4.1/5 (28 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Jon Bortin

About Freedom Solar Power

Freedom Solar is a full-service solar power installation company. From on-site consultations to 24/7 performance monitoring, the company’s fully in-house team helps customers at every point of their solar power journey. Freedom Solar serves residential and commercial properties in Texas, Colorado, Florida, Virginia, and North Carolina.

Pros

• Free consultation with energy consultant
  • Customized proposal
  • NABCEP-certified team
  • No subcontractors

Cons

• Only available in three states
  • Consultation required for pricing

Bottom Line

Freedom Solar is a solar power installation company providing a full range of services for residential and commercial projects. The company helps customers in Texas, Colorado and Florida manage roof, ground and off-grid solar.

What is Freedom Solar?

Freedom Solar is a leading solar panel installation company. It provides end-to-end solar power services to residential and commercial properties. This includes a free on-site consultation, panel installation, assistance with permitting and regular maintenance. The company also installs backup power sources, like batteries and generators. Freedom Solar’s goal is to empower consumers by providing clean, reliable solar energy services.

How does Freedom Solar work?

To get started with Freedom Solar, you can get an instant estimate on its website. Based on your property address and average electricity cost, Freedom Solar provides you with information like:

• Expected savings on energy costs
  • Expected increase of your home value
  • Estimated environmental impact
  • Recommended number of panels

To get accurate pricing and a custom system proposal, you can request a free consultation. A member of Freedom Solar’s team meets you in person for an on-site survey. The consultant discusses:

• A potential system layout
  • Costs, applicable savings and tax benefits
  • Estimated length of the project
  • Preferred equipment
  • Financing options

After the initial consultation, you’ll receive a custom design in line with your budget, zoning restrictions, build structure and aesthetic.

Freedom Solar handles all permitting for your installation. This includes agreements for utility interconnection and applications for net metering, as well as local building and electrical permits. The team also helps prepare the documents needed for you to receive rebate incentives.

The solar panels only take one to three days to install, but the entire project from contract signing to installation lasts about 90 days.

Freedom Solar ensures that your panels operate with optimal performance by monitoring them 24/7 from its facility. Post-installation, you receive access to a web app that allows you to monitor your energy power production and costs.

Freedom Solar services

Freedom offers complete solar power installation services for residential and commercial properties.

For residential properties, the company provides roof solar panels, ground-mounted arrays and off-grid systems. Freedom Solar services all roof types, including:

• Spanish-tile roofs
  • Standing seam metal roofs
  • Corrugated roofs
  • Flat roofs

For commercial properties, Freedom Solar provides custom installation options for:

• Ballasted flat roofs
  • Thermoplastic polyolefin (TPO) roofing
  • Metal roofing
  • Ground mounts
  • Parking structures

Freedom Solar also performs installation and maintenance for backup power services. The company is certified to install Tesla Powerwall batteries, which store solar energy to be used as short-term backup power. Freedom Solar can also install home generators as a backup power option.

If you need to remove or replace your panels for repairs or remodels, Freedom Solar offers removal and reinstallation services. The company also performs maintenance and repairs on solar systems that were installed by a third party.

Freedom Solar cost

Freedom Solar estimates that the average cost of solar panels for its residential customers is $42,000 for an 8-kW SunPower system before any local rebates and tax incentives.

For commercial properties, the average cost of a 100-kW solar system is approximately $200,000 before incentives.

These prices are hefty, but there are local, state and federal incentives for residents and businesses to implement solar energy. Freedom Solar explains these incentives as part of its proposals.

You need to request a consultation to get an accurate estimate of the cost of your solar installation. The cost of solar panels and installation varies depending on:

• The panels you choose
  • The size of the system
  • The mounting style
  • Labor costs
  • Your existing electrical service
  • Where you live
  • Rebates and incentives

Freedom Solar offers flexible financing options. Residential properties can finance their purchase with low interest rates and no money down.

Commercial properties can install a system with a cash purchase, operating lease, capital lease or power purchase agreement (PPA).

Freedom Solar FAQ

Where is Freedom Solar available?
Freedom Solar is available in:
  • Texas: Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Irving
  • Colorado: Colorado Springs, Denver
  • Florida: Tampa
Does Freedom Solar have a warranty?
Freedom Solar has a 25-year product, performance and workmanship warranty. The warranty covers 100% of repairs and replacements, including any shipping and labor costs.
How long has Freedom Solar been in business?
Freedom Solar has been providing its services since 2007.

Is Freedom Solar worth it?

