Owe the IRS $10k+ in Tax Debt?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.77/5

2643 H&R Block Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 8, 2019

I've used their tax prep software for over a decade, and ALWAYS been impressed with the ease to complete it, search for forms, enter info, etc. Our life underwent several changes all at once, so it resulted in us filing VERY late for one prior year. Due to that lateness, electronic filing was not supported, and I TOTALLY understand how that would be the case. What I DON'T LIKE, was that once the software determined a paper return was necessary, it did not transfer our pin #'s to the FEDERAL paper copy automatically (it DID do it for the state return), nor alert us to do so. As a result, the IRS processed our return in an extended expected timeframe, & we will wait even LONGER for our paper refund check because the pins weren't on the federal return.

If there was ANY INDICATOR H&R Block utilized, I would have CERTAINLY wrote-in the PINS - I thoroughly checked my return for all the elements they recommended, but they do NOT include one to ensure a direct deposit can occur. This omission delays our refund for additional weeks. While I acknowledge this glitch, I WILL STILL use H&R Block tax software over ANY of their competitors!

Original review: March 16, 2019

I've been this software when it was called TaxCut before acquired by H&R Block. There were times when I lost the activation code after purchasing and was able to get another one from the customer service. This one works fine and price is reasonable. I've also used the more expensive one and don't feel any difference. I've never had to request the available human service, so I don't know how good or bad that is. Also, the reason I'm keeping using this one is just to make sure there is enough competition for the other major tax software provider. I know they've been trying to significantly hiking the price, but the competition keep them in check.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 8, 2019

When I filed income taxes for the first time in 1993, as I recall there was no software available for consumers to file on their own. I most likely filed by paper, and mailed them for a few years. I used TurboTax for several years, and in 2016, my first time filing income taxes in Pennsylvania for the first time in over 20 years, and with a different address and bank account, TurboTax would not allow me to update my personal information. I used H&R Block, the free version, and I've had no issues whatsoever. In hindsight, I should have used H&R Block several years ago, and it's now what I'll use for the remainder of my life filing income taxes.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I've used H&R Block Deluxe for 10 years or more, and it is very easy to navigate to import prior year data, make new entries, recheck entries, verify entries for missing data, and electronically file tax return. Since I am a regular user, I am used to its format. I wanted to try a free TurboTax Deluxe online this year for comparison, and I was very disappointed, thinking that its features would be the same. However, I had some oil lease rental income this year, and when I entered the rent, a note popped up that said the Deluxe version didn't support this entry and I needed to upgrade to Premier version for $55. H&R Block's Deluxe version covered this entry with no problem. So, as you can imagine, I never proceeded further with TurboTax, and finished my return with my favorite H&R Block.

I also observed that the online TurboTax version was slow as compared to my computer run H&R Block program. I saw no way to navigate freely online, as it only proceeded in a step-by-step process. Perhaps there was a way to navigate easily, but I couldn't find it, and I stopped using the program after I found out that I would need to upgrade to a higher version of TurboTax. So, if you are considering purchasing a tax program, don't presume that all Deluxe versions include the same features. TurboTax costs much more than H&R Block, and this is also a major concern to me. I also saved money by downloading the email version from Walmart compared to the CD version. It downloaded the program quickly and seamlessly, so I will always use the email download program in the future.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Activation Code for Free E-Filing Really works. When I filed my taxes for my daughter I got an error that the free E-file was not a valid code. I called H&R Block and they gave me a new one to use. However I just filed my taxes yesterday and what you need to do when you submit the filing is get rid of the "-" that is automatically populated by the software with that code. That "-" is what is causing the file to say it is not a valid code. The reason why I tried again after I talked to H&R Block they told me not to include the "-" in the new code that they gave me. So when I filed mine I decided to try the activation code that was given to me with the software and it did work. I hope this helps people because I was quite frustrated with having to figure this out.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about H&R Block?

