2. Homeowners
  3. Walk-In Bathtubs

4.3/5 (331 ratings)

About Safe Step Walk-in Tubs

Safe Step manufactures and sells walk-in tubs and hybrid walk-in tubs with a shower option. Each product comes with a lifetime warranty on the tub frame, specific parts and labor. The company doesn’t show pricing information online, but homeowners can receive a quote after an in-home consultation. The quote includes the product and installation costs.

Pros

• Hybrid walk-in tub/shower option
    • Financing available
    • Lifetime warranty
    • Discounts available

Cons

• Only 10 possible hydro-jets
    • No pricing online

Bottom Line

Safe Step offers walk-in tubs and tub/shower hybrids with a variety of safety and comfort features, including hydro-jets and anti-scald technology. Each tub comes with a lifetime warranty.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-in Tubs?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

The installation crew was very nice but the caulking job for $17,000 was pretty poor. It was not very professional at all. We're waiting on some things to be corrected and for someone to come next week to address a leak. We've got some construction going on so our second bathroom is not ready yet. We're shower people but we are using the tub while we have construction and it's really not conducive for a shower with the way the water splashes around.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

Getting down in a regular tub and getting up is a little bit harder. We had a Safe Step walk-in tub installed and that was good. Someone came out and it didn't take him as long to get the job done. I like our walk-in tub and my husband enjoys it. It's soothing and very relaxing. It's nice and it has Bluetooth on it.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

Safe Step's sales rep and installers were very good, and since we got the tub, it's been much more relaxing. But the cost is overkill and if you call with anything that's wrong, they don't send anybody back. You have to do it yourself. There were a couple of issues and they tried to talk me through it on the phone. Everything's been fine but when you're spending that much money, a technician should come.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

I had a very nice and thorough sales rep. But he misjudged the ability to get the tub into the small space that I had for it to go to. That prevented the installers to install the tub. They weren't very nice. I have a back porch so I decided to make a spa room out of that and put the tub there. I had to have some plumbing done. I really like where the tub ended up so I'm glad it couldn't fit in the bathroom. But that could have been a problem if I didn't have that other space.

The tub didn't work when the installers first installed it. The door and another part leaked. We had to wait for new parts to come and new people to come out and install it. All of the people that came were very nice and competent. It was just I had the first installers, the second installer then the third technician before the tub finally worked. Safe Step needs to work on its installation process. I call one department and they would refer me to another department. They wouldn't always tell me the same thing. It was really quite a go-around on the install process. They're getting people from here and there. Scheduling is difficult too. I kept dealing with the issues until it finally worked. That aside, I'm loving my walk-in tub. It's wonderful and I thoroughly enjoy it.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

It took the crew one day to put my walk-in tub in, then they come back the next day. They wanted to check the thing that held the water for us. We had our other tech come out to check it, too, and he said they had it wrong. But they fixed it and so far, the tub and the shower work.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

Our experience with Safe Step was horrible. It took them three days to do the tub. They had to take my mom's smaller door out and put in a larger door because the tub wasn't gonna fit through there. My mom has carpet down and they cut the carpet out in the corners. They also left the baseboard uncompleted. They were in the shower working on it and they stepped and had their feet dirty. So left a mark on the shower. My mom had to clean the footprints off. They put their working bag on top of the toilet seat, which was a brand-new cover that was just put in there last year and left marks that cannot be taken off.

I called them and told them about the situation. I ​never heard another word back from them at all. It was like they got our money, they got the tub in the house and they just don't care. My mom also doesn't like the tub. She said it's not big enough for her. So we're gonna have to go ahead and finish paying for this and eventually, down the road, push a stand-up shower in there for her, with a seat.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

Safe Step was in this area and they could install the tub, so bought from them. I also like the fact that I could get in and out of the tub, since I'd fallen three times with the new house I moved into with the tub that was there. My sales rep was Patrick and he was wonderful. He went through all the different material in addition to the material that I already had and he helped me through all the steps of getting what I wanted.

Then, I had three guys here for the installation. First off, they came in and laid down tarps everywhere in the house they'd have to go through. Then, they dropped the tub in and made sure that I could get in and out of it before they went about tearing out the old tub and different things in that wall. After that, they were in the crawlspace underneath and found a damaged pipe. They repaired that while they were down there setting everything up, then they put in and tested everything. They were here for about nine hours because the door wasn't feeling right for them. It hadn't been adjusted at the factory. I've also used the tub now for about three weeks and I noticed that I have a leak in the door. And if you're sitting in the tub with the air and the water going, it will bubble up the back. So, you have to have an extra towel on the floor there that you can soak totally as it comes up the backside of the tub. I've got to get a hold of Patrick about that.

