2. Solar Energy
Accredited Partner

Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.91/5

Sunlux is a solar energy company that specializes in full-service panel installation, including re-roofing and shingle projects. Customers work directly with a Sunlux advisor to customize their system. The company serves residents in Southern California and Central Texas.

SunLux Energy Gallery (6)

BOTTOM LINE

Sunlux's low-profile solar panels blend into a roof. Though prep time can be long, customers are generally pleased with their solar installations. The company provides a comprehensive 25-year warranty and lifetime support.

PROS

• Variety of equipment options
  • 25-year performance guarantee
  • Modern, sleek designs

CONS

• Limited availability
  • Not ideal for small installations

Top SunLux Energy Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunLux Energy?

I took bids from four other companies and I thought SunLux' salesman was professional and was persistent with his follow-up. He always had the answers or he came back with the answers, and their quote was competitively priced….

SunLux has the best price from a couple of companies I got a call from. The customer service of SunLux was good. I really didn't have any complaints at all. However, they had a rebate, like a tax break, that I didn't really understand. But besides that, everything went well.

SunLux Energy Get Started

What does Sunlux do?

Sunlux designs customized solar energy systems to ensure they fit its customers' needs. Sunlux's systems consist of solar panels, solar inverters and batteries. The company takes pride in its partnerships with Tesla, Panasonic and LG, which lets it build quality systems from quality materials. Sunlux provides cost-efficient, renewable energy sources, and customers can expect excellent engineering and professional installation. Sunlux also provides a handy savings calculator that estimates immediate and lifetime savings, which helps customers make educated financing decisions.

Sunlux costs

Sunlux prices range from $24,900 to $35,000. Costs vary depending on the size of your roof and whether you purchase, finance, lease or prepay for your solar panels. If you decide to purchase, a $1,000 deposit gets the process started, and the remaining cost is due after the company installs your solar power system.

Sunlux regularly coordinates with clients to find loan options, working with partners such as Dividend and the Energy Loan Network. Federal tax credits are also available to lower construction costs.

Sunlux installation

Sunlux solar installation only takes one or two days, but the prep time can take up to six weeks.

1. The installation process starts with a visit to the location, where specialists survey for challenges and measure the available space.
  2. Within the following week, Sunlux designers draft a plan that matches the customer's desired aesthetic and efficiency.
  3. The company then applies for permits. Permit approval may take up to a month.
  4. Once the permits arrive, the company begins installing the solar energy system.
  5. Crews install mounts and wiring first and then attach panels on the roof.
  6. Once finished, the system must pass a brief legal inspection. Then, energy production can begin.

Sunlux warranty

Sunlux offers a 25-year warranty, which is long by industry standards. The warranty covers the panels, performance, maintenance, installation and parts. The company also guarantees energy production, which lets customers know the system will continue to produce the desired amount of energy. Sunlux also includes monitoring, which lets customers check on the performance of their solar power system.

Sunlux FAQ

What kind of solar panels are available from Sunlux?
Sunlux uses solar panels from Panasonic, LG and Q CELLS. The company carries a range of sizes and looks with distinct features to meet customers' needs. For example:
  • The 320 LG NeON 2 is designed to be less noticeable and has a monochromatic appearance and thin dimensions.
  • Panasonic's N320K Photovoltaic Module HIT BLACK has specific drainage features and may be ideal for rainy areas.
Where is Sunlux available?
Sunlux is available in California, including in Los Angeles, Irvine, Rancho Santa Margarita, Bakersfield, Valencia and San Diego, and in parts of Texas.
Does Sunlux offer energy monitoring?
Yes, Sunlux continuously monitors all systems. This monitoring allows for professional problem resolution as soon as possible.
Does Sunlux provide energy storage?
Yes, you can add solar batteries to a solar system. Batteries provide off-grid power and can be used in a power outage or all the time. Sunlux uses Tesla, LG and Enphase battery systems.

Is Sunlux worth it?

We think SunLux is a great option for those interested in clean, renewable energy. The company comes highly recommended by verified customers in California. Reviewers are generally satisfied with the installation and ongoing production on their systems. Plus, we like that Sunlux's financing, leasing and prepay options fit diverse budgets and can make it easier than ever to go solar.

