1.16/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2536 H&R Block Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

On Oct 3, 2018 Sprint deducted $1010.50 from my Emerald Card in error. I immediately contacted Sprint who said they never received the funds from the bank. I was told by the bank I needed to file a Dispute to get my money back. I faxed everything they requested over to the bank the same day Oct 3. It is now Nov 2 and I still don’t have my money back. Every time I call they tell me something different. I was originally told MasterCard approved for them to release the funds back to me and now I’m being told I have to wait until Nov 20. Any other bank in the world would have given me my money back. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever dealt with.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Their software prompted to deduct tax preparation fees and then blocked the efile saying it is no longer allowed. (So why was it prompted for and accepted?) They never filed the taxes online, and sent a bill that it was done. When I relooked I had to print, file online and mail. the staff had no idea what to do with the NYS taxes.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

We did our 2016 taxes at an H & R Block location. The tax adviser spoke to my husband about his career switch from a service member to civilian life, etc. We filed married jointly. Long story short we purchased the Peace of Mind agreement. Looked over our taxes and signed. 2 yrs later we get the letter from the IRS, somehow my husband's W2 income did not get added. After 7 months and 3 trips to the office to do the claim we finally get a notice from H & R Block saying our claim from the Peace of Mind was denied, because we signed the agreement saying only 1 W2 was filed. I tried to explain that that was not the case but because the adviser did not add the $$$, but they had all the forms and paperwork showing that the W4 was there. They refuse to pay the IRS, so now we have to pay. Will never use or recommend H&R BLOCK EVER OR TO ANYONE. Terrible service.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Back in 2015 an H&R rep (Devin from the Evanston, IL branch) helped us to prepare our taxes and made a big mistake that went unnoticed by him or the software. He included my wife's W2 as mine, based on which the tax forms calculated that I had a social security overpayment and was due a refund. This was not correct and, 1.5 years later we received the dreaded letter from the IRS that we needed to pay an additional $X in taxes plus additional late fees and interest.

A very helpful tax preparer (Ann ** from Wilmette, IL branch) at H&R block did help us to figure out what was rightfully owed to the IRS. Based on her assessment we still owed money but less than the $X the IRS felt was owed. She helped us to send the IRS a response letter with modified tax forms indicating the amount she felt was owed plus appropriate late fees and expected interest based on the date of the response and a check. At that time Anne successfully processed a Peace of Mind Claim to refund the interest and fees we paid.

Unfortunately, because we were paying less than the $X that the IRS thought we owed, it took considerable time, and additional back and forth letters, before the IRS accepted the final changes. In that process we accrued an addition $300 in late fees and interest. When we asked for a refund of the $300 under a new Peace of Mind Claim, the claim was denied with no reason for the denial. I asked the tax preparer if there was a stated policy that H&R would only pay penalties and interest one time, but received no response (moreover if this was a known policy then the accountant should have waited until final IRS notice to file the claim).

Overall, it is disgraceful that H&R finds it acceptable for us to have to pay over $300 out of pocket for a mistake that was completely their fault to start. As per a phone call we had at one point directly with the IRS, as I understand it, it is the responsibility of the tax preparer to pay fees and interest for their mistakes and if they do not then that is a reportable offense. In summary, I would NOT recommend people not use H&R Block; prior to 2015 I only used Turbotax and never had issues.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

My father passed in the first few days of January 2018 so I had to file his 2017 tax return. I took it to Block Advisors where I went in and did the taxes with a gal in the Tracy, CA office and she finished the return and stated that we owed almost $12,000.00 to the IRS. I said ok because what else are you gonna say. She added that I owed Block Advisors almost 700.00 in fees to do the taxes, WOW but again, what are you gonna say! I wrote checks to the IRS and two different states and went about my business.

