Call toll free
4.63/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Sunlux is a solar energy provider focused on helping residents and businesses in Southern California, Austin and San Antonio find solar energy solutions that best fit their needs. At Sunlux, we make sure that you are well informed about our products and the benefits of switching to solar and let you decide when you are ready. We offer residential and commercial services with the option of owning or leasing the product. Call us today to learn more about how Sunlux can help you start saving money!

Sunlux Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

SunLux Energy Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

We've been considering going solar for quite a while and our monthly energy cost was increasing with time. And we're getting up there in age and we just needed to keep the house a little cooler in the summer. And it was costing us too much, so we started looking around, and I found SunLux. SunLux was the second and we decided to go with them immediately.

The representatives that I worked with from SunLux were amazing. I don't think the average person knows a whole lot about solar, but when you decide to go that direction, you're getting the important questions and answers. And the SunLux reps were very thorough. They came out the house and they took measurements, and they made recommendations of how many panels are needed based on the size of the roof. They took copies of the last 12 electric bills. And they analyzed all that and they came back with a proposal, and it was really very professional. They were very kind and thoughtful and guide us through the whole process.

I’ve talked to Ryan frequently about some other things because I referred several other people to them as well. He was the rep I worked most closely with. SunLux made us very comfortable. We were apprehensive about something new and different. We had concerns about the roof, we had concerns about whether to lease, to buy, who would pay for the maintenance, and all those kinds of things. And they were very thorough and covered all the questions that we had. In the end, we were very comfortable and anxious to get the process moving.

I made a couple suggestions to them about how they could expand their business, for example, opening up some solar farms out in some vacant desert property. There’s been a lot of them out in the Victorville-Atlanta area of the desert. So I suggested that to them, so they're looking into that. I also suggested that they add solar to the church that I belong to. And they're dealing with their staff now in trying to determine how best that can work. So, I have some suggestions for them in addition to just a residential recommendation.

Ryan was the initial person who gave us the quote, sat down with us and explained the whole process. But then, there are several other layers of administration that have to take place, one of which is financing, one of which is installation, one of which is the general corporate structure. And we were very happy with all of those. They were all very efficient and did a really wonderful job.

Sunrun is the financial arm of the company. SunLux is the umbrella company. And then, they have the installation arm, they have the finance arm, they have the administration arm, and the sales arm. From what I have experienced, that looks like the four facets of their business. And the Sunrun part of it came up with a very reasonable cost and a 20-year lease. They gave us three different options which were to purchase outright, purchase over time, and lease over 20 years. So, we decided on the lease. And the lease is transferrable. So the new buyers could just assume the same lease. They don't have to renegotiate, which is gonna be a real advantage to somebody. We thought that was a very good feature. And whenever we try to sell or our kids try to sell, it's gonna be a feature that will be a selling point.

I have referred SunLux to several friends. The most recent was just installed about a week ago, and they're waiting out for Southern California, have somebody come out and give the final approval before they go live. SunLux offers a program for referral and for the first one I referred, which was probably six months ago, they sent a check.

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

We have one option for electricity in California and it's not an equitable program. We also had a family member up in the high desert where they were allowed a lot more electricity before their rates went above baseline. We're kind of a captive audience for going solar and I also liked the pricing that they have for it if you use any. Plus, we were basically sweating in the house before we turn the air on because we didn't want a $400 or $500 bill.

So, we looked into a program, a PPA, and they went and looked at the roof, said that we needed new paper, and wanted to charge us three grand to repaper that section. At the time, I had been speaking with the rep from SunLux and he would explain the difference in their program to purchase and the whole idea of having a full 20 to 25-year complete system warranty instead of just the panels. That was a big deal because I didn't wanna have a system that was gonna fail at 11 years when the 10 year warranty went out. Since the warranty was so much longer with their full system warranty, that was really the big indicator that that would be the best option. That's peace of mind big time.

