1.74/5

2632 H&R Block Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 23, 2019

My father, 88 years old, took has taxes to H&R Block and was charge $826. $406 went to regular taxes, and $420 to Form 709. Form 709 is very simple to fill out. It is for gifts made to family. If a father gives more than 11 million dollars by the end of his life (assuming he is widowed), taxes are owed. My father will never have 11 million to give away. He is on a limited income, with barely enough money to make ends meet each month. He does not own property. I feel he was taken advantage of because of his age, inability to say "no", and lack of clarity in his thinking. If I had been there, I would not have allowed this to happen. In addition, $420 is an exorbitant fee for a simple form for which no taxes were owed. As his daughter, I do not like people to take advantage of him and in this case he was. My family will never take our business to H&R Block again. A CPA could have done it more cheaply.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Please do yourself a favor and don't use these car salesman. They are not professional, will tell you in the beginning what you want to hear and then after they get your money they change the numbers of your taxes. They sent me an email to review my taxes which I NEVER APPROVED and they decided to e file it without my permission! Simply Connivers!! I told the tax guy I need an explanation for the numbers. They promised me the $585 business deduction then they had different version that something was wrong with their computer. After few days my tax return jumped from 8000 to 9100. These people should work in selling cars not doing someone's taxes. I have been told from the tax person that "he's learning the process doing my taxes since it's complicated". I'm checking the option of seeing them for doing such an illegal things. Be aware!

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2019

My son went to a H&R Block office to help with filing his taxes, which are very cut & dry. No extra forms to fill out. First time ever filing with them and they charged him $432. The actual tax preparation was $318. They told him it would be around $100-160. What is wrong with these people. He owed this year and now he's going to have to pay the IRS & H&R Block. Never again! 1st and very last time ever. They should be ashamed of themselves, taking advantage of someone who doesn't understand the tax process.

Original review: April 16, 2019

First, it is a rare day on planet earth for me to take the time to leave a less than stellar review. That said, after H&R Block wasted significant hours of my time, I would say it is deservedly so. I was filling in my business expenses and I wasn't finished editing, or double checking itemizations, etc. The app will not allow you to view your entries, or edit them. There isn't any support for this question. FYI, Turbo Tax allows you to edit freely. Unfortunately, they appear to be down, or I would have used them.

Furthermore, I am unable to view the details of my income in order to check for errors. What a colossal waste of my time, and I do value my time. Now I have to find another vehicle and redo hours worth of work. I mean, nobody wishes to make unknown errors on their tax returns. The goal is to be as truthful, as possible and not make mathematical errors.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I used H&R online tax preparation software before and didn't have issue. But this year it was not good. I couldn't e-file because the software is saying my AGI is incorrect. I have my last year return and even got my Tax return transcript from IRS and the AGI I entered is correct. Still H&R got my tax return rejected. I tried this more than five times. So I decided to mail in my taxes but before filing taxes via paper I just wanted to give TurboTax a shot as today is last day for filing taxes. I just logged into TurboTax and filled all the details all over again, but TurboTax has good integration with my stockbroker and I didn't have to enter manually. It pulled everything correctly.

Also my Federal return was much higher in TurboTax and calculated my state Tax with Penalty (which I expected) correctly whereas H&R said I didn't owe a penalty. I submitted my Taxes via TurboTax, first time they were rejected but it showed what was wrong, whereas H&R didn't. I submitted second time after correcting and Hurray my taxes were accepted within an hour, whereas on H&R it took almost 3 hours for an update. Although TurboTax charged me $35.00 more the experience is much better.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about H&R Block?

Original review: April 15, 2019

Waited 2 hours on hold then told that someone will call me back. They did call back at their scheduled time but knew less that me. Also the online program continues to give me a college credit. I dont have any tuition to be reimbursed. It's not asking the appropriate questions.

Original review: April 15, 2019

This is my first and last time using this company. I filed with them in early January and still haven't received my refund! Granted, in the beginning, my bank account was closed the same day that my check was to be deposited... I ended having to call HR Block and the IRS on multiple occasions and it still hasn't been resolved. Heck, H&R Block told me that they mailed my check on 4/4/19, but I find out today that they mailed it back to the IRS instead on 4/10/19! I'm so irritated by this whole experience and I'll never go back to them. (I'm not even gonna start on all of the fees they charged...)

