2. Solar Energy

Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.57/5

Sunlux is a solar energy company that specializes in full-service panel installation, including re-roofing and shingle projects. Customers work directly with a Sunlux advisor to customize their system. The company serves residents in Southern California and Central Texas.

SunLux Energy Gallery (6)
BOTTOM LINE

Sunlux's low-profile solar panels blend into a roof. Though prep time can be long, customers are generally pleased with their solar installations. The company provides a comprehensive 25-year warranty and lifetime support.

PROS
  • Variety of equipment options
  • 25-year performance guarantee
  • Modern, sleek designs
CONS
  • Limited availability
  • Not ideal for small installations

Top SunLux Energy Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunLux Energy?

I took bids from four other companies and I thought SunLux' salesman was professional and was persistent with his follow-up. He always had the answers or he came back with the answers, and their quote was competitively priced….

SunLux has the best price from a couple of companies I got a call from. The customer service of SunLux was good. I really didn't have any complaints at all. However, they had a rebate, like a tax break, that I didn't really understand. But besides that, everything went well.

SunLux Energy Get Started

What does Sunlux do?

Sunlux designs customized solar energy systems to ensure they fit its customers' needs. Sunlux's systems consist of solar panels, solar inverters and batteries. The company takes pride in its partnerships with Tesla, Panasonic and LG, which lets it build quality systems from quality materials. Sunlux provides cost-efficient, renewable energy sources, and customers can expect excellent engineering and professional installation. Sunlux also provides a handy savings calculator that estimates immediate and lifetime savings, which helps customers make educated financing decisions.

Sunlux costs

Sunlux prices range from $24,900 to $35,000. Costs vary depending on the size of your roof and whether you purchase, finance, lease or prepay for your solar panels. If you decide to purchase, a $1,000 deposit gets the process started, and the remaining cost is due after the company installs your solar power system.

Sunlux regularly coordinates with clients to find loan options, working with partners such as Dividend and the Energy Loan Network. Federal tax credits are also available to lower construction costs.

Sunlux installation

Sunlux solar installation only takes one or two days, but the prep time can take up to six weeks.

1. The installation process starts with a visit to the location, where specialists survey for challenges and measure the available space.
  2. Within the following week, Sunlux designers draft a plan that matches the customer's desired aesthetic and efficiency.
  3. The company then applies for permits. Permit approval may take up to a month.
  4. Once the permits arrive, the company begins installing the solar energy system.
  5. Crews install mounts and wiring first and then attach panels on the roof.
  6. Once finished, the system must pass a brief legal inspection. Then, energy production can begin.

Sunlux warranty

Sunlux offers a 25-year warranty, which is long by industry standards. The warranty covers the panels, performance, maintenance, installation and parts. The company also guarantees energy production, which lets customers know the system will continue to produce the desired amount of energy. Sunlux also includes monitoring, which lets customers check on the performance of their solar power system.

Sunlux FAQ

What kind of solar panels are available from Sunlux?
Sunlux uses solar panels from Panasonic, LG and Q CELLS. The company carries a range of sizes and looks with distinct features to meet customers' needs. For example:
  • The 320 LG NeON 2 is designed to be less noticeable and has a monochromatic appearance and thin dimensions.
  • Panasonic's N320K Photovoltaic Module HIT BLACK has specific drainage features and may be ideal for rainy areas.
Where is Sunlux available?
Sunlux is available in California, including in Los Angeles, Irvine, Rancho Santa Margarita, Bakersfield, Valencia and San Diego, and in parts of Texas.
Does Sunlux offer energy monitoring?
Yes, Sunlux continuously monitors all systems. This monitoring allows for professional problem resolution as soon as possible.
Does Sunlux provide energy storage?
Yes, you can add solar batteries to a solar system. Batteries provide off-grid power and can be used in a power outage or all the time. Sunlux uses Tesla, LG and Enphase battery systems.

Is Sunlux worth it?

We think SunLux is a great option for those interested in clean, renewable energy. The company comes highly recommended by verified customers in California. Reviewers are generally satisfied with the installation and ongoing production on their systems. Plus, we like that Sunlux's financing, leasing and prepay options fit diverse budgets and can make it easier than ever to go solar.

