2. Mortgages

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.17/5

CitiMortgage Reviews

Original review: May 19, 2019

When it was time for a refinance Citi had already decided to offer me an option that saved me hundreds of dollars per month without adding to the term. I would call that really good customer treatment.

Original review: May 12, 2019

They sent me papers without my consent to sign for a lower payment in 2008 (during the recession). I did not know at the time that it was to pay off the interest and hardly pay any principal. I still have the paperwork where erroneous people signed the paperwork. Remember, nothing was discussed to me at all. The mortgage has been taken over by yet another servicing company. The mortgage was kept the same way where 95% is paid towards INTEREST and the other 5% is paid to principal. It was not that way initially.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Scam- just the wealthy ripping off the 99%! Homes used to be bought outright- lobbying firms bought congress and now they want to steal your homes through reverse mortgage. Come on people- fight for your right to party!

Original review: May 10, 2019

I also was a CitiMortgage customer who got stuck with this Mickey Mouse mortgage company. They keep saying I didn’t pay my April payment, despite me having back records showing that I did. They said they will have to investigate it, and said "It’s ok. It won’t go on your credit report right now," which was a lie! I’ve even offered to email them my bank statements to show I paid, yet they won’t listen.

Original review: April 26, 2019

Having a second mortgage for 20 years. Stellar repayments! Our home suffered a water loss. We fought with our insurance company to get the amount needed to restore our home. Insurance added Citi on our check. They escrowed it and have been making us jump through hoops to get those funds released so we can at least get our job fixed. It’s going on TWO years. We have to pay on our home and hotels/apartment. They did escalate us to resolution department after misplacing our funds, we fax info they request and it sits on desks for weeks. They insist in inspections to see progress... We have no funds to get things progressed!

Frustrating and madding! They hold less than 1/4 of our equity. Yet they want protection. We make moment payments with high interest yet, they hold onto more than half the amount we owe them in escrow and are not paying interest on the funds they are most likely making money on. They talk down to us as if we are children with scripted responses. Never ever get any loan from them!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CitiMortgage?

Original review: April 22, 2019

Started signed up for a modification started the process. Nothing but a lot of paperwork they could never keep track of. They ended up putting my property in foreclosure. My lawyer said it's called dual tracking, against the law but still happened. Company is the worst. So are their reps.

Original review: April 17, 2019

During the title search process to get a HELOC the title company discovered a lien on our house in the amount of $30,000 from August of 2007. We did take out a home equity loan in 2007 and paid it off fully in 2009. This is also in county records along with the certificate of satisfaction. The other lien was dated a few weeks earlier and has no certificate of satisfaction as we did not get two loans.

Calls to Citimortage are pointless as their records do not go back that far - but they can tell us that the only loan they have a record of is the one we know about and paid off. They have nothing on the one which has a lien on our house. We couldn’t even pay $30,000 to get this lien off our house if we wanted to!!! Our credit reports don’t show this loan of ever having existed either.

Records for 2007 are with a company called Vertugo and they only have a fax number or mailing address. Many faxes have been sent and not a single response. Here’s the kicker.... We decide to inquire with the lawyer who is listed as the trustee to both loans (legit and fraudulent) and he tells us he never consented to this and has sued CitiMortgage for using his name on many many other fraudulent documents....and won (which we verified to be true). So we can’t even sell our house and we can’t even find anyone to give us a letter of satisfaction to move on!!! What a horrible company. They shattered our dream of building a new home and leave us trapped in our home as well.

Original review: April 6, 2019

So, my mom has had a mortgage with Citi for over 30 years. My parents paid off the loan once but my father took out a home improvement loan against the home against my mom's wishes. Long story short my parents are divorced and he pretty much walked away from this debt because she got the home. My mom at this time did a remodification since she lost my father's income.

At this time CitiMortgage put a balloon payment at the end of the terms of the loan. In October she was told she owed $9,053.00. She’s a senior living on a budget with CKD, she doesn’t have that kind of money and neither do I. The people there have no idea what they’re doing. They told her about a hardship loan and was told to keep making her payments and to send in the information they needed which she did. They wouldn’t cash the checks and sent them back, and every time she sent in what they required there was something else she needed. She’d send that and lo and behold there was something else she needed to send.

This went on two months until Without notice they closed her loan and send it to a place called Cenlar. She explained the situation to them and they told her to send them a packet of info like utilities statements, paystubs, etc. She did that and they’re starting the play the same games as she just got a letter stating they needed MORE info!! It’s all a game to them. I really don’t know what to do right now and we’re trying to get a loan from our bank to pay it. Mind you my mom wasn’t behind on payments, this was. Balloon payment added to the loan without her knowledge or she wouldn’t have signed it!! Please stay far away from this company. They’re horrible and really unscrupulous!!

Original review: March 29, 2019

I have had this equity line for close to 20 years. Ran into a rough patch for 2 years. Was behind one month in my payments. Was sent harassment letters to the home, sometimes 3-4 a day. Citibank was calling my house, leaving rambling messages, then started calling my place of work. Threatened to put negative input on my credit rating.

Again, I was one month late during this period, paying a late fee on top of all. I informed not to call my place of business and blocked all their calls coming to my home, (sometimes 3 to 4 calls in a day). You can not make a payment online, so you have to deal with their customer service. Currently I am making monthly payments of $1,800, of which $800.00 is interest, at 5.5%. I owe $175,000. So you can get an idea of what this loan actually will cost. I now have the funds to pay this off. THE ABSOLUTE WORST BANK I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH, PERIOD..STAY AWAY FROM CITIBANK... P.S. Citi also sent me a letter stated they will have send someone out to see if I still live at the address, and there will be a fee for this service...

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I'm trying to save my mother's home and have been going back and forth between CitiMortgage and my attorney overseeing the matter, for months now. The attorney has sent everything They asked for and when I cap in to figure out what's going on, CitiMortgage reps tell me a new excuse as to why I'm not on the account yet. They give a new excuse every single phone call, after giving them everything they asked for in previous calls.

The most recent rep I spoke to today, (Jason ID#**), is now giving me a new excuse as to why they still can't help. This rep is by far, the worst out of all I have contacted. He was extremely rude, talked over me the entire call and even had the audacity to tell me, after asking to speak to a supervisor or someone who knows what they're doing, (he clearly doesn't know what he's doing), "I'm telling you what you need to do and now you're going to wait on hold while I get a supervisor". He cut me off and placed me on hold for 10 mins. He came back on and said there's no supervisors available and back on hold. Phone call was 33 mins long and nothing was done.

CitiMortgage is doing everything they can, to not help, in hopes they can foreclose on my deceased mother's home. They are the most shady company I've ever dealt with in my life. I can't get ** customer service and not once has there been an available supervisor to speak to. Jason also informed me that he's been there for years and the supervisor would tell me the same thing and was trying to find a way to end the call. I would steer clear of doing any business with this company and its reps. Terrible company.

Not sure about CitiMortgage?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right mortgage company for you.

CitiMortgage Company Information