4.80/5
Based on 177 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

SunLux is a solar energy provider that provides a variety of options in order to help you find one that best fits your needs. At SunLux, we make sure that you are well informed about the products and its benefits and we let you decide when you are ready. We offer residential and commercial services with the option of owning or leasing the product. Call us today to learn more about how SunLux can help you start saving money!

ABBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 19, 2018

189 SunLux Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 19, 2018

I wanted to go for solar energy to cut down on my electric bill cost. I reached out to SunLux and they have very good rating. They were very, professional, straightforward and explained the process. Their rep, Ben, presented the project to me upfront -- what I will pick to get it done and as far the process they coordinate all the paperwork with the city, like the permits and the upfront cost of going through their lender so I don't have to worry about all that stuff.

They call and follow up and provide me what I need to know like when the people were coming out, the timeline and schedule. It was precise and clear. We financed the panels and we looked for long run in terms of the system outright to us after 15 years loan. We looked at the competitor or current electric bill versus paying the loan and have a big favor for us. They provided me the information through the application sent to as far as getting the loan from various lender. So basically I don't have to do much at all. They provide the lender and we just fill out the application, the PDF document via internet. That process is very painless. We didn't have to go any office basically. We just sent the document through from the lender and it was quick.

When they received the panel and the city approved they came in and did the installation within a day and a half or two days. And they repaired any roof tile damage within that time line. It went pretty well and we were happy with it. The project manager who handled our installation process also did very well. She kept me up to date and followed up what was my satisfaction on the project. I told her I was very satisfied. And I called to follow up a couple of things which came different as I expected. They looked at it and they fixed it. It was very, very good and it transitioned very well.

It was a good dea cost-wise. I looked at a couple options, three options, leasing and different place and they came out -- they are competitive and I'm very happy with it. They explained to me what I'll be paying to the Edison maybe like $10 a month roughly. And so far pretty much in line with what they explain to me. I recommend them. I provided the name to the representative and he went and spoke with my neighbor.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 18, 2018

I considered getting solar energy to mitigate the rising cost and SunLux offered the best deal in terms of pricing and service. I saw their reps at Costco and I sent them a request and they basically came by, gave me a quote that made sense and we went from there. I was very impressed by Fernando's knowledge about the process. He was very upfront and I had quotes done prior where companies came in with one pricing and then they try to up charge on certain items and I told them I was not going to do it if they do the same thing to me. And he said not to worry and they'll take care of it.

I said, "Just keep in mind if you change later on during install I'm going to pull my order." And so he understood and paid exactly what I signed up for. I leased the panels and that was part of my deal that I wanted to have nothing out of pocket and this way company Sunrun owns the equipment they maintain it. My system's up and running and I've been monitoring the production and it's pretty good. The project manager was right on top. Every time I called she was able to answer my questions.

I didn't know that the installation crew were going to install the monitoring equipment on the outside of the house and I had them change it on the fly and they did. They took care of it at that time and resubmitted the permits. And I like the cost of the service. It has dropped hopefully as summer approaches here in Southern California, I'll find out what the actual impact is but so far so good. SunLux took care of the whole transaction. It was pretty painless and I would highly recommend them.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I went solar for the savings, and SunLux Energy was less expensive than the other providers so I went with them. The reps were very good on the initial part of the follow through, but on the second half of the installation, the communication faltered. My installation experience was okay but it wasn't installed as agreed upon. The installers ran wiring that wasn't supposed to be run on the roof when they had told me it would be done inside the attic. So, that was disappointing. They didn't resolve it and just said that they made a mistake. I've only had SunLux a few months, and I'm kind of torn whether or not I would tell a friend about them. I probably wouldn't at this point.

Original review: April 6, 2018

The solar install was done nicely. Aesthetically pleasing. Installed in a timely manner. Service reps were great and friendly. The service response times were timely. They did a clean and thorough job. I would recommend them to install solar to anyone.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Our electric bill was so high and we heard a lot of people that we knew who went with SunMaxx and SolarMax. And SunLux was fantastic. We financed the panels. Everybody that we dealt with was awesome and it's the best experience I've ever had in my life. Everything from start to finish was excellent. Our electric bill used to run from $300 to $700 a month during the summer times. Last month, it was $15 and $18 the month before. It's unbelievable. Every time someone mentions solar, I tell them about SunLux.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunlux?

