Intuit - TurboTax

Compare Tax Services

Research top Tax Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had a few questions pertaining to the TurboTax software and tried to contact the company via telephone. I made several phone calls yesterday and today 3/24/17 and received the same message every time, "We are closed at the moment, our hours are 8:00AM and 12:00PM Monday through Friday, please call back again". I was calling on a Thursday and Friday between 8 and 12 and always received this message. I even went on the internet and requested a "callback" which was made however when the robo-call said it was transferring to the tax experts I was asked to press 3 if I no longer needed help otherwise remain on the call. This happened 3 times and I was ultimately hung up on. TurboTax has no in person support via phone or chat and is lying when it says it is available. I will probably, after using this product since 2003, will never use TurboTax again.

In 2015, I filed my federal and state taxes with TurboTax online. I paid their fees, they were deducted from my bank account, but to find out that the IRS REJECTED MY RETURN FOR 2015. I have been trying to file my 2016 return with TurboTax where I was able to speak to a representative to find out WHY THAT FILE WAS BEING REJECTED. Was advised I would have to file a paper claim and discuss with federal IRS.

However, I discovered my 2015 federal return was REJECTED and I was not notified by TURBO TAX ONLINE to this! So I have gone a YEAR not knowing this was an issue, however this years are too being rejected and the ISSUE IS YOU CAN'T CONTACT THEM TO FIND OUT WHY I WAS CHARGED FOR FILING WHEN IT WAS REJECTED A YEAR AGO!!! They do not make it simple for anyone to contact them! You have to pay some fee to reach them even though their bogus product isn't working!!! I should not have been charged in 2015 for a file that was rejected!

I hate to divorce TurboTax, I've used them for more than a decade but they have become too clever by half. They removed the "Print Center" from the 2016 CD version. As a result, I cannot print a complete copy of my 2016 return with all worksheets and backups. Perhaps, I'll never need them but my experience is that hard copies of significant documents are valuable. I just spent two hours visiting three customer service reps. Two had no idea of what they were doing; the third was very helpful but finally gave up. She could not find a answer even after asking other people. I don't need the aggravation of a product which is continually upgraded until many valuable features are left out. Goodbye TurboTax!

My wife and I spent hours on Sunday filling out all are information to file our taxes via (TURBOTAX PREMIER). We hit send and 3 of the 4 files went through. My Net File for Quebec has an XML error. We called customer support not once, not twice but three times without any resolution. All 3 times we were on the phone for up to 3 hours with no resolution in sight. All said we would be escalated which never happened. No call backs. We were even disconnected after 2 1/2 hours.

Needless to say we are frustrated as know we must file the return by regular mail which delays our return check. We are requesting a refund as we were unable to completely file and many hours were lost. Despite the agent attempting to figure out what the problem was, it was obvious the agents are alone at home working remotely with no support other than the same searches we see available online. This was our first attempt to file our taxes ourselves via a software and end up paying and still waiting as ours had no choice but to send in the mail. We are very disappointed on the process and product. Computer glitch we understand, zero resolution we don't. Please refund our credit card the full amount as the product did not deliver as advertised.

Filed my taxes with Turbo for the last two years. This year they tried to make me file twice. Made no sense to me because my taxes had already been accepted by IRS and approved. I emailed Turbo over a month ago and got no response. So I won't use them next year. Felt like a scam to me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

I'm an 18 year user/buyer of TurboTax software and extremely unhappy with the software this year. There is absolutely NO way to print a copy of my tax return prior to filing it no matter how hard I try. After working at this for an hour I still come up short, and I am not about to file my returns without double checking them in hard copy. I am also unable to get any help online - all the responses lead to dead ends, and one cannot contact Intuit directly about this problem, either.

My husband is a software genius so I will have to wait for him to help me figure this out, but this situation has me so frustrated I've decided not to buy TurboTax again. I'm done. The print problem is the icing on the cake for me... The software used to be so flexible I could work my way through it without any problems, but that's changed also - I've had to struggle to review entries I've made in order to verify them. Unacceptable. Confusing software, no print option, crappy online Help service, NO corporate help site adds up to apathy on Intuit's part. I will take my business to their competitors and be very happy about it.