A few months later I received a letter from the state of Idaho stating that I owe them additional taxes. I started to just pay it when I realized that I paid Block Advisors a lot of money to do my dad's taxes so I figured I would take it to them and have them deal with it. When I took in the return to be reviewed I net a new lady by the name of Misty. She took one look and said that this return was all wrong and she could not figure out why and how the return was done the way it was. I then told her that I questioned it from the beginning and even asked the original preparer questions but she insisted it was right. I told her I felt robbed that it cost so much to have a basic tax return done. She asked how much I paid and I showed her the receipt which I believe was 680.00 and she said that was the wrong amount and they overcharged me.

I then asked how much it should have been and she said around 400.00 I asked if I could get that refunded and she told me that she was going to refund the entire amount because the return was so messed up. She said she would send the request over to her District Manager Sarah and it might take 4-6 weeks for the refund. We are now in September and this took place back around June! I sent several emails to Misty asking where my refund was and never got a response. I then called to talk to Sarah and had to leave a message for her and they stated I would have a call back in 48 hours, two days later at 3 PM.

About two hours later I had a call from the Manager in Manteca and I explained my story and she said she could not do anything about it but she would leave a message explaining my situation to Sarah and have her call me. Never heard anyone again. I filed an amendment on my father's taxes to the IRS that Block Advisors redid and the IRS owes me over $11,000.00. That is just how far off my dad's taxes were!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about H&R Block?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

In 2017, I paid just under $800 to get my taxes prepared and at that time, I was told that if a mistake was made, that H&R Block would pay. Well as luck would have it, a mistake was made and I was notified by the IRS who does not care who made the error. All they want is their money. I called H&R Block to remind them of their commitment but I was told that I would be responsible for making the payment. I reluctantly paid. However this year, I went on eBay and bought the H&R Block software for $32 which gives updates on a regular basis.

The software has extensive notes and guides so it is very user friendly. (FYI - I filed an extension since I am a busy person but I intend to file before Sept. 12th). Nonetheless, I called H&R Block once again to verify whether I would have to pay for my taxes to get reviewed. I was told that the REVIEW WOULD BE FREE. Huuummm!!! We'll see. But to save yourself some time and money, try the software next year. It's worth it. All the best...

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I went to H&R Block to have amended taxes done. The person that assisted me was very helpful and kind. Afterwards, I paid the fee with my bank card. I noticed she was having some trouble working the card machine, but it never thought nothing of it. Over a week later, I noticed the payment was posted over a week later. A week after that, another payment was withdrawn from my account for the same amount. I called the office, they informed me that I will have to speak to the person who assisted me. After nearly a week later, after contacting the person and providing documentation, the matter still is not resolved. My next recourse will be legal action -- never again will I use this company.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Hi, I only reason, I filed my tax with H&R Block as they confirmed me with 4400$ return and for that they charged me $400. The amount I received back is $580 less than they confirmed. When I asked them about it, their answer was pathetic. They said, "It is what it is. We can't do anything." When I asked what is wrong, "In calculations," they said, "They might have different formulas than us." They didn't even entertained me properly. This is so pathetic.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I did my taxes with H&R Block after finding out I was behind several years. Private accountant to blame there. I filed taxes, was told I am getting roughly 7k back. After receiving 4 thousands in several payments. My money stopped coming in, even though letters from the CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) stating that they were still sending money, and rebate payments as well. I called H&R and they flat out lied, stating they never received any money, and tried to suggest that CRA made mistakes on the dates they sent the monies, all 9 of the letters they sent me. I got another today, 300, money was confirmed sent July 5, it is not the 16, and what a surprise, no money, call the number on the credit card they give you, and what a surprise again, they denied getting any money sent to them, and told me to take it up with CRA. Which I have been in contact with them, and they confirmed they sent the money.