Everything was good with SunLux. But there was one time when I was having a little trouble getting ahold of somebody and it turned out that that somebody had gone on vacation for a week. So, I had to reach out to somebody else, but everything else was easy. There was one little booboo when they were up in the attic though. They stepped on a drywall and pushed it down a little tiny bit. But I called and the next day they were out and they fixed it. And it looked like it never happened. Accidents happen, but they took care of it quickly. They matched the paint of it, too and it was impressive. So, I was very happy. I tell everybody about them and I post good reviews everywhere I could because I was extremely pleased with how everything turned out.

One of the reasons I tell everybody about them is because when they came in, they said they expected the installation to take about a day, but it ended up taking two days. At the end of the first day, one of them apologized that it took too long because they ended up replacing that same felt paper on the roof from the other company. They actually went ahead and took half the roof apart, repapered the roof, replaced some of the damaged tiles, and they never sent me a bill. All they did was apologize that it took longer. So, in my opinion, they went way above and beyond.

I've been using solar energy for two years now but I'm still tied to the grid. Besides from that, I don't have to worry about being comfortable in the house anymore. I can run the air conditioning and the good thing is that over the course of the year and during the spring months and fall months that we're not really using much, we build up a credit because we're producing more than we use. And with the time of use plan that we're on, during the time when we're generating most energy, and a lot of time we're not using any electricity, just generating, we sell high to Edison. Then we buy low during the nighttime because the rates go lower in the nighttime. So, that's pretty sweet.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Initially, I was concerned about SunLux's service because after looking at their reviews, they don't really have a good presence in Northern California. At that time, I had hooked up with EnergySage and I had an advisor there who was helpful. I had also talked to a number of people in the neighborhood who had gotten solar and none of them had gone with SunLux. SunLux wasn't the cheapest either. Still, between those customer reviews, EnergySage, my own research and the price, I had the greatest confidence in SunLux. They have Panasonic panels and these are the top solar panels in the market.

I went with them and they had a bit of a challenge with the installation. They had to redesign and then there was a delay. Also, once they were here to do the installation, there were some things that were left undone. I didn’t get an explanation for that until I called. Even so, when their reps explained the situation to me, I understood. Their follow up with their customer service rep thereafter was good too. He answered my questions.

Additionally, SunLux's reps worked with me on what percentage of my bill I wanted to get rid of. I wanted to get rid of all my electrical cost. I wanted it to be just a little over 100% ‘cause I didn’t know if we needed more than that. The first time they came back to me, they came back to me with two more panels than I thought I needed. I questioned them about it because it was coming in at 115% of what was needed. After I questioned them, they reduced it to about 105%, which is fine.

However, there were a couple of things that were never discussed in the process. Nothing was ever discussed about cleaning the solar panels. After the first month, my production went down over 10% and it was because there was dust and dirt on my solar panels. When I cleaned the panels, I just sprayed them off, then the production picked up. I was disappointed that there wasn’t any discussion at all about the pros and cons of cleaning those panels, and better yet, how I should clean them. When I called SunLux, their customer service person said that they didn’t think the panels needed to be cleaned. They wouldn’t recommend using any type of product like using something that would actually wash the windows.

Original review: June 28, 2019

I have just received my “PERMISSION TO OPERATE” from Southern California Edison confirming that my “Self-Generation Facility is Interconnected to SCE's Electric Grid”, ie my solar system can now export energy to the SCE grid and I get credit for it. This project started about 4 months ago when I finally settled on choosing SunLux Energy to install a Solar Energy System. Having talked to and discarded several companies before, I was impressed by what SunLux had to offer: a top quality system, very flexible configurations, multiple options, battery backup, and a great warranty covering roof leaks as well as their equipment. The SunLux Sales Representative, Ben **, was as pleasant as he was professional.

Working from a few typical SCE monthly statements he came up with a configuration that would produce my average electric consumption plus a safety margin, along with a battery backup component to keep our choice of devices powered on in case of a power outage. The equipment itself is made by SolarEdge, an excellent solar energy products manufacturer, and by LG. The decision was easy, the mantle was passed to the Project Manager, Raul **, who promptly set up an installation schedule which the installation crew stuck to. This crew was very professional and very diligent. 27 panels were installed in one day even though my roof is of an unconventional metal type. (Since the installation was completed we had a strong wind event and a couple of very stormy days with an unusual amount of rain; but no leaks and not a single panel budged.)

