2. Solar Energy

SunLux Energy

SunLux Energy
Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.64/5

Sunlux is a solar energy provider that focuses on helping residents and businesses in Southern California find solar energy solutions that best fit their needs. Sunlux's advisors ensure customers are informed about solar products and the benefits of switching to solar. The company offers residential and commercial services with the option of owning or leasing.

Josip Benko Gallery (6)

BOTTOM LINE

Sunlux's low-profile solar panels blend into roofing. Although prep time can be long, the company's customers enjoy high-quality solar installation. The solar panels include lifetime support and warranties.

PROS

• Lifetime support and warranty
  • All equipment guaranteed
  • Modern, sleek designs

CONS

• High upfront costs

Top SunLux Energy Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Josip Benko?

Getting started was super easy, and once the black panels were installed, they looked amazing and blended right into our black roof. Danielle was a fantastic project manager and was super responsive, informative, and had excellent follow-up.

I have had nothing but a great experience with Sunlux. The system looks awesome and is working great. Everyone I have dealt with throughout this process has been fantastic. The communication has been perfect.

SunLux Energy Get Started

What does Sunlux do?

Sunlux designs customized solar energy systems to ensure they fit its customers' needs. Sunlux's systems consist of solar panels, solar inverters and batteries. The company takes pride in its partnerships with Tesla, Panasonic and LG, which lets it build quality systems from quality materials. Sunlux provides cost-efficient, renewable energy sources, and customers can expect excellent engineering and professional installation. Sunlux also provides a handy savings calculator that estimates immediate and lifetime savings, which helps customers make educated financing decisions.

Sunlux costs

Sunlux prices range from $24,900 to $35,000. Costs vary depending on the size of your roof and whether you purchase, finance, lease or prepay for your solar panels. If you decide to purchase, a $1,000 deposit gets the process started, and the remaining cost is due after the company installs your solar power system.

Sunlux regularly coordinates with clients to find loan options, working with partners such as Dividend and the Energy Loan Network. Federal tax credits are also available to lower construction costs.

Sunlux installation

Sunlux solar installation only takes one or two days, but the prep time can take up to six weeks.

1. The installation process starts with a visit to the location, where specialists survey for challenges and measure the available space.
  2. Within the following week, Sunlux designers draft a plan that matches the customer's desired aesthetic and efficiency.
  3. The company then applies for permits. Permit approval may take up to a month.
  4. Once the permits arrive, the company begins installing your solar energy system.
  5. Crews install mounts and wiring first and then attach panels on the roof.
  6. Once finished, the system must pass a brief legal inspection. Then, energy production can begin.

Sunlux warranty

Sunlux offers a 25-year warranty, which is long by industry standards. The warranty covers the panels, performance, maintenance, installation and parts. The company also guarantees energy production, which lets customers know the system will continue to produce the desired amount of energy. Sunlux also includes monitoring, which lets customers check on the performance of their solar power system.

Sunlux FAQ

What kind of solar panels are available from Sunlux?
Sunlux uses solar panels from Panasonic, LG and Q CELLS. The company carries a range of sizes and looks with distinct features to meet customers' needs. For example:
  • The 320 LG NeON 2 is designed to be less noticeable and has a monochromatic appearance and thin dimensions.
  • Panasonic's N320K Photovoltaic Module HIT BLACK has specific drainage features and may be ideal for rainy areas.
Where is Sunlux available?
Sunlux is available in California, including Los Angeles, Irvine, Rancho Santa Margarita, Bakersfield, Valencia and San Diego, and in parts of Texas.
Does Sunlux offer energy monitoring?
Yes, Sunlux continuously monitors all systems. This monitoring allows for professional problem resolution as soon as possible.
Does Sunlux provide energy storage?
Yes, you can add solar batteries to a solar system. Batteries provide off-grid power and can be used in a power outage or all the time. Sunlux uses Tesla, LG and Enphase battery systems.

Is Sunlux worth it?

Yes, Sunlux is worth it. Sunlux creates a customized, all-encompassing service for those interested in solar and looking for a start-to-finish installation. The company has high-quality options that are made to order for each home, and it provides warrantied systems at accessible prices. Sunlux's financing, leasing and prepay options fit diverse budgets and make it possible for nearly anyone to save on energy by using renewable resources.

SunLux Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunLux Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Josip Benko?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

We've been considering going solar for quite a while and our monthly energy cost was increasing with time. And we're getting up there in age and we just needed to keep the house a little cooler in the summer. And it was costing us too much, so we started looking around, and I found SunLux. SunLux was the second and we decided to go with them immediately.

The representatives that I worked with from SunLux were amazing. I don't think the average person knows a whole lot about solar, but when you decide to go that direction, you're getting the important questions and answers. And the SunLux reps were very thorough. They came out the house and they took measurements, and they made recommendations of how many panels are needed based on the size of the roof. They took copies of the last 12 electric bills. And they analyzed all that and they came back with a proposal, and it was really very professional. They were very kind and thoughtful and guide us through the whole process.

