1.57/5
  • 1 star
Based on 39 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a mortgage lender?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 7, 2017

974 CitiMortgage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Horrible experience when our note came due. Was treated like a child from incompetent rude people. Made me jump thru hoops to gather tons of info just to be jerks and unsympathetic to my situation. We were always on time for payments. My husband lost his job and I became a caregiver for my parents. They rudely told me to get out and get a job and do a short sale on my home. All we wanted was a temporary reduction in our 2715.00 monthly payment to get on our feet. Made us feel like we were idiots! They have no compassion for anyone and didn’t even try to help in any way. The most horrible act that committed was all the time and calls they made me go thru before totally rejecting any help for us.

I am going to the media with this in hopes that horrible staff you have will not put anyone else thru this horrible experience. You should be ashamed of your actions. I will get the word out on how horribly your line of credit department treated us. You never bothered to apologize or return a call. Terribly unprofessional!!! Disappointment to the human race!!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I was only a total of $180 behind and had been making my regular payments with additional to catch up what I was behind. It was when Citi electronically cashed a check for more that it was written for. My bank reversed the charges and only credited them for the amount of the check that I provided from my duplicate carbon copy. After that Citi refused any additional payments and started me in the foreclosure process. I had tried several times to have a modification loan and it was delayed saying that more paperwork was needed or that they didnt receive paperwork sent.

Even after I was told the loan was accepted Citi continued with the foreclosure process. I came home from work one day less than a month after making my first payment on the remodification loan to find a eviction notice on my door and that my home had been sold at auction. I lost everything and as a single mother had to struggle and move into unsafe neighborhoods to take care of my child. CitiMortgage is a fraudulent corporation that preys on hard working people.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

In 2013, because of serious health problems, I was advised by my Dr. not to drive or work. At age 67 I applied for Social Security and applied to CitiMortgage for a loan modification to reduce my payments. That was over 4 years ago. 5 times after I submitted all the paperwork they asked for, I was ask to resubmit many of the documents by 5 different so called loan specialist. I never did get a loan modification and during the last year I was reported to the various credit companies that I have been 30 days late on my loan. This has caused me not to be able to obtain a refinance with any company because of low credit scores now.

I called CITI about being reported late 5 times and was told by the loan specialist I spoke to that I had once again been assigned to a new loan specialist and that she would send a note to my new Specialist asking for her to call me. That was 3 months and I have not heard a word from CITI. I was also told that she could not tell me what credit companies CITI had reported me to and that it was my responsibility to send for credit reports and let CITI know who they had reported me to. I thought the Loan Specialist was there to help me. Even though I was reported as being 30 days late, I was never charged a late fee. That shows me their reporting me as 30 days late was a mistake, but a mistake they refuse to correct so I can obtain a refinance from another company.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Mortgage sold out to Mr. Cooper? They simply sold/transferred my mortgage to another mortgage company. We have no say. What is the rating or quality of that mortgage company. That is how we get a mortgage crisis and lose our hard earned equity.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I tried 3 times over 2 years to get my loan modified and every time they denied me for something different. I have an Android phone and looked for an app to make it easier. There was one that was free called Loan Mod Guru or Jeanie, can't remember which, but it gave the formula the banks use to qualify homeowners. I didn't even know there was a formula.

Once I understood the formula, I re-applied and got approved. Don't spend thousands on some law firm that will probably turn out to be a fraud. I really didn't thinks a free app could be so valuable, but it turned out to be better than hiring some company over the phone. If you're thinking about getting a home loan with Citi, don't, and don't hire a law firm, just read up on what the lender is looking for before you apply.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CitiMortgage?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I used CitiMortgage twice in the past 15 years. They were easy to work with. Their website is good. I never had a problem with automatic withdrawals. Rates seemed to be competitive. I lived in Arizona at the time.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

