1.21/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2581 Intuit - TurboTax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I have used TurboTax several times and this year, it was SO disappointing to see that there was some kind of scam going on. Stop using the word "FREE"!! By no means was anything about it free. You start off thinking you are filing the normal "simple" form and by the end, your taxes are held hostage for steep amounts of money. In the end, I wound up paying $80.00. Would have been an additional $44.00 if I needed my money immediately. Good program, why ruin it by being greedy!!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I always use TurboTax, until now. I was filing my taxes with them and paid the efile fee of 79.98. Yet it kept saying error, so after a lot of frustration I called and sat on the phone for 2.5 hours trying to troubleshoot why it wouldn't let me file. Long story short, no resolve, filed a claim thru my bank and still nothing. Another 45 min call to TurboTax to tell me the online isn't refundable. Seriously I just paid for a service I didn't receive.... So upsetting. Will never use them again. I got the same refund through H&R Block, and it was cheaper to file and I got my refund in a week. TurboTax you thief, stop stealing from people who trusted you! Ugh.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I have used the free edition TurboTax for the past 8 years. This year after nearly completing my return they gave me no option but to upgrade to deluxe for 39.99. The only difference in my taxes was that this year I had to provide outside insurance for my child because my employer no longer offered insurance for dependent children. When I viewed my receipt in my email I see TurboTax charged my card 79.98 instead of the 39.99 I thought I was being charged. It seems if you are required to upgrade to deluxe you must then pay an additional 39.99 for your state tax prep.

Thank goodness I was weary and decided not to opt to have the fee taken out of my refund because after reading other reviews I see TurboTax charges an additional 39.99 for that also! I didn't see that anywhere on the page that option was given. If it was there at all it must have been hidden well. I will definitely not be using TurboTax in the future and will recommend that no-one I know use it either. I am extremely dissatisfied!!!!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

As a 24 year old, I've never filed outside of TurboTax, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing (upfront disclaimer). But I've been using TT for about 5 years now and I've never had an issue - you get what you pay for IMO. It's easy, I can sip a glass of wine, punch in a few numbers, click, click and I'm done. My refunds are always pretty legit and I opt for the premium package that comes with an audit representative so if ** goes down months from now I know an actual non-bot human being has me covered. A lot of people complain about the service, but I think if you only have a few means of income, full time worker, standard 401k and health insurance, TT is best. Once your taxes start getting complicated, ie investments, Medicare, pensions, retirement -- I'd say go to H&R Block. But for the Young Professional, you can't beat it. BTW, this is for the online portal, not the software download (because WHY).

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I purchased TurboTax NJ business corp download 2 weeks ago. After "downloading" I couldn't see any forms. I called customer support and after an hour of troubleshooting, I was told the forms would not be available until Feb 15th. Come Feb 15th, I tried again, no luck. Called customer support and another 45 mins of troubleshooting, I was told to give it 24-48hours. Today is Feb 18 and still no luck, I called customer support and after over 1 hr of trial and error and guesswork with supervisor, I was told to give it till end of the week. I have never had this much run-around from any business. I have NO respect for this company and don't plan to use them again and I will make sure to warn anyone I know. No respect for your customers and such a time waster. I'm so disgusted by the level of unprofessionalism that exists in such a big, well-known company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Glitch in TurboTax software. When I filed my Federal taxes I made sure not to claim my child as a dependent because his mother and I switch every other year since we are not together. Somehow through the TurboTax app I still claim him through earned income credit, which I didn't know was possible.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Extremely Frustrating. TurboTax refuses to allow connection with technical support staff even though they have a serious software problem restricting electronic filing. IRS rejection is met with inaccurate resolution, conflicting IRS/TT requirements, and inability to identify a correction scenario applicable to the software in use by the customer. In my opinion, contact with Intuit executive management is justified and warranted.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I used TurboTax for three years until I noticed that they were making some serious mistakes and were unable to resolve them. Specifically, I receive a federal pension that is not taxable in Massachusetts yet they were automatically adding it to my state tax income. I called them on it and they were unable to rectify the problem. As I pursued efforts to get refunded my fees, they merely stopped responding to me. I embedded two years of returns, manually correcting their efforts and received over $2000 in refunds. I was most upset by their cavalier and dismissive attitude on the phone, and refusal to respond to me. I never received my "guaranteed" refund for dissatisfaction. So beware. There were numerous other errors but none so significant as that which I just mentioned.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I've used TurboTax for about the past 8-9 years. It was always pretty easy to use. This year seemed to have a bit of kinks and the "free" filing ended up costing almost $120. This fee was added at the VERY end, after hours of input and opting out of the Deluxe version multiple times. On top of that, $40 of it was to have the fees paid with my tax returns. I could've sworn they got into legal trouble with this last year. I've never used another company, but I definitely will next tax season.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I am unable to file my 2018 Federal Tax return due to the system requiring me to file form 2210 which addresses tax penalties. I am getting a refund so the form should not be file. At the suggestion of TurboTax help I tried to delete the form and it would not let me. I have spent a lot of time trying to fix the problem and despite being on the phone with the help people and many efforts at trying to resolve the problem, nothing has worked. I will never us TurboTax again and recommend to readers not to use it.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

