Intuit - TurboTax

Compare Tax Services

Research top Tax Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

If anyone else has had a problem with TurboTax charging for online filing when they advertised it as being free, please let me know. They deducted $103.17 from my checking account without my permission for federal and state. That's even more than if I bought those two products separately. At least the state should have been free anyway! If I would have known they were going to charge, I would have bought the program at Staples for $49.99 and gotten the state for free like I usually do. But they fraudulently lead you to believe that online filing is free. I want to start a civil suit against this company.

Keeps emailing saying we owe x amount of dollars to their bank for selecting payment. The IRS audited. No refund. No help. As they claim no answer. FYI. They can't help anyways cause they only know limited info.

They don't even deserve any stars but that's the only way I can warn people about them. Used TurboTax last year. It screwed up my social security big time. I'm still fighting with them. My husband and I are equal contract labor. TurboTax doesn't have form for that. They reported his income on me, even though both 1099 misc were entered. I thought it was something I did. I called IRS. They sent me the corrected info I needed (big plus for IRS). So this year instead of e-filing I printed forms to check. Found same screw up again. Tried to correct. Got message box same info not available.

Called Turbo, young lady tried to help. Couldn't. Transferred me to tech was rude said, "I can't do anything about it. Try filing later." I told him, "It needed to be done now, not 2-3 weeks." He told me nothing he can do. I told him, "All this work done was worthless and unusable." He could care less. Told him to refund my money so I could find a tax program that does have all info. He told me it will take 2-3 weeks to get refunded. DON'T USE TURBOTAX. RIPOFF AND THEN YOU HAVE TO TRY AND FIX AGAIN. MAY 20, 2017 INTUIT *TURBOTAX 800-446-8848 CA US Point of Sale ($101.63) all for nothing.

Never use TurboTax! This year I filed February 13th... it is now may 20th and my refund is just now updating! I called many times to the IRS and they said they were holding my refund but couldn't tell me why! Anyway, I call turbotax and they expected me to pay them the $143 for doing my taxes, I wanted this Payment taken out of the refund. After them hounding me for the fee I finally snapped. They didn't want to help me. They cared about their money, if this was H&R block they would see I would get my money. Turbotax... GREEDY!

I had been a happy user of TurboTax's online product until this year when it failed to transfer my previous year data and user info. When I called, after checking, they just "shrugged their shoulders" and offered no remedy, or compensation, even though this doubled my time preparing my return. When I tried to submit a formal complaint, I find there is no way to do so. The bottom line is having lived thru starting from scratch, I see little incentive to stay with them next year, so will try another service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

Intuit - TurboTax sent notification that my tax refund was processed and to expect the funds via direct deposit. After several business days with no direct deposit, I contacted TurboTax via email. It was conveyed by their customer service representative that the bank allegedly rejected the direct deposit. I have been a member of the this financial institution for approximately 20 years and the direct deposit information has remained unchanged. TurboTax then charged a reprocessing fee and claimed that the my refund was sent via US mail. This transaction is fraudulent and it was conducted with willful and deliberately intent to defraud me of the full amount that the IRS refunded. I advise further customers not to use their service in the future.

TurboTax worse than reading your entire phone bill, about 10 different fees added on. I did some research. Finally made the decision to go with the basic addition which listed at $39 which I purchased at Target for $29.99. After filling out everything $15 filing fee, ok does not go to TurboTax. Wait you're done with Federal Taxes. Oh now State, guess what, now you have to pay $44.99 to finish your taxes. OMG I just want this to be over with. Fine, stick me. Finish everything and ready to file, WAIT $15 audit defense fund. Gee wiz, ok got me again. Fine. Can we get this over with? Accept.

WAIT State filing fee of $24.99. Really are you kidding me. I'm already screwed. Ok accept. Finally. No WAIT. You now have to buy TurboTax Deluxe $39.99 before you can continue. I'm too pissed off to add up how much over $29.99 I paid to pay taxes!!! Please is there anyone out there going to do something against these criminals, JUST say upfront how much your service is!!! I don't even think I have any money left from my return after they took everything. Thought it would be faster and easier online. I may just go see H&R Block next year.