I’ve talked to Ryan frequently about some other things because I referred several other people to them as well. He was the rep I worked most closely with. SunLux made us very comfortable. We were apprehensive about something new and different. We had concerns about the roof, we had concerns about whether to lease, to buy, who would pay for the maintenance, and all those kinds of things. And they were very thorough and covered all the questions that we had. In the end, we were very comfortable and anxious to get the process moving.

I made a couple suggestions to them about how they could expand their business, for example, opening up some solar farms out in some vacant desert property. There’s been a lot of them out in the Victorville-Atlanta area of the desert. So I suggested that to them, so they're looking into that. I also suggested that they add solar to the church that I belong to. And they're dealing with their staff now in trying to determine how best that can work. So, I have some suggestions for them in addition to just a residential recommendation.

Ryan was the initial person who gave us the quote, sat down with us and explained the whole process. But then, there are several other layers of administration that have to take place, one of which is financing, one of which is installation, one of which is the general corporate structure. And we were very happy with all of those. They were all very efficient and did a really wonderful job.

Sunrun is the financial arm of the company. SunLux is the umbrella company. And then, they have the installation arm, they have the finance arm, they have the administration arm, and the sales arm. From what I have experienced, that looks like the four facets of their business. And the Sunrun part of it came up with a very reasonable cost and a 20-year lease. They gave us three different options which were to purchase outright, purchase over time, and lease over 20 years. So, we decided on the lease. And the lease is transferrable. So the new buyers could just assume the same lease. They don't have to renegotiate, which is gonna be a real advantage to somebody. We thought that was a very good feature. And whenever we try to sell or our kids try to sell, it's gonna be a feature that will be a selling point.

I have referred SunLux to several friends. The most recent was just installed about a week ago, and they're waiting out for Southern California, have somebody come out and give the final approval before they go live. SunLux offers a program for referral and for the first one I referred, which was probably six months ago, they sent a check.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

We have one option for electricity in California and it's not an equitable program. We also had a family member up in the high desert where they were allowed a lot more electricity before their rates went above baseline. We're kind of a captive audience for going solar and I also liked the pricing that they have for it if you use any. Plus, we were basically sweating in the house before we turn the air on because we didn't want a $400 or $500 bill.

So, we looked into a program, a PPA, and they went and looked at the roof, said that we needed new paper, and wanted to charge us three grand to repaper that section. At the time, I had been speaking with the rep from SunLux and he would explain the difference in their program to purchase and the whole idea of having a full 20 to 25-year complete system warranty instead of just the panels. That was a big deal because I didn't wanna have a system that was gonna fail at 11 years when the 10 year warranty went out. Since the warranty was so much longer with their full system warranty, that was really the big indicator that that would be the best option. That's peace of mind big time.

Everything was good with SunLux. But there was one time when I was having a little trouble getting ahold of somebody and it turned out that that somebody had gone on vacation for a week. So, I had to reach out to somebody else, but everything else was easy. There was one little booboo when they were up in the attic though. They stepped on a drywall and pushed it down a little tiny bit. But I called and the next day they were out and they fixed it. And it looked like it never happened. Accidents happen, but they took care of it quickly. They matched the paint of it, too and it was impressive. So, I was very happy. I tell everybody about them and I post good reviews everywhere I could because I was extremely pleased with how everything turned out.

One of the reasons I tell everybody about them is because when they came in, they said they expected the installation to take about a day, but it ended up taking two days. At the end of the first day, one of them apologized that it took too long because they ended up replacing that same felt paper on the roof from the other company. They actually went ahead and took half the roof apart, repapered the roof, replaced some of the damaged tiles, and they never sent me a bill. All they did was apologize that it took longer. So, in my opinion, they went way above and beyond.

I've been using solar energy for two years now but I'm still tied to the grid. Besides from that, I don't have to worry about being comfortable in the house anymore. I can run the air conditioning and the good thing is that over the course of the year and during the spring months and fall months that we're not really using much, we build up a credit because we're producing more than we use. And with the time of use plan that we're on, during the time when we're generating most energy, and a lot of time we're not using any electricity, just generating, we sell high to Edison. Then we buy low during the nighttime because the rates go lower in the nighttime. So, that's pretty sweet.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

My experience with SunLux has been very good. But during the installation, there was a hiccup between me and the office. The installers came in at a not so lucky day. It was raining and they had to postpone, and that took a little bit longer. But it wasn't their fault. It was just the timing was not working with the weather. Then on the inspection process, they have a little bit of a hiccup. They had to reschedule the inspection, which caused a little bit of a delay. They need to improve a little bit on the inspection process. It has got to be right the first time and make sure everybody follows the procedure and the requirements from the inspection process. I understand all the hassle on the inspection, but they need to learn from it and prepare everything, even simple things that you won't think of but has caused a headache or mistakes that have caused a delay.

