4.5/5 (68 ratings)

About Sunlux

Sunlux is a solar energy company that specializes in full-service panel installation, including re-roofing and shingle projects. Customers work directly with a Sunlux advisor to customize their system. The company serves residents in Southern California and Central Texas.

Pros

• Variety of equipment options
  • 25-year performance guarantee
  • Modern, sleek designs

Cons

• Limited availability
  • Not ideal for small installations

Bottom Line

Sunlux's low-profile solar panels blend into a roof. Though prep time can be long, customers are generally pleased with their solar installations. The company provides a comprehensive 25-year warranty and lifetime support.

Top Sunlux Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I took bids from four other companies and I thought SunLux' salesman was professional and was persistent with his follow-up. He always had the answers or he came back with the ans...

Verified

SunLux has the best price from a couple of companies I got a call from. The customer service of SunLux was good. I really didn't have any complaints at all. However, they had a re...

What does Sunlux do?

Sunlux designs customized solar energy systems to ensure they fit its customers' needs. Sunlux's systems consist of solar panels, solar inverters and batteries. The company takes pride in its partnerships with Tesla, Panasonic and LG, which lets it build quality systems from quality materials. Sunlux provides cost-efficient, renewable energy sources, and customers can expect excellent engineering and professional installation. Sunlux also provides a handy savings calculator that estimates immediate and lifetime savings, which helps customers make educated financing decisions.

Sunlux costs

Sunlux prices range from $24,900 to $35,000. Costs vary depending on the size of your roof and whether you purchase, finance, lease or prepay for your solar panels. If you decide to purchase, a $1,000 deposit gets the process started, and the remaining cost is due after the company installs your solar power system.

Sunlux regularly coordinates with clients to find loan options, working with partners such as Dividend and the Energy Loan Network. Federal tax credits are also available to lower construction costs.

Sunlux installation

Sunlux solar installation only takes one or two days, but the prep time can take up to six weeks.

1. The installation process starts with a visit to the location, where specialists survey for challenges and measure the available space.
  2. Within the following week, Sunlux designers draft a plan that matches the customer's desired aesthetic and efficiency.
  3. The company then applies for permits. Permit approval may take up to a month.
  4. Once the permits arrive, the company begins installing the solar energy system.
  5. Crews install mounts and wiring first and then attach panels on the roof.
  6. Once finished, the system must pass a brief legal inspection. Then, energy production can begin.

Sunlux warranty

Sunlux offers a 25-year warranty, which is long by industry standards. The warranty covers the panels, performance, maintenance, installation and parts. The company also guarantees energy production, which lets customers know the system will continue to produce the desired amount of energy. Sunlux also includes monitoring, which lets customers check on the performance of their solar power system.

Sunlux FAQ

What kind of solar panels are available from Sunlux?
Sunlux uses solar panels from Panasonic, LG and Q CELLS. The company carries a range of sizes and looks with distinct features to meet customers' needs. For example:
  • The 320 LG NeON 2 is designed to be less noticeable and has a monochromatic appearance and thin dimensions.
  • Panasonic's N320K Photovoltaic Module HIT BLACK has specific drainage features and may be ideal for rainy areas.
Where is Sunlux available?
Sunlux is available in California, including in Los Angeles, Irvine, Rancho Santa Margarita, Bakersfield, Valencia and San Diego, and in parts of Texas.
Does Sunlux offer energy monitoring?
Yes, Sunlux continuously monitors all systems. This monitoring allows for professional problem resolution as soon as possible.
Does Sunlux provide energy storage?
Yes, you can add solar batteries to a solar system. Batteries provide off-grid power and can be used in a power outage or all the time. Sunlux uses Tesla, LG and Enphase battery systems.

Is Sunlux worth it?

We think Sunlux is a great option for those interested in clean, renewable energy. The company comes highly recommended by verified customers in California. Reviewers are generally satisfied with the installation and ongoing production on their systems. Plus, we like that Sunlux's financing, leasing and prepay options fit diverse budgets and can make it easier than ever to go solar.

Sunlux Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunlux?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2022

We had a Zoom meeting with Sunlux and they were very knowledgeable. They seemed to be upfront about options and reviewed our electric bills and came up with a few different solutions for us. Our agent was Gary and he seemed to be very knowledgeable. He never stuttered or couldn't answer a question. He presented himself as knowing his job. Email seemed to be the best form of communication. I received answers every time I sent an email. They sent me back either a follow-up or an answer to my question.

The gentleman that did the site audit physically came out here and took pictures and measured. He explained what he was doing before he did it. He explained that he was done and what was left to do. So I was really happy with the field person. I've been happy with everybody I've had contact with. Their information packet was extensive and thorough. If there was another website that I needed to go to, it was all in that packet.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 27, 2022

I have two houses down Corporate with Sunlux. One is okay and we are already processing through the HOA. But the scheduling with the other one is quite slow. They arranged for the technician to take a look at the roof, then after he inspected the roof, I haven't heard anything from them for four weeks. Later on, they contacted me and said that the technician did not complete an investigation on the roof. So they needed to come back again. Then they started to schedule for the technician to come over. In the end, I contacted the salesperson who contacted me in the very beginning. He contacted someone in the company and arranged for someone to come over today to take a look at the roof again. He did a good job. In fact, he is the reason why I chose Sunlux. This guy is Chinese, he's very popular in the Facebook group, and a lot of people recommend him, which is the most important thing.

