H&R Block

Compare Tax Services

Research top Tax Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

The guys don't the basic tax calculation even you provide them all documents. I have first and last worse experience ever and want my money back which I have paid for service. As you are fail to provide the service. They have calculated more tax after providing all documents due to tax I have suffered a lot and calculated my own tax. I have wasted my time and money to discuss the details of return. I have registered with them to verify my return details. At the end, I have to verify their tax details and found so many mistake and file tax return without discussing further in order fail to file my return. Please don't pay them till the time you don't get the complete return summary. They will just showcase their policy. In order to start the service. There is no guarantee you will get the right return calculations. After making the payment. Stay away from these fake C.A. It is better to consult with you can pay them.

I purchased Peace of Mind. I got an Audit Letter last month. I called them and they told me they didn't have anyone to represent me. When I kept emailing and texting them they gave me someone and told me they would come to my appointment. Michelle ** the agent did not show up. I had to go to the meeting myself and ended up owing money. The office I used is in Mantus N.J.

I think that once a person uses search engines to obtain information online about Block, they will see that complaints against them number in the thousands! No doubt there are many other complaints never posted online. My post may be a bit different or more general than the rest. First and foremost they are hateful at the first contact with you and it is obvious that they just don't care about you as a person from the onset. Next is that they are overcharging everyone. Two years ago, I went to an accountant who had a promotional rate of a Maximum of $159.00 for all but the most complicated 1040's for the first year only. My bill with him for this was $125.The second year, he charged me $159.00. My 1040 actually had some complexity to it. Unfortunately the man died, so this is how I met Block.

They charged me about $350.00 for the same services. They are dishonest thieves! They make a lot of mistakes since I got a letter from the IRS about their return errors. Fortunately they were small. The man who did my taxes, "Bob **", stated that he was a C.P.A., but it turned out that he has a degree in Business Mgmt. instead. I don't think Block employs any CPA's, just people that they gave a crash course to off the street. They were also rude to my wife who is the sweetest person in the world. I told them at the onset that my wife was on an extended visit out of state and that I didn't know when they could verify her existence (their rules, not IRS's). They assured me this was OK, but after a few days, they began calling me wanting my wife to present herself with I.D., and I finally gave in to their bugging and had to file single.

This cut my refund by $1300.00, and cost me another $200 per an accountant when I had to refile with a married status change. Beware, these people are stricter than the IRS and protect themselves only, so they may not allow you a legitimate deduction. These people are all about themselves and none about anyone else!!! I shall never use them again. Furthermore, I intend to bad-mouth them loudly every chance I get. I know most of the wealthy and prominent people here since I come from one of the oldest families in town. By the time that I am through with them, they will wish that they had never breathed my name.

We have been getting our taxes done at H&R Block for 12 years. Each year we pay for their peace of mind claim that if we are audited they would stand behind their work. They would help fill out a letter for the IRS explaining what was done on the tax return. Well lo and behold we got an IRS notice for our 2014 tax return stating we owed $6396.00 in back taxes plus penalties and interest. These taxes were done in Woodstock, GA in 2014 and we had moved to Staunton, VA in 2016. We went to the H&R Block office to get help. I was told she could not do anything. I would have to write a letter stating how I did my business expenses. I first called the lady in Georgia Daphne ** and told her what happened. She said tax season was over and she could not help. I asked her how she figured my short pay deductions. She said she listed them as short paid freight bills. But on my return or in their system it was not listed.

She said that was the year H&R Block was getting a new computer system and they were not listed. So well we had our taxes done at an H&R Block in Staunton, VA by Richard **. It took him 6 days to do our taxes. Said they were complicated. We asked him about the audit. He said he would try and do it. Well we thought it over and decided he will say this is too complicated too. So I call H&R Block headquarters in Kansas city, MO. They referred us to a man named Richard in Harrisonburg, VA so I went to see him on Saturday and was there every bit of 20 minutes before he said he would refer me to a woman in Charlottesville, VA who could handle it. Talked to her once and again got nowhere. All of the tax experts and everything is complicated. So I called H&R Block corporate again and they gave me a woman in Woodstock, GA by the name of Fonda **. I discussed my case.

