4.3/5 (194 ratings)

About Safe Step Walk-in Tubs

Safe Step manufactures and sells walk-in tubs and hybrid walk-in tubs with a shower option. Each product comes with a lifetime warranty on the tub frame, specific parts and labor. The company doesn’t show pricing information online, but homeowners can receive a quote after an in-home consultation. The quote includes the product and installation costs.

Pros

• Hybrid walk-in tub/shower option
    • Financing available
    • Lifetime warranty
    • Discounts available

Cons

• Only 10 possible hydro-jets
    • No pricing online

Bottom Line

Safe Step offers walk-in tubs and tub/shower hybrids with a variety of safety and comfort features, including hydro-jets and anti-scald technology. Each tub comes with a lifetime warranty.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-in Tubs?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

Mike was a smooth talker. The worst part was that they brought the wrong tub. So they took it back and we had to wait two weeks for the correct tub to arrive. They installed the correct tub but we had to wait five weeks for our receipt of payment. Now it's six weeks and we're still waiting for an amendment of our contract. Since they delivered the wrong tub the first time, we need an amendment of our contract when they delivered the correct tub. We have called many times to ask for an amendment of our contract. Not only that, but we're still waiting for it to be inspected. We don't know who's supposed to inspect it. They make promises but they don't fulfill them.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

When the salesman from Safe Step came, he told us that the people coming to do this installation would be certified plumbers and electricians, which was a lie. Neither of them was certified in anything. I asked them when they got here and they just do installation work. But the fellas were nice enough. I did have one issue with the way they did the work. They had to run an electric line across the outside of my home to run current in for this unit. I asked them if they were going to put that in a PCV conduit and the guy said they didn't work with conduit. The best they could do would just run the PCV line on the outside of the house.

There are PCVs that are designed so that they can be exposed on the outside but the code says they're supposed to be in conduit. This unit that's installed here is actually contrary to the electrical code. If some inspector comes by and looks at that, he would order that this whole be taken out and it would be up to me to pay to put it back in. That leaves a real bad taste in my mouth. Other than that, they had the work done in the day like they said they would.

But the salesman also told me about how roomy this was and how easy it would be to move around it but the space is so small. They say you can take a shower in there but I don't know how you do it unless you're a contortionist. There's no place to move. I've almost fallen in it twice. And the door is so small, I can't get through it. They said that door's advantageous because I can lean on it and so on but I'd rather have a big door where I can walk through it. The other thing is those water jets in there spray every place except where I need them. I had this terrible excruciating pain and I told myself that hydrotherapy should do something for that but the nozzles in that unit don't strike my body where the therapy needs to be applied.

The way they advertise this tub is absolutely fraudulent and I intend to report this to the Better Business Bureau. I tried to call the guy who sold us the unit but he wouldn't return the call. Then, I tried to contact Safe Step and I was put on hold and I never got ahold of anybody. I can't speak to anyone and I really feel like I've been taken advantage of. I was a lot better off having a shower stall installed in my home. It's just a matter of me expending electrical energy, wasting water to fill the tub, and then getting no substantive relief out of it except a bill for $20,000. It's a $20,000 boondoggle and if I knew what I know now, it wouldn't be in my bathroom. If there's anything I can do to discourage anyone else from buying one, I sure as the devil will do that.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

I had a Safe Step tub previously. My new SS Tub has so many new features! I love the aromatherapy, the microsystem. It drains so quickly! The shower is flexible and easy to use!. The lighting system is soothing. My neighbors are envious! Looks beautiful in my bathroom!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

Jill came and explained and told me how they work. By the time I was ready to purchase my tub, they had a lot of features added to it, which was comfortable for me to use. The installer was a very friendly person. I did call Safe Step back because they had to pull some of the areas from my tub so that it could get to the plumbing, and it wasn't sealed back properly. They said to take pictures and I took pictures but nobody came back to fix it.

