SimpliSafe vs. ADT Self Setup
SimpliSafe and ADT Self Setup comparison
SimpliSafe and ADT Self Setup systems are wireless and designed for easy DIY installation. SimpliSafe and ADT Self Setup customers can opt for self-monitoring instead of paying for professional monitoring service from the company. While SimpliSafe offers a professional installation option for its wireless equipment, ADT Self Setup is designed for DIY installation. Both companies offer free mobile apps with access to your home cameras.
Installation and cost
|Upfront cost||Build-your-own systems start at $135 with interactive monitoring||$179.99 to $579.99|
|Trial period||60-days; 100% satisfaction or return for full refund||30 days of free monitoring|
|Contract terms||No-contract options available||No-contract options|
|DIY||Free||Build-your-own systems start at $135 with interactive monitoring||60-days; 100% satisfaction or return for full refund||No-contract options available|
|DIY||None||$179.99 to $579.99||30 days of free monitoring||No-contract options|
Monitoring plans and pricing
|Monitoring price range||$15 to $25||$24.99 to $34.99 per month|
|Monitoring options||Professional or self-monitored||Professional or self-monitored|
|Upgraded self-monitoring||Not offered||Not offered|
|24/7 professional monitoring||$15/month||$24.99/month|
|Upgraded professional monitoring||$25/month||Not offered|
|$15 to $25||Professional or self-monitored||Free||Not offered||$15/month||$25/month|
|$24.99 to $34.99 per month||Professional or self-monitored||Free||Not offered||$24.99/month||Not offered|
|Wired or wireless?||Wireless||Both|
|Camera options||Indoor and outdoor cameras||Indoor and outdoor cameras|
|Glass break sensor|
|Wireless||Indoor and outdoor cameras|
|Both||Indoor and outdoor cameras||—||—|
|Smart thermostat||—||Compatible with Nest|
|Garage door control||—||—|
|—||—||Compatible with Nest||—|
|Mobile app monitoring|
|Notification/alert options||Push, text and email||Push notifications and email|
|Home automation capabilities|
|Other integrations||Amazon Alexa, Google Home, August Locks||IFTTT|
|4.8||4.3||Push, text and email||Amazon Alexa, Google Home, August Locks|
|4.4||4.2||Push notifications and email||—||IFTTT|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||1.9||3.0|
|Verified customer reviews||SimpliSafe reviews||ADT Self Setup reviews|
|3.0||ADT Self Setup reviews|
All information accurate as of publishing date.
SimpliSafe specializes in complete home security solutions that are wireless and easy to install. If you’re not interested in DIY installation, SimpliSafe does have an affordable pro installation option for $79. You can choose from a selection of packages or talk with a security expert to build a custom system.
Optional equipment includes life safety devices and smart locks, and SimpliSafe’s systems are compatible with Alexa, Google Assistant, August Locks and Apple Watch. Customers can opt for self-monitoring or pay for 24/7 professional monitoring. For an additional fee, add visual verification to your monitoring plan so dispatchers can verify if the alarm is real.
- Build Your Own System ($184+) includes a base station and wireless keypad. You can then add other equipment separately.
- The Foundation ($229) includes a base station, a keypad, an entry sensor and a motion sensor.
- The Essentials ($259) comes with a base station, a keypad, three entry sensors, a motion sensor and a free HD camera.
- The Hearth ($374) comes with a base station, a keypad, a key fob, three entry sensors, one motion sensor, a siren and a smoke detector.
- The Knox ($449) comes with a base station, a keypad, a key fob, six entry sensors, two motion sensors, a siren and a smoke detector.
- The Haven ($489) includes a base station, a base station, a keypad, a key fob, four entry sensors, two motion sensors, a siren, a panic button, a temperature sensor, a water sensor, a smoke detector and a free HD camera. The system costs $489.
SimpliSafe also offers three monitoring plans.
SimpliSafe monitoring plans
- Self Monitoring with Video Recording (33 cents a day) lets you monitor the system yourself with the mobile app, but you must pay for video recording. This plan does not include 24/7 professional monitoring.
- Standard Monitoring (50 cents a day) comes with 24/7 professional monitoring, cellular connection and 24/7 police and fire monitoring and dispatch.
- Interactive Monitoring (83 cents a day) includes 24/7 cellular-based monitoring with fire and police dispatch. It provides unlimited camera recording, evidence capture and 30-day video storage for up to ten cameras. You can arm the system with Alexa or Google Assistant. SimpliSafe does not require a contract for this plan.
What SimpliSafe customers say
Customers who left positive reviews for SimpliSafe describe an affordable product that is easy to use and install. Unsatisfied reviewers expressed frustration with some equipment issues, including false alarms or equipment failure. While reviews are mixed, many customers say they like being able to monitor their system remotely through the mobile app.
About ADT Self Setup
ADT Self Setup is the DIY option from well-known home security company ADT. The company’s systems are wireless and designed for DIY installation. You can choose free self-monitoring with the mobile app or professional 24/7 monitoring for $24.99 or $34.99 per month. Video storage is additional.
ADT Self Setup systems use Wi-Fi home security equipment, including cameras and sensors. The systems come with a mobile app and are compatible with Google Nest Mini.
ADT Self Setup plans
- The Starter System ($479.99) comes with a smart-home hub and integrated keypad, two door/window sensors, a yard sign and window decals, the mobile app and one month of free monitoring.
- The Premium System ($579.99) includes the smart-home hub with an integrated keypad, four door/window sensors, two motion sensors, a yard sign, window decals, the mobile app and one month of free monitoring.
- Build Your Own System ($179.99) options include the hub with an integrated keypad and the mobile app. Door/window sensors are $14.99, and motion sensors are $24.99. Wireless indoor or outdoor cameras are $179.99, and wired indoor cameras are $99.99. The doorbell camera is $179.99.
Professional 24/7 monitoring from ADT Self Setup costs $24.99 or $34.99 per month. No contract is required.
What ADT Self Setup customers say
ADT Self Setup customers mention the company’s knowledgeable staff and competitive prices. They also note the monitoring service has quick notifications. Some customers say they had issues with equipment failure, but overall, customers on ConsumerAffairs say they would recommend the ADT Self Setup service.
Bottom Line: SimpliSafe or ADT Self Setup?
SimpliSafe offers a wider selection of wireless home security equipment, including life safety devices and smart locks, with DIY or pro installation. ADT Self Setup has a basic selection of wireless equipment and does not offer professional installation.
Systems from SimpliSafe include more components and cost more than systems from ADT Self Setup, but both companies make it easier to add additional cameras and sensors if you want to expand your system.
- SimpliSafe is best for customers who want a wireless home security system that works with smart locks and prefer to have it professionally installed.
- ADT Self Setup is best for customers who are confident in installing a wireless home security system and prefer to not be locked in to a long-term contract.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.