1.29/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2565 H&R Block Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

My husband and I went to the Sanford H&R Block on 2/19/19. We usually do our taxes online but this year we had purchased a home. Trying to sort through the website and find the information required became a bit overwhelming. There were so many confusing questions so we wanted to make sure we were doing it right. Once we arrived, we were able to be seen promptly. We provided all our paperwork to the tax professional. She began with providing us costs upfront since they advertise everywhere “Know the price, before you start” and “no hidden fees”. We were told it would cost $99.00. We were sure to mention that we attempted to complete them online and that we just wanted to make sure we were doing it correctly.

Once the tax pro was about to finish imputing all the information into the system, they apologized because what we did at home was accurate. They felt we were wasting time and money having a tax pro complete for us. Since we agreed to the $99.00, we knew we had to finish. Once our visit was complete, we were provided a break down of our taxes for the year.

At that point, we were told there are extra fees since they had to complete extra forms. We were told these forms were not noticed on the price list prior to and our total is $189.00 and not $99.00. The service was average but we didn’t care about that. If a company as big as H&R Block hires people that do not know how to do their job, they should not advertise “no hidden fees”. They did not honor what was promised! Be very cautious of this as there are in fact hidden fees! We will not be using H&R Block in the future, nor recommending to anyone we know.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I went online to the free software, realized it would not do what I needed, upgraded and paid by credit card, at the end of input said I couldn’t do what I needed with the free software and had to pay another $18.00 to get what I needed. Spent 4 hours including phone time trying to get it straightened out. I called a local office and they quoted me $400 and didn’t have any way to credit back the money I already was out. WHAT A SCAM!

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

H&R Block did NOT give me the price it would cost to prepare my taxes prior to my appointment. I am VERY disappointed in your service, and truly feel as if I have been robbed. I paid more than double the amount I have been paying over the last few years as a loyal customer. I will not be returning, unless H&R Block will provide a compensation for lack of transparency.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I will never use them or recommend them to anybody. They don’t tell the price to do your taxes until they are done. $150 to input one W-2, so maybe 10 to 15 minutes max. Went in because I needed the rapid refund, only to be told at the end I couldn’t get the rapid refund because it was less than $1000. If this place had any kind of decency, they would advise you to maybe do it at home because it would save you a lot of money. After speaking to the manager, they offered me coupons for next years taxes. They can take those coupons and shove them somewhere else. Never use H&R Block for anything!?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I went to H&R Block to do my taxes and they charged me $30.00 dollars to do a $12.00 dollar interest from a bank. They don't want a piece of the pie. They want it all plus. Buyer Beware. Do not use H&R.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about H&R Block?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

