Formerly Sunpro Solar

1.2/5 (13 ratings)

Find Solar Energy Companies partners near you

About ADT Solar

ADT Solar sells and installs solar panels from four brands, including Enphase, LG, Unirac and Outback Power. It takes care of all permitting and inspections and backs up its work with a 25-year guarantee that covers labor, power production and certain parts and systems. The company is available in 22 states nationwide.

Find Solar Energy Companies partners near you

Pros

• 25-year guarantee
    • Free consultation
    • Handles permitting
    • Provides roofing support

Cons

• Not available in all states
    • No in-house financing

Bottom Line

ADT Solar sells solar panels and handles permitting, installation, inspections, electrical work and grid connection. Systems come with a 25-year, legally binding power production guarantee, along with warranty coverage.

What is ADT Solar?

ADT Solar is a solar energy company that offers grid-tied solar panel system installation in 22 states. It can get your system up and running in several weeks. ADT Solar also installs Tesla Powerwall energy storage and solar batteries to provide power through the night and help you avoid electrical surge prices.

ADT Solar systems come with a 25-year labor guarantee, 25-year power production guarantee, 25-year panel module performance guarantee and 25-year Enphase microinverters guarantees. Brands include LG, Enphase, Outback Power and Unirac.

The company also has an in-house roofing division to address any concerns regarding roof damage and ensure the best practices for solar installation. In case of damage to your solar panels, ADT Solar can also help with removal and reinstallation.

ADT Solar provides 100% in-house repair and maintenance of its systems. If panels are damaged, customers are covered by the 25-year guarantee and will not pay for repairs.

How does ADT Solar work?

ADT Solar offers free estimates and energy audits to get you started. A solar specialist will work with you to customize a solar energy system that meets your goals and maximizes efficiency on your property.

ADT Solar takes care of the permits, inspections and electrical work. Once the company installs the panels and the city utility installs the net meter, the system starts producing power right away.

You only pay for the electricity not produced by your system, and any excess power will be sent back to the city grid. Net metering works slightly differently depending on location.

With the installation of an ADT Solar solar system, customers get lifetime, 24/7 online monitoring with Enphase Enlighten. Track energy consumption, see performance data in real time, check that the system is operating normally and get alerts of any issues with the array.

ADT Solar cost

ADT Solar says the average cost to install solar panels ranges from $11,000 to $25,000. The exact cost depends on square footage, kilowatt usage and the south-facing roofline. In some areas, you can get rebates and tax credits.

Qualified customers can finance a ADT Solar system with $0 down, but you can also obtain a solar loan or pay upfront (solar purchase). ADT Solar also recommends exploring an Energy Efficient Mortgage, which credits a home’s energy efficiency into the mortgage.

ADT Solar FAQ

Where is ADT Solar available?

ADT Solar is available in:

• Iowa
    • California
    • Nevada
    • Massachusetts
    Does ADT Solar provide a warranty?

Yes, ADT Solar provides a 25-year warranty on labor, power production, panel module performance and Enphase microinverters.

What financing programs does ADT Solar offer?

ADT Solar partners with solar loan providers to offer zero-down financing. The company also accepts solar loans from banks and credit unions. An Energy Efficient Mortgage can also finance a solar energy system.

What brands of solar panels are available from ADT Solar?

ADT Solar sells products from LG, Enphase, Outback Power and Unirac.

How long do ADT Solar solar power systems last?

ADT Solar claims its solar power systems can last up to 50 years. The company offers a 25-year power production guarantee.

Is ADT Solar legit?

ADT Solar offers a 25-year power production guarantee with its solar energy installations, which legally protects customers in case the solar panels don’t perform as expected. With a warranty, ADT Solar also covers labor, panels and inverters. Though ADT Solar isn’t available in all areas, the company offers services in 22 states and has performed over 18,000 solar installations.

ADT Solar doesn’t outsource to other contractors for repair and maintenance of its solar arrays, and all systems come with 24/7 online monitoring.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT Solar?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT Solar?

