3.9/5 (725 ratings)

File your taxes for 35% off. Use code SLAYIT35

Get Started with TaxSlayer

Visit Site

About H&R Block

H&R Block is a tax preparation business that offers professional tax services as well as self-service options. If you opt for professional services, H&R Block’s tax experts file your tax returns to get you the best possible refund. H&R Block offers its services both in stores and online, and the company offers free online filing software.

Pros

• Options for every budget
  • 24/7 support by phone, email & chat
  • Work with a tax professional

Cons

• Can cost more than filing yourself

Bottom Line

H&R Block offers professional tax filing services and free tax software. With programs for every budget and 24/7 customer service, H&R Block is great for consumers who need tax help.

File your taxes for 35% off. Use code SLAYIT35

Get Started with TaxSlayer

Visit Site

What is H&R Block?

H&R Block is a tax preparation business that helps people who want to file on their own or hire tax professionals. Customers who decide to use H&R Block’s professional filing services choose between three different service options:

• Meeting with a tax expert one-on-one at your local H&R Block office
  • Dropping off your documents at one of H&R Block’s locations
  • Uploading your documents to H&R Block’s website

With document uploading, you don’t need to visit a physical location to work with an H&R Block tax professional. If a customer chooses to use the H&R Block tax filing system to file their own taxes, they can file on the company's website or use its tax software.

Online filing has multiple service options with or without assistance, including:

• Free
  • Deluxe
  • Premium
  • Self-employed

H&R Block’s tax software has four program options:

• Basic
  • Deluxe + State
  • Premium
  • Premium & Business

H&R Block prices

H&R Block has a variety of options to meet every budget. Fees for working with tax experts using the document upload option start at $49, while the drop-off and in-office services start at $69. Additional fees may apply, including a $44.99 fee for filing state taxes.

Tax software from H&R Block ranges from $29.95 to $89.95 for federal filing, with possible additional state fees.

H&R Block FAQ

How much does it cost to file my taxes with H&R Block?
Depending on the level of help you need, H&R Block doesn’t have to cost anything. However, if you want premium filing options or hands-on help, expect to pay between $29.95 and $104.99.
Is H&R Block good?
H&R Block is one of the best-known names in tax preparation, and it has a long-standing reputation in the tax world. Its prices are reasonable, and its services are suitable for a variety of tax situations.
Can I just walk into H&R Block?
H&R Block does accept walk-ins, but it recommends that you make an appointment before meeting an H&R Block tax expert.
Do you have to pay H&R Block upfront?
No, you don't have to pay H&R Block upfront. It allows you to pay its fees from your tax refund.
What does H&R Block charge for rapid refunds?
H&R Block offers a 0% APR loan as a refund advance to qualifying customers. This advance comes with no finance charges or loan fees. After you file your taxes, your refund should repay your loan.

Is H&R Block good?

H&R Block offers nationwide tax services for people in every tax situation. The company is an ideal choice for consumers searching for free tax filing software or people who want to work with a certified tax professional to get the best possible refund. If you’re searching for tax services, H&R Block is a strong candidate.

H&R Block Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about H&R Block?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

I have been having a terrible time with H&R deluxe software not connecting to the server!! Google it and it's easy to understand. I'm not alone! They are unable to fix this and I have supplied endless information which still gives me the VERY SAME RESULT! They are selling software which has a problem and they are unwilling to fix it!!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2023

I usually file with Turbo Tax but this year some things have changed for me with refund advance and I really wanted the advance. I heard H&R Block offered it. I had to file in person or remotely to qualify for the advance. I understand why now. Anyway after 4 hours of waiting to get started, now comes the best part. It cost me 419 bucks to file. Normally I pay 39 bucks with Turbo. I thought well I need the advance so I did it. Lady did not explain that it goes by your credit score and bam! I was denied. I lost 419 and did not even get the advance. Never Never Never again will I ever file with these guys. I'm pissed. I had a w2 with nothing special. 419 is insane compared to 39 bucks. Ugh.