The most important thing is the time it takes to complete the loan process and what is necessary to do so. The application at CitiMortgage was quick and easy with associates being able to provide me with the guidance I needed along the way.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Offered a home modification options under HARP. Denied it after two month then tell me I did not qualify. Why tell me that and then resend it. Took it upon themself to send me out a modification that had me paying more than I was originally. I never signed papers. If I apply for modification that mean I needed help paying the original payment so why would I want to pay more. Sold to another company and have them thinking the same. I haven't been able to get it straight. Tell you they have specialist to work with you who ask you for the same information within days apart. Took it upon themself to pay my Property taxes and Insurance. I have always paid those separate outside of my mortgage. Mortgage pay is currently around 1900.00 according to them.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

It was slow throughout the loan process. Loan officer overwhelmed with too many files, does not respond, outsource to coordinator. Overall, poor experience with CitiMortgage.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

We refinanced with CITI twice. The whole process was fast, easy and all done via computer except when we had to sign. Representatives were very informative and patient. Always kept us informed as to where we were in the process and the timeline for the rest.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I have been waiting over three months to receive a check for flood damage to my home in San Diego that was issued by my insurance company and had nothing to do with them. They consistently did not have their ** together and were very disrespectful and constantly talked over me. Very dissatisfied with the experience.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I have a HELOC with them and have been a paying customer for the past 10 years on time. I called the mortgage dept to inquire about a settlement and loan modification because the company I was working for closed their doors. They asked me to send some documents and I did. Then all hell breaks loose! They have assigned me to at least 8 different people. They will never return your calls like they claim. My blood pressure went so high and no matter who you talk to, it's the same answer which "I will call you back!" They ran my credit so many times that my score went from 860 to 710. We NEED TO FILE A SUIT against these people. Worst Bank in the world!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

I have had my home mortgage with Citi Mortgage for years with no issues. I just found out with only 10 days notice that they have sold my loan to Nationstar Mtg. in Dallas TX (who is changing its name to Mr. Cooper LLC) because of all of the complaints against them. I called Citi Mortgage to complain and they said it's their right and nothing can be done. Citi Mortgage is selling loans to a company with thousands of complaints of fraud and mis-handling of customer payments. I did my research and Nationstar has a 98% disapproval rating and has ruined the credit of thousands of consumers. They do not disburse escrow payments and your home insurance drops you for non payment, people have tax liens against their homes because Nationstar does not pay your property taxes even though you pay them.

I am furious for myself and other people who are going through this. I actually called Quicken Loans and had to pay $2000.00 to get a new mortgage to avoid dealing with Nationstar. THIS is the fault of Citi Mortgage dumping the low interest loans to a debt collection company. Even if you have perfect credit and not 1 late payment this is what will happen to you in the next few months. They are getting out of the mortgage business and are selling loans to any unscrupulous company who will buy them and then will destroy your credit. Even if you apply for and get approved for a new loan they will still sell it in the next year. RUN - DO NOT WALK FROM THESE HEARTLESS GREEDY MONSTERS.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I am so frustrated with CitiMortgage. I have spent probably 12 hours talking to various supervisors at Customer Service. They constantly talk over me and treat me like I'm nothing. It's my final payment on my house. I have been with them and have a perfect track record. I was told from an individual that my payment was due end of May. I told him, "Are you sure?" and I said, "This is great because I've been in the hospital for 7 months." Why they close my automatic payment is beyond me. Why they need a check for the final payment is. I have contacted them and sat on the phone and been told and argued with over that last payment date. I talked to an individual like I said that was telling me "end of May." They refuse to go back and listen to that phone call. They tell me there's nothing they can do. They taxed a 60-day late on my credit bureau.

I am trying to purchase another house and a perfect track record ends with a 60-day late on my final payment of the house. Now do you think I would miss the last payment of my house? They sent foreclosure papers, 20 at a time, foreclosure on my final payment? You got to be out of your mind. I was in the hospital 8 months out of the last year and I have 60 for medical bills that need to be paid and bunch of paperwork, and I'm trying to pack up my house of 26 years so I can move on because I'm severely disabled. No excuses. I just want them to know the truth. They will not listen to me at all... I could just scream! Explanation point, explanation point. Good luck to anyone who tries to use this company because they suck.