Original review: June 16, 2022

Solar panels installed December 2021. It's now June 2022 and we are still not up and running...have had 4 FAILED inspections.. Communication with anyone from ADT is terrible and no one has a clue what's going on... Stay away from this company.. Find a more reputable Solar company.

Original review: June 13, 2022

DO NOT use ADT Solar/Sunpro. We were promised our electric bill would be around $9-$40 and it has consistently been $300+ since going active. Now we are stuck with a solar payment AND a high electricity payment (both equal more than what we were originally paying before solar). In addition we had leaks in our brand new roof from the panels. STAY AWAY!!!

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2022

This has been the worst experience I've had with any company. I've given this company $95K and I have no received anything in return! They should not be in the solar business, or anywhere close to customers. They lack technical competence to do this job and will deceive, avoid, and delay! Move on, please! We signed a contract with ADT (SunPro) Solar four months ago and the collective team still cannot figure out the electrical wiring diagram that is safe and to code for our home configuration. The panels were installed months ago and the system failed inspection by the county because the engineering diagram did not match the wiring by the electricians.

Initially the wiring was incorrect which my husband, who is not an electrician, noticed and brought to their attention, but ADT did not update the engineering diagrams and sent the inspector anyway. After the failed inspection, and upon "escalation," it took five weeks to make a revision on the engineering diagram and it is still wrong! It doesn't properly account for our whole house generator and as depicted does not match the wiring that they changed in the house weeks ago. Despite this fact, they're planning on sending out the county inspector again next week which won't go well, but we're inclined to let it go through for additional documentation of this painful process. The bottom line here is you're probably better off doing the research yourself and contracting out more reputable electricians and installers on your own than going with this company.

You'll pay a premium if you do, and in the end, it will not be hands off at all. These are good people that mean well but they're overwhelmed with the demand and their crews lack experience, especially if your home configuration is more complicated than a single meter and breaker box. You'll have to pay for your system up front once they put the panels on the roof or in the ground, and there is no guarantee on how long it will take, if ever, to get the system actually producing power.

They will tell you that they'll make the loan payments if the system does not become operational but we haven't experienced that yet. They'll also tell you a lot of other things, like you can call their CEO, they are the best in the business, their account manager will monitor and communicate with you throughout the process, and much more. Just ignore them and move on. There are many better options. Join a Facebook forum to read the good stories and get multiple quotes on the companies that perform. AVOID ADT!

Original review: May 23, 2022

My stepson owns the house that his mom and I live in in July of 202. He decided to get solar for this house. Now it's May of 2022 and we are still waiting for solar to be turned on. The worst support.

Original review: May 19, 2022

If I could give a negative score I would. If you want to spend a whole lot of money and get raked over the coals repeatedly...you are in the right place. I thought things were good. We bought our system June 2018, Salesman was pleasant, went in as scheduled. Fast forward to 2019 tax season, that tax credit didn't happen so our payment went up to $375.00 Per month, mind you that is on top of our current electric bill. Fast forward again, to 2021, time to refinance the house with all time lows for interest rates, imagine our anger when the mortgage company advised that there was a lien on our house for our solar panels, which were relayed to us as "unsecured". I am here to tell you, I wouldn't have a lien on my house if I needed a kidney.

Now, let's fast forward again to 2022 when our monitoring suddenly stopped, called Enphase (monitoring company). They said we needed to upgrade the cell modem, okay, let's do that..."Thank you ma'am, That will be another $476.00..."You have got to be kidding me. After interest this system will run us 65k, no, I am not giving another red cent. Enphase refuses to cover the modem regardless of the verbiage in my contract "The purchase of any Enphase microinverter will include the installation of the Envoy energy management system with lifetime free online monitoring access provided by Enphase". Now this is on Sunpro letterhead, they chose this monitoring, not me. Nowhere in the contract does it say that there are components that may become obsolete in 3.5 years requiring additional expense to the customer.