2 issues with TurboTax. First, the price for the deluxe edition changed during the week that I was filing. I did not file in one day (which I will no attempt to do from now on). It almost doubled in price, with very explanation and no notice from the company. Second, I was duped into connecting federal and state at the very end of the process. It was my fault for going too fast, but there was no way to go back. It cost $40!!! For something that would take 5 minutes. I called and the man I talked to did not sound concerned at all. Luckily, I can scrap everything and start over with a different company. Turbotax is sleazy.

My refunds were rejected although the status on Turbo Tax said my return was fine. When I called to see what the problem was the agent actually asked me if I knew where to check the info because she didn't. Also Kristin, the Supervisor in the Melbourne, Fla office kept telling me it was the IRS and I should call them. I did - and the answer was TURBO TAX had screwed up my return. NOT WORTH THE MONEY I SAVED - the IRS said TURBO TAX was setting me up for an audit the way they filed.

I have been a TurboTax user for over 10 years. My past experience has always been great. This year however is a different story. I prepared my taxes and e-filed. A few weeks later I discovered that I had made an HSA contribution myself (not thru payroll). I went back to amend my return. TurboTax recommends that you compare your submitted return to TurboTax file (which I found interesting since I figured they would be the same). But, when I did the state amount balance due was different. I called TurboTax support and the first rep told me that a previous update had made a change and that they would prepare and issue an update to correct the error within the next 2 days.

It has now been over a week. I have called them multiple times getting different responses and still the problem is not fixed. I can't amend my return since the state has a different submitted amount and approved return on file than what TurboTax on my computer now shows. If this does not get corrected. I also would have incorrect information to roll over for next year's filing. Although I have been a long time user of TurboTax this has caused me to reconsider and will probably not use them in the future. Tax Filers need to beware and always compare what TurboTax submitted to Federal and State and what after the fact is showing up in their saved file after multiple TurboTax updates.

This company is deceitful and their customer service is awful. Their software didn't even work to upload my prior Tax information, and while they made it seem as if I was being given an "option" to have the TurboTax charge taken out of my refund, they charged me $35.00 without making it clear. Then when you call "customer service" (who are not even helpful except to help TurboTax con people), all they do is take a lot of time explaining why they charged $111.00 dollars for something that should have basically been free. They have no intention of helping anyone or addressing reasonable complaints.

I will NEVER use this company again. If they are so confident in their services, they should make the total charges very clear, but instead they make it extremely vague and therefore, when you think you have only selected one package for one price, and they don't show you what the total charges will be, it's easy to hit "accept". I have no doubt Turbo Tax will lose a lot of money and a lot of good customers due to their scam approach. DO NOT USE THEM.

It happened twice. I was almost finished with my taxes and my computer froze. When I went back to TurboTax I had to start over. The second time it happened I asked Turbotax for help. It claimed that each section is saved before I go to the next section. NOT TRUE.

I purchased the TurboTax CD, installed it on my computer and began my returns. I was unable to file them because TurboTax said the 2016 forms were not finalized and an update would be sent when they were available. I received the update and installed it and have not been able to open TurboTax since. I've called customer service and spent hours on the phone while the rep Googled my issue, giving me ridiculous things to try and do to fix it. I was supposed to get a call back from a second line rep and never heard back. I called to follow up and my case was closed. I had to start all over, spend another 3 hours on the phone and get a new case number. Same exact thing. I'm guessing they don't have a fix for the issue and rather than be honest and deal with it (and offer me a refund), they just keep closing out my case. I guess they figure I'll eventually give up.

They win! I'm done! My time is worth more than the $60 it cost me. I will NEVER use them again and I highly recommend others don't either! I cannot tell you how much time I have wasted all because there is some sort of error with their update. Such horrible customer service and shady business practices. They should be shut down. I'm disgusted. I wish I would have seen these reviews before I purchased it.

