4.3/5 (194 ratings)

About Safe Step Walk-in Tubs

Safe Step manufactures and sells walk-in tubs and hybrid walk-in tubs with a shower option. Each product comes with a lifetime warranty on the tub frame, specific parts and labor. The company doesn’t show pricing information online, but homeowners can receive a quote after an in-home consultation. The quote includes the product and installation costs.

Pros

• Hybrid walk-in tub/shower option
    • Financing available
    • Lifetime warranty
    • Discounts available

Cons

• Only 10 possible hydro-jets
    • No pricing online

Bottom Line

Safe Step offers walk-in tubs and tub/shower hybrids with a variety of safety and comfort features, including hydro-jets and anti-scald technology. Each tub comes with a lifetime warranty.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-in Tubs?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Original review: June 8, 2022

My Safe Step tub is a little too short for me but I like it. I got it for my wife because she gets cramps in her legs. The quality is great. The carpenters that put it in were experts. My house is worth about $2 million, so I was kind of concerned about them installing and cutting all that out to put that in and that they might not do a good job, but they did a beautiful job. Everything was good.

Original review: June 7, 2022

The installation of our Safe Step was great. They showed me how to use it and did a good job. I love it.

Original review: June 6, 2022

The installation went well. They did a very good job, and I’m very pleased with them. We're doing well with the tub too. We love it, and the main thing we like is the jets. My husband has toes amputated off both feet so it's great for him to get in and soak his feet.

Original review: June 6, 2022

The installation of our Safe Step could not have been better. From the very beginning to the end, the gentleman who came to get the information and to measure for the installation was absolutely fantastic. He told us exactly what to expect and when to expect it. It was a flawless installation. I could not have asked for a better group of people.

When I first got it ordered, I ordered the tan or bone-colored step-in tub. Four days later, I was in my bathtub and I thought, "Whatever possessed me to order a tan tub." I called my original guy that sold it and I asked him if it was possible to change it to white. He thought it was not too late and that he would verify and then send me an amendment to the contract. I waited but nobody ever called me, so I was not sure if it was ever gonna be white. But when the lady called to let me know what date exactly it was being installed, I asked her, "Is it by any chance white?" She said, "Oh, yes, it's white." Other than that, everything was perfectly fine.

Original review: June 5, 2022

The sales rep from Safe Step was very professional and he knew the things I was going to ask ahead of time. So, he was prepared. The installers were fast. They came in, they saw what they needed to do, and they got it done. They showed us how the tub works and left the information. I just wish I had thought of one thing when they were here. I was thinking it would be nice to have another bar on the top. I gotta wait to call them for that because I got to have them come out and do it. So far, there were a few things I wish they had filled in on where the holes were. At the bottom where the tub fits in, there was a nice little gap. But they did what they were supposed to do. Also, it's too expensive but other than that, it's nice. I like the heated seat while you're waiting for the tub to fill up. It'd be nice if it could fill them faster. I sit there for a good 10 minutes at least.

Original review: June 5, 2022

I called Safe Step and the guys were very good and did it in a heartbeat. They knew what they were doing, which is the best part. It was a very nice experience.

Original review: June 4, 2022

Safe Step's sales rep and installers were very good. We like our walk-in tub.

Original review: June 4, 2022

The sales reps were great and everything went well during the installation. The installers did a lot the first day but they had to come back and finish up on the second day. We like everything about the tub and the only issue we have is it’s a little hard to close the door when we get in. There isn't much space or room and we have to turn to the side to get the door past us to shut it.

Original review: June 3, 2022

I have a Safe Step walk-in tub, which I got a few years ago for my wife who became disabled and is in a wheelchair. That was difficult for her to get through that door without assistance. We have a shower that has the regular glass door and I couldn’t help her really get into that. So, I got the Safe Step walk-in shower so that I can put her wheelchair right up to where she needed to be, and she could just get up, twist 90 degrees, and sit down on her shower stool. I really love it. Unfortunately, she never got a chance to use it.

For the walk-in tub, the first time their installers came out, they didn’t know what they were doing. They were talking about digging big holes in the wall to run the power down. I called the young lady that sold me the thing and she had a local crew that was available. They came out and did one small hole in the wall just to put a receptacle in. I've recommended them to several people. In fact, I asked for that same crew when I ordered the walk-in shower. They did an absolutely tremendous job. Everything was about as clean as I get around here. They left it as good as they found it.

Original review: June 3, 2022

I called Safe Step and the reps came out and assessed what they could do. They were perfect as far as telling us what we're going to have and how they're going to do it. They came in when they said they would be here and they came in with their crew. They took out the shower which we had in there. They even had to take parts of the doorframe off but you wouldn't know it. Everything is perfect. The tub fits right exactly where the shower was. They never touched my vanity place at all and didn't have to move anything. It's exactly the way it was except it's brighter, clean and white. So, I changed the colors to light blue as far as the rug. When they were done, I couldn't be happier. I never dreamed that they would get this done in one day and they cleaned up. Everything is beautiful.