Original review: June 10, 2019

I have a basis in Nondeductible Contributions in my IRA. Their program had no provision to enter this amount, causing my taxes to be overstated. When I attempted to do an amended return, again there was no provision to enter the amount. When H&R Block presented the amended return it turned out to be a request to get my entire tax payment refunded. Obviously, I did not send it to the IRS and now have to do an amended return on my own. The "HELP" was useless.

Original review: June 3, 2019

My husband and I live outside of the U.S., and to make sure we did the filing correctly we used their Tax Pro Review. First everything seemed OK but then they never sent in the tax documents to the IRS. Any attempt to contact them has been unsuccessful. We have not received any response to our numerous emails and when we try to call them we end up in a loop of automated messages. H&R block shows all the signs of being a scam.

Original review: May 18, 2019

H&R Block provides terrible service. My husband and I filled out 2017 tax with H&R Block. We purchased their peace of mind. This cost is over $ 500.00. I was reassessed for my 2017 tax. It took H & R a month to respond to my reassessment. They indicated they could not find my husband file. I had to write a threatening email for them to respond to my reassessment. Two months after my conversation with H & R Block, I phoned the CRA to inquire about my TAX. To my surprise, none of the documents were mailed to CRA. I had to do this myself. I will not recommend H & R Block to anyone. I have learned my mistake. I paid $ 500 to avoid the hassle and time, which was a waste of money because they did not do their job. I am very disappointed in their service and I will certainly not go back or recommend them. I will give them a -5 star if this was possible.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Advertised as free, notifies you at the very end of the filing you need to pay over $120 because your taxes were complicated. Even more, if you want a copy of YOUR taxes from last year, H&R Block intends to charge you $9.99 for a PDF file. Way to go, H&R Block, what a business!

Original review: May 16, 2019

I filed my taxes back in the beginning of February and we have still not received our refund. When I finally got a hold of a tax advocate, I learned it was because I "did not claim my husband's unemployment benefits as income." This is false. I did, H&R Block even charged me for it, although they advertised that they will do unemployment forms free (Can we say Bait and Switch??). When I called to find out why this was never reported with the rest of our income, I never received an answer. Now we are facing significant financial hardships, due to not having our taxes and even working with the tax advocates have no idea when we will get our refund or the actual amount.

Original review: April 30, 2019

When I filed my taxes there was something wrong with me HSA so I called them and let them know that I could not file that correctly. I needed some help so they told me to go to the store and Harrisonburg Virginia that they set me up an appointment that I can meet with someone who can review it. So when I went there Not only was I told that they did not do that and I was lying about having an appointment and that there was nobody there that was going to help me and asked me to leave in a very rude way after I told them that the people on the phone told me to come in and they would help me. So I was refused help and on top of that degraded and disrespected Very much inside store.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I paid $59.99 + tax for the "expert review" service, which advertised "unlimited" one-time consultation with an "expert" reviewer. An appointment time was scheduled. The reviewer phoned on time, but stated that she only had 1/2 hour to give me. They are supposed to review your entire tax return and be prepared to answer specific questions that you give them ahead of time. I asked them to focus on the T777 (employment expenses), as well as to let me know at what level of income OAS would entirely be clawed back.

Re: the T777, the reviewer totally missed the fact that I had not entered my mileage rebate from my employer. This would have been a red flag for CRA. I told her about it. Re: my question about OAS, she did not know. The rest of my queries were technical issues that could have been answered by my Priority service, which I already paid $29.99 for. I had another question about my RRSP balance carried forward. She gave me only 1/2 answer. I phoned CRA and got a full answer, for free. In summary, if you have any kind of tax savvy, you will know more than the Expert Reviewer. Do not waste your money on this service, which is not "unlimited" time for your consultation, nor is the expert an expert but missed a glaring mistake.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Total Frikkin Ripoff, Paid for peace of mind, got completely 100% ignored, no return phone calls or emails!!! Piece of ** company... $750 in Fees, and I get CRAP ** service!!! Never AGAIN!!!! ** HR BLOCK!!!!