At first it seemed she was going to be able to help. Said she would write a letter to the IRS stating what was done on the tax return. A week or so went by and I ended up calling her. She wanted all the info from the IRS stating what I owed so I sent her all the info and copies of my short pay spread sheet showing deductions from my commission margins. The amount was over $28,000.00. So I ended up calling her to see how it was going and she said she revised my 2014 tax return along with an explanation of my business expenses. She sent me the return and it was terrible. She showed me owing the IRS the amount I originally got from the IRS and her explanation was terrible. We took all of this info to a licensed CPA in Staunton, VA and he said not to send the revised return as the IRS already had all this info.

So I called her and she said, "Sign and send in the return and pay the taxes owed but we cannot guarantee we will be able to get you a claim settlement for the amount of taxes owed." She said, "Maybe we can refund the amount you paid to have the return done." And she also said she could not send a letter stating an explanation of my business expenses because they are not deductible. I told her we had been doing the same business expenses for 9 years and no problems. She said she could not help me any further.

So today we got a certified letter from the IRS dated 7/17/17. A letter of deficiency for $ 6887.00 to be paid. I just talked to a lady named Helen at H&R Block in Woodstock, GA and she says I cannot file a peace of mind claim as I was not allowed the deductions I took. H&R Block has been sued several times on their peace of mind claims. I am going to be no different. This issue with H&R Block needs to be dealt with. Why are consumers paying $40.00 each year for peace of mind and there is really no peace of mind at all.

I have filed taxes with H&R Block for at least the last 5-7 years. I filed with them for my 2016 taxes. The H&R Block tax preparer put in the incorrect information for my alimony payments which caused me to have an overpayment. I paid an additional fee for the Peace of Mind offered by H&R Block and have been recently denied by H&R Block. The reasons are not true, they claim I did not meet the 60 day limitations to make a claim; and that I did not request representation from them. Firstly the state brought their error to my attention; secondly I went back to their office and the same H&R Block tax preparer still did not detect his error on my 2016 federal tax return.

It took getting more information from the state when I sent them all the information they requested to determine H&R Block had put the wrong amount in the 2016 federal income tax return for my alimony payments. I then went back to H&R Block and filed for my Peace of Mind claim and it has taken them 8 weeks to determine they are denying the claim under false accusations. Where is the integrity, commitment, loyalty to customers they advertise about? The Peace of Mind is a piece of crap! I would think long and hard before using H&R Block. H&R Block is not the prestige company they represent themselves to be. Wolves they are... WOLVES... Beware people!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about H&R Block?

I filed my taxes with them online. They are in possession of my refund and won't give it to me. No explanation given. I've called everyday. They keep transferring me from client relations to the Emerald Card department back and forth with no help whatsoever. So I want to start a class action lawsuit against them. If anyone interested please call me #**. I'm not sure about anyone else but I have proof from the IRS that they have my money over $8000 dollars.

On 2/27/17 went to Springhurst office (Lou, KY.) to have simple 1040 completed. Received letter from IRS that I needed 1095 to complete my filing. Called office mgr., she stated to bring in the next day, and all would be handled. When I arrived her demeanor was totally different, she made it seem like our fault, so I walked out and called the 800 #. I was directed to take my taxes to the Hikes Lane office, who up to this date of 7/10/17 has attempted to prepare them 4 times.

Each and every time that I've walked out of that office I was assured this would be my last trip there, (but also each time I have owed more money to the Federal portion). I paid $ 436.25 for simple 1040's, now when this happened at the very 1st appointment I should have kindly said, "no thank you", but my taxes were prepared and I kinda felt obligated at that point, NEVER again. Guess that's why they don't give you a cost prior to doing your taxes, scam! Today however, upon going AGAIN to the Hikes Lane office, the man who has been working on my taxes all of these months was not there (he has gone home to India for a visit). How convenient.