At the completion of the installation, the mantle was passed to the SunLux Customer Service Manager, Garrett **, who managed the setup, testing, monitoring and transfer of the system to me. To me, the quality of a system has as much to do with the quality of support as with the system itself. Working with Garrett was, and continues to be, a real pleasure. He is always available, he is patient, he responds to issues very promptly, often before I’m even aware that there is an issue. He also guided the application to get the system interconnected to the SCE grid, which was finally approved last week. I am very happy with my SunLux system and would strongly recommend SunLux to anybody in the market for a top notch solar energy system.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I'm very green and I know that in 2020 all the rebuilds and remodels are gonna have to go solar. So, I think that I'd get ahead of the game and I've always been curious about solar. I've got a few friends that have had it. I picked the company initially through Costco, but they were trying to push a battery. It was just gonna be so involved and I kept saying that I do not want a battery. Then, one Sunday morning several months ago, while I was listening to a radio program that has everything about houses, remodeling and decorating, they had SunLux in there for two hours and they were talking about solar.

They were so transparent and their explanations were very clear. I thought of having them come out and give me a bid. The whole experience was very positive and I liked the salesman. My interactions with them were easy and accessible. I didn’t have to run around trying to call them and I was able to get a hold of somebody. The first guy that came out was Tracy. He was a very nice guy and he spent a lot of time with me and went over everything. I'm very happy with him. I also spoke with Liz. She was the project manager and I did most of my contact with her through email. She kept me abreast on how it was going and when they submitted the plans to the city. Everything went smoothly and I ended up buying the panels because I've heard that when you lease them, it kinda gets a little weird when you sell. The installation was in one day.

We have 100 amp PAL and I was told that they would not charge me if it needed to be upgraded to 200. So, after the installation, I was trying to do some DIY stuff and putting in a new light fixture and changing out some light switches, I turned off the main but when I tried to turn it back on, it kept tripping. This happened two different times and the last time, I just could not get it to stay on. So, I called out an electrician who came out at 7 o’clock at night. He was a con artist so I sent him back. The next day, I had an actual legal licensed electrician come out and he said that the panel wasn’t graded for solar. He said that SunLux probably knew about it, but they let it slide. Today, I talked to Derrick who's in customer service and he said that they can upgrade now for $1,500. I told him that I was initially told that it would be a free upgrade if needed. Other than that, I'm really happy with SunLux.

SunLux Energy response

Donna,

Thank you for the review of Sunlux. Batteries can be a little tricky and if you ever decide to get one give us a call and we can explain all the perks.

Respectfully,

Garrett Kramer

Customer Service Manager

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunlux?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

We needed to save money in the long run. SunLux Energy had the best reviews in my area so I went with them. It was really painless with SunLux. Everything, more or less, they said they were gonna do, they did. The sales manager was kind enough to give me his cellphone number, so a couple of times I had questions, I was able to just text him and he would respond. That was convenient. The installation took a day. They came on the scheduled date and completed it in the timeframe quoted. There was one issue that’s still kinda being ironed out. It's my power provider, Edison because they're spending too much time to convert a customer over to solar. It’s been three months now and I still am being billed as a regular customer. And then, all of that money is supposed to be credited back to me.

All of that is fine, but it would have been nice if that would have been communicated to me by SunLux when I handed them a check for that large amount of money that I paid. So, I had to get these surprise bills, that was upsetting, and then spend time calling Edison and figure out what’s going on. There was no communication there between them, myself and the power company, about running into this issue. But I got everything squared off with the power company. So, I feel good that it's all been worked out.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

I live in the middle of the desert in Southern California and the sun is beating on my house 300 plus days a year so it just made sense to go solar. And my electricity bill was outrageous. SunLux Energy had the most convenience, best reviews, and best prices. I like that the monthly payment is half, if not less, than other people with the exact, same system.

