3.9/5 (763 ratings)

File your taxes for 35% off. Use code SLAYIT35

Get Started with TaxSlayer

Visit Site

About Intuit - TurboTax

TurboTax is a user-friendly tax preparation software program. TurboTax walks you through your state and federal taxes with clear prompts, letting you pay, file and receive returns immediately. TurboTax subtracts its fees from your federal refund with your permission. TurboTax also guarantees to cover any IRS or state debt resulting from a calculation error.

Pros

• Does all the math for you
  • Spanish-speaking services available
  • Tax services for every situation

Cons

• Misuse may create incorrect returns

Bottom Line

TurboTax is an online tax prep and filing software with plans for every tax bracket. It has a 100% accuracy guarantee and promises to help you get the fastest refund possible.

Top Intuit - TurboTax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - TurboTax?

Verified

Been using TurboTax for many years and love it. It is exceptionally thorough and that is GOOD. Never ever had an issue from IRS on my returns. It has so many wonderful features th...

Verified

Well developed software app by reputable Quicken leads me to trust the tax legality & app reliability. ... I was able to file with confidence that my return was correct. Price is ...

File your taxes for 35% off. Use code SLAYIT35

Get Started with TaxSlayer

Visit Site

How does TurboTax work?

TurboTax coaches you through filing taxes step by step and makes the process simple by centering the process on your lifestyle, not your taxes. Instead of asking about your tax bracket, TurboTax asks about your:

• Job(s)
  • Income
  • Homeowner status
  • Children and dependents
  • Charitable donations

From this information, TurboTax determines what tax bracket you fall in and what forms you need to complete. By filing your returns electronically, TurboTax gets you the fastest refund possible.

TurboTax does all of the math required for your tax forms and guarantees 100% accuracy. Before transmitting your returns, the company uses its CompleteCheck software to run a comprehensive review so nothing gets missed. Once you submit your taxes, TurboTax sends an email confirmation, and you can keep up with filing and tax return progress on the TurboTax app.

TurboTax resources

TurboTax gives taxpayers access to plenty of tax tools and resources on its website, including:

• Self-employed expense estimators
  • Quizzes to help you find out what tax bracket you’re in
  • W-4 withholding calculator
  • ItsDeductible donation tracker

TurboTax offers services in English and Spanish.

How much does TurboTax cost?

TurboTax has four plans with different benefits and services:

• Free plan: If you have a simple tax return, TurboTax doesn't charge you anything to use its services. This plan covers W-2 income, earned income tax credit and child tax credit.
  • Deluxe plan ($60): If you opt for the Deluxe plan, TurboTax searches for more than 350 possible tax deductions and credits. This helps you maximize deductions on your mortgage or property taxes.
  • Premier plan ($90): With the Premium plan, TurboTax adds investment income reporting services for taxpayers with stocks, bonds, employee stock purchase plans or other investments. This plan also gives customers one-on-one time with a TurboTax specialist.
  • Self-Employed plan ($120): TurboTax designed the Self-Employed plan for personal and business income and expenses. You get access to a TurboTax specialist who searches for available industry-specific deductions.

TurboTax FAQ

Is TurboTax Online free?
TurboTax Online is free for simple tax returns like W-2 income, earned income tax credit and child tax credit. If your taxes are more complicated, you need to purchase one of TurboTax's other plans.
Does TurboTax get you the best refund?
TurboTax promises to get customers the best refund possible in the shortest amount of time. The software itself isn’t necessary to get the best refunds possible on your tax returns, as taxpayers are entitled to their refund amounts, but the company's software helps ensure you don't miss potential deductions.
Is it worth it to use TurboTax?
TurboTax's services are worth considering if you're a small business owner or a contract worker, as they tend to have the most complex type of taxes. The software is also helpful for people who don't want to file their own taxes but would prefer a cheaper option than hiring a certified public accountant.
Is it safe to use TurboTax Online?
Yes, TurboTax uses fraud prevention and other security measures to keep your personal information safe.

Is TurboTax good?

TurboTax offers multiple levels of tax services, including a free plan for basic tax returns. Its specialized service is an excellent option for small business owners and contract workers. If you're searching for a tax specialist that operates online only, TurboTax's services might be right for you.