SunLux Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunLux Energy?

Original review: March 23, 2021

We talked with a couple of companies. There was a company where we started to move towards the design phase but the design really did not accommodate our home. We have a Spanish-style home and part of it has a flat roof. Another part is tiled out roofing with classic clay tiles. We wanted to make sure that the investment was going to yield the savings we were seeking. If they were putting in solar and there was not enough solar panels to offset the cost of paying the utility company, it didn't make any sense. They didn't seem to have an alternative. Also, there wasn't any consistency in contact with the customer service so we decided to hold off on that.

We called a local radio host. He's a designer and does construction of homes in California. He has lots of great tips. I said, "Surely, there has to be these panels that have evolved to be smaller, but more powerful." Technology is evolving at least every three years, if not yearly. He recommended SunLux and they're an advertiser. I liked his advice and gave SunLux a call. The engineer or the tech expert walked us through the different products and what decisions we needed to make. We are under the pandemic and it was very easy to show some of the options for us. They had a picture of our house so we could see where the panels might go on our roofing.

From there, they had a financing option that worked really well for us. Every step of the way, the management of the project was well done. There was someone we could contact to help us to be ready for each stage. Everyone was courteous and very professional. That coordinator, Erica, made such a difference in keeping us apprised of what was going on. There was the ease of the financing. They gave us some options of a Tesla battery at the time. There was also LG and the products they offered were state of the art, which was what we were looking for.

We had to make some modifications to the solar panels but SunLux was able to put all the solar panels on our roofing. The modification required them to have some of the panels that would come right at the edge of the roof. We were concerned about that because the way they put those panels in, you walk to our house and you cannot see those panels. I see some people around my neighborhood who have gotten solar panels and when you walk to their house, there are these hideous panels that are right at the front door. It disrupts the aesthetic of the home.

SunLux was able to make the adjustment and they did not have to do a hanging. They were able to work with the roof and reconfigure things. It's lovely. We retained the style of our Spanish home. The architectural integrity was important to us. And in handling all the permits, we really put ourselves in SunLux's hands and they competently accomplished each step. We are very happy with SunLux and really glad to recommend them. They're topflight and they live up to their reputation.

When making a purchase of solar panels, you want to have the right company to know what you want and know how the company manages the process. Their communications and their customer support are absolutely key to guide you through the process. There's a permitting process but how does the company handle it? How professional and courteous are they in communications with you frequently so you know every step of the way? This is the process that SunLux used and gave us confidence.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

I saw a neighborhood family install the solar panel with the SunLux. So, I got the number and I called. I was in touch with Adam, the salesperson, and I was very impressed with his explanation. He was very responsible. And then later on, everything went smoothly, but the pandemic made things go much slower. My project is very simple but it did not pass the local permit department for the first time, then SunLux had to resubmit the plan. I was surprised to find that out. I waited for a long time. That was a little disappointing. The project started in October 1st. Three months should have been enough to finish by the end of 2020, but it did not until February 8. Everything else looked fine. Somebody kept me updated frequently, so I like that part.

At first, I was able to get in touch with the project manager directly. But lately, it has been always like nobody doesn’t pick up and then it automatically leaves a message. That is a frustrating experience. I will try to call my project manager again because I know the first payment is due on March 9th, and so far, I’m anxious to know where shall I send my first check to.

SunLux told me to use the LG if I'm going to choose a particular panel. I was using that, where each panel has its own inverter. But then the contract has an individual item of inverter. And then later on, they told me there was a modification. There should be no change. But because LG has its own individual inverter, so I thought there should be either price deduction or a better explanation on why the modification was done. They told me they were all using Panasonic. But then after a bit in progress, they told me they were going to offer the LG because they have a contract with them. That's a little hiccup that I would like to have a little clearer explanation. I would still recommend this company happily if somebody wanted to install that in the near future.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

My meeting with the sales representative was done online via Zoom and he was able to present the background of the company, options for the house, and an overview of the process, should I decide to move forward with them. He went through a basic design and potential, given my location, and gave an overall pricing review and the various guarantees associated with it. SunLux's warranties and guarantee seemed longer than some of the other solar providers around the area. I decided to move forward with them and go with the in-house financing for that.

