1.20/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 23, 2018

2400 Intuit - TurboTax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 23, 2018

I have been doing my taxes with TurboTax for years. I always got backlash on how the business was a scam and overcharged, but I consistently used the product. This year they showed their true colors. I completed my taxes and paid extra for the audit support as I do every year. I received a letter stating my taxes were under examination so I thought I was audited. I followed up with audit support and never received any assistance. Just an email stating to wait for the letters from the IRS. Some help!! Then I checked my account and noticed TurboTax charged my account (that I only provided for my direct deposit) for the fees that were to come out of my income tax return. When I called I got the runaround for over 60 minutes and still never got a true reason why they charged my account. I will NEVER use TurboTax nor will I recommend them to any my patients or coworkers. I may be only one person but TurboTax lost a loyal customer.

Original review: April 21, 2018

TurboTax sent me an e-mail offering 50% off to use their product. I clicked that link, chose that option and proceeded to do my taxes for the next 2 hours. When it was time to pay it showed full price and not the 50% off. So before paying I got customer service on the line. She shared my screen so we were both looking at the same thing. She verified that I was supposed to have the discount but it was not showing and she could not get it to. After trial and error she told me to click the pay option on the screen and she was issuing a refund. Refund never came and several calls later the company's answer is that they don't know how to issue a refund because of the way it was paid so they won't. I'm told my solution is that the representatives that lied to me will be reprimanded. I've no doubt what they did is illegal. I've saved all my interactions with them and will proceed as far as possible to ensure they don't keep stealing from people.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 20, 2018

When I e-filed my 2017 taxes on January 30 online through TurboTax's website I chose the standard free addition with the 1040A form. Which if you ask the cost for filing for that form on their website, it states $0.00 fee. When you begin the process of filing it provides you with different packages that they offer, with additional services that are included for a fee and you are also given the option to upgrade during the process, if needed. During the filing it asked about itemize for your gas, food and uniform. I begin to try to do that and realized it wouldn't be beneficial for the amount with the upgraded cost, so through the navigation I went back to the standard free filing (not itemizing).

TurboTax explained it was a navigation error (glitch) on the website. Which I believe is true because my amount of refund that it showed on the beginning and throughout the filing process never change with the amount to be deducted. Even when I was on the itemizing section page where it explained the fee for upgrading. Once I finished filling I was given the options to pay fees now or have them deducted from the refund if there were any. I chose to have it taken from the refund. I NEVER agreed or authorized to any other options or was I informed if the tax refund was compromised to a debt such as student loans, that I would be obligated to pay the fees by other means.

Until a email they sent me on March 14th stating I owe $82.37 for the fees. And they was going to attempt to collect it from my bank information which was only provided to deposit my refund. I was charged for the 2017 Turbotax Online Deluxe Tax Year 2017 Prep, 2017 Turbotax Online State Wv Tax Year 2017 Prep. I've called numerous times to get this error with the charges fixed before they try to charge my Bank account. Every representative I've spoken to said it shouldn't be a problem because it's obvious. I shouldn't have been charged for that package which provided services that I did not need and also did not use, when the free edition was all that was required for the type of tax filing.

I have numerous case numbers pertaining to this where have spoke with several. On 04/09 a attempt to debit the $82.37 from my checking account at the time didn't have the funds to cover it so the bank did a return item transaction, which caused a $36.00 fee to my account. On April 14th, I spoke with an agent Sheree; Case **, she also had her supervisor assisting her with resolving this issue. With this conversation they concluded that I should not be charged for the online Deluxe package because I didn't use the services with the package.

The supervisor advised her to also let me know the fee for filing state taxes, I will not owe for either because of the trouble. They advised me an email with a link will be sent to me on what documents to provide for the refund of $36.00 bank fee. **. Which has a incident reference **. I sent the requested documents that evening. I've tried calling to check on the status, but was never given an answer. Then on 04/16 another attempt to debit $82.37 from my account caused another $36.00 return item fee. So I called again and again and not one representative could even give me information to help me resolve this problem and put an end to it.

