4.3/5 (184 ratings)

About Safe Step Walk-in Tubs

Safe Step manufactures and sells walk-in tubs and hybrid walk-in tubs with a shower option. Each product comes with a lifetime warranty on the tub frame, specific parts and labor. The company doesn’t show pricing information online, but homeowners can receive a quote after an in-home consultation. The quote includes the product and installation costs.

Pros

• Hybrid walk-in tub/shower option
    • Financing available
    • Lifetime warranty
    • Discounts available

Cons

• Only 10 possible hydro-jets
    • No pricing online

Bottom Line

Safe Step offers walk-in tubs and tub/shower hybrids with a variety of safety and comfort features, including hydro-jets and anti-scald technology. Each tub comes with a lifetime warranty.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-in Tubs?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Original review: April 15, 2022

The sales rep was okay, and while the tub cost a lot of money, I’m satisfied with it. It was up to my expectation and it does the job. However, I had to wait before I could use it, because when I first used it, the latch was too tight and it didn't go all the way down that metal strip bar. I thought it was secured and put water in. It flooded my bathroom several times, and I had to wait three weeks before Safe Step had someone come to correct it. That was really bad because I kept calling them. That was the one aggravating thing that I experienced from them. Finally, when I decided to call the finance company, that's when they sent somebody here. The guy came to adjust the latch on the tub then I was able to use it. I enjoy the tub. It makes it easier when I get ready to take a bath, and I feel safe.

Original review: April 14, 2022

The sales rep was very good. On install day, two guys showed up and looked at what they had to do. They went to work and knocked it out in three quarters of a day, and I didn't have anything to clean up after they left. Everything looked great when they got done. However, I need to call Safe Step and have them come out, because the tub is not getting warm enough for me. My wife also likes it a little hotter than what it's getting. Other than that, the tub is real nice. It has the air bubbles that come up and the pulsation massage at the feet and the back, which is really nice because I have back issues. I can change the color of the water too. It's got seven different water colors we can change it to, depending on our mood. It's also got the aromatherapy, a handheld shower, and a rain head shower up above, as well as temperature control so that the water doesn't get heated to a point where it would burn people.

Original review: April 13, 2022

I had an excellent experience with the reps and the installers showed up when they said they were going to be here. They took us by the hand and showed us all the things that they were going to have to do to the house in order to get the tub in. They didn't stop until everything was working. But I had another contractor doing work in the house and he made a comment that the installers used quarter moldings and his experience was that that was usually caulked. He said that over time, those plastic quarter rounds would turn yellow.

The only thing that occurred after the tub was in was the discovery that we did not have enough hot water to fill the tub and as a result, we ended up spending $3,000 on a new hot water tank. But that's okay. My baby is able to sit in the hot tub now. I'm completely satisfied.

Original review: April 12, 2022

My experience with them has been positive. The installers were very good. The spa feature is my favorite. But we need a bigger water heater because once I fill the tub, then my husband can't shower for a while. I recommend this for someone disabled.

Original review: April 11, 2022

I love my Safe Step tub. It's very nice. I like the jets. It makes me feel good. I like everything about it. I wish the door didn't take up so much room. I'm about 25 pounds overweight, but I know how to get into it really easily. I got a granddaughter I'd love to have to go in, but she weighs about 300 pounds, and I'm not so sure if she could get the door closed. You get to go in and get situated because that door takes the whole span. When you open the door and then close it, you've got to stick your tummy in and get your feet in the right spot. But once you get in, it's great.

The installers were very good. The first group that came was very professional. They cleaned up. They didn't use any caulking after they took some of the moldings off, but I guess they didn't expect to have to do that. The gentleman that put in the shower was very respectful. He was very respectful and very quiet, and he did a fantastic job. I really enjoy the product. Dealing with everyone was easy. Everything was fantastic.

