Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.42/5

H&R Block is a tax preparation business that offers professional tax services as well as self-service options. If you opt for professional services, H&R Block’s tax experts file your tax returns to get you the best possible refund. H&R Block offers its services both in stores and online, and the company offers free online filing software.

BOTTOM LINE

H&R Block offers professional tax filing services and free tax software. With programs for every budget and 24/7 customer service, H&R Block is great for consumers who need tax help.

PROS

• Options for every budget
  • 24/7 support by phone, email & chat
  • Work with a tax professional

CONS

• Can cost more than filing yourself

What is H&R Block?

H&R Block is a tax preparation business that helps people who want to file on their own or hire tax professionals. Customers who decide to use H&R Block’s professional filing services choose between three different service options:

• Meeting with a tax expert one-on-one at your local H&R Block office
  • Dropping off your documents at one of H&R Block’s locations
  • Uploading your documents to H&R Block’s website

With document uploading, you don’t need to visit a physical location to work with an H&R Block tax professional. If a customer chooses to use the H&R Block tax filing system to file their own taxes, they can file on the company's website or use its tax software.

Online filing has multiple service options with or without assistance, including:

• Free
  • Deluxe
  • Premium
  • Self-employed

H&R Block’s tax software has four program options:

• Basic
  • Deluxe + State
  • Premium
  • Premium & Business

H&R Block prices

H&R Block has a variety of options to meet every budget. Fees for working with tax experts using the document upload option start at $49, while the drop-off and in-office services start at $69. Additional fees may apply, including a $44.99 fee for filing state taxes.

Tax software from H&R Block ranges from $29.95 to $89.95 for federal filing, with possible additional state fees.

H&R Block FAQ

How much does it cost to file my taxes with H&R Block?
Depending on the level of help you need, H&R Block doesn’t have to cost anything. However, if you want premium filing options or hands-on help, expect to pay between $29.95 and $104.99.
Is H&R Block good?
H&R Block is one of the best-known names in tax preparation, and it has a long-standing reputation in the tax world. Its prices are reasonable, and its services are suitable for a variety of tax situations.
Can I just walk into H&R Block?
H&R Block does accept walk-ins, but it recommends that you make an appointment before meeting an H&R Block tax expert.
Do you have to pay H&R Block upfront?
No, you don't have to pay H&R Block upfront. It allows you to pay its fees from your tax refund.
What does H&R Block charge for rapid refunds?
H&R Block offers a 0% APR loan as a refund advance to qualifying customers. This advance comes with no finance charges or loan fees. After you file your taxes, your refund should repay your loan.

Is H&R Block good?

H&R Block offers nationwide tax services for people in every tax situation. The company is an ideal choice for consumers searching for free tax filing software or people who want to work with a certified tax professional to get the best possible refund. If you’re searching for tax services, H&R Block is a strong candidate.

H&R Block Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about H&R Block?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about H&R Block?

Original review: March 24, 2020

HandR Block took time to listen and executed in fine fashion. There was an item we were not aware of and they informed us it could come up next year. My wife and I have social security and my wife has a small tutoring job. So every penny on our taxes is very important. H and R explained each line item in detail. I had items that were not used because they were not used. Also the Block employee showed us how business miles could make a difference next year.. We had never used a tax company to do our taxes before this year but after researching Block, we were happy to use them.

Original review: March 23, 2020

I have been using H & R Block for over 20 years and have been pretty happy with the experience. The price, of course is where I rate them the lowest since most of the time my preparation entries stay pretty much the same and many of the forms have hardly any numbers but am apparently charged by the number of forms, since the price keeps going up for less than an hour's preparation time. The customer service, preparation times are great and filing is very fast, being mostly electronic. If you don't mind paying more and want to be pretty sure that you won't be audited, I would definitely recommend using them to prepare your taxes.

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2020

I've been using their service for 14 years and to be honest, they're usually pretty great. I had one tax expert for ten of the years and he was always phenomenal. After he retired, was a bit of a different story. I've been reassessed for two of the 4 years with different experts now. And getting them to help is actually really hard. My files are "in a vault", "someone will call you", etc, etc. No one calls, no one reviews the files. That part really sucks. The service is fast if by appointment but be prepared that they are always behind and book appts too close together. If you can keep one expert, they can be great. Otherwise it's a roll of the die.

Original review: March 15, 2020

My wife and I had been paying a CPA for the past 15 years or so but this year I did a study on the best tax software and decided on H&R Block Deluxe. My research paid off because for the first time using it I was amazed at how user friendly and accurate our return(s) came out. Both the Federal and State were almost the same as previous years but we saved on the driving to the CPA's office and his fees, which were rather high we thought. So, all in all we are very happy with H&R Deluxe and will be using it again next year.

