3.2/5 (398 ratings)

File your taxes for 35% off. Use code SLAYIT35

Get Started with TaxSlayer

Visit Site

About H&R Block

H&R Block is a tax preparation business that offers professional tax services as well as self-service options. If you opt for professional services, H&R Block’s tax experts file your tax returns to get you the best possible refund. H&R Block offers its services both in stores and online, and the company offers free online filing software.

Pros

• Options for every budget
  • 24/7 support by phone, email & chat
  • Work with a tax professional

Cons

• Can cost more than filing yourself

Bottom Line

H&R Block offers professional tax filing services and free tax software. With programs for every budget and 24/7 customer service, H&R Block is great for consumers who need tax help.

File your taxes for 35% off. Use code SLAYIT35

Get Started with TaxSlayer

Visit Site

What is H&R Block?

H&R Block is a tax preparation business that helps people who want to file on their own or hire tax professionals. Customers who decide to use H&R Block’s professional filing services choose between three different service options:

• Meeting with a tax expert one-on-one at your local H&R Block office
  • Dropping off your documents at one of H&R Block’s locations
  • Uploading your documents to H&R Block’s website

With document uploading, you don’t need to visit a physical location to work with an H&R Block tax professional. If a customer chooses to use the H&R Block tax filing system to file their own taxes, they can file on the company's website or use its tax software.

Online filing has multiple service options with or without assistance, including:

• Free
  • Deluxe
  • Premium
  • Self-employed

H&R Block’s tax software has four program options:

• Basic
  • Deluxe + State
  • Premium
  • Premium & Business

H&R Block prices

H&R Block has a variety of options to meet every budget. Fees for working with tax experts using the document upload option start at $49, while the drop-off and in-office services start at $69. Additional fees may apply, including a $44.99 fee for filing state taxes.

Tax software from H&R Block ranges from $29.95 to $89.95 for federal filing, with possible additional state fees.

H&R Block FAQ

How much does it cost to file my taxes with H&R Block?
Depending on the level of help you need, H&R Block doesn’t have to cost anything. However, if you want premium filing options or hands-on help, expect to pay between $29.95 and $104.99.
Is H&R Block good?
H&R Block is one of the best-known names in tax preparation, and it has a long-standing reputation in the tax world. Its prices are reasonable, and its services are suitable for a variety of tax situations.
Can I just walk into H&R Block?
H&R Block does accept walk-ins, but it recommends that you make an appointment before meeting an H&R Block tax expert.
Do you have to pay H&R Block upfront?
No, you don't have to pay H&R Block upfront. It allows you to pay its fees from your tax refund.
What does H&R Block charge for rapid refunds?
H&R Block offers a 0% APR loan as a refund advance to qualifying customers. This advance comes with no finance charges or loan fees. After you file your taxes, your refund should repay your loan.

Is H&R Block good?

H&R Block offers nationwide tax services for people in every tax situation. The company is an ideal choice for consumers searching for free tax filing software or people who want to work with a certified tax professional to get the best possible refund. If you’re searching for tax services, H&R Block is a strong candidate.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about H&R Block?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about H&R Block?

Original review: May 28, 2022

I filed my taxes and I set up my refund to be direct deposited on to my debit card. They refused to put the refund on my card (GO2Bank) and they returned it. I've talked to the IRS and they've told me that H&R Block has my refund check. I filled out a form to have my refund put on my H&R Block Emerald Card. Then I received an email saying that the funds were disbursed as I instructed. They have not. Every time I call the 888 number for H&R Block, I'm given the run around. My local H&R Block office they are avoiding my calls. I should've received my tax refund 6 weeks ago, but I still don't have it. I've used H&R Block for many years without a problem, about 12 years, but this year, they act like they have no idea what they're doing. They are constantly lying to me, giving me the run around and being of no help at all so that I can get my refund already!!!! This is the LAST time that I use H&R Block!!!!

I agreed to pay an H&R Block professional to double check my taxes to make sure everything was correct. I made a mistake and she didn't catch that mistake. So I've had to wait over 90 days to get my refund and they still took the money from my refund, even though they messed up and caused this huge delay in me getting my refund. JERKS!!!

Original review: May 24, 2022

The people are sweet, however they're not always experts. I filed in person for 2021. The person said I was getting a refund for $2,200 and the fees for filing with H&R was about $300. The IRS said that I filled out a form wrong and made adjustments. The IRS said my refund was $1500-$300=$1200 which I actually got. I thought it would have been cheaper to file with h&r but that's more than the personal accountant/company I've used. I will never do in person option again, nor would I ever recommend them to anyone!