The office mgr., Mary ** tried to help me, 1st I asked her for the phone number of her supervisor (the district mgr), it took her 10 mins to find it, and she tried to distract me from getting it by flipping thru my tax return, and asking questions. I phoned her supervisor in front of her, explained the situation, and also stated that I would no longer accept 1/2 my amount back that I paid for tax preparation, I wanted a full refund. He had NO CLUE that I was even due a refund! I also asked him for the contact information for their regional director, and was instructed that he was as far as I could go. Now Mary gave me this look of a deer in highlights, and when I said that out loud, she was so offended that she refused to help me. She claimed that I was the rudest person that she had ever met and showed me to the door, leaving me to feel as if at that point I had nowhere to go.

So let's recap that, I have spoken to this lady on the phone and sat down with her in her office more than twice in the past 4 months, but because I have now had enough and was given a blank stare when I was asking simple questions that any office mgr should be able to assist with, suddenly I am the rudest person on earth, in fact so rude that she escorts me out of her facility. She did not refuse to help me because I was too rude, she refused to help me because this has become such a mess that she (the mgr) has no clue how to resolve it. She pulled up my information on the screen and began to ask me tax questions. I replied "this is your area, not mine, that's why I went to a preparer in the 1st place." H&R Block is clueless...

I tried H&R Block for the first time earlier this year. Despite having an appointment, we waited for about 45 minutes before our tax professional was available. The process once we got in was ok, however I just got a letter stating that I owe them over $500. After calling them and reviewing the documents, I found out they made an error when filing my taxes, which resulted in me owing this money. They are taking no responsibility for their error. I will not be working with them again.

H&R Block Halifax Nova Scotia have completed my company and personal tax return for some years now. They completed my personal tax return then in May I called talked to the person who usually files my company tax return, he told me he would get it done the next week and call me to come in. Well he never has to date although I have called and left messages for him. At one call I talked to the reception desk, she assured me Mr. ** had been given my messages on many occasions and did not know why he has not talked to me. She check again. I needed my company tax return completed. H&R Block has all my past files. Mr. Robert ** has behaved very unprofessional on this matter. He has not given any explanation for his action to date, nor returned my call or set up an appointment to get it done. WTF.

Money stolen from my account twice. I have done my taxes myself through the H&R Block website for the past five years. They send me my emerald card and I always have got my money on time and never had any issues with anything. Until this year I filed my taxes, got my card, money was right on time... But as I slowly spend some of my $5000.00 tax return on my bills knowing I hadn't spend all of my money I go to the ATM to withdrawal money. I had $400.00 left when I should have had over $3600.00 left and then I wake up the next morning and had $5.00 left. So as I check my transactions. I see that someone has spent $3236.38 at 3 different locations in Korea. So I look up the companies to find that only one of the companies even existed and the other two was not even real. So I reported the fraudulent transactions which there were 23 of them.

I called the 866 number on the back of my card and the woman I spoke to didn't really even want to hear what I was saying. She kept interrupting me and trying to confuse me and she said she would email me a paper to sign and return to them which I never received because I told her specifically to send it to my new email which I gave her and it never came. Usually an investigation takes about 20 days but what was weird was in 6 days they put $3236.38 on my card without me signing anything or hearing from them again. It was like the woman knew why I was calling and just fixed the problem real quick. So as I'm slowly spending my money I had just got back on my bills and stuff I go and try to buy my daughter a pair of shoes and my card was declined so I try to get into my H&R Block acct and I had been blocked from it.

So I finally figure out a way to see my transactions and sure enough I see all these transactions that I didn't make for 3 different places in Korea and one place was connected to the first store from the first fraud claim and the other two do not exist. So two times my card was hacked into even after getting a new card and pin number. I'm waiting now for an investigation and papers were sent and signed and returned this time. But I'm having a hard time trying to figure out who could be doing this and if any way possible I can keep it from happening to someone else.