The only thing is that you have to totally relax to take a bath in the tub because it takes a longer time for the water to run out. But away from that, it is very safe for me because I had two hip replacements and two knee replacements. One of my top reason for purchasing this tub is because I used to step over into the regular shower, and I slipped about an inch. It was so scary because I was home, and if I had dropped in it, I wouldn't have anybody to help me out. Another thing is that I can't use a regular bath to get into. So this is nice for me to sit and let the water fill up and just wade myself in it. So it's more comforting for me. The features are good, like the warm seat.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

We loved Safe Step's rep. He told us everything. And the people that came in and put it in the walk-in shower were great. I couldn't believe the way the contractors came out and did it. Usually, somebody would come in and put it in like they needed to. But they asked, "Where do you want this? How do you want this?" That just made it more personal. I was also surprised on how they put their cost down, made sure the floor didn't get messed up. Everything was great.

I thought I could do the walk-in tub because I really wanted it. But I can't because there's a five-inch step. I couldn't get in like I needed to. So I went with the walk-in shower because easy to push the knob down on the handheld. And it’s easy to get into. My scooter goes right up to it so where my leg doesn't want to work because I have MS. And I can get out, turn around and sit down. I have a walk-in shower in my other bathroom, but it has an inch and a half step in and I have to drag my foot across it. But my bathroom was too small. So we put it in my bathroom, which is a bigger bathroom off of my bedroom and it works great.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

I like the tub. It looks good. I also like the jets.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

There are a couple of things that are problematic, but I can work around them and I'm doing fine with my Safe Step tub. I'm a larger woman midriff. I don't have a lot of room to squeeze myself into a position to be able to open the door to be able to get out. Other than that, everything's fine. The quality is good because it's a great, seamless apparatus and it doesn't creak, leak, and move around. It seems to function great. The thing I like the most is the water whirling around when I'm done washing up. I have a lot of arthritis and the tub seems to help with it.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

I called Safe Step and they could do it within two months. So, I had them come and do it. They took care of everything. I got the roll-in shower. It's working out great for us. I can get in and out of it. I'd recommend Safe Step.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2022

The sales rep was able to find the perfect tub for my father and get it to him within a week and a half. They had it in stock over here in Albuquerque. My brother did the installation and the representative went over in detail what to do. The tub is working well.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

The sales rep seemed to be able to answer any questions we had and the installers seemed nice. The caulking could have been a little bit neater, though, but the tub is fine.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

We love our tub and the guys who installed it were amazing. But we started noticing that whenever we would drain it, it would leak at the bottom. One of the pieces on the hinges came off as well. I called the number that was on the website and I could never get through to a person. When I left a message, nobody called back. Ryan was the representative that we ordered it from and he gave me a number that he likes to use. That's when I finally got a human being.

The lady I spoke with was super nice. I asked if they could try to schedule somebody to come and check out our tub on a Monday and she assured me I would get a phone call. I never got a phone call. I called that Monday to ask if they were coming out to check on our tub and I got another lady who said she would follow up on it and that they would make sure somebody gets out here. Nobody came. Everybody has been super nice and I understand that those guys that installed have jobs. When they do the install, they're doing that extra and I understand there may be a conflict, but that's something Safe Step has to work on because we are not getting called back. It's a great tub but right now, I'm not happy.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

The installers did a wonderful job. They had to cut a big hole in my father's bedroom to get it into the bathroom, but they put a panel up so there's easy access to everything in it. It looks pretty good. The only thing was there was a shelf at the wall that I couldn't move. I told them, “Well, you guys would have to move that,” and they didn't. They didn't caulk the wall that they put up next to the wall that's in the trailer. They did leave a can of caulk, and I didn't ask them to. It took me several days before I found that, and I called him and that's when he told me that. But I'm disabled and my mother's disabled too, so we can't do it either. So it's like an unfinished job. But he said that I could take some cleaner and get the pencil marks off the wall.

The installers were very nice and polite. They explained what was insured and wasn't warrantied. They showed me how the things worked, filled it up, drained it, and cleaned it, and took pictures. My mother has been able to use it once. It's hard to get her in there. But once she got over being claustrophobic, it went pretty good. The quality seems to be pretty good. We use the micro and the air bubbles in the water and it seemed to work pretty good the one time we used it, and it drained well. It purges itself like 30 minutes after you use it.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

I love Safe Step. I like standing there with the water just running all over my head, all the way down my body. I got a girlfriend down in South Carolina who's interested in getting one.