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

I have used H&R Block Premium Tax software for years. I filed late this year and was paying close attention due to the losses our business took and noted the amount of tax owed based on my taxable income was being calculated incorrectly (29K of taxable income and I owed less than $100). I contacted H&R Block and they provided an updated version of the software that did not fix the problem. No one seemed to know what to do. I have not seen any other complaints about this. Ended up filing a paper return to correct the issue. I would think H&R Block would have some avenue if a bug in their software is detected, someone could email them to let them know and respond. The phone people do not know how to handle this.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

Comments are true. Don't jump into this mess. All one expects is a tax preparer to prepare some basic returns. Until this, and that, and one thing after another and then you end up somewhere between stuck and lost and nobody is there to answer the phone.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

I thought it was smarter to have a Tax Pro help me with my taxes this year. I was wrong. She wasn't thorough and disregarded an issue I brought up to her four times. Instead of getting a refund, I ended up paying $3200 in taxes. I contacted customer service, and my case was escalated. I submitted an online complaint. No one followed up with me. I had to review my own taxes, amend them and send them in myself.

Original review: July 25, 2022

Don't waste your money. Online self-employed software useless since it doesn't provide form 8915-F. You're forced to pay additional $89 for a tax pro to help you.

No mention of this issue when you buy the software. And customer service sucks. Good luck trying to get a refund.

Original review: July 23, 2022

I had H&R Block file my taxes which cost $600 which was about $200 more than usual because my previous tax person didn't do them on time which cost an additional $1,500 in penalties from the IRS. Afterwards they completing my taxes which if I'm still having the IRS and Colorado saying I still owe them money. My taxes aren't done. H&R basically ghosted me as I received additional tax payment request from Colorado and the IRS. This office didn't response to messages left and just now replied with a generic email after two weeks of trying to reach them through their messenger. I would find someone else to do your taxes 'cause they are horrible.

Original review: June 29, 2022

Switched from TurboTax two years ago. This year decided to pay for the tax pro to make sure everything is correct. The pro who was slow to reply. I thought it was tax season maybe she was busy, but that was ok, filed with no problem. After a few months received a letter from FTB saying that I owe taxes. As far as I remembered I paid them through the portal. The portal has no info on transactions, etc. It just has a banner saying something like "Congratulations, your taxes have been filed!". First time I see a portal where you pay for stuff but cannot see your transactions.

Messaged tax pro and no reply after a few weeks. Called customer support and was told an appointment was set. Turned out it was not set. Called again and set another online appointment. On the day and time of the online appointment I log in for the video chat with the professional who wasn't there. I waited, nobody showed. Called the office myself on the phone, the professional was there and sounded like she had no idea about the appointment. Not able to answer my questions and I was told I just have to pay. Question is - why did I pay all that money for tax pro's "guarantee"? I always filed taxes myself and never had this issue. So much for their claim of 100% accuracy for taxes, especially with the pro.

To add on top of all that you can really feel that all the online services are an afterthought, every time you speak to somebody they sound so shocked when you say you filed online and not at one of their offices. Terrible experience, never going through the antiquated H&R Block again, back to TurboTax.

Original review: May 28, 2022

I filed my taxes and I set up my refund to be direct deposited on to my debit card. They refused to put the refund on my card (GO2Bank) and they returned it. I've talked to the IRS and they've told me that H&R Block has my refund check. I filled out a form to have my refund put on my H&R Block Emerald Card. Then I received an email saying that the funds were disbursed as I instructed. They have not. Every time I call the 888 number for H&R Block, I'm given the run around. My local H&R Block office they are avoiding my calls. I should've received my tax refund 6 weeks ago, but I still don't have it. I've used H&R Block for many years without a problem, about 12 years, but this year, they act like they have no idea what they're doing. They are constantly lying to me, giving me the run around and being of no help at all so that I can get my refund already!!!! This is the LAST time that I use H&R Block!!!!

I agreed to pay an H&R Block professional to double check my taxes to make sure everything was correct. I made a mistake and she didn't catch that mistake. So I've had to wait over 90 days to get my refund and they still took the money from my refund, even though they messed up and caused this huge delay in me getting my refund. JERKS!!!

Original review: May 24, 2022

The people are sweet, however they're not always experts. I filed in person for 2021. The person said I was getting a refund for $2,200 and the fees for filing with H&R was about $300. The IRS said that I filled out a form wrong and made adjustments. The IRS said my refund was $1500-$300=$1200 which I actually got. I thought it would have been cheaper to file with h&r but that's more than the personal accountant/company I've used. I will never do in person option again, nor would I ever recommend them to anyone!

H&R Block Company Information