Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.67/5

TurboTax is a user-friendly tax preparation software program. TurboTax walks you through your state and federal taxes with clear prompts, letting you pay, file and receive returns immediately. TurboTax subtracts its fees from your federal refund with your permission. TurboTax also guarantees to cover any IRS or state debt resulting from a calculation error.

BOTTOM LINE

TurboTax is an online tax prep and filing software with plans for every tax bracket. It has a 100% accuracy guarantee and promises to help you get the fastest refund possible.

PROS

• Does all the math for you
  • Spanish-speaking services available
  • Tax services for every situation

CONS

• Misuse may create incorrect returns

Top Intuit - TurboTax Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - TurboTax?

Been using TurboTax for many years and love it. It is exceptionally thorough and that is GOOD. Never ever had an issue from IRS on my returns. It has so many wonderful features that help ensure you don't miss anything.

Well developed software app by reputable Quicken leads me to trust the tax legality & app reliability. ... I was able to file with confidence that my return was correct. Price is very reasonable compared to hiring a tax firm.

How does TurboTax work?

TurboTax coaches you through filing taxes step by step and makes the process simple by centering the process on your lifestyle, not your taxes. Instead of asking about your tax bracket, TurboTax asks about your:

• Job(s)
  • Income
  • Homeowner status
  • Children and dependents
  • Charitable donations

From this information, TurboTax determines what tax bracket you fall in and what forms you need to complete. By filing your returns electronically, TurboTax gets you the fastest refund possible.

TurboTax does all of the math required for your tax forms and guarantees 100% accuracy. Before transmitting your returns, the company uses its CompleteCheck software to run a comprehensive review so nothing gets missed. Once you submit your taxes, TurboTax sends an email confirmation, and you can keep up with filing and tax return progress on the TurboTax app.

TurboTax resources

TurboTax gives taxpayers access to plenty of tax tools and resources on its website, including:

• Self-employed expense estimators
  • Quizzes to help you find out what tax bracket you’re in
  • W-4 withholding calculator
  • ItsDeductible donation tracker

TurboTax offers services in English and Spanish.

How much does TurboTax cost?

TurboTax has four plans with different benefits and services:

• Free plan: If you have a simple tax return, TurboTax doesn't charge you anything to use its services. This plan covers W-2 income, earned income tax credit and child tax credit.
  • Deluxe plan ($60): If you opt for the Deluxe plan, TurboTax searches for more than 350 possible tax deductions and credits. This helps you maximize deductions on your mortgage or property taxes.
  • Premier plan ($90): With the Premium plan, TurboTax adds investment income reporting services for taxpayers with stocks, bonds, employee stock purchase plans or other investments. This plan also gives customers one-on-one time with a TurboTax specialist.
  • Self-Employed plan ($120): TurboTax designed the Self-Employed plan for personal and business income and expenses. You get access to a TurboTax specialist who searches for available industry-specific deductions.

TurboTax FAQ

Is TurboTax Online free?
TurboTax Online is free for simple tax returns like W-2 income, earned income tax credit and child tax credit. If your taxes are more complicated, you need to purchase one of TurboTax's other plans.
Does TurboTax get you the best refund?
TurboTax promises to get customers the best refund possible in the shortest amount of time. The software itself isn’t necessary to get the best refunds possible on your tax returns, as taxpayers are entitled to their refund amounts, but the company's software helps ensure you don't miss potential deductions.
Is it worth it to use TurboTax?
TurboTax's services are worth considering if you're a small business owner or a contract worker, as they tend to have the most complex type of taxes. The software is also helpful for people who don't want to file their own taxes but would prefer a cheaper option than hiring a certified public accountant.
Is it safe to use TurboTax Online?
Yes, TurboTax uses fraud prevention and other security measures to keep your personal information safe.

Is TurboTax good?

TurboTax offers multiple levels of tax services, including a free plan for basic tax returns. Its specialized service is an excellent option for small business owners and contract workers. If you're searching for a tax specialist that operates online only, TurboTax's services might be right for you.

Intuit - TurboTax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - TurboTax?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2021

After not finding my Intuit Turbo card from filing my taxes this year I was trying to find a way to get a new one of course because of Covid-19. And the delays of our state it puts a delay on everything that we do in our daily life and confuses us at times because I got confused and I was getting ready to give up. What I did was I had moved from a location that I did my taxes where they have on file. So I was putting my new address in and it kept booting me out because it was not the address they have on file.

What I can tell you is if everything is correct when you put it in you can disable your card, get a new one sent out, stop everything with your last account in case you did lose or misplace your card. I learnt today old 103 2021 that's when I put in my old address that I did my taxes on. It automatically went through. It went on and Captain my old card and I have a new one getting sent out. Patience is a virtue. Hopefully this will help some people or a lot of people. I'm in Maryland and thanks.

