Owe the IRS $10k+ in Tax Debt?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Intuit - TurboTax
3.43/5
Based on 1,881 ratings submitted in the last year

Intuit - TurboTax

2877 Intuit - TurboTax Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

As a 24 year old, I've never filed outside of TurboTax, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing (upfront disclaimer). But I've been using TT for about 5 years now and I've never had an issue - you get what you pay for IMO. It's easy, I can sip a glass of wine, punch in a few numbers, click, click and I'm done. My refunds are always pretty legit and I opt for the premium package that comes with an audit representative so if ** goes down months from now I know an actual non-bot human being has me covered. A lot of people complain about the service, but I think if you only have a few means of income, full time worker, standard 401k and health insurance, TT is best. Once your taxes start getting complicated, ie investments, Medicare, pensions, retirement -- I'd say go to H&R Block. But for the Young Professional, you can't beat it. BTW, this is for the online portal, not the software download (because WHY).

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I wanted to share my experience with TurboTax Self Employed. I had a terrible experience with HR Block, so I wanted to do my own tax this year and understand it better. I opted to get Self Employed TurboTax to get help from tax expert (since this is the first year I am using it). It's cheaper than HR Block, tax consultant is friendlier and way more knowledgeable! Plus everything went fast, I have a better understanding of my taxes now, compared to HR Block consultant who doesn't seem to like answering my questions. If you're like me married filing jointly, with full-time W4 income + part time Independent Contractor best way is to understand your tax more get TurboTax. Next year I will definitely use them again, did our taxes Feb 5, received our refund Feb 14! Way faster, didn't have a problem.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Most of the issues I have read is simply a matter of reading what is purchased. The FREE version states specifically for simple returns, ie; W-2 1040! As far as downloads go, if you have issues they say to call, which I have, I cleared cookies from my browser and perfect! If you don't have access to last year's returns you have used the FREE Version which does not include access to prior years. And TurboTax doesn't add numbers in categories that are not based on the users entries. Just click review and look at your return. It is the responsibility of the user to check your return.

If you need help you can purchase, at a very reasonable price I might add, the Tax Expert preparation and review feature which comes with a guarantee. The purchase price of the use of the software is a product, not a privilege, you pay for their systems to intuitively help you file your taxes. The filing fee is expected because it's a Service offered. And finally, if you need help with outside the box issues live support is a phone call away. All comes with TurboTax money back guarantee. So if you don't want to pay filing fees print and mail, don't cost a dime. Efile is faster and is why you purchase. Maybe read first what you purchase and don't assume!!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I have used the online Deluxe version of TurboTax to file my state and federal returns for the past three years. I plan to use them again this year. My concern is that for a short form I think it should be simpler or the company should give better support without charging much more. My fee is around eighty dollars. The next service is full support with a live agent. I should not have to worry about looking up publications etc. when paying this much for the short form filing. Other than that I would recommend them. You get to keep your privacy and they say they check it over before it is sent. I can say this, though. If they raise the price much more I will have to look elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

CALL THEM +1-833-272_O777. I received a notice of audit from MA Dept of Revenue because of a computer malfunction. All of the inputs were correct as can be verified with my federal taxes and W-2s, the transfer was incorrect and can be proven. The response I received from the 1st representative was that I was not listening to her explain to me that the letter was probably due to an incorrect report of taxes. I stated that on the phone call and had to explain multiple times what was happening and that the state was right. I had to dig through the 2015 tax return to find what had happened to begin with. The 2nd person I had to explain the 2nd time, but she listened to what I was saying and got me to someone to help. The 3rd person, Kim **, asked me how I didn’t notice the mistake in the taxes that is a clear computer glitch; to which I informed her that this was my 1st year filing taxes solely for MA as I had a 2 state tax return the year before.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

Original review: July 5, 2019

2015 and 16 audited by IRS and cost me $103,000. 2017 and 18 audited by IRS and will probably cost me another $100,000. The problem I have with TurboTax is their software. How they are able to qualify my business as a ongoing concern when the IRS feels different and the Audit Defense I bought for 2017 and 18 is worthless. The IRS is in charge and if you fight then it only invites more trouble. Better off to have taxes done by a professional who will not only see that it’s done right but also represent you properly if you’re audited.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I did my 2015 and 2016 returns with TurboTax and are now facing 25K in penalties, and interest from the IRS and my State revenue tax dept. I just getting the letters now from both state and federal authorities. Bottom line this is the absolute worst tax filing product on the market. I have talked to several colleagues and they have had the same type of issues.

