3.8/5 (3139 ratings)

About H&R Block

H&R Block is a tax preparation business that offers professional tax services as well as self-service options. If you opt for professional services, H&R Block’s tax experts file your tax returns to get you the best possible refund. H&R Block offers its services both in stores and online, and the company offers free online filing software.

Pros

• Options for every budget
  • 24/7 support by phone, email & chat
  • Work with a tax professional

Cons

• Can cost more than filing yourself

Bottom Line

H&R Block offers professional tax filing services and free tax software. With programs for every budget and 24/7 customer service, H&R Block is great for consumers who need tax help.

What is H&R Block?

H&R Block is a tax preparation business that helps people who want to file on their own or hire tax professionals. Customers who decide to use H&R Block’s professional filing services choose between three different service options:

• Meeting with a tax expert one-on-one at your local H&R Block office
  • Dropping off your documents at one of H&R Block’s locations
  • Uploading your documents to H&R Block’s website

With document uploading, you don’t need to visit a physical location to work with an H&R Block tax professional. If a customer chooses to use the H&R Block tax filing system to file their own taxes, they can file on the company's website or use its tax software.

Online filing has multiple service options with or without assistance, including:

• Free
  • Deluxe
  • Premium
  • Self-employed

H&R Block’s tax software has four program options:

• Basic
  • Deluxe + State
  • Premium
  • Premium & Business

H&R Block prices

H&R Block has a variety of options to meet every budget. Fees for working with tax experts using the document upload option start at $49, while the drop-off and in-office services start at $69. Additional fees may apply, including a $44.99 fee for filing state taxes.

Tax software from H&R Block ranges from $29.95 to $89.95 for federal filing, with possible additional state fees.

H&R Block FAQ

How much does it cost to file my taxes with H&R Block?
Depending on the level of help you need, H&R Block doesn’t have to cost anything. However, if you want premium filing options or hands-on help, expect to pay between $29.95 and $104.99.
Is H&R Block good?
H&R Block is one of the best-known names in tax preparation, and it has a long-standing reputation in the tax world. Its prices are reasonable, and its services are suitable for a variety of tax situations.
Can I just walk into H&R Block?
H&R Block does accept walk-ins, but it recommends that you make an appointment before meeting an H&R Block tax expert.
Do you have to pay H&R Block upfront?
No, you don't have to pay H&R Block upfront. It allows you to pay its fees from your tax refund.
What does H&R Block charge for rapid refunds?
H&R Block offers a 0% APR loan as a refund advance to qualifying customers. This advance comes with no finance charges or loan fees. After you file your taxes, your refund should repay your loan.

Is H&R Block good?

H&R Block offers nationwide tax services for people in every tax situation. The company is an ideal choice for consumers searching for free tax filing software or people who want to work with a certified tax professional to get the best possible refund. If you’re searching for tax services, H&R Block is a strong candidate.

H&R Block Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about H&R Block?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about H&R Block?

Original review: March 11, 2021

I have used H&R Block for the past 5 years. I was a former Turbo Tax user but the software price became insanely high therefore the switch. Our tax situation has changed drastically in the past 5 years. Yet the transition with Block has been The past 2 years I have used the free version and have been pleasantly surprised by the of then simplicity using the program but a quality end product.

Original review: March 9, 2021

The tax preparers were very courteous and professional. There was a discrepancy which caused us to lose money and we had trouble getting help because the main offices in this area close after tax season. There were branch offices open only at certain times of the week. I persisted with the company and talked to corporate. The representative who called me was very polite and professional. In the end they refunded our filing fee.

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 7, 2021

I used the paid online service and it went well. Docs were easy to upload & my taxes were done quickly by a pro. It cost $179 & I found out later that I could have used their software to file for free. I paid twice in taxes for 2019 than I did in the last 8 years, but that's not their fault. My advice, use the free service unless you want a pro to go over your taxes for peace of mind.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

I have used H&R Block for the past 5 years and I am very satisfied with the service. I opt to pay the extra $29.95 and have access to my last 7 years tax filings. I always get confirmations when my tax filing is accepted by the IRS and I do not get an excess amount of email solicitations from them. Very professional and respectful company.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

This tax software is easy to follow and asks comprehensive questions for your initial federal and state tax run thru. I had more difficulty going back to add a form that I forgot. The search option was not as flexible as I would have expected. Ex. I tried to search on the 1099-div form. That’s the title of the document I received from the business. But, a search using “1099-div” was a failure. I actually had to change the search to “1099” and wade thru the options. In addition, I had a problem using my AGI. Do not know why, but would have had to pay to find out.

Original review: July 8, 2021

First off, the system will not allow me to give a less than one star review. H&R Block is horrible when it comes to issues. I have been stuck in a nightmare situation for three weeks trying to get a mistake they made resolved. I have documentation and proof that it was their mistake. I've called their helpline, sent messages to the Tax Pro, and scheduled in office visits. The Tax Pro never responded to any of the messages, one office visit they didn't even show up for and never followed up, and every time I try to call the helplines, it says that all their agents are busy and drops the call.