Original review: June 24, 2017

Do not get HELOC [home equity line of credit]. We were on autopay, and after them withdrawing the last payment of almost 10 grand, little did we know that we still owed some 300 bucks in fees. It took a couple of months for us to realize it, but paid asap. Now it has been about 6 months, and we thought that we were all good, and we have not received any bills from Citibank, but upon checking our credit history, Citibank has reported us as more than 6 months delinquent. While they show our balance as zero, but this is lowering our credit score. Maybe we can sue them for the damages.

Original review: June 5, 2017

After my husband and I refinanced our mortgage from 30 to 15 years, our mortgage was sold to CitiMortgage. We paid our mortgage monthly-- plus a little additional on the principal-- without fail, for 15 years. Our last payment was due on 6/1/17 and we sat down together to pay it online only to find that CitiMortgage would not let us do that. We called customer service where we were told we had to pay an additional fee for our mortgage payoff. We agreed to pay that fee (not happily) and were told payment could not be accepted over the phone, that we had to mail a check. We were forced to mail the check FedEx to make our 6/1 deadline. Fedex notified us the check was delivered on 6/1.

On 5/31 we received a letter from CitiBank that our mortgage had been "purchased, assigned, or transferred" to CitiMortgage... the exact same address we had been paying to for 15 years, yet, technically, all we owed was our last payment and that check was in the mail. I have logged onto our mortgage account with CitiMortgage and the balance reads "0" even though our checkbook balance does not reflect the processing of our check. CitiMortgage's treatment of its clients is rude, confusing, and demoralizing. We would not recommend doing business with this company and wait anxiously for our check's cancellation.

Original review: May 27, 2017

I wanted to give it "Zero" stars, but I had to select 1-5, so that's the only reason for one star. Home flooded in August 2016 in South Louisiana. CitiMortgage gladly took my insurance check. Went through hell to have our home repaired dealing with crooked contractor. We had a 100% completion inspection on 4/13. It was usually an ordeal to get a draw from CitiMorgage. For final draw we had to jump through their hoops and have forms notarized at our expense. They received all forms on 5/11. No check arrived. I called on 5/26 and was told that they sold my account and the new mortgage company would take over 6/7. This still gave them time to send me my own money. But, CitiMortgage said they wouldn't and I would have to take it up with the new mortgage company.

CitiMortgage holds your own insurance money hostage. This is insurance you pay for, but CitiMortgage does not care. They hold your money hostage and make earnings off of it. Then they make you jump through hoops and waste your own money notarizing their forms. All delay tactics so they can hold your money hostage for longer so they can earn more money off of it. Then they sell it to another company and use that as another delay for you not getting your own money while they hang onto to it for a little longer so they can squeeze out more earnings from it.

Needless to say, I still do not have my money. The new mortgage company does not have my money or all of my account information or any of my claim documentation from CitiMortgage. So the new mortgage company cannot get me my money because CitiMortgage still has it. So, CitiMortgage has all the notarized forms they required I provide and they have my insurance money, yet they refuse to send it to me. CitiMortgage is as crooked as they come.

Original review: May 26, 2017

CitiMortgage took over my original mortgage. Not only did CitiMortgage "fail" to have me sign new papers with them, they secretly changed my initial mortgage plan agreement. For example with my original mortgage company I could pay my mortgage payment online and not be charged for online processing. Additionally I had up to midnight of the 15th of each month to pay my mortgage - nonlate penalties. CitiMortgage denied all of that.

Also when I told CitiMortgage that I am a disabled veteran and can no longer live in my home CitiMortgage said for me to lease my home to a renter. I said, "That's against my mortgage loan." They said, "So, you're not living in it." I then explained to them that I'm not stooping to their underhanded character by secretly renting which is going against my mortgage loan. Then I asked CitiMortgage for the HARP. They denied me. Then I found out that CitiMortgage filed a Foreclosure against my credit "without" me knowing anything period. Stay away from CitiMortgage because they're practicing ILLEGAL & UNETHICAL mortgage loan practices.