Original review: March 25, 2020

There was an error when completing my tax return. I probably spent three hours on the phone with their support trying to figure out why it was not including some information that was entered on the forms. Made a huge difference... initially I was getting $3000 back instead I owed $6000 between state and federal. $40,000 from a stock transfer from a 401 K to a Roth IRA did not show up in income. Fortunately I saw there was an issue and that the program could not be right before I sent it in. They did work with me but it was very tedious and never really figured out why it did not work correctly. We just managed to get the amount to be included. Not sure if anyone else would have a similar problem.

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 25, 2020

Using Turbo Tax number of years. Some Setbacks, my fault. The assistance of having a live accountant readily available online (chat) or phone call is awesome. Helped me thru all the screw-ups I did. Also with IRS. I wouldn't use other. I have used other and never had this type of assistance. The software and cost of filing is minimal compared to going to others or accountants. It's easy, fast, and returns same week. I pay Federal every year, with a credit card. You pay a fee to use your credit card but even that is minimal.

Original review: March 22, 2020

The Turbo Tax is very easy to use. If you get stuck the number to call for help is very fast and easy, just answer the personal questions and they can guide you through. Use easy to remember passwords, use easy to remember security questions. Print your forms out at any time. You can even start it up and come back another day to finish up. All your information is saved! Call the IRS number to find out if it went through, the website also has lets you know if you are missing anything. Overall a great way to file taxes without that high dollar charge for most places.

Original review: March 18, 2020

They advertise "free", but nothing is free. You need to pay to file state, and if you used it previously the program will fill in information for you if it is the same as the previous year, but that will cost you in the end also. It's a clever/tricky program, & you can't change your mind for that. Also, be prepared to pay for the services upfront, the cost they charge you for deducting from refund is ridiculous, not worth it. Otherwise, they are up to date with all tax cuts, and ask all the correct questions so you don't miss out.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

I gave Turbo the benefit again because it was successful with last years' tax return. This time around, not so much. After patiently navigating the platform for nearly 4 hrs, with all my small business and work itemizations and deductions, it still had me owing a huge Federal amount, no matter what changes and corrections I made. Turbo has slipped the bill this time. I switched to Easy Return, and got my refund correct.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

I have used TurboTax for the past 9 years & have been very pleased. However, doing my 2020 taxes this year was a nightmare. I had to spend 8-10 hours (total) on the phone with various Turbo Tax specialists trying to fix the problems I was having due to glitches in their software. And because one minor problem ultimately could not be fixed, and because you can’t e-file unless every last minor problem is fixed, I had to print out my returns and File By Mail the old fashioned way, which took me even more time & additional expense for postage. I will also not get my refund this year — which is substantial — in as timely a manner as I would have if I had been able to e-file. I will definitely think long & hard about whether I want to use TurboTax again next year for my 2021 taxes. It might be a good time to try H&R Block.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

I used TurboTax for my 2019 taxes. They charged me when it started out free. They said I owed the IRS $2,000.00 and proceeded to a link for me to arrange monthly payments. They never filed. Never again. I can’t get a real person to answer the phone, since I changed my email address and phone number. They refuse to acknowledge me. I was lucky one time and the agent did some digging and confirmed I paid but no other information was available. After 8 attempts and the late fees continue to build. I’m left with my only choice, hiring a Lawyer, be smart, do your homework.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

TurboTax is a real slimy money-grubbing black mailing organization I will never use them again. They never answer the phone for assistance. I have to amend my 2020 taxes because of their mistake. For no reason they made me fill out the same w2 on my record then doubled my income. At the end of my filing they would not proceed unless I pay $80.00 to change from the free edition to the deluxe or start over. They are a disgrace & I was a long time customer!! Good riddance forever!!!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

I have used H&R Block for years, but they didn't have the proper form for unemployment. So, I used TurboTax. I thought they had a really nice site. I paid extra money to e-file federal and state. I paid extra money for everything. However, the e-file was rejected twice due to 2019 AGI. So, I contacted a tax expert that I had paid extra for, and she told me I had done everything right and to resubmit. But of course it was rejected again. With the time it took to find out it was rejected, resubmit, and then snail mail to the IRS, I have lost two weeks. In addition, our refund will be greatly delayed since we didn't have the ability to e-file. I don't know who dropped the ball (IRS or TurboTax) because I am seeing other TurboTax complaining about the same thing. Next year I will just use the IRS site to file taxes. I heard that it is actually free unlike the supposed other companies that say it's free but then charge you tons of money.

Intuit - TurboTax Company Information