Original review: April 12, 2019

I have had a CPA do my taxes for 10 years. I thought since I had such fantastic records of all of my past tax documents, that I could easily do my taxes this year through TurboTax or H&R Block. Well...other than the fact that I had spent a couple of days learning the system and completing my forms on H&R Block, I called the customer service agent to remove an Ask the Pro ($39.99) from my cart, since apparently as a customer you are only allowed to put things into the cart and not out of the cart. Just to give you an idea of what my cart looked like.

I had the normal federal charge, two state charges, a Pro Tax Review charge, and an Ask the Pro charge. I asked customer service if a Pro Tax person is going to be reviewing my charge why do I need Ask the Pro? I asked her to remove the Ask a Tax Pro. She promptly deleted both tax pro services, which automatically deleted ALL of my information. Arghh...whatever. Took it as a sign to go back to my CPA. After all, my CPA charges $300 and H&R Block was already up to $249. My advice to others is to (1) be on the lookout for all of the hidden or added fees "necessary" to file your taxes, (2) don't add any service to your cart that is already included in another mandatory service, and (3) take anything more complex than a couple of W-2s and a 1095-B to an actual brick and mortar CPA.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Make sure your people (I.e. N.J. @ Salem OR Branch) knows what they are talking about BEFORE promising the $189 payment 3 times!!!! Then at end he says “ooops sorry, I told you wrong. It’s actually going to be $299.” VERY, VERY FRUSTRATING and makes it a deal breaker for future tax preparation unless I get that $110 back. Then that will tell me you are stand up people, truly transparent in your pricing, and your satisfaction guarantee is actually guaranteed and not just a slogan to get people in the door. I ended up paying $500 more in tax liability with you folks than what Jackson Hewitt said the day before using the same information!!! Go figure. In the meantime I will post my review online for everyone else to see as a warning and caution about what they can expect????

Original review: April 10, 2019

Dishonest, frustrating, and misleading. Don't waste time trying to file taxes. Search for an actual FREE service. This company is deceiving and makes false promises/advertisements. FILING TAXES WITH THEM IS NOT FREE...despite how they wiggle it around to make their practice appear fine and legal. I wasted a couple of hours trying to file my taxes thinking it was free to do so. Unfortunately, fees start appearing one after the other at the end of the application after having wasted time and submitting sensitive information. First there is this $30 state tax fee, after that an optional $49 for a tax agent to review the file, then they require another $30+ for "transfer fee" to an account. I deleted my account shortly after and I hope they don't save any of my info. I'll contact my lawyer regarding this. I will NEVER use any of H&R Block's services and will make sure not one of my family members do. Dishonest, frustrating, and misleading.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I'm a dedicated H&R Block software user for several years but have on occasion had procedural questions about the software. For the most part, you can forget about getting any useful customer support from H&R Block. If you have a rather simple tax situation (salary, interest, dividends, simple deductions) the software for the most part seems to do an adequate job, but then so do most of the other known tax software programs on the market.

Today, I had two questions about the software: one involved a bizarre warning about an audit risk (none of whose criteria fit my return) and the other involved a seemingly erroneous transfer of information from the federal to the state return, which (in my insignificant opinion) would have resulted in an overpayment of state income tax. When I called their "customer support" number, I had a wait time of nearly an hour, but "Ciera" did eventually pick up.

However, she would not answer any of my questions until she got a bunch of personal information: name, address, etc. I told her that none of that was germane to my questions and asked for her manager, to which she answered that she would not transfer me to her manager until I first supplied all of my personal information. Moral of the story: H&RB is no better than other software for calculations, and appears to be awful for customer "support," so you're pretty much on your own. Keep your fingers crossed and be prepared to kiss away some money which you should be keeping.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I signed up for H&R Block's Tax Pro Go service on April 3 online and they assigned me a Tax Pro who never responded to my several messages and also stood me up for our scheduled call on April 6. When I called customer service, all they told me to do was try and book another call for April 8. They had no way to contact the advisor assigned to me and had no guarantees that she would not miss my call again. Keep in mind, they also guarantee a 2-day turnaround for responses, which the tax advisor did not adhere to. With tax deadlines around the corner, I was not going to trust this advisor especially if she hasn't responded to me at all in the past couple of days and missed our scheduled call.

Original review: April 6, 2019

They changed the computers that can use their online filing and did not tell their employees or their clients. Thus, over two hours of my time and of their "chat' employees' time was totally wasted. And I cannot file this year with the results of last year's taxes available in the program. SHAME!

Original review: April 4, 2019

This is the first year I have used H&R Block. In the past I have used TurboTax. I was unable to reconcile H&R Block downloads from financial firms with my 1099s and the discrepancies were large. I could not reconcile them because H&R Block lumps transactions from different investment accounts. I will never use H&R Block again.

