your taxes, TurboTax sends an email confirmation, and you can keep up with filing and tax return progress on the TurboTax app.

TurboTax resources

TurboTax gives taxpayers access to plenty of tax tools and resources on its website, including:

• Self-employed expense estimators
  • Quizzes to help you find out what tax bracket you’re in
  • W-4 withholding calculator
  • ItsDeductible donation tracker

TurboTax offers services in English and Spanish.

How much does TurboTax cost?

TurboTax has four plans with different benefits and services:

• Free plan: If you have a simple tax return, TurboTax doesn't charge you anything to use its services. This plan covers W-2 income, earned income tax credit and child tax credit.
  • Deluxe plan ($60): If you opt for the Deluxe plan, TurboTax searches for more than 350 possible tax deductions and credits. This helps you maximize deductions on your mortgage or property taxes.
  • Premier plan ($90): With the Premium plan, TurboTax adds investment income reporting services for taxpayers with stocks, bonds, employee stock purchase plans or other investments. This plan also gives customers one-on-one time with a TurboTax specialist.
  • Self-Employed plan ($120): TurboTax designed the Self-Employed plan for personal and business income and expenses. You get access to a TurboTax specialist who searches for available industry-specific deductions.

TurboTax FAQ

Is TurboTax Online free?
TurboTax Online is free for simple tax returns like W-2 income, earned income tax credit and child tax credit. If your taxes are more complicated, you need to purchase one of TurboTax's other plans.
Does TurboTax get you the best refund?
TurboTax promises to get customers the best refund possible in the shortest amount of time. The software itself isn’t necessary to get the best refunds possible on your tax returns, as taxpayers are entitled to their refund amounts, but the company's software helps ensure you don't miss potential deductions.
Is it worth it to use TurboTax?
TurboTax's services are worth considering if you're a small business owner or a contract worker, as they tend to have the most complex type of taxes. The software is also helpful for people who don't want to file their own taxes but would prefer a cheaper option than hiring a certified public accountant.
Is it safe to use TurboTax Online?
Yes, TurboTax uses fraud prevention and other security measures to keep your personal information safe.

Is TurboTax good?

TurboTax offers multiple levels of tax services, including a free plan for basic tax returns. Its specialized service is an excellent option for small business owners and contract workers. If you're searching for a tax specialist that operates online only, TurboTax's services might be right for you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - TurboTax?

Original review: July 10, 2022

Turbotax wouldn't receive information from the CRA properly, would only copy a few bits of information at a time, and then enter the information some more than once. Received zero assistance. I can understand why Turbotax is not registered for google ratings.

Original review: July 9, 2022

The free Turbo Tax ad I received was not free and I was charged for my 2021 taxes. I messaged them with no reply. They then made a mistake on my state returns. I live in one state and work in another. They apparently according to my tax preparer, do not have a good record in filing state returns in that situation. So I had to have my previous tax preparer file a amendment with the state returns, both. I was supposed to get a much higher amount from my state. It takes a entire year and half to have someone check your amended return. So not only am I out the money I paid Turbo Tax but I had to pay my tax preparer, and I am not getting my refund anytime soon.

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 7, 2022

Filed my 2022 taxes. 1) They filed I didn't receive a stimulus which I did. 2) They said to take tax bill out of my tax return which they do not make clear that they will charge 40 dollars for. So my 63 plus 49 I ended up paying them over a 100 dollars and when you enter bank account information it's not for the IRS it's a 3rd party company that's now got your information. I would suggest using a tax person and pay a little more. At least your information is safe. Never again will I use Turbo. Crooks. No wonder they got sued!

Original review: June 3, 2022

I have been a satisfied Turbo Tax customer for years. However, my daughter recently filed her return with Turbotax online and was supposed to receive a refund from both federal and state. After 9 weeks and still no refund, and many attempts to contact Turbo Tax, I've decided to file a complaint at the Better Business Bureau and also a Consumer Complaint with USA gov't. There is no option available on the Turbo Tax website to write an email, the only option for Contact Us is an 800 number. After spending several minutes trying to get past their robotic voice assistant, it finally connects you to a number where you remain on hold until you can no longer put up with it, and hang up. I will no longer use this company, and highly recommend to other customers to follow suit.

Original review: May 19, 2022

Good morning. My name is Shearry **. The reason for this complaint is because for a couple of years I have used TurboTax for a couple of years and up to this point I had no problem with them until now. On April 9, 2022 I filed my taxes with Turbotax and I put the correct information on my taxes. Unfortunately, during this time, someone filed taxes under my name and social security number by putting false information i.e. I'm married with a child and that's not true. They took my money from my refund without my consent. At the same time, they didn't send my full refund. I'm very disappointed with Turbotax and this is why I'm filling this complaint. Is there anyway you can help with this situation? Thank you so much.

Original review: May 12, 2022

I've used TT since the beginning. Then came the Online version. Found questions often misleading, causing me to have check the wrong box regarding the 3rd Federal Economic Relief payment. Then got letter from IRS asking for payment of $2800 + $7.50 penalty. Contacted TT Expert for help. After a 30-40 minute chat, he finally admitted that he was referring me to the FREE IRS Tax Advocate! I feel gypped! In addition to this specific incident, I want to point out that throughout I was distracted from the task at hand by constant pestering for upgrading level of service. Also, in the old PC version I could flip over to the actual IRS & CA forms so I could see the actual implications of choices made in the answering questions.