Original review: July 2, 2021

This is the second time I've attempted to use HR Block. I had to cancel one account because nobody knew who owned it, nobody could access it and my tax information had been waiting for 5 weeks and nobody would return calls or messages. Now, I opened a new account, uploaded my tax information and no response to messages for a week. They are absolutely horrible and forget about calling their toll-free number, they can't do anything but send messages to people who never respond.

Original review: June 29, 2021

First.. I have used H&RBlock for over 5yrs. Every time I call it is a 30+min wait. When I call no one can ever help. They give you another number to a group that can't help and they send you back to the first group. Documents? Never expect them to give you a receipt of your payment to the IRS. They say you have to call their payment processor. Really? I filled out my personal banking info on the H&RBlock web app and they say they don't have a confirmation of that? PATHETIC. Don't use them. They continue to get worse year by year.

Original review: June 7, 2021

Extremely poor website and phone support ... can’t find much on the website and have waited over an hour at least 10 times in the past 6 months on the phone with no one ever answering. Phone wait has loud annoying music then so very low volume women groveling about something - alternating. Says call will be answered in (then drops silent). I can only assume H&R Block is falling into the pit of bankruptcy ... with such poor and never updated services. Always the high call volume excuse --- this just means you are no good at managing your call system which translates to a negative impact on the perceived quality of your products. After 2.5 hour wait on June 7th (tax filing was 5/17) go someone from India who could not answer my question and gave me cookie cutter 6th grade answers. Software is ok 3/5 if you really know what you are doing.

Original review: May 30, 2021

On 2/16/2021, my account was charged $157.98 from H&R Block. This was an amount that I was quoted that I would be billed if I filed my 2020 taxes successfully through their company. The problem is that I did not end up filing taxes with their company and used another company to process my 2020 taxes. Despite this, I did not receive my money back and was wrongfully charged the $157.98 for services I did not end up using. It took a couple of months before I saw this charge, but when I did, I immediately contacted H&R Block on 5-9-2021. I was relieved after speaking with “Margareth I.” who apologized and assured me that I would be refunded within 3-10 business days. She provided me with case# 05479482 as a reference.

Once time had passed and I still had not received the refund, I was promised, I filed a complaint with the BBB on 5-17-2021 hoping this may speed up the process as it was getting close to the 10 day period I was quoted. I waited a couple of days and on 5-19-2021, I contacted H&R Block, yet again. This time was quite possibly the worst experience I have ever had, in my life, dealing with customer service. I spent almost FOUR HOURS being dropped, without warning, from one person, to the next, attempting to resolve this issue.

One agent, Julissa S., told me that my refund shows as processed, the case has been closed and to contact my bank. When I asked for any information that I could share with my bank, she repeated herself saying the refund had been issued. I again, asked for more information and was cold transferred back into the queue, AGAIN, but after she sent a quick sorry for the inconvenience message, rather than providing me with the information I kept requesting to give to my bank.

Eventually, I got someone named Brian who informed me that everything I had been told thus far was all false. He informed me that there was never even a case opened for my refund in the first place and it was not processed/sent to my bank because it was never initiated. He was the only helpful person I have found to date. Unfortunately, he was not able to file the refund request for me due to being in the sales department. The prior rep just dropped me to him, but I needed the product support team in order to get the request filed. He did provide me with some additional contact information (phone numbers) try to get assistance through, but I just couldn't do it any more. Mentally I just could not handle it. I am not only a single Mom, who runs a self employed business, I have bipolar disorder and anxiety, etc. and these situations are very difficult for me to handle at times.

I spent 4 hours that day getting now here, it took my entire evening and the worst part is it was for no reason because I wasn't even anywhere near where I thought I was in progress... Instead, I had not even began the process at all!! It is so discouraging considering all of the time I have invested in this and waiting for my refund that has not even been started, despite me expecting it to come in any day now. These are all things I should not have to be dealing with and going through in the first place because they should not ever have charged me for services they did not provide!

To date, almost 2 weeks now, they have yet to even acknowledge my BBB complaint, nor have I had any luck with them contacting me about my owed money. I did send an e-mail to them days ago and mailed out a letter today, to their corporate headquarters. Even though, I am not confident that this will change anything or that I will have my issue resolved by these various attempted methods. That is why I wanted to file a complaint with you as well because I would hope they would at least take this complaint serious, since the BBB they have not. I have been scammed, lied to and invalidly charged for services H&R Block did not fulfill and that I am owed and was promised to be refunded for, yet never received this and had a case # that was not even a case to begin with.

All of my communication I made sure to do through the live chat and saved all of the correspondence and will be happy to share, so you can see all of the lies I have been told and time/effort on my end to get this fixed, getting nowhere. THIS COMPANY IS A SCAM, THEY STEAL MONEY AND DO NOT EVEN ACKOWLEDEGE YOU WHEN YOU REALZE IT!

H&R Block Company Information