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 30, 2022

H&R Block online has chosen not to include Form 348 in their standard available forms (it has been around for 10 years). I received a pop-up saying that to add the form I needed to have the taxes sent in for a tax review, an additional $60. Begrudgingly, I agreed to have the forms sent for tax review, I notified the reviewer that I needed the form added. The reviewer took two weeks to get to the taxes and neglected to add the form issuing them back in ready for submittal. I will never use H&R Block again and would recommend others to proceed with caution.

Original review: April 21, 2022

I was charged all sorts of fees for them to file my returns incorrectly. I hired an accountant to review their work and finish the remaining returns. The accountant told me that not only did they incorrectly file my state returns, but we will have to amend my federal return. When I called for a refund, they told me that this was my issue.

Original review: April 21, 2022

I've used H&R Block for decades. My email contact has never changed, and they have my correct phone number in their system. So why, when I hand delivered all of my documents to an HR Block tax rep on March 3rd, have they failed to file my federal and state taxes on time???? I called a day before the federal filing date to check the status, they said they were working on it and would call me soon. No call, deadline passed. So I drove 20 miles to the same office to inquire. Very poor response from the office manager, saying they still had a day to file the state tax on time, and that they had given my file to a different tax rep, but that she was at her doctor's at that moment because she has a serious illness.

How heartless, to give a sick employee more work!? (Why couldn't the original rep finish it? I'm retired, my taxes are not that complicated.) So today, when they also missed my state filing deadline, and still had not called me back, I finally called the main customer service number. More excuses and still no follow up. This year they failed miserably!

Original review: April 15, 2022

I filed my 2021 tax return online with H&R Block this year. I needed a form for the covid disaster and I was instructed by the H&R Block program to allow their account to complete the form for me. I submitted my tax return to their account and my tax return was returned completed and signed off by their accountant with a large refund and no form. When I asked the accountant about the form I was told she "didn't know I needed the form". I find this unacceptable especially when the program prompted me to answer questions resulting in the need for the form. I resubmitted my tax return to the account and it was returned with the necessary form AND a large IOU to the IRS! The difference between the two tax returns I received was almost $4000.00! I will not be using H&R Block again! Also felt the cost for filing could have been more competitive.

Original review: April 14, 2022

Major glitches in the software and the inability to file my state. Incorrect information was also imported from the previous years. Their customer support is non existent and unconscionably bad. It has been over 8 hours over the past few day and counting and still no help. I am put on hold for over an hour and then the call drops. When I reach someone they give me a case number and promise that an escalation team will call. They don't. I 've been waiting 4 days. When I do get through to an escalation team myself after hours of waiting they put me on hold and then drop the call. I cannot file my taxes. I am going to have to get Turbo Tax and start from scratch. Never again. Their customer support is non existent and unconscionably bad.

Original review: April 11, 2022

This service asks automated questions, many lead to more and scramble the answers to create a mysterious return. You are rarely able to see what they’ve done or why. I was forced to buy a CPA review which enabled me to interact with a person who did explain, recalculate/fix automatic results, but I still needed to suggest more reasons to reduce taxes which worked.

Then when it looked done, I had no access to my complete tax filings for my records. I had copied pages when working with the CPA but those were prior to final. I suppose they make you chained to them forever now? Preposterous! They don’t explain, if taxes are due when you file, how that payment is to be made if you haven’t bought into their credit card system. I was appalled I didn’t send in money when they filed.. but my CPA told me what to do since she was still available to me. You go directly to the IRS site and pay.

None of this information is available to, you! Stay away.. there are far far better sites. ..and if you do find yourself there, get the CPA service.. just for a person to help you. This is important stuff and between the IRS and your money.. do it right. Just don’t do it with H R Block.

Original review: April 8, 2022

Have used the online deluxe version for years and has been wrong several years in a row but eventually goes through usually costing us more than they project as it doesn't catch much. For the 2021 taxes, we filed and then received a rejection. Contacted them and they have no information but are welcome to print and mail to IRS. No refunds and then they ended the chat when we asked another question. Disputed the charge and refiling using another online product. Never again and should have known better.

Original review: April 8, 2022

Unless you have a very simple return, This tax preparation software continuously wants you to upgrade or "chat" with someone.... at an increased price. The "free" version is only worthwhile if you have a W2 and nothing else! If you have children, don't even bother. This was a total waste of time.

H&R Block Company Information