1.17/5
Based on 151 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 23, 2018

2520 H&R Block Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 23, 2018

My daughter. They have done her taxes for the last two years wrong. Why pay for someone to get it so wrong. O well not their problem. I am the one recommended them. NOT HAPPY VERY. UPSET NOW. Now she has to pay a lot of money for their ** that she does not have. They were not cheap to get them done anyway.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Doing my taxes this year in Houston Texas for the first time since moving, I chose H & R Block. The biggest mistake of my life! The tax preparer had my refunded mailed in a check form instead of deposited in my bank account after giving her the information. Not only that, instead of putting my home address she puts my job address. Meanwhile, my job is in a shopping area called River Oaks and she did not put a suite number! How wonderful! She then told me to contact Emerald Card customer rep to change the address before it was mailed out May 2nd.

I get through to someone in customer service where I changed the address so the check is mailed to me. That night I receive an email from H & R Block stating my check was mailed and will be received in 7 days. I called that morning since the email was sent during the night and asked what address was on file and were they sure it was sent there instead of my job address. They explained they cannot see where it was sent out to but it should be the address on file. I asked can I have the check voided and just put into my account, they explained they could not and I had to wait until May 16 for the check to come to the address on file. (Which is suppose to be my home address) I spoke to the shopping center customer service to see what happens when mail has no suite and he explained they will just send it back.

Today, I get an email stating my check was sent back to H & R Block, how wonderful. Just like I thought. I call the number on the email and was very disappointed. I called back three times to speak to 3 different customer rep and 2 different supervisors. I still receive no information and do not even want to go through with my taxes anymore. They explained that I will have to fill out a form that will then take 3-5 business days to progress. I will then have to pick an option to receive my check and wait it out. Meanwhile it took 12 days to receive it. The worst part is they explained I could only get the form in person at two locations which is an hour away from my house. I have no car due to hurricane Harvey and do not know when I will be able to get the form. I was kind of depending on the money to get a new car. My daughter's birthday is in two weeks which is also not cool.

Dealing with the customer reps I have to say was the worst part. They felt no remorse of the situation and did not want to help. They never even apologize for a mistake that was made on their end and had an attitude the entire time including the supervisor. She even hung up on me! They repeated the same thing over and over again and had no information to give me. I was better off speaking to an automatic messager! I will never in my life file my taxes with this company or even get an Emerald Card. I deal with customers every day at work as a supervisor and will never treat anyone the way I was treated on the phone today. It’s disgusting that people do not do their job correctly and you are the one to pay! Next year, I will do it myself on Turbo Tax!

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2018

These "seasoned tax professionals" made an amateur's mistake and right at the 3 week mark waiting for my refund - I get a letter from those rogue pukes (IRS) stating a wrong form was used and therefore my refund will take 2 extra months. Two months (actually 3 months) have come and gone. I was unemployed and BROKE at the 3 week mark and wanted revenge on these inept morons, which I will do by trashing them on EVERY consumer complaint company I can find. I'm checking to see if I can take these bozos to small claims court.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I should have read the reviews before choosing H&R Block for filing taxes online. We have experienced one mistake after another and poor communication. I am still going in circles trying to get some significant mistakes corrected, yet they have already charged my debit card. My husband and I filed our taxes jointly, and he was listed as primary tax holder. That said, when I created the account with H&R Block I had my name, phone number, and email listed as primary contact because I have been handling all our tax documents.

When questions came up, the tax preparer consistently contacted my husband and not me, and he did not have all the tax information readily available and had to tell them to reach out to me, which they did... eventually. Additionally, when I initially submitted documents and first began the online process, there was nowhere on the website to input our child's SSN and a couple of other important data elements, resulting in yet more phone tag.

The most egregious mistake, however, is that I accidentally uploaded a 2016 W2 instead of a 2017 W2, and the preparer did NOT notice or catch the error. Instead, she completed the return with the wrong form. Any preparer who is paying attention should have immediately noticed that the form was for the wrong year, and she should have asked if we really meant to submit that document.

She totally missed it, and I did not have any knowledge of the (now compounded) mistake until I went online to approve/reject the return and found that the income was wrong by a significant amount. Another representative looked at my rejection comments and quickly identified the problem, but again, I did not receive a notification that she had responded because - despite my being told they had corrected the contact information - they emailed my husband instead of me, and it went to his spam folder, and I didn't think to look there. In short, it's mid-May and we are STILL trying to get all the errors corrected so that we can submit our return. I also feel strongly that we should not have been charged the full amount of $389 to prepare the return. This experience has been a disaster.

