Get Started

2. Homeowners
  3. Walk-In Bathtubs

4.3/5 (329 ratings)

About Safe Step Walk-in Tubs

Safe Step manufactures and sells walk-in tubs and hybrid walk-in tubs with a shower option. Each product comes with a lifetime warranty on the tub frame, specific parts and labor. The company doesn’t show pricing information online, but homeowners can receive a quote after an in-home consultation. The quote includes the product and installation costs.

Pros

• Hybrid walk-in tub/shower option
    • Financing available
    • Lifetime warranty
    • Discounts available

Cons

• Only 10 possible hydro-jets
    • No pricing online

Bottom Line

Safe Step offers walk-in tubs and tub/shower hybrids with a variety of safety and comfort features, including hydro-jets and anti-scald technology. Each tub comes with a lifetime warranty.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-in Tubs?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

The installation took about the time they told me it would and the installers did a good job. The tub is as advertised but there are some things about it I still don't understand, like how to get music out of it. I understand there are some speakers in there and it’s got a Bluetooth. But I don't know how to utilize that thing and maybe somebody can tell me. It's also a little tight getting around that door going in, which is true for all walk-in tubs. And the old tub was a little easier to get in and out of. But overall, when you weigh all of positives and the minuses, I'm going to be glad I bought it.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

We were very satisfied with the installation. The husband and wife that came and put in our tub said that they've been doing this for 12 years and they were very, very efficient and very good. The only thing is Safe Step is costly. Don't get into this unless you want to spend some money. To me, they could be a little less expensive. The tub cost us almost what my mother paid to build the house I'm living in because it was built in 1966. But it'll be worth it in the long run. I'm thoroughly enjoying the tub. It's definitely a safe way to take a bath. It's very comfortable and very soothing in the muscles. It's relaxing.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I have two artificial hips and they give me some problems every once in a while. So, I figured the walk-in tub would help. I've had back problems in the past, too. Plus, I love taking baths. I had a bathtub, but it was so small that I couldn't fit in it. I called Safe Step up and inquired and they were very cooperative and sent us a good salesperson here. The tub was more expensive than I thought, but I took out a loan and that helped. It was a while to get the tub installed because they had to make the door bigger. They couldn't get the tub in unless they took out the old door and put in a new door. I'm still waiting for the door to be installed to the bathroom. I'm learning how to use the tub and it's a great asset. I really like it. It's just I like to get the tub a little hotter.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

The rep was very knowledgeable and helpful. The installers did a great job. They were consistent and diligent all day. They got the work done and cleaned up everything after they left. I absolutely love the Safe Step and the aesthetics and everything. It's relaxing and it works perfect in the space that we put it in. But I couldn't get the cartridge to open as nobody really showed us how to put the aromatherapy in there. But I finally figured it out.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

Safe Step has a good product and they have good installers. The tub is convenient for my wife to get in because she doesn't have a lot of mobility. She can get in the tub and sit and I don't worry about her falling down. But their customer service sucks. Once they sell you the product, it's near impossible to get anything done afterward. I had our second tub installed on October the 18th and the installer left a hole in the wall. Finally, after multiple telephone calls with the salesman, the customer service, and several other people, they agreed to come out today to patch the hole.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

All the features are very good, especially the jets. It also has all that other technology -- the sound and the music you can meditate and relax to. Also, it's easy to step in, keep from falling down, and try to get up the best way I can. It's very helpful as we get older. And I own a lifetime guarantee where I can call back anything. I'm very pleased with it.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

The rep was very good. She explained everything upfront about the lifetime guarantee. If anything happens to the tub out here for the next 20 years, they'd fix it for free. Within four and a half hours, the techs were taking out the old tub and putting this new one in. I love the way I can fill it up with water with Whirlpool. I wish it had a little more space width-wise, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2021

The sales rep came to my house and showed me videos of the warehouse where they made the walk-in tubs. And the guarantee that Safe Step has on the product got me. The installers did a decent job and all I had to do was move out of their way and let them do what they had to do. They didn't bother me at all and they cleaned up. It was very nice and good. The tub is wonderful and I love it. I like the jets and the lights.

I have elderly family that I hang out with all day and they’re all in their 80’s. They have their own apartments in senior living so they have a bathtub. When they sit down, they can’t get back up. So, all three of them can't take a bath. But they can take showers. Also, being big-boned and heavy, getting on and out of the bathtub was an issue. I've been taking a shower for two years and I'm tired of it. I want to take a bath, which was why I bought the Safe Step walk-in tub. I said that I might as well get it now while I have a couple of dollars than need it 10 years from now and doesn't have the money for it. I’m not my elderly family’s age but in 10 years, I will be and it's gonna be okay because I'm gonna open the door, walk into my tub, close the door, sit down and have me a bath..