This company should be shut down, they screw up tax forms, lie to customers, steal money, lie about their credit cards (our cards have no expiration date) until I brought the card into the office and showed them the date. Then they acted as if it was something new, as if no credit card has an expiration date. Not to mention the accountants they hire, hardly know a lick of English, cannot understand what you are saying, and you cannot understand what they are saying, then they fill out the wrong forms, tell you it's your fault THEY screwed up. I dealt with several of their agents and only one, Tami I believe her name was, knew her job and how to do it, had to leave several times to help accountants because, yep, they didn't know how to do accounting. WHY HAS NO ONE DONE SOMETHING ABOUT THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: June 28, 2018

I took help from H&R Block to file the income tax last year and the guys filed the wrong income tax. When I got mail from Incometax.gov then I came to know about this. Then I called H&R Block customer care and asked them to help out with income tax notice. They guys didn't help me out and continuously make me believe that they will help me out. At last, I took CA help to make the things work.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I went to H&R block.com as someone looking to file taxes. April 8th I completed my taxes and got email confirmation. Checked with IRS they didn't have my taxes so I call H&R Block. They never filed my taxes... Apparently I didn't complete the last 3 times of putting in my banking information. REALLY. Anyway had to pay, 150.00 then print my taxes. I could've paid someone cheaper to file them and taken the guesswork out. Never again! Now I'm late. They said no penalty since we get a refund but I have to call the IRS in the morning to see... As unreliable as H&R Block has been I am sure it will be some issue. So infuriating!

Original review: June 20, 2018

I have been using the Emerald Card for both taxes and direct deposit of my paycheck for several years, I stopped using banks due to my account being wiped twice and they wanted me to pay! Well these accounts at H&R Block and Emerald Card have been breached and they knew it and did not warn people so preventative measures could be taken, my account was emptied while I was working. I got the notification on my phone of the use of my card, I live in Ohio and my card was with me however it was used in Las Vegas! I called and got the runaround 3 times, I called the business in Las Vegas and was told my card was duplicated and swiped! I finally after several hours of trying got 3 people that could not talk English hardly at all.

We had a hard time communicating, got hung up on, and now I am being forced to prove I did not leave my job today in Ohio and travel to Nevada and home again by dinner, this will take half a month, then if they are satisfied I will get my money back on a different card they want ME to pay 35$ to activate! I do not think so! Meanwhile I have a 0.00 balance for gas to travel to work, food for kids, household needs and my electric bill! I will never do business with H&R Block or Emerald Card. If you value your money do not use these! The most dishonest and fraudulent company I have dealt with in my life!

Original review: June 16, 2018

I have filed my own taxes with H&R Block for over 20 years with never a problem. This year when I got to the place where I choose how to get my refund, there is a promotion where if I choose to get my refund on an Emerald Cash Card, I can get an extra 100$. So, OK, that sounds great. So, I wait and wait. I call H&R Block, they say wait some more. I call again, they say wait some more.

Now I'm getting nervous because I am in an unsafe situation in my living environment with children and this refund is my way out. So while I am waiting, I go to delete my emails and while flipping through deleting emails I see one titled with Amazon and H&R Block. There were 2 emails that have my "Amazon gift card claim numbers" on them. One disappears into the ether, poof! Now this is indeed news to me since I DID NOT choose to put my refund into Amazon gift cards which you can only use on Amazon. Far as I know, I can't pay my rent with Amazon gift cards.

Now, I am frantic. I call H&R Block. They say basically, too bad, you did it and there was no mistake. I say, there had to have been a mistake, there is NO WAY I would choose this option. We did that back and forth, no help, no empathy, no options, just you are stuck and I swear, I can almost hear the smirking. I ask for the supervisor. I explain my circumstances including that I did not choose gift cards, I chose the Emerald card and a mistake was made. I get back: "We can't help you. You made that choice and you will have to deal with Amazon". So, now I am waiting on Amazon to make a decision if I qualify for the extremely rare occurrence to cash out the gift cards. "Probably not" from the wonderful and supportive man named Kyle who tried very hard to help me.