They just gave me the runaround. On 04/18 I sent a PDF file with both reflected fees to the URL for the refund request. Just got a email today 04/20 stated that because the bank he does not reflect NSF fee, it says returned item fee they will not reimburse me for those charges they caused to my bank account. And the reason it doesn't say NSF and it says returned item is because I don't have overdraft on my account but if there is an attempt debit I do get charged a fee to return that back to the sender. I also called and spoke with several representatives to find out why they are still trying to collect that amount and was it was resolved on 04/14 per the conversation reference case **.

The TurboTax representative stated that there will not be any more attempts to collect from my account. Spoke with a supervisor Matthew case # ** advised me he put detailed notes on the account reflecting the issue and try to get a result for me. He also stated my account reflects that I have had 17 interactions with other representative at TurboTax regarding this issue since 04/10. Going today 04/20 my bank and file fraud charges so hopefully I can get my $72.00 in fees they caused.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I filed an online extension with Turbotax (a free service). I know I put my husband's name on the line for that purpose, but when Turbotax sent in the extension request it put my name on twice instead of his name on the correct line. The extension was rejected. I got an email with a button to click to fix my extension but when I signed into Turbotax there was no place to click to fix the extension. So I tried to get help. Their support number gives no support for free services. You have to pay for support even if it was a problem with their software. There is no email to get help. Their online help desk only sends you to answers that do not help get the problem fixed (they tell you you'd better just go to the IRS site and pay instead of having the extension applied for through Turbotax.) What a mistake using this company! Avoid them!

Original review: April 20, 2018

I recently filed my 2017 with TurboTax. I owed $180 and when it came time to pay the TurboTax system rejected my Debit Card... I went to the 1040.gov website to make my payment and received a confirmation number. This morning I checked my bank account and the rejected payment from Turbo Tax went through resulting in a duplicate payment! I know it's not a lot of money but the hassle to get it returned from the IRS I think will be monumental. I would really recommend to people that they don't try and pay their taxes through TurboTax, but print their return and just mail in a check.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

Original review: April 19, 2018

I have used TurboTax since 2002 Home and Business. This year I had to download the version due to illness. Well, after I started, I realized that this was a huge mistake! I was very ill before, but, this just added to my misery... The program was awful. Was unable to retrieve my last year’s information. I had to edit almost everything. I could not get to a schedule C. At that point after hours of trying I gave up (I had closed the business anyway). Then I had to pay $119.00 for download (cd costs 89.00 in stores then another 39.99 to file and I have heard people are getting charge another 39.99 for processing). Note. $39.00 processing charge was not shown on my print out.

I will wait and see if they deduct that charge. As I said: “SHAME ON YOU TURBOTAX!” After all these years, I will never use TurboTax again. You have turned into a greedy, switch and bait company, trying to gouge everything you can out of a customer and while offering less and less. So now, I have to wait and see how long it will take their 3rd party to issue my refund to my bank and just how much more they will take out of it... I hope they get a class action lawsuit!

Original review: April 19, 2018

I e-filed in early February and got a complete hard copy of the form. In early March, when I tried to check "Where's my refund" IRS indicated that they never heard of me. When I went back to my return virtually all of my income had been deleted. I had to go back and reenter the information and again e-filed. My returns, both state and federal, were rejected by IRS leading to the state return being rejected. After a frantic search to get their telephone number I spoke to a "techie" who told me to resubmit the return. Still no success.

The next call resulted in them telling me to use the "Fix my return" feature, which I did. I then resubmitted and it was again rejected. Today, after the filing date, they told me I would have to snail-mail my returns. When I asked for a refund on the filing fee and for them to cover the cost of any late penalties incurred because their system failed they told me I would be called by a supervisor within two hours. It is now 8 hours later and no phone call.

Updated on 04/24/2018: After being insistent I was able to get a supervisor and asked for a full refund of the cost of the software, e-filing fees, mailing expense (minimal) an any IRS penalties for late filing. They sent me a form to fill out for a refund...that's the glitch. They want me to mail them the original software disc at my own expense...if I can find it which I doubt. They want the original sales slip when I purchased the software back in January...long gone. Even though they have all the details in my case they want so much more information that it becomes burdensome to even think about ever seeing my money. Next year I pay an accountant.