Original review: April 10, 2022

The sales rep was great, and installation was good. It took most of the day for them to put the tub in because they had a bit of trouble. They had to remove some stuff out of my bathroom and resituate things. I like the Safe Step tub. I love that I can sit up and use it, and I can do exercises in it. It's not a lot of room, but I can push myself up and down with my arm so I can get some arm exercises. I also like the showers in it as well as being able to sit in there, and it does whirlpool around. So it gives me some benefits. I like the jets on my back as well.

There's a couple of things that I wish were different though. Unfortunately, my right knee is affected, and that's the knee that hits the door. There's no jet that hits that leg, and I really need it to do that, but just being able to sit in hot water is a good thing. The other thing is, it’s much smaller than I thought it would be. If I weighed 110 pounds, that would be fantastic. I'd be really happy and I’d fit in it great, but I weigh 230 pounds. So walking in it, I open the door and I have to turn sideways, squeeze myself around the back of the door, then close it. It's same thing with getting out of it. I gotta get towards the front where the shower is, open the door, and squeeze my way around that door again to get out, which is a little inconvenient for me.

I wish the door was a little bigger. It also looks like there's a little splitting in the seam where they put it together and did the caulking, so I’ll have them come back out and fix that part. Other than that, it's a great tub. My grandkids, my family and I use it. Sometimes I have to wait till 2 o'clock in the morning to use it because everybody else has been in it.

Original review: April 9, 2022

The sales rep explained the product and what it's all about, and it was a good deal. When the installation crew came in, they took the old tub out, put the new one in and were done quickly. No mess, no fuss. They did a good job. Also, the tub fit in perfectly, and I like the whirlpool in there. That's comforting. The shower is good with it too.

Original review: April 8, 2022

The salesperson was very good and the installer as well. He could have done the install in one day, but at 2:00 in the afternoon, he said one of the sides he was to put up over the wall had a broken teeth in the corner. He said he couldn’t in good conscience put that on the wall. He needed to go back to the plant, go back where he works out of and get a new one, so he wouldn’t do that in the afternoon. It was too far to go and come back 'cause it's an hour away. He came the next day and finished in half a day.

The quality of the tub is fine, but it took getting used to trying to remember all the buttons. I sprayed the bathroom floor when I forgot to pull the curtain before we turned on some jets, but we got it down pat now. I enjoy the tub, and we like especially the shower overhead. Just turn it on, jump in and take a quick shower without getting into all the other stuff. When you want a nice tub bath, you get into all the buttons. We're very satisfied with our Safe Step tub.

Original review: April 7, 2022

The rep was excellent and the installer was very good. They were very professional about the installation. I like the air bubbles feature of the tub. The only problem I can find is that there's a lip as you step into the tub. It’s a bit too high for me.

Original review: April 6, 2022

There are some problems. The caulking wasn't done really well. It's sloppy and it wasn't caulked at all at the bottom around the outside. Also, the tub is leaking at the door. Some of the workmanship they did when they were installing wasn't really superior. But other than that, we're pretty happy with the tub and the Safe Step brand.

The operator of the tub was stretching and she slipped off the edge of the seat down into the little hole. She just had shoulder surgery and that made things rougher because I couldn't pull her out with one arm. The handles of the tub were placed properly but she didn't have the strength to pull herself out. So, she got a visit from the local fire department and they were able to step over on the seat and two of them were able to lift her up and out. If there was a hole in the middle of the seat and you could stick a pole in there so she wouldn't slide down, that would be advantageous for her trying to stretch out. Like they do on a saddle, they have a saddle horn.