Original review: April 28, 2019

Heavenly service provided for me by H&R Block employees for my tax filing. I visited the office in 6435 Erin Mills Parkway in Mississauga. Mr. ** serviced me and I am very satisfied with the services and definitely recommends to my friends.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I have had my taxes prepared for many years now with H&R Block, but the last two years have been horrible in regards to the Emerald Card. My card was hacked by someone another state in which I had proof of being at work in the state I reside, and it took them 30 days to investigate two different times in two years. I had to threaten an attorney and then the same day I did that I magically got my money back on my card and a phone call. I had a vacation planned with family in which I only see once a year, and because of this, I had to reschedule. The experience was horrible. I was basically forced to use the Emerald Card because I had taken out an advanced loan with them and I was told I did not have any choice. This company is insured and as much as you pay to fill your taxes, if fraudulent charges occur you should get the money back before having to threaten an attorney.

Resolution response: April 25, 2019

They are attempting to resolve the problem

Original review: April 24, 2019

I will never take my taxes to them again and I would strongly advise everyone else to go anywhere else but H&R Block. Their complete lack of knowledge costed us over $500.00 and IRS late penalties and they refused to take responsibility for the inept preparer that they hired that completely botched everything up.

Original review: April 23, 2019

My father, 88 years old, took has taxes to H&R Block and was charge $826. $406 went to regular taxes, and $420 to Form 709. Form 709 is very simple to fill out. It is for gifts made to family. If a father gives more than 11 million dollars by the end of his life (assuming he is widowed), taxes are owed. My father will never have 11 million to give away. He is on a limited income, with barely enough money to make ends meet each month. He does not own property. I feel he was taken advantage of because of his age, inability to say "no", and lack of clarity in his thinking. If I had been there, I would not have allowed this to happen. In addition, $420 is an exorbitant fee for a simple form for which no taxes were owed. As his daughter, I do not like people to take advantage of him and in this case he was. My family will never take our business to H&R Block again. A CPA could have done it more cheaply.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Please do yourself a favor and don't use these car salesman. They are not professional, will tell you in the beginning what you want to hear and then after they get your money they change the numbers of your taxes. They sent me an email to review my taxes which I NEVER APPROVED and they decided to e file it without my permission! Simply Connivers!! I told the tax guy I need an explanation for the numbers. They promised me the $585 business deduction then they had different version that something was wrong with their computer. After few days my tax return jumped from 8000 to 9100. These people should work in selling cars not doing someone's taxes. I have been told from the tax person that "he's learning the process doing my taxes since it's complicated". I'm checking the option of seeing them for doing such an illegal things. Be aware!

Original review: April 16, 2019

First, it is a rare day on planet earth for me to take the time to leave a less than stellar review. That said, after H&R Block wasted significant hours of my time, I would say it is deservedly so. I was filling in my business expenses and I wasn't finished editing, or double checking itemizations, etc. The app will not allow you to view your entries, or edit them. There isn't any support for this question. FYI, Turbo Tax allows you to edit freely. Unfortunately, they appear to be down, or I would have used them.

Furthermore, I am unable to view the details of my income in order to check for errors. What a colossal waste of my time, and I do value my time. Now I have to find another vehicle and redo hours worth of work. I mean, nobody wishes to make unknown errors on their tax returns. The goal is to be as truthful, as possible and not make mathematical errors.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I used H&R online tax preparation software before and didn't have issue. But this year it was not good. I couldn't e-file because the software is saying my AGI is incorrect. I have my last year return and even got my Tax return transcript from IRS and the AGI I entered is correct. Still H&R got my tax return rejected. I tried this more than five times. So I decided to mail in my taxes but before filing taxes via paper I just wanted to give TurboTax a shot as today is last day for filing taxes. I just logged into TurboTax and filled all the details all over again, but TurboTax has good integration with my stockbroker and I didn't have to enter manually. It pulled everything correctly.