Original review: April 4, 2018

Solar energy is a better choice and is cleaner. I was getting a hold of bunch of companies and the rep of SunLux was a lot better and they gave me the best price for my buck. Every time I text the rep he texts me back. He's professional at all times. I financed my solar panel. I didn't want to lease because I don't want the buyers to be turned off because I have something that I'm leasing that they might not want and they have to take responsibility.

The kind of people during the installation were professional. They did it within a day so I was happy. The only thing I don't like is an app where I can monitor my solar panels. I wished there was an easier way because they send me an email and I got to link the email instead of telling me, "Hey, you know what? We have an app and this app will let you monitor your solar panels from wherever you're at." But the cost of the service is affordable.

Original review: April 3, 2018

We had a good feeling towards SunLux. I researched a lot of the product myself and a lot of companies couldn't give me the items that I wanted and only two companies were able to do it. And I was able to find the most efficient product available. I dealt with the company's engineering department and pulling the permits they were dealing with the electric company. The electricians that came out pulled all the wiring in the outside be'cause the house was already built. And I have a custom house and they were willing to do the extra mile. We even put a new circuit board. Their electrical department and the electricians did an awesome job because it was not only solar that they did. We also set it up so I can put in a swimming pool electric and a spa

Original review: April 2, 2018

The entire process from initial contact to the final install and activation of the system was professional and done extremely well. Everyone we dealt with was courteous and helpful. All work was done very well and completed in one day. The panels look great. Super clean appearance with nothing showing on our roof except the panels. I definitely recommend SUNLUX.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I was trying to save a little bit of money with the electricity bills and SunLux was the only company that came with the idea to have the solar panels on the ground. And since the panels were going to be on my property and everything that's in my property, I like to own, I financed them. SunLux ran my credit and after that I was approved for it. But it took them a little more than two months from the time I got approved to get the panels done so I could start using them. They took longer than I was expecting but in the end, they got it together and I'm happy with them. I noticed changes in my electricity bill right away and until now, the cost of the service looks good to me. I've had them for five months and it works fine. I like SunLux and I would tell others to do it.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 1, 2018

Everything went fine during the installation and the solar panels have been up and running for less than a month. I leased it because SunLux would take care of everything if it goes wrong. I had been trying to go solar to get my cost down but it hasn't been financially effective for me. I was quoted a price that I was willing to go with but when I got my bill, it was a completely other price. The initial guy said my bill was going to be $33 a month and it was not going to change. But I came to find out that my bill is $83 and it goes up by $100 every year. If I would've known all that, I wouldn't have done it. Before going solar, my bill was running about $100-120 a month though, and it looks like everything came down. Still, I wrote a letter to SunLux's corporate office but it's been two weeks now that I've been waiting for them to say something or to get a letter from them, and I haven't. That's another thing that pisses me off.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I was about to try another company but my neighbor told me about SunLux Energy so I decided to go with them instead. They did a great job in installing the panel. The rep told me that the panel would produce over 10,000 of energy a year but it produced only a 100. It's way too low. Something's wrong with the panel and they have to come check it out. I called them twice and the rep haven't returned my call yet.

Original review: March 30, 2018

The SunLux representative that came over explained to me all the factors. He was a very nice person and I had a very good experience with him. They took a little bit to install the panel because of a permit from the city. But after that, everything went really smoothly.

Original review: March 29, 2018

SunLux Installation Crew was prompt and very efficient with the installation. As well as polite answered all questions I had for them. They had the installation done in 2 days, cleaned up after themselves. I have to say I am very satisfied with their work.

