3.6/5 (39 ratings)
Author picture
Written by
Edited by

About Freedom Solar Power

Freedom Solar, a SunPower Master Dealer, is a full-service solar power installation company. From on-site consultations to 24/7 performance monitoring, the company’s fully in-house team helps customers at every point of their solar power journey. Freedom Solar serves residential customers in Texas, Colorado, Florida and Virginia as well as commercial properties throughout the country

Pros

• 25-year warranty
  • SunPower Master Dealer
  • NABCEP-certified team
  • Numerous financing options

Cons

• Residential products only available in four states
  • Consultation required for pricing

Bottom Line

Freedom Solar is a solar power installation company providing a full range of services for residential and commercial projects. The company helps customers in Texas, Colorado, Florida and Virginia manage roof, ground and off-grid solar.

What is Freedom Solar?

Freedom Solar is a leading solar panel installation company. It provides end-to-end solar power services to residential and commercial properties. This includes a free on-site consultation, panel installation, assistance with permitting and regular maintenance. The company also installs backup power sources, like batteries and generators. Freedom Solar’s goal is to empower consumers by providing clean, reliable solar energy services.

The company is a SunPower Master Dealer, the highest distinction given by SunPower to its dealers.

How does Freedom Solar work?

To get started with Freedom Solar, you can get an instant estimate on its website. Based on your property address and average electricity cost, Freedom Solar provides you with information like:

• Expected savings on energy costs
  • Expected increase of your home value
  • Estimated environmental impact
  • Recommended number of panels

To get accurate pricing and a custom system proposal, you can request a free consultation. A member of Freedom Solar’s team meets you in person for an on-site survey. The consultant discusses:

• A potential system layout
  • Costs, applicable savings and tax benefits
  • Estimated length of the project
  • Preferred equipment
  • Financing options

After the initial consultation, you’ll receive a custom design in line with your budget, zoning restrictions, build structure and aesthetic.

Freedom Solar handles all permitting for your installation. This includes agreements for utility interconnection and applications for net metering, as well as local building and electrical permits. The team also helps prepare the documents needed for you to receive rebate incentives.

The solar panels only take one to three days to install, but the entire project from contract signing to installation lasts about 90 days.

Freedom Solar ensures that your panels operate with optimal performance by monitoring them 24/7 from its facility. Post-installation, you receive access to a web app that allows you to monitor your energy power production and costs.

Freedom Solar services

Freedom offers complete solar power installation services for residential and commercial properties.

For residential properties, the company provides roof solar panels, ground-mounted arrays and off-grid systems. Freedom Solar services all roof types, including:

• Spanish-tile roofs
  • Standing seam metal roofs
  • Corrugated roofs
  • Flat roofs

For commercial properties, Freedom Solar provides custom installation options for:

• Ballasted flat roofs
  • Thermoplastic polyolefin (TPO) roofing
  • Metal roofing
  • Ground mounts
  • Parking structures

Freedom Solar also performs installation and maintenance for backup power services. The company is certified to install Tesla Powerwall batteries, which store solar energy to be used as short-term backup power. Freedom Solar can also install home generators as a backup power option.

If you need to remove or replace your panels for repairs or remodels, Freedom Solar offers removal and reinstallation services.

Freedom Solar cost

Freedom Solar estimates that the average cost of solar panels for its residential customers is $42,000 for an 8-kW SunPower system before any local rebates and tax incentives.

For commercial properties, the average cost of a 100-kW solar system is approximately $200,000 before incentives.

These prices are hefty, but there are local, state and federal incentives for residents and businesses to implement solar energy. Freedom Solar explains these incentives as part of its proposals.

You need to request a consultation to get an accurate estimate of the cost of your solar installation. The cost of solar panels and installation varies depending on:

• The panels you choose
  • The size of the system
  • The mounting style
  • Labor costs
  • Your existing electrical service
  • Where you live
  • Rebates and incentives

Freedom Solar offers flexible financing options. Residential properties can finance their purchase with low interest rates and no money down.

Commercial properties can install a system with a cash purchase, operating lease, capital lease or power purchase agreement (PPA).

Freedom Solar FAQ

Where is Freedom Solar available?

Freedom Solar is available in:

• Texas: Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Irving
  • Colorado: Colorado Springs, Denver
  • Florida: Tampa and Orlando
  • Virginia: Chesapeake
Does Freedom Solar have a warranty?

Freedom Solar has a 25-year product, performance and workmanship warranty. The warranty covers 100% of repairs and replacements, including any shipping and labor costs.

How long has Freedom Solar been in business?

Freedom Solar has been providing its services since 2007.

Is Freedom Solar worth it?

Freedom Solar is worth it if you’re looking for a reliable solar power installation company for SunPower equipment. Freedom Solar’s team assists you at every step of your solar installation, and all its services are in-house. Freedom Solar is a good option if you prefer working with one company for your entire solar project.

Freedom Solar also has an impressive commercial portfolio, with clients such as Whole Foods, Shake Shack and the University of Texas. The company specializes in car dealership installations and hs serviced more than 60 U.S. car dealership locations.