Also my Federal return was much higher in TurboTax and calculated my state Tax with Penalty (which I expected) correctly whereas H&R said I didn't owe a penalty. I submitted my Taxes via TurboTax, first time they were rejected but it showed what was wrong, whereas H&R didn't. I submitted second time after correcting and Hurray my taxes were accepted within an hour, whereas on H&R it took almost 3 hours for an update. Although TurboTax charged me $35.00 more the experience is much better.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Waited 2 hours on hold then told that someone will call me back. They did call back at their scheduled time but knew less that me. Also the online program continues to give me a college credit. I dont have any tuition to be reimbursed. It's not asking the appropriate questions.

Original review: April 15, 2019

This is my first and last time using this company. I filed with them in early January and still haven't received my refund! Granted, in the beginning, my bank account was closed the same day that my check was to be deposited... I ended having to call HR Block and the IRS on multiple occasions and it still hasn't been resolved. Heck, H&R Block told me that they mailed my check on 4/4/19, but I find out today that they mailed it back to the IRS instead on 4/10/19! I'm so irritated by this whole experience and I'll never go back to them. (I'm not even gonna start on all of the fees they charged...)

Original review: April 12, 2019

I have had a CPA do my taxes for 10 years. I thought since I had such fantastic records of all of my past tax documents, that I could easily do my taxes this year through TurboTax or H&R Block. Well...other than the fact that I had spent a couple of days learning the system and completing my forms on H&R Block, I called the customer service agent to remove an Ask the Pro ($39.99) from my cart, since apparently as a customer you are only allowed to put things into the cart and not out of the cart. Just to give you an idea of what my cart looked like.

I had the normal federal charge, two state charges, a Pro Tax Review charge, and an Ask the Pro charge. I asked customer service if a Pro Tax person is going to be reviewing my charge why do I need Ask the Pro? I asked her to remove the Ask a Tax Pro. She promptly deleted both tax pro services, which automatically deleted ALL of my information. Arghh...whatever. Took it as a sign to go back to my CPA. After all, my CPA charges $300 and H&R Block was already up to $249. My advice to others is to (1) be on the lookout for all of the hidden or added fees "necessary" to file your taxes, (2) don't add any service to your cart that is already included in another mandatory service, and (3) take anything more complex than a couple of W-2s and a 1095-B to an actual brick and mortar CPA.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Make sure your people (I.e. N.J. @ Salem OR Branch) knows what they are talking about BEFORE promising the $189 payment 3 times!!!! Then at end he says “ooops sorry, I told you wrong. It’s actually going to be $299.” VERY, VERY FRUSTRATING and makes it a deal breaker for future tax preparation unless I get that $110 back. Then that will tell me you are stand up people, truly transparent in your pricing, and your satisfaction guarantee is actually guaranteed and not just a slogan to get people in the door. I ended up paying $500 more in tax liability with you folks than what Jackson Hewitt said the day before using the same information!!! Go figure. In the meantime I will post my review online for everyone else to see as a warning and caution about what they can expect????

Original review: April 10, 2019

Dishonest, frustrating, and misleading. Don't waste time trying to file taxes. Search for an actual FREE service. This company is deceiving and makes false promises/advertisements. FILING TAXES WITH THEM IS NOT FREE...despite how they wiggle it around to make their practice appear fine and legal. I wasted a couple of hours trying to file my taxes thinking it was free to do so. Unfortunately, fees start appearing one after the other at the end of the application after having wasted time and submitting sensitive information. First there is this $30 state tax fee, after that an optional $49 for a tax agent to review the file, then they require another $30+ for "transfer fee" to an account. I deleted my account shortly after and I hope they don't save any of my info. I'll contact my lawyer regarding this. I will NEVER use any of H&R Block's services and will make sure not one of my family members do. Dishonest, frustrating, and misleading.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I'm a dedicated H&R Block software user for several years but have on occasion had procedural questions about the software. For the most part, you can forget about getting any useful customer support from H&R Block. If you have a rather simple tax situation (salary, interest, dividends, simple deductions) the software for the most part seems to do an adequate job, but then so do most of the other known tax software programs on the market.