Original review: March 4, 2020

Hey my name is Tay and I am a full-time student with a part-time job and I have been using H&R Block since 2014. I just want to say I’m in my early 20s and I grew up on H&R Block. I have been filing my taxes every single year since turning 18. I have never used a tax preparer or any other service. H&R Block is the most convenient tax prep service Ever. H&R Block helps people like me; students who don’t have any time to make an appointment to go file taxes, students who are smart enough to do it themselves without help. I filed my tax return March 1, 2020 and today is March 4, 2020 and I already have received my state return back. I am 100% serious. This is not a joke, not a sham, nothing. I am not paid to say this. I really have been using H&R Block for the last 6 Years and have received my maximum refund and I am proud to say it. I love HRB. They need to start setting up tax returns on campus for real.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

This so-called tax preparation app generated a tax return so badly flawed that if it had been audited the IRS could have easily alleged criminal fraud. It failed to report IRA distribution and pension income and left both line items on the 1040 form blank. Its queries about estimated tax and tax paid with extensions are so confusing that it generated an error that would have cost me multiple thousands of dollars in Lost refunds. It erroneously doubled my self-employment income and would have caused me to pay a self employment tax twice as much as was correct. Stay away from this nightmare.

Original review: July 28, 2020

This is entirely too long of a story to completely detail, so I condensed it down. The first time I went into H&R Block The IRS ended up sending me letters and thankfully I had "purchased" their peace of mind protection, because I was told without that I'd have been on my own. Fast forward to this year. I went into the office to have my taxes prepared, I had a form from my student loans but they were put on hold because I started school again so I ended up only paying $10 in interest. I asked if I even needed to file that form and she shrugged and said "I don't know I'll just enter it and see what happens".

Through countless computer errors and many calls for help later on her part. I was done. We get to the payment portion and mind you I had one w2 and one student loan form. I was never informed of a price. when she asked me how I was going to be paying that day I saw my total was over $300. I was shocked. I asked here where that price came from and I was told that the form that said I paid $10 in interest on a student loan just cost me over $200. I didn't understand why that was and she couldn't give me an answer just kept pressing me for payment till finally I told her just take it out of my tax return.

I call corporate to ask why and to get some clarification. They forwarded me to a regional manager. It took days of chasing him down to even get him to call me back. Once he did finally call me, he told me to call him in a few days. So I waited and called that Friday, he wasn't available so I left a message. He calls me at 7pm, Calls me the wrong name and I correct him. He then tells me they will refund me the cost of the student loan form. Okay, cool. Then he proceeds to thank me for being a teacher. I am not a teacher. I correct him again. He hangs up on me. Now here we are 7 months later and I still can't get a refund or even clarification on what happened.

Their customer service is absolutely horrible as well. I asked to not be contacted by the store I went to because I was just completely over that place. THEY CALLED ME ANYWAY, and kept calling me until I answered the phone. Then told me they don't understand why I'm upset I got my taxes done didn't I? Just go see a real tax professional PLEASE. They have cost me so much money between this and the IRS.

Original review: July 15, 2020

I paid extra for a "tax pro" to review my taxes. She has on several occasions said that she would finish my taxes that day or the next morning. I haven't seen anything and she doesn't respond to my emails. The company doesn't answer their phones. There's only a recording saying that they have a high number of calls.

Original review: July 10, 2020

I’m a business owner and I went to H & R Block for help with my business taxes. Mirela took me from another person, left me sitting for an hour and then gave me the tax forms and made me fill everything out at home - I prepared my own taxes for her!!! On the areas I didn’t understand what to put in, she got angry with me and was giving me dirty looks. I was supposed to be getting $4,000 back from the IRS but she said she wasn’t going to give me the credit and I had to eat it- because she refused to verify my documents. I had everything with me and she refused to review it and said that the IRS doesn’t like giving refunds so I’m not allowed to get any of my money back from my expenses. I received a small refund for my personal taxes and she made me give it back to the IRS.

She then overcharged me and said it’s a complicated return?!!! How is it complicated when I prepared my own taxes for her?! She is a huge, lazy and jealous person who is so miserable she didn’t want me to get my money. She was a horrible person to try and work with and I feel very traumatized by her behavior and actions. I hope that if you’re looking for help with your taxes you get anyone other than her. Don’t go to her- why pay for getting your taxes done when you can do it on Turbotax- if I gotta prepare them why did I pay for her help???!!! I’m going to report her to the IRS for tax fraud- misrepresenting my business and lying about the IRS not wanting to give me my refund.

Original review: July 9, 2020

H&R Block online Tax service is such a farce... I started and had questions. Started with free. Then told if had questions would cost $70.00. Spent 1 hr on phone and she could answer my questions! Then she said didn't know how to print out conversation. And told could have Taxes checked for another $9.00 ad could call H&R Block. So far been on hold over 1 hour and being told another 50 mins. but this started at 18 mins holding. Told would be 60 mins. Did that for a while. Went down to 50 mins after 51:03 mins and still keeps saying that on hold. 01:04 and 5 sec and still being told another 50 mins. Not paying the bill for nothing and no help. Please don't waste your money...

H&R Block Company Information