4.5/5 (78 ratings)

About Sunlux

Sunlux is a solar energy company that specializes in full-service panel installation, including re-roofing and shingle projects. Customers work directly with a Sunlux advisor to customize their system. The company serves residents in Southern California and Central Texas.

Pros

• Variety of equipment options
  • 25-year performance guarantee
  • Modern, sleek designs

Cons

• Limited availability
  • Not ideal for small installations

Bottom Line

Sunlux's low-profile solar panels blend into a roof. Though prep time can be long, customers are generally pleased with their solar installations. The company provides a comprehensive 25-year warranty and lifetime support.

Top Sunlux Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I took bids from four other companies and I thought SunLux' salesman was professional and was persistent with his follow-up. He always had the answers or he came back with the ans...

Verified

SunLux has the best price from a couple of companies I got a call from. The customer service of SunLux was good. I really didn't have any complaints at all. However, they had a re...

What does Sunlux do?

Sunlux designs customized solar energy systems to ensure they fit its customers' needs. Sunlux's systems consist of solar panels, solar inverters and batteries. The company takes pride in its partnerships with Tesla, Panasonic and LG, which lets it build quality systems from quality materials. Sunlux provides cost-efficient, renewable energy sources, and customers can expect excellent engineering and professional installation. Sunlux also provides a handy savings calculator that estimates immediate and lifetime savings, which helps customers make educated financing decisions.

Sunlux costs

Sunlux prices range from $24,900 to $35,000. Costs vary depending on the size of your roof and whether you purchase, finance, lease or prepay for your solar panels. If you decide to purchase, a $1,000 deposit gets the process started, and the remaining cost is due after the company installs your solar power system.

Sunlux regularly coordinates with clients to find loan options, working with partners such as Dividend and the Energy Loan Network. Federal tax credits are also available to lower construction costs.

Sunlux installation

Sunlux solar installation only takes one or two days, but the prep time can take up to six weeks.

1. The installation process starts with a visit to the location, where specialists survey for challenges and measure the available space.
  2. Within the following week, Sunlux designers draft a plan that matches the customer's desired aesthetic and efficiency.
  3. The company then applies for permits. Permit approval may take up to a month.
  4. Once the permits arrive, the company begins installing the solar energy system.
  5. Crews install mounts and wiring first and then attach panels on the roof.
  6. Once finished, the system must pass a brief legal inspection. Then, energy production can begin.

Sunlux warranty

Sunlux offers a 25-year warranty, which is long by industry standards. The warranty covers the panels, performance, maintenance, installation and parts. The company also guarantees energy production, which lets customers know the system will continue to produce the desired amount of energy. Sunlux also includes monitoring, which lets customers check on the performance of their solar power system.

Sunlux FAQ

What kind of solar panels are available from Sunlux?
Sunlux uses solar panels from Panasonic, LG and Q CELLS. The company carries a range of sizes and looks with distinct features to meet customers' needs. For example:
  • The 320 LG NeON 2 is designed to be less noticeable and has a monochromatic appearance and thin dimensions.
  • Panasonic's N320K Photovoltaic Module HIT BLACK has specific drainage features and may be ideal for rainy areas.
Where is Sunlux available?
Sunlux is available in California, including in Los Angeles, Irvine, Rancho Santa Margarita, Bakersfield, Valencia and San Diego, and in parts of Texas.
Does Sunlux offer energy monitoring?
Yes, Sunlux continuously monitors all systems. This monitoring allows for professional problem resolution as soon as possible.
Does Sunlux provide energy storage?
Yes, you can add solar batteries to a solar system. Batteries provide off-grid power and can be used in a power outage or all the time. Sunlux uses Tesla, LG and Enphase battery systems.

Is Sunlux worth it?

We think Sunlux is a great option for those interested in clean, renewable energy. The company comes highly recommended by verified customers in California. Reviewers are generally satisfied with the installation and ongoing production on their systems. Plus, we like that Sunlux's financing, leasing and prepay options fit diverse budgets and can make it easier than ever to go solar.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunlux?

Original review: March 22, 2022

We were able to talk to three different representatives from three different companies, and the guy from Sunlux happened to be a gentleman. He came across as knowledgeable, and he went out of his way to check on things and verify pricing. I used to work in the public utility industry, and there was a discount that was available for people who work in the public utility industries that I didn't know about. The guy from Sunlux was very helpful, kind, polite, and professional, and seemed to have a sense of integrity because he made and kept his promises.

Sunlux has done the inspection, planning and engineering. At this point, they're still getting hold of the local utility because they're gonna have to upgrade the panels. They haven't installed it yet, but I anticipate that it's going to be everything I expect. I don't expect miracles from solar, but I expect that it will provide me with a lot of energy throughout the course of owning the house and provide most, if not all, of my needs as we go along.

We went with three of the top companies, and out of the choices that we had, Sunlux has been easily one of the best experiences. They've been fair, and as far as equitable, they've hit the price ranges that everybody else has. Nobody's given me super discounts, but Sunlux has been really personal, too. I even got contacted by one of the owners at one point because there was a misunderstanding. Their customer service and their regular service is top notch. I would absolutely recommend them.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

I selected four different companies and I interviewed all four. The salesman for SunLux was more knowledgeable simply because he had more years of experience in the field. I felt comfortable with that. I liked their warranty because it made me feel comfortable that they're going to be around to repair things if something goes wrong. They're not a company that I perceive is going to close up shop tomorrow. I was very impressed by their entire presentation and everything thus far has followed suit. They present things in a very organized way that a consumer who's not all that knowledgeable about solar can understand.