H&R Block absolutely did not care. Everyone else I talked to trying to resolve this was wonderful, even a representative from TurboTax/Intuit that I was mistakenly referred to spent over an hour trying to find some way to help. This might be a scam, I don't know. If I made this choice in error, then something is wrong with the Website. I am not a stupid person and I absolutely know I never would be putting a tax refund into a gift card. The Amazon rep even said he had never seen this done before. So, whatever you do, DON'T use H&R Block! Customer service clearly means nothing. Of course I will never use them again. If anyone out there has a suggestion on how I might get my refund money, please let me know. My family is not safe where we are, but a shelter is not much better and we would lose our dogs in a very cruel way. I am desperate! Thank you.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I relied on my husband to do taxes. After his death I found H&R in my small town. First visit was ok as it was a typical filing and my agent stamped and mailed my returns setting a precedent. Next year I had bought a house moving money from an IRA which boosted my income status. This same agent called when filing was done and didn't have the guts nor the professionalism to tell me what I really owed. She told me it was 7$ grand in returns. When I got to office it was double that and she acted like it was no BIG deal. PLUS they charged me $400 for the filing as they had to use special forms!!!

I could have gone to a professional accounting firm and paid that. She kept babbling on with her co worker. Total lack of professionalism and personal appearance--WORSE YET she put my returns into the packet not telling me. I thought she had held them to mail. I waited 5 weeks as she assured me they process by 7-days. Instead I ended up paying fees to IRS due to her incompetence. This office is in NM. They did not honor paying my fees.

Original review: June 1, 2018

We have been using H&R Block for years because they were friendly and always seemed to know what they was doing plus the added peace of mind was a really good thing to have or at least we thought it. Last year on our taxes when we filed their employee forgot to add one of the W2 we had and we didn’t realize it. So this year when we filled the lady caught the mistake and told us that the one that did our taxes last year had not added all of our W2 but she assured us it should be no big deal because we had paid for the peace of mind and it would cover that so we went home and got in our folder of taxes from the year before and got the W2 and took it back up to the lady that done our taxes this year and she fixed the other person's mistake and filled a claim with peace of mind.

About a week later I received a phone call saying they wasn’t gonna cover it because I should have checked to make sure it was all entered in there which is crazy. If I pay someone 300 dollars to do taxes and take everything to them I expect them to be a professional and know what they are doing. I shouldn’t have to double check a professional's work especially when it’s something I know nothing about. I am deeply dissatisfied and would never recommend them to anyone. Now I’m left to pay 1800 on top of the 300 I paid them to file the taxes. The peace of mind is a joke. Even their employee that fixed the mistake said she could not believe they would not fix the problem and stand behind their work. I hope in the future this can prevent someone from getting robbed like I did.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Very bad experience. Filed my income tax return for 2017 in April of 2018, using the e-file system on hrblock.com. Paid extra for a tax professional to review it before finalization. Set it up for electronic withdrawal directly from my checking account. Everything was done by April 16th. Then I sat back and waited and waited and waited. No withdrawals. Finally, getting nervous, I called them a week after to make sure everything was fine, I was informed that their 'system was down' and therefore they could not pull up my file to make sure. Then I went back to waiting and waiting and waiting.

Finally, even more nervous, I called H&R Block today to find out if everything was fine. The lady pulled everything up and said it all looks 'good' on their end, they had my routing and checking no. inputted into the e-file, but they had forgotten to checkbox the 'Yes' box for withdrawal. Ok... Then I was told to call the IRS to verify if things were kosher on their end. So I did. I was shocked to discover that they had no routing or checking no. on the file that was sent to them by H&R Block, electronic withdrawal wasn't even designated on the file itself! So I had been waiting for a month and a half for a withdrawal from my checking account that was never going to come in the first friggin' place!

I had to spent over two hours altogether on hold and talking with my bank, the IRS and the state tax agency, just to get everything sorted out and paid by today. I was charged with late interest fees from the IRS and state tax agency on top of the balance due, since it was way past the filing date. Insult to injury. Terrific. Avoid if you can and/or use another agency.