Original review: May 2, 2018

On March 7th I had noticed some unauthorized charges on my emerald card and immediately I contacted the bank and was told that my account would be closed till further investigation and that I could go the H&R Block office to retrieve my new card, as I did to wake only wake up the next morning and discovered that 7 more transactions that wasn’t authorized by me had went through. I was told that it would only take up to 10 to 20 days till my account would be replenished, well I called every day after the first 10 days had passed to be told by at least 10 different supervisors that my account would be replenished within 3 day, what a lie and joke.

This is the first time I have ever dealt with fraud, and I’m so disgusted by it all. I don’t know who's worse the fraud people or my bank. This is wrong and hope someone will be held responsible for misleading someone. But there is no hope for the little people. I have been doing my taxes with H&R Block for 11 years but not anymore. I’m done just from this experience alone. They can’t even contact me no matter how many times I call.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about H&R Block?

Original review: May 2, 2018

I had my taxes done in 2016 and 2017. In 2016 they put in an incorrect number for my salary and I had to return 4 times for them to make changes and to get it right. They charged 152.00. In 2017 I returned and this time it was a mess! I felt ganged up on, where more than 1 tax preparer was talking to me and they told me that it would cost 182.00 because I earned more money. I am on SS and a tiny pension and nothing changed from one year to another. Then she gave me the envelope, told me to mail it and now I will wait 6 wks. to get my refund, because she was too lazy to fill in for an electronic deposit which would take 3 wks. I felt bamboozled and when I left there I wondered how the heck they could have talked me into putting one return on their H&R Block credit card, which caused me problems and to get the other return by mail??? I felt like I'd been had and will NEVER go back to that company again.

Original review: April 30, 2018

Where to begin... My very first time with this company and they screwed up by doubling my HSA savings, had to come in the next day to get it fixed, then doubled something else, I gave them my DL so they could spell my name properly and they still spelled it wrong. They spelled it the Spanish version of Nicolas so now on forms I have to put this one instead of the correct spelling of my name. It was a complete nightmare.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Right from the beginning when I entered their office I felt it wasn't very professional. I explained to the agent that I have been approved to claim over the counter eye drops and gel for my disability. Every year I do a detailed spreadsheet with my medical claims and attach receipts. I have been doing this for over 10 years and the government has approved this. My first surprise was when I asked how much I would be charged and couldn't believe they were charging me almost $200, (this was after they had done the taxes). The next clue was after I had a call to make an appointment to pick up my taxes. So I made an appointment and then had another call to make an appointment. Had to cancel and made another one, again I had another 2 calls for me to make an appointment. So nobody seemed to know what anyone else was doing. But the worst was when we were going over the paperwork I notice they hadn't taken disability medical expenses.

Tried to explain it again but the agent was adamant that I couldn't claim over the counter expenses and also that the government wouldn't accept just the spreadsheet. So I picked up the envelope that I had given them to do my taxes and showed them the receipts I had admitted with the spreadsheet. Then I started to get mad because of the stupidity shown, so the agent called her supervisor who didn't once look at me, just told the agent to copy my receipts but not once told me what they were doing. I told them to pack up my information, because I didn't trust them to do my taxes. I had to sort out my receipts again because it was such a mess. That day I took it to a recommended tax accountant and he did it while I was there and only charged me $85. So with the correct figures I saved over $200. I am still mad because there are people who go to H&R Block that don't realize they are being scammed. How can the government allow this? Thanks.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I've used the disc format of their software for the past 5 years, but decided to try it online this year. I don’t recommend it. It was unclear whether or not I needed more than Basic until I started filling in 1099-B information. All of a sudden, I get a notice telling me if I want to continue I need to purchase Deluxe, with a button to agree or decline, and no information about how much extra it will cost. At that point, fearful of losing data I had entered, I agreed. Only later that day did I find out my cost went from zero to $43. That’s sneaky, and from now on I am sticking with discs for my purchase. I prefer to know what I am getting before paying for it.