Original review: May 11, 2022

So you guys are deducting $295 out of my bank account for your services. My taxes have been processing for four months now. You can’t get a hold of the IRS but you guys can’t do anything to see if they have a problem with my taxes because they’re not always sending out letters. You guys are my tax people for what? You guys can’t do anything to help me. Why do you guys charge for something and you don’t help people? Your company is useless. It is just a fraud for money. $300 and you guys can’t help me. What a shame. I hope your company with the lawsuit really gets fined because you are false advertisement and your company does not stand up to what it says. Useless, fraud. $300 down the drain for what and you guys can’t help me when the IRS doesn’t answer their phone. Wow.

Original review: April 27, 2022

I picked up Turbo Tax Deluxe (disc version) at a local retail location. My hope was that it would live up to what was advertised and what I had heard about the product. I wanted to be able to efile my taxes AND to make it easier in the future. However, this was not the case. When entering my information into the software, I noticed that when it asked for the AGI, the software would change the amount that I entered. I had not used tax software previously and entered the amount as it was on the forms from the previous year, which was also submitted to the IRS. So, after I tried to efile, I received an email and text that the return was rejected by the IRS. I followed the instructions that were provided and found again, the software would NOT accept the information I entered.

After 40 min on hold and a horrible phone tree, I finally was able to speak with Eric in customer service. He explains that tax software rounds up and that there is a "workaround" in place for this issue. He tells me to select that I didn't file last year. Wait a min, isn't that lying to the IRS? He assures me that it is not lying to the IRS and there will be no issue as it is actually a 3rd party. Hold on, if it is a 3rd party, why does the email and text say it was rejected by the IRS?

Additionally, why was I not notified that my information was being provided to a 3rd party, this was done without my knowledge OR consent. Eric assures me that there will be no issue and this will work. Reluctantly, I followed his instructions. I also said to him that if I have to print and mail my return, I expect a full refund on the software. He said this would not be a problem. After Eric punched me off the phone (so he wouldn't get in trouble) I received another email and text indicating my return was rejected by the IRS.

Fast forward to now, I have been in contact with the Intuit Office of the President, the agent, Candace, which turned out to be one of the most unhelpful customer service agents I have ever encountered. I have emailed the executives that are listed on the Intuit site and have not gotten a response, I sent the email 6 days ago. It has become obvious to me, the culture of horrible customer service starts at the top. I requested a refund on the purchase price of the software AND to have my information removed from the Intuit systems, I also wanted my info removed from the 3rd party system as well. The only response I have received is to submit forms which in turn, puts more of my information into the Intuit system.

The last email (which I am considering posting online) informed me that "I appreciate your candid feedback regarding this matter, and I will provide that feedback to our teams so we may continue to improve. I am sorry we could not reach a more mutually agreeable position on this matter; however, this is our final response." So, their final response is to pass the buck and still not resolve the matter at hand. Good job Intuit OOP agent, way to make a first-time customer feel "valued"

Since I have worked in customer service for most of my working years, I have a very high expectation from CS agents, especially those working in an escalations dept. If you, as a customer want an easy experience, I strongly urge you to find something other than Intuit products since this experience was everything BUT easy.

Original review: April 19, 2022

Charging college students a minimum of $60 when most of us are not working due to full time at school seems completely unreasonable, especially with the removal of the IRS free file program. Your "free" program should list right from the beginning that if you are a student it will not be "free" - instead it waits till you put every single detail in, and are about to file to tell you that actually you have to pay for the deluxe package. And on top of this, for the first time I have seen, you also are charging an additional $49 for filing to my state (IL)? So the $60 including basically nothing, even though in previous years it covered both federal and state? So not only did you decide to get rid of your free program meant for individuals like me and other groups, you also decided to make it even worse by adding a fee that almost doubles how much it was to file in the past. Absolutely repulsive behavior.

I made $0 in tax returns this year but had to come up with $108 because I could not figure out how to use other websites, and do not have time to figure out another way as a full time student. You are absolutely price gouging a vulnerable population but at least your website is user friendly. Otherwise I would have given 0 stars.

Original review: April 19, 2022

I have used TurboTax happily for over 10 years. Filing my taxes for 2021 was a whole new experience. The explanations were few and far between. In one case when I was in the income section, a blank line, like a photo of a line from the actual tax form showed up with no descriptor other than to say to enter my last year's tax refund (didn't say federal or state), and when I did the review of the document that amount had been labeled my county property tax refund (which it wasn't) under other miscellaneous income. When I put in $300 for charitable donations allowed under the standard deduction, it said it would ask me more about them later which it never did, nor did it ever explain that I didn't need to provide that info. It also never gave me an opportunity to enter my contributions to my Roth IRA for the Retirement Savings Credit. Of course, they make you pay before you review your final documents and by then you cannot clear and start over.

After spending 4 hours trying to fix these problems by clicking on every single option that came up, I went to bed for 5 hours before waking up at 7 a.m. so I could talk to a human w/o being on hold forever. She was able to view my screen and put her mouse where she wanted me to click, but she had no clue what to do either. In fact, she knew less than me because I had 4 hours experience on her! She just kept going over and over the same items trying to do the same thing I had already done.

After an hour of this, and repeated requests to connect me with a higher-up person (who of course never got back to us) I had to hang up while she kept begging me to try the same things over and over. I could not file because I could not click yes on the statement that everything in my return was true. So, I'm out $165. There is no screen that pops up or any email that asks for your feedback. And no address to send a complaint or request a refund. So, I guess filling out these reviews online is the only way to let them know. The good news is I went on FreeTaxUSA and did the whole thing easy peasy: free for Federal, $15 for State, free for Property Tax Refund (completes but does not file) and even a $7 dollar Deluxe add-on that provides in person support and Audit support if needed.

Intuit - TurboTax Company Information