Freedom Solar is worth it if you’re looking for a reliable solar power installation company. Freedom Solar’s team assists you at every step of your solar installation, and all its services are in-house. Freedom Solar is a good option if you prefer working with one company for your entire solar project. Freedom Solar has an impressive portfolio, with clients such as Whole Foods, Shake Shack and the University of Texas.

Freedom Solar Power Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Solar Power?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Solar Power?

Original review: April 28, 2022

The sales rep forgot to give my proposal and final papers in the email, but the installation was fine. Then, the regional manager sent me a few paperwork later on after they called end of last year. But sometimes, the app has issues. The monitoring system was going in and out on January or February. When it goes out, I don't get the correct amount of solar that was used. I get a number, but there's nothing to verify it with. Also, if I can get all the paperwork that was associated with the placement of the letters that were sent to the HOA, that would be great. Otherwise, it's good.

Freedom Solar Power response

Hi Nithin, thank you for reaching our to us. We're sorry about the paperwork and app issues. We would like to learn more about what happened so we can look into the issue and resolve it. Please reach out to our customer care team to at customerservice@freedomsolarpower.com. Thank you for your review!

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 26, 2022

Freedom Solar Power seemed to be organized and they were. However, for a long time, I didn't hear from Freedom because the representative left the company and they may not have assigned me to another person. But the installation was flawless. The system worked with a complicated setup flawlessly after one day and we've had no downtime. The very next day after it was installed, there was a power outage on our street and I didn't even know it happened. The system is been 100% reliable and I have a good buyback program too. I also asked for a rebate of the cost it cost me to switch from my previous provider to Rhythm and they gave me the $300.

The only drawback is with the renewal with Rhythm, I can no longer have a negative bill. If I equal my entire electric use, I will not get a rebate on the surplus. It's a disincentive to add more solar. I'm going to investigate to see if there is a company that will allow me to have a net negative bill for an entire year. In which case, I could add more solar panels. But right now, I'm at the maximum with Rhythm as a company. That was a company that was recommended to me and it's been satisfactory. So, I've stayed with it.

Freedom Solar Power response

Hi Lennard, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We're proud to hear that your new SunPower system and savings are proving to meet all of your expectations. Congrats on making your own power and thank you for choosing Freedom!

Original review: April 14, 2022

Freedom Solar did not piecemeal the project. They made the panels and installed them as well as warrantied and monitored the panels. They did everything as a company. Overall, I'm quite satisfied. There were a couple of little glitches when they installed it though. They thought they could put more panels on than they could. So, that was a little disheartening. Two days ago, there was a problem with our roof, so I don't know what that's going to be involving because part of it is not adequate and will need to be repaired. That's a bit of a glitch because they inspected it before they put the solar panels on.

I had a couple of different people along the way with projects. There was the salesperson who was very helpful and there was the project manager too. The service and questions have been great. I'd call their corporate office and ask questions and they’ve gotten back to me. So, they're good. To keep track of what I’m producing, there is an app on my phone that I can see daily and monthly production. Freedom also sends me an email once a month regarding what my production is. And I can see the results through the energy provider that I've chosen.

Freedom Solar Power response

Hi Elizabeth. We appreciate the review, and are glad we could provide you with a positive experience! We are so sorry about the installation glitch. I have escalated this with our team and they have ensured me that they are working to make this right for you. I apologize that we have dropped the ball but we will do whatever we can to improve your experience with us. Please don't hesitate to reach out to customercare@freedomsolarpower.com if we can assist you with anything else in the meantime.

Original review: April 13, 2022

I talked to one of their sales rep and he was the best person. He gave me 95% of the detail I needed and that's why I went with Freedom Solar. Everything was perfect with the sign up process. But one problem was the tax credit. They told me I would get a tax credit but it was not working as you get a tax credit. I called the IRS myself after I find out and they told me that I would only get 500 bucks. But I was supposed to get around 8,000. So they clear the money you owe to the IRS, but it's not giving you a credit. I called the salesperson again but there was nothing he could do. But other than that, everything was good. They answered my question and the scheduling was perfect. The installation was very quick. We rushed to do the installation before the end of the year and they worked with me and gave it to me right away.

Freedom Solar Power response

Hi Dourid. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review! It sounds like our team did a great job making sure you had a smooth experience from start to finish. We're very sorry about the tax credit confusion but we're glad everything was taken care of. Congrats on going solar and thank you for choosing Freedom!

