3.15/5
Based on 1,306 ratings submitted in the last year

2860 Intuit - TurboTax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

As a 24 year old, I've never filed outside of TurboTax, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing (upfront disclaimer). But I've been using TT for about 5 years now and I've never had an issue - you get what you pay for IMO. It's easy, I can sip a glass of wine, punch in a few numbers, click, click and I'm done. My refunds are always pretty legit and I opt for the premium package that comes with an audit representative so if ** goes down months from now I know an actual non-bot human being has me covered. A lot of people complain about the service, but I think if you only have a few means of income, full time worker, standard 401k and health insurance, TT is best. Once your taxes start getting complicated, ie investments, Medicare, pensions, retirement -- I'd say go to H&R Block. But for the Young Professional, you can't beat it. BTW, this is for the online portal, not the software download (because WHY).

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I wanted to share my experience with TurboTax Self Employed. I had a terrible experience with HR Block, so I wanted to do my own tax this year and understand it better. I opted to get Self Employed TurboTax to get help from tax expert (since this is the first year I am using it). It's cheaper than HR Block, tax consultant is friendlier and way more knowledgeable! Plus everything went fast, I have a better understanding of my taxes now, compared to HR Block consultant who doesn't seem to like answering my questions. If you're like me married filing jointly, with full-time W4 income + part time Independent Contractor best way is to understand your tax more get TurboTax. Next year I will definitely use them again, did our taxes Feb 5, received our refund Feb 14! Way faster, didn't have a problem.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Most of the issues I have read is simply a matter of reading what is purchased. The FREE version states specifically for simple returns, ie; W-2 1040! As far as downloads go, if you have issues they say to call, which I have, I cleared cookies from my browser and perfect! If you don't have access to last year's returns you have used the FREE Version which does not include access to prior years. And TurboTax doesn't add numbers in categories that are not based on the users entries. Just click review and look at your return. It is the responsibility of the user to check your return.

If you need help you can purchase, at a very reasonable price I might add, the Tax Expert preparation and review feature which comes with a guarantee. The purchase price of the use of the software is a product, not a privilege, you pay for their systems to intuitively help you file your taxes. The filing fee is expected because it's a Service offered. And finally, if you need help with outside the box issues live support is a phone call away. All comes with TurboTax money back guarantee. So if you don't want to pay filing fees print and mail, don't cost a dime. Efile is faster and is why you purchase. Maybe read first what you purchase and don't assume!!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I have used the online Deluxe version of TurboTax to file my state and federal returns for the past three years. I plan to use them again this year. My concern is that for a short form I think it should be simpler or the company should give better support without charging much more. My fee is around eighty dollars. The next service is full support with a live agent. I should not have to worry about looking up publications etc. when paying this much for the short form filing. Other than that I would recommend them. You get to keep your privacy and they say they check it over before it is sent. I can say this, though. If they raise the price much more I will have to look elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

CALL THEM +1-833-272_O777. I received a notice of audit from MA Dept of Revenue because of a computer malfunction. All of the inputs were correct as can be verified with my federal taxes and W-2s, the transfer was incorrect and can be proven. The response I received from the 1st representative was that I was not listening to her explain to me that the letter was probably due to an incorrect report of taxes. I stated that on the phone call and had to explain multiple times what was happening and that the state was right. I had to dig through the 2015 tax return to find what had happened to begin with. The 2nd person I had to explain the 2nd time, but she listened to what I was saying and got me to someone to help. The 3rd person, Kim **, asked me how I didn’t notice the mistake in the taxes that is a clear computer glitch; to which I informed her that this was my 1st year filing taxes solely for MA as I had a 2 state tax return the year before.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

Original review: May 18, 2019

This business has to be the largest bully of corporate America. I used to use TurboTax and every year I used them I paid them. This year I am not going to use them but they are holding my previous year tax return ransom. What's worse is I can't just pay them 20$ for the return. They have made it so I have to go through the entire current year tax return and pay for to gain access to the old tax return. I have QBO as well all of their products take extreme advantage of the little guys. Horrible customer service and no oversight for the government.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Advertised as free, and NOT free at all. They are a large corporation with a huge team of lawyers, so naturally they can operate in any way they choose, lying, cheating, falsely representing their products, etc. with no accountability whatsoever. Of course they aren't accredited by the BBB - their entire business is based on a fraudulent misrepresentation of their product. America being a Corporatocracy is ruled by the corporations - we have no leaders only sellouts who belong to corporate lobbies.