Other than that, they did such a nice job with the installation. My cousin stopped by later that night and admired all of their ground work. This is a guy who's particular in his contracting job and he told me that I need to make sure and give them a special thank you for all the work they did. So far, I like the jet action on the tub because I can't get around anymore. I am wheelchair and walker-bound, so I like that can get in and out of the tub. And with the bubbling and even sitting there, I can do bicycle with my legs and give myself a little bit of leg exercises, which I can't do other than there. I've also recommended Safe Step to people who've been in the house.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

The sales team of Safe Step was fine. But the installation, we've had a guy already come out and had to take all the caulking out and replace it. He did a better job than the first guy that installed it. Then now, when they’ve taken the old tub out or put the new one in, they must have hit the bottom molding on the wall facing the front of the tub. The bottom baseboard is all torn up and a piece of it came out of the wall. I've tried to get somebody out here to fix it. I talked to Josh today and he said he would take care of it. He’s gonna call. But I haven't heard back from him.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

The crew who installed my Safe Step walk-in tub did a good job. They were in here and out in three hours. At my age of 77, the tub makes a world of difference.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

The installation of our Safe Step was wonderful. The guys that did it were really super nice and everything went well. The quality of the tub is good. I like sitting in it for about five minutes or 10 minutes, just relaxing.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

It sucks. They never let us try the Safe Step tub before they actually installed it. Then, they said, "Wait 24 hours," then, when we went to get in, the door scraped across our legs and almost left bruises. To get in, we had to climb up on the seat and onto the back of the tub and then close the door and climb back down. I tried to get them to take them back, they wouldn't do it. I told them we didn't like it, we don't fit, it's not big enough and takes a half hour to fill it. The guy said, "If you want, we won't take it back 'cause it's a part of your house. But we'll take it out and replace it with the bigger one at no cost." Right now, I'm refinancing the house. I'm gonna pay it off, tear it out and donate it somewhere.

Original review: July 31, 2021

The installation of my Safe Step was okay, but they destroyed my house. I'm dissatisfied with Safe Step. I'm putting in a regular tub again. But I gotta replace the tile.

Original review: June 25, 2021

The installers did a good job installing the Safe Step walk-in tub. They started at 8:30 and they were done at quarter to 2:00. I use the tub every time I take a bath and I like it. It's great.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

We work hard to give our customers a great experience through and through. We're so happy to hear that you're enjoying your tub, Garnet!

Original review: June 23, 2021

I had no problem with the sales rep that came out but the installation did not go as well. The install guys cut off our hallway shower-tub combo from the water completely and only hooked back up the tub. And they cut our shower off way above. Also, they didn't cover the drain for the tubs and got all kinds of crap that clogged up the tubs. It took 24 hours to drain. We had two different guys come out from Safe Step to fix it - Ron and Chris - and they were both great. Other than that, my grandmother is enjoying her walk-in tub very much and she feels so much better after getting out of the tub.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi, Elizabeth. We hate to hear that your install didn't go flawlessly, but we're happy that things are going well now. If you or your grandmother run into any issues, please don't hesitate to let us know!

Original review: June 22, 2021

Around the edges of the bottom border of the toilet, where they were supposed to have come and caulked it, all of that was off around the front. The sides are good. But the front looks like I had the tub separated at the bottom. And I got tired of calling to say something is wrong. But they sent someone back. He caulked the back of the tub. ‘Cause they were here to tighten the tub because the stool itself when you sit on it, rattles and shakes. The man that came back the second time said the guy didn’t tighten up both sides of the stool that was why it was shaking so bad. After he put the water tank in, he checked it and he did a much better job of tightening it up. I like the Safe Step tub. It's very good. I don't have to have anyone to assist me to get in and out. I just take my time and get in and out of it good. It turned out nice.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

We're happy to hear that we could get this issue resolved for you, Florine. If you need assistance with anything else, please don't hesitate to call us or send an email to sst-service@safesteptub.com.

Original review: June 21, 2021

We did our due diligence on the walk-in-tub purchase. There's the Home Depots and Lowe's and companies like that out there and when you look at their pricing, it seems like it's a lot less, but then you have to tack on hiring somebody to install it and having the guarantee. Plus, Safe Step is an American company and they're all manufactured and distributed in the United States, and they employ a lot of veterans. That was big for me.