I used Turbo Tax for the first and last time. Turbo Tax advertised free tax preparation. NOT TRUE. I had to pay $78 because I have a health savings account (HSA). I owe the IRS under $200. The IRS wants to charge me $107 for setting up installment payments. I don't meet the guidelines for a reduction for the fee. Turbo Tax never mentioned that there would be an IRS fee for processing the installment payments. Not free and full of hidden fees. I feel like I'm be extorted and robbed.

Filed 2015 taxes late, thus shelled out around $30.00 to purchase TurboTax software on Amazon. The purchase price was to include completion and e-file of 2015 federal income tax, along with that of one state of my choice. I only make around $25,000 a year, and my deductions are pretty simple: EIC, Child Tax Credit, and a few work-related expenses. Really, I'm capable of doing the paperwork myself but it takes more time and patience than I can reasonably apply to the task.

Anyhow, after spending a couple hours inputting all the necessary information and having the program calculate federal tax along with tax for the State of Iowa, after all this, I was informed that I would have to pay a charge of $24.99 for state tax calculation. The program then put forth 4-5 pages of terms and conditions that are apparently different than those stated initially (each of which consisted of a bunch of convoluted legal jargon that I simply glanced over) and refused to proceed until I agreed to allow them to deduct $24.99 from my refund.

By this time my taxes were completed but I could not get the records nor file until I agreed to the deduction of the additional, unexpected fee. My refund was plenty enough to cover the expense and I really didn't want to have to start back at square one and recalculate taxes by hand. So, reluctantly, I agreed. Then I moved on to processing the e-filing. Once again the program refused to continue, now demanding yet another fee of $34.99 as well as agreement to another multi-page set of terms in order to proceed.

TurboTax software is not so great to begin with. To say the least it lacks clarity. And the "help" files are anything but helpful, in fact offering nothing at all would be more helpful. At least that would save me from wasting time closing and reopening the pop-up several more times, in disbelief, while attempting to grasp how any slightly reasonable person might come to consider a scant line or two of vague, non-information as being helpful. I had to search IRS website several times for very basic information, stuff I kinda knew but wanted to be absolutely certain about before proceeding.

Anyhow, by this time, all the unexpected fees and additional time spent stalled in frustration as well as glancing over pages upon pages of legal muck, by this time I just wanted it over with. 2015 was already a difficult year financially, due to medical illness and misdiagnosis that continued well into 2016 (thus the late filing). The refund would make it possible to catch up on some bills and was more than enough to cover the additional, unexpected costs.

So I told myself to get it over with, and that I'd get a hold of TurboTax later in the week and address matters regarding the wrongful fees. Down inside I suspected I was fooling myself, but the deadline for 2016 taxes was approaching and I don't have eons of free time to deal with this stuff. No doubt they were counting on that. So, against my better judgment, I went ahead and agreed to the terms along with an additional deduction from my refund of $34.99 for the e-filing. This brought the cost of processing 2015 taxes up from the reasonable price of $30, up to around the very absurd expense of $90. But wait, it gets worse.

For that price I could've paid to have a seasonal tax specialist handle it. Better yet, based upon my income bracket, although I was late in filing, still I probably could've had it handled for free. However, I bought the software at the end of 2015, well out of tax season, at which time freebie specialists weren't available; and I didn't realize four more months would pass before opportunity to use it would present itself.

Anyhow, I proceeded, and the program indicated all was well, right up until I was informed that the IRS rejected the e-filing! I was informed that I'd have to mail the paperwork, no reason nor address was given. Keep reading, it gets worse... way worse. So, in silent frustration I looked up the address and mailed the 2015 return, all the while wondering whether or how many times it might be kicked back. After that I moved on, like a fool, through TurboTax, preparing 2016 income taxes... like a fool, but not quite a full-fledged, gullible idiot.