I prepared my taxes a couple of weeks ago and it was free. I tried to use the same program to prepare a friend's taxes. This time it cost me 104.00 to prepare the taxes for my friend without the authorization to bill my card that amount. I tried to complain to the support number listed and spoke with an agent and she simply told me there was nothing they could do since the Federal had already been filed. She tell me that if I had called prior then I could had avoided all the extra. I found their prices to be misleading and was trying to avoid the high fees of having them be prepared by a CPA instead I got bamboozled by misleading fee and stuff illustrated on the site. I would definitely not recommend this product. No stars are deserved.

I will NEVER use them again, although I have used them for several years. Their crap Deluxe program this year did not allow me to go back and edit work I did the day before. I saved it, but the disc did not save it to an extent I could work more on it at another sitting. I had to redo another 6 hours and another return because their product could not do it!!! Then try and call customer support!! What a joke... It would be easier talking to someone overseas that did not speak English. TurboTax is not what it used to be and I hope they fix it or GO OUT OF BUSINESS.

Overall I must say the user interface for TurboTax is very user friendly and their quick-answers available on topics were very helpful. My issue is that they had a lot of hidden fees. I initially selected to use their deluxe package for $34.99, accepting this as the cost of removing the headache of figuring out tax documents on my own while still itemizing for maximum deductions.

When I got to the final stages for signing off on filing, their total fees were actually $107. They charged the $35 for deluxe filing for federal (what I had knowingly selected), $37 for deluxe filing for state (never shown, in fact it seems implied that it is included in the $34.99 initially advertised), and an additional $35 processing fee. Rather than give up $107 of my returns I switched to H&R Block, which didn't have quite as nice of a user interface, but was actually free for the same refund amount. I think it is very poor for a company like this to not disclose their full pricing up front before customers invest several hours of their time into filling out sensitive information in their program. Long story short - very disappointed in the hidden fees sprung on me at the end of filling everything in.

Serious error in 2016 Home & Business. Filling out CA State TurboTax never asked for the 540-ES quarterly estimated taxes paid during the year, which totaled over $2500. It showed CA Tax completed and ready to file, NO errors found, guaranteed. CA State Tax due according to TurboTax was $3280!!!! I was forced to switch to actual tax forms Line 72 to manually fill in my 540-ES. After that the final Tax due was $738 NOT $3280!! Avoiding overpaying $2542!!! I had emailed TurboTax asking for help how to enter the missing estimated taxes, but did not get a reply. How many customers will just believe the TurboTax total and pay the wrong amount????

For the last 10+ years, I’ve used TurboTax software to prepare my taxes. And not a SINGLE time in that time frame have I ever had a glitch with the software. This tax year (2016) was a complete disaster. Installing TurboTax from the CD was flawless. But the software hung up several times, took forever to download ‘updated’ tax forms, and finally just stopped working AFTER I completed my federal return. This is the first year I ran TurboTax on a Windows10, 64-bit machine. So maybe their software wasn't ready for prime time. Regardless, after numerous attempts to get the software working properly, I gave up and bought H & R Block’s Deluxe Tax Software. It ran great and my taxes are done.

I have two issues with TurboTax Deluxe 2016 user interface clarity. I would love to submit these issues to TurboTax but there is no mechanism to send them feedback. Note that generally I find TurboTax usable and it's way better than filing on paper. My major complaint is that there is no TurboTax-provided mechanism for customer feedback, so, I cannot report these issues to TurboTax. Both of these happen during what I think is called the interview. I am married filing jointly. My wife and I have three 1099-MISC documents. Two of them are identical except for the payee, because my wife and I both receive Alaska Permanent Fund Dividends. So the import from last year brought forward all three 1099s. Again two of them appear identical except for payee.

My first complaint is that I had a very hard time editing the top two (nearly identical) 1099s that were brought forward from last year. I could swear that when I edited the first I specified my wife as payee, and then, when I edited the second I specified myself as payee. But then when I went back to confirm I could swear that both the first and the second now said myself as payee.

So I think that the fact that these two 1099s were otherwise identical made them linked in some way so that even though the user interface showed that there were three distinct 1099s when I edited one of them it changed two of them. Anyway I eventually worked around the problem by adding to the "name" of the 1099 (which I think is the payer field) a parenthetical "(for wife)" and "(for self)" so that the two otherwise identical 1099s now didn't seem so identical. After this change I was able to edit the two 1099s and ensure that one had wife as payee while the other had self.

