1.58/5

2738 Intuit - TurboTax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 23, 2019

I have used Turbo Tax to process my taxes since I had my first part time job at 15; I am now 32. Over time my taxes have become more complex and I have continued to rely on Intuit services. This year I received a notice that taxes in my state were calculated incorrectly and I needed to file an amendment: NOW I OWE MONEY BACK! I know that this is money that I shouldn’t have received back so I understand paying it. But it now leaves my family in an unexpected bill, when our refund was already smaller than usual with the new tax laws. I will use an accountant going forward.

Original review: March 22, 2019

They had sent me a check out and I never received the check that they said that their bank had sent out and their bank has took me through a lot just to get my check replaced. I will not ever use TurboTax again.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
Original review: March 22, 2019

What I have to say is more or less what everyone else has already stated. After a lengthy filing period, there is a paywall before you file, forcing you to upgrade in order for the tax filings to be sent out. If your taxes are simple - do them yourself. Don't waste your time with TurboTax, their support center (which you also have to pay for), or their upgrade. Yes, TurboTax, I am upgrading, and filing my taxes somewhere else. Boom. Roasted.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I have used TurboTax for at least 25 years. This year sometime happened that I cannot understand why it happened. My husband and I have Obama Care or the ACA. I marked the box that we had health insurance and input my 1095-S form from the Health Insurance Marketplace. Form 8962 was generated. I updated the return just before efiling my 2018 return.

My husband and I are retired and I am a retired bookkeeper that has worked in CPA offices for 30 years helping with tax preparation. I filed our return early on February 6, 2019. The IRS notice arrived 6 weeks later an stated that my 8962 form was not included in my return. I review my 2018 return and the box regarding health insurance was changed to NO and my 8962 had not been included in my return. TurboTax auto fills the health insurance question with NO health insurance. So basically my $726 refund is on hold and I had to amend my state tax return also. We are retired and need our refund so now we wait to see what happens.

Original review: March 22, 2019

On March 18th, 2019 my TurboTax prepaid card was hacked and used in Southfield, Michigan. $340.00 was withdrawn from my account without my knowledge or consent, and my card was also used at McDonald's. I filed a dispute by emailing them my information to the greendotcorp.com and have yet to receive any feedback. The reps were rude and not helpful at all it's like I won't be getting my money back. I will NEVER EVER use TurboTax prepaid card again and I would not recommend anyone use this card next year. I'm very upset at the service. I should have been received my money back by now. I have kids to feed and bills to pay. This is the worst!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

Original review: March 22, 2019

On 2/28/19 I decided to file my tax return with TurboTax. Big mistake! Immediately they told me it was free then when I filled out all my information and was ready to click on submit they told me I can’t complete my return until I sign up for TurboTax Deluxe which is 39.99 and not to worry because I can take it out my tax return so I proceeded. My problems did not end there. I then submitted my tax return and they told me I was due for a federal return of 711 but will only get 655$ because they need to take out the 56 state that they claim I owe NYS. I then read the fine line lab and they said they are charging me 127$ so I call customer service and spoke with Jessica ** case # ** who said I will not be charged the 127 that she will make sure I only get charged the 39.99 for the Deluxe package however I had to wait until I received my taxes in order for them to refund me. I said fine.

On 3/16/19 I finally received my return and only got 585?? 711-585 is 127$ so I called customer service and was told tutu charged me 127 because that included TurboTax fees, federal fees plus my 56$ that they claim I owe NYS. I said that does not sound right because when I filed on 2/27/19 they asked me when should the state deduct their 56$ and I said on 3/22/19 so why would they take it out on 3/16/19? But the representative said she does not know and PROMISED ME I WOULD NOT HAVE ANY MORE MONEY TAKEN OUT. Case # **.

I wake up today on 3/22/19 with another 56$ taken out my checking account so I called customer again and after 1 hour still nothing. I asked them why would they take out another 56$ if they claimed it was included in the 127$ they took from me causing me to get only 585 federal return? They said they don’t know so I asked for a supervisor who then gave me the runaround insisting they don’t owe me any money. I said if I was due for 711 federal and only received 584 that’s an 127$ difference plus 56$ for 3/22/19. I did not sign up for 183 deductions. Are they still high of ** & **?

