1.16/5
Based on 203 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

H&R Block

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 18, 2018

2446 H&R Block Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

H&R Block purchased my old tax company. Then they never sent anybody to the office to look at all of the returns that had not been filed or filed incorrectly, nor did they call anybody letting them know that the business had been bought. I went to Jet Tax office on several occasions, called them over 20 times over that. Then was told by somebody else that were having their taxes done with Jet Tax that H&R block bought them. When I finally got ahold of them, they had one agent taking care of all these problems. He did my taxes for that year, then when I was ready to do 2016, I found out he was laid off & did not file an extension. Now I owe 25000 dollars in late fees. That is only one of the problems. I also owe over 40000 dollars in interest and penalties for the years before that, because it sat in the office for so long. They sent me a nice form letter, saying it is not their responsibility and now they will not return my calls.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I have been for 6 weeks trying to upload my simple small business tax return, every week promised an update to fix error message. This happens every year for over a month, they get you right down to the wire on due dates for business returns. Cannot do personal until this is accepted. Maybe cheaper than TurboTax but I may try that product next year. Poorly executed software.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I have used TurboTax for 10 years - 100% satisfied with them. However I needed some money rather quickly so I went for H&R Block so I could get a rapid refund loan. It cost me over $300 for them to prepare my taxes in 15 minutes, & then I was denied any money for their rapid refund. My credit is over 700 & good! I have never felt so scammed - DO NOT USE H&R BLOCK. Use TurboTax. My return hasn't even been accepted yet & they probably screwed something up for me.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

The Refund Deposit Account Fee is nothing more than a scam to charge you double for their service. They charged me $35 to take $30 out of my return before sending the remainder to my bank. Then they try to call it anything but what it is-a charge to take money from me. Nonsense. I will never use this service again.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I JUST WENT THROUGH THE MOST HORRORING EXPERIENCE TRYING TO FILE. I could not make changes to my forms! Or not find a phone no# to get any help. I have been using H&R Block for 12 years but this year was my last. Program very hard to navigate, cannot even change a letter in street address. No help! No help anywhere. The program is so confusing totally stupid!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about H&R Block?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

First time ever filing taxes with H&R Block let me say lesson learned and will NEVER use them again. Ok great. Got a rapid refund back. Ok whatever. No big deal. A lot of companies do that. But the lady that did my taxes failed to tell me that their fees would come out of whatever came first. She told me that the fees and rapid refund loan would be taken out of my federal. Bahaha. Yeah right. 'Cause the day I was to receive my money from state it NEVER showed up. That's when I found out what had happened.

So here it is having bills due AND two young kiddos. I have things I need to get for them and no money to do so. And all they could say, "Oh well I'm sorry. You'll get your federal before you know it." Yeah like that helps me now. Seriously. I won't get my refund for another 2 weeks or longer, who knows. So if you have need your state before your federal don't use H&R Block. I wouldn't have used them this year and filed using TurboTax if it wasn't for the fact my taxes this yr were a little complex for me to do them.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Before the holidays I was let go from my job. My wife and I was just breaking even with our bills and things and after Christmas I was planning on getting a job. But making a long story short my car was repoed and I was on foot to most places and I had called H&R Block. Talked to them about the 3000 loan. They had assured me that I can get the full amount when she went over my taxes. So I made a appointment with the local office. When I got there I had to talk her through how to use their software to get my W2's. What really got my goat was that I did most of the work for her. She acted like she had no freaking clue to what she was doing.

Four hours later right before she clicked submit I asked her again if I was going to get at least 1500 dollars, so I can get my car back and get food for my wife, kids food till the rest of my taxes came through. Then about five minutes later after clicked submit I got a deposit alert for 500 dollars. Now I had lost my car due to this whole thing and I am two steps away from losing my home because I can't get a job to pay my rent. Then I checked the IRS website and that is saying I won't get my refund till the 27 of this month. What's really jacked up was I paid them 400 bucks for this three ring circus.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Expensive deal went bad - Worse experience ever! Cost my son 250.00 to get his taxes done and they were done wrong. Something simple a W2 and a 1098 form is all he had. After admitting they messed up sending him a 250 gift card. But sent him a 200 letter for next year.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Our 2016 federal return was taken due to my student loans, yes that is my bad and took steps after that to pay them. H&R Block did nothing to communicate with us that due to the department of education taking our federal return the Tax Preparation Fees wasn't paid that year. So here it is 2018. We go in file our 2017 taxes, everything was normal, nothing was said about us owing back fees. Which we didn't know about. Yesterday I go to the office cause our Federal Return should of been in the bank a week ago, but there is no sign of it.

