1.38/5

2703 Intuit - TurboTax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 20, 2019

I have been using TurboTax for over 10 years to file my return and those of my two grown children. This year we filed my son's return in January. No problem. In

February I attempted to file my return but got this message, "Your Illinois return is currently unavailable to view, print or download because some of the forms haven't been finalized." After waiting a few weeks I decided to contact Customer Support. I spent about two hours on three phone calls and she finally sent me a link to a download.

I downloaded and installed the fix and restarted TurboTax. Now I see a screen telling me I have to pay another $47.80 to download my Illinois form. I paid the ransom and suddenly the Illinois form appeared. TurboTax should have presented a screen saying, "THIS IS A HOLDUP - SEND MONEY IF YOU WANT TO COMPLETE YOUR TAX RETURN." I spent hours of my time plus the time on the phone with the Customer Support person. What a way to run a company! I will find an alternate way to file our tax returns next year.

Original review: March 20, 2019

After I finished filling out all the necessary information, I then learned I would have to pay a fee of $39.00 for my payment of $59.99 to be taken out of my $231 refund with my net refund being $132. I will not pay this fee of $39 because it was not disclosed before filling out all the information especially when I have a tax consultant who will charge me $50 with no hidden fees. I will never use TurboTax again. Beware of the $39 fee taken from your refund plus other fees.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
Original review: March 20, 2019

TT should be taken out of stores. It gave me a house tax credit that I should not have got. It gave me $400 income credit that I should not of got... It just did not look right. I was getting way too much back. So I took my paperwork to a tax place and for $75 dollars they made it right and took only 20 min. Glad I did not send in TurboTax. I took TT back to Target and they gave me a refund. Never again will I use TT. Use it if you want a letter from the IRS.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I used TurboTax for the second time this year. When I go into my 2017 tax return, the home page summarizes my refunds from Federal and State. Perfect, However, when I go into my actual documents, all the numbers are different and it indicates I owe $7000 on Federal!!! After doing a lot of research, I found a bogus 1099-R for a $40,000 distribution that never happened.

The bogus 1099-R for $40,000 that mysteriously appeared had a federal ID number but only ** for the Payer with no address. I had about a 1 ½ hour conversation with someone at TurboTax to try to understand why my 2017 tax documents changed in TurboTax after I filed. Once you file, you cannot go into the system and change anything.

When I go into TurboTax and look at previous year taxes, the federal and state refund dollar amounts are correct. However, if you go into the actual tax return documents, they are totally different. There is a 1099-R document that indicates I had a $40,000 distribution and it caused all of the numbers in the tax return to change. It now indicates that I owe over $7000 when I actually got a federal tax return refund of $3505. That change put me in a different tax bracket and also caused a huge tax change social security tax obligation.

I filed my taxes through TurboTax. They got the correct documents and I received the correct refund. My goal was to determine how that 1099-R appeared in my tax documents after-the-fact – totally changing what I originally filed through TurboTax. The person I talk to said that I should file an amendment. I asked why I would do that when the IRS /State received the correct tax documentation and the mistake is within TurboTax, not with the government. If I filed an amendment, I figured they would get confused.

The TurboTax representative was never able to give me an answer. I wanted him to send this issue to a boss, a fraud dept. –someone who could determine why this happen. That never did. I have copies of my correct 2017 tax return. I have copies of the bogus 2017 tax return that appeared in TurboTax sometime during 2018. The issue was closed out without my getting a satisfactory answer. The advice was that I should call the IRS to try to find out the company that owns federal ID text number ** – the federal ID that was on the 1099-R that mysteriously appeared and threw off my entire 2017 tax numbers.

The gentleman I talked to was trying to be very helpful and I appreciate all the time that he took in investigating and understanding what happened. I think he is as confused as I am as to how this could have happened. We checked the computer activity and there was nothing suspicious. I told him that even if somebody had gotten into my account, it was my understanding that none of my numbers could be changed after I filed electronically through TurboTax. So technically, this should not have happened. It would be nice to solve the mystery. I am concerned about the security of TurboTax. I am concerned with their unwillingness to investigate. I will never use them again.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Been using TurboTax for many years and love it. It is exceptionally thorough and that is GOOD. Never ever had an issue from IRS on my returns. It has so many wonderful features that help ensure you don't miss anything.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

Original review: March 19, 2019

I, like many others here, have used TurboTax for years. This year I figured it would be like the others, charged minimal for federal and state is usually free. This year, I was charged $60 for federal, $40 for state, AND they then wanted to charge $40 **JUST TO TAKE THE MONEY DIRECTLY FROM YOUR REFUND**, HOWEVER there is no warning to this hidden fee until you're about to click "pay". TurboTax has become a nickel and dime corporation, and makes a profit by scamming people through false advertising and hidden fees.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I’m a long time customer and was tricked into thinking I was getting a free filing. But I was charged double what the software costs at Sam’s Club and was not told until the end of a 2 1/2 hour filing process. I called, basically told I could opt out, but all the provided information would be lost.