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

The door of the walk-in tub doesn't close properly and you need a lot of force to close it. It’s also hard to stand up to take a shower and there's not enough room to put your feet. Otherwise, you're closing the drain. The walk-in tub is so flat where the shower and the faucets come out of and you can't reach your hand over because there's no lip to catch any of the water. These are the biggest things that are frustrating but other than these, everything has been good with Safe Step.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

I knew that Safe Step would do everything. I didn't want to just buy a tub like American Standard and then have to worry about getting a plumber and an electrician. It's terrible to try to find somebody. The installation team was great. It was Travis and Kim. They stayed until everything was done and they cleaned up after themselves. They were very polite. They were nice to us. Before they left, they had put the water in the tub all the way up to the top. They said, “Leave it like that until the next day. That way, we can check for leaks.” We did have a leak and they came back the next morning. It was just something needed to be tightened in the drain. They were very professional about it.

As far as the walk-in tub, I like the lights and the jets. I like everything. As far as Safe Step is concerned, I did not care for the lack of communication with me at all. It was terrible. I was very happy with the tub and the installation but I was very unhappy with the communication process with the salesman, the managers and the corporate office.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

The sales agent talked too much and could have gotten to the point at about half the time. He was one heck of a salesman and he was whiz-bang with his knowledge. We mostly ignored the installation and let the installers do their thing. They did fine and we just had to direct them what and where, and how to get to different places. There wasn't any mess leftover. The walk-in tub is lovely. It is a very nice product and people might be interested in getting one. I like being able to get in and out of it as opposed to getting in and out of a shower, which was difficult. Safe Step has been a nice investment so far. The walk-in tub is going to add to the value of the house when we sell it.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

I bought a ~$17,000 Safe-Step Tub/Shower combo and 90 days later it developed a serious leak at the bottom of the door. OK, no big deal, it's under warranty. 1 Oct: I called and was told to expect a call from a Maintenance Tech. I received a call from Safe-Step 2 days later (3 Oct) and was told a Maintenance Tech would call me during the work week duty hours. Wow, great service. I called 4 days later (7 Oct) to check the status and was told a work order had not been generated and would be done ASAP. I called again on 13 Oct to check the status of a call from a Maintenance Tech and was told a Tech would be contacted today.

I called again on 20 Oct and was told a Manager would be contacted to solve this problem. A Tech called me 5 minutes later, apologizing, and said he would be at my home in two days. On 22 Oct two Techs showed up, checked the tub and determined the door needed to be shimmed. It took two shims and the door was so tight my wife could barely close it and moisture was still leaking. The Tech wrote a Service Ticket to order a new door.

On 10 Nov I called to check the status of the service ticket and was told once again that a service ticket was never opened. The service person said: "Oh, it was never arranged, I'll take care of it now". I tried to get her to explain to me the process from the initial complaint to the resolution of the problem. I got apologies and was told a maintenance tech would contact me later this week. 41 days later and I am back where I started, waiting for a call from a maintenance tech.

I have been exceptionally patient and respectful when talking to all service people involved. You have tested me and I now have to say: I can't believe the incredible inefficiency this company demonstrates in dealing with customer service. I was once the Director of Operations of a national medical services company, responsible for maintaining the service of hundreds of millions of dollars of our high tech medical equipment in over 300 hospitals in 33 states. I know what customer service is, and you haven't got it.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

Two guys came out for the installation and they were amazing. There was a hole in the backside of the wall and they had to come back and fix it. When they took the tub out, they didn't realize that and we also have furniture on the side. But other than that, they did a good job. People should go for Safe Step. My mother finally got to use the walk-in tub a couple of days ago for the first time, only because there was no hot water going in. It wasn't on our end. It was on the hot tub setting. The water heater wasn’t big enough. We put a booster so, it was working fine through the whole house except the tub. But then, the water came in.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

When I called Safe Step. someone called me back immediately. A couple of times I didn't answer my phone ‘cause I thought it was spam. They kept trying to get in touch with me, which was nice. When I finally talked to a person, we got everything set up. However, there was a delay and the first scheduled date they had to install it, the tub didn't show up. They had to figure out where it was and get another one in. They couldn't get original background they ordered made in white anymore. They had to pick a plain one which was off to me. It was a little stressful on my parents because they had to reschedule the installation three times. But Safe Step went above and beyond when they installed it. There was a guy from Richmond that drove here and did it and even switched out a toilet for my parents, which he didn't have to do. That was extremely nice. My parents are really happy with the Safe Step walk-in tub.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