SunLux Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunLux Energy?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

The customer service with SunLux Energy is outstanding. They're constantly on top of everything. They kept me apprised of every step that was being taken. My project manager, Berlin, was fantastic. What's shocking was that they buy the panels from a distributor and they don't tell you what it is. Once we were into the project, I got a certified letter stating that if SunLux doesn't pay their bill, I'm getting a $14,000 lien put on my house. It never happened because they did pay it but I was very aggressive at first with these people thinking I didn't do business with them. I didn't sign any contracts with them.

After doing a lot of internet research and so forth, I learned that this does happen if companies go belly up. Even though I didn't make any business with the provider of the solar panels, they have a right to put a lien on the property for their merchandise. SunLux provided me the document saying that it was paid in full then they forwarded it directly to the company and I didn't have to do anything further. But it is kind of scary when you're in a contract with a company like this and you get this in the mail, and they don't tell you that this is gonna happen.

The guys that came over were very professional but it took about two months until I went to full production because half my panels were wired incorrectly. They came out once and tried but couldn't figure it out. We had to set another appointment for about three weeks out. Then they sent a crew of two guys. They spent all day and finally found the problem. There was reverse polarity on one of the panels.

Having SunLux, I'm saving a lot of money. My payments for the solar panels might pay the rest of my life for these things but for me, my payments are $170 a month. My average electric and water bill every two months was between 1,100 and 1,600 for a family of three and a swimming pool. The electric portion of it was between 600 and 800. I got air conditioning last year and my bill probably would have been about 1,700 just for electric. Now that we have the solar panels, the most I've paid for electric so far has been $65. It's definitely paying off for me.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 24, 2020

I'm glad I didn't give up on my solar project because I almost did. Back in 2019, I was ready to move ahead with the project and went to Energysage.com get quotes. I've had over 10 quotes and I actually even signed up with another installer at the time (not SunLux) and started the project. Then shortly after the project started I was told they discovered my roof had issues so the project was cancelled. I cancelled in part 1) the installer didn't do roofing and I didn't want to deal with multiple contractors and 2) the unexpected cost in the project. And apparently, the installer wasn't too excited about either, it seem. I guess most installers out there just want the easy installs but that's not the real world out there.

I all but had given up. Then 6 months later I decided I give it another try and recalled Sunlux had given me a quote prior but never follow on it. Explained my situation to Tracy, my Sunlux consultant and he said my roof is certainly not an issue. He was very responsive to my needs, customized a system that I want and even had a great suggestion on the panel placement. How it looks is as important as the power.

So with contract signed, this is typically where most solar project fall apart (right?) and this is what I heard from my neighbors with their solar project from a different installer. Nope, not with Sunlux. The project moved quickly and it stayed that way. I got coordinated with the project manager Jennifer and she made sure all my concerns were addressed. Even with Covid, the project took no more than 3 months and the bulk of the wait is with permitting. Very happy with the overall install experience, pricing, and service. If you have a roof issue like mine I highly recommend you give Sunlux a try. Highly recommended!

Original review: June 20, 2020

The stock market was at 30,000, so we had a little extra money. I happened to get a glance at our electric bill, and I thought it was pretty high. I had been considering solar for a very long time, but it seemed it just got to a point where it was pretty efficient. It made sense that if I waited any longer, I'd be too old to buy. I was talking to SunLux and Sunrun, but it really was a matter of price and salespeople to a certain extent. I was going to go with Sunrun because they were affiliated with Costco, and I thought I'd have some recourse if we had problems. But when we ventured into it, the SunLux salesperson was much more knowledgeable and upfront than the other guy, and then they sweetened the deal by putting in a level 2 plug for electric car charger in my garage.

The whole process took almost two months from the time we’d signed the contract until the time it was turned on. A lot of that delay was waiting for the city to come take a look and sign off. The installation took a day. Solar always seems to make sense. My calculations say that we’ll break even in seven years. So, it's like prepaying your electric bill. It certainly is good for the environment. I'm also fascinated with the technology. In the morning, I wake up, and the first thing I do is go to the application where I can see how much energy we produced so far today.