Then when I finished, the software refused to submit my 1040 online, saying that I didn't have my AGI correct. I know it was correct, because I had ordered the IRS transcript of my previous two years taxes and had it on the same screen on my computer. I complained to their customer service, but all I got was the reply that I had to print it and mail it in. So the online version failed in two ways -saving money and reducing post office distress.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I went in for assistance because I wanted to get a good return and was having trouble with doing it at home with TurboTax with the new ride sharing tax codes. I went in with all my information including a print out of what I did on TurboTax so far. I was not told any prices. I was told I would get a better return with them. I would not have accepted their assistance if I had known they would take over 2/3rds of my tax return $440. I filed a complaint on 4/11/18 and was given the case number #** and told I would be contacted in 3-5 business days. It is now 4/24/18 and I have yet to be contacted by e-mail or phone despite calling the district office manager Marque ** and leaving a message with him directly on 4/23/18.

Original review: April 18, 2018

So I went to H&R Block today and it was ok... the only cons I have are that for 1 they didn't give me the option to pay for the H&R Block fees with my refund. It was 145$... and one other con... they didn't give me the option for my refund to be direct deposited into my account. I looked to see if they did and there were x's where the account number and routing number should have been. Ok so the pros... they were very nice... tried to help me. As I said the H&R Block fee was 145$ and I was freaking out inside and they just had me pay 40$. I hope that I get a check for my refund... if anyone knows please email me at **.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Let me start off by saying my husband has used this company every tax season for 10 years, we have been loyal customers. I know tax season is stressful and no one likes it, but every single person I spoke with at H&R Block today (whether calling a specific office or dealing with the 1-800 number) were not helpful and rude. We are very disappointed in how they handle their customers and our important, time sensitive information. We will not use H&R Block again.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I made an appointment with H&R Block... The papers I had were W-2 and 2 1099 MISC. As she was done inputting all the numbers my total came out to be 5$ refund. I knew it was going to be low. Here's comes the check for paying H&R Block. $381!!! Are you kidding me? I seen on her computer that last year's payment to file was 106$... Please someone enlighten me on how I had to pay $381 with my refund being 5$ and it only took 30 minutes? Are you kidding me right now?!?Yeah I’ll give you a piece of my mind!

Original review: April 15, 2018

I was completing my online return with H&R Block when their system crashed and I lost all the information I had inputted. They offered to refund the fees, which they did. But, they refuse to refund the associated sales-tax. This makes no sense!

Original review: April 14, 2018

Beware of errors caused by the software while completing your return! I was only able to discover the error by reviewing the PDF Pre-file Summary. This review was only available because I had paid for the highest cost "Protection" level software. Otherwise I would never have been able to find the error in the software's calculations. While completing my 2017 Return, I had selected the option to download all of my data from CRA My Account. This auto-populated all the related fields. Fortunately I later decided to review the PDF Pre-File under the Wrap Up tab.

I found a significant error on my Schedule 3 which resulted in a resulting error to my refund. The software had doubled the proceeds from the sale of an investment! The reason: While completing the Investment portion of the Return the software produced an error message caused by the auto-download of my T5008 form. It would not accept the format for Quantity of Shares due to the number of decimal places on the original form. I corrected the number as required. The software saw this one entry as a second MANUAL entry of ALL data from the T5008 form. It then doubled all of the related amounts resulting in my Capital Gains being twice what they should have been.

This doubling of data was not displayed anywhere and no notices were produced. Customer Service was not able to find the cause of the error or correct it. I was required to PURCHASE their "Expert Review" service in order to correct the problem. ( I worked with CRA to confirm the error and the proper data). The Expert Reviewer then walked me through correcting the software error. H&R Block has agreed to refund my cost of the Expert Review due to the software error. IMPORTANT: Clients who purchased the lower level of software would not have been able to find this error unless they were very familiar with Capital Gains calculations. I warned H&R staff that there could be many more clients with the same errors who would never notice them.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Went into the local H&R Block office today to file my taxes. You hand the front girl your documents and she creates your packet. When we started with the representative, they asked where the other W2 was... I had given it to the first person. They LOST my W2. And gave zero apologies. I even looked in my car and went home and looked. The envelope it came in was there but not the document. They still had no apology and continued to act like it wasn’t their fault.

Original review: April 13, 2018

A less than zero for effort in all areas from wanting to understand how my business runs, not responding to communications from me or my bookkeeper, to them saying she doesn't with my bookkeeper who has been involved in my business from day 1 and knows it inside out and then refuses to take another look at my return she completed in 10 minutes to see where she could improve on it before tax day!!! Is this for real? H&R Block clearly don’t feel it’s important to have in their employ the very best in tax agents! I’m gobsmacked in the lack of care and want to help!