Original review: March 29, 2018

SunLux Energy was very responsive and really good to work with. We had a nice time with them. We wanted to save money and a different environment. When I went online, there was something that was asking if I was interested in solar energy. So I filled out some type of online form. And then, unfortunately, I got millions of calls from different companies. And so, SunLux must have been one of the companies that called and then they came over and shared what they offered and then we went with them. They have a personable representative and reasonable price. We had two that presented to us and theirs was lower.

Their representative came over to explain the process of how it works, the amount, the different options for installing and the different plans they had. And then we talked about it. Once we signed up on it, they just told us when they'd be coming to install stuff. And they walked us through the process of installation. Then they turned it on for us. The installation was fast. We're leasing the panels as we were not planning on staying in our house for a long long time. It wouldn't be worthwhile for us to purchase them.

Original review: March 29, 2018

SunLux is absolutely wonderful. We'd been looking at it for years and basically with them we didn’t have to spend a huge amount of money that was out of pocket. They came to our door. They were canvassing our neighborhood and we had them come in. We listened to them and came to appreciate what they had to say and went their direction. The representative was great because he answered our question. He didn’t try to upsell us or just try to sell us something we didn’t need or didn’t want. He was very, very careful to answer our questions so that we understood them.

The solar panels were leased for like 25 years but they stay with the house and whatever the time period is, when it's over, they belong to the house. When they gave us an installation date they were here on that date. The installers were clean and tidy. They just knew what they had to do, got it done, asked us if we had any questions and off they went.

And then a couple days later they had to come out and inspect everything and they were with the inspector of the city when they came. And they gave us a site plan in terms of what they would look like on the roof of our house so we would know where they would be and what it would be like when they got finished. The cost of the service is less than I'm paying on my electric bill or was paying on my electric bill so it saves me out-of-pocket about $75 a month. I already recommended somebody and my next door neighbor bought it. I hope they don't change what they do. And when I called because we had some extra questions that we weren’t quite clear on, Bryan of SunLux came out. My neighbor came over, sat and listened to what he explained to us a second time to answer any questions. It's a 20-year service and obviously if there's a credit at the end of each month then we get money back from Edison. But it's called a 20-year program. It is what I appreciated.

I had people in here so they explained to me what they do. I don't understand their pricing structure. This company before they left here made sure you understood their pricing structure and how it worked, and why at the end of 20 years it belongs to you. But all the service SunLux gives and so on are amazing. And they call back to see if everything's okay, am I happy, and if there's anything else they can do.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Using solar energy sounded like a good deal. I could probably save a little bit each month even though I am leasing my solar panels. I wasn't going to put out that much money to own it. And SunLux worked with me and the appropriate application processes went very smoothly. There were a few reps that I worked with, and I felt they were very knowledgeable. Everything got done when they said it would. I watched the installers put the panels up. And all the installation for the most part of the exterior got done in the day. There were a couple of guys that I talked with when they were putting in the interior instruments and they were very knowledgeable and knew what they were doing. I'm pleased with the products.

I'm not too happy right now because I can't get anything to work on the computer. I had a password and now, it doesn't work. So, I haven't done anything for the last couple of months because it was too frustrating. But I haven’t called anybody yet. I just like to be able to access what's going on and how much I'm saving and what the thing's doing.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I just recently had solar installed in my home. After doing my due diligence and looking at 6 companies over the past year and half, I decided the best company to do my solar was SunLux. Their people were terrific to work with. No glitches and nothing but a positive experience. They have the best warranty anywhere and their price was equal to all the others I interviewed... except that warranty which was a great selling point. They still call and check on me which is a great way to follow through on all your customers. Not many companies would do this… only the great ones. No one would go wrong with this company!

Original review: March 27, 2018

My husband researched on what we were paying for our power over the past year and having talked to the representative, who was telling us what we would be paying monthly for the next 20 years with the fact that regular electricity is going to go up every year and this would not be, he decided that it would be a better thing to do. With SunLux, we're not leasing nor purchasing but simply paying a set amount every month for the next 20 years and there was no financial output to us at all.

