Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.77/5
Based on 2,028 ratings submitted in the last year

TurboTax is a user-friendly tax preparation software program. TurboTax walks you through your state and federal taxes with clear prompts, letting you pay, file and receive returns immediately. TurboTax subtracts its fees from your federal refund with your permission. TurboTax also guarantees to cover any IRS or state debt resulting from a calculation error.

BOTTOM LINE

TurboTax is an online tax prep and filing software with plans for every tax bracket. It has a 100% accuracy guarantee and promises to help you get the fastest refund possible.

PROS
  • Does all the math for you
  • Spanish-speaking services available
  • Tax services for every situation
CONS
  • Misuse may create incorrect returns

Top Intuit - TurboTax Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - TurboTax?

Been using TurboTax for many years and love it. It is exceptionally thorough and that is GOOD. Never ever had an issue from IRS on my returns. It has so many wonderful features that help ensure you don't miss anything.

Well developed software app by reputable Quicken leads me to trust the tax legality & app reliability. ... I was able to file with confidence that my return was correct. Price is very reasonable compared to hiring a tax firm.

How does TurboTax work?

TurboTax coaches you through filing taxes step by step and makes the process simple by centering the process on your lifestyle, not your taxes. Instead of asking about your tax bracket, TurboTax asks about your:

• Job(s)
  • Income
  • Homeowner status
  • Children and dependents
  • Charitable donations

From this information, TurboTax determines what tax bracket you fall in and what forms you need to complete. By filing your returns electronically, TurboTax gets you the fastest refund possible.

TurboTax does all of the math required for your tax forms and guarantees 100% accuracy. Before transmitting your returns, the company uses its CompleteCheck software to run a comprehensive review so nothing gets missed. Once you submit your taxes, TurboTax sends an email confirmation, and you can keep up with filing and tax return progress on the TurboTax app.

TurboTax resources

TurboTax gives taxpayers access to plenty of tax tools and resources on its website, including:

• Self-employed expense estimators
  • Quizzes to help you find out what tax bracket you’re in
  • W-4 withholding calculator
  • ItsDeductible donation tracker

TurboTax offers services in English and Spanish.

How much does TurboTax cost?

TurboTax has four plans with different benefits and services:

• Free plan: If you have a simple tax return, TurboTax doesn't charge you anything to use its services. This plan covers W-2 income, earned income tax credit and child tax credit.
  • Deluxe plan ($60): If you opt for the Deluxe plan, TurboTax searches for more than 350 possible tax deductions and credits. This helps you maximize deductions on your mortgage or property taxes.
  • Premier plan ($90): With the Premium plan, TurboTax adds investment income reporting services for taxpayers with stocks, bonds, employee stock purchase plans or other investments. This plan also gives customers one-on-one time with a TurboTax specialist.
  • Self-Employed plan ($120): TurboTax designed the Self-Employed plan for personal and business income and expenses. You get access to a TurboTax specialist who searches for available industry-specific deductions.

TurboTax FAQ

Is TurboTax Online free?
TurboTax Online is free for simple tax returns like W-2 income, earned income tax credit and child tax credit. If your taxes are more complicated, you need to purchase one of TurboTax's other plans.
Does TurboTax get you the best refund?
TurboTax promises to get customers the best refund possible in the shortest amount of time. The software itself isn’t necessary to get the best refunds possible on your tax returns, as taxpayers are entitled to their refund amounts, but the company's software helps ensure you don't miss potential deductions.
Is it worth it to use TurboTax?
TurboTax's services are worth considering if you're a small business owner or a contract worker, as they tend to have the most complex type of taxes. The software is also helpful for people who don't want to file their own taxes but would prefer a cheaper option than hiring a certified public accountant.
Is it safe to use TurboTax Online?
Yes, TurboTax uses fraud prevention and other security measures to keep your personal information safe.

Is TurboTax good?

TurboTax offers multiple levels of tax services, including a free plan for basic tax returns. Its specialized service is an excellent option for small business owners and contract workers. If you're searching for a tax specialist that operates online only, TurboTax's services might be right for you.

Intuit - TurboTax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - TurboTax?

