Vector Security vs. Frontpoint
Find Home Alarm and Security Systems near you
What is the difference between Vector Security and Frontpoint?
Vector Security and Frontpoint are two home security companies that offer a wide range of products and services. Vector offers more affordable monitoring rates and allows customers to combine them with the monthly cost of their system, which can be a big selling point. Frontpoint has month-to-month contracts and free installation, plus a 30-day trial. When comparing these two companies, it’s important to know how you prefer to pay and what is important to you in contractual terms.
Installation and cost
|Upfront cost||$99 to $199||$392.40 to $797.88 upfront; financing available|
|Trial period||One-year warranty on equipment||30-day risk-free guarantee|
|Contract terms||Varies||36 months (if financing)|
|Professional||Included||$99 to $199||One-year warranty on equipment||Varies|
|DIY||None||$392.40 to $797.88 upfront; financing available||30-day risk-free guarantee||36 months (if financing)|
Monitoring plans and pricing
|Monitoring price range||$46 to $64||$50/month|
|Upgraded self-monitoring||—||Not offered|
|24/7 professional monitoring||Starting at $46||$50/month|
|Upgraded professional monitoring||$64||Not offered|
|$46 to $64||Professional||—||—||Starting at $46||$64|
|$50/month||Professional||Not offered||Not offered||$50/month||Not offered|
|Wired or wireless?||Wireless||Wireless|
|Camera options||Indoor and outdoor cameras||Indoor and outdoor cameras|
|Glass break sensor|
|Siren||Not listed||Not listed|
|Panic button||Medical panic button||Panic pendant|
|Wireless||Indoor and outdoor cameras||Not listed||Medical panic button|
|Wireless||Indoor and outdoor cameras||Not listed||Panic pendant|
|Garage door control||Not listed|
|Temperature sensor||Not listed||Not listed|
|Not listed||Not listed|
|Mobile app monitoring|
|Notification/alert options||Email, text and push||Email, text and push|
|Home automation capabilities|
|Other integrations||Smart plugs||Amazon Alexa, Google, Siri, Z-Wave|
|4.7||3.9||Email, text and push||Smart plugs|
|4.4||3.3||Email, text and push||Amazon Alexa, Google, Siri, Z-Wave|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||4.3||3.8|
|Verified customer reviews||Vector Security reviews||Frontpoint reviews|
|4.3||Vector Security reviews|
All information accurate as of publishing date.
Vector Security sells three home security packages that include monitoring and installation in the cost. The website is a bit clunky, making it difficult to see specifics about most products, but packages appear to have more products than many of its competitors. Vector is only available in some of the Eastern states, so its reach is pretty limited. Information about contracts is unclear on the site, but it seems they’re usually required.
Vector Security packages
- Essential Security: The Essential Security package includes a wireless control panel, three door/window sensors, a motion detector and a SecurityCare Plus warranty plan. This plan starts at $44.95 and includes monitoring and installation. There’s no upfront payment required with this option.
- Home Automation: The Home Automation package offers the same security solutions as the Essential package and adds smart-home products, including access to the mobile app and a video camera. This plan starts at $59.95 per month and requires a $99 down payment.
- Connected Home: The Connected Home package provides a full approach to automation and security. This package includes a control panel, three door/window sensors, a motion detector, a video camera, a smart thermostat, a door lock and mobile support. This package starts at $69.95 per month and requires $149 down.
What Vector Security customers say
Vector Security systems garner many positive reviews from their customers. Overall, reviewers say they are pleased with the product and service and feel that Vector is a reliable company. A number of reviews mention the excellent work of the technicians who perform friendly and efficient work. Some customers have experienced issues with equipment that doesn’t work.
Frontpoint is a well-rounded home security company that offers nearly every type of product on the market. It also offers month-to-month contracts and a 30-day trial. Monitoring is a little bit more expensive than with some competitors, but the monitoring plan includes additional features like unique user codes and geo-notifications.
You can purchase Frontpoint’s equipment upfront and opt for a month-to-month contract or finance the equipment over the life of a three-year monitoring contract.
- Build Your Own systems come with a Frontpoint hub and keypad. Additional equipment, including cameras, smoke and heat sensors, glass break detectors and home automation devices, can be added for an extra cost.
- The Safehouse, Frontpoint’s most basic package, includes a Frontpoint hub and keypad, a motion sensor, two door/window sensors, a yard sign and three window decals.
- The Bunker comes with a Frontpoint hub and keypad, three door/window sensors, an indoor camera, a motion sensor, a smoke and heat sensor, a yard sign and three window decals.
- The Fortress is Frontpoint’s most comprehensive package. It comes with a Frontpoint hub and keypad, two motion sensors, six door/window sensors, an indoor camera, a smoke and heat sensor, a yard sign and three window decals.
What Frontpoint customers say
Many Frontpoint customers give the company favorable reviews, citing the ease of installation and helpful customer service they received when they needed help. A few customers commented negatively on the company’s confusing cancellation policies, which they say led to being unfairly overcharged. However, most customers felt they received good service from Frontpoint representatives and were happy with the product.
Bottom line: Vector Security or Frontpoint?
Vector offers unique streamlined capabilities when it comes to monthly payments, although information about contracts is very limited. Frontpoint is very clear about its options. Both companies provide good solutions that fit a variety of home designs and can be tailored to fit more specific needs.
- Vector Security is best for someone who prefers to pay monthly for their system and wants to work with professionals when choosing and installing a system.
- Frontpoint is best for customers who prioritize a no-contract option that comes with a large set of features.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.