H&R Block

Compare Tax Services

Research top Tax Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Money stolen from my account twice. I have done my taxes myself through the H&R Block website for the past five years. They send me my emerald card and I always have got my money on time and never had any issues with anything. Until this year I filed my taxes, got my card, money was right on time... But as I slowly spend some of my $5000.00 tax return on my bills knowing I hadn't spend all of my money I go to the ATM to withdrawal money. I had $400.00 left when I should have had over $3600.00 left and then I wake up the next morning and had $5.00 left. So as I check my transactions. I see that someone has spent $3236.38 at 3 different locations in Korea. So I look up the companies to find that only one of the companies even existed and the other two was not even real. So I reported the fraudulent transactions which there were 23 of them.

I called the 866 number on the back of my card and the woman I spoke to didn't really even want to hear what I was saying. She kept interrupting me and trying to confuse me and she said she would email me a paper to sign and return to them which I never received because I told her specifically to send it to my new email which I gave her and it never came. Usually an investigation takes about 20 days but what was weird was in 6 days they put $3236.38 on my card without me signing anything or hearing from them again. It was like the woman knew why I was calling and just fixed the problem real quick. So as I'm slowly spending my money I had just got back on my bills and stuff I go and try to buy my daughter a pair of shoes and my card was declined so I try to get into my H&R Block acct and I had been blocked from it.

So I finally figure out a way to see my transactions and sure enough I see all these transactions that I didn't make for 3 different places in Korea and one place was connected to the first store from the first fraud claim and the other two do not exist. So two times my card was hacked into even after getting a new card and pin number. I'm waiting now for an investigation and papers were sent and signed and returned this time. But I'm having a hard time trying to figure out who could be doing this and if any way possible I can keep it from happening to someone else.

The names of the companies from the first time this happened are Goya Direct which is a company that exist and the other two where RefferDunny and Tomlinstrade and then the 2nd time the companies names were Boketto International and Curnrub and then PFA Dangjen. So keep an eye out for any of these kinds of transactions on your statement. I need help to find out how this even happened and I'm not sure if it was someone from Mastercard or from H&R Block since both companies are tied to the card. So please help if anyone has went through something like this.

At 6100 Montana Ste B. You will face 2 female associates...**. They know Spanish & English. They don't have entire information when it comes down to Child Support & other parent. If you sign document giving right for other parent to file for their kid.. They suggest you do. OMG they have no idea how mother or father of child will have legal problems. Don't be fooled!!!

Called them to do a 1040X SIMPLE amendment, explained fully the situation. Was quoted $49.00. PERIOD. No, "well it could be more." When she finished she said that will be $149.00, H&R Block customer service said, "Yes that's excessive, we'll have someone call you and explain." HUH? So the person that called me said, "That's what we charge now." Should be a Class Action suit against them. They have an extremely bad reputation, and well earned. The preparers have to be on commission. And then they have someone call you to "explain" like you are ignorant, I think not.

They prepared my taxes. And I ask the man the gentlemen preparing my taxes if I could use the router and account numbers on my tax forms to pay my online credit card and my wife and me both heard him say yes. So we got a advanced in payment. Which came through so when we got our taxes paid my credit card waited for 2 business days to go by. The card was paid. Used the cards to pay off all the debts we had then came back that the payment didn't go through and now my debt has double. We called H&R and they told us take 10 business days to get back to us.

It's been almost a month and the local office here in town is open on Tuesday from 8 to 4 and so I got to take a day off to go take care of this which I can't really afford so now I may have to get a lawyer to sue for damages which I wasn't going to, but now after all the stress that this has called to me and my wife I don't care. They didn't even have the common decency to call and say the are sorry or tell us they would make it right so this will be the last time I let any business of any kind get away with ripping me off. It a shame. I work hard for what I have and I don't want a hand out but it high time this company pay for it mistakes. We as common folk don't get to get away with stealing. Why should any company be able to rip us off. I guess if you are rich you get away with everything.