Now, my 2015 refund was to be sizable, that is according to a broke person's perspective. Based upon 2014 income and refund, seemed to me 2015 should've been quite a bit larger. But then I thought, maybe, since I made a little more money, since I'd managed to inch above the poverty line, maybe that moved me into a different bracket or something. I should've looked into it.

Anyhow, I proceeded with 2016 taxes, whereas early on a refund of around $4900 was indicated, and then for no apparent reason it dropped to around $2000. Hmmm... By this time my faith in TurboTax had already morphed into distrust and resentment as I kept feeling need but lacked time for thorough scrutiny. 2016 was nearly complete when voice of intuition (or whatever else you want to call it) grew so loud and demanding that I couldn't continue. Instead, I went back to IRS website and decided to take a chance elsewhere, with another tax service, just for sake of comparison I told myself. I so wish I'd done that or found some other alternative before sending in 2015 taxes. I mean, 2015 isn't finalized yet, so I can't say at this point whether it would've turned out better, or worse, or different in any way. Chances are it wouldn't have been worse, to say the least. This time around I selected H&R Block's web-based tax service.

Whereas each of the last few years using TurboTax brought about a spike in frustration and to feeling as though I just wanted it over with, upon completion of 2016 taxes through H&R Block's free file I felt as though I hadn't suffered enough. In fact, I hadn't suffered at all. I processed federal income taxes along with two states, all without any attempts at squeezing me for additional money. H&R's Help files were actually very helpful, leaving no need to refer to IRS website. Best of all, I'm getting back over $4000, around $2000 more than TurboTax calculated. That's awesome!

Only one problem. I'm unable to e-file once again. I'm pretty sure this has something to do with the 2015 filing prepared via TurboTax, which was sent by mail just a few weeks ago. Could be it's just slow to be processed. Could be the evil, greedy TurboTax demons miscalculated? Or maybe they're attempting to squeeze that extra sixty bucks out of my return. (I mailed the returns alone, each without the extra ten or so page ** agreement, whereas I was pushed to pay more money than agreed upon initially, by purchasing and using the software.) Hard to know what the problem is at this point. However, I'm all but absolutely certain that in some way or another there's some kind of Turboturnabout going on.

Bottom line (excuse the pun), look at it like this, working through TurboTax is comforting as a lengthy bout of constipation, after which H&R is like the laxative that's desperately needed. One way or another you gotta get through the tax **. So, take your pick. You want it to be slow and ongoing, and leaving you to feel as if something other than a bowel movement is taking place? Or do you want it over with quickly, painlessly, and so you can get on with life? In all, if you want your taxes calculated fast, clearly, reasonably, and correctly, go to H&R Block free file. If, instead of having your taxes calculated, after reading all this, if you're looking to be TurboTaxed again and again, then by all means, you know where to go. Either way, best of luck, hope this helps.

I followed a link from my credit union for a free federal return. Bait and switch was I was charged $90 for the federal and $40 for the state. I tried calling to get it corrected as I did not select any premium packages. Turns out if you elect to have the fee taken from your refund, you don't get a choice. Well the IRS did not release the refund for some reason so now Intuit/TurboTax is going to debit my bank account for fees I did not agree to and for the fee for the deduction for return option that I am not even getting. This is bait and switch and fraud and someone needs to put a stop to it. I called customer service and they put me on hold and dropped the call then sent me an email saying the case is closed.

Let me start by saying my family and I have used TurboTax for the last six years and honestly never had a problem until this year. Sadly TurboTax isn't the actually problem but because of the company they choose to partner with such as Santa Barbara bank and NetSpend I will not ever be using them again. After all I can get the exact same lack of service and for free through other sites. So here is the gist.

The IRS sent my refund to the bank on April 12th and here we find ourselves at May 3rd with guess what. Still no money. It has taken me since weeks just to find out where my money actually was. Apparently TurboTax uses Santa Barbara bank to extract their ridiculous fees and then your money is sent to NetSpend which by the way no one at NetSpend thought to mention as they have been giving me the run around for weeks.