Safe Step are wonderful people to do business with and you get exactly what they say. Everything is spotless and you wouldn't even know they were here. They had a close up this window and put a wall. My husband is singing his praises all the time. He loves the place, which is a good addition to the house. My husband loves the walk-in tub. He's in it all the time. It’s got so many jets. It is a miracle how the jets hit the right spot, especially around the knees. So, he's enjoying it because he's perpetually outside. I'm handicapped and when I got hurt, he built a whole ramp for me out the back, but that meant putting a door on and railings out there, and he just never stops. I love a shower and I like to wash my hair in the shower and I'm all rinsed off. But my husband loves it because his legs are bothering him. So, this is the best thing we could have done. It's everything that people could possibly want.

Original review: June 2, 2022

The sales rep and installers of our Safe Step were fine.

Original review: June 1, 2022

The purchase of our Safe Step was great. We liked our sales representative and the installation went very smoothly too. It was a few weeks ahead of schedule. They said it could be up to eight weeks. But we got it after six. We also enjoy the tub. It's my mother-in-law who mostly uses it and she really enjoys using it. It's helped her a lot. It's also helped take some of the stress off my wife of having to help bathe her.

We had to have one of the technicians come back out because one of the heater elements in the back came unplugged. But they came right out within a couple of days and got that repaired. My only issue was they had set up an inspection with the county here, and we weren't informed. So, when they came, no one was home to meet them. We're having to work through them again to get that rescheduled. But the installation was very professional. They were great. They got it done in one day. We were very happy.

Original review: May 31, 2022

We're having trouble with the drain. When you try to drain, it will stop up the tub. But when you try to drain it out, it doesn’t drain out. I called the name on the Safe Step brochure and she told me to pull the drain out and tighten up the screw a bit. I did and it worked a little bit. But then the maid came and she was cleaning the tub that we told her not to bother with, because we think it’s touchy. But she may have stepped on the drain and something happened there. It happened again when my husband got it in last night. He had trouble getting out of it.

I don’t like the tub that much. Once I get in it, it’s fine. It’s just getting in and out. It’s made for a thin person. My legs are just barely on the too fat side to squeeze in that door and close that door. But my husband seems to like it. He feels safer getting in and out of it. It’s easier for him because it’s so short and he’s a small man. However, every advertisement on the television says you get a free showerhead and $1,500 off. But we didn’t get $1,500 off. We paid $20,000 for that tub. But the men that put it in were very professional and fast. They didn’t take up our whole day. It was a nice-looking installation job.

Original review: May 30, 2022

I'm not very happy with Safe Step at all. We had it installed on April 1st, and up until a couple of weeks ago, I was only able to use the tub once. The pipe that was bringing the water in flooded the whole floor. It was not installed correctly. They finally got somebody out there and they fixed that part of it. But then because of being flooded and the water dripped for so long, the mechanism got all shorted out and that didn't work so we didn't have any heat in it and jets and nothing worked in it.

Somebody came in now and they fixed that. They put a whole brand new mechanism and then after that, you’re supposed to have this pump button that you push for a quick drain and that was broken. They said they fixed it, but they said, “Empty half the tub before you can use it.” What good is that? I sit there for about half an hour for it to drain before I can use the fast thing. I would never recommend it. We have well water here so it takes 35 minutes for the tub to fill up to be able to use the jets because it has to go up to a certain level to use the jets. It also takes too long to drain. You also have to have at least between a 40 and a 50-gallon hot water heater. They responded fairly quickly within an appropriate amount of time. But it's still not worth the $18,000 that we have to pay for it. The only good thing that I really enjoyed about the whole process was the salesperson, Blair. He was really nice.

Original review: May 29, 2022

The gentleman who showed up is one hell of a salesman and he sold us. $18,000 isn’t pocket money. The install was good, and I haven’t had to call them back. The only thing I had a problem with is in the instructions, it says underneath the door is the white plastic plug. I take that out, make sure it’s clean, and put it back. However, there’s no way possible of putting that back. It doesn't go back once it’s out, so every time I go in, I have to be sure it’s sitting in there when I close the door or it will leak. My wife tried to help me put it back in and make sure it was stable, but it was loose. Other than that, we’re very happy with the tub. All I do when I get in it is I play with the buttons. If people really want a walk-in tub and can afford it, I would recommended they get a Safe Step.

Original review: May 28, 2022

Safe Step was amazing from the very get-go. The installers left everything so clean when they left, and they went through what I was supposed to do and gave me all the instructions. They did a wonderful job, and it looks beautiful. The tub is amazing, and I love every single thing about it, especially the Bluetooth.