Original review: March 18, 2019

After entering all our incomes and mortgage interest payment the due Federal and State taxes looked pretty much OK. Few day later due amounts looked same as before until I started to enter some more deductions (state car taxes, etc.); there was a message the $10,000 limit deduction for state taxes was reached and some deductions will not apply. But the HUGE SURPRISE was seeing the due taxes skyrocketing by $20,000 Federal and $3,500 State.

The software does not allow to reverse such changes either by not saving or by using some "undo" feature. Next day, I tried to remove the deductions - no real change. Then I went the drastic way by removing all incomes - guess what TurboTax was showing with ZERO income! $11,600 due Federal and $1,360 due for State. THIS IS WHAT YOU BETTER CALL GARBAGE PROGRAM!!!

Original review: March 18, 2019

I have filed with TurboTax for several years now and I've always qualified for the free service. I realize that people should not expect services for free forever, so I'm willing to pay a little for a great convenience. Having said that, this year was like being nickel and dimed at the circus. Nothing has changed about our lifestyle/circumstances. We are in the same home as the last 6 years, no children at home, wages and SS income are about the same, from the same employers, and I get a tax credit from the Healthcare Marketplace as I have for the last 3 years. Nothing has changed. Except as I entered our income information, it wasn't clear where my husband's SS income should be entered.

I finally figured it out but it was as if I was going to enter another W2 for myself. After that, when I entered the information on the Healthcare tax credit form 1095, it told me I had to upgrade to Deluxe. From free for both my federal and state taxes, I was now going to be charged $59.99 for the federal return and also $39.99 for the state return. No happy medium, eh? From zero to $100 all because I have a 1095 form! I confirmed this with an assistant on the TurboTax Facebook messenger. Because I complained, I was given a courtesy "service code" for a $20 discount. I do appreciate that. I also went through my USAA website and got another $10 off.

Oh, but that wasn't true because looking at TurboTax's pricing page, they already have a $10 discount (from the $59.99) so I don't think I got my USAA discount. At any rate, I paid $69.99 for both basic tax returns that have been free for years. Oh, one more issue. I was unable to have the fees deducted from my federal return. It just didn't appear as an option on the page. Apparently, there's a whole list of things that will force you to pay by credit/debit card. One of those things is if there are any pending tax laws that haven't gone through yet, which could change your refund, they won't let you pay from your refund. There is something regarding the mortgage interest deduction that is pending, so that stopped me from being able to pay out of my refund. Never mind that I took the standard deduction and it will not make any difference once it's settled. So I paid by debit card.

I guess I should be glad, because they are now charging a $40 transaction fee (because they've contracted with an outside financial institution to withdraw the money for TurboTax fees) before you get your money direct deposited. Like I said, Highway Robbery! It costs pennies for these types of transactions at the most, but of course, they can get away with charging $40 for a split second of automatic computations on a giant computer. Gee, thanks TurboTax. I've enjoyed the convenience while it lasted but next year I'm changing companies.

Original review: March 18, 2019

For the past several years I found it impossible to load TurboTax into my windows based computer. It simply would not load. Had to contact TurboTax and get it to authorized a download of its program into my computer.

Original review: March 18, 2019

TurboTax walks you through the process, step-by-step. It’s so easy to use. If you have questions, you can ask the community, or a TurboTax agent. They are very responsive. I highly recommend TurboTax!