First I had told the person preparing my taxes several times when we are at the banking part of the refund. I looked up and she said we were all done!!!! The INcorrect information to a third party bank card that has been canceled and extremely difficult to get a person because the phone number is only a recording. That is where my refund is going! She said through H&R that they could “possibly“ change it!!!! But no guarantees and probably would go to closed account. That was all she could do and while trying to get her to do something about this took 45 minutes longer and I missed early overtime and was now looking at being late for work ALL for the price of $145.00!!!! I can’t describe how upset I am and was a very hard lesson (probably won’t get my refund) to NEVER NEVER return to H&R Block.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I paid them 360 for the advance and was told it was put on hold. I am absolutely disgusted. I will NEVER go back. I could have e-filed for 48 bucks and done it myself. Total racketeering, I have a credit score of 668 and no late or missed payments on ANYTHING. I am absolutely disgusted and will be shaming them to everyone I know as well as people I don’t.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I used H&R Block’s web based tax preparation service, including the extras, expert advice, peace of mind, etc., I immediately paid their invoice in full when it was presented, $273. I noticed when I printed my personal documents, that invoice showed an amount still owing and they were refusing to e-file my returns. Using the web based system provides, absolutely NO communication with ANY support short of your paid advisor, via a seldom functioning “Message Center”. Through here I was able to find out that “BLOCK” had miscalculated sales tax leaving me underpaid $3.08! No problem, I’ll pay it. Yes, huge problem! They have no avenue available for me to pay. They don’t know what to do. Meanwhile, my $273 and 3 returns are being held captive, and I have what the little boy shot at! AVOID BLOCK AT ALL COSTS!!!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I filed my tax returns with H&R Block. What a scam they're! They never told me how much it would cost me until at the very end. For two W2s I was charged $500, which was a quarter of my federal refund. As if that wasn't enough, H&R Block held on to my refund for as long as they could when the IRS released it. The IRS released the money almost a week ago and told me I should get it BY FEBRUARY 13. Today is February 12, the money is still not there. It is the first time my refund has taken this long after being released by the IRS. If you can, use a free service at an IRS office or local library or a private tax return preparer.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I want to warn everyone NOT to use H&R Block in Canton. They did not quote me a price up front. When I asked for the price the tax associate said they had to see what documents I was filing before I could have a price...which was given to me after the work was done. I didn't walk out because I felt they had already rendered a service. The manager said I could of walked out...Really? Beware, they nickel and dime you for everything. My bill was almost $500. I filed single with one 1099 and two W2's. My past accountant charged me $250 max. When I called and complained the manager said she believed me when I said I was not quoted a price upfront but only offered me $50 refund. Unacceptable! They are a rip off and I will use another TAX PROFESSIONAL NEXT YEAR.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I chose the FREE tax filing, but because I have an HSA through my employer, they automatically upgraded me to a "deluxe" package that I couldn't get rid of. The deluxe package is $29.99. Then they charged me $35.99 to file my state taxes, but I have a student loan repayment credit that made me ineligible for online filing. Meaning I still have to file the state taxes physically. The email they sent me says "all sales final, no refunds or returns." It also says "write a review for your purchase" but there's no place to do that. By the way, they encourage you to put your money on an Emerald Mastercard. Or they'll buy an Amazon Gift Card on your behalf. Both of those things sound scammy as hell! I chose FREE and they charged me $67. Absolute waste of money. Do not use H&R Block.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Bought desktop download and found after entering my railroad pension that it transferred to Line 9 of the Iowa 1040. Iowa excludes railroaders' pensions. Spent a good 6 hr chatting with 3 or 4 different ones before getting a workaround. Couldn't get a definitive answer on whether they would fix or not. So beware Iowa railroad retirees, double check if you use H&R Block. I don't care which tax software/online company you use, it helps to have an understanding of where figures should end up.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

When entering my deductions for a home office business, there is nowhere to enter office supplies or telephone use, that I can find. I have used this program for many years, and never had a problem, but this year is the pits. Also, wanted to see if it would be best to file separately from my husband, so used their guide to determine this and it had our entries all mixed up. His Federal taxes paid were listed as mine, etc. So, I decide to access customer support, and all I can find are a bunch of canned answers to questions I don't have. Next year I'll pay the few dollars more for Turbo Tax...

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Been on hold with 15+ individuals now over the course of 3 hours. IRS denied my submission after using the Tax Pro Go online service. Every time I state that I need a refund I am told I'll need to be transferred to the Tax Pro Go department. At this point, I'm pretty sure they don't exist.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I thought this would be easy to file online. I signed up with an account and at first was straightforward. Then after I got to the part where you put in your W2 info I selected that and put in my wages, taxpayer ID, etc. Then at the very end it asked for a code? No explanation of what a code was? There was a help file and when I typed it in...it just came back with there are different types of codes...but again no explanation. I looked all over my W2 and there is no code number. So then after 10 minutes of frustration I thought I could leave it off and call someone. However, then found out there is no "save" function, which is ridiculous as I imagine many people might want to save the file if they needed to come back later to finish it. So I just exited it and lost the 20 minutes of all the info I wasted putting in my info online. No chat, email, or phone number to ask a question. Don't even bother with this.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I have used their software for decades, never any problems. This year the CD loaded a program which will not allow me to print schedule 1040 without printing 6 additional pages of schedules. That's six pieces of paper and the ink to print them getting wasted. When I go to "forms", select "1040", it shows "1040 and schedules 1 through 6". BUT, I cannot print 1040 without printing those unnecessary 6 extra pages. When the print dialog window comes up, only option is to "print all". They need to change the software so that I can choose "print pages" and type in the ones I want to print. It seems to me that any one of their programmers could fix this in about 15 minutes, so, HOW ABOUT FIXING IT???