This year was the first time I did it by myself online. They made everything easy and simple. 123 stuff wow. Will always use them. There is really no reason to go anywhere else and if something isn’t right they help. ❤️❤️

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I wasted all day today with a very incompetent, untrained, and uncaring team from TurboTax. I spoke to 3 reps. The first one couldn’t understand basic tax concepts and after speaking with her for an eternity, decided I should be forwarded to a tax advisor. I explained that I did NOT have a tax problem, I have a software problem. She transferred me anyway and recording said it would be in excess of an hour to talk to someone. I hung up. Second rep thought it was hilarious that the software said I owed the IRS 5.5 million dollars. After talking to him again for an eternity, I up on him.

Third rep - I had to explain myself so many times I wanted to strangle her. She asked me to spell “cost basis” - seriously? She took over my screen and repeated at least 20 times that she couldn’t see what I see - so what exactly is the point? When I got so angry I insisted on speaking with a manager, she got “level 2” support. Biggest joke ever. Level 2 is not allowed to talk to humans apparently and we had to talk thru level 1 which was amazingly useless and ridiculously time consuming. After spending ALL day on this, I could spend no more time.

Rep 3 promised to escalate the issue. So what did she do? She closed the ticket. Later that night when the hold queues weren't over an hour, I called to speak to a manager. The rep that answered had me on hold for quite a while, then disconnected the call. They again closed the ticket. DO NOT BUY TURBOTAX OR DEAL WITH INTUIT.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

After purchasing the software from the store and loading it on my computer, some of the screens did not line up. So, I had to move the page around my screen to hit continue or next on the page. Then, I had to pay a fee before it would let me print my return. When I called customer service, the representative was unprofessional and disinterested in helping me. In a rush to get me off of the phone, she told me to hit the shift enter key. A screen sharing app popped up. As I hear her walking around in the room that echoed her footsteps, she claimed that she couldn't see the screen. Therefore, I told her never mind. I called a second time in hopes of getting another more competent representative. Unfortunately, I was greeted by the answering service which stated that there was a 2 hour hold. Fortunately, I was able to troubleshoot the software on my own.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

2018 software is NOT up to date, lists lines on 1040 that do NOT exist e.g. line 16b!!! Buy at your own risk. Switching to new software, tried to call. On hold 2 hours plus tells you all the problems that they are having this year. Too bad. Used to be a good company, now -10.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I purchased TurboTax 2018. It loaded perfectly but then it came time to use it, ??? I was to the point in my return (Deductions and credits) to enter property taxes paid. The program didn't accept any input. Called TurboTax tech support, (2/11/2019) they told me the final addition will release 2/15/2019. On 2/15/2109 I opened TurboTax. Was informed update available. I accepted the 2 minute update. The program failed at the exact same point as before. I called tech support again. This time I did more research and found the program did NOT contain a Schedule A. Told tech support and they said I should update later the day. I did update. Result, still fails to allow me to enter property tax deduction. Tried again today, update accepted, program still fails. Tech support has NO idea when or if there is a fix.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I have used TT for years but this will definitely be the last. The more they scream free the higher the price goes. Then not only do they only force some to pay, the more you pay the slower they move. I will no longer use TT.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

As a 19 year old filing my taxes for the first time, TurboTax is 100% a complete scam. After spending hours for "free filing", they whip out their fees at the end. Having to pay $90 just to file my taxes is absolutely absurd. Most people who do use this piece of junk probably either have only one source of income or after spending hours entering data, they feel they have no choice but to succumb to the hidden fees. Total scam and I wish there was a way for me to put this review on their personal site.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I add my voice to those who ended up being forced to pay $80.00 for a "free filing" by TurboTax...or risk the loss of hours of inputs. It's a nickel-and-dime scam that never stops! Next year I am back to H&R Block.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

BEWARE. THE TURBOTAX EFILE OPTION TO HAVE THE TURBOTAX PROCESSING FEE DEDUCTED FROM YOUR REFUND. They snuck in an extra 45 dollar deduction for 3rd party "processing." If this amount showed up on their website, it was well hidden.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

This was the 3rd time my spouse & I filed with TurboTax, and the last 2 years were not that bad. Normally, I submit the taxes on my own, but since my spouse is in the military, and wanted to add other items regarding their service, I did the first portion of adding the information, & they did their additional edits. Alone I had one error I could not fix, & the information was not being added correctly, meanwhile, with my husband's edit it created a few more errors that we could not figure out how to edit. Unfortunately, these edits did not accumulate until after my spouse paid $74.98 in fees to find out it was best for us to go with another service agent. I spent 1 hr 15 mins on the phone to get my refund processed. The woman on the phone was kind, but the overall TurboTax service is the worst I've seen in my 3 years of service with them. Will be using a different tax service agent from now on.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I saw an ad for free use of TurboTax, easy to use. I filed my 2017 return and had talked with a TurboTax representative at length, filling out the form took many hours. I also received inappropriate information with the TurboTax link, filing an 8885 Form for my health insurance I had paid during this year. A line appeared on the TurboTax link as to whether I needed to fill out this form or not. The link contact was ambiguous and not helpful. Returning to the form, it stated my form was complete and ready to file. Months later, I received an IRS audit concerning this 8885 form and I provided the information requested. As a result, the IRS denied my tax refund of approximately $1,200 dollars, as it was inappropriate for my filing 8885. My complaint is the ambiguous nature of the filing program lead me to losing my 2017 tax refund. I will never use the TurboTax filing system again.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