Freedom Solar Power Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Solar Power?

Original review: April 28, 2022

The sales rep forgot to give my proposal and final papers in the email, but the installation was fine. Then, the regional manager sent me a few paperwork later on after they called end of last year. But sometimes, the app has issues. The monitoring system was going in and out on January or February. When it goes out, I don't get the correct amount of solar that was used. I get a number, but there's nothing to verify it with. Also, if I can get all the paperwork that was associated with the placement of the letters that were sent to the HOA, that would be great. Otherwise, it's good.

Freedom Solar Power response

Hi Nithin, thank you for reaching our to us. We're sorry about the paperwork and app issues. We would like to learn more about what happened so we can look into the issue and resolve it. Please reach out to our customer care team to at customerservice@freedomsolarpower.com. Thank you for your review!

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 26, 2022

Freedom Solar Power seemed to be organized and they were. However, for a long time, I didn't hear from Freedom because the representative left the company and they may not have assigned me to another person. But the installation was flawless. The system worked with a complicated setup flawlessly after one day and we've had no downtime. The very next day after it was installed, there was a power outage on our street and I didn't even know it happened. The system is been 100% reliable and I have a good buyback program too. I also asked for a rebate of the cost it cost me to switch from my previous provider to Rhythm and they gave me the $300.

The only drawback is with the renewal with Rhythm, I can no longer have a negative bill. If I equal my entire electric use, I will not get a rebate on the surplus. It's a disincentive to add more solar. I'm going to investigate to see if there is a company that will allow me to have a net negative bill for an entire year. In which case, I could add more solar panels. But right now, I'm at the maximum with Rhythm as a company. That was a company that was recommended to me and it's been satisfactory. So, I've stayed with it.

Freedom Solar Power response

Hi Lennard, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We're proud to hear that your new SunPower system and savings are proving to meet all of your expectations. Congrats on making your own power and thank you for choosing Freedom!

Original review: April 14, 2022

Freedom Solar did not piecemeal the project. They made the panels and installed them as well as warrantied and monitored the panels. They did everything as a company. Overall, I'm quite satisfied. There were a couple of little glitches when they installed it though. They thought they could put more panels on than they could. So, that was a little disheartening. Two days ago, there was a problem with our roof, so I don't know what that's going to be involving because part of it is not adequate and will need to be repaired. That's a bit of a glitch because they inspected it before they put the solar panels on.

I had a couple of different people along the way with projects. There was the salesperson who was very helpful and there was the project manager too. The service and questions have been great. I'd call their corporate office and ask questions and they’ve gotten back to me. So, they're good. To keep track of what I’m producing, there is an app on my phone that I can see daily and monthly production. Freedom also sends me an email once a month regarding what my production is. And I can see the results through the energy provider that I've chosen.

Freedom Solar Power response

Hi Elizabeth. We appreciate the review, and are glad we could provide you with a positive experience! We are so sorry about the installation glitch. I have escalated this with our team and they have ensured me that they are working to make this right for you. I apologize that we have dropped the ball but we will do whatever we can to improve your experience with us. Please don't hesitate to reach out to customercare@freedomsolarpower.com if we can assist you with anything else in the meantime.

Original review: April 13, 2022

I talked to one of their sales rep and he was the best person. He gave me 95% of the detail I needed and that's why I went with Freedom Solar. Everything was perfect with the sign up process. But one problem was the tax credit. They told me I would get a tax credit but it was not working as you get a tax credit. I called the IRS myself after I find out and they told me that I would only get 500 bucks. But I was supposed to get around 8,000. So they clear the money you owe to the IRS, but it's not giving you a credit. I called the salesperson again but there was nothing he could do. But other than that, everything was good. They answered my question and the scheduling was perfect. The installation was very quick. We rushed to do the installation before the end of the year and they worked with me and gave it to me right away.

Freedom Solar Power response

Hi Dourid. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review! It sounds like our team did a great job making sure you had a smooth experience from start to finish. We're very sorry about the tax credit confusion but we're glad everything was taken care of. Congrats on going solar and thank you for choosing Freedom!

Original review: April 6, 2022

The reps at Freedom Solar I spoke with were great. My only issue is that we were told that we'd get a huge tax rebate thing and we’d get $21,000 or $23,000 back from the government after signing the contract and that is not the way it works. I texted my CPA, and he said that based on my income, I'm getting 600 bucks a year back for five years, and that our income is not high enough to facilitate that. Other than that, everybody in that company has been great. I talked to one of their guys in Austin and I really liked him. Everything he said is proven to be true.

Freedom Solar Power response

Hi Greg. Thank you so much for your review! We strive to be transparent and put the customer first and we apologize if that wasn't the case. We are glad that you had a great experience and we're positive you'll continue to love your new SunPower system. Thank you for choosing Freedom Solar!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

Everything was great with Freedom Solar, except that the whole net metering program wasn't described to me in a way that helped me make a good decision. So, I'm not getting the solar panels installed. They want to install them within the next couple months but the day that you go on the grid, your 12-month timer starts. My highest usage months are June, July, and August. So, the only way for me to maximize net metering and get the value out of the solar panels would be for me to go on the grid in September. By going on the grid in January, I miss September, October, November, and December. That's four months of buildup of credits. So, when June, July, and August come, I'm going to be over the capacity of my solar panels and I'm going to pay out of pocket. Then on September, October, November, and December, I will be producing more energy than I can use, but those credits will never be used because I get reset in January.