The best part is that the federal government gave TurboTax money (a grant) to provide a free tax service to people! So Turbotax collected money from the gov to provide a free service, and then they didn't provide the service they were paid to provide, and then they get to collect money from the people they screwed over by leading them to believe the service is free.

Original review: May 15, 2019

When I want to file my state taxes 3 months after completing them; I don't need an update. When I want a PDF of taxes, don't force me to search for the method. After all this BS with this company, why should I continue to use (or heartily recommend) this product? I won't. Y'all write code for profit, so these are not mistakes. it's deliberate. A DECADE WITH YOUR PRODUCT. Bye Felicia.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I used Turbo Tax on the internet for the first time because the advertising said "free" and "guarantee quick refund". Actually, I try to use e-file but some complicated to use or find it on turbo tax web. I also have to pay no matter tax report doing well or not and decreasing the refund amount, which means to lose money. I have a simple tax return and charged in name of complicated processing from Intuit. I found tax return $ 1432.00 but get back $132.00 only and have to pay $ 144.97 by force to Intuit. They take money from my account directly even if not receive the refund from IRS yet. Be careful this is one-way program and find charged fee at the end after processing by yourself. You don't recognize non-free notice until finishing. I advise doing via CPA or other tax services than any web service. Simple and ugly service but charge more than CPA or other tax services.

Original review: May 13, 2019

We needed a copy of our 2018 1040 as prepared by me using TT for a mortgage application. Imagine my surprise when TT would not open on my computer, the same one used in March to prepare my 1040. Imagine my further surprise when the saved tax document would not open due to a corrupted file. Then, I tried to open other TT saved tax documents, got the same message. I will NEVER use TT again, and will warn my friends.

Original review: May 7, 2019

TurboTax is a RIPOFF. If you have filed using TurboTax and have been ripped off by having to pay fees you never had to pay before for just filing, you are not alone. There is a HUGE lawsuit going on with several companies for REMOVING the free service to then force customers to pay for their service. Like others, I contacted TurboTax's customer service where I was told repeatedly they do not issue refunds. If you find yourself in this situation, do not give up. I sent a letter to corporate and the senators involved in the lawsuit to tell them my story, just like you should. I also sent an email to the president of TurboTax. The more people who do this, the more likely it is something will ACTUALLY get done about this.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I am retired and filed a simple return. I put all my information in correctly and the IRS received it. I filed on Feb. 08 and it has been 3 months and I have not received my refund. I contacted THE Taxpayer Advocate service and found out my return was in the Error Resolution office but they didn't know why and they told me I could not find out why until 60 days after March 01. May 01 I called the advocate and she filed a case to give to the IRS But I had to fax her a copy of my W2 and all the tax statements I had. I filed taxes on my own for many years and never had a problem. The advocate said if it was my error I would have received a letter by now so it looks like TurboTax made an error in filing. I will never use TurboTax again and I would advise everyone not to.

Original review: May 3, 2019

My overall tax refund was $242. TurboTax deducted $152 and refunded approximately $90. How is the federal government protecting citizens from such ripoff firms? Strange times for all of us. This is what needs to be done: The federal government should sue TurboTax on helpless citizens' behalfs and induce the firm to refund all monies stolen from tax filers.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I found out after I filed my taxes this year and shelled out $80 to TurboTax that I was eligible for the IRS sponsored truly free to file service (thank you Free Press). I called customer service and requested a refund because I was furious that TurboTax had never once notified me that they offer this service or that I was eligible to free file. When I called customer service, the representative I spoke to flat out lied and said that TurboTax doesn't advertise this program on their website because it isn't an Intuit product (it is), and that I wasn't eligible for it anyway (I am).

She was extremely rude to me and basically told me that I was just out of luck and no way will TurboTax refund my money. This is the last year I will be using TurboTax or any Intuit products because of the way I have been treated. This isn't acceptable from a company handling my taxes and tons of my private information. If a customer isn't happy with your product or service, do the right thing, it's that simple.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I knew TurboTax was a bunch of thieves but in a last minute scramble I went down the rabbit hole. First, I was unable to remove the product so that I could file free federal. Then in order to process my student loan interest I was told I must upgrade in order for the TurboTax wizards to do more math. So now I'm looking at $60 instead of $40. After that I opted to pay TurboTax the $60 to process my return from my return. Apparently there is a fee of $40 that I either missed or just skipped... or it wasn't there. So my $264 return was no only $146. Great.