The warranty is great. If someone decides against Safe Step, they need to make sure that they got their warranty covered because I have never seen a warranty like that one before. It didn't hurt to have a lifetime warranty on everything on that tub. And if we ever decided to move, as part of the warranty, they'll come out and relocate that tub to another house. That was huge for us. The guy said that they've had a couple of people who called to schedule because they were moving and they called and canceled because the people buying the house saw the tub and checked it out, and decided they'd pay the extra to keep the tub.

My wife uses the tub about twice a week, even though we have other tubs and showers. I've used it three times, maybe once a week. We didn't have injury or rehab or limitations that kept us from using the other equipment, so I would do it again. One of the problems that I always had with the hot tub and spa is that you open it and you get it going, and it might be 104 degrees when you open it up but it never stays hot enough. But this one has a heated seat in it and it recirculates the water when you have the jets on, and so the water always stays hot. The whole time I'm in it, the water never gets any cooler. I enjoyed that part of it so I would recommend Safe Step.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Thank you so much for the great review, Todd. We're so happy to hear that we could provide you with a satisfying Safe Step experience!

Original review: June 20, 2021

The two installers were very good. But when I got in the tub and turned the air and the water on, it was pushing too much pressure against the door and the door was leaking. The installers sent it way back to the factory and got a new door. Then the new door was reinstalled along with the new molding. So far, it hasn't leaked. But when you walk in the door, it shoves you up in a little corner and to get the door shut, you gotta get up on your tippy toes to shut the door. Also, it takes an awful long time to fill the tub up. But draining it has good speed.

As a walk-in tub, it's not made to be so you could get in with a good, old washcloth and a bar soap and take a good bath. It's more of a toy or a gimmick for the people, or with people that have aches and pains that the sauna or the jets of air or water helps to alleviate some of the pain. My Safe Step walk-in tub is a little small and I'm hoping it’d be a little larger but it seems to be doing a good job. I've lost a little bit of pain compared to what I had two months ago. I am satisfied except for the price. It seems a little high for what you're getting.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Thank you for your feedback, William. We're happy to hear we could get the issue with your door resolved. Please let us know if there's anything else we can assist with!

Original review: June 19, 2021

Safe Step’s brand has the ability to climb into the tub. It's like not stepping over a hurdle. The installers were fantastic. I didn't think that they could do it in a day, but they did. I've got a small bathroom and they did a few measurements and slapped that thing right in. It's pretty expensive to buy the tub. But it's well worth it because I can sit down in that tub and not have to worry. Before I got Safe Step, I couldn't take a bath because I was sitting on the floor, and it was hard for me to get up. I had to slide my arm over the top of the tub, and then slither out on the floor. But now, it's so good that I don't have to do that stuff. I'm thinking about getting one for my mother too.

I'm a disabled veteran and I've got quite a bit of mobility that I'm missing. But the Safe Step tub is really cool. It takes care of everything. If I wanted a shower, I just step in the tub and take a shower. If I want to soak it up, I can do that in the tub. At first, I thought about getting the shower alone. But I'm so glad that I got that walk-in tub. You won’t believe what a difference it made in my life. I love that tub. I like the rainfall shower and the wand. The jets are fantastic. It's like having a Jacuzzi. It has micro-bubbles too. My arm is feeling a lot better.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi, King. We’re glad you found the right product for you with Safe Step. Thanks for being a great customer!

Original review: June 18, 2021

The salesman convinced me that Safe Step was good. But I still can't use the tub, and I told him about it. They were supposed to have people out here six weeks ago. The door is too hard to close and open. Also, the drain on it is not right. I was anticipating using the tub at least every other day but it takes too long to drain. Safe Step said that they would respond to me but they haven't responded. It's a lot of money to pay for something that can’t be used. I'm not happy. I've been hoodwinked. The reps are soothsayers. They say stuff that you want to hear but it doesn't work. My sister and brother-in-law were planning to get one of these and have it put in, but after all this time and me not able to use it, they canceled getting one.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi, James. We apologize for the delay, and we would like to get this issue resolved as soon as possible. Please reach out to us at sst-service@safesteptub.com so we can help.

Original review: June 17, 2021

The installation guys were very polite. They answered all the questions. They were very careful with everything. They put sheets down to keep the carpet clean. They kept the door closed even though my mom told them the air conditioner was off and they didn't need to worry. They cleaned up their mess and swept up everything. I couldn't be more pleased with them. My mother is 85, and my brother is disabled. Both of them are doing real well with the walk-in tub. My brother has increased bathing. They both have aches and pains, and both of them are diabetic. So it’s a nice deal.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

We work hard to give our customers a great experience with us from start to finish. We’re so glad to hear this from you, Beth!