Original review: April 4, 2019

Used H&R Block online for tax calculations as I did for last 4 years. This time, despite my triple checking, program did not include carry-over of my investment loses. On top of that I was not able to review IRS forms before submission - software does not give you such option, you can only review your entries.

Had to recalculate my taxes manually and file amended return. Their support was terrible. When I called and reported the bug, they hold me on the phone for an hour and did nothing for me. No reimbursement even after I had to do my taxes myself! Obviously software has bugs after last overhaul and support won't help you. Watch out. Stephen

Original review: April 3, 2019

I have used Block for years and have done my families returns by purchasing one product. No more. I purchased it again online, and am unalbe to do more than one return. I contacted customer service and spoke with a representative, (after a long discussion with an automated system). I am being transferred and am told it is a 50 minute wait. TurboTax for me.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Always a TurboTax user but decided to try H&R Block. The employee Vickie ** in Mooresville NC who consulted me disregarded any attempt to enter itemized deductibles (school costs, landlord expenses, moving expenses, donations, etc). She did not tell me about the fees that she was charging until I asked after 35 minutes (I found this dishonest and misleading since there are signs everywhere that say "upfront transparent pricing). H&R would have gotten me $500, $350 of which would go to H&R for their fees. I went on TurboTax, took my time and itemized and got $1200 back. Paid $120. Go with TurboTax. H&R only wants to take your money with no actual work.

Original review: April 3, 2019

They advertise the software as Free Electronic Filing, there isn't anything Free about it. I went to pay using the software and they tacked on a 2.49% convenience fee which amounted to over $59 to file and pay for my return; "The convenience fee for this service is 2.49% (minimum of $2.59) of the tax payment amount for credit cards and debit cards. As an added benefit, the convenience fee is tax deductible on business tax payments and on qualified personal tax payments - just one more advantage to managing your tax payments electronically!" Then make it sound like they are doing you a favor with; As an added benefit - for who? This is either False Advertising or Misleading - either way, I mailed in my return.

Original review: March 31, 2019

All was going well until we came to punching in totals from our Health Insurance Marketplace statement. The numbers were accurate but an error kept coming up that the totals in columns a and b were not divisible by 12, (they were). There wasn't a way around this. For an extra $39.99 we could get tech support. No thank you! We were already paying $70 for this program. I did the taxes by hand and will mail them in. I was a returning customer but will shop around in the future.

Original review: March 31, 2019

Addition state form purchased on their site failed to load into the software. No 24 hour support so I had to wait to contact them to finish taxes. Calling puts you into horrible automated help system that almost refuses to let you talk to a real person. When a real person finally came on they transferred me to a queue with a waiting time of 60 minutes, system disconnected us so another 60 minutes... Have used this software for years. Starting last year it got buggy and support seems M.I.A. Will not use this software again.

Original review: March 26, 2019

We had used TurboTax for years, but switched preparation software for our 2018 return after several years of problems with e-filing and even printing returns (we were unable to print out copies last year, so had to manually complete a 1040 package using the information we could view online). Each year we receive several K-1s for partnership investments. Yesterday I sat down to enter the last one and discovered that the Premium software only provides 4 dropdown lines to enter detailed information from a K-1. The detailed reporting is required to properly categorize different income and deduction items for tax purposes. One line alone has a potential 31 subentries, yet the software only provides 4 lines for these entries. A similar problem exists with other lines.

My option? Not include all the information in the K-1, which now means that our return will not match information received by the IRS. And the tax calculations will not be correct. Probably not a good choice... H&R Block response? We only provide 4 lines because "most customers do not have more than 4 entries"??? Tell that to the IRS and maybe they will change THEIR form to match H&R Block’s. Question to H&R Block - have other customers raised the issue? Answer – yes. Proposed solution? None. Oh, wait. I was just told to print additional form pages and put into those extra lines the information that won't fit in the usual input structure.

Will my tax due be calculated from the forms (with added information) or the input screens? H&R Block doesn't know. I think I do - my "Federal Owe" number hasn't increased by even a penny after additional income was added. So, H&R Block, your workaround only gets numbers onto the paper, but doesn't include that new income in its tax calculation. If I use your suggested approach, I will both be underreporting and underpaying. My new option? Start all over again with TurboTax (which at least had enough lines to handle the input or they used to...) and get ready to write-out that hand copied return. Save your money...and your sanity. Don't use H&R Block software.