The names of the companies from the first time this happened are Goya Direct which is a company that exist and the other two where RefferDunny and Tomlinstrade and then the 2nd time the companies names were Boketto International and Curnrub and then PFA Dangjen. So keep an eye out for any of these kinds of transactions on your statement. I need help to find out how this even happened and I'm not sure if it was someone from Mastercard or from H&R Block since both companies are tied to the card. So please help if anyone has went through something like this.

OK, I filed on 02/25/2017. After filing was completed there was a posting that said my return was accepted by the IRS. It didn't say it was accepted by H&R Block, it said accepted by the IRS. I checked the site frequently and after a couple of months I started to become a little concerned because other family members had already gotten their returns. Now it's June, almost 5 months later. I checked the site a couple of days ago and still "Your return has been accepted by the IRS". I paid a little extra to have someone there go over everything to make sure it was in order so I gave her a call, she did pick up after the second ring and told me she was having a problem with her computer and would call me back in a half hour. She never called back and when I returned to the site, where the posting was that said my return had been accepted was now saying my return had been rejected.

When I left her a message on the site she responded by saying she had reached out to me by phone to tell me the return had been rejected. She must've used the same number she used to call me back in the half hour because there was no message from her in my phone nor was her number in my phone so that was obviously not true. So now I've been misled and lied to. Now I have to wait an additional 8 to 21 days for my return that they said was again accepted by the IRS. Don't know whether or not to believe them. I'm taking care of someone in my family who has health issues and don't know why my original claim was rejected but at this point because of financial obligations can't afford to take the time to fight it so I've agreed to the revised amount.

I'm a manager in the hotel business and if you make a reservation with me 5 months ago and arrive at my hotel and I don't have a room for you you would have every reason to be very upset with me and not only would you never want to stay at my property again, you would tell all your friends and family to never stay and would also go to TripAdvisor and rip me apart. I know this is what it is and there is nothing I can do about this... I will never however use their services again and even though I can't tell anyone else what to do, please read this and all the other letters and make an informed decision.

At 6100 Montana Ste B. You will face 2 female associates...**. They know Spanish & English. They don't have entire information when it comes down to Child Support & other parent. If you sign document giving right for other parent to file for their kid.. They suggest you do. OMG they have no idea how mother or father of child will have legal problems. Don't be fooled!!!

Called them to do a 1040X SIMPLE amendment, explained fully the situation. Was quoted $49.00. PERIOD. No, "well it could be more." When she finished she said that will be $149.00, H&R Block customer service said, "Yes that's excessive, we'll have someone call you and explain." HUH? So the person that called me said, "That's what we charge now." Should be a Class Action suit against them. They have an extremely bad reputation, and well earned. The preparers have to be on commission. And then they have someone call you to "explain" like you are ignorant, I think not.

They prepared my taxes. And I ask the man the gentlemen preparing my taxes if I could use the router and account numbers on my tax forms to pay my online credit card and my wife and me both heard him say yes. So we got a advanced in payment. Which came through so when we got our taxes paid my credit card waited for 2 business days to go by. The card was paid. Used the cards to pay off all the debts we had then came back that the payment didn't go through and now my debt has double. We called H&R and they told us take 10 business days to get back to us.

It's been almost a month and the local office here in town is open on Tuesday from 8 to 4 and so I got to take a day off to go take care of this which I can't really afford so now I may have to get a lawyer to sue for damages which I wasn't going to, but now after all the stress that this has called to me and my wife I don't care. They didn't even have the common decency to call and say the are sorry or tell us they would make it right so this will be the last time I let any business of any kind get away with ripping me off. It a shame. I work hard for what I have and I don't want a hand out but it high time this company pay for it mistakes. We as common folk don't get to get away with stealing. Why should any company be able to rip us off. I guess if you are rich you get away with everything.

