Get matched with the best Tax Relief company for you!

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.71/5

H&R Block Reviews

Original review: July 8, 2019

I've used their tax prep software for over a decade, and ALWAYS been impressed with the ease to complete it, search for forms, enter info, etc. Our life underwent several changes all at once, so it resulted in us filing VERY late for one prior year. Due to that lateness, electronic filing was not supported, and I TOTALLY understand how that would be the case. What I DON'T LIKE, was that once the software determined a paper return was necessary, it did not transfer our pin #'s to the FEDERAL paper copy automatically (it DID do it for the state return), nor alert us to do so. As a result, the IRS processed our return in an extended expected timeframe, & we will wait even LONGER for our paper refund check because the pins weren't on the federal return.

If there was ANY INDICATOR H&R Block utilized, I would have CERTAINLY wrote-in the PINS - I thoroughly checked my return for all the elements they recommended, but they do NOT include one to ensure a direct deposit can occur. This omission delays our refund for additional weeks. While I acknowledge this glitch, I WILL STILL use H&R Block tax software over ANY of their competitors!

Original review: March 16, 2019

I've been this software when it was called TaxCut before acquired by H&R Block. There were times when I lost the activation code after purchasing and was able to get another one from the customer service. This one works fine and price is reasonable. I've also used the more expensive one and don't feel any difference. I've never had to request the available human service, so I don't know how good or bad that is. Also, the reason I'm keeping using this one is just to make sure there is enough competition for the other major tax software provider. I know they've been trying to significantly hiking the price, but the competition keep them in check.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 8, 2019

When I filed income taxes for the first time in 1993, as I recall there was no software available for consumers to file on their own. I most likely filed by paper, and mailed them for a few years. I used TurboTax for several years, and in 2016, my first time filing income taxes in Pennsylvania for the first time in over 20 years, and with a different address and bank account, TurboTax would not allow me to update my personal information. I used H&R Block, the free version, and I've had no issues whatsoever. In hindsight, I should have used H&R Block several years ago, and it's now what I'll use for the remainder of my life filing income taxes.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I've used H&R Block Deluxe for 10 years or more, and it is very easy to navigate to import prior year data, make new entries, recheck entries, verify entries for missing data, and electronically file tax return. Since I am a regular user, I am used to its format. I wanted to try a free TurboTax Deluxe online this year for comparison, and I was very disappointed, thinking that its features would be the same. However, I had some oil lease rental income this year, and when I entered the rent, a note popped up that said the Deluxe version didn't support this entry and I needed to upgrade to Premier version for $55. H&R Block's Deluxe version covered this entry with no problem. So, as you can imagine, I never proceeded further with TurboTax, and finished my return with my favorite H&R Block.

I also observed that the online TurboTax version was slow as compared to my computer run H&R Block program. I saw no way to navigate freely online, as it only proceeded in a step-by-step process. Perhaps there was a way to navigate easily, but I couldn't find it, and I stopped using the program after I found out that I would need to upgrade to a higher version of TurboTax. So, if you are considering purchasing a tax program, don't presume that all Deluxe versions include the same features. TurboTax costs much more than H&R Block, and this is also a major concern to me. I also saved money by downloading the email version from Walmart compared to the CD version. It downloaded the program quickly and seamlessly, so I will always use the email download program in the future.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Activation Code for Free E-Filing Really works. When I filed my taxes for my daughter I got an error that the free E-file was not a valid code. I called H&R Block and they gave me a new one to use. However I just filed my taxes yesterday and what you need to do when you submit the filing is get rid of the "-" that is automatically populated by the software with that code. That "-" is what is causing the file to say it is not a valid code. The reason why I tried again after I talked to H&R Block they told me not to include the "-" in the new code that they gave me. So when I filed mine I decided to try the activation code that was given to me with the software and it did work. I hope this helps people because I was quite frustrated with having to figure this out.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about H&R Block?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

My wife and I have been filing for some years with the rural office here in Crockett Texas. We always paid for the better service just in case something came up. We recently received a notice from the IRS billing us for over $4,500 from our 2017 returns. We provided all the forms required for the return but Block overlooked one of the forms. We received a large refund that year and I asked them to double check the return to be sure. They told me it was fine. Upon receipt of the bill from IRS, I went back to Block (the franchise has different owners now) and they rechecked the entire return.