Original review: March 26, 2019

This should have been a simple return. The only reason I even have the premium edition is my small freelancing business. We don't itemize. After all of the questions were answered and figures were entered on the interview pages, the summary pages showed different and incorrect figures. After deleting and re-entering information numerous times in the self-employment interview, I called technical support. I was on hold for 90 minutes only to be told that the tech who finally answered would have to transfer me to a tech with a higher level of expertise.

After holding for another 50 minutes, I decided a chat might be more satisfactory. (Incidentally, there is no obvious way to get to "chat" from the information on the H&R Block Website. Fortunately, I thought to ask the first tech for instructions before hanging up. This involves setting up an account and going through several steps that you would never be able to figure out from the sketchy information on the Website.) In preparing for this chat, I went through all of the interview pages and made notes. I found that boxes were checked that should not have been and couldn't be unchecked. The accuracy review flagged "business name," even though the instructions said not to enter one. The business income summary showed no income even though I had correctly entered the 1099-misc information. The next time the summary showed a negative gross income in the amount of my expenses.

Another time it had doubled my income and another time showed only the amount from one 1099-misc. On another summary page, my unemployment tax would show up incorrectly one time, much more than it should have been the next, and then not at all. The self-employment summary page indicated my husband had a business, which he does not, but on the schedule C my 1099-misc information showed up under his name. The "accuracy review" continually flagged "issues" on Schedule C. All of which had already been addressed in the interview pages: name of business, "copy" box number, business code. I never did get speak/chat with technical support. I just kept going back to the interview pages and deleting and re-entering the same correct information.

I lost count of the number of times I had to do this. Finally, the accuracy review flagged no "issues" - until I went to the next step to "file" and there were 5 issues. These were blanks such as address and social security number that could easily be corrected on the 1040 form. Two positives: 1. The "take me to" icon at the top of the screen page was useful and easy to navigate. I used it many times to return to pages to re-enter information. 2. I had to wait more than 30 minutes to "chat" with tax professional Lawrence **, but he was extremely helpful once we got connected. Twice during the chat we were disconnected, (on my end) but I was relieved to find that when I logged back into chat, I was given the option of continuing the same conversation.

In summary: This is the fifth year I have used H&R Block tax prep software. There have been issues in the past, and while I felt the questions on this year's interview pages were more clear as to the information required, the technical issues were beyond frustrating. I spent way too much time on what should have been a simple, straightforward return and have serious doubts about using this software again.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I went to one in-person appointment to find out how much it would cost to file my taxes and was told a reasonable amount. When I came back for my appointment to file, I met with a different representative and asked to double-check my rates to ensure the cost and was told an amount that was DOUBLE what I was told initially! H&R Block is supposed to have upfront pricing, but apparently that does not mean it is accurate. Their rates are very high and I would recommend double-checking the cost they tell you during your consultation before filing or you may end up with a very large bill! Both the representatives I worked with were very kind, but I was extremely disappointed about the secrecy of the actual cost.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I will not be purchasing this software again. I had a question on how to enter some information in for my grandson's taxes and I tried to reach the 'advertised' 24-7 support with a tax expert via chat. After 2 phone calls, one hour, several attempts in the program itself, I gave up. Everyone I reached said that they were an HR Block program expert not a tax advisor and therefore, could not assist me with my tax question.

They advertise 24 7 tax support but make it nearly impossible to obtain that support. Other than this issue, I've used their software for several years now and was very satisfied. The thing I am not too keen on is how they advertise expert help is available to you when you purchase it making it seem like you are also purchasing free tax support when you buy their software.

Original review: March 21, 2019

This is my 6th year of using H&R Block, but 2018 software is terrible. There is no professional accountants to ask a question. You chat with clerks, and they have no idea about software, never they answer to your questions. I spent five hours on the phone, I was transferred to different individuals, none of them were able to help and they DID NOT CARE at all. One of the supervisors told me that similar happened with his tax returned, but he didn't inform his managers, coworkers or customers. The file generated by H&R Block 2018 filing is INADMISSIBLE. They don't care about customers, their way to do business is TERRIBLE.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I got the feeling the preparer did not have a clue on taxes. I liked the preparer. I just don’t trust the software. Their rates were higher than the TAX CPA preparers of years past. If you have a portfolio of over a mil, this is not your place. It was close to my house and I was warned. Call me STUPID. I will not be back.

Original review: March 19, 2019

This is my 3rd year of using H&R Block software but I will not be purchasing again. They advertise and talk big about their support, but it is all bluster and show. Here are my complaints: 1) Their "chat with a tax pro" option is invisible, grayed out, having technical problems, or not available for months before April 15. If you are lucky enough to have the option functional, you will wait for 1-2 hours, even in February. 2) You will not chat with an accountant. It is a clerk or office assistant that they call a "tax pro." 3) You will not get an answer to your question. I recently asked where to enter a "K-1 excess deduction" since there was no option in the interview or on the worksheet under Misc/Other Deductions.