Where do you guys get off ripping people off especially people who have a reading and learning disability? You guys took $300 of someone's hard earned money for 20 minutes worth of key strokes. Whole return was only $702 call. That person also filed on April 6 and still hasn't received all of his money. Nobody has been able to explain how you guys came up with this fee. He has went up to the local branch 4 times and called customer service 3 times. Absolutely nothing nor anyone can explain why so much for just a simple 10-40ez. I don't know about everyone else but I like to look pretty before I get screwed. Maybe H&R Block should start handing out nice shades of lipstick with each tax return!

I know my review is sort of too late but I wanted to tell you what I went through during the 2015 tax season with H&R Block. I live in a small "but growing" city called Kalamazoo Michigan. There's a H&R Block on a busy road called Westnedge here. I had called this H&R Block a day in advance to see if they would welcome drop in since it was in the middle of the work week and it was in the afternoon "assuming that this is when they are the least busiest." The lady had told me to come on in and they could help me out. The next day I did just that, and the fat lady who looked like she had zero experience took 1 look at me and told me "sorry... you'll have to make an appointment."

I looked around in that empty office and asked: "why do I have to wait when you told me to come on in?" She didn't know how to answer that question and insisted to come back 1 week later. I needed my taxes filed so I took her 1 week piece of paper appointment and told her I'll be back because this time I'm locked in and there's no turning back. Well I was with my girlfriend that day I walked in. After we went back to the car my girlfriend started to call the other H&R Blocks in the area to see if anyone else had an open spot. My g/f accidentally called the one on Westnedge and got the same fat lady who wanted me to come back in 1 week.

Guess what? Because it was my sweet sounding girlfriend making the call, the fat lady from the desk told my girlfriend she could come in TODAY "NOT 1 week later" and that there was an open spot right now. I was flabbergasted by this. The fat lady turns ME down because I'm a man, but doesn't turn my girlfriend down because she's a WOMAN. H&R Block is sexist and me or my girlfriend will never EVER do business with H&R block again... EVER!! They are lucky they don't get sued for discrimination. Well that's all I have to say about this crap business. I guess if you're a lady this business is for you. But watch out for lesbian workers there.

DO NOT! I repeat, DO NOT PATRONIZE H&R Block, especially the Harrisville, Utah office. The tax preparer, Tracy **, misfiled our taxes in 2015 and 16 under the wrong Tax ID number. We had two returns, a trust and our personal returns to have prepared. I trusted her to know what to do, especially with the trust account. I wrongly had confidence in her "expertise". Boy, was I wrong. I didn't find out until this April 2017 that the Utah Tax Commission had no record of any trust account returns filed in our name in either 2015 or 2016. I called the tax commission several times to ask why we had not received our refund for tax year 2016 and each time they could not find any evidence of any refund for 2016.

To make a long story short, after some investigation, this April 2017 the tax commission notified us that the tax preparer misfiled our 2015 and 2016 returns under mine and my spouse's social security numbers instead of the trust account tax ID number as she should have. As a result, in 2016 we received a tax refund of $2160.00 for tax year 2015, we were not supposed to have because the preparer misfiled our returns under the wrong ID number. The tax preparer, Tracy **, refuses to make it right as does the corporate office in Kansas City, Missouri. As a result, because of the preparer's mistake, we will have to reimburse the state for the erroneous 2015 state tax refund. Tracy did not warn us that the $2160 refund was issued in error nor did the tax commission give us any notification.

A tax commission agent called me a week ago to demand we reimbursement of the $2160.00, paid to us in error for tax year 2015. Tracy ** and H&R Block know we owe the money due to her mistake, but she and the H&R Block refuse to reimburse us for the $2160.00 tax filing mistake. Tracy ** was rude, belligerent and uncooperative when I emailed her to request that she reimburse us for the mistake. I have had to file a complaint with H&R Block company headquarters and have another H&R Block tax prep specialist reprocess our tax returns. What a nightmare! And who knows if we will get reimbursement for our tax preparation "specialist's" stupid mistake!