Sunlux response

Hi Ben,

I apologize for any delays and will look into this immediately.

Original review: March 22, 2022

We were able to talk to three different representatives from three different companies, and the guy from Sunlux happened to be a gentleman. He came across as knowledgeable, and he went out of his way to check on things and verify pricing. I used to work in the public utility industry, and there was a discount that was available for people who work in the public utility industries that I didn't know about. The guy from Sunlux was very helpful, kind, polite, and professional, and seemed to have a sense of integrity because he made and kept his promises.

Sunlux has done the inspection, planning and engineering. At this point, they're still getting hold of the local utility because they're gonna have to upgrade the panels. They haven't installed it yet, but I anticipate that it's going to be everything I expect. I don't expect miracles from solar, but I expect that it will provide me with a lot of energy throughout the course of owning the house and provide most, if not all, of my needs as we go along.

We went with three of the top companies, and out of the choices that we had, Sunlux has been easily one of the best experiences. They've been fair, and as far as equitable, they've hit the price ranges that everybody else has. Nobody's given me super discounts, but Sunlux has been really personal, too. I even got contacted by one of the owners at one point because there was a misunderstanding. Their customer service and their regular service is top notch. I would absolutely recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

I selected four different companies and I interviewed all four. The salesman for SunLux was more knowledgeable simply because he had more years of experience in the field. I felt comfortable with that. I liked their warranty because it made me feel comfortable that they're going to be around to repair things if something goes wrong. They're not a company that I perceive is going to close up shop tomorrow. I was very impressed by their entire presentation and everything thus far has followed suit. They present things in a very organized way that a consumer who's not all that knowledgeable about solar can understand.

Their pricing structure also made a lot of sense. They analyzed our bills. They looked at our roof. They made comments on what would need to be done, and then put together a structure that made sense for me. He told me the options and then he connected me to the bank that they use to finance, and they took over from there. We're in the beginning phases. They did their inspection. Now, it's gone to their engineering department. Once their engineering department analyzes all the data, then the rep will come back to me and say, “We need to increase or decrease the panels."

Original review: Jan. 30, 2022

I've been talking to Adam with Sunlux for over a year and he's been super patient with me. He has filled me in on all my questions. He would call me sometimes a couple of weeks, sometimes a couple of months. We stayed in touch for a whole year because I wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing. I kept postponing him and postponing him but he was super nice and not pushy one bit. If I wanted him to call me back, he’d call me back.

If it wasn’t for Adam's patience and due diligence, I probably wouldn't be going with Sunlux. I probably would have went through a company that one of my friends had. Sunlux is a little bit more expensive on the loan process portion of it than some of my friends went through but I trust Adam. He promised me until my service is completely done, he's going to walk the whole entire process with me, and he has. Three days ago, I got an email saying that I needed to do my direct deposit so that I could get the APR financing at a locked-in lower rate. I called Adam and asked about it. He called the place and we got it handled. I can call him at a drop of a dime and he answers me.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

I found SunLux very responsive and helpful. Also, their communication has been very good, all the way through. I'm very pleased but I want them to start the work as soon as possible.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

Going with Sunlux, I felt like there was less dealing with middlemen and I felt more comfortable. Everything was great during the signup and Edison came out and did their thing, which was all good. The only thing is I'm old school so I don't always like email stuff but everybody goes through email. I would rather they call me. But for the most part, I'm fine with it.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

We had a few other offers through other companies, but we didn't feel comfortable with them. When we went through Sunlux, after the talk we had with the salesman, we felt very comfortable with him. Everything has been great.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

The process was simple. Sunlux sends you the contract and you paperless sign all the documents. The price just couldn't be matched. Also, everyone in every stage has been very good at responding back to questions. Most recently, they told me that they don't have the panels that we have agreed upon to install. We're in the process of reselecting different panels for a rooftop. It's been great.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

Dean Sharp talks highly about SunLux in his radio show and recommends them. I gave them a shot. So far, working with SunLux was very good. But working with the people they give a credit to took forever. They finally approved me. They came and did my initial inspection. They told me that I had to reroute my whole house. I have a three year old tile roof on my house and it's light tiles. But the people that did the inspection said the panels are too heavy. Now, I have to rip off all of the tiles and put all new roofing on which I have to pay for. I'm currently waiting for somebody to get back to me. I have never heard back from them.

It's been about two weeks now since I last had an email from them. They said that they would provide me with a bid or I could also go get my own bid. I said, “Why don't you guys provide me with your bid first? And let's just see where we have a place to start.” I'm a little reluctant because I just spent $60,000 on my roof. Things will depend on what the bid would cost.

That aside, all the people were super nice. The initial sales agent that I dealt with got back to me right away with my questions. Now I'm dealing with another person who's in charge and pulling all this stuff together. They sent me a long, in-depth email about what the problems were and that I didn't have the proper tiles that they quoted me on. They'll give me a different title and they won't charge me. But the problem is the roof.

Sunlux Company Information