Out of curiosity I called and spoke with support and this is how it was explained. When you opt to pay TurboTax from your return, they consider that a "loan" since you do not have the amount upfront. So all in all I paid $40 for a $60 loan. I'm not a mathematician or a CPA but that seems a bit like highway robbery if you ask me. I will never use TurboTax or their "free" services again. I understand a company needs to pay the bills, but TurboTax is being added to the list of companies that will no longer take a single one of my pennies ever again! I hope they shut down and are forced to pay unemployment to all of their employees for the rest of their lives! >:(

Original review: May 1, 2019

It took me 3 hours to do my taxes. I bought a copy of Premier because I have renters and had many difficulties getting around to installing the program. I couldn't install Premier because the computer (my mother's) already had the standard version on it and it told me that the program was already on the computer (could not do it on my own because I own a Mac - which is an issue already as well). The Premier version had an installation key on it, so I figured I could use the online version on a Windows computer instead. I finished my taxes and it asked me for a prepaid or installation key and it would not work when entered it.

I contacted customer support and waited 45 minutes for them to tell me they could not help, refund, or give me a key to cover the 39.99 where I spent 69.99 for the hard copy of the disk. Asked to speak to a supervisor to help and they said they would call me back in 2-3 minutes waiting for "Madeeha". Waited half an hour and no one called or contacted me. Very disappointed in the service and program. 0/5 and would not recommend. Will be paying someone to do this for me next year.

Original review: April 29, 2019

SCAM FOR MANY NON-RESIDENTS!!! After doing my return with TurboTax this year and paying their fee, I learned if you are a non-resident of Canada and you do not have any income from Canada, then you do not need to file a tax return with CRA. TurboTax does not tell you this fact at the outset of their program (when you declare that you are a non-resident) and they are more than happy to take your money for using their program and have you print out your return and pay for postage for a tax return not even required by CRA. That is my biggest complaint. However, I also had problems with their program because of my foreign phone number and postal code (zip code).

Original review: April 26, 2019

I used TurboTax to file my taxes and chose the prepaid card option for my refund. I placed my order for the card, and 2 weeks later, I still hadn't received it. I called and canceled the card, had a new card mailed out, to never receive it either. I needed this money badly since my truck had just permanently broke down. Between my taxes and money I had saved, I could have afforded another vehicle. After spending most of my money over the next 4 weeks on Uber, I eventually lost my job because I couldn't keep up with the commute. I then had to move as I could not afford rent.

Now I have been trying to change my address so that I may still get my money, but corporate has closed my account, won't call me back, and when I call customer service they just won't help me. They keep telling me to send in documents that I have emailed to them 3 times now. 5 weeks later I still don't have my money or any solution. I lost my job, was homeless for 4 days with a dog, and still have no vehicle. TurboTax prepaid card has cost me everything!

Original review: April 26, 2019

I have used TurboTax since the mid 90’s when it was very new. My tax situation changed last year so I did not need or use the Premier version of the software anymore, but I received it anyway, and was charged. That was my problem for not managing the subscription and money now lost to Intuit. But when I tried to delete my credit card from the site, even after following the instructions Intuit sent in an email regarding deleting the credit card and even after following the instructions the support person Karen gave me on the phone, it became clear that there is no way a customer can delete a credit card. Karen did it for me after I complained about the process. Bottom line, DO NOT GIVE THESE PEOPLE YOUR CREDIT CARD INFO. The difficulty Intuit programs into their site with regard to deleting a credit card seems almost a scam. Do not give this company your CC info.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I have been using TurboTax to file my taxes since 2013. This year I submitted my return and later found out that my previous employer hadn't reported my income, so my return would be under review. I filed February 5 2019 and was informed of the problem on February 28 2019. My $167 package included audit protection, so I reached out to TurboTax and was told they didn't have any more information than I did and I'd have to wait until they were sent a letter. I called again in 2 weeks and again was told there wasn't any way they could help me. I reached out to the Tax Advocacy representative in my state and they started a case. Despite paying extra for audit protection, TurboTax still insisted they had no way of helping me.

In the beginning of April, I received an email from TurboTax stating it was time for them to withdraw the $167 fee from my checking account since I hadn't received a return for them to draw from as agreed. I called TurboTax and asked if I could break the payment up since I hadn't yet received my return. The woman informed me I would get another 2 emails and the last one would offer me the opportunity to make payment arrangements. I did receive 2 more emails but each was the same, so I called TurboTax after the 3rd email and was told it was too late, the debit was already pending in my account.