So as you can see I am frustrated. I don't know if it is because guess what. Santa Barbara bank claims they have live agents to speak with but they don't, kinda like our tax revenue service. Yes people our entire economic system is apparently ran by robots and people who do not actually know anything about the positions they hold. It sad really that I am on the verge of a complete mental breakdown all because systems that are supposed to be for our protection are being manipulated into ways to steal taxpayers' money.

I've used TurboTax for years. Unfortunately this year was my last. I also used TurboTax to file my friends and family members tax returns. This year was a disaster! They didn't deposit refunds into our accounts even after we paid for the service, we had to wait for a check to be sent out. Others have had the bank used by TurboTax. Santa Barbara Bank commit scams and steal money! Not to mention the way they try and trick you into paying extra fees. They have become greedy, and I will never use TurboTax again!

I've used TurboTax in previous years for my personal and business taxes. I'm trying this year to import my tax information from last year and it won't import. It's making me start all over! TurboTax offers NO help! I was told to try another browser and reset my cookies, then I was told too bad I have to manually add everything myself. This is NOT acceptable for me! I use this software for my business taxes and it has everything saved from last year including inventory amount at the end of last year, my invoices outstanding that I didn't collect last year... everything! And so manually entering everything would take forever and possibly may even cost me an audit by CRA since it will be tricky to manually add everything perfectly to the penny.

I called Turbotax twice and they were not helpful at all! I asked both times for a manager and no manager was available to help me, I also asked twice for technical assistance which I was told they don't have any or that it will take almost a week to get a callback! Wow, I'm shocked at how TurboTax took a huge nose-dive and went from being one of the best softwares to use, to being the worst one to use! I refuse to use a software that offers no management to talk to... that offers NO technical assistance! Look somewhere else for a software and DON'T rely on Turbotax because they have become incredibly unreliable! I've never been more disappointed in a company before. Don't trust your taxes to TurboTax! Go somewhere else because if you ever need technical assistance, you would be better off talking to a Grade 1 student! And this was after being on hold for over an hour. I will tell everyone I know to stay away from TurboTax.

Regarding TurboTax Standard 2016. We were not able to file because we needed to update the forms. But we were not able to update. After following the instructions repeatedly we were no further ahead. A call into their customer support line we were told by an automated response a 45 min wait and instructions for a call back. Further phone calls an hour later, NOTHING! Last phone call of the day - they are closed.

Day 2: Call in, 8 minute wait. I choose to hold until I talk to a live person from a call center in Indiana??? She leads me through all the stuff I did yesterday. Hmmm same response. After 45 minutes on the line, the call is dropped. ARGHH! She has me on a live chat app, and closes that too. Call back - a 15 minute wait talking to Gloria on the East Coast. Thank goodness she accepts that I've already done all the first stage remedies. She has to connect with her supervisors for further info. The info they give does not work. I ask them to email me at my personal email and not hubby's who is not available. They are not able or willing to do that. That took forever to resolve.

So the supervisor will call me back in an hour. That was an hour++ ago. No response. I ask what if the supervisor doesn't call me back in an hour? What are my options. There is no way to call into their website and their Canadian website's number is not working!!! Their track record for calling back hasn't been so good so far. Nope, no options but I can complain on their website. I've looked for that and can't find it. So here I am. I am not buying this product again, and I would not recommend it to anyone either! What a colossal waste of time.

I filed my income tax return with Turbo Tax, as I have done for the past 5 years. I compiled all relevant information and before filing I tried the "Optimize Pension Splitting" option. I got a response which I didn't find interesting, and given the options "Accept and continue" or "Continue" I chose the latter. Well, I actually DID get the pension splitting. I tried everything possible but couldn't undo. I called Turbo Tax and was talking to a lady for 90' who couldn't undo it either. She said I had to start all over again. BUT, they wouldn't refund my $62, I had to start again AND repay. I'll never use Turbo Tax again. I wasted one day and $62 of my life on a lousy software and a lousy company.