Today, May 30, 2017 I called the H&R Block complaints department to follow up. They refuse to reimburse us and wash their hands of the matter. Tracy will do no more than reimburse us for the penalties incurred for late payment for taxes owed to the tax commission for tax year 2016. H&R complaints backs her up. A certified public accountant whom I have had prepare our taxes in previous years says he carries insurance for just such occasions. If a client owes due to a mistake he has made, the insurance covers him. He says the H&R Block should be held responsible. The tax commission agent says I should go after Tracy ** for the $2160.00, but that I am ultimately responsible for the debt to the state of Utah.

Rudeness + Incompetence = Increased Income?!? Today, I assisted a elderly gentleman in setting up his online account in order to print his 2015 & 2016 tax returns as his wife passed away this year and she used to manage all of their records. His online account stated that there were no tax records. I spoke with the technical department which stated that as he had his records done in office that there was nothing they could do about it as it is a different computer system than they work with. They passed me on to customer relations who assured us that as we had exhausted all options we would not have to pay $50 to have the records printed if the gentleman went to the 3262 Central Ave E, St. Petersburg FL office as his regular office is closed.

We were advised that customer relations would send a message to that message under the gentleman's name to waive the fee. I advised the gentleman to call to make sure they got the message from customer relations before heading there. He called and passed the phone to me, to explain the situation the manager, resulting in the manager adamantly stating that she refused to waive the fee under any circumstances as "customer relations doesn't matter because they are not in retail and do not know how much it costs to buy paper and ink. Also customers are responsible to keep track of the papers given out at their appointment. He must pay $50 if he wants it printed or he can go to his online account."

I again stated that we already opened his account and there were no tax records. The manager then stated that she guessed that the 4922-A 38 Ave N., St. Petersburg, FL 33710 office didn't upload the documents but still refused to waive the fee. I asked who I could escalate this matter to but she stated that she is the manager and there is no one else I could speak to.

In the end the elderly gentleman was forced to take a trip to the office and pay $50 to get his tax returns. Afterwards he stated that's life and it's only $50. It may be a small fee but it the principle of it that concerns me. Afterwards, on my own, I tried to make a complaint to customer relations but I was cut off stating that they couldn't do anything without speaking to the elderly gentleman. Of course, he is a gentleman and would never complain but something must be done about this.

The elderly are being taken advantage because H&R Block employees who don't do their jobs uploading documents into the online system means extra income to H&R Block in the form of fees; likely the reason no one cares about competence at H&R Block. I would write H&R Block but I'm sure I'd get the same reply as customer relations; something like 'We can't do anything because this letter isn't from the customer'. Ultimately, H&R Block employees were technically incompetent, deceptive, rude, discredited their own internal departments, pointed the finger to blame other offices, refused to provide a chain of command for resolving matters, and were heartless in a truly sad extenuating circumstance.

We were audited by the IRS and took the letter and the year in question to the manager of the Collierville TN store. She said she would take care of the mistakes. We did not hear from her for months and she would not return our calls. After 6 months we found out that our 3 yrs of returns had been lost by her. The Company could not verify where they were and the person responsible Polly ** refused to respond to their inquiry. It is now over a year, our papers with all our personal info is still not been found and there has been no response from corporate. This is criminal.

This is quite possibly the worst service ever received. We used H&R Block for our business to lodge BAS and PAYG. Their invoices showed almost $400 of unexplained bookkeeping fees. They could not explain these fees after asking repetitively what they were for, after some time they came to the conclusion that they were quarterly installments for the tax return at the end of the financial year so that the bill at that time would not be so much. That would have a been a great idea had they discussed this with us first and could have given us a straight answer to start with. I am still quite sure that this was not the case. They were trying to rip us off.