Original review: May 23, 2018

My daughter. They have done her taxes for the last two years wrong. Why pay for someone to get it so wrong. O well not their problem. I am the one recommended them. NOT HAPPY VERY. UPSET NOW. Now she has to pay a lot of money for their ** that she does not have. They were not cheap to get them done anyway.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Doing my taxes this year in Houston Texas for the first time since moving, I chose H & R Block. The biggest mistake of my life! The tax preparer had my refunded mailed in a check form instead of deposited in my bank account after giving her the information. Not only that, instead of putting my home address she puts my job address. Meanwhile, my job is in a shopping area called River Oaks and she did not put a suite number! How wonderful! She then told me to contact Emerald Card customer rep to change the address before it was mailed out May 2nd.

I get through to someone in customer service where I changed the address so the check is mailed to me. That night I receive an email from H & R Block stating my check was mailed and will be received in 7 days. I called that morning since the email was sent during the night and asked what address was on file and were they sure it was sent there instead of my job address. They explained they cannot see where it was sent out to but it should be the address on file. I asked can I have the check voided and just put into my account, they explained they could not and I had to wait until May 16 for the check to come to the address on file. (Which is suppose to be my home address) I spoke to the shopping center customer service to see what happens when mail has no suite and he explained they will just send it back.

Today, I get an email stating my check was sent back to H & R Block, how wonderful. Just like I thought. I call the number on the email and was very disappointed. I called back three times to speak to 3 different customer rep and 2 different supervisors. I still receive no information and do not even want to go through with my taxes anymore. They explained that I will have to fill out a form that will then take 3-5 business days to progress. I will then have to pick an option to receive my check and wait it out. Meanwhile it took 12 days to receive it. The worst part is they explained I could only get the form in person at two locations which is an hour away from my house. I have no car due to hurricane Harvey and do not know when I will be able to get the form. I was kind of depending on the money to get a new car. My daughter's birthday is in two weeks which is also not cool.

Dealing with the customer reps I have to say was the worst part. They felt no remorse of the situation and did not want to help. They never even apologize for a mistake that was made on their end and had an attitude the entire time including the supervisor. She even hung up on me! They repeated the same thing over and over again and had no information to give me. I was better off speaking to an automatic messager! I will never in my life file my taxes with this company or even get an Emerald Card. I deal with customers every day at work as a supervisor and will never treat anyone the way I was treated on the phone today. It’s disgusting that people do not do their job correctly and you are the one to pay! Next year, I will do it myself on Turbo Tax!

Original review: May 15, 2018

These "seasoned tax professionals" made an amateur's mistake and right at the 3 week mark waiting for my refund - I get a letter from those rogue pukes (IRS) stating a wrong form was used and therefore my refund will take 2 extra months. Two months (actually 3 months) have come and gone. I was unemployed and BROKE at the 3 week mark and wanted revenge on these inept morons, which I will do by trashing them on EVERY consumer complaint company I can find. I'm checking to see if I can take these bozos to small claims court.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I should have read the reviews before choosing H&R Block for filing taxes online. We have experienced one mistake after another and poor communication. I am still going in circles trying to get some significant mistakes corrected, yet they have already charged my debit card. My husband and I filed our taxes jointly, and he was listed as primary tax holder. That said, when I created the account with H&R Block I had my name, phone number, and email listed as primary contact because I have been handling all our tax documents.

When questions came up, the tax preparer consistently contacted my husband and not me, and he did not have all the tax information readily available and had to tell them to reach out to me, which they did... eventually. Additionally, when I initially submitted documents and first began the online process, there was nowhere on the website to input our child's SSN and a couple of other important data elements, resulting in yet more phone tag.

The most egregious mistake, however, is that I accidentally uploaded a 2016 W2 instead of a 2017 W2, and the preparer did NOT notice or catch the error. Instead, she completed the return with the wrong form. Any preparer who is paying attention should have immediately noticed that the form was for the wrong year, and she should have asked if we really meant to submit that document.