I have been working with the Tax Advocacy group (at no cost) and they have been very helpful in communicating the problem and asking for documents and are hopeful to have my situation resolved by the middle of May 2019. TurboTax continues to proudly display my return amount, filing date and expected return date of February 26 2019 when I log in, but have otherwise done nothing to help.

Original review: April 24, 2019

My girlfriend filed her taxes with TurboTax the last two years and both years the calculations were off and she ended up owing 2-300.00 to the IRS. Ok, so far this cost us the standard fees around 500.00. I filed my own taxes with them the previous 4 years. I attempted to login to their platform which I had PAID FOR EACH TIME and they told me to access my own data and export anything to PDF, I had to pay them again? What in the ACTUAL ** does that mean? I tell you what it means, that after nearly a grand in their Federal and State fees for their service, where they retain MY DATA - they want to charge me more money to get it back? HOW MUCH SENSE DOES THIS MAKE? I hope this company closes down and the developers who created and are making all the money off of it can not find a job and they literally have to go work at a garbage dump for the rest of their lives. They damn sure deserve less than that.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I have been a customer with TurboTax since 2013 and didn't start having problems until 2017 when I used them and ended up owing 1000 without a clear explanation as to why. This year both my federal and state taxes were rejected. I was forced to pay $49 to activate Deluxe to file deductions and an additional $49 dollars at the end for customer support. I had always filed these deductions for free and didn't pay additional fees until this year. After having both returns rejected, I went to the Federal government's website and found another tax preparation platform, filed, and ended up owing less in Federal Taxes. The whole thing was totally free. I called Turbotax (which has the company phone number buried on its website). I was shocked to find out that the online customer support that you pay for is access to the phone number and other customers complaining about Turbotax and giving each other bad advice.

So I get someone on the phone after holding for a few minutes and she tells me that TurboTax won't refund my money because I used their service to get rejected. I ask to speak to someone else and she tells me there is no one else because she is the supervisor. Immediately, I am reminded of the Dave Chappelle "PopCopy" sketch where a disgruntled customer asks for the manager and the training video instructs all employees to reply, "I am the manager." See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR7LOtMix9w. I ask her name title, department, and division. She says her name is Alyssa and that she is the supervisor for escalations. No last name and no division. I notice there are a lot of people on here from filing their 2018 taxes. I think we should flood their investor relations and social media pages with our complaints and repost the "PopCopy" sketch to their Twitter page.

Original review: April 22, 2019

First, I am a non-practicing CPA. So I file my returns on March 15th. On March 20th I receive a Corrected 1099-Div brokerage statement. The revised statement had very minor changes. The changes actually were a reduction in dividends to claim. So no rush to file an amended return. But oh well, so I file an amended return on April 22. Naturally, I run the updates program which I also did right before I filed in March. And BOOM, now I owe $2,300 to IRS. So TurboTax had their calcs wrong at March 15. I am done with TurboTax.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I have used TurboTax for several years with no issues. It was a pretty terrific, pain free way to file taxes. This year I paid $164.98 for some enhanced features which had to be put on a card before the return would be finalized. After I filed electronically I received an email advising that my fed and state returns were REJECTED. The reason? According to TurboTax, my 2017 Adjusted Gross Income reported didn't match the AGI on my '17 return. Well, I was literally holding a copy of my 2017 TurboTax return and the AGI was EXACTLY as reported.

To make a long story short, there was no one to ask about this. The rejection was not valid. The only option was to print out a copy of my 1040 and mail it in myself. I should note that the 1040 that I got to print out indicates that it was self prepared. I should also note that this was a very simple tax return. I get that errors can occur, however; in this case the amount reported was correct and there was no way I could speak with an actual person to discover what could possibly have gone wrong. I feel like I should be refunded the amount I paid but we all know they'd never do that. All I can say is NEVER AGAIN WILL I USE TURBOTAX!

Original review: April 21, 2019

Bait and Switch. I received an email reminding me to do my taxes with a link for state & federal free $0. I had to purchase Deluxe for HSA and was charged for state taxes. They got $109. I got $70 for a 1040EZ. Never using TurboTax again.