The rep was very personable and nice. After he left, we had some questions so we called him back. He happily came back, sat down with us again and went over the stuff with us so it was a good experience. During the installation, they were here for two days and it was easy. They finished up and did what they were going to do. It has rained many times since then and we have had no leaks. But we had a county inspection and their box was in the wrong place. They were notified, they came back out and they moved their box to where the inspector wanted it to be. If we've got sunshine, we can go out and see that we're making electricity and I don't have any problems with it. They’re not going to make as much electricity in the winter as in the summer because there will be days where they might not make any at all but as far as the process, it seems to be working well for us.

Original review: March 26, 2018

We have solar on our other house and we found it beneficial by reducing the bills. Due to the cost and timing, we decided to lease the panels this time. SunLux Energy's rep was fine but when the city inspector came out we had an issue but not on SunLux's end. The installation was quick and clean. We referred SunLux to a few other people in our community.

Original review: March 25, 2018

The sales guy was great and didn’t waste my time. He got the job done, which is awesome. And SunLux followed up a lot. The installers were courteous and they worked well too. We have crazy winds where I live and we had one windy day where I tried to call them off and they showed up but then they realized that it was a windy day. So they all packed and left and then they called at least four days ahead of time saying, “Hey. We're going to come back out.” They made sure it was okay to show up. And then they came, and took care of the place. They cleaned it after themselves. They got the job done, so that’s good.

The system seemed like it is working. But I just got an email saying the official bill starts June 15th. It seemed odd that it’s going to take months before I see any savings. I have been meaning to call the company directly to see what’s going on that. Other than that, they're great. I have that two reports already. I think based on 15 days that I’ve seen the last report on them, it’s saving energy so that’s a good thing. And it is quite a big winner right now so I’m assuming it’ll be much better in the summertime. So as long as it can maintain that for a while, I guess we'll be good.

I recommend SunLux. The electricity bill continues to rise and I don't see that changing. I felt like I was almost forced to go with some kind of service. I did some shopping around and there was a good referral about Sunlux on one of the radio stations that I listen to a lot, and their leasing program was something that I like. Leasing the solar panels was easy because of no money down.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I had a really good experience with the sales guy and the contractor did a fantastic job. I'm satisfied with the set-up process. I have another solar system in Riverside County and I got a contract on that for 30 years. But if I would have known beforehand, I would have bought it like I’m buying SunLux. Also, the rep told me I will have a credit at the end of the year that they’re going to charge me. So if $9 was left for that month, and I have a credit of 50 something, I pay them that balance that I have instead of just waiting for that credit to get lower and lower, so I have money at the end of the year so I can pay them. I would recommend SunLux.

Original review: March 24, 2018

Truly, truly, truly a person of their word. This is an older house on a hill; requiring a new main electrical panel, coordination with Edison because our old service line from Edison had been damaged in an earthquake plus TWO permits with the City. Many salesmen from Solar City, SUNrun and Horizon wasted 6-8 months of my time and could not put it together. SUNLUX promised they do everything IN-HOUSE so they could relocate and install the new main electrical panel, coordinate with Edison as Edison relocated the new underground service and complete City permits to MY total satisfaction -- AND THEY DID. Oh yes -- they also installed a fantastic 9.012 kW system just the way I wanted it. The arrows on Edison’s electrical meter are now pointing to the left (back to Edison) -- Very Cool and I don’t have to worry about the IRS this year also Very Cool. Truly, truly, truly a person of their word. Thanks to you ALL at SUNLUX.

Original review: March 24, 2018

My bill wasn’t crazy during the winter. But during the summer, there was more usage of electricity with how hot it is and I have a pool, and my mom lives with me who stays home all day. I was looking to try and get a lower bill. And since I was doing some remodels on the house, I decided to get some info on solar because a couple of my friends have it. One of my friends has SunLux and one of them has SolarMax. I've heard about SunLux and I know they were a newer company. I wanted to get some info so I called them if they could come out and give me an estimate. I was also getting a couple of different quotes but after talking to everybody, SunLux seemed very helpful and knowledgeable. I felt like they were willing to go the extra mile for me.

