2. Solar Energy
Accredited Partner

Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.39/5

Sunlux is a solar energy company that specializes in full-service panel installation, including re-roofing and shingle projects. Customers work directly with a Sunlux advisor to customize their system. The company serves residents in Southern California and Central Texas.

SunLux Energy Gallery (6)

BOTTOM LINE

Sunlux's low-profile solar panels blend into a roof. Though prep time can be long, customers are generally pleased with their solar installations. The company provides a comprehensive 25-year warranty and lifetime support.

PROS

• Variety of equipment options
  • 25-year performance guarantee
  • Modern, sleek designs

CONS

• Limited availability
  • Not ideal for small installations

Top SunLux Energy Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunLux Energy?

I took bids from four other companies and I thought SunLux' salesman was professional and was persistent with his follow-up. He always had the answers or he came back with the answers, and their quote was competitively priced….

SunLux has the best price from a couple of companies I got a call from. The customer service of SunLux was good. I really didn't have any complaints at all. However, they had a rebate, like a tax break, that I didn't really understand. But besides that, everything went well.

SunLux Energy Get Started

What does Sunlux do?

Sunlux designs customized solar energy systems to ensure they fit its customers' needs. Sunlux's systems consist of solar panels, solar inverters and batteries. The company takes pride in its partnerships with Tesla, Panasonic and LG, which lets it build quality systems from quality materials. Sunlux provides cost-efficient, renewable energy sources, and customers can expect excellent engineering and professional installation. Sunlux also provides a handy savings calculator that estimates immediate and lifetime savings, which helps customers make educated financing decisions.

Sunlux costs

Sunlux prices range from $24,900 to $35,000. Costs vary depending on the size of your roof and whether you purchase, finance, lease or prepay for your solar panels. If you decide to purchase, a $1,000 deposit gets the process started, and the remaining cost is due after the company installs your solar power system.

Sunlux regularly coordinates with clients to find loan options, working with partners such as Dividend and the Energy Loan Network. Federal tax credits are also available to lower construction costs.

Sunlux installation

Sunlux solar installation only takes one or two days, but the prep time can take up to six weeks.

1. The installation process starts with a visit to the location, where specialists survey for challenges and measure the available space.
  2. Within the following week, Sunlux designers draft a plan that matches the customer's desired aesthetic and efficiency.
  3. The company then applies for permits. Permit approval may take up to a month.
  4. Once the permits arrive, the company begins installing the solar energy system.
  5. Crews install mounts and wiring first and then attach panels on the roof.
  6. Once finished, the system must pass a brief legal inspection. Then, energy production can begin.

Sunlux warranty

Sunlux offers a 25-year warranty, which is long by industry standards. The warranty covers the panels, performance, maintenance, installation and parts. The company also guarantees energy production, which lets customers know the system will continue to produce the desired amount of energy. Sunlux also includes monitoring, which lets customers check on the performance of their solar power system.

Sunlux FAQ

What kind of solar panels are available from Sunlux?
Sunlux uses solar panels from Panasonic, LG and Q CELLS. The company carries a range of sizes and looks with distinct features to meet customers' needs. For example:
  • The 320 LG NeON 2 is designed to be less noticeable and has a monochromatic appearance and thin dimensions.
  • Panasonic's N320K Photovoltaic Module HIT BLACK has specific drainage features and may be ideal for rainy areas.
Where is Sunlux available?
Sunlux is available in California, including in Los Angeles, Irvine, Rancho Santa Margarita, Bakersfield, Valencia and San Diego, and in parts of Texas.
Does Sunlux offer energy monitoring?
Yes, Sunlux continuously monitors all systems. This monitoring allows for professional problem resolution as soon as possible.
Does Sunlux provide energy storage?
Yes, you can add solar batteries to a solar system. Batteries provide off-grid power and can be used in a power outage or all the time. Sunlux uses Tesla, LG and Enphase battery systems.

Is Sunlux worth it?

We think SunLux is a great option for those interested in clean, renewable energy. The company comes highly recommended by verified customers in California. Reviewers are generally satisfied with the installation and ongoing production on their systems. Plus, we like that Sunlux's financing, leasing and prepay options fit diverse budgets and can make it easier than ever to go solar.