Original review: April 18, 2018

So these programs have become a real black box where you cannot see exactly what is going on behind the scenes because I guess they are afraid if you see the tax forms you will just copy the data and go somewhere else. Anyway I looked at a form that I ended up not needing in the self-employment program. I only needed the Deluxe program and they DO NOT LET YOU DOWNGRADE. They tell you just clear your data and start over. Who is going to spend another 5 hours on this crap? NO ONE SHOULD USE THIS RIPOFF Program that won't let you pick the right version at the end.

Original review: April 18, 2018

TurboTax Premier CD software should come with a warning... Beware to those who need to divide income between 2 states. Or more correctly, dividing your wages between GA and NC. We spent hours trying to get TurboTax Premier download of NC state tax return software to allow us to enter the correct split of income between the 2 states... it cannot be done. GA state tax return software appears to work ok. The NC state return software will take the change, then you will go to the next few screens and save your changes.

Then later on, it will remove your changes, and you'll make the changes again, it will take them and the return review process states everything is ok, then before you file your state return, it removes your changes again! We did this process over and over again at least about 10 times... same result every time. We finally gave up, filed our tax return (incorrect) just so we were not late in filing. Now we need to figure out how to get the excess taxes paid to NC. We bet TurboTax will not help pay for that.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Yes if you can actually believe it I think that TurboTax has actually reduced my intelligence by using it. They use a tiered sales system and want you to upgrade, they effectively make you feel stupid and need their help because they withhold information and clear CRA tax references. Maybe clever, but very resentful practice. I chose the "regular" paid return, with much pressure to upgrade. I've done my taxes many times on paper, so I have a reasonable understanding of how things work when filling out a return. I later did another person's taxes on SimpleTax and it was a much more straightforward experience, with line-by-line CRA references and done in a fraction of the time. Using computers was supposed to make taxes less stressful, thanks a lot TurboTax for ruining that, you suck. TurboTax contact or customer service in regards to their product is non-existent. P.S. I also realize "stupider" is not proper English, but I think it is a case in point.

Original review: April 18, 2018

IT USED TO BE EASY. Now it's clumsy and slow. GO "BACK" TO EDIT and you can easily lose entered data. You can get in circles where it keeps sending you back to the same pages. No warning of the $25 extra to e-file state until you are trying to e-file and it smoothly leads you to agree to the added charge by requiring you to notice the trap and to find a not obvious way out. Nor does it warn that you CANNOT e-file without last year's AGI. But no fear, IRS will send a copy in 5-10 days. So you get to that point at the very end and are offered the "option" to file paper (when every PO in miles is closed.).

Original review: April 18, 2018

Turbotax 2018 - Worst year EVER for TurboTax. After selecting my "free" software, and selecting my "Free State", this company charged me $229. AND the taxes are not correct, software showed that I owed taxes, however, when I printed them, it shows ZERO owed which unfortunately is not correct. Can't get anyone in tech support to assist. I want a REFUND!

Original review: April 17, 2018

My Federal Tax was rejected yesterday 4/16/2018: this is the first time in my 12th consecutive year of doing TurboTax that I had multiple problems filing after all entries were made. Plus, the total program asked unnecessary repetitive questions, adding to the time of doing all the inputs/entry process. Now, I'm waiting for pending Federal and MI State e-files, TurboTax: "This happens from time to time, but we're here to help".

Original review: April 17, 2018

I just paid 116.97 to TurboTax. 39.99 processing fee for to take out of refund I guess. 39.99 for to file federal and 34.00 for state which I didn't even have nothing coming back from them. I was told I was only paying 76.00 on my receipt. Somehow they managed to explain it so that they can keep the money but it's all good. I'm not arguing a no win case. Normally they tell you what you getting after the fees. This time they told you what you was getting before the fees then they take your money/fee out before your refund gets to you. So you thinking you getting one thing and it's another. If that's not hidden fees then I don't know what is. I will not use it again for 116.00 dollars. I'll write them the long way. SMDH???