Original review: April 19, 2019

So I’ve used TurboTax for the last 4 years. It used to be great! So last year I had to file a self employment form which cost me an extra 100$ so I figure - that’s probably normal. Then at the end it charged me for federal - even though it claims it’s free. Well I end up being audited. They can’t tell me why? So that’s a fight and a half. 2018 taxes come around and I tell my husband we are absolutely not using TurboTax. That’s probably half the reason we got audited. Yep still no direct reason why! But I wasn’t home so he does anyways. No self employment this year but here I get my bill - cause who would have think it.

We still get 0 taxes back because we’re being audited – sooooo - 189$ for 39.99 for state, 59.99 for max benefit AND 89.99 self employment tax! So he calls and they say, “No we don’t understand why that’s on there BUT had we gotten taxes back and not paid attention you sure would have taken it!” Don’t fret though, they’ll remove it - but they didn’t - so it comes through again and he calls again. It says it’s been removed. Well 189.99 came out of my account today? So I mean. They do what they want. They’re absolute scam artists.

Original review: April 19, 2019

This is the last year my family and I will be using TurboTax. Used it for over 5 years without a problem 100% free. This year I was charged about $80, due to a form not available on free file. So, I was forced to upgrade. I'll just pay someone to file it for me. It'll save me the hassle of having to do it myself.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I called before I filed my taxes to confirm the price. Once they confirmed I spend about 5 hours and completed my return. They increased the price by 50%. When I called them, they said they don't have records of when they confirmed this over the phone. That's how they steal from you.

Original review: April 18, 2019

As a new Uber driver I had no idea I could file for free, but yet, it's my first year filing as self employed. When filing I was asked to pay 119.00 dollars which I found expensive since I was using their app with no help, I had filed with them previously for 2 years and it was free. The fee money was deducted from my return. When I received my return. I contacted them, number one because my direct deposit amount was not the total refund minus 119 for the fee. I was charged 158 something, I had called before I received my refund when I learned TurboTax is free for Uber drivers and was told to call back for a refund once I received my direct deposit from the I.R.S.

The first rep I spoke with, said that I would be refunded, for I had filed thru their app and not thru the Uber app. Number 2... I found weird I could not see the rep. The called dropped even though the weather was great and I had great reception. I never received a call from her. I called again and another woman once again asked me for all my information. The called dropped again, she did not call me back either, I guess her name was Marjorie. I called a 3rd time and spoke to Oscar, I requested to speak to a supervisor and he was inflexible as to not get me someone in charge if I did not provide all my information again. This is not only unethical, I felt I was talking to correctional officers, instead of customer service reps. They would all talk to me calling me, Sir, and not my name.

This business has enough complaints and they all have to do with not caring about their customers and charging them more than agreed. How can it possibly be that one rep told me to call back for a refund and even explained to me in details how it worked and the other one was making me feel guilty I did not file through the Uber app. Bottom line, it's been 3 hours and yet no one from TurboTax has contacted me, I emailed them yesterday and never got a reply. Reading all the lawsuits for I.D theft from this business makes me think that they are authorized to rip people off and do whatever they want including ID theft. Can anyone tell me how this being a scam is being allowed, when there are so many customers affected by these thieves?

Original review: April 18, 2019

This is the WORST thing you can do to file taxes. They advertised everywhere that it was free. I filled out all my information myself for me to find out until the very end that I needed to upgrade. Then a $49 fee was added at the end for basically copying & pasting everything from federal to state. At the very end, another $49 fee was added, which wasn’t very clear what it was for. It costed an additional $49 if I wanted to talk to someone for help. This is insane!! Just go to your local tax person! I’m more bad about the fact that I wasted time to fill out everything only to find out in the end it was going to cost me $200 to file when I have a simple W2 form!

Intuit expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

TurboTax is one of Intuit's many financial services products. Intuit, which was founded in 1983, has kept TurboTax at the top of the tax software industry. In 2013, more than 26 million taxpayers across the nation used a TurboTax service.

• Portability: Intuit’s TurboTax software is available on a variety of platforms including web-based, local software installations and even a dedicated iPad app.

• Expert advice: TurboTax customers can chat live with a tax expert at no extra charge.

• Business support: A Business version is available for use by multi-member LLCs, partnerships, S corporations, C corporations, and estates and trusts.

• Review: Intuit removed the option to have a return reviewed by a Certified Public Accountant, a benefit that set it apart from competitors.

• Customer service: Contacting customer service by phone is challenging; the TurboTax website requires customers to use a web form to provide contact information and view online help before releasing a phone number.

• Best for: Sole Proprietors, Small Business Owners, Taxpayers with Special Situations

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

Intuit - TurboTax Company Information