So period point blank they are not trying to give me my money back so I put in a lawsuit just because and got my bank Chase after NYS for my 56$. Should NYS ask me why I took back the money I will refer them to TurboTax who claims they paid them already! DO NOT USE TURBOTAX. They are liars and will make promises and even give you multiple case numbers that don't mean squat when you call them. Disgusting.

Original review: March 21, 2019

It cost me $39.99 for the State and $89.99 for the Federal filings. But hidden was $44.99 called premium service required if you are filing in California and/or if you wanted your fees deducted from the refund. I called and was runaround multiple times over this and told to call Santa Barbara Bank and Trust about the situation. Santa Barbara Bank told me to call TurboTax! I was told in order to have fees taken from my refund you MUST take the premium service and/or audit service. This was not explained when I made the selection to pay now or from my refund.

It gets worse! I am now eating $174.00 to file my taxes and then get email from TurboTax stating I must now pay them directly for the $174.00 since my returns have not been processed and Santa Barbara Bank and Trust have not received the refund yet. They are going to debit my bank account as they have the bank account info to include routing number from my tax return. I called the bank and put a stop on any attempts ($30.00 to do this) to take these fees as they should be coming from the refund when it is processed. I would have no way of knowing I won't get hit twice for $174.00. What slowed my filing was the 1095A form for healthcare that TurboTax did not send with the electronic filing. What a mess!

Original review: March 21, 2019

When filing my taxes for some reason; the zip code wasn't put correctly. I was first asked to send a copy of my ID which I did. Then I call again and now they asked for a recent bill. I don't have any bill, so therefore now they telling me that they will keep my money. I now have lost my money.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I filed my Oregon tax returns on January 24, 2019 after receiving all my documentation from employers and such. Today, March 20, 2019 at 5am I wake up to an e-mail from Turbo stating the following: “Because of an error in a TurboTax calculation, you may have underpaid your taxes. If you used TurboTax to file your 2018 Oregon state tax return prior to February 1, 2019, you may have overstated the Itemized Deductions, leading to an underpayment of tax...” So I immediately go in and now I owe $1,053 to the state because I decided to do my taxes early and turbo tax was having calculation issues. I had also filed through the Deluxe version which was over $80. I would’ve been better off going to a different tax service and paid the same amount and not have had to get hit with a $1,053 bill that Turbo is suggesting I pay by April 15, 2019 because it’s not like I have tuition and other expenses to pay for too.

I called and the first lady I talked to had no idea what she was doing. She asked me if I filed taxes and I said yes, mentioned the email she was confused I hung up. Called again, different lady was guiding me through the desktop and I went through the amend process online about 5x and one time it said I owed $0. We did the process once again to double check (changing NOTHING) got $1,053 due again. I nor the representative were able to figure out where exactly and exactly how much the miscalculation was but she said “since it is a miscalculation on TurboTax’s end, TurboTax will take care of the $1,053” then 10 minutes later she said “All I can do is refund what you paid TurboTax for filing.” Then the call disconnected and she disconnected online so here I am.

Never will I EVER use TurboTax again. Rather pay $100+ and go to someone and get what I was supposed to get than get my taxes deposited into my bank account than 1.5 months later get told I have 3 weeks to pay $1,053 before I start getting charged penalties and interest. To clarify, this was a TurboTax system miscalculation that they have admitted to. Nothing I incorrectly entered on my end.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I have been using TurboTax for over 10 years to file my return and those of my two grown children. This year we filed my son's return in January. No problem. In

February I attempted to file my return but got this message, "Your Illinois return is currently unavailable to view, print or download because some of the forms haven't been finalized." After waiting a few weeks I decided to contact Customer Support. I spent about two hours on three phone calls and she finally sent me a link to a download.