When I reached out to now ADT Solar with the issue, they push me back to Enphase completely washing their hands of the issue stating the monitoring is free but whatever else is involved is not their issue and was told at one point "ma'am you are clearly not comprehending what I am saying". Oh I comprehend just fine, ADT combined with Enphase equals...cha ching for them and forget the customer. This is the worst experience I have had. Those of you that just got your panels, wait for it, it's coming, you just won't know it until you are mmm 18 months into your new panels or until you try to refinance your home. Come to find out, "Oh look there, it's a lien on your home." Think twice and have an attorney review your contract before signing up with this company.

Original review: May 6, 2022

I was told that solar panels would reduce or eliminate my electric bill but I don't see how that will happen if they are never turned on because you refuse to schedule an inspection. I can't afford to pay for this system and pay the electric bill as well. I wasn't told that after the system was installed I would be making payments before it was working. The installation went well and the workmen who came out were excellent and professional. But the ball has been dropped on the inspection and it's been over a month with the only response is that "they are working on it".

Original review: April 26, 2022

Approximately two years ago, we installed solar panels sold to my disabled veteran husband by predatory practices. Once I started questioning the issue, the salesman said we would lose financing, so I was coerced to sign the financial loan through PACE. So, we first signed the financial agreement, and then 3 days later, ONLY my husband signed the sales contract. Interestingly, the salesperson brought us the sales contract 3 days after the PACE loan agreement. As such, we couldn't cancel PACE without penalty, and I couldn't cancel the contract because I NEVER saw it!

Regardless, we were hoping for what was promised. Even though their installation and customer service are subpar at best, and even though they deceived us with a PACE loan, we are hoping that for the cost of these panels, we would be 100% energy efficient as we were told. Per their Sunpro Solar 25 Year Power Production Guarantee, we will produce 25,087 kWh per year. Per their app "Enlighten," in 2020, we produced:22,900 kwh, and in 2021: 23,300; obviously less of what they "guaranteed." I called, and a rep stated they would review it, but they need 12 months of electric bills, which I will send. However, even with the yearly degradation % not explained, we are still producing less.

This company engages in unscrupulous practices to lure customers, does not provide all the pertinent details so we can choose to either buy them or not, and then they have customer reps like the one I spoke to, named Sherrie, who was incompetent to answer questions. This company is dishonest, with untrained employees (they opened holes on our roof in 2 spots because they didn't calculate the installation correctly the first time), and utterly unprofessional. Needless to say, the salesman only wanted to talk to my 100% disabled vet husband with a TBI because he knew my spouse would not adequately understand or ask questions. Additionally, even though they required me to sign the PACE loan, they somehow thought I didn't need to sign the sales contract. They prey on disabled homeowners or the elderly.

Original review: April 9, 2022

It is unfortunate to want to do solar and in the end be advocate to not get solar in Florida residential, your neighbors are horrified, and you're stuck with a 20 year loan. Real ROI is like 23 years. Don't be fooled. FYI Solar in general is bad at residential level and new Florida net metering makes it useless. Get a Generator and Gas tank for backup power. Below is apparently common, educate yourself before signing anything.

Company with beautiful brochures showed misleading advertising graphs (KW cost, national inflation), incorrect pricing parts, $3000 to cancel on 4th day if you do sign and figure out nothing matched salesman statements. SunPro came out to install, told twice, "This looks wrong" by installer before they even started. 8+ trips to get system working over 6 months, then roof leaks. They use their own employees however they are untrained. No idea what's going on. Brand new roof had leaking roof, inside with buckets and drywall falling, tracking tar and dirt in house, 3 more trips trying to caulk holes, replaced roof separate company, still left with $14K loan and partial solar. Apparently this is normal*, several company employees said they had 3 more problem appointments to fix just that day, not alone. Employees completely agreed it was a scam. :/

They charged a premium for the most horrible service you could receive. No one at company knew what the other was doing, every person coming out had some new person with them training, technician shows up and would ask what they were there for. Took 2 months for them to even notice the solar was completely offline during roof repair. Loan for 8 panels (2.9KW) was 14K, saves me $42 in electric bill and pay $52 on my loan. Something they won't say, your insurance will cost more and they don't cover it under hurricane deductible.