There was a gal in the office, her name was Berlyn. She was holding my hand as we went through the process with the city, and she kept me up-to-date on exactly what was happening. She would go back and remind them that they hadn't done their job yet and she just communicated perfectly. Then after it was installed, there was another gentleman who called me to make sure everything was going correctly. The support was excellent. Everybody was friendly and knowledgeable.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

SunLux seemed the best fit for us. They were really kind when I called them. The rep explained everything in detail without being patronizing. He was really helpful with setting it all up. Then the person I worked with the most was Berlin and she was amazing. She would email and call and was on top of everything. They were great. I appreciate them.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

Service is one of the key items that I decided to go with SunLux and quality is one of them too. The sales guy was very approachable, responsive and always available for me if I have questions. The installation took half of the day. Once our local electricity company approved, they gave me a call right away and said they could come the next day. They came on Saturday morning around 7:00 and it took them until 1 o'clock or 2 o'clock. They cleaned up a little bit then they left. However, there is one issue. Once they had finished, one of my breakers was not being reconnected well. I had to call them to come back to put that back and they were very responsive. The next morning, they came again and fixed that right away. That's a plus for them.

I like SunLux Energy. I like the service that they have right now. Most of the contractors, once you've paid in full, they're gone. They never respond to your call. But SunLux still responds to my call. They still send me text messages every once in a while asking me how the generation is going. I like the way that they make sure their customer is well-satisfied.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

The SunLux reviews that I saw online were consistently good. There have been a few different people who have been involved with ushering us through the process. The initial person I spoke with was more of a sales guy, and then after that was somebody who was assigned as our primary contact for the process of going through and getting the analysis done, getting the license done, and getting the work itself done.

We have one problem at the moment, which is that they said that they were ready to turn on the system. It was a couple weeks ago that they said they were ready to turn on the system and that I should expect to be contacted within three business days by their operations team that would confirm that the system was running, and that I would be able to log in online to my account that had been created to see the statistics of the reporting that the system was running all that. I never got contacted by the operations team, and the online system still shows that the system is not operational. I have a contact who I've been emailing. I'm going to ping her again and see if they can give me an update. Everything else has been great. They did a good job through the whole process. I felt like they were taking good care of us, and doing a good job of staying on top of things.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

Southern California Edison was getting out of control with their rates and their charges. So, that's too expensive. I was looking through some research. I came down to two companies. SunLux was one of them. Then, when I talked to them, they seemed like a better choice. They had some better warranties. Everything was good with their customer service. I'm very satisfied.

Original review: July 24, 2020

They are actually very good for solar panel. Actually best, their qualified workers are really good. Their service was really amazing. I just loved it. Their behavior was quite good and they are pretty much professional.

Original review: July 8, 2020

The entire Sunlux team has been incredible from start to finish. During the sales presentation, there was no uncomfortable upselling or pressure by Chris. The installation process managed by Jen was seamless, and whenever there was an issue (all issues were minor) she took considerable effort to ensure our care and solve the problem. The roof and the panels look fabulous and they are producing as expected - we couldn’t be happier!! We received 3 other quotes for the project and Sunlux beat the competition in every category, which actually made me a bit nervous, but after going through the whole project, I am blown away that they exceeded my expectations. I would highly recommend Sunlux and Troy Roofing for any project you might have. Thanks Garrett and the entire Sunlux crew!!

Original review: July 7, 2020

I got three quotes on solar and they were all over the place. They were all like $10,000 difference, $15,000 difference. I decided I didn't know enough to actually get solar yet because I didn't know what it should cost. I found a website and I was able to compare four different companies in terms of what inverter they use and what price per kilowatt. This website made it so easy to compare the four companies across the board and it made sure I was comparing apples to apples. SunLux had the best reviews and one of the better prices.

Customer service was amazing and they exceeded my expectations on everything. We love our solar and I would love to share with people my experience with SunLux. They were beyond amazing. I had an inspection and I was out of town. I was trying to make it home so I could meet the inspector. SunLux had sent somebody out and he pretty much waited there for the inspector. I didn't have to deal with the inspector at all and made it so easy for me.

SunLux Energy Company Information