SunLux Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunLux Energy?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

The customer service with SunLux Energy is outstanding. They're constantly on top of everything. They kept me apprised of every step that was being taken. My project manager, Berlin, was fantastic. What's shocking was that they buy the panels from a distributor and they don't tell you what it is. Once we were into the project, I got a certified letter stating that if SunLux doesn't pay their bill, I'm getting a $14,000 lien put on my house. It never happened because they did pay it but I was very aggressive at first with these people thinking I didn't do business with them. I didn't sign any contracts with them.

After doing a lot of internet research and so forth, I learned that this does happen if companies go belly up. Even though I didn't make any business with the provider of the solar panels, they have a right to put a lien on the property for their merchandise. SunLux provided me the document saying that it was paid in full then they forwarded it directly to the company and I didn't have to do anything further. But it is kind of scary when you're in a contract with a company like this and you get this in the mail, and they don't tell you that this is gonna happen.

The guys that came over were very professional but it took about two months until I went to full production because half my panels were wired incorrectly. They came out once and tried but couldn't figure it out. We had to set another appointment for about three weeks out. Then they sent a crew of two guys. They spent all day and finally found the problem. There was reverse polarity on one of the panels.

Having SunLux, I'm saving a lot of money. My payments for the solar panels might pay the rest of my life for these things but for me, my payments are $170 a month. My average electric and water bill every two months was between 1,100 and 1,600 for a family of three and a swimming pool. The electric portion of it was between 600 and 800. I got air conditioning last year and my bill probably would have been about 1,700 just for electric. Now that we have the solar panels, the most I've paid for electric so far has been $65. It's definitely paying off for me.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 24, 2020

I'm glad I didn't give up on my solar project because I almost did. Back in 2019, I was ready to move ahead with the project and went to Energysage.com get quotes. I've had over 10 quotes and I actually even signed up with another installer at the time (not SunLux) and started the project. Then shortly after the project started I was told they discovered my roof had issues so the project was cancelled. I cancelled in part 1) the installer didn't do roofing and I didn't want to deal with multiple contractors and 2) the unexpected cost in the project. And apparently, the installer wasn't too excited about either, it seem. I guess most installers out there just want the easy installs but that's not the real world out there.

I all but had given up. Then 6 months later I decided I give it another try and recalled Sunlux had given me a quote prior but never follow on it. Explained my situation to Tracy, my Sunlux consultant and he said my roof is certainly not an issue. He was very responsive to my needs, customized a system that I want and even had a great suggestion on the panel placement. How it looks is as important as the power.

So with contract signed, this is typically where most solar project fall apart (right?) and this is what I heard from my neighbors with their solar project from a different installer. Nope, not with Sunlux. The project moved quickly and it stayed that way. I got coordinated with the project manager Jennifer and she made sure all my concerns were addressed. Even with Covid, the project took no more than 3 months and the bulk of the wait is with permitting. Very happy with the overall install experience, pricing, and service. If you have a roof issue like mine I highly recommend you give Sunlux a try. Highly recommended!

Original review: June 20, 2020

The stock market was at 30,000, so we had a little extra money. I happened to get a glance at our electric bill, and I thought it was pretty high. I had been considering solar for a very long time, but it seemed it just got to a point where it was pretty efficient. It made sense that if I waited any longer, I'd be too old to buy. I was talking to SunLux and Sunrun, but it really was a matter of price and salespeople to a certain extent. I was going to go with Sunrun because they were affiliated with Costco, and I thought I'd have some recourse if we had problems. But when we ventured into it, the SunLux salesperson was much more knowledgeable and upfront than the other guy, and then they sweetened the deal by putting in a level 2 plug for electric car charger in my garage.

The whole process took almost two months from the time we’d signed the contract until the time it was turned on. A lot of that delay was waiting for the city to come take a look and sign off. The installation took a day. Solar always seems to make sense. My calculations say that we’ll break even in seven years. So, it's like prepaying your electric bill. It certainly is good for the environment. I'm also fascinated with the technology. In the morning, I wake up, and the first thing I do is go to the application where I can see how much energy we produced so far today.