Original review: June 27, 2019

I filed my 2018 1040 taxes and owed a lot of money and needed to do a installment plan. when I downloaded vouchers for the year 2018, I got one voucher for the full amount, the other vouchers were for the ESTIMATED YEAR 2020. Without knowing what the hell 1040es means I mailed the voucher off and it was applied to the 2020. Now I'm totally screwed because I've paid for a year in advance and still have to pay for 2018 IN FULL. TURBOTAX really screwed me up. I'll NEVER USE THIS AGAIN IN LIFE, and of course no one can help apply those payments to the year 2018. THANKS AGAIN TURBOTAX.

Original review: June 27, 2019

I have used TurboTax for years but until this year never needed help. When I called for ADVICE on how to deal with a 5 month delay on my refund I was, 1. Told I would be transferred to someone who could help but disconnected after an automated system requested an additional $90 that I refused to pay (this happened twice and I finally made the rep stay on the line with me until I was on the phone with another person). 2. Once I finally was connected to a "supervisor" he explained to me that I paid for turbo tax to prepare my taxes.

I explained to him that I input all my information and I submit it not them and had I walked into a tax service a live human being would have done this for me. So no they had not in fact prepared my taxes. The ** on the other side of the phone (and he was an ** no personality, rude, did not want to be bothered) switched gears and said, "well ma'am you're paying for tax preparation software NOT customer service", even though I had purchased the "deluxe" which promises to help should you get into a situation with your taxes. I will admit I was frustrated so I asked to speak to someone else, anyone else who could help me find a next step in getting my return. The ** said there was no one else.

I said this is a huge company with a ton of employees, "let me speak to someone who is not you!" He hung up on me. Now I don't want to get into all of my personal information but all I was looking for was some clarification on who to call and how to handle my bosses payroll company submitting inaccurate information for my last year's earnings because I had the correct information. All I needed was a phone number and even though I paid TurboTax they could not be bothered. Now this one ** doesn't represent the company. I did speak to three nice people who wanted to help before him. They just lacked the experience to do so. Next year TurboTax will lose me and the family members I referred to them as customers because we will all be using a service where we can walk in and talk to someone who cares face to face. After all when you pay for a service you expect to receive that service.

Original review: June 20, 2019

I filed 2018 tax with Turbotax. I entered my W2 but later after filing I found out they haven't my foreign earned income tax exclusion. Other than deducting, it has added it and it showed double of my income which ended up paying registered postage and international phone bills for more than 38 dollars back and forth to resolve the issues with IRS. Be careful with turbotax. Still not done with IRS. Will never file my taxes with this company. You will know after you pay only that's something has gone wrong.

Original review: June 20, 2019

Personal Phone No box in TurboTax is much too small for people living outside the U.S. No way to speak with a live person to correct the problem, as it appears their 800 number gives you a robot that can only handle other problems. My Alabama tax return, which TurboTax submitted, was rejected. TurboTax instructed me to enter my account and I would be instructed each step of the way, but that is not true. Their options available would not give me their original submission so I could go in and try to resolve the problem. People wanting to use TurboTax living outside the U.S. are in a dilemma if they have problems with Federal or State Income Tax returns submitted by them. You pay to receive expert advice; however, you cannot receive that expert advice if you cannot provide TurboTax your correct phone number. Ralph

Original review: June 20, 2019

Seriously, six months after filing tax, everything I load this crap software, we need to upload updates, no!!!! I’m not waiting ten minutes for updates I have no use for, no!!! No!!!! And no again! Horrible and slow!

Original review: June 18, 2019

Keep getting error F1040-266-01 when filing online... Problem is with TurboTax online software as online filing is not recognizing form F2555. TurboTax wants you to upgrade in order to contact help. Just terrible!!! And no refunds could do return myself but wanted to file online.... No refunds... Just horrible experience.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I was charged in June for a service I do not choose when I did my taxes in April. Almost $200 for something I choose not to pay for 3 months ago. I haven't talked with any representatives yet but according to these reviews, that probably won't be much help. ????‍♀️

Original review: June 7, 2019

Overall my experience has been terrible, and stressful. I've tried to file multiple times and have been rejected every time. After paying a 100 dollars, Intuit has informed me that I should just file by paper. The reason I am rejected is due to having a wrong 2017 AGI, also provided by Intuit. However, I still have the 2017 AGI (printed out and provided by Intuit), and am using that number. In order to access the PDF provided on the web-app to double check for errors, I need to pay 50 additional dollars.