After almost an hour in their office, on multiple phone calls I am told about the back fees and how they took the rest of our Federal and some of our State to pay this fee we was NEVER told about. After the lack of communication to a customer they are to be serving we WILL NOT be using them in the future. I left a message for the lady that helped me in the office and she even said they are good at doing that. That is horrible business, and even the employees know they are working for a dishonest company.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Stated in my tax paperwork any owed fees associated with the prep fees. That's fine. That's how it always been. But this time they took what was available first and it not right... Don't use this service. Go to Jackson Hewitt. I ** up this year and went H&R Block...

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I selected the premium online package. After entering my K1 (a simple LLC) the program told me that I need a tax pro/office visit. OK, so I visited an H&R Block office but for some reason, they cannot access my uploaded forms. Now mind you that I pretty much completed all the data entry. So I chatted online with a very simple question -- "how do I share my forms and uploaded document with a tax pro". I explained I am sitting in one of their offices. The response was for me to print everything out and give it to the tax pro. After 15 minutes, the chat tech person absolutely failed to understand what I needed to do. The program interface and navigation is very poor. I could not find a place to enter my retired law enforcement/public servant $3000 credit for health insurance (line 16a, 16b). I end up spending three hours sitting in their tax pro office waiting for them to reenter all my data to the tune of a bill of $386.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I have used H&R block for years and been satisfied. However this year the program was not calculating a 1099 MISC correctly. I waited for online chat for about an 45 minutes. I gave a clear explanation of the problem I had with my dependent daughter's return. The support person Andrem would not address the problem but argued that I needed to close that chat and have my daughter open a chat. We don't have another hour to waste. Do not purchase this product. They do not live up to the promise. Terrible experience.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I was lied to by H&R Block. They told me that my fees would come out of my federal taxes. NEVER did they mention if the state comes before the federal, then the fees would be deducted from state. I was let go from work before the holidays and was relying on my state taxes to pay bills and get groceries. Now I can't, I don't appreciate being lied to and I will not use H&R Block next year.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

In the process of completing my 2017 tax return, I inadvertently indicated that I had proceeds from a 401k rollover. This was a mistake and totally on me, but in making this mistake, I was triggered into the premium filing package. Upon completing the next few screens, I realized that I did not have any need for premium package since the rollover was direct to an IRA and no taxable amount was generated. After clicking around the site to no avail to bring myself back down to the basic package, I determined that I needed to call to change my filing package. I was told by a rep that they could change me back to basic, but that I would lose all of the data I had entered. I promptly asked that my profile was deleted in total and informed the rep that I would not be using H&R Block now or in the future.

I was insulted by such a cheap attempt to gain a sale. Mistakes happen and if you expect to use the hours spent inputting data to force a sale instead of reverting to a free version and having to re-enter, then expect to use a lot of business! I am a young wage earner and would certainly have continued to use H&R Block when my finances became more complex and would have required the premium package to file. I will now take my business elsewhere. Aside from my specific experience, I think it is totally unreasonable for the price they charge for each state filing as well.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

We have used your firm for about 17 years. 12 while living in Anne Arundel and 7 while in Carroll County MD. In 2013 we paid $248.00 for your services. Retired in 2013 and income dropped 65 percent. Your fee keep increasing. 2014 $292.00, 2015 $344.00, 2016 $375.00, 2017 $394.00. I have all my work ready for your firm. Two years in a row the preparer suggested that I take your spring course and work for your firm. We are senior citizens and our income will not increase. S.S increases are used up by the insurance increase. Do you have any kind of Military or senior discount.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I asked over the phone and in person, would I be able to get the advanced loan before my taxes were prepared and the answer was, "Yes". I had to travel to Louisiana to attend my father's funeral. I normally don't use H and R Block but I am unemployed at the moment and needed an advanced loan to travel to Louisiana. Lo and behold, the young lady registered the emerald card, like I was getting the loan, and gave it to me. She then told me that I should be able to get at least 750.00.

I start checking the card balance on Wednesday... 0 balance. Thursday 0 balance and when Friday approach, it was still 0 balance. I called to speak with the young lady that prepared my taxes, she was off. So, I ask to speak with the manager. The manager then told me that I was denied. I asked why I wasn't told at the time instead leading me that I could get at 750.00. She replied, "she probably didn't know how to press the button that shows that you were denied." Very misleading and false advertisement! I will never go to another H and R Block to get my taxes prepared...