I downloaded and installed the fix and restarted TurboTax. Now I see a screen telling me I have to pay another $47.80 to download my Illinois form. I paid the ransom and suddenly the Illinois form appeared. TurboTax should have presented a screen saying, "THIS IS A HOLDUP - SEND MONEY IF YOU WANT TO COMPLETE YOUR TAX RETURN." I spent hours of my time plus the time on the phone with the Customer Support person. What a way to run a company! I will find an alternate way to file our tax returns next year.

Original review: March 20, 2019

After I finished filling out all the necessary information, I then learned I would have to pay a fee of $39.00 for my payment of $59.99 to be taken out of my $231 refund with my net refund being $132. I will not pay this fee of $39 because it was not disclosed before filling out all the information especially when I have a tax consultant who will charge me $50 with no hidden fees. I will never use TurboTax again. Beware of the $39 fee taken from your refund plus other fees.

Original review: March 20, 2019

TT should be taken out of stores. It gave me a house tax credit that I should not have got. It gave me $400 income credit that I should not of got... It just did not look right. I was getting way too much back. So I took my paperwork to a tax place and for $75 dollars they made it right and took only 20 min. Glad I did not send in TurboTax. I took TT back to Target and they gave me a refund. Never again will I use TT. Use it if you want a letter from the IRS.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I used TurboTax for the second time this year. When I go into my 2017 tax return, the home page summarizes my refunds from Federal and State. Perfect, However, when I go into my actual documents, all the numbers are different and it indicates I owe $7000 on Federal!!! After doing a lot of research, I found a bogus 1099-R for a $40,000 distribution that never happened.

The bogus 1099-R for $40,000 that mysteriously appeared had a federal ID number but only ** for the Payer with no address. I had about a 1 ½ hour conversation with someone at TurboTax to try to understand why my 2017 tax documents changed in TurboTax after I filed. Once you file, you cannot go into the system and change anything.

When I go into TurboTax and look at previous year taxes, the federal and state refund dollar amounts are correct. However, if you go into the actual tax return documents, they are totally different. There is a 1099-R document that indicates I had a $40,000 distribution and it caused all of the numbers in the tax return to change. It now indicates that I owe over $7000 when I actually got a federal tax return refund of $3505. That change put me in a different tax bracket and also caused a huge tax change social security tax obligation.

I filed my taxes through TurboTax. They got the correct documents and I received the correct refund. My goal was to determine how that 1099-R appeared in my tax documents after-the-fact – totally changing what I originally filed through TurboTax. The person I talk to said that I should file an amendment. I asked why I would do that when the IRS /State received the correct tax documentation and the mistake is within TurboTax, not with the government. If I filed an amendment, I figured they would get confused.

The TurboTax representative was never able to give me an answer. I wanted him to send this issue to a boss, a fraud dept. –someone who could determine why this happen. That never did. I have copies of my correct 2017 tax return. I have copies of the bogus 2017 tax return that appeared in TurboTax sometime during 2018. The issue was closed out without my getting a satisfactory answer. The advice was that I should call the IRS to try to find out the company that owns federal ID text number ** – the federal ID that was on the 1099-R that mysteriously appeared and threw off my entire 2017 tax numbers.

The gentleman I talked to was trying to be very helpful and I appreciate all the time that he took in investigating and understanding what happened. I think he is as confused as I am as to how this could have happened. We checked the computer activity and there was nothing suspicious. I told him that even if somebody had gotten into my account, it was my understanding that none of my numbers could be changed after I filed electronically through TurboTax. So technically, this should not have happened. It would be nice to solve the mystery. I am concerned about the security of TurboTax. I am concerned with their unwillingness to investigate. I will never use them again.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Been using TurboTax for many years and love it. It is exceptionally thorough and that is GOOD. Never ever had an issue from IRS on my returns. It has so many wonderful features that help ensure you don't miss anything.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I, like many others here, have used TurboTax for years. This year I figured it would be like the others, charged minimal for federal and state is usually free. This year, I was charged $60 for federal, $40 for state, AND they then wanted to charge $40 **JUST TO TAKE THE MONEY DIRECTLY FROM YOUR REFUND**, HOWEVER there is no warning to this hidden fee until you're about to click "pay". TurboTax has become a nickel and dime corporation, and makes a profit by scamming people through false advertising and hidden fees.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I’m a long time customer and was tricked into thinking I was getting a free filing. But I was charged double what the software costs at Sam’s Club and was not told until the end of a 2 1/2 hour filing process. I called, basically told I could opt out, but all the provided information would be lost.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I used the free version but I have friends used the pay version and they say it's great! Worth the money! I have been with TurboTax for 8 yrs now and have always been pleased with their software and ease of use! Keep up the good work TurboTax!