Original review: March 31, 2022

The sales rep lied. I asked him are the Safe Step tubs made in China and he said they’re made in Tennessee. When the boxes come in, stamped all over the boxes is, “Made in China.” The only thing Tennessee does is put things together then ship them out. I also found out the first time I go to use it that we had to get a bigger water heater. We couldn't use it for about four weeks while we were waiting for a bigger water heater to be shipped in. They finally got it in last Friday and this past Saturday was the first time I went to use it for a second time after I found out a month earlier that there was not enough hot water

The whole thing had shut down too. I got in it, pushed the start button, then it shut itself off. I got out and checked the breaker. The breaker was fine. I checked the reset switch on the tub and that was tripped. I pushed it and it started again. I was back in the tub then it conked out four times. I called Safe Step on a Saturday and they said somebody would get ahold of me Monday. Nobody got ahold of me Monday so I called again Monday. A woman said they'd get it over to somebody and they should be out the next few days. They were there the next day which was good. A friend of mine was thinking about getting a Safe Step tub for himself. When this was happening, he just looked at me and shook his head. But when they came over the next day and changed out the GFI on it there, he said, “Well, at least they’re quick enough.” Those two saved the reputation of Safe Step Tubs as far as he's concerned.

Original review: March 24, 2022

The sales rep who came out was open and he showed me the videos. I didn't realize that there were so many features in this tub, especially the Bluetooth with the music and the lights. Then, I was surprised that the installation was just one day. The installers were so kind, courteous, and informative. It ran very smoothly and they instructed us on how to deal with the tub. We're enjoying it.

Original review: March 18, 2022

Safe Step finished the tub. We were told everything would be perfect and they would put everything back. But they didn't do it right. The first two baths I took were fine. The tub was a little slow filling but that's probably our water. We had to put $1,500 things to the water tank too. The guy said there's a thing you can add for $150. When we called the plumber, there was nothing he could add for $150. But that's okay. I like the tub but it it didn't drain fast and you got to hold the handle up to make it drain. The rep was nasty when I was talking to her. She said I should pick it out and when I did, it went back and cut my finger. So it was not a good experience.

Safe Step sent a guy and he fixed all the holes that were in the wall because I complained about that. He went down and picked it out and said how many screws were showing. And he fixed the drain. But it was the same thing. The water drained so slow and you have to hold the thing up. It didn't work the way it did the first two baths I took. The first time I ever used the tub, I thought it would be easy. I pulled the latch to hold the door and the next thing I know, the water is all over the bathroom floor out into the hall. I know that I have to really pull on that thing to make it tight before I can start filling it. But it shouldn't be like that, the kid said, too. I told the kid when he was here and he said he was gonna send somebody out about it. I'm very unhappy with Safe Step because when I reached out, I didn't have a good experience. And we paid $16,000 for that tub. That's a lot of money.

Original review: March 17, 2022

We had a very enthusiastic salesman from Safe Step and he could sell an elephant to an ant. He was good and honest. He went over everything plenty of times, asked us this and that and the other, and he went down to the basement. We had two water tanks but the problem was only one would feed to the tub. We joined both of the tanks in series and that took care of the problem. We were gonna get an $8,000 tankless thing and my son came down in with about $50 of material. The people who installed the tub were absolutely amazing. They came on time and went right to work. They did such a good job. They had to run a line outdoors but everything worked once we got the cold water taken care of. It was perfect.

We finally got everything working right. We had a problem because half that tank would fill up with hot water and half with cold. That wasn't much fun. So now, we've corrected that and we've got plenty of hot water and my wife is in skunk heaven. She's trying to figure out all those buttons. Yesterday was the first day that my wife had been able to use it because putting the hot water to get to. There was a big smile on her face.

Original review: March 16, 2022

It was explained to me that the installers could do the installation in one day. However, since I was redoing that bathroom, I needed that team to work with the other contractor, which was still in the rest of the bathroom. The prep work was done and then they came in and set the tub but upon my request, it had the flexible pipes and whatever on it that could be moved. The tub was manipulated a little bit away from the wall for the new tile work to be put in and then it was put back against the wall. Then they came back in and they finished their work, which made a perfect, beautiful installation.