CitiMortgage never was willing to help nor work with disabled veterans. Their information to their mortgage customers never remained consistent and truthful. It's not until the customer is totally done that CitiMortgage tries to work with the customer. But by then it's too late because the customer has moved out of the mortgaged property. My house was upside down and CitiMortgage refused to work with me. I never ever will do any form of business with CitiMortgage ever again.

Original review: May 13, 2017

I had been an excellent customer for CitiMortgage. I never missed a payment. I decided that since they knew I was a great customer I would use them to refinance for a lower interest rate (thinking it would be an easy process). I called and was preapproved easily and was told the process would be easy and relatively fast. I began the process of gathering the paperwork needed. I gathered all that was required... or so I thought. Then they asked for more. And more! And months later more. They even asked for information that was impossible to obtain! (And they were well aware of the impossibility.)

I began to think I needed to start this process with a different company as Citi seemed to be making this as hard as they could. I looked on the internet at reviews and found a company that had the greatest satisfaction. To make a very long story short, I was able to easily get the loan approved. I signed the papers within half the time I had been working with Citi and now have my loan with the highly rated company. I had told Citi when I started with the "new" company, that I would go to another loan company if they didn't quit playing games with me.

Meanwhile Citi Mortgage was still insisting I give them information that was impossible to get so they could approve my loan... You need to know that I have a net worth of way more than what is needed for a loan of the amount I was requesting. I could have just paid off the original loan but didn't choose to because it is business property.

I kept trying to work with Citi as I completed the loan process with a "new" loan company because I really wanted to know if they would ever refinance me. I didn't hear anything positive from them. They just kept asking for more information. The very day that Citi Mortgage was paid off by my new company I got emails asking for more information. I wrote them a long email explaining that I had obtained a refinance in half the time and with half the paperwork needed from me. About a week later they emailed me that I had been approved for the refi. REALLY!! My experience with CitiMortgage was horrible, very stressful, and I would NEVER use them or recommend them to anyone. They treat a good customer as if they are not worth the time.

Original review: May 7, 2017

I have been trying to get a mortgage modification for two years. CitiMortgage cancelled the application 4 times supposedly because I did not file or deliver documents on time, I have no sufficient income etc. I have proof of all sent documents, conversations and dates. I could not make any more payments beginning this year. Now CitiMortgage is calling me to pay the bill but at the same time they did not know that I am under a mortgage modification application. I communicate that to the person that called, gave her the contact person in charge of my case and told me she would be the only contact and that she would call back in the next days. Outrageous.

Original review: April 24, 2017

We refinanced our home with Quicken Loans. There was a misunderstanding when it came to paying off Citi. Ended up that Quicken sent them the payoff, while I also sent them the payoff. When contacting Citi about this mistake, their records showed they received my payoff but not Quicken's. Several days later they said they had not received my payment or Quicken's (but showed a zero balance). Quicken finally found that Citi had received their payoff but not mine. After several calls, they found my payoff, but would not be able to refund the payoff until the 20th (approximately 30 days later). It's now the 24th, and I'm still waiting for the refund. I'm guessing if the tables were turned, they would not be as understanding I'm being forced to be.

Original review: April 18, 2017

If you are considering a CitiMortgage, think again. I did a loan modification with them; they lost all my documents 3 times, and I had to submit a fourth time. It took over 7 years for them to finalize the loan modification and they only lowered my mortgage by $100.00 despite my being eligible for a HARP program. Furthermore, after I received my loan modification, I realized that my principal was increased over $100,000.???

I am presently trying to obtain my 1098 form for tax purposes; the tax deadline is tomorrow. I called last week to request it be sent via email. I looked in my Inbox and in Spam and nothing arrived, so I called today. I have been transferred 3 times and have been holding over 15-20 minutes between each time. I was finally transferred one last time, but the department is now closed.