Original review: March 18, 2019

After entering all our incomes and mortgage interest payment the due Federal and State taxes looked pretty much OK. Few day later due amounts looked same as before until I started to enter some more deductions (state car taxes, etc.); there was a message the $10,000 limit deduction for state taxes was reached and some deductions will not apply. But the HUGE SURPRISE was seeing the due taxes skyrocketing by $20,000 Federal and $3,500 State.

The software does not allow to reverse such changes either by not saving or by using some "undo" feature. Next day, I tried to remove the deductions - no real change. Then I went the drastic way by removing all incomes - guess what TurboTax was showing with ZERO income! $11,600 due Federal and $1,360 due for State. THIS IS WHAT YOU BETTER CALL GARBAGE PROGRAM!!!

Original review: March 18, 2019

I have filed with TurboTax for several years now and I've always qualified for the free service. I realize that people should not expect services for free forever, so I'm willing to pay a little for a great convenience. Having said that, this year was like being nickel and dimed at the circus. Nothing has changed about our lifestyle/circumstances. We are in the same home as the last 6 years, no children at home, wages and SS income are about the same, from the same employers, and I get a tax credit from the Healthcare Marketplace as I have for the last 3 years. Nothing has changed. Except as I entered our income information, it wasn't clear where my husband's SS income should be entered.

I finally figured it out but it was as if I was going to enter another W2 for myself. After that, when I entered the information on the Healthcare tax credit form 1095, it told me I had to upgrade to Deluxe. From free for both my federal and state taxes, I was now going to be charged $59.99 for the federal return and also $39.99 for the state return. No happy medium, eh? From zero to $100 all because I have a 1095 form! I confirmed this with an assistant on the TurboTax Facebook messenger. Because I complained, I was given a courtesy "service code" for a $20 discount. I do appreciate that. I also went through my USAA website and got another $10 off.

Oh, but that wasn't true because looking at TurboTax's pricing page, they already have a $10 discount (from the $59.99) so I don't think I got my USAA discount. At any rate, I paid $69.99 for both basic tax returns that have been free for years. Oh, one more issue. I was unable to have the fees deducted from my federal return. It just didn't appear as an option on the page. Apparently, there's a whole list of things that will force you to pay by credit/debit card. One of those things is if there are any pending tax laws that haven't gone through yet, which could change your refund, they won't let you pay from your refund. There is something regarding the mortgage interest deduction that is pending, so that stopped me from being able to pay out of my refund. Never mind that I took the standard deduction and it will not make any difference once it's settled. So I paid by debit card.

I guess I should be glad, because they are now charging a $40 transaction fee (because they've contracted with an outside financial institution to withdraw the money for TurboTax fees) before you get your money direct deposited. Like I said, Highway Robbery! It costs pennies for these types of transactions at the most, but of course, they can get away with charging $40 for a split second of automatic computations on a giant computer. Gee, thanks TurboTax. I've enjoyed the convenience while it lasted but next year I'm changing companies.

Original review: March 18, 2019

For the past several years I found it impossible to load TurboTax into my windows based computer. It simply would not load. Had to contact TurboTax and get it to authorized a download of its program into my computer.

Original review: March 18, 2019

TurboTax walks you through the process, step-by-step. It’s so easy to use. If you have questions, you can ask the community, or a TurboTax agent. They are very responsive. I highly recommend TurboTax!