Original review: April 17, 2018

TurboTax is HORRIBLE! A huge waste of time. It is beyond slow, and no guidance to go back to edit any information. After 3 hours of trying to file a simple tax form with only a standard deduction & with only half the form completed, I signed out and logged onto FreeTaxUSA. Both my state & federal taxes were completed & filed within 90 minutes with the FreeTaxUSA preparation.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Just like the many reviews I have read, I am a long time TurboTax Deluxe user and I have always been given a free state filing. This year the price was $24.99, even after being advertised for $19.99. They also tell you that you can pay for your taxes with your visa and get points, but that hardly outweighs the lofty 2.5% service charge. In my case that would be over $76! Where on earth can you get away with charging that kind of fee for using a credit card. You would think there would be a law forbidding that kind of user fee. I'll be looking for alternative means of doing my taxes next year.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I have used this company before but I have seen that they seem to get worse every year and this one was the worst of them all. I just spent hours of my time trying to get my Federal and state returns. I expected there would be a payment for the state. After all the time spent working on getting the return filed I get to the end where I expected the amount for the state return to file. I get a bill quote of over $70 just to get this all e-filed. Their MAX is not a option to be removed even after I looked up from their support on how to remove this to find this isn't even a option.

I despise companies that deceive their customers and that is exactly what this company does. There are hundreds of better alternatives not to mention most people can even file for free. I am submitting all of the information I have including screenshots of their website and the total that comes up after a person has only spent all their time on this waste. I will never do business with them again. I am in contacting some close friends of mine in the military as I am a Army veteran. They will be making sure that Intuit this sorry excuse for a company gets shut down for good. Intuit you may enjoy the money for now but trust me you will go down and it will be hard.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I choose to e-file this year because Turbo Tax advertised a "free e-file". Turns out that is a big fat scam. They asked me questions and I followed along, added all my information. At no time did they inform me of prices. Then I got to the end, they forced me to pay $59.99 for taxes to be filed because "I didn't qualify for the free e-file". At no time did they ever tell me what I was doing would cost extra. I even tried to backtrack and figure out what costed me the $59.99. Then when I called them to ask, they simply told me that I must have answered a certain question that caused me to not qualify. Well that is just fabulous. Lesson learned, next year I will be paying half that price for my CPA. Don't use Turbo Tax, they are scammers.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Went online to do taxes with TurboTax free. Filled out earning & because won money @ a casino and had a W2-G had to pay $59.99 for deluxe edition which states it includes e-file in price. However that’s not true either because when you try to finish the return to e-file or even print up return you have to pay additional $39.99 or can’t finish your return.

I called customer service to rectify the issue. Agent named Orlando said yes it is a misrepresentation as if it’s no big deal that they are ripping off people. This is supposed to be a reputable co. I normally purchase the CD version of TurboTax and usually have good results and would have done so again if I had know the internet version was such a rip off. The CDs are only around $35-$40. On the internet the free version winds up costing closer to $100 maybe more since haven’t gotten past the final stage yet. I have left message for return call from customer service but not hopeful that they will help either. I plan on trying a different tax version next year. I don’t trust TurboTax anymore.

Original review: April 16, 2018

File FREE with TurboTax. So you find out right away it is $60... but after several hours in of answering all the redundant questions and non-stop advertisements... "Oh. That will be another $40 to file your State Return and if you don't want to pay today we will take it out of your Federal Return for only $40 more... bringing your free tax return to $140.00, minus a few pennies!" Where is the accountability in internet commerce? Are all the fat liar politicians in their pockets? Who knew the great American tradition would be reduced to a den of thieves in a little over 200 year... a thousand less than it took Rome to fall?

Original review: April 16, 2018

Basic Overview: New format, nicely done. Version was unable to detected my prior returns. Free teaser, is just that... a tease. (Use Caution, details below.) USE CAUTION! The system is programmed to be business savvy "or" rather intentionally designed to scrape every penny out of "YOU" that it can. [I lost my allegiance here.]