There was a gal in the office, her name was Berlyn. She was holding my hand as we went through the process with the city, and she kept me up-to-date on exactly what was happening. She would go back and remind them that they hadn't done their job yet and she just communicated perfectly. Then after it was installed, there was another gentleman who called me to make sure everything was going correctly. The support was excellent. Everybody was friendly and knowledgeable.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

From start to finish the Sunlux crew did an amazing job. We would highly recommend Sunlux for your solar needs. During the summer we can run the Air conditioner all the time. Now if only had an electric heater we would be set.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

Hello, back in December Sunrun changed the billing format and the new format does not support all the information needed or that should be a bill. For example a normal bill "should show" all the necessary information like the Billing Period, Solar Production Start Reading, Solar Production End Reading, Solar Electricity Produced in the Month, and the Average Monthly Production! I am very disappointed with the newer billing format because it doesn't show any of this information, and it should! Please revise the billing format to the way it was, previous to December. See image attached of my Nov bill, this is what a bill should look like! Thank you. Rick **, La Mesa, CA.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

SunLux was introduced by my classmate Mr. D. ** who used to be an associate of Sunlux. The whole experiences I had with SunLux was not smooth: 1. Right after I signed the contract, SunLux informed me that they had to change the contract since SunRun would not offer the panels I signed. Though I did accept the alternate plan, I started to wonder what was going on at SunLux.

2. SunLux sales told me that SunLux would use their own workers to do the installation, and used the most reliable sealant. However, when the installers came, it WAS NOT workers from SunLux, and NO SunLux personnel ever showed up at the worksite. Those workers drilled several holes through my ceiling, and they did not use the correct sealant either.

3. I complained to SunLux and couple days later SunLux sent another crews subcontracted by SunLux plus one supervisor from SunLux. 4. At the last inspection by DWP with one SunLux worker, the SunLux worker told me that his manager would come to do something to complete the installation. That never happened. I informed the sales, and he told me everything is done.

5. After I received my first electrical bill, I was shocked that the amount of I had to pay for the electricity was the same as the last bill. I called SunRun, and the support person said that my system's output was way below what it should be, it at least should be double the amount. They send a SunLux service who came the next day. But no one had informed me that he would show up on that day. I had to rush home after he called me.

6. The service checked the system and claimed that the firmware in the converter was not correct and he updated the firmware. The system seems to do a bit better according to the SunRun's data, however, it was not at least doubled than before. I had contacted SunRun and SunLux on this matter, and I am waiting for the response. 7. Overall, my experience with SunLux can not rate high. First of all, they did not communicate well with the client as I expressed above. Secondly, they did not perform as the sales had told me, the operation seems to be fragmented, the sales and project engineering were not connected well.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

I did my due diligence by speaking with three different companies since I've had my share of issues with home contractors. From the initial sales pitch-person, to the final installation, Sunlux was great to work with. Being an engineer, I had some suggestions that would make an easier and cleaner install. They listened to my inputs and made adjustments. The install technicians were top notch. They were on-time, skilled, and really paid attention detail giving me the aesthetic look and electrical production that I was hoping for. Thank you again for being such a great company and doing such a fantastic job - I really appreciate how easy it was to get this done. Please don't change the way you are doing business - you have it all right!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

Sunlux appears pretty incompetent during our process, causing at least a 3 week delay in start up. We were getting mixed messages from installers on what needed to be done. We had two separate no shows on inspections. Lastly, they failed to “flip the switch” when the process was finally complete. Not pleased at all.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

SunLux was great to work with. Rob ** was a great sales person who explained everything in detail, answered all questions promptly, was available by text even when the job was passed to our team manager, Jennifer. Jennifer ** was always on point with statuses and updates. The financing was handled through them with good rates and options. Much better financing than competitors. The install and roofing went smoothly and when I wanted something fixed quickly they handled it. Our solar install looks amazing and better than the neighbors. I have referred them to others as well. Thank you SunLux!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

I had a reroof and solar install conducted in June 2020. The reroof ended up punching 2 holes in my master bedroom drywall due to a dropped hammer, that I had to patch myself, and they also accidentally cut a few electrical lines in my attic, knocking power out to 2 bedrooms and a bathroom, all of which have yet to be fixed. They attempted to send a crew out but after 2 visits it never changed, they shrugged their shoulders, and I never heard from them again. Was really excited for this whole thing and it’s been a total letdown.

SunLux Energy Company Information