The new figures show we owed close to $6,000. However we were assured that our "Peace of Mind" insurance would fix things because it was obviously Block's error and not ours. Two weeks later we received a form letter from Block denying our claim. We talked to the office in town and we are told that Block is denying ALL Peace of Mind insurance claims from franchise locations. The only claims they are honoring are from corporate locations. If that is the way the program is set up then why were we allowed to purchase this "protection"? My wife and I are both on disability and have zero savings (due to medical bills) to cover this problem, and we certainly have no resources for an attorney.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

Horrible Ridgewood NJ location. Made mistake on my taxes. Now I’m in debt with IRS $3000! I trusted these people and they won’t give me options. Terrible. Stay away! I am definitely seeking legal advice as this has never happened to me before. It’s completely unfair and not to mention the strain on my family as I am a single Mom of two in college!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

Recently received an audit from 2016 and the tax specialist understated my income significantly based on personal judgment call and submitted. When getting second opinions, they all stated this judgment call should not have been hers to make. Spent several weeks working with H&R Block about the issue which essentially got nowhere. Now I owe a significant amount due to this tax specialist. Will never use H&R Block again and had my 2017 taxes reviewed by another party just in case and very glad I did not use them for 2018.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Do never trust H&R Block. I trusted them for my tax refund and it was a complete disaster. Several months of paperwork for a completely wrong result. I, first of all, explained my situation and asked for a budget for their services, and they said between 80-95$, which I thought it was expensive but acceptable. After the service was done, they gave me my tax files and their invoice, which doubled the budget they gave me in the beginning, saying that they didn't expect some of the paperwork they had to do (although I exposed all about my situation at first and having almost daily emails for weeks, they couldn't have explained this increase of the price before..?)

The worst part is still to come: their work was finished (and I, of course, finally paid them) and, although I was expecting my refund to be negative (so that the CRA was owing me money), their conclusion was that I was owing almost 2.000$ to the CRA. I asked for some explanations about this because I didn't find any logic in that because of my situation. Two other people of H&R answered to the questions on my email, supporting the conclusions the 1st consultant gave me. After all, I accepted and faced the "debt".

After months, CRA reviewed my tax refund and turned out that it was completely wrong. Not only I was not owing them that big amount but they actually owed me more than 1000$ dollars. So.. what I got from H&R was: poor service, unprofessional results, unexpected invoice (different from the first budget without justifying), long months of worries for no reasons and useless answers to my concerns.

Take into account that I don't currently live in Canada and English is not my first language, so all this process has been really had to understand, to deal with and to go through. All of this for nothing, because they don't care and don't understand that you trust some professionals when you are lost but they give you more things to worry about instead. I hope this will help other people to avoid the mistake I made trusting H&R block.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I submitted my tax documents online and was assigned a tax pro to work on my tax filing. A week has passed. I received no update. I didn't even know if anyone was working on my tax or not. I sent her a dozen messages but never got responded. I called H&R block customer services. After many long phone calls being directed from one department to another, they couldn't even help me reach this tax pro. All I want to know is if anyone is working on my tax or not. I was told the best thing they can do for me is to reassign me a new tax pro to work on my tax. What a waste of time. I am not going to use H&R block again.

H&R Block expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

H&R Block has prepared and filed more than 600 million tax returns since 1955 and although the online version is a more modern incarnation of this service, taxpayers can have peace of mind knowing that they are working with one of the most experienced tax service providers in the nation. In 2012, the company processed more than 25.6 million tax returns including 20 percent of the returns filed by low-income taxpayers that claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit.

• Variety: H&R Block offers several different packages that meet the needs of a wide variety of taxpayers - from a basic free file to a more complex return for a sole proprietor. H&R Block At Home customers can also grant access to a local H&R Block professional, which allows for more personalized support and assistance.

• Audit support: All packages, including the Free File option, come with free audit support and representation from an enrolled agent.

• Multiple refund options: Multiple refund options are available including direct deposit, refund anticipation checks and a prepaid MasterCard.

• Upsells: H&R Block uses refund anticipation checks. Refund anticipation checks come with higher fees and there are only certain instances in which this option is used.

• Basic package: The basic package is priced at $34.95.

• Best for: Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals, Sole Proprietors, Taxpayers with

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

H&R Block Company Information