Original review: June 16, 2021

Updated on 07/07/2021: Issue: Tub will not turn on half the time. They took TWO months to send someone to do a repair. Nothing but excuses and the runaround. They promise to call back and set up repair appt. but NO ONE ever calls back, return texts or emails. We had to file a complaint with the BBB in order to get a return call. Now the FIRST time using it after repair...NOW it is leaking! Water coming out from under the tub onto the bathroom floor and dripping through ceiling into the floor below! Thank goodness we saw it right away or serious damage could have been done to my home! First it doesn't work at all half the time, now this. Unit not even a year old; nothing but problems from the very beginning. DISGUSTED. Wish we'd never purchased it! HOW long will it take to repair this CORRECTLY??!! Fix it right or take it out and give us a refund!

6/28/21 Update... After more calls being ignored, the salesman and AARP consumer advocate got their attention. Two people came. First we sat down and went over everything. The woman tried to tell us that maybe we just slopped water all over and that was the "leak". It was insulting at best. We are not ignorant slobs who cannot follow simple use instructions. She ate her words when the panel was opened and a loose connection was immediately obvious. Other issues were also found that previous repair person had not fixed properly. Discovered jets had not been working fully the ENTIRE TIME since day one!

After the repair, it seemed to work fine with quick test, but at first real use, same issue of it not turning on half the time is still there and getting worse. Have to turn it on and off a dozen times to get it to actually start. Sent video of issue to tech. He said they have to order another part. Corporate does not allow them to stock parts??!! He said he would try to get it sent overnight and repair this week. I am not holding my breath.

7/7/21 Update: Repair was to be done 7/3. Never showed up; texted after 3 pm to say he got sick Friday night, would call Sunday or Monday to reschedule. It is now Wednesday afternoon and nothing and my calls to him yesterday IGNORED! We can NOT use the tub at all now. THIS IS INSANE! I have never had service so poor in my life.

Original Review: I had a tub installed in October 2020. Within a month, they had to come out and repair the drain. In May I began having issues again. Tub will not turn on 50% of the time and makes odd noises. Tech came out and said a part was either defective or installed wrong from the start. Now almost 2 months later, it is still not repaired and is not useable. Every week, they tell me the part is coming tomorrow, Monday or within a couple of days. They tell me someone will call me back in a couple of hours. NOT ONE person ever called me back. The latest...I was promised it would be here this Monday, someone would call to schedule the repair and given a tracking number to show they did order it. The tracking number does NOT exist! Waiting for a call back I know I will not get. They have left me no choice but to start filing formal complaints.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

We're sorry to hear about this. We always strive to provide top-quality products and service to our customers, and this does not measure up to that. Please reach out to our service team at sst-service@safesteptub.com with the details of your issue so we can get this resolved as soon as possible.

Original review: June 16, 2021

The salesman was pushy because he said to us that we would only get the lifetime warranty if we signed with him right there and then on that day. I don't like that kind of sales tactic. But we took the lifetime warranty, so now, we're covered. I'm glad we did because, so far, we've had 80% of problems with the tub and the leaking in the door area. It took a long time before they were able to fix it. It still might be leaking so I have to double check on it. So, until this gets completely resolved, at least I know that I'm covered for anything that breaks on it. But the installers were wonderful. They were here when we needed them. Their professionalism was better than the salesman's.

We're here in New York, so labor is very expensive. I figured that a lot of the price that we paid to Safe Step was contributed to the labor. We had to have the old tub removed and the back walls had to come out and they put up all-new sheetrock in the room. So that is a lot of money to do that here in New York. We're pretty satisfied with the product. It's a beautiful piece. It could be made a little bigger because we have a little trouble getting our torsos in and out at the door area. They could add a few more inches front to back and it would be perfect. My husband said there's a nozzle in the seat that could be recessed.

I wouldn't recommend Safe Step to anybody directly because of the cost. Not everybody can afford that tub and installation and what we did. We did it because we're disabled and we needed to have something that we could get in through a door. The fact that the jets are there too adds a little extra comfort to us. It's a little added benefit and my husband really enjoys the microburst. But I couldn't recommend it to younger people. It's specifically designed for older people who do have trouble getting in. Their ads are directed to the older population. I like the shower because I'm used to showering. The shower is nice. All of the controls are in a good spot. I got to get used to the bars for holding on, but they are there.

Original review: June 15, 2021

When the salesman came to our home to tell us about the tub and the cost, we specifically asked him if our current water heater was large enough to accommodate the tub, we told him our water heater was 40 gallon, he even went downstairs to look for himself and told us it was large enough. Well, it is not large enough, once the water gets to my lower leg it turns cold which to means the water heater is not big enough. In my opinion that salesman KNEW the water heater was not big enough because he also said some people have to get larger water heaters but you don't need one. Well, we do need one, most walk in tubs hold 50 gallons of water so a 40 gallon tank is not big enough.