Original review: March 15, 2022

They installed the tub and they explained everything to us when it was finished. They filled it up, showed us how the jets worked -- all the buttons, what they did, and how to adjust the temperature. They were very meticulous and they made sure we understood everything about it. The jets for the back and the feet really feel good and the microbubbles are fantastic. It gets a lot of the dead skin off. Then when we let all the water out and clean around, we make sure everything's done and out with the little handheld shower thing. We really feel good when we get out.

Original review: March 14, 2022

The installers were very professional and nice people. They did a great job and everything is working well but I’d like for someone to come and inspect the tub to make sure it has been put up there properly. The reps were saying something at one point about somebody coming and inspecting it and they haven’t done that so far. But everything else is okay. I like the jets in the tub and that you can take a shower. I love my tub. I took a bath very seldom. I couldn’t take a bath in my other tub because I had to get on my knees and pray to God I could stand up. In this one, I’m sitting on a seat and when I finish, I just stand up. I'm pleased with my experience with Safe Step. I can’t even wait to get home and get in the tub and relieve the stress and the pain.

Original review: March 13, 2022

The sales reps and installers were very good, quick and clean. All the features of the Safe Step walk-in tub are good and the one that has very little mini bubbles are supposed to clean your skin. The finished product seemed like it's a good unit. It's not something I use every day but it's interesting and it's what I thought it was.

Original review: March 12, 2022

The reps from Safe Step came and put in the walk-in tub. They did good but when they picked my commode up, they dropped it and busted it. It took probably two hours along through the job. I checked it out and everything when they left. Then, I waited till all the RTV and everything that they used to seal, which was two and a half days, before I used it and it leaked. I cleaned everything and tried it again, and it leaked again. It took about a week to get somebody to come in and check the leak and fix it. The guy who came in did the right thing. He adjusted the door and I hadn't had a leak since. But this is right off when I spent $20,000, which is not the service I thought I was gonna get. I would not recommend Safe Step to anybody. It was probably two weeks before I got to enjoy the tub.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi David. We're sorry to hear about the trouble here. We always strive to get any issues taken care of in an efficient, timely manner. We never want our customers to be stuck with an unusable product. If there is anything else we can help with or if any other problems arise, please don't hesitate to give our service team a call at 1-800-989-5101.

Original review: March 11, 2022

The sales manager was not pushy and was extremely helpful into helping us make a decision. The installation was flawless. The two gentlemen that did all the work were very professional and clean. In a little more than a half a day, they had everything completely done. You would never have known that they even did a demolition in order to put everything back in. They seemed very knowledgeable of what they were doing. We love the new tub. It takes a bit of water so we don't use it every day but we try to use it as often as possible. I would highly recommend Safe Step to anybody who's looking for a walk-in tub, whether it's for themselves or for a senior member of the family. It turns out that my wife and I and her mom, who we originally were thinking to buy it for are getting good use out of it.

Original review: March 10, 2022

My husband loves the Safe Step walk-in tub. It has the six jets, the sprayer, the shower and the sense thing that you can hook up the music from my phone into. It's a very nice unit. The reps who did the installation were very nice and friendly. They came in here and did their job.

Original review: March 8, 2022

The installers were professional and pleasant. They left the bathroom pristine. We’re very pleased. As for the bathtub itself, I did not think that I was going to care about the extra features but it turns out that they're my favorite part. The aromatherapy and the micro bubbles were optional. But the price differential wasn't that much and I figured I don't want to have to want to bump it up someday. I went ahead and got them, thinking I wasn't going to care that much about them. But they make it a whole experience. I also really like that they had enclosed the workout video. If I was going to add a feature of some kind, the temp could be improved next year when they sell it. It's so loud and the bubbles are going, it would be nice if music was piped in through the pillow head wrap so that you could attach the Bluetooth and the music would come in close to your ears instead of having to have it on the other side of the bathroom.