Also, Line 16 of Schedule A was grayed out so I wasn't able to input anything manually. The tech support (Riquan **. on 3/19/19 at around noon) said it wasn't a programming glitch but couldn't give me an answer on how to make the line editable or not grayed out. I wasted more than an hour. I then requested a supervisor and was connected to "DIY Tier 2" support (Lakiva **., 3/9/19, chat end time around 12:50 PM).

Again, no answer to my question. I was told to call their 1-800 number (I might get a person or Tier 3 support, she wasn't sure--I have the transcript) or go to my local H&R office (their default answer when they can't quickly determine a response). 4) The Business software is literally just a regurgitation of the IRS forms. There is virtually no explaining or breaking down of the language or concept. Where the "interview" exists, it is highly technical and repeated IRS language. Few help features. In most cases, you type directly into the IRS form itself. 5) There is no support or "tax pro" help. This isn't declared when buying the program; it's basically hidden away.

Original review: March 19, 2019

It was an easy process to file the taxes. One problem I noted when I inputting my charitable donations is that when I went back to the income section it erased all of my charitable entries. That really sucked. I'm not sure if that has been resolved or not. I did contact customer service about it though.

Original review: March 19, 2019

FOR YOUR SAKE PLEASE READ THIS if you are planning to use H&R Block online software. There are serious issues and H&R Block is doing nothing to inform consumers. I have used H&R Block online tax software for over 5 years with no issues. This year - very different experience. First, there was an entry field in the mortgage interest that did not allow proper entry of date. I verified that it was not my PC. I clicked on live chat and had explained my issue when the representative asked for a Block ID#.

I did not know how to find, nor did he tell me how to so I finally clicked on Block ID which signed me out and lost my work and live chat. After restarting my PC, I tried to sign back into H&R Block. When I signed back in, I could not get past the "go to last screen I completed". "Next" button nor "?" menu for live chat did not work. I spent hours on the phone getting routed to different individuals who could not offer much help or simply did not care to. One individual was at least honest and said that issues similar to mine have been reported since last week, but could not answer why H&R Block did not have the courtesy to notify people so they did not waste time entering data that they cannot then access to complete and file their returns.

Someone eventually generated a Tier 2 case # for me, but not sure how that really helped (I suspect it was only to pacify me and stop me from calling). The representatives said they could not have someone call me, nor let me know when the issues were fixed. They only told me to check back to see if it was fixed tomorrow. Great way to leave customers hanging. I cannot trust that this software will be operational or even work correctly to file my taxes (based on some other reviews I have read). So I will likely be starting anew with TurboTax tomorrow (again, based on reviews) or simply file the old fashioned way with a hardcopy print and submit.

I would have liked to explain to a manager all that has occurred, in the hopes that it would be addressed and other customers would not have to endure the same frustration that I did, but the representative said the only option to provide feedback was the survey. However, the survey cut me off when trying to explain the issue. I have never written a review, but felt obligated to warn others regarding my experience.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I used TurboTax Deluxe for many years but it got too expensive, too difficult to use, and customer service was terrible (basically it did not exist)! H&R Federal and State software solved all three—lower cost (especially on Amazon), very easy to use (no fluff), and good customer support.

H&R Block expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

H&R Block has prepared and filed more than 600 million tax returns since 1955 and although the online version is a more modern incarnation of this service, taxpayers can have peace of mind knowing that they are working with one of the most experienced tax service providers in the nation. In 2012, the company processed more than 25.6 million tax returns including 20 percent of the returns filed by low-income taxpayers that claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit.

• Variety: H&R Block offers several different packages that meet the needs of a wide variety of taxpayers - from a basic free file to a more complex return for a sole proprietor. H&R Block At Home customers can also grant access to a local H&R Block professional, which allows for more personalized support and assistance.

• Audit support: All packages, including the Free File option, come with free audit support and representation from an enrolled agent.

• Multiple refund options: Multiple refund options are available including direct deposit, refund anticipation checks and a prepaid MasterCard.

• Upsells: H&R Block uses refund anticipation checks. Refund anticipation checks come with higher fees and there are only certain instances in which this option is used.

• Basic package: The basic package is priced at $34.95.

• Best for: Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals, Sole Proprietors, Taxpayers with

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

H&R Block Company Information