The purchase was fairly easy. Everything was done online, via phone calls, or through web meetings until they needed to come out and do an in-person project review to take a look at the site by one of the project managers. Between when the equipment was actually installed took a couple of weeks. The main holdup was the permitting process. Given the slowdowns with the city, that took a lot longer than we had anticipated. We were originally supposed to do the install in November and we didn't end up getting the approval to do it until early January.

Once everything was installed, the city came out and did the inspection within a week. They were able to get the system approved and going. Then, the process with SoCal Edison was another two weeks at the outset. It took 10 days tops to get the permit to operate and go live. It's been live for about a month now and I wish that the app to monitor the production was better. These are LG panels so it's an LG app and the app doesn't work for the phone so I have to do it online. It's a cumbersome system. But the actual energy production seems to be on par. My first month's bill has come back, and it was like $20 from the Electric Company, which is pretty nice.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

The customer service with SunLux Energy is outstanding. They're constantly on top of everything. They kept me apprised of every step that was being taken. My project manager, Berlin, was fantastic. What's shocking was that they buy the panels from a distributor and they don't tell you what it is. Once we were into the project, I got a certified letter stating that if SunLux doesn't pay their bill, I'm getting a $14,000 lien put on my house. It never happened because they did pay it but I was very aggressive at first with these people thinking I didn't do business with them. I didn't sign any contracts with them.

After doing a lot of internet research and so forth, I learned that this does happen if companies go belly up. Even though I didn't make any business with the provider of the solar panels, they have a right to put a lien on the property for their merchandise. SunLux provided me the document saying that it was paid in full then they forwarded it directly to the company and I didn't have to do anything further. But it is kind of scary when you're in a contract with a company like this and you get this in the mail, and they don't tell you that this is gonna happen.

The guys that came over were very professional but it took about two months until I went to full production because half my panels were wired incorrectly. They came out once and tried but couldn't figure it out. We had to set another appointment for about three weeks out. Then they sent a crew of two guys. They spent all day and finally found the problem. There was reverse polarity on one of the panels.

Having SunLux, I'm saving a lot of money. My payments for the solar panels might pay the rest of my life for these things but for me, my payments are $170 a month. My average electric and water bill every two months was between 1,100 and 1,600 for a family of three and a swimming pool. The electric portion of it was between 600 and 800. I got air conditioning last year and my bill probably would have been about 1,700 just for electric. Now that we have the solar panels, the most I've paid for electric so far has been $65. It's definitely paying off for me.

Original review: June 20, 2020

The stock market was at 30,000, so we had a little extra money. I happened to get a glance at our electric bill, and I thought it was pretty high. I had been considering solar for a very long time, but it seemed it just got to a point where it was pretty efficient. It made sense that if I waited any longer, I'd be too old to buy. I was talking to SunLux and Sunrun, but it really was a matter of price and salespeople to a certain extent. I was going to go with Sunrun because they were affiliated with Costco, and I thought I'd have some recourse if we had problems. But when we ventured into it, the SunLux salesperson was much more knowledgeable and upfront than the other guy, and then they sweetened the deal by putting in a level 2 plug for electric car charger in my garage.

The whole process took almost two months from the time we’d signed the contract until the time it was turned on. A lot of that delay was waiting for the city to come take a look and sign off. The installation took a day. Solar always seems to make sense. My calculations say that we’ll break even in seven years. So, it's like prepaying your electric bill. It certainly is good for the environment. I'm also fascinated with the technology. In the morning, I wake up, and the first thing I do is go to the application where I can see how much energy we produced so far today.

There was a gal in the office, her name was Berlyn. She was holding my hand as we went through the process with the city, and she kept me up-to-date on exactly what was happening. She would go back and remind them that they hadn't done their job yet and she just communicated perfectly. Then after it was installed, there was another gentleman who called me to make sure everything was going correctly. The support was excellent. Everybody was friendly and knowledgeable.