She totally missed it, and I did not have any knowledge of the (now compounded) mistake until I went online to approve/reject the return and found that the income was wrong by a significant amount. Another representative looked at my rejection comments and quickly identified the problem, but again, I did not receive a notification that she had responded because - despite my being told they had corrected the contact information - they emailed my husband instead of me, and it went to his spam folder, and I didn't think to look there. In short, it's mid-May and we are STILL trying to get all the errors corrected so that we can submit our return. I also feel strongly that we should not have been charged the full amount of $389 to prepare the return. This experience has been a disaster.

Original review: May 2, 2018

On March 7th I had noticed some unauthorized charges on my emerald card and immediately I contacted the bank and was told that my account would be closed till further investigation and that I could go the H&R Block office to retrieve my new card, as I did to wake only wake up the next morning and discovered that 7 more transactions that wasn’t authorized by me had went through. I was told that it would only take up to 10 to 20 days till my account would be replenished, well I called every day after the first 10 days had passed to be told by at least 10 different supervisors that my account would be replenished within 3 day, what a lie and joke.

This is the first time I have ever dealt with fraud, and I’m so disgusted by it all. I don’t know who's worse the fraud people or my bank. This is wrong and hope someone will be held responsible for misleading someone. But there is no hope for the little people. I have been doing my taxes with H&R Block for 11 years but not anymore. I’m done just from this experience alone. They can’t even contact me no matter how many times I call.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I had my taxes done in 2016 and 2017. In 2016 they put in an incorrect number for my salary and I had to return 4 times for them to make changes and to get it right. They charged 152.00. In 2017 I returned and this time it was a mess! I felt ganged up on, where more than 1 tax preparer was talking to me and they told me that it would cost 182.00 because I earned more money. I am on SS and a tiny pension and nothing changed from one year to another. Then she gave me the envelope, told me to mail it and now I will wait 6 wks. to get my refund, because she was too lazy to fill in for an electronic deposit which would take 3 wks. I felt bamboozled and when I left there I wondered how the heck they could have talked me into putting one return on their H&R Block credit card, which caused me problems and to get the other return by mail??? I felt like I'd been had and will NEVER go back to that company again.

Original review: April 30, 2018

Where to begin... My very first time with this company and they screwed up by doubling my HSA savings, had to come in the next day to get it fixed, then doubled something else, I gave them my DL so they could spell my name properly and they still spelled it wrong. They spelled it the Spanish version of Nicolas so now on forms I have to put this one instead of the correct spelling of my name. It was a complete nightmare.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Right from the beginning when I entered their office I felt it wasn't very professional. I explained to the agent that I have been approved to claim over the counter eye drops and gel for my disability. Every year I do a detailed spreadsheet with my medical claims and attach receipts. I have been doing this for over 10 years and the government has approved this. My first surprise was when I asked how much I would be charged and couldn't believe they were charging me almost $200, (this was after they had done the taxes). The next clue was after I had a call to make an appointment to pick up my taxes. So I made an appointment and then had another call to make an appointment. Had to cancel and made another one, again I had another 2 calls for me to make an appointment. So nobody seemed to know what anyone else was doing. But the worst was when we were going over the paperwork I notice they hadn't taken disability medical expenses.

Tried to explain it again but the agent was adamant that I couldn't claim over the counter expenses and also that the government wouldn't accept just the spreadsheet. So I picked up the envelope that I had given them to do my taxes and showed them the receipts I had admitted with the spreadsheet. Then I started to get mad because of the stupidity shown, so the agent called her supervisor who didn't once look at me, just told the agent to copy my receipts but not once told me what they were doing. I told them to pack up my information, because I didn't trust them to do my taxes. I had to sort out my receipts again because it was such a mess. That day I took it to a recommended tax accountant and he did it while I was there and only charged me $85. So with the correct figures I saved over $200. I am still mad because there are people who go to H&R Block that don't realize they are being scammed. How can the government allow this? Thanks.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I've used the disc format of their software for the past 5 years, but decided to try it online this year. I don’t recommend it. It was unclear whether or not I needed more than Basic until I started filling in 1099-B information. All of a sudden, I get a notice telling me if I want to continue I need to purchase Deluxe, with a button to agree or decline, and no information about how much extra it will cost. At that point, fearful of losing data I had entered, I agreed. Only later that day did I find out my cost went from zero to $43. That’s sneaky, and from now on I am sticking with discs for my purchase. I prefer to know what I am getting before paying for it.