Where do you guys get off ripping people off especially people who have a reading and learning disability? You guys took $300 of someone's hard earned money for 20 minutes worth of key strokes. Whole return was only $702 call. That person also filed on April 6 and still hasn't received all of his money. Nobody has been able to explain how you guys came up with this fee. He has went up to the local branch 4 times and called customer service 3 times. Absolutely nothing nor anyone can explain why so much for just a simple 10-40ez. I don't know about everyone else but I like to look pretty before I get screwed. Maybe H&R Block should start handing out nice shades of lipstick with each tax return!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about H&R Block?

I know my review is sort of too late but I wanted to tell you what I went through during the 2015 tax season with H&R Block. I live in a small "but growing" city called Kalamazoo Michigan. There's a H&R Block on a busy road called Westnedge here. I had called this H&R Block a day in advance to see if they would welcome drop in since it was in the middle of the work week and it was in the afternoon "assuming that this is when they are the least busiest." The lady had told me to come on in and they could help me out. The next day I did just that, and the fat lady who looked like she had zero experience took 1 look at me and told me "sorry... you'll have to make an appointment."

I looked around in that empty office and asked: "why do I have to wait when you told me to come on in?" She didn't know how to answer that question and insisted to come back 1 week later. I needed my taxes filed so I took her 1 week piece of paper appointment and told her I'll be back because this time I'm locked in and there's no turning back. Well I was with my girlfriend that day I walked in. After we went back to the car my girlfriend started to call the other H&R Blocks in the area to see if anyone else had an open spot. My g/f accidentally called the one on Westnedge and got the same fat lady who wanted me to come back in 1 week.

Guess what? Because it was my sweet sounding girlfriend making the call, the fat lady from the desk told my girlfriend she could come in TODAY "NOT 1 week later" and that there was an open spot right now. I was flabbergasted by this. The fat lady turns ME down because I'm a man, but doesn't turn my girlfriend down because she's a WOMAN. H&R Block is sexist and me or my girlfriend will never EVER do business with H&R block again... EVER!! They are lucky they don't get sued for discrimination. Well that's all I have to say about this crap business. I guess if you're a lady this business is for you. But watch out for lesbian workers there.

DO NOT! I repeat, DO NOT PATRONIZE H&R Block, especially the Harrisville, Utah office. The tax preparer, Tracy **, misfiled our taxes in 2015 and 16 under the wrong Tax ID number. We had two returns, a trust and our personal returns to have prepared. I trusted her to know what to do, especially with the trust account. I wrongly had confidence in her "expertise". Boy, was I wrong. I didn't find out until this April 2017 that the Utah Tax Commission had no record of any trust account returns filed in our name in either 2015 or 2016. I called the tax commission several times to ask why we had not received our refund for tax year 2016 and each time they could not find any evidence of any refund for 2016.

To make a long story short, after some investigation, this April 2017 the tax commission notified us that the tax preparer misfiled our 2015 and 2016 returns under mine and my spouse's social security numbers instead of the trust account tax ID number as she should have. As a result, in 2016 we received a tax refund of $2160.00 for tax year 2015, we were not supposed to have because the preparer misfiled our returns under the wrong ID number. The tax preparer, Tracy **, refuses to make it right as does the corporate office in Kansas City, Missouri. As a result, because of the preparer's mistake, we will have to reimburse the state for the erroneous 2015 state tax refund. Tracy did not warn us that the $2160 refund was issued in error nor did the tax commission give us any notification.

A tax commission agent called me a week ago to demand we reimbursement of the $2160.00, paid to us in error for tax year 2015. Tracy ** and H&R Block know we owe the money due to her mistake, but she and the H&R Block refuse to reimburse us for the $2160.00 tax filing mistake. Tracy ** was rude, belligerent and uncooperative when I emailed her to request that she reimburse us for the mistake. I have had to file a complaint with H&R Block company headquarters and have another H&R Block tax prep specialist reprocess our tax returns. What a nightmare! And who knows if we will get reimbursement for our tax preparation "specialist's" stupid mistake!