When the installation was finished and the SunLux rep asked me to make a final payment, the system wouldn’t work at the time after the completion. As a customer, I didn't know what was going on and I got to make sure the product was working before I would make a final payment. But they didn't explain to me that this type of solar system is different. The energy provider has to speak up and start to permit the operation before it works. So, if they explained to me all that, it would be easy for me to give them the final payment and I would wait for the activation and all the permission from the energy provider, and I would have the system working. But everything’s okay after that. With SunLux, I see the benefits of the tax credit and that it will be a very good investment. SunLux is the best choice of all the other company that I've looked at. And so far, the performance of the system is very well.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Initially, I was concerned about SunLux's service because after looking at their reviews, they don't really have a good presence in Northern California. At that time, I had hooked up with EnergySage and I had an advisor there who was helpful. I had also talked to a number of people in the neighborhood who had gotten solar and none of them had gone with SunLux. SunLux wasn't the cheapest either. Still, between those customer reviews, EnergySage, my own research and the price, I had the greatest confidence in SunLux. They have Panasonic panels and these are the top solar panels in the market.

I went with them and they had a bit of a challenge with the installation. They had to redesign and then there was a delay. Also, once they were here to do the installation, there were some things that were left undone. I didn’t get an explanation for that until I called. Even so, when their reps explained the situation to me, I understood. Their follow up with their customer service rep thereafter was good too. He answered my questions.

Additionally, SunLux's reps worked with me on what percentage of my bill I wanted to get rid of. I wanted to get rid of all my electrical cost. I wanted it to be just a little over 100% ‘cause I didn’t know if we needed more than that. The first time they came back to me, they came back to me with two more panels than I thought I needed. I questioned them about it because it was coming in at 115% of what was needed. After I questioned them, they reduced it to about 105%, which is fine.

However, there were a couple of things that were never discussed in the process. Nothing was ever discussed about cleaning the solar panels. After the first month, my production went down over 10% and it was because there was dust and dirt on my solar panels. When I cleaned the panels, I just sprayed them off, then the production picked up. I was disappointed that there wasn’t any discussion at all about the pros and cons of cleaning those panels, and better yet, how I should clean them. When I called SunLux, their customer service person said that they didn’t think the panels needed to be cleaned. They wouldn’t recommend using any type of product like using something that would actually wash the windows.

Original review: June 24, 2020

I'm glad I didn't give up on my solar project because I almost did. Back in 2019, I was ready to move ahead with the project and went to Energysage.com get quotes. I've had over 10 quotes and I actually even signed up with another installer at the time (not SunLux) and started the project. Then shortly after the project started I was told they discovered my roof had issues so the project was cancelled. I cancelled in part 1) the installer didn't do roofing and I didn't want to deal with multiple contractors and 2) the unexpected cost in the project. And apparently, the installer wasn't too excited about either, it seem. I guess most installers out there just want the easy installs but that's not the real world out there.

I all but had given up. Then 6 months later I decided I give it another try and recalled Sunlux had given me a quote prior but never follow on it. Explained my situation to Tracy, my Sunlux consultant and he said my roof is certainly not an issue. He was very responsive to my needs, customized a system that I want and even had a great suggestion on the panel placement. How it looks is as important as the power.

So with contract signed, this is typically where most solar project fall apart (right?) and this is what I heard from my neighbors with their solar project from a different installer. Nope, not with Sunlux. The project moved quickly and it stayed that way. I got coordinated with the project manager Jennifer and she made sure all my concerns were addressed. Even with Covid, the project took no more than 3 months and the bulk of the wait is with permitting. Very happy with the overall install experience, pricing, and service. If you have a roof issue like mine I highly recommend you give Sunlux a try. Highly recommended!

Original review: June 19, 2020

We have had our solar with Sunlux for 8 months now. We are extremely happy with the solar production and customer service. Everybody I've talked to has been very helpful, patient and knowledgeable. Solar is a huge investment and I feel good knowing that Sunlux will be there for us for the long haul.

Original review: June 9, 2020

We just had installation completed and couldn't be happier! Sunlux was patient while we decided on what financing we want to use. Everyone we dealt with was professional, helpful and friendly. The installation was seamless. I would recommend them to anyone!

Original review: May 19, 2020

The project manager did a great job. The panels are in a good area and in a good position with the direct sun. I’m still looking at the cost because it’s been roughly a couple of months. But so far, so good. I think it’s gonna work out great. I'm very happy.

Original review: May 17, 2020

I did research and found that SunLux has good Panasonic panels. I called them up to see what proposal they could provide and liked what I heard. There were delays beyond the control of SunLux but they were responsive. Their staff followed up with emails and had good communication. We did both our panels and our roof through them and financed the roofing part. The manager who handled us, Jennifer, was very good. I also dealt with Mike from SunLux and he was very good as well.

Original review: May 16, 2020

The SunLux products were a little bit more than some of their competitors but I was okay with that knowing some of the other pluses. I wanted to go solar because of the environment and then the cost-savings. Also, a friend of mine touted the extra warranty stuff that SunLux had that other people didn’t have. The project is done. We paid outright. But the handymen who came to do a lot of the clean-up work and modifications failed to finish it. They had to move our panel box and they had to redo some stucco but they just haphazardly did it. They were super quick to get out of there. I had to constantly follow up with SunLux. But as far as the customer service reps, they were great. The actual panels are fine and everything works great. Overall, we're happy.

SunLux Energy Company Information