Original review: May 27, 2022

The sales rep came to the house and showed me everything about the Safe Step bathtub and shower unit. A lot of it was photos on the computer. He was here for a couple of hours and we went over everything. The tub was installed a month ago and I like all of its features. I slid in my bathroom floor twice before I got used to it though. Usually, I run a tub of water and I get in, but I don’t do that with the Safe Step. Now, I have to get in, then run the water.

Original review: May 26, 2022

The installers were upbeat and amazing. They were a great bunch of kids. They did a great job and beautiful work. It was a joy having them over. I love the tub. Our only problem is that we need a bigger water heater. It's amazing just floating in the bathroom. I love it. We've got the skin of a 50-year-old now.

Original review: May 25, 2022

In short, the most egregious issues with Safe Step Tubs of Minnesota, Inc. is that they came to splice wires from their newly installed heated jet tub to a bathroom outlet. One GFI services two bathrooms. They did not pull permits. They did not have their work inspected by the city. The general contractor's license was expired when work was performed.

The tub needs to be on a dedicated circuit. It is what I demanded, it was what was promised and stated as standard practice for them, and it is required by building code. The company will not return calls. The tub sits, not connected to power. Full payment has been demanded twice each time stating that the job is complete. It is not.

Original review: May 25, 2022

The installers seemed to know what they were doing. But for our first experience with the tub, we had a flood already. So it wasn't too good. It's a lot to comprehend right away. You're gonna have to do it slowly. The door on the tub has that handle and it needs two clicks. It has one click, then you got to pull it a little harder. You have to force it. I wasn't aware of that and that was where we had the flood. The water came through the door.

Original review: May 22, 2022

We thought the Safe Step salesman was great when he came out to sell us the tub, but he was much less than great when I called him when they were installing it. They were having problems. The installers first installed it in the wrong place. When I went in to look at what they had done, I asked why was it so far away from the wall. It was not where it was supposed to be. It was supposed to be where the old tub was. They said my water lines come up above the floor, and the tub wouldn't sit on top of those water lines. I told them they've got to do something else because I didn't want the tub all the way out, that far away from the wall.

The installer called his supervisor and they were on the phone. Meanwhile, I called the salesman ad he was a totally different person. All of a sudden, our house was constructed poorly, and that was not his problem if we have lousy construction. He was gonna call the supervisor of the installers and see if they could come out and reconstruct our bathroom. He said, “We're not in the business of remodeling or reconstructing. We just install tubs.”

I told him I didn't want a remodel or reconstruction of my home. He sold me a tub that was supposed to fit in the space where the old bathtub was. It was not fitting in the space so I told him he could come and take the tub back. He said they couldn't do that. I told him they could pay for whatever it would cost to fix the installation so that it could be installed where he told me it was going to be installed. He kept repeating the same thing over and over again so we stopped dealing with him.

We dealt with the installers after that. I told the installer I didn't understand why they couldn't put the tub where it belonged. He said a metal bracket right there was stopping him from doing that. I told him to move the metal bracket. He said he'd have to get approval from his boss to do that which was what he ended up doing. This was after about two hours of my mother going berserk because she just spent $20,000 for a stupid tub.

It's way too much money to pay for the product now that I've seen it. I would not recommend to any elderly person to spend that much on this product. It's highly overrated. I was thinking it was gonna feel like being in a Jacuzzi but the jets are not very strong. Also, the tub will not fill up with hot water. We have a 50-gallon hot water tank. The salesman told us it would be plenty but the hot water completely runs out before the tub is filled. We even went and turned the water heater up as high as it will go and t it's still not hot water. It's just kind of warm.

When I used the bath once, it leaked. I called the number that I'm supposed to call for service and they sent someone out. He was a very nice gentleman. He came out and refilled the tub. One of the jets had come off on the bottom. He replaced the jet. But we couldn't duplicate the leak. He filled it up twice and drained it twice, and we could not find where the leak was coming from. I was asking him if it could have had something to do with the foot jet not being in place. He said he didn't think so but now the jet is in place, it's not leaking.

Original review: May 21, 2022

The Safe Step tub was installed in one day. We're kind of surprised that it takes so much water. We have a small water heater and it only fills it up just a little past my husband's ankles. You have to wait until the water heater gets hot again for another 10 minutes to fill it up. Also, we had failed the first electrical inspection because there was something left underneath the tub. Then when we went up into the attic and saw what had happened and showed it to the inspector, he failed it again. We can't even get into our attic because the wires are sitting on top of all of our stuff. That was the end of April. We only want to see the guy with the license. We don't wanna see these guys that just come in here and do whatever. Nicole who was the one that we've been talking to with the inspection said that the guy wasn't coming back from vacation until yesterday. We are waiting for it to pass inspection.