TurboTax charged me additional funds at the end of filing. That's not the bad part. They used my account info given to deposit my refund to charge me additional fees that I had only given them permission to subtract from my refund. Unfortunately I had to wait 48 hours to discuss this with a manager. I was given 21 days to call in with my payment. They not only withdrew the fee once but twice causing my account to be in the negative. I can say one good thing about this company. They are nice to you while stealing your money.

I filed with TurboTax this year and what a complete disaster. They said it would cost 78.25 for the package. I agreed and I have a print-out sheet saying this amount will be deducted. Come to find out they took a total of 114.00. Never again will I ever use them. And trying to talk to them was fruitless... All I can say is do not ever use them or Santa Barbara Bank, which they had been sitting on my money since the 18th, and was never notified. TurboTax did absolutely nothing to deserve 114.00 of my money. Beware of them and their hidden fees... company is crap.

My review/experience with TurboTax. Good: Price: For what it is I'd say the price is great. CPA: The idea that you have one at this price is awesome. Desktop: Having the program to save various scenarios is extremely valuable. I'd recommend it just for this reason. Furthermore this program has a lot of very nice features in it and has a lot of good referenceable information. So this is very much a good idea just to be able to play with your numbers, save, and make another new scenario.

Bad: Contacting: More often than not I can get through, they need my email on my profile that won't verify. Not sure why as my email hasn't changed, but without verification I can't get a support code, without support code the system often won't let me talk to anyone. Not sure why this is a problem, however this needs to be addressed.

Filing: Federal filed nicely and paid as it was supposed to. Whereas State Tax boot looped and took over an hour to figure out the right combination to get the form to submit. This is forgivable as it was addressed, and fixed. What didn't work was paying the IRS and then being told to give it time. The program never paid out. Verified that with the IRS resulting in a fine. Had I waited as told this would have been a bigger penalty and I doubt TurboTax will pay for my penalty.

Technical issue: Time lost (cost 5 hrs trying to fix program boot loop, being on hold). Charged twice: Charged twice for State Tax form. They tried to refund me but that did work out... I gave up and will likely hire a CPA this year just based on the hold time and inability to speak with the TurboTax CPA. Kind of makes that feature pointless when you can't get through and spend hours trying. Time-wise it's just better to get yourself a CPA. This would be one charge, little to no hold time, and you get everything you expect (or should). Conclusion: Having the program to work with is worth it, but for the amount of time I spent trying to finish things I could have easily just paid a CPA. So buying this program isn't a bad idea at all. But I wouldn't recommend actually relying on it for one's taxes.

I tried TurboTax several years ago when I had one simple W2. I filed free, spoke to an agent when I had a question and thought it was ok. So, when I had to wait until the last minute because I didn't receive several W2s, I decided to just use TurboTax since I already had an account with them. First, they keep trying to trick you into paying for upgrades with pop-ups and promises of live agents, etc. When I successfully navigated through to free version, I was looped around transportation expenses several times because they have incorrect wording. "Did you sell or stop using vehicle for business in 2016?" I didn't sell. But their software only gives follow-up questions for sale/depreciation.

I tried to just not bother to claim my expenses but my only options were: Start over. From scratch. Or pay $54.99+$35.99 for Deluxe, because vehicle sale required an additional form - I DID NOT SELL MY CAR! Since Deluxe included speaking to an agent and I didn't know if I could start over and not have the same or another glitch - I paid. Now try to find any possible way to contact that promised agent! No phone number - actually they give the IRS phone number only! And no chat option!!! Just looping endlessly through their ridiculous customer question forums! If I wanted Tax advice from another confused taxpayer - I have friends and family!!! I made $7000 all year! I live below poverty and TurboTax gets paid to screw up a return that I could have done alone!

TurboTax Premier 2016 will not allow me to file my state tax returns. When I get to the screen that states "Let's Complete Your Purchase Online" it freezes. None of the suggestions on the TurboTax.com site are of any help. In addition, I thought filing both the federal and state taxes were included in the cost of the Premier addition. Found out only the Federal filing is free. The state filing is $24.00. But even grudgingly accepting that I had to pay for filing the state return the program just freezes. Extremely frustrating and a waste of time. I see from my research TurboTax had the same issue last year.

