Get matched with the best Tax Relief company for you!

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.68/5

2647 H&R Block Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 8, 2019

I've used their tax prep software for over a decade, and ALWAYS been impressed with the ease to complete it, search for forms, enter info, etc. Our life underwent several changes all at once, so it resulted in us filing VERY late for one prior year. Due to that lateness, electronic filing was not supported, and I TOTALLY understand how that would be the case. What I DON'T LIKE, was that once the software determined a paper return was necessary, it did not transfer our pin #'s to the FEDERAL paper copy automatically (it DID do it for the state return), nor alert us to do so. As a result, the IRS processed our return in an extended expected timeframe, & we will wait even LONGER for our paper refund check because the pins weren't on the federal return.

If there was ANY INDICATOR H&R Block utilized, I would have CERTAINLY wrote-in the PINS - I thoroughly checked my return for all the elements they recommended, but they do NOT include one to ensure a direct deposit can occur. This omission delays our refund for additional weeks. While I acknowledge this glitch, I WILL STILL use H&R Block tax software over ANY of their competitors!

Original review: March 16, 2019

I've been this software when it was called TaxCut before acquired by H&R Block. There were times when I lost the activation code after purchasing and was able to get another one from the customer service. This one works fine and price is reasonable. I've also used the more expensive one and don't feel any difference. I've never had to request the available human service, so I don't know how good or bad that is. Also, the reason I'm keeping using this one is just to make sure there is enough competition for the other major tax software provider. I know they've been trying to significantly hiking the price, but the competition keep them in check.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 8, 2019

When I filed income taxes for the first time in 1993, as I recall there was no software available for consumers to file on their own. I most likely filed by paper, and mailed them for a few years. I used TurboTax for several years, and in 2016, my first time filing income taxes in Pennsylvania for the first time in over 20 years, and with a different address and bank account, TurboTax would not allow me to update my personal information. I used H&R Block, the free version, and I've had no issues whatsoever. In hindsight, I should have used H&R Block several years ago, and it's now what I'll use for the remainder of my life filing income taxes.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I've used H&R Block Deluxe for 10 years or more, and it is very easy to navigate to import prior year data, make new entries, recheck entries, verify entries for missing data, and electronically file tax return. Since I am a regular user, I am used to its format. I wanted to try a free TurboTax Deluxe online this year for comparison, and I was very disappointed, thinking that its features would be the same. However, I had some oil lease rental income this year, and when I entered the rent, a note popped up that said the Deluxe version didn't support this entry and I needed to upgrade to Premier version for $55. H&R Block's Deluxe version covered this entry with no problem. So, as you can imagine, I never proceeded further with TurboTax, and finished my return with my favorite H&R Block.

I also observed that the online TurboTax version was slow as compared to my computer run H&R Block program. I saw no way to navigate freely online, as it only proceeded in a step-by-step process. Perhaps there was a way to navigate easily, but I couldn't find it, and I stopped using the program after I found out that I would need to upgrade to a higher version of TurboTax. So, if you are considering purchasing a tax program, don't presume that all Deluxe versions include the same features. TurboTax costs much more than H&R Block, and this is also a major concern to me. I also saved money by downloading the email version from Walmart compared to the CD version. It downloaded the program quickly and seamlessly, so I will always use the email download program in the future.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Activation Code for Free E-Filing Really works. When I filed my taxes for my daughter I got an error that the free E-file was not a valid code. I called H&R Block and they gave me a new one to use. However I just filed my taxes yesterday and what you need to do when you submit the filing is get rid of the "-" that is automatically populated by the software with that code. That "-" is what is causing the file to say it is not a valid code. The reason why I tried again after I talked to H&R Block they told me not to include the "-" in the new code that they gave me. So when I filed mine I decided to try the activation code that was given to me with the software and it did work. I hope this helps people because I was quite frustrated with having to figure this out.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about H&R Block?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I submitted my tax documents online and was assigned a tax pro to work on my tax filing. A week has passed. I received no update. I didn't even know if anyone was working on my tax or not. I sent her a dozen messages but never got responded. I called H&R block customer services. After many long phone calls being directed from one department to another, they couldn't even help me reach this tax pro. All I want to know is if anyone is working on my tax or not. I was told the best thing they can do for me is to reassign me a new tax pro to work on my tax. What a waste of time. I am not going to use H&R block again.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Staffs are extremely racist. I called to make an appointment to their office at 258 Taschereau Blvd, La Prairie, QC J5R 1T2 and initially, a lady answered the phone and just said, "Oui?" I asked, "Is it H&R Block," she passed the phone to another unprofessional guy and who was talking in French. And I just said, "Sorry I do not speak French," and responded that, "You live in Quebec you must speak French."

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

We filed with them for years and thought everything was going good. We would bring all our records and they would have us leave them and would sort through and figure out what we owed or got back. Always paid for the peace of mind thinking we would be all set until it happened we got audited and they said they had us all taken care of that they would pay any penalties and fees. Well they left us high and dry owing the IRS over $100,000. And anytime we try to call we get crap. Also told us we couldn't call a lawyer and had to deal with them.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

Today received IRS collection letter, because their system incorrectly transferred information to IRS. Called customer service and they keep switching me around and than hang up. It happened before. I thought that I did not enter this info, but it appears I did.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I have a basis in Nondeductible Contributions in my IRA. Their program had no provision to enter this amount, causing my taxes to be overstated. When I attempted to do an amended return, again there was no provision to enter the amount. When H&R Block presented the amended return it turned out to be a request to get my entire tax payment refunded. Obviously, I did not send it to the IRS and now have to do an amended return on my own. The "HELP" was useless.

H&R Block expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

H&R Block has prepared and filed more than 600 million tax returns since 1955 and although the online version is a more modern incarnation of this service, taxpayers can have peace of mind knowing that they are working with one of the most experienced tax service providers in the nation. In 2012, the company processed more than 25.6 million tax returns including 20 percent of the returns filed by low-income taxpayers that claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit.

• Variety: H&R Block offers several different packages that meet the needs of a wide variety of taxpayers - from a basic free file to a more complex return for a sole proprietor. H&R Block At Home customers can also grant access to a local H&R Block professional, which allows for more personalized support and assistance.

• Audit support: All packages, including the Free File option, come with free audit support and representation from an enrolled agent.

• Multiple refund options: Multiple refund options are available including direct deposit, refund anticipation checks and a prepaid MasterCard.

• Upsells: H&R Block uses refund anticipation checks. Refund anticipation checks come with higher fees and there are only certain instances in which this option is used.

• Basic package: The basic package is priced at $34.95.

• Best for: Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals, Sole Proprietors, Taxpayers with

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

H&R Block Company Information