Their pricing structure also made a lot of sense. They analyzed our bills. They looked at our roof. They made comments on what would need to be done, and then put together a structure that made sense for me. He told me the options and then he connected me to the bank that they use to finance, and they took over from there. We're in the beginning phases. They did their inspection. Now, it's gone to their engineering department. Once their engineering department analyzes all the data, then the rep will come back to me and say, “We need to increase or decrease the panels."

Original review: Jan. 30, 2022

I've been talking to Adam with Sunlux for over a year and he's been super patient with me. He has filled me in on all my questions. He would call me sometimes a couple of weeks, sometimes a couple of months. We stayed in touch for a whole year because I wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing. I kept postponing him and postponing him but he was super nice and not pushy one bit. If I wanted him to call me back, he’d call me back.

If it wasn’t for Adam's patience and due diligence, I probably wouldn't be going with Sunlux. I probably would have went through a company that one of my friends had. Sunlux is a little bit more expensive on the loan process portion of it than some of my friends went through but I trust Adam. He promised me until my service is completely done, he's going to walk the whole entire process with me, and he has. Three days ago, I got an email saying that I needed to do my direct deposit so that I could get the APR financing at a locked-in lower rate. I called Adam and asked about it. He called the place and we got it handled. I can call him at a drop of a dime and he answers me.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

So far, SunLux has been great. They were competitive with price. They weren't the cheapest company that I went with, but I'm hoping I’m getting what I'm paying for. So far, it feels like it. They provided various financing options, and they were transparent about it. They said, “We have these companies. There's like 10 or more. You can pick whatever makes the most sense for you based on APR or anything like that.”

Don was the engineer that talked to me directly, and he was very informed about the industry. In fact, I chose SunLux because he gave me a little more technical information than some of the other agencies. He also made a point to recommend the specific LG panel that they have, which nobody else seems to carry. Instead of converting to DC power, it converts to AC power right at the panel. That was nice.

I got 29 panels, and installation hasn't been completed yet. They're still going through the permitting process, but that's almost done. Erica is my project manager. She’s been really communicative and if she doesn't know the answer, she will find out. I see messages from her late and early, and I can tell she's working hard to keep all the plates spinning, which is not easy.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

I worked with Mark and didn't get the best impression of him at first. He talks a lot, and I’m more "get to the point". He was persistent and kept matching with other offers I was receiving. We signed with someone else but he didn’t give up. Eventually, he gained my trust. We have a set date for the installation but I have a concern right now. We don’t have the second payment and there’s a late fee for it. Right now, we’re trying to get a HELOC but they're delaying it. I’m concerned if they will commit to the late fee, or will they give us a grace period to get this resolved.

Things have changed with COVID and they're not as accommodating to us. We need to sign papers and they're about an hour away. We're gonna see if they'll wait later for us to sign after we get off work. They are not willing to send somebody to us. The guy took Thursday off, and I don't think he was willing to let somebody else handle it. He’s putting us in a really tight bind. We have to sign by Friday in order to meet that deadline. But we've been in contact with someone from Texas and there have been a lot of long pauses, but when a deadline needs to be hit, she’s on it. I have my mom’s house next. Assuming this goes down well, we’ll be doing it again with SunLux.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

We compared Sunlux to the company from Costco, and Sunlux had better customer service. They explained the whole process to us very clearly. We got to understand the whole project very clearly. So we trust Sunlux. The representative gave us an update every week. So we had a pretty good understanding of where we were at.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

My salesperson was really prompt. He was always following up. But there were so many things that he did not tell me that needed to be in consideration. Like I had a lightweight roof and the solars couldn't be put on there, so I had a big surprise. The lady that I've been working with is Bonnie, and when she sends me emails, her emails are so vague. I don't even know if I need to respond to those emails or what's going on. It's really a mess. I'm thinking about not going with Sunlux because I don't know if I want to move forward with the whole mess that I'm in.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

The reps were good. They knew what they were talking about, and I was really happy with them. But they didn’t let me know about the whole roof thing. So we turned around and cancelled them.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2022

Sunlux was the most thorough. They were not the most affordable, but their honesty combined with their pricing was the best. The person that did our intake and walked us through the interview was the most honest. He is a salesperson, but he didn't act like one. The installation is supposed to happen in October, but we had a little hiccup with our project so we are probably going to push it out a little bit further. They work with what we thought was a lender, but they're a broker for the loan. The lender that they work with is no longer offering that loan. We're back at the application process.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

Chris is our rep and he is awesome. Other than that, I haven't been satisfied with any of the other people. SunLux has an email with two different phone numbers and both of them are no good, and that's disturbing. We've been having to deal with a little bit of a runaround. We were supposed to get this audit a few weeks ago. So the application was submitted to the finance and they dropped the ball. They were nonresponsive. They never did anything.

The audit people were set up and my wife said, “Well, I don't want to do the audit, because we don't even have approval.” So I had to cancel that audit. Then we scheduled it for last week but the tech was sick so we had to cancel it again. Here we are today and the guy was supposed to be here between 7:00 and 11:00 per an email sent by one of the Sunlux reps. She has her numbers that are both bad, so I sent an email. Then he called and said, “Nah, I’m supposed to be there between 9:00 and 11:00." So it's kind of chaotic.

Sunlux Company Information