Original review: April 13, 2018

Tax filer gave wrong information during appointment, when question about it. She said her boss told her. She stated I didn't qualify for the school credit. When I checked IRS website, I did meet requirements for credit. H&R Block charged me a $50 consult fee. They ignored my concerns requesting payment. Did not stand behind max refund guarantee. Filers are not up to date with current tax credits given to customers and do not provide correct information.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I have been a user of H&R Block Tax Cut for 20 years and never had a problem until now. I purchased the program because my investment company and H&R Block both said they worked together for downloads. Bought the program and my investment company is not listed. Contacted customer support and they were no help. Basically if my company isn't listed, they don't work with each other. I will no longer buy H&R Block Tax Cut.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I went into H&R Block to file my taxes today and in the past have always done it online. Online, I have normally been given a bit a significant return and the whole process has been painless. When I went inside the building and asked for assistance, Karen ** reluctantly offered to help me since she had a no show. For the next twenty minutes I continually corrected her as she printed out forms with my name misspelled multiple times and entered in wrong amounts.

At the end she told me that I owed a huge amount (even though my Income has not changed significantly in the past few years) and that their services would cost me $350! When I said that that seemed ridiculous as I had only been here for 29 minutes, she corrected me that it had been closer to 25. Karen ** was unprofessional and I do not trust that she even filed my taxes correctly. Apparently, H&R Block charges $350 for one tax return that takes 20 minutes. Never again will I go into it recommend H&R.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I went to my local H&R Block here in Brooklyn and they gave me the run around. The day I went in to file my taxes the worker NEVER mentioned "peace of mind" So a few weeks later I hadn't received my state return because I was missing documents. When I bought those missing documents in, another worker said she couldn't help me because I didn't purchase the peace of mind and that if I want to be helped I would need to pay $99.00. I told her, "Well if the First Lady who helped me from the start would have mentioned to me about peace of mind I would have got it". But no one said anything and she was acting like it's my fault, saying a lot of people don't like to use that because too much money.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Went in for personal and business taxes. Was told it would take one week. After waiting a week and a half, called to see what was going on, was told they put my taxes on the "back burner", and it would take longer. After 2.5 weeks, got a call from the accountant. Well calmly telling her my displeasement, she told me my taxes were too complicate, it was my fault, and if I was not happy with it I could come get my paperwork and go elsewhere... Best $400 ever spent... Just don't, don't use these guys, just don't do it. Save yourself any anxiety and headaches, just don't, go elsewhere. 100% honest this happened. I'm just shocked this company is still in business.

Original review: April 10, 2018

H&R Block 2017 tax season. The tax pro was very knowledge and patient as I didn't understand some of the new tax slips (T5008) and how it is reported. I had to pay taxes for the very first time in 10 years but the tax pro explained the reasons why and I actually understood! I'm definitely coming back next year!

Original review: April 10, 2018

I looked on the website and viewed the cost of an average return - between 147 and 191 dollars. I thought this was reasonable. They stated the cost of the federal and state return. I am retired with a low income, although I do have two states returns and a 1099. In the past with the same returns, I paid $250.00 charged by a CPA. The advisor said they would be more expensive - when I asked why he said they were professionals. I thought they might cost an extra $50.00. Keep in mind all the papers were organized. After finishing the return in an hour, he said the return would cost $601.00. I said that was almost 1% of my yearly salary. I told him I had spoken to numerous friends with much more complicated and no one paid close to this amount. I asked him to call the supervisor. They reduced the fee to $490.00. WHAT A RIPOFF! NEVER AGAIN! THEY SHOULD BE PROSECUTED.

Original review: April 10, 2018

The Golden Gate Ave H&R Block office in SF did my 2016 return. Specifically Edwin **. He neglected to include half of my dividends (1099 form) and this resulted in an under reporting of a lot of taxes and a penalty of over $7,000. I paid for the Peace of Mind provision (and yes, I am sure you know that I will now refer to that as the Peace of ** provision). Anyway, my claim with H&R block was rejected because they claim they did not receive my 1099's (of course I gave them all of my tax documents because all of my investments are from the same company, Vanguard and that company provides a single document containing all dividend payments for the year). When I initially spoke with Edwin about this he acknowledged the error and apologized and he in fact initiated my claim.