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I filed my taxes with a local H&R Block office in Abilene Texas. For the last 20 years I have done my own taxes using online software. However, this year I was in need of Fast Cash and chose to use their services because of the $1,000 cash advance. The "tax professional" assured me the loan advance was not based on individual credit but on the refund amount itself. Had he been truthful I would have saved $296. I was denied the advance based on my credit after the IRS accepted my return. Therefore I wasn't able to stop the process and prepare my taxes on my own as usual.

The tax professional didn't do anything for me that I wasn't able to do on my own. We both came up with the exact same amounts. If he had just been honest with me I could have saved nearly $300. That is a lot of money to me a person living paycheck-to-paycheck on low income. I'm very disappointed with the experience and will most definitely not suggest the services to anyone I know.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I went a couple days ago and I’m still angry about this. What a rip-off!!! The amount they charge you for their services should be against the law. Mine was a very simple tax return and they charged me $322 plus a $39 fee!! They didn’t tell me how much until right before they were going to submit my tax return. Next year and the following years after, I will be sure to go to my previous accountant who charged me at a reasonable price and a 1/4th of what H&R Block charged me. I do have to say though the accountant who worked with me was very thorough and took her time doing my taxes and I appreciated that.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Filed with them not knowing price to be charged. When tax preparer gave me total due I was floored. Should have asked to cancel and went elsewhere. But I assumed it was too late. It gets better. I was charged $860.00. Mind you I received a $50.00 discount. My situation was not complicated at all. Retired, 2 kids 1 rental plus pension and SSI. I should have looked for other options had I known of this outrageous fee. No reputable lawyer charges this ridiculous amount per hour. Totally not recommended???

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I should have listened to my intuition and gone elsewhere to get my taxes done. Not only did I pay almost $300 more than I would have if I went to my regular tax preparer, they told me that with the amount of my refund, they said that it wasn't going to be a problem getting a tax refund advance. Well, an hour later, I was denied. When I called them back to express my dissatisfaction, all they did was apologize and tell me there was nothing they could do about it. I will NEVER go to H&R Block EVER again.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Misleading, lying, false advertising - The tax preparer lied about the loan saying it would be available in 24 hrs. I will never ever do business there again and I will let anybody who is thinking about going to H&R Block know they're full of BS.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Tax Preparation - I went in with 2 pieces of paper. I was using the standard deduction. I didn't use their system to get money upfront. I left with a $496 bill. Way overpriced!!! I will never use them again.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

H&R Emerald loan - I'm upset that it's not explained to the customer during getting your tax prepared that is an actual loan and line of credit. So save yourself the bad credit strike against you and just wait for the tax return to deposited to your checking account or wait for it to mailed to you. There should be more information clearly explained to the customer before asking them to apply for it. Not make it sound like a free offer to get money early. Not happy.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I decided to go to H&R Block because I was having issues e-filing and wanted to speak to someone with "experience", I filed early because my husband is out of work and we needed to pay our bills. H&R Block advertises their cash advance up to $3000 which is why I decided to call them and see what they could do with the message I was receiving. I should have stuck to what I have done for years and file for free online and mail in my forms. The representative was not knowledgeable and I had to pretty much walk her through some of the write offs I was eligible for.

My return ended up almost being $6000. I almost lost it when she told me it was $350 for her "services" of coming up with the same amount I came up with on FreeTaxUSA.com. If I didn't need the money ASAP I would have just mailed them in. She did tell me that there was a chance that I could be declined but it was very slim and worst case I would just be approved for a lower amount. They only declined customers with outstanding tax debt, too much credit card debt but I did not fall under either of those categories. I honestly was not worried. The way she made it seem it was not going to be an issue and I would find out how much of my own money I would be approved for and that's the other funny thing it's a prepaid debit card not a credit card. It's paid out of my tax return and they charge for the service, withdrawals, the card. I do not see what they would be losing.

In the end I got an email saying I was not approved for an advance and paid to have that lady print out my returns, so for the paper and ink pretty much the only real service she offered. $350 for nothing. I feel very taken and sick to my stomach. This company takes advantage of those in need by offering this incentive but it's not. It's a scam! I just hope others get the full details of this advance. They should allow you to see if you will be approved for the card before they file your taxes. I would even be willing to pay the $39 that they charge for this "advance".