The installation took two days and it was fantastic. The guy in charge of the job was super knowledgeable. The people from other companies who came to my house and did quotes said that they were gonna have to charge me an extra $5,000 to redo my electrical panel and that they were gonna have to punch holes in my ceiling. But the guy in charge said they could run the system on my panel. He just needed to rearrange my panel and that as long as I was fine with him turning off my electricity for half an hour, then he can rearrange the panel for free. He did that and the power was only off for 10 minutes. He likes to underpromise and overdeliver. They also repainted the parts of the house that they worked on with the extra paint that I had

Everything with SunLux was great. Everybody was knowledgeable and for the most part, really quick to get back to me. But sometimes, I had to stay on top of them. They would say they'd get back to us tomorrow, but after four days, I'd have to shoot them an email and check in with them. Then, they would do it. It's a handful of extra emails over a month and maybe one extra phone call, which isn't too bad to save tens of thousands of dollars. Whatsmore, for the next 20 years, it all has warranties. This summer, I've been paying $122 a month for electricity when I would normally be paying between $500 and $800 a month. I'm 100% satisfied.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

From the day of signing the contract to now, I've had only four phone calls with update of when I will get scheduled and still waiting!! I've called all Managers and Directors in charged, leave voice messages and not one call back from them!!!! This is still not even dealing with the actual install of the roof and they say there are the #1 in service satisfaction.. But they were quick on taking the deposit$$$.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I went through a solar program to save money. I went through SunLux Energy due to their online reviews. The sales guy was great. He gave me an initial quote, and then I researched other online providers and then he price matched. The installation process went according to plan. The workers are courteous. The schedule is as advertised. The project went smoothly based on schedule. I think having SunLux is gonna be great based on the projection about monetary, benefit-wise. If somebody I know is considering going through SunLux, I'd tell them to do price comparison with other vendors.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

We wanted to reduce our energy costs and take advantage of the rebate incentive for the tax credit. We did a little research and SunLux Energy was one of the best-rated companies in our area. Their reps did a good job and our interactions with them were very positive. We thought owning the panels would add some value to our home and would make a difference if we decide to resell our home so we financed it.

We did the installation in the rainy season where we live. They forecasted the weather and once we got a timeframe, the installation went very smoothly and quickly. There weren’t any delays. We also had them do some roofing and it was very well-done. They were very professional and good at what they do. Having solar energy has been a very positive experience. We noticed that the electric bills are a lot less. We just went through the summer and ran our air conditioner a little bit. We were managing to generate a little bit more energy than we were using, so the system is gonna prove to be very cost-effective for us.

Sunlux expert review by Zachary Shahan

This company can handle everything from site evaluation and paperwork and installation to maintenance—locations in California, Texas, Nevada and Arizona. For over 20 years, they have focused on helping consumers save money but pinpointing their properties exact energy needs.

• Installation process: Upon signing a contract, SunLux will do a site evaluation, measuring your roof and conduct a shading study. Once the evaluation is complete, its team of engineers will design a system that fits your property and send it to you for approval. They will handle all permits that are needed through your city and once the proper permits are obtained, they will install your system. Finally, SunLux will do a final inspection with the city manager to check for proper installation.

• Leasing options: SunLux Energy partners with solar leasing programs and offers leasing options for people paying over $100 per month on their energy bills. Its customers who use a leasing program save over 30% on their energy bills and an average of $500 by the end of the first year.

• Financing options: SunLux Energy partners with finance companies to offer financing for its energy systems. No down payment is required and you can choose between 5- to 25-year terms. Additionally, financing your system earns you a 30-percent tax credit and allows you to own your own solar panels, which has an average return on investment of 20 percent.

• Commercial project development: SunLux Energy works with commercial clients in the state of California to maximize energy savings and return on investment. Its engineers work with your company during the design phase to develop customized energy solutions for your business.

• Qualification: Interested customers can visit the SunLux website and fill out a form with their basic information and the amount of their average electric bill to see if they qualify to switch to solar energy.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

SunLux Energy Company Information