The fact that they didn't try and schedule this to make it best work for my home was a little bit deceptive and not right because they're advertising this net metering and how you're only going to pay X amount of dollars then they were going to make it so it works that you offset all your costs. But they didn't talk about when they needed to time it to get on the grid. They just wanted to get the panels on your roof as soon as they can which is unethical. I would tell others all about the net metering program and tell them that if they could schedule it and get it in writing that they would be on the grid when they need to be on the grid, then they should do it with Freedom Solar. But if they can't, they should pass.

Freedom Solar Power response

Hi Drew, we appreciate your feedback and we apologize as this is certainly never the kind of experience we want our customers to have. We want to make things right for you, but we don't see you in our system. Do you mind emailing us at customerservice@freedomsolarpower.com with the name and address your system is under, and we will be communicating this to our sales leadership, so that we can improve further customer experience.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

The sales process was easy. We've had some hiccups along the way but I've been into all the details with Freedom Solar and hopefully, we're back on target and we'll get something done in the month of December.

Freedom Solar Power response

Hi Roy, we appreciate your feedback are glad we were able to work through your hiccups to ensure you have an excellent experience through your installation this month. Please don't hesitate to reach out to customerservice@freedomsolarpower.com if there is anything else we can help you with in the meantime.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

Everybody's been super nice and working diligently to get everything done. But I haven't heard from anybody at Freedom Solar lately. They had some stuff to do in getting approval from the city. They were still lacking some information but they've already heard back from my HOA. So, we're just waiting for approval and they told me it’s about three weeks before I'd hear anything else.

Freedom Solar Power response

Hi Teresa, we are so thrilled to hear that you have gone solar in North Carolina! Thank you for reaching out to alert us about the delays in communication. This is certainly not the experience we want our customers to have, and we are actively taking steps to improve our communication efforts. We will have someone from our team reach out to you directly this week with an update on your timeline and the approvals process. Thanks for your patience!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

We wrote an email to Freedom Solar this morning asking them where we do we stand on our process. The last time we heard, they were waiting for approvals from some of the government organizations and that was about a month ago. But what has happened up to now has been very good. They were on top of things, contacted us, and took care of some of the paperwork themselves. The anticipation that we had was that, hopefully, we're going to have this solar system installed prior to year end. But they said it takes time for the other approvals to come through. Other than that, the cost seems to be in line with what other people have told us it would be and the thing that seemed to swing us the most was their warranty.

Freedom Solar Power response

Hi Donald and Colleen, thank you so much for your feedback! We truly appreciate you as a customer. We are sorry that you have experienced some delays in communication. We've escalated your concerns to our operations team who are investigating this now. Someone will be reaching out to you soon to help. Thanks again, we very much look forward to getting your solar up and running!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

I have Freedom Solar installed 5 years ago. This year I had water leak under solar panels. The customer service was awful, I called and called, left message after message. After more rain I finally got a call back and company finally sent an employee to check the water damage inside my house. The rep said yes damage coming from under solar. I was told a date that Freedom would send someone, no one showed on the day. After numerous calls again I was told a person was coming to check damage again. This time the new guy went on the roof and said yes damage under solar, but he could not remove panels. I was given a date someone would come. Once again no show and no call. I called and called again and finally Freedom came (just showed no appointment) and removed the panels. I was told that pigeons living under the solar caused the damage.

I was never told of critter guards at time of install and did not know of this problem (Pigeons living under solar). The freedom employee removed numerous clay tiles and told me that I needed new paper installed and he would be back on the following Tuesday. I had surgery on that Tuesday and would leave everything open to do whatever they needed to do. That weekend more rain and more damage inside my house. I called on a Saturday morning for help and was told that Freedom could not do anything and for me to call on Monday. I had to leave work and tarp roof to prevent more damage. I called Monday and left message for help (no return call). Company did not show or call on Tuesday. I had to wait a few days after surgery to call again.

Short version, Satia ** (Escalations dept) finally agreed to fix damage and I signed an agreement to release the liability and they would pay $1500 for repairs (cheapest estimate). 3 days later they changed their decision and voided agreement because they believe that pigeons living under the solar are not their problem. Meanwhile solar panels still sitting in my backyard (weeks later). I will see them in small claims court. Buyer beware, Freedom's customer service is only a service that answers calls and leave messages for the few people that actually work there.

Freedom Solar Power response

Hello Donald, we are so sorry to hear that you have had issues with your solar system. However, we don't see you in our customer database, and we do not service the state of California. There are other solar companies in your area that we are sometimes confused with, and we need a little more information from you to direct you to the right person. Please send us your name and address where your solar is installed by emailing customerservice@freedomsolarpower.com or calling 833-500-0014. We want to get to the bottom of this for you!

Freedom Solar Power Company Information