Original review: April 6, 2022

The reps at Freedom Solar I spoke with were great. My only issue is that we were told that we'd get a huge tax rebate thing and we’d get $21,000 or $23,000 back from the government after signing the contract and that is not the way it works. I texted my CPA, and he said that based on my income, I'm getting 600 bucks a year back for five years, and that our income is not high enough to facilitate that. Other than that, everybody in that company has been great. I talked to one of their guys in Austin and I really liked him. Everything he said is proven to be true.

Freedom Solar Power response

Hi Greg. Thank you so much for your review! We strive to be transparent and put the customer first and we apologize if that wasn't the case. We are glad that you had a great experience and we're positive you'll continue to love your new SunPower system. Thank you for choosing Freedom Solar!

Original review: May 14, 2022

We had a sales guy who came out and presented Freedom Solar to us. They did a great job and we're very satisfied.

Freedom Solar Power response

Hi Mary, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We're so happy to hear that our sales team did such a great job making sure that your solar experience was a positive one. Thank you for choosing Freedom and congrats on going solar!

Original review: May 6, 2022

I wanted someone to come on, give me an estimate at my house and see what it was gonna cost me. A Freedom Solar Power representative went out to the house. We talked and he pretty much sold us on it. But knowing what I know now, I would have never bought it. The system is not what I expected. I wish someone would have told me that, before I went with solar energy, some of the things that would help the solar panels would be better insulation in my house. I'm paying the solar bill and I'm also paying the electric bill. That's not what we thought we were gonna be doing.

The sales guy, James, is no longer working with the solar company. He told us we were gonna have to deal with someone else but it was kind of difficult just to get the closing statement back and also trying to get information to do my taxes this year. I needed some information I have problems getting because nobody will get back to us and I kind of had to guesstimate on some stuff. I realized how much I have bought the solar panels for because the golden package doesn't even have the amount that I paid for the solar panel. I had to find my bills, the first bill that I received, and it has the full amount that was owed for the panels. That was how I figured out what I needed to put on my taxes.

Freedom Solar Power response

Hi Sheri, thank you for reaching out about this. That is certainly not the experience we expect our customer's to have. I've escalated this to our management team and they will be reaching out to you to do whatever we need to do on our part to make this right for you. Please email our customer care team if we can assist with anything else in the meantime -customerservice@freedomsolarpower.com

Original review: April 30, 2022

From the initial contact with the sales rep to the explanation of services, equipment and expectations, it's been excellent. When I had questions, the rep was always available to answer. The rest of the process was easy and the bills are pretty clear. I got a payment of about 336 for the panels. I haven't seen any electric bill on the 200, 300 range since I've had solar panels.

Freedom Solar Power response

Hi Mrs. Toler, we're so glad that you had a great experience with your sales rep and the rest of the Freedom Solar team. We are proud to hear that you're enjoying your SunPower system and savings. Congrats on making your own power and thank you for choosing Freedom!

Original review: April 29, 2022

Freedom Solar is an American product. They had good salesmanship, good product knowledge, and good overall feel from the sales staff. Also, the installers did exactly what they said they would do. It was towards the end of the year when we started inquiring, and Freedom Solar got it done that calendar year for the tax credits, which we're reducing the following year. So, I like the tax credits that we got. And I like that, practically, we have no electric bill.

Freedom Solar Power response

Hi Curtis, we're so glad that you had a great experience with the Freedom Solar sales team. We are proud to hear that you're enjoying your SunPower system and savings. Congrats on making your own power and thank you for choosing Freedom!

Original review: April 27, 2022

Freedom Solar got some information from my light company so they could have a better breakdown of what I spend a month. Based on that, they told me how everything works. I sent them information and they worked out a plan. The sales representative was able to answer my questions. The installation was super quick. However, I'm not happy with Freedom Solar at all. I wish I would have never even gotten this account. I don't see much difference in my light bill and I'm not thrilled about having the panels now. I’d spoken to several people about how I could terminate my contract then see if I could get these panels off my roof. At first, they said everything was transferable. But when I tried to do that, they said they don't do that. It was for absolutely nothing. It was just to get me to buy that they told me everything that I wanted to hear.

Also, I have called repeatedly to ask for the tax form because they told me that I needed to wait a whole year before I was able to get the tax form for the government incentive. The tax season is over as far as me turning in my taxes on time. I called and spoke to someone. He said he was gonna send it over but I'm still waiting.

Freedom Solar Power response

Hi Wendy, thank you for reaching out about this. That is certainly not the experience we expect our customer's to have. I've escalated this to our management team and they will be reaching out to you to do whatever we need to do on our part to make this right for you. Please email our customer care team if we can assist with anything else in the meantime - customerservice@freedomsolarpower.com.

Freedom Solar Power Company Information