Original review: March 17, 2019

I used a new email address this year to file, and now my return has been put on freeze for 48 hours - the max they can hold it under IRS law. In the security email, it provides a phone number to call to "let them know" it's really me, but when I call, I am greeted by an punchable-sounding robot voice explaining my return has been put on hold because I used a different email. Okay, now why would you send me an email telling me to call a number that will tell me the same thing as the email??? The cheerful robot then tells me "no further action is needed." Does this mean my return has been unfrozen?? Will it be filed?? Who knows?? I guess I'll have to wait and see, because I can't actually talk to anyone about this without paying $30. That's some textbook extortion right there. Not impressed.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Up until the last step of the process, I was very pleased with TurboTax. It is quick and easy to use. I get to the LAST step, after a good hour and a half, and I get a message saying I must upgrade to Deluxe. It waited until the last possible step to tell me this, probably to push people towards paying the fee after all the time they spent entering information. It is not as "free" as it would lead you to believe, and I consider their methods predatory. Would not recommend.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I clicked on a link on my bank's website that was supposed to get me free TurboTax online ($80) discount. It took me to TurboTax, after I completed and filed my taxes I saw they had applied a $15 discount. When I finally managed to get in touch with customer no service, they informed me they do not give refunds. How stupid are they, I wasn’t asking for a refund, I was asking for the discount I was promised when I started the process. Too bad they have decided to steal money from unsuspecting users and have truly lost sight of what customer service is and taking ownership of a problem they caused. Certainly won't use them next year!!! Just hope I don’t have to listen to their obnoxious Free Free Free Free Free ad next year. Epic fail Intuit/TurboTax.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Their system doesn’t work for MC users. Hours and hours with tech support. WARNING. DO NOT USE TURBOTAX. It’s an inferior product and its staff is filled with inept uneducated people. STAY AWAY. Nasty people — it’s been a nightmare. My amended return was printed on the WRONG FORMS.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I filed my taxes through TurboTax and I have not received a refund yet and they don't know anything about it...very unprofessional. That is my money. I should have gotten my return by now. I don't think they did it properly.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I have used TurboTax on and off for several years. I now make use of the FREE edition since I am retired and have very few deductions. They also include e-filing with both the Federal and State return.

Original review: March 17, 2019

TurboTax Customer service is the BEST there is!! Always nice and helpful. Love the video calls they offer to everyone! I will stay with Turbotax! I'm a 5 yr customer already. Their programs are easy to use!

Original review: March 17, 2019

TurboTax can easily be done online for free. They take care of filing for me and said I could expect my return within ONE month. If I had a choice between paying TurboTax and using another tax service for free, I would still choose TurboTax.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I just signed-up with TurboTax online yesterday to take care of my taxes...the whole reason for filing w/ TurboTax was because their commercials made them seem fool-proof and they were supposed to be quicker & cheaper than going in to H&R Block AND I could eFile which would get my returns quicker. THEY COST THE SAME as going to H&R Block in person AND they weren’t able to eFile for me because their system wasn’t accepting a number from my W2s at which point they directed me to the IRS “to push it thru” who told me they don’t do that, that it was TurboTax that needed to solve that issue. They weren’t able to solve my issue after being on the ph. for 2 hrs...TWO-HOURS! At which point they informed me I’m now going to have to MAIL-IN my papers and am still being charged $299 because they FILLED OUT MY FORMS!!! Aahhhh!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!

Intuit expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

TurboTax is one of Intuit's many financial services products. Intuit, which was founded in 1983, has kept TurboTax at the top of the tax software industry. In 2013, more than 26 million taxpayers across the nation used a TurboTax service.

• Portability: Intuit’s TurboTax software is available on a variety of platforms including web-based, local software installations and even a dedicated iPad app.

• Expert advice: TurboTax customers can chat live with a tax expert at no extra charge.

• Business support: A Business version is available for use by multi-member LLCs, partnerships, S corporations, C corporations, and estates and trusts.

• Review: Intuit removed the option to have a return reviewed by a Certified Public Accountant, a benefit that set it apart from competitors.

• Customer service: Contacting customer service by phone is challenging; the TurboTax website requires customers to use a web form to provide contact information and view online help before releasing a phone number.

• Best for: Sole Proprietors, Small Business Owners, Taxpayers with Special Situations

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

Intuit - TurboTax Company Information