My second complaint is that I'm in a situation where I have three 1099s in my list and they were all imported from last year. But after I edit these I get the question: Did one of you get a 1099-MISC for a different reason? The answer is yes. Whichever 1099 I have just edited, there were indeed other 1099s for a different reason. But when I answer yes it creates a 4th 1099. So probably what the question meant to ask was "Did one of you get a 1099-MISC in addition to the three you have already reviewed?"

There is a major bug in TurboTax Deluxe 2016. It does not copy over the data from the Federal Forms to the California State forms correctly. My return passed all internal checks. I e-filed both my federal and CA state forms today. The federal return was accepted but the state form was rejected with the error Internal Reject. I called customer support for an explanation and they just had me retry to re-file my state form again. It was rejected, so the customer support said to print my state forms and the printout would tell me which forms I needed to mail in. But the entire state form was printed. The customer support did not have a clue what the problem was or how to solve it. This is a major bug in TurboTax Deluxe.

I had started my 2015 return to get caught up on my taxes in December 2016. I needed to add & change some things so I could file in January 2017. Couldn't access my return without paying for the "amend" pkg! Spent hours trying to do so & it didn't work. When I called them after several different days trying to get their program to work, I was told I had paid for 2015 & 2016! I'm just trying to make some corrections & be done. I don't want to use them for 2016 & was told they don't do refunds. So I've paid for nothing so far! Nothing! And spent hours! I'm going to look into suing them. This is outrageous! I had a lot of problems the past few years & wish I had learned my lesson last time. How can they get away with this?

I used TurboTax for last 4-5 years. This year also I started as usual. I had one W-2 form which I entered and minor income in 1099-misc. TurboTax asked me to upgrade as 1099-misc is not free with the basic product. I was not very sure if I want to use TurboTax at this time since H&R Block had it free. But as a thought I decided to talk to representative to see if they have something to offer. The representative took 50 minutes of my time in which he made me false promises like "Yes, sure! We will be more than happy to offer you very good discount here as you are our loyal customer and blah blah blah..." He kept me on hold while he talked to his senior staff.

After his discussion with senior (for over 18-20 min.) he was like "Hey, so let's go ahead... have you made the payment?" And I was like "No, I have not yet. What's the plan...?" He asked me to make the payment with my visa card and asked me to hold after that. After putting me on hold for another 15 minutes he said "Well, it seems like transaction is not completed yet and what we will do is, you call us after few days and we will definitely offer you good discount." He said, he has all the notes written down with the ticket and after few days I just to call and present case number and they will reimburse with VERY good discount. I again asked him as to why that is not possible and he assured me that the payment is not cleared yet and gave me assurance that they will definitely take care of it.

Now, after 10 days or so, I called them and explained what happened. The representative was like "No sir, you have used the product so unfortunately we do not have anything to offer..." I was like "What??" I explained him that it was 50 min. call and they should have told me upfront that discount was not possible and I would have walk out or made my decision to do it with TurboTax or something else. I told him to inspect the discussion between us using recorded call. But he had same answer "Sorry sir, we can not offer you anything as the product is used." I literally felt like cheated. You have one person who asked me to first make payment and then assured me for very good discount and now after payment is cleared and money is paid you are saying "No! We cannot offer you anything." I am NEVER going to use this product again.

After paying an excessive amount of money to file taxes & upload my stock information, I proceeded through all of TurboTax's questions & thought that I had finished the entire process. Days later, I received an email stating that my state & federal taxes were accepted. Weeks later, I received a check in the mail from a Civista Bank (Santa Barbara Products Group), who act as a third party for TurboTax. They stole around $150.00 from my refund, claiming that it was a processing fee. Apparently my bank had rejected my savings account number as my checking number was inputted instead.

Customer service was unhelpful & repeated the same line over & over again. I flipped on the lady once she said that I had signed a contract saying this was okay. No one called me to alert me there was an error. Pure LAZINESS. I am so sick of companies stealing money from me. Turbotax is in cahoots with this third party bank & is the cause of all of this. They collect interest off of your withheld tax refunds.