Intuit - TurboTax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - TurboTax?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2023

If I had gone with TurboTax even after their "expert" review it would have cost me almost $1,000. They did not consider all of the forms I uploaded. Luckily I caught it and will get my full refund. Customer support didn't have a clue. They tried to disconnect me when I took almost 60 seconds to reply but they left me on hold for over 5 minutes. Very incompetent and frustrating!!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

I bought Turbotax software for my taxes last year. It didn't work because I had Windows 7. The Turbotax container doesn't indicate Windows 7 will not work. Their customer service indicated they could resolve it. I tried working with them until the last filing day and was forced to buy their online package. I requested a credit or refund for the price I paid for their store package. They refused to give me a refund or credit for 2022. I've used Turbotax for 10 -15 years, but will never use them again.

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

I printed my tax return using TurboTax after they were suppose to E-file my return. After endless hours talking to Turbo tax who said if I did not "download" their software from my computer, they were not responsible and could not help me. I purchased a "disk" and downloaded from a disk. Problem: Two years later IRS said they did not receive my tax return nor the tax balance that I had provided Turbotax with my banking (routing and account) information. This is after I had copied my complete return when originally filing with Turbo tax. All the information on their completed form was correct and I thought nothing more about it. That is until I received a notice 2 years later from IRS saying they did not receive our tax return.

Speaking with IRS, who I might add were extremely kind and helpful once I was able to connect with someone, now with penalties, the only clear explaination as to WHY I have copies of the complete 2019 tax return and IRS never received it,...defective software. Now I am in the process of appealing penalties assessed because of the missing return.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2023

We used TurboTax for years then went to TaxSlayer to save money, but after TaxSlayer lost all our input data we went back to TurboTax. It costs a bit more, but at least TurboTax has never, ever lost our data. We had a question about our taxes at one point and the live Chat person on TurboTax was available almost immediately and was able to help with the issue quickly. We have never had any of the problems listed by other reviewers. Our experience with the software has been great. The live support we received was just the normal live chat that is available online - we did not pay extra for support. It is possible that closer to April 15 they are harder to reach, but most of the year they are there very quickly.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2022

I am about to leave TurboTax/Intuit after being a customer for more than two decades because they refuse to let me contact whoever denied my request for a refund related to the fact that they double-billed me for both the online and desktop versions of TurboTax for three years.

Original review: July 10, 2022

Turbotax wouldn't receive information from the CRA properly, would only copy a few bits of information at a time, and then enter the information some more than once. Received zero assistance. I can understand why Turbotax is not registered for google ratings.

Original review: July 9, 2022

The free Turbo Tax ad I received was not free and I was charged for my 2021 taxes. I messaged them with no reply. They then made a mistake on my state returns. I live in one state and work in another. They apparently according to my tax preparer, do not have a good record in filing state returns in that situation. So I had to have my previous tax preparer file a amendment with the state returns, both. I was supposed to get a much higher amount from my state. It takes a entire year and half to have someone check your amended return. So not only am I out the money I paid Turbo Tax but I had to pay my tax preparer, and I am not getting my refund anytime soon.

Original review: July 7, 2022

Filed my 2022 taxes. 1) They filed I didn't receive a stimulus which I did. 2) They said to take tax bill out of my tax return which they do not make clear that they will charge 40 dollars for. So my 63 plus 49 I ended up paying them over a 100 dollars and when you enter bank account information it's not for the IRS it's a 3rd party company that's now got your information. I would suggest using a tax person and pay a little more. At least your information is safe. Never again will I use Turbo. Crooks. No wonder they got sued!

Original review: June 3, 2022

I have been a satisfied Turbo Tax customer for years. However, my daughter recently filed her return with Turbotax online and was supposed to receive a refund from both federal and state. After 9 weeks and still no refund, and many attempts to contact Turbo Tax, I've decided to file a complaint at the Better Business Bureau and also a Consumer Complaint with USA gov't. There is no option available on the Turbo Tax website to write an email, the only option for Contact Us is an 800 number. After spending several minutes trying to get past their robotic voice assistant, it finally connects you to a number where you remain on hold until you can no longer put up with it, and hang up. I will no longer use this company, and highly recommend to other customers to follow suit.

Original review: May 19, 2022

Good morning. My name is Shearry **. The reason for this complaint is because for a couple of years I have used TurboTax for a couple of years and up to this point I had no problem with them until now. On April 9, 2022 I filed my taxes with Turbotax and I put the correct information on my taxes. Unfortunately, during this time, someone filed taxes under my name and social security number by putting false information i.e. I'm married with a child and that's not true. They took my money from my refund without my consent. At the same time, they didn't send my full refund. I'm very disappointed with Turbotax and this is why I'm filling this complaint. Is there anyway you can help with this situation? Thank you so much.

Intuit - TurboTax Company Information