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

The RAL loans I think are a way to trap you into having them do your taxes so they will deny your loan while the customer is stuck paying close to $400.00 to have your taxes done. Also in the meantime my preparer didn't file certain forms which delayed my return from being accepted by IRS. They didn't catch the mistake for 8 days after I had them do my taxes. Also I asked my preparer to change my phone number which she never did. So I decided to call the manager of the location I filed at and they blamed the mistakes on the government. Then I called their corporate office and they also blamed others than accepting they made the mistake. To make a long stories short I will never use their service again or recommend their services to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I walked in to HR Block to get a quote on my on W2 tax refunds (besides WiFi problems waiting 2 hour). No biggie. The Woman Sat me down. Inform me about some knock off Cash Advance Card (if I waited a whole year, 21 days is fine for me). She punched in my Info. Gave me a quote 1,200 plus paying the company 150, Bs I did own taxes today my refund 4,300. Look if you're willing give your hard earned Money away go there, I would find a account or a tax company.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I have been doing my taxes with H&R Block and stucco early 2000s. This year I filed my taxes on January 10th. Got my refund back on January 29th. It was deposited in my account but it was not the right amount. Upon calling H&R Block for an answer why they shipped me from Department to Department to Department then tell me I have to go to a local office and find out why even though I did my taxes online. I plan on calling back a fifth time. I was told that I was issued in advance in 2011 that I knew was wrong because I have my taxes from 2011 and I did not so now I am in a fight with them to get my money.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

H&R Block advertises up to $3000 advance refund when you come into an office and file. The amount you get approved for is $500, $750, $1250 or $3000. I went in and filed, I DO NOT ITEMIZE. I was charged $399.00 for them to file for me (I have always filed online in the past to save money, but to do the advance, you must go into an office). My refund is going to be almost $7000... I was approved for $500 on an advanced refund!!! Ok, this is not an economical way to go. I would not have filed in an office to receive an advanced refund, if I had not needed some of my refund early. You do the math...They charge me $399.00 to prepare my return and then I'm only approved for $500.00... I'm getting $101.00 as an advanced refund!!! It doesn't pay to do this!!! I would have been better off waiting a few extra days on my entire refund and saving $399.99!!! DON'T DO IT... It's just a money making scheme for tax preparers!!!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I chose H&R Block on Main Street in Jacksonville, FL this year 2018. I had my doubts about them, but I gave them the benefit anyhow. A representative named Teela processed my refund. I had been going through a rough time financially. I explained this to the Rep as she began to fill out my paperwork. An advance was needed direly seeing that I have three babies at home that aren't even attending school yet. The Rep was not as knowledgeable as she had previously appealed. She messed up my paperwork, disqualifying me for the advance. Not to mention that this was the LOWEST refund I had seen in years. I try to explain to the "Manager" what had happened, and she caught an attitude with me and kept trying to speak over me like I had done something wrong!

My babies needed diapers, my house still doesn't have food. I had a few things riding on this advance. I call customer support. The Rep created a ticket and said someone would be contacting me about this issue. She said it would be expedited seeing that this wasn't my fault. A whole day passes and no one contacts me. I call them and another Rep tells me it'll be 7-10 business days before they research the issue. I guess my babies aren't their problem. I WILL NEVER ALLOW H&R BLOCK TO DEAL WITH MY TAXES AGAIN. THE TRUST HAS DISSIPATED. Unprofessional, uncaring and completely unacceptable! I am highly upset with such a well known and trusted company.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I went to H&R Block in Craig, Colorado. The office was dirty and unwelcoming. There is a TV in the waiting area that you cannot even hear. The wait time was very long even with an appointment. It seemed that the manager was mad at the world. She was rude to her employees and customers. She became frustrated when we asked questions and did not answer them or even try to get an answer. We have very limited choices in Hayden or Craig, Colorado. I would try making the drive to Steamboat Springs or Grand Junction. We walked out with more questions than we started with and then had to find another tax preparer. I would definitely use a CPA rather than the knockoffs at H&R Block.

H&R Block expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

H&R Block has prepared and filed more than 600 million tax returns since 1955 and although the online version is a more modern incarnation of this service, taxpayers can have peace of mind knowing that they are working with one of the most experienced tax service providers in the nation. In 2012, the company processed more than 25.6 million tax returns including 20 percent of the returns filed by low-income taxpayers that claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit.

• Variety: H&R Block offers several different packages that meet the needs of a wide variety of taxpayers - from a basic free file to a more complex return for a sole proprietor. H&R Block At Home customers can also grant access to a local H&R Block professional, which allows for more personalized support and assistance.

• Audit support: All packages, including the Free File option, come with free audit support and representation from an enrolled agent.

• Multiple refund options: Multiple refund options are available including direct deposit, refund anticipation checks and a prepaid MasterCard.

• Upsells: H&R Block uses refund anticipation checks. Refund anticipation checks come with higher fees and there are only certain instances in which this option is used.

• Basic package: The basic package is priced at $34.95.

• Best for: Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals, Sole Proprietors, Taxpayers with

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby

Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

H&R Block Company Information

www.hrblock.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use