Turbo Tax Deluxe Online - Wanted an additional $37 to E-file state tax. Charged $18 transaction fee to pay with credit card. Wants you to buy unneeded add ons. Have bought and used the software version for years but will never use it again.

I have used TurboTax since 2004, but this was my last year with it. They have partnered with Santa Barbara Bank & Trust (Tax Preparer's Group - TPG), to have electronic filing fees deducted from tax refund checks. However, TPG has been defrauding TurboTax customers like me, by hold onto the refund money, under the guise of protecting identity theft, in order to earn interest on the float. TurboTax won't tell you this until after your IRS refund check has been sent to TPG, and you call Intuit customer support to find out why your bank hasn't received the direct deposit. Then, they send you to TPG to try to get your money, by sending identity verification information, which they will claim to have never received. You will be lucky to ever get your money without taking them to court. TurboTax does not claim any responsibility for TPG's deceptive and fraudulent practices.

I manage suppliers for my company, and if my customer is having problems resulting from my supplier - I take full responsibility for the supplier's actions, and resolve the situation on my customer's behalf. That's how business ethics are supposed to work, but TurboTax believes otherwise ("Sorry - it's not our fault"). It makes me assume TurboTax and TPG are working in concert to steal money from their customers. Well, I can at least ensure TurboTax will never get another penny of my money. Unfortunately, there's another sucker born every minute, so I'm sure they'll be just fine.

I've never been so disappointed with TurboTax. As a client of two years this would be the last time I do my taxes with them. I filed my taxes on Wednesday of last week. I found one of my tax returns from school that I didn't add. The first customer service agent for turbo tax was extremely helpful and help me correct it and print out the tax admin papers to send to the IRS. She told me to sign it and send it right away. Later in the afternoon I called again just to make sure I was going through the right steps. I've never came by such rude customer service. The first agent I spoke to, spoke to me like I was stupid. She told me that you don't send it right away because normally people don't file early admin only from 2014-2015. So I called again to verify this because the lady who helped me early that morning said to send it right away.

Second lady much worse. She barely spoke English, and kept saying, "WE don't HELP with review!" I said, "I'm not asking for a review I'm asking for a simple question regarding tax admin paperwork." She kept on saying even louder, "WE DON'T HELP WITH REVIEW. You need to pay extra online to do that." FIRST OF ALL. I paid the Deluxe package to get this kind of service? I asked the lady, "What's your name??" She's like, "What do you need help with?" I ask again, "Mam what's your name I'm sorry." She's like, "Ana!" I'm like, "Ana what's your last name?" She wouldn't give it to me. Paused a couple of times for a long time and said, "What do you need help with" over and over. "Ana I'm asking for your last name so I can be transferred to your upper management and tell them how unhelpful and rude you're being" and she hung up on me.

I believe this agent forgot I got emails sent to me with customer reviews. This call happened at 1:34 pm her name ended up being Cheryl **. I work in client care and make about 140 calls a day and never do I ever treat customers like this. I hope this lady learns how to treat clients. NEVER AGAIN COMING BACK.

TurboTax never updates its software. Every year when I try to do my taxes with TurboTax it's the same problems. This afternoon was the final straw. I have done my taxes every year for probably 10 or 12 years and this is the last year. I worked for over an hour, entered a whole bunch of info and set my laptop down to get a drink of water, went back and lo and behold, it had flipped out of the site and I went to get back into it and it had not saved!! I can't imagine that it doesn't save on its own? My fault for not saving every 5 minutes?

Then, if I try to get into a specific area that I want to look at again, I have to start at the beginning of that area and go through the whole dang thing again? I can't just go to a certain entry? I've never tried the online version, but it's more expensive than the Costco disk, and WHY in this day and age don't they have one on a thumb drive? My computer does not have a disk drive and I had to go through all kinds of contortions to get the program to my computer from my husband's through his disk drive. I read later, in little tiny print on the "sheet" that comes with the disk that you can call a number and get a download or something for diskless computers. Anyway, I need a simpler program, one that actually comes with some instructions.