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

My husband and I just got back from H&R Block very unhappy and confused. It showed us 2 different things. First page 3,200 is what we were getting back then she clicked the next page and it said we would be getting back 2,800 and on top of that she lays it on us because we filed for our 1 year old that the fee was gonna be $400. That was very unexpected and frustrating so We asked what that 3,200 was and why it went down to 2,800 without an explanation. She said she wasn't sure and that it might have been another tax deduction. We get in our car and look thru the paperwork and that 3,200 is not in there anywhere so why was it on the computer and not in our paperwork. We will be filing elsewhere for our 2019 refund. Too many questions un-answered and a ridiculous unexpected fee towards the end.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

A very simple but major mistake was made by their software. I got gigged for $800 and change and a $150 fine by NY State Tax. Forget their "100 Accuracy and Satisfaction Guaranteed" crap. Two days on the phone calling their "hotline" and corporate HQ. Once they hear of your problem you get switched around then put on hold for three hours. Finally you get Haji in India who speaks little English, who ends up telling you to go to a local H&R Block office. WE'RE TALKING THE IRS HERE NOT A PROBLEM WITH A TOASTER!!! If you value your wallet stay away from these flea-bags at all cost.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Buyer be aware... I went to H&R Block because they were advertising $59 online to do tax prep in the local office. After 2 hours of watching the women fumble around on the keyboard and telling me how awful the new tax changes are she finished up by saying that will be $402... What? What happened to the special? She showed me this laminated card that didn't make any sense either because the prices went from $59 to $189. Scam. The true irony is that I am getting $65 dollars back for federal and owe $65 to the state but now I questioning the H&Rs ability because she listed me as single instead of head of household - a $4000. Error.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I went to H&R Block to file my taxes like I have done every single year for almost 20 years. I have ALWAYS applied and received a refund anticipation loan. Because of the stupid PATH Act that is totally screwing over people who get Earned income credit and Child Tax Credit by NOT even issuing tax refunds for these people until February 27th AT THE EARLIEST I really needed this RAL more than you know. I get all the way through the tax preparation and everything, pay over $400 in tax preparation fees and the fee they charge for the refund anticipation loan, to receive a text message and an hour and a half later telling me that Axos bank denied my refund anticipation loan, solely based on my credit.

This is a scam and it's so unbelievably unfair, because the people who need these RAL are poor or low income and almost all of them have children or are getting earned income credit, so knowing that they won't even be able to get their taxes until February 27th at the earliest makes the refund anticipation loan needed even more. And to have this stupid Bank denying People based solely on their credit because poor people and low-income people don't have the greatest credit to begin with no. It's just a scam. Do not get suckered like I did and waste money on this crap because you won't get approved and you'll just be sitting around kicking yourself in the head for getting screwed with a ridiculous amount of fees from H&R Block for nothing. I will not be returning to H&R Block to get my taxes filed ever again!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Filed taxes yesterday January 28th 2019 and was told that I should receive money in my account via direct deposit within 24 hours. I noticed I hadn't received a deposit. I called to find out I was denied. I asked why and the representative told me that they are given a reason why and told me I could call the bank and gave me a number of **. I call that number and am asked to put in my social security number and get a message that this number is not recognized. So I call H&R back to tell them this and have been on hold now for 25 minutes.

Then I inquire about how long it will take and I get told that the government has a backlog for people with dependents and earned income credit and that those applications won't be processed until February 15th in the order they are received. My conclusion. H&R Block is working with the government. I did not have this problem last year with Jackson Hewitt. This is bull. I have never been denied a loan on my taxes. And now you tell me the game has changed based on credit check???