Original review: March 7, 2022

We called Safe Step to see what it would cost to get a walk-in, so they made the appointment to come and talk. The guy came and he was here for hours. He gave a spiel and we had purchased the product before he left. All we wanted was an estimate and we were going to check different places, but nobody would give you an estimate without coming and talking to you. So, we didn't even get a second estimate. Plus, he guy wouldn't leave till we said yes. Then, it was about a week or so before they came back. But that was no problem because they had to almost take my bathroom apart to get it in. We knew it was going to happen and we have two bathrooms, so that was not a problem. The guys that came for the installation were marvelous and it took them all day. They were like part of the family.

I love the tub and I spent about an hour in it yesterday. But it doesn't take all that much water. I would use that much water in the shower, and I have used it as a shower also. But I love the fact that you can just sit and enjoy and, at the same time, get a body massage. I needed to spend more time getting to know the controls though. I was standing there and watching the installer. He already had the tub filled up before I went, then he would show me the different things to use. But he was just the installer and he didn't know everything about the tub.

On the first time I got in it, I flooded the bathroom. I didn't close the door all the way and I thought I had the lever down, which I pushed as far as it would go, but I needed to put a little weight behind it before and push it all the way. So, I thought that I closed it and started the water running. It started filling up and when I looked out, there was water all over my floor. But that was okay as I cleaned the floor same time I cleaned myself. Other than that, the walk-in is gorgeous. It's so pleasing and with the water massage, I don't think I wasted my money. It will also increase the value of the house if we ever sell it.

Original review: March 6, 2022

The installers got the wrong tub and had to wait. They got it in one day, and they stopped and came back a couple of days later, finished putting it in and threw stuff out, all my personal belongings all over the floor and never picked them up or kept them. And they busted my electric razor but wouldn't reimburse me for it. I tried to talk to them and all they said was, "That's not in our contract. We have to go by our contract." I said, "Come on now. You can spend $50 or something buying me a razor." They said they would have somebody come out and see the razor and talk with me about it, but nobody showed up. Nobody called back from them. So I just said, "The heck with it." If somebody wanted a recommendation, they won't get it from me.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi Dan. This is upsetting to hear and definitely does not represent the level of service or respect we like to provide to our customers and their homes. We want to hear more about this situation and how we can make things right here. Please send a message to info@safesteptub.com so a member of our dedicated team can help get this straightened out.

Original review: March 4, 2022

The guys were personable and knowledgeable. They were phenomenal. One guy sat there and told me all about it. Just perfect. I had an issue after and he was there the next morning working on it. Every one of the staff they had was top-notch. We're younger, so we fill the tub up first. But it fills up quite fast.

Original review: March 2, 2022

The rep was very good. Also, the installation was very smooth. The crew was here for two days and were very friendly. We like the look of the shower. And the tub is better than what we had. We like it very much. We are very satisfied. I would suggest Safe Step to our friends and everybody.

Original review: March 1, 2022

The rep was fine, and the installers were good, too. However, using the tub seems very costly. My plumber said he could have put it in for half the price.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

The rep should do more sales and less personal talking. I ordered the tub on September 30th. Safe Step gave me an October date for installation. They postponed that until November, then in December, again in December, in January. I finally got the tub on February the 8th and it was scheduled for February 7th. The installation took three days. The work was really lousy. They damaged stuff in my home. It was a nightmare. I would never ever deal with them again. Go with another company. Maybe the other branches are better. But I would think twice before going with them.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi, Nancy. Let us first apologize for the trouble. This does not at all align with the way we like to care for our customers and their homes. We want to hear more about this experience and get any remaining issues resolved. Please give our service hotline a call at 1-800-989-5101 or send a message to sst-service@safesteptub.com. Our dedicated team will help get everything ironed out and hopefully make things right here.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2022

The installers were nice people. It took them only eight hours to install. They explained how to use the tub. I like to have it when I want to relax and use it.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

The team was good. I liked the rep. He was a good guy. I have to get a water booster, so I haven’t used much of the tub. I couldn’t fill the tub with hot water. I can’t turn the jets on until the tub is full, and the water turns cold before it gets full. But once I get the water booster, I will like it.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Information