Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.75/5
Based on 1,416 ratings submitted in the last year

H&R Block is a tax preparation business that offers professional tax services as well as self-service options. If you opt for professional services, H&R Block’s tax experts file your tax returns to get you the best possible refund. H&R Block offers its services both in stores and online, and the company offers free online filing software.

BOTTOM LINE

H&R Block offers professional tax filing services and free tax software. With programs for every budget and 24/7 customer service, H&R Block is great for consumers who need tax help.

PROS
  • Options for every budget
  • 24/7 support by phone, email & chat
  • Work with a tax professional
CONS
  • Can cost more than filing yourself

What is H&R Block?

H&R Block is a tax preparation business that helps people who want to file on their own or hire tax professionals. Customers who decide to use H&R Block’s professional filing services choose between three different service options:

• Meeting with a tax expert one-on-one at your local H&R Block office
  • Dropping off your documents at one of H&R Block’s locations
  • Uploading your documents to H&R Block’s website

With document uploading, you don’t need to visit a physical location to work with an H&R Block tax professional. If a customer chooses to use the H&R Block tax filing system to file their own taxes, they can file on the company's website or use its tax software.

Online filing has multiple service options with or without assistance, including:

• Free
  • Deluxe
  • Premium
  • Self-employed

H&R Block’s tax software has four program options:

• Basic
  • Deluxe + State
  • Premium
  • Premium & Business

H&R Block prices

H&R Block has a variety of options to meet every budget. Fees for working with tax experts using the document upload option start at $49, while the drop-off and in-office services start at $69. Additional fees may apply, including a $44.99 fee for filing state taxes.

Tax software from H&R Block ranges from $29.95 to $89.95 for federal filing, with possible additional state fees.

H&R Block FAQ

How much does it cost to file my taxes with H&R Block?
Depending on the level of help you need, H&R Block doesn’t have to cost anything. However, if you want premium filing options or hands-on help, expect to pay between $29.95 and $104.99.
Is H&R Block good?
H&R Block is one of the best-known names in tax preparation, and it has a long-standing reputation in the tax world. Its prices are reasonable, and its services are suitable for a variety of tax situations.
Can I just walk into H&R Block?
H&R Block does accept walk-ins, but it recommends that you make an appointment before meeting an H&R Block tax expert.
Do you have to pay H&R Block upfront?
No, you don't have to pay H&R Block upfront. It allows you to pay its fees from your tax refund.
What does H&R Block charge for rapid refunds?
H&R Block offers a 0% APR loan as a refund advance to qualifying customers. This advance comes with no finance charges or loan fees. After you file your taxes, your refund should repay your loan.

Is H&R Block good?

H&R Block offers nationwide tax services for people in every tax situation. The company is an ideal choice for consumers searching for free tax filing software or people who want to work with a certified tax professional to get the best possible refund. If you’re searching for tax services, H&R Block is a strong candidate.

H&R Block Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about H&R Block?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about H&R Block?

Original review: March 11, 2021

I have used H&R Block for the past 5 years. I was a former Turbo Tax user but the software price became insanely high therefore the switch. Our tax situation has changed drastically in the past 5 years. Yet the transition with Block has been The past 2 years I have used the free version and have been pleasantly surprised by the of then simplicity using the program but a quality end product.

Original review: March 9, 2021

The tax preparers were very courteous and professional. There was a discrepancy which caused us to lose money and we had trouble getting help because the main offices in this area close after tax season. There were branch offices open only at certain times of the week. I persisted with the company and talked to corporate. The representative who called me was very polite and professional. In the end they refunded our filing fee.

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 7, 2021

I used the paid online service and it went well. Docs were easy to upload & my taxes were done quickly by a pro. It cost $179 & I found out later that I could have used their software to file for free. I paid twice in taxes for 2019 than I did in the last 8 years, but that's not their fault. My advice, use the free service unless you want a pro to go over your taxes for peace of mind.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

This tax software is easy to follow and asks comprehensive questions for your initial federal and state tax run thru. I had more difficulty going back to add a form that I forgot. The search option was not as flexible as I would have expected. Ex. I tried to search on the 1099-div form. That’s the title of the document I received from the business. But, a search using “1099-div” was a failure. I actually had to change the search to “1099” and wade thru the options. In addition, I had a problem using my AGI. Do not know why, but would have had to pay to find out.

Original review: June 16, 2020

These guys are absolutely the very best! Making sure I could get through school I owe H&R Block everything. Giving me the opportunity to pursue my dream as a United States Air Force Pilot, H&R Block I support you! The Team here at Store ** was great with me for taxes and got my return done on the same day, and the management was super helpful. Going over all of my concerns they made sure everything got done right. Thank you again guys! Sincerely, Sebastian **

Original review: April 12, 2021

I am currently on hold after a woman, named Cynthia, gave me extremely poor service. I have been on hold to speak to her manager for quite a while, and she put me on the Spanish speaking hold line, so I have no idea what they are even saying. She was patronizing me before putting me on hold, on the phone she would not let me finish my sentences. If I tried to say something she would talk over me saying the same information over and over (and that all these other customers are experiencing the same thing - even though I was never ever able to tell her what the website issue I had was). I did try to ask her to not interrupt me for a second so I could get my question out - but she took that as me needing to talk to her manager - now I have been on hold for over an hour (with spanish only information being repeated in my ear).

I was calling because I had filed my taxes in February, had some issues with the website, wanted to double check that my return was okay, or if I could get a refund for the $80 I paid to file the taxes through HR Block - as I have yet to receive a tax return, or an email, or any form of communication as to what happened to my return. I was told that they have 21 Business days to process - it's been about 45 (I filed 2/25/21, today is 4/12/21). I have been a loyal HR Block customer for the last 7 years, but I will be using a different tax service next year. This has been a really terrible experience. If you must hire people who are rude, please be sure that you are willing to lose customers.

I would have given HR Block a chance to make this right - even just by treating me respectfully, and hearing me out! It's an unfortunate situation, and I sincerely hope that you do not go out of business if everyone that has used your service this year is experiencing similar issues. No one I know uses HR Block, and no one else has had a single issue. Thank you, Krystal.

Original review: April 9, 2021

Do not purchase! The downloaded file will not load. After two tries and hours waiting on hold a rep tried to transfer me to a 'software' tech. Two different calls. It went click and then gone. I still have no software to do my taxes.

Original review: March 28, 2021

Ridiculous that you select one package at the beginning of the online tax program, then get to the end and the premium shows - So you think, ok...mistake...let me downgrade....then you find out your info won't transfer IF you call and ask for a downgrade - after waiting 25 minutes on the phone. This is the WORST case of bait and switch I have ever seen. And it's not like you don't know at the beginning which one you want to use...Premium was if you had a schedule C or rented out property...I knew I had neither so I chose the lower one...although they will question you about choosing the incorrect one. STUPID STUPID STUPID.

Original review: March 25, 2021

The 2019 software worked correctly and allowed the subtraction of military retirement pay from AGI. The 2020 Premium software won’t allow it and therefore makes your tax liability higher. Their Chat line rep said wait for an update but the website says no update is planned for the Kansas software.

Original review: March 23, 2021

H&R charged me $70 to not file my taxes, then I ended up filing with a CPA. They refused a refund, then told me to file elsewhere. I have been on hold for an hour, after I was told I'd be transferred to a supervisor promptly. I'm still seeking a refund for this, and will likely seek other means to submit my returns than H&R in future years.

H&R Block Company Information