If I want help from a human I need to pay 50 additional dollars. I've tried all available channels via their free support, but Intuit is content with letting a robot handle your issue with no nuance. Upfront, it said the software was free, but I ended up having to pay a 100 dollars to file. And they want another 100 just to make the software work as intended. And I've lost money for filing late. This is simply a company whose only purpose is to wring you out in the name of "convenience". Just go see someone in person to do your taxes and pay the 100 dollars. It'll get done right.

Original review: June 3, 2019

My SSA not filed in my 2017 IRS Tax? More importantly why did TurboTax approve the filing on final checkout? IRS has penalized ME for not including SSA income when it clearly did NOT fit with prior years! Good reason to NOT use TurboTax.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I bought some shoes from Foot Locker with my TurboTax card. A couple days later I returned them cause I found cheaper shoes so the store gave me a 570 dollar refund and I never received it on my card so I called Foot Locker's corporate line like I didn’t receive my refund. They showed me that they refunded the 570 back on to my card and gave me a reference number to tell me that my card took it out their account but my card is stating that they don’t receive refunds over 100 dollars and isn’t trynna give me my money and won’t let me talk to the supervisor. I think this is a scam. Can someone help me.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I filed my taxes thru TurboTax in February of 2019. In have waited 4 months without a federal refund. The customer service is the worst customer service I have ever received. They hung up on me when I called with my frustration. I paid them for highest service of preparation and have got zero help and they just repeated everything I already knew with no help whatsoever. Issues still not resolved and they hung up on me when I called. Worst company ever. Get them done locally by a professional!

Original review: May 28, 2019

In 2019 I had a problem with my 2015 tax return which I did through TurboTax. I purchased federal and 3 state returns, filled out everything online and e-filed through them as well. Yet there was a small mistake on one of my state returns, which could have been easily caught by TurboTax (it wasn't some obscure rule or circumstance it was the calculation of OSC, which is always done when filing in multiple states). The mistake was caught by the Commonwealth of Virginia and I had to pay owed tax plus interest. I submitted a claim through Intuit's 100% accuracy guarantee and they basically told me that the software performed as designed. They just did not design it to check for the types of mistakes that was made on my return. Their claim leads you to believe that your return's accuracy is guaranteed, while in reality they only guarantee that the software will work the way they designed it, which could be a very very bad (or even wrong) design...

Original review: May 24, 2019

I have attempted to contact Intuit to report an incorrect calculation in their online tax software. If you report income from a 1099-R form with a number in Box 5 (Recovered this year) the software incorrectly deducts this amount from Box 2a (Taxable Amount). This causes your taxable income to be underreported. I now need to hand complete a 1040X to correct the error in their software.

Original review: May 19, 2019

I had been using TurboTax for 4 years. The last 2 years have been nothing short of frustrating when it came time for my refund. For 1.5 months, I have been attempting to get my return. There is no one to contact at Intuit, just a "community board" to get answers to your questions. Links sent to me to contact a specialist or a tax expert (which I paid extra for) have lead to nowhere. My return went to a routing number and account that is not mine. This number was printed on my final return which I did not have the opportunity to view before finalizing.

The routing number is linked to a JP Morgan Chase number. I called Chase corporate number and visited Chase bank. The routing number is their number but the account does not exist. The IRS website states that the return was deposited on 4/10/19. Also, my state tax return was deposited to this fake account on 5/8/19. Additionally, taxes due to my previous state were to be paid from my credit card but they were not which caused me to have to pay late fees. To date this is still not resolved.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I have been a regular user of TT Deluxe for many years. The cost has always been $79.95 for the Deluxe version. When I did my taxes for 2018, I was shocked to find out that I was charged $190 for what used to cost 79.95. Outrageous that they deceptively jacked up the price by forcing me to upgrade for the same return that I always did in years past. I will NEVER use an Intuit product again. Buyer beware.

Original review: May 18, 2019

This business has to be the largest bully of corporate America. I used to use TurboTax and every year I used them I paid them. This year I am not going to use them but they are holding my previous year tax return ransom. What's worse is I can't just pay them 20$ for the return. They have made it so I have to go through the entire current year tax return and pay for to gain access to the old tax return. I have QBO as well all of their products take extreme advantage of the little guys. Horrible customer service and no oversight for the government.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Advertised as free, and NOT free at all. They are a large corporation with a huge team of lawyers, so naturally they can operate in any way they choose, lying, cheating, falsely representing their products, etc. with no accountability whatsoever. Of course they aren't accredited by the BBB - their entire business is based on a fraudulent misrepresentation of their product. America being a Corporatocracy is ruled by the corporations - we have no leaders only sellouts who belong to corporate lobbies.