(1) Forces upgrade to a more expensive package, in order to complete your return. I imagine/hope this is simply for folks whom have more than W2's to file. (2) DO NOT SELECT PAY USING TAX RETURN. They automatically attach a $39.99 to receive your money "ONE DAY" faster. [This just made me mad at myself really. I already knew to be careful. I was got... Yes... Tricked, fooled, blindsided and paying an additional $40 or $39.99 [to be fair] to receive my money "ONE DAY" faster than free e-filling.] Shame on me. Oh, yes... They did explain the charges... [Drum-Roll] When there is NOTHING that could be done about it. I would imagine, that is why a frequently asked - help response is waiting to enlighten you.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I've been using TurboTax (Basic, Deluxe) for several years, and, for the most part have been satisfied. This year, however, has been a real challenge. First issue was the transfer of my 2016 information into the 2017 return. Typically, it's automatic and a no-brainer. This year I loaded the program as usual and it indicated that my prior year info had successfully transferred, but when I went to start the return none of it (names, employers, income, deductions) had transferred. The software asked for my name and address like I had never used the product before. Looked up Customer Service. Posted my question to the website, it gave me a number to call.

When I dialed it, the wait time was 24 minutes, about as long as it would take for me to re-enter everything manually so I hung up. Finished the return and went to file it. Requires my 2016 AGI and my PIN which is in my 2016 return (filed with TurboTax Deluxe and saved on my external drive). Attempted to open the 2016 return using the 2017 software and it shows like I've never entered a 2016 return. No refund/tax due, no income info, nothing. After numerous really good years, it sad that this one was so disappointing. A primary reason that I continued to use this software every year was the convenience of NOT having to enter names, addresses, employers, deductions, etc.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I send in 2 questions about 4 days ago, and no response. I called in 4 times, and they sent me to another departments and then another department and then the call dropped. They probably wanted me to use their live CPE or EA to go over my taxes! Why would I pay more if this is how they do business. Plus, one of the question was to show them that there were an error in how they calculate to cost basis of an ISO. I can't wait for the tax law changes so they can go out of business... Also, they advertised that they support 24/7. That is a lie!

Original review: April 15, 2018

I have paid for a TurboTax CD but have not been given full functionality in that I cannot print without watermarks. This a complaint with VERY MANY people. I have filed with the IRS without any complaint mailing in returns before with the "Form not Final - Do not File" watermark. It has not been a problem with the IRS. I had put in a note that it was final and I just could not get the watermark to go away. TURBOTAX, YOU NEED TO HAVE A BOX TO CHECK TO REMOVE THE WATERMARK. Maybe a few caution screens, but this is a problem and you need to send me a new updated disk is I can't update. At least only have a small watermark that does not cover the information. I will probably just mail it in once again with the watermark if this is not resolved, but I have spent hours on this.

I do not have access to high speed internet. I keep getting told to go online and update. That only gets an error message after several minutes. Repeated tries get the same result. I do like that there is now an override option again for depreciation which took a lot of time for data reentry. This nets more stars than if I was only addressing the watermark issue. I had bought but ended up not using TurboTax for 2016 due to depreciation entry issues, and used a free program instead. I did come back to TurboTax since depreciation can now be an override entry.

I did see one comment from someone trying to get a clean, no watermark print, on 2005 returns. TurboTax gave the stupid answer that they should not need returns that old. And they could not be updated to remove the watermark. This person needed them for some reason, maybe a property basis, but to just tell presume and tell someone they should not need 2005 returns was a bad answer.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Although I thought and was told for the first phone call that my son's taxes would be accepted by entering -0- for the AGI by Benvetra, that was not the case. Please review the recorded conversation for proof of these statements. On my 3 rejection I called again and spoke with Franchisca. I informed her of the actions I was told to take by entering zero as the AGI which I did and the taxes were rejected on the third time. After 45 minutes of going back and forth with being put on hold I was told that NO TurboTax would not give me a refund of my hundred dollars that it cost me and the only option I had was to file by paper now. That is completely unacceptable as I did what I was told to do on the phone call before because I saw that once I did it the third time and it was rejected I'd have to do it on paper so not my fault. TurboTax is at fault for giving me the incorrect information on this first phone call and I want my hundred dollars back.