The two sales reps were as nice as you could ask for. The installation went good because the installers came in and tore out the old one, and left the new one out there in the garage. They were constantly busy all the time, back and forth. One was doing something and the other would come along and do something else. So, they worked well together. They were nice and cleaned up after themselves, which I love because I like to keep a clean house. They had stuff put down so they wouldn't mess up my carpet. I love my Safe Step walk-in tub. I can't do much with it right now because I have a shoulder I just had replaced but it’s wonderful. I’d get in, sit and let those jets hit my back. It feels so good, and my husband and daughter are enjoying it a whole lot. It’s been a perfect experience.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

Safe Step was a lot cheaper than Kohler. The sales representative that came out sounded like he knew a lot about it. It's just that the installers put these portions at the end of the tub to go to the wall, and if I touch the one as I'm going onto there, before the tub, it squeaks, and I don't know why. Then I don't get the tub filled up with water because I haven't taken that much time. It takes a long time to get water in it. They told me I had good pressure, but it just gets as far as to about where I'm sitting. Of course, I’ll have a lot of hours to sit that way to fill up, and then when my water bill came up, I probably couldn't pay it. So, I haven't worried about it. I do soap up and then I just take the shower water and rinse off. Other than that, it's a comfortable tub.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

The installation crew came a little late. They ran me through it quickly. The circuit breaker box that they wanted to hook into was not the kind that they needed so they had to get another one. They went all over downtown trying to find a circuit breaker that would match what they're looking for and that took them an extra three hours which was why they stayed till about 10 o'clock at night to get it done. This replaced an old Jacuzzi. I've been doing this for years and I enjoyed it. The one thing is, it's deeper, which I like. I can get it up all the way to my shoulders and lie down a little bit. I have recommended Safe Step to several people already.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

The sales representative seemed to thoroughly explain everything. My bathroom is in my bedroom and the installers had to cut the door on both sides to fit the bathtub into the bathroom. They did a good job except when it came time until I went to use it. It was a bit difficult for me, especially the handheld shower wand that doesn't have enough water pressure. I don't really like the hose that comes with it because it's metal and it continuously grates against the hole that it comes out of and makes that grating sound. The shower wand is also that shiny metal. It should have some kind of rubber grip on the back of it to make it easier for an old person to hold on to it. I also can't change the velocity of the spray that comes out. It's just one fine spray continuously. I was used to another kind of handheld shower that I could twist and get different water velocities, like fine spray or hard spray or solid water.

I also couldn't reach the hand bars that were put on the wall to help hold on while getting in and out because I'm short and I have short arms. I should have been consulted as to exactly the position where I needed those on the wall. Then, in the booklet with instructions, there are so many diagrams and it's confusing for somebody whose brain is not too good anymore. It could have been better for older people because that's what Safe Step aims at. I'm a little disappointed. But then I like that I can get in it instead of climbing three feet over a tub. I also like the shower thing that can be held in the hand.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

At the present time, I'm not very happy because I can't close my bathroom door any longer. I have since repainted my bathroom and I realized that the frame of the bathroom door was not properly reinstalled. I mentioned it to Safe Step a couple of weeks ago. The installers are at least an hour away from here, and with the current price of gas and whatnot, I offered that I could get my own guy to come and fix it. I haven't heard back from them. I'm expecting companies over Thanksgiving and I don't know how in the world they're gonna use a bathroom without closing it.

Also, when the guys came here, they used caulk, but I mentioned to them that I didn't want any caulk around the outside because it cannot be painted. They had gotten some of the caulk on the wall and on the woodwork and it took me forever to sand it down and take it back off. I wasn't very successful with some of it, but I just made do. If they used the caulk on the outside, they should have used a paintable silicone caulk, not the regular one. It is very difficult. I called my painting supplier about what to do and there was no suggestion other than acetone and I'm not using that.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

My experience with Safe Step was lovely. I don't think I've ever seen a more professional crew at work from start to finish, including cleanup. That was where I really got surprised. Also, the major thing that stood out other than the salesman that showed up was the timeframe. The turnaround was unbelievable between saying “Come get me,” and then they got me.

The tub is for my mama, and the biggest thing she likes is she can walk in and out of it. Stepping out of a tub gives her some serious problems. She can sit in the tub very comfortably. She enjoys the handheld shower and you don't have to sit in there long for it to drain before you can get out. So, she's quite happy with that. The comfort for the user is unbelievable, so don't think twice.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

The reps from Safe Step were courteous and nice and they did their job. We didn't have any problems with them. We had a few minor problems with the tub after they left, but it was taken care of. The big shower head wasn't tight enough, and whenever we turned it on, it would go down or up. Pressure would push it up or down. Then we had a problem with the plug in the tub. It wouldn't go down all the way, but we got that taken care of, too. The salesman that came and talked to us came back and he checked it.