Original review: March 17, 2019

I used a new email address this year to file, and now my return has been put on freeze for 48 hours - the max they can hold it under IRS law. In the security email, it provides a phone number to call to "let them know" it's really me, but when I call, I am greeted by an punchable-sounding robot voice explaining my return has been put on hold because I used a different email. Okay, now why would you send me an email telling me to call a number that will tell me the same thing as the email??? The cheerful robot then tells me "no further action is needed." Does this mean my return has been unfrozen?? Will it be filed?? Who knows?? I guess I'll have to wait and see, because I can't actually talk to anyone about this without paying $30. That's some textbook extortion right there. Not impressed.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Up until the last step of the process, I was very pleased with TurboTax. It is quick and easy to use. I get to the LAST step, after a good hour and a half, and I get a message saying I must upgrade to Deluxe. It waited until the last possible step to tell me this, probably to push people towards paying the fee after all the time they spent entering information. It is not as "free" as it would lead you to believe, and I consider their methods predatory. Would not recommend.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I clicked on a link on my bank's website that was supposed to get me free TurboTax online ($80) discount. It took me to TurboTax, after I completed and filed my taxes I saw they had applied a $15 discount. When I finally managed to get in touch with customer no service, they informed me they do not give refunds. How stupid are they, I wasn’t asking for a refund, I was asking for the discount I was promised when I started the process. Too bad they have decided to steal money from unsuspecting users and have truly lost sight of what customer service is and taking ownership of a problem they caused. Certainly won't use them next year!!! Just hope I don’t have to listen to their obnoxious Free Free Free Free Free ad next year. Epic fail Intuit/TurboTax.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Their system doesn’t work for MC users. Hours and hours with tech support. WARNING. DO NOT USE TURBOTAX. It’s an inferior product and its staff is filled with inept uneducated people. STAY AWAY. Nasty people — it’s been a nightmare. My amended return was printed on the WRONG FORMS.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I filed my taxes through TurboTax and I have not received a refund yet and they don't know anything about it...very unprofessional. That is my money. I should have gotten my return by now. I don't think they did it properly.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I have used TurboTax on and off for several years. I now make use of the FREE edition since I am retired and have very few deductions. They also include e-filing with both the Federal and State return.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I just signed-up with TurboTax online yesterday to take care of my taxes...the whole reason for filing w/ TurboTax was because their commercials made them seem fool-proof and they were supposed to be quicker & cheaper than going in to H&R Block AND I could eFile which would get my returns quicker. THEY COST THE SAME as going to H&R Block in person AND they weren’t able to eFile for me because their system wasn’t accepting a number from my W2s at which point they directed me to the IRS “to push it thru” who told me they don’t do that, that it was TurboTax that needed to solve that issue. They weren’t able to solve my issue after being on the ph. for 2 hrs...TWO-HOURS! At which point they informed me I’m now going to have to MAIL-IN my papers and am still being charged $299 because they FILLED OUT MY FORMS!!! Aahhhh!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!

Original review: March 16, 2019

Well developed software app by reputable Quicken leads me to trust the tax legality & app reliability. I’ve been using it for a decade so my past tax return info is carried forward to the new tax year saving me time. Recently, I couldn’t find my printed copies of previous years and found it very easy to download them. Last year I needed CPA advice and found it incredibly easy & helpful to be able to get a CPA on the phone who could look at my return real time & provide advice on an unusual circumstance. I was able to file with confidence that my return was correct. Price is very reasonable compared to hiring a a tax firm.

Original review: March 16, 2019

The APP downloaded was missing some steps to complete my return and I needed to wait for the next couple of updates. It seems each year I pay more money for less features. I most likely will look into other applications for filing my future tax returns.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I have used Deluxe for many years. Now I can't access a live person online without paying an exorbitant additional fee to converse with an agent online to ask a simple question because it wants me to pay an additional $90 to ask a simple question about whether something is tax deductible & where to enter the information.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I bought the TurboTax premium CD this year with FREE STATE. When I got to filing my state in the program, it would not file until I paid $24.99. What happened to FREE STATE! It was a real come on and a rip off!

Original review: March 14, 2019

I have used TurboTax for years, and have always been happy until Intuit took $59.98 of my Federal Tax Refund to the benefit of something called Green Dot Bank. Perhaps I missed it when Intuit included a notice about what this Green Dot Bank was. Shame on me! Will I allow this to happen again. You bet your H&R Block I won't. After paying up front for the TurboTax software, I object to being charged again. I'm not coming back.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I purchased the TurboTax cd and did my 2018 Federal and State income tax. I have used it in the past and have had little problems. This year I e-filed to both the Federal and Illinois. Both accepted my filing and I was finished. I did owe Illinois a small sum of money. I printed out my Federal file with no problem. When I tried printing out the Illinois return, TurboTax stated that the State was incomplete. I needed one form from the state (IL-1040V) in order to pay what I owed. I went into the forms section of the program and there was my Illinois return. I tried to print it, but the program would not allow it. I spent most of the day trying different things to get this printed.