Original review: April 21, 2021

I was very pleased with SunLux Energy. I live in the city of Glendale, California and we must have the most difficult permitting process ever. We started this process on April 23rd of 2020 and it took almost one year to pull the permit just to have SunLux come in and install the solar. We had an original project manager who left the company and kinda left us hanging for a bit. But the next project manager that came in did an excellent job trying to recover and stuck with us throughout the process. I really appreciate that.

They know how to work through the process and they worked very diligently. Everything was installed. All the detailing was done and wrapped it up and commissioned in four to six weeks. It was fast. It’s nice to make your own energy. When they installed it and they commissioned it, we were partially through one cycle and we get billed every other month. I'm waiting for two full months to pass in order to see the benefits but I could tell right now, I've already looked at the kilowatt production per week and per month and we'll be able to pay off the system in pretty quick period of time.

Original review: April 16, 2021

The main factor that played into going with SunLux was a presentation I got from my energy company that installed it, Green Convergence. They were fantastic. They explained to me why SunLux panels were better, as opposed to the other ones. I did about five estimates, and Green Convergence was the only one that presented me with SunLux panels. I did my consumer research, and at the time, they seemed to be the best. I live in California, and my panels are still working probably 99% of what my first year was. I've not had a problem with them. I do have them cleaned professionally every nine months.

From start to finish, everything was fantastic and the personnel was extraordinary. There were a few hiccups and they rectified the situation rapidly. There was a hiccup with getting my rebate from Southern Edison and they're working on that problem now. Unfortunately, with the Tesla Powerwall, I had to wait nine months. Other than that, I'm really, really happy.

Original review: April 8, 2021

The fact that SunLux had been around the longest of the companies that we looked at and where the part of the industry that their founders had come from, and the support and transparency we received on our initial call with them gave us the most confidence that they'd be able to see the project through and provide support even afterward.

The installation crew was a contractor with SunLux. The installation crew was on our job site when we had other people on our job site and myself and my boyfriend who owned the home together. So, the two clients were on the job site and we frequently had to request that they put masks back on, and it felt disrespectful when everyone else on the entire site was wearing masks and having to ask them multiple times. But as far as executing the job, they did a really good job and they were very communicative and the workers were clean.

Based on our former bills, we should be right at a place where we are running about the same amount of money, and I only expect that number to become more disproportionate in our favor, where electrical will continue to get expensive, but our loan stuff will stay the same. We're charging our cars off of it and we have plug-in gas cars and we're driving very little. So, we haven't been having to buy gas, which is awesome. So overall, I feel really good about it. I also appreciate the back-end service, like being able to check on everything beyond just the cost-saving that it's providing. For the money that we spent, we got a good product that felt quality. We got exactly what we were going in for not knowing anything about the process.

Original review: April 3, 2021

The sales rep was great. He was very patient, answered all my questions and concerns, really listened to my wants and needs and came up with a reasonable timetable as to when things would get accomplished. The cost is a little bit higher than norm, but it’s expected because of the quality of work that SunLux does. I’d also give the installation a 7 out of 10 stars. There was one visit where it was unannounced. They always mentioned that there's always gonna be a possibility of cutting of electricity, so we instructed the project manager that we needed to have ample notice for any visits. Being that we have two students doing online studies, as well as my wife working from home, any disruption can be unwarranted. My also wife mentioned that the installers were speaking Spanish but in a very vulgar tone. Other than that, the installation went okay.

Original review: April 1, 2021

We did a virtual visit and the sales rep explained all the benefits of going solar, and how much money I'll be saving in the long run with going solar. He also mentioned the impact on the planet and renewable energy. He was very informative. He answered all my questions. I was very happy with the sales rep that I dealt with. There was some delays with the installation due to COVID and that was understandable. SunLux Energy was always on point as far as informing me of where we were with the installation process, and with the gathering of permits from the City and from my HOA.

The installation crew was great. They came in and explained everything they were going to do. We hardly even heard or saw them because they got in, they did what they had to do, and then they got out. They cleaned up after themselves. The cost of the service was very reasonable. I've got my first electric bill and I'm seeing savings already. From start to finish, it was an awesome experience. SunLux was very professional and informative. They laid out everything for me. Everything that I heard on the radio was spot-on.

SunLux Energy Company Information