Original review: July 29, 2022

The Safe Step tub is great. It is 10 times better than the American Standard. The installer was a little wacky, but in the end, he did a good job. I give him an A plus E for effort.

Original review: July 28, 2022

We like that Safe Step Tubs have a lower door and not hard to get in. Everybody we talked with had been 100% upfront to us on the tub, including the manager that came and fixed the door when it started leaking. A latch was loose on the door and we didn’t know it. He adjusted it and we've had no trouble with it since.

Original review: July 27, 2022

The sales rep was good and the installers were nice. You can't be in a hurry to get in and out of the tub. It's gotta fill up then it's gotta drain.

Original review: July 26, 2022

The sales representative was awesome. However, we only got to use the tub once because it leaked so bad. The first time I called Safe Step, they said it was our fault. But the second time, they're gonna come out and look at it. I have a lifetime warranty so they should not hesitate when I call and have a problem. I hope they’ll fix that Thursday. When it gets fixed, I'm gonna love it.

Original review: July 25, 2022

The installation went well. I appreciated the people that worked on it. It's a learning process using the tub and while I'm learning, funny things happen. I also have a question and haven't got the answer from the people that need to tell me. They installed a switch in my closet adjacent to the bathroom. I don't know what it's for.

Original review: July 24, 2022

The installation guys came and put the tub in, and the installation went well. They made sure everything was to my liking. I really like my new Safe Step tub. I enjoy it. I like that I could just walk in it. I like the Jacuzzi part of it where I could just relax my full body. I also like the shower part. It has the option to do a shower.

Original review: July 23, 2022

The Safe Step rep who came out to the house had a lot of information and pictures and testimonials. He explained it thoroughly and how my husband would benefit from it, and he went over the financing and payment. It went well. There were a couple of issues with the installation. There was a lack of proper communication. It was a complete remodel of the bathroom. So, the lack of information and explanation of how to prepare the bathroom between the company that installed it and my contractor was the issue. The installation was behind for at least a month, but it's done and I'm happy with it.

Original review: July 22, 2022

My Safe Step tub has helped my legs out. The only thing I don’t like about it is that I have to struggle to get the door closed when I get in there. My legs are still too big to wiggle in between the door and the seat. It’s just gonna take me time to find the right combination. When I do, it’s gonna feel great. The sales rep did a really good job of explaining what it was, how it worked, and how it helped other people with their circulation. The installers did really well, too. They got it done faster than I thought they would. They had access to the bathroom from an outside door. So, it made it easier. Everything went just like clockwork.

Original review: July 21, 2022

We like our Safe Step tub. The installation was pretty good and the crew was really nice. We like sitting down in the tub and being in that much water. The handheld part where you can wash your hair with it while you're sitting down is really nice. The shower part feels really nice, too. The tub's just a little bit too narrow for me.

Original review: July 20, 2022

When the sales rep came out, he did a good presentation. I like the grab bars and I love the jets on the tub. I took pictures and showed it to a couple of family members and friends. They were glad I got it. My heart only works about 20% so when standing up in the old shower, my husband had to get in with me and soap me off and shampoo my hair. It wore me out. I thought it would be a lot better if I could sit down. But right now, I can only sit in it for 10 minutes. I'm hoping I'll get more used to it. I wish the seat was padded though.

Original review: July 19, 2022

Everything went very well with Safe Step. I'm very pleased. The sales rep was great and the installers were awesome. However, I tested it out and the water didn't get hot enough for me.

Original review: July 12, 2022

I talked to Nick who works for Safe Step, there was an appointment setup for the 13 Jul 2022. My sister had setup the appointment for my mom, but when he called my sister to verify the appointment he was so rude to her, my sister told him maybe his company was not for us. My sister was so upset she called me. I called him to make sure that maybe there might be a misunderstanding. There was no misunderstanding, he was very rude to me right at the start. I told him, we don’t need to deal with him or his company. I suggest anyone wanting a product that Safe Step sells, to look elsewhere!