They sent out Ralf, who was the first guy I talked to about it. He basically talked to me through everything and answered any questions that I had about the different options if I would purchase it all outright, which was what I was leaning towards because I had pulled out money to do some repairs. He talked to me about the benefits if I buy it outright or if I lease it. And then he talked to me about what electricity I use and when I use it and how beneficial solar can be. He said to me, “Basically, we kind of build a system we’re going to go through. We’re going to check out all your surrounding areas, what trees you have and your neighbors’ trees are, where it would shade and where the best place in your roof is going to be, and everything.”

He set up an appointment to come back and talk to me about it and showed me a set-up of what it would look like on the roof and how much it would produce to help cover the bill and if I use more at certain times, I’ll probably still have to pay. But in the wintertime, if I would use less, that balances out over the year. So after all the interactions with him, I got an email from the CEO of the company, Joe, and he told me to call him directly if I have other questions that Ralf wasn’t able to answer or any questions developed afterward. He went out of his way to offer any questions that he would answer himself.

Installation was all very easy and everything was done perfectly. Once the city came out and approved it, I was up and running with no problems. I felt like they were a very good price compared to every other solar company that was out there. Now that I have solar, I started paying attention more to houses that already had it. I never paid much attention before but now, I look in detail how they’re installed and where it’s all at and I like how mine looks than some of the other ones. I’m very happy with it. I already got my first bill and it was lower, but I’ve realized that’s because I don’t have pools running right now because we’re getting that worked on. So, I can’t really take that into consideration yet because the pool pump normally is running half a day. But so far, I'm happy with SunLux. We'll see once they get the pool running again.

Original review: March 23, 2018

Great service and communication every step of the process of installation and after. Great warranty. Warranty is best in the industry. Financing was very easy. Great communication with quote person. Then the finance people. Project manager stayed in contact every step of the way. Installation was quick with no mess. Follow up with how to use my phone app to monitor system was complete.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: March 23, 2018

Going solar energy sounded like a good idea. I called around and no one wanted to do it for free. They want to do a lock it in or buying it. SunLux, on the other hand, did not cost me anything to do it, and they took care of maintaining them. I got it down to $80 a month, which is a good thing. It is better than paying $120, $140 or even $300 in the summertime, which is a lot. So, that is going to work on in the Summertime.

However, our experience with SunLux Energy was not too good. They missed the inspector's date, and it took them a week to catch up with him. And when they came out here, they did not have it right. The inspector did not pass it. It's been dragging their feet a little bit and not saying what was going on. In the meantime, I'm paying $153 for my electric bill and I'm paying them on top of it. So, they said they'd mixed them up and they had done nothing. It costs two months of the electric bill, where I paid a whole $150 both month. Two weeks ago, I contacted them about it and they said, "We will see what we can do", and I haven't got a word. They keep sending my bill every month.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I kept getting this calls from all these companies and they're saying the solar energy was free and that it would help me save money but I don’t think it’s really helping to save money because I have to go off the energy. And then I got a tax bill from the county assessor. It sounds like the tax people wanted to increase my taxes because I have an improvement on my house. They wanted to know how many square inches were involved and how much I paid for it and I said I didn't pay anything for it and that it was a lease program. I printed down a diagram of the roof and all the contract. I mailed it probably four or five days ago and I haven’t heard anything from the tax people.

The process of going through leasing the panels was okay. But it was longer than I thought. And I would have to stay home sometimes. Three or four guys would come out and then they would do something and would come back. They had a problem installing the electrical part. One time they said I can go out, that it was okay to go out. And at the last minute, they said, “No. We need you to fill this out or make a decision on such…” But I waited a long time one morning and I was told that would be the very last time because they had a problem. I think it was something about my house. The plan wasn’t right for establishing where the controls would go. It was supposed to be inside the garage and then it was outside the gate. And then it was inside the gate, and that’s where it is now. They had a problem installing on the side door. They had to change their plans for some reason.