One of the deductions I was eligible for wasn't available unless you upgraded to the Deluxe software for $39.99. I decided to do this, but then was charged over $70 rather than $39.99. Absolutely ridiculous.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

TurboTax has messed up my refund. Can't clearly follow instructions because it's always adding money to the fees. Started at $59 then went to $99 then went to $139. Then I had a question and it wanted to add more charges for asking. So I opted out and it auto sent my return before I could see if I could figure out what I needed to correct. Never again with TurboTax.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I had a problem with my tax refunds and it said I needed to upgrade to send them. I wanted to contact them over the phone to fix it since I don’t want to pay the ridiculous 40 dollars. But the automated machine kept bringing me in circles. Got irritated. Then when I finally got past it and could reach a REAL person, the message told me I needed to upgrade to the 40 dollar version to speak to a REAL person. I’m completely unsatisfied and irritated. I just wanted real help. To fix it. Not get FORCED into paying them money. Overall don’t want to use TurboTax anymore. Unfair and terrible support service for people who can’t afford it. Sorry but 40 is a lot to some people...

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I was on the phone with TurboTax for over an hour explaining that they had a problem. (Medicare payments are not transferring to Wisconsin Return). They said they had to be "reentered"...??? WHAT??? I am certain 95% of taxpayers assume that they would transfer! I tried the same thing in TaxSlayer and they transferred seamlessly. Since these premiums are deductible in Wisconsin, they are robbing many seniors of $$$ who blindly trust the software and do not know enough to ask the right questions. That is why I originally bought TurboTax, but now I realize I need to do more work in checking and studying IRS rules - I might as well do it on paper. What a joke of a company...

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I will absolutely NEVER use TurboTax to file my taxes EVER again. I have used TurboTax in previous years and was able to opt for the free version. This year the system practically tricked me into agreeing into all of these additional fees. By the time I was ready to close out the return there was $100+ in TurboTax fees deducted from my return...with no way to go back and take these fees away. I am absolutely disgusted in the unethical experience I just had trying to file my taxes with TurboTax. I will ensure that nobody I know uses this service for their 2018 taxes. This was an absolute robbery.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

TurboTax hidden fees. TurboTax say they are free, but they get you at the end when you are about to file, they won't let you file until you pay at least 80-100 bucks!!! I will not be filing my taxes with them again! Ripoffs!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

They were able to sneak in a 39.99 fee for processing your refund when you elect to have them to transfer your return to you. It was the exact price of the TurboTax deluxe and that's what I thought what I was being charged. Nope, it's on top of anything you purchased from TurboTax. I've used TurboTax for 10 years and never had to pay for having anything to do with having my returned deposited in my bank account. Never using TurboTax again.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I wanted to share my experience with TurboTax Self Employed. I had a terrible experience with HR Block, so I wanted to do my own tax this year and understand it better. I opted to get Self Employed TurboTax to get help from tax expert (since this is the first year I am using it). It's cheaper than HR Block, tax consultant is friendlier and way more knowledgeable! Plus everything went fast, I have a better understanding of my taxes now, compared to HR Block consultant who doesn't seem to like answering my questions. If you're like me married filing jointly, with full-time W4 income + part time Independent Contractor best way is to understand your tax more get TurboTax. Next year I will definitely use them again, did our taxes Feb 5, received our refund Feb 14! Way faster, didn't have a problem.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

They advertise as being free but once you've gotten all tax information filled out they still make you upgrade even when you don't need to. I woe the ** it's so why try to make me pay? If you said it was free, then why isn't it free. It's all ** to get people to complete their tax returns. In the end...you'll still have to pay in order to file.

Intuit expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

TurboTax is one of Intuit's many financial services products. Intuit, which was founded in 1983, has kept TurboTax at the top of the tax software industry. In 2013, more than 26 million taxpayers across the nation used a TurboTax service.

• Portability: Intuit’s TurboTax software is available on a variety of platforms including web-based, local software installations and even a dedicated iPad app.

• Expert advice: TurboTax customers can chat live with a tax expert at no extra charge.

• Business support: A Business version is available for use by multi-member LLCs, partnerships, S corporations, C corporations, and estates and trusts.

• Review: Intuit removed the option to have a return reviewed by a Certified Public Accountant, a benefit that set it apart from competitors.

• Customer service: Contacting customer service by phone is challenging; the TurboTax website requires customers to use a web form to provide contact information and view online help before releasing a phone number.

• Best for: Sole Proprietors, Small Business Owners, Taxpayers with Special Situations

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

Intuit - TurboTax Company Information