Original review: July 6, 2022

The salesman was very friendly and answered all of our questions. He gave us a few days to think about it where others that we talked to wanted to do it right away. The installation was very quick. I was surprised that there were two guys. They were here at 8 o'clock in the morning and gone by 4:30, and it was done. They cleaned up everything and it was great. I love the tub. The thing I like best about it is I could just sit in it. I've had knee surgeries and back problems. I can get the water level up over my knees and lower back, and just sit there. The only thing I would change if I could somehow, and I don't know how, is the design of the entrance door. It's kind of in the way. Once you get in, you got to swirl around behind it to close it.

Original review: June 30, 2022

Safe Step came when they said they were gonna come, and their guys did a good job of selling the product. They were very knowledgeable. They said the installation was gonna be about eight weeks, and then ended up being eight days. The installers also did a great job.

Original review: June 30, 2022

The sales rep and installers were very professional. For the installation, they had to come back because they found a defective part on the tub. But they were very nice and the quality of the tub seems to be very high. It was what I was looking for and I use it all the time. Aside from that, when we had one question, Safe Step's reps were able to help us over the phone with it. I would highly recommend them.

Original review: June 30, 2022

A gentleman by the name of John came out and when we saw the products, they looked pretty decent. John was very professional. He showed us all the parts and how well made they were, and he had a good spiel. But he never showed us a picture of the tub. I had a Jacuzzi tub but I'm in my 80s and I have trouble getting out of the tub. So I told him that I was looking for something I can get into and take a nice, hot soak. He went on about everything then gave us the information on the cost, which was a little over the top. Then, he told me the tub would be delivered to me within six to eight weeks. We met him on the 24th of February and I got a call telling me this tub would be installed on March 10th, which was way too soon because I expected it to be mid-April.

Then, I got a notice on April 4th from the permit department of Yavapai County saying I needed to go in to their site and get my permit so the job could be posted before the installation. But I told them that the tub had been installed already. So the issue here is the construction company, Cavalier Construction Company. They got the permit to install the tub but they didn't submit a drawing or blueprint on how it should be installed.

Now, I had an existing tub which I asked for to be removed and for the Safe Step to be placed in that same spot. But John told me that they couldn't place it that way and they needed to reverse it. In my mind, if you change the existing drainage, you need county approval. But Cavalier did not get Yavapai County approval to change the drainage. Consequently, Cavalier Construction came in on the 10th, pulled out my old tub, and carted it away. They had two men working here all day and they had my master bathroom sealed off completely with plastic tape so I couldn't see anything that was going on.

When everything was finalized, they called me in to look at the tub and I didn't realize that there was an issue. With my Jacuzzi tub, the side of it was a flat surface, but the Safe Step has two openings. One that's held with a little magnet, that narrow strip, and the access panel was blocked because it was butted up to the wall of our vanity in the bathroom.

On the 16th of June, the inspector, Brent, came in to inspect what was done and when he looked over everything, he told me the job is a failure. He commented that they must provide a dedicated 20 amp circuit to breaker panel with breaker identified and that an open tapping into an existing outlet supplied by a 14-2 wire is not allowed. So Cavalier piggybacked the electrical on me and didn't do it properly. His other comment was that they were unable to verify equipment bonding and that the tub must be located as to allow the removal of the access panel and have enough room to service the equipment. I've been working back and forth now between Sierra, the construction lady who oversees everybody, and the senior inspector from Yavapai County, about this. When I talked to the owner of Cavalier, Nick, he said there was no problem. He stated that the tub can be pulled out if work needed, or have the back slab removed.

Original review: June 30, 2022

I had a very simple conversation with Safe Step's sales rep and the installation was very rapid, though the tub wasn't working for quite a while. They thought it was a pump, they thought it was the switch. Finally, they determined that the electricians installed the wrong circuit breaker. It has been repaired now and the tub is working. I like that I can get in and out of it pretty easily and I have no problems with Safe Step, though I believe the original electricians were not really qualified to do their work.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Information