Original review: March 6, 2021

I have been a Turbo Tax online user since 1998. It's a big plus to me to have the ability to import prior year's data and personal info, and to know the software is always up to date. There is a lot of help available for those special occasions, and pop-up help is always there to explain terms/definitions. If unsure about something, you can let it walk you through step by step, or you can input directly. Importing from financial institutions helps to prevent errors, too. Only negative is it can get a little pricey, particularly with state returns.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

I have been using Turbo Tax and its predecessors Cantax and Taxwis (Turbo Tax bought them both) since 1998. Trying to figure the various sections of the Tax Code in preparing the annual Federal/Provincial income tax is numbing as there are changes every single year. As it stands If I complete the forms manually, any mistake I make which would have given me a deduction, Canada Revenue will not correct it, however any mistake that cost CRA money will be corrected by CRA. Turbo tax has the tax code, form, explanations and suggestions to assist me in the preparation of my annual tax. It has found me $$ on many an occasion.

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

Intuit TurboTax is great, it's very easy to use and it asks simple understandable questions to fill out your taxes. It makes taxes more understandable for someone that doesn't know how to do the taxes by long way or doing all the math. If you can't afford or just want to save as much money as possible Intuit TurboTax is the way to go. I've used this to do my taxes for the last 5 years and it has made it easy and you can get help if you spend a few bucks and they guarantee your taxes when you use the paid version. If you have simple taxes or know what you're doing then the free version will save you some money. This is a great tax software for everyone.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

I've used Turbo Tax for a number of years. I've never had a problem with the software or the IRS. Questions to Turbo Tax are answered promptly. They have several products, I use the "Deluxe" edition as it suits my needs. I can enter possible deductions and determine if it's worthwhile or take the standard deduction. The software leads you through various deductions. Also, it's easy to simply transfer data from institutions and from last years Turbotax software, if used. By comparison, I used H&R Block software one time and did not find it as easy to navigate.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2021

After not finding my Intuit Turbo card from filing my taxes this year I was trying to find a way to get a new one of course because of Covid-19. And the delays of our state it puts a delay on everything that we do in our daily life and confuses us at times because I got confused and I was getting ready to give up. What I did was I had moved from a location that I did my taxes where they have on file. So I was putting my new address in and it kept booting me out because it was not the address they have on file.

What I can tell you is if everything is correct when you put it in you can disable your card, get a new one sent out, stop everything with your last account in case you did lose or misplace your card. I learnt today old 103 2021 that's when I put in my old address that I did my taxes on. It automatically went through. It went on and Captain my old card and I have a new one getting sent out. Patience is a virtue. Hopefully this will help some people or a lot of people. I'm in Maryland and thanks.

Original review: April 28, 2021

STAY AWAY FROM THIS PRODUCT! I paid for my 2020 taxes, but when I went to file a few days later, they had no history of my account. Not only this, they had no history of me paying for my 2020 taxes and NO HISTORY FOR MY PRIOR TAX RETURNS THAT I FILED WITH THEM SINCE 2017. It's as if I never existed in their system. I now have to start from scratch with my taxes. I've spoken with Customer Service several times, and I've emailed, and all to no avail. They even denied my request for a refund for a service that they never offered! Buyer Beware with TurboTax!

Original review: April 25, 2021

I've been using TT because of its high UX and the fact that I can upload tax docs into it, etc. This year it was a ghastly experience, with a lot of hang ups where I had to keep asking my financial advisor what the heck TT was looking for. Interestingly, she uses it as well and had the same feedback. I wonder if their free version is cannibalizing their premium one so they have deliberately introduced UX stutters to panic people and make them buy the costlier version. I am considering switching to another software like HR Block next year, because I dislike feeling manipulated and I've used HRB before and it was reasonably easy. What made TT so appealing did not apply this year.

Original review: April 21, 2021

Rude, lying customer service. Told me I couldn't get pw recovery emails. I had one previously. I sent my ID, what else do they need? All I did was lose my old phone. It had my passwords saved and 2 factor Auth. So they A. Won't allow me to change my phone number. B. Told me to make a new account. How is there absolutely no way to recover an account? I can't be the first human to lose a phone? Wtf.

Original review: April 21, 2021

I figured it would be pretty easy for TurboTax to resolve my issue. I'd used them for the last 10 or so years without issue. This year they charged my account twice but refused to refund the second charge because the "Satisfaction Guarantee" only covers those who don't use the online version. Buyer beware, they can charge you multiple times for the same product/service and refuse to refund you, in effect stealing your money.

Original review: April 19, 2021

I was incorrectly charged $290 dollars on my account. Before I hit the submit button I called TurboTax customer support and they told me to not worry and that I would receive my $290 dollars eventually and that it was just a mistake in the system. I went forward and paid the $290 only to be spending the next 2 months talking to customer service constantly being told the same thing and filing claims on their website until today I was finally told that I would not be getting my money back after I was transferred to a different department and spending hours on the phone every other week. Extremely disappointed and frustrated with my experience.

Intuit - TurboTax Company Information