Original review: May 20, 2022

The installation team of my Safe Step tub were pleasant and it took them two days to do the job. The tub takes a long time for it to fill up, but it's okay.

Original review: May 19, 2022

I interviewed two people, Safe Step and Kohler. Kohler was 10,000 more expensive than Safe Step. When the guy came out, he gave us a video. Safe Step is made here locally in the United States. The other big key is that as long as we own the house, it's a lifetime warranty. Safe Step is also a little smaller, which is better for our 98-year-old mother. They did a wonderful job. I was happy from the person who came to the house and sold us on the tub to the guys that installed it. The company was absolutely wonderful. Everybody was very knowledgeable and they did exactly what they said they would do.

They had the tub installed within the day and it works great. We didn't have to do anything on the walls because the tile was still good. Since they took this oversized tub out of there and put this Safe Step one in there, we're able to have more shelf room in there. We flipped the door around when it was on the other side. The installers worked with me wherever we wanted to put it and it was perfect. It went well.

My mother loves the tub. She is not scared to get in it but she's scared that she'll mess up shutting the door and she has arthritis. I help her in and out of it. I'm very happy that we went ahead and did that because she was only sponge bathing once a month. Now I get by there to give her a bath once a week. I wish she would get used to it to take a bath more often.

Original review: May 18, 2022

Safe Step contacted me after the tub was installed to make sure everything was okay. We did have one tiny glitch, and they took care of that right away. I had done some research and determined that Safe Step would be the best purchase, the safest, and the best one for our needs. My experience was far better than I had expected. The installers were a little bit earlier than I had thought they would be. They were going to sit outside and wait. So, I hurried so that they could come in. My husband's disabled, and I wanted to get him out of the bathroom before they could come in and install the tub. They were apologetic, kind, caring, and helpful. The installation took so much shorter a time than I had anticipated. Now that the tub is finished, my husband is so secure. He can hold on to the high walls. He can go right in and sit down. There are lots of grab bars. The tub makes all the difference in the world in our lives.

Original review: May 17, 2022

There was no pressure, but great explanations and information sharing about the Safe Step tub. I was excited about it when I saw it, but especially for my husband who is disabled. They sold me and my husband, and he's hard to sell. My husband's afraid of falling and has difficulty getting in the shower, and this was an alternative for him that he could enjoy. It has so much to offer, and I’m really happy with it. I like the way the colors come on the water. The lights, the voice, and the sound, I just like it. It's a great and relaxing experience.

Safe Step gave us exercises to try, and my husband is trying some of them. He puts on his swimsuit, and my daughter helps him into the tub. We have a pool at our home that he won't get in now because he’s afraid. He can swim, but not now. He gets in the Safe Step tub every other night, and the water is really helping him, especially since he has developed an autoimmune skin disease called bullous pemphigoid, which puts blisters on his extremities. He experiences lots of itching too. Now, the blisters are starting to dry up. The water is so relaxing to him, beating up against his legs and arms. He just loves it.

The reps told me our door had to be pushed in and it was doing fine, and then it got too tight. It was also making a loud squeaking sound like it was gonna break, and it would have had I not called then. Safe Step sent someone right out, and the guy fixed it. Not only does the door open inward, it can open outward too. He did a great job with it.

Original review: May 16, 2022

The installers took the old tub out and put the new one in. The tub was a little bit high-priced. But I like the jets and the bubble bath. The thing I don’t like is it's too small. They gave me the dimensions but I didn't realize till I went to get in there and used it how small it was. Also, dirt clings to the tub, even after I wipe it down after I get out of the bath or the shower.

Original review: May 15, 2022

They did a good job. The shower is nice. It was a little expensive, but that's okay because I had to get it.

Original review: May 14, 2022

Purchasing the Safe Step was easy. At first, when I signed the contract, I didn't hear from them for a couple of weeks which got me worried that I had contacted the wrong company. But once they called and got things rolling, it went smoothly. The installer was good about what he was doing. He had to remove a doorway in order to get the tub in there. I was happy with how things went. I was totally satisfied.

Original review: May 13, 2022

I like the tub, but the salesman was not honest and even with great credit the financial company he used is terrible. The interest rate is 7.9% which will cause the tub to actually cost $35 thousand with the payment schedule. The salesman told me that my 40 gallon water heater would be fine, knowing full well that the tub takes 85 gallons to be able to use the jets. He also said payments would be deferred for 4 months. The financial company said 3 months, but of course started charging interest immediately, so at $50 per month interest, I don't feel it was actually deferred. I don't have space for a bigger water heater so I had to go with tankless, which including installation cost me $4,500. I am disabled and thought the tub would help me but all it has done is cause me financial stress. Unless you are wealthy, I do NOT recommend buying this tub!

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Information