Today, May 30, 2017 I called the H&R Block complaints department to follow up. They refuse to reimburse us and wash their hands of the matter. Tracy will do no more than reimburse us for the penalties incurred for late payment for taxes owed to the tax commission for tax year 2016. H&R complaints backs her up. A certified public accountant whom I have had prepare our taxes in previous years says he carries insurance for just such occasions. If a client owes due to a mistake he has made, the insurance covers him. He says the H&R Block should be held responsible. The tax commission agent says I should go after Tracy ** for the $2160.00, but that I am ultimately responsible for the debt to the state of Utah.

Rudeness + Incompetence = Increased Income?!? Today, I assisted a elderly gentleman in setting up his online account in order to print his 2015 & 2016 tax returns as his wife passed away this year and she used to manage all of their records. His online account stated that there were no tax records. I spoke with the technical department which stated that as he had his records done in office that there was nothing they could do about it as it is a different computer system than they work with. They passed me on to customer relations who assured us that as we had exhausted all options we would not have to pay $50 to have the records printed if the gentleman went to the 3262 Central Ave E, St. Petersburg FL office as his regular office is closed.

We were advised that customer relations would send a message to that message under the gentleman's name to waive the fee. I advised the gentleman to call to make sure they got the message from customer relations before heading there. He called and passed the phone to me, to explain the situation the manager, resulting in the manager adamantly stating that she refused to waive the fee under any circumstances as "customer relations doesn't matter because they are not in retail and do not know how much it costs to buy paper and ink. Also customers are responsible to keep track of the papers given out at their appointment. He must pay $50 if he wants it printed or he can go to his online account."

I again stated that we already opened his account and there were no tax records. The manager then stated that she guessed that the 4922-A 38 Ave N., St. Petersburg, FL 33710 office didn't upload the documents but still refused to waive the fee. I asked who I could escalate this matter to but she stated that she is the manager and there is no one else I could speak to.

In the end the elderly gentleman was forced to take a trip to the office and pay $50 to get his tax returns. Afterwards he stated that's life and it's only $50. It may be a small fee but it the principle of it that concerns me. Afterwards, on my own, I tried to make a complaint to customer relations but I was cut off stating that they couldn't do anything without speaking to the elderly gentleman. Of course, he is a gentleman and would never complain but something must be done about this.

The elderly are being taken advantage because H&R Block employees who don't do their jobs uploading documents into the online system means extra income to H&R Block in the form of fees; likely the reason no one cares about competence at H&R Block. I would write H&R Block but I'm sure I'd get the same reply as customer relations; something like 'We can't do anything because this letter isn't from the customer'. Ultimately, H&R Block employees were technically incompetent, deceptive, rude, discredited their own internal departments, pointed the finger to blame other offices, refused to provide a chain of command for resolving matters, and were heartless in a truly sad extenuating circumstance.

We were audited by the IRS and took the letter and the year in question to the manager of the Collierville TN store. She said she would take care of the mistakes. We did not hear from her for months and she would not return our calls. After 6 months we found out that our 3 yrs of returns had been lost by her. The Company could not verify where they were and the person responsible Polly ** refused to respond to their inquiry. It is now over a year, our papers with all our personal info is still not been found and there has been no response from corporate. This is criminal.

This is quite possibly the worst service ever received. We used H&R Block for our business to lodge BAS and PAYG. Their invoices showed almost $400 of unexplained bookkeeping fees. They could not explain these fees after asking repetitively what they were for, after some time they came to the conclusion that they were quarterly installments for the tax return at the end of the financial year so that the bill at that time would not be so much. That would have a been a great idea had they discussed this with us first and could have given us a straight answer to start with. I am still quite sure that this was not the case. They were trying to rip us off.