WARNING!!! I signed up for TurboTax's "Federal Free Edition" and "State Additional $29.99" e-filing of my taxes. They Bait & Switched me at check-out/just prior to filing... with A WHOPPING $169.96 in charges!!! I was completely unable to alter/change these bogus add-on charges online, despite several hours of frantically trying to fix these overcharges & attempting to contact TurboTax company via message, email, phone, online contact, posting messages on TurboTax's online message board, etc. OUTRAGEOUS, premeditated, CRIMINAL THEFT for tax filing. DO NOT EVER USE TURBOTAX OR INTUIT SERVICES!!! DO NOT USE!!! WARNING!!

Also, Turbotax REQUESTED MY PERMISSION to send my personal info to their partner, "IDnotify", a part of EXPERIAN. IDnotify's parent company is "CSIDENTITY CORP", a company with EXTREMELY TERRIBLE CUSTOMER REVIEWS. I did NOT ask for, nor want TurboTax's Deluxe filing nor their "Max Benefit" filing. I sure as heck DO NOT want my personal information shared with EXPERIAN, IDnotify, CSIDENTIFY CORP, nor anywhere else on the internet!!! Do you??? I then read MANY, many similar TurboTax tax filing nightmare reviews on Consumer Affairs/internet & wish I'd never started filing with Intuit's TurboTax!!! HUGE RIP-OFF!! I will never use TurboTax again!! Do not use! Do not use! DO NOT USE TURBOTAX!!!

Somehow, TurboTax found a way to make my 1040-EZ incredibly difficult and painful. I will NEVER use TurboTax again and I recommend you don't either. They were slightly cheaper than the alternative, but ended up costing me time, and an extra $308.00 that they accidentally duped me into paying for NEXT year's POSSIBLE taxes that I MIGHT owe (by the end of next year). When I called to complain, the lady said she was sorry they messed up. Then a long awkward silence - didn't offer to refund the money I paid THEM to screw up my taxes.

Worst customer service ever, never filing my taxes here again. Called asking for help and they just kept transferring me to another person who doesn't know. Apparently no one knows what they're doing there. So stressful, now I know never to do it on TurboTax.

I have used this software to complete our returns for several years. You used to just pay the software fee and as long as you were filing electronically there were no additional costs. Now you pay for the software, you pay to file and you pay a "convenience fee" of 2.4% to use your credit card to pay the IRS (if you owe vs. receiving a refund). They also don't provide all of the schedules in your pdf anymore. Last year our return was approx 130 pages... this year it was 12 pages and 4 of those included estimated tax forms for this year to send with estimated tax payments should we choose to do so. This is unfortunate as we plan to have our taxes done by an accountant next year. We clearly didn't save any money doing it ourselves and I will be happy to not have the headache next year.

THE FEES! I was charged over $100 after all the service fees and upsales. In the end I wasn't even able to file. Hoping my bank will reverse the charges. TurboTax is gifted in the art of ripping people off. Avoid the headaches and fees, don't use TurboTax.

When I began with TurboTax almost 10 years ago, the product was simple, intuitive, and very useful. However, starting with the second year, it's been one problem after another. TurboTax has gotten manipulative and sneaky about how they validate their charges. In the beginning, no charge was made without you selecting to add a new version or charge. Now, charges are added willy nilly without your express consent. TurboTax is supposed to for non-accountant types and they are doing all they can to sneak by you with fees. When you request explanation, it's because "Well, you have this income, so you need this new form. This new form means an upgrade." That may make you money because people don't bother to look into it, but it's poor business if you want to keep customers.

This year was the worst for me. I was "upgraded" multiple times for no reason. I spoke with an "expert" 3 times and 2 out of 3 told me I didn't need the version I was being given while the third wasn't sure. In addition, while kind and they were less than helpful. They didn't seem to know much. I don't think I will be using this program again next year and I definitely will not be recommending it any longer.