The best part is that the federal government gave TurboTax money (a grant) to provide a free tax service to people! So Turbotax collected money from the gov to provide a free service, and then they didn't provide the service they were paid to provide, and then they get to collect money from the people they screwed over by leading them to believe the service is free.

Original review: May 15, 2019

When I want to file my state taxes 3 months after completing them; I don't need an update. When I want a PDF of taxes, don't force me to search for the method. After all this BS with this company, why should I continue to use (or heartily recommend) this product? I won't. Y'all write code for profit, so these are not mistakes. it's deliberate. A DECADE WITH YOUR PRODUCT. Bye Felicia.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I used Turbo Tax on the internet for the first time because the advertising said "free" and "guarantee quick refund". Actually, I try to use e-file but some complicated to use or find it on turbo tax web. I also have to pay no matter tax report doing well or not and decreasing the refund amount, which means to lose money. I have a simple tax return and charged in name of complicated processing from Intuit. I found tax return $ 1432.00 but get back $132.00 only and have to pay $ 144.97 by force to Intuit. They take money from my account directly even if not receive the refund from IRS yet. Be careful this is one-way program and find charged fee at the end after processing by yourself. You don't recognize non-free notice until finishing. I advise doing via CPA or other tax services than any web service. Simple and ugly service but charge more than CPA or other tax services.

Original review: May 13, 2019

We needed a copy of our 2018 1040 as prepared by me using TT for a mortgage application. Imagine my surprise when TT would not open on my computer, the same one used in March to prepare my 1040. Imagine my further surprise when the saved tax document would not open due to a corrupted file. Then, I tried to open other TT saved tax documents, got the same message. I will NEVER use TT again, and will warn my friends.

Original review: May 7, 2019

TurboTax is a RIPOFF. If you have filed using TurboTax and have been ripped off by having to pay fees you never had to pay before for just filing, you are not alone. There is a HUGE lawsuit going on with several companies for REMOVING the free service to then force customers to pay for their service. Like others, I contacted TurboTax's customer service where I was told repeatedly they do not issue refunds. If you find yourself in this situation, do not give up. I sent a letter to corporate and the senators involved in the lawsuit to tell them my story, just like you should. I also sent an email to the president of TurboTax. The more people who do this, the more likely it is something will ACTUALLY get done about this.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I am retired and filed a simple return. I put all my information in correctly and the IRS received it. I filed on Feb. 08 and it has been 3 months and I have not received my refund. I contacted THE Taxpayer Advocate service and found out my return was in the Error Resolution office but they didn't know why and they told me I could not find out why until 60 days after March 01. May 01 I called the advocate and she filed a case to give to the IRS But I had to fax her a copy of my W2 and all the tax statements I had. I filed taxes on my own for many years and never had a problem. The advocate said if it was my error I would have received a letter by now so it looks like TurboTax made an error in filing. I will never use TurboTax again and I would advise everyone not to.

Original review: May 3, 2019

My overall tax refund was $242. TurboTax deducted $152 and refunded approximately $90. How is the federal government protecting citizens from such ripoff firms? Strange times for all of us. This is what needs to be done: The federal government should sue TurboTax on helpless citizens' behalfs and induce the firm to refund all monies stolen from tax filers.

Intuit expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

TurboTax is one of Intuit's many financial services products. Intuit, which was founded in 1983, has kept TurboTax at the top of the tax software industry. In 2013, more than 26 million taxpayers across the nation used a TurboTax service.

• Portability: Intuit’s TurboTax software is available on a variety of platforms including web-based, local software installations and even a dedicated iPad app.

• Expert advice: TurboTax customers can chat live with a tax expert at no extra charge.

• Business support: A Business version is available for use by multi-member LLCs, partnerships, S corporations, C corporations, and estates and trusts.

• Review: Intuit removed the option to have a return reviewed by a Certified Public Accountant, a benefit that set it apart from competitors.

• Customer service: Contacting customer service by phone is challenging; the TurboTax website requires customers to use a web form to provide contact information and view online help before releasing a phone number.

• Best for: Sole Proprietors, Small Business Owners, Taxpayers with Special Situations

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

Intuit - TurboTax Company Information