I will never use TurboTax again which is going to be really a problem because I've used you for over 15 years but I will tell everybody and their brother for the rest of my life never ever use TurboTax because they do not give a crap about the customer or owning their mistakes or returning the customers money. I get it. You're a big company. You don't care about the little people but $100 means a lot to me. Thank you.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Turbo Tax 2017 - I ordered the basic version for the last 2 years, after ordering the standard version for many years. My wife and I are retired and we jointly file and share my retirement income. This year I entered both our returns simultaneously and expected to have income splitting applied. When I ended up owing a lot of money (for the second year in a row), I investigated what was happening. It seems that unless you upgrade to the standard version it will not income split. You have to go to the forms itself and figure out how to force it to happen. I did so and got my return. I realized, that I did not do that last year and Intuit's money grab had cost me 6000 dollars. Thanks a lot bogus product.

Original review: April 14, 2018

They claimed free edition, but waited till 2 HOURS into filing before letting me know that I was still going to have to pay their $60 fee, H&R Block is cheaper and faster. Easy to use website, but hope you have a movie playing and ordered a pizza 'cause you will finish both before finishing your taxes.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Worse than horrible. I have used TurboTax and Quicken for at least 15-20 years. I cannot wait to cancel. I will "attempt" to keep this brief. Among many other issues my previous returns, including the 1040 I submitted on 02 18 18, are all gone. I log in, the system knows who I am, when I select previous returns is informs me "you joined TurboTax this year". All returns including this years are gone. I received the same response when I filed on 02 18 18 that I had just joined and there are no previous returns. This is the first time a company has BEGGED me to stop giving the $$ every year and I promise to comply. Many, many, many other issues. Just one smaller one: The CD we received was damaged. It appeared as though someone used a hot glue gun on several parts of the CD. I PAY FOR the download and CD but the download was more painful than it should have been.

Other issues with TurboTax functionality. It is a shame as I have historically enjoyed and thought highly of the product. This year undid EVERY good memory. And... The Contact Us function on the Intuit website is somewhere between buffoonery and horrible. And it appears as though canceling future orders (I am, and have been on an auto renewal plan for a long, long time) will be painful, as has been the entire process.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I was a victim of identity theft and spent hours trying to prove I didn’t file a return with these crazy folks. The “fraud” unit hung up on me several times because they didn’t want to hear me call them out. I suspect the fraud is initiated by the employees.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I have used them for a few yrs and the last 2 yrs I have paid them... I was puzzled last yr as to what they do and why I had to do so much with getting my taxes and all the legwork I had to do but I just blamed the system. This yr I was receiving more back than usual so chose them to cover me and I still; have no refund and no help and they took my money and they will not give it back with me complaining. They are not helping me... Just taking my money. That is all I see they are good for. So beware.

Intuit expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

TurboTax is one of Intuit's many financial services products. Intuit, which was founded in 1983, has kept TurboTax at the top of the tax software industry. In 2013, more than 26 million taxpayers across the nation used a TurboTax service.

• Portability: Intuit’s TurboTax software is available on a variety of platforms including web-based, local software installations and even a dedicated iPad app.

• Expert advice: TurboTax customers can chat live with a tax expert at no extra charge.

• Business support: A Business version is available for use by multi-member LLCs, partnerships, S corporations, C corporations, and estates and trusts.

• Review: Intuit removed the option to have a return reviewed by a Certified Public Accountant, a benefit that set it apart from competitors.

• Customer service: Contacting customer service by phone is challenging; the TurboTax website requires customers to use a web form to provide contact information and view online help before releasing a phone number.

• Best for: Sole Proprietors, Small Business Owners, Taxpayers with Special Situations

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby

Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

Intuit - TurboTax Company Information