The Federal "free" edition is only free if you don't itemize. If you don't itemize, why do you need Turbo Tax to figure your taxes? If you do the free edition, all your info is in their server, and servers can be hacked. Might as well just download the IRS forms and get out a pencil. If you do itemize, the cost is actually reasonable if you don't add the state tax return. You can download your state's forms and fill them in using the numbers from your Turbo Tax forms. And there's no need for the CD if you do your return online. Saves you lots of $$. And if you don't sign up for the help with an audit that you probably won't need you save more $$. If you sign up for audit help every year, after several years, you've paid for audit help you never got.

All the telephone help I've gotten has been (a) HELPFUL and (b) nice. Very nice people on the other end. A relief if you've been wrestling with the government's idea of logic. Most of the time filling in info and letting their computer do all the figuring is straightforward. But some of it is confusing. And their promise to get you the biggest refund -- they didn't ask me if I was qualified for an energy tax credit, which I am because I put in a new gas hot water heater last year. I accidentally found this out on my own in a last-ditch review where I clicked on everything.

Customer service: Here it is the day before the filing deadline. I have the right to file up to the deadline, no? And I pay Turbo Tax to figure my taxes and e-file for me. But I have a couple of questions that could get me almost $300 more in refund (it looks like TT made some mistakes) and I'm having to wait TWO HOURS for a callback. I'm sure Turbo Tax isn't going to go bankrupt if they hire ENOUGH PEOPLE to let everyone get a callback within 20 minutes. So for that part of their customer service, they suck, thus the Dissatisfied rating.

I am very dissatisfied with the Turbo Tax process. Preparing the forms was easy enough but then they add on fees to deduct their charges from your tax return. They make it impossible to just do the federal once the state return has been prepared. Even though they say you can delete the state return, I could not. Their payment process does not allow you to not pay an extra $40 for the state return either. I would NOT RECOMMEND TurboTax to anyone unless I hated them.

Bait and Switch. Just finished last minute tax filing. The process was fine. Just don't like that at the very end, we were charged an additional fee for filing. Total: $90. It's not about the cost. I feel tricked. I like to know what I'm paying upfront.

I've used TurboTax for many years with minimum to no problems. This year was a very different story. I've purchased the Deluxe package for several years because our taxes are complex. We have multiple sources of income, lots of charities, etc. and this year sold some securities due to buying a house, so I made sure that I spent a lot of time putting in data as I got the information from various sources, as in past years. On Friday morning, April 15, just as taxes are due, after weeks and many hours of work on our taxes, I got ready to file. As I access TurboTax, it updates automatically as usual, but this time it tells me that there's an error somewhere and therefore I cannot access anything that has been entered before. I have to start all over again.

To make matters even worse, as I try to enter any new information, it won't let me save anything, so if I walk away for a few minutes and shut the program down, whatever has been entered will be lost. I can only do temporary copies. Needless to say I spent the entire day, roughly 10 hours, working on my taxes nearly continuously until I could print them that evening. I had to print because as I tried to file electronically it told me, after gathering all of our security information and credit card information, that I had to do a save before it would file electronically. Obviously we are going to be looking for alternatives to TurboTax next year.

Expert Review

Melissa Hincha-OwnbyTax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.    More about Melissa→

TurboTax is one of Intuit's many financial services products. Intuit, which was founded in 1983, has kept TurboTax at the top of the tax software industry. In 2013, more than 26 million taxpayers across the nation used a TurboTax service.

• Portability: Intuit’s TurboTax software is available on a variety of platforms including web-based, local software installations and even a dedicated iPad app.
  • Expert advice: TurboTax customers can chat live with a tax expert at no extra charge.
  • Business support: A Business version is available for use by multi-member LLCs, partnerships, S corporations, C corporations, and estates and trusts.
  • Review: Intuit removed the option to have a return reviewed by a Certified Public Accountant, a benefit that set it apart from competitors.
  • Customer service: Contacting customer service by phone is challenging; the TurboTax website requires customers to use a web form to provide contact information and view online help before releasing a phone number.
  • Best for Sole Proprietors, Small Business Owners, Taxpayers with Special Situations

Compare Tax Software and Services