The project manager was nice and it was mostly good with SunLux except that at the end, I wasn’t sure what was going on. They said an inspector was coming out, but I never did see an inspector. And before they did the installation, somebody counted the number of tiles that were cracked. I asked them about that and they said, “Oh, we don’t get involved in that. Oh, don’t worry about it.” I don’t remember anybody going up to repair any cracked tiles. And they said, “They’ll be more crack when we get through because it’s a lot of walking around up there.” There are things that’s probably beyond their control and if one person promises something and the other person doesn’t know it’s been promised, like about the cracked tiles, you don’t know who to blame.

I have told good things about SunLux to other people. I have a neighbor and we’re having a conversation about all these phone calls from people. And I said I got SunLux and it didn’t cost me anything. She was interested in it and I said, “Well, I would recommend them. They are advertising a lot and they have a good reputation."

Original review: March 22, 2018

Our electric bills were terribly high. SunLux was what the gas company sent out and they had a very good rep. He explained things to me like how it works so I was impressed. Overall, everything went smoothly and they were very nice. I'd recommend SunLux.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I got about two quotes from different providers and the SunLux seemed to be the ideal choice. It was a good deal and I needed to save money by using the solar power. Their service is great, all aspects of it. The people that came and set up the system were really good people and easy to work with too. I'd tell my friends asking about SunLux that it's a good offset.

Original review: March 20, 2018

This experience with a solar company was much better than the numerous companies I have dealt with for estimates. They provide excellent sales staff and have the best guarantee in my county. Supervisors kept in contact with me throughout the process.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Our electrical bill was way too high. We decided to go solar and so far, we've been with SunLux Energy for a few months. They were recommended by SOCAL Edison, our electrical company, that had a site to go where you could type in what you were looking for. SunLux also seemed like they had the best deal so we went with them. The installation went pretty well and for the most part, our experience with them have been pretty good.

We had a couple of issues where they had broken some tiles and a skylight. At first, they didn't tell me that they fixed the tiles so I called the company to let them know about it. So there was a little communication error there that could have been handled a little bit better. And when they came back out to fix the skylight, they brought the wrong size, so it took them a while to fix that. Also, they were a no show for our first meeting but they made up for it by giving us an iPod and a Nest. Then the Nest ended up being bad and I haven't even heard from them about replacing that yet. Other than that, their cost is good and the same as everybody else's. In fact, going with them is better than going to SolarCity or somebody else like that. They're a good company, but I would tell my friends to research other ones.

Sunlux expert review by Zachary Shahan

SunLux Energy has over 20 years of experience in installing quality solar energy systems and components. Understanding switching to renewable solar energy can be expensive, It focuses on helping consumers save money but pinpointing their properties exact energy needs. Whether you’re a homeowner wanting to make the switch to renewable energy or a Californian commercial property or business owner, SunLux Energy will work with you to develop a system to meet your properties needs.

• Installation process: Upon signing a contract, SunLux will do a site evaluation, measuring your roof and conduct a shading study. Once the evaluation is complete, its team of engineers will design a system that fits your property and send it to you for approval. They will handle all permits that are needed through your city and once the proper permits are obtained, they will install your system. Finally, SunLux will do a final inspection with the city manager to check for proper installation.

• Leasing options: SunLux Energy partners with solar leasing programs and offers leasing options for people paying over $100 per month on their energy bills. Its customers who use a leasing program save over 30% on their energy bills and an average of $500 by the end of the first year.

• Financing options: SunLux Energy partners with finance companies to offer financing for its energy systems. No down payment is required and you can choose between 5- to 25-year terms. Additionally, financing your system earns you a 30-percent tax credit and allows you to own your own solar panels, which has an average return on investment of 20 percent.

• Commercial project development: SunLux Energy works with commercial clients in the state of California to maximize energy savings and return on investment. Its engineers work with your company during the design phase to develop a customized energy solutions for your business.

• Qualification: Interested customers can visit the SunLux website and fill out a form with their basic information and the amount of their average electric bill to see if they qualify to switch to solar energy.

• Best for: individual property owners looking for a customized solar energy solution.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan

Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

SunLux Energy Company Information