Customer service is not helpful; it seems they read from scripts and prefer to transfer, stating each time that they cannot provide information, but the next department to which I will be transferred can. And then I must hold and be transferred ad nauseam. Oh, by the way, I tried setting up an account online. When I got to the last set up account page, it stated I could not access my mortgage online. CitiMortgage is horrendous. Avoid them at all costs.

Original review: April 16, 2017

I bought a house in 2004 with another company not Citi as my lender. That company sold my mortgage to Citi. At the time of closing our house sold for 130,000. 13 years later after we have paid 150,000 we still owe 150,000. We are not giving them another dime. We are giving them their house back in foreclosure and we don't care. No wonder they were forced to close all their offices all over world. Unfair business practices.

Original review: April 15, 2017

I have had 4 contracts on my home in the last 2 years... Each and every offer was turned down by Citi. The last one was April 15, 2017 for 175,000. The bank counter for 189,000, the buyer came up to 180,000. The bank said they wanted 188,500 the buyer walked... With this I'm walking away from this house. I will let it fall down before I have any more contact with this lender...

Original review: March 21, 2017

My loan was sold to Fay Servicing from CitiMortgage for 1 year and CitiMortgage bought it back??? Since CitiMortgage bought it back I have had nothing but problems. I got a foreclosure notice certified mail for 3 months of payments and I have paid 2 months. I have been contacting them to straighten it out and I am getting very frustrated. I received a notice that my house insurance was lapsing and that my taxes weren't paid. I called about my insurance and they explained oops it was a mistake and probably Fay Servicing should have paid it. I don't think so. It was due in January and that is when Citi took it back which means it is Citi's mistake. Then I received a notice in the mail that my taxes weren't paid either. Since it was a Saturday when I received the notice I tried to call which the billing statement says they are open on Saturdays but apparently that is so. So I tried the chat room, they insisted that they aren't supposed to pay my taxes.

Now I'm really upset. Why then are they taking X amount of dollars out for just my insurance??? What do they plan on doing with the excess amount??? I told the chat room to forget it and I was going to talk to someone via a phone call. Mind you I was very ticked off at this point. I finally got a human on the phone and they were so sorry for the mix up. But meanwhile I am charged 37 for a penalty for my taxes. Of course that is coming out of my escrow, shouldn't that be their expense??

When I received notice that I owed 3 months that was the last straw. I went to my financial institution and they verified that yes the payments were paid to Citi. And that they tried to collect 2 more times causing 2 more overdraft charges to my account. These were unauthorized attempts. Isn't that illegal? I can't seem to find an attorney to touch this. Apparently everyone is scared of such a large corporation. They told me at the last phone call to get back to them in 2 weeks. They are going to investigate. I have a feeling it's not going to be in my favor. But I do have my credit union to back my payments and their attempts unauthorized. I think this is going to be a long battle. I wouldn't recommend any Citi group to anyone. My life is being consumed with trying to prove I'm right.

Original review: March 8, 2017

I had a 1st mortgage with CitiMortgage, that I never made a late payment on, for 10 years. I decided to refinance for a lower rate and decided to go with Citi, since I had been a customer for 10 years and thought it would make the process easy and fast. WRONG. It took 5 long months to get the approval. I would NEVER recommend that anyone ever obtain a mortgage with Citi. It was the worst financial transaction I ever experience in my 60+ years.

Original review: March 4, 2017

One of the worst experiences I have ever had with a refinance. They will lie to you, they will take money from you, get nothing in return. They will drag it out for 3 months. As soon as they get you for 800.00 or more they will tell you that you don't have good enough credit. I have a score of 780 and I've been making mortgage payments to them for 10 years and no missed or late payments. I guess I will try to refinance somewhere else.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

Getting into details about CITI Mortgage and their loan assistance refinance, hardship program. About 7 months ago I lost my job, we used my savings to try and stay afloat but unfortunately could not. We contacted CITI Mortgage right away before we were close to being in the rears and attempted to make arrangement. But they told me unless I was actually behind they could not help me, in addition they said I didn't make enough money to defer the loan payment. Go figure. I am attempting to do right and they won't help.