The next day I called TurboTax which was a chore getting a human to talk to. A person named "Norman **" made an attempt to help me. When he hit a dead end he stated that he was going to talk to a specialist and he would call me right back. He never called back! The following day I called again. This time I was able to talk to a specialist named Loc. Loc did her very best to solve this problem. I talked with her for three hours trying different things she and her team suggested. Nothing helped. I ended the session downloading a fix which would take time and also had dinner. Loc stated that if that fix didn't work, I should call back tomorrow. It didn't work!

I called back the next day and spoke with a specialist named Ken. Ken started off saying that he had 15 years of experience and that he would solve the problem. After a short time we lost phone contact. He tried calling me back but he called on my cell. The problem was I was talking on my landline which was the same number that was the call back number for three days. I didn't have the cell with me. He called 3 times, you would think with 15 years of experience he would have checked the number. He sent an email telling me he called three times and if I wanted a copy I should go to the State of Illinois and request one. I tried emailing him back but it was not accepted. I will never buy TurboTax again! I will tell all that will listen of the poor program and service they have.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I have used the Deluxe version of TurboTax for my federal and state income taxes for more than 10 years and have been very satisfied. TurboTax makes complicated tax issues as simple and straightforward as they can be and the electronic submission option is most helpful.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I have used TurboTax for YEARS and this year is pure hell. The program pulls my Fed info into the MA forms and doubles my income causing questions to surface. I cannot change the amount in the MA 1040 form. I will likely end up just doing my taxes with pen and IRS forms. Waste of money buying TurboTax this year. Likely won't buy it again.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Easy to use, thanks to their step by step option. Customer service is helpful too in rare cases when you need extra help. Tried free Credit Karma online tax return: like day and night, stopped in the middle and will not use it.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I used Intuit TurboTax to file my taxes. The total cost quoted was 76.84. I was given an option to have the cost paid from my federal refund and chose this. There was NOTHING to say there would be additional fees or that my refund would go to another bank. I simply chose this option as it seemed the simplest way to pay. Had I known it was going to cost additional fees I would not have done so. I have not received my refund, and cannot speak to anyone since I "did not pay for customer service". After a lot of run around I found out my federal refund went to Civista Bank. This is not my bank and I did not authorize this. I then found out Civista has taken a total of $136.83 from my refund, also not authorized. They have not given me my refund, nor contacted me to advise they have had my money for almost a month. This is a total and complete sham run by Intuit in conjunction with Civista Bank in Sandusky Ohio.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I like the ease of navigating in TurboTax this year. Everything was going good until I had to pay for e-file of state. I always use a credit card. Note the extra 39.00 for taking it out of my refund. After about an hour I gave up and paid the fee. So instead of $24 I had to pay the $24 plus an extra $39. I have used TurboTax for 10 years. This is my last.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I have been using TurboTax for years and as always, it's very easy to use and gets your taxes done faster. But the fees being charged no longer make it worth it. This is my last year using TurboTax. The fees are over $300 for me this year and I don't have a business. I have 4 states I have to file and for each state they want $44 plus the $69 for the federal. Then when you e-file, get out another $24 per state return. BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! If you are getting returns, you get charged another $39 for "Return Processing Fees". It's too much TurboTax. I am done. Goodbye.

Intuit expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

TurboTax is one of Intuit's many financial services products. Intuit, which was founded in 1983, has kept TurboTax at the top of the tax software industry. In 2013, more than 26 million taxpayers across the nation used a TurboTax service.

• Portability: Intuit’s TurboTax software is available on a variety of platforms including web-based, local software installations and even a dedicated iPad app.

• Expert advice: TurboTax customers can chat live with a tax expert at no extra charge.

• Business support: A Business version is available for use by multi-member LLCs, partnerships, S corporations, C corporations, and estates and trusts.

• Review: Intuit removed the option to have a return reviewed by a Certified Public Accountant, a benefit that set it apart from competitors.

• Customer service: Contacting customer service by phone is challenging; the TurboTax website requires customers to use a web form to provide contact information and view online help before releasing a phone number.

• Best for: Sole Proprietors, Small Business Owners, Taxpayers with Special Situations

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

Intuit - TurboTax Company Information