We stepped on the plug to put it in, to make sure it would go down, and it worked. I guess because it was new, it was just a little difficult to go down by the button thing or the knob. I like sitting in the tub. The tub part I like the most are the micro things, the lights and the bubble things. I'd tell others everything about the tub. It's cool. I like the way it works.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

The installers from Safe Step did a good job, and they were nice boys. The tub's quality is alright. The jets just wouldn't turn off. I finally got them turned off, but it would run a long time before it would turn off. As far as cleaning the tub, it says put vinegar in it and run it full of water, but it holds 80 gallons of water. Then drain it. I sure needed a better way of cleaning it than run 80-gallons of water in it.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2021

I wait for a while to write this review about our walk in tub, but it is heaven sent! Best purchase we made for our safety in bathing. Yes, we are in the senior range of age. The price was reasonable and quick install, smooth transaction. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

Very nice telephone service personnel. From start to finish nothing went right: Installers took 3.5 days not 1-1.5 as quoted, didn't seem to know what they were doing, ruined walls/door jambs, broke new toilet cover, kept having to call in help. Tried to force us to certify satisfaction with job before finishing. Leaked 1st & every time it was used. Very costly. Removed by better company (Luxury Bath) within 5 days. Safe Step never lived up to guarantee, rectify anything, or talked to us.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi, Dianne. We're sorry to hear about this experience. This definitely does not represent the top-quality products and service we pride ourselves on providing here at Safe Step. We would like to hear more about what happened with your tub so we can make this right and improve in the future. Please contact us at info@safesteptub.com with more details about this experience and what went wrong.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

The salespeople were very professional and the installers did everything by the book. But water gets into one little groove that is molded into the tub and runs down on the floor. We just placed a sponge that catches it. Other than that, everything worked out pretty well. I'm a disabled vet and the nerves on my left side were pinched in my accident and my left leg was partially paralyzed so I don't have as much strength in it as I do with the other one. I've always had fear of bumping the wall and landing out in the middle of the floor. With this walk-in tub, I don't have much room but I don't have to worry about falling out. I can walk in and close the door. Also, my wife likes the hand shower part of the tub.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I love the tub because I can go in, bathe every day and not have to worry about falling or getting in and out. Since it's been installed, they did call and say they needed to inspect it. They were supposed to be here at the same time that we had doctor's appointment so that didn't happen. I haven't heard from them since. I was also trying to get ahold of someone in the finance department so that I could set up payments. I wanted to make regular monthly payments through my checking account online so that I don't have to worry about it.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

The sales rep was good. The second guy called me and I was gonna cancel the order because I was called my last name in the Marines and was kind of offended by the fact that he kept calling me that. The man who called me the second time was very apologetic and said they were going to send me out a gift card. I never got it but that's no big thing. The installers were good. They got here 10:00 am and left at 8:00 pm. They cleaned the bathroom beforehand, so they did a real good job there. When the tub first came, I thought it was small but it was big enough. I felt really relaxed after using it. I'm still experimenting on my Safe Step tub and I don't have the controls down yet but I'm getting there.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I love the microbubbles in the tub. I love the quality of the tub, too. The only downfall that I have is I wish it was a little taller or deeper where I could sit in it and get more of me in the water. I can't squat down and sit on the floor like everybody else does.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

We like that Safe Step is made in America and we've got a lifetime guarantee with it. We have the sales rep's phone number and card if we ever want or ask anything. The young man that drop-shipped and brought the tub in place was very good as well. Then a couple of days later, we had one of our local plumbers hook it up. I really like the shower and I like to get in it. It's just a lot of money. But we’re very pleased with it and we highly recommend it.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2021

The installers had difficulty getting the tub, and because they couldn't get it as quickly as they had promised it, they decided to install the one that was a little bit higher quality and I was really happy with all its features. The main person who was doing the main part of the installation had me and the other lady that lives in the other part of the house come in while he demonstrated how each feature worked and he did a good job on that. I like the back massaging thing. That feels really good. I tried out the lights feature one time and it was very soothing as well. There is also an aromatherapy feature, but I did not take advantage of that because I have asthma, and so I have allergies to some of the different scents. Then we had a power outage for about a week and I could not wait to get back in that tub because I had enjoyed it so much. Everything worked well.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Information