So once we were behind, we contacted them again and spoke with an agent and starting making arrangements. This took us about 6 weeks to get all the paperwork filed. Then we all of a sudden we got a new agent. Total loss on this second agent, we gave her direct phone number to contact but she refused to call them instead she called one of my cell phones which is not on during the day, it's in a secure area. When we did get a hold of her she had us redo all the paperwork again, and in the meantime falling behind on second mortgage. This repeated twice with this agent, with no calls from her or incorrect calls.

5 months later it was escalated because nothing was done on the account except to the primary mortgage. We spoke to another agent in the escalation department and within a week we made arrangement, she told us we could make double payments on the primary account, catch it up and then she could restructure the second.

4 weeks later we made our double payments got the primary taken care of and contacted the 3rd agent. She no longer has the account and it has been escalated again to the recovery department. Now we found out from a third agent she had no authority to make the offer and is no longer in the department and my second mortgage was sent to CITI Recovery going into Charge off. Contacted that department attempted to make arrangements again and was told that they would send me paperwork in two days, I can submit my pay statements, offer letter and we can make arrangements.

4 days later I contacted them because I have no mail from them on what needs to be filled out and now I find out the sent it to a third party. Now I am in process of submitting a formal request to CITI, I may get a lawyer, to request written history of all transactions, email, phone call with CITI. Here is what they said, "They will research your request and send you a response back. Please continue to work with the recovery department." CITI Bank is the most deceiving, lying, misrepresentation of a mortgage company I have ever seen. Their staff is incompetent, unworthy of being called homeowner agent and should be looked into for illegal practices.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

I took out a loan with CITI against a house I inherited to start a business. They had someone come to the house to "appraise it". They went to the property to "evaluate" the value, did not call me, they merely drove halfway down the driveway in the dead of winter and took pictures out of the car window! I have the pictures to prove it. Parts of the house was built in the 1920's and added on to several times! They didn't even talk to me, they just gave the money, $132,000, I made interest payments on time for 10 years, to the total of over $45,000, plus they charge $50 a month just for having given me a loan!

My business failed after 7 years and had to file bankruptcy, chapter 13 and had to pay for 5 years of lawyer fees in which after the bankruptcy, they tripled my payment and told me I was behind in my payments. They said they would pay the property taxes and flood insurance and just add it to the end of my loan, never happened. I called about a loan modification, sent them all the documents and was told they did not receive them or they were incomplete, so I re-sent them.

This has been going on for over a year and are now threatening to foreclose or due a short sale. Now I have moved to the executive level and are asking for the information again! I wrote that my payments now should be applied to the principal only, I mean they already took $45,000! CITI has had so many lawsuits against them, yet they are still allowed to conduct business and take everyone's money, "Pay or we take it away." I am my wits end, these people professional criminals and are getting away with it!

I say let's band together and raise awareness to this incompetent, fraudulent, thieving, corrupt, ruthless corporation. I think we should file a Class Action suit! Anybody in? I'm also going to write to the news stations, maybe even The President! I've already wrote to my Attorney General, as you all should do for a start, they got the ball rolling for me. CITIMortgage needs to be accounted for this criminal conduct! Many of you have been going through this hell for years, it's time to let it be heard how fraudulent this company is!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

After spending a month fighting with my insurance company over a claim regarding storm damage to an out building Citimortgage will not release the funds as the check was made out to myself and them!!! They first asked for a copy of the claim and then said they would release funds. Then they asked for paid receipts, then more information... Everyday it changes and they said they didn't get the last information and then state, "Oh yes we found it but require more."

Our home is currently worth 600k and we only own 80k on the loan (plan on paying it off asap as we've had it with CitiMortgage). The claim was on a outbuilding shop that has nothing to do with the main structure and they were suppose to do a waiver for that fact but once again that information is lost and they are asking for more documents they already have!!! The insurance check was suppose to be to pay for the damage; now I have personally paid for everything and they still will not sign off the check.

CitiMortgage Company Information