We also paid a lump upfront sum when starting up the business which was to have help with any bookkeeping needs whenever necessary. This seems to not exists to them as every time we contacted them they were charging us. They said business comes first, before personal taxes however that was so not the case. I needed to ask a few simple questions about superannuation and it took weeks of calling and being told I'd get a callback before I was finally helped. They then tried to say I was lying and that never happened, they have always been on call and ready to help. Veronica herself was so rude in the matter and I can't recommend enough to not go through her especially. Needless to say once this tax return has been lodged which we were unknowingly paying for we WILL NEVER BE USING H&R BLOCK AGAIN.

Filing taxes with H&R Block was the worst customer experience of my life. The first person who prepared my tax return was completely incompetent. After my appointment, I went home and ran my information through Turbo Tax and saved hundreds of dollars that my "tax professional" at H&R Block failed to save me. I asked for a refund and was jerked around between the corporate offices and my local office with corporate offices claiming they could do absolutely nothing to help me. The manager of my local office ignored FOUR emails that I sent her. Finally I was refunded $100 out of the over $300 I paid and another tax professional fixed my sloppily done returns. This was not sufficient -- I requested a full refund since the first tax professional had zero idea what she was doing. I will never use this company again and would warn anyone else against using them.

When we first sat down the accountant briefly looked at our W-2's then he became very vague and first stated that we could possibly owe taxes. I left the office in tears. When he finally sat down and did our taxes it turned out we were getting $4464.68 back. We owe back taxes that we had setup a payment plan for and had been paying on for 2 years. We asked him if this would affect us getting our refund back and he assured us it wouldn't. We had been waiting for our refund for 3 1/2 weeks and nothing. It was electronically submitted and should have been back in two weeks. We called our accountant which he never answered and never returned.

We turned to the IRS who told us how to check on our refund. Shockingly we learned that our tax refund was reduced down to $464.00 and was paid out 2 weeks earlier. The accountant took his $400.00 and deposited $64.00 into our account. The IRS took the money for the back tax and the accountant knew it and never contacted us to inform us we were getting next to nothing!!! That money was going to be used to help my daughter into grad school. I am devastated that I can no longer help her! He didn't have the common decency to call us and tell us what happened!!! He refuses to answer our calls!! I will never use H&R Block again!!! On top of everything else they make it impossible to leave a review on their website!!

First, they upsell you to their advantage product and then they forget to file the taxes for 2012. Now the IRS is holding the current refund hostage until 2012 taxes are filed. Of course, when you try the Customer Service line you only get someone completely inept of answering any questions and if you try to contact your tax preparer, she is not working there anymore. Big surprise! The whole of H&R Block is a rip-off and needs to be put out of business.

I did a walk in to file my taxes 04/13/17... I was seen by a tax agent who reluctantly saw me claiming she had a appt in 15 minutes. We Sat down for about 10 minutes for a simple tax return that was almost finished when she told me to come back the next day to finish because she had her appt, she got up to check to see if they were there and they weren't so we wrapped it up in about 10 more minutes in which she told me it will be 405 dollars with a 50 dollar rebate. I have 2 family members that had a lot more to file than me and were only charged 225 dollars. I feel I was scammed since the price wasn't told to me until it was done, keep in mind it was around or less than 20 minutes.

I filled my every year tax online on H&R Block's electronic service. I never had any problem before but for tax return 2016, it completely went wrong. Either it is fraud or freak. After all I have done filing my return, I am still waiting for the return but when I checked out the status after two weeks, it wasn't filed through IRS. It totally failed and cause me to let filling fee. And I am worrying about the fraud that whether my confidentiality was exposed by H&R Block's website. It's so terrible!!!