Original review: March 29, 2022

HIGHS:

Install techs and energy pro tech (Sean) were customer-centric. It was great to hear them talk about the company and the confidence they had in their product.
      The techs were respectful of the property and neighbors.
      I felt valued talking with the techs about questions I had about the product.

Install was clean and app is very user friendly.

LOWS:

Salesman not knowing product and relaying false information.
      Salesman not knowing the actual timeline of the process relaying false information.
      Sales manager not knowing the actual timeline of the process relaying false information.
      Errors within the control of the company that caused 2 months of delays.
      Account manager that doesn’t respond within 24 hours regarding consistent issues.

Account manager that isn’t proactive regarding issues that arise. (“Hey, just saw the email, this is what we’re doing to fix it”) Not wait for the customer to reach out.

Final thoughts:

Have salesman that are educated on all products and can answer all questions correctly and confidently. Now we have been put in an incredibly difficult position due to the lack of communication and deceitful tactics of Sunpro. We are going from $130 a month, not to $194 like we were told by our salesman and shown on our contract. No, now we will be paying $500+ a month due to no longer being eligible for the plan we were on with NVEnergy and having to pay the solar loan until the utility credit is applied in 4-6 months.

Have customer centric minded support staff. In my instance, the sales/account team are hindering the growth of the company. I would not refer sunpro to anyone due to the simple fact I would not want anyone to go through what I did. I truly feel like I spent 50K on an investment and it is an inconvenience for sunpro to email me. I scrubbed my social media and had to edit my reviews that I had written. I feel embarrassed when asked about my experience because I told so many of my friends and relatives about going with sunpro in the beginning. While the product itself is great thus far, the customer support is incredibly unsatisfactory. This was a project my wife and I were so excited for and then piece by piece it got less and less exciting. Communication is key with every business, it is severely lacking at sunpro.

Original review: March 25, 2022

I apologize this is lengthy but consumer beware. I gave 1 star because you can't give zero. First I want to say that the crews that came to our house were nice & friendly but that's where it ends. These people do not communicate with the customer or each other. They also brag about the owner's personal phone number being on the welcome card and you can contact him personally anytime, this is a lie, there is a number on the card which I have called & txt several times, no one answers and never got a response.

This company is terrible, signed paperwork in May of 2021, now it's March 2022 and we are paying for a system that is still incomplete. We were told installation would begin 30 to 45 days after signing and that it would be a 1 day install because our setup was "simple". A little over 90 days later the installation started but only after I made few calls, and was given the excuse of scheduling mistakes and heavy workload. Then the 1 day installation was the panels only. By the way the reason they put the panels up on day 1 is so they can tell the loan company that the job is complete so they start getting paid, also once the loan company starts payments you're stuck.

I contacted the loan company Mosaic that Sunpro setup by the way, and explained that the job was barely started & far from complete. Mosaic said because the last payment had not been made they would hold it until I notified them that the job was completed, this also did not happen. Back to the install, it was a little over a month after the panels were installed before the trenching crew made it out to do their part of the install again after I made a few calls. Finally everything is installed just waiting for it to be commissioned, get tired of waiting and make another call. They emailed the start up instructions to me to have me turn everything on which is against their policy.

I followed the instructions and a few weeks later was having problems so I called again, they sent an electrician and a tech support out. They both agreed that I should not have been the one to turn the system on and because there was no wifi connection the components could not communicate and burned up a $15k to $20k battery that they had to replace. Because we are in a rural area we were on a Hotspot but the system will not operate on a hot spot. To sunpro's credit they have offered to set us up with Starlink and pay for 2 years service, problem is starlink is not supposed to be available in our area until the end of 2022. So we are still waiting and getting no communication. Really just want them to come remove the equipment & have nothing to do with them.

Find a Solar Energy partner near you.

ADT Solar Company Information