Today, I had two questions about the software: one involved a bizarre warning about an audit risk (none of whose criteria fit my return) and the other involved a seemingly erroneous transfer of information from the federal to the state return, which (in my insignificant opinion) would have resulted in an overpayment of state income tax. When I called their "customer support" number, I had a wait time of nearly an hour, but "Ciera" did eventually pick up.

However, she would not answer any of my questions until she got a bunch of personal information: name, address, etc. I told her that none of that was germane to my questions and asked for her manager, to which she answered that she would not transfer me to her manager until I first supplied all of my personal information. Moral of the story: H&RB is no better than other software for calculations, and appears to be awful for customer "support," so you're pretty much on your own. Keep your fingers crossed and be prepared to kiss away some money which you should be keeping.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I signed up for H&R Block's Tax Pro Go service on April 3 online and they assigned me a Tax Pro who never responded to my several messages and also stood me up for our scheduled call on April 6. When I called customer service, all they told me to do was try and book another call for April 8. They had no way to contact the advisor assigned to me and had no guarantees that she would not miss my call again. Keep in mind, they also guarantee a 2-day turnaround for responses, which the tax advisor did not adhere to. With tax deadlines around the corner, I was not going to trust this advisor especially if she hasn't responded to me at all in the past couple of days and missed our scheduled call.

Original review: April 6, 2019

They changed the computers that can use their online filing and did not tell their employees or their clients. Thus, over two hours of my time and of their "chat' employees' time was totally wasted. And I cannot file this year with the results of last year's taxes available in the program. SHAME!

Original review: April 4, 2019

This is the first year I have used H&R Block. In the past I have used TurboTax. I was unable to reconcile H&R Block downloads from financial firms with my 1099s and the discrepancies were large. I could not reconcile them because H&R Block lumps transactions from different investment accounts. I will never use H&R Block again.

Original review: April 4, 2019

Used H&R Block online for tax calculations as I did for last 4 years. This time, despite my triple checking, program did not include carry-over of my investment loses. On top of that I was not able to review IRS forms before submission - software does not give you such option, you can only review your entries.

Had to recalculate my taxes manually and file amended return. Their support was terrible. When I called and reported the bug, they hold me on the phone for an hour and did nothing for me. No reimbursement even after I had to do my taxes myself! Obviously software has bugs after last overhaul and support won't help you. Watch out. Stephen

H&R Block expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

H&R Block has prepared and filed more than 600 million tax returns since 1955 and although the online version is a more modern incarnation of this service, taxpayers can have peace of mind knowing that they are working with one of the most experienced tax service providers in the nation. In 2012, the company processed more than 25.6 million tax returns including 20 percent of the returns filed by low-income taxpayers that claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit.

• Variety: H&R Block offers several different packages that meet the needs of a wide variety of taxpayers - from a basic free file to a more complex return for a sole proprietor. H&R Block At Home customers can also grant access to a local H&R Block professional, which allows for more personalized support and assistance.

• Audit support: All packages, including the Free File option, come with free audit support and representation from an enrolled agent.

• Multiple refund options: Multiple refund options are available including direct deposit, refund anticipation checks and a prepaid MasterCard.

• Upsells: H&R Block uses refund anticipation checks. Refund anticipation checks come with higher fees and there are only certain instances in which this option is used.

• Basic package: The basic package is priced at $34.95.

• Best for: Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals, Sole Proprietors, Taxpayers with

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

H&R Block Company Information