Dealt with the owner of the Main Street Tillamook H&R Block on behalf of an elderly friend. An error was made in 2014 where this branch forgot to electronically submit her taxes. While a $50 discount was eventually promised off her 2016 tax filing, the owner acted like it wasn't a big deal to forget to file and I was the one with the problem making a big deal out of the situation. Having decided I was a "contentious" influence in my role as Power of Attorney (in place to protect my friend financially), he would take data from me on behalf of the tax return, but refused to communicate with me and went directly to my friend's home. He asked for a check for the 2016 taxes, but failed to give my neighbor that promised discount.

I complained via 1-800-HRBlock customer service, but they were unable to do anything to protect this elderly woman in this situation and said she needed to handle it on her own directly with the owner. So instead of her feeling safe with a person in place to help her financially, she now has to handle a stressful situation on her own to get fair treatment. She sent a letter to the owner of the office and H&R Block and has asked for her $50 discount, but will not be working with H&R Block in the future.

Recently ordered this online software to prepare my personal taxes. There was an option to create a joint filing for myself and my spouse. But once this option was chosen, you could not disable it without having to re-purchase it again for a separate filing. It's a scam to get the customer to repurchase the software again. Further, the software had a confusing, difficult interface to use. I had to go elsewhere to buy another tax software. I used TurboTax - far better, and easier to understand.

Worst service ever!! I will never do my taxes again with H&R Block. They are overpriced and can't even do taxes properly. They had me do my taxes and forgot to get me to sign the proper papers before I left 2 days later. I get an email stating that I must have been in a hurry to cash my cheque because I didn't sign the papers and I need to go back there. I wasn't exactly running out of there. Then to email me. I had to drive from Toronto back to Windsor where I did my taxes to sign the papers. Then after I sign them tell me I can't claim my medical expenses because they are dated for this year. Which they were not.

Then I have just recently found out that they messed up my taxes last year and caused me a penalty of 320 because they forgot to enter my savings bonds correctly. So because they had to adjust it revenue Canada charged me 350 for them to adjust my assessment in a penalty fee. I have used H&R Block for 9 years and I found they just get sloppier and sloppier and it's overpriced at that. Never again will I do taxes with them. There is plenty of tax companies who do cash back, don't charge as much and don't heard you in like cattle just to make a quick buck even though it's done wrong. I'm done with them!!

H&R Block messed up my 2015 tax returns so badly that now even my ex husband is getting audited bc of their careless errors. The tax preparers put the wrong social in the wrong box, so it seemed as if I was paying alimony, although it was the other way around. I had bought the Peace of Mind Warranty so thought they'd help with the penalties, interests, taxes, etc, BUT they refused to pay anything w/out a valid excuse as to why. These criminals will screw you over then leave you paying thousands for their mistakes, which they fully admitted to making. HORRIBLE!

I sent my 2016 tax refund in on February 16 2017 and I still havent received it. It's april 26, I called the irs and they cannot find my tax return. I called H&R Block and the person who answered the phone said they would contact me at 6:45pm, but didnt. When I trie d calling backno one answered the phones.

I've always used H&R Block. This year they are holding 691.00 of my money saying I owe them from 8 years ago for a prepaid emerald card. I told them that they took it out of my refund that I got back that year! It's a prepaid card! I was on hold for an hour waiting for the man to get back on phone. Now he says I have to wait for them to call me back! I'm getting robbed and they're getting away with it. This is not fair. I will never use H&R Block ever again considering I've used them since 1998. What can be done? This is so wrong.

I had information for the preparation of an estate tax return sent to the H&R Block office in Pinehurst, NC by my estate attorney in June, 2016. I was moving from the area in a month, but left the estate return to be done by this office since my attorney who had all the estate information was near by. That was a very serious mistake. After I moved to another part of the state on July 1, 2016, I called numerous times to see when the return would be done. I kept being told it would be done "that week." I was also told that the return was not due until Spring, 2017. Finally, in January, 2017, I called my attorney about the problem I was having concerning the return and she found out that the return had been due in Sept. 2016. She informed the tax person at H&R Block of this. The return was still not being done.