We also paid a lump upfront sum when starting up the business which was to have help with any bookkeeping needs whenever necessary. This seems to not exists to them as every time we contacted them they were charging us. They said business comes first, before personal taxes however that was so not the case. I needed to ask a few simple questions about superannuation and it took weeks of calling and being told I'd get a callback before I was finally helped. They then tried to say I was lying and that never happened, they have always been on call and ready to help. Veronica herself was so rude in the matter and I can't recommend enough to not go through her especially. Needless to say once this tax return has been lodged which we were unknowingly paying for we WILL NEVER BE USING H&R BLOCK AGAIN.

Filing taxes with H&R Block was the worst customer experience of my life. The first person who prepared my tax return was completely incompetent. After my appointment, I went home and ran my information through Turbo Tax and saved hundreds of dollars that my "tax professional" at H&R Block failed to save me. I asked for a refund and was jerked around between the corporate offices and my local office with corporate offices claiming they could do absolutely nothing to help me. The manager of my local office ignored FOUR emails that I sent her. Finally I was refunded $100 out of the over $300 I paid and another tax professional fixed my sloppily done returns. This was not sufficient -- I requested a full refund since the first tax professional had zero idea what she was doing. I will never use this company again and would warn anyone else against using them.

When we first sat down the accountant briefly looked at our W-2's then he became very vague and first stated that we could possibly owe taxes. I left the office in tears. When he finally sat down and did our taxes it turned out we were getting $4464.68 back. We owe back taxes that we had setup a payment plan for and had been paying on for 2 years. We asked him if this would affect us getting our refund back and he assured us it wouldn't. We had been waiting for our refund for 3 1/2 weeks and nothing. It was electronically submitted and should have been back in two weeks. We called our accountant which he never answered and never returned.

We turned to the IRS who told us how to check on our refund. Shockingly we learned that our tax refund was reduced down to $464.00 and was paid out 2 weeks earlier. The accountant took his $400.00 and deposited $64.00 into our account. The IRS took the money for the back tax and the accountant knew it and never contacted us to inform us we were getting next to nothing!!! That money was going to be used to help my daughter into grad school. I am devastated that I can no longer help her! He didn't have the common decency to call us and tell us what happened!!! He refuses to answer our calls!! I will never use H&R Block again!!! On top of everything else they make it impossible to leave a review on their website!!

First, they upsell you to their advantage product and then they forget to file the taxes for 2012. Now the IRS is holding the current refund hostage until 2012 taxes are filed. Of course, when you try the Customer Service line you only get someone completely inept of answering any questions and if you try to contact your tax preparer, she is not working there anymore. Big surprise! The whole of H&R Block is a rip-off and needs to be put out of business.

I did a walk in to file my taxes 04/13/17... I was seen by a tax agent who reluctantly saw me claiming she had a appt in 15 minutes. We Sat down for about 10 minutes for a simple tax return that was almost finished when she told me to come back the next day to finish because she had her appt, she got up to check to see if they were there and they weren't so we wrapped it up in about 10 more minutes in which she told me it will be 405 dollars with a 50 dollar rebate. I have 2 family members that had a lot more to file than me and were only charged 225 dollars. I feel I was scammed since the price wasn't told to me until it was done, keep in mind it was around or less than 20 minutes.

I filled my every year tax online on H&R Block's electronic service. I never had any problem before but for tax return 2016, it completely went wrong. Either it is fraud or freak. After all I have done filing my return, I am still waiting for the return but when I checked out the status after two weeks, it wasn't filed through IRS. It totally failed and cause me to let filling fee. And I am worrying about the fraud that whether my confidentiality was exposed by H&R Block's website. It's so terrible!!!

Dealt with the owner of the Main Street Tillamook H&R Block on behalf of an elderly friend. An error was made in 2014 where this branch forgot to electronically submit her taxes. While a $50 discount was eventually promised off her 2016 tax filing, the owner acted like it wasn't a big deal to forget to file and I was the one with the problem making a big deal out of the situation. Having decided I was a "contentious" influence in my role as Power of Attorney (in place to protect my friend financially), he would take data from me on behalf of the tax return, but refused to communicate with me and went directly to my friend's home. He asked for a check for the 2016 taxes, but failed to give my neighbor that promised discount.