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I used H&R Block for the better part of 7 years. I thought they were a good company and I thought the emerald card was fair. After disputing a charge having them chargeback the amount, close the emerald account twice to only find they never did close it for them charge me again has truly brought the truth to my eyes. I made the mistake of trusting you crooks and I will never have a good thing to say about this company again.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Activation Code for Free E-Filing Really works. When I filed my taxes for my daughter I got an error that the free E-file was not a valid code. I called H&R Block and they gave me a new one to use. However I just filed my taxes yesterday and what you need to do when you submit the filing is get rid of the "-" that is automatically populated by the software with that code. That "-" is what is causing the file to say it is not a valid code. The reason why I tried again after I talked to H&R Block they told me not to include the "-" in the new code that they gave me. So when I filed mine I decided to try the activation code that was given to me with the software and it did work. I hope this helps people because I was quite frustrated with having to figure this out.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

They showed me a price list - what they didn't explain was each item they do is charged so it went from $59 to $343 just their fees. Then I asked repeatedly about the rapid refund throughout my process and was told, "Wait 'til it get to the end..." Then found out it does a credit check not based on the amount you're getting back but they have to file before they tell you whether you're approved or not. It took longer than 90 minutes because I had to keep reading the errors to the tax preparer. First and last time using them.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

The whole process was great and easy while filing my taxes. Especially with the tips. However, I was under the impression there would be NO hiding fees. Heard it on the commercial and everything. To be hit with two fees. One for filing and one using having direct deposit. I kinda expected the fee for filing because I must file 1099, but the hiding fees equating to roughly $100.00 before I hit submit, sent me for a loop.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Filed online, state file was rejected and told to mail in, contacted them for a refund as it WAS NOT FREE as they said. Told me they could not refund... Wasted money. Had to mail in my form anyway. I intend to do no more business with them.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I bought the download version which includes 5 free federal eFiles. The Activation Code does not work when filing your return. Called HR Block and they gave me 3 different codes to use and none of them worked. Was told I would have to pay additional fee to eFile. This is clearly an issue of consumer fraud and I am surprised a company as large as HR Block would resort to defrauding its customer base. I have been using HR Block for years but will not use it again and I highly recommend others not to purchase this software. The Money-Back guarantee does not cover the download version and the terms of use state you give up all your legal rights to take action against HR Block.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

H&R Block in Timberville, VA has really great tax preparers who are super friendly. However, the 3000.00 advance loan is a total fraud. They do not tell you Axis Bank - their underwriter - only makes a decision to give you the advance based on credit. Nothing else. It cost me 310.00 for nothing! Total waste of time.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

On Oct 3, 2018 Sprint deducted $1010.50 from my Emerald Card in error. I immediately contacted Sprint who said they never received the funds from the bank. I was told by the bank I needed to file a Dispute to get my money back. I faxed everything they requested over to the bank the same day Oct 3. It is now Nov 2 and I still don’t have my money back. Every time I call they tell me something different. I was originally told MasterCard approved for them to release the funds back to me and now I’m being told I have to wait until Nov 20. Any other bank in the world would have given me my money back. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever dealt with.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Their software prompted to deduct tax preparation fees and then blocked the efile saying it is no longer allowed. (So why was it prompted for and accepted?) They never filed the taxes online, and sent a bill that it was done. When I relooked I had to print, file online and mail. the staff had no idea what to do with the NYS taxes.

H&R Block expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

H&R Block has prepared and filed more than 600 million tax returns since 1955 and although the online version is a more modern incarnation of this service, taxpayers can have peace of mind knowing that they are working with one of the most experienced tax service providers in the nation. In 2012, the company processed more than 25.6 million tax returns including 20 percent of the returns filed by low-income taxpayers that claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit.

• Variety: H&R Block offers several different packages that meet the needs of a wide variety of taxpayers - from a basic free file to a more complex return for a sole proprietor. H&R Block At Home customers can also grant access to a local H&R Block professional, which allows for more personalized support and assistance.

• Audit support: All packages, including the Free File option, come with free audit support and representation from an enrolled agent.

• Multiple refund options: Multiple refund options are available including direct deposit, refund anticipation checks and a prepaid MasterCard.

• Upsells: H&R Block uses refund anticipation checks. Refund anticipation checks come with higher fees and there are only certain instances in which this option is used.

• Basic package: The basic package is priced at $34.95.

• Best for: Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals, Sole Proprietors, Taxpayers with

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

H&R Block Company Information