Finally, in February, 2017, I talked to the manager of the office and she promised me that she would see that the return was done "that week." NOTHING. I started calling again and then finally got the e-mail address and started e-mailing. I kept being promised that the return would be done and if there were any penalties from the IRS, that the H&R Block office would pay them. The preparer told me that she was going to my attorney's office and picking up papers she needed and that was holding things up. When April came and still no return, I called my attorney to find out that the preparer HAD NOT been in contact nor visited my attorney's office. She had outright lied.

In mid-April, I finally contacted the headquarters for H&R Block to try and get some assistance. They opened a case, but just contacted the Pinehurst, NC office and were told that the office was going to do the return. H&R Block headquarters closed the file. I got a call from the Pinehurst office telling me they had done the return, and that I owed them over $500.00. I had told them previously that I thought I should not have to pay too much after what they had put me through. The owner also had said something about a discount. NO DISCOUNT and they had NO apologies and just told me that "that is what the computer says you owe."

I again contacted the headquarters of H&R Block and was called back today telling me that they couldn't do anything about it. They could say something to the owner about not treating me well, but that was all. I have never experienced such unprofessional conduct. They have put me through extreme stress and it has been a terrible experience. My family has used H&R Block for years and I did for this year's tax return. However, after this, I will never use them again.

There is nothing wrong with the H&R Block on-line interface, but I felt like I was held hostage. After spending two hours entering my information, I was told that I had to. But the premium service for access to a form that should have been a basic form. Then I had to buy a tax pro review - this was not optional. All in all, I had to spend $160 to submit my taxes. Never again!! It felt like a victim of pathetic up-selling. "Very" overpriced when compared to other on-line services! And I was a long-time H&R Block customer. Not anymore.

I filed my taxes on H&R Block website and it wouldn't let me go any further until I paid for the Deluxe package that includes a tax professional. I couldn't print out my information that I had entered and it forced me to file an extension which I didn't want to do... as Taxes weren't due for a few days. I received an email after I filed the extension from the H&R tax professional stating that they were reviewing my taxes and would get back to me. The next day I received another email stating they needed better copies of my forms so I resent the information. For the next several days I emailed and called the tax professional that was supposedly working on my taxes and never received any response.

Days later I'm still late on my taxes, have not filed my taxes and spent two hours in a local H&R facility only to get a phone number to call, to try to get reimbursed my cost for the deluxe package. They should be held responsible for not finishing my paperwork, not getting back to me and NOT filing my taxes! I've since made an appointment with a professional CPA that will help me. In the meantime my tax penalties for state and fed keep climbing because of their lack of professionalism and poor customer service! THEY SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN!

This does nothing if the IRS does not think you are a risk. All this company does is fill out the form that you can fill out at the IRS. You are paying $30 for someone to fill out a form that you can do yourself. They claim to help you get a pin number from the IRS. They can't. Only the IRS determines this and they send you a letter in November or December. Tax Identity Shield is a sub-contractor and H&R Block cannot help you with your problem. You only have 7 days to get your money back.

I had my 2016 taxes prepared in the Shawnee Kansas H&R Block location in March 2016. We were almost finished and the tax adviser was ready to submit my return when I asked if I would be eligible for a deduction due to the high out of pocket cost of my health insurance. She hadn't even thought of that and then told me that I would. I also had other expenses that I had incurred that I was able to increase that figure. Since I thought to ask this question, I was able to increase my refund by over $1000. Also, I had a 1095 form but it was missing a health insurance payment for the month of March.