But no, the company denies receiving these forms. My advice, scan and email all docs you plan to send to this company if you plan on using them. And to make matters worse, I tried to file an amended 1040 (1040X) at another H&R Block office on Van Ness and Armine ** filled that out incorrectly and underreported my adjusted taxes by over $30,000. Total nightmare. So now I am stuck with a $7,000 tax penalty, nearly $2,000 in interest and of course the privilege of paying H&R Block several hundred dollars for this privilege. Risking sounding like a crazy person DO NOT USE H&R BLOCK! I am also investigating the PTIN certification that businesses need to have with the IRS in order to earn income from preparing tax returns.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I have been with H&R Block for years! I moved 6 mos. ago and had to file in 2 states. I went to the office on Main in Las Cruces NM and the gal there said I didn't owe anything in NM. I argued with her and said, "But I have lived here for 6 mos". I bought a house here and paid property taxes. She said I was fine. All my taxes were paid in Arizona. I was worried so I asked the manager for a second look. She said she would look at it. A week later, I called and she said she would send it to someone who could file in both states. She said not to worry because I paid for "peace of mind" which I should get a check for the tax amount I paid H&R Block plus any mistakes. That took several weeks because no one would return my calls.

I finally made an appointment with the lady who had my taxes and brought her the other mtg. premiums the other tax lady told me not to do anything with. The new tax lady then had to redo everything to fix that! Well, peace of mind denied my claim saying it was fixed within 30 days. So the manager lied, peace of mind doesn't really help you, and they really don't care that I have been with them for years. I am never using them again! I will gladly give my money to a competent tax company who values me as a customer.

Original review: April 9, 2018

The cost of completing a simple tax claim is outrageous. Definitely have remorse for paying such high fees. Their ad starting price was under $60, my cost was $250. I have one dependent, no business or income to claim. I came to them because I am a new citizen and newly divorced and wanted help filing. Never again. Please check for all the fees before using their service. Wish I did!

Original review: April 9, 2018

They mislead people by offering free. I am asked to pay $240 online after completing taxes on my own which their program says is accurate, but then they lure you into paying more and more money, trying to get all of your tax returns in my iPhone. Last I heard it is illegal to offer free and not provide what you offer.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I have been using H & R block since 1999, every year for Tax Return for myself and my other family members. This year we filled our Tax Return on 25, March 2018 (Sunday). Betty ** charged $ 20 plus regular Tax Return fee for three year peace of mind policy. To claim one of my family member "Disability Tax Credit" (Disability Tax Credit) Betty ** printed out, half filled forms, and asked us, to take these forms to our family doctor to fill it.

After filling the DTC form by our family doctor, we visited H&R Block office three times. First, and second time my wife and yesterday I went by myself to give DTC form back to Betty **, but she refused to take DTC forms and told you have to send it by myself. Also she told me this is not her part of job to send these forms to Revenue Canada. What is this kind of Peace of Mind services provided by H&R Block? My second question is "If we have to send and claim DTC by our self then why we have to pay Tax return fee and on the top $ 20 for Peace of Mind charges?" I have decided, we are not using H & R Block services in future. I also recommend to the people, who read it, Do not use their service.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I encouraged my daughter to file her taxes even though she only made $2000.00 on eBay and has no other income. She took her paperwork to H&R Block in Punta Gorda, FL and was charged $350.00 dollars to file. Something is wrong with this picture. The preparer kept telling her that she needed to file all these additional forms. What is going on with outrageous fee. I have a very complicated form with investments, rentals, farm income and all I paid last year is $300 dollars.

H&R Block expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

H&R Block has prepared and filed more than 600 million tax returns since 1955 and although the online version is a more modern incarnation of this service, taxpayers can have peace of mind knowing that they are working with one of the most experienced tax service providers in the nation. In 2012, the company processed more than 25.6 million tax returns including 20 percent of the returns filed by low-income taxpayers that claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit.

• Variety: H&R Block offers several different packages that meet the needs of a wide variety of taxpayers - from a basic free file to a more complex return for a sole proprietor. H&R Block At Home customers can also grant access to a local H&R Block professional, which allows for more personalized support and assistance.

• Audit support: All packages, including the Free File option, come with free audit support and representation from an enrolled agent.

• Multiple refund options: Multiple refund options are available including direct deposit, refund anticipation checks and a prepaid MasterCard.

• Upsells: H&R Block uses refund anticipation checks. Refund anticipation checks come with higher fees and there are only certain instances in which this option is used.

• Basic package: The basic package is priced at $34.95.

• Best for: Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals, Sole Proprietors, Taxpayers with

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby

Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

H&R Block Company Information