I complained via 1-800-HRBlock customer service, but they were unable to do anything to protect this elderly woman in this situation and said she needed to handle it on her own directly with the owner. So instead of her feeling safe with a person in place to help her financially, she now has to handle a stressful situation on her own to get fair treatment. She sent a letter to the owner of the office and H&R Block and has asked for her $50 discount, but will not be working with H&R Block in the future.

Recently ordered this online software to prepare my personal taxes. There was an option to create a joint filing for myself and my spouse. But once this option was chosen, you could not disable it without having to re-purchase it again for a separate filing. It's a scam to get the customer to repurchase the software again. Further, the software had a confusing, difficult interface to use. I had to go elsewhere to buy another tax software. I used TurboTax - far better, and easier to understand.

Worst service ever!! I will never do my taxes again with H&R Block. They are overpriced and can't even do taxes properly. They had me do my taxes and forgot to get me to sign the proper papers before I left 2 days later. I get an email stating that I must have been in a hurry to cash my cheque because I didn't sign the papers and I need to go back there. I wasn't exactly running out of there. Then to email me. I had to drive from Toronto back to Windsor where I did my taxes to sign the papers. Then after I sign them tell me I can't claim my medical expenses because they are dated for this year. Which they were not.

Then I have just recently found out that they messed up my taxes last year and caused me a penalty of 320 because they forgot to enter my savings bonds correctly. So because they had to adjust it revenue Canada charged me 350 for them to adjust my assessment in a penalty fee. I have used H&R Block for 9 years and I found they just get sloppier and sloppier and it's overpriced at that. Never again will I do taxes with them. There is plenty of tax companies who do cash back, don't charge as much and don't heard you in like cattle just to make a quick buck even though it's done wrong. I'm done with them!!

H&R Block messed up my 2015 tax returns so badly that now even my ex husband is getting audited bc of their careless errors. The tax preparers put the wrong social in the wrong box, so it seemed as if I was paying alimony, although it was the other way around. I had bought the Peace of Mind Warranty so thought they'd help with the penalties, interests, taxes, etc, BUT they refused to pay anything w/out a valid excuse as to why. These criminals will screw you over then leave you paying thousands for their mistakes, which they fully admitted to making. HORRIBLE!

I sent my 2016 tax refund in on February 16 2017 and I still havent received it. It's april 26, I called the irs and they cannot find my tax return. I called H&R Block and the person who answered the phone said they would contact me at 6:45pm, but didnt. When I trie d calling backno one answered the phones.

Expert Review

Melissa Hincha-OwnbyTax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.    More about Melissa→

H&R Block has prepared and filed more than 600 million tax returns since 1955 and although the online version is a more modern incarnation of this service, taxpayers can have peace of mind knowing that they are working with one of the most experienced tax service providers in the nation. In 2012, the company processed more than 25.6 million tax returns including 20 percent of the returns filed by low-income taxpayers that claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit.

• Variety: H&R Block offers several different packages that meet the needs of a wide variety of taxpayers - from a basic free file to a more complex return for a sole proprietor. H&R Block At Home customers can also grant access to a local H&R Block professional, which allows for more personalized support and assistance.
  • Audit support: All packages, including the Free File option, come with free audit support and representation from an enrolled agent.
  • Multiple refund options: Multiple refund options are available including direct deposit, refund anticipation checks and a prepaid MasterCard.
  • Upsells: H&R Block uses refund anticipation checks. Refund anticipation checks come with higher fees and there are only certain instances in which this option is used.
  • Basic package: The basic package is priced at $34.95.
  • Best for Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals, Sole Proprietors, Taxpayers with

Compare Tax Software and Services