The tax adviser told me she would take my word for it that I had health insurance. She didn't ask me to double check my paperwork to make sure I wasn't missing another form and it didn't appear to matter. My taxes were filed and three weeks later I received a letter from the IRS that I did indeed need to account for the month of March 2016. It turns out when I logged into the healthcare.gov, I had two 1095 forms instead of just one. When I took this letter to my tax adviser along with both forms, I was told she didn't have time to work on it and I needed to find help at another office. I paid $441.50 for a service which should have included expertise and knowledge in preparing tax returns. I won't go back to H&R Block.

I had gone to H&R Block, which I have used continually. But now will never use them again. My experience at the location in Collierville, Tn was horrible. I feel like my taxes are incorrect. When I asked the tax person a question about my health ins. deductions along with medicines, as well as a couple of bills I need to include that I had paid, she quickly let me know..."oh that's not going to help you". Their fees are a rip off. In the past when I went to a location, the person always said "I have a coupon would you like to use it towards the fee", quite generous I might add. But going to them for the past 2 years, I have had my taxes prepared wrong. When you confront them about this they act as if you had shot them.

I now call H&R Block, H&R Rob-ya. The only time they find money is for IRS, not the client. I will never use them again. I would also like to say maybe us people that are not 100 years old, I mean it's a shame that the elderly have to work, but good grief, there comes a time when you have to say to yourself as a company is this a good step. I mean this lady couldn't figure out where to put my IRS information, and she asked a younger guy to help her. And he said..."I don't know".

If I knew that I would get charged $478.00 to file my taxes with H&R Block, I would have chosen a different route. I've been claiming a tax loss with a large federal and state returns, and feel like I have been taken an advantage of. I was filing taxes for a full time job for part of the year and for two self-employment venues for the rest of the year (Uber/Lyft + real estate). I was satisfied with the level of service by a senior accountant who worked with me. Yet, in my opinion, this does not justify the cost.

I paid H&R Block to look over my tax return before submitting to the IRS. The 8962 form was not filled in completely and the IRS held my return till this was corrected. I corrected this, not the tax professional that I was assigned to. After this was completed the IRS released a small amount of my return that H&R Block was sure to take their fees from and I was mailed a letter that I was being audited in the 8962. So, now I have to wait on the rest of my refund as I have to submit more paperwork to the IRS on the 8962. Why charge for the service of a tax professional to double check your refund if they do not see that their online system did not completely fill out a paper and me have to do the legwork! I emailed the tax professional all of the paperwork as requested to file the return and I still had to correct the form!

According to "support" the software will allow you to enter anything, no matter how unlikely or even impossible, without raising any flags. It will allow information that is self contradictory. Whatever gets entered is your fault. In this case it allowed dollars to be input associated with dependents when I listed the number of dependents as "zero". The state caught this error immediately. H&R Block didn't even pop an "are you sure?" window. According to the floor supervisor, once you submit your return, in other words once they have your money, they "can't" issue a refund. You cannot escalate above a floor supervisor.

Expert Review

Melissa Hincha-OwnbyTax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.    More about Melissa→

H&R Block has prepared and filed more than 600 million tax returns since 1955 and although the online version is a more modern incarnation of this service, taxpayers can have peace of mind knowing that they are working with one of the most experienced tax service providers in the nation. In 2012, the company processed more than 25.6 million tax returns including 20 percent of the returns filed by low-income taxpayers that claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit.

• Variety: H&R Block offers several different packages that meet the needs of a wide variety of taxpayers - from a basic free file to a more complex return for a sole proprietor. H&R Block At Home customers can also grant access to a local H&R Block professional, which allows for more personalized support and assistance.
  • Audit support: All packages, including the Free File option, come with free audit support and representation from an enrolled agent.
  • Multiple refund options: Multiple refund options are available including direct deposit, refund anticipation checks and a prepaid MasterCard.
  • Upsells: H&R Block uses refund anticipation checks. Refund anticipation checks come with higher fees and there are only certain instances in which this option is used.
  • Basic package: The basic package is priced at $34.95.
  • Best for Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals, Sole Proprietors, Taxpayers with

Compare Tax Software and Services