Then when I finished, the software refused to submit my 1040 online, saying that I didn't have my AGI correct. I know it was correct, because I had ordered the IRS transcript of my previous two years taxes and had it on the same screen on my computer. I complained to their customer service, but all I got was the reply that I had to print it and mail it in. So the online version failed in two ways -saving money and reducing post office distress.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I went in for assistance because I wanted to get a good return and was having trouble with doing it at home with TurboTax with the new ride sharing tax codes. I went in with all my information including a print out of what I did on TurboTax so far. I was not told any prices. I was told I would get a better return with them. I would not have accepted their assistance if I had known they would take over 2/3rds of my tax return $440. I filed a complaint on 4/11/18 and was given the case number #** and told I would be contacted in 3-5 business days. It is now 4/24/18 and I have yet to be contacted by e-mail or phone despite calling the district office manager Marque ** and leaving a message with him directly on 4/23/18.

Original review: April 18, 2018

So I went to H&R Block today and it was ok... the only cons I have are that for 1 they didn't give me the option to pay for the H&R Block fees with my refund. It was 145$... and one other con... they didn't give me the option for my refund to be direct deposited into my account. I looked to see if they did and there were x's where the account number and routing number should have been. Ok so the pros... they were very nice... tried to help me. As I said the H&R Block fee was 145$ and I was freaking out inside and they just had me pay 40$. I hope that I get a check for my refund... if anyone knows please email me at **.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Let me start off by saying my husband has used this company every tax season for 10 years, we have been loyal customers. I know tax season is stressful and no one likes it, but every single person I spoke with at H&R Block today (whether calling a specific office or dealing with the 1-800 number) were not helpful and rude. We are very disappointed in how they handle their customers and our important, time sensitive information. We will not use H&R Block again.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I made an appointment with H&R Block... The papers I had were W-2 and 2 1099 MISC. As she was done inputting all the numbers my total came out to be 5$ refund. I knew it was going to be low. Here's comes the check for paying H&R Block. $381!!! Are you kidding me? I seen on her computer that last year's payment to file was 106$... Please someone enlighten me on how I had to pay $381 with my refund being 5$ and it only took 30 minutes? Are you kidding me right now?!?Yeah I’ll give you a piece of my mind!

Original review: April 15, 2018

I was completing my online return with H&R Block when their system crashed and I lost all the information I had inputted. They offered to refund the fees, which they did. But, they refuse to refund the associated sales-tax. This makes no sense!

H&R Block expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

H&R Block has prepared and filed more than 600 million tax returns since 1955 and although the online version is a more modern incarnation of this service, taxpayers can have peace of mind knowing that they are working with one of the most experienced tax service providers in the nation. In 2012, the company processed more than 25.6 million tax returns including 20 percent of the returns filed by low-income taxpayers that claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit.

• Variety: H&R Block offers several different packages that meet the needs of a wide variety of taxpayers - from a basic free file to a more complex return for a sole proprietor. H&R Block At Home customers can also grant access to a local H&R Block professional, which allows for more personalized support and assistance.

• Audit support: All packages, including the Free File option, come with free audit support and representation from an enrolled agent.

• Multiple refund options: Multiple refund options are available including direct deposit, refund anticipation checks and a prepaid MasterCard.

• Upsells: H&R Block uses refund anticipation checks. Refund anticipation checks come with higher fees and there are only certain instances in which this option is used.

• Basic package: The basic package is priced at $34.95.

• Best for: Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals, Sole Proprietors, Taxpayers with

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

H&R Block Company Information