I have been using TurboTax for the past four years with no problem but 2016 taxes TurboTax software messed up sending my taxes efile to the IRS. They said when I got audited that not all my w-2's went through. Not only did I pay TurboTax I had to spend more time and money to go almost 50 miles just to fix my taxes with the IRS. And wait an extra three weeks for my taxes. What a nightmare???

They won't deposit refund from their bank to mine!! They've had our refund in their Santa Barbara bank since February 15! Called, finally after 2 hours got someone. They said something about possible fraud. We sent a front and back picture of driver's license a week ago like they told us to and still nothing!! I'm really worried we won't ever get it from their bank account! We don't know what to do!

Basically, TurboTax wants every bit of change to charge you. There are so many way that you could just end up in a page saying that you have to "upgrade" to continue, otherwise you have to wipe out and start again. I filed my tax literally FIVE TIMES, and at the very last, TurboTax still tells me that I HAVE TO upgrade to the deluxe to really file my tax. FINE, TAKE that 40 bucks you desired then. Oh wait, it is not just 40 bucks for the deluxe. They never tell you that you have to pay for another 40 bucks for your state tax filing, even though it has nothing to do with the reason they told you why you need a "deluxe" plan.

By then, I have already spent 3 hours in front of my computer. SO BASICALLY I spent 80 bucks plus 3 hours to get this ** done. The whole process was just disgusting. It is really my fault to try to do it cheap at the very beginning. I would rather pay 50 bucks to my friend who can do it in half an hour, single-handed. I will recommend anyone who want a terrible experience to try out TurboTax. Don't want to hear the word TAX or TURBO anymore in the rest of 2017.

Did my Taxes with INTUIT TURBOTAX. Had my fees deducted from my refund for processing fees. IRS deposits my Federal Return on 2/15/17. Called TurboTax no such Deposit made from IRS to my Chase Bank Account as Filed on my 1040A. T-Tax says Call Santa Barbara Bank? Through TurboTax they have rerouted my Federal Tax Return to this 3rd Party Bank. Contacting Santa Barbara Bank automatically puts a Fraud Alert on my refund? They requested a copy of a passport in order to release the funds to my Chase account as it should of. Nowhere stated that this bank would take control of my funds only because I asked to have TurboTax fees taken from my federal. TurboTax and Santa Barbara Bank are laundering taxpayers money. I don't understand how IRS is being used as a pawn in this FRAUD scheme and how this is allowed to happen. I did my taxes using my checking and routing number to my account not Santa Barbara's.

No one should be holding my funds except IRS. I will never use INTUIT TURBOTAX ever again. And unknowing of their silent 3rd party affiliate Santa Barbara Bank. Santa Barbara Bank representatives were spoken to 2 times at (877-908-7228) and they refuse to let you speak with a controller or supervisor. They have possession of my funds since 2/15 and made no effort to explain why my funds are on hold. I assume this bank is collecting interest on my funds?

I live in NY. My funds are locked up in this Bank in California because of TurboTax fees totaling $76. These 2 parties are crooked and misleading the public to rip your money off... As of date Santa Barbara Bank still holds my Federal Tax Return for 17 days and counting. (2) passport uploads and still no release of my Funds. No assistance. This should be investigated by FBI and my story is the same as others on the Net... Crooked!!!

Expert Review

Melissa Hincha-OwnbyTax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.    More about Melissa→

TurboTax is one of Intuit's many financial services products. Intuit, which was founded in 1983, has kept TurboTax at the top of the tax software industry. In 2013, more than 26 million taxpayers across the nation used a TurboTax service.

• Portability: Intuit’s TurboTax software is available on a variety of platforms including web-based, local software installations and even a dedicated iPad app.
  • Expert advice: TurboTax customers can chat live with a tax expert at no extra charge.
  • Business support: A Business version is available for use by multi-member LLCs, partnerships, S corporations, C corporations, and estates and trusts.
  • Review: Intuit removed the option to have a return reviewed by a Certified Public Accountant, a benefit that set it apart from competitors.
  • Customer service: Contacting customer service by phone is challenging; the TurboTax website requires customers to use a web form to provide contact information and view online help before releasing a phone number.
  • Best for Sole Proprietors, Small Business Owners, Taxpayers with Special Situations

Compare Tax Software and Services