Vector Security vs. ADT Self Setup
Find Home Alarm and Security Systems near you
What is the difference between Vector Security and ADT Self Setup?
Vector Security and ADT Self Setup both offer a wide range of products and services for homeowners. Vector has a more limited availability area compared to ADT, which is one of the most well-known and most used security companies in America. However, Vector’s payment plans can be a big selling point for many individuals who can’t put down as much money upfront.
Installation and cost
|Upfront cost||$99 to $199||$179.99 to $579.99|
|Trial period||One-year warranty on equipment||30 days of free monitoring|
|Contract terms||Varies||No-contract options|
|Professional||Included||$99 to $199||One-year warranty on equipment||Varies|
|DIY||None||$179.99 to $579.99||30 days of free monitoring||No-contract options|
Monitoring plans and pricing
|Monitoring price range||$46 to $64||$24.99 to $34.99 per month|
|Monitoring options||Professional||Professional or self-monitored|
|Upgraded self-monitoring||—||Not offered|
|24/7 professional monitoring||Starting at $46||$24.99/month|
|Upgraded professional monitoring||$64||Not offered|
|$46 to $64||Professional||—||—||Starting at $46||$64|
|$24.99 to $34.99 per month||Professional or self-monitored||Free||Not offered||$24.99/month||Not offered|
|Wired or wireless?||Wireless||Both|
|Camera options||Indoor and outdoor cameras||Indoor and outdoor cameras|
|Glass break sensor|
|Panic button||Medical panic button||—|
|Wireless||Indoor and outdoor cameras||Not listed||Medical panic button|
|Both||Indoor and outdoor cameras||—||—|
|Smart thermostat||Compatible with Nest|
|Garage door control||—|
|Temperature sensor||Not listed|
|—||—||Compatible with Nest||—|
|Mobile app monitoring|
|Notification/alert options||Email, text and push||Push notifications and email|
|Home automation capabilities|
|Other integrations||Smart plugs||IFTTT|
|4.7||3.9||Email, text and push||Smart plugs|
|4.4||4.2||Push notifications and email||—||IFTTT|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||4.3||3.3|
|Verified customer reviews||Vector Security reviews||ADT Self Setup reviews|
|4.3||Vector Security reviews|
|3.3||ADT Self Setup reviews|
All information accurate as of publishing date.
Vector Security offers home security packages in the Eastern United States. Its packages are priced at a monthly rate, and monitoring and installation are wrapped into the cost. With Vector, you get access to more products per package than with some competitors, but its smart-home offerings are pretty limited.
You have the option to choose between a few different types of contracts, including ones where you pay for your system upfront to reduce your overall monthly cost. This flexibility is a good additional benefit. All three packages include the company’s SecurityCare Plus warranty plan, which includes free inspections, battery replacements and move services.
Vector Security packages
- Essential Security: The Essential Security package comes with a wireless control panel, three door/window sensors and a motion detector. Customers also receive yard signs and window decals. This plan starts at $44.95 and does not require an upfront payment.
- Home Automation: The Home Automation package includes the equipment from the Essential package plus a video camera and access to the mobile app for mobile monitoring. Customers must pay a $99 down payment with this option, and the monthly payment starts at $59.95.
- Connected Home: The Connected Home package includes a control panel, three door/window sensors, a motion detector, a video camera, a smart thermostat, a door lock and mobile support. This package starts at $69.95 per month with a $149 upfront payment.
What Vector Security customers say
Vector Security reviews on ConsumerAffairs show mostly positive feedback from customers. Common themes in reviews include compliments to the service technicians and company representatives, and many people note the attention to detail shown by employees. Some reviewers mentioned issues with troubleshooting the system and canceling their contract.
ADT Self Setup
When it comes to experience and expertise in the industry, it’s hard to beat the reputation of ADT. ADT Self Setup offers DIY installation, and the company does not require you to sign a contract. You can build your own security system package or choose from one of its preset packages.
ADT Self Setup plans
- Build Your Own: Starting at $179.99, the Build Your Own system offers the base station and the mobile app. From there, you can add your own equipment. This flexibility can be great for some customers. It’s $24.99 or $34.99 per month to add monitoring.
- Starter System: For $379.99, you can get the Starter System, which includes the base station and two window/door sensors. This package also includes ADT stickers and yard signs. Monitoring is $24.99 or $34.99 per month.
- Premium System: The Starter Plus System is $579.98 and includes the base station, four window/door sensors, two motion sensors, four window stickers and a yard sign. Like the other packages, monitoring is $24.99 or $34.99 per month.
What ADT Self Setup customers say
ADT Self Setup customers leave mostly positive feedback on ConsumerAffairs, with happy customers commenting on a knowledgeable staff, competitive prices and quick notifications with the monitoring service. Some customers commented about being billed for early contract termination and said they didn’t find the DIY system user-friendly.
Bottom line: Vector Security or ADT Self Setup?
ADT Self Setup doesn’t require contracts but does have pricy upfront equipment costs. Vector Security has a limited range of smart-home automation capabilities but includes an above-average warranty with each package.
- Vector Security is best for customers who aren’t able to put any money down at the beginning of their service.
- ADT Self Setup is best for someone who wants a DIY system with the flexibility of not signing a contract.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.