Be aware of the sales people from this company, Darryl L. **, the representative who came to my house in my opinion was not honest and now we have to get a new water heater. If we had known this, we would have reconsidered the purchase and got what we needed BEFORE we got the walk in tub. Mr. ** just wanted to make that sale, so do your research and be aware.

Original review: June 14, 2021

I called on a Monday to get an appointment to have a salesperson come out. Two days later, the salesman was here. He said, "Ideally, it'd be wonderful if we could get this in sooner rather than later." He initially had said four to six weeks. But it was a little over two weeks when they were able to install the walk-in tub. So the timeliness of getting it in for us was really appreciated. Also, I got along well with the installers. They were very cordial. They got the work done on that day. They had to remove an existing garden tub out of there. They cleaned up. I was impressed with the crew. Safe Step is considered the top of the line of all the walk-in tubs out there. It's going to pay a little bit more. But from what I see so far, with the benefits and all the features of this tub, it's definitely worth it.

One downside is that Safe Step still doesn't have the shower curtain for the tub yet and a couple of features weren't working. The power drain control was not working. Also, the lights weren't working. They came out with a new module yesterday, and the lights worked but the power part of the tub drain still does not work. The manual one still works as it always has. But they're going to have to come out and change that drain module out. They're going to have to pull the tub out. So that's gonna be a big deal. So they'll be here a good portion of a day to accomplish that. The only inconvenience for us is to get that scheduled. But the company will be taking care of that. I appreciate the determination to get everything right.

Original review: June 13, 2021

The sales rep was the guy who looked at everything. I asked him what would be the best place to put the tub in, and it was in my wife’s bathroom, so that was what we did. The installation was kind of slow. The installers were here for two days. They got here late and started late. On the second day, they left after 12:00 PM. That was crazy. But I like all the tub features because it helps my legs out. The best one is the water jets. It's the best for the legs. But it’s hard to set up the tub because you really need a tank-less water heater for it. We got a 40-gallon tank and it takes a bit to fill up. But I found out how to do it. I get the water higher than I want it to get. It just took a while to figure out how to fix it.

Original review: June 12, 2021

The installers did a real good job. They kept everything cleaned up as they went. My wife uses the tub more and she has a good experience with it. If people can afford Safe Step, I'd recommend it. If they had issues with different things, they’d be able to help them.

Original review: June 10, 2021

We had one salesperson come and he did a good job. The installers were wonderful too. They were going to wear a mask, but we've both been vaccinated, so we told them they didn't need to. The walk-in does what it's supposed to. Unless I'm doing it wrong though, the control might be off, 'cause when you press one thing, another action occurs.

Original review: June 9, 2021

Our salesman, Ken **, was very knowledgeable and answered our questions. He's been very nice. We like the tub. Our favorite feature is the handheld shower and the upper one, too. We like being able to use the shower when we want to do something faster than soaking. Overall, it has been a good experience.

Original review: June 8, 2021

Our tub was only there about seven years, but we're getting older and for safety, we wanted a different type of tub. The sales rep, Rob, was very good. The guys that were working here were great too. As far as safety though, I hit the side of the tub and I cut my foot. The outside base of the tub must have been rough and I had a little puncture where my ankle on one foot was cut. The next time, it was on the other foot and it was the same area. Other than that, we're happy with the tub. We like it.

Original review: June 6, 2021

I talked to two different people that had the Safe Step installed and they were happy with theirs. We got one too. My husband is in a wheelchair and we thought we could get him in there and give him a bath and shower. Plus, the whirlpool would help him physically. We had the installation done after three or four weeks because we ordered the Bone which was a special color along with a different finish on the hardware. The installation itself went well and it was done in a day.

We used the walk-in tub six times and it was wonderful. But we haven't been able to use it a whole lot because the door is not holding water. I kept noticing water in the bathroom door and couldn't figure out what it was. I had difficulty closing the door ever since we got the walk-in tub. One day, the water was just gushing out and it went under our carpet. I thought I didn't have the door closed right. I tried it again the next day and it was even worse. I took a picture of the problem and sent it to the installer. He told me to report it and tell Safe Step that we needed a new door. I called Safe Step and they have one on order. Since we got the Bone color, that may be taking a little bit longer. The lady I talked to said that they should have the door installed. But I haven't heard anything back from them.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Information